Everything At Once (Post Season 4) by plumsuede
Summary:

Post 414, Brian has asked Justin to move in, Justin hasn't answered, what now? (This series picks up after the last episode of Season 4 and was written before Season 5- the final season- ever aired.) Written in 2004-2005.

(21 chapters + 3 epilogues)


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny
Tags: Cancer, M/M, Season 4
Genres: Angst, Could be Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 134489 Read: 54508 Published: Oct 01, 2016 Updated: Nov 13, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1: Realization - Brian's POV by plumsuede

2. Chapter 2: Distraction - Brian’s POV by plumsuede

3. Chapter 3: Regret- Brian's POV by plumsuede

4. Chapter: 3.1- DELETED SCENE- Pieces-Justin's POV by plumsuede

5. Chapter 4: Solitaire - Brian's POV by plumsuede

6. Chapter 5: Rage - Brian’s POV by plumsuede

7. Chapter 6: Nostalgia- - Justin’s POV by plumsuede

8. Chapter 7: Countdown-Brian's POV by plumsuede

9. Chapter 8: Spoiled-Brian/Justin POV by plumsuede

10. Chapter 9-Denial-Brian's POV by plumsuede

11. Chapter 10-Intentions-Brian's POV by plumsuede

12. Chapter 11-Luxury-Brian/Justin POV by plumsuede

13. Chapter 12-Privilege-Justin's POV by plumsuede

14. Chapter 13-Intimacy-Brian's POV by plumsuede

15. Chapter 14-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede

16. Chapter 15-Impulse-Brian/Justin/Emmett's POV by plumsuede

17. Chapter 16-Consolation-Ted/Justin/Brian/Emmett's POV by plumsuede

18. Chapter 17-Expectations-Brian/Alternate OC POV by plumsuede

19. Chapter 18-Provocation-Brian's POV by plumsuede

20. Chapter 19-Resignation-Justin's POV by plumsuede

21. Chapter 20-Revelation-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede

22. Chapter 21-Destination-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede

23. Epilogue 1-Reflection-Justin's POV by plumsuede

24. Epilogue 2-Arrangements by plumsuede

25. Epilogue 3-Accomplished by plumsuede

Chapter 1: Realization - Brian's POV by plumsuede

 

 

We can't go on together with suspicious minds


“Fuck.” I leaned against the outside of Michael’s store and sucked in cold, wet, winter Pittsburgh air for a minute. I'd just been in inside, dropping off a present for the baby from Cynthia, and I heard him--on the phone with that Brett guy in L.A.


“Justin would be a great asset to that team. We’ve been so busy; I became a dad a few days ago…” He was prattling on about Jenny to anyone and everyone he talked to. He was the proudest father I’d ever seen.


I had to interrupt him to give him Cynthia’s gift and then to get out of there.


“Michael. Here. This is for Jenny. It’s from Cynthia.” I practically poked him in the face.


“Hang on, Brett. Hang on.” He covered the phone with his hand. “Brian, Justin didn’t even tell me about his job offer. He’s going? Right?” He whispered this to me.


“Of course, of course.” I brushed him off quickly, waving my hand. “I’ve got to run. I’ll see you later, Mikey,” and I walked out the door where I could breathe.


I’m such an idiot. Justin never said a thing—out loud. He talked about the trip, about the movie, about the ideas he had, about the men he’d met and all the while, I hadn’t really let myself listen. I hadn’t really let myself even think about what he was doing out there while I was killing myself on the Liberty Ride. Now I understood why he hadn’t answered me when I asked him to move back in, why he’s happy but reserved, why the last few times we’ve fucked he’s insatiable as usual but pretty quiet afterwards. Justin’s never quiet. Fuck. I'm so stupid.


I got in the car and started to drive home, taking the long way so that I could think—only I couldn’t. I was angry—at him for not telling me, at me for not asking, for changing my own rules, for making a fool of myself. I looked through the windshield and realized that the streets in front of me were starting to get blurry, but not from the rain. The traffic lights were changing and I needed to obey them—but the signals from the street, the sounds from the radio were not loud enough to compete with the rush in my head. I turned the radio off and stopped at a light. I needed this ride to take a while. A car horn blew and I looked up. I wasn’t at a light. I was at a stop sign—waiting for it to turn green. I crossed the intersection and looked down--my cell was ringing—the tone it makes when I have a message. I flipped it open and saw that I'd missed two calls from Justin. I called him back.


“Hey. Sorry. I didn’t hear it ring.”


“Where are you?” His voice was upbeat.


“At the office. Just leaving.”


“No, you’re not. I just talked to Cynthia. You left the office an hour ago.” He isn’t even angry, just lets me know that he knows the way things are.


“Okay, okay. I went by the store to give Michael something. But I’m on my way.”


“Good because dinner’s almost ready. Lindsay was here with Gus. She found a place to live. She wants to show it to you—to us.”


“I’m almost home.”


“I’ll be waiting. Bye.”


Home. I didn’t think I'd ever want to be driving home after work looking forward to the fact that the guy I fucked last night was making dinner for us in my loft, that he’d just entertained my son and no doubt hung his latest creation on the refrigerator—I don’t want to think about it at all. I don’t want to think about the fact that Justin has better options than being with me. Sometimes there’s more than one way to be a top.


I open the door to my loft and smell chicken of some sort, but I don’t see him. I look at what he’s made for dinner—some casserole thing, but mine's separate because he knows I won’t eat all of that fattening stuff. His attention to detail—it’s what makes him such a good artist.


I put my briefcase down, take off my coat, and he emerges from the bedroom, pulling on a long sleeve gray shirt. It’s mine.


“Hey,” he says, “I was cold. And it smells like you.” He smiles as he pulls his hands inside the sleeves—he knows I hate it when he does that—stretching out my sleeves—but he redeems himself by curling his arms inward and laying against my chest. I run my fingers through his hair and close my eyes for a minute, breathing in his scent.


I lift his chin and kiss him, softly at first, holding his face while I look in his eyes—and for a minute I can forget the past hour and it's just me and him standing in my loft kissing like we’ve done a million times before.

 

 

“Oh shit, Brian, the chicken.” He breaks free to stop dinner from burning and saves it, serves it and we eat. We talk about work, about Lindsay and Gus, but not about Hollywood and not about living together. I wait for him to bring it up; he never does.


When dinner is done, I help him wash the dishes and tease him about being a “good wife” who services her husband after dinner and he laughs and says he already made dessert. I watch him eat a piece of this suicidal pecan chocolate pie thing he made and shake my head. He ought to go to Hollywood; he’s pure entertainment.


He’s kind of restless tonight, but he finally settles down in front of the television on the sofa, watching one of those makeover shows—where they come in and take over your house when you’re not home or something. He loves the concept of transformation. I hate these shows, but I'm mesmerized just watching him—just the pure excitement on his face, the way he puts his fingers on his lips when they do the reveal is adorable. Tonight, though, he's distracted by me watching him or maybe it’s a repeat. I can’t tell.


“Brian, quit staring at me.”


“Why?”


“It’s unnerving and it makes me hard.”


“Is that a complaint?”


“Yes.” He's flirting.


“All complaints have to be filled out in triplicate and notarized.” I turn off the television.


“Don’t turn that off. It’s almost time for the reveal.”


“You’ve seen it. She hates it. She cries. She even says, ‘what the fuck were you thinking?’ and they bleep it.” I’m nudging him with my feet.


“See, you do like these shows.” He lies back on top of me and makes some idiotic crack about letting some cable-designer come into the loft and re-do it for fun.


“Let’s see, I’ll take ‘things that will never happen for $1000.’” I run my hands under his shirt, his chest's warm.


“Debbie could go on that weight loss one. You know, that one called I Lost It." He’s just being silly now.


“Is that what that’s about? I thought it was a documentary about mental patients. I was actually gonna watch that one.” I kiss his neck. He smells so good.


“Shut up, Brian.” He flips over, finally, and is kissing me now. Slower, then faster. Looking at me in between each one. Running his fingers through my hair.


“Did you shave this morning?” He asks me. I did. Why is he asking?

 

“You look tired, that’s all.” He’s off of me with those words and pulling me to the bedroom with one arm. Both of us know that we’re not going to Babylon tonight. It’s nine o'clock, and we’re in for the night, a long night.

End Notes:

This story was originally written in 2004.

Chapter 2: Distraction - Brian’s POV by plumsuede

C'mon angel my hearts on fire

Don't deny your man's desire

You'd be a fool to stop this tide


Spread your wings and let me come inside


We walk to the bedroom. He’s pulling me, but I'm cooperating. I'm tired much earlier these days now. I stop at my nightstand to remove my watch, empty my pockets, my nightly ritual. He sits on the bed with his legs tucked under him, just watching me, with that eager face and those trusting blue eyes that never change. I start to loosen my tie and he tells me to stop, to sit down on the bed, to let him do it. So I do.

I look down at his slight fingers as he slowly unbuttons my sleeves, one and then the other and then moves his attention to my tie. He unravels it slowly, looking into my face the entire time. I want to touch him, to speed this up, but I can tell that's not what he wants, so I don’t. My tie is loosened and his warm hand moves inside my dress shirt and begins unbuttoning it. I keep my head lowered and try to stay quiet and calm as I listen to the sound of his breathing and feel his warm breath on my neck and chest. He's leaning into me and kissing me so gently that I feel wrong to act on the instincts I have right now-to roll him over and fuck him hard.

 


Eventually, though, I lean forward, pushing into his kiss, thoughts of tasting him crowding out every other thought in my mind.

I think I hear Pat Benatar? Love is a battlefield?

He stops me with a hand to my chest.

“Brian, that’s my cell.”

“Fuck it.”

“That’s Mel or Linds. Stop.” He moves out from under me, ignoring my frustration. I watch him cross the loft to his jacket to silence the annoying ring. He has one for everybody; Justin and his details. I hear him talking to Lindsay.

“No, he’s here. His cell must be off. Hang on.” I'm already in the kitchen with him, taking the phone.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” I'm short with her, but concerned.

“Nothing,” she says. “You were supposed to call me to let me know when you guys were going to come see our new place and you didn’t—that’s all. And then I tried to call your cell and your loft and no answer. I just got…“ she pauses…”I guess I just got impatient or something. That’s all.”

 


“Sorry. Ringer must be off. I forgot to call. Justin told me about your new place. I can probably come tomorrow sometime. You guys are settled in?”

I can hear Gus raising hell in the background and the real reason for the call in Lindsay’s voice. It's been two days since I told her about the cancer. Two days since she yelled, slapped me, and then cried—for me and for her. Two days since we both realized what all of this means if she and Mel are really splitting up. I wanted to tell her at a time that wasn’t like this, when she wasn’t breaking up with her partner, but things don’t always work out like that. I told her that I was going to play a bigger role in Gus’ life and that I was going to change my life insurance policies and my will. It’s been two days since she calls every few hours or so for some reason or another. She's speaking to me again.

“I don’t just want you to come. I want Justin to come to.” Her voice sounds lonely. It makes me uncomfortable.  

“Okay, we’ll both come.” I agree as I lean back against the kitchen counter and reach to open the refrigerator. My eyes stop on the picture that Gus drew today.

“I’ll call you tomorrow. Justin and I are getting ready to go out.” I lie, tell her goodbye and pull Gus’ picture off of the refrigerator. My kid cannot draw for shit. Lindsay had graciously written what he was trying to draw next to each scribble on the page. “Mommy, daddy, mommy, car, baby, and Justin.” I fold the picture in half and put it on my desk. I don’t want it on my refrigerator anymore.

I don’t want any of this on my refrigerator anymore. I want my life back. I want my Thursday nights back. I don’t want all of these new roles, all of this bullshit under my name, beside my name, anywhere near my fucking name. I want to walk into Babylon alone, drown in the beat, the smell, and own the back room. I want to know that when I glance at someone, his night has just gone from shit to memorable—that when I choose him, he won’t be sorry. I was. I was always sorry—almost always.

I return to the bedroom with a bottle of water for Justin and a bottle of Scotch for me. I know how to alter my mood. Justin's tucked under the covers, his nose stuck in a book.

“You’re reading?”

“Yeah and I’m freezing. You keep it so fucking cold in here Brian.”

“It matches my personality.” I hand him the bottles and finish undressing. He watches me, drinking the Scotch.

“I love watching you undress and fuss with your clothes Brian. Watching you, standing there, naked and anal, is so fucking cute. It drives me nuts.”

“Shut the fuck up.”

“You get this serious look on your face,” he’s laughing and imitating me a little, “almost as serious as when you’re working, except you’re naked.” More giggling.

 


“You ought to show a little more respect, Sunshine. After all, you are in the Holy Land right now. Your long journey through the desert on your camel has finally brought you here.” Justin lets you fuck with all of him. It’s his way of being charming. I hang the rest of my suit in the closet before turning around to look at him. I’m trying not to smile—really, really, trying--but it’s almost pointless.

He leans his open book towards me. “I know. I was just reading about my journey in this sacred text. Apparently it took me some twenty years to get here and not one good woman along the way. Really amazing story.” He plays with me.

“Excuse me, one woman.”

 


He corrects himself, flipping pages. “You’re right, I’m sorry. It says so right here. In the ancient city of Babylon, our weary traveler befriends a young maiden named Daphne one evening in order to secure safe passage through Lesbitamia for the next two years.”

Now I’m laughing. “Lesbitamia? Well, now that you have arrived safely into the kingdom, what’s first on your list of things to do?”

 


“I think I will go seek counsel from the three wise men: Armani, Prada, and Gucci. They will advise me about the next leg of my journey.” He's way too into this now. I have to end this or he will play with me all night.

 


“I’m afraid that’s not possible.” I slide into bed, under the covers.

“Why not?” He turns on his side so that we're facing each other.

“The king has thrown them in prison for selling their wares in the streets without a permit.”

“He’s a lonely, old, narcissistic tyrant. But I hear he’s reeeall—ly hot,” he's talking to me in his teasing voice, walking two fingers up my chest, and kissing me in between every word. “I will go to him and beg for their release.”

 


“The king does not allow visitors.” I try to suck on his bottom lip.

“Oh, he’ll see me.”

“What makes you so sure? The king hasn’t entertained a peasant in years.” I kiss him again.

“I have something that he wants, something that he needs,” his hands are behind my head, his fingers in my hair. He's kissing me urgently, his tongue pushing into my mouth. He moves like he has something to prove. Not to me. I return the favor. After awhile we stop kissing to breathe and just look at each other for few seconds. I become aware of my body again.

I badger him about how many blankets we’re under, how he’s not sleeping in the king’s clothes, but then I lift up the covers so I can see him better. His body's so, well, irresistible like this. My gray knit shirt is long on him. It stops right below his hips, clinging to him like I want to right now. Every part of him looking as innocent as he did the first night he was here. Every part of me knowing that he’s not. It is then that I notice that my shirt is all that he has on.

 


“Wait.” I stop him from undressing. He smiles at me, reaching to put his book on the nightstand behind him.

“Leave it on?”

“Leave it on.” I tell him.

“Still cold?” I ask, offering him some more Scotch.

“Not really,” he answers, drinking a long swallow and looking at me without blinking. He gives it back to me. I drink some more and put it down. I don’t need it anymore. I move in closer to him. I'm starting to sweat under all of these blankets, but I could care less right now. I prop myself on my elbow and look at him for a second. I feel his fingers behind my ear, pulling my face in, our lips pushing together. I close my eyes. I kiss him for days—his intensity matching mine and always upping the stakes. He's no novice; he never was.

I can feel his legs fighting with me, arguing with mine, trying to pull my body on top of his—the urgency in his timeline. I fight back, above him,but not on top. His frustration pushes through.

“Brian, come on,” he urges. He's sweaty too. It makes me smile.

 


“Be patient,” I whisper in his neck. “You’ll get what you want, Sunshine.” I say it even softer as I reach back to throw one of the blankets off the bed. We're both too hot. He sighs a little.

“I’ve changed my mind. Take this off.” I pull at my shirt to help him. It is damp with sweat and caught underneath me, and we struggle to get it off, laughing in our efforts. Once it's gone, I pull him back close to me, as we were, and tuck us almost totally under the covers. I whisper to him again.

 


“Come here.”

 


“I am here.”

“Come here.” He inches his warm body closer to me.  I run the back of my hand down the side of his face, over his ear, down his neck, his arm, his chest.  He shivers a little.  My lips touch his eyes, his cheek, his nose and his chin.   My eyes stay wide open as a quiet smile rests on my face.  I move my warm hand down his chest.  His goose bumps come and go as his hips move toward me.

I place the heel of my hand on his stomach and slowly move down to his legs, letting my fingers walk around his pubic area, my face buried in his neck.  His moaning breaks my concentration, “Brian, please, pleeease.  I can't take this."  He's pushing his hips toward me, his hand pushing my hand toward his cock.  "Please."

But I want this slow. I like this slow.  It's almost always so fast, so rushed.  I reassure him, "You’re okay. I’ve got you.” I take my hand out of his and slide it down to his inner thigh, gently but firmly, listening to his breathing to guide me.  He's alternating between shallow breaths and an occasional moan that goes straight between my legs. I want him to know what this feels like for me.

“Do you like this?”

“Yes.” It's a desperate answer.

 


“Tell me what you like.”

“I like this. I like you touching me….I like …I can’t…Brian please..."

 


“Tell me.” He purrs at the sounds of my voice.  He wriggles in my arms, but he can't go anywhere.

“I don’t know what to do with my hand," he spits out, exasperated.  I laugh a little, by accident.  He can always surprise me.

 

“Don’t laugh at me.” I don’t mean to embarrass him. I take his stray hand and tuck it underneath the pillow, underneath his head for now. I raise up a little, my very stiff cock falling on his stomach. He doesn’t like that or seem to like that or something. He is frustrated. His descending hand comes back to my chest, my stomach. His words come back to my ear.

“I want to touch you. I want to suck you. Mmmmm……now……Brian……now.”

It’s hard to believe that two weeks ago I was worried about being able to do this at all. Tonight I’m feeling like I can’t hold back. I want to tell him, to show that him that just having him underneath me, in my arms, is often more than I can stand. I stop his hand before he wraps it around my cock. He's close enough to know that I'm already wet. I put my mouth over his to try kissing him and telling him at the same time to let me drive. I plant his hand on the back of my head.

“You made dinner. Just…let…me…entertain…you, okay?” I was pushing my lips into his face. Kissing him is almost better than fucking him sometimes.

“Okay, fine. I’ll just lay here and look pretty.” I don’t want him to talk if he’s going to be a smart ass.

“Ssshhh,” I put my finger over his lips to quiet him. "When I hold you like this, Justin, look at you, touch you like this, ...." I pause, "I want you to listen to me.  Are you listening?"  He nods. “In a few minutes, I’m going to be inside you and I want you to be ready for me.  Can you do that?  Can you be ready for me?"  He opens his eyes and looks at me, almost searching my face.  I kiss him before he can answer.

I pop the lube open with my free hand, emptying only a small amount into my palm.  My hand disappears under the blankets.  My lips are next to his ear.“Are you ready?” I ask him. The back of my fingers run down his chest, tracking the outline of his cock, his balls, tickling his inner thigh.

He breathes “I want you” so softly into my ear that I almost don't hear it.

My warm, slippery fingers tease and then ignore the entrance to his hole as lightly as a I can and hear him suck in air, or rather, anticipation.

“Spread your legs, Sunshine.” A loud moan escapes as he starts to spread his legs for me.

“That’s far enough.” I stop him with my leg over his—to keep him from running a touchdown on my play.

 


I slide my middle finger part way in as I tighten my hold around the upper part of his body. I have all of him now. I feel his muscles tighten around my hand. As I slide farther in, I feel him pushing, still trying to get ever closer to me. He moans and rotates his hips to meet my hand.  I slowly back out and re-enter him with more, moving in and out of him slowly, listening to the sounds our bodies make, pressing where I know he can’t tolerate for long, talking to him about what's happening, “Justin, do you like this? Do you like it when I touch you like this?"

“Yes. Please, Brian. Christ, please.” I almost can’t understand him.

“Do you want me to fuck you?” I ask him as I thrust my fingers farther inside his ass. It almost makes me feel cruel to ask, but it's making me really hard.

 


“Yes.”

“Yes, what?”

 


His voice wavers back and forth, “Yes, I want you to fuck me.” His eyes are wet and fixed, frozen somewhere between desire and satisfaction.

I want to be inside him so bad. My slippery fingers leave him to fumble with the condom. I feel like I’m moving in slow motion or something.

 


“Roll over.”

 


He steals a quick glance at me before he rolls over. I glide on top of him, letting him feel the weight of my body as it covers him, the steel of my erection as it slides between his cheeks and hovers outside his hole. I pull myself up a little and adjust myself for him, find my center of gravity, and push.

Everything. I watch as it falls over the edge. I tighten my grip on his hips, pushing harder, feeling him tightening around me, pulling me in. It makes me groan, makes me make that sound I make lately when I have to climb the stairs because the elevator is down. I pull back, my last controlled thrust, and fill him again. I close my eyes for a minute to feel this warmth, this heat, this rush, this swirl I get sucked into every time I fuck him. Every single time.

I open my eyes and I see him reaching for himself, hear him panting, watch him start fisting himself, feel his stomach muscles start to constrict.

“Don’t.” I swat his hand away. He mews frustration at me. My hand covers his cock and I match the rhythm of our bodies. I feel him start to shoot right before my release arrives. I'm never ever letting go of this….this shiny, loud, cozy, razor-sharp, buttery piece of everything. It's over in less than a minute, I think. I collapse on top of him. Soaking in the sheepish smile he wears after sex. I wish I had a camera…right…this…second. He wiggles out from under me. I ditch the condom and turn to look at him. I think he’s crying.

“That was too much? Too fast? I hurt you?” I search his face, not sure of what I’m seeing.

“No, intense. It’s happened before you know. You just don’t see it. You’re asleep.” He's saying these words softly, but warmly, without looking at me. I don’t push him. A few minutes pass with only our breathing to fill the room. I want to tell him that he's wrong; I'm not asleep. But I don’t.

When he does speak again, he changes the subject., “I can’t believe that Mel and Linds are splitting up. And because she fucked some guy? Jesus, I’m getting the impression that they haven’t even really talked about it.” This is what he wants to talk about.

 


“Sometimes people grow apart, I guess.”

I don’t want to talk about this. He turns to his side, away from me, looking out the window. I slide in behind him, holding him. Our bodies are still sticky with sweat and cum, and he pulls the blankets back up. I’m roasting again, but I don’t care. I run my fingers over his arm, kiss the back of his neck. He nuzzles back against me, starting to get comfortable for the night. I ask again, my hand on his hip, my words in his neck, “Are you sure you’re all right? I feel like I’ve hurt you.” He lets me know that he’s okay in a way that only he can, a way that doesn’t require any words. He moans a little and continues to push back against me. As long as I live, I’ll never be able to break the spell that's cast over us right before, during, and after sex. As long as I live.

I just want to stay like this. I want to stay stuck to him in this sticky way. I lie there looking at the back of his head, remembering how I used to feel like he was a piece of gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe. I almost start laughing. That’s the thing about Justin, he’s so damn sticky. And I chewa helluva lot gum. That’s the thing about me. Fuck. Nevermind.

 


My hand roams to his. I cover it with mine. We're not speaking, but we are. He scratches the back of his head three times and I know he’s settling down. And once he finally turns his pillow the
way he wants it, sets the alarm, and turns the clock backwards, he leans back against me and picks up his conversation right where he left off:

“So, it’s really true then? That’s crazy, Brian. What about Gus? You’re telling me that Lindsay's leaving, make that left, the one person she loves more than anyone in the world without even really talking about it?”

 

“I guess so, Justin. When are you?”

Chapter 3: Regret- Brian's POV by plumsuede

sorry seems to be the hardest word


“One guess. Michael.”

 

I think I felt it before I heard it. We were, I thought, almost asleep. Several minutes had passed, and I'd almost talked myself into believing that I hadn’t asked the question. Part of me was fantasizing that he hadn’t even heard me say it. Part of me still is.

 

And then I was in the bathroom, throwing up, a regular occurrence these days, trying to decide: What was colder—the toilet I was leaning on or the way I just said that to him? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. By the time I decided that it was probably me and emerged from the bathroom, it didn’t matter anymore.

He was gone.

 

Chapter: 3.1- DELETED SCENE- Pieces-Justin's POV by plumsuede
Author's Notes:

This is a deleted scene and gives Justin's POV. Fits between Chapters 3 and 4.

 

 

 

It’s been raining off and on all night. When it rains, it pours.


Nothing is moving fast enough. Nothing. Not my hands, not my feet, not the stairs, not the traffic lights. The rain isn’t even falling fast enough. And the guy who’s in front of me, halfway letting me follow him into the building is definitely moving too slow. He needs to mind his own fucking business.


“You live here?”


“Yeah, move.” I shove past him and take the stairs two at a time until I get to the door.


Fatigue.


Deep breath.


Knock.


Nothing.


I knock again. One. Two. Three. “OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!” I hear voices.


“Is Hunter here? Is he in his room?”


“It’s Brian. His car’s outside.” And then the chain rattling. And then the door opening. I see Ben’s sleepy face. I hear Michael. The Novotny-Bruckner clan goes to bed early.


“He’s here Ben. He’s in his room.”


“Justin, hey…” I put my hand on the door. I can’t do much more. This is Ben. Getting past him is like getting past the Great Wall of China.


“I need to see Michael. Now.” He yields the door and Michael is standing there, shirtless in sweatpants. His face couldn’t look more lost.


“Hey. What’s up? You look like sh--.”


“Why’d you tell him?”


“Tell him what? Tell who what?” He needs to get that fucking innocent look off of his face.


“Don’t stand there and act like you don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about.”


“Okay, well then I’ll just tell you. I don’t know what the fuck you're talking about." He is so full of shit. Ben looks like he’s watching an exciting game of ping pong, but I know he’ll come to Michael’s rescue any minute. So I guess this is it.


“You had to do it, didn’t you? You had to be the one to tell him what I was doing? You couldn’t let me have one chance, one fucking moment with Brian that was just mine—just ours. You fucking couldn’t do it!” Breathe. My tears competing with my anger. My anger’s winning out. “Fuck you, Michael. Fuck. You. And to think that I thought that we were partners, colleagues, on this mother fucking comic book bullshit—but you know what—that’s not even it is it? It’s just another way for you to be involved with him, isn’t it? Well, you can find someone else to illustrate your unfulfilled, unrequited, pathetic excuse for a fantasy life!”


My screaming finally stops because I can’t cry and fuck with my keys at the same time, my wet hands struggling to remove the key to the loft from my key chain. Michael looks dumbfounded as I throw it at him. It hits his chest and lands on the floor, just a few feet where I am now, sliding down the door frame, my face in my hands.


I’m crying so hard I’m choking.


I wait for Michael to say something or Ben to lecture me, but no one says anything. The next time I speak isn’t as loud, but my body keeps jerking from crying so hard.


“Did it dawn on you Michael that I wanted to tell him myself, needed to tell him myself in my own way? That I needed time to figure out how to tell him that I have to leave? Did it?”


Finally, after what seems like fucking forever, Michael speaks too quietly, picking up the key. “I didn’t tell him, and I don’t need this. I have one.”


“You didn’t tell him?” I have the hiccups. Ben brings me some water. Always the healer.


“He already knew.” I look up from my water when I hear a noise. Hunter is standing in the doorway of his bedroom.


“Is it safe to come out here now? What the fuck is going on?” Shit, the last thing I need is to deal with him. Ben can tell, I guess. He walks into Hunter’s room with him and closes the door.


“So you didn’t tell Brian about your job offer?” Michael attempts to put the pieces together.


“No. I couldn’t figure out how to tell him. If you didn’t tell him, I don’t know how he found out.”


“He knew when he came by the store today. He told me you were taking the job.” We're both quiet for a minute, both of us looking at each other like we don't even know each other's names.


“How the fuck would he know I was taking a job when he didn’t know I had a job to take?” Ben emerges from Hunter’s room checking to see if everything’s calmed down.


“It’s okay. Everything’s fine.” Hunter runs out of his bedroom and into the bathroom. I think I’ve actually seen him wearing clothes inside this apartment once. I’ve seen him in his underwear at least seven. “When Brian came by the store today, I asked him if you were taking the job, and he said you were. So he knew.”


“Well how the fuck did you know? I didn’t tell you about the job offer.” I’m so fucking confused right now. I have a bitch of a headache.


“Brett told me. He called me today…….and told me. Oh, wait….that was when….”


“When what?”


“He was there when I was talking to Brett. I asked him then if you were taking the job. Oh shit. Shit. Justin, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize. But why the fuck didn’t you tell him in the first place?” Michael will blame himself for only so long, I guess. I don’t know what to think. I’m really fucking pissed at him right now.


“I have about one hundred and one reasons, but I guess I just don’t want things to change.” He nods. I think he gets it now, feels like he’s felt this way before. “For once, Michael, he’s starting to open up to me. He’s finally letting me love him back. Do you have any idea how long I’ve waited for that?” I just finished off his box of Kleenex. Brian lets me love him back in increments, never all at once. He rations it, gives you only what you need to survive. It’s become a comfortable cruelty between us.


“Yeah, I do. You've waited longer than anybody should have to, and longer than anyone else ever would have. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean.” Michael’s walked this path so many more times than I have, but I’m catching up. I know the shortcuts. Ben isn’t in the room right now, but I know that if he was, Michael would've never let those words come out of his mouth. I stand up and hand him his empty Kleenex box. He laughs.


“I’m sorry I came over here and queened out all over your ass.” I am. It wasn’t his fault. He laughs and tells me I’m not getting anywhere near his ass and offers me a brand new box of Kleenex for the road. I decline, but he makes me smile.


“Are you gonna be all right?” Fuck if I know.


“Yeah. I just need to clear my head, to think.” I’m in the hallway, ready to leave. He hugs me. I’m pulling away when I remember. “Michael?”


“Yeah?”


“If he calls…”


“Haven’t seen you. You’re not here.”


“Thanks.”

 

***************************************************************************************************************


There are few things more exhilarating than driving Brian’s corvette, not that I do it often. I can get into his ass quicker than I can get behind the wheel of this car. I feel powerful. In control.


Something about driving back to the loft knowing that he’s waiting for me and not the other way around, gives me a rush. Drive down Liberty Avenue in this car and a hundred guys will cruise you just for the fucking car, or maybe they think I’m Brian Kinney at first glance. That’s probably it. Then they take a better look and think, “Oh, that’s Brian Kinney’s bottom boy.” It pisses me off that I’m so proud of that.


I park in front of the loft to collect my thoughts.


Three cigarettes later and a lot of pacing back and forth in front of our building, and I’m nowhere. Where do I want to be? I can’t answer any of the questions that are cluttering up my brain. And I know if I walk back in there that we’ll be fucking in no time. We’ll never talk. No more pacing during the fourth cigarette. Maybe I can think better if I stand still.


Doesn’t matter. Time waits for no man.


He’s standing right in front of me. It's now or never.

 

Chapter 4: Solitaire - Brian's POV by plumsuede

 

 

 

lonely night

I'm walkin' alone

tell me, what am I gonna do?


It isn’t like I haven’t been alone in my bed before. Or been alone in my bed or my head right after I’ve fucked him. Or waited for him to get back. Or get home.


I light a cigarette. Stay on my back. Stare at the ceiling. Try to keep my mind on something other than what just happened.


“Yes. That’s all you can say.  Just ‘yes.’” He was outlining the rules for the game we were about to play.The game we played last night. Last night wasn’t tonight.


“I’ve never played this game, Justin.  This ‘yes’ game.  How do I know I even want to play it?” I’ve decided that he does this because he knows that I miss the scene. He knows that I want to be at Babylon in the backroom having my dick and my ego stroked at the same time. And he's protecting me from what I really want. He's building a moat around the castle of Brian Kinney. He's guarding the castle with a ferociousness that he cleverly disguises as unwavering devotion. And he knows that I know that he’s doing this, but I'll never tell him that I know. And he knows that too. He's a better top than me sometimes, a better parent. There's more irony in this bed sometimes than there is fucking.


It was Wednesday night. And we were home. In bed. I was looking over campaign ideas and Justin was next to me, his head at the foot of the bed, playing with the drawstring on his pants and talking to Daphne on his cell phone. It was distracting, but watching his expression change every time she told him something he wasn’t expecting made it all worthwhile. I watched him out of the corner of my eye. I wasn’t really getting anything done anyway.


“Where'd you meet him Daph?”


“You already fucked him?”


“Daph!  I can’t believe you did that! You did not. You did not.”


“Wait, how'd you guys?” He leaned on his side for a minute, like he was trying to keep the conversation private.


“Ooooo. That’s the first time you’ve ever done it like that.” My eyebrow goes up. Good thing he’s not looking at me.


“See, I told you that you'd like it. That’s why you should listen to me more often.”


“Are you going to see him again?  When?”


“Okay.” A pause. He unrolled his drawstring and then rolled it back around his finger.


“It’s him?  You’re kidding?  Don’t you dare fuck him two nights in a row, Daphne. He’ll think you’re a slut.” That’s the pot calling the kettle black, isn’t it?


“Okay, fine.  Call me tomorrow. Bye.”


He rolled back over and looked at me, stretching his arms over his head like a cat. I bit, “Daphne sounds like quite the sex kitten.”


“You shouldn’t eavesdrop, Brian.  That’s rude.”


“It’s rude for you to be in my bed, making me hard by talking to your hot-het-girlfriend about sexual positions, if you want to get technical about it.”


“I want to get technical about it.” He sat up.

 

I put my work down on the floor beside the bed. I was ready to focus on my new project.  “Well, for starters, you have no business calling Daphne a slut. You’re much more of a slut than she is.”


“You think so?”


“Absolutely. And I want to know what sexual positions you are recommending to her.” I really did.


“Why?”


“I’m concerned for her safety and, frankly, I don’t know if I trust your recommendations.” I almost pulled this off convincingly.


“You think you’d be a better adviser?”  


"I think I’m more qualified.” I know I am. I think I am.  Of course I am


“Prove it.”  What's with him and this “prove it” thing lately?  I got up to turn off the lights and started to return to the bed. I do my best work in the dark. My dark brown shirt and black pants hung loosely on my body. I hadn’t even changed out of work clothes when I came home. He rose off the bed, meeting me in the darkness. We couldn’t see each other, our eyes still adjusting, when he folded himself into my arms and laid his head against my chest for a few seconds. I let my hand cover his head and stroked his blond hair, my fingers missing its length. I'll be so glad when it all grows back. He'd worn my cologne.


The challenge he'd just issued me felt like it was waning in the blackness of our bedroom. I wasn’t sure if that was what he wanted or if we were both just smitten for a moment. Either way, I wasn’t going to let him get me off track. I tugged his head tighter to my chest so I could whisper in his ear,


“I’m going to fuck the shit out of you.”


“That’s what you think."


“Huh.” He never quits. The fact that he’s standing in my bedroom four years after we met is testimony to that. He can challenge me without being threatening. A skill few people have. He raised his head to kiss me, and when his lips touched mine, they were strong, and wanting, but not desperate. That's precisely what it is about Justin that kept me here last night and not at Babylon.


When some men kiss you, when they want you, they can't hide their desperation. It leaks through every move they make while they suck you, bottom for you, and, sometimes, even when they fuck you. They can't incorporate themselves and their desire. You're always fucking one or the other. It's never that way with Justin. Justin's integrated.  Hobbs hit him in the skull with a fucking baseball bat, and he still came back like this, like the Justin I met that first night. The Justin who stays with you every second for the whole entire ride--even when he doesn’t know where the fuck you’re going.


“Brian.  Earth to Brian.” His fingers ran over my face.  “What are you thinking about?”


“You.” It’s always best to stick with the truth, especially when there’s an evil grin on your face.


“What about me?”  We had relocated to the bed.  I didn’t remember getting there. I was lying on my back and he was taking off my socks. My eyes had adjusted. I could see him well enough in the darkness.


“Guess.”


“Guess what?” He stopped crawling up my body for a minute.


“Guess what I was thinking about you.”


“No fair.”  He pouted a little. Pouting lips in a holding pattern over my zipper. I was about to remind him that he was cleared for take-off. I didn’t get the chance. “I have a better idea.”


Oh great.  “What?”

 

 

“We’re going to play a game.”

 

 

And that’s how it started, the “Yes” game. He continued.  “I’m going to ask you a question, but the only answer you can give is 'Yes.'  And you have to answer me, or the game stops.  No more fondling, no more sex, no nothing.”


“This is stupid. You made this game up, probably with Daphne.” He was sitting on top of me and had unzipped my pants. His hand was between my pants and my underwear.


“Are you ready to play?”


“This is dumb.” He took his hand out of my pants, got off of me and moved to his own side of the bed.


I protested. “Justin.”


I was inundated with his bratty determination.  Make that accosted. Fine. He won.


“Yes.”


He happily jumped back on top of me, his hand back in my pants. I breathed a sigh of relief, which in retrospect, was probably premature.


“Do you want me to take your pants off?”


Deep breath.  Eyes rolled.  “Yes.”


“Okay.” He was beyond eager. Okay. Beyond adorable.


“Hey, time out.” I made the gesture in the shadows.  “I thought this was only questions and ‘yes?’”


“No, you can only say ‘yes.’  I can do whatever I want. And that was your only time out.” He unbuckled my belt. I’d like to use that belt right now. Slid it out of my pants. I heard it hit the floor. He knew that just totally pissed me off. I don’t throw my clothes on the floor.


“Sorry.”  He apologized.


I rolled my eyes.


“Yes.”


He smacked me on the chest for speaking out of turn, but we were both laughing.


“Don’t do that again, Brian.” I tried to stifle it, but he could feel me chuckling underneath him. “Do you promise not to do that again Brian?”


“Yes.”  I tried desperately to stop laughing, but so did he. I watched him as he regained his composure. His body aligned with mine. I was kind of bummed that he quit taking my pants off until he started kissing me.


“God, you’re hard, Brian,” he breathed into my face as his lips meet mine. He pulled at my bottom lip with his teeth. Drove his tongue softly but firmly into my mouth, encouraged mine to do the same. He ran his hand behind the back of my head to lead me where he wanted me to go. My hand covered his and the other sprinted for his back, for the waistband of his pants. I sparred with his underwear and slid my hand underneath them, resting my hand in the crevice of his perfect bottom. I pressed him to me as hard as I possibly could. It wasn’t enough. I moaned.


“You like my ass, don’t you Brian?” His voice morphed into a seductive whisper. The game had changed. He had changed. He wasn’t goofing around anymore.


“Yes.”  Neither was I.


“You want to suck it?”


“Yes.”


“You want to fuck it?”


“Yes.”  He hovered above my face, watching me deliver every answer.


“Do you know that I love you?”


“Yes.” He leaned in and kissed me again, and it took everything in my power not to take over right then and there. Everything.


“Your pants are coming off now.”  He moved down my body and began unbuttoning my pants. I kind of liked this game, but my frustration level was rising. He laid my pants neatly behind him on the edge of the bed. It made me smile a little. He turned around and took off his long sleeve blue t-shirt. Threw it on the floor.  That didn’t bother me. I bent my knees and accepted his body as it fell on top of me again. I absorbed his warmth as he kissed me. Closed my eyes and felt his hands in my hair. My hands returned to their former resting places. Firm in their resolve. When his lips wandered over to my earlobe, I growled a little when his teeth came out.


“Would you rather be at Babylon tonight?”


I forgot what we were doing. I thought we were finished. I was wrong.


“Yes.”  I can do this.


“Fucking somebody else?”


“Yes.”  His game.  His rules. He hesitated for a minute. I felt him lift his face off of my neck. He was thinking.  I continued with my attention to his face, his ear, his neck, his shoulder. I can multi-task.


“Are you sorry you brought me home that night?” He wanted to dive head-first into the danger zone. Brave little fucker.


“Yes.”


“Sorry that I let you fuck me?” To kiss me like that and then ask me that question was utterly cruel.


“Yes.”  At least my hand was still in his pants.


“You know that I'm never going to let you fuck me again, right?”


“Yes.”  He began to slide down my torso.


“Do you want me to kiss your chest?”


“Yes.” His lips and hands moved down my chest, and he sucked on my nipples slowly. I kept one hand in his hair.


“Are these goosebumps for me?”


“Yes.” He moaned a little and sucked a little harder, causing me to arch into him. Fucker. I didn’t realize that I was pushing his head lower.


“Are you being impolite and impatient?”


“Yes.” He slapped my hand, and then made fairly quick work of slipping my underwear off my hips and down my long legs. So quick that it surprised me a little. I gasped.


“Did I just hear you moan like a slut?"


Yes.  I'm done for. Toast.


“Brian."


“Yes.”  I felt his breath on my cock, just his presence in the region was sending me through the stratosphere. My hips would not stop following his face. They were embarrassing me. I felt his fingers drawing lines from my navel to my inner thighs and back up again.  


“Do you like this?”


“Yes.” His fingers wandered to the wetness I’d created.  Finally.


“Do you want me to stop?”


No.  No?  “Yes.”


“Too bad.” His warm mouth began to cover my cock. My body ignored my mental pleas for restraint and bucked underneath him.  I made a noise that I am not entirely proud of, "Aaaahhaahh.”


“You know that you are a bigger slut than I am, right?”


“Yes.”  It was true. He sucked me hard, pressing on the base of my shaft, making me make and break promises in my head over and over. And then he stopped. Christ.


“Yes.”


“I didn’t even ask you anything Brian.” He couldn’t hide the satisfaction in his voice. His mouth moved down to my balls, and he took the reigning champion in his mouth and toyed with it with his tongue. I held myself still. If I moved, I knew I’d fall off the edge of the world. His lips moved below my balls and I barely heard him.


“Do you want to roll over?”


“Yes.”  It was an unfair question on so many levels. I started to roll over, and he stopped me. He unbuttoned the rest of my shirt and helped me take it off. Laid it neatly with my pants. He took the rest of his clothes off. I had forgotten he was wearing anything. He rolled me over gently. I buried my face in my pillow to keep him from hearing all of the other words I was saying besides “yes.”


I closed my eyes. Felt him straddling me. Felt his entire body on top of mine. My shoulders began to get cooler as his body descended to my waist. I felt his firm hands on my back, and I inhaled as I rode the ride they took to my ass. I held my breath.  


He noticed.


“Can you breathe for me?”


“Yes.”  I exhaled. He knew that this was different for me than it was for him. His left hand reached up into my hair, stroking the back of my head. His right hand remained.


“Do you want this?”


“Yes.”  I did. Not all the time. Not every night. And not from anyone else.


“Are you sure?”


“Yes.” I didn’t have any other choice, did I? His hands roamed back to their original destination, and I inhaled again as I felt his mouth sucking on the beginnings of my crack. His tongue slid lower, and I pushed my face farther into the pillow. Please. Something inside me quivered, shook, and broke.


“You know what you taste like, don’t you?”


“Yes.”  Who the fuck needs anyone else?


I saw something that looked like red, and rain, and anger, and embarrassment, and bravado but I pushed it away as hard as I could. As hard as I could. I thought I smelled liquor on his breath but he was nowhere near my face.


When the only thing I could see behind my eyes was pitch black, I felt him again. Felt him nudging me to lift up. Felt him quietly tucking a pillow underneath my hips. He knows when words are superfluous. And I felt him return to me. Felt my eyes and my hole become warm and open and wet at the same time. And I let them all get soaked.


“You know I'm going to fuck you, don’t you?” I was asking the questions now. I reached down between my legs and pulled the pillow away, crashing his staging area. I turned over and pulled him on top of me for the moment, kissing him urgently.


“The rules are still the same Sunshine. You know I'm going to fuck you, don’t you?"


“Yes.”  He answered me with the truth.

 

I kissed him again and again until there wasn’t any part of his face that still tasted like me. His facial expression was a combination of surprise, arousal, and “I’m up for anything.” One of the perks of fucking the young.


“How do you want it?” He gave me a quizzical look.  “Sorry.  Do you want to be on top?”


“Yes.”


I handed him the condom while I grabbed the lube. He made quick work of his task. On the job training. But that’s the thing about training. It can never prepare you for real life. Sometimes things happen in life that you just weren’t expecting.


“Do you want to get across my lap?”  The look on his face. The smirk on mine.


“Yes?”


“Good.”  I sat up. He was already on my right side on his knees. I kissed him again and when our lips parted, our eyes didn’t. I looked at him looking at me. He was there. Just like always. My right hand slid down his back a ways and urged him over my lap. He fought me only to the extent that he knew that I wanted him to. The view from this location was breathtaking. I had to force myself to remember the rules of the game.


I ran my hand over his ass and between his legs while looking at his face. His head was turned sideways on the bed, and his face locked on mine. More arousal now, less surprise. My left hand reached underneath him and took his moisture. I ran my hand down the side of his face, letting him hold my fingers in his mouth. My words were gentle.


“Are you okay?”


“Yes.”


“Time out.  I mean really.”


“Yes.”


“I’m not going to hurt you.”


“I know.  I won’t let you. I trust you.”


“Time in?”


“Time in.”


My hand went back to his ass. My eyes stayed on his face. I pushed his legs back together. He didn’t like that. He made a pouty face.


“Are you pouting at me?”


“Yes."


“Because I won’t let you spread your legs?”


“Yes.”


“Do you know why I won’t let you spread your legs?”


“Yes?”


“Because you threw my belt on the floor.” I rubbed my hand on his ass slowly. One side and then the other. He was moaning underneath my touch. This was too easy.


“You know I’m going to spank you, right?”


“Yes.” A very hesitant yes.


“And you know why?”


“Yes.”  Less hesitation.


I rubbed his ass a few more times and raised my hand up. I glanced at his face. He was watching me like a hawk. I brought it down on his bottom pretty hard to show him that I meant business. Always keeping it balanced. His expression changed. The hue on his ass changed. Everything got a little darker.  I liked that.


“You liked that, didn’t you Justin?” I caught that face he makes.


“Yes."


“Good.  So did I.” I stroked his ass again, my hand slipping between his thighs to brush his balls and glide over his cock before I swatted him several more times, not very hard, but hard enough to make him flinch a little bit. Hard enough that my hand print was still there for a few seconds even though my hand wasn't. My face became mischievous. My dick became cement. I made sure that he could see the pleasure on my face.


“Did that hurt?”


“Yes.”  I kept stroking him the entire time. His hand had moved to cover his face.


“Why are you covering your face?”


No response. My fault.

 

“Are you covering your face because you’re embarrassed?” That was making me harder than anything else right now.


“Yes.”  It was making him hard too. Harder. I could feel it on my legs. He was dripping on me.


“Do you know that you’re making a mess?”


“Yes.”


God. I wish I had more patience. I couldn't do this much longer. I covered the hand on his face with my hand and brought my other hand down on his ass a few more times. Our fingers tightened together.


“Do you know that your bottom is all red now?” I licked my lips and raised my eyebrow at him.


“Yes.”  Desperation. So underrated.


“Do you know that it’s warm?”


“Yes.”  I slid my fingers in my mouth and then down his crack. I had to fuck him soon if I wanted to feel this heat against me. Otherwise, I’d be spanking him again. My wet finger slid past his hole and he couldn’t hide his disappointment. Poor Sunshine.


“Did you want something?”


“Yes.”


“Did you want this?”  I slid my finger into his hole and felt him pull me.  Slut.


“Yes.”  He wanted to say so much more.


“Don’t you think that you’re a bigger slut than I am?"


“Yes.”  The moan that left his lips came from some new place inside him.  It almost destroyed me.


“That’s what I thought.”  I entered him with more and didn’t argue with him when he broke the rules and called out my name.


“Get on me.”  I ordered him.  I found the lube while he straddled me.  My slippery fingers confirmed what I already knew while his lips devoured mine.  He was ready.  So was I.


I watched the look on his face as he started to take my cock.  His eyes fluttered as he got past the head and as his ring of resistance let go.  I felt myself being invited in.  I knew when he was comfortable because his eyes opened and he looked at me and leaned forward.  I began to move with him, at his pace, until he let me know that he was free and clear.  I pulled his face to mine and kissed him before planting my hands on his shoulders.  It was almost a warning kiss.  Our lips parted, and I pushed him, hard.  The sounds he made competed with mine.  The more he opened up, the more I felt like he was resisting me.  And he knew it.  He fucking knew it.  He took my hands, placing one on his hip with his and the other on my chest underneath his and leaned forward enough to take the lead, or I let him have it. The warmth of his ass on my thighs sped up my endgame.  I felt myself tighten and my hand dug into his hip, pressing him harder and harder into me.  I was determined to push him through the floor.  When the crash hit me, I yelled out something incoherent, some shit that can’t even be translated with our alphabet.  So did he.


“Fuck, Justin, fuck.”  My face was buried in his chest.  I was trying to remember how to breathe.  I don’t think I really cared anymore.  He came around eventually and climbed off of me.  It was the saddest moment of my life.  For some reason, I started laughing.


“What’s so funny, Brian?"


“I felt like that orgasm was trying to kill me.  Like it was trying to hunt me down and kill me.  I think it did.”


“So are you saying you enjoyed that game I made up?”  We were both too fucked out to even look at each other.  We were just lying on our backs staring at the ceiling.


“Yes.”


But that was last night.  And this is no game.  And I’m lying here now, smoking this cigarette, looking at this fucking ceiling by myself.


Goddamnit.

 

Chapter 5: Rage - Brian’s POV by plumsuede

Cecilia, you're breaking my heart

You're shaking my confidence daily

Oh, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees

I'm begging you please to come home


The spell's broken. He's gone. And I still want an answer to my question. Only now I’m pretty sure that I just got one. I turn on the water in the shower and stand there while it runs over me. It's a good ten minutes before I realize that I've washed my hair at least twice already. I lean against the tile, close my eyes and tell myself that he went out for take-out. There's no soap in the soap dish. Just condoms. That's fucking perfect. I leave the warmth of the shower to drip over to the medicine cabinet to get another bar. His pain meds are gone. They were here after dinner. Before we fucked. He hasn’t even taken that shit in months. He doesn’t need them. There are only seven pills left in there, which I know because I took one once after a particularly evil night of indulging and he went off on me. He has no more refills. Stay out of his shit. Queened out all over the place. Like it was oxy or something. But that was ages ago. And they’ve expired anyway. I slam it shut and refuse to look at my face in the mirror. Now or ever.


This is my last bar of soap.


The water cannot get hot enough tonight. I stand there and let it transport me somewhere else, anywhere else—a one way ticket to any-the-fuck-where else. But every time I get there, I end up buying a round trip ticket right back to where-the-fuck-I-am. Finally, I shut off the water, wanting to get out, dry off, and think about what to do. Only I can’t. I sink to the bottom of the shower and just stare at the hinge on the shower door. I feel like I felt when he was out with Cody, only much, much worse. Because at least then I knew he wanted to come back. Why did I take a shower? Now, I can’t even smell him anymore. He's been gone for an hour, tops.


I don’t want to walk back into the bedroom, but eventually I’ve done everything in the bathroom that I can do. My hair's dry. Every part of me looks good and smells good and feels smooth and is prepared to go Babylon, except that I'm naked. I have to go in there to get clothes. I open the sliding door and try not to even look at the bed or the wadded up pile of dark blue sheets in the corner. Or the shattered clock on the floor. I glance at my cell phone to see what time it is. He hasn’t called. He’s probably at Daphne’s or worse. I’ll go to Babylon, have a few drinks, enjoy the scenery. I don’t know what the fuck else to do. I shut the door to my loft and take the stairs. I can’t look at anything but my boots on the way down. Flight after flight. I’ll go back up. Leave him a note. Fuck it, that’s what cell phones are for. I push open the door of my building and the first thing I see is him. What the fuck?


He's leaning against my car. Smoking a cigarette. I don’t understand the expression on his face. Has he been standing there this whole time?


“Get in.” Get in? I can’t hide the relief on my face. I want to, but I can’t.


“Where've you been?” I sound like a nagging wife. I sound like Michael.


“Just get in.” I don’t like his tone.


“Shouldn’t you be over at Michael’s, reaming him out?” Why am I picking a fight with him?


“Been there, done that.” Oh, great. I'm going to hear about this. I acquiesce.


We get in my car and I watch him behind the wheel. His jaw's firm. He looks determined, like he looked those nights when he went out with the posse. I really don’t want him driving my car, especially since it's getting ready to start raining.


He throws the first punch.


“You took a shower.” Artists are observant.


“You took a hike.” I'm honest.


“You fucked me like a high school girl on prom night and then provoked me on purpose.” Sometimes observation is overrated.


“Not on purpose.” If he wants to play rough, I can play rough.


“You never do anything that isn’t on purpose, Brian. From the night you met me under that streetlight, everything you’ve done has been on purpose.”


“That isn’t true.” I swallow hard. That really isn’t true. I don’t think I can convince him of that right now, or myself, but that really isn’t true. He’s also stolen part of it …..


We ride in silence for a few minutes. I look out my window as the storefronts go by; my thoughts retreating into places they haven’t been in a long time. Some of them standing in front of St. James Academy the morning after our first night together, some of them with me as I regretfully walked alone into the hotel that night in my tux, some of them leaning against me as I leaned against him as he leaned against my jeep. I make them stop there. I always make them stop there. My mind's a thousand miles away. I don’t think I even realize that he's talking to me.


“Brian.”


“Brian.” I turn my face from the window, but I don’t face him completely. I don’t want him to see my face right now.


“You were right you know. About what you said earlier when we were in bed.”


“I was right about what? That you’re leaving?” I wish I knew where we were going. I wish I didn’t sound like an asshole.


“That, too. But that’s not what I mean. You were right when you said you thought you hurt me. You did.”


“I’m sorry. You should have stopped me.” Yeah, that’s good, it’s his fault.


“Don’t be obtuse, Brian.” I stop pretending that I don’t know what he means.


“Where are we going? Inspiration point?” I ask him this as he merges onto the freeway. He ignores my sarcasm.


“We’re just driving. Okay? I need to process.” He’s at the speed limit.


“And I’m here because…?” I'm having a hard time not driving, literally and figuratively.


“Because sometime in the next few hours some important shit's going to come out of my mouth, and I need you to be around when I say it. Hand me my bag. It’s in the back.”


I hand him his bag. He pulls out a small sketch pad, a pencil, and throws cds on the dashboard. I stuff the bag by my feet. I don’t even think I’ve been a passenger in my own car before. I watch him closely as he puts the sketch pad on his left leg and the pencil in his left hand. He’s not left handed.


I really don’t want to interrupt him at first because I think I recognize the state he’s in. It kind of looks like the same state I’m in when I’m in the back room and some nameless trick is sucking my dick. I can hover outside myself for a few minutes--if I’m lucky--if Michael doesn’t come interrupt me and break my flow. But unlike that, this seems dangerous.


“You’re going to draw, while you’re driving, with your left hand?” The fuck he is. Of all the deaths I’ve planned for myself, not one scenario plays out like this.


“I have to do this right now. It’s not drawing; it’s pre-drawing. And I’m ambi-dexterous. You know that.”


“Please don’t kill us tonight. And what the fuck's pre-drawing?”


“Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t?”


“I’ll give you two. First, if we die tonight, my will stands as it is, and you’ll get nothing. Two, I haven’t gotten around to asking Jesus for my eternal salvation. So, if we die tonight, you are I are in separate beds for all of eternity.” All of that's true.


“Yeah, well, the first one’s compelling. The second’s a given. You know what pre-writing is. Same thing. When there are a lot of ideas in my head, I have to do this. So I don’t lose them.” I’m afraid to look at that sketch pad right now. “Put on some music. Put that blue cd in. That one that Daphne made me.”


“What is it?”


“It’s just a mix.” I put it in, letting the music fill the void between us for a minute. I don’t even really pay attention to what it is. At this point, I think I’m just relieved that it’s not Highway to Hell. I light a cigarette and offer it to him. He declines. It’s not like he has a free hand to smoke it with anyway.


We ride in silence for a few more minutes. I continue to watch him. He watches the road. I think I’ve seen him like this before, maybe. He’s frustrated like when he got back from taking care of that Bewitched guy. Darren? But more focused. He looks at the road and then back at his sketch pad. A glance up. A glance down. Back and forth. Back and forth. He flips the page. I feel like I’m watching a movie. A movie I shouldn’t be watching. Like one of those indie films that they hype the shit out of but then they only release in NY and L.A. Fuck L.A. right now. I try paying attention to the music. Try to get comfortable in my seat.


You see 'em comin' at you every night

Strung on pretension they fall for you at first sight


That’s what I need right now. Fucking Billy Squier. Squire? Can’t remember. What is this shit we’re listening to? Now I want to know.


You know their business--you think it's a bore

They make you restless--it's nothin' you ain't seen before


“What the fuck are we listening to?”


You crave attention--you can never say "no"

Throw your affections anyway the wind blows


I grab the cd case off the dashboard and start to read the playlist—out loud. “Your’e So Vain, Heartache Tonight, Don’t Bring Me Down, Hungry Like the Wolf, Bad Reputation by Halfcocked? Is that a joke? Everybody Wants You. What is this crap? Songs in the key of Brian?”


You always make it--you're on top of the scene

You sell the copy like the cover of a magazine


“Maybe the song’s not about you Brian. Maybe it’s about me.”


Everybody knows you

Everybody snows you

Everybody needs you...leads you...bleeds you


That’s what I’m afraid of.


You got your glory--you paid for it all

You take your pension in loneliness and alcohol


Daphne made this my ass.


The more you understand, seems the more like you do

You never get away...everybody wants you


“Surely you’ve got something better than this in your bag of tricks Sunshine.”


He ignores me and speeds up. I start rummaging through the glove compartment, looking for my dictaphone. Okay. Ted’s dictaphone. I have this idea that I could offer it to him. That he could record his ideas on this instead of drawing and driving at the same time. It’s what I do in the car when I have campaign ideas in my head. I finally find it and a blank tape and offer it to him. A peace offering of sorts.


“Here. Why don’t you use this? You can record your ideas on this instead of writing them down. It’s voice activated. It’s safer.” I want you safe. “Here.”


“I don’t want that.”


“Will you at least give it a try?”


“I don’t want to. I don’t want to say my ideas out loud. My ideas aren’t oral. I don’t know if you can understand that, but they’re just not.”


“Well, what you’re doing isn’t safe. I think you should just try it and see. Just put it on the dash here--.”


“WOULD YOU PUT THAT FUCKING THING AWAY?!.” He finally looks at me. The dictaphone hits the front windshield, and all but shatters. Piece of shit.


I turn the music off and find the nerve to re-start the conversation after two exits.


“I guess we should talk.”


“You think?” Sarcasm.


“I shouldn’t have said what I said or how I said it.” A cloud passes over his face as I admit this to him. Apparently, I do apologies and regrets on special occasions. He looks straight ahead, but his words are anything but.


“Do you know what I felt like when you said that to me? When you asked me that like that? I felt like adog Brian. Like a fucking dog.”


I don’t understand, but I listen. I listen to him and the pounding rain. They're both getting more intense, as if competing for my attention.


“Have you ever given medicine to a dog, Brian? That’s the way you do things sometimes. You just come up to people that you know love you, give them what you think they need and then hold their mouths shut until they swallow it.”


Jesus Christ. I don’t say anything. He’s speeding up again. His hands aren’t drawing anymore. They are hardly driving. Mostly, they're gesturing wildly. I could have left the music on. You could hear him in L.A. right now.


“And you were wrong about what I needed. You know what I needed? I needed to tell you in my own way—in my own time that I was leaving. And you snatched it away from me. You won’t let me show you that I love you. You won’t let me even know that you have fucking cancer—that you are having a fucking testicle removed—and then you some how find out about my job offer and don’t even give me a fucking chance to tell you in my own way. What thefuck is wrong with you?”


I love you? Please stop this car.


“You think that I'm just some yo-yo fuck toy that you can yank around. Pull him close when you need him. Toss him back when you don’t. There are only so many times you can break someone’s heart, Brian. Only so many times. And then all the while, I’m thinking that you must not love me because you act like such a shit, but then I remember everything Brian. And, you know what? That’s the worst fucking thing of all. Because I want you to know that there isnothing worse than being in love with a man who fucks you like you’re the only man on the planet, when you know you’re not; rescues you in a hotel room after you’ve run away on his dime; shows up at your prom and lets everyone know that you are the most beautiful person in your entire school, in the entire world; then lets you set your own rules and then break them; pays for your fucking tuition even after you break up with him; waits for you while you date other people, dance on a bar, and get revenge on your worst enemies; and then lets you use him as the subject for your fucking motion picture that you’re going to have to leave him to make…. There's nothing worse than that Brian. Nothing. Oh god--"


He's right. There's nothing worse than that. His head collapses on top of his arms which are hugging the steering wheel. His sleeves soak up his tears. And this is because of me. Because of what I did or didn’t do or didn’t mean to do.


And I'm helpless again. I don’t know what to do or what to say. I watch the lines in the road go past and try to focus on them. I don’t wait very long because I can’t. We drive under a bridge, and the rain stops for a few seconds, the space we occupy getting eerily quiet. Finally, I just tell him the truth. It’s the only thing I have left.


“Justin, I think we should turn around.” We should turn around.


I put my hand over his hand on the steering wheel, and it's the first time that I feel like I even have the right to touch him since we've embarked on this journey tonight. He doesn’t push me away. I just want to hold him, to make all of this stop, to tell him that I didn’t mean for it to play out like this. I swear to God I didn’t mean for it to play out this way. But I just keep one hand over his on the wheel and another on his shoulder and comfort him the only way I can when he’s furious and sobbing and driving a corvette down a wet highway in the pouring rain at 85 mph in the middle of the night.


He wipes his face on his sleeve and calms down, and I feel like it’s safe to speak again.


“Can we stop somewhere, Justin? I really need to piss.” He laughs and actually smiles.


“There’s a rest stop a couple of miles up. I’ll stop there.”


************************************************************************************************


Finally, the rain's letting up. He gathers his composure, for the most part, and I watch as he pulls off the interstate and into the parking lot. There aren’t many people here tonight, just a few truckers and a random family or two. He kills the engine which makes everything suddenly very still between us, almost spooky. I glance at his face. He's in between places right now, unsure of his destination. His expression looks a lot like the one he wore the first night when I picked him up, only it’s sadder, not as optimistic. I look away. My expression is changing, too.


“Brian?” He isn’t loud anymore. I answer him, but I don’t look at him.


“What?” There's not much to look at out my window, but I’ll manage.


“We have to talk. I mean, I need to talk to you. I have a lot that I need to say. Before I leave and all.” I think he had more he wanted to say right then but couldn’t. And that was okay because I couldn’t either.


“We have time. For all that. We’ll do all that.” I open my car door to signal that I have reached my saturation point. He follows my lead. We start the walk up the sidewalk to the men’s room. He slides his hand in mine. I don’t pull away.


There’s nothing like fluorescent lighting, cleaning solution, and sub-zero temperatures to jar you back into reality. I let the stark environment sober me up a little, let my body feel the relief of an empty bladder. I wash my hands, shake them dry, and wait outside for Justin. There's an old tree that makes a great prop for me to lean against while I smoke and try not to think. I watch the men file in and out of the rest room. Slim pickings tonight. And ugly. He’s taking way too long. I kill my cigarette and go back in.


“Justin?”


“What?”


“Are you almost done?”


“I’ll be out in a minute.” His voice isn’t right.


“What’s wrong?”


“Nothing.”


“Bullshit.” I locate the stall next to the one he’s in and climb on the toilet so I can see into his. He’s not all right. “What are you doing?” He’s standing in there, leaning against the wall, his hands pulled into his sleeves, his face buried in his hands.


“Please get out of there, Brian.” I hop down. “Is there anyone else in here?” he asks me in a vulnerable voice he has that always melts me. I look around. Kick the stalls open. There's no one in here but us right now. I prop a maintenance sign outside the main door and kick it closed.


“No, just us. What’s wrong?” He hasn’t sounded like this since right after the bashing. He's kind of scaring me.


“I’m just kind of freaking out.”


“About what?” I lean against the outside of the stall door. This is absolutely the last place I thought I’d be tonight.


“About everything. I walked in here, in this bright light, and everything looks and feels different. I shouldn’t have said all those things to you. I just feel like a stupid faggot right now, okay? Can you just not make this any worse for me?”


Can I ever not make anything worse?


“You’re not a stupid faggot, Justin.” I listen to see if I could tell if my words mean anything. It's hard to tell. “I mean it. You’re not.” I need to get in there. I need to be with him, right now--not do this through the door of a bathroom stall.


“Yes, I am. And I think I said those things just to hurt you.”


“No, you didn’t. And besides, it’s okay. I can take it. You can say anything to me, okay?” I sigh. There are so many intimate things that Justin and I can do face to face, and there are some that we just can’t. The silver door is cold against my face. I resign myself to leaning against it with my eyes closed and just listening to him. It’s as close as I can get to him right now, so it'll just have to do. “You can say anything you want to say to me, anytime, anywhere, no matter what, okay? Let’s just get that straight.”


“Brian?”


“What?”


“I’m terrified to take this job. I’m afraid to go to L.A. I’m really, really scared to be out there by myself.”


Now we're getting to the bottom of this.


“You shouldn’t be afraid to go. You should be afraid to stay. Will you please come out of there now?”


“I can’t. I don’t want to. I’m really pissed at myself right now, and I don’t want you to see me like this.” He isn’t crying anymore. His voice is calmer. He's starting to sound like the Justin I recognize again. The one who is always trying to right every wrong, no matter whose wrong it is.


“I’ve seen you like everything. It’s a matter of national security that you come out of that stall in the next thirty seconds.” First I'm trapped in my own car, then I'm trapped in a men’s room because he's trapped himself in a stall. Fuck entrapment.


“Why?”


“Because I have something important to tell you Justin, and I don’t want to say it to a cold, crooked door on a bathroom stall in a smelly men’s room at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold at 1:27 in the morning.”


A row of fluorescent lights dim over my head. I look up just as I hear the stall door click and feel it move.


He lets me in.


The door opens and he's leaning forward writing something on the bathroom wall. I lean in to look.


“What the fuck are you doing? Leaving your number?”


“No, yours.”


I look again at the wall, at the concentration in his hand. There are no numbers on the wall. Instead, there's a sketch of me—from the chest up. More of a caricature really.


“What the fuck?” This isn’t like anything he’s drawn of me lately. My shirt's open, my chest's open, and a heart is revealed—my heart, like a valentine.


“I’m almost done.”


My eyes roam over to the diamond shape construction sign that's connected to my heart. It reads: Pardon our mess. We’re remodeling.


He's right. That is my number.


I lean back against the side of the stall, and all of a sudden this doesn’t seem like such a bad place to be anymore. He puts his pencil behind his ear, and I think I’m going to cream my jeans just from watching him do that. He positions himself between my long legs and leans against me. I feel like a high school senior waiting for a bell to ring.


How can you feel nostalgic for something you never had? I think he can tell what I’m thinking because he remarks about the look on my face.


“You look like the cat that just ate the canary.” I’m trying not to, but he knows when I roll my lips in that he's doing something I can’t resist.


“You drive me crazy when you tuck your pencil behind your ear.” My eyebrow gets in on the act. I have no self-control.


“You mean like this?” He removes it and does it again, only this time his other hand is inside my jeans. He doesn’t play fair. Somebody somewhere must be playing Jack & Diane. I am such a sucker for John Mellencamp.


“Every time I would see you do that at the diner,” I pause for a second to remember it, to smile at him, “it would, um, delay my exit a little. If you know what I mean.” He does. My lips meet his cheek and the pencil meets the floor. It's served its purpose. I kiss his face, his ear, his lips and keep my hand on the back of his head. When I end the kiss, it's slow and soft and warm and a beginning and an ending all at the same time.


“You said there was something important you wanted to tell me. That’s the only reason I let you in here.”


“You made me forget. You put your hand in my pants.”


“Don’t change the subject.” His hand comes out of my pants, but slides under my shirt, which is almost as wonderful, depending on what mood I’m in. I guess I better do this before the bell rings. I lean my head forward so our foreheads are touching and close my eyes for a second. When I finally speak, my eyes are fixed on his.


“I want you to listen to me for a minute, okay?”


“Okay.” He settles against me.


“You said earlier that you feel like a stupid faggot.”


“Uh, huh.”


“You're not a stupid faggot.” I take a long breath and tighten my hold on him. “You are your own man. You have been your own man since the day I met you. And I don’t care if you sleep in my bed, or if you sleep with my dick up your ass, or yours up someone else’s, you are your own man. You are strong, you are smart, and you are beautiful, whether you are here with me or halfway around the world. And you deserve whatever good things come to you in life. Because no matter what happens, Justin, you make my life better. And I don’t want you to forget that.”


I'm silent for a moment because I want my words to sink in. I've never been more serious. I think it takes a minute for him to realize how serious I really am. I watch the very quiet words come out of his mouth.


“I won’t forget it. But you don’t have to do this, not now and not here.” The look of concern on his face almost wounds me. It's the same look he had when we met for the first time after the bashing. He cared so little for himself and worried more about me.


“I’m not done, Justin.”


“Okay.” It’s just a whisper.


“The other day you said that I couldn’t sell the loft because it was the first place we made love or something.”


“Yeah.”


“And I said that that wasn’t love. That I just gave you a rim job and fucked your brains out.”


“Right.”


“Yeah, well, that was then.” And I close my eyes and bury my nose in his hair and just inhale. He doesn’t say anything. He lets me just be, next to him like this, where I want to be, for as long as I want. Until finally my voice finds my lips, and my lips find his ear,


“And this is now.” And that is enough. And his eyes are bluer than I remember, and his lips want me more than they ever have, and this is probably the last time I will ever kiss anyone in a bathroom stall. I'm making sure that I never forget it.


***********************************************************************************************


We start to walk back to the car, but I pull him over to the tree by his jeans so I can kiss him again. I close my eyes as tight as I can, wrap him inside my jacket, and devour him. People are watching us. They think they know what they are seeing, but they don’t. Sometimes when I kiss him, it’s just never enough. Never, never enough.


“Hmmmm. Mmmmm. Brian. Brian....” He frees himself from my feast.


“What?”


“I want some gum.”


He wants gum. The kissing stops. We walk back to the car as I pat myself down, trying to figure out which pocket I put the gum in. I find it and offer him some, and he pops it in his mouth and picks up his pace. I focus on the scenery he offers me as we walk the long sidewalk back to the car.


“You weren’t planning on coming back to the loft tonight, Sunshine.”


“What makes you say that?”


“Those are your ‘fuck me’ jeans.” Actually, those are his topping jeans. The ones he wears when he's in the mood to be in charge. They are old, too tight, too faded. I love them.


“They are just the first ones I found, Brian. I was in a hurry.” He glances back over his shoulder to smile at me—to let me know that he wasn’t planning on fucking half of the back room tonight. “I’m not the one who goes out and fucks half of Pittsburgh when something's bothering me. That’s you, remember?”


He doesn’t have to rub it in.


“Yeah, well, you shouldn’t mock my dysfunctions, considering that you profit from them.” Score one for me.


“Ha. You cause mine.” He isn’t looking at me when he says this, but I see the regret in his body before it even plays on his face. He stops walking and turns around. I can’t even stomach the look in his eyes. It makes me nauseous.


“Brian, I didn’t mean that. I really didn’t.” Of course he didn’t. I’m not an idiot. I didn’t take it that way. I shake my head and gesture for him to keep going toward the car with my hand. He obliges me. When he gets to the car, he unlocks my door for me. No.


“Let me drive.” I reach for his hand, reach for the keys. He doesn’t let go.


“I want to drive, Brian.” He moves in between my body and the car, the door open. He raises his face to mine, his arms around my neck. He blocks me from doing anything but focusing on him. “Did you hear what I just said?”


“Yes, you want to drive.” I try to look at him without looking at him. It doesn’t really work.


“I said I didn’t mean that.” He watches my face for some sort of agreement from me, and I know he won’t move until he gets what he wants. I've taught him well.


“Okay.” I lean into his mouth and kiss him to let him know that I mean it. He closes my car door for me. I watch his lithe body walk around the stingray.


He starts the car, and we pull out of the parking lot and start our journey home. I'm lost in my thoughts for awhile, the exhaustion of the night winning out over everything else. I watch him drive. He's so different now than a couple of hours ago. No sketch pad, no anger, no yelling. He's almost serene. He is so fucking beautiful. I put my seat back a little and try to stretch out as much as a I can in this car.


“Penny for your thoughts?” he asks me with a quiet voice and a warm smile. He runs his hand down the side of my face and tucks my hair behind my ear. I need a haircut.


“I only take Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.”


“Figures. Just my luck. These jeans are so tight, they won’t even hold my wallet.”


“I was thinking about some shit I have to do at work tomorrow.” I don’t know why I lie to him.


“Try again.”


“You really want to know?”


“Yes, I really want to know.” He's definitive but uneager. I turn a little so I can see him better and tell him the truth.


“I was thinking about this thing that you do to me.”


“What thing?” He sort of laughs at me. “Make you hard as a rock when I wear these old levis?”


“No. It’s way worse than that.” I look off for a minute before I continue. He’s looking at me with a curious smile. “You make me miss something I never even had.”


I can't go into any more detail than this. And I’ve thought about it eight ways from Sunday. How being with him makes me nostalgic for football games, marching bands, bleachers, autumn—all that shit I never enjoyed when I had it because I couldn’t—because it was never mine to enjoy. How my presence at his prom that night guaranteed that all of his memories of those things are ruined forever, too. I'll never forgive myself for that. Never. The sadness sits on top of me like a rock. My thoughts are really expensive, but not nearly as expensive as my actions.


He's so nonchalant when he tucks his hand in mine and rubs his thumb absentmindedly over my fingers. He isn’t trying to break my train of thought or get me to emote or anything. He brings my hand to his face and presses his lips to the back of my hand. I move my gaze from the world flying by to him sitting still.


“You’re exhausted Brian. Just go to sleep. We’ll be home soon.” He smiles at me and releases my hand onto his thigh where I leave it for a few seconds. I don’t want to be separate from him right now. He turns up the heat a little and tilts the vent in my direction. I'm going to sell this car and buy a Hummer or something with a lot more fuck room. What’s the point of having a “fuck-me” car if you can’t fuck in it? Beats me.


“I should've fucked you back there, when I had the chance.”


“You can fuck me when we get home.”


That’s the most romantic thing anybody has ever said to me.

 

I slept all the way back.

Chapter 6: Nostalgia- - Justin’s POV by plumsuede

The problem is all inside your head she said to me

The answer is easy if you take it logically

I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free


Apparently, there are fifty ways to leave your lover. I cannot think of one. Well, I can think of some, but, trust me, they all suck. Everything in my life feels so fucked up right now. I am so …conflicted. Yeah…conflicted.


And I deserve to feel this way because I was so confident, so sure of myself, sitting there all eager and hopeful waiting for Brett to get back to us about our movie—like I didn’t know full well that this might change everything or something. And then going out there to that gratuitous “we’re all gay, but we’re not” party of Brett’s, being seduced by the glamour and the “this is Justin Taylor; he created Rage” bullshit. My overwhelmed smile lighting up the room, dazzling movie stars, gaining me entrance to their asses!


And then coming home, disguising my dilemma with well-practiced smiles, unfinished sentences, a willing body, and country-club charm employed my millions of miserable, rich housewives every day. My mother has taught me so many things she is hardly aware of. But I got what was coming to me, just like always. The powers that be in my life are never hesitant to dole out punishment, are they? Only this time, it was so subtle, unlike so many of the other times.


I got home from my trip, resumed my comfortable role with Brian. (Did I just say comfortable?) He was even letting me take care of him. It felt so good. We were becoming normal. Normal is what I wanted right?


So I went to my “this is your life dvd player” and hit “play” thinking that that’s all it would take to move my life forward. Try again Taylor. This function is not available on this disc. What? I pushed it like 400 times. Son of a bitch was stuck on “pause.” I knew I should have saved my money and bought a better one.


I mean I had just figured that any day now would be the right day to tell him that: “I got this great job offer Brian, and I sort of accepted it without even talking to you about it….” But I was kind of stalling because I’m a chicken shit.


But as usual, Brian took care of everything. He went over to my “this is your life dvd player” and hit “play,” and it worked on the first try. Of course it did.


Everything works on the first try for Brian Kinney.


I know why that is.


I think I have it figured out.


He’s the action figure in this story. Not me. I’m not even the stupid sidekick. Hell, I’m not even the writer. I’m just the illustrator. I get paid to wait for shit to happen and to react to it—and not even verbally. I get paid to draw, which, if you ever sit down and really think about it, is a very slow way to react to something. It doesn’t always lend itself well to real life. You don’t always have time to sketch your feelings, and sometimes you just don’t want to. I wanted to be sure, to be careful, when I talked to Brian about going to L.A. that I didn’t hurt him. I can’t bear to hurt him.


I hadn’t drawn anything since Brett offered me the job. My pencil tapped on a blank page a few times, but nothing ever came out. The longer that went on, the more trouble I knew I was in. The worst part about that whole situation was that I couldn’t talk to Brian about it. Or I guess I thought I couldn’t or something.


Then Brian asked me to move in with him. Everything just started swirling down the drain from there, getting away from me, moving too fast.


I thought I had everything I wanted. This was what I wanted from the moment I could ever remember wanting anything, and I could never remember wanting anything as badly as I wanted Brian. The picture may have blurred once or twice during the last four years, but it always managed to come back into focus. Sometimes that was because of me, sometimes it was because of him, and sometimes it was because of shit that I just don’t fucking want to think about right now.


But last night was my fault. He may brew the potion, but I drink it.


It started to happen again, like it always does. I was, as usual, entranced by the spell he was casting over me. My body becoming almost dream-like as he gradually drew every bit of desire out of me, from the tip of my toes all the way to the parted pink of my lips. And even as I tried to fight the good fight, to agonize about what it meant to sleep in his bed one more night without being honest with him, I couldn’t worry about anything when he was seconds from inside me and promising me things I knew I didn’t deserve anymore.


But I waited too long for the right words to come to me, and I ended up hurting him anyway. I should have stuck with what I knew. I should have just drawn him a picture. Anything would have been better than the theater of the absurd that I forced him to attend last night—in the front row, no less.


The ride home went so much faster than the ride there, as if I had a destination in mind. I had nothing. There was nothing but fear and panic in the gas tank. Literally. We were about forty-five minutes from home when I realized that we really were on “E.” Brian was completely asleep and snoring off and on. I felt so bad for dragging him all over the outskirts of Pittsburgh. I found an exit with a gas station right off the ramp. As I brought the car to a stop under the obnoxious lights, Brian stirred a little.


“Are we home?”


“No, we’re not home yet. Go back to sleep. We’re on ‘E’.” I turned off the engine and realized I really didn’t know where my wallet was. Shit.


“I don’t have any E.” He shifted back on his side, the way he likes to sleep.


“I’m not asking you for ‘E,’ Brian. I’m getting gas; we’re on ‘empty.’” Fuck, I needed money. I am a kept man after all. I stepped out of the car into the cold night air and immediately jumped back in to get my coat. I swear it had dropped at least ten degrees. I walked around to Brian’s side of the car and opened his door.


“Fuck, it’s cold!” He pulled away from me a little. I leaned over him and whispered in his ear.


“I need your wallet.” He mumbled something about “back pocket” and “shut the fucking door.” I reached into his back right pocket and removed his wallet, my hand lingering there longer than it needed to.


“I said shut the fucking door.” I did what I was told.


The stale air inside the Exxon felt welcoming for a second, and I took the opportunity to grab some more cigarettes and junk food. I hadn’t eaten in hours. The girl behind the counter looked too young to be working at a place like this by herself at this time of night. I can’t believe I even thought that; she’s older than me.


I smiled. After all, I was on camera and recording.


“$34.57.” I opened Brian’s wallet and was a little taken aback by how much cash he hand in there, well over three hundred dollars. There are just some ways he and I will always be different. I handed “Megan” a fifty dollar bill, the smallest bill in his wallet. She handed me my change, and I fussed with getting it back into Brian’s jammed billfold. I guess, unlike me, he’s always prepared for everything. I had just felt the blast of cold air hit my face when I heard her calling me.


“Sir? Sir.” I caught the door before it closed. I am not old enough to be a “sir,” am I? “You dropped this.” She handed me a white card and reacted to the perplexed look on my face. “It fell out of your wallet.”


“Oh. Thank you.” I took it from her and stepped outside the door to study the dog-eared offering. It took a minute for everything to register. I had seen these before, a long time ago, my patient information cards from Allegheny General Hospital: my name, my room number, my nurse, my therapists, my attending, and the visiting hours. I remember autographing Daphne’s for posterity when I was released, a private joke and a good luck charm between us, now and forever. I flipped it over and read the names of every doctor who worked with me at every step of my recovery, every therapist of any kind, every charge nurse at every shift, the third shift nurses all underlined or starred, and in the corner, the name Miguel. I remember him. It was a lot of information to keep on a 3 x 5 card, and it was a long time to keep it. I slid it back inside his wallet, hoping I put it back in the right place, hoping that he wouldn’t have to know that I accidentally saw this part of him that he almost always hides from me. I returned to the comfort of the ‘vette and resumed my place behind the wheel.


