Druid II by Thyme
Summary:

Continuation of Druid - a few months later.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Prostitution
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: Druid Series
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 25661 Read: 23215 Published: Dec 06, 2016 Updated: Dec 06, 2016
Story Notes:

Banner by the awesome foreverbm.

1. Chapter 1 by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 by Thyme

Chapter 1 by Thyme



 

Druid II

Chapter 1


“Brian, I finished the boards for the…” Justin stopped when he saw Brian raise his hand. He could see that Brian was on the phone with someone.

“Okay, I’ll see you day after tomorrow.” Brian set the phone back in the cradle.

“Who was that?” Justin asked.

“Thierry Desmarais. He’s coming to Dublin tomorrow, and he wants to talk to me about … advertising.”

“Advertising?” Justin asked with a quizzical look. Justin knew the name Thierry. He had been one of Brian’s clients when Druid, as Brian had called himself back then, was working at the quoin. Justin was never happy when one of Brian’s former clients turned up. This one in particular bothered Justin. Thierry had been a friend of Brendan Reilly’s, the man who had sold this advertising agency to Brian, who had left his townhouse to Brian when he died, and the man who had sent Thierry to become a client of Brian’s at the quoin. Justin did not associate Thierry with advertising or their future. He was someone from Brian’s past, someone better forgotten. At least that was Justin’s opinion.

“He’s decided that he’s not happy with his advertising firm,” Brian said.

“And he wants you.”

The way Justin said wants was not lost on Brian. “He wants to talk to me about possibly bringing his advertising account to our company. We can always use new clients,” Brian said reasonably.

“We’re doing okay,” Justin replied. The company they had taken over from Brendan was prospering. It had been almost six months since Brendan’s death, and they had managed to turn the company around. It wasn’t exactly doing great, but it was heading in that direction.

“When has okay ever been enough for me?” Brian asked.

“Brian, it’s just…”

“I’m not going to let anything happen with Thierry, Justin,” Brian declared solemnly. “Nothing ever did happen between us. Thierry was just another client.”

“I would hope nothing would happen, but do we need…”

“Thierry has a chain of shoe stores in France. He said he’s thinking about expanding into England and maybe Ireland. This could be a big account.”

Justin shook his head. He knew he was being silly, jealous, unreasonable, all the things he had vowed he would never be. He knew all about Brian’s past at the quoin, but he still didn’t like it when that past crept into their present.

“It’s a business meeting,” Brian repeated.

“Yeah, okay, I understand,” Justin said, but his tone of voice and body posture said that he didn’t understand … or approve.

Brian got up from his desk and walked around to where Justin stood. “It will be fine. Stop worrying.”

“I wish I could.”

Brian pulled Justin into a warm hug. “I won’t let anything happen.”

Justin nodded against Brian’s chest. He had a bad feeling about this.



*****



“You done for the day?” Justin asked as he entered Brian’s office. It was almost seven and he was beat. He didn’t know how Brian could work such long hours. But then, that was Brian. He was totally determined to make a success of Triskele Advertising, as they had renamed Brendan’s company. They had decided to rename the company after a few months of ownership. They didn’t want to forget Brendan, but they both thought the company needed a new image and a new direction.

When they had been contemplating different names, Justin had pushed Brian’s bracelet aside one night after they had fucked themselves into a sated haze. Justin had stared at the tattoo on Brian’s wrist – the triskele. Brian saw each leg of the triskele as representing one of the three phases of his life – his past, present and future. The next day Justin had researched triskele on the internet, where he had found that the ancient Celtic symbol had many possible interpretations. One in particular had caught his eye. It said the triskele was related to the sun, afterlife and reincarnation.

Both Justin and Brian saw the advertising company as Brian’s rebirth into a more normal life than he had ever had until he turned thirty. It was the reincarnation of Druid as the true Brian Kinney. In advertising they could use the idea of reincarnation to mean a new approach for the company they were working with. And the fact that Brian occasionally called Justin “sunshine” was an added bonus. It linked them together through the company. Not that they needed linking in that way. They did plenty of linking at home. Justin smiled to himself as these thoughts ran through his mind.

“Justin, I said I’m ready. Are you coming?” Brian asked. This was the second time that Brian had asked that question. He had been standing by the door for more than a minute waiting for Justin to come with him. He wondered what had Justin so preoccupied. Then it dawned on him that Justin was probably still brooding about Brian’s upcoming meeting with Thierry Desmarais the next day.

“I’m ready,” Justin said finally.

“About time. Where were you?”

“Um, just thinking,” Justin replied. He didn’t really want to explain that he had been thinking about Brian’s reincarnation as an ad exec.

Brian gave him a look, but decided not to pursue the topic of Thierry Desmarais. They walked out of the building, locking the office behind them.

When they arrived at what had been Brendan Reilly’s townhouse, now theirs, they parked the Renault they had purchased together and headed into the house. They couldn’t believe that Brendan had left them the gorgeous Georgian townhouse in his will. He truly had been a great friend to Brian, and then to Justin, as they had come to know each other in the all too short time before Brendan’s death.

“Good evening, Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor,” Mrs. Hopkins said in her very formal manner. She had been the housekeeper for Brendan. Brian and Justin had decided to keep her on when they learned that she had no other income or prospect for a job, aside from the generous amount that Brendan had left her. She lived in a small apartment off the kitchen in the townhouse. If they had let her go, she would have lost both her job and her home. It had meant they had to be very careful with their finances, but she was a gem, keeping the house immaculate and the larder stocked. She also cooked for them and usually managed to have an evening meal ready when they arrived home. “Dinner’s in the oven,” she said. “I think I’ll retire to my rooms unless you need anything else.

“Nothing at the moment,” Brian replied. They’d come to this agreement with Mrs. Hopkins where she would greet them when they came home from work and then disappear. Both men liked eating informally in the kitchen and they liked to do so alone. That way they could talk frankly without worrying about how their words might affect Mrs. Hopkins.

“Then I’ll say goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” they both said as she headed for her room.

“I wonder what she made us tonight,” Justin asked.

“It will be good whatever it is,” Brian replied as they headed for the kitchen. Mrs. Hopkins’ cooking could not be faulted.
Justin dished up the pork chops with roasted potatoes and vegetables. They sat down at the small table in a corner of the kitchen.

“You know…” Brian said after he took a few mouthfuls of the food.

“What?” Justin asked as he chewed on some pork chop.

“What do you think about asking Quinn and Pats and Maggie up here for our next get together?” Brian put the idea out to his partner.

Justin smiled. They hadn’t done any entertaining since they had got the advertising company and the townhouse. They had both been so busy with the business and Justin with his schooling. It would be nice for Brian to see his old friends again. They had promised to keep in touch. Really the only one who did keep in touch was Pats, who was like a sister to Brian, and she was Justin’s cousin.

“I think that’s a great idea, but would they want to come all this way?” Justin speculated.

“It’s not so far, but Maggie might have trouble leaving the pub.”

“Maybe her husband could run it for the night and she could come up with Pats or Quinn.”

“That might work,” Brian said with a sly smile.

“We can show them all what a success you’ve become.”

Brian glanced up at Justin. It always made him feel good when someone, especially Justin, thought he was making a success of his life. He had lived for so many years, finding his identity in his sexual prowess. No one, not even Justin, knew how hard and how scary it had been for him to change his life completely. Hearing that he had done so made Brian feel like a million dollars. He thought having the get together with his old friends at their home was a great idea. He’d get to work on it right away.

“What do you think about having this shindig on the weekend?”

“You mean this weekend?” Justin asked. Brian nodded. “Isn’t that kind of short notice?”

“Yeah, but we have nothing planned for the weekend and it’s supposed to be nice weather.”

“When did you become a weather reporter,” Justin asked with a smile.

“Has your mother made any decisions about when she might come visit us?” Brian asked, changing the subject. He didn’t want Justin to know that he already the invitations prepared to be sent out for the coming weekend.
Justin shook his head. They had sent Jennifer money for airline tickets at Christmas, hoping she and Justin’s sister Molly would come for the holiday. That had not happened. Justin had been very disappointed. Mrs. Taylor had made excuses about Molly having commitments through her school, but Brian suspected that Justin’s mother did not approve of her son’s choice to stay in Ireland.

“She’s trying to organize things to come in a few weeks. It will be spring break for Molly,” Justin explained.

“That would be nice,” Brian said unenthusiastically. He certainly had the feeling that Mrs. Taylor didn’t approve of him, and he knew for sure that Mr. Taylor didn’t. Maybe she was stalling coming to see Justin because she’d also have to see Brian.

“Yeah, I hope they come. I miss both of them.”

“Would you like to go to Primavera tomorrow tonight … or tonight?” Brian asked out of the blue.

“Clubbing?” Justin was surprised. They had done little else than work and fuck for the last many months as they tried to get Brendan’s business back on solid footing.

“Yes, clubbing. You know that place with the dim lights and the sparkly mirror ball and mostly naked men who gyrate against each other until they get all hot and sweaty and …”

“Yeah, I know what clubbing is,” Justin chuckled. “I’m just surprised that you’re suggesting it.”

“I am too.”

Justin looked into Brian’s eyes. “Then why…?”

Brian shrugged. “We haven’t done anything but work for months. I just thought you might enjoy it.”

A little smile tugged at the corners of Justin’s mouth. “I think I might.”

“Then let’s get ready and go.”

“You mean it?”

Brian nodded again. He did mean it. It would be good for both of them to have some time outside of work. Dancing and drinking would be fun.

Justin finished off his pork chop and stood up. He walked around the table and leaned down to kiss Brian gently on the lips.

“What was that for?” Brian asked when Justin ended the kiss.

“For being you.”

“Shit! If all I have to do is be me then let’s just go to bed.”

Justin swatted him and Brian laughed. “You better be kidding,” Justin warned.

“Yes, Sunshine, I’m kidding. I … want you to be happy. Do you want to go to Primavera? We don’t have to go if you’re too tired.”

Justin smiled a smile that radiated sunshine just as Brian had nicknamed him. “You know, I am kind of tired, now that I think about it. Maybe we should have an early night and go to Primavera tomorrow.” He winked at Brian.

“Sounds good to me,” Brian said as he got up from the table and loaded his dishes into the dishwasher. He was already planning what he wanted to do to Justin once they were in bed.



*****



The following day passed uneventfully at work. Brian got his receptionist to send out the invitations to his friends for the get together in Dublin. He really hoped they’d all come.

Once work was over, they headed home, had Mrs. Hopkins delicious dinner and got ready to go clubbing.

Primavera hadn’t changed much since the last time they were there. The music was loud and throbbing, but that was the way they liked it. The men were mostly young and half naked, but that was the way they liked it. They put on their usual show in the middle of the dance floor, and that seemed to be the way all the other men liked it.

Sweating and somewhat aroused they made their way to the bar after a few dances. Brian indicated that he wanted two beers. Once their order was filled they leaned against the bar and surveyed the dance floor.

“I think we still have it,” Justin said.

Brian snorted almost choking on his beer. “You thought you’d lose it after a few months?” he asked cocking his eyebrow and chuckling at Justin.

“I meant you,” Justin said keeping his face straight.

“Not too bad for an over-the-hill quoin boy,” Brian said as one of the young men walked past him and made it very clear the Brian was welcome to follow him to the restrooms or the backroom or anywhere.

“Mr. Over-The-Hill-Quoin-Boy, you are mighty fine. But, you’re also mine, so behave yourself while I use the restroom,” Justin instructed. He gave Brian a kiss on the lips before leaving the bar.

Brian watched the mighty fine bottom of his partner disappear into the crowd before he felt a bump to his shoulder. He turned to see a dark haired young man whom he knew had been eyeing him on the dance floor.

“Now that he’s gone…” the young man said.

Brian shook his head. However, that didn’t seem to be much of a deterrent to the dark haired beauty.

“I’m Liam.”

“Good for you,” Brian said sarcastically.

Again undeterred by that response, Liam continued, “I haven’t seen you here before.” Brian remained silent but signaled the bartender for another beer. “I think we could have a really good time together.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked taking the new beer from the bartender but not turning to look at the persistent young man.

“I’m game for anything,” Liam told this good looking older man.

“I have the only game I want,” Brian said again refusing to make eye contact.

“That blond! He doesn’t look like much.”

“I’d be very careful what you say about him,” Brian said with a definite edge to his voice. He stood up and turned to glare at the nuisance who was bothering him. “Very careful!” Brian repeated more forcefully.

“Sure, man, no problem,” Liam began to backtrack. “I just thought you might want something better.”

Brian felt his fist ball up. “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll walk away right now.”

“I can’t believe he’s better than me. He looks like a dumb kid. Nobody’s better…” That was as far as he got as Brian’s fist connected with his jaw. Liam stumbled backwards, but didn’t fall.

“Hey!” the bartender interrupted. “Take the fighting outside.”

“There’s no fighting, is there?” Brian asked Liam with a glare.

Liam shook his head and rubbed his jaw. “Nothing worth fighting for here,” he added before walking away.

Brian felt the throb in his knuckles as soon as Liam disappeared. He supposed that it was the adrenalin wearing off. Brian felt himself shiver. He had vowed never to hit anyone, but he couldn’t just stand there and let this Liam bad mouth Justin. He brought his knuckles up to see what he had done. One was skinned and they ached like crazy. He stuck the raw one in his mouth hoping that would help. It didn’t.

“Here,” the bartender said. He handed Brian a plastic bag with a few ice cubes in it.

“Thanks,” Brian said placing it over his bruised knuckles.

“That Liam’s a pain in my ass,” the bartender explained. “It was nice to see someone put him in his place.”

“Tell that to my knuckles tomorrow,” Brian said ruefully. The ice was helping a bit, but they still hurt.

The bartender gave Brian a grin before he moved away to serve another customer. Just then Brian could feel his cell phone vibrating in his jeans pocket.



*****



Justin came out of the restroom fending off some dark haired guy who had come in some time after he did. He was putting cold water on his face. The blossoming dark area on the man’s chin made Justin realize that someone had probably punched him. Justin had made the mistake of asking if he could help. Now he couldn’t get rid of the stupid ass.

“Look, buddy,” Justin said as he turned to find the guy following him. “I really suggest you take off. My boyfriend isn’t going to like it that you’re following me around.”

“What will he do? Punch me?” the guy asked sarcastically. He knew exactly who the boyfriend was. If he couldn’t have one, he’d have the other.

“Brian would never punch anyone.”

“Is that right?” Liam asked rubbing his sore jaw.

“Yeah, that’s right, but he’ll have you thrown out of here,” Justin averred.

“Fuck the both of you!” Liam reacted, realizing that he wasn’t getting anywhere with this one either. “There’s better fish in the sea.” He walked away knowing that if he pushed too hard, he would be tossed out of the club. The bartender didn’t like him.

Justin breathed a sigh of relief. He walked across the dance floor towards the bar. He could see Brian talking on his cell phone. He wondered who he was talking to.

“Okay,” Brian said snapping his phone shut and shoving it in his pocket. That action hurt like hell as his sore knuckles came into contact with the fabric of his pocket. He grimaced, but put on a brave face as he felt Justin’s hand on his back. “Did you decide to come back?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow.

“I wasn’t gone that long,” Justin said not wanting to explain about the dark haired annoyance that he had been dealing with.

“Let’s get out of here,” Brian said. He had set the ice bag on the bar while he took the phone call. It was still laying there, and he didn’t want to have to explain what he had been doing while Justin was in the restroom.

“Sure,” Justin agreed. They headed outside.

“I’m going back to Triskele for an hour or so,” Brian said as he watched Justin get in a cab.

“What? Why?” Justin asked as Brian closed the taxi door on him.

“That was the account manager for Morton Foods on the phone. They have a new idea of what they want to see tomorrow. I’m going to work on it for a bit. I had a brainwave.”

“But…” Justin said. This was weird. Why would the Morton manager be calling Brian at this time of night? “I could come with you,” Justin volunteered.

“No, you get some sleep. I’ll be home in an hour or two,” Brian stated. Justin’s cab pulled away, as Brian climbed into the next one in line and gave the driver an address.

Chapter 2 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 2



Justin awoke with a start. As he opened his eyes, he realized that there was light coming in around the closed drapes of the bedroom. He had had trouble getting to sleep. The last time he looked at the clock it had been almost two in the morning, and Brian hadn’t come home yet. Justin turned his head and noted with a feeling of relief that Brian was sleeping beside him. He checked the clock seeing that it was just after seven. They didn’t have to get up for a few more minutes.

