Bound By Fate. by Lorie , Nichelle Wellesly
FeatureSummary:

Brian and Justin meet when Brian hires him as an errand boy for Kinnetik. What does fate have in store for these two?

A Special and Heartfelt THANK YOU to TAG for the amazing banner!

Happy Reading! ~Lorie and Nichelle 


Categories: QAF US, Reader's Choice Award Characters: Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Emmett Honeycutt, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Abuse/Child Abuse, Anal Sex (Lots of it!), Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, BDSM, Bottom Brian, Coming Out, D/s, Language, M/M, Oral Sex, Out of Character, Rape, Real Life Issues, Rimming, Toppy Justin
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 60040 Read: 97599 Published: Sep 14, 2016 Updated: Apr 03, 2017
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The authors of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended...    

 

1. Chapter 1 by Lorie

2. Chapter 2 by Lorie

3. Chapter 3 by Lorie

4. Chapter 4 by Lorie

5. Chapter 5 by Nichelle Wellesly

6. Chapter 6 by Lorie

7. Chapter 7 by Lorie

8. Chapter 8 by Lorie

9. Chapter 9 by Lorie

10. Chapter 10 by Lorie

Chapter 1 by Lorie

 

 

Justin Taylor was tired. He was just plain tired. After more than a year on the streets of Pittsburgh, he knew there was no way he could keep up this pace and find a full-time job. A decent job. One where he didn't have to use his body to get by.

 

While the other occupants of the diner were discussing their latest tricks, Justin combed through the Want Ads in 'Pittsburgh Out' newspaper. He was a loner and was sometimes teased for it, but he didn't mind that. While those teasing him returned to their home in Vaseline Tower, Justin lived wherever he could lay his head for a few hours. Sometimes his tricks were nice enough to let him shower and stay the night, other times... Well, he wouldn't think about that.

 

It was a far cry from the life he used to live in the Highland Park suburbs, his hometown- located on the outskirts of the place where he now prowled the streets looking for what equated to lunch money to feed himself. He needed a real job and FAST! Needed to be able to rest his exhausted bones in a bed with a soft pillow and not have to worry about someone trying to steal the money he made or trying to rape him as he slept. It was the primary reason he stayed to himself and out of the back alleys most of the other boys frequented. Justin continued to study the paper, wishing and hoping that he could find something that wouldn't require a background check.

 

Sure he could clean and act as a janitor, but the only position available was at his little sister's school and his father had made sure to blackball him to anyone within their social caste who would have given him a hand up from the gutter he was currently inhabiting. Instead of being honest with his country club cronies, Craig Taylor chose to lie and say that his reason for throwing Justin out of the house was because he touched his younger sister inappropriately. The sad thing was that he had lied to Jennifer, and instead of believing the son whom she had birthed and reared to manhood, she chose to believe her husband. The irony was that Justin had caught his father fucking his secretary numerous times and had never given his father up, but at the first opportunity, Craig had disowned his son. Justin being gay was the tool that the unfaithful fucker needed to get rid of the only person who knew the truth of what really went on inside the back offices of Taylor Electronics- a place his mother was NEVER allowed to go.

 

Shaking thoughts of the past from his head, he focused once more on the section of the paper that mattered to him the most. He looked up briefly, to check the wall clock in the corner. Four a.m. The owner of the diner and the head waitress didn't mind the boys coming in during the middle of the night to get a bite to eat and dawdle a bit, but the rule was that they had to be gone by the time the breakfast rush came in. They were not allowed to accost customers coming in from their late-night jaunts at Babylon or ply their trades in the restroom. They could sit and rest but they couldn't flout the rules of the paying, semi-well-established public.

 

Nevermind that said public often used the restroom to fuck for free, but that was yet another line drawn between hustlers and ‘them'. Releasing a yawn into the air, Justin rubbed his eyes to remove the sudden spring of tears- part from exhaustion, the other from sadness. There was no use crying since it didn't change a fucking thing. It was time to find someplace to sleep for a few hours before the lunch regulars came, seeking a man to fuck them before they returned to their illusion of heterosexuality. Businessmen much like his own father, who breathed respectability while being the most amoral bastards to walk the face of the earth; men who lie to their wives about their fidelity while saying that it doesn't count if a man fucks them since they aren't gay, all the while riding his dick like they invented the Salami Express. It was all bullshit and he was tired of it.  

 

Looking back down at the table, he was about to close the paper when he noticed the very last ad on the page. It was for a local advertising company with which he was fairly familiar. Prior to the company being started, the building that now housed it used to be the Liberty Baths- the place where he'd taken his first trick up against the wall in the old shower room and the place where all his best tricks were found. Justin remembered when he had made five-hundred dollars on ‘No Towels Night', after being on the street for three months. That money was supposed to help him get a room for a few months while searching for a job. The money he had when he left home was stolen not long after he had been on the street.

 

Consequently, it was also the same night that he learned NOT to sleep heavily, or with his back anywhere but up against a wall while napping under a bridge. A hard lesson but one well-learned. So, seeing the ad for Kinnetik was both a blessing and curse... or perhaps it was a sign for a new beginning since they were holding open interviews later that morning. He didn't have a degree- his father ruined that for him too- but he could do many other things. If he could just get his foot in the door, he didn't care if he had to be the janitor, errand boy, or the personal slave to either one, he just wanted a job. A real job. And he was going after it.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian Kinney was restless. He should be content with his life; he was thirty years old and had built his own business from the ground up. Kinnetik was the top advertising agency in Pittsburgh. He could, and did, get any man he wanted. He now owned the whole building that housed his loft, preferring to keep the building mostly empty, except for the occasional out of town client who he would put up in one of the small studio apartments on the lower floors. But he knew without a doubt that there was something substantial missing from his life, he just didn't know exactly what it was.

 

Brian spent his days working on making his business the best it could be. He only hired the best and would accept nothing less than their best efforts. He had no patience or time to put up with mediocre work. He prided himself on being a fair man and rewarded his employees handsomely for their efforts. He worked long hours because he wanted... no, he needed, to be the best. Growing up with indifferent, abusive parents had taught Brian that you need to rely on yourself if you want acceptance.

 

Another way Brian sought acceptance was in the backroom of Babylon; the best dance club in town, and the place where he was undeniably the king and top stud. He had carefully built his reputation in the last twelve years, getting into the club the first time when he was just eighteen with a fake ID, balls of steel, and an attitude to match. He still went there a few nights a week, most of the time alone, just to get his needs met. Occasionally Ted, Emmett, and/or Michael would be there too. Although these days Michael would often be home with his husband Ben. However, on the nights Michael did want to go out he could be rather insistent about Brian dropping whatever he was doing and meeting him, whether Brian had plans or not.

 

Michael still considered himself Brian's ‘best friend', but Brian was growing tired of having to keep up appearances, and especially having to put up with Michael's ‘now I'm better than you' attitude when many days Brian would rather have stayed home and enjoyed a quiet evening reading or listening to music. Brian knew he was ready for a change in his life, he was just hoping that fate would intervene soon and show him what to do.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian was walking through the lobby on his way to Ted's office when he saw a familiar blond head. He knew that he has seen the kid around but couldn't recall where. It wasn't until the kid looked up and blue eyes connected with his own hazel ones that Brian realized where it was he had seen the kid. Out of all the hustlers on Liberty Avenue, day and night, this kid always looked out of place. He remembered coming out of the Liberty Diner one day with his friends, bumping into the blond and nearly knocking the slight frame over.

 

Michael had made some crack about checking his wallet, which he often kept in the front lapel of whatever suit he wore. He had known instinctively that although the opportunity had presented itself for the young blond to take his money and run, he had done the opposite. The young hustler had picked the wallet up off the ground and handed it back to Brian intact when their eyes had connected for the first time. When he offered the blond a reward for being so honest he had turned Brian down, saying ‘I might hustle, but I'm not a thief' while throwing a look of barely-disguised contempt to Michael, who was standing much too close. Brian had never found out his name, even though he had seen him walking alone many times at night outside of Babylon. But he'd often wondered what this kid's story was.

 

After looking up into the hazel eyes, Justin had bent his head back down, wondering what he was supposed to put down where it said name and address. The name was the easy part; it was the bold letters of ‘address' that was the killer. He couldn't very well say Liberty Diner, or beneath the Liberty, 31st Street, or Andy Warhol bridges. He definitely couldn't say Vaseline Tower even if he really did live there, which he did not. Justin sucked his lip into his mouth still pondering over the question when the clipboard was unceremoniously snatched off his lap.

 

His first instinct was to argue, until he looked into the sparkling hazel eyes just beyond the clipboard. Justin was mesmerized as those eyes assessed and studied him. It was almost as if the man was looking for something unidentifiable within his own blue depths. Justin sat rigidly, letting the brunet stranger look his fill. He had nothing to hide except the fact that he was homeless, never worked an honest job in his life, and needed a place to sleep that didn't include the next john trying to top him. He needed someplace that allowed him to sleep deeply, a luxury which he had come to find out was not safe to do on the streets.

 

All he needed was a chance to prove his own worth, but not at the expense of his pride.

 

Justin watched as the tall brunet took out a pen and a scrap of paper from his pocket, writing something on the paper, folding it, and attaching it to his application. Was he trying to give me his fucking phone number for a later date? I can't even fill out a simple job application without my past following me like a fucking black cloud hanging over my goddamn head! Justin thought as he started to gather his meager belongings, getting ready to leave, when he felt the stranger's hand on his arm. He looked down at it briefly, before looking up at the man who stayed his quick exit.

 

"I'm Brian Kinney, the owner of Kinnetik," the man told him, handing him back the clipboard. "Take this down the hall," Brian told the blond, pointing to the hallway on his right, "and make a sharp left. You will find the Chief Financial Operator- a really dorky looking guy by the name of Ted Schmidt. Hand him that note on your application and he'll give you what you need," the husky voice told him. Justin must have looked at him as if he was nuts because Brian asked him, "Were those words particularly hard to understand?"

 

Justin shook his head in the negative, not only as an answer but also to clear his clouded thoughts. The words 'I have a job', kept ricocheting around his brain like a volley between two skilled tennis players. Finally, brought out of his momentary stupor, Justin answered, "No, they aren't hard to understand. Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. Kinney. I won't let you down."

 

Brian nodded at him. "See that you don't. Now run along so Ted can earn his pay for once."

 

And with that Justin walked- or a better term would be floated- down the hall, unaware of the man that still watched him from the lobby with a slight smile on his face.

 

When Justin arrived at the door Brian had sent him to he knocked and waited. Ted got up and answered the door, wondering who would be knocking, most people just walked into his office.

 

"Yes, may I help you?" Ted said to the young man that looked vaguely familiar.

 

"Mr. Kinney sent me here and asked me to give you this," Justin answered, handing Ted the clipboard with the note that Brian had written attached.

 

Opening the note Ted read,

 

Ted,

Give Justin the key and the code for the first-floor apartment in the loft building. Let him know it's fully furnished and the rent is free for the first three months. Cut him a check for two thousand, (check that he has ID so he can cash it, if not give him cash). If he does have an ID, let me know and I'll call the bank so they don't give him a hard time. Tell him to use the money to get food and clothes. Tell him he is to move in today and that he starts work next Monday morning. Call and arrange for him to have a company cell phone and tell him to go pick that up today too. Make sure he has the phone numbers in case he needs to get in touch with us and ask him to call with his number once he gets it.

Thanks,

B.

 

Ted asked Justin about his ID, and then relayed all the rest of the information within Brian's note. The more Ted told him, the more confused Justin looked. Finally, Ted asked if he was alright.

 

"I'm fine, Mr. Schmidt. I just don't understand all of this," Justin answered. He just came here hoping for a job... any job, really. He didn't care if they wanted him to clean the bathrooms and empty the garbage. But not only was he acquiring the job he sought, but was getting money and a place to live before he even started work! He was having a very hard time wrapping his mind around all of this.

 

"First of all, my name is Ted. Second, there is something you need to know about Brian Kinney. If he decides you are worth his time and effort, he will do anything in the world to help you. All he asks in return are your effort and your loyalty," Ted answered the young man with a smile. The smile he got in return could have lit up the darkest night.

 

Justin left Ted's office and headed for the lobby. He had not felt this elated since before he was forced out of the only home he had ever known. As he left the building he saw Brian smoking a cigarette near the entrance. Justin smiled at him, not wanting to interrupt him taking a break, but Brian called him over.

 

"Did Ted give you everything you need?"

 

"Yes Sir, he did, and I don't know how to thank you. This is all so great, so unexpected," Justin answered.

 

"Just work hard and do your best. That's all I ask. Now, I would like to suggest that you open a checking account and not carry all that around in cash. If you open an account at the bank Kinnetik uses they will give you a debit card when you open the account. It's much safer to carry around, plus you can start using it immediately. Also, the apartment has sheets, towels, and pretty much everything else you will need except for food and clothes. If you need more money before you get your first paycheck, let me know. This should be the only job you need. Now, you should go to the bank and then get your phone and some food before you go home. Please call and give us your phone number as soon as you get it. Welcome to Kinnetik, Justin. I hope you'll be happy here," Brian told the blond before reaching out to shake his hand.

 

When their hands touched, Brian felt a jolt like he had been hit by lightning. Schooling his features, he wondered if Justin had felt the same thing. Justin had felt the exact same thing when their hands touched, but he certainly wasn't going to mention it to his boss. He didn't want to lose this job before it even started. He also understood exactly what Brian had meant when he said this should be the only job Justin needed. That was one thing his boss would never need to worry about. He never wanted to be a hustler in the first place! So he was more than willing to never do it again.

 

The next time I have sex with anyone, it will be because I want to, and not because I need food, a shower, or a place to sleep.    

 

After Justin left, Brian went back into the building, heading straight for Ted's office. When he entered, he crossed over to the window Ted was staring out of. They both saw Justin fist-pump the air, before crossing the street heading towards Torso. Before Brian had a chance to speak, Ted did. "It's a good thing you are doing, Bri. But I can't help but wonder why."

 

Brian folded his lips inward, before deciding how to answer Ted's comment. In a rare moment of blatant honesty with the accountant, Brian answered, "Perhaps it is because, without a twist of fate, I could have been ‘him'. Or to put it simply, I owe him one."

 

Ted turned to look at Brian, then. He watched his boss- a man he had known for years- regard the rapidly disappearing form of Justin Taylor as he made his way past the furniture store towards First National Bank, which held Kinnetik's and Brian's personal accounts. "Owe him? For what? You just met him."

 

Brian shook his head. "No. We've met before, but I didn't know his name." As Ted wracked his brain to remember where Brian could have possibly met the young blond, Brian recited the line that had stuck with him since that day many months prior. "I may hustle, but I'm not a thief."

 

Ted's eyes widened, as the realization dawned on him of just who Justin Taylor was. He had been with Brian the day that his boss had run into the slight frame, knocking him back but managing to steady the younger man in what could have been a very ugly incident. He and Brian were in a rush, they were on their way to snatch up another lucrative account from one of Brian's major competitors. Michael was determined to talk their ears off about the latest episodes of his life, while Brian and Ted were trying to prepare the last-minute details of the meeting to come. The young man had picked up Brian's wallet from the ground and handed it back to him.

 

Ted remembered hearing Michael, sneeringly, remind Brian to check his wallet. But the young man- even clearly downtrodden as he was- responded with dignity and class, saying that he may hustle but he wasn't a thief while leveling a scathing glance at Michael. The stance of inbred hauteur was what had struck Ted the most. Brian had offered him money for being so honest, knowing that if it was any other hustler, his wallet would have vanished like Houdini and Brian wouldn't have been the wiser until after their meeting. The young man had declined and went about his way, head held high, never looking back.

 

Like Brian, Ted knew that Justin Taylor was no ordinary street urchin. Of course, that reality was lost on Michael, who continued to complain about the boy's nerve and how he was overstepping his boundaries. Brian had remarked that Michael had forgotten where he came from in thinking that people like the young man were beneath him. He and Brian had left Michael standing there, saying that he would meet up with them later. Ted and Brian had long ago realized that there was no use arguing with Michael Novotny-Bruckner when his mind was made up, regardless of the subject.

 

From then on, both Brian and Ted had limited their contact with Michael. Sure, they were still friends with him. But after that the times they hung out with him were few and far between. Besides the fact that Michael was engrossed in his activities within a different world than Liberty Avenue, Kinnetik was growing by leaps and bounds every day and neither Brian nor Ted had time for petty bullshit. Ted honestly couldn't say that he missed Michael... well at least not the Michael that he was today, and he didn't think that Brian did either.

 

"In that case Brian, I think he will make an excellent addition to Kinnetik's staff."

 

"Well, I really don't make bad decisions," Brian said sarcastically, causing both men to snicker. "But we do have another account to prepare for Theodore. So let's cut the idle chit-chat, and get the fuck back to work."

 

Justin headed into the bank with the check Ted had given him. Once he got to the window, he handed the teller the check along with his ID. She glanced at it and then asked him to wait. Soon after, a well-dressed man in a suit came up beside Justin and asked that he follow him into his office. Once there Justin started to tell the man that he was sent there and that the check was real, only to be silenced by the man holding up his hand.

 

"Mr Taylor, my name is Clarke Morgan, and I'm the bank president. Mr Kinney called and asked that I take care of you personally. He asked that I open a checking account for you and make sure you have your debit card and anything else you need," the older man told him.

 

Justin smiled. He had been sure they were calling security on him for trying to cash the check. He couldn't really blame them. His clothes were worn, but it was the neatest thing he had left to wear. He certainly didn't look like someone who had a home.

 

"I just thought..." Justin started, although he wasn't sure what he should say to the man.

 

Holding up his hand again he said, "Mr Taylor, I have known Mr Kinney for many years. If he trusts you and believes in you, he will also expect you to believe in yourself. To him, your past doesn't matter. Your eyes are in the front for a reason. They are there for you to always look ahead, so that your future will be what you make of it. Make it bright, young Justin, just like that smile of yours. Now let's get you what you need so that you can start spending some of this money. Another thing, if you ever have a problem here at the bank, come straight to me and I will take care of you personally."

 

"Thank you very much, Mr. Morgan. I'll remember that."

 

When Justin was finished at the bank, he headed to the store to get his phone. Once that was accomplished, he called Kinnetik as Brian had asked him to, so he could give them the number. He was surprised when Brian answered the phone, as he thought he had gotten the number for the front desk.

 

"Uhh, Mr. Kinney... uh, sir,... you wanted me to call when I got the phone," Justin stammered.

 

"Justin, relax. I don't bite. There is no need to be nervous when you speak to me. Now, did everything go alright at the bank? Did you get everything you needed there?"

 

"Yes, Sir. Mr. Morgan took care of me himself."

 

"Good. Now, I'm going to text you my cell number in case you have any problems, or questions about the apartment. Do you have any questions about anything else?"

 

"Um, no... Well yes, Sir, I do have one question. Is it alright if I use some of this money to get books or other stuff to use?" Justin questioned.

 

"Justin, that was a sign-on bonus. That money is yours, do with it whatever you want. The reason I said to use it for food and clothes was that you will need clothes for work, and relaxing. Also, there is no food in the apartment, and you may actually want to eat. Don't forget to let me know if you need anything. Be safe and go shopping," Brian answered and hung up with a smile.

 

Justin headed to the store to get a new pair of jeans and a few dressier outfits for work. He wasn't exactly sure what he would be doing, so he picked up some casual pants and a few pairs of khakis, plus some button-down shirts in several colors. He didn't want to stand out but still wanted to look decent. The last thing he wanted to do was make Brian sorry that he took a chance on him. Once he had finished getting some clothes, he stopped at the grocery store.

 

He didn't get a lot there, because he wasn't sure how much room he had in the apartment as of yet. He chuckled while realizing that he probably should have stopped there first. But he figured he would just pick up a couple of staples, and a few other things. He decided to have everything delivered in a couple of hours, that way he could stop at the art store to pick up a sketch pad and some pencils.

 

It had been so long since he had been able to draw that he was silently hoping he hadn't lost the ability. Before his life had taken this turn he was in the top of his art class and had dreams of going to school for it after high school. But his father throwing him out of the house, then having him banned from finishing the last month of high school, had derailed all the plans he had for his future. That was a moment in his life he would never forget.

 

His father had come home unexpectedly and walked in on him kissing his boyfriend Jim. He was given only 15 minutes to grab what he wanted, before being forced to leave the house forever. He had been informed later by his best friend, Daphne- the one and only time he dared to call her- that Craig had told his mother he had caught Justin touching his sister while she slept and threw him out. There was no way he could even defend himself, as Craig had successfully isolated him from everyone and everything he had ever known. And so began Justin's life as a street hustler, while life undoubtedly went on as it should have for everyone else. 

 

After Justin had gotten a few things at the art supply store, he finally headed to what he hoped would be a decent place to live. When he first saw the building, it didn't look like much from the outside. But it did have a security door, so at least it looked like he would be safe, and the area was clean, much like an upscale neighborhood, even though it was near Liberty Avenue. He pulled out the paper with the door code and punched it in, 9-4-6-2-4. Wondering if there was a way he could make it easier to remember the code, he pulled out his phone and looked at it, laughing to himself when he realized that it spelled out ‘9-inch'.

 

Well, at least I won't forget how to get in the building.

 

Once inside, he went to the door of the first-floor apartment, taking a deep breath before unlocking and pulling back the door and entering his first real home in over a year. When Justin opened the door, he couldn't help the tears that fell so fast he could barely see. There had to be some mistake. What Ted had described as a ‘small studio apartment' was an amazingly furnished, open concept, thirty by forty space. Justin was expecting something tiny; a place with an old pull out couch, a hot plate, and an efficiency bathroom.

 

Instead, what Justin saw in front of him was a truly magnificent apartment! He decided he would take his time looking around. If he was expected to live there, he needed to know where everything was. The first thing he perused was the small, but elegant kitchen. Rather than just the simple hot plate Justin envisioned, there was a full-sized, fully equipped space: granite countertops, top of the line stainless steel appliances, and solid wood cabinets.

 

Looking through the cabinets, Justin found expensive pots and pans and all the best small appliances he could ever imagine wanting. The dishes and silverware were also quality items. This kitchen truly was fully stocked! Justin couldn't wait to start cooking meals here. When he finished his inspection of the rest of the apartment, he was going to make a list of groceries he needed to pick up.

 

Past the kitchen was a wall of folding doors. Pulling them back, Justin was shocked to see a full-size washer and dryer, iron, and an ironing board. In the last section were even an exercise bike and a treadmill. On the opposite wall was a linen closet, filled almost to bursting with neatly folded sheets, blankets, and pillows. Next to that was a very large closed pocket door, which led to what Justin assumed was the bedroom.

 

Opening the door, he discovered the most inviting bedroom he had ever seen. In the center of the room was a king-sized four-poster bed, covered with a puff quilt in jewel tones of amethyst, sapphire, ruby, and emerald. In addition to the four huge bed pillows, there were decorative throw pillows in the same jewel tones placed randomly on the bed. There was also a dresser with a mirror, chest of drawers, and night tables with lamps on either side of the bed. All the furniture matched the wood of the bed.

 

In the corner of the room was a chaise covered in sapphire ultra suede with a jewel-toned throw tossed across the back and next to the chaise was a small table to hold a drink or a book. On the other side of the chaise was a walk-in closet, with a clothing rod, shelves, drawers, and a large shoe rack. Next to that was yet another pocket door. It was evident that although the apartment looked small from the outside, the inside of it had many hidden depths. He was having the most wonderful time just exploring his new surroundings.

 

When Justin opened the door, he just stood there with his mouth hanging open. Inside was the most amazing bathroom he had ever seen! The walls were covered in tiny sapphire blue glass prism tiles. Behind the vanity was an enormous mirror. There was a huge shower that had clear glass on three sides and a jetted tub that was big enough for two. The toilet was behind a half wall, which was covered in the same blue glass tiles.

 

But the most luxurious thing to Justin's eyes was that the tub, toilet, and sink, while also sapphire blue, had what looked like silver veins running through them. Where the hell had he found marble this color? he thought as he continued in his explorations. Almost hidden in the corner of the room was a linen closet filled with the softest towels he had ever felt, in the same jewel tones found in the bedroom. There was also an assortment of soaps, shampoos, and other toiletries. Justin couldn't wait until he could take a relaxing bath and then climb in that bed.

 

Walking out of the bedroom, he turned to his left and saw the living room. An overstuffed sofa and an extra-wide chair, both covered in caramel-colored Ultrasuede with peacock blue throw pillows, were placed at right angles to each other facing a large screen television. At the side of the room were massive bay windows, with a comfortable looking window seat that was covered in the same caramel Ultrasuede and adorned with more peacock blue pillows. On the opposite side of the room were shelves with a stereo system on top. Looking around the room, Justin was concerned that somehow Ted had given him the wrong key. This place looked as if it was designed with him in mind but...

 

He decided to call and check before he got too comfortable. Ted answered on the second ring.

 

"Ted Schmidt..."

 

"Ted, this is Justin Taylor. I'm... I'm at the apartment you sent me to. Are you sure this is the right place? I was prepared for a simple pull out couch and a hot plate, but this place is a veritable palace compared to my expectations," Justin stated.

 

"Brown sofa, blue pillows, black sparkly granite counters, stainless steel appliances, sparkly blue bathroom, hardwood floors, colorful puff quilt on the bed?"

 

"Yes, all of that and more!" replied the incredulous blond.

 

"Yep, that's the place. Anything else you need?"

 

"No, not at all," Justin responded in awe.

 

"Okay then. Settle in and enjoy," Ted answered before hanging up.

 

Justin hung up his phone and just stared, unbelieving of his luck in having all of this for himself. He was just hoping that after the three months were up, he would be able to afford whatever the rent was on this amazing apartment. A few minutes later, the buzzer rang with his groceries. He tipped the guy and started putting everything away. He hadn't gotten anything that really needed cooking since he hadn't known what he had in the apartment. So he made himself a sandwich and sat down at the bar. While he was eating, he made a list of things to pick up the next day so he could cook himself a nice meal.

 

When he finished, he cleaned up and decided to go soak in the tub. Justin hadn't had a tub to soak in for so long and now he had a huge one, with jets! He had downloaded some songs onto his new phone and set it on the vanity to be safe while he bathed and listened to music. After soaking for an hour and almost falling asleep in the tub, Justin got out and wrapped himself in one of the soft towels, before deciding to relax on the sofa and watch TV for a while before going to bed.

 

As he was heading to the sofa, he saw an envelope on the floor by the door. Picking it up he saw his name written on the front. "What the hell is this?" he said into the open area. Unfolding the paper he started reading:

 

Justin,

Forgot to mention a couple of things. Cable and internet are all included and installed. Cleaning service comes on Mondays. She will clean the kitchen and bathroom, change the bed, wash any laundry in the hamper, dust everything, wash all the floors, and empty the trash. If there is anything you do or don't want her to do, just leave a post-it on the kitchen counter. All of this is included in the rent.

P.S. Take out menus are in the kitchen drawer, closest to the door.

 

The note was signed with a smiley face, but no name. Justin thought the handwriting looked familiar, but couldn't remember where he'd seen it before. He figured it must be from Ted. After all, he knew the code to the door, since he had given it to Justin along with the key. He must have come by when Justin was in the tub.

 

"I really hope I make enough to keep living here after the three months is up," Justin said aloud, hoping that whatever miracle had gotten him this far would keep happening. He would try to remember to ask Ted on Monday what the rent for this apartment would be.

 

Once he had everything straightened up and he was a lot more relaxed, Justin decided to see how comfortable the bed was. Moving most of the pillows to the chaise, Justin pulled back the comforter and very expensive sheets, then slid into the bed. His last thought before quickly succumbing to sleep was that this was the most comfortable and safe he had felt in his life.

 

Justin awoke Saturday morning feeling restored, having safely slept deeply for the first time since being homeless, more than a year before. He felt refreshed and totally relaxed. Lounging in the wonderfully comfortable bed, he contemplated what he would do today. He decided the first thing he would do is head to the grocery store for the ingredients to make some delicious dinners. On second thought, he should probably go get a haircut first. He didn't want to look like a bum on his first day of work.

 

As he was leaving his apartment, he noticed a box next to the door with a note on the top. Opening the note, he saw that it was in the same handwriting as the note that had been slipped under his door the previous night.

 

Justin,

Thought you might be able to use this. It's an older model, but the software has been updated and the hard drive is new. The sign-on code for the internet is DickCockPenisShlong.

 

He laughed at the sign-on code for the internet. It was signed with the same smiley face as the previous note. Looking inside the box, he found a computer and monitor. He wanted time to be able to play around with it, so he put the box inside his apartment and left for the store before he could get sidetracked.

 

Since he had a full-sized fridge and freezer, so he also picked up some containers so he could freeze meals so he could take lunch to work. He wasn't going to spend money on eating out when he loved cooking and wanted to save up so that he would be able to afford the palace of an apartment when the time came to start paying.  

 

After chopping vegetables and seasoning the meat, Justin had put the pot roast together and set it going to simmer for a few hours. He set the alarm on his phone so he wouldn't forget to check on the food, then decided to sketch the rooms of the apartment to pass the time. Justin hadn't had the tools needed to draw in so long, he thought he would be rusty. But once he started to sketch, it all came together and looked great. There were times he got so engrossed in his art that he would not notice anything else. When the alarm went off Justin decided that he would make popovers to go with the pot roast.

 

After he had finished eating and cleaned up the kitchen, he decided to set up the computer. He had found a small desk and chair tucked away in the corner alcove that he hadn't noticed when he first looked around the apartment. Once the computer was set up, Justin typed in the code for the internet and started searching around for recipes.   


Brian was heading out to meet his friends on Saturday night. As he walked out of the elevator and headed to the front door of the building, he caught a whiff of something and paused. Damn, he thought to himself, I wonder if he cooked that, or ordered from somewhere?     

Chapter 2 by Lorie

 

 

 

Monday morning Justin got up and showered, excited to start his new job. He had checked the bus schedule to make sure he wouldn't be late. Dressing neatly in khakis and a light blue button down shirt, then grabbing his lunch, he headed off to get the bus. Once Justin got to Kinnetik he headed to Ted's office to check on what he'd be doing.

 

"Good morning, Ted. I was wondering if you knew where I should go this morning. I didn't want to bother Mr. Kinney, and he didn't tell me exactly what I'd be doing. Also, do you know how much the rent is on that apartment?" Justin questioned the quiet accountant. "I'm really hoping I can afford whatever it is, because I love the place and want to stay there." 

 

"First off, I'll have to check on the rent, but I wouldn't worry if I were you. I'm sure you'll be able to afford it without a problem. Second, I'll have to check with Brian because I also don't know exactly what he wants you to do today," Ted answered, immediately picking up the phone.

 

"Brian, Justin is here and needs to know where you want him... Okay, will do, Boss." Ted said, hanging up the phone.

 

"Justin, he needs you to come to his office. It sounds like you'll be making a coffee run as your first assignment. He can be a real bear before his first cup. So if he growls at you, don't take it personally. For some reason he can't stand the coffee they have in the break room here and likes the coffee from the corner store. Just a hint, don't forget the sugar," Ted told Justin with a smile.

 

Justin quickly headed to Brian's office. When he got closer, he could hear his boss on the phone, sounding very pissed off.

 

"Well they'd better be on my desk within the hour, or your whole department will be out looking for new jobs."

 

Justin moved faster, not wanting to incur the wrath that was directed at whoever was on the other end of that phone conversation. Knocking on the closed door, Justin heard the curt, "Come in," and entered the office quickly.

 

"Ted said you wanted to see me, Sir."

 

"Yes." Brian answered sharply, before looking up into the blue eyes of his newest employee and instantly relaxing. "Yes, Justin. Could you please go down to the corner and get me a very large black coffee with sugar?" Brian asked, reaching for his wallet.

 

"Yes, Mr Kinney, right away," Justin said, refusing to take the money "I've got this. I'll be right back."

 

Justin hurried to the corner and ordered the coffee. Remembering what Ted had said, Justin grabbed an extra handful of sugar packets on his way out. Making sure the top was on tightly, Justin rushed the hot coffee back to his boss. Immediately granted entrance when he knocked, Justin set the hot coffee down on the coaster on Brian's desk and reached into his pocket for the extra sugar packets, which he set down next to the cup.

 

"Ted told you not to forget sugar, right?" Brian asked, laughing.

 

"Well, he may have mentioned you like your coffee sweet, Sir," The blond answered with a smile.

 

Brian tasted the coffee, then took off the top and started pouring most of the packets of sugar into the cup, putting the leftovers in a container in his desk drawer. Justin's eyes just kept getting wider, watching all the sugar Brian was pouring into the cup. Brian saw Justin's face and smiled. "It's my one vice for something sweet. Coffee needs sugar,"

 

Justin's first day went well. He ran errands, did some filing, and generally helped out with anything that was needed. He had brought his lunch, which he ate in the small break room. Most of the staff ate lunch outside of the office. Justin didn't want to waste his money, so he didn't use it for any reason beyond necessities. Living on the streets had taught him to be careful with what he had. You just never knew how long a good thing would last.

