Having My Baby by starlight
Summary:

Two years after Justin leaves, Brian decides that living apart isn't what he wants. He makes his move to be together. What if that happens along with an offer from a friend to have a baby.

Lorie thank you for doing what you do for me as my beta, the readers probably thank you too.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: Post-series, What if...
Genres: Angst, Canon, Drama, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 41 Completed: Yes Word count: 96359 Read: 296080 Published: Dec 18, 2016 Updated: Aug 26, 2018
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

34. Chapter 34 by starlight

35. Chapter 35 by starlight

36. Chapter 36 by starlight

37. Chapter 37 by starlight

38. Chapter 38 by starlight

39. Chapter 39 by starlight

40. Chapter 40 by starlight

41. Chapter 41 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I was thinking what if and this is what I came up with. Unlike most of what I write, this time there's no 'anti', but it's not going to be all happy, otherwise I couldn't write it.

 

BRIAN

 

I divide my life in two parts, before Justin and after Justin. So in a nutshell that means Justin changed my life significantly, not that I admitted he did for five long years.

 

See, until Justin, no one expected much, and I delivered in spades. Living in my childhood home made me understand that wanting love was painful. So when anyone wanted my love, I just remembered the lessons I learned in the home of Jack Kinney, love isn’t worth broken bones and disappointment. My life was easy that way, no one to disappoint.

 

My friendship with Michael was easy because I realized he never looked underneath my bravado to see how bad my life was. Michael hung on every word because he thought it would get him more. Did I know he wanted more, yes, but he was my best friend, anything else would have been impossible. Michael was too scared to risk it all for fear of finding out the truth, which is that I wasn’t pretending, I didn't want a relationship with him. I've always known that the person for me was the one I would run after, not the one following me. I know if Michael thought I would agree to give him what he wants then David and Ben wouldn’t have existed, because Michael would want to show me he was waiting. Was I jealous when David came along, somewhat, but more because Michael was becoming someone I couldn’t respect. I didn’t do all that work to have him become Dr David's bimbo. Now Ben was more about a disease that could kill Michael, otherwise I liked Ben. Ben was able to overlook Michael’s needy side and find something worth loving. Michael unfortunately seemed to think his idea of a relationship was the only right way. In the end we forgave each other, but our relationship will never recover from the words we used that night in his kitchen.

 

I heard what he told me, that I was unlovable. I went there, not to see Michael, but because Justin was there and where he was, I was. When I got there instead of falling to my knees and begging Justin to come home, I saw red. They were helping him leave me. I let the pain I felt flood every word that came out. Michael, instead of being a friend, yelled so Justin could hear that I'd never be what he needed. Michael was still making sure Justin knew I wouldn't change for HIM. My theory on Michael is that he is still waiting for me to change for him. Too bad, because if he paid better attention he would realize there was only one person that I would change for, Justin.

 

Now let's get to Emmett. Emmett and I had an antagonistic relationship because he could see the things I hid if he got closer. So I keep him bickering at me because he's optimistic enough to try to help when I didn’t want it. My feelings changed for Emmett when I feared his optimism would get him killed. He was willing to follow Teddy into hell and I needed Emmett to keep showing me there was good in the world, so I saved a man who has never figured out he was my friend. Emmett told you what you needed to hear not what you wanted. Strange as it sounds, Emmett could have been my first relationship if Michael hadn’t been around. We wouldn't have lasted because Emmett would have followed me to hell and no one would have stopped him. I saw it as saving Emmett.

 

Ted. What do you say about Ted? Reliable, steadfast, and to willing to believe he was lucky when people paid attention to him. I'll be honest, at first I didn’t like the guy, but over time he grew on me. Unlike Michael, Ted hung out with me when… let's forget that time. He hung out and reaped the benefits of my cast offs. Ted definitely could be smart for that one because he was getting laid by standing by me. I found out that Ted is the guy who can talk sense when he wants to, but seems to suffer from low self esteem. Instead of using the things that made him a desirable partner, he saw them as bad. He’s a kick ass accountant for god's sake, use it. I know I did. In the end he became the man I never believed it was possible for him to become. No real theory, just proud of Theodore.

 

Lindsay gave me Gus. Other than that, not a lot to say. Okay so she played in my fantasy world with me, but couldn’t leave the fantasy where it belonged. Instead of paying attention to Mel she leaned on me, even I question why. Lindsay wanted Mel for home and me for the parents to gush over. The part she kept forgetting was that Mel needed her to put Mel first. I believe it led to their problems, because she ran to me instead of Mel. If she had been smarter she would have slammed the door in Sam's face, not let Mel see a melodrama in the driveway. I think she was trying to figure out if she wanted to go with Sam, not telling him goodbye. He was offering her the dream she once had and Mel was offering real life. She could be Wendy with Sam but not Mel. Mel and Lindsay moving to Canada is their last ditch effort to fix a relationship so broken the pieces are scattered in the wind. At least they take care of the kids, which if I'm being truthful, is all I care about.

 

So we get to Justin, he's an enigma. He can be kind, gentle, funny, or in your face. He brings grey into a world I saw as black and white. When we parted that first morning, I was done, he wasn't. Did I like him chasing me, sort of, but in a way it was the same old, same old. Fuck a guy, they plan your life. The thing was he didn’t sit around like Michael waiting his turn, he checked out the scenery. That had me checking him out more. He went from annoying to interesting as we progressed. I found that he didn’t pretend to be interested in things because I was, he wanted to see what was out there. Justin made me want to care and that made me push him away as much as possible. He understood me and pushed back. When we took a break, because that was what that was, he was still there in his way and I was in mine. It's when my friendship with Michael started to wane. Michael seemed to take it as an insult that Justin walked away from what he'd alway wanted. Justin needed something more than I was willing to give and once again needed to experience life. I think that if Michael had just minded his own business, I would have let Justin keep his secret, because it was bound to fail eventually. I knew what we had was worth waiting for him to see. In a way, dancing in front of Michael was rubbing in his face what he did to me. See, Justin knew he was the one, just needed to hear it once in awhile, but I saw it as giving him my heart in his hands. I think the night of the bombing brought home where my priorities lie, because who did I look for, Justin. I realize he could have died and I never said something as simple as I love you to him. Out of all of them, he deserved to hear it and I was too chicken shit to say it to the one person who should have heard it from me. I love you could have solved problems that would never have existed with three simple words. Now I've said it, it gets easier to keep telling him.

 

I let him go to do what he needs for himself but here's the thing, I need him. So for the first time in our relationship I'm making a move.

 

“All passengers boarding the flight to New York, may now board.”

 

Guess I'm going to find out if the Big Apple is ready for the “Brian and Justin” show. Hope Justin isn't too surprised when all my shit arrives at his door.    

 

JUSTIN

 

The banging on my apartment door scared the hell out of me. I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I carefully opened the door to a guy with a clipboard.

 

“Justin Kinney?” He asks me.

 

“Sure.” I tell him, figuring this was Brian’s idea of a joke.

 

“I have ten boxes, where do you want them?” He tells me.

 

“Just put them in the corner.” I tell him.

 

“You're going to need more room than that.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask him.

 

“I'll start bringing them in and you can decide where they go.” He tells me walking down the steps.

 

I stand at the door as the first box comes in and decide Mr Kinney has some explaining to do. By the time he's finished I have to climb over boxes just to get around. I tear into the first box to see suits? I start tearing into the other boxes and stare stunned. Why is everything Brian owns in my apartment?

 

I started putting the stuff away so I could cook dinner because Brian left a note in the third box that he was on his way. We've talked about this, but Kinnetik wasn’t ready for this move. After two years of traveling back and forth I was ready to go home and hinted to Brian about it. I could work anywhere he couldn't, or so I thought. I guess I'll find out what's going on when he gets here.

 

TED

 

“I wonder if he's arrived yet?” Blake asks me.

 

“I'm sure Justin’s figured it out, when half the loft got to his place.” I tell him.

 

“I think Justin wanted to come home.” Blake tells me.

 

“Brian’s ready to make the move, so hopefully Justin will want to stay.” I tell him.

 

Brian has been working like a man possessed to make this move. He was ready to begin the life they promised each other. Emmett and I cheered him on. Michael wanted Justin to come back here so we could all be together. Brian wanted a chance to fulfill his dream of getting out of the Pitts. Michael seems to accept Brian moving but I can tell it scares him that Brian isn't where Michael can get to him. What's weird is Michael gave Brian permission to go, like Brian needed him to do that.

 

Lindsay seems excited that Brian moved to be with Justin. I'm still trying to figure out why. Mel has been rethinking the whole Canadian adventure. I told her it was a bad idea, but they kept convincing themselves it was the answer to their problems. Unsolved problems don't disappear, just hide and come out when you least expect it.

 

 

Me, I think Brian needs to do this because Justin is his whole world and to me it's time for their story to get its happily ever after. Staying here will just leave them both solving everyone's problems, because it's how they operate. Brian the ‘in your face truth guy’ and Justin, who tempers the truth until you see what Brian was telling you. They need to be less accessible, if they want to have time for each other. So I was behind Brian when he wanted to go. I'll miss him around the office but he's still there.

 

EMMETT

 

I wish Brian had gotten pictures of Justin when his stuff showed up at Justin’s door. Brian finally saw that life is where your partner is. Not that he didn’t want to be with Justin. Just that Justin needed to be where Brian couldn’t be yet. I hated that they never married each other, but really, a ring doesn’t prove anything. To me it shows their belief in each other, that no vow would have proved. They didn't need conventional beliefs to know what they had would last, not that I think marriage is wrong just that it's a paper we pay for to say we’re committed to someone. To me, committing is the faith you have in each other and what stronger way than to do that then keeping a relationship alive in two different states.  

 

I listen to Michael tell Brian he could go, like somehow without Michael’s approval Brian wouldn’t go. Michael was suddenly all for it and I really wondered why. Unfortunately for me, he wanted to share his knowledge.

 

“When they get married they’ll finally understand they need to grow up. Marriage will show them what I was trying to tell them all along. Brian and Justin will see they need to move back here if they want a real family life.” Michael tells me smiling.

 

“Honey, I really think Brian plans to make a go of New York for Kinnetik.” I tell him.

 

“He can hire people to oversee that. Justin also needs to see that Rage needs attention and sending things back and forth takes too long. Why he couldn’t just stay here and work on our comic is what I want to know.” He tells me.

 

“He wanted to explore painting.” I tell him.

 

“He could have done that on the side and stayed here so we could make Rage as big as Captain Astro.” He tells me.

 

“Michael, that’s your dream, not Justin’s.” I tell him.

 

“Please, because of Rage, he got to invent the relationship he wanted with Brian, I gave him that.” He tells me.

 

“He has the relationship he wants with Brian.” I tell him.

 

“Until they screw up again then I have to help them fix it.” He tells me.

 

At that point I knew that Michael would never see that he tended to screw up things between Brian and Justin, not fix them. I just patted Michael like a good puppy and went to get another cosmo. Michael honestly likes Justin but can’t see that he isn’t the reason Brian and Justin work. Brian moving will just show Michael that Brian is capable without Mikey holding his hand.

 

MEL

 

Lindsay was walking around on air when she found out that Brian was moving to New York. I worried that she would get upset that Brian once again showed Justin was who he wanted but she seems okay with it. I had to ask because our relationship was going well since that announcement.

 

“You think it’s a good thing?” I asked her.

 

“Of course, Justin won’t have to give up becoming successful if Brian helps him by moving.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay, Justin’s been in New York for two years without Brian helping him.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, trust me, Brian was helping him pay for things, and he should, because Justin stuck by Brian when he needed him.” She tells me.

 

“Justin paid his own way, no help from Brian, and before you try to contradict me remember Ted does his finances and I deal with legal issues for him.” I tell her.

 

“I doubt they would tell us that Brian pays for things.” She tells me rolling her eyes.

 

“He didn’t Lindsay, Justin wanted to do this on his own. Be proud that he did, not act like he had to be helped to accomplish his goals.” I tell her.

 

“Like me, who never became the artist I thought I was.” She tells me.

 

“You stopped trying, I don’t get that. We can afford for you not to work and devote your time to art. Why not do that instead of living through Justin?” I ask her.

 

“I just can’t paint like he does.” She tells me.

 

“Paint like you do and keep going until you're happy with it. Justin could probably give you lessons in fighting to do what you love.” I tell her.

 

“I want my art to just come alive, not paint until something looks good. You don’t understand what it’s like to paint and know no one sees it as magnificent. Justin does it effortlessly.” She tells me.

 

“Justin does it because he wants to express himself. You seem to do it for people who don’t exist.” I tell her and hear Jenny starting to whimper.

 

“I’ll go be a mother, which I seem to be good at.” She says sharply.

 

“Lindsay, I didn’t mean you weren’t good just that…” I give up, she isn’t going to hear it anyway.

 

Why can’t she see that being an artist isn’t about becoming famous but expressing herself? I think it was hard on her to see Justin doing what she never could, breathing life in a painting. Lindsay’s paintings are good, just nothing earth shattering. I think it’s because she never had to struggle for things.

 

Brian actually told me first that he was going to move to be with Justin. I love Justin and Justin loves Brian so I was happy for them. Brian isn’t the antichrist, just a man who fell in love and grew up for the man he loved. I found I could respect him for that. Justin is Brian’s saving grace because he smooths out all of Brian’s edges. I will always wonder what would have happened if I had asked Justin to be Jenny’s father. I know that none of the shit with Michael would have happened, but then I would have wanted Justin to be a part of Jenny’s life. Michael isn’t a bad father in any way, unless it’s financial. God, I hate that I think that, because I know if I had choosen Justin he would have worked ten jobs to take care of his child and Michael doesn’t think like that.

 

I wanted to talk to Justin because I want one more child before I get too old to carry anymore. I want to do it the right way this time. I don’t even know how to bring this up to Lindsay. I think with my job being less stressful but paying better, I could take it easy this time and really enjoy being pregnant. The other question is would Brian let Justin do this with me?



Chapter 2 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I stood outside Justin’s door and knew this was the right decision. Justin had started talking about coming back to Pittsburgh and that was when I realized I had to do what was best for us. Living there tends to bring everyone to our door and we need a life that's less about our friends and more about us. Do I see us living here forever, no, just until we are ready to go back. I just need to convince him of this, because I know he misses everyone, but we can visit. The door opens while I'm still thinking of arguments why we should live here.

 

 

“So, care to explain why you sent all your stuff here?” Justin asks me, smiling his sunshine smile.

 

 

“I figured I would need to have my stuff if I stayed here for good.” I tell him, pushing us in and closing the door.

 

 

“You didn’t tell me you were planning to move here, did you?” He asks me between kisses.

 

 

“It seemed easier to just do what we needed and let you argue after it’s done.” I tell him.

 

 

“Are you really moving here? I was willing to come home.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin, I want us to be together, not running between here and Pittsburgh.” I tell him pulling us down on the sofa.

 

 

“I thought you said Kinnetik needed more time to expand?” He asks me.

 

 

“I’m not setting up an entire business, just a branch. All the work will be done in Pittsburgh and Ted and Cynthia will be coming here to help when I need it.” I tell him.

 

 

“We should have discussed this when I brought up selling the house.” He tells me.

 

 

“We aren’t selling it Justin, I bought it for you and one day we’ll live there. Right now I want to be where you are. You have to admit the phone conversations and skype are getting old.” I tell him.

 

 

“What about your loft and…?” I stop him with my hand over his lips.

 

 

“What about being together? I think we need to do this and I want to do it without us having to run and save everyone from their problems. We are still going to see our friends, but Justin, this will be the first time it’s just us.” I tell him.

 

 

“We’re closer to Gus here.” He concedes.

 

 

“If we live here then Gus can see us together, not separately because we can’t line up our schedules.” I tell him.

 

 

“I want us to be together but I also miss hanging out with everyone.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin, if you move back to Pittsburgh, Michael will be there all the time. Emmett will show up and want to do things and Deb will expect us to be at her house all the time. I want us to be able to sit home on a Sunday and read the paper or make love all day because no one is standing outside the door wanting to invite us to shitty dinner parties with Marvin and Eddy.” I tell him to get him to see what we’d be dealing with.

 

 

“Monty and Eli definitely make me want to stay here.” He tells me smiling.

 

 

“I also think that as much as they all mean well, they tend to feel that we should solve everything for them. I want us to work on us, not everyone else.” I tell him.

 

 

“Brian, I’m good with what you want. Hell, I was good the minute the boxes started arriving.” He tells me getting up and taking off his shirt.

 

 

“So we at least stay for a year and reevaluate than.” I tell him.

 

 

“If you want to keep convincing me you can do it naked. I’m not listening to another thing until I see nothing but skin.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’m good with that.” I tell him and follow him to the bedroom, stripping along the way. Justin always comes up with some award winning ideas.

 

 

MEL

 

 

I called Ted because he will at least listen to me. Ever since I started thinking about having another child I can’t seem to stop thinking about it. I want Justin to be the father because he’s already like a father to my kids. I think Lindsay would agree just because it would keep Justin around to tell her about what he’s been doing. 

 

 

“You want to have another baby? Mel you weren’t really the greatest at being pregnant.” He tells me.

 

 

“I was also chasing my career. I have a less stressful job and more income now. I can take time off to be with this one.” I tell him.

 

 

“If you want to do it, than I think you should, but you should be talking to Lindsay about this.” He tells me.

 

 

“I needed to talk to someone who could give me advice on how to approach Brian and Justin about this.” I tell him.

 

 

“Mel, Brian isn’t going to do it. He told me that if he ever did it again it would be with Justin. I don’t think they plan to have kids.” I tell him.

 

 

“I wasn’t thinking Brian.” I drop the bomb.

 

 

“Justin?” He asks.

 

 

“He’s who I should have asked the first time.” I tell him.

 

 

“Mel, you need to let them have this time to be together. Brian moved there to get away from crazy.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin’s a natural at being a father and I love him. I think that’s why I was such a bitch when I was pregnant with Jenny. If Justin had been doing what Michael was I would have handled it better because it was Justin telling me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin wouldn’t have done what Michael did. He would have had your groceries delivered, not stalked you through the store.” He tells me.

 

 

“Ted, part of it is that I see Brian and Justin being good father figures for our kids.” I tell him.

 

 

“Mel, are you feeling okay, because you just said Brian in that sentence.” He jokes.

 

 

“He loves Gus and Jenny. I know that he would love anything that came from Justin. Imagine a little Justin in the world.” I tell him.

 

 

“Talk to Jen about that and you might change your mind.” He jokes.

 

 

“Ted, tell me honestly, do you think Brian would be against this?” I ask him.

 

 

“If Justin wanted it, Brian wouldn't stop him, but Mel, Brian also isn't going to let you pull any shit you did to him, on Justin.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Does it make me an awful person when I say that to me Justin is different?” I ask him. 

 

 

“No, because you were never a big Michael fan. It always surprised me that you went to him. You've always known what he was like yet you chose him, instead of someone else.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I was having nightmares of choosing Brian again and at the time he seemed like he'd be easier than what we went through with Brian. Michael is a good father but he tries too hard. He couldn’t just take Jenny to the park, he has to buy her things that she's to little for. I could show you a closet full of his wonderful ideas. If Jenny was Gus then he’d pick well.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Is that where the statue went?” He jokes. 

 

 

“Of course not, that went in the yard sale, I got twenty bucks for it.” I tell him laughing when he grumbles five hundred dollars.

 

 

“All kidding aside, you need to make sure you really want this because otherwise you're opening a can of worms. Just make sure your reasons are sound. ” He tells me. 

 

 

“I want a baby, I know that for sure. If I do it I want the father to be someone I love too.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Give Brian and Justin time alone before you ask, they rarely get it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I was going to ask them when they visit next week.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You need to talk to Lindsay too, she’s your wife.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I plan to, but I don't know how to bring it up to her.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Just don’t use it to repair cracks.” He warns me.

 

 

“It's not, I just want to do it again.” I tell him and hang up.

 

 

TED

 

 

I hang up and look at Blake who waits for me to explain what that's about. I looked around the diner to make sure no one was listening because I don't want to deal with Michael finding out if nothing comes of this.

 

 

“Mel wants to have a baby.” I tell him quietly. 

 

 

“With Justin?” He asks.

 

 

“That’s what she said. I just don’t know if I should keep this from Brian. I know Mel enough to know she'd try to do it by just asking Justin not realizing that Brian should be part of it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Would Justin want to do that, or would he want to raise the kid?” Blake asks me. 

 

 

“Justin’s just starting a career, so I don't know what he'd want to do.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I would tell Brian so he doesn't get blindsided by this.” Blake tells me. 

 

 

“What about Mel? She has the right to do it her way.” I ask him. 

 

 

“Brian and Justin have the right to think about this before she springs it on them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I know, it's just she confided in me and it feels like I'm telling on her.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Then you have to do what you think is right.” He tells me.

 

 

“Shit, you know I'm telling him don’t you?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I know you value his trust the way he values yours.” He tells me. 

 

 

I get up and take my phone outside because Deb is watching us. If she found out she'd be marching up to Canada to put her two cents in, which no one needs until it either happens or doesn't.

 

 

“Miss me already?” Brian asks.

 

 

“I just got off the phone with Mel and I think you need to know what she's about to ask Justin.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Tell her my twink is babysitting me and doesn't have time to play with her.” He jokes. 

 

 

“Since you brought up baby, that's what she's thinking of.” I tell him. 

 

 

“They want another one, who's the unlucky vic… are you shitting me?” He asks.

 

 

“I called because she plans to ask when you visit next week.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I need to talk to Justin, because I won’t have them putting him through the same bullshit they put me through. What the fuck are she and Lindsay thinking?” He asks me. 

 

 

“She hasn't told Lindsay yet. She seems like she doesn't know how.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Thanks for not letting us walk into this without a chance to talk about it first.” He tells me, hanging up. 

 

 

I hope it was the right thing to do. 

 

 

JUSTIN 

 

 

Brian was wandering around like he was pissed about something. I waited for him to figure out if I needed to know, because he keeps looking at me, opening his mouth then closing it as he turns around, circling the room again. 

 

 

“Did you want a kid?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Why are you asking me?” I ask him because, where the hell did that come from? 

 

 

“You never told me if that was something you really wanted or not.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I have so much going on that I don't know where that would fit in.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What if someone wanted you to do what I did with Gus” He asks me. 

“I guess it would depend on if they tried to do the shit Mel and Lindsay did to you. I like the idea, but like I said, my life is busy and shit I don't know.” I tell him sitting down.

 

 

“If you need this I'm willing to do it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Why are we even talking about this? We just decided to live together.” I ask him.

 

 

“I think Mel wants you to donate for a child. Shit, I know she’s planning on asking you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are you kidding?” I ask because why would Mel and Lindsay want another one?

 

 

“Mel called Ted, who called me. He wanted us to know before she put a cup in your hand and told me to get the donation in the right place.” He smirks.

 

 

“Can I say gross first? But why me and not Michael again? At least they would be true siblings.” I tell him.

 

 

“I think she went down that road and refuses to do that again. Michael would think it gave him the right to be at their house all the time.” He tells me.

 

 

“I won’t be any easier. She’d have to accept that my child would be in my life and without signing anything.” I tell him.

 

 

“Our lives.” I remind him.

 

 

“Yes, but I watched what they did to you and I can’t do what you did with Gus. I know you did it to give Gus two parents who love him, and they do, but I also never thought you should have had to do it.” I tell him.

 

 

“The other thing you need to think about is that the kid would be in Canada, not close by.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Brian, my question is would this bother you? Like you said this would affect us both.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, if you want this we can find another way when we are ready to do it.” He promises me.

 

 

“When would we be ready? Do you want to wait ten years and then decide we’re too old for a baby?” I ask him.

 

 

“You want to do it don’t you?” He asks me.

 

 

“I want a child, but also know it could be a long time before we are ready to do it full time. You're about to start Kinnetik here and I have my own commitments. In a way we’d still have the kids, but we also wouldn’t be shuffling them all over the place.” I tell him.

 

 

“You don’t think Mel and Lindsay will have to do that with a third child?” He ask me.

 

 

“No, because between you and me, we can make it possible for them to take care of all the kids.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, if she comes at you with paperwork to give up your rights, then I won’t support this decision. You would be miserable being told what you can do with your kid and what you can’t do.” He tells me.

 

 

“If that happens, then the answer is no.” I tell him.

 

 

“If she changes her mind and doesn’t ask, are you going to be okay with that?” He asks me.

 

 

“I can’t miss what I never had.” I tell him.

 

 

“You won’t either way.” He tells me and I know it’s his promise to me.             

 


Chapter 3 by starlight

MEL 

 

 

I know I have to tell Lindsay about what I want but what if it just causes another argument? It's the first time I almost don't care how she feels and that scares me. I waited until we were getting ready for bed to open the subject.

 

 

“Do you ever want another child?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Sometimes yeah, the kids are getting older and I miss having a baby.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I want to have another one.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It's a good time for me, my job is only part time and like you said I could quit and this would be a wonderful reason to do it. I could probably talk Brian into doing it again, unless you're thinking of Michael?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I want to do it.” I tell her.

 

 

“Wouldn’t it make more sense for me to do it? Your job is more important and I'll be honest, you didn’t do so well the last time.” She tells me.

 

 

“I want to try again, because the last time I let everything be more important than Jenny. My job now is low stress in comparison to my old job and money-wise we’re in a place where I could take time for it. I want to do it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“What if I want to?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Do you? You never really seemed to want to again.” I ask her. 

 

 

“Mel, our relationship has had so many ups and downs that I never thought about it, but no I guess Gus and Jenny were enough for me.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's something I want and I really want your support.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Okay, but who? We don't have anyone here that I would feel comfortable asking.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I've been thinking about it and I there is someone I want.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'm assuming not Michael again.” She tells me. 

 

 

“No, he would just cause more problems. It's someone you suggested and I blew off.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Brian?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Brian and I are too much alike and I want to have a baby with someone I honestly love.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Ted?” She asks. 

 

 

“No, and not Emmett either.” I tell her, not understanding why I can't just say it.

 

 

“Mel who else is there? Ben isn’t possible and I don't…” She stares at me and I think she figured it out. “Justin.” She tells me smiling.

 

 

“He's someone I could be happy to have a child with. I finally understand why you wanted Brian when we first wanted a baby. You knew that you have to love the father for the baby to mean more to you. I owe you an apology for seeing it as something it wasn't.” I tell her. 

 

 

“That's the best apology you’ve ever given me.” She tells me, kissing me.

 

 

“Now let’s hope Brian thinks it’s a good idea.” I tell her.

 

 

“If Justin wants it, Brian will do it. That’s something none of you ever got about Brian. He loves Justin enough to do anything for him. He moved to be with him, and I think it’s because he realized that couples should be together. Michael and I both knew he’d realize it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian wants to do the whole ceremony again. In fact, I should suggest it.” She tells me, making me want to scream that Brian and Justin know what they’re doing and the other two need to stop trying to prove they know better. 

 

 

Half of Brian and Justin’s problems come from everyone telling them what to do. I think it’s hilarious that none of us are more together than the two of them, but think we have the right to tell them that what they’re doing isn’t how it should work. They managed to do it with three hundred miles between them for two years. The rest of us can’t do it with a pillow between us sometimes. 

 

 

I just smile and let her keep telling me how she was the reason they work, because I’m happy that I don’t have to fight her to have the baby I want to complete my family.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

I couldn’t think of anything but the possibility that I could be a father someday. I’ve always wanted kids, but my life just doesn’t leave a lot of room for a baby right now. I also need to think if I could deal with my kid being so far away all the time. I also need to think if the woman wanting me to do this is the best person for me to have a baby with. I also need to stop running this around in circles in my head. 

 

 

“Justin, tell me what you're thinking, because I’d like to finish this with you involved.” Brian tells me as he thrusts into me.

 

 

“Do you even like Mel enough to want us to deal with them again?” I ask as he pulls out and thrusts back causing me to moan.

 

 

“Can we not say her name because this isn’t really going to work if you keep mentioning women.” He tells me, pulling me up to kiss me and thrusting faster.

 

 

“Then think of how it feels to have my ass gripping you and tightening, because I’m about to cum all over us.” I tell him as he thrusts again and starts groaning as he cums and I finish between us.

 

 

“Okay, you can mention Mel now. I don’t mind.” He tells me, kissing me and catching his breath.

 

 

“If Mel and I have a kid I don’t want you two fighting with each other all the time. You both manage to do it away from all of us, but Lindsay and I know what you two do when you walk out back.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, it’s what makes us able to tolerate each other when we’re together.” He tells me, grabbing a cigarette and lighting it.  

 

 

“This is something you need to not do in the house too.” I tell him taking a drag.

 

 

“I’m only killing us with this habit right now.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t want it in the house with a baby, you didn’t do it with Gus in the loft.” I tell him.

 

 

“I won’t do it with your baby around either.” He tells me rolling his eyes at me.

 

 

“I’m overthinking this aren’t I?” I ask him. 

 

 

“You always overthink things, but I love you enough to overlook that flaw in your character.” He tells me.

 

 

“She might change her mind, so I guess other than waiting, there’s no reason for me to keep thinking about it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, if you just acted like this wasn’t a big deal then I’d be worried about you. A child isn’t just shooting in the cup, it’s knowing that there is going to be a life out there that you created. You are going to be the person who that child is going to look at to protect them from the world and give them everything they need to be happy. You are the one person who I know will be able to do it, because you do it for everyone. I think having a child is something you would have done even if we never met, because you love kids.” He tells me.

 

 

“You really think that?” I ask him.

 

 

“I know that, look at us. You didn’t just fall down at every hurdle I threw at you. You dodged them and kept at me until I saw what you seem to have known since the night we met, that we were going to grow old together.” He tells me and I decide Mr. Kinney deserves more attention for loving me.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

I walked into the diner and Ma was waiting on Emmett. I knew that his relationship with Calvin wasn’t going to last. I didn’t say anything because Emmett wouldn’t have listened to me. I walk over to join him.

 

 

“Hey Michael, where’s Ben?” He asks, looking at the menu.

 

 

“He’s teaching a class this morning. We are going to go up and see Jenny while Brian and Justin are there, so he volunteered to change with another teacher who wanted this week off.” I tell him as Ted slides in next to Emmett.

 

 

“I thought you were going to go the week after they visited. You know Mel and Lindsay don’t have a lot of room for company?” Ted asks me.

 

 

“I wanted to go when we could hang out with Brian and Justin.” I tell them.

 

 

“I thought you were going to see Jenny not anyone else.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“Why should it matter? I’m going to see my daughter too. I think Brian and Justin would like to see friends too. I mean they really should have moved back, but I think they’ll figure it out soon.” I tell them as Ma brings me food.

 

 

“Michael they don’t need you around all the time.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“It’s only for a week, they were already going to spend it with Mel and Lindsay.” I tell them.

 

 

“You need to make sure that Mel and Lindsay want that many people over.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“I swear, if they are fighting again, I’m going to have to explain to them the kids don’t need that.” Deb tells us.

 

 

“Deb, no  one said they were fighting, it’s just that they have a four bedroom and not a lot of space. When Michael made plans he told them a different time than Brian and Justin. That makes it so they have room for people to stay.” Ted tells us.

 

 

“So we sleep on the couch or floor, why do you even care?” Michael asks us.

 

 

“I’m just pointing out that it’s polite to make sure the people you're staying with are okay that you want to come a week earlier.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“Michael should be allowed to be there anytime he wants. He’s Jenny’s father.” Deb tells me.

 

 

I smile at Ma for pointing out that I have every right to be with my daughter. 

 

 

“I need my order to go. I have a busy morning.” Ted tells Deb sighing.

 

 

“I’ll go with you, Cynthia wanted me to help plan a party she’s throwing for a campaign.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

 

Ma gets their food and comes to sit with me to talk about picking up the stuff she made for Jenny and Gus.

 

 

EMMETT

 

 

Teddy seemed to really be trying to make Michael wait and go when he was supposed to. I wanted to know why he kept trying to talk Michael into not invading at the same time as Brian and Justin.

 

 

“What do you know that I don’t?” I ask, skipping around him to drive him crazy.

