Whispers are as Loud as a Shout by MissMerlot
Past Featured StorySummary:

How Michael's machinations finally left him all alone.


Categories: QAF US, Reader's Choice Award Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Michael
Genres: Angst w/ Happy Ending, Hurt/Comfort
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: Waking with Enemies
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 119405 Read: 163712 Published: Sep 03, 2016 Updated: Dec 05, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Banner by samcdee.

Brian and Justin are still together though Justin stays in NYC but only for his shows, they live at Britin and have kept the loft.  Melanie, Lindsey and the kids are still in Toronto but in regular contact with both Brian and Michael.  Gus and Jenny regularly visit Pittsburgh but are older in this story… Gus is 14 and Jenny Rebecca is 12.

1. Chapter 1 by MissMerlot

2. Chapter 2 by MissMerlot

3. Chapter 3 by MissMerlot

4. Chapter 4 by MissMerlot

5. Chapter 5 by MissMerlot

6. Chapter 6 by MissMerlot

7. Chapter 7 by MissMerlot

8. Chapter 8 by MissMerlot

9. Chapter 9 by MissMerlot

10. Chapter 10 by MissMerlot

11. Chapter 11 by MissMerlot

12. Chapter 12 by MissMerlot

13. Chapter 13 by MissMerlot

14. Chapter 14 by MissMerlot

15. Chapter 15 by MissMerlot

16. Chapter 16 by MissMerlot

17. Chapter 17 by MissMerlot

Chapter 1 by MissMerlot

 

1 - A SINGLE WHISPER IN THE AIR NOT TOO LOUD BUT IT'S THERE...

 

SUMMER 2012

 

MEL AND LINDSAY'S HOUSE

 

MEL:

 

I rolled my eyes as I could see Gus come to a halt at his bedroom door, his face set in a scowl and the angry blush coming up his neck.

 

"Why? Why are you going through my phone?!" Gus shouts and Jenny drops the phone in surprise, it hits the side of the desk shattering the screen.

 

"Wha... how long have you been standing there?"

 

"Oh, for fuck sake look what you've done!" He bellows, picking his phone up and advancing on Jenny who wisely scoots towards me.

 

"If you hadn't made me jump, I wouldn't have dropped the phone!"

 

"Gus watch your language!" I shout at him as Lindsay comes in trying to placate an about to explode Gus.

 

"Are you actually kidding me right now?! She was in MY room checking MY private phone..."

 

"Lambskin..." Lindsay begins soothingly while glaring at me... okay; I am not helping matters... "It can be repaired, but right now you need to calm down and let her explain."

 

"Well... I just wanted to know when he was going to see Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin so..."

 

"When I go to see MY fathers, it is none of YOUR business!"

 

The heavy sigh Linds lets out reverberates around the room. Gus has been getting progressively unhappy for months and if I am honest Jenny is not helping by behaving like this but he should not have sworn and shouted at her, he could've handled this a lot calmer, when he's like this I can't stop seeing his father.

 

"Look, Gus, I just want to see my dads' as well so we might as well make one trip to..."

 

"It makes sense Gus... come on stop being such a spoiled brat! Jenny, he's going next weekend it will be fine, right Gus? In fact, why don't we all go?"

 

Gus looks between the three of us, his mouth drops open before he blinks rapidly and heads toward the door, stopping briefly, he snarls, "How come she can take after her father, but I can't?!"

 

TORONTO AIRPORT - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

The silence in the car was deafening. Not only was Gus not speaking to Jenny, but he was also not speaking to his mothers. His earphones were firmly in his ears and as he had also inherited his dad's long legs, he used them to his advantage, stalking ahead of them towards the gates as they tried to keep up with him. Once cleared they settled in the first-class lounge and once again Lindsay tried to reason with her son.

 

LINDS:

 

"Gus please..." I pulled his earphones out earning a glare worthy of his father as he put it back in and moved away from me.

 

"What are we going to do Mel? We can't solve the problem if he doesn't talk to us!"

 

"Well, if he had just told Jenny when he was going, his phone would not have broken!"

 

Unfortunately, for Mel she hadn't taken into that just because his earphones were in doesn't mean that the music was on, bopping his head he continued to listen.

 

"But at least he got a brand-new phone out of it, he should be thanking her, the screen should just have been fixed but no he had to get a brand-new phone!"

 

Jenny decided to join the conversation.

 

"Exactly!"

 

Out of the corner of her eye, Mel watched as Gus slowly stood up and went to the desk.

 

"Wonder what he's doing?" Mel murmured.

 

"More sulking," Jenny replied.

 

Gus retook his seat and a few minutes later, the flight was called and we went to board. After a while, it became clear what Gus had been doing, he had changed seats and was no longer sitting with us.

 

"Oh, for fuck sake!" Mel griped. "You have got to be kidding me!"

 

"Mel please, can we just get through this and hope that at least he's in arrivals with our luggage waiting with Justin!"

 

Mercifully, it was a quiet flight after that, maybe we just needed time apart to all cool down.

 

I heaved a sigh of quiet relief when I spotted the familiar blond head of Justin, his sunshine smile in full effect, he had come in from NYC and waited for us, he frowned when he saw no Gus.

 

"Where's Gus?"

 

"Sulking." Jenny snarked.

 

"Jenny, you are not helping!" I snapped, having finally reached the end of my tether with her and her sigh of exasperation reminded me of her father and not in a good way.

 

"Oh, there he is," I breathed in relief.

 

Justin looked at Gus and his frown deepened - I could see him struggling to compose himself as they hugged and I watched Gus mouth "not now" at him then we followed him to the car.

 

BRITIN - EARLY EVENING

 

BRIAN:

 

Michael, Ben, Hunter, and I are in the lounge, waiting for them to arrive, the beam is taking the edge off my excitement. It's been a month since Justin has been home and a week since we last touched. I glanced briefly at them, loathed to take my eyes off the driveway, Ben looked a little tense and Hunter looked bored, Michael was practically vibrating with pleasure.

 

"I can't wait to see my little JR..." he trilled. "It's going to be great just us real parents and kids."

 

"Real parents?" Ben and I echoed, with Ben looking at Hunter who shrugged.

 

I let out the breath I had been holding when I saw the car pull up and my Sunshine's smile.

 

"Finally," I sighed happily.

 

We headed out to help them with their cases, Michael stopped short causing Hunter to run into the back of him.

 

"Dude!" He griped, as he walked around him rolling his eyes, he fist-bumped with Gus and grabbed one of the girls' cases.

 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Michael stared at Justin surprised.

 

"I live here, remember, he bought it for me..." Justin muttered, rolling his eyes.

 

"I meant I thought you were in New York... I."

 

"Michael, let's get inside, I am sure Linds and Mel could do with a drink and something to eat" Ben nudged him forward as he spoke.

 

"Absolutely. Uh, Jenny, you don't need to take all of your cases in, just the small bag." Linds called out.

 

"Huh?" Jenny said. "I thought I was staying here?"

 

"Only tonight honey," Mel said. "You are going to be spending the rest of the weekend with us at the loft before going to your dad's."

 

"Okay, I guess. But hey, at least there's no spoiled sulking brothers there!" She cut her eye at Gus.

 

He stopped, swallowed hard, and stalked indoors, taking only his cases with him.

 

Justin came into my arms and I happily sank into the warm honeyed depths of his mouth and I carded my fingers through his hair. He moaned and stood on tiptoes turning his head to deepen the kiss while grinding his hips into mine. I pulled his lower lip into my mouth alternatively sucking on it or swiping with my tongue, he groaned loudly, I moaned as he snuck his hands under my shirt and scraped his nails along the sides of my waist then pulled me into a tight hug.

 

"Must you!" Michael snarked.

 

Finally having to come up for air, Justin shouted at his retreating back.

 

"Yes, we must!"

 

I chuckled at Michael's petulance and tightened my embrace.

 

"So something is up with Gus" he murmured into my chest "he looks on the verge of tears."

 

I kissed the top of my favorite blond's head then I pulled him inside. Gus went straight upstairs and I followed, giving Justin a quick squeeze.

 

"Hey, Sonnyboy, what no hug for your old man, I am hurt" I teased him but my smile faded when I saw his face. "Gus, what is it, what's wrong?"

 

"Can we talk about it later; I don't want to be around them right now."

 

I nodded and took a step with my arms open and he barreled into my chest taking heaving breaths. I rubbed soothing circles on his back and eventually, his breathing steadied before he let go and got back to unpacking.

 

Justin pressed another glass of beam into my hand when I rejoined them. I kissed his temple muttering later then pulled him with me to our favorite chair and settled him on my lap as he tucked his head under my chin. Michael sighed and rolled his eyes.

 

The girls came in chattering away with Mel and Linds having helped themselves to a large glass of white each.

 

"Where's Gus?" Ben asked.

 

"Still unpacking, not sure he'll be down for a while," I replied.

 

Mel rolled her eyes as did Jenny. Justin and I too exchanged a look; clearly there was trouble in Muncherville.

 

I took a deep swallow enjoying the warmth in my lap, he slowly sat up, licked a stray drop from my bottom lip and then swiped my cupid's bow before he resettled himself smirking. I shifted slightly under him and he giggled.

 

Linds sighed and was about to say something but I shook my head at her, determined to speak to Gus first before I heard anybody else's side.

 

"Did I smell food, is there something cooking, I am a bit hungry?" She asked, heading to the kitchen.

 

"Yeah, Alice left some fried chicken in the oven and fixings in the fridge. She said it should be done in about an hour and that time is almost up. If you guys want to go ahead and eat you can, I will eat with Gus; same for you, Justin?"

 

Justin nodded and smiled up at me, snuggling deeper into my embrace. The girls headed to the kitchen with Hunter on their tail, if there's food you will quickly find Hunter, I thought to myself not as fast as you would Justin, and even though he was still a mouthy little shit we are both very fond of him and he and Gus had become close over the years.

 

"Fixings? Did you just say fixings?" Justin teased, licking another wayward drop of the beam.

 

"Shush twat! How was the prep for the show?"

 

"Good, I have a couple more to finish, that won't take more than a couple of weeks, and then I am home until Thanksgiving apart from the show."

 

"You aren't overworking your hand like last time?"

 

"Brian..."

 

"I know, I know but I am being purely selfish, I am hoping for a massage and you give me a better one with your right..." I grinned wolfishly at him.

 

"Brian!" Justin blushed and slapped me in the chest and Ben chuckled quietly.

 

Michael snorted into his glass, I narrowed my eyes at him, as he coughed and spluttered.

 

"Went down the wrong way" he croaked and winced slightly as Ben thumped him on the back.

 

"Okay, so what did you want to talk to me about Mikey?"

 

He shook his head.

 

"Oh nothing. It can wait."

 

"Why, you gave me the impression that it was important last night, what with the urgent whispering."

 

Again, he shook his head. Ben fixed him with a hard stare and folded his arms. Justin looked at them and then tapped my glass. I nodded and he untangled himself and went to the cart.

 

"I wasn't whispering, I was just talking quietly."

 

Ben was now starting to glower.

 

"Mikey, come on..."

 

"Nothing, as I said Bri, it can wait..."

 

"Look I am going to be busy with Gus and Justin, after dinner tomorrow, we have plans from Sunday for the next week at least so just spit it out for fuck sake."

 

He shifted in his seat not looking at me, I looked at Justin, whose lips had tightened as did the grip on the glass.

 

"You want money, don't you?"

 

Michael looked at him angrily and stood up, his face full of petulance.

 

"I'm asking my best friend to..."

 

"No, Michael..."

 

Michael looked sharply at Ben; it would seem that Muncherville is not the only place with problems.

 

"He's my best friend, he doesn't mind..."

 

"I mind, Michael, me! Remember me? Your husband!"

 

"We," Justin stated firmly.

 

"What?" Michael barked.

 

"We hold everything jointly, so if you're asking Brian, then you would need to get my agreement too, so how much do you want?"

 

Michael snorted again.

 

"What the fuck did you have to do to get him to agree to that? Brian, were you high, drunk or both?!"

 

I took the glass from Justin's hand; he was squeezing it so tightly I thought it would break. He leaned back into my chest and I took a sip of the beam and mentally counted to ten while I savored the burn.

 

"We asked you a question, Mikey. How much do you want from us and what do you want it for?"

 

Ben sighed heavily, rubbing his temples.

 

"See Ben, I told you that you were making a big fuss over nothing! Roughly, $300,000 to help towards Hunter's college and refurbishing the store," Michael replied and gave his best puppy dog eyes at me.

 

At that moment, Hunter came in, he was gnawing on a bone and once it was picked clean, he swallowed happily.

 

"What's all the fucking noise about and what about my college?"

 

"Nothing," Michael said quickly, looking at Ben.

 

Hunter and Ben exchanged looks. The silence stretched on.

 

"Look, we've discussed this. If I live to go, I'm going to pay my way. Besides, I will qualify for scholarships, well, I presume so, I haven't done much research, but I will..."

 

Justin looked at me and I nodded, letting him take the lead in this conversation.

 

"Hunter, we would be honored to help with your education, consider it a gift, if you don't use it for college then use it for whatever you want. You are a mouthy little shit but you are our mouthy little shit. Michael, you will need to set up a repayment plan for the remainder and those payments will go towards a college fund for Jenny - we will get Ted to invest that for you, that way you are paying for her college and obviously you wouldn't miss a payment..."

 

"How did you come up with that?" I tipped his head up and looked into the blue eyes I love so much.

 

"My thoughts exactly!" Michael muttered.

 

"Ben, is this something you can live with? I mean the repayment schedule as you don't get a choice with Hunter, please, just so we can end this?" I asked him.

 

Ben smiled, nodded and blinked a few times as did Hunter; giving himself a quick shake Hunter announced he's still hungry so he and Ben head back to the kitchen, we pretend not to hear the sniff or watch him lean into Ben as they disappear from view.

 

"You know I asked once before and I ask again... when did you become such a clever devil?" I asked Justin nuzzling his ear before kissing that spot that he loves so much.

 

He shivered and ground his ass into my crotch, I growled and tightened my arms around him.

 

"But Brian..." Michael began to whine again.

 

Justin stiffened and glared at him.

 

"Oh, my fucking God! I have just realized what you were planning! If I wasn't here like you thought and Brian said yes you would've just waltzed off with the money knowing Brian would never have asked for it back! You do realize that that would never have worked! Even if he got the money from his own private account! I would still have insisted on a repayment schedule?!"

 

"So you don't have a partnership on everything..." Michael smarmed, though his victory was marred by the guilty look in his eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose as the headache started to make its presence felt.

 

"Jesus fucking Christ! You weren't asking for fifty bucks... for fuck... I'm going to see Gus!"

 

And with that, I gave Justin the glass, turned heel and took the stairs two at a time, needing to get as far away from my best friend as possible.

 

JUSTIN:

 

I finished off the drink taking great pleasure in the flare of annoyance in his eyes as I placed my lips where Brian's had been.

 

"Don't be obtuse, Michael, he still would've told me, but once again, you've got what you wanted, but not quite how you wanted, hmmm? Well, if you don't like the terms, go to a bank, see how far that gets you. Now, I am going to see what the hell is wrong with my son!"

 

I gave him one more dirty look and walked away, pausing slightly when I saw Ben in the doorway. He smiled apologetically at me but I patted him on the arm and headed up to Gus' room.

 

BEN:

 

I don't normally drink the hard stuff but Michael had pushed me to the nth degree but of course, he couldn't just keep quiet.

 

"Well, thanks for your support! Do you know how much you humiliated me by not backing me up?!"

 

"I never supported you in this and I didn't embarrass you, that was you and your idiotic sense of entitlement!

Now let's go eat something!"

 

And with that, I stalked out of the room not caring if he followed or not.

 

JUSTIN:

 

I took a deep breath and knocked on Gus' door and made my way in, the sight made my heart stop, father and son were on the bed with Gus staring at the floor with tears brimming but not falling as Brian stroked his hair.

 

"Gus, please just tell us whatever it is, just tell us."

 

His voice was thick with emotion, I swallowed hard. Brian nudged him gently.

 

"Come on, Sonnyboy..."

 

"I just wanted this one time to be us..." he murmured. "Just you, me, and Papa here alone."

 

I sat on the bed and took his wrist stroking the back of his hand.

 

"But like always, she comes with and like always, is mostly staying here, but this time they are here too and I..."

 

"She being, Jenny?" I asked gently.

 

He nodded and took a deep breath; Brian wiped away the tear that rolled down our son's cheek.

 

"Do you know that's how my phone broke? She was trying to find out when I was coming and I startled her and she dropped it, but of course, mama said that if I had just told her what she wanted to know, it wouldn't have happened!"

 

"Why did she want to know when you were coming?" I asked.

 

"So she could phone her dad and let him know, so that he would casually mention it to dad so he doesn't have to pay for the ticket for his daughter, and it happens every fuck... sorry, but it does and even when you guys are coming to Toronto... and then mama bitched about me getting a new phone, and I couldn't sit with them anymore so I didn't and..."

 

Brian pulled him firmly into his arms and finally, Gus let go and wept; we locked eyes and I saw anger... anger and tears.

 

"Gus, I think it would be good if you maybe have a nap and come down later okay? You want us to stay with you till you go to sleep?"

 

"No, I'll be okay, I will just wash my face and maybe read, you're not mad at me are you and I'm not spoiled, am I?"

 

Brian snorted and cuffed him gently across the chin before kissing the top of his head.

 

"Considering I would be the one doing the spoiling that would be a no. Later, Sonnyboy."

 

"Later, Dad."

 

BRIAN:

 

Justin wrapped his arms around me and buried his face into my chest.

 

"Poor Gus, the only time she's not been with him is when he comes to New York. I've always noticed how much happier he seemed in those visits; I had no idea this was why."

 

I raised his chin and saw the love he has for Gus clear as day.

 

"I know you always said that you don't do what you don't want to do but after today..."

 

"And I don't, Sunshine, this shit ends today."

 

All eyes turned to us when we came into the kitchen and conversation stopped.

 

"Where's Gus? He seemed really down earlier. Shall I go see him?" Hunter asked.

 

Justin smiled and nodded, chuckling slightly as Hunter snagged another piece of chicken on the way.

 

Linds cleared her throat and took a deep breath.

 

"Before you say anything, we've spoken to Gus. Tomorrow's dinner is canceled, we will tell everyone else but after today, we want to be alone with him."

 

Linds and Mel looked at each other dumbfounded.

 

"What? Did he tell you how he treated Jenny and how he's not been speaking to us for the last ten days? Well done asshole, reward bad behavior!" Mel bristled.

 

Justin snorted and ground his jaw.

 

"Oh, so it's okay for you to reward Jenny when she does wrong then?" I asked.

 

"What is this about?" Ben demanded.

 

"Well, there was a tiny disagreement between Gus and Jenny that..." Linds started.

 

"Tiny disagreement?" Justin snapped.

 

I looked across at Jenny who looked steadfastly at her plate and then at Michael and there it was again, that look of guilt in his eyes, and now it was joined by the defensive crossing of his arms across his chest.

 

"What tiny disagreement?" Ben looked at Jenny for an explanation.

 

"I broke his phone by accident - well just the screen, but he surprised me and he had a total meltdown over it, and if he had just answered the question it would not have..."

 

"Why were you checking his phone, Jenny, it's his phone. Supposing he did that to you, would you have liked it and then to have broken it as well, wouldn't you have had a meltdown?"

 

Justin and I exchanged looks; Ben was beginning to sound less Zen. Jenny shifted in her seat.

 

"Well, I wanted to know when he was coming to see Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin..."

 

"What for, what do his visits to his fathers have to do with your visits to us?"

 

Again, Jenny looked at her plate; I took a deep sip of my wine and continued.

 

"It was about Gus wanting to spend time with us alone, but not being able to because Jenny always comes."

 

"Are you saying that my daughter is not welcome here?" Mel snapped.

 

"No, he's not Mel and you know that! But you have to agree, considering they had this ‘tiny disagreement', it might have been best for them to have time apart?" Justin reasoned.

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Hunter come in and he did not look happy, so he and Gus had talked, he piled some chicken on a plate and headed back out, at least he was eating, which was more than I could say for Justin.

 

"Can you at least put on a vegetable, use napkins or cutlery...?" I hollered.

 

"That's what our fingers are for and he has an en suite!" He bellowed back.

 

Ben snickered and shook his head.

 

"I'm waiting for an answer Jenny," he turned back to her.

 

Michael stood and put his arms around Jenny's shoulders.

 

"I don't like the way you are talking to my daughter, Ben. I suggest you moderate your tone."

 

"Michael!" Linds and Mel said as one... for once.

 

Ben stood up and placed his napkin on the table, his hand trembling, and a look of hurt on his face, Justin was immediately by his side, murmuring something and whatever it was he said, he managed to persuade him to head back into the lounge, closing the door softly behind them.

 

"Papa, wait!" Jenny gasped and ran to the lounge.

 

I picked up some food, turned heel and went to join my Sunshine leaving Michael and the glowering Munchers to it.

 

MICHAEL:

 

Shit, I shouldn't have said that to him, but the way he was lecturing her like she was late with her homework was too much. And now I have to deal with the Munchers, well fuck that, I'm going up and will apologize to him in my own way and all will be fine.

 

"I'm going up now..."

 

"Michael..."

 

"No Mel, not now, I have to speak to Ben first. We will talk tomorrow now that, thanks to Gus, we have all this free time!"

 

I stomped upstairs passing Hunter on the way, heading for more food I suppose. Gus was in his doorway and I smiled at him, he didn't smile back.

 

LINDS:

 

"Well, this was fun! I never thought I would ever say this but I will be glad to get out of here tomorrow. And I cannot believe Jenny..."

 

"Neither can I and I didn't help matters either. Don't look at me like that. We'll take her to her fathers' tomorrow and we will have a nice little chat!"

 

"Justin was right. We shouldn't have come here you know or at least we should've gone straight to the loft and taken Jenny with us."

 

She nodded and sighed heavily. I took her into my arms, she softened a little. I know how hard it was for her to concede, especially when it comes to the Kinney men.

 

BEN:

 

Jenny's trying her best beseeching puppy dog look, it's not going to work.

 

"What you did was wrong, hurtful, unfair, and deceitful; you need to apologize."

 

"But Dad said that Uncle Brian doesn't mind. I'm sorry, Unc..."

 

"To Gus, Jenny, you need to apologize to Gus. Your father and I will discuss his part in this later. Now go to it. And then get ready for bed, we'll be leaving early in the morning."

 

JENNY:

 

Oh, shit papa looks really pissed! And Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin look so... disappointed in me... I head out taking the stairs slowly gives me time to think, okay, I should not have done the phone thing but it's not fair that he gets this place to himself all the time, okay it's not as if they treat me differently unlike the way dad does with Gus, I knock on the door, Hunter opens it he does not look friendly.

 

"What do you want?"

 

"To apologize to Gus."

 

"Off your own back or did you have to be told?" He hasn't budged from the door.

 

I have the good grace to look guilty and he scoffed and Gus cursed quietly.

 

"Wow, just wow."

 

The door was shut firmly in my face.

 

BEN:

 

I waved away Justin's offer of another drink and I get up to leave.

 

"Look, guys, I'm really sorry about all of this, if I had known what Jenny was doing..."

 

Brian quirked an eyebrow and drained his glass. He stood stretched and pulled Justin to him hard, he cupped his ass and gave it a squeeze, it was subtle but Justin arched upwards their eyes never leaving each other.

 

"You're not the one who should be apologizing, Ben," Justin demurred.

 

His hands clutched suddenly at Brian's shirt and their breath quickened.

 

"True enough. Well, um goodnight then."

 

I had barely made it to the first stair when I heard the lock click and the sound of a body being slammed against the door... hard.

 

I paused outside our bedroom then stepped inside. Michael was propped against the headboard naked, with a smile on his face and stroking his way down his chest. As I approached the bed, he crawled towards me then looped his arms around my neck stroking my hair and grinding his hips.

 

"However are we going to pass the time, professor?"

 

"Well, I'm going to go and use the bathroom, and when I come out..."

 

"Yes, professor..."

 

"You be naked elsewhere as I will be going to sleep!"

 

With that, I pulled his arms from me and slammed the bathroom door... hard.

 

JUSTIN:

 

He's sucking my tongue and my arms are above my head clasped in one hand the other is tugging frantically at my shirt, and a button pings off somewhere, his frantic grinding is almost pushing me through the door. He lets go of my wrists and kneads my scalp, the little groans and growls he's making make my cock twitch and swell, I don't think I am going to make it, another pull at my shirt, another button. He mouths my neck licking behind my ear.

 

"God, umm, wait, stop..."

 

"Please, baby, please don't make me stop, need you, need you so bad..."

 

My eyes start to flutter shut, Groaning. I push against him again as another button pings off. I feel his cock twitching against my abdomen as he grinds and tries to rip off my shirt and suck on my neck at the same time.

 

"Shirt, not the shirt, just God... oh God... oh... no seriously, let me take it off... uh, ah, not there wait just wait, please... oooh... uh... Prada suede last season!" I cry out.

 

He blinks at me, takes another deep breath, and starts to work on my jeans, licking and nipping at my thighs.

 

"Unhh... oh Jesus!

 

"Shirt off now!"

 

While trying to keep from cumming I had forgotten I was supposed to be getting naked but seeing him already so and his cock dripping spurred me into action. The cool wood made me squirm but all that was forgotten as he took me down whole, I arched upwards and reached down to grab his hair.

 

"Holy mother of..."

 

"Mmmm... lift your leg... lift your left leg onto my shoulder."

 

I did so and that pulled me deeper down his warm throat.

 

"Shiiiiiiiiiit! Fuck oh my God!"

 

He chuckled causing me to buck twice then spread my cheeks and despite having an idea what he was going to do when he hit my prostate I screamed and tugged hard at his hair.

 

"Oh God oh God! Not like this... need you, need you inside me!"

 

He ignored me and kept sucking and fingering.

 

"Please! Please! Oh please, Brian!"

 

He whirled me around and slammed into me, I pushed back loving the feeling of him every time.

 

"Bastard, mother fucking bastard!"

 

Bracing myself against the door, he lets go pounding into me with every word.

 

"Best. Friend. Like. Fuck. Bastard!"

 

He kicks my legs wider and tightens the grip on my hips, yep, they are going to be bruised and sitting down may be a problem later, wait, oh God did he just change angles! I shudder and claw at the door and a litany of curses come from him as he pistons in and out of me.

 

"Kiss me! Oh God, umph, uuuuhhh, kiss, oh-oh please!"

 

He leans forward and fuses his mouth to mine still pumping, then he stiffens and roars out my name, two seconds later I thrash in his arms, clawing the door, chanting his name, shuddering and then my world goes black.

 

I am not sure how long I was out for, but I'm being spooned in his arms on the rug in front of the fire. I feel him shaking, so I turn to face him, and he has tears in his eyes.

 

"Brian, I am so sorry, so sorry..."

 

He snorts and wipes his eyes and he's laughing not crying.

 

"What? What's so funny?"

 

"Two things. One, we are going to seriously have this room soundproofed, met Hunter in the kitchen raiding the chicken he said to keep it down and two, Prada suede last season really?!

 

I had the decency to blush.

 

"Well, it is!"

 

"Twat!"

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN:

 

We had a nice and gentle shower fuck before meeting everyone for breakfast. Hunter tsked and shook his head at us muttering about people being too old for this kind of thing. Ben chuckled, Mel and Linds rolled their eyes and Michael looked tired and seemed to be sulking.

 

"What's up with you, Mikey?" I asked.

 

"Nothing, just tired!"

 

Justin poured me some coffee, did my toast, and helped himself to the bacon and eggs warming in the oven. He sat down a little too quickly and winced; I snorted, he slapped me on the arm.

 

"Where's Gus and Jenny?" I asked Hunter.

 

"After I threatened to give him a wet Willy and not in his ear, they are having a long-overdue talk, you know about respecting each other's boundaries."

 

He kept his head down but we could see the blush creeping up his face, Ben patted his shoulder.

 

"Thanks, son." He murmured.

 

He nodded and continued to shovel food in his mouth but a small smile tugged at his lips. I knew that look, that's his... ‘I am going to throw you under the bus' look, I sat back in my seat with a smirk.

 

"You know, I don't know how Alice does it." He snorted.

 

They all looked at him in confusion... except for Justin he simply smiles back at me.

 

"Clean up after you two have finished, I mean seriously, how many condoms do you use a week roughly?"

 

"Hunter!" Ben exclaimed.

 

"What? They were at it all night and loud... so very loud!"

 

"Hunter, that's enough!" Michael snapped.

 

"None," I replied.

 

Hunter's jaw dropped as did everyone else's.

 

"None? You mean you guys are...?"

 

"Yep," Justin replied and continued to eat.

 

"What! When the fuck did this happen?" Michael snapped.

 

"Michael, as I have always said..." I began.

 

"He's not fucking you, so it's none of your business!" Ben snarled.

 

"Well done, Hunter!" Michael griped.

 

"What did I do? I simply asked the question; you're the one who queened out over it!"

 

Just then Gus and Jenny came in and although they were both looking a little red-eyed they did look happier.

 

"Dude, you good?" Hunter asked.

 

Gus smiled and nodded, he plopped down next to me and quirked an eyebrow. Oh yeah, my Sonnyboy is okay.

 

"Um Dad, Papa, would it be okay if..."

 

"Gus, I'm sorry, I handled this badly. I had no idea what was going on but that is a discussion for another time and place. Please, can you forgive me?" Mel asked.

 

Gus and Linds gawked at her before Gus simply nodded and she let out the breath she was holding.

 

"Um, uh, what were you going to ask, Gus?" Justin stuttered.

 

"Huh? Oh yeah, would it be okay if..."

 

"You want Jenny to stay here for the weekend?" Michael said.

 

"No, Uncle Michael, that's not what I was going to say. We would like to revise the visiting schedule. When one comes to the Pitts the other stays at home... but once a month, we both come here... and... and Hunter does too?"

 

Justin didn't even have to look at me.

 

"Sure."

 

"Great!"

 

"So, Jenny is staying here then?" Michael asked, confused. Ben let out a loud sigh.

 

"No Dad, I'm going with moms and you, Hunter is staying here."

 

"I am?"

 

Ben rose and again patted his shoulder.

 

"Yes, dude you are."

 

Michael looked around but could see he had no support so stomped upstairs.

 

"Guess you'll be heading off now?" I chuckled.

 

Ben rubbed the back of his neck tiredly.

 

"This is going to be a fuck of a long day!"

 

After they left Brian made good on his word and canceled the dinner. He told Ted about the loan to Michael and the gift to Hunter. Gus told his dads and Hunter exactly what he and Jenny discussed and their promise to each other to be honest when it came to their dads, while they could understand her jealousy they were still annoyed but Gus said it was over and wanted to move on, they were in a better place now and a good time was had by all in Britin...

 

...over at the Novotny-Bruckner's, a good time was not had by Michael. Jenny told them what she and Gus had discussed about her jealousy and their promise to each other. Being ripped a new one by Mel was bad enough over the way he manipulated Jenny but when Ben mentioned the money and the conditions attached, Mel was immediately on the phone to Ted inviting him and Blake for dinner to sort out the paperwork.

 

By Monday afternoon, they both had their money although Brian had to employ every intimidating stare in his repertoire to get Hunter to sign the forms.

 

Michael was still smarting, not only did had he been forced to pay the money back, completely dismissing that this is for Jenny, but Brian and Justin are now monogamous, well that is just not fair, how come the Stud and to his mind quite frankly Slut of Liberty Avenue has all the fucking, literally, luck!

 

TBC

 

End Notes:

This is my first fic.  It's a bit long chapter wise but I wanted to get as much back story as I could, other chapters might not be as long and the story will span a few years.  Please be constructive and kind, I have no beta and I think my tenses are off but if I didn't submit it now I never would!  Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 2 by MissMerlot

 

2 - AUTUMN DECEPTIONS...

 

OCTOBER 2013

 

NOVOTNY-BRUCKNER'S HOUSE

 

BEN:

 

Jesus, I do wish Michael would stop complaining every damn month about this loan, it's been over a year now let it the fuck go; does he have this memorized or something, it never varies and now with the pacing, the arm crossing, the only thing he's not done is stomped his foot and now the glaring, cue my turn to speak... I try to say the same thing every time, maybe this time he will let me finish or I am out $20 to Hunter.

 

"Michael, try and see this for what it is..."

 

"Boy wonder still doesn't understand his place in Brian's life..."

 

"He doesn't understand Michael..."

 

"Finally, someone agrees with me - he had no right! You've changed your tune..."

 

Hunter comes in, pauses mid-stride and rolls his eyes.

 

"Sarcasm dude, sarcasm."

 

He quirked an eyebrow and I give him the money, he grins, grabs his coat, shouts later and is out the door.

 

"Where's he going? And that's another thing that has pissed me off!"

 

"Hunter has annoyed you? What did Hunter do?"

 

"Nothing, really, it's just he doesn't seem to be very respectful to me, he's cockier, now that he has something..."

 

"He's the same Hunter he's always been. But back to the payment, how about this, how about I pay towards Jenny's college fund too, the same amount?"

 

I suddenly had my arms full of happy Michael, he kissed me soundly and exclaimed.

 

"This is why I married you! Oh, but wait, can we keep this between ourselves for now though, I know Mel and Ted know about my payment, but you know how I feel about people knowing our stuff. I've gotta go to the store, the work plans are shaping up nicely."

 

He skips out of the house and once more I find myself nodding into an empty space and wondering if he understands the irony of him not wanting people to know his business.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL:

 

No way, no fucking way! I got it! I got the Captain Astro! I got the full-size vintage Captain Astro statue! I cannot wait for it to get here so I can display it in its full glory! The ring of the bell above the door stops me from doing a happy dance and it's a good thing as it's Ma.

 

DEBBIE:

 

"Hi, honey, what's got you so pleased?" Is Ben behind there?!" She cackles.

 

She sets down the coffees she brought, not from the diner I notice, and looks around, she fails to hide her disappointment.

 

"What's wrong, Ma?"

 

"I thought you said you were going to do stuff with the store, you know, brighten it up and move things around... do that Shui Feng stuff people raved about."

 

"Feng Shui mother. And I will be doing stuff but I'm busy with other things and I want it to be done just perfectly... and you can't rush perfection."

 

She nods but doesn't look convinced, running her hands over the counter.

 

"Yeah, but you can dust..."

 

I mentally grind my teeth and just about stop myself from rolling my eyes. Luckily my response is stopped by a customer coming in for the latest Spiderman so I serve him and was about to ask her if she actually wanted something, not that I wasn't grateful for the coffee, when she gasps.

 

"Holy fuck please tell me you are not going to buy this?!"

 

"What? No of course not, I was just surfing around..."

 

"$15,000 for that. You know what they say about a fool and their money will soon be parted."

 

I nod and mumble my agreement before turning to ask what she wanted when Ben came in.

 

"Hey, sweetheart, how're you doing?"

 

"Fine, Deb, just fine. Michael got you running the till these days now?"

 

"Ha! No, I just dropped off some coffee on my way to the diner, you know I don't touch the stuff in there, not now that Justin has turned me onto that new place..."

 

"Ooh, you too? Which one do you get, the one with the hint of chocolate or the one with vanilla...?"

 

"Vanilla, I just don't know how he manages to find these places. Though that being said, Carl's been saying we might as well if we just get a bag of coffee and some vanilla and make our own it would save us..."

 

"As much as I would love to hear you singing the praises of Justin's ability to find coffee like some bloodhound, was there something you wanted Ben?"

 

They look at each other, okay that was a bit snippy I suppose, but enough with the all praise Justin for crying out loud!

 

"You left your phone behind." He replied, handing it to me.

 

He takes a deep sniff of the coffee and sighs appreciatively.

 

"Anyway, I am going to go back and grade papers; Deb you want me to walk you anywhere?"

 

"Such a gentleman, no honey I am okay just going to the Diner for my shift. Oh, by the way, I saw Hunter earlier, he was looking at a suit, an actual suit!"

 

"What the hell would he need a suit for?" I asked.

 

Ben rolled his eyes at me.

 

"College interviews, remember, they start soon."

 

"Wait, he's going to college, where, when, how? Did you guys win the lottery and keep it to yourselves?"

 

"You could say he had a windfall of some description..." Ben smiles.

 

"Yeah, Super Justin strikes again," I mutter.

 

"Huh, Michael, what? Windfall Ben, what windfall?"

 

"A Brian and Justin shaped one... they gave him the money, well Justin insisted and Brian agreed, and said it was not up for discussion."

 

Ma is for once rendered speechless. Then tears filled her eyes.

 

"They did, when?"

 

"When..."

 

Again, I am saved by the bell this time it is a good few people.

 

"I would rather not discuss our personal family business in front of customers..."

 

They both nod, Ben waves his goodbyes to us as he heads out; Ma got caught in the crowd and couldn't join him, but she taps my cheek before she goes.

 

"They did that just like that? You know they really bring out the best in each other."

 

She headed out shaking her head and wiping her eyes, I say nothing.

 

LIBERTY AVENUE

 

HUNTER:

 

Okay so that was a bust, not going to get anything in there. I cannot believe it; me, I'm going to college! I know I have to get a suit but with my frame, nothing really fits right and I want to look right. I think I am going to get something to eat and then try again, maybe food will help my focus.

 

"Hey honey, what will it be?" Kiki asks as I sit down.

 

"Bacon cheeseburger with fries, onion rings, and a double chocolate shake... oh and an egg on the burger, sunny side up."

 

I hadn't heard Brian come up behind me.

 

"Seriously, where the hell do you put all of that, you are built like a piece of string... skinniness is wasted on some people!"

 

"Duuuuuude! What are you trying to do, kill me?" I shriek, almost leaping out of my seat.

 

"No, you eating all the crap will do the job for me?"

 

"Don't get your hopes up on getting your money back; it goes to Ben or the Vic Grassi House in the event of my death..."

 

He snorts and settles down next to me, ordering his dry as dust food; he quirked an eyebrow at me and smirks.

 

"Speaking of Ben, I saw him earlier. What have you been up to today?"

 

I could feel the blush creeping up my face.

 

"Nothing, well not nothing, I was..."

 

He hands me over a card.

 

"Go there, tell them I sent you and get two of them, one black, one blue, white shirts, one black tie, socks... fuck that, let me call them to tell them what you need. And wait a while before you go see them so that you can digest that abomination you call a meal."

 

He takes out his phone and makes the call, asking me while giving instructions what time I could be there. I say around three, he nods, grabs his food and is gone.

 

"What the hell just happened?" I asked Kiki.

 

"That was him not giving a damn. Wait till he doesn't give a fuck just ask Ted what that feels like."

 

BEN:

 

I know I should be grading papers but I just can't get Brian out of my head, his face, when I told him where Hunter was trying for a suit, was a picture. I know he'll do right by him and help him out. Michael and I would be of no use, well Michael especially, as much as I love him, I do think that at his age he should not be wearing comic book tees and jumpers that look like his mother dressed him, actually scratch that, he looks like my mother dressed him, what is his thing about having sleeves that cover his knuckles?

 

Hopefully next month, we won't be subjected to the loan moan... I could swear once I could see Hunter counting down to the exact minute he started! I suppose I should set up that payment, not sure if I should do it to him or to the account directly, I will ask Ted, I think.

 

"Ted, hi, it's Ben, I'm good and are you and Blake all fine? Good, good. Um listen, I want to contribute to the college fund for Jenny, how much is the loan repayment. Okay, I'll set that up. Can we do a manual payment to them and then I set up the mandate from next month? We can, that's great thanks Ted, yeah if you give me the details... uh-huh, uh-huh, yep got it, can you let me know when it reaches them? Thanks, Ted. Bye see you, take care."

 

Right, that's that. Back to the grindstone of paper grading.

 

MICHAEL:

 

That was too close for words. Though I don't know what I am worried about, the money is already mine and counts as a store enhancement.

 

HUNTER:

 

Seriously this much for a shirt, it's a shirt! And I do wish this guy would watch where he's sticking those damn pins, he jabs me in the thigh one more time I shall pop him in the head.

 

"How's it going?" drawled a familiar voice.

 

I look at him as if to say, ‘how the fuck do you think it's going?' He did have the decency to not laugh at my expression.

 

"Let's see what you have picked out so far."

 

He picked through the hangers nodding at some and frowning at others.

 

"I feel like a mannequin..."

 

"Please, sir could you keep still?" The tailor muttered with his mouth full of pins.

 

The door opened again and this time it was Justin, he smiled at me and we rolled our eyes at each other in exasperation.

 

"Can you tie a tie?" Brian asked.

 

"What do you think?" I replied.

 

Justin snorted into his coffee, earning a glare from Brian, he blushed a bit and looked away.

 

"What? You don't know how to tie on a tie either?"

 

"I can, just not the way some people deem perfect!" Justin muttered.

 

"He can tie one on perfectly in other ways just not in that," Brian smirked.

 

"Um, Hunter, what the hell is this?" Brian asked, pointing at my phone.

 

"My cell..."

 

"Uh, like fuck, I have seen cells before and that is not it. You are not putting that skanky thing in these designer clothes, Sunshine, can you get him something more fitting to go with these suits and do you have a briefcase?"

 

"What do I need one for, it's not as if..."

 

"I find it's easier and quicker just to let him do what he deems necessary to do when it comes to looking good..."

 

"Good advice, bab... Justin. And you'd do well to heed his words and ignore what I was about to say."

 

I nod sagely and after throwing a helpless look at Justin, who went to sort my phone, the rest of the time was better than I expected, though it took forever. Justin came back with the latest gadget and finally, we were done, though when Justin picked up a couple of shirts that he liked they were immediately put back by Brian with a firm no fucking way.

 

"But they are the only two in my size..." Justin was channeling his inner Mikey.

 

Brian scowled, shook his head again, Justin sighed heavily and I stifled my snort.

 

"Is there much adjustment to be made and how long will it take?" He asked the tailor.

 

"Not too much, I should be done by Friday, the latest Saturday."

 

I tapped Justin on the arm, he frowned at me as I whispered.

 

"I don't have a credit or debit card."

 

"You're kidding right?"

 

"No, can he total it up and I pay it when I collect?"

 

"No, you misunderstand, you are not paying, there is no way he will let you do that..."

 

"But what about the phone?"

 

"I won't let you do that."

 

He moved back to join Brian, then stands in front of the till, effectively blocking my view of the total.

 

"That's not as bad as I thought it would be." He murmured.

 

"That's just his, I thought you knew me..." He kissed the top of his head.

 

"Of course! What was I thinking? When will yours be ready?"

 

"Same time, Gus is up this weekend so Hunter, why not come over for the weekend and you guys can hang out."

 

I just nodded mutely... yeah, Brian Kinney really is an ‘asshole'.

 

WOODY'S

 

JUSTIN:

 

I think I grow to love Brian a little more each day. He's currently at the bar getting our drinks and yay, he's got a food disc! This means one thing, either wings or onion rings, but if I am very lucky, it will be both when he comes back to the booth and slides in opposite me smiling.

 

"Both."

 

I scrunch my nose up at him and wiggle my foot out of my trainer and start sliding my toes up his calf. He pauses in mid-sip and gives me a shit-eating grin and I feel his foot rubbing along my ankle. How the hell does he get clothes off so quickly?

 

"Hey, guys!"

 

We are startled out of our foot roaming when we are joined by Ben, I lower my foot in disappointment, but he doesn't, he just keeps smiling at me.

 

"How are you doing, professor?" He asks.

 

"Great. Much better than Hunter though, what did you do to the boy?" Ben chuckles.

 

"What didn't he do?" Hunter griped coming up behind him with Michael and their drinks.

 

Michael slides in next to Brian with Ben next to me and Hunter next to Ben, I squeeze his foot between my calves to stop him from going further, he continues to advance up my leg... oh, Jesus, he's not serious... I tighten my calves harder and glare at him.

 

"What're you guys talking about?" Michael asks.

 

Brian snickers at the expression on my face, turning to Michael, he explains.

 

"I helped Hunter prepare for his future by introducing him to the joys of proper clothing and accessories."

 

Michael glances at Hunter, who I have to admit he does look a bit tired.

 

"Three hours, three fucking hours! How do you do that as a hobby..."

 

"Hey, sweeties, what are you talking about?" Trills Emmett scooting a chair to join us.

 

The food arrives distracting everyone for a minute, Brian signals for another round of food and orders a Cosmo for Emmett.

 

"I had the Brian Kinney experience..."

 

"Oooh, the BKE, well since I know that they are each other's one and only, I am going to go with, it's shopping, am I right?"

 

Hunter nods wearily and Emmett chuckles.

 

"You have to admit though, that he does it very well... that suit and leather jacket he insisted I buy almost two years ago still look brand new. Although I did have to have a brandy afterward and a lie-down."

 

"Brandy? Hey, can I have one, brandy is good for shock, right?" Hunter asks hopefully.

 

"No. Nice try though," Ben replied, shoving him gently.

 

Brian's foot is now at my knee, I lower my hand and give his toes a firm squeeze he winces a bit and stills his foot, and I heave a silent sigh of relief, just as I reach for a wing his foot advances again. I mouth no at him, he pretends not to notice.

 

"You went shopping with Brian?" Michael is incredulous.

 

"Why so surprised, Michael?" Emmett turns to him, his tone slightly sharp.

 

"I just wouldn't have put the two of you together as shopping buddies..."

 

"Well, when I started my business, I needed a suit and who better to ask than the God of Clothes himself? You have to admit that he does look good, even when he's dressed down, he looks better than most people..." he trails off casting a quick glance at Michael.

 

I snicker and then cough as his foot starts to rub along my inner thigh. Even through my jeans and his sock I feel the heat and take a steadying breath.

 

"So tell me, what did you get?" Emmett asks Hunter.

 

"NFI. I just stood there, got pricked and not in a good way and then was shoved out the door!"

 

"NFI? What the heck does that mean?" Ben queries.

 

"Depends on the context, it could be no fucking idea or not fucking invited." Brian drawls.

 

Everyone looks at him in surprise.

 

"What? I speak ‘Hunter'."

 

"You know Brian, you and I have never been shopping, why not?" Michael queried.

 

Brian's foot stilled in surprise, for once I was thanking Michael; Brian is so going to pay for this.

 

"Mmmph?" Hunter stopped chewing and looked at Michael like he had two heads.

 

"We don't appreciate the same style of clothing, Mikey."

 

"Well neither do Emmett or Hunter but you've been shopping with them..."

 

"Yes... but do you need a suit for what you do?"

 

Michael frowns, we wait, all of us, no doubt, thinking about how this is a hard question to answer.

 

"What the fuck would I need a suit for, I own a comic book store..."

 

"Now you know why you and he have never shopped together," Emmett replied.

 

Ben cocks an eyebrow at me and smirks, he moves the wing bucket between us, then casts his eyes downwards.

 

Ah, he could see Brian's foot firmly embedded in my crotch stroking lazily from side to side, the stroking stops and he begins to palpate his toes. Ben leans a bit more on the table and winks at Brian... bastard! Brian reaches over and takes an onion ring, bites slowly into it and sucks out the onion in one slippery slurp, then puts the batter ring down, licks the grease slowly off his fingers. I am transfixed, his eyes flash and he gives me a cheeky wink.

 

Bastard, I mouth at him. I try to calm my breathing down and keep still as my cock starts to throb and fill. Oh God, I look pleadingly at him, he pulls his foot back a bit and I have a sigh of relief, albeit a short-lived one as his toes move lower down and start wiggling against my head, I feel the coolness of my pre-cum pooling in my jeans as his toes move relentlessly back and forth.

 

"So are we going to play or what?"

 

Emmett spotted that the pool table was about to come free, and started to head that way. I could just kiss him, but then Brian stops him.

 

"Glass of champagne, Emmett, in fact, why not get a bottle on me?"

 

"Ooh, I love champagne!" He claps his hands and heads towards the bar.

 

"What are we celebrating?" Ben asks.

 

"We?" Hunter asks hopefully.

 

"One glass."

 

"Yes!"

 

"Hmm, let me see, getting a foothold in a client that I have been chasing for a while..."

 

Ben sprays his beer across the table, most of which land on Michael, much to his annoyance, and covers his laughter with a coughing fit.

 

"Ben what the hell are you doing, this is my favorite shirt!"

 

"Sorry honey, couldn't help it went down the wrong way, um Hunter, why don't you go help Emmett and I can help Michael get cleaned up..."

 

Brian smirks at Ben who leans towards us and whispers, "Make it quick boys, I can only contain him for so long."

 

Then he follows a muttering and glowering Michael to the bathroom.

 

"How close?" He rasps.

 

Pushing against his foot I start to rotate my hips.

 

"Oh, so close, keep going!" I gasp as the familiar tingle zips through me causing me to bite my lip and close my eyes before he sees them roll back in my head.

 

"Look at me, baby look at me!" He growls.

 

I snap my eyes back open and we lock gazes, he gives me a lazy sexy smile.

 

"Good?"

 

"Oh God, hurry, Emmett's coming back... unh!" My head drops towards the table as sparks flash behind my eyes.

 

I flick Emmett a quick look and instantly he knows, smirks and much to Hunter's chagrin slows his pace to stop to admire a shirt here and pants there; I love that man.

 

Brian's knee hits the table causing him to wince, then his eyes widen. Shit, Michael and Ben must be on their way back. I look pleadingly at Emmett and he yells at them to secure the pool table and pulls Hunter along to join them. As I said, I love that man.

 

Brian holds my chin and mutters, "I'm rimming you; my hot tongue is sliding in and out of you, you're tied to the bed, unable to wiggle away from my unrelenting hot moist tongue, you beg and plead for me to let you cum, I run feather-like strokes down your balls and your inner thighs, I'm pumping your cock, I slide in a finger and then I start to hum..."

 

"Yes! Oh! Oh yeah!" I grind out quietly as my orgasm ripples through me.

 

"Drink this."

 

I quickly drained his glass and try to regulate my breathing.

 

"The post-cum glow is very becoming on you, I hope to see it again later."

 

"Hmmph!"

 

He heads to the table and I follow on slightly wobbly legs. Emmett hands me a glass of champagne with a wink, I start to scowl but then it turns into a knowing grin of satisfaction, he starts to chuckle.

 

"He's incorrigible!"

 

"Actually, it was me who started it, I thought he would stop when Ben and Michael sat..."

 

He snorts into his glass sending the champagne up his nose, once his eyes stopped streaming and he could breathe properly, he shakes his head at me.

 

"As King Kinney, himself would say... twat!"

 

I chuckle, turn to Brian who has his trademark smirk on his face, I poke my tongue out at him.

 

We played a few more games, with Brian's team winning; Michael shot a smug smile my way, I shrug, I mean seriously, this is just a few games of pool; I'm going home with him. Just as we are leaving the barman calls out to Brian and hands him a bag.

 

"What's in there?" I ask before Michael could.

 

"Your choice of ugly, which mercifully only extends to your choice of clothing and vehicles!"

 

Grabbing the bag from him, I pull out what's inside, it's the two shirts I wanted to get earlier, I grinned at him and get on my tiptoes to whisper in his ear.

 

"So stud, do you want to get your glow on!"

 

He hustles me out of there within ten seconds.

 

HUNTER:

 

We decide to stay in Woody's, luckily our previous table is still free. Ben gets the drinks and when he puts them down, he winks at me. I take a sip, wink back and hope nobody notices as he slides a stick of gum to me.

 

"You should have seen the fuss he made when he picked up those shirts and then he bought them for him anyway, Now I know what Kiki means..."

 

Michael turns to look at me with a frown.

 

"What do you mean what Kiki means, was he, I mean she, there too?"

 

"No, it was in the diner before I had the whatchamacallit, BKE..."

 

"Yeah and nobody knows that more than Ted." Emmett sighs.

 

"Kiki said that too, what happened?"

 

"That's for..." Emmett began.

 

"Ted was a crystal queen and that's also why he doesn't..."

 

"Michael!" Ben snaps.

 

"What? It's true, isn't it? Rumor has it he only went to rehab because there was this tape of..."

 

"Michael!" Ben growlers again and I look up and feel the color drain from my face.

 

"I think, Michael, what Ben is trying to point out, not only is that not your story to tell but that I am behind you," Ted intones dryly before turning around and walking back out.

 

Michael just sits there with his mouth open.

 

"Dude, it's at this point you get up off your ass, run after him, and apologize."

 

I could not believe this has to be pointed out to him.

 

"But..."

 

Emmett points firmly at the door, brooking no argument, he leaves and we all look at each other in disbelief.

 

"For once I am so glad that those two were being horndogs," Ben tells Emmett.

 

"Me too. Can you imagine how Justin would've tried to shut him up?!" Emmett is chuckling.

 

"Who, blondie? I think Michael could take him; he'd be underhanded but he could take him. Wait, what do you mean horndogs?"

 

Emmett looks me full in the face and without blinking replies, "No Hunter, no he couldn't. And Brian finished getting him off while we were setting up the pool table."

 

Ben smiles and nods at my shocked expression.

 

"But... but they were here at the table! This table, wait, am I sitting in his seat... eww, let me out!"

 

They burst out laughing but he lets me out, just in time for Michael to come back and slide into my place. He looks dick-whipped and is without Ted.

 

"He accepted it. Just. Why didn't you tell me he was behind me?" He was whining again.

 

I rolled my eyes, his wiggling further into the seat set us all off but we were all laughing too hard to explain to him what was so funny... in this case, ignorance is definitely bliss for him.

 

BRITIN - NEXT DAY

 

JUSTIN:

 

I pull the drapes aside and this elicits a groan from him, he throws a pillow at me.

 

"Mmmph, too bright!" He grumbles.

 

"Up and at them, soon it will be shower time, we've got to go."

 

"Go where? It's seven a.m. on a Friday morning. I took the day off for fuck sake and I haven't had..."

 

I yanked off the sheet and effectively silenced him by taking him deep down my throat, immediately his hands are in my hair, fingering my strands gently. He arches up and as I licked his perineum he whimpered and spread his legs wider, I slipped a finger into my mouth and gets it nice and wet and went back suckling on him.

 

"Uh... mmm... oh... mmmph."

 

I slide into his hole up to the knuckle.

 

"Sh... uh!"

 

Slowly sliding the rest of the way, I suck and finger-fuck him for a good ten minutes while he writhes, whimpers and curses, I insert another two fingers at once and hollow out my cheeks.

 

"Guffn, fuck... oh... mmm... uh... uh... gonna - I'm gonna... fuck!"

 

I swallowed him down and grinned up at him.

 

"Gnuff?" I ask as I take his hand and drag him to the bathroom.

 

He scrunches his nose up at me and tests the water, stepping in briefly, he immediately steps back.

 

"Too hot, wait let me just..."

 

This is what I love most about Brian, the little things. While he likes volcanic, he knows that it will burn me so he gets it just right.

 

"You need to shave, not that I didn't enjoy the stubble on my balls of course."

 

He pulls me to the sink and proceeds to warm a flannel towel and he applies it to my face, it's a bit too hot and I jolt a bit, he mouths sorry. Once my stubble is sufficiently softened, he proceeds to shave me, slowly, gently and lovingly.

 

"Much better," he says, running his finger down my cheek.

 

I pull him into the shower with me and we have a very leisurely fuck and I give him another blow job.

 

While getting dressed he cocks an eyebrow at me.

 

"Where are we going?"

 

I look a bit sheepish and pull out the phone we got for Hunter... and his old one.

 

"What's the problem he's here this weekend, isn't he? Gus is coming up tomorrow."

 

I grimace and shake my head before I could say anything he snarls.

 

"Why the fuck not?! It's our weekend with Gus." He's already stalking toward his phone.

 

He waits for the phone to be answered.

 

"Why isn't Gus coming?" He barks.

 

As he listens, his face softens and he asks if he could speak to him but not to wake him.

 

"Hey, Sonnyboy, how are you feeling?" He talks to him softly for a good twenty minutes.

 

He looks resigned to his fate of a Gus free weekend. I put my arms around him and whisper, "So we drop off the phone for Hunter now and I confirm the flights I am holding for five this evening and hopefully, he will be better by tomorrow, and I have already booked Monday off for you just in case he isn't and..."

 

The rest of my sentence is swallowed in Brian's mouth.

 

NOVOTNY-BRUCKNER HOME

 

MICHAEL:

 

What the hell is that noise? Oh, it's my phone, Ben is out for the count and it's on his side, I shove him but he doesn't move. I shove again, he grunts.

 

"Huh, what mmm."

 

"Your phone is ringing."

 

Ben opens an eye and looks at it.

 

"Not my phone." Saying that he gets up and instead of passing me the phone heads to the bathroom.

 

Glowering at his retreating back I snatch it up.

 

"Michael Novotny Bruckner speaking."

 

"Mr. Novotny Bruckner, this is Tom Steen you purchased the Captain Astro statue. I just thought you'd like to know that it is en route and will be at your house by 11:30..."

 

"What! Oh no, can you get it delivered to another address..."

 

I am rushing around checking where Ben and Hunter are, I hear the shower running and I know that Hunter is dead to the world right now.

 

Finally, I can do my happy dance!

 

An hour later, I'm preparing breakfast and finally, Hunter has surfaced.

 

"Has anyone seen my phone?" He asks sleepily.

 

We both shake our heads and just then there is a knock at the door, Ben opens it.

 

"Hey, you two, what are you doing here so early?"

 

"Need to see Hunter, I forgot to give him something." I hear Justin say.

 

They come into the kitchen and Hunter waves at them while going through his coat pockets.

 

"Where the fuck did I put it?" He's muttering.

 

"Looking for this?" Justin waves his phone at him.

 

He sighs in relief but looks a little sad.

 

"And this?" He smiles at him.

 

He grins and takes both phones from him and settles down on the couch.

 

"Um, what's going on with the two phones?" I ask.

 

"Well Mr. Designer Queen over there took one look at, and I quote, that skanky thing, and deemed it unacceptable so Hunter got a new one but I forgot to give it to him last night."

 

"Yes, you did seem a little distracted." Ben snickers and Hunter snorts.

 

That is the second time they have had a private joke; I am not amused.

 

"Moving on," Justin states firmly. "Look, Hunter, Gus got food poisoning and won't be coming up this weekend..."

 

"Why would Hunter need to know that?" Ben asks.

 

"Ah, yes, well we had invited him over but like I said he's sick, he's bummed out as well. So we are going to see him and would like to take you with us. If that's okay with your dads?"

 

Hunter almost breaks his neck, snapping his head up in surprise and looks at them.

 

"You want to take me to Canada. Sweet!"

 

He turns to us and Ben nods.

 

"Yes!" He bounds up the stairs.

 

"It's only for three, maybe four nights. And the flight isn't until five!" Brian calls up to him.

 

He yells something or other and then we hear a herd of elephants stomping round as he, presumably, gets packing.

 

"I can't believe you got him a new phone Brian. He's been saving for one for weeks." Ben smiles, he goes to check the phone and whistles.

 

"I didn't pay for it, Justin did."

 

I rolled my eyes but said nothing, I offer them coffee or something but they refuse, and soon after they left.

 

NOVOTNY-HORVATH HOUSE

 

Deb was puttering about in the kitchen, shaking her head, and smiling at the kindness that Brian and Justin had shown to Hunter. She hadn't told Carl yet; he had a late shift last night and was sleeping. She was so looking forward to him retiring, having put it off a couple of times.

 

She was startled out of her musings when the phone rang.

 

"Hello. Oh hi, honey, how are you doing? What? What are you raving about Michael, what has Justin done that is so bad?"

 

My shrill tone, yes, I'm aware I can get shrill, must have woken Carl as I feel him give me a squeeze and kiss my cheek, I point at the coffee I just brewed and he smiles gratefully.

 

"Yes, I am listening, honey, I always listen to you..." I glower at the snickering Carl.

 

"But I don't see what is so bad about this. Hunter was going to be at Britin anyways to see Gus, he's doing exactly what he was invited to do but at a different location... but Jenny is here the weekend after next right..."

 

Carl frowns and shakes his head, he and Michael will never see eye-to-eye and after his pouting when Carl and I got married I am not surprised, though Carl is making an effort for me, Michael well not so much.

 

"What phone? What are you talking about? Right, so he got a new phone. But he would've got a new phone, anyway, didn't you say he was saving for one?"

 

By this time, Carl was fed up and took the phone out of my hands. I tried to reach for it to stop him from doing what I knew he was going to do. I shook my head at him, put my hands on my hips, and gave him a firm glare.

 

"Michael, what's the problem, can you get to the bare bones of your grievance quickly, I want to make love to your mother... hello? Hello? Michael are you there? Works every time!"

 

He chuckles and pulls me up the stairs.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER HOUSE

 

BEN:

 

I saw that. I saw Michael roll his eyes when Brian said that Justin paid for it. Michael is now on the phone to Debbie moaning about how unjust this all is on Jenny. What she has to do with it is anybody's guess! If he wants her to have a phone so badly why doesn't he get her one, it's not as if he doesn't have the money.

 

Okay, now he looks sickly and has hung up quickly.

 

"Everything okay, you don't look so good?"

 

He shudders a bit and takes a deep swallow, before he can speak Hunter comes downstairs and picks up his new phone and starts to play with it.

 

"Jeez, have you seen what this thing can do?" He waves it at us.

 

Michael glowered and jerks his coat off the hook and after a brusque goodbye is out the door.

 

"What was that about?" He asks.

 

I shrug and tell him I will find out later.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN:

 

I am sick and tired of the jealous housewife act. Now his behavior has extended to Hunter. He's just a kid who has had nothing in his short life but fucking shit heaped on him and now he's got a life-limiting disease, well Michael can just grow the fuck up! I snatch up my coat and head to the door.

 

"Wait! You need to calm down."

 

I sigh heavily and I know he's right.

 

"Look..."

 

"No..." He is firm and my anger leaves me.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL:

 

"No, I want it in the store so nobody can steal it."

 

"But sir!"

 

"I am the customer, the customer is always right, in the store now... please!" I growl tightly.

 

The delivery men shrug and after a good twenty minutes of pulling and heaving they get the crate inside, it is a bit larger than I thought it would be though, no matter, it is going to look great!

 

I am startled out of my musings by the bell chiming above the door.

 

BEN:

 

"Michael, what the hell is this?"

 

"It's my shipment for Captain Astro."

 

Debbie comes in and has to squeeze her way around the giant crate.

 

"What the fuck is in this?! Here can you take the coffee, I can't quite reach with this fucking thing in the way."

 

"Apparently it's his shipment of Captain Astros..."

 

"How many are in there, a million?" Debbie laughs.

 

"Astro. Singular."

 

Both Debbie and I look at him warily.

 

"What do you mean exactly?" I ask.

 

"I bought an enhancement for the store. A life-size statue of Captain Astro and..."

 

Before he could extol its virtue, Carl and Brian came in with Carl being pressed between the crate and Brian, a position neither man was comfortable with.

 

"Uh, Brian, could you back it up a bit..."

 

"Uh, no, not without pressing forward to open the door so I can get fuck out..."

 

"Can someone please move this fucking thing forward?!" Carl snaps.

 

With great effort, we manage to move it a few inches so that at least Carl and Brian have a bit more personal space.

 

"How is this life-size statue of Captain Astro going to enhance the store, Michael?"

 

"It's a... what for what? You are kidding me you've really not... hey, watch it!"

 

Justin walked into the back of him spilling coffee down his coat, I could see the fury starting to build as he couldn't see behind him.

 

"It's Justin and he couldn't help it."

 

Immediately he calmed down and turned to face him, wrapping his arms tightly around him and kissing him lightly.

 

"Guys focus on the crate, not each other!" Carl chides but he's smiling, he's always been in their corner.

 

"Why should I look at something dumb when I can look at something beautiful?" Brian asked all innocence tucking Justin's head under his chin taking a sip of the coffee.

 

"What do you mean, I'm being dumb?" Michael pouts, folding his arms.

 

"What's going on? Why can't I get in?" Emmett calls from the barely opening door.

 

"Michael hasn't thought something through!" Debbie shouts back at him.

 

Justin snickers into Brian's chest and he smiles into his hair, this does not improve my mood.

 

"I have to bring a point of law to your notice Michael..." Carl began.

 

"What?"

 

"The crate is a fire hazard and needs to be moved..."

 

"Obviously, I am not leaving it in the crate. I am going to open it and take it out of the box!"

 

"No, you are not listening..."

 

"Speak up, I can't hear!" Emmett shouts.

 

"Crate is a fire hazard and needs to be moved back outside..." Debbie bellows.

 

"But I can't do that... they got it in with ropes and shit like that and took it with them..." Michael trailed off.

 

"Maybe if we open it in here and then take the crate outside maybe that would work..." Debbie began eyeballing the crate carefully.

 

"Um nope, that won't work..." Justin piped up from the safety of Brian's arms, who was looking at me with something verging on pity.

 

"Seriously speak the fuck up!"

 

Brian smirked and looked back at Emmett.

 

"Hold up, Honeycutt. Whatever they used to bring it in with, they've taken with them so we can't get it out the way it came in but Debbie thinks that we can open it in here but Justin doesn't think we can because... the floor or should we say the ceiling is yours, Sunshine."

 

"Don't call me, Honeycutt... now Baby make sure you enunciate!"

 

"The crate is sealed..."

 

"Well, obviously it's sealed, smartass..."

 

"At least I am not the smartass that bought a life-size statue of a comic book hero that has to be opened from the top and between the crate and the ceiling there's only a five-inch gap..."

 

We all took that minute to look up and then there was silence.

 

"And another thing, once you get it out of there, where are you going to put it?" Emmett called out.

 

"By the stairs."

 

"Fire hazard," Carl said.

 

"By the window - I can move the racks."

 

"And where would you put those?" Debbie asked.

 

"Let's face it, Michael; this is not going to work in this space!" I snapped and picked up my coat.

 

"I will make it work! Wait, where are you going, Ben?"

 

"Away from this debacle, seriously did you even take measurements or did you just have to have it like Smegal - we want it so we must have it - this is not a fantasy like Lord of the Rings, you have to think of all angles, I mean seriously, Michael!"

 

"You can't leave me with this Ben! You have to help me!"

 

I looked at him in disbelief.

 

"You fucked it up, you unfuck it!"

 

I managed to squeeze between the crate, Debbie, and the counter... though I knocked over the coffees on the way past... I paused and sighed before turning to face him. He smiled at me in relief.

 

"And once you realize it cannot be unfucked it is not coming home!"

 

MICHAEL:

 

It's not a waste of money at all, neither is the memorabilia I am going to Boston to get soon, they will increase in value much like the stocks and shares that David is investing for me. I am glad we got back in touch, though I am not sure what he means that I won't see an immediate return. He said it will take three-five years for it to show a yield or whatever that means. Oh well as long as Jenny and I are taken care of then that's fine; I mean I am going to miss Ben but let's be realistic he might not be here when they hit pay dirt people will understand what I've done.

 

TBC

 

 




 

 

End Notes:

 

*This is the 1978 animated version of Lord of the Rings...really good and surprisingly gory

 

And in my enthusiasm to get this loaded, I did it twice, now it is just the once.  Apologies and nice spot Nichelle xx

 

 

Chapter 3 by MissMerlot

 

3 - LEAD TO WINTER STORMS

 

THANKSGIVING 2013

 

BEN:

 

Okay with hindsight I have to admit that it was funny, according to Emmett it took about two hours to get it taken out of the crate and put in place in the store... somewhat less amusing was finding out how much he paid for it and that was purely by accident. Once it was unveiled, Debbie was annoyed that he lied to her about buying it, but he tried to play it off that he bought it afterwards, but nobody believed that. And on top of that, he had to pay another $1,000 for the delivery men to come back and help him again. He's also lost a fair bit of floor space but as he says he knows the value of these things more than I... yeah right!

 

 Hunter had an excellent time in Canada, he took lots of photos. I am so pleased that he and Gus have become good, well let's be honest, best friends. Michael finally stopped moaning about the phone when I took him to one side and pointed out that now he had money he could easily get Jenny a phone if it meant so much.

 

Now, as much as being with a teen is exasperating at times and hard work, I am proud that Hunter got himself a part-time job, Michael less so because he refused to work in the store, and is putting some of his wage towards his college fund. It's coming along nicely; Ted's financial acumen is second to none, although I put my foot in it with Debbie after she was asking about it and I let slip that Michael also borrowed for the store. She was gob-smacked I also told her that they only want the store amount paid back, thus gifting the fund to Hunter, she did try and find out how much it was but I didn't tell her and I made her swear on Vic's soul that she wouldn't tell Michael or anyone else that she knew as much as she does.

 

We have Thanksgiving lunch at Britin and everyone is going to be there. Justin, Alice, and Debbie are doing the cooking, Emmett wanted to help but Justin put his foot down saying he's a guest but I am pretty sure that won't last long. Emmett is a very strong man, you'd not think it the way his flame glows bright but I wouldn't mess with him.

 

What the hell are those two doing up there, we have got to go soon or we will get snarled up in traffic.

 

"Michael, Hunter, are you guys ready?" I call up.

 

There is a herd of elephants running above me, aka Hunter getting ready to come down.

 

"Are you guys staying overnight?" He yells from his room.

 

"Of course, we are..." Michael calls back as he comes down the stairs.

 

"Actually, Michael, I am not sure, I know Hunter is so maybe we should check first, after all, we are there from 11:00 so let's not be presumptuous."

 

He huffs an annoyed breath.

 

"Nonsense, I am not being presumptuous, it will be fine."

 

I could feel the beginnings of a headache start to throb but resisted the temptation to do a Kinney pinch.

 

"But isn't Jenny going to be with Debbie and Carl tonight..."

 

 "And what has to do with our arrangements? I am so looking forward to not having to battle through the traffic to get home. We are staying, Ben, after all, he's my best friend..."

 

I tune out the rest of that mantra. How is it that everyone can see that in the cold light of day Justin is Brian's best friend with Ted coming second and then Emmett... even Lindsay has been relegated down the line as Gus grew older and could make decisions for himself, everyone except Michael of course.

 

"Hunter come on, we've got to get there on time you know!"

 

I flinch at his tone but say nothing. Finally, Hunter comes down and after checking for the umpteenth time for his phone, he loves that thing, says he's ready only for Michael to dash upstairs for something.

 

We end up leaving ten minutes later and of course, get caught in traffic.