 

Within a couple of days, Justin had settled into a routine. After work he would take the bus home and strip out of his work clothes to relax for an hour before fixing dinner. He found that nothing he could do within that hour would put him at ease more than sketching. Lately, he had been sketching his boss, loving to see the changing faces of the man. If things were running smoothly, he was as calm as a placid lake on the outside. But if you looked closely, you could still see that his mind was constantly thinking about the next thing needing to be done. If someone disregarded a direct order, the looks Mr Kinney gave could melt glass. Justin hoped that he would never be on the receiving end of one of those looks.

 

Most of Justin's first week continued in the same way, until Friday came. It was a day Justin would never forget. The morning had gone very well. His boss had won two new accounts and was in a great mood when he left with the second client to go to lunch. Later on he was returning phone calls in his office and had asked Justin to go get him a coffee.

 

As usual, Justin refused money and just headed out to get the coffee. It was his way of showing gratitude to the man who had taken a big chance on him. To Justin's mind, buying the man's numerous cups of coffee was the least that he could do, since Mr Kinney had not only given him a job, but a place to call home as well. Upon returning he heard what could only be described as bellowing coming from the boss' office. Justin looked at Cynthia, who was at her desk just outside his office.

 

"The Art Department totally screwed up the boards for the presentation next Monday. Are you sure you want to take that coffee to him?" Cynthia asked.

 

"He asked for it, and I certainly don't want him to get mad at me. So here goes, but wish me luck," Justin told Cynthia with a smile.

 

"Good luck, Justin," Cynthia told the blond. She had noticed that Brian did seem calmer when the young man was around. Maybe it was Justin's own calm, quiet demeanor that seemed to put Brian at ease instantly. She just hoped it would work now.

 

Taking a deep breath, Justin knocked on the door to the still ranting man's office.

 

"What the fuck do you want?" came the bellowed question from within.

 

With another hopeful glance in Cynthia's direction, Justin pushed the door open. "I have your coffee, Sir," Justin said quietly.

 

"Come in, Justin. I definitely need that now. I have to figure out what the fuck I can do with these boards. I just wish I knew how to do the fucking things myself. Apparently no one in this place can follow simple instructions," Brian shouted, staring at the boards laid out on the table in front of him.

 

Justin glanced at the boards. He had been straightening out the conference room after the meeting earlier in the week while Brian had been giving the head of the art department instructions on what he wanted on the boards. His boss had been very clear on what he wanted, and these boards didn't even come close to what he had asked for. No wonder the man was about to go nuclear!

 

Without even thinking, Justin said, "That's nowhere near what you asked for, Sir. The images, layout, and font are all wrong."

 

Brian's head whipped around at Justin's voice. "How?... What?... You know how to do this stuff?"

 

"Yes. It's what I was planning to do after high school, but... well... that was before... everything went bad," Justin answered sadly.

 

"I know it's almost quitting time but... do you think you could stay for an hour and see if you could show me how I can fix this claptrap? I'll pay you overtime for staying," Brian was desperate, and hoping that maybe this kid could do better than the idiots he was paying a fucking mint to do the work; work they apparently didn't know how to follow directions on.

 

"Of course I'll stay and help you, Mr Kinney. And no overtime pay is necessary. You have already done more than enough for me," Justin told his boss, thrilled to be able to help the man that had possibly saved his life.

 

Leading Justin to the computer in the corner, Brian pulled up the programs used for the artwork. Justin sat down and looked at the screen. The programs were the same ones his school had used two years ago. He knew how to use these very well, but he wondered why they didn't have the newest ones, which were much better.

 

"Mr Kinney, do you have a list of the specs for the boards handy? I remember most of what you told, Murph. But I want to make sure I have it all,"

 

As Brian headed to the Art Department for the specs, Justin started to frame out the boards with what he remembered Brian asking for. By the time Brian got back with the specs and looked at what Justin had already done, he was amazed. Handing him the list, Brian stood back while Justin looked over the paper and made a few adjustments and saved it. Sitting back, Justin looked at the screen and then turned to Brian.

 

"Would it be alright if I tried something, Sir?" Justin asked, looking at Brian who was standing there stunned. "I saved the first one already, so there won't be any risk to it,"

 

Shaking his head to clear it, Brian answered, "Sure, go right ahead,"

 

He couldn't believe the talent of this kid. The kid he had hired to get coffee and make copies. He definitely needed to make some changes. But damn, the kid always got his coffee order just right; he hated to give that up! Brian went to his desk to give Justin space to work and not hang over him.

 

A little while later Justin was standing in front of his desk with printouts of what he had done. "Here is the layout with your specs, Sir. And here is another idea I had, in case you would like to see it," Justin handed Brian several pages.

 

"Why did you print them out on paper instead of on the boards, Justin?"

 

"It seems kind of wasteful to print them on the boards if they aren't what you are going to use, Sir,"

 

"That does make sense. Thanks," Brian answered, spreading out the pages and looking at what Justin had done in a mere hour, while the art department had four days and still fucked the whole thing up.

 

Handing Justin the pages with his new design on them, Brian told the blond, "Can you print these up on the boards? Your new designs are better than my original ideas,"

 

"Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir," Justin happily told his boss, and went to print up the new boards.

 

"And Justin, call me Brian, like the rest of the Art Department,"

 

Justin turned so fast, he almost fell over, "Wha... what? What did you say?"

 

"I said you should call me Brian, like the rest of the Art Department," Brian repeated slowly.

 

"But... but, how? I don't have a degree, or... or... anything," Justin stammered.

 

"Number one, it's my company; I can do whatever the hell I want. And number two, you've shown me more talent in an hour than my whole art department has shown me in the past week. You're fucking brilliant, Justin! I'm not going to waste a talent like yours by having you make copies and fetching coffee. Although I may still need you to make the coffee runs, occasionally. At least with you my coffee is always right," Brian answered with a smile.

 

Once the completed boards were safely put away, Brian and Justin left the building. As Brian was locking up, Justin headed towards the bus stop.

 

"Goodnight... Brian. I'll see you on Monday," Justin called as he walked away.

 

"Hold up Justin, I'll drive you home. After all, we're going to the same place," Brian called to the blond.

 

"We're what?" Justin asked, totally confused.

 

"I live on the top floor, Justin. I own the building," Brian told the shocked looking man. "Surely, you must have heard the elevator going up and down?" 

 

"Well, of course I heard it. But I had no idea who else lived in the building,"

 

"Actually, we're the only ones who live in the building. I usually use the other apartments for visiting clients. It's easier than paying for hotels,"

 

"Then why...?" Justin started to ask, not sure exactly what to say.

 

"Because you needed a place, and there is plenty of room in the building. Plus, it's safe," Brian answered in a tone that told Justin to just drop it.

 

"Okay then. I just have one question though. How much is the rent going to be? I certainly hope my boss pays well enough for me to afford the apartment I want," Justin said with a smile.

 

"Don't worry. You'll be able to afford it," Brian answered with a smirk.

 

They walked to Brian's jeep silently, both concentrating on their own thoughts.

 

Once they got to the loft, Justin started to put in the door code. As he did, he tried not to smile. Brian saw the blond's face and smiled before saying, "Most of my friends used to have the keys to this door, and to my loft. I got tired of being walked in on like I lived in Macy's, so when I bought the building I changed it to a code. None of my other friends have been able to figure out what it is. Of course, Ted knows, but he likes his job so he pretends he doesn't. Even when I know they are all coming over, he will still just ring the bell. Other than Ted, no one else knows that I own the building,"

 

Walking inside, Justin heads to his door. Before he gets very far, Brian asks "Do you cook or do you order from somewhere? Because whatever food you have always smells amazing,"

 

Justin smiled. "I love to cook. I don't want to waste my money ordering in, when I can make pretty much anything myself. In fact, I was planning on making steak and salad tonight. If you want to join me, you're more than welcome to," Justin offered.

 

"That sounds great, if you're sure you wouldn't mind," Brian answered.

 

"Cooking two steaks is just as easy as cooking one. Come on in." Justin told him as he opened the door.

 

Stepping inside the apartment, Brian was happy to see that Justin was very neat. The apartment looked like someone lived there, but not in a messy or dirty way. There were sketchbooks and pencils on the desk and the coffee table, along with a folded hand towel on the kitchen counter.

 

"Brian, would you like a beer, wine, or something harder? I don't have a lot of stuff but I do have Beam, Chivas, and a bottle of Patron."

 

Brian's cell phone chose that moment to ring. Looking down at the screen, he groaned at the display. He decided to answer Justin, even as he pushed the green ‘talk' button. "Beam is more than fine. Just give me a minute to deal with this," Brian took a deep breath, before putting the phone up to his ear.

 

The excited voice on the other end was already going a mile a minute before Brian even said ‘hello.' "Hey, Brian. Ben and I have a free night! So meet us at Woody's, and then we'll dance the night away at Babylon. It'll be just like old times!"

 

Brian rolled his eyes, and shook his head. It was amazing to him that he was simply expected to drop everything for the chance to hang out with Michael. "Not tonight. Something's come up." The whine that followed Brian's declaration nearly split his eardrums.

 

"Aww, come on Brian! You can get your dick sucked anytime! In fact, you have done so at Woody's and Babylon countless times; I doubt tonight would be any different. So let's go! If I have to come over there..."

 

"Michael... listen to me. Are you listening?" He could see the creases in Michael's forehead and ever-present pout he had on his face, even through the phone. Years of familiarity had a way of making Brian sure of Michael's reactions when he wasn't getting his way. "I. am. busy. Now you and the Professor enjoy yourselves. As for me, I have other plans. Why not call Emmett and Ted and see what they are up to?"

 

"I already called and both are busy tonight. Come on, Brian! Don't disappoint me! How often do we get to spend time together these days? You're always working and I..."

 

"Am too busy being Mrs. Novotny-Bruckner to keep up with the rest of us, until you're ready to," Brian interrupted Michael mid-whine, knowing that the guilt-trip and tirade was well on its way to becoming legendary. "Well here's a news flash for you, Michael- some of us have better things to do than wait until you have a night out from Stepford Fag-ville to come relive your glory days on Liberty Avenue. That said, have a good time. Don't do anything I would do... on second thought, maybe you should. Bye now."

 

He hung up the phone and then thought better of it. Reaching for the red button, he held it until the mechanism shut down completely before tossing it carelessly inside his jacket pocket.

 

Justin stood there, looking at the man before him, with drink in hand. He wasn't sure what that was all about, and although curious, he wasn't going to ask. He figured that if Brian had wanted him to know, he would have offered an apology or explanation. Or at least, that's what he would have done in his former life of WASPdom. Handing Brian his drink, Justin said, "So how do you like your steak?"

 

Brian snickered at Justin's attempt to move the evening along. He could appreciate the young man's tact in not prying about his relationship- or lack thereof- with Michael. The fact was that he and Michael had grown apart, and Brian wasn't sure how to feel about that at the moment. It was better to just forget the whole encounter. "Medium-rare,"

 

"Okay. That can be arranged, although I like mine medium-well,"

 

"Why would you want to mess up a perfectly good cut of steak like that?" Brian scrunched his face up in mock-disgust, causing the younger man to laugh.

 

"It would be my luck to find someone into raw meat. But then again, I've heard you yelling for most of the week. So it would stand to reason that you like chewing ass,"

 

Brian laughed. "You have no idea, Youngster,"

 

The conversation from then on was easy. Brian had gone upstairs for a few moments to change out of his suit, and to leave his phone by his bedside. Although they had a good working relationship so far, he was determined to slake his curiosity about the enigma downstairs who was presently preparing dinner for the two of them. Justin Taylor was anything but average, which was something Brian discovered a fairly long time ago when the young man returned his wallet. Brian wanted to know a little bit more about him, mainly how he ended up homeless and why he didn't try for a higher position within Kinnetik when he applied for a job. It was obvious that Justin was skilled, so why did he limit- or content- himself with just being an errand boy?

 

Brian was looking for a segue into getting his questions answered, when Justin beat him to the punch by asking one of his own. "How did you start Kinnetik?" At Brian's raised eyebrow, Justin added, "It's just that you seem really young to have your own successful business. Most of the uber-successful people I have seen are older, like mid-forties or early fifties. But you... you can't be more than thirty-five and you have all this," Justin waved his hand haphazardly to encompass the apartment building, as well as Kinnetik.

 

"I had a major creative difference with my former employer, resulting in me being let go. Within my contract as a junior partner was a clause stating that he couldn't fire me, and that if he wanted me out, he would have to buy back my partnership."

 

"That was a smart move on your part."

 

"Yeah it was," Brian agreed, absorbing the praise. He wasn't sure why it mattered so much what the blond, former urchin, thought of him, but it did. "Anyway, I used the money as start-up for the company, and the rest I took out as a loan. After I landed my first major client, Remson Pharmaceuticals, I used a tenth of the contract fee to pay off the loan, then put the rest back into the business."

 

"That must have been one hell of a contract," Justin said in awe.

 

"It was five million dollars and has increased to seven million over the past three years. With the exception of the Art Department at the moment, I only hire the best people to work for me. So far that strategy is working,"

 

"I'll bet that your old boss- or partner- is sorry that he let you go now,"

 

Brian smiled. He couldn't help recalling just how sorry Gardner Vance is right now. "I would say that he is. I absorbed his company my second year in business. It turns out that once his clients found out that I was no longer with Vanguard, they jumped ship. We had a waiting list a mile long of people wanting to have Kinnetik do their advertising, primarily those who were already familiar with my work. I hired more staff and opened up two more offices to accommodate everyone that came to us from my old client lists. The Pittsburgh office handles key accounts as well as the new ones that come in. The other two offices are there as satellites, so that the clients within other cities have a branch of Kinnetik to go to for immediate fixes or changes to their campaigns. However, everything is still run by myself and the employees and the staff within the Pittsburgh office. We've been very fortunate."

 

"So where do I fit into this?" Justin couldn't help but ask. The one thing he didn't want to do was to put someone else out of a job. He just couldn't handle that happening, even at the expense of advancing himself.

 

"Well, if all goes according to plan with the presentation on Monday, and based on the level of talent that you displayed just within the hour of receiving instruction on the boards then adding in your own idea to make the campaign much better, I think I might save you for the more lucrative accounts which I handle personally,"

 

Justin nearly choked on his steak, hearing that. He shook his head. "Brian, you have a staff full of talented, hard-working people who deserve that chance more than I do,"

 

Brian put his utensils down as he stared intently at the blue-eyed blond, who wouldn't meet his eyes. "Justin... look at me," Brian commanded in a soft voice. At first, he wasn't sure that Justin would follow the instruction. But when he did, Brian could see all of the younger man's thoughts written in the eyes that glistened as he regarded him. Clearing his throat while absorbing the emotion on full-display, Brian said, "You have to know that you are worth this chance. In fact, you deserve it more than anyone I have working for me right now. None of them have ever had to work as hard just to eat. They tend to take this job as their due, and some have been taking my generosity for a weakness. That is something that I will never tolerate and it will be dealt with accordingly.

 

"You on the other hand, would have been perfectly content to keep running errands as long as you had a job, a roof over your head, and food to eat. You aren't greedy, nor are you lazy or taking anything for granted. I look at you and see what I would have become had I not worked my ass off to have both a sports scholarship and an academic one, which gave me five years of college tuition free. The reason it was five years was because I was on an accelerated Master's program. Therefore, I was the youngest student in my graduating class with a Master's in Advertising and a Bachelor's in International Business. I was just as driven as you are now. And you are as deserving of this as I was back then. So stop with the fucking false modesty. It won't get you anywhere. You're good. Own it! Celebrate it! And continue to prove it. Life's not worth living if you not take risk," he added in an old Chinese Master's voice, to give a little levity to the seriousness of his words.

 

Justin laughed. "Fine, Master Kung Pao Chicken. I'll take your advice and own my talent. Just don't fire anyone. Okay?"

 

Brian rolled his eyes. "I just said that you will be working with me directly. The other artists- and I use that term loosely based on what they did to those piss poor boards- still have other accounts that they are working on. Your job will be to fix what's wrong with them, if anything, while still working for me on the larger, more lucrative campaigns. Feel better?"

 

"I guess so. Thank you,"

 

"For what? Your talent did this; I'm just capitalizing on it,"

 

Justin smiled wide. "Something tells me that working directly for you will not be easy. I'll probably be begging to go back to running errands before next week is out."

 

"And I wouldn't let you! But don't worry, you're still going to be my official coffee maker, so you won't be missing out on the errand boy portion of your job too much. One more thing, Justin. Do you know of any special software you'll need, or is what we have sufficient?"

 

"Well, since you asked, the software you are using is at least three years old. There are some amazing new programs available that could be used to create even more outstanding artwork on the boards," Justin answered, happy that he had kept up with the newest software available by spending time relaxing at the library and just searching around on the computers there.

 

"And you are again proving that changing your position in the company is a great decision. No one in my Art Department ever suggested getting any new programs, and they are the ones who should know about the latest software available," Brian commented, earning him another one of Justin's incredible smiles.



Hours later, both men found that saying ‘Later' was kind of hard. It wasn't so much the attraction between them, but the fact that both had found an ease with each other that was rare, and uncomplicated. For those few hours, they had managed to forget that they were from two different worlds or that they hadn't known each other more than a week. It was just easy and natural; something neither one had an opportunity to feel at all in their individual lives. Brian gave Justin concepts and other verbal cues to a few of the newest campaigns he had been working on while Justin sketched them out, adding his own little flair here and there. They each received an inkling of what it would be like to work with the other on a regular basis, and neither one could say they were sorry for the new arrangement.

 

But more importantly, both could admit- if only to themselves- that an unusual friendship had just been created.

 

Chapter 3 by Lorie

 

Monday morning

Monday morning brought about several changes. The first was Brian's impromptu meeting with Ted, Cynthia, Murph, and Clarice Williamson, who was the Head of Human Resources. Justin was included in the meeting. Upon submitting the boards for the campaign Kinnetik would be presenting later that afternoon, Justin was given full credit for the campaign and received a promotion, which took him from hourly employee to salaried. Although Justin had been expecting a raise, what he wasn't expecting was to be making only a little less than the current Art Director or his assistant.

 

Justin's new job title of Executive Artistic Liaison, was a specialized position created for him. He would have his own assistant, as well as an office just outside of Brian's. His main focus and purpose would be to sketch ideas put forth in the initial meetings and build the boards needed for presentations, especially those that Brian worked on directly. While Murph was still to be included in those meetings, he would be there as a representative for the Art Department; gathering information to get Justin the tools he needed to complete those campaigns. Murph knew that his position within the department wasn't threatened.

 

However, he did expect pandamonium to break out amongst the other artists. Once word got out that there had been a special position created for Justin Taylor- an unknown artist, who just last week run errands for the entire office- there would be no shortage of drama within the art department. As it was, there was discontent, through no fault of Brian's or his own; just a few people who thought they knew better than what the boss wanted. Murph voiced these thoughts to Brian aloud, and received a very curt answer in reply.

 

"I think you and I both know Murph, that if they had all done their jobs correctly the first time, there would have been no need for me to do this. In fact, I probably still wouldn't know that Justin was this good. So feel free to fire anyone who questions this change in the hierarchy. You don't owe any of them an explanation, and I'll be damned if I'll give them one."

 

Murph simply nodded his head. Brian had always been a hard, but fair employer. So, for him to take this type of stance wasn't necessarily unusual. Granted, the quality of artwork displayed shouldn't cause an uproar, and Brian was absolutely correct in saying that if they had done their jobs the first time there wouldn't be an issue. It was just that he was loathe to have to deal with the temperamental artist who had worked on this particular campaign.

 

He had been having trouble with Laura Wright since the very beginning. She always wanted to do what she wanted to do, instead of what was asked. As a result, the campaign was now Justin's. Laura wasn't going to take that easily or well. "I'll let them know that when I make the announcement, Brian. I just wanted you to be prepared."

 

Brian smirked. "Don't worry, Murph, I am. Now Justin, I need you to sit at the computer and pick out furniture. Remember you not only have carte blanche, but that will be your office. So pick the things which will inspire you to create. Cynthia, I want you to stay with Justin and walk him through the showrooms that we use. Have the contractors, if necessary, come in during the off hours tonight and tomorrow night to get the office done to Justin's specifications. I don't foresee a problem with the lighting, but I'm not an artist so I'll leave that to him. Also, I need you to order two drafting tables; one for his office and the other one portable.

 

"Ted, your job is to get the latest software in here, immediately. Justin will tell you what is needed. I won't have outdated materials being the reason that the art department hands me shit like they did on Friday night. I want all of the programs updated by no later than six pm on Thursday. Brown is due for another campaign, as are Iconix and Remson. Meanwhile, we still have twenty-three other campaigns going on at the same time, and all of the artwork needs to run on the same network so that Justin can do his job properly. As for you Clarice, I need you to call the agency to have qualified applicants for Personal Assistant sent over. Cynthia can help Justin choose the one that would best suit his needs."

 

"I would kind of like another Cynthia, or we could just share her," Justin piped up.

 

Brian laughed. "I don't share my toys or my woman, Blondie. You have to get your own." His comment caused everyone in the conference room to laugh, since many times Cynthia had been termed as Brian's work-wife or his hetero main-squeeze. Like it or not, she was his and had been since the days of Ryder Advertising, where they both started. He wasn't ever giving her up.

 

"Oh fine, Brian. Since you're not willing to share, will you at least allow Cynthia to train the newcomer?"

 

"Sure, as long as it doesn't interfere with what she does for me."

 

"Then you have a deal, Sir."

 

The room became still in that moment. Although brief, the silent communication happening between Brian and Justin was not lost on any of the conference room occupants. No one said anything, but there was a distinct crackle in the air following the word ‘Sir,' regardless of how professional Justin made the word sound.

 

"We've talked about this, Justin," Brian scolded gently. "I'm just Brian. No need for formality. You'll get used to it."

 

Having a little difficulty breathing as Brian's voice slid over his nerve endings, Justin shivered a little. What the fuck is happening to me? he thought. Swallowing hard before speaking, he said, "No problem... Brian... I'm just used to saying ‘Sir' or ‘Madam' when the situation warrants it. I'll do better, I promise."

 

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will become natural to you the more you call me Brian. In the meantime, I think that it's time that you really take a look at your new office. The rest of you, get to work. Time is money, which is exactly why you're broke."

 

They all rolled back from the large white table in the center of the room, intent on beginning their day. As the others exited the room, Brian remained seated, willing his sudden erection to decrease. He had never heard the word ‘Sir' sound so erotic in all his jaded life. There were times and instances where Brian had heard the word, both spoken or screamed in ecstasy, but nothing prepared him for the way he felt after Justin said it. It had been happening more and more frequently since last week. He wasn't sure if he liked it or not. But he had to put a stop to it before he did something to embarrass himself... and Justin.

 

Justin and Cynthia spent the next hour selecting and ordering furniture for Justin's new office. Every once in a while she had to tap his arm to get an answer to her questions. Justin was having a difficult time wrapping his head around the fact that, in just one week, he had gone from being a homeless hustler to being Executive Artistic Liaison at the best advertising agency on the east coast. When the furniture ordering was complete, Justin looked at his office space with a critical eye, deciding exactly what needed to be done for him to work and live up to the position Brian had created for him. He was determined to live up to, and hopefully even exceed, the faith Brian had in his abilities. As Justin was finishing up his sketches for the contractors for the few minor changes he wanted in his office, Cynthia came in and told him that they would begin interviewing for his assistant in the morning.

 

When he was finished for the day Justin headed out to the bus stop, happy at all he had accomplished. He was sitting on the bench waiting for the bus when Brian's jeep pulled up and the door was thrown open. Behind the jeep an annoyed bus driver was laying on his horn.

 

"Get in, before I get in a fight with a pissed off bus driver," Brian shouted over the blaring horn.

 

Justin quickly got up and climbed into the jeep, barely getting the door closed before his boss pulled out into traffic.

 

"Do you like Italian? We're celebrating your new job. I would have told you earlier, but I was in meetings and then you left before I could find you," Brian told the stunned blond.

 

"Yes, I like Italian, but you don't have to do this Brian. You have already done so much for me. I can barely get my head around all the changes in my life in just the last week. I've gone from being a homeless hustler to having a beautiful apartment and an amazing job, all because of you."

 

Brian didn't know why, but he really enjoyed spending time with Justin. The younger man was funny, charming, intelligent, and not afraid to give his opinion. He had his own mind, and wouldn't just agree to placate someone else, even his boss. Brian admired that. Driving across town, Brian took Justin to a small, family run Italian restaurant he had found one day when he was looking to be alone. He was really hoping to find out more about the young man he had hired.

 

The place was pretty full for a weeknight, and Brian decided that due to there being so many people there he would wait to ask about Justin's past when there was more privacy. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass or upset the young man. Dinner was enjoyable; the conversation interesting, and at times, lively. They talked about books they had read, current events, and their likes and dislikes. After dinner, Justin refused dessert. But Brian had seen Justin's face when the next table had ordered a cheesecake. So when he paid the check, he asked the waiter to wrap up a cheesecake to go. The drive home was made in comfortable silence with Justin occasionally humming along to the radio.

 

Brian parked the car around the back of the building, and showed Justin where the back door was. He said, "Just in case you need to avoid the front door for any reason," Brian didn't elaborate and Justin didn't ask.

 

When they were inside the vestibule Brian held up the box and asked, "So how about some coffee and cheesecake?"

 

"Sure. Come on in. I just picked up an assortment of pods for the coffee maker. I figured I'd try different ones to see what I like," Justin answered, not sure why he was so happy that Brian didn't seem to want their evening to end either.

 

Once inside, Brian took off his jacket and tie, making himself comfortable on the sofa, just wanting to relax. He felt surprisingly comfortable with Justin, and was more than happy to continue their evening. Justin turned on the coffee maker and asked Brian if he had a preference in coffee.

 

"Something strong, but different. Surprise me," He told Justin with a smile, trusting that his favorite ‘coffee fetcher' would get it right.

 

While he was waiting, Brian saw a sketchpad on the table and asked Justin if he could look at it. Justin nodded and Brian began to peruse the sketches.

 

"These are amazing, Justin! Damn, you really are very talented."

 

"Thanks. It's just something I do to relax. I just draw whatever pops into my head."

 

Brian had seen a couple of sketches of himself in there, and had to refrain from asking Justin how often he popped into the blond's head.

 

A few minutes later, Justin came into the living room, with two steaming mugs of coffee and two slices of cheesecake on a tray. Setting it down on the coffee table, Justin handed Brian his mug.

 

"I hope I got the sugar right, Boss," Justin smiled.

 

Taking a sip of the steaming liquid, Brian groaned. "This is heaven, and the sugar is just perfect. What kind of coffee is this?"

 

"It's called Mahogany, and one of my favorites," the blond told him. Just as he was settling himself to take a sip, Justin's intercom buzzed as if someone was intentionally leaning on it.

 

"Are you expecting someone?" Brian asked, hoping for a negative answer.

 

"No one knows I live here, so no," Justin said, getting up to answer and stop the annoying noise.

 

"Yes, may I help you?" Justin said into the intercom.

 

"My best friend lives on the top floor. Let me in," was the whining reply he got.

 

Glancing at Brian, who was trying not to wince at the voice from device, Justin answered, "Well then, ring his bell, and not mine,"

 

"He's not answering! So let me in!"

 

"No. I don't know you, and if he's not answering, then he's probably not at home,"

 

"Let me in and I'll wait for him,"

 

"Like I said, NO. Now go away, I'm not letting you in." With that Justin turned off the volume on his intercom, and rejoined Brian on the sofa. "Did I put enough sugar in your coffee?" Justin asked as if the last few minutes hadn't even happened.

 

"Yes, it's perfect, thank you," Brian smiled, before continuing. "Justin, I'm not trying to intrude and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but you seem like you grew up in a good place. How did you end up where you did?"

 

Knowing instinctively that he could trust Brian, Justin decided to open up about his past. He had never told anyone before- not even his best friend, who he had been warned to stay away from- even though he knew that she would have supported him throughout it all. But he had done as Craig commanded, except for that one call, and had not seen or spoken to her in over a year. He often wondered how she was doing. But still, he just couldn't take the chance of her getting into trouble because of him.

 

"Well, a little over a year ago I was at home after school studying with a guy I liked, while everyone was out. We started making out and all, but I didn't know that my father had arrived home early. We were in my room and my door was shut, when all of a sudden, my door flew open and my father was standing there. When he saw us, his face turned red and he was beyond furious. He screamed at Jim to get the fuck out, and told him that if he ever saw him again, he would tell his parents what he had seen. Needless to say, Jim ran out of there like his hair was on fire. Then my father got real quiet, and began breathing really deep. He looked at me like I was the most vile and disgusting thing he'd ever seen. He took out his phone and told me to give him my bank card with my pin number. He put the info in and changed the pin. Then he told me I had fifteen minutes to pack whatever I could carry, and disappear. He said he was going to tell my mother that he caught me touching my little sister while she slept; that if he ever saw me again, he would call the police and have me arrested for molesting her. Then he slammed my door and went downstairs," Justin stated sadly, taking a deep breath before continuing.

"I grabbed what I could and put it in my backpack and the duffel bag I'd always carried with me. Luckily, I had about three thousand dollars in cash hidden my room so at least I would have something. I knew it wouldn't last long, but at least I wouldn't starve. I walked down the stairs, and he said that if I dared to contact anyone he knew, I would be arrested. That also included my best friend, Daphne. He told me that he would have people watching to be sure I did what he wanted, and then he said that I was dead to him. I walked out and that's the last time I saw my home. After that, I slept in the park, or the bus station; wherever I could. A few months later, I fell asleep too deeply and when I woke up all the rest of my money and most of my possessions were gone. I learned to never go all the way to sleep after that. A couple of days later, some old guy in the park said he would pay me if I let him blow me. And well, I hadn't eaten in a few days so I said okay. I felt so disgusted with myself after that. I only did that kind of stuff when I was desperate. The only thing I never did was let anyone fuck me. I didn't care about anything else, but I wasn't doing that. It was the only thing I had left," Justin told the last part while looking down at his lap and clenching his hands, feeling disgusted with himself all over again. "Are you sorry you hired me now?"

 

"No, Justin. Not at all. In fact, I'm proud of you. You are a good person. What you did, you did as a means of survival. All I wish is that I'd hired you sooner," Brian answered, amazed at the resilience of this young man. Many of the adults he knew wouldn't have been able to survive the streets for two hours, let alone a year. It spoke a lot about Justin's character. "Well now, on to more pleasant subjects. Did you find everything you needed for your office? And did you also let Cynthia know what changes need to be made?" Brian asked, smiling at the young man who seemed more amazing to him every day.

 

"Yes, I found everything I need, and I left sketches and measurements for the contractors. There were only a few minor changes I needed made. I also gave Ted a detailed list of the new programs needed for the art department," Justin answered, grateful for the easy change of subject. "This cheesecake is delicious, I think I'll try making one this weekend to see if I can do as well. I hope you'll try it, and give me your opinion,"

 

"Sounds like a plan. You'll have to be really good though, since they make the best cheesecake in this whole town," Brian said with a grin.

 

"Challenge accepted, Boss," Justin answered Brian with a smile.

 

Random conversation followed as they each finished their cheesecake and coffee. Finally, Brian realized it was getting late, and they both had early meetings in the morning.

 

"Well Justin, I should get going. I have an early meeting scheduled tomorrow. What time is your first interview?"

 

"Eight-thirty, and thanks for reminding me. I need to check the bus schedule, it would be very bad form for me to be late to the interview,"

 

"I'm going in at the same time. So I'll meet you at the jeep at eight o'clock,"

 

"You don't have to do that, Brian. I don't want to put you out,"

 

"Justin, we are going to the same place at the same time. How would you be putting me out? Be at the jeep at eight. Boss' order," Brian told him with a smile as he headed for the door.

 

The next morning Justin made sure he was already waiting when Brian came out. He certainly didn't want to take advantage of the man's kindness by making him wait.  

 

"Wow, you almost look like you have a real job, Taylor," Brian teased as he saw Justin waiting by the jeep.

 

Justin dressed up with a jacket and tie because he and Cynthia would be interviewing candidates today for the position of Justin's assistant. He wanted to look professional. "Do you think it's too much?" Justin questioned, now worried that he should have stuck to his previous casual attire.

 

"Not at all. I was just teasing. You look very nice in a jacket and tie," Brian complimented.