Behind the wheel. I wanted to be here, and I was terrified to be here. Part of me tried to tell myself that the risk in all of this was going to L.A. by myself, working on Rage, but I knew that it wasn’t. That was the easy part. I focused on getting us home as soon as possible. He needed to get in bed; I didn’t think I’d ever seen him sleep so hard.


I wasn’t prepared for what I’d see when we walked into the loft, least of all for what I would be stepping on. Brian had trashed our bedroom, rock star style. There wasn’t much of anything breakable left unbroken. I kept shaking my head back and forth as I picked up the picture frames and put them back in their original places, sans glass. I picked up the big pieces I could grab quickly, righted the lamps, and located what looked like the base of the clock.


“Jesus.”


He pissed and walked out of the bathroom, heading for the bed, and I re-directed him to the sofa to give me a few minutes to clean up. I re-sheeted the bed and picked up as much as I could. If Brian owns a broom, I didn’t even know where the fuck it was. The rest would just have to wait until morning. It was just too late. I went back out to the sofa to get him. He was starting to get undressed.


“Don’t Brian. Leave everything on.”


“That’s a new one.” His eyes were barely open.


“I don’t know what the fuck happened in there, but there is shit all over the floor. Just come to bed, and I will help you get undressed. You can’t walk in there with bare feet.” I helped him up and walked with him to our bedroom.


“I broke some shit.”


“I can see that.” Glass crunched underneath our feet as I lowered him onto the bed. I removed his boots, his clothes, but didn’t bother with his underwear. “Go back to sleep.”


I kicked as much of the glass as I could over to the corner, needing to vacuum. I wasn’t going to do that in the middle of the night. I removed my shirt and pants and slid into bed beside him, sliding my arm around his waist, adhering myself to his weary, fetal-positioned body.


“Mmmm.” He purred against me, and I felt his hand looking for mine. Our fingers intertwined. I kissed his shoulder blade and nestled my face against his back. “Goodnight Sunshine.” He squeezed my hand. I squeezed back.


“Brian?”


“Hmmm?” I knew he wasn’t really listening to me, his breathing was too deep and too slow. I really didn’t want him to be.


“Thank you for coming with me tonight, for not telling me ‘no.’” I felt his left shoulder pushing toward me, felt him easing onto his back. He pulled me underneath his arm, readjusting the blankets.


His drowsy voice reassured me in the chaos of our bedroom.


“Justin, there isn’t a bone in my body that can tell you ‘no.’” He ran his fingers through my hair and told me to stop wearing him out, to go to sleep. I closed my eyes and kept my head on his chest, concentrating on his fingers as they continued their journey in and out of my hair for the next few minutes. He was asleep again, before I was, his hand finally giving up, falling onto my shoulder, and eventually off of me and onto the bed.


I turned over on my side to look out the window, wishing that sleep would envelop me as it did him, but I was not so lucky. I tugged on his arm a little as I tried to get comfortable, and he followed me, holding me like I wanted, his generous hand covering my stomach and folding me into him, his steady breathing in my ear. I buried my hands underneath my pillow and looked for the clock to see what horrible hour of the morning it was before I realized that the clock was gone, no longer part of our world. It didn’t matter anyway. No matter what time it was, it couldn’t be time to leave him.


*********************************************************************************************


I only got two hours of sleep. I am exhausted, but it’s seems to be the wrong kind of exhaustion. Whatever kind it is, it’s working for him. He’s still snoring. I am sitting on the sofa with my feet tucked under the cushions, doodling on my sketch pad, the same place I have been since a little after 7:00 am, when I gave up on trying to sleep. I can see Brian well enough from here. I have to keep an eye on him.


I have to think. I have to go. There is no way Brian will let me stay. He’ll throw me out. I should want to go. Who wouldn’t want to go? I should be excited. I am excited. This is every person’s dream. It would be selfish for me to want to stay here, to pass this up. If I go there and actually make something of myself, I mean, just think, I’ll be rich, maybe famous, fuck famous. Who cares about famous? Rich would be good. And then my parents, my father even, would be proud of me. Brian would be proud of me. I would be proud of me. Fuck it, that’s stupid. I’ll learn so much. And it’s my work, my story, my life, what I want.


Fuck, I don’t know what I want. I know I made a commitment to Brett. And to Brian. Fuck commitments.


There are very few blank pages left in any of the three sketch pads that are with me on the sofa. I have spent the last few hours making up for lost time. I wish Brian had a quieter pencil sharpener. I am down to my last pencil. I hear this very bizarre buzzing sound that I don’t realize is my cell phone on “vibrate” until it starts moving across the coffee table and almost hits the floor. I catch it just in time. Fuck.


The display shows an 818 area code. 818?


Shit, that’s California.


“Hello?” It’s Brett. It’s like 7:30 am there or something.


“Didn’t want to call you too early.” He laughs. I seriously need to think about this guy’s “late to bed, early to rise” shit, if I’m going to go work for him.


“Hey, what’s up?”


“I’ve got some good news about Rage.”


I get off the sofa, and walk farther away from the bedroom, so I won’t wake Brian. “What good news?”


I’m never going to ask anyone that question again. I listen as he tells me about the scheduling conflicts with the studio, the locations, the actors he’s signing, and how all of this is pushing our timeline forward. Fast forward.


“Monday. You are fucking kidding me, right?” You probably shouldn’t talk this way to your future boss, but I could care less right now. Brett is prattling on in my ear, but someone else is pounding on the door to the loft, which is going to wake Brian up, so now I have to go answer the goddamn fucking door. “Brett. Hang on a second.”


I slide open the door and am mostly relieved to see that it is just Michael. And he is alone. Thank god. I motion for him to come in and return to my other problem. He shuts the door for me. I don’t think Brett ever even stopped talking that whole time.


“Brett. Brett. Listen to me. Today is Friday. Monday is—Monday is no fucking way. You told me at least a month.” Michael’s face is changing with every word. Sometimes he is like a Mr. Potato Head, but in a good way. I try not to sound so much like a total bitch.


“It’s just that I need a little time.” I need more than a little time. My pleading is alarming Michael, his expression is settling on “concerned.” Regardless of the tantrum I threw for him, and Ben, and Hunter last night, he is still my colleague and my friend. I listen to Brett’s explanation.


“I know it’s a lot to take in Justin, but it’s now or never. We move or we lose. So we’re moving.”


Michael refuses to blink while all of this is transpiring, like he’s afraid if he closes his eyes for a second he is going to miss something. I sigh and capitulate.


“It’s just that I wasn’t expecting this. Brian just found out last night that I even had the job.” Michael’s hand rests on my shoulder. My forehead is in my hand. Brett tries to cheer me up.


“Well, then it’s probably a good thing that you guys have that ‘open-marriage’ thing or whatever, right? Together because you want to be, not because you have to be?” He means well, but he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about.


“Yeah. Sure.” What the fuck else am I going to say?


“I’ll email you with your e-ticket info for Monday. Call me if you have questions or whatever.”


“I will. Thanks.”


“Oh, and Justin?”


“Yeah?”


“Tell Michael I said congratulations on the birth of his daughter, and tell Brian I said congrats on the birth of his boyfriend’s career.” Again, the man knows not of what he speaks. So, Brett, just shut the fuck up.


“I will Brett. Thanks. Later.” If Brian wasn’t still asleep, I would have flipped the switch and ground up my cell phone in the garbage disposal. Michael and I just look at each other. He could hear every word Brett was saying. The man cannot modulate his voice. He’s so L.A. I put my hand over Michael’s on my shoulder and I study his face before I speak. My mind wanders to something I heard over and over on the ride home last night.


Just slip out the back, Jack.


I force my brain to get back on track.


“I’m going out for awhile.” I start to head for the door.


“Oh, no, you’re not.” He pushes me back toward the kitchen. “I came over here this morning to be sure that you were okay, after last night and all. But there is no fucking way that you are walking out of here and leaving me with that.” He points to Brian’s haphazard sleeping form on our bed, a form that is starting to stir. “I also came to give you this.”


He hands me back my key to the loft. I'd forgotten about that.


Drop off the key, Lee.


“Yeah, sorry about that, throwing it at you and all.”


And get yourself free.


“I’ve never had someone throw just one key at me before. I’ve had people toss a whole set to me, but not quite like that. It’s a good thing you didn’t hit me in the face or something. Ben probably would have kicked your ass.”


Yeah, I know. That thought had crossed my mind. He isn’t done.


“Although Hunter wanted me to tell you that when you get to L.A, audition for some soap opera roles. He thinks you’d make a great daytime soap star after your performance last night.”


“Heh, heh.” I smirk.


“Anyway, as I was saying, I’m not doing the third wheel with you two anymore. I’m a married man, with my own business, a teenager, and a new baby. I don’t have time to be your marriage counselor. From now on, you two talk to each other about your shit.” He points to me and then points to sleeping beauty.


Okay, I get it Michael. Your life is wonderful. I know you’re right.


But let’s face it, there's way more to it than that.


When have Brian and I ever dealt with each other without Michael around for the ride? Suddenly, I feel like the floor has dropped out from under my feet. I thought that this was what I wanted, just me and Brian. The look on my face says something different.


“This is fucked up Michael. I love him, but I don’t know how to handle him by myself sometimes. I don’t even know if I want to.” What the fuck is that about? If I cry anymore, I am going to have to sign up for tear replacement therapy.


“Look. None of this will change overnight.” When did Michael become so fucking reasonable?


“Except that now I have to practically leaveovernight. And he’s going to fucking freak Michael. He doesn’t even know.”


“Then you will tell him. He will act like a total asshole. You will let him calm down. And then you will tell him again.”


“You are better at this than me.” I suck at this.


“Only out of necessity. With a little practice and a little time, you will be too. Give him a chance Justin. I’m going to go.” He looks at his watch.


“Wait, Michael. There’s one more thing I’ve got to ask you before I leave on Monday. Fucking Monday.”


“What?” He pauses and waits for my question.


“While I’m gone, you’ve got to look after him for me. Make sure he’s not working too hard, or getting sick, or whatever because he hides everything, and I might not be able to tell. Okay?” It was so reminiscent of the talk Michael had with me about taking care of Debbie when he thought he was leaving Pittsburgh to live with David. Deja-vu all over again.


“Of course, Justin. You don’t even have to ask. You know that. Don’t look now, but your prince is awakening. That’s my cue.” He hugs me and darts out the door. I follow him.


We stand in front of the elevator. I don’t know what to say. All of a sudden, I just really don’t want him to leave. He can tell. He grabs my wrist.


“Let’s synchronize our watches, okay?”


“What? Why?” I don’t understand. He unhooks my watch and hands it to me.


“10:41 am. Set yours. In seventy-two hours, I’ll be ready to take over, okay? Don’t worry. Now go.” He pushes me a little. “And don’t forget, this is your big break, our big break. Go out there and make us a household name, okay?”


“You know you're turning out just like your mother, right?”


“You are probably the thirteenth person to tell me that today, and I haven’t even had lunch yet.”


“I meant it as a compliment.” I did.


“Just promise me that if I start wearing buttons that say stupid shit or putting crap in my hair that you’ll put in a mental hospital okay?”


How will I know? I’ll be gone.


“Deal.” I swallow hard and smile. Our heads turn simultaneously as we hear a sharp, lost cry from the loft.


“JUSTIN!” Oh shit. He’s awake. Michael has no desire to wait for the elevator now. He heads for the stairs.


“I’ll leave you with Rage. I’ve got enough characters to deal with at my store.”


“Bye, Michael.” I watch as his dark hair descends quickly down the stairs and turnaround to face my day.


************************************************************************************************


“JUSTIN!” He's yelling for me again, but now I'm at the stairs of our bedroom and that just really isn’t necessary.


“I’m right here, Brian.”


“What the fuck time is it?” He has the worst case of bed head I’ve ever seen him have. He really needs a haircut.


“It’s 10:43 am. Don’t get out of bed.” I throw my hand up for emphasis. I look just like one of The Supremes. He's trying to get out of bed. He doesn’t remember, I guess.


“Why the fuck did you let me sleep so late? I’ve got a meeting at noon.” He's untangling his body from the sheets. His voice is beyond irritated.


“I called your office. Told them you weren’t feeling well. But listen to me: you need to stay put for a minute. I’ve got to vacuum. There's glass on the floor from where you smashed everything. I didn’t want to do it until you woke up.”


He looks over the side of the bed at the shards of glass and internal springs and parts of the clock everywhere, like his memory of smashing it and everything else are just coming back. I listen as he berates me for calling his office, for thinking I know his schedule or that his office does, for making decisions for him. I'm so happy when I finally plug in the vacuum cleaner and drown him out. It makes a horrible sound as it sucks everything up, but it's better that listening to him bitch. Sometime during my domestic moment, he finally shuts the fuck up.


“Okay, you can get up now.”


He throws the sheet off of himself and sprints for the bathroom to piss. I roll my eyes. Such drama. I hear him resume his rant.


“I’ve got to go in for that noon meeting. It’s a new client.”


“Just let Ted handle it okay?”


“I don’t let Ted handle brand new clients Justin.” He flushes the toilet, washes his hands, and starts brushing his teeth. “Look at me. I look like shit.”


“Exactly. You’re exhausted.”


“Call Ted. Tell him I’m coming in.”


I hear him start the shower, and I give up. I'm not fighting with him anymore. I find my cell phone, switch my phone off of silent mode, and call the office. Ted is on the phone so I talk to Cynthia.


“Hey, it’s Justin. Brian wanted me to call and let Ted know that he'll be there for the noon meeting with that new client.”


“Hang on. Let me tell him.”


I wait and listen to the hold music. I’ve told Brian before that he needs to change it. It fucking sucks. She's back in a flash.


“Justin, that meeting's cancelled according to Ted.”


“Really? Do you know why? He’s going to ask me, so you might as well tell me now. Otherwise I’ll be calling back.”


“One second.”


More shitty music…..


“Client cancelled and rescheduled for Monday at 10:00 am. That happens a lot with Friday meetings. Not many people want to start something new on a Friday, you know? Friday is a good day to end something.”


Sometimes Cynthia is the smartest person I've ever known.


“Okay. I’ll let him know. I’m assuming that no one needs him there today then, right?”


“Not really. Ted’s a check signer, so he signed payroll. We’re fine. We’ll call him if we need him.”


“Thanks, Cynthia. Have a good weekend.”


“You too, Justin. Take care.”


I end the call and head for the bathroom to tell him that everything's copasetic. We can start our weekend, our last weekend for awhile, right now.


************************************************************************************************


He's almost done with his shower. I know his routine. I stand outside the shower door.


“I called the office. Your meeting is cancelled.”


“Why?” He's pissed now.


“Cancelled by the client Brian. They rescheduled for Monday morning at 10:00 am. You didn’t lose the client.” I know that this is what he's worried about.


“Well, I still have to go in. I have things I have to take care of. It’s my company Justin. I can’t just not show up.”


Right. I'm immediately sorry when the next words come out of my mouth, but I'm not quick enough to stop them.


“Can’t we just spend today together?”


He shuts off the water and answers me.


“Tonight. Not today. Can you hand me a towel?”


I hand him a towel off of the shelf and exit the bathroom. I'm about three seconds from killing him; I need to do something else.


I've never loved someone and hated someone so much at the same time as I routinely do with Brian. Sometimes I feel like I should have gone to school and majored in “How to deal with impossible people—that you accidentally fell in love with” or some shit like that. He's lucky that I got rid of that gun that Cody let me play with for awhile because right now I'd go cock it at the side of his head. But then I regroup and take Michael’s advice and come up with a new strategy. Yeah.


Make a new plan, Stan.


Suitcases. Fuck, I don’t have any luggage here. Think again.


Hmmm……. Legal pad. Check the desk. Second drawer. Bingo. Find a pen. Back to the bedroom. Sit on the bed. Occasionally say shit out loud.


Make a list. “Things to pack for L.A.”


Clothes, underwear, sketch pads, art supplies, toiletries, meds, shoes, coat, day planner, condoms, lube, socks, tap pencil while I think….


Cell phone, charger, both types, checkbook, credit card, camera, photo album, computer, sheets, towels, pillow, blanket, suit, tie, dress shirts, think, think, think….


I need to call my mom and ask her where my luggage is. I hope it's at her place and not at my dad’s. I don’t want to have to deal with him. Maybe she'd go get it for me and not make me have face to him. God, I'm such a pussy.


Brian's trying to decide what suit to wear. Nothing's making him happy today. I guess we have that in common.


Think.


Tap.


Think, tap.


Dancing queen…. Dancing queen?. Oh wait, that’s my cell. That’s Emmett, which reminds me: I need to pack my ipod, my headphones, all the shit that goes with it, my cds….


I walk over the to the bar to answer my cell.


“Hey Em.”


“Sweetie? I just heard from Michael that congratulations are in order and that you're leaving us on Monday. Is that right?”


I'm back in the bedroom now, back on the bed, doodling on my list.


“Yes. You heard right. I’m flying out on Monday morning.” I don’t really care if Brian hears it like this. He can go to hell right now.


“Well, I hope for your sake that the flight is standing room only.” Emmett talks to me in his sing-songy voice.


“What?”


“Honey, your ass is going to be sore as hell come Monday morning.”


God I hope he’s right. I give Emmett the laugh he deserves for that comment. Maybe Emmett's smarter than Cynthia.


“I hope so Em. It’s not looking too promising at the moment.” I cut my eyes in Brian’s direction, but he's hiding his reaction from me. For an out and proud gay man, he sure spends a helluva lot of time in his closet. Nothing is lost on Emmett, though, as usual.


“Um, honey, I guess that’s why they call it the blues.” Leave it to Emmett to hit it on the head. “So, you have any big plans for the weekend or are you just gonna look at the ceiling?”


“I wish I knew.” I’m being cunty, but it’s Emmett, so that’s okay. “Actually I’m making a list right now of everything I’ve got to pack, got to buy; there’s just not enough time. By the way, how did you know all of this so fast?”


“Honey, we were on a 3-way before Michael’s feet were down that stairwell. Stay with me here.”


“I figured as much.” I can hear Em in the background giving the play by play of my conversation to Ted. He must be at Kinnetik.


“Brian’s being a cunty bitch to Justin. Justin’s making a list—he’s got to shop, pack, that boy is going to be bus-y this weekend, if you know what I mean. Teddy, don’t..”


Apparently, I'm speaking to Ted now.


“Hey.”


“Hey Ted.”


“Do me a huge favor and fax or email me that list. Auntie Em has absolutely nothing to do today but sit in my office and chat my face off, and I need to close the month. She can go shopping for you. Oh, and congratulations and good luck—which you won’t need. You're obviously the chosen one.”


“Thanks Ted.”


“Hey, one more thing.”


“Yeah?” This is the longest conversation Ted and I have ever had with each other.


“Be careful out there Justin. L.A is a whole different world. You won’t have your fire breathing dragon to protect you.” I hear Emmett grab the phone and fuss at Ted.


“Don’t scare him Teddy. He’ll be fine. He’s got youth and bliss on his side. He’s not you.”


And then the part I’m supposed to hear:


“Honey, don’t mind him. He’s on the rag. I'd love to go shopping for you. It’s my second favorite past time. Please, please let me.” I know he’s jumping up and down.


“Sure.” I’m relieved, actually. “What did Ted just say?” I heard him mumble something.


“Oh, he said that I would pass up a Drew Boyd fuck-session to spend Brian’s Kinney’s money.”


“He’s right Emmett.” We're all three laughing really hard now. Brian's pissed because he doesn’t know what’s so funny.


“Watch it, sweetie. I know what you won’t pass up. You may be Brian Kinney’s fuck, but you’re still my bitch. Now, rattle off that list to me.”


There isn’t a fag in this town that won’t put me in my place, is there? I read my list off to Emmett and laugh when Brian yells at me to “add soap.” I do.


“I’ll see you a little later honey, packages and all.” And he’s gone. And I’m back to me, Brian, and my list. And it’s all quiet again.


I’m not even going to bother looking at Brian’s face for the inevitable disappointment. I don’t have time to be disappointed. I cue my phone to my mother’s cell number and hit send.


My mother knows about my job--what she just doesn’t know that I'm leaving on Monday instead of in a month. I break it to her the best way I can. Maybe Brian can listen to my conversation with her and realize that it isn’t just his roller-coaster of emotions that I have to juggle. Not everything in my fucking life revolves around him. My mom's a little flabbergasted at first, but she adjusts. She is excited for me. I get to the real reason I'm calling.


“Mom, where's my luggage? I’ve got to pack.”


“It’s in your father’s attic.” Shit. That’s what I was afraid of.


She has to go because a client is calling in, so we agree to talk later. I I look back down at my list and add “luggage.” Fuck. Just what I needed. Brian interrupts my train of thought.


He's standing beside the bed as close as he can get to me in his gray suit pants, the dark gray ones, which are unzipped, unbuttoned, and unbelted. My eyes move up his body: his legs, his crotch, his stomach, his chest, his face. I wouldn’t say he has an entirely pleasant look on his face.


“What?” He does smell good though. I’ll give him that.


“So what ring do you have for me?” It takes me a minute to realize what he’s even talking about.


“None of your fucking business.” I look back at my list. Start drawing columns and shit. I'm seriously not in the mood to play “Guess My Avoidance Behavior” right now.


“Fine.” He gives up and goes to the kitchen. I hear him open the refrigerator. I start making a list of the errands I have to run before I leave.


My cell rings again. It’s him. Mother fucker. I answer it.


“Very funny.”


“Well, you won’t talk to me.”


“I wonder why that is Brian.”


He won’t stay on topic. What a big surprise. “I like that ring you have for me.” He has never heard my special Brian Kinney ring tone before-until now.


“I’m getting ready to change it.” I am, that decision was made a few days ago.


“Why?”


“Because I think my mother is seeing somebody.” I lean over and look at him. He's standing in the kitchen with his back to our bedroom, focused intently on our conversation. I shake my head, grin, and give up. I guess there are some things that Brian and I can’t do face to face.


“I don’t follow.”


“I had dinner at my mom’s the other night. Remember?”


“Yes.”


“Well, when we were done and cleaning up and everything, she played that very same song and danced like an idiot while we were clearing the table.”


“Your mom is an Elvis freak? So what?”


“My mom is an Elvis freak when she’s horny, Brian.”


“Get out. Go Mother Taylor.”


“Shut up.”


“But I don’t see why I have to suffer just because your mom has found her mojo. That song is me. I am a little less conversation and a little more action.”


“Not today you’re not. Today you're a pain in the ass.” Sometimes it’s my job to point out the obvious.


“Yeah, sorry about that.” I think Brian's trying to make up for a lifetime of “no apologies” in twenty-four hours or something.


“Yeah, well sorry is bullshit and a waste of time. Time, incidentally, that I don’t have. So unless you have something to say that's going to move the plot along, I’m hanging up.”


I corner him, and he makes his move. “You didn’t tell me that you were leaving on Monday.”


“I just found out about fifteen minutes before you woke up Brian. I thought I was leaving in a month. But, in retrospect, it’s probably better this way because there's no way in hell that I could put up with you acting like this for four weeks.”


I lie back on the bed, pushing my list to the side. I can hear him breathing into the phone. I listen to his footsteps as they get closer to me. I should hang up, but I don’t. He doesn’t either.


“Well, I want to keep my ring.”


“No.” I already know what I'm changing it to, and I'm not going to tell him, even if he is lying beside me on the bed now.


“Can I have another Elvis song then? Burning Lovemaybe?”


“No.” He cannot have Burning Love. We're both lying on the bed staring at the ceiling talking to each other on our cell phones. This has got to be one of the stupidest things we've ever done.


“Heartbreak Hotel?”


“No.” Like I want to hear that every time he calls me. “I am about to change it to Walking on Broken Glass if you don’t shut the fuck up about it.”


“You know what Elvis song reminds me of you?”


This I can’t wait to hear. “I have no idea.” He turns his head on his pillow and raises his eyebrow at me. I get instant butterflies in my stomach every time he does that thing with his eyebrow, and he fucking knows it too. He’s doing it on purpose.


“Devil in Disguise.”


“Wow, that’s quite a compliment.” It is. It really is.


“You should be nice to me now and compliment me back.” Leave it to Brian to be subtle, especially when his eyes are locked on yours.


“What do you want me to say?” I might as well ask because he’ll just tell me, and then I can just say it, and we can hang up.


“Something really nice, like, ‘Brian, you are my Elvis.’”


“Um, that would be a really nice compliment, but I don’t know if I really feel that way about you right now.” God, that was so mean, but he totally deserves it. I’m such a bitch. “I don’t really think of you as my Elvis, more like my Fonzie. You know?”


He digests this information, doesn’t seem to like it that much.


“Is that right Sunshine?” I nod, scrunch my nose a little. I'm in way over my head. “Well, then, I suggest you take cover.”


“Why?”


“Because I’m getting ready to jump your shark.”


Finally. End of conversation. Cue the action.


It’s been a while since we wrestled like this. Oh fuck. He’s going to kick my ass. God knows where my cell phone just went. His knees fly between my legs and glue me spread eagle on the bed. He’s on top of me on all fours in a flash. Like I mind.


Advantage: Brian.


He starts tickling me. Jerk.


“Stop it, Brian. Stop it.” I try in vain to get out from under him. Hopeless. “I mean it. Fucking stop it.” He seems to be finally satisfied with my complete and total helplessness and quits assaulting me. I don’t trust him though; I know he’ll start back up the minute I let my guard down.


“You think I’m your Fonzie?” He rolls his lips inward and smirks at me and my stomach flips again. My body is tense with mistrust. I refuse to blink. I am smiling though, underneath him, like a complete idiot. I can’t stop. Maybe he's done tickling me.


“Well, you know how on Happy Days it was always kind of distracting how Fonzie could be the idol of all those kids when he was clearly so much older than they were?” I figure I’ll just go for broke.


“Taylor, you are on very thin ice right now.” I'm kind of mad that my dick is getting hard when I am trying to hold my own here. My dick is such a traitor.


“Yeah, well, I had a crush on him anyway.” It’s true. I did. I’m not proud of it, but I did. We can all thank TVLand for that. Brian grins at me, like I just made him the happiest Fonzie in the world. I feel so swoony inside. My body finally relaxes.


“Well, I do love motorcycles and lovesick teenagers who hang all over me.”


True. “And you have great friends who act like idiots sometimes.”


He's stopped listening to me, and I've stopped listening to myself. I don’t know if it was the motorcycles or the lovesick teenagers or what, but he's all over me. Happy days are here again.


“I haven’t fucked you on white sheets since I tracked your ass down in New York.” His words are breathy in my ear, and I welcome the warmth of his body on mine as he relinquishes his predatory 'king of the jungle' stance. I'm so ready for this.


“You were out of dark sheets. These were all you had left.” My words come out in between his attacks on my face.


“You put me to bed last night didn’t you? You tucked me in.”


I keep my lips close to his. He's so warm. “You were out cold. You slept on the couch while I put sheets on the bed. Do you remember that?” He can’t answer me for a while because my tongue is in his way.


“I remember that I was trying to take my boots off, and you wouldn’t let me.”


“Because there was glass all over the floor.”


“I guess I was Rage last night, you know, after you left and all….”


It takes a minute of kissing, sucking, nibbling, and pausing for him to realize that he just made me think of the movie, and L.A, and leaving again. And then I realize that he’s sorry he made me realize that, and then I feel everything I don’t want to feel right now. Now is a good time to forget.


I can tell by the look on his face that he wants to forget it too, that he’s trying to concentrate, to focus on just what we’re doing right here, right now. I should help him. I should try harder.


I try looking at him while he’s kissing me, but I can’t. And to be fair, he can’t really look at me either.


And that is when I realize that there is nothing more fragile than being loved by Brian Kinney, and that sometimes I just want him to break me.


His eyes open briefly right then and, I swear he feels my quandary without me even saying anything. The expression on his face has changed. I’m not the man who is going to leave him; I’m just the man he is getting ready to devour. He's made the transition. I wish I could make it too.


I feel him rise up off of me and hasten his pants off like they are on fire. I think his underwear just vanished. He discards my clothes like junk mail, in a way that makes me feel guilty for even owning any.


He presses me close to him and steals kisses from me before I can even offer them. Sometimes they are fast, feisty, drive-by kisses, and sometimes they are slow Gone with the Wind kisses that break my heart into a million pieces. I can’t leave this man. I just can’t.


I let myself melt into him. His hand travels down my back, on top of the crisp, white sheets. I moan a little into his neck, and he rewards me by letting his fingers glide down the crevice of my ass like he’s touching a very expensive crystal goblet. He molds the material to my body, making it tighter and tighter and tighter against my back, my ass, my thighs, his hand cupping my bottom. I can feel the warmth of his hand through the cotton, the possessive squeeze. Oh god, I’m going to miss that so much.


“You have no idea what you do to me Justin.”


His hand is moving again, tugging at folds he’s made, working it’s way underneath the covers.


He begins the process of gently preparing me, so much slower than I want, so much slower than I deserve. I feel him massaging my hole so softly that I don’t know if I want to scream or cry or just give him all of my money. He leaves it all alone, and I'm about to say something I’ll regret, but I can’t because that very same finger is in my mouth. Asshole. I suck on it harder than I’ve ever sucked on anything, and it's gone before I can finish, replaced by his lips, his tongue, and his words,


“I don’t know what you’re waiting for.”


I crush my face into the pillowcase and inhale. God, I love these sheets, this bed, this room. I love his hand running down my back again. I love the promise of knowing what’s coming next. I feel his left arm slide underneath my chest and pull me close to him. Fuck. This is what I want. My right hand reaches for my cock.


“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”


My hand leaves the scene of the crime, but not before he tucks the empty condom wrapper in it.


I'm wrong; I'm not prepared for anything.


I'm not prepared to pine for that wide, familiar burn that rips through my body when Brian fucks me like this. I feel like he's chasing me off of the end of our bed, and I don’t want to get away, but I'm still running. Why am I still running?


He's bigger and stronger and faster than me, and I'm no match for him. My hands cling to the mattress at the head of the bed, my fingers digging into anything that will give way.


His hands grab my hips and pull me back in one swift move, and I feel his hot steam in my ear.


“You’re not going anywhere. Do you hear me, tight boy?”


God, I hope he’s right.


I push up on all fours in an effort to participate in some half-hearted way, and he laughs at me a little and smacks my ass.


“Don’t bother now, Sunshine. We’re almost done.”


I let my head fall onto my arms, and hold on for the home stretch. I should have never cut my hair. It would have really come in handy right now.


I offer him some sort of consolation prize and clench my ass muscles as an afterthought.


“Oh, now that was a really nice gesture. Oh, fucking Christ,” he falls on top of me, pushing every last inch of himself right through me. I lace my fingers through his and squeeze as he rides out every twitch, tingle, and syllable that is me. That's us. That's almost Monday. That's the next few minutes of breaths to catch, thoughts to organize, and mostly just sounds of silence.


“Justin?”


“Hmmm?” His hair is in my mouth.


“Can I be your Elvis now?”


I think about it for a minute, mostly just to make him suffer. Fair is fair.


“Okay, but only on one condition Brian.” After all, I actually have a negotiable position now; well, not right now. Right now, I’m still flat as a pancake.


“What condition?” He’s still Brian, always Brian, reticent to give up anything, even for a permanent piece of tight, extremely sore, blond boy ass.


“You can be my Elvis as long as you quit playing the part of Rage in real life. Okay?”


I start to wonder if he is going to agree to this because he doesn’t answer me right away. Maybe I shouldn’t have asked. Maybe what happened at the rest stop stays at the rest stop.


“Okay. Deal. I’ll take Elvis over Rage any day.”


“Then it’s settled. You can be my Elvis. We could shake on it, but I kind of can’t move here.” I guess we just fucked on it.


He lifts up a little so that I can breathe easier and nuzzles me before collapsing again.


“Justin?”


“What?”


“Thank you very much.” He thinks he’s really funny.


“Anything for the King, Brian.” He pulls out of me slowly and my reaction is audible. He tore through me, and he knows it, but there's no way in hell that I'm going to complain.

 

Too much paperwork.

Chapter 7: Countdown-Brian's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

I open my eyes and squint at the sun barging in my bedroom. Everything is way too bright in here with these white sheets and this blond pot of gold nestled beside me. Whoa.


Why Gus fights me when it’s time to take a nap I’ll never understand. Naps are way better than drugs, especially when you’ve got real sunshine in your bed.


Fuck, I need to wake up. I’ve got a lot of shit to do in the next few hours, but letting go of his warm, sleeping body doesn’t seem to be one of them. I guess I’m staying put for a little while. I continue to hold him snugly against me, the way we’ve been for a little over an hour.


He doesn’t really move much when my hand releases his and starts to stroke his pubic hair. It takes him a minute to acknowledge me. It's one of the best minutes of my life.


He rubs his hand over his nose half a dozen times and scratches the back of his head. “Brian, that tickles.”


“You’re no fun.” His hand pauses mine, so I stop and focus on something else. “You’re hard.”


“You’re smart.”


“Shhhh.” I burden his body with mine and push my intentions into his ear. “I want this, okay?”


He gives me that sleepy smile, and I lean over to kiss him—mostly out of obligation it seems. It seems wrong to fuck him while he’s asleep without at least frenching the shit out of him first. He isn’t very interested in my suave moves, deciding instead to punctuate my effort with a half-assed moan that is clearly just for my ego. He rolls back over and cuddles up with his pillow.


My lips slide off of his onto his cheek and onto his neck while I reach over him for a condom. My dick settles in the niche of his ass where it will always belong.


His hand darts out from under the pillow and flicks the condom from my fingers.


“You don’t need that.”


He’s a fast little fucker. I barely saw his eyes open. I snatch it before it flies off the bed. I’m fast too. His hotness is only ever surpassed by his twatness.


My arms slide under his chest, wrapping around his shoulders. The lower half of my body is getting ready to betray the upper half. I feel the disappointment in his body underneath me, although he’s trying not to show it. Sometimes he misunderstands me, just like everyone else.


I forget sometimes that he’s so young, that there are some things I guess I just shouldn’t expect him to know or understand yet. And there are others that I’m just not ready to tell him.


I won’t tell him that he will never, ever get a spare set of keys to any car I ever own ever again.


I won’t tell him that I fuck him raw in my mind at least five or six times a day, every single day—or that that number was a lot higher when he preferred classical music.


I won’t tell him that there isn’t a part of me that ever wants to put one of these fucking stupid things on, even as I lie here and do it anyway--like I want to dull any part of me that experiences any part of him. I ought to tell him that I’m insulted.


But then there are some things I will tell him. There are some things he needs to hear from me and only me, especially when my cock is centimeters from his slippery hole. I inhale and close my eyes before I whisper anything to him.


“You know, you shouldn’t be such a twat when I’m showing you how much I love you.”


My words sink in just as I do, granting him the resistance that I gladly suffer through, that has become my guilty pleasure. And I am there for him when he reaches back over his shoulder, touches my face, strokes my hair, and tries to hold onto me. God, I want him to hold onto me. At least for now. At least until Monday.


Shit. The expression on his face right now is worth more than this fuck to me. I smother him with my mouth and french the awkward fuck out of him, ignoring him when he gasps for air. The kissing stops, his breathing resumes, and my thrusting quickens. A cloud darkens our bedroom.


I'm not so gentle anymore, pushing him where I want him, my hand roughly gathering the skin on his ass.


“Fucking squeeze me like you did this morning.” I'm gruff in his ear, my unshaven face scraping his neck. I get what I want. I'm getting it now. Oh fucking Christ, oh fucking Christ. He reaches for me again, but I stay too far—


“Aaaaah. Fuck. Me. Oh god Justin. Oh god.” He doesn’t have to say a word to get what he wants. I come closer. “Hold onto me.”


And I thought cancer would kill me.


************************************************************************************************


Cynthia looks more than surprised to see me when I walk into the office. Her chair zips backwards, and she bolts in front of her desk, in front of me.


“Hey Brian. Are you all right?” She is giving me a really weird look, and she's touching me. I step back a little. I guess she thinks I’m sick?


“Yeah, I’m fine.” I sound defensive. I look around. There are more people working here on a Friday afternoon when the boss isn’t around than I thought I’d actually see. Good for them. Then I notice that they are all sort of giving me weird looks too. Does everybody know my fucking business in this office? Now I’m just fucking irritated. Bad for them. Whatever. Fuck them.


“Is Ted in?”


“Yeah. He’s in his office.”


“Thanks. I’m not here.”


I stand in the doorway of Ted’s office for a minute and just watch him work. The man is worth more than I pay him, and I pay him quite well. The tape from his adding machine is almost long enough to meet me at the door. He hasn’t even looked up.


“Knock. Knock. Knock.” He jumps.


“Jesus, Brian. You scared the shit out of me.” I stroll into his office and plop down in a chair in front of his desk.


“You know, Theodore, I wasn’t kidding when I sent you that email about casual Friday.” He is starting to dress better than me. He gives me a quizzical look.


“I had a hard time deciding what to wear today—on this special occasion.”


“What special occasion?” Oh fuck, I forgot somebody’s birthday or some shit.


“Apparently today is ‘I just fucked Justin five minutes ago Friday.’” Now I have the really weird look on my face. “Did you bother to look in the mirror before you left the house? You're sporting that ‘freshly fucked’ look.” I am? “Here.” He hands me the mirror he keeps in his top left drawer. The same drawer he kept his dictaphone in. “Fix your hair.”


He mumbles something about, “Shaving would have helped.”


I look at my face in his mirror. No wonder everyone was looking at me. My hair looks like it’s still fucking Justin. I'm jealous of my hair.


“Excuse me for a minute.”


I unlock the door to my office and retreat into my private bathroom. I have everything I need in here to come out looking impeccable, except time. I wet my hair and comb it a little, making myself presentable and locate some cologne. That'll do for now. It'll have to. I return to Theodore’s office to see if I meet with his approval.


“Better?”


“Much. So what are you doing here?”


“I need to talk to you, and I’m hungry as hell. You got anything to eat?”


“Fridge.” I walk over and open his mini-fridge.


“There’s nothing but bottled water and vanilla pudding in here.”


“Sorry boss. Today’s payday. I’ll buy groceries this weekend. Time’s are tough.” I take his last two puddings and a bottle of water. I’m fucking starving.


“Spoon? Please?” He hands me one, pretending it’s his last. I keep Ted comfortable, and we both know it.


“What do you want to talk to me about? I hope it’s not month end because I don’t want to talk about that.”


“There’s a problem? Something I need to know about?”


“Nothing you need to know about today. We’ve got GL issues, but I’m fixing them. It’s just time consuming.”


“That’s what I pay you for, right?”


“Right. So, what’s going on?”


“I need you to do something for me. Well, you and Emmett actually. It’s kind of a personal favor that I kind of need Emmett for more than you, but I’m not letting him do it by himself. Oh, and I need it done by tomorrow at two o’clock.”


“Okay. This sounds expensive and intriguing. I’m completely hooked. I’m assuming this has something to do with Justin?”


“Yeah.” I’m doing a pretty good job of not getting emotional about this. “It’s going to take some time, but it should be kind of fun. Emmett doesn’t have an event this weekend, does he?”


“No, it got cancelled.”


“Okay. I’d do it myself—I mean I’d really like to, but I need to spend my time with him. You understand?”


“Sure. Are you gonna tell me what it is you need me to do or do I get to guess?”


“Yeah, here. I’ve written most of it down.” I hand him the notes I’ve made—who he needs to call, which credit card of mine to use, etc. “Just a couple more things. I need Emmett to call me once he’s done running errands for Justin today. I don’t want to call him and catch him while he’s at the loft. If you guys need me tonight after five or tomorrow, just call my cell. If I don’t answer right away, I’ll call you back. I’m going to be busy tonight and tomorrow. I’d rather you call me Ted because I can pass it off as work related.”


He reads over my notes, making sure he understands everything I’m requesting. “Okay. This is really, really—“


“Don’t.” I stop him. This is already hard enough for me.


“Can I just ask you a question?”


“Sure. It’s a free country.”


“Are you all right with all of this? With him leaving like this?”


“Next question.”


“Um, okay. Is he all right with leaving like this, with leaving you?”


“Strike two.”


“Okay. Will you be here on Monday for our meeting with that new client?”


“Absolutely. 10:00 am. I’ll be here.” I push my chair back and stand up, throwing my trash away. “Don’t forget to tell Emmett to call me, okay?”


“I won’t forget. Have a good weekend, Brian. I’m sure you’ll make it a memorable weekend for both of you.” He stands up as I leave.


“Thanks for taking care of this for me. I’ll see you on Monday.”


“See you on Monday.”


I wave good-bye to Cynthia as she's on the phone and feel slightly relieved since at least one of my tasks is done for today. A few more to go. This is one of those days where it would have behooved me to just hire a personal staff—an army of people to handle things for me so I can go back home and just keep fucking Justin.


For a minute I sit in my car and think about how cool it would be to have my own squad of up-and-comers like on The Apprentice. A bunch of over-eager, good-looking, well-dressed twenty-somethings tripping over themselves to make me happy, handling all of the trivial details I have to handle everyday at Kinnetik….


Covering for me so I can at least go to LA with him for a few weeks and help him get settled. Yeah, right.


Marching into my conference room every week, so I can fire one of them, send them packing because I don’t need them anymore. Because my life has gotten simple again. Work, Trick, Sleep, Repeat.


I fucking hate reality television.


I fucking hate reality.


**********************************************************************************************************


I quit feeling sorry for myself and call Lindsay at the gallery and break Justin’s news to her. She's too busy today to stop what she is doing and show me her new apartment. I figured that would be the case. We try to figure out a way to work our schedules out. She has a plan. I can always count on Lindsay.


“Okay. Let’s do this. I will pick up Gus at school and Justin at the loft after work and drop them at the diner. They can have dinner together. You can join them when you finish up. That would work better for me anyway, Brian, because I’ve got to come back here tonight for a small function we are having. Will that work?”


“I don’t see why not.”


“Then you and Justin can bring Gus home, and you two can see the new apartment quickly and get back to your alone time. I mean Justin’s got to see Gus before he leaves.”


“I know. I thought about that. He’ll want to see him. What time will you pick him up?”


“Probably around 5:30 pm.”



“I’ll call and tell him to be ready. Thanks for doing this Linds. I need the time.”


“I understand. I just can’t believe he’s leaving so soon, but we’ll talk about it later. Go do what you have to do.”


“I can’t believe it either. I’ll see you tonight.”


Our call ends, and I'm thankful that I have at least one blonde in my life who knows when to make things easy for me.


Actually, that’s not fair. I have two.


**************************************************************************************************************************


My ‘vette pulls into Jennifer’s driveway, but there are already two cars here, so I back out and park on the street. She’s expecting me, but I’m a little early.


I assume it’s a client. I’m glad I don’t work out of my loft. I’ve learned my lesson about mixing business with pleasure. I’m fifteen minutes early and about to knock on the door when it opens, and I'm standing there wishing I wasn’t—especially because of the way I look, especially because of who I am, or at least I think that’s why. It’s probably better just not to think right now. Just stop thinking. Just stop. Oh, and stop looking. Yeah, stop that too.


Jennifer Taylor is freshly fucked. We have something in common. Oh my god, Justin and his mother have something in common like right now. And it’s kind of partly cloudy out today and a little windy and the guy that just is, um, not her client is backing into me, and I just stepped right into her flowers. Look at the flowers. Fix the flowers.


Dude, get the fuck off of me.


And I thought I looked bad. I help him get steady on his feet and pretty much ignore the introductions.


“Um, Tripper, this is Brian Kinney, my son’s…….boyfriend.” Tripper? Isn’t that a dog’s name? There’s a name you can yell out in a moment of passion. I give him an obligatory wave while I try to repair the damage I did to the front stoop. He kisses her good-bye again. What a horn-dog. She looks embarrassed.


“I’m so sorry Brian. You’re a little early.” I look up from my flower-pot fixing.


“Cutting it close, aren’t we?” I can’t resist.


“He wouldn’t leave. Come on in. I need to freshen up.” She clasps her white robe in front of her chest when she realizes I can see right down it. Frankly, I’m more interested in Trip. Although I really try not to fuck guys whose names are verbs or adjectives. They are usually complete and total losers. Well actually, that’s why I just don’t get their names to begin with.


“He seemed a little pushy.” I feel protective of her all of sudden. Seems kind of silly.


“More like over-eager, I’d call it. Just let me run upstairs and change, so we can go. If you want to make a sandwich or something, help yourself.” I'm hungry, but I’ve kind of lost my appetite right now. The appointment that we have, that we’ve had for a few months now didn’t feel so urgent a week ago. I asked to go as a favor. When I talked to Jennifer this morning, when Justin finally walked to the elevator with Michael, I told her I was definitely going—that I'd be there no matter what.


And I pissed Justin off too. I’ll make it up to him.


I wander over to Jennifer’s stereo and mindlessly thumb through her CD collection. I’m nosy. I can’t help it. I press “play” on her CD player, and I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when Elvis starts playing. Really loudly. Loud enough that you can hear it upstairs where I guess they were, uh, tripping. Think about something else.


I fuck with her stereo and turn it down, sitting on her couch with a sleeve of CDs. I don’t feel like watching television, nor do I feel like finding a box of Trojans stuck in the couch that say ribbed for her pleasure. Jesus, enough is enough. I need to set her straight about a few things. What else is your son’s boyfriend for?


Finally, I hear her coming down the stairs.


“Can I borrow these?” I flash a couple of CDs at her while I stuff the crappy condoms back where I found them.


“Sure. I don’t know why you’d want to. Be my guest. We better go. Did you eat something?”


“No. Not really hungry. I’ll drive, if you want.” She agrees, saying that she doesn’t get to ride in a stingray with a hot guy like me every day. She’s trying to make me feel better. It’s going to take a lot more than that, but it’s sweet of her to try. I open her door for her, hoping that there isn’t anything horribly embarrassing in the ‘vette that I’ve forgotten about. At least Justin and I don’t fuck in here. I never thought I’d actually be happy about that.


“God, Brian, how many cigarettes do the two of you smoke in a day?” She asks me this as she fastens her seat belt. The aroma of our bad habit has always been comforting to me. I forget that it isn’t to others.

 

“If you think about it per hour, you’ll probably feel better about it. Number’s a lot lower.” I make a mental note not to speed, squeal my tires, or light up on the way to the hospital.

Chapter 8: Spoiled-Brian/Justin POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

Doctor, doctor, give me the news

I've got a bad case of lovin' you

 

The label on this turkey sandwich says “lean” or “low fat” or some shit like that, but that is total bullshit. This is complete, processed crap. And this salad is nothing but a light green, cold, cry for help, but I’m fucking famished. I guess I’m eating it anyway. It seems counterintuitive to serve food that will obviously kill you in a hospital cafeteria.


At least I’ve got good company.


“Here. You can have these chips. I don’t want them.” Jennifer can tell I’m still hungry and dissatisfied with my lunch. I take them. She looks at her watch. “It’s going to be at least fifteen more minutes before he gets back down here.” She sighs. I nod.


“I’m going to step outside for a second and smoke if you don’t mind. I won’t be long.”


“Go right ahead. I’ll be right here.”


***************************************************************************************************************


I navigate the hallways of Allegheny General and find my way back outside to the de-facto smoking area and light up. This is the other thing that always confuses me about hospitals: the smoking area is always populated by doctors, nurses, and critically ill patients. Completely baffling.


The last hour or so inside the hospital has been an eye-opening experience. I probably need time to digest it. I can’t decide who I’m more frustrated with right now—myself or Justin. I need to call him anyway, and worry about that later, I guess. I call his cell phone, hoping he can find it somewhere in the twisted sheets I left him in.


“Hello?” My sleepy blond piece of everything.


“Hey sleepy head, Lindsay and Gus are going to pick you up in about three and half hours to have dinner at the diner. You need to be sure you’re up and dressed.”


“Okay. What time is it?”


“2:00. I’ve got a couple of last minute work things to do, but I’ll meet you guys there. But listen, don’t forget. Set that alarm on your cell phone so you’ll get up. I’ll spank the shit out of you if my son walks in and sees my blond piece of fuck naked in my bed, got it?”


“Mmmm, hmmm.” He’s totally zonked.


Was that a yes? I wait for an answer. “Justin?” More waiting. “Justin! Wake up! I’m serious.”


“I’m here. Don’t be mean to me when I’m jerking off Brian.”


“You little fucker.” I hang up on him. This kid learns too fast. I should stop paying for his education. He clearly doesn’t need one. I call him back.


“You’re too late now. I’m all done.”


“You like it when I’m mean to you, remember?”


“Do you ever let me forget it? I’m going back to sleep. Stop calling me.” He kisses the phone before he hangs up.


His ass is so mine.


***************************************************************************************************************

Jennifer hands me the list of neurologists in L.A. when I return to our table.


“You just missed him.”


“I thought we were going to get more than three names.”


“He said these are the only ones that he knows well and are accepting new patients.”


“Oh.” I didn’t think about that. “So I guess I’m going to talk to him about this?” I tuck the list in my wallet.


“I think it’s probably better that way, considering he’s been lying to me for over a year," Jennifer says.


And me too, I guess. Or rather, a sin of omission.


“How did you find out?” I ask.


“Dr. Madsen, Scott, and I have the same divorce lawyer, and we go to the same country club. We ran into each other one day. It was a few days after one of Justin’s appointments that Justin told me about, so I just casually thanked him for taking such good care of him, and he told me he hadn’t seen Justin in over a year.”


“And you asked Justin about it?”


“Yeah, in a very innocuous way. He just stuck to his story. His next appointment came up—the reminders still come to my address—I asked him about it; he gave me the usual song and dance. I called Scott; Scott told me he didn’t show up.”


“He doesn’t even talk to me about these appointments. I mean I don’t think he does.” I need to pay better attention.


“Well, I was also concerned about saying anything because of doctor-patient confidentiality. So, I wasn’t sure what to do. The thing that is bothering me is that if he doesn’t feel he needs to go anymore, then just tell me or tell us. Why the secrecy? He used to go with me all the time. The appointments were routine. It’s no big deal.”


“What do they do?”


“A basic neurological exam. Check reflexes, hand-eye coordination, etc.”


“Does he have trouble with that?” Why don’t I know these things?


“Not usually. I mean we’re talking about a while ago now. Sometimes his right hand doesn’t cooperate the way he wants it to or as quickly as he wants it to, but nothing that catastrophic. Nothing he can’t—well couldn’t overcome. Just whatever you do Brian, don’t make him think that we were just going behind his back. I don’t want him to think that.”


“We are.” Aren’t we?


“Just make him understand the reason. That if he’s going to go all the way across the country, he needs to do this. Tell him to do it for his mother’s sake. I won’t even have you out there looking out for him.”


Yeah, I’ll try to make Justin do something. That’s always been highly effective. “I’ll talk to him. I’ll find out what’s going on. Are you ready to go?”


“Yeah, we can plan Sunday night on the ride back. I’ve got to remember to invite Daphne. Hey, do you think I should invite Tripper?”


“That’s your call. I’m not touching that.” That’s one subject I won’t be talking to Justin about.


*********************************************************************************************************************

JUSTIN'S POV


“I called the office. Your meeting is canceled." KNOCK

You know, you shouldn’t be such a twat, when I’m KNOCK showing you how much I love you." KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK

"You’re not going anywhere. Do you hear me, tight boy?" KNOCK, KNOCK

"Because no matter what happens..." KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.”



“FUCK. FUCK. Shit!!! I’m awake. I’m awake. I’m awake.” And I’m naked. And I overslept. Oh shit. Where are my fucking sweat pants? Shit. Here they are. “I’m coming.”


I have never been so happy after opening a door in my life.


“Oh thank god it’s just you Em. I thought I overslept. What time is it?”


“It’s 3:30, honey.” He pushes through the door with all of his packages. “What the fuck happened in here? This place looks like shit and smells like fuck!”


“Long story not worth telling.” I trudge back to the bedroom and climb back into bed. He follows me.


“I take it you had a long night?”


“You could say that.” I bury myself under the sheets. Emmett’s eyes scan our bedroom, which still looks worse than the rest of the loft.


“Well, okay then. I knew you two had a wild sex life, but this is a little wilder than I even imagined.”


“Brian and I had a fight. Everything’s okay now.”


“Okay, that makes more sense. Makes me feel a little better.” He rubs my shoulder. “I got everything you needed and I bought you a pres-ent!” He runs back out to the kitchen and starts digging through the bags. I wish I had his energy right now.


“What did you get me?”


He yells at me from the kitchen. “Close your eyes.”


“Okay.” I hear him walking toward the bed.


“Are they closed?”


“Yes.” I feel him sit on the bed and sit something beside him. I’m afraid to open my eyes.


“Okay. Now before you open your eyes, let me just tell you that this is a special gift from me to you. I have used this myself, well not this one exactly, but it works wonders, and I think you’ll really love it. Okay, you can open your eyes.”


Now I’m really scared. I open my eyes.


“Emmett!”


“What? Don’t you like it?”


“It’s a 64 oz. tub of ‘Butt Butter’!”


“Honey, this is what all spoiled bottoms everywhere use—you know, to recover. Or to stay in tip-top condition--if you know what I mean. Michael uses it.”


I hide my head under my pillow. Since when am I a spoiled bottom? Since when do I want to know about Michael’s personal sexual habits? Gross.


I mumble to Emmett from my hiding place. “You embarrass me.” He pokes me.


“You’re so cute. I’m surprised Brian hasn’t bought you some already. I’m sure he knows about this stuff.” He picks up the jar and starts reading me the ingredients. I kick him.


“Get out!!” I’m so mortified. He leaves the tub on the bed and goes out to the kitchen to unpack everything.


“Sweetie, I’m going to put all your stuff in a little pile over here. Are you just gonna sleep all day or what?”


“I have to get up in forty-five minutes because Gus and Lindsay are coming to take me to the diner for dinner.”


“They’re coming here to this mess? Oh no. You go back to sleep. I’m gonna clean this up a little. You can’t have a small child walk into Brian Kinney’s natural habitat. He’ll be traumatized.”


“Wake me up in forty-five minutes, okay?”


“Sure thing.”


I wait until Em is totally involved in what he’s doing before I open the vat of Butt Butter. It smells really good. I put some on my ass. I hope this stuff works.


*******************************************************************************************************************


Gus is as bossy as his father. He might even be worse, if that’s possible. If he is, that’s probably Melanie’s influence. This can’t be all Brian’s fault.


It might also have something to do with his new black leather jacket. He looks so much like Brian today. It’s really cute. God, I’m going to miss just hanging out with him.


The diner is busy, and Gus is too—but not busy doing what he should be doing—eating his dinner.


“Be still, Mr. Justin.” He stares at me from across the booth, pad of paper and crayon in hand. This is my fault; I taught him to do this the other day at Kinnetik when he was tearing through Brian’s office, and he needed him to sit still. I’m clever like that.


“Gus, how about if you finish drawing me after dinner? Your food is getting cold.”


“I’m almost done.” I think he’s working on my hair because he just picked up a yellow crayon.


“Okay. One more minute and then you have to put it down, no matter what.”


The minute ends and he shows me his picture. It’s priceless. I ask him if I can have it, and he says he needs to “work on it some more.” I tell him not to forget to sign his name, that an artist always signs his art.


“Okay, finish your sandwich and your french fries.” I’m almost done with mine.


“Mr. Justin, where is Daddy?”


“Why are you calling me Mr. Justin now?” This is a new thing for him, usually it’s just ‘Justin.’


“At school I have Mr. Jason, Miss Martha, and Miss Sarah.” Oh, okay, I get it. I’ll just add that to my list of nicknames.


“Your dad is at work. He should be here any minute though.” I hope he gets here soon. I thought I was going to get to spend more time with him today. Not that it mattered much, I was so fucking tired—still, it would have been nice to have him next to me.


“What is my daddy’s job?” How do I explain this? He squirts ketchup all over his french fries—way too much.


“’Whoa Gus. Take it easy. That’s enough ketchup. Your dad works in advertising.” I take the ketchup bottle from him and put it back on the table.


“What’s ‘vertising?” I knew that wouldn’t make sense.


I think about how to explain this to him. I could show him a magazine, but good luck finding an appropriate one around here. I opt for something more universal. “Okay, you know how you see commercials on television when you watch Spongebob and Sesame Street?”


“Yep. I love Spongebob.”


“Well, your dad helps make those commericials.”


“For toys?”


“Sometimes.” Debbie comes up and asks us if we want D-E-S-S-E-R-T, and I tell her that we are waiting for Brian. She gets Gus some more milk.


“Mr. Justin, what’s a blow job?” It’s a good thing Debbie had returned with the milk when he asked me that, or I would have fallen out of the booth.


“This one’s all yours Sunshine.” She saunters off. Thanks a fucking lot, Debbie.


“Why are you asking me that?” I gulp down a lot of water and wave to Debbie to bring me some more.


“That’s Daddy’s job. Daddy has a blow job.” He looks completely sure of himself and hell bent on convincing me. A lot more water would be really nice right now.


“Who told you that?”


“Mommy.”


“Mommy Lindsay or Mommy Mel?”


“Mommy Mel.” Oh shit. Okay. I’m talking to a four-year-old, and they don’t always get everything right, right?


“What did she say?”


“Mommy said Daddy is busy. He has a busy job. Mommy Mel said blow jobs.”


“Where were you?”


“In bed under the covers.” Which is exactly where I wish I was right now, where I should have stayed. I should let Brian handle this, but that would probably involve injury or death. Maybe I can fix this.


“I think what you heard was a fight. Your daddy’s job is at Kinnetik—here, give me that pad of paper.” He hands me the pad of paper, and I pick up a crayon off the table. I draw a quick sketch of Kinnetik and a quick picture of his bedroom.


“Okay, Gus. Look at this. Actually, your dad has two jobs. One is making commercials at Kinnetik. Right here.” I show him on the page where I drew Kinnetik, and I draw a funny figure of Brian standing inside his office with a television. Gus laughs. He liked that a lot. He loves running around Brian’s huge office. “And his second job is over here, taking care of you.” I fill in Gus’ room. “This is your dad, sitting on your bed, reading you a story at bedtime. What story is it?”


“It’s Green Eggs and Ham.”


“That’s a great story. I love that book. So, those are your dad’s two jobs. Commericals and you. Those two jobs keep him pretty busy. Here, you can keep this picture.” I hand him back the pad of paper.


“Put your name on it Mr. Justin.” Oops, I forgot.


I sign it “Mr. Justin.” It’s the only work of art I’ve ever signed that way. It feels like the most important thing I’ve ever drawn.


I explain to Gus that I’m going away for awhile to work in the movies, and that I’m really going to miss him. I think he thinks I’m going to live in a movie theater. I’m not sure.


“You can call me on the phone though, and you can still draw me pictures. Your mommy or daddy can mail them to me if you want.”


“Okay. I’ll draw you a picture of a movie.”


“That would be great.”


“And then I’ll put in it an emelope.”


“And I’ll send you a picture back—of anything you want.”


He starts asking me if I will be in the movies every night, when Debbie’s voice rocks the entire diner.


“HOLY FREAKING SHIT!!!!!!” The sound of crashing cups and plates and possibly a fainting drag queen brings Gus to his feet on his side of the booth.


The guy behind sitting behind us yells, “What thefuck was that?” I shoot him a dirty look.


“Yeah, Mr. Justin, what the fuck was that?” Gus echoes. My job is never done.


“Come with me Gus.” I take his little hand and walk to the entrance of the kitchen. It’s what I figured. There’s a mouse. Debbie is on a chair still screaming orders to everyone, which is pointless because everyone who is working right now is just as freaked as she is. She sees me in the doorway.


“Thank god Sunshine. Please get it. It’s right over here. I know it is.” I am the official rodent catcher at the Liberty Diner, whether it’s my shift or not. Who’s gonna do this when I’m gone?


“Will somebody get me a box, a plate, and some peanut butter, please?” I ask. Gus clings to my pants. Kiki returns with my stuff and I set up my makeshift trap beside the refrigerator. “He’ll come out in a second.”


“Yeah, he’ll come out in a second everybody.” Gus is now my partner in crime. I feel so useful tonight.


As soon as I see him venture out, I motion for Gus to be still. He goes for my trap, and I capture him in the box.


“Come on Gus. We’re gonna go take him outside and let him go.” He follows me out back to the dumpster area.


“Can I let him out?”


“Sure.” I place the box on the ground, and he opens the flap. The mouse scurries away into the darkness.


“Bye, bye mouse.”


“Good job, Gus.” We wave good-bye to the mouse and turn around to go back inside.


“Hello kitty cat.”


“What?”


“Look Mr. Justin, kitty cats.” Our fast mouse perked up three small kittens curled up on a piece of cardboard by the dumpster—one dark gray one and two that look more orange and white. Tabbies, I think.


“Wow. They are really tiny and cute, aren’t they?” I look around a little to see if I can see any others or their mother or anything. No such luck.


“I want to pet one Mr. Justin.” So do I. They’re adorable, but they’ve noticed us and are starting to get restless and will probably run any second now.


“Let me see if I can get them in the box. Here, hold the box still.” The two orange and white tabbies are easy to grab, but the darker one tries to make a run for it. I go after it and manage to get it, such bright green eyes. I hold it so Gus can pet it.


“Be very, very gentle.” He is. His smile could light up this back lot.


“Can I have it?” I knew that was coming.


“I don’t know Gus. That’s up to your mommy. Let me call her and see what she says.” I explain the situation to Lindsay and see what her thoughts are. She is surprisingly cool with the whole thing, saying that it might help Gus feel comfortable in the new place. I figure we’ll just take the others to a shelter. Brian is so going to kill me.


“Gus, your mom said that you can bring one of them home, but you have to help take care of it. You have to feed it, give it water, play with it—“


“Make it go night night.”


“Right. And you and your mommy have to take it to the doctor tomorrow to be sure it’s not sick, and so it can get it’s shots. If the doctor says the kitten’s okay, then you can keep it.”


“Shots?”


“Yep. Just like when you go to the doctor. Which one do you want?” He chooses the dark gray one, which upon closer inspection I think is a girl. Wise choice, boys can be a nightmare. “Do you want to give her a name?”


“Twinkerbelle!”


“That’s a very good name because her eyes are sotwinkle-ly.” He giggles.


“Let’s call your dad and tell him to hurry up and get over here.”


“Yeah, Dad, hurry up!”


I’m pretty sure Gus has totally forgotten about the blow job thing now.


***************************************************************************************************************

BRIAN'S POV

 

The last of my many errands today lands me right where this saga started a little less than twenty-four hours ago. I stop at the store to pay Michael a visit.


Hunter appears to be in charge. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.


“Hey dude! Buy something from me so I can practice with this register.”


“No can do, shop keep. I’m in a bit of a hurry. I trust Michael didn’t leave you alone with all the money?”


“Nah, he’s in the back.”


I walk in and spy Michael unpacking a new shipment—visions of sugarplums no doubt doing a jig in his head.


“Hey Mikey.”


“Hey! What are you doing here—looking all scruffy, no less? You okay?”


“Yeah, I’m okay.” I sit down on a stool in his backroom, relieved to just be here, just me and him.


“I’ve got a bone to pick with you, Brian Kinney.”


“Oh yeah-what? Justin coming over and bitching you out last night?”


“No-that was a huge misunderstanding. We’re fine. I’m talking about Mel and Linds splitting up—letting me find out like that.”


“Oh, that.”


“Yeah, that. You and I have a responsibility as fathers to Jenny and Gus—that’s all I’m going to say about that. But that’s not why you’re here—what’s up?”


“Jennifer’s going to have everyone over to her house Sunday night for dinner and you and your clan are invited—your mom and Carl, Mel and Jenny too. Around six. Invite Rodney too, if you want.”


“Oh wow, okay. That’ll be fun…and sad. I’ll tell my mom to call Jennifer about the food and all.”


“Yeah, I don’t know shit about the food. I’m in charge of the fucking.”


“Naturally.”


“Can I ask you something about Justin?”


“Yeah, but for the record, I told him this morning that I’m not going to be the silent partner in your relationship anymore.” He has stopped going through his shipment.


Silent Partner? “That’s not what I want to ask you about. Does he complain about anything when you guys are working together on the comic?”


“Besides you?”


“Yeah, besides me. Anything physical, about his hand. That he’s having trouble with anything.”


“Not really. Sometimes it takes him longer than usual to finish things, but he’s an artist, and that’s the way artists are. I’m not usually with him when he draws, you know. You spend more time with him than I do. Why?”


“No reason. I was just wondering. Look, I’ll see you Sunday night.” I hug him as I get up to leave.


“We’ll all be there.”


I nod to Hunter on the way out the door.


“See ya dude!” Send his ass to California.


*******************************************************************************************************************


I am almost at the diner before I realize that Emmett never called me. I don’t even have his number on me. I call Ted; he picks up immediately.


“Greetings mysterious one.”


“You didn’t tell him to call me.”


“Yes, I did. He just walked in the door, and he’s reading your list as we speak.” I can hear Emmett reading it aloud.


“Well?”


“Hang on a second. He just did a cartwheel and came in his pants. ‘Bout what I expected. Em, the Great One would like a word with you.” He hands Em the phone.


“Hello, hello.”


“Don’t do cartwheels in my place of business. You’ll break something.”


“Judging by what I just read, the only thing getting broken this weekend is your itty bitty heart.”


Fine, bitch. “Do you have any questions about what’s on the list? I have to get to the diner.”


“Okay, let me see, let me see.” I pinch the bridge of my nose. Maybe Emmett wasn’t the right person for this. “Okay, number one looks fine. You sure you want me to pick that out?”


“Yeah, just make it simple and tasteful, I guess.”


“Okay, number two is the reason I did the cartwheel in the first place.” He laughs and I can hear Theodore.


”Tell him you didn’t really do a cartwheel. You can’t even do a cartwheel," Ted laments in the background.


”The fuck I can’t. I was one of five junior varsity alternate, runner-up, off-season football cheerleaders in Hazelhurst.”


"You were not."


“Can you bitches argue about this later, please?!” Jesus, I have got to get to the diner.


“Okay, calm down, Prince Charming. Number two and number three: This Paul guy will help us with this?”


“Yes. I talked to him.”


“About the one for tomorrow night?”


“Yes. The rest I’m not worried about.”


“Okay, but please let me help with the rest too. I can do it.”


“I’ll think about it.”


“Thank you, thank you. I promise I won’t do anymore cartwheels in your office if you let me help with number three.”


“I’m not saying “yes” yet, Emmett.”


“I know, I know. Number four is no problem. You were pretty detailed. And of course, Number five is the real reason we’re doing this anyway!”


“Yeah, I figured that would sweeten the deal.”


“I can’t wait! This is going to be fun!”


“I know. I really wanted to do it, but I just don’t have time.”


“Well, you need to be with him. We’re so proud of him. Our little Justin going to Hollywood! Who would’ve ever thought that Brian Kinney would pick up a twinkie, fuck him, fall in love with him, and then get to watch him become a bigger success than he could ever hope to be? Sometimes things just work out right, you know?”


“Do you really expect me to respond to that?”


“Oh honey, this piece of paper in my hand is all the response I need. Now go find your sweet little blond boy and fuck the shit out of him. Teddy and I will see you tomorrow at 2:00 pm sharp.”


Why do I feel like I just got my ass rammed by Liberty Avenue’s biggest bottom?


**********************************************************************************************************************


“How much longer ‘til you get here?” Justin is badgering me on the phone. I am anxious to see Gus. It’s been over a week.


“I’m here.” I pull up outside of the diner.


“Oh good. Go inside. Find Debbie and do what she says. Oh, and Gus wants to talk to you.”


He does?


“Daddy?”


“Hey Sonny Boy.” I can hear Justin telling Gus to tell me that he loves me.


“I love you, Daddy.”


“I love you too.” Justin gets back on the phone.


“We’ll see you in a minute.”


That’s twice today that he’s hung up on me. He is so gonna get it.


I walk into the diner and am immediately greeted by Debbie who is serving up equal portions of turkey meatloaf and innuendo, too bad I don’t feel like either. She is wearing a t-shirt that I’ve never seen before:


Grandmas do it with Affection


My chest collides with her gaudy hand. I think I count six bracelets today. “Hold it right there tall, dark, and horny. I gotta give you something.” She places her tray on the booth where I know Justin and Gus have been sitting because, well, I know my boys.


I sit down and finish Gus’ french fries which are unmistakable. They are the ones drowning in ketchup. I drink the rest of Justin’s water. Justin and Gus have so much in common: they both eat french fries like they are going out of style, they both love a good story, and they both took really long naps today. Debbie gives up.


“Oh, fuck it. Your kid is out back. He drew you a picture, and I lost it. The note said, ‘Don’t tell him no’ or something.”


“Um, thanks Debbie. Can I get a turkey sandwich?” Doesn’t anyone care about my needs? I head out back. There better not be another dead body out here.


“Daddy!!!” Gus runs up to me and jumps in my arms, our heads almost collide together. His hands frame my face. “You’re scratchy Daddy.” He rubs my stubble. Matching black leather jackets. We look like twins. How very Kinney-ian.


I spy Justin bent down over a cardboard box. Why do I feel like this can’t be good? I focus back on Gus who is squeezing my face and demanding my attention.


“Daddy? Daddy! I found a baby cat, a baby kitten, and Mommy said I can keep it!”


Oh shit. I carry him toward Justin and the box, his excited body jumping in my arms. Justin stands up and gives me a “don’t kill me” smile and then kisses me, and I almost forget that I'm still holding Gus.


“No! I kiss Mr. Justin!” He leans over and kisses Justin on the cheek. I’ve never seen him do that before, react to me kissing Justin or Justin kissing me, or maybe I’ve just never paid attention.


“Gus has become a little bossy, Mr. Brian.” Justin gives me his flirty smile at me as I put Gus down.


“Come here Gus, you need to zip up your jacket. It’s cold out here.” Justin tells me he’s sorry. Gus drags me to the box and opens the lid.


“Look at the kitties, Daddy! This one is mine.” He starts to pick it up, and Justin shows him the correct way to do it. He cuddles the kitten in his arms and sways back and forth.


“Look Mr. Brian, he’s a natural.”


“Stop calling me that.”


“I’ve put up with it all night. You get used to it after a while.”


I point out to Justin that there are three kittens in that box and that there is no way in hell that Lindsay agreed to that, and he tells me that our next stop is PetSmart to get the bare necessities.


“They have an adoption center there. They'll take the other two. I called and checked. I’m not going to leave them out here to freeze.”


“Of course you’re not. Well, let’s get a move on. Gus, put the cat back in the box.”


“Her name is Twinkerbelle.”


“Okay, put Twink back in the box. We have to go get her some food.” And a box to shit in. I hope Lindsay thought this through. “Justin, I hope you realize that when Lindsay goes out of town or something, that I am not watching that cat at my loft. Having a kid there is one thing, but not a cat.”


“Don’t be an asshole.” He whispers the last word to me for Gus’ benefit.


I pay for my turkey sandwich, and we are off. PetSmart stinks worse than Babylon at 5:00 am, and I had no idea that people are actually allowed to bring their dogs in there, and that sometimes these dogs actually piss right in the middle of the aisle and that no one comes by to clean it up right away. That’s really nice. Gus tries to stand up in the cart three times and on the last time I catch him before he hits his head on a shelf.


“Gus, you can either sit in the cart and hold Twink, or you can walk and I will hold Twink. Which do you want?”


“Hold Twink.”


“Okay, then it’s back in the cart.” I sit him in the back this time, which seems to make him happier because he can look at everything Justin is putting in the cart.


I watch Justin as he leads us all over the store, reading ingredients, deciding what he wants, being Mr. Methodical. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Every time he puts something in the cart, he tells Gus what it is and what it’s for.


“Okay Gus, Twink needs two bowls. One for food and one for water. What colors do you want?”


“Ummm. Blue Mr. Justin. Blue and red.”


“Okay, here you go. Blue and red."


My son worships at the altar of Mr. Justin. I start to worry that he loves him more than I do.


Gus and I have a long, drawn out discussion over the difference between dog toys and cat toys. I can’t make him understand that some giant, red, rubber ball he wants was a dog toy, not a cat toy. I finally just tell him no. He screams. Goddamn end caps.


“What’s wrong, Brian?” Justin turns around and comes back to the cart to see what all of the hoopla is about.


“I’m trying to explain to him that these are dog toys, not cat toys, and he doesn’t want to believe me. So now he’s mad.” His little face is contorting for the benefit of everyone that walks by. They’re all thinking: “cute kitten, cute kids, evil Daddy.”


“Gus.” Justin leans over the cart, holding the offending red ball in his hand. “This toy is bigger than Twink. A kitten likes toys that are smaller. Let’s go pick out a smaller toy. We can probably find a red one. Okay?”


He stops crying. Of course.


“Here Daddy.” He hands me the kitten—at least I’m good for something. I can hold pussy and push a cart. What-the-fuck-ever. I watch the two of them walk down the aisle toward the cat toys. For some reason, it makes me feel less insignificant to tell Justin:


“He can pick three Justin. Just three.”


Gus picks out his three toys, which Justin completely scams me on because they are three bags of toys, so now this kitten has like forty-seven toys. I do my part too, though, and throw in some catnip because drugs don’t count as toys.


Gus usually sleeps in the car, but not tonight. Justin points that out to me almost immediately, after he teases me about listening to Elvis in the car.


“Brian, look in your mirror. Look at Gus.”


I glance back at him, and he is dancing, hard core, in his little leather jacket, completely oblivious to the two of us. He really did have a good time tonight.


“He dances better than you Brian. He must get that from Lindsay.” I flip him off.


“He’s just happy. Hey, what’re you doing back there Sonny Boy?”


He looks up at me and gives me an honest, ‘four-year-old, I’ve been in Preschool too long answer’: “I’m breaking it down, Daddy.”


Justin's dancing in the front seat now. Dancing and laughing. “I was afraid he was going to say “shake it like a Polaroid picture.”


“He better not say that.” The songs ends, and Gus is kicking the back of Justin’s seat.


“Play it again, Daddy. Again!”


“No, that’s enough. We’re almost home.” Lindsay’s new place is right around the corner.


“Oh, play it again for him Brian. It’ll only be the twenty-fifth time you’ve listened to it today.”


I mouth “Fuck you” to him and start the track over.


A little less conversation, a little more action please


It’s my car. I’m the King. I can do what I want.


********************************************************************************************************************


Heaven help me, I didn’t see the devil in your eyes.


“If I had known that being in a pet store would make you act like such a horny little puppy, Sunshine, I’d have done it a long time ago.”


“Don’t be such a twat when I’m showing you how much I love you.”


My words always come back to fuck me in the ass.


“Where were you all day anyway?” he asks me, in between the kisses and the groping that have landed us on the bed, albeit fully clothed.


“I had to take care of a few last minute things with Ted. End of month stuff. Shit like that.”


His hands stop roaming under my shirt for a minute, and he looks at me.


“You’re lying.”


“I am?”


“Yep. You are. Your body gets tense when you’re lying. I can feel it. That’s the thing about you. Your body speaks way louder than your words.”


“And you’re a good listener.” I feel his warm hands slide under my back and cradle my shoulders. I love it when he lies on top of me like this.


“It’s a job requirement with you, and an occupational hazard.”


“That’s me—the double-edged sword.”


He rakes his fingers through my hair as I close my eyes. I feel him straddle me and start unbuttoning my shirt. “I want to make you feel good.”


“Mission accomplished.”


“No, I mean really good. I want you to relax. Just let me spoil you.” He unbuttons the rest of my shirt and frees me of it, and I do the same for him, yanking his long sleeve gray t-shirt over his head. I try to pull him down to me to kiss him, but he won’t let me. I prop my arms behind my head.


I bend my knees, scratching one foot on another, as he climbs out of bed and removes the rest of his clothes. I watch him in silence, realizing that I know every move he’s going to make before he makes it. He comes back to me, blond and bare, and lies on top of me again. I give in to how tired I am and how nice it feels just to have him warm and sweet and all over me like this.


I tell him that I am already spoiled rotten. He tells me he’ll be the judge of that.


He smiles at me and I smile back as his fingers undo my jeans. I close my eyes as I feel him tuck his fingers into my underwear and pull my jeans far, far away.


His body lies on mine again, and he kisses me like I'm standing alone under a streetlight, and he’s picking me tonight. His hands slide under my pillow and curl inside of mine.


I wrap my legs over his as his lips tickle my face and squeeze him tightly. His mouth moves behind my ear and down my neck and my hands leave his to hold him and to keep this going.


“I fucking love that.”


“I know.”


I roll over when he asks me to and his arms stretch mine out to either side of me. He tells me to close my eyes and to go to sleep if I want to. I don’t think I want to.


He's gone for a second, but I don’t move or say anything. No need. I feel warm pressure on my hips when he returns to me and straddles me again. I hear him rubbing his hands together.


I smell California.


“What’s that?”


“Just be quiet.”


He rubs the smell of coconuts and summer down my arms, one at a time, all the way down to my fingertips, the pressure increasing with each pass.


Fuck, this feels good.


The knots in my shoulders dissolve underneath his hands, and he's careful with my recently mended one, sparing me unnecessary agony. Something he's doing lengthens my neck.


I groan when he re-applies and starts on my back. I turn my head the other way, toward the window. I feel him shift farther down my body, sitting on my legs. I close my eyes again and think about waves crashing-one after the other. The heat kicks on. It sounds like the ocean.


He presses the heels of his hands into my back and forces every bit of distress in my body up and out through his fingertips like I don’t even own it anymore. I let out a deep breath I didn’t know I was holding.


His hands are slippery again when they massage my waist, and I realize that my cock has been soaking the sheets this entire time. I never knew I held so much tension in my ass. Not anymore. He meanders back up my body, sliding his arms along mine, whispering in my ear.


“How do you feel?”


“A-mazing.” He nuzzles his face against mine. He loves it when I don’t shave.


“Now do you want to tell me where you were all day?” Just a quiet, quiet question.


“Um, I already told you.” Just a quiet, quiet answer.


“Right.” His seductive whisper wafts through my ear, giving me chills. “Then I guess we’re not done, are we?” A roaring wave chases me and pummels me into the sand. I never had a chance.


He kisses me on the cheek and lets his lips trail down the rest of my body. I look up and I can see the beach, but this is not where I was, not where I started from. I don’t know which way gets me back to my blanket. The sun beats down on me.


His lips surf down the crevice of my ass, and I don’t hear waves crashing or children playing or lifeguards blowing their whistles anymore. I don’t hear anything.


“Mmmmmm.”


I feel everything.


The splash of his tongue as it coats me makes me gasp. I shift underneath him.


“Justin.” I dig my fingers in the hot sand.


The tide is changing.


I am on my knees, my arms underneath me again. He moans as he licks and kisses my hole. I pray. That he doesn’t touch my cock. That I don’t come on the spot. That he hasn’t forgotten that. Surely he hasn’t forgotten that.


His tongue invades me. I am pulled out to sea. I can’t for the life of me remember how to swim.


“Oh god. Oh fuck.” His hand snakes between my legs, his palm covering the head of my glazed dick. I push it away. “No.” He flattens his hand on my stomach, spreading my dampness along the way. He covers my hole with his warm tongue and cups my balls. I feel him rise up. I call his name again--by accident.


I stare at my hands.


Lube shouldn’t be so cold on such a hot day. The initial pinch pulls me under. I hold my breath for as long as I can.


It’ll heat up.


He's gentle with me for now, as only he is allowed to be. He's the only lifeguard on duty at my beach. My head emerges from the water for a second.


He slides another slippery finger inside me, and when I tell him that it really hurts, he teaches me to tread water.


He continues to lube me, to push me, and to watch me negotiate this. He tells me I'm ready.


He tells me to remember to breathe, that he’ll go slow.


I tell him it won’t matter.


Something dark swims underneath me.


Here it comes.


I curse like a mother fucker on the first push, biting my lip, and try to focus on him, on doing this for him. He tells me that I'm still holding my breath.


I can’t stay afloat any longer.


He tells me how good this feels for him, how beautiful I am, how being inside of me makes him crazy.


I tell him that the sound of his voice drives me nuts, that I want him—that I want him to fuck me.


God, I want him to fuck me.


I have no idea why he ever bottoms at all.


He moves inside me. I catch my breath. His hands are somewhe--


“Ah. Oh fuck Justin. What the fuck.”


He tells me that he loves to be inside my extremely……..tight……….ass.


I tell him that’s what I meant by moving in.


He laughs and tells me not to be a smart ass. I tell him to fuck me harder.


Now.


I dive back under the water, as deep as I can go.


He slams me against the ocean floor, ignoring my thrashing underneath him. I feel everything tighten, rise, and rush to get to the surface. Fuck. I’m going to drown.


I try to move or shift or something so he can’t do this, so he can’t fuck that same spot over and over, but he’s onto me. He reclaims me hard and fast and surrounds my cock with his warm, wet hand.


“Ah fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.”


He tells me that he loves me, that he won’t be gone for long…


that California isn’t that far away.


I tell him that he’s full of shit.


He pulls all the way out and crashes back into me, ending everything for both of us.


