Alphabet by Sabina
Summary:

Stories written for Moonshadow's Alphabet Challenge.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Drabble, Family, Post-series
Genres: Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Drew
Challenges: None
Series: Alphabet Challenge
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 8349 Read: 37821 Published: Oct 26, 2016 Updated: Nov 19, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. A is for Apple by Sabina

2. B is for Bat by Sabina

3. C is for Can't by Sabina

4. D is for Debbie by Sabina

5. E is for Enormous by Sabina

6. F is for Fabulous by Sabina

7. G is for Gus and the Girls by Sabina

8. I is for Indignation by Sabina

9. J is for Justin by Sabina

10. K is for Kaleidoscope by Sabina

11. L is for Loving by Sabina

12. M is for Mississippi by Sabina

13. N is for Noise by Sabina

14. P is for Proposal by Sabina

15. Q is for Quintessential by Sabina

16. S is for Scrunch by Sabina

17. U is for Umbrella by Sabina

18. V is for Victor by Sabina

19. W is for Wrestling by Sabina

20. X is for Xylophone by Sabina

21. Y is for Yellow by Sabina

A is for Apple by Sabina

Justin's POV

Brian has a thing for apples. He likes all types of apples but he's fascinated by a green apple. Brian doesn't hide his thing for apples; in fact he's quite honest about his appreciation for apples. Some people talk about the way Brian juggles his apples but I think they're just jealous. I mean it's not anyone who can pick an apple by just looking at it.

Brian has a special strategy when he's in the mood for apples. He slowly walks up and down the produce aisle, cruising for that special apple. He'll only take home an apple when he's satisfied with the quality. Or if he's in a rush, he'll have the apple right then and there.

Of course, it's only the very special apple that's allowed in Brian's bed. And only one exceptional apple that he'll eat in bed.

What do I think about Brian's obsession with apples? I don't mind it at all because I happen to know that I'm the apple of his eye.

 

 

B is for Bat by Sabina

“What the fuck is that?” Brian shouted as he instinctually leapt back and ducked his head when a small unidentified flying object appeared to swoop toward him.

“Hmm?” Justin murmured lackadaisically. Justin was dozing on a soft cushiony chaise strategically placed in the shade on their balcony. A tall cool tropical drink with a bright umbrella sticking out of it was within arm’s length on a nearby table. He cracked open one eye to see what his partner was complaining about.

“Oh that? It’s just a bat. I think it’s a baby,” Justin said.

Brian arched both eyebrows in surprise then scowled. “Thank you, Mr. NatGeo. Do you mind telling me why you failed to mention that we have a bat on our balcony?”

Justin sat up, reached for his drink and took a good long pull on the straw. Brian’s scowl deepened. The boys were on a well deserved vacation. They had leased a small villa with an ocean view in Acapulco. Justin was determined that nothing, including Brian’s queenie moments, was going to interfere with his vacation good mood.

“First of all, it’s only OUR balcony for a month since you plunked down an undisclosed amount of money,” Justin said with an annoyed sneer. Brian knew how much the young artist needed to get away from the pressures of producing painting after painting for a long block of shows. The money meant nothing; Justin’s health and well-being meant more.

“Second, the bat was here first,” Justin said with another slurp of his drink. He put the fancy cocktail on the table then laid back on his chaise.

Duly chastised, Brian threw Justin an incredulous look before fetching a cocktail of his own.

A while later Brian ventured a suggestion.

“Do you think we should call the management company? What if it attacks in the middle of the night?”

“Don’t worry about it, it’s only a fruit bat. It’ll only attack a fruit,” Justin explained as he rolled over then cracked up with laughter as he pulled out his phone.

C is for Can't by Sabina

They said I can’t open my own successful agency.

They said he can’t make it as an artist.

They say I can’t be in love.

They say he can’t ever be happy with me.

They say I can’t be monogamous.

They say we can’t marry.

They say it can’t work between us.

They say I can’t open another agency in New York and be successful.

They say he can’t sell his work.

They say I can’t be a good father.

“Hey, Grampa Bri, Grampa Jus says to move your skinny ass and get out here. We can’t start to grill without you!” the young man said with a sunny mischievous smile. Brian smiled brightly at his spirited grandson who looked a lot like Gus.

“Never say can’t, Sonny Boy. Never say can’t,” Brian replied as he followed his grandson out of his office in Britin and into the yard to join his family.

D is for Debbie by Sabina

The boys huddled together as they looked down staring at the only mother most of them had ever known.

Michael and Justin’s eyes were sparkling with unshed tears in an attempt to be brave. Emmett made no attempt, he quietly sobbed on Drew’s shoulder. Carl’s face was unreadable; years of practice as a detective made his expression the norm. Ted was studying some legal looking documents.

Brian remained outwardly stoic but on the inside he was raging.

“What the fuck are you all looking at? I’m not dead yet, you assholes. I only had my fucking knee replaced,” Debbie suddenly groused loudly, startling the boys as the anesthesia wore off and she was beginning to wake up. “Where’s the nurse? I need some fucking drugs!”

Carl rolled his eyes then pressed the button for the nurse. Michael and Justin smiled then carefully gave Debbie a hug. Emmett cheered while Drew murmured, “I told you so.” Teddy smirked.

Brian let out the breath he wasn’t aware he was holding. “I need coffee,” he grumbled as he left the room, visibly relieved.