Turning slightly, Justin studied the face of the man he loved. Brian had been so strange the day before … ever since that call from Thierry Desmarais, Justin realized. Brian had talked about having a party, inviting all his old friends to Dublin for a get together. Brian had never suggested anything like that before. Then he had asked about Justin’s mother coming for a visit. Usually Brian carefully avoided mention of Jennifer and Molly. Justin had always thought Brian did that so as not to upset him. But this time Brian had been the one to bring up the subject of a possible visit.

And then there was the whole clubbing excursion. They hadn’t been to Primavera since Brendan’s death. It was strange that Brian had suggested it. And then the end of the evening had been the most peculiar of all. Brian had sent Justin home in a cab while he went back to the office to work on a supposed new idea for today’s presentation of the Morton account. Brian had never done that before. He could have worked on an idea on his laptop at home, or he could have had Justin sketch some ideas, but instead he had insisted on going back to the office … alone. Justin frowned wondering what had caused Brian to do that.

“Have you figured it out yet?” Brian asked.

Justin jumped and clutched at the sheet. “Fuck, I wish you wouldn’t do that,” he said looking into Brian’s eyes as they opened.

“It’s just one of my many talents.”

Justin shook his head. “You scared the shit out of me.”

“What were you thinking about?” Brian repeated. He hadn’t liked the look on Justin’s face when he had peeked from under his eyelids.

“I was trying to figure out why you sent me home last night and went to the office by yourself.”

“I told you.”

“You told me bullshit,” Justin said with accusation written all over his face.

“I don’t do bullshit.”

“Liar! What the fuck is advertising, if it’s not bullshit.”

“Point taken,” Brian admitted looking into Justin’s eyes for a fraction of a second.

“So, what were you doing?”

“Working on the campaign for this morning,” Brian persisted, as he threw back the covers and prepared to get up.

“Don’t lie to me, Brian.”

“I don’t lie,” Brian declared but he was already in the bathroom out of Justin’s sight.

Justin flopped back onto the pillows. He knew Brian wasn’t telling him the whole story. He’d fucking see if there were any differences in the Morton account ads when he got to the office. He knew there wouldn’t be. He wondered what Brian’s excuse for that would be.

“Shit!” Justin mumbled to himself. He hated when they weren’t being honest with each other. But he couldn’t make Brian tell him the truth if he didn’t want to. With a heavy sigh Justin threw back his covers and got up too.



*****



“They loved the presentation, Sunshine,” Brian said happily. He grabbed Justin around the waist and pulled him in for a big smacker of a kiss. “They’ll be signing the contract as soon as we send the final draft to them.”

“Yeah, that’s great.”

“You don’t sound very happy about it,” Brian observed as he released his partner from his hold.

“I’m glad we got the account,” Justin said carefully. “It’s a lot more revenue for the firm.”

“Then what the fuck is eating at you?” Brian demanded. “You’d think we lost the fucking account.”

Justin considered whether he should broach the subject that was bothering him. He knew it would probably lead to an argument. But Brian had asked…

“I didn’t notice any changes in the boards or slogans for the Morton account,” Justin said keeping his voice level.

“The idea I thought would work turned out to be for shit. I scrapped it.”

“I see.”

Brian sensed there was more to what Justin was seeing than his comment indicated. However, Brian didn’t want to have to explain what he had been doing last night, so he said no more.

“What time is Thierry supposed to be here?” Justin asked doing his best not to make a face.

“Two p.m.”

“How convenient!” Justin reacted. “I have to leave for my course at 1:30.” Justin had enrolled in the best art school in Dublin. He took a couple of courses each semester, that schedule allowing him time to work at the ad agency when he was needed.

“Justin…”

“Don’t bother,” Justin replied. “I don’t want to hear that he means nothing to you. It will be what it will be.”

“It will be nothing,” Brian contended.

“How can you know that?”

“I know,” Brian said definitively.

Justin looked at his partner. Brian seemed so definite that this meeting with Thierry Desmarais was only about advertising. Justin decided that maybe he was overreacting.

“Do you want to grab some lunch with me before I go to the art college?” Justin asked.

“Um, sure,” Brian replied.

Justin didn’t like the uncertainty in Brian’s voice. He’d make fucking sure that Brian got back in time from lunch for Thierry’s fucking meeting. “I have to grab my portfolio,” Justin said knowing he would have to catch a bus right from lunch.

“Sure,” Brian replied and watched Justin leave his office.

“Jane,” Brian said into the intercom to his receptionist, “if Mr. Desmarais arrives before I get back from lunch, please bring him into my office and make him comfortable. See that he gets some coffee or wine or whatever he’d like.”

“Yes, Mr. Kinney,” Jane responded.

Brian set the phone down only to find Justin standing in the doorway of his office with his arms crossed on his chest. “We have to make sure that Thierry is happy,” Justin said derisively.

“He is a potential client.”

“And until he is a client, he’s just one of your former … clients,” Justin declared turning on his heel and heading out of Triskele Advertising.

“Justin, wait!” Brian called as he caught up with his partner outside of Triskele.

“Why don’t you just wait for Thierry? I can grab something to eat at school,” Justin said petulantly.

“I don’t want to wait for Thierry. I want to have lunch with you.”

“You sure didn’t act like it,” Justin accused.

“Why? Because I asked Jane to look after Thierry? You know I would do that for any client coming to Triskele.”

Justin stopped walking and turned to look at Brian. Was he being ridiculous? Brian was right about how he would handle a new client, especially if that client had to wait. “Do you really want to have lunch with me?”

“Would I be out here right now if I didn’t?” Brian asked.

Justin smiled just a little bit. “Okay,” he said, “then let’s go to the pub.” He reached out and took Brian’s hand in his, squeezing slightly.

“Ow!” Brian reacted.

“What?” Justin asked dropping Brian’s hand.

“I, um, I hurt my hand.”

“Hurt your hand? How?” Justin gently took hold of Brian’s hand and held it up so he could see. “What did you do?”

“I, um, was frustrated last night when my idea turned out to be a bust. I slammed my fist into the desk.” Brian hoped Justin would accept that explanation. He didn’t want to talk about his indiscretion at Primavera.

“How hard did you plow that desk?” Justin asked, noting the bruised knuckles, one of them split. “You should have a bandage on that one.” He pointed to the split knuckle.

“They’re fine,” Brian replied pulling his hand away. “Can we go to lunch now?’

“Sure,” Justin said regretting his former jealousy. He could believe that Brian had been at Triskele and had been so frustrated about his idea not working that he had actually injured himself as a result. “Brian, I’m sorry your idea was no good. Maybe if we worked on it together…”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Brian said quickly. “We got the account. And yes, we should work on things together. That’s when they turn out best.”

Justin gave him a blistering smile as they entered the pub and found a booth.

“I’m sorry, Brian,” Justin said after they had placed their order.

“Sorry? For what?’

“For being jealous,” Justin admitted sheepishly.

“You don’t need to be sorry. I’m quite flattered actually,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Asshole!”

“True, but a loveable asshole, you have to admit.”

“I don’t have to admit any such thing,” Justin averred. He took a sip of his beer that the waitress had just set down in front of him. “Just remember that you come home to me after work today.”

Brian grinned. “I thought I was picking you up at the art school?”

“You are, and we’re going home … together.”

“Is that an order?”

“Yes.”

“Justin, I don’t want anything from Thierry Desmarais … except his advertising business.”

“I believe you, Brian.”

Brian let out a long, slow breath. He wondered if he should say anything more. Then he decided that it was best to leave things on the good terms that they seemed to have arrived at. Thankfully their meals arrived at that moment.



*****



Justin washed up his brushes and rolled his shoulders to loosen his muscles. Sometimes when he got inspired, he painted until his muscles almost seized up. He had been inspired today.

He had decided to stay after class, having had a great idea for the assignment they were given during the lesson. He looked over to where his almost finished painting stood on its easel. He really liked what he had done with it.

“That looks great, Justin,” Maria said from across the room.

“How’s yours coming?” Justin asked.

“Not as good as yours, but it’s okay.”

“Let me see,” Justin said as he finished wiping his brushes and tossed the towel and brushes into his open portfolio. He walked across the space to where Maria stood at her easel. “Wow!” he said as he studied what she had done.

“You like it?” Maria asked shyly. She seemed pleased with Justin’s reaction.

“It’s … great, and so different from mine. It always amazes me how the teacher assigns everyone the same thing, and the results are all so different.”

The assignment had been to take something in the room they were in, and look at it from a different perspective. That was just specific enough, and yet vague enough, to make the results quite interesting. Most of the art students had taken the assignment quite literally. They showed people drawing or painting – some from overhead, some looking up from below, some with a painting on an easel but painting an abstract on the canvas in the picture, or painting the room on the picture on the easel.

Maria’s painting was of the sink where Justin had been washing his brushes. He liked the whimsical quality of the paint blotches on the sink. Maria had turned many of them into tiny pictures, showing flowers or a landscape or a portrait. Her painting wasn’t as finished as his was, but it would be wonderful when she completed it.

“That was an inspired idea,” Justin said honestly. He really admired Maria’s creativity. He wished he had thought of something like that.

Maria chuckled. “You like my paintings that are going down the drain?” she teased. “That’s what I’m going to call it Down the Drain.”

“Good title.”

“Thanks, but your painting is brilliant too. I love what you have between the easel’s legs.”

“I’m calling it Examining the Empty Spaces,” Justin said.

They both stared at Justin’s canvas. It showed three bold brown stripes like a huge tripod, dividing up the page. They were the easel’s legs. In each section of the painting, Justin had placed a different aspect of the room where their class was held. One section was the floor – wood with scuff marks and drips of paint that looked like small scenes much like what Maria had done. The middle section showed the scene outside the window of the studio they were in, but hazy and blurred like looking at it through the dirty old glass that kept the students from really seeing what was out there. One section was empty representing the idea yet to be found, but it had swirling mist in it waiting to be formed. The last section showed Brian’s face, the way Justin remembered him from breakfast that morning. Brian had been quiet and distracted, Justin remembered. He had loved the look of … uncertainty on Brian’s face. Brian was rarely uncertain about anything. In this case, it worked well in the painting. Brian looked like he was uncertain about why he was there, in between the legs of an easel.

“He creeps into a lot of your work, doesn’t he?” Maria said gently.

“Yeah, I love him so much.”

“The look on his face is perfect for this painting.”

Justin grinned. “I thought so too. I wanted to represent how imagination and memory come together to create something new and unique.”

“I think you did that perfectly.”

“Thanks, and yours will be brilliant when it’s done.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Maria said.

“You always underestimate yourself.”

“I guess I never think I’m good enough.”

“You’re way better than good,” Justin replied. “I better finish cleaning up. Brian should be here soon.”

“I’d like to meet this guy of yours one of these days,” Maria suggested.

“If he’s not in a hurry, maybe that could be today,” Justin said as he removed his canvas from the easel and slid it into the slot that had his name on it. It would be stored there until the next class.

“I’d like that,” Maria said as she did the same with her painting.

Justin placed his brushes in the slots in his portfolio and folded his towel. He was zipping up his portfolio when his cell phone rang.

“You’re lucky that thing didn’t go off during class,” Maria told him. “Professor Granger would skin you alive.”

Justin laughed. “I had it shut off till everybody left,” he said. “Hello, yep, I’m ready. I’ll be right down.” Justin flipped his phone shut. “That was Brian. He’s just pulling onto campus. Want to come meet him?”

“I’d love to, but I need to finish cleaning up.”

“Okay,” Justin said with a shrug. “Maybe next time.”

“Yeah, maybe next time,” Maria muttered as Justin disappeared out the door.

Chapter 3 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 3


“So, did anything interesting happen at Triskele while I was gone?” Justin asked as they drove home.

“Nothing to speak of.”

Justin waited hoping Brian would volunteer some information about Thierry Desmarais, and the meeting, but they drove in silence, Brian not adding to his statement.

“How was your meeting with Thierry?” Justin finally asked when he couldn’t stand the silence any longer.

“It didn’t happen.”

“What?”

“I said it didn’t happen.”

“But…”

“He was a no show, so all your worry was for naught.”

“My worry?”

I know you thought Thierry and I were going to get it on behind you back.” Brian glanced at Justin with an accusatory look. “So, you needn’t concern yourself. It looks like Thierry went back to France.”

“With no explanation?”

Brian shook his head slowly. “No explanation.”

“But, why would he do that?”

“Damned if I know.”

“Did you try to call him?”

“His cell phone goes to voicemail. He won’t pick up.”

“What about calling his hotel?” Justin asked wracking his brain to explain this about-face. He might not like the idea of Thierry Desmarais, but Brian had always seemed to respect the man.

“I tried the hotel. They said he hadn’t checked out, but there was no answer when they called his room.”

“Then why do you think he’s gone back to France?” Justin wanted to know. “Maybe he went out and got hung up with something.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Brian replied.

Justin could tell from the sarcastic tone of Brian’s voice that Brian didn’t think that for a moment. Justin couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to Thierry. “Maybe he’ll call tomorrow,” Justin suggested.

“And pigs will fly.”

“Okay then,” Justin said indicating that he was through with the topic.

“How was your day at art school, dear?” Brian asked in that sickly sweet voice he used sometimes.

“Just fine, sweetheart,” Justin replied, giving back what he had got.

“Anything interesting to report on that front?”

“I’m almost finished a new painting,” Justin said proudly. He felt himself smile in spite of being annoyed at Brian. His artistic side was kicking in, and he always felt good when he talked about his art.

“Am I in it?” Brian asked.

“As a matter of fact…”

Brian turned his head and smiled for the first time since Justin had got in the car. “You’re so predictable.”

“But what I do with that predictability is … awesome.”

Brian laughed out loud. “I’m happy to hear that, and I’m happy that you feel that great about your work.”

“I love this course, Brian,” Justin said so pleased that the topic of conversation had switched. “You’ll love the painting when you see it.”

“You know that, do you?”

“I do,” Justin responded confidently. “I wish Maria had half my confidence.”

“Who’s Maria?” Brian asked with a frown.

“I’ve mentioned her a few times. She’s in this class with me. She’s a really good artist, but she never thinks her work is any good.”

“And you’re trying to fix that.”

“I’d like to,” Justin averred.

“You always were a do-gooder.”

“I took you in, didn’t I?” Justin asked with a smirk that rivaled Brian’s.

Brian snorted. That was one of the things he loved about his partner – his wicked sense of humor.

“We’re home,” Brian noted as he parked the car.



*****



Mrs. Hopkins met them in the front hall. “You have messages,” she informed them.

“Oh?” Brian said. “I wonder if Thierry called here.”

“I don’t recall that name,” the housekeeper said. “These two are from your mother,” she told Justin.

“Really?” Justin asked as he took the two slips of paper that Mrs. Hopkins handed him. Justin scanned the messages quickly. “I should call her right now,” he said as he headed for the library to make the call.

“Are there any other messages?” Brian asked the housekeeper.

“No, but you have some letters,” Mrs. Hopkins replied handing him some envelopes. Mrs. Hopkins was nothing if not efficient. He looked at the mail allowing a smile to play at the corners of his lips as he saw the return addresses on them.

“If there’s nothing else, sir, I’ll retire for the evening. Your dinner is in the usual place.”

“Thanks,” Brian said still staring at the envelopes.

Mrs. Hopkins nodded and left the foyer.

Brian walked to the kitchen and sat down at the table. He ripped open the first envelope and read the note from Pats. She and Mick could come this weekend for a party. They would bring Little Mick if Brian wished. Brian felt the grin spread across his face. He’d love to see his nephew. He’d call Pats right away.

The next envelope was from Maggie. She said she could get away this weekend, but her husband wasn’t thrilled about being left on his own at the pub. Too bad, was her comment about that. Brian chuckled. Maggie went on to say that Pats had called her and volunteered a ride for Maggie. She had taken her up on that offer.

The third envelope was from Quinn. Brian knew that would be the most problematic. He ripped it open. Quinn wasn’t sure he could make it, since the weekends were the busiest days at the quoin, and often they were the ones when trouble might arise. He was looking at some ways of making the weekend work without him. He’d call Brian before the weekend to say if he’d be able to attend. He hoped he could manage to make it.

Brian flipped through the replies again. He did have good friends. It would be good to see them again on the weekend.

“Brian,” Justin said enthusiastically as he entered the kitchen. “Guess what?”

“Um…your mother is kicking your father out and taking up with a hot young thing.”

“Jesus, Brian!” Justin responded with his eyes wide. “Sometimes you say the most unbelievable and scary things.” He shuddered violently to punctuate his words.

“Um…sorry.”

“You don’t sound very sorry.”

Brian made a face. “So what’s got your tits in a twist?”

Justin burst out laughing. “You are so silly sometimes.”

“I know, and that’s why you love me,” Brian replied with a smug expression on his face.

“My mother and Molly are coming this weekend,” Justin said plopping his ample bottom on Brian’s lap and kissing his partner lustily.