I come all over myself, washed up on some deserted island all alone.


Goddamn sunshine. I'm burnt to a crisp.

 

I’m never going to lie to him again.

Chapter 9-Denial-Brian's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

We're caught in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love you too much baby


1:41 a.m. Saturday morning

My last cigarette.  Justin’s last cigarette, I think.  I don’t know; I can’t find mine.

The window's ice cold, but it feels good against my skin.  I like this view from the living room, hot smoke filling my lungs, cool glass against my shoulder, a car driving past once in a while.  Not much going on out there tonight, way too much going on inside my head. 

My cold shoulder.  The only part of my body I can even feel right now—that and my hand every time it brings this cigarette back to my face—otherwise nothing-naked and numb. 

It’s always the same, but always different.  This thing that makes sleep a joke, that makes the morning start at two a.m., that makes two a.m a good time to pedal miles away from here on a stationary bike.  This thing that makes me know that I love him, and that I hate him for loving me.  I fucking hate it.

It’s nothing to love someone. 

And it’s always the same, but always different.  And I fucking hate it because I can’t control it.  I tell myself every night that I can change it, but I can’t, at least not the way I want.  I’m so fucking tired of this.  Tired of waking up exhausted because I’m busier in my sleep than I am during the day.  Tired of waking up in the morning thinking "Thank God. Now I can get some fucking sleep.”

These fucking dreams need to stop.

“In the first phase of the campaign, Mr. Kinney, we’re going to use some of these images you see here to familiarize the customer with your product, to give them a sense of what it’s about.  I think you can see from what we're showing you what direction we’re headed in.”

I can see it all right.  This part of the dream is always the same.  I can’t even look at what they are showing me.  I don’t have to.  I know what it is.  I don’t even fucking want to think about  it.

 I look at my watch.  Justin is late.  He’s never late.  Why the fuck is he late today?  This is important.  He should be here.  Why the fuck isn’t he here? 

Apparently, we are business partners. 

“So, Mr. Kinney, as I was saying, after this, we’ll move into the second phase of the campaign.  In this phase, we plan on taking a few more risks---“

“Sorry, I’m late.”

He takes a seat beside me.  I don’t even realize he’s walked in the door.  He sees everything when he walks into the room; he sees everything that I can see—even my thoughts, and it doesn’t even phase him.  He doesn’t even flinch.  I start to wonder if he really sees what I see—something that is obviously such a fascade, but if he does, he doesn’t care. 

“Mr. Taylor.”  Mr. ShutTheFuckUp stops his presentation. Time stops. Everything stops.  For some reason everyone leaves the room; they politely excuse themselves.  I get excited for a minute because I think I’m back in my office, that I’m going to get to fuck him.  I hate this part of the dream.  It always goes too slow.  It’s like fucking torture. 

So I look at him sitting next to me.  He looks beautiful in his gray suit; it’s always something different.  He smiles at me.  He kisses me, running his hand down the back of my head.

“Sorry, I’m late.”  Again.

“Where were you?”

I hate the way I sound when I ask him this.  I try to change it every night, but it always comes out sounding the same.  This is where it gets really fucked up.  This is where it’s always the same but different, the same, but different.  Sometimes he’s just come from the prom in his tuxedo, sometimes art class, sometimes the diner, sometimes he’s dripping wet from my shower with only a towel around him, sometimes straight from Babylon high on some shit and covered in glitter, and once he was dripping with blood.  Tonight, it was different again.

“I was in L.A.  Remember?  Making the movie?”

“Oh yeah.  I forgot.”

“You always forget.”  His hand rubs my thigh.  I keep thinking that those people are going to walk back in any minute and that if they do, I’m going to hurt them because I need time to remember where he was.  I can’t think very fast, and that’s not my fault. 

This part of the dream moves in slow motion.  My mind feels like it’s swimming in jell-o.

“I don’t know why I can’t remember where you are.”  He’s looks at me and smiles.  I’m looking at my lap.

“Because you don’t want to.”  He just sits beside me and reassures me.  He holds my hand. 

“I don’t?”  The blue of his eyes goes on forever when I look at him.  He shakes his head at me like I’m a small child who just doesn’t understand things.

“No, you don’t.  You don’t want to remember.  You tried, though.  That’s the important thing.”

I tell him that I’m going to try again tomorrow.  I’m going to keep trying until I can remember.

Somehow the people know that it’s okay to come back in.  The presentation starts up again.  I don’t want to be there.  I want to leave, but I look over at him, and he’s calm and peaceful and happy and relaxed, so I try to be.  I try to be the beautiful, confident, self-possessed man that he is, that some part of me is telling me that I taught him to be.  But I can’t.  Or I won’t.  Or something.

So Mr. ShutTheFuckUp starts up again.  “In Phase Three of our campaign Mr. Kinney—Mr. Taylor—this will be the phase where we’ll really drive your message home, where we’ll make our----excuse me—your product will make it’s strongest impress---“

“Your ideas are for shit.”  I get up and start putting my shit in my briefcase. 

Mr. ShutTheFuckUp keeps right on talking.  My behavior bothers Justin.

“Brian, sit down.  You’re being rude.”

“Justin, are you coming?”  He ignores me.  I walk to the door with my briefcase.  “Justin, I asked you a question.”

Always the gentleman, he asks Mr. ShutTheFuckUp to excuse him for a second.  He joins me in the hallway.

“Brian, what the fuck is wrong with you?”  He’s really pissed.  I’ve embarrassed him.  “Why are you walking out in the middle of this?  This could be a good thing here.  And why are you talking to me like that?”

He doesn’t get mad at me like this that often, but I’ve pissed him off.  And now I’m mad too.  “Because, Justin, that guy’s a fucking idiot.  He doesn’t know what we want.  He hasn’t listened to one fucking thing I’ve said, or given me one thing I asked for, and this is a total waste of my fucking time.  That’s why.”

“You just don’t want to listen to him because he’s my father.  Because you think you know what’s best for me.”

I glance back in the room, and Mr. ShutTheFuckUp has his back to me, but I believe Justin.  I believe him when he says that it’s his father.  I tell myself that I won’t go back in that room again for the rest of dream.  I feel like there are other fathers in there.  I close the door.  I always forget to lock it.  I should have locked it.

“No, I don’t.”

“Yes, you do.  And it’s all just fucking screwed up in your head Brian.  That’s your whole fucking problem.”

“How could I possibly know what’s best for you when I don’t even know where the fuck you are?  Have you even thought about that?”

That’s the only part of the dream where I feel confident.  It makes no sense. And then I just keep yelling at him.

“I can’t remember from one minute to the next where you are or when you’ll be back, or where or when I get to fuck you, or when I’m just paying for shit and not fucking you, OR…”

“Or what, Brian?  Or what?”  He’s still yelling at me.

And then we’re not in Mr. ShutTheFuckUp’s office or building anymore.  I don’t know where we are.  Some place dark.  Some place inside.  I can’t tell.  I’m still yelling at him.

“Or why it feels just as good  to me to take care of you, to put you through school, to worry about whether or not you get home safe at night as it does for me to have you in my bed waiting to be fucked every single night! THAT is my fucking problem Justin!”

He just looks at me, and I can’t stop.  Nothing will stop.

“SO, ARE YOU COMING OR NOT?  I’m not going to ask you again.” 

“Okay.  Just let me get my stuff.”

“Fine.” And I’m relieved that we’re done arguing, that we can get the fuck out of here, and I’m not even bothered by the fact that we’re back in front of Mr. ShutTheFuckUp’s office again.   I lean back against the wall to wait for him.

A cold blast of air hits me when he opens the door, and right when he does, he turns around and smiles at me and says, “I’ll just be a minute.  I’ll meet you at the elevator.  Just let me tell them good-bye.” 

Mr. ShutTheFuckUp’s office is full of people that weren’t there before and full of stuff.  It’s all Justin’s stuff.  I can’t see it, but I know that it is. 

I walk down the hall and press the ‘down’ button.  The moment the elevator door opens, I hear Stockwell’s voice.

“If you say it, mean it.  Right boys?” And the unmistakable crack of a bat.

I drop my briefcase.  I try to run.  I try to say his name.  I can’t move.  My legs are cement.  They won’t budge.  The hallway stretches out farther and farther in front of me.  I open my mouth again and again, but nothing comes out.  Absolutely nothing.

Gus is standing in the elevator smoking a cigarette.

“Come on Daddy.  Let’s go.  He’s gone.” 

For some reason, I can pick up my brief case now, and I can get on the elevator.  Gus isn’t smoking anymore. 

“Daddy, hold me up so I can push the button.”  I lift him up and show him which one to push, and we descend.


This is where I always wake up.

It’s nothing to love someone.  It’s letting them love you back that’s unwarranted. 

*******************************************************************************
2:23 a.m.

Justin’s up.  I can hear him in the bathroom.  It’s probably just as well.  I’m fucking freezing.

“Brian?”  He sees me.  I don’t feel like saying anything.  I’m sure he’ll drag half the bed with him when he walks over here.  “Did you smoke my last cigarette?”  He folds me in his arms, me and the blanket, as I laugh a little and nod. 

“Yeah.”

“Fucker.”

I turn around so I can pull him in front of me, so we can both look out the window, so I can bury my nose in his hair.  I just stop thinking.  We stand there for several minutes, both of us, not saying anything.  Eventually, he turns around and looks at my face.  I’d rather he didn’t.

“What are you looking at?” 

He lays his head against my chest, and I re-adjust the blanket.  His body warms mine.  He gives me more space than I deserve sometimes—most of the time.  I lift his chin off of my chest and bring my face to his.  I almost don’t want to kiss him because once I do, the rest of me will thaw, but I do it anyway.  I don’t even know what I want from this kiss--everything—I guess.  I want the innocent part of him that kisses me like he really doesn’t know what’s coming next, that relies on me, the tease in him that wants to entice me and please me, and the aroused, surrendering part of him that fits my body like a glove.  I want everything at once. The light coming in from the window makes streaks in his hair, making it seem lighter than it is.  Our mouths part long enough for me to answer him, for his arms to find their way around my neck.

“Street lights.”

I’m not sure how long we stood at the window, it couldn’t have been very long, or whose idea it was to finally go back to bed, but he fell asleep facing me.  I think I fell asleep watching him. 

It’s nothing to love someone. 
*******************************************************************************
Cause your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir
And you light my morning sky
With burning love


8:17 am

Morning has broken.  Justin is deep in thought.  I am deep in Justin-almost.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Captain Astro.”  He never ceases to amaze me.

“Captain Astro?  Why would you be thinking about Captain Astro when I’m almost in your ass?” 

“Yeah, do you mind?” 

This is one of those mornings that I almost couldn’t resist the cardinal sin.  It took everything in my power to briefly unravel myself from him, to make myself adhere to my own rules.  I should have fucked him when we got back into bed last night, at least then he would slept more soundly.  I toss the condom on the bed; I hadn’t even opened it yet. 

“I should've fucked you last night when we came back to bed.  You drove me nuts all night pushing your ass against me and hogging all the covers.”  He can do that ass-pushing thing now if he wants, though.  I’m all for that now.

“You're one to talk Mr. Kinney.  Sleeping with you is a nightmare, no pun intended, between all of your thrashing and kicking and talking in your sleep.”

“I don’t talk in my sleep.” 

“Like hell you don’t.   You said my name four or five times last night after we came back to bed.”

“I must have been dreaming about fucking you.”  Which is what I want to be doing right now.  I’d appreciate some cooperation.  He keeps his gaze on the window.

“I don’t think so.  That’s not the way you were saying it.  You were giving me the creeps.”  He doesn’t want my hand on his dick right now.  Fine.  We’ll just spoon.  “I tried to wake you up.”

“I don’t remember that.”

“I’m not surprised.  You opened your eyes, sucked in this huge breath, and grabbed my arm.  You scared the shit out of me Brian.”  Fuck.  I did?

“Did I hurt you?”  I try to look at his arm, but he’s laying on it.  “Let me see.”

“No, you didn’t hurt me.  You just scared me.  You were looking at me, but you really weren’t.” 

“Let me see your arm Justin.” I roll over onto my back, and he rolls onto my chest.  I look at his left arm. “I don’t see anything.  Does it hurt?”

“No, not really.”

“What did I do after I grabbed you?”  I’ve never had the benefit or curse of someone sleeping with me.  I guess I don’t know my own sleep habits.

“I told you to let go of me--that you were hurting me--but you didn’t hear me, at least I don’t think you did.  It was weird.  You just let go and kind of threw me back on the bed.”

I rub his arm.  I can’t believe I did that.  Shit.  “I’m sorry.  I guess I was just having a really bad dream.”

“You have them a lot Brian.”  He wraps his fingers over mine. “Do you remember it?”

“No.  I never remember them.  Never have.”  Neither of us say anything for a minute or so.  Let’s just drop this.

“You’re lying.  That’s why you were standing at the window last night, wasn’t it?  Because something woke you up?” 

“Don’t worry about it, okay?”  I pull him tight against me.  I don’t want to talk about this.

“How can I worry about it when I don’t know what it is?”  I can feel him starting to get upset in my arms.  This is not the kind of morning I want to have. 

“Justin.”

“Brian, if there’s something bothering you, you can tell me, no matter what it is—even if it’s me.”  He lets go of my hand and tucks his hand under his chin. 

“It’s not you.”

“So you do remember them?” 

“I remember enough to know that it’s not you.  I promise.”  I stare at the ceiling my hand passing over his head.  He feels less upset, less tense now, I think.

“At least you’re telling me the truth now.  I can feel it.”  He lets out this sigh, and I feel him relax a little.  For once I’m relieved that he can read me.  I’m lost in my own thoughts before I even realize that his head is no longer on my chest; it’s in a much more useful location.

For some reason I don’t even feel right having him suck me after all that.  I feel like I should stop him.  “Justin, it’s okay.”  I stop him for a second, and he just looks at me like I’m crazy. 

“Whatever’s bothering you, just forget about it for now.”  And I do.  I lie back on our bed, my hand lodged in the crook of his shoulder and forget about last night’s nightmare, hurting him, everything.  I can’t think about anything when he sucks me off, especially first thing in the morning.  I flood his mouth in no time, something completely idiotic coming out of my mouth, and he's back in my arms, lying with me while I regroup.

“So, anyway, back to what I was saying about Captain Astro?” 

“Jesus, can’t you wait at least sixty seconds after you swallow before you start talking?”

“Just listen.”  He kisses me. “I was thinking that all of this is Captain Astro’s fault.” 

“How do you figure that?”  He lies back down on my chest again, oblivious to how destroyed I truly am after he blows me. 

“Because if Captain Astro hadn’t fucking died in the first place, Michael would have never wanted to make this stupid comic book, and I wouldn’t be leaving.  I think he should just kill Rage off in the next issue.” 

No wonder I have bad dreams.  “Well, I hate to tell you this but ‘major character death’ is considered very poor taste in the fandom.” He moves up and off of me a little, onto his side, propping his head on his elbow.

“How would you know?  You’re not part of the ‘fandom’” He makes little quotation marks in the air.  I fucking hate it when people do that.  Although when he does it, it’s kind of cute.

“Well, for one thing I ‘grew up with Michael Novotny’”, I add my ‘air quotes’, “and I am ‘Rage’, thank you very much.”  And I don’t appreciate being killed off without any warning.  So there.

“Okay, well, it’s just that I just don’t want to have to make Rage two, three, four, five and six.  I don’t want to be gone all the time.”  His voice gets quiet as he lies back on his pillow again.  I slide over to him, propping my head on my elbow this time, putting my arm around him. 

“I think you’re jumping the gun a little.  You haven’t even sold one ticket to Rage I yet.”  His imagination works overtime. 

“Yeah, but you know people are going to love it.  Watching Rage rescue JT, and watching JT suck Rage off.  It’ll be so hot.  I can’t wait.”  His face lights up again.  There’s my Sunshine.

“Me either.  If I actually see that onscreen, I really will celebrate.  I might suck somebody off.”  He turns back toward me, all smiles.

“It better be me.”  I go crazy when he runs his fingers up and down my chest like this, tracing little circles around my nipples.  I don’t know how he expects me to carry on a conversation like this, but I’ll give it the ol’ college try. 

“Oh, it’ll be you.  And it will probably be in a movie theatre while you’ve got a mouthful of popcorn.”

“And you can time it so that I come right during a loud action scene, so when I yell out, nobody will know it’s because you’re sucking me off.”

Justin Taylor—The President of Imagination Nation.  “Yeah, and you can yell out “RAGE” instead of “BRIAN,” so everybody will think that you’re really watching the movie…”  I pull him closer to me.

“That’ll be perfect.  Oh my god, I can’t wait for that.  We have to do that.  Promise me we’ll really do that.”

He's more excited right now than Gus was about that cat last night.  “We’ll do it.”  I climb on top of him, pushing him on his back and study his face, play with his hair and think about how much I love Saturday mornings in bed, how this will be our last one for a while.

His eyes are still far away.  “This is off the subject, but”

“Your middle name is ‘off the subject.’”  I kiss him slowly; he doesn’t even stop talking.  Maybe I need to work on my technique…

“Mmmmm.  Cut it out.  This is off the subject, but you know when you fell asleep last night while I was reading to Gus?”  Cut it out.  He means the teasing, not the kissing.  He loves the kissing. 

“Yes.”

“He looked at me and said, ‘Uh oh, Mr. Justin, look at Daddy.’  I just can’t get over how fast he’s growing up.  It’s amazing.”

“It’s terrifying.  What’s amazing is that all three of us managed to squeeze into his twin bed.”

“All four of us.  You forgot Twink.”

“I don’t count pussy.”

“You know what? I’m not even sure she’s a girl.  It’s really hard to tell when they’re that young.”  He’s so animated.  He might as well be a cartoon character.

“Well, if it turns out to be a boy, he can still call it ‘Twink.’  Boys can be twinks.”

“Very funny.”  He sticks his tongue out at me.  I eat it.

“You were a twink.”

“That you picked up and brought home….an annoying stray that just wouldn’t leave you alone.”

“Well, that’s what happens when you feed them.  They just keep…coming… back.”  I don’t think I’ve ever kissed him as much during one sentence as I did during that one.

“And weasel their way into your heart.”  He gives as good as he gets.

“Only the intelligent, well-bred, extremely-fuckable, candy-ass ones.”

“You forgot unbelievably beautiful.” Such a modest twink.

“That’s a given.  I wouldn’t pick one up in the first place if that weren’t true.”  He grins at me and stops running his fingers through my hair for a second.

“You’re so sweet and romantic in your own twisted, fucked-up way.”

“Was that a compliment?”

“More like an observation.”

“Well then, I’ll take it under advisement—as soon as I’m done taking you under advisement.”  My lips spend an inordinate amount of time behind his ear and down his neck.

“You’re not taking me anywhere.”

“That’s what you think.  You better quit being such a smart ass.  You know what’s gonna happen if you don’t cut it out.”  He whispers in my ear.  “That’s right.  You better settle down.”  He moans in my arms.  This time when I kiss him, he stays with me for the duration.  It’s about damn time—my ego was starting to bruise.  God, I need more mornings like this.

“So anyway, about Gus…”  I should have bought him a muzzle at the pet store.  “Wasn’t he so cute last night dancing in the car?  We should take him to Babylon with us the next time we go.”

 When will that be?

“I’m sure the munchers would really go for that.”  I give up for awhile because he just needs to get this out of his system.  He just needs to think out loud.  His eyes are so blue this morning.

“Couldn’t you just see it?  We could put Gus up on the bar or on one of those risers, and he could dance with Emmett.”  He thinks this is a great idea.  I bust out laughing.

“Yeah, and then four hours later when it’s time to go, and we can’t find him anywhere….”

“He’ll be in the backroom.”  The realization that comes over his face when he says this is priceless.  The world doesn’t need another Brian Kinney.

“Maybe I’ll talk to Debbie and see if he can spend some time with Horvath and just put the kibosh on this dancing fettish he has.”  These thoughts of Gus ending up like me are making me sicker than watching dykes play tonsil hockey.

He scrunches up his nose.  “Yeah, I see what you mean.  What got me off on that subject anyway?  What was I talking about?”  His eyes look off to the right, and I give him a few second because he’ll remember, he almost always does.  “Oh yeah, Gus, reading to Gus, and you fell asleep while I was reading.”

“I fell asleep because of the way you read Dr. Seuss.  You get this sing-songy rhythmic thing going with your voice that just lulls me into dreamland.”  I imitate him.

“That’s not the only rhythmic thing I had going last night.”  God I’m hard.

“Now see, you thought you were off the subject.  Turns out you were dead on.”  Sometimes if you leave Justin to his own devices, he’ll end up exactly where you want him. 

“I really enjoyed it.  Did you?”  His sultry voice and the way he moves underneath me when he says that gives me chills.  He can go from being so sweet to so seductive in no time flat.  It makes my head spin.

“Um, yeah.  You could say that.” 

“Good, because so did I.  It was hot.”  He slides beneath me so he can kiss my chest, suck on my nipples.  “I don’t know what came over me.  I didn’t have any intention of seducing you last night.  It just sort of happened.” 

“I think it was that lotion you were massaging me with.  That stuff smelled incredible.  It made my skin so smooth.”  Which he can clearly tell since his hands all over it right now.  Fuck, I love watching him doing this.  He starts laughing.

“You can thank Emmett for that.  It was this cream he gave me yesterday—called ‘Butt Butter.’”  I rise up off of him, yank him back up by his hair, look at him like he’s crazy.  “Brian.”

What?”

“Calm down.  It’s just called that.  It’s just lotion.  It’s not really for your butt.  I read the container.  They just sell it in one of those faggy boutiques that Emmett goes to.”  I don’t believe him.  “I’m being serious.  It’s a huge container, and it smells really good, so I just thought I’d use it.  I’m going to leave it here anyway.  I’m not going to go through airport security with a tub of Butt Butter in my suitcase.”

“You can leave it at your Mom’s.”

“Fuck no, I’m not leaving it my Mom’s, you asshole.  Get over it.”  He hooks his arms around my neck, pulls up, and kisses me hard, pushing his tongue into my mouth.  I swear he’s going to make me see stars.  I guess I’m over it. I take advantage of him hanging off me and slide my left hand inside his pillowcase.  I’m taking charge of this now.  “What are you doing?” 

“Looking for your offering to the ‘Topping Fairy’.”  Bingo.  “Don’t think I don’t know about your little nightly ritual.”

“It’s not a ritual, and I don’t do it every night.”  He puts his head back down as I slide my hand out.  I flash the condom in his face.

“You put a brand new condom inside your pillow case every night before you go to sleep—your offering to the ‘Topping Fairy.’”  I tease him while I open the wrapper.  “I guess it worked last night, huh?  Your wish came true.”

“It’s not my offering to the ‘Topping Fairy’ you jerk; it’s just because I don’t like to reach all the way over to your stupid ‘party favor condom basket’ every time we fuck.” 

“Condoms make perfect party favors.”  Don’t they?

“If you’re going to give out party favors, you should be a little more creative.”

“Like what?”  I open the wrapper.  I guess I’m putting this thing on myself.  

“Like you could take that Butt Butter and put it into containers and give it to your tricks when they leave, you know.  Sort of like:  ‘We hope you’ve enjoyed your one and only visit to The House that Fuck Built.  Here’s a lovely parting gift.’”

“That’s cute. Very creative.  I might just do that.  You’ve never complained about my condom basket before.” 

“That’s because it’s not polite to insult the furnishings when you’re just a guest in someone’s home.  Do you want me to roll over?”

 “No, you’re fine. Point taken.  Can you bend your knees, please?” 

“Sorry.”  He yawns and stretches his arms over his head, his body arching into mine.  He lets out this irresistible sleepy moan.  “Mmmmmm.“

That was fucking spectacular.  He hands me the lube.  I know he doesn’t keep that under his pillow. 

There isn’t a bad position to fuck Justin in.  There are only degrees of ecstasy—depending on my mood, but watching him like this is almost poetic.  And I don’t think he has any idea.  This view of his body strewn on our bed is a work of art—especially on these white sheets.  That alone's driving me fucking nuts.

“Is there anything in particular you’d like this morning?”  I’m in a generous mood all of a sudden.

“Um, let me think.”  I suck on his neck while he ponders my question.  He better hurry up, or I’ll decide for him.  I may be generous, but I’m not very patient.  “Come here.”  He whispers in my ear.  Little devil.

“Oh no—not this morning.  We’ll never get out of bed.  Later, though, I promise.”   We’ve got a schedule to keep today.

“Okay.  Well, then I’ll just have whatever’s on special.”  Leave it to Justin to think of breakfast during foreplay.

“I knew you were hungry.”

“For you.” 

“For pancakes.”  I smile at him as he strokes himself.  God, that's so hot.  “I can get you some maple syrup if you want.”

“Stop talking about pancakes when your fingers are in my ass.  I’ll come too quick.”  He’s not kidding.  He will.

“I could talk about sausage.”  That’s making me harder.  Maybe I’m hungry.

“Only if you want to hear my stomach growl through this entire fuck.  I think I’m ready.”

“See all that talk about sausage paid off.”

“Shut up and fuck me.”  This is what I’m really going to miss.  Saturday morning specials.

He looks at me as I hover over him.  “Close your eyes Justin.”  I wrap my arms around him and nudge my way into the sweetest, most claustrophobic place I have ever been.   There's nothing more overwhelming than the first few seconds inside of him.  My push to get inside defeating his to get me out.  Fuck, I could hang off the edge of this cliff all day.  I can’t describe this.

Justin.”  

Oh fuck, it's so hot in here, so narrow.  My private, little tunnel for one.  God, I almost forget he’s underneath me.  I haven’t even moved yet.  I’m not even all the way in.

I am now.

“Oh.  Oh.  Fuck, that feels good Brian.”  My rhythm starts, slow.  I just watch him and go with it.  Nobody looks more beautiful at a moment like this than Justin Taylor.  I’m honored just to be here, really.  I keep him calm, so we can enjoy this, at least for a while.  Fuck him slowly, kiss him slowly, get him to look at me, instead of all over the place, to focus on this fuck.  Get his eyes back on mine.  “So what do you want to do today?”

That figures.  He wasn’t done talking.  Wishful thinking.

“Oh, I don’t know.  Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight?”

“I’m being serious. Brian.”

“So am I.  Wrap your legs around me.”  His hips tilt upward for me so I can slide in deeper. 

“Do you want me to put my legs up?”

“Up to you.  If you want.  I’m fine like this.” 

“Maybe in a minute.”  He arches into my arms again as I hit something wonderful inside him.  It makes me smile. “Ah, do that again, that was amazing.  Fuck, Brian.  I don’t know how you do that.”  His fingers dig into my skin.

“It’s pretty simple.  Put Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor in a bed and stir.  The directions are on the….back….of….the…box.”

“And people say you can’t cook.”  Our kissing should render him speechless for awhile.  I can’t ever fuck him without kissing him.  The closer I get to Grand Central Orgasm the stronger that desire becomes.  I swear if he doesn’t shut up, though, I’m going to spank the shit out of him.

“Okay, little less conversation, for a minute, if you don’t mind.” My lips meet his every time my dick sinks back into his ass. 

“Can I just say one more thing?”  This is it.

“Fine.  One more thing.”  I stop for just a second and give him my attention.

“I love it when you fuck me like this.”  I guess that was worth stopping for. 

“Get your legs up.”  His legs are on my shoulders in a heart beat, and I fuck him hard now.  I can get to all of him like this.  His eyes pop open so wide when I hit his prostate again and again—once, twice, I’ve lost track.

I feel him shift in my arms, feel his warm breath in my ear, that fucking hot thing he does with his voice.  “Tell me.”

“Tell you what?”  He clings to me, our foreheads pressed together.

“You know what.  Tell me, Brian, please.” 

“Oh, so now you want me to talk?”

“Brian, please.”  He tightens his grip around my neck and starts licking my ear.  He’ll bite me.

“What?  That I’m going to fuck your sweet little ass?” 

“Yes.”  He brings his lips to mine and slides his tongue in my mouth.  “Keep going.” 

“That you’re my little bottom boy?”  He purrs, practically growls, in my arms. 

“Yes.”  His moaning sends me into orbit.  “More.”  He bit me.  Fuck, I love that.

“That all little bottom boys get their asses fucked like this?  Is that what you want to hear?”  God, I love it when he makes that “fuck me” face. 

“Yes.  God.  Yes.  Fuck.  Yes.”

“And you know it, don’t you?  That you’re my little bottom boy, and you'l always get your tight little ass fucked like this —no matter where you are?  Right?….Right?”

“Right.  Fuck.  Oh my god. Fuck.” 

Jesus Christ, I haven’t fucked him this hard...since……….the last time I fucked him this hard.  His ass is so tight, and warm, and slippery, holy fuck, this is nirvana. 

“And you know that this is nothing compared to how I’m going to fuck you this afternoon……….and tonight?”  His hand slaps the mattress.  “Get your hands back on me.”

“Brian.  Fuck.  Stop.  Oh my god.”  His face looks like the first time.  I could come from that alone.

“No.” 

He’s about to come, but he doesn’t want to, or maybe he does.  He has no control.  I do.  I love this part.

“Please, oh fuck, please, Brian.”  His head thrashes on his pillow.  He’s almost there.

“No.”

I don’t even need to think about my release.  As soon as he goes, I’ll be right behind him.  No one could watch him come like this and not spontaneously erupt.  It’s fucking beautiful.

His fingers dig into my biceps, and then my hair, behind my ears, and down my back.  He’s everywhere.  He manages to grab his cock again and jerk it a few more times.  I’d do it for him, but I’m holding him, my arms wrapped around his head and shoulders, his head tucked tightly against my chest—our unspoken agreement.  His eyes are closed again.  It won’t be long now.  I can feel him tightening around me.  Christ, that’s like heaven.

“Aaaaaaah.  Brian.  Now.  Now.  Oh please.  Oh my god.  I love you.”  And Justin springs eternal.  I am maybe ten seconds behind him.  I feel myself rush into him, rush to catch up, my experience paling in comparison to his.  His body begins to collapse in my arms.  Fucking Justin is like skydiving.  It’s not the plane ride.  It’s the jump and the fall.

His body peels off of mine after a minute or so, and we sink into the sheets.

“You okay?” I ask him as I realize that we are back at the beginning again, me lying on top of him, kissing him, playing with his hair.
 
“Yeah.  Just hold me for a minute, okay?”

“As long as you want.”

Chapter 10-Intentions-Brian's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

Well, please don't ask me what'sa on my mind
I'm a little mixed up, but I'm feelin' fine
When I'm near that girl that I love best
My heart beats so it scares me to death


10:42 a.m. Saturday morning

Daphne has arrived, in more ways than one, and right on schedule.  I’m waiting for her outside my building.

“You look hot, Brian.  Those are my favorite jeans on you.”  Daphne—sweet and enchanting as usual.  She leans in to me, on her toes, and kisses me on the cheek.

“Thanks.”  Why did she have to compliment me first?  Now, I’m totally off my game.  Shake it off, Kinney.  “Slight change of plans.”  I put my arm around her and lead her towards my car.

“Why?  I thought I was supposed to come over here at 10:45 sharp and surprise Justin and take him to lunch—or brunch, I guess.”

“You are, but he’s not ready.  Get in.”  I open her door for her.  “I’m going out for cigarettes.  We’re all out.” 

“So he’s still in the dark?”

“Yeah.”  She opens her purse and pulls out her cigarettes, offering me one.  I accept.  I light hers and mine while we stop at a traffic light.  “So, did you fuck that guy two nights in a row?”  I smirk at her.

“What guy?”

“That guy you were talking to Justin about on the phone the other night.  The one he was telling you not to fuck-“

“Oh, him, Andy, god, no.  He’s history.”  I knew there was a reason I liked this girl so much.  Justin has the best hag.

“Why’d you dump him so fast?”

“He had a lot to learn.  Let’s just leave it at that.”  She cracks her window, blowing her smoke out.

“Like what?”

“Like none of your business.”

“Oh, come on.  “You can’t just tell me ‘he had a lot to learn’ and leave it at that.”

“You are worse than Justin.”  She rolls her eyes.  I’m probably better than Justin at some things too.  I’ve always been so curious about that, about how Justin was with Daphne. I don’t know why I’m wondering about that this morning.  “All I’m going to tell you is that he should’ve keep his mouth shut.  They way he carried on, you’d think he knew a lot more about…well, you know what I mean.”

“About pussy.”

“Right.  I can’t stand guys like that.  Seriously, he should’ve kept his mouth shut—for both reasons--because, quite frankly, you probably know more about it than he does.”

“I’ll have you know that Justin and I picked up some pussy last night.”  I’m going to get so much mileage out of this kitten.

“Did you eat it?”

 “Um, no.”

“Well, then, the three of you have something in common.” Justin’s taste in women impresses me more and more every day.  She kills her cigarette as we pull into the store parking lot.  I need to stop hitting on this girl for sport; she’s totally out of my league.

“I’ll be right back.”

Daphne is on the phone with one of her girlfriends when I get back to the car.

What am I doing right now?  Riding around town trying to score cigarettes with the hottest uber-gay guy you’ll ever meet.  No, you don’t know him.  No, not Justin—Justin’s evil-half.  I’ll call you later.  That guy you set me up with tonight better not be a troll.  Later.  And if he’s even remotely a troll, he better pay for dinner.”  For some reason, I want to give her fifty bucks, just so she’ll call and tell me all about it.  “Okay, so tell me what’s the big secret?  What do you have up your sleeve?”  She turns in her seat to face me, all excited.

“This.”  I open the glove compartment and hand her the brochure with everything in it, the reservation, the details for today and tonight.  She looks a little stunned.

“Wow.  This is really nice.  I can’t believe you’re doing this for him.”  She looks at me.  I look at her.  She knows I can’t get emotional right now.  She doesn’t want to either.  “You know that there’s a huge bible convention or something going on there this weekend, right?”

I didn’t know that.  “No.”

“Yeah, one of my girlfriend’s fathers owns a Christian bookstore.  This place is going to be packed.”

“So?”  Bible-beaters aren’t my style, but I’ve been known to unbuckle a bible-belt or two.

 “So, it’s going to be almost impossible for you to drop him off in the front, with all of the buses and everything.”

“I wasn’t planning on dropping him off in the front.”  Why would I?

“Well he isn’t going to be able to go with you into the parking deck.”  She looks at me like I’m crazy and then it sinks in.  “He hasn’t told you, has he?”

“Told me what?” 

“Oh shit.”  She sighs and lays her head against the back of her seat.  “That he won’t, can’t, go near a parking garage.  I shouldn’t have told you this.  You didn’t know, did you?”

My hand is on her wrist.  I want her to look at me.  “Whatever you’re talking about, he hasn’t told me.”

“Probably because he’s embarrassed about it, and afraid—that it will happen again.”

“That what will happen again?”  I pull the brochure out of her hand and throw it on the dashboard.

“He has pretty severe panic attacks Brian.”  She looks at me for my reaction.  “He’s very ashamed of them.”

“Since when?  He was walking around with a fucking gun Daphne.”

“I know.”

“I mean, he has nightmares, and I think he still has flashbacks sometimes, but when did this start?” 

“I don’t know how many he’s had, but the first one I know of was the first time he went to a follow-up appointment at the hospital by himself, you know, without his mom.  And you know the way that hospital is set up.  You have to walk through the parking garage and over that covered walkway to go in, no matter what.”

“I know how that hospital is set up.  It’s fucking stupid.”  I know that place like the back of my hand.

 “Well, he took the bus there that day.”

“And what happened?”

“All I know is what he told me.  He freaked out in the parking garage after he got off the bus.  He couldn’t even get to the walkway.  He couldn’t breathe, couldn’t move;  felt like he was going to die.  He said all of the smells and noises echoing made him feel like everything was crashing down on him—something about being in that claustrophobic space, you know.  He felt like he couldn’t get out, like he was lost in a maze.   It was so bad that another person who was trying to find a parking spot saw him, thought he was having a heart attack or something, found an attendant, and they called the paramedics.  He won’t go near one now.   It makes him feel out of control, or something, I guess.”

Fuck.  “He told you about this, but he didn’t tell me.  Why?  Why didn’t he tell me or ask me to go with him?” 

“You guys weren’t together then.  He was with Ethan.”  Her voice fades away as she tells me this, and we are both quiet for a few seconds.

I'm fucking going to kill him.  “So he didn’t tell me, or his Mom?”

“Apparently not.”  She looks agitated, like she’s done something wrong, but it’s not her fault.  Justin's the most stubborn person I know, except for me. “He’s embarrassed, I guess.  And don’t take this the wrong way, Brian, but he knows that you see things in a very black and white way sometimes, and he just can’t.  It’s not something that he can just snap his fingers and fix, so he hides it.  And since he refuses to go back to the hospital, he hasn’t gotten any treatment for them either.”

“It just doesn’t make any sense.  I know he’s been in a parking garage since the bashing.  You guys go to the mall.”

“I drop him off out front and meet him inside.  His mother does, too; she doesn’t ask questions.  He’s very, very creative about figuring out ways to avoid them.  And honestly, Brian, now that I think about it, I think he just doesn’t bring it up with you because he knows that the whole subject is painful for you too.  He doesn’t want to make you remember it any more than he does.  He doesn’t want to hurt you, so he just keeps it bottled up, until-.”

“Until something sets him off.”  Like Thursday night.  “And then the damn breaks.”  This is why he’s so nervous about going to L.A. by himself.  I wish I could stop all of the thoughts that are flooding into my head right now.  “Why didn’t you tell me?  You told me about that posse crap.”

“I wasn’t sure that he hadn’t told you for one, and, two, he hasn’t said a word about them in months.  I think he basically ignores the problem until he can’t.  I know that he was with some friends at PIFA one day who wanted to go have lunch, and they all started walking out to their cars, and he begged off.  He can’t deal.  I just didn’t know that you didn’t know.  I mean, I figured with all this, this new job and all, that he would have told you by now.”

“I don’t know whether to go ring his neck or yell at him or…” or just go back to the loft, cancel everything, and just do whatever it takes to convince him that he’s okay, that everything is going to be fine.  We can spend the rest of the weekend walking up and down every parking garage in the fucking city if we have to.  We're back at my building.  I stop the car.  She’s watching me.

“Brian, I can’t tell what you’re thinking.  I can’t tell if you’re really pissed or really worried.”

“A little pissed and a lot worried, but I’m glad you told me because I would’ve had a fucking disaster on my hands.”

“Well, you can’t be that pissed, Brian.  You wouldn’t even tell him you were having a testicle removed.  You two deserve each other, if you ask me.”  I want to give her a dirty look, but I can’t.  She’s right.  Sometimes Justin and I are more alike than I ever realize.  “You aren’t going to cancel your plans are you?”

“No.  I was planning on telling him where we were going, but I’m not going to now.  I’ll just pick him up from the diner, and he’ll just have to be none the wiser for a little while longer.”  I was getting excited about telling him too.  “I don’t want him to know that I know all this.  Not now.”  I’ve learned more about Justin in the last forty-eight hours than I have in four years.  Not to mention that I’ve got the wrong list my wallet.  I don’t need a list of neurologists; I need a list of psychiatrists.  That ought to be a fun conversation.

“Yeah, that might put a damper on things.”

“I guess I’ll just call the hotel before I get to the diner and tell them I need curbside valet service.  I wasn’t planning on spoiling him that rotten.”

“Aw, he’s worth it.”  She’s smiling again.  She’s right. He is.

“We better go back in.  He’s going to call me any minute.  It doesn’t take him long to look pretty.”

“I know. I hate blonds.  He looks prettier than me half the time.”  She makes me laugh.  “I won’t miss walking down the street and having everyone gawk at him instead of me.”  Her face gets a little more serious as she looks out the window. 

I will.
*********************************************

Come on baby I'm tired of talking
Grab your coat and let's start walking


11:04 am

Justin isn’t ready for shit, unless the ‘shit’ is Captain Crunch and cartoons.

“Why aren’t you dressed?”  Daphne's right behind me.  He hasn’t noticed.  Why would he?  Josie and the Pussycats is much more intriguing.  I always know when he’s bummed out because he watches Boomerang--some network where really old cartoons go to die.  One Saturday morning, he made me sit through three hours of that crap and listen to him pontificate about the rampant latent homosexuality in early American animation.  I got so sick of it, I picked him up, carried him back to bed and fucked him one time for every episode of Yogi Bear he made me watch.  He told me that just proved his point.

“I told you, I want to take a shower with you.  I could give a fuck about cigarettes.”  He looks up.  “Daph.  What’re you doing here?”

“I ran into her when I was coming back in.  She came to take you to lunch.”

“I’m not really hungry now.”  Daphne plops down on the sofa beside him.  “Why didn’t you call?”

“I wanted to surprise you.  Plus, it was kind of a last minute thing.  I had a date last night that I thought was going to run late, but it didn’t, so here I am.  Go get dressed!  I’m hungry!”

“Look, Daph, it’s not that I don’t want to hang out with you because I do; I just really wanted to spend this day with Brian.  We can have lunch tomorrow, if you want.”  He looks over at me like ‘back me up on this, okay?’

Now I know exactly how Debbie feels when she slaps Michael upside the head.  “Justin, turn off the fucking cartoons and go take a shower.”  He looks at me and rolls his eyes.  I walk into the bathroom and start the shower.  That will get him going.  He joins me under the water in less than a minute.  I know him so well.  “What the fuck is your problem?”  I pour shampoo into my hands and start washing his hair.  He’s facing me, his hands on my hips.

“I want to spend the day with you, okay?  I didn’t even want to get out of bed.”

“You have to eat.”

“So order out.  She can eat with us.”  I tip his head back and rinse his hair.  I use the conditioner he likes.  Mine.  It smells so good.

“She wants to be with you.  It’s not going to hurt you to spend an hour having lunch with her.”  Rinse again.  Lathering hands with soap.

“Brett sent my e-ticket.”  So that’s the problem.  “My flight leaves at 8:47 am on Monday.”  He can’t see my face.  I’m washing his back.

“Well, that works out well because I have a presentation at 10:00.”

“We’ll have to go early for security and all that stuff.  Plus, it’s Monday morning and that’s a busy day for business travel.”  He’s watching the water go down the drain.

“We will.”

“I called my mom.  I told her that I wanted you to take me, that I just wanted it to be me and you.”  I think I’m done washing him, that I’ve done everything.  Fuck, I can’t remember.  He turns around in my arms.

“She’s okay with that?”  He takes the soap out of my hands, lathers up, runs his soapy hands over my body.

“Not really, but she’ll get over it.  That’s why I called her now—to give her time to get over it.  She sounded weird on the phone anyway, like she wasn’t alone.  My mom has about five different voices.  There was someone there with her this morning when I talked to her.”

“Maybe it was Molly.”

“No, not that kind of weird.  She was using her:  ‘Oh, that’s nice honey, but I really can’t talk right now, can I call you back later? Love you, too.’ voice.”  I laugh at his impression of his mother.  “Turn around.”

He washes my back.  I ask for shampoo.  “So are you getting excited?”  I could never pull off this question if I was looking at him.

“Sure.”  Somehow I think the same of his answer.  “So what are you going to do while we’re having lunch?”

“I’m going to turn this place upside down until I find my little black book.  Once you leave, I’m going to have a helluva time re-establishing my status, that I’m back on the market.  You’ve fucking ruined that for me.  I’ll never get a blow job in this town again.”

“They’ll blow you once they realize I’m really gone, that I’m not going to walk around the corner and tell them to fuck off or that you’re not going to abandon them with their pants down in the backroom because they’re playing my favorite song.”

Yeah, that was funny as shit.  “You dared me to do that.  That doesn’t count.”  I turn around to face him, laughing at the memory of that guy so fucking pissed at me, of Justin waving good-bye to him as he stormed out of Babylon, at the fact that he didn’t come back for at least at month.  I pull him to me.  “That guy was an annoying gnat that wouldn’t leave you alone.  It had to be done.  You know what they say:  ‘sometimes a gay man’s gotta do…”

“’what a gay man’s gotta do.’  I know, and I just wanna fuck, okay?  All day.  That’s all I want to do.”  His hand is on my cock.  My arms hang loosely over his shoulders, the soap suds trailing down his back and onto the tile as we kiss for a minute or so.  I’d love nothing more than to stay like this, but we’ve kept Daphne waiting long enough, and we’ve got bigger and better things to do, that will eventually lead to the fucking.  All roads lead to the fucking. 

“Listen to me.  Are you listening?”  Our foreheads lean together, my wet hair plastered between us.  “I gave up Rage to be Elvis right?”

“Right.”  The rolling eyes of a skeptic. 

“And Elvis is the King right?”

“Right.  Is this a ‘degrees of separation’ thing?’
 
“Shut up and listen.  And if I’m the King, you have to do what I say, right?”

“Whatever.”

“Don’t ‘whatever’ me.”  I smack him on the butt.

“Fine.  Right.  Whatever.”

“You’re going to go have lunch with her for an hour.  Then when you’re done, she’ll bring you back here, and I’ll fuck your brains out all day long.  I’ll fuck you so hard you will need that entire tub of butt stuff just to get ready for tonight.  He slips his tongue in my mouth.  Devious.  “And if you’re really good, I’ll give you a coupon from the Topping Fairy that you can redeem before you....go.”

He moans in my arms and for good reason.  I wasn’t even paying attention.  I was jerking him off through that whole conversation.  He just came in my hand. 

“I don’t want to leave you.”

“It’s just for an hour Justin.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

 I know. 
*************************************************


He’s all smiles getting dressed.  I want to think it’s because I jerked him off or because he’s excited about the afternoon fuck-fest he thinks he’s getting, but I know it’s because it’s time for lunch.  His blond head pokes through his black turtleneck sweater.  He knows he looks so fucking hot in that sweater.

“Do you want me to bring you something back?”  Always wearing sneakers.  I’ll never break him of that habit.  I hand him his wallet.  He stuffs it in his jeans.

“Yeah, a sandwich or whatever.  You know what I like.”  He buttons my shirt as I zip my jeans, looking up as I lean down to kiss him good-bye.

“Yeah, I do.”  He flattens his hand against my chest and pushes me a little as he walks away.  “Come on Daph.  I’m ready to go.”


*************************************************


It doesn’t take me long to pack what we need and check in with Laverne and Shirley and make sure they’re on schedule.  I call Ted’s phone, but Emmett answers.  I guess he knows it’s me.

“Everything’s fine.”

“Let me speak to Theodore.”

“Hold, please.”

Teddy, Brian would like a word with you.”  I hear a lot of rustling.

“Ted Schmidt.”

“No shit.  How’s it going?”

“As well as can be expected.  Emmett’s a little, well, opinionated, but he’s getting over it.”

“Keep it simple.  Tell him to let Paul do his job.”

“That’s what I’m doing.  We’ll see you at the Fairmont.”

“Don’t forget to come by here and pick up my suit.  It’s in a bag in the closet.”

“We won’t.  Don’t worry.  We’ll see you soon.”
*************************************************************
Justin is surprised when I walk into the diner, grab my lunch, and say, “Come on.”  He tells Daphne he’ll see her tomorrow and follows me out to the car with a quizzical look on his face.  It doesn’t take him long to realize that we’re not driving towards the loft.

“Where are we going?  You promised me that we could stay in the loft all afternoon and fuck.”

I scarf my sandwich and enjoy his mild aggravation at me.  “Did you have a good time with Daphne?”

“Don’t change the subject.  Answer me.  Where are we going?”

“Do you want to spend a lot of time fucking this weekend?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“Then fucking quit asking me that.  If you ask me again, I’m going to blindfold you and put you in the trunk.”  He cuts his eyes at me, which he knows I see, and then revs up one of those trademark little grins that make his eyes twinkle and make me sorry I wore these jeans instead of the looser ones.  I want to stop the car and fuck him right now.

We turn onto the street that the Fairmont Hotel is on, and Daphne wasn’t kidding.  The traffic is bumper to bumper with bible-beaters and their buses.  We aren’t going anywhere fast, but Justin keeps himself busy, as usual.

“Oh my god.  Look at all these cars.  What the fuck is going on at the Fairmont?” 

“I have no idea.”  I watch him turn around in his seat.  Nice view. 

“Every church bus from the state of Pennsylvania is in their parking lot Brian.”

“Maybe Jesus is here doing a book signing.  I hear his original signature goes for a lot on e-bay.” I see the valet a few hundred feet ahead of us.  He sees my car.  He’s patiently waiting while we inch forward in this traffic, enjoying the smoke break.  I’ve had enough business meetings and conferences at the Fairmont to know the staff fairly well.  They’re top notch; they take care of their customers.  Justin is still turned around in his seat counting buses.

“There are at least nineteen different churches here, and I’m sure I missed some.  Holy Jesus.”

“He’s the reason they’re here.”  And we’re about to be.

“Thank god I don’t have to be anywhere near this place.  Bunch of hypocritical lunatics.  I’ll bet Reverend Tom and your mom will be here.”

I really needed to hear that.  “Don’t thank him too soon.”  I pull over to the side of the road where John is standing, no cigarette now, looking like a crisp, clean Fairmont Hotel professional.  Daphne was right.  There’s no way in hell I would’ve ever gotten into the entrance.  I put my hazard lights on and get out.  “Justin, this is our stop.  Get out of the car.”

I dart around to the trunk to get our stuff and then around to get Justin out.  He still looks dazed and confused.  “Justin, come on.  We’ve got to get out of the way.”  I hand John my spare key.  “You can leave it at the desk.  I’ll get it later.”

“I’ll leave the garage location with it, Mr. Kinney.  Enjoy your stay.”  And he’s gone.  I put my arm around Justin’s shoulder and lead him into the lobby, his head turning all over the place, taking in the bible-beaters, the convention hoop-la, and then the lobby of the Fairmont.  I don’t think he’s ever been here before.  It’s a little bit breathtaking your first time.  I feel like I’ve got Gus at Disneyworld.

“Holy shit!  This place is incredible.  What are we doing here?”

The lobby is packed, and it’s almost impossible to stop walking, so we don’t.  “We’re celebrating.”  I bend my head down to his, his tucked underneath my arm.  He looks up at me like he doesn’t understand, but I don’t have time to explain it to him right now because I’m too busy steering him through this crowd of cross-wearing, bad-dressing propaganda pushers.   

We’re at the counter when I feel him leaning against me as I check in, the newness of this place wearing off a little, I guess.  “Here, take this.”  I hand him the room keys and some paperwork.  I’m carrying everything else. 

“If you need anything Mr. Kinney, just let us know.  Your suite is ready.”  I give Justin one of my, “So, whadda’ya think” smiles,” and he wraps his arms around my neck and kisses me like he hasn’t seen me in a year.  I don’t think the Christian cronies appreciated that very much.  The clerk behind the desk found it rather amusing. 

“Brian, which elevator do we take?”  He’s walking ahead of me.  There are four to choose from, and I have no idea off the top of my head.  He figures it out.  “You have to take this one to the fourteenth and then you have to get off and take this one to the twenty-eighth.  We’re almost on the top floor!”

“Yeah, well the top floor is the honeymoon suite.  I’m not staying in a honeymoon suite.  Too much pink.”  He laughs.

“Come on.”  The first elevator is packed.  Justin tells me that he figures many more people stay on the first fourteen floors because they're cheaper, so this elevator will always be more crowded, statistically.  Sometimes I think he thinks I’m an idiot and can’t figure these things out on my own.  “Oh my god, this isn’t the place that you almost fucked that client is it?”

“Not above the fourteenth floor.”  I wink at him.  He rolls his eyes and looks a little amazed and proud. The things that make him happy sometimes….

The second elevator clears out by floor nineteen.  It’s just me and him.  “It’s nice that there isn’t a doorman in this elevator.”

“I requested that.  Cost me a little extra.”  He presses his body against mine as I lean against the back of the elevator.  We’ve just passed floor twenty-one. 

“I don’t know why you did this for me, but I don’t really care right now.  I’m just very, extremely, fucking horny.”  I close my eyes for a second and inhale the scent of the shampoo I used on him this morning.  Floor twenty-three.

“Um, so am I, and if you don’t get your sweet little lips off of my neck and your hot little hand off my dick, you’re going to have to clean this elevator because I’m going to come all over it.”  Twenty-four.

“I don’t care.”  That’s because you won’t be the one paying to get jizz out of the brand new carpet.  His palm makes repeated runs over my denim dick.  I lick my lips.

 “I’m not kidding.  You know I go bananas when you do that.”  Twenty-five. 

“Tell me what you’re going to do me.  I want to know.”  Keep one hand on the luggage and the other above his waist.

“What would Jesus do?”  Twenty-six.  Dear Lord, deliver us from evil, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.  God was comforted by a rod?  The man is no help.

“What would Justin do?” 

“What wouldn’t Justin do?”  Twenty-seven.

“Nothing.  There’s nothing I wouldn’t do.”  He unzips my jeans, slipping his hand inside.  Sweet Jesus. 

“I can think of one thing you won’t do.”  I look down at him as he starts lowering himself to his knees.

“What?”  He looks up at me. 

“Get the fuck off the elevator.  We’re here.”

Twenty-eight. 

Salvation.

*********************************

1:07 pm

He opens the door to the suite, and I hear “wow” come out of his mouth as I close the door.  The place is really too gaudy for me, far too Victorian and feminine, but it’s luxurious and private and ours and that makes it pretty much perfect right now.  He’s looking out the window, commenting about all of the traffic, more about the convention, and I just wait for him to turn around, to realize that I’m just standing here, holding the luggage, waiting to go into the bedroom. 

He turns around.

“Are you waiting for me?”  He looks almost shy, maybe, not quite.

“Yes.”  He walks over to me, and I point him in the direction of the bedroom, following his footsteps.  I place our bag down on the luggage rack while he looks around.

“We’ve never had a bed like this before.”  He runs his hand up one of the four posters. 

“I know.”  I stand beside him.

“I like this.”  I turn him around.

“I thought you would.”  I close my eyes for a brief second as his fingers fold together behind my neck.  “Don’t you want to look at the bathroom?”  I press him against the poster.

“Not right now.” 

“What do you want to do?” 

“I can’t think of a damn thing.”

“Me either.”  We kiss for what seems like a really long time; we kiss until he pulls away.

“I’m going to go look at the bathroom now.  I have to pee.”  I release him from my arms.

“Okay.”  I unzip our bag, having only brought one for the two of us, and unpack the things I brought.  I hang a couple of things in the closet, stock the nightstand with condoms and lube, and put our personal things on the dresser.  He emerges from the bathroom.

“You brought my sketchpad?”

“Yeah.  Two of them.  The big one and the small one.  I didn’t know which one you’d want.  And your pencils.”  I pull them out of the bag and lay them on the dresser.  “The bathroom’s huge isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it’s amazing.  This whole place is amazing.  So what’re we celebrating?”  He takes his sketch pads and flops down on the bed, flipping through them to see if they have any blank pages.  I already made sure they did.

“Your achievement.”  I take the pads off of his lap and flop down on top of him.  “I already made sure they had blank pages in them.  You don’t have to check.” 

“Well, I need a pencil sharpener.”

“There’s one on the desk.”

“And an eraser.  I need my big eraser.”

“It’s in the bag, in the front pocket.”

“Well, I need a blow job.”

“Let me go look.  I’m not sure if I remembered to bring that.”  I get off the bed and walk over to our luggage and look inside.  “Nope, sorry.  I forgot.  Maybe you can buy one in the gift shop.”  My shirt is off before I’m back to the bed.  I jump back on the bed and lie beside him.

“As fancy as this place is, you’d think they’d be included.”  His button-fly levis only make his life more difficult.

“Why don’t you call the front desk and see if they’ll send one up?  I’ll wait.”  I hand him the phone.  Oh look, his underwear matches his sweater. 

I hope that phone doesn’t automatically dial the front desk when you pick it up.  “Hello?  Yes, this is Mr. Taylor in suite….  What’s our room number?”

“Um, 2821.”  I throw his socks and shoes and across the room.

“Yes, Mr. Taylor in suite 2821.  Could you please send up one of your complimentary fellatio-boys?  Yes.  Right away.”  He looks at me with his self-satisfied grin.  “We require his services immediately.  Thank you.”

“Why don’t you stop pretending to be rich and famous and help me get this sweater off?  I love this sweater, but it’s a bitch to get off.  He’s finally naked and finally against me, and I can finally just concentrate on fucking him.  I have a firm hold on his ass.  “You sounded just like Emmett.  You need to stop hanging out with nelly bottoms.”

“You like my nelly bottom.”

“I’m about to show you just how much.”  I pull him over to the edge of the bed as I get up.  He stands up with me, undoing my jeans.  “I want to take advantage of this nice, high bed.  Turn around.”  He smiles at me as he turns around and lies on the bed, parallel with the headboard, his bottom right where I want it.  His feet barely touch the floor.  I don’t even bother taking my jeans all the way off.   The only nice thing about having to sheath myself is getting to look at his perfect little ass.  “This is what I promised you earlier.”

He bites his lip and bends his knees into the side of the bed as I push inside him, my hand sliding down his back.  His hands ball into fists as he realizes that the lube was for me, not him.  “I love fucking you like this Justin.  Hard.  Fast.  And to the point."  I pull his hips to mine, forcing him to take the rest of me.  He can handle it.  He wants it.  My hands knead his ass as I fuck him, moving him into me, instead of me into him, as long as I can stand it.

He exhales.  I feel it and hear it.  “Uh, uh, Brian.”  His fingers start to straighten.  “Go, please, go.”

"Are you ready for me to fuck you?"

"Yes.  God, yes.  Fucking go."

And I’m gone.  Walking right into the light as it welcomes me, squeezes me, moans for me, and begs for me to fuck it.  And I do.  I fuck the holy shit out of it.  I don’t even stray from the light until I feel him trying to catch his own offering in his hands, trying not to stain the bedspread.  I try to help him as I lie on a heap on top of him, but I don’t think I’m very successful.

“Fuck it Justin.  The bedspread’s white.  No one will ever notice.”

“Yeah, I know.  I gave up.”  He flips over underneath me, and we kiss for several minutes.  “I liked that.  It was yummy.”  Yummy?  Where does he come up with this shit?


“You know what else is yummy?”  I glance at the digital clock on the nightstand.  1:52 pm.  Unfortunately, we’ve got to get dressed.

“You.”  He’s still horny.  He’s like the fucking energizer bunny.

“Besides me.” 

“No.”  I have to keep pulling away from his lips; they’re chasing me.

This.”  I reach over to grab the leather-bound listing of all of the restaurants in the hotel.

“What’s that.”  He’s not even remotely interested. 

“This is a list of the ten different restaurants they have in this hotel.  One of which we will be eating at tonight.  So why don’t you look through here and see which one you want?”

“Later.  Not now.”

“We have to do it now.  I have to make the reservation.”  He ignores me and continues his assault on my body, but by some incredible miracle, which I can only attribute to the overbearing presence of God in this hotel today, we are saved by the bell, or the buzz rather.

“Brian, either your jeans have a small motor in them or your cell is going off.”  I hadn’t even noticed.  I slide my hand in the front pocket of my jeans and pull it out.  He was right.  I look at the caller ID.

Shit.  This can’t be good.

Chapter 11-Luxury-Brian/Justin POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

Do that to me one more time
Once is never enough with a man like you


There are so many things wrong with this picture.

It’s just not right to be washing spunk off of your (much younger and very hot) boyfriend’s stomach…

while he sits (naked) on the bathroom counter of a luxurious hotel…

filled with bible buyers…

talking your four-year-old son down from a “Why can’t I take the kitten to the grocery store? I took her to a pet store. What’s the difference?” ledge…

while you try to act like you don’t know that there’s going to be a knock on the door in, oh say, six minutes.

He flips my phone shut and puts it on the counter.

“I explained it to him. He calmed down, and Lindsay’s happy. It’s very nice of you to clean me up, but I can do it myself, you know.” Right, like this would get done if I wasn’t doing it. We’d be fucking again. Please stop licking my ear.

“It’s the least I could do since my son has no use for me anymore. He wants ‘Mr. Justin.’” I toss the washcloth in the sink and plant my now cold hands on his thighs. “Apparently, all I’m good for is fucking you and cleaning you up.”

“Oh, you’re such a big baby. It’s unbelievably cute when you get jealous over me and Gus.”

“You’re unbelievably cute sitting on this bathroom counter when I can see your pretty ass in the mirror.” I yank him closer to me, wrapping his legs around me. His skin is warm, this counter is cool, and, oh fuck, I shouldn’t be thinking about this right now.

“Ow, that hurt.”

“Yeah, right. You loved it.” He reaches behind him and pulls one of my hands off his back, glides it down his chest, right over his rock hard little nipples, and plants it on his cock, which is painfully hard. That’s what hurts. He licks his lips and looks at me from underneath those long eyelashes. He has no shame. His hand covers mine, gripping my fingers and moving it the way he wants it, my thumb swiping the beads of fluid beginning to spill out.

“Is somebody knocking on our door?” Forehead to forehead. Hand in hand. A true team effort.

“Quite possibly. You should put some clothes on.” He starts pushing me faster, his grip on my hand getting tighter, everything getting much more slippery. I let him lead for a little while longer, closing my eyes and listening to all the little sounds he makes when he jerks off. I wonder if he says my name this many times when he’s all alone. Fuck, that's so hot.

“I thought you put that sign up—that we’re not to be disturbed.” He’s leaning against me now, tucking his head in the crook of my shoulder, his legs holding me against the cabinets below us. The drawer pulls dig into my thighs, even through my jeans. He’s getting close.

“I guess someone can’t read.” My free hand spreads out on his chest. “Let go. Lean back. Now.” His arm falls from me as I push him back against the mirror and lean down to suck his orgasm right out of him. He props himself on his hands, arching his back to stay off the cold mirror, one foot struggling to find the edge of the counter, the other dangling as my palm pins his thigh next to the sink. My hand's firm on the small of his back as he fills my mouth with the sweetest stuff that has ever gone down my throat.

“Oh my god, my god. I didn’t know you were going to do that.” They ought to serve him in one of these restaurants; he tastes that good.

“I didn’t want to have to clean you up again.” I suck every last drop out of him before I pull him away from the mirror to kiss me; I love his disoriented little face.

“Fuck.” He runs his hands through his hair as I help him off the counter. “Who the fuck's banging on our door?”

“If you don’t get dressed, you’ll never know. Now go.” I swat him on the ass and push him into the bedroom. “Hurry up.”

Fellatio-boy, my ass. That ought a hold him for a while. I close the bedroom door behind me as I head into the outer room.

********************************************


'Cause we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl


“Praise holy Jesus hallelujah! Somebody finally opened the fucking door!” Emmett’s shirt looks like Debbie’s curtains. I hope my money didn’t pay for that.

“See, I told you they were fucking. You owe me twenty dollars.” Theodore looks mildly pleased with himself.

“We weren’t fucking. I was enhancing his masturbatory experience.” I hate fags with limited sexual repertoires.

“God, I want that.” Theodore’s face gets all dreamy for a second. “But not with you. I didn’t mean with you.” Ah, the end of a fantasy. Sad, really, and well, just sad.

“It wouldn’t matter if you did. I wasn’t offering.”

Emmett pushes past me into the room. “Okay ladies, Paul’s on the clock here. Let’s get moving. Chop, chop! Where’s Barbie?”

“I think you mean Skipper.” Ted Schmidt’s sarcastic sideshow.

“Oh no, honey, I’ve seen this boy naked. He’s no Skipper.” Emmett shields his mouth with his hand and whispers. “Trust me.

“Why the fuck do you two whisper when I’m standing right here?” Paul stays above the fray as I help him set everything up. “And when the fuck did you see Justin naked?”

“He’s seen me a million times, in the backroom at Babylon, just like everyone else.” Justin's standing in the doorway of the bedroom looking confused, dumbfounded, and maybe slightly pissed. “What’s going on?”

I guess I don’t answer him quickly enough for Emmett. “We’ve brought you a little surprise sweetie!” He starts out full of piss and vinegar, gesturing all over the place, and then just sort of falls flat.

“Surprise.” Thank you, Ted. Justin gives them a weak smile and looks at Paul.

“Who are you?”

“Paul. I’m a friend of Brian’s.”

“I’m Justin.” He gives him that little wave he gives to people when he really doesn’t want to wave to them at all.

“It’s nice to meet you, Justin.”

“You, too. Brian, can I talk to you for a minute?” He walks back into the bedroom. I follow him and close the door. “What’s all that?” He leans against the bedroom door, his hand tucked behind him, clutching the doorknob.

“Just a little something I whipped up.” I stand right in front of him, my hands in my pockets.

“With Em, Ted, and that other guy?”

“Yes. They did most of the work actually.”

“Is that what you were doing yesterday?”

“Mostly.”

“What is it?” He’s trying to keep his jaw firm. He’s trying to pretend he’s mad at me. I can respect that.

“A transformation. You’re going to California to work in the movies. I think you should look the part. I think you should look like who you really are.”

“Who I really am?”

“Right.” I reach behind him and dislodge his hand from the doorknob and put his arms around my neck.

“Like what? A guy who’s dropped out of school umpteen times, illustrates comic books with gay story lines, so he can feel like he’s always fucking his boyfriend even when he’s not, and, by some stroke of dumb luck, gets a picture deal? I should look like that?”

I kiss him so he’ll shut up. “No. Who you really are. Like I told you the other night when we were on our excellent adventure---a strong, smart, beautiful man who just happens to be the Assistant Art Director of a major motion picture.” He looks at me like I’m the strangest person he’s ever met.

“I’ll never understand you.”

“It’s a waste of time. Trust me.” I unhook his hands from around my neck. “Now let’s go out there. Paul’s waiting for you.”

“Who’s he anyway? An ex-trick?”

“No.” I don’t fuck everybody I know. Jesus. “One of my tailors.”

“Oh my god, he’s like royalty.”

“See, you do understand me.”


***********************************************

you better work ( cover girl )
work it girl ( give a twirl )
do your thing on the runway


I never really realized how much I like to watch—happens in the backroom all the time—half the thrill's getting your dick sucked, the other half is watching everyone else get it, too. It’s happening now.

I’m lying on the unused sofa in our suite watching Emmett fuss over Justin, watching Ted reorganize everything that’s already been laid out, and watching Paul get everything ready so he can start this transformation I’m bank rolling. God, this is worth every penny. If they stay this focused on what they’re doing, I’m jerking off.

Scratch that. Emmett's looking at me. He fucking knows me too well. He glances in my direction and then turns his attention back to Justin. His words, however, are for my benefit.

“Okay, Justin, honey, what we’ve done here, and, by we, I mean Brian, and the three of us, of course, is try to put together a new wardrobe for you. Something a little more grown up, 'ready for the real world,' 'look out world, here I come,' 'Justin Taylor, this is your life'………..”

“I think he gets it ‘Queer Day.’ Let’s move things along.” Emmett flips me off.

“It’s ‘Clear Day,’ but I’m not going to be mean to you because you’ve never gone through the pain of a broken heart before, so I’m just going to chalk that comment up to your aggravated emotional state.”

“Both of you, cut it out.” Justin gives both of us a warning look. “This is about me. Remember?”

“You’re right. I apologize Justin.” Emmett's such a fucking goody-goody. “Let’s look over these lines that Paul brought.” They walk over to the racks Paul set up. “Okay, now Brian really wanted you to go with the Armani line, naturally; he wants you to look like him. But, the three of us talked about it, and we brought some cut sheets and a lot of samples from the Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabanna lines because, let’s face it, you’re not over thirty.

I don’t feel like jerking off now. “Let me see.” I poke myself into their huddle.

Theodore inserts his logic into the mix. “Em’s right, Brian. No offense, but he’s young, and he’ll be in L.A. Styles there are more casual, more laid back.”

“How would you know?” I shoot him a look.

“I watch E!

Whatever.

“You don’t buy trendy suits. Trends go out of style. You buy classics.” Trust me. I know.

“Brian, I like this, a lot.” Justin's enamored. He’s been ignoring us and flipping through the Dolce & Gabanna line this whole time. “These suits are fucking hot. And look at these!” He points me to these very sleek denim jeans that are hotter than hell, the model wearing this corduroy sport coat with a dress shirt that’s open, no tie, and this fucking fabulous belt.

“Look at that belt.” We say it unison. His face lights up like a Christmas tree when he realizes that I like it, too.

“You’d look unbelievable in something like that. Paul, did you bring samples from this line?” Now, I’m interested. I can jerk off later.

“Absolutely. It’s popular among our younger customers.” Yeah, the ones with money. Paul looked like he wanted to choke before he admitted to me that I wasn’t one of his “younger customers” anymore. I guess it’s time to pass the gauntlet. “And we took the liberty of picking the one for tonight out of that line as well. I hope you’re okay with that.” He pulls the dark navy suit out of the bag it’s hanging in. It’s not what I asked for, but they’re right, it does suit him better.

Justin takes it from Paul, his mouth hanging open. “This is for me, for tonight?” There’s a white D&G shirt behind it, a belt, everything.

“Yeah, Brian gave me your measurements, and we altered one for you for tonight. Why don’t you go try it on, so I can be sure it fits?” Justin takes everything into the bedroom. I stay with Paul, flipping through cut sheets, looking through neck ties, listening to Ted as he points out what he likes from both of the younger lines. His taste has improved dramatically.

“Brian, I think it’s really nice of you to do this for him. Flip back one page. Yeah, that page. That’s the one I like. Those pants with that jacket look really nice. Don’t you think?”

“He deserves it. I like this jacket too, although that fabric might be too heavy out there.”

“Look at sixteen. This ensemble is really hot. You could wear this to work and then straight to a club. He’ll be beating them off in something like---"

Emmett interrupts us to announce Justin’s arrival back into the room as the D&G boy. I watch Justin as he walks over to the mirror, turns around a couple of times, lifts the jacket to check out his ass, and smiles with immense satisfaction. He turns to me. He wants to know.

“Brian, whadda’ya think?”

I’m literally at a loss for words.

Whoa.

“Brian?” There he goes lifting up that jacket again. “Answer me. You don’t like it?’

“I think you should pick something that doesn’t accentuate your ass so well.” He smirks at me. “But I’m just being selfish.”

“Fuck that. I love my ass.” Join the club.

I don’t remember much after that...

I know that there were numerous things tried on and marked, arguments about how pants should fit, when and how you should tuck your shirt in, how unbuttoned is too unbuttoned...

I remember Emmett giving Justin a bunch of D&G underwear, and Ted giving him an Armani wallet. “Something to hold all the money you’ll be making.” It was monogrammed...

I remember helping them pack everything up and get it in the elevator, and Justin being gracious...

I remember Emmett saying that he had six pairs of pants on hold with Paul because he couldn’t decide which ones he wanted, that Ted’s new threads were already bought and paid for, my gift to them for doing this for me...

I remember Justin closing the door to the suite and looking at me in that lusty way he looks at me...

*****************************************

Man it's a hot one
Like seven inches from the midday sun
I hear you whisper & the words melt everyone
But you stay so cool---


a little later …

“Seven o’clock. The name’s Kinney. K-I-N-N-E-Y. Yes, for two. Justin, seven okay?

“Sure.”

“Seven. Thank you.” He hangs the phone up for me. “You could have done that for me, you know.”

“It was so much more fun watching you do it.”

“Please untie me. I want to hold you.”

“That’s the best reason you’ve had so far.” He ponders my request. “But, no.”

“This is ruining these neckties.”

“We’ve got more than twenty in here. Ties can be replaced. Stop arguing with me.” He opens the nightstand drawer and puts condoms and lube on the bed.

And then he’s back on top of me again, running his lips all the way from my wrists, bound to the bed frame, down to my shoulders as I lie on my back, moaning like a French whore underneath him. The fact that I can’t touch him makes everything he’s doing feel a million times more intense. I really want to touch him and he knows it. He’s exploiting it. Little evil bastard.

“Brian, do you want to touch me?” Yes. Fuck yes. I’ve practically been begging.

“Yes.” I give him my best, “I’ll do anything you want. Really, I will.” look. “Please.”

“Find another way.” Ugggggggh.

“While I’m thinking about that, could you at least blow me?” He laughs as he leans down to kiss me.

“No.” He meanders down my torso, sucking on my chest. He’ll suck on that. I throw my head back, looking at the ceiling for inspiration. He knows I’m getting nowhere. And then he’s looking in my eyes again, shaking his head. “Somebody needs to mark this date and time down in history. The first time Brian Kinney hasn’t had a brilliant idea right off the top of his head. I’m going to help you, just because I feel sorry for you.”

Pity. I’ll take it. Damnit.

“Okay, Brian, why did I tie you up in the first place?” Oh boy, twenty questions. I thought he meant he was going to untie me. Wrong.

“Because by day, you’re a magnificent cartoonist, and by night, you’re a little kink mister?” He pinches the shit out my left nipple. Fuck. “Okay, okay. Because I made you mad.” And because you’re a little kink mister.

“Be specific.”

“Because you looked so fucking hot in your new D&G suit and crisp white shirt that was unbuttoned a little too much that I became over-stimulated and tore it off you. Is that specific enough?”

“And then what.”

“I let it hit the floor.”

“That’s bullshit. You threw it on the floor.” It’s true. I did. Justin and his little “details.”

“It was a crime of passion. There were mitigating circumstances.” His tongue is mitigating its way into my mouth right now. God, I want to suck his face off.

“What mitigating circumstances?” I could concentrate a helluva lot better if he would quit asking me these questions and nibbling on my ear at the same time.

“You looked like supercalifragilisticexpialidociously fucking hot in it, and I’ve never seen you,” Oh my god, “Can you please stop sucking right there when I’m trying to talk?”

“No. You’re being punished.”

“And I’ve never seen you look like that.”

“Like what?”

“Like a sharp-dressed man. It made me temporarily insane.” Yeah, I’ll plea that. Fuck, I need a lawyer.

“It’s a double standard. You practically ground me if I let any of your ‘gay apparel’ come in contact with the floor.”

“It’s a first offense. I have no prior record. You should forgive me. Let me hold you and make it up to you.” I'm so fucking pathetic right now. Since when did my dick become my court-appointed attorney? I would never beg like this.

“Well, since you did pay for the suit, I could take that into consideration.” Please...

“I’ll make love to you.” I cannot believe my dick just said that.

“Now you’re just acting desperate.” I am desperate. “Okay, I’ve got it. I’m going to help you allocute.”

What? “Come again?”

“I want you to allocute for your crime, but I’m gonna help you. Then, we can talk about untying you.” How can you say no to somebody when he keeps kissing your balls?

“Can you please stop using big words? They make me excessively horny. They make me want to fuck you on stage at a spelling bee while they give you your trophy.” While you wear your new D&G suit.

“I have a trophy from a spelling bee.” That figures. “Okay, are you ready?”

No. “No.” I lean up to kiss him. “Can’t we fuck first and allocute later, like over dinner?”

“Nope. Now.” He props his elbows on either side of my head. “Okay, repeat after me.” Oh god. I really should be represented by counsel. Good counsel. Not my fucking dick.

“Okay. I, Brian Kinney.”

“Okay. I, Brian Kinney.” He flicks my head. Fine. “I, Brian Kinney.” He better let me in his ass after this.

“do solemnly swear…”

“do solemnly swear…” while I roll my eyes. I feel like I’m in a fort with Mikey again, or boy scouts. Uniforms….

“that I will never…”

“that I will never…”

“bitch at, chastise, or otherwise scold Justin Taylor…”

“bitch at, chastise, or otherwise scold Justin Taylor…” He’s enjoying this way too much.

“for throwing my gay apparel on the floor…”

“for throwing my gay apparel on the floor…” Fa la la la la la la la la.

“when he’s in the throws of unmitigated passion…”

“What did I say about vocabulary words?” He knows I’m hard as granite; he’s stroking me.

“Say it Brian.”

“when he’s in the throws of unmitigated passion…”

“that I, Brian Kinney, have caused in the first place.”

“that I, Brian Kinney, have caused in the first place. Now please untie me. Pleeease.”

“Only if you promise to finish because I’m not done.” Oh my god, he’s not done. Fine.

“Okay.”

“Promise.”

“Cross my heart and hope to die.”

“Don’t say that.” He drives me bonkers.

“Cross my heart and hope to fuck.”

“Much better.”

“Now, untie me.” Ah, finally, freedom. Damn, my arms hurt. “Okay, now I’ve got you. What the fuck else do you want?” I give and give and give and all he does is take, take, take.

“Let’s get under the covers.”

“If we had a flashlight, it would be like a real fort.” He flicks me again. Now he’s on top of me of again, the blood is rushing back to my arms, and he’s in them, so, all in all, I’m much happier. “Carry on.”

“Okay, where was I? that I, Brian Kinney, have caused in the first place Oh yeah. ‘And that I, Brian Kinney….”

Just a minute, I’m kissing you……………….. “And that I, Brian Kinney…” His ass is freezing. I’ll warm it up. Get it ready.

“as an expression of my deep, passionate, and never-ending…”

“as an expression of my deep, passionate, and never-ending…” It warmed up quick.

“love for Justin Taylor…”

“love for Justin Taylor…” I wonder if he can go to California, and I can just keep his ass here?

“will hereby not consider…”

“will hereby not consider…” When did he put a condom on?

“the mind-blowing fuck that I am about to receive from Justin Taylor as a redemption of the coupon I gave him in the shower this morning.” He could not have said that any faster or be smiling any brighter. He kisses me before I can say anything. Never represent yourself when you’re up against the kink mister.

“I admire your subtlety. It’s very sexy. You’ve got some smooth moves.” And manners. His hands are warm, the lube is getting there.

“See what happens when you dress me up?” If this is what happens, I’d have done it a lot sooner. This is actually kind of nice.

“Kiss me while you’re doing that. Haven’t I taught you anything?” His tongue begins to explore my mouth as he begins to explore me, as I realize that I’m in his arms now. My body ignores the conflict stirring in my mind, and yet he doesn’t. He fucks one and makes love to the other.

“You’ve taught me everything.” He means it, but I don’t know when that happened. I don’t when he went from a boy in sneakers with ‘no place special’ to go the night my son was born--to a hot, successful man who has a million places to be, but wants to be with me. I don’t know when I taught him to touch me like this. I don’t know when he learned how to listen to me when I was sure I had nothing to say.

“Take your time and show me.” I don’t know that we’ve ever been face to face when this has happened, or maybe I’m just seeing it for the first time. Maybe my eyes are just fooling me. It’s really dark in here.

“Brian, it’s okay. Let go. Relax.” His eyes look so dark, so sure. “I want you to hold me. Put your arms around my neck.”

“Just go slow.”

“Am I hurting you?”

“No, I want it to last.”

He kisses me, as he makes me take him, his hand trailing down my face, as he forces his way inside. The real resistance, both of us know, has nothing to do with anything physical. The real pleasure, however, gladly stolen from it.

“Don’t worry Brian. I’ll make it last.”

*******************************************


JUSTIN’S POV

Love in an elevator
Livin' it up when I'm goin' down


6:49 pm

Brian looks amazing in his Armani suit. I think I look better. I beat him to the down button.

“Don’t think you’re gonna blow me in this elevator, Sunshine.”

Somehow I feel above that now.

“Don’t flatter yourself. Let’s go.”

“You’re just hungry.” No kidding.

I’ve never stepped off an elevator looking as good as Brian, not to mention smelling as good. He knows exactly where we’re going. I’ve got it written down in my pocket.

“I think it’s that one, Brian.”

“I know which one it is. I’ve eaten there before.”

“When?”

“Work related.” He puts his arm around my shoulders as we walk inside. It’s pretty busy. There are a few straight couples ahead of us. We wait about five minutes. I’m looking around at everything and caught off guard when Brian takes my hand. It’s our turn. “Kinney. Two. Seven o’clock.”

Kinney. For two. That just gave me chills.

“Right this way, sirs.” Brian motions for me to walk in front of him. I do.

Our table is fairly private, I guess. There are maybe five other tables around us that are all filled, but we’re kind of in the back. This place has nice ambiance. There’s a candle on the table, a white tablecloth, and I can see out into the hotel’s huge lobby. We’re seated in the inner ring of the restaurant. Beats looking out over the parking deck.

“So, are you having a good time so far?”

“Huh?”

“I said, 'Are you having a good time so far?'” So far?

“Yeah, I’m having a great time.” I undo my napkin and put it in my lap. “It’s so nice not having to cook for once. Not to mention having a night away from the kids.” I’m straightening the sugar and artificial sweetener packets. I hate it when they’re all mixed up and not facing the same direction.

“Those brats get on my fucking nerves, and I'm so fucking sick of your 'chicken surprise casserole.' If you weren’t such a dynamo in bed, I’d have divorced your ass by now.”

“You signed a pre-nup. You’ll get nothing. You stay for the rim jobs.”

“True. The gardener’s getting really good at those. Have you been spending extra time with him behind my back?”

“A rim job behind your back? Is that a joke?” He broke first. I win. “Seriously, there aren’t going to be anymore surprises, are there?”

“Just one.” He’s leaning in towards me with a very serious look on his face. Oh my god.

“What?”

“I bought you a plane.” Asshole.

“Very funny.” He’s laughing at me.