 

The ride to the office was quiet with Justin humming along to the radio. Once inside, both men went to their offices to prepare for the day. Cynthia came in about ten minutes later and asked Justin where he would like to do the interviews.

 

"Use my office. I will be in meetings until at least noon," Brian interrupted.

 

"Thank you, Brian," Justin said as he looked at his watch. "I'll be right back." The blond said as he quickly exited the building.

 

Brian and Cynthia just looked at each other and shrugged, each getting started with their normal morning routines. Five minutes later, Justin came rushing back into Brian's office with an extra large coffee.

 

"I figured you could use this, and I don't know when I'll have time to go get it once the interviews start," Justin said, slightly out of breath.

 

"You do know that you no longer have to get coffee for me Justin, don't you?" Brian told him, smiling and thankful for Justin's thoughtfulness.

 

"But you never said that I couldn't. And I figured with your meetings this morning, you could probably use a cup,"

 

Justin hadn't told Brian, but one of the things he had ordered when he ordered his office furniture was a pod coffee maker, the same model he had at home, and an assortment of coffees to go with it.

 

Brian headed to the board room to begin his meetings, as Cynthia and Justin made themselves comfortable within Brian's office.

 

Meanwhile, Murph had called a meeting of the Art Department staff to announce the changes that would be made, both in staffing and in the advanced programs that they would be getting, which would hopefully make everyone's job easier. The first one to show up for the meeting, unfortunately for Murph, was Laura Wright, the artist who had submitted the wholly unusable boards for the new account. Walking in and sitting down like she owned the place, Laura sulked until the others had joined the meeting before she groused, "Where the hell is that useless gopher that was hired? The least he could do is to go get coffee, if we have to sit here through another pointless meeting,"

 

"Well Laura, since you asked, Justin has been promoted. He is now the Executive Artistic Liaison. At Mr. Kinney's request, he redid the boards that were wholly unacceptable. And had them finished and perfect within only an hour of seeing them. So now, Mr Kinney has promoted him,"

 

"What the fuck is this shit?!" Laura slammed her sketch pad down on the table, startling everyone at the meeting. "How could some position be created within Kinnetik for an unknown wannabe when the rest of us have been working our asses off here for years?"

 

Murph rolled his eyes at her outburst. When Laura said ‘us' she was really talking about herself. In her mind, she should have advanced far enough to have his job, which, in lieu of the mediocre work she produced, was absolute bullshit. "Look, I know that you are upset, Laura. But the fact remains that Mr. Kinney has made his decision, as is his right as the owner of the company. And unlike all of you, Mr. Taylor has the ability to sketch on the fly. You, as well as the rest of us- myself included- prefer to have time to develop our ideas into a comprehensive presentation. Justin has the same capabilities we all have, but with that something extra which will continue to advance Kinnetik as a leader in the industry.

 

"Now if any... and I mean ANY of you have a problem with how management has decided to utilize Justin Taylor's talents, then I will happily call security to have you escorted from the building, and your severance check will be mailed to you. This particular discussion is over!" Murph announced.

 

He watched with satisfaction as many of the staff sunk down into their chairs, never having heard their low-keyed Art Director raise his voice in anger. But Laura Wright was just as determined to make her point. "You don't have the authority to fire any of us. If you did, you would have utilized it by now. So stop with the theatrics, and tell me when the meeting for my campaign is,"

 

Murph smiled at the haughty tone emitting from the mouth that never shut the fuck up. With Laura it was always some complaint or argument, in which she thought that if she whined enough or yelled, she would automatically get her way. As far as he was concerned, this was a distinct disadvantage to being in an upper-class family, even if she hadn't been born into it. They felt that everything should be handed to them on a silver fucking platter! Well, he would now take great pleasure in disabusing her notions of entitlement.

 

"You don't have to worry about that meeting Laura, or the meeting with the Bartiers. You deliberately did what you wanted to do on a campaign worth millions. Using your mediocre designs could have cost us that very lucrative contract. So Brian had the campaign redone in its entirety. That is what got Justin Taylor promoted. And Justin will also be doing the artwork for Bartier Modular Homes."

 

"What are you talking about?! I brought the Bartiers into this company! Without my endorsement, Kinnetik wouldn't even be a blip on their radar,"

 

"Whatever your thoughts and opinions about your own self-importance, they have no bearing on the fact that you're out. Had you followed the specific instructions on the campaign, this conversation either wouldn't be happening, nor would it be a moot point. Our Executive Artistic Liaison will be sitting in on that meeting because he actually did the artwork, using the specs given and he made it much better than your ‘original' design. Any further issue and you can take it up with the Boss. I warn you though... while you are meeting with Brian, I will be having your things packed and they will be waiting for you at the security desk when you are finished. I will also make sure to have every code and low-level clearance you have within the database wiped clean. Am I understood, Laura?"

 

Murph watched her as she weighed her options carefully. He knew all about her supposed influence with the Bartier family. She was the fiance of their son and heir. But there was also another piece of that puzzle which she didn't think anyone knew. While she was keeping Glenn Bartier at bay, lauding that she was a virgin and wanted to wait until marriage to have sex, she was fucking up a storm with his father, Harlan. If she wasn't careful, that bit of news could destroy all her dreams and schemes to improve her own status within the WASP nest. He knew when she had reached the same conclusions that he had. 

 

"Yeah Murph, you're understood. But this isn't over," Laura sneered. And to her, it wasn't. She would find out everything she could about this Justin Taylor, and then little-by-little discredit him. There is no way he's... no that's not possible, or is it? she thought. But no matter, by the time she was through with him, no one would even allow him to sell bubblegum for a living! In the meantime, it was in her best interest to keep quiet, but most of all, be watchful. Yes...Blondie's days at the top are certainly numbered.

 

********************************

 

By Tuesday morning, Michael was at his wits end. Every single thing he had tried to get in touch with Brian had been for nothing! Michael had even gone so far as to lean on the buzzer of a stranger's door in an effort to be let into the building. He really missed the days when there was an actual physical key, which would afford him unlimited access to Brian's loft regardless of whether he was home or not. He fondly remembered the days of walking into Brian's loft and waiting for many minutes while watching him finish off a trick; remembered his own body's response to seeing and hearing the free porno in the form of Brian Kinney's sex life.

 

But more than that, he missed being able to come and go as he pleased, missed being a part of Brian's everyday existence. Sure, Michael had moved on from Liberty Avenue and all its limitations, or fanciful notions of freedom to be gay without reservation. Being in a different area- a more affluent neighborhood of fellow LGBT people- had shown Michael that the world was bigger than Liberty Avenue, and that the place where he grew up was a hinderance to their cause of equality as a whole. Liberty Avenue was just about celebrating the stereotypes that all heteros thought of gays. Nevermind that his own mother had grown up in an era where ‘free love' was lauded, regardless of the gender.

 

That wasn't what was important. According to Tannis, Monty, Eli, and a new member of their group, gay people had to be better than the stereotypes. They had to work harder, and play less. They had to fight for their rights, while denying what society has labeled them as. Michael believed them, and he wanted to share all of his newfound ‘enlightenment' with his best friend.

 

But Brian was always too busy- or so it seemed.

 

There were many times that Brian had insulted his new friends, calling them pretentious and anal-retentive, or the ‘happy homos with a hard-on for heteronormative ideals'. In other words, Brian was being his normal sarcastic self while in the presence of powerful people. And the others, including his own mother, had agreed with Brian. They just didn't understand why Michael had wanted to become a part of their group so badly that he started changing to suit them... or so he had been told. But Michael didn't see it that way.

 

He saw it as him and Ben moving toward the future they wanted. Making the right connections that would enhance their lives and Ben's career. Finally, he had friends, and even though most of the issues they talked about went over his head sometimes, they still tried to include him. It was just what Michael had needed when he and Ben had decided that Liberty Avenue couldn't be their home any longer. Based on Brian's point of view, it was Michael who had made the decision to stop inviting his old friends to mix with his new friends. It was obvious that they all didn't get along, and Brian didn't even try to pretend for Michael's sake.

 

In turn, life on Liberty Avenue had seemed to go on without him, as well. They never really called him to go out with them, or to see how he was doing anymore. Granted, he was busy a lot when they would call, having a dinner party to give or to go to, or being active with some fundraiser or another. There were also faculty functions that Ben had that Michael needed to be a part of as Ben's partner. He really was busy, but he never thought that he and Brian would lose touch. Michael still expected Brian to be there whenever he wanted to go out, and it annoyed him to no end when he wasn't. He missed his best friend!

 

Originally, Michael had thought that Brian would fit in nicely with the group of successful and educated gays Ben had introduced him to. When Michael had brought it up to Brian, Kinnetik was still pretty much a start-up company, and from Michael's perspective wasn't making much money. Also, Brian's lifestyle choices were not the best in Michael's eyes, and he thought that the best way to lure Brian into the fold was to set him up on a few dates with the affluent men he was meeting through Ben. There were two that Michael thought would have been perfect for Brian, if only he would give them a chance. In Michael's mind, he could have the best of both worlds.

 

He wouldn't have to sacrifice his friendship with Brian if the man would change and grow up. Brian had told Michael to stop trying to run his life when he wasn't even running his own; Ben was. Of course, Michael thought that Brian was kidding and decided that if he could lead by example, Brian would follow suit so that they could remain friends. All Brian needed was guidance, and Michael could give him that, at least that's what Monty and Eli had told him. Tannis told Michael that he was better off ditching the likes of Brian Kinney regardless of the man's financial success.

 

To her, Brian was still an embarrassment to the gay community, and should be shunned as such. Michael decided to keep trying, deciding that Tannis didn't really know Brian, so she couldn't see what an asset he would be to have on their side of gay rights. He had also hoped that by returning to Liberty Avenue occasionally, and modeling the way gays were supposed to act in public, would have made Brian want to emulate him and Ben. He envisioned that it would cause his best friend to desire to finally fit in, instead of standing out all the time. But first, he had to actually find Brian and then talk with him to make him see what he had decided was the best for him.

 

Michael rang the bell at Mel and Lindsay's, hoping they were home and would know something about why Brian had been acting differently. Brian hardly wanted to go out to Woody's and Babylon lately... well, that is, when Michael had decided he had time to go. Then there was the situation that when Michael went by the loft on several occasions, Brian was either not at home, or he just didn't answer the bell. He had tried the first floor apartment a few times, but the guy who answered had refused to let him into the building. No one answered any of the other bells.

 

"Michael, what are you doing here?" Lindsay questioned.

 

"I wanted to know if you've talked to Brian recently? I know he has been to the club a few times, because I've asked the bartenders. But lately when I call to tell him I want to go out, he either doesn't answer his phone, or the door, or he says he's busy with work. Then I've gone by the loft and he's not there. The only one who ever answers the bell is whoever lives on the first floor, and he refuses to let me into the building. I have to find a way to get the code to get into the building. I don't know why the owner changed it from a regular lock."

 

"Well, how about we head over there Saturday? If Brian doesn't answer, maybe I can get whoever it is to let me in. Or at least, maybe we'll be able to find out something about where Brian has been. Does he still head to the gym on Saturdays?" Lindsay asked.

 

"Yeah, that he always does,"


"Okay, I'll borrow a car and wait near the loft. If he goes out, I'll follow him. If not, then we'll get him to answer the door,"  

 

 

Chapter 4 by Lorie

The next morning at Kinnetik-

 

The first applicant answered all of Justin's questions while staring at Cynthia's chest. He never even tried to hide where he was looking and never once looked at her face or even glanced at Justin at all.

 

The second prospective employee was a girl just out of high school and she practically drooled while staring at Justin. She sat there with a besotted expression and had to be asked questions several times before she could answer them.

 

The third person only wanted to work part-time and she wanted to make her own hours.

 

Number four came in listening to her iPod and kept one earbud in during the entire interview, answering most questions with "uh-huh" or "nah".

 

Candidate number five said if he got the job he would only keep it until his parents got off his back about not working.

 

Justin was wondering if he would ever find anyone even passable for the job. There was only one more person scheduled, but he needed a quick break. He turned to Cynthia before standing and turning towards the door. "If they don't get any better than this, I hope you know how to clone yourself. I'll be right back," Justin said as he headed to the men's room.

 

Daphne Chanders was a nervous wreck by the time she arrived at Kinnetik that morning after being called late the night before. That, in and of itself, was a miracle. She wasn't sure that she would get hired, but anything that she could do to keep herself within these elegant walls, she would do. It would sure beat working at the bar as a waitress, constantly being groped for shitty tips just to make ends meet. Usually an eternal optimist, Daphne had recently begun to regret her life choices since leaving high school, and subsequently, her parents' house.

 

They had pulled the as long as you live in our house, you'll do what we say to do card. In light of what had happened to her best friend, she just couldn't abide that, paid-for-education or not. So, packing her belongings, she lived in her car for a few weeks before obtaining a really low-paying job in a restaurant. The only good thing about the job, at the time, was that there was a room above the storage area of the restaurant that was for rent. Even if it was in a less than stellar area, she only had to go up the stairs after getting out of work.

 

Making a deal with her boss, she arranged for the rental fee to come directly out of her paycheck, then moved into the shoebox-size apartment the day before starting work. Things were working out great, at first. Daphne would work at the restaurant during the day, supplementing her income by waitressing or bartending there at night. She had three goals in mind and stuck with them constantly: make money to live, save money to go to college, and spend money to find her best friend. Daphne didn't believe one word from Craig Taylor's lying lips when he started the molestation rumors to justify ousting Justin from his family and his home.

 

Daphne was the only one who knew that Justin was gay, with the exception of Jim. And he'd confirmed her suspicions when the day after Justin disappeared Daphne cornered the boy Justin had a major crush on. Craig Taylor had unceremoniously dumped Justin, and in the process saved his rotten ass from divorce court. When Daphne had approached Justin's mother with the truth of the matter, Jen had told the young woman that she couldn't afford to leave until after she'd found a way to support herself and Molly. They both knew that Craig would try to pay as little as possible in child support, and she had to think of her children.

 

Like Daphne, Jen also didn't believe what Craig had said about Justin. Her son was many things, but never that! But she still had to keep her mouth shut and bide her time, all the while praying for her son's safety. She was sure her beautiful son was gay, even though he had never told her and she never had the nerve to ask. She often remarked to Daphne that she wished she'd asked for the confirmation before Craig had the opportunity to do this to her son.

 

For Daphne's part, she knew that somehow and someday, she would find a way to get even with Craig on Justin's behalf. But first, she needed to find her best friend! Justin had called her once, the day after he was thrown out. He told her he would be okay, and that he loved her. He had also advised her not to try to find him; that Craig was having everyone he might have contacted watched. Then the line went dead.

 

Daphne was sent into the interview before Justin had returned. After the introductions were made, Cynthia began asking general questions, telling her that the other interviewer would return momentarily. They were discussing the duties of the job when Justin walked in.

 

"OH MY GOD, Daph!!" Justin practically screamed.

 

"JUS!" Daphne yelled, as she suddenly jumped up from her seat, and the two began crying and hugging.

 

"So, I take it you two have already met?" Cynthia said, smiling.

 

"Cynthia, Daphne and I have been friends since before preschool. She's my best friend and we haven't seen each other in over a year," Justin responded, still holding onto one of the people he missed most in the world.

 

Smiling at the two friends, Cynthia addressed the pair. "Daphne, could you wait outside for a moment while I talk to Justin?"

 

"Sure. But don't disappear, Justin, we have to talk," she told him as she left the room.

 

"Justin, do you think she can do the job?"

 

"Before I left school, I was first in the class and she was second. I don't know how much Brian has told you about me, but part of it is that I was thrown out of my house for being gay and threatened not to contact anyone that my family knew. That's why I haven't talked to her since I left home. I would love to work with her! She's smart, she gets me, and she learns very quickly," Justin told Cynthia sincerely.

 

"Well then, go let your new assistant in here and let me start training her," Cynthia told Justin with a smile.

 

Smiling, Justin went over to the door and asked Daphne to come back in.

 

"You're hired. You'll work with Cynthia to learn the ropes. She's the best." Justin said, hugging his best friend.

 

"Justin, before we start you need to take her down to Ted, so he can get her paperwork started. Then you two should go to lunch to catch up a little," Cynthia told the happy pair, who readily agreed with her suggestions.

 

Brian finished with his last meeting and headed to his office, hoping that the interviews would be done, at least for the day, so he could do some work and return phone calls. Coming around the corner toward his office, he saw Cynthia sitting at her desk.

 

"Interviews are done for the day?" Brian asked as he headed for his office. She followed him in and shut the door.

 

"Is everything alright, Cynthia?" Brian asked, concerned. She didn't normally close the door just to answer a question, so there must be something on her mind.

 

"To answer your first question, yes. Justin found an assistant who seems just perfect for him. It's his best friend, who he hasn't seen or spoken to in over a year," Cynthia said, watching for Brian's reaction to her last statement. One thing she knew about her boss and friend, he usually knew more about things than he would let on. And there it was. It was just a quick flash but she saw it, confirming that he did know something about what Justin had told her only part of earlier.

 

"Brian?"

 

"Cynthia, remember several months ago when I told you about the kid who gave me back my wallet and dissed Michael with his comment?"

 

"The one that said ‘I might hustle, but I'm not a thief'? Yeah, I remember. You mean... it was Justin?"

 

"Yeah, it was Justin,"

 

"Oh, so that's what he meant. He told me that when he was thrown out of his house, he was told not to contact anyone his family knew. The poor kid, how did he survive...? Nevermind, don't answer that! I don't even want to think about what he has been through. Well, I'm glad he's here now, and you should have seen his face when he saw Daphne. Between the tears and the smile, I didn't know whether to cry or find my sunglasses,"

 

"Where are they now?"

 

"I sent them to Ted for the paperwork, then told them after they were done there, they should go to lunch,"

 

Justin was waiting with Daphne while she finished up with Ted when his phone signaled that he had an incoming message. Turning around Justin opened the message:

 

Take the rest of the day off. Show Daphne your apartment, and relax. Glad you found each other again. B.

 

Ted welcomed Daphne and asked her when she was starting. Not knowing the answer, she looked at Justin and raised an eyebrow. He had been reading the message from Brian, not really paying attention to Ted and Daphne.

 

"Huh, what did you ask? Sorry, I was just checking a message,"

 

"I was asking Daphne when she starts, and she needs her boss to answer the question," Ted supplied, smiling. He knew there were very few people that had Justin's new cell number, and he was busy, as he was sure Cynthia was, that only left Brian. At Justin's continually confused look, Ted clarified, "That's you, Justin,"

 

"Oh yeah. Um... tomorrow's fine. Apparently, we have been given the rest of the day off," Justin explained, showing Daphne the text from the top boss.

 

"One more thing you two need to do today, Justin. Please take Daphne and get her a company phone. I'll call ahead to get it all arranged," Ted told the excited twosome before they left for the day. Ted had asked Daphne about her phone, and she had told him that she only had a cheap little prepaid phone, which was all she could afford at the moment. He had explained to her that as Justin's assistant, she would get a company-paid-for smartphone.

 

On the way out of the building, Justin and Daphne ran into Brian, who was standing outside having a smoke. Justin smiled at his boss, not wanting to bother him on his break. Brian just shook his head and walked over to the pair. When Brian stopped in front of his two newest employees, Justin introduced them.

 

"Brian, this is Daphne Chanders, my new assistant. Daphne, Brian Kinney, owner of Kinnetik,"

 

Brian reached out his hand. "Welcome to Kinnetik, Daphne. I hope you'll enjoy it here,"

 

"Thank you. I'm sure I will, Sir. I'm just happy to have found Justin again. And your offices are amazing,"

 

"Thank you. Just call me Brian. You two sure are polite. Justin, you should show her your apartment. That way the next time your bell rings, maybe you'll know the person on the other side," Brian told them with a smirk as he headed back into the building.

 

"Where do you live anyway, Justin? I hope it's safe and not some dump," Daphne told her best friend, happy that she had found him and wanting to know what he had been doing this past year.

 

"We'll go there as soon as we pick up your phone. It doesn't look like much from the outside but believe me, it's not a bad place. Do you have a car?"

 

"Yes. The car was mine, so I took it when I left," Daphne told him, leading him to her car, which was parked on the corner.

 

After they picked up Daphne's new phone she drove them to the apartment, directed by Justin. Parking outside the building, Daphne looked around, hoping that it looked better on the inside. Once inside the building, she noticed that it was at least clean. Justin unlocked the door and stood back, letting her enter first. She stepped inside and looked around in shock.

 

"Oh my God, Justin! This place is a fucking dream palace!"

 

"You don't know the half of it, Daph. Let me show you around," Justin proceeded to give his best friend the grand tour of the apartment. Once they were done, Justin got them sodas out of the fridge and they went to the sofa, where he knew he needed to be honest with her about the last year of his life. He proceeded to tell her what had happened to him, beginning with the day Craig had caught him kissing his boyfriend and had given him fifteen minutes before throwing him out in the street. His story ended with him being hired at Kinnetik only the week before, as a gopher, and then being promoted to his new position at the end of his first week when he saved Brian's account that had been fucked up by one of the art department employees.

 

She had been very upset when Justin told her what he'd had to do to survive. She knew that she would be forever grateful to Brian for rescuing her best friend from the streets. She agreed with Justin's assessment, that Brian Kinney had probably saved his life. "Well, he definitely saved my ass, in more ways than one," Justin told her with a smirk.

 

"But Justin, how did you afford this palace?"

 

"Well, the day I applied at Kinnetik, Brian saw me filling out the application and realized where he recognized me from, and that I likely had nowhere to live since he saw me just staring at the application after I wrote my name. So he sent me to Ted with a note. After I finished up with my paperwork, I was given the code and the key and sent here. When I first looked around, I called Ted to make sure I was in the right place. I don't have to pay rent for the first three months; the furniture and everything else, including utilities, comes with the apartment, and the cleaning lady comes once a week. She cleans everything and does the laundry. When I asked how much it would be I was told that I would be able to afford it. I found out just a few days ago that Brian actually owns the building. He and I are the only ones who live here. He lives on the top floor,"

 

The friends called out for pizza while continuing to hang out and talk for the next few hours. Daphne finally decided to get going so she could get some rest to be ready for her first day as Justin's assistant. She was looking forward to being able to save up some money, hoping to get a better place. Since finding Justin, she knew she would at least have enough now to put down security for an apartment, since the money that had been set aside to help locate him was no longer needed. She had carefully avoided telling Justin exactly where it was she lived, changing the subject each time he asked.

 

The following morning Daphne was already waiting in her car next to the building when Brian showed up at Kinnetik. Because of where she lived, she liked to leave the area before the locals finally headed home for their all-day sleep. She was sitting in her car, engrossed in a book, when someone knocked on her window. Startled, she threw the book over her shoulder into the back seat.

 

"Ahhh. What the fuck?!" she screamed, and then looked sheepishly at her boss. "Sorry,"

 

"Don't be. I'm sorry, Daphne," Brian chuckled. "I didn't mean to startle you. What are you doing here so early anyway?"

 

"Oh, well I was awake and so I just figured I'd come in early to see if anyone else was here, so I could get started,"

 

"Well come on inside. One of your new boss' purchases came in yesterday after you two had left. We can be the first to try it out," Brian told Daphne, unlocking the doors and leading her into Justin's almost completed space and over to the new pod coffee maker he had ordered. Thankfully, he had thought to order coffee for the machine. Going into the kitchen, they found cups with lids, sugar, and cream. Daphne washed out the new machine while Brian got everything set up, so they could have coffee to get their day started. By the time Cynthia and Justin arrived at work, Brian and Daphne were talking, laughing, and enjoying their second cup of coffee.

 

Cynthia was the first to speak, "Are you two having fun yet?" she asked the pair, who were sitting on the sofa, giggling. Daphne was telling Brian stories about her and Justin's antics from when they were little.

 

Justin noticed the smell of fresh coffee and hurried to his office. "The coffee maker came, yes! Hey Cynthia, do you want some coffee?" He offered Brian's assistant, who was presently being ignored by the occupants of the sofa while they finished their conversation.

 

"Sure, Justin. Might as well, since they are still talking about you, I think. Did you really drag your teddy bear to preschool with you every day?"

 

"DAPHNE!!" was Justin's answer to Cynthia's question, causing Cynthia to try to suppress a giggle.

 

After everyone was finished with their coffee and stories while most of the rest of the staff was coming in, Brian suggested that Justin show Daphne around so she would be familiar with the layout and the staff. While they were wandering, Ted came to Brian's office. Asking Cynthia to come in as well, he closed the door.

 

"Brian, not that I want to be in anyone's business, but when I was entering Daphne's file into the computer... well, let me show you where she lives," Ted told them while pulling up Daphne's file and a Google street map of Pittsburgh.

 

Brian looked at his old neighborhood with something akin to horror. Although the area used to be known as the neighborhood of the working class poor, in recent years it had become even more run-down than he remembered. As Ted navigated the Google Earth app to show a close-up of the neighborhood, Brian spotted every single place he remembered passing along on his way to school each day. The old Senior Citizens building looked to have had a fire; the once-glistening windows now graffiti-decorated boards. The park that he used to escape to prior to meeting Michael was not only devoid of the benches that he remembered, but the basketball hoops, swings, and other accouterments which had defined the space were notably missing.

 

He remembered hearing some years ago that the city was looking to restore the neighborhood to its former glory, but the developers that they had hired went bankrupt. By the time the talks were happening again, the area had become the tragic dwelling that was displayed on the computer screen. The area made Vaseline Tower look like the Four Seasons by comparison. Thanks to the wave of technology and satellites, which showed way more than they ought in real-time, Brian ordered Ted to shut the screen down before they continued to witness the drug deal which was already in progress.

 

"Oh shit. That's probably why she was here waiting in the parking lot when I got here this morning. I wouldn't even let a stray dog run free in that neighborhood... and I don't even like the fuckers. I wonder why Justin didn't say anything about it," Brian questioned.

 

"Brian, I don't think Justin knows where she lives. In fact, every time he started to ask her yesterday, she would change the subject," Cynthia told the men.

 

"What are we going to do? I'd rather not move her into my building. I really don't want to start running a boarding house for teenagers," Brian told the pair.

 

"First, Brian, they aren't teenagers in the normal sense. In fact, I think they are more grown-up than half the people we know, and that includes some ‘adults' about the same age as we are, or older. Secondly, I have an empty one-bedroom in my building. The man that was renting it decided he wanted to buy a house with a yard, instead of a condo. He moved out last week. The place has already been cleaned and repainted. She can move in immediately," Ted answered.

 

"That's great, Ted. If she needs furniture, we'll do it as a sign-on bonus. I don't want her somewhere unsafe. It's bad enough that Justin had to live from pillar to post, but that... that's just something that is unacceptable, considering their upbringing. I remember not being able to wait to get out of there myself, and that was way before the old neighborhood had turned into the shithole it is now. Let's talk to her now. Then we can get some leather bears from the gym to get her moved out right away,"

 

By the time Justin and Daphne had returned from the tour, Ted had already called the gym to arrange for available bears for their assistance. Then he and Brian had called Emmett at the furniture store he managed to see what was available immediately if Daphne needed furniture. Justin and Daphne stopped at Cynthia's desk to see if she had time to start training Daphne.

 

"I think Brian wants to see you two in his office first." At their worried looks, Cynthia clarified, "It's nothing bad. In fact, I think you will both be pleased," Relieved, they knocked on Brian's door and were told to come in.

 

"Hey, you two. Daphne, we were wondering how much furniture you have?" Brian questioned. At her confused look, he explained, "We like our employees to be safe. There is an empty apartment in the building Ted owns. You can either rent or you can buy it, no money down. If you want to buy it, I'll hold the mortgage so you don't have to worry about credit scores or anything like that. We'd like to get you moved right away, as in today. If you need furniture, we have a friend who manages a furniture store on Liberty Avenue and you can get anything you need there. It will be a sign-on bonus,"

 

"Daphne, where are you living?" Justin asked, annoyed when he realized that she had avoided telling him yesterday and knowing it had to be bad for Brian to be in this much of a rush to get her moved.

 

She answered him reluctantly and then said that it was all she could afford. Justin looked upset, wishing he had known last night when she left that she was heading somewhere unsafe.

 

Brian spoke up first. "Well, you're not going back there alone. Justin, go with her and help her pack up anything that she wants. I'll have the bears go with you two, and they will take everything to the new place. Here's a company credit card. Go to Emmett's store and get new furniture. Make sure you can at least get a bed delivered today, then get whatever else you need. And I mean get everything you need. Don't worry about the cost, we'll work it out later," Brian told the stunned pair. "Try to get it all done today. We really do need you two to start working here soon. Oh yeah, go to Ted's office and get the keys to your new place. You should probably stop there first, so you know sizes and what you want to get for the apartment."

 

Justin and Daphne stood there in shock, until Daphne burst into tears, not sure what to say. Justin smiled one of his amazing sunshine smiles. "Thank you, Brian," he said for both of them while embracing Daphne as she cried what he knew to be tears of relief.

 

Brian shifted from foot-to-foot, uncomfortable with gratitude for what he considered simple human decency. Gruffly he said, "Just get going. Spend whatever you need to, don't worry about it," He headed towards his desk to start returning phone calls, surreptitiously watching as the two young adults all but ran from the office.

 

Daphne found all the furniture she needed at Emmett's store. Walking into the store she had found an eclectic assortment of furniture and a flaming queen that would become a good friend. Several hours later, Justin and Daphne were sitting in her new apartment. All the furniture would be delivered a little later, as soon as the bears got it loaded onto the truck. Justin and Daphne had also bought sheets, towels, and basic kitchen things. Daphne decided that she would slowly get the things she really wanted. She did not want to take advantage of her boss' generosity any more than she already had. She could hardly believe her good fortune at not only finding Justin but being lucky enough to find a job and a safe place to live all within the space of a couple of days.

 

Justin headed back to work while Daphne stayed at the apartment to wait for her delivery. When Justin got to Kinnetik he headed straight for Brian's office. Knocking on the door, he was invited in.

 

"Brian, I just want to thank you for what you did for Daphne. You are amazing, and one of the most generous people I have ever met. If you're not busy tonight, I'd really like to cook you dinner," Justin said as he handed Brian all the receipts and the credit card.

 

"You're welcome, Justin. And thank you for the compliment. I just like to make sure my employees are safe. Seeing as I have no plans tonight, what's for dinner?"

 

"Salmon fillets, salad, and grilled vegetables, how's that sound?" Answered the smiling blond.

 

"It sounds like we should be out of here by six, so we can eat," Brian answered smiling back.

 

True to his word, Brian was packed up and ready to leave at six. As he walked out of his office, Justin was just locking his door. They exchanged smiles and walked to the jeep. When they reached the loft building, Brian again parked in the back. Justin took this to mean that Brian did not want everyone- meaning his ‘friends'- to know he was home. Once inside the building, Justin headed for his apartment while Brian went upstairs to change. After spending all day in a suit, he liked to be comfortable... and barefoot. Justin left the door open and fifteen minutes later, a quickly showered Brian was walking in wearing a tight black tanktop and well-worn jeans. Justin had quickly changed and was rinsing the fish so he could season it.

 

"Is there anything I can do to help? I'm not good at cooking, but I do know how to use a knife," Brian offered.

 

"Sure, everything is washed for the salad. If you want to cut everything up and put it into a bowl, that would be great," Justin answered.

 

Brian did as requested while watching Justin lay the salmon out in a buttered pan and squeeze fresh lemon over it. Then he put fresh ground pepper on it and chopped up some fresh dill to put on top. He put it in the oven and set the timer. He turned on the stovetop grill to heat while he sliced zucchini and broccoli, then carefully washed the asparagus spears. Grabbing an unmarked jar of mixed spices, Justin seasoned the vegetables just before placing them on the grill. Brian had finished putting together the salad and watched with interest as Justin worked at the grill. Grabbing fresh herbs, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar, Justin whisked together a fresh dressing for the salad. When the timer went off, Justin pulled out the fish, plated the vegetables and set everything on the table. Brian had put out plates and utensils while watching Justin seemingly effortlessly make a meal.

 

Sitting down, Justin waited for Brian to taste his food.

 

"Justin, this is amazing. You make it look effortless, and yet it is so delicious,"

 

"Thank you, Sir. I love to cook and it's great to have someone to cook for besides myself. If there is anything you really like to eat just let me know, and I'll make it for you," 

 

"Well don't forget you are going to try to recreate that cheesecake this weekend," Brian reminded him. "Are you still up for the challenge?"

 

"I'm definitely up for that challenge, Boss," Justin declared. "I'll make something light for dinner since I know you like to watch what you eat. How about Chicken Caesar Salad?"

 

"Sounds perfect, especially if you make the dressing fresh like you did tonight. This is great," Brian commented.

 

Justin beamed at the praise. He wasn't used to being complimented so genuinely about his talents. He knew Brian was a very honest man and was not one to ‘blow smoke'. He only gave compliments when they were truly deserved.