“Th…this weekend?” Brian asked when Justin’s lips finally let him go.

“Yeah, is something wrong?” Justin leaned back so he could look into Brian’s eyes. His arms were still firmly wrapped around his partner’s neck.

“Um…no, I guess not.”

“Your words say one thing but your eyes are telling me something else,” Justin stated.

“It’s fine.”

“I thought you wanted my mother to come for a visit.”

“I wanted your mother to come for a visit because you wanted her to come for a visit,” Brian reminded his not so happy partner.

“So you don’t want her here?” Justin asked releasing Brian and standing up.

“I didn’t say that.”

“Then what are you saying?”

“You remember when I suggested we invite my friends for the weekend?” Brian began.

“Yeah, so?”

“Pats and Maggie are coming for sure this weekend, and probably Quinn if he can arrange it.”

“So?” Justin asked with a bewildered look on his face.

“But now your mother and Molly are coming this weekend?”

“I think it’s great that they’ll all be here,” Justin reacted.

“It is?”

“My mother and Molly will get to meet your friends,” Justin said happily.

‘And they can see how much she dislikes me,’ Brian thought to himself. “Oh yeah,” Brian said aloud. “But we’re going to be crowded if anyone wants to stay overnight.”

“Did they say they wanted to stay overnight?”

“No, but if we drink…”

“Oh, right.”

“So, it’s kind of not the best time,” Brian said lamely. He was not looking forward to a visit from Mother Taylor.

“But mom got a great deal on the tickets. She decided to pull Molly out of school before the spring break so she could take advantage of them.”

“We could send her some more money so she could come later,” Brian said hopefully.

“I’m beginning to think you don’t want my mother here at all,” Justin said in an accusatory tone.

“I want her to be here for you.”

“But not for you,” Justin persisted.

“I don’t think she likes me,” Brian admitted.

“She hasn’t even met you.”

“I hear it in her voice on the phone, and when you tell me how she reacted to something that I did.”

“Brian…”

“I think I’ll go take a shower,” Brian said, trying to avoid further discussion of this topic.

“But you haven’t had dinner.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Well, I am,” Justin said defiantly.

“Enjoy,” Brian threw over his shoulder as he walked out of the kitchen.

Justin bit his lip before walking over to the oven. He opened the door and looked in at the dinner that was drying up by the minute. He grabbed some potholders and pulled the meal from the oven. He knew he wasn’t really hungry anymore, but eating would give him something to do while he tried to figure out what to do about Brian and his mother. He wasn’t ready to face Brian. And he’d have to face his mother in a couple of days. He didn’t want to be on the outs with Brian when his mother arrived.

Grabbing a plate from the cupboard, Justin served up some of the vegetables and chicken. He carried it over to the table and sat down. With a sigh, he sliced off a piece of chicken and placed it in his mouth. He chewed slowly thinking about Brian’s reaction. The upcoming weekend was going to be tricky – all Brian’s friends together with Justin’s mother and sister. And Brian was in a right funk. Life was just peachy.

After a few bites of the usually delicious dinner that Mrs. Hopkins had prepared, Justin realized that it had somehow lost all its flavor. He dumped the rest of it in the garbage and stuck his plate in the sink. He drew in a deep breath and decided that it was time to face his partner.

Brian was lying on their bed wrapped in a towel. Justin came into the room and stopped at the end of the bed.

“Brian?” Justin said.

“Don’t start,” was the reply. Brian’s eyes studied the ceiling intently.

“I don’t want to start anything. I just want you to accept that my mother’s coming. I need to know that you’ll be nice to her. I haven’t seen her in almost a year.”

Brian slowly brought his eyes down to look at the man he had committed to. “I know this is important to you,” Brian stated. “I won’t do anything to screw it up, but…”

“But…?”

“What about your mother? I don’t know how I’ll react if she starts telling me I’m not good enough for her son.”

“Not good enough?”

“Yeah, you know how mothers can be.”

“My mother would never say such a thing,” Justin averred.

“She might not say it in words, but I’ll see it in her eyes.”

“Let me worry about my mother. I love you, and nothing’s going to change that.”

“Don’t be so sure.”

“I am sure,” Justin replied. He started taking off his clothes. “I’m very sure,” he continued.

Brian studied the young man disrobing in front of him. His life had changed so dramatically when he had met Justin Taylor. Everything was so different now, so good. Brian didn’t want all that to end.

“We can make this work,” Justin said as he slid naked onto the bed next to Brian.

“How do you figure that?”

“Mom and Molly can share a bedroom if some of the others want to stay. Quinn will probably go back to the quoin anyway. And Pats and her family can share a bedroom. That leaves Maggie with a room of her own.”

“And if Quinn decides to stay?”

“We could get him a hotel room, or he could sleep on the sofa in the library,” Justin suggested.

“He’d love that,” Brian said sarcastically.

“I’m just saying that we can make it work … if you want to.”

“So it’s all up to me?”

“Pretty much,” Justin said. He pulled the towel open from around Brian’s hips and his hand started to play in the pubic hair above Brian’s flaccid penis. “We can do this.”

“We can?”

“Yep.” Justin’s hand slid lower between Brian’s thighs finding the heavy sack hidden there. He played with Brian’s balls rolling them in his palm and tugging gently. He watched with fascination as Brian’s cock began to straighten and expand.

Brian looked down through hooded eyes. “You have the magic touch, me laddo,” he said. “Even when I’m not in the mood you can get me all worked up.”

“And that’s why you love me,” Justin grinned letting his hand run up and down the circumference of Brian’s burgeoning dick.

“I do love you, but…”

“But what?”

“Justin, you know I never had much chance to use social skills when I was at the quoin, especially the kind that your family is used to. I don’t think I’ll live up to your mother’s expectations of who you should be with.”

“You’re going to be just fine,” Justin promised with a soft kiss. “Now fuck me.”

“Is that an order?”

“Yes,” Justin whispered huskily.

Brian rolled atop his lover. He held Justin’s head between his hands and stared into the trusting blue eyes.

“I love you,” Justin murmured as he felt Brian’s dick rub against his own.

“I love you too,” Brian said, never meaning it more.

“Then everything will be all right,” Justin promised, as Brian grabbed the lube. He entered Justin in one swift thrust causing them both to gasp. It was going to be a fast and furious fuck, Justin knew immediately. But that was fine. It would reassure Brian, and any sexual encounter with the magnificent former Druid was to be relished.



*****



Brian lay awake long into the night. He watched Justin as he slept, knowing that his lover had tried to make him feel better about his mother’s imminent arrival. Too bad that hadn’t worked.

Chapter 4 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 4


Brian and Justin got through the next couple of days at work with only a little tension between them. Things seemed to have returned to normal, as normal as they were going to get until the weekend. Jennifer and Molly were arriving Saturday morning after an all night flight. Brian’s friends would be coming to the townhouse late in the afternoon for the party that evening.

Mrs. Hopkins had provided them with suggestions for a menu for the party, starting with hors d’oeuvres and including a rather lavish dinner, much more lavish than she was used to cooking for her two gentlemen. She was all atwitter with the prospect of a real dinner party, the first since her dear Mr. Reilly had passed.

Brian heard from Maggie confirming that she was going to drive up with Pats and Mick, and then go back that night with Quinn. That way her husband would only have one day to look after the pub on his own. Quinn called to confirm that he would be attending. He was hiring a car and driver for his trip, so he’d be able to drink as much as he wanted and still get back to the quoin safely.

Justin made arrangements to meet his mother and sister at the airport. He was so excited to see them after all the time that had passed. He wanted to show both of them how well he was doing. He wanted them to see how handsome Brian was, and how they had made a life together. That would put an end to his mother’s worries about him. He desperately wanted her to like Brian and accept him as Justin’s partner.



*****



Friday afternoon Brian was sitting in his office at Triskele. Justin was at his painting course. Brian was supposed to be working on a new campaign for one of Brendan’s old clients who was making some noise about returning to Brendan’s company after jumping ship when Brendan was ill and unable to run the company in his usual fashion.

Advertising was what Brian was supposed to be doing, but in his head he was going over a myriad of things from his past, present and future.

He couldn’t help but let his mind wander back to his days at the quoin. He had grown up there, become a man there in many ways and had thought the quoin was his future. Quinn had been a good friend to him over the years. Without Quinn, Brian would have probably died on the streets of Dublin. Quinn had accepted the small, frightened boy that Brian had been. He had treated Brian like a son. When Brian was about to turn thirty years old, Quinn had offered him the job of running the quoin. Brian had almost accepted. He knew he had to do something with his life, because past thirty no man was allowed to work at the quoin, not in the capacity of high priced callboy anyway.

An unwanted voice from the past sounded in Brian’s head. "You're old, over the hill, covered in wrinkles."  It was the voice of Angus, the arrogant Scotsman who was known by the persona of Rob Roy at the quoin. He had kept taunting Brian about being old, as Brian approached his thirtieth birthday. In many ways Angus had done Brian a favor. He forced Brian to deal with leaving the quoin. And that was when Justin Taylor had appeared in Brian’s life.

Brian smiled to himself. Justin was his present and his future. They were totally intertwined in every possible way. That was just how Brian liked it. If only Justin’s mother could see her way clear to accept Brian as Justin’s partner, but that didn’t seem very likely. In fact, Brian was worried about Jennifer Taylor meeting Quinn. She would undoubtedly want to know what Quinn did. The fact that he ran a high priced brothel for gay men would not go over well. And the fact that Brian had worked there for most of his adult life would be even harder for Jennifer to swallow. This was going to be one helluva weekend.

And Brian’s whole future hinged on the outcome.

Brian leaned back in his big office chair. He closed his eyes and tried to think about nothing. That lasted about five seconds. Justin’s face jumped into view, and in his mind he saw Justin smiling at him, encouraging him. That was the moment that Brian knew he would do anything to make the weekend work. He would do it for Justin. He would be nice to Jennifer Taylor. He would be sweet to Molly. He would be kind and sensitive to his friends. He could only hope that they would reciprocate.

So, now he had his plan.



*****



“Are you ready, Brian?” Justin asked. “We need to get going.”

“Almost,” Brian said taking another look at himself in the full length mirror. “Do you think this tie is all right, or should I wear the red one?”

“That one’s great,” Justin replied straightening the tie and standing on his tiptoes to kiss Brian’s mouth. “You look beautiful. You always look beautiful.”

“To you maybe, but what about your mother? Am I son-in-law material?”

Justin grinned from ear to ear. “I’m the son that will make that decision. And you are definitely son-in-law material to me.”

“You’re no help at all,” Brian griped. “Should I change the tie?”

“You don’t need a tie at all.”

“I want to make a good impression.”

“Just be yourself, and my mother will love you.”

Brian snorted. “Yeah, right!”

“Brian, relax. Let’s go or we’re going to be late for their plane. That won’t make much of an impression on my mother, certainly not a good impression.”

“Right,” Brian agreed looking at himself once more in the mirror.

“Come on!”

“Okay, okay, right behind you,” Brian said slapping Justin’s ample rump as they finally left the bedroom.



*****



Brian paced back and forth in the arrival area at the airport. Jennifer Taylor’s flight had landed only a few minutes late. They were waiting for Jennifer and Molly to get their luggage and clear customs.

“Brian, for fuck sake, stand still!” Justin demanded. “You’re making me nervous, and it’s my fucking mother we’re waiting for.”

“Watch your language, little boy,” Brian snarked. “Your mother might have to turn you over her knee.”

“I’d rather have you spank me,” Justin said mischievously, and with that certain look in his eye.

Brian felt his cock respond immediately. He let out a loud groan. “Fuck! Now I’m going to have a hard-on when I meet your mother.”

Justin laughed out loud and then let out a loud shout, “Mom!” He raced across the arrivals area.

“Down, boy,” Brian muttered to his uncooperative dick. Then he slowly began to follow Justin who was hugging a very pretty blond lady. “You must be Molly,” he said to the girl with the reddish hair standing beside them and apparently waiting her turn for a hug. “I’m Brian, Justin’s partner.”

Molly studied Brian for a moment. “Yeah, I’m Molly,” she said finally extending her hand to shake with Brian.

“Nice to meet you,” Brian said taking her hand. He was tempted to kiss it, but thought that would be a little over the top. “Justin’s been waiting for so long to see you both.”

“Yeah, if he even notices that I’m here,” Molly griped.

“I’m sure he will in a minute.” They both watched Jennifer and Justin still hugging and whispering about how they had missed each other and it had been so long and they were so happy. “Could I get a hug?” Brian asked the girl. “We’re almost family, and I’m feeling kind of left out.”

Molly let a little smile play at the corners of her mouth then she stepped closer to Brian wrapping her arms around Brian’s waist. She thought she could grow to like this handsome man that her brother had found. Brian returned the hug warmly. Hugging was something Justin had instructed him in over the months they had been together.

“My brother can be a dick,” Molly whispered to Brian. Brian leaned back and looked into her eyes. “Sometimes,” Molly amended. “But you probably know that.”

“I quite like your brother just the way he is.”

“That’s good,” Molly said releasing Brian from the hug just in time to be grabbed by her brother who lifted her off her feet and swung her around.

“Mollusk, I missed you,” Justin whispered into her hair as he set her down but didn’t release her from the hug.

“I didn’t miss you at all,” Molly declared, but the happy smile on her face belied her words.

“I’m Brian,” Brian said to Jennifer holding his hand out to the woman. Somehow he didn’t think a warm hug between them was in the cards.

“Nice to finally meet you, Brian,” Jennifer replied as she shook his hand. She was the picture of prim and proper. Those were the hardest people to deal with, Brian knew.

“Justin’s really been looking forward to your visit,” Brian said trying to make conversation.

“It’s so good to see him. It’s almost a year since he came to Ireland.”

“And I’m very glad he decided to come here,” Brian stated.

Jennifer’s face puckered at that remark, obviously before she could prevent it. “He seems to have … enjoyed his time here in Ireland.”

“I hope so,” Brian said hoping the sarcasm in his voice wasn’t too apparent.

“I think we should get going, Mom,” Justin gushed as he put his arm around her waist. “We want to show you our house, and we have a party planned for tonight.”

“A party?” Jennifer seemed very surprised.

“Yeah, Pats and Mick will be there. They’ll be pleased to see you and Molly.”

“Oh,” Jennifer replied. She didn’t seem very happy at the prospect of seeing them.

Some time later the Renault pulled up in front of the townhouse.

“Where are we?” Jennifer asked as she looked at the street of elegant townhomes.

“This is our house,” Justin said proudly.

“Y…Your house? But…”

“I’ll tell you all about it,” Justin assured his mother. “But let’s get you and Molly settled in first.”

Brian opened the door of the townhouse and carried Jennifer’s suitcase inside. He set it down in the foyer and called for Mrs. Hopkins. She came immediately.

“Mrs. Taylor, this is our housekeeper, Mrs. Hopkins. Mrs. Hopkins, this is Justin’s mother.”

“Very pleased to meet you, ma’am,” the housekeeper replied. “Master Justin has been so looking forward to your visit. And you must be his sister, Molly,” she added looking at Molly who was gazing all around the foyer and at the doorways that opened off it.

“I’m going to give Mom and Molly a quick tour,” Justin said.

“I have a little snack ready for you when you’re done,” Mrs. Hopkins told them before heading back to the kitchen.

“You have a housekeeper?” Jennifer asked in amazement once Mrs. Hopkins had disappeared.

“Yes, Mom. Brian and I are doing very well.”

“But you’re a student…”

“I also work at Brian’s company.”

“You do?”

“Yes, Mom. Come see the house and I’ll tell you more,” Justin promised. Justin and Jennifer started into the library.

“Want the tour, or want some food?” Brian asked Molly when she made no move to follow.

“Food,” Molly said with a grin.

“Follow me,” Brian said leading her to the kitchen where Mrs. Hopkins had muffins and juice and coffee ready for them.

“Those smell so good,” Molly observed eyeing the freshly made muffins.

“Mrs. Hopkins is an excellent cook,” Brian said holding the basket of muffins towards the girl.

Mrs. Hopkins beamed her approval. “There’s butter, jam and cream cheese to have with the muffins,” she told Molly.

Molly sat down at the kitchen table and doctored her muffin. She took a big bite and let out a sigh of ultimate satisfaction. Then she eyed Brian quizzically as he sat across the table from her. “Do you love my brother?” she asked after a moment.

“I do.”

“That’s good, because my dad is really mad that he’s here with you, and mom, she…”

“Your mother doesn’t like me,” Brian supplied.

“Not much, but you seem okay to me.”

“Thanks, I’m glad I have the Molly Taylor seal of approval.”