“I’m not kidding. I did. It’s really nice. It came with these really hot flight attendants in these really nice D&G uniforms, and when they push the little cart around, you can get anything you want.” Someone just brought us water.

“Thank you….So they’re basically fellatio boys. You just stole my idea and put them on a plane.” Busted.

“Well, it’s your plane.”

“When do I get it?”

“Not for a while. It’s on layaway.”

“Having financial problems?”

“Just recently. This guy I’m seeing is a demanding little princess. But what can I say? I’m just a sucker for his hot little ass and his huge coc—“

“Hi, my name’s Audrey. I’ll be your server this evening. Have you had a chance to look over the menu?” Not the one on the table. He’s looked at everything else.

“Hi.” I'm so embarrassed. “We need a few more minutes. Thank you.” I give Brian the evil eye. “Brian, you saw her coming! Fucking don’t do that again.” I kick him under the table—hard.

“Fuck. That hurt!” Good.

“This is why we don’t go out. It’s not because you don’t ‘do dates.’ It’s because you can’t behave yourself. You act like a ten-year-old.”

“It’s my reverse aging process.”

“Read your fucking menu.” He tucks his face behind his menu like my harsh whisper scares him.

When Audrey returns, Brian's on his best behavior. He lets me order first, picks out this really nice red wine—I don’t know shit about wine—and barely hits on the wine steward when he brings it to us to see if it meets with our (yeah right, Brian’s) approval. I don’t think that guy had any idea that when Brian told him, “It’s perfect.” –that he was talking about his ass, not the wine. He better not follow that guy into the bathroom.

“Not everybody likes to be hit on Brian.”

“Sure they do, if you do it right. It’s just flattery. Everyone likes to be flattered.” That’s Brian’s secret weapon—Flattery. Fuck, it works on me, like a charm. “It’ll work on you a little later when I charm you right out of that suit.” See, I was right. Oh, yummy, this is a huge basket of bread. I’m going to need more butter.

“That’s the only reason you bought me this suit, so you could take it off of me.” He can flatter; I can flirt. That’s my secret weapon.

“And put it on you. I had a really good time putting it on you, too.” Our faces are almost touching over our salads. One glass of wine down—a piece.

“That’s your kink. Washing me, dressing me.” He just kissed me. Whoa. “And kissing me when I’ve got a mouthful of salad.”

“You’ve always got a mouthful of something. Sitting across from you when you’re all dressed-up, fantasizing about what I’m going to do to you later when I get you back upstairs.”

“Not to mention your whole necktie thing. That’s your biggest kink.” I’m giving him my evil grin because even though this shirt looks much better without one, I let him put one on me anyway, just so he could get it out of his system. It’s hanging right inside the suite on our doorknob right now. He wouldn’t let me take it off until we were literally walking out the door.

“Don’t tell anybody. That’s our little secret.” You’d think somebody just gave him another corvette, and he’s just sitting there chomping on lettuce and daydreaming about neckties.

“That’s not the table leg Brian.”

“No shit, Sunshine. Finish your salad.”

“Can I get you gentlemen anything else right now?” I never see her coming. “Another bottle of wine perhaps?”

“That would be great. Thank you.” That’s Brian’s decision. I’m not paying for this.

Our dinner arrives, and I'm mostly just grateful to have food in my stomach to absorb the wine. Plus, I’m just really hungry. Fucking all day takes a lot of energy, even when you’re young. God, Brian must be exhausted.

“It doesn’t matter where I take you, you always order a rib-eye and a baked potato.”

“So?” He sounds like my father.

“You would think with all of your upper-class, country club upbringing, you’d prefer something more exotic once in a while.”

“You sound like my father.”

“Thanks a lot.”

“Like he thought I should prefer Dartmouth over art school. Like I belonged there.”

“I’m talking about dinner, not about your education. Don’t be dramatic. Have some more wine. Is your steak cooked to your specifications?” He fills my glass.

“Yes. It’s delicious. I mean, well, he was that way about everything. Food, too. It’s just a touchy subject with me.” This is really good wine.

“I really like this wine.”

“Good. It’s expensive as shit. So, I’m listening.”

“Well, like, on our birthdays, my parents would always tell me and Molly that we could go out to eat—anywhere we wanted—you know, as a family.”

“Right.”

“Well, I always wanted to go to McDonald’s.”

“Because you were a kid, and you wanted a Happy Meal. You were probably a happy little kid who just wanted a happy little meal.”

“Don’t make fun of me.”

“I’m not. I hated McDonald’s. I was terrified of the Hamburgular; it was a whole different thing. Go on.”

“That’s weird. I almost forgot about him. Okay, so anyway, every year, my parents would ask me where I wanted to go—"

“And you’d say McDonald’s.”

“Right. And then we’d pile into the car, and my fucking father would drive us somewhere else. He wouldn’t even say, ‘Justin, we’re going to go to The Blah Blah Steakhouse’ instead of McDonald’s.’ I’d just be in the car, thinking I was going to McDonald’s, and then, all of a sudden, we’d be in the parking lot of another restaurant, and he’d be yelling at me to get out of the car.”

“That’s fucked up.” He refills my glass and nods to Audrey to bring me some more water. “And more butter too, if you don’t mind, for him. Thank you.” Like she cares who’s going to eat the butter.

“No shit. So, after a few years of this, I wised up. Once I pitched a holy fucking fit on the way home, and my mother made my dad go through the drive-thru and get me whatever I wanted—"

“What did you want?”

“A Big Mac, French fries, and a large Coke. I was up all night—peeing and bouncing off the walls.”

“That’s how I spend my birthdays.”

“Not for the same reasons.”

“True.”

“And then I just started refusing to go, and I would stay home on my birthdays and draw, while my family went out to eat.”

“That’s fucking sad, Justin.”

“I know. It really is.” It feels sadder than it usually does. Maybe I’m a little drunk. “Sometimes my mom would go out after they got back, and my dad was committed to his beer and sports, and get me whatever I wanted and bring it back. It just didn’t feel the same, though, you know. She finally quit; I think she could tell I didn’t really want it anymore.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t celebrate your birthday. I didn’t know.”

Shit. “That’s not why I told you that Brian.”

“I know. Your father’s a fucking shit head douche bag.” He might be a little drunk too.

“So was yours.”

“True, but in a different way. Are you going to eat your asparagus?”

“Yes, but you can have some if you want.” He fucking loves asparagus.

“Your father wasn’t cruel to your mother—at least not in front of you.” He just took half of my asparagus. I said some.

“No, he wasn’t. Not that I saw. But she wasn’t always happy. I knew that.” I hope he’s enjoying them. We pause as Audrey returns with water, butter, and another basket of bread. Brian will talk about cock in front of anyone, but not about his father. “What did he do to your mother?” He never talks to me about this stuff. I watch him drain a full glass of wine, refill his glass, and top mine off.

“The details aren’t important anymore. I think the worst thing was being the only boy in a house where the rest of your family's being terrorized and not being able to do anything about it.” If you didn’t know Brian, you’d think that there was no emotion on his face right now, but I see it. I can feel it. He looks away.

“He was terrorizing all of you.” He doesn’t respond to that. “But your sister always seemed like she had a good relationship with him, sort of.”

“That’s not uncommon.”

“And when he died—" He looks at me again.

“Somebody had to take his place. There’s a villain in every family Justin, just like a comic book. And if there isn’t one, people create one. Never underestimate the lengths that someone will go to mold you into who they need you to be—even people who think they love you, even your family.”

“You’re nothing like your father.” I put my fork down. Even if they think you are or think that they want you to be.

“You didn’t know him. I’m more like him than you’ll ever know.”

“I’ll never believe that, not in a million years.” He’s looking at me differently now.

“I hope I never fuck up and show you. Here, finish this.” He empties our second bottle of wine into my glass.

“You can have the rest of my asparagus. I’m going to have dessert.”

“Okay.” He eats them off of my plate. “That’s not the table leg, Justin.”

“I know.”

For a second, I thought the candle on our table was going to go out. Audrey comes back a few minutes later to offer us dessert. Brian tells her to “bring him one of everything chocolate.”

“I’ll be back with the dessert menu in a second sir.” She smiles at me, not Brian, and walks away.

“I think Ashley likes you.”

“Her name is Audrey, you moron. She’s wearing a name tag.”

“I think Audrey has a crush on you. Do you care if I step outside and smoke?” I’d go with him, but I think he wants to be by himself for a few minutes.

“I don’t mind. It’ll give me some private time with Ashley.”

He squeezes my shoulder after he stands up, and I watch him walk through the lobby and out the side door. Audrey returns with my dessert menu and clears everything else off of the table. I can see Brian outside, and I watch him for a few seconds, remembering when I would’ve stared at him the entire time he was out there, so afraid that I was going to miss something—like everything I ever got from him was either something I stole or something he didn’t want me to have. I don’t feel like that anymore.

I open the dessert menu and try to figure out what I want, glancing up at the door again after I decide. He’s gone. The candle on our table finally goes out. I don’t have anything on me to re-light it. I'm out of water, so I chew the ice.

I jump in my chair when I feel his ice cold fingers on my neck, his cold lips on my ear. “Did you have a good time with Ashley?”

“You scared the shit out of me.” He laughs at me, and then immediately composes himself as he sits down.

“Don’t look now, but here comes your girlfriend.”

“Did you decide what you’d like?” Brian's making faces at me and mouthing: She likes you.

“I think I want this chocolate peanut butter cheesecake. Is it good?” That's definitely not the table leg.

“Oh, it’s very good sir. I think you’ll really like it.” She turns to Brian. “Would you like anything for dessert sir?” I grab his foot under the table and threaten to poke him with my fork.

“Oh, I’m having him.” He takes the dessert menu from me, ever so politely, and hands it to her. “To go.”

Chapter 12-Privilege-Justin's POV by plumsuede

JUSTIN’S POV

When I get you all alone
I’m gonna take off all your clothes
Ain’t nobody gonna interrupt my game


I don’t think I’ve done this since I was eight or nine—walk along the edge of a fountain. It’s a lot more fun when you’re drunk. I mean tipsy. I’m not really drunk. I’m tipsy. And this fountain in the middle of the lobby is gargantuan. And loud. Loud and gargantuan. Gargantuan. G-A-R-G-A-N-T-U-A-N. Gargantuan.

“Don’t fall.” He sneaks up behind me. It’s about time he got over here. Took him forever to pay the check.

“You scared me. You just made me throw my last quarter in there.”

“And a condom.”

“Whoops.” Shit.

“What did you wish for?” You don’t wish on a condom. Idiot.

“I’m not going to tell you.” When I stand on the edge like this, I’m almost as tall as Brian. He reaches into his pocket, pulls out a bunch of change and throws all of it into the fountain all at once.

“Okay, I’ll go first. I’ll tell you what my wish was.”

“That was a pretty expensive wish.” That was at least three dollars in change, maybe more.

“I wished for peace.” Bullshit.

“World peace?”

“A piece of ass. And it was very expensive…..it was yours.” Flattery. I have the stupidest grin on my face. It’s making him sooooo happy. “So now, it’s your turn. Tell me what you wished for.”

“I told you ‘no.’”

“Okay. Then I’m going to guess.” His left foot joins my feet on the edge of the fountain as he pulls me tightly against him. He’s hard, and he wants me to know it. I push back a little. I can’t help myself. I have no self-control when he does that. His fingers are on the bridge of his nose. “Okay, I’ve got to think…….what would you wish for?”

I lay my head back against his shoulder, my hands shoved in my pockets. Droplets of water sprinkle all over my face. Feels tingly.

“Hurry up.”

“Why?”

“Because everybody in this lobby is staring at us. You’re embarrassing me.”

“Fuck them.” He clutches me tighter, pushes against me. I don’t even think he thinks about it. He just does it. “Okay, I’ve got it. You wished that I would stop embarrassing you in front of all these god-fearing Christian folk.”

Like it would matter. Like he’d stop. Plus, I can’t lie.

“No.”

“Shit. Okay, okay, let me think.” He taps his foot on the side of the fountain next to my feet. There are water droplets all over our shoes, my brand new shoes. I love my shoes. “Can I have a hint?”

“It’ll cost you.”

“I have spent a fucking fortune on you in the last few hours. I’ve earned a free hint.” True.

“Okay, you’re right. One hint.” His face is right next to mine on my shoulder.

“Go on.”

“It’s something I want from you.” Now I’m hard.

He’s licking his lips. I can hear it in my ear. That’s all I can hear now, rushing water and him, breathing in my ear. “Hmmmmmm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmm.” I wish he would quit that. “Let me see.” He’s drumming his fingers on my stomach. “Is it something I have to buy?”

“I told you--one hint.”

“We’re going to be standing here for a loooooooooooong time.”

“No, it’s not something you buy.” I'm so easy when I’m tipsy.

“Okay. I’m going to figure this out.” He just unbuttoned my shirt and slid his hand inside it. Thank god my jacket’s buttoned.

“You won’t guess it.” He’ll run out of patience first. He has no patience when he’s horny.

“Okay, how ‘bout this? How about we compromise?” He turns me around so that I’m facing him, his arms around me, outside my jacket. We’re almost eye to eye. I fling my arms around his neck.

“How about if I take you upstairs…and get you out of your very… beautiful… clothes… that you look so very… beautiful… in…and I let you tell me… every little thing that you want… while you sit on my very hard la-p?”

Who could turn down an offer like that?

I moan into his kiss, although I doubt he can hear me over the water. I can’t feel my knees when he talks to me like this. If I fall into this fountain, he’s going with me.

He lifts my chin. “I can’t kiss you when you put your head down.”

“You’re embarrassing me again.” I can feel it which means everybody can see it.

“I know. You’re blushing.” His tongue is in my ear. “I must have gotten something right.”

“You weren’t even close.” My head is on his shoulder. This way I don’t have to look at him.

“You don’t want to go upstairs and sit on my lap?” That’s a hard question to answer. It’s a trick question, a typical Kinney move, accompanied by excessive groping.

“Yes…”

“But…” He will stand here all night and fondle me until I answer him.

“That’s not all I want.”

He lifts me off the fountain and onto the floor, resuming his position of power. He knows what I mean, and I know he knows. His voice gets a little more seductive as he stands here with his arms around me, his forehead on mine. I have to look at him now. His eyes are like magnets.

“I know what you want.” I’m glad he’s holding me up. Nothing else is. “You told me this morning right before the pancakes and the sausage.” He can tell that he got it right, that I’m happy. “See I listen. I didn’t forget.”

“I know. You just prefer me in a debilitating state of arousal.” He grins at me, eyebrow and all.

“I’d prefer you in the state of Pennsylvania.”

Me too. “Can we not talk about that right now?” He feels the change in my body. “Can we just go upstairs?” I feel it in his.

His voice softens. “Yeah.”

We leave the roaring water behind.
****************************************

************
Is love so fragile and the heart so hollow
shatter with words impossible to follow


“I’ll go upstairs and get them for you if you want.”

“No, it’s fine. Just give me yours.” I don’t mind Brian’s cigarettes once in a while. “I need your lighter, too.”

“Do you want me to come with you? I’ll come with you.”

“No. I’m fine. I’m just going out that door.” It’s just the parking lot. Jesus.

“Then I’m going up front to get my car key. I’ll meet you out there in a second.”

“Fine.” Stop hovering.

I need to smoke before we go upstairs. It’s pretty fucking cold out here. Sobers you up. I’m surprised I’m the only one out here; there are a shit load of people in this hotel tonight. It’s not even that late. After a few puffs, I don’t even need this cigarette as badly as I thought I did. I’ll just go find him.

Or not.

I can’t get back in. Door’s locked. Both of them.

Shit.

And there’s no one in this hallway. Great. Now I have to walk all the way around this entire place to the front door.

The front lobby is busy, but no sign of Brian. He’s not at the fountain. He’ll find me. I’ll just go back the way we were going. This place is one big circle. There are at least five weddings receptions going on here tonight, some business function, and I think a bachelorette party. Some door just swung open, and I swear I saw strippers in there. I wonder if the bible people saw that.

It’s really odd to see how different people’s receptions are. Some are so elegant and others are so tacky—to each their own, I guess. I stop outside the most elegant one to wait for Brian. He should be able to see me here. It’s really nice—formal, black tie, pretty good band. Some little girl just slid across the floor in her black shoes and fell on her ass. She’s screaming. Kind of late for a kid that young to be at reception like this. There’s this really beautiful portrait of the bride just inside the doorway. I can almost read the artist’s name from where I am. I don’t want to make it obvious that I’m lurking outside their party. Some woman is setting up all kinds of stuff on this table by the door. Party favors. I didn’t know they gave out party favors at a wedding. Ha. I can just imagine what kind of favors we’d give out if we got married. “Milk chocolate dicks on a stick. They come in your mouth—not in your han—"

“Don’t disappear on me like that.” I knew he’d find me.

“I got locked out.”

“No shit. So did I. I went out there to meet you and couldn’t get back in. That bitch at the front desk--”

“What’d you go and do that for? They just work here.” He knows I can’t stand it when he goes off on people in the service industry. I mean, hello, I am one. Was one.

“Because they should put a fucking sign up if those doors are going to automatically lock at a certain time.” He was really worried about me. He just took it out on her.

“Well, you shouldn’t yell at someone who has no control over that. That’s shitty, Brian.” We were separated for like what? Seven? Eight minutes?

“Why are you standing here anyway? Let’s go.” He pulls my arm. I pull back.

“I’m just watching this wedding reception. It’s really classy. Plus, there’s this really beautiful portrait right there, and I’m trying to see who painted it. I just don’t want to appear obvious.” He’s standing behind me with his hand on my shoulder now, calming down.

“I’ll go look.”

No. I’m just waiting a second ‘til that woman finishes putting out all of those party favors. She’s almost done with those little chocolate things.”

“What the fuck are they?”

“How should I know? Don’t talk so loud.” His arms are wrapped around my shoulders now, but not like at the fountain, just in a nice way. Thank god.

“Their names are Casey and Kelly? Which one’s which?”

“Kelly’s the bride, I think. Was that what we looked like when we danced?” My hands are hanging off of his arms. I like it when he holds me like this.

“Casey’s a dog’s name. Like what? What do you mean?”

“Like that. The way those people are dancing—all formal and everything.” Sometimes he’s dense.

“No, we didn’t look like robots with bad hair and no fashion sense.”

“Don’t be a smart ass.”

“I’m being serious. We didn’t look like that. Plus, we had the whole floor to ourselves.”

“What did we look like?”

I guess he’s thinking about it.

“We looked like two people fucking with their clothes on.”

“Brian.”

“We did. We moved like we were……making love…..except for the part where I spun you around and around. You were quite the tiny dancer.”

I tilt my head back, looking up at him. “Yeah, we don’t do that spinning thing when we fuck anymore.”

“Yeah, not since you hit the wall that time. That kind of took the fun out of it.” He laughs, resting his chin back on the top of my head.

“Why did we have the floor to ourselves? No one else wanted to dance with us?” I know why, logically, I guess. There are parts of the story that I feel like I know, but sometimes I just like his version better.

“No, because they were spellbound. They couldn’t take their eyes off of us. They couldn’t have moved if they wanted to.” He kisses the top of my head. “She’s done. Go look.” He lets go of me.

I only have to take about two steps inside to peek at the painting.

It only took one to have the door slammed shut in my face by Party Bitch.

“Excuse me. This is a private affair for invited guests.”

I don’t think anyone has ever looked at us with more disgust—at least, not anyone that I can remember.

“Fucking bitch!” As loud as he said that, she probably heard it.

“Forget it, Brian. Let’s go upstairs.”
**************************
the Cuervo Gold
the fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing


His arm is tight around me as we walk away. I lean against him as we leave to go upstairs, all that wine making me a little tired. He stops in front of a space adjacent to one of many receptions going on here tonight and opens the door for me. “Go on in.”

“Why?”

“Just go in.”

“Are there people in here? Is someone going to jump out at me and yell ‘SURPRISE!’” Seriously, I’ve had enough surprises.

“No. It’s empty. Go.” He pushes me inside. It’s a huge room, like a ballroom, I guess, with a lot of tables and chairs pushed up against the walls. There’s a piano toward the front, and a little stage in the back. He finds the dimmer switch and brings up the lights just a little so it’s not pitch black.

“Why are we in here?” Everything echoes in here.

“Why are you whispering? Listen.” You can hear the band. He walks over to the far side of the room closest to the wall. The band is playing right on the other side. “Come here.” I walk over to where he’s standing. He takes me in his arms. “I’ve been trying to get you in here for a good thirty minutes.”

“You have?”

“Yeah.” He smiles this very small smile at me. “But you wanted to wish for things, get locked out, look at a painting, drive me up a wall…your usual routine.” He kisses me, softly, sweetly.

“You wanted to fuck in here?” I have this image in my head of him running around scoping out places for us to fuck besides our room. He kind of laughs at me and shakes his head.

“No.” His hand is on the back of my head. I lay my head against his chest.

I don’t recognize this song, and I’m about to ask him what it is when I realize that it doesn’t even matter. We have the floor to ourselves.

Somehow I know we always will.

“I don’t think my feet work like this anymore.”

“Don’t think about your feet, Justin.” I close my eyes, his jacket, his heartbeat against my face. Beats and measures. Stops and starts.

Sway.

“Brian?” I don’t think I’m moving much at all. I can’t tell.

“Hmm?” His lips are in my hair.

“It’s not working. If I stop thinking about my feet, I start thinking about everything else.”

“Then just think about mine.” The floor seems to shift underneath our feet, doing the work for us, so that we can stand still. He feels familiar, like what you’ve always wanted, and strong. Smells like the promise of something you knew you had to have.

“Brian, is this what it was like?” He takes his time with my question, the song playing out, his arms beginning to loosen. I feel his warm breath in my face.

He answers me before he kisses me. “Yeah. This is exactly what it was like.”

“Then this is how I’ll always remember it.”
**************************
don’t stand so close to me

“It was Hey Nineteen."

“What was hey nineteen?” There are about fourteen hundred people in this elevator.

“The song we were dancing to. It was Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan. I just figured it out. That would’ve bugged the shit out of me all night.” He should have listened to me and waited for the next one, but instead he bolted for this one, along with everyone else in the entire hotel.

“I didn’t know what it was. Didn’t really matter.” I want to tell him that I didn’t even need any music--at all--but later, not in front of this crowd—grandmothers, a crying baby, a few preachers, and a drunk girl with the hiccups. Most of them empty out by the fourteenth floor anyway, where we make our switch into the “rich people’s elevator.” That’s what I call it now—to myself. Sometimes it’s kind of crazy when you switch because of the timing. If all of the lower elevators arrive at the same time, you end up with this maze of people trying to figure out which way to go—kind of like a subway system—only heated. Everyone ends up in the right place; it’s like a mad game of musical chairs for about fifteen seconds.

That’s exactly what it is right now. I’m still holding his hand as we weave our way to the one we want. His choice again. Our hands disconnect as I step forward to press ‘28’ and look behind me out of courtesy to see if anyone else needs another floor.

Fuck that.

Party Bitch.

Smooth move Brian. Next time, I pick the elevator. But I’m dressed like a gentleman, so I’ll act like one. Plus, she’s outnumbered. It’s only us and her. Too bad Party Bitch.

“What floor?” I give her my strained smile. Brian has just clued in.

“26.” She clutches her purse. Like I want your purse bitch. I press her button and go back and stand beside Brian on the other side of the elevator. She’s facing the front. We’re clear on the other side. Brian’s leaning against the back wall facing forward; I’m leaning against the side wall facing her, but I’m not staring at her. I’m looking at Brian.

He’s staring at her, with his polite contempt, then looking at me. We’ve got a long way to go with Party Bitch, only just reaching sixteen now.

I watch him, watch her, not watching us. Her eyes are super-glued to the numbers lighting up one by one. I’m so busy watching her that I jump just a little when Brian leans over and kisses me. He doesn’t do it in his usual way. It’s surprisingly chaste--kind of like the way I kiss my mother. I think he was going for a sound effect. She puts her purse on her shoulder and smoothes her dress with her hands a couple of times. Eighteen.

Brian leans back against the wall, a very thoughtful look on his face, and then asks me in all seriousness, “You douched, right?”

She’s getting off at twenty now.

Change of plans, I guess. I can’t say anything because I’ll either kill him or bust out laughing. So, instead, I just look straight ahead and hold up two fingers. He nods.

“Well, it’s a good thing because the last guy they sent me didn’t, and I refused to pay him.” She’ll probably report us to hotel management. She doesn’t even wait for the doors to open all the way; she just worms her way out. “Have a nice evening.”

I'm always proud of him for the strangest reasons. “You’re unbelievable, Brian.”

“It’s true. I am. Oh.” He reaches into his pocket as the elevator starts moving again. “Here’s the name of that artist.” He hands me a slip of paper.

“When did you get this?”

“When you thought I was taking a leak.” He grins at me. “That bitch hates my fucking guts.” He laughs. “Here, I stole one of these too.” He hands me a chocolate wedding-thing on a stick. “They suck. I already ate mine.” I unwrap my stolen Party Bitch wedding favor.

“Oh my god, they do suck. This is the worst chocolate I’ve ever tasted.” I make a horrible face. We’re definitely not having this crap at our never-wedding. Emmett’s stuff is a million times better than this.

“Don’t make that ugly face. It clashes with your ensemble. I’m still picturing you as my fairy princess.” He taps on his watch. “And it’s not midnight. I get you at least until midnight.”

“Oh, I’d say, you’re paid up for a good twenty-four hours, at least, if not more.”

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

He fucked me in the elevator.

Chapter 13-Intimacy-Brian's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

Tonight you're mine completely

“I need you to hop down from there for a minute.” His eyes are bloodshot. He loves this bathroom counter.

“Why?” He’s flicking his ashes in the sink. This is a non-smoking suite. “I’m not putting this cigarette out.”

“I didn’t ask you to. Hop down for a minute.” He's figured out how to dim the lights in here. I didn’t even know you could do that.

“Why?”

“Because I need to check your panties.” He slaps my hand when I reach for his pants, but at least he’s laughing now. And smiling. Finally, a smile.

“What the fuck? Cut that out.” Don’t wipe your nose on the sleeve of that jacket. That’s an eight hundred dollar Kleenex.

“I’m pretty sure the condom’s in the elevator…….or your ass. I’m hoping for the latter.” He’s not going to budge. He’s been sitting on this counter, leaning against the mirror, one knee up, one knee down, smoking and crying for ten minutes. God, he’s pretty. Ah, laughing and crying at the same time now. Even prettier.

“I told you I didn’t want any more surprises.” I’m taking off his shoes. “What are you doing?”

“Taking off your shoes. If I swear on every single bible in this hotel right now that I completely forgot about it, will you believe me? Because I swear to you, I forgot.” And his socks, might as well. “This is why I don’t do romance. I’m not very good at it.” Zero for two now if you want to get technical about it. “I’m much better at seduction.”

The cigarette’s in the sink now. He’s looking at me with red-blue eyes. “Well, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Guess we know what mine is.” He looks up at me as I stand between his legs, my arms around him again, finally.

“Too much red wine?” He laughs at me as he drains the vodka tonic I made for him, sitting the glass back down on the counter beside him.

“Yeah.” It comes out softly, quietly. “Thanks for putting it away, Brian. I love it, just not tonight.” He slides his right hand around my neck, still cold from being around the glass, and pulls me down a little. His kiss tastes like everything.

There’s only one closet in this suite that I could get his brand new luggage to fit in. I guess the staff put it in here while we were having dinner. I completely forgot about it. It was being monogrammed. It’s just like mine, only a few years newer. There’s no way in hell he was going to his father’s house to get his luggage. If I‘d kept it dark in here, hadn’t wanted to see his face while I was kissing it, he might never have seen it. If the windows in this suite opened, I’d throw it out in the fucking street right now.

The kiss has ended.

“This vodka tonic you made me is for shit.” He’s right. I smile at him.

“Yeah, I watered it down. You’ve had enough to drink.” He drains it and sits it down, the ice remains. “I’d prefer to have you awake during the seduction.” He watches my face as I start taking off his jacket. “You have no idea how fucking hot you looked tonight, how beautiful you looked. And it wasn’t the clothes, it was you.” He looks at me like he doesn’t believe me. That’s okay. I’ve got all night to convince him.

“I’m a mess. I haven’t cried that hard since Vic died………..or since I found out you had--” He shakes his head, regretting his words. “Shit.” I watch him turn, surveying his blotched face in the mirror.

“I think you look very pretty when you cry.” He busts out laughing at me.

“Would you shut up?”

“No. I will not shut up. Stop looking at yourself in the mirror. Turn around.” I pull him off the counter and distract him with random conversation. “Time to get undressed, Cinderella.” I undo his belt, unbutton, and unzip his pants.

“Before my beautiful clothes turn into peasant-ware?”

“Something like that. This is my kingdom after all. No pants in my kingdom.” He steps out of his pants and his underwear.

“You’re wearing pants.”

“That’s what I want you to think. Emperor’s New Clothes and all.” He moves to unbutton his shirt. I shake my head. “That stays on. Waist down only. Formal edict from the royal palace.” He laughs a little, smiles a lot. “Have a seat.” I motion for him to get back on the counter. He jumps back up.

“It’s cold.” I know. I lift his shirt as he wraps his legs around me, peeking at what I’ve been dying to see. His gorgeous ass splayed on this counter, mostly hidden by this crisp white shirt. Fuck, I’m hard. I run my hand down the small of his back and over as much of his ass as I can get to.

“That's so goddamn beautiful.” He turns to look over his shoulder and watches me watching him in the mirror, gives me that devilish grin. God. I break the stare and bring my face back to his, my arms around him again. “So aside from the last twenty minutes, did you have a good time today?” I can feel him relax in my arms.

“Yeah, it was so much fun. Thank you…for all of this. I’ve never felt so spoiled or so special. This was probably the best day, best night of my life.” His face lights up with a bright smile. He doesn’t remember the last time he said that, that I didn’t protect him then. I close my eyes for a minute and rest my face in his hair. “But, Brian, you don’t have to spend between five and ten thousand dollars just to get me to go out with you.”

Very funny. “I know that.” He’s looking at me now, a flirty smile on his face. Some grin on mine that he recognizes.

“No, you don’t.” Okay, no, I don’t. I’m distracting myself, running my fingers up and down the necktie hanging loosely around his neck, inside his collar. He pulls it from my fingers.

“This is actually one of yours.” At least tonight I kept him safe.

“You can have it. It looks better on you.” Feels better on you. Practically kept him hidden away.

“I’ll wear it when we have phone sex. Would you like that?” That just became an amendment to the constitution.

“I’ll get you three or four extra ones.” Tomorrow. He laughs, picking up his drink and sucking ice into his mouth. He’s been chewing a lot of ice lately.

“You don haffa keep buying me things.” He swallows. “But you can if you want.” I knew that was coming. His smug little smile. Saw that coming, too.

“I’m just making sure that my revolving line of credit at the 'Bank of Your Sweet Little Ass' stays open.” Permanently. He puts down his drink, studying me.

“Really? Open and exclusive?” I should think before I speak. I’m no good at this. Not prepared. My face looks way too serious when I answer him.

“Preferably.” I can see the wheels turning in his head, see the ones in mine grinding to a halt. I contemplate going into the outer room and making two very strong vodka tonics, but I don’t. I don’t walk away.

“It’s okay with me. If that’s what you want.” That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. “But I want you to tell me what you want.” Spoke to soon. “And why.” Shit. He can tell by looking at me that I would rather wear khakis from The Gap than have this conversation, but he doesn’t care.

“What was the question again?” Seriously, I can’t remember. Have the court reporter read from the transcript. He looks like he feels sorry for me. Like I fucking want that.

His hand's under my chin. “Brian, quit looking in the mirror and look at me. It’s no big deal.” No big deal. He’s had years to figure this out. It just hit me this afternoon. “Listen to me. There’s nothing we haven’t done together. Nothing you’re gonna say to me is going to freak me out. So whatever it is, just say it.”

Fuck. My thoughts roll around in my head. He waits patiently, toying with his shirt. I can hear the elevator in the hallway, just like at the loft. “Something you said today upset me.” I feel like I should get a prize or something. It was really hard for me to say that. He looks confused.

“I never saw you look upset today. What did I say?” His face is concerned, wondering. “Was it that thing about my father? That you sound like my father? Because I didn’t mean—"

“No.” I shake my head. “No. It was when you walked into the room when the guys got here and made that comment that everyone has seen you undressed in the backroom a million times.” He’s doing that thing he does with his mouth when he’s concentrating, drawing.

“Well, it’s true.” I know. He waits. He’s really good at waiting. “Go on.” He won’t let me off the hook here. Fuck it. No apologies, no regrets, right? What asshole came up with that bullshit?

“The look on your face when you said that made me feel like shit.” I look down, forgetting for a moment that he doesn’t have any pants on, which is kind of ironic to me because that is sort of the point of what I’m trying to say. I end up staring at the small triangle of countertop I can see between his legs.

“Brian? I made you feel like shit?” I’m not making any sense. I’m upsetting him. His whole day will go straight to hell.

I look back at him again, his blue eyes waiting for me. He has mastered the art of patient persistence. “It made me feel like you didn’t expect anything from me anymore, or that you never have, anything other than disappointment.” His eyes narrow, his hands resting on my upper arms. “That fucking in the backroom or anywhere else is just the order of the day because that’s all I want, all I have to give you.” He looks like he wants to say something, but he doesn’t. “It felt--you looked like you didn’t know—don’t know—that I love you. That you don’t think I’m capable of it.” In ways that you can’t. “Maybe I’m not. Maybe I’m fooling myself." He looks surprised, taken aback at first and then he looks down for a while. I can’t see his face. His hands never let go of me. When he looks back up, he looks like himself again, sort of.

“Brian, I know that you love me.” I want to believe him. “I’m not always sure that you know it. Maybe that’s what all this was, what today was about? Proving it to me? To your-" I prefer to think of it as high dollar foreplay.

“Justin, I don’t want anyone else seeing you….or touching you…. like that anymore.” His eyes are wide open. I try to look away from them, but the mirror seems to have vanished. There’s no where else to look. “You’re mine.” Fuck. This is coming out of nowhere or going nowhere or going to hell or something. It’s wrong, fucking selfish, to say this now, when he’s leaving. He needs to make his own way in the world, doesn’t need me holding him back. He’s laughing at me softly now, wiping away unclaimed tears that are falling between us.

“Brian, do you know how I know that you love me?” I shake my head. I have no fucking clue. “Because I’ve never seen you look so miserable.” He makes me smile even though I don’t want to. Little shit.

“You’re familiar with that condition, huh?”

“Intimately. Started about four years ago. Hasn’t let up since. I was young, naive. Went home with this guy, let him fuck me. It was my first time too.”

“Your first time? Really? How was it?”

“God, it was amazing. Absolutely amazing.” He’s unraveling my tie now, his legs pulling me against him. “When I close my eyes and think about it, I can still feel him inside me.” He leaves my tie hanging inside my collar, starts unbuttoning my shirt. “I never thought my first time would be like that. I never thought anything with anyone would ever feel like that.” I stop his unbuttoning fingers, pull his face to mine.

His lips feel cold when I kiss them. I take my time. My tongue tracing his lips slowly, one and then other, before venturing inside, everything about him seeming delicate all of sudden. Breakable. His mouth gradually warms to mine as I move inside it, my tongue feeling everything like it’s new again. I tease his tongue with mine, inviting him into my mouth very slowly, and when he finally arrives, he brings a sound with him that makes me grab him tightly for fear that he might fall. I don’t want to lose him. Not now. Not in the middle of this. The ferocity intensifies, his legs pulling me in, his hips pushing against me. His warm hand presses against my stomach and smooths its way up my chest. I stop kissing him for a minute and swallow, a warm wetness between my legs.

“Do that again.” God, I love that. That right there. The way he runs his hand up my chest and looks at me, like I’m everything to him. Every time he touches me like that I want to fuck the absolute shit out of him.

“Brian, let me down.” He ruts against me, his hands cradling the back of my head as we kiss, his feet trying to reach the floor. He can’t. He’s on this counter until I decide otherwise. I still him, my hands on his hips.

“This thing you caught from this guy, it’s contagious?”

“Extremely.” He tugs at my belt. I push his hand away. I need this information. “But you can have it for years before you see any symptoms.”

“I see.” I release his hips, and he immediately takes off my shirt. When he’s done, I catch his hands before he does anything else and put them around my neck. “But yours came on right away?”

“I was high risk I guess--- being so young, and beautiful, and everything.” And virginal.

“And modest.” And brave.

“That too.”

“Was there anything over this four year span of time that alleviated any of your discomfort?”

“There was one thing.” He presses himself against me. “Are you listening? Because I’m only gonna say this once.”

“I’m listening.” He licks my ear.

“This man that I love, when I’m with him, it’s like time just stands still. I forget everything I’ve ever known. I just melt in his arms. And then as soon as he touches me or kisses me, he pulls every bit of desire up and out of me like it was never even mine to begin with.” This is some guy. “But, the thing is, if he doesn’t take me to bed and fuck me senseless this very second, he will sleep on the couch tonight and his account at 'The Bank of My Sweet Little Ass' will be closed….forever.”

Women.

10:06 pm
**************
10:07 pm

You give your love so sweetly

The fuck it will. I own that bank.

He bounces a little when I throw him on the bed. Bounces and laughes. He gets back up on his knees to relieve me of my pants. All of a sudden, they’ve become this terrible burden. His nimble fingers skim down my chest and begin to unbelt, unbutton, and unzip. I hear the swish of my belt tearing through the belt loops, feel the pinch and burn on my skin, a feeling we normally and mutually reserve for him. My pants are about to explode. He says something really sexy and endearing into my ear, but I have no clue what it is. It’s a good thing he has his own money now because he just bought a shit load of vowels.

“I don’t know what the fuck you just said to me, but you’re making me crazy.”

He pulls my lips off of his neck for a second, his warm palms surrounding my face. “Come here.” He kisses me with a force that is almost over-powering and turns my head to the side so he can whisper it into my ear again. I hear him this time. I never get tired of hearing that, never get tired of him whispering erotic requests in my ear. I find it almost unbearably sweet, especially when he reads my mind.

“Is this what happens when I take you out?” He laughs and raises his eyebrows at me. I’m a fucking idiot. A total fucking idiot. There are so many places on his body that my mouth wants to be that I can’t make a choice right now. I put off that decision for a moment and push him back on the bed--hard. Lying between his legs is so addictive, cozy, and presumptuous all at the same time. I fucking love that. “Tell me what you want, Mr. Sunshine.”

“I just told you. I’m not telling you again.” He’s giggling, flirting with me. He’s actually told me three times today, but who’s counting?

“Okay, that’s fine with me, if you don’t want it.” He pokes my ass with his foot.

“Uh.”

“I don’t speak that language.” I tease him as I roll off of him and sit up against the wall. I pat my leg a couple of times. “Get over here.”

“No.” I roll my eyes.

“Yes.” He’s against my leg, running his hand up my inner thigh. I stroke the back of his head. “Come on. Let’s go.”

“No, I don’t want to.”

I stop his hand, leaning down to where his face is, my fingers still running through his hair. “The longer you wait, the worse it’ll be. Get up and get across my lap, Justin, or I’ll spank you right where you are.” He doesn’t want that. The third time’s always the charm. I pull the covers off of him as he crawls into my lap, so warm and sweet. I kiss him as he knwwla there straddling me in his new white shirt that’s just a little too long on him and my necktie, nothing else. I rub his ass, palm his cock. He’s wet. He always is before we do this. “That’s enough. I want you to lie down.” I stop the kissing. It’s a distraction.

I love to watch him lie across my lap, positioning himself for me. He knows what I like, what I expect, but it’s mutual. Everything we do is mutual. Our safe word is hidden somewhere collecting dust in a vault in the Swiss Alps. Justin needs a safe word like I need Viagra. His knees are always on my right side, his face always facing me, his legs always together. And tonight, due to our little fashion show, we have the added bonus of this beautiful white shirt. I pull it down as far as it will go, covering up as much as I can. All things are revealed in time. My hand moves down the side of his face. He watches me.

“You’re beautiful, Justin.” He sucks my fingers into his mouth. He knows I like that. I know he’s ready. “Do you like your new clothes?” I run my other hand over his back, down his shirt-covered ass, the back of his legs.

“I love them.”

He could care less about them right now. His body tenses. He holds himself still, watching me closely as I admire his body, praise his obedience, touch his muscular legs, strong thighs, round bottom. I look at his eyes, fixed on mine, as my hand curves over his ass and down the back of his legs. He licks his lips, tries not to move. My fingers trace small circles outside his asshole. I reach for his hand, our fingers intertwining.

“Are you thinking about when I fuck you like this?” I move my hand down to his upper thigh, my grip firm.

“Yes.”

“Or when I put you across my lap?”

“Yes.”

“Well?” He lets go of my hand and looks away. That’s what I thought. “I know the answer. Don’t look away from me.” He looks back at me, irked. “Don’t be mad at me, Sunshine. Although, you look very hot when you pout.” His spanking started sometime in the middle of that exchange. He’s mad at himself for missing the cue, happy that at least that part’s over with. This is the part he’ll admit to loving. The heat, the sound, the anticipation, or better yet, the lack thereof. “This shirt looks perfect on you.” I play with his hair, caress his face as I spank him over his shirt. He fidgets, the sensation too dull for him. He pushes my hand away. “Still not happy?”

“No.” Impatience.

“Then show me what you want.” He reaches back and pulls his shirt up, exposing his perfect canvas. I lean over, kissing it. “Your ass is a work of art, Sunshine.” He grins widely at the compliment, wincing and whining soon afterward at the sting my hand leaves behind.

“That hurts, Brian.” I’ll bet it does. It surprised him. I slip my hand underneath his legs and still his cock while I admire my work. He fusses at me and ruts in my hand. Things heat up now, my hand leaving his bottom with the red, burning hue it deserves, a reward of sorts for his audible petulance. I talk him through it; it’s part of the packaged deal. My other hand on his back, strong, soothing.

“I’ve got a pretty good reason to have you across my lap tonight, don’t you think?” He squirms, seems to disagree. Interesting. “Why do you think you’re getting this spanking?”

“Because I wanted it.” He thinks he’s so clever. I’ll play this game. My heated fingers trail down his crack. He pushes back, letting his bottom beg for them. Not yet. Not for a while, his hand sliding over my thigh.

“Why did you want it?” My belt is laying on the bed. I reach over, pick it up, and wind it in my hand. His eyes widen. I raise my eyebrows . “Spread your legs.”

“Brian, no.” I lay it beside his face on the bed. He’s not afraid of that belt. He broke it in. His fingers wrap around it, something to hold on to, something of mine. I slap his thighs, right below his backside. He’s sensitive there. He cries out for me, spreading his legs. I remind him to keep his bottom up. He bites the leather as my hand pinks his inner thighs. This is the part he pretends he doesn’t love—the embarrassment, the humiliation, the submission—his private preference. He’s dripping on my legs, moaning, covering his face with his hand.

“Why did you want it, Justin?” He writhes on my lap as I hold him still, his bare bottom recovering from a long run. I soothe him with my lips, my tongue, my hands, letting the right side of my face feel how hot his cheeks are right now, closing my eyes and soaking in the sensation, our intimate routine of surprise, pain, and comfort. God, I love this. Fucking him tonight is going to be indescribable. I watch my left hand glide back down his back into his hair again. He’s looking at me through his fingers. He’s so fucking adorable when he gets like this.

“I should’ve told you about the job, Brian.”

 

Whoa. A confession. I stop, pulling his hand off of his face, not the answer I was expecting. I cover him with his shirt again and scold him, “If you ever keep something like that from me again, your lap privileges will be permanently revoked. Am I making myself clear?” He smiles, blushes, and nods. He thinks I’m kidding.

“Yes, Mr. Kinney.” He gets up and straddles my lap, reaching over to the nightstand to get everything we need. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.”

“It’s okay, Justin.” He’s fumbling with the condom. I take it from him and throw it on bed. “I’m trying to kiss you.” My hands rub across his ass as he straddles me, the heat radiating off of him. They don’t call him ‘Mr. Sunshine’ for nothing.

10:53 pm
**************
10:57pm

Tonight the light of love is in your eyes


“I want you inside me, Brian.” He’s pulled away from our kiss. “Like this morning.” He can have anything he wants.

“Get on your back.” He pulls me on top of him as I unbutton his shirt. I’ve never seen so many buttons on one shirt. “Do you feel better now that I took care of that for you?” He doesn’t get as embarrassed if I whisper it to him or keep my face close to his like it is now. I love to make him talk about it because this is his other favorite part—the tornado of desire it stirs up inside me for just him, only him, and what only he can do to me. His shirt finally off, my hands smooth along his backside as my body blankets him. He answers me.

“Yes.” His voice is sultry. His hand joins one of mine on his hot, pink ass. “Feel that?” I nod, matching his devilish grin with one of my many. “I like that.”

“I know. You did a good job. I’m very proud of you.” He kisses me, his answer. I slide my hand down his belly to his cock. He’s soaked. “You were dripping on me.” I stroke him, my palm slipping over the head of his cock over and over. He moans. “You still are.”

“I know.” His breath catches in his throat as I wrap his entire cock in my hand. “Brian, god.”

“Justin, look at me.” He stops writhing underneath me for a minute. I grab one of his hands out of my hair and guide it down to my cock. He strokes me. I’m so hard, I fucking ache. “You feel that? That is going to fuck the shit out of you.”

“Please.” He pants. I pull his hand away, put it over his head.

“But first, I’m going to lick your little hole ‘til you beg me to stop.” His eyes are dark, dilated, and desperate, and he moans my name as I begin my descent down his body--my target sighted, knowing there will be many detours along the way. I toy with his nipple, erect long before I get there, roll it between my fingers, and pinch. His quick response earns the other a similar gift, only with teeth. My face continues to skim down his chest, my hands rubbing the sides of his body as he moans for me, incoherent. My nose traces his chest, his abs, and makes landfall beside his toasty, eager cock. Well, well, well.

“You trimmed.” Without me. It’s already started.

“Surprise.”

“When?”

“When you were picking out a tie to wear for dinner.” I need to get my priorities straight.

I growl at him a little as I make myself at home in his blond, fuzzy nest, letting him buck and squirm and moan all he wants from my well-deserved attention. I slide my right hand along his outer right thigh and start kissing his bent knee at the kneecap, taking it slow. I tongue my way down his inner thigh, listening to him whimper. As I get closer to his dick, he's panting and sucking in little breaths of air. I nip at his inner thighs until he spreads his legs for me like he should.

“Is that what you want?”

“Yes.”

“I thought so.” The kissing and sucking, sucking and kissing continues down his inner thigh until I'm back at his cock again, only this time I have a different agenda. My lips brush the length of his cock as lightly as I can, no tongue, no spit, just warm, dry lips that are barely there. My hands are there too, but just carelessly stroking his balls; the light touch making him think I love him and hate him at the same time. I know he knows better. He starts to beg when I push his legs up and further apart, running my tongue along the short path to his pucker. “Keep them up, Justin.” He yanks on his necktie when he feels my thumbs part his cheeks, my moist breath warming his tiny, pink asshole.

“Fuck.” His head is raised, a battle lost. The necktie abandoned in the sheets. “Uh, god I love this.”

“Lay down.” I taste his reassuring and peculiar flavor, feel his taut ingress quiver and contract as I lick him. His moans morph into gasps when I nudge inside him, savoring the only thing that should be on a dessert menu. His hands grab his legs, keeping them spread for me as I saturate him with my tongue, listening to him beg me to keep going, to stop, to fuck him, to let him keep begging. That didn’t take long at all.

He tugs my hair because I’m not moving fast enough for him, and I don’t object. I glide up his body, my torso smearing the moisture from both of our bodies as a sound leaves his throat that makes me smile. My face dives at his, fast at first, but then everything slows down as my tongue slicks inside his mouth, over his teeth, and then a quiet moment with just lips and eyes locked.

“Brian?” I stop moving and look at him, feeling his lips lightly littering the rest of my face. “I want you.” He eats the smile off of my face, sucking my tongue into his mouth as I lie back on top of him. He licks every bit of my face that tastes like him. I slide my fingers in his mouth.

“Get them wet. This is all you’re getting.” He pulls my hand out of his mouth, locking his eyes on mine as I get him ready. This won’t take long either, unless I want it to. Getting Justin ready is almost redundant, as if anything about fucking Justin could ever be redundant. I trace his lips with my finger, a quiet amusement on my face.

“Are you going to be a good boy for me?”

“Yes. I promise.” A panting promise, sweet. He wants to please. “What?” He questions my expression. I shrug it off so he asks again, “What?”


I fess up, “I’ve never fuc-- made love to anyone like you. You’re an amazing, persistent little fucker, you know that?” He beams, kisses me.

“Yeah, I know. You don’t suck either.” The smile on his face worthy of a portrait.

“No complaints so far?” My fingers are dry. We got off track. I bring them back to his lips. He holds them back for a second.

“I have some, but I’m not filling out all those forms.” I nod. I don’t blame him. He looks at me through his eyelashes as my fingers disappear into his mouth again, a warm sensation spreading between my legs setting me back on course.

“All little bottom boys get their asses fucked like this, don’t they?”

“Yes. Please.” I kiss him hard as my wet fingers wedge into his wet hole. He bites my lip, my fingers a pinching intrusion, his ass seizing them as they work their way in. He hisses in my ear.

“Be a good boy and let your bottom open up for me.” I widen him slowly, deliberately, staying a step ahead of what he can take. His moaning is almost unbearable. I add another. “Open your bottom, Justin. You heard me.” He strokes himself. I pause for a few seconds, locating the condom I tossed away earlier, right next to him.

“Brian, please don’t stop.” He tucks his head against my shoulder, mewling in my ear as I stretch him, my lips lodged right below his ear.

“Do you like this, Justin?” He more than likes it.

“Yes.” He exhales a little. “Yes.” He wants to come.

“You’re very tight. I want you to feel how tight you are.” I thrust my fingers inside him hard. He nods and swallows, eyes wide open when I talk to him, then closed as he fights this. He knows better than to come like this. I run my lips from his ear to his mouth, forcing my tongue inside. His moans are muffled as he fucks my hand. He protests into my mouth, tries to push my face off of his.

“Brian, please. I can’t.” His fingers are digging into my biceps. I can feel him tightening. He’s almost gone. My fingers disappear. He groans in frustrated relief as I sheath myself. He’ll come on the first push when he’s this wound up. He’s already trying to calm himself down. He opens his eyes, waiting for me.

“If you moan any louder, sweetheart, Party Bitch is going to hear you on ’26.”” He laughs, out of breath. It’s funny.

“’20.’”

“’26.’ She took the stairs.”

“Did you put the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door?”

“No, I put the 'come on in, we’re having an orgy’ sign on the door.” He kicks my ass as I cover him with my upper body, my cock pulsing at his pucker.

“AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! OH MY GOD, FUCK ME HARDER, HARDER, HARDER. MORE, MORE, MORE! YES! YES! YES!” Two can play that game. He's so tight his little ass almost chokes my dick. Not for long. “Oh my god Brian. Oh shit. Wait.”

“I’m not waiting, Justin.” His hole's as warm and slippery as the rest of him as I sink inside and fuck him, his moans like surround sound. A warm feeling floods my entire body. Oh fuck, I want this to last longer. Christ. Five or six thrusts in, he tightens under me all of sudden and bursts all over both of us. He wanted to last longer. I slap his bottom, lasted longer than I thought he would. He’s kissing me rabidly, the aftershock of his orgasm entangled with the pounding his ass is getting right now.

“Christ Justin. Your snug little bottom is just like I like it---hot, full, and all mine.” His breathing fights with him. He cries out.

“Hurts Brian. Please don’t stop.”

“Is this how you wanted your ass fucked?” If he makes that face one more time, I’ll come on the spot. Look at his chest instead. “Answer me.”

“Harder.” Fuck. “Brian, I mean it, more. Don’t… stop… fucking… me.” His thrashing has virtually pulled the sheets off this bed.

“I won’t.” I don’t want to. Don’t think I can. I can’t. Words are falling all around me, ending up in a pile on the floor. God, I don’t want this to be over. This is one delicious, chaotic fuck.

“Promise. Don’t.”

“Jus, be quiet.”

“I love y--" I pull his legs to my shoulders, folding him in half. “Oh god, fuck me.”

The only sounds in this room now are our breathing, moaning, and our bodies making contact. The rush in my head is much louder, the volume increasing with every thrust—every time I slide out and find my way back in, he knows I’m back and pulls me farther in. He makes it harder and harder to leave again. His sticky chest is making our movements even slicker as I continue to fuck him. His fingers dig into my shoulders. I can’t make sense out of anything. I can’t give him what he wants, can’t keep going. He feels my body surrendering, the parts that are ready to give up the fight, the others following close behind. My victory re-defining itself as it pours out of me.

I smother him when I come, his moaning the only thing I can comprehend. “Holy fuck Justin. Holy… fucking…… fuck.” His head inches from the wall. Mine making contact. Can’t even feel it. I can’t feel fucking anything. He lies underneath me, catching his breath. The task made much more difficult at first because my mouth is covering his. I have collapsed, given in. Somehow I feel him running his fingers quietly behind my ears, his hand on my head, soothing me with whispered words…

“Jesus, Brian. Oh my god. That was exactly what I wished for. Oh my god, that was amazing. Is your head okay?” His hot breath is almost too loud in my ear. Everything is too loud right now. I lift up for a second to kiss him, hitting my head on the wall again. I groan, burying my face in his pillow. “Brian, be careful.” I’m defeated in his arms.

a few minutes later…

“Brian?” I’m not available for questions right now.

“Hmm?”

“You left the condom in the elevator on purpose, didn’t you?”

“I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me.” Don’t laugh when my dick is inside you. That tickles. I was almost asleep.

“Brian?” Please shut the fuck up, my little kink mister.

“Hmm?”

“Can we do that again, you know, a little later?”

“I’ll just buy you something.” He wears me the fuck out. “Don’t laugh when my dick is inside you. That’s fucking weird.”

**************
bedtime

But will you love me tomorrow


“I have to pull out.”

“I don’t want you to.”

“I have to. You’re not a pretzel.” Not full time anyway. I get a good look at the bed, lit only from the dim light of the bathroom. The sheets are sort of on the bed. I can’t really tell. Don’t really care. I watch him as he stretches out. I lie on my back, feeling like I should be smoking right now. I look over at him. He looks sleepy. He rolls on his side facing me, his hand in my hair, his face smiling at me. “What?” He better not be horny again.

“I’m really proud of you Brian.”

“Why? Because I used the “L” word in a sentence?” He kicks me. He’s a strong little fucker.

“No, you asshole.”

“Because I defended your honor in a duel with the Party Bitch?”

“Um, no. And you didn’t defend my honor. She thinks I’m a fucking prostitute.”

“A very expensive prostitute.” He laughs.

“No, I’m proud of you because your—our---clothes are strewn all over this place, and you haven’t had an anxiety attack or needed any special medication.”

“Don’t make me spank you again.”

Brian”. He turns away from me, pulling the covers over his head. He must want me to.

“I’m just teasing you.”

“Well, don’t.”

“Fine. Come here.” I roll on my side and pull him to me, kissing his neck, the side of his face, ending up at his ear. My hands are elsewhere, where they’re not supposed to be. “I think we should warm this up a little before you start pushing it against me all night.”

“Brian, what did I say?” He slides my hand off of his ass, over his hip, and onto his dick. I take it in my hand, feeling it get hard again. I drape my leg over his legs, encompassing him.

“We need to sleep, Justin. You’ve worn me ragged the last forty-eight hours.”

“I know. Did you have fun today, Brian?” Best day of my life or damn close to it.

“Yeah. I had a blast.”

“You did?” He tilts his head back.

“Yeah. Watching you prance around in your new clothes and just being with you, was really fun, really nice actually. I think I actually kind of like you.” He pokes me with his elbow.

“Yeah, me too.”

We’re both kind of quiet for a while. I listen to him breathe in my arms, shift my body a little. He reaches behind him pulling my hips to his, my erection resting in the crevice of his ass, my desire quiet. His hand covers mine on his cock with a gentle squeeze as he presses a condom into my other hand. I open the wrapper with my teeth. I press one hand on his shoulder and the other on his hip as I slide inside, pushing through his resistance.

“Ah. Ow.”

He closes his eyes, biting his lip as he swells to take me again. My fingers trail his chin, letting him know that I’m watching his face as he accepts me. I don’t think the tears he’s crying have anything to do with the pain he’s in.

“Justin, don’t.” He dries his eyes on his pillowcase and looks back at me. I lean in to kiss him, the salt from his tears flavoring our kiss.

“I’m just sore.” I nod, accepting that version of the truth, my head over his shoulder. I need to speed this up for both of us, but my mind won’t cooperate, preferring the in-flight movie instead. I see him everywhere I’ve ever fucked him as I rock inside him—smashed against the wall of the backroom, insecure and shadowed at the baths, cold and bundled up in an alley with his pants pushed down no farther than necessary, bent over my many desks, warm and wet in the shower, even relieved in a hotel room much like this one a long time ago when I showed up to take him home. The endless chairs, kitchen counters, table tops, sofas, pillows, support beams, and---

“Brian.” He nudges me. “Please.” I rarely come before he does, usually when I’m not paying attention. I tighten my grip around his cock, his ass clenching my dick as his orgasm starts, a nice finish for mine. “Stay okay? Don’t move.” He’s tired, his voice trailing off, his hand looking for mine.

“I’m not going anywhere. Go to sleep.” He’s sound asleep in less than ten minutes, no acknowledgement at all when I pull us apart, dispose of the condoms, piss, and turn off the light. I return, wrapping myself around him again. He stirs. “Go back to sleep, Justin.”

“Mmmmkay. Just don’t snore in my ear and don’t kick me.”

I love you, too.

Chapter 14-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN’S POV

How do you call your lover boy?
”Come here, lover boy”
And if he doesn't answer
”Oh, lover boy”
And if he still doesn't answer?

1:11 am


The sheets are barely on the bed, and Justin’s not in it. His pillow’s gone too. I follow the light to find him on the sofa in the outer room, sound asleep, the television muted, the remote control lodged underneath him. I contemplate picking him up and carrying him back to bed but decide I ought to have a semblance of a bed to put him in first. Our bedroom is dark. I open the curtains a little, the light from the street enough to re-sheet with. I’m doing a shitty job, wondering why he got up in the first place, why I didn’t notice. Too preoccupied to make a bed. Pathetic. Fuck it. It’s good enough.

My second trip to the outer room finds him the same way. The infomercial running is pushing a pointless piece of workout equipment, but the model is fucking hot. Most nights I can’t sleep he’d be excellent company for my right hand. Tonight I was sleeping just fine until I woke up without Justin. Something I need to get used to. The advertisement switches to the female portion of the workout as I’m walking to the television to turn it off. The room darkens instantly. My eyes adjust.

“Don’t turn that off.” He’s awake, kind of. I find my way back to the sofa, trying not to bump into anything. I lean over him, pulling the remote out from his crossed arms. I can see him rubbing his eyes in the darkness. He pulls his feet back under the blanket he’s wrapped himself in.

“Hey,” my hand on his shoulder. “I was coming to get you, to bring you back to bed.”

“I’m not coming back to bed. I’m sleeping out here.” He snuggles back down into his pillow. “Put the t.v. back on please or give me the remote.” Justin drowns his sorrows in late night t.v. like I drown mine in booze and illegal substances. I’ve seen him like this before.

“What’s wrong?” I sit on the adjacent sofa, no room for me on the one he’s on.

“Nothing. I’m drowning you out. Go back to bed.” I don’t say anything. Silence as we both just sit here in the darkness. “Well, if you’re just going to sit there, you can get me something to drink.” Fine with me. I’m thirsty too. I open the mini-fridge and grab a bottle of water for me and orange juice for him. I’m not giving him Coke in the middle of the night. I can’t believe I’m even having these thoughts, like he’s Gus or something. “By the way, I’m hungry too.” I grab him a candy bar. Whatever makes him happy.

“Here.”

“Orange juice and a ‘$100,000’ bar?” Truth in advertising. Everything in that mini-bar is probably costing me close to it. What does he care anyway? He’ll eat anything. Just like Mikey on that Life commercial. I start laughing. “What’s so funny?”

“You.”

“What?”

“My best friend is named ‘Mikey,’ and you’re just like that kid ‘Mikey’ in those old Life cereal commercials. ‘Give it to ‘Mikey,’ he’ll eat anything.’” He flips me off in the darkness. “What’s up your ass?” I wonder if there’s Midol in that mini-bar.

“You.” I swear he’s already finished that candy bar. I’m not giving him another one. “You kept telling me to ‘shut the fuck up’ and then you almost hit me. I got tired of it, decided to sleep out here.” Shit. “And then, once I came out here, you just kept right on talking Brian. That’s why I turned on the t.v., I was drowning you out.”

I’ve finished my water. “Well, wake me up next time.”

“I tried to wake you up Brian. That’s when you almost hit me. You’re fucking dangerous to sleep with, and not for the reason that people think.”

What the fuck does that mean? Whatever. “All right, come back to bed. If I start to talk, just hit me really hard or something. I don’t want you to sleep out here.”

“Oh that’s good, Brian. Let’s solve a violent problem with more violence. That’s the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard.” Dumber than walking around in matching pink tank tops with pepper spray picking on straight people? Uh huh.

“Okay. Then you go back to bed, and I’ll sleep out here. You need to sleep. You’re the one going to the west coast, not me. You’ll be the grumpy little Assistant Art Director if you don’t get some shut-eye.” I hop up from the sofa, scoop him up and carry him back to the bedroom, depositing him into our bed. His naked, little, blanketed body much warmer than mine. I tuck him in, leaning down to kiss him goodnight, his face surprised by the sudden change of scenery. “Sleep tight, Sunshine.” He calls out to me as I’m walking away.

“Brian, here.” He hands me the blanket he had on the sofa, pulling it out from under the covers. I take it from him. “You’ll be cold.”

“Thanks.” I make my way to the sofa, flipping on the t.v., a new infomercial starting—the newest innovation in hair restoration. I turn it back off. I’ve got a while before I have to worry about that shit. This blanket smells like him. I’m keeping it.

*********************
If I couldn't sleep could you sleep
Could you paint me better off

2:31 am


“Can I come sit in your lap?” The scent of my cigarette must have awakened him.

“I thought you were asleep.” I came back in here to find my cigarettes and decided to stay, this chair by the window as comfortable as that sofa. The traffic lights are hypnotic after you stare at them for a while: green, yellow, red, green, yellow, red--the few in this city with correct timing, my mind a thousand miles away, make that a little under twenty five hundred.

“I’ve been awake for awhile.” He readjusts his pillow. “I’ve just been lying here….watching you.”

“You need to sleep. The time difference and everything.”

“I can’t.” He gets out of bed and walks over to me, finishing my cigarette. I offer him the blanket covering my legs. He wraps himself in it, sitting sideways in my lap, leaning against me, looking out the window. He warms me. “What were you writing? I saw you writing in my sketchpad.”

“Some stuff I didn’t want to forget. I didn’t have any other paper.” That’s not true, but it’s passable.

“Hand it to me.” I reach down beside the chair and hand him his sketchpad. He flips to the back page where I was writing. He was watching me. He reads what I wrote. “What does this mean? What is this?”

“It’s information, names and numbers.”

“For what?”

“For you.” I look down at the page for the first time since I wrote the information twenty or so minutes ago. I guess this is as good a time as any. “You need to keep this with you when you get there. When we got here today, the guy who parked the car for us, you remember him?”

“The guy by the curb?” He looks at me.

“Yeah. His name is John Westheim. He’s worked here for years. He’s a childhood friend of mine, grew up on the same street, knew him before I knew Mikey.” He smiles, cautiously. I point to the first set of numbers on the page. “This guy here, Matthew Westheim, is his brother.”

“This guy is that guy's brother?”

“Right. He lives in Burbank, close to the studio where you’ll be working. This is his home number, his work number, and his cell. There’s his address too. His wife’s name is Valerie or Vera, or something. I can’t remember. I was at their wedding, so was Lindsay. She knows them too. It was a long time ago, right after we got out of college. Matt works for a telecommunications company, I think, something high-tech. Anyway, he knows you’re coming out there, and you can use his name for an emergency contact, so you’ll have somebody out there, somebody close by that I trust, to look after you—if you need it. Not that you’ll need it, but if you do.” I stop for a minute to make sure he’s listening to me. “Once you get out there, after a week or so, give him a call. They offered to have you come over for dinner. It’s not a bad idea. He’s got three kids, a huge house. It’ll be good for you to know who they are, just in case.” He nods.

“Okay. I’ll do it, Brian.” He shifts in my lap. “I don’t want you to worry about me.”

“These other numbers…..one of them is one of my credit cards, it’s reversed, just in case you have an emergency before you get your own money coming in.”

“I have enough money, and Brett is going to help me get settled. I’ll be okay.”

“You’ll be fine. I know you will, Justin, but I want you to listen to me.” I close the sketchpad, lay it on the windowsill, pulling him to me, my gaze mostly on the world outside our window right now--the world where he’ll be. “I want you to be careful out there. It’s going to be a lot different than what you’re used to. The stakes are going to be a lot higher. You’re adding money, fame, and influence into an already potent mix. You need to pay attention to what’s going on around you, who you’re with, what they’re doing. Keep your wits about you, keep your head clear so you can make good decisions, so you don’t get led around by the nose. You’re young, hot, and talented—easy prey for a lot of people who won’t give a shit about what happens to you.”

“I’m not going to let anybody take advantage of me. I’ve been around you for four years. I’ve picked up a few things.”

“I know you have, and if you hadn’t, I probably wouldn’t be so confident that you’re going to be fine out there—more than fine. You’re smart as hell Justin, and I’m proud of you. You deserve this.” I hope I look happy. I want to be.

“I deserve you.” He plays with my hand lying on his leg.

“Nobody deserves me.” Seriously.

“I’m not going to let anybody fuck me Brian, if that’s what you’re worried about. I don’t, not even here.” I shake my head. That’s the least of my worries.

“You don’t need to promise me that. It’s not realistic. We can talk about it when you get back.”

“But you said—“

“I know what I said, and I meant it. I want you all to myself, but we should do that when we can set boundaries we’re both comfortable with and can live by. But for what it’s worth, no, I don’t want anyone else touching you, not while I’m watching anyway. I don’t want to parade your naked ass around in the backroom of Babylon anymore. If those boys want to see your beautiful naked body, then they can put you through school, buy you three squares a day, watch annoying television shows with you, clothe the mother fucking shit out of you, eat your chicken casserole surprise, and listen to all of your endless stories. They can work for it like I do. I’m not showing them my most prized possession for free anymore.”

“That’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me Brian.” He smiles at me, bats his eyelashes. I pinch his bottom.

“Well then write it down.” I hand him back his sketchpad. He knocks it out of my hand and kisses me instead. I hope he’s not gonna ask me to remember what I said because I can’t remember anything when he kisses me like that. “You’re making me hard.”

“You can fuck me if you want.” The thought had crossed my mind.

“I’m afraid to. If I fuck you anymore tonight, you’re going to come down with a killer case of ‘Bottom Boy Burnout’. I don’t know how to cure that.”

“Six to eight months in Hollywood.” Out of the mouths of babes.

“No shit.”

*********************
Wise men say
Only fools rush in


“I want you to do something for me. Something that’s almost as erotic to me as fucking you.” Almost but not quite. “And it’ll save your ass for at least a little while longer.” He starts to get off my lap. “I’m not asking you to blow me.” He cracks me up sometimes.

“What?”

“I want you to draw something for me.” I hand him his sketchpad, flipping to a blank page, and a pencil. The one I was writing with, the one that was laying on the window sill.

“What do you want me to draw?”

“That.” I point out the window. “Just draw what you see out the window.”

He laughs. “You want me to draw the parking deck. That’s really difficult Brian, not to mention aesthetically pleasing.” He turns his sketchpad horizontally in his lap.

“You know how you always tell me that when I’m in the backroom, it’s not who I’m fucking, it’s that I’m fucking?”

“Yeah?”

“Well, sometimes I think it’s the same for you. Sometimes I think you just need to draw. Doesn’t matter what you’re drawing. Just draw. Sometimes I just like to watch you.”

“Okay. But just for the record, I think you’re being really weird. You’ve never wanted to watch me draw something instead of fucking me.”

“You don’t get sore from drawing.”

“Actually, I do. Just in a different place.” I laugh. He relaxes in the chair, leaning back against me again, and I watch him looking out the window at the Fairmont’s hideous monstrosity of a parking structure outside our bedroom window. He starts to sketch, and I feel myself relax with him, the only sounds I hear are our breathing and the brush of his pencil against the paper. Every once in a while his right hand shakes, and he stops, smiling at me the first couple of times. I smile back. I’m used to watching him struggle with that. My right hand covers his the third time when the shaking gets too much. I assume that he’s just going to stop drawing, but he doesn’t. He switches hands. Our right hands stay wrapped together, holding the sketchpad.

“How long have you been able to switch like that, so easily?”

“Couple of months now. I had to. I used to just use my left hand to hold my right hand still.”

“Right. I remember. At the computer. I’ve seen you do that.”

“Well, I did that so much that my left hand was able to hold the stylus really well after a while. I mean, one day, I was like, this is stupid. I just switched the stylus to my other hand and gave it a shot. It took me almost a week to gain decent control, but then I could switch pretty well. Think about it, I had to re-learn my fine-motor skills in my right hand anyway. It wasn’t that hard.”

“Not for someone as stubborn and determined as you.” He switches again, when he’s trying to do something with minute detail. It’s pretty cool to watch actually. The picture is taking shape. I hold the pad for him now. We have a side view of the parking deck from our window, just below the top level. Justin’s picture is a perspective view, inside the last covered layer, a few cars, a few empty parking spaces, columns, shadows. I think he’s almost finished. He’s shading the letters “Level Five.”

“So, do you want this picture, Brian? A souvenir from the Fairmont?” He’s filling in the elevator inside the deck. I hadn’t even noticed that. And the stairwell now. He notices everything.

“I want to ask you something about it.” His rendition of the winding path the cars take through the deck is almost spooky. The arrows feel like they are pointing to a place you don’t want to go.

“Ask me what?” He shades an “EXIT” sign, my hand lying on the picture.

It’s a risk, but it’s just a picture. “I want you to tell me what’s so scary about this.”

“About what?” He moves my hand. The picture looks done to me; he continues to work on it. I take the pencil from him, a hundred percent sure I’ll regret this.

“About this picture. Tell me what scares you about this.” He looks at me, studies my face for a minute.

“Can I have the pencil back?” I hand it back it to him. The next several minutes pass between us like a scene in a David Lynch movie. One of those scenes where the characters are pretending that everything is fine, but the audience knows otherwise. The picture morphs, slowly, right in front of my face. I don’t say a word as the columns holding the upper floor fill with cracks and the exits are erased. “You didn’t have to do all this for me Brian, you know. I don’t need all this.” His voice is deeper now.

The elevators and arrows go nowhere, the few cars littering the level are destroyed by his pencil and eraser, one by one. “I wanted to do it.” I want to do more. I need to do more.

The roof is caving in.

He speaks, “I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or anything, but all of this is kind of overwhelming, doing everything for me like this, all at once. I kind of wanted to be at the loft tonight. I wanted my last few times with you to be there, so I could remember them there.” He stops talking for a second, concentrates on the picture. “It just feels weird to be here, that’s all.” He cracks the light fixtures suspended from the concrete ceiling. Each and every one.

“I guess I just need all this.” I hope he can understand this. “There’s a part of me, Justin, that just needs to give you everything that I feel like I stole from you.” I steal a look at his eyes to see if he is getting this. He’s a complete poker face. “I guess I’m just trying to give you instant memories or something.” That’s sounds so fucking idiotic when I say it out loud.

Something evil has broken through the floor of Level Five. No one is getting out of there alive. “Memories don’t work like that Brian. Trust me. I know.” His pencil stops punishing the paper. I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding.

“Listen to me, Justin,” I take his pencil away, my hand firm around his. “That’s not going to happen to you. You’re not going to be trapped like that. No one is ever going to hurt you like that again. I promise.” He looks at me, his eyes dilated, still.

“You can’t promise me that. If I’d told you that I was worried about someone hitting me in the head with a bat, you’d have told me that would’ve never happened either.” He’s right. I would have. “Besides, I know that, logically. It still doesn’t make a difference.”

“That’s why you need to get some help. It’s post-traum--.”

“I know what the fuck it is Brian. I’m not stupid.” He looks down at the picture again.

“I don’t think you’re stupid. I think you were the victim of a viscous, homophobic asshole and my selfishness. I fucked up Justin. I made a mistake. I don’t want you to make one too. I want you to get some help for this once you get settled out there. I don’t want this to get any harder for you to handle or to interfere with your life any longer. Don’t worry your mother or me sick over this, please.”

“My mother?”

“Yeah. Your mother. She’s worried about you, too. She knows you skip your appointments at the hospital. She just doesn’t know why. I do. Daphne told me, by accident. Don’t go off on her.” He gets quiet. Too quiet. He looks awful, like he’s going to be sick. “Are you okay?”

“Why did you say you made a mistake? What do you mean?” I hurt his feelings, or he’s trying to change the subject. I can’t tell.

“What I mean is that I should have never come to your prom that night, Justin.” He’s looking at me like I just broke his heart or maybe he’s going to throw up on me. “Hear me out before you get upset, please. Okay?” He nods. He’s trying. “I probably came for the wrong reason. Because I was feeling sorry for myself—feeling old, like I had something to prove. Looking back on it now, it was fucking stupid.” He doesn’t trust me. “But when I got there, and I saw you, I felt completely different. Because then, it was just me and you. It wasn’t about feeling old or proving anything to anybody, it was just about being with you. And you looked so beautiful, and I didn’t think about anything else after that but you. Until, it happened.”

“But you’re sorry now. Sorry that you went.” I’ve really hurt him. Shit. I don’t know what the fuck I was thinking. I wasn’t thinking. I don’t know how to think, apparently.

“Listen to me. Are you listening?” He is. That was a dumb question. “If the situation were reversed, if this wasn’t you we were talking about, but Gus, and some guy made a spectacle out of him like that, and he walked out with that guy and was bashed right afterwards……..think about it. I’d fucking kill him Justin. I just see both sides of it now. It doesn’t mean that every single second that I was there with you wasn’t incredible because it was. It just means that I should have been more of a man then and had that moment with you somewhere else, somewhere where you would have been safe.”

“You mean like where we had it tonight, in a dark, empty ballroom dancing to a band that wasn’t even playing for us?” Shit head.

“Okay, that wasn’t planned okay. That was spur of the moment. The rest of your evening was pretty damn spectacular.” He cracks a smile.

“Yeah, it was. You were right. You suck at romance. You should stick to seduction.” My sentiments exactly. He’s a lot more bothered by this than I thought he would be. He’s looking out the window, a blank stare on his face.

“I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings Justin.” It’s just one of my many talents.

“You didn’t.” Bullshit. I shouldn’t have ever wandered into this water. It’s too deep for me. But it’s where he is, and I can’t leave him out here alone.

“I did something wrong. I can tell.” No response. “Okay, look, you’re tired. Why don’t you go back to bed?” I reach up and close the curtain. I don’t want him looking out there anymore. He pushes off my lap, going into the bathroom and closing the door behind him. I’m relieved when I hear him flush, hear his hand on the door knob. He climbs back into bed, right next to where I’m sitting now, waiting for him. I cover him up.

*********************
I think I’ve already lost you
I think you’re already gone


“If you need me, I’ll be on the sofa.” I doubt I’ll be able to sleep. I walk back over to the chair, retrieving the blanket.

“No.” I turn back in time to see him turn away from me, to face the direction he always faces when we go to sleep. I’m not going to argue with him. I’m just going to shut up. I get back into bed beside him, grateful for the warmth. He reaches behind him for my hand. He presses it flat on the mattress in front of him, tracing it with his index finger. “Do I know how to tie a bow tie?”

“Huh?” I can barely hear him.

“A bow tie. Do I know how to tie a bow tie? Did I know how before--?” No, he can’t, couldn’t. I haven’t thought about that since that night.

“No. You don’t. Why are you asking me that?”

“I’m not sure why. I feel like I remembered something today, but it’s all mixed up. I can’t figure it out. It doesn’t make any sense. Maybe I’m making it up.”

“You can tell me if you want. I’ll try to help you.” If it’s not horrible. If it’s worth remembering.

“That’s what I don’t understand. It’s not about you. It’s about Emmett, sort of, and then part of it feels like it’s about you.”

“Just tell me whatever you want. What about Emmett?” Emmett. He swallows. “Do you want me to get you some water?”

“No. Today when Emmett came in here with me to help me with my new suit, I felt like I’d done it before. Like he and I had done this before.”

“Okay.”

“And then he was tying my tie, you know before we decided that I didn’t need a tie with this shirt—“

“Right.”

“And he’s done that before. Tied my tie. Hasn’t he?” Emmett. At Debbie’s.

“Um, I think he was the one who helped you get ready for the prom. He probably did. We can call him if you want. We can ask him.” I’ll wake his ass up right now.

“I think I got ready at Debbie’s, that a lot of people saw me in my tux before I picked Daphne up, my black tux and my burgundy bow tie.” His tie wasn’t burgundy. Mine was.

“Right. Okay.”

“Were you there?”

“No, I wasn’t there.”

“But you said you knew I didn’t know how to tie a bow tie. Why do I remember you if you weren’t there?” He turns around in my arms, looking at me.

“I think we should talk about this tomorrow. You know, after we talk to Emmett.” In the daylight. In closer proximity to doctors or drugs or mothers or something.

“Whatever it is Brian, it’s coming out now. I’d rather talk about it, like this, with you, than have it hit me when you’re not around. Please.” That shrink, that guy I knew from the baths, the one that helped me that time. I wonder if I still have his number somewhere. Christ.

“All right, but when we’re done, don’t zone out on me. This isn’t easy for me either. I haven’t thought about this since that night Justin.”

“Okay.”

“I mean you just freaked me the fuck out with that picture.”

“Okay. Just tell me Brian.” This is a bad idea.

“I’m not sure, but I think I’m probably in that memory because when we were entering the parking garage, you realized that your tie was undone. Mine was too. I didn’t care because I wasn’t going back in. I teased you about not being able to tie it yourself, offered to do it for you, and you decided to leave it the way it was. I told you it looked hot that way or something. It bothered me because I thought that people would notice that about you the minute you walked back in—that you had my scarf around your neck, that your tie was undone. I no sooner thought that, and then I saw him--.” Fuck. “Seems like a pretty stupid thing to have worried about in retrospect. You probably have it mixed up in your head because Em and I were both trying to fix your tie that night, just at different times in the timeline. Does that make sense?” Please let that make sense.

“Yeah. It fits a little better. It’s weird, though. When I think about Em tying my tie, I feel sad. I feel how I felt when you told me you wouldn’t go with me. I don’t have a lot of other emotions tied to those memories. Most of what I can feel is just the sadness of thinking I wasn’t going with you. That’s why I get so weirded out about it sometimes Brian. It’s like the emotions don’t always fit the picture in my head.” I know that feeling. I call that experience: childhood. Later in life, I called it: fucking. “I’m all right right now, though. I just want to go to sleep. Just stay with me okay? I mean, what’s the worst thing you’re gonna do to me? Smack me upside the head with a bat?”

“Jesus, Justin. That’s not even funny.” His sense of humor is sicker than mine sometimes.

“If you start hitting or kicking me in your sleep again, I’m just gonna stick my dick up your ass.” See what I mean? I’m gonna sleep so well tonight. “I’m just teasing you, Brian. I’m trying out shock therapy on you. If I have to get professional help, you are too.” Like father, like son.

“Who’s paying for it?”

“Who do you think?” He’s already pushing his little ass against me, and he’s not even asleep yet.

“If you try to top me while I’m sleeping, I’ll spank the shit out of you.”

“You wish.”

At this point, I’ll take what I can get.

*********************
JUSTIN’S POV

You never let me cross to the other side now
I'm tied to the hope that you will somehow


Brian Kinney is a classic insomniac and an insensitive jerk with no ability to empathize with other people’s feelings. Hiding your head completely under your pillow and the covers at the same time is the universal symbol for “shut the bathroom light off you prick; I’m trying to sleep.” He’s oblivious as usual. He’s been scrunching and rummaging around in the bathroom for at least two minutes.

Darkness. Finally.

Thank you.

“Phftfft. Don’t just stick something in my mouth Brian without even telling me what it is! God.” Blech. Oh, it’s a Xanax. Now he hands me a glass of water.

“You never complain if I stick something up your ass without warning.” He climbs on top of me after he sits the glass of water on the nightstand. I shake my head at him.

“You didn’t even try to go to sleep. We were laying here for what? Six minutes?”

“Eight.”

“Wow, eight whole minutes. What did you take?”

“Same as you.” Which means same as me plus more. Which means we have about seventeen minutes before he’s pretty fucked up. He would die if he knew that he’s really that predictable. “You weren’t trying to sleep either, Sunshine. You were coming on to me.”