 

 

“Nothing, I just think that it’s inconsiderate to just show up when you want to, without letting them know.” He tells me.

 

 

“Teddy how long have we been friends, forever right? As my best friend you shouldn’t keep things from me.” I tell him, skipping around him more when he tries to dodge me.

 

 

“I’m not keeping anything from you and could you please walk with me instead of circling me.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’ll do that when you tell me what you're hiding.” I tell him.

 

 

“Fuck, Emmett it’s not my secret, I mean, it’s nothing.” He tells me running for the front door to Kinnetik.

 

 

“You don’t get to escape me.” I tell him running through the office after him.

 

 

“I’m busy Emmett, and you needed to talk to Cynthia.” He tells me, trying to close the door, but I work out, so I win.

 

 

“Tell me or I’ll bug Blake, and you know he’ll tell me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Blake wouldn’t tell you because unlike me, he doesn’t blab shit.” Ted tells me, giving up.

 

 

“So, what’s the secret?” I ask him, excited. Maybe Baby and Brian are getting hitched, although I don’t get why they would.

 

 

“MelwantsJustintobeherbabydaddy.” He says.

 

 

“What!” I yell.

 

 

“Emmett, don’t say anything, because it’s not a done thing and I have a feeling that Michael isn’t going to be thrilled they didn’t want him again.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“You know I really shouldn’t have asked, because man this is like huge and how am I going to keep from telling everyone. I mean trust me, I get why she wants Justin. I mean imagine how cute a kid would be with his complexion and his adorable nose and... “ I ramble until I see Ted shaking his head.

 

 

“Imagine Michael showing up and finding out that Mel wants another kid and he isn’t the one they want.” I tell Emmett.

 

 

“Why would they want to go through that headache again? Part of which is Michael doesn’t see he caused problems, right?” I ask Ted, because I think I get it now.

 

 

“Michael doesn’t see anything he does as wrong. So Lindsay and Mel not wanting him to father Jenny’s brother or sister would be a problem for him, not to mention Deb.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“Shit, I kind of hope Justin tells them no, because I have to live with Deb.” I suddenly don’t really like secrets.


Chapter 4 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I love Justin Taylor, I do. I don't love a worried Justin Taylor, so like the wonderful partner that I am, I need to get him to think of something else. Now we ALL know usually me naked makes Sunshine happy, but after the fourth round even I have to take a break, which means a worried Justin Taylor again. So I think Mel deserves to deal with me for causing all of this. Of course when I call I get Gus and well, listening to Gus is just as important as taking care of Mel.

 

 

“Dad, they want me to play hockey.” He complains.

 

 

“It's a Canadian thing. It's like baseball and football here.” I tell him. 

 

 

“But like I saw this video of teeth being knocked out by the puck. I like my teeth.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Are you watching YouTube again?” I hear Lindsay ask.

 

 

“Mom, it has like everything you need to know on it.” Gus tells her. 

 

 

“I'll talk to the moms about it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Thanks, because they acted like the fact that I wanted to be in the play  Unimportant.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Which one?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Romeo and Juliette, I get to kiss Megan. I really want to do that.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Then we'll make sure you get to do that.” I tell him laughing.

 

 

“Mom wants you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Brian, how's everything in New York?” Lindsay asks me.

 

 

“Good. I'm scouting locations for a branch office and trying to convince Justin to look at bigger apartments.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'll talk to him about it.” She tells me, and once again I'm glad we don't live near our friends.

 

 

“Justin and I can talk to each other, so just worry about Gus kissing a girl.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I guess the gay gene skipped him.” She tells me giggling.

 

 

“As long as he's happy, that's all we wanted.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How's Justin doing in New York? I know he's had small shows but has he been approached by an agent yet?” She asks me. 

 

 

“He's selling, but Justin never cared about fame, just creating.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I could call some old friends, if he needs help.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He wants to do this on his own, so let him.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Brian it never hurts to have help.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay this is his career, leave it alone.” I tell her.

 

 

“Is there a reason you called?” She asks me, ignoring my comment.

 

 

“Tell smelly Melly I need legal advice.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Brian could you stop calling her that, I'd like for you two to get along.” She tells me. 

 

 

“We do get along, like the Hatfield and the McCoys.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I swear one day you two are going to figure out you like each other.” She tells me putting the phone down.

 

 

“Hey, what legal advice?” Mel asks me. 

 

 

“I was thinking of stringing up a lesbian for causing Sunshine to be distracted when I was power thrusting.” I tell her. 

 

 

“TMI, way too much. Why a lesbian and not your dick? Obviously it didn't keep him interested.” She tells me.

 

 

“I don't know Mel, why not a lesbian, since she wants to give him a womb to play with.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Fucking Ted told, didn’t he?” She asks me. 

 

 

“My friend warned me you were going to spring this on us. Why tell Ted and not, oh I don't know, the guy with the magical sperm you want?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I figured Ted would know how to approach you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I'm not the person you need to talk to.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You're the one that could make him say no.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Have you met Justin? Because my Justin makes up his own mind. You’re talking about a man who went after Stockwell, even though it would hurt my career. He cares more about doing the right thing than about my opinion. So in the end he'd do what he wants and expect me to do what a partner does, stand by him.” I tell her.    

 

 

“But are you okay with the idea, because I really want to do it?” She asks me.

 

 

“Mel, if Justin does this are we going to play the same game as the last time?” I ask her.

 

 

“You mean signing his rights away?” She asks me.

 

 

“I mean forgetting that he’s important to a child’s life even if he’s a man.” I tell her.

 

 

“It’s different to me because it’s Justin. Brian I told Lindsay this, and I think I need to tell you too. I had a problem with you because I know Lindsay loves you, but the thing is I think that’s why she was happy being pregnant, because the child came out of love and not just a way to get the kid. I honestly think it’s one of the reasons that I didn’t take care of myself with Jenny. I like Michael but I don’t really love him as anything more than a guy we knew. Don’t take that as I don’t love Jenny. I just know that when you love someone you want to take care of yourself and them. Maybe I’m messing this up but I think having a child with someone I really care about would change how I acted.” She tells me.

 

 

“Okay, so through all the lesbian crap you spewed is that you love Justin and want a baby with him?” I ask her.

 

 

“In essence, yes.” She tells me.

 

 

“Mel, he’s worried about where the baby is going to live, if you and I can get along, and all sorts of shit. You realize that Justin tends to worry about things we haven’t even thought of.” I tell her.

 

 

“What do you want me to say?” She asks me.

 

 

“I’ve been sitting around for two days trying to decide. I think I have an answer to most of it but you have to meet me halfway.” I tell her.  

 

“You have to spit it out Kinney, before I can say yes or no.” She tells me.

 

 

“I plan for us to be here for a year in New York. That can’t change because Justin needs to finish what he started here, and I want to make this move successful in New York. Once the office here works then we can consider moving to back to Pittsburgh. Are you with me?” I ask her.

 

 

“Yes, but not making the connection to what you want.” She tells me.

 

 

“I want you and Lindsay to move back with us then. I’ll even help you setup your own firm, because you can’t just find a job and leave without something to leave for.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian, I can’t live near Deb and Michael again.” She tells me.

 

 

“I have a plan for that too. You know the house I bought?” I ask her.

 

 

“Brian, you and I under the same roof isn’t the best idea.” She tells me.

 

 

“Justin and I own the house and all the land behind it. You and I talk to an architect and build on the land behind the house. Justin won’t be able to not be with his child, no matter what he thinks right now.” I tell her.

 

 

“He’s willing?” Mel asks excitedly.

 

 

“Cautiously willing, he’s going to say no if you try to take his rights away. Shit Mel, he’s willing to spend every cent he has if you want to sit on your ass and stare at the kids all day. I won’t support him if you think he isn’t going to be involved.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian, I want you and him to be the fathers. Lindsay and I also want to change things so that you and Justin are also Gus’s legal fathers.” She tells me.

 

 

“Why?” I ask because this sounds like a bribe to get what she wants.

 

 

“Because you are his father and he needs that on paper. Right now if something happened to Lindsay or I, Gus could go to Lindsay’s family or mine and I don’t want him going to either of the homes that we came from.” She tells me.

 

 

“The new baby?” I ask her.

 

 

“Would be all four of ours.” She tells me.

 

 

“Then are you willing to move next year? The house is a half hour away from everyone and I’ll even install a gate so you can keep Deb and Michael out when they get to be too much.” I tell her and she starts laughing hysterically. “What?” I ask her.

 

 

“I was picturing Deb trying to get over the gate and yelling at Michael to pick her up and help her.” She tells me.

 

 

“I never knew you had a funny side, I kind of like it, and that scares the shit out of me.” I tell her trying not to laugh at what she said.

 

 

“Kinney, you don’t know the shit they did. Deb showing up anytime whether I wanted her to or not. Michael acting like he was solely responsible for Jenny being created. I saw Canada as a way to escape the insanity that came from the Novotny’s.” She tells me.

 

 

“Mel, they mean well, but they don’t understand that not everyone wants their opinions.” I tell her.

 

 

“So we all move to make it harder for them to pop over.” She tell me.

 

 

“It doesn’t stop the phone calls and email though does it?” I ask her.

 

 

“Did you get the one about how to raise a child in a gay household?” She asks me, giggling.

 

 

“No, I get the ones that tell me that I’m not supporting Gay Rights by not marrying Justin.” I tell her.

 

 

“Like you need that to show you and he are committed.” She tells me.

 

 

“If it ever becomes more than a ceremony then I’ll support the hell out of it. I just don’t see the point in saying words, that Justin knows and I tell him everyday, in front of people not involved in our daily life.” I tell her.

 

 

“So it’s not marriage you're against, but false ceremony.” She tells me.

 

 

“I just think if you do something it should be legal, not just words.” I tell her.

 

 

“Then I’ll be fighting to see you get the opportunity.” She tells me.

 

 

“Why are we being nice to each other, it might unbalance the universe.” I tell her.

 

 

“Don’t worry asshole, I promise to fight with you after Justin tells me yes.” She tells me.

 

 

“I think he should make you suffer a little, because trust me having him ask me about you in the middle of sex is never something I want to experience again. I mean there I was, about to thrust...” 

 

 

“And that is enough, later asshole.” She tells me.

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 5 by starlight

EMMETT

 

 

I was sitting around the living room listening to Deb and Michael go on and on about the girls living in Canada. Deb hates it because she can’t spend all her free time with Jenny. I understand that, but it’s like most families, they don’t always live next door to each other. It’s not like Mel and Lindsay are saying no when they want to visit. It’s just that Mel and Lindsay don’t want to leave Jenny here by herself until she’s older. Not that Deb and Michael understand that. 

 

 

I’ve been keeping ‘the secret’ because who do I tell that doesn’t know and won’t think this is their business? I could tell Ben but then I can’t guarantee Ben won’t slip and tell Michael somehow. Since Calvin and I broke up I don’t even have a boyfriend to tell. I could call Drew, we still talk sometimes, I just didn’t want him to show up and expect me to put up with his shit. I miss him but I don’t think he’s ready to just be with me yet. I tune back into the Novotny’s because I heard Brian’s name.

 

 

“Brian doesn’t need to be in New York either.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“He’s doing this for Sunshine, and he should if they want to be together.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“It would make more sense to be here. You know they can’t keep it together unless we’re around.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“When they need you they’ll call.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“I just don’t want to have fix things after they explode. If they were here I could make it so they have a good relationship like Ben and me.” He tells her.

 

 

“Honey, they do things differently. Brian wants to make a go of New York for Kinnetik and Justin being there made it easier for him.” She tells him.

 

 

“At least I’ll get to check up on them when I get to Mel and Lindsay’s.” He tells her.

 

 

“Have you called to tell Mel and Lindsay?” I ask because Ted is right, you can’t expect to show up and for it to be okay.

 

 

“No, but what’s the big deal?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I think Ted is right, you should ask if they want that many people over at the same time.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael shouldn’t have to ask for permission to be there, he gave them permission to take Jenny there.” Deb tells me.

 

 

“I guess if everyone invaded here you wouldn’t care that there was no place to put all those people.” I tell her.

 

 

“I have other people who could help put up some people if I want.” She tells me.

 

 

“They don’t Deb, they live there without a lot of extended family.” I tell her.

 

 

“They should have thought of that when they took off with my grandchild.” Deb tells me.

 

 

I get up and head for Ted’s place before I slap them both in the head. It’s like Deb can’t see past Jenny not being where she can drop by whenever she wants. At least she isn’t saying that Brian needs Michael to be there for him. Now it’s like the girls can’t take care of themselves. I think it’s about Deb wanting all her chicks where she can see them. I see Blake getting out of his car.

 

 

“Hey, mind if I invade for a while?” I ask him.

 

 

“Michael still hasn’t told the girls he’s coming early?” He asks me.

 

 

“Well he’s Jenny’s father and can go anytime he wants. That’s a quote from mom and son.” I tell him.

 

 

“Deb doesn’t see why it would be a big deal because her house is open to all of us. Michael is Michael, not much you can do when he wants to do something.” Blake tells me.

 

 

“If Mel gets Justin to agree, then counselor, what do you see in our future.” I ask him. 

 

 

“I think Deb will want to know why she wasn’t told first.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Michael?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I'm honestly not sure, it could go a lot of ways. Michael might not care, but then he might think Mel should have told him first. With Michael you just never know how he'll react to anything.” Blake tells me. 

 

 

“I'm stuck not telling, do you know how hard this is for me?” I ask him.

 

 

“I doubt you’ll have to keep it for long, hopefully Mel will tell Michael so he can deal with it.” Blake tells me. 

 

 

“I might be staying here for a while if she does.” I joke.

 

 

“We could always go to New York and hide.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Yeah I could see Brian slamming the door and telling us where he really wants us to be.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why not call Justin and mention Michael’s change of plans.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Then if he tells me, Ted doesn’t get blamed for blabbing. You are devious you know that.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I have to be to be around you guys.” He tells me. 

 

 

BRIAN 

 

 

I told Justin to soak in the tub so I could concentrate, because his mind is getting louder. I was looking at the graphics Murph sent when Justin’s phone rang.

 

 

“Emmett, he's in the tub, so unless you can give me a reason to bother him, you get me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“If I wanted you I'd have called you, but whatever, Blake said I should let you know Michael is going to be at the girl’s house earlier then he told them and being the great friend that I am, I decided to let you know.” He tells me. Does he really think I'm falling for that?

 

 

“That is such a sweet thing for you to do. I appreciate that you think we would need to know. It just makes me realize how little I value our friendship until out of the kindness of your heart you call to let me know Michael misses me.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

 

“I was trying to make it so when Mel popped the question to Justin, Michael doesn’t have an aneurysm.” He tells me.

 

 

“I see the grapevine is still running at full speed. Who, Ted?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I might have pestered him to tell me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“And with your partner in crime in the know who’s left to tell, right?” I ask him.

 

 

“I wasn’t telling anyone. Trust me I want to, but I’m doing what’s best for Baby. Honestly Brian, do you see Michael handling that they don’t want him well?” He asks me.

 

 

“I think it will bother him, but I also don’t think he wants any more kids. Hunter and Jenny are more than he can handle most days. I just wonder what caused Mel to want another one.” I tell him.

 

 

“Women have biological clocks and they tick loudly when the end of babymaking is near. I think she doesn’t want to not do it and then regret it later.” He tells me and there’s the optimism.

 

 

“I talked to her and we have a plan on how we are going to handle this if she get’s pregnant. That’s still something that we don’t have to worry about right now. Did Michael say why he’s changing plans all of sudden?” I ask him.

 

 

“I think he wants to make sure you and Justin are still doing okay. You know he’s the only reason that you two stay together, because he gives us all his wisdom.” He tells me.

 

 

“He emails you too?” I ask him.

 

 

“Only when he can’t hand me the articles about not finding relationships in bars, cause you know that’s all they end up, a relationship with the bar.” He tells me.

 

 

“I met a great guy outside of the bar, so maybe that has some truth to it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Five years of chasing each other around doesn’t make a great relationship.” He tells me.

 

 

“Seven and still going, so think about that, sometimes you have the relationship you want staring you in the face, don’t let the other shit stop it.” I tell him because he knows it’s there.

 

 

“I can’t be Justin to Drew, Brian.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin caught what he wanted, I doubt he’d tell you it was horrible.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin can handle other men, I can’t.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin understood why I did what I did, and didn’t take it as being about him. Which Emmett, it wasn’t about Justin, just me being me. Which is why he waited for me to be ready but stuck by me for it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Are you telling me that you and he…” Emmett squeals.

 

 

“Unless we both want a little side action than yes we are. Do you want to know why you know about this and no one else?” I ask him.

 

 

“Only me, why?” He asks me.

 

 

“Because you managed not to tell anyone what you know. I trust you that you won’t tell anyone this either because I’ll know who told.” I tell him.

 

 

“So once again I have something to tell and no one to tell, you are just mean.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’m sweet, just ask your Baby.” I tell him.

 

 

“So should I call Mel and tell her about Michael?” He asks me.

 

 

“I’ll do it, that way you don’t have to accidently tell on Ted to her.” I tell him.

 

 

“Can I at least tell Ted?” He ask me.

 

 

“No, but you can tell any guy you decided to live with.” I tell him.

 

 

“I live with Carl.” He tells me.

 

 

“Tell him, I doubt he wants to know.” I tell him.

 

 

“Fine, but I don’t care what the next big secret is I get to tell everyone in the middle of Babylon.” He tells me.

 

 

“You still want to talk to Baby?” I ask him.

 

 

“I’ll call when we can gossip without you to ruin it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I just gave you gossip, I think that was incredi…” I laugh when he hangs up.

 

 

Shit, why can’t Michael stick to his plans, it’s not like I plan on spending time at the munchers house anyway. I walk into the bathroom to see Justin reading a book on babies. REALLY?

 

 

“Emmett knows and called to warn us that Michael changed his plans to be there with us.” I tell him as he slides the book down the side of the tub, like I didn’t see what he was reading.

 

 

“Ted told?” He asks me.

 

 

“You know Emmett, it was likely Ted only told because Emmett annoyed him into doing it.” I tell him.

 

 

“They don’t keep anything from each other, but you knew that.” He tells me.

 

 

“Justin, I don’t want to stay at the girl’s house with that many people, so we are going to rent a hotel. I just wanted to tell you so we agree on this.” I tell him.

 

 

“Yeah, I don’t see not have sex for a week as a great thing.” He tells me smirking.

 

 

“I don’t really get how people manage to go days, but some people seem to be able to.” I tell him, taking off my sweats.

 

 

“You’ve always had a high sex drive.” He tells me when I sit in front of him.

 

 

“Lucky for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I guess you're lucky that I'm still young enough to reap the benefits.” He tells me, climbing on my lap.

 

 

“I always knew your age was a benefit.” I tell him, reaching for a condom.

 

 

Justin takes it and puts it on me, then shows that our sex drive has been busy by taking me in. I let him do the work because he likes to control the speed and angle to make us last longer. I pull the plug so his book won’t get wet and hold his hips to guide him to give me what I want. Justin fucks the way he dances, he drives you crazy before taking you over the edge. I moan as he tightens his walls around my cock as he slides up and loosens to make the slide in smooth. I can see him reaching for his cock because he's ready and put my hand over his to help him. He starts moving faster to get me there with him and I cum when I hear him groaning and feel him covering us with his release. He leans on me, breathing in pants. I turn on the water to clean us up. Justin helps get rid of the condom and grabs a washcloth to spread soap on our mess.

 

 

“Do you still want to use those?” He asks me.

 

 

“Until we know there isn't going to be anyone else we need to.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You've been it for the last year.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You didn’t tell me?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I wanted to make sure.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Then we get tested and throw them out because I haven't been with anyone but you since you moved.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Really, and you didn't want to mention it?” He scowls. 

 

 

“I wanted you and I to talk about it once we lived together. I'm ready for it to just be us, but I didn’t want you to make that decision until you were ready.” I tell him. 

 

 

“If you'd mentioned it I would have skipped the one crappy blow job and just waited for you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“That just reminded you why you want me.” I tell him getting out of the tub.

 

 

Justin gets out smiling, because he knows it doesn’t bother me that he did it. We both know it's not a reflection of our feelings for each other, it’s just blowing off steam. Of course now it's different because we told each other.

 

 

“I have to call Mel to let her know about Michael coming.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You just don't want me talking to her.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I want you to have as much time to think about this as you need and we need to talk about what I want to do.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I don’t care as long as we are together.” He kisses me and grabs the book running out of the bathroom.

 

 

Well Kinney, looks like we're going to have a kid.       

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

MEL 

 

 

I decided that if Lindsay and I are a couple than it's time to give her the right to be involved in deciding everything, instead of telling her what I want and convincing her it's right. 

 

 

“We need to talk about Brian’s offer.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Okay?” She asks me, like she's waiting for me to tell her what was already decided, and I can see I've done this to her in the past.

 

 

“He wants us to consider moving back to Pittsburgh next year.” I tell her. 

 

 

“That means Michael and Deb again.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Yes, but he wants us to move into a house we build on the land behind the house he bought for Justin. It makes it harder for them to just show up. I also told him about the offer to co-parent Gus and the new one when we have it.” I tell her.

 

 

“I'd love to move back, but I'm with you, too many people involved in telling us what to do.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay, you need to see that you do that to Brian and Justin too. I want this to work because our kids will have everything they need if we do, but if you keep trying to tell Brian and Justin your opinion then it's like Michael’s emails, a lot of spam.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I don’t think they mind.” She tells me.

 

 

“Did you like Michael acting like we owed it to him to tell him about our relationship? It's the same thing. I know you do it out of love, but they’ve managed to work without us, so why do you feel they need you to make it work.” I ask her. 

 

 

“They don’t, but Brian takes care of us and I feel we should help him and Justin if they need it.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Brian also waits for you to ask, not offers when you don't. Lindsay, part of this move to New York was so they could have time like we did, to not have everyone running to them.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I get it but I can't help wanting to do it.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Then for once, lean on me and we'll talk about it, I promise to listen and offer advice, not give you orders. If we don't want this to end up with fighting we need to let them own their relationship the way we do ours.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I like this side of you, what's with the change?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I don’t want to do the things that hurt us the first time. I think I undervalue your opinions when I decide what we should do without really asking you how you feel.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mel, I like that you make decisions, but it would be nice to be asked what I think without you being ready to counter anything that doesn’t fit into what you wanted. Are we growing up?” She smiles and kisses me.

 

 

“I think I need to bitch at someone, because as Brian would say this is too lesbianic for me.” I tell her smiling. 

 

 

“Call Ted, he deserves it. I'm going to paint.” She tells me. 

 

 

Shit, maybe Brian was right, she's my partner and I need to show her support, not treat her like she doesn't have opinions of her own. When I think about it, I know I never really gave her a lot of opportunities to share in our life decisions, just bulldozed until she saw it my way. I'm not saying everything was me but I own half of our problems. Whoever thought I'd be saying Brian was right, certainly not me. 

 

 

I pick up my phone to fuck with Ted when I see Brian calling. 

 

 

“Hey stud. Hello… Brian, you there?” I ask when I'm greeted with silence.

 

 

“I was trying to figure out if I called the wrong number.” He tells me. 

 

 

“No asshole, you didn’t.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Much better, I was worried you switched teams.” He tells me.

 

 

“Sure, but only for Justin.” I joke.

 

 

“Yeah well, his foray into pussy didn’t really work and you know Daphne’s hot, so you don't stand the chance of changing him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Did you call for a reason or just to have someone to argue with?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Mikey’s coming early.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Sounds like a problem for Ben.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll have to ask Ben, but I mean he's showing up at your house the same time Justin and I are coming. I arranged a room at a hotel for me and Justin. Justin needs sex and you know, Michael sleeping between us kind of gives him a softy.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Why hasn't he called and asked if that's okay?” I ask him.

 

 

“Don’t know, Emmett told me, not Mikey.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I wanted us to talk first. Michael tends to dominate conversations and I don't know how he'll react that we don't want him again.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Mikey will get over it. Just don't expect him not to try to tell you all the reasons to do it his way. I can postpone a week, but I had plans for Gus.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You could offer them your hotel reservation.” I tell him.

 

 

“Nope. Justin’s a screamer, and you know I’d hate for you and Lindsay to get jealous.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We need to talk about the over sharing. But first let me tell Lindsay about our surprise visitors. Hey, we could surprise Michael by us coming to New York instead, then maybe he'd see that calling first is a good thing.” I tell him because Michael needs to understand boundaries.

 

 

“Like he wouldn't come here next.” He tells me. 

 

 

“My newest email is about how having a village to raise your children gives them security.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Mine is how relationships based on sex never succeed.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Unless the sex is stellar, which Wendy provides in spades.” I tell him, laughing when he grumbles. 

 

 

“I need Justin to reassure me I have a dick. Later.” He tells me. 

 

 

It's nice to be able to fuck with him but know it's not because of misplaced jealousy. Now onto Michael, Lindsay’s going to be less than pleased that he is showing up uninvited, it's the WASP gene, they want an RSVP. I walk into our room to see her sketching instead of painting, but she smiles as she works and I haven't seen that lately when she draws. She looks up and the smile is still there.

 

 

“Were you talking to Ted?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I was going to call and bitch at him, not seriously, but Brian called to tell me Michael plans to come the same time as Brian and Justin.” I tell her. 

 

 

“He didn’t call first to see if it's alright?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I think he thought to surprise us all.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Call Brian and see if they can come earlier, I'll show Michael what surprise is like. Doesn’t he understand that you ask not just assume?” She tells me grumbling.

 

 

“You don’t want to call Brian?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I can, but I was going to look at places we could take the kids that would have us gone all day.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I'll let him know we expect them earlier then.” I tell her.

 

 

I guess I'm calling Brian again.

 

 

“You know Smelly Melly, this is starting to seem like stalking.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Hey asshole, my WASP isn’t thrilled about Michael’s surprise and asked that come earlier so Michael can see why you call before showing up.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Fine, if you both need to see my magnificence sooner, I'll be there.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Make sure the magical holder of the sperm is with you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Yeah, I was holding…” 

 

 

“Later.” I  hang up before he shatters all my illusions of Justin.    

 

 

JUSTIN 

 

 

Brian walked in and I threw the book about the daily stages of pregnancy under the bed. He rolled his eyes but didn’t say a word about it.

 

 

“You have anything you need to do tomorrow?” He asks me. 

 

 

“No, I cleared everything until we come back.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Lindsay’s perturbed that Michael didn’t tell her he was coming sooner so she wants us earlier so Michael meets an empty house.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Brian, you don’t just show up at someone's house without calling.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Yes Martha Stewart, trust me I get that, so we are going tomorrow instead.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We're still staying at the hotel?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I think Lindsay’s planning on taking a day trip so we can figure it out when we get there.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Why not just call and tell him no? Never mind.” Even I know why.

 

 

“Mikey understands actions, not words.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Makes sense, look at who he followed around for years.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I remember a certain someone who also followed me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I was getting laid by doing it, so of course I followed, blond, not stupid.” I smile.  

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

Why is everyone worried about me asking to visit Jenny? Ben is even asking if I made sure I asked Mel and Lindsay first.

 

 

“They're fine with it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's just because if they aren’t home we end up going there and waiting around. We could have called Brian and Justin and arranged dinner with them on our way back.” He tells me. 

 

 

“This way we can show them why marriage is a good thing.” I tell him. 

“Michael just because we wanted it doesn’t mean everyone does.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I just want them to work this time. I can't run around saving Brian from himself because he screws up with Justin.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Michael, that was a long time ago and a different Brian.” He reminds me. 

 

 

“Come on, don’t you miss hanging out with the whole gang?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It's fun but we are all moving forward in our lives, once in awhile is great.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I just want breakfast with everyone. Eli and Monty are okay, but just joking around seems beyond them.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I know and we still have Emmett and Ted around too.” He tells me. 

 

 

I smile because he's right but without Brian and Justin we seem like a bunch of old guys. I'm not expecting us to run to the nearest bar, just hang out and talk about things. Mel and Lindsay could help me convince Brian he doesn't need to be in New York, because Justin was doing okay there by himself. 

 

 

I remember I need to send my daily email to everyone. I guess I'll send Emmett’s too since he left before I could give it to him. I think Emmett needs to read this one on ways to find the man of your dreams outside of places that give men the idea you play fast and loose. Ted needs the one about not letting your work become your mistress. Justin should read the one about artists who were discovered in out of the way places. Brian gets 101 reasons marriage helps you live longer. Mel gets the one about a father being around helps increase grades in school, maybe that's why my grades sucked? Lindsay needs an email because I wanted her to read about how grandmothers can teach kids to value family, but I'll send that through Mel. Blake gets the one about how to get your partner to see relationships need as much attention as work. That gives them food for thought. I smile at Blake sending something back to me, probably thanks for the article. I open to a link and click it and read the title. 

 

 

“Spam Kills Friendship: 5 Way To Know You Are A Friend Killer”

 

 

If you send it and they no longer open it, just delete it, you've Spam killed.

If friends never call to thank you for your helpfulness, you've Spam killed.     

If emails get returned because your friends changed addresses and deleted the old one without giving you the new one, you've Spam killed.

If friends send it to others as a joke about you, you've Spam Killed.

If you get this, it could be telling you you've done one or all of the above.

 

 

I need to save this to send to people for all the stuff people seem to think is important but seriously just bogs down my email. I sent Blake a thank you email.

 

 

BLAKE 

 

 

“Ted, he thinks it's great. Now he has something to send people who send him spam.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“Blake, unless you put Michael’s name in bold print, he doesn't get it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I need to find an article about sending emails killing comic book heros, that he'll get.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Um Blake, aren’t you taking the articles he’s sent a little bit personally.” Ted asks me. 

 

 

“Yesterday he sent one about accepting that my partner loves his job more than me.” I grumble.

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 7 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I swear, you tell a lesbian she can have jizz and she's all over you, well Justin. Mel grabbed Justin the minute he came through the gate.

 

 

“I expected at least a hug for bringing the lifegiver with me.” I tell them.

 

 

“I’ll hug you.” Jenny tells me smiling.

 

 

“See, women adore me Mel.” I tell her, picking up Jenny.

 

 

“She’s still too young to know any better.” Mel tells me.

 

 

“What’s the plan, because you and Emmett are way too touchy feely with Justin?” I ask Mel when Jenny kisses my cheek and sniffs me.

 

 

“Can you get my Dad to wear your smell?” Jenny asks me seriously.

 

 

“Trust me, he wanted to at one time, but he likes Daddy Ben’s smell now.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian!” The adults yell at me.

 

 

“Mel and I decided that we could go to the indoor waterpark and then dinner, it should have us back before it’s time to put the kids to bed.” Lindsay tells us.

 

 

“You and Justin really take the invitation thing too seriously.” I tell Lindsay.

 

 

“I know, he just doesn’t see a problem with showing up when he wants, but you and Justin had plans with Gus, not him.” Lindsay tells me.

 

 

“It’s why I left the Pitts, everyone was always showing up at the loft. Mikey is used to his mom’s house and thinks that it’s normal, so don’t give him too hard a time about this.” I tell Lindsay. It’s like they forget who Mikey is.

 

 

We dropped off our stuff in the house and take off to the indoor waterpark. If this doesn’t make Mel wonder whether Justin is mature enough for kids, it should. Justin took off with Gus and Jenny and down the large slide they go. Then they splash water all over each other and Lindsay who’s sitting with her legs in the pool. Gus and Justin look like drowned rats when they finally get back to us but are laughing the whole way.

 

 

“You think he’s a great example?” I joke.

 

 

“He’s hands on, unlike you, it’s like you're here to make sure every eye is looking at your perfect hair.” Mel tells me, smiling.

 

 

“Please, guys are watching, I can tell.” I tell her.

 

 

“Well that guy is watching Justin, but then you never said who they were watching.” She tells me, laughing.

 

 

“Did you two take happy pills because I was coming?” I ask her.

 

 

“Things are really going well. We started talking instead of the cold shoulder we normally give each other. I think being away from everyone just helped. It’s why you're doing it, isn’t it?” She asks me.

 

 

“I’m doing what’s best for us now. I didn’t leave just to get time alone, but because Justin was willing to walk away from what he’s working toward, to be with me. I thought it was time for me to be the one who does what we need.” I tell her.