“I wish my brother could come home,” Molly added after a brief pause.

“He misses his family,” Brian said trying to be sympathetic, “but we’re making a new life here.”

“Could I have another muffin?” Molly asked, and that was the end of the Justin-moving-back-home discussion, at least for the moment.



*****



“This will be your room,” Justin said as he opened one of the bedroom doors. He had carried his mother’s suitcase upstairs with them, and he placed it on the chest at the end of the bed. “Molly will be in the bedroom next door.”

“How many bedrooms do you have?” Jennifer asked still amazed at the splendor of the old house.

“Four,” Justin answered. “And Mrs. Hopkins has a bed/sitting room off the kitchen.”

“Justin, how have you managed all of this?” Jennifer asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed, suddenly weary from the long trip and all the new things she was learning about Justin’s life.

“I told you, Mom. Brendan Reilly owned this townhouse. He was a very good friend of Brian’s. He sold Brian his advertising agency, and when he died not long ago he left the townhouse to Brian. He had no other family.”

“Must have been a very good friend,” Jennifer said bitterly. She was sure without Brendan Reilly’s interference Justin would have returned to the States months ago.

“Mom, Brian and I are making a good life here. Please try to be happy for me.”

Jennifer studied her son. He seemed so much more grown up than the boy she had sent off to Ireland a little less than a year ago. She wasn’t sure she liked what Justin had become. She still wanted her little boy.

“I think I’d like to have a nap,” Jennifer said. “I didn’t sleep much on the plane.”

“Sure, Mom,” Justin agreed. “Then you’ll be ready for the party.”

“Yeah, party,” she mumbled as she kicked off her shoes and pulled the quilt at the foot of the bed over her. A party was the last thing she wanted to be part of. She heard the door close behind her son, and then she quickly fell asleep.



*****



Justin found Molly and Brian still bonding over the muffins. He sat down at the table with them and grabbed a muffin. Brian got him a coffee, while Mrs. Hopkins was working on hors d’oeuvres for the party.

“Where’s your mother?” Brian asked.

“She’s lying down.”

“The vapors?”

“No, just tired.”

“I guess I should be grateful she didn’t run away,” Brian said.

Molly giggled. “I like him, Jester,” she said sweetly, batting her eyelashes at Brian. Brian merely smirked. He had made a conquest of another Taylor. That left the mother.

“That’s good, Mollusk. Do you think you can work on Mom?”

“I could try,” Molly volunteered.

“I’m just kidding,” Justin said quickly. He didn’t want to place his sister in the middle of all this.

“No, really,” Molly said. “I can tell Mom that Brian’s a good guy. She likes to hear my opinion. I’m always right.”

“Is that so?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow to show his skepticism.

“You should be thankful I like you,” Molly said knowingly. “It wouldn’t be much fun if we both hated you.”

“See,” Brian said, “I knew she hated me.”

“She doesn’t really hate you,” Molly amended. “She just wants things to go back to the way they were.”

“Before I came along,” Brian interjected.

Molly nodded her head. “Mom and dad have been fighting a lot lately,” she said sadly. “I think they’re going to get a divorce.”

“Shit!” Justin reacted. “Because of me.”

“That’s only part of it,” Molly informed them. “They fight about everything. They’re not happy.”

“I’m really sorry, Molly,” Justin said softly. He took her hand.

“I’m okay, and it’s not your fault,” Molly declared, but Justin could see the tears in her eyes.

“Let’s get you settled in your room,” Brian suggested. “Maybe you should lie down a bit before our guests start arriving.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Molly agreed. She stood up holding back her tears and followed Brian to the foyer to get her suitcase.

Justin watched them leave the kitchen. He suddenly felt very tired. His family was a mess and it was all his fault.

Chapter 5 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 5


“You ready?” Justin asked.

“As ready as I’m likely to get,” Brian replied as he looked at his reflection in the mirror. Then he chuckled remembering they had had the same conversation that morning before leaving for the airport.

“I hope Mom and Molly are up for this party.”

Brian made a face. “I wouldn’t mind if they slept right through it.”

Justin chuckled. “You’re really petrified that my mother will find out the dirt on you.”

“There’s no dirt. It was my life … such as it is.”

“And I love you anyway, and because of it, and who you have become, and who…”

“Shut up,” Brian said as he pulled Justin into a passionate kiss.

“Stop,” Justin moaned. “Stop, please. Or we’ll be late for our own party.”

“It’s always good to make an entrance,” Brian informed him as he nibbled at that spot on Justin’s neck just below his ear, the spot that drove Justin wild.

“Brian, please.”

“Oh, fuck! Let’s go down and charm the pants off our guests,” Brian said smoothing his sweater and trousers.

“I think we’d all do well to keep our pants on for this party,” Justin warned him, trying to get control of himself.

They could hear the front doorbell ring at that moment.

“Looks like the first of our guests has arrived,” Brian said. “Let’s go, my little minx.”

“Minx?” Justin asked in horror. “You fucking better not call me that in front of my mother.”

Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and looked like he might say anything at any time to anyone just to cause trouble.

“Brian,” Justin said ominously, but Brian Kinney had left the room.

“Pats!” Brian said as he came down the stairs. Mrs. Hopkins had let their first guests in. Brian couldn’t stop the smile that spread across his face. His almost sister always had that effect on him.

“If it isn’t my profligate brother,” Pats teased with a lilting laugh. Her arms went around Brian pulling him close and holding on. “I’ve missed you,” she whispered against his shoulder.

“Me too,” Brian admitted.

“Uncle Bri, Uncle Bri!” a little voice called. Little Mick struggled to get out of his father’s arms. As soon as Mick set him down, the little boy ran to his uncle, his arms up in the air to be picked up.

“Hey, little man,” Brian cooed against the baby’s face as he held the little body against him. “You’ve grown tons. And you didn’t call me Unc Bi. When did that happen?”

“I’m a big boy now,” little Mick declared. It had been several months since Brian had seen his ‘nephew’.

Brian chuckled, and then felt Justin’s hand on his shoulder as his partner had followed him down the stairs. “Do you remember Justin?” Brian asked Little Mick.

“Uncle Jus,” little Mick said reaching out for Justin to take him.

Justin gladly took the baby while Brian gave Pats another hug and shook hands with Big Mick, trying not to grimace when his sore knuckles were squeezed. The large, gentle man seemed really pleased to be in the home that Brian and Justin had inherited. He looked around, impressed with what he saw.

“Looks like you two are doing just foine,” Mick commented.

“I like to think we are,” Brian agreed.

“I hear the mother-in-law is here,” Mick added.

“Yeah, I guess you could call her that.”

“But she might not like it?”

Brian shook his head. He wanted Jennifer Taylor to like him, but that seemed like a near impossibility, given his past and the fact that he had kept Justin in Ireland so far away from her.

“Are ye going to be giving me a welcome?” a voice asked from behind Brian.

“Maggie!” Brian said turning and giving her a big hug. “I’d never overlook you.”

“That’s what you tell all the girls … and guys,” she added with a mischievous grin.

“Only you, darlin’.”

“Ye be the biggest liar,” Maggie laughed, but Brian knew she didn’t really mean it.

“Never,” Brian protested.

“What’s this about a mother-in-law?”

“Justin’s mother and sister are here for a visit,” Brian said carefully. “Jennifer is a cousin of Pats’ – you know, one of those third cousin five times removed things.”

“Ah, close relatives here in Ireland,” Maggie chuckled. “So when do we get to meet her?”

“She and Molly are resting after their trip. They should be down soon.”

“Or maybe they’ll sleep right through the party,” Maggie said.

“I should be so lucky,” Brian muttered causing a raised eyebrow from Maggie who noted with the wisdom of her many years working with Brian at the quoin that the man did not seem thrilled about Jennifer Taylor attending his party. “I’m sure Justin will wake them if they don’t come down soon.”

“I’d love to meet them,” Maggie said genuinely, but her eyes studied Brian’s face looking for what was troubling him. It was deep inside, she noted to herself. She couldn’t begin to figure out what was wrong, but something definitely was.

“I thought you might enjoy some hors d’oeuvres in the library,” Mrs. Hopkins said as she reappeared bearing a tray of canapés. Brian quickly introduced their housekeeper to the new guests. They all followed her to the library where Justin offered to bartend.

“Very impressive,” Big Mick said as he scanned the walls of books. “Have ye read them all?”

“Not bloody likely,” Pats said. “My darling Brian is setting up his company and finding out what it’s like to be in a relationship. I doubt he has time for reading.”

“Too true,” Brian agreed with a fond look at his ‘sister’.

“But in the future…” Pats said giving Brian a look.

“I will be working to improve myself,” Brian said right on cue.

“He doesn’t need any improving,” Justin informed them with a happy smile.

“Everyone needs improving,” Brian said philosophically. “We don’t want to stagnate.”

“Never stagnate,” Maggie said with a giggle as she took a sip of her beer. “Is this foreign beer?” she asked.

“I’m afraid it is,” Brian told her. “We don’t have you here to pull pints for us, so we’ve taken to some of the foreign brands.”

“Scandalous,” Maggie said, but it didn’t stop her from taking another mouthful.

“I guess it’s not so bad,” Brian said with a smile as he watched her. Justin handed him a scotch. He raised his glass to his partner just as Jennifer Taylor walked through the doors of the library.

“Hello everyone,” she said with a broad smile. “I’m sorry we overslept. I’m Jennifer, Justin’s mother, and this is Molly, Justin’s sister.” Jennifer pulled Molly from behind her where Molly had tried to be invisible.

“Jennifer, I’m Pats, your long lost cousin,” Pats said stepping forward and hugging Jennifer.

“It’s so good to finally meet you,” Jennifer said. “Thank you for allowing Justin to come to Ireland and live with you.”

Pats smiled. “You’re most welcome.” Somehow she felt she should be apologizing for allowing Justin to stay with her, and as a result to find Brian and change his whole life. Pats could sense that Jennifer Taylor didn’t exactly approve of what Justin’s life had become. “This is my husband Mick,” she added introducing her spouse. “And this little piglet is Little Mick, our son.”

“I’m not a piglet,” Little Mick replied indignantly. That didn’t stop him from stuffing another cheese and shrimp cracker in his mouth.

“Take it easy with those, buddy boy,” Big Mick cautioned as he scooped his son up into his arms. “Say hello to the lady.”

“Hello,” Little Mick said obediently.

“He’s just adorable, Pats,” Jennifer gushed.

“Thanks, we kinda like him.”

“Would you like a glass of wine, Mom?” Justin asked.

“Oh yes, that would be lovely,” Jennifer said. Meeting a roomful of new people was rather stressful. Wine would take the edge off and help her relax.

“What would you like, Molly?” Justin asked as he handed his mother a glass of red wine.

“Wine,” she said.

Brian chuckled at her answer, earning him a big smile from Molly. “I think perhaps an orange soda might be more suitable,” Brian suggested.

“I’d rather have wine,” Molly insisted, “but soda will do.”

“Good choice,” Brian replied handing her the glass of soda that Justin had poured.

“Orange,” Little Mick said reaching for the glass as it passed by.

“Is it okay?” Justin asked Pats.

“Sure, but pour him a little one. He doesn’t need all that sugar.”

“Sugar’s great,” Molly said with a mischievous smile. She seemed to have relaxed since her reluctant entrance.

“Jennifer, you haven’t met my old friend Maggie,” Brian said.

Maggie had been sitting on a leather chair watching the interchanges that were taking place. “Who’re you calling old, young man?” she demanded.

“Never you, sweetness,” Brian retorted earning a guffaw from Maggie.

“You always were the charmer,” she said.

“How do you know Brian?” Jennifer asked as she moved closer to Maggie.

“You think I’m too old for him?” Maggie questioned, her blue eyes twinkling with mischief.

“I…”

“Maggie,” Brian warned in an ominous voice.

“Okay, okay,” Maggie gave in. “I’ve known Brian for almost fifteen years,” she began. “I used to clean for him. Now my husband and I run a pub in Cork.”

“Oh, you worked for Brian’s family?”

Everyone, except Jennifer and Molly, seemed to be holding their breath as they waited for Maggie’s answer.

“You could say that,” Maggie replied and left it at that.

Jennifer was clearly curious as to why the cleaning lady had been invited to this party. She was forming her next question when the doorbell rang.

“That must be Quinn,” Brian said moving towards the doors of the library as Mrs. Hopkins ushered in a good looking middle aged man. “Glad you could make it,” Brian said giving Quinn a hug. Brian began the introductions, calling Quinn an old and valued friend. “And this is Justin’s mother, Jennifer Taylor,” Brian said as they came to Jennifer who was sitting on the sofa.

“A pleasure ta meet ya, lovely lady,” Quinn said bowing his head and smiling.

Brian smirked. Apparently Justin’s mother was still very much alive if the blush on her face meant anything.

“Hello, Mr. O’Donnell,” Jennifer said with that Taylor smile. “I see you’re quite the sweet talker.”

“Only to beautiful women,” Quinn replied with a big smile.

“I’ll get you a Guinness,” Brian said knowing Quinn’s preference in drinks.

“Thanks,” Quinn said. “And how can you possibly be the mother of that ancient wreck over there?” he asked glancing over at Justin.

“He’s still a teenager,” Jennifer laughed.

“Seems like a much older soul to me.”

“Yes,” Jennifer said slowly, “he always has been.”

“Are you enjoying your stay in Ireland?” Quinn asked Jennifer, as Brian handed him a glass of Guinness.

“I’ve only been here for a few hours, and I slept through most of that,” Jennifer laughed.

“You arrived today?”

“Yes, this morning – flew all night.”

“I see,” Quinn said. “I hope this little get together isn’t too much for you.”

“Molly and I had some time to rest this afternoon, so I think we’re fine.”

“That’s good.

“How do you know Brian?” Jennifer asked. She sipped her wine while she waited for Quinn to answer.

“I met Brian when he was just a boy.”

“Oh? You knew his family.”

“I knew of his family.”

“That sounds rather mysterious.”

“Dinner is served,” Mrs. Hopkins said from the doorway.

That announcement effectively cut off Quinn’s answer. He offered Jennifer his arm as the guests all made their way to the formal dining room.

Mrs. Hopkins had really decked the place out in all its finery. She had used the best linen and china. The table sparkled with crystal glasses and silver serving dishes. Even Brian and Justin felt their breath catch in their throats. They knew Brendan had had good taste but the table, the whole room, looked quite exquisite.

It seemed like everyone else thought so too, as they all told Mrs. Hopkins how lovely everything looked.

The housekeeper beamed with pride before telling them to please find their seats. She had used place cards set in little silver holders to indicate where each guest should sit. Brian and Justin occupied the two ends of the long table.

“I’m afraid Little Mick will break something,” Pats said with a worried look on her face, as she sat her son in the booster seat beside her.

“I have some plastic dishes for the wee lad,” Mrs. Hopkins informed her. “He won’t be any problem at all.”

With that, dinner commenced. Mrs. Hopkins served her delicious soup first. She had even filled one of Little Mick’s sippy cups with warm soup. The little boy sucked happily on the soup along with all the adults.

The rest of the dinner was very well received too. Everyone enjoyed the wine that Brian kept flowing freely. The food was excellent and all the guests shared stories and jokes. It was a very successful evening as far as the hosts were concerned. No one mentioned Brian’s former profession.

Brian watched the interaction between his friends. They had made Jennifer and Molly feel welcome and comfortable. For that he was very grateful. He watched Quinn’s attentions to Justin’s mother. If he didn’t know better, he would think Quinn was smitten with the woman. Not that Jennifer Taylor wasn’t an attractive woman, she was – very attractive. But Quinn had never shown any interest in a woman in all the time Brian had known him. He hadn’t shown much interest in men either, as far as Brian knew. His love life, if there was such a thing, had always been very private. Brian had merely assumed Quinn was gay, since he ran a quoin.

So far no one had mentioned what Brian used to do as his job before he got into advertising. He was hoping that might continue to be the case. As Mrs. Hopkins cleared the main course, she leaned down to whisper to Brian.

“May I suggest that you have coffee, tea and dessert in the library,” she said.

“That sounds like a fine idea,” Brian agreed. “And you’ve done a … wonderful job with everything tonight. I couldn’t have asked for it to be any better.”

“It was my pleasure,” she said with a smile as she picked up his plate and removed it from the table.

Brian stood. “If everyone has a wee drop left in their glass,” he said, “I would like to propose a toast to Mrs. Hopkins for this fine meal that she has provided us this evening.”

Amid choruses of “Hear! Hear!” everyone toasted the woman who blushed with pleasure at the recognition given her.

“That same lady has suggested that we take ourselves over to the library where she promises us some excellent tea and coffee and a fine dessert,” Brian explained.