 

BRITIN - LATE MORNING

 

DEBBIE:

 

I am dying to say something to Justin about what they have done for my grandson, I still cannot believe he's the same young boy that stole a knife and a roll at the diner, and to this day he thinks I don't know. I blink back tears as I think how he is with Gus, unlike most teens he doesn't care about Gus' age, he just wants to hang out with his, oh what does he call him, oh that's it G-Man when he gets the chance and the way he is with Carl, nice and respectful, Michael could learn a thing or two!

 

Speaking of Michael, I can't understand why he hasn't done much with the store so far apart from that stupid statue, which I am still pissed about I have to say, he lied to me, you don't lie to me, okay the money is to do with what he wants but that was just silly. Although I am so glad that he wasn't in the diner when we all got there as we were pissing ourselves with laughter especially Carl who admitted that he had made it up about it being a fire hazard... he paid for that later that night... twice!

 

Everyone is here apart from the Novotny Bruckner's - last I heard it was Michael who had caused them to run late, though why he has insisted on driving, when Brian said there was a service for everyone, is beyond me.

 

Ah, I see Emmett is getting a little antsy, if he thinks he's fooling anyone with that nonchalant stroll of his, he has another thing coming.

 

"Hey Baby, um where's that timetable thing you printed out?"

 

He coos as he strolls into the kitchen trying really hard, and failing, not to look into the pots on the stove, he winces as Alice slaps his hand away.

 

"For the last time Emmett... no! You are a guest and you're not helping; you are to sit down and be looked after, we've got this!"

 

"But..."

 

"Do you want to go to bed without lunch, and by bed, I mean the one at your house?" Justin asks from the fridge where he is pulling out a bottle of champagne and is now reaching for glasses.

 

Emmett scowls at him before turning his best pleading look at me.

 

"No support here Em honey!" I chuckle.

 

He folds his arms and plops petulantly on the nearest chair.

 

"At least let me open the champagne, that's not catering, that's making sure I get the first glass..."

 

We all look at each other and decide that he can do that but only to pour his glass. So naturally, within five minutes, he's tasting here, stirring there, has found the timetable and is ticking back and adjusting times.

 

"Seriously, why did we even try?" I mutter at Alice.

 

Justin chuckles and Alice shakes her head, Emmett smiles goofily at them, who can resist that when he's in his element.

 

The doorbell goes and I bustle to answer and there, finally are the Novotny Bruckner's.

 

"Where the hell have you been?" I ask Hunter.

 

He casts his eyes behind him, where a tense Ben and Michael are following, oh now what is wrong.

 

"So what kept you? And why in the heck did you drive?"

 

"Hunter! Where have you been? Hi Uncle Ben, Uncle Michael." Gus comes down the stairs towards us.

 

"Hey G-Man, we got a bit delayed because Michael had to get something that he couldn't possibly do without for one day. But we're here now where's everyone else, you good?"

 

Gus nods and points to the kitchen and the lounge, Ben heads towards the lounge.

 

"Want me to take your bags up?"

 

He shakes his head, saying to wait a minute as he won't be long and true to his word he's back within minutes with a glass of champagne and a chicken leg...

 

"Hunter, where did you get that from?"

 

"Kitchen." He mumbles around a mouth full of food.

 

Before Michael could say anything, Justin saunters out and hands Hunter another piece of chicken and a napkin.

 

Brian comes out of the lounge and smiles nodding at Hunter who nods back.

 

"Don't you feed this child Michael?" He heads to the kitchen bumping Hunter along the way, who pokes his tongue out.

 

"I'm fine Brian thanks for asking..." Michael calls to his retreating back.

 

"I know Michael, I would've heard if you weren't."

 

"What the fuck is his problem, didn't he get any last night?" He snarks at Justin.

 

"Yeah, four times." He turns and walks away.

 

"Papa!" Gus yells his face is a picture of indignity and embarrassment.

 

"He asked!"

 

"Couldn't you have lied?"

 

"I don't lie, Gus, you know that." He calls back.

 

Hunter is chuckling at Gus' embarrassment.

 

"Dude, it's not as if you didn't know they scr... have sex a lot."

 

"And you learned to knock real quick!" Brian yells.

 

"Dad! Jeez! Please, please, please can we go upstairs now?"

 

Hunter barks a laugh and nods and they head upstairs to do what they are going to do, before they close the door they are stopped by Justin who came back out to say that lunch will now be at two.

 

"Actually Baby." Emmett calls "Make that two-thirty!"

 

"Drew, can you please come and take your man out of my kitchen!"

 

Drew ambles in the hallway.

 

"Well..."

 

"If he wants sex tonight, he will go sit back down and leave me to do my thang!" Emmett hollers.

 

"Sorry Justin sex always wins!" He smirks and goes back into the lounge.

 

"As it should!" Brian agrees.

 

We all burst out laughing at the slightly indignant expression on Justin's face before he breaks into a grin nodding in agreement.

 

"That silence is worrying. You are nodding in agreement right, Sunshine?" Brian yells.

 

"He is, he definitely is!" I shout back.

 

We follow Michael into the kitchen and soon afterwards, we are joined by Jenny, she doesn't look happy.

 

"Hey honeybun, how are you, what's the matter?" Michael asks after giving her a hug.

 

"Gus and Hunter said I can't be in the room for now..."

 

"Oh, we will soon see about that." He heads upstairs ready to defend his little girl, we shake our heads in resignation, Jenny sighs, and grimaces.

 

"But Dad..." She calls out.

 

At that moment, Ben comes in and she barrels into his arms.

 

"Hey, Papa!"

 

"Hey sweetheart, how are you?"

 

Before she could answer, there was a commotion upstairs with banging and yelling.

 

"Let me check what's going on."

 

I bustle upstairs and find Michael outside the boys' room hammering on the door and demanding to be let in.

 

"Michael, what the hell are you doing?!" I bellow above the din.

 

"I want them to open the door and let Jenny join in!"

 

"We can't!" Gus yells from the room

 

Brian, Justin, and Ben coming up the stairs coincides with Ted and Blake arriving. Ted takes one look at the situation, nods at Brian and heads straight to the lounge shutting the door behind them, now that's odd I didn't hear the doorbell go, but back to the situation in hand.

 

"What's happening?" Justin asks.

 

"They've kicked Jenny out of the room. Open up right now!" Michael yells.

 

We turn to the sound of footsteps as Jenny is running up the stairs.

 

"Dad! Wait, you didn't let me explain! They said I had to leave... wait let me catch my breath... because, because they were wrapping presents and you know what I am like I have to know who has what, they said they would let me back in when they were done...

 

All eyes turn to Michael, he shrugs, once more he's not thought something through.

 

"Boys, can one of you come down when Jenny can come back in?" I shout.

 

"Yeah, sure grandma!" Hunter calls out; my heart flutters every time he calls me that.

 

We turn to go back downstairs when Brian clears his throat... this cannot be good.

 

"Michael, you need to do something before you go, don't you think?"

 

He shakes his head and carries on downstairs.

 

"You need to apologize to them for what you almost accused them of..."

 

"But I didn't do it, the "almost" is the keyword, right? Besides, I was only looking out for Jenny who was..."

 

"I wasn't anything, so I didn't need to be looked out for, if you had let me explain..." She sighed.

 

Ben gives her a small smile and ruffles her hair; she grabs his hand and wraps herself around his waist.

 

"Michael, you need to apologize." Ben asserts. "It's only right."

 

I like this, I like this side of Ben, not letting him get away with shit. Okay, I hold my hands up and admit I have let him slide, coast and always be rescued. But judging by the way he's been bellyaching to me lately; it seems he's not letting him do that anymore either and good for him I say.

 

"Michael Charles Novotny Bruckner will you hop the fuck to it so we can get back to more important things like Thanksgiving!" Emmett snaps from the foot of the stairs.

 

"Auntie Em!" Jenny snorts between giggles "Language!"

 

"Sorry, sweetie! This food is not going to cook itself; I need my kitchen back!"

 

We all look at Michael, who reluctantly turns back and knocks on the door again, this time Gus opens it but not enough so we can see in.

 

"Yes, Uncle Michael?"

 

"I have been told to apologize for earlier. Consider it done." He says ungraciously and hurries downstairs.

Gus just blinks at us, not quite sure what he's supposed to do with that, personally, I wouldn't wipe my ass on it.

 

"Um... okay then. Dad, papa can we get back to doing what we were doing?"

 

They both nod and the door quickly closes. I spot the angry tick in Brian's jaw and pat his arm.

 

"Let's just get Thanksgiving back on track, shall we?"

 

He nods curtly and stalks downstairs heading straight for his study, the door is sharply shut.

 

Justin sighs and we link arms with Emmett who grins happily.

 

"Just so we are clear, I am not a cook in my own fucking kitchen." He chides.

 

Emmett kisses us both on the cheek and leads us back into the kitchen saying he has opened another bottle of champagne and Alice is pouring.

 

Happily, there is no Michael, to be honest, I don't trust myself, let alone Justin, with those sharp knives.

 

I give Justin a quick squeeze as he looks longingly at the closed study door, but he knows his man and now is not the time.

 

BRIAN:

 

I have been told to apologize, consider it done! I pour myself a glass of beam and take a breath before knocking it back. There is a knock at the door and steeling myself I open it; I heave a sigh of relief to find Ben outside.

 

"Mind if I join you in one of those?" He nods at my glass.

 

I open the door wider and he comes in and heads straight to the cart.

 

"You know, I am a practicing Buddhist and abhor violence. But I am sure that Mahatma would've forgiven my urge to slap him just then, right?"

 

We raise our glasses to each other and knock the beam back. Sitting in silence we are startled when the door knocks.

 

"Do you think if we're really quiet they will think nobody's here?" I whisper.

 

"We can try..."

 

We wait with bated breath before the door knocks again, we both sigh deeply we know that determined ratatat tat.

 

"Brian are you in there?" Michael calls out.

 

He tries the handle, luckily, I had locked the door after Ben came in, on seeing that he lets out a sigh of relief then breaks into a grin, which I can't help returning.

 

I wave him to the door and we stand on either side to see if we can hear him leave, he knocks again, we shake our heads at each other, and he keeps trying the handle.

 

"Michael, what are you doing?" It's Emmett.

 

"Looking for Brian." He answers. "Oh, by the way, have you seen Ben at all?"

 

I see the flicker of hurt cross Ben's face... seriously Michael, get a fucking grip!

 

"No, for Ben and it looks like the study is locked so clearly Brian's not in there, maybe they are walking the grounds... oh, how ‘Lord of the Manor' does that sound?" He chuckles.

 

"I wonder where they are."

 

"Clearly not here and since you have time on your hands you can come and help us in the kitchen."

 

We hear him pull a protesting Michael away. Once we think the coast is clear we slide to the floor trying to stifle the laughter, we both freeze when the door knocks again, there is a pause and a piece of paper is shoved firmly inside.

 

I wait for a couple of minutes before I take it up and read it warily.

 

"You owe me and Ben you owe Emmett, yours unhappily, Sunshine!"

 

We look at each other and clink glasses before bursting out laughing again.

 

THANKSGIVING LUNCH

 

The smell from the kitchen is heavenly and the table looks great, everyone is seated and despite their best efforts Emmett has completely taken charge and is flitting about making sure everything is perfect and it almost is apart from Brian's refusal to have Justin at the other end of the table. He needs to be in touching distance he argued when Emmett tried to point out this is a family lunch, Brian shrugged and said he would keep one hand on the table.

 

Once everyone was seated Carl was put in charge of carving the turkey and all in all it was an excellent repast. Though Hunter had to admit defeat after the third helping, his appetite was somewhat dampened by Brian glowering at him in ill-concealed jealousy much to Justin's amusement.

 

They decided that brandies would be in the lounge so we decamped there, the crackling fire and full bellies making it a nice comfortable silence until...

 

TED:

 

"So Gus, how did you think you did in your school report?" Mel asked.

 

She casts a quick look at Brian, who remained impassive but shook Justin who was curled up in his lap.

 

"Huh?" Justin jolts awake and blinks slowly.

 

"I don't know, I promised not to open it and I didn't." He replied looking nervous.

By now everyone is looking at Mel, who nods at Brian, who like Justin, has the beginnings of a smile playing around his lips.

 

"What's going on?" Carl asked before Debbie could say a word.

 

"Well, we promised Gus that if he did well on his report card he could invite a friend for Christmas and well here we go..."

 

She read the card and then handed it to Linds, who handed it to Brian and Justin who took their time.

 

"Well!" Deb exclaimed.

 

"Sonnyboy, what was the criteria for you to get a pass?" Brian asked, not looking up from the card.

 

"Um, no lower than a B+ in all subjects." He replied, twisting his fingers and looking at Hunter for support.

 

"Dude, you've got this."

 

Brian was very quiet, with him and Justin whispering together and nodding.

 

"So you thought it was a good idea to ace all your classes, not a single B+."

 

"What!" Gus hollered and ran to snatch the card from his father.

 

"Let us see, let us see!" Jenny was yelling, jumping up and down.

 

"Oh sweetheart, I am so pleased for you!" Deb cried with tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

The only sound to be heard was people congratulating him before Brian whistled the group into silence.

 

"Theodore, the floor is yours I believe."

 

I clear my throat and look at Gus whose eyes were shiny with tears.

 

"First, do you know who you are inviting for Christmas?"

 

"Oh that's easy, Hunter, and yes, I know what that means."

 

Hunter blinks rapidly as does Ben.

 

"Ah right, so Hunter do you have a passport?"

 

Hunter and Gus both look confused.

 

"Why the hell would he need a passport? It's not as if he's going anywhere," Michael grouses.

 

Hunter looks shocked and a little hurt.

 

"What the hell is that supposed to mean, Michael?" Carl growls

 

Michael crosses his arms mutinously over his chest and remains silent.

 

"As I was saying, do you have a passport?"

 

Hunter shakes his head. I took out an envelope from my briefcase and handed it to him.

 

"You do now."

 

He rips open the envelope and stares in wonderment at it.

 

"Why... why do I need this?" His voice is barely above a whisper.

 

"Dad, Papa, where are we going?" Gus looks at the smiling faces of his parents.

 

"You know I am part Irish, right?" Brian asks.

 

Gus nods, Jenny is grinning like a Cheshire cat bouncing in her seat.

 

"Well, I have decided to research my family tree and apparently there is a branch in Dublin..."

 

"Dublin?" Gus repeats dumbly looking at Hunter who shrugs.

 

Justin sighs and gets out of Brian's lap getting down to Gus' eye level.

 

"I cannot believe I have to explain this to an A-student and his best friend... listen carefully... we are spending Christmas in Dublin, Ireland - as in Europe."

 

There is silence, then the smiles start, first Gus and then Hunter before they both leap up and down hugging each other shouting they are going to Dublin.

 

"Wait, wait a minute, who agreed with this and what about Jenny?!" Michael shouts.

 

The fun is officially sucked out of the room.

 

"Michael, Jenny will be with us, it's our time to have her since she's here for Thanksgiving." Mel says, shifting slightly on her feet.

 

"With you, where are you going?"

 

"Um..." Linds replied.

 

"Where?" Deb demands.

 

"Um actually, we have something to say too..." Drew starts.

 

Deb stands up with her hands on hips and looks around the room.

 

"Okay, how many people in this room are going to be in the Pitts for Christmas?"

 

Six hands go up, mine, Blake's, Deb's, Carl's, Michael, and Ben's.

 

"Hunter, put your hand up because you are not going to Dublin!"

 

"Oh hell the fuck no, there is no fucking way you are pulling this bullshit!" Ben snaps.

 

"You appear to have forgotten something very important, Michael..."

 

"What?" He snaps at me.

 

"Hunter will be eighteen soon and definitely before they travel..."

 

He opens his mouth and then closes it again, scowling.

 

I am so jealous that you get to go to Dublin but so pleased too, I told you, didn't I Uncle Justin? I told you I could keep a secret!"

 

Justin smiles at her and nods before settling back down in Brian's lap.

 

"Oh, your Uncle Justin is good at keeping secrets." Michael snarks.

 

"Shush Michael! So Drew, where are you and Emmett going to be?" Debbie demands.

 

"I have a commentary gig in LA and I want to take Em with me."

 

Deb nods in understanding.

 

"So you two, where are you going?" She turns to Mel and Linds.

 

"Florida."

 

"Florida!" Michael shouts.

 

Justin is startled awake again.

 

"What, what is it?" He looks around blinking rapidly.

 

"Go back to sleep." Brian kisses the top of his head.

 

He curls back into his lap like a contented cat, how he can sleep so quickly is truly astounding.

 

"Wait! Wait just a minute; I'm going to Florida, as in Florida, Florida, Florida?" Jenny shrieks.

 

"Yep," Linds replies, hugging her.

 

"You're not the only one that can keep secrets." Gus laughs.

 

Then he frowns and cocks his head to one side.

 

"So what did you mean Uncle Michael, about Uncle Justin being good at keeping secrets?"

 

Oh dear, Gus looks pissed off. The room goes silent.

 

"Well let's just say that he's not as ragingly honest as he makes out."

 

"Is this about Ian? I mean Ethan, papa stop smiling!"

 

Michael looks stunned.

 

"You mean you know about that?" Emmett gasps.

 

Gus looks surprised.

 

 "Of course, I do! I know mostly everything about their lives before me and when they split up, how they got back together and all that. They promised to tell me other stuff when I get older and I believe they will. They said that they want me to hear things about them from them and nobody else."

 

"Do you know about the..."

 

"Deb!" Carl warns.

 

"Yes, I know about the bashing."

 

Everyone turns to look at Justin, who is given a reassuring squeeze by Brian.

 

"Justin, he's far too young to know about that..." Linds starts.

 

"Mom, stop! They told me last year, well most of what happened. Papa said he would tell me more when I am ready to hear it, I kinda got..."

 

"Why do you call him that?" Michael asks.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Why do you call him ‘Papa'?"

 

 "Because he is, and he always will be. Like dad is my dad and he always will be. And Hunter's my best friend, because he is, before you ask."

 

"Burn!" Jenny snickers.

 

I catch the wink that Deb flicks at Jenny, who is being glowered at by her father.

 

Now I am not an emotional man but when I see how much they love each other it is wonderful, almost like the greatest aria ever written.

 

And then you have Hunter, now he is just a mass of contradictions, he clearly adores the bones of Ben and is so respectful to everyone else, especially Brian and Justin. I like that everyone else was surprised when he took Gus under his far-too-young-to-have-experienced-this-shit-life wing. Why Michael can't see what everyone else can, is anyone's guess.

 

"Excuse me, we've gotten sidetracked! Back to Christmas!" Deb glowers at Michael

 

"How about to end this clusterfu... I mean conversation, we agree to have a New Year's Party at Britin and everyone can come?" Brian asks.

 

He quirks an eyebrow at me meaning this is going to be expensive, crunch the numbers, I nod.

 

"Okay but to be clear it has to be in January, right? And no excuses!"

 

Deb demands, pointing a finger at everyone, who nods solemnly; nobody argues with the finger.

 

MICHAEL:

 

What the fuck just happened? So Hunter gets to go to Dublin and Jenny goes to Florida and we are stuck in the Pitts! And of course, Justin comes out of this smelling of fucking roses, well I am going to make the most of my Thanksgiving time here then. This brandy is good, it looks like Ben is driving home tomorrow, and we will be having a chat about his part in this.

 

"So where are we staying?" I ask Brian, putting a stop to his make-out session.

 

I smile behind my glass as he lifts his head and I hear Justin's whimper of protest.

 

"When?"

 

"Tonight?"

 

Hmmm, why is he frowning and looking at Justin who also looks confused?

 

"Ben will follow the service back to mine, you guys can crash there..." Ma starts.

 

"No, we are here tonight."

 

Justin has the nerve to roll his eyes. Brian clears his throat and looks at me.

 

"Uh no, you are not. The whole point of having it early was so that there were no overnight guests apart from Gus and Hunter, Jenny is going to her grandparents, Mel and Linds to the loft, Drew and Emmett back to theirs and..."

 

"I said we should've checked..."

 

"Thank you, Mysterious Ben, you are so enlightened." I snap.

 

I stand up and head to the cart and pour myself another large brandy and turn to Gus.

 

"But you know legally he's not your papa or your dad..."

 

"Michael..." Justin growled, sitting up straight.

 

"Dad, why are you doing this, why are you ruining everyone's day! Does this mean I can't call Ben papa anymore just because the law says I can't? Okay, I know you are papa to Hunter and papa is dad to him, but just because..."

 

She bursts into tears and rushes to Ben's side; he wraps his arms around her pulling her into his lap and whispering whatever the fuck to her.

 

"Why is everyone looking at me like that? It's true what I have said, I guess some people can't handle the truth. And one more thing, I'm not Papa to Hunter, he never calls me that, and he never calls Ben dad."

 

This is too much for Jenny and she runs out followed by Gus and Hunter.

 

"He calls Ben dad all the time, and if you behaved like a papa, then he would call you that!"

 

With that Carl storms out of the room calling Jenny's name; a few seconds later, he bellows down for ma, who gives me a black look, I shrug and sway slightly.

 

"I cannot fucking believe you said that to a child!"

 

BLAKE:

 

Everyone turns to look at me in surprise, yes, I am quiet and I observe a lot, it's part of my job, but enough is fucking enough, I take the glass out of his hand and slam it back on the cart, going back to be closer to Ted, Michael and I need distance.

 

"Uh Blake..." Linds begins.

 

"No, not this time, they are children - one who had a horrible start in life and..."

 

"Ted, contain your twink!" Michael snaps.

 

I have never felt so much anger in my life. I take a step towards Michael but am stopped by Ted, grabbing my arm.

 

"Why don't you get the presents from the car, honey? Please?" Ted asks.

 

I sigh and take the key from him.

 

"Do you need some help?" Ben asks and I nod.

 

Outside, it is a bit chilly and I glance warily at him, he gives me a resigned smile.

 

"It's okay Blake, you just got there first."

 

"How do you put up with it all the time, he knows no boundaries..."

 

"I wish I still smoked."

 

This surprises me not that he smoked before but the relevance, I frown.

 

"Then I would have an excuse to be outside and occupy my hands."

 

We head back into a tense silence in the lounge; Michael has another brandy in his hands and looks up at us.

 

"I didn't hear the bell go. How did you get in?" He asks then he looks at Ted.

 

He picks this moment to be astute and observant.

 

"Key."

 

"How does Blake have a key?" Linds demands looking hard at Brian.

 

"I don't have a key, Lindsay, Ted does," I answer. "Where shall I put these?"

 

"If you put them over there, we will deal with them later," Justin replies.

 

"If you get up from being a limpet on Brian then you can deal with them now. And why does Ted have a key?"

 

"I'm thinking of your safety Michael, if either of us leave this chair, you will get an ass-kicking, you remember the last time Brian hit you, this would be worse. And Ted has a key, because we want him to have one."

 

Michael puts his glass down, but before he could speak, Linds stands up.

 

"But why? Why don't I have a key? I'm Gus' mother after all."

 

"Who lives in Toronto and..." Mel growls.

 

"Yes but..." She begins.

 

"No, you are not getting a key," Justin states firmly.

 

Linds whirls round to face him in full WASP mode.

 

"Before you start, remember that this is my house Linds and this day is going to shit already, let's not make it worse."

 

She sits down unhappily; she and Michael exchange a look and I know that this is going to get worse.

 

"Whatever that look was for, don't. Don't say it - in fact, we are going now!"

 

Ben snaps and snatches the glass out of Michael's reach.

 

"Wait Ben, either let me drive or promise you will share the service car with Deb." I plead.

 

"We are not leaving Ben, until we have had this conversation, so sit down!"

 

Ben's mouth drops open, I don't think I have ever seen him so angry in my life.

 

"Now back to the matter of the key, as your best friends, Linds and I..." He begins.

 

"Get the fuck out of my house!" Justin is standing with his fists clenched.

 

Carl took that moment to come back in, with the others trailing behind him, he took one look at Justin, and got between him and Michael.

 

"Please son, sit down and let me handle this."

 

Brian's gentle tugging on his wrist got his attention, so he slowly sat down, but kept his eyes on Michael.

 

CARL:

 

I grab Michael's arm and drag him out of the room and shove him towards his mother.

 

"Right people, this has been whatever the fuck it is, I think it's time for us to all go home and hope that this all gets better in the morning."

 

Brian snorts and shakes his head.

 

"Son, we can but hope."

 

I wave the girls, Emmett and Drew out of the room, Brian and Justin don't move.

 

"Honey, we will call you tomorrow, okay?" Debbie calls out.

 

Brian nods and wipes a tear from Justin's cheek.

 

"What about their car?" I ask.

 

"Can I drive it back tomorrow?" Hunter suggests and Ben nods.

 

He hugs Hunter.

 

"Try not to be too hard on him." I hear him whisper to Ben.

 

"Could you teach him to be an adult, you are so good at it?" He whispers back.

 

He smiles ruefully and then he and Gus hug everyone else goodbye. Michael is swaying on his feet, Deb holds him to stop him falling on his ass, I don't buy that drunk ass routine but we need to get out of here.

 

GUS:

 

Damn Uncle Michael! He's upset papa and even though Hunter doesn't say much but I know what he said hurt and poor Jenny was distraught too, it took a lot of comforting and one of her favorite lollies to get her calm. She has, unfortunately, inherited her dramatics from her dick of a father.

 

Papa looks really upset, he's doing the biting the lip thing and dad is massaging his hand and whispering to him.

 

"Um, we're going to go upstairs now, if that's okay?" I ask them.

 

"No. I mean, you can join us, we can watch a movie or something..." Justin asks quietly.

 

He looks so hopeful, Hunter and I exchange looks there is no way we can leave him like that.

 

"I get to pick the movie. I am not watching One-Eyed Jacks again!"

 

DEB & CARL'S HOUSE NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL:

 

I wake up alone with a thumping head and my mouth feels like the inside of a dead beaver with the taste to match. I remember everything I said yesterday. Let's see how much trouble I am in.

 

Ben, Carl and Ma are drinking coffee. Jenny, I assume is still sleeping, as I should be, I feel the kind of bad that only puking can solve, let's just get this over with.

 

"You're up then?" Ma snarks.

 

I nod my head gingerly and sit down next to Ben, who moves away wrinkling his nose.

 

"That bad, uh?" I ask, smiling at him, he doesn't smile back.

 

Ma looks incredulously at me and ignores Carl's attempt to mollify her.

 

"That's all you have to say? After what you said and did yesterday?!" She bellows.

 

"But after the amount I drank, I can't remember what happened yesterday, honestly..."

 

Carl cocks an eyebrow at me.

 

"Okay Michael, let's leave it, though I knew we should've taken the presents with us, like Ted and Blake, it just goes to show how much Brian and Justin trust Ted to give him a key like that?"

 

Ben nods and Carl levels a gaze at me, daring me to say anything.

 

Instantly I am annoyed, I still cannot believe that Ted of all people has a key and not me, and it takes everything for me to get a confused look on my face.

 

"Huh?" It's the best I can come up with.

 

Ben sighs and heads upstairs and I try to follow, but Carl blocks my path.

 

"Not buying it Michael, didn't buy it yesterday, not buying it now."

 

He steps aside and scoffs when I don't meet his unwavering gaze, as I head upstairs, I notice that the couch is made up... shit!

 

Silence, silence greets me when I get into the bedroom. I can ignore the sighs of disappointment, questioning my judgment and behavior and the snarking he has taken to doing on occasion but the silence is unnerving.

 

"Could you at least tell me what I said or did? Was it really that bad?"

 

He looks around the room to make sure that there is nothing he missed; I notice he hasn't packed anything of mine.

 

"Ben please!" I plead and then groan as the pain shoots through my head at the sound of my voice.

 

He pauses briefly before taking out his phone and heading downstairs, within seconds my phone pings.

 

"Ask someone who wants to talk to you." It reads.

 

I hear the door open and Carl shouts to Ma that they are going to pick up Jenny so I head back downstairs but am met by more silence.

 

"Where did Jenny stay? I thought she was upstairs. Also, where's the Advil? My head hurts like hell."

 

"With her moms, and you will need to go to the store for it."

 

Busying herself finishing off her coffee, she heads upstairs without a second look.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN:

 

We both had a shit night's sleep and we didn't speak at first because of that. After a quiet breakfast, thankfully the boys were still in bed, we slowly made our way back to each other, first his fingers brushed my arm, then I wound my fingers in his hair and brought our foreheads together and then we just breathed each other in.

 

The boys came in with Hunter pausing mid-stride, they both tried and failed to keep worried expressions off of their faces.

 

"Please don't worry, we're just tired, we are fine." Justin reassures them.

 

"He called," Gus admitted.

 

"What did you say to him?" I ask.

 

"Nothing, I let the machine pick up."

 

We all exchange looks; the silence is thick and uncomfortable.

 

"Well let's get it out of the way." Justin sighs.

 

He's rubbing his hand; fuck, I could kill Michael I think as he heads to the lounge with his shoulders slumped.

 

"Wait, what time is it?" I call out to him.

 

"Don't know but I need a fucking drink to get through this!" He calls back.

 

"Works for me."

 

I grab a bottle of champagne and glasses and shake my head as Hunter heads for the fridge and rifles around before locating the fried chicken... I look at him and he shrugs... I can't begrudge him. Once we are situated I hand the boys a glass each and wink, Justin snickers, it's a start, and shakes his head.

 

"What?" I ask innocently.

 

Gus takes a healthy sip and coughs, I raise an eyebrow at his enthusiasm, it seems that the Kinney is strong in this one. Taking a breath, I hit play and sit next to Justin, taking his hand, and gently he squeezes mine.

 

"Um, hi guys, it's me Michael, sounding a bit rough I know. I have such a headache and I woke up with my mouth tasting and feeling like the inside of a dead beaver... not that beaver, the animal kind ha-ha! So the reason for calling, it would seem, judging by the silence and dirty looks from the Horvath's and Ben, is that I may have said or done something unfortunate yesterday. As to what it was, I don't remember. I am blaming the booze; you know what I am like when I get too much under my belt. Anyway, if you can call me back so we can move on from this that would be great. Got more people to call, I swear I am never drinking again, well until next time right ha-ha! Okay, speak to you soon, bye."

 

We sat there in stunned silence, looking at the machine and each other.

 

"Well, that's a novel approach isn't it?" Hunter grumbles.

 

Without saying a word, Justin gets up and deletes the message.

 

"I need to paint and I don't want to be disturbed."

 

He turns and leaves, the next sound is of the studio door slamming.

 

"Has he called you?" I ask Hunter.

 

His face falls and he shakes his head. I was about to say something when the phone rang, thinking it would be Michael doing his usual thing I snatch it up quickly.

 

"What!"

 

"So Michael called, did he?" Emmett drawls.

 

As I let out a sigh of relief, I could picture him inspecting his nails as he said it.

 

"Indeed. What bullshit did he come up with for you?"

 

"Nothing, he's not that dumb, no hear me out, there is no way he would attack me or Drewsie as he wouldn't hesitate to knock his ass out, though the prospect of a lawsuit might slow him down a bit..."

 

I chortle and nod even though he can't see me.

 

"Reason I called was that I was wondering if I could help you two out by taking two teenage boys off your hands for the day? Drewsie has some buddies coming over and they are bringing their kids and they are Hunter and Gus' ages so..."

 

I mentally kiss him.

 

"Let me check. Hey, guys, you want to go to Emmett and Drew's?"

 

They nod enthusiastically in relief and I don't blame them.

 

"You are a lifesaver Em, I owe you..."

 

"I know... so I am owed by two gorgeous men, fabulous!" He trills "We will send the car over for them, it will take about an hour, shall we bring them back home or get Hunter dropped off at Deb, I think that's where they are all spending the day, oh wait their car is still there isn't it..."

 

"And if it wasn't Ben's I would have it towed."

 

He snorts indelicately.

 

"Towed, how restrained, I would've had it burned and the ashes delivered to his house."

 

We both laugh at that scenario and then there is silence.

 

"How is he?" He asks quietly.

 

"Hurting. He's painting and doesn't want to be disturbed."

 

"Sweetie, I know what he said but bring him back to you. Oh! I have the perfect thang, wait one second, now what the heck is it called? DeShawn told me about it... aha... download Our First Time by Bruno Mars, put it on repeat and do what he needs you to do... now go to it, King Kinney and give him our love..."

 

"What none for me, I am hurt..." I mutter sarcastically.

 

"Hah!" He hangs up.

 

An hour later the boys are on their way and the house is quiet. I have found the song and uploaded it to the house system and headed to his studio, what greets me is devastating...

 

Justin is curled up in a ball sobbing his heart out, rocking back and forth and the sounds he is making turn my stomach and twist my heart.

 

"Lea-leave me alone!"

 

I sit down by the door, now is not the time to touch him.

 

"I ha-hate that he can do this to Gus and Hunter, and how he can-can make me feel like this, why does he ha-hate me so much? What ha-have I done to him!"

 

"You made me fall in love with you..." I whisper.

 

He sniffs and wipes his eyes, they are so red and his face is streaked with tears but to me, he's never looked more beautiful, he's this way because he loves them and has taken on their pain, like he always does.

 

"Where are they? I wa-wasn't very nice ear-earlier." He hiccups.

 

"They've gone to Emmett's," I reply softly, moving towards him.

 

I am encouraged when he doesn't move away from my touch, I nod towards the futon he gives a small nod, he curls up in my lap and I don't mind that he wipes his snotty nose on my Gucci shirt, though I did grimace a little, he hiccups a small giggle.

 

I put the song on and slowly rock him, since I have never heard of Bruno Mars let alone the song, but I was taken by the melody and by the third, I am humming along.

 

"Come on back to me..." I whisper to him kissing the top of his head.

 

"I like this song..." He murmurs into my chest and starts to unbutton my now snotty shirt.

 

"Dance with me... and here since you started you might as well wipe that beautiful face on my beautiful shirt..."

 

He gives me a half-sunshine-smile and stands up tugging me with him.

 

"What's it called?" He asks.

 

"Gucci."

 

"Smartass, the song."

 

"Our First Time by Bruno Mars."

 

For the next few minutes, we sway to the music before the need to reconnect overwhelms me, I lift his head and lower mine then seal his mouth in a hot, searing kiss, I tongue fuck him to try to take the pain away.

 

Somehow, we end up back on the futon in a tangle of limbs, I am pulling at his clothes and he's pulling at mine until we are naked, I attack his neck and he whimpers clutching at my hair.

 

"Mmmm!"

 

He pushes me flat on my back and kisses a trail down my neck nibbling at my lobes and biting, tonguing and kissing at the pulse point.

 

"Oh! Uh-huh, do that again!" As he takes a particularly good swipe.

 

He obliges and I squirm underneath him, grinding my hips into his.

 

"Hold on stud, I got this." He whispers into my ear, his breath making my back arch and my cock ache.

 

He moves down to my nipples and takes one in his mouth, flicking his tongue back and forth until it stands proud and I am panting and wriggling, my breath catches as he lavishes the same treatment on the other one... he kisses a trail down my stomach stopping to swirl into my belly button before he nuzzles my bush and I almost throw him to the floor bucking upwards with a cry.

 

He chuckles and plants hot moist kisses over my hips and down my inner thighs and behind my knee, I almost bite through my lip when he flicks his tongue there.

 

"Come up here, please come up here."

 

He looks at me in confusion but crawls into my open arms, his eyes are clearer and lust blown, he's coming back to me but there is just one thing I need to do. I turn us over and kiss him deeply, he winds his fingers into my hair and pushes his hips up trying to get some kind of friction against us but I keep moving away, he whimpers in protest.

 

"Hold on, little boy, I got this." I murmur before engulfing him in one fell swoop.

 

"Hooo! Oh, mmm, yeah..."

 

I reach for my cock and jerk a bit, getting a generous amount of pre-cum and smear it between my cheeks, his eyes are closed, his head thrown back, he's gasping in ecstasy, I stop sucking, sit up, and start jerking him off.

 

"Ah, yes, yes please... yes please, so g-g-good!"

 

 His hips are thrusting towards my hand, his arm is flung across his face, he's chanting my name, I take him in but not all the way, his eyes snap open in shock.

 

"Br-Bri-Brian!"

 

"Problem?" I ask taking him in completely.

 

His hips arch and he jabbers something though I do catch the word God at least once.

 

"Unh, need to need to!"

 

I smile and lean down to kiss him, this helps him to calm down and using my weight to my advantage I take it nice and slow - thanking the squat God for my stamina - holding his wrists on either side of his head, I plunge repeatedly up and down until I get the angle right.

 

"Yes! Justin, oh Justin right there! Right there, yes, right there!"

 

I let go of his wrists to bury my hands in his hair and latch onto his mouth, raising my hips a bit I let him take control, holding my hips firmly he thrusts quickly up into me, my hips quiver in his grasp but he doesn't let go, he pulls my cheeks further apart and thrusts up harder.

 

I see stars and our grunts and cries of pleasure bounce off the studio walls. Sweat pours into my eyes and I feel pre-cum splashing against me as my cock bounces with each thrust, I kiss him again before I rip my mouth away and throw my head back.

 

"Ooh, oh Christ, oh Christ, fuck, Jus-Justin, so cl-close!"

 

"Fuck! Yes, stud, yes!"

 

Those words were all it took, I explode all over his stomach and hips and sink down onto him, and he pumps sharply into me three times more as his orgasm takes him, I cry out in surprise as my second orgasm hits me.

 

"Ah! Ah! Ah! Oh, God!"

 

My spasming walls cause another orgasm to ripple through him.

 

"Unh! Brian! Brian! Yes!"

 

I lay on top of him as the aftershocks ripple through us both. He strokes my back and I feel cum run down my crack, sighing, I roll onto my back and pull him onto my chest. We lay there for a few minutes getting our breath back and looking at each other in delight.

 

"We are not going to share that one with anybody. Where did you learn that?"

 

I shrug and smile, Bruno is still playing.

 

"I just decided to go with it... go with it, slow with it, slow with it, it's our first time..."

 

He chuckles and runs his fingers through my sweaty hair. He wrinkles his nose cutely and sighs.

 

"We need to get another futon." He shifts out of the considerable wet spot.

 

My chuckle rumbles in my chest and I nod and he kisses my chin.

 

"I love you so much you know..." He murmurs.

 

"And I love you more and nobody but nobody will ever change my mind."

 

"We have to do something about him. It cannot go on like this."

 

"I know, and we will, but right now I have to do two things..."

 

"What?

 

I pause Bruno and find my phone.

 

"Call Em and see if he can keep the boys till the morning and then show you what that feels like."

 

And that's exactly what he did. Emmett happily kept the boys and felt smug about his assist in getting Baby and his Stud back on track and the rest of the time at Britin was happier for all - and the boys didn't mention anything about them walking funny.

 

Michael almost got away with it again... being believed about the boozy black hole in his memory - by some more than others, with the kids forgiving him first. But Brian and Justin continue to keep their distance, until fate intervenes to bring them back together and not in a positive life-affirming way...

 

TBC

 

End Notes:

Fingers crossed there is no double loading this time.  Enjoy hopefully xx

Chapter 4 by MissMerlot

 

4 - THE WHISPER OF DEATH

 

The New Year's party was a great success, with Michael behaving himself, well as much as he could. He's still smarting over his lack of key, he and Linds get together to bitch about the injustice of it all when they can. He's determined to get one for himself no matter what anybody says, he just needs to come up with the perfect reason, although the friendship is back on, it's not what it was, but of course, Michael doesn't see that.

 

Winter was brutal in the Pitts but that means one thing for Hunter, ice skating, he's always wanted to try it and after a bit of badgering and eyelash batting, he persuades Ben to give it a go and to their surprise not only is Ben good at it but he likes it too. So every Saturday they go to the rink or if it is safe enough the pond in the park. Michael never joins them, it's too cold for him and he can't skate - let's be honest, he also can't dance, as that too, requires coordination but I digress...

 

...winter hung on until late March, it was bitterly cold and of course Ben and Hunter picked up heavy colds, with Ben's taking longer to shift than Hunter's.

 

MARCH 2014

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER'S HOME - MID-MARCH

 

HUNTER:

 

"Do you think that dad is losing weight?" I ask Michael quietly.

 

"No not really, why would you think that? He looks fine to me."

 

Yeah, it would help if you looked at him though, I thought.

 

Just then Dad comes in and I don't care what Michael wants to say. He does look like he's lost weight and that cold is still there, in fact, it sounds worse. And he's looking really tired these days.

 

"Hey, are you good? I've got to go to work, but I will be home by three. Are you up for a skate session at the rink?"

 

Dad nods and smiles, he takes out our skates and then heads to the kitchen for some coffee. He starts coughing and almost doubles over as it rattles through his body. He waves away my concern and tells me to go to work and he'll see me later.

 

I head out although my mind keeps drifting back to how fucking awful that coughing was. I am distracted at work and making stupid mistakes, in the end, my boss calls me over to have a word.

 

"Hunter, what's going on with you, you are normally more on the ball than this?"

 

"Sorry Larry, it's just that I think my dad is sick and that's preoccupying me at the moment, he's got this cold that doesn't seem to be shifting..."

 

Larry, who knows about Ben and me, throws his hands up in a dramatic fashion and scowls.

 

"Oh for fuck sake, why didn't you say? Go home and look after him, lots of chicken soup!"

 

I smile gratefully at him and head to my locker to collect my things. I check my phone and there is a message from Michael, my heart hits my boots...

 

I'm running, running to the only person I know can help me, I burst through to reception and almost fall into Ted's arms with tears streaming down my face.

 

"Hunter, what's wrong? Bethany, can you find Brian!"

 

"But he's..."

 

"Go find him!"

 

I'm trying to breathe and speak at the same time.

 

"Slow down, take a breath, what's happened?"

 

"Dad," I manage to croak out before taking in another lungful of air. "Dad collapsed!"

 

The next twenty minutes pass in a blur, I don't even remember getting into Brian's car. We get to Allegheny and spot Carl outside.

 

"I called him, so we would know where to go," Brian explains.

 

In my haste to get out of the car, I struggle with the seatbelt, getting frustrated that I can't undo it.

 

"Hunter, Hunter stop, just stop, let me do it," Carl states, reaching to unlatch it.

 

I hadn't even heard the door open, and I tried to run inside, but he stops me.

 

"Hunter! I know you want to see him but you need to calm down okay? Okay?"

 

I nod and let him guide me to the room.

 

What I see almost makes me puke, he's connected to all kinds of things, he's pale and has a tube down his throat and there is no way in fuck that people can say he's not lost weight. He looks almost skeletal compared to how he usually looks.

 

"Jesus," Brian whispers as he comes into the room. "What the hell happened, where's Michael?"

 

"Speaking to the doctors, I think," Carl replies as he gently pushes me into the seat next to Dad's bed and goes to sit down by the door.

 

I grasp Dad's hand and it's still warm, but barely, I feel a brief squeeze, he's still here.

 

"So I guess we're not skating today, huh?" I whisper to him.

 

"Is that all you can think about?! Skating? I wouldn't be surprised if that's..."

 

"Finish that sentence, Michael, and you will be in the next bed in the ICU..." Carl snarls.

 

Michael whirls round in surprise.

 

"Carl! You scared me!"

 

"What did the doctor say?" I ask.

 

"Pneumonia, he has pneumonia." He sits on the other side grasping his other hand.

 

"Is that what caused the weight loss?" I ask.

 

"They're not sure about that, but right now they are treating him for pneumonia; all we can do is wait."

 

We sit in silence just the beeps of the machine and the occasional rattle of breath bounce off the walls.

 

JUSTIN:

 

Please don't let him die, please don't let him die. I am driving as fast as I can towards the hospital, I had to arrange flights for the girls and the kids and that took a while. Brian isn't answering his phone and my guts are churning. I reach the hospital at the same time as Em and Drew. Deb is outside waiting for us and she quickly takes us to the room, she's so quiet, it's unnerving.

 

I stagger back when I see him, luckily Carl catches me before I hit the ground.

 

"Why the hell has he lost all of that weight?" I gasp.

 

"That's what I want to know."

 

I turn and sink gratefully into Brian's arms; he kisses the top of my head and hugs me tightly.

 

"It's just pneumonia," Michael says.

 

"No, it's more than that, it's too much weight," Hunter interjects. "Something is really wrong."

 

Then all hell breaks loose, the machines start beeping and Ben starts jerking. Carl leaps and presses the alarm.

 

The next few weeks are a case of coming to the hospital every night to see Dad. I am bone tired, but I have to be there.

 

CARL:

 

Poor kid looks exhausted. A couple of times I have seen him almost hit the floor but he's pulled himself up and powered on through. Where he gets his strength from is anyone's guess but he's here every day. He's even given up his job to be here, still can't believe it's the same kid from those years back and he's my grandson.

 

"Hunter, why don't you go to grandma's and get a couple of hours sleep, you know we will call you if anything changes."

 

He shakes his head and makes his way into Ben's room once more.

 

MICHAEL:

 

These last few weeks have been horrendous but at least my friends are around me now. As I make my way to Ben's room, I spot Justin and Ma, I make my way over and sink into the seat next to her.

 

"Any change?"

 

"No, nothing."

 

"Who's in with him?"

 

"Jenny."

 

"Where's Hunter?" I demand.

 

"Getting some well-deserved sleep." Justin snaps. "He's been here every night..."

 

I stiffen at his tone, does he have any idea what I am going through right now, how selfish he is being.

 

"I'm going in."

 

As I stand, I take the coffee from Ma, she's so surprised that she just lets go of it.

 

"But..." She begins.

 

"Ma, I need this more than you."

 

I head inside and Jenny is sleeping with her head on the side of Ben's bed. I stroke her head but she doesn't stir.

 

"Don't worry Honeybun, you and I are going to be just fine, you'll see."

 

I sit down on the other side of the bed and wait, waiting for signs of life.

 

DEB & CARL'S HOUSE

 

HUNTER:

 

Shit, why can't I move, fuck I'm paralyzed, I try to move my legs but can't. I start to panic and then scream for help.

 

"What! What the fuck is going on?!" Someone bursts through the door as there is a loud thud.

 

"My legs, I can't move my legs!" I yell half-asleep struggling to get my legs to move.

 

"Hunter! Wake up, wake up please!"

 

I recognize that voice, it's Emmett.

 

"Emmett?" I croak.

 

"Yes, it's me, it was just a bad dream; you're okay, honey you're okay."

 

He rocks me and rubs my back; it feels so good to be held by someone.

 

"Emmett? Is it my fault, was it the skating?"

 

"You stop that bullshit right now!" Gus yells from the door.

 

We look stunned at Gus, who is holding a tray with milkshake and cookies, he sets it down.

 

"Gus..."

 

"No, you are going to listen to me, James Hunter Novotny Bruckner! This is not your fault! None of it! Do you understand me? Not. Your. Fault!"

 

Emmett and I look at each other still stunned and just nod.

 

"Good, now let's eat. Oh, and if anybody tells you that it is your fault, let me know and I will get dad to have them killed."

 

I smile, my best friend has my back, we hear the door open and Jenny calls up.

 

"Up here!" I shout and she comes barreling in immediately hopping into bed with us and wrapping her arms around my waist.

 

"How are you doing? You look a lot better; did you sleep well?" She snags a cookie.

 

"Do you want me to..." Emmett asks.

 

"No, no of course not. Help yourself to a cookie, Emmett."

 

"Excuse me, Auntie Em, if you please!"

 

I blink back tears and drink my shake.

 

Ben continues to deteriorate. Hunter is firm in his belief that it is something other than pneumonia that is causing this but Michael refuses to listen, saying the doctor's know best, leading to an almighty row which ends up with Michael making his way tearfully to Britin.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN:

 

I cannot believe this! He's here, sitting in my home, drinking my brandy, again, crying his eyes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm as devastated about Ben, but I can't help feeling the way I feel.

 

"C... Can I stay here tonight? I can't face Hunter..." He whimpers.

 

Brian looks at me and I shrug and nod. He shoots me a grateful look.

 

"Let's go make you up a bed."

 

He stumbles into Brian's arms sobbing again.

 

Twenty minutes later, Brian comes down and takes a deep breath before running his fingers through his hair.

 

"I know, I know, thank you, baby." He brings me into his arms.

 

"Where's Hunter, did he tell you?"

 

Brian frowns and shakes his head.

 

"You mean to say he's left him at home alone?"

 

"Surely not, let me..."

 

We hear the thud of footsteps rushing down the stairs.

 

"Dad, Papa, is it okay that I go see Hunter, he's at grandma's; he's had a fight with Uncle Michael and..."

 

"Well, at least we know where he is. Sure, Gus, you go, let me call the service." Brian says.

 

Twenty minutes later, we are curled up in our usual seat, sipping on Beam and alone with our thoughts when Michael comes in.

 

"Couldn't sleep," he explains and settles down on the couch, putting his feet on the table.

 

"What was the row about?" I ask.

 

"He's suddenly an expert, reckoning that it is something more than pneumonia. I set him straight that the doctors know best, but he keeps banging on about it and in the end, I lost my temper; with all of this it was just too much."

 

He gets up and helps himself to another brandy and I grind my teeth at the amount he is pouring in... it is going to be a long night.

 

The night turns into days as Michael returns to Britin every night instead of his house claiming that he can't deal with Hunter.

 

I had just come in from setting up a show when I heard them in the lounge.

 

"No Michael, I won't do that."

 

"Why not? It saves you both from waiting up for me to come back from the hospital."

 

"I said no, Michael, just call the service like you have been doing. And besides, it is not my place to give you a key, this is Justin's house, remember? You would need to ask him."

 

I could just leap into his arms, rip his clothes off and fuck him right there! I creep back to the door and slam it announcing my arrival.

 

"What's up, guys? How's Ben doing, any change?"

 

Michael shakes his head and leaves the room saying he's going to the hospital.

 

"Next time you want to be sneaky, it would be best to duck down when you pass the mirror..."

 

I chuckle and bury myself into his chest.

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL

 

HUNTER:

 

Well fuck this, I am going to speak to the doctor myself. I head to the hospital and everyone is there, this is not good.

 

This is not happening; this is not fucking happening! How can he be like this, this is not pneumonia alone, why won't people listen to me! And now they are saying we've got to say goodbye, got to say goodbye to the only guy who has given me his time and his love without wanting anything in return.

 

Brian takes my shoulder and gently steers me towards the door, I had been rooted to the spot since Emmett came out.

 

"Want me to come in with you? Or maybe Justin?" He murmurs.

 

I shake my head, Michael is comforting Jenny who has been to say her goodbyes, he calls out to me to wait.

 

"Don't take too long..."

 

"Michael!" Carl growls. "For once, can you think before you fucking speak?!"

 

He scowls at Carl and goes back to comforting Jenny.

 

Taking a deep breath, I head inside, the sight that greets me, tears at my gut and my heart. He's been unhooked from the respirator so it's just a matter of waiting for him to die. Amazingly enough for someone dying, he looks so peaceful, oh the irony, I turn back to the closing door in time to see Brian nod at me and give me a small smile, his eyes glistening.

 

"Dad. Can you hear me? Of course, you can hear me, what am I saying, what a stupid fucking question..."

 

I sit down by his side and take his hand. He's surprisingly warm; I stroke his long fingers, willing them to move, for him to do anything to show me that the strong man who saved my life is fighting to save his own, nothing, not a thing.

 

"It's funny you know, the first time I saw you and you kept harassing me, I kept thinking why the fuck is this guy bothering with me, why doesn't he just leave me be... and now that's the last thing I want, I will do anything just please don't leave me! Don't leave me to face this alone, I am only strong because of you! Come on, fight this and come back to me! You've made me this better person simply by loving me and accepting me for who I could be, not for who I was, please come back and stay with me, stay with me, Dad! Dads stay the fuck with... I will even go to your crappy uni if that's what it takes for you to come back... just..."

 

I know I am shouting but I still hear the door open and feel a strong pair of arms come around me, I know it's Brian.

 

"Do something, don't let it take him..." I shout at him.

 

"The only person that can do something is Be..."

 

"No, please Brian, please listen. I had the same pills that Ben did and they made me sicker, maybe..."

 

"Let me talk to the doctor."

 

"Please, please, I'm begging you, talk to the doctor, everyone thinks I'm..."

 

"Brian, please..." Ben croaks.

 

We whirl around to face him and watch incredulously as his eyes flicker open... Brian slams on the alarm and as the medics swarm in we are shoved out of the room but not before Brian talks to the doctor.

 

"What the fuck did you do now?" Michael snaps, trying to run into the room, but is stopped by Carl.

 

Two hours later, we are all in the hallway in shock. Justin is sobbing in Brian's arms; Michael's crying and comforting Jenny; Debbie's being held by Carl. Emmett is on the phone to Drew whirling his arms around and I am standing by the door, looking at him through the glass window, he is so still so very still.

 

I don't know how long I've been standing there, until I feel Gus' strong thin arms holding me tightly muttering something but I can't hear over the roaring in my ears and I realize I am sobbing. I knew it! I knew it was the pills. Once the doctor listened to Brian and did more tests, he ordered a flush and dad started to rally.

 

He's back; my dad is back!

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - BEN'S ROOM NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL:

 

Ben is sleeping, I find the beep of the machine comforting, the sound of Hunter snoring less so. I understand that he wants to be here but Ben is my husband first and his father second so I take priority and I make the decisions, the first one is that when he wakes up is that he's going home. The second one, is no more skating, if they hadn't been doing that, he wouldn't have caught a fucking cold in the first place.

 

Hopefully, as long as he continues to stabilize, he won't be in this room much longer as, of course, my best friend came through for me and arranged a private suite for me.

 

The door opens and the doctor comes in, the sound jolts Hunter awake.

 

"What's happened?" He cries out.

 

"Nothing Hunter, calm down, your dad is fine." The doctor chuckles.

 

Hunter wipes his mouth, gets up and lopes to the bathroom with his toiletry bag, within seconds we hear the buzz of his toothbrush.

 

"Whts bjppnning wfhg dad nwrf?" He asks

 

The doctor's grinning and shaking his head.

 

"How about you finish brushing your teeth and then ask the question?"

 

He nods sheepishly and comes back out a minute later.

 

"What's happening with dad now - was that your question?" He nods. "Nothing his T-Cell count is coming back up and the pneumonia is receding, all in all, he's going to be fine, though he's going to have to bulk up as that's an awful lot of weight to lose on his frame."

 

"That's good to hear."

 

We all jump at Brian's voice, I get up and hug my best friend, and then Justin comes in. He heads straight to Ben and kisses him on the forehead. What the fuck?

 

"Hey, Justin."

 

"Dad!"

 

"Hunter, for crying out loud, stop yelling." I snap.

 

"Hey big guy, how are you feeling?" Justin asks.

 

"According to the doc, not so big, but I am heading in the right direction thanks to Hunter."

 

He blushes and shifts on his feet.

 

"Well, um..."

 

"Hey Littlest, take praise where it's due. If it wasn't for you, well..." Brian trails off.

 

"Littlest?" The doctor asks.

 

The doctor looks at me, and Ben and Justin smile, I shrug. I have no idea.

 

"It's a nickname he had for me from a while back, he's not called me that in a while."

 

The doctor nods in understanding and I can see Hunter is trying not to cry.

 

Brian leans towards Hunter and bumps shoulders with him. Justin is stroking the hair off of Ben's forehead, I bustle over and get between the two of them, looking meaningfully at Brian. He doesn't seem to notice.

 

"So when is he getting out of this hell hole?" Hunter clears his throat and asks.

 

"Thanks for that description. I'd say about a week, maybe ten days, but the most important thing is his diet. Sorry Ben, but you need to put on weight and quickly but carefully, so your body can heal. I will put together a diet plan and you need to be on it for at least three, maybe six months, depending on your recovery."

 

"He'll be on it, trust me doc," Hunter mutters.

 

"Yes, I will make sure of it." I assert.

 

"Obviously with the new diet, comes the exercise plan, I can recommend a physio for you..."

 

"A physio, can't I just go to the gym?"

 

"No, in your current weakened state that would be counterproductive, let me pull a list of names for you."

 

Ben nods and relaxes into his pillow.

 

"Now, gentlemen, I think it is high time that Ben got some rest, so everyone out."

 

He herds us to the door and out. Hunter rubs his face and sighs.

 

"Hunter, are you okay?" Justin asks.

 

"Just a litt..."

 

Brian manages to catch him before he hits the floor.

 

BEN:

 

What the fuck is going on out there, I can hear shouting and someone calling Hunter's name, I am so fucking tired, but I need to see what's wrong with my boy. I swing my legs out and immediately a wave of dizziness hits me; I swallow down the nausea that comes with it and steady myself. But before I could start to walk the lights went out.

 

I'm not sure how long I was out for, but when I open my eyes, they lock onto the deep brown ones of a very concerned looking Jenny.

 

"Papa!" She shrieks. "Sorry, I didn't mean to shout. How are you feeling?"

 

"Hunter?" I groan, trying to sit up.

 

"Lie back down, he's fine." She is trying to push me back down but I want to see my boy

 

"Hun..."

 

"Is right next to you, papa."

 

I look around and sure enough, Hunter is in there in the next bed sound asleep but the room is different.

 

"This is not my room, I mean it's..."

 

"Papa, you need to rest, Hunter is fine, exhausted but fine. So..."

 

"When did you get here?" I ask her.

 

"What do you mean here? You mean the hospital?"

 

I nod and immediately regret that as another wave of dizziness hits me but thankfully no nausea. I am so thirsty.

 

"Can I have some water please?"

 

She leaps to get it and gently puts the straw in my mouth.

 

"Slowly, Papa, drink slowly."

 

There is a groan and rustling from the other side of the room.

 

"What the fuck happened, why am I in here?" Hunter mumbles.

 

"Oh, thank fuck, I mean God, you are finally awake! Let me get the doctor, are you going to be okay with this, Papa?"

 

I nod as she dashes out shouting at the top of her lungs.

 

"Maybe you should've told her about the call button," Hunter says, carefully standing up.

 

I chuckle and wait for him to make it to my side.

 

"Do you have any idea how proud I am of you?"

 

He shrugs and looks away.

 

"Hey, hey look at me."

 

I wait until he does.

 

"I am here because of you..."

 

"Likewise," he mutters and kisses me on the forehead.

 

"What the hell are you doing out of bed?" Booms a voice we all know and love.

 

Deb came into the room with what smells like ziti with Carl behind her, he does not look happy.

 

"Hunter, come on, bed now," Carl orders, taking his arm and guiding him back to bed.

 

"Honestly, I'm fine."

 

"Yeah, people always faint when they are fine."

 

He grumbles hovering over him and then tucking in the sheets and then sitting down next to him. Jenny burst through the door with a mildly amused doctor behind her.

 

"Nice to see you are both awake gentlemen."

 

He comes to me first and checks my pulse and looks through my notes a bit and nods.

 

"Well, that little attempted jaunt has had no lasting effect; you can still go home next week."

 

He turns to check on Hunter.

 

"As for you young man..."

 

"What happened to him?" I ask.

 

"Well, his T-cell count has dropped a bit, but that's no cause for alarm. I suspect it was caused by dehydration exacerbated by exhaustion and I don't think he's been eating enough..."

 

"I was more concerned about..."

 

"When was the last time you ate something?" Deb demanded.

 

"A couple of days ago, there wasn't much in the house and I didn't feel like cooking for myself..."

 

"For yourself, what do you mean?" Carl demanded.

 

"In the evenings I mean, I mean after I..."

 

"After you what?" Deb demands.

 

"Michael and I had a row, and he's been staying at Britin..."

 

"What! Are you fucking kidding me? He left you alone!"

 

"Jenny, stop shouting. And calm down, it was just at night..."

 

The door opens and the man of the hour comes in all smiles with Brian and Justin behind him. Jenny rushes into Justin's arms and starts to cry. Michael is immediately by my side grasping my hand tightly.

 

"Oh, Jenny, what is it, what's happened? Doc?" Justin asks.

 

"Um, I'm not sure..."

 

"Are you not medically..."

 

"Brian!" Justin warns.

 

"Sorry Doc, but..."

 

"No problem, no problem at all, it has been a trying time for you all. Medically, they are both on the road to recovery, Ben is on schedule for discharge next week and as for Hunter, his T-cell count will come back up when he starts taking better care of himself and..."

 

"What do you mean, better care of himself, what the fuck is going on?" This time it's Jennifer.

 

"Enough! Seriously, it is like Grand Central Station in here. I'm the doctor, and I'm the only one allowed to speak for the next ten minutes. Does everyone understand!"

 

He looks around, then shakes his head.

 

"Now, as I was saying. They are both on the road to recovery, and as long as they follow my advice, they'll make a full recovery. But no nobody speaks but me, remember, Hunter needs to eat more, lots of carbs. His vitamin deficiency is also a worry but, seriously shush, again this can be helped by a good diet, and again, I will run tests and prepare a diet plan for him. As for his discharge, I think a couple of days here are needed to set him up, seriously Mrs. Horvath let me finish, so he has a solid foundation to build on. And we will be looking at both their meds and adjusting where necessary. Okay, now you can speak?"

 

And of course, nobody says a word, I think we are all too shocked about Hunter.

 

"Thanks, doctor, sorry let me introduce myself. I'm Jennifer Taylor, Justin's mother, and Hunter's grandmother. We can get a little intense sometimes as you can tell and..."

 

"Oh my God, what happened?" Emmett comes shrieking into the room. "I leave for a couple of days and you're in the hospital! Doctor, tell me immediately what is going on with my Littlest!"

 

His hands are on his hips and he has such a determined look on his face that I burst out laughing.

 

"What? What's so funny, Ben?" Michael is confused.

 

"I, oh gosh, I just had an, an image, this, Em, I mean he, just this is what Deb would look like as a gay man!"

 

"Oh, hell to the fuck, no you didn't!"

 

The entire room erupts with laughter. Once everyone calms down, the doctor leaves saying he will be back later to check on us but they can't stay any longer than ten minutes, and he will be sending someone down to check.

 

JENNIFER:

 

I look around the room and constantly marvel at the fact that this adorable and sometimes frustrating ragamuffin group are my family, yes, I said family. I never in my life thought that I would be a grandmother to three teenagers but here I am and proudly so. Hunter and I took a while to get to know each other, I suppose I came with my fears and misconceptions over HIV, but once Deb and Ben explained everything and assuaged my fears, I was fine.

 

"What happens when Hunter is discharged? He can't stay by himself at night."

 

At Jenny's question, I whip my head up. At night, what is this, at night?

 

"Maybe he can come to Britin and we can look after him?" Gus calls from the door.

 

"I think it would be better for him to stay with his grandma, Gus, after all, he needs to fatten up and nobody can feed like my ma," he says proudly. "And besides, if anything goes wrong, he'll be nearer the hospital."

 

"No Michael, he can't do that, I have double shifts all week. Kiki is out, recovering from her, well you know."

 

A collective shudder goes through the men in the room... even Carl.

 

"Dad, you are being silly! Hunter will simply go home and you look after him, that's what parents do, after all." Jenny chides him.

 

"That's true. I can whip up some stuff and fill your freezer so you don't have to cook at least. Well, that's that sorted then." Deb states.

 

"But..." Michael stammers.

 

"And speaking of eating, can someone rustle up some plates? The feeding starts now. Actually, this fucking thing is cold, wait let me sort this out." She bustles out heading to God knows where.

 

The door opens again and Mel and Linds come in loaded down with coffee and I think donuts, at least that's what it smells like, I see Hunter lick his lips.

 

"Okay everyone, back up!" I demand, channeling my inner Deb.

 

"What..." Michael begins again.

 

"Hunter and Ben get to choose first. Do you have a problem with that Michael?" I give him the gimlet eye and he's quiet.

 

"I know exactly what Hunter wants," Gus says, digging into the bag.

 

"I'll pick one for papa." Jenny joins him in the digging.

 

A few minutes later, Hunter and Ben are sighing contentedly having had a couple of donuts each, there is a low hum of conversation before Deb comes back in the smell of ziti fills the room, where the hell did she get plates and cutlery from, seriously she is one hell of a resourceful woman!

 

The doctor comes back in and shakes his head.

 

"How, just how? First, you are still here and second, there's more of you?"

 

"Welcome to our world," Justin mutters darkly.

 

"Come on doc, grab a plate and you can tell us exactly what needs to be done..."

 

Deb digs into the ziti and gives him the look... he shrugs and grabs a plate.

 

"So..." Brian drawls.

 

"Um, yeah, well. Hang on, this is good ziti. Right, ahem. So here are the diet plans and the list of physios..."

 

"Who do you recommend off that list?" I ask, taking it from him.

 

"Well, Steve Smart is good and I know for a fact that he hasn't got any clients. He can see them, yes I said them, that includes you, Hunter, straight away."

 

"Okay, I will contact him and get that sorted out, now the diet?"

 

Immediately people start to crowd the poor guy.

 

"Everyone, back the fuck off, for crying out loud!" Deb bellows.

 

He shows me the sheet and I pass it to Deb, who winces slightly, she tries to hand it to Michael but is intercepted by Justin.

 

"Ah, I see the problem." Brian drawls.

 

"Problem, what problem?" The doc asks.

 

"Practicing Buddhist and semi-vegetarian..." Justin answers.

 

"Oh, ah, I see. Well, I can recommend alternatives for the ones that are too much..."

 

"They're eating everything on there, I want my buff son and grandson back. No arguing!" Deb states fixing Ben with a stare and turns to Hunter, who is on his third donut.

 

"Are there donuts on there?" He asks hopefully. "If not, I'm getting my fill now."

 

"They will be," Carl murmurs.

 

"Right, now that this is sorted, I insist that you all leave, they need their rest," Doc says.

 

Reluctantly, people start to gather their things and we file out.

 

MEL:

 

What a fucking time this has been. I cannot believe that Hunter ended up in there too, but according to Jenny, he's been there every night, so I am not surprised that it took its toll.

 

"Okay, so where are we headed? We've got to work out a babysitting schedule for Hunter and get the fridge stocked, though some of the things on the list I have not heard of..." Deb trailed off.

 

"Why don't we go back to the loft as it's closer, and work on things there?" I suggest.

 

This is met by nods by everyone but Brian and Justin.

 

"We can't. We have a dinner with Leo Brown and his family tonight and need to prepare for that. Why don't you guys call tomorrow and let us know what's been agreed?" Justin explains.

 

I nod and they leave, I can't help the smile on my face as I watch Brian Kinney, yes the slut of Liberty Avenue, bury his fingers in Justin's hair and kiss his temple before he gets in the car, they pause and talk to each other, looking back at our motley crew, Brian nods and smiles.

 

"Right, the loft everyone..."

 

"Wait!"

 

I hear Brian call out.

 

"Why don't we take Gus and Jenny with us..."

 

"I thought you had a dinner to prepare for?" Michael sounds pissed.

 

"We do, but Leo's bringing his family, which includes his grandchildren and it might be nice to..."

 

"Give the kids a break from all this sh... stuff." Carl cuts in.

 

I look at Linds who nods and I turn to the hopeful faces of our children.

 

"What time do you need them?"

 

"We'll take them now, come on you two!"

 

And with that, they are gone.

 

Michael glowers as Brian's car speeds off into the distance, what the hell crawled up his ass?!

 

We reach the loft and I immediately pour myself a drink. Everyone settles down with Michael and Linds huddled together, I am not sure what they are talking about, but I keep hearing the word key, this is fucking annoying!

 

"Quinoa, what the hell is that?" Deb is reading the diet sheet.

 

"A grain, easily digestible and full of fiber," Jennifer explains.

 

The list is passed from person to person, eliciting chuckles from some and confusion from others.

 

"Oh, there is no way in hell you are going to get him to eat kale, unless we put it in a burger... that might work, yeah I can do that. Leave this with me, I will have them both buff in no time."

 

Emmett says, pulling out his notebook and then starts making some calls.

 

"Michael, is there anything you want to contribute to this discussion?" I'm snarking, I know.

 

"Not really, I just don't know how I'm going to afford all of this stuff..."

 

I raise my eyebrows at him, now I know he didn't just say that, clearly, he has forgotten that I know what Brian and Justin did for him.

 

"Excuse me. Say that to me again and this time think first. And what the hell are you two whispering about?"

 

Carl looks between the two of us but says nothing.

 

"Well, if you must know, Mel, since Michael is staying in Britin until Ben's..."

 

"But he's going to be going back to his place tonight to prepare for Hunter's discharge, aren't you?"

 

"Well no, I'm going back to Britin to stay the night until then..."

 

"How did Hunter get to the hospital every day?" Carl asks.

 

"Huh?" He looks a little shifty.

 

"How did my grandson get to the hospital every day if you were at Britin, and how did you get to Britin in the first place?" Carl demands.

 

"As you know, we had a row over Hunter's insistence that there was something else wrong..."

 

"Which he was right about," Jennifer interjects and is now standing.

 

"Anyway, moving on. I drove there and the car was there until now..."

 

"Well, that explains the exhaustion, poor kid having to take the bus all the time."

 

"Have you been opening the store?" Deb asks.

 

"No, of course not. I have been focused on Ben. I had to stay at ho... I mean Britin between visiting hours because I couldn't get a key, if they had given me a key, then they wouldn't have had to wait up to let me in. But Justin said no to that, I can't understand it, it makes perfect sense."

 

"I agree with Michael, it would've been easier for him to have been..." Linds begins.

 

That's it! I've had enough.

 

"No! No, it wouldn't have been easier!" I bellow the room falls silent.

 

"Let me call you back, things are getting good," Emmett mutters into his phone.

 

"Let me tell you two things. Brian is with Justin! Justin! Justin, and once more Justin! He bought the house for Justin! It is his house and he decides who comes and goes in it! You two have partners remember, me and Ben? You do not, do not, I repeat do not, need a key to Britin. In the highly unlikely event that you are not metaphorically humping his leg or up his ass, you will most likely be with Brian in the event of any emergency Michael, and believe me, you have no idea how annoying that is. And Linds, care to explain to me how you would be able to get to Britin in an emergency when you live in Toronto and the flight takes an hour, and we are forty-five minutes from the airport!"

 

"Mel!" Linds admonishes.

 

"And how could you, Michael, leave Hunter alone like that? If you had been the parent you fought to be - do you remember that because I do - I was the lawyer he hired, you would've gone home the next day but no you didn't, why is that? Your son needed you! But no, you wanted - correction needed - to be with Brian because he's your best friend! Well, I have news for you, you may think he's your best friend but he's not yours, he stopped being that years ago..."