 

 

“You can say whatever you want, but I can tell you that not having to constantly have everyone in our business really helped us see that we let too many people voice opinions about our lives.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Michael doesn’t understand that at the time you and Lindsay needed to work it out on your own. Mel, in his head he thought you and he were going to raise Jenny together. I tried to tell him it wasn’t going to be like that, but all he saw was a baby.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I know both he and Deb mean well, but I'm not Deb, who wants everyone at her house all the time. They never called, just showed up, and expected me to make time for them. Deb at least understood when to go home. Lindsay has the same reservations about us moving back. The only reason we are willing is because it's far enough away to allow us some privacy. I hope Michael doesn’t take it personally that I don't want him again.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It would be better to sit them down and tell them so Michael can deal with it. Just don't say it's because you want the father to be someone you love.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It know better than to say that to him. I was going to explain that with Hunter in college it would put a strain on their budget. Michael doesn’t send a lot, but he tries. Having another child would be more than he could afford. We don’t depend on him or you financially but he doesn't know that. Lindsay and I have been putting the money in accounts for the kid's college funds.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I set up Gus’s college fund a while ago, the money I send is for you to get things for the kids.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Just be happy they are going to start out life better than we were able to.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Are we going to eat soon?” Gus asks us, sitting down.

 

 

“Think we can get the WASP to give Michael a break?” I ask Mel.

 

 

“I think it was just so he knows we expected a call, so I doubt Lindsay will care if they meet us to eat.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You get to tell her, while I answer Mikey.” I tell her as my phone rings. Mel walks off to let Lindsay know and I answer Mikey.

 

 

“Brian, have you talked to Lindsay or Mel today, we've been trying to find them at home?” Michael asks me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I made arrangements to take the kids out. Did you need something I can ASK for you?” I say to him. 

 

 

“Ben and I came earlier than planned, I thought we could all spend time together. I haven’t seen either you or Justin lately.” He tells me.

 

 

“You won’t see much of us this week either, we are taking Gus to do stuff all week. You must have had some plans for Jenny, to show up a week early.” I tell him.

 

 

“We could do some stuff together, with you living in New York this is time to see each other too.” He tells me.

 

 

“We are about to go eat dinner, why not meet us? Then you can explain to the girls why you didn’t call first to tell them you were coming.” I tell him.

 

 

“I wanted to surprise you, but even Ben is a little pissed that I didn’t call.” He tells me whispering.

 

 

“You remember that Lindsay and Mel like people to give them a courtesy call, they aren’t your mom.” I tell him.

 

 

“Is that Michael?” Lindsay asks me holding her hand out for the phone. I hand it to her and run to Gus and Justin. We all watch as Lindsay talks to Michael like a parent to a child.

 

 

“Michael it’s always fine that you come over, but with Brian and Justin coming, there isn’t room for a lot of guests.” She tell him.

 

 

“I prefer to have everyone have a room they can stay in. Brian and Justin volunteered to stay at a hotel instead of with Gus when we found out.” She tells him.

 

 

“Knowing you were coming is not the same as being asked if you could come Michael.” She tells him.

 

 

“Mom’s not happy.” Gus tells us.

 

 

“She’s fine, she just wants Uncle Mikey to understand that you call first not just show up.” Justin tells him.

 

 

“She has like all these strange rules about that.” Gus tells us.

 

 

“It’s just the way we were raised.” Justin tell him.

 

 

“Michael, keep this up and you can go home.” Lindsay tells him. I figure time to rescue Mikey.

 

 

“Talk to Brian.” She hands me the phone smiling.

 

 

“Brian, they took off knowing we were coming.” Michael complains.

 

 

“Next time call and make sure it’s okay for you to come. Meet us at the restaurant and make sure you're ready to apologize to the girls.” I tell him.

 

 

“Fine.” He tells me and hangs up.

 

 

We got to the restaurant and Michael stood next to Ben with his arms crossed and a frown, but Jenny solved that by jumping in his arms. After being seated and ordering, Michael looked like he wanted to say something but Ben shook his head. Thank god for small favors because Michael didn’t say whatever he was going to, but instead turned to Justin.

 

 

“Maybe we could work on some panels while we’re together.” He tells Justin.

 

 

“I didn’t bring anything to work with. Brian and I are planning to take Gus out this week.” He tell him.

 

 

“This is why living in Pittsburgh would be better for us. It’s taking longer to get things done because you and I can’t do like we used to and hash it out.” Michael tells Justin.

 

 

“It’s going to have to be that way until Justin and I can move back. It could be a couple years before that happens Mikey.” I tell him, to Mel looking confused.

 

 

“But Dad, when Mama has the baby, aren’t we all moving back?” Gus asks me, and I couldn’t have picked a less perfect way for Michael to find out.

 

 

“What baby?” Michael asks us.

 

 

“We can talk about it when we get to Mel and Lindsay’s, right now let's eat.” I tell him.

 

 

“But…” Michael stops when Ben interrupts him.

 

 

“Justin, are you getting more shows?” Ben asks, ignoring Michael.

 

 

“I have a couple coming up, none are solo, but I didn’t expect that.” He tells Ben.

 

 

“I really thought you would be further along by now.” Lindsay comments, to Mel shaking her head.

 

 

“I could be, but I never really wanted to become famous, just create.” Justin tells her.

 

 

“As long as you're happy with where your career is, than that’s wonderful.” Ben tells him.

 

 

“It is, I like that no one is telling me to do anything. A lot of other artists I meet are painting on demand and I’m able to do it so that I like what I produce. I think it allows my work to be about me and not the public.” Justin tells him.

 

 

“I learned that when I wrote my books, it has to be about me, not worrying if others like it.” Ben tells us.

 

 

Lindsay smiles at what Ben seems to get through to her. She needs to see that Justin will always do things his way and if she wants him to include her, she has to let him.

 

 

“Hey, did you get my email about artists being discovered outside of New York?” Michael asks as Justin, Mel, and I roll our eyes.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

MEL 

 

 

I wanted to talk to Brian and Justin with Lindsay first, so I asked Ben if he and Michael could take the kids home in their car. I wanted the opportunity to at least ask Justin his feelings on this.

 

 

“Brian mentioned you were worried about how we are going to handle raising the baby.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm not willing to do it if you expect me to sign over my rights. Brian told me that you wanted to co-parent the kids. I'm good with that, but not if it becomes like what happened with Gus, and then Jenny. I'd rather not have kids, than play tug of war with them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I both agree that you and Brian will share equal custody of Gus and the new one.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm also trying to understand why you think this will be different than when you were pregnant with Jenny. You think Michael was a pain in the ass but I plan to be at appointments and will express my concerns if you aren’t taking care of yourself.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Michael took it too far, he stalked me around a grocery store. Everywhere I went, Michael was somewhere close by.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He wanted to be included. Although using Justin’s stalking methods were the wrong way to go about it.” Brian tells Justin, smirking.

 

 

“He's never understood how it works, I mean, I got you.” Justin tells him, smiling. 

 

 

“Are we going to agree to have a baby together?” I ask him. 

 

 

“As long as we agree that our child belongs to all of us, than yes.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We can put it in writing if you need that. We have to do that with Gus anyway.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Okay, as long as you don't name the baby Abraham if it's a boy.” Justin tells me, giggling.

 

 

“It's a good name, but we can all decide together when we know the sex of the baby.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm voting for anything that doesn’t turn the kid into an outcast.” Brian tells me. 

 

 

“We could name it after you, asshole has a nice ring to it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Really Mel, I'm hurt, because my pet name has such a pleasant ring to it.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Now we get to tell Michael, do you want to do it asshole?” I ask him, smiling. 

 

 

“Sure, I'll tell him you wanted someone prettier this time.” He tells me. 

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

Ben and I put the kids to bed, so there wouldn't be any excuse to avoid the conversation about the baby thing.

 

 

“I wonder if she wants me to donate again?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Wouldn’t she have talked to us first?” Ben tells me.

 

 

“Who knows with them. What would you think if they want me again?” I ask him. 

 

 

“You're already unhappy with Jenny being so far away. Do you really want to do it again, knowing they live here?” He asks me. 

 

 

“You heard Gus say they were planning to move back, so they'd be close by.” I tell him. 

 

 

“We are putting Hunter through school and sending what we can afford for Jenny. There is no way we could afford another one, without putting a strain on our budget.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We can explain that, so they know.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why don’t we wait to see what they are planning?” He asks me. 

 

 

Brian, Justin, Mel, and Lindsay come in the house and I let them know the kids are asleep, before they try to run off.

 

 

“So, Lindsay and I decided to have one more before I'm unable to. I've asked Brian and Justin to help make that possible.” Mel tells us. 

 

 

“Brian’s donating again?” I ask her. 

 

 

“No, it's going to be Justin.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Wouldn’t it make more sense for me to be the father?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Michael, you have Jenny and Hunter. Lindsay and I want to share this with Brian and Justin.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You’ve already decided, without telling me about this, haven’t you?” I ask her.

 

 

“Yes, because it about us and them.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It affects Jenny, so we should have talked about it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Until Justin agreed, there was nothing to talk about.” Brian tells me. 

 

 

“Justin needs to remember what happened to us, before he agrees. Think about it Brian, do you really want him dealing with them telling him when he can see his kid?” I ask Brian.

 

 

“Michael, it's not going to be like that.” Lindsay tells me. 

 

 

“They told me that too Justin. Came into the shop tore up the agreement they wanted me to sign, then they tried to make it impossible for me to see Jenny.” I tell him.

 

 

“We never made it impossible for you to see Jenny. We just didn't think it meant we had to discuss OUR relationship with you. Instead of talking to us, you sued for custody.” Mel tells me. 

 

 

“I didn’t want my daughter raised in a broken home.” I tell her. 

 

 

“By a single mother, we know.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“We've all talked about it and I'm okay with how we plan to raise Gus and the new baby. Brian and I are not in a place to raise a child full-time, and I don't want to wait years and realize we waited too long. We weren't leaving you out, it just didn't make sense to tell you anything until we made a decision.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“We thank you for including us, right Michael?” Ben asks me.

 

 

“I want to know what Gus was talking about, are you finally going to bring my daughter back? I know I supported the move but I feel we're being left out of her life.” I tell Mel, ignoring Ben.

 

 

“We all agreed to move back, but right now the time line hasn't been decided on, so when it's decided we will let you know.” Mel tells me. 

 

 

“Why can't you all see you should come home now. What's so important that you have to wait?” I ask them.

 

 

BRIAN 

 

 

If we let Michael, he'll keep us here all night trying to tell us what to do. I guess it's up to me to get through to him.

 

 

“Michael, we each have things that make Pittsburgh not where we need to be right now. I want to expand Kinnetik into New York and it helps that Justin needs to be there now. Mel and Lindsay needed to work on their relationship, which seems to have benefited from being away from everyone. It's not about you, but our needs. I'm sure you and Ben like being able to make your own decisions without everyone getting involved, give us the same opportunity.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What is so bad about having people you can turn to when you need us?” He asks us. 

 

 

“It’s that you think we have to tell you things that don't have anything to do with you. Michael, what goes on in our lives shouldn’t be gossip, but it becomes that because everyone wants a say. Mel pointed out that Brian and Justin don’t need anyone giving them advice, but we all think we have the right to tell them our opinions. I couldn’t see that I was doing it either, but I do. I hope Justin can just keep reminding me that he knows what he's doing but puts up with me wanting the best for him. Ben said it, they create for themselves and that's what matters. I think what each of us wants is for our personal lives is to be just that, ours. Mel wants to have a baby with Justin, we've told you, so instead of spending the night doling out advice, accept it. You're here to see Jenny, so do that. Let everyone do what they planned on doing and enjoy your time here.” Lindsay tells him. 

 

 

“I'm proud of you.” Mel whispers to her.

 

 

“I'm proud of myself, for listening to my wife.” She tells her.

 

 

“I'm ready to barf, are we done?” I ask them.

 

 

“We can talk about it later.” Michael tells us and I swear Mel growled.  

 

 

BEN

 

 

Michael doesn’t deal well with people not telling him things, but hopefully he'll see that this isn't a bad thing. I want Jenny closer and it looks like they are working towards coming back. I follow Brian outside as Michael talks to Justin about the comic.

 

 

“How many people know?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Everyone but Deb now. I'm sure you'll be wishing you waited a week to come.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He didn’t tell me until we got here that he didn’t call. Then he acts surprised that Lindsay wasn't happy about it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Mikey means well.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's hard on him that everyone moved on. He feels left out. I hope he really listened to what Lindsay said, because she really seems to understand that you don't want everyone in your relationship.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Justin and I have always been able to deal with it, not that we should have had to. Maybe when Mikey sees we can manage without him, he’ll stop trying to make it better.” Brian tells me. 

 

 

“Or worse, he tends to get blinded by what he thinks.” I tell him. 

 

 

“About the moving back, we all plan to, but not the way Michael will like. Mel and Lindsay are going to live on the property Justin’s house is on. They need to be away from Michael and Deb just popping up all the time. They managed to figure out how to make their relationship work and I never thought they would. I want them to be able to keep it strong, but If it's like it was, we could see another meltdown.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do you ever get tired of taking care of everyone?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It's what I do, I'm just lucky Justin understands it.” He tells me, lighting up. 

 

 

“You seem to deal with Justin doing the same thing too.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ted says that Justin can make what I say easier for everyone to understand. I think he just says it nicer, but it's his upbringing.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He just knows that everyone needs to be handled differently. When Lindsay started about Justin’s career, he didn't make an issue of it, just shared his feelings.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You see why I don't bother, Justin can handle himself, but I've always known that, it's why I love the twat.” He tells me blowing out a smoke ring. 

 

 

“Finish that so we can go, Michael’s convinced we can do a whole issue of Rage convincing the mothers of his and JT’s kids that ‘The Frozen Fortress’ is brainwashing them.” Justin tells him.

 

 

“Don’t tell me, Zephyr sends emails that break the brainwashing?” Brian asks, pulling Justin to him.

 

 

“Don’t give him any ideas, Blake is ready to kill him already.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why is Blake upset?” I ask him. 

 

 

“He doesn’t send you anything does he?” I ask him. 

 

 

“No.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Lucky you, we all love being told by article Mikey’s opinion.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You know how parental controls are put on kids? Put Ben control on Michael.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“Guys, before you go, we should make plans for the kids.” Michael tells them.

 

 

“We have plans, have fun with Jenny.” Brian tells him. 

 

 

“Which we do too, so you guys have fun with Gus.” I tell them looking at Michael. 

 

 

“Justin, don't let them talk you into having a baby. Brian and you should do like we did and adopt when you're ready.” Michael tells him.    

 

 

“I like the idea of a baby that comes from Justin, if you are feeling left out I'm sure you and Ben can adopt again.” Brian tells him, turning Justin towards their car.

 

 

“I'll send you an article about kids who need parents.” Michael yells as they close the car doors.

 

 

“Michael leave it alone.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ben, they could really help some kid, we did it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It was right for us, not everyone wants the same thing.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Look at our life compared to theirs, they need us.” He tells me. 

 

 

I kiss him to shut him up. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 9 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I had Justin begging me to let him cum and I slowly thrust to keep him on edge. I wanted those screams I told Mel about. I pulled out and slammed in again.

 

 

“Fucker if you don't move faster, I'm taking over.” He groans as I slide back out.

 

 

I smirk as I slowly push back in and let him moan his curses. Justin tightens his legs around me and flips us so he's riding me and begins to move to get what he needs from me. I grab his hips to slow him down because we have all night alone in our room.

 

 

“We… are… never… staying… at… the… girls’ house… again.” I pant out as he squeezes me.

 

 

Justin isn’t really listening because he's entered the place where only groaning makes any sense. I feel myself cummings and stroke him to help him finish. Justin yells as he spurts all over me, and just like our first night, the phone rings. I answer my phone.

 

 

“Seriously, it's like you hone in on Justin cumming and call.” I tell Mel.

 

 

“As much as Justin cumming has my support, I called to get you to let us into the room when we get there.” Mel tells me.

 

 

“Not that orgies aren’t fun, but I have a rule that you have to have a dick to be included.” I tell her. 

 

 

“My rule is the opposite. I have a sleepy ten year old, who would like to stay with his dads.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Okay, I'll let you be the exception to the rule. Give us a minute to clean up and I'll let you in.” I tell her. 

 

 

“What's up?” Justin asks me. 

 

 

“Gus wants us.” I tell him. 

 

 

Justin leaps out of bed and runs in the bathroom.

 

 

“Brian hurry we don't want Gus to ask questions.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I thought the book you were trying to read said it was good for them to ask questions.” I joke. 

 

 

“Not those ones, did you want to imagine your parents having sex?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I think you just made my dick permanently soft.” I tell him.

 

 

Justin looks over his shoulder and licks his lips as he stares at my cock. “Nope, still capable.” He smirks.

 

 

We clean up and Justin helps me handle my erectile function. Justin runs out and gets dressed to answer the door when Mel knocks. Gus heads straight to the made bed and climbs in.

 

 

“Lindsay and I decided to let him stay with you. Michael started planning outings you and Justin were going on with him and Ben. We thought we'd save you the time of explaining again that you already made plans.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Tell him we can do something later in the week, hopefully he'll be happy with that.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“I swear, if he keeps bringing up that he should father the baby you might have me staying here.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Too bad you waited so long to bring Gus, because Justin could have knocked…” 

 

 

“Brian!” They say together.

 

 

“I seriously need a drink just to deal with him.” Mel whispers. 

 

 

“When Deb finds out I'll share a bottle with you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Yeah, we might need to, I can just hear her. “What's wrong with my Michael, he’s the perfect guy to knock your ass up again.” Mel says with a screech in her voice. 

 

 

“Of course, you picked her Sunshine, so you could be off the hook.” I tell her. 

 

 

“With my luck, she’ll think this gives her the right to tell me how to treat Justin too.” She tells me. 

 

 

“She just likes to be included in our lives.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“I know it's just hard to get her to understand that we aren’t like Michael, who let's her do anything she wants. I love her but I don’t need the constant complaints about not letting Jenny stay the summer by herself at Michael and Ben’s house in the past. We wanted Jenny to be older so they wouldn't have a toddler making a mess everywhere. They act like we are trying to keep her from them. It's just Michael and Deb don't see it that way.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Sit down and I'll get the drinks.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian it's fine, I just hate feeling like I have to be at their beck and call.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I figured with Gus asleep, and no potential to let Justin show me that his age has its advantages, we could let Lindsay deal with him.” I tell her getting us a drink. 

 

 

“I could deal with having to listen to monkey sex, want to change accommodations with Mikey?” She tells me taking a gulp of her drink.

 

 

“Nope then he'd show up to tell us we aren't doing it right.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You two act like this is something new with him. He's always been like this.” Justin tells us.

 

 

“I normally can deal with his tantrums, but it's like being away make them less tolerable. He's like that friend you have that as you get older you forget why you liked them. I never got why you never told him off when he treated you like the enemy.” She tells Justin.

 

 

“I had what he never could. It wasn’t me, it was that Brian was with me. Over time we were able to not make that something to hate me for. He’ll always wonder, but it's not like it was anymore. I learned to tune him out when he tells me what I should do.” He tells her. 

 

 

“What he's trying to tell you is don't listen when Michael tries to tell you what you should be doing.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I tell myself Jenny loves him, and don't get out a frying pan and use it the way Deb does her hand.” She tells us. 

 

 

“He'd probably think you were cooking for him when you showed up with the frying pan.” Justin giggles. 

 

 

“If it wasn’t for having my angel, I'd have hit myself over the head for asking him.” She tells him laughing. 

 

 

“I learned to talk to Ben so he can deal with Michael. Ben seems to be able to get him to see reason.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Who do you think I call when it involves Jenny? Ben at least listens before freaking out. Michael automatically assumes there's a problem. Ben must have really wanted to get into Heaven to agreed to marry Michael.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Ben just likes that Michael depends on him. I think that Ben must like being in charge of everything.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“It was nice until I met you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I let you think you're in charge on Thursdays, but too much and all my hard work goes to waste.” He smiles. 

 

 

“You know I sometimes wonder how nobody see that you two make it work. I had my doubts but as the years went on I really saw you two and realize you didn’t try to make each other do things unless you were ready for it. It really made me look at what I did to Lindsay, instead of asking her what she wanted I told her what I already decided.” She tells us. 

 

 

“We learned from mistakes we made in the beginning, we are far from perfect. I wanted him to say I love you and didn't realize he was telling me every day. I ended us because I listened to people telling me if we didn't only commit to each other we were just fooling ourselves. What nobody understood was that to us sex with other people wasn’t saying we didn’t love each other, just that sex was fun. Brian knew that I needed to experience life first and made it so it wasn't something that would hurt our relationship.” He tells her. 

 

 

“We came home to each other, not other people, so to us it wasn't about us.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I had problems because we saw it differently. When I cheated, I didn’t love the other person just wanted something different, and in a way I see what Lindsay did like that now. So I get why you two seem okay with the tricks.” She tells us. 

 

 

“Seemed.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Really, what changed? Shit you don't have to answer, it's not my business.” She tells us. 

 

 

“I'm okay with telling you. After I proposed I was ready to give him everything, so I didn't go back to the tricking. Justin leaving didn’t change my mind.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I did about a year ago but got tired of it. We talked and are ready for it to be just us.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“Then we don't have to wait to do this. I was going ask if you guys could refrain until we got pregnant but I guess I don't need to.” She tells us. 

 

 

“I still would rather do it at a clinic with all the test they run, it's safer that way. I know I'm clean but I don't want to take any chances on it. I want the baby to have the best chance in life.” Justin tells us. 

 

 

“I still have nightmares about the dangerous way we did it with Michael. It was reckless and irresponsible to not make sure, with Ben having HIV. We didn’t even blink when Michael handed Lindsay his donation.” She tells us. 

 

 

“You were lucky, because it could have turned out bad. It's why I constantly made sure Justin and I used condoms, I refused to hurt him with the way my life was.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'd better get back, have fun with Gus, don’t worry about Michael we can keep him busy.” She tells us. 

 

 

“I want to look into clinics and go ahead and have my part done, so Friday you want to come so we can get that done?” Justin asks her. 

 

 

“I love you for doing this.” She tells him pulling him into a hug.

 

 

“No touching lifegiver.” I tell her pulling Justin to me.

 

 

LINDSAY 

 

 

Mel came home dancing around the bedroom. I laughed when she dipped me and kissed me. She told me that Justin was doing his part this week and she could do her part when it was time. I spun her towards the bed and made her smile again. If only we could have stayed in bed. 

 

 

“Michael what are you doing?” I ask staring at the mess he made.

 

 

“I wanted to cook breakfast for everyone this morning. That way we can all make plans for the kids.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Brian and Justin already have plans. Mel and I are going to do stuff that we couldn't do because of the kids. We figured you and Ben could have Jenny to yourselves. So there was no need to make this big mess for the five of us.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Six, until Gus goes.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Five because Gus wanted to go with his dads, so Mel took him.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You should have told me. I would have taken him, it would have given Brian, Justin, and me a chance to hang out.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Sorry Mel and I was thinking of Gus, not you.” I tell him cleaning up the stuff on the floor.

 

 

“Michael why are you messing up the kitchen?” Mel asks him. 

 

 

“I thought it would be nice to have a breakfast with everyone but nobody tells me anything.” He pouts.

 

 

“Look who woke me… Michael what are you doing?” Ben asks holding Jenny.

 

 

“Making fucking breakfast, not that anybody told me that Gus was gone.” He tells Ben.

 

 

“Daddy said Grandma words.” Jenny whispers to us.

 

 

“Sorry Honeybun, Daddy just thinks it would have been nice to be told things, since no one seem to tell me anything until it’s DECIDED.” He tells us.

 

 

“Lindsay we’ll clean up, why don’t you and Mel get Jenny dressed.” Ben tells us staring unhappily at Michael.

 

 

Mel and I know an out when it’s offered and grab Jenny and get out. Ben looks ready to kill Michael, but hey we don’t have to deal with it so we count it as a win.

 

 

BEN

 

 

“This is really getting ridiculous. They don’t have to explain anything to you Michael. Brian and Justin came to see Gus not you. We came for Jenny, not Brian and Justin. Mel and Lindsay made a decision to let Gus stay with his fathers and you're upset because they didn’t tell you, or is it they didn’t want you to be the father?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t care about that but I wanted to see Brian and Justin, that’s why I told you we were coming early.” He tells me.

 

 

“Do you see what happens when you don’t think before you do things? You make a mess like you did in this kitchen. Mel and Lindsay deserved to know we were changing our plans but no, because you couldn’t do something as simple as make a phone call and tell them. I’m not happy that you lied to me about asking them.” I tell him feeling like a parent not his husband.

 

 

“Ben, why should I have to call to see Jenny?” He tells me.

 

 

“Like Carl and I have both told you and Deb, it’s not your mother’s house. Most people want to know other people are coming to their house. We came to see Jenny and spend time with Jenny so guess what we are going to do that and nothing else unless we are invited to it. Please tell me you understand what I’m telling you because I’m not asking.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m sorry, I guess I was feeling like everyone wants to do things just not with me.” He tells me hugging me.

 

 

“Michael can’t it be enough that Jenny and I want to do things with you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Of course it is.” He tells me smiling.

 

 

I was just glad he got it and started cleaning the mess he made in the kitchen. Michael stood for a minute then pulled out his phone.

 

 

“I need to ask Ma something.” He tells me walking out the back door.

 

 

“Ma, you won’t believe…” I hang my head and snort that he couldn’t just leave it alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 10 by starlight

EMMETT 

 

 

I got to the kitchen and really wanted to turn around when I heard Deb tell Carl they needed to go see the girls and straighten them out. Carl stayed silent but I could tell he was working up to what he wanted to say with each rant Deb went on. 

 

 

“I can’t believe they would make the huge decision to have another baby and not tell us.” Deb says as she slams the frying pan on the stove.

 

 

Carl looks at me and rolls his eyes. I shrug and smile as I grab some juice from the refrigerator. We both know until she’s through to just let her rant away. I sit down and kiss Carl’s cheek for being able to love her when she gets like this. 

 

 

“Then to want someone else and not my Michael, I don’t get why they would do that. Don’t you think that they should have asked him first and not someone else?” She ask us.

 

 

“No, I think they have the right to use who they want. Honey, do you really want to go through Michael fighting with them again?” He asks her.

 

 

“Michael was worried about Jenny, he did what he thought was best. I didn’t agree with it but Michael wasn’t doing it to cause problems, only to show the girls that they had a responsibility to keep him informed.” She tells us like she doesn’t remember supporting Mel and not Michael when it happened.

 

 

“It wasn’t something Michael needed to know. If it had been about Jenny, then yes they would have a responsibility to tell Michael.” Carl tells her.

 

 

“They didn’t tell him about having another baby, don’t you think that would affect Jenny’s life?” She asks us.

 

 

“Possibly, but hopefully in a good way. Deb, why are you upset about this?” Carl asks her.

 

 

“It’s like they don’t want us doing things with the kids. I really need to talk to Justin about this, I can’t believe Brian isn’t stopping him from doing this.” She tells us.

 

 

“Deb, Brian doesn’t stop Justin from anything. Justin makes his own decisions and Brian supports him.” I tell her.

 

 

“You knew, didn’t you?” She eyes me.

 

 

“I found out, but until they made a decision, Ted and I weren’t saying anything.” I tell her.

 

 

“You should have told me, I had a right to know about it. Michael should have known before he had to find out the way they told him.” She tells me.

 

 

“Why do you and Michael think that everyone has to clear things through you two?” Carl asks her.

 

 

“We are family and you tell your family when you do anything.” She tells us.

 

 

“I guess I better call everyone and tell them that I’m thinking about retiring. I mean I shouldn’t make a decision about my life without making sure they get to voice their approval or disapproval at something that only involves you and me. Emmett before you buy anything make sure you tell Deb and Michael, they might want to tell you what they think. Hell, Ted and Blake shouldn’t make any plans to do something because they need to clear it with you and Michael before they do something you might not like. Are you hearing how what you're saying sounds?” Carl asks her.

 

 

“Michael is hurt that they didn’t include him.” She tells Carl.

 

 

“I wouldn’t have told either of you until the kid was graduating if this is what they have to deal with. We are not going to Canada to do anything, because it has nothing to do with us.” Carl tells her, throwing is napkin on the table and kissing Deb before he walks out the door.

 

 

“Why is he so upset?” Deb asks, bewildered.

 

 

“He doesn’t understand why you think it’s something you need to be involved in.” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael was so excited to go see Brian and Justin and then when he gets there, it’s like they were to busy to include him in their lives.” She tells me.

 

 

“Like Carl just said, when do they get to make decisions without a committee telling them how to do it?” I ask her.

 

 

“Why Justin and not Ted or Michael?” She asks me.

 

 

“Deb, most likely because Mel is as close with Justin as she is with Ted. Ted never wanted kids and wouldn’t have agreed. Mel knows that and wouldn’t have put him in the position where he would have to turn her down. After the things that happened with Jenny, even I would have told them not to go down that path with Michael again, if I thought it was any of my business.” I tell her.

 

 

“You're not offended they didn’t ask you?” She ask me.

 

 

“I’m not really in a place where having a kid would be something I’d want. I also would want my kid with me, not living somewhere else if I did have one. Deb, before you say Justin would want the same thing, Brian told me that they are working on a way to make that possible for Justin.” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael said they were talking about moving back. I told him to tell the girls that we will help them find a place close by so we can help them.” She tells me.

 

 

“Once again, that’s not something either of you should worry about. It’s up to them where they want to be. Don’t be surprised if they don’t want to live near all of us.” I tell her.

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay need to realize that we would be here to help if they picked somewhere that made it easier for us to get to.” She tells me.

 

 

“I think they showed you both that they were tired of everyone just popping over. They aren’t going to want to come back if they don’t have privacy to do it their way.” I tell her.

 

 

“All they ever did was fight and break up and get back together. We were only trying to help them.” She tells me.

 

 

“We could say the same for Brian and Justin, but they managed to do what made it work for them without anyone interfering.” I tell her.

 

 

“Trust me, I had to take care of a lot with those two. I’m proud of them for sticking with each other but they didn’t do it without us.” She tells me.

 

 

“We didn’t do things without them helping us either, but it’s time to let them grow up and make their own lives. Michael shouldn’t need to call you just because he feels left out. He’s there to spend time with Jenny, not anyone else.” I tell her.

 

 

“Like they couldn’t just take the kids and do things together. I’m sure Brian and Justin would have fun with Michael and Ben.” She tells me.

 

 

“Yeah but they wanted to have fun with Gus, but then that might not be what Michael wanted.” I tell her, getting up to leave, since this conversation is getting us nowhere.

 

 

“You tell Ted that he should have told me, and he’s going to hear it from me too.” She tells me as I shut the front door.

 

 

I headed out to meet Ted and Blake for breakfast but figured we better go somewhere other than the diner this morning, because Deb was on her way to work. Teddy really doesn’t need to hear it either.

 

 

“Hey Emmett, are you on your way? We’re just heading out.” Blake tells me.

 

 

“Head to anywhere but the diner, how about the bakery instead?” I suggest.

 

 

“Why?” Blake asks me.

 

 

“Captain Novotny found out his crew are about to mutiny and called the Admiral to straighten them out.” I tell him.

 

 

“Deb’s ready to hang us from the rafters I guess.” He tells me, sighing.

 

 

“Ted and everyone else who didn’t tell them. I almost asked if it’s like not informing the girls he was showing up early, but I wanted to save my balls.” I tell him.

 

 

“We’ll meet at the bakery, because Ted isn’t in the mood to play nice today. Michael called and started bitching and then got pissed when Ted didn’t seemed to be surprised about it. You are probably going to be on Michael’s shit list too, because he told Ted that if you knew and didn’t tell him that you’d hear it from him too.” He tells me, and I head in the direction of the bakery.

 

 

“I think it’s time for me to find a new place, because I want to still be friends with them.” I tell him.

 

 

“Like I told Ted, it will blow over, just give it time.” He tells me.