“Sounds great,” Mick said. “I need some exercise after all I’ve ate.” He stood up.

“The walk from here to the library hardly qualifies as exercise,” Pats told him in no uncertain terms. The other guests laughed.

“It’s better than nothing,” Mick joked. “If I had dessert here, and it was half as good as the rest of this meal, you’d need a crane to get me off my chair.”

Laughing and joking they all made their way to the library. Mrs. Hopkins gave them a little time to digest while she made the coffee and laid out the desserts on the tea cart. When everything was ready she rolled the cart into the library.

Justin helped serve the desserts while Mrs. Hopkins poured tea or coffee as each guest preferred. Soon they were all seated enjoying the chocolate cake that was the dessert of the evening. Little Mick had chocolate all over his face, and was extremely happy by the looks of him. All the other guests seemed to be just as pleased and relaxed.

Justin walked over to Brian with a piece of cake. Brian shook his head.

“We could share,” Justin suggested.

“Maybe one bite,” Brian conceded. He let Justin feed him a forkful of the chocolate cake. “It really is very good.”

“It’s delicious,” Justin corrected. “And this evening has gone better than I ever could have dreamed.”

Brian nodded in agreement. It had been a good party.  They smiled as they looked around at their friends enjoying themselves. Life was good.

At that moment the friendly chatter was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. Brian frowned wondering who it could be, but he walked into the front hall waving Mrs. Hopkins back to the kitchen, where she had gone once she had poured the tea and coffee. He knew she would be busy cleaning up. Just then Pats went up the stairs with a sleepy Little Mick resting against her shoulder. She gave Brian a little smile as he opened the front door.

“Mr. Brian Kinney?” a middle aged man asked. He was accompanied by a younger man who stood behind him.

“That would be me,” Brian replied.

“I’m Detective James Weatherley, Dublin police force. I’m here to ask you some questions regarding the murder of Thierry Desmarais.”

Chapter 6 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 6


The guests in the library gasped when they heard the word murder. The police officer had spoken quite loudly and everyone could hear what he was saying.

Quinn tried not to show that he recognized the name Thierry Desmarais, but he clearly did. Justin immediately went to the foyer to be with Brian. As he approached Brian, he could see that his partner was shaken by the news. Who wouldn’t be? His hand slipped unobtrusively into Brian’s giving a gentle squeeze of support.

“You know Mr. Desmarais, I believe,” the detective was saying to Brian.

“Yes, he’s an old … friend.”

“We found his body this afternoon. There had been a Do Not Disturb sign on his door for days, so finally the maid knocked on the door. When no one answered, she let herself in. She found Mr. Desmarais’ body on the bed.”

“I know Thierry,” Brian said, “but why are you here, as sad as his death may be? I’m not family.”

“You had an appointment with him for two p.m. on Wednesday?”

“Yes.”

“Did he keep that appointment?”

“No,” Brian replied. “I thought he had gone back to Paris.”

“Did you try to contact him?”

“I called the hotel, but there was no answer at his room?”

“You didn’t leave a message?”

Brian glanced at Justin. “It was Thierry that wanted the meeting. I just figured he had changed his mind whatever the reason.”

“So you didn’t speak to him?”

“Um, no, I didn’t speak to him about our meeting on Wednesday, except for his original call saying he was coming to Dublin and wanted to schedule the meeting.”

The detective gave Brian a quizzical look. “What was this meeting about?”

“Thierry seemed to be interested in changing advertising agencies. As you probably already know, I run Triskele Advertising.”

“Yes, we did know that,” Weatherley said as he looked Brian up and down, sizing him up. Brian didn’t think the detective much liked what he saw. “So your meeting was about advertising.” Brian nodded. “Where were you on Tuesday evening?” Weatherley asked.

“Um, Justin and I went to a club.”

“All evening?”

“Yes. What does Tuesday evening have to do with Thierry’s death?”

“What time did you leave the club?” Weatherley asked ignoring Brian’s question.

“Around eleven.”

“And you were together all the time?”

“Except when I had to use the restroom,” Justin offered. “What’s this all about? You sound like you suspect Brian.”

Brian squeezed Justin’s hand. “Yeah, that’s how it sounds,” he agreed.

“The coroner’s preliminary examination puts Mr. Desmarais’ death on Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning. That’s why we were curious to see if he had kept his appointment with you on Wednesday, Mr. Kinney. We found his list of appointments on his Blackberry. We’re now trying to find any people Mr. Desmarais knew in Dublin, or in Ireland for that matter,” the detective explained. “The manner in which he was killed would indicate great … passion.”

“Passion?” Brian asked.

“Yes.”

“Um, how was he killed … exactly?” Justin asked.

“He was beaten and strangled.”

“Fuck!” Brian reacted.

“Officer,” Quinn said as he stepped out of the library. Brian was sure they had all been listening.

“It’s detective,” the policeman replied.

“Pardon me,” Quinn apologized. “But I thought I should mention that I also knew Thierry Desmarais.”

Brian shot Quinn a look, but Quinn ignored him.

“And how did you know him?”

“He was a client at my establishment.”

“Establishment?”

“I run a very high class quoin near Barney Castle.”

“Is that right?” the detective asked, obviously surprised that Quinn was volunteering such information.

“Mr. Desmarais has been a client for a year or so.”

“Was he in contact with you on this trip?”

Quinn shook his head. “No, he wasn’t.”

“Thank you for stepping forward, Mr…?”

“O’Donnell.”

Brian opened his mouth to say something, but quickly clamped it shut.

“If there’s nothing else, detective,” Justin said, “we were in the middle of a party.”

“I’m sorry to disturb you. If you think of any other information that might be helpful, please call. Here’s my card.” The detective handed a card to Justin before giving Brian a last look. Then he turned and walked to the front door.

“Good evening,” Justin said before closing the door behind the two policemen. “What a way to spice up a party,” he tried to joke. He glanced at Brian who seemed to be frozen in place. He had a strange, faraway look on his face. “Brian?”

Brian seemed to snap out of it at the sound of his name. “I … I can’t believe Thierry is dead.”

“I could use a drink,” Quinn said.

“We all could,” Justin replied.

They made their way back into the library. Everyone just stared unable to express what they were feeling. Pats took that moment to return from putting Little Mick down upstairs.

“What’s going on?” she asked as she observed the silence and somber faces.

“You missed the excitement,” Quinn replied. “A … friend of mine and Brian’s has been murdered. That was the police at the door.”

“Detectives,” Brian corrected. He was starting to feel more like himself. He didn’t want Thierry’s death to spoil the party.

“My goodness,” Maggie said, “I don’t believe I’ve ever been so close to a murder.” She pulled the collar of her blouse closer around her neck, seemingly a defensive move to ward off bad karma.

“Did you know Mr. Desmarais?” Jennifer asked her.

“No, I can’t say as I did, but I’ve never been somewhere that the police were questioning people about a murder either.”

“No, I haven’t either,” Jennifer said, as Justin handed her another glass of red wine. She shot a disapproving glance in Brian’s direction. Obviously this interruption was Brian’s fault. Good people didn’t have the police at their doors. “Did you know this Mr. Desmarais?” she asked her son.

“No, but Brian has mentioned him before. I knew there was a business meeting with him this week, and that he never attended it.”

“I guess Quinn and Brian were the only ones who knew the man,” Jennifer said thoughtfully. “Odd that they should both be here when Mr. Desmarais was murdered.”

“Technically I wasn’t here,” Quinn jumped in. “I was in Blarney.”

“You said you ran a high class quoin,” Jennifer said remembering Quinn’s words. “What is a quoin? I’ve never heard that word before. Is it a spa?” she asked innocently.

Quinn took a gulp of his scotch. Justin noticed that he glanced at Brian before answering. He wasn’t sure how his mother would take Quinn’s explanation of what a quoin actually was.

“Do I look like a hairdresser?” Quinn asked trying to avoid answering Jennifer’s question directly.

“Not really, but who knows what a hairdresser looks like these days,” Jennifer joked.

“I can assure you that I’m not a hairdresser.”

“Then what is a quoin?” Jennifer persisted.

Quinn looked at Molly who was listening intently, and then at Brian who merely shrugged. It looked like it was all going to come out.

“A quoin is a high class brothel for gay men.”

Jennifer managed to keep her mouth from dropping open. She stared blankly at Quinn as the full meaning of his words began to sink in. It also raised so many questions about Brian. What had this man to do with a … quoin? Was he a client there? Had he sucked her son into some kind of unsavory lifestyle? Did they go there together? Jennifer shuddered.

“And what does Brian have to do with this quoin?” she felt compelled to ask aloud once the impact of what a quoin was had settled in.

“I worked there,” Brian supplied, deciding that Quinn shouldn’t be the one put on the spot.

“I see,” she finally said taking a drink from her wineglass. She willed her hand not to tremble as she did so.

Brian looked at Justin’s mother, noticing the color had drained from her face at his words. He heard her say, “I see.” He had no idea what she was seeing, and he didn’t want to venture a guess. If the look on her face was any indication, she didn’t see anything pleasant.

“I’m sorry if I shocked you,” Quinn was saying.

“I suddenly feel rather tired,” Jennifer said carefully. She stood up.  “I think Molly and I will retire for the evening. It was … nice to meet all of you.” Jennifer motioned to Molly who stood up. She seemed to know from the look her mother gave her that she shouldn’t argue.

“Good night,” Molly said as she followed her mother out of the library.

“Mom,” Justin called, but she didn’t stop.

“I’ll go,” Brian volunteered.

Justin shook his head in confusion and worry, but he let Brian follow his mother and sister into the foyer.

“Mrs. Taylor,” Brian said formally.

Jennifer stopped on the first step of the stairs. “Go up to your room, Molly,” she ordered. Molly looked at Brian but ran up the stairs as she had been directed. “What do you want, Brian?” she asked turning to face her son’s lover.

“I … I wanted to explain.”

“I don’t think there’s anything you can say that I want to hear. I’m really tired. I’m going to bed,” Jennifer said with finality.

Brian knew it was useless to continue. He never explained about his life anyway. He had thought for a minute that maybe he would explain this one time, but he knew it was useless. Nothing he could say would make Jennifer accept him. He watched her disappear up the stairs. Her back was rigid and unforgiving. He suspected that’s what her attitude would be too. He returned to the library.

“I think I’m going to head back to Blarney,” Quinn said as soon as he saw Brian. “I think I’ve done enough to destroy your party.”

“I’ll be comin’ with ye,” Maggie said standing up.

“You don’t have to leave,” Justin said quickly.

“I think it’s best if I go, and Maggie’s welcome to a ride back with me. I’ll just call my driver,” Quinn told them. He pulled out his cell phone.

“Thank you for inviting us, Brian dear,” Maggie said. “It was a lovely dinner. We’ll have to get together when all of this is over.”

“Hopefully that won’t be too long,” Brian replied giving Maggie a hug.

“Don’t worry,” Maggie whispered to him. “It will all get sorted.”

“My driver will be here in a couple of minutes,” Quinn informed them as he closed his phone.

“I’m sorry this evening didn’t go better. It was supposed to be fun,” Brian replied.

“I’ll be in touch,” Quinn said. “We better walk out. My driver should be pulling up momentarily.”

“Okay, if you’re sure,” Brian agreed. He walked his two old friends to the front door. Just as he opened the door Quinn’s car pulled up in front of the house.

“Good night, me laddo, and thank you for a great meal,” Quinn said shaking Brian’s hand.

Brian winced as Quinn squeezed his still tender hand. But Brian managed not to make a scene about it. He didn’t want everyone to know about his knuckles.

“Thank you again,” Maggie said as she climbed into the car.

Brian watched the car proceed down the street and turn the corner. Then he went back inside.

“You okay?” Justin asked as he met Brian in the foyer. Brian nodded even though he wasn’t sure how true that was. “Pats and Mick are talking about leaving tonight too.”

“Fuck!” Brian muttered. “This wasn’t how the evening was supposed to end.”

“It’ll be all right,” Justin said hoping against hope that it would work out that way.

“Yeah, your mother thinks… I don’t know what she thinks, but it can’t be good,” Brian said shaking his head.

“We’ll deal with her,” Justin replied staring into Brian’s eyes.

“Brian, Justin, I’m sorry to interrupt,” Pats said as she came out of the library, “but Mick and I have talked and we think maybe we should go home too.”

“No, please,” Justin begged. “We don’t want you to go.”

“It might be best,” Pats said. Mick nodded in agreement.

“You’ve had far too much to drink to be driving,” Brian said sternly to Mick. “I won’t be responsible for you running into a tree … or something worse.”

“And Little Mick is asleep,” Justin added. “Please stay.”

Pats looked from Justin to Brian to her husband. “If you really want us to…”

“We do,” Brian and Justin said at the same time.

“And you can run interference for me with a certain blonde lady in the morning,” Brian added with a crooked grin.

“Oh well then,” Pats laughed, “since you need me…”

“We do,” Brian said.

“Then we’ll stay.”

“Good, let’s have another drink.”



*****



It was a couple of hours later before everyone was ready to turn in. As they made their way upstairs, Brian had to wonder what new disaster the morning would hold.

Chapter 7 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 7



Brian turned his head to study his partner. Justin slept peacefully next to him. The first rays of morning sunlight were peeking through the drapes in the bedroom. It had been a sleepless night for Brian. His mind was racing with terrible thoughts about what Jennifer Taylor must think of him. He wondered if she’d be leaving like Quinn and Maggie had. If she didn’t leave, he could only imagine how tense the next days would be.

With a heavy heart he threw back his covers and got up. Justin continued to sleep, so Brian headed for the bathroom, deciding a shower was what he needed.

About twenty minutes later he appeared in the kitchen where Mrs. Hopkins had a pot of coffee ready for him. He poured a cup and sat down at the kitchen table.

“I think your party went very well,” Mrs. Hopkins ventured to say, “until those policemen came to the door.”

Brian glanced over at her. “I would totally agree with you. After the police left, it took a major nosedive.”

“What happened?”

“Let’s just say we are only seven for breakfast, and two of those are highly questionable.”

“But you said Mr. Quinn and the older lady would likely go back last night,” Mrs. Hopkins said with a questioning look on her face.

“They couldn’t wait to get out of here. Mick and Pats would have gone too, if Justin hadn’t begged them to stay.”

“I see.”

“Do you?” Brian asked acerbically. He was in no mood for pleasantries. “Justin’s mother and sister probably won’t come down for breakfast, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they have found a flight back to the United States of America for later in the day.”

“But…”

“I really don’t want to rehash it,” Brian said abruptly. “If you would make breakfast for those that want it, I would appreciate it. I’m going out.”

“Out?”

“Yes, out. And don’t tell me that I have guests to look after. Justin can take care of them, and they’ll all be much happier if they don’t have to look at me.”

Brian walked out of the kitchen, leaving a stunned Mrs. Hopkins wondering what had happened. She heard the front door close signifying that Brian Kinney had indeed left the building.



*****



“Morning, Mrs. Hopkins,” Justin said as he entered the kitchen. “Is anyone else up?”

“Only Mr. Kinney.”

“Yeah, I know he’s up. Have you seen him?”

Mrs. Hopkins handed him a mug of coffee. “He went out.”

“Out?”

“That’s all he said, ‘I’m going out’, and then he was gone,” Mrs. Hopkins explained.

“He didn’t say anything about where he was going or how long he would be?”

Mrs. Hopkins shook her head. “Nary a word.”

“Shit,” Justin muttered.

“Justin, I need to speak to you,” Jennifer said from the doorway to the kitchen.

“I have coffee if you’d like some,” Mrs. Hopkins offered. “I’m about to make some breakfast.”

“I’m not hungry,” Jennifer said abruptly. “Justin, I need to speak to you … in private.”

“Okay, Mom,” Justin replied wearily. He took the mug of coffee that Mrs. Hopkins had poured for Jennifer, and carrying his own coffee as well, he followed his mother into the library. He handed her the coffee when she stopped inside the formal room.

“I have to leave, Justin. Molly and I want to go home,” Jennifer said firmly. “I need your help to change the airline tickets. And I want you to come with me.”

“Mom, you don’t have to go, and my life is here now.”

“I have to leave and you should too.”

“Mom, I know about Brian’s past. This isn’t a shock to me.”

“And because you know about his sordid history, I’m just supposed to accept it and welcome him with open arms? I don’t think so.”

“I’m just asking you to give Brian a chance. He’s really changed his life since I met him.”

“Justin, I cannot condone leaving you here with this man, a man being investigated by the police.”

“He's not being investigated, Mom.  They just talked to him.”

“Nonetheless, I want you to come back to the States with me.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Justin declared. “I love Brian, and I trust him.”