 

"You don't know anything, Mel!" Michael shouts back.

 

"I know this! The only person in Toronto that is entitled to have a key is Gus because he is the only person that needs to get in there, and the only people in the Pitts that are entitled to have keys are Brian and Justin because they live there..."

 

"And Ted!" Michael snarks.

 

"Your memory is back then." Jennifer snipes.

 

Michael's face turns bright red. Deb shakes her head.

 

"You two best listen and know this. It stops, this key shit, stops right now. Do you understand?"

 

Reluctantly, they both nod and then we are all startled when the buzzer sounds.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Delivery for Michael Novotny Bruckner."

 

"Um, come up."

 

I turn to Michael who, for once, looks genuinely confused.

 

"What did you order?"

 

"Nothing?"

 

I open the door and the delivery guy shoves two large boxes into the room.

 

"Sign here please." I hand the machine to Michael.

 

We all look at them warily.

 

"Well open them!" Deb calls from behind Carl.

 

Michael tears open the first box and gasps.

 

"What, what's in there?" Emmett calls from the bedroom. When the hell did he come?

 

"It's, it's my stuff, all the stuff I had in Britin..."

 

Jennifer chuckles.

 

"No overnight stay for you then."

 

BRITIN

 

I watch him warily from under my lashes, he's not said a word since he packed all of Michael's stuff.

 

"Feel better?"

 

"Yes, so much better, Sunshine," he answers, sweeping me into his arms in a toe-curling kiss.

 

TBC

 

 

Chapter 5 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 5 – HERE’S TO HEALTH

 

THE LOFT

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe it!  I cannot believe that little shit, little Mr Boy Wonder has sent my stuff back like that, as if I was nothing!  Well we will soon see about this.  I snatch up my phone and quickly dial the number.

 

                “Brian!  Oh for crying out fucking loud!  Brian it’s me, call me back when you get this message.”

 

Everyone is looking at me, I have never been so angry in my life, I keep pacing and scowling.

 

                “Michael why did you call Brian?”  Carl asks

 

                “So he can know what that little…what’s happened!”

 

                “What has happened exactly?”  Mel asks coolly

 

I look at her incredulously, then gesture at the boxes, she shrugs.

 

                “You are going to need your stuff back now that you are home and you have to get the house ready for Hunter and Ben when they are discharged.  I know that Hunter had been spending every hour that God sent at the hospital so I should imagine the place needs going over….”  Ma begins

 

                “Good point well raised.  So Michael you will be going now, you have a house to clean after all.”

 

Mel grabs my arm and starts guiding me the door.  

 

                “These won’t fit in my car.”  I argue

 

                “Well take one and we will drop the other off on the way home, okay Carl?”  Ma asks

 

Carl nods.

 

                “I need some help getting it down to the car.” 

 

Lindz leaps up to help and together we manage to get it into the elevator and down to my car.  She gives me a hug as we haul it into the boot.

 

                “Look call me okay, it will be fine, and everyone is just stressed once everything is back to normal it will be fine you’ll see…the natural order of things will be restored.”

 

I nod and head home, I am still seething but I know she’s right it will be fine. 

 

THE LOFT

 

Everyone looks at each other and slowly the grins start and then the giggles, until there are tears streaking down faces.

 

CARL

 

                “Did you see his face when he opened that box?”  I am gasping for breath

 

Debs gives me a hard shove but is wiping tears off her face.

 

                “He looked like someone had edged him and then walked away…”  Emmett cackles holding his sides

 

                “Edged?”  Jennifer queries dabbing her eyes with a tissue

 

                “Um get you to that point of almost no return and bring you back down to build you back up…”

 

                “Oh.”  She blushes and then grimaces.  “Thanks for the visual”

 

We all realise what she means and shudder.  Then we hear the creak of the elevator as it makes its way back up.

 

                “Shush!  Lindz is coming back.”  Mel admonishes and schools her features to neutral

 

Lindz comes in and looks round.

 

                “So are we going to sort this food out?  Shall I contact the physio?”  She attempts to take the list

 

                “As I said in the hospital I will sort that out.” 

 

Jennifer moves the list out of her reach and puts it in her purse.

 

                “So who’s up for Chinese?”  Emmett trills

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

Once I get indoors, I have to take two trips because I couldn’t take the box out without it tearing, my heart sinks, it is clear that Hunter had not stayed here after our row, the house looked a tip, there were dirty dishes and the house smelt funky.  This is going to be a big job and I am not doing this alone, time to call for reinforcements.

 

                “Brian?  Hi look, I have a problem, the house is a tip since Hunter skipped out can you send Alice over so she can help with clean up?   I need to get their food and shit and can’t do that and this.  You can?  I knew I could rely on you thanks.  Love you and always will”

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

We exchange looks.

 

                “What just happened?”

 

I have seen many faces of Brian; anger, hurt, bewilderment, lust and of course love but I have never ever seen him flabbergasted, yes that is the expression, flabbergasted.

 

                “Come on baby, let’s get ready for the Browns we can deal with this later.”

 

I tug him out of his reverie and towards the bathroom.

 

                “How did…”

 

                “Baby later, we deal with it later.”

 

I drop a soft kiss on his stunned mouth and he nods, for now Michael does not exist.

 

The evening with the Brows was a great success, everyone had fun, but it was a long night and it was after midnight when the Browns left and the kids were dead on their feet so it was an easy task to get them into bed.  Brian and Justin flopped on the bed, too tired to get undressed, and looked at each other.

 

                “An IOU fuck, rim and blow job.”  Justin asked hopefully

 

                “Deal.”  Brian nodded his eyes already closing.

 

He pulled Justin over to his chest and the room reverberated to the sound of gentle snoring [Brian] and snuffling [Justin] for now all was good in their world.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S HOUSE – NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL

 

As promised Alice came over.  She cast an eye over the home and looked at me expectantly.

 

                “Where do you want me to start?”  She asked

 

                “Wherever you want, I am going to the store.” 

 

                “Okay, so what is the hourly rate for this job?”  She states

 

I look at her dumbfounded.

 

                “You expect me to pay you?  Brian said you would help me?”

 

                “Yes, I work for Brian and he pays me, so if you want me to work for you then you pay me.”

 

She folds her arms and stares at me.  I glower at her.  Ma and Carl had dropped the box back the evening before and whistled when they saw the place.

 

                “So?”  She prompted.

 

                “What does Brian pay?” 

 

                “None of your business.  This is between you and me.  I don’t do anything until I get half up front?”

 

                “$10 an hour.”  

 

                “Good day Mr Novotny Bruckner, happy cleaning.”

 

And with that she leaves, I wait sure she is coming back until I hear the engine kick in.  I dash outside it is too late she’s gone.  I let off a stream of curses and stomp back inside.

 

The rest of my day is spent looking for a cleaning service that will fit me in, seems that everyone in the Pitts has a dirty house.  I finally get one that can fit me in on Thursday, they will do the entire house for me but it is going to cost me $1500!  I am so mad at Boy Wonder I could spit.

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO TWO DAYS LATER

 

                “May I speak to Steve Smart please?  Yes my name is Jennifer Taylor I was given his name by Doctor Richards it is in relation to Ben Bruckner and his son Hunter Novotny Bruckner.  Thank you.”

 

I tap my fingers idly on the table and wait patiently, the hold music was relatively upbeat for once.

 

                “This is Steve Smart, I have been expecting your call.”

 

The voice startled me it was deep and like warm honey.

 

                “Uh, um, yes, yes Jennifer Taylor I would like to arrange an assessment for my grandson and his father they recently have been…”  I start to ramble

 

A chuckle comes down the line.

 

                “Jennifer?  Breathe.”  He says

 

I am momentarily flummoxed

 

                “Pardon?”

 

                “Since I have been expecting your call it stands to reason that Dr Richards would’ve told me what to expect, so how about this, they will both be discharged by Friday correct? Well how about we have the assessment then, I can see what I am dealing with okay?”

 

I nod.

 

                “You know I can’t see you nodding right?”  He chuckles again.

 

                “Yes.  How about five, they should be discharged by then, where do you want to do this, um, assessment?”

 

                “I always find it better to do it at home, more comfortable for the patient.”

 

                “Okay this is the address.”

 

As I hang up the phone I get an odd feeling, a good one but an odd one.

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL – FRIDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

Hunter is all but bouncing off the walls with frustration.  Sadly he had a relapse and his T-cells dropped again, not too badly but enough for them to keep him in for a few more days, so we are being discharged together.  Michael comes in and the first thing to hit us is the smell.

 

                “What the hell is that?”  I ask putting up a hand to stop him coming any further.

 

                “Dude seriously reconsider scent, it is funky and not in a good way!”  Hunter is backing off.

 

Dr Richards and the gang come in chattering away.

 

                “Ben, Hunter how are – what the hell is that smell!”  Dr Richards claps his hand over his nose

 

Hunter points at Michael.

 

                “Mr Novotny Bruckner, could you have perchance have stepped in something on the way here?”

 

He checks his feet, they are clean but there is definitely a smell of something that has died in the room.

 

                “Seriously what the fuck is that?!”  Brian demands heading to open the window.

 

There is a little air but not enough to clear the room as quickly as we would like,

 

                “Wait, wait give me a minute…I know that smell.”  Emmett starts to gag

 

We all wait as he swallows down bile.

 

                “Coons piss.”

 

We all whip round to stare in horror at what he just said, Dr Richards blinks rapidly and his countenance changes.

 

                “What?”  He growls

 

Emmett fans himself and then looks at us all, he goes bright red.

 

                “What…oh!  Oh my God sorry no!  I didn’t think I am so sorry, I mean racoons, racoons!” 

 

We all look at Dr Richards who nods slowly and then back at Michael, who shuffles on his feet. 

 

                “Do we have racoons at our house Michael?”  I ask him.

 

                “I don’t know how they got in but they did.  But when the cleaning service came they…”

 

                “What cleaning service?”  I ask

 

                “I hired a cleaning service to do the house from top to bottom.  Cost me a fair few bucks.”

 

                “Why did you need to do that, surely if you just did one room at a time…”  Debs asks

 

                “Or had offered Alice a decent hourly rate…”  Justin murmured.

 

                “Can we focus on the racoons are they gone?”  I demand

 

He nods and sighs.

 

                “You do know we can’t discharge you in…”

 

                “What!”  Both Hunter and I yell.

 

Dr Richards holds up a hand to forestall the rage.

 

                “If you let me finish!  Jeez for fuck sake!  Wow I have got to stop spending time with you Deb.  We will be discharging you but you cannot go back to your home.  You need to stay elsewhere for at least 10 days, because your immune systems are still too weak.  Is there somewhere both of you can go until your house is fumigated?”

 

                “What about the loft?”  Justin looks at Brian, who shakes his head.

 

                “Only one bed.”

 

                “Britin then?” 

 

                “Sure?”

 

                “This is Ben and Hunter of course I am sure!”  Justin is a little indignant

 

                “Okay my little prickle puss, sorry.”

 

 He kisses the top of his head, he punches him lightly in the chest in acceptance.

 

                “So we are all staying at Britin then?”  Michael smiles

 

                “No.” 

 

                “Uh what do you mean no, you just said that they…”

 

                “They can stay at Bri…Britin was it?  But Michael you cannot, you are contaminated.  And need to be contained.  And lord knows what you brought into my hospital!”

 

I resist the temptation to laugh at Justin’s snort.

 

                “So when can we get out of here?”  I ask.

 

                “Right now.  I was coming in with the discharge papers.  Holy mother of God how did you not notice that fucking smell!”

 

He heads out of the door with the rest of them hot on his heels and we hear him call the orderlies, we both sigh at the wheelchairs but in a good way it means we are getting out.

 

Emmett calls out to him.

 

                “Dr Richards, please know I truly, truly didn’t mean anything like that…”

 

He nods and waves us goodbye as he heads towards another lucky patient.

 

                “So let’s get our boys home for now.”  Brian says quirking an eyebrow

 

                “Wait what about me?”  Michael calls out.

 

                “Go home Michael and stay there.”  Carl snaps.

 

                “Okay, please call me when you get home and let me know you are okay?”

 

I smile and nod but it is only when I think about it later, he was talking to me but looking at Brian and not once did he look at Hunter.

 

We spent the next 10 days at Britin.  Jennifer spoke to Steve and he agreed that the assessment could be put off to give us time to build up our immune systems.  Gus and Hunter spent time video conferencing, much to Brian’s faux annoyance and when the line wasn’t snarled up with that it was with Michael calling every 10 minutes.  What could he possibly have to say that he didn’t say 10 minutes before and it wasn’t as if he was calling to speak to me or Hunter, even though he didn’t say anything I could see it hurt him.  All too soon it was time to go home.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally they are coming home!  I have to admit to being lonely by myself.  The fumigation didn’t take as long as they thought it would and I was given the all clear but they, by they I mean Justin, refused to have me over claiming he couldn’t risk Ben and Hunter’s health.  Bullshit, I saw the way he was with Ben at the hospital, which reminds me I must talk to Brian about that, it might be the reason for Ben’s snarkiness and behaviour lately.

 

I had a lie in this morning and took my time getting ready to collect them.  I had said I would be there about three to collect them as they had their assessment at four.  I had just spread some cream cheese on my bagel when my phone rang.

 

                “Hello Michael, how are you?” 

 

                “David!”

 

                “Have you got a minute or two to chat?”  He asks

 

                “Of course, how’s things with everything?”  I settle down on the stool and lose myself to the conversation.

 

 

 

The door knocked and I thought it odd because they had a key and then I opened it to Jennifer Taylor, great just what I need.

 

                “Jennifer to what do I owe this pleasure.”

 

She smiles sweetly at me.

 

                “Michael may we come in?”

 

I nod and step aside, she comes in followed by a large very good looking man, so she’s traded in Tucker and traded up like only a proper WASP could

 

                “So where are the patients?”  She asks looking round.

 

I look at her for a few seconds before it dawns on me…shit I was supposed to pick up Ben and Hunter at least an hour ago!

 

                “I got caught up in uh stuff.  I need to…” 

 

I start to mutter gathering up my keys and coat attempting to herd her and her lover boy out.  As I open the door, the sight that greets me makes my heart sink, Brian and Justin are there helping Ben and Hunter out of the car and none of them look happy.

 

                “See told you he was alive and well.  Just not thinking of…”

 

                “Justin please.”  Ben sighs.  “I just want to get inside my home and sit the fuck down okay?”

 

Justin nods and then steps aside to let Ben pass him.  Everyone comes into the house but says nothing.

 

                “So?”  Hunter drawls as he takes off his coat nodding at the man next to Jennifer

 

                “Oh, sorry where are my manners this is Steve…”

 

                “He’s a trade up from Tucker.”  I snicker.

 

She turns to me and smiles, tightly, then cocks her head on one side.

 

                “Steve Smart, the physio Dr Richards recommended and these, Steve are your patients, Ben and Hunter.”

 

They shake hands and she introduces them to Brian and Justin as well.

 

                “I am Michael, Ben’s husband.”  I point out noticing she has not introduced me and shoot her a dark look

 

                “Nice to meet you all.  So can we get started?”

 

                “What now?”  Ben is surprised.

 

                “It’s just the assessment, to see what we are dealing with.  After I have all the results I shall set up a regime for you both.  Is it okay to do this in front of your friends?” 

 

When Ben nods, Steve pulls out a tablet and for the next 30 minutes it is question after question.

 

                “Okay so where are the scales?” 

 

                “Huh?”  I had zoned out momentarily.

 

                “So I can take their weight.”  He says slowly

 

I head upstairs and get the scales.

 

                “Let’s start with you Hunter, what do you reckon you weighed before it all went to shit?” 

 

Hunter snickers and shrugs. 

 

                “I’d say about 140 give or take, eats like a bear but never retains weight…yes I am bitter.”  Brian sighs

 

Steve chuckles and points to the scales, Hunter gets on and looks down.

 

                “Not bad, 135, that is easily regained and then some.”

 

                “Please let there be some.”  Brian mutters grunting when Justin elbows him in the ribs.

 

Steve looks at Ben and indicates the scales.

 

                “Weight before shit storm?”  He asks

 

                “About 210…”  He replies

 

                “With your muscle mass no way, 225 at least.”  Brian states

 

How the hell does he know how much Ben weighs!

 

                “On you hop.”

 

He looks at the number and then at Ben frowning.

 

                “Strip down to your boxers.” 

 

He does so and although he doesn’t look as skeletal as he did in the hospital it is clear that he has lost a lot of weight how didn’t I see this.

 

                “Christ.”  Jennifer whispers looking at Ben’s feet.  “Are these scales accurate?”

 

Ben looks down and then gulps hard.

 

                “200…”  He gasps.  “I haven’t weighed that since…”

 

                “Don’t worry Ben, we will get you back, both of you back, to where you need to be okay?  Okay?”

 

Ben steps off the scales and nods, I can see he’s worried so reach out for him but am surprised when Hunter gets between us and gently pushes Ben into the chair handing him his clothes.

 

                “First things first, let’s get some food sorted out and whatever is on this list you will eat both of you.”

 

Steve looks between them and they nod.

 

Justin heads to the kitchen and opens the fridge and then closes it again.

 

                “Um Steve may I have a word?  In private?”  He asks.

 

He follows him outside and whatever it is that is said Steve is nodding but clearly unhappy.  Eventually they come back in and Jennifer and Justin exchange looks.  Justin takes out his phone casting a dark look at me, what the fuck is his problem? 

 

                “They will be here in about 40 minutes, meanwhile we can have some juice and…”

 

                “What will be here in 40 minutes?”  Brian asks

 

                “The pizzas.”  Justin mutters

 

Shit!  The food.  I knew there was something I meant to do yesterday but with everything else I forgot. 

 

                “I am so sorry guys, I had a shit load of stuff to do yesterday and that just slipped my mind, I am so sorry.  Truly I am.”

 

Jennifer stands and flicks something off her skirt and takes a deep breath.

 

                “So what shit load of stuff did you have to do today that made you forget to pick them up?”

 

                “I had some business calls to make.”

 

Ben sighs and runs his fingers through his hair.

 

                “For 2 hours?”  He asks

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “We were calling you for 2 hours and it kept rolling to voicemail now we know why.”

 

                “I have to make these calls, I am the only one bringing in any money you know.”  I argue

 

                “Um I am going to leave and call you guys tomorrow.  We will set up everything then.”

 

Steve all but runs out of the room, how I wish they or I could follow him.  Brian heads upstairs and two minutes later comes back down looking furious.

 

                “After we eat, Hunter, you’re going back to Britin.”

 

Justin looks at him but Brian just shakes his head no, his lips set in a thin line.  He looks at me for a long time.

 

                “Seriously you couldn’t make up the kid’s bed?”

 

Jennifer huffs a breath.

 

                “Brian, he can come stay with me, I haven’t had much time with him and Debs is not the only one that can fatten up a boy.  Please.  Let me do this.”

 

                “So what are you waiting for?”  Justin demands.

 

                “Now just you look…”  I start

 

                “Order the goddam fucking food and get it express delivered so it is here tomorrow!”  Brian snaps

 

The doorbell signals the arrival of the pizzas, they smell wonderful and I realise that I am hungry.   Jennifer gets plates out and serves them but she holds back on me saying I need to finish the food order first.  When I come back into the living room to eat, they were laughing and joking.  Hunter looks at his slice in bewilderment, he points at something green.

 

                “What is that?”

 

                “Something you are going to eat without argument got it?”  Jennifer grins at him

 

                “Yes Nana Jen.”  He nods

 

                “Good boy.  Continue to behave like this in my care and I see burgers, fries and popping candy ice cream in your future, say Friday?”  She quirks an eyebrow.

 

They left soon after they finished the pizzas and it was just Ben and I, he looks so…defeated it must be his weight issue that’s bothering him.

 

                “Hey, it will be fine you’ll see you’ll put it all back on.  Now why don’t we go to bed?”

 

                “Yeah.  I am so tired right now.”

 

                “It’s been a long day for all of us.”

 

I follow him upstairs and we head to the bedroom, once undressed I try to cuddle up to him but he turns on his side and moves away from me.

 

                “Ben.”

 

                “I just want to sleep Michael.”

 

Ben and Hunter, with Steve’s guidance, over the next few months slowly gain their health back.  And everyone got fitter, after Ben’s insistence that he was not going to suffer, I mean exercise, alone.  Much to Brian’s delight the work outs did wonders for Justin’s bubble butt, he lavished it with so much attention, one particular rim job lasting an hour by which time Justin was sure his cock was raw having frotted it into the duvet for the entire time, whoever said silk doesn’t chafe was wrong!  The only one, predictably, not enjoying this new thang was Michael but he saw one light in the darkness, when he ordered the food for the house he also ordered treats for himself…he doesn’t care because Justin is footing the bill and he has to eat after all.

 

Unbeknownst to all threats are coming their way but they will find out just because they look scary doesn’t mean that they are…

 

 

TBC

End Notes:

I have taken liberties with some bits and pieces, the racoons and assessment for example...it works I think.  Happy reading, hopefully.  C6 will introduce new characters that, well you'll see, I hope you stay with me.

Chapter 6 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 6: AN OLD ENEMY LEADS TO NEW FRIENDS…

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER HOUSE – JUNE 2014

 

It’s a sunny day and all the boys were waiting for Steve to turn up.  They were all going for a run, Ben was back to his normal weight and Hunter was looking less stringy but Brian still found it irksome that he could still eat like a proverbial horse and gain nothing but muscle mass.

 

STEVE

 

                “Good morning boys are we ready, have we done our warm up.”

 

They nod and murmur, I nod into the direction we are heading and we set off at a nice slow jog, no point going hell for leather right now.  We fall into easy jog and I only have to call out a couple of times to correct Hunter’s breathing technique and get Emmett to lengthen his stride, you’d think being with Drew for so long would’ve taught him about running but apparently not.

 

After about 2K I hear the first sounds of griping.

 

                “How much further?”  Michael pants

 

                “About another 7K.”  I call back

 

                “What!  Wait a minute, you said it was going to be 5K Hunter?” 

 

I turn and see Ben slowing down so he can be level with Michael who had started to drop back a bit.

 

                “No, that’s not what he said, he said it was 5K to where we are running to, so obviously we have to come back…”

 

Michael glowers but keeps jogging, mercifully the rest of the run is in silence, except to shout out corrections to pacing for Brian who is running behind Justin...

 

BRIAN

 

…now that is a beautiful sight.  Justin is ahead of me and the way his ass is bouncing in those shorts is making it a bit difficult for me to concentrate and Steve has to shout out again.

 

                “Brian, eyes off Justin’s ass and correct your stride, run now drool later!”

 

I chuckle and throw him a smirk, he smiles back.  Justin turns back to look at me and flashes me a smile.

 

                “Twat!”  I shout out to him.

 

STEVE

 

                “Okay boys, sprint to that tree and then it’s a water stop okay…go!”

 

They all sprint off, I easily pass them with Brian, Ben, Drew and Hunter behind me, followed by Justin, Emmett, Ted, Blake and Michael is last.

 

                “Right water break…don’t drink too quickly, you need to save some and besides you will get a stitch when we start…”

 

                “Hey can you hear that?”  Hunter ask, waving his hand for silence

 

We listen and in the distance is a low roar, like motorbikes.  He heads towards the noise with us trailing after him and then he comes to a halt.

 

                “Motocross…that is fucking awesome!”

 

We all look across the bridge at a motocross centre.

 

                “Oh I have to go look, won’t be long!”  Hunter is already jogging towards the bridge.

 

                “Uh Hunter, there is this marvellous invention it’s called the internet!”  Michael calls out.

 

I watch Brian take a breath and Ted roll his eyes, this guy does nothing but bitch at the kid!

 

                “Don’t have my laptop with me!”  He calls back

 

                “What your fancy phone doesn’t have the internet?”  Michael snipes back.

 

                “It does but walking over there gets him away from you.”  I hear Blake mutter.

 

                “Hey Hunter, hold up, I want to see too.”  Justin shouts out

 

                “Me too.”  Ben calls and they both catch up with him and disappear from view.

 

We stand in silence waiting for them to come back.  Brian heads towards the riverbank and looks round, I join him.

 

                “You’d think for someone whose kid saved his husband’s life he would stop giving him such a hard time…”  I begin

 

When Brian stops and looks at me I think I have overstepped my boundaries.  I have become to regard them as friends particularly Ben and Hunter and even though people say Brian is a hard person to get to know, I don’t think so and I like him.

 

                “I’m sorry, I know he’s your…”

 

                “It’s not just me then?”  He murmurs having picked up a handful of stones and starts skimming

 

I shake my head and sigh in relief taking a couple of stones from him and start skimming.

 

                “Hopefully it will pass and they will get back to normal.  I’m not going to lie and say they were close, he and Ben are closer but he just seems so resentful of Hunter these days and I can’t understand, but maybe I can give respite…thanks Steve appreciate it.”

 

I don’t know what I have just done so just nod.

 

                “Ooh skimming, I have never been able to get the wrist action right…”  Emmett calls down as he and Drew approach.

 

                “Are you sure about that Emmy Lou?”  Drew asks

 

Blake and Ted have joined us with Michael, as usual, bringing up the rear. 

 

                “Huh…oh, Drewsie please!”  Emmett is blushing as we all chuckle

 

We all start skimming stones and soon Drew and Brian get competitive trying to get the most skips. 

 

                “Want to make it interesting Kinney?”

 

Brian quirks an eyebrow and nods, Drew whispers something in his ear and he chuckles.

 

                “You have a deal Boyd.”

 

They head towards the middle of the stream and start skimming upstream, before long, with some baiting from Brian, Drew is losing his rhythm and Brian easily beats him, he smirks and Drew shrugs makes his way out of the water and takes Emmett’s hand, says something to him and suddenly Emmett is pulling him up the bank and out of sight.

 

                “What’s going on?”  I ask

 

Before Brian could answer, the wanderers return with Justin grinning and clutching pamphlets.  Ben has his arm over Hunter’s shoulders and they are laughing about something. 

 

                “Guess what?  Hunter has had the most excellent idea!”  Justin scrambles down the bank towards Brian waving the pamphlets at him.

 

                “What is this a Bill & Ted movie?”  I tease

 

                “You wanna be invited dude?”  Hunter calls out

 

I do the universal zipping motion and watch as Justin is righted by Brian after he almost slips over.

 

                “For Gus’s birthday they can do motocross on the Friday, Gus overnights with Hunter at Ben and Michael’s on the Thursday night as it’s closer than Britin and they can easily walk over or even take their bikes or maybe the service, anyway, they spend the day doing it on the Friday and then Hunter stays with us on the Friday night and then they can do their thing during the morning on Saturday and then on the Saturday afternoon we have the surprise BBQ and then…”

 

Brian silences him with a slow leisurely kiss and then waits for him to come out of his slight daze.

 

                “Um, where was I?”  Brian chuckles and loops his arm over him, kissing his temple.

 

                “First, is it okay for him to stay with you guys?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Yes I guess, but can’t you pick something other than motocross to do…”  Michael asks looking between Hunter and Ben.

 

                “Why?”  Hunter looks surprised.

 

                “I see once again Hunter you are thinking of Jenny’s participation in all this.”  Michael snipes

 

                “Michael...”  Ben begins

 

                “She would love it!  You do realise that she’s does roller derby right?”  Hunter snaps

 

                “Roller derby?”  Michael questions

 

Hunter sets off on a jog back the way we came before stopping and calling back.

 

                “There’s this marvellous invention Michael it’s called the internet!  And also try taking an interest in what your daughter says to you!” 

 

And he sprints off.  Michael looks furious and we try to hide our smirks, even I knew about the roller derby.

 

When we get back to the house, having easily caught up with Hunter, well some of us, it is a case of cool down and people going their separate ways.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Can you believe how rude Hunter was to me earlier…”

 

                “He was rude, he was rude?  Michael do you realise you adopt a whole different tone when you speak to Hunter?  Like you resent him!”

 

                “I do not!”

 

                “Yes, yes you do.  And that tone and all that shit it stops now, I mean it this stops now.”

 

With that Ben turns round and leaves to head to the shower.

 

                “Fuck that I can do what I want.”  I mutter once I am sure he’s out of earshot.

 

ON THE WAY TO BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian has been really quiet and nibbling on his lip, like he wants to say something but is not sure how I will take it.

 

                “Spit it out.”  I sigh

 

                “Have you, have you noticed the way Michael has been with Hunter lately?”

 

                “You mean behaving like a jealous, judgemental, resentful fishwife?” 

 

                “Mmmm.  Even Steve noticed.  And I was thinking there is something that I, well we can do to give him a bit of a break.”

 

                “What’s that, just come out and say it for heaven sake.”  I grouch as we pull into the garage

 

He parks and looks at me.

 

                “I am not saying that he can move in but if he needed a place to go…”

 

I look at him across the jeep in astonishment.  He sighs and turns round to head to the mud room.

 

                “Mr Kinney, where the hell do you think you are going?”  I call out.

 

                “Look, okay I haven’t thought it through much but it’s empty most of the time and if I didn’t…”  He finally turns to look at me and quirks an eyebrow.  “You are okay with this then?”  He growls as he walks back towards me.

 

I had started to strip and now that I am naked, I drop my clothes in a pile at his feet.  I get on my knees on top of them and nuzzle his crotch.  He lets out a small gasp as I grab his cheeks and hold him still.  Slowly I peel off his shorts and he springs out.  I ignore his cock and concentrate on getting him completely naked.  I kiss a trail up his stomach rimming his belly button and pushing his vest up at the same time. 

 

I latch onto a nipple and lathe it lazily, enjoying the feel of it hardening under my tongue, I nibble and nip at it eliciting soft gasps from him as he tangles his fingers in my hair and holds me in position, arching slightly as if to say “keep going”.  I kiss a trail to his other nipple and lavish the same attention on that one, whilst gently running my fingers through his bush, tugging at the hair there and lightly touching the base of his cock, he arches into my fingers with a moan.

 

                “Uh-uh, do that again.”  He whimpers as I kiss and suck at his neck.

 

He kneads my ass pulling me tight to him and starts to walk me back to the jeep.

 

                “Um, house the other way…oh that’s cold!”  I squeak as he pushes me against the jeep door.

 

                “Sorry, get in, I’ll soon warm you up.”

 

I shake my head and turn us around and push him onto the back seat and kiss him deeply.  Our tongues lazily battle for dominance as he runs his hands down my back and traces his fingers gently over my cheeks.

 

                “You really do have the most perfect ass.”  He grins at me

 

I slither down his body and take him all the way to the root.

 

                “Oh!  Yes!”  He bucks up grabbing at the front seat and punching the roof.

 

I suckle him gently but firmly and watch as he slowly starts to come apart as I lick the underside of his shaft running my tongue up the vein before taking him in again and then humming.

 

                “Oh…fuck…oh God, baby, no, no, stop, so g-go-good please wait want to be inside you!”  He cries out

 

I slide him gently out of my mouth letting my teeth graze over his tip tasting his pre-cum, his eyes roll back and his abs contract hard, he fingers circle the base of his cock and he gives a quick squeeze, his chest heaves with the effort of calming down.  I kiss and lick the inside of his thighs nibbling down his legs.

 

                “Not…uh…oh shit…helping.”  He growls

 

I giggle and slide out of the jeep and he swiftly follows and before I know it I am on my stomach on the back seat and he has two fingers in my ass.

 

                “Aaaaah!”  I yelp as he brushes and jabs against my prostate.

 

I try to get up but his other hand is holding me firmly down and I can’t get purchase on the floor.  All thoughts of moving are driven out when he starts to lick and suck at my back, making his way down.

 

                “Bri-Brian, please, please just fuck me!”  I beg trying to wriggle out of his firm grasp

 

                “What’s the matter little boy, don’t like payback?” 

 

He mumbles as he takes one of my balls into his mouth.  His mouth is so warm and he’s in no hurry letting it slip out of his mouth before lavishing the same attention on the other one all whilst finger fucking me.  I am screaming obscenities into the seat as my legs flail helplessly over his shoulders…when did he put my legs over his shoulders?!

 

                “Gaaaaah!  Oh yes, yes, please just fuck me, fuck me, oh God!”

 

                “So warm and tight and mine.  Mine.  Mine.  Mine!”  He shouts with each thrust.

 

I try to raise my ass so that I can get to my dick but he holds me down.

 

                “Let me!”  He growls.

 

He snaps his hips into me and I scream so loud I am sure they hear me in the next state.

 

                “I’m…I’m oh...there, right there, yes!”

 

                “Love.  You!”  He shouts as his orgasm claims him.

 

He rests his head against my spine as we both get our breathing back to normal.  Gently he pulls out and tugs on my hips to get me to stand.  I sink back into his chest. 

 

                “What happened to Emmett and Drew?”  I murmur

 

                “Doesn’t matter.  Shower time.”

 

All I can do is nod and wrap my arms and legs round him as he carries me to our bathroom.  I don’t even remember getting into bed.

 

KINNETIC – TWO DAYS LATER

 

CYNTHIA

 

                “Oh my God you have got to be kidding me?!”

 

Kicking off my heels I take off at a sprint towards Brian’s office, I don’t knock as I burst in and Brian looks up at me in surprise as I shove the paper under his nose.

 

                “What am I looking at?”  He enquires

 

                “This!  Did you know Stark Securities has decided to ask for tenders for their advertising contract?”

 

                “No but they have been with Ryder and now Vance for years they will never move.  Shame though, it would be nice to swipe that away from that fucker.”

 

I shake my head at him and sigh

 

                “Clearly you fucked Justin when he was in earlier and your brain is somewhat addled.  They are asking!  As in they might move!”

 

“Okay, I can see your point but Stark have been with them for years, old man Luther would not move being a born and bred Pitts man he saw it as his duty to be loyal even when their HQ moved to NYC…and besides we don’t…”

 

                “I did not kick off my Loubs for you to say we don’t need it!”  She snaps and quirks an eyebrow.

 

                “Okay get the research done but don’t be surprised if they retain.” 

 

                “Thank you and if we get them I want 20% bonus.”

 

                “Done.”

 

He waves me out of the office and I head back to my desk and put in a call.

 

                “May I be put through to Zander Stark, my name is Cynthia Moore.  Thank you.”

 

VANGUARD – GARDNER’S OFFICE

 

GARDNER

 

                “What the fuck do you mean they have put out a general tender release, how the fuck did we not know about this?!”  I bellow.

 

                “Gardner, you have nothing to worry about there is no way they will move away from us.  Relax.”

 

I take a good look at my ad execs and think carefully, we have had them on a rolling contract for the last 10 years, yes they are a $2 billion company, a security services company to boot, but I don’t want to chance my arm and let Brian Fucking Bastard Kinney get his hands on this contract, time to schmooze I think.

 

                “Good morning, my name is Vance, Gardner Vance from Vanguard may I be put through to…sorry could you hold a moment, to Zander Stark.”

 

Two days later I have secured a meeting with Zander and his board, I have to admit to being a bit surprised to find out that they are not shifting on a general tender release, but no matter, I am very confident that they will retain us.

 

                “Zander, may I call you Zander, please come in.  Have a seat.  Who is this delightful lady, your PA, I am sure that she won’t be needed at this juncture, why don’t you join the ladies outside?” 

 

I turn to her and usher her out, signalling to my PA that she needs to keep her amused.  Two hours later we are done but no closer to signing the contract, it has been a frustrating time of it.  He goes to talk to his PA and then he looks at me and nods.

 

                “Gardner, we would be delighted to take you up on the offer of the table at the advertising dinner.” 

 

                “That is wonderful…the offer is obviously extended to your wonderful and ever present PA of course.”

 

She doesn’t smile but does nod her thanks and they leave. What a miserable bitch I think to myself.

 

                “It’s Black tie.”  I call out to him.

 

                “Obviously.”  He calls back.

 

ANNUAL ADVERTISING DINNER

 

BRIAN

 

Well we tried, I mean everyone tried, but there is no way that Vance is letting Stark go.  Cynthia tried her best but we could not get a meeting with them, but my pride and competitive spirit won’t let me go down without one last fight.  Ah Vance is schmoozing with them and raising his glass to me…fucker.  I raise and smile back, this contract is burning a hole in my pocket.

 

I head over and immediately Vance is out to block my path.

 

                “Brian what a…ahem…pleasant surprise to see you here.”

 

                “I wish I could say the same Gardner.”  I demur.

 

There is a snort from the table but I am not sure who it is from.

 

                “Gardner who is this?”

 

                “Zander Stark this is Brian Kinney he runs a little advertising agency in Pittsburgh…”

 

                “Brian Kinney as in Kinnetic, that Brian Kinney?”

 

I nod and shake hands with a handsome man he pulls out a chair and indicates I should sit down, I am slightly thrown off my game but not as much as Vance.

 

                “As in the Brian Kinney, Concerned Citizens for the Truth?”  He enquires

 

Okay this is weird.  I nod and look round the table, Gardner is looking confused.

 

                “Concerned Citizens for the…”

 

                “They released that video that took down and led to the indictment of Stockwell.”  He explains.

 

Gardner opens his mouth and closes it again.  We exchange glances as neither of us knows what the fuck is going on.

 

                “I had no idea that you are such a good looking man…”  Zander continues stroking my arm, I move away from his touch.

 

                “For fuck sake, get off your knees he has a partner!”  An irritated voice comes from two seats down.

 

We all turn to look at the exasperated woman indicating that a scotch needs to be poured and quickly.

 

                “And you are?”  I ask.

 

                “This is Zander’s ever present and wonderful PA…”  Gardner starts.

 

                “Oh fuck this I have had enough.  Give it to me just give it to me!”  She waves her hand in my direction.

 

                “What?”

 

                “The contract in your pocket…give.”

 

I hand over the contract and she reads it quietly.

 

                “It’s good?”  Zander asks.

 

                “Okay, you need to take out this and this…”  She indicates a pen and I quickly hand her one

 

                “Excuse me Zander but we are still in negotiations…”  Gardner blusters

 

                “Hi guys, now don’t you look reptilian Gardner…”  a familiar voice drawls.

 

I turn to see Cynthia looking beautiful and smug.

 

                “Okay these are thus stricken, you happy?”  The PA asks

 

I nod, she smiles at me and then she signs the contract.

 

                “Okay this will do for now, we will arrange another meeting for boards and all that bollocks that goes with it later, but you have to figure a way to incorporate “we die first” in there okay?”

 

She stands and knocks back the rest of her scotch, then she gives herself a shake, flicks me a wink and marches out followed by the rest of her team, leaving Gardner, Cynthia and I alone.

 

                “Seriously what the fuck just happened?”  I demand of a smiling Cynthia.

 

                “You just got a $15 million contract and I got a 20% bonus…oh and a little bit of revenge Gardner.  You see I never liked you and you made the same rookie mistake all misogynistic assholes do when they underestimate the power of an extremely pissed off woman!”

 

As I look back to the door I see Zander and his PA coming back, Cynthia chuckles and pulls me to my feet and as they reach the table Gardner stands.

 

                “Mr Kinney, I have just realised where are my manners?”  She states and sticks out her hand.

 

                “Zaden Stark, President and CEO of Stark Securities, I look forward to doing business with you.”

 

                “You!  You’re the…” Gardner blusters

 

She nods smugly and tucks her arm into mine and starts tugging me alongside her towards the bar, whilst explaining

 

                “The first time it was a printing error but people seemed to respond better security wise when they thought the company was run by a man so we went with it…now come Mr K, we need to get toasted!” 

 

I pause as I watch Cynthia head back to our table.

 

                “Hey Cyn!”

 

                “Yeah boss!”

 

                “30%”

 

She salutes me with her glass.

 

As we get to the bar, I start to laugh and then I hear that snort again.

 

                “Remind me never to ever piss you off.”  I tell her

 

She settles into her seat and signals the barman, two scotches arrive.  I watch as she eases her shoes off, scrunches her toes then sighs happily.

 

                “Look great hurt like fuck.”  She mutters

 

I snort into my glass and she chuckles and then winces when her stomach grumbles.

 

                “I would kill for a burger and fries right now.  Seriously why do they serve rabbit food at these fucking things?”

 

Bending down I grab her shoes and then her arm.

 

                “Come on.”

 

She looks surprised but lets me lead her out to the foyer, I notice a member of her team starts to follow, but one look is all it took for them to remain.

 

                “You have a coat.”

 

She nods, takes her shoes back and goes to collect it, she looks at me with a smirk playing on her lips.

 

                “Just need to put in a call.”  I say as I guide her outside to our car and try not to laugh when I realise she’s barefoot, swinging her shoes in her hand.

 

                “Once they are off they stay off.” 

 

I nod and once my car swings in front of us I let her in first, we head to an upscale burger joint and she orders wings and another couple of scotches, I order a salad and again with the snort.

 

                “Okay I give up what?”  I demand.

 

                “Nothing.”

 

                “Like I said, what?”

 

                “Okay.  Honestly?   Ooh wings are here.”   She all but snatches them from the waiter.

 

She puts a couple on my plate and raises an eyebrow.

 

                “Just eat the damn things.”  She grouses good-naturedly and picks up a wing sucking it clean.

 

Within minutes the wings are gone…she orders some more and winks at me.

 

                “No matter what is said right now the contract still stands right?”

 

I nod wanting to know seriously what the fuck is going on.

 

                “You both got played.  I’ve known Cynthia since junior high…”

 

I gape at her and she shrugs.

 

                “And?” 

 

                “I hate that fucker so wanted to waste his time, seriously “your ever present and wonderful PA” comments made me want to put a knife in his testicle.  So I put out a general tender the day before the contract was due for renewal so that at least he would spend more time trying to fight off other competition by offering us more and more, I just kept stalling and et voila here we are…”

 

                “We were always going to get this?”  I was dumbfounded.

 

She nods again and raises her glass.

 

                “I wanted to make it as public and as a painful as possible!  To fucking over our enemies and hopefully, having forgiven my deception, making new friends…”

 

                “To new friends…”  I salute her and then sat back and stare at her in wonderment.

 

After dinner I dropped her off at the hotel and head to Britin.  I call my Sunshine.

 

                “Hey.  Where are you are you okay?”  He sounds sleepy

 

                “10 minutes away can you stay awake until then?”

 

                “Mmm, I’ll make some coffee.  You okay?” 

 

                “Never better.  Oh I bought you hot wings and a burger.  Later baby.”

 

I cut him off before he can say anything else, I rest my head again the back of the seat and smile.  Once we get home I find my Sunshine in the kitchen reading a magazine, he hops of the seat and wraps himself round me.  I inhale his scent and hand him the food, the fact that he was looking round for it didn’t go unnoticed, see how much I love this man.

 

                “Oooh, love you!  Wait thought you were at that dinner.”

 

I nod and explain what happened and afterwards he just stares at me.

 

                “I have got to meet this woman!”

 

JULY 2014

 

After a month of negotiations and back and forth the advertising campaign for Stark Securities hits the media and of course it is a great success, yes even with the “we die first” slogan.  Another great, and surprising, success is the growing friendship between Brian, Justin and Zaden.  Unfortunately, the relationship between the Novotny Bruckners is not good.  No prizes for guessing who the main protagonist is? 

 

Excuse me a moment…dear readers talk amongst yourselves…you know what, I have to say you just need to give them a fucking break, they have both been sick and…oh a break is coming, well why didn’t you say?  I know I am just the narrator but, wait you mean, are you kidding me, ooh booyah…and back to narrating!

 

The Novotny Bruckners are not good, Michael cannot shift his resentment of Hunter being right about Ben and even worse, to him, he see the growing friendship between Ben and Steven and that leads to a whole host of problems that could’ve been avoided if he had kept his mouth shut…but he didn’t so here we go!

 

MID JULY 2014

 

GUS

 

I am on the way to Uncle Michael and Uncle Ben’s with Jenny though I am not sure why.  But judging by the grin on her face, Jenny does – she has the worst poker face it in the world but I love my little sister.  Hunter apparently was watching from the window for our arrival and he wrenches open the door before we even knock.

 

                “Dudes!”  He yelps and grabs us both into a hug.  “Almost happy birthday to you!”  He bellows

 

                “Hunter!”  Jenny gasps.  “Can’t breathe!”

 

                “Ah shit!  Sorry J!”  He immediately releases her.

 

I can hear Uncle Ben’s chuckles then he calls from the kitchen.

 

                “When you have quite finished trying to strangle them perhaps you would be kind enough to let them in?  I would like a hug from my daughter and nephew before you haul them into the depths of hell that is called your bedroom.”

 

He herds us into the house and Jenny immediately runs to her papa.  He engulfs her in a hug and then I am swept in.  I have to keep myself from crying when I think back to how we almost lost him.

 

                “Where’s dad?”  Jenny asks looking round

 

I notice that Hunter tenses slightly but hopefully J doesn’t. 

 

                “At the store he will be home soon.”  Uncle Ben replies.  “So who’s for food?”

 

                “Me!”  We all yell.

 

Before we can do anything else, the doorbell rings.

 

                “Must be the food order.”  Uncle Ben says.

 

As we unpack one box Uncle Ben frowns, this stuff looks expensive and what the hell is foie gras and caviar.  Uncle Ben is shocked.

 

                “I don’t understand…”  He begins

 

                “Wait, I have just thought!  Your anniversary is next Tuesday…”  Jenny says.

 

                “Oh shit, seal the box back up and leave them both back outside!  Not a word okay?” 

 

We all nod and start to reseal the box.

 

                “That looks good right?  Right?” 

 

We nod again and wait, we see Uncle Michael’s car pull up and he gets out and comes inside.

 

                “Hey guys how are you!”

 

He hugs me and Jenny and taps Hunter on the shoulder…a tap…seriously!  He goes back out and starts to bring one box in but doesn’t bring in the other.  We say nothing but flash secret smiles at each other.

 

                “Okay so what’s the plan tomorrow?”  Uncle Ben asks winking at Hunter

 

J giggles wraps her arms round me, Uncle Michael is not sharing our enthusiasm.  Hunter clears his throat and strides in front of me.

 

                “What?  What is going on?”

 

                “We…are…going…”

 

                “Jesus Hunter get on with it!”  I yell

 

                “To motocross!”

 

J and I look at him blankly for a second then look at each other, clearly she didn’t know about that!

 

                “Motocross?!”  J and I yell at the same time.

 

                “See I told you.  Not something that Je…”

 

Hunter bites his lip and was about to say something.

 

                “Hunter pile!”  We both scream and leap on him.

 

                “Ooof, get off seriously get the fuck off me!  Ribs, I need my ribs unbroken!”  He yells giggling.

 

                “Motocross as you kidding me, I thought you were going to tell him about the BBQ!”  Jenny yells.

 

                “What BBQ?”  I swivel to face her.

 

Uncle Ben is laughing and picks Jenny off of Hunter who smiles at him in relief.  We pick ourselves up and flop on the sofa.

 

                “Let me call your folks so that nobody needs to shout ‘surprise’ anymore!”

 

He heads to the kitchen chuckling to himself.

 

                “Hey Justin…what no it’s all good.  Yeah they arrived safely.  Um the thing is that Jenny said the B word yeah so no surprise there.  What okay hang on?”

 

He comes back in and hands me the phone.

 

                “Since you now know your papa wants to know what you want to eat.”

 

                “Can we take this upstairs?”  I ask

 

He nods but says we must bring it down when we are through.  After talking to papa Hunter tells all about tomorrow and I cannot wait.

 

JENNY

 

I think I need to have a word with papa, maybe I imagined that nasty look that dad gave Hunter.

 

MOTOCROSS CENTRE – NEXT DAY

 

HUNTER

 

I knew it!  I knew this would be a good idea!  We have been here all day, well most of the day.  Once we had the safety lecture and were suited and booted we were off.  It is the most awesome thing ever.  Okay I have to admit that I was a bit annoyed when Brian said he would pay for it because I wanted it to be my present to Gus but when he said I could do food I was okay.  We are the smallest of the groups here so we are pretty much left on our own to just do tag races and it is great fun.

 

I feel a tap on my shoulder and almost leap 10 feet in the air, the whoever the heck he is reaches under my helmet and does something.

 

                “Can you hear me?” 

 

I whip my head up in surprise and nod.

 

                “Great the name’s Matt and we are an odd group….shut up Tag….so if you want to join us that makes us 10 and then we can split into teams of 5 and make the rest of the day interesting…”

 

                “Gus, Jen you guys okay with this?”

 

They both nod and that is that, we don’t even stop for lunch and all too soon it is the end and we head to get changed.  Gus is hugging me hard and yelling at me.

 

                “The most awesome day ever!”

 

                “Seriously Gus how old are you today?”  Niche asks

 

                “16 today and we are having a BBQ at my dads’ tomorrow you guys want to come?”  He is tugging at his helmet to get it off.

 

There are general nods from our new friends.  Gus is grinning from ear to ear as is Jenny, not something she would be interested in my ass I think to myself. 

 

As I watch the rest of the gang introduce themselves properly as we only heard voices, I turn to “Matt” and I am looking into the brown eyes of the most beautiful man I have ever seen…

 

 

 

End Notes:

Okay maybe the narrator and author bit was a bit contrived but I like it...happy readiing.  Be constructive and gentle xx

Chapter 7 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 7 – WHERE THERE’S A WILL THERE’S A WAY…

 

MOTOCROSS CENTRE

 

HUNTER

 

                “Uh…”

 

Smooth really smooth Hunter!  Matt smiles at me and extends his hand, it’s so warm and I can feel it in my toes. 

 

                “Don’t know about you but I am starving!”  He says

 

                “Us too!  Oh wait, look at the time, we’ve got to head back, come on Hunter, the service will be here soon!”  J calls out heading towards the exit, dragging Gus with her.

 

                “What’s with the pulling?”  I hear Gus grumble

 

                “Privacy doofus…come on!”

 

Matt grins at me and hands me his phone, I am still shell shocked and do nothing.

 

                “I’m sorry I…”

 

                “No.  Not no that I don’t want your number but no that…”

 

                “How about I take your number?”

 

I nod mutely and hand him my phone as our fingers touch I can’t help but wonder how can a person be so warm! 

 

                “So I will call you tonight.  Get the deets for tomorrow yes?”

 

                “Yeah.”

 

He runs his finger down my face and is gone with his friends, Tag looks back and smiles.

 

                “Earth to Hunter come on, the car is here!”  Gus yells.

 

I follow them out and get in the car, Gus and J exchange grins.

 

                “He’s…um what’s the word I am looking for…hot yes hot, tell me please tell me you got his number!”

 

J is bouncing in her seat and I am blushing from my ankles up.

 

                “Way to go Hunter!”  Gus punches me in the shoulder.

 

                “I need to know about tomorrow, he’s calling me tonight…oh God he’s calling me tonight!”

 

They both burst out laughing. 

 

                “I hate you both!”  I yell.

 

                “Hunter pile!”  They cry and leap upon me.

 

GUS’S BEDROOM LATER THAT EVENING

 

GUS

 

We are all on my bed and although he’s trying not to Hunter keeps looking at his phone and I can feel him willing it to ring.

 

                “He’ll call, I am sure of it.”  J says

 

                “Nah he…”

 

His phone is ringing, he almost breaks his neck getting off the bed to get to it.

 

                “He-hello.  Oh hi, how are you?  Did you eat?  You said you were hungry when we left and a…”

 

J and I cringe as Hunter starts to sound like a grandmother not a boyfriend!

 

                “Give me that!”  I snatch the phone off him and J tackles him to the ground, roller derby has its uses!

 

                “Hey Matt, its Gus, thanks for including us and making it a greater day.  So tomorrow, we will start say about three are there any allergies within our crew…I have a crew in the Pitts this is so cool…oh wait, hang on maybe you should speak to papa, hang on!”

 

I head downstairs with the phone nattering to Matt on the way and ignoring Hunter’s yelling.

 

JENNY

 

Keeping him on the floor is a lot more difficult than I first thought but since he likes his hair and I have a handful he is keeping still. 

 

                “J let go and let me up for fuck sake!”

 

                “Nope, not until you can talk like you want to be his boyfriend and not his aged aunt.  Have you eaten?  Seriously?!”

 

He glowers at me and then chuckles.

 

                “Yeah that was really bad but I didn’t expect him to call.”  He looks away from me

 

                “Why on earth not?”

 

                “Well look at me!”

 

                “And!”

 

                “My past!  Do you really think he’s going to want to be with me when he finds out everything?”

 

                “Who says he has to find out now!  Right now all I see, no shush seriously or I snatch you bald, are two guys who on seeing each other thought wow, get to know each other first and if it comes to the point when you have to tell him then tell him but at least kiss the guy first!  He has the most amazing looking lips, all soft and pouty…”

 

                “Yeah I have never seen a mouth like it, I just want to take that bottom lip and…”

 

I look up and see Gus holding my phone to me, it’s on speaker…

 

                “And what, what do you want to do to my bottom lip?”  Matt chuckles.

 

                “Gus you asshole!”  Hunter screams

 

                “Could be worse, I could have FaceTimed you…”

 

                “This is not happening!  J get off, seriously get the fuck off and Gus give me my phone!”

 

He stomps out of the room and slams the door.  Ten minutes later he comes back in and plops on the bed.

 

                “Again, I hate you both!”

 

We burst out laughing.

 

MEANWHILE AT THE NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S

 

BEN

 

Michael has been in a mood all day, well no matter this needs to be discussed so let’s get this shit done.

 

                “Michael can we talk about our wills, POA and that stuff you know since what happened?”

 

                “Of course, no more ice skating for you for one thing!”

 

He laughs but the smile doesn’t reach his eyes, we settle down and start to go through stuff, when it comes to the division of our estate he frowns.

 

                “You are leaving half of your estate to Hunter?”

 

                “Of course, who else would I leave it to except the two of you?”

 

                “But what about Jenny?”

 

                “What about her Michael?  She has Mel, Lindz and you, besides Hunter’s….”

 

                “I cannot believe this!  You say she’s your daughter but when it comes down to it she’s not!”

 

                “How much are you leaving to him then?”

 

                “Who?”

 

                “And there it is, there’s why half my estate goes to Hunter!  I need air!”

 

I head outside and start to walk towards the centre of town, then my phone rings.

 

                “What!”

 

                “Woah big guy what’s up?” 

 

                “Sorry Brian, it’s just…”

 

                “Where you at?  I can send the service.”

 

                “I can be at Woody’s in 10 minutes.  But I need to go home after we talk.

 

                “Okay see you soon.”

 

I head to Woody’s and knock back a scotch then I get in car and sigh its high time I look after my boy.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

                “He sounded so…I don’t know, not like Ben.”

 

                “Let’s just see what we are dealing with okay?”

 

I nod and kiss the hand currently on my shoulder when the doorbell chimes, we exchange looks, so I say a silent prayer and let him in.

 

                “Remember the kids are upstairs.  Let’s take it to the man cave…”  Justin starts

 

                “For the last time it is not a man cave, it is a place of…”

 

                “Semantics now?  Can we just get in there?”

 

We follow Justin to my place of refuge and settle down.

 

                “What’s he done?”  Justin asks

 

Ben proceeds to tell us all about the evening and both Justin and I are gobsmacked, Hunter is leaving his estate to Jenny and Gus with explicit instructions that they go nuts and do stupid things nothing sensible like college.

 

                “When did he do this?”

 

                “Before, all of this shit happened he had a little bit saved and even has a tab at Woody’s”

 

Justin sniffles and buries his head in my chest.

 

                “So what’s the issue?”

 

                “If I pre-decease him I need to know that someone will keep an eye…”

 

                “Stop, as if you need to ask!”  I snap.  “Sorry, but he’s as much ours as he is yours okay?”

 

Ben starts to tear up and nods then we head upstairs, we hear the kids laughing and joking, Ben slips out of the door and is gone without them knowing.

 

                “So when does he call you Uncle Brian?”

 

                “He doesn’t!”

 

I pull him into a deep kiss and then shake my head.

 

                “Can you believe that?”

 

                “Sadly yes.  Come on stud, let me make you feel a whole lot better.”

 

He winks and walks coquettishly to the study, taking off his clothes as he does.

 

SATURDAY – GUS’S BIRTHDAY BBQ – AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

Everyone is here and we are having an excellent day so far, okay I should have let Emmett do the food because it’s not as good as his but we didn’t want him to be working.  Gus is with his new friends and they seem to be enjoying themselves.

 

The only fly in the ointment is Michael who seems to be in a very bad mood.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Where are you going Jenny, who are those kids?”

 

                “To join said kids, we met them yesterday.”  She replies over her shoulder and is gone

 

                “You’d think they’d be more into basketball…”  Michael snickers

 

                “Why?”  A deep heavily accented voice behind me asks making me jump

 

                “What?”

 

                “Why would they be more into basketball than motocross?”

 

                “Well isn’t it obvious?”  I reply smirking

 

                “No.  Please explains to me.  I am not from these parts and don’t understand what you are trying to get at…”

 

I see Ben and Brian exchange looks, Ben shakes he head at me.

 

                “Well look at them, they are more suited to basketball…”

 

                “Be…cause…”  He stretches out the word

 

                “They are tall and they are, well, you know well most of them...”

 

                “Oh I see because they are Black and tall they should restrict themselves to basketball.  Why did that make you laugh?”

 

The way he is looking at me makes me uncomfortable so I look to Ben for help but he looks away as does Brian.

 

                “It was a joke.”

 

                “To whom?”

 

                “Well hello there handsome!”  Emmett coos

 

I don’t think I have ever been so happy to see him in my life.  The stranger switches to Emmett and grins back, extending his hand.

 

                “Faal.”

 

                “Excuse me, where are you from, did you say Fa, uh Faal?”

 

                “Yes.  South Africa and you are?”

 

                “Emmett, Emmett Honeycutt.  And this…sweetie…is my lovely man Drew.  Drew this is Faal.”

 

Drew and Faal exchange handshakes and smiles.

 

                “My name is Michael and this is my husband Ben.”

 

He shakes hands with us all.

 

                “So, you were explaining to me the joke Michael.”

 

                “What joke?”  Drew asks

 

                “Michael was saying that the group of teenagers over there would be more suited to basketball than motocross because they are Black and tall and I don’t understand why that is funny?”

 

The silence after that remark makes my skin crawl, he makes it sound so bad, like I was being insulting.

 

Suddenly a grin spreads over his face as he stares off into the distance. 

 

                        “It wasn’t.”  Drew says

 

                        “What wasn’t what?”  Faal asks

 

                        “Funny.  Sometimes some people don’t think before they speak.”  He replies.

 

Faal nods and continues to stare at the group approaching us, that smile never leaving his face.  I hadn’t noticed that Justin is in that group. 

 

                “Faal, let me intro…”  I begin as he approaches.

 

Suddenly he sweeps a woman into his arms and kisses her deeply, we are all stunned as he practically sucks the air out of her lungs.

 

                “Hello, when did you…”  She gasps

 

                “My lig, my lig.”  He murmurs

 

                “Lig, what is lig?”  Emmett asks.

 

Faal lifts his head from her neck and smiles.

 

                “Light.”

 

I snort into my glass.  She whips her head round to face me but before she can say anything, he growls.

 

                “To do it once is foolish, to do it twice could get you a punch in the throat…”

 

                “Uh Faal, what’s going on here?”

 

                “He thinks that Black tall boys should only play basketball.”

 

Brian sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.

 

                “It was a joke, both times, I don’t see what you are getting so upset about…”

 

                “Where are you from, I mean your ancestry?”  He asks

 

                “Faal…” She begins

 

                “My lig, let me fight this one yes?”  He kisses the tip of her nose.

 

She sighs and nods, seriously who the fuck is this woman?

 

                “Italy.”

 

                “Hmm…so like most Italian men you are a momma’s boy yes?”

 

                “Hey!”

 

                “But it’s a joke, right?”

 

Justin snickers and even Brian smiles.  I can feel the blush creeping up my face.

 

                “You’ve made your point.”  I snap

 

                “Good.”

 

JUSTIN

 

Wow that has got to be one of the sexiest straight kisses I have ever seen and when he said let me fight this one, I almost wept.  Michael mumbles something about getting a drink and walks off looking meaningfully at Ben who reluctantly follows with Emmett and Drew.  Zaden is shaking her head and speaking to Faal quietly.  He looks contrite and then across at us.

 

                “I am sorry for that, but I will not have my lig insulted nor my boy.”

 

                “Your boy?”  I ask.

 

He points to the group of teens that Gus and Hunter had invited.

 

                “See the one with the green top, wait that’s my top…anyway, green top and blue jeans just raising his hand now?”

 

We all nod.

 

                        “My boy, Matt.”

 

“Justin, I need to go see someone, be right back.”  Brian kisses my temple and is gone

 

Zaden whispers something to Faal and she too is gone and it is just the two of us.

 

                “How did you two meet and how long have you been together, that was some kiss, still in the honeymoon stage?”

 

                        “Bar in Chelsea, in London.  Known her for 17 been with her for 15.”  He grins hugely.

 

                        “Months?”

 

                        “Years.”

 

I splutter on my drink. 

 

                        “Years? 

 

“I see you in her I think.”  He smiles at me.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’ve read her file, yes?  She’s ex-military tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, a smart and strong woman.   Look what she has done with her father’s company.  You, I have heard about after all the things that happened to you, you are still here and a raging success, but you need to realise Mr Taylor you don’t have to fight every battle to win the war.  Let him defend you…when someone bitches at you wait, look at him and nod…some of the best thank you fucks in my life have been when she has done that.”

 

I smile at his candour and look across at Brian who winks at me, I wink back and raise my glass to Faal.

 

                        “Thanks.  And it’s Justin.”

 

                “Welcome…now if you will excuse me I have to go find out why my son wears a suede shirt to motocross, not his suede shirt, my suede shirt, which is Prada by the way!  Matt!

 

I watch as he knuckles Matt’s head and then gestures towards the house and the kids start to head in our direction.

 

He bumps into Brian on the way asking him something, he nods and they head into the house.  

 

Brian snags a couple of glasses of champagne after wrapping his arms round me after he hands me one, he nuzzles my neck.

 

                “You okay?”  He asks

 

I nod and snuggle further into his chest.  Just then Ben and Michael come over, Michael does not look happy.

 

                “Oh shit now what?”  I mumble.

 

                “Are you guys enjoying yourself?”  Brian asks them

 

                “Oh I think you may have a fellow label queen in Faal…”  I say to Brian.

 

                “Him?  He was just so rude and aggressive to me…”

 

                “He was reciprocating the rudeness.”  I reply.

 

                “I wasn’t being rude, it was a joke, you know ha-ha funny, seems he doesn’t have a sense of humour.”

 

                “It is never a joke when you are the only one laughing.”  I can feel my anger rising.

 

                “Look here Boy Wonder…”

 

I feel Brian stiffen and I tap his hands to get him to let go.  I take a step towards Michael but then remembering Faal’s words, I stop, turn and give a small nod to Brian, at first he frowns and then he gets it.

 

                “Don’t call him Boy Wonder.  I have told you this before.  That shit stops now.  Do you understand?”

 

Michael looks truly stunned as does Ben, it is not as if he’s not defended me before but usually it is after the row has escalated to epic proportions and he just wants it to stop.

 

                “Uh yeah Brian I got it.”

 

“I mean it, don’t do it again.  Either respect him and all he has done for you or…”

 

                        “I said I got it.”  Michael grumbles.

 

I have never been so turned on in my life.  Brian gathers me back into his arms and I feel his cock hard against my ass, he kisses my neck and sighs happily.

 

                        “Thank you.”  He whispers

 

                        “No thank you, and I am sorry I didn’t let you do this before…”

 

Suddenly a song blares out over the system, definitely not the classic music that we had before.

 

                        “What the hell is that?”  Brian shouts

 

                        “Oh shit, be right back!”  Zaden shouts and runs to the house, suddenly the soothing music returns.

 

She comes to us looking embarrassed.

 

                “I am so sorry.  It would appear that my son wanted to change the music indoors but managed to change it outside as well…that was Harder than You Think.”

 

                        “What was?  Michael asks

 

                        “No I mean that was the song by Public Enemy.  Harder than you Think, it’s rap music.”

 

We all groan and she frowns.

 

                        “Have you listened to it?”

 

“I don’t need to listen to songs that talk about bitches, hos and…”

 

“Michael, is that what you think their songs are about?” 

 

Nobody had seen Blake come up and so we were a little surprised.

 

                “Rap or Hip-Hop music is used as a social commentary whilst the lyrics may to some be offensive, they resonate to the target audience who feel disenfranchised and ignored.  Do you know who the 2nd biggest genre is in the music world?”

 

All but Zaden shake their heads.

 

                “Hip hop and rap music.  There may have been some artists that have broken through, like Eminem and they rewarded him with an Oscar, but eventually they fall by the wayside.  Now it couldn’t get that way without people listening to it could it?  Personally I prefer Jay-Z, T.I. and Common to Eminem but that’s just me.”

 

And with that he went back to join Ted and Zaden went to find Faal.

 

                        “You know, Michael, that’s the 2nd time Blake’s slapped you down.  It’s refreshing.” 

 

He went to say something but one look from Brian and he is quiet, I must find Zaden and ask her if I could kiss her husband’s feet!

 

FAAL

 

Oh I just want to slap that little man!  How dare he?  I am so cross!

 

                “Come with me!”

 

Reluctantly I follow Zaden where she leads as I begin to explain she drops to her knees opens my zip and shuts me up.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Nice of you to defend me.”  I growl at Ben.

 

                “I can’t defend the indefensible.”  He growls back

 

Before I can say anything I hear my Ma cry out.

 

                “Now isn’t she gorgeous!”

 

We all turn to her and there is Steve, great just great, and he’s holding a little girl.  He heads towards us and puts said little girl down, she grabs hold of his leg and hides behind him.

 

                “Hey Ben, Michael having a good time?”  He asks

 

We both nod.

 

                “Who’s this little beauty?”  Ben asks getting down on his haunches to have a better look.

 

                “Taylor.  Don’t be insulted if she stays right where she is, she’s not…”

 

Taylor looks round her dad’s legs and raises her arms at Ben.

 

                “Up.”  She demands

 

                “Oh.  Um okay.”  Ben stutters and picks her up and she buries herself into his neck.

 

                “Soft.”  She whispers stroking his face.

 

                “Thank you.”

 

                “Well fuc…I mean I’ll be damned, seriously never takes to anybody, you have the magic touch Ben!”

 

Before we can say anything else there is an enormous rumble of thunder followed by rain.

 

                “Shit!  Everyone in, come on!”  Brian hollers.

 

Once we are inside, we all head to the kitchen, where we find the kids, Zaden and Faal talking. 

 

                “Brian, can I have a towel for Taylor, she got a bit wet.”  Ben asks

 

                “As much as I love the Pitts, can they not get the fucking weather right?”  Faal gripes

 

Zaden digs him in the ribs before starting to rummage through drawers.

 

                “What the hell are you doing?”  I demand.

 

                “Looking for the…aha!”  She pulls out long matches and heads to the fire place.

 

Within minutes a roaring fire is warming up the kitchen, despite my thoughts that she is being rather high handed and acting like she owns the place it is toasty warm in here. 

 

                “Okay let’s all go to the lounge Zee’s set up the fire in there too.”  Brian calls out

 

As we file out I notice that Hunter and one other boy looks rather cosy together.  What’s that about and why are Gus and Jenny grinning?

 

                “Smores!”  Emmett cries out.  “Be right back!”

 

Ten minutes later he is back everything we need for smores.

 

                “What goes better with smores than smoked brandy?   Like Ems will be right back…oh fuck it’s still raining, oh well it’s worth it!”

 

And with that she is gone. 

 

Ben still has Taylor with him despite his efforts to hand her back to her father, she is now sleeping on his shoulder wrapped in a blanket. 

 

                “Hey Ben maybe put her on the sofa she’s pretty much out.”  Steve suggests.

 

Ben shoots him a grateful smile and between the two of them they manage to get Taylor’s limpet grip loosened and settled on the sofa and I finally get to sit next to my man.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “Is it me or has she been gone a really long time?” 

 

                “No, it’s not you.”  Faal states and gets up.  “Where did she park?” 

 

                “By the back, do you want me to come with you?” 

 

He shakes his head and takes off his jacket and is gone; we all look at each other, I try not to panic over the fact he has a gun.  Matt keeps looking at the door and is breathing heavily.

 

                “Alice!”  I hear Zee bellow.

 

                “What is it, what in the world have you got…oh my goodness kitchen quickly!”

 

We all dash to the kitchen, what greets us is a sopping wet Zee with a cat, a heavily pregnant cat who looks to be in labour.

 

                “Its okay sweetie, its okay you just do what you need to do it will be fine…”  She coos at the cat

 

The cat, which looks like a Sphynx is shivering and panting hard.

 

                “Blanket.  Gus get a blanket!”  Brian shoves him out of the room.

 

                “Lig, come you need to get out of these wet things.”  Faal is rubbing her arms.

 

                “No it took me long enough to get her here…”

 

                “Move please, come on move!  Let us deal with this!”  Debbie had taken the blanket from Gus and she, Jennifer and Alice were now forming a fence round the cat.

 

                “You go get into some dry clothes, move it!”  Mom is stern

 

Zee gets up and is enveloped by Faal.

 

                “Go have a shower to warm up and you’re good with sweats right?”

 

She nods and then starts to shiver, I think she’s been running on pure adrenalin, Faal picks her up and follows me out.

 

An hour later, a grinning Debbie, Jen and Alice come into the lounge.

 

                “Well?”  Brian demands

 

                “Mama and her four babies are now sleeping, now hear this, they need quiet and rest so nobody is to disturb them for the rest of the night, do you understand.”

 

Again with the finger and again with the nodding at the finger.

 

                “But what if we need something from the kitchen…”  Michael begins

 

                “If you need something then I will go and get it for you.”  Alice snaps.

 

I look at Brian who has been so quiet since all this began, he’s worrying at his lip, I know my man he wants to see them, and so I look at Debbie and then Alice and then my mom.

 

                “Uh Brian, I think I left my glass in there could you…”  Mom says

 

He nods and exits quickly.  After the longest 10 minutes ever I go to join him.  He is just staring at them in wonderment.

 

                “They are so tiny.”  He whispers

 

                “I know.  So what are we calling them?”  I ask as I snuggle into his lap.