 

 

“You are way to positive, it comes from not being around when Michael wanted Justin wiped from the planet. That was not a good time for anyone.” I tell him.

 

 

“Yet with time they managed to make up.” He tells me.

 

 

“Not without Brian making them both do it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Seems like a theme, they fight, Brian solves it. How on earth doesn’t Michael see that?” He asks me as they pull up to the bakery. I hang up and wait for them to sit down.

 

 

“Teddy could answer that for you.” I tell Blake.

 

 

“What?” He asks, texting on his phone.

 

 

“Why Michael or even Deb never realized Brian is the one who solves things. I mentioned when Brian and Justin brok… spent time apart.” I tell them because Brian will never agree they broke up.

 

 

“Brian let everyone blame him for what he did. So no one would get mad at Michael.” Ted tells us distracted.

 

 

“And what really happened?” I ask because I always want to know, and Teddy will blab when he’s distracted.

 

 

“Michael told Brian that he should have let Justin die, in the garage.” Ted tells us, texting and then looks up realizing he told us.

 

 

“WHAT!” Blake and I scream.

 

 

“Fuck, no one knows that and I found out only because someone overheard it. Do not bring this up, because Brian wouldn’t want Justin to know that Michael said something like that.” Ted tells us both.

 

 

“I can’t believe I felt sorry for Michael, you just let him come and yell at me. I’ll tell him what I think of what he did.” I tell them.

 

 

“Emmett don’t, it’s not worth the trouble it would cause. Brian let it go, so don’t bring it back up.” He tells me.

 

 

“Oh man, I feel so furious at Michael at this moment, why wasn’t I told Teddy?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t tell you lots of things because you can’t keep a secret, you know, like the whole baby thing.” He tells me.

 

 

“It was Blake who told me to call Brian.” I tell Teddy, smiling at a scowling Blake.”You might be devious, but I cover my ass too.” I tell Blake, laughing.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

Gus and Justin were looking around the mall of all places. Gus wanted something to impress Megan. He and Justin were looking in the Gap, God help me. How did Gus become like my twat when it came to dressing? My phone rang and it wasn’t Michael or Deb so I figured it was safe to answer.

 

 

“Hey, look to your left.” Lindsay tells me, I look over to see her and Mel waving at me.

 

 

“Is there some reason you're following me around?” I ask her.  

 

 

“Brian we are at the mall, not a place I thought I’d ever run into you.” She tells me coming up the stairs to me.

 

 

“Somehow our son got his fashion sense from Justin.” I tell her.

 

 

“He likes the way the pants fit.” She tells me.

 

 

“Yeah, I can definitely agree with that.” I tell her, watching Justin bend over.

 

 

“He does look good in them.” Lindsay teases me.

 

 

“He looks even better without them.” I smirk.

 

 

“Emmett, calm down and explain it again.” Mel tells Emmett on the phone.

 

 

“We knew, but unless Brian wanted us to know, it was better not to mention it.” She tells him.

 

 

“What’s wrong with Emmett?” I ask them.

 

 

“Emmett, I’m with Brian, so I’ll talk to you later.” Mel tells him hanging up.

 

 

“Everything okay?” Lindsay asks her.

 

 

“I guess, Emmett finally found out why Brian punched Michael.” She tells Lindsay.

 

 

“What?” I ask, because I never told anyone, just let Michael get away with his usual bullshit.

 

 

“Ted found out and told us later. We never brought it up because we felt like shit when we found out, after yelling at you.” She tell me.

 

 

“Justin never needs to hear it.” I tell them.

 

 

“Did you ever really forgive him for that?” Lindsay asks me.

 

 

“It was Mikey running at the mouth, he never thinks, just says shit. He didn’t really mean what he said.” I tell them.

 

 

“So no, you never really did.” Mel tells me and I shrug as Justin and Gus come out with bags.

 

 

“It’s in the past.” I let them know.

 

 

“Understood.” Lindsay tells me.

 

 

“Want to have lunch together?” Mel asks Justin.

 

 

“Sure, I found a book about organic versus store bought baby food. How do you feel about making food instead of using things that have chemicals in them?” Justin asks, and I smile because this is what Mel had to look forward to.

 

 

“I always thought we should have done that for Gus and Jenny.” Lindsay tells Justin, and I see Mel make faces behind their backs.

 

 

“I wonder if we should try to grow the vegetables?” Justin asks Lindsay.

 

 

“Justin have you ever grown anything that lived?” I ask him.

 

 

“No, but how hard could it be?” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

“We are going to have to stop them before we end up with a dead garden, Lindsay can’t do it either.” Mel tells me.

 

 

“I have a feeling that you and I will have to keep the baby from their great ideas.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian, I looked at how to build a crib and it doesn’t look hard.” He tells me.

 

 

“Sunshine, why would we do that when I have a Visa to take care of it?” I smirk.

 

 

“Then I could rub your shoulders and wipe the sweat off you with my tongue.” He whispers to me.

 

 

“Brian… Brian, hey you okay?” Lindsay asks as Justin sashays off, smiling over his shoulder.

 

 

“I think I want to try the whole building a crib thing.” I tell them.

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 11 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I decided to save Justin from a day with Michael by telling Michael we could do something with the kids Friday afternoon, while he and the girls went to the clinic. Ben told me he would handle Michael if I wanted to do something with Gus alone. I decided to save myself from hearing how we didn’t do anything together. Ben made the decision to take them to the park, so the kids could play while Michael complained.

 

 

“They are really doing it now?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Justin is, but Mel isn’t ready yet. Something about cycles, I stopped listening to them because I only care that it's done.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why spend the money on a clinic? He just needs to hand it to them, they can do the rest.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Justin wanted to make sure every test came back clean.” I tell him. 

 

 

“See, this is the reason you two need to stop tricking. Then Justin wouldn't be worried about that.” He tells me.

 

 

“It's because of the way you did it that they are doing it this way. Michael, no matter how safe you think you are, you never know for sure.” I tell him. 

 

 

“So they didn't want me because of Ben?” He asks, fuming.

 

 

“It had nothing to do with Ben. Mel wanted Justin, she wasn't even thinking of anyone else. Truthfully, it's time for you to stop being pissed they didn’t choose you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm worried about you and Justin. You are trying to work on your relationship and Mel jumps in to get a baby. They obviously weren’t thinking of how this could affect you and Justin.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's the same as them having Gus. Justin and I talked about it and decided together that he would do this. You need to worry about Ben, not us.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ben and I have a great relationship, why would you think anything was wrong?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Ben is barely speaking to you after you got Deb worked up over this. Ben can usually deal with you, but you're making everything more complicated than it needs to be. I want Justin to have anything he wants, and I knew someday he'd want a child, but like he said, how long before either of us has the time to have one. By doing it this way, all my children will grow up together. It makes sense for us to do it this way, and you need to let it go.” I tell him. 

 

 

“There was a time when you'd have told me everything, lately it's like I only get things second hand. What changed so that you no longer include me?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Justin changed things. He has to be first, not you. I can't run to you if I want Justin and I to work. You shouldn't be coming to me either, it's what our partners are for.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It doesn’t mean you keep things from me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Michael, part of the reason I do is because you say things that make me wonder why I still want to be friends.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He hurt you.” He tells me crossing his arms.

 

 

“We hurt each other, and you butting in didn’t help the situation. You know that Justin has never heard what you said that day, don't you? If he had, I don't think he could have stayed your friend. It's why I let you get away with it.” I tell him, lighting up to keep from saying I never really forgave him either.

 

 

“You know I didn't mean it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Then why say it?” I ask him. 

 

 

“You were hurting and it pissed me off that he stood there with the asshole he cheated with.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It had nothing to do with you. Justin needed me to show him with more than words he was important to me. Here's something you didn’t know, when he came to me and tried to stay, I practically threw the door open, and I told him it was his choice where he wanted to be. I didn’t give him a reason to stay. I wasn’t ready to be what he needed, so he went, with me shoving him out the door. I let him go, but never left him anymore than he left me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“If you would have listened when Justin was telling you how he felt about Brian, none of that would have happened.” Ben tells him, sitting down.

 

 

“I listened to him complain that Brian was being Brian.” He tells us. 

 

 

“Yet instead of telling Brian how Justin felt, you only told him something guaranteed to break them up.” Ben tells him. 

 

 

“I had to watch Justin kissing that asshole, he didn’t deserve anything from me.” He tells us. 

 

 

“You didn’t deserve anything from him, but he still helped you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm going to play with the kids.” He tells us, walking off.

 

 

“He's never going to see what he did as wrong.” Ben tells me. 

 

 

“I'm never going to see what he said as right.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Michael gets blinded by what he believes.” Ben tells me. 

 

 

“It's why I don't toss him out of my life. I know he honestly thought he was right, but some things are hard to overlook.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You got Justin back, so it worked out in the end.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I always knew he'd come back, so I waited. I'm not willing to walk through Michael’s mine fields anymore. Deb is going to have to understand the same thing.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll make sure they do.” He tells me. 

 

 

JUSTIN 

 

 

If it wasn’t embarrassing enough that everyone in the waiting room knew why I was in this room, having Mel and Lindsay cheer me on didn’t help. I looked around at the straight porn and had to wonder why sperm banks hadn’t thought of the fact that gay men do it too.

 

 

I wandered around trying to find some inspiration to fill the cup with. Finally I picked up my phone to ask how it worked for Brian.

 

 

“You done yet?” He asks me.

 

 

“I'm looking at ‘JUGS’ not men in skimpy clothes. Why do they think only straight men do this?” I ask him. 

 

 

“So you're having issues? I could have helped you instead of hanging here with Michael of the perpetual moan.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Can you not bring up Michael when I'm trying to bring myself up?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I could bring myself and help.” He offers.

 

 

“I don’t think they'll let us have sex here.” I tell him.

 

 

“If I was there I could sit you down and lick each of your nipples until you had goosebumps from slow slide of my tongue down your chest. I would slide my hand down your hips and reach around to stimulate your rim and slide into your tight ass with my fingers, getting you so hard that I would need to suck your cock, before any of my favorite protein gets wasted. I’d work you up then stop, because I love when you beg me to let you cum.” He stops when he hears me groaning my orgasim.

 

 

“Thanks.” I pant.

 

 

“I live to service you.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

 

I look at the cup and want to ask if this is enough, they never told me if it needed to be filled or was three quarters enough? I wasn’t going to go out there and ask my cheerleaders and decided to knock on the small door on the wall.

 

 

“Is there a problem?” The guy opens the door.

 

 

“No, it’s just nobody told me how much to give. Is this enough?” I ask him holding up the cup.

 

 

“Yeah, when they say fill it they just mean put something in it.” He tells me smiling.

 

 

“Oh, but this is like what I normally do.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ever think of getting into this business if that’s normal?” He jokes, at least I think he is.

 

 

“Well if that’s good, then I’m out of here.” I hand it to him and run out of the room.

 

 

“Everything go okay?” Lindsay asks me.

 

 

“Yep, sure, um... can we get out of here?” I ask, because people are watching us.

 

 

“We just need to wait until they confirm that everything is viable.” Mel tells me.

 

 

“Great.” I tell them enthusiastically.   

 

 

The doctor comes out and invites us into his office twenty minutes later. He smiles at me as I walk in and I’m feeling a little violated. Then decided to let him know that gay men need gay things to do this.

 

 

“The lab reported that everything is looking viable and that we have enough for a few tries if the first one doesn’t take.” He tells us.

 

 

“I won’t be ready until my next cycle.” Mel tells him, and I want to run from this conversation. I DON’T NEED TO KNOW THAT.

 

 

“Are you all going to want to be at the semination?” He asks us making notes.

 

 

“NOPE, they can do that on their own.” I tell them all.

 

 

“It will just be Lindsay and I.” Mel assures me.

 

 

“Just set up an appointment at the desk and I’ll see you when you're ready.” He tells Mel.

 

 

“Oh and Justin, if you ever want to help another couple we would love for you to donate here.” He tells me looking me up and down. What do they see me as, breeding stock?

 

 

“I have a suggestion.” I tell him.

 

 

“We welcome any suggestion that make it easier for clients.” He tells me.

 

 

“Looking at tits doesn’t do it for me.” I tell him, smirking when he stares at me.

 

 

“Justin!” Lindsay giggles.

 

 

“Seriously, I had to get Brian to help because it was tits everywhere.” I tell them all.

 

 

“We’ll take that under advisement.” The doctor says trying to keep a straight face.

 

 

“You should because I’m sure with the way you're staring at me that you understand what I’m saying.” I tell him as Mel drags me out of the office.

 

 

“Justin Taylor, what would your mother say?” Lindsay asks me, still laughing as we get in the car.

 

 

Shit, what will she say. Man if this was ever a time I wish I was an orphan, this is it. I call Brian because we have to tell my mom.

 

 

“Justin, I don’t think they need multiple donations.” Brian the smart ass tells me when he answers.

 

 

“Brian, we might be in trouble.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, please tell me they don’t both want to be your baby mommas?” He asks.

 

 

“No, but they brought up Mom, and we haven’t told her. You think Deb isn’t going to?” I ask him.

 

 

“Fucking A, we are going to die. It was a pleasure knowing you.” He tells me.

 

 

“So we might need to go to the Pitts, before Mom comes to us.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m going to kill the Novotny’s if Mommy Taylor finds out. I like my one ball and wanted to keep it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’ll protect all your yummy parts.” I tell him, while the girls groan.

 

 

“Guess we are going to be spending a couple days in hell.” He tells me.

 

 

I hang up and decided to try to get Mom to not talk to Deb until we have a chance to tell her. I swear nothing is ever a secret with this group. 

 

 

“Justin, just the child I want to talk to.” Mom answers sounding unhappy.

 

 

“I’m coming to visit, isn’t that exciting.” I tell her, hoping she’s pissed about something else.

 

 

“Really, after what Deb told me I wouldn’t be too excited.” She tells me.

 

 

“Brian and I wanted to tell you ourselves. I thought you would be happy to have your first grandchild.” I tell her.

 

 

“Trust me, I’m happy, but not about the way I found out. Tell Mel that I look forward to all of us spending time together.” She says like we are bad children.

 

 

“I’ll let her know, but after Michael is out of her line of fire.” I tell Mom.

 

 

“So did everyone know but me?” She asks, sounding hurt.

 

 

“We meant to let you know first, it’s just the way it happens when it comes to this group. One knows and then all know before you're ready to talk to your mother.” I tell her, hoping she won’t be too pissed at Brian and me.

 

 

“Are you planning on explaining how you became the one they wanted?” She tell me.

 

 

“Justin let me talk to her.” Mel tells me and I willingly let her deal with the wrath of Mom.

 

 

“Ms Taylor… Jen, thank you for having such a wonderful son. I wanted my baby to have a father that would raise it with the love I saw come from having such a loving mother.” Mel tells her.

 

 

“Yes, all of us talked and we plan to raise the baby as co-parents with Gus too… it means a lot that you see Gus that way… We will definitely make plans to visit soon… okay I’ll let him know, bye Jen.” Mel smiles as she hangs up.

 

 

“Is she less pissed?” I ask Mel.

 

 

“She told me that you better get your ass home, so is that less pissed to you?” She asks me.

 

 

“Nope, cause my mom only curses when she’s going to murder me.” I groan.

 

 

“Yeah, my mother always sounded like it put her out to curse.” Lindsay tells us.

 

 

“She seems to want to spend time with us.” Mel tells Lindsay.

 

 

“Of course she does, you're giving her a grandchild, you can do no wrong.” I tell her.

 

 

“Good, I get to rub it in Brian’s face that Mommy likes me best.” Mel smirks.

 

 

 


Chapter 12 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

Justin was fidgeting in the car on the way to Jen’s. I really think he forgets he's a grown up around his mother.  I called Ted and Cynthia for a meeting since we were in town. My plan was to deal with Jen’s hurt feelings, and any business with Kinnetik before we get on the road for home. Justin and I kept this visit quiet because I didn't want us to have to stay longer. After pulling up to Jen’s, Justin sat staring at her condo.  

 

 

“Justin are we going in or do you want to sit here until everyone knows we're here?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Let's go.” He sighs, getting out and walking to the door.

 

 

“Try to remember your not seventeen anymore.” I tell him following him in.

 

 

We found Jen in the kitchen making lunch for us. Justin cheered up when he saw food, somehow he equates her feeding him to her being okay with him. Jen puts out sandwiches and a grilled chicken salad out for us, which makes me smile because she thought of me too. 

 

 

“I've been patient and tried not to call, but really, I hear something like this from Deb.” She tells us, looking a little disappointed. 

 

 

“We should have told you when we found out, but Brian moved to be with me and I wasn’t thinking about anything but that.” He tells her taking a giant bite out of his chicken sub.

 

 

“Justin if you weren’t thinking of why you agreed to a baby, that worries me more.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Trust me, he was really thinking hard about this, I had to get him focused on what was going on around him a couple of times.” I tell her.

 

 

“Are you sure this is how you want to have a baby?” She asks us. 

 

 

“One of the things that we thought about was when we'd be ready, if ever. If we do it this way we know Mel and Lindsay will take care of it.” Justin tells her.

 

 

“You don’t want to be there for all the firsts?” She asks us. 

 

 

“I've been working on a way to make it possible for all of us to raise the baby together. It's just we didn’t want to have everyone involved in it. I’m rather pissed that Deb felt the need to run here and tell you something that Justin wanted to tell you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“She seems upset about it. Is it because they want Justin and not Michael?” She asks us. 

 

 

“We've been avoiding her calls, so I couldn't tell you why.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“If she's giving you a hard time, I could talk to her.” She tells us. 

 

 

“We'd rather them not know we came. Mel and Lindsay promised not to tell Michael.” I tell her. 

 

 

“She mentioned she heard all this from him. He seems to be feeling left out of everything, she told me. Are you and Michael having problems?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It's more that he thinks we need to pass everything that goes on in our lives by him. It's just Mikey being Mikey.” I tell her, shrugging.

 

 

“Mom, let me officially tell you that you're going to be a grandma.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“I'm happy, I just wished I heard it from you.” She tells him hugging him.

 

 

“I promise you'll hear everything first from now on.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Are you staying long?” She asks us. 

 

 

“I have a meeting with Ted and Cynthia, then if nothing is pressing we plan to drive back tonight.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Do you think the girls would mind if I visited them? I'd like to get to know them better.” She asks us. 

 

 

“Just call first.” Justin tells her. 

 

 

“Of course, I wouldn’t just show up.” She tells us, confused when we were laughing hysterically.

 

 

I left Justin with Jen, since Daphne was coming to see him. I told him to invite her to dinner before we left, I miss her too. I figured with a rental no one would realize I was here. So it didn't occur to me that Emmett would be at Kinnetik. Which means Baby better show up for Emmett. 

 

 

“Brian what are you doing here?” Emmett asks me. 

 

 

“I decided that calming Mother Taylor down was in our best interest. Yes, Justin’s here too, and yes you'll see him before I get us the fuck out of dodge. Unless, like all my other secrets, this gets out too.” I growl.

 

 

“I didn’t say anything about anything, so growl at Michael not me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm growling at you because if I growl at the people I want to, we'll be stuck here sorting out everyone's issues.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Okay, then growl to your heart’s content. I can take one for the team.” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

“I need to talk to Ted and Cynthia, so you can wait here or come in.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I have all the plans for the launch, I was just going to give them to Cynthia. You should tell Justin to come here so we can chat.” He tells me. 

 

 

“His mother wanted to spend time with him before we left, go there to get your gossip. He's meeting me here to take Daphne to dinner, but it might be better to have it here, less chance I have at growling.” I tell him.

 

 

“I want to growl a little myself.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do it when we're not here. Justin doesn’t need to hear why.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I wouldn’t be stupid enough to tell Justin.” He tells me.

 

 

“That also means Ben and Deb.” I tell him. 

 

 

“That wouldn't have either of them very happy with him. You sure you don't want them to know? Michael would be busy trying to explain his way out of the grave Deb would dig him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“As much as them fighting with each other sounds great, I don't want to remember it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll leave it, but if he starts giving me shit, all bets are off. Here, give this to Cynthia and I’m off to see Baby.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

I don’t think they understand that I have a hard enough time knowing Michael said what he said, that I don’t want it to keep coming up. I walk into my office and hand Cynthia Emmett’s packet. Ted comes in and sits on the couch with his paperwork.

 

 

“Have you found a location yet?” Cynthia asks me.

 

 

“I haven’t been there for more than a couple days before having to go see Gus. I’m hoping to convince the twat that a bigger apartment would be a good idea. I should just get Jen to come so she can feel included, since Deb decided to include her before we could.” I tell them.

 

 

“Deb went to Jen, didn’t she think you and Justin wanted to tell her?” Cynthia asks me.

 

 

“Cynthia, when a Novotny knows, everyone knows.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Brian if you want the office to be a branch we should be looking at smaller locations.” Ted gets to business, good old Teddy understands me.

 

 

“I’ve been making tentative plans to move back here next year when Mel and Lindsay could do it. We all want to raise the baby together with Gus. I want to eventually have Kinnetik New York with Cynthia running it. Ted we are going to be looking at Chicago eventually too. If we do this, we do it all the way. For now having everything being created here will be okay, but if the account is in New York we’ll have to staff it for clients needs. We have enough capital to not have to take out loans and I want to keep it that way.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m going to bring this up and shoot me down if you need to, but Chicago or New York might be a better place for the four of you. It will give all of you a break from here and be close enough that the others won’t bitch about it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t mind Chicago over New York. I bet Lindsay would love being there and Justin would have more time to do what he needs to.” Cynthia tells me.

 

 

“Part of my plans have to do with Justin’s house.” I tell them.

 

 

“But who would take over Chicago?” Ted asks me.

 

 

“Ted, it’s years off, but I always assumed, you. Unless you and Blake what to stay here.” I tell him.

 

 

“We’ll talk about it when it happens but I think Blake would like to do it.” Ted tells me, smiling.

 

 

“Can you make time to come up to New York next week. You can deal with any agreements if I find what I’m looking for.” I tell him.

 

 

“Sure, I’ll see if Blake and Emmett want to come. They can hang out with Justin while we work.” He tells me.

 

 

“Hopefully that will keep Justin from complaining that he misses everyone. If everything’s good, call Blake and tell him to come here for dinner. Emmett and Justin are going to bring stuff here.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“I assume that you're leaving after?” He asks me.

 

 

“As long as we can keep Deb from finding out we’re here.” I tell him.

 

 

“Mel called and said that Michael left mumbling about how Ben and him should go by Justin’s on the way home. You should be in the clear.” He tells me.

 

 

Justin came in with my woman, who ran and leapt in my arms.

 

 

“You better be glad that I didn’t want to be baby mama.” She tells me kissing me.

 

 

“I was hoping you wanted me.” I joke.

 

 

“Nope, I don’t see any kids in my future. Unless I find a man who doesn’t want my best friend. I called Mel and told her that Aunt Daphne will be at all important events.” She tells me.

 

 

Justin and Emmett were carrying bags and walked into the conference room together. I put Daphne down so she could go play with them. Blake came in waving and went to see Justin and his merry gang. I looked at my cell phone and decided to see what Mikey needed.

 

 

“Brian, Ben and I stopped over but you and Justin aren’t here. I was hoping to have dinner with you guys before going home.” He tells me.

 

 

“Sorry, we had things to do before going home, we won’t be back until tomorrow.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben and I are free until Monday, we could stay and see you in the morning.” He tells me.

 

 

“Why not go home and spend time with Hunter. Isn’t he home this weekend?” I ask.

 

 

“I guess, if you're so busy.” He tells me.

 

 

I hang up without replying because really, what do you say when he can’t get a clue. I go and sit at the table with Justin and company, smiling because Justin was here with me. I wonder if New York is better for all of us than here and decide that Justin and I have some talking to do about more permanent housing. I know Lindsay and Mel would be happier further away. If I can get Emmett to stop fighting the idea of Drew, than Justin would have Emmett closer to him, since Drew is retiring and living there already. I wonder if Drew wants to hang out with us next week too. I smirk at Emmett who looks wary. 

 

 

“Whatever it is, remember Baby loves me, and you’ll be in the dog house if I don’t like it.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“Ted and I were talking about you and Blake coming with him next week when he comes for business. It will give you all time to play together.” I tell Emmett and Justin.

 

 

After dinner Justin just has to hug everyone and they all act like they didn’t just spend two hours eating together, trying to out talk each other. I get Justin in the car and decided to give him time to think about New York being more permanent. 

 

 

“Do you want to stay in New York?” I ask him.

 

 

“I thought we were going to move back?’ He asks me.

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay would be happier there than here. It’s up to you, but Ted mentioned it, and it got me thinking that it could make things easier.” I tell him.

 

 

“I told you, where you are, I am, so we talk to the girls and make the decision.” He tells me.

 

 

“I figured I’d mention it now so you can think it to death before we got home.” I tell him, watching him put his phone down so I couldn’t see the screen. Like the big banner with “How To Teach Your Baby In The Womb” could be missed. 


Chapter 13 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

The more I thought about staying in New York, the more sense it made. Mel and Lindsay need the distance from Michael and Deb, and I could make Kinnetik New York just as big as Pittsburgh. I want Justin to have the time to take his career where he wants to and not put things on hold because of changing his life to suit ours. 

 

 

“I want us to start looking for a house here.” I tell him. 

 

 

“My apartment isn't that bad.” He tells me.   

 

 

“I wasn’t saying that, I want to give Kinnetik a chance here and a year isn't going to be enough.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What about all the plans to move back? Mel and Lindsay seemed happy about them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm sure they'd be fine with moving here. It could solve a lot of problems for all of us.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You mean Michael and Deb being all over them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“If we move back, the house isn't going to stop them from showing up and expecting all of us to welcome the constant and unannounced visits. You and I could deal with it, but Mel and Lindsay can't. You know Deb is never going to believe we don't need her to tell us how to do everything.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You mean Michael, Deb will be fine once she thinks about it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You're fine with her running to your mom? Because I'm not.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It wasn’t something I liked, but she's Deb and like Michael sometimes can't see past what she thinks is right.” He tells me. 

 

 

“As much as we love her, it's going to become like it was. I don't want us to have to spend every day dealing with it. In New York, we can hang up without everyone appearing at the door five minutes later to repeat what we didn’t listen to the first time. I want us to be able to make plans without having to change them for everyone else all the time. This past week was the same as our lives were in Pitts, I know you don't let it bother you, but I'm tired of it. ” I tell him. 

 

 

“What’s really bothering you? Because it can’t be just that.” He asks me.

 

 

“I want us to be somewhere where the past isn’t brought up constantly to remind us of things that have nothing to do with us now. Do you like when we go to Deb's and everyone talks about everything we did?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I could do without the comments about our relationship being between one fight to the next. I don't think that's what's bothering you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“When we broke up the last time, why did you go to Michael's house?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I knew he wouldn’t try to convince me to go back to you. It was hard enough to walk away but everyone else would have tried convince me I gave up too easily. Michael just saw it as inevitable. I needed to stay somewhere that I wouldn't have just turned back around and admitted I wanted us to do something you weren’t ready for. I thought you'd be okay that Michael was helping me, and I did, until you showed up flipping out.” He tells me. 

 

 

“And had to listen to my best friend tell the whole house I would never be what you wanted.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Do you think that's what I heard that night?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I didn’t see you running after me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I needed time. But the words weren’t what I heard. I saw for the first time that my leaving mattered to you. I didn’t run for you because I didn't want to keep running into the same things we already were doing. Brian it was hard not to.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It changed the way I viewed Michael. My behavior that night might have screamed ‘fuck you’, but I needed him to help me, instead he was yelling all the reasons no one should want to be with me. It's not how I want our lives to be.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You need to know that what I saw was you proving you loved me, even when you couldn’t say it. Even when I wouldn’t admit it was always there, in everything you did. If staying in New York is what you want for us, than we stay, regardless of if Mel and Lindsay want to.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Than we need to talk about the house. I can keep it and it wouldn’t hurt us financially, but do you want to?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I need to know why you really bought it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You wanted a home. In a way you've been homeless the entire time we were together. I wanted you to have a place that you could for once call yours. I wanted us to have something that belong to both of us.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We need to sell it and find that together. The house isn’t my home, you are. I will always love what it symbolizes, but I only needed you, to find my home.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I love you too, Twat.” I tell him pulling up to the apartment.

 

 

“Could you prove we didn’t grow twats, because I'm starting to wonder.” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

Ben was asleep so I wandered around our hotel room. He’s been less than thrilled with me lately. I don't understand why everyone wants to move on. I tried it with David and ended up miserable without everyone. I'm trying to save them from my mistake. If they think being away from home is going to help they need to remember how it turned out for me. I came home and found Ben and two children. It's why I know being together in Pittsburgh is better for all of us.

 

 

I just need for them to see it. I pick up my phone to call Brian but hang up because he's not listening right now. I dial Ted to see if I can get him to understand.

 

 

“Michael? Is everything okay?” He answers, sounding like he was asleep.

 

 

“I needed to talk.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's one in the morning.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's important and no one will listen.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Give me a minute.” He tells me. “Okay, I just didn’t want to wake up Blake, what's up?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Why can’t everyone see that moving away isn’t the answer?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay moved because they needed to, for them. I really didn't see them making it even with the move, but they are doing better, so I was wrong. Michael, believe it or not, we don't know what's best for everyone.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I tried leaving and realized it wasn't the answer.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You never really left when you and David moved. You spent all your time in Pittsburgh in your heart. It's why it didn't work for you.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I tried, I went where David wanted and met people he knew. It just wasn't the life I thought it would be.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay found what they needed, so it's not the same for them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Brian and Justin were doing fine without Brian having to move.” I point out.

 

 

TED

 

 

I really tried to steer this away from involving Brian and Justin, but I'm sure this is what's really bothering him. How will Michael manage to tie his shoes, if Brian doesn’t show him? 

 

 

“He deserves to have what we do, which is to be with the man he loves. He shouldn’t have to be where you want him to be.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I want both of them to come home.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Michael, whether you realize it or not, home is your partner, not a house or city. There might come a time when Pittsburgh is the place all of us visit, not live. Ben could be offered a job that could make moving a possibility for you, are you going to make him turn it down out of fear of moving?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Did he tell you that?” Michael asks, freaking out.

 

 

“No, I think Ben would have told you first. I was just using it as an example.” I tell him.

 

 

“Shit, you scared me, Ben and I are never moving.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You can’t say that unless it happens. I know that if Brian’s plans for Kinnetik go the way he wants, Blake and I will talk to each other and make a decision if we move, but neither one of us get to decide it without talking to the other.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What about Blake’s career, isn’t it important? You act like picking up and moving is easy. I have a store, I can’t just leave. What about Ma? She needs us, but no one thinks about that.” He complains. 

 

 

“What if Carl retires and wants to move them someplace without ten feet of snow every winter, are you going to demand she stays too?” I must be tired if I didn't see this was going to freak him out.

 

 

“He better not be trying to get her to move. I swear, he'll being hearing my opinion on it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Once again, it was just an example, not a plan. You need to stop worrying about anything that doesn’t involved you and Ben.” I tell him. 

“Ma and I are going to start looking for places where Mel and Lindsay could live. We both think they would be better off somewhere we could help when they need us.” He tells me, changing the subject. 

 

 

I roll my eyes and start making faces at Blake who came out to see where I was. 

 

 

“Michael?” He whispers. 

 

 

I nod and shake my head as Michael goes on about how he and Deb are going to practically try to live with Mel and Lindsay. I set the phone down and pulled Blake on my lap.

 

 

“Why are you on the phone at one thirty instead of with me?” He whispers, kissing me.

 

 

“I'm an idiot.” I tell him, letting him lean into me.

 

 

“I think with Brian and Justin not always seeing eye to eye that it's better for Mel and Lindsay to be near Ben and I. We could show them how relationships can work. It's not always…” I put the phone back on the couch because it should take him ten minutes to explain his point of view.

 

 

“Hang up.” Blake whispers kissing down my chest.

 

 

“Then he shows up to make his p… oin.. t.” I moan as Blake reminds me what I could be doing. I pick up and try not to moan as Blake swallows around my cock. “Michael… I… I… oh fuck… later.” I tell him, hanging up.