E is for Enormous by Sabina

Justin's POV

I love Brian. I adore everything about him. I admire the way he gets things done when others have doubts. I love the way he looks, his fashion sense and I love seeing him naked. It never ceases to amaze me how supportive he is to me and to my art. And how much I know he loves me.

Yes, I love everything about Brian. But I especially love his enormous... heart.

F is for Fabulous by Sabina

“Does this make my ass look fat?” Emmett asked Drew as he scrutinized himself in the mirror. The boys were preparing to go to a very special wedding in a few days, so of course, Emmett wanted them to look perfect.

“Babe, there’s not one ounce of extra fat on you anywhere,” Drew stated as he looked over the newspaper in his hands. Drew’s mother had raised no stupid children.

“Aw, thank you, Honey. You always say the sweetest thing,” Emmett replied with a happy grin. He then turned to study his reflection. “Are you sure this doesn’t make my ass look fat?”

“Em, you’re perfect,” Drew assured his partner.

“Maybe it’s the color,” Emmett said. Emmett was wearing a suit in a particularly interesting shade of burnt orange. Emmett had surmised that since the wedding was taking place in late Fall, a subdued orange would be more appropriate. After all one did not want to look like a bright pumpkin.

Emmett went back to rummage through his closet.

“Hmm, perhaps this one,” Em murmured as he pulled out a deep red three piece suit. “I do like the vest.”

“Babe, I believe the groom is wearing a maroon tie. You wouldn’t want to clash,” Drew said wisely.

Emmett gasped. “Oh, I forgot about that. Thank you, Honey! You are so right. I wouldn’t want to outshine the wedding party now would I,” Emmett said as he quickly shoved the red suit back into the closet.

As Emmett’s hand gravitated toward something in a purple with fuchsia pinstripes, Drew put down his newspaper and stood up.

“Would you mind a suggestion?” Drew ventured.

“From you? Of course not. You always look so well tailored, always in style,” Emmett gushed as he ran his hand down Drew’s well muscled chest.

“I realize I’m only a dumb jock and I certainly don’t have your experience or knowledge of the latest fashion trends but it seems to me that if I’m wearing navy with a navy and gray tie maybe you could wear something in a dark gray,” Drew said thoughtfully.

“Gray? But that’s just so gray.” Emmett replied, aghast.

“Didn’t you once tell me that it’s all about accessorizing?”

“I did say that. You are so right.” Emmett’s face lit up with an epiphany as he pulled out a handsomely sedate deep slate gray suit. “And I know just the right tie,” Emmett beamed

Satisfied that his wedding attire problem was solved, Emmett could now concentrate on other things such as catering the event.

“Honey,” Emmett called out as he was about to leave their apartment. “I’m going to the food emporium, see you later,” Emmett said as he left the home that he shared with Drew for several years. Before Drew could reply, he heard the door slam shut. Drew smiled to himself, shaking his head. There was no one else in the world like his Emmett Honeycutt, thank the gods. And wasn’t he the luckiest man for it.

As he spied Emmett’s car driving away through the window, Drew pulled out his phone.

“Hey, it’s me. Yeah, no worries, it’s all good. No orange, no red, just deep gray with a hint of purple paisley and stripes on the tie.” Drew laughed at the loud sigh of relief. “We’ll see you on the day,” Drew said just before he hung up the phone and returned to his newspaper.

Across town a beautiful blond turned to a gorgeous brunet, smiled and gave him the thumbs up.

G is for Gus and the Girls by Sabina

Gus tried adjusting the headset on his head to drown out the shouting but nothing was working. Eighteen year old Gus loudly sighed. It constantly amazed Gus the lengths his mothers would go to “stay together for the sake of the children.” He wished they’d get the fuck over it and divorce already. It’s not like they were really married. Gus did have one set of parents that were legally married. He sighed again then made a decision.

A few years earlier, the moms realized the direction the LGBT wind was blowing in the US and decided to move back. Well, that’s the official version. The unofficial not spoken of version was it all came down to money…the lack of it. His mother had a part time job in a local museum but very low level job. His momma wasn’t able to get her license to practice the law so she clerked in a firm downtown. If it wasn’t for his dad, they wouldn’t have a roof over their heads or food to eat. The only thing Brian asked for in return was the restoration of his parental rights. The moms fought it declaring everything from his dad’s sexual reputation to where he lived. Gus didn’t know that his dad kept Britin.

Brian’s lawyers pointed out that Brian wasn’t demanding specific visitation rights just the right to be recognized as Gus’ father. Brian had every receipt and or document proving his financial contributions to not only his son but to JR and the household in general. He also had created a college fund for both children, named them both in his will, beneficiaries in a life insurance policy and set aside a separate fund that the kids could access when they turned thirty. The judge looked at the documents, sneered at the mothers then signed on the dotted line. The moms were not happy.

When the family moved back to Pittsburgh, Brian had Jennifer quietly find them an appropriate house in a good part of town. Brian plunked down the money for the down payment and paid their first six months mortgage. Brian did it for the kids. End of story.

Gus shoved his wallet in his pocket, grabbed his keys, jacket and cellphone then left his room. He took a deep breath then walked downstairs into the melee. In the kitchen, the shouting continued. JR was reading a book in the living room, her own headphones on her head. She looked oblivious to the arguing but that was only an act. She and Gus had a long standing agreement, the first one out of the house would take the other one with him. And being a lot like his dad, Gus had plans.