 

After dinner, they sat and talked about the new art programs that had been ordered for the computers, and what they could do. Justin had already installed them on the computer Brian had given him. Justin pulled up a few mock ads he had been playing with, so he could refine what he needed to do. Brian was impressed and even more thankful that he had Justin working for him. He also asked Justin if he wanted to go to school, telling him about Kinnetik's policy of paying for classes related to the job.

 

"I would like to go to school, Brian. But more than that, I want to work. I also need to get my GED before I could take classes. My father signed me out of school with only a month left, so I couldn't even get my diploma."

 

"Let me look into that for you, Justin. Maybe there is something that can be done about it. If you don't want to go to college right away, you could always take some online classes. That way you could do them at your own pace, and get rid of the basic classes so you only have to do some classes at a school. Whatever you need, we can work around a school schedule. Don't misunderstand. In no way am I saying that you must have a degree in order to do or keep your job, but it's just a good thing to have in case you want to go work somewhere else, which I'm hoping you never do,"

 

Brian didn't want Justin to be concerned that not having a degree would affect his job. He was determined to not ever let go of Justin. He was also starting to think that maybe he would like the blond around for more than just work. And he wasn't just thinking of a quick fuck either. They got along well and Justin was certainly intelligent enough to challenge him, unlike a lot of the other people in his life. Justin also seemed to be very loyal, trustworthy, and unwilling to take handouts- another thing that made him different than most other people Brian knew. The young man was determined to work for what he wanted and earn his money.

 

All too soon, it was time to say goodnight so they could be fresh for the morning. Justin would be meeting with the Art Department early in the morning to introduce them to the new programs they would be using. Brian had two initial meetings with prospective clients. He had arranged the meetings so that Justin could sit in and take notes on any ideas he got for the ads, based on what the clients wanted.

 

"Meet me at the jeep at eight, Justin. You have the Art Department meeting at eight-thirty. You don't want to be late. Some of them will probably already be bitching about having to come in early twice in the same week," Brian told him as he got up to leave. When Justin started to protest, Brian just put up his hand, "Just do it, please,"

 

"Okay Boss, and thank you,"

 

"You're welcome. And dinner was spectacular. You'll have a lot to live up to on Saturday," Brian told him with a smirk as he slipped out the door.

 

Justin contemplated his recent interactions with his boss. Certainly, he was attracted to the older man. Who wouldn't be? Brian Kinney was gorgeous! And Brian also seemed to be at least slightly interested in him too.

 

He remembered back to the day he had applied at Kinnetik. When he had shaken Brian's hand, he had definitely felt something... something that he could only describe as a jolt. Had Brian felt it too? He wondered. Well, Justin decided, if something was going to happen between them he would wait for Brian to make the first move. The last thing he wanted to do was to look like he was coming on to the man, possibly like he was trying to get ahead by sleeping with the boss. If all they ever were was friends, that would be fine too. Brian was smart, interesting, and fun to hang out with. Justin would leave things up to fate.        

 

The next couple of days at Kinnetik were busy. There were meetings, preliminary sketches on the boards for new accounts, and instructing the Art Department on the new software, which most of them seemed very excited about, except for one of the artists. Justin was pretty sure she was the one who had screwed up the boards that had landed Justin in his dream job, so he really didn't care how she felt about anything.

 

Friday after work Justin picked up everything he would need for dinner and dessert on Saturday. He decided that he would also make a fresh strawberry sauce to accompany the cheesecake. He had checked with Cynthia to make sure Brian wasn't allergic to anything. He wanted to surprise him, but only in the best of ways. Justin knew that Brian went to the gym every Saturday morning, after meeting his friends at the Liberty Diner. Justin had told Brian to come by anytime. As he was going to have most of the meal done by the middle of the day, he and Brian could always play games. They both loved trivia games, were very competitive, and pretty evenly matched.  

 

Justin had gotten up when he heard the elevator, signaling that Brian was leaving that morning. He made the cheesecake first. He wanted it to be perfect and made sure he would have time to make a second one if this one didn't come out right. While it baked, he made the strawberry sauce, while saving a bunch of beautiful ripe strawberries for garnish. The cheesecake had come out perfectly. Justin had made a small one at the same time, to check for taste and texture. He washed and dried everything for the salad, then got it ready. He marinated the chicken breasts which would be grilled just before they ate, and he also made sure he had some wine chilled. When everything was ready, Justin decided he would see if he could do some work on the upcoming ads to show Brian later.

 

At about three o'clock there was a knock on Justin's door. He got up to answer it and saw Brian with his hands full. He had Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and a binder.

 

"I figured you could try and show off how smart you are, Blondie. We have games, and the binder has copies of the New York Times crossword puzzles. There are two copies of each one, so we can go head to head and see who is faster," Brian told a giggling Justin.

 

"You're on, Boss. I should warn you though, I got 1500 on my SAT," Justin bragged.

 

"Damn, Justin. You could have gone anywhere with a score like that," Brian said in awe.

 

"Yeah," Justin answered, looking down. Brian mentally kicked himself for putting that look on the blond's face.

 

Chapter 5 by Nichelle Wellesly

CHAPTER 5

 

"Hey, I'm sorry. Things will only get better for you now,"

 

"It's okay, Brian. Since the day I walked into your offices, my whole life has turned around. And it's because you were willing to take a chance on me; I'll always be grateful for that," Justin said with his trademark smile. "So, do you want to play something first, or are you hungry? All I have to do is grill the chicken breast, everything else is ready."

 

"Even the cheesecake?"

 

"Chilling in the fridge,"

 

"It's early, let's do a crossword first,"

 

Thirty minutes later, they were finished with their first crossword. Brian had missed two, and so had Justin. They had each missed different words. Together the crossword was complete.

 

"Well I guess that means together we are unstoppable," Brian told the younger man, causing Justin to blush, which Brian thought to himself was adorable. Something he certainly wouldn't say aloud.

 

"Brian, I did some preliminary work-ups for the new ads. You can look at them on the computer while I grill the chicken, if you'd like,"

 

Brian looked over Justin's work carefully while the blond grilled the chicken that he had marinated. Brian was very impressed! There were only minor changes needed. He grabbed a pad of paper and a pen, making notes on the changes he wanted. By the time he was finished, Justin was slicing the chicken up to put onto the salad. While they ate, they talked about the new accounts that had been signed and other accounts Brian would like to go after.

 

Dinner was great, and Brian was again very pleased with Justin's culinary ability. "Well dinner was delicious, but we still need to see how well you did with the dessert," Brian teased.

 

Taking their coffee and cheesecake to the sofa, they each sat down. Justin watched nervously as Brian took his first bite, hoping he would like it. Justin wasn't sure why, but somehow it was important to him that Brian enjoyed this dessert.

 

Brian smiled the biggest smile Justin had ever seen on the man. "Justin, this is the absolute best thing I have ever put in my mouth,"

 

Justin's responding smile could have lit up a city during a blackout. He tasted the cheesecake and agreed with Brian. It was amazing. Justin then remembered the strawberry sauce he had made and went to the fridge to get it. They both added some and decided that it made it even better.

 

As they were enjoying their dessert, Justin's buzzer rang.

 

"Daphne?" asked Brian.

 

"No. Since she loves her new place so much and the neighborhood is safe, she was having a slumber party with some friends. I think she even invited Emmett,"

 

"Well, he's probably the girliest one there,"

 

Now, whomever was pressing the buzzer decided to just lean on it. Getting up, Justin pushed the button for the intercom.

 

"Yes?"

 

A female voice answered, "Hello, I'm looking for Brian Kinney,"

 

"Well, that's not me, as it clearly states on the bell you are ringing," Justin said, glancing at Brian, and can see by the look on his face that he is not happy, and that he knows who this person is. Well, Justin decided, he will just put on his ‘uppity manners' and get rid of this person like he did the whiny man from the other night.

 

"I tried his bell, but he's not answering," The voice stated.

 

"Do you know how to use a phone?" Justin asked.

 

"Of course, I do," Lindsay snottily answered.

 

"Well then here's a thought, call him. If he wants to talk to you, he will answer," Justin answered in the same WASPy tone.

 

"I just want to know if he's home. I haven't seen him leave since he went inside earlier,"

 

What the hell? Was this one a stalker?

 

"If he didn't answer, then he's either not home or he doesn't want to be bothered,"

 

"Well, you need to go up there, knock on his door and find out if he's home. If he's there, tell him Lindsay is waiting to be let up,"

 

"No, I need to go back to what I was doing before you interrupted me, Lindsay," He sneered her name, before continuing in the same tone. "I am not a butler, nor an answering service. And if you ring my bell again, I will call the police and have you charged with harassment,"

 

"Well I never..."

 

"Try it sometime. Maybe then you won't feel the need to harass people,"

 

Sitting back down on the sofa, Justin told his boss, "You really do have some annoying friends, Brian,"

 

Brian sat there shaking his head at Justin's antics. "Thank you, Justin,"

 

"No problem, Brian,"

 

They both finished off their cheesecake and strawberry sauce. When Justin had finished, there was some strawberry sauce near his mouth. Without even thinking about it, Brian leaned over and licked it off. Realizing what he had done, he pulled back and looked at Justin's face.

 

For a moment, they just stared into each other's eyes. Then, like two magnets, they were drawn together, neither man knowing who had moved first. Suddenly, they were in each other's arms, and their mouths were seemingly fused together, tongues dueling and soft vibrating moans being felt by both men. The kiss went on for several minutes, before the pair finally came up for air. They just looked at each other and smiled, before Justin stood up and held out his hand for the auburn haired man who he decided he wanted to get to know much more intimately.

 

Brian took the younger man's hand and allowed himself to be led into the bedroom. Once there, Brian leaned down to again take the soft pink lips that he couldn't resist kissing. Determined to be sure this is what Justin really wanted, Brian pulled back to look into the clear blue eyes.

 

"Are you sure, Justin?"

 

"Very sure, Brian. This just feels right. And I want it to be you... I need it to be you,"

 

Brian smiled and reached for the hem of Justin's shirt. The blond raised his arms, allowing Brian to pull the shirt off to reveal the unblemished alabaster skin that he couldn't wait to taste. Justin turned and pulled the comforter from the bed, pulling back the sheet as he climbed on. Laying back against the pillows, he watched avidly as Brian quickly pulled off his own shirt and lay down on his side next to him. Moving over the smaller body, Brian leaned in for another kiss while he pressed their groins together. Justin bucked up moaning, reaching his hands upward to comb through the thick auburn hair. Brian moved his mouth to lick and lightly suck at the pale neck, causing the most amazing sounds to be emitted from the blond. Brian wanted to worship the smaller body, just to see what other erotic sounds he could elicit.

 

Lowering his head, he licked at the pink nipples and then blew on them, making Justin tighten his hold on the hair to redirect him as he arched his back for more contact. Brian continued his exploration, licking, nipping, and rimming the small belly button, before reaching to unbutton Justin's pants while looking at his face for any signs of hesitation. The last thing Brian wanted was for Justin to feel at all forced into doing anything he didn't want to do. All he saw in the expressive eyes was trust, desire, and lust. So he continued to remove the jeans and underwear of the younger man. Brian was shocked and immensely pleased by what he found waiting for him. For even though Brian was a top, he was also a size queen and Justin more than measured up. Justin's cock, hard and leaking, was almost as long as Brian's, but thicker.

 

Not able to resist the glistening precum dripping from the slit, Brian leaned down and licked the head of the beautiful cock. Normally very quiet during sex, Brian groaned at the fresh, salty-sweet taste of the blond. Wanting more of that taste, Brian took the head into his mouth and wrapped his tongue around it, trying to coax out more of the taste he now craved. Justin raised his hips, thoroughly enjoying Brian's ministrations. Brian decided that he wanted a full dose of that cream, so he began to lick and suck in earnest, while fondling Justin's full, heavy sack. Reaching back, Brian massaged the spot behind the tight sack, coaxing even more sexy noises from the beautiful man.

 

Finally Justin couldn't take any more, and warned Brian that he was going to come. Brian just sucked harder and moaned, while Justin arched his back and came with a very loud and satisfied groan. Brian licked up every drop and moved up until he was above the blond, leaning down to kiss him and share some of the best cum he had ever tasted. Pulling back after the kiss,  Brian told him, "I think I found something that tastes even better than your cheesecake," Justin lowered his eyes and blushed at Brian's comment. "Do you want to do more? We can stop anytime you know, I don't want you to be uncomfortable,"

 

"No, Brian. I don't want to stop, I want you... I want you to be my first. And just so you know, I was always safe and I always got tested. I'm clean,"

 

"That's good to know. I'm clean too, and I'm always safe. And Justin, if you change your mind or want me to stop, just say so, okay? Promise me?"

 

"Thank you, Brian. I promise, but right now I really want you to fuck me, please,"

 

Brian looked down and Justin was once again hard and leaking. Standing up, Brian stripped off his pants and Justin got a look at the huge cock he was looking forward to having it stuffed inside him. He licked his lips and reached out to touch the velvet covered steel hard rod. Then, leaning forward, Justin ran his tongue across Brian's slit, getting his first taste of the older man. Brian grabbed his cock and squeezed. He was already leaking and wanted to get inside Justin's ass, but he also wanted to take it slow. He was determined that Justin's first time would be special, and something the younger man would remember fondly.

 

"Come here and let me take the edge off for you. Besides, I want a taste, too," Justin told him with a smile.

 

Brian thought about it and quickly decided that he would last much longer and be better able to concentrate more fully on Justin's pleasure if he got off now. So he moved closer to the blond and felt Justin's arms wrap around his hips while the wet, warm mouth took his cock down to the root. Brian's eyes almost rolled back into his head as Justin wrapped his tongue around his huge cock, milking it as he sucked and hummed. Brian had been getting blown since he was fourteen years old, but no one had ever blown him like this! Justin had the most amazing mouth he had ever felt around his cock. Within two minutes, Brian was coming buckets down the blond's throat. If Justin had not been holding onto him, he probably would have been crumpled on the floor. The blond guided him to sit on the edge of the bed until he could get his bearings. Once Brian could remember how to speak, he grabbed the blond and kissed him hard.

 

"That is by far the most amazing blow job I have ever gotten. You are one extraordinary man, Justin," Again Justin blushed at Brian's compliment. "Now lay back and let me show you how good I can make you feel,"

 

Justin settled himself back on the pillows and gave himself over to Brian's experienced hands, somehow knowing that he would want to remember every moment of this experience. Brian settled himself between Justin's legs before placing his hands on the backs of his thighs to raise them up so that he could taste the blond and relax him with his tongue. Normally, he would have turned Justin onto his stomach, but he wanted to be able to see the expressive eyes and be sure that the younger man was comfortable with everything he was doing. Moving his hands down to Justin's ass Brian spread the cheeks to expose the tight pink pucker. Making sure his tongue was very wet Brian carefully licked at the tiny knot before softly blowing on it, making it clench even tighter and causing Justin to whimper. Softly licking the folds got Justin to slowly relax until Brian was able to work his tongue inside the place that his cock was quickly letting him know it needed to be. Justin's moans were music to Brian's ears, sexily serenading Justin's satisfaction to him in soft croons and whimpers, telling him without a doubt that the blond was enjoying what was being done to him. Finally Justin reached down and touched Brian's head, ceasing his ministrations momentarily.

 

"Please Brian, I need you inside me," the blond told him, handing him the lube and a condom.

 

Brian took the lube and warmed some on his fingers before breaching the tight hole and scissoring his fingers to open the blond up. He knew that there would be an initial pinch, but was still determined that Justin be spared from as much pain as possible. Once Justin was as open as Brian could make him, he rolled the condom on his throbbing cock, coated it with lube, and placed it at Justin's entrance, watching the blue eyes for any sign of hesitation. Seeing only trust and excitement, Brian pressed forward, pushing through the first ring of muscle. Brian felt the blond clamping down and rubbed circles on his stomach to help him relax.

 

"Take a deep breath and try to push me out," Brian instructed. Justin did as he was told as Brian steadily pushed in until he was fully seated inside the hottest ass he had ever felt.

 

Leaning down, Brian took the soft pink lips in a kiss while Justin adjusted to being filled. Slowly, Brian began rocking his hips to help the blond get used to the feeling. After about a minute, Justin raised his hips, encouraging Brian to move. They quickly found a rhythm and moved together like they had been lovers for years. Soon Brian was dragging past Justin's prostate, and propelling the younger man to new heights of pleasure. Both men were moaning loudly, and sooner than either one wanted were shouting out their release, neither one having touched Justin's cock. Brian held onto the condom, carefully and slowly pulling out. He lay next to the sated young man and kissed his cheek.

 

"Are you okay?" Brian asked, wanting to make sure Justin was still alright with everything.

 

"I'm fantastic, Brian. You are incredible! I couldn't have dreamed of a better first time, thank you,"

 

The two men lay on their sides, facing each other, each momentarily lost in their own thoughts. Finally Brian rolled onto his back, and reached out his arm to wrap it around the smaller man, pulling him close. Justin settled his head on Brian's chest and the two men dozed, until someone started ringing Justin's buzzer... again.

 

"Fuck. I'll get it, it's probably one of them looking for me anyway," Brian announced, more than annoyed at being interrupted.

 

"No, Brian. I'll get it. I'm going to make it clear to your friends that I am not your secretary, and if they keep ringing my bell, instead of answering it I will just call the police,"

 

Brian admired the view as Justin walked naked to the intercom panel by the door. Justin pushed the button and answered in an annoyed voice.

 

"YES?"

 

"I'm looking for Brian Kinney and he's not answering his bell," It was that whiny annoying man again!

 

"Do you know how to read?" snapped Justin.

 

"Of course, I do!" Was the snippy answer he received.

 

"What does it say on the bell you are so annoyingly leaning on?" Justin demanded.

 

"J. Taylor," Came the answer.

 

"Does it say ANYWHERE next to my name, ‘ring here if Brian Kinney doesn't answer his bell'?" Justin asked.

 

"No," was the snotty answer he got.

 

"Then STOP ringing my bell when you can't find him," Justin shouted.

 

"But he's my best friend!" came the annoying high-pitched whine.

 

"Some ‘best friend'," Justin commented with a calm he did NOT feel. "It looks more like he is avoiding you. Maybe you should take the hint. Now GO AWAY, because next time you ring my bell, looking for someone else, I will call the police,"

 

Justin walked back into the bedroom to find Brian rolling around and holding the pillow to his face to stifle his laughter.

 

Grabbing the pillow, Justin looked at Brian, who was laughing with tears running down his face.

 

"What is so funny?"

 

"You. Telling them off like you have no idea where I am,"

 

"Well actually, Brian, neither of them have asked if I knew you or knew where you were. I never lied to them. I just never offered any information,"

 

"Come here, you," Brian said, grabbing the hot blond who still smelled like sex and pulling him back down onto the bed, before hovering over him.

 

"MMmmm, you smell wonderful, Brian,"

 

"I was just thinking the same thing about you,"

 

Leaning over Justin, Brian took the sweet pink lips, teasing them open with his tongue. Justin responded hungrily, sucking on Brian's tongue and running his fingers through the thick auburn locks. Brian gripped Justin's head in kind, deepening the kiss. Brian adjusted his position on top of the younger man, pressing their growing erections together as both men moaned into each other's mouths. Justin wrapped his legs around Brian's slim hips, seemingly trying to mold their bodies into one. Brian ran his hands over the smooth alabaster skin of the sexy blond in his arms.

 

After another round, they fell asleep in each other's arms, sated.

 

The next morning, Brian woke up wrapped around a warm blond, and much to his surprise he didn't want to run. In fact, he felt strangely comfortable. A few minutes later, the blond bundle started to wake up.

 

"Good morning, Brian," Justin said with a yawn.

 

"Morning, sleepyhead. We need a shower; we're both a little ripe," Brian suggested, in no hurry to end his time with the blond.

 

Smiling, Justin threw back the covers and wiggled his ass as he headed into the bathroom.

 

"I'm a little stiff this morning. I'm not sure I can reach everything," he told Brian, looking over his shoulder.

 

Brian hurried out of the bed. "Since I'm probably the reason you're so stiff, I guess it would only be proper for me to help you."

 

"Such a gentleman," the younger man said with a giggle.

 

Once in the shower, Justin once again reminded Brian of his amazing fellatio skills, and then his strength in holding the boneless man up.

 

Without any discussion, they spent the rest of the day together, enjoying Justin's cooking skills, watching movies, playing games, and having a few more rounds in the bedroom. Both men thoroughly enjoying spending time together.

 

Before Brian went home that night, they went through the new presentation once more to make sure it was perfect.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Harriet Bartier was listening attentively as Brian explained the core elements of the campaign proposal. Ted, Cynthia, Justin, and Murph were also in the conference room to answer any questions that the Bartiers may have during the presentation. Mrs Bartier was more than impressed with what the team at Kinnetik had come up with so far, and she was not afraid to say so.

 

"I have to admit that I was a little skeptical coming here under the advisement of Laura. However, I am sitting here pleasantly surprised at all of the services your company is willing to offer, Mr Kinney,"

 

"Beginning this company as a boutique operation definitely has been an advantage, Mrs Bartier. Although we also have the standard packages other advertising companies offer, we still believe in giving each campaign- be it mass produced or independently owned- a personalized touch, tailor-made for each of our clients,"

 

"Please call me Harriet, and I will call you Brian. I do believe that you and your staff have what it takes to make this latest push into the 21st century a success. Don't you think so as well, Harlan?" She looked at the frowning countenance of the man seated beside her.

 

"I really don't think so, Harriet. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that I would ever agree with a campaign that is basically..."

 

"Selling sex?" she finished for him. "Perhaps you have forgotten, dear," she sneered the endearment, "but humans are indeed sexual beings. I find what they have done for the campaign very tasteful. The innuendo of sex is there, but it's not as overt as say, the strip club you visit every Saturday afternoon after your jaunt to the country club," He gasped in response as both Brian and Justin hid their smiles behind a closed fist, and within a sketchbook. Murph, Ted, and Cynthia couldn't help the snickers which escaped them. "Didn't think I knew about that, did you Harlan?"

 

Harlan Bartier cleared his throat, clearly uncomfortable with the turn his opposition to the campaign had taken. Though it was always that way with Harriet, he still didn't appreciate her putting his personal business out for all to see, especially that child molester, Justin Taylor. "That is not the only issue and you know it! I don't think that it is right to work with those who have broken the law, and instead of paying for their crime, fled the scene to avoid prosecution,"

 

Justin, who had been sitting at the far end of the table, looked up from his sketch pad in horror at the accusation being aimed at him. He looked over at Brian's darkening countenance, and could tell that his boss was poised to defend him in a way that would surely cost them the Bartier account. So, he was shocked that he had another person willing to clear up the matter of his past, without regard to the account.

 

"Harlan, you can't possibly believe that bold-faced lie Craig Taylor made it a point to spread around to cover his own shameful and neglectful treatment of his son?!"

 

"Harriet..."

 

"It's plain bullshit! And here I thought I married an intelligent man who was usually an amazing judge of character. Over the years and even as I sit here listening to you defame Justin's character, based on hearsay- and in front of his boss no less- I realize that perhaps I was the ignorant one in agreeing to marry you,"

 

"You didn't have much of a choice, Harriet. You wouldn't have inherited otherwise," Harlan sneered. Harriet, in turn, laughed.

 

"That's true. I wouldn't have. But think about this, Harlan. I have had many, MANY opportunities over the years to divorce you. And based on the prenup YOU signed, you get absolutely nothing. So in reality, I ask you, who is really performing charity here?"  

 

"This isn't about that, Harriet, and you well know it! I don't want a child molesting son-of-a-bitch associated with our business! Period! End of discussion!"

 

Whereas Harlan thought that he had put his foot down, and that his word should be taken as law, Harriet had other ideas. Brian and Justin looked on in shock as the formidable older woman straightened her back and rose from the chair. Harriet walked sedately, yet purposefully, to where her husband sat across from her at the conference table. Straightening further to her full height, she spoke in a low tone. "Idiot... you're once again letting your prejudice overrule your brain. I suppose that's your cronies' influence, since you seem to love playing the mindless twit. Well, I want Brian and Justin... and I SHALL HAVE Brian and Justin. If you don't like it, you can divorce me. Which will leave you with nothing. And then you can go live with your harlot, which I know just happens to be your son's fiancee, who you've been screwing. Though I doubt she will be very agreeable to continue entertaining you when she finds out you are broke. Now, if you'll let me have this kick ass campaign, the only thing it is going to cost you is your pride when our sales increase. Your choice Harlan, but choose very carefully,"

 

He fidgeted under her intense scrutiny. He hated when Harriet got this way. She used her position as Chief Stockholder in Bartier Modular Homes as one would a sledgehammer, all while never raising her voice. It didn't help that even with his son's agreement, he still wouldn't have enough percentage in the vote to overrule her. She owned sixty percent of the company and was never willing to give up even one more share to anyone. Like it or not- and he certainly did NOT- he was nothing more than the face of the company and her occasional arm candy. Harriet held all the power. She had the money, the largest percentage in the company, and him by the fucking balls. And she knew it.

 

"Fine! We'll try it out for a quarter, but if it doesn't work out with Kinnetik, we look for someone else, posthaste. And no one is to know that we're working directly with Justin Taylor for any reason, Harriet. I mean it!" Harlan demanded, as if what he wanted counted for anything.

 

"Alright, Harlan. I won't volunteer the information, but if someone asks me who did the amazing artwork on our campaign, I will NOT lie. I will inform them that Justin is the talented young man, whose work was always so promising, at such a young age, and that he is partnered with Brian Kinney in this capacity. And that he is thriving despite Craig Taylor's dastardly intentions. In the meantime, I want you to really give this parting shot some thought... Why would a beautiful young man, who is clearly gay, molest his sister? Unless Justin has been masquerading as a transgender male, and is actually a lesbian trapped within his own body, he isn't interested in pussy. An as far as our son's fiancee and your harlot goes, you would do well to remind her that if she tries to ruin this deal, I will end her without even breaking my nails. Keep her in check. That is the only warning you are getting,"

 

Turning to Brian and Justin, who still had not regained their composure, she said smiling, "You boys have yourselves a new client. Now I have to tell you that I'll be popping in and out of here from time to time, since I always want to see the campaign development from beginning to end."

 

Cynthia cleared her throat. She really had a lot of respect for Harriet Bartier from the beginning, but seeing the older woman stand up for Justin endeared her further. "That's fine, Mrs Bartier. It will be nice to have someone else to keep these men in line. I assure you they can be a handful." She smiled, nodding over to Brian, Justin, Murph, and Ted, who were quietly discussing the need for specific materials to begin on Justin's ideas. Then Ted was sitting down at Brian's computer, looking back every so often to confirm or ask a question before typing, making necessary changes to the contract.

 

"That's great, because I'm very high-maintenance, which I suspect Brian would like. I swear if only I were a young man instead of an old lady, I would try my damndest to turn his head; Justin's too. They are a loss for exploding ovaries everywhere!"

 

She and Cynthia shared a laugh, even as Harlan sat at the table, still sulking over being publicly chastened by his wife. Brian, Justin, Murph, and Ted came over then to have Harriet and Harlan look over the contract. They had already sent a preliminary copy, so Harriet had an idea of what it already said. The only things that were newly filled in were the production costs and a base timeline for the first run of the new campaign.

 

"Harriet, here is the completed contract. If your legal department has any questions or concerns, have them give Ted a call. Between him and legal, they should be able to give you an answer relatively quickly," Brian assured her, disregarding the bigot still fuming at being excluded.

 

"No problem. I guess this concludes our meeting, for now. I'll see you all very soon," she said, extending her hand to all of them, until she got to Justin. She pulled him into an embrace, whispering in his ear, "So glad that you are alright, Justin. Your mother will be so relieved to hear, as will Molly. I hope there is a skateboard with your father's name on it, so that he can slip-slide his ass straight to hell."

 

Justin snickered at her last comment, even as he disengaged himself from her embrace. He wiped at his eyes, feeling vindicated for the first time in over a year. Someone believed him instead of Craig, and believed in his talent. He really was experiencing a whole new beginning, a reinvention and renewal of his former self, but with new and improved results. "Yeah, I imagine that God, who Craig purports to believe in wholeheartedly, would definitely have a ready made handbasket marked ‘Bigot' to usher him to hell in style. In the meantime, I'm just grateful that you are giving me a chance to further prove myself,"

 

"No need to be. Based on the work I've seen from you just in this meeting, Brian is lucky to have you." Harriet affectionately slapped Justin's cheek. She always adored the young man. He was always intelligent, well-mannered, and charismatic. Too bad life had tried to take those qualities from him, through the misfortune of being Craig Taylor's son. But look how he's survived and thrived in spite of that ass, she thought. Most of her peers would never have been able to do that.     

 

After the couple took their leave from the office, the remaining occupants breathed a sigh of relief. It was touch and go for a while, but with Harriet Bartier's blessing they now had a twenty million dollar campaign to make shine like a diamond within their target market. None of the occupants could say that they weren't looking forward to the experience. It would definitely not be a boring assignment, for any of them. Justin decided that he needed to eat... again... and asked if anyone wanted anything. After collecting their orders, he headed out to the upscale deli he had grown accustomed to visiting daily. The extra pep in his step could not be denied by anyone whether they knew the reason or not. Justin Taylor now knew what it felt like to be restored.   

 

Lindsay and Michael decided that the only way they would definitely be able to speak to Brian would be to go to Kinnetik and see him. They hadn't been able to get into the loft and both wanted to speak to Brian about it, amongst other things. As they got out of their cars and headed to the front door of Kinnetik, they saw someone walk out the door and head down the block.

 

Michael looked, trying to remember where he has seen him before. Grabbing Lindsay's arm, he tells her, "That's the hustler that I stopped from stealing Brian's wallet outside the diner! What the hell was he doing in there?!"

 

"I don't know, but we should tell Brian. I hope he's not trying to pick up Brian's clients," Lindsay answered.

 

Putting out her cigarette, Laura smiles. ‘Well, well, well, so the new Executive Artistic Liaison is a fucking rentboy, how interesting. That may be useful to know. Now I just need to find out if that's him...'

 

Maybe she would let a few things slip in front of some of the gossipy girls in the office. She would make him sorry he ever came here! Let the boss find out through the grapevine, just who his ‘wonderful new artist' is. Yes, that fucking rentboy's days were definitely numbered around here. She would also let Harlan know, as soon as she had him alone in bed again.

 

Michael and Lindsay walked into Kinnetik and headed for Brian's office. As Cynthia started to tell them that Brian was just finishing up a meeting, he came out of the conference room and headed toward his office.

 

"Brian, Lindsay and I just saw..." Michael starts, and Lindsay stops him.

 

"Brian, Michael and I would like to speak to you in your office please," Lindsay tells him as they follow Brian in, without an invitation.

 

Shutting the door, Michael continues, "I just saw that fucking hustler, the one who tried to steal your wallet, Brian. I hope you didn't give him a job,"

 

Distracted and not really paying attention to what Michael is saying Brian answers, "Michael, I do not hire hustlers to work here. And I am very busy today with meetings. How about I meet both of you for lunch tomorrow, at the diner?"

 

"Alright, Brian. Noon tomorrow then?" Lindsay asks.

 

"Yes, noon tomorrow. Now I really do need to get back to work," Brian tells the unwelcome visitors as he escorts them out of his office.

 

Justin is coming back from the deli and notices them leaving, wondering if those are the friends of Brian's that keep ringing his bell. Whomever they are, he hopes they stay away from his bell from now on. He made a little adjustment to his name on his bell, writing the word ONLY before his name. Brian laughed when he saw it and asked if he really thought it would help.

 

Chapter 6 by Lorie

 

 

CHAPTER 6

 

The next morning Brian told Justin that they would be going to Liberty Diner for lunch, and that Michael and Lindsay would be there. Justin wasn't thrilled, but he did want to see the two people who rang his bell so much. Although he asked Brian not to tell them he was the one living in Brian's building. He was still hoping that they wouldn't figure it out on their own, especially after Lindsay's comment about watching the building. But then again, neither one seemed to be the smartest of Brian's friends. Well, at least Justin hoped that they weren't.

 

Getting to the diner a few minutes past noon, Brian saw that Michael and Lindsay were already sitting at their regular booth. When Brian got to the table he sat in the booth and pulled the blond in to sit beside him.

 

Before Brian could even introduce Justin, Michael started yelling. "Brian, what the fuck?! That's the fucking hustler that tried to steal your wallet! What are you doing with him?! Have you lost your mind?!" As soon as Michael stopped to take a breath, Lindsay started in next. 

 

"Really, Brian! What the hell are you doing with someone like that?! You certainly don't have to pay for sex; everyone wants to sleep with you. I mean... what would your clients think if they saw this... this... boy with you?" Lindsay spit out nastily. "You have to think of your business, Brian; of your reputation. I think that he should run along now, and earn his pay-for-play somewhere else."