 

 

Blake smiles, knowing he made his point about where I needed to be. I follow my favorite twink into the bedroom as he drops his shorts. Michael can complain to Deb, because I have a partner to keep happy.       

 

 

MEL

 

 

Jen called and asked if either we could visit soon or if she could visit us. It really shows the difference between the grandmother's to us. She wasn't trying to tell us what she expected of us, just wanted the chance to get to know us better. It was strange to see how Lindsay really got along with Jen. We were getting ready for bed when Lindsay brought up going to Pittsburgh. 

 

 

“We could visit her, than Michael can keep Jenny for the weekend.” Lindsay suggests.

 

 

“Jen would probably want to spend time with all of us.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'm trying to save us from Michael’s complaints if we stay with Jen.” She tells me.

 

 

“I know, but the minute they find out we stayed with her, it will be, why we didn't stay with Deb or Michael.” I tell her.

 

 

“You don’t want them to know we are coming do you?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I want to be able to put any fears Jen has to rest. If they know, we'll be spending time with them. I want us to have a good relationship with Jen.” I tell her  

 

 

“You just want her to deal with Deb.” Lindsay giggles. 

 

 

“I want you giggling and being the silly woman I love. I watched you talking to Jen and you seemed more relaxed than when Deb calls.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Deb just says things that I'm not always comfortable with.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's just the way she talks. Plus you're a bit of a prude.” I tell her, laughing when she opens her mouth to deny it.

 

 

“I wanted one conversation that doesn't involve… dick…, see I can say it.” She tells me blushing.

 

 

“You can say a lot of things but I do understand that you were bored that night. Jen does seem like a breath of fresh air, without hearing a swear word every other sentence. She would understand your feelings in a way Deb couldn’t.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mel, Deb loves us. She just swears while she's telling us.” Lindsay tells me, laughing as she walks in the bathroom to get ready for bed.  

 

 

I followed her and decided to keep her smiling the rest of the night.                                     

 


Chapter 14 by starlight

EMMETT 

 

 

You know that gossip is like an itch that you can't reach? It drives you insane but you can’t do anything about it. We were eating dinner at Deb’s on Sunday because she wanted all of us there. Michael was still grumbling about not seeing Brian before he came home. Teddy seemed to smile at Blake every time something came out of Michael’s mouth. Ben seemed to only be talking to Hunter about school. How Michael didn’t notice the tick in Ben’s cheek every time he complained was a mystery to me.

 

 

“I wonder where they were that we didn’t find them at home?” Michael asks Ted. Tick, Tick.

 

 

“Probably fucking in the bathroom at the airport and missed their flight.” Deb tells us, laughing. Tick.Tick.  

 

 

“They didn’t tell Mel or Lindsay they were going anywhere either. Ben and I stopped by so we could spend time with them and ended up having to change our plans. I swear they should just give us a schedule so we know where they are.” Michael complains. Tick Tick Tick, guess Ben really didn’t like that one.

 

 

“Michael, they don’t owe you an explanation for their whereabouts.” Deb tells him and we all practically snapped our necks when she said that one. “The girls should have been better about telling you things though.” Deb adds and the world is righted again.

 

 

“What about Brian and Justin?” Hunter asks looking up from his phone.

 

 

“They weren’t home last night when we stopped by Justin’s apartment on the way here.” Michael tells him. Tick Tick.

 

 

“Why did you look for them there instead of here, I mean this is where they were last night.” Hunter asks him, confused. SHIT.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” Deb and Michael ask at the same time.

 

 

Hunter looks at Ted and me and seems to realize he told on Brian and Justin. “Nothing, I could have been mistaken.” He mumbles.

 

 

“They came here didn’t they?” Michael asks Ted, glaring at him.

 

 

“They didn’t come to see me, they are going to hear it from me.” Deb tells us.

 

 

Ben’s cheek stopped ticking but I think we could count the thinning of his lips and the not so happy look as a tick.

 

 

“They didn’t come see you because they were doing what they wanted, not what you two seem to think they should, you know, tricking in bathrooms.” Ben tells them.

 

 

“I was kidding, but not to stop by and talk to me is inexcusable.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“I think they were more upset because you ran to Jen and told her something that Justin should have been allowed to tell her.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“I think that she should have already been told they were doing this, maybe she can tell them it’s not a good idea.” Michael tells us. 

 

 

“Michael, I just wanted Jen’s opinion, it’s up to them to do what they want.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“I think that everyone knowing before me was really shitty.” Michael looks at Ted and me.

 

 

I held it in because I promised, but it was really hard to do. 

 

 

“Mel’s my best friend and needed my opinion on how to talk to Brian and Justin. I told her that it was her life and she needed to make sure she wanted to do what she was thinking.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“Emmett knew too, right?” Michael glares at Ted.

 

 

“We talked about it, but not at first.” Ted tells him. Tick, Tick.

 

 

“I’m through talking about this now, I think Hunter and I will walk home.” Ben tells Michael.

 

 

“Be careful. Why not take the car, I can get Ted to drop me off?” Michael asks him, completely oblivious to Ben’s anger.

 

 

“I think I’ll go too. I wanted to get a few things before tomorrow.” I tell them wishing that I already found a new place.

 

 

I got up and walked out of the house. Ted and Blake were coming out behind me when Michael followed them out, shutting the door.

 

 

“I can’t believe you all kept this from me.” Michael tells us.

 

 

“What, that they were doing the baby thing, or that they came here?” Ted asks him.

 

 

“Both, we don’t hide things from each other. Emmett you didn’t tell Ma anything, that’s really kind of shitty of you.” He tells me.

 

 

“REALLY, not telling you or Deb what I was told not to tell was shitty?” I ask him, pissed.

 

 

“Emmett don’t.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“No. I think we should all discuss telling everyone why something happens, right Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“That’s what I was telling you.” Michael smiles like I did something right.

 

 

“Michael not now.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“Okay then Michael, why not tell everyone why Brian knocked your ass out. We could go and see what Deb thinks about it, or even Ben. You’re all for not keeping anything a secret, right?” I ask him.

 

 

“Who told you?” Michael looks warily at Ted.

 

 

“Does it matter who told? You should have been kissing Brian’s ass, asking for forgiveness for saying Justin should have been left to die when he was bashed…” I stopped when I heard someone gasp behind me.

 

 

“Fuck.” Ted muttered.

 

 

“Jen, no.” Blake blocks her path to Michael.

 

 

“How could you ever say that about someone you claim to be a friend to?” Jen asks angrily.

 

 

“It was when he left Brian for the other guy, I was mad, but I never meant it.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“How could Justin forgive you for that?” She asks Michael. 

 

 

“Forgive Michael for what?” Deb stands at the open door. 

 

 

“Michael, want to tell your mother what you said?” Jen glares at him.

 

 

“Jen it was years ago, and Brian asked that we not repeat it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“WHAT DID MICHAEL SAY?” Deb yells at us.

 

 

“Since you shared Justin’s news with me, I’ll do Michael the same favor. He told Brian that he should have left Justin there to die the night of the bashing.” Jen tells her. 

 

 

We watch as Jen walks back to her car, grabs a cake and comes straight to Michael. She turns the cake sideways and smashes it into Michael’s face. Michael took it and didn’t say a word, but then he most likely knows Deb isn’t going help him this time.

 

 

“I don’t care when it was, just that it came out of your mouth.” Jen tells him and walks to the car.

 

 

“I was going to stay pissed at you, but you have more problems than me right now. Teddy can I crash with you tonight?” I ask, wanting to get the fuck out of here.

 

 

Ted, Blake and I walk by Michael who Deb grabs by the ear and drags him into the house. Blake drives while Ted holds his phone to his forehead.

 

 

“What do you think Jen is going to do?” Ted asks us.

 

 

“Brian.” We both reply.

 

 

“At least he could keep her from telling Justin.” Ted tells us.

 

 

“Do you think it would matter to him anymore? I mean, it was a long time ago and they are friends now.” Blake tells him.

 

 

“If you found out someone you thought was a friend wished you dead, would you be okay with it?” Ted asks us both.

 

 

“I tend to forgive people too easily, but something like that would take a little time for me.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t know what I would feel about it. My life was a cesspool back then, so I might have felt they were right.” Blake tells us.

 

 

“Okay, think about it as if you were Justin and survived someone trying to kill you. You had to work hard just to hold a fucking pencil, much less be around huge crowds. Everyday was a fight to relearn, but fight you did. How would you feel if someone you thought was your friend belittled it because you walked away from a shitty relationship to find something different? Something that didn’t affect the moron who said and just said it because he was mad that you didn’t stay with the person he always wanted.” Ted tells us, staring out the windshield.

 

 

“Michael is going to have to beg Justin for forgiveness.” Blake tells us.

 

 

“I need to try to talk to Jen.” Ted tells us.

 

 

We drive to her house and she’s standing next to her car, talking to Tucker. Ted gets out and walks to her and we follow because he’s going to need us.

 

 

“I don’t want to forgive him.” She tells Tucker.

 

 

“Jen, people say all sorts of stupid shit when they're angry.” Tucker tells her.

 

 

“Why was Justin breaking up with Brian any of Michael’s business?” She asks him.

 

 

“Michael couldn’t see past the fact that Justin managed to have the one thing he couldn’t, Brian. Instead of staying with him when they weren’t seeing eye to eye, Justin left to find what he thought he wanted. Michael was angry and said it without really understanding how bad it sounded.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Ted, I would have kicked his ass.” Jen tells her.

 

 

“Does it count that Brian gave him a black eye?” Ted asks her.

 

 

“It helps, but you know I’m going to talk to Brian about it.” She tells us.

 

 

“Jen, he doesn’t want Justin to know.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Babe, you really want Justin to hear it, years later?” Tucker asks her.

 

 

“I just don’t understand how no one can keep a secret about Justin having a baby, but they can all hide the fact that Michael said something as vile as that.” She tells him.

 

 

“Jen, no one knew for a long time. By the time we knew, years had gone by. In fact it’s just that Deb and Michael have been acting like everyone should tell them things that it was brought up now, because at the time, no one knew why Brian did it but everyone condemned him for it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“In other words, you were all looking out for Michael.” She tells us.

 

 

“No, we were helping Brian protect Justin from hearing it.” I tell her.

 

 

“Look, if it will help, talk to Brian or even the girls about it, but don’t say it to Justin. None of us are sure how he would feel if he knew and we don’t want him hurt by it.” Ted tells her.

 

 

“Babe, listen to him. Justin left that behind him and this will only dredge it up for him.” Tucker tells her.

 

 

“Do you need us to stay and talk to you about it?” Blake offers.

 

 

“No, I promise to wait and call Brian after Ted does.” She tells us and goes in, waving goodbye to us.

 

 

“Do you now understand why it’s better not to open your mouth?” Ted asks me, dialing his phone.

 

 

“I didn’t expect Jen to show up, Deb told us she wasn’t coming.” I defend myself.

 

 

“Hey Brian, sorry but you need to know, Deb and Jen know about the garden party.” He tells Brian.

 

 

“Michael and Emmett started in on each other, and Emmett said it without realizing Jen was there.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“I’ll let him know. Yeah, she said she’d call you tomorrow. No, it might be better for you to stay where you are, because Hunter told everyone he saw you and Justin somewhere. Wait.” He tells Brian “Did Hunter say where he saw them?” Ted asks us and we shake our head no. “Not sure, I can find out if you want me to. Yeah, it really doesn’t matter. Call me if you need anything.” Ted tells him hanging up.

 

 

“I never realized you and Brian were that close.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“I just stopped looking at the outside and saw that he has a heart.” Ted tells us.

 

 

“It beats to Justin’s.” I tell him smiling.

 

 

“I get it, because mine does for Blake.” Ted tell Blake.

 

 

I smile, but part of me wishes I had someone I could say that about.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

I waited for Justin to go to sleep because I didn't want him to hear this call. I don't think anyone realizes it's not just that I don't want Justin to hear it, but also how is he going to feel that I let Michael have a pass on it? I go outside and light up while dialing. 

 

 

“Is there a reason you're calling me this late?” Lindsay asks me. 

 

 

“I need you to tell me Justin will be okay if he finds out what Michael said.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Please tell me he hasn't heard about it?” Lindsay asks me. 

 

 

“It's only a matter of time, then how's he going to feel that I let Michael get away with it?” I ask her. 

 

 

“He loves you enough to understand that you aren’t perfect. No matter what Michael did or said, Justin will see through it to know you didn't let it go, but protected him from it. We all owe you an apology for not asking why.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Jen and Deb found out.” I tell her.

 

 

“How did that happen? Never mind, it's the same way everything happens there. Brian, tell him before he finds out the wrong way.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I know, I just needed you to be my friend tonight.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I hope I did it without interfering, I'm working on that.” Lindsay tells me. 

 

 

“I also wanted to talk to you and Mel about our plans.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Has something changed?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Justin and I were thinking of staying in New York. I wanted to know if you and Mel would consider living here instead of Pittsburgh?” I ask her. 

 

 

“It would solve a lot of problems that we both see moving back. I'll see what Mel thinks and we will get back to you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It really helped you two to get away, didn’t it?” I ask her. 

 

 

“It changed how we deal with things, I couldn’t run to you anymore. I shouldn't have been doing it anyway if I wanted it to work with Mel. I found out that if we talked, the problems weren’t always what I thought, but us not telling each other things. I leaned on you when she was the person who I owed it to.” She tells me. 

 

 

“When did we leave Wonderland?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I wish I could say when Gus was born, but I think it was when Wonderland didn’t offer us the people who made our lives complete.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You'll always be my Wendy, but I couldn't help wanting Prince Charming more.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Peter, you couldn't compete with my Princess.” She tells me laughing.

 

 

“If you repeat that in front of her I want front row seats.” I tell her. 

 

 

“If I do I promise to make sure you’re there. About Justin, I think you're thinking too hard about it, he's level headed enough to understand you were hurting at the time. He'll most likely surprise us all on what he thinks of the whole thing.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You think Jen is going to understand?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Nope, but she's a mother. I couldn’t let something like that pass if it was said about Jenny or Gus. Michael is going to find out how it would have gone if everyone knew, because Jen doesn’t care about Michael.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I always wondered if I made the right decision to let it go.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Should have, would have, and could have, doesn’t change anything. Except at the time it was what you did, right or wrong.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Give Gus a kiss, tell Smelly Melly about New York. Thanks for listening.” I tell her hanging up.

 

 

I put out my cigarette and realize Justin needs to hear it from me. 

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

Ma was pacing in front of me. I didn’t know what to say to calm her down. It was years ago and she's acting as if I said it now. I don’t feel that way about Justin anymore. I figured out that Brian wasn’t going to return my feelings and stopped hating Justin for being the one Brian wanted. I found Ben who puts up with my crap and manages to see I'm worth something.

 

 

“Ma, it was a horrible thing to say, but Brian forgave me, why can’t you?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I doubt he forgave you, he probably just let it go. Could you forgive someone if they said it about Ben?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I don’t know, but he’d hurt Brian and I was mad.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mad is saying he didn’t deserve Brian’s love, not that he should be dead.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I wasn’t thinking about anything but Brian at the time.” I tell her. 

 

 

The door opens and Carl comes through looking at us. I watched as he took a breath and walked in.

 

 

“Do I want to know?” He asks us. 

 

 

“Michael said Justin should have died when he was bashed.” She tells him. 

 

 

“What the hell made you say that? Do you have any idea how close to the truth that was?” He asks me.

 

 

“I said it years ago, and Brian punched me out.” I defend myself.

 

 

“That's all he did, because it sounds like you got off easy in my book. Why is it coming up now?” Carl asks me. 

 

 

“Emmett was pissed because I thought it was wrong they didn’t tell us about the baby and that Brian and Justin were here yesterday.” I tell him. 

 

 

“So once again, everyone doing their own thing without informing you and Deb caused trouble.” He tells us. 

 

 

“Carl they didn’t even visit us.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Why would they? You would have badgered them about not including you in every decision they make. They were savings their ears.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Ted thinks they're upset I told Jen.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Jesus Deb, why?” He asks her and I figure I could leave before they remembered me.

 

 

“Sit down Michael, we need to figure out how to calm Jen down after she heard your bullshit.” Ma tells me.

 

 

“What did you do, take an ad out so everyone could hear your stupidity?” Carl asks me.  

 

 

“She overheard Emmett.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Which means once again, the whole gang is going to know. You realize that as a mother, she isn’t going to pat you on the head and forgive you, don't you?” Carl asks me. 

 

 

“He doesn’t deserve it after what he said.” Ma tells us. 

 

 

“Then Deb, you don't deserve to know anything Brian and Justin or Mel and Lindsay do for running around opening your mouth. What you did took something away from them; the right to tell Jen themselves. So while you're pissed at Michael for opening his mouth and saying something that obscene, remember you’re not innocent either.” He tells us.               

 

 

“It wasn’t that bad.” She tells him. 

 

 

“Michael why don't I explain to you how close you were to the truth that night. If Brian hadn’t called out Justin’s name, you'd have gotten what you seem to want by saying that. Brian was found holding Justin while he was bleeding out, repeating no over and over, and trying to stop the bleeding. The cop who was there said he wouldn’t leave Justin, so they let him go with him. Like I said, if all you got was a black eye, you were lucky, because I would have killed you for saying something like that about Deb.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Go home, tell Ben what you said, because you need to make it right with Justin.” Ma tells me hugging Carl.

 

 

I got up and realized I was about to tell Ben something he might not be able to forgive me for saying. Why couldn’t Emmett have not opened his mouth?

 

 

 JUSTIN 

 

 

You know when you feel like someone's staring at you, it's like there's this feather light touch and it makes you turn to see where it came from. I opened my eyes and smile at Brian.

 

 

“Why are you still awake?” I ask him sleepily.

 

 

“Thinking about the past.” He tells me laying down looking at the ceiling.

 

 

“What about it?” I ask him moving to lay on his chest.  

 

 

“Things that happened and how I let them go.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Life happens and you move on or you stay in limbo.” I tell him kissing his chin.

 

 

“What if it's brought up and could affect how you view me?” He asks me. 

 

 

“We're together and it's all I care about.” I tell him, trying to understand why he seems scared to tell me what's going on in his head.

 

 

“You remember when I hit Michael?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Yeah, but you guys made up right?” I ask him. 

 

 

Brian gets up and looks at the pictures I have of us throughout our relationship. He seems to really be struggling with this, and I always wondered why he hit Michael but didn’t feel I had the right to ask him.

 

 

“Michael was upset that you showed up with the fiddler at Mel and Lindsay’s party.” He tells me picking up a picture of us with Deb.

 

 

“Okay, but I knew he was pissed at me, so that’s not really a surprise.” I tell him.

 

 

“He said a lot of things but I ended up hitting him when he said the one thing I couldn’t listen to.” He tells me putting down the picture.

 

 

“What, that I should be struck from existence because I dared to walk away from you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Close, but it was that I should have left you to die that night.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are you serious, he actually thought that?” I ask him, not knowing how to feel about it.

 

 

“It’s why I hit him, but then I protected him from the fallout by not telling anyone.” He tells me, sitting down in a chair on the other side of the room.

 

 

“Why are you telling me this now?” I ask staying on the bed.

 

 

“Because Emmett and Michael decided to fight about how secrets shouldn’t be kept. Your mother was there to hear it.” He tells me looking at the floor.

 

 

“Fuck, don’t they know better than to let my mom hear shit like that?” I ask him, getting up and trying to figure out what to do about Mom.

 

 

“Justin, look at me.” He begs.

 

 

“Brian, do you have any idea how my mom is going to feel about this?” I ask, looking at him.

 

 

“Right now I need to know how you feel that I didn’t hate Michael for it.” He tells me.

 

 

“Is this what you're worried about?” I ask him, walking over and sitting on his lap.

 

 

“It’s the thing I’ve always worried about. I didn’t make Michael deal with the consequence of running his mouth. I pretended I didn’t care and went on being friends with a guy who could say that shit about you.” He tells me.

 

 

“It’s not what I wish anybody would say about me, but I had left you for someone else. You didn’t do anything but wish me well, and if you needed Michael then I can’t really be mad at you for it. It doesn’t make me happy that he got off that easy.” I tell him.

 

 

“He’s feeling it now most likely, because Deb knows too.” He tells me.

 

 

“I think he needs to feel how I feel about it.” I tell him.

 

 

“How do you?” He asks me.

 

 

“By saying it, it’s like what happened was a joke and could be used like a bat to my head again.” I tell him.

 

 

“I never wanted you to know.” He tells me.

 

 

“You can’t protect me from everything, just stand by me when I need you too.” He tells me.

 

 

“Lindsay and I talked tonight about it and she seemed to think you wouldn’t see what I did as betraying you.” He tells me.

 

 

“It wasn’t, it was your way of dealing with what I did to you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Are you going to be able to get past this with Michael? Because if we need to keep him out of our lives, I’ll do it for you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Where would be the fun in that?” I tell him, smiling.

 

 

“You're going to make him pay for it, aren’t you?” He asks me.

 

 

“No, but it will remind him that he doesn’t need to know everything. I think he needs that lesson for a while, because I have a baby and a life with you to think of.” I tell him.

 

 

“How about if we practice baby making.” He smiles at me.

 

 

“You think Mel will let you?” I tell him running to the bed.

 

 

“For that you don’t get to top.” He tells me leaping at me.

 

 

When Brian fell asleep I got up and walked to the kitchen and called the only one who would be level headed about this. 

 

 

“Hey, what’s with all the late night calls lately?” Ted tells me.

 

 

“Hey, what’s with letting my mother hear that shit.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, we didn’t know she was there. I tried to stop Emmett and Michael. Are you okay?” He asks  me.

 

 

“I don’t know, part of me wants to tell Michael what it took to be able to do things like eat with a fork or not be afraid of someone being behind me. The other part of me doesn’t want to dredge it all back up. How do I not hate him for saying it?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t know what to tell you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Brian was worried that I would be pissed at him for forgiving Michael and I’m not thrilled about it, but it’s not like he said it.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t think he ever forgave Michael for that or for the night you left him to stay with Michael. I think he just lets it go or he’d have to hate someone he once depended on.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“I wonder if it’s why he seems to want us to stay here?” I ask him.

 

 

“Justin if you two came back here, it would be the same shit just a different time. I think he realizes that he wants you both to have time to be you and not the people you were here.” He tells me.

 

 

“Can you do me a favor?” I ask him.

 

 

“Anything you need.” He tells me, which makes me smile.

 

 

“Tell Michael that right now I can’t do Rage or talk to him. That I need time to forgive him if I can.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’ll tell him and make sure he gives it to you.” He tells me.

 

 

“You know you turned out to be one hell of a friend, don’t you?” I tell him.

 

 

“So did you and Brian.” He tells me.

 

 

“Kiss Blake for me and thanks for always being there.” I tell him hanging up.

 

 

I sat and watch the sunrise out the window and decided that we couldn’t live somewhere near Michael again. I don’t see being able to forgive him completely, just do as Brian did and let it go. 

 

 

“Why aren’t you in bed?” He asks me.

 

 

“I wanted to see the sunrise because we are starting a new life soon.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 16 by starlight

BEN

 

 

I came home and thought about why I let it bother me that Michael can’t seem to let everyone do things without being involved in everything. I married him knowing this was the way he was, but I don’t want to have to keep telling him to leave things alone. He and Deb can’t seem to understand that people sometimes want to do things without having to make sure everyone knows about it. In a way it’s the group's dynamic, Deb, mom to all and smothering, Michael the bratty baby brother, Emmett the one who keeps them all from fighting, Ted the level headed one and Brian the problem solver. Justin’s role seems to be somewhere in the middle of all of them. I feel like my role has become keeping Michael and Deb from pissing them all off all the time. 

 

 

Michael comes in with the look I have learned means his mouth got his ass in trouble again. I really just want to go to bed and wake up to a better day.

 

 

“Why are you so late?” I ask him.

 

 

“Ma was pissed at me and the guys got me in trouble.” He tells me.

 

 

“How did they get you in trouble?” I ask because I seriously doubt they did.

 

 

“Emmett didn’t like when I told him he should have told us about Brian and Justin being here.” He tells me, mumbling and trying to go upstairs.

 

 

“Why would that piss off Deb when she seems to agree with you that no one should do things without you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Emmett brought up something from a long time ago and Jen showed up and didn’t like it and told Ma.” He tells me.

 

 

I walk over to him because he is looking everywhere but at me. I notice that he smells kind of sugary. 

 

 

“Is that frosting in your hair?” I ask when I pick a piece out.

 

 

“Shit, I thought I got it all out. Jen hit me with a cake.” He tells me running his hands through his hair.

 

 

“Justin’s mother hit you with a cake, for what?” I ask him, since Jen tends to be less likely to do that.

 

 

“She found out what I said that day of the party when Brian punched me.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael, nothing could excuse Brian hitting you.” I tell him.

 

 

“You're the only one who thinks that, everyone else acts like because I said Brian should have left Justin in the garage, that I actually hit Justin myself.” He tells me, like it didn’t just knock me on my ass to hear that.

 

 

I backed away from him and went to get a drink. He watches as I pour a large shot of Vodka and slam it down and pour another one.

 

 

“What are you doing?” He asks me.

 

 

“I’m trying to figure out where to start. Do I call Brian and tell him that he didn’t hit you hard enough? Do I call Justin and tell him sorry for allowing you near him? I don’t know what to think.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’ll tell Justin the truth, that I didn’t say it wanting him dead, I just let things come out that shouldn’t.” He tells me.

 

 

“Do you think that’s enough?” I ask him slamming another shot.

 

 

“He forgave Brian for all sorts of shit, and he knows that I care about him too.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“Brian never wanted anything bad to happen to Justin, so he was forgiving Brian for not showing him that he loved him. Michael, what you said is different than anything Brian ever did.” I tell him.

 

 

“Carl lit into both Ma and I for thinking that our friends should tell us things.” He tells me, trying to change the subject.

 

 

“Michael, do you even have a clue that what you said would hurt Justin?” I ask him.

 

 

“I said a lot of things about him and to him then, he and I seem to have gotten past it.” He tells me.

 

 

“Name one thing you think is worse than saying something like that?” I tell him.

 

 

“I told him to get out of all of our lives.” He tells me.

 

 

“Why did you feel you needed to say anything about it?” I ask him.

 

 

“Brian might have acted like he didn’t care, but he did. I knew that Brian loved Justin and I didn’t want him to have to see Justin everyday. I was trying to watch out for Brian.” I tell him.

 

 

“While that may have been your intention, you had no place in their relationship. Michael, I honestly don’t understand how the man I married could say things like that.” I tell him.

 

 

“I want them to be happy like we are.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are we happy? Because I’m not sure we have been since Brian left for Justin.” I tell him.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” He asks me.

 

 

“I want a relationship where I don’t have to constantly stop you from telling everyone your opinion on how their lives aren’t perfect because they didn’t do what you did. I want you to admit to yourself that you could be losing a friend when Justin finds out what you said about him.” I tell him.

 

 

“I should go to New York and tell him that we can’t ruin a friendship over something that happened years ago.” He tells me.

 

 

“So your solution is to tell Justin how to feel and everything will be okay again? How about you stay here and let Justin come to you when he’s ready to talk to you. If you leave to go there and force Justin to listen, you don’t solve anything.” I tell him.

 

 

“I could get Ted and Emmett to come and help me.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael you need to stay here and help me find a way to want to look at you again.” I tell him walking past him up the stairs.

 

 

“You're letting this affect us?” He asks me.

 

 

“No, but you are. Michael, we need to solve our own problems first.” I tell him.

 

 

“What problems? We’ve been fine.” He tells me.

 

 

“For the most part yes, but your constant bitching about Mel, Lindsay, Brian, and Justin isn’t helping us right now.” I tell him.

 

 

“They think moving will solve their problems, it doesn’t.” He tells me.

 

 

“I didn’t think Mel and Lindsay moving would solve anything either, but for them it did. Brian and Justin don’t have any problems to solve. So I would say Brian moved to be with Justin and that was the only reason.” I tell him.

 

 

“They were doing fine not being together all the time. It’s when they’re always together that the problems start.” He tell me.

 

 

“I would say it’s when you get involved that their problems start. Alone they seem to do what works for them.” I tell him.

 

 

“I help them, can’t you see that?” He asks me.

 

 

“No. What I do see is that you need to figure out a way to help me see you as a good person again.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben, it wasn’t about you.” He tells me.

 

 

“I know, but it worries me that something like that could go through your head.” I tell him.

 

 

I get in bed and turn away from him. I don’t know if he grasps that our marriage is on rocky ground and he needs to pay attention, because I can’t be the only one doing all the work here.

 

 

MEL

 

 

Lindsay came back to bed, putting the phone back. She seems to be worried about something and I prayed it wasn’t going to be her wanting to tell Brian and Justin how to be together. She’d been doing well with letting them have a life and I want her to be able to concentrate on us. 

 

 

“That was Brian, he actually called me to talk.” She tells me.

 

 

“What’s so important this late?” I ask her.

 

 

“Jen and Deb found out about what Michael said. Brian’s worried how Justin is going to take it, because we know nothing is a secret with this group.” She tells me.

 

 

“Is he worried about Michael?” I ask her.

 

 

“No, he was worried how Justin would view him for not walking away from Michael’s friendship.” She tells me.

 

 

“That was something I never thought about, in a way it would seem like he agreed with Michael. Which I know he didn’t.” I tell her.

 

 

“I think Brian needs to realize Justin’s not Michael and won’t blow it out of proportion. I could be wrong but I think they’ll work through it like they always have.” She tells me.

 

 

“I like that you said that.” I tell her.

 

 

“I like that he called me because he just needed someone to listen. It’s a change in the way I was always trying to tell him what he should do. You were right that I should let him come to me, not try to force him to talk to me. How did I marry such a wonderful woman?” She ask me.

 

 

“I don’t know, because I think I did the same thing.” I tell her.

 

 

“I was also thinking you were right, that it might be better to not tell everyone we are visiting Jen.” She tells me.

 

 

“What made me right? Although I love being right.” I tell her kissing her.

 

 

“I think they would just try to drag us in the middle to get Justin to talk to Michael.” She tell me.

 

 

“You mean Deb will, because she might be mad at him but she’s going to expect everyone to get Justin and Michael to be friends again.” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael needs to see that he won’t always have everyone forgiving him for being a jackass.” She tells me without blushing.

 

 

“Well that’s his problem, mine is that you're wearing too many clothes.” I tell her pulling off her shirt.

 

 

BLAKE

 

I opened my door to get to work and there’s Michael, looking as if he hadn’t slept much. I swear this is the only drawback to my relationship with Ted. Why do they all feel Michael needs kid gloves instead of a slap on the head? Well that doesn’t really work either. 

 

 

“Michael, I’m on my way to work and Ted and Emmett have already left, so…” I tell him hoping he gets that no one is here for him to talk to.

 

 

“I can give you a ride if you need one.” He tells me.

 

 

“I have a car so it’s fine.” I tell him, trying to figure out why he didn’t leave the minute he found out his friends weren’t here.

 

 

“I… fuck… I need to talk to someone who doesn’t really have a reason to care about what I said.” He tell me.

 

 

“I like Justin and I do care, I just don’t think bringing it up was the right thing to do.” I tell him.

 

 

“See, I think that Emmett should have kept his mouth shut.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael you understand that it’s about the way you seem to think everyone owes you to tell you things.” I tell him, because he seems to go off on tangents that have nothing to do with what was said.

 

 

“It’s not they owe me, it’s just that in the past we relied on each other and they all seem to forget I need them too.” He tell me.

 

 

“Why, you have Ben and Hunter.” I tell him.

 

 

“Who could die, and I need to know that my friends will still be there if it happens.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael you need to see someone, because that’s irrational fear.” I tell him.

 

 

“It’s there every day when I have to watch them take pills.” He tells me.

 

 

“It doesn’t mean you strangle hold people.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just want to know they will still be there when I need them. They all want to move and who’s going to be here if anything happens?” He asks me.

 

 

“Michael who’s going to be there if you drive everyone away by clinging too tightly?” I ask him.