As Gus passed JR, he tapped her on the shoulder, waving his cell in her face. JR nodded. Like many close siblings the pair had a language all their own. Gus was going out but would be available by cell if JR needed him. JR was comforted by that. They shared no blood ties but the siblings were very close. They had many things in common including a set of parents that made arguing an Olympic event.

As Gus drove around he reviewed his options. He could go to the diner to hang out but what was he going to do, stay there all night? Not an option. He could go to Grandma Deb but Gus wasn’t in the mood for one of her lectures. Debbie knew what was going on and was very supportive in her own way, but her solution included a big family dinner that never resolved anything. No, going to Debbie’s was also not an option. He could go over to Michael and Ben’s. Gus was always welcome but Michael inherited his mother’s art of lecturing. And still had that annoying habit of declaring Brian his best friend then putting him down at any given moment. Ben would try to be helpful but there was very little he could do but smile sympathetically.

Gus went to the loft.

Gingerly, Gus slowly slid the door open. Sticking his head inside with eyes closed and ears alert for noise, Gus called out, “Hello?”

“Sonny Boy!” came a cheerful response.

“Is it safe?” Gus teased.

“Yes, it’s safe,” Justin replied with a chuckle. Gus felt a tug on his jacket. “You can open your eyes,” Justin assured the kid.

“Thanks,” Gus said with a smile. “You never know around here.” Gus walked in, shedding his jacket on the way to the kitchen area. It smelled like pot roast. Justin recognized an empty stomach when he saw it and began to set another plate at the table. Observing the unwritten rule of only discussing pleasant topics at the dinner table, the boys ate in peace, enjoying the company.

“Okay, spill,” Brian demanded as they all helped Justin to clean up. Brian gently swatted Gus with a dish towel. Gus sighed, he could never hide anything from his father and why should he? Wasn’t that the reason he drove over in the first place? But he couldn’t find the words, so Gus just shook his head.

“Let me guess, non-stop bitching,” Brian said. Gus sadly nodded.

“How’s JR coping,” Justin asked gently.

Gus shrugged his shoulders. Nothing seemed to bother JR. She just went with the flow, biding her time until she could get out. No one realized that Gus was the sensitive one. No one except for Justin. Justin recognized the similarities father and son possessed. Both silently brooded, holding in their pain until they could take it no longer. Brian’s form of pain therapy used to be various recreational drugs and fucking any passable looking male within a ten mile radius. Nowadays, Brian found other ways of funneling that pain and anger in more constructive and profitable ways. Gus had developed his own ways of coping which included sports and the arts.

“She grew up with it,” Brian mumbled as he gently enfolded his son into his arms. He understood.

“I remember parties and laughing and fun,” Gus admitted. “Before we moved.” Brian nodded, holding his son closer. He remembered too.

Brian remembered putting together a swing set for his son. A few happy times where Gus actually smiled. “I’m sorry,” Brian murmured.

“Not your fault,” Gus whispered back.

“Could’ve been a better father, a real father,” Brian admitted.

“I love you, Dad, just as you are,” Gus said. “I always knew you were there. Always.”

Hazel eyes stared into hazel eyes. The only other person besides Gus who really got Brian, who truly understood Brian, was Justin. Brian held out his arm which was suddenly filled by his partner. The family of three was complete.

“Which college did you decide on?” Brian asked out of the blue.

“Carnegie Mellon, why?” Gus asked as he watched Brian and Justin exchange a look.

Justin nodded.

“You sure?” Brian asked, never relinquishing his hold on the two most precious things he loved.

“I can work anywhere,” Justin assured Brian.

“So can I,” Brian said as he appeared to be making calculations in his head.

“And that studio is available next door. You can always stay there when you’re needed in town,” Justin said.

“What are you both talking about?” Gus asked, now thoroughly confused, his eyes flicking back and forth from Brian to Justin.

“Gus, we have a plan but it depended on the college you chose,” Justin began. “We didn’t want to say anything because we didn’t want to influence you. But since you chose Carnegie Mellon…”

“I want you to move into the loft,” Brian interrupted Justin’s explanation with his own shorter version of the plan. Justin smiled.

“And when JR’s old enough, she can move in too,” Justin added. “If she wants too. We can make some alterations,” Justin said with a knowing smile.

Gus couldn’t believe his ears, couldn’t believe what his dad…dads, were offering. And to include his sister was way beyond belief. But there it was. That was Brian Kinney.

“The moms will freak!” Gus laughed, hugging his dads tighter. “And JR will flip. She’ll probably start moving in all her shit as soon as I tell her.” Gus laughed harder then abruptly stopped. “Uh, where are you guys going to live?” he asked suddenly worried.

“We’ll find something,” Brian said with his usual snark.

“Brian,” Justin snapped with an elbow to Brian’s ribs. “Gus, your dad never sold Britin; we never had a reason to live out there.”

“Now we do,” Brian quipped with a smirk.

The boys laughed then pushed themselves out of their three-way hug with mock punches and shoves. Dessert was the next order of business and the confirmation of their plans.

The next morning Gus went back home. Nothing changed. It was a new day and a new argument. The girls in his life never learned. Except for JR. She was learning to be an excellent cook. Over breakfast the siblings discussed their getaway plan.

*****

A year later Gus slid open the loft door. “Hello?” he called out as he stuck his head into the doorway.

“Hi!” JR called out.

“Are you decent?”

“Of course I am. I’m not your dads you know,” she laughed. “I’m not the one who runs around the house naked.”

“Spare me,” Gus said as he came into the kitchen looking for food.