 

MICHAEL

 

Taylor has managed to insinuate herself onto Ben’s lap again and playing with his fingers.   Jenny is bouncing between the sofa and the kitchen door, she wants to see the kittens.

 

                “Jenny no, come on you heard Alice.”  Mel reprimands

 

                “But Uncle…”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Okay.  But first thing tomorrow!”

 

                “I don’t doubt that for a minute.”  Alice chuckles and ruffles her hair.

 

She heads back to her friends and is grinning again.  Hunter and that boy seem to be enjoying each other’s company very much.

 

                “So who are you?”  I ask him

 

                “Uh, Matt, my name is Matt sir.”  He extends a hand and I shake it.

 

                “How did you guys meet?”

 

                “At motocross we told you that dad.”  Jenny reminds me

 

I feel Ben’s arm drape over my shoulders.

 

                “Ben, nice to meet you Matt.”  He shakes his hand.  “Who are the rest of your friends?”

 

Everyone in their group introduces themselves.

 

                “So rap music.  It’s a social commentary about your disenchantment with society?”  I ask

 

Hunter coughs and walks away.

 

                “Um, yeah it is to some, I just happen to like it.  Mom turned me onto it one day and that was that.”

 

                “I see.  She does seem rather broad minded.”

 

Matt shrugs and looks across at Hunter who snickers before turning back to me

 

                “I would say more open minded, wouldn’t you guys?”  They all nod.

 

I have a feeling I am the butt of a joke and I don’t like it.

 

                “How about HIV she open minded about that?”

 

                “Michael may I have a word?”  Carl is at my side.

 

                “Who has HIV?”  Matt asks

 

                “Well…”

 

                “Me.”  Ben states and takes his arm off my shoulders

 

                “Wow, how long?  Sorry, I mean…”

 

                “It’s okay, what do you want to know?” 

 

Carl pulls me to one side and then Ben is surrounded by the kids and taking questions.  Hunter shakes his head and leaves.

 

                “There is only so much of you being a dick that I can stand!”  Carl snaps

 

                “What’s going on now?”  Ma asks.

 

                “Nothing, nothing at all.”

 

                “I think he was going to spring Hunter’s status on that boy he’s been hanging out with and Ben took the hit for him!”

 

                “Not true!  I was leading up to a discussion about HIV in general and Ben leapt in when he misconstructed where I was going…”

 

                “Misconstrued dumbass!”  Carl snarls and leaves.

 

                “Why would HIV need to be discussed in any way?  Tell me, look me in the eyes and tell me you weren’t going to do that!” 

 

                “I wasn’t going to do that.”

 

She looks at me for a couple of minutes then nods and goes to join Carl.

 

Ben comes behind me and leans close to my ear, I lean back but am surprised when he leans away.

 

                “Don’t you ever do that again.”  He snarls and leaves

 

HUNTER

 

I know I shouldn’t cry but I am so humiliated, I know exactly where dear ole papa was heading with that.  Well at least it’s over sooner rather than later! 

 

                “Hunter can I come in?”  It’s Matt, might as well get it over with

 

I open the door and he comes in.

 

                “You okay?”

 

                “Yeah.”

 

                “Must be tough, having a father like that.”

 

I shrug willing him just to get to the point.

 

                “Hey look at me.  Look at me.”

 

He tips my head up and smiles at me.

 

                “Uncle, two cousins and one…um friend…I know have HIV.  And I don’t give a fuck.  I just see them and nothing else.  Okay?”

 

I nod and blink back tears, he brushes them away and licks them off his thumbs.

 

                “Who’s the friend?” 

 

                “You.”

 

He brushes back my hair and kisses my forehead.

 

                “Oh God Matt is kissing my forehead.”  I think to myself.  “Do not freak out over this!”

 

                “And also maybe not talk out loud.”  Matt whispers

 

Before I can embarrass myself anymore his mouth covers mine.  It is the gentlest kiss in the world.

 

                “Okay?”

 

                “You, you kissed me.”

 

He nods and pushes me back onto the bed and slides over me, he runs his fingers through my hair.  My heart is pounding and all blood is now in my crotch.

 

                “I would like to do that again.”

 

 

The last word I say before we kiss again is please…

Chapter 8 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 8 – YEP HE’S THAT STUPID….

 

MATT

 

Jesus he can kiss!  His mouth is so sweet tasting and he has the softest hair.  I wonder what his skin feels like…

 

                “Why’d you stop?”  He pants looking confused

 

                “So we can breathe.”  I reply with a grin.

 

He giggles, yep giggles, and then looks at me.

 

                “You are gorgeous.”  He whispers

 

                “Bottom lip.”

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “You said you wanted to do something with my bottom lip.”

 

He grins and rolls us over.

 

                “Yeah…this.”

 

FAAL

 

Zee is still shivering a bit but at least she’s dry.  As we head downstairs I glance at the open door and see Matt and Hunter on the bed.  We hear the rest of the kids chattering in Gus’s bedroom and leave them to it.

 

                “They making out?”

 

                “Yep.  He seems a nice young man.  His papa, Michael, not so much I think.  But Ben I like.”

 

She nods and takes my hand, the sweats that Justin left out for her are much too big and she looks adorably small in them.  We head into the lounge and space is made for her in front of the fire.

 

                “Where are Brian and Justin?”  I ask.

 

                “Cooing over their new additions to the family.”  Alice chuckles.

 

                “Oh how many?”  Zee asks

 

                “Four and they seem to be okay.  Would you like a brandy Zee?”  Alice asks.

 

She nods and then leaps up.

 

                “Crap be right back.” 

 

She dashes out and they all look a bit confused.

 

                “The smoker gun for the brandy, remember that’s what she went out for in the first place.”

 

She comes back and is followed by Brian and Justin.

 

                “So you are now slaves to cats.”  Ben chuckles

 

Brian smirks but says nothing.

 

                “What is she doing?”  Justin asks me.

 

                “Smoking the brandy.  It enhances the flavour and adds sweetness, takes off the burn.”

 

She pours a glass for Brian first, tentatively he takes a sip and then smiles.

 

                “This is really good, where’d you get that thing?”

 

                “Faal?”

 

                “Oh any hardware shop sells them.”

 

                “Can you get them online?”  He asks heading for his computer.

 

I nod and follow and soon not only do we have a smoker gun for him but he has ordered enough cat stuff to open his own store.

 

                “Like Ben says….you are now slaves to cats.”

 

He rolls his eyes at me and shakes his glass.

 

                “A small one though.”  I call out to him.

 

                “Why don’t you both stay?”  He calls back.

 

                “We’d love to but we have to get the rest of the kids back to ours, think Matt drove.”  I reply

 

                “They can stay too.  Think Gus and Hunter would love that.  Hang on.”  Justin bellows upstairs and Gus and his friends come down, they are more than happy with the new arrangements.

 

                “Um where’s Hunter?  He didn’t come down.”  Ben asks.

 

                “Making out with Matt.”  Zee replies

 

                “Mom!”

 

We all whirl round to face Matt and Hunter, they both look thoroughly kissed.

 

                “So that’s not what you were doing?”  I tease him.

 

                “Parents!”  Matt sighs and stomps back upstairs followed by Hunter who has gone bright red.

 

                “Consider that payback for the shirt!”  I yell at him.

 

We all burst out laughing.

 

ZEE

 

                “So we’re staying then?”  I nuzzle Faal’s neck.

 

                “Mmm my lig, we stay tonight.”

 

                “Alice do you need a hand setting up the rooms?”

 

                “Oh no you don’t…”

 

                “Alice we’ve had this conversation before…”

 

                “Alright come on then.”  She shakes her head and leads me out.

 

FAAL

 

                “Justin may I have a word with you and Brian in private?”

 

Looks are exchanged but they follow me out leading me to the study.

 

                “About the gun.  I apologise.  I know it scared you a little but I always carry it but if you wish me to leave it at home whilst I am here I will.”

 

                “Does Zee carry one too?”  Justin asks quietly

 

                “Yes, we are in the security business and to us it is habit like putting on a tie.”

 

                “Justin it is no different than the security we have here, they have guns too.  And Carl carries one.”  Brian hugs him.

 

                “Yeah but that was a little close to home no?  And to see Matt panic a bit too didn’t help.  He’s never seen it either.  Dad in work mode.”

 

Justin nods and thinks for a bit.

 

                “If, if you don’t mind, since we have security here, could you both not wear them in here?”

 

                “Justin…”

 

                “No Brian, it is his right this is his house and I will respect that and let Zee know.”

 

                “Thank you Faal, for, for understanding.”

 

I smile and head out to leave them to their discussion calling out to Zee.

 

                “What why are you trying to wake the dead with your yelling?”  She smiles at me.

 

                “Funny.  Justin would like us…”

 

                “Not to wear our guns?”

 

I nod and head to what is our bedroom for the night, taking it off I put it under the pillow.  She had already taken hers off and put it there, I look at her quirking an eyebrow.

 

                “Alice.”

 

                “Aha.”

 

BRIAN

 

I hold onto Justin and let him cry.  I stroke his hair until he quietens.

 

                “I know it’s silly…”  He begins.

 

                “It’s not silly if it makes you uncomfortable to have one so close.  Come on sit down and explain.”

 

                “It’s not that, it’s just, it’s just.  I can’t explain it properly.  He was just so…”

 

                “In work mode and you’ve only just met him and the first thing he does is pull a gun to protect her.”

 

He nods into my chest.

 

                “They’ve been together for 15 years you know?”

 

                “Wow.  And they are still like that?”

 

He nods and pulls my head down and kisses the breath out of me.

 

                “You should be thanking him too.”

 

                “Wh…oh it was his idea was it, letting me take Mikey out.”

 

                “Mmm.  Do you think we have time…”

 

                “We always have time.”  I growl.

 

CARL

 

Zee and Faal come back in and settle back by the fire place. 

 

“Everything okay?”

 

Faal nods and tightens his embrace round her.

 

                “So what did you want to talk to them about, that couldn’t be said in front of his friends, his best friend and family?”  Michael demands

 

Steve clears his throat and starts to rise.

 

                “I think it is time for me to be going now, this little lady needs her bed and has been using Ben as a pillow long enough.  Say goodbye Taylor.”

 

A sleepy Taylor is reluctantly prised out of Ben’s arms and I show them out as I pass the study I hear a deep moan, right so we won’t be seeing them for a while.  I head quickly back into the lounge and my face must have said everything.

 

                “Ah they are having a nice talk yes?”  Faal teases

 

                “Um yeah, let’s uh go with that.”  I stammer

 

Everyone chuckles and shakes their head.

 

                “Well?”  Michael’s imperious tones cuts through the silence

 

                “Well, if you or anybody else needed to know what was discussed then the discussion would’ve included you, as it did not you don’t need to know.”  Faal replies starting to lose patience

 

                “You might as well tell me, Brian will anyway…”

 

                “No I won’t.  Like Faal said if we needed you to know you would’ve been with us.”  Brian tells him.

 

Michael folds his arms over his chest and pouts.  Luckily we are saved from anymore histrionics by the kids coming down.  They are teasing Matt and Hunter who are taking it in their stride, suppose it is not so bad when it is your friends doing it.

 

                “You okay Matt, I mean about earlier?”  Faal asks him.

 

He smiles and nods.

 

                “We’ve just come down for…”

 

                “Air?”

 

                “Mom please!” 

 

Gus laughs and then looks at Alice.

 

                “Food?”  She asks, he nods.

 

                “We’re going to the media room to watch a movie and then we’ll head up after that okay?”

 

Brian nods and pulls Justin into his lap who is asleep within minutes.

 

                “Seriously how does he do that?  He can sleep anywhere!”  Ted sounds bewildered.

 

                “Amazing how soporific a good fucking is.”  Brian murmurs.

 

                “Brian!”  We all yell, apart from Zee and Faal who are too busy making out.

 

                “Maybe you should take that upstairs!”  Michael snaps

 

                “My turn?”  Zee asks and Faal shakes his head.

 

                “For once you have a good idea.  Come my lig to bed.  Good night everyone.”

 

Everyone bids them goodnight and they leave giggling like school children.

 

                “Okay I have had enough!  What the fuck do you think you were doing earlier and don’t give me that bullshit you told your mother.  I said there is only so much of you being a dick I can take and it ends now!  You had every intention of letting Matt know about Hunter but Ben took the hit.  It is not your story to tell!  This is the second time you’ve run your mouth over someone else’s business and I swear to God Michael either buck your ideas up or stay out of our home, you will not, I repeat, will not hurt Hunter – he saved Ben’s life for fuck sake and this is how you treat him!”  I snap.

 

                “Dad is that true?”  Jenny’s quiet voice stuns us all.

 

        “No of course not, like I said I was merely talking about being open minded….”

 

        “From out of nowhere, you decide to talk about HIV?”  She demands

 

        “Yes, that is all.”

 

Jenny stares at him for a long time, she nods and leaves.

 

        “Come on Red time to go home.”  I pull a stunned Debs to her feet and we head out.

 

Justin had woken up during the yelling and follows us out, with everyone but Brian, Michael and Ben following suit.

 

        “Sorry Justin…”

 

        “It’s okay we can always rely on Michael to…sorry Debbie.”

 

        “No honey it’s fine.  He really is a dumb asshole and if he thinks I am backing him on this he can think again.  Now time for us to go, time for Carl and I to follow Zee and Faal’s lead.”

 

Justin shudders.

 

        “Eww old people sex!”

 

        “Hah good night Sunshine.  Say goodnight to Brian for me.”

 

He nods and closes the door.

 

BEN

 

        “You have a month Michael.  That’s all I will give you a month.”

 

I head out shouting to Hunter that we are going now, he comes down the stairs looking sheepish and slightly dishevelled. 

 

        “So tell me about Matt…”

 

Michael sulks for the journey home, rolling his eyes at any mention of Matt and Faal.

 

Over the next month Michael does adjust his behaviour towards Hunter, just enough not to incur Ben’s wrath.  As for Hunter and Matt well they are getting on fabulously agreeing to take it slow.  Ben always knows when Matt is calling as “It’s Alright” by Khayree is the ring tone and the soppy grin on his face.  Through Matt, much to Michael’s chagrin, Hunter has discovered a love of rap, hip-hop and house music and judging by the bopping of Ben’s head sometimes so does he. 

 

And of course the cats rule the roost and are thoroughly spoilt, Justin pretends not to notice the amount of times Lilah, one of the kittens, has curled up on Brian’s chest whilst he dozes in the study…

 

…but Michael can’t hold his tongue for too long, I mean look at the title of the chapter….

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S KITCHEN – AUGUST 2014

 

MICHAEL

 

Well here I am bored out of my mind listening to Steve and Ben, not that I am really interested if I am honest, talk some shit about exercise.  Why can’t they go to gym and talk there.  Oh this is beyond dull, I am going to the diner to see Ma. 

 

1 HOUR LATER

 

Now that hit the spot, might have to walk this off a bit…wait a minute, is that Hunter, yes it is what the hell is he doing going to Brian’s loft?  What the fuck is that about?

 

Over the next couple of weeks I follow Hunter when I can and although he doesn’t go to the loft every time when he does go on Saturday he spends all day there.  Oh just wait till dinner on Sunday!

 

DEBBIE’S HOUSE – SUNDAY EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

The kids have been out shopping, most of the day, they come in laughing and joking.

 

                “Hi Jenny…”

 

She looks round the room.

 

                “Where’s papa?”

 

                “Upstairs having a nap.”  Carl says smiling at her.

 

                “Is he okay?”  She and Hunter say at the same time

 

Carl pats their shoulders and smiles.

 

                “Fine, like I said just a nap, relax…”

 

                “I said hi Jenny…”

 

She heads towards the stairs, taking the 2 at a time.

 

                “Honey, aren’t you going to say hello to your dad?”  Carl is frowning

 

                “Yes, grandpa that’s where I am going.”  And with that she’s gone.

 

I am spitting with fury.  Hunter saunters to the kitchen and takes something from the pot, ducking out of the half-hearted swipe aimed at him by my mother. 

 

That’s it enough I have had enough!  I am beyond pissed and can barely contain myself.  Ben had noticed that I have been agitated but I have been telling him it’s nothing, well come on our little squatter, let’s see you get out of this

 

                “So Hunter, explain to us, to the family that took you in why you would do this?!  I knew you would going to be trouble, took you a long enough time to show your true colours!  It’s not enough that you took the money from Brian but to betray my best friend and me like that…”

 

                “What are you talking about?!”  Hunter yells blushing

 

                “Wait till Brian hears about this he will leave you with exactly what you deserve…nothing!  You took away our trust now we are going to take away yours starting with the college fund…”

 

                “What the fuck is all the yelling about?  We could hear you in the street!” 

 

Justin bellows silencing the room as he and Brian walk in

 

                “Brian!  You are not going to believe what this…”

 

                “Wait Mi...”  Hunter began again

 

                “He stole my key to the loft, made a copy and has been going there for at least 2 weeks maybe longer, I have no idea, like I said he’s a liar and a thief, are you using it as a fuck pad for you and your boyfriend…”

 

                “Oh Michael I really wish for once you used your key instead of that line…”  Justin began

 

                “This has nothing to do with you Justin, this is between Brian, me and Hunter!”

 

                “When was the last time you were at the loft?”  Justin continued

 

                “Over the last few years there’s been no reason for me to go there…”

 

                “It’s never stopped you before!”  Hunter yells back with tears streaming down his face

 

                “I gave him the key Mikey, the locks were changed about 2 years ago, so your key would not have worked.”  Brian says calmly.

 

                “But…but why would you, when did you…?”  I stammer my face burning

 

Carl stood next to Hunter and gently tugged on his arm leaning in he whispers

 

                “I have it on good authority from my other grandson over there that I give the best hugs, want to test that theory?”

 

Hunter follows him outside giving me one last filthy look.

 

                “Hunter I…”

 

                “Quiet Michael, just be quiet!”  Drew snaps

 

                “In answer to your question, this, this is why!  You have been like shit to Hunter ever since Ben came home, so I gave him the key so he could get away for a break, he’s not done anything in there, he always lets us know when he’s going and when he’s leaving, he’s been respectful, he’s Gus’s best friend for fuck sake and we trust him…”

 

Ben clears his throat and we all whirl round to face him and Jenny.

 

                “Hey J let’s go see Hunter, do you think we should…uh dad?”  Gus asks

 

Brian just nodded and they left

 

                “I want to go home.  Can someone take me and Hunter please?”

 

Drew nods and gets up followed by Emmett, who looks at me with disgust, he heads out back and calls to them, Hunter has red eyes and is sniffing, he walks straight into Ben’s embrace.

 

                “He didn’t even let me explain…”  He whimpers

 

                “Sssh, let’s just go home and talk there okay?”

 

Hunter nods and they start to leave when Brian calls out to them

 

                “I want you to hear this Hunter.  Michael if you give him any shit about this key or try and interfere in anyway with his time there, I will sign the loft over to him, are we clear?!”

 

I blink rapidly, round the table are gasps of shock, but nod my agreement

 

                “In fairness, if you or he had told me; well then I wouldn’t have…”

 

                “You just couldn’t help yourself could you?  I am sick of it!  Grandma can I stay here, I can’t be in the same room as him!”  She yells, her face is red and tears are starting to fall

 

 “Enough Jenny you will not talk to me that way!” I retort

 

“J, come on stay with us.  That’ll be okay dad, papa right can she stay?”

 

                “Out Michael get out!  How could you treat my grandson like that!  I never thought I would say this again, but once again you have made me ashamed of you!”  Ma yells and points to the door.

 

I grab my coat and head out to the car and drive home.  When I get there Drew and Emmett were just pulling away.  Once inside, I find Ben and Hunter sitting on the sofa.

 

                “Hunter if you had just told me what was going on…”

 

                “Amazing, just fucking amazing, instead of leading with ‘I’m sorry’ you try to put the blame on me, well fuck that, I’m going to bed, goodnight dad!”

 

Ben watches as he storms upstairs.

 

                “Ben…”

 

He hold up a hand and gets up.

 

                “Don’t just don’t.  I told you, I told you that I would give you a month, well we need space some serious space.  Don’t come upstairs.  I want you out of this house by tomorrow.”

 

He says tiredly and goes upstairs.

 

BRITIN

 

JENNY

 

I cannot believe how dad just talked to Hunter and about Hunter, I pick up my phone and dial the number

 

                “Honeybun…listen I…”

 

                “This shit you have going on with Hunter stops or I won’t speak to you until you do!” 

 

With that I cut off the phone and head downstairs.

 

MICHAEL

 

What the hell just happened?  I sit down in shock, but I know they are just angry right now, I know it will be fine by morning.

 

NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL

 

I come downstairs to Hunter who on seeing me immediately leaves.  I sigh and put the coffee on and hear Ben approaching.

 

                “Morning Ben.  How’d you sleep?”

 

                “How do you think I slept Michael?”

 

                “I missed you too.”

 

He sighs and leans against the counter.

 

                “No that’s not why I slept badly Michael!  I slept badly because I should’ve been protecting Hunter from you.  I slept badly because I should’ve said something to you about our anniversary, you know the one you forgot because you were so busy!  What were you doing Michael that you couldn’t remember that we have been together for this long?  Or did you just not care?”

 

                “Ben of course I care!  I simply forgot that’s all there is nothing sinister about it.”

 

                “So what happened to the food?”

 

                “The food?”

 

                “Yeah the fois gras, champagne and caviar where is it or did you have a party all by yourself!”

 

                “What are…”

 

                “The Thursday before Gus’s birthday BBQ the food came and we opened one box and it had all this fancy stuff in it.  At first we thought it was a mistake until J pointed out it was our anniversary the following week so we resealed it and pretended like nothing happened.  And I waited Michael, I waited for you to bring that food in, so what happened to it, who was it for?”

 

                “It was for me and you…”

 

He shakes his head angrily.

 

                “Then where is it, it’s not here so where is it!  You know what never mind, just be gone by the time I get back home at lunchtime!”

 

He storms upstairs slamming the bedroom door shut.

 

I just stand there for a minute before dashing upstairs to our room

 

                “Ben you cannot be serious!  I made a couple of mistakes…”

 

                “Michael start packing.”

 

He closes he bathroom door in my face.

 

HUNTER

 

Shit I don’t want them to split up but he was so nasty to me, maybe if I leave it will be better, yeah that’s what I will do.  I’ll ask Brian if I can stay at the loft so they can work out their problems.  I start putting stuff in my bag.

 

                “Don’t you dare, it’s not your fault.”  Dad comes into my room and starts taking the stuff out again.

 

                “But if I’m not here, then maybe you can talk better, I can go to the loft to give you space.”

 

                “No Hunter, this is your home and you have done nothing and I mean nothing wrong.  This is all on Michael and the sooner he learns that the better.  Now don’t you have a boyfriend to go see?”

 

I nod and give him a hug.

 

                “We will be okay no matter what happens between Michael and I, you will always have me, OK?”

 

I nod again and call Brian to say that I am going to the loft and would be meeting Matt there, Brian was in the middle of teasing me when I hear him yell at Justin to get his damn cats off his Gucci suit, yep totally owned by the furballs.

 

I head to the loft and am surprised to find Matt already there, he takes me into his arms and I just burst into tears.

 

                “What is it, what’s wrong come on tell me!”  He pulls me into the elevator and holds me tight, I feel so safe in his arms.

 

                “They’re splitting up and it’s all my fault!  No matter what dad says!”  I hiccup.

 

He takes the key and shuffles us in before depositing me on the sofa.  He hands me the coffee he bought me, which I could smell but not see, how did he manage not to spill it.

 

                “Here drink this and start from the top.”

 

Settling into the corner of the sofa he pulls me into the vee of his legs and I tell him all that happened.

 

                “Fucker!”  He growls.  “Sorry I know he’s your dad and all but who says that to their kid!”

 

I take his hand and give it a squeeze, feeling happier that he is defending me, turning round to face him I kiss him and then curl up in his lap, he strokes my hair.

 

                “Not my fault?”  I mumble

 

                “Nope.”

 

He turns on the TV and we spend the day just watching TV, chatting and making out…a lot of making out.

 

BEN

 

I really hope that Hunter took on board what I said and Michael takes what I said seriously, we need space and time to see if each other is what we really want.

 

MICHAEL

 

He’s not serious about this, he’s just angry about the way I humiliated Hunter, well once I apologise it will be fine.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S HOUSE – LUNCH TIME

 

BEN

 

He’s still here but I had a feeling he would be so am prepared.  He’s smiling like nothing happened this morning.

 

                “Where’s Hunter do you know?”  He asks

 

                “With Matt, they are spending the day together.”

 

                “Oh that’s nice, I wanted to apologise to him.  And to you of course, so Ben…”

 

                “Let’s get out of here for a bit shall we?”  I say.

 

He looks surprised but eagerly follows me out, we go to the diner.  Debbie looks warily at us.

 

                “So you two okay?  How’s my grandson?”

 

                “We’re fine ma and so will Hunter be don’t worry.”  He replies smiling at me.

 

Carl comes in and head straight for us and hands me the keys.

 

                “Thanks Carl I appreciate it.”

 

                “No problem.”  He nods.

 

“We are not fine Debbie and we haven’t been for a while, I knew you wouldn’t leave Michael so I have had the locks changed.  Am I to send your things to your mother’s?”

 

                “What the fuck are you talking about?”  Debbie snaps

 

                “You’re throwing me out!”  Michael shouts the entire diner goes quiet.

 

                “I said I needed space Michael and you had to be out and now you are.  Take this time to think properly, I know I will be.” 

 

I head out ignoring him shouting my name.

 

DEBBIE

 

                “Michael what the fuck did you do now?”  She yells at me.

 

                “What hasn’t he done Deb and no before you even think about it, he’s not staying at ours.”  Carl retorts

 

                “But Carl…”

 

                “No Debbie.”  He folds his arms and stares me down.

 

                “Ma…”  Michael begins.

 

                “Sorry honey…”

 

                “You’re abandoning me!  That is my home!  You have no right to dictate when I come and go Carl!”

 

                “Actually Michael, it hasn’t been your home for a while now, it is mine and your mother’s it is my name on the deed along with hers and I have warned you time and time again that your behaviour will have you unwelcomed and now it has.  Until you sort stuff out with Ben and Hunter, you are not welcome!  Red I have to go, see you tonight.”

 

With that Carl kisses me on the cheek and is gone.

 

                “Well at least I know where I stand!”  Michael snaps at me and storms out.

 

                “The shows over people back to eating!”  I snap and bustle back to the kitchen.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

Lilah is looking at me with those big blue eyes of hers, how, just how she has managed to twist me round her little paws is beyond me.  I am currently trying to resist the quiet demand she is making for the salmon on my plate.  And here comes the winding round my feet.

 

                “Oh for fuck sake here!” 

 

I hand her the salmon and she takes it away to eat in peace with her tail up in the air.

 

                “If you stop giving into her so much she won’t win you know.”  Justin teases me.

 

                “You tell anybody that I am kitten whipped I will castrate you.”  I pull him into a hug.

 

He giggles and hugs me back, just as we decide that kissing is a good idea the phone rings.

 

                “Let it go to the answer machine…”  He mumbles starting to unbutton my shirt.

 

                “Mmm good idea.”

 

And like a dash of cold water, all desire is lost by the tearful voice of Michael, my first thought is of Debbie and I dash to grab it.

 

                “Michael what’s happened is ma okay?”  I gasp out.

 

                “What oh she’s fine, a traitor but fine, no I need to stay with you guys for a while Ben has kicked me out, he’s being totally unreasonable!  And don’t get me started on Carl who has the nerve to say that I am not welcome in my home and ma backed him up.  I am on my way to collect some things and I will be there in about an hour.  I’m not sure how long it is going to take for Ben to cool down…”

 

                “Um no you won’t.”  I interrupt him.

 

                “What?”

 

                “No you won’t be coming here…”

 

                “Oh I can use the loft then?  Even better it’s nearer the store and…”

 

                “No not the loft either.”

 

                “Then where am I going to go.”

 

Justin takes the phone off of me and sighs.

 

                “They are called hotels Michael, now go and sort this problem out yourself.  Goodbye.”

 

I can hear him shouting my name.

 

                “You know he’s going to come here anyway?” 

 

                “Most likely but until he does then we will have to find a way of entertaining ourselves won’t we…”

 

I nod and take his hand pulling him up the stairs all thoughts of Michael and his problems a swift and distant memory.

 

 

You’d think that he would take this time to evaluate his behaviour see things from Hunter and Ben’s perspective but of course he doesn’t.  He misses his creature comforts having finally found shelter with Drew and Emmett.  He blames Justin for no stay at Britin and Hunter for not telling him about the loft key because if he had then he wouldn’t have blown up on him and Jenny is still not talking to him…but things can only get better right….

Chapter 9 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 9 – KNOWING WHICH BUTTONS TO PUSH…IS BOTH GOOD AND BAD

 

It has been 3 weeks since Ben and Michael separated and among their family both old and new members the reverberations are being felt…

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT HOUSEHOLD

 

DREW

 

I come down and find Michael with his head in the fridge.  The whole point of him staying at the pool house was that he didn’t come in here, especially in those ratty ass boxers.  I take a deep breath and paste on a smile.

               

                “Morning Michael.”

 

                “Oh hi Drew…”  He briefly stops rifling round my fridge and looks over the door at me.

 

                “What are you doing exactly?”  I ask grinding my teeth…my very expensive teeth.

 

He finally deigns to look at me properly and boy do I wish he hadn’t.  He has about 3 days’ worth of growth and it looks like his hair hasn’t seen a comb in days, though that being said it is an improvement on his normal style.

 

                “I need eggs, I have run out.”  He takes some of out of the fridge and heads back to the pool house

 

                “Uh Michael, the whole point of you being in a self-contained pool house with its own facilities is that you don’t help yourself to stuff in here…”

 

                “I know but I am hungry and it’s only a few eggs…”

 

                “Michael…”

 

                “Fine!”  He slams them down and stomps out and if he doesn’t think I saw that smirk when they cracked then he’s wrong.

 

                “Emmett!”

 

                “I heard, I know, let me talk to him…again!”

 

EMMETT

 

I go the pool house and Michael is standing there eating his cereal.

 

                “So you had cereal then?”  I ask.

 

                “Yeah but I wanted eggs instead.”

 

I do the KP* on the bridge of my nose and take a breath.

 

                “This is not working Michael, you need to fix things with Ben…”

 

                “Don’t you think I have tried that?!”

 

                “No actually I don’t think you have tried that!  Do you have any idea how hurtful what you said about and to Hunter was?  You called him a liar and a thief without basis or foundation!  And from what I heard about what you said at the BBQ…”

 

                “That was a misunderstanding!”

 

                “Whatever Michael, you have to hold up your hands and fix your shit because Drew wants you out and quite frankly looking at this place, so do I!”

 

He sits down dejectedly and looks up with tears in his eyes.

 

                “They won’t talk to me.”

 

                “Honey do you blame them?”

 

He shrugs and says nothing.

 

                “Remember how you got Ben back the first time, maybe that will work again?”

 

He gives a watery smile and I give him a hug.

 

                “But first things first, you need a shower, you are beyond ripe!”

 

I head out, it’s time to placate my man in the only way this nelly queen knows how!

 

MICHAEL

 

Right operation get Ben back begins now and Boy Wonder you are going to help!  But Emmett’s right I do need to shower first!  I feel more refreshed 30 minutes later, I head to the laptop and start ordering stuff and then I head to go to the store so I can start to bring Ben and I back together.

 

BEN

 

I am at work when the huge card arrives and my heart sinks.  I take it into my office having had the ignominy of collecting it from main reception and take a breath and then my heart melts. 

 

On the front of the card is a large brown bear giving a smaller bear a hug and on the inside it says “Dear Uncle Ben, thank you for letting me sleep on you all that time, you were very comfortable and soft.  Love Taylor xxx”.  I reach for the phone.

 

                “Hey Steve its Ben.  You good?”

 

                “Hey, I’m good how you doing?”

 

                “Well I just got a very nice thank you card in the post today so that cheered me up, how is she?”

 

                “Being a little princess at the moment, those terrible twos are worse than anyone says!  I am glad you liked it, I meant to send it before we went on holiday but got caught up in other stuff.”

 

                “She writes very well for a 2 year old.”

 

                “Hah she may have had a little bit of help.  Listen, are we still on for our sessions, Italy has its disadvantages and that would be pasta and good wine.”

 

                “Absolutely, starting tomorrow deal?”

 

                “Deal.  Chat then.”

 

                “Take care.”

 

I hang up and get back to the task of grading papers.  It turns out to be a longer day than I expected but I am surprised when I get home and find a box on the step but the lights are on, I hope Hunter’s okay, surely he would’ve picked up the box.

 

I was about to call out his name when I spot them, I know I shouldn’t think of them as sweet but they do look sweet.  He and Matt are lying on the sofa both asleep with Hunter in Matt’s arms.  I cover them with a blanket and turn off the TV before bringing the box in.

 

Before I open it I put in a call.

 

                “Hey Zee, its Ben…”

 

                “Why are you whispering?”

 

                “Wait let me take this outside.  That’s better.  Look Matt’s here, no there’s no problem unless you count them being asleep, what’s his curfew.  Ah right okay.  I am not sure how he got here I don’t see his car, you will okay I will wake them up before then.  Okay see you then.”

 

I head back inside and smile, they haven’t moved an inch.

 

I clear up as quietly as I can and head back to the kitchen and open the box, what the fuck! 

 

FAAL

 

                “Asleep are you sure he said asleep?”

 

Zee is sniggering at me as she approaches and wraps her arms round my waist.

 

                “My darling, whilst he has picked up some of your habits being a nympho is not one of them.”

 

I snort and nuzzle her head.

 

                “I am not, you just happen to be scrumptious!  It’s just has he not seen Hunter, I mean he’s….”

 

                “Finish that sentence carefully.”

 

                “What?  You’re saying I can’t appreciate the beauty of my fellow man?”

 

                “Not when it’s your son’s boyfriend and not when you’re telling your wife that?”

 

                “You know what I mean.”

 

She sighs and hugs me again before kissing me on the neck.

 

                “I do, but, no hear me, they want to take it slow and what with Hunter’s HIV let’s just leave them be to do what they want to do at their own pace.”

 

                “I cannot prod him in the right direction?”

 

                “Seriously you did not ask that!”

 

                “Okay am leaving it alone…spoilsport”

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

Surely he has got it by now.  Maybe I should call and see if he’s got it, maybe it was stolen but we are in a good neighbourhood now, oh to hell with this.

 

                “Ben it’s me.”

 

                “Ah Michael, what the hell were you thinking?”

 

                “As I said to you it was for us and…”

 

                “So you sent me a box of rubbish thanks a lot!” 

 

He hangs up on me and I dash to the back of the store…oh shit I sent the wrong box.

 

MATT

 

Oh jeez he keeps grinding his ass like that I am going to explode!

 

                “Hun…Hunter wake up.”

 

                “Hmm what time is it, everything okay?”  He turns round to face me and our cocks brush and I almost lose it.

 

                “I need to go home soon, cur-curfew is almost upon us and I ne-need to all a cab.”

 

Luckily in his half asleep state he hasn’t notice me trying not to cream my jeans. 

 

                “Okay.  I’m up.  You want a hot drink before you go?”

 

I nod not trusting myself to speak.  Luckily all erotic thoughts die when Ben comes in the room, never have I been so happy to see him.

 

                “Hi Ben.”

 

                “Nice to see you are awake now, your mom should be here soon.  Did you have a good sleep?”

 

                “Yeah, we got a bit tired out from motocross I guess and we crashed out.”

 

                “Ah so that’s where you went.  I’ve never been, I am not sure these old bones will take it.”

 

Hunter comes back in with a coffee, he puts it on the table and then stretches out on the sofa with his head in my lap, immediately my hand goes into his hair, he thinks to stroke it as normal, but I need to move him forward a bit or I will be drilling into his head.

 

Ben chuckles and then looks up.

 

                “Your mom’s here.”

 

I practically throw him to the floor, pick him up, apologise, drop a quick kiss goodbye and shoot out the door.

 

HUNTER

 

                “What the fuck just happened, he couldn’t get out of here quick enough?”

 

                “He has to take care of something.”

 

                “His dumping me text?” 

 

                “Dumping you…what are you…no Hunter judging by the squirming that is the last thing he’s going to do!”

 

                “Squirming?”

 

                “Yes Hunter, you make him squirm and that’s a good thing.  Think about it.  Good night son.”

 

Dad heads upstairs and I take the still full cup to the kitchen, I meant to ask him about the box of rubbish but figure he will tell me soon enough.  My phone rings.

 

                “Hey…”

 

I head upstairs with a smile on my face, not only because he called but I understood the squirming comment.

 

THE DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

I am hoping to see either Hunter or Ben in here.  Well more Ben than Hunter so that I can explain the mix up with the boxes.  I have the correct one with me now.  Oh great just fucking great, here comes Carl.

 

                “Carl.”

 

He acknowledges me with a nod.  He heads to the counter and settles in his usual spot, what’s that’s it, no sorry for keeping you out of your birth home, no sorry for conspiring with Ben to have me kicked out of my home?  Well we will soon see about that.

 

                “Whatever it is you are going to say, think carefully, think again and then speak.” 

 

I sigh and grind my teeth, turning to the newest member of our little family.

 

                “Faal, how nice to see you again.  I wouldn’t have thought you would frequent a place like this.”

 

He chuckles lightly brushing his hands through his hair.  After raising his sunglasses and he fixes me with a cold blue eyed stare.

 

                “Wow, you’d think you would use that amazing power of yours for good rather than stupidity.  In one sentence you have managed to insult your mother and lie to me at the same time…”

 

Before I could say anything, ma comes out from the kitchen.

 

                “Hey Michael, what are you doing here.  And Faal on time as usual, here honey.  We will see you at the weekend right?”  She waves a finger in his face

 

                “Of course, though we may be a little late, we have to go over to the house to check on the work.”

 

She nods and then leaves a lipstick mark on his face, he rubs his cheek ruefully and on his way out bumps Carl, who rolls his eyes good naturedly and shakes his head.

 

                “Ma how have you been?”  I turn to her stiffly

 

                “Fine just fine honey, how about you and what’s with the box?”

 

It takes everything for my jaw not to hit the ground.  Is she actually kidding me!  I have lost my home and my family and she’s behaving like she’s asking about the weather!

 

The bell dings and there is the man of the hour, covered in sweat and looking gorgeous, I smile at him and quickly gather the box up.

 

                “Ben, I am so sorry for the mix up with the boxes, here’s the one you should have got.”

 

He takes it from me, it’s a start.

 

                “How have you been Michael, I understand you are staying with Drew and Emmett for a little while.”

 

                “Yes, I was finally given shelter…”

 

I hear Carl’s snort from clear across the room.

 

                “Well, I’ve got to go, I need a shower.  Debs I just stopped by after my run with Steve to say he and Taylor will be coming to dinner too.”

 

On hearing that Carl gets up and comes over.

 

                “Honey that’s 14 people, there is no way your kitchen can take that capacity and I am not having you run round like a loon trying to cook for them.  Look Red, how about you call Brian and ask if you can hold it at Britin instead, I am sure they won’t mind.”

 

She winces and then nods in agreement.

 

                “Wait how do you make that 14?”

 

                “I have included your son who had better be on his best behaviour.”

 

She flings her arms round him and kisses him soundly.

 

                “Thank you and he will be.  Won’t you!”  It was more of a command than a question.

 

I am not sure what is happening at the weekend but if it means that Ben and I are in the same room then fine I will be there.  He nods curtly at me and heads off.

 

                “Come on honey, sit, tell me what’s been happening and again what was with the box?”

 

Before I could begin her phone rings.

 

                “Hey Sun…oh I see he beat me to it did he?  Thank you and thank Alice for me too!”

 

                “Nice phone.”  I comment.

 

                “Yeah Carl got it for me, dropped my other one in the fryer by accident!”  She cackles at the memory.

 

She tucks it away and takes my hands.

 

                “So…”

 

                “Deb order up!” 

 

                “One minute…”  She says to me and quickly grabs the plates before having a word with Kiki, who glowers at me but nods.

 

                “Right I am all yours.”

 

                “Well, the box is a surprise for Ben, it’s some treats that I meant to give him on our anniversary but I forgot…”

 

                “You forgot your anniversary?”

 

                “Anyway, I am working on a plan that gets my family back together.”

 

                “Jenny still not talking to you?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Look, whatever this plan of yours is forget it.  You will go for convoluted when simple is best, apologise, own your fuck ups, yes ups for there have been many, and stick to your promise to change.  Now I have to get back to my shift, I guess you will be coming with Emmett and Drew, okay, see you honey.”

 

And with that I lose my mother to the depths of the kitchen.

 

THE LOFT – FRIDAY

 

HUNTER

 

I am pacing a bit, I need to talk to Matt and I am not sure how he’s going to take it.  The buzzer goes and I let him up he greets me with a head clearing kiss.

 

                “Matt, um we need to talk.”

 

He looks warily at me and sits down gesturing that I adopt my usual position; I shake my head I need to see his face when I say this.

 

                “What?”

 

                “About my HIV and how I got it.”

 

                “Okay.”

 

                “I was, I was a…”

 

                “Hustler?”

 

I stare at his dumbstruck.

 

                “How the fuck did you know about that?  Did you have me investigated?”

 

                “Of course not!  Do you remember our first call?”

 

I nod.

 

                “Well Gus must have been standing there a little longer than you thought and I am not stupid and after what your dad tried to do I kinda figured it out, well not quite I had a few options.  Hustler, former drug addict or the other worse -case scenario…”

 

                “What other worse-case scenario?”

 

                “Um…rape victim.”

 

I sink into the sofa and just stare at him.

 

                “Say something.”  He whispers taking my hand.

 

                “And none of them would’ve bothered you?”

 

                “Nope that is your past but if you want to talk about it and how it relates and affects us…”

 

I scramble into his lap and begin and by the time I finish we are both crying.  I have never cried over what she did to me and how she fucked up my life but finally I can see myself letting it go.

 

BRITIN – SUNDAY MORNING

 

DEBBIE

 

                “Seriously Alice how do you not sleep in this kitchen?” 

 

She chuckles and shrugs.  Then when she hears the soft meow of one of the cats puts on the coffee and then puts some salmon on a plate, I look at her somewhat confused.

 

                “Brian’s on his way.”

 

                “How can you tell?”

 

                “Lilah.”

 

And right on cue here comes her majesty herself, she pauses and looks over her shoulder.

 

                “I’m coming hold your horses.”  He grumbles

 

He scoops her up and nuzzles into her chest and then on seeing me screeches to a halt and blushes furiously.

 

                “Not a word.”

 

I say nothing as he tests the salmon with his finger and then deeming it the right temperature, shreds it and puts her and the plate on the floor.  He grabs two cups of coffee and heads back out without a word but with Lilah hot on his heels.

 

                “I can’t believe what…”

 

                “Yeah not the unmitigated asshole everyone says he is.”  She cocks an eyebrow at me, I have the grace to blush.

 

                “Come on let’s get this cooking show on the road.”

 

For the next couple of hours we cook up a storm and I can’t help chuckling at Brian and Lilah.

 

                “Coooeee!  Where are the other two lovely ladies in my life?”  Emmett hollers

 

                “Kitchen, want bubbles?”  Alice calls out

 

                “Hmm, what do you think?”  He heads for the fridge.

 

                “Glasses are already chilling.”

 

                “I have taught you well!” 

 

                “What time is everyone else getting here?”  Brian drawls.  “Problem Emmy Lou?”

 

Emmett is standing there mouth agape looking at Brian who has Lilah round his neck.

 

                “What she’s a living scarf; so what time?”

 

                “About two, I think Faal, Zee and Matt are getting here earlier, wait where’s Michael?”

 

There is a silence and Emmett looks at the floor.

 

                “Well I thought it best that he took his own car so he’s gone to the store first.”

 

                “In other words, he’s pissed Drew off.”  Justin calls out from the hallway

 

                “Yeah that.”

 

I huff and shake my head, he can’t just do one fucking thing right!

 

The other members of our family arrive and drinks are poured, smoked – Brian sure likes that smoker gun – and Emmett’s nibbles consumed, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Michael doesn’t fuck things up further.

 

DREW

 

I am waiting for Ben to show up I seriously need to talk to him!

 

                “Hi Ben, a word.”

 

                “Hi Drew how…”

 

                “As a practising Buddhist how the hell can you do that to your fellow man, namely me?  Look I know you love the guy but you are having issues…”

 

                “Ah, Michael…”

 

I nod and he indicates that we should take it outside, by the time we come back everyone else but Zee has arrived and then I notice Hunter.

 

                “Is something different about Hunter?”  I ask Ben

 

                “You noticed it too?  I don’t know he seems a lot more relaxed maybe?”  Ted asks.

 

                “My son has a great muscle relaxant.”  Faal murmurs.

 

                “Dad!”  Matt hollers

 

                “Oops, time for damage control I think!”

 

We all exchange looks.

 

                “You think they’ve done it?”  Ted questions.

 

Blake comes to join us with some ginger ale for Ted.

 

                “Who have done what?”

 

                “Hunter and Matt have done the deed.”  I explain

 

                “No, that’s not it, it’s not sex.  It’s understanding, he’s told him.”  Ben explains

 

                “You mean everything?”  Ted asks incredulous

 

                “Yep.” 

 

We all turn to look at them, they really do look happy…and then look away swiftly as they start to make out.

 

                “Take it upstairs boys!”  Brian calls out, smirking as they swiftly depart.

 

MATT

 

                “Well that wasn’t embarrassing!”

 

                “The longer you stick around Brian the more you get used to him.”  Hunter chuckles leading me upstairs to his room.

 

I can’t help but admire the view, the flash of skin just above his pants is just begging to be touched.

 

                “Dude, will you quit staring at my ass.”

 

                “But is such a nice butt.”  I nuzzle his ear and back him onto the bed.

 

I kiss him gently before going back to that spot on his neck and sigh.  He’s doing the hand thing again…sometimes when we are making out and he gets a little overheated, he struggles to put his hands where he wants to, so once again I grab them and put them firmly on my butt and go back to kissing him.

 

FAAL

 

Brian and I exchange looks and then wink at each other.

 

                “Give then 20 minutes and then go pry them apart.”  Debbie snickers.

 

I nod and smile, then look at my watch, where is Zee?

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe Drew getting so bent out of shape about the wine, how was I supposed to know how expensive it was!  I am let into the house after leaning on the bell for a good 10 minutes, turns out they were admiring Boy Wonder’s latest offerings.  I know I said I wouldn’t say it to his face I never said I couldn’t think it.

 

We all head back to the lounge and Steve and Taylor have arrived, she immediately runs to Ben and he scoops her up, she clings to him like a limpet…again.

 

I see Hunter coming into the room and head his direction; Matt takes his hand and whispers something, nods and then leaves to join his father.

 

                “How are you Hunter?”

 

                “Okay.”

 

                “I’m fine.”

 

                “Good for you.  Excuse me.”  And with that he leaves me standing there alone.

 

I watch as he joins Ben and Taylor.  He says something to her and her eyes light up and after Ben puts her down and she takes Hunter’s hand he leads her out with Matt following behind.

 

                “What was that about?”  I sidle up to Ben and ask

 

                “Oh he’s going to introduce her to Claudia and the rest of the family.”

 

                “Claudia?”

 

                “Brian and Justin’s cats.”

 

                “You mean Justin’s cats.”

 

Ben sighs heavily, shakes his head and goes to join Steve in helping Hunter extricate one of the cats from Taylor’s firm grasp.

 

                “Hi Mikey.”

 

I turn to my best friend and smile then frown when I am looking into blue eyes at his shoulder.

 

                “She’s his living scarf, otherwise known as Lilah.”  Justin explains curling himself round his waist.

 

                “Um okay, so how have you been?”

 

                “Great just great, you?  Saw you talking to Ben and Hunter any closer to a reconciliation?”  He asks

 

I am distracted my answer by Lilah sitting up and fixing me with an unwavering stare, she yawns hugely and then using Justin as a stepping stone gets down and after stretching against Brian’s leg is gone.

 

                “I am working on it.” 

 

                “What’s to work on?”  Justin asks.

 

                “Just say sorry Michael, get on your knees if you have to.”  Brian sighs.

 

                “Okay foods up!”  Alice calls out effectively ending the conversation

 

                “She is spending way too much time with Debbie.”  Justin giggles

 

                “Huh…”  I make a mental note to speak to ma.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “You know, maybe you shouldn’t have embarrassed Hunter like that, you know what he’s like.”

 

Brian nuzzles my neck and I shiver.

 

                “Yeah but I have done nothing in my life that I am ashamed of so let him try his worst.”

 

I see Hunter smirk and shake his head.

 

                “I think that might be challenge accepted.”

 

Just as we are about to sit down, Faal’s phone rings, the relief across his face is obvious.

 

                “She got held up and is now on her way, sorry guys, she will be another 15 minutes says don’t wait.”

 

                “We can wait…Emmy Lou do you have more canapés to tide us over?”

 

He nods and drags me and Debbie into the kitchen to help.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Emmy Lou?”  I snort

 

                “You have a problem with that Mikey.”  Drew asks

 

I shake my head and remember to keep in mind it is his pool house I am staying in.

 

HUNTER

 

Payback is coming Mr Kinney but not in the way you think, but I can say anything Justin sighs heavily.

 

                “Stop feeding her at the table.”

 

                “I am not feeding her, my hand just happens to be at her level with food in it, that is something completely different.”

 

Of course everyone looks under the table as Lilah takes another bit of salmon, we try not to laugh too much as he shrugs and Justin shakes his head.

 

He heads off to wash his hands with Lilah hot on his heels.

 

                “We’re all family here right so we can speak plainly no judgement?”

 

 

The room goes quiet and slowly people nod.  I take a deep breath.

 

                “So how many of you guys are or have been tops?”

 

                “Hunter!”  Debbie squeals.

 

Hands of Drew, Ben, Ted, Brian, Justin – wait Justin – and Steve…wait Justin and Steve – and Matt go up.

 

“So of those of you that are tops how many have bottomed?”

 

                “Hunter that is none of your business, but I know for a fact that neither Brian nor Ben has never bottomed”

 

                “Why are you asking Hunter?”  Dad asks gently.

 

I look at my plate, hoping that Matt doesn’t hate me, I know this is not the right way to do it.

 

                “How did you know which one you were?  I mean I have only…”  I trail off

 

                “Practice, you figure out what you are most comfortable with and go from there, some are comfortable with both and some just want one way.”  Dad smiles at me and then Matt

 

I nod and shoot a quick look at Matt, he smiles and winks, leaning into me

 

                “We’ll figure it out.”  And gives my thigh a squeeze, I let out the breath I was holding.

 

                “Can we please move on from this!”  Michael snaps.

 

                “Mikey, what do you mean I have never bottomed, of course I have!”   Brian retorts.

 

                “When you first started having sex yes, but not recently.”  He replies.

 

                “Thanksgiving and we have you to thank for that.”  Justin raises a glass.

 

                “And so have I.”  Dad admitted

 

“Way to go Baby!  Oh wait, was that when he…”

 

“Emmett!”  Justin squeaks

 

“So much for not sharing hmmm?”  Brian teases him and he blushes furiously as Emmett mouths his apologies.

 

                “Wait, who have you bottomed for?”  I ask dad

 

He is looking slightly uncomfortable.

 

                “It was just once, well twice, and a long time ago, over 12 years ago.  Michael’s right let’s move on from here”

 

It was quick but there was a look exchanged between Brian and Ben.

 

                “No way, no fucking way…you have got to be kidding?!  You two!  And you don’t mind?!”  I am incredulous.

 

Justin shrugged and smiled, everyone gasped.

 

                “It was before me…”

 

MICHAEL

 

                “What?  Brian…you bottomed for Brian?”  I gasp at Ben.

 

                “Michael, like Justin said and I said at the time you found out that it was before you…”

 

                “So who was the other person?”

 

                “There was no other person.”

 

When the realisation hits me I am furious, twice he slept with him twice.

 

                “I thought you said no repeats.”  I mutter

 

Suddenly the room feels too warm, I get up and grab my coat and head out to the car, thankful that I drove, I pass Zee on the way out.

 

                “Hey where you going…”

 

                “Somewhere where traitors aren’t!”  I snap

 

ZEE

 

I head straight to the lounge and am immediately engulfed by Faal’s arms.

 

                “What did I miss?  What got Michael’s pants in a bunch?  And please can I have a very large drink?”

 

                “In reverse order…here, Ben and Brian slept together twice but before they met Justin and Michael and Michael just found out and Hunter in a roundabout fashion told Matt that he’s ready for sex.”

 

I take a large swig and sigh.

 

                “I always miss the good stuff.”

 

                “Right food’s being served now.  Brian she will explode if you give her anymore salmon, come wash your hands again!”

 

A chuckling Brian follows her out and I wrap my arms round Faal, he strokes my back.

 

                “I was worried.”  He whispers

 

I squeeze him tightly and go and help Deb and Alice.

 

                “So Zee, what was it that kept you, Faal said you were having works done on the house?”  Carl asks.

 

                “Yeah that was the easy part, the delay was caused by spotting an odious fucktard and having to make a few phone calls.”

 

                “Can we narrow the odious and fucktard down?”  Faal asks

 

                “Dr David Cameron.”

 

Faal coughs into his drink.

 

                “I thought he was in Portland.  Did he see you, approach you?”

 

                “Slow your roll, yes we saw each other but no he didn’t approach.  He’s arrogant but not stupid.” 

 

I stroke his face to calm him down, he really hates the guy.

 

                “Is he a chiropractor by any chance?” Emmett asks.

 

                “Despite my best efforts, yes he is, why?”

 

                “He used to live in the Pitts and Michael used to date him, he even moved to Portland to be with him but that didn’t work out.”  He explains

 

                “Despite your best efforts?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Huh?”  I ask as I was distracted by fighting Faal for the last rib.

 

                “You said despite your best efforts.”

 

                “Sadly I am bound the laws of confidentiality, but…”

 

                “Faal could you explain?”  Brian drawls.

 

                “Gladly.  As well as looking after the physical body we also do investigative work for the financial services industry, and by we I mean Zee, since she no longer is on the beat as it were.  And we got a red flag report about some suspicious looking stock movement and it turns out…”

 

                “Seriously this is not Hansel and Gretel get to the point”

 

                “Who is telling this you or me?  So she investigated and it was insider trading but the hearing didn’t agree that it was deliberate but did agree that he showed a serious lapse in judgement so banned him from trading for 10 years, he can do nothing with stocks, shares or even open a bank account with more than $5K without notifying the authorities until 2022.  Wait what were the calls for?”

 

                “A hunch.  Now let’s leave this subject alone and enjoy the rest of our day.”  I reply.

 

The rest of the day was indeed spent enjoyably.  And the next day.  Especially for Hunter and Matt but that is a whole other chapter…

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

As you can most probably tell by the title Hunter and Matt's relationship progresses, if this is not your thing then don't read the last bit in the loft.

CHAPTER 10 – LEARNING FROM THE STUD

 

BRITIN – NEXT DAY

 

BRIAN

 

                “I cannot be the only one thinking that Michael was over reacting to…”

 

                “When doesn’t he over react?”

 

Saying that he goes back to feeding the cats, having taken care of me earlier, naturally there was reciprocation in the shower.

 

                “Lilah down.”  I murmur.

 

She nuzzles my ear and pads towards her bowl, sticking her nose in, she then looks to me and mewls.

 

                “Salmon’s too cold.”  I answer at his arched brow.

 

                “No you don’t spoil her or play favourites at all…”  He grumbles picking up the bowl and sticking it in the microwave for 10 seconds.

 

                “Nope I don’t she has standards and expects them to be lived up to.  It’s not my fault that the others like the less refined life…”

 

The rest of my words are swallowed into Justin’s honeyed mouth, he slides across my lap and buries his fingers in my hair, tilting my head to the side and deepening the kiss.  I feel him unbuttoning my shirt and then the coldness his abandonment, I was all for pouting when he returns with a paintbrush.  Pushing the shirt of my shoulders he gently brushes and blows away any hair he can see that is not mine, I try not to whimper.

 

                “Much better, now where was I?”  He purrs.

 

We lock lips again and slowly he grinds his hips.  I slip my hands under his shirt and stroke his creamy skin and pull his shirt over his head.  Before I can go any further my phone rings.

 

                “If that’s Michael I shall go round and shove that phone up his…”

 

                “It’s Hunter.”

 

We exchange confused looks as I answer, Justin leans in so he can hear too.

 

                “Uh hi Brian, um…”

 

                “Hey Hunter everything okay?”

 

                “I just wondered if you were um mad about yesterday…”

 

                “Of course not.”

 

The silence stretches on.

 

                “Was there something else?”  I ask.

 

We hear him inhale and Justin’s eyes widen and he grins.

 

                “Uh Hunter can you hold on a second?”

 

                “What?”  I demand.

 

                “I think he’s trying to ask for some um tips.”

 

                “Tips what are you…oh fuck no, surely not!”

 

He smirks

 

                “I’m just messing with you.”

 

                “Not funny twat!”

 

                “Sorry about that, what else can I do for you?” 

 

                “I need some advice and I can’t ask dad...and well…”

 

We are both stunned into stillness, we both know how difficult this must be for him.

 

                “I can be at the loft for two is that okay?”

 

                “Thanks.”  He whispers and hangs up.

 

                “Wow.”  Justin breathes

 

I bring our foreheads together and sigh.

 

                “Okay tell me what to say.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe this Ben and Brian slept together twice, fucking twice.  I don’t care that it was at the White Party that is unacceptable, they lied to me and if he thinks I haven’t noticed how him and Steve are cosying up well he’s wrong!

 

HUNTER

 

I have just hung up on Matt having reconfirmed date night, here and he’s packing a bag, I am not freaking out too much, oh who the fuck am I kidding I am shitting bricks over this, I wish Brian would get here quickly…and there’s the buzzer.

 

                “Hey how you doing?”  He asks helping himself to a beam I wish I had thought to do that.

 

                “Um fine, just fine.  Uh have a seat won’t you?”

 

He cocks an eyebrow but does settle down at the island and looks at me.

 

                “How about I start?”

 

I nod.

 

                “Am assuming you want to know how the ultimate top can bottom?”

 

I nod.

 

                “Simple.  Justin pushes that button for me and only Justin.”

 

I let out a low whistle of admiration…go blondie!

 

                “Have you been shown, um consideration before?”

 

I nod.

 

                “So what’s the problem?”

 

                “Matt’s a top and he’ll want to…and that might remind me of…”

 

                “Ah I understand.  So bottom from the top.”

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “Grab a glass and let me explain.”

 

For the next hour I sit there and listen in amazement and know that I made the right decision in asking Brian.

 

As he leaves he turns to me.

 

                “The most important thing, you need to know is that you don’t have to do anything, Matt will wait, I see that.  Have a good evening, whatever you do.”

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

FAAL

 

                “Have you got everything?  Condoms, lube, wine and what else am I missing?”

 

I come to a halt to see Zee and Matt looking at me in bewilderment.

 

                “What?”  I ask

 

                “You want to hold his hand…”  She drawls sarcastically

 

I huff out a breath and scowl.

 

                “I just want it to be perfect for them…”

 

                “It will be what it will be without your help or advice.  Matt, go enjoy yourself and call us when you reach.”

 

Matt shakes his head and leaves.  She pulls me into her arms and cuffs me gently on the chin.

 

                “He’s had relationships before that had more baggage than this and I have never seen him so happy, so leave it be sweetheart.”

 

I close my eyes and sigh.  Pulling her close I nod and hope for the best.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian is just pulling up and he doesn’t look too traumatised. 

 

                “How’d it go?”

 

                “Why don’t I show you what I told him?”  He sweeps me into a soul shattering kiss.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been trying Ben for the last hour or so and it keeps rolling to voicemail, I bet he’s fucking Steve.  Isn’t it funny how Taylor never responds to anyone but him!  Yeah right, how could I have been so stupid and to think I wanted to make a go of this, no wonder he kicked me out so soon.  Wait is that David?!

 

THE LOFT

 

HUNTER

 

I check the chicken, luckily grandma sorted out the food for me as I am just too nervous.  He should be here soon.  I almost leap 10 feet in the air when the buzzer went.

 

                “Hi.”

 

                “Hi.” 

 

He puts his bag down and pulls me into his arms.

 

                “To quote T.I. we can do whatever you like…”

 

I smile and loop my arms round his neck and for the next few minutes we just kiss and I can feel myself relaxing.

 

                “I bought wine, both red and white, which would you prefer?”

 

                “Um white first and then we can have the red later.”

 

                “Why Hunter are you trying to get me drunk?”  He smiles and nuzzles my neck.

 

                “Maybe.”  I chuckle.

 

                “Oh I also bought the Wii, I’ll set it up whilst you play Simon Homemaker…ouch!”

 

I swat him on the back of the head and leave him to set up and within half an hour we are slugging it out on a boxing game. 

 

                “Okay appetite worked up where’s the food?”  He demands wiping his brow dramatically.

 

I plate up and we eat at the island.  I keep stealing glances at him to gauge his mood.

 

                “Please relax.”  He murmurs as he leans across and kisses me.

 

                “Okay, sorry it’s just…”

 

                “I know just relax, it will be what we want it to be okay?”

 

We put the dishes away and the remains of the chicken in the fridge.  He opens the red and we sit back on the sofa. 

 

                “Want to watch a movie?”

 

I shake my head

 

                “Want to make out?”

 

I nod and slide into his arms.  His mouth is so soft and warm and fits me just right.  I feel one hand sliding up my shirt and the other sliding into my pants.  I dig my fingers into his hair and kiss him deeper, he takes his hand out of my pants and I whimper, much to my surprise.

 

                “Um need to make some room.”  He mumbles and adjusts his cock.

 

We lock eyes and I flick a glance at the bedroom.

 

                “You sure?”

 

I nod and get up, he takes my hand and leads me in.  Gently and quietly we undress each other kissing the skin that becomes visible.

 

                “Mmm, that feels, feels good.”  He moans as I brush his nipple

 

He rolls me over on my back and kisses a trail to my bellybutton, then licks and sucks at my abdomen.

 

                “Oh, so nice!”

 

He chuckles and looks up.

 

                “Nice, I was aiming for hot.”

 

I grin at him and swat him on the head.

 

                “Keep going doofus.”

 

                “Now how is that romantic?”  He asks before nuzzling my cock through my boxers

 

                “Oh, oh my!”

 

He’s stroking my thighs and nuzzling and I am grabbing the sheets as it feels so good!

 

                “Stop, stop wait please!”  I gasp bucking my hips

 

                “What’s wrong, too fast?”  He looks worried.

 

                “Want, want to touch you too.”  I pant and tug him up to kiss me.

 

We explore each other’s bodies giggling like school girls when we hit a good spot on each other.

 

                “Matt, I’m ready.”  I murmur.

 

Turning over he sets me astride him and rolls a condom on himself and on me…I shiver at that.  Gently he applies lube between my cheeks and then on himself and then lifts me up a bit so that I am hovering above his throbbing cock.

 

                “Oh God!”  I whimper as I slide down

 

                “So hot, you feel so hot!”  He cries out.

 

Leaning forward I start to move and the room is filled with the sound of our skin, our cries and our pants.

 

                “Ah!  Ah!  Ah!”  I scream as I start to crest.

 

                “Ho-hold still let me, please let me!” 

 

He holds my hips and thrusts up and then my world explodes

 

                “Matt, oh God Matt!”

 

                “Hunter!”

 

I collapse on his chest as we both shudder out our orgasms, I open my eyes about 10 minutes later to see him starting down at me in amusement.  He has cleaned us up and covered us with the duvet.

 

                “I passed out?”

 

He nods and brushes his fingers against my lips.

 

                “Yep I am that good.”  He grins

 

I swat him on the arm and bite my lip.

 

                “If it helps, I love you.”  He whispers against my lips.

 

                “I love you too.”

 

We turn on our sides and go to sleep wrapped round each other.

 

 

 

End Notes:

I hope I did justice to their first time and it wasn't too graphic

Chapter 11 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 11 – THINGS COME HOME TO ROOST…

 

THE LOFT

 

MATT

 

He really is the most adorable man, he would be more adorable if he wasn’t currently drooling on my chest. 

 

                “Hunter, Hunter your phone is ringing.”  I stop gently nudging and start firmly shoving.

 

                “Grmufph.”  He mumbles

 

Flailing his arm he finally connects with his phone.

 

                “Mmm?  Oh hey, yeah, we were.  Oh.  Okay then.  Bye.”

 

He snuggles back into my chest and sighs.

 

                “Uh Hunter…”

 

                “We’re excused from family time.”

 

                “We are?  Why?”

 

He shrugs and wraps an arm round me.

 

                “Just appreciate the lie in and go back to sleep.”  He mumbles

 

                “Shame, I was hoping to take advantage of that rather big shower…”

 

His eyes pop open and he grins.

 

                “Race you.”

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

I smile and make my next call to Toronto; after I hang up from that I look into my other favourite pair of blue eyes.

 

                “If anyone asks this was your idea.” 

 

I ruffle her behind her ears and head back to the bedroom.  Justin’s head is under the pillow, he’s on his stomach and has his perfect ass naked as the day he was born.  As I approach the bed he slowly starts to sway said perfect ass.  And who am I to miss such a sweet opportunity.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I am still steaming about not being able to speak to Ben, I am going to confront him about him and Steve very soon, how could I not see it! 

 

                “Hello Michael.”  A familiar voice washes over me

 

                “David!  I thought I saw you yesterday but wasn’t sure!  How are you?  What are you doing here, come to tell me how my investments are doing personally?  How’s Hank?” 

 

I release him from my arms and step back to admire the view, he is looking good.   He smiles back at me.

 

                “I was visiting some friends and thought I would drop by.  Your investments are doing wonderfully, how’s Ben and Hunter?”

 

My face drops and I sigh.

 

                “Michael what is it, what’s wrong?”

 

                “Ben was and I suspect still is having an affair.  He used me being “mean” to Hunter to get me out of the house, I wonder how long it will be before he moves his stud-muffin in.”

 

                “Okay you need to back up, close the store and we’ll get some lunch and you can tell me all about it.”

 

I nod and we head out.

 

As they walk down the street towards neither of them notice the pairs of eyes that watch them, a phone rings.

 

                “He’s still in town but so far has made no effort to get near her.”

 

                “Anything and I mean anything happens to her, you answer to me, do you understand?”

 

                “Hey, we’ve got this nothing is going to happen to her.  Nothing.  Now go enjoy your day.”

 

FAAL

 

                “Come on my lig, we have to go to Brian and Justin’s soon.”

 

I watch and she trots down the stairs.

 

                “You heard from Matt?” 

 

She shakes her head and grabs the keys.

 

                “Let’s go.”

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

I shake my head as Brian pretends not to be playing with Lilah.

 

                “Give it up Kinney, she and I are onto you.”

 

He rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue in his cheek.

 

                “Why her?  Why not one of the others?” 

 

He smiles and pulls me into his arms, Lilah makes a small mew of protest.

 

“She’s the littlest but strongest one, she’s got beautiful blue eyes and doesn’t judge me…she reminds me of someone.”

 

                “Who?”  I look confused

 

                “You.”

 

He lifts up my hair and kisses the middle of my neck, I feel it all the way down to my toes and let out a little squeak, he alternates between kissing and sucking and I grip the counter.

 

                “Oh I seem to have found another hot spot…”  He murmurs

 

                “Mmm.”

 

We are stopped from going further by the door bell ringing.  Lilah waits patiently for us to untangle before assuming her position as his living scarf and he heads to open the door.

 

Pretty soon everyone is here and the room buzzes with conversation.

 

                “Wait, where are the boys?”  Carl asks looking round

 

                “I gave them a pass for today.”  Brian drawls

 

                “What why?  Do you think they would be too tired after their first night?”  Deb cackles

 

                “And this is why I gave them a pass.”  Brian smirks

 

Everyone laughs and then there is a contemplative silence.

 

                “Ah, the intensity of the first flush of lust, it is nice no?”  Faal smiles stroking Zee’s neck.

 

                “It’s not just lust, I really think they might...”  Ben murmurs and we all nod.

 

                “Ooohh I know, I know, let’s play a game!”  Emmett cries.

 

We all groan but know we will indulge Auntie Em.

 

                “What?”

 

                “The most…as in what’s the most romantic thing your partner has ever done for you?”

 

                “For the benefit of Brian, define romantic.”  Steve suggests.

 

                “Huh oh right.  Nothing to do with sex.”  Emmett flashes a grin.  “Okay who wants to start?”

 

                “Me.  But it does have to do with sex.  My girlfriend carrying Taylor and letting me keeping her after we split.”

 

                “Seriously, I think you are the only bisexual top I know.”  Ted chuckles

 

He snorts and shrugs.

 

                “Ted, since you spoke, your turn.”  Emmett orders.

 

                “Makes me waffles when I am sick.”

 

                “Ted, well he, does me a lunch every Friday.”

 

                “Sweet.  Okay, Carl.  And we swing round until we end with Zee and Faal.  So Carl.”

 

                “Red let me move in.”

 

                “He married me.”

 

                “I’m going to skip this one.”  Ben mumbles

 

                “Oh, okay, sorry Ben I didn’t.”  Emmett is blushing

 

                “Drew what’s the most romantic thing Emmett has done for you?”  Ben wants to move this along.

 

                “Let me be 21.”

 

                “Drew lets my flame burn bright.”

 

We chuckle as if anyone could stop that.

 

                “Justin let me defend him first.”

 

                “Brian puts me second now.”

 

They all look at me in confusion.

 

                “Wait how the hell can you be happy with being second in your partner’s life?”  Deb demands

 

                “Because Gus is first.”  I reply

 

She nods with understanding and smiles at Brian like a proud mum.

 

                “Faal learnt sign language.”

 

                “She took a bullet for me.”

 

There is a stunned silence as we all turn to look at them.

 

                “A bullet and what’s this about sign language?”  Emmett all but shrieks.

 

                “His gun jammed and I got between it and him through and through right shoulder.”  She explains like it is nothing at all.   “And Matt’s deaf and it showed commitment for him to…”

 

                “Matt’s deaf?”  Brian asks stunned.