 

 

“Ben is acting like he doesn’t want to stay married.” He tells me.

 

 

“Ben wants you to stop chasing everyone. Learn to put all the effort you put into emailing your tips on our lives into Ben and you won't  lose him now. I hate to do this but I have people with real problems that need me, so go home and tell Ben why you are scared.” I tell him.

 

 

“I think I’ll go to the diner.” He tells me which means Michael hasn’t gotten the clue yet. Not my problem.


Chapter 17 by starlight

MICHAEL 

 

 

I tried calling Brian, because my life is a mess and I need help to get everyone to stop being pissed at me. It's like they all think I held the bat. Hunter was working at the diner today, so I figured it kept Ma off my ass. Ted came in and sat in front of me, but then held up his hand before I could speak.

 

 

“I came to tell you that Justin needs time and won't be doing Rage or answering if you call. He needs you to let him decide if he can forgive you. Michael do yourself a favor and give it to him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We can’t just put the comic on hold, it's our business. He has to realize that I don't feel that way and it just came out because I was upset by what he did.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Right now he's not in the mood to indulge you. I don't think you running around trying to use the comic as a reason he has to see you would do anything but cause more problems.” He tells me. 

 

 

“All this is because you told Emmett.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Blame me if it makes you feel better, but leave Justin alone for now.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Why's Blondie in a snit?” Hunter asks looking at us.

 

 

“That's up to him to tell you. I need to get back to work.” Ted tells us and walks out.

 

 

“So what's everyone so pissed about?” Hunter asks sitting down.

 

 

“I said something years ago and they all act like I said it now.” I tell him.

 

 

“What?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I said Justin should have been left in the garage the night he was bashed, but I was angry and it just came out.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What did Justin do to you?” He asks me. 

 

 

“It was when he left Brian for someone else.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What did that have to do with you? Brian being angry I get, but how did that translate into you being angry, unless he was cheating with say, Ben?” He asks me. 

 

 

“He was cheating on my best friend.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I got that part, but you seem to be missing the part I said about it not being about you. I can understand being hurt for your friend, but not you saying something about another friend that was really nasty. Is that why Ben is less zen?” He asks me. 

 

 

“He seems to think I spend too much time taking care of my friends and not enough on him.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You do.” He tells me shrugging.

 

 

“I don’t, it's just they can't take care of their relationships without help.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You can’t keep your relationship afloat if you spend all your time on theirs. It’s really that simple Dad.” He tells me getting up to clear tables.

 

 

I get up and head to my shop, feeling like no one understands why I was angry. 

 

 

MEL 

 

 

I can't believe after telling everyone to mind their own business, I'm about to interfere. I call Brian because I want to help if they need us too.

 

 

“Hey, Brian’s talking to a guy about a building, so I can get him to call back when he's done.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“I just wanted to make sure you're alright.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm dealing with it. I'm just not sure how my friendship with Michael will end up. I still have to talk to my mom and pray she's not on the warpath.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay told me you and Brian are talking about staying in New York.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I think he doesn't want us to all be back in Pittsburgh, because no matter how high a fence you build, they'll find a way over it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I are leaning towards New York. It offers more opportunities for us than Pittsburgh. Lindsay could find work in a gallery and there's always room for another lawyer.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I think Brian wants my mom to help look for a house here. We agreed to sell the one in Pittsburgh if you guys come here. If not, you could live in that house.” He tells me. 

 

 

“When are you going to look for a house there?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Ted is coming next week, so I figured why not see If my mom could come and look while Ted and Brian work. I'm between commitments right now anyway.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It might be a good time for us to visit with Jen, instead of Pittsburgh, if you don’t mind. I could get us rooms by your place.” I tell him. 

 

 

“That’s fine. You and Lindsay could look with me. Brian told me it's my house so I get to decide, but then hands me the specs on a house in Scarborough, it's huge. It’s crazy how much he's willing to spend on it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Justin, the house in Pittsburgh wasn't pocket change.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It’s just overwhelming when I realize I left behind the life he wanted for us and he's still willing to give me everything.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He loves you, to him nothing else matters.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why not come and see what he thinks is a house? It's big enough that we could get lost in it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll call Jen and see if she wants to meet there, instead of Pittsburgh.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Can you let her talk to you if she needs it? I'm sure Brian is getting a call, but he seems guilty enough without Mom adding to it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“We all feel guilty for treating Brian like crap over it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You know him, sorry is bullshit. He doesn’t want everyone apologizing.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Lindsay and I were worried that if we let Deb know we were coming, she'd want everyone to get you to talk to Michael. We were going to do what you and Brian did, and not tell anyone we were there.” I tell him. 

 

 

“They've been calling all morning, Brian won't answer. I just turned my phone off, because I need time and Michael won't give it to me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do you want to wait on the baby?” I ask him. 

 

 

“No. I don’t want us to change plans over this, Like I told Brian, we're starting a new life, it's time to start.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll call Jen and if she's agreeable, we'll come there.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Let us know. I can make plans for Jenny and Gus.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

I find Jen’s number and call her.

 

 

“Jen it's Mel. How are you?” I ask her. 

 

 

“A bit angry right now.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Understandable. Justin’s having a hard time with it too.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I don’t understand, so how could he? Michael is supposed to be his friend.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Michael never thinks, just reacts. It doesn't excuse him, it's just how he is.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How could anyone let him get away with it?” She asks me. 

 

 

“At first no one knew what he said, just that Brian punched him. We found out different ways, and for me, I felt like shit for thinking Brian was an asshole to hurt Michael. I think the others just didn’t want Justin to hear it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It always comes out. It's just a matter of time.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Are you upset with all of us?” I ask her.

 

 

“No. Because you didn't say it. Am I making too much of this?” She asks me. 

 

 

“He's your son, I don't think there's any way for you to not feel the way you do. Just be ready for Deb to try to make Michael and Justin bury the hatchet. She might be mad at him but she's going to want us to smooth it over.” I tell her.

 

 

“She's going to waiting a long time for me to help.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I called to see if instead of us coming there, you would come to New York. Justin and Brian no longer want to move back to Pittsburgh and asked us to consider moving there next year. Less people involved in all our lives sounds wonderful to all of us.” I tell her. 

 

 

“A change of scenery sounds wonderful right now. I'll call and let Brian know I'll be there.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Jen if you need to talk, Lindsay and I are always available.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I just need to hold my son.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I completely understand. So we'll see you next week, but call if you need us.” I tell her. 

 

 

It's strange, but I get how she's feeling. When the bomb went off all I wanted was my family where I could hold them. Deb better let Jen deal with this on her own, because pushing Jen to forgive Michael might end their friendship.

 

 

DEB

 

 

Carl told me to give them all time before I barge in to save Michael from his own stupidity. I just hate the boys not talking to each other. I waited for him to leave and call Brian again. 

 

 

“Deb.” Brian answers.

 

 

“Brian we need to talk about how to solve this thing with Michael.” I tell him. “Brian you there?” I ask him. 

 

 

I pull the phone from my ear and realize he hung up on me. I call back because he's needs to help me. 

 

 

“Don’t you dare hang up on me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Then don't expect me to help Michael talk to Justin. I can’t choose Michael in this, because I did and I’m lucky that Justin doesn’t see it as me agreeing with Michael. Justin has to come first.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’m not saying that you should choose sides, just that Michael needs help.” I tell him.   

 

 

“Then you and Ben need to help him. The same way Jen and I will help Justin if he needs us to. You gave me a speech that we all needed to grow up, and it’s time you listen to yourself, because he needs to figure his own way to solve this. Calling Justin is not the answer for either of you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Brian, when you and Justin move back here don’t you want everyone to have resolved this? Because without your help Michael will never manage to.” I tell him.

 

 

“That sounds like a problem for Michael. Justin asked for time and I want you and Michael to give it to him. If you call you better be just wanting to chat, not trying to get Justin to forgive Michael right now.” He tells me.

 

 

“He’s your best friend.” I tell him.

 

 

“No, he’s my childhood best friend, Justin now occupies that spot. I really shouldn’t have to say this but you need to realize Ben is who you should be talking to, not me. Later.” He hangs up again.

 

 

I stood there and couldn’t believe he wasn’t willing to help Michael. He always took care of Michael when Michael needed him. How could he not see that he’s the one who could solve this for both Justin and Michael. 

 

 

“Hey Deb.” Emmett greets me coming in.

 

 

“Hey, I can’t believe Brian isn’t going to help Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

“With Ben? It’s not really Brian’s place to get involved in Michael and Ben’s relationship.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“I meant with Justin and Brian. What’s going on with Michael and Ben?” I ask him.

 

 

“If you don’t know than maybe you need to talk to Ben and Michael. I learned my lesson about opening my big mouth.” He tells me.

 

 

“Emmett, if it involves Michael I need to know.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m not going to tell you something that they should tell you. After seeing the hurt in Jen’s face last night, I realized that I wasn’t any better than you and Michael, having to know everything. From now on you need to go to the source, because I won’t ever do what I did last night again.” He tells me running up to his room.

 

 

What the hell could be wrong between Michael and Ben?

 


Chapter 18 by starlight

DEB

 

 

I waited for morning to go see Michael. I wanted to catch him and Ben at home. I got there in time to see Ben walking out the door. He gave me a kiss on the cheek trying to get by, but I pulled him back in the house. 

 

 

“I need to know what's going on with you two.” I tell him. 

 

 

“No, you really don't. Michael and I need to handle our own problems.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm Michael’s mother and anything involving him is my business.” I tell him, shaking my finger in his face.

 

 

“Okay, YOUR SON can’t seem to see that the amount of time he spends trying to run his friends lives could be spent taking care of our lives. I'm also having a hard time with the fact that YOUR SON could let the things that come out of his mouth, come out without thought. Hey, I can add that YOUR SON doesn't see anything wrong with calling Justin repeatedly when he asked for time. So Deb, are you now happy that you know?” He asks me sarcastically.

 

 

“Ben, Michael knows he shouldn't have said what he did.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He isn't calling Justin to apologize.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Then why is he calling Justin?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Because he thinks Justin should be willing to do the fucking comic. Think really hard about that and maybe you'll get why we are having problems. I need to go to work, to get away before I no longer see a reason to come home.” He tells me opening the door slamming it on the way out.

 

 

“MICHAEL CHARLES NOVOTNY GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE.” I yell.

 

 

“What?” He asks from the top of the stairs. 

 

 

“What the fuck did you do to Ben?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Nothing. He's been pissed since the other night. I keep telling him that he's letting things that have nothing to do with us bother him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“You have enough problems without upsetting Ben. Why are you calling Justin to do anything but apologize?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It's business and he needs to see that. I use the money from sales to help pay Ben and my bills. The shop makes enough to cover some things but not all. He needs to think about it from that perspective.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Right now you need to deal with your husband. It's not going to solve itself.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He's not listening to me right now. I'm giving him a chance to calm down first.” He tells me. 

 

 

“There's a concept. Don’t you think maybe, just maybe, you should apply it to Justin.” Hunter tells him walking past him down the stairs. 

 

 

“Don’t be a smart ass.” Michael tells him. 

 

 

“Ben wants you to talk to him, and Justin doesn’t, doesn't take a smart ass to see your doing it backwards.” Hunter tells him. 

 

 

“Talk to Ben, I'm going to see if Jen has calmed down.” I tell him, heading out the door.

 

 

BRIAN 

 

 

I decided to bite the bullet and call Jen. I'm surprised that I haven't heard from her.

 

 

“Brian I was about to call you, the girls and I are going to come there next week.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Justin mentioned it. It will save us a trip to see Gus.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I wanted to see Justin anyway.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He's trying to convince me that the house I want us to look at is bigger than necessary.” I tell her. 

 

 

“One day my son will figure out that you don't do small.” She tells me. 

“I want us to be happy with where we live. All your son tends to see is the price tag.” I tell her. 

 

 

“He used to not care, but it comes from taking care of his things young.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I want a house where if Mel and Lindsay move here, we aren’t tripping on each other. I sent you a copy of the specs, because it has everything the other house had.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You don’t see moving back here again, do you?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Kinnetik isn’t going to stay based in Pittsburgh if New York becomes what I hope, and after talking with Ted and Cynthia I can see branching further to other cities. Cynthia is willing to wait on future moves. I want Justin to have the time to decide where he wants his career to go.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mel seems to like the idea of having distance from everyone here.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He's trying to figure out how he feels.” I tell her not avoiding why we are really talking.

 

 

“I'm in the same boat. I'm angry but at the same time confused about it all. It was years ago and you and I were the only ones who knew how bad it was for him. I just don’t know how to look at Michael and not want to smash more than a cake in his face.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Deb’s already expecting help from me. I just can't help her this time. I never wanted Justin to hear it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I could have lived never hearing it, but it's there in the open. Hopefully Michael can learn not to open his mouth before words come out that he can't explain away.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Whether he figures it out or not, I'm not putting Justin and me in the middle of it. By staying here, it keeps us from being told to help solve someone else's issues.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You alway do what's best for Justin. Thank you for proving me wrong when I thought you were the worst thing in his life.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He changed me too.” I tell her, hanging up. 

 

 

“Was that Mom?” Justin asks me. 

 

 

“Did paint explode near you?” I ask him. 

 

 

Justin was covered in a rainbow of colors. It was in his hair and across his cheek and nose. 

 

 

“I've never been able to paint neatly.” He tells me scrunching his orange and green nose.

 

 

“You've never learned the art of neatness, trust me I know.” I tell him. 

 

 

“My theory is painters become famous because everyone thinks they're crazy, when it's really just messy to use paints. Think about it, Einstein looked nutty as a loon, but he didn't have time to worry about his appearance, so people see the wild hair and disarray in clothing and think mad scientist. When he was just too busy to brush his hair.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I can excuse mad genius, but it better not make it into my closet.” I tell him. 

 

 

“About that, I think we need to look at closet space, because you're kicking me out of mine.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Which is why a bigger house would save us from potential harm to my favorites.” I tell him getting a rag to clean him up.   

 

 

“Which is everything you own.” He tells me pecking me on the lips.

 

 

“Speaking of clothing.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Nope, you aren’t ever going to make me shop with you.” He tells me.

 

 

“As my loving partner you should want to look as good as you can for me.” I smirk.

 

 

“Like naked wouldn't get us in trouble when we went out.” He tells me. 

 

 

“See, I have two theories on that, one is it beats the cargos, and two, I'd have every gay man envying me. So no losing if you choose ‘au natural’.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I already have them envying me, since they’ve all seen you.” He tells me. 

 

 

I got the last of the paint off his face and lean in to kiss him.

 

 

“I love you.” I tell him kissing him.

 

 

“Even when I'm dwelling on how to be okay with your best friend?” He whispers. 

 

 

“How you feel about me is all I care about.” I tell him. 

 

 

“That's easy, I've loved you since the night we met. It never changed, no matter where I was or who I was with.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I always knew that, it's why I waited for you.” I tell him. 

 

 

JEN

 

 

After talking to Brian, I decided that I wasn’t going to worry about Michael. It's not like I hang out with Deb everyday. I just forgot that Deb would want me to help, until I opened my door to Deb looking upset.

 

 

“I swear that kid of mine can’t help himself at all.” She tells me walking in.

 

 

“Probably because everyone does it for him.” I comment.

 

 

“Can you believe Brian thinks he doesn't need to help?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Yes, I can.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Brian isn’t as selfish as you believe, he's always been there to help Michael.” She tells me, misunderstanding.

 

 

“I meant that I get why he's not willing to help.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Jen, trust me, I'm not happy with Michael, but he's got more than what he said about Justin going on. He and Ben are having problems too.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Did you come to see me for something?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I think between you and I we can get the boys to at least talk to each other. They aren't going to solve anything until they do.” She tells me.    

 

 

“Brian and Justin are doing fine.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Michael’s life is a mess, and usually Brian helps Michael.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Michael needs to learn how to help himself, because with Brian planning to stay in New York permanently, he won't be around to help Michael.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Jen, they're planning on coming back next year. I want my family to get along, but unless Michael can get his life in order, we'll all be dealing with it then.” She tells me. 

 

 

“They aren't coming back.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Well that’s just great. It's just like Brian to make the girls move here and then move away. Doesn't Brian realize Justin’s is going to want to see his kid.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Brian will make sure Justin gets to be the parent he wants to be.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How, when the girls will be here and they are in New York?” She asks me.

 

 

“They have always made it work for them, so I’m trusting them to make it work in the future.” I tell her.

 

 

“Jen, I know what Michael said was wrong, but I need you to tell Brian to help him.” She brings us back to why she’s here, no surprise there.

 

 

“I don’t tell Brian or Justin anything, because I treat them like adults who can make their own decisions. If you expect Michael to learn how to solve anything you have to let him do it. I resent the fact that you think I should help Michael do anything right now.” I tell her.

 

 

“I know the timing is bad but Ben is acting like he wants to leave Michael too.” She tells me.

 

 

“For what happened with Justin?” I ask her.

 

 

“No, he said it was because Michael runs his mouth without thinking and that he’s too busy trying to run everyone else’s life.” She tells me.

 

 

“Ben seems to have a good idea what his husband’s problems are, do you?” I ask her.

 

 

“What do you mean?” She ask me.

 

 

“Why are you running to everyone with something that should be between them? If Michael and Ben are going to stay together then it’s going to require Michael to do some of the heavy lifting in the relationship. Even I see Ben having to practically carry Michael on his back to keep that marriage going.” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael loves Ben.” She tell me.

 

 

“Love is great, but unless there’s equal commitment there’s no marriage. I found that out with Craig. It’s why I divorced him, because he wasn’t willing to commit to me the way I was committing to him.” I tell her.

 

 

“He was a homophobic asshole, that’s why you left him.” She tells me.

 

 

“I left because we promised to love our children and he couldn’t, for something that Justin couldn’t change about himself. I left because he didn’t listen if he didn’t like what he heard. If Michael isn’t doing anything to work out his and Ben’s problems, than his future might not include Ben. I’m telling you this because you seem to think that if Brian would show up, then your son once again has everyone doing what he needs to do for himself. I would suggest you go home and take care of your relationship before Carl starts wondering why he’s eating alone when he has you.” I tell her.

 

 

I open my door and wait for her to go, because I’m not going to help her with her son. 

 

 

“We’ve always worked together to help our kids.” She tells me.

 

 

“They were still growing up, it’s time to realize they need to help themselves.” I tell her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 19 by starlight

EMMETT 

 

 

I’ve been feeling like an asshole all week because my big mouth caused Justin to find out something that hurt him. Ted told me not to use it if Michael acted like Michael, but instead of listening I used it. I've been avoiding calling Justin because I'm worried he's going to hate me for bringing it up. I should be hung from the disco ball at Babylon for this. I swear on Barbra that this Queen will gossip no more. I got off the plane deciding I would get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness. 

 

 

“Emmett what are you doing?” Justin asks me. 

 

 

“He thinks he owes you for opening his mouth.” Ted says dryly. 

 

 

“Get up you crazy man.” Justin tells me, holding out his hand.

 

 

“I'm sorry for everything.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm fine. Everyone needs to stop acting like I'm breakable.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's been really chilly in Pittsburgh lately.” Blake tells him. 

 

 

“So I guessed from the many messages Michael left.” He tells us. 

 

 

“He's never going to understand what giving someone time means.” Ted tells him. 

 

 

“I never expected him to. It's just easier when he knows I won't answer him.” Justin tells us.

 

 

“So what's on the agenda?” I ask Justin. 

 

 

“Brian’s on a call and said for Ted to get his ass to the car. We get to inspect my house.” I tell them. 

 

 

“I thought you were going to wait for your mother to look with you?” Ted asks Justin. 

 

 

“When Brian has specs, do you think it was really a decision?” Justin asks him.

 

 

“He should have let you help make the decision. Shit don't listen to me.” I didn’t even make it out of the airport before I opened my mouth.

 

 

“To put your mind at ease, I love the house.” Justin tells me. 

 

 

“How long before moving day?” Blake asks him. 

 

 

“A month, there's still paperwork, which Ted is here to handle.” Justin smiles at Ted.

 

 

“It's his lot in life to buy the houses Brian decides are for you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's just horrible to get two mansions in three years, I just don’t know what to do.” Justin tells me, laughing. 

 

 

“I’d better get to his majesty before I get a pink slip.” Ted tells us walking out of the airport. 

 

 

“How do we end up carrying all the bags?” Blake asks us. 

 

 

TED

 

 

I spotted Brian next to an SUV smoking and speaking rapidly to the person on the phone.

 

 

“If you want the same Ads that get you the same revenue, than go with your old firm. I deliver the increases I promise…  Leo Brown would be selling his shoes at Wal-Mart if he hadn’t listened to me. Great, call and if we have the time to meet then I'll be glad to give you my time.” He hangs up and hands me a pile of paperwork. 

 

 

“Trying to win a new account?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I've won it, they just want us to work for it. I just let them know that they are going to work to get us.” He tells me. 

 

 

“So you bought the house?” I ask him. 

 

 

“My offer was accepted, now you get to do the rest.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll get Jen to help with it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I found an office and a house, so my work is done.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I guess New York is turning into a reality.” I tell him, not that I doubted him, because he's Brian Kinney.

 

 

“I like how little there is to deal with here.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Ben moved out.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Michael will either get off his ass and fight or he won't. Justin didn’t wait around for me to come to him when he made his mistake, he came after me. Michael could learn something from that. I won't hold his hand and make it better for him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“No one is asking you to, just keeping you informed for when the next round of calls starts.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll answer eventually, but I'm taking a page out of the girls book this time. I don't want other people's problems causing Justin and me problems. “ He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm only mentioning this for information purposes. Ben is hoping Michael sees it's time to put their relationship first.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ben was always smart, but he's dealing with Michael, who can't see anyone's side but his.” I tell him. 

 

 

HUNTER 

 

 

This is getting ridiculous, and it's time for me to talk to the cause. First I need advice from Blondie. I snuck out of Pittsburgh because Michael would have tried to come with me. Which would have just fucked things up more at this point. I called and told Justin I needed to talk to him alone. He about blistered my ears for driving to New York without at least telling Carl. I want my Dads to make up and if facing Justin does that, then face him I will.

 

 

Justin told me to meet him at the cafe near his place. I got there and groaned when Brian was waiting with Justin. 

 

 

“Is there a reason for your escape from Pittsburgh?” Brian asks me. 

 

 

“I came because I need to help Michael and Ben.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Usually being in the same geographic location as the problem helps.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Not this time. Ben is talking about renting an apartment.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What was you coming here to talk to me supposed to do?” Justin asks me.

 

 

“I don’t know, I just know that everyone says you managed to get Brian back when you cheated, so maybe you would have an idea.” I tell him noticing Brian glare when I said cheated.

 

 

“I didn’t let my stupidity get in the way. I knew that if I wanted Brian back I had to make the first move and all the moves until we were back together. Michael didn’t cheat, just stopped paying attention from what we were told, so if he gets off his ass, Ben will come home.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“It’s like he’s waiting for all the answers to fall from the sky.” I tell them.

 

 

“Hunter, Michael has to show Ben why they were together in the first place. You can’t do that for them.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“It’s not like I get it. Ben is stuck playing dad to Michael and me. What Michael’s role in the relationship is, is still a blank space waiting for the answer.” I tell them.

 

 

“Michael needs to answer that, not you. I got you a room with Emmett for tonight and Ben is on his way here to talk to you.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Fuck why did you tell Ben I was here?” I ask him, pissed.

 

 

“He’s your father and he’s worried that you're taking this as them not loving you. He still loves Michael but needs space to figure out how to work this out.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Which I can’t get. Justin asks for space and it’s like Michael’s homing beacon to keep hitting redial. Ben wants Michael to talk and Michael gives him space.” I rant.

 

 

“Michael avoids his real problems.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“What?” I ask him.

 

 

“He’s scared about being alone.” He tells me.

 

 

“He thinks that he’ll end up alone because you and Ben have HIV. He hasn’t figured out that there are no guarantees. He could die first but he thinks you guys will.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“He has family, so he’s not alone.” I tell him, because I know there is the possibility that I could die first or second.

 

 

“Michael can’t see anything but what he wants to see.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Justin, are you ever going to talk to Michael again?” I ask him.

 

 

“I will when I feel that I can do it without lashing out. I just don’t know when that will be, and it’s really not your business.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“Let’s go and wait for Ben.” Brian tells me.

 

 

BEN

 

 

I swear I want to kill Hunter for doing this, but he wants everything back the way it was. I want Michael to meet me halfway and I’m not coming home until it happens. I know it’s crazy to still want Michael when he can’t see past his wants to see that our relationship is suffering. I look back at all the things Michael did to win me back and know it’s worth trying to get us where we need to be. 

 

 

Brian called when he found out Hunter drove to New York and told me he wasn’t running a home for runaways. I learned that was Brian speak for being worried about Hunter. Then he dropped the bomb on me about why he thinks Michael was having issues with he and Justin not being in Pittsburgh. I don’t know what to do for Michael because I can’t lie and say that he won’t be left behind someday. I really thought we worked past this issue, but it’s likely he just let it fester in his head and used his friends lives to ignore it.

 

 

Getting to the hotel, I see Brian smoking out front.

 

 

“You know that’s going to kill you.” I tell him, getting out of the cab.

 

 

“My personal PSA lets me know, then takes a drag.” He tells me.

 

 

“Hunter in there?” I ask him.

 

 

“Yep, but you and I are going to talk out here.” He tells me.

 

 

“I need to talk to Hunter.” I tell him.

 

 

“Unless you're planning on moving home and playing happy stepford fag for him, it’s not going to do anything but have him at my door, again.” He tells me.

 

 

“I can’t do that until Michael stops acting like we don’t have problems.” I tell him.

 

 

“You realize you married a Novotny. If it’s a problem, you change your name and lie to your kid. I doubt Michael is going to be any better than Deb at facing things.” He tells me.

 

 

“I thought you were going to make Michael deal with his own problems?” I ask him.

 

 

“When they show up at my door and try to get Justin’s advice, it becomes my problem.” He tells me.

 

 

“What did he think Justin would be able to tell him?” I ask him.

 

 

“Justin got me back, so Hunter must think Justin’s a miracle worker. I doubt Michael showing up and fucking you in your office is going to change your mind.” He tells me.

 

 

“It would at least show some sign he’s paying attention to me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben, you married Michael, not Justin, who fights for what he wants. Michael tends to wait for life to happen, and gets swept along with it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I can’t be the one keeping us together.” I tell him.

 

 

“You aren’t talking to him but at him. Ben, if you want to make it work then tell him the things you don’t want to say. It’s the same thing that all of us broke up over. I learned that saying ‘I love you’ didn’t mean Justin was going to use it against me. I say it as much as I can now because he needs to hear it, even though he’s always known. He was doing all the work and I was expecting him to hear what I never said. He went behind my back and started a relationship because he wasn’t listening when I told him it was his choice. I wasn’t telling him to walk out, just to choose me. All the problems were from not telling each other things. Justin’s not perfect, and trust me it took a while for me to get over him doing what he did, but if I wanted him I had to bend too.” He tells me.

 

 

“You acted like it was fine that he left you.” I tell him.

 

 

“It wasn’t, but did I hate him for it? No. I just didn’t like him for it either. If he’d stayed I’d have made his life hell until I got over it, but I wouldn’t have walked away until I knew there was no way for us to work.” He tells me.

 

 

“He’s afraid of me dying and being alone, how do I solve that?” I tell him.

 

 

“Not that I believe in counseling, but you lezzys do, so try it.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’ll think about it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Thinking just gives you a headache, figure it out so Hunter isn’t the one trying to do it for you.” He tells me walking in the hotel.

 

 

I go to the room and find Hunter on a bed watching TV with food wrappers around him. Emmett gets up and heads to the connecting door.

 

 

“Hey Dad, cop a squat.” Hunter tells me.

 

 

“Hunter, why the hell did you come here?” I ask him.

 

 

“I wanted to see what Blondie did to get Brian back and I have a feeling he fucked his way back. At least that’s what Emmett thinks.” He tells me.

 

 

“The only thing I can tell you is that one day they were apart and then they were dancing in Babylon all over each other. I don’t think we bothered to ask them.” I tell him.

 

 

“Maybe you and Michael should try it since neither of you will talk to the other.” He tell me.

 

 

“We aren’t Brian and Justin, our problems aren’t not telling each other we love each other but that Michael can’t stop running around chasing his friends.” I tell him.

 

 

“He’s afraid of being left alone.” Hunter tells me.

 

 

“So am I, but I don’t use it as a reason to worry about anyone but Michael, you, and me.” I tell him.

 

 

“It was dumb to come here, but I want you home.” He tells me.

 

 

“I was dumb to move out without telling Michael what he needs to hear. When we get home I promise to tell him.” I tell him.

 

 

Justin opens the door and tells Hunter dinner is in Ted’s room, which of course gets Hunter to run. 

 

 

“You hungry?” Justin asks me.

 

 

“No, just tired of everything.” I tell him.

 

 

“Me too.” He shuts the door and sits on the bed across from me.

 

 

“I’m sorry he said what he did.” I tell him.

 

 

“It’s Michael and my problem, it shouldn’t be yours.” He tells me.

 

 

“We have others, but it changed how I viewed him.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why?” He ask me.

 

 

“I never thought Michael had that side to him.” I tell him.

 

 

“He’s always had it, but just like all of us he hides it, until he can’t.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are you forgiving him?” I ask him.

 

 

“No, but I’m not going to let it affect my life, the way you seem to.” He tell me.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” I tell him.

 

 

“Why are you using as your reason to leave?” He asks me.

 

 

“There’s more to it than that.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben, you want to know why you are someone I could never see having a relationship with?” He tells me.

 

 

“I assume because you love Brian.” I tell him.

 

 

“Well of course, but no that not the only reason.” He tells me.

 

 

“Then tell me the reason.” I tell him.

 

 

“You never gave Michael a reason to fight for you. He comes and you give in. I didn’t just walk in and fuck Brian. I let him know that I was going to fight for him. He let me know that I would need to fight if I wanted him back. So I got a job, working for him. I took what he needed to say until we both were ready to be with each other. Walking away is easy, it’s staying until you resolve it that’s hard.” He tells me.

 

 

“I want a relationship that isn’t constant work.” I tell him.

 

 

“Then get a cat, they love you if you feed them.” He tells me.

 

 

“I wouldn’t have wanted a relationship with you either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I know.” He tells me.

 

 

“Why are you helping Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“I’m helping Brian not have to help Michael. He might be staying out of it but Michael means a lot to him.” He tell me.

 

 

“You mean more to Brian.” I tell him.

 

 

“Does Michael mean more to you? If he does then stop running from what you don’t want to say. It works wonders for a relationship when you aren’t afraid to say things. Just don’t leave it in limbo because it’s not fair to your son or to Michael.” He tells me.

 

 

“I think I’m hungry now.” I tell him.

 

 

Justin can be strangely old for such a young man. I guess it comes from years of Brian in his life. How did two people who followed Brian everywhere turn out so different from each other? I didn’t tell him why I wouldn’t have ever wanted a relationship with him, but he knows why. Justin would never love anyone the way he loves Brian, it must have been hard for the fiddler to know that he was just there until Justin ran back to Brian. 

 


Chapter 20 by starlight

MICHAEL 

 

 

I can’t find anybody, it's like they all disappeared. I called Lindsay and Mel, but like Brian and Justin, they weren’t answering my calls. I asked Ma where Emmett was when I didn’t see him at her house or Babylon.

 

 

“He said he and Ted were going out of town.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Did they tell you where?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I was getting ready for work, so I just told him to have a good time.” She tells me. 

 

 

“What about Hunter, he's been gone since yesterday?” I ask her. 

 

 

“He asked for a couple days off. Didn't you and he have plans?” She asks me. 

 

 

“No, I wouldn’t have minded doing something with him, but we didn't make any plans. I even tried Ben, and nothing again.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You need to sit Ben down and tell him you want him to come home.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It would work better if Michael asked Ben what he needs to do to make him want to come home.” Carl tells her. 

 

 

“I tried to find out what's bothering him, but he made it sound like Michael was the problem.” Ma tells him.