“Hard day?” JR asked as she placed a plate with hors d’oeuvres in front of her brother. JR had begun spending the weekends at the loft under the guise of making sure Gus had food to eat and clean clothes to wear. It never occurred to their moms that the kids had grown up very independent and were quite capable of caring for themselves.

“Long day. Lots of exams to study for and papers to write plus there’s that campaign Cynthia let me take the lead on.”

“Did you get it?” JR asked. She knew how much Gus wanted to impress his dad. Gus’ broad smile was all the answer JR needed. “Yee haw,” she cried out and the siblings cracked up with laughter for many reasons.

As for the other girls in Gus’ life, since he moved and not without a lot of fuss and more shouting, Lindsay moved into Gus’ old room. She didn’t care that it was smaller than the room she once shared with Melanie. It was her sanctuary.

Melanie had tried to force Lindsay out but Lindsay wouldn’t sell so they lived together in silence. JR found it amusing; her sanctuary was staying with Gus on weekends and spending holidays with Grandma Deb, her dad, Uncle Ben and Gus out at Britin.

Gus loved the girls in his life but it was the boys that made his life worth living.

 

I is for Indignation by Sabina

Brian’s POV

Another holiday season and another family dinner. Tonight we dine with Jennifer. It’s not so bad. Jennifer is a gracious hostess. Her home is stylish without pretense and the conversation is lively. Jennifer happens to be a very intelligent woman; Justin obviously takes after her. She sets a beautiful table and is a very good cook. Another thing Justin inherited. Tucker surprised me, he’s not just a pretty face. He and Jennifer are knowledgeable of local politics and up to date with current issues. Even Molly is a delight to be around, when she’s not trying to flirt with me. She’s harmless and it’s amusing how flustered Justin gets when Molly lays the innuendoes on thick.

I don’t mind dinner at Jennifer’s house. It’s a relaxing, pleasant evening out.

*****

Justin’s POV

I hate this shit. I don’t understand why he puts up with it. I’m beginning to hate the holidays when we’ve been summoned for the family dinner at Deb’s. It never ends. One minute they love him, then next he’s the asshole or the fuck up. They blame him for Gus being here and not JR. Can he help it if Lindsay decided to fly in and not Mel? Of course not, but somehow they make it all his fault. Does it ever occur to them how much they hurt him with their cruel comments? No.

Sometimes I find myself getting angry at him; I wish he’d stand up for himself but it’s not my call. In some ways I understand why he stays silent. Suffering in silence. But I don’t have to stay silent and I won’t. I won’t say anything in front of him but I swear if they say one more thing…
 

*****

Brian’s POV

I know he hates when we go to family dinner at Deb’s. I can see it in his eyes. He may be smiling on the outside but his eyes are shooting daggers. He wonders why I put up with it, with the indignation. Why I won’t say anything.

Why should I, when he does it so much better than me.

 

J is for Justin by Sabina

Brian’s thoughts:

Justin’s smile.

Justin’s tears.

Justin dancing.

Justin snoring.

Justin painting.

Justin’s hand cramping.

Justin’s lips.

Justin and the fiddler.

Justin’s jambalaya.

Justin unconscious.

Justin walking on a crowded street.

Justin leaving for New York.

Justin back home with me and lying asleep within my arms.

 

K is for Kaleidoscope by Sabina

Brian was in his office reviewing the contract for Kinnetik’s newest campaign. This one was for a national upscale clothing line that if successful would place Kinnetik in the forefront of all the privately owned advertising companies.

They were close, very close, according to all the polls and focus groups.

Brian took a minute between meetings and phone calls to look back at his life. He never knew what it meant to be “blessed” but maybe he was learning. He had friends, real friends, not people who came to him to fix something or get them out of a jam. He had people working for him that were the top of their class. They were the best creatively and knew how to collaborate to get the job done.

And Brian had a family; he was loved and was finally at peace with himself to be able to show and give love. Yes, he thought to himself, he was truly blessed.

As he prepared to get back to work, Brian was reminded of a toy he had as a kid. Jack, in one of his finer and sober moments took Brian and Claire to a local fair. Jack actually won a prize for Brian. It was one of those kaleidoscopes. That long cylinder of tubes put together that contained bits of colored glass, mirrors and other objects that when held up to a light source and looked through via a small hole at the other end, created colorful patterns as you turned the tube. Somehow all those bits and pieces fit together to make something wonderful.

That’s how Brian was beginning to think of his life. All those bits, pieces, events and people, Justin, Gus, Kinnetik, his family, fit together to create the kaleidoscope of Brian Kinney and his life.

 

L is for Loving by Sabina

Brian’s POV

Loving Justin isn’t a problem. It never was a problem. I love the whole package. He’s smart, talented, generous and a loyal friend. He’s beautiful too. Golden blond hair, pale creamy skin and do I have to mention his ass? Not really. Justin’s ass is the finest I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot of ass.

No, loving Justin Taylor has never been the problem. The problem is allowing him to love me. If I let Justin get close enough to love me then I risk letting him see the real me, including all my flaws and failings. And I’m not sure if I’m strong enough to take that risk. Then again when have I ever run away from a fight or a challenge? If I play it safe and never take the risk then I risk losing one of the most precious things in my life that makes it worth living.

Is Brian Kinney ready for the love from Justin Taylor? 

I think I am.

 



M is for Mississippi by Sabina

“Hi Teddy,” Emmett said as he walked into Kinnetik.

“Em, what are you doing here?”