 

                “Well he’s not totally deaf he has about 70% hearing.  It’s a genetic thing, I was born deaf but taking a header down the stairs aged 4 sorted that out.  It was one of the reasons me and his dad split.”

 

She takes a gulp of wine and continues.

 

                “He’s an alpha male and wanted the perfect son.  When he found out there was an operation that could fix his hearing he was insistent on Matt having it.  The success rate wasn’t great and there was an 80% chance that his hearing would come back as he grew up but he wasn’t prepared to wait so I said either wait or leave…he left.”

 

                “Does Hunter know?”  Ben asks.

 

Faal nods.

 

                “He is very honest my boy and told him at the BBQ, his friends help a lot, when they are out but if it is somewhere like a nightclub or somewhere very noisy, he wears his aids.”

 

                “Oh my God, I have just realised he can lip read.”  Ted gasps

 

                “We all can.  I sometimes forget.”  Faal smiles.

 

We all burst out laughing.

 

                “Does his dad see him?”  Deb asks.

 

Zee grimaces.

 

                “No, not anymore.  He decided to be a dad when Faal and I started to date saying that culturally a white South African would have no concept of bringing up a Black child.  When I pointed out a Black American who couldn’t be bothered to learn sign language and hadn’t seen his kid in 3 years was in no position to talk and that all Faal sees is a kid, he left us alone.”

 

                “Wow.”  I murmur.

 

                “Yeah not everything is as it seems.”  Brian whispers into my ear.

 

We are all quiet for a while and are startled by the ringing of Zee’s phone, she heads out of the room to take the call. 

 

When she returns she looks a little confused and a lot smug!

 

COFFEE SHOP

 

DAVID

 

I had forgotten how much Michael can whine!  His voice is like a drill bit through rock.  But it would seem that there is trouble in paradise big trouble, I suspect Brian’s influence in him marrying Ben but that seems to be at an end, I shall be a good comforting friend to him now.

 

                “You’re right you should confront him you know.”  I say taking his hand and patting it.

 

He nods and squeezes my hand back.

 

                “I think it is your time to be happy, you seem to have invested an awful lot in your marriage to Ben for scant reward.  And as for Hunter, well.  Do you, do you think you will get a divorce?”

 

I can virtually hear the wheels turning…jeez get there faster!

 

                “Yeah you are right, so right David as usual.  But let’s forget about that for now.  Tell me what you have been up to.  And you never said how Hank was doing.”

 

I proceed to tell him about my glorious life in Portland.

 

BRITIN

 

AFTER LUNCH - LOUNGE

 

FAAL

 

                “Come on out with it.” 

 

Everyone turns to look at me.

 

                “What?”  Brian asks confused.

 

                “Sorry, I mean Zee, out with it, I know that look.”

 

She leans back in her chair and grins at me and shakes her head, she had purposely sat away from me so I couldn’t touch her into talking…my little minx, oh well time to bring in reinforcements.

 

                “Out with what?  What’s going on?”  Debs demands.

 

                “She knows something and is not telling and I don’t think that’s fair, after all I tell her everything.” 

 

I bat my eyes at Debs and hear Zee’s indignant snort.

 

                “Oh please like fuck do you!”  She gripes.  “Not telling so give it up.”

 

She sets her jaw and looks away, then winks at me.

 

                “Oh come on my lig just give me a clue, you can tell me the rest later, just cool my fire down a little.”  I wheedle.

 

                “As long as you remain calm and I mean calm.  It bugged me so I made some calls.”

 

                “Cameron?”  I snap standing up quickly.

 

                “Calm, how is that calm?”  She retorts.

 

                “You are my, everything, the man threatens to kill you and you are acting…”

 

                “What!”  Deb shrieks

 

                “It was 2 years ago after I did the investigation and he was angry at being caught and thought he was dealing with just a number cruncher and could intimidate me.   I disabused him of that notion very quickly okay admittedly along with the help of my four rather large brothers and he’s done nothing since and nor does he have the capacity to do anything now…like I said he’s not stupid but he’s here for something.”

 

I pull her into my arms and kiss her forehead.

 

                “If anything…”

 

                “It won’t.  Come on my geliefde, please, please.  Call them off me, keep them on him if it helps you feel better but call them off me please?”

 

                “Okay.  My geliefde, now that I haven’t heard in a while.  Be right back.”

 

I make the calls and am surprised to fine Justin right behind me.

 

                “Can I talk to you?”

 

I nod and follow him to the study.

 

                “You can wear them if you want, here I mean.”  He looks at me with tears in his eyes.

 

Before I could speak Brian comes in and takes him into his arms.

 

                “I’m okay Brian honest, I was just saying that they can have their guns here if they want, you love her so much and I took away…shit why do I cry every fucking time!”  He wipes his face.

 

Brian hugs him tightly and I head to the door.

 

                “Thank you Justin.”  I say and go back to the lounge.

 

                “Everything okay, where’d Brian and Justin go…ooh surely not?”  Ted asks.

 

                “No not this time I think.”

 

And sure enough they come back within 5 minutes and retake their seats.

 

                “What was that word you said…gef something?”  Emmett asks

 

                “Geliefde, it means beloved.”  I reply.

 

                “Oh, that’s just…”  He turns his head into Drew’s shoulder.

 

                “Brandy anyone.”  Ben heads to the cart.

 

The brandies are handed round and she raises an eyebrow at Brian.

 

                “What?”  He asks.

 

                “Is this cherry smoke?” 

 

He nods and raises his glass to her.

 

                “It’s someone’s favourite.  When he has a cold it helps apparently.”

 

Justin grins his sunshine smile.

 

                “Capacity?”  Ted questions.

 

                “Huh?”  I ask

 

                “Zee you said he doesn’t have the capacity to do anything to you.”

 

Her version of the sunshine smile creases her face.

 

                “Oh yeah, it would seem that folks didn’t take too kindly to him threatening me and his licence was suspended for six months but he couldn’t get it back and his practice closed down.”

 

There are cheers and cries of ain’t karma a bitch.

 

                “Doesn’t explain the $50K though, that came out of nowhere.”  She frowns

 

                “You have been busy.”  I tease her

 

She shrugs and then nods.

 

                “Gonna look into a bit more but it might explain why he is here.”

 

                “What do you mean?”  Blake asks.

 

                “The money came from Pittsburgh.  Am going to trail it back to see who it was and give them a heads up.  Discreetly of course.”

 

                “No more talk about odious fucktards, how about another game of…”

 

                “Emmett…”  Drew warns

 

                “Okay maybe not.”

 

Over the next few days David and Michael spend more time together.  There was no drama, no problems until of course Michael heads to the diner for breakfast during the week.

 

DINER

 

BEN

 

                “I cannot believe how hard you pushed me today, I am going to ache all over.”

 

Steve nudges me good naturedly.

 

                “You can take it big guy.” 

 

We head to one of the booths and decide to go over our next week’s sessions. 

 

                “Scheduling your next fuck fest?” 

 

                “Michael!  What…”

 

                “I cannot believe how you both played me!  How long has it been going on, well you aren’t getting away with this.  Ben get this, I want the money from my half the house you guys can fuck somewhere else!” 

 

He folds his arms across his chest and glowers at us.

 

                “Ignoring the crap at the beginning of your rant, you can’t have half the house Michael it is in my name and you didn’t contribute to it, were supposed to but didn’t.” 

 

I state a lot calmer than I was feeling

 

                “I put my money towards the store remember!”

 

                “Which I helped you with too, so by rights I should ask for half your store shouldn’t I?”

 

He opens his mouth but then turns to Steve.

 

                “How could you fuck my husband behind my back or did you and Justin conspire to ruin my marriage?”

 

Steve stands and I am pray he doesn’t hit him.

 

                “No Michael you did that all by yourself and I have not fucked your husband, he’s my friend and I don’t fuck friends…”

 

                “Where have I heard that before?!”  He snaps

 

                “Oh for fuck sake Michael!  It was over 10 years ago at the White Party, what else did you think I was there for?!”  I roar into his surprised face.

 

                “Uh guys…”  Steve begins

 

                “You have a fucking nerve after behaving the way you did last time!  I have had to accept being 3rd in our marriage because first came your comic hero Captain Fucking Astro and then your sex hero Brian and then me and after what happened in the hospital I am putting myself and Hunter first!”

 

                “What are you talking about nothing happened in the hospital?  Oh do you mean Justin playing kissy face with you right in front of me!”

 

                “Seriously guys…”  Steve tries again but I have had enough.

 

                “Oh its Justin I am having an affair with now is it?!  You know Michael just because people are in a coma it doesn’t mean that they can’t hear!  I heard Hunter beg you to speak to the doctor about me but you wouldn’t listen to him and then what you said to Jenny…”

 

                “What did I say to Jenny?”  He is starting to back away now.

 

                “Don’t worry honey you and I are going to be just fine.  Ringing any bells.  I can just about understand you planning your life without me but without Hunter, that’s downright fucking cruel!”

 

Michael’s mouth opens and then closes before he turns to leave muttering something before a fist connects and standing over him is a glowering Matt.

 

PITTSBURGH POLICE STATION

 

MICHAEL

 

                “I am going to press assault charges!” 

 

I cannot believe that punk hit me!  I am going to make sure he gets the book thrown at him.

 

The door opens and the thug’s mother and father are here.  Carl is talking to Ma who is for once on my side…well almost.

 

                “I just can’t understand why Matt would hit him!  He doesn’t seem that kind of boy.”

 

                “Can someone tell me what the fuck happened?”  Faal snaps.  “And where is my son?”

 

                “Michael had just finished being reamed out by Ben and was heading out and then out of nowhere Matt hit him.”  Steve explains.

 

                “That doesn’t sound like Matt, what did you do?”  He turns to me.

 

                “Excuse me I am the one with the bruised face and cut lip here, I did nothing!”

 

The door opens again and some guy heads towards Carl.

 

                “Okay, I know this is unorthodox but everyone come with me…let’s see if we can end this without anyone ending with a rap sheet.”

 

                “Oh no he’s not getting away…”

 

                “Shut up Michael!”  Ma snaps.

 

We head to the same room that the thug is in, his dad immediately comforts him and he glowers at me, a flicker of something crosses Zee’s face.

 

                “Take it from the top what happened?”  She is talking to Ben.

 

                “I was shouting at Michael for being an ass as usual and he turns and walks away mumbling something and the next thing he’s on the floor.”

 

                “What did he say sweetheart.”

 

Matt looks away from her and shakes his head.

 

                “Carl is it Konzo who can…”

 

Carl nods and leaves.

 

                “Michael what did you say?”  Ma steps up to me.

 

                “Nothing I didn’t say anything to him!”

 

Carl comes back with some other guy.

 

                “Carl go with him.  Matt just tell write it down please, please pragtige seuntjie1 please do this for me.”

 

He nods and starts to sniffle.  The other guy puts on a DVD and it’s from the diner, it shows the row between Ben and I and then heading to the door before Matt hits me.

 

                “See I didn’t do or say anything to him!”

 

                “Can you write it down too Konzo?”  She asks.

 

The guy looks at me and nods, then proceeds to write.

 

                “Carl we’re done in here.”

 

Carl comes back with Matt and takes the paper way from Konzo and then looks at me like I am something he has stepped in.

 

                “Carl what is it, what does it say?”  Ben asks.

 

                “You don’t want to know.  Michael if you wish to press charges this interview and these papers will be placed in evidence and there won’t be a court in the land that will convict Matt of anything but defending the man he loves!”

 

Matt is in his father’s arms crying and saying something in a language I don’t understand.

 

                “Hoe kan hy dit se dat sy eie seun sê, hoe?”2

 

                “Ek weet nie, maar ek is so trots op jou, maar volgende keer dalk nie 'n man pons ja.”3

 

                “What the fuck is going on here?”  I demand.

 

                “Konzo can lip read.”  Carl straightens and looks at me.  “Now are you going home to think?”

 

My stomach tightens, but hold my head up high, I storm out just as Hunter comes flying through the station doors. 

 

                “I need to speak to someone about Matt Stark!”  He gasps.

 

I pause to say something, when I feel someone lean over me.

 

                “I can lip read too.”  Faal whispers.

 

                “Michael.”  Ben calls out.  “We’re done, you go way and I’ll go mine.  I want nothing more to do with you.  I will honour the commitments I have made but nothing further, you are on your own.”

 

With that he turns back to Hunter and starts to tell him what happened.

 

Over the next few days the fledgling family is somewhat fractured with Deb still just about siding with Michael and Emmett angering Drew over his refusal to kick Michael out of the pool house in his current injured state. 

 

Brian, of course, comes to the rescue insisting that everyone comes over for the weekend citing the kids being up too.  Eventually after a lot of badgering people agree and start to arrive on the Saturday with the kids immediately escaping upstairs.  Gus and Jenny very keen to get the lowdown of the previous weekend.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

                “Okay look here’s what’s going to happen, just tell us what he said then we can form our own opinions.  I don’t think that Matt will tell Hunter since he hit Michael.  So let’s just get it out in the air, I happen to like my family lunches un-tense.”

 

Lilah thumps him on the side of his face as he jostles her.

 

                “And so does Lilah, so spill.”

 

                “You always put that diseased bastard first anyway.”  Faal sighs.

 

                “No, Michael wouldn’t say such a thing!  I brought him up better than that!”  Deb exclaims

 

                “Deb, honey that’s what he said.”  Carl tells her.

 

                “Oh my God, how could he!”  Jennifer exclaims

 

                “He shoots his mouth off when he’s angry just look at what happened at the anniversary party.”

 

Justin explains also earning a swat from Lilah, she had settled down between the two of them and didn’t appreciate his slight movement.

 

                “Anniversary party?”  Faal asks.

 

                “He said something about Justin I didn’t like so I hit him.”  I reply

 

                “He did?  What did he say?  I know he was making nasty little comments…”  Ted shakes his head.

 

                “He was?”  I am surprised.

 

                “Yes.  How Justin had the nerve to come with Ia...Ethan, but that was before you came.” 

 

All eyes turn to me and I look at Justin, he shrugs and snuggles deeper into my side, stroking Lilah and looking down.

 

                “He said I should’ve left Justin in the parking garage.”

 

The silence is deafening, the first to speak or rather yell is Jennifer.

 

                “And you still worked on Rage with that, that…you still lent him the money after that!” 

 

                “Money what money?”  Blake asks.

 

                “Money to do up his piddling little store…and I hope he’s contributing to your household bills!” 

 

She whirls at Drew and Emmett.

 

                “Why didn’t you say something Brian?”  Ben asks.  “We would’ve…Jesus, I am sorry for my behaviour then.”

 

I shrug and say nothing.

 

                “Me too Brian.”  Emmett sighs

 

                “Brian I don’t…I can’t…what has happened to him?”  Deb is in shock.

 

                “Nothing Deb, nothing has happened to him he’s always been like this!”  Jennifer snaps.  “Debs I am sorry, but I’ve only just…I can’t believe how – no matter I will deal with him and when…”

 

                “Wait.  Michael has money?”  Emmett’s voice is ice cold, even Drew looks surprised.

 

                “Yes, we gave Hunter a college fund and then the remaining $150K was given to Michael to do his store up…”

 

                “He has $150K and is staying in my pool house and contributing nothing!”  Emmett snarls.

 

                “Um Ems, baby you okay?”  Drew looks worried.

 

                “He lied to me!  Nobody but nobody does that!”  Emmett growls

 

He stands up and takes out his phone.

 

                “Hi Francine.  Can you ask Mitchell to remove the belongings of Michael Novotny and then Michael himself?  Thank you sweetie we will see you tomorrow.”

 

He cuddles up next to Drew and smiles but not his usual smile and once again I make a mental note not to cross Emmett.

 

                “So you just gave him $300K, wow…”  Carl murmurs

 

                “No we didn’t give him that, admittedly we gave Hunter $150K for college or whatever but the remaining amount has to be paid back and that goes to Jenny’s college fund…”  I explain.

 

                “How did you come up with that?” 

 

Emmett is now sipping on champagne seemingly returning to his normal self

 

                “I didn’t Justin did.”

 

                “Dad did that for Hunter and me?”  Jenny’s small voice comes from the door

 

We all look at her in surprise and hope she’s not been there too long.

 

                “See I knew he wasn’t all bad I knew it!  I am going to call him now!”

 

She runs upstairs.

 

                “Maybe we should let him stay in the poolhouse until after she speaks to him.”  Drew suggests.  “For Jenny’s sake, just for the weekend.”

 

Emmett sighs and makes the call.

 

                “He’s gone Monday morning without fail.”  He retorts.

 

Drew nods and pulls him into his arms.

 

                “So Mother Taylor how did you know about the money?”  I smirk at her.

 

She blushes and quickly looks away from Debbie.

 

                “Ah so who told you Red?” Carl asks.

 

                “That would be my fault.”  Ben admits guiltily.  “But I told her not to say anything”

 

                “To Michael…and besides she’s my best…”

 

                “Please!  Don’t finish that sentence!”  Ben chuckles.

 

It’s good that he can laugh. 

 

                “So Ted, how are the funds doing.  I want to contribute to Hunter’s as well.”  Ben asks.

 

                “I can let you know on Monday if that’s okay?”

 

                “We will be in that conference most of the day.  Just do it now and get it out the way.  You can use my laptop in the study, I can just unlock it for you.”

 

I lead them to the study and in no time we are looking at a very healthy balance for Hunter, Ben beams and then his face falls when he sees the balance for Jenny’s.

 

                “Are you, are you sure that’s right?”  He whispers his face ashen.

 

                “Yes, it’s doing very well for the amount that’s in there…”

 

                “There should be more in there than that.”  He replies

 

                “What are you talking about?”  I ask

 

                “Well with both of us contributing…”  His voice trails off and he shakes his head.

 

                “I can show you a statement of payments if you’d like?”

 

Wordlessly he nods his head and I have a bad feeling about this.  Ted pulls up the statement and the silence is powerful, I can feel rage radiating off of Ben in waves.

 

                “That…that…whining little, I am going to kill him!”  He growls.  “Great father, he’s a great father!”

 

                “Ben, just calm down for a minute please.” 

 

I haven’t seen him this mad since his roid days.

 

                “Can someone tell me what’s going on?”  Ted looks between us.

 

                “I agreed to pay the same amount as him to Jenny’s fund and he…I can’t believe that he…”

 

                “Stopped paying his share?”  Ted asks.

 

Ben nods and sinks into the chair.

 

                “Well two can play that game!  Ted move!”

 

                “Don’t do anything you will regret, think of Jenny!”  Ted babbles frantically.

 

                “I am thinking of Jenny and that’s the only thing stopping me from stringing him up by his very small balls!” 

 

He growls jabbing frantically at the keyboard, which I think may need to be replaced by the time he’s done doing what he needs to do.

 

                “There Mr Novotny, suck the fuck out of that!  I need a drink!”

 

And with that he storms back to the lounge.

 

                “Any idea what he’s just done?”  I ask

 

                “Nope but I suspect we will soon find out.”  Ted sighs

 

We head back to the lounge to join the others and everyone has enough common sense to not ask Ben what’s wrong.

 

BOYD-HONEYCUTT POOLHOUSE – SATURDAY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

                “More wine?”  I ask David

 

He nods and I pour him some red, this time not the one that Drew pitched a fit over.

 

                “I am so happy that you are here and Jenny’s talking to me again, all is right in my world.”

 

David smiles at me and moves closer and the next thing he’s kissing me.

 

                “This okay?”  He murmurs pushing me back.

 

                “Yes, I am a free man I can do whatever I like with whoever I like.”  I murmur pulling his head back down.  I feel his hand…

 

Excuse me readers, narrator here…and with that we end scene – I am not narrating that, no!

 

BRITIN – SUNDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

I look round at our newly reunited family.  We are having a bubbles breakfast as Emmett puts it.  Everyone making a conscious effort not to talk about Michael in front of the Jenny unless she mentions him…she doesn’t. 

 

Gus and Jenny are video calling with their moms and Hunter and Matt are looking happy, I am so pleased they met.  Matt had taken Debbie to one side to apologise for the act of violence but not for hitting him for what he said, she gave him a huge hug and told him not to worry she would’ve done far worse.

 

                “We’re going to have to tell her sooner rather than later.  It will crush her but I can’t do this anymore not now not after that.  How could I have been so blind?”  I ask Steve

 

                “I don’t know what to tell you Ben.  At least you don’t have to listen to that whine anymore…so that’s something right?”  He shrugs and smiles.

 

I smile and back but can’t understand how he can be so self-absorbed and manipulative.

 

                “Don’t dwell on it you will only drive yourself crazy.  It went wrong, now learn from it and move on.  Do the next best thing…leef jou lewe gelukigg…or in English live your life happy.”  Faal calls out.

 

                “Yes, to living your life happy!”  Carl calls out.

 

                “Cheers!”  We all shout and raise our glasses.

 

                “So Matt, Hunter how was last weekend…that hickey is fading nicely…”

 

                “Faal!”  Jennifer calls out mortified.

 

                “What?  Are you telling me you don’t want to know?”  He looks round the table grinning.

 

                “Dad!  Mom make him stop!”  Matt’s head bangs on the table.

 

Zee smiles and toasts her husband.

 

        “As if I could!”  She replies.

 

BOYD-HONEYCUTT POOLHOUSE

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael come on I have got to get home, I will be back later.” 

 

He smiles and reluctantly lets me go.

 

                “I’ve missed this freeness we had.  You see with Ben we always had to…”  He explains

 

                “Look that is your past and I would like to be your future.  If you’ll have me…”

 

                “Of course, I will…”

 

I give him one kiss and head out.  My phone rings and my heart leaps its Hank.

 

                “Hey!  I’m…”

 

                “What part of don’t call me don’t you understand?”  He snarls and with that is gone.

 

I sigh and hail a cab.

 

                “Springhill Suites Downtown please.”

 

 

 

End Notes:

Translations from Afrikaans.

1 - beautiful boy

2 - How can he say that about his own son, how

3 - I don't know but I am so proud of you but next time maybe not punch a guy yes

 

Chapter 12 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 12 – ...THE TORNADO STARTS TO BUILD

 

MONDAY MORNING

 

SPRINGHILL SUITES DOWNTOWN

 

DAVID

 

I sigh and look across the street.  I cannot believe my life has come to this.  It’s my own fault I got greedy and then got caught…but with Michael firmly back in my sights and on the outs with Ben I can finally get my life back on track.  The $50K he sent didn’t last long but it was enough to keep me in the style to which I had been accustomed, still not sure where got that money from but that’s not my issue – I want my son back and Michael is going to help me…ah speak of the devil.

 

                “Michael good morning how are you?”

 

                “Fine thanks, I had a very nice night’s sleep thanks to a certain someone…”  I can hear his smile

 

                “As did I.  What plans for today?” 

 

I try not to roll my eyes as he witters on about something comic related, just remember the greater good I tell myself.

 

                “David, listen I have to go, have to head the store, we’ll meet up later yes?”

 

                “Of course, look forward to it.  I have some appointments to handle but will definitely see you around six, same place?”

 

                “Yep perfect.”

 

I hang up and sigh and wish to God I never ever saw those stocks in the first place.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

I can’t sleep.  I’m thinking about Faal calling off the hounds.  I know he’s not happy to do it, but he has because she asked, I know she can take care of herself but still.  Sighing I look across at Brian and think how much I love him, I snuggle into his side and feel his fingers run through my hair.

 

                “Most gay men would be insulted that their partner is worrying over a woman…”  He mumbles

 

                “Thought you were sleeping.”  I kiss his chest.

 

                “With those hamsters running, not a chance.”  He chuckles and rolls over pinning me under him.

 

                “Let me speak to Carl.  I’m not promising anything.  Okay?”  He strokes my face.

 

                “Thank you.  I really am very fond of them and would hate…”

 

                “Me too.  Now let me help those hamsters concentrate on something more, um interesting.”

 

My giggle turns into a groan as he slides down leaving a trail of hot kisses.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S

 

DEBBIE

 

                “Where did I go wrong Carl?”

 

He looks up surprised at the question and sighs.

 

                “You can only blame yourself for so much.  Red let me finish.  Michael is a grown man and knows exactly what he is doing and how to get people to forget what he’s done by simply not acknowledging it or finding a way to turn it around, he’s been doing it for years.  I think we took the lead of Faal.  He saw through him straight away and was not going to let him get away with it.  He was like a Rottweiler when it came to Matt at the BBQ from what I heard…”

 

I chuckle and think for a while.

 

                “We can never tell Hunter what he said about him nor Gus and Jenny.  It would destroy Jenny and as much as he deserves a good ass kicking she will never forgive him.  Oh and don’t tell Mel and Lindz either.”

 

                “I agree on that and I think we should let the rest of the family know too.  Agreed?”

 

I nod and start making calls.  He drops a kiss on my head and just as he’s heading out his phone rings.

 

                “Hey Brian, how are you this fine morning?”

 

ZEE & FAAL’S BROWNSTONE

 

FAAL

 

                “Carl what a surprise!  Is everything okay?”

 

He lets me in and leads me to the kitchen.

 

                “Coffee?”

 

I nod and take out my phone.

 

                “Brian and I have been talking, he knows someone, so if you see this guy hanging round Zee, don’t worry about it.”

 

I show him the photo and hope he doesn’t get mad.  He’s very quiet.

 

                “Can you send this to me please?”  He whispers.  “So…so I can send it round the teams.”

 

I do as he asks and look at him.

 

                “You okay?”

 

He nods and gives me a wobbly smile before enveloping me in a bear hug.

 

                “Thank you, thank you.”  He mumbles.

 

I cough and adjust my coat.

 

                “Would advise that you don’t do that to Brian.  And within the family it stays between us, you, me, Brian and Justin.”

 

He chuckles and the nods.

 

                “How can Michael throw away such a goodness?”

 

I shrug knock back the rest of my coffee and head out, the last thing I hear is him start to cry.

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT RESIDENCE

 

DREW                                                    

 

                “Sorry Debs he’s not moving on this and I am going to back him up.”

 

I see Emmett come down the stairs and watch his eyes drift outside.

 

                “Look Debs I have got to go.  Yeah I will get him to call you with his version of events.  Bye.”

 

I take my man into my arms.

 

                “Want me there?”

 

He shakes his head and after giving me a quick kiss heads towards the poolhouse.  I watch as he is met midway down the path by Michael.  I head to the door and wait to see if I need to step in.

 

                “But why?”

 

                “Why?  Why?  You lied to me Michael, you said you had no money but you do so use that money and go find a place.”

 

A calm Emmett is a bad sign, I start down towards them.

 

                “I didn’t lie to you the money is tied up in works for the store and I did…can’t touch that!”

 

                “Really?  But you can touch it enough to buy that stupid statue for $15 no actually $16 grand!”

 

                “What I do with my money is my business Emmett!  And again that was for the store!”

 

                “And who we have in our poolhouse is ours!”

 

                “Oh so you are being just like Justin!  What you going to do ship my stuff out in boxes like he did!”

 

                “He didn’t!  Brian did!”

 

                “What!  You’re lying, Brian wouldn’t do that, he’s…”

 

                “Ask him!  Call him right now and ask him if you don’t believe me!”

 

                “I don’t have to do that because I know he wouldn’t do that!”

 

                “Correction, you don’t want to do that because you are afraid of the truth!  You were driving Justin insane so he made a choice and he picked Justin and he will always pick Justin!”

 

Emmett takes a deep breath and sighs and then he turns and with head held high walks into my embrace.

 

Michael finally turns back into the poolhouse slamming the door.

 

                “I am so proud of you.”

 

He sniffles into my shoulder.

 

                “Come on let’s get that flame burning bright again.”  He guffaws as I drag him back to the house.

 

POOLHOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Fuck you Emmett, fuck you!”  I scream at the walls.

 

The door knocks and I open it, I see Mitchell standing there.

 

                “The Masters have asked me to help you pack.”   

 

He makes his way inside and wrinkles his nose before opening the windows.

 

                “Where shall we start?”

 

Sitting down heavily.

 

                “Wherever you want!”  I snap

 

Within an hour he has me packed and out by the gates.  I cannot believe that Emmett has done this to me, I thought he was my friend.  And he’s wrong about Brian totally wrong.  I take my stuff to the store and put it upstairs.  I need some lunch though so I think I am heading to the diner.

 

DINER

 

It is packed in there and of course no booths are available.  Michael looks round and sees Jennifer of all people, so he heads in her direction.

 

                “Hi Jennifer.”

 

She looks up in surprise but wrangles her inner WASP and pastes a smile on her face.

 

                “Michael, how nice to see you, would you like to join me?”  Her inner voice is screaming no…inner voice starts whimpering and swearing when he sits down.

 

                “Thanks.  How have you been?” 

 

                “Fine.  Just fine.  And you?”

 

I take a pause, I am not sure how much she knows about the current situation.

 

                “Well you know about Ben and me…”  I begin.

 

                “Yes I heard that you two are having difficulties, it’s a shame.  But at least he’s got the rest of the family to support him in this difficult time, it can be particularly upsetting for a teenage boy when this kind of thing happens especially with his background.  And especially when showing a shred of human kindness, gratitude and love would’ve avoided such a situation.”

 

                “Um…”

 

                “In some ways Michael you are luckier than most.”

 

                “I am how so?”

 

                “Well if your mother wasn’t my best friend I would eviscerate you.  Would you like me to spell that for you so that you can see what you avoided?  No?  Oh well, enjoy your day.”

 

She stands and heads to the door before coming back and leaning down whispers.

 

                “I give you fair warning though…I don’t care how long it takes but the moment Debs and I fall out your ass is mine.” 

 

She turns and leaves.  I am left sitting there in shock that swiftly turns to anger how dare she talk to me that way before I can follow to say my piece, ma calls out to me.

 

                “Hey what you doing here why aren’t you at the store?”

 

                “Emmett kicked me out.”  I sigh

 

                “Oh.”

 

                “Oh that’s all you have to say…oh”

 

                “What more do you want sweetheart, Carl is not going to budge on you moving back.  What about the room above the store?”

 

                “I suppose I could stay there.  But hopefully I can stay at Britin or the loft instead.  Yeah the loft would be better it’s not as if Hunter needs…”

 

                “There is every need, he’s called Matt remember.”

 

                “You can’t be serious.  He’s still seeing that guy after what he did to me, so much for loyalty!”

 

                “I like Matt, he’s good for Hunter, he makes him happy and you should be thanking him!”

 

                “What the fuck for?!”  I am incredulous.

 

                “Because he won’t tell anybody what you said that got you that punch!”  She snaps

 

She pauses and looks at me and then she walks away.  Well if Hunter is at the loft so much then I can move into his room, I am going to see Ben, I shout my goodbyes and leave.

 

CARL

 

I watch as he stomps out like a petulant child.

 

                “I hoped I really did.”  She mutters quietly to herself.

 

I want to reach over the counter and take the pain he causes her away.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

                “Michael, what are you doing here?”

 

                “Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

 

                “No.”

 

He looks surprised.

 

                “How have you been?”

 

                “A lot better thanks?”

 

                “Look Ben can we at least be civil about this?  Emmett is…”

 

                “Civil!  You want to be civil, if you had been civil in the first place you would not be on that side of the door, now what do you want?”

 

                “I hear that Hunter is spending a lot of time at the loft and since I am no longer staying at Emmett’s I thought I could move back here and use his room instead until I get a place of my own.”

 

He starts to chuckle and then pauses.

 

                “What you’re serious?  Even if Hunter was staying mostly at the loft, which he isn’t, you would still not be welcome here.  Michael you hurt me and Hunter terribly and have the gall to think you can walk on water for it.”

 

                “Ben this is partly my house I…”

 

                “You really don’t get it do you and you still have selective hearing I see.  For the last time, it is not your house, your name is not on the deed nor did you contribute to the mortgage payments so no it is nothing to do with you.  In fact, when he could Hunter contributed more than you.  Now go away Michael I have papers to grade.”

 

I shut the door and sigh.  For one second I was about to open it then I remember what Faal said…live your life happy, so I head back to the sofa and pour myself another glass of wine and settle down to watching National Geographic without the constant questions and sighing…bliss!

 

ZEE AND FAAL’S BROWNSTONE – LATE EVENING

 

FAAL

 

                “My lig, ek is lief vir jou, ek is lief vir jou, moenie ophou ek jou smeek asseblief nie ophou!”1

 

Suddenly there is a pounding on the door.

 

                “Ignoreer!”2

 

The pounding is relentless and then my phone starts, it’s Brian.

 

“Jy het gotta 'n grap my!”3

 

She sighs and we both get up and head to the door.  When we open it Emmett rushes in followed by Brian, Justin and Ben.

 

                “Um Emmett…”  Zee begins

 

                “I need a fucking drink!”  He yells.

 

She points to the kitchen and the wine and he drinks directly from the bottle.

 

                “Okay, anybody want to fill me in while he swallows?”  She asks.

 

                “Don’t say swallow.”  I growl.

 

Brian tries and fails to hide his smirk.

 

                “No idea, he just rounded us up and brought us here.  Emmy Lou, can you stop drinking and start talking.”  Brian shakes his head at the histrionics.

 

Justin takes the bottle from him.  He takes a deep breath and sits down.

 

                “I was sitting at home, just watching AMC and missing my Drewsie, he’s took a flight to Chicago and…”

 

                “Emmy Lou focus.”  Brian sighs.

 

                “Sorry.  I am on my own like I said.  The gate goes and I have a look see and you will not believe who it is?”

 

He pauses dramatically.

 

                “George Bush naked and lubed up?”  I ask, I wish to get back to what I was doing!

 

                “No, even worse.  Dr David Cameron!”

 

We all go quiet and then look at each other.

 

                “Are you, um suggesting that he and Drew are…”  Justin begins gently.

 

                “No, no of course not!  He wasn’t there for Drew he was there to see Michael!”

 

                “Michael?  But you kicked him out today right?”  Brian snaps. 

 

I can tell he’s thinking of the safety of Emmy Lou…he doesn’t fool me.

 

                “Apparently they had dinner plans.”

 

Zee pours us all a drink and swiftly opens another bottle and we all drink in silence.

 

                “Thoughts?”  Ben asks.

 

                “How did you leave it with him?”  I am mentally working out who to send to look after Emmett.

 

                “Told Mitchell to tell him that Michael wasn’t here.  Mitchell said he walked away and then I rounded up you guys and here we are!”

 

Nobody says a word for a while.

 

                “Can someone get Carl over here, we are most likely overreacting but let’s keep him in the loop.”

 

Brian offers to go and pick him up and Ben goes with him.

 

I pull her into my arms and hug her tightly.  She heads to get her laptop and then she, Justin and Emmett rustle up some food and it is ready by the time they come back.

 

                “Are you kidding me with this shit?!”  Carl shouts as he comes through the door.

 

                “You’ve been filled in I see.”  I sigh

 

                “Look everyone try to keep calm.  Okay we know the original money came from the Pitts, I am this close to the actual account…” 

 

Just then her phone rings.  She nods and writes down something and then lets out a heavy sigh and hangs up.

 

                “What is it?  Just spill it.”  Brian demands.

 

                “Fuck!”  She explodes and again with the pacing.

 

                “Zaden stop this and just tell us!”  I bellow.

 

                “You know that 50 grand he acquired suddenly?”

 

We all nod.

 

                “Well the reason it wasn’t red flagged was because it went to his practice and not his personal accounts and now I know who gave him the money just got to figure out why.  It was some company called Red Cape Comics.  He opened several accounts and spread the money around so it wasn’t picked up as all amounts were under the threshold.  Nothing fucking illegal there…devious but not illegal...”

 

                “Uh Zee…did you say Red Cape Comics?”  Ben looks ashen.

 

She nods and then looks round.

 

                “When was this?”  Justin is gripping his glass, I take it from him before he breaks it.

 

                “About 2 years ago…”

 

She looks at Brian and Justin, both look angry.

 

                “Of all the stupid…”  Ben shouts.

 

                “What?  Someone want to fill in the blanks here?”  She demands

 

                “Red Cape Comics is owned by one Michael Novotny.”  Ben answers

 

                “I always said that he was easily manipulated by that bastard!”  Brian snaps grabbing for the bottle.

 

                “Wait!  I have just remembered something!”   Emmett is waving his arms round and pacing.

 

We all turn to Emmett and just as Brian is about to say something

 

                “Seriously Brian not a word!  Remember when David got him that Miata and he got sucked into his pretentious world…”

 

                “Yeah he was more fun than usual to be around.”  Justin snarks

 

                “Hah!  No but I think I remember him saying he said that he and David had investments and mmmph!”

 

Zee kisses Emmett soundly on the lips and skips into my arms grinning.

 

                “You beauty Emmett!”  She crows triumphantly.  “My guess is that there are investments hidden somewhere, jointly and he wants them so once he gets that signature he fucks off and Michael is none the wiser.”

 

                “But what about the $50K?”  Carl looks confused.

 

                “Give me a minute.  Guys please eat!”  Zee is bouncing up and down with glee.

 

I prepare a plate for her and fork food into her mouth ever so often, Brian snickers.

 

                “Shush like you wouldn’t do this for Justin when he is focused on his art.  This is her art.”  I tell him.

 

                “Your little bird needs feeding.” 

 

I grin at him and fork another mouthful in.

 

                “Hold the happiness this is going to take some work.  Fuck.” 

 

She looks so crestfallen.

 

                “What do you have so far?”  Brian is in business mode and looks over her shoulder.

 

                “Maybe we should get Ted involved or even Mel…”  Justin suggests

 

                “Why Mel?”  Zee asks leaning over for another forkful.

 

                “She drew up the contract for the loan.”  Ben answers.  “These are good what’s in it?”

 

He is currently eating spring roll.

 

                “Shrooms…raw enoki, cooked shiitake, oyster, wild with garlic chives and crisp savoy cabbage.  Hey open mouth here.”

 

This elicits chuckles and the tension is broken and I put in the spring roll and cry inside as she slowly draws it into her mouth.  I really hate David Cameron and Michael Novotny!

 

                “Would you say that Michael is sensible when it comes to reading documentation?  Or would he sign the thing just to get the money?  And is the relationship between him and Mel good?”  She asks after finishing the roll, she points at the chicken

 

I shake my head at her and smile, she winks and points at her mouth.

 

                “Definitely the latter and well she wasn’t happy the last time they were together.  You know when you and Hunter were discharged, he and Lindz got reamed out over their insistence that they should have a key to Britin…”

 

Emmett explains before asking for a piece of paper and a pen and making notes.

 

                “Uh what are you doing?”  I ask.

 

                “Stealing the recipe for the spring rolls these are delish!”

 

                “Does Michael pay much for Jenny?”  Zee is starting to pace.

 

Ben snorts in derision and shakes his head.

 

                “Not as much as he could.  I am paying the loan repayments.  We were supposed to be paying them together but of course…”

 

                “Is there a default clause?”  She asks Brian.

 

                “Yeah Mel put one so harsh that we were sure he wouldn’t.  It’s that if he defaulted two payments he forfeits the…”

 

Brian cocks an eyebrow at her and then grins.

 

                “Genius but why help him?”  He asks.

 

                “Hang on Brian.  Ben am I to take it that you are the only one making the payments but he doesn’t think you know that?”

 

                “Yes and I was helping him towards the mortgage on the store but I put a stop to that.”

 

                “Oh that’s what you did.  Even better.”  Brian chuckles, he’s clearly more clued in than the rest of us

 

                “Michael said that the money was tied up in something for the store that he couldn’t touch so he lied about that too?”  Emmett sighs sadly

 

                “May be not.  But Ben that’s perfect.  Stop paying the loan repayments.”  Zee states.

 

The rest of us are looking at the grinning pair in confusion.

 

                “Please explain in English how that helps.”  Carl grumbles

 

                “He defaults, then he has to return every cent or the store becomes ours…”  Brian explains.

 

I walk slowly over to Zee and pull her into my arms.

 

                “Herinner my nog nooit aan jou oor te steek”

 

                “Thought that was a given.”  She murmurs pulling me down for a tongue fucking kiss.

 

Carl coughs though is smiling when we break apart.

 

                “Translation?”

 

                “Remind me never to cross you.”  I reply.

 

                “Oh how disappointing!  Judging by that kiss I was expecting something filthy!”  Emmett sighs

 

We all burst out laughing.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – SAME EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

        “David I am so sorry that I forgot to tell you I had inventory tonight.  Are you sure you don’t mind.”

 

                “No Michael of course not, but I would’ve appreciated a heads up as I was dressed for dinner not um this…” 

 

I do feel a bit for David but at least he’s here.  I grab another bottle of champagne from the fridge…mentally thanking Boy Wonder…and open it wincing slightly as it hits my Captain Astro.

 

                “Um Michael, I have been meaning to ask you…”

 

                “What?”  I ask handing him a glass and then making sure there isn’t a mark on the Captain.

 

                “Why do you have such a large statue in such a small space?  Surely it would be better placed outside and you can reclaim the floor space.”

 

I look at him scandalised.

 

                “This is an original Captain Astro, it’s a store enhancement…”

 

                “Well this store enhancement gives me bruises every time I walk past.  How about this, why not get a case for it and then leave it outside during the day…chained of course…and leave it instore at night?”

 

I think about it for a few minutes and then realise he is right, why didn’t Ben suggest that!

 

                “Brilliant idea, I will look at that tomorrow.  Now what say we go upstairs and I help you out of those dusty clothes?”

 

BRITIN

 

ALICE

 

Don’t get me wrong, I love my job.  Brian and Justin are the most loving couple I have ever seen and they don’t treat me like “staff” they treat me like family as do the rest of them, well except one and I am not sad to see him going.  Lord alone knows that Ben could do much better than him. 

 

And as for Hunter and Matt, when I first met that Hunter he was belligerent and smart mouthed but I soon put a stop to that and I’m Aunt Alice now and I couldn’t be prouder.  And the way they are together it is so damn sweet, I have never seen two boys spring apart as fast as they did when I caught them in the mud room.

 

Zee and Faal now they are another loving couple in fact when I see them I see Brian and Justin in straight version, they would do anything for each other and when I heard about the threat I was glad Justin changed his mind about their guns.

 

The reason I sometimes hate my job is inventory and household accounts, I hate doing them but needs must when the devil drives, so in the words of Faal…Kom ons kry dit kak gedoen!4.

 

BRITIN – TUESDAY LATE MORNING

 

ALICE

 

I have fed the cats and so as to make sure that there are no disturbances as I need them to focus on me it is with regret I send Lilah outside with her mom and siblings.  Brian tends to zone out when she’s in his sight.

 

                “Morning Alice.  Where’s Lilah?”  Brian asks and I resist the temptation to roll my eyes

 

                “Getting some morning sun, where’s Justin?”

 

                “Mmm here, need coffee.”  A sleepy Justin ambles in and plops himself in Brian’s lap.

 

He rests his head on Brian shoulder and closes his eyes.

 

                “Boys focus I need you to concentrate on me please!”

 

Maybe it is something in my tone but they both snap to attention.

 

                “Problem?”  Brian asks as he puts Justin on the chair next to him and gets him a coffee.

 

                “I am hoping not.  And I have just made a mistake.”  I begin

 

Brian does the Kinney Eyebrow Quirk as I have taken to calling it, and it means a myriad of things, this one is get the fuck on with it.

 

                “I was doing inventory last night and it doesn’t add up with what was ordered to what is or was here.”

 

                “Oh wait remember we put some of the food for Ben and Hunter on our bills whilst they were recuperating.”  Justin points out

 

                “Yeah but um why are they still ordering?”  I ask

 

                “They’re not.  Ben said his last order was in August it’s now nearly October.”

 

                “Well someone is…there’s champagne, wine, caviar, foie gras, Wagyu beef and all kinds of stuff…”

 

                “Where is it being delivered?”  Justin asks

 

                “2501 2nd Avenue.”

 

                “How many deliveries?”  Justin is looking beyond pissed.

 

                “5 well 4 one was returned.”

 

                “Can you get the company to give us an itemised bill for everything delivered to that address and to Ben’s house?” 

 

                “Here.  I had a feeling you would ask.”

 

Justin walks out and makes a call but I can’t tell who to.

 

                “Brian I am so…”

 

                “No you did the right thing.”  He reassures me and pinches his nose.  “When am I going to fucking learn?!”

 

                “He’s emailing it now.  Please Brian stop.”  Justin pleads and he watches Brian start to pace.

 

For the next 40 minutes we go through every order to the Novotny Bruckners and those delivered to 2501 2nd Avenue…or to give the full address…Red Cape Comics.

 

                “I have to tell Deb.”  Brian mumbles.

 

                “Want me to come?”  Justin asks hugging him tight.

 

                “Later.  Definitely later.”  He kisses him gently and heads out making a call on his way.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

DEBBIE

 

                “Did he say what it is about?”  Carl asks with a worried frown

 

I shake my head.

 

                “He sounded so disappointed and sad.  Oh my God you don’t think him and Sunshine have split do you?”

 

                “Not even God and the Devil could separate those two!”  He chuckles

 

We hear the door open and Brian comes in, he looks so broken.

 

                “Honey what is it, what’s happened?  Oh my God the cancer, is the cancer’s back?!” 

 

                “Ma the cancer is not back but there is a cancer of a sort, please can you sit down.”

 

He hands me a piece of paper and I look at it in confusion, all I can see is a food list.

 

                “What’s this?”  Carl asks taking the list from me.

 

                “This is the food that Michael ordered for himself during the recuperation of Ben and Hunter and the second page is the food he ordered after he and Ben split.”  He tells us.

 

I take the list off Carl and read it thoroughly and am sick to my stomach.  How could he, how could he do something so mean spirited when all he had to do was ask.

 

                “Do what you need to do…you will still have us, you hear, you still have us.”  I pull him into a hug.

 

He nods and heads out.

 

                “Brian.”  Carl calls out to him.

 

He turns and I can see the tears in his eyes.

 

                “Come here son, just come here.” 

 

I watch as he battles with himself and then he finally gives in.  I head to the kitchen to get coffee and leave Carl to give Brian the comfort he needs.

 

Every heaving sob is a stab to my gut, every clutch on Carl’s arm is a reminder of his teenage pain and when I see Carl kiss his head and rock him my heart breaks.  No more I will not let him suffer anymore!

 

                “Give me this.  I’ll deal with it.”  I take the paper and head out.

 

I get to the store and slam the door hard, Michael comes up to me smiling.

 

                “Ma guess what?”  He is actually crowing.

 

                “No clue, why don’t you tell me what you’ve been up to?”

 

He is gesturing to someone.

 

                “You remember David, well we are back together isn’t that great?”

 

My world goes black.  I am not sure how long I have been out but when I open my eyes, Carl is looking at me.

 

                “What happened?”

 

                “You fainted.”  Michael sounds pissed off…nice.

 

Carl helps me up and tells Michael he will get me home.  I go to speak but he shushes me, I am not sure what is going on but I want to deal with Michael.

 

                “Let’s get you home to rest, I’ll call you once she’s settled okay.  About the arm you know it was an accident.”

 

He leads me to the car and we head home in silence, I am confused and look across at him and he’s…laughing…how is me fainting and Michael dating that potential psychopath funny!

 

                “Carl?  What’s so fucking funny?  Do you know he’s back with Dr Dave the same Dr Dave that threatened Zee!  We have to tell Faal, let me…”

 

He pulls up to the side of the road now roaring with laughter.

 

                “Carl Horvath!”

 

                “S-s-sorry Deb but it is just sorry.  Ahem!  Right I am calm actually no…”

 

Another round of laughter has him practically crying.

 

                “Carl what is it?  What?!”

 

                “When you fainted, you-you-you b-b-broke Captain Astro’s arm and took down at least three racks and the water cooler thus ru-ru-ruining the comics it fell on!”

 

                “How is that…oh my fucking God!  I did?  Well ain’t that a shame.”  I drawl

 

The next ten minutes the car rocks to our laughter.  Once we are calm he heads towards home.

 

                “Shit Brian!  How was he, he’s not coming to see Michael is he?”  I gasp

 

                “No he was a wreck, I called Justin and he said he would pick him up and take him home.  You know Red I think Brian is finally done with him.”

 

I nod, I am sad in a way but Michael brought it on himself.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

                “Come on.  Brian come on come upstairs.” 

 

Alice hands me a brandy and gives me a small smile.

 

                “I’ll be in the cottage if you need anything.”  She murmurs.

 

We get to the bedroom in total silence, it’s unnerving. 

 

                “Let me love you Brian, let me love you.” 

 

I murmur planting kisses over his face every time I taste a tear I want to kill Michael.

 

At first there is no response but as I keep kissing his closed mouth he softens and until he lets me in.  I pull back and take a swig of brandy and kiss him again, his grip on me tightens and he moans.

 

                “Do that again.”

 

I obey and am surprised when he rolls us over and he passes it back to me, I swallow happily, but push him back onto his back.

 

                “Let me love you.”  I kiss him again and he relaxes putting his arms above his head and smiles.

 

I kiss him deeply and start to undress him.  Kissing each bit of skin that becomes available, when I get to his stomach he arches upwards and sighs. 

 

                “Need you to sit up so that I can take off your shirt.”  I mumbled into his mouth after another shot of brandy.

 

He nods and sits up starting on my top, I shake my head.

 

                “You’re being loved, hands down.”  I chide gently.

 

He growls but puts his hands down and I slip off his shirt.  Pushing him back onto the bed I stand above him and slowly wind my hips as I start to take off my top and loosen my jeans.  I sink down onto his hips and slowly unbutton his jeans kissing the skin that gets exposed with each pop.

 

                “Unh!”

 

                “Hips up.”  I turn to face him and raise myself so he can do as ordered and making sure he has a great view of my ass, I push them down to his calves and he manages to kick them off, I chuckle at the sight of his flailing feet.

 

                “Oh!”  I squeal as his hand cracks across my ass.

 

                “You said down not still and if you are going to wave it at me well then…oh fuck!”

 

I swiped the tip of his cock and then take just the head in my warm mouth.  I lathe my tongue over it not going passed the head and running my fingers down the inside of his thighs.  His hitched breathing and quivering thighs tell me this is a good thing.

 

                “Want, want to see you, want to see those…oh God!  Baby look at me please.”  He begs.

 

I turn round on his cock not once letting him drop from my mouth and he grabs at the sheets letting out a string of curses and grunts.  I push his legs up putting him exposing him totally, brushing my fingers against his perineum he starts to whimper.

 

                “Love me, please, please love me…”  His head is thrashing and he is practically ripping the mattress.

 

I take him down my throat and suck hard and then slowly let him slither out of my mouth, he looks up at me at first confused and then he smiles at my nakedness and practically drools as I use my precum to lubricate myself and then add his to his flexing hole.  Wrapping his legs round my waist I align myself and push in a fraction.

 

                “Stay still.”  I order.

 

I take my time and slowly slide into him and once fully embedded I kiss him deeply.

 

                “Move baby please move.”  He begs

 

I rotate my hips in a cowgirl fashion before I start thrusting in earnest.

 

                “Oh!  Ah!  Jesus!  Fuck!  So good so good yes!  Oooh that oh that, yes there!  Uh Justin!  Please don’t stop please don’t stop!  Oh God!”

 

He’s bucking so hard that I almost lose my rhythm but grasping his hips and ringing his cock calms him down a bit.

 

                “Now where was I?”

 

 I mumble into his mouth and start thrusting again nailing his prostate every time.

 

                “Fuuuuuccccccckkkkkk!  Yes keep going please keep going!  I uh I oh fuck!  Look at me, look at me!  Look at what you do to me!  Oh Christ oh I’m gonna come I’m gonna come hard!  I’m coming!”

 

And he does and his ass clamping brings on mine and then there is nothing.

 

                “Justin.  Justin are you okay?”

 

I hear his voice really far away.

 

                “Mmm want to sleep now.”  I mumble into his chest.

 

                “Need to have shower or it will be a bitch to get us apart, come on wrap your legs round me.  That’s my good baby shower time.”

 

It takes a good few minutes to register what’s happening and when we come out having had a shower proper, no fucking at all, we head back to the bedroom and sigh.  It looks like a post porn shoot from the 70s pulling the bedding into a pile we giggle and share the rest of the brandy.

 

A knock at the door startles us.

 

                “If you boys are hungry I have got some fried chicken and vegetables waiting.”  Alice calls.

 

                “Great we’ll be right down.  We can do this when we come back up okay?”  He kisses me gently and I nod.

 

Alice leaves us to eat and we do so in silence.

 

                “You okay?”  I ask him.

 

                “Yeah.  But I am done, once we get him out of this fuck up I am done.” 

 

I nod and inside do a happy dance.

 

                “Okay let’s go sort the bed out because right now all I want to do is sleep.”

 

Again I nod and allow myself to be led upstairs to the bedroom where we are surprised to find it freshly made and unsurprised to find Lilah in the middle waiting impatiently.

 

                “Remind me to give Alice a raise.”  He says as he pulls me onto his chest and Lilah settles behind his head.

 

                “Mmm hmmm.”

 

 

So the cards have been played, well most of them.  Let the games begin.

End Notes:

1 - My light, I love you, I love you, please don't stop I am begging you don't stop

2 - Ignore it

3 - You have got to be kidding me

4 - Let's get this shit done

Please review constructively and kindly.  Happy reading. Thanks.

Chapter 13 by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

A bit longer than the last few, but it had to be split as a spike in Michael's jealousy needs a chapter all of its own.

CHAPTER 13 – AND A COLD WIND STARTS TO COME IN FROM THE NORTH…

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE – WEDNESDAY LATE MORNING

DEBBIE

I look at Carl, he seems so preoccupied today.  I wonder what happened after I left to see Michael, which reminds me I must pay that little asshole a visit.

 

                “Carl honey, is everything okay?”

 

He jerks up in surprise and gives me a small smile.

 

                “Yeah Red, you okay after last night?”  He starts to chuckle again.

 

I nod, grinning back at him, before I could say anything else the door knocks and Emmett comes in with tears streaming down his face.

 

                “How could you not tell me?  Now start from the top!”  He demands.

 

We both look at each other in confusion; his shoulders are heaving and he is gasping for breath.

 

                “Te-tell me exactly how you managed to crush the mighty Captain Astro!”

 

I get him a coffee and begin.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe what has happened, Captain Astro’s left side is totally destroyed.   I have been on the phone all morning trying to get a restorer to see what they can do, just waiting for one to call me back.  As for the racks and comics, the comics are gone but the rest is salvageable.  I am brought out of my thoughts by the doorbell going and am face to face with Brian, who looks tired.

 

                “Hey Brian, jeez you look like shit!”

 

                “Thanks for that Mikey.  What the hell happened?” 

 

                “Ma happened?”

 

                “What?”

 

                “Oh she fainted.  Oh hang on I have to get this.  Hello?  Yes, this is he.  You can!  That’s great, look can I call you back thanks!”

 

I turn back to Brian who is waiting for me to end the call.

 

                “Well?”

 

                “Oh that was a restorer they think they can help fix the Captain, isn’t that great?”

 

Brian just stares at me shakes his head and walks out.  I wonder what crawled up his ass but right now I have to call the restorer back.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

BRIAN

 

                “Ma you here!”  I bellow.

 

                “Here, honey, what wrong now?”

 

He runs his hands down my arms and looks me over.

 

                “Nothing.  Michael said you fainted, you okay?”

 

They all start to laugh.

 

                “Oh honey, tell it again, this story bears repeating.”  Emmett guffaws as he gets Brian a coffee.

 

An hour later, Brian is grinning and heading to work. Carl walked out with him and after a brief chat he comes back inside.

 

                “Okay spill it.  Spill it right now Mr Horvath what is going on!”

 

He and Emmett exchange a look its quick, aha time to work on Emmett.

 

                “Emmett, sweetheart, don’t make me play hardball just spit it out!” 

 

                “Michael gave David £50K from the money he got from Brian and Justin.”

 

                “What the fuck for?”

 

Emmett shrugs.

 

                “That’s all I know Debs and I only found that out from a little bit of eavesdropping.  Look I have to go, I have a client meeting bye.”

 

And with that he is gone.

 

                “That’s all I know too sweetheart.”  He holds up his hands.  “I’m gonna be late you make sure you get plenty of rest okay.  Oh and one more thing Brian said not to mention the list to Michael he wants to deal with it okay?”

 

I nod and sink down into my seat.

 

                “Red, sweetheart promise me you won’t go to Michael about the food thing?”

 

                “I promise, you go to work honey.”

 

I gather up the crockery and put them in the sink, time to have a word with my asshole dumbfuck of a son.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

                “Hello?  Oh hi Zee, how are…um the payment is due this Thursday, no I cancelled it the moment I got home why?  Oh I see.  Okay.  See you and the rest of the family on Saturday…ah dinner, oh I think I may have dropped Faal in it.  Yeah I will leave you to deal with him.”

 

Oh dear I think Faal is in a bit of trouble.  I hear the thud of Hunter coming down the stairs, for a man so light he makes a lot of noise. 

 

                “Morning did…” 

 

                “Why does he hate me so much?”  He sobs.

 

                “What’s brought this on?”

 

I manoeuvre us to the sofa and stroke his hair trying to calm him.

 

                “Michael why does he hate me so much?”

 

I tense, not sure how to answer this but I am saved by the phone ringing, well almost it’s Michael, I send him to voicemail.  He looks at me and wipes his face.

 

                “I asked Matt what he said and he said he wouldn’t and couldn’t tell me.  So it must be bad and it must because he hates me, do you know why and what he said?”

 

                “Hunter, please don’t ask me to do this, I can’t hurt you, please?”

 

He nods and sniffles a bit before smiling at me.

 

                “You love me that much old man?”

 

                “Less of the old!  And yes, yes I do.  Now scoot and get dressed, you said you would visit Jennifer today right and are you and Matt spending the night here or at the loft?”

 

                “Yes to Nana Jen and we’re spending it at the loft, I’m going to be nervous enough first time topping without you doing it here!”

 

With that he runs up the stairs…then it hits me first.time.topping?

 

                “Hunter!”  I yell.

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

ZEE

 

                “Sweetheart, just spoke to Ben.”

 

                “Hmm, why?  Should I be worried?”  He kisses the back of my neck.

 

                “You are the only man for me, though you are dropping down the rungs right now.  Reason I called Ben was to make sure that he cancelled the payment before the next one is due…”

 

                “Oh I see.  Wait why I am dropping down the rungs, what have I done?”

 

                “Dinner.”  I stare at him pointedly.

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “Apparently the family are coming round to ours for dinner on Saturday?”

 

                “Oh, ah, yes that!  Well we can use the new house…it is ready isn’t it?”

 

                “Yeah apart from the fact the kitchen won’t be ready until next Wednesday…”

 

                “Next Wednesday I thought it was this Wednesday…shit my lig I am so sorry, I will call and cancel but…”

 

                “What have you done?”  I take his chin in my hands and make him look at me.

 

                “Well I may have mentioned the lamb cutlets and stuffed wings you do…and Justin’s eyes got real big and then Emmett wanted…”

 

                “Faal!  We cannot fit 14 people in here!  I know fixing up the new place isn’t much to you but…”

 

                “It is!  I misheard the date that is all I will call and cancel, we can do it next weekend maybe?”

 

He winds his arms round me and mutters his apologies in my ear, I am not quite ready to forgive him yet. 

 

                “Seriously you are giving me a heads up this time!  Start calling.  I have to go to the house.”

 

I pick my stuff up and leave.

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN

 

I am having a better day than I thought.  Justin is heading off after coming in to check on me and when I told him about the demise of Captain Astro it put that sunshine smile back on his face.  I heard a knock Bethany is at the door, she looks somewhat awestruck.

 

                “Um there is a Faal to see you?”

 

I smile and nod that he can be let in.

 

                “Bethany, he’s very much married.”

 

                “Damn.”  I hear her mutter

 

Faal comes in looking somewhat dejected.

 

                “I have upset her, she thinks I am uncaring about the house and she left me without a kiss, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up on the sofa tonight.”  He sighs.

 

                “Start from the top.”

 

                “The dinner I invited you to will have to be cancelled because I didn’t realise that the Wednesday she was talking about for the kitchen finishing was next Wednesday not this and we can’t hold it in the Brownstone because there isn’t enough room and I will have disappointed Justin as well because he won’t get the food and…”

 

                “Britin has a kitchen.”

 

                “But we always are round at yours…”

 

                “Britin has a kitchen.  You wouldn’t want to disappoint Sunshine would you?  Let me work on your lovely wife okay?”

 

He goes to say something but I just shake my head at him.

 

                “It will be fine, now go and prepare to apologise properly, I suggest lots of flowers.”

 

I take him by the elbow and steer him out the door and pick up the phone.

 

                “Zee, its Brian, let him out the doghouse you can do it at Britin, he’s been raving proudly about your food, you know he wasn’t being inconsiderate he was just…thanks.   Oh and buckle up, I think you’re in for one hell of a ride!”

 

I go back to the rest of my day, must make that a 40% bonus for Cynthia – because of her I have two new true friends.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I have finally managed to find someone to take the Captain to the restorers when the bell chimes and in comes Ma who has a face like thunder but before she can say anything the door chimes again and in comes David, I smile at him.

 

                “David!  Ma you remember David don’t you?”

 

                “Yes I do, how are you David, how long are you in town for?”  I am surprised by her cold tone.

 

                “Only a few more days and then I have to go back to my practice in Portland.”  He replies

 

                “Uh huh.”

 

                “How are you Debbie, you okay after your fainting spell?”

 

                “Yes I guess I just got a little overheated.  Where is it?”

 

                “Oh the Captain is on his way to the restorers they think they can fix him as good as new.” 

 

                “And how much is that going to cost you?”  She snarks.

 

What is her problem this morning? 

 

                “Um, let’s not talk about that right now, David did you want something?”

 

I need to get him out of here before she embarrasses me further.

 

                “Oh dinner tonight, I just wanted to know if you wanted to…”

 

The bell goes again and this time it is Faal, he freezes but then smiles.

 

                “Ah Debbie, how are you I understand that you fainted last night should you be up and about so soon?”  He asks.

 

                “I’m fine honey, don’t worry.  Who were you after?”  She asks patting his cheek.

 

                “You I wanted to let you know the family dinner is back on for Saturday.”

 

                “Oh great, so where’s it going to be held?”

 

                “Britin instead I got the dates wrong and it is not ready until next Thursday at least.”

 

                “What time?”  I ask.

 

They both turn to look at me in surprise.

 

                “What time’s the family dinner, David would love to come wouldn’t you?”  I turn to him.

 

He looks a little surprised by smiles in agreement.

 

                “Yes it would be nice to catch up with the old gang again.”   He replies.

 

                “I would have to check with my, my wife as it is her that’s cooking so…”

 

                “But it’s being held at Britin and oh sorry got to take this, it’s the restorers.  Ma let me know what time David and I should arrive.  Hello Michael Novotny speaking…”

 

DAVID

 

                “I think we have been summarily dismissed.”  I say to Debbie and her friend.

 

                “Yeah he’s good at that.”  Debbie mumbles and turns to the door.

 

                “Sorry my name is David Cameron and you are?”  I turn to her friend.

 

                “Faal Ugerstacht, pleased to make your acquaintance.”  He replies taking my outstretched hand.

 

                “An unusual name, where is it from?”

 

                “South Africa, Dutch origin.”  He explains as we all walk out the shop.

 

                “Well I’m heading to the diner, see if they need help.”  Debbie says

 

                “I’ll walk you I was heading that way anyway, was hoping Michael could join me for coffee, it would be nice to catch up with you Debbie, care to join us Faal?”

 

He nods and we take the short walk in silence.  Immediately, Debbie is sat down and told she is not working today, apparently a Carl had already called ahead she grimaces ruefully. 

 

                “He’s just looking out for you.  And he’s not the only one.”  Faal tells her

 

                “So what will it be?”  A waiter asks.

 

                “A mint tea for me, Debbie, Faal what would you like?”

 

                “Just water for me.”  Debbie replies and Faal waves away the offer.

 

                “So how have you been, what brings you back to the Pitts?”  She asks.

 

                “Just some business I need to take care of, I will be going back to Portland in a few days but back in the Pitts at the end of the month.  I understand that you are now a grandmother, twice over.”

 

                “Three times, Gus – he’s Brian’s boy, Jenny as you know is Michael’s and Hunter who is Ben and Michael’s son.”  She replies tersely.  “How’s your boy, Hank right?”

 

                “Yeah, we are going through a difficult patch at the moment, teenage boys can be such a handful.”  I sigh sadly.

 

                “Not all teenage boys.  I have a boy he’s great not a handful though he does have a habit of stealing stuff from me like getting inside my wardrobe…annoying when people get inside things they are not supposed to.”  He chuckles.

 

Before I can reply, Michael bustles in and sits with us and gives me a kiss on the cheek, I wince as I hate public displays like that.

 

                “So how long have been two been back in contact, it’s been years since you’ve seen each other?”  Debbie asks.

 

                “Been in contact for the last couple of years, but only just reconnected when I came to town, it has been very quick admittedly, but now without certain outside influences maybe we can make a proper go of things.”  I reply.

 

She nods and then frowns.

 

                “What made you get back in touch though?”  She asks.

 

Michael starts to say something.

 

                “Oh it was in Portland, Michael was at comic convention and bumped into Hank, he was bidding on something or other but lost out…Michael not Hank, there was no way I would let him bid that much for a collectible, I think it went for $60K, anyway Hank took his details and I called Michael to just catch up and here we are.”

 

                “What was it?”  Faal asks.

 

                “What was what?”  I reply

 

                “The thing that went for that much money?” 

 

I shrug and take a sip of my tea.

 

                “Michael sweetheart what was it?”  Debbie asks sweetly.

 

                “Ma, you know I don’t like talking about stuff I miss out on.”  He whines.

 

I inwardly sigh with relief; at least that means we don’t have to go through that conversation, suddenly my phone goes reminding me of my next appointment.

 

                “Sorry guys I have to go, it was nice to meet you Faal and to catch up with you again Debbie, see you Saturday.” 

 

I was gone before Michael could give me another kiss goodbye.  I take out my phone and make a call.

 

                “Charles how is it going is there any way round this at all?”

 

                “Not without that certificate or a letter signing them over to you no.  As your lawyer I have said it before, you need them before you can sign them over to me so I can liquidate the stock.  As your lover I need to know when you are coming home, I miss you.”

 

                “In a few days but then I have to be back here for the perspective I told you about, I am pretty sure I can have them by the end of the month and then we can get on with our lives, once Hank forgives me and I replace his college fund it will be fine.”

 

I sigh and hang up and head to hail a cab.

 

DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

I wait for Faal to leave before I round on ma.

 

                “What the hell was the 20 questions about ma?!”

 

                “What 20 questions, I asked 2 maybe 3 tops, you have to admit that it is a bit of a bolt from the blue for me.  And what gives you the right to invite yourself and him to dinner on Saturday?”

 

                “It’s a family dinner, I am family.  Look I have got to go.  See you later.”

 

I head back to the shop shaking my head.

 

FAAL

 

Okay, the dinner is cancelled there is no way in hell he is getting that close to her, need to call Brian.

 

                “Brian, it’s Faal, you are never going to believe who I just bumped into?  Yes indeed, no I am not fucking kidding and it gets worse, he was with Michael and Michael invited himself and him to dinner on Saturday!”

 

I am astonished when Brian starts to laugh, then he explains how this will be to our advantage.  He will speak to Zee and I chuckle and smile, Saturday will be very interesting indeed.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe the way ma was with David, it was so embarrassing it was like she was digging for dirt on the guy.  But at least we have dinner tonight, nothing can ruin my mood today, the Captain is going to be fixed and I have a man that can love me freely in my life.

 

                “Good morning Michael.” 

 

I hadn’t even heard the door open so was surprised to hear Ben’s voice. 

 

                “Ben.  What no stud muffin with you?”  I snark.  “Well since you’ve moved on so have I, now what did you want?”

 

                “For the…oh forget it you only hear what you want to hear anyways.  And since you’ve moved on that’s made what I was going to say easier, we need to tell Jenny that we are no longer together, it’s not fair to her to leave her in the dark like this.”

 

I stare at him in shock as I wasn’t expecting that.

 

                “Michael?  Did you hear me?”

 

                “I’ll tell her.”  I mumble

 

                “Maybe we should both tell her it might soften the blow a bit?” 

 

                “No Ben I will tell her, I think it will sound better coming from me.”

 

He nods and leaves.

 

BEN

 

I bet it will sound better coming from you.  I dial a number.

 

                “Hello Liberty Airlines how may I help you…”

 

TORONTO

 

LINDZ & MEL’S HOUSE – LATE EVENING

 

MEL

 

                “Are you expecting anybody Lindz?”

 

                “No.”  She calls from the kitchen and then heads to the door with me wiping her hands.

 

We’re both surprised to see Ben on the doorstep.

 

                “Ben!  What the hell are you doing here is everything okay?”  Lindz cries pulling him indoors.

 

                “Papa!  Where’s dad, what are you doing here?”  Jenny comes barrelling down the stairs

 

                “Hey sweetheart, Mel, Lindz nothing bad is wrong with anyone but I needed to do this face to face.”

 

                “You and dad are splitting up aren’t you?”

 

We all whirl round to Jenny.

 

                “Come on let’s sit down, would you like a coffee or something considerably stronger, I would go with stronger as that is what I am going to have!”  I tell him

 

He nods and Lindz is just sitting there in shock I think.

 

                “What happened?”  Jenny asks.

 

                “To be honest I don’t know.   First let me assure you there is no one else in my life right now.  But when I got sick and the way he was with Hunter, I just couldn’t let…”

 

                “Let him hurt him anymore?  I’m not blind papa, I know you and Hunter are closer maybe dad just felt excluded.  After all he must love Hunter in some way after he did what he did to get us both college funds right?”

 

                “College fund?  For Hunter what’s this about?”  Lindz has come out of her stupor.

 

                “Client attorney privilege prevents me from saying anything.”

 

 I reply quickly and hope she leaves it there but I know Lindz all too well.

 

                “But Mel…”

 

                “Let’s focus on the matter in hand shall we?”  I state firmly.

 

                “Will, will I still see you?”  She asks quietly.

 

                “Every chance I get.  Nothing is going to stop me and Hunter from being in your life for as long as you let us, and it is your choice okay.  You can call us whenever you like we will never ever stop loving you, do you hear?”