 

 

“You know, when a witness tells us what they see we treat it as a clue to solving a case. Ben was telling you what he sees as their problems, did either of you listen to him, or just ignore it because you didn't like what you heard?” He asks us. 

 

 

“I wanted to hang out with my friends, but they are all out of town. I thought maybe my friends could help me.” I explain to him. 

 

 

“Carl, Ben has to put effort into fixing his and Michael's problems too.” Ma tells him.

 

 

“From what I see Ben's the only one doing anything. Michael’s answer is anything but talking to Ben.” He tells her. 

 

 

I left because Carl would have kept going on and on. I called Mel again and she finally answers her phone.

 

 

“Is there some reason you haven't been answering me?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Daddy!” Jenny squealed.

 

 

“Hi Honey Bun, why are you answering Mama's phone?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Mama talk to Bian.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Is she on the other phone?” I ask her. 

 

 

“BIAN .” She tells me. 

 

 

“Can you give the phone to your mom?” I ask her. 

 

 

I wait for her to get one of the girls. After a minute I'm starting to think she forgot to get someone.  I was about to hang up, but heard Brian talking.

 

 

MEL

 

 

We got off the plane and see Brian waiting for Gus. Lindsay and I let them greet each other and kept Jenny from running to see her favorite person. I turned on my phone and didn't even bother to retrieve the messages. Michael’s been calling so much that it's getting annoying. Jenny grabs the phone to play her game. Emmett and Justin go with Lindsay to wait for Jen’s flight. We decided Brian and I would take the kids in one car and Justin and Lindsay would pick up Jen and meet us at the hotel. I buckled Jenny into the car seat, and went to help Brian load our bags in the car. We were on our way when Brian asked if Lindsay and I came to a decision about moving here.

 

 

“We both like the idea of not going back, it's not like we have families that care.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Daddy!” Jenny squealed.

 

 

“Jenny, he's my Dad not yours.” Gus tells her looking out the window. 

 

 

“Mama talk to Bian.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Yes sweetie, I'm talking to BRIAN.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I got Justin to agree to the house, so all that's left is convincing you two to move with us.” Brian tells me. 

 

 

“BIAN” Jenny looks at him smiling.  She hands me my phone and I put it on top of my purse between us.

 

 

“Are there homes nearby that Lindsay and I could look at?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Justin keeps referring to it as a mansion but it's not, the neighborhood has two houses near ours that you could afford.” He tells me. 

 

 

“How do you know what we can afford?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Ted does your books, I checked just to see if you and Lindsay would need help. Seems you’ve been doing well up there.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Not well enough for your idea of housing.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You need to let me help, I'm the one who wants us all the live in New York permanently.” He tells me. 

 

 

I smile because I knew he was going to try to pay for the house if he could, but I want Lindsay and I to do it. I turn to check on Jenny and could swear someone's calling my name. 

 

 

TED

 

 

“My work is done.” I mumble as I read through all the paperwork Brian handed me.

 

 

“It's why he hired us, to do all the hard work.” Cynthia says laughing through the phone.

 

 

“He buys a fabulous house and I get to do all the closing work. Cynthia, the building for Kinnetik NY is huge. I doubt it's going to be a branch but possibly headquarters.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Just remember that we're riding with him on this venture. I faxed what you needed. I need to check on Murph so I'll call you back.” She tells me, hanging up. 

 

 

The thing is, Brian has plans that include offices for Cynthia and I here, as well as Pittsburgh.  I'm always humbled that Brian brought me aboard his future. Jen will at least be able to take care of the closing on the house while I deal with the contractors to bring Kinnetik NY to life. 

 

 

Blake wanted to see the sights so Ben and Hunter went with him. I plan to do things after I get through all the shit Brian handed me. I was writing questions Brian needed to answer before anybody moves one thing into the new building. I always thought Emmett was the reigning Queen, until Brian showed me he will always top anyone in anything. I answer the phone so I can grumble some more to Cynthia.

 

 

“TED, I need you to tell me that they aren't fucking moving.” Michael tells me. Why didn't I look to see who was calling? 

 

 

“Look, Ben talked to Hunter and he’s planning on coming home and trying to work this out with you. You need to use this to convince your husband to come home. Hunter coming all the way to New York should show you how it's affecting him too.” I tell him.  Ready to smack myself for saying New York.

 

 

“So everyone was invited but me!!” He snarks.

 

 

“Let's see, I work for Brian so when he tells me to be somewhere, I go. Hunter’s here because he's trying to get you and Ben back together.  So no, it wasn't an invite, just me doing my job and Hunter doing yours.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I guess Emmett must work for Brian too if he was invited!” He tells me. 

 

 

“He does sometimes but in this case he wanted to apologize to Justin for his part in the bullshit last week. Before you say anything about Blake being here, I wanted my partner and I to come together. Which might be hard for you to understand since you let your partner walk out without stopping him.” I tell him, tired of the ‘Michael Against Anyone Doing What They Want Without Informing Michael’ society. 

 

 

“Then explain why Mel is looking for a fucking house that isn't in Pittsburgh!” He screeches.

 

 

“Not my place to say anything.” I hang up and dial Brian.

 

 

“Ted, I know that you have lots of things to do, so do them.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I called to tell you your secret is out, and I have no idea how.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Deb or Michael?” He asks. 

 

 

“Michael, but I'm sure after I hung up Deb won't be far behind.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'll tell Mel phone silence for now. Which you know goes for you and Cynthia too.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm going to pull a Michael and blame Cynthia because I thought she was calling me.” I whine.

 

 

“Make sure Blake never hears that or you and him will be looking into Viagra.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's a wonder you managed to keep it up after all the years of listening to Michael whine.” I tell him hanging up. 

 

 

I'm sure Carl is going to wish he snuck here with Hunter.

 

 

DEB 

 

 

Michael came in talking so fast that I couldn't understand him.

 

 

“They’re all there, nobody even thought about me. How could they change things without asking me if I was okay with it? Well I'm not staying here, I’m going to get answers from them for lying to me. I'm her fucking father and no one gets to make decisions about her without me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Michael, what are you talking about?” I ask him. 

 

 

“All my friends went to hang out without thinking it would be a good idea if I was there. I could have talked to Justin and fixed the mess Emmett made. Then I find out Hunter went there and didn’t tell me either and that's not even the worst part.” He tells me. 

 

 

You're not making any sense. Slow down and tell me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Everyone is in New York. I overheard Mel and Brian talking about Mel buying a house in New York to live there permanently. “ He tells me. 

 

 

“Jen said something about Brian wanting to move there, maybe that's what they were talking about. You said the girls were talking about moving here.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me Brian and Justin were talking about staying there?” He asks me. 

 

 

I've been worried about you and Ben. I'm sure they weren’t seriously going to do that. It's probably just an idea right now.” I tell him.  

 

 

“Then why was Brian saying she could look at houses in the same neighborhood?” He asks me.  

 

 

“He better not be convincing them to move near the house he bought Justin.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I didn’t think of that, but even if they do, at least it's not fucking New York. I heard Brian say New York and permanently, so I it sounds like they weren’t talking about here. I could kill Lindsay for convincing Brian that Justin should go there. It's been one headache after another. Justin should have told Lindsay to go if it was such a great opportunity.  Just because Lindsay says it, they fucking listen, no matter how bad the advice is.” He rants.

 

 

“She and Mel shouldn’t be giving anyone advice, because their answer was to run away instead of staying and letting us help. It shouldn’t matter to them what Brian wants but what’s best for everyone, and that’s not living somewhere else.” I tell him.  

 

 

“Brian is going to tell me, because I'm going there to talk to him face to face. He didn’t even call to tell us Hunter went there. Ben seems to know but didn't think he should tell ‘me’. When he and I go there, he's going to explain how he thinks I'm the one not talking to him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'll call Mel and Lindsay and straighten this shit out.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You obviously weren’t listening when I said Mel was with Brian too. He’s probably making it sound like it’s better to live in New York.” He tells me 

 

 

“I'm going with you. “ I tell him. 

 

 

MICHAEL 

 

 

I run home to pack a bag and come back to see Ma arguing with Carl. 

 

 

“We need to get going.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Deb, I've been patient with you about this, but if you get in that car, Michael isn’t the only person who loses a partner.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Carl, I'm just going…” 

 

 

“To get involved in something that isn't your business. They aren't moving to Mars for Christ sakes.” He tells her. 

 

 

“I want them here.” She tells him. 

 

 

“What you want doesn’t matter, it's what they want. So far you only know what Michael overheard, not what decisions they’ve made, and Michael isn’t the best person to listen to.” He tells her. 

 

 

“Fuck off, Carl. This concerns my life too.” I tell him.   

 

 

“Michael, don't talk to Carl like that. Go by yourself if that's your attitude.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Fine, but don't expect me to call you.” I tell her. 

 

 

I call Ben, because he needs to come with me. How could he think calling to talk to Hunter was all he should do?

 

 

“Michael.” 

 

 

“Ben, we need to go get Hunter. I can't believe you didn't call me and tell me he went to see Brian and Justin.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What part bothers you, Hunter taking off or him spending time with them?” He asks me.    

 

 

“Both, either. Look, are you coming with me or not?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Stay home, we'll be back tomorrow.” He practically orders me.

 

 

“You fucking went there too, without letting me know?” I ask him. 

 

 

“We'd have to have been talking to each other, which isn’t something you can do.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Trust me, we will talk when I get there.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Which won't happen since I won't be here. If you want to save this relationship go home and stay there.” He tells me angrily.

 

 

“If I don't?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Then you won't need to worry about me dying and leaving you alone. I'll do it while I'm still alive.” He tells me, hanging up. 

 

 

I turn my car around because he's serious and I can't lose him. I got home and cleaned up the kitchen, trying to do anything but get in the car and test if Ben would really walk away from me. 

 

 

My phone rings and I see Justin’s name on the phone. 

 

 

“If you're calling to tell me I'm a jackass who doesn't deserve your friendship, you're a bit late.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I’m calling because you need to get your head out of your ass.” Brian tells me. 

 

 

“Why are you calling on Justin’s phone?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Because Gus apparently needs to talk to Megan on mine.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Guess the Stud of Liberty Avenue ends with you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It ended years ago and I'm sure they'll find a new one.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Ben’s pissed and I don't know what to do.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Fight for him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“How?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Listen to him, let him tell you things that might hurt you to hear. Then don't let him leave until he realizes you want him and only him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Interesting advice coming from you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It didn’t come from me.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Are you reading some Cosmo advice column?” I joke. 

 

 

“I'm just seeing if what Justin did with me could work on Ben.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What?” I ask. 

 

 

“I wanted to correct the concensus that Justin fucked his way back. In case you still think that.” He tells me sarcastically.

 

 

“Is he ever going to get over it?” I ask him. 

 

 

“It's up to him. I need you to respect him enough to leave him alone.” He tells me. 

 

 

“He and I need to talk in order for him to see that I didn’t mean what I said.” I tell him.

 

 

“No you don’t, because right now he can’t talk to you. I’m at the point where I can barely talk to you.” He tells me.

 

 

“I thought you were over it?” I ask him.

 

 

“It’s not something I ever got over, I just didn’t want to talk about it because you tend to dig bigger holes when you try to talk your way out of things. I called because I don’t need your life interfering with mine.” He tells me.

 

 

“Oh, like you talking Mel into moving Jenny to New York, which is all about you and Justin and your kids.” I tell him getting pissed again.

 

 

“Mel and Lindsay see it as a way to still be able to put up with you and Deb. It seems that neither of you can fucking understand them wanting privacy.” He tell me.

 

 

“I understand wanting that, but I go to see my kid, not bother them.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m taking my own advice and telling you what I think of your idea of privacy.” He tells me.

 

 

“What?” I ask confused.

 

 

“I told Ben that if he wanted to make it work that he needed to tell you things, no matter how much you don’t want to hear them. So here’s me telling you things that changed my friendship with you. You can’t get it into your tiny mind that everything you do is invading our privacy. The showing up without calling, sending advice you can’t seem to listen to, to everyone. Opening your mouth and saying things, then saying ‘I don’t mean that way’. I can’t keep solving YOUR problems and I don’t need your mother telling me to do it for you. Michael, our friendship should have ended when I came to your house and you yelled that Justin had no reason to stay with me. Did it enter your mind when I showed up acting like a deranged man that I needed a friend, not to be told I’m unlovable?” He asks me.

 

 

“You thought coming to my house UNINVITED in the middle of the night was going to have me holding your hand and lying to you about why Justin left you again.” I tell him.

 

 

“I thought you were my BEST FRIEND and would listen to me tell you that I wanted Justin to come home. Not help him leave me. You keep saying that you want us to have good relationships but then you do what you can to make them worse.” He tells me.

 

 

“I do not.” I can’t believe he thinks that.

 

 

“If you stay in Pittsburgh like Ben asked, then it’s the first thing you did right in the last seven years.” He tells me.

 

 

“I looked out for you and Justin and Mel and Lindsay. I offered Ted and Emmett my shoulder when they needed it and I was there for you when you kept screwing up with Justin.” He isn’t going to say I screw up everything.

 

 

“You know, when I was waiting at the airport, I thought about my life and everyone in it. I came up with a few things, you want to hear them?” He asks me.

 

 

“It should have been how I’ve always been there for all of you.” I tell him.

 

 

“No, that your idea of helping only seems to add to the drama already going on. You call lying to Emmett about the prostitute, helping, or not grabbing Ted by the scruff of his neck and telling him that Crystal wasn’t making him more but less, helping? How about suing Mel when she was dealing with Lindsay’s affair and a new baby, was that helping her or you?” He asks me.

 

 

“Those were single things I did, not my whole history with them.” I tell him.

 

 

“I was waiting to get to the big one for me. Telling me about everything Justin did, but not once telling me what Justin was telling you. Were you still that jealous that you couldn’t help Justin with me?” He asks me.

 

 

“I told him the fucking truth, that he picked you to be in a relationship with, and he couldn’t expect you to change for him.” I tell him.

 

 

“I changed with every day he was in my life, guess you were too busy to notice it. You want to know why I encouraged Ben to go home and try to save your relationship?” He asks me.

 

 

“Because you know what Ben and I have is healthy compared to the supposed relationship you and Justin have. Ben and I don’t need other people in our relationship, because we love each other enough to forego relationship enders like that.” I tell him.

 

 

“Yet I’m with Justin and you're alone, how did your relationship work out that way?” He sneers.

 

 

“He’s coming home, so obviously it worked out. Not that you encouraging Ben had anything to do with it.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t my intention to help, but to keep you and Deb too busy to bother Justin or me. I don’t see you guys making it because it would require you to finally admit that it’s your fault for once. Deb can come to my loft and tell me to make it so you can take Dr David back, I mean Ben. I could be wrong, because Mel and Lindsay moving away from all of us helped them to see that the problem came from not talking to each other. They needed the distance from you and Deb to have the time to fix their marriage.” He tells me.

 

 

“You and Justin need distance to keep from having problems.” I tell him.

 

 

“Time's up for Kinney’s advice to the old and unreasonable. Don’t call for a while, unless it’s to tell me that you and Ben are back in stepford bliss.” He tells me and hangs up.

 

 

He really thinks that he and Justin know anything? I grab my bag and decide to go and tell them all what I think of their answers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 21 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

 

Brian sat there with my phone in his hand, scrolling through my calls.

 

 

“Michael’s never going to figure out that making ten calls a day won't solve anything.” I tell him.

 

 

“He gets it from Deb, she can be just as persistent.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I never saw her as being as bad as Michael.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's because she loves you as much as him.” He tells me. 

 

 

“She loves you too.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Only if I take care of Michael.” He tells me, sighing.

 

 

“You know better than that, she's just never figured out that half of Michael’s problems come from everyone helping him. I also think you need to stop worrying about him and go do things with Gus. Let it be up to Ben to solve things for them.” I tell him.

 

 

“Fine, we’ll go and see if I can show my son some fashion sense.” He tells me smiling.

 

 

“I’ll meet you at the hotel, I wanted to get some numbers for Lindsay to call about jobs.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, if I need to butt out, so do you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Go to Gus and see if he thinks Armani is the God he should be worshiping.” I kiss him.

 

 

“Armani isn’t a God but a way to make us look like one.” He smirks, walking out.

 

 

I smiled until the door closed. I think that Deb needs to hear what Brian thinks is her version of loving him. I start looking for my phone and realize the fucker took it. Like I don’t have a home phone to use. I pick up the phone and it took me three tries to remember her number. Cell phones are becoming the death of memorization.

 

 

“Justin, how are you? Are you eating and getting sleep, and do you need me to send you anything?” She rushes out.

 

 

“I’m fine, but it sounds like everything is going crazy in Pittsburgh.” I tell her.

 

 

“Michael’s really upset about everything.” She tells me.

 

 

“It’s better than indifference, which is where Ben is headed.” I tell her.

 

 

“I mean about you and Brian. He thinks you guys are going to move there permanently and the girls are too.” She tells me.   

 

 

“We are, it’s not a thought but what we have decided.” I tell her.

 

 

“Justin, why not come home?” She asks.

 

 

“Pittsburgh is just a place, not home for us. Home is a place where we want to be. I wanted to tell you about something Brian told me.” I tell her. “He seems to think you only love him if he takes care of Michael.”

 

 

“That’s not true, he’s like my son, the way you and the guys are to me.” She tells me.

 

 

“Brian only understands actions, you know that. Your actions tell him that your love is dependent on him taking care of Michael.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I didn’t know he thought like that.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Now you do. So instead of jumping on Michael’s crazy train, get off and help me keep you in my life.” I tell her. 

 

 

“This is you telling me in your roundabout way that it’s time to let my chicks grow up.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Without trying to tell us how. You love us and we know if we need you, you're there, so take a break from trying to rule the world. Carl will probably thank you for it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“He was less than happy with me, when I tried to go with Michael tonight.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Look at it from Ben's perspective, he was left behind while Michael ran off to get involved in our lives. It's a lonely place to be when you're in a relationship.” I tell her.   

 

 

“Michael didn’t see it that way.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Did you when Vic moved out?” I ask her. 

 

 

“It's not the same.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Vic put his foot down and told you that he couldn’t keep being at your beck and call. Instead of giving him what he needed, you saw it as him not wanting you around.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How does that have anything to do with Michael?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Michael hasn't been listening to Ben when he told him his needs. If you want Michael to stand next to Ben's grave one day the way you did at Vic’s, trying to figure out how he could have kept Ben in his life, then he's headed in the right direction.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It's become that bad for them?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I honestly don't know for sure, but Ben moving out wasn't good for the relationship, trust me.” I tell her. 

 

 

“How do I help fix this for Michael?” She asks me. 

 

 

“You don’t, HE has to give Ben a reason to stay, not you. Just like Mel and Lindsay don’t need you telling them what in the end is your wants. Them not living in Pittsburgh doesn’t change the fact that you’re Jenny’s Grandmother. You need to show Brian that he's the son you tell him he is, not that his only use is to fix everything for Michael.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Are you ever going to forgive Michael?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It's not forgiving him that's my problem. I could forgive Hobbs but it doesn't change what he did or in Michael’s case, what he said. If Michael came and told me what he said instead of brushing it aside, it would at least show me he understood what he said was wrong. Instead, I get ten calls a day telling me that I need to put aside my feelings and continue working with him. We all say things that shouldn’t have been said, but growth is owning up to your actions.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I need to stop helping him gloss over everything, don’t I?” She asks me. 

 

 

“You're a mom. Like my mom, you can’t help wanting to right our wrongs. Just don’t let it become a reason to lose everything.” I tell her.  

 

 

“I love you Sunshine.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's why I want you around for a long time. Shit, I need to go.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Call me.” She tells me, hanging up. 

 

 

I sat on the couch and realize Brian was saying “I love you” even then. 

 

 

DEB 

 

 

I hung up and looked at Carl. This man could give me the life that Vic wanted with Rodney, if I learn to keep him happy. 

 

 

“Was that your Sunshine?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Yes, and I think it's time I start listening to what you want from our relationship.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I only want us to have one that isn’t about you telling other people what to do. Michael is a grown man who can't see that Ben needs him to think of Ben first.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Carl, how about we think of us first. You want to retire and it's time for me to cut my apron strings.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Then marry me, because it's what we want.” He tells me getting down on his knees in front of me. 

 

 

“You still want to, even as angry as I've made you?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I've always wanted to, but was willing to respect your wishes.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I need to call Emmett.” I tell him, getting up. “To tell him I need help planning our wedding.” I tell him when he frowns.

 

 

“That’s a call I'm glad to hear you make.” He tells me kissing me.

 

 

I ran my hands up his arms and decide Emmett will still be there tomorrow, but my fiance is here tonight!

 

 

MEL

 

 

I watch Jen and Lindsay talking like mother and daughter. I wonder if it's because Jen isn’t judging the way we live our lives. Lindsay never had parents who listened to her. 

 

 

Brian walked in to hear Jenny squealing because her ‘Bian’ was there. Gus walked out with Brian’s phone to his ear and kept talking to the amazing Megan.

 

 

“My phone is going to die.” Brian tells him. 

 

 

“I was charging while we talked.” Gus tells him. 

 

 

“BIAN!” Jenny stomps her foot holding out her arms.

 

 

“Hey baby girl, miss me?” Brian says as he picks her up.

 

 

“You was gone for so long.” She tells him kissing him cheek.

 

 

“Sweetheart, don’t baby talk.” I tell her.

 

 

“She's three and thinks it's cute.” Gus smirks. 

 

 

“Michael knows about the move.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“How?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Not a clue.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Oh, Daddy called.” Jenny tells us, snuggling Brian.

 

 

“He did, when?” I ask her. 

 

 

“When we were driving, I gave you the phone.” She tells me. 

 

 

“And forgot to tell me?” I ask her, tickling her.

 

 

“Mama, BIAN” She tells me. 

 

 

“Brian appears and you forget.” I tell her rolling my eyes when Brian smirks.

 

 

“See, they all want me.” He tells me. 

 

 

I thought about that, was Brian bothered that I didn’t choose him? It would have made sense since he's already Gus’s father. Brian put Jenny down and gave her something from his pocket. He’s never differentiated between the kids. Michael doesn’t exactly do that, he just tends to favor Jenny more. It was something Lindsay and I managed not to do. I look at Brian smiling when Jenny hugs the Kitty doll, he really cares that she's happy.

 

 

“I never asked you if you wanted to do it again.” I tell him. 

 

 

“To me Justin’s kid is mine the way Gus is Justin’s.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Do you think it's too many fathers?” I ask him.

 

 

“Mel, you can't have kids the normal way, so you do it the only way you can. If you asked me to do it, I would have said no. We just don't have the bond that made Gus. I doubt we could see eye to eye on things.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's the problem I have with Michael.” I tell him. 

 

 

“You chose a drama queen and expected something different?” He asks me.

 

 

“He seemed like a better choice at the time. I looked at the choices and couldn't see Ted or Emmett raising a child. Justin was so young at the time. I was having nightmares about you, so I saw Michael as an answer.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I wasn’t thrilled when you and Lindsay asked me either. I want Justin to have everything he wants, and you're giving me the chance to do that for him. He would have been happy if you'd wanted me, but I want him to have a child from him. I was waiting for him to ask me, but like he said, when we would have the time?” He asks me. 

 

 

“You would have found a way if he wanted it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Not that these talks don't give me the warm fuzzies, but are you changing your mind?” He asks me. 

 

 

“No, just worried about your black heart.” I tell him.

 

 

“Smelly Melly worried about my feelings, I'm touched. I think I need to touch Justin to reassure me I still have my balls.” He tells me looking at Justin bending over to kiss Lindsay and his mom.

 

 

“Why does he think everyone needs him kissing them all the time?” Brian scowls. 

 

 

“Must be tough being with the one everyone loves more than you.” I smirk and kiss his cheek.

 

 

“If only I could get him in something other than cargos all the time.” He sighs. 

 

 

“I'm going to regret this but since your eyes never leave his ass in said cargos, I'm sure he’s smart enough to know you really don't care what he wears.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Nope, because naked ass is always better.” He tells me, leering at Justin. 

 

 

“TMI.” I tell him not that he's listening.

 

 

EMMETT 

 

 

I left the girls to get settled, and went to see if Ted or Blake were around. I got to Ted’s room and hoped he managed to get through with all of crap Brian shoved at him. I heard him talking to someone, but knocked anyway.

 

 

“Come in!” Ted shouted. 

 

 

I opened the door and wanted to slam it shut. I'm going to kill Brian Kinney. 

 

 

“Oh shit.” Ted says, looking from me to Drew.

 

 

“Sorry to interrupt, I'll go.” I tell them. 

 

 

“We're done, so it's fine.” Ted tells me. 

 

 

“Hey, how have you been?” Drew asks me.

 

 

“Fine, perfectly fine. You know, just doing my thing and well I'm just having the time of my life, you know.” I tell him, sounding like an idiot. 

 

 

“Great, then I'll leave you to do what you do.” Drew tells me getting up to leave.

 

 

I watch as he walks towards me, wanting to stop him but knowing I need more than he can give me. He walked right up to me and pulled me into a hug.

 

 

“I'm twenty-one. Your move.” He whispers then walks out the door.

 

 

“Emmett, if you want him, get him.” Ted tells me. 

 

 

I grab Ted and hug him for wanting only the best for me.      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

MICHAEL 

 

 

I got outside to see someone sitting on my car. I look closer and wonder why Daphne would be here.

 

 

“Hey, get off my car.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Not until you realize how stupid what you're about to do is.” Daphne tells me. 

 

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I'm talking about you ruining your marriage. Normally I'd let you hang yourself, but you're fucking with people I love. ” She tell me. 

 

 

“Like you have a clue about my relationship.” I tell her. 

 

 

“More than you seem to.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Whatever, can you get off my car, I need to go.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Nope, you seem to think running to Brian solves things. I'm here to save them from dealing with Mikey throwing a tantrum.” She tell me. 

 

 

“It's Michael, only my best friend has my permission to call me that.” I tell her.

 

 

“I have my best friend’s permission to tell you to solve your own shit.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Brian would want to help me.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Being best friends must mean something else to you. I don't need Justin to take care of me. You shouldn't need Brian to do that for you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Why are you here?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Someone who only wants the best for you and Ben asked me to stop you from driving Ben away by getting in this car.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Ben is just angry right now and he isn't going to leave me for doing this.” I tell her, lying to myself.

 

 

“You're willing to throw away your marriage by lying to yourself?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Why aren’t you pissed at me too?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I am, but I like Ben enough that if he wants you, then I'll help him. You need to be man enough to talk to your husband, not run from the only person stupid enough to love you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Why does Brian even like you?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Because I can be Justin’s friend and not act like I know everything about Justin, or rub it in Brian’s face that I knew Justin first. I also don't tell Brian anything as if I'm the authority on all things Justin. ” She tells me. 

 

 

“Brian needs me to stop him when he does things that will hurt Justin. Justin never understood that Brian will always do what he wants and not care how it affects Justin. I tried to get Justin to accept Brian the way he is.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Why do you do that?” She asks me. 

 

 

“What?” I ask her confused. 

 

 

“Try to make it sound like what you do is helping when it's just interfering. No one else sees it that way” She tells me. 

 

 

“You can seriously sit here and not see those two aren't always having problems?” I ask her. 

 

 

“Sure they do, but you have bigger problems. Me sitting on your car should give you a fucking clue, because no matter how Justin feels about you, he would still want to save you from yourself.” She tells me. 

 

 

I drop my bag, because she's right. Am I willing to risk Ben leaving because of everyone else?

 

 

“I don’t know how to make it right.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Running to New York isn't the answer. Remember, Justin tried it.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He also had Brian chasing him even when it went against everything Brian preaches.” I tell her leaning on the car.

 

 

“Scary to know that Brian wanted him even then, isn’t it?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It was the first time I was disappointed in Brian.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Why?” She asks me. 

 

 

“He acted like he didn’t care what happened to Justin. It made me wonder if everyone was right, that he can’t care about anyone.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I didn’t know Brian well then, but he went, so that's all that mattered to me at the time.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's weird now that I worried about someone who was replacing me.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Justin has a place in Brian’s life that you could never have filled.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I know, but I was living in a world where he'd eventually see me as more. Now I just see that Brian couldn’t give me what Ben does.” I tell her. 

 

 

“If you see that, why are you chasing your past and not your future?” She asks me. 

 

 

“Because I'm an idiot who can't tell Ben the things that are scaring me.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Mikey’s getting a clue.” She tells me smiling. 

 

 

“I still don’t understand why you showed up.” I tell her, not minding she used that name. 

 

 

“If want my boyfriend to quit worrying, I deal with you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Why would your boyfriend care?” I ask her. 

 

 

“That's my secret, maybe you'll figure it out.” She tells me hopping off my car.

 

 

She is such a strange girl, I feel sorry for her boyfriend. Instead of getting in my car to do something stupid, I drive to get breakfast for Ben and Hunter when they show up. I was walking around the store and realize that my answer to them dying is to do what I can to keep them healthy. I put up the white bread and grab wheat instead. Instead of regular oil, I start reading and grab olive oil. I get to the bacon and just can't pretend turkey is bacon. I drive home deciding that if Ben wants that much attention then I’ll give him all he can handle. Then he’ll see that he’s first, even if sometimes I have to help my friends.

 

 

BEN

 

 

I looked out the window of our room smiling at Emmett, who is sitting by the pool with Drew. They've been sitting there all night, talking. Brian might act like he doesn’t involve himself in all our lives, but Ted admitted that he and Drew meeting was planned by Brian, just so Emmett would accidentally bump into Drew. For someone who pretends not to give a shit, Brian’s actions are the opposite.

 

 

Hunter was smiling at his text messages. I wanted to let him sleep in, but I was really waiting to see if Michael ended our relationship by showing up. 

 

 

“You ready champ?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Yep, are you?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Hunter, don’t let whatever happens between us be your problem. Our problems aren't about you, but us.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Do you still love him? Because for all his faults, he's still my dad.” He asks me like he's apologizing for loving Michael.

 

 

“I do, but I need him to stop hiding his fears by using other people.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Then you need to tell him you're not okay with it, instead of finding ways to shut him up.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Brian Kinney’s school of truth?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Hunter Novotny-Bruckner’s observation on the lives of my fathers.” He tells me. 

 

 

Hunter goes to tell Jenny and Gus goodbye and I sit with Mel. We were leaving in time to get back for Hunter to work the dinner shift at the diner.     

 

 

“He's a wonderful big brother.” Mel tells me as Hunter carries Jenny around letting her talk a mile a minute.

 

 

“He's the best kid I could have had.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I hope you and Michael work it out.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I don’t know if we can, but him not showing up here is a start.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Even if he did, it's Michael not seeing the forest for the trees. Lindsay gets tunnel vision too, when it comes to Brian.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I can't wait forever for Michael to put us first.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Then don't be wishy-washy about it. You let him get away with everything and expect him to understand when you get upset at him for doing the same things you let him do yesterday.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I never saw it that way.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I didn’t either when I acted the same way with Lindsay. Now I can see what mixed signals did to our marriage. Michael isn’t blameless, but neither are you.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You're in a good mood.” I tell her because mellow isn't Mel.

 

 

“I want to hug a ray of Sunshine.” She tells me. 

 

 

“What did Justin do?” I ask her. 

 

 

“It's the call I got at five this morning. Which would have driven me insane yesterday but makes my life easier today.” She tells me. 

 

 

“You’re pregnant?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I'm waiting for next month, so no. I got a call from Deb.” She tells me. 

 

 

“What, to tell me to get home and take care of Michael?” I ask.

 

 

“She called to tell me Jenny is going to be a flower girl in her wedding. Then told me that she only wants us to promise to bring Jenny and Gus around more now that we are moving closer.” She tells me. 

 

 

“How the hell did Justin get her to listen?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I think it’s because Justin can say it in a way that it sounds less intrusive.” Mel tells me. 

 

 

“Brian’s too ‘in your face’.” I tell her.

 

 

“Just like me, Deb, and Blake can be.” She tells me. 

 

 

I kiss her and Jenny goodbye and get in the car with Hunter. He is constantly checking his phone but eventually falls asleep as we get on the highway. I don't know what will happen when we get home, but Michael and I need to make sure Hunter knows we will always love him. I hear his phone buzz on the console and look to see if I should wake him up.