“His majesty called demanding an audience.”

“Ah. We’re planning a major presentation, he probably wants to discuss catering.”

“Not a problem,” Emmett replied with a sigh.

“Em, is something wrong?”

“Not really; just a little homesick.”

“Homesick? I don’t understand.”

“It’s been a little over twenty years since I left Hazelhurst. Sometimes I miss it.”

“I’m sorry,” Ted said as he stood to give his friend a supportive hug. Emmett hugged back and hung onto his friend for a while. “Why don’t you go back for a visit?”

“I’ve thought about it but then I realize that my life is here. This is my home.”

“True, but sometimes to appreciate what you have its good to go back to how and where it all began.”

“I’ll think about it,” Emmett said with a faraway look in his eyes.

“Do you still have family there?”

“Yes. None of them thought I’d amount to anything. And well, me being me, I never really fit in.” Emmett waved his hand up and down.

“Then it’s about time you showed them wrong,” Ted declared.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Honeycutt! Get your fairy ass in here!” they heard Brian bellow. Ted and Emmett rolled their eyes.

“I better go in before he pops a blood vessel or something,” Emmett said with a grin. Ted nodded in agreement.

About an hour later, Ted heard his master’s voice.

“Schmidt!”

“Theodore, did we make a decision about that inquiry from the company in Jackson?” Brian growled out.

“Jackson? Jackson, Mississippi,” Emmett asked, perking up when he heard the name. Ignoring Emmett, Ted and Brian went on with their conversation.

“Not yet. You said we had to do more research since we aren’t familiar with the market.”

“Then I think it’s about time we became familiar with the market,” Brian said with a determined arch of an eyebrow. It took Ted all of a fraction of a second to hop on the clue bus.

“Excellent idea,” Ted said with a wide grin. “I should go make those arrangements.”

“Yes you should. I’ll take Cynthia with me and our consultant.”

“Right away, Boss.”

*****

A few weeks later, a limousine conspicuously snaked its way through the main street of the small town of Hazelhurst, Mississippi. It stopped in front of a modest home then discharged one passenger. The passenger went up to the front door, knocked and at the acknowledgment went inside.

“Are you sure he’ll be all right?” Cynthia asked Brian. They were waiting inside the limo.

“No fucking clue, but that’s why we have ‘Starsky and Hutch’ with us,” Brian said indicating their driver and his companion both of which were ex-military and trained to handled delicate situations.

“Emmett may not like his welcome.”

“True, but what’s the alternative? Living your life without ever knowing? Never trying? If it all falls to shit then at least he’ll know he tried,” Brian said wisely.

Cynthia nodded.

“And if it does work out then Emmett will have a family besides us.”

“And what about you, Brian, who’s your family besides us? Including Gus and Justin, of course.”

“That ship sailed a hell of a long time ago. Besides this is about Emmett not me,” Brian stated, effectively ending the conversation. 

Brian closed his eyes and waited for their friend. A couple of hours later Brian sent ‘Hutch’ to go fetch Emmett; they had a flight to catch. Emmett was smiling when he entered the car.

“It went well?” Brian asked, not pressing for details.

“Yes,” Emmett replied with a toothy smile.

“Read to go home?” Brian asked, aware of exactly how he phrased the question.

“Pittsburgh, PA, here we come!” Emmett said happily as he settled back into his seat ready for the ride to the airport and home.

 

 

N is for Noise by Sabina

Brian lifted the elevator gate with one hand, then stepping out, he quickly pulled down the gate and pulled off his tie. He was tired! Brian was looking forward to a hot shower, a cold beer then maybe he’d find the energy to eat. But most of all Brian was looking forward to a quiet night.

Yeah, right.

“What the fuck?” Brian cursed the second he pulled back the door and stepped inside the loft.

The music was blaring and there were his partner and his son wiggling their butts in time to the music. Brian’s first thought was to pull the plug on the CD player; his presence had thus far gone unnoticed. But the look of sheer happiness on the two most precious people in his life made Brian rethink that thought.

Brian made it to the bedroom without his dancing queens realizing he was home. He changed his clothes then stood on the steps watching. Brian had to admit, it looked like they were having lots of fun.

Suddenly, not so tired anymore, Brian made his way into the middle of their impromptu dance floor and began to wiggle his butt in time to the music. Shocked to a standstill for only a moment, Justin and Gus laughed with delight as they all danced the night away.

P is for Proposal by Sabina

 "I do."

"I do, what?"

"I do."

"Justin, what the fuck are you doing?"

"Practicing."

"Practicing what? He asks with trepidation.".

"Practicing my response for the wedding ceremony."

"So you're getting married; congratulations. Who's the lucky guy?"

"You, you moron."

"I was unaware that I had proposed."

"You did! Of course it was about ten years ago."

"Of course it was. I do recall the incident but I also recall that while my proposal was accepted, said proposee went off to New York to find fame and fortune."

"Proposee? Is that even a word? And I did find fame and fortune..."

"More or less."

"Stop interrupting. I found enough of it and I came back. And I've been back for a while, so I figured it was time that I practise for the wedding."

"I see. What makes you think that a ten year old proposal is still valid? Maybe I've changed my mind."

"Have you?"

"Hmm. Let's find out. Ask me."

"Excuse me?"

"Ask me."

"Ask you what?"

"Now who's the moron?"

"Ohhh. Brian Kinney, would you do me the great honor of marrying me?"

"I'm not sure."

"What?!"