 

She nods tearfully and I nod at Lindz that we should leave them alone.

 

                “Mel what the hell is Brian doing giving money to Hunter like that?”  Lindz snaps

 

                “I don’t know but it’s their money to decide to do with what they will…”

 

                “But he should’ve discussed it with me…”  She gripes

 

                “Uh why?”  I am confused.

 

                “Because I am Gus’s mother.” 

 

                “Okay but the money was for Hunter not Gus, so he discussed it with the people that mattered, so that will be Hunter, Michael, Ben and Justin…”

 

                “Justin what does Justin have to do with this?” 

 

I see she is on her roll again, I just want to shake her until the wasps in her head stop buzzing!

 

                “Because Justin is Brian’s partner that’s why.  Now let’s go make up a bed for Ben I am sure he’s tired.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS – LATE EVENING SAME TIME

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael as much as I love your company, why do we always meet here, why can’t we go to the poolhouse?” 

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “You okay you seem a little preoccupied?”

 

                “Oh nothing.  Well I spoke to Ben earlier and he says we should tell Jenny about us splitting up…”

 

                “He’s right though unless you think you are going to get back together?”

 

                “What oh no that won’t happen now that you are back in my life.”  He smiles.  “It’s just that Jenny will be so disappointed in him when he abandons her.”

 

                “Abandons her, what makes you think he will do that?”

 

                “Well look how quickly he moved on from me and threw me out of the house…”

 

                “At the risk of being the devil’s advocate with an agenda haven’t you done the same thing?  Moving on I mean?”

 

                “But at least I had the decency to wait until the marriage was done.”

 

I shrug and take another sip of wine, at least this time I am not wearing a good suit.  Now as much as I love a romantic setting for a meal, inside the comic book store is not my idea of romance but at least that statue is out of here for now, it took everything not to cry with laughter when he almost burst into tears when the arm broke!

 

                “Are you looking forward to Saturday meeting up with the old gang again?”  He asks.              “Why didn’t you want me to tell you about them, what they are up to I mean?”

 

                “I want to find out from them, have a conversation especially with Brian.” 

 

I smile smugly, it will be fun to see how he has grown up or in his case not from what Michael’s told me.

 

                “You’ll be surprised.”  He grins at me.

 

                “I still can’t believe that Justin and Brian are still together…”

 

                “Me neither.”  He mutters crossly

 

                “I could see the attraction with Brian for Justin but never the other way round…”

 

                “What do you mean?”  He asks somewhat sharply.

 

                “Well I have not kept up with any of their business but you have to admit that he was a very good looking boy.”

 

                “If you like that kind of thing.  So enough about them, you’ll find out everything you need to know on Saturday, so how were your meetings today?”

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

FAAL

 

                “Is there a contrite husband behind that floral garden?  If so he needs to come taste something.”

 

I put the flowers down and she’s holding an egg, it looks like a boiled egg.  I look at her hopefully.

 

                “Taste it.”

 

I take it from her and take a spoonful, I am in heaven, because it is scrambled egg with truffles and finely chopped asparagus….my “you’re forgiven” egg.

 

                “Oh my goodness, ooh my goodness this is good!” 

 

        “Does it need salt or black pepper or shall I just let them add it themselves?  And I will be doing it with duck scrambled if you don’t mind sharing?” 

 

She asks turning back to the papers in front of her.

 

                “Do nothing other than what you have done, my lig, it is perfect.”

 

I walk behind her and put my arms round her waist, she doesn’t move away and she’s given me food to eat this is good! 

 

                “I am truly sorry, I…”

 

My apology is stopped by her swiftly turning round and kissing me softly at first and then deepening it, I reach behind her to switch off the stove.

 

                “What did you do that for?”  She gasps when we come up for air and switches the burners back on.

 

                “I happen to like kissing you when there is no danger of you being scalded.”

 

 I reply nuzzling her neck.

 

                “Pfft!  Now taste this – I am not sure about it.”  She hands me what looks like a scotch egg.

 

                “Another egg dish?  Okay sorry am eating.”  I frown at her.

 

                “Yeah I wasn’t feeling that either, right that’s cut.  Oh check the wings for me, I am going for 3 levels of spice and I thought I would do an oxtail burger, though not tell them that until they eat it, obviously the lamb and a fish dish and have a vegan first course, because the rest are going to be rich and going to do the sorbet bomb you guys like and…”

 

She trails off when she notice my smile and predatory look.

 

                “Oh no, you got me into this dinner you are helping out.  Recipe testing then we fuck!”

 

I chuckle and like a good little sous chef get out the wings.

 

THE LOFT – WEDNESDAY NIGHT

 

HUNTER

 

Okay he screamed the place down and I don’t think I can’t feel anything below the waist.

 

                “So, uh, now what?”  I pant into his neck.

 

                “Ho-hold the condom at the base and slowly withdraw not letting go of it, tie it off and bin it.”

 

Slowly I do as he says and make my way to the bathroom on legs like jello, I can hear him chuckling.

 

                “I think we need water and we definitely need to change the sheets.”  He croaks.

 

He slowly turns over and sits up, it’s my turn to laugh as he’s not walking any better.  He takes the water from me and drains the rest.

 

                “That was awesome, thank you for being my first.”  He mumbles and then looks away.

 

                “You’re…your first?!  Oh wow, um are you okay, you sore?”

 

                “A bit.”  He admits.

 

                “Okay.  Let’s sort the bed, have a shower and I can take of your tender bits.”

 

He pulls me into the bedroom.

 

MEL & LINDZ HOUSE – THURSDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

                “Thanks for letting me stay I could’ve found a hotel.”

 

                “Don’t be silly Ben, you are Jenny’s papa.  What time’s your flight?”  Mel asks.

 

                “Not until 1230.  She’s taking it pretty well I think.”

 

                “To be honest I am not surprised that you have split.”

 

I am surprised at that.

 

                “Care to share?”

 

                “You started to fight back.  You started to call him on his shit, when he said that he wanted to look after Hunter’s money and you put your foot down you should’ve seen his face.  He was pissed I mean seriously fucked off.  And then that’s when I knew you would always look after Hunter and be like Brian, putting his son first so to have one person do it is one thing but two...”

 

                “He’s my boy and some of the…”

 

                “Yeah Jenny and Gus have been talking.  And I sometimes overhear.  Is it true about the loft, what Brian did?”

 

I nod and sigh

 

                “Why does he let everyone think he’s an asshole?”

 

                “It’s easier.  I think the only people that see him truly are Justin and Gus.”  I reply.

 

                “I see the true Peter all the time.” 

 

We are startled as we didn’t hear Lindz come in, she has a dreamy expression on her face.  We exchange glances, roll our eyes and say nothing.

 

KINNETIC – MID-MORNING THURSDAY

 

BRIAN

 

It has been a busy day, we had two client meetings, which of course we signed and I have been avoiding calls from Lindz not sure what she wants and I have no desire to find out.

 

I am interrupted by celebratory thoughts with Justin by Ted knocking on the door.

 

                “Got a minute?”  He asks.

 

I motion for him to sit down and he looks nervous.

 

                “Out with it.”

 

                “Well, I was just wondering how Ben was after you know…”

 

                “A lot better, why?”

 

                “Well it’s just that payment for the loan hasn’t arrived and I was wondering.”

 

                “He’s changed banks and told me he would pay it manually.”  I reassure him

 

He nods and releases the breath he’s been holding and leaves.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – THURSDAY EVENING

 

BEN

 

I am not going to make a big deal out of this.  He was most probably joking and trying to shock. 

 

I come into the house all ready to be cool dad and find him and Matt on the sofa with an ice pack between Hunter’s legs.

 

                “Hey son what happened?”

 

                “He broke it.”  He whimpered batting Matt’s hands from the ice pack.  “You have done enough!”

 

                “How?”

 

                “Look at him, he’s got a good 50 pounds on me!  In short, he bounced too hard during a reverse cowgirl!”  He snaps.

 

I fight the urge to laugh out loud.

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE – FRIDAY MORNING

 

ZEE

 

                “Okay let’s get shit done.”

 

Matt comes down looking disconsolate, Faal and I exchange glances and shrug.

 

                “I broke his dick okay!”  He yells and storms out.

 

By lunchtime it is round most of the family and unhelpful and embarrassing advice abounds.  Time to call in the cavalry.  I call Hunter and Matt to the loft and wait.  When the buzzer goes I let in my saviour.

 

                “Are there any noticeable bruises, is here blood in your piss, have you tried wanking?” 

 

Brian asks as only he can, they look at him dumbstruck.

 

                “You put ice on it immediately right?”

 

They nod.

 

                “So unless there is a bruise you haven’t ruptured it…this is where you go check!”

 

They shuffle off mortified but 10 minutes later they come back looking very pleased.

 

                “All in working order I assume, then my work here is done!”

 

Seriously love the bones of the guy never as much as Faal but like a brother. 

 

SATURDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

ZEE

 

                “Seriously you put your nose in that tub one more time!”

 

                “Neuken!”  He yelps

 

                “Ah channelling your Dutch side are we?  Though I have to admit fuck in Dutch does sound a lot better than in English.”

 

He wraps his arms round me and sighs happily. 

 

                “You have everything?” 

 

I nod and smile, he has no idea of what everything I have.

 

We head out having called the commis in advance, by which I mean Debbie and Emmett.  Faal in his naiveté mentioned to Emmett about the scrambled eggs and the next thing I knew he was “helping the prep”, well he can plot and scheme as much as he wants that’s one recipe he’s not getting that is for my boys alone.

 

Once we get to Britin, Justin is vibrating with pleasure, I have to stop him three times from hiding tubs of wings and cutlets and the “surprise box”.  In the end I have to threaten to use a hose on him to get him to behave.  I am not sure who it was that said he looks adorable when he pouts about food but they are right.

 

                “First things first, we need music.”  I say and dock my iPod.

 

They look warily at me but before long they are bopping their heads to 70s soul and funk.

 

                “Wow Debbie you wind those hips wind them!”  I whoop as Earth Wind and Fire blare out.

 

                “Emmett for the love of fucking God will you put the notebook away and just help I’ll tell you after!”

 

He has the good grace to look embarrassed.

 

                “Hey Alice did you get the troughs?”

 

She nods though looks confused.

 

                “Okay as much ice as you can and dump it outside its cold enough for it to keep.  And the envelopes”

 

Again she nods.

 

                “So I think it would be best if we reverse the seating to what we normally do, so with Brian and Justin the other end so that you and I can do the plating and Deb can corral a certain blond gourmand deal?”

 

                “I was going to…”

 

                “We’re family and you and George are in this little melee, so put on your fancy duds got it?”

 

She sniffs and then muttering about troughs leaves.

 

                “Justin put that back!  I will call Brian I swear to God, seriously where the hell do you put it!”

 

I gripe as I wrangle him into the seat and the box out of his hands.

 

                “But it smells so good!” 

 

                “Oh for fuck sake Faal!”  I bellow.

 

He strolls in chuckling.

 

                “I told you, the moment I said stuffed wings his eyes got real big.”

 

                “Shut up!  Okay if it gets you to behave you can have a taster…”

 

I find myself engulfed in the arms of happy blond and happy caterer.  Once extracted I shake my head ruefully and set up the taster plate.  Even though I am bolshy I am anxious, Emmett is a caterer for fuck sake I cook for the fun of it.  My nerves aren’t being helped when Brian walks in.

 

                “What are you doing, we are eating…what’s that?”  He picks up a crystal roll and bites down.

 

                “Brian you aren’t part of the…”  Justin is stopped when Brian puts the rest of the roll in his mouth.

 

He turns to me and just grins and nods furiously and I turn to Emmett who is grinning equally hard.

 

                “I am not sure about the salt in the stuffing, can’t quite get that right.”

 

I mutter but then I hear the moans of appreciation so I relax and when Faal pulls me back into his chest, I know it is going to be okay…at least food wise.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hold the cab for a minute, it won’t take me long.”

 

I dash into the house and as luck would have it there is a tray of ziti thawing on the side, she must have forgotten to put it in the fridge, so I grab that, I am not sure what Zee is preparing and when people don’t like it then its Michael to the rescue!

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

There has to be an alternate universe where there is a massive sized Justin somewhere, if there isn’t then that’s just not right.  I head downstairs the family won’t be here for 90 minutes or so and I can hear the low hum of something lyrical.  Justin is standing by the entrance way to the kitchen and shushes me before I can say a word, I look at what he’s staring at and my jaw drops.  Now I don’t get straight love but I know love when I see it. 

 

                “Who’s singing?”  I whisper

 

                “Millie Jackson…Feeling Like a Woman.”  Justin replies.  “Seriously just look at that.”

 

To look at them you would think nothing is happening they are just dancing but if you know them you know they are singing to each other and moving as one.

 

                “The air just moves round them.  It’s amazing.”  He sighs.

 

I pull him into my arms and nod.  I feel a tinge of jealousy at their ease around each other but that is because of my own insecurities but I am overcoming them, the only man who was a father figure was Vic and now it is Carl and I so grateful.

 

                “I think we should um…”

 

I nod and pull him away from the door as they start to kiss.

 

We head to the lounge and then the next song comes up.

 

                “What is this?”  I chuckle nibbling his neck.

 

                “A-another Mill-Millie Jackson song…listen.”  He murmurs.

 

                “Where you going?”  I pout.

 

                “Listen.”

 

He heads to the console and turns up the volume and comes back into my arms

 

When I get home, babe

Gonna light your fire

All day, I've been thinkin' about you, babe

You're my one desire

Gonna wrap my arms around you

Hold you close to me

Oh, babe, I wanna taste your lips

I wanna fill your fantasy, yeah

 

I don't what I'd do without you, babe

Don't know where I'd be

You're not just another lover

No, you're everything to me

Every time I'm with you, baby

I can't believe it's true

When you're layin' in my arms

And you do the things you do

 

And I am kissing him now.

 

You can see it in my eyes

I can feel it in your touch

You don't have to say a thing

Just let me show how much

Love you, need you, yeah

 

And helping him out of his pants

 

I wanna kiss you all over

And over again

I wanna kiss you all over

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in


Stay with me, lay with me

Holding me, loving me, baby

Here with me, near with me

Feeling you close to me, baby


So show me, show me ev'rything you do

'Cause baby, no one does it quite like you

Love you, need you, oh babe

 

And I am sucking him off and he’s making those little mewling noises that I love so much.


I wanna kiss you all over

And over again

I wanna kiss you all over

 

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

 

I am not sure when the song ended but I do know that I ended up with Justin gasping and shuddering in my arms and once again I have cum on his leg.

 

                “We need to clean up, have a shower and get us some Millie Jackson.”  He croaks.

 

I just nod and tug him up on his feet.  As we pass the kitchen I see that it is empty, I was wondering where they went when I heard a whimper and soft begging…the mud room got it.

 

1 HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

I am watching the chefs at work and marvel at them, Justin has been relegated to the far side of the kitchen because he kept taking food off the platters and Lilah is with him…neither are happy.  Zee takes pity on them and puts a plate on the floor for Lilah and give Justin a wing…a small one.

 

Suddenly some rap [or crap if I am being honest] comes on, apparently it’s called In Da Club, but all those thoughts are dispelled as Zee, Faal, Matt and Hunter have a dance off…and Zee and Faal are declared the winners.  Then I Just Had Sex follows, seriously this is a song, and everyone dedicates it to me until they actually listen to the words and dedicate it to Faal instead.

 

                “Okay what else?”

 

                “How hard do you want it big guy?”  Faal asks.

 

                “As hard as Justin wants.”

 

                “Weak very weak.  So Emmett, Justin shall we show our boys what time it is…”  Zee asks

 

She brushes me aside and selects a song then joins them in front of the stove.  For the next five or so minutes there is nothing but the music and hip shaking and swirling, bottom wiggling and air fucking to, what turns out to be, It’s Like That by Memphis Bleek I don’t care who it is all I know is that he had better be doing that every weekend!

 

                “What the hell are you guys doing?”  Our joy is crushed by the whine of Michael…great!

 

Everyone whirls to face him.

 

                “Hi uh sweetheart when did you get here? And what is that did you cook?”  Debs asks

 

Michael smiles and nods.

 

                “Just in case.”  He smirks.

 

Zee doesn’t react and neither does David…interesting.

 

                “Alright enough ass shaking…everyone to the dining room.”  Zee states

 

                “I need to heat this up first.”  Michael says.

 

                “Okay put it in the back oven in the mud room, I am using everything in here.”

 

I smile inwardly as Alice ignores him when he tries to give her the dish.  We all head to the dining room and we are astonished.  There is a beautiful arrangement down the centre and then curling round plates, there is a lot of greenery and glass buds with something or other in them not sure what they are.

 

                “This looks gorgeous!”  Jennifer sighs.

 

                “Well dig in!”  Faal says.

 

We all look at him.

 

                “First course.”  He explains taking up a bud of glass.  “Take it gently okay?”

 

                “This is all edible?”  Blake is, I do believe, drooling.

 

                “Yep, if you are scared try the salad.”  Faal explains walking round the table to something wrapped in orange.

 

For the next 20 minutes there is only the sounds of appreciation and wonderment.  Before we know it the table is bare and Zee and Alice are gone. 

 

                “Uh Brian I notice you have at least four of the crystal rolls on your plate…”  Carl teases.

 

                “Yes and you will also notice I have a Justin to my side…and I like my creature comforts.”

 

Everyone chuckles before raucous laughter ensues when he takes 3 of the rolls off my plate.  Everyone except Michael who didn’t try one thing…oh well his loss.

 

Faal and Alice come back in with envelopes that they hand to each of us with strict instructions not to open them yet…I take Justin’s away from him.  .

 

                “Well that’s novel…”  Michael snarks.  “Alice can you check on the ziti?”

 

                “No.”  George replies.  “You bought it you check it.”

 

We all watch as he leaves after throwing George a filthy look.

 

                “So everyone tell me what have you been up to, let’s…”

 

                “Oh that reminds me, why were you at my house David?  I was unfortunately out so I missed you.”  Emmett asks sweetly.

 

                “Your…”

 

                “Yes apparently you were after Michael, which struck me as strange as Drew and I live there and Michael had left that morning permanently.”  He continues as if he hasn’t spoken.  “I run a very successful catering business and of course you know Drew Boyd, ex-Ironman and my sweetie.”

 

He just nods and we hear a clang and cursing.

 

                “Well David, as you may know I’m Ben, Michael’s soon to be ex-husband.  I am a professor at Carnegie Mellon.  That’s Hunter down there and his boyfriend Matt, they met through Gus.”

 

They all go down the table and nods and starts to look increasingly annoyed.

 

                “So Justin tell me what you’ve been up to over the last few years?”  He asks

 

                “Painting.  I have had shown in New York, Paris, London and all over the world in fact and I have a perspective here at the end of the month.”

 

                “Just…Justin Taylor that’s you?”

 

He nods and tries to get the envelope off me, I bat away his hand again.

 

                “Ah I see, this is a beautiful house, you must…”  David begins

 

                “It is.  I still cannot believe Brian bought it for me…”

 

                “Brian bought it?”

 

                “Yes, you know that little agency that Ted works for well its mine called Kinnetic.  Justin stop you are not having it!”

 

                “Kin…”

 

                “We met during the week, remember David, Matt is the son I was telling you about and that beautiful woman with the eggs, trust me guys you will love them, is my wife and his mother Zee.”

 

We all wait with bated breath trying to gauge his reaction…nothing not a damn thing.

 

Faal tries again.

 

                “She runs a security operation called Stark Securities.”

 

                “Your part of the Stark family.   We die first, that’s you?”  David is gobsmacked.

 

Zee nods and waits, still nothing, she and I exchange glances and then she takes the floor.

 

                “Right before we start the mid-course, what did you think of the first?”

 

There are calls of approval and she looks so relieved.

 

                “What did you think you were eating?”

 

                “Definitely the shroom crystal rolls…seriously stealing.”  Emmett calls out.

 

                “Open envelopes.”

 

I stare at the menu card inside and hear Ben chuckle.

 

                “Vegan?  That was vegan?”  He asks.

 

                “Boiled eggs?  How novel.”  Michael has finally returned.

 

                “How’s your ziti?  Are you sure you don’t want to try anything?”  She asks sweetly.

 

He shakes his head and takes his seat back next to David.

 

                “Right, with the eggs they are already cracked so lift the lids and tell me what you smell?”

 

The room is filled with the heady mixture of egg and something else, something woody and rich. 

 

                “Justin, put the spoon down!”  Faal calls out.  “You have to guess first.  Quiet Emmett yes.”

 

Ah so my little gourmand was not here for this little treat.

 

                “I know that smell, oh my God truffles!”  Jennifer cries out.  “White or black?”

 

                “Black, I thought it would go better with the duck egg…now come on dig in.”

 

                “Hunter, try Matt’s first.”  Faal suggests and Hunter nods and then starts to eat his own.

 

The egg is scrambled perfectly and with the asparagus to offset it and the truffles it is perfection.  Justin is looking hopeful.

 

                “Next time eat slower.”  I tell him as I savour my egg.

 

                “Want in my ass give me some egg.”  He mutters reaching across.

 

                “Justin, there are fixings in the fridge, leave Brian’s alone!”  Alice calls down.

 

Everyone chuckles, well mostly everyone.

 

                “Again stealing.”  Emmett says between bites.

 

                “No, Emmett you are not, these are special so please leave these alone.”  Faal fixes him a stare.

 

Emmett nods and raises his glass in acquiescence.

 

                “Uh Debbie can you help with the main course, Carl you are on wrangling duties.  Use handcuffs if needs be.”  Alice teases looking at Justin

 

                “I am beginning to feel picked on!”  He pouts

 

                “Who was on the naughty stool earlier was that me or was that you and Lilah?”  She replies.

 

He pokes his tongue out at her.  We wait for about 10 minutes for them to come back with the main course and the envelopes.  There are cutlets, wings, some sort of meat and, judging by the winding at my feet, a fish dish.  Zee heads my way with a small plate with some food on it.

 

                “You’re owned Kinney suck it up.”  She snickers.

 

I scoot Lilah gently out and put the plate in the corner and the music and her purring compete for loudness.

 

We dig into the main course and it is heaven.  The wings are stuffed with a rice salad of some sort and some kid of vegetable, the burger meat is soft and unctuous and I could eat that on its own and then there are the cutlets…perfectly pink though I lend some serious consideration to moving to the other end of the table so I can stop Justin from stealing from my plate.

 

                “Justin, again in the fridge, let the man eat!”  Alice chides

 

Michael is eating his ziti and David is refusing to have any of it, preferring the food that Zee has prepared, I have to admit it doesn’t smell the way that Debbie’s normally does.

 

                “Uh honey, anything I can take from this?”  Emmett asks.

 

                “Again no.”  Faal replies

 

                “Shit.”  Emmett mutters.

 

Once the mains are done, she brings in a little palate cleanser of a light salad and some ice cold limoncello, I catch the look Hunter gives Ben and the small nod.

 

                “Went down okay?”  She asks

 

                “Ek het jou gesê dit sal perfek wees en dit is nou ontspan.”

 

David looks at Faal and smiles.  We all look at him surprise.

 

                “Did you understand what he just said?”  I ask

 

                “Huh no, but you can tell reassurance in any language.”

 

                “I said I told you it would be perfect and it is now relax.”  Faal translates.

 

 “Okay this is for the burger only…what do you think it was?  You can’t say beef because that was obvious what part of the cow?”

 

Various shouts of flank, shin and other cuts abound but all were denied.

 

                “Open.”

 

                “Oxtail!  As in the cow’s tail.”  Debbie looks surprised.

 

She nods warily.

 

                “So where would I get this and can you show me how to do it?”

 

She nods happily.

 

                “To epicurean perfection!”  Justin stands and raises his glass and we all do the same.

 

                “Okay we need big strong uns for this one…I think Ben, Steve, David and Drew if you please.”

 

Zee drags them outside, whilst Debbie and Alice clear the table and then come back in with a burlap cloth…I say nothing but make a mental note to burn that later.

 

                “Mikey so now he’s out of earshot how are things with the good doctor?”  I ask him.

 

                “Oh great it’s wonderful to be free in all aspects of your life.”  He says looking round the table.

 

I am not sure who wants to kill him first, Debs, Carl, Matt, Jennifer or me.  Before we can say anything the door opens and the boys come in with two long covered troughs they put them on the table and the girls follow with what looks like plates of sorbet before heading out again and coming in with chocolate sauce, warm chocolate sauce, I see Justin’s eyes start to glaze over.

 

                “About a 10 mile run…”  I sigh loudly.

 

                “Or two hours with Justin.”  Ted snickers.

 

The dark look I cast him stops the snickering, but then I grin and nod and he raises his glass.  Zee brings our attention back to her by clearing her throat.

 

                “Okay everyone you need to stand for this course, Michael are you joining us, you are oh good.  Right this is important, what’s in the troughs is liquid nitrogen, under no circumstances are you to get that on your skin, Matt will demonstrate what you need to do, seriously it will hurt like a mother fucker.”

 

We watch as he gently spoons up the sorbet dunks it in the chocolate and quickly in the trough then in less than 30 seconds later takes it out and slides it onto his plate before slicing into it and handing the spoon to Hunter.

 

                “Holy…oh God what is that?”  He turns to Zee.

 

                “You have to guess now come on people get dunking!”

 

The dessert course is spent tasting, groaning and laughing when sorbets disappear into the trough.  Alice quietly reassures a devastated Justin that again, more in the freezer, I help him with his second one and I do I get any of it…of course not.  Michael ends up sharing David’s because he dropped 2 in and Justin is in no mood to share.

 

Eventually this too comes to an end and the boys head out to drain the troughs under Zee’s supervision and they join us in the lounge.  And I notice that everyone finds their usual spots, when the fuck did that happen?

 

                “Okay start guessing.”  Zee calls out from her spot by the fireplace.  “All except Emmett!”

 

We all chuckle at his pout.

 

                “Orange, one was definitely orange.”  Michael calls out

 

                “Nope no orange.”  Zee answers smirking.

 

Various fruits are shouted most of which are rejected.

 

                “Cherry, strawberry, tangelo, blueberry and Sharon fruit.  All mixed with a complimentary liqueur.”

 

She stretches and kisses Faal under his chin.

 

                “Time for coffee.”  She says getting up with Alice and Debbie following.

 

                “Time for you three ladies to sit down and let someone else do it.”  Carl is firm.  “Brian, Justin, Faal, Emmett, Ben come with me it’s the least we can do.”

 

                “It takes 6 of you to make coffee?”  Michael snarks.

 

                “Yes.”  Ben snaps as we head out.

 

As we congregate in the kitchen we all look at each other.

 

                “Either he is the greatest actor of all time or we are missing something.”  Faal says.

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m not sure what she put in that ziti but it really didn’t taste like she normally makes it.

 

JUSTIN

 

We head back with the coffee and I decide to try something.

 

                “So David how’s Hank?”

 

He sighs heavily.

 

                “Well to be honest we’re not talking, I made a mistake a few years back and he’s having difficulties forgiving me but I will get there.”

 

He rubs his face before looking at his watch.

 

                “Is it that time already, I have an early flight tomorrow so have to be leaving now, it was a great evening.  Michael are you coming or staying?”

 

                “He’s going with you.  We’ll call the service”

 

 I reply on Michael’s behalf knowing he’ll be thinking he can get me back…oh no Zephyr I have been waiting years for this and when the time comes Cerberus will be using your spine as a chew toy.

 

I show them out grimacing at the odour that seems to hang around Michael.

 

DAVID

 

Well I didn’t expect that, everyone seems to have moved on in their lives except Michael, which should make getting the stuff easier. Brian and Justin have grown into their relationship and I have to admit that I liked Faal and Zee, they seem a very nice couple, and very much in love.  And Hunter and Ben aren’t as Michael described them.  Have to admit to being disappointed that Michael didn’t try the food but he’s always been resistant to change.  I hear a groan and Michael is clutching his stomach.

 

                “Michael are you okay, what…”

 

Before I can finish I find my lap covered in vomit.

 

DEBBIE

 

                “So what do you think?”

 

                “Not sure certificate wise but from a “me” point of view, he had no clue I think.  But I got the impression he was not too happy with Michael.” 

 

Zee replies.  We all nod and sip our coffee before Zee clears her throat and stands up.

 

                “Okay so I am glad you had a great dinner but I need to give some of you guys keys.  Jennifer these are for you. Hunter, Matt and my darling Faal these are for you.”

 

She hands them round and sits down, the boys and Jennifer look confused before Faal speaks.

 

                “The house is done.”  Faal breathes looking at the keys.

 

She nods and then groans as he crushes her in a hug.

 

                “What are these for?”  Jennifer

 

                “To the brownstone.  We are moving out on Monday.  I want to sell it or rent it so Madam Realtor go do your stuff.”

 

                “And these?”  Hunter asks.

 

                “Keys to the house.  Ben and I have already talked so don’t even okay.  Just to be clear, we’re not saying move in but afford us the same courtesy you do Brian and Justin with the loft okay?”

 

He blinks rapidly and hugs them both and then hugs his dad.

 

My phone rings, it’s a panicked David, Michael is being sick.  He never ate anything of Zee’s so I ask him to find out what he put in the ziti.  He says Michael has no idea because he took it from my house.  I tell him to tell Michael to drink lots of fluids and stay in bed, I will be round tomorrow with some chicken soup.

 

When I hang up I am laughing so hard I can’t catch my breath.

 

                “Uh Red…”

 

                “The z-z-ziti that Michael ate was the one tha-that I was going to throw out and i-i-it made him sick.  He puked up all over David in the car and almost shit his pants…”

 

Britin rocks to the foundations at the sound of our laughter.

 

 

It doesn’t take a genius to realise that they have missed something.  Now that something is huge…and unexpected.

Chapter 14 by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

Another long chapter, but it had to be done.  I hope to wrap this up in 2/3 chapters.

CHAPTER 14 – GREEN EYES ONLY LOOK GOOD ON BRIAN KINNEY

 

DINER – TUESDAY MID MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

                “I can’t believe how ill I felt.”  I moan to Ma.

 

I notice Carl look away in what seems to be amusement.

 

                “Well honey why’d you take the ziti in the first place, you knew that Zee was cooking.”

 

I shrug but before I can answer Brian and Justin come in, they grab the empty booth and Kiki takes their order.   Justin is on one side and Brian is stretched out on the other but before I could sit down ma reminds me to take my water and mint tea.  By the time I turn back Emmett has arrived and is sitting next to Brian who has his head resting against the wall.

 

                “Hey, how you feeling Mikey?”  Brian asks tiredly without opening his eyes.

 

                “Not great, a bit like you, bit late for you isn’t it?”  I ask sitting next to Justin.

 

                “Late night and someone needs the food that only this place serves.”  He replies his eyes still closed.

 

                “Hard night you mean?”  Emmett asks.

 

Justin giggles and beams at Brian who smirks back again without opening his eyes, I try not to roll my mine

 

                “You could say that.  Emmy Lou you could definitely say that.” 

 

                “Can we get the dish back?”  Ma asks squeezing in next to me.

 

                “That’s what I meant to ask you why you would bring the ziti in the first place, you missed out on some excellent food.  Seriously my girl can cook!  Shame about the truffled eggs and the main courses, Faal is firm on that and when he speaks people…”  Emmett starts

 

                “What does it have to do with him?”  I ask.

 

                “He’s her husband and…”  Justin starts to explain

 

                “Husband not master if she wants to give Emmett…” 

 

Emmett cuts me off.

 

                “No, again you misunderstand, he doesn’t want to share them with the whole world because they are special for them.  Do you know that’s his “you’re forgiven egg”.  Oh those wings and the oxtail…all that rich luscious meat was from the tail?  Did she say when she’s going to show you how to do the stew, Deb, I want to watch.” 

 

                “Can we not talk about food?  My stomach is still a bit delicate.”

 

And besides I would rather not hear how great Zee and Faal are right now.

 

                “You’re in a diner.  Not a place I would be if I was feeling food phobic.”  Justin smirks.

 

Just then Kiki arrives with their order.  And whilst Brian has just a coffee, Justin has ordered bacon, hash browns and an egg sunny side up and seems to take great pleasure in cracking into the yolk.

 

                “Excuse me ma, I need air!” 

 

I practically shove her out the booth and run out of the diner, I breathe deeply and wait for the queasiness to settle.

 

BRIAN

 

“Sheath those claws little tiger.”  I chide Justin

 

He looks at me like butter wouldn’t melt and swirls his hash brown into the yolk, offering it to me and I slowly lick the yolk off my lips, he blinks at me and replicates the action…I shift in my seat.

 

                “So what you boys up to today?”  Debbie asks coming back with coffee and water.

 

                “Have to do some work on my perspective and since Emmett is catering it we thought we would meet to brainstorm before I head back to the studio.”  Justin explains

 

I tap Emmett to get him to move and after sneaking the last hash brown off his plate and winking at his pout I head out.

 

                “Where you going Brian?”  Michael calls.

 

I am surprised he was still there.

 

                “Work Michael, I have to keep Justin in the manner to which he has become accustomed.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ll bet you do I think to myself.  I head back inside and retake my seat.

 

                “So what time’s your flight baby?”  Emmett asks.

 

                “At five.”  Justin mumbles sipping his coffee.  “The joys of NYC call.”  He explains to Ma.

 

                “Oh you going to be gone long?” 

 

                “Only a couple of days.  Look I have to go, Emmett, we’ll have to talk later okay.”

 

He kisses ma and Emmett and then is gone.  Suddenly I feel much better.

 

ZEE & FAAL’S NEW HOUSE – AKA THE TREE HOUSE

 

FAAL

 

I can’t believe how beautiful my home is.  We still have a shit load of unpacking to do but that is mostly clothes, she’s left the brownstone furnished.

 

                “Boys stop making out and come have a drink!”  I bellow up the stairs.

 

There is a significant pause before they come downstairs grinning.

 

                “Try not to christen anything until we are out of the house yes.”  I tease them

 

                “You are not fucking in my kitchen!”  Zee calls out.  “Seriously will nail your nuts with a knife!”

 

She comes into the lounge with a tray with champagne, beer and glasses.

 

                “Help yourselves boys.  Ben, Steve come on have a drink with us you’ve earned it!”  She calls out.

 

They come in and take a beer each, Matt and Steve reach for champagne…of course.

 

                “Seriously this place is just beautiful.  What made you do that to the trees?”  Steve asks

 

                “I don’t know.  But I think they work.”  She replies stroking the rug absentmindedly.

 

                “You think it works!  Mom are you kidding this place is gorgeous!” 

 

She smiles then seems to drift off a bit.

 

                “What is it?  You don’t seem as excited as the rest of us?”  I ask.

 

                “Oh nothing, it’s nothing don’t worry.  I am excited, maybe a little tired.”  She replies

 

The boys exchange looks and Matt casts his eyes upwards, taking their cue Ben and Steve say their goodbyes and it is just the two of us.

 

                “Come on what is it, you have been looking forward to moving in here for months and now we are here, you can barely raise a smile.”

 

                “I know I shouldn’t bring him up now but we are missing something about Cameron and it’s bugging the shit out of me!  It’s like an unreachable itch!  She grouses.

 

                “Let me put in some calls.  I’m with you we are missing something.”

 

                “Thanks sweetheart.”  She snuggles into my chest.  “I think we should light a fire don’t you?”

 

                “Literally or figuratively?”  I ask.

 

                “Both.”  She replies.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally the last customer has gone and I make the call, I get his voicemail.

 

                “Hey Brian it’s me.   Are you ready for some best friend time?  I know you are going to be by yourself now that Bo... Justin has gone to NYC so let me know what time to get there.”

 

I lock up the store and head upstairs to wait for the call.  After about an hour I decide to head to Woody’s and am surprised to see Brian and Justin, I sit down and Brian is ignoring me.

 

                “What are you guys doing here?  I thought you were in NYC?  Didn’t you get my message Brian?  Brian?”

 

                “Having a drink, not until next Thursday and Brian is on the phone Michael and has been for the last hour or so.”  Justin sighs looking ruefully at Ted who was also on the phone speaking rapidly.

 

                “Thank fuck that’s over, well done Ted nice negotiating!  Oh hey Mikey is your stomach feeling better?”  He asks.

 

                “Oh yeah much thanks.  Want a drink?”

 

He shake his head at me and pulls Justin up from his seat.

 

                “I’m beat, Justin you’re driving tonight in every sense of the word.  Good night Mikey.”

 

                “But Brian I…”

 

And they are gone. 

 

                “Why do you look like someone’s kicked your puppy?”  Ted’s voice interrupts my thoughts.

 

                “I was hoping to spend some time with Brian but he doesn’t seem to have time for me anymore.” 

 

Ted snorts into his drink.

 

                “Why the snort?”  I demand.

 

                “Michael ever since David came back on the scene you been off radar and now he’s gone back to Portland you suddenly remember us.  You don’t get to play the abandoned friend card.”

 

                “That’s not true!”  I protest.

 

                “Yes it is.”  Ted replies calmly.  “And another thing, I thought you were rude…”

 

                “Rude when was I rude to you?  I haven’t even…”

 

                “Spoken to me, yeah I know.  That’s not what I meant, you were rude to bring the food on Saturday so it serves you right that you got a karmic ass kicking.”

 

                “Ted!  Where’s this coming from?”

 

                “You really don’t see the hurt you cause do you?” 

 

                “What hurt, when have I hurt you, is this because I am with David, are you jealous of that?”

 

                “I watched you dry hump David at the dinner, you didn’t care that Ben and Hunter were sitting there having to watch that display.”

 

                “He’s with Steve now!”

 

                “You really need to concentrate when people talk about stuff other than you, comics and Brian.  Steve is not with Ben he’s bisexual and the only relationship they have is friendship!”

 

                “Ted, why are you ripping me a new asshole for fuck sake?”  I growl.

 

                “Because you deserve it especially the way you treated Debbie after she fainted.”

 

                “I didn’t do anything to ma…”

 

                “Exactly, no flowers, no checking up on her, you did nothing!”

 

                “If you keep talking to me like that Ted we are going to fall out!”  I warn him.

 

                “Too late!”  He snaps and turns and leaves.

 

TED

 

Well I feel so much better for saying that.  I can’t believe how blinkered I have been to Michael’s actions and comments, the things he said about Justin and Hunter were hideously cruel.  I don’t think I can ever see him in the same light again and it makes me wonder what he would’ve said if Ben hadn’t stopped him in Woody’s the last time but it looks like I never have to listen to the whining asshole ever again. 

 

EMMETT

 

Wow just wow, how long has Teddy being storing that ass whipping up for?  Michael looks shell-shocked but I don’t have a jot of sympathy for him.  I am praying that he hasn’t seen me and just goes home.  Seems that my prayers are not to be answered.

 

                “Hey Ems, did you hear Ted?  Can you believe how he just spoke to me?”  He whines.

 

                “What do you want me to say Michael?  He’s right you were rude to bring the food, you were uncaring to Debbie and unnecessarily demonstrative in front of Ben and Hunter…and before you say that Ben and Steve are together trust me they are not.  Now I have to go.”

 

I pat him on the shoulder and leave.

 

MICHAEL

 

I head back to the store and notice the Vette is parked by the loft and someone is coming out the door, I just about manage to catch it before it closes.

 

                “Excuse me sir?” 

 

I look up in surprise at a desk clerk.

 

                “Can I help you?” 

 

                “No thanks I’m fine.” 

 

I head to the lift and push the button to call the lift, nothing happens.

 

                “You need a lift key sir do you have one?” 

 

        “Oh, no I don’t.  I’ll take the stairs then.”

 

        “I’m sorry sir but I can’t allow you to do that.  Unless you have a key to the building and the lift you can’t take the stairs…”

 

        “Look Brian…”

 

        “There is no resident called Brian that lives here sir; I’m afraid I am going to have to ask you to leave.”

 

I glower at him and hold my ground.

 

        “Brian Kinney owns the top loft and I’m his best friend!  I am going up there, now excuse me!”

 

        “As I said he’s not a resident here, but if you give me your name I can see if you’re on the approved visitors list.” 

 

        “Michael Novotny Bruckner.”  I drum my fingers on the desk.

 

He shakes his head.

 

                “Sorry sir, your name is not on there.  So if you please?”

 

He stands and comes round the desk then takes me firmly by the elbow escorts me out.  I am furious and immediately call Brian and of course Justin picks up.

 

                “Justin put Brian on!”  I demand.

 

                “Can’t he’s in the shower.  Will get him to call you back Michael.”

 

                “Can you at least let me in I need to talk to him!”  I snap.

 

                “Let you in?”  He sighs and after a beat says “I can’t see you.”

 

                “I’m outside Justin just open the fucking door!”

 

                “Not the way to gain entry Michael.”  He snarks.

 

I grimace and take a deep breath.

 

                “What is it Michael?”  Brian’s asks.

 

                “Finally can you let me in I need to talk to you.  Brian are you listening…hello?”

 

I can hear laughing, the sounds of hands being slapped away and a squeal.

 

                “Brian can you just let me in.  You can fuck Justin later!”  I yell.

 

                “Actually, he’s the one going to be doing the fucking…”

 

Again more giggling and the sound of kissing.  A wave of white anger flashes over me and I storm across the street and start leaning on the buzzer.

 

                “I am not going away until you answer the door!  Let me in Brian!  I have to talk to you!” 

 

Suddenly a voice booms from the intercom.

 

                “This isn’t Brian’s fucking loft, now get your hand of my bell or I call the police!”

 

The desk clerk comes to the door and I back off.  I stare at the phone and become aware of the groaning coming from the other end.  I can’t believe they’re fucking whilst he’s on the phone to me.  How dare he?  How dare he disrespect me like that?!

 

DINER – NEXT DAY – MID-MORNING

 

                “Morning Kiki”

 

                “Morning Michael, what will it be?”

 

                “Just coffee.”

 

                “Just coffee what?”  She asks.

 

I look up in confusion.

 

                “How about please and thank you?”  She asks tapping her notepad.

 

                “What is it pick on Michael week?  Please may I have a cup of coffee thanks, is that better?”

 

She shakes her head and turns away. 

 

                “Hi Brian, what no Sunshine today?”

 

                “Nope he’s painting.  Good morning Michael, so what was so important last night?”

 

I look at him coldly as he joins me at the counter.

 

                “Are you actually kidding me with that question?” 

 

                “Nope.  One minute you were desperate to speak to me the next you’d gone.”

 

                “I was gone!  I wanted to talk to you about the way Ted had behaved earlier and you thought fucking was more important!”  I whisper harshly and fold my arms.  “Well?”

 

                “Well what?”  He asks.

 

Before I could answer Emmett and Ted arrive and grab a booth, on spotting them Brian joins them.

 

                “Are you joining us Michael?”  Emmett asks whilst Ted says nothing.

 

I join them ending up sitting next to Emmett and I glower at both Brian and Ted.

 

                “Good morning, how are we all?” 

 

Faal plonks down next to Ted and signals coffee to Kiki and then orders a mint tea.

 

                “For Zee, she will be here soon, give the tea about 5 minutes yes Miss K?”  He asks

 

Kiki nods and flutters off smiling.

 

                “Morning all, how are – what’s wrong?”  Zee slides in next to me and looks round the booth.

 

                “No idea ask Michael.”  Brian sighs

 

She turns and looks at me and cocks an eyebrow and nudges me.

 

                “The quicker you say the quicker we can resolve the problem.”

 

I see Ted roll his eyes.

 

                “Well let’s start with I had a terrible evening thanks to Ted and wanted to speak to my best friend, who thought that fucking was more important than helping me…”

 

                “Helping you with what?”  She asks.

 

                “Trying to work out why Ted felt it was necessary to rip me a new asshole in Woody’s!”

 

                “You needed a new one ripped.”  Ted replies calmly.  “And I gave you my reasons for doing so.  Like I said last night if we have fallen out so be it, my life will go on.”

 

I see the looks exchanged between Zee, Faal and Brian.  Emmett was staring at Ted in amazement.

 

                “Okay, um thanks uh Ted.  So why are you mad at Brian then?”  Faal for once looks confused.

 

                “He thought fucking was more important than letting me in and talking this through!”

 

                “I can’t let in someone who is not outside!”  Brian snaps

 

                “I was outside!”  I snap back

 

                “No you weren’t, Justin couldn’t see you and when I checked you weren’t there…”

 

I ball my fists and take deep breaths.

 

                “I was! I was screaming and shouting outside!  I even had the supreme joy of listening to you go at it for 10 minutes, how could you disrespect me like that, it was bad enough that the fucking desk clerk wouldn’t let me take the stairs but for you to just…”

 

                “Desk…Michael where were you last night?”  Brian is beginning to smirk and I hate him right now.

 

                “The loft.  I saw the Vette…”

 

                “We were at Britin last night.” 

 

                “No you didn’t and you were disrespectful.”  Zee retorts

 

                “What, wait, you said that Justin was driving…”

 

                “His car.  I left mine at the loft to collect this morning.  Justin had canvases.”  He explains.

 

I could feel the blush creeping up my neck and Ted shakes his head.

 

                “What do you mean I was disrespectful?”  I ask her.

 

                “Isn’t it obvious?  You didn’t have to listen to them going at it as you say.  Clearly they got distracted and you were forgotten, the question is why didn’t you hang up when you realised?  Surely you’ve watched enough porn and are aware of his passion for Justin?  Seriously to listen for 10 minutes is just plain creepy.”  Faal shudders.

 

                “I-I…”  I stammer

 

Ted wipes his mouth and puts some money down.

 

                “See you at work Bri, excuse me Faal.” 

 

                “Actually Ted wait up.”  Brian calls out and they are gone.

 

BRIAN

 

                “So asshole ripping needs to be added to your resume then?”

 

Ted smiles and shrugs.

 

                “Had to be done.  After what he said and did I just can’t…”  He trails off.  “You know he was spouting off about me in Woody’s and if it hadn’t been for Ben…”

 

                “You’re a good man Theodore, and I am proud of you.” 

 

He stops walking and I turn to face him.

 

                “Come Ted our…”

 

                “But you don’t trust me enough do you?”  He asks

 

I am momentarily thrown by his question and pause.

 

                “Of course I do, we do, for fuck sake you’re our personal accountant what wrong; I would advise against ripping me a new asshole though…”

 

                “On Saturday it felt like I was missing out on something and…”

 

                “I see, let’s walk and talk.”  I reply

 

DINER

 

EMMETT

 

                “You what Michael?  What possible excuse do you have?” 

 

                “I thought they were in the loft and was trying to get in, which is where the 10 minutes came in.  I didn’t mean I was listening to them for 10 minutes.”

 

                “Uh huh.  Screaming and shouting but still able to hear your best friend fucking.”  Faal mumbles

 

Michael is fiddling with his cutlery with a mutinous expression on his face, this does not bode well.  He’s going to do something stupid again I can feel it.

 

FAAL

 

Zee and I exchange looks and then finish off our drinks. 

 

                “Well things to do and all that.  Coming my lig?”

 

She nods and follows me out, I loop my arm over her shoulder and she tucks her hand into my back pocket and gives my ass a squeeze. 

 

                “So you going to make the calls?”  She asks squinting up at me

 

                “Yeah.  What is it that we’re missing though?  He seems so sad about his boy I mean, 2nd time he has brought him up.”

 

She shrugs and suddenly stops and whistles hard, I wince as my ears ring, Matt and Hunter cross the road hand in hand.

 

                “Where you going?  She asks.  “Don’t you look spiffy?”

 

                “Spiff…that’s an actual word?”  Hunter snorts.

 

                “He’s got an interview at the gallery uptown so thought I would go for moral support.”  Matt explains

 

I turn Hunter to face me and immediately undo his tie and redo it.

 

                “Much better.” 

 

He shakes his head and smiles.

 

                “Just what the world needs another guy who is anal about ties.”

 

                “Who…oh Brian, well he’s right a tie has to be tied perfectly.”

 

                “This from the man who doesn’t actually wear one.”  Hunter cocks his head cheekily at me.

 

                “But when I do they are perfect.  What time is your interview do you need a lift?”  I ask.

 

                “In an hour and yeah please.”  He replies.

 

I kiss Zee goodbye and shepherd them to the car. 

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I am so fucking pissed.  The way they insinuated I was like some peeping Tom last night was just so wrong.  Who the hell does Ted think he is embarrassing me like that!  How can my day get any worse?  Ah in comes Ben.  Great just great.

 

                “Morning Michael.  Have you spoken to Jenny?”

 

                “I haven’t got round to it yet.”  I mutter.

 

                “Haven’t got…”

 

He takes a deep breath and then hands me an envelope.

 

                “Maybe this will speed things along.”    He leans against one of the racks and waits.

 

I open the envelope and it is the divorce papers.

 

                “You didn’t waste any time…” 

 

                “What are you talking about?  You have moved on to David as you blatantly demonstrated.  So this is the next step.”

 

                “So this is jealousy because I can do stuff with David that I can’t do with you.”  I sneer

 

He shakes his head and looks and me with what could only be described as pity.

 

                “I was jealous…”

 

                “Because David is everything that I can get in a man…”

 

He sighs and holds up his hand.

 

                “Let me know when you’ve spoken to Jenny.”

 

And with that he is gone.

 

COFFEE SHOP

 

BEN

 

I am so glad that’s over and done with, I wonder what he’s going to say to Jenny, I must give Mel a heads up about the papers.  I am musing about life in general when my phone goes and it’s Ted, who wants to meet up with me as soon as possible.  I tell him where I am and wait.

 

                “Ben, how are you?  Right have you served the divorce papers?  Have you told Jenny or are you relying on Michael to do that, I wouldn’t rely on the latter being a good reflection on you.  The payments you agreed to make to Jenny’s college fund was that a written or verbal agreement?

 

                “Verbal, I said I would do the same as him and I told Jenny face to face after Michael said he would tell her and well he’s not done so far…”

 

He nods vigorously and smiles.

 

                “Even better.  Right the payments for Jenny they came through your account yes?  I need a list of all the financials you and Michael hold jointly together, anything that could be proven he contributed, how much you contributed to the store – I assume you did – and copies of your POA, your wills everything.”

 

I look at him stunned.

 

                “Uh Ted…”

 

                “Contain your twink was the beginning of the end for me.”  He answers grimly.

 

THE TREE HOUSE

 

ZEE

 

                “Zaden Stark.  Oh hey Chris, no he’s not he’s on duty so they roll to me.  Oh right, no let me have it, it’s for me anyway.  What?  No repeat that what?!”

 

I sit down and just stare at the phone for a while, that cannot be right.  I need to put some calls in.

 

BRITIN – JUSTIN’S STUDIO

 

JUSTIN

 

Are you kidding me!  I am officially creeped out!  I can’t wait for the end of the Brian and Mikey Show so we are finally rid of the fucker.

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

HUNTER

 

                “I can’t believe it, they offered it to me on the spot!” 

 

                “And you turned it down right?”  Matt teases.

 

                “I can start putting back into my college fund!  I can’t believe it!”

 

                “Let’s celebrate!  Drinks tonight, let’s call the family!  To the Brownstone!”

 

He yells swinging me round.  When he puts me down I shake my head and think what a geek, but he’s my geek.

 

THE BROWNSTONE

 

Twenty minutes later, we are at the brownstone and making calls.  Grandma and Nana both burst into tears and Grandpa says he’s so proud of me.  I ask them to call round and we should go to Woody’s meeting there about seven.  Then I take his hand and lead him upstairs.  An hour later we hear the door open and head downstairs.

 

FAAL

 

                “Hey boys how are you…so how’d it go?”

 

I am faced with 2 very miserable looking boys and hear Zee come charging in.

 

                “What’s happened?”  She skitters to a halt and immediately does the mom check, finding nothing she looks at me and I shrug.

 

                “The job interview.”  Hunter mumbles looking at the ground.

 

                “Don’t even you little swine, you got it didn’t you?  Didn’t you!” 

 

I pull his chin up and we are greeted by a megawatt smile and I immediately pulls him into my arms.

 

                “Faal, can’t breathe, seriously crushing me…”  Hunter gasps.

 

“So where are we going to celebrate?!  Son I am so proud of you!”  Zee cries and hugs him tightly. 

 

Hunter just nods and mumbles something about Woody’s, then leaves with Matt leads.

 

                “Is he okay?”  She whispers to me.  “Did they just call or something, he seems a little shell-shocked.”

 

                “You called him son.”  I whisper back.

 

WOODY’S – EARLY EVENING

 

MATT

 

                “Um are you okay?”

 

                “Son.  She called me son.”  Hunter mumbles.

 

                “Is that a bad thing?”  I am nervous

 

                “No, it just made the day better.”  He smiles and kisses me.

 

                “Here’s the soon to be working boy!”  I hear the voice of Debs.

 

I grin and soon I lose Hunter to hugs and congratulations.  I head back to our table and mom and dad are in deep conversation.

 

                “Look Matt, I am sorry if…”

 

                “You made a good day better mom don’t worry about it.”

 

She smiles and snuggles deeper into dad’s arms.  I really hope that I can have the same thing in love that they have.  Brian sits opposite looking at his watch and then the door, it doesn’t take a genius to work out who he is looking for and when he arrives he slides into Brian’s arms like he hasn’t seen him for a year.

 

                “How’d it go today Bluey?”

 

                “Bluey?  Why Bluey?”  He finishes off the rest of Brian’s beam.

 

He starts to pick out bits of blue paint out of his hair and show it to him and he giggles.  Brian indicates to the barman and he nods and soon we are joined by some of the family laughing and joking and teasing my boyfriend.  Ben comes in with Steve and heads our way and immediately engulfs Hunter in a hug as does Steve and Brian orders champagne.

 

                “To Hunter and his new ventures!” 

 

We all cry and he slinks down deeper into his seat in embarrassment.

 

                “Oh dinner is officially at ours this weekend, Saturday overnighting leave Sunday.”  Mom says.

 

                “It’s really cold.”  Justin says.  “Isn’t it Emmy Lou?” 

 

                “No it’s okay for this time of year in fact this is one of the warmest…ouch what was that for?!” 

 

Mom is chortling into dad’s side and dad is shaking his head.

 

                “Rubbish aren’t they?”  He asks Brian who just shrugs.

 

                “So Debs, Emmy Lou and Justin, bring your biggest stewing pots and some containers so we can split the oxtail into family size portions for the freezer.”  Mom says after collecting herself.

 

Justin is wriggling with happiness and Emmett is grinning.

 

                “Oh what herbs etc do we need to bring?”  Emmett asks notebook in hand.

 

                “None, it’s all set; one Italian, one Asian and one Mexican and then split it between the three…”

 

                “You bastard, you mother fucking bastard!”  The shout stills the bar.

 

Across from us a couple of men are squaring up and it is set to get ugly.

 

                “Gentlemen please take this outside.”  One of the barmen shouts.

 

And then it happened and it happened so fast.  Within seconds of one of the guys trying to hit the other, mom had him in an arm lock and bent down at the waist and dad had the other guy in a similar position, she was patting him down and dad was doing the same.

 

                “Clear.” 

 

                “Clear.”

 

                “Will you keep still?  And stop calling me names!” 

 

Mom growls at her guy but he keeps trying to struggle out of her hold and is calling her every name under the sun and then he says that word.

 

                “Aaargh fuck!”  He yells.

 

                “Nobody calls me that understand?”  She growls again

 

He nods furiously trying to breathe through the pain of her holding very tightly onto a nipple…not the most obvious of places I have to admit but when you have a nipple ring.

 

                “Clear a path!”  Dad yells

 

Soon the men are taken outside and pinned against the building wall.  Then they were nodding, then apologising and shaking hands and the guy who catcalled mom gives her a kiss on the cheek.

 

Mom and dad come back and to raucous applause and a silent table.

 

                “It’s what we do guys please relax.”  Dad says reassuringly.

 

                “Wow!”  Justin is squirming in his seat.

 

                “You have got to teach me how to do that!”  Debs begs.  “Will come in handy during the late shift!”

 

                “And me!  And definitely Molly!” Jennifer is awestruck.

 

                “Um Brian…”  Justin murmurs and looks at him.

 

                “Yeah Sun…oh.  Excuse us for a minute.” 

 

He pushes Justin out of the seat and they head to the bathroom.  Ten minutes later they come back looking very pleased with themselves.

 

                “What just happened?”  I ask Hunter who is chuckling.

 

                “Oh they had to get off.”  He replies casually.

 

I stare incredulously at him and then at them.

 

                “It’s true we did.  More drinks everyone?”  Brian asks as Justin giggles.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “So you were saying.”  I prompt Zee

 

                “Oh yes.  For the freezer and I will give you the recipe for the dumplings both…”

 

                “Dumplings?”  I think I am starting to drool

 

                “Yeah for both hard fried and soft dough.  And that is all I am telling you okay?”

 

I settle back in my seat and nod, I cannot wait for Saturday.  We spend another hour or so in Woody’s before everyone starts to make their way home.

 

                “What do you think their home is like?” 

 

I snuggle into Brian’s coat wishing I had worn a warmer one but not minding this alternative.  Brian shrugs and squeezes me tighter.

 

                “No idea but I am looking forward to finding out.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS – THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hi Mel, its Michael how are you?  Good that’s great um is Jenny there, I need to talk to her.”

 

There is a pause before Jenny comes on the line.

 

                “Hi dad how are you?”

 

                “I’m fine Honeybun but there is something you and I need to talk about.  You see the thing is that papa and I have…what?  You do?  Oh I see, well how do you feel about it?  He did?  I-I’m glad he said that, I would hate that you feel that he’s abandon…no I am not saying he would of course not!   As long as you are okay with it, we will talk properly the next time you are down in the Pitts okay bye.”

 

Speechless I am speechless! 

 

THE TREE HOUSE

 

FAAL

 

Speechless I am speechless.  It takes a full minute for me to take on board what she has just told me.

 

                “Brian, I have news, can you meet us at the Brownstone and bring the rest of them.” 

 

She ends the call.

 

                “I have checked three times.”

 

I shake my head and grab my coat and we head out to meet the rest of them, Emmett, Ben and Justin couldn’t make it but I am surprised to find Ted is there as well.

 

                “Why is Ted, not that it’s not nice to see you, here?”  I ask Brian.

 

                “Would you rather have Emmett?”  Brian asks.

 

Before I can answer the door knocks and as I open it, Carl strides in.

 

                “So what is it that you guys have found out?”

 

                “When he was first fined he had to liquidate all his assets and that included his son’s college fund…”

 

                “Explains why his son is pissed at him but why this big meet up?”  He cuts her off.

 

                “And…if you had let me finish.  He’s being sued for child support.”

 

                “Huh why his son is surely Gus’s age if not Hunter’s.”  Ted points out

 

                “But his daughter isn’t.”  She replies.

 

                “Yeah that was my reaction too.”  I say to the astonished faces.

 

                “It would seem that Dr Dave went swimming in our end of the pool in about 2010 but didn’t know about his kid until 2012, when the papers were issued.”  She tops our coffee up with brandy.

 

                “Holy fuck!”  Ted breathes.

 

                “Was this before or after the got the money from Michael?”  Carl asks

 

                “After.”  I tell him.

 

                “So now what?”  Ted asks.

 

                “Look after Jenny’s future.  Michael’s latest round of behaviour has sealed it for me, after this as far as I’m concerned he is on his own.”  Brian replies.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

BEN

 

I grit my teeth and sigh, the incessant knocking only means one thing.

 

                “Michael.  What do you want?”

 

                “How could you?”  He shouts as he tries to barge in but I block him.               “You told Jenny!”

 

                “And that is a problem how?”  I ask.

 

                “You knew I was going to tell her.  Can we at least discuss this indoors people are staring.”

 

I let him inside the front porch but stop him from going in the house.

 

                “This is as far as you go now get to the point.”  I tell him.

 

His face is a picture of pinched fury and frustration.  And with his fists are balled up he looks like he’s 5, I fight the urge to laugh.

 

                “Well is this because of your jealousy of David and me is that why you told her!”

 

                “No Michael, I told her because she had the right to know and I am not jealous of you and David.  In fact I feel sorry for David as he seems a decent guy.”

 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes.

 

                “Brian.  Brian was the one I was jealous of.  And I still am in a way.”

 

He is stunned by that.

 

                “But you’ve slept with him…twice!  And…”

 

                “That’s just fucking Michael, you really don’t get it do you?  He had your attention, whenever he called you ran to him, no matter how much it hurt our relationship!  And then there’s Justin.  For the Stud of Liberty Avenue to get the love of his life on his first time out and still have him, despite everything they went through just seemed so fucking unfair.”

 

                “Justin!  Justin’s not…”

 

                “He is Michael.  Justin is it for him.  Nobody will match that.  I hoped I found that with you but it wasn’t to be, now if you excuse me.”

 

I pull the door open and he leaves and as the door shuts I finally mourn the death of my marriage.

 

THE TREE HOUSE – SATURDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

FAAL

 

                “Please, please, please, please!”  I beg

 

                “For the last time no, I have too much to do, now go!” 

 

I hold my ground, fold my arms, and glower.

 

                “I’ve put you on your ass more than once and I haven’t lost my touch.”  She squares up to me.

 

I try pouting.

 

                “Please?”

 

                “Oh for fuck sake!  When they come and not before deal?”

 

                “Deal!”

 

                “And don’t do the happy dance!”  She chides me from inside the fridge.

 

Twenty minutes later they start arriving and they are gobsmacked by the beauty of the house.

 

                “Oh my God it is gorgeous, wait you have a lake, an actual lake!”  Emmett cries out.

 

                “No that’s the outside pool.”  I tell him.  “I cannot wait for summer.” 

 

                “So you have an inside pool?”  Drew asks

 

                “Basement, fully heated length of the house.” 

 

                “Nice, who did the work?”  He asks, taking out his phone.

 

                “Lig, where is the home file?  Drew wants the pool deets.”

 

                “Office.  And you have 15 minutes you know how soggy they get.”

 

                “In that case we wait, come all we have bubbles and eggy bread sandwiches and then I show you the rest of the house, which my beautiful lig has done for us.”

 

I guide the rest of them back to the kitchen where she has set Debs, Emmy Lou and Justin on the sandwiches.   In 15 minutes they are done.  Egg soaked sourdough bread is perfectly crisp and not greasy same for the roasted bacon.

 

                “Oh my God, this is heavenly.”  Ted sighs.  “Okay when I am sick, I want these!”

 

Zee is chuckling watching Brian use his height and long arms to keep Justin away from his plate.

 

                “Justin, try the oven.” 

 

Brian mouths his thanks as Justin inhales the sandwich.

 

                “Okay those who are not cooking out!”  Zee demands.

 

Two hours later, they come out of the kitchen looking pleased. 

 

                “Why does he have dumplings?”  I demand

 

                “Chef’s perk.  Geliefde here are yours.” 

 

She hands me a plate as Justin settles in Brian’s lap, feeding him bits of dumpling dipped in gravy. 

 

The next two hours pass quickly and happily with talk about the house and life in general.

 

                “Uh Brian can you give me a hand?”  Zee asks as she stands up.

 

                “Um I am not the greatest cook.”  He mutters.

 

                “Come on Mr K.”  She drags him up and winks at Carl.

 

ZEE

 

                “So what do you think of the house, honestly?” 

 

                “It truly is beautiful.” 

 

                “It’s not the same though is it?”  I ask him as I open the door to the back kitchen.

 

                “Huh?”  He replies fiddling with his glass.

 

                “Family dinner or lunch it’s not the same…without her I mean?”  I reply.

 

He shrugs and then takes a deep breath.

               

                “I’ve got used to her you know, when we are all at Britin it’s just…”

 

                “Brian, look at me.”  I command.

 

And the smile on his face was worth it. 

 

BRIAN

 

                “Lilah.”  I breathe and immediately she’s in my arms winding herself round my neck.

 

                “How?”  I begin.

 

                “Well Carl spoke to me and then Alice and I got together.  She’s been bringing her over during the day to get her used to the place.  Now I do believe there is a fire she needs to be curled up in front of, be off with you.”

 

She shoos me out of the kitchen and I make my way to the lounge pausing briefly to squeeze Carl’s arm and retake my seat next to Justin.  Moments later she’s between us purring loudly.

 

                “That’s better.”  Carl whispers.

 

ZEE

 

We spend another hour waiting for dinner to cook and after leaving Lilah on the rug for all of two seconds before she’s trotting after her favourite humans we head to the dining room to eat.  Before they start, I clear my throat.

 

                “Forks will only go so far with oxtail just saying.  Now come on let’s eat.”

 

                “I think I am officially stuffed.”  Justin groans about 30 minutes later, loosening his pants.

 

                “Oh my God I do believe, yes there is actually a food baby in there!”  Emmett teases.

 

Everyone laughs but Brian.

 

                “What’s wrong?  It was kind of funny?”  Justin nudges him

 

                “Nothing.  I’m fine honest.”  He replies.

 

                “Look I know it’s early but it’s been a fuck of a long day for me, you guys are welcome to stay up.  So I bid you all goodnight, but Brian and Justin can you come with me?”

 

                “What about Lilah?”  Justin asks.

 

                “She’ll be fine, now come on.”

 

 JUSTIN

 

We follow her to the 3rd floor and into a room that has glass walls.  There is a fire already stoked and blazing and we can see clear across the city.  In the nest of branches there is a love seat covered with sheep skin and fluffy cushions.  The canopied bed is huge and also covered with sumptuous fluffy blankets and draped in silks in deep greys and blues and I hear a low whistle as Brian checks out the bathroom. 

 

                “Good?”  I ask.

 

                “Yeah you might have a problem getting me out of that tub.  And don’t be surprised if that coffee machine turns up missing.”

 

                “Good night boys, sleep well.”  She kisses us both on the cheek and is gone.

 

                “Wow just wow.”  I sigh

 

                “Come on let’s have coffee.” 

 

He pulls me to the love seat and then goes to get coffee.  We snuggle under the blanket and finish our coffee in silence.

 

                “So what was the matter earlier?”  I ask him.

 

                “She thought of Lilah.”

 

                “Ah.  I think she’s going to be sleeping off that food baby for a bit.”

 

He chuckles and pulls me tighter into his embrace.  We hear the door knock and call come in.  Zee pokes her head round.

 

                “Sorry I forgot.”  She puts a tray down a carafe of brandy and a smoker gun and glasses and leaves.

 

                “Shower o…”

 

He covers my mouth with his and buries his fingers in my hair and pushes me onto my back.  Instinctually I wrap my legs round him and bury my hands in his hair.  He groans and starts rutting against me, which sets the seat in motion, I tug on his hair hard enough for him to stop kissing me.

 

                “Wh-what what’s wrong?”

 

                “Can we go to bed?” 

 

                “You cold?”

 

                “No it’s the swinging.”  I whimper.

 

                “Baby you’ve been in a sling with me before.”  He goes back to nibbling my neck and working his hands up my shirt.

 

                “Yes, that, umm wait, was oh please, oh God, diff-different mo-momentum.”  I manage to pant out as his fingers run across my nipple twisting it gently into hardness.

 

                “Really are you serious?  Bed?”

 

                “Please.”

 

He gently picks me up and carries me to the canopied bed.

 

                “Brandy?”

 

I nod and strip and pull back the bedding and am surprised to find another fluffy blanket underneath, I lie down and practically purr as the softness rubs against my skin.

 

                “God you look so gorgeous like that.”  He whispers.

 

                “Put that down and feel this.”  I murmur tugging at his free hand.

 

He climbs into bed with me and sighs.

 

                “I have got to find out where she got these sheets from.”  He mumbles.

 

As we clink glasses he looks up and nudges me.

 

                “Holy fuck.”  I sigh as I look up and see nothing but stars.

 

He pulls up the blankets when I shiver a bit.

 

                “We can always push them down later.”  He waggles his eyebrows at me.

 

There is no later as within 10 minutes we are both sound asleep.

 

SUNDAY MORNING

 

FAAL

 

                “Come little one time to wake your favourite humans!” 

 

Lilah trots after me and I make a mental note to ask Zee to consider a lift, I knock on the door and after a while I hear shuffling and Brian opens the door.

 

                “Furball delivery.  Did you sleep well?” 

 

He nods and scoops Lilah up. 

 

                “Well see you downstairs when you are ready, Ben, Drew and I are going to do some laps if you wish to join us.”

 

                “Give me 10 minutes and I’ll be there.”

 

True to his word he’s down and we end up swimming for an hour.  By the time we have our showers everyone is in the kitchen chatting and helping.

 

BEN

 

                “I hate to bring a bit of a downer on this weekend because it has been excellent, but I served the papers to Michael this week.”

 

                “How’d he take it?”  Blake asks.  “Actually on the MNRS how’d he take it?”

 

                “The MN what?”  Carl asks.

 

                “MNRS…Michael Novotny Richter Scale.  Oh sorry Debs I didn’t…”

 

                “Oh don’t worry honey, I have called his temper tantrums much worse than that.  So how’d he take it.?”

 

                “About a 7 but it climbed to 9 when he found out I had already told Jenny.”  I reply.

 

                “I’ll bet.  How’d you tell her?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Flew to Toronto and did it face to face.  She was okay about it, but Lindz seemed more upset about the college fund for Hunter than that.”

 

                “Ah explains the phone calls.”  Brian sighs.

 

And if as on cue his phone rings.  He takes one look at it and shoves it towards Justin shaking his head, who shoves it towards Emmett before finally rolling his eyes Hunter picks it up.

 

                “Brian Kinney’s phone.  Oh it’s you.  Because I didn’t look at the caller ID.  He’s busy at the moment.  No not at either.  Well it isn’t his place to invite random people.  I’ll get him to call you back.”

 

He hangs up and sighs as I bring him in for a hug and Carl rubs his back.

 

                “Perhaps I could’ve handled that better.”  He mumbles.

 

Brian’s phone goes again and this time he picks it up.

 

                “Lindz is Gus okay?  Why should I have told you?  It has nothing to do with you Lindz!  Now it’s Sunday and I am having a great day with the family, goodbye Lindz!”

 

                “Seriously Brian between the two of them how have you not ended up in prison?”  Faal asks.

 

                “NFI.”  He sighs.

 

Faal looks confused.

 

                “No fucking idea.”  I explain.

 

                “Right enough of them…bubbles!!”  Emmett hollers swinging a bottle.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

How dare he speak to me like that!  He seems to forget that I am still his father and I deserve respect.  I need to talk to someone who’s going to be on my side for a change.

