Gift of the Magi: Revisited by mandagrammy
Summary:

Justin has come back into Brian's life after the Ethan fiasco and Christmas is fast approaching.  Both men want to show how grateful they are to be back together so they want to buy the perfect gift for one another.  This story is inspired by the classic short story "Gift of the Magi".  I want to thank Heather for her fine beta work and Eka for the wonderful banner. 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor
Tags: Christmas
Genres: Could be Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3298 Read: 701 Published: Dec 17, 2016 Updated: Dec 17, 2016
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.    

1. Chapter 1 by mandagrammy

Chapter 1 by mandagrammy

It had been a really rough year for Brian Kinney. He had lost his 'relationship' with Justin to the Fiddle Fuck, punched out his best friend, played a tiny little role in revealing his rival's weaknesses which had slowly but surely gotten his Sunshine back into his life, and then lost his job and financial future thanks to that same wonderful brat's exercise in conscience that he inflicted onto Brian. He was pretty sure that he never would have lost the Stockwell account or his job if Justin hadn't worked his magic on him. Not that he was complaining. He was flat broke and jobless, but he did still have Justin and that was an awful lot to have.

But now Christmas was rapidly approaching. Stockwell had lost the election in early November, but nothing had gotten better for Brian yet. He was still living on his savings and no job worth taking had cropped up. The only thing that kept Brian from quitting and heading for New York City to look for better offers was Justin. He would certainly never tell the little pain in the ass how important he was to Brian's sanity, but he could certainly show him how he felt. Nothing in the rules against that, he had thought to himself. But what in the hell could he do for the kid? He wanted to give him something special for Christmas, something he seldom did for anybody else except his special co-workers like Cynthia or the Novotny family. But what could he do?

Then he had noticed Justin's artist's case left in the corner of the bedroom when he brought it over one night before going to Babylon, one of the few pleasures Brian still allowed himself despite his financial problems. Justin had gotten the case full of artist's supplies as a gift from Mel and Linds when he first thought he would be going to the PIFA. It had become one of his dearest possessions, although the poor kid had stopped using it during the terrible period when he was convinced he'd never draw again after the bashing. He had only started to use the case and supplies again after Brian had introduced him to electronic artistry. The wooden box had been badly damaged by Justin in a fit of rage one night not long after his release from the hospital. It was a mistake he had regretted badly. The case was now kept together by an elastic cord wrapped tightly around it like the kind used to hold things down on a bicycle. It was cumbersome but Justin never complained out of guilt for having damaged the thing himself. When he noticed the case, Brian decided that it was time Justin had a really nice new case for his brushes and artists tools.

A quick check on the internet revealed a beautiful all leather case that fit Brian's wishes to a tee. It was pricey but Justin was an artist who deserved the best as far as Brian was concerned. Now the only problem was figuring out how to afford the darn thing. The cost of the case was most definitely not in Brian's budget for this year. He was within a month of savings before he'd be forced to sell his loft and get something much more reasonable unless a job miraculously appeared quickly. Brian had looked all over his loft at what little he had left. Maybe he could sell something that he didn't really need anymore...anything but his bed, of course. That's when he spotted the small display case in the corner of his living room. The huge plasma television that he had been forced to return to the store for credit had stood next to the case and he had thoroughly looked forward to watching his complete collection of Marlon Brando DVD's on that set. They now sat in the case with nowhere to go since Brian was now devoid of a TV set or DVD player. The last DVD he'd enjoyed had been "One Eyed Jacks" and he could still remember seeing Justin standing in the door frame that day he had come over to thank Brian for paying his tuition, which he had done even though they had parted ways.

As Brian stared at the display case with its volumes of Brando DVD's, it dawned on Brian that this was a sellable item. The discs were in pristine condition and there were countless Brando aficionados like him that would pay a decent price for a complete collection like he had. Hell, Brian thought, he'd be back on his feet in no time. He'd just rebuild his library then. In the meantime he could show Justin how much he cared about him by buying the case and it wouldn't be any money out of his already tight budget. The decision made, Brian began to catalog his collection. Once he had it completed he headed onto his favorite online auction site and placed a brilliantly worded ad to sell his beloved collection.

***************************************************

Justin had been upset. Christmas was right around the corner and this Christmas was going to be so perfect. He had Brian back in his life and they were closer than ever. They were a couple, whether Brian wanted to call it that or not. He wanted more than anything to show Brian how much he loved him. Normally he would feel in a quandary trying to decide what to get someone who has everything, but not this year. This year the problem wasn't getting something Brian already had since he didn't have hardly anything. He still had his fashionable clothes and beloved bed, of course, but that was just about it. The problem was in deciding what to get Brian that he had lost and was really missing and to do it within his very limited income.