"Do you promise not to run off to New York or Paris or Milan without me?"

"I promise."

"Then yes, I will marry you!"

"Yee Haw!"

 

"I do." 

Q is for Quintessential by Sabina
Author's Notes:

 A Sunshine Files snippet set sometime in the future.

They had nothing to prove. Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor were important assets to the city of Pittsburgh for many reasons and each in his own way. Their families too had become important since Anderson Construction had a division of the company in Pittsburgh. 

But today was Justin's day. Brian made sure they arrived in style because that's what Brian did best. 

The classic Corvette Stingray roared into town. He and Justin were attending the gala opening of a Justin Taylor art show at the Sidney Bloom gallery run by Lindsay since Sidney had long retired. Everyone who was anyone was planning to attend. Invitations to the gala were highly prized and sought after. As the star of the show, Justin was dressed to the nines. Brian was also impeccably dressed in a sleek Armani suit as classic as his car.

As the couple entered the gallery, the level of noise suddenly became subdued. The eyes turned toward the artist still had the power to make Justin blush. He had learned long ago the lesson of humility.

Brian subtly separated himself from his younger partner, gradually fading into the background. "You do that well," Lindsay murmured into Brian's ear as she handed him a glass of champagne.

Brian shrugged his shoulders as he took a sip. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't. You know, I think I owe you an apology."

"No apologies, no regrets."

"Bullcrap," Lindsay whispered. "We both have plenty of regrets but I'm not prepared for that walk down memory lane. It just became clear to me how you always know when to step back, to give Justin space."

"I'm not as egotistical as my reputation reports me to be."

"I see that now. That's why I owe you the apology. You've always done that, stepped back to let one of us shine. I just don't understand what took me so long to realize it."

"You probably had other things going on in your pretty blond head," Brian snarked with a smirk and an arched brow.

"Asshole," Lindsay griped with a smile. And left it at that. She had blown Brian's cover and that was enough for her. She wouldn't bring up the subject again, she didn't have to; the point was made.

"Mrs. Peele, you're needed," Brian said as he pointed his glass toward a rather wealthy art maven who was currently drooling over a JT masterpiece. "Go reel him in," he said to her with a gentle nudge. Lindsay rolled her eyes but left Brian's side to do just that.

Hours later when all the guests had left, it was Brian, Justin, Lindsay and Charles, who had flown in for the occasion, celebrating another successful opening in Lindsay's office.

"So did we make millions? I'm retired now. I'm beginning to enjoy being a kept man," Brian gleefully asked as he rubbed his hands together.

"Asshole," Justin grumbled as he ribbed his partner with an elbow. Brian ‘oofed' in mock pain making Lindsay and Charles laugh.

"We did well. I'll have the numbers for you tomorrow, Justin," Lindsay said. Justin nodded. The money was nice but living his dream was more important to him.

They discussed business. Charles wanted to bring the exhibition to London so they spoke of potential dates. There were several self-portraits, portraits of Brian and of the couple, that Charles was trying to convince Justin to include in the London show.

"I'll think about it," Justin promised.

"Come on, Sunshine, it's time to go home. I need my beauty sleep," Brian teased as he tossed the Corvette keys to his partner. Justin snatched the keys out of the air with an all knowing smile. At sixty plus, Brian was still one of the sexiest men on the planet.

"Let's go, old man," Justin teased back as he took Brian's hand to lead the man out.

While Lindsay started locking up and setting the alarms, Charles took a moment to stand in front the portrait of Brian and Justin in which they assumed the pose of JABKinney and Patrick.

"Striking couple, aren't they," Lindsay stated.

"Yes they are and something more that I can't quite put my finger on," Charles commented.

"Perhaps the word you're looking for is quintessential?"

"Yes, yes! That's the word. Quintessential. Brian and Justin are the quintessential couple," Charles agreed. 

That being said, Lindsay and Charles left the gallery.

S is for Scrunch by Sabina

Brian shook his head at some guy who had just given him the eye while Brian was nursing a beer. He'd been shaking his head the whole night. There wasn't anyone even remotely passable to fuck at Babylon that night. He had them all at one point and everyone knew that Brian Kinney never did repeats.

Well, almost never, there was just one. A certain little blond who wiggled his way into Brian's life and hadn't left. But the blond was currently occupied, doing a bump and grind with some musclebound no neck trick. The trick thought he had hit the lottery. The blond was the hottest guy in the club, except for Brian, of course.

Brian did a shot of Beam as he contemplated going home. He had no reason to stick around. He considered going to the baths but even that held little appeal for him. Brian slammed down his shot glass and prepared to leave.

"Hey," the little blond greeted Brian as he stepped up to the bar to order a drink. Brian motioned to the bartender to give the kid a bottle of water. "Can I have what you're drinking?" Brian gazed down at the prettiest and largest blue eyes he had ever seen.

"No, you can't. Water first then maybe later I'll get you a beer." The kid seemed momentarily disappointed then he beamed a smile, suddenly aware of something. "Okay, thanks," he graciously accepted the water.

The kid turned to face the dance floor as he sipped his water. "Can you do that?" he asked pointing toward the dancing with his water bottle.

"Yeah, why?"

The kid shrugged his shoulders giving Brian a little pout then looking up at him through his long eyelashes. Brian rolled his eyes and held out his hand. The blond beamed a smile brighter than Brian had ever seen. The kid finished off his water then took Brian's hand to lead the taller man out onto the floor.