 

Brian just sat there in shock. Not that he wasn't used to his 'best friends' trying to run his life, but because they were berating and yelling at him in public this way, like he was a child.

 

"Brian, you can't let people see the Stud of Liberty Avenue with a fucking rentboy," Michael yelled just as Lindsay finished her sneering comment.

 

Justin was shocked and had heard enough. Brian was just sitting there, letting these two people who called themselves his friends belittle him, without even defending himself. As if he deserved to be treated like that! Justin really didn't care what they thought of or said about him. Hell, up until recently he was a rentboy, but they had no right to speak to Brian that way. Getting up and standing at the end of the booth, Justin put his palms on the table and leaned toward Brian's ‘friends'.

 

"Shut up, both of you! How can you call yourselves his friends, and then speak to him like this? If you know what's good for you, you will both stay away from the loft and from Kinnetik. Believe me, if you don't, I will make it my business to make you wish you had." Taking Brian's hand, Justin tells him, "Come on, Brian. We're leaving. There is no reason to stay here and listen to these two miserable excuses for people continue."

 

Lindsay and Michael jumped up, telling Justin that what they have said to Brian is none of his business, once again calling him a whore as the other patrons looked on with barely-concealed interest, and more than a little disgust. But disgust for whom? Him? Or Brian's supposed friends, who continued to hurl insults at him, while denigrating and berating Brian for his choice in companions.

 

"Take your filthy fucking hands off of Brian!" Michael declared as he reached out to grab Justin, who promptly sidestepped the man.               

 

"Touch me, or attempt to do so again, and I promise you, you won't get a second chance." Justin told the annoying, whining man through gritted teeth.

 

"Who the fuck do you think you are? You're nobody! You're nothing but a goddamned filthy whore!" Michael yelled at him.

 

Justin took a deep breath, before responding. "Be that as it may, I am the person who is trying to leave with my lunch companion, and the two of you obnoxious clowns are trying to stop our departure. Again, I am issuing fair warning that you are to leave Brian and me alone, at least for the rest of the afternoon. Beyond that, he will decide when and if he wants to speak with either of you imbeciles. If it were me, I would put an electrified fence anywhere I am that you are likely to show up. But, just so we're clear, I am speaking specifically of your unwanted presence at his loft or Kinnetik. I will make certain that if you show up to either place today, a formal complaint will be lodged and every other restraining measure that I can think of at the moment. Now MOVE!"

 

"Excuse me, but I don't think you are in any position to make any idle threats against us. We are well within our rights, while you, hustle-boy, are violating the diner's strict no solicitation rule. I'm married to a fucking lawyer, so I know the lingo. Why don't you just make yourself scarce, and let the adults have a real conversation?" Lindsay huffed at the end of her tirade.

 

Justin straightened his spine, so that he was nearly eye-level with the harridan, as the shorter brunet looked on. Narrowing his eyes, Justin said, "If either of you keep fucking with me, you'll find out just how much of a man I am. I am not in the business of making idle threats; I make promises, and never ones that I can't or am unwilling to keep. Now, for the last time, Brian and I are leaving."

 

As the annoying pair look to Brian, he gets up and continues to hold Justin's hand tightly, feeling comfort and security there. Michael and Lindsay turn to Brian, demanding that he do something to make the blond leave without him. But Brian continues to stare at the screaming pair, shaking his head, as if seeing them for the first time. All he knows is that in that moment, he would follow Justin anywhere to get away from these two people who were supposed to be his friends.

 

"Brian, are you going to let this piece of filthy trash talk to us like that?" Lindsay asked haughtily.

 

"Yeah Brian, tell the nasty whore to get lost," Michael demanded of Brian.

 

"That's right, keep digging yourselves deeper with the insults. We can add slander and defamation of character to my harassment lawsuit if you keep leveling me with lies," Justin said, nonplussed by their outward show of churlishness. "But hey, you two must be sitting on a fortune and not care that I will be suing you, and reaping all of the financial benefits. This whore, as you continue to call me, is about to be set for life. I doubt your partners will appreciate their stoic marches to the poor house, but hey, it's your call." When the magpies finally quieted, Justin laughed without humor. The tenor of his voice changed again as he said, soft enough for only Brian to hear him, but one of command that the brunet knew to respond to immediately. "Brian, let's go."

 

Brian did so without question, or even one word to Michael and Lindsay. Although, when Brian began moving away they both started shrieking his name. Brian kept pace with Justin, leaving the eatery and its occupants- particularly Michael and Lindsay, behind. The ride back to the loft was made in silence. Making a split second decision, Justin dialed Cynthia and told her they wouldn't be back to the office until tomorrow, and to let Daphne know. When she asked what happened, Justin said simply, "We have to take care of something."

 

After a few last minute instructions, Justin hung up. By that time, Brian was parking the jeep. Justin alighted from the car first and met Brian at the driver's side door, where he was still sitting there, pretty much in shock. Justin opened the door and told Brian softly to get out. Brian looked at him and was tempted to argue, until he saw the commanding look in Justin's eyes- blue orbs that demanded to be instantly obeyed without thought or question. Brian followed suit, wondering what Justin was up to.

 

When Brian closed the door, Justin kissed him in a manner that demanded his surrender, which Brian gave willingly. Justin released his lips, and in a voice hoarse, deep, and breathless, he told Brian to go into his apartment. He was not to speak, just strip and then wait for him. Brian did as he was told without question. Justin instinctively knew that this was what Brian needed, but he also knew that he needed to proceed slowly.

 

He didn't want to rush things and have Brian shut down. The man was already beaten down enough by what his so-called friends had already done to him. Justin wondered how many other times Brian's ‘friends' had treated him this way, and he just took it from them. From the way Brian reacted when they started, it seemed like he just accepted this kind of treatment from them. It seemed like he would just shut down when attacked that way; that he was used to being treated like a punching bag, whether it be verbal or physical.

 

In most aspects of his life, Brian was definitely an Alpha male. Always in control, always having to be on. Because of this, Brian also needed to be taught how to let go of the things that were beyond his control, to trust in the people- the person- around him... to ask for the things he needed when he couldn't attain them himself. Ultimately though, Brian needed peace of mind. He needed to be taken care of instead of being ‘the fixer', for a change.

 

Justin let Brian into the building and waited for a few minutes before going inside. He wanted Brian to acknowledge his choice privately. It was a big decision for him, and Justin knew that right now there was a war going on between who Brian is, and whom he wants to be. It was a mental stopping place that Justin had been in many times himself, especially in the past year, but under a different set of circumstances. He was pleased when he walked into his apartment to see Brian standing in the middle of the floor, naked, with his arms outstretched from his sides, submitting himself with pride. Justin had never seen a more beautiful sight.

 

Crossing over to the middle of the wood floor, Justin rested in front of Brian. He looked up into Brian's face, reading the emotions there. Weariness. Apprehension. Hope. He chose to concentrate on the first and third, realizing that if he addressed those the apprehension would melt away of its own accord. "You've made your decision then." It wasn't a question, but a statement of fact.

 

"Yes."

 

"Any questions you have, ask them now because once we begin there's no turning back."

 

He was gratified to see ghost of a smirk on the outline of Brian's lips. That little action told Justin what he needed to know. Brian wanted this, knew that he needed it, and regardless of the trepidation he was feeling, he was reaching for it. Justin was coming to learn that in that moment he was seeing the true Brian Kinney.

 

"No questions. I don't want to think right now. I've done enough of that in the last few minutes to last the average person a lifetime," Brian answered honestly.

 

Justin nodded in complete understanding of what Brian was saying. "I want you to know that we won't do anything that you don't want to do. So you need to pick a safe word that is not something you would ordinarily call out during sex. If I hear it, I will stop immediately without question. Choose wisely, Brian,"

 

"Michael,"

 

When Brian uttered the word ‘Michael', Justin nearly laughed aloud. Of all the safe words and phrases he had heard in the past year when he engaged in this manner, Justin had never thought to hear a specific name. The fact that Brian had snickered didn't help to control the mirth running through him, but Justin had to know why he picked a name instead of the common words, like ‘red' or ‘yellow' so he asked. "Why?"

 

"If you knew the full history of the friendship I had with Michael, you would understand. I would have picked Lindsay, but I don't ever relish even thinking of being in bed with a woman. That would just be too fucking much. As it is, Michael is bad enough," Brian visibly shivered at the thought, causing Justin to laugh aloud.

 

"Yeah, I could definitely see how that would make you soft and we wouldn't want that," Justin reached out to caress Brian's semi-hardened member, smiling, when at the merest touch, it sprang fully to life. "You'll have to tell me that full history when we finish, but for now, I think it's past time we begin,"

 

Justin walked them both into his bedroom and sat Brian down near the foot of the bed. He gathered the supplies he would need, having decided already to make today's scene more about sensuality, than submissiveness. Most didn't realize that in the world of BDSM, there were a plethora of ways to go. It wasn't all whips and chains, restraints and pain. There was so much more to this world than the absolutes those in the vanilla realm thought there were. Having found all of the items he needed, Justin proceeded back over to the bed with two silk ties in hand, a bottle of lavender oil, and a sleep mask that he kept in case he had a migraine, where even the pitch black dark still seemed too light. It would definitely come in handy for what Justin had in mind for Brian later.

 

"Lay down on the bed on your back, stretch your arms toward the corners of the bed. I'm going to tie your arms to the corners of the bed. I don't want you to be able to use them," As with every command Justin had issued since they were in the diner, Brian complied without argument.

After his arms were tied Justin watched Brian's eyes to make sure he was okay with this. He knew they would need to discuss things more later, but right now Justin wanted Brian to know he was safe, that he was far better than what others thought of him or had the audacity to say about him. Once Justin was satisfied that Brian was accepting things so far, he continued. Leaning over the beautiful hazel-eyed man, Justin softly kissed his lips, teasing them open with his tongue. Once Justin's tongue was in his mouth, Brian happily sucked on it, rubbing it with his own.

 

All too soon, Justin broke the kiss and continued on to Brian's neck, kissing and nipping at all the spots he knew would heat Brian up. Continuing downward, Justin briefly teased Brian's nipples until they were hard. When he started to rim the brunet's bellybutton, he had to hold the man's hips down. By the time he started pulling the hair of his happy trail with his teeth, Brian was moaning, his cock copiously leaking, and Justin licked at the puddle that was forming.

 

"Suck me Justin, please. I ne... I need your mouth on me,"

 

"I give the orders, Brian. And you are not going to cum, not until you can honestly tell me that what those two said about you was nothing but lies. I don't care what they said about me. I was a hustler. But the things they said about you, they were wrong Brian, and you didn't even defend yourself," All the time Justin was speaking, he was slowly jerking Brian's hard cock, he wanted to keep him on the edge. When he stopped talking, he leaned down and licked at the leaking head of the steel hard cock.

 

"Aaahhh... Justin please. I... I don't...  care... care... what they say, it doesn't matter. Please, suck me."

 

"Yes, Brian. It does matter. You shut down when they were talking. You need to acknowledge that you matter. You don't deserve to be spoken to that way. I'll keep you on the edge as long as it takes for you to honestly admit that you do matter, and that the way you are treated by them is wrong,"

 

Brian had always just buried the hurt he felt when he was treated that way by his ‘family', figuring that somehow he deserved to be treated that way. He had grown up being ignored, or treated as a punching bag. So to him, this was at least marginally better, since he didn't have to cover bruises or make excuses for having them.

 

"Brian, you are a wonderful, caring man. You not only do things for your friends, you help people you don't even know. You take chances on people because you believe in them. You don't deserve to be called names and belittled just because they don't agree with what you are doing or the choices you are making,"

 

By now Brian's cock was leaking copiously. Justin was keeping him right on the edge and it was making him crazy. Justin's touch was so erotic to Brian that even though he was being lectured, he couldn't help the physical reaction he had to the blond's touch. The more Justin spoke about Brian and the man he was, the more he understood and agreed with what the younger man was telling him. Finally, Brian could honestly say that Justin was right. He didn't deserve to be treated the way he had been putting up with for so long from his so called ‘family'.

 

"You're right, Justin. I shouldn't put up with it. I need to stand up for myself, and not just get up and leave," Brian told the blond, finally believing the man who had helped him see the truth.

 

Justin looked into the hazel eyes, and saw that Brian was being honest. Smiling, he leaned forward and took the angry red cock deep into his throat, moaned and swallowed. Brian groaned loudly and shot hard down Justin's throat. After Justin had swallowed all Brian had for him, he reached up and untied the brunet's hands. Brian reached for the man who was quickly becoming the most important thing in his life. Justin moved up and put his head on the strong chest while Brian wrapped his strong arms around him like he was holding a lifeline. He knew that Brian needed some close contact. Brian was quiet for a few minutes, needing to think before he spoke.

 

"Thank you, Justin. I feel somehow freer after that. If you're willing, I would really like to explore this kind of relationship with you,"

 

Raising himself up, Justin looked down into the hazel eyes and smiled. "I'd like that very much, Brian. We need to discuss things like limits and things you're willing to try,"

 

"Justin... um... well... I, ah..."

 

"What is it, Brian? Are you having second thoughts, because I would never force..."

 

"No, Justin. Not at all. Actually, I want... this is so hard... I've never..."

 

"Brian, whatever it is just say it. I won't judge you. You need to know that you're always safe with me,"

 

"Okay, well here goes... I'veneverbottomedandIwouldlikeyoutobemyfirst,"

 

"How about you try that again, and this time could the last part be more than one long word?" Justin asked smiling. He was pretty sure he knew what Brian had said, but he wanted to absolutely certain.

 

"I said, I've never bottomed and I would like you to be my first," Brian said, lowering his eyes away from the penetrating blue orbs.

 

Justin put his hand under Brian's chin, wanting to see his eyes. Brian's eyes always told the story. Looking into the hazel eyes, Justin saw trust, caring, and need. He could also tell that this was something Brian needed. Justin leaned down and kissed the coral lips.

 

"Turn over, Brian," Justin told him quietly. As Brian did what he was told, Justin saw a flash of something in his eyes.

 

Leaning over the bronze colored back, Justin whispered into his ear, "I just want to prepare you, to make you feel special, because you are. When I take you, it will be face to face. I want to look in your beautiful eyes as I push into you," Kissing down Brian's back, Justin felt him relax. He knew Brian had to be nervous and he was determined to make this something that Brian would always remember, just as the man had done for his first time.

 

When Justin settled himself between Brian's legs, he could feel the older man tense up.

 

"Brian, if you're not ready we don't have to do this now,"

 

"I want this, Justin. I guess I'm just nervous. But I want you to know that I trust you. I want this with you,"

 

"Okay, but promise me if you want me to stop you will just let me know,"

 

"I will, I promise,"

 

Justin softly kissed the smooth globes of Brian's ass, while running his fingers lightly over Brian's balls, trying to help him relax. Brian started moaning and pushed his ass back toward Justin. Placing one hand on each cheek, Justin gently spread Brian's ass, exposing the tight mahogany knot. He softly blew on it, causing Brian to make a groaning noise and push his ass toward Justin's face. Getting his tongue good and wet, Justin licked a strip from the base of Brian's balls to his tailbone, before settling in to concentrate on getting the tight hole to relax. Teasing the edges of the hole with his tongue, Justin moaned at the heady aroma of his lover. When Brian had relaxed a bit, Justin made his tongue stiff and stabbed it into the center of the knot. Brian practically screamed and pushed back onto Justin's tongue.

 

"Oh God! Justin, more... please... harder. It feels amazing," Brian begged.

 

Justin continued, using his thumbs to spread Brian open. Finally, he grabbed the lube and used his fingers to stretch Brian more, knowing that he needed to be very wet and open for Justin's wide cock. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity to the writhing man, Justin told Brian to turn on his back. Once Brian had turned, Justin once again settled himself between the long legs. Pulling on them so that Brian's ass rested on his thighs, Justin looked into the man's eyes and saw trust. Brian knew that Justin had prepared him as well as he could.

 

Slipping on a condom, Justin added more lube to make his entry as easy as possible. Once Justin pushed his cock slowly into Brian, he paused often to let him adjust. At last, when he was balls deep into the older man he stopped again, watching Brian's face for any signs that he was regretting this. Finally Brian pushed against Justin, silently asking him to move. Justin started out slowly, rocking his hips, searching for the best angle. Once he bumped Brian's prostate, the older man groaned out the most erotic sounds. Quickly finding a rhythm, Justin continued fucking Brian, who had wrapped his legs around Justin's back and was bucking up against him. But soon Brian needed more.

 

"Harder, fuck me harder! This feels great. Ohhh, yes... MORE!" Brian yelled, knowing this would be over soon as he grabbed his cock to stroke it in time with Justin's thrusts.

 

"Now Brian... cum now." Justin ordered.

 

And Brian shot streams of cum across Justin's chest, while the contractions of Brian's ass pulled the orgasm from Justin.

 

Once they relaxed, Justin pulled out and stripped off the very full condom, and he laid his head on Brian's chest after disposing of it. Feeling Brian start to shake, Justin raised up to look at the man's face. Brian had tears running down his face.

 

"What is it? Did I hurt you?" Justin asked, concerned.

 

"No, not at all, I feel wonderful. I just... I... I don't know how to explain how I feel. Everything you did, it was just so amazing. You were careful; you took care of me. I think you're right, this is what I need. You are what I need. I think we definitely need to discuss this relationship, but could we do it later or tomorrow even. Right now, I'd really like you to fuck me again... this way." Brian said as he got on his hands and knees, pulling his knees forward to compensate for the height difference.

 

Justin happily complied, donning a fresh condom and applying some more lube.

 

Once they were sated, Brian asked Justin if they could talk about their relationship. "Justin, could we discuss the relationship now or would you rather sleep?"

 

"No, we can do it now. First of all, I'd like to know how much you know about D/s relationships,"

 

"Not a lot, but I suppose the relationship would depend on what the couple in the relationship wanted it to be. I don't think that it would be just about discipline and punishment, unless that is what they wanted it to be," Brian answered.

 

"You're right about that. The relationships are as varied as any other relationship. The first thing to always remember is ‘Safe, Sane, and Consensual', and always have a safeword. Two of the things we need to discuss are, what are your limits, and what you want to get out of the relationship,"

 

Brian thought for a moment. This was a new experience for him, in comparison to everything else in his life. By his own self-imposed rules, Brian wasn't used to giving up control in any capacity. Sure, there were things he couldn't control, but his reaction to those circumstances he could. In this realm, Brian would be, in a sense, allowing someone else to not only make decisions for him, but his body would involuntarily react to those situations and commands. Could he trust Justin not to take it too far? Could he trust Justin not to hurt him as Jack Kinney had when he was powerless to stop him?

 

He looked over at Justin, who was patiently regarding him, letting Brian make up his own mind about how he wanted his foray into the world of BDSM to transpire. Brian had his answer in that moment, when he saw how the blue eyes of the man above him were patiently letting him make his decisions, without any pressure.

 

"I trust you, Justin. I don't know why or how, but I know that you won't take things too far between us. All I ask is that you don't do anything to me that you wouldn't want done to you. And that you never touch me in anger,"

 

"I agree to that. I won't do anything to you that I wouldn't want done to me. And believe me, Brian, I would never touch you in anger. I hope you already realize that, even though we've only known each other a short time. I suppose this request stems from some deep-seeded, long-past misdeed inflicted on you when you were helpless,"

 

Brian bit his lip and hesitantly nodded. There were things that Jack had done, and had allowed to be done to Brian in the past that colored the brunet's outlook more than anyone ever knew about. Debbie, Michael, and Lindsay thought they knew everything, but there was only one person that knew it all, and Vic had never betrayed Brian's trust. Brian decided that he was sitting in front of another man who also wouldn't betray him.

 

"I know, Justin, but I had to ask it of you anyway. You see, the abuse I've been subjected to wasn't just emotional, it was physical in ways that most couldn't even dream about in their worse nightmares. Yes, Jack Kinney used me as his punching bag for many years, and Joan was all too happy to allow it as long as he wasn't hitting her. But the sexual abuse was something completely different, and the reason that I haven't bottomed again until tonight,"

 

"I thought you said you never bottomed," Justin looked at him, puzzled as to why Brian would lie to him.

 

"Never willingly," Brian said and let that hang in the air, watching Justin absorb the implication.

 

"Who was it?" Justin asked, furious and heartsick about the man he cared deeply for being subjected to something so abhorrent. Brian dropped his eyes, but Justin wouldn't let the man escape into himself. This was too important if they were going to continue to engage in this type of sex. "I want the whole story, now. There is no room for lies or false notions of embarrassment between us, Brian,"

 

"It was my gym teacher. Jack had promised him that I would go clean his house to pay off a gambling debt between the two of them. I should have known something was awry since I was requested specifically, instead of my cunty sister, Claire. The irony of it is that Claire would have happily done it, because she had a crush on him. But although he was married with children, he wasn't into pussy. I was bent over scrubbing his shower stall, when he came into the bathroom. He asked me all sorts of questions- things that made me uncomfortable- but I knew I had no choice but to answer them anyway. He told me that he would forgive my father's debt if..."

"Well, to make a long story short, he did everything to me, and it fucking hurt like hell. He wasn't gentle or caring; he was brutal. He knew what my father had threatened me with, so to his way of thinking, this was the lesser of two evils. But he was wrong, because I still ended up with bruised ribs when I arrived home late for dinner after I stopped off at Michael's to take a shower. But I got even... well, with the gym teacher, at least. I blackmailed him into putting me on the soccer team. Once I became the star of it, he tried to get me again, but it never panned out. I was there for one reason and one reason only: to get a scholarship to get the fuck out of that hellhole I grew up in. And he, in turn, was determined to stop me and leave me at Jack's mercy for not giving him what he wanted.

"He had called a friend of his at Penn State to come and see Larry Wells play. It was his way of thwarting me, of rubbing his ‘power' in my face. We were ordered to give Larry the ball constantly, which of course I didn't. His whole plan backfired when Larry got hurt from trying to be daring and ended up with a twisted knee cap. I decided to turn up the heat a little, and played one of the best games of my high school career. After checking me out to see if I would be eligible to play for the NCAA, he offered me an athletic scholarship. I automatically qualified for the academic scholarship being the third top student in my graduating class. And there was nothing my father or my rotten coach could do to stop any of it," Brian finished, exhausted from his recitation of former events.

 

Justin understood so many things from Brian's past now. His need for control, his insecurities, his overachiever mentality, and the way he let his ‘friends' run roughshod over him. Everything stemmed from his feelings of never being good enough, or better yet, his constant drive to prove that he was deserving. Justin vowed that he would be the type of Dom to service all of Brian's needs, never tearing him down but constantly building him up to know that he was worth so much more than people thought. He would use methods that would restore Brian's faith in himself, much like he had today after the contretemps with Dumb and Dumber in the diner.

 

Without a word, Justin laid Brian down and held him, knowing instinctively that no sentence he could utter would make Brian feel whole again. Brian Kinney was a man of action, and Justin would spend the entire night if need be showing him that he was everything a person could want- not for what he could give them, but because of who he is.     

 

After several minutes of kissing and stroking Brian, of hearing the brunet sigh and plead, Justin had an idea. "I'm going to give you a name,"

 

"Huh?"

 

Justin smiled at the incoherent response of the usual wordsmith, writhing wildly beneath him. "I'm going to give you a name that describes you when you're like this. It will be symbolic of everything you are... and where I want to be. Look at me now," Brian did as Justin asked, and the look in Brian's eyes in that moment reminded Justin of a childhood dream.

 

Since Justin was a little boy, he lived for tales his grandmother used to tell him of her yearly trips to the Lustymore Island in Ireland. The rolling hills and lush green shades of the country had held him enthralled when she would show him pictures of the places she would visit, or the people she would talk to. Although her father was Anglo-Saxon, her mother was from that country of folklore, myths, and legends. It was a place he had always wanted to go. "Irish."

 

"Why are you naming me that?"

 

"Because not only is it your heritage as well as partially mine, it's the place I want to be. I want to be buried deep inside my very own slice of Ireland- a piece of it that no one else will see, touch, or have," As Justin said this he pushed two fingers into Brian to emphasize his point.

 

"Yes," Brian moaned, riding the fingers slowly. He really liked the idea that Justin was naming him something so dear to him. He looked into Justin's eyes again, seeing the passion and lust there making him shiver. "Do I get to name you, too?"

 

"If you could name me, what would you call me?" Justin leaned down and bit into Brian's bottom lip, before running his tongue over it to soothe away the sting.

 

"Azure,"

 

"Really? Why?"

 

"Because I get lost in that particular shade of blue every single time you look at me like this,"

 

"Like what?"

 

"Like you want to have me on a plate and sop me up with a biscuit,"

 

Both Brian and Justin laughed at the analogy, before Justin responded, "Oh I want to sop you up alright, but I don't need the added sustenance of food at this moment. All I need is your cum going down my throat and hearing you moan your satisfaction," Justin punctuated each word with a tap to his Irish's prostate, relishing the lilting melody escaping Brian's lips. "We'll use the names in public whenever the mood suits us, and no one has to know what they mean or why we are saying them. Will that bring you pleasure?"

 

"Yes,"

 

"Say my name then,"

 

"Azure..."

 

"Again... keep saying it," Justin commanded as he slid down Brian's body, taking the man into his mouth. He implored Brian to keep saying it, as he brought him to the brink over and over, backing off only to drive the restless man higher while he was still being fingered mercilessly.


Several hours of play and passion later, Justin laid with his head resting comfortably on Brian's chest. Justin had finally fucked Brian to sleep. As he absorbed the sound of the deep, even breathing and the steady beat of Brian's heart beneath his ear, he thought back to what Brian had shared with him over the course of the evening. Brian had deep scars which somehow matched his own, inflicted by fathers who were both bastards in their own right. He knew that Brian's motto of ‘becoming the biggest fucking success was the best revenge' was applicable to his own situation in dealing with Craig Taylor.

 

It still amazed Justin that two men, so different in their stations in life, could have such complementary experiences. In a way, he wondered if he should send Craig a ‘Thank You' note because had it not been for the man's callousness, Justin might never have met Brian. Thanks to that asshole, Justin's story was resembling an alternative take on ‘Pretty Woman'. He nearly chuckled aloud at the comparison, and yet it seemed apt. Regardless of how they met or how they would continue to do in business together, Justin knew that he and Brian were well-suited.

 

They would help each other heal, and in the meantime, become more successful, have more money, and a whole lot more sex than any of their detractors; gay, straight, or undecided... and wouldn't that just piss everyone off. Justin closed his eyes, joining Brian in slumber and looking forward to the rest of his life.    

 

 

Chapter 7 by Lorie

 

 

CHAPTER 7

 

Lindsay was pacing the floor and still fuming about that insolent, infuriating, disgusting blond hustler that obviously had some kind of control over ‘her' Brian while she waited impatiently for Mel to get home from work. Maybe the whore was blackmailing him? There just had to be some reason for it!

 

As soon as Mel walked in the door, Lindsay started yelling, "Mel, you won't believe what happened when Michael and I met Brian for lunch today..." and she went on to tell Mel, surprisingly in full detail, what had happened at the diner.

 

"Christ, Lindsay! Are you two out of your fucking minds?! That blond- whatever his name is- has absolutely every right to sue both of you for exactly the reasons he gave, because of what you said and did. And even better for his case, you did it in front of a diner full of people at lunchtime! Not only that, but you still want to ask Brian to father kids for us. Do you ever think about what you are doing before you do it?" Mel lectured, furious at what Lindsay had done. "Well, I don't care how much you have to grovel, you will go and apologize to both Brian and the blond kid, and I hope you have not totally and permanently fucked things up for us. I really wish you would learn to think before you act, and especially when that idiot, Michael, is involved. Oh yes Lindsay, one more thing: because of the problems lately on Liberty Avenue, the owner of the diner put in cameras, WITH SOUND, to keep people safe."

 

"So what does that have to do with me?" Lindsay questioned.

 

"Think about it. It means that it's quite possible that your stupidity was caught on camera- lock, stock, and tirade. Even if Michael acted a fool, I would have expected better from you. And I'm pretty sure that Brian would have, too. But no, you had to play Follow the Stupid. And now, if that young man decides to have the tape pulled, you're screwed."

 

"Well, can't you stop it, Mel??" Lindsay asked, nervous now that Mel mentioned the cameras. "I'll admit that I made a poor choice following Michael into his tirade, but we were just concerned for Brian. This hustler tried to take advantage of Brian before. We won't let him do so again."

 

"Do you honestly think so little of Brian that you believe that he can't take care of himself? Obviously there was a reason the two of them were together, and it wasn't just for a lunch meeting with you. In any event, it's none of your business."

 

"How can you say that?" Lindsay questioned plaintively. "You know how I feel about Brian. I'm just being protective."

 

Melanie huffed. "Sure Lindz, keep telling yourself that and maybe you'll convince yourself. You and Michael both need your heads examined. Brian is perfectly capable of making solid decisions- look at his business, after all. The last thing he needs is you and that pretentious jackass he used to call his best friend, busting his chops for something that has nothing to do with either of you. Now, I've addressed this as much as I intend to. Stay away from this guy and leave Brian the fuck alone! With any luck, he's going to be the father of our child or children, and he doesn't need you acting in the role of wife or mother, or he'll never agree to it."

 

Melanie marched towards the stairs of the house, wondering if Lindsay would ever get a fucking clue about Brian Kinney. Well, as long as she insists on remaining friends with Michael, that isn't likely to happen. She looked back at Lindsay to see if anything she said registered, relieved at least a little when Lindsay drew her legs up under her, a small thoughtful frown creasing her delicate eyebrows. Perhaps what Mel had said may actually make a difference in getting her one step closer to being co-parents with Lindsay. Only time would tell.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The following morning at Kinnetik was busy, as it was most days. Brian was already a taskmaster, but it seemed that with Justin as the new EAL, accounts were being snatched up more quickly. Word was getting around on Kinnetik's new approach to holding meetings, which was causing more clientele to be driven to the company. Cynthia and Daphne were kept hopping as more meetings were scheduled. Daphne had determined that at the rate the company was growing, Justin would have to eventually hire additional staff who could also draw during the meetings. Right now Justin was only working with Brian, but the other Ad Execs were requesting that he be included in some of their meetings as well.

 

The good news was that once an idea was implemented, Murph and his crew would take over under the guidance of Justin. Murph was happy with the arrangement, as it meant that all of his staff was kept busy and less likely to sit around idly gossiping without being productive. They always seemed to be bouncing ideas off each other and had taken it upon themselves to compete, off the record, with Marketing in getting more accounts for the business. Brian was a fair boss, in that if they brought the accounts in, they got the bonus for them. For the most part, the already-energetic vibe of Kinnetik had increased a hundred fold, and it had all begun with the advent of Justin Taylor in their lives. The only one still unhappy and critical was the woman with an axe to grind against the intelligent and talented blond. Laura Wright.  

 

Laura sees two of the biggest office gossips waiting for coffee in the breakroom. Standing outside of the room and looking around to make sure no one else is around, she takes out her phone and acts like she is talking to someone.

 

"You know, the one I told you about, the one that got promoted to Executive Artistic Liaison. Yeah, that Justin... well I just found out from a reliable source that before he was hired here last week, he was a hustler... you know, a rent boy... yes, as in twenty for a blow job. I wonder how long he'll keep that job after the boss finds out that little piece of news... No, I can't say anything. He already took away my latest campaign, and I don't want it to look like I'm trying to start trouble... I don't know, but I need to find a way, I don't want this to hurt the company... yeah, I'll talk to you later, Bye. She says and hangs up her phone, before walking away from the breakroom.

 

Looking back briefly, she noticed that Chuck and Anne had perked up with her departure. They looked at each other, already beginning to speculate if it was true or not. The newest intern, Jessica, passed Laura on the way into the break room, three fresh lattes in hand.

 

Placing her bounty on the table, Jessica started chattering, a little out of breath. "Hey peanuts, what's going on? Now that Justin isn't running errands for the company anymore, and I'm back to being little Miss Errands, I picked these up on the way back from dropping the latest prints off for Remson."

 

"Speaking of Justin, do you know he used to be a rentboy?" Chuck asked.

 

"Who the hell told you that nonsense?" Jessica questioned.

 

Anne said, "A reliable source told someone who works here, but I don't know if I believe it. He just doesn't look like the type, you know?"

 

"Well what exactly does the ‘type' look like, Anne?" Chuck asked. "Anyone could have been a hustler and just come out of the muck with the help of a fabulous job and a generous boss."

 

"Yeah, but at what cost?"

 

They all tittered at the innuendo, before Jessica spoke again. "I would buy him. Shit, he's fucking beautiful! No way he was a street-rat. If anything, I would say that he would have worked for some high-priced agency that only catered to exclusive tastes."