“That is complete bullshit.” I don’t know where he gets this shit. Oh, now he’s got his nose right below my ear.

“Push. Push. Push.”

“Stop it.”

“Push. Push. Push.” Honestly.

“Cut it out.”

“You want me.”

“I’m tired.”

“You know you do.” Yeah, I do.

“I thought you were afraid to fuck me.”

“I’m terrified. Hold me.” Smart ass.

“I can’t resist you when you get like this, Brian.” I can’t ever resist him period.

“You can never resist me.” See? Told you. “You wanna know what I can’t resist about you?”

“Sure.” I reach underneath my head, into my pillowcase, snagging the condom for the occasion. There’s a method to my madness, and there’s no such thing as a fucking Topping Fairy. If I didn’t keep these things close by, he’d be in my ass before I could get to one when he’s like this.

“Don’t do that now.”

“Now is better. Later, you’ll be grouchy.” I rip it open and start rolling it down his cock as he mutters under his breath at me.

“Goddamn mother fucking condoms.” He doesn’t know how many times I’ve stopped him from fucking me raw by accident when he’s fucked up, tired, drunk or all of the above. That is not the Brian Kinney you want to bump into in the middle of the night. It’s just one of those things we don’t talk about. There are so many times I almost went ahead and let him, but he would have gone ballistic on me the next day, so I didn’t. “I fucking hate these fucking things.” Yeah, he took more than Xanax. “I thought you wanted me to fuck you raw.” He’s on me again, running his nose through my hair.

“More than you will ever know, Mr. Kinney. More than you will ever know.”

“I do too. I think about it all the time.” This is why an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. “Every day.”

“Tell me.”

I close my eyes as he slides inside me. He’s so heavy on me. He moans slowly and deeply as he makes love to me, and I'm mostly quiet. I try to keep my breathing calm so I can listen to him. The sound of his voice is soothing, the pitch so low. He’s getting tired.

“Tell you what?” He lost his train of thought. He won’t make it through this fuck if I don’t keep him talking.

“Hmm, tell me what you can’t resist about me.” That was what we were talking about, right? I can’t remember.

He lifts his head up and looks at me. I fix his hair. It’s all over the place. “If I tell you, you have to tell me that I’m not a sick pervert.”

“But you are a sick pervert.” He is, isn’t he?

“Okay, forget it then.” His head falls back on my pillow. He’s doing something really weird to my neck. Feels good. I lean over and whisper in his ear.

“You’re not a sick pervert.” My feet are crossed behind his ass. It doesn’t count.

“I didn’t even tell you yet.” A smart ass mumble into my shoulder.

“I’m giving you immunity for……the rest of this fuck. Say anything you want. You’re free and clear.” He’s so handsome when he smiles.

“Okay. Let me think…………’What I can’t resist about you……..the perverted version.’” There are two versions? He’s clearing his throat. Oh my god. “Promise me you won’t think I’m a pervert.”

“My god, Brian, just tell me.”

“Come a little closer.” He thinks he’s so funny.

You come a little closer. I’m on the bottom.” He makes this big production out of leaning down in my ear. His breath's so hot. I’m afraid my ear's going to melt off my head.

“The first thing I can’t resist about you is that you’re so tiny, I can just pick you up and take you anywhere I want.” Oh, how flattering, I’m portable. He’s tickling the whole side of my face, and he knows it. “The second thing is that you have this perfect little body that molds into mine. That you’re warm…..and snuggly…that when I lay you on your back to fuck you, you squirm like a little bug because you can’t go anywhere. You’re stuck right where I want you.”

“I love you.” God, I love him.

“You’re like a little love bug.” He’s laughing at himself. No wait, he’s laughing at me.

“It bugs me when you laugh at me.” Now we’re both laughing really hard. I love drugs.

“You’re messing me up. You’re making me forget.”

“That’s not me. That’s drugs.”

“Those are my too favorite things: bugs and drugs.” He kisses me, sort of. It’s sloppy and wonderful. “Stop squirming little bug. I’m trying to kiss you.” I’m not even moving. I roll my eyes.

“Please continue.”

“Right. Ahem. Where was I?” More kissing. His hand is running down my back. “That you have this precious little bottom that I can fuck anytime I want, as much as I want, wherever I want, however I want.” His other hand's running up the back of my head, grabbing my hair, pulling my head back. I swallow. “That you have this beautiful cock that's always hard and wet for me, just like now.” Oh my god. His thumb slicks over the head. That feels so good. I pull his face to mine, shoving my tongue inside his mouth. He tastes like tonight. “I’m not done yet.”

“Hurry up.” Oh my god, hurry up.

“That you have this gorgeous mouth that sucks my cock so masterfully that I forget my name. Mmmm, that you have these full, swollen, pink lips that kiss me until I’m incapacitated.” That he’s kissing, tugging on, sucking on, bruising. “That you’re always tight, and pretty, and moody, and hungry, and blond, and very fucking smart. Are you listening to me?”

“Uh huh. I hear well too.” He grins at me, lowering his grip on my cock, gentle but firm, pumping me slowly in his hand. “But this is not perverted.”

“And that you’re way too young for me.” He tongues my ear. “That when I look at you, and kiss you, and fuck you sometimes, you look just like a little boy to me. Your straight little hips, your smooth little chest, your porcelain skin, sometimes you look just like a china doll.” He’s trailing his fingers up my arm now, my dick abandoned. He’s giving me goose bumps.

“Brian.” His hand's on my face.

“Your deep blue eyes. Your small, seashell ears. Your perfect little chin. You’re the most beautiful boy I’ve ever seen. It makes me want to fuck you and read you a story at the same time.” His fingers are on my lips. His eyes look like two dark pennies.

“Is it a dirty story?”

“Unbelievably.”

“If it’s anything like that one you just told me, I’ll take two million copies right now. And you better sign every last one of them.”

“Man, I better get busy. I’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“You can start by finishing this fuck. You need to put your beautiful boy to bed.”

“I do, don’t I? It’s way past your bedtime.” He cups his hand behind my head, tucking it against his chest as we near the end of tonight’s tale. It’s not a furious fuck, just deliberate--the way we often make love in the middle of the night, when one or both of us has had a long day or just needs to unwind. We come within seconds of each other, and it’s incredible, but not nearly as incredible as just being like this, for me or for him, and we both know it. It’s just another one of the things we don’t talk about. He pulls out quickly, getting rid of the condom and collapses back on top of me. He’s wiped out. Good. I hope he can sleep soundly for a few hours. He needs to. I run my fingers through his hair as he nuzzles my neck.

I whisper in his ear that those things he just said to me meant more to me than anything in my entire life. He reaches up in his hair, stopping my hand, wrapping his fingers around mine.

“I meant every word of it.”

I uncross my feet as I feel him yield to exhaustion on top of me. This is what love feels like.

He’s asleep.

Chapter 15-Impulse-Brian/Justin/Emmett's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN’S POV

laughing like children
living like lovers
rolling like thunder under the covers

Sunday, 8:01 am


“Are you going somewhere?” Watching Justin slip his bare ass into those tight jeans is a very nice way to wake up. “Come here.”

“Someone’s knocking on the door, Brian.”

“It’s breakfast. Just shut the bedroom door. They’ll leave it out there, per my instructions.” I give him my best 'come back to bed look.' He zips his jeans and walks into the outer room anyway. I hear him opening the door, talking to the guy, tipping him, and shutting the door. He wheels it into the bedroom, right up next to the bed. Okay, so I ordered a lot.

I fiddle with his jeans as he uncovers everything, his eyes getting bigger and bigger. “Holy shit, Brian! Is there anything you didn’t order?”

“These jeans. Take them off.” He turns towards me a little, barely, thrusting his hips in my face, much more interested in the food. If I want them off, I guess I’m taking them off. “I’m gonna suck you while you eat that waffle.”

“Sounds good to me.” He dips his finger in the whip cream and puts it on my nose before he takes another bite.

“You’d better get that off of me, Justin.” I unzip his Levi’s and free his dick from its denim prison. He looks down at me with this coy smile as I wrap my mouth around it, my tongue swirling around the head. It disappears into my face.

“It’s… not… polite… to talk… with your mouth…… full of cock.” We’ve both got whip cream in our hair now, just, well, not the same kind of hair. It’s kind of like this very sugary tug-o-war, his fingers sticky and caught in my hair, my hands inside his jeans pulling him against the bed. I release him enough to let him move inside my mouth a little, which is a mistake. He yanks my hair even harder. “Oh my god, this is the best fucking waffle I have ever had.” I do make a killer waffle with my master card. He finishes it.

I deep throat him.

His right hand grabs the breakfast cart for support. Smooth move. It’s on wheels. I grab his ass tightly so he doesn’t fall. “Whoa. I didn’t even see that Brian.” His body starts to tighten all over. I pull him closer. He lets out a little screech as he pops the cork on the champagne.

He’s damn lucky I didn’t bite it off, not to mention the fact that he almost put my eye out. The champagne pours down his throat as he pours down mine.

“I’ve never had champagne for breakfast before.” He looks refreshed, kind of like an Irish Spring commercial.

“Apparently.” I take the bottle from him. Okay, so I lied to that Pendergrass prick. I can appreciate good champagne. I’m in advertising; I get paid to lie, and I’m really, really good at it. He leans down and kisses me. We trade off for a while, champagne, then kissing, kissing, then champagne. I run my cold hand between his legs, his movement still obstructed by his jeans. “I told you: 'No pants in my kindgom.'” He finishes the bottle, puts a strawberry in my mouth, and tries to push my chilly hand out of the way. I shake my head. “Is there a particular reason you’re not riding my cock right now?”

“Breakfast. Duh.” He’s standing up, eating scrambled eggs while I fondle him. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so happy.

“If memory serves, we fuck first. Then we eat.” He just put a forkful of eggs in my mouth. I’ve never eaten eggs with my finger running up and down someone’s crack before. That was a first.

“That’s because there’s never any food in the loft, Brian.”

Good point.

“Now you know why. Get on me.”

“It’s gonna get cold.” I can’t deal with this much obstinance so early in the morning. I take his fork out of his hand and throw it on the plate, covering the food back up.

“We have a microwave. You’re going to work in the real world. You need to learn to follow orders. Come here now.

“Uh.” He abandons the cart, climbing onto the bed. Mumbling some shit about, “You’re the one who ordered the food.” I slide my hand back between his legs as he dives across my lap. He’s looking for a condom. I force his jeans the rest of the way down. He kicks them off. He turns around in my arms a little, grinning at me, flashing the condom in my face, like he just found hidden treasure or something. I crack up and kiss him.

“You look like you just found the prize in the Cracker Jack box.”

“Like they would ever put condoms in Cracker Jacks, Brian. I wish. I’d have eaten a lot more boxes.”

“You and me both. All I ever got were those ugly rub-on tattoos.” He giggles in my lap. Champagne? He takes my hand off of his hip and pushes it back between his legs, running his hand down my chest, palming my cock. He’s an evil little flirt when he’s buzzing.

“Speaking of rubbing….”

“I thought you wanted to get this over with, so you could eat your breakfast?” He shakes his head at me.

“If I can’t have breakfast right this minute, then I’m damn well gonna have some foreplay.”

What the fuck was the blowjob?

“I don’t think so. You don’t need it.” He needs foreplay right now like I need a hole in the head.

“I want it.” He throws his arms around my neck, and we end up leaning against the wall, making out for several minutes, my tongue down his throat, hands between legs, gasping and grunting like two teenagers in a parked car in an abandoned cul-de-sac somewhere in the middle of the night.

“With all due respect, I think I know what you want and what you need, Sunshine.”

“Oh, if you knew what I really wanted, your mind would explode Brian Kinney.” He raises his eyebrows at me, straddling me now, pulling me down on the bed, a ridiculously happy smile on his face, way too happy for this early in the morning. I raise mine back. Eyebrow poker. Surely he’s not challenging me to this game. I’m not giving in until I can figure out if he’s bluffing or not. He’s enjoying himself way too much. He laughs at me and my pointless determination. I don’t think he cares if I know or not. “Your hands are warm.” I don’t know what the fuck that has to do with anything. I squeeze his thighs, where my hands are residing. “So why are we having champagne for breakfast anyway, Mr. Kinney?”

Fuck it, I give up. “Because we can.”

“That’s the Brian Kinney answer for everything.” Okay, we’re not having champagne for breakfast ever again.

“Speaking of breakfast, your breakfast is getting very, very cold, and I’m very, very hard.” He plucks the condom out of my hand and moves down my chest, his little pink tongue flicking at my nipples. I look down at him because I know he’s looking up at me. He bites me as soon as our eyes meet. I don’t know why I fall for that every time. He licks and bites and sucks them until I’m practically cussing at him and pushing him away, anywhere else, so he goes down to my belly button and starts fucking it with his tongue and it tickles. Then I'm cussing at him, “Damnit, Justin.”

Laughter. He’s so proud of himself. “Everybody thinks you’re so tough Brian, but you’re not. You’re really just a big pussy cat.” I glare at him. That was uncalled for.

“Suck my dick or something. Make yourself useful.”

So he does. He’s handy like that. Only he doesn’t finish. He just takes me in his mouth enough times for me to think I can finally relax now and feel free to lose my fucking mind in the moist steam room that is his mouth, but no. It was nothing but cruel torture really. Mind-blowing, intense stimulation immediately followed by an overwhelmingly dull, fuzzy sensation. Kind of like when your mother forces you to wear a coat when it’s seventy-eight degrees outside. Fucking barbaric. Goddamn mother fucking condoms.

I’m still trying to cope with my feelings of betrayal, when he swats my chest. “Hey! Concentrate on the fuck we are having, not the one you wish we were. Snap out of it!”

I am.” My eyes practically roll back in my head when he sits on me like this. So do his. He leans forward, pressing his hand into my chest, and I cover it. I could fucking scream this feels so good.

This is the best sex I’ve ever hated.

“I swear to god Brian, your dick grew overnight.” I love him.

“Take your time.”

“There’s not going to be anything else left to take.” Please don’t stop. Please don’t stop. I know that’s selfish, but please don’t.

“You can stop if you want Justin.” He grins at me.

“I’m not stopping. I’m just making you appreciate me.” He’s riding me slowly now, and I’m fighting every urge I have to push up into him. I rub his thighs hard, my nails digging into him.

“I don’t know if this is the right time to tell you this, but I took out a five million dollar insurance policy on your bottom.” He laughs. I always forget that I shouldn’t make him laugh when I’m fucking him. It makes my dick freak out.

“I’m flattered.” There he goes. Free and clear. Feels like home.

“Ten million on your hair.”

“Stop the flattery. I come too fast like this anyway.” I could come just from watching him like this, how he closes his eyes on the downstroke, how I have the most wonderful view of his cock, his balls, his hips, how when I touch him, he moans a little and doesn't even realize it.

“If you cut it, you’ll end up in the Pacific Ocean.”

“Brian.” He can’t stop laughing. My hands are firm on his inner thighs. God, I want to kiss him.

“That wasn’t flattery, Sunshine. That was a promise.” We’re both laughing.

“You just threatened me. You’re an asshole. I should’ve insured your testicles.”

“Now that was just mean.” Unbelievable. I can’t believe I even think that’s funny, can’t believe he's still this tight after four years of me pounding his sweet little ass.

“Well, it’s true. I’m only with you for your mojo.”

“And my money.” I mean if we’re going to be cruel Sunshine, let’s at least be honest.

“And your devastating good looks.”

“My looks are a subsidiary of my mojo.” He thinks about that as I stroke him.

“Then where does your ego fit into all of this?”

“Fuck you.” I push up into him. He lifts up and tries to fuck it up for me. I tighten my grip on his hips.

“I mean is your ego a subsidiary of your mojo, or is your ego the parent company of the whole kit and caboodle?” Oh shit. He’s laughing so hard now he can’t keep a decent rhythm. This is why I’m the top. Never ask a bottom to do a top’s job.

“Stop laughing and concentrate.” I can multi-task when I have the upper hand. He can’t.

“I can’t.” His whole body is vibrating. Now neither of us can stop. “You used the word ‘subsidiary’ while we were fucking.” Yeah, like four sentences ago. “That’s fucking hilarious. Oh my god.” He’s giggling hysterically now. “Oh my god. My stomach hurts. Oh shit. Hup!”

Oh shit.

“Hup!” Fuck. He’s got the hiccups. “Hup!” It takes him forever to get rid of them.

“I can honestly say that I have never fucked anyone while they had the hic—"

“Hup!”

“You have no idea what this feels--"

"Hup! Hup!"

"Jesus, it feels like you’re trying to perform CPR on my dick.” I try to hold his hips still, but that just makes him laugh harder, which is making them worse.

“What are you try—hup-ing to do? Will them out of me? It’s hup! Not going to work! The look on your face!” Okay, well it was just an idea. Jesus. You don’t have to have a conniption. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. We’ve got to stop. Hup!” He rolls off of me and onto his back. I look over at him, tears are rolling down his face, he’s laughing so hard.

“Stop. You’re going to make yourself sick.”

He tries to take a deep breath. “Okay, okay. This is it. I’ve figured it out." Another deep breath. "Your ego is the parent company, and then you have all these little subsidiaries.” He dissolves into another fit of hysteria over that fucking word. So now, I do too. “Stop making me laugh harder, Brian. So, your subsidiaries are: your looks, your mojo, your hup! Your wardrobe, your cars.”

“My bottom boys.” I give him an evil smirk. “You can be the CEO of that subsidiary.”

“Oh my god, you’re, hup, such a bastard!” He punches me really hard. “Okay, now I have to think of a name, hup, for this parent company.” Great. I hum the theme to Jeopardy. “I’ve got it! I’ve got it.” He spreads his arms out in front of him. “Kinn-ego. It’s fucking perfect. Oh my god, that’s genius.”

“Yeah, you’re a fucking genius.” He’s rolling the condom off of me. “What are you doing?”

“I can at least jerk you off.”

“Oh yeah, that’s a turn on. Your little spasming body convulsing with hiccups, crying with laughter, jerking me off. That’s one of my top five all time fantasies.”

“Stop it!” He clutches his stomach. “Hup! It could be hot. I’ll just be really still, hup, and hold your dick, and let my body move all over the place, like this!” He grabs my cock and pretends to flop all over the bed like he’s having electro-shock therapy. I’m laughing my ass off without moving. I’m afraid to. He’s gonna rip my dick off. I’ve got to get rid of his hiccups. I’ve got to save my dick.

“Oh my, hup, god. I’ve got to stop laughing. I’m gonna, hup, hurl.” I think you drink water upside down to get rid of them, or you scare the shit out of the person. I look over at him. There’s no way on god’s green earth he can drink water upside down right now. It would kill him. Although, that’s ‘plan B’—the killing part. I’m going to have to scare the shit out of him. He’s giggling so much at this very moment, I’m afraid he’s going to pee on himself, or worse yet, on me. Again, not a fantasy. How to scare him?

Justin, I’ve changed my mind. You can’t have breakfast.

Not severe enough.

Hollywood called. They’ve cancelled your movie.

Doubtful.

Your mother has a new boyfriend. They use Trojans.

No, he will throw up.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. He’s let go of my dick. Now’s my chance. I pounce on top of him and pin him to the bed, spread eagle. He can’t move.

“Hu—" His eyes open wide.

“Justin Taylor, I love you.”

He opens his mouth.

Nothing comes out.

I unpin him, pull back a little, lie still on top of him. This is just like any old Sunday morning in bed.

Except that it isn’t.

He looks at me.

I look at him.

I look around. I think I’m in the wrong room.

I think I’m in trouble.

I wonder if I’m hurting him lying on him like this. I start to move. He holds onto my arm, so I don’t. I want to kiss him.

I can’t. I don’t feel I have permission.

“Honestly, Brian, I don’t know what to say to that.” When did he sober up?

“You don’t have to say anything.” He breathes. I breathe. The elevator opens in the hallway. The people next door open their door, their dishes clanking in the hallway. “You wanna eat breakfast?” He shakes his head. It seems he wants me instead of pancakes. He looks over at the clock on the nightstand. I wish I had a hammer. “We can stay as long you want. I booked through tomorrow.” Denial is expensive, and I should know. It’s bankrupting me. His hands are in my hair, absently tucking it behind my ear. He’s staring off into space. “Can I kiss you?” His eyes move back to mine in the slighest way possible and somehow I know it’s okay to try. For some reason, I wonder what it will feel like.

It’s not a typical Sunday morning kiss. It’s too tentative, too reluctant, too in need of validation. I’m desperately grateful when I feel his body start to respond to mine, start to want things from me that I was too frozen to offer, and sickened when I realize how destroyed I felt without that for just five minutes.

I will rot from the inside out if there ever comes a moment that he doesn’t want me.

He beckons me inside of him like a lighthouse signaling a troubled ship to shore. It’s always that way with us. He’s always the light. I’m always the storm. I find my way back to him, taking cover where I’m always warm and safe, where I can protect him and please him and feed off of what he does to me.

“Brian.” I close my eyes. “Stop. Get off of me.”

Lightning strikes.

***********************
Friday night I crashed your party
Saturday I said i'm sorry
Sunday came and trashed me out again


When he finishes buttering that English muffin, I’m gonna use that knife to cut the tension out here. Our breakfast in the outer room, an exhibition of a clothed, sober silence.

He breaks it.

“So, I guess I need to know now. How long has it been? When was the last time?” I don’t really know. He’s barely looking at me.

“A while. Since before the cancer.” So, yeah, a while I guess. Shit. He looks surprised. I don’t think he believes me. Kind of hard to fuck anybody else when your dick won’t cooperate. And, quite frankly, I haven’t wanted to.

“Hmmm.” Mouthful of pancakes.

“It’s not like…..you stopped me………I wasn’t in for more than a few seconds. I don’t think it’s really that much of an issue.” He looks dead at me. Shit. That totally came out wrong. Wrong thing to say. “What I mea—"

“It’s not a big issue to you. That’s what you meant.” I’ve convinced him now—of the wrong goddamn thing. He fucking doesn’t trust me.

“No, that is not what I meant.” I’m done eating.

“Why did you let it happen?" That’s a very good question. I wish I had a very good answer for that. He’s sure as hell expecting one.

“I don’t have a good answer for that.” I would never hurt you.

“What? Did you just think that it was my responsibility? It’s your dick.”

“I know that. I guess my mind was on other things.” Why did you let it happen? It’s your ass. We have a safe word for the wrong thing.

“Well, that’s a luxury we can’t afford.” He stabs the last piece of his omelet. The worst sex I’ve ever had followed by the worst breakfast. Fuck Sundays. No such thing as a personal savior when you need one.

“Will you just shut up and listen to me for a minute?” He looks at me like he has no intention of talking to me anymore, anyway. “I did not do it on purpose. I was not waiting for you to do it.” I swallow my anger. Feel angry fine, sound angry, no. “I was thinking about you. I was caught up in the moment.”

“If you were thinking about me, you wouldn’t have done that to me.” Christ. “You were thinking about yourself. As usual.”

I give up. “Okay. I’m sorry. I don’t know what else you want me to say.” He busses our table and stands over me as I sink into this sofa.

“I’ll tell you what I want you to say. I want you to tell me that you will never again tell me that you love me just to get rid of my hiccups. That hurt my feelings, Brian.”

I can’t blink.

“If that’s the only way you can tell me, then don’t ever tell me again because I don’t ever want to hear it. And if it fucks you up so much just to say it, so much so that you can’t even remember to follow your own goddamn rules in the bedroom that you put me at risk, then I definitely don’t ever want to hear it again.”

Holy shit. That’s what we’re fighting about. He walks towards the bedroom and stops halfway there, turning around to face me again, one hand on the edge of the opposite sofa and one on his hip.

“And one more thing while I’ve got your attention.” You're a mother fucking piece of shit.

Why not? The knife’s already in, push it in deeper.

“Did you ever think that maybe I liked fucking in the backroom? That maybe I liked being back there with you? Or did you just think about what you wanted?”

It doesn’t require an answer from me. It’s rhetorical rage. I never thought about it. He shakes his head at me, the way he does when he’s done with me, when he’s had enough.

“I’m gonna take a shower and then we’re leaving. Do not follow me in there.” He walks into the bedroom and slams the door.

Like I could move if I wanted to.
***********************
Why do you have to be a heartbreaker
when I was being what you want me to be?


I wait until I hear the water running before I open the bedroom door. It doesn’t take me long to pack our stuff. The clothes that Paul had ready for Justin I put in his new luggage. I give the suite a 'once over' to be sure I’ve gotten everything. The water stops. I leave his clothes on the bed and go back into the outer room. I don’t know what he wants to wear.

“Brian, did you bring my razor?” He’s calling to me from the bathroom. I can hardly hear him.

“No. No, I only brought mine. Just use it.”

He doesn’t. He’s unshaven when he comes out a few minutes later. “It’s all yours.”

“Thanks.”

“You packed everything?” He scans the suite.

“Yeah.”

“Where’d you put my sketchpads?”

“In one of your suitcases, in the front.” He walks in the bedroom, takes them out, and goes back into the outer room and sits down. “I’ll be ready to go in a few minutes. I won’t be long.”

“Okay.” He’s flipping through them. I go into the bathroom and close the door. I haven’t taken a shower with the door closed since I first got home from the hospital.

He’s gone when I get out, a note left on top of his suitcase.

Meet me out front. I had to smoke.

His sketchpads are gone.
*********************

JUSTIN’S POV

Heaven knows I was just a young boy
Didn't know what I wanted to be


I light up the minute I get outside and notice him immediately. Actually, I notice his name tag first.

“Welcome to the Fairmont ma’am. Enjoy your stay.” He helps an elderly lady out of a cab. I step out of the way as he opens the door for her. He turns right around and talks to me as soon as the door closes. “Don’t stand right next to me and smoke man. That’s cruel. I can’t smoke while I’m working.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You’re John, right?” I hand him my cigarette. There’s no one out here besides us and a few other valets at the moment. “I’m Justin. Justin Taylor, Brian’s friend—boyfriend. I’m moving to L.A. Your bother—"

“Oh yeah. I recognize you now. Sorry. I see hundreds of people a day. Where’s Brian?”

“Upstairs.” I point.

“Yeah, congratulations on your movie, man. That’s cool. I’ve never known anyone who was going to make a movie. You know, in Hollywood, I mean. You think I would with my brother living out there and all, but he’s all work and no play.” I laugh.

“How long has he lived out there?” I hope this Matt guy’s as easygoing as his brother.

“Six, seven years. Long enough to make a shit load of money. My parents remind me of that at least four times a year.” Parental expectations. Been there, done that. I nod. “He’s looking forward to meeting you. I called him on Friday right after Brian called me.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, he said: ‘Sure, we’d love to meet him. Any friend of Kinney’s is helluva lot better than Kinney, right?’”

That makes me smile. “I guess he does know Brian pretty well.”

“Yeah, but I had to tell him about the cancer though. I figured Brian would’ve told him, after his old man died of the same thing and all. Matt quit joking around after that. He’s gonna be all right, isn’t he?”

“The doctor’s say he is.” John shakes his head, done with the cigarette I gave him. “It’s a damn shame. He’s way too young to have to deal with that shit.” He looks me up and down. “And you’re way too young to have a fucking picture deal. How old are you anyway?” He smooths out his uniform, his eyes constantly scanning the circular driveway for people needing assistance.

“Twenty-one.” Almost.

“Twenty-one. I guess Brian’s done all right for himself, huh?” He elbows me. “If I can snag a twenty-one-year-old when I’m his age, I’ll be a happy man. Like her, for instance.” He points to a beautiful girl getting out of a cab in front of the hotel. She looks like Natalie Portman to me. “I’m on.” I watch him carry her suitcase into the lobby for her. He’s all smiles when he comes back outside. “Damn she smelled nice. Told me she’s waiting for her boyfriend to get here, though. I love Sundays. For some reason, the women always smell better on Sundays.” This guy’s funny.

“So how long have you and Brian been together?”

“Four years, on and off.” Hard to believe. Time flies.

“Whoa. That’s like twenty years in ‘Kinney-time.’ Matt was right. He must love you. In college, he was always: chew ‘em up, spit ‘em out.”

“He’s spit me out plenty of times.”

“Ah, doesn’t surprise me, can’t help himself. It’s like a gag reflex in him, like his old man. Same reason I cheated on my wife—to see what I could get away with it, to push my limits—hell, to see if she really loved me. Isn’t that the most pathetic thing you’ve ever heard?”

“That works in your marriage?”

“Depends on how you look at it, I guess. I can have all the illicit sex I want now. We have an ‘arrangement.’” I raise my eyebrows.

“Yeah, we do that too. Does yours work?”

“Well, our arrangement is: she left my ass, took my twin daughters, who were five at the time, and now I get to pay alimony and child support for the rest of my life. All the illicit sex I want though. Plus, I get to work seven days a week and meet up and coming Hollywood royalty to pay for it.”

“Shit, I’m sorry. That sucks.”

“It was funny actually. I ran into Brian here one day, right before Melissa dropped the bomb that she knew what I’d been doing. He was at some meeting here, so we had lunch together. I told him that I was living the 'life of Brian,' that I wished us straight guys had anonymous sex clubs where nobody wants to know your name. You know, 'cause most women aren’t like that.”

“Yeah, tell me about it. One of the many perks of being queer. So, did he tell you to keep up the good work?” That's what he always says.

“No. He said: ‘Is that what you really want, John?’ And it wasn’t. So, I thought about it and said, ‘No.’ And he said, ‘Then go get what you want.’ Irony was, it was too late. She threw my ass out that weekend.”

“I’m really sorry. That’s awful about your kids too. You get to see them, right?”

“Yeah, I have joint custody, just no time. Gotta work, you know? They don’t understand that. Think their Dad doesn’t want to have them over. Fucking sucks. Listen, do you think you could spare another cigarette?” Motions that he’s going to pocket it for later. “I’ve gotta step it up here. These church ladies are gonna start checking out in droves, and they might not smell good, but they tip.” No shit. They smell like my grandmother.

“I’ll give you the whole pack if you’ll do me a favor.”

“Sure. Name it.”

***********************

BRIAN’S POV

I'm a man without conviction,
I'm a man who doesn't know
how to sell a contradiction
you come and go, you come and go



The only good thing about my morning so far is that I don’t have to wait in line to check-out with all of those high-holy hypocrites. I cruise past them and out the front door.

“Brian!”

John.

“Hey. Is there a day you don't work?"

"No. Twenty-four, seven, three sixty-five."

"My car is in ‘G’ what again? I can’t find that note you left me.”

“’G-230-something.’ It was packed yesterday. It’s all the way in the bottom of the garage.”

“All right. Justin’s around here somewhere. If you see him, can you just let him know I went to get the car, and do you mind watching these bags for me?”

“I’ll watch them for you, but he left in a cab about five minutes ago. He asked me to give you this.” Left in a cab.

Nice.

I take the folded paper he’s offering me.

“Thanks.”

“Said he had to be somewhere.”

“Yeah, I forgot.” I step over to the side and unfold the paper. My lighter falls out. I’ve gone to my Mom’s to pack. I don’t have much time. I’ll see you at dinner tonight. Thanks—Justin. I throw his note in the trash as I head for the bowels of the parking garage.

*****************

JUSTIN’S POV

don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

My mom opens the door as soon as she hears my key in it.

“Sweetheart! I was getting worried. I was wondering when you were going to get here. Where’s Brian?” She looks out the front door for his car. “I thought he was coming to help you.”

“We’ve been together non-stop for over twenty-four hours, Mom. We need a break from each other.”

“Okay.” She backs off from hugging me, surveys my appearance. “That’s a new shirt. I like it. You look so grown up.”

“Yeah, Brian gave it to me. I’ve got to pack, okay?” I sprint up the stairs to my room.

“Do you want me to help you?” I hate when she sounds so needy.

“Not right now, Mom. Maybe in a little while.” I open the door to my room, my suitcases the first thing I see. My mother’s in the doorway.

“Your father brought those over yesterday. I called him and told him.” I’m surprised he even cared.

“That was nice of him.”

“He was pretty amazed that you’re going to Hollywood.” I open them up, glancing around my room, trying to figure out where to start.

“He’s probably just amazed that I’m making something of myself.” She crosses her arms over her chest and looks down. That’s her ‘no comment’ pose, which means I’m probably right. I'm amazed I'm making something of myself. "Does he know I’m going to make a gay action movie? Did you tell him that?”

“Not in so many words. I figured you could tell him that when you’re ready.”

“Yeah, just when he decides that he’s proud of me, I can burst his bubble again. I can’t wait for that moment.” I open my closet, stare at my clothes.

“I’m gonna go downstairs. I’ve got stuff in the oven. If you need me, just call me.” She pats me on the shoulder.

“I will.” She leaves me alone.

I spend about fifteen minutes walking around my room, dividing things into two piles: California, not California. I don’t even know which pile I want to be in. I dump a bunch of clothes into my suitcases. When all you wear is cotton and denim, doesn’t much matter if they get wrinkled. Underwear and socks, who cares? Shoes. My lightweight jacket. More sketchpads, old and new. My art stuff. The crap in the bathroom. I stand there for five minutes just staring at my umbrella, like it’s some huge decision about whether or not I need to bring a fucking umbrella to California. I throw it in my suitcase and start going through my CD’s. That takes me forever when I realize that most of the CD’s I really like I haven’t even listened to in four years because Brian doesn’t listen to them. I throw them all in the other suitcase, along with my ipod and all it’s crap.

I’m getting out of here.

“Mom?” I’m halfway down the stairs. “Mom?”

“What, honey, what?” She’s got a bowl of cookie dough in her hand.

“Can I borrow your car? I need to go get some stuff, some stuff I need.” Lie.

“I’ll go get it for you, if you want to keep packing.”

“No, I need to go get it. It’s personal stuff.” She gives me a weak, understanding smile. I can’t stand that. It gets on my fucking nerves.

“Do you need any money?” Why does everybody think I need money? Where the fuck is my wallet? My other pocket. Shit. That scared me.

“No, I don’t need any money. I have money. Can I just take the car for a little while?”

“Sure.” She hands me her purse. There are condoms in here. Now I really need to get out of here.

I need to go somewhere where I belong.

******************
BRIAN’S POV

Do I have to tell the story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It's a big enough umbrella
But it's always me that ends up getting wet


It’s a good thing it’s a cloudy day because I have no fucking idea where my goddamn sunglasses are. “Debbie, it’s Brian. I’m looking for Emmett. Is he there?” Son of a bitch just cut right in front of me.

“Sure honey. Hey, did Sunshine like the big surprise you had for him? I heard he looked gorgeous! Oh, I wished I could’ve been there!” She lowers her voice. “And by the way, so does Michael. That’s just a little warning, from me to you.” And raises it again. “Here’s Emmett! It’s Brian.

“Hey! How’d it go! Was it wonderful? Did he love it?” I hate morning people.

“Yeah, he loved it. Listen, I need to talk to you.”

“Okay, well we’re having breakfast now. Carl is being my guinea pig, trying out some of my new recipes. You wanna come over? There’s plenty to eat. Bring Justin.”

“No. I don’t want to come over. I need to talk to you now, on the phone. I don’t care about breakfast.”

“Okay, okay. What’s the matter? Did I fuck something up? He doesn’t like the clothes or something?”

“No, it’s not about the fucking clothes. Go get on a phone where Debbie can’t hear you.”

“I’ll just call you back on my cell. Calm down while you wait. Jesus.” He hangs up. My cell rings in less than thirty seconds. “Okay, what?”

“Okay. Listen to me, there’s something wrong with Justin.”

“You mean other than the fact that he likes hanging out with you?” Very funny.

“I’m being serious. He remembers you.” There’s some god awful disco diva dance music playing in the background.

“Well, I hope so. I just saw him yesterday.”

“From the prom, Emmett. He remembers you helping him get dressed before the prom.”

“Oh my god. Okay. I didn’t know that he didn’t remember that.” He turns off the music. Thank god. Like I need to hear I Will Survive—the 12” extended play version right now.

“Yeah, well, he didn’t. He just remembered last night, sort of. He thinks he remembers being at Debbie’s with you. I want you to go talk to him.”

“Well, I’ll see him tonight at dinner at Jennifer’s.”

“No, you need to go do it now.” Just fucking go do what I’m telling you to do.

“Where is he?”

“At his mother’s, packing for L.A.”

“Well, come pick me up, and we’ll go. Although, I’m not so sure about this, Brian.”

“I can’t go with you. I need you to go by yourself.”

“Why? What the fuck is going on?”

“I just need you to, okay? I’ll give you a hundred dollars.”

“I don’t want your money.” He’s exasperated with me. Common theme lately. “I just don’t think this is a good idea. I mean, what am I gonna say, ‘Hi Justin, Brian sent me over to help you dredge up horrible memories from four years ago about the night you were almost killed?’ That’s fucked up, not to mention dangerous.”

“Two hundred dollars.”

“No, Brian.”

“Look, something’s wrong with him. I don’t know what it is exactly. He’s leaving in less than twenty-four hours. Can you just go over there and talk to him? See if he brings it up?”

“Fine. But if he doesn’t bring it up, I’m not bringing it up. And if he does bring it up, and he gets upset, I’m calling your ass, and you’re coming to get him. And then I’m going to beat the ever-loving shit out of you and make you pay me a thousand dollars.”

“Deal.”

“You’re a phenomenally fucked up person Brian.”

I’ve almost perfected it.

I’m almost home when Lindsay calls. No rest for the weary. “Hey.”

“Is your love fest over?” She’s whispering.

“Completely.”

“Good. I need you to come over here.”

“Why?” I want to spend some time with my good friend, Jim Beam. We have an appointment.

“Remember that thing I asked you to do a year ago, when Gus was three, and you never did it?” Fuck. Shit. Yes.

“Yeah.”

“Well, he’s four now, Brian, and the kids at school are teasing him. And since Mel’s not here anymore to fight with you about it, I’d appreciate it if you’d come over here and do what you were supposed to do in the first place.” She’s in a pissy mood today.

“Why are you being so damn vague?”

“Because your son is standing right here.”

“Right. I forget that sometimes.”

“I’ll be there shortly. I’m already in the car.”

“Wonderful.” She tells Gus that Daddy is coming over to play with him and have lunch. He’s ecstatic.

So am I.
*********************
EMMETT’S POV

we all need somebody to lean on

Carl was nice enough to let me borrow his car. Seems straight men watch football on Sunday, so he wasn’t going anywhere. Debbie wants to watch AMC with him. I left before that argument got ugly. Jennifer looks completely surprised when she opens the door.

“Emmett?”

“Hi Jennifer.” I wave. She’s so pretty. I love her hair.

“I’m sorry, I just thought you were Brian. I just looked really quickly.”

“Yeah, I get that a lot. We’re both tall.” Similarity ends there, though, thank you very much.

“Come in. What can I do for you?” I smell chocolate chip cookies.

“Came to see Justin actually. Thought I’d help him get ready for his big move!”

“Oh, you should’ve called, he’s not here. He went out for a while.” She doesn’t look very happy.

“Oh, okay. Do you know where he went? I guess I can just call him.” I flip open my cell, scrolling for his number. This new silver-red faceplate so matches my backpack. I don’t care what Teddy says. He doesn’t know shit about accessorizing. Just thinks he does because he’s got his new fancy job and his new fancy office. I mean everything he knows about accessorizing he learned, like, yesterday.

“His phone is off, and I’m not sure where he is actually. He seemed kind of upset when he left here.” Oh, great. I'm going to kill Brian Kinney.

“Well, where does he usually go when he’s upset?” If you sound optimistic, you’ll be optimistic. That’s what my Aunt Lullah always said. Oooh, Jennifer’s got an idea.

“He’s probably at Daphne’s. Let me find her number.” Makes sense to me. Sometimes a boy just needs his hag. She’s back in a flash with Daphne’s number. I’m ready to start my trek down the yellow brick road, but she’s worried. Justin has the best mom.

“Why don’t we just call him real quick and see what he’s up to?” I give her my reassuring smile while I dial Daphne’s number.

“Hullo?” She was sound asleep.

“Daphne? It’s Emmett.”

“Hey Emmett. What’s up?” Sounds like somebody had a rough night. I keep grinning at Jennifer, keep pimping that optimism. Can’t really tell if it’s working, though.

“Oh, I’m fine. Hope you’re doing well. I was just wondering if you’ve talked to Justin today or, if by chance, he’s there with you?” I already know the answer to this question.

“No, haven’t seen him.” She yawns. “And he hasn’t called. Why? Is something wrong? I think he and Brian are at the Fairmont fucking and sucking and rimming their brains out.” Lovely, Jennifer just heard that.

“Um, no, no, not anymore. Seems he’s gone on a little bit of a walkabout.” Jennifer just snatched my pretty red phone from me. Somebody is much stronger than she looks.

“Daphne, it’s Jennifer.”

“Hey, Mrs. Taylor.”

“Justin left here a little over an hour ago, kind of upset. I just figured he was with you. Where does he usually go nowadays when he’s in a funk?”

“He’s not with Brian?”

“No.”

“Michael?” Jennifer and I are sharing one phone now. I shake my head.

“No.”

“Debbie?” Another shake of the head.

“No.”

“And he’s not with you or me. Okay, let me think for a minute. I just woke up…… ……….. ……….. Okay, my guess is he’s at the museum, in gallery four, at the Picasso exhibit, hanging upside down on a bench, looking at the fifth painting down on the far wall.” I nod to Jennifer. I’m very impressed with Daphne. “That’s what he does when he’s freaking out about his life. He says the only thing that’s less fucked up than his life sometimes is an upside down Picasso.”

Bingo.

“Thank you so much Daphne.” Jennifer is so gracious. She and Justin are two peas in a pod.

“Don’t you dare tell him I told you. I’m going back to bed. I’ll see you guys tonight.” Jennifer hands my phone back to me.

“Nite nite, sweetie.” I hang up. “A hag always knows her fag. I’m gonna go pay him a little visit. Thanks, Jennifer.”

Thank you Emmett. At least now I know where he is.” I wonder if she’ll give me a cookie.

“If I don’t find him there, I’ll call you and let you know.”

“That would be great. I’ve got to get my cake out of the oven before it burns.” Guess not.

“I can’t wait to have some of your cooking tonight, Jennifer. It smells delicious!” She waves good-bye with a pot holder on her hand. I’ve got to think. Now just where exactly is this museum again?

*****************
Have you seen her
Tell me have you seen her


You would think after living in this town for a million years, I would know my way around. That’s what you get for thinking.

This is why I don’t have a car.

This is why I hang out with people who do.

Okay, so no problem. Don’t panic. You’re in a police car. Well, not actually a police car, but a policeman’s car, and policeman are prepared for everything right?

Wrong.

Not a map in the glove box. Course why would they need maps? They know where everything is. Duh, Emmett. And here comes Jennifer. Wonderful. I’m sure she’s wondering why I’m still sitting in her driveway ten minutes later.

“Emmett! Wait!” I roll down the passenger window. At least I know how to do that.

“I’m just getting all of my ducks in a row.” Dead ducks.

“I think we should just call the museum first and see if he’s there before you drive all the way over there.” Good idea. See why I shouldn’t be in charge of these things? Case in point. Her cell phone is purple-ly. It’s prettier than mine.

“Myron? Hi. This is Jennifer Taylor.” She got the museum on speed dial. Damn. “I’m fine. How are you?....Great. And Janet?...Oh, that’s wonderful.” She mouths to me: He’s a talker. “I was just wondering if my son Justin was there.” He’s laughing. I can hear him. He’s got a booming voice. Sounds like Santa Claus, not like somebody you’d expect to work at a museum. Not that I’m stereotyping or anything.

“You mean ‘upside down Picasso?’”

“Yes.” She looks embarrassed. Honey, that ain’t nothin’ compared to what people called me back in Hazelhurst.

Yeah, he’s here. Been here for about an hour, letting the blood rush to his head. There aren’t many people here today, so I’m just letting him be.”

“Oh, thank you so much.”

Just between you and me, the owners want to take that exhibit down, and I told ‘em: ‘You better check with ‘upside down Picasso’ first. He’ll freak out.’

“Thank you so much Myron. And please don-"

I mean that’s his favorite painting.

“I know. Well, thank—"

I don’t know what he’d look at if it wasn—"

“Yes, yes, he really does love it.”

You know art means a lot of different things to people, but that painting just does something—"

“That is so true. Please don’t tell him I was looking for him Myron. I’ve got to run. I appreciate it. Take care.” Good lord, somebody needs to buy that man some oxygen so he can take a breath.

“Well, that sounded like fun.” I can’t wait to get to the museum now. Brian Kinney is officially on the clock. Overtime rates. It’s Sunday.

“That Myron is quite a character.” She turns in her seat to face me and starts speaking to me in a much quieter voice. She has such intense eyes. Oh my god, I’ve never even noticed that before. And she makes this funny throat clearing sound right before she says something 'important,

“Emmett, I thought that we should call before you go because you might not be able to find him right away when you get there.” She looks kind of nervous. Hell, I don’t even know how to get to the damn place at this point. One problem at a time please.

“Well, when I go in I’ll just have someone point me to Picasso.” Can’t be that difficult.

Okay, now she’s pressing her lips together. I think I have some chapstick in my backpack. “He might not be in the Picasso exhibit. You might have to look for him.” She's acting really strange. No need to worry.

“Well, if I don’t see him in the Picasso exhibit, I’ll look around for him. I’ll find him.” No offense, but I’m not stupid. I know museums have a lot of rooms.

“No. What I mean is he might be in the bathroom with a man.

Oh

my

god.

Okay.” I have to think about that for a minute. Why am I freaking out? Because Justin cruises guys at museums? Because it works? Because his mother knows about it? Or because he’s doing it right now? My head is spinning. I feel like a Picasso painting right now. “I doubt that’s what he’s doing.” I pat her arm. “Do you think you could do me a teensy, weensy favor and tell me how to get to this museum?” She laughs. Thank god somebody thinks this is funny.

“Sure. I’ll draw you a map.”

“Fabulous.”

So now, after twenty minutes of being in Jennifer’s driveway, I’m on my way. This is turning into a three hour tour. When I was twenty and disappeared for days on end, more than a month once, no one even noticed I was gone. Justin’s gone for an hour, and we’ve already formed a search party. We should all have t-shirts with WDJG on the front and Where Did Justin Go? on the back in an assortment of styles and colors.

WDJG. Sounds like a radio station where people call in everyday with their “Justin sightings.” We could play my all-time favorite hit from the Chi-Lites, Have You Seen Her? every hour on the hour until he comes back. Oh my god, I love that song! And then we could have play a little running clock on our website, www.wheredidjustingo.com, showing exactly how long it’s been since he’s been gone.

Okay, I need to stop this now and focus on what I’m doing. Pay attention to where I need to turn. I’ve never driven a policeman’s car before and to think, the first time I drive one, I’m actually on a mission. That's such a coincidence. I feel so Cagney and Lacey right now.

Oh my god, I can’t wait to tell Debbie about this.

Ready or not, ‘Sunny-side-up’, here I come.

Chapter 16-Consolation-Ted/Justin/Brian/Emmett's POV by plumsuede


TED’S POV

alone again, naturally

That’s it. That’s what it is. I knew it would come to me. It’s a carry over from last month. I knew that girl from that temp agency didn’t know how to reconcile a bank account. Just like I know I’m probably the only guy who figures these things out while masturbating to John Cusak talking to his therapist in Grosse Pointe Blank. There’s just something about all that black he wears while he’s working out all of his issues.

Work ‘em out John, work ‘em out. Holy fucking fuck fuck. Phone’s ringing, and I’m out of tissues.

Em. Of course.

”OH THANK GOD YOU ANSWERED YOUR PHONE!” Well, that’ll be the last time, considering I’m deaf now.

“Why are you yelling?”

I’M NOT YELLING. I’M ON MY NEW HEADSET. ISN’T IT FABULOUS?”

“Only if fabulous means ‘make someone’s ear bleed.’ Turn it down.”

“OH, SORRY! Is that better?” Much.

“What are you doing? Wearing a headset while you cook now?”

“No, Teddy. I’m not cooking. I’m lost.”

“Physically or metaphorically?”

“Directionally. I’m on my way to the museum, and I know I’m close, but I can’t find it. I’m starting to panic. You’ve got to help me.” The museum? Before noon?

”Okay. Fine. Why are you going to the museum? And which museum? The one downtown or the new one?”

“No, not the new one. Downtown. And I can’t tell you why. I’m on a mission. I think it might be top secret. All I can tell you is that I’m in Carl’s car on the way to the museum, and I’m totally lost, and I need your help.”

”Okay, wait, let me get this straight. You’re on a top secret mission to a museum in Carl’s car by yourself. You’re completely lost. You can’t tell me what it is, and you want me to help you carry out this mission?” This is even better than whacking off to Cusak.

“Teddy. You’re not helping.”

”Right. Where are you?”

“IF I KNEW WHERE I WAS, TEDDY, I WOULDN’T BE LOST!” Em in a nutshell—loud and obvious.

”Pull off somewhere and figure out what street you’re on. You’ve got to give me a starting point. I’m not Houdini!”

“Fine. Fair enough. Maybe I should get some donuts.” Huh?

”What?”

“Nothing. Nothing. I’m just talking to myself. I’m in the parking lot of The Donut Hole.” I know exactly where he is.

”Okay. You’re about three blocks away. Make a right out of The Donut Hole, go three blocks down, and the museum will be on your left.”

“Teddy, you’re a lifesaver. What would I do without you? I’m going through the drive-thru. I can’t get through this without some donuts or some chocolate or something.”

“You’d drive some other conservative homosexual up the wall, and get through what? What’s going on? You’re making me feel more left out than usual.”

“Believe me Teddy, you don’t want anything to do with this.”

“With what!?”

“Hang on. Can I please have six chocolately-chocolate donuts with sprinkles and six strawberry-glaze with rainbow sprinkles?.....No, that’ll be all. Thank you.”

”Jesus. This must be bad. You don’t eat chocolately-chocolate with sprinkles unless….unless Barbara or Cher are really not going to tour again. Or Madonna! Oh my god, did you hear something about Madonna? You did, didn’t you? Out with it.” Or maybe George Michael died. I’ll bet that’s it. Somebody died. Somebody famous. No wait. A museum. A gay artist? Shit. Why can’t I think of a gay artist?

”Almost ten dollars for a dozen donuts. That is ridiculous. Teddy, you know if I heard something about Madonna, I would’ve called you the minute I heard it. Don’t be dramatic.”

”Then what!”

“Well apparently, Teddy, unbeknownst to me, and since Michael resigned on Friday, I’ve been appointed the defacto ambassador of the Brian/Justin relationship.”

”You have?” He has?

“Yes, apparently I have. Didn’t even see it coming either. I’m so naïve, Teddy, so naïve.”

”You are?” He is.

“Yes, I am. I mean think about it. I’m the logical choice. Michael’s too close to the situation to really help them. I’m the one who’s been in a May-December relationship, I’m the one who Brian chose to pick out Justin’s new clothes, I’m the one who Justin confides in when he’s having problems with Brian—"

Hold on a minute. ”He did that once, and technically a May-December means that—“

“Don’t you see, Teddy? I mean, it just all makes so much sense to me now.”

”It does?” It’s not making any sense to me.

“Yes, it does. Brian's so desperate for help, god Teddy, it almost makes me cry to tell you this…..he tried to pay me, Teddy. Can you believe that? Tried to pay me.” He oughta save the receipt for those donuts. Business expense.

”He did?” Pay you to do what?

“Yes. Of course, I told him, ‘no, Brian, I don’t want your money. I would never take money from a friend.’ Can you fathom such a thing, Teddy? Taking money from a friend?” No, I can’t imagine that at all.

”You? Mooch off of a friend? Never. So does this mean that you’re Dr. Phil now and not a party planner?”

“No, heavens, no. This is just a side thing. You have to understand, this might be where my heart lies, my life’s work, but it will probably never be something I can make my living at. Sadly, I’ll probably always be a party planner. Oh, look, I just found the museum! It was right where you said it was!” Whadd’ya know? I’m good for something.

”Imagine that. Well, look on the bright side Dr. Em. If you do mend Brian and Justin’s relationship, you can always throw them a party, charge Brian a shit load of money for it, and get paid for all of this in the end.”

“You know what Ted Schmidt? That's a damn fine idea. That’s why you and I make a great team.”

”Yes. It frightens me sometimes.”

“Well, wish me luck. I’ve got to go spread some fairy dust.”

”Don’t sneeze.”

So I guess in another four years, it’s my turn to play doctor? Just like kickball. Always the last to be picked. Why do all of us end up working for Brian Kinney in one way or another?

********************
JUSTIN'S POV

I think there's something you should know
I think it's time I told you so
There's something deep inside of me
There's someone else I've got to be

sixty-seven minutes ago….


“Dad? It’s Justin.” I can’t believe I still have his number in my phone. A cigarette before I go in. If I smoked in my mother’s car, she’d have a meltdown. I can see Myron waving to me from his desk. Moron.

”Justin. Hey! Didn’t realize that was you. Didn’t recognize the number.”

“Yeah, it’s my cell. I was just calling to thank you for bringing my luggage over.” Okay, I can’t think of anything else to say now.

”Oh, you’re welcome. Your mom tells me you’re moving to Hollywood? That you’re making a movie? Couldn’t believe it. I’m proud of you, Justin.” Didn’t expect that.

“Yeah, I am. Thanks. I’m leaving tomorrow morning.”

”Your mother told me. For how long?”

“Not really sure yet. Six to eight months probably.” Hopefully not longer.

”Well, what’re you gonna be doing? What’s this movie? This has to do with your artwork, right?”

“Right. My comic book. The one Michael and I did together. Rage. It’s being made into a movie. I’m going to be the Assistant Art Director on the film.”

”Wow. So this is like computer animation? What you wanted to do?” No.

“No, Dad. It’s not an animated picture. It’s a regular film. It just brings the characters to life, like an action movie.”

”Right, right. And it’s for kids?” I’m sure some will go, but, no.

“No, Dad. It’ll be rated ‘R.’ It’s targeted toward an adult audience.”

”A gay audience?” Here we go.

“Yes. An adult gay audience.”

Silence.

”Well, if that’s what you want to do Justin, that’s your decision. But you’re talented. I guess I just don’t understand why you would want to limit yourself by working on something like that, start your career out like that. I mean if you’re work is good enough for Hollywood, surely you can work on something less controversial, something more mainstream. Why waste your talent on something like that?”

“It’s my comic book, Dad. It’s controversial for a reason. And it’s not a waste of my talent.” I’ve found our next villain.

”Well, making a comic book and making a movie are two very different things, that’s all. That’s gonna give you a lot of exposure, whether you like it or not.” Yeah, or maybe you. Maybe that’s what you’re worried about. “But you’re an adult now, you can make your own decisions. This is the comic book you made about that guy Brian, isn’t it?” Seems his memory’s working again.

“Yeah, it’s based on him, and he’s my partner, Dad. He loves me.”

”He’s your business partner now, the one that got you into this deal? This was his idea—to make this movie? You need to be careful, Justin. I don’t like the sound of that. You don’t have all your money tied up with him, do you?”

“I got the deal on my own, and he’s my boyfriend. He’s not going out there with me. I’m going by myself.”

”Well, that’s gonna be the best thing for you, Justin. It’ll probably do you some good to get away from him for awhile. Make a clean break. Live your own life. Be careful out there, son.” The relief in his voice makes me sick. “I love you.” Bullshit.

“No, you don’t.”

”What?”

“I said, ‘no, you don’t.’ You don’t love me. I don’t want you to say if you don’t mean it.” Myron is giving me a really weird look, probably because he’s never seen me like this. Welcome to the last four days of my life Myron. I wish he would just fuck off.

”I do love you, Justin. I just don’t understand the things that you do or why you want to do them. I just never thought that---"

“That your little boy would grow up to suck cock.”

”Don’t say that to me. That’s disgusting.”

“No, Dad. What’s disgusting is that I’ve spent the majority of my life looking up to you only to have you reject me when I haven’t done anything but be myself. That you can love Molly, but not me. Like somehow all the years before you knew I was gay don’t even matter. So, just tell me, what was the exact moment that the switch flipped?”

”Justin, that isn’t true.” Lying mother fucking piece of shit.

“Was it when you realized I was a fag or when you realized that I had replaced you with someone who actually did—does---take care of me—better than you ever did.”

“Justin.”

“And fucks my brains out as well?”

”Don’t talk to me like that. I’m your father.”

“Yeah, well, not anymore.”

I never knew a cell phone could shatter into that many pieces.

********************

Everybody's high on consolation
Everybody's trying to tell me what's right for me


“Thought you were gonna stand out there all day.”

“Hey Myron.” Myron. One of the few “See the Light” success stories, if you want to call it that. Married to an ex-lesbian. Runs a museum. Dresses like he walked right out of Banana Republic. Gets his hair cut every three weeks. Trims and files his fingernails compulsively, all day long, while he works. Yeah, he’s straight. And I don’t have mood swings.

“You all right? You looked like you were about to rage against the machine out there.”

“I was having an argument with someone.”

“You want some pound cake? Janet made it.” His wife’s cooking isn’t fit for prisoners in a third world country.

“No, thank you.”

“Just gonna have your usual then?” And he thinks he’s a bartender, not a curator.

“Yeah. I’ll be back here.”

“Your secret’s safe with me.” See what I mean?

********************
Sometimes the clothes
Do not make the man


This place is almost deserted and now I know why. Half of these exhibits are being packed up. I know it’s fucked up and weird to sit on this sofa bench thing backwards and look at this painting upside down, but I noticed one day that it looks just as weird either way and sometimes I just like staring at the ceiling in here. I like the ceiling. It reminds me of the loft, only I can stare at it without Brian touching me all the time. I can’t think when he’s touching me.

I shouldn’t even be here. I should be packing. I should have a father that loves me, a little sister who doesn’t have to spend every other weekend sleeping in a different bed—a mother who doesn’t shop for shitty condoms. A boyfriend that—

A boyfriend that—

The thing about Picasso—he was so heavily influenced by the women he was in love with. One of his wives didn’t like his work—his style—so he changed it. Just started painting a different way. There's so much pain in his paintings. I like it. It feels good to me—that he could just let all of it go—all over the canvas. That’s hard to do because once you let it out, set it free, it’s so hard to bottle it back up again. Picasso let his pain, his fear, bleed out of him into his art. I can’t control mine like that. Mine consumes me.

It’s too hard to explain to anyone the amount of energy it takes to hide this from people, to stay a step ahead of where you are every second so you don’t get trapped where you don’t want to be, to be constantly creative—coming up with new ways to decline invitations to go places with friends you just met because you can’t. Because even if their car is parked in the bright sunshine at lunch, we might have to park in the deck when we get back, and what am I’m gonna do—just jump out of the car, hyperventilating? Freak them out?

And then what do I do when this person is my boss or my co-worker, and I don’t know where we’re going? I know this city inside and out. I can predict things here. I can’t do that there. I’ll be on edge, a nervous fucking wreck. Wear a sign around my neck that says: CAUTION: BEWARE OF PARKING STRUCTURES. This is a fucking disaster.

There’s an orange sticker on the bottom of this painting. That means they’re taking it away. It won’t be here when I get back. Nothing will be the same when I get back.

Fuck, nothing’s the same now.

I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get there. I don’t know what an Assistant Art Director does. If I’m just supposed to do whatever the real Art Director tells me to do, what am I gonna do if they ask me to do something I don’t know how to do? I don’t know that many graphics programs. I can’t draw for that long without shaking. Brett didn’t send me a job description. I have no clue.

Or what if it’s the other way around? What if I’m supposed to tell other people what to do? I’m twenty. I hardly look it. Who’s going to listen to me? People that have worked in the movies for years? Not likely. I should’ve asked more questions. I should’ve thought this through. I should’ve talked to someone about it.

Brian.

I love him. I don't want to be away from him, worrying about him, knowing he's never telling me the truth about anything, wondering what he's really doing.

I don’t want to leave him.

I don’t think I can.

Shit. I think I already did.

********************
BRIAN’S POV

greet me with the eyes of a child

My son and hardwood floors are not a good combination.

“DADDY!!” He runs right past me chasing the kitten. I look like an idiot, standing there, waiting for a hug. My son prefers pussy. I guess I’ll learn to deal.

“There’s a bump on his forehead. What happened?” It’s a big bump. I help Lindsay try to clear a path to the kitchen. Gus is in rare form this morning.

“He ran into the coffee table yesterday morning. Right as we were walking out the door.”

“Ouch.”

“That’s one of the side effects of living in a new place. He thinks he knows his way around, but then he miscalculates and SLAM. I put ice on it. Do you think it looks that bad? Maybe I should look at it again.”

“I’m sure it’s fine. Every kid goes through that stage. Just wait until he starts playing sports. You’ll run out of ice.” I’m going to look at it again when he slows down.

“Thanks, Brian. I needed that image in my head. I can hardly handle it when he gets hurt now. Maybe I’ll be lucky, and he won’t want to play football. Maybe he’ll want to be an artist like me or like Justin.” One vote for football. “He loves to paint, and he’s drawn you about ten pictures since you and Justin got him that cat. It’s all he talks about.” Speak of the devil. Here he comes again.

“WATCH OUT DADDY!” I grab him this time. He squirms in my arms as I hold him over my head. “Put me down! I’m having a race with Twink!”

“Not in your socks you’re not. I wanna look at this bump on your head. You hit the coffee table?” I sit him down in a kitchen chair.

“Yeah. It hurt.” Shit. It’s got a gash in it and everything.

“You can’t run in the house in your socks Gus. These floors are slippery.”

“I know.”

“Go put your shoes on before you start playing with the cat again.”

“I can’t find them Daddy.”

“Gus, they’re in your room in your closet. I told you I put them in there.” Lindsay shakes her head at him.

“Go put them on.” He glares at me like I’m the meanest Daddy in the world.

“Okay.” He sulks to his bedroom. What a little drama queen.

“That’s his new thing, Brian. ‘I can’t find this. I can’t find that.’ He’s smart as a whip.”

“Takes after his father.”

“Which ironically is why you’re here.” I should’ve seen that coming. She always gets this syrupy sweet smile on her face before she knees me in the nuts.

“I know. So what happened at school? Tell me before he gets back out here.” I guess we’re having spaghetti for lunch. I hate having spaghetti with Gus. It’s a weapon of mass destruction.

“Don’t worry. It takes him at least ten minutes to put his shoes on. He avoids it like the plague.” She’s making salad for me, I guess. Gus won’t eat salad, last time I checked. “His teacher called me Monday or Tuesday and told me that he was acting out really badly before lunch every day, which isn’t like him. She said every time they line up on the playground to go inside for lunch, he just loses it. Won’t go, screams, anything not to go. It didn’t make any sense to me, so I went to watch the next day from another classroom, where he couldn’t see me. Took me a second to figure it out.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“They line up in two lines. Girls and boys. He lines up with the girls.”

“He does?”

“And then they make him switch lines, and that’s when he loses it.”

“Why does he care who he’s in line with?”

“Because who you’re line with, is who you go into the bathroom with. And since he doesn’t pee standing up, he gets teased mercilessly. The minute he lines up, the boys start chanting: ‘Gus is a girl.’” Oh shit. “As far as he’s concerned, he’d just as soon stay with the girls. But I’d rather you help him out a little, so at least he has a choice.”

“He goes in the girls’ bathroom?” How am I gonna undo that?

“No. Their bathrooms are unisex. They just go in groups. But next year, in Kindergarten, they’re separate, and he’s gonna have a problem.”

“Okay. You made your point.”

“Don’t make him feel like what he’s doing is wrong. Just—“

“I know what to do.” I think. And why was Mel so against this?

“I have to run to the gallery to take care of one thing, so I’m gonna leave you two alone. I’ll be back probably right around his nap time. Please make sure that he takes a nap. We’re going to Jennifer’s tonight, and I don’t want him to be impossible.”

“Okay. I can handle it. It’s probably better if it’s just me and him. Wouldn’t want any girls around here for him to line up with.” She puts our lunch in the fridge and grabs her purse. “Call my cell if you need me. I take it your weekend was wonderful?”

“Unbelievable.”

“I’ll see you in a couple of hours. Good luck.” I hope I don’t need it.
********************
My child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay.
He learned to walk while I was away.


My boy is just like me. I stand in the doorway of his bedroom and watch him as he tortures the kitten. Shoeless, of course. Kinney men do not wear shoes. He’s trying to get Twink to look at herself in the mirror. He picks her up as carefully as he can and sits her on his dresser. She freaks when she sees herself in the mirror and puffs up like a porcupine. He squeals with delight. My son is a sadist. There’s hope for him yet.

“Daddy, I know you’re watching me.”

“Mommy went to work for a little bit. I’m going to stay with you for a while.” He looks at me. Twink takes the opportunity to try to figure out a way off the dresser.

“I know. She told me you were going to stay with me.”

“Good. So what are you doing in here?” In your little torture chamber.

“Playing with the cat.” Twink jumps down and bolts for the closet. She’s had enough of him for the moment. “Aw, man. She went in the closet again.” I sit down on the floor and pull him into my lap.

“Where are your shoes?”

“I don’t want to put my shoes on. I hate shoes.” He’s definitely my kid.

“Then take your socks off, so you don’t slip.” He likes that idea. He yanks them off and throws them in opposite directions. I have no idea how his teachers deal with a multitude of these little people. We lie on the floor in his room driving cars and trucks everywhere on his car mat and building things with blocks, Lincoln Logs, Legos, and anything else he has laying around.

“Okay, Daddy, this is your house. Yours and Mr. Justin’s.” Apparently we live in a skyscraper and not a very sturdy one. “And these are your people.” He hands me a boy and girl. Tells me who is who. Justin is a girl now.

“Justin is a boy. This is a girl. I need a different one.”

“I don’t have any boys with yellow hair. That’s Mr. Justin.”

Oh. My bad.

“And this is the school, and this is Mommy and Baby Jenny’s house, and this is Uncle Michael’s house, and this is the cat store, and this is the diner and Grandma Debbie.”

“Okay. Where’s your house?”

“Oh, I forgot. And this is my house. And this is your office, Daddy.” Where’s Babylon? “Okay, Daddy, now everybody go to sleep. It’s nighttime.” I put my head down and start snoring.

“NOT YOU DADDY! Your people!” He grabs me and Ms. Justin and lays us beside the skyscraper. We’re sleeping peacefully. What a crock of shit. I try to molest Ms. Justin when Gus isn’t looking, and she cold-cocks me. Bitch. “Okay, now everybody: ‘Wake up!'” He’s the town rooster. Normally Ms. Justin would blow me in the morning, but somehow I don’t think that’s appropriate right now. Anyway, she doesn’t usually want to when she’s on the rag.

“Okay, Daddy. Time for you to go to work!” He hands me a red car. Give me a minute. I’m still jerking off in the shower.

“I’m going to come pick you up and take you to school.” He hands me a yellow truck and tells me it’s for Mr. Justin.

“I’m not going to school.” I look over at his house. Yep, he’s still in bed.

“Why not?”

“I’m sick today.” Uh huh.

“Well then I’ll come over and take care of you.” I start driving my red car over to his house.

“NO! I want Mr. Justin to come take care of me. You go to work.” He steers my car in the other direction.

We need to build an airport. “Mr. Justin can’t come take care of you. He’s going to California. He’s going to his new job, to work in the movies. Remember?”

“I know. I drew him a picture. You wanna see it?”

“Sure.” He goes over to his little desk and pulls out about fifty sheets of paper and brings them over. He’s been busy. So maybe my kid’s a little like me and a lot like Justin. “You draw like Mr. Justin.”

“Yep. This one’s for him. This is the mouse in the kitchen with Grandma Debbie. She’s scared of the mouse.” He hands me that one. “This one’s the cat store.” I’m glad he’s telling me what these pictures are because I sure as hell would have no clue. “This is you carrying Twink and me in the cart.” A moment I’ll always treasure.

“What’s this one?” Looks like a big brown square.

“That’s the box of kittens!” Right. “And this one’s for you Daddy.” I’m at a loss. “This is you and Mr. Justin kissing, and this is me. See, you’re holding me. And this is the night. And this is the moon. And this is the box of kittens. I had to put it on the back ‘cause I ran out of room.” I flip it back over and look at me and Mr. Justin kissing. His head is three times the size of mine, but I’m twice as tall. Gus looks like a little monkey in a leather jacket hanging off of me. He got that part right.

“That’s a really nice picture. You did a good job.”

“Yeah, I’m an artist.” Yeah, I guess he is. He notices everything, an inherited trait, apparently. I look up to see Twink peering out of the closet. She has perfect timing. I tap Gus’ arm and point so he notices that she’s peeking out.

“GET HER DADDY! GET HER!” I’ve never dived for pussy so fast in my life. God, I feel for this kitten.

“Come on, Gus. Let’s go into the living room.” I thought a change of scenery would quell the artist in him, but I was wrong. He plops down beside me on the couch with his “My First Sketchpad” and a box of crayons that I’m sure Justin gave him and proceeds to inform me of his intentions.

“Okay. Be still Daddy. I’m going to draw your picture.” If Justin ever lets me touch him again, I’m going to strangle him.

“Wouldn’t you rather play with the kitten?” Even I’m all for torturing the cat now.

“In a minute. Stop moving.” Justin was right. He’s bossy as hell. Like father, like boyfriend, like bossy little artist. I lay my head back against the back of the couch and close my eyes. “I’m gonna use a lot of colors, Daddy, but not yellow ‘cause you don’t have yellow hair like Mr. Justin.”

No, I sure don’t. I can feel Twink walking back and forth between Gus and I as I sit for “My First Portrait.” I can’t wait to see this. Although something tells me I may be asleep before he’s done.

I think Twink has the same idea. She’s decided that the safest place to be right now is in my lap. I don’t have the heart to tell her how wrong she is, especially today. Although I do feel something for her that feels vaguely like affection, but I think that’s just because she’s kneading my balls. If I can’t have Justin right now, I’ll settle for this.

Now that I think about it, Justin and Twink have a lot in common. They’re both small, young, warm, and cute. They both have beautiful eyes and shiny hair. They both like to be between my legs.

And, son of a bitch, they both have claws.

********************

Lunch is spaghetti and frustration.

“Gus, stop worrying about what Twink is doing and worry about finishing your lunch.”

“I can’t see her. I don’t know where she is.” I’m going to put whiskey in his sippy cup.

“She’s under your chair. Eat.” Okay, that’s the third time his cup has fallen on the floor. “Gus!”

“Daddy, you’re grouchy.”

“I’m tired. Please stop worrying about the cat and just eat your spaghetti.”

“You need to take a nap.”

“I plan to. So how’s school?”

“Fine.”

“So you like it?”

“I like my friends.” God, he’s worse than me. It’s like pulling teeth.

“Who are you’re friends?”

“Um, Rachel, Bethany, Haley, and Jessica, and sometimes Amanda.”

“Sometimes Amanda? Why only sometimes?”

“She likes to play with the boys a lot.” He couldn’t get more spaghetti on his shirt if he tried.

“Oh. And you don’t?”

“No. They’re mean to me. And if I want to play with them, they make me be the dog all the time. I don’t want to be the dog. Haley and Rachel let me be the daddy. Like you.” I’m gonna beat the shit out of those boys.

“You like to be the daddy, huh?” He nods, his mouth full of pasta.

“I’m done with my ‘sghetti.”

********************
I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine


I yank his spaghetti-soaked shirt off over his head before he even gets up from the table.

“I’m gonna get some ‘jamas for my nap.”

“You can just put on another shirt Gus.”

“No. I want ‘jamas.” He leaves me in the kitchen to clean up the spaghetti explosion. He’s stark naked in the kitchen five minutes later.

“What are you doing?” He’s too much like me.

“I can’t find my Blue’s Clues ‘jamas.”

“Wear a different pair then.”

“No. I want Blue’s Clues.” I stare at him knowing damn well that I’d order him to go find another pair right now were this any other day before any other naptime, but I need his cooperation today. We need each other.

“That’s not the way Mommy does it.”

Okay.

If you had told me that last Sunday I’d wake up this Sunday to guzzle champagne, tell Justin I loved him sort of by accident, be betrayed by my own dick, and then be supervised by my naked four-year-old son while I loaded the dishwasher, I would’ve told you that whatever you were smoking wasn’t strong enough.

“Yeah, well, this is exactly how Mr. Justin does it.” That shut him up. “Come on, let’s go find your pajamas.”

“I know where they are Daddy. I just can’t reach them.” He’s going to drive me up a wall. He points to a box in the top of his closet. “They’re in there.” I pull the box down and sit it on the floor. He flips the lid open and finds them right away. “These are my favorite ‘jamas!” I shake my head at him. Whatever. My son picky about what clothes he wears. Never saw that coming.

He starts to put them on, and I realize immediately why they were in a box in the top of his closet. I truly am an absentee father, even when I’m standing right in front of him.

“Gus, those are way too small for you.” He looks like an orphan.

“No, they’re not.”

“Yes, they are.” Lindsay’s going to kill me. He looks like Justin in his midriff t-shirt at Michael’s snooty political party that time.

“I want to wear them.” Fine. In the grand scheme of things, does this really matter?

“Okay, you can wear them this one time, but after this nap, they go back in the box. Let’s go use the bathroom before we read stories.”

Showtime.

To be honest, I never thought this through, how to teach Gus how to take a piss. I just figured it would come naturally to him. I don’t remember anyone ever showing me. He’s four now, though, and he’ll remember this—unfortunately. The only thing I can think of to do is to beat him to the punch. This is too weird.

“Come on Gus.” He follows me down the hall in his high waters. For some reason, I feel like dead man walking. I try to just focus on what I’m doing when I get to the bathroom—putting the seat up, unzipping my jeans, god help me, pulling it out—it’s not like he hasn’t seen me do this before. I know he has. I think he has. He has? Hasn’t he? Please let this work. My dick better not betray me twice in one day.

“Gus, do you have to go?” Such an intense stare for such a little guy.

“Daddy?”

“Hmm?” I might have to run water. This is gonna be harder than I thought.

“Why is your penis so big?” Okay……fuck……no need to panic. That’s a logical question.

“Because I’m a big person. When you get bigger, your penis gets bigger.” That made sense, right? He’s walking around me now to get a different view. This is way worse than the trolls in the backroom. Jesus, don’t think about that right now.

“Are you scared of it, Daddy?” You have no idea---this morning---perfect example. Scared the mother fucking shit out of me. Has a mind of it’s own sometimes. Like right now, when I wish it would just piss.

“There’s nothing to be scared of, Gus.” Oh my god, urine. God bless urine. I have never been so relieved in my entire life. “Why don’t you see if you have to go?” He’s looking at me like I’m an alien. Believe me, Sonny Boy, I feel like one.

“I sit down.”

“Why don’t you see if you can stand up, like Daddy? This is how daddies pee.” Damn, that was good thinking.

“It is?”

“Yep. All daddies pee like this—standing up. Let’s see you try.” Come on Gus. You can do it.

“Does Mr. Justin pee standing up?” Uh, yes?

“Yes.” It was okay to answer that, right?

“Is Mr. Justin a daddy?” Uh, shit.

“No, but he wants to be one someday, so he’s practicing.” Brilliant Kinney. That was fucking brilliant.

“I want to be a daddy too.”

“Well, you better start practicing, so you’ll be ready.”

“Okay.” Yes.

So it takes him a minute, and I had to run water and we have a long discussion about aiming, but he manages to pull it off pretty well. The smile on his face when he saw the smile on mine made the rest of my shitty day not even matter anymore.

“You did it, Gus—on your first try. Way to go.”

“Yep. I’m a daddy, just like you.” He washes his hands and dries them off. I bend down and give him a hug, holding him in front of me.

“Do you think you can do that at school with the other boys, be just like Daddy?”

“The boys won’t let me be the daddy at school. Haley and Bethany will and sometimes Amanda. I can pee like a daddy with them.” Right. He wiggles out of my arms and runs back to his room to pick out the books he wants to read.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. I guess it’s time to go back to school.

***************
EMMETT’S POV

nowhere to run,
nowhere to hide


I don’t know why anyone would come to this museum when over half of the exhibits are gone. This is ridiculous. And, to top it all off, Little Boy Lost is nowhere to be found.

Mission impossible. Sunshine is out of pocket.

Abort. Abort. Abort.

I really don’t want to walk into this bathroom and look for him because god help me if I find him in there. What the hell am I gonna say to him then? Oh, hi Justin. I just came by to be sure you were getting your rocks off at the museum like everyone thinks you are. Well, sure looks like you are, so, ta-ta!

“Can I help you?”

“JESUS, DON’T SNEAK UP ON SOMEBODY LIKE THAT! YOU SCARED THE PISS OUT OF ME!”

“Well, you seem to be lurking around the men’s room, and I don’t like fellas lurking around the bathrooms in my museum. I’d appreciate it if you’d leave.”

The nerve of this hot…piece of… man-meat… talking to me like this.

“I’ll have you know that I am not lurking around outside your men’s room. I’m looking for a very good friend of mine that just so happens to be going through a very difficult time right now. How dare you insinuate that I’m cruising in your establishment!”

Although I am cruising you honey. Right here, right now.

“There aren’t many people here. I’m sure you would’ve seen your friend by now. I’ll show you out.” Pushy hunk of burning love, isn’t he?

“Okay, look. We got off on the wrong foot here. My name’s Emmett. Emmett Honeycutt. Here’s my card.”

“You’re a caterer?” Seems interested now.

“Sure am.” Flash that smile, Emmett. Work it.

“Name’s Myron.” Strong handshake. “My wife can’t cook for shit. I’ll hang on to this.” He’s married? No ring. Damn fine dresser, manicured hands, bleached teeth. Time to upgrade the gaydar.

“Fabulous. Listen, I’m looking for a friend of mine who’s supposed to be here. Justin Taylor. I think his mom spoke to you earlier.”

“Oh, Picasso? Yeah, he was here.”

“Was?” Oh shit.

“Yeah, he’s across the street now. At the coffee shop. You can only hang upside down for so long, you know?” True. He’s not a bat.

“Thank you so much. And listen, you call me if you ever get tired…..of your wife’s cooking.” Big smile, cute wave.

“Will do.” I hope my new cell phone number’s on that card.

********************

this boy’s too young to be singing the blues

And there he is. The Muffin Man. I’m glad I wasted ten dollars on a dozen donuts so I could find him in a coffee shop stuffing a blueberry muffin in his face. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him unshaven before. He looks so much older and that is not the way I told him to wear that shirt. My work is never done.

“This seat taken?” In the back corner by the window. Nice view.

“Emmett?” In the flesh. “What are you doing here?” Could ask you the same thing. Don’t need to ask me to sit down ‘cause I’m gonna do it anyway.

“Went to your Mom’s to help you get ready for Hollywood, and you were nowhere to be found. She told me you’d probably be at the museum.”

“She has a big mouth.”

“No, she’s just worried about you. That hottie at the museum told me you had relocated over here.”

“Myron?”

“Is that his name? The guy who runs the place?” He’s laughing at me.

“He’s ‘seen the light’ Emmett. You better watch out.” Oh good lord. I gave that man my card. “So tell me, how was your weekend?” I’m dying to know.

“Like a fairytale.”

“I knew it!” A dream come true.

“Only without the ‘happily ever after.’”

Chapter 17-Expectations-Brian/Alternate OC POV by plumsuede

BRIAN’S POV

********************
Who you are
Is who you are!
Your endless tricks,
Your vintage car.
Do you love these more than me?
Would you rather just be free?


Shut the fuck up, my little Suess mister.

“Brian? Brian. Don’t move. I’m trying to unbutton your shirt.” Huh? Why are you whispering?

“If you’re going to take my hand out of my pants, Sunshine, you better be putting yours back in it.” God, my neck hurts.

Whisper Brian. Be still.” Fine. Whatever.

I drove your car in the rain.
I have to leave you on a plane.
I guess there’s nothing left to say,
Tomorrow I fly far away!


“Huh!” Shit!

“Don’t move. You’re gonna get hurt.”

“Lindsay?” Shit. Wrong blonde.

“Ssshhh. The kitten is stuck inside your shirt. You fell asleep with Gus. I’ve almost got her out. Be still.” Oh shit.

“Did you just take my hand out of my pants?”

“Pretend I didn’t, and you’ll feel better.” Yeah, no shit. “I hope you have more than one of this shirt. It’s a little snagged. She panicked when she woke up.” That makes two of us.

“Yeah, two or three.”

No wonder I dreamed that Justin was sucking on my nipples, that his tongue was really rough and scratchy. I was kind of liking it. She frees Twink who looks like she’s seen a ghost.

“Be careful when you get up. Don’t wake him up. He needs to sleep for a least another hour.”

So do I.

I follow her back out to the living room. Twink glares at me from her arms. I glare back.

“So how many times did he make you read Green Eggs and Ham?” She thinks I’m such a pushover.

“Once. I only read it once. Apparently, not even all the way through. I don’t let him run the show, Linds.”

Right. That’s why he’s sleeping in those old pajamas and his leather jacket. He looks like the ring leader of an Oliver Twist street gang.”

“Yeah, whatever. He peed standing up.” So there.

“You’re kidding?! He did! Oh Brian, thank you!” Quit hugging me. Jesus.