Brian began to awkwardly dance, trying to keep in time with the beat and with his partner. The blond exhibited a natural rhythm but their height difference only served to exaggerate Brian's limited dance prowess. The blond didn't care but Brian did. Brian then had a thought.

Pulling the kid in close, Brian scrunched down, canceling out their height differences and aligning their groins. The blond stopped dancing for less than a second when he realized what Brian had done. His smile lit up the club. Brian instantly felt a zing course through him beginning in his cock. He smirked, held the kid closer then let the music and the blond take him away.

*****

"Brian, what are you doing?" Justin asked, laughing as Brian grabbed him in their kitchen then proceeded to dance them around the loft.

"What does it look like I'm doing? We're dancing," Brian explained.

"Oh, is that what you call it," Justin teased as he held Brian tighter. "Not one of your best talents," Justin said with a little nip to Brian's chin to dismiss the insult.

"I have many other talents," Brian boasted as he scrunched down, pressing himself into Justin's groin, allowing Justin to feel his intentions.

"I'm cooking," Justin stated.

"You certainly are," Brian responded. Justin laughed as Brian danced them toward the stove turning off the burners. "Dinner can wait," Brian whispered into Justin's ear as they danced their way to the bedroom where Brian demonstrated to his little blond his best talents. Just as he'd been doing for years.

 

 

U is for Umbrella by Sabina

 "What?" Brian growled out as he and Justin strolled along Liberty Ave. Brian could feel Justin's eyes on him as they walked.

"Nothing," Justin said quickly.

"Hmm," Brian harrumphed. 

As they strolled further along, Justin peeked up through his lashes at Brian.

"What?" Brian asked again.

"What what?" Justin teased.

"You know you can be very annoying," Brian said with a scowl.

"So I have been told," Justin replied unrepentant. Justin stifled a giggle as they continued up the avenue; Brian was becoming more bristly.

"Justin Taylor, I swear to the gods that I will turn you over my knee as soon as we're home," Brian said with a stern voice and narrowed eyes.

"Promise?" Justin asked. His face was suddenly flushed and sporting a mischievous smile. Brian shook his head as he rolled his eyes.

"I'm serious Justin, what's up with you?" Justin heard the serious tone in Brian's voice and knew he had reached the limits of his patience. Justin gave Brian a genuine smile.

"It's nothing Brian." Brian frowned. "Really. It's just..." Justin stopped walking, then turned to face the taller man. Brian's face softened as he looked deeply into the ocean blue eyes that had darkened under the shade of their huge umbrella.

Brian lifted Justin's chin with a finger then bent to kiss the full lips. He gently savored the taste of Justin's tender lips. Their kiss deepened, hidden from view by the canopy of their umbrella.

"I love you," Brian whispered as he hugged Justin closer. Justin beamed a smile that rivaled the sun that Brian was protecting Justin from with his oversized umbrella. "Let's go home," Brian said as he snaked his arm across Justin's shoulder. Justin slipped his arm around Brian's waist.

The lovers turned to leisurely stroll on Liberty Avenue back to the loft and shaded from the sun.

 


V is for Victor by Sabina

 Debbie leaned on her brother's headstone as she reached down to brush away the debris from the grave. She placed a small bouquet in the vase then said a prayer. She asked her brother to forgive her and the family for not visiting as often as they did when Vic first passed, but Deb came as often as she could. She rationalized to herself that the family was busy. Michael had his business to attend to. Ben, of course was teaching or writing and Hunter had his studies. Debbie never forgot Vic's birthday or the anniversary of his death. But after a few years she preferred to celebrate his life rather than mourn Vic's passing.

Deb said a few more prayers before straightening up preparing to leave. She noticed Brian standing off to the side.

"Hey, kiddo, what are you doing here?" Brian arched a brow as he nodded toward the grave. "I didn't know you visited Vic," Deb said, slightly surprised. Brian shrugged his shoulders.

Brian placed a bunch of flowers on the grave then closed his eyes. After a minute he opened his eyes then offered his arm to Debbie. Silently he walked Deb back to her car.

"Thank you, sweetheart," Debbie said as she reached up on her toes to kiss Brian's cheek before getting into her car. She then watched Brian walk to his ‘vette and drive away.

"He turned out all right, Vic, the best of the bunch. Rest easy, my dear sweet brother and I'll come back soon," Deb whispered before she drove away.  

W is for Wrestling by Sabina

"Yes!" Justin cheered, popcorn flying everywhere as he was watching the wrestling match.

"Sunshine," Brian began deceptively soft. "What the fuck are you doing?!" he shouted. "We'll be vacuuming up that shit for days."

"I'm watching Saturday Night Raw," Justin replied unrepentant and unimpressed by Brian's posturing.

"Raw what?"

"Wrestling, Brian, wrestling. Get your head out of your dick."

"Never happening, lucky for you. So explain this Raw shit," Brian asked as he sat next to Justin and took control of the popcorn before more of it landed on his expensive sofa and equally expensive woven area rug.

A couple of hours, one more bowl of popcorn and several beers later the boys turned off the TV, cleaned up and prepared for bed.

"So, Sunshine, want me to show you some of my raw moves?" Brian asked with a waggle of his eyebrows as he stepped out of the bathroom toweling himself off from his quick shower.

Justin pounced then wrestled Brian into bed.