 

"But, do you believe it is the question," Chuck pressed.

 

"It's possible, but does it really matter at this point. He's gotten the job," Jessica hedged.

 

"But did he get it caliber-based, or based on blow jobs?" Chuck asked.

 

"Chuck, it sounds to me like you're a little too interested in finding out," Anne said, snickering behind her cup before taking a sip of the hot liquid.

 

"So what if I am? Maybe he'll be willing to let me sample him, if for nothing else than to pay for my silence."

 

"You wouldn't," both Ann and Jessica gasped at Chuck's suggestion.

 

Chuck thought about it for a moment. "No, I wouldn't. But a gay boy can dream, can't he?"

 

"As long as it remains just that," Jessica warned. "Look, I don't think we should tell anyone. You know this is how rumors start, and if we're found at the bottom of it, I could lose my internship; you two could lose your jobs. You know that bitch Cynthia frowns upon office gossip, especially if it has a possibility of reaching Brian. From what I can tell, Cynthia is very fond of Justin, and his new assistant, Daphne, is too. I doubt she would put in a good word if we're caught slandering one of the Executives."

 

"Okay, Jessica. Sadly, but surely, you've made your point. We all agree not to say anything," Anne said, giving her word to include Chuck.

 

Laura looked on with satisfaction, knowing good and well that, at least, one of the three would break their word within the hour. Operation "Fuck that Blond Up," was in full swing and she couldn't be happier, especially since no one would know that she was at the bottom of the flock directing her little gaggle of gossipers to tarnish the halo on Kinnetik's newest angel boy. Of course, she had two more ganders to set to flight before she could ruin Justin's reputation so thoroughly that he'll be tossed back into whatever damn gutter which he climbed from. Things were definitely looking up!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Harriet Bartier dropped by Kinnetik on the spur of the moment. She wanted to check in on the campaign, but more importantly, she needed to speak with Justin. Stopping at the reception desk, she asked if Justin was available. While she was waiting, Daphne happened to be walking by.

 

"Mrs Bartier, how are you?" Daphne asked the woman she knew from the country club, who was always so friendly.

She wasn't like a lot of the other older members; the ones who looked down on the servers and other people who worked there like they were less important because they did service work. She treated everyone equally. Her attitude was that everyone worked, some people just made more money at it, and having money did not make you a better person, but treating people well did. It was an outlook on life that both she and Justin always respected and lauded as a right way to live.

 

"Daphne dear, what are you doing here?"

 

"I work here as Justin's assistant."

 

"That's wonderful! Then maybe you could tell me if he is in, and if I could see him? I have some news that I think might make him happy."

 

"Come along with me. I know he doesn't have any meetings right now, and he's in his office."

 

As they approached the office, they could hear Brian and Justin talking. They were going over an upcoming campaign, and discussing changes needed in the boards. Harriet touched Daphne's arm softly, and signaled for her to be quiet. She wanted to see how the two men interacted with each other when they were alone. She smiled at what she saw.

 

There was nothing blatant or overt, just small touches and looks. She was hoping that she had been right when she saw the looks that passed between the two at her first meeting with them. Harriet had always had a soft spot for Justin, and wanted him to be happy and well; to find someone worthy of guileless young man. Despite the difference in ages, she thought the two men were perfect for each other. Breaking the silence, she knocked on the open door. Justin looked up and smiled in welcome.

 

"Hi, Mrs Bartier. Did you come to check out what we have done so far?" The blond asked.

 

"Partly. But Justin, I need to speak with you alone, if I may," She answered with a smile.

 

"Sure. Come into my office," he said, looking at Brian and raising his eyebrows, wondering what she could want.

 

Once in Justin's office, Harriet took an envelope out of her purse and handed it to Justin. Justin looked at the envelope, instantly recognizing his mother's very stylized script. He started to tear up. He missed his mother and sister terribly, but was afraid to contact them because of Craig. Opening the envelope Justin pulled out the handwritten letter from his mother,

 

My Darling Justin,

When Harriet told me she'd seen you, I was so relieved. Please know that I never believed one word that Craig said against you. I have known for a long time that you were gay. I want you to know that with Harriet's help, I have finally left him. I now have my real estate license. Molly and I have a small apartment right now. As soon as the divorce is final, we will get something better. I am doing things this way for now to try and get the most I can out of the bastard. He moved one of his whores in the day after we left.

I have tried to find you. I often rode along Liberty Avenue with Harriet, looking for you. I hope you can forgive me for not being there to protect you when he threw you out. I hope you know that I NEVER would have allowed him to throw you out that way. I don't even know what really happened that day. I would really love to meet with you, and see for myself that you are alright. Molly and I both would. Harriet told me where you work, but I didn't just want to show up there in case you don't want to see me.

I love you and hope you will call me,

Love You Always,

Mom

 

Her new address and phone number were at the bottom of the letter.

 

By the time he finished reading the letter, he was sobbing openly. And Brian was there, ready to hold the man who was becoming so important to him. Harriet had sent him in as soon as Justin started reading the letter. Once Justin had calmed down, Harriet went back in. Justin thanked her and gave her a hug.

 

Harriet told Justin, "I called Jen as soon as I got home the other day. She was so relieved to know that you were safe. When she first found out what he had done, she came to me. We knew that he was lying, and prayed that you were safe. She and I had looked for you. I even hired a private investigator, who couldn't turn up anything. So we would drive up and down Liberty Avenue, figuring that it was a likely place for you to be. You hid yourself very well, young man! So she and I devised a plan to get her free of the bastard as soon as possible with minimal damage done to you and Molly. We had no doubt that if she left him before she had her affairs in order, he would take action against the most precious people in her life.

So she got Craig to pay for her to go to real estate classes, telling him that she needed something to take her mind off of things. One thing Craig never learned about women is that even when the men think they can leave us with nothing, we know how to build and feather our own nest, while exercising patience and letting them believe they are keeping the upper hand. As soon as she got her real estate license, she moved Molly and herself into a small apartment while Craig was away on a business trip. She used his credit card to not only secure the apartment, but furnish the place. She also found the ATM card to your bank account with a post-it note attached, reminding him to change the code and name on the account for Katrina Martin, his mistress of the month at the time.

Jennifer took the card and her ID to the bank, removing Craig's name permanently from the account. She thinks that he forgot that she was also listed on the account as a secondary guardian. You had amassed quite a bit, saving your allowance over the years, Justin. He had withdrawn from your funds heavily, which Jennifer believes enabled him to keep his affairs from her. She knew, and Molly had confirmed it and told her that it was probably the real reason your father had thrown you out in addition to you being gay. When he got home from his business trip, he found divorce papers on the dining room table along with her keys. I made sure she has the best divorce lawyer in Pittsburgh,"

 

"Thank you so much, Mrs Bartier. I'm so glad my mom had someone she could go to, and that at last she's away from him,"

 

"Justin, please call me Harriet. And I was glad to help as I've always hated your bigoted sperm donor. I don't know how such a horrible person could have a child as talented and wonderful as you," Harriet told Justin with a smile.

 

"You should call your mother. You could invite her to dinner to show her how well you cook," Brian told the younger man.

 

"You're coming to dinner, too,"

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yes, I want her to meet you,"

 

Brian nodded, knowing it was important to his young lover.

 

Remembering that Harriet was there to see the preliminary boards, Justin apologized for keeping her waiting.

 

"Not at all, Justin. In fact, I'll come by in a few days, I don't need to see them yet." Kissing Justin's cheek Harriet left the office.

 

Daphne, who had been silent thus far, stood there with tears in her eyes. "Harriet is right that you hid yourself well, Justin. I was saving up to do the same thing she did,"

 

"Daphne, run and tell Harriet that I would like her to come to dinner as well... and you too. I know that you and Molly have a lot to catch up on. It will be this Saturday,"

 

Daphne did as she was bid and Brian looked on, realizing that although Justin had support around him, he still wanted Brian to be a part of it. It was humbling, but he needed to ask anyway. "You're sure you want me there, Justin? It's already going to be emotional enough seeing your mother and sister again, after such a long time. Harriet and Daphne are one thing, but your lover?"

 

Justin smiled. "Is that what you are? My lover?"

 

"I'm your boss right now, but outside of here, you decide what I am,"

 

"Then I guess that there is no time like the present for you to meet the people who mean the most to me, outside of you. So Lover, are you ready to meet my family?"

 

Brian bit his lip, wordlessly acknowledging what Justin saying that word did to him. Walking over to the door, he closed and locked it, then placed the palm of his hand against it for a moment before turning back towards Justin. Grabbing the younger man's hand, Brian placed it over his heart, and drew Justin closer with his remaining strong arm. The blue eyes that were regarding him held respect, caring, and some other unidentifiable emotion that Brian wouldn't examine too closely. He pressed his forehead to Justin's, watching as the blond's eyes closed of their own volition at the initial contact.

 

Brian watched as the slight pink stain of arousal colored Justin's skin, and couldn't stand a moment more of the anticipation. Tilting his head, Brian took Justin's lips furiously in a kiss that left no doubt as to his feelings about what Justin had said and done. Justin had included Brian in his world, firmly planted him by his side to face whatever would come of his family gathering. He couldn't help the pride he felt in that moment. It wasn't easy for either of them to trust another, but somehow, together they were learning to. And that was a life lesson that Brian was becoming more and more grateful for everyday.  

 

Justin called Jen. As soon as he said hello, she started crying.

 

"Oh Justin, how are you? I've missed you so much!"

 

"I've missed you too, Mom. Don't cry, I'm fine. What I'm calling about is that I would like to invite you and Molly to dinner on Saturday... Great, I'll text you the address. Mom... there's someone I want you to meet, too. Yes, he's very important to me... okay, I'll see you on Saturday." Justin hung up the phone with a smile on his face.

 

"Well, who's this important person that you want your mom to meet?" Brian asked, smirking at the blond.

 

In answer, Justin grabbed his ass and whispered, "I'll show you when we get home,"

 

Cynthia interrupted with a knock on the door, "Your meeting is all set up in the conference room, Brian,"

 

"Well I guess we need to get some work done," Justin said, picking up his sketchpad and following Brian down the hall, surreptitiously watching the ass he would be plundering later.

 

Once the meeting was finished and they had signed on another client, Brian and Justin headed back to their offices. Once they had everything set for the day, the two decided to head out early. As they were locking up their offices, they saw Lindsay walking down the hall, she was smiling. Justin looked at Brian and whispered, "Irish, remember what we talked about. You're important, and I'm here with you," Brian nodded in understanding.

 

"Brian, I really need to speak to you, if you have a few minutes," Lindsay said sweetly. Turning to Justin she said, "And you also, if I may. I'm sorry, but I didn't get your name the other day,"

 

"It's Justin. And we were just leaving. If you come by in the morning, we don't have anything scheduled until 10:30. We can see you before that. Now if you'll excuse us, we have plans," Justin told the blonde as they walked around her and out the door.

 

Once they got in the Jeep, Justin turned to Brian. "We could have stayed and talked, but I wanted to give you the upper hand. Do you have any idea what she wants?"

 

"Not a clue. Except that she was being very polite, so I think she may want to apologize for the other day,"

 

"Well she can just do it tomorrow then," Justin told Brian as the older man leaned over to kiss the blond, before starting for home.

 

Lindsay walked out of Kinnetik with her head up, smiling at Cynthia on her way out. But inside, she was fuming! How dare that snotty fucking hustler speak for Brian?! She knew though that she had to keep her cool around the interloper, had to ‘make nice' according to Mel. She definitely had to get back into Brian's good graces. They needed his co-operation, they needed him to agree to father children for them. She would have to be sweet and polite to both of them, if her plan was going to succeed.

 

The next morning, Brian and Justin were sitting in Brian's office going over the latest boards when Cynthia buzzed Brian on the intercom, "Brian, Lindsay is here, and she would like to speak to you and Justin,"

 

"Send her in please,"

 

Lindsay walked into the office carrying a tray of croissants. Smiling sweetly she set the tray down on the table.

 

Brian, remembering that Justin didn't want Lindsay to know he lived in Brian's building introduced the younger man, giving her only his first name, "Lindsay, this is Justin, he's the new Executive Artistic Liaison for Kinnetik. Justin, this is Lindsay Peterson,"

 

"Lindsay," Justin acknowledged with a nod.

 

"It's nice to formally make your acquaintance, Justin. First, I want to apologize sincerely for what I said to you, and about you, at the diner the other day. I had absolutely no right to say those things and for that, I am truly sorry. I hope you'll accept my apology," Lindsay said to Justin, looking at him and trying to hide her contempt for the younger man.

 

"I'll accept it, for now. Please see that it doesn't happen again," Justin answered, using his ingrained WASP manners.

 

Hearing Justin's answer and the controlled way he spoke, Lindsay realized that she needed to find out more about this young man. He didn't speak like someone who would be an ordinary hustler. He spoke like a well-bred WASP. It was a bit of information she would have to give some major attention to later. The only well-bred person in Brian's life to date was her. She intended that it remain that way!

 

Turning to Brian, she used the placating tone that she always employed on him whenever she had pissed him off in the past. "Brian honey, I'm so sorry for yelling at you at the diner. I never should have said those things to you. You know I love you and care for you. And no, I shouldn't have listened to what Michael was saying about you and this sweet young man that you have working for you. Please forgive me?" Lindsay simpered, as she ran her hand along his arm.

 

Pulling away from the annoying woman, Brian answered, "Fine Lindsay, but if I get even one inkling that you have said one word against Justin to anyone, you and I will have a serious problem. And you need to stop trying to run my life! What I do and who I'm with are my business, and my business alone, and not up for discussion, with ANYONE. Do I make myself clear?"

 

"Crystal clear, Brian. And I really am very sorry. About everything," Lindsay told him.

 

"Well, if there is nothing else, I have a meeting coming up soon and Justin and I need to finish going over the boards for it. So if you could please show yourself out," Brian told her, wanting to get rid of her so he and Justin could have a few minutes alone before their meeting.

 

"Of course, Brian. And Justin, it was a pleasure meeting you and again I'm sorry for what happened at the diner," She said as she headed for the door.

 

"Goodbye, Lindsay," The men told her as she left.

 

"Well Brian, what do you think she wants?" Justin asked as walked into Brian's arms.

 

"I don't know, and right now, I don't care," was Brian's answer as he kissed Justin, moaning into the younger man's mouth. After making sure the door was locked, the couple moved to the sofa for a makeout session before their meeting.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As usual with their collaborations, Eyeconics loved the new campaign, complimenting Justin on the much improved quality of the boards. Justin had also made mock-ups of how the ads would look when printed in the magazines. Once the ideas were signed off on and contracts were signed and notarized, Brian and Justin decided to leave for the day.

 

"So Azure, what should we do with the rest of this beautiful day?" Brian asked smiling at the beautiful man next to him.

 

"Let's go home and get changed and then I have a surprise for you, Irish," Justin answered. He had everything ready to go at his apartment for the surprise.

 

Once at the loft building, Justin took the keys to the Jeep and told Brian to go to his loft and put on his jeans and a tee shirt and come back down when he was ready. Justin quickly changed and put what was needed in the Jeep, so he was all ready and waiting when Brian came back down the stairs. Justin told Brian to get in the passenger side and close his eyes. Trusting the younger man, Brian did as he was told, leaning back and relaxing as Justin drove. After about twenty minutes, Justin parked and told Brian he could open his eyes. Brian looked around and they were near a pond in the woods.

 

"We are having a picnic and then we can feed the ducks. You need to relax and take time for yourself, Irish. I want to see you act like a kid and not think about work for a while,"

 

Pulling the picnic basket and a blanket out of the back seat, Justin laid out the blanket and they both sat down. Justin had made grilled chicken salad with his fresh made dressing. He had also made chocolate covered strawberries for dessert, which he had found out from Cynthia were one of Brian's favorite guilty pleasures. When Brian saw them he turned his head, trying to control his emotions. Justin saw and reached out and turned Brian to face him.

 

"Irish, we've talked about this... no hiding. What is it?" Justin told the older man.

 

"It's just that you make me feel... so special. It's just hard to accept. Being cared for is not something I'm used to feeling, unless it's being done to get something from me," Brian answered, trying to blink back the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

"You are special, Irish, and you're mine. It makes me feel good to do things for you, because you deserve it," Justin answered, kissing the coral lips of his lover. "Now let's eat, because then, we're going to feed the ducks," Justin giggled at the shocked look on Brian's face. "Didn't you ever feed the ducks in the park, Brian?" In answer Brian just shook his head, causing Justin to frown and wish he could find a way to help this wonderful man relive his childhood and experience all the things that he had apparently missed out on. He would just have to find a way to do that, even if he had to drag the man around to every ‘kid thing' he could find.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

By Saturday morning, Justin was a nervous wreck. He wanted everything to go well at dinner. He had not seen his mother and sister in over a year, and he didn't want his mom to be disappointed in his place or his cooking. Brian saw that his lover was nervous and walked over, wrapping the younger man in his arms and kissing his temple.

 

"What do you need me to do?" Brian asked, hoping to calm him.

 

"Dinner is already going in the crock pot. Tell me that this dinner will go okay. I know my mother will ask how and where I lived. I just don't know if I want her to know. She already feels guilty enough about what happened when Craig kicked me out, even though she doesn't know the half of it,"

 

"Justin, you tell your mother whatever you are comfortable with her knowing. She loves you and I seriously doubt she would judge you for things you really had no control over. If you choose to tell her everything, the only one I think she will judge and be furious with is Craig. I think she will just be happy that you are alive and safe," Brian told the blond as he kissed him.

 

Taking Justin's hand, Brian leads the younger man into the bedroom.

 

"Azure, how about you let Irish help you to relax and get rid of some of your nervousness?" Brian asked him with a shy smile.

 

Justin's eyes glowed with lust as he reached for his lover, pulling his head down for a kiss as he unbuttoned his shirt. Pushing the shirt off Brian's shoulders, Justin leaned forward and bit Brian's nipple before soothing it with his tongue. Brian arched his back, wanting more contact with that amazing mouth and tongue. Then, remembering that he was supposed to be helping the younger man relax, Brian quickly relieved both of them of the rest of their clothes. He then lifted the blond and laid him in the center of the bed. Justin smiled up at his lover as he hovered over him.

 

"Turn over, Azure. I want to worship that beautiful ass of yours," Brian commanded.

 

Following Brian's directive, Justin turned on his stomach, loving when Brian gave him pleasure this way. The older man kissed and licked his way down the creamy white skin of Justin's back, pausing when he got to the swell of that glorious ass. Kneeling between the blond's spread legs, Brian gripped the twin globes in his hands before carefully parting them. Leaning down, he inhaled the erotic scent of his Dom, loving that he was giving him pleasure. Licking and biting at the rosebud hole, Brian moaned. Rimming Justin aroused him like nothing else! Concentrating on bringing his lover to the brink this way, Brian continued. Finally, Justin couldn't take any more, so, grabbing the lube and a condom, he tossed them to Brian.

 

"Irish, if you don't get your hard beautiful cock ready and fuck me now, you will not be allowed to come for the rest of the weekend,"

 

"As you wish, Azure," Brian responded, tapping Justin's hip so he would turn on his back.


Lying back and wrapping his soft furry legs around the older man's hips, Justin gazed into the moss green eyes of his lover as the man slipped into his always-tight hole. Quickly finding their rhythm, the men rocked together, wrapped in each other's arms. Once sated, they lay together quietly, each hoping that this reunion with Justin's family would be a happy one.  

 

 

Chapter 8 by Lorie

 

 

CHAPTER 8

 

At five o'clock Justin's buzzer rang. Answering it, he was pleased to hear his little sister's excited voice. "Hey, Justin! I hope your place looks better on the inside,"

 

Brian laughed at the young girl's comment, while Justin just shook his head.

 

Brian opened the door and Justin made the introductions. At the instantly besotted look on his little sister's face, he was very happy that Brian was gay and she was still only thirteen. Jen seemed very impressed by the beautiful man that had seemingly captured her son's heart.

 

While Justin and Daphne were showing his mother and sister around, Harriet asked Brian if she could speak with him privately. When they walked out in the hallway Harriet told Brian that she was telling him this alone first because she didn't want to upset Justin.

 

"Brian, I overheard a couple of your workers talking the other day when I was coming into the building. They were talking about Justin being a hustler, saying that is how he made his money and how he acquired his job at Kinnetik," Brian started to say something but Harriet held up her hand. "I don't care what Justin had to do in his past, if it's even true. What I care about is that that wonderful man in there managed to survive, and that he is now with you and safe. As far as I'm concerned, if what I heard is true Craig Taylor should burn in hell for the part he played in causing his son to have to do something like that.

The reason I'm telling you is because Harlan also told me the same thing. I'm certain that he heard it from that trollop, Laura, since they have been screwing around for quite a while. I also wouldn't doubt that she is the one who started the rumors at Kinnetik. I would never presume to tell you how to run your business, but you might do well to get rid of her, especially if you can prove she started that particular piece of gossip. Who knows what she would also allow to leak out, just to strike out at Justin, and therefore, you. Having not seen his mother or sister in over a year, I know Justin is probably nervous enough about this dinner and that is why I'm only telling you about this. If you want to inform him about this, it might be better to wait until later,"  

 

"Thank you, Harriet. He is nervous about this dinner. I think it's because he's not sure how much to tell his mother about the last year. I really need to find out who started the rumors, and get rid of that person. I will not have someone like that working in my company. Justin has been through enough. And yes, I will tell him about this later. I wouldn't want him to overhear something like that without being ready for it. I'm glad it hasn't changed your mind about using Kinnetik,"

 

"Brian, you are each amazing men individually, but together you're fucking incredible! I would be a stupid idiot to go anywhere else. And I am definitely not that, regardless of whom I married. I also really hope your personal relationship together works out, too. You are beautiful together," Harriet told him with a smile.

 

Brian looked at the older woman quizzically. "How do you know? We've been pretty careful, or so we thought,"

 

"I have eyes. Anyone that really pays attention can plainly see that you two belong together,"

 

Brian gave Harriet a hug and the two headed back into Justin's apartment. Justin raised an eyebrow when the pair came back in. "Sorry, Justin. I had a business question for Brian and didn't want to talk business at dinner, so I dragged him into the hall," Harriet told Justin before Brian could open his mouth.

 

All throughout dinner, Brian sat listening to the conversation around him, joining in when he had to, and watching Justin enjoy having his family, Daphne, and Harriet, around him. But Brian's mind was on Kinnetik, and the vicious bitch causing trouble. He had no doubt in his mind that Harriet had spoken the absolute truth about Laura's involvement. He was a great reader of people and could usually tell when they were lying to him. Undoubtedly, Harriet has many reasons to have a personal vendetta against Laura Wright; her involvement with Harlan while keeping her son on a leash being the primary amongst them.

 

But he had learned that Harriet was also fair in her judgement, and would not unduly cause trouble within his business without a valid reason. What he really wanted to know though, was how did Laura obtain her information? Who had dared to so openly condemn Justin, without knowing all of the facts? He couldn't see anyone else within Kinnetik- even that slimy bastard, Kip Thomas- starting the rumor, based solely on hearsay. They were all much too cautious and fearful that it would get back to Brian, but it seemed Laura had no such compunction.

 

No, there was some way that she had gathered the minimum of fact, while having none of the foundation for why Justin hustled in the first place. He would make her tell him how she found out about Justin. But first, he would make her answer his questions. Brian tuned back into the conversation just as Jennifer began to ask questions.

 

"So how did you two meet?"

 

Justin looked at Brian, who shrugged his shoulders in response. "I had actually met Brian a while ago, although I didn't know his name until the day I filled out the job application to be an errand boy for Kinnetik,"

 

Molly rolled her eyes. "I mean Jesus, Jester, could you be any more vague? Did you meet him when you were hustling?"

 

Justin coughed hard at Molly's question, shifting his panicked eyes towards Brian.

 

"Molly," Jennifer admonished a puzzled looking Molly. "What kind of question was that to ask? And how do you know what a hustler is anyway?"

 

"Oh please, Mom, I'm thirteen. Besides I've heard the rumors about Justin. Some of them I have been able to stop by openly calling Dad a liar. But the others, I couldn't, since I didn't know if they were true or not,"

 

Justin, having recovered his initial shock asked, "Rumors? What are you talking about, Molly?" He saw the speaking glance that Brian had exchanged with Harriet, even though it was over in a flash. Removing his dinner napkin from his lap, Justin threw it on the table beside his plate and stood up. "Out with it! You all seem to know something and are trying to keep it from me,"

 

"Justin..."

 

"Mom, I'm a grown man and have the right to know what is being said about me so that I can protect myself. I've been doing that for well over a year now,"

 

"I know that, sweetheart. It's just..." Jennifer tried again.

 

"It's just what? You know what, fuck this! Yes, Molly. I was a hustler- the operative word being was. Craig made damn sure that I wouldn't have any other means of supporting myself, and fixed it so that I couldn't even go to any of you for help. Even now, I can't go to you for help because I won't allow you to risk yourselves for me. So now that I have answered your question, lil' sister, it's time you answered mine. How did you find out?"

 

Molly took a deep breath. "I heard it at the club from Myra Thomas,"

 

"And who is this Myra that you seem to be so chummy with?" Jennifer asked.

 

"I'm not chummy with that low-bred pain in the ass!" Molly exclaimed.

 

"Language!" Jennifer, Harriet, and Justin all yelled at the same time.

 

"What? Justin said ‘fuck' and you all didn't bother to yell at him,"

 

Before anyone could respond, Daphne snickered and Brian laughed aloud. Yes, the situation was serious. But it was still funny to witness the Country Club set, live and in person. Clearing his throat, Brian turned to Molly.

 

"Don't worry, I say fuck all the time, too. It's a noun and can mean a person, place, or thing. Don't let anyone tell you differently,"

 

"Cursing shows a lack of decorum and vocabulary," Harriet said scornfully, although Brian was right. She had been known to say it occasionally, and always within its proper context. But she couldn't let Molly get away with such an atrocity; she was still in finishing school after all.

 

"I beg to differ, Harriet. Cursing doesn't display either of those things, but comes in handy when another word or paradigm of the English language simply would not do," Brian said.

 

"Good point, Brian," Daphne muttered, barely able to contain her amusement. Justin huffed at the on-going semi-debate.

 

"Look, can we please get back to Myra Thomas, and why she feels it's her job to spread rumors about me?" Justin was clearly out of patience. "Irish, you will not encourage or applaud Molly's vile language. The same goes for you, too, Daphne. Mom, Molly, and Harriet, I apologize for my momentary loss of control. Now Molly, who is Myra?"

 

"I'm not surprised that you don't know her, Justin. Her family is what those of our set call ‘new money'. Anyway, her brother and a friend of his both work for Kinnetik. Apparently, she heard the two of them talking about what a whore you are, and heard them say that you could only have gotten the job if you were..." Molly glanced at her mother, not sure she should repeat what she had been told.

 

"Go on, Molly. Since you are quoting what you heard, I'll let you curse again just this once," Jennifer reassured her.

 

Molly nodded and continued, "They said that the only way you could have gotten your job is by letting Brian fuck you. And since you had already probably had several dicks to date, why should Brian's be any different. When Myra said it to me, I slapped her and she went running to her brother and his friend. I found Mom, who was sitting with Harriet and Ms. Beatrice Wilsher, who had already spoken to Myra several times about how disrespectful she is,"

 

"Although I don't condone violence, Mollusk, thank you for defending me," Justin said quietly, walking over to kneel in front of her and hug her.

 

"Oh Jester, don't you think I would have done so a long time ago? We're a team; we always have been. I couldn't stop Dad, but I could certainly stop that ill-mannered troll, Myra. I think she'll think twice before ever speaking to me again, for any reason. She's already been black-balled at school,"

 

Justin had to smile at his sister's gumption. At first, she had started off as totally annoying but as the years went by, Molly had become his best friend next to Daphne, and more recently, Brian. She was very mature for her age and was always protective of him.

 

"Any idea who her brother is?" Daphne asked. She had been planning to tell Justin about the rumors she happened to overhear yesterday. But she also knew that he was nervous about this dinner, so she was waiting until it was over.

 

She had caught on to the whispering and snickers as she was passing by the watercooler. Jessica had told her the entire conversation of what she, Anne, and Chuck had heard through the grapevine. Daphne had tried to pull the information out of the girl with verbal diarrhea, after telling her that there was no truth to that lie. Jessica didn't squeal on her ‘source' of information, but she did ask Daphne what made her so damn sure that it wasn't true. That's when Daphne decided to give Jessica a little history lesson of the relationship between her and Justin Taylor, followed by an official write up and a trip down to Human Resources. Cynthia had laughed and told Daphne that it looked like Justin had found his very own Cynthia-clone.

 

"Another low-grade loser named Kalpernius, spelled with a ‘K'. I mean seriously, could one person or family be any more pretentious? Anyway, the idiot shortened his name to Kip, thinking that it sounded better. Schmuck!" Molly answered.

 

Brian's eyes darkened as did Justin's. Daphne sucked her teeth loudly, following it with an ‘UGH' of frustration. The twin looks of fury etched on Brian and Justin's faces spoke volumes, but it was Daphne's words that captivated the other three occupants. "Low-life motherfucker! I can't believe that the little slimy worm has the gall- the audacity- to malign Justin's character! That little fuck is going to pay. I want him fired. He's already been given enough chances and saying that his work is mediocre would be a fucking compliment!

"After you fire him, Brian, I want first dibs on making sure that he never uses that fucking belly button he calls a penis AGAIN! Ignorant, self-serving, back-lying bastard!" This went on for several minutes, while Brian and Justin watched. Jennifer was hard-pressed not to laugh, as Harriet and Molly guffawed aloud when Daphne called the man a "Crater-faced cunt". Justin knew he had to stop her, or he would be trying to get Daphne out of jail. No sooner than he had the thought, she was already making her way to her purse.

 

"Daph, put it down,"

 

"No, Justin. That bottom-feeder bitch has crossed a line that I'm going to make sure that he NEVER EVER crosses again!"

 

"How? By committing vehicular manslaughter? No,"

 

"You're just going to let the fucker get away with this, Justin?"

 

"See Molly, I told you ‘fuck' was a noun," Brian interjected to the laughing girl.

 

"Brian! A little help please?" Justin ordered. "We can't let her leave,"

 

"Why? If I knew where the idiot lived, I would be going after him, too," At Justin's blank stare, Brian sighed deeply. "Okay Xena Warrior Princess, your bosses are ordering you to let them handle it," When she started to argue, Brian raised his voice, shocking everyone in the room. It was so forceful that even Justin took notice. He took another deep breath before continuing, "No, Daphne. You're not going to commit murder. And no matter how much I agree with you in this moment, we have to be practical. This started in the professional setting of Kinnetik, so it should end there, as well. Do you happen to know who the friend is?"

 

Harriet gasped. "There's only one person that I've seen him sniffing around constantly at the club. Or I could say it's the other way around. There's no other reason for that bitch to sniff around gay tail,"

 

"Laura Wright?" Justin asked. He couldn't keep the sneer from his face as he spoke her name.

 

"One and the same my boy," Harriet confirmed. "Well Brian, I imagine that you are going to have a meeting. I should like to be included in it,"

 

"Harriet, you can't be. This is company business and as a client, you shouldn't be privy to the inner issues within the company. It upsets the natural order of things and destroys trust between the company and the client,"

 

"Ordinarily that would be true, Brian. And I applaud your efforts to shield me from such dastardly behavior within the vaunted halls of Kinnetik. However, I have a personal stake in this. That she-wolf has been allowed to wreak too much havoc on the unsuspecting members of high-society. She's an undesirable, as is the whole Thomas family. As a member of the elite, it is my duty to see that all social pariahs get what they deserve and restore greatness to our well-ordered society. I assure you, they will not be missed,"

 

"I would also like to be there, Brian," Jennifer Taylor spoke up. "I agree with Harriet about restoring order to our social circle, but I have a bit of a different stake in this, as well. You see, Craig's secretary- one of the whores who he was cheating with when he tossed my son out- is Laura's mother. She's spent years learning how to be a tramp from the bitch that Craig is about to marry. Well, I would also like to hear her come clean of her lies personally. I want to watch her lose everything that she has schemed so hard to get. Not only that, but I think it's poetic justice to watch her fall into the same ditch she tried to dig for Justin,"

 

Looking at all the expectant faces, Brian was tempted to plead with them one more time to let him, Justin, and Daphne handle it. But looking at the determination on Harriet and Jennifer's faces, he knew that he didn't stand a chance. "Fine. But you will keep your words to a minimum and furthermore, do not even think to get out of your seats and scratch her eyes out. If I want to watch women's wrestling or a cat fight, I'll go to a bar or turn on the fucking TV. Am I clear?"