“You’re being unreasonable…”

“I’m being unreasonable? Why can’t you give him a fair chance?”

“Maybe because I don’t think he deserves one,” Jennifer said bitterly. She couldn’t believe her son had hooked up with such a man.

“You really should give Brian a chance,” a voice said from the doorway. It was Pats with Mick standing silently behind her. He nodded in agreement. He held a sleepy Little Mick in his arms. “I’m sorry to butt in, but I heard you as I came down the stairs,” Pats continued. “I’ve known Brian longer than either of you. He’s like a brother to me. You have no idea what his life was like.”

“I’m not sure I want to know,” Jennifer said haughtily.

“At least talk to him before you go running off to America,” Pats continued. “And before anyone goes running off anywhere, I’m starving. Any chance of breakfast?”

“Mrs. Hopkins is cooking as we speak,” Justin said with a smile of thanks for his cousin’s support. “Let’s go get some breakfast. Mom, please think about staying. You can talk to Brian when he gets back.”

Jennifer was about to tell them all to go stuff themselves when Molly appeared as well.

“Mom, you should talk to Brian,” the young girl said. “I think he’s … okay.”

“And that makes all the difference,” Jennifer said sarcastically.

“Let’s eat,” Justin interrupted before the two women in his life could get into it.



*****



As breakfast was drawing to a close, Justin kept glancing at the door to the dining room. He willed Brian to come back. Pats had been working on his mother trying to get her to see reason where Brian was concerned. Even Molly, bless her heart, did her best to convince Jennifer to stay in Ireland, and maybe talk to Brian.

Jennifer remained cool and aloof with all of them. Even Little Mick could barely elicit a smile from her when he tried to feed her some toast.

“Justin, I really could use your help to change our airline tickets,” Jennifer said as she finished her coffee. Apparently all their attempts to dissuade her from leaving had been for naught.

“Okay, Mom,” Justin said resignedly. What else could he do when Brian wouldn’t even put in an appearance? Justin pushed his chair back from the table.

As he and Jennifer walked towards the library where the computer was located, Jennifer stopped and took Justin’s hand.

“Justin, your father and I are not getting along. Things have been … bad. I need you to come back to Pittsburgh with me.”

Justin shook his head. He had been waiting for his mother to confirm that she and his father were going to divorce. This was not what he had expected. Surely she didn’t think he would pack up and leave his partner because of it.

“Mom, I can’t leave Brian. I love him,” Justin replied.

As Jennifer was about to tell her son that he deserved much better than this Brian Kinney person, they heard the front door open. It was Brian. He looked at the two of them standing in the foyer of what was his home, his home with Justin.

“I hope everyone had a nice breakfast,” Brian said with no sound of emotion in his voice. “Jennifer, I’d like to speak with you … please.”

Jennifer looked up at the handsome man who was her son’s lover. He looked tired, like maybe he hadn’t slept much. That was good, because she hadn’t slept well either.

“Talk to him,” Pats said softly, as she and her family and Molly had come into the foyer to make sure Brian was all right.

“No!” Jennifer said emphatically.

Brian looked at all the faces staring at him. He knew it was now or never. “Mrs. Taylor, library now!” Brian commanded. He turned on his heel and walked into the library. He prayed she would follow.

“Go with him, Mom. You have to work this out,” Justin pleaded.

“Go, Mom, please,” Molly added.

With a heavy sigh Jennifer gave in. She turned toward the library door where Brian had disappeared. Her back became rigid as she walked across the foyer. She entered the library. Brian immediately closed the door behind her.

“That won’t keep me here, if I choose to leave,” Jennifer informed him.

“I won’t try to stop you after I have my say,” Brian said his eyes a deep green. He was trying to hold his temper in check. He had a feeling he was losing.

“I’m not used to being ordered around. I wouldn’t have followed you, but everyone seems to think you can explain your … lifestyle.”

“I’m not explaining anything to you,” Brian said tersely. “I love your son, and I would be pleased if we could get along. However, I won’t allow you to ruin my relationship with Justin. If you try to take him away from me, I will fight you to the end.”

“You certainly have your nerve,” Jennifer sneered. “You’re the one with the questionable past and the police visiting your home. You can’t tell me what to do.”

“If you want to leave, I’ll gladly help you out the door. Just don’t try to take Justin with you,” Brian warned.

Jennifer studied the handsome face. She had not seen such passion from Brian Kinney before. She knew in that moment how much he truly did love her son. But that didn’t make him any less unsuitable for Justin. “I’ll take you up on that offer of help to leave Ireland,” Jennifer said icily. “The sooner the better.”

Brian nodded and turned to open the door.

Jennifer watched him, wondering if he would really walk out … just like that. Brian reached for the door knob. “Brian, wait,” Jennifer said suddenly. Something wasn’t right. Maybe they did need to talk. “Aren’t you going to defend yourself?” She had expected him to try to convince her that he was a good man, worthy of her son, someone who had turned his life around. She had expected him to plead with her. She had expected contrition on his part. He made no attempt to do any of that.

“I never explain myself, or my … life. It is what it is. I’m far from perfect as you have undoubtedly surmised. However, if you want to hear the story, I’ll tell you, but I doubt it will change anything.”

Jennifer swallowed. This man was infuriating and arrogant, but he was also fascinating. She had expected apologies and … groveling, but apparently he didn’t do that. She could see what Justin must love about him. What was that expression, an enigma wrapped in a … mystery, or some such thing. “I think I’d like to hear your story,” she conceded. “Before I go…” she added so that he knew her resolve to leave was strong.

He nodded in agreement. “I know it’s early, but I could use a drink. How about you?”

She smiled then. “Sure.”

He poured them each a scotch and they sat down in the armchairs near the fireplace.

“The story starts when I was about twelve…”



*****



“Did you hear anything?” Justin asked as Pats came back into the dining room. They had all decided to wait in the dining room where they could have coffee and nibble on muffins. Pats had been sent to listen at the library door.

“Just low voices,” Pats replied. “I couldn’t make out anything they were saying.”

“At least they’re talking and not shouting at each other,” Mick said.

“It might be better if they were,” Justin said weakly. He hated this waiting.

“Mom can be … okay … sometimes,” Molly advised them all.

They continued to wait. Mrs. Hopkins brought more coffee, and milk for the children. She set a bowl of fruit on the table for anyone who might want it.

“What are they doing in there for so long?” Justin asked as he twirled his coffee cup around. He let out a long sigh.

“Maybe it’s good that they’re talking so long,” Mick suggested. “Working some stuff out.”

“Or figuring out how to kill each other,” Justin threw in.

Mick chuckled. “That would certainly solve the problem.” That earned him a glare from Justin. “But then we’d have the police on the doorstep again,” he added as an afterthought.

“’Nana,” Little Mick said.

“Peel him a banana, Mick,” Pats said as she handed her son to her husband. She wanted to listen at the door once again … just in case she needed to do something about whatever was going on behind that door.

As she walked across the foyer, the door to the library opened.

“Oh!” Pats said in surprise. “I was just coming to see if you’d murthered each other.” She looked Brian and Jennifer up and down. They both seemed to be okay, no visible scars.

“That thought did occur to each of us,” Brian said.

Jennifer chuckled. “Yes it did.”

Pats stared at them. They seemed to be … friendly. “What the hell happened in there?” Pats blurted out.

Jennifer gave a quick glance at Brian. Pats could almost swear she saw him wink at her.

“What’s going on with you two?” Pats asked.

“We’ve come to an understanding,” Jennifer said.

“That’s it?” Pats demanded. “An understanding?”

Brian nodded.

“Well, I don’t understand how that came about, but I’ll happily accept that it’s so,” Pats said with a smile.

“You two are okay?” Justin said from the doorway of the dining room. This was much more than he had hoped for. Both his mother and his partner nodded. “That’s good.”

“Yeah, good,” Brian repeated.

Jennifer gave him a look that said he better shape up. Brian grinned … just a little bit. It was nice to be on good terms with his partner’s mother. Did that make her his mother-in-law? He couldn’t help but shudder just a little bit at such a thought. His life was certainly different from what it used to be. Telling Jennifer about his old life made it all seem so far away. Brian knew that the Brian Kinney from that life no longer existed. Maybe that was what he had been able to get across to Justin’s mother during their discussions.

“Do you guys want something to eat?” Justin asked. “I’m sure Mrs. Hopkins could whip up some eggs.”

“I could use a little food,” Jennifer said with a little giggle. “The alcohol is kicking in.”

“Alcohol?” Justin asked.

“I could hardly tell my life story without a few drinks,” Brian said with his tongue stuck in his cheek.

“And I could hardly listen to his life story without a few drinks,” Jennifer giggled.

“Eggs, coming up, immediately,” Justin said hurrying to the kitchen to alert their housekeeper.

“I think you could use some coffee, Jennifer,” Pats said wrapping her arm around Jennifer’s waist and steering the slightly tipsy woman towards the dining room.

“I venture to say you could use some coffee too,” Mick said.

“Coffee, Uncle Bri,” Little Mick said taking Brian’s hand.

“Does everyone in this fucking house think I can’t hold my liquor anymore?” Brian demanded, but he let himself be led into the dining room.

They all got seated at the long table. Justin returned with a new carafe of coffee and the promise that scrambled eggs and toast would appear momentarily.

Neither Brian nor Jennifer seemed willing to discuss what went on in the library, so the conversation turned to what Jennifer and Molly would like to do while they were in Ireland, now that they seemed to be staying.

As Jennifer and Brian were finishing up their eggs, the front doorbell rang. Brian frowned and looked at Justin.

“I’ll get it,” Justin said to Mrs. Hopkins who stuck her head out of the kitchen. She nodded and disappeared back into the kitchen.

A couple of minutes later Justin appeared at the entrance to the dining room. “Brian, the police are here again. They want to speak to you.”

Brian drew in a breath. He had thought, hoped, that Thierry’s death was behind him. Slowly he stood up. “You’ll have to excuse me for a few minutes,” he said. “Apparently the constabulary isn’t done with me yet.” He walked towards the foyer.

Chapter 8 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 8


“I should have gone with him,” Justin said biting his bottom lip.

“The police didn’t seem to want you to accompany Brian,” Pats said. “And Brian told you to stay here.”

“What do they want with him?” Jennifer asked with a worried look on her face.

“They didn’t say much when they questioned Brian,” Justin informed them. “They kept asking him if he wanted to change any of his statements. I don’t know what they were getting at.”

“Do you think Brian was lying about something?” Jennifer asked.

“Mom! Of course Brian wasn’t lying,” Justin protested.

“Just asking,” Jennifer replied. “They must have had a reason for asking him to change his testimony.”

“It wasn’t testimony,” Justin reminded her. “They just talked to him.”

“But now he’s down at the precinct,” Mick said. “I don’t like where this is going.”

“And where do you think it’s going?” Justin asked feeling a sense of dread as he spoke the words.

“It seems like they suspect Brian of some part in this murder.”

“Brian wouldn’t hurt anyone,” Jennifer stated.

Justin’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “You’ve sure changed your tune.”

“He told me a little bit about his life,” Jennifer said carefully. “With all he’s been through, I can’t see him hurting, murdering, this man … or anyone. He would have killed someone long ago if he was so inclined. And he would have had every right…” she added.

Justin nodded in agreement. Brian was really a gentle soul under all the bravado. He had to be tough to survive but that wasn’t really who he was.

“I think I should go down to the police station,” Justin said after a few moments of silence.

“You should stay here,” Jennifer said firmly. “Brian told you to stay here. He’ll be fine.”

“You don’t know that,” Justin refuted.

“I believe it,” Jennifer said.

With a sigh Justin gave in. But it wouldn’t stop him worrying until Brian came through the front door safe and sound.



*****



“Mr. Kinney,” Detective Weatherley said as he closed the door to the interrogation room, “I’ve given you every opportunity to change your story about being at the gay club all night.”

“I wasn’t at Primavera all night. I went back to my office after we left the club,” Brian corrected.

“You didn’t mention that when I first interviewed you.”

“I may have omitted that information,” Brian conceded.

“Is there something else you’ve omitted?”

“Like what?” Brian asked. He suddenly had the feeling that they knew where else he had been on that evening.

“Like those,” Weatherley said pointing to Brian’s scabbing knuckles as his hands rested on the table.

“Oh, those?”

“Yes, those and have a look at this,” Detective Weatherley said. He indicated a TV set on a nearby table. He pushed a button on the remote.

Brian recognized the front of the hotel where Thierry had stayed. They must have had surveillance cameras at the hotel. He felt his chest constrict. They knew he was there on the night Thierry died.

“Does this look familiar?” Weatherley asked.

Brian merely nodded as he watched the TV. He knew what was coming.

“I believe that’s you,” Weatherley said. Brian could see himself climb out of a cab and enter the hotel. “That was you, was it not?”

Brian nodded again. He didn’t know what else to do. He stared at the TV as another car pulled up in front of the hotel before Weatherley turned the TV off.

“You visited Thierry Demarais on the night he was murdered,” Weatherley stated.

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you say so? You were probably the last person to see him alive.”

“No, the murderer was.”

“So, you’re saying you didn’t murder him,” Weatherley stated.

“That’s what I’m saying.”

“Then why lie about being there?”

Brian sucked his lips in and thought about his answer. “Because I lied to Justin about where I was going. I didn’t want him to know I had gone to see Thierry.”

“You said you were going to your office, and instead you went to visit the murder victim.”

“Yes.”

“Why go to the hotel?”

“Thierry called me. He wanted to see me about business. He said it meant that I got the account if I came. I didn’t want to lose his business.”

“So you obliged.”

“He … he was adamant that I have sex with him,” Brian said. “He tried to make it happen with liquor and persuasion. He threatened to take his business elsewhere.”

“So you killed him when he wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

“How would that get me his business?” Brian asked sarcastically.

“Things have been known to get out of hand.”

“Thierry was a … good man. I met him at the quoin, but that was the only time we were ever together. I was surprised that he called me offering to bring his advertising account to Triskele. I was glad he felt that way, until I got to the hotel and realized that it was all a ploy to get sex.” Brian shook his head at his own stupidity.

“So you got angry,” Weatherley stated.

“Yeah, I did. I had lied to Justin for nothing. I should have known better. I just left.”

“Just like that?”

“There was some shouting. Thierry was very angry.”

“Did he attack you?”

“I don’t think his advances could be called that. He’s not a very strong man.”

“How did you injure your hand?” Weatherley asked as he looked at Brian’s hand which rested on the table top.

“I punched a desk,” Brian replied. That was what he had told Justin.

“Or perhaps you punched Mr. Desmarais,” Weatherley said.

“I didn’t punch Thierry,” Brian averred.

“Well, I doubt you punched a desk either.”

Brian drew in a breath. He realized this was the time for the truth. Lying was only going to get him charged with murder. “What I said about the desk … that’s not true. I punched a little asshole named Larry or Lin or Liam. The bartender at Primavera can tell you who he is.”

“Did you also punch Thierry Desmarais while you were beating him and then strangling him?”

“Jesus, no!” Brian declared. “I didn’t touch Thierry.”

Weatherley studied Brian Kinney for a moment. The man was very straightforward, bluntly so. That was why he was having so much trouble with the initial lie about going to Triskele, when in reality he had gone to the hotel. He had probably lied about his hand to his partner as well. How could Kinney seem so honest and straightforward when he had been caught in two lies? Something didn’t make sense.

“What was the last thing Desmarais said to you?” Weatherley asked.

Brian raised an eyebrow. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“I’m … curious. How did you leave things?”

Brian thought for a moment, remembering the harsh words. It wasn’t pleasant to think that was how they had parted company for the last time. Thierry would be dead right after that.

“He called me over the hill. Said I probably couldn’t get it up anymore,” Brian admitted bluntly.

“And his words stung?”

“Of course they did. I thought of Thierry as a … friend.”

“But he turned into a vengeful old man.”

“Kind of…”

“Were you angry?”

“I was angry, but not angry enough to kill him,” Brian stated adamantly.

Weatherley liked getting a rise out of this controlled man. He continued. “So what did you say in return?”

“I told him that my partner had no complaints, and that I was leaving.”

“He just let you go?”

“No, he had a parting shot.”

“Oh?”

“He said he was waiting for someone younger and sexier than I could ever be. Someone who could replace me in the snap of a finger. He wanted a real man, not some faded has been from the quoin.” Brian looked into Weatherley’s eyes. “I hadn’t thought about what he said until you asked, but it sounds like he might have had some other hustler all lined up.”

“Is that what you think?”

“It seems that way now that I think about it. It would make sense that someone was there after me, since I didn’t kill him.” Brian stared defiantly into Weatherley’s eyes.

“That would be very convenient for you.”

“Nothing has been convenient so far,” Brian said bitterly.