 

                “Hi David, how are you?  I’m fine, a little upset with the way my so called friends have been treating…oh you are that’s great, okay see you when you get back.”

 

I am feeling much better now, although I know I need to speak to Mel about the visitation schedule for Jenny, she’s up next weekend.

 

DINER – THURSDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

                “No Carl.  Now stop with the hangdog expression and get to work.”

 

I shoo him out and shake my head, ever since we had those sandwiches he’s wanted one for breakfast every day and is trying to persuade me to get them put on the menu at the diner as well.  The bell rings and Michael comes in looking very chipper.

 

                “Hey Michael long time no…”

 

And behind him comes the reason why.

 

                “David, how nice to see you again, didn’t realise you were back in town.”

 

                “Debbie, you’re looking well.  Yes I got back Sunday evening.  May I have a coffee?”

 

I nod and go get it just as Ted, Brian and Justin come in, I indicate the booth at the back and they settle down and are soon joined by Ben.

 

                “Be right with you boys!”  I call out.

 

                “Come on let’s join them.”  Michael suggests to David who shrugs and gets up.

 

                “Mind if we join you?”  He asks and sits down before they can answer.

 

Brian reaches into his wallet and pulls out a $50 and hands it to Ted, who smirks.

 

                “What will it be boys?”  I ask hoping to forestall any arguments.

 

They put in their order and I keep a safe distance so that I can pop my son in the head in needs be.

 

                “So what time are they coming?”  I hear Michael ask.

 

                “What time is who coming?”  Brian replies.

 

                “Gus and Jenny.  What time do they land?”  He asks.

 

Brian looks confused.

 

                “Gus isn’t up here this weekend Michael, he’s coming to New York wi…shit!”

 

                “You’re coming to New York?  When?”  Justin is beaming.

 

                “Well now the cat is out of the bag, I’m on the same flight as you and Gus is going to meet us at the condo, we come back on Sunday evening.”  Brian kisses his temple.

 

                “But what about Jenny?”  Michael asks.

 

Oh no this is not good, I think my son’s entitlement is starting to show, time to butt in

 

                “What about her?  She’s coming to see you, Ben and Hunter?  Us and maybe meet David…” 

 

                “No she’s not seeing Ben and Hunter.”  Michael states.

 

There is a stunned silence.

 

                “Um why not Michael?  I promised her that it would be her choice if she sees us or not.  Give me one good reason that she can’t.”  Ben is beginning again to be less Zen.

 

                “We’re not together anymore.” 

 

He says it like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

 

                “Michael you can’t be serious?”  David is looking horrified.

 

Michael shifts on his seat

 

                “All I am saying is as her bio…”

 

                “When we split up we agreed that the one thing we would not do is hurt Hank, by not letting her see them can’t you see how hurtful this is going to be?  They are still her family, he’s still her papa, is it papa, and Hunter is still her brother being divorced won’t change that.  I can’t believe you would contemplate such a thing!”

 

                “I am as much her father as you are, I have been there since birth too.”  Ben retorts.

 

                “Okay fine, but I want to stay in the house or maybe we can stay at Britin.”  Michael looks smug.

 

Ben sighs heavily and rolls his eyes and both Brian and Justin go to speak.

 

                “No I think I have a better idea.”  I call out.

 

I pick up my phone and swiftly dial the one person I think can help.

 

                “Zee, it’s Debs, I have a problem that I think your Brownstone will solve.”

 

Once I explain the situation and get the okay I call Jennifer.

 

                “Right, have spoken to Zee, Jenny can stay at her Brownstone.  So Hunter and Matt, me and Carl will be there too, Ben you stay at your house and the problem has been solved.  Right Michael?”

 

                “Okay, but where are Zee and Faal going to be?”  He asks.

 

                “At their house in the country.  So beautiful.”  I sigh wistfully.

 

                “When did you see it?”  Michael asks.

 

                “Last weekend.”  Ted answers and tries not to smirk at the resulting jaw clenching from Michael.

 

The rest of their stay is, mercifully, drama free but I can see Michael is annoyed but not as annoyed as David.

 

BROWNSTONE – FRIDAY EVENING

 

CARL

 

                “You gotta admit Red it is a beautiful place.”

 

There is a knock at the door and Michael comes in with an exuberant Jenny who is immediately shouting for Hunter and Matt.

 

                “Jeez J volume!”  Matt chides her sweeping her into a hug.

 

                “We’re meeting everyone else right?  Gus sends a fist bump to you both!  Where’s Hunter?”

 

                “Here…oof seriously J!  And yes we are.  Come on let’s get you settled.”

 

He takes her bag without acknowledging Michael and heads upstairs. 

 

                “Well we’ll see you later Michael, dinner should be around seven.”  I start to lead him out.

 

                “Wait I thought I was staying here too.”  He objects

 

                “Oh fuck no!  No way are you staying here!”  Matt snarls from behind me.

 

                “You’re staying at ours but you are out by Sunday understand?  Under your own steam or mine.” 

 

I tell him and with a not so gentle push he’s out the door.

 

Red is in her element cooking up a storm with Jenny’s help.  The door goes and when she hears her papa she races to the hall.

 

                “Papa!” 

 

                “Are you too old to be picked up?”

 

                “Never papa never!” 

 

He comes into the kitchen with her wrapped round him in a vice like grip.

 

                “Oh God roller derby is paying off – care to loosen up a bit?” 

 

She giggles and slithers down.

 

                “We’re making, what are we making grandma?” 

 

                “Southern fried jerk chicken.  I have decided to expand my repertoire!” 

 

                “How long will it be Red, will it be long enough…”

 

                “No.  I know where you are going Carl, you can have it in the morning, think of your cholesterol.”

 

                “Morning, you promise?”

 

She nods and swats me with the towel as I go to answer the door its Michael and David.

 

                “Ben nice to see you again and you must be Jenny?”

 

Jenny nods shyly.

 

                “I’m David, a friend of your father’s he’s told me a lot about you.”

 

Hunter snorts and is nudged in the side by Matt.

 

                “Can you cook?”  She asks him and he nods and she drags him over to the stove.

 

The rest of the dinner is slightly tense, mainly because Michael is pouting as not only are Jenny and David getting on but he’s talking to Hunter and Matt like the young adults they are.

 

                “So Matt how did you and Hunter meet?  If you don’t mind sharing the story?”  He asks.

 

                “At motocross for Gus’s birthday.  J was there too.  I spotted him the moment he came through the doors and…”

 

                “You did?”  Hunter sounds surprised.

 

                “What did you think I randomly picked a guy to talk to?  Anyway, I gave the guy $20 to tune into their channel and invited them to join our group…”

 

                “Wait what?”  Hunter looks stunned.

 

                “Oh so it was love at first sight was it?”  I tease him.

 

                “Yep.” 

 

                “I-I didn’t know that.  Any of that.”  Hunter whispers in awe.

 

                “Well now you do.”  He replies and kisses him on the cheek.

 

Ben chuckles and smiles and then is grabbed by Jenny.

 

                “You promised to help with dessert papa.  Grandma you know where the cookies are?”

 

                “I’ll get them.  I have been given strict instructions by Faal.  Now out everyone.” 

 

I order and shut the door.  I find the cookies and the instructions for them.  I holler at them to come back.

 

                “Yes, honeycomb crunch, my favourite!”  Jenny cries.

 

                “Favourite?”  Michael is woken from his pout.

 

                “Yep, Zee always sends a box up with Gus or Hunter and Matt when they visit.  I have been halving them for the last few weeks.  Grandma where’s the scoop oh thanks.  I tried to make them myself but it’s not the same.”

 

        “No I agree I have tried to recreate the toasted caramelised pecan but can’t quite get it right.”

 

        “It’s the oldest trick in the book.”  Red chuckles as does David.

 

        “What?”  Ben and Jenny say together.

 

        “Give them the recipe but not all of it.”  David answers.  “Leave out the one thing that makes it perfect.”

 

        “Except for the peanut butter almond ones, Justin recreates them perfectly.  But I think that’s more to do with Brian than anything else.”  Red remarks.

 

        “Why Brian?”  Michael asks

 

        “They’re his favourites although I think it took two hours of pouting and begging to get the whole recipe.”  She laughs and busies herself plating up.

 

We eat the ice cream cookies happily and Red makes coffee.  I am surprised when David volunteers him and Michael for clean-up duty, something I suspect Michael is not happy with.  The evening ends without any drama and a rousing boxing game on the Wii and Matt being firm that he would never get on the wrong side of Red after she whipped him 4 to zero.

 

DEB & CARL’S HOUSE

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael, what was wrong with you tonight?”

 

                “Nothing, I was just tired I suppose.”

 

                “No, you know what I think you are jealous.”

 

                “Jealous of what?”

 

                “I don’t know but it was coming off you in waves!”

 

He says nothing just glowers at the blank TV screen.

 

                “Look, I didn’t know there was this side of you and I have to say I am disappointed.  I need to think.”

 

                “David.  I was just having a bad day, I’ll be fine after a good night’s sleep.” 

 

He goes to put his arms round me but I move away from his embrace.

 

                “No Michael I can’t.  I can’t do this.  I’ll call you.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I stare at the door he’s just gone through in disbelief.  What the hell just happened?

 

 

TBC…

End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed.  I really struggled a bit with this.  Please be constructive and kind.

Chapter 15 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 15 – WHISPERS OF THE PAST

 

SATURDAY VERY EARLY MORNING

 

JUSTIN’S STUDIO – NYC

 

BRIAN

 

                “Justin – I think it might be time for…Justin!  Justin!  No, no, no, no, no!”

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

                “Hey Je…what’s wrong!”

 

                “It’s Justin he’s had an accident and I have to get to New York, but I need to find Hunter!”

 

The diner goes quiet as Jennifer tries to gather herself.

 

                “He was in his studio and he must have slipped on something and hit his head…”

 

                “Shit not again.”  Carl mumbles

 

                “When did you find out?  Faal get going I’ll call ahead.  Have you booked tickets?”  Zee is eerily calm.

 

                “Just now Brian called, he’s a wreck.  No to the flights I need to get Hunter to be there for Gus, whilst, whilst, oh God I can’t go through this again!”

 

Zee puts both hands on her face and makes Jennifer look at her and again is so calm.

 

                “Listen, I will get you to New York.  Carl will take you home and you will pack.  Carl take her straight to the airport ask for Hanger 5 when you get there.  I will find Hunter and get him there too.  Have you understood what I have said?”

 

Jennifer nods and heads out with Carl.  Zee calls Hunter and tells him to meet her at the Brownstone in 20 minutes.  Then she’s making another call still amazingly calm.

 

                “Is there anything we can do?”  Emmett asks trying not to cry.

 

                “Yeah, actually Emmy Lou you come too, is that doable?” 

 

He nods and gathers his things, before pulling out his phone. 

 

                “Okay tickets for 5 are you coming too?”  He asks her.

 

                “No, one of the advantages of being rich is owning a private plane.  Now go pack and again Hanger 5 as soon as you are done.”

 

Emmett flies out the door and finally Zee’s calm evaporates.

 

                “Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck please no.”  She whispers before taking a breath and following him out.

 

I stand there in shock, the bell goes above the door and David comes in.

 

                “Morn…what’s happened?”  He immediately picks up on the tension.

 

                “David, I’m so glad you’re here, look...”

 

 Michael had followed behind him and is oblivious as usual.

 

                “Michael hush.  It’s Sunshine, he’s had an accident and hit his head.”  I tell him

 

                “When did it happen?”  David asks.  “Here Debs sit down, someone get some water.”

 

                “Not sure, Jennifer just told us, she’s on her way to New…oh God why him, why again?”

 

MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL – NEW YORK

 

JUSTIN

 

I feel foggy.  Why is that?  What is that beeping sound?  Where’s Brian I need Brian.

 

HANGER 5 PITTSBURGH AIRPORT

 

FAAL

 

                “Everyone here, okay get in, seatbelts on and we should be cleared for take-off in about half an hour.”

 

They are all too worried about Justin and Brian to do anything but sit quietly, each praying hard.

 

                “Ah we are good to go now.  He will be fine guys I am sure of it.”

 

I blow a kiss to Zee and taxi out.

 

MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL

 

BRIAN

 

Please I will do anything, anything in the world don’t take him away from me please. 

 

                “Mr Kinney?” 

 

I snap my head up and am looking at a nurse who smiles at me sympathetically.

 

                “Maybe you should get changed, we can give you some scrubs to wear?”  She suggests gently.

 

                “Not leaving him until he wakes up.” 

 

                “Okay, let me know if you need anything.”  She quietly walks out.

 

                “You listen to me you little twat, you aren’t going anywhere until I say you hear me!”

 

I am holding onto his hand and slowly stroking his fingers, I love his fingers, they are slim and elegant and his skin is so soft.

 

                “Br...Brian?” 

 

                “Hey baby, you scared the shit out of me!  How you feeling?”

 

                “Fuzzy, where am I?”

 

                “Hospital, you hit your head.  You’ve got to stop doing that.  Want some water?  Am gonna call the nurse okay?”

 

He smiles as I give him some ice chips, whilst brushing back his hair.

 

                “You are going to have one heck of a goose egg.”

 

                “Mr Taylor, how are you feeling?”  The nurse has brought a doctor with her.  “I am Dr Strong, you must be Mr Kinney?”

 

I nod and watch as he does some tests for eye co-ordination and gently examines the back of his head.

 

                “Well there is no trauma to the previous injury, any headache, dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears?”

 

                “No just tired.”  He replies.

 

                “Well we will reduce the medication but right now I suggest you get some sleep both of you.” 

 

He smiles kindly and leaves with the nurse and I gently nudge him onto his side and curl up behind him. 

 

I am woken about 30 minutes later by loud voices, I could swear that was Faal’s voice I heard.  I check on Justin and he’s still asleep, gently I move off the bed and head into the hallway.

 

                “Brian!  I…oh my God!”  Jennifer cries going ashen and holding onto the wall.

 

I look down and realise that I am still wearing the clothes I found him in.

 

                “Not blood.  He’s fine just tired and asleep right now, did I hear Faal?” 

 

                “You did.  Here get changed, they may be a bit big but they will do yes?  I have spoken to the nurse you can use the showers down there.  Come.” 

 

                “Wait, Jennifer can you sit with him, I don’t want him to be alone.” 

 

She nods and heads inside. 

 

                “Brian do you want something to eat, a good coffee anything like that?”  Emmy Lou calls out.

 

I nod, and then realise he’s actually here and not a figment of my tired mind.

 

                “Emmy when did how did?”  I stammer

 

                “Let’s get you cleaned up first and then we explain yes?” 

 

Faal puts his arm round me and leads me to the showers.  Twenty minutes later I feel much better and when I get back to the room he’s awake and sitting up.  Faal moves to allow me to sit next to him.

 

                “So what the hell happened?”  Jennifer demands.

 

                “I slipped on something and the next thing I woke up here.  How long have I been here?”

 

                “It’s just gone six so about 9 hours.”  I reply.

 

                “The doctor came by and said that he can be discharged later, he sees no reason for him to remain overnight.”  Faal tells me.

 

                “Oh shit Gus.  He’s on his own…”  He begins to fret

 

                “No Hunter’s with him.”  Emmy Lou tells us

 

                “Hunter?  Wait when did you guys get here?”  I ask

 

                “About 1130, the traffic was a bitch, but we dropped him off and came straight here.”

 

                “1130, but how did you get here as in New York so quickly.”  I ask Jennifer.

 

                “By plane of course.  Hopefully we can go back to the Pitts tonight if we get clearance or first thing tomorrow.”  Faal explains.

 

                “Private plane no less.”  Emmy Lou adds smiling at Faal.

 

                “Who has a private plane?”  We both ask.

 

                “Zee does and I have a licence, well we both do but she knew I would be better…”

 

                “Shit the family, I said we’d call as soon as we knew what is happening.” 

 

Jennifer reaches for her purse and heads outside tugging Emmy Lou with her.

 

                “I will go and make some calls hopefully get a window for tonight.  And Justin…don’t do that again please and thank you.”

 

We sit there stunned for a while.

 

                “You heard the man, do not do that again!”  I chide him and place a gentle kiss on his mouth.

 

Luckily we were able to get a window for midnight and so it was a mad dash to get everything sorted out and get to JFK in time for take-off.  Justin mostly just slept through everything and we went to the airport from the hospital.  Once we were in the air everyone visibly relaxed.  Hunter and Gus were playing games and Jennifer and Emmy Lou ended up sleeping on either side of Justin in the bedroom in the back. 

 

I head to the cockpit, take the co-pilot’s seat and put on the headphones.

 

                “It reminded you didn’t it?” 

 

I just nod.

 

                “Have you and he ever talked about it with someone?”

 

I shake my head.

 

                “Well if you ever want to I am here.”

 

                “Thanks Faal, for, for everything I…”

 

                “You stop that, you would do the same.  Now where are we dropping you?”

 

                “You cannot land this at Britin or your place surely?”  I gasp.

 

                “Britin no, ours yep.  I meant the car service, where are they dropping you.  We should land in about 20 minutes.”

 

                “Could…”

 

                “Zee made up the room.  Now go back to your seat and get everyone to buckle up for landing.”

 

SUNDAY MORNING – THE TREEHOUSE

 

JUSTIN

 

I open my eyes to an overcast sky and am slightly confused.

 

                “Where..?”

 

                “Treehouse, how you feeling?”  Brian’s hazel eyes cloud with concern.

 

                “Much better, you look…”

 

                “Like shit?” 

 

I nod, then wince when my goose egg rubs against the pillow.

 

                “Let me get some ice for you, don’t move.”  He orders.

 

                “Need to piss.”  I grouch sitting up slowly.

 

                “Fine I’ll hold it for you.” 

 

He scoops me gently out of bed and carries me to the bathroom.

 

                “Brian I hit my head not broke my legs…”

 

                “Please Justin…”  He murmurs into my hair.

 

                “Okay, we can play doctor and patient.”  I snuggle into his arms.

 

THE BROWNSTONE

 

JENNY

 

                “Grandma, do you think we can go see Uncle Justin today?”

 

                “I don’t know it depends on how he’s feeling.  I am sure he would love to see you.  Let me give Alice a call.”

 

                “Oh don’t bother Alice, they’re at the Treehouse.  So eggy bread sandwiches?” 

 

Hunter looks hopeful and I am confused.

 

                “Eggy bread…”

 

                “Yes and you’ll love it.  Go check on grandpa and ask if he…”

 

                “Did I hear eggy bread sandwiches?”  Grandpa calls out

 

                “I would really like to...” 

 

Just then the doorbell rings and its papa, I run to him and he gives me a big hug.

 

                “Any news?”  He asks.

 

                “Apparently they are at the Treehouse but Jenny really wants to see him before she flies out.”  Grandma answers

 

                “Maybe, Hunter can you get that, maybe I should give them a call and see?”  Grandpa suggests

 

Grandma nods and he goes for his phone, I follow him waving at dad as I go.

 

                “Zee, it’s Carl, how’s he doing?  Well it’s…”

 

                “Grandpa may I have the phone please?”  I ask

 

He hands it to me.

 

                “Hey Aunt Zee, can I come and see Uncle Justin and you and your nice new house and I promise, I promise I will be extra super quiet and not ask you to make cookies I won’t even shout when I see him I promise, please, please please?!”

 

I wait and take a few calming breaths and hand back the phone.

 

                “Yes she does.  You want us to bring what?  Okay, I’ll get Red to make the calls.”  He hangs up.  “As you can tell that’s a yes.  And there will be a surprise for you later this evening.  Now go get packed.” 

 

Grandpa ushers me out of the room and heads to the kitchen and speaks to Grandma and she starts to laugh, I want to know what was so funny but I want to see Uncle Justin more.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Where’s Jenny going, I haven’t even had a good morning from her.”  I grouse

 

                “She’s packing, she wants to see Justin before she goes.”  Carl tells me.

 

                “She’s not going to New York, you can’t be serious?”  I am astonished.

 

                “No Michael, we are not going to New York, if you had bothered to ask you’d know that Justin and Brian came back last night and are at Zee’s so we are going there for a pyjama party lunch and then Jenny will go home from there.”  Ma tells me.

 

                “A what?”  Ben asks

 

                “That’s what I was thinking.”  I mutter

 

                “A pyjama party lunch.  I can’t wait to see her try and get Brian into PJs!”  Ma cackles.

 

She bustles out making calls.

 

THE TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

I love Zee, I love her with all my heart and I know she’s worrying but the sheer amount of worry she has bought is astounding.  She’s bought blankets and cashmere, wait cashmere…ah not worry this is full blown panic.

 

                “Darling, stop he’s fine.” 

 

I take her into my arms and feel her tremble before the tears flow.  Slowly she calms down and sniffles into my chest.

 

                “I’ve started cooking?”  She mumbles

 

                “I see that, but why so much?  What have you done?”

 

                “Jenny wants to see Justin before she goes and I kinda invited everyone for a pyjama party lunch…”

 

                “Ah and who are the blankets for we have a set for each room?” 

 

                “Them.”  She replies.  “They like them you see.”

 

                “And the little sheepskin rug?  That’s for Lilah because she liked ours yes?”

 

She nods and goes to speak but I silence her with a kiss.

 

                “Okay.  So we are having what for this lunch?”  I ask.

 

                “Rice peas and chicken.”  She answers wiping her face.

 

                “Good, now give me a smile please.  That’s better.”

 

                “Oh we need to call Mace in.”

 

                “Why?”

 

                “He’s flying them home.  But don’t say anything to her okay?”

 

I nod and go make the call.  Looks like it will be an interesting day.

 

JENNIFER

 

I can’t believe these last few hours, but the most important thing is that Justin is okay.  When I saw all that red on Brian’s clothes I thought the worst but he’s okay and apparently we are going to a pyjama party lunch at Zee’s.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

BEN

 

I am helping Debbie clean up the kitchen and Michael is being helpful by sitting there brooding. 

 

                “You know what Michael it would be nice to turn down your help.”  I point out

 

                “I helped last night.”  He thinks that drying up two glasses is helping.

 

                “Honey are you going to call Steve and get him to bring Taylor, I’m sure that Justin would love to see her.  And Michael why don’t you bring David?”  Debs asks.

 

                “I can call Steve not sure what he’s doing…”

 

                “No coordinated your diaries yet?”  Michael snipes.

 

Before I answer Jenny comes in with her case in hand.

 

                “Hi dad, where’s David?  He’s coming to lunch too isn’t he?  Call him now, actually let me speak to him.” 

 

She holds out her hand for his phone and he seems to be reluctant to give it to her but he does after dialling the number.

               

                “Hi David, its Jenny.  I’m fine but you’re not here.  We’re going to a pyjama party lunch at Zee’s in about an hour, I know a PJ party that’s what she said.  We’re at the Brownstone, no they can wait for you okay see you later then.”

 

She hands the phone back to him and takes her out.

 

                “Aunt Zee, hi, dad and David are coming too and I think Uncle Steve is bringing Taylor what are we having…schweet…great see you soon!”

 

                “What just…”  I begin.

 

                “Gus, Hunter, Matt come on we’re on prep duty!”  She hollers up the stairs

 

The boys clatter down the stairs.

 

                “Again what’s…?”  I begin

 

                “Grandpa you stay here with dad and wait for David.  Papa you call Uncle Steve and tell him to pack Taylor’s bunny ears, I think that Uncle Justin will like the bunny ears.  Nana Jen is coming to pick us up in 5 minutes and we’re going ahead to do prep duty with Aunt Zee and Auntie Em and Grandma you are coming with us too.”

 

She looks at us as if that makes perfect sense.

 

                “Well let’s go!” 

 

She starts to drag Debs out with her as Matt just shakes his head and Hunter takes her case.  I decide to call Steve.

 

                “Hi Steve, look apparently, oh you’ve heard too?  I have no idea.  But Jenny said to mention Taylor’s bunny ears, great I am glad someone knows what’s going on.  No hadn’t thought of that, yep will meet you by the house in say 20 minutes.”

 

I wave my goodbyes and head out.

 

CARL

 

                “Is there anything in the house you need to collect if so go do it now.” 

 

Slowly he gets up and heads to the door for once we have the same feeling…dumbstruck by the whirlwind that is Jenny.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

BRIAN

 

                “A what?  Look I know you mean well Zee but Justin’s…”

 

                “Not made out of glass and is fine, please it sounds like fun.”  He bats his eyes at me.

 

Faal nods his head to the back kitchen.

 

                “Look this is her coping mechanism, it is one day and it will be fun I promise you.”

 

                “The moment you feel tired you go to bed got it.”  I tell him as we head back inside.

 

                “Got it thank you Dr Kinney!” 

 

Faal plants a kiss on my cheek and hands me a wrapped bundle.

 

                “What’s this?”  I look at it warily.

 

                “PJs for the PJ lunch, now shower and change!”  Faal grins at me.

 

I head back upstairs trying to hold off Justin from grabbing the parcel and find a basket on the bed, which he immediately opens.

 

                “Seriously where does she find these things?” 

 

He murmurs stroking the blankets before heading to the bathroom

 

                “Come on let’s get dressed for this thing, seriously if there is…”  I begin as I open the parcel

 

Justin pokes his head out.

 

                “If there is what?  Brian you okay?”  He comes back to the bed and gasps.

 

Inside are two sets of PJs, one black and one dove grey, both silk on the outside and cashmere lined, they are plain but feel like heaven and come with matching socks. 

 

                “Beautiful.”  I murmur.  “Right shower I need to get these on…and you’re wearing your socks!”

 

Thirty minutes later we head to the kitchen and find Faal and Zee neither of whom are in their PJs, I pull her to one side.

 

                “Thank you.  But where are yours?”  I murmur kissing her on her cheek.

 

                “Changing after prep.  And you’re welcome, but a little tip, don’t sleep in these and use the blankets you will sweat like a hog seeing a spit roast.”

 

When the door goes Faal returns with the kids, Emmy Lou, Debs and Jennifer.  Jenny is unusually subdued. 

 

                “What’s wrong?”  I ask her.

 

                “I promised and I never break my promises.”   She looks so sad and fit to bursting.

 

                “This one you can break.”  Zee smiles

 

                “Uncle Justin!”  She shrieks and runs into his arms.

 

                “She promised she wouldn’t scream and shout if she got to see him.”  She explains.

 

                “Okay everyone come lots to do, except you two, have a seat either here or in the lounge.  After that you can all go and get changed, your PJs await.  So Emmy Lou you are on bubbles yes?” 

 

Faal smirks as he spots Emmy Lou’s head in the fridge.

 

                “Way ahead of you.  Are we indulging them now or later?”  He asks swinging the bottle around.

 

                “Later with dinner and yes Justin that goes for you too.”  I say before he says anything.

 

                “Brian.”  Faal chides me gently.

 

                “Sorry.  But baby, it’s just…” 

 

                “I know, I will be careful I promise.”

 

Hunter and Matt guffaw at the endearment.

 

                “Nice hickey.”  I remark, which shuts them up.

 

By the time everyone else arrives dinner is almost prepped and smells incredible.   I am surprised to see David, who looks a little uncomfortable at first but is too swept up in the prep, helping Hunter and Matt with the pork belly.

 

                “Right prep is done!  Everyone upstairs to change!”  Zee orders.

 

ZEE

 

                “You don’t think that people will think I am being “proud”?” 

 

                “No my lig and if they do then they can simply leave them behind.”  Faal snorts.

 

We head downstairs; I worried for nothing.  Emmy Lou is on his phone trying to order another set of PJs, Taylor is trying to put her ears on Ben, Brian and Justin have commandeered a corner of the sofa so the only person not really participating is Michael…him being quiet I can live with.

 

                “They’re gorgeous Aunt Zee, so comfy, what’s the furry stuff?”  Gus asks.

 

                “Cashmere and the outside is silk.” 

 

There are gasps and Debs immediately but carefully puts her red wine down.

 

                “At least we don’t need to pack PJs when we’re next here.”  Ben jokes.

 

                “Actually you can take them home with you if you want.  Call them celebration PJs or whatever – in honour of Justin being well and home.  Please?”  I know I am begging.

 

                “Thank you.  I am going to call them my Sunday PJs.”  Carl kisses me on the cheek.

 

                “Isn’t this really difficult to clean?”  Michael asks.

 

                “They’re dry clean.  Make a mess, take them to a store and they clean it simple really.”  Blake replies.

 

I head to the kitchen trying to hide my smirk and am surprised to find David following me.

 

                “It’s a beautiful house.”  

 

                “Thanks.”  I notice Faal’s slow approach.

 

David leans against the counter and sighs. 

 

                “So this, I’m going with problem.  How about you just spit it out?”  I ask.

 

                “How do you get Matt to forgive your mistakes?  You and Faal have such a great relationship with him and I just wondered?”

 

                “Depends on the mistake.”  I stop Faal’s approach with a look.  “Was it an ooops or a clusterfuck?”

 

                “Clusterfuck.”  He grimaces.

 

                “You did mention something when we last met, is that the clusterfuck?”

 

                “Partly, but I am fixing that, it’s the rest I am having a problem with he thinks I lied to him.”

 

                “And did you?”

 

Before he can answer Jenny comes in concentrating on not dropping the tray full of glasses.

 

                “Uh a little help please, I don’t think I can do the counter?”  She gasps.

 

David takes the tray off her and smiles.  She tugs his hand and pulls him out of the kitchen yelling about games.

 

                “Seriously what the fuck was that and can we not catch a fucking break?”  Faal grouses.

 

TED

 

Ben and Steve manage to get Taylor settled for a quick nap, after she insisted that Justin wear her bunny ears.  Debs had brought some board games and we are in the process of splitting into teams.  Faal is insisting that Zee is on his side and Brian that Justin is on his.  Debs overrules saying that partners have to be on opposing teams as they know their weaknesses; so naturally Michael ends up on Brian’s team with Faal and I end up with Zee and Justin.  We settle on trivial pursuit and in no time at all there are shouts of unfair play and cries of distraction.

 

                “A bra strap is not a distraction for heaven sake!  It just slipped.”  Jennifer argues.

 

                “Helps if you do the buttons up Jen!”  Tucker rebukes her.

 

                “Oh hadn’t noticed.”  She murmurs.

 

Zee leans over to Hunter and whispers something, he looks incredulous, but she shrugs and smiles.  It’s our turn to pick and we’re in the lead.  Zee smiles and clears her throat.

 

                “This question is for Michael.  What is a braai is it a…”

 

                “Oh I know this one it’s a bush.”

 

There is a stunned silence.

 

                “Um what?”  Faal asks

 

                “A bush as in briar bush with thorns where Peter Rabbit hid from the wolf…no the fox.”

 

                “Is there any chance we can get that as a pity point for mishearing?”  Blake asks

 

                “No.” 

 

                “Why is that wrong?”  Michael asks.

 

Jenny gapes at him.

 

                “Because it is.  It is braai as in bri not briar as in bri-er.  Bush was not even an optional answer.”

 

David just stares at Michael.

 

                “So what is a braai then?”  He asks folding his arms.

 

                “South African BBQ.  And why not wait for the options?”  Faal shakes his head.

 

                “Seriously a pity point please?”  Brian begs.

 

Justin just giggles and shakes his head but his whimper, face draining of colour and slight sway immediately cause Brian to fly to his side.

 

                “You okay?”  He gently cradles him in his arms and looks into his eyes.

 

                “I’m fine just forgot about the goose egg, so a bit of a head swim, honest, I’m okay.” 

 

                “You want water baby?  Gus go get your papa some.”  Emmett tells him

 

Gus runs to the kitchen.

 

                “Can you also wrap some ice in a towel and bring that.”  David calls out.

 

                “I’ll get it.”  Jennifer follows him down the corridor

 

                “Brian let me have a look at him.  Please?”  David asks.

 

Reluctantly he moves to the side to let David in but keeps a firm hold of his hand.

 

                “Should we take him back to the hospital?”  Jenny asks peering worryingly at him

 

                “Nope he’s fine like he said, I can’t see anything wrong with his eyes and there’s no nausea with the dizziness?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Maybe you should eat something sweetheart?”  Jennifer suggests.

 

                “Yes he should, how long until dinner?”  David looks at Zee

 

                “Shit another hour at least, it’s a slow cook dish.  Oh wait the belly is done can do a roll?”

 

                “That’s perfect.  How soon can he have it?”

 

                “5 mins tops.”

 

                “Actually why don’t we all have something, come on Jen let’s give her a hand.”  Deb calls.

 

Brian scoops Justin off the floor and back onto the couch in their corner, I see Michael’s eye roll.

 

                “Jenny, go bring down a blanket from one of the bedrooms please?”  Faal turns her to the door.

 

                “Please can everyone stop making a fuss, I’m…”

 

 Justin’s objections are cut off with one look from Brian.   Jenny makes a fuss out of covering them with the blanket then dashes to the kitchen.  True to her word, the rolls start appearing, Jenny has taken the time to cut his into quarters.  Within about 10 minutes his colour starts to come back and he starts on Brian’s who lets him have it with a smile.

 

                “You’re coming back to me.”  I hear him whisper.

 

                “I am now stop worrying.”  He whispers back.

 

We decide that a game show on TV is a better idea than the rest of the game until dinner.

 

FAAL

 

                “Okay people so here’s the thing, since it is a PJs lunch we bowl it.  So come ahead, not you two.  Zee will sort you out.”

 

They follow me into the kitchen and help themselves.  Zee comes back with a bigger bowl and loads it up for Brian and Justin.  Soon everyone has their food and are back in the lounge.

 

                “What’s this called, this is delicious?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Rice, peas and chicken…”  Zee starts to reply

 

                “But there are no peas.”  Michael states the obvious but hasn’t started to eat.

 

                “I know but that’s what the kidney beans are called in the Windies hence the name.”

 

                “Windies?”  Tucker questions.

 

                “West Indies…short Windies.”  I explain

 

                “Is there a problem Michael?”  David asks.  “You don’t seem to be eating.”

 

                “Well after the last time Zee cooked and I was ill…”  He trails off.

 

                “Dad how can you be so rude?!”  Jenny is horrified.

 

                “Actually the last time mom cooked you didn’t eat, you were ill because of the food you brought!” 

 

Matt snaps, Hunter puts his hand on his and whispers in his ear, Matt then looks at his mom.

 

                “Mom!”

 

                “Hey it’s a perfectly reasonable tactic.”  She shrugs.

 

                “What you have to share now?”  Debbie calls out.

 

                “Okay…”

 

                “Mom don’t you dare!”  Matt squeaks.

 

                “My son has spoken.  Therefore I cannot.”

 

                “Text us later?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Of course she will.” I reply.

 

                “Seriously what did I do?  I was a good foetus, never gave you morning sickness!”  Matt mutters

               

                “Guys.  I would rather not hear talk of foetuses whilst I am eating.”  Carl grumbles

 

                “This is really good Zee, can I have the recipe…hey that’s my bit you like breast!”  Justin gripes.

 

                “Turkey not chicken.”  Brian kisses away his pout.

 

                “Wait isn’t it over 3 months or more, you must celebrate!”

 

 Jenny is bouncing on her heels, where does she get the energy.

 

                “Isn’t what over 3 month’s honey?”  Debs asks.

 

                “Hunter and Matt.  It’s like a pregnancy, you wait for 3 months until its safe and you know it’s going to be forever and good and lovely.”

 

                “I’m not quite following Jenny maybe you explain this simply?”  David suggests.

 

                “It’s over 3 months since Hunter and Matt met and they should celebrate that.”  She sighs.

 

                “It is!”  They both look surprised.

 

                “Boys are so rubbish at romance!”  She gripes heading to the kitchen.

 

                “Not all boys.”  Zee smiles.

 

                “Uncle Faal doesn’t count!”  She calls back.

 

                “Wait why don’t I count?” 

 

                “The same way Uncle Brian doesn’t count.”  She settles back into her seat.

 

                “Again Jenny, I’m not quite following.”  David prods gently.

 

She sighs heavily and puts her bowl of food down.

 

                “Uncle Brian and Uncle Faal don’t count because they show their love every day with little things.  I don’t know about everyone else but that’s what they do.  Like right now, Uncle Brian really wants that piece of chicken but Uncle Justin needs it more see it’s the little things.”

 

She goes back to eating her food for a bit before turning her attention to David.

 

                “I never got to ask you.  People say I talk to much do you think so?  How did you and dad meet?”

 

                “We got back in touch after we drifted apart.”  David answers.

 

                “Why did you drift apart?” 

 

                “Jenny this is not the time or the place?”  Michael interrupts sharply.

 

The room is quiet.

 

                “I had to move to Portland for my son and…”

 

                “Wait, Portland?  Are you the same David that David?” 

 

                “What David?”  Brian asks having stopped feeding Justin.

 

                “The David that dad said…”

 

                “Jenny Rebecca enough!  No more questions about this do you understand?  It is private.”

 

Michael snaps and storms to the kitchen.  Jenny looks shocked but then frowns, puts down her bowl and follows him.

 

                “Jenny honey now just wait!”  Debs calls following her down.

 

                “Dad what exactly did I do to deserve you embarrassing me like that!”  Jenny demands.

 

We all make it to the kitchen to find Michael with his back to us and Jenny standing in front of him with her hands on her hips in full Debbie mode.

 

                “Watch your tone young lady!” 

 

                “I asked you a question what did I do to deserve that?”  She is holding her ground good for her.

 

                “The questions you were asking were inappropriate and…”

 

                “How, explain to me how those were inappropriate?”

 

                “They just were, they were about my private life and I…”

 

                “Did I ask about you two fucking?   No, I was going ask if he was the same David that I heard about the one that you moved to Portland to be with, if you had let me finish the question!”

 

                “My life before you is…”

 

Jenny took a step back like he struck her.

 

                “None of your business is that what you were going to say?  Fine.  My life from this point onwards is none of yours!” 

 

                “No that’s not what I was going to say!  It’s just that David and I are just starting out again and…”

 

                “And what daddy?”  She snarls derisively.

 

                “I don’t want things from our past to ruin it.”

 

                “So don’t repeat your fuck up, it’s really that simple!” 

 

She snaps and stalks to the door we part like the Red Sea and let her through. 

 

                “I need to kick some ass whose coming?!”  She demands and heads upstairs.

 

The boys follow in silence. 

 

DAVID

 

                “Do you mind if we had the room I would like to speak to Michael alone?”

 

They all nod and leave with Debbie closing the door behind her.

 

                “David…”

 

                “Michael stop.”

 

I take a breath.

 

                “We have to talk, seriously have to talk but not here.  Let’s just get through the rest of the day without any further incidents okay?”

 

He nods and I follow him out.

 

ZEE

 

                “So Dr Kinney can the patient have a really watered down brandy or whisky since he didn’t have wine with dinner?”

 

Brian has resumed his position on the couch but with Justin now between his legs with his chest to his back and the blanket over both of them, they look so content.

 

                “I suppose he can.  As long as he drinks slowly.”

 

Justin wiggles happily and beams at me. 

 

                “What time’s Jenny’s surprise?”  Carl asks.

 

                “Oh shit good point.  Um eight, so they should be home before midnight.” 

 

                “Wait does Gus know?  And he’s kept that quiet?”   Carl is amazed.

 

                “Hunter can be amazingly persuasive when he wants to be.”  Ben chortles

 

                “Yeah just ask Matt.”  Zee smirks.

 

                “Oh wait that reminds me.   What happened to you two?”  Justin asks Emmy Lou.

 

                “When?” 

 

                “When we found the motocross centre, you two disappeared pretty quickly.”

 

                “That’s true.  Drew, you lost so what did you have to do?”  Steve asks excitedly.

 

Drew shakes his head at Brian but grins at the same time.

 

                “In fairness, I should say what I would’ve had to do first in case I lost.”  Brian drawls

 

We all turn to look at him.

 

                “I would’ve had to dance on the Iron Men touchline in a tutu during their next charity match.”

 

                “No you are kidding me?!”  Justin looks up at him in amazement.

 

                “Which is why I didn’t lose.”  He shrugs.

 

                “So what did Drew have to do?”  Ted asks.

 

                “Anything Ems wanted.”  Drew replies

 

                “You’ve missed something out there Mr Boyd.”  Brian chides him

 

                “In bed.”

 

There is an astonished silence.

 

                “Well!”  Jennifer demands.

 

                “A lady never tells.”  Emmy Lou demurs.

 

                “Oh come on!”  Tucker begs

 

                “Wait you wouldn’t deny a poorly Sunshine would you?”  Justin feigns fainting.

 

Emmy Lou looks at Drew and arches a brow.

 

                “The floor is yours Ems, but bear in mind your reputation is at stake…”

 

                “Think of the one thing that this nelly bottom has never done.” 

 

There is silence before realisation sinks in.

 

                “You topped Drew!”  Carl splutters.

 

                “Yep he popped my cherry!”  Drew laughs.

 

                “Wow.  So how was it?”  Jennifer asks.

 

Emmy Lou for once looks embarrassed but pleased with himself.

 

                “Oh that good?”  Deb chuckles.

 

Drew smiles and nods.

 

                “On the subject of beds, who’s overnighting?”  I ask.

 

The only hands that don’t go up are David and Michael’s, which I don’t think anybody is surprised about.

 

                “So who wants brandy and who wants whisky or there is red or white wine hot chocolate and…”

 

                “What and what chocolate?”  Emmy Lou is advancing like a tigress.

 

                “This is where I go to the kitchen and show you how it’s done right?”  I ask.

 

Twenty minutes later we come back with trays of hot chocolate and cookies. 

 

                “I took some up to the kids without the wine of course, Taylor’s sleeping I think she’s done for the night.  And judging by the mardy ass expressions on their faces she’s been kicking ass.”

 

                “Mardy ass?”  Blake asks.

 

                “Mardy ass, it’s a quaint English colloquialism for miserable.”  I explain.

 

Michael scowls in reference to Jenny’s bad mood.

 

                “Oh don’t you get that face on you, you caused it!”  Deb rebukes him.

 

                “She’s right Michael.  Before she goes home why not try and make it up to her?”  Steve suggests.

 

                “Make it up to her if anything she owes me an apology!”  He growls.

 

                “Fine you think what you think and we know what we know.”  Steve ends the conversation.

 

                “That doesn’t even make sense!  Ben seems your boyfriend is only pretty on the outside.”  He sneers.

 

                “For the last time Michael, we are not boyfriends!”  Ben snarls.

 

                “Why not?”  Jenny asks.

 

Everyone turns to look at her.

 

                “Uh…”  Ben looks towards Steve for help who looks like a deer in headlights.

 

                “Dad’s got David, why can’t you have Steve.  Hunter says he goes all schmoopy when he looks at you.” 

 

                “Schmoopy, uh Jenny are you okay?  I mean after earlier?”  Ben asks.

 

                “Yep, now that I know where I stand.  So back to this dating thing, have you been on a date?”

 

                “No we are just friends, good friends but…”

 

                “Aha the “but”, so you could be more than that.  I think you should, you deserve to be finally happy papa.  You don’t have to go on a date now give it time but I think you should.  And before you say anything remember I am a Marcus I can argue anything.  Hey what’s that noise?”

 

Suddenly the external lights all go on.

 

                “Is that a plane?”  Jenny is awestruck.

 

                “Your carriage awaits milady.”  Faal bows deeply.

 

                “My car…what I am going home in this!”  She gasps.

 

I nod at her and am soon engulfed in a hug.

 

                “Gus come on plane’s here!”  I shout.

 

Gus and Matt bring their luggage down and we after some gentle, tearful and cool goodbyes we get them into the plane and they are away.

 

                “Actually we should be going too, can I call a cab?”  David asks.

 

                “Nope.  We’ll call the service for you, um you going to change or you just going to face plant when you get back?” 

 

He chuckles and pauses as if to give the question some serious thought.

 

                “Face plant, definitely face plant.”  He answers with a smile.

 

Faal is already calling and when he’s finished he turns to Michael.

 

                “Are you going to change?”

 

                “No.”

 

Faal frowns at his tone but lets it go, with some considerable effort. 

 

                “Uh David, before you go thanks for Justin you know…”  Brian starts.

 

                “You’re welcome.  He’s going to be fine as long as he doesn’t overdo.  Justin, I am serious you need to rest nothing too strenuous.  So go easy on him Stud.” 

 

Brian looks gobsmacked and just nods and Michael again rolls his eyes.

 

                “Well thank you for a curate’s egg of a day which is not a reflection on you or Faal.” 

 

                “Want some cookies?”  I ask.

 

                “Please, any chance of one of each?” 

 

I nod and he follows me to the kitchen 

 

                “About earlier…”

 

                “Car’s here!”  Faal calls out.

 

                “Another time, at least I have a good example of how not to do it in Michael.  Goodnight.”

 

                “Goodnight.”

 

CAR SERVICE

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael, before you say anything, I’m tired.  Let’s meet tomorrow and we will talk then.”

 

I don’t wait for his response and just close my eyes.

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

                “Curate’s egg?”

 

                “Good in parts.”  Jennifer answers.

 

                “Well on the MNRS where was it?”  Red asks

 

                “About 8 may 8.5.”  Ted laughs.

 

                “Is it me or was Jenny being a bit of a…”

 

                “Snot nose?  Oh yeah, did you hear the “I know where I stand” and “you deserve to be finally happy” comments!”  Red guffaws.

 

                “And when, when she said I am a Marcus I can argue anything, I almost had to jam my fist in my mouth!”  Emmett is holding his sides.

 

                “And it’s a bush…”  Blake splutters.

 

                “I wanted to cry when he said that!  Jenny was so ashamed.”  Faal groans.

 

                “I wonder if there is ziti at home, notice he only ate the cookies?  Oh God when he said that about the food I seriously thought Matt was going to slap him.”  Tucker was shaking with laughter.

 

                “Did you see his face when you mentioned the bet and that you topped Drew?  And David calling Brian Stud?  He looked like he discovered that Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny are fake.”

 

 I wipe my eyes.

 

                “Oh my God the horror!”  Steve feigns shock and collapses against Ben, clutching his heart.

 

                “And the coup de gras, the plane taking them home.  He looked like someone dripped lemon juice down his ass!”

 

                “Hunter!”  Red hollers laughing.

 

                “Well he’s pissed because he can’t get the money back on the ticket.”

 

                “Please stop, I can’t laugh anymore, poorly person remember!” 

 

                “And on that note, I am taking said poorly person to bed.”  Brian chuckles.

 

                “Remember to go easy stud, a proper doctor’s orders!”  Faal calls out.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin is still chuckling quietly when we get to our room.  At some point the fire has been banked so it’s not overwhelmingly hot. 

 

                “How’d it feel?”  He asks.

 

                “What?”

 

                “Didn’t you notice?  Michael didn’t talk to you once.  So how’d it feel?”

 

I blink a couple of times and realise he’s right.

 

                “Good it felt really good, he’s most likely still waiting for an apology, which he’s not going to get.”

 

He beams at me and goes to get into bed still dressed.

 

                “No Zee says that with the blankets and the PJs we will be too hot…”

 

                “However will I keep warm then?”  He smiles coquettishly at me.

 

                “Are you sure?”

 

                “Just go slow okay?”  He murmurs.

 

I cover his mouth with mine in a deep tongue fucking kiss, cradling his head gently.  I kiss a trail down his neck and back behind his earlobe, causing him to wiggle and sigh.

 

                “Wait shouldn’t we at…”

 

                “And I quote, those sheets are made for fucking on, so get on with it.”  I tell him nipping at his neck.

 

                “Who…oh!”

 

                “Faal, now shush.”

 

Softly I kiss a trail to his chest and bring his nipples to hardness, sometimes I miss his ring.  I kiss down both sides of his chest leaving hickeys over his heart.  He arches his back when I get to his belly button and swirl my tongue inside and he lets out a little mewl of pleasure.  As I slide down his body I leave a trail of precum on his thigh.

 

                “Turn over.” 

 

Slowly he rolls onto his stomach and sighs happily.  I grab the honey dust and oil from the gift basket and warm the oil between my hands.

 

                “What’s that smell, it smells so nice?”

 

I press both hands onto his shoulders massaging the still tense muscles there and sweeping down his arms, paying particular attention to his hands, easing the tension in his fingers.  I stroke back upwards and then massage his back, easing the kinks out in every vertebrae.  He is starting to purr.  Ignoring his bubble butt, I sweep more warmed oil down his legs massaging his thighs, his calves and each of his toes.  He starts to rut and whimper.

 

Pouring more oil, I start at the base of his spine before sliding my hands over my idea of heaven, squeezing gently but firmly.  Spreading his cheeks I sprinkle some honey dust down his crack and a drop of oil, as my tongue makes contact he squeals.

 

                “Oh God!”

 

Even without them he tastes good but now he tastes better I work my tongue from top of his crack to his balls, lathing them one by one, he grabs frantically at the blankets.  I apply more honey dust and oil and after pushing a pillow under his hips work my way inside and squeeze his cheeks.

 

                “Unh, oh, oh!  Don’t stop please don’t stop!”

 

I slide in an oiled finger and reach his prostate, slowly massage it.

 

                “Oh my, oh Jesus, there, yes there, um, ah, I think, Brian wait, I…oh fuck!

 

Suddenly he explodes collapsing in a boneless heap, I put the pillow on the floor and shudder out my release onto it as I watch him twitch and jerk.

 

                “Was that what you had in mind?”  I whisper pulling him into my arms.

 

                “What about you?”  He mumbles as he starts to drift off.

 

                “I got mine, now sleep.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS – NEXT MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I am pacing waiting for David to come.  I have decided not to open up today, we need to talk without interruptions or fawning over poorly Boy Wonder.  I am still smarting that neither Brian nor Ted have apologised to me yet but I need to fix this with David first.

 

I hear the door knocking and let him in with a smile.

 

                “I got coffee, the good stuff not the stuff from the diner.”  I tell him.

 

                “I wouldn’t let your ma hear you say that.”

 

                “So, look I know I have been a bit off lately…”

 

                “A bit off?”  He repeats.

 

                “But I was just so worried about…”

 

                “No you weren’t.”

 

I look surprise at that.

 

                “Whatever it is you are going to say you were worried about you weren’t.”

 

                “I don’t…”

 

                “I have to admit Michael that I came here with an ulterior motive but even that’s not even is enough to keep me seeing you.  You’ve only demonstrated that nothing has changed in your life, you’re still the same man-boy I sent home all those years ago.  The only thing that’s grown for you is your jealousy of the people around you who have grown up and moved on in their lives!  You led me to believe all kinds of bullshit about Brian still being the Stud of Liberty Avenue; he and Justin love and always will love each other and that was never more evidenced than yesterday.  The fact that you even entertained keeping Jenny from Ben and Hunter is despicable to me.  And then the way you treated her, what did you tell her about us Michael?  I have to admit that I was jealous of Brian and his relationship with you but I’ve now realised from these visits Michael, it’s not nor was it ever him pushing that it was you.  And it is still is you chasing that ghost…the ghost of your past with Brian.”

 

                “I want my money back.”  I demand.

 

                “What money?”  He asks.

 

                “The $50K I lent you to invest!”  I shout.

 

                “You gave it to me Michael so you can’t have it back.”

 

                “What stocks did you invest it in?”  I ask.

 

“I didn’t.  I used it for some expenses I had.  For that I am sorry but it’s done and there is nothing you can do about it.  Now I’m going, do not contact me and when I am back for the perspective don’t approach me either.”

 

As I sag against the counter in shock he leaves.

 

DAVID

 

                “Hey Charles, I’m on my way back, I’ll explain then, yeah you were right.  See you soon.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe what just happened, why me?!  I’m a good person.  Well if he thinks he’s getting away with that then he can think again.  I want my money back and Brian and Ted are going to help me get it!

 

TBC…

 

 

End Notes:

If you think Jenny's done with daddy think again.  Please review and be constructive and kind.

Chapter 16 by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

Coming up to the big one...

CHAPTER 16 – CATCHING A BREAK, A BLOW FROM THE NORTH…


 


TREEHOUSE – MONDAY MID MORNING


 


BRIAN


 


I was having a nice dream, where I was not being interrupted by the insistent ring of my mobile ah it’s stopped but now the door is fucking knocking!


 


                “Whoever this is had better have a body to bury!”


 


I rip open the door and am greeted by Blake who promptly goes bright red and turns around. 


 


                “Um sorry Brian, but Cynthia has been trying to get hold of you, but couldn’t so called Ted, uh Grunberg want to sign…”


 


                “Grunberg are you sure that’s what she said?”


 


He nods still not turning to look at me.


 


                “Ted is already on his way home to pack, she said she’s booked tickets for the 1915 flight and the meeting is at 0800 at their offices, she’s prepped the travel pack and wants to know where to pick you up from?   Ted will meet you at the airport at 1700.”


 


                “Thanks Blake, I’ll take it from here.”


 


                “You’re welcome.” 


 


He mumbles but before the door closes I hear him ask himself how Justin sits down afterwards, I resist the temptation to shout back “carefully” and snatch up my phone.  Fuck I have 10 missed calls from her.


 


                “Sorry Cyn, I was just so tired what with Justin.  Send the car to the Loft, did Murph check the boards, when did they call, how much is the deal, is legal on standby?”


 


She answers my rapid fire questions with her usual aplomb as I get dressed one handed in the sweats that I got from Faal, I hang up on her and find myself looking into Justin’s sleepy blue eyes.


 


                “Did I hear Grunberg?”  He mumbles and sits up rubbing his eyes and blinking slowly.


 


                “Yeah, thing is the meeting’s tomorrow and I have to fly tonight.”


 


                “Brian I said I am fine and I am now go get them Stud!”


 


I sigh heavily and sit on the bed giving him a soft kiss. 


 


                “I’ll be back tomorrow night okay?  Want to stay here or go back home?” 


 


I get my answer as he lies back down and hugs my pillow to his chest.


 


                “Safe flight, love you.”  He mumbles as he goes back to sleep.


 


                “Love you baby.”  I kiss his temple and wait till his breathing evens out.


 


When I get downstairs, Faal is already up and fixing a travel mug of coffee and hands me some juice.


 


                “Ted came to tell us what was going on.  The car’s waiting and, not that you need it, good luck and safe flight.”


 


                “Thanks.  I’ll be back tomorrow night.  So far Justin’s happy to stay here but he has moments of inappropriate stubbornness.”


 


                “We’ll handle him now get going.”


 


FAAL


 


I shake my head as he runs to the car and head to the basement, where Blake, Deb, Emmett and Drew are either lounging by or using the pool, everyone else had gone earlier.


 


                “He gone?”  Blake asks.


 


                “Yeah.  Justin is still asleep, I’ll go check on him in an hour or so.”


 


                “Right who’s for brunch?”  Zee calls down.


 


Wrapping my arms round her, I nuzzle her neck and help her plate up brunch, fully loaded pork belly rolls and mimosas if wanted.


 


                “Shall we take these to the lounge?  I don’t know about you lot but I could do without moving a muscle today.  Wait, where are the boys?”  Zee asks stretching out on the sofa.


 


                “Went back with Brian.”  I reply.


 


She nods and gives a small smile and then yawns.


 


                “Honey why don’t you go back to bed?  We’ll clear up here when we’re done.”  Debs asks gently.


 


She lifts her head and nods at the suggestion.


 


                “Yeah, I think that’s a great…what’s that?” 


 


She heads to the armchair and reaching underneath it pulls out a watch, a very expensive watch.


 


                “Nice very nice.”  I whistle.  “Any inscription?”


 


She checks and shakes her head.


 


                “Oh check inside the back, sometimes it’s on there or an issue number.”  Drew suggests


 


                “It’s David’s.  Let me find out where they dropped him off last night.”  She heads to her phone.


 


                “Let us do that honey, go get some rest…don’t make me have to tuck you in!”


 


Debs takes her firmly by the arm and leads her up the stairs to the bedrooms.


 


I call the service and they dropped him off at his hotel so I leave a message for him to call me back.


 


RED CAPE COMICS – MID AFTERNOON


 


MICHAEL


 


I wake up with a jolt, covered in sweat and shaking.  I look round and spot the two empty cups of coffee next to the bed and David’s scarf and sigh with relief…it was all a dream, a nightmarish one but a dream nevertheless.


 


                “David?”


 


When he doesn’t answer I head to the bathroom but he’s not there.  I call his number but it rolls to voicemail.  My heart is still racing from the dream so I head down to the store and lock up properly and head back to have a shower maybe that will make me feel better.


 


TREEHOUSE


 


JUSTIN


 


I love these sheets, I want to get one for every room in the house.  I turn over just as Faal is walking back out.


 


                “I’m awake.”  I call out.


 


                “Ah, good, how are you feeling?”  He perches on the end of the bed.


 


                “Hungry but a lot better no fuzziness.”  I smile at him.


 


                “Good!  Then back in PJs and Brian said to call when you wake up.  Want the fire banked up tonight since you will be here?”  He raises an eyebrow in challenge.


 


I give a small chuckle and nod and then yawn.


 


                “Call Brian and maybe join Zee, she’s back in bed that way I don’t have to go to two rooms.”


 


He heads out and I pick up my phone.


 


                “Hey.”


 


                “Hey, you at the airport?”


 


                “On my way now.  Where are you?”


 


                “Still in bed, don’t worry I am not going anywhere until you get back okay I promise.”


 


                “You had better not or you will have to be punished…”


 


I groan and he chuckles.


 


                “Keep that and the fact I owe you two blow jobs in mind until I get home, okay?”


 


                “Later.”


 


                “Later.”


 


I pad to the bathroom and brush my teeth then touch the back of my head, it is quite tender but I think the swelling is going down.  Putting the PJs back on I head to their room, where Zee is sitting up in bed flicking through a magazine looking very bored.


 


                “By order of Deb.”  She grumps. 


 


I sit on the edge of the bed and Faal comes in with a tray with food and a steaming coffee for me and a large mug of red wine for her.


 


                “To sneak it passed Deb and to help you sleep.”  He winks at her and heads out.


 


                “He does realise she wouldn’t have been fooled right?”  I ask.


 


                “What do you think?”  She smiles.


 


I regret not putting my socks on so curl my feet up under me to keep them warm, she looks at me and sighs.


 


                “Justin, get in if you want.”


 


I beam at her and snuggle under the blankets and after a few minutes of quiet, I turn to her.


 


                “I was really scared.”  I whisper.


 


                “Because you hit your head again?”


 


                “Mmm, you know I still can’t remember much of my prom?  I’m afraid what little memory I do have will go away again.  Sometimes I have flashes that I think are from my prom but they’re fuzzy and I don’t want to ask Brian in case…”


 


                “It gets his hopes up?”


 


                “Yeah, is that selfish of me?”


 


                “I can see where you are coming from.  But I think he would prefer to have his hopes dashed than not know don’t you?  How did you feel when he didn’t tell you about the cancer?”


 


Slowly I brush away my tears, she proffers her mug with a smile and I take a big gulp.


 


                “Fucked off but that’s not the same…”


 


                “In a way it is, it’s a battle that he wanted to fight on his own because he didn’t want your pity, hold on, but once you found out you ripped him a new one and helped him fight back, let him do the same, let him fill in the blanks.”


 


We hear a sniffle at the door and Emmy Lou is standing there with tears running down his face.  Zee lifts the blanket next to me and he gets in wrapping his arms round me and I nod, I have to let Brian help.


 


RED CAPE COMICS – EARLY EVENING


 


MICHAEL


 


I wake up to my phone ringing, reaching blindly for it I mumble my hello, but it is the ring of my voicemail, finally David has called me back.


 


                “Michael stop calling me.  As I explained earlier I don’t want to see you anymore.  I am having your number blocked.”


 


I stare at my phone as reality dawns it was not a dream.  Fuck!  Oh fuck!  I need to call Brian.


 


                “Kinnetic this is Bethany how may I direct your call?”


 


                “I need to speak to Brian!”


 


                “Mr…”


 


                “Bethany, this is urgent, put me through to him immediately!”


 


                “He’s not in the office…”


 


I put the phone down and dial his cell, it rolls to voicemail, so I keep trying for another 10 minutes.  He’s most likely looking after Boy Wonder.  I try Ted’s cell but that rolls too, so I call Kinnetic again.


 


                “Kinnetic this is Bethany how may I direct your call?”


 


                “I need to speak to Ted now!”


 


                “He’s also not in the office Mr Novotny, may I take a message?”


 


                “No I shall fucking find them myself, thanks for being oh so helpful!”  I snarl and hang up.


 


I grab my coat and head to Woody’s and they aren’t there.  I decide to wait to see if they will turn up and have a drink, after half an hour I head to Britin.


 


BRITIN


 


ALICE


 


The insistent leaning on the bell only means one thing.


 


                “Lord have mercy, I do not have the patience for this man today!”


 


I take a deep breath and open the door.


 


                “Mr Novotny…”


 


He pushes past me and starts yelling for Brian.


 


                “Oh hell no you did not just do that!”  I bellow at him.


 


He spins round in surprise.


 


                “Wh…”


 


                “How dare you push me around like that, who the fuck do you think you are?”


 


                “I’m Brian’s best friend and you…”


 


                “Alice is there a problem?”   Vince, one of the security guards, is in the doorway.


 


                “Yes this person was just leaving!  Please escort him off the premises, before I have him charged with trespassing!”  I snarl.


 


                “I’m not leaving until…”


 


                “If Alice says you’re gone then you’re gone.  You can either walk or I will assist you to your car.”


 


He takes a good look at Vince and decides walking is a better option, once he’s through the gates, I tell them to make sure he’s not let in until Brian or Justin say so.   I know that I am most likely overstepping my bounds but I don’t give a fuck.


 


                “Alice, you okay?  Shall I get George?  Maybe you two should stay in the house tonight, I’m sure they won’t mind.”  Vince puts his arm round me and gives me a quick squeeze.


 


I nod and decide this is a good idea, well that and a very large glass of brandy. 


 


MICHAEL


 


I can’t believe that bitch Alice had me thrown out of Britin, just wait until Brian hears about this, he will have her ass for that!  I am going to head to ma’s, I can’t believe this is happening to me.


 


TREEHOUSE


 


FAAL


 


I’m tired, it was good to get into the office for a couple of hours but I am tired.  I am looking forward to the weekend when it will just be the two of us, most likely Hunter and Matt will be at the loft, I think everyone could do with a weekend in their own homes. 


 


Before I went I checked up on Zee and she was tucked up fast asleep with Justin and Emmett.  Drew said he would send the service for him when he wakes up and took Blake and Deb with him. 


 


As I come in I notice a message on the machine.


 


                “Hi Faal, its David.  Thanks for the message, I had wondered where I had lost that.  Would it be possible for us to meet somewhere, not the diner, in the morning so I can collect it, as I fly out tomorrow afternoon?  My number is 503 619 7855, that’s 503 619 7855.”


 


                “Why not the diner?”


 


                “Neuken!  Jeez don’t do that!”  I yelp.


 


She tries and fails not to smile, she doesn’t often catch me out.


 


                “Sorry.”


 


                “No you’re not you are keeping score!”


 


She nods and pulls me down for a consoling kiss.  Heading to the kitchen she waves the Barolo at me, I nod and grab the glasses.


 


                “Feeling better?  Where’s Emmett and Justin?”


 


                “Much, I was a little tightly wound I guess.  They’re in Justin’s room, Emmett took one look squealed, ran to his room to get his stuff and they’ve been glued to movies ever since, think we have an extra guest.  Oh and they’ve discovered the joys of Guinness ice cream floats.”


 


                “And who showed them that?”  I nuzzle her ear


 


                “Food Network I think.”


 


                “Ah I see, well speaking of food before we eat, I shall call David and arrange a meeting, want to come?”


 


                “Yeah, he might continue what he was saying over the weekend.”


 


I make the call and arrange to meet at 0900.


 


TORONTO – MEL & LINDZ HOUSE


 


MEL


 


                “Lindz are you ever going to stop sulking about this?”


 


                “I am not sulking.  You didn’t hear how he talked to me Mel, I felt like I was being scolded!”


 


I grit my teeth and take a breath.


 


                “You most probably were because it has nothing to do with you.”


 


                “But it affects Gus!”


 


                “How, please explain to me how it affects Gus because I don’t…”


 


                “It’s his inheritance that he’s giving away!” 


 


                “What on earth are you talking about, that is nothing to them it’s a tax write off depending on the quarter.  Besides you know Gus is already provided for!”


 


My grip on my temper is beginning to loosen as she sits down angrily, glares at me and starts to argue some more.


 


                “No Lindz…now I am going to check on the kids.  I don’t want to talk about this anymore okay.”


 


                “You’re the one that brought it up!”


 


                “Because you are the one that is sulking, now grow up for fuck sake!”


 


I head upstairs Jenny has been FaceTiming with Hunter for the last half hour, as I pass her door I hear Hunter’s voice.


 


                “Don’t cry, please J.  Where’s my strong sister who stood up to him a lot calmer than I would’ve done if he spoke to me like that and the one that kicked our asses at boxing.  We’re all so proud of…uh J”


 


                “What?”  She sniffles


 


                “Your mom’s behind you.”


 


                “Jenny, what’s happened why are you crying?  Hunter you stay there!”


 


                “Dad and I had a row and he, he said something horrible and he’s going to treat me the way he’s treated Hunter I know it!”


 


She flings herself into my arms and starts sobbing.


 


                “Hunter what did he say?”


 


                “J he wouldn’t dare.  Um Mel I really think it would…okay mom glare…she was asking about him and the doctor.  Nothing bad but he got really pissy about it and told her to stop asking questions.  She felt embarrassed and starts shouting back and he said he wasn’t going to say that his life before her is none of her business but…” 


 


                “Sweetheart why didn’t you tell me?” 


 


                “Um can I go now?”  He asks


 


                “Yes, I will get her to call you when she’s calmer okay?  Gus!”


 


Gus comes in sighing.


 


                “I told her to tell you but she didn’t want to...”


 


I nod and let him go back to his room.


 


                “Jenny when things like this happen you have to tell me.”


 


                “I will from now on.  We think it’s because papa serviced, sorry served, the divorce papers.”


 


                “Right, young lady go get ready for bed and don’t worry about anything okay?”


 


She nods and heads to the bathroom, as I head back downstairs I put my head round Gus’s door.


 


                “So you want to tell me about how he’s been treating Hunter?”


 


By the time he’s finished I am fucked off and exhausted, luckily Lindz is asleep on the sofa so I don’t have to deal with her histrionics about this as well.  If she heard that my guess is she will use it as an excuse to go play mediator or whatever bullshit act she’s trying to pull these days.


 


MICHAEL


 


I can’t believe that Brian and Ted are still not returning my calls.  I finally get to ma’s as traffic was a bitch and find them dozing on the sofa.


 


                “David stole my money!”  I cry out.


 


                “What?  What the fuck is going on?!”  Carl yells startled.


 


                “Didn’t you hear what I just said, David stole my money!”


 


                “What money and how did he steal it?”  Carl asks slowly coming round.


 


I sit down heavily and put my head in my hands. 


 


                “Let me get some coffee and you can start again without…”  Ma begins


 


                “You have to arrest him Carl!”  I snap.


 


                “Michael!  Calm down!  How did this happen?”  Carl barks.


 


                “Two years ago after we reconnected, I gave David…”


 


                “Wait you said stole just now.”


 


                “Ma don’t interrupt!”


 


                “Watch your mouth or take it to the police station, see how far it gets you!”  She snaps back


 


I stare at her furiously


 


                “As I was saying.  I gave David money to invest for me to provide a future for Jenny and I and he said he would but after we broke up this morning he said that he had spent it on himself and that I gave it to him and I can’t have it back!  That’s stealing!” 


 


                “How much are we talking here?”  Carl asks.


 


                “$50K.” 


 


                “How much!  I didn’t think the store was doing that well!”  He comments


 


                “Well I got an injection of funds and…”


 


                “Wait, how did he know about the money in the first place?”  Ma asks.


 


                “Because I told him.”  I say slowly.


 


She scratches her head and sighs heavily.


 


                “Again with the mouth!”


 


I take a deep draught on my coffee and stop my eye roll.


 


                “Can we please go so that I can file a complaint and you can go and arrest him?”


 


                “No.”  Carl replies


 


                “What do you mean no?  He’s stolen $50K of my money!”


 


                “I mean no I am not going, I’m on homicide and this sounds like fraud.   You go and tell the fraud squad.  Before you go there, realise that it will be his word against yours, go there with all documentation about the investments he was going to make for you, like certificates and all emails between the two of you about them.  Also you need to go in there calmly, so I suggest a good night’s sleep and go tomorrow morning.”


 


                “A good night’s…”


 


                “Michael there is nothing you can do right now, the money is, to all intents and purposes, gone so what is one more day going to do?”


 


He gets up and takes me by the elbow and leads me to the door.


 


POST GRUNBERG MEETING – TUESDAY


 


BRIAN


 


I can’t fucking believe it, they signed.  We have just got a $60 million contract!  Ted and I just look at each other, we knew the figure would be big but $60 million and it only took an hour!


 


                “Okay I am not quite sure what to say Bri…”


 


                “We need to call Cynthia and get her to move the flights to lunchtime but don’t say why, I want to see her face when we tell her.”


 


He nods and makes the call.


 


COFFEE SHOP


 


FAAL


 


                “Wonder what’s keeping him?”


 


                “He’s got another 5 minutes…ah there he is.”  Zee soothes.


 


                “Faal, Zee thank you for keeping this for me.  Would you like a coffee or a tea?”


 


                “No we’re good thanks, here you go, but what made you take it off in the first place?”  I ask.


 


                “Kept catching on my PJs for which again thank you.”  He puts it on with a sigh of relief.


 


                “Faal says that this is your last day until the end of next week when you’re coming to see Justin’s perspective right?”


 


He nods and takes a sip of his coffee.


 


                “I can’t believe he’s still so young and so talented.  How is he by the way, I hope he got a lot of rest?” 


 


                “He’s most likely still coming down from his sugar high though.”  Zee snickers.


 


David frowns and looks between us.


 


                “He and Emmett discovered the joys of Guinness floats…almost virgin ones for him of course but still chockful of sugar.”


 


                “Um if you don’t mind me asking?  Are you and Michael okay?”  I hedge.


 


He sighs again and shakes his head.


 


                “I have to say I was shocked and appalled at the way he spoke to Jenny, it’s not as if the questions were intrusive.  And she wasn’t even asking him.”