 

"As crystal," Harriet concurred.

 

"I'll do my part, too," Molly said.

 

"No, Molly. You cannot skip school and come to Kinnetik," Justin said.

 

"Who said anything about skipping school? This will be a day that I actually want to be there. Who better to let Myra know that the privileged world as she has only recently begun to know it, is about to disappear along with Kip's job? I think Kip will be getting his ass handed to him more than once, especially when his mother finds out that her club membership has been revoked. I'm sure that Myra will be only too happy- or should we say not happy- to relay it all. Nope! I wouldn't miss school for the world on Monday!"

 

Snickers became full-blown laughs as they all took in the smug look, so reminiscent of her older brother that they couldn't help it. Looking over at Justin, Brian could see the similar sparkle in the matching pair of blue eyes. Laura and Kip were definitely in for a rude awakening courtesy of the little blond Taylors.

 

Later that night, while relaxing on opposite ends of the sofa, Justin looked over at Brian. "Brian, we need to talk," Justin announced seriously.

 

Brian was suddenly nervous. Did Justin want to cancel their new relationship? Was he angry that he had not been told immediately about the rumors? Brian felt like his stomach was twisting. Feeling very unsure, he looked down at his hands, not sure he wanted to face the younger man or hear what he had to say. Reading Brian's posture and countenance, Justin reached out and lifted Brian's chin until the older man was looking into his eyes.

 

"It's nothing bad. Why do you look like that?"

 

Shaking his head and lowering his eyes, Brian answered, "I thought you wanted to end our arrangement. Or that you were upset that I hadn't told you about the rumors immediately,"

 

"No, I don't want to end our ‘arrangement' as you call it. I don't want you to keep things from me, but I assume that is what Harriet told you about when you went into the hall. I can understand why you didn't tell me right away, but I hope you were planning on telling me tonight," Justin stated.

 

Brian nodded. "I was planning on telling you when everyone left. I knew you were already nervous and I didn't want to make it worse. I wouldn't have kept something like that from you,"

 

"Good. I want us to always be honest with each other; that is the only way a relationship like this can work. Now, as for what I want to talk to you about, this is not going to be what a lot of people would call a typical Dom/sub relationship. I will not use corporal punishment on you and I will not order you around, or try to run every aspect of your life. I want this to be a different type of experience for you. Are you familiar with the term Sensual Domination?" When Brian shook his head in the negative, Justin continued.

"In a nutshell, and the way it will apply to us, is that it's all about pleasure and worship. I want you to learn to feel, to know that you are worth more than you think. If I feel you need to be punished, it would be in the form of denial of pleasure rather than spanking. We may use suede or leather floggers later, but not to punish, only to enhance your feelings. Also, I like to use different toys, but as with the floggers, they will be used for pleasure. I will always make sure you know what I'm going to be doing, and you need to let me know if anything makes you uncomfortable or triggers any unwanted memories," Justin explained to Brian, who finally looked calm and relieved.

 

Justin reached for the older man, needing to hold him. Brian moved into the arms that were fast becoming the one place that could always make him feel safe and cared for, more so than anything else in his life. Brian loved to sit this way, Justin would move to the corner of the sofa and Brian would sit between Justin's legs, resting his head on the blond's shoulder while wrapped protectively in his arms. More often than not, they would thread their fingers together, each man taking strength from the other. Many times they would sit like this in the evenings and watch a movie or just sit quietly, relaxing after a long day. Sometimes Justin would ask Brian to stretch out so he could sit in the chair and draw him.

 

Justin's large chair became a favorite place of theirs, too. Justin wanted to know more about Brian's past, but was trying to get it slowly because he didn't want the older man to be stressed about it, or feel like the blond was demanding to know everything at once. In fact, the only reason Justin wanted to know was to try and erase anything he was able to from his lover's past, and make his future happier. When they talked about Brian's past, they usually did it wrapped around each other in the extra wide chair. It seemed to make Brian feel safer to be in the enclosed space with Justin. There were times Brian got the urge to get something out, without even being asked. When he felt that way he would just go sit in the big chair as a signal that he needed Justin to hold him and listen.

 

Sunday morning, Justin woke up alone in his bed. Feeling the cold sheets next to him, he started to worry. Did Brian get upset and leave now that everyone knows what Justin was before he started working at Kinnetik? Was the thought of that too much for the older man to handle?

 

Suddenly he heard what sounded like a deep sigh, coming from the living room. Getting up quickly, he saw Brian sitting in the big chair looking like he had been crying. Justin rushed over and Brian reached out for him. Climbing behind Brian in the chair, Justin held him close and stroked his lover's hair. Kissing Brian's temple Justin asked, "What is it? Why are you so upset? Is it because everyone knows that you hired a hustler to work for you?" Justin asked, hoping that was not the reason for this.

 

"What? No. Not at all. I don't give a flying fuck about your past, or about what anyone else thinks about who I hire. Truth be told, I've probably done a lot worse things. But if it makes them that uncomfortable, then they can find another fucking job," Brian answered, upset that he had worried the blond.

 

"Then what is it? You know I'm here for you and you can tell me anything," Justin said, holding his lover tightly.

 

"I was thinking about the meeting tomorrow and the rumors. More specifically, where they could have come from. Remember the day before we went to the diner?"

 

"Yes,"

 

"Michael and Lindsay came by the office that day. Michael is well known for having no filter between his brain and mouth. No matter where he is or who is around, he says whatever comes into his fucking head. If he was spouting off to Lindsay about you, anyone could have overheard him, especially Laura. I think she spends more time outside smoking than she does actually working. And her ears would certainly have perked up at this one-up on her ‘supposed rival'. That's probably how the whole thing got started,"

 

"Irish, you can associate with anyone you choose. I would never tell you who you can have as a friend. That said, I can't figure out how people who claim to be your ‘best friends' can talk about you and treat you so shabbily, and you let them. It tears me up inside to see you hurt and we have known each other only a short while. They have been in your life for years, and yet don't seem to have the slightest regard for your feelings. Can we talk about this? Because I would really like to hear your side of things,"

 

"Azure, I probably should have told you all of this before now, but here goes... I met Michael when my family moved to this side of Pittsburgh at the beginning of high school. The first day of school, Michael was getting picked on and called names by some jocks, and I stopped them from putting him in a locker. I punched the biggest one and knocked him out. After that, no one would try to fuck with me, so Michael started following me around and we became friends. My home life was for shit, as you know, and I spent a lot of time at his house, especially when my old man went on a bender and I needed to heal from the fallout. Michael decided that he was in love with me, but I saw him only as a friend. I loved him as a brother, nothing more. His house was a safe haven and his mom and his uncle were always good to me. I always had a place to go to escape. If Michael and I did stupid stuff, his mom would blame it on me. But at least, I didn't get hit, so I figured it didn't matter; that the illusion of safety was worth the small sacrifice.

Lindsay and I met in college. We were just friends. We both knew we were gay. Or at least that's the way I saw it at the time. Well, one night after a party, we ended up back at my place drunk and stoned, and well... I fucked her, then passed out. After that, she started to get the idea that maybe we could be a ‘real couple'. I told her that it was only a midsummer madness, nothing more. It took a while, but we managed to stay friends, especially after she met her partner Melanie. I don't know when or why it happened, but somehow both Michael and Lindsay have this warped idea that they need to run my life for me; that I'm incapable of having a life outside of them. The way they treat me... well I never really thought much about it, until I saw the way you and Daphne are with each other. That's when I realized that the way they treat me is the same way Jack did, except for the fists,"

 

By the time Brian finished, there were more tears running down his face. Justin just held and rocked him until he calmed down. Justin then led the brunet back to bed and proceeded to worship and comfort him until, sated, the pair returned to sleep until early afternoon.

 

Upon waking for the second time that day, Justin made them food and they lounged around the rest of the day, playing games and watching movies.

 

Chapter 9 by Lorie

 

CHAPTER 9  

 

Monday morning at Kinnetik was busy. There were no client meetings scheduled, so Brian was determined to get to the bottom of everything TODAY. Charles Hogan, as head of the Ad Department, and Murph, as head of the Art Department, were both called on Sunday and asked to prepare performance evaluations for the people in their respective departments. They were not given any information on who was specifically being looked at, or why this was happening. Brian didn't want anything clouding the reviews. He wanted their honest opinions on the employees.

 

Cynthia and Daphne were setting up for the meetings about to take place. Because it was a meeting with the Department Heads, pastries and coffee were set out to make the atmosphere a little less formal, for their benefit. Daphne had suggested that. She figured that the group of men and women knew that on an ordinary day, being invited into the vaunted sanctuary of the CEO was not necessarily looked at as a ‘good' thing. Having a little fortification would get them all of the information they would need, without causing undue stress.

 

When Brian and Justin walked into the Executive office, they both looked stunned. Justin, as usual, headed to his office to wash his hands before stopping by the table for one of the proffered treats.

 

Humming softly after tasting the fluffy croissant he had doused in butter, he asked, "Whose idea was this?"

 

Brian seconded the sentiment asking, "Who decided to turn my office into restaurant central? Justin, finish the one you have in your hand before heading for the cinnamon rolls, would you?"

 

Justin and Cynthia chuckled, but heard Daphne respond, "I did, Brian. In WASPland, we've learned that it is always better to feed the innocent first before slaughtering the guilty. You'll get a much more accurate depiction of what you need to know about Kip and Laura if you make the participants of this inquisition less nervous."

 

"I agree with her, Brian," Cynthia piped up. "If we treat this as a simple conversation, instead of specifically stating that we are gathering key evidence to fire Kip and Laura, you'll find that Charles and Murph will be on board with you. I mention them specifically, because this affects their departments the most. I can give my review of Kip Thomas for you right now, although I know that it won't be on the official record. He's a no-talent hack. You've unwittingly fixed more accounts of his than anyone else's. I also had Ted look into the man's background a little more. It appears that a friend of his was working for Carnegie Mellon at the time of his application here. Kip paid him to lie and say that he graduated with a degree, and he also forged the transcripts that were presented to us. When Kip stopped supplying him money after said friend was fired from CMU, the transcripts were reverted back to the original ones, showing that Kip had obtained a ‘D' in one of the required courses for a degree and dropped out, instead of taking the class over. That lie alone is grounds for dismissal,"

 

Daphne took up the tale from there. "There were also several instances of sexual harassment lawsuits, which never panned out for some reason or another. I know this because after what Molly told us on Saturday, I called a former classmate of mine and Justin's to find out how Kip's family had risen so high in the country club ranks so fast. According to September Sutton, Kip's money was made in the form of payouts to keep all of the lawsuits quiet. They were from big name corporations who couldn't afford the public fallout. Luckily, you aren't the type to fuck your employees, unless they are blond-haired, blue-eyed, come with an amazing ass, and that you have been friends with for a good little while," She finished the last statement with a wink, causing everyone within the room to snicker.

 

"Yeah, I can see your point Little Miss," Brian said as he rolled his eyes. "So what we have is a sniveling, lawsuit-throwing snake. Although he's still going to be terminated, I still want to hear Charles' opinion on Kip's job performance. I know it's for shit, but I need to know where the man's loyalty lies. I had seen them out at Babylon numerous times together before Justin came to work here. Now, whether they were ‘together' or not, I'm not sure of. But I think this meeting will answer that specific question, even without it being directly asked. I will get rid of anyone necessary. This is my company and I will not have disloyal employees,"

 

"Do you think we should do them together?" Justin asked.

 

Cynthia laughed. "That question can be taken so many ways, I won't even comment,"

 

Justin blushed. "I mean, should we do Charles and Murph's interviews together? I personally think that if Charles is looking to lie for Kip, Murph will be able to refute it,"

 

Brian thought a moment, but it was Daphne who responded. "It's actually not a bad idea, Jus. Besides the food and the informal atmosphere, having someone else there without any personal stake in the outcome will also help get to the bottom of things,"

 

Justin handed Brian a cup of coffee. "That's what I was thinking. Since we all purport to have the same goal of excellence within the company, Charles should be more than forthcoming with the truth of Kip's evaluation,"

 

"You don't mention Murph's integrity. Why?" Brian asked, just as Ted, along with his secretary and her assistants walked in.

 

"My reasoning is simple, Irish. I know for a fact that Murph can't stand Laura. But like you, he is fair in his judgement of people and their work. He'll answer your questions honestly and directly, but without the express intent of putting her out of a job,"

 

Daphne agreed. "I've heard him tell her on more than one occasion to do the job you were paying her to do, or find employment elsewhere. She tends to think that she is better than everyone else and could do a much better job of running your company than you can. Laura tries to employ intimidation tactics on everyone around her. She even tried it with me, thinking that I was the new errand runner that replaced Justin. I had no problem telling her where to go and how fast to get there... professionally, of course,"

 

"Oh, of course," Brian snickered. He was well-acquainted with Justin's version of ‘Go to Hell and get fucked', having seen him in action during the meeting with Lindsay. Although cool and professional, his eyes glared at her. Daphne, being raised within that privileged world, surely would have acquired the same skills.

 

"I assure you, Brian, that if I could have tripped her, or knocked her two front teeth out and still retained my job, I would have. However, I found the use of tried and true entitlement methods proved much more useful. It also helps that my parents are of the upper echelon within the WASP nest, along with Justin's- a place where Laura is steadily trying to fuck her way into. The fact that she has seen me around the halls with Harriet Bartier works quite well in effectively putting the bitch in her place, and letting her know exactly who she is dealing with,"

 

Brian watched as Daphne's usual liquid brown eyes became hard as flint when she said that last part, and couldn't stop the small tremor that raced up his spine. He had an instant understanding that she was even angrier than Brian or Justin at Laura, and it was because of what the bitch had done to her best friend. Why couldn't he have a best friend like that? But as he thought about it, he realized he did. They came in the form of Justin, Ted, Cynthia, Daphne, and now Harriet Bartier, who had just come into the room with Jennifer Taylor in tow.

 

Both women had on their battlegear: Donna Karan and Anne Klein suits, with matching clutches and shoes in Red and Black equipped with pearls around their throats and on their ears. Each lady adorned a diamond ring that would make even Elizabeth Taylor envious. They were wealth and dignity personified. Brian suddenly almost felt bad for Kip and Laura to have to face these two dames of Pittsburgh's high society.

 

Justin whistled low as he came to stand with Brian. "Locked and loaded, huh Moms?"

 

Jennifer chuckled. "Well, you know what you've been taught, Justin... always, ALWAYS, hold the upper hand and look the part while doing it. By the way, nice suit Honey. Is that Boss?"

 

"None other, Mother," Justin smirked before giving his mom a smile which lit up the entire room.

 

When Jennifer smiled back, Brian couldn't help but remark, "Fuck! Now I see where he gets it,"

 

"Justin's beauty and brains were certainly inherited from his mother," Harriet said. "Was there ever any doubt?"

 

Brian shook his head, still dumbfounded by how much mother and son resembled each other. Pure ‘Sunshine' didn't even come close to describing them.

 

Ted cleared his throat. "I think we'd better get started, Brian. Mindy and her crew are set up behind the screen over there. Daphne and Cynthia, the ladies wanted me to thank you for thinking of them. They have agreed to an alternate break schedule so that they all can enjoy the refreshments while also resting their fingers."

 

"You ladies have thought of everything," Justin said, appreciating the two women who really kept him and Brian on track.

 

"I smell WASP training at work," Harriet said, taking her seat at the side of the table with her coffee in hand. "It's always nice to see the inbred manners of finishing school firsthand,"

 

"It helps to have had good examples to follow," Daphne said as she nodded at the two women, and took her own seat.   

 

Everyone was just getting situated around the table. It was decided that Brian and Justin would sit at the opposite ends of the table, with Cynthia and Daphne sitting with their respective bosses. Jennifer and Harriet thought they would sit together near the middle of the table, but on opposite sides as if having tea at the country club. Ted would be nearest those being interviewed, sitting with Kinnetik's in house attorney, Mark Gruber. The two of them would be going over each individual's contract and giving Brian and Justin a brief overview of the stipulations within each as such.

 

Charles and Murph arrived right on schedule. After being offered to partake of the refreshments, which they did, each sat in the allotted chairs at the center of the conference-sized oblong table.

 

Brian greeted each of the men before he began. "As you know this is a performance review of each member of your teams; the goal being to weed out those amongst your staff who are not performing up to par. Due to Kinnetik's growing clientele, we can't afford to keep those who aren't pulling their fair share of the weight. Nor can we continue to abide those who are being contrary to the overall goal of Kinnetik, which is not only to make money, but to provide the client with a full-service, individualized campaign based on their company's needs. I've asked one of our more lucrative clients to sit in on the meeting, so that she can see firsthand how serious and committed we are about obtaining the best in our business in order to provide the best service for our clients. As you know, I believe in operating in excellence and I expect the same of everyone associated with me, and this company. So far this year, we have picked up thirty-two new clients. I would like to bring in new staff, but only after we get rid of the dead weight."

 

"I think we should start with the Ad and Marketing departments, which you and I are in charge of Charles," Cynthia said. "I have decided to forego my opinion at this time, based on the fact that I don't work with each of the individuals on a day-to-day basis, except to answer their questions pertaining to HR and to run their ideas by Brian to see if they are worth developing. That said, I think you would be the best person to answer Brian's questions, since you run the departmental meetings and are able to see what each Ad Exec is capable of. All I ask is that when we are finished here, your part in this evaluation remain confidential and that you remember who you answer to should that mandate not be followed. Rest assured that as Brian's second in command, I have his full support to fire your ass."

 

Ted, as well as the rest of the occupants of the room, had to cover their mouths or turn their heads to hide their smiles. Cynthia looked like an unassuming angel, most of the time. But if anyone tried to double-cross Brian Kinney, she turned into an avenging angel and wasn't afraid to make the perpetrator's life a living hell. Ted often said that if the Devil -meaning Brian- wore Prada, his second in command could be called ‘Satan in Stilettos.' Like Brian, Cynthia was not a person to play head games with.

 

"Do either of you have the preliminary evaluation forms we asked you to fill out?" Ted asked, then further explained. "We would like to compare what you have written to the data collected on each of your staff."

 

Both men handed Ted the forms, even while Charles asked Cynthia, "Why the speech? You and I have no problems,"

 

"No, we don't, and I would like to keep it that way. I just want to make it clear to you that while you are the departmental supervisor, I am still your manager. I may not work with you all, but I still know what happens within the department. So the best thing you can do for all of us, especially yourself, is to be completely honest in this meeting. Your job depends on it, regardless of the semi-informal setting. The same goes for you, Murph. I trust you have no loyalties, unless it's to yourself and Brian?" Cynthia always had a no-bullshit approach that was largely appreciated by Brian and Ted. Allowing her to conduct the initial interviews was definitely in the best interest of Kinnetik.

 

"No, Cynthia. I came over with you and Brian, so my first loyalty will always be to me and Kinnetik. Surely you know that?"

 

"I do, Murph. But I also have to allow that people change, and so do their goals. It's always been my job to watch Brian's back, and I take that position very seriously,"

 

"Well, now that we have cleared this up, we have a lot to cover. So let's hear about the departments," Brian said, grateful that at the very least, Murph was still with him and what he was trying to do. He wasn't sure about Charles. But like Justin and Daphne had alluded, they would all know of his agenda by the end of this meeting. Either way, Kip was going to be terminated; it was just a matter of whether Charles would join him on the unemployment line. "Charles, as Cynthia said, we'll start with you,"

 

Ted moved down the list and compared what Charles had said about each one of the employees, asking for confirmation here and there to see if Charles remembered what he had written down. When it came to Kalpernius Thomas though, he noticed a few discrepancies and called Cynthia's attention to them. "You might want to take a look at this, Cyn, before you ask your next questions,"

 

Cynthia took the proffered sheet of paper, handing it to Brian before speaking. "Charles, how well do you know Kip? Not within the office, but outside of it?"

 

"I've known him since our first year in CMU,"

 

"I didn't ask how long you've known him- although that information is appreciated- but how well you know him,"

 

"I can't say that I know him all that well. I mean, we've met up at Babylon a few times over the years. But outside of that, we don't really socialize all that much,"

 

"And how would you view his work?"

 

"He gets a little overzealous at times, but he has potential," He watched as Daphne got up from the conference table, and went into Justin's office. She was adorable in her pantsuit. As a bisexual man, he couldn't help but notice how attractive she was, and decided that he might approach her later about getting together.

 

"Potential? Does that mean you would recommend him for another job, as in let's say...yours, perhaps?"

 

Charles looked puzzled for a moment, wondering why Cynthia was being such a bitch. They had bumped heads occasionally, where she pulled rank, but nothing to warrant the accusations shooting from her eyes. "I don't know what you are implying, Cynthia. But I assure you, that whereas I would not say that Kip is able to do my job, or is even close to that, with the right guidance he might make a good Ad man,"

 

"Let me cut to the chase then, Charles. Are you aware that you are listed as Kip's emergency contact in the event that something should happen to him? You are also listed as his beneficiary on his company matched pension and insurance,"

 

"No, I wasn't aware of that,"

 

"Then that means that he or someone he knows forged your signature. Is that what you are saying?" As Charles fidgeted in his chair, Cynthia continued, "Here's what we know already as fact. Kip lied on his transcripts- had them forged actually- in order to obtain a job here. You have been seen cavorting with him during your off hours, which is not so much of a problem as you lying about it. In addition to that, he is also listed on your own documents. So what does this all spell out to you?"

 

"I'll go clean out my desk,"

 

Daphne came back into the room, just in time to hear the last of Charles' sentence. "There's no need to, Mr. Hogan. If you would be so kind as to see the security man on your way out, he'll have your personal belongings waiting for you and will escort you from the building,"

 

"What? What is the meaning of this? You can't fire me in this manner!"

 

"Actually no, Daphne cannot fire you. But I did warn you at the beginning of the meeting that I could," Cynthia said. "So if you need the words to know that your employment with Kinnetik Enterprises is terminated here they are: You're Fired! Ted, please hand Charles his severance packet. Just so we're clear, Charles. You will find a very generous severance package that Brian has authorized. You will retain your medical benefits for the rest of the year, or until you find a new job. Your severance pay will be a third of what's left of your salary, which is still pretty good and should at least, keep you on top of your mortgage payments for the next three months if you spend it wisely.

Although we are terminating your employment, we will be happy to give you a recommendation to work elsewhere. Be assured that, had you not lied, you would still have a job, as this has nothing to do with your own performance. However, we cannot and will not keep people whose integrity will have to be called into question. Good luck in all of your endeavors." Cynthia folded her hands and nodded to the security guard, who had come quietly into the office, signaling that Charles Hogan's time at Kinnetik was indeed finished.

 

"Come with me, Mr. Hogan. I have your things. I will need your ID badge, Sir. I also must advise you that your database and all access to Kinnetik-linked programs are being recoded so your former passcodes will not work," Frank, the Head of Security advised the still-stunned man.

 

After the door was closed behind them, all of the occupants within the office took a moment to collect themselves. Letting Charles Hogan go was not an easy thing to do, or witness. He was genuinely well-liked and respected among the Kinnetik staff from the Executives to the janitor. It was the reason his severance package was so good. But if they were going to maintain a level of excellence, this particular cut had to happen.

 

Justin was the first to speak. "I think before we do anything else, Kip needs to be dealt with,"

 

"I agree with that," Daphne said. "There is obviously some personal history between them. For all we know, Charles could have sent Kip a text, warning him of what this meeting is about,"

 

"I'm all for it," Brian said. "But I would like to make a switch in how this is handled a bit. Murph I would like you to stay, since what will come out of this will possibly affect one of your employees as well. As for terminating Kip, I want to handle this personally,"

 

"Are you sure, Brian?" Ted asked, wondering why the sudden change in hierarchy at the last minute. Brian usually reserved that particular job for himself only in the case of a campaign fuck up of magnanimous proportions. Other than that, it was left up to Cynthia or himself to take care of the rest.

 

"Yeah, I am. This should definitely come from me, so that Kip understands that there will be no lawsuits at the end of this. He will not do to me what he has done to seven other major corporations throughout his ‘career'," Brian stated firmly.

 

Ted nodded his head then, understanding why Brian had decided to take the hands-on approach with this particular termination. Kip Thomas was notorious for saying that he was promised certain things, in exchange for sexual favors. Since Brian made it a point not to engage in any flirty or otherwise suspect behavior- Justin Taylor notwithstanding- Brian could not be accused of any wrongdoings in that quarter. Furthermore, the fact that this is happening in front of a Board, so to speak, will prevent the young man from trying to spout any claims to contradict what actually happened within Brian's office.

 

"Cynthia, would you go and get Kip from the employee lounge please? No doubt that wherever you spot Laura Wright, he will not be far away. I swear for a gay man, it's disgusting how he is always sniffing her ass," Brian groused.

 

"Thank you, Brian, for a visual that I did not need or ask for,"  She left the office, grumbling about bosses with no boundaries, decency, or filters.

 

"Irish, look at me," Justin spoke softly over the table to him. When he met the sympathetic blue eyes, he was amazed to see understanding in them. Justin was always so good at reading him, where others seemed to fail. "This is not your fault and it wasn't an err of misjudgment on your part. So stop it, and let's get all the rest of this over with, okay?"

 

"I'm fine, Azure. I promise. It's just... overwhelming for me right now,"

 

"Of course it is, but that's what happens when it's time to achieve the next level. At least, that's what you've been telling me,"

 

"That's true. So let's get Kip out of here, so that you can deal with that bottom-feeding bitch. Then I think we can all call it quits for the day," Justin smiled his brightest smile at him, and knew they were both thinking the same thing.

 

There were interrupted by a brief knock on the door. A rather tall, slender and attractive dark-haired man entered the room. The small smirk graced his lips as he could feel every eye at the table regarding him. All but his mother nodded in appreciation; she just smiled brightly at him. He couldn't help but grin at her as she scolded him lightly for being late. The sparkle in his blue eyes said just how seriously he took her reprimand.

 

"Sorry, Mom, but you know how Dad is,"

 

Harriet laughed up into her son's face. "Let me guess, Glenn. Your father is having one of his legendary temper tantrums because I won't follow his mandates, hmm? Well he'll probably be about to have a coronary by the time you and I leave here this afternoon."

 

"You're actually doing it?"

 

"You bet your tall ass, I am. Harlan went entirely too far. So I guess this also lets you off the hook as far as marrying his mistress,"

 

Glenn smiled widely then. "The only reason I ever would have married that whore was to avenge you, Mother. The trick doesn't fall too far from the tramp, I guess. Well that's especially true in Laura's case in regards to her own mother. Some people are just born whores... she's certainly one of them," He turned to look at the other occupants in the room. "Jen and Justin, it's nice to see you both- especially together in the same space- again. Daphne..."

 

Daphne shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "Glenn, how are you?"

 

"Still puzzled as to how I ended up with Laura in the first place. Care to answer that one?" He asked her, his voice suddenly harsh.

 

Daphne narrowed her eyes at the man before her. "As you can see, this is not the time or place to have this particular discussion. I am working and you are here to deal with your fiancee. So whatever beef you and I have, grill it up and eat it, because you and I are not dealing with this TODAY... and maybe not ever,"

 

Glenn leaned over to look the diminutive woman with the enormous personality and lightning-quick temper in her eyes. He was satisfied as he watched her swallow hard, even as she stood her ground toe-to-toe with him. He smiled his most charming smile at her and lowered his voice, although everyone could still hear their conversation clearly. "Rest assured that when this is over, Ms. Chanders, you and I will have an all-too-important conversation about secret romances, leaving people behind and giving no indication of returning, and of a marriage proposal that could have saved us the shit we're witnessing right now. But most of all, we're going to talk about how to begin again without the interference of Daniel Chanders and Harlan Bartier. Are we clear?"

Before she could even form the words to answer, she found herself lifted up as her lips were claimed, until a low hum escaped from her throat. Glenn set her back on her feet, relishing the dazed expression in her eyes, before speaking again. "I'll take the response to that kiss as a ‘yes'," Then he sauntered over to sit behind the partitions in the far corner of the room, feeling every eye on his progression.

 

"Out of curiosity, my dear, but why didn't you take Glenn up on his offer? You know that I thoroughly approved of you, and it's obvious that his feelings haven't changed," Harriet couldn't help but wonder what it was that she missed about all of the animosity and passion displayed.

 

"My father threatened to have him arrested, because although we are only six years apart in age, he was still an adult according to the law. It's no secret that my parents wanted me to go to med school, and if I was with Glenn, there was no way for them to force me to do it. Their plan still backfired though, since Justin had gone missing at the time, and my focus was on graduating in order to get the hell out of their house, by any means necessary,"

 

"You know you could have come to me," Harriet sighed. She genuinely did like Justin and Daphne.

 

"I know Harriet, and that's where Harlan and his harlot stepped in,"

 

Before Harriet could find out the details, Cynthia returned with the lying little toady in tow. Brian took a look at the man who had worked for him for quite a while, and yet had managed to fool them all. Talk about a false sense of security! But it was more than about that in this case. Although Kip providing false information to obtain employment would be overt cause of his severance from Kinnetik, the fact that this obsequious little shit had aligned himself with Laura Wright was just abhorrent to him. Kip had been here longer than Laura, and knew how Kinnetik operated; knew what would be tolerated and what would not. Again, he was thankful for Cynthia and Ted's forethought to keep him from ever being alone with the walking sexual-harassment-head case, who was preparing to take a seat next to Jennifer Taylor.

 

"Stand," Brian commanded. "You won't be here long enough to even make yourself comfortable. I have a few questions for you,"

 

Kip's eyes widened. Y... yes, Sir?"

 

"How long did you think you would be able to get away with it?" Brian asked, glaring at Kip.

 

"Get away with what, Brian?" Kip asked, trying to sound confused.

 

"It's Mr. Kinney to you, Kalpernius," The way Brian sneered the man's name caused Kip to cringe. Good, Brian thought. He's going to cringe a whole lot fucking more! "And since you are trying to act as if you have no idea what I am talking about, how about you just come clean with every underhanded thing you have done since you began working here. Begin with what you did to get hired,"

 

"I really don't know what you are talking about, Mr. Kinney," Kip said, his voice trembling underneath its grave and sickly tone. The permanently hoarse sound made Brian almost want to offer him a throat lozenge.

 

Brian couldn't help the passing thought, which slipped out. "Your throat sounds like you've been giving too much head to get ahead, Kip. Is that what your intent was when you decided to apply here?" Brian kept a straight face, looking straight at the man before him, and mindfully ignoring the gasps and snickers surrounding them. "I find it complete and utter bullshit that you were able to think you could get away with shit work for so long and expect no one to delve into the history of why you've left so many other Fortune 500 companies,"

 

"My employment with those companies wasn't supposed to be a matter of public record,"

 

"They became ‘public record' when you applied here, and I began to search for grounds to terminate you,"

 

"Please, Mr. Kinney. Don't fire me. I can't afford to lose my job. My mom and sister are depending on me for their living. I'll do anything you want,"

 

Brian smirked. It was what he needed to hear from the whining man. "Tell me why you and Laura Wright have been whispering personal business and innuendos among the staff about the Executive Artistic Liaison, when you knew that it could damage his career within the industry,"

 

"Will it save my job?" Kip knew better than to deny that he was guilty of helping spread the rumors. Apparently, Brian knew a lot more than what anyone thought. It was then that he looked at the other occupants around the table, noting with chagrin that Harriet Bartier was there, along with Jennifer Taylor. He knew that no matter what he said or did at this moment, his position within the country club set- not that he had much to begin with- was well and truly over.

 

"We'll see if what you have to tell us is worth your job," Daphne started to say something, but Brian shot her a stern look. With a mutinous expression clouding her countenance, she settled back into her chair and let Brian continue his inquisition. "Well, let's have your side of things,"

 

Deciding to be completely honest in the hopes that it would make a huge impact on Brian's decision, Kip began his tale. "Laura came to me right after the first meeting with Murph. She was angry because the Bartier account- an account that she and I had worked on together- was being given to someone else. As you are well aware, the bonus for that account alone is worth seventy-five grand, which would have been shared equally between the two of us. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement, but it was nothing compared to Laura's reaction. At first, I advised her to leave it alone- there would always be other accounts to win. But this was more than that to her. A week after Justin met with the Art Department to show them the latest software, Laura came rushing up to me to tell me what she had overheard outside while she was having a cigarette,"

 

"And what was it that she heard?" Brian asked, clearly losing patience but realizing that he needed to hear everything. Kip's voice was making him sick and he was ready to rush things along so that the man would kindly stop making his ears bleed.