Justin was barely scraping by with his job at the diner. He could pay his rent with Daphne and his necessities but that was about it. Soooo, the truth was that he didn't know what to buy Brian OR how to pay for it, even if he knew what to buy. Christmas was rapidly approaching and Justin had almost reached the point of utter frustration when he was hit with a brainstorm. It happened the day he finally unpacked the computer that Brian had bought him to help with his drawings. As he stared at the unit sitting on the borrowed desk in Daphne's living room, it dawned on him that he could use the computer for most of his future artwork. He reeeally didn't want to give up the set of brushes and art supplies that Mel and Linds had bought him a couple of years before. He loved the gift that they had given him with such pride in his work and belief in his future, he really didn't use the case full of goodies nearly as much as he wanted to because of the damage to his hand. As long as he was careful not to let the girls know what he had done until he could afford to replace the kit in the future, he wouldn't have to feel guilty for selling the contents for enough to give him spending money. The thought of giving Brian something special to show his love was all the incentive he needed to go to his favorite art supply store where even used items could fetch a fair price if they were in top condition.

It took Justin several more days to decide what to get Brian. One night he had teased Brian about staying home from Babylon and saving his money so he could afford a nice Christmas dinner. When Brian asked what else they could do for entertainment , in a leering way of course, Justin had proceeded to give him a torrid sample of extracurricular activities available to them that left both men totally worn out. After a reviving shower, they had settled on the large throw rug that used to lay in front of Brian's large screen TV. As they lay together talking about future plans and dreams for them both, Justin reflected back on the many nights that he and Brian had lain in this same spot or on the comfortable, oversized sofa and watched Brian's favorite DVD's. He had one collection he was most fond of because the films starred his number one favorite actor of all time...Marlon Brando. A light bulb went off over Justin's head. He certainly couldn't afford the kind of giant screened television set that Brian had lost possession of but he had earned enough from the sale of his art equipment to afford a smaller television with a built in DVD player. Then Brian could at least indulge in marathon Brando nights whenever he was at his most depressed because of the way things were going. The decision was made. Now all he had to do was wait for Christmas day.

************************************************

Christmas Day loomed with several inches of pristine white snow laying on the ground from a late night snowstorm the night before. Justin had spent Christmas Eve with Brian, lying in his warm embrace. The men had promised to have Christmas dinner at the Novotny house but the rest of the day would be spent keeping promises to visit Jennifer Taylor's home for a cup of eggnog and a little Christmas cheer and then include a visit to the Marcus/Peterson household to spend some quality time with Brian's son, Gus. Brian longed to just sink under the covers with some good Jim Beam, poppers, an ample supply of condoms, and his favorite hot blond, but he had made promises to Justin and the others and he intended to keep them. Anything to keep his...dare he say it...'partner' happy. He certainly wanted Justin in a good mood when he sprang his surprise gift on him.

Justin had awakened Christmas morning feeling happier than he had ever remembered feeling on a Christmas Day. He had Brian in his life and the man had made it clear that he wanted him to stay in his life for a long time to come. And now he knew he had a special gift to offer his lover that would really make the old 'bah, humbugger' very happy. All they needed to do was get through all the family obligations and tonight they would be alone. Justin was ready to get the day started. Tonight was going to be his and Brian's REAL celebration.

The rest of Christmas day dragged by despite the fact that both Brian and Justin wanted nothing more than to get to the end of it. It wasn't that they didn't enjoy being with their friends and family. They actually had quite a good time in all three households, but they both had something more important on their mind the whole time. Justin had managed to talk Michael into taking the 20" TV/DVD player he'd bought for Brian from its hiding place at Debbie's house while the men were on their way over for their visit with the Novotny's. It was very convenient since Michael still had a key to the loft.

The dinner with Debbie and family had been delicious, but Brian and Justin were more than happy to cut their visit off with the last bite of pumpkin pie. A big hug and kiss for everyone and the lovers were back on their way home to the loft. Justin could barely contain his excitement. Neither man had said a word about exchanging gifts, but now all they could think of was how the other would react when they saw what was waiting for them at the loft.

The ride up in the elevator was a prelude of things to come. Brian had grabbed Justin the instant the gate on the elevator slid shut. By the time the elevator reached the top floor, Justin could barely catch his breath. Brian had planted a passionate kiss on the young man's lips that would leave a lasting impression for some time to come. Justin's head was giddy with the thoughts of the delights Brian was going to offer him on this Yuletide night. Brian all but carried Justin to the loft door and slid it open as quickly as was humanly possible. The minute the door slid shut, Brian began devouring Justin's mouth with warm, heartfelt kisses.

Justin suddenly realized that he would be lost if he gave in to Brian's ardor. He needed a cool head if he was ever going to give Brian his gift before the night ended. He reluctantly pulled himself out of Brian's tight embrace, leaving a puzzled Brian standing with empty arms.

"Whoa, Sunshine. Did I do something wrong?"

Justin stepped back to Brian and planted a gentle kiss on his cheek. "No! No, of course not, Bri. I just wanted to take care of something else before we....well, you know, get distracted."