X is for Xylophone by Sabina

Eight year old Gus was spending a few weeks in Pittsburgh visiting his dad and his Justin.  Brian and Justin had planned time off but of course last minute changes in a critical ad campaign and the opportunity for Justin to enter a few paintings in a show threw a large monkey wrench into their plans.  Justin had to be away for a few days and Brian needed to work through the weekend.  Debbie had brought over a casserole to the loft just when Brian got the panic call from Cynthia.

"I'll take him home with me," Debbie volunteered.

"Yay!" Gus cheered as he threw his arms around his Grandma Deb.

"Are you sure?" Brian asked feeling more than a little guilty.  He really had planned a work free vacation to spend exclusively with his son.  "It'll only be for the weekend.  The final presentation is Monday morning."

"Brian, sweetheart, I'm not so old that I don't remember how to take care of a little boy.  It's not like he's a baby.  We'll be fine."

"I'll be good, Daddy, I promise," Gus pledged. 

Brian saw the sincerity in his son's eyes. "All right, let's go pack you a bag," Brian said as hand in hand the Kinney boys walked into the alcove.

*****

"Whatcha watchin', Grandma?" Gus asked as he climbed up into Debbie's lap.  After Gus' favorite dinner of mac and cheese and hot dogs, Deb, Carl and Gus sat together on the sofa to watch TV. 

"This is The Lawrence Welk Show," Debbie explained.  "When I was a little girl we watched this show every Sunday night."

"You had TV back in the olden days, Grandma?" Gus asked with awe.  He wasn't quite sure what to make of the program which happened to be in black and white.  Debbie frowned as Carl snickered.

"Yes, we did," Debbie sighed.  "It was invented just after the dinosaurs died out," she snarked.  Before she had to explain the concept of TV without color, the next performer took the stage.  Lawrence Welk introduced Jack Imel and his xylophone solo.  The instrument was so large it took up half the stage.

"What's that?" Gus asked.

"A xylophone."

"A whataphone?"

"Xy-lo-phone," Debbie slowly pronounced.  Gus carefully repeated the word several times until he got it.  The music it produced seemed to fascinate the young man, so with Carl's help they booted up their computer to do some research on the xylophone.

"Do you think I can learn how to play the xylophone?" Gus asked with all the innocent wonder and hope a child could muster.

"I don't see why not.  In fact I bet we still have one," Deb said.

"You have a xy-lo-phone?" Gus asked in disbelief.

"Well, not a big one, but I'll let you in on a secret.  Your Uncle Michael wanted to play the xylophone when he was just about your age.  The school let me have one made for kids.  And I think it's still in the basement," Deb said as she pushed Gus off her lap then disappeared downstairs. 

Carl and Gus heard a lot of noise for several minutes, not to mention a few bad words, and then a loud screech of satisfaction.  A few moments later, Deb was back holding an old canvas bag.  Placing the bag on the coffee table, the three of them explored its contents.

*****

"What the fuck is that?" Brian cursed to himself as he came home to the loft Monday evening.  With his campaign contract finalized, Brian's vacation was back on schedule.  Brian followed the noise to the alcove where Gus was entertaining Justin with his new xylophone.

"Daddy!" Gus shouted when he saw his father.  "Look what I have!" Gus proudly announced.  "It's called a xy-lo-phone," Gus stated.

"Is that what it is?" Brian said hiding a grimace.  "And where did you get it?" he asked as he gave his son a kiss on the head then properly greeted his partner.

"It was Uncle Mikey's but Grandma Deb said I can have it," Gus explained.

"Uh huh.  You must remind me to thank her," Brian said as he began to plot his revenge.  Gus went back to giving his concert which really wasn't as bad as Brian thought it would be.

Several hours later the exhausted musician was fast asleep; his trusty xylophone next to him.

"What are we going to do with that thing?" Brian asked Justin as they lay together in bed.

"We could throw it out," Justin suggested.

"And tell Gus what, that the xylophone fairy took it away and left him a few bucks.  I don't think so."

"We could get him lessons while he's here," Justin said trying to be helpful.

"Great," Brian snarked.

"And of course when Gus goes back home, his instrument will have to go with him," Justin said with an innocent smile. 

Brian smirked. "You're so smart," he said.

"Yup," Justin agreed as they snuggled close together.

"I wonder where I can get a good xy-lo-phone teacher," Brian murmured.

Justin giggled.

Y is for Yellow by Sabina

Brian considered himself an intelligent man, a culturally aware man, someone up to date on current trends. After all, he and Kinnetik were responsible for several of those trends. Since he hooked up with an artist, Brian made sure he could talk the talk regarding the classics as well as popular art. In other words when it came to abstract art Brian usually got it.

Except for now.

He had been studying a particular piece for over twenty minutes and for the life of him he couldn't understand it. The problem was that Justin painted it. Even worse, it bore the mark of the artist's own collection. Justin wasn't selling it. That meant eventually it was coming home so it was very important to Brian that he get it.

The painting was lovely with bright swirls of color, predominantly one color. It didn't need special lighting, the painting shined all by itself. 

Brian was about to throw in the towel. He turned to go find Justin. Justin was amidst a crowd of patrons with deep pockets and well wishers when their eyes met for a brief second. Justin smiled his brightest, the one reserved for Brian. Brian couldn't help but smile back. His one genuine smile reserved for Justin and Gus. And that's when Brian got it.

He quickly turned back to face the painting then back again towards Justin. Justin's smile became impossibly brighter just like his nickname, just like the sun and just like the yellow swirls of paint.

Brian smiled again, nodding with satisfaction as he did. Brian then went to go find his Sunshine.  

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=500