 


                “True.  But she held her own though.  She’s a sweet kid, we’ve never met her 2 moms, seen pictures never met, think they are coming for the perspective though isn’t that right Zee?”


 


She nods and takes a sip of water.


 


                “Mel and Lindz, they have been together for almost as long as you two.”  He comments


 


                “You’ve met them, what are they like did you go to Toronto with Michael to meet them?  Which one is the Marcus again?”  Zee asks.


 


                “No I met them the first time we dated, Michael and I.  And that would be Mel, she’s a lawyer and Lindz is an art teacher.  Lost touch with pretty much all of them when I moved to Portland to be with my son after his mother’s divorce.  It was nice to catch up with them, some surprises along the way.”


 


                “Speaking of sons, do you want to finish our conversation we started on Sunday?”  Zee asks


               


“Ah the clusterfuck.”  He nods thoughtfully.


 


We sit back and wait, I can feel my leg starting to twitch with impatience.


 


                “Okay, so about 3 years ago I got stupid with some stocks and shares and got caught, long story short, had to pay a massive fine, and I had to pool everything to pay it off including my son’s college fund.  This did not make me father of the year.  To compound that, he thinks I have lied to him about who I am…”


 


We must have looked confused.


 


                “What I mean is, he thinks I lied to him about being gay.”


 


                “And did you?”  Zee asks


 


                “Not really, I just didn’t feel the need to tell him that I still get the urge.”


 


                “So you’re bisexual then and this bothers him?  A little hypocritical no?”  I asks.


 


                “Yes I suppose, but I’ve always been “gay” since he was nine and now I have a daughter, which was a surprise to me too. I didn’t know about her until 2012 when her mother tracked me down and demanded child support, it was a one night thing but DNA says she’s mine.”


 


                “Do you see her and does he know that you do.  What’s her name by the way?” Zee ponders.


 


He nods with a small smile.


 


                “Ye, her name is Sarah, and yes.”


 


                “Sure it’s not just good old fashioned jealousy on his part, you are not his number one focus anymore.  Have you sent him an email or written a letter to reassure and explain everything? Doing that kind of thing by phone can be difficult.”  I suggest.


 


He sits back and gazes thoughtfully out of the window and then frowns.


 


                “I-I hadn’t thought of that.  And no I’ve never explained exactly what happened just that it did, in fact you both more than he does, which isn’t right.  I-I think I will try that.”  He murmurs


 


                “So did Michael and Hank ever meet?”  Zee asks


 


I cock an eyebrow, where’s she going with this?


 


        “Yes he came to visit once whilst I lived here and after an initially frosty start they did bond and of course when we moved to Portland Hank would stay at our house…why?


 


        “Just wondered if he could act as an intermediary you know.”


 


Seriously what the hell is she doing?


 


“I’m not sure that would work as I said, I am not sure we can go forward, Michael and I.  They bonded through a love of comic books.  Michael could spend $150 on a comic book but not put savings in an account.  At 12 Hank was more worldly than Michael, I am not bragging off on him but he was reading the financial pages at that point and Michael was still wearing Captain Astro boxers…”


 


                “Thanks for the visual.”   I shudder.


 


                “He did look good in them though.”


 


                “Financial pages at 12, did he ever dabble?  I am not brave enough.  I like the solidity of money, if you see what I mean?”  Zee shivers for emphasis.


 


                “It can be daunting for a newcomer.  Hank and Michael bought stock together whilst they were in Portland, TalonMotor Government Bonds, Michael was so nervous we literally had to hold his hand when he was handing over the money to invest it, I guess $1,000 was a lot for him then, us not so much, but he’s doing great now, well apart from the marriage breakdown, but at least he’s making a living out his store.  Although his parental skills leave a lot to be desired, what’s the deal with him and Hunter, I mean I understand that Hunter feels that he should’ve caught the pills thing but to shut Michael off is bit much.” 


 


Zee and I exchange looks, what pills thing?


 


                “Well…”  I drawl


 


                “He seems a lot calmer now he’s with Matt apparently it was love at first sight for your son.”


 


We both smile at that and store that away for teasing later. 


 


                “The more I think about it the more I know that we are just too different, though can I tell you a secret?


 


We both nod and he leans forward.


 


                “When Debs fainted and we were trying to help her up, I broke Captain Astro’s fingers, payback for being bruised every time I walked passed the damn thing during one of our romantic dinners!”


 


He looks at his watch and sighs regretfully then smiles.


 


“I have to go.  I have to finish packing and whilst it is on my mind write an email.  I really enjoyed meeting you both and hope to see you at the perspective.


 


                “Nice to meet you too David see you then.” 


 


I shake his hand and Zee kisses his cheek and then he is gone.


 


                “So we may have been wrong about him but I do believe that we may have just caught a fucking break don’t you?”  She asks.


 


                “Fuck yeah!”  I reply kissing her soundly.


 


KINNETIC – MID AFTERNOON


 


CYNTHIA


 


So the meeting took an hour and they are now back in the Pitts heading to the office this is not good.  Okay here they are show time.  We head to Brian’s office and he switches on the office wide intercom.


 


                “May I have your attention please, Ted and I went to Grunberg this morning in hopes of signing a $20 million contract, unfortunately, that didn’t happen.  We signed a $60 million one instead now fuck off for the rest of the week, the lot of you.  Yes I am serious get going!  Well done!”


 


I stand there in shock.


 


                $60 million as in dollars, American dollars?”  I gasp


 


They are both grinning at me and nodding.


 


                “Over 5 years with an option to renew after 3 if sales go as predicted!”


 


I feel the world start to tilt and Ted puts me in a chair and Brian hands me a drink and then steadies my hand so I can drink it.


 


                “Fuck me!”  I gasp.


 


                “Nope gonna fuck Justin.  See ya Monday!”


 


BRIAN


 


                “Hey, where you at young buck?” 


 


                “Hi!  Am in the diner you want me to order anything for you?”


 


                “Nah see you in a few.”


 


                “Okay.”


 


JUSTIN


 


                “Brian’s on his way.” 


 


Zee and Faal are tucked in the corner one side and Emmett is in the other corner.  Nobody has heard from Michael today and for that we are grateful.  But apparently he’s been calling Brian and Ted non-stop and was viciously rude to Bethany on Monday and Alice wants to talk to us about his evening visit.  God, this man just creates shitstorms wherever he goes.


 


The bell above the door goes and Brian strides in heading straight to our booth, before I can say anything he drops his briefcase on the table and pulls me into the corridor. 


 


He covers my mouth with his and his tongue demands entrance.   Sucking first on my lower lip and then my tongue he deepens the kiss holding my head gently with one hand and the other attacking my belt.  I start to whimper as he starts to jerk me off.  Arching my back I moan into his mouth clutching at his arm and tugging at his hair to get him to stop.  But he is relentless…he continues kissing and jerking before his mouth slides down to attack my neck.


 


                “Brian!  What’s got, oh God, not here, sl-slow down, I won’t last if you keep, oh, oh, ah, fuck, mmm!”


 


                “Not gonna stop.”  He growls and speeds up


 


                “Christ!  Ah, ah, unh, gonna, gonna, oh!”


 


I explode into his hand and I feel it run down my thighs.  I sag against the wall as my breathing normalises and look at him with dazed eyes.


 


                “Grunberg signed a $60 yes $60 million contract.”  He whispers.


 


                “Fuck.”  I breathe.


 


                “Yep the moment we get home that’s what’s going to happen, buckle up little boy!  I am going to give you the ride of your life!”


 


He grabs his briefcase and to rousing laughter and applause leads me out of the diner and home.


 


RED CAPE COMICS


 


MICHAEL


 


I am going through all the emails I have sent to that fucking thief and liar! 


 


I can’t believe Brian and Ted haven’t replied to any of my messages yet.  I have been trying Kinnetic all afternoon and getting the voicemail saying that the office is closed for the week, yeah right as if Brian is ever going to do that!  I’m going to head over to the diner to see if I can catch up with ma.


 


DINER


 


FAAL


 


                “Well if that doesn’t beat all!”  I say.


 


The diner erupts again just as Michael comes in.


 


                “What’s so fucking funny?!”  He snarls and sits down.


 


                “You missed the reunion of the century.”  Kiki giggles.


 


                “Now that sounded hot, shame there was no visual.”  A leather clad bear laughs.


 


                “Only Kinney could pull that off!”  His table mate laughs alongside him.


 


                “Oh very good!”  Kiki exclaims as she puts down their order.


 


                “Brian was here!  Where is he now?!”


 


Michael is very agitated for some reason.


 


                “He’s gone home with Justin…”  Zee replies


 


                “Oh Boy Wonder’s recovered has he!”


 


                “Michael, Brian has told you about calling Justin that, he doesn’t like it.”  I warn


 


                “Well he’s not here!”


 


                “But we are and we don’t like it so cut it out!”  Zee snaps.


 


                “Now you listen to me you…”


 


                “What, what is it you are going to call my wife?” 


 


                “Can’t she stand up for herself?!”  Michael snarks.


 


                “Yes she can but believe me you would rather I kicked your ass than she did!”  I growl back.


 


He looks across at Zee, who is giving him her die and die now glare. 


 


                “Michael what did the police say?”  Debs comes rushing over.


 


She sits down next to me and waits.


 


                “Michael what did they say?”  She repeats.


 


                “Nothing I haven’t been yet, I’ve been gathering evidence.”


 


                “Evidence?  What’s this about?”  Emmett queries, casting glances at us.


 


                “David stole some money from me and I want it back!”


 


                “Oh my God when did this happen?”  Emmett gasps.


 


                “Two years ago.”  He mumbles.


 


                “And you’ve only just noticed?”  Zee drawls sarcastically.


 


He flashes her a filthy look but wisely keeps his mouth shut.


 


                “So care to expand a little?  See if we can help some hmmm?”   Emmett suggests


 


                “I gave him some money to invest a couple of years ago and he’s not done that.  I want it back now that I’ve dumped him but he says since I “gave” it to him he can’t give it back as the money’s gone.”


 


                “You dumped him?  Wait how much was it and what was the investment for?” 


 


Emmett prods, then he looks up in surprise.


 


                “Yes, we were just not working out.  It was $50K and for the future of Jenny and I...”


 


                “Hi Michael…”  A lady calls out.


 


His face registers surprise and he stands to embrace her only to be front and back slapped across the face hard!


 


                “That’s what you get for Sunday!”  She snarls at him as he clutches his face.


 


She strides up to the booth, looking round at us she smiles and puts out her hand.


 


                “Hi I am Melanie Marcus, Jenny’s mom.  You must be Zee and you must be Faal, a pleasure to meet you both.  Hi Emmett, Debs how are both of you doing?”


 


DEBS


 


What the fuck just happened?  When did Mel get here?  The entire diner is silent as Kiki hands her a wet towel for her hand, she says.


 


                “Mel what the fuck is wrong with you what did you do that for!”  Michael shouts.


 


                “For Sunday, now do we leave it there or shall we let the entire diner know what you weren’t going to say!”


 


                “I wasn’t going to say anything!”  He snaps back.


 


She rolls her eyes at me and hands me back the towel.


 


                “Of course you weren’t, that’s the problem with you Michael you are always never going to do something!  Like grow up for instance!  Well last night I had to console Jenny over something you never did.  It’s going to take a lot for her to forgive you, so if you want that I suggest you get on the phone and start fucking grovelling!  Okay, need to get going, this was just a slap and dash visit.  Nice to meet you Zee, Faal albeit it briefly.”


 


And with that Mel heads to the door.


 


                “Wait Mel I need your help as a lawyer.”  Michael calls out wincing slightly.


 


                “I am not representing you in the divorce Michael!” 


 


                “No I mean, David stole from me and I need you to help me get the money back.”


 


She shakes her head and comes back and sits down with a sigh.


 


                “What are you talking about and who’s David?”  


 


                “Cameron, you remember him?”


 


                “Portland as in that guy?”


 


He nods and sighs 


 


                “Okay this is too public a forum is there somewhere we can go?”  Mel sighs again.


 


                “We should go to the Brownstone as its closer.”  He suggests and stands waiting.


 


“Are you fucking with me?!”  Zee snaps.


 


“No I am not fucking with you, it’s closer!”


 


        “You had better wind your neck in!”  She growls and starts to stand.


 


        “The store it is then!”  Emmett says trying to stop a bloodbath


 


                “You guys go, Emmy Lou see you for drinks later yes?”  Faal calls out.


 


I hug them both goodbye and wonder what the hell is wrong as they’re so angry, will find out from Emmett.


 


RED CAPE COMICS


 


MEL


 


I can’t believe how worn down this place looks, what the hell did he do with the money that they gave him.


 


                “Okay start from the top.” 


 


When he’s finished he is a mass of indignation.


 


                “Can I see the emails that you have?”


 


I look through them and shake my head.


 


                “Two words Michael.  You’re screwed.”


 


                “What why?  That’s my money and he stole it from me!”


 


                “No what it clear in these emails is that you have given him the money of your own free will to and I quote ‘invest as you see fit as long as it achieves the long term aim’, but you don’t specify what that long term aim is.  Effectively, you have given him carte blanche to take the money to do what he wants with it and if he was to invest it there would be no guarantee that you would see a return.  You’ve not even said you want your original investment back.”


 


                “But that’s obvious!”  He splutters.


 


                “Unless it’s written down obvious doesn’t count in a court of law.  How did he find out about the money in the first place?”


 


                “Because this idiot had to show off and tell him!”  Debs snarks.


 


                “Why, why would you do that?”  I am exasperated by his stupidity sometimes.


 


                “So there’s nothing I can do?” 


 


                “You can sue him privately but that could take years and would cost a lot of money.  It’s up to you.  Report it to the cops by all means but don’t hold out much hope for a public trial.”


 


He sits down heavily and I almost feel sorry for him but then I remember Jenny’s tear stained face and the bits that Gus told me he witnessed where he picked on Hunter.  We were never told about the row at Deb’s and how that was the final straw for Ben.  I make a mental note not to tell Lindz about Hunter having a key to the loft, as that would be another tail to add to the cat o’howevermany to beat Brian with. 


 


                “Ems what was wrong with Zee and Faal, I have never seen them look so fucked off.”  Debs questions.


 


Michael snorts and shakes his head.


 


                “Ah.  Michael ran his mouth again?”  Debs sighs.


 


Ems nods and rolls his eyes.


 


                “Faal was this close to giving him a beat down.”  He explains


 


                “Seems like violence runs in that family.”  Michael mutters.


 


                “No you were being insulting to Justin and then almost tried to be insulting to Zee and her husband jumped to her defence as a good husband should.”  Emmett corrects sharply.


 


                “Let me guess, Boy Wonder?”  Deb groans.


 


Emmett nods and I shake my head, why does he insist in saying that about Justin.


 


                “So what are you going to do Michael?”


 


                “I’m going to lodge a complaint and then sue him privately if needs be.”


 


                “But that will cost a fortune and you stand the chance of being counter-sued for slander or defamation if you accuse him of fraud.  And remember you’ve got the divorce to factor in.” 


 


I advise hoping that some of this is sinking in.


 


                “What about the divorce?  Ben’s the one divorcing me citing irreconcilable differences of all things.  He cheated on me with Steve.”


 


                “For fuck sake would you give that up already?  They were not together when you guys were married, although now that Jenny has given her approval, methinks she likes the idea of being a big sister…” 


 


Emmett teases earning a glare from Michael.


 


                “As I was saying.  You will still need to appoint a lawyer for that and there are the court fees to pay as well, divorce isn’t cheap Michael!”


 


                “Well Ben will have to pay the fees from the sale of the house to cover my share, now excuse me I have a complaint to file.”


 


He practically shoves us out of the store and locks up making his way determinedly to the police station as Debs makes her way back to the diner.


 


                “I was wrong he’s not screwed, he’s fucked!”


 


                “Oh honey you have no idea.”  Emmett mutters, then looks away guiltily.


 


                “Emmett, I think you and I need to talk.” 


 


I take his hand firmly in mine and lead him down the street.


 


BRITIN


 


BRIAN


 


                “One more, come on baby one more.”  I whisper into his ear.


 


                “I-I, oh God, please oh please oh!”


 


He’s digging his heels into the bed, grabbing at sheets and clawing at my back as I thrust frantically into him, his cock is bright red and we’re both slicked with sweat.


 


                “Aaaaaah!  Aaaaah!  Oh f-f-ffuck!”  He screams as his back bows and he explodes over my chest.


 


                “Yes!  Yes, baby oh, yes, unnh, unnh, uuuh!”  I grunt and collapse on top of him.


 


After five minutes I lift my head and push his sweaty hair out of his eyes.


 


                “How’s your head?” 


 


                “The one on my shoulders is fine, the other one needs a rest.  Can we stick to $30 million contracts please in future?”


 


                “Okay, I promise.”


 


Slowly I withdraw and flop onto my back he stays where he lies splayed out and thoroughly fucked.


 


                “We really need to have a shower or a bath.”  He mutters.


 


                “Uh huh.”


 


                “Oh and Alice wants to talk to us about Michael.”  He’s starting to go to sleep.


 


                “And there goes the joy.  Come on let’s go, can you walk or shall I just wrap you in the sheet and drag you into the shower.”


 


                “The last one.”  He mumbles


 


He curses up a storm when I do so and he is deluged with cold water. 


 


Half an hour and one steaming shower later, we head downstairs.   Lilah mewls with delight at seeing us, well let’s be honest me, and immediately climbs up my pant leg, I am thankful I am not wearing my new PJs.


 


                “Hey how is my beautiful…Alice what’s wrong?”  I ask.


 


Alice is in the kitchen pacing and looking nervous.


 


                “Have you spoken to Mr Novotny?  I am sure his version is events puts me in a much darker light but I was just so angered at his high handed attitude and Vince can vouch for me whatever he said I did.  And it was only one night that George and I stayed, Vince thought it would be best.”


 


                “Tell me what happened?” 


 


I sit her down gently; Lilah drops into her lap and peers up at her in cat-concern, I’ve never seen her so upset.


 


As she explains I can feel my rage boiling. 


 


                “Ted how long till that fucker is out of our lives!”  I growl into my phone.


 


                “As long as he suspects nothing then another week tops, why what’s happened?”


 


As I am explaining the door goes and there stands Emmett and Mel.


 


                “You need to get over here.”  I tell him.


 


TREEHOUSE


 


ZEE


 


                “Hey Hunter can we talk to you for a second.”


 


He looks worriedly between me and Faal. 


 


                “What have I done?”  He asks.


 


                “Nothing, I just want to ask you about the time when Ben was sick, what happened?”


 


Matt takes his hand, stroking over his knuckles.


 


                “He almost died when he contracted pneumonia.  Michael blamed me for that because we went ice skating every weekend, but it wasn’t that.”  He whispers and the tears flow.  “Brian was the only one that listened to me about the pills, I had them before and they made me worse, but Brian listened.  It might not look like he does but he does, he’s been there for me more than Michael.”


 


Faal had tears in his eyes.


 


                “We know and he loves you very much as we all do, some at first sight.  Now you boys go upstairs and do what you do best…by that I mean play video games, the loft or Brownstone is for everything else!”


 


                “Why did you ask?”  He wipes his eyes.


 


                “Someone mentioned that’s when Steve came into your lives and I was curious.”


 


He smiles and heads upstairs with Matt rubbing his back.


 


                “Hey you forgot something!”  I call out


 


Hunter comes back and I hand him lite beer and tell him to tell Matt the flatbreads will be 40 minutes.


 


                “Did you do the duck with the crisp onions?”


 


                “Yes Hunter and before you ask Faal the crispy chicken ones are in there too.”


 


                “Next time you do them let me know so I can see how to do it okay?  Actually, let’s make it no cook weekend for you this weekend, what do you say?”


 


I smile and nod.  Hunter engulfs me in a hug.


 


                “Thanks mom.”


 


He grabs the beer and bounds up the stairs and disappears from view.


 


When I feel Faal’s arms round me I break down.  Once I quiet down he kisses my neck, I try and squirm away from him but he tightens his grip.


 


                “Dit is wat dit voel soos wanneer Matt het my pa”1  He whispers


               


                “Jy het 'n buffel in jou keel en 'n kat spin op jou hart?”2


 


                “Ag Jenny is met jou praat oor die liefde weer?”3  He chuckles


 


                “Yep sy het 'n baie interessante siening oor dit”4


 


He pulls me into a deep kiss and when he finally lets me up for air, I gasp


 


                “Faal stop!   Can we please speak in English or the flatbreads are going to burn!”


 


BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE


 


BEN


 


As has become our ritual Steve and I are in the kitchen with the TV on the food channel this time arguing the finer points of wet vs dry rub. 


 


                “Look I have said this several times and since you’re a professor I can’t understand why this is so hard for you.  It is the bark that makes the BBQ and you can’t get a bark with a wet rub.”


 


                “Bullshit, you just have to apply it correctly!”


 


                “No it makes the meat too wet!”  He argues


 


                “Did you as a gay man complain about having wet meat?  But back on topic, if you allow it to dry out enough before you put it in the oven or the grill it’s perfect!”


 


He puts his hands on his hips and I burst out laughing.


 


                “What is so funny Bruckner, you want me to take you on a 10K run on Sunday morning!”


 


                “Sorry but it just reminded me of Tay-Taylor when she wa-wa-was on a time out, I see where she gets it from.”


 


                “Are you comparing me to a 2 year old girl in mid-tantrum?”


 


                “Yep, especially when you’ve lost the battle of the wet vs dry rub.”  I shrug.


 


                “I have not.  As I have said time and time again during this losing battle of yours, you need the dryness to permeate the meat as the fat does the rest.”


 


I shake my head and take the wine and glasses to the lounge.


 


                “Nope wrong.”  I reply.


 


                “What do you mean nope wrong?” 


 


                “The spices will burn.” 


 


                “Ben put the glass down and look at me.”


 


As I turn he smacks me full in the face with a cushion.


 


                “Now that I have knocked some sense into you.  The spices won’t burn as they will be rendered down with the fat and oof!”


 


I turn to the TV like nothing has happened but can’t help the grin tugging at my lips.  He picks up his tablet.


 


                “Let me see, Benjamin Bruckner.  Oh that’s interesting, suffers from excitation of the nerves particularly in the rib area.”


 


I look confused for a minute until he uses his full weight to pin me to the sofa and starts tickling.


 


                “No!  Stop!  Steve!  Don’t!  I can’t stand being…no!  No!”


 


                “Dry rub is better, say dry rub is better!” 


 


                “No, please just stop, Steve!  I can’t stand it but I won’t…no, not there!”


 


I am wriggling and giggling it’s the most fun I’ve had with my clothes on.


 


                “Okay uncle!  I’ll say it!  Just stop!”


 


                “Go on then.”  He prompts.


 


                “There I’ve said it.” 


 


He looks confused and sits on my waist and I am holding his wrists to stop the tickling.


 


                “You said say it you said nothing about out loud.”  I point out.


 


He goes to argue a point but I just raise my eyebrows and smirk at him, I let go of one wrist warily waiting for his next assault.


 


                “Um Steve you want to get off my stomach?”


 


He gets off and then I notice the reddening on his wrists.


 


                “Oh shit I am so sorry, let me get some arnica!”


 


I dash to the bathroom and grab the tube, I take his wrists and curse under my breath.


 


                “Ben stop it, I was tormenting you.”


 


I gently apply the gel to his wrists.


 


                “There that should help, do you have any at home, because you can have this.”


 


                “No I don’t so thank you, I’ll um…”


 


I place a gentle kiss on his wrist and his breathing hitches.


 


                “Enough for now?”  I ask


 


He kisses my temple and nods.


 


BRITIN


 


MEL


 


                “Right what you need to do is get everyone who knows about this shit here right now!  I need to make a call!”


 


                “Hey Lindz it’s me…”


 


An hour later, Carl, Ben, Zee and Faal arrive.  The last two are a surprise.


 


                “Uh how to you two factor in on this?” 


 


I sit there astonished as I get the full picture of all Michael has done over the years, what he said about Hunter was despicable.  My heart breaks for Jenny, but soars for Hunter that he finally has someone that loves him for him.


 


                “If only you guys had told me sooner for fuck sake!”  I glower at Brian and Ted.


 


                “What difference would it have made, Ben was making the payments.”  Justin asks


 


                “But the agreement states that HE made them, not Ben, he defaulted the moment he stopped paying.”


 


                “So we can end this now?  The Brian and Mikey show comes to an end now?”  Justin looks hopeful.


 


                “Well technically, yes, but we need to lock it down so he gets nothing.”


 


                “Oh found out the name of the stocks that he has?”  Zee pipes up.


 


                “What stocks?  He said that David didn’t invest in them just took the money and almost ran.”


 


                “TalonMotor Government Bonds, apparently Hank, son of Dr Dave, pointed him in that direction he has about a grands worth of stock.  But that was when they were first together and we think he was after the certificates or some authority from Michael to…”


 


                “That’s priceless!”  Ted exclaims


 


                “Let me guess TalonMotor is now worth millions!”  Faal sighs.


 


We all turn to look at Ted who is doubled over the computer laughing.


 


                “Ted!  Seriously Ted get a fucking grip what is it?”  Brian is shaking him.


 


                “No, it’s not that, not only does TalonMotor not exist as a bond but he and Hank didn’t bond as much as he thought!”


 


                “Teddy focus!”  Emmett snaps.


 


Immediately, Ted stops laughing and calms down.


 


                “Wow Emmy Lou you have got to teach me how to do that.”  Brian is in awe.


 


                “It’s all in the inflection.”  He shrugs.


 


                “TalonMotor.  It’s an anagram.”  Ted explains.  “And it sums him up perfectly.”


 


There is silence for a few minutes whilst we take this in.


 


                “You’re fucking kidding me!  He got his ass handed to him by a kid?”  Faal is chortling.


 


                “Can someone just tell me what it is?!”  Carl has lost all patience.


 


                “Total Moron.”  Ben has tears running down his face as he shakes with laughter.


 


 

End Notes:

1 - This is what it felt like when Matt called me dad

2 - You have a buffalo in your throat and a cat purring on your heart

3 - Oh Jenny is talking to you about love again

4 - Yep she has an interesting view on it

Chapter 17 by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

And here's where Mikey gets his!

CHAPTER 17 – …AND SOME COLD HARD PERSPECTIVE

RED CAPE COMICS – WEDNESDAY LATE MORNING


MICHAEL

I am tired but at least I am seeing my Honeybun next Saturday, although admittedly it is at Boy Wonder’s fucking post perspective dinner.

I must call her at some point, she should’ve calmed down by now, though I am still annoyed at the way she answered me back, I blame Hunter’s influence for that.

I am sorting under the counter when the door goes.

               “Hey Mikey.”

               “Brian, where the fucking hell have you been?!  Didn’t you get my messages?  Why didn’t you call me back?  You would not believe what has happened!”

He takes a deep breath and leans against the counter.

               “Colorado.  Yes.  I was in a meeting earning money a $60 million contract.  Try me.”

               “David fucking lying bastard Cameron stole my money!  And you have to help me get it back!”

               “How did he steal your money?  And how can I help you?”

I smile at him, I knew my best friend would come through for me as usual.

               “Because I dumped him, he won’t give me the money back that I lent him and I need to sue him privately.”

The door opens again and in comes Justin.  Great.

               “You ready?  Hello Michael.  What’s up with you two?”

He smiles down at him and then starts to pick paint out of his hair.

              “Can we…”
               “Michael dumped David and wants our help to get some money that he says he stole back…”

               “Brian!”

               “What he asked me a question and I am always unfailingly honest!  And speaking of honest rumour has it that Mel turned up and gave you a double slap in the middle of the diner, what was that about?”

I cross my arms and glare at the pair of them and try not to grimace as Justin’s hand slides under Brian’s top and he squeezes his side making him flinch and giggle.

               “Shall we get the gang to convene at Woody’s tonight to discuss?”  Brian asks

Reluctantly I nod and they start to leave.

               “Oh Brian, you need to check your voicemail for Kinnetic it says that the office is closed for a week.”

               “Nope don’t need to because it is.  Oh and one other thing, if you ever speak to Bethany like that again, I will put you on the “hang up” list.  See you tonight.”

I stare at the closing door in shock.


BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

MATT

Okay so that’s the fifth shirt he’s pulled out to wear and he doesn’t start until next week.

               “Hunter.  Hunter!  Would you stop panicking, until you need to panic, which will be on Sunday, you know the day before you start.”

He sits down and smiles sheepishly at me.

               “Sorry it’s just, I am so nervous what if I screw up, what if…”

I push him back on to the bed and kiss him deeply.  He wraps his legs round my waist and I start to rut against him gently and slowly.

               “You-you really need to stop that.”  He pants as I speed up slightly.

              “Seriously you want me to, oh God, stop doing this?  You need to, mmm, have more con-confidence in yourself.”

We lock gazes and he gives a lazy grin.

               “N-no and I know I should.  But, but these are my, there, like that, yes there, my fa-favourite jeans.”

               “I’ll buy you a new pair.”

I move faster.

               “Oh!  Ah!  Gonna cum!”  He cries out and then shudders and I swiftly follow.

               “Fuck!  Jesus!”  I whimper.

He strokes my back as I come down.

               “So the loft on Sunday night right?”

I just nod into his shoulder.


WOODY’S – EVENING

TED

Whatever you do, do not laugh when you see Michael, do not laugh when you see Michael.

               “And do not say that mantra out loud?”  Ben whispers.

               “For crying out…what are you trying to do kill me!”

He chuckles and settles down into the seat next to me with a bucket of beers and a food disc, Justin will be pleased.

               “So have you managed to separate all my assets now?”  Ben asks

I nod and smile.  Contain your twink indeed!

We are slowly joined by the rest of the gang except for Debbie and Carl who are on a date, Zee as she has a meeting and Drew as he just can’t stand Michael.  When Michael arrives he does not look happy to find that Justin is on one side of Brian and Faal is on the other.
               “Mikey, have a beer!”  Brian offers.

He grabs one and sits as close to Brian as he can.

               “So Michael you were saying earlier about David?”  Justin asks

               “I would…”

               “To catch everyone up to speed, David and Michael are over because Michael dumped him and now says that David owes him money.”

               “Justin for fuck sake!  Do I go around spreading shit and private stuff about you?”

               “Is that a trick question?”  Blake mumbles.

               “How does he owe you money?”  Faal asks.

               “Well according to Mel he doesn’t but I think he does so I am going to sue him privately.”

               “Well good luck with that.  But I am curious as to why you lent him money in the first place, what was the money for, it doesn’t seem like he needed it.”  Blake asks

               “To buy some stocks and shares.”  He replies

I took the wrong moment to look at Justin who has this smile on his face but is making little choking sounds.   Ben, Emmett, Faal and Brian are handling it much better, though from the tensing of Faal’s arm I suspect he’s digging into his palm.

               “Excuse me!  Need the bathroom!”

I practically gallop away from the table and minutes later I hear Justin calling my name.  I open the door and drag him into the stall and we both collapse in quiet giggles.

               “Ted.  Ted.  Come on keep it together!  Look at me Ted, come on please just hold it together it’s only one more week come on.  After the perspective we are free and clear.”  He whispers harshly.

I take a deep breath and nod.  He leaves first and I follow him out, when we get back to the table Michael’s not there.

               “Where’s Michael?”

               “Said he was getting more beers.  Ah there he is.”  Faal replies.

Michael is coming out of the bathroom with a very strange expression on his face.


MICHAEL

I can’t believe what I have just heard!  I knew, I just knew that Boy Wonder couldn’t be trusted.  Guess there’s no honour amongst twinks.  I know exactly what to do with this and when.


TORONTO – MEL & LINDZ HOUSE – FRIDAY

JENNY

               “I can’t wait to see everyone again next week it’s going to be so much fun and I’ve made Zee promise to show me how to make the cookies properly this time!”

Gus is shaking his head at me and smiling.

               “I’m glad to have you back J.  I hated you moping around.”

I nod and try not to be too upset that he’s not even called but I can’t help it, he’s my dad.  I head upstairs as it’s my turn to load the laundry and I can hear mom and momma arguing again.

               “You can’t be serious there is no way Michael would be this stupid?”  Momma says

               “Lindz I heard it with my own ears and saw the emails, he gave David the money over two years ago and now they aren’t together he wants it back.”

What why aren’t they together, is this my fault?

               “Where’d he get the money from though?”

               “Where’d you think?  From the bank of Kinney but this time it’s Kinney-Taylor.  He wanted money to do up his store but from what I have seen he’s not done that much with it, still looks as run down as it normally does, seriously can’t the man dust!”

Wait that’s not what dad said to me!  He said that he asked for the money for me and Hunter.

               “Well, I, I mean we need to discuss this with Brian…”

               “Oh no we don’t.  Once again this is nothing to do with us!  I only know because he asked my opinion from a legal standpoint.  When we get there next weekend, you are not I repeat not to bring this up.”

               “Fine!  But what’s this I hear about him and Hunter not getting on.”

               “Oh you knew usual teenage stuff.  We’ve got it to come in Gus and J, I mean Jenny soon.  Come to think of it though J does suit her better, I’m glad Hunter started that, actually I think it was Matt.”

               “I know that he and Ben are closer but still everyone has their spats…”

I hear the phone ring and Gus calls up for momma, I quickly hide behind the door and wait for her to go downstairs, I peek inside and mom is wiping her eyes.

               “How could you call your child a diseased bastard Michael, how could you?”

My heart hammers in my chest and I feel sick.

After doing my chores I head to my room and making sure the door is shut I call Matt.

               “Hey Matt, how-how are you doing?”

               “Good J real good.  You?  Did you call the wrong number by mistake?”  He chuckles.

               “No, I-I…”

               “J, what the fuck’s wrong what is it?”

               “Is it true what he said?”

               “Who what?”  Matt

               “My dad.  Did he really call Hunter a diseased bastard?”

Matt gasps in surprise and then is silent.

               “Matt?”

               “You can never tell him, you promise me that, never tell him, it would devastate him!”

               “He’s my brother Matt, I won’t keep secrets from him, but I can promise you that I won’t tell him unless he asks me.  Good enough?”

               “Good enough.  So how did you find out?”

               “I overheard mom talking.  I will never forgive him for this, he’s lied and lied again, oooh I just want to…I am so fucking pissed off!”

               “If it helps I punched him when he said it.”

               “Good!”

Oh shit I can hear more arguing downstairs.

               “Sorry Matt, gotta go they are at it again!”

               “Okay see you next weekend.  Bye J”

               “Bye.”

I head downstairs and sit next to Gus and watch the show.

               “What else is he going to give him Mel?”

               “He’s not given him anything he has access to it completely different!”

               “What’s it about this time?”  I ask Gus

               “Dad called to say that Hunter would let them into the loft, she asked how, he said key and here we are!”

               “Momma what’s the big deal about this, it’s not as if you are going to be in there every day?”  I ask.

               “Jenny…”  She starts and then stops as if gathering her thoughts.

               “Besides you’d hate to walk in on Matt and Hunter going at it wouldn’t you?”  I point out.

               “Matt and Hunter going…”  She looks shocked

               “Well where else do you think they do it, Aunt Zee and Uncle Faal are liberal minded but they don’t let them fu…have sex in the Treehouse.  So it’s the loft or the Brownstone, they prefer the loft because it’s more of dude home than the Brownstone, after all it belongs to the Stud of Liberty Avenue, retired, it must get their creative juices flowing.”

Momma is standing there with a shocked expression on her face.

               “I’m going to sort out lunch.”  She mumbles.

               “Okay Lindz you go right ahead and do that.”

I’m not sure what I did to deserve that wink from mom but there you go.


PORTLAND – DAVID’S HOUSE

CHARLES

               “Will you stop pacing about you are making me dizzy!”

               “What if he’s changed his mind?”  He asks me panicked.

               “If he’s changed his mind he would email you to say so…ah there’s the bell”

He freezes in mid-pace.

               “This is where you answer it.”

He clears his throat and goes to open the door.  He is followed in by Hank who is the spitting image of him.

               “Hank this is Charles, Charles this is Hank.”

There is an awkward silence before I suggest coffee and we all sit down.  I give David a meaningful look.

               “Hank there is something else I need to tell you.  Charles is aware, but I want you to know my reasons for doing so.”

He nods and looks wary.

               “When you bumped into Michael at the ComicCon and gave me his details I thought nothing of it but then when it all went to hell I gave him a call, I just wanted a friendly voice and nothing more.  But then he started telling me how great his store was and his life I was annoyed.  He said he had come into some money and wanted to provide a future for him and his daughter after his husband dies…”

               “Ouch callous much.”  I mutter

               “Yeah I know, Ben’s a nice guy, how he landed him I will never know.  Anyway, he sent me $50K and instead of investing it I used it to pay some of the fees and keep myself afloat for a couple of years.  Then when I got the papers about Sarah, I couldn’t believe it.  Then I remembered that bond that you and Michael jointly invested in it, but I couldn’t find the certificates or anything so I assumed that Michael had them and went to Pittsburgh to get them so Charles could liquidate the stock and you could at least have your college fund back.  All I…”

               “Wait are you saying that you went to Pittsburgh to hook up with him for me?  What about the $50K can’t he ask for that back?”

He asks looking worried when David nods.

               “Not unless he goes through a private lawsuit.  And then he would most likely lose.”  I reassure him.

               “But I couldn’t I just couldn’t stand to be with him a minute longer when he treated his daughter the way he did and various other reasons, so I couldn’t get the certificates back but maybe you can ask for copies, though you would have to give him his half of it…”

               “I can’t.”

Hank is looking distinctly nervous.

               “Why not, they may have been discontinued but you can at least get your initial investment back?”

               “There wasn’t a government bond call TalonMotor, I made it up.”

David and I exchange incredulous looks.

               “I didn’t like him.  I never liked him and the way he whined and moaned about everything was so annoying.  Then one day I heard him on the phone to someone asking him to send him some money because he hadn’t got a job yet and when he said I love you always have and always will I got mad and the rest you know.”

               “So what did you do with the money?”  David is starting to smile.

               “Nothing, I felt so guilty afterwards I didn’t touch it, as far as I know it’s still there.”

               “Why TalonMotor though – where’d you pull that name from?”  I ask.

               “It’s an anagram of Total Moron.”

David just shakes his head and looks at me.

               “Okay right, what we have to do is find and close that account and give him his share back.  Right Charles.”

I am nodding because I can’t speak as I am laughing too hard.

               “Charles you are not helping!  Be serious!  Come on it’s not…it’s”

They exchange looks and soon join in.


TREEHOUSE

FAAL

               “Okay what is it, you have been bubbling like a brook all day?”

               “Want to know how it went with David and his son but don’t have an in…”

               “Of course, I had forgotten that, but you do have an in…see if he’s still coming to the perspective.”

She kisses me soundly and picks up her phone.

               “Hey David, its Zee.  I’m fine it’s all good here.  I was just wondering if you were still attending the perspective next week.  You are that’s great.  Okay and I did have another…you did?  How’d it go?  Oh that’s great that’s wonderful I am so pleased, he is oh okay look forward to meeting him then.”

She curls back into my side and smiles.

               “It went so well that he’s bringing him and his beau to the perspective.  After Michael’s behaviour I am almost tempted to invite them to dinner.”

               “Give into temptation my lig…give in!”


BRITIN – EARLY SATURDAY EVENING

JUSTIN

I have finished off the last of my painting for the day.  Heading downstairs I find Brian and Lilah relaxing on the sofa, I curl up next to him.

               “You smell nice.  Is that the oil that Zee gave us?”

               “Yeah, there was a shower gel and bath oil in there too.”

               “You had a soak and didn’t call me, I could’ve scrubbed your back.”

I giggle and kiss his chin.  Alice knocks on the door.

               “Well if you don’t need me for anything else, I will head back to the cottage for the evening.  There’s stuff in the freezer that you can defrost in the morning, think there’s still some oxtail stew if you want me to take that out now…”

She trails off and sighs.

               “What’s the matter Alice?  You’re not still upset about what that dickhead said to you, by the end of next weekend you won’t have to deal with him anymore.”

I reassure her but she still looks wistful

               “No it’s not that.  It’s silly but…it’s just tomorrow isn’t…”

               “It’s not going to be the same is it?”  Brian asks quietly.

               “No it’s not.”

               “Fuck it.  Hang on.”

He picks up his phone and smiles.

               “How about I send a text: Britin from one bring PJs and a dish and see what happens.”

She nods and he waves her into a seat and hands her a brandy, we wait patiently and within 30 seconds his phone rings.

               “Oh thank fuck for that!  Tell everyone that I’m catering the entire thing this time!”  Emmett trills.

               “Will do Emmy Lou.  See you tomorrow.”

               “Thank you.”

Smiling she finishes off her brandy and kisses him on the top of his head.


SUNDAY – MIDDAY

BRITIN

EMMETT

               “How’d you persuade him Baby, which particular twink power did you use this time?”

               “I didn’t.  It was Alice who asked.”

               “Well I don’t care who asked, Sunday’s aren’t the same without the family bundling round and the once a month overnight at the Treehouse is it?”

               “No, it isn’t.”

I hear my favourite commis coming in, Debs and Alice are laughing about something or other.

               “Debs you’re on veggies and Alice…”

               “I’m on bubbles I know.  Glasses are already chilling.”


ZEE

               “I’ll get it!”  I shout and open the door to Michael.

I don’t say a word and just let him in.

               “Nice to see you too.”  He snarks

               “Keep racking them up please just keep racking them up.”  I snap back

He brushes past me and heads to the lounge.

               “Here come occupy your hands by wrapping them round your son.”

I am startled out of my mendacious thoughts by the arrival of Matt and Hunter and hug them both.  I decide that the kitchen is a much better place for me to be.

               “He’s arrived then?”  Alice asked

I nod and swig back my champagne.

               “Anything I can do?”

Emmett shakes his head after a bit of thought and I head reluctantly back to the lounge.  Settling down next to Faal I put my feet in his lap and he starts to massage my feet, I sigh happily and go back to my mendacious thoughts of Michael Novotny.  I was dragged back to reality by him asking Justin about his perspective.

               “So what happens after the perspective what are you going to do?”

               “What do you mean what am I going to do?  Paint some more until I get another show.  And help Brian at Kinnetic when he needs me to.  Why do you ask?”

               “No reason just curious.  So Ted anything planned for you?”

Ted, and everyone else, looks confused by the question.

               “Same thing I do every working day, be Brian’s right hand man at Kinnetic and keep the company afloat.  Not that we need to do much with the Grunberg account in the bag, I still can’t believe it.”

               “Me neither but I couldn’t have done it without you Ted, the negotiations you put in and the way you handled their questions, superb, that bonus is well deserved.”

               “To Ted for his negotiating skills and honesty! And to Justin, good luck next week!”

Michael raises his glass and we do the same.

               “Okay what the fuck?”  Faal mouths.

               “No idea.”  I mouth back.


MICHAEL

I can see I have them rattled.  The door goes and in comes Ben swiftly followed by Taylor and Steve.  She stands in front of me and stares.

               “What is it Taylor?”

               “You’re sitting in our seat.”

               “Your seat.  I…”

               “Uncle Ben and I always sit here.”

She puts her hands on her hips and keeps staring.  Ben starts to laugh.

               “See what I mean?”  He says to Steve.

               “Just shut up.  Michael would you mind moving please?”

               “Actually…”

Taylor folds her arms and stamps her foot.

               “It is our seat!”  She exclaims.

               “Michael come on give Taylor the seat, she’s right she and Ben always sit there.”  Carl chimes in.

I get up and move along.

               “No!  That’s where daddy sits!”  She cries out.

               “There’s nowhere else for me to sit Taylor.”

She looks round the room and after pulling Ben and Steve into their seats, she gets a cushion and puts it by Carl’s feet.

               “You can sit there!”  She declares and settles into Ben’s lap.

               “No it’s okay I’ll just grab a chair from the dining room thanks.”

As I leave the room I hear Taylor say something and then laugher

               “What was so funny just now?” I ask when I come back in

               “Nothing much, just something Taylor said.”  Carl smirks.

               “Oh come on share, we’re family and we like to share right Ted, right Justin?”

               “She said you have a sulky face.”  Steve replies.

I roll my eyes him and switch my attention to Ben, he is stroking Taylor’s hair as she starts to drift off.

               “So Ben when are you selling the house?”

               “Michael this is not the time or the place, we are trying to have our usual nice Sunday lunch without any drama.”

               “Fine!  But we will talk about this Ben and soon.  I need to engage a lawyer.”


HUNTER

I am this close to smacking him in the mouth, seriously this man is so fucked up it’s not even funny.  What’s he doing here anyway, nobody wants him here and what’s with the comments to Ted and Justin?

               “Hunter, hey Hunter come back to earth?”

               “Huh sorry, what did you say Ted?”

               “I asked if you wanted to resume putting into your college fund now that you’re back in work before you go to college.”

               “Yeah, that’s what I meant to talk to you about, thanks for reminding me.  Can we talk about this in the week?”

               “What do you mean back in work when did you quit working?”  Michael asks.

There is an astonished silence.

   “Oh that would be when dad got sick and I wanted to visit him every day and then I got sick and had to recuperate.  Larry held it open for as long as he could.”  I bite back.

               “So how has been contributing Ben?”

               “What are you talking about now?”  Dad is really sounding fucked off.

               “How did Hunter contribute more than me when he wasn’t working?”

               “I meant when he was working and he’s volunteered at the university until he got this job.”

               “Oh I see, where are you working then Hunter?”

               “None of your business.”  I retort.

               “Listen to me I am your father and you won’t…”

               “No you stopped being that a long time ago!”  I shout and storm out followed by Matt.


BRIAN

               “Wow Michael just wow.  You can’t seem to help yourself when it comes to him, you have to keep putting your foot in it.”

Matt comes back down and glowers at Michael, he whispers something to Faal and he follows him out.

               “What did I say?  He was being disrespectful to me.  I have earned that right to respect.”

               “No you have earned the right to manners, which he gave you just about, respect is earned and you have lost that in him and have done fuck all to get it back.”  Steve snaps.  “Now I am going to take Taylor up for her nap before dinner.”

               “You can put her in Jenny’s room okay?”

I tell him and watch the anger flit across Michael’s face but before he can say anything else, Faal comes back in and speaks to Ben who goes upstairs.

               “Happy Michael, he’s refusing to come down now.  Well done.”  Faal snaps as he heads back up.

               “If Ben can’t persuade him to come down you will leave.”  Justin tells him.

After another 10 minutes, we hear footsteps and Steve comes in.

               “They’re still talking.”  He tells us.

There is a heavy atmosphere and after another 5 minutes the door opens and its Ben and Matt; they are followed by Emmett, Alice and Debs.

               “Where’s Hunter, what’s happened?”  Emmett asks looking round.

Nobody says anything, I watch him exchange looks with Drew who cocks an eyebrow at him.

               “What the fuck did you say this time Michael?  Where is he?” Emmy Lou demands.

               “Upstairs with Faal.”  Justin murmurs.

               “Be right back.”

Debs remarks and is out the door before Emmett can say anything and two minutes later all three of them are back.  I feel Justin sag against me in disappointment.

               “Sometimes all it needs is a grandmother’s touch.  Now we are going to have a nice family dinner then Hunter and Matt are going to the loft for some quality time before his first day of work.  And you Michael are going to keep your mouth shut unless it is to put food it, one just one word from you and I will throw you out myself capice!”

I smirk as Michael really struggles to not speak and eventually nods.

               “Right more bubbles I think yes!”  Imitating Faal lightens the gloom.

The rest of the dinner is a lively affair, apart from Michael glowering and steaming in his seat, twice Ted and I had to stop our favourite blonds from making remarks about things that Michael holds dear, which would normally have Michael tearing into them, but one look from ma was all it took to keep him quiet.  But at least it put a smile on Hunter’s face.


RED CAPE COMICS – THURSDAY MORNING

MICHAEL

               “Hey Lindz, how are you, where are you at the loft.  Oh where are you going?  Well good luck with that I have been trying to get in to see him all week.  They had a week off last week and apparently they are playing catch up.”

I am glad Lindz is here at least she supports me.

I am still waiting to hear from the restorer’s they said another 3 maybe 4 weeks to get it perfect, it will cost me another couple of grand but so be it.  I am going to get a coffee, ma should be in the mood to apologise for embarrassing me like that by now.


KINNETIK

BRIAN

               “Mr, I mean Brian, there’s a Lindsay Peterson-Marcus to see you.”

I pinch my nose, she couldn’t wait until after lunch.

               “Give me five minutes.”

I call Ted into the office, at least that way he can sort of stop me from killing her.  I get Bethany to send her in.

               “Brian, oh hello Ted.”  She stops short.

               “Lindz how are you?  All settled in?”  I ask nonchalantly.

She sits down and curls her hair behind her ear.

               “Yes fine, we’re all settled in.  I wanted to talk to you in private about some things I have been hearing that cause me concern?”

               “You mean about Justin and me giving Hunter money?”  I ask.

               “Well yes there’s that and…”

               “There’s more?  What is there else that has nothing to do with you could you want to talk about?”

               “Brian there is no need to adopt that tone with me.  I am merely looking out for Gus’s future.”

               “His future is more than secure Lindz, Ted and I have made sure of that…”

              “I don’t doubt that but I just feel that Gus’s feelings have not been taken into consideration here.”

              “Lindsey!  Leave this alone.  It has nothing to do with you.  Now if you will excuse me I have to keep Justin in the manner to which he has become accustomed.  I will see you at the perspective this evening okay?”

I go back to my work and Ted holds the door open for her, she begrudgingly takes the hint and leaves.


DINER

MICHAEL

None of the gang are here, and since Sunday I have kept my distance from them.  I know I am going to be unpopular once I let everyone know what’s happening but it has to be done, I can’t let them do that to Brian, I don’t give a fuck about Blake.

               “Michael what are you doing here, shouldn’t you be at the store?”

               “No ma, the store is running just fine.”

She snaps her gum at me and looks sceptical.  Just as I was about to say something David walks in with some guy, they are holding hands.

               “Ma don’t move!”  I hiss at her.

               “Why?”  She whispers.

               “David’s here with no doubt his next victim!”

Ma slowly turns round and looks, David waves at her and she waves back.   I take that moment to slip into the corridor and down into the office.


DEBS

My son certainly takes after his father in the dramatic department.  When I turn round he’s gone so I head towards David’s table.

               “Hi David, what’ll be and who is this distinguished looking gentleman?”

               “Hi Debs, a mint tea for me and Charles the same, two mint teas and this is Charles, this is Debs.”

I shake his hand.

               “What are you doing back here again?”

               “We’re here for Justin’s perspective this evening.  I take it you’ll be there.  Look I don’t want there to be any awkwardness between us and the family this evening or on Saturday, but I couldn’t keep seeing Michael after the way he treated Jenny and other things he said.”

               “You stopped seeing Michael?  But he said…wait Saturday what about Saturday?”

               “Zee and Faal invited us to dinner.”

               “Oh, I had no idea you had gotten close.”

               “They gave me some good advice with regards to my son and since he’s here they wanted to meet him.  The dinner will be less formal I suppose and since Jenny and Gus will be there at least he’ll have someone to talk to.”

I nod and smile.

               “I’ll get your teas.  Won’t be long.”

As I head back to the kitchen Michael is frantically gesturing at me.

               “What are you doing Michael?”

               “What am I doing, what are you doing letting him in here and acting all cosy!”

               “I am serving a customer his teas, which reminds me.”

I head back to them and apologise for the wait before heading back to my idiotic son.

               “Look Michael, are you going to the perspective tonight because David is going to be there and he’s also going to be at the dinner on Saturday but he’s bringing his son!”

               “Who invited him to that?!”  He hisses

               “The dinner Zee and Faal I suppose.  Anyway, are you going to be at them?”

               “Tonight no, but definitely dinner on Saturday, I wouldn’t miss that for the world.”

He is smirking again, that same smirk he had when he was toasting Ted and Justin, what fresh fucking hell is he up to this time.

The diner is busier than usual and I am rushed off my feet, luckily Kiki is on time and I can go home and rest up.  When I get there, not only is Brian, Faal, Emmett and Ben there with Carl but also Mel and Ted, they all stop talking and look at me.

               “What are you lot doing here, I thought you had a lot of catching up to do at Kinnetic?”

               “We do but we’re on a break and…”  Emmett babbles.

               “Stop it, stop the bullshit!  You all are going to sit down and tell me exactly what the fuck is going on.  You’ve not mentioned the list to Michael nor what he did to Alice and Faal when are you so cosy with my son’s ex.  Nobody but nobody is leaving until you tell me, I don’t care what it is just tell me!”

They all exchange looks.

               “Red sit down.  You’re not going to like it.”

An hour later I am still sitting down in staring at them.  Brian is biting his lip and looking very worried.

               “You said I would always have you no matter what…”

               “And you do and you will.  Now come on we have a Sunshine to support!  Oh one more thing you know that creepy smile he had on his face during the toast he made on Sunday well he had it again today when I mentioned that David was going to be at the dinner.”

               “Thanks for the heads up at least we’re prepared for whatever…”  Brian lets out a breath.  “And speaking of heads ups, Lindz came to see me today bleating about Gus and how we are…”

               “Are you kidding me?”  Mel explodes.  “She just can’t leave stuff that doesn’t fucking concern her alone!  Maybe it’s time…”

She takes a breath and sighs and smiles tiredly.


PERSPECTIVE

JUSTIN

I don’t know why I get so nervous at these things, it’s not as if I haven’t done them before.  Oh crap here’s another critic, time to put smile on face.

The family are here milling about, I am not sure what Lindz was expecting in Zee and Faal but the way she is batting her eyes at Faal is a little nauseating to watch and Mel is rolling her eyes, Faal is just ignoring her and whispering in Zee’s ear making her squirm..

Thankfully there’s no Michael but he’s going to be at the dinner.  With Debs fully behind what we are going to do it should be an interesting evening.  Ah thank goodness it’s almost at an end time for my speech.

               “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for coming and supporting me.  I will make this quick as I am not one for flowery speeches.  But I want give special thanks to some people who have encouraged me in my art.  My mom Jennifer, my other mom Debs who sat me down and talked me out of quitting all those years ago by digging it out of the garbage and of course Brian, my muse, my confidant and my forever.”

There is applause and I look across and see a very strange expression on Lindz’s face but go find Brian who seems to have disappeared…typical.


LINDZ

I am speechless!

               “Did you hear that?”  I ask Mel

               “What?”

               “Exactly I wasn’t mentioned once!  If it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t have gone to New York!”

               “And if it wasn’t for you, Brian wouldn’t have been miserable for 3 years either!”

Mel snaps and walks away.


JUSTIN

Finally the last of the press has gone and it is just some patrons and the family here.  I find mom and Debs talking amongst themselves so head towards them.

               “Have you seen Brian?”

               “He’s ah there he is.”  Mom says.

               “Did I miss it?  Did I miss your speech?”

I slap him in the chest.

               “Yes you did, but it’s okay I didn’t blow too much smoke up your ass, I just called you my muse, my confidant and my forever.”

He smiles and kisses my temple, his lips linger on my scar he’s looking at me strangely.

               “Hey you okay?  What’s that look for?”

               “Hmm, what look?  The “I am so proud of you look” or the “I love you so much will you marry me look” or the “you’ve beaten them again look” or the…”

I let out a little squeak and look at him, mom and Deb are stunned.

               “C-can you say that again?”  I stammer

               “I am so proud of you?”

               “No.”

               “You’ve beaten them?”

               “Brian, d-don’t.”  I start to hiccup.

               “Oh.  I love you so much will you marry me?  That one?”

I nod and he wipes my tears away.

               “With of course the permission of Mother Taylor?  And contingent on ma giving me away?  Will you marry me?”

               “Mom?”  I ask tremulously.

               “Yes, of course you have my permission!”  She hiccups

               “Ma?”

               “As if you have to ask!”  She sniffles.

               “Then yes I will marry you.”

               “Thank God!”  He sighs and kisses me.

               “If they had said no we would’ve eloped anyway!”  I tell him kissing him back.


FAAL

               “Well my darling we are going to have to get you a nice dress.”

Zee who was talking to Carl turns to me in confusion.

               “What on earth for?”

I pull her into my chest and point at Brian and Justin.

               “Fuck, you are kidding me and I missed it!”  She mutters.

Brian looks up and comes towards us with Justin grinning like a fool.

               “Keep forgetting the lip reading thing.  Can you keep it quiet until the dinner want to announce it formally then if you don’t mind still hosting?”

               “It will be our pleasure, though Justin might need to practice his poker face.”  Zee points out.

He pokes his tongue out at her and snuggles into Brian’s side.


SATURDAY EVENING

TREEHOUSE

FAAL

               “Right is everything set, everyone on their way?”

Brian looks a little subdued; Debs takes his face in her hand and turns him to look her,

               “You still have me, you still have us, you still have family, it’s time, honey it’s time.”

He nods and surrenders to the hug and then grabs Justin and they disappear upstairs.  I grin at Debs.

               “Well whatever it takes!”  She cackles

The door goes and more people pile in.  Emmy Lou immediately heads to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of champagne, he waves the bottle round and hands go up.

               “Back kitchen?”  He asks.

               “Yep, bring pink out as well.”

He brings out bottles and glasses and most follow him to the lounge.

               “Well Emmett seems to have made himself very comfortable in your home Faal.”  Lindz simpers

               “Emmy Lou is always welcome here.”

Zee smiles as I deliberately and slowly removes her hand from my arm, Lindz does not look happy.

The kids have all been introduced and they seem to be getting on fine, bonding over making cookies for dessert.  Jenny finally go the entire recipe out of Zee after badgering for a good 30 minutes at top volume!

Again the door goes and Michael comes in and again with that creepy smile.

               “Hi Honeybun, how’s my favourite girl been?”  He says trying to hug her.

               “I don’t know why don’t you find her and ask her!”  She snaps and moves away.

Okay this is unexpected.  Mel and Lindz exchange looks.

               “Jenny what’s wrong?”  He asks.

               “I know what you said and that you lied and lied and I will never ever forgive you!  Leave me alone!”

               “What are you talking about Jenny, I don’t like this tone you have been taking with me recently, seems you’ve been spending too much time with Hunter well…”

               “Don’t you fucking dare, you don’t have the right to speak his name!  He’s worth a million of you!  Do you have any idea how much I want to fucking hit you?  You don’t want Hunter to be in my life well tough shit you don’t get a say as I don’t want you in mine ever again!”  Her voice is rising.

               “Jenny, sweetheart just calm down.  Michael be elsewhere you are clearly upsetting her!”
Debs gets between her and Michael and he eventually moves away.

               “Now honey what the hell was that about?”  Mel demands.

               “Like I said I don’t want him as a father I just want you, momma and papa to be my parents!”

               “Now just a minute…!”  Michael shouts.  “I haven’t done anything to Hunter!”

               “So Matt punched you for nothing did he?!”

Oh shit how did she find out?

               “J do you know what he said?”

We all whirl round to see Hunter in the doorway followed by Ben and Matt.

               “Yes and it’s really bad.”

               “Hunter, don’t ask her to tell you because she will.  If you love me please don’t ask her.”

Matt begs with tears in his eyes.

               “Hunter, please just let it go, you have us, please.”   Ben is looking into his eyes pleading.

               “Okay.  But only because I can imagine what you said and I love her too much to make her repeat it.”

I let out the breath I was holding.

               “Okay don’t know about anyone else but I really need a drink!”

I drag Hunter, Matt and Ben along with me and Zee must have seen the look on my face as she is immediately at my side.

               “What happened?”

               “Jenny just disowned Michael.”

               “Fuck!”  She breathes.

               “I need another one of these and with brandy!”

As I head back to the kitchen I pass a steaming Michael and sympathetic Lindz and find Mel and Debs trying to console Jenny whilst Gus and Hank look helplessly on.

               “Why don’t you boys go join Hunter and Matt, think they are setting up video games?”

They make a swift and grateful departure.

               “Who are you and what the fuck are you talking about you imbecilic little man?!”

               “Oh Christ what the fuck has he done now?!”  Debs wails

We dash to the lounge where we find Michael standing toe to toe with David’s guest.

               “I’m just warning you to be careful of your money with him.  Don’t lend him anything.  Oh and David I give you fair warning, I am going to sue you for my money back.”

               “Is this him?  This is what you dated before me?  Glad to see your taste has improved.  Now, Michael isn’t it, I am a lawyer and have looked over the emails that you sent to David and you can try and sue but believe me you won’t win…now I would caution you against another word, I dislike it when people accuse my partner of things he has not done, it makes me very litigious.”

               “Are you threatening me because…”

               “Oh shut up and go and get a drink Michael, you’re pathetic!”  David snaps and turns away.

He stomps to the cart and pours himself a large drink, he’s scanning the room and when he settles on Ted he gets that look again.  Lindz joins him and they twitter like angry vultures amongst themselves.

A giggle heralds the return of Brian and Justin who definitely look well fucked.

               “Feeling better?”  Debs chortles

               “Much.  Is he here?”  Brian asks.

               “Yep and you’ve already missed two dust ups.  Jenny disowned him – somehow she found out what he said about Hunter and David’s friend gave him the lawyer speech and David called him pathetic.  And he’s still got that look on his face whenever he looks at Ted and Justin, so creepily smug.”

I tap the glasses and nod my head up, Debs calls the kids back down.

               “Ladies and gentlemen get your glasses filled and quickly now that they are finally here!”

Justin blushes and accepts the glass of champagne from Emmy Lou as does Brian, he also gives glasses to the kids.

“Right, a toast to the man of the hour Justin Taylor and his muse, confidante and forever Brian!”

               “To Brian and Justin!”  We all cry.

Justin holds up his hand and dials a number and puts it on speaker and then puts it on hold.

               “Now, I would like Gus, Ted, Hunter and Faal to step forward please?  Brian demands.

We look at each other in confusion.  Brian bites his lip nervously and his eyes start to glisten.  Oh he’s not!

               “It would be my great honour if you would accept my invitation to be part of my wedding as ring bearer, best man and ushers.”

               “Please can Jenny, Emmy Lou and Zee step forward and Daphne can you hear me?”  Justin calls out

               “Yes!”

I look across at Zee and she’s in shock.

               “It would be my great honour if you would accept my invitation to be part of my wedding as ring bearer and ushers and best woman.

The room is completely silent.

               “This is where you answer?”  Brian prompts.

The first thing we hear is a scream from the phone.

               “That’s a yes from Daphne I take it?”  Jennifer asks.

               “Answer dammit!  We don’t want them eloping for crying out loud!”  Debs is crying and yelling.

               “Bri, I don’t know what, uh yes it would be an honour yes!”  Ted stammers.

Gus, Jenny and Hunter are jumping up and down hugging each other, Emmy Lou is crying and nodding.

               “Well guys this is the first time I have seen my wife rendered speechless, but trust me it’s a yes from both of us!”

               “No way, no fucking way is this going to fucking happen!”  Michael bellows.

               “Kids go upstairs, go!  Hunter, Matt you too!”  Faal orders.  “David and Charles would you mind?”

They shake their heads and swiftly depart and close the door behind them.

               “Brian you cannot be serious about marrying this cheating whore and having his lover as your best man!”

               “What?!”  Ted shouts.  “Justin and I aren’t lovers!”

               “Don’t lie to us, how could you do that to him, how long has it been going on?”  Michael sneers.

               “Michael have you lost your fucking mind?!” Jennifer shouts.

               “No I heard them, listen Brian, I heard them plotting to leave after the perspective!”

Justin and Ted exchange looks.

               “Oh don’t play the ingénue with me Boy Wonder!  You and Ted were in the bathroom in Woody’s in a stall and laughing about how you had to keep together until after the perspective and then it would be over!  Do you deny that?”

               “No we don’t deny that.”

               “Justin…”  Jennifer begins.

               “But we weren’t talking about Brian or Blake we were talking about you.”  Ted answers

               “Me?  What about me?”

               “How after the perspective you will no longer be part of our lives.”  Justin replies.

               “What are you talking about I will always be part of Brian’s life he’s my…”

               “No you won’t and no I’m not.  I haven’t been your best friend since I realised I love Justin and you haven’t been mine since you realised that too.  You’ve used and abused our friendship, abused my trust, disrespected my partner and soon to be husband, you even wished him dead, yeah they all know that now, meted out unnecessary hurt on Hunter especially planning your lives without him, didn’t care when ma fainted, assaulted Alice so now we’re done.  I am done with you.”

He swallows down the rest of his drink and pours another one, then nods at Mel.

               “Michael how much of the money that Brian and Justin lent to you do you have left?”

               “That’s none of your business Mel!”  Lindz objects.

               “And this conversation is none of yours so shut up!”  Mel barks.

               “Why do you need to know that?”

               “Because now that the store and its contents has been forfeited you need to live of that.  In answer to your next question, they became the property of Brian and Justin the moment the payments stopped…”

               “The payments weren’t stopped Ben was paying them…”

               “But the agreement between clearly states that the payment had to come from you or you would have to forfeit the store and contents or repay the full amount you borrowed back.  And since you tricked Ben into making the payments instead of you when he found out he stopped paying.  He also stopped paying his part of the mortgage, but I am sure the new store owners will let him off that.  Oh tricking someone into paying someone into paying for something is technically called fraud, just a heads up.  As for the food bill, you will need to repay the money for the things you ordered, which comes to almost $5,000 – you have expensive tastes.”

               “You can’t be serious, you can’t do this to me Brian!”

               “I’m not finished Michael.  You have hurt each and every person in this room with your jealousy, selfishness and spite.  And I will never forgive you for what you did to Jenny, and if she is serious about wanting you out of her life, I will take steps to make sure that happens.  Ted.”

               “Michael, I have already ripped you a new asshole so that doesn’t need to happen again but I have taken measures to ensure that you can’t touch Ben financially, if you so much as try I have tied it up in enough red tape that it will take years to untangle and at the end of it Ben will still be fine.  Ben.”

    “Michael.  Grow up and hope that Jenny forgives you.  Ems.”

               “You used and abused my trust and my friendship like you’ve done to everyone else especially Brian because of some stupid notion that he owes you.  Nobody owes you a friendship!  And the hurt you caused to Baby was relentless.  You show no remorse for the things you do and you hurt my littlest and I will never forgive you for all you have done.  Debs.”

               “Michael you’re my son and for that reason alone I love you, but I can’t forgive what you have done to the boys, Hunter and Jenny and I especially can’t forgive the disrespect you have continued to show Carl.  Don’t even think of coming home as you have no home to come to.  Sunshine.”

               “Michael, I hate you, I hate what you did to Brian with every fibre in my being.  I cannot wait to see the back of you.  Come near Brian or I again and I will break you in half.”

               “Guys you can’t seriously be treating Michael like this.  He’s Jenny’s father!  Brian I won’t allow you to do this!”  Lindz yells.

               “Allow? You won’t allow?  Who says you get a choice in the matter?”  Jennifer snaps.  “I would caution you against answering, I am a much better WASP than you!”

Michael is standing in silence, just staring at the ground in shock.

               “But, you can’t do this Brian, you can’t!”

               “Can and have!  And don’t think of going back to the store the locks have been changed.  Your personal belongings have been removed and are waiting for you in the service car at the end of the road….can you understand the irony there Mikey?”

               “But all of my collectibles, they are mine you can’t take them away from me!”  He starts to cry.

Brian looks at him unmoved.

               “Not going to work Michael, you’ve used them too many times.  Now what part of forfeited didn’t you understand?”

               “You really are a cold hearted bastard!  Jack should’ve done a better job of beating…”

The slap echoes round the room like a gunshot and he falls to the floor.  Alice is standing over him eyes blazing and ready to hit him again.

    “Alice stop!  He’s not worth it!”  Brian calls out his voice surprisingly strong.

    “Brian I didn’t…”  Michael whimpers from the floor.

    “Yes you did Michael, yes you did and you always do.”  Justin growls.

I look at Zee and she nods, I have more restraint than she does and besides blood is a bitch to get out of sheepskin.  I pick Michael up and drag him out to the front door.

               “Now it is with great pleasure that I tell you to get the fuck out of our house!  Vince get rid of this please?”

Vince nods and drags Michael away with him calling Brian’s name.

I head back to the lounge and find everyone surprisingly relaxed, all accept Lindz who is looking shell-shocked.

               “Emmy Lou more bubbles I think.  Yes?”

               “Wait!  Mel…”

               “Lindz, I am going to say this once.  If you don’t wind your fucking neck in over Brian we are done!”

Lindz goes silent and sulks, which is a relief as that means she’s not simpering over me.

               “Wind your neck in?”  Brian laughs.  “Where’d you hear that?  I like it!”

               “That would be me.  Said it to that fucking ingrate when he wanted to use my Brownstone to discuss his problems with David, because it was closer.”  Zee snorts indignantly.

               “Oh shit speaking of David, we should really call them back in now!”

I head up to the second lounge and tell them it’s safe to come in now.  None of them say anything when they notice that Michael is not there.

               “Right come along commis let’s get this food show on the road!”  Zee calls out.

               “So what do we have on this auspicious occasion?”

               “Well since everyone liked it the last time, it is the vegan first course, then for a palate cleanser, there is courgette sorbet with an aquavit shot, tuna tartare, Hunter try Matt’s first, short ribs with medley of vegetables, string fries, onion rings and for dessert popping candy ice cream and cookies.  And as much booze as you want, that okay with you guys?  Oh and Justin let the man eat, I will send you home with extra okay?”

Justin had the good grace to blush.  Conversation during dinner is easy flowing and everyone, well almost everyone is happy.


BRIAN

I look round the table don’t feel remotely sad that Michael is not here, my only worry is Lindz, but I hope she will indeed wind her neck in over me because she will lose everything.  I shake my head and bat Justin’s hand away from my plate then smile at Lilah who is purring very loudly as she eats her salmon in her usual spot under my chair.

               “Can I have your attention please?  I wish to make a toast, to family and to the end of one chapter and the beginning of another!”

We all raise our glasses and cheer.

After eating we head to the lounge and slump down, the kids have gone upstairs again and we are sipping on brandies.

               “I am so happy baby.  I love you.”  I whisper in his ear.

               “Me too, me too.”  He whispers back.



End Notes:

The End well for now…there’s the wedding and more after all.  More to come in the sequel The Buzz of the Wasp


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=390