Justin's words reminded Brian that he had something he wanted to take care of too. Better now than later, he decided.

"You're right, Justin. So what is this something else that you have to take care of...and it better not have anything to do with leaving me for the night, young man," he growled.

"Okay! Now I know we never talked about exchanging gifts...but, well I thought of something I wanted you to have and I couldn't resist. And so help me God, if you get pissed at me for buying you something, I'll lay a "Bah Humbug" curse on you that will last till the end of your life. Are you listening?"

Brian couldn't help laughing at the stern look that marred Justin's beautiful face.

"Okay, okay! And yes, I'm listening. Now you listen. I thought of something too and the same curse will be on you if you get pissed at me for getting you a gift. Sooo...do we have a deal?"

Justin's face softened. "Deal!" he answered emphatically.

Justin moved over to the nook behind Brian's computer desk where Michael had said he put the box with the set in it and removed the duvet that Mikey had thrown over it to hide the large box from view. Brian went into the bedroom and rummaged in the back of his closet until he had the gorgeous brown leather artist's supply case in his hands. Brian stepped back towards the front of the loft when he saw Justin standing near his computer desk, obviously trying to hide something behind him. He approached Justin with the case behind his back.

When Brian was standing right in front of Justin he brought the case out from behind him just as Justin stepped away from the large object on the floor. Justin saw the beautiful case at the same moment that Brian read the words on the box behind Justin...20" Panasonic TV/DVD combo.

Justin was the first to recover from the surprise. "Oh, Brian! It's beautiful! " He reached out to take the case from Brian's hands. He looked at the perfect stitching on the case and marvelled at the smooth feel and rich, dark brown of the leather. He unlocked the clasp and saw the roomy insides that had been separated into sections to hold all his brushes and other artist's tools. The tears began to well in his eyes. He turned around to Brian who was carefully removing the new set from its box and setting it on the floor.

Brian stood up and looked at his lover. He saw the young man's tears and it frightened him. "Justin, what's wrong. I'm sorry. I thought you'd like something to keep your painting equipment in that didn't have to be tied up every time you needed to move it. Did I make a bad choice?" Concern was clear in his voice.

Justin tried valiantly to smile through his tears. "Oh God, Brian! It's beautiful. I love it to death. I'll be the envy of every artist in the city. But how could you afford this?" He caressed the case lovingly. "I've priced these before. Cases like this cost a small fortune."

"I know...but you're worth it. Now you can tell me...what made you think of buying me a television set?"

"Well, I knew that you had to give back your monster set and I wanted you to have something to watch your Brando DVD's on. I couldn't afford a fifty incher but I figured this would do until you were back on top...which I have no doubt you will be soon."

When Brian realized what Justin had done for him his eyes began to mist over slightly too. He figured the lad had either borrowed the money for the set or used every dime of his tip money and then some to be able to afford it. He gave Justin a crushing hug and firmly planted kiss before picking up the set to place it on the floor in the spot that had recently been vacated by his previous unit. Justin came up behind him still holding tightly to his new case. Brian turned to Justin once he had plugged the new set into the wall and saw him holding the case.

"Justin, why don't you go get your old case...it should still be in the corner next to the bed where you last left it...and you can put your stuff into the new case? Then we can throw the messed up case out. Then we can settle down and see what's on television tonight."

"I have a better idea. Why don't you get out some of your favorite Brando flicks and show me why you have such a crush on the man," Justin laughed, hoping to distract Brian from the case.

Brian hesitated. Justin started over to the small storage case near the wall to see if he could pick out something he thought Brian would enjoy. Before Brian could stop him, Justin had opened the wooden cabinet door and looked in. He was reaching for a DVD as he opened it and was shocked to see all four shelves completely barren. He turned to Brian, who was fast approaching behind him.

"Brian? Where's your collection?" Suddenly a light bulb went off over Justin's head. "You didn't? Tell me you didn't give up your collection just to get me a new case?"

"Okay. I won't tell you! So now, what program would you like to watch on my brand new television set complete with built in DVD player?" Brian laughed. "Shall we watch a Christmas cartoon or tune to Christmas music? Tell me the channel and I'll tune it in while you go get your old case. I'll help you put your stuff up in the new one, if you'll let me."

Justin didn't care if Brian thought he was a wuss. He couldn't stop from letting the tears flow. "I can't get the old case out, Bri. The case is there but nothing is in it anymore. I sold all my tools and brushes to have enough to get the television."

The two men stood staring at each other, realizing how much each man had sacrificed in order to please the other. That thought brought a surge of emotion that served as a magnet, drawing the men together where they embraced with all the love they felt for one another. This Christmas night they made love with a renewed sense of their worth to each other. It didn't matter what trials and tribulations they might face in the coming years. The one thing that they knew on this special night was that they were a part of each other and always would be forever and ever.

THE END

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=744