“Yeah, he did. On his first try, too. I was pretty proud of him. Only—“

“Only what?”

“Only he thinks that boys pee standing up because they’re fathers, not because they’re boys.” She’s the second person today to look at me like I’m an alien. Well, the third, really, if you count Justin.

Okay. Why?”

“It’s a long story. Do they let parents come eat lunch with their kids at his school? I was wondering if I could do that.”

“Sure. Parents do it all the time.” I wish she’d quit looking at me like that.

“What time to do they eat lunch?”

“Eleven forty-five on the dot.”

“That early? Who in hell eats lunch that early?”

“Large groups of small children who need to nap.”

“Right. Well, I could probably come one day this week—Wednesday or later. Just tell me what I need to do to set it up. I just think I need to be with him in that setting. I don’t think doing it here is going to be a problem.” She hands me a magnet with the school’s phone number on it. I guess I’m officially a father now. She hugs me again and kisses me on the cheek as I walk out the front door.

“Better be careful, Brian. That anti-Dad armor might be starting to chip.” I roll my eyes at her. “We’ll see you tonight.”

“Gus drew some pictures for Justin. Make sure that—“

“We’ll bring them. Don’t worry.”

Yeah really, I’ve got enough to worry about.

********************
stop in the name of love
before you break my heart


There are no cars in Jennifer’s driveway, which is either a good thing or a bad thing. I’m not really sure. She looks more than a little surprised to see me, but then relieved.

“Hey, Brian. Come in.”

“Hey.” I nod toward the stairs. “He here?” Seems awfully quiet. All of a sudden I know the answer before I ask the question.

“No. I was hoping you were him when I heard a car pull up.”

“Oh. I thought—he told me—he was coming here to pack.”

“He was here a few hours ago.” She’s studying my face which I’m trying to keep as blank as possible. “But then he left all of a sudden.”

“Okay. Well, I’ll just—“ I step back toward the door, my hand gripping the doorknob a little too hard.

“He wasn’t even here for fifteen minutes.” Fifteen minutes? Okay.

“Do you know where he went?” I sound so fucking desperate. Not like she hasn’t seen me like this before. What the fuck does it matter?

“I think he’s at the museum with Emmett. Emmett came by shortly after he left.” He’s with Emmett. Okay. Good.

“I should get to the loft, start packing his things.” Her hand is on my arm. She smells like cookie dough. My mother never smelled like cookie dough—more like liquor and cigarettes disguised by some hideous perfume.

“What happened? You know when you talked to him about the hospital? Is that why he’s upset?” Shit. I turn around and look at her face; she’s worried sick.

“No, not really.” Fuck, I don’t know. “I talked to him though.”

“And?” She pulls me back inside and closes the door. I let the door close behind me and sit with her in the kitchen.

“There’s a reason he’s skipping his appointments. It’s just not the reason we thought.”

“Well, then what? What is it?” He should be telling her this, not me.

“I ended up having an accidental, long talk with Daphne yesterday, which led to my long talk with him.”

*********************
OFC POV—TINA THE WAITRESS

someday we’ll be together

earlier today


It’s slow today, which is pretty much par for the course on a Sunday, especially a cloudy Sunday like this one. We’re so much busier during the week when all of the offices around here are open and people are in and out for lunch. I don’t mind it when it’s slow because I just sit here behind the counter and doodle. It’s stupid, but it passes the time. Today I’m trying to draw a side view of the cash register. It’s one of those old timey ones. We don’t use it, but it’s still behind the counter. I like it. I’ll bet it’s really collectible, bet you could get a shit load for it on ebay.

Yesterday, I drew a pretty good picture of Luther while he was cooking. He didn’t even know I was doing it. I might show it to him. I haven’t decided yet. I’m not sure if I like it enough. Maybe I’ll work on it a little more and give it to him for his birthday or Christmas or something. He’s always so nice to me. I’d ask Marie for her opinion on it, but she’d just go and blab to Luther that I drew a picture of him. Marie can’t keep a secret. She’s not like me, I can keep secrets. I know a lot of things that I don’t tell anybody.

People come in this “diner posing as a coffee shop” for a lot of different reasons. Most people come here because they want something. They want something to eat, to drink, they want companionship, or a way to kill some time. Or like Luther, who’s been cooking here for over twenty years, they want a place where they feel like they fit in, a place where they’re not rejected, a place where people respect them. Marie, my counterpart—if you could call someone who’s more than twice my age with no personal hygiene my counterpart--well, she just wants Luther. And Big Mac, Willis, according to his mother, he just wants attention. He’s never gonna get that here. Then again, Luther says that he really wants me, but if he does, he’s sure got a funny way of showing it. Me? I want a little bit of spending money for the mall when I hang with out with my friends, and more than anything else—

I want him.

He doesn’t want anything when he comes here. He comes here because he needs to.

He always leaves his car parked in the museum parking lot when he walks over here, just like he’s doing now. Always stops on the yellow line in the middle of the four lane road in between the museum and this “lame ass excuse for a coffee shop because it’s really just a diner” and looks back and forth three times before crossing all the way. I’ve been watching him do this for almost a year. His sketch pad is always tucked under his arm. He always has at least three pencils in his hand.

There’s something about him that looks different today.

“You know, I talked to him once.” She talked to him once. Marie. No way. She’s like fifty-something with badly dyed hair and coffee stained teeth. No fair.

“You’re kidding me? You talked to him?” She’s smacking her gum right in my ear. I hate that.

“Sure did. He asked me to sharpen his pencils once.” I wish she’d quit filing her fingernails over the food prep area. That’s disgusting.

“When? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well, I guess I just forgot or you wasn’t working that day or something. I don’t know. It was months ago, anyway.” Months ago? And she’s just now telling me?

He just walked in the door. He’s wearing my favorite jeans and a shirt I’ve never seen. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him wear a dress shirt like that before.

“Tell me, Marie. Tell me right now. Tell me everything.”

“There ain’t much to tell, Tina.”

He’s sitting down at his favorite booth in the back corner, just like always. I’m gonna swoon myself to death.

Tell me right now.”

“Good lord, girl. Fine. I was refillin’ his coffee or something, and he was drawing. You know, just like he always is—“

“Right, right.”

“And I said, ‘can I get you anything else, honey?’”

“Right.”

“And he said, ‘I don’t suppose you have a pencil sharpener in the back, do you?’”

“Get out, Marie.” She got to touch his pencils.

“I ain’t makin’ this up, girl. So, I said, ‘yeah, we sure do. Boss does the books in pencil.’ And then he asked me if he could use it, and I told him to just give them to me, and I’d sharpen them for him. So he did, and then he left me a five dollar tip. Biggest tip I ever got in this place from just one person.”

“You’re a total bitch for just now telling me that Marie.”

“I didn’t think about it, girl. I swear.”

He’s starting to draw right now, looking out the window like he always does. Only the thing is, he doesn’t draw what’s out the window. It took me a long time to figure that out because when I draw, I look at what I’m drawing. He doesn’t have to do that. He’ll stare out the window for awhile, and then he’ll put pencil to paper and something amazing will end up on the page. It’s really cool to watch. Sometimes I’ll pretend to be clearing off the table behind him just so I can watch him over his shoulder.

“I’m tellin’ you right now, Tina, that boy’s a fag.” Oh god, I thought Big Mac was in the walk-in unloading today’s delivery.

“Shut up, Big Mac.” Asshole.

“Yeah, Big Mac. Shut up. Ain’t nobody talkin’ to you.” You tell him Marie.

“Oh my god. Look at him, Marie. He’s beautiful. Don’t you think he looks beautiful today?” I wish I knew his name. He looks like he didn’t shave or something. That’s so hot.

“Only if you think faggots are beautiful.” That’s it.

Shut up, Big Mac. Go take the trash out or something. Leave us alone.”

“That’s not my job.” That’s not my job.

“Luther!”

“Go take the trash out, Willis.” He’ll listen to Luther. He’s scared of him.

“Fuck you, bitches. And don’t call me Willis, Luther. My name’s ‘Big Mac.’” Yeah, like he gets a lot of street cred with a name like ‘Big Mac.’

“Not until you work at Mac-Donald’s, boy. Go take out the trash and leave those girls alone.”

“Thank you, Luther.” You want something done around here, ask Luther.

“Well, I guess I better go over there and take his order.” He’s in Marie’s section today. Just my luck.

***************************
take a chance on me

I watch her take his order. He’s facing this way, so I can see his face. He’s not smiling much, though. Not as much as usual. All he ordered was coffee. Guess Marie’s not getting a very big tip today.

“I’m gonna go over there and refill his coffee, Marie.”

“He’s in my section Tina. I’m not just gonna let you go over there and take my customer.” Oh, come on, Marie.

Please, Marie. He hasn’t been in here in like for--ever. This might be my big chance.”

“Okay, but the only reason I’m doing this is because you’re a young girl, and like Ms. Whitney Houston says, ‘I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and help them lead the way. Show them all the—‘“

“We get it Marie. You’re the next Whitney Houston.” No wonder we don’t have any customers in here. “What’s he drinking? Leaded or unleaded?”

“Shit, I don’t remember. I just take both. Man, these pantyhose are riding up my ass today.”

“You suck, Marie.” And she’s makes a dollar more an hour than I do. That’s just wrong.

“And I swallow too, honey. Ain’t that right, Luther?”

“Huh?”
*************************
You are an obsession
You're my obsession


He’s really concentrating on whatever he’s working on. He’s right-handed and his left hand always lays over his other pencils, like he’s afraid they’re gonna roll off the table or something. It’s really sweet, actually. He’s so focused. I hate to even interrupt him. It’s just that he hasn’t been in here in weeks. He was coming here almost every Sunday for a while and then about a month ago, he just quit. I wasn’t even sure if I’d even see him again. And then today, here he is out of the blue, looking so much older, so different, so………sad almost. He’s pushed his coffee cup out of the way. I guess that’s my cue. Deep breath. You can do this. He won’t bite.

“Need a refill?”

I’ve never seen a guy who can draw like he can. He’s amazing. I’m not even sure what he’s drawing right now. Looks like a bed with those poles on it. I’ve always wanted a bed like that. What do you call those things?

“Sure.”

He’s not looking at my double coffee pot gesture here. Guess I’ll have to ask.

“What’re you drinking?”

“Oh, sorry. The hard stuff.”

I’m gonna faint if he smiles at me like that again. I’ve never seen anyone with such beautiful blue eyes. They’re the exact same color as the bottom of my Aunt Sheila’s above ground pool---when it’s clean.

“I don’t mean to be nosy or anything, but you draw really well.” I can draw, but nothing like him.

“Huh?” Shut up, Tina, he’s not even listening to you.

“I said you draw really well. I’ve seen you in here before, drawing and stuff.”

“Oh, thank you. It’s a bit of an obsession with me, actually.” You’re a bit of an obsession for me. Whoa.

“What’re you drawing?” What a dumb question.

“Oh, this? It’s just a bed.”

“Looks like a fancy bed to me.” ‘A fancy bed to me.’ What a stupid thing to say.

“Yeah, I guess it is.” He’s so cute when he laughs. “It was in a hotel suite. It was pretty fancy.” Oh.

“Is that what you do? Housekeeping in a hotel?” Does he look like someone who makes beds for a living, Tina?

My face is so red. He’s laughing at me. I think.

“No, I’m an artist, actually.” Of course you are. Tina, you dumbass. “And I work at a diner, very similar to this one.” He does? Get out.

“It’s a nice picture. I mean even though it’s a messy bed.” Why do I let these words come out of my mouth?

To see him smile like that, that’s why. I’d do anything for that.

“Yeah, it is kind of a mess isn’t it? Sometimes I think that there’s a quiet beauty in ordinary, everyday things, you know? Like a bed like this, or a jacket hanging on the back of a door.”

Or you, sitting in this dump of a diner that pretends to pose as a coffee shop all by yourself drawing a picture of an unmade bed. That’s quietly beautiful.

“I know what you mean. Sometimes I look at all of these cups of coffee I pour every day, and one of them will look like it means something, you know? Like it goes on forever.”

“I’ve drawn many cups of coffee in my life. Believe me.” We’ve both drawn cups of coffee. We have something in common.

“Yo! Tina! You’ve got other customers!” You’re a dead man, Big Mac. A dead man.

“I’ve, um---can I get you anything else?”

“Actually, a blueberry muffin would be great.”

He wants me to get him a blueberry muffin. He wants me to get him a blueberry muffin. He’s never asked me to get him anything before. This is the first time. Oh my god. I should turn around and leave the table now. Turn around. Move your feet, you idiot. The man wants a blueberry muffin. Go get him one. Now. Go. Do it. What are you waiting for? Move your ass.

“I’ll be right back with that muffin for you.”

“Great.”

Ohmygod. Ohmygod. Ohmygod. Ohmygod.

****************************
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.


Luther better have made some blueberry muffins today. I’m not going to go tell him that he has to pick another kind of muffin. Then he’ll just think I’m an idiot for not knowing what kind of muffins we’re serving today in the first place. Oh god, he works in a diner. He’ll know there’s no excuse for not knowing the kind of muffins we have today. If we don’t have any blueberry muffins, my life is officially over.

“Luther, please tell me we have some blueberry muffins!”

“I’m pulling them out of the oven right now.” I have never loved Luther more than I do right now at this very moment.

“I need the biggest one you’ve got. The best one in the whole bunch on the cleanest plate in this place.”

“For who, the Pope?”

“No, for—“

“For the faggot, Luther. She needs a muffin for the faggot.”

“Shut the fuck up, Big Mac.”

He can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, but I’m telling you girl, that boy fucks a man…..” Oh, that’s just hilarious, Big Mac. Just hilarious.

“Does your mother wear Enjoli Big Mac? She’s probably had the same bottle since nineteen seventy-five. He’s not gay. Just because he dresses nicely, has nice hair, is polite---"

“Draws pictures of naked men—"

“He does not!”

“Oh yes, he does Tina. I’ve seen ‘em. I’m telling you girl, your little boyfriend is a fudge packer.”

“All right, both of you, that’s enough! The customers are going to hear you. Tina, your little boy’s gonna hear you. Go take him his muffin. And you, Willis, if I hear you say one more ugly word about him, you’ll be outside picking up garbage for the rest of your shift.” Luther’s pissed now.

“What you need, Tina, is someone like me, someone like Big Mac here. They call me ‘Big Mac’ because I have a special sauce just for the la-dies.” Big Mac’s the poster child for birth control.

“Did you hear me, Willis?” Luther’s ‘bout had it with Big Mac today and we’re not even done with lunch.

“Yes.”

“Then shut up, boy. I’m tired of listening to you run your mouth.”
********************

If I can’t have you
I don’t want nobody baby


I feel ridiculously proud of this blueberry muffin that I’m carrying over to him right now. Never in my life have I felt proud of a muffin. I need to have my head examined.

“Here’s your muffin. And I brought you some extra butter because I didn’t know if you wanted butter or not, so I figured I’d just go ahead and bring you some now, so if you needed it you’d already have it, you know?”

“Thanks.”

“Plus, this is a really big muffin. It was like the biggest one back there. And Luther just made them. It came straight out of the oven. Straight out. It’s still warm. See? Feel it?”

Oh my god, I’m a fucking spaz. I just felt his muffin.

“It’s great. Thank you.”

Walk away. Walk away.

“Okay, well if you need anything else, just…. I mean, I’ll just check back in a minute and see if you need anything else.”

“Okay.”

Leave. Now.

“You don’t need any more coffee yet, do you?” Just shut up, Tina. Shut up. “Cause I can get you some right now, if you need it.”

“No really, I’m fine. Maybe in a few minutes.”

He wants me to check back in a few minutes.

How many minutes is a few? I can’t remember.

Shit. I can’t remember.

“Okay. Enjoy your muffin.”

“Thanks. Hey, wait a minute.” Oh shit. There’s something wrong with his muffin.

“Yeah?”

“I was just wondering. Do you know if they’re gonna close this place down or something?” Close this place down? Why?

“I don’t think so. Why?” They better not do that. I’ll never see you again. Oh god. Don’t say that. Don’t even think it.

“I was just wondering. I haven’t been here in weeks, but it’s never this dead on a Sunday. I was just at the museum, and a bunch of the exhibits are being pulled. It just seems like this area of town is shutting down, you know?” You know, he’s right. I never even pay attention to stuff like that. The dry cleaners next to us closed two weeks ago, and the florist a block down is closing at the end of the month. I know because one of my friends works there. I never thought about this place shutting down.

“Gee, I don’t know. No one’s said anything to me. I just work here, you know? I’m just the help.” And apparently incapable of making intelligent conversation.

“Right. Well, I hope not. I’m really gonna miss this place. It’ll totally suck if it’s gone too when I get back. Thanks.”

Get back? Where are you going?

*******************
It’s in his kiss.

I’ve never seen this man that just walked in here, this guy that’s sitting down with him. Nobody ever comes and sits with him when he’s here. He’s always alone. He wants to be alone. Why would anybody bother him? I want to just walk over there and tell that guy to leave—but he looks happy to see him, sort of, I guess. Shit.

“Don’t look now Tina, but there’s your boyfriend’s boyfriend.” No. No way. “What’d I tell you?”

“Get away from me, Big Mac. Your breath reeks.”

He just kissed him. I’ve never even seen this guy before, and he just walks right in and kisses him.

“Ha! See, I was right! Walked right in and kissed him.” I wish Big Mac could be quiet for just one fucking minute.

“Willis, go finish breakin’ down those boxes in the storage room like I told you to half an hour ago.” You know he isn’t going to listen to you, Luther.

“I’ll go, now that every single one of you knows I’m right.”

He’s not right. He can’t be right. There’s no way he’s right.

“Luther, when you see Marie, tell her I’m taking my break now.” I can’t watch this.

“I’ll make you some scrambled eggs and an English muffin, honey, on the house. I’ll bring it to you.” He’s so nice to me. Shit, here comes Marie.

“You should see what he whipped up for me last night, girl. Ain’t that right, Luther?”

“Get some help, Marie.”

*******************************

I always feel like somebody’s watching me

If I had any sense in my head, I’d go take my break in the back like I usually do. I wouldn’t be sitting here right behind him in this empty booth, pretending to read my stupid romance novel, trying to eavesdrop on his conversation with his “boyfriend.”

“What do you mean ‘no happily ever after’? You were dressed for the occasion. That I know, for sure.”

“It’s a long story.”


“I’ve got all afternoon, sweetie. Start talking. And get me a waiter. I need a double non-fat caramel macchiato with three extra pumps of caramel right this minute.”

Yeah, well, um, we don’t have that here, dude. This isn’t a real coffee shop.

“I don’t even know where to start, Em.”

“Well, then, start at the beginning. When I last saw you yesterday, you were smiling so much, I thought your face was going to stick that way. I mean, you almost pushed the three of us into that elevator, if you know what I mean.”

“Here’s your eggs and English muffin, Tina. Hot and just the way you like them.” Shit, I missed what he said after that.

“Thanks Luther.”

“Do you want me to warm up your coffee?” He’s being so nice to me today.

“Sure.” I don’t want to get up.

“I wish I had a rich, gorgeous boyfriend to model for, like you do.”

That guy’s not his boyfriend.

”It’s not always everything it’s cracked up to be, Em.”

So he has a boyfriend. A rich boyfriend.

”Well, honey, what’s wrong. What happened? What are you doing at this sorry excuse FOR A COFFEE SHOP when you should be at home packing for L.A.? You’ve got a plane to catch tomorrow morning? Or have you forgotten?”

Which means…..……he is gay.

Oh god, he’s gay.

And he’s really leaving.

Oh god, he’s really leaving.

”No, I haven’t forgotten. I’m not an idiot.”

No, you’re not the idiot.

I am.

I can’t listen to this.

”Honey, I’m sorry. I’m not trying to upset you. Tell me what happened.”

”I’m not sure I know what happened, Emmett. I fucked up. I left him there.”

I can’t believe I made such a fool out of myself.

”Okay, okay, sweetie, before you get all worked up, just give me a minute. I think I’ve got just the thing. I’ll be right back. Just sit tight.”

I can’t believe I’ve been watching him come in here for almost a year---waiting all this time just to get up the nerve to talk to him---

Oh god.

“Want some company, sweetheart?” Marie. “Hey, are you okay? You look like you’re crying.”

“I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine. You haven’t touched your lunch.”

“Marie, I can’t explain okay. I just have to go.”

“Go?”

“I just have to. I’m sorry.”

I have to get out of here. Right now.

********************
…………..wipeout…………….

“Honey, honey, I am so, so sorry, this is all my fault. I don’t know what is taking Justin so long. Just don’t move, okay? I don’t want you to move it until we get a first aid kit out here.”

His name is Justin.

I’m so embarrassed. I’ve wanted to meet him forever but not like this—sprawled on a sidewalk in a twisted waitress’ uniform with a throbbing, bleeding ankle and a huge run in my pantyhose. Although, his friend is pretty funny. He’s freaking out, keeps talking to himself. This is all my fault. I’ve hurt the poor little thing. It’s not all his fault. We just ran smack into each other when I was running out the door, and he was running back in with his box full of donuts. It was pretty funny, actually—after he helped me back onto the sidewalk. I think I’ve twisted my ankle and scraped it pretty bad. He kind of pushed me off the curb. My foot’s bleeding underneath my pantyhose. That’s so attractive. He’s getting antsy waiting for Justin.

Justin--what a beautiful name.

“Let me see what’s taking him so long.” Every time you open the door to this place, the smell just hits you. This sidewalk is cold as hell. “Justin! What’s taking so long?”

”This guy can’t hear me, Emmett. I think he’s got headphones on or something.”

“Tell him his name is Big Mac and to just walk back there. Just go in the kitchen. He’ll see Luther.”

“Justin, she says just go back there yourself. Guy named Luther in the kitchen. Get it yourself.”

”That’s what I’m doing. What an idiot.”

“Okay, he’s coming sweetie. What’s your name?”

“Tina.”

“Emmett. Nice to meet you. Wish it could have been under-- Oh, look here he is. Finally.”

“That Big Mac guy’s a moron, but I found it--ice and a first aid kit.”

“Yeah, he is.”

“Okay, I thought I heard you wrong the first time, honey. You really said his name was Big Mac?” This Emmett guy is so………. tall.

“Do you think I could make that up?”

“Good point.”

“I’m Justin. Don’t think we’ve been formally introduced.” Oh god, I’m blushing.

“Yeah, I’m waitress. I mean, my name’s Tina.” I can’t even get my name right. He’s looking at my bleeding foot. He’s touching me. Oh my god. I’m going to faint.

“And now you’re my patient. You’ve probably sprained your ankle. What did you two do to each other?”

“We bumped into each other. It was my fault. I wasn’t looking where I was going. I had my head down.” Feeling sorry for myself because you’re so cute, and you don’t like girls. Please don’t stop touching me.

“And I had my head in a box of donuts, which is now a box of one giant smashed donut. But, lucky for us, it all tastes the same. Here.” Emmett just fed me a piece of our donut disaster. Mmmm, it’s good.

“Well, you must have slipped off the curb to cut your foot like this too.” He just cut my pantyhose off with scissors. Shit, I didn’t shave my legs this morning.

“Justin, I ran into her. Look at me and look at her. She’s a little tiny thing. She’s lucky she’s not on the way to the hospital with a bunch of broken bones. Apparently, I don’t know my own strength.”

“You’ll have to pardon Emmett, Tina. He can get a little hysterical sometimes.”

Bitch. I’m sorry you had to hear that honey.” Oh my god, these two.

“My sister sprains her ankle like this all the time. She plays club soccer. I’m just going to put a bandage over this cut and then wrap it. There’s no way you’re waiting tables any more today.” I wasn’t planning on it anyway. I was planning on going somewhere to sulk. I certainly wasn’t planning on sitting on this cold sidewalk right after I found out that you are actually gay as blazes while you wrap my hurt ankle, and your flaming sidekick feeds me pieces of smashed donuts. Oh my god, you’re my hero.

“Here, sweetie. Have some more. These have rainbow sprinkles. Or at least they did.” These must be from The Donut Hole. It’s right down the street.

“Thanks.”

“Tina? What happened to you? What’s going on?” Big Mac.

“Nothing, Big Mac. Go back inside.” Don’t ruin the one moment I’ll ever have with the guy I’ll never have, okay?

“Oh, look it’s ‘Quarter Pounder.’” I’d like to see Big Mac jump this Emmett guy. That would be so funny.

“What’d you call me?”

“I’m sorry, did I get it wrong?”

“It’s Big Mac.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m just wondering, though, why did you decide to go with ‘Big Mac,’ instead of say ‘McRib’ or ‘Thick Shake?’ There are so many choices.” I hope Big Mac doesn’t answer that honestly. I will d-i-e of embarrassment. Justin’s trying so hard not to laugh, but his face is getting really red anyway.

“Are you making fun of me or my name? ‘Cause I don’t like that. I just came out here to see if my girl was okay.” His girl? I don’t think so.

“I’m not your ‘girl,’ Big Mac, and you know it. Go back inside.”

“Yeah, well, you will be, soon enough. Soon as your boyfriend leaves.” I’ve never been so happy and so completely fucking pissed at the same time in my whole life. At least he went back inside.

Emmett’s still handing me donut pieces. “Who’s your boyfriend, sweetie?”

“Nobody. He’s just being a prick. He’s always a prick.”

“Okay, I’m done. Emmett, put those donuts down and help me help her back inside.”

“Yes, Dr. Justin. See, I told you honey. Told you he’d fix you up good as new. There isn’t one subject that this man doesn’t know a little bit about. He’s a walking encyclopedia.”

“Thank you, Nurse Emmett. On three.”

*********************************

well she was just seventeen,
if you know what I mean…


I can’t believe they’re letting me sit with them, that I’m sitting right across from him, that he’s making sure that the bag of ice stays on my foot. I can’t believe this.

“Okay, first things first. You must tell me why that boy insists on being called ‘Big Mac.’ I’ve got to know.” I was really hoping Emmett wouldn’t bring that up again.

“Okay, well, it’s kind of embarrassing. Just try to think about what comes on a Big Mac.”

“Hmmmm? What comes on a Big Mac……” I’m not figuring this out for him. No way.

“So how are you going to get home? You can’t drive with your right foot swollen like this.” Justin is so nice.

“My dad picks me up at four, when my shift's over.”

“It’s only one-thirty now. You have to sit here until four o’clock?”

“I remember now! I remember what comes on a Big Mac!” I just realized that Emmett has a purse. And it’s cooler than mine.

“He works until four, but it’s okay. There’s plenty of prep to do today.” Justin’s actually helping me sit here and roll silverware. Unbelievable. He’s better at it than I am.

“Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on sesame seed bun! I can’t believe I remembered that.” Emmett’s so proud of himself.

“Me neither.” Justin’s rolling his eyes at Emmett.

“So, I still don’t get it. Why ‘Big Mac?’”

“The second ingredient in the list.” I hope I’m not blushing. Justin’s giving me a weird look. He just figured it out.

“You mean ‘special sauce?’” I nod. “That’s gross.”

“He thinks he’s a player.”

“How old is this boy?” Emmett calls him a ‘boy.’ I guess ‘cause he’s a lot older than us. Whoa. I just called me and Justin an ‘us.’

“Seventeen. Same as me.”

“You’re only seventeen? You look at least nineteen, if not twenty. Doesn’t she Justin?”

“Yeah. I didn’t think you were that young.” Justin thinks I look twenty. I knew this was the perfect eye shadow.

“Thanks. But, I’m in my senior year of high school.” Guess there no sense lying since I’ve got no chance with him now.

“Well, I remember when Justin was seventeen. Seems like yesterday. Now he’s all grown up.” Justin shoots Emmett a dirty look, and tells him he should be helping us with the silverware.

“Depends what day it is—the grown up part and all. Sometimes I still feel like I am.”

*************************
we can work it out

Justin definitely works in a diner. He can roll silverware faster than I can.

Emmett—not so much.

“I suck at this.”

“No shit.” Gay men are bitchier than women. Whoa.

“Okay, well then I’m not going to screw around with silverware. I’m going to do what I came here to do and find out what is going on in that pretty little head of yours Justin. Why aren’t you getting ready to go to Hollywood?”

He’s going to Hollywood? Oh my god. I’m just going to be quiet and roll my silverware.

**************************
waiting for that day

They leave almost two hours later. Emmett kisses me on the cheek like I’m someone he’s known for years and hands me his business card with the name of the store where he got his purse written on the back of it. Justin is more reserved, but incredibly nice, telling me he’ll stop by and have coffee when he gets back from Hollywood, and that he’ll be sure to sit in my section and leave me a big tip. Emmett says he’ll come by sooner than that, but that’ll have to be with someone named Ted because he can’t find this place on his own or something.

I watch the two of them cross the street back to the museum and stand in the parking lot talking, Emmett’s gesturing a lot with his hands, Justin’s sighing a lot and smoking. Eventually they hug and kiss each other and drive away. They both wave to me as they pass the window where I’m sitting filling ketchup bottles. I’ve only got three more to go.


My dad will be here in about thirty minutes, so I guess I’ll just sit here and doodle until he gets here. Not much else to do.

4:07 pm

“Tina, your dad just called. He can’t get off work until six o’clock. Apparently, they need some people to pull some overtime at the plant.”

“Thanks, Luther.”

“You want me to make you something to eat? I’m gonna make me somethin’. Earl’s getting’ ready to take over for me.”

“Sure. If I have to sit here for two more hours, I might as well.”

“Comin’ right up.”

**************************************
don't let me be lonely tonight

Luther is the kind of man that my father respects. A man that works hard for what he has, doesn’t ask for hand-outs, looks out for other people. I think my dad doesn’t mind that I work here late at night sometimes because he knows that Luther’s usually around. Plus, my dad says that Luther is a man that understands the cycles of history. I asked him once what he meant by that, and he told me that everything in history just happens over and over again. That we’re only alive for a short time, so we tend to get worked up over every conflict, every victory, every everything, but my dad says you have to look at the big picture. He says Luther’s a big picture guy. Luther lived through segregation in Alabama, and he always tells me that he knows exactly how it feels to want something so badly that you just can’t have. He always understood what it was like to have a crush on some guy you could barely say hi to.

“I hope you don’t mind Salisbury steak and mashed potatoes. That’s what we had left over.”

“No, that’s great.” He didn’t put any gravy on my mashed potatoes. He knows I don’t like that.

“Here’s some butter for you too. I know how much you like butter.” Yep. He’s right. “Mind if I sit with you?”

“No, go right ahead. Marie go home?”

“Yeah, thank god. Vicky’s here.”

“Oh, haven’t seen her yet.”

“She’s fixin’ her hair.”

“That figures.”

“So, how’s your foot?”

“Sore, but it’ll be all right in a couple of days probably.”

“I have this sneakin’ suspicion that you don’t even care about your hurt foot since you got to meet that boy you’ve had your eye on for so long.” He winks at me. I smile, sigh.

“I can’t believe I got to meet him, Luther. I can’t believe I met him because I fell on my ass. And I can’t believe he’s really gay.”

“He is, huh?” He drains his glass of water and motions to Vicky to bring us some more.

“All day. But he’s still the cutest boy I’ve ever seen.”

“Anything you can’t have is always twice as pretty.” Luther’s probably right about that. “Don’t worry, they’ll be other good-looking boys. I can promise you that.” Vicky brings us a pitcher of water and inquires about my injury, pats me on the shoulder.

“Luther, he’s one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.”

“Really?” He hands me a roll off of his plate.

“Unbelievably nice. They let me sit there with them for almost two hours and just included me in their conversation like they’d known me for years. His friend was hysterical. I really liked him.”

“You mean his boyfriend?’

“No, that wasn’t his boyfriend. That was just his friend. His boyfriend’s name is Brian. That’s the reason he was here actually. He had a fight with his boyfriend this morning, and he has to get on a plane tomorrow morning to go to Hollywood, and he’s all torn up inside. He was here trying to process his feelings.”

“I tried to pack, Em, and I couldn’t.”

“Why?”

“I told you. I left him there.”

“What does that mean exactly? You left him there?”

“I left him there Emmett. We had a fight this morning.”

“A fight? About what?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. It was completely ridiculous. That part doesn’t even matter. What matters is that I completely freaked out for no reason. I went off on him and then I freaked out because I went off on him, so I just had to leave. I just had to get out of there. It’s totally stupid.”


“Sounds like he’s like you, Tina. He draws when he’s got somethin’ on his mind.”

“Yeah, I guess so. Only he’s a much better artist than I am. He’s going to Hollywood, Luther, to work in the movies. He made a comic book and they’re making a movie about it.”

“No shit.”

“I couldn’t believe it either, and he’s only twenty. Can you believe that? Made me feel like I could do something with my life too.”

“You’re gonna do a lot of things with your life. I don’t wanna hear you talk like that.”

“You should’ve heard him Luther. He got offered this job about a month ago, and right when he got back and was gonna tell his boyfriend about it, his boyfriend asks him to move in with him. He was so torn about taking it because he loves this guy, so much so that he couldn’t figure out a way to tell him, and then his boyfriend found out by accident.”

“Whoops.”

“Right. “And then everything just started happening all at once for him. Like apparently, this Brian guy wasn’t one to show much affection toward Justin—that’s his name, Luther—Justin.”

“Nice to put a name with the face.”

“I know. And then all of a sudden, he showers him with affection and gifts and stuff, and it’s kind of freaked Justin out a little, I think.”

“Okay, just back up a minute. Did something go wrong after I left yesterday?”

“No, everything was pretty much wonderful. Too wonderful, actually.”

“Too wonderful?”

“Em, that was the first time since Brian and I have been together that we’ve ever been together like that, you know? Away from everyone else we know, away from the pressures of our lives---shit, Em, it’s the first time I’ve ever been with him and not been in a place where everybody knew who he was. It was completely different.”

“Hmmmm. That is interesting.”

“You saw all those bible beaters in the hotel when you came in, right?”

“Oh yeah, those church ladies were everywhere. They were swarming like flies on honey.”

“Right. The atmosphere in that hotel was completely different than anywhere we’d ever been together. So, we had dinner Saturday night in a restaurant in the hotel, this really nice restaurant, and for once in our lives, we weren’t around you guys, no offense—“

“None taken.”

“We weren’t around people that expected him to act in a certain way or me to act in a certain way or anything. It was so nice—just me and him having dinner, enjoying each other.”

“Sounds like it.”

“He didn’t care who was there, who was watching us, what they thought of us. I sort of did now and then, but it was amazing just to see this whole other side of him—this side I almost never see.”

“That none of us ever see, really.”

“Yeah. And that and then the whole night we spent together, I don’t know, Em, it just made me realize how much I love him. I love him, Emmett. So much.”

“Well, of course you do, sweetie. He’s your boyfriend. Your partner. Of course, you love him.”

“You don’t understand, Em. I think I love him more than I even realized I did. It terrifies me. The way he was acting this weekend—I mean he’s never like that. He’s never done anything like this for me before. It’s totally out of character for him. And then, now, all of a sudden, he does all these things for me, pays all of this attention to me? I’m not even sure I know what to make of it.”


“Well, that’s understandable. Somebody acts one way for a long time, and then starts acting a different way. That can freak a person out.”

“I know. It was weird Luther. All I could think about was when my mom died two years ago. How frozen I was for about three months after she died. How I couldn’t draw or do anything. It was like I was terrified about what was going to come out of me, if I let anything come out at all. So, when Justin started talking about how scared he was to tell Brian about the job, how it was going to change everything between them, how he just couldn’t do it, I knew exactly how he felt. Exactly.”

“Yep. Sometimes you wait too long to do something and somebody else does it for you.”

“Yeah, I know. And he’s worried about his boyfriend. His boyfriend had cancer.” Just like my mom.

“What kind of cancer?”

“Testi-- testicu—“

“Testicular. Is he okay?”

“It sounds like he is. But Justin’s really worried about him because when he got sick, he didn’t even tell Justin. Could you imagine if my mom hadn’t told my dad as soon as she found out that she was sick?” Even though by that time, it was too late.

“No, I can’t. Everybody’s relationships are different though, honey. Men are different than women, too. Trust me."

”I’m scared Emmett. I don’t know if I trust him to be honest with me when I’m not around. My first thought is that I’ll be on the phone with Michael or you at least once a week to find out what’s going on with him, and that’s ridiculous.”

“Well then, tell him that Justin.”

“Right, so he can lose his shit and then forbid Michael to talk to me. Then I’ll really be fucked.”

“Justin, I think you’re being a little dramatic. Michael’s your friend, too. So am I. Brian isn’t the Wizard of Oz. He doesn’t control everybody’s life.”

“It’s not just that, Emmett. This is my home, you guys are my friends. I’m going to miss you you guys so much. I won’t know anybody out there. Fuck, I didn’t even realize how much I like hanging out with you guys, until all this happened on Friday.”


"So, he’s off to be a movie maker, huh?”

“He’s only supposed to be gone for about eight months. He said he’d come back by here and see me when he got back.”

”I’ll leave you a big tip too, provided I actually do make some money out there. I know how lousy tips are in this business.”

“And I’ll come see you too! Only I’ll have to bring my friend Teddy with me ‘cause I’ll never find my way back downtown without him. I’m an idiot with directions.”

“That would be great you guys. Good luck, Justin. I hope we’re still here when you get back.”

“Me too.”


“That sure was nice of them. I hope they do come back. I loved watching Big Mac climb the walls for a couple of hours. He was so jealous, he couldn’t stand it.”

“He doesn’t like me Luther.”

“I may be a poor, old, black man Tina, but I know when a boy’s got the hots for a pretty girl. And he’s got it bad.”

“He treats me like shit.”

“That’s just his mating dance. Typical of boys his age. But don’t give it a second thought, you’re way too good for him, even if he is Earl’s boy.”

“I’d rather date a gay man.”

“I don’t blame you for that one bit. That’s for sure.”

Luther and I are mostly quiet for the rest of our meal, except to thank Vicky for the cherry pie a la mode she brings us compliments of Earl. It’s piping hot. Just the way I like it.

“Earl heard you took a spill today sweetheart. Told me to bring this to you.” I burn the shit out of my tongue on the filling.

I watch out the window as it gets completely dark outside. This is always my favorite time of day. I love to watch the day surrender to darkness, watch it give up, give in, and let the night just take over. I think Luther likes it as much as I do because he just stares out the window too when he sits here at night and eats his dinner. I think it’s comforting to me because I sat with my mother every night for two weeks before she died and watched this same surrender over and over. She died at about this time of night come to think of it. The expression on her face was finally peaceful. She too had surrendered.

“Well, we’ve got an hour to go before your dad gets here. You wanna play cards or somethin’.” I knew Luther would stay around until my dad got here.

“Actually, I want to show you something.” I showed it to Justin.

”This is really good Tina. There’s so much depth in his face. It’s like you can see all the years of his life in his expression.”

“All he’s doing is making pancakes.”

“He’s your friend, isn’t he? You know him really well?”

“Yeah. He is. And yeah, I do.”

“I can tell. It really comes through. You should give this to him. He’ll love it.”


“Show me what?”

I hand him my sketchpad, open to the page that has the sketch I drew of him. His eyebrows go up and a soft smile spreads across his face.

“You drew this? For me?”

“Yesterday. When we weren’t busy.”

“I must have made pancakes for a long time yesterday. I didn’t even pay attention to what you were doing.”

“I know. I didn’t want you to.”

“This is the nicest thing anyone has done for me in a long time.”

“You like it?”

“I love it. I don’t even know what to say. No one has ever drawn a picture of me before. Can I have it?”

“Sure.” It’s the first picture I’ve ever drawn that I’ve given to someone else.

“See, I told you you were gonna make somethin’ of yourself one day.”

Maybe Luther’s right.

***********************************

EMMETT’S POV

Help! I need somebody.
Help! Not just anybody.

5:55 pm, Jennifer’s front stoop


WDJG?

Are you there God?

WDJG?

It’s me, Emmett.

I know I’ve asked for things before. I’ve made promises, and I’ve broken them before, and for that I’m really sorry, but tonight I really need you to help me out this one time. Please. Please. Please.

“You are so fired, Emmett. So fired.” Don’t interrupt me when I’m praying, damnit.

“Teddy, once again, you are not helping.

“Fine.”

“Look, we have two more possibilities here. Brian’s not here, and Daphne’s not here. And, quite frankly, those were the two strongest possibilities to begin with. So, I’m just going to think positive, Teddy. And you can sit over there and think your doom and gloom thoughts all by yourself.”

“I see headlights.”

“Oh my god, headlights!”

“Stop jumping up and down, you look like an idiot.”

Please let it be Daphne. Please let it be Daphne. Please let it be Daphne. I don’t want to deal with Brian right now. Please let it be Daphne. Please let it be Daphne. Oh my god, I can’t look. I’m closing my eyes.

“Teddy, I can’t look. I can’t look. Just tell me who it is. No! Wait, don’t tell me! Let me guess!”

“It’s Brian.” Shit!

“I told you not to tell me!”

“Justin’s not with him. He’s alone.”

Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Damnit.

Oh my god, here he comes—walking up her sidewalk in his nice jeans and his light gray shirt and his black leather jacket and his black Prada boots that would hurt like hell if he kicked me with them.

Oh my god, please make like Dionne Warwick and just Walk on By.

Um, God, now would be a nice time for that help I asked you for.

“Evening, Theodore.” He’s in a decent mood.

“Evening, Bri.”

“Clearasil.”

“Hey, Brian, you look nice.” I’m even gonna give you a friendly, little wave and completely ignore the fact that you can’t seem to get it through your head that my fucking fairy name is Clear Day.

At least he’s inside now. Whew.

“He called you Clearasil. Oh my god, that’s the best one yet.”

“You better stop laughing at that Teddy, or I’ll tell Brian that you sit behind his desk at Kinnetik and pretend to be him when he’s not there.”

“You bitch, you wouldn’t.”

“You just try me.”

And now we wait for Daphne.

And we wait.

And we wait.

“I see headlights!”

“Me too!” See, Teddy, you’re jumping up and down too, now. So there.

“Oh my god, is it her? Tell me, Teddy. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me.”

“It is!”

And now for the moment of truth.

“Is he in the car?”

Our father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, please let him be in the car, please let him be in the car, please let him be in the car, please let him be in the car, please let him be in the car, please let him be—

“Not unless Justin’s a black girl with long hair.”

Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

“I can’t take this Teddy. I can’t take this. Go ask her if she knows where he is.”

“Going.”

*********************

“Well?”

“No dice. Hasn’t seen him or talked to him all day.” My life is over.

“I’m not going in there.”

“Well, you can’t stand out here all night!”

“He’s going to kill me Teddy. I’m at least gonna make him catch me first.”

“This reminds me of that really bad episode of Gilligan’s Island when that hunter was on the island, and he hunted Gilligan for sport.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Look Em, he’s not going to kill you.”

“That easy for you to say Teddy, it’s not your life on the line.”

“Well, look on the bright side. If he does kill you, you won’t have to work for him anymore.”

“Yeah, and if he doesn’t kill me, then I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO QUIT THIS JOB! Thanks Teddy. That made me feel a lot better.”

“At least I know now not to accept it.”

********************************

BRIAN’S POV

lady Madonna,
children at your feet,
how do you manage
to make ends meet?

Jennifer’s backyard 6:17 pm, Sunday evening


“Stay out of it, Deb.”

“I will not stay out of it, Brian. What’s going on? Jennifer’s in tears upstairs, Emmett’s about thirty seconds from hyper-ventilating into a paper bag, and Gus just told me that you have a hairy penis.”

Somebody please just kill me. Please just do it right now.

“I came out here to smoke this cigarette in peace, Deb.” To figure out what to do. Not to get bitched out by you.

“I don’t know where he is, okay? I don’t know.”

“What do you mean, ‘you don’t know?’”

“I mean, ‘I DON’T KNOW!’” Are you fucking deaf?

“Jesus, you don’t have to yell at me.”

“Look, I’m trying not to lose my temper, but you’re not listening to me. I told you, I don’t know where he is. I haven’t seen him since this morning. He’s not responding to my phone calls, okay?”

“Well, what’d you do to him?”

“I didn’t do shit to him, Deb. We had a fight, sort of.”

“About what?”

“About none of your business. It’s between me and him. And he’s a big boy.” Even though he doesn’t act like one all the time. “If he doesn’t want to show up at his own party, then that’s his prerogative. I’m not his keeper.”

“Is he okay?” I don’t know.

“Yeah, he’s okay.” I hope he is. God, I hope he is.

“All right. Then I’ll stay out of it.” She better quit pointing her fucking finger in my face. “But don’t you let him leave this city upset, without knowing that you love him Brian. Don’t do something stupid like that.”

I’ll have to find him first, won’t I?

Goddamnit.

**********************
I think I’m in trouble

“Emmett, a word.”

“Oh shit, Teddy. I knew it. He’s going to fucking kill me. You’ve got to come with me! I’m not going out there by myself.”

“Fine, I’ll come with you.”


“Hey Brian, nice night, full moon---“

“Do you know where he is? That’s all I want to know. And is he okay?”

“I spent a long time with him this afternoon at the coffee shop across from the museum Brian, and when we left I thought he was going to talk to you. I guess………. I was wrong.”

“I’ll say.”

“Shut up, Theodore.”

“Shutting up.”

“He hasn’t tried to call me all day. He doesn’t answer when I call him, and as far as I know, he hasn’t been by the loft.”

“Then I’m sorry, I don’t have any idea where he is.”

“Would you stop looking at me like that? I’m not going to hit you.” What the fuck is wrong with these two?

“Sorry.”

“Is he okay? Was he upset about the memories he was having? I’m afraid I freaked him out or something.”

“He didn’t say anything about that Brian. Nothing at all. He seemed okay to me. He just said that you guys had a fight and that he needed to talk to you.”

“Shit.” Then why the fuck isn’t he here, so we can fucking talk to each other? “All right. Thanks.” They just keep standing there, staring at me like deer caught in someone’s headlights.

You’re dismissed.

***************************
never gonna give you up

“Jen?.............Jen?.............It’s Brian. Can I come in?” I open her bedroom door and find her lying on her bed with a box of Kleenex beside her.

“Yes.” Fuck, she’s really upset. “You don’t know where he is, do you?”

“No, I don’t.” I sit down on the bed next to her. “He’s got your car, doesn’t he?”

“Yeah.”

“You need it for work tomorrow? I’ll leave you mine. I’m gonna find him, one way or the other.”

“No, Trip’s coming over. He’ll take me. You don’t think something’s happened to him, do you?” She couldn’t bear that. Fuck, neither could I.

“No, I think something’s really bothering him. You know back when he came to live with me after the bashing, he went through some times like this when he was impossible to deal with. Most of those times were when there were really big decisions or obstacles in his life---when he thought he wasn’t going to be able to draw again, when he didn’t know what college to go to, when he ran into Hobbs at the hospice. Sometimes he deals with these things himself—joins a gay street gang—"....carries a concealed weapon....

She laughs.

“Other times he keeps them inside until they come out when you least expect it. And then sometimes, he just draws like a madman for days, and they come out like that. I never know what to expect with him. He’s a chameleon.”

She smiles.

“Yeah, he is. And now he’s changed his colors again, and we don’t know where he’s hiding.”

“You said he was here for fifteen minutes today?”

“He was in his room packing for fifteen minutes, and then he left.”

“Can I go in there and see if anything—"

“Sure, go ahead.”

**********************
always something there to remind me

His room is a mess. A complete mess. There are piles of clothes everywhere. Jennifer is standing in the doorway.

“He went to his father’s to get his luggage?” Oh shit.

“No, his dad brought it by yesterday. It was here when he got home today.”

Okay. I guess he’s using it instead. He’s filled it up. Sort of. If you call throwing a shitload of CDs, used up sketch pads, toiletries, socks, and underwear in a huge suitcase packing. The other suitcase has his other clothes and a jacket strewn all over it. Oh, and an umbrella. Whatever. I start flipping through his sketch pads in the first suitcase, looking for clues as to what he’s doing, why he’s packing all of these old sketchpads. I recognize a lot of these sketches from years ago. They’re mostly sketches of me in various poses, or me with Gus, or Lindsay with Gus. They’re excellent. I find a much more recent sketch pad, extremely recent, as recent as you can get, and open it.

The answer falls into my hand.

I know exactly where he is.

Chapter 18-Provocation-Brian's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN’S POV

Oh yes, wait a minute Mister Postman

Jennifer’s house, Sunday night, 6:41 pm


“Daddy! Daddy! WAIT!”

Gus. I forgot. I turn around and see him running through her front yard in the dark, waving his pictures in his hand. He’s practically in the street, trying to get to me, to my car.

“Stop! Don’t run into the street Gus! I’m coming back.” Michael’s running after him, trying to stop him. Thank god he gets to him before he got to the end of Jennifer’s yard. He listens to Michael.

“Whoa Gus, you’ve got to be careful. You can’t just run into the street after your dad like that. You could get hit by a car.”

“But he forgot my pictures for Mr. Justin! He forgot them.” He’s squirming to get away from Michael.

“Thanks, Mikey.” Gus clings to my leg when I finally get to him.

“No problem. I need to give you something for Justin, too.” He reaches in his jacket pocket and hands me a small box. “It’s a pair of D&G sunglasses. Figured they’d complete his Hollywood ensemble. They’re from all of us---me, Ben, Hunter, Ma, and even Jenny. You can throw her in, too, if you want.”

“Thanks. I’m sure he’ll love them.” I bend down to get the pictures from Gus.

“Here, Daddy. Give all these to Mr. Justin. I don’t have an emelope.”

“You don’t need an envelope. I’m going to give them to him myself. I’m not going to mail them. Give me a hug; I have to go, okay?” He jumps into my arms, squeezing me around my neck. I stand up with Gus still attached to me, tucking his pictures inside my jacket to tell Michael good-bye.

“Listen, tell everyone I’m sorry I had to duck out like this. I’m pretty sure I know where he is. I’ve got to find him, make sure he’s all right.”

“They’ll understand. You know you can call me later if you need anything, right?”

“Yeah, I know.” Michael hugs me. I can feel Gus’ hand inside my jacket. He’s fishing for gum. I take his hand out. My lighter’s in there. “Gus, I don’t have any gum tonight. Listen, I’m going to come have lunch with you at your school this week. Would you like that?”

“With my class?”

“Yeah, with your class.”

“Yeah. Dylan’s dad did and so did Haley’s mom. Haley’s mom is gonna have a baby. She’s real fat.” Michael laughs.

“Well, I’m gonna come later in the week—not tomorrow, or the next day, but after that. I’ll let you know, okay?”

“Okay, Daddy.” I kiss him good-bye. He smells vaguely like peanut butter, probably from a snack he had in the car on the way over.

“Be good for your mom tonight.”

“I will.”

I hug him again and hand him to Michael. They wave good-bye to me as I drive away, deciding to race each other back into Jennifer’s house. I know for a fact that Michael let him win.

*************************************

They say the next big thing is here,
that the revolution's near,
but to me it seems quite clear
that it's all just a little bit of history repeating


It’s starting to rain, just enough of a thick mist to be incredibly annoying, enough to make every red light I hit look bigger than it really is. I don’t have time for red lights tonight. This feeling of driving toward him in the rain, of being stuck at blurry traffic lights, is too familiar, too recent. I turn off the radio. I don’t need any more noise in my head.

This particular intersection is deserted. It’s just me. Alone. I can hear my finger running back and forth over the clue I found in his suitcase. I miss the green light because I’m staring at the mystery in my hand, trying to decide if it’s an invitation or a warning. Guess I won’t know ‘til I get there. No one minds that I’m not paying attention when the light turns green, that I don’t hit the gas until the light turns yellow. There’s no one here to care.

I’ve got a little over twelve hours to make sure it’s not that way permanently.

I listen to the swish of my tires as they slow to make the last turn. It wouldn’t take me long to find his car at this time of night on a Sunday, but I’d rather not waste the time. The rain is almost enough to dampen and chill me as I walk. My eyes adjust to the brighter lights and rushing noise as I step inside.

Every prince charming needs a tall, white horse to arrive on when he saves his damsel in distress, and by a stroke of dumb luck tonight, mine is meandering down the hallway. It’s not white or tall, but rather, stainless steel, and at this point, I’ll take what I can get. My jockey eyes me suspiciously as he approaches the door.

“Sir?”

“Cold feet.” I show him my credit card and sign the receipt.

“I see.”

“Do your thing.”

I watch him knock on the door and wait, out of view, for the words that I know are coming.

”Who is it?”

He looks at me. I nod.

“Room service, sir.” I hand him twenty dollars and motion for him to leave.

I hear the chain coming off, watch the doorknob turning, and see history repeating itself in his startled blue eyes.

“Brian.”

“Evening, fair maiden. I’ve come to rescue you.” I gently, but firmly, make sure the door stays open.

“That’s not funny.” He turns around and walks back inside the suite. I shouldn’t, but I admire his body in those ridiculously tight levi’s anyway as he walks away.

“Call your mother.”

I pull the cart inside and close the door. He picks up the phone.

****************************

Well, since my baby left me
Well, I found a new place to dwell
Well, it's down at the end of Lonely Street
At Heartbreak Hotel


“You found me.”

“You left a trail of bread crumbs.” He looks at me like he didn’t appreciate that.

“I never thought I’d say this, Brian, but you’re spending way too much time reading to Gus.” He almost smiles, but the moment passes too quickly for both of us.

“You’re avoiding everything and everyone that reminds you of leaving. I should’ve figured this out hours ago.” His hysteria over the luggage last night, skipping his own farewell party. He walks away from me, sinking into the far sofa, his head in his hands. “When’d you shave? Did you go home when I wasn’t there?”

The loft is home.

“They’ll give you anything you want at the front desk, Brian. Hell, they’ll even bring it to you.” I glance around the suite trying to ascertain what he’s been doing here for the last few hours. I don’t see much besides his sketch pad and his box of art supplies.

“Been busy?”

I want to be closer to him, but I feel like he wants me over here, by the bar, where I am. He closes his sketch pad, puts away his supplies, and resumes his defeated posture on the sofa. I guess dinner can wait.

“Yeah.”

“Looks like it.” If he’s got that whole box with him, he’s not messing around. He looks up at me, a pleading look in his eyes that I haven’t seen in a long time. It breaks something inside of me.

“I think I have things I need to say to you.”

“Okay.” Please say something. Say anything.

“But I can’t say them to you when you’re mad at me.”

“I’m not mad at you.”

“Yes, you are. You’re doing that thing you do with your mouth when you’re really pissed.” I am?

I am.

Shit. I think I’m just nervous.

“I’m not mad at you. I’ve been worried sick about you all day.” His eyes widen, almost like he’s surprised at that. “I called you six or seven times. You never called me back. You scared me.” You really scared me.

“I broke my cell phone. It’s gone.”

“What?”

“I had it out with my father. It’s just one more thing to add to the list.” Christ.

“I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, well, matter of time.” I can’t stand to see him like this. I take a deep breath.

“Can I come over there? Sit with you?”

He lifts his head out of his hands and looks at the space next to him on the sofa like it’s a foreign object and then looks at me. I’m not even sure what I look like right now and then I see my reflection in the mirror we pulled out here yesterday during our fashion show. I look like a schmuck, standing here with my hands shoved in the pockets of my jacket like I have no fucking clue what to do. He studies my face.

“You still look sorta mad.”

“I’m not. My jaw might look mad, but it’ll stop in a minute.” He shrugs his shoulders.

“Then, yeah.”

********************************

Try to see it my way,
Do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on?


I walk around the sofa and sit beside him, the tension in the room rising again. He fiddles with his fingers, his elbows on his knees.

“I missed you today.” I feel myself start to reach for him as I say this, but I decide against it for the moment.

“I missed you, too.” He’s almost whispering, like it was painful to say that.

“It’s okay that you came here.” My hand is tentatively on his back, afraid he’ll pull away. He almost does. “Should’ve known you were here. You remember every single thing I say.” And everything I don’t. His body is like a bed of nails underneath my hand. I can’t remember the last time he felt this tense.

“My key worked.” I smooth my hand down his back, trying to relax him. Doesn’t feel like it’s working.

“Your key will always work.”

Silence.

He doesn’t move or speak for a couple of minutes, so I hang on to the sound of his breathing and the feel of his body rising and falling underneath my hand.

“Justin, I want to help you, but I don’t know how. I don’t know what’s wrong.” He inhales.

“I know. I’m trying, Brian. This isn’t easy for me.”

Another minute passes, and he reaches over and holds my hand. It surprises me. God, I want to hold him. His head is still down, staring at our entwined fingers.

“There are some things I need to talk to you about, to say to you, things that are really bothering me, and I need you to listen.”

“You don’t want me to say anything?”

“No, I’m just saying I don’t want you to lose your shit.” I smile at him.

“I’m not going to lose my shit.” Give me some credit.

“No matter what?”

“No matter what.”

“Okay.” He looks at me for a second and then looks away again, our hands an endless fascination for him tonight. He takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry about this morning. I blew up for no reason. We can’t do what we did, unless we talk about it together and agree, but I went off on you for no reason.”

“It’s okay.” I shouldn’t have let it happen.

“It’s not okay. I hurt you, Brian, and I don’t ever want to do that. I’m embarrassed—that I acted the way I did, that I got so freaked out just because you told me that you loved me-"

“Well, I kind of sprung it on you.” Literally.

“You surprised me.”

“Right.”

“But I should be used to that. I never know what’s gonna happen with us. That’s what I’m trying to say, Brian. You hold all the cards in this relationship.” He looks me straight in the eye. “And I don’t like it.”

“What do you mean?” He hears the change in my voice. He feels it.

“Just let me give you an example, okay? Don’t get upset.”

“I’m not, I’m just listening.”

“How’d you feel this morning when I left you here?” Now, I’m staring at my hands.

“Like a fucking idiot. Like—” I don’t even want to talk about this. He turns toward me, folding one leg under the other.

“Tell me--please. This means something to me. I’m not trying to exploit you.”

“Like a fool, Justin. Like I don’t know how to pay attention to what you’re feeling. Like I’m so bad at it—that you just have to leave. You can’t even talk to me. Like I don’t even deserve to know.” Felt exactly like it did when he left to go be with the fiddler. Those few weeks before he left, how I knew something was wrong with him, but he’d lie to me or just clam up, wouldn’t let me in.

“And then today, when you didn’t know where I was—"

“Fucking helpless and scared. Is that what you wanted? Is that what you were try—" Because that’s fucking bullshit.

“No. That’s not what I wanted. I wasn’t trying to hurt you. I was trying to figure out why I’m so terrified to leave, Brian—and this is part of it.” His fingers pull at the denim in the bend of his knee. “All of this is happening so fast. It feels like it’s beyond my control, you know?”

“I know.” I’m overly familiar with that feeling.

“All of these things by themselves probably wouldn’t be so bad—this new job, which, by the way, I don’t know shit about, moving across the country, dealing with these fucking panic attacks, my fucking father, leaving all of my friends, saying good-bye to you—“ his voice wavers, “but all of these things at once just set me off, made me realize that I don’t have control over anything in my life.”

“You could’ve told me, Justin—about the job, the panic attacks. I could’ve helped you.” I want to help you. He looks at me like I just don’t understand.

“You mean like how you told me about having cancer, or about possibly selling the loft, or how you’re really gonna go on the Liberty Ride even though you’re gonna tell me you’re not? Or how you can’t sleep at night anymore, but I’m supposed to lie next to you while you say my name in this creepy ass way and then believe you when you say you don’t remember anything?”

“Justin.” The truth comes out.

“Or how you get to decide how I’m going to spend my last forty-eight hours in Pittsburgh without even asking me?” Shit. I don’t know what to say. “You control everything in this relationship, Brian. I’m your partner. You have no idea how much it hurt me when you didn’t even tell me you were sick, and then when you found out I knew, you physically threw me out. I was worried sick about you, Brian. Sick. Worried about you, like you were worried about me today—like you were four years ago, when you came to my hospital room every night when I was in a coma.”

Oh fuck.

“And then fucking lied to me about it.”

Oh shit.

“Why? Why would you lie to me about something like that?” He’s pissed, but not like this morning. I think he just wants an answer.

*************************

While you see it your way
There's a chance that we may fall apart before too long


“Because I didn’t know how to tell you the truth.”

“And which truth would that be? That you loved me or that you felt guilty?”

“Both?” I hate him when he gets like this, when he’s like human truth serum—blond interrogation. But he’s touching my hands again, so that’s a good sign. I think.

I hope.

“You know what your problem is, Brian?” No conversation that started with that question has ever ended well.

“Actually, I think I do, but feel free to tell me anyway.” He laughs. So do I. We needed something to break the tension.

“You feel guilty about the wrong things, Brian. It’s not your fault that Chris Hobbes hit me in the head with a bat. I know that you’ll probably never really believe that, but it’s not.”

He’s right. I never will.

“But it is your fault when you shut me out or throw me of your life, or don’t tell me shit, or make decisions or manipulate the circumstances of my life, things you should talk to me about. Decisions that we should make together, if we’re gonna do this.”

He sounds like maybe we’re not.

“You don’t wanna do this?”

“I want to know that you understand what I’m saying. That you understand how much it hurt me not to be able to be with you when you were diagnosed, being operated on, for Christ’s sake, to be turned out in anger. And I know damn well that you know what I mean because if someone had tried to keep you from coming to that hospital in the middle of the night when I was in a coma, you’d have killed them with your bare hands.” I knew he’d fucking find out about all of this. Goddamn little detective.

“You’re right. I would have. I couldn’t stay away.” Wild horses and all that.

“So don’t deny me, Brian. You have to let me love you in my own way, just like you want to love me in your way—like buying me a new wardrobe, dressing me up, taking me out for ridiculously expensive dinners, molesting me in public places—“

“Spanking you?”

Brian.”

“Sorry. I couldn’t resist.”

“Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Yes. I’m a highly evolved life form, and yes, I do understand. You’re trying to say that if I’m feeling possessive of your sweet little ass, I should consult you before I decide that we’re not gonna fuck in the backroom anymore.”

“Before we decide.”

“Right.” I’ll get this right sometime.

“And I’m not ready to give that up. I love being back there with you. It makes me feel—"

“Like a fairy princess.”

“You’re an asshole, but, yeah, I guess it does. I’m the only one who gets to have an encore back there. Don’t take that away from me.”

“Your wish is my command. The show must go on.”

“You’re so retarded.”

I can’t catch a break tonight.

*******************************

Shouldn't be so complicated
Just hold me and then
Just hold me again


“Come here, there’s something I want to show you.” I stand up and tug on his hand, pulling him toward the dark bedroom.

“What?”

“Just come here.” I lead him to the window in the bedroom, opening the curtains all the way.

“I’m not looking at the parking deck.”

“This has nothing to do with that. I’m done with art therapy. Just come here.” I turn him around, pulling him against me, propping myself against the window sill. “Don’t even look at that fucking thing.”

“I’m not.” I wrap my arms around his waist.

“I want you to look out the window at those two streets over there.” I point to the ones I mean. “See them?”

“Yeah.”

“Watch them for a couple of minutes. They’re almost identical, except for one thing. Watch for a while and see if you can figure it out.”

“What is this, like a riddle or something?”

“Just watch. It takes a minute.”

He relaxes a little against me, and I prop my chin over his shoulder, just breathing him in, listening to him inhale and exhale, feeling his body against mine, trying to memorize every little detail about him. He has that familiar Sunday evening scent.

“Your clothes smell like that diner.”

“I was there for a few hours today.” I should’ve figured that, too. Sometimes what you’re looking for is right in front of you.

“That place has an unmistakable smell. I’ll never forget it.” He tips his face back and looks at me.

“God, do I smell that bad after I’ve been there?”

“It’s not you. It’s that place. It’s smelled that way for over twenty-five years.” He turns around a little more.

“What do you mean it’s smelled that way for over twenty-five years?” Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever talked to him about this. His Sunday sketch-fests are his time. I don’t intervene.

“Used to go there when I was a kid, with Matt, and John, when he was old enough, long before downtown was built up around it.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah. Keep watching out there; you’re gonna miss it.” He turns back around. “There were these old railroad tracks down there and three or four abandoned railroad cars that Matt and I had basically taken over and turned into our own personal forts—"

“That’s every boy’s dream.”

“I know. The only problem with the scenario was that the tracks were almost two miles from our neighborhood by bike, and we’d get hungry after being out there for hours on end plotting world domination.”



“Taking over the world makes you very hungry.”

“And we were poor, too. World domination didn’t pay much in those days.”

“Why do I have this feeling that this is where you honed your art of persuasion?”

“You’re not far off, only Luther didn’t need much persuading. He was a nice guy. He’d give us leftovers all the time, and he’d always give us something to drink, especially in the summer, even when it got him in trouble. He couldn’t stomach the thought of the three of us basically cooking ourselves in those hot, metal railroad cars while we concocted our evil plans.”

“Luther worked there when you were a kid?” He makes it sound so long ago. “I just officially met him today. I’ve got to tell you about that later. You won’t believe what happened, anyway.”

“He’s been there forever. I see him once in a while when I have a meeting downtown.”

“You go in that place?”

“Just to say hi to him. Get a cup of coffee. I have a soft spot for diners, I guess. My boyfriend works at one.” I can feel him smiling. He wraps his arms around mine a little tighter.

“Not anymore, he doesn’t.” He’s quiet for a little while.

“Yeah, I know. Not anymore.” We’re both quiet now for a couple of minutes, lost in our own thoughts, staring out the window.

“I think they’re gonna close that place down, Brian. Everything’s shutting down around it.” There’s such a sadness in his voice.

“I don’t think so. Downtown changes all the time. It remakes itself, basically. You’re just not old enough to remember it. That diner’s probably the only thing that’s been there through every renovation. I doubt it’s going anywhere. It’s kind of part of the landscape now.”

“You really think so? They’re pulling almost all of the exhibits at the museum, and they don’t even have new ones scheduled. Just seems odd, to me.”

“Might be getting ready to renovate that place actually. It needs it. It’s been awhile.”

“How long?”

“Ten, fifteen years.”

“Hmm. I hope they don’t change the ceiling.” The ceiling? I’ve never noticed the ceiling in that place. He notices the strangest things.

“Well, if I hear anything about what they’re doing, I’ll let you know. You figured out what’s different about those two streets yet?” He studies them for a few more seconds.

“I think so, but I’m not sure. I don’t want to say ‘cause I’m afraid I’m wrong. Just tell me.” Sometimes he does want me to give him the answer, to show him the way. I’ve got to figure out when I’m supposed to and when I’m not. I loosen my grip on him, pointing to the streets we’ve been looking at.

“All right. I’ll tell you the secret. It’s the same thing that’s wrong with you and me sometimes. Timing. The far street, over there, the street lights are timed correctly. They all turn green at the same time, red at the same time. The street closer to us—they’re off by a few seconds, actually, probably less than that. ‘Causes all kinds of traffic problems, and not just right there---but problems that spill over onto other streets, even the streets with correct timing.”

“That’s what’s wrong with us?”

“Sometimes, yeah. Right words, wrong time; right time, no words. Right place, homophobic prick. Not just us, happens to everybody.”

“Right job, wrong coast.” He laces his fingers in mine. I hold him tighter.

“I figure you’re a visual person. It’d mean more to you if I showed you.”

“You were right. As usual.”

There’s no reason for us to be sitting on this window sill anymore, but for some reason, we still are.

“How’d you know where I was?” I knew that was coming.

I realize that I never took my jacket off, the whole time I’ve been here, that I’ve kind of wrapped him in it while we’ve been sitting here, that I’m going to miss that so much—how he fits so perfectly inside it.

“Okay, remember earlier when you made me promise not to lose my shit?”

“Yeah?”

“You have to make that same promise right now.”

“Okay? Why?” I pull the Fairmont’s Do Not Disturb sign out of my jacket pocket, along with forty-nine of Gus’ pictures. He catches the pictures before I drop them. “Oh, those are from Gus.” He smiles. He can’t see what else I have in my hand.

“What?”

“Most people wait until the vacation’s over before stealing a souvenir.” I flash it in front of his face. He tries to grab it.

“You went through my suitcase! You asshole!”

“Uh, uh, uh. You promised.”

“Shit.” He glares at me, having turned all the way around in my arms now. Gus’ pictures scattered in the chair beside us.

“You left me no choice. You locked yourself in a tower and wouldn’t let down your long, blond hair. I was going to find you.”

“You really were worried about me.” It finally sinks in.

“Unbelievably. I’d never forgive myself if something happened to you, Justin. No matter where you were or what you were doing. It’s not exactly rational.” He lays against me.

“You aren’t kidding about that fairy tale shit, are you? You did come to rescue me. That’s why you came to my prom that night, too, isn’t it? You’re a closet romantic.”

“Gotta get it right sometime.” If at first you don’t succeed….

“You got it right, Brian. You got everything exactly right. You can stop trying so hard.”

****************************************

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down


“Okay, now's the part of the story where I kiss you to break the evil spell that’s been cast on you by the wicked witch.” I’ve waited hours to kiss him, but this is more than worth it. It’s never felt this good, tasted so sweet.

“It’s too late. I already ate the poisoned apple.” He doesn’t taste like apples. He tastes like coffee, and donuts, and cigarettes.

“Now, see, I do have to spank you for that.”

“Like you need a reason.”

“Oh, I definitely don’t, but you’ve given me at least four hundred thousand.” But only one that really matters.

You’re leaving me.

****************************
Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you


I let him pull me onto the bed, work my jacket off my shoulders, my hand sliding inside the front of his jeans, as I lie on top of him.

“Slow, Brian. Soft and slow.”

“Fresh out of soft and slow. All I have left is hard and fast.” And that’s what he’s getting. He pulls my hand out.

No.” He kisses me. “Please. Slow.” He’s unbuttoning his shirt, that lusty, lidded look coming over his face, running his fingers down his chest as the buttons open one by one.

“You’re so damn demanding.”

“You’ve spoiled me.” The man’s got a point.

“I have, haven’t I?”

“Uh huh.” He reaches for the hem of my shirt, pulls it over my head, and tosses it across the room. It lands right in the middle of the chair by the window. He congratulates himself, “Damn, I’m good.”

“Beginner’s luck.”

“Get to work. I want some seduction.” He wants some seduction. He assists me in getting his shirt off, and I take my shot at the chair and miss by a long shot. “Oh my god, you totally suck!” He’s nothing if not tactful.

“You’ve got youth on your side.”

“And you on top of me.”

“That you do.”

He grins at me as I sit back on the bed and slide his jeans off, mine following seconds after. The sheets are cool on my back, and he’s warm in my arms as we settle under the covers.

“I’m going to miss this, Brian. I have no idea how I’m going to go six, much less eight months, without this. I really don’t.” I smile at him, my fingers playing with his hair. Like I have an answer for that.

“Me neither, and I’m sorry about this morning—for getting you drunk and assaulting you with three word sentences.” He laughs.

“Shut up.”

“Made me realize something though.” Even in the darkness of this room, I can still see the color in his lips.

“Oh yeah, what?” He shifts underneath me, sliding down a little, his head lower than mine, his fingers gently drumming my cock. “You’re so hard.”

“You made me wait all day.” He drives me fucking bananas when he kisses my chest like that. “I can’t concentrate when you’re doing that.” He wraps his hand around my waist. If he keeps this up, my arms are gonna fold, and I’m gonna come crashing down on top of him. Justin Taylor in ruins.

“I know, but you can try. Don’t give up, you’re not a quitter. What were you gonna say?” He’s rubbing my ass—a lot—the little smart ass.

“I was going to say that I realized this morning that I use your attraction to me as a crutch, but forget it now.” He stops the rubbing and the stroking and the kissing.

“What do you mean?”

“Keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t give up, you’re not a quitter.” I imitate him. He slaps my ass.

“I want to know what you mean.”

I want you to keep doing what you were doing.”

Tell me.

“Stroke me.”

“Now.”

“No.”

“Uh.”

“Roll over.”

He’s never rolled over so fast in his life.

***************************

I can't find all the right romantic lines
But see me once and see the way I feel


My lips are in his hair, my hands underneath his chest.

“So, this morning when you froze underneath me was the worst five minutes of my life.” Almost.

“It was?” He has a beautiful expression on his face as I run my lips down the side of it.

“Yes, it was. I’m addicted to the way you respond to me when I touch you.” So fucking addicted. “It’s the best drug I’ve ever had.” He moans as I run my tongue behind his ear, suck his earlobe into my mouth. He proves my point, reaching back with his hand, his fingers lightly running down my face.

“More.”

He turns his head to the other side. I brush his hair out of my way as my lips brush his temple, his cheekbone.

He wants more.

“There’s nothing more tangible to me than my attraction to you, Justin. Nothing.” He covers his ear because my breath is tickling him.

“Quit it.” I move his hand away and guide it back under his pillow. He rolls toward me a little and kisses me and then settles back down, a soft smile on his face.

“It’s been that way since the first night we met—since the first time I looked at you, since the first time I touched you, since the first time—"

“You fucked me.” He laces his fingers with mine, closing his eyes.

“Yeah, and I know about attraction, it’s my business. I create it, market it, sell it—everyday. I know the power it has. I knew the power you had over me—probably long before you did.”

“Oh, I doubt that.” He laughs a little. I run my lips along his shoulders. “But it’s the same for me, Brian. Exactly the same.”

“I know it is.” I’ve always known. I hear his hands smoothing the sheets as I start to move mine down his body, feeling him arch into me as my tongue trails his spine. I stop moving for a second, my hands firm underneath him. “That’s why this morning, when you froze in my arms, didn’t move when I touched you, it was like you’d pulled my legs out from under from me. I couldn’t think, couldn’t do anything.” I want him to understand.

“It’s why you didn’t realize—" I think he gets it now.

“Yeah. And then when you came back to life, when you wanted me again, that’s all I was thinking about, all I could think about.” That if you ever don’t moan, or arch, or beg, or get wet when I put my hands on you, I’ll know the cancer’s back for good.

“I want you now, Brian.” His voice is low, sultry. I can feel him spreading his legs. “Rim me.” Mind reading. One of his many talents.

And then there’s rimming.

One of mine.

The first time I rimmed him, the first time I had him in my bed, I knew he was made for this. His brave little body slightly nervous, more excited than anything, as he laid on his stomach waiting for the unknown. I’ll never forget the way he tasted that first night, how his skin glowed with the sheen of first time sex, how his breath gave away everything that he was too shy to tell me.

“Do you remember the first time I rimmed you?” This little dip at the beginning of his ass is so fucking adorable. I love to suck on him right here.

“Of course.” He’s pushing against my face. He’s so easy. I slide my finger in my mouth and run it slowly down his crack. “Brian.”

“Do you want me to kiss you right here?”

“Oh god.”

I’ll take that as a yes.

My tongue follows my finger as it moves slowly between his cheeks. He has the most beautiful, most fuckable ass I’ve ever seen. I run the back of my finger over his hole, letting him enjoy the pleasure of my knuckle as it brushes past a few times. He gasps. I spread him apart with my hand, kissing the sensitive skin around it, wetting all of that skin with my tongue.

“Uh, Brian, oh my god, please.”

“You’re so tight, Justin.” His head will pop up as soon as my tongue swirls outside his tiny asshole.

“Jesus, oh my god.” There it goes. Makes me smile.

I push him open gently with my tongue, softly, listening to him whimper into the sheets, feeling how he fights me at first and then opens up for me and lets my tongue slip in and out of him. I can feel him pulling me in, begging me to stay.

I don’t.

I lick him wide instead, from his balls up past his hole as he fists the sheets, burying his face in his pillow, his legs starting to squeeze me. He scrambles, trying to get on his knees. I pull back a little and let him, my hand sliding underneath his offered ass, my fingers snug around his smooth, hard cock. He rocks back a little, sliding in and out of my hand. I flatten my hand a little against his stomach and let him enjoy this, the ball of my hand hard against the base of his dick, my fingers getting wetter.

“I like to watch you like this, Justin, getting ready for me on your hands and knees.”

I see him reach in his pillow and then throw something at me. Guess I forgot to empty the pillows when I packed our shit.

“Fuck me, please.” He buries his face in his pillow again, his plea muffled the second time. “Oh my god, please.”

“Give me the pillow.” I want to hear him. He hands it to me. I throw it on the floor.

I keep one hand on his lower back as I sheath myself. I love him like this--always have—face pressed hard against the mattress, ass in the air just waiting to be fucked. They should name this position after him. I finger him just to watch him buck. He wasn’t expecting it, but he loves it. He fucking loves it. I press harder on his back, pinning him, angling for his prostate.

“Stop it. Fuck. I’ll come.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’m still going to fuck you.”

I love to watch my fingers slide in and out of him, love to watch his hips work them as he moans my name, love to feel his lower back rise and fall underneath my palm as he tries to get off while I hold him down. That is so fucking hot.

“You want me to come like this?” That vulnerable voice he has. Christ, I’ll come without fucking him.

“Whatever you want.” He reaches for his dangling cock and starts stroking himself, his breathing erratic and hot as fuck. “Good boy, Justin. Get yourself off. I want to watch.” He starts to beg.

“Brian, please fuck me.”

“I want you to come first.”

“No, please.” He can’t stop stroking himself. He can’t stop fucking my hand.

“Come, Justin.”

He pushes back hard against me, and I feel it starting in his whole body—his legs tightening, his face changing, his breath metering out bit by bit. He begs me one last time as my cock pushes inside him, his moan one of relief more than anything else.

“Oh god, Brian, go. Go.” He lets go of his cock, preferring instead to reach back and grip my thigh tightly, his nails digging in. “Harder.”

My thighs pound against his, my fingers squeezing the head of his cock hard.

“Ah, ah.”

“Wait for me, Justin.”

“I can’t.” He’s pinching the shit out of my leg. I smack his bottom hard enough to leave a mark. His head pops up again. “Fuck.”

“You made me wait all day. You can wait.”

He falls into the sheets again, and I feel his tight little ass clamping down on my dick over and over. I grab his hips with both hands and pull them against me as I thrust inside him as deep as I can get. He cries out as I hold him down and fuck him until I know he’s at the end of his rope. He’s fighting his orgasm; no use—it’s coming anyway. It’s as inevitable as his departure tomorrow morning.

“Okay, Justin. I’m ready. You can come now.”

He practically screams as he shoots on the sheets, as I hold him where I want him, as I pour inside of him. I let him go when I’m ready to give up, falling on top of him, on the wet, white sheets. He pants underneath me.

“Jesus, Brian. What got into you?” He flips over, his torso coated with his spunk. I move down his body, licking it off of him, feeding it back to him, one tongue full at a time. He tells me it’s delicious, but that he still needs to eat dinner. I try to kiss him and answer his question at the same time.

“You made me wait. I don’t like to be kept waiting.”

*************************

She's in love with me and I feel fine

He feeds me reheated room service in bed, while he straddles me, and tells me all about his day. His final Picasso viewing, the little girl at the diner who’s always had a crush on him, but who he just found out today is also a really good artist….how Emmett almost killed her…….how he never wants to eat another donut for the rest of his life……

“These pictures Gus drew are amazing! Don’t you think they’re amazing?”

“He’s a genius. He takes after his father.”

“I should’ve been there tonight, at least to say good-bye to him.”

“You got a lot of cool stuff from everybody.”

“What! Tell me!”

“I’m not gonna tell you. If you wanted it, you should’ve been there.”

“Asshole. Then tell me about Gus. How’s the kitten?”

“Horny. She fondled me.”

“You probably made the first move.”

“That’s highly possible. If Gus ever asks you, you pee standing up.”

“Huh?”

“And your penis is hairy, too.”

“I left you alone with him for one day, Brian. What the fuck did you do to him?”

On second thought, maybe I won’t miss him that much.

Chapter 19-Resignation-Justin's POV by plumsuede

JUSTIN'S POV

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

10:47 p.m., Sunday night at the loft


I’ve seen this place so many different ways in the last four years—impeccably furnished like the lair that it is, fleeced because of my carelessness, cold and empty because of my infidelity, stripped of everything but our bed because of my idealistic convictions, and then void of everything but the two of us screaming about how much we cared about each other and why that and cancer were good enough reasons to keep us apart. But I’ve never seen it like this, never cluttered with boxes and piles of my stuff—all of my stuff—everywhere. I have a lot more stuff here than I realized.

My computer—packed. My clothes—neatly folded in my new suitcases. My personal things—separated from his. He’s taken care of everything.

“When I get your laundry back this week, I’ll pack that and send it, too, with everything else. You should probably look through the drawers and the closet and everything and make sure I didn’t forget anything.”

I’m sure he didn’t. He’s much better at this than I am, obviously. I guess I can walk around for a few minutes, make a half-assed effort to see if there’s anything he forgot. Feels like it’s the least I can do. There’s a pile of stuff by the dining room table with my name on it.

“Brian, what’s this?” He walks toward me from the bedroom.

“Oh, Mikey must have been here. That’s your loot from the party.” He picks up Lindsay’s gift—a framed print of my Picasso addiction. I can’t believe she remembered that. There’s a stack of cards and letters from everyone on the bar. Wow. Now, I really feel like shit.