 

"Two of your friends were out there about to enter the building. I asked her how she knew they were your friends and she said that they were always in and out, or hovering around outside, calling the front desk to either make an appointment or to see if you were in a meeting within the office. They would also call to badger the receptionist when she would tell them that you were out of the office or out of town, constantly demanding a phone number where you could be reached immediately on some type of faux emergency," He shrugged before continuing. "Anyway, according to Laura, the short dark-haired one said that Justin was the hustler he'd stopped from trying to steal your wallet a while back. The tall blonde woman had said that she hoped you knew better than to have a hustler anywhere near Kinnetik, because he would try to solicit your clients. In short, Laura had found the tool she needed to discredit Justin and demanded that I help, since by the time this was over, she planned to have his job and I would be her assistant."

 

"So Laura planned all of this by herself. But what was your part in it?"

 

Kip adopted a smug look. "I was to find out everything I could about Justin Taylor's background, once we figured out that he was Craig Taylor's son from the WASP set, and the one that Laura had been looking for, as she was asked to do by him. I had overheard Daphne and Mrs Bartier the morning she had come to visit Justin. Daphne extended Justin's dinner invitation to Mrs Bartier, and told her that she looked forward to catching up with Jennifer and Molly. They talked a little bit about Craig Taylor, but mostly the conversation was about Laura's fiance Glenn and his father, Harlan. Mrs Bartier asked Daphne if she considered calling her parents... and that was the end of the conversation from my end, since they went outside. I went to tell Laura what I had overheard, and she gleefully told me that she had pretended to be on a phone call when she was outside the break room where Anne and Chuck were sitting, waiting for Jessica to return with their coffees,"

 

"Thank you for all of that information, Kip. I really do appreciate it," Brian said. He turned towards the partition. "Mindy, is that affidavit typed up?"

 

Instead of answering, the short gray-haired woman came from behind the little section of the office, smiling into Kip's eyes. She never did like the man much. He always reminded her of a sick squirrel. She felt the same about her boss' friend Michael, only comparing him and his voice to a sickly weasel. As far as she was concerned, the two men were cut from the same opportunistic cloth and she couldn't wait for both of them to get their comeuppance. "Here you go, Brian, all ready to be signed and notarized. Mark, you did remember to bring your stamp right?"

 

The attorney looked at her and gave a small smile. "Yes, Mom," She was his second mom, having been raised from an infant in a same-sex home. Although Mark was straight, he fought hard for equal rights within the gay population. After hearing Justin's story, he began to look into some other things on the young man's behalf. This situation with Laura Wright was coming up at a perfect time, and would help make the cases for the lawsuits Brian had asked him to file that morning.

 

"Good boy," Mindy cheerfully. Turning back to Kip, she stated, "Now, Mr Thomas, I need you to sign here and here. This is just a statement that you have told us the truth about the agreement between you and Ms Wrong... oops, I mean Ms Wright. Mark will notarize it for you as soon as you are done,"

 

Kip hurriedly grabbed his pen from his front lapel pocket, not bothering to check the documents for accuracy, before signing in the two places she specified. Ted then spoke, as well.

 

"Mr Thomas, I also need you to sign here and here. This is another affidavit, stating that you were privy to hearsay spouted by the person whose mouth defamed the character of Justin Taylor," Kip again signed in the places indicated. Ted smiled. "Thank you. Brian, the floor is all yours, again,"

 

"Thank you Mindy, Mark, and Theodore. Kalpernius Thomas, it is my absolute pleasure to tell you that you are FIRED! Not only because you denigrated a member of the Executive Staff here at Kinnetik, but because you falsified information upon hiring, which, in and of itself, is grounds for termination. Frank will escort you to the front desk where your belongings are waiting. Let this be a lesson to you: ALWAYS read the fine print of any contract you sign. Now get the fuck out of my office,"

 

Kip stood there in shock for a moment, absorbing all of what Brian had said to him. He couldn't believe that he was being fired. "But wait! You said that if I told you what you wanted to know, that you wouldn't fire me! I'll fucking sue you!"

 

"On what grounds? The fact that you don't listen very well? I never said that I wouldn't fire you. In fact, you just signed a transcript stating that you were aware of everything that was said in this meeting. What I did say was for you to tell us what you know and we would see if it was enough to save your job. It isn't. I don't get into bed with people I don't trust, and I don't work with them either. You're dismissed."

 

"Oh one more thing, Kalpernius," Harriet said. "As a legacy member of the Silver Springs Country Club and Spa, your membership, and therefore your mother's and sister's memberships as well, have been revoked. As you are well aware, the fee for the year is non-refundable. Her possessions, if she has any at the club as well as yours and Myra's, will arrive at your home within the hour. Have a nice life," She turned her head from him and proceeded to began a conversation with Brian as if the young dejected man was a nonentity. She was sure that the same obscurity they had tried to inflict on Justin Taylor would now come full-force to bite them in the ass. "Next monkey with the too-long tail... Laura. How should we handle the harridan?"

 

Chapter 10 by Lorie

 

 

CHAPTER 10

 

"So Murph, based on all that you've been hearing so far, how do you think we should proceed?" Justin asked him.

 

"I vote for firing the bitch. Not only because of what she is trying to do to you and your reputation, but based on her job performance alone. She doesn't deserve to be here at Kinnetik,"

 

"Was she always like this?"

 

"What? You mean mean-spirited, insubordinate, arrogant, entitled, bitchy-beyond-measure, and an outright shrew?"

 

Brian snickered. "From the sounds of it you just described Lindsay Peterson,"

 

Murph nodded his head. "With a healthy dose of Michael Novotny thrown into the mix, Brian. Laura is quite frankly, a troublemaker. She isn't happy unless there is some drama going on that is centered around her. If it isn't, she creates situations which assuage the narcissist within her. Case in point, the boards... you give instructions one way, specific and to the letter. Instead of following those mandates, she takes it upon herself to change them. Now ordinarily that wouldn't be a bad thing, IF she actually included what you wanted in the original design the way Justin did when he redid the assigned work. No, in Laura's mind she is a star, and all of you, including the CEO of Kinnetik, are beneath her. We don't want or need that kind of person working for us.

In the last weeks, if you would look at the productivity chart, you will see that there is a new creative vibe flourishing within your art department. Under Justin's tutelage, they are starting to spread their wings a bit more, which is helping to turn out some amazing campaigns. They even have an unspoken competition with Marketing and have been bringing in accounts, then choosing which of the Ad Execs they want to work on their campaigns with. Kinnetik is flourishing, but as you said, it cannot continue to do so with dead weight like Laura Wright.

And in my personal opinion, she sucks the life out of any room, simply with her overbearing personality. I've already caught her several times trying to destroy several of the other artists work because they are better than her, both as people and professionally. The worst thing though is that her jealousy of Justin knows no bounds. If you decide to keep her on, it will not only be a mistake, but I fear that someone is going to lose their temper and end up with a murder charge for killing the bitch!"

 

"Well then, I think we'd better bring your staff in one by one to corroborate your findings. I don't want any further instances of backstabbing, once we drop Laura. But I would hold off on bringing Jessica, Anne, and Chuck in until last, along with Laura. I believe in the right to know one's accusers; so that portion of the meeting should become very interesting," Justin said, before taking a sip of his coffee.

 

Over the next hour, Justin and Daphne with occasional add-ins from Brian and Cynthia, questioned the staff about the atmosphere within the art department and the current rumors circulating therein. By and large, all twelve members of the staff that were questioned related not only how they felt their work and concentration was improved when Laura wasn't among them, but that when she was she bred chaos. In terms of the rumors, they had each heard it at different times in different places and from different people, but one portion of the story remained the same... Chuck and Anne had stated that they heard it straight from Laura's mouth, and they had told Jessica immediately after hearing it. There wasn't anyone else mentioned at the time; only that Laura had found out.

 

Murph thanked them and reminded them that the contents of the meeting were to be kept strictly confidential, and that those found in violation would be terminated immediately. His speech was followed-up with the signing of affidavits before the staff members were free to return to their workstations in the Art Department.

 

Justin ran a hand over his face, having listened to all the venom with which his past had been spewed. He had to believe Murph's assessment that Laura was maligning him in order to get ahead in her career. He couldn't fault her for trying. But there just had to be more to it than simple status within the hierarchy of Kinnetik. He knew there was only one way to find out, but first he needed to calm down before he strangled the bitch who caused all this.

 

Seeing Justin's agitation, Brian rose from his chair and moved steadily towards Justin. Extending his hand, he pulled Justin up from his chair. "We'll be right back," he said to the group still discussing the best strategy to deal with Laura Wright. Harriet had moved behind the partition to speak with Glenn further, while everyone else in the small space opted to move about, to rest their fingers and stretch their legs.

 

Brian opted to take Justin into the Executive washroom. Within the elegant space, Brian began to gently massage the tension away from Justin's shoulders, hearing the younger man moan softly in response. Applying his thumbs to the base of Justin's neck, he kneaded the knots forming there slowly and with sure, circular motions.

 

"Feeling better?" he whispered into Justin's ear, while continuing his ministrations.

 

"Hmm, trying to. But honestly, I want to push Laura through a window into oncoming traffic,"

 

"Funny, I was thinking of tying her to one of the office chairs and doing the same. But since I like the chairs, I'll need to find another way,"

 

Justin chuckled at Brian. It always amazed him that Brian could make him laugh in the middle of extremely tense situations. "I know what I have to do. But most of all, I have to remember to stay in complete control of myself, no matter what she says or does,"

 

"You'll do it. Not only because you have to, but because she isn't important enough to give your control to,"

 

"You're right," Justin sighed deeply. "Let's get back. Although I would love nothing more than to sink into you right now, duty calls. But when this is over..."

 

"Uh-uh... my turn to take care of you, Azure,"

 

"You already do,"

 

They left the washroom and headed back into Brian's office to see complete pandemonium almost ready to break loose. Apparently, Laura couldn't wait to be called so she had barged in without invitation or warning. Brian and Justin walked in to hear Daphne letting her have it with both barrels.

 

"I swear your brain must be in your twat. You were told to wait. Now I see why you are known to be insubordinate,"

 

"I don't know who you think you are, Daphne. But I do know that you hold no rank here higher than I do. You're just the whore's lowly assistant. What? Do you wipe his balls for him after he services the boss?" Laura spewed.

 

Daphne narrowed her eyes. "At least he still has his own balls, unlike the ones you seem to have taken from Harlan and Craig. How does it feel to have the sloppy seconds from your mother? What? Has her pussy become so loose from spreading it around so much that you had to offer yours, so that Craig would keep her? You call Justin a whore? How dare you? You're low-bred filth, without the common decency or the morals of an alley cat. Just a common woodpussy... and that cheap eau de toilette perfume proves it. Not only does your attitude stink, but so do you. You might have actually thought to brush your teeth and wash your stinking ass before coming back to work after riding Harlan during your lunch break. I'm sure that anyone who has ever been within a mile of the man would recognize the smell of his stale sweat,"

 

Harriet cackled. "Now you know why I let the bitch have at him. I couldn't take the stench of his sweat and cum anymore. But she really is right, Laura, the least you could have done was showered and combed your hair. I imagine that my husband was extra rough with you today. Do you know if my attorney had been by the house today before you met him for your midday fuck?"

 

"Yeah, he was by. And Harlan is rightly pissed off at you, you old bat! Divorce papers? Really? And what are you going to do when he takes everything? He's going to have Glenn declare you incompetent, and take over your fortune,"

 

"I sincerely doubt that, Laura. Glenn knows everything, including about your false declaration of being a virgin. The only holes on your body that probably -notice I did say probably- haven't been touched by cock or cum would be your eyes and ears, though judging by that touch of redness in your eye right now, I wouldn't doubt that you have one of Harlan's little swimmers in there, too,"

 

"Oohh you just wait until Glenn hears about the insults you hurled at me, you old bitch!"

 

Right then Glenn came to stand by his mother, much to the shock and chagrin of Laura. "I've already heard everything, Laura. In fact, I knew everything long before you just spewed it out. By the way, you didn't fool me into thinking that you were a virgin. It's just that I have been in love with someone else for a long time now, and I know for a fact that she doesn't approve of me messing around with loose women such as yourself. Right, Daphne?"

 

For the first time all day, Daphne delivered a real smile in Glenn's direction. "That's right. And we'll talk about all the rest of this later, since my bosses are back and we can finally put the rest of this unfortunate episode behind us,"

 

Brian was still fighting to regain his composure from hearing Daphne cuss out Laura. For a such proper young woman, Daphne would sure make one hell of a street rat. "Since it is apparent that Laura disobeyed direct orders... again, Daphne would you do the honors of bringing in the others for this portion of the meeting. I agree that it's past time this matter was taken care of,"

 

Justin, once again, resumed his seat at the opposite side of the table after grabbing himself another cup of coffee, this time from his personal stash in his office. He asked Ted to hand Brian his, as he began to thumb through each of the employee records that the accountant had placed in front of him. Once the other three staff members arrived, Justin addressed them all.

 

"Apparently, there is a two-fold purpose to this meeting. We already know which among you is considered the dead-weight, based solely on job performance. But there is also the matter of a vile rumor concerning my past that has surfaced. I have already asked which of you four started the viciousness. But I want to hear your side of the story. Since I'm a big supporter of the right to know one's accuser, I decided to bring the four of you in at one time, to get to the bottom of this."

 

"You're not anyone's boss, so I don't know why you are even speaking to any of us," Laura said, venom dripping from her voice.

 

"And now I understand why Daphne accused you of having a twat for a brain," Justin retorted. "Although Murph is your immediate boss... for now... I am still able to pull rank as a member of the Executive Team within Kinnetik. Now will I do that? Only in extreme circumstances, like this one. So yes, Laura. Whether you like it or not, I have EVERY right to speak; to you, at you, or with you. Although after today, I wouldn't bank on you and I having any conversations beyond ‘May I take your order please?' at the local McDonalds. Now Jessica, as the intern, I would like to hear your version of events,"

 

The young woman cleared her throat, before before beginning to speak. Once she did, Justin was able to get a much clearer picture of Laura's machinations from what Kip told them earlier. Chuck and Anne, although guilty of spreading the rumors, really had no way of saying that Laura really didn't obtain her knowledge from a reliable source. Which brought Justin's question to the forefront.

 

"So here is what is going to happen with you three. First, you are going to sign the affidavits that are about to be presented to you by Mindy. They simply state your agreement to what Jessica has said. I must forewarn you that they are legally binding, so if anything she has spoken is a lie in any capacity, Anne and Chuck, you both need to speak up now," Since they were all silent, he continued. "Then Jessica, you are going to finish out your internship for the next two weeks. Chuck and Anne, since you are both paid employees, and have gone against Kinnetik's code of conduct, you will both be suspended for two weeks without pay. As for you Laura, I need you to tell me exactly who your ‘reliable source' was,"

 

"I don't have to tell you anything," she responded in an uppity voice, crossing her arms and putting her nose in the air.

 

Justin chuckled, remembering Murph's opinion that Laura was a mixture of Michael and Lindsay. The Art Director must have known Brian's frienemies for a long time to have picked those comparisons out. Shaking himself from his reverie, he said, "You're right, Laura. You don't have to tell me anything. But considering the fact that this could bring about a slander lawsuit against you, I think you may want to. Rest assured that I will not only sue you for monetary damages, but also your mother too, since I'm sure she provided you with a good portion of your information. Although I have an axe to grind with Craig Taylor personally, I think considering all you've done with fucking your way through your life for her benefit, you wouldn't want to see all your hard work or those of the men- and possibly some women- you've pleased, go in vain. Would you?" Now who's calling whom a whore, bitch?

 

Laura's face paled more and more by the end of Justin's speech. He was right that she had learned to lie on her back, and take whatever was offered to her since an early age. It was just lucky for her that she enjoyed sex, and that her mother had long since climbed out of the gutter she was born in. It made finding well-to-do men to take care of them easier. Craig Taylor was her mother's WASP dream come true; Harlan, through Glenn, was supposed to be hers! But now that Harriet the harridan was divorcing Harlan, he was going to be left with nothing. And from the looks and sounds of it, she would be too.

"I heard Brian's best friends talking outside, while I was having a cigarette. You had just left the building when they came up, and he saw you walking down the street. He said that you were a hustler and the WASPy bitch with him said that she hoped you weren't trying to solicit Brian's clients. I took that small bit of information, and began a plan to systematically ruin your reputation,"

 

"Why?"

 

"Other than jealousy, and the fact that you have mediocre talent, or that you're able to fuck the boss at will? I was ordered to find you and learn what you had been doing for the past year, and then one day you just showed up here. Craig blames you for everything, especially Jennifer finding out about his secondary affair with Katrina. He said that had you not resurfaced, Jennifer would have remained stupid and oblivious to what he was doing,"

 

Jennifer snorted a very unladylike sound. "He was caught because he got careless. Furthermore, I was already planning on leaving him, and had filed for divorce before finding Justin, because of the elaborate lie he and your mother cooked up against my son to cover their worthless asses," Jennifer turned to Harriet and said, 'Well I guess the whorish apple hasn't fallen far from that particular well-used tree,"

 

Laura responds, "Well you should know, since your son is as slutty as your husband,"

 

"Whereas I can't fault you in your assessment of my EX-husband, I can definitely and unequivocally state that if Justin is guilty of anything, it's that he didn't tell me straightaway about Craig and your mother's extracurricular activities. Which actually now explains why Taylor Electronics has been suffering financially for a while now. Perhaps if your mother got up and actually sat in a chair once in awhile, instead of lying on her back or worshipping at the Tiny Peen Kingdom, Craig would actually have time to work,"

 

Daphne and Justin snickered at Jennifer's description of Craig's attributes. Unfortunately, Laura just needed to keep opening her mouth though... and not in a positive life-affirming way.

 

"At least my mother hasn't had a thousand dicks in her, unlike your son, who is quite possibly the poster child for every venereal disease known to man,"

 

Jennifer rose from her chair and stood in front of Laura, daring her to say it again. Laura does, smirking in her arrogance and thinking there is some truth to what she just spewed, since it angered Jennifer Taylor so much. So Laura feels it her duty to warn Jennifer that Craig could have been correct in his accusation that Molly was molested by Justin, and that she should get the 'little bitch' tested. Jennifer smiles and narrows her eyes, asking if Mindy and everyone received what they needed by way of testimony. When all assures her that they did, Jennifer says good. And then delivers an uppercut, effectively knocking Laura out.

 

"Well, that was a most effective way to shut that bitch up! You think you could teach me to throw a punch like that?" Harriet asked as everyone around the sprawled out, unconscious body of Laura Wright laughed.

 

By the time Laura came to, she was lying on a futon located within an empty office in the art department. Frank was standing near her and had reached for his walkie-talkie. Murmuring words that Laura was hard-pressed to understand amid her grogginess, she began to sit up. Her head felt like it weighed a ton of bricks. "What time is it?" she asked the man semi-hovering over her.

 

"It's two o'clock, Ms. Wright. I've been instructed that when you woke up, you were to collect the rest of your things from your former workstation. All of the codes to the computers have been changed and the art department-issued supplies taken and put away already. Anything still at the desk is all of your personal possessions.

 

She nodded, even though the action hurt like hell to do. She walked into the art department to find her former co-workers bustling about as if it was a business as usual day. It was for them, but for her... well she didn't think anything would ever be the same for her again. Fucking Justin Taylor! She rued the day she had ever heard his name, and now he has everything she could have ever wanted for herself: dream job, dream man, and dream bank account. Maybe it was time to move away and make a fresh start for herself. As she was musing while cleaning out her desk, she noticed two other employees nudging each other in the ribs, while continually watching her. She knew what they were doing, but there was no way that she could stop it. And even if she could, at the moment she just didn't care to.

 

"I see you're finally awake," the voice of one of the last people she wanted to see stood behind her, no doubt gloating.

 

"Go away, Daphne. I am."

 

"I can see that, and I say good riddance. But here, I have something for you," When Laura turned around and extended her hand, Daphne placed the package in her hand. She watched as Laura tore open the unfamiliar envelope and began reading. Daphne gloated, "You've just been served. Don't forget to show up to court and good luck with your life," And with that parting shot, Daphne was gone. However, the gossip mill was already buzzing around her in that quiet all-too-consuming way that only a juicy piece of gab could.

 

Justin Taylor was suing her for Defamation of Character? Laura groaned. Could her day get possibly any worse? Fuck! She still had to face her mother to tell her that she and Glenn weren't getting married after all; that Daphne Chanders had swooped back in and reclaimed her man. Now that she was of age, there wasn't a fucking thing anyone could do about it- not Daniel Chanders, Daphne's father, and certainly not Harlan. He was destitute, and as of four p.m. today, homeless. Maybe it really was time for her to leave town, before she really had absolutely nothing left, including what was in her bank account. Life fucking sucked! She left Kinnetik, enduring the same snickers and titters she had meant to happen to someone else. Karma is definitely a bitch, she thought, and his name is Justin Fucking Taylor.

 

After the meeting and Laura's subsequent departure, Justin headed down to the Art Department to address the staff. Calling them together he explained to them that after all the rumors he just wanted to set the record straight. "What you heard about me was true. I had been a hustler, but it wasn't because I was rebelling, or needed drugs, or wanted money. The reason was that a little over a year ago, right before I was set to graduate from high school, my father found out I was gay and gave me fifteen minutes to pack what I could and get out of his house, or he was going to have me arrested on trumped up charges. Not too long after that, the rest of the money I had had hidden at home and brought with me, was stolen. I couldn't contact anyone my family knew for help, and I had nowhere to sleep and nothing to eat. I only did it to survive. I'm not telling you this to garner sympathy. But because I would rather not have anyone speculate about my life, or how I have lived it. I hope we can continue to work together, without a problem, now that everyone knows the truth,"

 

By the end of Justin's speech, most of the employees had tears in their eyes or openly running down their faces. Justin was well liked and a breath of fresh air for the department, and they felt for what the young man had been through. Several of them hugged him before returning to work.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

First thing Tuesday morning, Brian had his lawyer file Slander and Defamation of Character lawsuits against Michael on behalf of Justin. He arranged for Michael to be served immediately. There were no meetings scheduled, so Brian wasn't worried about Michael showing up and causing a scene in front of any clients. He and Justin were working on new projects in their offices when they heard a commotion at the front desk. The receptionist had already been told that Michael would probably show up, and not to worry about it. All she was to do was inform security, so that they could be near Brian and Justin's offices, in case they were needed. Justin looked at Brian and moved to the side of the room as Michael came storming in, walking right past Cynthia like she wasn't even there.

 

"Brian, do you know what that goddamned fucking hustler did now?! Look at this!" Michael said, shaking the papers at Brian.

 

Brian moved his hand to the side, and Justin stepped in front of him as Brian wrapped his arms around the younger man from behind.

 

"If you mean the lawsuits against you Michael, yes I do. In fact, I asked my lawyer to file the papers on Justin's behalf,"

 

"Well, you tell him to drop it! And I mean RIGHT NOW, Brian! This is not funny! I had every right to say that about him. It's true! He's nothing, but a nasty fucking hustler! I MEAN IT. TELL HIM TO DROP IT NOW!!! You are MY best friend, YOU OWE ME! I was there for you!"

 

Threading his fingers through Brian's, Justin squeezed the older man's hands, giving him strength and letting his Irish know without words that he was here with him. He knew that although expected, this confrontation was far from easy for Brian to have.

 

"No, Michael. I will not tell Justin to drop the lawsuit. He is MY partner, my lover, and you had no right to say any of those things about him. You don't even know him! Furthermore, and just so we are clear on this, he NEVER tried to steal my wallet. He bent down and picked it up when it fell on the ground, after I ran into HIM, and he immediately handed it back to me. You know that, or should anyway, since you were standing right there.

As for me OWING you, that debt has long since been paid. You know, Justin and Daphne have shown me what ‘best friends' act like toward one another. And I have to tell you, that it is nowhere near how you act, or have ever acted towards me. They are there for each other, they revel in each other's happiness, and they don't try to run each other's lives. It's sad to say, but I learned more from watching those two teenagers interact in the last few weeks than I would have ever thought possible. You ARE NOT my ‘best friend', and I don't think you ever were. Now, you are to leave the premises, and just so you know, I have a restraining order ready if you try to come back here, if you show up at my loft or if you go anywhere near either Justin or myself. This is not a joke, Michael. Stay away from us," Brian told the man who had been a part of his life for so long.

 

Calling Ted, Brian asked him to call the manager of the diner and get a copy of the ‘conversation' in the diner. He wants to make sure they have it when they go to court.

 

As Brian hangs up the phone, Justin is locking the door to the office after having leaned out the door to speak with Cynthia. Walking back over to Brian, Justin takes his hand and leads him to the sofa. Pushing the older man to sit down, Justin finally speaks, "Sit down Irish, let me help you relax," Justin told his lover, kneeling between his long legs.

 

Normally, if Brian was this tense Justin would fuck him slowly to help him relax. But he wouldn't do that within Brian's office. No matter their relationship, here, in Brian's business, he was the boss. So Justin did the next best thing, and something he knew that Brian loved for him to do. Lowering the zipper on Brian's suit pants, Justin pulled out the semi hard cock of his lover. As he leaned forward and flicked his soft pink tongue across the cap, it sprang to full hardness. Taking the steel hard cock to the root, Justin wrapped his tongue around it, causing Brian to buck up and grab his hair in a way that Justin loved. Justin continued to kiss and lick the beautiful member until Brian was shooting streams of cum down his throat.

 

Pulling Justin up on the sofa with him, Brian tells him, "Azure, I don't know what I ever did to deserve you, but thank you for being here,"

 

They held each other and relaxed for a short while before getting back to work. As soon as they finished with everything they had to get done for the day, they headed home so that Justin could finish what he started.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Meanwhile, Michael left the building, furious and vowing to himself that he would find a way to get back at that ‘fucking blond' for taking away the man he considered to be his! He headed to Melanie's office, needing a lawyer to try and get this lawsuit dropped. Walking into Melanie's office unannounced, Michael throws the subpoena on her desk telling her to, "Fix it!"

 

Looking up briefly before rolling her eyes at the intruder, Mel walks over to the door and shuts it, before turning towards him again. "What the fuck, Michael? You just barge in here, and expect me to fix whatever it is that you have done? Did you think of maybe calling for an appointment? And how are you planning on paying for whatever it is that you need done?" Mel asks him, not even looking at the papers to see what they are about.

 

"That fucking blond hustler..."

 

"Justin, Michael. His name is Justin, and..."

 

"I don't care what his fucking name is! He's nothing but a money grubbing hustler, and now he is trying to sue me, for slander and for defamation of character. You have to fix this! I already went to Brian's office to tell him to have the little fuck drop it and he refused. That blond bastard must have something on Brian. He's my best friend and he won't even listen to me! That whore is controlling Brian somehow!"

 

"I'll ask you again, why didn't you call for an appointment and how are you planning on paying me?"

 

"I'm family; I don't need an appointment. And I don't have to pay you either,"

 

"Yes, we may be family, but I have to account for my hours, which means, in order for me to take your case you need an appointment and I need to be paid for my time. I don't just walk into your store, take what I want and walk out, do I?"

 

"That's different," Michael answered, glaring at Mel.

 

"No it's not, Michael. And I will give you one piece of free advice: learn to think before shooting off your mouth about things that don't concern you. Now, if you'll excuse me I have a meeting with a paying client in a few minutes. And thank you so much for dropping by and ruining my lunch,"  

 

Grabbing the papers, Michael left in a huff, not sure what he would do now.

 

Melanie called Lindsay, worried that she may have also received a visit from the subpoena fairy.

 

"Hello," Lindsay answered the phone without looking to see who was calling.

 

"Lindsay, it's me. Have you been home all morning?"

 

"Yes, why? You sound funny, Mel. What's going on?"

 

"Michael was just here in my office. Apparently, Justin has filed suit against him for slander and defamation of character. Are you sure no one has come by today?"

 

"No, no one. Oh my God, Mel. Do you think he is going to file suit against us?"

 

"Not US, Lindsay. YOU. He could only file it against you. I wasn't even there, or I would have shut you up immediately."

 

"Maybe he didn't because I apologized. I certainly hope so anyway."

 

"You better pray, Lindsay. I hope you're right."

 

"Maybe I should call Brian and talk to him?"

 

"No. You should leave him alone. If he has anything to say to you, I'm sure you'll know soon enough. I mean it, Lindsay. DO NOT call him,"

 

"Okay, I'll leave it alone, for now at least,"

 

A few days later Lindsay ran into Brian and Justin at the store, "Brian, Justin, it's nice to see you two. How are things going at Kinnetik?" Lindsay asked sweetly, hoping they would mention what she really wanted to know. She was still nervous about Michael being served with a lawsuit.

 

"Things at Kinnetik are fine, Lindsay. I'm glad that you have listened and stayed away. I'm sure you know about the lawsuit. In case you are curious about why only Michael was served, well that was Justin's decision. Since Michael started it and you were only going along with his idiotic comments, you will not be getting one. But consider this your one and only warning: If we EVER hear you say one word against him, well then, you will also be hearing from our lawyer. Good day, Lindsay." Brian said, taking Justin's hand and walking around her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

TWO MONTHS LATER

 

Lindsay called Brian and invited him and Justin to dinner. Things had been cordial between them. Brian told Justin about the invitation and his answer was that he had to wash his hair. Even after she had apologized and made an effort to be nice, Justin still didn't like her and limited any time he had to be around her. He told Brian he should go to dinner though, at least to see what she wanted. He was sure that there was more to dinner than what Lindsay actually said. Brian figured they just wanted to either ‘borrow' money or get a donation for the GLC, so he agreed to go out of curiosity.

 

"Okay lesbian Lucy and Ethel, spill. How much are you trying to get out of me this time?" Brian asked.

 

Lindsay spoke up first. "We don't want money, Brian. We... we want to start a family and we want you to be the donor. We both want to get pregnant. Having you as the donor would mean that the children would be related,"

 

"Yes. And this way you could pass on your genes. What other chance would you have to do that?" Mel added in.

 

Brian, looking back and forth between the women answered, "None. Because I'm not doing it,"

 

"But Brian..." Lindsay began, only to be cut off.

 

"I told you, Lindz. He's much too selfish to help us," Melanie spat.

 

"And you want any child I ‘donate' to be raised by her? This conversation is over," Brian cleared his throat, before standing up to leave. "If I ever decide to have children, I will be the one to raise them," Brian told them before walking out and slamming the door.

 

After Brian left their house, Lindsay sat stunned while Melanie seethed. Her hate for Brian Kinney had always been the stuff of legends, but no more than right then. Brian had everything they needed, but he wasn't willing to share; telling them, more often than not, that they needed to find a way to fix their own lives before trying to condemn him for the way he chose to live his. Lindsay had tried everything from guilt-laden comments to subtle or high-handed reprimands. While Melanie had always called attention to his decadent, hedonistic lifestyle, and to his egocentric behavior.

 

It always pissed her off how much Brian had while barely working. After all, he had manic minions and pencil pushers to do the heavy lifting within the business for him. Yet she worked her ass off but still didn't have half as much. If Melanie really thought about it, she could blame herself for aligning her life with a proper WASP princess, who was used to the finer things in life. It made no sense to her that although she could have been considered well off in her own right thanks to her inheritance as well as her job, Brian Kinney was working-poor trash, who had somehow made good. The bitterness and jealousy Melanie felt at that small, but substantial comparison between her and Brian, made her all the more angry that their plan wasn't going to work.

 

"I'll get it, Mel. I promise," Lindsay whispered to her.

 

"Lindz, you heard the man. He has his mind made up and nothing and no one is going to change it. Brian Kinney does not do anything that he doesn't want to do. And after the last time we ‘borrowed' money from him under the pretense that it was for the house, I can't say that I blame him. Let's just forget about him. How about we ask Ted?"

 

"You can't be serious, Melanie," Lindsay scoffed. "Ted? Ted Schmidt, the man who Brian pays to act as the accountant for his company?"

 

"One and the same. I mean technically Brian will still be supporting us, but indirectly,"

 

Lindsay shook her blonde locks violently. She wouldn't hear of some other alternative than the one she had originally planned. "I said that I would get it, Mel, and I will. I don't want some neurotic substitute for Brian. I want Brian. His genes mixed with ours would make the most adorable, blood-bound children. Not to mention that they will be intelligent beyond their years, and will certainly want for nothing. Brian may not want to be a father, but he would never leave his children to fend for themselves... nor their mothers,"

 

"Lindz, you do realize that what you are considering is morally reprehensible, right? He already said no, and all of your guilt-tripping innuendos aren't going to make him change his mind. We just have to come up with another plan,"

 

"We already have one. Brian forgot one very important detail in denying me- denying us- what we want. I do not take no for an answer when I want something. Brian will indeed father children for us. Just you wait Mel, and you will certainly see. I will get what I want,"

 

"Lindsay, what are you planning? It's not like you can just steal sperm," Mel told her, shaking her head.

 

They would have their children and she and Mel would be supported, even if she had to break faith with Brian to accomplish it.

 

                                                  THE END

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=401