“If you didn’t kill Desmarais, what was he doing when you left the hotel room?”

“I … I think he picked up his cell phone.”

“We’ve checked all his calls.”

“I don’t know,” Brian said shaking his head.

“What time did you leave?”

“I’m sure you have me leaving on tape,” Brian said sarcastically. “Check the time stamp.”

“You would do better to be cooperative,” Weatherley warned.

“That hasn’t got me anywhere yet,” Brian snapped.

“What time did you leave?” Weatherley repeated. He knew exactly the time, but he wanted to hear what Kinney had to say. Another lie would fry him.

“I think it was just after midnight.”

“Well within the time frame of the murder.”

Brian shook his head in defeat. He couldn’t prove that Thierry was alive when he left the hotel. Everything pointed to him as the murderer. “I guess you better charge me then,” Brian finally said.

“So you did it?”

“No, I did not! But you seem to have decided that I did.”

“Nothing is decided yet,” Weatherley admitted. He was impressed with this man who had made something of himself after a rather sordid life. Killing someone didn’t seem like part of Kinney’s MO. He wasn’t a rash or violent man, and Desmarais’ murder had been a crime of passion. “Here’s you leaving the hotel,” Weatherley said fast forwarding the tape on the TV. “It was 12:35. I thought you said you left just after midnight.”

“I left Thierry’s hotel room at just after midnight.”

“So why did it take you so long to leave the hotel?” Weatherley asked as the image of Brian came on the TV screen. He waited for a cab and then got in the first one that arrived. “Were you hiding evidence?”

“I was having a drink.”

“A drink?”

“In the hotel bar.”

“To calm your nerves?”

“Exactly.”

“After the murder.”

“After losing a potentially lucrative advertising account … and also losing someone I thought was a friend.”

“Would the bartender remember you?” Weatherley asked.

Brian looked up. His eyes brightened. “He would. He was cruising me like crazy.”

“Really?”

“Really,” Brian stated. “I’m not a total has been.”

“What was his name?”

“I have no idea, although I think he did tell me. Wouldn’t the hotel know who was working that night?”

“Yes, they would,” Weatherley said. He made a motion and Brian knew someone outside the room would be calling the hotel immediately.

Brian felt a glimmer of hope. “He can verify what I was doing,” Brian said hopefully. “Just having a drink, not murdering someone or hiding evidence.”

“It still doesn’t prove that Desmarais was alive when you left him,” Weatherley reminded Brian.

“Right,” Brian said dejectedly. The bartender remembering him wouldn’t be enough to clear him. Then another thought struck Brian. Weatherley had stopped the tape showing Brian leaving the hotel. “Can you run that again?”

“Why?” Weatherley asked, but he ran the tape back and started it up just before Brian appeared. They both watched as Brian waited for a cab and got in. Weatherley let the tape run as he asked, “What does that prove?”

Brian stared at the TV. “That I was calm and together. Do I look like someone who has just committed a murder?”

Weatherley was about to admit that Kinney didn’t appear agitated or upset. “Your drink must have calmed you down,” the detective said smugly.

“You won’t cut me any slack, will… Wait!” Brian almost shouted. “Run that back a bit and play it again.”

“Why?”

“I want to see something.”

Weatherley obliged watching Brian’s reaction to what he saw. The tape showed cabs arriving and leaving. People got in or out of them.

“There!” Brian shouted.

Weatherley stopped the tape. “What do you see?”

“A face from my past – a face I wished never to see again.”

Chapter 9 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 9


“Who is this man?” Weatherley asked. This was an unexpected turn of events.

“He’s someone I used to work with at the quoin. He enjoyed taunting me. I hated his fucking guts.”

“Is that right? And he hated yours undoubtedly.”

“Exactly.”

“What would he be doing at Desmarais’ hotel?”

“Good question,” Brian said thinking about all the possible scenarios that might cause this man to be at Thierry’s hotel … and on the same night that Brian was there and Thierry was murdered.

“He’s a hustler?”

“Anyone who works at the quoin does not think of themselves as a hustler. He’s a high class pro.”

“Be that as it may, I want his name. How do we find him?”

“His name is Rob Roy at the quoin.” Weatherley raised an eyebrow at the choice of name. “His real name is Angus … Angus MacDougall, I think.”

“Scottish.”

“Oh yeah! Never lets you forget it either.”

“Is he still at the quoin?”

“I would imagine he would be. He couldn’t wait to take over from me as top dog.”

“Didn’t that guest at your home say he was the owner of the quoin?” Weatherley asked.

“Yes, Quinn.”

“Is he back at this quoin?”

“Yes. I could call him,” Brian volunteered.

“Do it,” Weatherley commanded. This wasn’t exactly police procedure, but he had a gut feeling.

Brian pulled out his cell phone and hit Quinn’s number. “Quinn? I have something important to ask you,” Brian said.  He had no time for niceties.  He got right to the point.

“Sure, what is it? How did the party go after we left?” Quinn asked.

“Never mind the fucking party. I need to know about Angus.”

“What about Angus?” Quinn asked. “I never thought I’d hear you inquiring after Angus’ health.”

“I don’t give a fuck about his health,” Brian retorted. “If he had the black plague, that would be too good for him.”

“So, what do you need to know about him?”

“Is he at the quoin?”

“No, he fucking isn’t!” Quinn responded with anger in his voice. “He had a couple days off, but the asshole never came back. His clients are all over me. I’m going to rip him a new one when he does return.”

Brian put his hand over the mouthpiece of the phone. “He’s disappeared,” Brian whispered rather triumphantly to Weatherley. “Thanks, Quinn,” Brian added. “I think Detective Weatherley wants to talk to you.” Brian handed the phone to the detective.

Drawing in a deep breath, Brian sat back and listened to Weatherley’s side of the conversation, as he asked about Angus’ habits and where he came from in Scotland. For the first time since the police had come to his door, Brian felt hopeful that this might all be over soon.



*****



“Brian!” Justin cried when the front door opened. Brian closed the door behind him and found his arms full of his beautiful blond. “Brian,” Justin whispered again. His voice was husky with love and worry. “I was so scared.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said looking into Justin’s blue eyes.

“Are you okay?”

“Pretty good,” Brian said smugly.

“What happened?”

“It’s kind of a long story.”

“And we all want to hear it,” Pats said coming out of the library where they all had been waiting for Brian’s return.

“You’re still here?” Brian asked.

“We couldn’t leave until we knew what happened.”

“I‘m glad you’re here.”

“Me too, Uncle Bri,” Little Mick said as he toddled out to his uncle. Brian scooped him up and kissed his cheek. Brian looked at the entrance to the library where Big Mick was standing.  A couple of people were conspicuous by their absence.

“Your mother left, didn’t she?” Brian said sadly to Justin.

“I most certainly did not,” Jennifer Taylor stated coming out of the dining room. “I was in the kitchen getting some snacks.”

Brian smiled. His worst fear had been that when the police took him to the station Jennifer and Molly would fly back to the States … and take Justin with them. Apparently none of that had happened.

“I … I’m pleased you’re still here,” Brian conceded.

“Where else would I be?” The tiny smile that lifted the corners of Jennifer’s pretty mouth meant the world to Brian.

“I could use a drink,” Brian said, “and then I’ll tell you all about my excellent adventures with the gendarmes.”

“Justin, does he always talk like that?” Molly asked, earning laughs from all present, except Little Mick who looked quite content to just stay in Brian’s arms.

“Yeah, sometimes he’s very full of himself,” Justin joked.

“And sometimes you’re very full of me,” Brian whispered leaning down so his mouth was wickedly close to Justin’s ear, while they all headed for the library and the aforementioned drink.

Justin felt his dick jump at the warmth of Brian’s breath on his ear, and the double entendre wasn’t wasted either. “Behave yourself,” Justin said softly. “You’re already in enough trouble.”

“I’m thinking my trouble is almost over,” Brian said.

When everyone had a drink in their hand and snacks on their plate, Brian began his tale of what happened at the police station. Everyone listened intently until Brian got to the name of the current suspect in Thierry Desmarais’ murder.

“That ass always was after your position at the quoin,” Pats declared. She had heard many complaints about Angus’ supercilious attitude when Brian was trying to figure out whether he would leave the quoin or not.

“And you know this how?” Mick asked with a strange look on his face.

“Brian told me that many times when he visited our home,” she clarified.

“He’s a rather nasty piece of work,” Brian informed them. “There was almost no humanity in him.”

“Sounds like an awful man,” Jennifer said.

“I guess he proved that once and for all if the description of Thierry’s death is any indication,” Brian observed.

“Dare we ask what he did to the poor man?” Pats asked.

“Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty,” Brian replied, well aware that there were children in the room. “The police call it a crime of passion.”

“So, they don’t think you murdered this man?” Pats asked.

“Guess I’m not passionate enough for such a crime,” Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

“You’re plenty passionate enough for me,” Justin declared.

Brian smiled at his lover. It was good to be home.

“Are the police hunting for Angus now?” Mick asked.

Brian nodded. “He didn’t return to the quoin, so the police think he might have headed for Scotland. They’re in touch with the police there.”

“I hope they catch him soon,” Jennifer said.

“Me too,” Molly added.

“I wonder why he killed the man,” Mick speculated.

“Angus always was a hothead. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thierry said something about me that set him off.”

“Why would Thierry say something about you?” Justin asked.

“Because I was in Thierry’s room just before he was murdered,” Brian admitted.

“You didn’t go to Triskele from the club,” Justin said in a near whisper. His face registered the hurt he was feeling at that revelation.

Brian looked away. “Thierry called me at Primavera. He wanted to meet with me at his hotel. He said it could be the difference between getting his account and not getting it,” Brian explained.

“And you didn’t feel you could tell me that,” Justin accused.

“I didn’t want to upset you. I know how you felt about old … clients.”

“Yeah, and I guess this proves I was right.”

Brian had no answer for that, so he remained silent.

“You think Thierry might have told Angus you were there before him?” Pats asked.

Brian nodded. “Thierry was angry that we … couldn’t be together. I could see him taunting Angus with the fact that I had first refusal.”

“You think that would set Angus off?” Justin asked surprised at that revelation on Brian’s part. “And you did refuse, right?” Justin felt compelled to ask.

Brian nodded then he said, “If Thierry said something about Angus not measuring up … if you know what I mean.” Brian looked at the adults and nodded to the children not wanting to expand on that statement. “That would have sent Angus round the bend.”

“He was that competitive with you?” Pats asked.

“Definitely. He couldn’t wait for me to be out of the quoin, so he could claim top spot. He wouldn’t allow anything … or anyone to interfere with that position. He wanted to be number one,” Brian explained.

Mrs. Hopkins appeared at the door of the library. “I’ve made a light supper for you. I hope you’ll enjoy it. And it’s nice to have you home, Mr. Kinney.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Hopkins,” Brian replied. “I’m sure the supper will be delicious. And it’s very good to be home.” He looked at Justin for forgiveness for not telling him about his midnight trip to Thierry’s hotel room. Justin merely nodded that he understood.

With a nod of her head the housekeeper disappeared.

“We better go enjoy the food while it’s hot … or cold … or whatever it is,” Justin said.

They all made their way back to the dining room.

“We’ll have a wee bite to eat, but then we must be getting home,” Pats said as she filled her plate from the buffet that Mrs. Hopkins had laid out on the sideboard.

“Do you have to go?” Brian asked. He was getting used to having her around.

“Mick has work tomorrow. We need to be on our way.”

“Okay,” Brian said reluctantly. “I’ll miss having you about.”

“Underfoot, you mean,” Pats laughed as Little Mick was clinging to Brian’s leg.

“I could get used to it,” Brian replied with genuine affection as he lifted Little Mick into his arms and fed him a piece of chicken.

Pats smiled affectionately at Brian. “I’ll miss you too.”

“Do you have to go back to the police station or are you free and clear?” Jennifer asked.

“His name has been cleared,” Pats said emphatically.

“It’s not cleared yet,” Brian replied. “They have to catch Angus. Hopefully he’ll confess.”

“From what you’ve told me about this Angus, I can’t see him confessing to anything,” Pats stated.

Brian frowned at that thought. She was probably right. The police would have to prove that Angus was in Thierry’s room. All they knew at the moment was that Angus was at the hotel shortly after Brian was there. Brian felt some of his confidence and high hopes slip back a notch or two.



*****



“I’m really glad Mick and Pats were able to stay until you got home,” Justin said as they closed the door behind Brian’s old friend and almost sister.

“I guess they were worried.”

“More than worried. We all were.”

“Even your mother and sister?” Brian asked. Jennifer and Molly had decided to turn in early since jet lag was still affecting them.

“Mom is very supportive of you, and she was worried. I think she was scared they might not let you come home.”

“It certainly wasn’t a barrel of laughs at the police station,” Brian admitted. “I wasn’t at all sure they weren’t going to lock me up. But then Detective Weatherley started to see things my way after…”

“After what?”

“After I told him the truth.”

“Why did you lie about going to see Thierry?” Justin asked as Brian poured them each a brandy and they sat down in front of the fireplace.

“I knew you’d be upset if I said I was going to see Thierry.”

“Then why go?”

“He said it meant the contract with his company if I came,” Brian explained. He realized his words sounded pretty hollow.

“We don’t need his contract,” Justin said shaking his head slowly.

“I know, but it would have been a nice chunk of extra change for us.”

“Money has never been your first priority, Brian,” Justin reminded him. “We’re doing okay.”

“We are, but I would like Triskele to be great. This would have been our first international contract.”

“Yeah, it would, but now…”

“We go after some other company,” Brian stated finishing Justin’s sentence.

Justin looked thoughtful for a moment. “A part of you wanted to meet with Thierry, didn’t it?”

Brian sucked his lips in and looked like he might refuse to answer. Then he changed his mind and decided to tell Justin the truth. “I first met Thierry when I was contemplating life after the quoin. It looked pretty dismal. Of course that was before I met you.” Justin smiled at that admission. “He went to bat for me, trying to get Quinn to let me stay. And Thierry was an old friend of Brendan’s. I thought I should meet with him when he called.”

“And you wanted to see him again,” Justin repeated.

Brian stared into the pale blue eyes. “I wanted to see him,” Brian finally admitted. “I guess I wanted to know if he still found me attractive, if he still wanted me the way he had that night.”

“Brian…”

“Don’t say it,” Brian ordered raising his hand to stop Justin from speaking further. “I know you love me, and I know I’m attractive…”

“And successful and sexy and…”

“Arrogant,” Brian supplied. “But I made my living from selling my body for many years. It’s hard to think of myself as something other than that. I just wanted…”

“To prove that the past was still possible,” Justin supplied. Brian nodded. “I have a strange, and uncomfortable, feeling that you’ll always be able to have any man that you want,” Justin explained.

“And that’s a bad thing, how…?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.

“You know I have at least one jealous bone in my body.”

“More than one, I’d guess,” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Come to bed,” Justin ordered standing up. “I want you to prove to me how much you love me, and that I have absolutely nothing to worry about where jealousy is concerned.”

Brian smiled as he took Justin’s hand. “You don’t have anything to worry about, you know,” Brian whispered as they went up the stairs.

“I require proof,” Justin said with a grin.

“Scoundrel,” Brian laughed. He pulled on Justin’s hand as they ran to their bedroom.

Brian yanked Justin inside, closing the door without slamming it. They didn’t want to wake Jennifer or Molly. Brian turned the lock just to be on the safe side. With that taken care of, he grabbed Justin and pinned him against the door.

“I’ve been wanting to do this ever since they let me go,” Brian said his breath hot against Justin’s ear. His tongue flicked out probing into the orifice, making Justin gasp as Brian licked the sensitive edges of his ear.

“Brian,” Justin whispered.

Brian’s lips crushed Justin’s forcing his head back against the door as Brian’s pressure forced Justin’s mouth open. The hot, wet tongue felt like fire as it probed and explored. The kiss went on and on, leaving them both gasping when Brian finally ended it.

With expert fingers Brian quickly disrobed his younger lover, rubbing his hands over the exposed skin. Brian relished the soft yet firm body that his lover possessed. He skimmed his hands along Justin’s torso, before his tongue began to lick and delve into every sensitive spot that Brian knew drove Justin wild. Justin thrashed against the door where Brian kept him pinned. He grabbed at Brian’s hair as Brian leaned down to capture a nipple in his warm mouth. He sucked and pulled nipping at the sensitive tip. Justin cried out, but held the back of Brian’s head wanting more of the same.