“Looks like you’ve taken care of everything.” I made him do this, all of this, by himself. I’m an asshole. “I’m sorry…that you had to do all of this by yourself. This makes me feel like shit.”

“Yeah, well, apologies are a waste of time.” He smiles at me. “That we don’t have.” He points to a pile on the dining room table. “Few things I didn’t know what to do with. Just let me know—stay or go. And look, you’re gonna have to use this new luggage I got you. We don’t have time to go back to your mom—"

“I’m going to use it.” I hold on to his sleeve, turning him around, away from the pile of my shit on the dining room table, so he’s facing me. “If you don’t mind, when you go to my mom’s this week, just throw that other luggage out or tell my mom I don’t want it, or something—because I don’t want it.” I let go of his arm, but he doesn’t let go of me, his arms around me.

“Sure. You gonna tell me what happened with your dad?”

“I really don’t want to talk about it right now. Probably won’t for a while.” He gives me that “okay, fine” look. The one he always gives me when he knows better than me, but isn’t going to push it.

“Your call, but whatever happened, Justin, it’s his loss.”

“I know.”

I know he’s right. I just wished I believed it.

********************************
He was a hard-headed man
He was brutally handsome
And she was terminally pretty


He’s got an ulterior motive for making us take a shower. He’s trying to lighten my mood. Usually works.

Yeah, okay, it’s working.

“You’re gonna need to call Daphne tomorrow. She was pissed at you tonight.” Shit, I didn’t even think about Daphne. Aw, fuck. I can’t call her after this. We’ll be on the phone all night. He’s massaging shampoo into my hair. I’m not used to having to wash my own hair. God, I’m so fucking spoiled. “That feels really, really, really good.” He laughs.

“I know it does. You’re a shampoo whore.” Yeah, I am.

“God, I’m so tired, Brian. Aren’t you tired?”

“Turn around. Yeah, we haven’t slept much at all since Thursday night. I could use a nap.” I knew he’d shampoo it again. Every time I tell him it feels really, really good, he shampoos it twice.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. I’m gonna save so much money on shampoo once your ass is gone.” Yeah, really.

“Can I take this shampoo with me?” He smiles at me, kissing me as he rinses my hair again.

“I had an extra bottle, and it’s already in your suitcase.” Figures.

“Honestly, Brian, you’ve really taken care of everything.” The conditioner feels cool in my hair. “I still can’t believe you did all of this for me—all of this—this whole weekend.”

“Not going to have some bottom boy of mine taking over Hollywood looking like he just walked out of the Old Navy Factory Outlet store.” He turns me back around again, leaning me back against him as he guides the water, rinsing the conditioner out of my hair. I close my eyes, feeling his erection against my ass.

“I don’t look like that.” He runs his fingers through my hair to be sure he got all of it out and picks up the soap.

“Some days you do," he teases me. I relax against him as he starts washing me. I wonder if I can take this soap with me, too. “Can, I—"

“In your suitcase.”

Figures.

“Can I take the shower, too?” He smacks me on the ass.

“Don’t push it.”

I listen to the water fall for a minute or so, reaching behind me and in between us to brush his cock with my fingers, tracing it slowly with my thumb as he dotes on me with his soapy hands. The affection in his voice, in my ear, makes me smile, makes me feel calm.

“You seem better to me. You looking forward to this a little bit now? To going?”

“Yeah. Actually, I am. I’m kind of excited, believe it or not.” I can feel the tension leave his body. I can actually feel it.

“Good. Listen to me, when you get out there, put on your new clothes, go to work every day, boss people around, fuck a bunch of movie stars, A-list only, only, live the life of Brian all day, every day—"

“You’re cracking me up.”

“I’m not finished. Please be quiet. And when you get home at night, no matter how late it is, take off all of your clothes, except your pretty little necktie, call me up, and tell me all about it.” Ah, so that’s it. He turns me around to face him.

“I get it now. That’s the only reason you bought me these clothes, the luggage, everything. You just want to live vicariously through me.” He flutters his eyes at me in that Brian Kinney way that always makes my knees fold. It’s a subconscious thing. He doesn’t even know he does it. He does it in the shower a lot; maybe it’s a “steamy” thing.

“You’re a smart boy. Knew you’d figure it out sooner or later.” His hand is on my ass as he leans in to kiss me.

“So, I’m just you. Only younger, prettier, blonder, with better opportunities?”

“And about to be reminded how you earn them.”

He shuts off the water, a kind, expectant look on his face. I lean back against the wall, a coy smile covering mine, my lips pressed together. He presses himself against me as I put my arms around his neck, his hands roaming down my stomach massaging my cock. He’s whispering things in my ear about how hard and how horny I am. I tell him it’s because of him, of what he does to me.

"You have no idea what I'm going to do to you."

I try to get the condom out of his hand. He won’t let me, quietly laughing at my frustration. He won’t even let me turn around. I find out why a few minutes later. It’s not a condom. It’s a cock ring.

Wait.

It’s two.

The black, rubber one we use all the time, well, he uses on me. The smaller one that looks just like it, I’ve never seen. He kisses me as he slides them on, the smaller one stopping right past the head of my dick. Nice.

“Like that?” He grins at me. I run my finger over it. Looks nice, too.

“Yeah.”

“Thought you would. Time for bed.”

*******************************

He had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude
They said he was ruthless, said he was crude
They had one thing in common: they were good in bed


Brian always gives you what you need, no matter who you are. Doesn’t matter if it’s a push in the right direction, a job when you’re whole life has fallen apart, or advice that you don’t want to hear, but you know is the truth. Or the best, most mind-blowing orgasm of your life. You can always trust him to do that. You can always trust him.

There were so many times when I felt some stupid need to test him, to make him prove how much he loved me. And then, when he wouldn’t, I thought that he didn’t, not understanding that he just doesn’t take tests. Took me so long to figure that out. He may not have used those exact words back then, but I could tell by the look on his face every time I doubted him, that I’d insulted him. It was a buried emotion, but I could see it. That was how I knew.

He doesn’t take tests, but he never backs down from a challenge or a chance to remind everyone that he’s unpredictable, in charge, and, if he wants, powerful. I see this side of him at work when I drop by, when the world needs to be saved, and in the bedroom, where I get to benefit from one of his other over-looked qualities—his generosity.

This collage of qualities he has—his power, his generosity, the fact that I can trust him implicitly even when I’m in the most vulnerable place I’ve ever been, makes him irresistibly attractive to me.

Oh god. That was the longest, hardest, best kiss I’ve ever had, and it’s still warm and steamy in here. Probably from the kissing. He wants me to dry him off now.

**************************

Life in the fast lane
surely make you lose your mind


I didn’t do a very good job drying us off. He looks incredible on these white sheets.

“I just realized I’ve never seen you like this, Brian.”

“Like what?”

“Glowing under this orange light on white sheets. Plus, I barely dried you off. You look like a model or something. You're glistening."

“It’s our own little White Party. You finally get to go to one.” He pulls me down on top of him. The sheets are sort of sticking to us ‘cause we’re still a little wet. He’s playing with my dick, fingering the rings, driving me crazy. “You know how pretty your cock looks when it’s all dressed up?”

“Yes.” God, that’s embarrassing for some reason.

“I’m not done dressing you up.” I know. I know what he’s going to do. I try to straddle him. I want him to do it.

“Oh no, you’re gonna suck me off first, then you’ll get what you want.” I moan into his mouth. He ends our kiss. “Get between my legs.” He bends his knees as I start licking my way down his chest, stopping to suck on his nipples for a while, his thighs hugging me tightly. “Nice, Justin.” He strokes my wet hair, his hand on my arm. I bite them as I keep moving. He slaps my hand. “Don’t start that shit with me.” I smile a little. “Unless that’s what you want. Payback, Sunshine. Payback.”

Yeah. Payback.

I laugh quietly, my eyes raised in his direction as I lick his ab muscles. He’s smiling at me, relaxing back onto the pillows, lacing his fingers with mine.

“Much better.”

He starts to moan softly when I get to his navel. I feel him toying with strands of my hair, his breathing changing a little. I can see the muscles in his thighs defining themselves as I lay the side of my face next to his cock and let my warm breath float over it as I touch it lightly with my fingers. His dick is gorgeous. Sometimes I just like to lie here and look at it. I reach my hand out and run the back of it down the inside of his inner thigh, my fingers slowly trailing all the way down to his ass and then back up again.

“Hmmmm. You’re being awfully sweet to me.”

“Can’t help it.”

He squeezes my hand. My tongue reaches out, just barely, making small, repetitive runs from about halfway up his cock, over the ridge and then swirling around the head. He’s wet. He shifts a little underneath me, making it fall closer to my mouth. I bring my hand back from his thigh and run my finger up and down the far side of his dick while I lick the side closest to my mouth, a little harder now.

“Good, Justin.” He arches into my mouth. Our hands part. I need it. I need more hands.

When I press him hard against my mouth, he gets wet again, so I flick my tongue over the head a few times until he’s begging me to fuck his slit. And then I do. He cries out and pulls the fuck out of my hair. The absolute fuck. I slide him into my mouth. He lies back down a little, loosening his grip on my hair. He can feel me smiling as I suck him.

“Liked that, didn’t you?”

“Hmm?” My mouthful of cock.

“Like to hear me call your name like that, don’t you?”

“Mmm, hmm.”

“Keep that up and you’ll hear it again.” Promises, promises. I pull off of his cock for a minute, my mouth kissing it’s way down his shaft to his balls, sucking them into my mouth. He starts stroking himself. “You’re trying to kill me. Don't think I don't know that."

“I like to watch you like this. When you get so crazy, you have to touch yourself while I enjoy the rest of you.” He wants to tell me I’m a shithead or something, but he can’t when I'm blowing on his balls. Just won’t work. “Don’t come, Brian.”

He ignores that. He won’t.

“Suck, Justin.”

I go back to sucking his balls, the way he likes, the way he always has, even now when they’re different---one so heavy, one not. Doesn’t matter. I give them both equal treatment, saving the real one for last because by then his eyes are rolling back in his head and he wants to come.

“Get back here."

He orders me back to his cock, his hand sliding away as he pushes my mouth down his dick. He clamps my head for a while with both hands, fucking my face, telling me how good I am, how much my pretty little face deserves to be fucked. I love when he gets like this. His hands leave my head for a second because he wants me to drive now, he wants to relax, and because he’s opening the lube. I can hear him. He grabs my right hand, coats my fingers, and then falls back on the pillows.

“Go.”

I don't suck him while I do this. He'll come. I watch his face, his beautiful face. I watch his eyes flutter as my warm, wet fingers pass back and forth outside his hole. Easy, gentle pressure. I listen to him say my name quietly and then a little louder as I slowly slide inside. Brian's tight. Unbelievably tight. I watch his fingers come down and dig into the top of his leg. I listen to him breathe, when he does. When he can. He gasps a little when my hand starts to move inside him, his hips following my lead. I smile as he throws his arms over his head and holds onto the bed and starts giving me orders again.

“Push. Push."

He likes to bark orders. Makes him feel in control. That’s okay. I like it, too. Tables will turn in just a second, though.

Right when he lets go, when he's lying here with his cock hard and warm and wet, and his ass slick and open, and everything inside him feeling like it’s about to overheat and erupt and surrender and betray him all at the same time. The tables will turn.

“I want you to come, Brian.”

“Christ.” He arches so hard that his face is practically facing the wall behind our bed.

“Open your eyes, look at me, and come.” I’m jerking him for a second, his cock soaked with my spit. He looks at me. “That’s better. Now, come.” I take him in my mouth again. He watches me, his eyes growing wider. I suck him hard, scissoring my fingers in his ass. That did it. He’s gone. He’s flooding my mouth, his fingers digging grooves into my head.

“Ah, ah, oh god, oh god, oh shit, oh god.”

I hold him still as his cock gives up the fight in my mouth and then slowly slip my fingers out of his ass. He smiles, wanting me on top of him immediately, pulling me hard. He wants to kiss me, to lick his come off of my tongue. He’s out of breath.

“I love when you do that. Fuck, I love when you do that.” He repeats himself a lot after he comes. It’s pretty funny, actually, and kinda cute.

“I love it, too. I love it, too.” He smacks me on the butt, and then kisses me.

“Oh, you’re so going to get it, Justin. So going to get it.” I start laughing.

“How long have I got?” He acts like he didn’t hear me. “Brian, how long have I got?” He busts out laughing at me because I fell for that. I’m a dumb ass.

“Maybe five minutes, if that.”

Shit.

Shit.

***************************
They were rushing down that freeway,
Messed around and got lost,
They didn't care,
They were just dyin' to get off.


Brian’s really smart. Really, really smart. He knows we have to do things in a certain order. He knows that if we don’t, I’ll be way too far gone to be the good boy he wants me to be.

He gives me seven minutes. Seven minutes before he starts to sit up, before he starts kissing me more than I'm kissing him. Seven minutes before I'm straddling him again, before his hand's on the back of my thigh pulling me against him, before he's breathing a very hot, very generous offer in my ear.

"My lap, Justin."

Part of me wants to tell him that I don't even deserve this extra attention after the way I behaved today, but he'd never listen to that. I kiss him again before I move to his right side, keeping my eyes locked on his as I lie across his lap. The sheets are cool against my face. I listen to him, to his low, soothing voice.

“You’re going to have something in your bottom tonight when I spank you, Justin.” Oh god, I know. I want it. I’ll beg.

“Please, Brian."

“You want it, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Show me you want it.”

He raises his eyebrows at me. I rub his thigh with my left hand, raise my ass the way he likes, and spread my legs. I want him to plug me. God, I want it.

“You’re not wasting any time, huh?” I shake my head.

“Do it.”

His left hand is heavy on my lower back as he starts lubing me with his fingers. I close my eyes. I love this, and he knows it. He gets me worked up on purpose. Once he plugs me, this’ll be hard and fast. It always is like this. I start fucking his hand, slowly, trying to hold back. I could do this all night, but if I don’t, the most amazing orgasm awaits me. So I won't.

“You’re quite the little slut, Justin.” I open my eyes for a second and cut my eyes at him. Like he didn’t make me this way.

“I am not.”

He’s spreading me apart, making me moan, his hot breath warming my hole before he starts to push the butt plug inside me. I feel my body taking it because I want to take it and because he wants me to take it. I moan like crazy. I can’t fucking help it.

“Oh, yes, you are. Just look how your little ass begs for this thing. Just begs.” God, this feels so good, and not just this, but him doing this to me.

“More.” Oh god, I am a slut. And I like it. And I don’t care. “More, Brian.”

“Take it, Justin." He pushes harder, telling me he loves watching my hole like this. "I want you plugged when I spank you and red and burning when I fuck your wet, little asshole. Open up."

It’s all the way in. I can tell because of his hands. Warm, flat against my ass and the other on my cock, his finger running around the rings. He’s teasing my slit. Oh god.

“Hard and fast, Justin. You're gonna take this hard and fast." I’m whimpering, and he hasn’t even done anything. “Did you hear me?”

He knows I heard him.

“Yes.”

“Good boy.”

My eyes slam shut when I feel his hand first make contact with my ass, and his free hand finds mine immediately. The muscles in my neck and shoulders tense as I hold my breath and keep my bottom where he wants it. He likes that. He can tell I'm trying to stay on my knees, makes him so hard. My breath hitches over and over and over, and I feel like I have to keep licking my lips, or I just want to or something. I need something in my mouth. I need something everywhere, in my mouth, my ass, everywhere. I want him to fill me. He teases my lips with his finger, but won't let me have it.

"Uh, uh, Brian. Please."

"No."

And I know I'm wet. I'm so fucking wet; I'm starting to drip on his legs.

"I want to hear you, Justin. Moan."

I do. He takes his hand away from my mouth and starts stroking himself slowly. I reach for his leg again, my fingers slipping on my own offering on his legs. I rub his thigh, watching his hand slowly pleasuring himself while he keeps spanking me, again and again.

"You like to watch me, Justin?"

"Yes."

"Like to see how hard I get when you're across my lap, when you do what you're supposed to do for me?"

"Yes."

"You want something in your mouth?"

"Yes, please."

His cock beads in his hand and he wipes it off with his thumb and puts it my mouth. Then he reaches for mine and does the same thing. I whine when he takes his hand away. He pops me hard. He pretends he doesn't like that.

The plug bumps inside me as he spanks me, making every stinging slap feel incredibly like an orgasmic near-miss, the pressure building in my ringed cock. I start to pant. He backs off after several strikes on my ass, and starts on the back of my thighs and then in between my legs. I want to tell him that I love this, that I love him, that I love how he knows how to take me right to the edge and not a fraction of an inch farther, but I can barely speak. I can tell by the look on his face that he's proud of me, that I did a good job for him tonight. He'll reward me for that. Don't know how or when, but he will. He always does.

He stops for a second, and I think that maybe we’re through, so I open my eyes, and he’s smiling at me, running his fingers through my hair. I didn’t even know he let go of my hand.

“You okay?” I nod. He presses on the butt plug, pushing it further inside me. I moan. “Almost done.”

“Brian, I want you to fuck me.”

“I know.”

He squeezes my hand before he starts this time, so I know what to expect—a very sharp, very intense spanking that leaves my bottom hot, red, and burning—just the way he wants it. And that's what I get. He slides his hands underneath me when it's over and rolls me over onto my back, his body heavy on top of mine, his voice seeped with lust. My tears are hot on my face. They burn. His fingers are as hot as my ass.

"Brian, please, just fuck me. Oh god, please."

I look through my blurry eyes as he kisses me and then practically scream as he starts moving down my body, my head thrashing on the sheets where he left me alone. I can feel the heat from his fingers running underneath the edge of the plug as his tongue starts licking my balls. My eyes roll back in my head.

"Brian, stop. God, stop."

He taunts me, taking my cock in his mouth and sucking on me hard. I slam my feet into the mattress and arch into his face. He pulls off fast, so roughly it almost hurts, making me gasp and starts sucking on my inner thigh. I yank on his hair, out of breath.

"Stop, stop, please. Just please fuck me, please." It comes out like a sob. He looks up at me, his dark eyes underneath his dark eyelashes. He's so fucking beautiful.

"You need me to fuck you?" His voice scrapes me.

"Please."

He gives me the most predatory smile I've ever seen on his face as he slithers back up my body. I swear to god I'm going to faint. His fingers are under the edge of the plug again, tugging. He wants it out.

“Relax, Justin, let me have it. Let it go.”

He praises me when he slides it out. He’s sheathed and inside me seconds later, propping my legs on his shoulders. I’m pretty much useless, not much help. His lips trail down my wet face as he fucks me. His arms are tight around me.

“You’re amazing, Justin. You feel fucking amazing.”

I can’t believe what he does to me. It makes me want to scream, to turn myself inside out; it feels so good. So intense. So—

“Did you like that, Justin?” I can feel his stubble against my neck, his long fingers in my hair.

“Yes, oh god, yes. Fuck me." I can’t hold on to him tight enough. I just can’t.

“Wanted me to remind you where you belong—" He's so hard, so hot, so everywhere inside me.

“Yes. Do it."

“Who you belong to?” He’s pulling my hair.

“Uh, Brian.”

“That you’re mine, every bit of you—" Oh god, this is it. “Your lips, your wet, little mouth, your fingers, your cock, and this tight, hot bottom of yours—"

“Oh fuck, Brian. Please—"

“That it’s all mine.”

I start clinging to him tighter and tighter as I feel the pressure building inside me. Every single pore of my body is going to come, and there’s nothing I can do about it. Nothing I want to do about it. I can’t stop it, this loud, rushing, runaway train that’s totally out of control.

“Brian, I’m going to come all over everything.” He laughs at that, looking down at my ringed cock.

“Go ahead, I’ve got you. I’ve got every bit of you.”

I start to come, which is usually followed by a bunch of gibberish coming out of me, and tonight is no exception. It’s probably not helping that I’m getting on a plane in the morning, although he's managed to make me forget that for almost an hour.

“Oh god. I’m sorry. I tried to wait. I couldn’t. I tried. I love you. Oh god. Oh please. Oh god. Oh shit.”

He doesn’t really say anything until he comes which is maybe a minute later. I almost have to cover my ear he groans so loud, or maybe my ears are just really sensitive after I come. I don’t know anymore, nothing really makes much sense after I come.

“I love you, too, Justin. I fucking love you, too.”

Oh god. That was the reward.

Chapter 20-Revelation-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede

BRIAN'S POV

When are you gonna come down
When are you going to land

the middle of the night….


He’s asleep in my arms, facing me, his arms curled against my chest, the sheen from our shower and the sweat from our fuck long evaporated. The minutes after passed in slow motion for me as the orgasms he ripped out of me like a pull cord on a parachute faded away into reality, the harsh reality of our lives as the ground started rushing closer and closer and closer…


I felt his fingers straighten along my back as I held him, as he clung to me, as I let him relax without letting him go, his lips lodged in the crook of my neck, keeping busy, his voice sweet and soft.

”Tell me. Was I a good boy?”

“Such a good boy. I’m so proud of you.”


I closed my eyes, the grip of his snug little ass and his needful moans bringing my cock back to life.

“Mmm, Justin. Gonna fuck you again.”

His fingers trailed up and down my chest as I switched to a new condom, his vulnerable lust simmering quietly behind his eyes. I watched his expression go from impassioned to satisfied as he rode the warm fullness and the familiar pain that spread through him, the burning stretch in his thighs, and the weight of my body on top of him. His body was soon lazy underneath me, tired.

“You okay? Am I hurting you?”

“Yes.”


And then he kissed me. The rest of his answer. When I came, the louder I got, the tighter he held me. He knew I didn’t want it to be over. It couldn’t be.

When he came, I convinced myself that he was screaming just like I was, but he wasn’t. Not at all. He wasn’t plummeting toward the ground like me; he was floating, peacefully above the clouds. His voice was a hushed whisper.

”Just stay with me, Brian. Stay right here with me.”

“I am. I’m not going anywhere.”


**************************
getting down
so deep I could’ve drowned



And I didn’t. I couldn’t. Because he was floating and I was flooded with every emotion I’d ever let myself have for him for the last four years. I never knew you could fall toward the earth at a million miles an hour and drown at the bottom of the ocean at the same time.

You can.

I was underwater when it all came to me. That I fell in love with him in bits and pieces. That there wasn’t one moment when I knew. It was just like this, like drowning, a ridiculously slow, wrenching process. Painful, not because it had to be, but because for some reason, I needed it to be. You should find another tactic. Somehow I knew that if I made it to the other side, to the euphoric feeling that swarms you right before the darkness comes, and he was still with me that all of this pain would be worth it. Because I knew from the very first time I made love to him that something was different. I’m onto you. Because it wasn’t about him pleasing me, it was about me pleasing him. My hands wandered all over him when I fucked him, but my focus wouldn’t. For the first time, it stayed put. And then feeling him, hearing him, seeing him dissolve in my arms like he is right now, made every drug I’ve ever taken a colossal waste of time.

And when I surfaced from this underwater revelation, he was quiet, moaning softly when I brushed his damp hair off of his forehead, when I gently pulled out of him, when I sorted out the twisted sheets we were wound in and covered us, pulling him to me, his face warm against my chest. He was out within minutes, his occasional sigh a reminder of the intense pleasure making both of us drunk with sleep.


His hair is flying up and tickling my nose now every time I breathe. Ordinarily that would drive me crazy, but not tonight. Not when the way he smells—the shampoo I used on him, the scent of his body after we fuck, and the way these sheets soaked with our sweat and our come are making the best goddamn cocoon I’ve ever found for the next few hours. I know this cocoon. I’ve slept in it for four years and like any cocoon it’s spurred a metamorphosis.

I think. I hope.

I pray.

************************

Try to take a tiger from his daddy's side

The only real way to fight insomnia is to thumb your nose at it. To convince it that you’re above it, that you don’t need sleep anymore. Turn your back on the monster and it will walk away—defeated. That must be what happened tonight. That must be why I finally slept like a rock. Why for once I didn’t wake up to find him sleeping somewhere else. Tonight it went on and on and on. It was happening to me, and I was watching it happen to me, and then, finally, everything changed. I don’t know how, and I don’t know why, but somehow it did.

”So, Mr. Kinney, we’re going to use some of these images you see here to familiarize the customer with your product, to give them a sense of what it’s about.”

Mr. ShutTheFuckUp’s in rare form today. I can’t see his face, just like always, but he’s giving it everything he’s got. He came prepared today.

I look at my watch. Justin’s late again. But then, no, he walks in the door—smiling, beautiful, and tan. He’s not even beside me yet, and I can smell him. Suntan lotion, California. Wearing the suit I gave him and my necktie. Mr. ShutTheFuckUp is smiling.

He’s proud of him.

“Mr. Taylor.”

“Gentlemen. I apologize. My plane was delayed.”

“Not a problem, sir.”

He sits down beside me, puts his briefcase next to him on the floor. It’s exactly like mine. Exactly. Wait, it is mine. Has my initials on it. He takes my hand and squeezes it and then starts whispering to me. His hands are so hot, like sand on a beach in July at two o’clock in the afternoon.

I almost pull away. But I don’t. He starts talking to me.

“Hey.”

“Hey. You look nice.” I haven’t seen him since he left me tomorrow. That makes no sense.

“I wanted to look pretty for you.” Why's he wearing his sunglasses?

“Take those off. We’re inside.” He just smiles, tries to placate me.

“This meeting’s almost over, Brian.” It is?

Justin’s right. Mr. ShutTheFuckUp’s handing me papers and a pen.

“Just sign here, Mr. Kinney, and we have a deal.”

We do? What deal? Everyone’s smiling at me.

What the fuck? Justin’s staring off into space. Can’t get his attention. I sign the papers. As soon as I do, Justin looks at me again. Like it brought him back to earth or something. He’s standing up, sitting a frosty bottle of champagne on the conference table with a loud thud.

Where the fuck did that come from?

“Gentlemen, I think this calls for a celebration!”

Is this how they do things in L.A.? Justin doesn’t know how to pop a cork like that. He sucks the overflow into his mouth like it’s my come. Jesus.

“Justin? What the fuck?”

Then I notice. Then I see. He’s morphed again. He’s not wearing anything but his white dress shirt, partially unbuttoned, and his necktie, inside his collar, just like last night in the hotel room. That’s it. And his sunglasses. Nice touch. I’m mortified. He’s not. And his voice has changed. He’s coming on to me.

“Come here, Brian.” Pulling my jacket. Trying to wedge himself between me and the table. “You smell good.” He’s not tan anymore.

“Justin, we can’t do this right now.” He doesn’t smell like California anymore. He smells like he always does—right after we fuck.

“Sure, we can.” He’s trying to loosen my tie. Have to pry his fingers off of it.

“No. We’re in a meeting. See? All these people? You need to put some pants on.” He turns around and glances at them, gives them a quick smile.

“No pants in your kingdom, remember?” He winks at me. “Besides, they don’t mind. And I know you don’t.” Hops up on the conference table and pulls me between his legs, lowers his lashes, runs his fingers up and down my shirt. I try to reason with him.

“No, I don’t, but not like this. Get down and get dressed.” I feel like I’m talking to a child. I don’t like it.

“I don’t want to get down and get dressed. I want you.” He lies back on the table, bending one knee up, my necktie firmly in his grasp. I fall on top of him. No choice. “Now. Fuck me, Brian.” Grabs the back of my head and kisses me hard, pushing his tongue into my mouth.

And I do want him, god, I want him, but I know better. Thank god, I know better. I hope that no one can hear because I know I don’t sound very nice.

I’m so fucking angry.

“Get the fuck off of this table, Justin. Go find your fucking clothes and put them on. You’re pissing me off.”

I make him sit up and get off the table. He won’t look at me until his hand is on the doorknob. Then he turns around. Sunglasses gone. Tears in his blue eyes. Hurt. Heartbroken. Always. Because of me.

“I’ll see you in your dreams, Brian. And this—this is a really old movie.”

Huh?

He opens the door right then and that cold blast of air hits me like it always does.

No.

I panic and try to stop him, but he’s gone by the time I get to the door. Everything’s gone—him, the doorknob, the door, everything, but me. I’m still here.

Me and Mr. ShutTheFuckUp, who apparently, can’t.

“Was he a good boy for you, too?”

“What?”

I’m running my eyes and my hands over and over the walls. The door has to be here somewhere. Doors just don’t disappear. But this one did. It’s gone—for good.

“You heard me. Was he a good boy for you, too?”

Mr. ShutTheFuckUp reveals himself finally. Justin was right all along. It was his father.

The deal I just made was with Craig Taylor. I think I’m going to throw up.

“Shut the fuck up.”

“Because he was always a good boy for me, until he met you, that is. Until you took that away from me.” He’s coming toward me—with a bat. A bloody bat. I can’t back up any farther. I’m flat against the wall.

“He is a good boy—a good man. Get away from me.” Get the fuck away from me. I’ve got to get out of here. I’ve got to find Justin.

“Well, I wouldn’t know. Would I? I don’t know my own son. Sit the fuck down.” Threatens me back into my chair. “Seems to me like Hobbes hit the wrong guy. Don’t you think?”

I’ve always thought the same thing. Might as well admit it.

“Yes.”

“Speak up. I can’t hear you, you goddamn cocksucker.” His eyes look like they're on fire. He’s going to kill me. I can’t let him kill me.

Justin’s out there all by himself.

In the freezing cold.

Because of me.

“I said, ‘yes.’”

The room’s getting darker. I can see the other people who’re in here. Bible beaters. Party Bitch. Waitress. My mother. Passing out bibles. Telling everyone to pray.

Oh god. This is it. This is the end. It’s over. I start to shake. The grain in the wood of the bat is stained with Justin’s blood. So close to my face. Craig’s knuckles are almost white. He smells like Old Spice. He smells like my father. Feel the acid from my stomach burning the back of my throat.

“You’re going to listen to me you son of a bitch.”

“I am listening.”

“Shut up. I don’t want to hear another goddamn word come out of your cock sucking mouth ever again.”

I’m afraid.

that Justin is all alone out there—that I won’t get to him in time—again

that I’m going to cry. I don’t want my father to see me cry.

My father.

Craig smokes. I can see the tar in his teeth. I can smell it on his clothes, on his breath.

Liquor.

“All I ever wanted was to come home from work some night and sit down with my son, have a beer, watch the game. Wanted to give him advice when it was time to apply for his first real job or get married to a pretty girl. I didn’t want this—my son—my goddamn Sonny Boy to be a goddamn Sissy Boy.”

Spitting on me he’s so mad.

“Don’t think for one minute that you’re not gonna pay for destroying my entire family.”

Destroyed my entire family.

I don’t want to touch that bloody bat. It’s dripping now. So help me god I don’t want to touch it. Don’t want Justin’s blood on my hands. Feel the tears starting to run down my face. I can’t see my body. Can’t look down. But I know I’m small.

“Don’t hit him, Jack!”

My mother.

“Please don’t hit him, Daddy.”

A little girl in the corner, watching. Claire?

Please don’t hit me in front of the little girl. Please don’t hit me in front of anybody else.

Craig has my father’s voice.

“Won’t matter if I hit you, will it? Won’t knock any sense into you. You’re just like your mother. Fucking useless.”

Make the little girl leave. Like you always do.

Joanie, get her the fuck out of here. This is between me and my Sonny boy.

I pretend she’s gone. Just like old times.

“Isn’t it, Sonny Boy? Between me and you? Man to man?”

“Yes, sir.”

The more you respect him, the harder he hits.

The harder he hits, the quicker it’s over.

Blood, and bat, and bright, bright light.

I flinch at the loud cracking sound. Warm feeling, my own blood flooding over my skin making me relax for some reason. Because it’s over?

Open my eyes.

Not bloody.

Not dead.

Confused.

I can move. It’s not over.

Go, Brian, save yourself! Go! My mother’s voice.

If I leave, they all suffer. I didn’t protect them. I left them. Alone.

The door reappears. Open it and step-

Right into the prom.

Daphne. Her pretty peach dress. A boy. A white scarf. A tuxedo. The dance floor goes on forever.

Not a high school boy. A little boy—in her arms. His back to me. He turns around. I see his face.

Gus— a four year old body, a teenage face with acne in Daphne’s arms, feeling her up. Going through my pockets, pawing me.

I slap him. Hard.

Now, I fight back? Now?

“Stop it. Stop touching me. No gum. Where’s Justin? Where is he?”

“Need weed, Dad. You always have weed. He’s long gone. Said it was the best night of his life.” He lights a cigarette.

“Don’t smoke in here, you rebel.” Daphne, flirting with him, with my son. “Better go find him, Brian. This is all your fault.”

“Yeah, Dad, this is all your fault.”

I’ll find him. I’ll find him. I will. They’re playing our song as I run off the dance floor and back into the garage.

Only it’s not the garage.

It’s the hospital.

I look down. The scarf is in my hand.

I can smell everything. Hospital smell. Burnt coffee. Antiseptic. Dying. Don’t know where he is, just know I need an elevator to get to him. Just have to. Elevators everywhere. All alone in the one I take. Everything so empty. Barely moving. Why won’t it move? All the buttons lit because I don’t know the answer.

You didn’t protect him before. You can’t protect him now.

“You couldn’t even protect yourself, could you, Sonny Boy?”

Why can’t anyone hear me when I scream? When I bang my black and blue fists on the doors? Bruises everywhere because I’ve been beaten.

Again.

An eternity of up and down when the doors open, when I’m crouched in the corner, when people I don’t know, people who don’t see me, can’t hear me, wheel his body in on a gurney.

Why don’t they see me?

Because they’re gone.

Because it’s just me and him. This is between me and you. Right, Sonny Boy?

His tuxedoed body underneath me on the gurney. And then me on top of him, holding him, kissing him, squeezing him, trying to love him.

And then I can hear it.

And then I can feel it. Suite 2821, Mr. Kinney. Enjoy your stay. The drop in the pit of my stomach.

We’re falling and I don’t know how to save him. Dropping from twenty-eight. I can’t.

Twenty-seven

falling

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Justin.”

Twenty-six

Go slow, okay?

Twenty-five

falling….I want you safe. Oh god.

Twenty-four

falling

Return my son to me.

Twenty-three

falling

Twenty-two

Will I see you again?

Twenty-one

faster

Twenty

“I can’t stop hurting you. I’m so, so sorry.”

Nineteen

faster

What is this? A missile launch?

Eighteen

And my tears make the blood run down his face and all over his pillow.

Eighteen

“How old are you really?”

Eighteen

a spin around a dance floor

Seventeen

“Justin, this is my fault. I did this to you.”

a walk down a crowded sidewalk

I brace him for the crash that will end this for both of us. I try. So hard.

I guess ‘Gus’ is okay.

“Oh god, Justin. I love you.”

Sixteen

Clutching his bloody body in my arms, covering him, my ears deaf to my own screaming.

I’m not screaming. I can’t breathe.

I can only hear.

Him.

Fifteen

“It stops here, Brian.”

It stops?

Feel only him.

I’m being held just as tightly…

Fourteen

A jolt. Slamming into the wall. Me and metal and me still holding him.

A thud louder than frosty champagne on a conference table. Celebrate?

It stops.

A look on his face. A hand on my face. Hands in my hair.

A promise. “It’s over.”

Everything still and quiet and clear.

And heavy. My body so heavy on him.

“It’s okay now, Brian. It was love to me.”


*******************************
Offer up your best defense
But this is the end
This is the end of the innocence

3:54 a.m.


I woke up thinking that I was clutching the white scarf next to my face, forgetting that there were white sheets, white pillowcases on our bed.

I woke up thinking that he was too quiet, too still, not breathing, forgetting that he was sound asleep in my arms, curled against me because he wanted to be, not because he was suffering.

I woke up praying that it was finally over. That I had refused to fight this anymore, and that, finally, I had won.

*******************
stand by your man

He woke up because I sneezed.

“Jesus, Brian.”

Whoops.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. Your hair was in my nose.” He stretches out like a cat, pressing his very warm body against me, making me kind of glad I sneezed on him after all.

Until he looks at my face.

“Are you okay? Are you crying?”

“Allergies.” He snorts at that.

“You don’t have allergies, Brian.”

“Apparently, I do. To you.” He moves up on the bed a little so he’s not buried under the covers like the mole that he is and lays his head on my pillow beside mine.

“Your pillowcase is damp.”

“You can leave it at that, if you don’t mind.” He smiles at me as he leans in to kiss me, then rolls onto his back.

“Come here.” He reaches out for me, and I lay my head on his chest. I can feel him twisting my hair in his fingers. “Let me guess, okay?”

“Let you guess what?”

“What’s bothering you.”

“Nothing’s bothering me.”

“Okay. Whatever you say, but I’m gonna guess anyway.”

“Fine. But there’s nothing’s bothering me, so no matter what you guess, you’ll be wrong.” What the fuck logic is that anyway? “But guess away.”

“Okay.” He takes a deep breath. “You were really loud when you came the first time, you almost busted my eardrum, which means that you were probably thinking about that parachute thing because you always think about the parachute thing when you come that hard. I mean that was really, really, intense—“

He’s totally molesting me under the covers right now, like I don’t even notice. Unbelievable.

“—and if you thought about the parachute thing, then you thought about yourself plummeting to the earth at a million miles an hour. Now, the second time you came you were louder than usual. You’re not usually very loud the second time. Actually, that was really your third time, remember because I blew you earlier—“

“I don’t ever forget when you suck me off. Trust me.”

God, he’s hard.

Why are we having this conversation again? I’m completely lost.

“Which means that when you fell asleep you had a dream about falling—“

How the fuck does he know that?

“—which you do a lot after you fuck yourself into oblivion, by the way. Might be something you want to think about.” Fuck myself into oblivion. Uh huh.

“How do you know that’s what I was dreaming about?” Psychic little fucker.

“Well, it’s pretty simple really. When you have these nightmares, you either get kind of violent and kick me and yell and shit so I go sleep on the couch or you do just the opposite, you get really clingy. That’s what you did tonight. You kind of smother me. It wakes me up.”

Shit.

“It woke you up?”

“Yeah. If I’m anywhere near you in bed when it happens, you try to smother me. And don’t ask me why I don’t try to wake you up. I’ve tried. You just smother me worse. I gave up on that shit a long time ago.”

“I did this to you tonight?”

“Yep. You were squeezing me tighter than Debbie hugs Michael.” Oh god, that’s bad.

“I don’t need that image in my head.” He laughs.

“Sorry.” He puts his hand on my chin and lifts my face up a little. “But you were really upset tonight, too. I finally just put my hand on your face and started talking to you, trying to get you to calm down. You were mumbling a bunch of shit I couldn’t understand. I was terrified that you were gonna wake up and smack me or something. But you didn’t.”

For once.

“What did you say to me?” I’m almost afraid to ask him for some reason.

“Don’t make fun of me if I tell you.”

“I won’t.” I run my hand behind his head.

“I’m serious. Don’t” He gives me a warning look. “I just told you that it was just a dream, like a scary movie, that it would be over soon, you were okay, that I loved you. Stuff like that.” He puts his hands on his face. “Now, I’m embarrassed.”

I move his hands off of his face and kiss him. A lot. Until he’s not embarrassed anymore.

“What was that for?”

“For being a brave little fucker.” I guess you have to be to sleep in this bed.

“Thanks.” He’s been running his foot in between my legs this entire time. “So, was I close about that parachute thing?”

“Hell, no.” I’ve got to find a new metaphor. And I’ve got to quit telling him shit. When did I tell him?

“You’re such a liar. But that’s okay because you know what?”

“What?”

“When I get back from L.A., I’m gonna teach you how to float.” I look up at him, my eyebrows raised.

“You are?” Interesting. This coming from a man who has a plug in his ass right now.

“Yep.”

“How do you think you’re gonna do that?” Not that he doesn’t have a PhD in floating because he does. He kisses me on the forehead.

“Easy. I’m gonna go all dom on your ass, take you right to the edge, and then teach you how to come down very, very slowly. Just like you taught me.” He trails his finger through the air like a feather falling to the ground. For some reason, that just made me really, really hard.

“You think so, huh?” He better save up his coupons.

“I know so. I can’t wait.” I’m starting to get a pretty clear picture of all of this all of a sudden. He really is a chameleon. Or a leopard, a rare one, that really can change it’s…..stripes?

“You know what, Sunshine, you’re a fucking switch.” That really makes him laugh.

“Screw all these labels, Brian. I prefer to think that I’m just really in touch with your needs because I am.” He’s definitely in touch with something. He tucks my hair behind my ear and pulls me up a little so he can really kiss me. It’s nice. Feels good. “Now, roll over for me, please.”

That feels good, too. I don’t know if I can wait ‘til he gets back to float like a feather.

California here I come.

********************************
JUSTIN’S POV

He’s got a ticket to ride
And he don’t care

5:24 am Monday morning, the loft bathroom


This is what I’m going to miss the most, until I think of the next thing I’m going to miss. I would have let him dress me up a long time ago if I’d known he was going to fuss over me this much.

“You don’t need a tie with this shirt. Just pack it.”

“You don’t think I should wear a tie?”

“No. You’ll look too stuffy.” He unbuttons the first two buttons on my navy silk shirt and starts fiddling with my gray pants. Well, he’s not fiddling really, he’s fondling.

“Brian.”

“Face the mirror. I’ve got to tuck your shirt in.” Right. “God almighty, you look hotter than fuck in navy blue. I’m going to come in my pants.”

“Thanks.”

“Jesus, I’ve got good taste.”

“I think you mean, Em has good taste.”

“Be quiet, please. I’m trying to concentrate.”

Right. I watch him in the mirror for as long as I can as his long fingers slide inside my pants, outside my underwear, and start slowly teasing my dick. I can feel the back of his index finger trailing up and down, up and down. I can feel all the blood in my body rushing to his hand like it’s been summoned there by a court order or something.

“I like to feel you like this, Justin, all cotton and cock.”

“Hmmmm.”

He makes me moan. He makes me get wet—in my brand new underwear and my brand new pants. He’s evil. I want to turn around to face him, but he won’t let me. He’s running his lips up and down my neck. I reach back and try to pull him down and keep him there.

“Watch the mirror, Sunshine, watch the mirror.”

Like I want to keep my eyes open. I want to close them. Close them and just focus on how amazing it feels to have him touching me like this, like it’s something we shouldn’t be doing. If I close them, I can picture his hand sliding down to my balls and holding them while he kisses me, while he holds me, while he runs the tip of his finger underneath the edge of my underwear, back and forth, drawing a line on my thigh, his other hand spread firmly against my chest. I want to move his hand, show him what I want, but he knows. He’ll give it to me, when he’s ready. I reach behind me and unzip his pants. He pulls me hard against him, trapping my hand between us. I hold my breath. He licks my ear as he watches me in the mirror through his eyelashes.

He startles me when his finger slides inside the opening in my underwear. I gasp. He breathes in my ear as he feels how wet I am, his finger skimming back and forth over the head of my dick.

“Is all of this for me, Justin?” His voice is so low, so amorous. I feel that hot, thick feeling again.

“Yes.”

My mouth is dry. The only part of me that is. I tilt my head back and slide my tongue in his mouth. He takes over immediately, pushing his tongue past mine, deftly teasing every part of my mouth, drawing me up on my toes with want.

I feel like there are strings attached to me, and he just pulls them whenever he wants.

He can feel my hand desperately trying to get inside his pants. He grabs it and plants it on the bathroom counter. My other one follows suit. He’s got both of his hands inside my underwear now as he rests on top of me, his head hanging over my shoulder.

“I’m afraid I have to fuck you now. Got you all dressed and everything. Sorry.”

“Yeah, well, sorry’s bullshit.” He bites my earlobe. “Ow!”

“Don’t take your pretty blue eyes off that mirror, Justin. Look at your face.”

“I am.”

“Not at me. At you. Look how fucking beautiful you are.”

I want to watch him. Watch him as he’s lowering my pants and my underwear, as he’s undoing his belt behind me, as he’s freeing his cock, all with one hand, all while whispering x-rated things in my ear…

”I know you like this, Justin. Being taken like this. When I make you remember that you belong underneath me with your pants down exposing your pretty bottom and your tiny asshole crying for my cock.”

“Mmmm, I don’t want to look at myself. I want to look at you. Please, Brian.”

He’s tearing the condom wrapper with his teeth. I can feel him behind me, getting ready. The anticipation rushes through me.

“I know you do,” his hands press my hips down and back and my eyes open wide as he sinks his cool, slick cock inside me, “but I want you to see what I see—“

…runs his finger over my lips, starts kissing my neck, his eyes, dark and magnetic in the mirror….I look away….

“--how your mouth begs to be kissed—“

…his tongue flicking behind my ear, teasing me…

“--the look in your eyes right before you come.”

His hand slides under my shirt again as he fucks me, sealing me against him.

“I want you to watch the sounds pour out of you as you soak this counter.”

I stare at the mirror. It’s impossible not to look in his eyes.

“At you, Justin. Not me.”

“God, Brian. This is torture.”

“Now you know how I feel, being forced to fuck this little wanton creature all day every day.” I feel so sorry for him. I try to turn my head to kiss him, to stop this, but he holds my chin, so I lick his fingers. He laughs at me.

“That’s not going to work.” I start to moan as he fucks me a little faster, as I open up, his hands on top of mine on the counter now. “No matter how many times I’m inside your tight…..little…..ass, it’s never enough for you, is it?”

I shake my head. It’s never enough. It never will be. My eyes are as dark as my shirt now. He tucks his head against my shoulder blades, panting, pushing, pulling it up, handing it to me.

“Hold it, Justin. Hold on.” I watch his fingers start touching my cock again, reaching down and cupping my balls gently for a second before he moves them upward to wrap around my dick. His thumb spreading my pre-come everywhere. “Wet boy.”

I catch my breath as I bring my eyes back to my own face in the mirror, clutching the blue silk of my shirt as he pulls out and thrusts back into me, deep as he can go, pushing me down hard on the counter.

“’Ah, fuck, uh, Brian.”

I watch myself. See my lips part. See myself unable to put them back together. See my breath fog up the mirror as it times itself with his.

“Uh, uh, uh, Justin.”

If he keeps this up…..oh god…..so deep….

See myself start calling to him. Needing to hear his name. Needing to say it.

“Brian.” Needing to tell him what I want. What I’ve got to have. What he’s got to give me. “More, Brian. Harder, please, harder.”

See me want it.

“More, Justin? You want more?”

See my body quiver with anticipation--

“Please, Brian. Everything. Yes.”

See him give it to me. See me get it.

“Fuck the absolute shit out of you.”

Slamming my hips against the counter, pinching my skin, bruising me. Fucking hurts. His hands rough on my hips, underneath my bottom, pulling my skin, spreading, opening, wide, fingers slicking, stretching tight, wider---

“Oh fuck, oh fuck.”

Keeps saying my name, some of my name, part of my name, and he lov--

Weight, heavy between my shoulder blades, pressing me hard, fast to the counter, flat, willing, expected—

“You’re gonna come for me, Justin.”

My body pushing back. Reflex. A fist in my hair.

Reflex.

My eyes raised and locked to the mirror.

“Right. Now.

See it overtake me, explode.

“Ah, oh, god, oh shit, fuck, oh god.”

See it wash over me like a waterfall, forget how to breathe, squeezing, my eyes closing, then opening when I feel him tensing on top of me, when I feel the second roaring waterfall soaking me—only this time it’s his.

“Oh Brian, Jesus.”

Holding on tight.

Goddamn, Justin. Do not move. Do not move. Holy fuck, do not move.”

I don’t know how to move.

I can’t blink.

He’s moving me.

That was amazing. Torture.

Amazing torture.

He caught every drop I shot in a hand towel and saved my shirt. He’s unbelievable. I don’t know how he did that. I didn’t even notice.

He’s tucking my shirt in. Fixing my hair. It’s a good thing. I can’t remember how.

“You look very pretty. Here, use my cologne. Yours is packed.”

He comes back thirty seconds later and gives me one of his are you a moron? looks because I’m still standing here staring at the bottle. You squirt this stuff, right? He grabs it out of my hand.

“Oh for Christ’s sake, I’ll do it. Go sit on the bed, if you can remember how to do that. I’ll come put your shoes on in a second.”

Um, okay, sounds good to me…

“The bedroom’s that way, Justin.”

Chapter 21-Destination-Brian/Justin's POV by plumsuede
Author's Notes:

This is the finale, however, there are 3 epilogues to follow.

BRIAN’S POV

I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden

6:39 a.m., Monday morning, in front of the loft


It wasn’t until I opened the door to the loft and looked right at it that I felt my overwhelming desire not to take the elevator this morning. But I’ll be damned if I’m gonna explain to him why I’d prefer to drag his brand new suitcases down the stairs. He’s in a good mood, freshly fucked and dressed to kill.

I love breakfast.

“Brian, why aren’t we taking the ‘vette?” Think about it for a minute.

“Because it’s easier to take a cab.” I’m not dealing with a parking garage. Not taking a chance. And it would have to be raining or starting to rain. Wonderful.

“Just quit with the hovering umbrella, okay? You’re making me feel like Michael Jackson.” Here comes the cab right now. Right on time.

“Just getting you ready for Hollywood, ‘Hollywood.’” He just moonwalked. When the fuck did he learn how to moonwalk? “Apparently, you’ve been practicing.”

“Oh my god, I almost busted my ass doing that! Did you see that?” Rain makes sidewalks slippery, Jacko.

“Yeah. It was quite entertaining. I wouldn’t suggest showing off that talent in the clubs out there. Not your sexiest move.” He closes the trunk and grabs the umbrella out of my hand.

“Would you quit it with the damn umbrella?” I grab it back and poke him in the ass with it. Repeatedly. It has this long, silver pointy thing on the end. A million and one uses.

“Get…in…the…fucking…cab.” He tells me he’s going by himself if I don’t quit it. I tell him I’m going to do more than poke him with it if he doesn’t slide the fuck over so I can get in. “Now, Sunshine, unless you wanna be startin’ somethin’.” I get in and tell the cabbie to head to Pittsburgh International.

I’ve embarrassed the shit out of Justin now. He’s cutting his eyes at me. “Beat it.” We both bust out laughing. I pull out my cell phone and hand it to him. “I’m not taking your cell phone, Brian. I told you I’ll get one as soon as I get out there.”

“You should have had your cereal. You’re always bitchy when you don’t eat breakfast, and I’m not giving you my cell phone. I want you to do me a favor and download one of those songs for me. One of those ringing songs.”

“I didn’t have time to eat my breakfast because you were fucking me,” he whispers the last part. Like a cab driver hasn’t heard it all. “You don’t know how to download one, do you?” He thinks that’s funny.

“No, I don’t. Just do it and shut up. And if you’re quick about it and do a good job, I’ll let you have the snack that I brought for you in my pocket.” I can’t believe I’m doing this, bribing him with food.

“You brought me a snack?” He’s so excited. Why does this make me want to make out with him all day?

“I brought you a breakfast bar.”

“Which kind? Apple or strawberry?” Jesus. I have to look in my pocket.

“Uh, guess.”

“Apple?”

“Nope. Sorry. Thank you for playing. We have a lovely strawberry breakfast bar as your consolation prize.” He’s excited now because strawberry’s really his favorite. Like I don’t know that.

“Give it to me.”

“Do my ringy thingy.” He sticks his tongue out at me. I pretend to eat his snack. He gets busy.

“What song do you want?”

Hotel California.” He smiles like a five-year-old on Christmas morning.

“Aw, that’s so sweet.” He starts pushing buttons ninety miles an hour and mumbling to himself. I contemplate really eating his snack. I’m hungry. “Hmmm. No, I don’t want that one. Doesn’t sound very good. Let me check this app. That’s pretty good.” The hell it is. That sounded like shit.

“I don’t want that one. It sounded like the ice cream truck version.”

“Ha, what do you have bad memories of the ice cream truck man, Brian?” He mocks me. Mocks me. “Let me listen to this one. I get a lot of my rings off of this one.”

“As a matter of fact I do, only it was an ice cream truck woman.” So there. Shithead.

“Okay, let me check these two others and then see which one I like the best. What’d she do? Molest you with a fudgesicle?” He thinks he’s so funny. I actually brought him two breakfast bars, but see if I tell him that now.

“No, it was much worse than a fudgesicle, Sunshine. It was one of those fourth of July popsicles, those red, white, and blue ones. I think it even had a firecracker inside it.”

“Oh my god! Stop it! A firecracker!” I won. He lost it. “You know you would be an ice cream truck man if that happened to you, if someone put a firecracker popsicle up your ass! You would’ve loved it!” I flick him really hard on the side of his head. “Ow, fuck!”

“Fucker. Me? You. You’re the most firecracker popsicle ass lover if there ever was one.”

This is the most retarded conversation I’ve ever had with anyone, and I’m having so much fun, and he’s fantasizing. Big surprise, there.

“Yeah, really, just think about it. It'd be all cold, and then red, and then white, and then blue, and then KAPOW!” He waves his hands in the air. “Brian, Brian—“

“Justin, Justin—“ He slaps me.

“Rage and JT could totally market these things. They could do a commercial or a print ad or whatever with those old Batman ‘KAPOEY’ and ‘YOWZA’ things when the firecracker goes off in JT’s ass.”

“I get to drive the truck.”

“There’s no truck, Brian.”

Shit.

“Okay, I found a version I like. It just takes a second to download.”

“ZOWIE!” He flicks me back.

“So you want Hotel California because it reminds you of me being in California? That’s sweet.” Sappy little firecracker ass.

“No. That’s not why I want it.” He thinks about it. Scrunches up his little nose.

“Why? Because of warm smell of colitis, rising up through the air? Is that why?”

“That’s a good reason. But no, that’s not why. You’ll never guess.” He hands me back my phone.

“Here, it’s done. It’s the default ring tone for right now. I’ll tell you how to fix it for just my number when I get my new phone. Give me my snack.” I give him his strawberry breakfast bar and the small bottle of orange juice in my other pocket. He’s so fucking happy. He kisses me. “Okay, so just tell me why since I’ll never guess.”

“Because it’s an amazing song, but mostly because of the line you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”

“That reminds you of me?” Mouthful of breakfast bar.

“Yeah, sort of, it’s my slogan for your ass.”

“Brian!” He looks at me to try to figure out if I’m kidding and then he realizes that I’m not.

“Has been for four years.” I shrug my shoulders. “Sorry if it pisses you off.” He finishes his breakfast and stares out the window. I put my arm around him, very carefully. He says his words to the window.

“I guess it’s a compliment.” I say my words in his ear.

“You’re damn right it is.” He looks back at me and smiles for a second.

“You better not have told anybody else that.”

“Just your mom.” He jabs the fuck out of me with his elbow. “Damn! It’s top secret. Confidential. A matter of national security, locked up tighter than your sweet, little—“

“I get it, Brian.” His hand rests on my leg, snug.

“So, can I have my song back when you get your new phone? My little less conversation, little more action?” I am the King. I think that’s been well established.

“You want the Elvis song that reminds me of my mother’s horniness?”

“You should give it back to me. You know, reassign it. Give it a new and better image.”

“Like one of your ad campaigns?” He’s not going for this one bit. “You know, she told me on the phone last night about her new boyfriend.” This is not going very well.

“Well, if you’d gone to your party last night, she could’ve told you in person like she wanted to.”

“That would’ve made it so much better.” I pull him closer. He settles against me. His eyes still outside his window.

“Don’t you think if Debbie’s getting some dick that your mom should get some, too?” He’s as bad as Michael.

“Okay, can we just stop talking about het sex altogether? I’m gonna toss my breakfast.” He folds his arms and pouts. I kiss the top of his head as I try not to laugh.

“Just give me my damn song and forget about it.” I want my song, damnit.

“Shut up, Brian.” I reach in my pocket and pull out the other breakfast bar, shaking it back and forth.

“Lookie what I brought you.” He takes the breakfast bar, opens it and takes a bite.

“Did you bring me some more juice, too?” Shit.

“No.”

“Then, too bad. No song.”

Twat.

*****************************

Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.



~~Office of the Assistant Director of Homeland Perversity, Washington D.C., 7:16 a.m., Monday morning~~


This is the part of my job that I hate the most.

“Agent Kinney, I assume you understand why you’re here today?”

“Yes, your majesty.” And this is why I hate it. Him. Since when do we debrief an agent before eight a.m. on a Monday morning? Whose coffee did I piss in to get shafted with this fucktard? “I was briefly briefed about this debriefing last Thursday, I believe.”

“Good. Please sign this document stating that you’re aware of the purpose of this meeting today.” I must admit, though, he looks damn fine in all of our regulation black. Black suit, black overcoat, black sunglasses. Which, true to form, he never takes off.

He slides the form back across my desk. Signed. Let’s get this party started.

“Okay, Agent Kinney. I have to do this by myself today, so I will be recording this for your file. Please sign this form indicating that you understand that this conversation is being recorded. While you’re doing that, let me explain the situation to you in very basic terms:

Your employment with the Department of Homeland Perversity, where you have been employed for the last four years, is being terminated as of today. Due to your irrevocable actions in the field over the last four years and the fact that you have blown your cover with your suspect, the United States government has also raised the terror alert in this country to code ‘brown.’”

“Excuse me, your honor, but I wasn’t aware there was a code ‘brown.’”

“It’s not published. That’s the color we go to when the shit hits the fan.”

“I see.”

“And you may address me as ‘Agent P.’ I am neither a judge nor a queen. Although word has it that you are—“

“’P’ for Perversity?” Honestly. Whatever. It’s not worth trying to reprogram him.

“Sure. Whatever works for you. May I continue?”

“Yes, your highness.” Jesus.

“The purpose of this meeting is for you to fully brief me concerning your illicit actions over the past four years, primarily dealing with how your cover was blown so that I can minimize the damage to this agency and this country. At the conclusion of this meeting today, you will be stripped of your credentials, any weapons you still possess, and you will cease to be affiliated with this department any longer. In essence—“

“I’ll be disavowed.”

“That is correct.”

“Before you begin, let me say on behalf of the department, that I was sorry to hear about your bout with testicular cancer in Phase Four of our operation, although I hear it made little to no difference in your extracurricular activities, as well as the death of your father in the initial phase of your assignment. In addition, the department sincerely regrets the trumped up child molestation charge it fabricated. Our intentions of inventing that scenario to help you integrate yourself more firmly into the homosexual lifestyle were based on completely erroneous research. Those on the Phase Three panel that made that decision have all been terminated—permanently. You may begin.”

“I need a microphone.”

“No, you don’t. This entire office is bugged. Just talk.”

“Okay. Um, my name is soon-to-be-not Agent Brian A. Kinney of the Department of Homeland Perversity. I’ve been working undercover for the last four years tracking homosexual conversion terrorist sleeper cells inside the United States, namely a group called HOMOST. I’m married with one son. My wife’s name is Lindsay Peterson. She’s also currently undercover. I take her employment is ending as well?”

“Yes. She’s also done a bang up job. Must run in the family.” Can’t be a very good undercover lesbian if you’re gonna fuck every man that comes to town.

“And my son’s name is Gus. About four years ago I became aware of a sleeper cell of HOMOST operating within St. James Academy which was headed by a young man by the name of Chris Hobbes. Hobbes was very influential and recruited many other students to join him very quickly. One of those students was Justin Taylor. Justin Taylor became the lead recruiter of the group because of his ability to socialize, flirt, and attract men of all ages and bring in new recruits quickly. Hobbes dealt mostly with the higher ups. I’ve spent the last four years attempting to maintain a relationship with Justin Taylor in an attempt to remain on the inside of this very volatile cell.”

“Hobbes is a very violent man, is he not?”

“Yes, he is. As with any terrorist organization, there is a lot of infighting within HOMOST. Hobbes has a very violent temper, and he attacked Mr. Taylor shortly after my relationship with him had really started to solidify. I believe that’s where I began to lose my way, Mother Superior. I ended up having to protect him a lot of the time, even keep vigil at the hospital at night to be sure that Hobbes didn’t come around and try to hurt him again.”

“I know that having your suspect almost killed right in front of you was unbelievably difficult for you, Agent Kinney.”

“You can’t possibly understand how difficult. His survival and my access to him was crucial to the success of the operation. I had given up being with my wife when our son was born for this assignment. I let Mr. Taylor name my son, and then took him home and fucked him while my wife was in the hospital with my newborn son. I had worked too hard to throw it all away.”

“Understood. The department deeply regrets the timing of your initial contact with Mr. Taylor. We in no way meant for it to coincide with the birth of your son. It was an unfortunate coincidence.”

“You have no idea how hard it was for me to leave Lindsay with that HOMOST bitch whore that night.”

“And yet you pulled it off flawlessly, Agent Kinney? How?”

“A B C D E E E. Duh.”

“Of course. Dumb question.” We lose so many of our undercovers to drugs. Agent Schmidt….god…he was touch and go for a long time. Once we cut Kinney loose, we’ll lose him for sure.

“And then, at some point, this relationship with Mr. Taylor crossed the line?”

“Yes. I had to remain extremely cold and distant in order to keep my cover, and as a result, Mr. Taylor left me for months. It was impossible for me to do my job without him with me. I had to have him back. When he returned, I realized he was more to me than just a homosexual terrorist.”

“And your wife?”

“We’d have the occasional walk in the park. I’d see my son, etc.”

“You do realize that you’re not the only man she’s fucking?”

“There are no secrets between my wife and I, Inspector Gadget.” I’ve angered him. His temper is well-documented.

“So she knows you take it up the ass…occasionally?”

“Don’t go there.”

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’ and make a note in your file.” And hers.

“Look, I was balancing the two just fine until you guys forced me to give up my parental rights—“

“That was a mistake on our part. We had every intention of correcting that. Some paralegal thought that up. A temp." Blake somebody.

“Whatthefuckever.”

“So back to Mr. Taylor. When did this all go down the drain, Agent Kinney. When did you pass the point of no return?”

“Last Thursday, when Mr. Taylor—oh, fuck it, Justin, told me he was leaving me again. That he was going to L.A. for eight months. It was too much.”

“And what happened?”

“I freaked. I stowed him away in a hotel all weekend, bought him an ungodly amount of clothes, luggage, etc. Made love to him until he was literally dazed and confused.” Agent Kinney’s reputation precedes him in that department. “And then I told him I loved him.”

“You what?”

“I told him the truth. I told him I love him.”

“Let me guess. That’s what blew your cover, wasn’t it?”

“Possibly.”

“Possibly? Possibly? Agent Kinney, forgive my tone, but what is the first thing you learn when you come to work for the Department of Homeland Perversity? The first thing?”

I cannot fucking believe this. After the amount of money we put into training people. Son.of.a.bitch.

“The department does not believe in love, it believes in fucking.”

Well, that’s sort of it. It believes in fucking UP. But he was close enough. I don’t have the patience to nit pick with him today. What the fuck does it matter now?

“That’s right, Agent Kinney. Your job was to keep your dick up his ass and your heart in an undisclosed location. Pretty simple, if you ask me. Was that too difficult for you?”

“Not exactly. I just kind of panicked there towards the end. I guess you could say I was queening-out.”

“I don’t find that funny, Agent Kinney. Not one little bit.”

“Maybe I just wanted to keep getting my cock sucked. Really well.” We could have trained his fucking wife to do that. Hell, I teach that class.

“Still, not funny. Well, all I need you to do now is tell me the exact details of the specific event that blew your cover, you’ll sign some more papers, and then you’re free to go.”

“Well, Agent 99, the incident started around seven-thirty a.m. when Justin and I arrived at Pittsburgh International Airport.”

“Wait, do you mean to tell me, Agent Kinney, that you made it four years without blowing your cover and you blew it at the fucking airport?”

“We were early for his flight and had a little time to kill. His flight wasn’t going to take off until eight forty-seven a.m. Funny you should say ‘blew it’…."


************************************
JUSTIN’S POV

And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long before you and me run
To the place in our hearts where we hide

7:29 a.m. Monday morning, Pittsburgh International Airport


“I guess this is where we wait.” He was awfully quiet for the last half of the cab ride. His mind was a million miles away. We’re early. I told him we’d have plenty of time. That’s okay. “There aren’t many people here, not as many as I thought there’d be for a Monday morning.”

“Probably because you’re flying non-stop. Plus, it’s U.S. Airways. They aren’t as busy here as American.” He takes my carry-on from me and puts it next to my suitcase and sits down in an area of empty seats. I sit down beside him. It’s drizzling outside, but he’s still wearing his sunglasses. We’re facing a huge window though. There’s glare. “How long’s your flight again?”

“Five hours and nine minutes.” He puts his arm around the back of my chair.

“Your day is going to be fucked up. You’re going to get there and feel like your day started over.”

“I’m a youngster. I can handle it.” I smile at him. He puts his hand on my shoulder. “I’ve got that whole stack of cards and letters from everyone to read, plus two books, plus my sketchpads, plus my ipod. I’ll be busy.” I put my left hand on his thigh.

“I wish you had a cell phone. You need to get one as soon as you get out there. It bugs me, you not having one.”

“I know. You’ve told me three times. I’ll call you from the airport as soon as I land, okay? And if I can, I’ll get a phone today with my extra three hours.”

I look up at him and smile, but he’s looking straight ahead and out the window that’s probably fifteen feet in front of us, just staring at the runway. If he’s gonna wear his sunglasses, I’m gonna wear mine. When in Rome… I pull them out of my jacket that’s laying on top of my suitcase and put them on. He looks down at me and grins, then kisses the top of my head. He pulls me a little closer.

“Don’t you want to take your overcoat off, Brian? Aren’t you hot?” His hand brushes through the back of my hair for a brief second and resumes its place back on my shoulder just as quickly.

“I’m fine.”

I don’t have anything else to say, and it’s actually kind of nice just to be quiet like this with him, watching planes taxi on the runway, watching trucks and maintenance people scurry around while we just sit here calmly next to each other breathing. I look at him, my head against his shoulder, at all of his layers. His shirt, his jacket, his overcoat, his scarf just inside his coat. His perfectly coordinated tie. Everything dark today, almost black, except the shirt and some kind of stripy thing on the tie. He looks impeccable. Impenetrable. Like a rock. A rock that smells really good.

My rock.

I don’t have anything to say, but there’s so much I want to tell him.

Like thank you for everything you’ve done for me. That if it wasn’t for you believing in me every single time I was ready to give up, there’s no way I would be sitting here right now, ready to get on this plane in the first place. If it wasn’t for you pushing me when I was convinced I couldn’t draw or didn’t want to draw or figuring out a way to help me draw, I wouldn’t have had a reason to get on this plane. Thank you for trying so hard to teach me when you need to stand up for something and when you need to stand up for yourself and that sometimes there’s a difference—and that sometimes there’s not. Thank you for all the times that I was the ugliest, most frustrating person in the world, and all you ever did was tell me or show me or make me feel beautiful.

Like he’s doing right now because he’s decided to kiss me. So we’re kissing right in the middle of this indoor waiting area wearing our sunglasses on this sort of drizzly Monday.

We kiss for a long time.

And I have so much to say, so much I want to tell him, but I don’t. I just say,

“You look really nice today, Brian. Really nice.” He pulls me close and kisses me on the forehead, doesn’t say anything. “You kind of look like an F.B.I. agent or something with all this black on and your shades.”

And then he speaks.

“I am. Come here.”

*************************
the future’s so bright
I’ve gotta wear shades


He takes me by the hand with my suitcase and my carry-on, so I grab my jacket, and leads me over to the corner by the window. I think it was getting too crowded for him where we were. I guess. I don’t ask. I don’t really care. He directs me to the corner and boxes me in with my suitcases, leaning me against the wall. I can see the whole waiting area. His back is to everybody. He can see out the window.

He leans over me, blocking my view of anything but him. If I wanted to, I could disappear inside his overcoat. He pulls out his wallet and flips it open. I wish everyone would quit thinking that I need money.

“Mr. Taylor, my name is Agent Kinney, and I’m with the Department of Homeland Perversity. I’ve been tracking your movements for the last four years--“

I start laughing, and then I look at his face, and I stop.

“And I regret to inform you that I’m going to have to take you into custody.” He puts his wallet away. Doesn’t give me any money. I already knew what his driver’s license looked like anyway.

“Why?” I’m glad I have my sunglasses on. Helps me look serious, like him.

“I have evidence that you’re going to attempt to smuggle contraband onto this flight. I have to stop you.”

I wish I had something up my ass right now.

“Really?”

“Yes. It’s my sworn duty to protect American citizens from conniving, scheming, flirty, hot, young bottom boys like yourself.” I put one hand around his waist and run my fingers up and down his neck tie with the other.

“How do you know you’ve got the right man, Agent Kinney?” He leans in and gets right in next to my ear.

“To be perfectly honest, Mr. Taylor, I’m not positive. My suspect goes by several aliases: ‘Sunshine,’ ‘Mr. Justin,’ ‘Little Shit,’ ‘Stupid Little Twat,’ ‘J.T.,’ and, and you’re gonna love this one, ‘Well-Dressed Vigilante,’ and I’m sure there are others. He’s the craftiest little devil I’ve ever met.”

“You don’t say?” He teases my ear with his tongue and then continues.

“If I have to, Mr. Taylor, I’ll employ my top secret interrogation techniques in order to determine if I’ve got the right man.”

“And just where do you think you’re going to do that, Agent Kinney?” I look around at the waiting area filling up with people.

“Right here.”

“Right here? And risk blowing your cover?”

“That’s not what you’ll be blowing, Mr. Taylor. Your knees, please.”

Agent Kinney with all of his years of training knows how to put people in hiding. He sort of manages to nestle me behind my suitcases and behind him and cover me quite nicely with his overcoat. I think about telling him ‘no way, I’m not doing this,’ but then I remember that I’m doing this for my country. I look up at him as I unzip his pants, and he takes my sunglasses off.

“No fair, Br—Agent Kinney. You still have yours on.”

“Making sure I’ve got the right man.” He tucks my glasses in his shirt pocket and lays his hand on the back of my head. He’s pretty much hard. By the time I get him in my mouth that part of the job is done. I don’t waste time. Agent Kinney’s a busy man—who’s trying not to moan. “Fuck this up, Taylor, and I’ll have to strip search you.” I totally contemplate fucking this up as I do what I do best with my tongue. “Mmm, I’ve definitely got the right man.”

You’ve had him for four years.

Sir.

I suck him fast, and he’s working with me, or working me, I should say. It’s been a long time since it’s been like this, him pushing the back of my head, controlling the pace. He wants to be the foreman on this job. I let him. The words I hear when he comes are words I’ve never heard before when Brian’s come is streaming down my throat.

“DADDY! DADDY! There’s Daddy, Mommy!”

I almost choke.

Brian has never yanked his dick out of someone’s mouth so fast in his life.

“Stay where you are, Justin. Pretend you’re getting something out of that suitcase. The front pocket.” Shit.

He turns around. I fuck with my suitcase. Does he know what’s in the front of this suitcase? A butt plug. Who in the world packs a butt plug in the front pocket of a damn suitcase? I’m going to kill him.

“Hey, Sonny Boy!” Gus runs right past Brian and jumps on top of me.

“MR. JUSTIN! MR. JUSTIN! Did you see the planes? All the planes! Did you see them? Come here! Come look!” He yanks me to the window. Brian glares at me because he got bypassed. I glare back and mouth butt plug, front pocket.

“Nice job, Agent Kinney.” He flips me off. Gus is pounding on the windows, going crazy. Lindsay is just now catching up to him. “Did you know he was coming, Brian?” Coming when you would be coming? A better question, probably. He shrugs his shoulders.

“Maybe.”

Honestly. Lindsay grabs Gus for a minute and lectures him about running ahead of her, so Brian comes and stands beside me at the window, putting his arm around me. It’s a post-coital thing, I can tell. Insta-cuddle.

“That had to be one of the weirdest things we’ve ever done, Agent Kinney.” His nose is in my hair. It always is after he comes lately. It’s sweet.

“Your fellatio talents will always give you away, Taylor. Let that be a lesson to you.”

“Can I just tell you that I’m worried about you? I haven’t even left yet, and you’re already role playing.” He gives that serious thought.

“You’re not a spy if they make you spy.”

Oh, Jesus.

***************************************
Oh, big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away


“Give it to me, Mommy! Give it!” Lindsay reaches into her purse and hands Gus a piece of paper. He immediately tears across the waiting area to give to me. “Mr. Justin, this is for you! This is a picture of your plane!”

I bend down and take it from him. From his perspective, this plane has crashed. It’s laying on the grass, but it’s still the greatest plane I’ve ever seen.

“Thank you, Gus. I love it.” He grabs it out of my hand and turns it over.

“See, Mr. Justin? Look, G-U-S. I signed my name.” I give him a hug.

“You sure did. I’m proud of you, Gus. This is fantastic. You know I’m going to miss you, right?” I can feel him nodding on my shoulder. I doubt he really understands. He’s pointing out the window because a plane is taking off.

“Is that your plane, Mr. Justin? Is that the plane that’s going to the movies?”

“No, mine hasn’t left yet, but it will in a few minutes. I’ve got to go pretty soon.” I walk with him to the window and hold him up so he can see better. Brian's standing with Lindsay a few feet away. Gus is quiet and still in my arms as he watches the plane take off. He’s mesmerized, almost in a trance until it’s in the air. Yeah, there’s no way he would’ve missed this for the world.

“There it goes! Bye!” We wave good-bye to it together. “You’re gonna be in a really long movie, Mr. Justin. A movie for a long time.” I think about trying to make him understand, but I just smile and put my sunglasses on his face for a second.

“Now you look like a movie star.”

“Yeah, Daddy, look at me!” Brian smiles at him and looks at his watch. His signal to me. “I’m like you, Daddy!” I look over at Brian, and somehow he just knows I need his help with this. This is really hard for me. He walks over to me and takes Gus out of my arms.

“All right, Sonny Boy, you’re gonna have to tell Mr. Justin good-bye so he can go get on one of those planes, so you can watch him take off.” Gus is extremely excited about that and to be with Brian for a few minutes. “Go say good-bye to Linds first.”

I spend a few minutes with Lindsay who’s sweet and gracious and reminds me that I’m as important to her and Gus as Brian is, and if you ask Gus, probably more so. I laugh and tell her ‘no,’ and then we both look over at Gus running circles around Brian and crack up. She gives me a hug, and I promise to give her my new cell number when I get one.

“Come here, Gus. I want to tell you good-bye.” I bend down next to some empty seats and he comes over with a funny look on his face. Brian is right behind him. I hug him again and tell him I’ll miss him and that I love him. “And you can call me if you want and send me pictures. Whatever you want.”

“Yeah, Daddy said I can bring them to his office and scam them.” Brian just shakes his head. “And then put them in a emelope for you and put them in the big mailbox.”

“Or you can email them if you want.”

“And put them in the big mailbox.” Brian rolls his eyes again. I guess he never had a thing for the post office. I can’t really see Brian drawing pictures anyway.

“Sure. You’re gonna stay and watch my plane take off?” Lindsay told me they were, that it’s all Gus has been talking about for the last twenty-four hours. That he was determined to bring the kitten along. I’m glad we didn’t get a call about that at five-thirty this morning. Machine would’ve picked that up.

“Yeah. I’m gonna stay and be with Daddy.” That’s probably a good thing.

“Your Daddy would probably like that.” Lindsay comes up and takes Gus’ hand.

“Come on, Gus. You and I are going to go over here and watch these other planes for a while until Daddy’s ready. Tell Mr. Justin ‘bye bye.’” I give him a quick kiss before he walks away, waving to me as he goes.

“Bye bye, Mr. Justin. I’m gonna see your big plane go to the movies.”

“Good-bye, Gus.”

I can’t look up at Brian until I put my sunglasses back on my face.

*******************************
And when I go away
I know my heart can stay with my love
It's understood


“So, you have a lot to do at work today?” His hand is warm over mine as we stand together as far as we can go.

“Got a presentation for a new client at ten, and I’ll have to spend the rest of the day playing catch up, I’m sure.” That’s why he’s so dressed up. He has to be brilliant today.

“You didn’t even prep this weekend. Didn’t say a word about it, not once.” That’s a first.

“Getting to be old hat, I guess. I’ll just go in there and put it on auto-pilot.” We both laugh at that and then we don’t. Pilots. Planes. Departures. I reach up and take his sunglasses off for a second. He’s not happy about it, but he let’s me. I tuck them in his shirt pocket and put my hand back in his.

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For everything. For the weekend. For the clothes. For fucking my brains out. For distracting me with the possibility of a public strip search—“ He leans down and kisses me and puts his shades back on.

“That’s still a very real possibility.”

“I’ve never told you this, but I kind of have this fantasy about you showing up at school or my job or something and arresting me and—“ He doesn’t let me finish, just takes me in his arms.

“I’d do it right now if I hadn’t forgotten my handcuffs.”

“Agent Kinney, are you falling down on the job?” He leans down and starts talking in my ear, kind of pinning my hands behind my back.

“Not that I need them. I’ll take you without them. Right now.”

“Well, it’s not like I won’t go willingly, Agent Kinney.” He tightens his grip on my wrists. Hard.

“The hell you will. In my fantasy, you put up quite a fight.” I’m gonna need an extra seat on this plane for my hard on.

“We’ll see about that……,” he raises his eyebrows at me. I raise mine back. “Sir.”

The next thing I know my feet are barely on the floor, and I can’t hear all the people buzzing around me, I can just hear him and the little noises he makes when he kisses me like this. And I close my eyes as his grip softens but he never lets go of me, and it just seems to go on forever….

“Mmmm. You taste like me.” God, this will be the last morning for a while that I taste like him. Shit. Can hardly remember a morning when I haven’t lately.

“I taste like Agent Kinney.” I lick my lips. He laughs.

“He tastes pretty good.”

“He’s delicious. Better than a strawberry breakfast bar.” He squeezes my hand and nods toward the clock. “I know.”

“Better go before he takes you into custody, and you never make your flight.”

“I’ll call you as soon as I land.”

I try to pull away from him as I say this but the force to be next to him is just too great. I end up saying it into the lapel of his overcoat. I feel his hand on the back of my head, stroking, his lips in my hair.

“I’ll be waiting. Now, go. Get on that plane.”

I nod against his lapel and pull away and start to put my jacket on. He stops me.

“No way. Don’t do that.” I give him a weird look. “Gonna watch your ass when you walk away.” I roll my eyes at him, but for some reason I’ve never felt so loved in my entire life. He helps me put my carry-on on my shoulder, and when I turn around to look at him, he messes up my hair on purpose.

He smiles at me and fixes it and sort of pats me on the head. “You make me so happy, Brian.”

“Good luck, Sunshine. Knock ‘em dead.” I pop up on my toes to kiss him really fast one last time and then walk away as fast as I can toward security.

The irony in that.

Walking toward security when the only security I’ve known for four years is standing farther and farther behind me…

I wait until I’m through the x-ray thing, until I’m pretty far away, before I turn around to see if he’s still there….

And he is, arms folded, leaning against a column, still in his shades. Staring at my ass.

I give him a look like I can’t believe you, and he laughs for a second because he’s totally busted and then he takes his sunglasses off and I can see that he’s really not laughing.

Not at all.

And then he rolls his lips in and nods his head up at me, and I know everything I’ve ever wanted to know. Everything. And even though we can only see each other, and there’s no way he can hear me, I look right at him…

“Love you, too.”

My carry-on falls off my shoulder, and I have to rearrange everything again, and when I look back up, his hands are in his pockets, his head's down, and he’s walking away.

****************************
BRIAN’S POV

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no I'm a rocket man


Gus nearly knocks me over as I walk out of the men’s room. Lindsay’s right behind him.

“Whoa. Do you need to use the bathroom?” God help me.

“No! The planes are moving! Come on!” He grabs my arm and drags me to the window he wants to watch from. “Pick me up, Daddy!”

I hoist him up on my shoulders. I don’t think he’s ever felt so big or so tall. I have to keep reminding him not to pull my hair.

“Daddy, which one is Mr. Justin’s plane?” He’s kicking my coat with his feet. He’s so excited.

“I don’t think any of those are his plane. His will be out here in a couple of minutes.” And sure enough it is. There are two non-stop U.S. Airways flights to LAX that leave at about the same time so I’m not sure which one is his, but it’s one of the two. “It’s one of those two, Gus, those two over there.”

Gus is leaning toward the window, away from the window, all over the place. I have to hold on to him pretty tightly. I need two more hands.

“Gus, remember my hair. Please stop pulling my hair.” He lets go.

“Sorry, Daddy. There goes one! Bye, Mr. Justin!” That’s not Justin’s plane.

“Yeah, that’s not Justin, Gus. Keep your eye on those two planes over there.”

Linds comes over and stands with us for a while, her hand on my back. We’re all quiet for a minute or so as we just watch out the window. The sun is beginning to break through the clouds. The two California-bound jetliners start to taxi into position.

“Daddy. Get ready, get ready to blast off!” I give Lindsay a weird look. She shakes her head.

“Space. The Final Frontier. He learns about everything in preschool. Believe me.”

“Gus, planes don’t blast off. Rockets and spaceships blast off. Planes take off.” One of the planes gets ready to move down the runway.

“Count, Daddy, count! Ten, eight, seven, five, four, three, two—“

“Gus, it’s not a rocket. It’s a plane.” I pick him up off of my shoulder and prop him on the little ledge in front of the window. He leans against me. “Look at my hand, Gus. Rockets shoot straight up. Whoosh.” He copies me. “Planes take off at an angle. Like this.” I show him what I mean. He copies me again. “See? Rocket. Plane. You don’t count for a plane.”

“Daddy, I want to go see where the rockets take off.”

“We’ll go see that sometime, but not today. It’s down near Mickey Mouse. Far away from here.” He starts jumping up and down on the ledge because the first plane is revving up and getting ready to go. “Okay, now watch Gus. Watch how it goes at an angle and not straight up.” He follows it with his hand and covers his ears when it gets too loud.

“Ow, Daddy.”

“Yep. Planes are loud. Just like little boys.” We follow it with our fingers until we can’t see it anymore.

“Bye, bye, Mr. Justin.” I hug him so he doesn’t fall off the ledge. Gus resumes his game of ‘rocket and plane’ as the second plane moves into position and then stops his hand in mid-take off. “I see him, Daddy, I see Mr. Justin!” I don’t see what he’s pointing at.

“Where?”

“In the window! In the window! Yellow hair! Look!” It takes me a minute to see what he’s seeing. It’s glare.

“That’s not Justin, Gus. It’s just a reflection.” I pick him up and hold him in my arms as the plane is about to start zooming down the runway. He points out the window.

“Yeah, Daddy, that’s a ‘flection.” Such a sad face.

Fuck it. If my kid can pretend that plane is a rocket, then what’s it gonna hurt?

“You know what, Gus. You’re right. That is Mr. Justin.” He waves like crazy as the plane takes off, both of his hands flying through the air, alternately hitting me in the head.

“Good bye, Mr. Justin! Have a good movie!” We watch until we can’t see it anymore, until there’s nothing left to see. I take his hand and the three of us walk down the concourse to start our day.

My son's a lot like Justin. An artist with his own perspective.

He saw Mr. Justin.

I was blinded by the sunshine.

The end.

(epilogues will follow)

Epilogue 1-Reflection-Justin's POV by plumsuede
Author's Notes:

The story is done. Here's epilogue 1/3.

EPILOGUE 1-REFLECTION-JUSTIN’S POV

eighty three minutes in to U.S. Airways flight 511 to LAX…

I don’t know what I love more…

…Brian or first class……fucking first class!

…this window seat or this empty seat in between me and this other guy…

…playing secret agent in the middle of an airport or having a boyfriend who really looks like a secret agent kiss me good-bye like that in the middle of the airport…

…knowing that he loves me or knowing that he knows how much I really love him…

Fuck. I miss him.

This is first class.  I shouldn’t have to look around or ask for tissues.

I expect better service than this.

This picture Gus drew for me is so adorable.  Me and my yellow hair.  Apparently I’m the pilot of this plane he drew, or was, until it hit the grass.  My head is almost as big as the sun, and we’re both smiling.  Personally, I think the sun got better hair than me, or some gel or something.  He gave me bed head.  I don’t know what’s up with that.  I mean, come on, I’m not Brian.  My luggage is on top of the plane.  That’s actually pretty funny.  My plane crashes, but, hey!  I still got my luggage!  You gotta love Gus.

Shit, I gotta love everybody who did all of these nice things for me.  All of these gifts, the party, Em and Ted and Paul helping me on Saturday, and all of these letters I have to read.  I don’t think I even want to read all of them now.  I’ll lose my shit if I have to read something all emotional from Deb or my mom.  I think I’ll just pick out a few to read and then sketch or something.  It’s a long flight, but we might get some food soon or maybe a movie. Or maybe both!  Plus, I can always read more later if I get bored…or nostalgic.  I need to make a list, too, of all the things I need to do when I get off this plane—like get a new phone, call Brian before I leave the airport, etc. 

So this stack of letters…

It’s thick

Debbie’s and my mom’s.  Skip.  Michael and Ben’s—bound to be way too emotional or boring.  Skip.  Em’s, Ted’s, Linds’—later, boring, later. 

Daphne’s.  Shit.  I’ve got to call her today.  Got to put that on my list.  I’ll read hers now.  I’m going to miss the shit out of her.  And then there’s this really thin one, the handwriting I don’t even recognize.  I’ll read that one next.  And we’ll go from there.  Maybe by the time I’m done with those two, it’ll be time to eat…

*********************

I remember when rock was young
Me and Suzie had so much fun


daphne's letter


I completely forgot to tell Brian about Gus and the blow job thing.  Shit.  Probably better that way.

“You remind me of my son.”  And I completely forgot about the guy in the aisle seat.

“I’m sorry?”

“I said, ‘You remind me of my son.’”

“Oh?”

“Yeah.  He can’t travel light either, and you both dress the same.  He’s gay, though.  No offense.”  That’s funny.

“None taken.  I am, too.” 

“Kinda thought so.  The three of us have the exact same shoes.”  He crosses his legs and points his Pradas at me.  “My son picked them out.  He has quite a love affair with shoes.  Every time my wife tries to convince herself that this ‘gay thing’ is a passing phase, I remind her that he has more shoes than both of us put together.  Plus, my son’s twenty-seven.  It’s not a ‘passing thing.’”

“Did he pick out your tie, too?”  It’s nice.  Brian would love it.  He looks down at it.

“Um, yeah, I think he did.  I don’t get to pick out much of my own clothes these days between my son and my wife.  I just wear what they tell me to.”  Gee, I know that feeling.

“What does your son do?”

“Sells insurance.  He’s quite the salesman.  Please don’t get me started about that.  What do you do?  My first guess would be a mailman.”  My cards and letters scattered all over my lap and the seat between us…

“I’m an artist.”

“With a broken heart?”

“Is there any other kind?”  He nods.

“Point taken.  I’ll leave you to your work.  Be thinking about what you want to drink.  They’ll be wheeling the mobile bar down the aisle in a few minutes.  I take it this is your first time in first class?”

“What gave me away?”

“Those shoes are way too new.”

*************************
here comes the sun

rodney's letter


“What’d I tell ya?  Here she comes.  What’re you gonna have?”  Something strong.  Something very, very strong. “Oh, and look, it’s Christy.”

“I need something strong.”

“Well, pick your poison.”

“Can’t.  I’m not legal.”

“You’re not?”

“Couple of months.”

“Bummer.”

“Tell me about it.”

On second thought, I think I will read Emmett’s.  I need something to make me laugh.  I can’t believe Rodney did that for me, that Vic said those things about me.  I miss him more than I ever thought I would.


*************************
return to sender

em's ltr

Huh?

“Vodka all right with you?”


“Yeah, but—" 

"Be quiet and give me your hand."  I give him my right hand.  “No, your left hand.  God, you are gay.”  He slips his wedding ring on my ring finger.  “Keep your hand where she can see it.  Got any pictures of that kid?”  Kid?

“What kid?”

“You were looking at pictures that some kid drew you.”  This guy notices everything.  Maybe he’s a secret agent.  He picks Gus’ picture up off the seat between us.  “This picture.  The kid that drew this.”  Actually I do have a picture of Gus in my wallet.  I pull it out and show it to him.  He looks at my driver’s license, too.  “Less than two months.”  The stewardess approaches us.

“Well, hello, Mr. Walker.  Nice to see you this Monday morning.”

“And you as well, Christy.  Haven’t seen you on this flight in weeks.”

“My schedule got changed.  Want your usual?”

“That’ll be fine.  My friend here will have the same.”  She looks at me.  I smile my best young, heterosexual, married father smile.  Mr. Walker shows her a picture of Gus.  It’s from when he was less than a year old.  The only one I have in my wallet.  Thank god it covers up my driver’s license.  “Have you ever seen a cuter baby?”

“Is this your son?” she asks me. I nod and flash my smile.  This guy’s good.

“Yes.”

“He’s adorable.  Absolutely adorable.”  She hands Mr. Walker the bottles and cups and ice and napkins for two screwdrivers and tells us to enjoy our flight. I ask him what he does for a living.

“I sell insurance.”  Figures.  He hands me back my wallet, and I hand him back his wedding ring once I’m sure she’s out of sight.  He gives me a disappointed look, “Why does everyone always give it back?”

“Cheers.”

Whoa, I wasn’t expecting there to be something from Brian in here.  Shit.  And it’s all lumpy.

**********************
Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, sister golden hair surprise
And I just can't live without you; can't you see it in my eyes?


brian's ltr p1
brian's ltr p2

***********************
Operator, oh could you help me place this call?

The fifth time I call Brian’s cell phone, and he doesn’t answer I start to panic.  I leave two messages out of my five calls and make myself wait five minutes.  I literally sit on my hands.

………..

………..

I hope Brett doesn’t care that I’m using the ever-loving fuck out of his phone back here.

I can’t stand it any longer.  I call the main number at Kinnetik.  Cynthia answers. 

“Hey.  It’s Justin.  Where’s Brian?”  I know I sound like a total queen.

"In his office.”

“In a meeting or something?  I’ve called him five times on his cell phone.  I really need to talk to him.  Like right now.”

"He’s not in a meeting.  His phone is on ‘do not disturb.’ It has been for hours.  He said he had a lot of catching up to do.  Maybe his cell is off.”

“Please go check.  He’s expecting me to call.  And he doesn’t turn his cell off.  He’s maniacal about that.”

"Okay.  Hang on just a second.”

I wait.

…………

…………

"Justin?  I’m making Ted do it.  I’m not going in there.”

“Why?  What’s wrong?”

"He’s sound asleep.”

“Where?”

"On the sofa, snoring, with one hand on his laptop.  It’s really funny.  You should see Ted in there trying to wake him up.”

“Okay, wait, wait.  Stop.  Don’t wake him up.  He’ll hit him.  Just hang up with me and I’m gonna call back on his cell phone and you answer it.  Just go find his phone.  Stop Ted.  He’s gonna get punched in the face, Cynthia.”

"Okay, okay.”

When I call back, Ted answers.  He’s whispering.

"Hello?”

“Did he hit you?”

"No! Thank god!  Since when does his phone play Hotel California"?

“Since today.  Listen, put the phone up to his face.  Let me hear him snoring.”

"Why?”

“Just do it.”  A slow, steady snore.  Ted gets back on the phone.  “He’s out for a least two more hours, if not three.”

"Justin, he was tracking your plane on the internet.  He fell asleep with his hand on his touch pad.  I wish I could take a picture of this.”

“Don’t you dare.  You’ll wake him up.  He needs to sleep.  Just turn off his phone, and I’ll leave him a message and wake him up when you guys leave for the day.  He’s exhausted."

"Whatever you say.  I guess if he’s out of commission that makes you the boss.”

Heh.  Yeah, I guess it does.

***********************************
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

You’ve reached the voice mail of Brian Kinney.  Please leave a message.


“Brian, you have no idea what I went through just to leave you this message.  I read your letter on the plane.  Huge mistake.  I almost jumped out of the plane to get back to you.  And then I called you thinking I had all of these things that I just had to say to you, and you’re sound asleep.  And for some reason that makes me even happier than that fucking letter.  So, I’ll call you tonight, and you better answer, and I love you…. god, I love you...more than anything...more than you’ll ever even understand, Brian Kinney…....sweet dreams."

Epilogue 2-Arrangements by plumsuede
Author's Notes:

Epilogue 2/3


I'm leaving on a jet plane

Brian's letter to Cynthia

***************

you should hear how she talks about you

Cynthia's post-it to Ted


your love is king

Signature Brian Elvis

Epilogue 3-Accomplished by plumsuede
Author's Notes:

Epilogue 3/3. Story is complete. Thanks to everyone for your feedback!! Also, I am not soley responsible for the amazing graphics in this story. Several artists on Live Journal at the time helped me fulfill my vision for this story. I am so grateful to them.

MATT WESTHEIM'S POV

remember when the days were long
and rolled beneath a deep blue sky


When Brian Kinney and I were boys, there was no doubt in either one of our minds that we would someday rule the world.  My little brother, John, nine at the time, now a world-class valet and servant to the ‘more rich than he is,’ would be our slave, fulfilling our every need, twenty-four hours a day if he knew what was good for him.  I don’t think anyone expected two eleven-year-old boys that spent the hot, humid days of June, July, and August holed up in old, rusty railroad cars to be rational, realistic global despots, but even I’ll admit now that a world domination strategy that included giving a free ten-speed bike to every boy who agreed to join our cause wasn’t exactly feasible.

Even back then, Brian didn’t have much use for girls.  Neither of us did.  Let’s face it.  Girls were disgusting.

It always amazed me, even as a young boy, how much energy and effort Brian put into our summers on the railroad tracks.  I remember lying on my stomach on top of maps and charts and army men and monopoly houses and bingo counters and Brian’s old game of Battleship strewn all over the inside of one of those cars, but I barely remember actually bringing any of that stuff there.  Over the years, I’ve just decided that we must’ve made John our caddy; Brian and I flew far too fast on our bikes, too busy showing off for one another, to concern ourselves with cargo.  John’s job as the porter was probably his price of admission to our war games.

For as strong-willed as Brian and I both were, we got along great together.  I would spend hours drawing and re-drawing the boundaries of every state and country on our torn and re-taped map of the world while Brian figured out exactly how many troops, tanks, submarines, and missiles it would take to conquer our next enemy and then sent them on their way.  I was too young to understand it then, but Brian desperately needed an enemy he could conquer. 

Back then, it was board games that held our interest.  Today, it’s board rooms.

It’s really not much different.

If on any given day, as I rode up the hill toward Brian’s house, I saw his father’s car in the driveway, I knew to turn around and start heading for the tracks.  His father’s car was a signal to me.  It meant two things:   Brian was long gone, and I’d never beat him to our hide out.  And it meant the minute I got there, we’d go straight to the back door of the diner, Luther’s place, and I’d watch Brian talk Luther into giving him lunch.  When Jack Kinney came home from work for lunch, Brian never stuck around.  I asked him about it one time when we first met, before I knew Brian very well, and he told me he didn’t like what his father made for lunch.

”Why?  What does your father make?”

“Knuckle sandwiches.”

It took me about thirty seconds to realize he wasn’t kidding.

He made that joke in front of Luther once, and every time we knocked on the back door after that, Luther would have something for us without us even asking. 

It wasn’t like I never spent any time in Brian’s house when we were kids.  I did.  Those times were just few and far between.  Usually, we were just there because we needed something to assist us in our execution of The Master Plan.  This was typically something from Claire’s room because she was a girl, and she had everything.  We’d raid her board games for pieces we wanted, her sewing box for buttons and straight pins, and her desk for colored pencils to mark all of our different battle plans.  She knew we were pilfering from her, but she could never prove it.  We were excellent liars, and we never left any evidence behind. 

Which was a miracle actually, because sometimes we were unbelievably stupid.  Like the day we decided to steal Claire’s Lite Brite.  Luckily for us, she was at Vacation Bible School that day, a fate that Brian had escaped that summer because the summer before, he had incorporated Satan into some art project they’d had to do.  After that, Vacation Bible School was somehow always too “booked” to enroll Brian. 

We were standing in Claire’s room that morning when I got this genius idea that Lite Brite was the ultimate world domination planning tool ever invented.  Brian immediately agreed with me and after we couldn’t find the actual box for The Ultimate World Domination Planning Tool Ever Invented, we stuffed all of the colorful, pointy pegs into our pockets and snuck out the back door with the white and black answer to all of our problems hidden under one of Brian’s Vacation Bible School t-shirts.  Brian tied it to his bike, and we flew to the railroad tracks feeling like the most invincible boys in the world.  Once we arrived, I’d never been so glad to empty my pockets in my life.  Those little pegs had practically drilled through my skin as we’d raced to our destination.  They made a wonderful sound and scattered everywhere as we got them out of our pants.

“I can’t wait to hear Claire at dinner tonight, ‘Does anyone at this table know where my Lite Brite is?’”  Brian had his imitation of Claire’s whiny superior voice down to an art form.

“Your sister’s thirteen.  Why’s she still playing with Lite Brite?”

“She’s not.  She just takes inventory of her bedroom three times a day.  She’s a freak.”  I didn’t blame her.  We stole from her practically every single day.

“Um, Brian, where’re we gonna plug this in?”

“Aw, shit.”  He looked around the car like a receptacle was going to magically appear out of nowhere.  “Damnit.  I totally forgot about that.”

“Me, too.  Now we have to pick up all of these stupid little pegs.”

“Where’s your brother?”

******************************
send up a signal
I'll throw you a line


Returning the Lite Brite was more complicated than stealing it.  I had to keep it at my house that night, and then meet Brian at his house the next morning to put it back because that’s when Claire was in bible school.  I showed up around ten thirty, earlier than usual, because I could tell that my mom was getting ready to make me dust and vacuum my room, and I didn’t want to stick around for that.  For some reason, Brian’s father’s car was there.  I contemplated going back home but didn’t want to have to help clean the house, so I stood in his driveway for a minute and tried to decide what to do.  Finally, I went around to the back of the house and started throwing Lite Brite pegs at his window.  After about the tenth one, the window started to go up and his head popped out.

“What.  The.  Fuck?”

“I didn’t want to ring the bell.”  I was whispering.  “I have the Lite Brite.”  I felt so stupid.  So out of place.

“Congratulations.”  I just stood still and stared at him.  I didn’t know what to say.  Sometimes Brian wasn’t a boy.  I didn’t know who he was.  “Leave it.  I’ll come get it.”

I sat it on the grass in front of me, the pegs in a plastic bag and walked away.  I knew that I wasn’t supposed to be there when he came out to get it.  I left, went home and cleaned my room. 

It gave me something to do.

I remember the afternoon that Brian and I were lying in the doorway of the rusty brown car playing Battleship, and the sun was starting to set and shining right in his eyes.  He was squinting and complaining that the only reason I was winning was because he was temporarily blinded.  My little brother John was jumping over rocks with his bike in front of us trying desperately to get our attention.  We were quite skillfully ignoring him.  We had that down to an art form.

”Go home, John.  You’re getting on our fucking nerves.”

“You can’t tell me what to do, Matt.  Mom said if you can be here, I can be here.”

“Then go be ‘here’ over ‘there.’  You’re bugging us.”

“There’s no good rocks over there.”  Brian picked one up off the ground and threw it in front of one of the other cars.

“Now there is.  Get lost, Little John.”  John scowled at us and pedaled away.

I guess I’d always figured that Brian and I would spend our entire lives in those railroad cars, that we’d graduate from Battleship, Mastermind, and War to Chess to video games once we figured out how to steal power from the diner.  I never thought I’d be staring across from him that day telling him what I was telling him,

”Um, my dad told me last night that he got a new job, and we’re moving away.”  He didn’t say anything.  I let him sink my battleship.

“When?”

“Two weeks.  So we can start school on time in Florida.  We’re moving to Florida.”

“Florida’s not in the master plan.  It’s already been eliminated.”  Even at eleven years old, his voice dripped with sarcasm.

“It’s not like I want to go.”

“Well, there’s Disneyworld and shit.”  Brian never lost sight of the important things.

“That was the reason we eliminated Florida to begin with.”  He laughed.

“I guess it is a small world after all.”

Brian and I spent the next two weeks pretending like nothing was different.  We rode our bikes, played practical jokes on John, ate free food from Luther, and stole more pieces out of every board game Claire had just to drive her crazy.  The evening before the morning I was leaving for good, we rode our bikes home from the railroad tracks as usual and stopped in my driveway to plan for the big day.  The day I was dreading.

”I’ll come by your house tomorrow before we leave.  And I’ll bring you all the maps and everything.  You can keep them.  And all the pieces and stuff, since most of them are Claire’s anyway.”  We laughed.  He told me he was going to put them back a little at a time to really drive Claire bananas.  I watched him push off and climb the hill back to his house. 

We were ready to leave around twelve fifteen the next day, a Friday, my family packed like sardines into our Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon.  My father was anxious to start the long drive to Florida, so he insisted on driving me to Brian’s house.  I couldn’t really argue.  My bike was packed.  We got about a block away from Brian’s house when I saw Mr. Kinney’s car in the driveway, and didn’t see Brian’s bike.  My father had circled around in the cul-de-sac so the driveway was on my side of the car.

”Okay boys, make it quick.  I want to get moving.”  John was pushing me to open the door.  I told him to cut it out.

“Forget it, Dad.  He’s not home.”

“You sure?  Go knock on the door.”  I shook my head.

“I’m sure.  He’s not there.  He went out for lunch.”

******************************
you oughtta know by now…

My dad’s company kept him in Florida until I was fifteen and then promptly transferred us back.  It was easy to fall back into step with Brian.  In many ways, it was like I’d never left.  Brian always joked with me, telling me it was because I’d never actually said ‘good-bye’ in the first place.  The only thing that was really different was that instead of having my little brother tagging along after us, we had Michael Novotny.

At first, I just couldn’t understand why Brian would even want to be friends with this kid.  He wasn’t like us at all.  He was short and not very smart, and he talked all the time about comic books and Superman and the ‘who gives a shit’ details of their imaginary lives.  Plus, he lived all the way over near Liberty Avenue.  Then, I found out that his mom worked at a diner.  For the first month or so that I was back, I was convinced that Brian had befriended this kid just to get free food.  I asked Brian once why he hung around Michael, and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said,

“I don’t know.  He doesn’t have a dad.”

“He doesn’t?”

“He’s dead.  And his mom’s nice to me.”

It made a lot more sense to me the night I was supposed to meet them right inside our football stadium for a Friday night home game.  I was early, so I went to take a piss.  Michael was leaning against the outside of the boy’s bathroom.  I waved to him as I got closer and told him I was early.

“Where’s Brian?”  Michael looked guilty of a crime.

“Not here yet.”  I stepped past him.  Instinct, I guess.  He tried to stop me.  Brian was leaning against the brick wall of the building with his hand on the back of Stewart Markham’s head.  He was getting a blow job.  My mouth fell open.  I grabbed Michael’s arm and pulled him in the other direction, out of view.

“What are you?  The lookout?”

“Shut up.  He’ll hear you.”

“How long has--?  This is what you do?  He gives you answers to tests, lets you copy his homework and you make sure the coast is clear?”  I wanted to spit on him.

“Shut up.”  I heard Brian moan.  It made me sick.

“This is sick.”

“Get outta here, Matt.  He doesn’t want you to know.”

******************************
you Catholic girls start much too late

I wish I could say that I remember everything that happened exactly as it happened after that night, but I don’t think I do.  I remember being furious at Brian for not telling me, for making me feel like a fool, for doing shit like that in public, when everyone knew we were close friends.  I remember thinking that everyone was going to think I was a fag, too. 

I remember him telling me that he let our gym teacher fuck him.  More than once.

And that he liked it.

And that I cried.

Mostly because I didn’t understand.  Because I wanted my friend back, the way he was.  Before. 

Before I left.  When it was just me and him and sometimes John at the railroad tracks and the only thing I worried about was whether or not he was going to beat me to the railroad tracks……….because his father had come home for lunch……..and beaten him.

Because that was so much better.  A man touching him like that rather than like this.  At least that for some reason, I understood.  That, for some reason, didn’t make me sick.

Just ashamed of myself.

But back in school, we were just the same.  The three of us, sitting in the back, Brian and I feeding Michael answers to shit he didn’t know, Michael feeding us all the food we wanted.  I became editor of the school paper.  Brian became our sports reporter, his all-access pass to the boys’ locker room.  I pretended I didn’t care.

We sat in the lunchroom one day eating pizza for the thirteenth time that week, and Brian listened to me bemoan the fact that some cheerleader I’d had my eye on for the entire semester didn’t even know I was alive.  As usual, he found my failures with women extremely amusing.

“You have no confidence.  That’s your problem.”

You’re giving me advice about women.”

“Men.  Women.  It’s all the same.”

“Okay.  We’ll let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that you’re right.  I find some magical confidence inside me, and she says ‘yes.’  Then what am I going to do?”

“Fuck her.”

“Fuck her?”

“Yep.”  He raised his eyebrow at me.

“You act like it’s nothing.  Like I would just do it.  Voila!”

“It’s not rocket science, Matt.  It’s pretty simple.  You make everything so fucking complicated.  That’s your whole problem.  Hell, I’ll fuck her, and you can watch and take notes.  Or better yet, you can videotape it for posterity—“

“That’s what I need.  How to Fuck A Chick by Brian Kinney The Faggot.”  The smirk born on his face after I that said to him would become his trademark.

“Well, it’s sold more copies than How to Fuck A Chick by Matt Westheim the Virginal Piece of Chicken Shit Who Wouldn’t Know A Pussy if He Fell Into It.

“Isn’t there someone on the faculty you haven’t fucked yet?  Maybe a janitor?”

“There was a bus driver that caught my eye.”

And so it went.  But I realized that day what I was really mad at him about.  He was the one who was supposed to teach me about girls, to pave the way for us while we fondled the female half of the student body.  It wasn’t supposed to matter that I wasn’t the confident one.  It was his job to reel them in.  Not mine.  I was the keeper of The Master Plan; he was supposed to execute it.  But, no.  He had to go be a fag and fuck everything up for both of us.

If I never lost my virginity, I was going to sue Brian Kinney for something.

We spent the summer before college more separate than together, mostly because I was determined to get rid of my virginity before we went and because Michael wasn’t going with us.   Brian and Michael spent most of their time on Liberty Avenue.  I spent most of my time convincing Jan Hershel to let me in her pants.  She did. 

And Brian was right.  There wasn’t much to it. 

It was over in sixty seconds.  A minute of a wet, sticky, rushing urge that made me want to hold her hostage forever in that old, musty railroad car.  Not because I liked her, just because I had to figure out a way to convince her to let me do it again.

That’s the kind of thing I needed Brian for.  He was much better with POWs.

Jan Hershel wasn’t the least bit interested in letting me re-sink my Battleship.

But at least it was over.  I wasn’t a virgin anymore.  It was mind-boggling to me how something that was over so fast meant so much. 

******************************
if it seems like I’ve been lost in let’s remember…
if you think I’m feeling older and missing my younger days…


And then we were men.  College men.  In a world where it didn’t matter if you were straight or a fag or what clothes you wore or if your parents had money.  He played on one field, I played on the other.  We studied hard, drank a lot, and I fucked enough women to almost catch up with him—for about thirty seconds.  He’d see Michael when we’d go home for Christmas, staying with him instead of his family.  There was no going back home for Brian after he left, not once he’d experienced freedom from his father.  I just don’t think he could bring himself to spend another night in that house.  He always felt guilty for not being able to go back there, always telling me that being the youngest in the family was no excuse for not being the strongest. 

I never knew what to say.

Especially when I looked up from our table in the cafeteria one day, and saw two very pretty blonde women sitting down at a table right near us, staring in our direction, but mostly, of course, at Brian.  There was something about one of them that literally took my breath away.  Brian gave them his usual smile.  He was an unconscionable flirt, particularly with women.  He had nothing to lose.  I muttered under my breath to him,

“None of this ‘I bat for the other team business.’”

“Let me show you how it’s done.”

Brian had them sitting with us in less than ten minutes.  I couldn’t take my eyes off of the girl who introduced herself to me as Valerie Simmons.  Her friend, Lindsay Peterson, was pretty hot, too.  We talked about everything—sports, politics, school, careers, you name it.  I found out that Valerie and I were actually in a class together that semester.  Brian found out Lindsay was from Pittsburgh. 

Val’s parents were loaded, and I went to Europe with them when during the summer after my sophomore year.  Brian stayed at school and worked as a gopher at an advertising agency.  Lindsay stayed, too.  Apparently, she hated her parents, too.  When the four of us started our junior year, Val told me that Lindsay told her that Brian had “jumped the fence” while we were in Europe.

“Not for keeps or anything.  I think they were just experimenting.  Lindsay’s decided she’s gay, too.”

“Leave it to Brian to fuck a girl and turn her into a lesbian.  That’s all the world needs.  Brian Kinney fucking everything.  Turning everything gay.”

“Yeah, Matt.  That’s Brian’s super power.”

“He just better stay the fuck away from your vagina.  That’s all I’m saying.”

To this day, Val tells me she has a hankering for some Brian Kinney at least once a year.  Val likes to torment me, and as Brian always says, “And not in a positive, life affirming way.”

By the end of our junior year, Val and I were engaged, or, as Brian so eloquently put it, ‘you finally found a girl who likes the way you do it.’  Brian was the last person I told.  We were sitting out in the quad on an unusually warm day in March during our senior year.  His response was about what I expected.

“Well congratu-fucking-lations.”

“I want you to be my best man.”

He let out the biggest sigh I’d ever heard come out of him as he fell back dramatically on the grass, “Of course you do.”  I rolled my eyes at him.  He pretended to be dead.  I poked him with a stick.  “This is payback for me being a fag, isn’t it?”

“Are you freaking because I’m getting married or because you have to be in a wedding?”

“All of the above.  I’m not making a toast.  I refuse.  You can’t make me.”

“I thought you’d like it because there’ll be an open bar and you’ll get to dress up.”  He thought about that for a minute and sat up.

“I didn’t even think about that.  Can I pick out the tuxedos?”  My future-wife would end up killing me for this.  “And the shoes?”

“Sure.”

“Deal.”

******************************
rebels been rebels since I don’t know when

Lindsay’s job at my wedding was to be Brian’s date and to use the stun gun we provided for her if he got out of line.  She threatened him with it when he stood up and announced that he did want to make a toast after all, something about how happy he was that Val and I were finally married and getting our own place, so that he didn’t have to listen to us fuck anymore.  He was extremely drunk by that point and although we understood what he was saying, we were fairly certain that no one else could.

“Okay, Brian, that’s enough.  Everyone was very touched by your kind words,” Lindsay pulled him back down into his chair.

“Well, all I’m saying is that one mustn’t forget that I’m that one who explained to Matt how to fuck a girl in the first place.”  By this time, Brian was half lying in Lindsay’s lap. 

“We know, Brian.”  Even though she didn’t.

“If it wasn’t for me, he wouldn’t even know where to stick it.”  He was more or less talking to the tablecloth while Lindsay stroked his hair.

“Your altruism knows no bounds.”

“Ironic, isn’t it?  Considering I’m such a tremendous homosexual.  Oh, fuck-“ He slid off of Lindsay’s lap and ended up more or less under the table.  My wife told me to leave him there.  We did, until it was time to cut the cake.

******************************
I don’t care what you say anymore
this is my life


My degree in telecommunications wasn’t going to take me very far in Pittsburgh, and I knew it.  When I got a job offer in California, I took it.  Brian was less than thrilled because he knew that Val’s rich and powerful family had pulled strings to get it for me.  As far as he was concerned, they owned California, and by default, me.  But that didn’t really matter because my married life in Pittsburgh and Brian’s gay single life in Pittsburgh just didn’t mesh.  We’d meet for a drink after work, talk the talk, and then have this awkward “see you later” thing because I was going home to my wife, and he was going out to the bars.  We just didn’t have anything in common anymore.  He didn’t want to hear about decorating my new house, and I didn’t want to hear about the two guys he took home last night and how one blew one while the other rimmed him.  We were painfully out of sync.  But for some reason, we kept trying.

Until the night I told him about the job offer, which he wasn’t thrilled about, and then topped it off by telling him that Val was pregnant.

“You fucking dumb ass.”  That was about the reaction that I expected.  “You’re twenty-two years old.”

“We didn’t exactly plan it.”

“Were you using birth control?”

“No.”

“Then you planned it.  God, you are so fucking stupid sometimes.”

“You act like you thought I wasn’t going to have kids, Brian.  Did you think I was just playing house?  This is what I want.  Duh.”  He just kept looking at me like I was the dumbest person he’d ever met.  And then it kind of all clicked into place in my head.  “That’s what it is, isn’t it?  You don’t think any of this is for real.  That we’re just playing.  That I don’t really love Val.  That I didn’t really want to get married.  That I don’t like my life.  Well, you’re wrong.  I love it.  I love her.  I love the fact that she’s pregnant.  In fact, I can’t wait for the baby to get here, Brian.  I can’t wait to be a father.  So, fuck you.”

He looked at me like I had slapped him.  “Tell Val I said congratulations.”  He threw twenty dollars on the table, grabbed his leather jacket, and left me sitting there, all alone.

******************************
don’t wait for answers, just take your chances

Twins run in Val’s family.  Information that would’ve been nice to have before I got her pregnant.  I think it was this information that broke the stalemate between Brian and I.  He enjoyed a hearty laugh at my expense when I told him the news and then asked him to please meet me for a drink because I was in no way, shape, or form ready to be the father of two twin boys.

I let him laugh at me for a good fifteen minutes.

And then I told him to shut the fuck up.

“Matt, you can’t remember to feed a dog.  How are you going to keep two little babies alive?”

“Okay, first of all, Rusty was John’s dog, not mine.  He was not my responsibility.  And secondly, I don’t have to feed them.  I just have to make the money.”  Brian nodded, downing his whiskey.

“Well, that you can do.  That I’m not worried about.  But, shit, twins?  And your first time out.  God, just think what you might get the second time.  You need to lock your penis up and throw away key.”

“Shut up.”

“Have you thought of any names?  I vote for ‘Big Mistake Number One’ and ‘Even Bigger Mistake Number Two.’”

“That’s too long to stitch on a blanket.”

“Good point.”

******************************
closed the shop, sold the house, bought a ticket to the west coast

As a new husband and expectant father of twin boys, I did everything I was supposed to do.  I found a house for us in L.A.  I scheduled my start date at my new job to be about three months after my boys were to be born.  I hired movers to get us out of Pittsburgh. 

Val did everything she wasn’t supposed to do.   She went into labor early, while I was in L.A.

When I finally got back to Pittsburgh later that day, I was already a father.  Lindsay had pushed with Val.  Brian had paced in the waiting room on my behalf.  I saw him before I saw anyone else.  He looked completely wrung out and exhausted in his suit, his shirt unbuttoned, his tie wrinkled from where he’d been pulling on it.

“Oh my god, where is she?  They’re okay, right?  They’re okay?”

“They’re fine.  They look just like me.”  Right then, Lindsay popped out of a room near the nurse’s station.

“You’re here!  Congratulations!  Come on!  Come on.  Hurry up!  They’re about to take them to the nursery.”

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw them.  Alex and Tyler Westheim.  Screaming their heads off.  They did look sort of Brian.  It was kind of funny.

Well, not to my wife.

******************************
they say there’s a heaven for those who will wait
some say it’s better, but I say it ain’t


Brian said the only reason he spent his week of vacation in L.A. helping me get our house ready was because he was running out of people to fuck in Pittsburgh.  We spent our days building two of everything, cribs, dressers, changing tables, high chairs, you name it.  Val would call three times a day to add things to the list.  Brian and I were baby furniture professionals by the end of the week.  And he was totally fucked out.  I don’t think he slept more than two hours on any given night.  The scene in L.A. was completely irresistible to him.  He reveled in the anonymity of it all.  Nobody knew him, nobody needed to……..he was in heaven.

Strollers by day.  Trolling by night.

“You should move out here.  You belong here.”

“By the time this week is up, I’ll have fucked everyone in this town, too.”

“I’m serious.  You don’t think you could make serious money out here?  Fuck Pittsburgh.”

“It’s too expensive to live out here.”

“That’s bullshit, and you know it.  Plus, you can stay with us for little while, find a place you like.”

“You want her to divorce you?  Take your precious bundles of joy and leave your ass?”

“All right.  I’m just saying you’d have friends out here.”

“I have friends back there.”  I dropped the subject.

“Once we finish this last bookshelf, we’re done.”

“Explain to me again why a three-week old needs a bookshelf?”

******************************
but somewhere back there in the dust
that same small town in each of us


And then Val and I and my precious bundles of joy were gone.  No more Pittsburgh, no more cold winters, no more drinks with Brian after work, nothing.  Val had her family in California, she had the twins, she had me.  I didn’t know anyone.  I missed Pittsburgh.  I missed Brian.  Hell, I even missed John and Michael sometimes.  My job was great, but I missed having a friend that would just insult me all the time. 

That was so pathetic.

I kept in touch with Brian, mainly through email, talking on the phone with him once in a while, listening to his stories about his wild nightlife and how his nightlife had somehow morphed into him fucking people in his office during the day. 

“You’ve lost your fucking mind, Kinney.”

“Why are you calling me ‘Kinney’ all of a sudden?”

“I don’t know.  It just suits you.  Why are you fucking people in your office?”

“I’m entitled to a lunch break just like everyone else.”

“You are seriously fucked in the head.”

“Does seem that way sometimes.”

“By the way, Val’s pregnant again.”

“You just never learn, you do?”

“Must be fucked in the head.”

“Apparently.”

******************************
’cause he knows it’s me they’ve been comin’ to see
to forget about life for awhile


When my son Jake was born, he almost wasn’t.  His umbilical cord collapsed during delivery, denying him oxygen for a few minutes.  It wasn’t anybody’s fault.  It’s just something that happens.  Jake has ten fingers and ten toes and cerebral palsy. 

It broke my heart.

Alex and Tyler were two when Jake was born, our other huge mistake.  Talk about hell.  I think the only reason I got through those first few months was because I could pick up the phone and call Brian and rant about how totally fucking unfair it was that some completely random act had done this to my son.

And on an unrelated note, all two-year-olds should all be locked up.

“Does Jake look more like you or more like Val?”  Brian asked me one night on the phone while I was feeling particularly sorry for myself.

“More like me, actually.”

“Damn, that kid can’t catch a break, can he?”

“I really hate you sometimes.”

“I told you to put your pecker away.  You just didn’t listen.”

“He’s smart as hell, Brian.  He just can’t control his muscles.  He’s nine months old, and he can’t hold on to anything.  Not even my finger.  But he understands everything that goes on around him.  Everything.”

“Then go with plan A and lock up the other two so they can’t hurt him.  I might actually like this one.”

“You’d love him.  He reminds me of you sometimes.  He talks with his eyes.  He has no other choice.”

“Maybe he is a genius.”

******************************
he sees angels in the architecture

For a while, as my boys started to grow up, I spoke with Brian less and less.  Life is like that, I guess.  I was constantly chasing after Alex and Tyler, and Val was enrolling Jake in every program she could think of to help him conquer his disability.  Our kids were just like everyone else’s kids.  They went to preschool, including Jake; they got hurt, drove us bananas, broke shit in our house, got in trouble in school, played baseball….  The list goes on.  I saw Brian somewhere in the middle of that whirlwind when I returned to Pittsburgh with the family in tow to attend my brother John’s wedding to Melissa, a marriage that wouldn’t last for long.  It was the first time Brian got to see Jake.  He was three.  My twins were five.

I was in the empty sanctuary at the church, squatting down in front of Jake’s chair, asking him if he wanted to sit in it for the ceremony or if he wanted to sit in the pew.  I didn’t know that Brian was watching me at the time.  Jake’s chair is adaptive.  It straps him in, helps him sit up.  Without it, he tends to fall forward.

“Do you want to sit in your chair while Uncle John gets married or do you want to get out of your chair and sit on one of these benches?”  He signaled to me with his hand that he wanted the second option.  Jake can speak, and I can understand him, but he doesn’t usually like to speak in public.  He knows he doesn’t sound like other people.  “Okay.  You’ll have to sit next to your—“

He started shaking his head.  He didn’t want somebody to have to hold him up.

“You can’t sit completely by yourself.  You’ll fall.  And I’m in the wedding, and so is your mom.”

“He can sit with me.”

I turned around and saw Brian standing behind me. 

“Hey.  I didn’t know you were there.  Jake, this is Brian.  He’s my friend.  We went to school together.”  Jake’s head hit the back of his chair as he tried to look at Brian, at all of him.  “Can you bend down?  You’re so tall, he’s straining.”

“Sorry.”

Brian squatted down beside Jake’s chair, his hand on the tray in front of it, and Jake immediately saw his watch.  He slapped his hand on it.

“Wa.”

“He likes your watch.”  I looked at mine.  Time to go see if Alex and Tyler were ready to walk down the aisle as John’s ring bearers. I think I’d actually promised each of them a thousand dollars if they could do this without killing one another.

“Jake, Brian said he’ll sit with you for the ceremony.  Do you want to do that or just sit in your chair?”  He looked at Brian and slapped his watch again.  “He wants to sit with you.”

“Sounds good to me.”  Jake smiled.  That he can do. 

“Then you’re going to stay with Brian, and I’m going to go check on your brothers.  Okay?”

“Kay.”  Jake fell forward onto me as I removed his tray and loosened his seat belts on his chair.  I picked him up and handed him to Brian.  I gave Brian my cell phone number in case Jake changed his mind.  He didn’t even know Brian.  I wasn’t exactly sure this was a good idea.

“Jake, I’ll be back in a little while when Uncle John is ready to get married.”

“Bye.”

“Thanks, Brian.”

“No problem.”

I looked at them one last time and ducked into the back of the church to deal with the rest of my brood, leaving Jake’s chair just inside the door.

******************************
he doesn’t speak the language
he holds no currency


Three weeks after I got back to L.A., I called Brian and told him I needed a picture of him.

“Why?”

“For Jake.  He’s been talking about you non-stop since the wedding.”

“He doesn’t really talk.”  Always the smart ass.

“I’m speaking metaphorically.  He uses an eye gazing system to communicate, has a chart with about thirty pictures on it.  We can tell what he’s saying by what he’s looking at.  He’s talking about you.”

“Okay, now I’m really confused.”

“He made me put a picture of a watch up there, and that’s all he’s talking about.  I need a picture of you.”

“Okay.  Okay.  I’ll send you one.  Jake’s a piece of work.  He laughed through that entire ceremony.  I like that kid.”

“And he loved you.  He keeps saying something about your arm.  I have no idea what he’s talking about.”

“My arm?”

“Or sleeves?  Sometimes I think he means sleeves—“

“I was wearing cuff links.  Maybe that’s what it was.”

“That’s what it is.  He’s completely enamored with ‘man-jewelry.’  No wonder he won’t stop talking about you.  You should see how excited he gets when we take him shopping.  It’s disturbing.”

“Oh, man, your kid’s a fag, Matt.”

“I knew I shouldn’t have let you near him.”

“I’m gonna put him on the Armani mailing list.  Immediately.  You’re never too young for Armani.”

He did.  And Prada and Gucci.  And any other primarily homosexual male name brand he could think of.  Jake’s eyes practically rolled back in his head every time he saw the mailman.  Because of course, they were all addressed to him.

******************************
It's a little secret,
just The Robinsons' affair


I found out Lindsay was pregnant from Val over dinner one night.

“That’s a miracle of modern science.”

“It’s Brian’s.”  I almost choked on my meatloaf. “Turkey baster, Matt.  Calm down.”  Eight months later Brian had a son.  I called to tell him I was proud of him.  He told me I was a lesbian.

“Does he look more like you or Lindsay?”

“Me, actually.”  He sounded proud.  It’s impossible not to, even if you are Brian Kinney.  Made me smile.

“Then he must be pretty ugly.”  He laughed.

“Yeah, maybe he’ll grow out of it.”

“I hope he grows up to be straight, just to spite you.”

“As long as he’s not a lesbian.”

******************************
O beautiful, for spacious skies
but now those skies are threatening


The first time I heard Justin Taylor’s name was on my answering machine at the end of a very long day at the office and an even longer evening spent at Alex and Tyler’s school at one of their baseball games.  There’d been a picnic afterwards and keeping track of those two and trying to feed Jake at the same time while my wife socialized was enough to put me in a pretty shitty mood.  My wife spent her days catering to Jake’s every need, and she needed to converse with other adults, other parents.  I felt like I just needed a beer, a blow job, and maybe some Leno.  Definitely, not all this crap.  But this was my life, so whatever.

Alex and Tyler thought it was their destiny to race in the house whenever we got home from anywhere and see who could get to the answering machine first.  That night it was Tyler.  I was upstairs patiently explaining to Jake that he was going to take a bath, no matter what.  I was pretty sure he had potato salad in his pants.

“No.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No.”

“Stop arguing with me.”

“Dad?”

“Tyler, not now.  You and your brother need to take a bath and go to bed.  It’s late.”

“Dad, there’s a message on the machine for you.”

“I’ll get it later.”

“Somebody’s dead.”

“What?”

“Somebody’s crying and somebody’s dead.”

“Stay with your brother.”

******************************
you are still the victim of the accidents you leave

His voice was almost impossible to understand.  I had to play it back three times.

Matt, you don’t know him.  I didn’t tell you because.  I don’t know why.  I think he’s dead.  Somebody, this kid, hit him, hit him in the head with a bat, a baseball bat because I, because I showed up at his prom …I shouldn’t have, oh god, I shouldn’t have.  I’m pretty sure he’s going to die.  He’s going to die, he’s eighteen.  Eighteen.  He might already be dead.  Fuck.  I don’t know.  I should go back in there; I shouldn’t be standing out here.  His mother.  Christ……….  I don’t know what to do.  Justin Taylor, that was his name.  If he dies, Matt, if he dies, I’m coming out there.  I can’t stay here.  I killed him.  I think I killed him.

******************************

and I see losing love
is like a window in your heart
everybody sees you’re blown apart
everybody feels the wind blow


That was four years ago. 

In the entire time I have known Brian Kinney, I have known two different people.  He’s been these two different people since the day I met him.  A boy who could lose himself in a fantasy world he created, in something that gave him nothing but pleasure, and a man who could brace himself against any amount of cruelty that was thrust upon him.  When I was a boy, I always felt cold and alone when the man in him came out.  Brian’s transitions between the two were rarely smooth or expected.  They were just necessary.  As a man, the boy in him fascinated me and drove me crazy at same time--his endless pursuit of pleasure for pleasure’s sake, his rejection of responsibility.  It frustrated me sometimes.  I didn’t understand it.

What struck me, though, after I’d been a very tired father for a few years, was that for all of Brian’s bitching and moaning, he had a very distinct air of responsibility about him.  From taking Michael under his wing, to helping me prepare my house for my early birds, to fathering Lindsay’s child.  Brian protected, almost coveted the people he chose to have around him.  He was creating his own family, I’d decided.  A family he could love, but more importantly that he could define, package, and shield.  And control.  One that he could practice on, to prove to himself that he could do it, that it was safe to care for other people.  That maybe it was safe for other people to care for him.

He was trying, desperately, to fix things, to fix himself.  One very small step at a time. 

Just like our afternoons at the railroad tracks, when I’d draw and re-draw our plan of attack at his request, his demand, over and over and over.  There was always a better idea, a better way.  A route or configuration he’d just come up with.

I loved to watch his mind work.  Marveled at how he could hover in that constant state of impatience for so long. 

He’d catch me sometimes, staring at him, his straight hair hanging in his face as he noticed that I’d stopped doing whatever I was supposed to be doing, whatever correction to The Master Plan I wasn’t making.

“What?  What are you staring at?”

“Nothing.”     

“Fix it.  Hurry up.  We have to go home in forty minutes.”

And that was it.  The reason he could monitor every breath I made from clear across our hideout.  Because it was a survival skill for him.  He woke up watching his back and never slept with it to his bedroom door.  I spent the night at his house once and ended up leaving—riding my bike home after midnight because Brian was so uncomfortable having me there. 

I told my mom that Brian and I had a fight, that that’s why I came home in the middle of the night.  I don’t know why I lied.  I guess I didn’t know how to tell her that I couldn’t sleep because Brian couldn’t sleep because for some reason his father wasn’t asleep.

I wanted to tell my mother that I didn’t think Brian ever slept, except when he was at my house.  When he was at my house, he slept like a rock.  He snored.  He kept me awake.

I’ll never forget that bike ride home that night.  It was eerie, almost threatening, the air so thick and heavy.  The swoosh of my tires, for some reason, making me feel like someone was behind me the whole time, chasing me, making me feel like I couldn’t get home fast enough.  The downhill run to my house always felt so good to me.  I always loved riding home from Brian’s because I got to fly down that hill, the wind in my hair, but that night I felt like I was cheated out of something that rightfully belonged to me.  I abandoned my bike the second I hit the edge of my driveway, before it’d even stopped moving.  The tires were still spinning. 
 
******************************
if you’ll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal


The second time I heard Justin Taylor’s name, out of Brian’s mouth, was when he called me a few months ago to tell me Justin had a picture deal and was moving to L.A.  Brian knew that I knew about Justin.  Women talk. 

“I want to give him your numbers.  He doesn’t know anyone out there.”

“John just called me an hour ago.  It’s no problem.  He’s coming Monday, right?”

“Yeah, Monday.”  It was Friday.

“It’s no problem.  Glad to do it.  He can come to our house, have dinner once he gets settled, if he wants.”

“I’ll tell him.  But, I should warn you, he eats a lot.”  I heard him smile.

“No more than my boys.  I promise you.”

“Yeah, right.  He’ll eat them under the table.”

“I’ll make him run a tab.”  He laughed.

“Don’t bother.  It’ll just come to me.”

“In that case, I’ll charge him double.”

“I appreciate this.”

“When my mistress is in Pittsburgh, you can wine and dine her for me.”

“I had her last night.”

“You know, I can call you an asshole and mean it because I’m doing you a favor this time.”  He ignored me.

“She was hot and all, but hearing, ‘Oh Brian, sink your battleship!’ just kinda kills it for me, ya know?  Teach ‘em something else, please.  It’s getting old.”

“You fucker.”

“I mean, for Christ’s sake, Justin laughed so hard he fell off the bed.”

“I rescind my offer.”

“And he bruises easily, Matt.  I don’t need that.”

“Unless you’re the one bruising him, right?”

“Exactly.  Is that so much to ask?”

“Just wait ‘till you get my bill.”

“And you mine.  I charge seven hundred and fifty an hour to sink my battleship into—"

“All right, you win.  That’s enough.  Don’t you have work to do?”

“That’s what your wife wants for her birthday, you know? A gift certificate from the Brian Kinney—“

“Battleship Collection?”

“All the rage this year.”

“I’ll pass.”

“Thanks again, Matt.”

“Don’t mention it.”

******************************
she's a rich girl
she don't try to hide it
diamonds on the soles of her shoes


The day Justin landed in L.A., I paid him a visit at his office.  Brian had emailed me that morning and asked me to do him a personal favor.  I didn’t mind.  I was extremely curious to actually see this kid.  He was a four year mystery to me.

“Can I help you?”  Blond, blue eyed, perfect body, and Brian had obviously consulted on his wardrobe.  You’d never know from looking at him that he’d been struck in the head with a baseball bat, suffered brain damage, and lived to tell about it.  Unbelievable.  He stood up when I walked in his office and handed him my business card.  The name didn’t ring a bell right away.  “I’m sorry, do I know you?”

“I’m a—"

“You’re Brian’s friend.  He gave me your name and number and everything.  I’m sorry.  It’s been a really long day, the flight and all.  Sit down.”

“Not a problem.  It’s nice to finally put a name with a face.  I’m under orders to bring you a cell phone.”  I put the three boxes I brought on his desk.

“Brian told you to do this?”

“Yep.  It’s what I do.  I have about fifty of these in my office.  Top of the line.  Pick one.  I’m not allowed to leave until I program it for you, and you’re all hooked up.”

“He bosses you around, too?” 

“Makes him feel important.”

“Tell me about it.” 

******************************
we'd like to know a little bit about you for our files
we'd like to help you learn to help yourself


Justin came to our house for dinner after he’d been in L.A. for about two weeks.  You would’ve thought Santa Claus had just come down the chimney by the look on Jake’s face.

“Wa!”

At six years old,  Jake’s language skills had developed as much as they were going to.  He did have a giant notebook with pages and pages of pictures and photos in it, though, that he could flip through if he thought he wasn’t being understood.  Jake has no patience for not being understood.  He slammed his hand on the kitchen table a second time because I wasn’t responding fast enough for him.

“Wa!”

“Justin, this is my son, Jake.  He would like to see your watch up close.”  Justin gave me a hesitant smile and walked over to Jake to show him.  “Jake has cerebral palsy.  He has very little control over his gross and fine motor skills and way too much control over his intellectual skills.  Right, Jake?”  Jake nodded and laughed.  He knows he’s the smartest person in our family.  “He’s also a fashion connoisseur with an extreme fetish for accessories.”

Justin laughed.  “I have a belt on.”

Jakes eyes lit up.  “So.”

“He wants you to show it to him.”  Justin stood up so Jake could see it, and Jake immediately opened his binder and started flipping through pages.

“What’s he doing?” 

“He’s finding it.”  Jake turned to a whole page he had of belts that Val had helped him cut out of all the catalogs he gets from Brian.  He slapped his hand on the picture of the one Justin was wearing.  “Is that it?”  Justin bent down and looked at the picture more closely. 

“Yeah, that’s it.  It’s just black, not brown.  It’s Armani.”  Jake smiled.  “I can’t believe he—"

“Talk to him.  He’ll answer you.”

“I can’t believe you have all those pictures, Jake.  Where do you get them?”

“May.”  Justin looked at me, not understanding.

“Mail.  He gets them in the mail.  Brian put him on a bunch of menswear mailing lists.”

“You’re kidding me?”

“Sometimes I think he’s not my kid.” 

My wife answered me, coming in the house with Alex and Tyler who were covered in mud and fighting with each other.  “He’s not Matt’s son.  He’s Brian’s.”  She introduced herself to Justin and then ordered Alex and Tyler upstairs to take a shower.  “Believe me, Matt couldn’t match a shirt with a pair of pants if his life depended on it.  Jake’s either Brian’s son or he’s an alien.”

Jake pointed to a picture of a martian in his book about a minute later.  “Very funny, Jake.  You’re much smarter than a martian.”  He laughed.

******************************
you give us those nice bright colors
you give us the greens of summers


Not being able to physically do something has never prevented Jake from wanting to do it anyway.  When he was born and I realized that he was never going to walk or run like every other boy and that he had brothers who could, I just assumed that he’d want to be an athlete.  I had visions of the Special Olympics, nights of trying to figure out ways to adapt a basketball net or a bike or even a video game so that he could do all of those things just like my other two sons and not feel any different.  But then Jake kept growing up and was never interested in any of those things.  He wanted to be read to, constantly.  He wanted to play with playdough and clay and water and sand.  He was fascinated by these things.  Other children didn’t really interest him that much.  It was as if there was so much going on inside his own imagination that he didn’t really have room for other kids.  He was fine if they were playing beside him, but he didn’t want to be interrupted.  He had important work to do.

The day my wife put finger paint and a piece of paper on the tray attached to his adaptive chair was the day I saw my son come alive.  It was as if all that important work that had been going on inside his head had finally poured onto this piece of paper that he could keep.  That we could display.  That had his name on it.  He was somebody.

He was an artist.

He was almost three.

The first time that Justin had dinner with us and he talked about what he did for a living, about his art, Jake couldn’t take his eyes off of Justin’s face.  I don’t know why I’d never thought about letting Jake meet a real artist before.  It’d just never occurred to me.  I had to keep reminding him to eat his dinner.  He was spellbound.  He hung on Justin’s every word.

When we finished with dinner, Jake hit me on the arm repeatedly.  He was afraid that Justin was just going to get up and leave. 

“He’s just going to the bathroom, Jake.  He’ll be right back.”

Alex and Tyler were already beating the crap out of each other in the backyard when Justin came back to the table.  Jake started hitting me again.  He didn’t have his book.  I asked him if that’s what he wanted, and he shook his head in frustration.

“Then what?”

“Pay.”

“Paper?”  He nodded.  I got up and got him a legal pad and his art box and brought it back to him.  “Here.”  He shook his head and looked at Justin.  “He wants me to give this to you.  He wants you to draw.”

“He does?”

“Is that what you want, Jake?”  His eyes opened wide, and he smiled.  “That’s what he wants.  Jake loves to paint and loves to draw.  When you were talking about your comic book and your art, he was very excited.”

“Okay, Jake,” Justin got comfortable in his chair with the pad of paper and opened Jake’s box of crayons and pencils.  “What do you want me to draw?”

Jake looked around our back yard.  “Te.”

“Tree.  Draw the trees.”

“Okay.”

Justin ended up drawing our entire backyard and both of our neighbor’s backyards and everything else Jake could point to.  He wore Justin out.  I think it was actually the first time Jake had ever actually seen something actually take shape like that on paper.  Justin came inside after about an hour and told me he had to stop because his hand was giving out.

“I’m sorry.  After I work all day, it just doesn’t cooperate for very long.”  I felt terrible for making him perform for my son.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry.  I didn’t realize—"

“It’s okay.  It’s okay.  I had so much fun.  He’s so funny.  He gets so excited.  I started drawing his brothers, and he could not stop laughing.  And then I couldn’t stop laughing.  He’s hilarious.”

“He doesn’t have a very high opinion of his brothers.  It’s pretty funny, actually.  He likens them to cavemen.”

“I can tell.  I’d love to come back sometime and work with him.  I tried to get him to draw some for me, but he seemed really shy, like he didn’t want to.”

“He’s embarrassed because he can’t hold crayons very well, and probably because he can’t draw as well as you.  But, yes, you can come back anytime.  I’ve never seen him so enthralled with someone in my entire life.  Well, except Brian.  I’ll tell you that story sometime.”

“I can’t wait.  I’ll go tell him good-bye.”

******************************
and I’ve been waiting such a long time for today

And Justin did come back, several times.  He helped me fashion an easel for Jake that I could attach and detach to his chair that made it easier for Jake to paint and draw.  He searched online and found adaptive paintbrushes with flat handles that were easier for Jake to grasp and made it possible for him to control his strokes.  He helped him make another book of his artwork so that over the span of three months since Justin’s been here, Jake can actually see his progress.  He can see that he’s getting better.  I think that has meant more to Jake than anything else. 

I watched my son watch Justin draw, color and paint.  He started out mimicking him, his eyes so intent on Justin’s every move that I worried sometimes that he was going to burn a hole through him.  Justin would lay his brush or his pencil down sometimes when his hand tired and Jake would do the same, thinking it was part of the process.  It became a game between them.

“You don’t have to stop just because I stopped, Jake.  My hand is just tired.  Keep going.”

“No.” 

Justin’s explanation of why his hand was tired, and why he and Jake wouldn’t be tired at the same time didn’t matter to Jake.  He wanted to be Justin, to the extent that he could.  Justin would tease him sometimes, pretending to stop, and Jake would get the joke.  Eventually, Jake would pull the same trick on Justin.  They were good for each other.

One day while Jake was sitting on the deck in his chair painting on his easel, Justin was sitting beside him sketching.  When Jake finished, he showed Justin what he’d painted, a tree or something from the backyard, and Justin showed him his sketch of Jake at his easel, painting.  I was standing on the stairs to our deck while this was going on trying to decide if I wanted to mow the grass or not.

“Da.”  Justin had gotten pretty good at understanding Jake.

“You want to show your Dad your painting?” 

“DA!” 

“I can hear you, Jake.  You don’t have to scream.”  When I went to look at his painting, he shook his head and pointed to Justin.  Justin handed me his sketch pad.  I looked at the amazing sketch that Justin had done of my son, the artist.  “Jake, look at you.  Wow.”

“I pay.”

“Yeah, you sure do, Jake.  You paint.”  And then I stopped looking at Justin’s sketch of Jake and really looked at my son, the artist.

Those were the first two words he’d ever strung together in his entire life.

******************************
and I’m not ashamed to say the wild boys were my friends

The third time I heard Justin Taylor’s name out of Brian Kinney’s mouth was after Justin had been in L.A. a little over three months.  Brian called me out of the blue on day at the office.

“Matt Westheim.”

“Greetings King of the Lite Brite and Master of All Really Dumb Ideas.”

“Touché.”  The more things change with Brian Kinney, the more they stay the same.

“How’s your pre-pubescent Picasso?”

“Not quite as talented as yours, but he’s getting there.”  He laughed on the other end of the line.

“Give him time.  Give him time.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this phone call?”

"Are you free next weekend?”

“Are you asking me out?”

“We do threesomes, if that’s what you’re getting at.”

“He’s my kid’s hero.  Do you mind?”

"You and I have more in common every day, Matthew.  It’s starting to freak me the fuck out.”

******************************
he says, "son, can you play me a memory?”

It was like time picked up right where it left off when I picked up Brian and Lindsay at the airport after lunch on Thursday, except that Gus was there, four years of proof that time had passed. 

“Lindsay, he’s beautiful.  And you look great.  You haven’t changed a bit.”

“Neither have you.  I can’t wait to see Val and the kids again.  It’s been so long.”

“Hey, what about me?”  Brian can’t tolerate not being the center of attention for more than thirty seconds.

“What about you?”  I hugged him.  Gus was in his arms.  “I can’t believe you made something this cute.”

“Yeah, well, just wait until the jet lag hits him.  Then you’ll be sorry you agreed to this.”

“Daddy, where’s Mr. Justin?” 

“That’s the eighty-fifth time he’s asked me that in the last half hour.”  I laughed.  Mr. Justin?

Gus repeated his question several more times on the way to my house, and Brian answered it in between telling me that this had also been Gus’ first plane ride and that he should have never let Gus have Coke on the plane.  Lindsay told him Gus was fine, that he was just excited, and to stop queening out. 

“Gus is convinced that every plane he sees takes him to Justin.”  Gus was asleep before we even got home.

Jake eyed Brian like an animal zeroing in for the kill while Brian helped himself to a beer from our fridge.  “Jake, do you remember Brian from Uncle John’s wedding?  Brian’s the one that sends you all of those catalogs.  You sat with him remember?” 

“Wa.”  Brian’s face lit up.

“You remember me.”  He went over and sat on the floor in front of Jake’s chair, so he could be eye level with Jake.  “Yeah, you liked my watch.”  Jake flipped through this giant black book on his tray and pointed to Brian’s photo, the old one Brian sent me years ago.  “Yeah, that’s me.”  Jake pointed to his other book, his art book, and I switched them for him.  He flipped through pages until he found the picture he wanted.  It was a sketch of Brian that Justin had done.  I’d never seen it before.

“You.”

“Yeah, that’s me at the airport in Pittsburgh.”

“Justin’ll be here in half an hour, Brian.”

“I’m gonna take a shower then.”

Jake looked at me, “Si.”

“What’s he saying?”

“Outside.  He wants to go outside.  He and Justin usually draw outside.  Jake’s more of a landscape artist.”  Jake laughed.  He’s always had a sense of humor about himself.

******************************
come out, Virginia
don’t make me wait


The minute Justin arrived, he headed straight for the backyard.  He knew that’s where Jake would be, waiting for him.  He usually helped him put on his smock, set up his easel and his paints, and then talked with him about what he wanted to paint or to draw if Jake was in a more patient mood and felt like tackling pencils.  But for some reason that day, Justin had some new idea he wanted to try, and when Brian came downstairs, ready to surprise him on the deck, he wasn’t on the deck.  He was rolling Jake’s chair and his paints and his paper and everything else into the backyard.  Brian’s stood inside the sliding glass door that leads to our deck, his hand wrapped around his second beer, shaking his head. 

“Matt, what the fuck is he doing?”

“I have no idea.”

“This was not the plan.”

“I know.”

“You were in charge of the plan.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“Well?”

“I don’t know what to do.”

So we stood there, watching, mind-boggled, trying to figure out what the fuck Justin was doing.  I think Jake was, too.  He was completely intrigued.  Justin stopped pulling Jake when they got to the biggest tree in our backyard.

“My son loves to draw trees.  He’s fascinated by trees.”

“That’s great, Matt.  That helps me a lot.”

Justin put a piece of paper on the tree, reached down for Jake’s hand, picked it up, and put it on the paper.  Then he got his other hand and did the same thing.  So then my son was sitting in his chair with both hands pressed against a piece of paper on a tree.  Justin got out a pair of scissors and picked up a roll of duct tape.

“Where’d the duct tape come from?” 

Brian laughed, “You’re asking me?”

Once the paper was taped to the tree, he helped Jake let go, helped him with his smock, set up his paints, and then taped another piece of paper to the tree right above Jake’s.  Justin ran his brush over the paper, and Jake’s arms start to flap up and down.  When the outline of the bark started to appear through the paper, Jake got so excited, he almost tipped his chair over.  Justin anchored it with his foot.  I could see Justin saying, “You do it,” to Jake.  Jakes strokes were broad and coarse and sloppy, but it didn’t matter.  He got the same effect.  He could paint just as well as Justin.  He covered the whole piece of paper in less than two minutes and was ready for another one. 

“You know he’s an artist in the bedroom, too.”  Brian lifted his beer to me.

“You just had to ruin this moment for me, didn’t you?”

“I came to California to come.”

“That bed upstairs is an antique.  Don’t break it.”

“I’ll take the toolbox with me.  That’s the best I can do.”

Brian informed me of the new master plan to lure Justin into the house since mine had so dismally failed.  I had to admit, his plan was better.  I guess I’m just out of practice when it comes to snagging tail.

“All right, Kinney, let me go have my moment with my son before you go have your moment with yours.”

“I’ll gladly wait my turn.  Mine’s gonna take a lot longer.”

******************************
I’d rather laugh with the sinners
than cry with the saints
the sinners are much more fun…


It was everything I could do to keep from laughing when Justin’s cell phone rang in the backyard about five minutes later.  No matter what he said to Brian, Brian just kept repeating that he couldn’t hear him.  Over and over and over.  Finally, after yelling into his phone, Justin looked at me, frustrated, and said, “Can I just go in your house and use your regular phone?”

“Sure.”

He opened the sliding glass door and walked right into Brian.

“Brian!”

“Justin.”

“Oh my god.”

Justin’s feet were at least a foot off the ground when Brian shut the door.

A little over two hours later, my cell phone rang.  It was Brian.

"Where’s Lindsay?”

“Standing right next to me in the driveway.”

"Can you please tell her that Gus woke up from his nap and he’s crying?”

“Lindsay, Gus woke up from his nap, and he’s crying……………….It is interfering with your ambiance?”

“It’s making Justin’s maternal instincts kick in.”

“Will you be ordering room service later or will you be coming down for dinner?”

“Send up a menu and the tool box.”
 
******************************
you say your mother told you all that I could give you was a reputation

It was obvious to me, when Justin and Brian showed up at my house at eight a.m. on Saturday morning, that they’d been fucking non-stop since we left them at the restaurant Thursday night, but taking Gus to Disneyland wasn’t my idea in the first place.  It was Brian’s.  Something about making a promise to Gus to show him where Mickey Mouse lives and where rockets take off, and since there was no way he was going to Florida, Gus would have to settle for Mickey Mouse and Mr. Justin.  It made no sense to me, but most of the things Brian does don’t make much sense to me, so that was nothing new.

Gus and Jake had gotten along great together at my house all day Friday since Gus loves to draw and Jake loves to show off.  Jake was thrilled to have a mobile friend who he could order around.  He basically spent the day just pointing to things to see if he could get Gus to actually bring them to him.  Jake actually got Gus to bring him my wallet.  I had to pull Jake aside and have a conversation with him at that point.  I worry about him sometimes.  He’s a little mastermind.  Every time I’m missing something and he’s had a friend over, I think I should frisk him.  Val lost her wedding ring once, and I spent half the day looking for it all the while thinking Jake probably had it.  He didn’t.  Val found it in her purse.

Our day at Disneyland was more or less like I expected it to be.  Insane.  Every time Jake leaves the house, he wants to be dressed to kill, so I had to spend the night before and that morning explaining to him why it’s inappropriate to wear a shirt and tie to Disneyland.  Brian’s menswear catalogs have completely poisoned him.  He believes everything he reads.  If the description beside a sport coat says it’s ‘for any occasion,’ then Jake thinks that means he should wear a sport coat to Disneyland.  I admire the way his mind works sometimes, and then sometimes I just want to take Brian somewhere and beat and the crap out of him.  Him and the mailman.

Ironically, though, it was Brian who saved me that morning when he and Justin showed up in regular clothes.

“See, Jake, Brian and Justin aren’t wearing shirts and ties to go to Disneyland.  They’re wearing regular clothes just like the rest of us.”

“My clothes aren’t regular.  This is a Prada shirt.”  I almost punched Brian.  Justin intervened on my behalf.

"No, it’s not, Brian.  You got that shirt at the mall.”  Brian was about to object when Justin did something to him that, quite frankly, is none of my business.

“Um, that’s right.  I got this shirt at the mall.”  Brian looked like he wanted to vomit after the word “mall” came out of his mouth.  “You owe me for that, Sunshine.  Big time.  I don’t even buy my hangers at the mall.”

“Shhh.”

Jake’s favorite ride at Disneyland or anywhere for that matter is bumper cars.  There aren’t many rides he can ride, but he loves that one, mainly because he can control it well enough, and he feels like he has power.  We spent about forty-five minutes taking turns in the car with Jake letting him slam into each one of us.  It’s therapy for him.  It’s worth it. 

Justin and Brian’s favorite ride was each other behind the defunct Frozen Lemonade shack about five hundred feet away from the bumper cars.  They rode that ride more than once, too.  Brian looked just as happy as every little kid at Disneyland each time he got off.  I stood next to him in disbelief as he smoked a cigarette.  I think that came with his ride, too.

“You are unbelievable, Brian Kinney.”

“I paid for my ticket just like everybody else.”

“I’d love to fuck Val behind that abandoned lemonade shack structure thing.”

“So do it.”

“Oh, yeah, right.  I can see that now.  ‘Val, honey, you wanna fuck behind that thing over there?’  Brian’ll keep an eye on the kids for us.”  Brian flattened his cigarette on the cement.

“No, no, no Matthew.  You’ve got it all wrong.  You don’t ask.  You tell them.  That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you for what?  Some twenty-some million years now?”

“At least.”

“It’s all in the voice, Matt.  Trust me.  Watch this.”  Justin was about forty feet away from us, looking in the opposite direction, totally oblivious to what we were talking about when Brian called him, “Justin.”  He turned his head immediately.  “Come here.”  Justin walked over, put his hands on Brian’s waist, and Brian leaned down and basically gave him a tonsillectomy right in front of me.  I looked in the other direction.

“What was that for?”  Justin asked him when Brian finally let him come up for air.

“This is just such a magical kingdom.”  He kissed him again, turned him around, slapped him on the butt and sent him on his way. 

“You know, when we were kids and I moved away to Florida, I always wished that you’d come visit me and you and I could do the Disney thing.  I never once imagined I’d be standing in a Disney establishment watching you play tonsil hockey with your freakishly young, yet oddly mature, very pretty boyfriend.”

“If you play your cards right, you might be able to lure Linds behind that shack.  She likes it up against a wall.”

“Do you listen to yourself or are your mouth and your brain just no longer connected?”

“It’s intermittent.  Probably needs a tune-up.”

“Ya think?”

I tried that 'say your name, come here thing' with Val that night when we were done with dinner.  She came right over.  After I kissed her, she said, “Thanks, now do the dishes,” and left me standing there with a dish towel in my hand. 

He makes everything look so damn easy.

******************************
he’s a smooth operator

I had the utter good fortune of getting to witness their good-bye at the airport that Sunday.  Brian’s final intimate moments with Justin were punctuated by a very long kiss that belonged in L.A. because it belonged in the movies.  It landed me in less than warm water with my wife.

“Why can’t you kiss me like that once in a while?”

“I tried to kiss you like that last night after dinner, but you just wanted me to do the dishes!”  She shook her head at me like I was hopeless. I was tempted to grab her, throw her back, and plant one on her, but I was afraid she’d make me get on a plane afterwards.  So instead, I gave Brian the finger.  He returned the favor, the same hand groping Justin’s ass at the time.

Justin had tears in his eyes as he walked back toward us.  Val grabbed him and hugged him as tight as she could.  She has no problem being affectionate with Justin.  I tried to make myself cry so I could get in on it, but it just wasn’t going to happen.

“Oh, Justin, that was the most romantic thing I’ve ever seen,” Val consoled him.  Justin had just been fondled to death.  He didn’t need any more affection.  I did. 

Justin wiped his eyes over Val’s shoulder.  “Yeah, he’s a really good kisser at the airport.”

….and in my kitchen, and my guest room, and the back seat of my car, and my backyard, and especially behind the now defunct Frozen Lemonade Shack at Disneyland………….

******************************
I thought our little wild time had just begun

We didn’t know it at the time, but that visit marked that halfway point of Justin’s time in L.A.  Three months later, we were at the airport telling him good-bye.  Two weeks before that, I was trying to break the news to Jake.  He took it about like I thought he would.

“No.”

“I’m sorry, Jake.  But he is.  He was only going to be out here for a little while.  It was only temporary.”

“No.”

I didn’t know what I was going to do.  My entire family was practically in mourning.

My wife was crying because before Justin came, she’d never been able just to walk down to the mailbox or run to the store or anything without Jake in tow or threatening Alex and Tyler within an inch of their lives if they left his side.  The boys resented having to look after Jake, and Jake hated being looked after.  I rushed home from work to relieve her many a night because she was at her wits end.  We’d had many a sitter or aide come in to help, but Jake hated every one of them and made their lives miserable.  No matter what, Val or I had been by his side since he was born.  Jake just hadn’t enjoyed anyone else’s company outside of this family until he met Justin.  And now he had to leave.

Jake’s one of the smartest children I’ve ever met, and one of the proudest.  He was determined not to let Justin know how upset he was that he was leaving.  Instead, he just became more and more interested in whatever Justin was showing him how to do that day and tried even harder.  I think he thought that if he just kept drawing and painting and laughing with Justin that he wouldn’t leave. 

Ever since Justin had drawn that picture of Jake painting that day, Jake had gone from being fascinated with trees and backyards to people.  Justin had shown him some comic book sketches he’d done that were child-appropriate, and Jake seemed to enjoy the different ways that Justin could portray people.  He drew a comical sketch of Jake once wearing his suit and tie, and Jake laughed for twenty minutes.  It’s still hanging over his bed.  There’s a bubble over his head that says something like, ‘I’d rather be in Gucci.’ 

He’s drawn pictures of all of us for Jake, pictures of Val on the phone in the kitchen, Alex and Tyler doing their homework, and even one of me kissing Val when I got home from work one day.  Jake calls that picture:  “Oooo.”  I told Justin I was going to send it to Brian to prove to him that my wife really does let me kiss her. 

“I’ll make you a copy, but I already told him.” 

“What’d he say?”

“He said you paid her.”

Jake and Justin dissolved into laughter. 

“Oooo.”

“Be quiet, Jake.”

From clear across the country, Brian Kinney had somehow turned my own son against me.

******************************
how about a pair of pink sidewinders
and a bright orange pair of pants?


Jake’s good-bye with Justin at the airport did not involve cinematic kissing, but it did involve Jake wearing a shirt and tie and a sport coat because Jake knows that people dress up to go to the airport and there was no way I was going to convince him otherwise, and it was a real tie, too, not a clip-on.  Jake’s no poser.  He’s the real thing.  Hell, I dressed up, too, because once I got him dressed up, I felt pretty stupid in a t-shirt and jeans.  We had a bit of time to kill once we got to the airport, which was fine with Jake.  The only thing that makes him happier than looking at pictures in catalogs, is actually seeing the real thing.  He was like a kid in a candy store watching so many men come and go in so many different suits and ties and, lo and behold, briefcases.  About half an hour before Justin had to go, he told Jake he had something for him and pulled a small box out of his pocket.  He had to help Jake open it.  Jake smiled from ear to ear when he saw what was in it.  They were small, silver cuff links.

“Jay!”

“Yeah, ‘J.’  They have a ‘J’ on them for ‘Jake.’  They’re from me and Brian.”

“Juh.”

“Yeah, and for ‘Justin.’  Don’t want you to forget me.”

My son waited until Justin was long gone, and we were back in the car before he said anything to me.  He was so quiet, I thought maybe he’d fallen asleep.

“Da.”

“Hmm?”

“Bye, Juh.”

“I’m going to miss him, too, Jake.  I really am.”

******************************
don’t you know about the new fashion honey?
all you need are looks and a whole lotta money


Right before Justin left, I enrolled Jake in an art class that met on Saturday mornings.  It was a class for regular kids; he was the only handicapped child enrolled.  I didn’t want him to lose the spark that Justin has ignited in him.  Jake was excited, mostly about what he was going to wear on his first day.  We went through our usual song and dance.

“You can’t wear a shirt and tie to art class.  C’mon, Jake.  You need to pick something else.”

I let him ponder his alternate wardrobe choice in front of his closet while I went to his desk to get his art supplies.  The community center wouldn’t have the brushes and other adaptive tools Jake needed, so he’d have to bring them.  I opened his drawer where we keep his smocks, and found this on top:

Epilogue3positit


It was one of Justin’s dress shirts that I’d seen him wear.  One that I think he told me Brian had given him.

“Jake, I think I found something for you to wear.”  He recognized it immediately.

“Juh.”

“It’s your new Armani smock.”

Jake felt like the king of the world when he rolled into that classroom.  He dove in and never looked back.  It was like Justin had never left.

******************************
nowadays you can’t be too sentimental
your best bet’s a true baby blue Continental


Except he had.  And things were back to normal.  And my wife, through all fault of my own, was pregnant again about two weeks later.  We kept it quiet.  After what happened with Jake, Val was worried, pensive during this pregnancy, unlike all the others.  For some reason, it made her seem even more beautiful, this secret we were sharing, until, of course, we couldn’t anymore.  By five months along, everyone knew.

I called Justin, once we settled our daughter into our home, to tell him the news.  He was at the loft.  I figured I’d let him break it to Brian. 

“We’re home.  It’s a girl.”

"No way!  And everything’s fine?  She’s fine?”

“She’s perfect.”

"Now, are you going to put your pecker away?”  Brian had picked up on the line.

"Brian, hang up.”

"Hell, no.  I won’t hang up.  Who’s she look like?”

“Val, actually.  All Val.  Big blue eyes.  Blonde hair.”  Okay, so Brian’s not the only one with a thing for the classic blonde.  If we’d both been straight, we’d’ve been in the parking lot beating the shit out of each other over the same girl.  Trust me.

"Justin, did you fuck Val before you left L.A.?”

"Brian!”

"If she grows up to have a very fuckable ass, she’s Justin’s.”

"Hang up!”

“Her name is Taylor Westheim.”

"No way.  Oh, that’s so-“

"Are you gonna call her ‘Sunshine?”

"Matt, just ignore him.  How’s Jake taking it?  Is he okay?”

"I’m not taking this well at all.”

“There isn’t one picture we’ve taken of Taylor that he hasn’t been in.  Just this itty bitty baby and Jake’s huge smiling face.  He’s such a proud big brother.”

"At least someone with fashion sense is in the family portrait.”

"Seriously, ignore him.  Oh, that’s so great.  I’m so glad.  Tell him to paint me a picture.”

“All you’ll get is this big blob of pink.”

"That’s okay.  That’s what I want!”

"I’ve got a big blob of pink you can have.”

“I know, in your own way, Brian, that means, ‘congratulations.’”

"No, it means Justin needs to get off the phone and –“

"Matt, send me a picture and tell Val I said ‘congratulations.’  I’ve got to put Brian down for his nap.”

“Justin, you’ve got the biggest baby of the whole bunch.”

"And I’m a single parent.  Go figure.  Talk to you soon.”

"Your life is so har--    Ow!  Fuck!  That’s child abus--_________________”

I don’t believe in corporal punishment, but sometimes……..you have no other choice.

******************************
only the good die young

When I was a boy, the days I went to the railroad tracks and Brian never showed up were always the worst for me.  My mind filled in the blanks of everything I didn’t know.  I would play games with myself, setting time limits……

if he’s not here in five minutes, then……

if he’s not here if fifteen….

If he’s not here in an hour….


until the afternoon had gone by….  while I’d done nothing but try to figure out how to break a marble and why a grown man needed to use a skinny, smart-mouthed kid as a punching bag…..why nobody did anything……..

why I didn’t do anything……

why I couldn’t do anything……

why somebody cared enough to hurt him but not enough to help him.

When I was a father, and my son was born, I wondered why I couldn’t fix everything.  Why, no matter what I did, no matter how many suits and shirts and ties I bought him, Jake would never rule the world.  Why loving him just wasn’t enough.  Or was it?  Or maybe I was doing it wrong.

The picture that sits in my office today of Jake and my daughter, a disproportionate amount of pink in the lap of young man in a beautifully tailored navy blue suit, a mauve tie in honor of his sister, and a beautiful pair of monogrammed cuff links with a ridiculously joyous smile on his face, is a picture I didn’t think anyone could paint.  Brian Kinney, like my son, needed to control his world, to make sense out of the cruel, unfair cards he was dealt.   And I suppose the irony in all of this is that Justin Taylor, a boy who’s barely a man, who was taken down with a baseball bat and stood back up again, did that for both of them.  He gave something to them that they’d never had, that they didn’t even think was possible.  Certainly, in the case of Brian Kinney, something he’d never even known.

And now, just like my son, in his own stubborn, roughly sophisticated, dressed to kill way, Brian Kinney was going to gather and guard those close to him and make damn sure that he did rule the world.  Free and clear, on his own terms, and without once looking over his shoulder.

But if he did, if he faltered and looked back, he wouldn’t have to fear what was behind him.  Not this time.

Not anymore.

Well—

………..not as long as he stayed on the East coast. 

The West coast is my territory.  I have proof. 

The maps from the railroad tracks, torn, taped, faded, littered with pin holes and all of my drawn and re-drawn boundaries…even all of Claire’s junk…..he wasn’t home that day.  I never got to hand it over.

So our stuff, the West coast, and I guess any women that'll have me, all of that belongs to me.

The end.  Really.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=418