Brian’s hands snaked around the back of Justin. He lifted the young man pressing him against his own long, lean body. His lips captured Justin’s once again, and then, held like that, Brian carried his lover to their bed. He pulled down Justin’s trousers, whipping off his shoes as he did so. With one finger against Justin’s chest he pushed him back onto the bed. As Justin fell against the soft sheets, his eyes never left Brian’s. Brian’s hands were already busy getting rid of his own clothes, until naked he lay atop the slender body that he had learned to love so much.

“I’m going to fuck you so hard…” Brian threatened.

“Do it!” Justin commanded. He could feel Brian’s hard member pressing against him.

Brian quickly rolled on a condom and grabbed the lube from the bedside table. He pressed into the tight, hot hole relishing every inch that Justin took of him. Soon they were joined as one. Justin lay still looking into hazel eyes that were filled with heat and tenderness and want and … love.

“I love you so much,” Justin whispered. “I was so scared when the police took you away.”

“I’ll always come back to you,” Brian promised, as his body started to move in and out of Justin’s. The speed and intensity varied as they coupled, but the love shone through it all.

Upon completion Brian rolled away and stripped off his condom. Justin snuggled against him and let out a contented sigh.

“I couldn’t live without you,” Justin said against Brian’s chest. “You’ve ruined any other life for me.”

“Then we better stick together, because I don’t think I could exist without you,” Brian admitted.

“I hope they can establish that Angus is the murderer,” Justin said with a yawn. “I want all that to be over with.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian added as they drifted off to sleep.

Chapter 10 by Thyme

 

Druid II

Chapter 10


Brian clicked his computer, saving and then minimizing the screen he had been working on. He leaned back in his big executive chair at Triskele. It was three days since he had been taken to the police station for questioning. He just wanted this whole nightmare to be over. He knew the police were looking for Angus, but he had heard nothing. If they didn’t find Angus soon, his own ass might be back on the chopping block.

Justin was off today, taking his mother and sister to see the Book of Kells. Someday he must go with Justin to see that ancient manuscript. It had to be impressive after all he had heard about it – something about illuminations and fine craftsmanship. He wondered how a copy of the Four Gospels from the Bible from so long ago could still attract so much attention. Justin loved the artwork. And age did mean something. Brian couldn’t help but hope that the visitors to the Book would say a little prayer there for the capture of one, Angus MacDougall.

His phone buzzed and he picked it up.

“Mr. Kinney,” came the receptionist’s voice over the phone, “there’s a call from a Jordan Palgrave. He says it’s important.”

Brian thought for a moment. Why did that name sound familiar? Then it hit him. “Put Mr. Palgrave through,” Brian said quickly. He sat up straight in his chair.

While he waited for the transfer of the call, Brian ran through his attempts to get in touch with said Jordan Palgrave. He had already left about five messages for the man. Brian had been trying to get his foot in the door at one of the biggest department stores in Europe. Jordan Palgrave was the communications VP at Silverstone Department Stores. Brian had heard some rumors that Silverstone wasn’t very happy with their current revenues and the general trend away from department stores. Since there was no hope of a new account from Thierry Desmarais, Brian had decided that it was worth some of his time to pursue Silverstone. Jordan Palgrave calling him was an unexpected, but welcome, turn of events.

“Mr. Kinney?” a male voice said.

“Yes, Mr. Palgrave, I’ve been trying to get in touch with you.”

“I know.”

Palgrave’s words hung in the air. Brian wasn’t sure what the man meant by that statement. He had a sudden sinking feeling that Mr. Palgrave didn’t like the phone calls that Brian had made. Maybe this call was to tell him not to harass the man further. “I’m glad you returned my call,” Brian replied as smoothly as he could. Never let them see or hear your worry. He hoped his pause hadn’t been so long as to tip off the executive about his concerns.

“Why were you calling me?” Palgrave asked.

“I think you already know, or you wouldn’t be talking to me now,” Brian responded. Two could play this game.

There was a pause for longer than the prescribed couple of seconds. “I hear you’re pretty good at advertising.”

“That would be correct.”

Palgrave chuckled. “I like a man with confidence.”

“So do I. I’m hoping we might develop a … working arrangement. You know, two confident men…” Brian let his words sit there.

“You’ve heard the rumors that Silverstone’s profits are down,” Palgrave admitted.

“Correct.”

“Why would I want to spend more on advertising in that case?”

“When revenues are dropping, a good ad campaign can reverse that trend.”

“Is that right?”

“I have some ideas I think you might be interested in.”

Palgrave must have been considering that statement as there was another long pause. Brian waited. “Bring those ideas to my office tomorrow morning at ten, and we’ll see what that might lead to,” Palgrave finally said.

“See you then,” Brian replied with a big smile. He set the phone back in the cradle.

Brian again leaned back in his chair, this time feeling much better about himself. A new contract of the magnitude of the Silverstone Department stores would put Triskele on the map, and it would mean financial security for Justin and him.

Brian flexed his sore hand, the one he had used to punch that little twerp at Primavera. It was healing, all scabbed over. He knew it would feel much better when Angus MacDougall was caught.

That was how Justin found him a little while later when he arrived with his mother and sister at the advertising office.

“You look very smug, Mr. Kinney,” Justin said as he approached the desk. He walked around behind it giving Brian a kiss on the lips.

“My, this is much more formal than I thought it would be,” Jennifer said looking at the fine mahogany furniture and leather chairs.

“That’s because we didn’t pick it out,” Brian replied. “All this belonged to Brendan, the man who owned the townhouse.” Jennifer nodded. She obviously saw the similarity between the décor of both places.

“We’d like something more modern,” Justin informed her, “but we can’t afford to change anything right now.”

“The furniture is lovely,” Jennifer said running her hand over the back of one of the leather chairs. “So soft.”

“You think we should keep it?” Justin asked.

“It certainly looks very professional,” Jennifer replied. She appeared to be enjoying the look of their office.

“We may make some changes in the future,” Brian said, knowing they wanted to present a more modern and with-it image, when new clients came to their offices. “But it’s good to know that it meets with your approval.”

Jennifer smiled at her almost son-in-law. Justin seemed pleased at how well they were getting along.

“What do you think, Miss Molly?” Brian asked.

“It’s nice,” Molly said slowly, “but it’s kind of old fashioned.”

Brian sucked in his lips and looked pleased with himself. Those were his sentiments exactly.

The phone took that moment to buzz.

“Yes?” Brian said as he picked it up. “Show them in.”

“What is it?” Justin asked. He had seen the look of concern pass over Brian’s face.

“The police are back,” Brian stated flatly. He could only wonder which way this would go.

Detective Weatherley and his partner entered the office. They looked at all the assembled people.

“I think this would best be done in private,” the detective said.

Brian felt his stomach lurch at those words. It sounded like bad news was coming. “Justin is my partner. I want him here.”

“Ladies?” the detective asked looking from Jennifer to Molly for an indication that they were ready to leave the office.

“I’m staying with my son … and his partner,” Jennifer said defiantly.

“Me too,” Molly added with her own set to her jaw.

“Very well,” Detective Weatherley conceded.

“Just tell us what’s happened,” Brian stated. He wanted this over with one way or the other. He felt Justin’s hand slide into his. The gentle squeeze from his partner lent much needed support to Brian, and he hardly felt his sore knuckles at all.

“We’ve caught Angus MacDougall,” Weatherley began.

“Did he confess?” Justin asked quickly, hoping against hope that the man had. He held his breath as he waited for the answer.

Weatherley shook his head. “No, he told the Edinburgh police that he didn’t know Thierry Desmarais, and that he had never been in that hotel suite.”

Brian felt his heart skip a beat. Angus was going to get away with this. “But we know he was at the hotel on the night that Thierry died,” Brian said. He didn’t feel very much hope that that would mean much. Everything was going south.

“Yes, we know that he was in the hotel, but we needed to prove that he was in Thierry’s suite.”

“And you can’t do that,” Brian said with a sigh.

For the first time Weatherley smiled. “Yes, we can,” he said.

Brian’s emotions soared. Could this possibly be true, or was it some kind of setup to trap him? “How?” Brian asked.

Weatherley let a little smile curl the corners of his mouth. “We found some red hairs in the bed clothes in Thierry Desmarais’ suite,” he said. “They belong to Angus MacDougall.”

“Fuck!” Brian reacted. He didn’t know what other word to use. That meant that Angus had been in the room, in the bed, with Thierry.

“What did this Angus say to that?” Jennifer asked triumphantly. She knew this meant that her son’s partner was going to be cleared. She was happy and relieved for Justin … and for Brian. She had begun to enjoy Brian’s company, especially after their chat in the library.

“He fell apart,” Weatherley stated. “He had to admit that he was in the hotel room. He said that he had sex with Desmarais, but the man was not particularly happy about the experience.”

“Not happy?” Brian asked with a smirk. Served that fucking Angus right.

“No, Desmarais apparently made some crack about how someone who had been forced to leave the quoin really knew how to please his customers, someone named Druid.” Weatherley looked at Brian who merely smirked. “After that they got into a bit of a shouting match. Desmarais ordered Angus out without paying him. That’s when a struggle over Desmarais’ wallet led to Angus punching the man and forcing him down onto the bed. According to Angus, he was only trying to shut Desmarais up when he started shouting for help. He said he inadvertently strangled him.”

“How do you inadvertently strangle someone?” Brian asked.

Weatherley shook his head. “I think that won’t be much of a defense.”

“It better not be,” Justin threw in.

“Anyway,” Weatherley said, “I thought you would like to know that we have our man, and the crime is solved.”

“Thanks, thank you,” Brian said stepping forward to shake the detective’s hand. “I appreciate you coming here to let us know.”

Weatherley nodded as he shook Brian’s hand. Then he turned and with a nod to the ladies, he left the office. His faithful and silent sidekick followed obediently.

“It’s all over,” Justin said launching himself into Brian’s arms. “You’re free and clear.”

“I was beginning to think I might never hear those words,” Brian admitted as he kissed Justin on the lips.

“I knew it all the time,” Molly averred. “You wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“Thank you for that vote of confidence, Miss Molly,” Brian said with a smile at the girl. “I wouldn’t have been able to get through this without support from … all of you.”

“I’m so happy our support wasn’t misplaced,” Jennifer said with a warm smile.

“Are you done for the day?” Justin asked Brian. “I think we need to go out for a great dinner and a bottle of champagne to celebrate.”

“I knew I kept you around for a reason,” Brian said. “You have the best ideas.”

“You bet your ass I do.”

With arms around each other Brian and Justin headed for the car, followed by Jennifer and Molly who were basking in the happiness of the two men.



*****



“This is where most of my classes are held,” Justin said as he ushered his mother, Molly and Brian into the work area at the art school.

“I can’t wait to see this painting,” Jennifer said.

“I think it’s finally finished,” Justin said.

“Hi, Justin,” a voice said from across the space. Maria stepped out from behind her easel.

“I didn’t know you were here,” Justin said with a big smile for his friend. “Come over here and meet my mom, my sister and Brian.”

Maria came across the room and shook hands with them all while Justin made sure they all knew a little bit about Maria.

“So you’re the infamous Brian,” Maria said shyly when Brian shook her hand.

“That would be me.” Brian gave her his best smile, the one that melted everyone male or female, well everyone except Jennifer Taylor in the beginning.

“You’re almost as good looking in person as Justin paints you in his pictures,” Maria added then blushed at her boldness.

“I like to think I live up to Justin’s vision of me.” Brian didn’t smirk when he said that. Surprising even himself, he found that he meant every word.

“Maria, can we see your painting?” Justin asked.

“Um … I guess so.”

“Maria is so talented,” Justin gushed as they crossed the room to view Maria’s painting of Down the Drain. She explained her concept and how she was kind of pleased with the way it had turned out.

Jennifer was very impressed. Molly gushed as she spotted the little flowers, people and scenes hidden in the blotches of paint as they were about to go down the drain. Brian studied the painting carefully.

“That is very clever … unique. Well done, young lady,” he said.

“Thanks,” Maria said with a warm smile. “He’s definitely a keeper,” she whispered to Justin.

“I agree,” Justin replied. “Anybody interested in my painting?”

“Of course, honey,” Jennifer said. “That’s why we came.”

The group moved over to Justin’s slot where he extracted his finished painting and set it up on an easel. “I call it Examining the Empty Spaces,” Justin informed them. They had already been told about the premise of the paintings while they were looking at Maria’s.

“Justin’s work is so good,” Maria said looking at Justin with admiration.

“Yours is pretty good too,” Brian reminded her. “But I think Justin’s is better because I’m in the painting,” Brian stated smugly.

“You are so conceited,” Justin said swatting his lover.

“That is so good, Jester,” Molly said as she studied each of the sections of the painting. “Cool!”

“Thanks, Mollusk,” Justin beamed.

“I think it’s quite wonderful,” Jennifer stated giving her son a hug. “You are so talented, both of you.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Taylor,” Maria said.

“We better get going,” Justin said. “We’re going to dinner.”

“Would you like to join us?” Brian offered.

“Oh, I couldn’t,” Maria replied. “I’m not dressed.”

“We’re not going anywhere too fancy, but you might want to lose the paint covered smock.”

“Yeah, come with us, Maria,” Justin asked.

“Well…”

“Please?” Molly added. “I love your painting.”

“Okay,” Maria agreed as she put her painting away, as did Justin. She took off her smock and grabbed her bag.

They headed out to have a convivial dinner and enjoy the camaraderie.



*****



It had been a few days since Molly and Jennifer had flown back to the States.

Brian and Justin were lying in their bed on a lazy Sunday morning. They had just had a rather vigorous wake up call that had greatly satisfied both of them. Now they were recuperating and trying to decide if the need for food was worth the effort of getting up.

“I miss Mom and Molly,” Justin said after a long pause.

“I kind of miss them too,” Brian admitted with his crooked little smile.

“You and Mom really hit it off,” Justin observed, “after that time you spent with her in the library. What did you tell her that turned her around?”

“That’s one of my many secrets,” Brian said smugly.

“You’re not supposed to have secrets from your partner.”

“I thought you were my lover.”

“And it’s okay to have secrets from your lover?” Justin asked indignantly.

Brian nodded and waited for the reaction. Justin pounced on him, kissing him mercilessly.

“Okay, okay,” Brian agreed, “no secrets from lovers or partners.”

“I think you better change that to the singular,” Justin warned as he lay atop Brian.

“No secrets from my lover and partner,” Brian said contritely.

“Much better,” Justin agreed with one of his sunshine smiles. “So, what did you tell her … after you got her drunk?”

Brian chuckled. “That was a stroke of genius, wasn’t it?” Justin gave him a gentle swat. “Well,” Brian said slowly, “I knew she was a mother…”

“Yes, and…?”

“I played the poor little boy card.”

“You didn’t!”

“For you I would do anything,” Brian declared.

Justin’s eyes were wide as he studied Brian’s face. He knew how traumatic and terrible the story of Brian’s youth was, especially for Brian. It had taken a lot for Brian to tell him. He couldn’t imagine how hard it would be for Brian to tell his mother about how Quinn found him on the streets, and how his early adolescent years had been spent.

“You did that for me!”

“I had to win her over somehow,” Brian said making a face. “I … didn’t much like the idea of you going back to the States with her.”

“I’ll never leave you.”

“She was pretty convincing about how she would get you to do just that,” Brian explained.

“So you played your trump card.”

“Such as it is.”

“And she turned to the dark side as a result,” Justin quipped.

“Not exactly.”

“There’s more?”

“She still threatened to take you back to the States with her, even though I knew she had softened a little bit … after my tale of woe.”

“So what did you do?”

“I told her that if you went back to the States, I was coming with you.”

“You didn’t!” Justin reacted, a big grin spreading across his beautiful face.

“I did,” Brian replied firmly. “I told her I’d sell up here and move to Pittsburgh. You’re my partner and she couldn’t get rid of me that easily.”

“I love you so much,” Justin gushed. His smile was beyond radiant.

“I love you right back,” Brian stated. “I couldn’t stand the thought that you might leave.”

“You don’t ever have to worry about that,” Justin told him emphatically.

“Yeah, but if I was sent to jail as a murderer, who would run Triskele?” Brian asked his tongue in his cheek.

“I could run it till you got out.”

“Could you now?”

“I knew you were innocent. It was all going to work out.”

“I wish I had half your optimism.”

“You can have half of everything I am and everything I have,” Justin declared.

A genuine smile slowly spread across Brian’s face. “You know, I don’t think I’m ready for food just yet. There’s another kind of sustenance I need.”

“Can you get it right here in bed?” Justin asked with a wicked grin.

“Definitely, if I have the cooperation of my lover and partner from whom I have no secrets.”

“You are getting so lucky, Mr. Kinney,” Justin said with a huge grin. He slid down Brian’s body to find the instrument of pleasure hiding under the sheets. It was going to be a glorious morning. It was going to be a glorious life … together



This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=701