 

 

“I love you too, get your ass home, so I can show you!😉”

 

 

I read it and realize Hunter’s got a girlfriend. I put his phone back and decide to let him tell us when he's ready. 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

I was in the kitchen reading about how folic acid helps in the growth of brain cells. I get up and realize that we need some orange juice and I wonder if Mel would think there’s really such thing as orange juice of the month club. I grab my wallet to run to the corner to get some juice. When I get back Brian is rolling his eyes at me.

 

 

“You know the Month Clubs are for different kinds of the same thing. So no Mel wouldn’t believe you. No we are not naming the baby BJ, for obvious reasons.” He tells me, looking at the notes on the side of the pages of the baby book.

 

 

“I only put that there to fuck with you.” I tell him, lying my ass off, because I didn’t think of that.

 

 

“Oh, and no we aren’t buying an ultrasound machine just so you can play Doctor with Mel.” He tells me.

 

 

I did the only thing guaranteed to shut up Brian Kinney, pulling down his sweats and giving him a reason to really argue that BJ is a bad name for the baby. 

 

 

“I like the way you think Mr Taylor.” He moans out.

 

 

I use my tongue to lick all the nerve ending that make his legs shake as I slowly slide him down my throat. He loves it when I hum to vibrate around his cock as I continue to fuck him with my mouth.

 

 

“There is nooo… way… lick it again.” He stutters out as I go back down on him.

 

 

He grabs my hair and starts moving his hips as he gets closer to cumming. I hold still and let my tongue do the work while Brian uses my mouth to get what he needs. I taste him and start swallowing as he pours himself into my mouth.

 

 

“Like I was saying there is no way to convince Mel to install cameras in the baby’s room so you can spy on it all the time.” He pants out.

 

 

“Stop reading my stuff.” I grab my books and walk away. Really, what’s wrong with watching over my kid all the time?

 

 


Chapter 23 by starlight

BEN

 

I pull into the driveway and don't know what I'm in for. Hunter woke up, grabbed his phone looking excited, and ran inside. I followed at a slower pace. I walked in to see Michael setting the table with a smile.

 

“I made breakfast, but we'll just call it dinner.” He tells me.

 

“We ate on the way here.” I tell him, waiting for him to get angry.

 

“At least have some juice.” He tells me.

 

I sit down almost worried, because he's so calm. I grab the glass and take a sip. I try not to wince at how sour it is.

 

“I tried to sweeten it with honey but limes are going to be sour.” He tells me smiling.

 

“Why lime?” I ask him.

 

“It provides vitamin C which is good for you.” He tells me.

 

“That was thoughtful of you.” I tell him.

 

“I've decided that you and Hunter need a healthy diet. So instead of the diner every morning I'll cook for us.” He tells me.

 

“I need a shower, but it was nice that you went to all this trouble.” I tell him.

 

I get up and Michael follows me into the bathroom. He runs to get towels and washcloths. I get in and see new soap and shampoo.

 

“I got soap that's not made with harmful chemicals.” He tells me.

 

I smile because I'm not sure what he expected from me. Instead of giving me the washcloth, he grabs the soap and starts washing my back and then the rest of me.

 

“Rinse off and I'll do your hair next.” He tells me.

 

I let him take care of my hair, then as I climb out he's wiping me down and tying the towel around me.

 

“I pulled the sheets back, so you can rest if you want to. I'll make your tea and be up with it in a second.” He tells me.

 

After he leaves I sit down on the bed and check if I came to the right house. Yep, right place, but what is Michael up to?

 

“Did you have to drive all the way here?” He asks when he comes back with my tea.

 

“Hunter has a late shift, so I let him nap.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe I should get a second job so Hunter isn’t running himself ragged.” He tells me.

 

“I think he likes to work.” I tell him, still confused. Did Michael just offer to get another job for Hunter?

 

“It would help us too. With Justin not doing Rage, it cuts down on what I can help with.” He tells me, and I feel like we're back on stable ground. “I understand what I did would make it hard for him to talk to me. So I was going to see if Ma has shifts I can take to help out.” He tells me.

 

Then he gets up and walks down to Hunter’s room. I listen to him talking to Hunter.

 

“I can go in for you if you need the rest. I left you a plate on the table, so at least eat before you run off. Call me and I'll pick you up, or we can walk home together. I hate the idea of you walking home alone. “ He tells Hunter.

 

“I usually take my car.” Hunter tells him.

 

“Just be careful driving, if you're too tired, call me about an hour before you get off and I'll walk there and drive you home. Hunter you need to put on warmer clothes. We need to get you a new jacket.” Michael tells him.

 

“You just got me this one.” Hunter tells him.

 

“I know, but we should have thought about how cold it's getting and gotten you a warmer one.” He tells Hunter.

 

“I need to get going, so later.” Even only hearing them talk I can tell Hunter is as confused as I am.

 

“Maybe I should see if Ma can knit him warmer sweater, until I can get him a jacket that's warmer.” He tells me from the doorway.

 

“It's not fall yet, so I'm sure he's fine with the jacket he wears.” I tell him.

 

“You're right, but I just don't want him to catch a cold.” He tells me.

 

“I think I'll nap for a while.” I tell him.

 

“Here let me tuck you in.” He tells me pulling the blankets around me.

 

I know I was staring at him strangely because I'm not sure why he's being so accommodating. He leans over and kisses my forehead.

 

“I'll take this with me, if you want more I'll make a new cup.” He tells me.

 

He walks out and closes the door. I just realized Michael is acting like Deb. I don't know what's worse, Michael ignoring me or the Deb clone that just walked out.

 

EMMETT

 

Drew asked me if I wanted us to try again and instead of jumping at it, I asked for time to think about it. He had a meeting with Brian, so he asked if I wanted to go out to eat tonight. I agreed to go, but wanted to have a little time to think without Drew distracting me. Justin was taking the girls and his mother to see the new house. I went along to see what Brian bought for Justin this time. We pulled into a courtyard and it's not a mansion, but it's not far from it.

 

“It's beautiful. “ Jen tells Justin.

 

“Now Brian and I have to decide what style of furniture to use. He told me my studio can have my tacky furniture, but he wanted the rest of the house to be new.” Justin tells us.

 

Everyone separated to look around the house. Justin had a small smile as he and I looked at the bedrooms.

 

“He seems to always want the best for you.” I tell him.

 

“He told me the first house was his way of giving me a home. I realized he was right, I was homeless for most of our relationship. ” He tells me.

 

“No you weren’t.” I tell him.

 

“Until I bought that shitty one room apartment, if you think about it, I didn’t have a place of my own.” He tells me.

 

“It's weird, but I can almost say the same. When we met I lived with Michael, who took me in. I stayed at the apartment until Ted and I got together then it was a series of places I stayed. I really should have moved out of Debs when Carl moved in, but he asked me to stay. I've been thinking lately that it's time to find my own place.” I tell him, looking at the fountain in front.

 

“Maybe Drew will move back there.” He tells me.

 

“He still owns a place there, he offered it to me. I'm trying to believe that he's ready for what I want.” I tell him.

 

“What’s stopping you?” Justin asks me.

 

“This is going to sound like I disapprove of the way you and Brian did things, but I don't. I just can't be in an open relationship, the way you were. He isn’t asking for that, but I left him because he wasn’t ready to settle down.” I tell him.

 

“Brian and I were able to separate other people from us. Most people couldn't, so it's fine that you couldn't. You either trust Drew when he tells you he's ready or you don't. Mel told us that she understood the way our relationship worked because when she cheated she didn't love the other woman, she just wanted something different. It's really how we both saw it. Drew knows you aren’t going to agree to an open relationship, so he's not offering one.” He tells me.

 

“How are you so sure what Drew wants?” I ask him.

 

“He asks about you.” Justin tells me.

 

“You sneaky little shit, you've been talking to Drew haven’t you?” I ask him, smiling.

 

“Brian had Drew check on me once in awhile. So we'd sit around talking, usually about you. At first it was because we really didn't know each other, then it was because he asked. He told Brian and me that he wanted more than a one night stand. He wants you.” He tells me.

 

“I want him too.” I tell him.

 

“Then take the chance he'll give you what you want.” He tells me.

 

“I want the fairy tale.” I tell him.

 

“Reality is better.” Justin tells me.

 

I'm standing in Justin’s reality and he's right, fairy tales are escapes to worlds that don't exist. Drew is real and wants me. Why hesitate when my feelings haven't changed? I pick up my phone and call him.

 

“I'm ready to do what it takes.” I tell Drew.

 

“Really, because I kind of promised Justin we were going to be just us.” Brian tells me.

 

“Why are you answering Drew's phone?” I ask him.

 

“Drew's busy getting undressed.” Brian tells me.

 

“Excuse me!?” I ask.

 

“What's wrong? “ Justin asks me.

 

“Brian said Drew's undressing.” I tell him, freaking out.

 

“You said I could watch, fucker.” Justin tells Brian after hitting speaker on my phone.

 

“WHAT?” I ask Justin, ready to kill anybody looking at my Drew.

 

“You'll see when I have the proofs. Drew is still weirded out by standing in underwear in front of everyone.” Brian tells Justin.

 

“Yet, he can run around a locker room naked.” Justin tells us.

 

“Justin, it's not the same as being on a billboard in Times Square.” Drew says through the phone.

 

“Drew, I'm ready.” I tell him, unable to keep it in.

 

“Give me a second.” I hear him say, but realized he was talking to Brian.

 

“I'm going to see what mom and the girls are doing.” Justin tells me, leaving me alone.

 

“Okay, I'm alone.” Drew tells me.

 

“Me too.” I tell him.

 

“I love you.” We both say.

 

“I guess my only question is, how we make this work?” He asks me.

 

“You like living here, don’t you? “ I ask him.

 

“I can live in Pittsburgh if it's what you want.” He tells me.

 

“Or I can have faith in us and live here with you. My business partner Darren would be thrilled to move here.” I tell him.

 

“Only if it's what you want.” Drew tells me.

 

“Pittsburgh was just where the bus stopped and I got off. I always thought I'd move on, now I see I was waiting for you to be ready.” I tell him.          

 

Chapter 24 by starlight

BEN 

 

 

For the last week, it's like whatever I want, Michael wants. I sat him down to tell him what I feel could get us back to where we were.

 

 

“Michael,  I think it's time to talk to each other.” I tell him. 

 

 

“If you feel we need to.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I want us to be together, but I can't keep treating you like I would Hunter.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t expect you to.” He tells me.

 

 

“It just seemed like the minute Brian left, you changed into someone I don’t really like.” I tell him.

 

 

“I didn’t change, it’s just… what do you need me to do?” He asks, trying not to show he doesn’t like what I’m saying.

 

 

“I need you to put me first and let everyone else live their lives their own way.” I tell him.

 

 

“I… okay, but I feel I’ve been showing you that I do that.” He tells me.

 

 

“You need to know that even when I said that I understand that you loved Brian at one time, I expected that when you agreed to marry me, that it meant that you put those feelings where they belong, in the past. It hurts me that our marriage didn’t stop you from running after Brian. It hurts that you can’t see that it seems like I’m the only one who wants us to stay together.” I tell him.

 

 

“You're the one who… “ He stops and looks frustrated. “I know Brian isn’t going to be the one for me, you need to stop using it as the reason you left.” He tells me.

 

 

“I left because no matter what anyone says to you, you only hear what you want. Mel wanted a baby with Justin and you start giving Justin reasons why you didn’t want to do it again, while telling Mel she should have picked you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just don’t get why they think it was okay…” He stops again. “It was wrong.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t want them moving to New York to become another problem in our marriage.” I tell him.

 

 

“My daughter is included in that move.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael it’s closer to us, which is a plus. Mel feels that Jenny’s old enough now to spend the summer with us.” I tell him, hoping he sees this as a good thing.

 

 

“So Jenny doesn’t get in her way when she has the next one, isn’t that great.” He tells me, tight lipped.

 

 

“That’s not why, and you need to see that.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’ve bent over backwards to show you that you come first, and now you act like I have to agree with them too.” He tells me, then sighs. “I’ll try to see it that way.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What the hell are you doing?” I finally ask, because this is nuts.

 

 

“I’m being everything you want and you know what, it’s bullshit. You married me knowing I care about my friends. Then you get bent out of shape because I didn’t ignore them for you.” He tells me.

 

 

“You're right, I did get tired of having to mediate because you can't see that the world doesn't revolve around you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“But you want it to revolve around you. I gave you what you wanted, yet you're still complaining.” He tells me rolling his eyes.

 

 

“I'm not complaining, I’m just trying to say what bothers me about our relationship. I never asked you to turn into your mother, but then you can't see that if you would stop and think before you do things, your life would be easier.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Shit, is it always going to come back to the shit I said about Justin, with you.” He tells me.

 

 

“You and Justin were friends but the minute he did something to Brian, you took upon yourself to  played the scorned boyfriend. Why?” I ask him. 

 

 

“He fucking had everything and threw it away because he couldn’t be happy. Brian was willing to give him things he never gave anyone and Justin was too busy screwing around to see it. I was angry he didn’t stop to think how what he was doing would affect everyone.” He tells me.

 

 

“How did what he did affect anyone else?” I ask him.

 

 

“Because we couldn’t be friends with both of them. Mel and Lindsay invite him to something they knew that Brian might show up at, like they were rubbing it in Brian’s face that Justin left him. Ma was siding with Justin and not seeing that Brian needed us. I couldn’t work with him because he betrayed my friendship by hurting Brian.” He tells me.

 

 

“How was that betraying you?” I ask him, because I don’t see it.

 

 

“I let him become my friend and he had to know that cheating on my best friend was wrong, but he sat there complaining about Brian and the whole time I’m trying to smooth it over, he was fucking cheating.” He tells me.

 

 

“Is that how you saw it?” I ask him.

 

 

“Yes, because even though no one believes me, he was becoming someone I admired and he ruined it. He overcame things I know I couldn’t and didn’t give up when people told him he couldn’t do something. I saw JT as the real hero in our stories, because a superhero has unlimited power and JT did things that a superhero never could.” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin did them, not JT. Michael, he couldn’t be like his comic, people have flaws that you can erase when you write fantasy. We aren’t perfect either. I’m the first to admit that I did things that I’m not proud of. The difference is, you move on and learn from them. Just like Brian learned that Justin needed him to say things, not just show them. Justin leaned on you because at the time, he needed an outlet for the things that your best friend wouldn’t listen to. That’s a lot of trust he put in you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I felt like that trust was abused, so I lashed out.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“I can understand that, but you need to tell that to Justin, instead of acting like everyone should forgive what you said. Michael I don’t want to continue whatever this is that you're doing, it’s not you. If we can’t find a way to make us work without you turning into some fifties housewife, we really need to end it without hating each other.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben, I don’t know how to be what you want. I know that my friends need me to be there for them and sometimes you aren’t going to agree with how I deal with them, but I expect you to support me.” He tells me.

 

 

“I can’t support someone who expects everyone to put everything they want on hold for you.” I tell him, seeing that we aren’t going in the same direction.

 

 

“What’s really left to say then, but goodbye?” Michael asks me wiping his eyes.

 

 

“I’ll start looking for a place, I’m always here for you, but I need someone who can be here for me too.” I tell him, walking away.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

Ted ended up staying for an extra week because I needed him to deal with people for me. I can’t be nice when they fuck up, he can. Justin told me that he wasn’t playing the wife, and if I wanted the house to be more than beanbag chairs, that I needed to get my ass involved in it. I kind of hoped Lindsay and Jen would have done it for us. They both know the style I look for and would save Justin and I the time doing it. 

 

 

“It’s OUR house and I expect you to have input in it. I don’t want to listen to you bitch for the next twenty years about a fucking couch.” He tells me.

 

 

I couldn’t help it, I kissed him in the middle of the furniture store.

 

 

“What?” Justin asks me, wrinkling his nose and looking confused.

 

 

“You're no longer seeing our relationship in weeks or months.” I tell him.

 

 

“I never saw it that way, it was you that did.” He tells me.

 

 

“Okay twat, I realized that when you said twenty years, it seemed natural to say it.” I tell him.

 

 

Justin left me to pick out things for the living room and told me he wanted to look at other things. Justin just hates shopping, which makes most trips, other than the grocery store of course, tedious for him. I picked out things that I could see my kids being comfortable on. Which showed that for me, life was changing. Before, it wouldn’t have mattered if the couch was comfortable, just that it looked good with the rest of the apartment. After I was finished, I went to look for Justin, which really shouldn’t have been that hard to find. I finally found him in the baby rooms, sitting in a chair, drawing. 

 

 

“He seems to like the chair.” The saleswoman tells me.

 

 

“He likes anywhere that he has room to draw.” I tell her.

 

 

“Are you guys having a baby?” She asks me.

 

 

“In a way.” I tell her.

 

 

“If it helps, he seems to really like the dark oak set he’s been sitting in front of.” She tells me smiling and walking away.

 

 

I walk over to see Justin drawing Rage, not the furniture. “You miss doing it?” I ask him.

 

 

“It gives me something to do when I’m stuck with a painting.” He tells me.

 

 

“Then send Michael the panels, you don’t have to talk to him to draw them.” I tell him.

 

 

“I will, I just needed some space before we started Rage again. I know that once we do we have to be able to talk to each other, and it’s been enough time that I can at least talk about the comic with him.” He tells me.

 

 

“Just hang up if he wants more.” I tell him.

 

 

“We’ll see after I send these off to him.” He tells me.

 

 

“So you like this stuff.” I ask changing the subject.

 

 

“No, it’s just the sales people won’t leave me alone, until I told the last one I wanted to wait to show my husband this set. It’s like ten thousand for three dressers, I still say we build them. I think she saw backing off could get her a fat commision.” He tells me walking off.

 

 

A fat commision is what she got, because Justin doesn’t ask for the things he likes, he blows them off. 

 

 

TED

 

 

I answered my phone only because Michael had been silent all week and well, I never imagined that was possible for him.

 

 

“I think Ben and I just ended it.” He tells me.

 

 

“Did you even try, or did you just expect him to do it for you?” I ask him.

 

 

“I tried Ted, but I just can’t be June Cleaver for him.” He tells me.

 

 

“He didn’t expect that from you, just that for once for you to see that he needed you too.” I tell him.

 

 

“Ben has it together enough that I felt useless to him.” He tells me.

 

 

“You call the steroids, together? Michael, he has flaws too.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just called to tell you because I didn’t want you to be surprised by it.” He tells me.

 

 

“So, once again you let him go instead of fighting to keep him.” I tell him.

 

 

“He wants me to be someone I’m not for him.” He tells me.

 

 

“No, he wanted the man he got to know, not the one who butted into everyone’s life.” I tell him.

 

 

“Look, can you tell Mel that she needs to call me, because we need to talk about where my kid is going to live.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael, New York isn’t that far away and it’s really their decision.” I tell him.

 

 

“We have a custody agreement and I’m going to start holding her to it.” He tells me.

 

 

“Then you need to call her if you want to start a fight with her. I’m not doing it for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Fine, but you should point out to her that following Brian’s example only leads to problems.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

 

Fuck, we now have Michael without someone to rein him in. Thanks Ben.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 25 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

 

I FedEx the panels to Michael, but I know he'll see it as me forgiving him, when I'm just really ambivalent about it. Ted told us Michael and Ben broke up and that Michael is now going to insist Mel move to Pittsburgh. I called Daphne, because this shit will affect her.

 

 

“Hey, give me a minute.” She tells me. “Okay, I'm alone.” She tells me sighing. 

 

 

“What's wrong?” I ask her, because she's not her bubbly self.

 

 

“Hunter's having a hard time with them breaking up.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's never easy to see your parents split up.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Michael’s acting like a jackass.” She tells me. 

 

 

“How does that surprise you?” I ask her. 

 

 

“I thought I got through to him when I stopped him from running off. Now instead of fixing his relationship with Ben, he’s going after Mel.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Which Mel can handle, so take care of Hunter, he's going to need you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I think he's tired of hiding our relationship.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Why are you hiding it?” I ask her. 

 

 

“At first it was because he's younger than me, but now, because I don't want Michael involved. Hunter wants to be able to do things without feeling like he has to hide us.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Then don't let Michael hurt your relationship. Hunter can't be your secret if you love him.” I tell her, smiling when Brian mouths ‘Hunter and Daphne’.

 

 

“I know and that's why we're going to Sunday dinner at Deb’s together.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I can come if you need support.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Will you? Because I don’t see anyone having a problem with this but Michael. My parents like Hunter and just told us to be careful, which surprised me.” She tells me. 

 

 

“HIV isn’t who Hunter is, just something he has. They were able to see that. Even I told you that when you called.” I tell her.

 

 

“I don’t see the disease, I see him. I love him for not letting the world limit him.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Michael will give you both a hard time because he worries about his son. Just don’t let him get to you.” I tell her. 

 

 

“You might as well tell Brian, because I'm begging you to help me with this.” She tells me. 

 

 

I hang up and look at Brian, who's reclining on the bed. Climbing in next to him, I lay my head on his shoulder.

 

 

“So Daphne’s getting busy with the littlest hustler?” He smirks. 

 

 

“No, she finally fell in love for real this time. She sees him in her future.” I tell him. 

 

 

“He’s a good guy, just had a shit life.” He tells me. 

 

 

“She needs me to be there for her when they finally tell the family.” I tell him. 

 

 

 “WE will, so I guess we're going to Pittsburgh this weekend.” He tells me. 

 

 

“How do you think Michael is going to take this? Because she's worried about it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Hopefully he'll see that Hunter’s happy. If he doesn't, he could lose Hunter.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I can’t believe I’m going to ask you this but I want everything to go well for her. Help Michael realize that it could be a good thing?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t know if he’ll listen, but for her and you, I’ll try.” He tells me.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

I was sitting in the middle of the construction looking at the plans and trying to decide if it was better to let Michael know before they surprise him. I just think that he should see that, for Hunter, this is a good thing. Even though I still haven’t wrapped my mind around Daphne and Hunter together. It certainly explains a lot about how Hunter seems to know things, like us being in Pittsburgh, and why he would see Justin as a way to help Michael and Ben. Ben needs to be there too, because I have a feeling that we are about to ride into a storm with Michael.

 

 

“Brian, look I just don’t see any way to save my relationship, and dinner won’t help.” Ben tells me when I told him to come to Deb’s.

 

 

“It’s about Hunter, not you or Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

“Hunter’s fine, is there something else going on?” He asks me concerned.

 

 

“Your baby is bring a guest for dinner.” I tell him.

 

 

“So he’s finally going to tell us about the girlfriend?” He ask me.

 

 

“You know?” I ask him.

 

 

“I saw a text, so I suspected. I was waiting for him to tell me.” He tells me.

 

 

“Well, your baby managed to land a girl who will rock his world.” I tell him.

 

 

“You know who it is, don’t you?” He asks me.

 

 

“Justin knew, but like everything else, he doesn’t say anything until they let him.” I tell him.

 

 

“Hunter confided in Justin?” He asks.

 

 

“No, but Daphne did.” I drop the bomb.

 

 

“Are you kidding?” He asks.

 

 

“Nope, I never saw that one coming either. Apparently the three of them have kept this a secret for a few months.” I tell him.

 

 

“She’s a wonderful girl, so I don’t understand why I need to be at dinner. I can have them at my place later, so they know I approve.” He tells me.

 

 

“We are more worried about what Michael is going to do. Daphne isn’t going to sit and let him say anything she doesn’t like. I think we can at least stop Michael from going too far. Do it for Hunter.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’ll be there, but Michael isn’t my reason.” He tells me.

 

 

I look around at the building and it looks like the aftermath of a storm, but with a few nails it will once again be fixable. I just hope Michael doesn’t manage to destroy his relationship with Hunter when he finds out. Hunter’s the only one right now who still loves Michael.

 

 

MEL

 

 

When I saw Michael on my phone display, I wanted to break the phone. This was not the day to hear him piss and whine about his rights. Lindsay took the phone and silenced the ring.

 

 

“It’s our day to be happy.” She tells me.

 

 

I lay back down, we are waiting for the doctor to come in and start the procedure.

 

 

“Are you happy?” I ask her.

 

 

“The happiest I’ve ever been, we are about to be moms again. We are moving to a new home and starting a new life. I like that you're supporting me in my career.” She tells me.

 

 

“Lindsay, you landed a job in a major Gallery, of course I support you. Now I want you to start creating. You might never be famous, but it’s a part of you the way it’s a part of Justin. I want our kids to see that they need to be happy in what they do. That it’s not all about the money.” I tell her.

 

 

“I’m working on it, but love you for supporting me.” She tells me kissing me.

 

 

The doctor comes in and all of a sudden I’m giggling because I keep thinking of Brian calling it magical sperm. I finally stop when he inseminates me, and I lay there to wait for what will hopefully become a baby.

 

 

An hour later we walk out and I grab Lindsay’s hand and smile at how much she smiles now. I don’t care what Michael thinks he’s going to do, this is all I wanted for us to be happy.

 

 

I was sitting on my bed going over a file when my phone rang and I was thrilled to see Brian, not Michael, for once.

 

 

“Hey, Magical Sperm has entered the building.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m so proud of the swimmers, but I need to get you and Lindsay to help us.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” I ask, worried.

 

 

“Nothing if you ask me, but I think Jenny could temper Michael when he meets Hunter’s girlfriend.” He tells me.

 

 

“Hunter has a girlfriend?” I ask, really happy for him.

 

 

“Yes he does, and she’s coming to dinner.” I tell her.

 

 

“You want me to send Jenny, why?” I ask him.

 

 

“Ben isn’t going to be any help if Michael queens out, but Michael won’t scare Jenny.” He tells me.

 

 

“What’s wrong with the girlfriend?” I ask him.

 

 

“Nothing, Daphne’s great, I just don’t think Michael is going to like it.” He tells me.

 

 

“Can I say ‘WOW’ without it sounding like an insult to either of them?” I ask him.

 

 

“I kept from saying ‘GO HUNTER’ so your being tame compared to me.” He tells me.

 

 

“I kind of want to see it.” I tell him.

 

 

“Then take the tickets I booked for you guys and come.” He tells me, hanging up before I can say anything.

 

 

I get up to tell Lindsay, because it might be gossip, but it’s really wonderful for Hunter.

 

 

“Mel, you're suppose to be resting, do I have to call and tell Justin?” She tells me, laughing.

 

 

“I thought you would like to know that we are going to Pittsburgh to protect Hunter when he introduces Daphne to Michael as his girlfriend.” I tell her, walking away.

 

 

“Get back here, how did you find out?” She asks me, pulling me in her lap.

 

 

“Brian called and asked me to bring Jenny, in case Michael runs his mouth. You know he’s really careful about what he says in front of her.” I tell her.

 

 

“We can share our news, he’ll be too busy telling us we shouldn’t have done it. We can take one for the team.” She tells me.

 

 

I get up and realize I’m as bad as Emmett, because I’m dialing Ted.

 

 

“Hey, so everything went okay?” He asks me.

 

 

“There isn’t a lot to it, just lay there and let the sperm do it’s job. I’m calling because if I’m attending dinner at Deb’s this weekend, so are you. Our little Hunter has a girlfriend.” I tell him.

 

 

“That’s great but why are you coming here?” He asks me.

 

 

“So that Lindsay and I can support Hunter and Daphne.” I tell him, giggling when he goes silent for a minute.

 

 

“We’ll be there.” He says and hangs up.

 

 

TED

 

 

I started laughing when I realized that that’s how Hunter seemed to know so much about Brian and Justin. Daphne was telling him. Blake walks in smiling as I try to get my laughter under control.

 

 

“Hunter’s dating Daphne.” I tell him.

 

 

“I know.” He tells me.

 

 

“Wait, how do you know?” I ask him.

 

 

“I’ve seen them together. They can’t seem to keep their hands off each other. Well as long as they thought no one was watching.” He tells me.

 

 

“You managed not to tell anyone?” I ask him.

 

 

“I figured they would tell when they were ready. I know Justin knew, but like him, I kept it to myself.” He tells me.

 

 

“Is it bad that I want to call Emmett to tell him?” I ask him.

 

 

“I think that good news is great to share.” He tells me.

 

 

I dial Emmett.

 

 

“Hey Teddy, I’m here for the week, you and Blake want to meet Drew and I for lunch?” He asks me.

 

 

“Sure, I can tell you about the things going on.” I tell him.

 

 

We agreed to meet at the bistro across town. Emmett and Drew were sitting there waiting for us when we arrived. I let us get our orders out of the way to tell Emmett about Hunter.

 

 

“So what’s the big news?” Emmett asks me.

 

 

“Hunter and Daphne are dating.” I tell him.

 

 

“Oh My God, that girl is going to get it for not calling me.” Emmett pulls out his phone. 

 

 

“Princess, do you have something to tell Aunty Em?… Honey you made it into the grapevine, and once that happens, we all know… I’ll bring Drewsy to kick his ass if he says one thing… love you too Sweetie.” Emmett tells her then hangs up.

 

 

“We are going to have to go support my princess and her man.” Emmett tells us.

 

 

“Michael might accept it.” Blake says in a way that sounds like he doesn’t believe it either.

 

 

“Well let’s toast to Mel, she went to get pregnant today.” I tell them, getting off the subject, but almost wished I saved my ears from Emmett’s squeal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 26 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

Justin and I were staying at the loft this weekend with Gus, while Mel and Lindsay stayed at Drew's place. Michael came to the airport for Jenny, acting like we were putting him out because he had to be here if he wanted Jenny.

 

 

“I'll keep her and bring her on Sunday. It's really inconvenient that I can't have my visitation because of the distance between us.” He tells Mel. 

 

 

“Which, as I told you was not a big deal because we would meet you halfway. You only have to call and tell us when.” she tells him.

 

 

“Jenny shouldn’t have to be the one traveling.” He tells her. 

 

 

“It’s the way it will be so that you get your visitation. No amount of griping at me is going change where we live.” Mel tells him.

 

 

“I guess only Gus gets to have a father.” He tells her, walking away with Jenny.

 

 

“I’m going to let it go, because I promised myself not to do this with him.” Mel tells us.

 

 

“He’s never going to be happy, even if we lived here he’d have a problem with it.” Lindsay tells her.

 

 

I was already regretting telling Justin that I would try to talk to Michael. We didn’t even get out of the airport without his bitching. I kissed Justin and went to follow Michael to his car. He was putting Jenny in her carseat when I walked up.

 

 

“Look, I can’t help the way I feel about Jenny living away from me.” He tells me.

 

 

“You can help the way you talk to Mel about it, she isn’t keeping Jenny from you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just have a lot going on and it would be nice to see my daughter more.” He tells me, getting in and driving off.

 

 

“Guess that didn’t go so well.” Justin tells me.

 

 

“I didn’t expect it to, but you looked like you were going to kill him when he started in on Mel.” I tell him.

 

 

“Being upset is bad for the baby and the mother.” He tells me.

 

 

“You understand, with her being a lawyer, she tends to get worked up when cross-examining a witness.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why did you tell me that? Now I’m going to worry about that too.” He tells me scowling.

 

 

“At least I convinced Deb to do dinner tonight, instead of tomorrow. You can spend all day calming all your women down tomorrow.” I tell him, smirking.

 

 

“Don’t worry, I have a spa day planned in case it goes south tonight.” He tells me, sticking out his tongue.

 

 

DEB 

 

 

I was thrilled when Brian called to let me know that everyone was coming to dinner tonight. It will be the first time we're all together in years. I started making lasagna and the homemade noodles for spaghetti. Carl promised to pick up chicken and veal. It felt great to cook for a house full again. Hunter walked in and sat at the table staring at his hands.

 

 

“Why the long face?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I'm trying to decide if I should tell Michael something.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Honey, I know things have been going bad with Ben and Michael, but they both love you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I'm bringing my girlfriend to dinner tonight, I just don’t want him to overreacting about it.” He tells me. 

 

 

“I'm so happy for you.” I tell him hugging him.

 

 

“We've been dating for a few months and I want us to be able to do things without hiding it anymore.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Did she want to hide it?” Trying to hold back my anger.

 

 

“At first we were just hanging out, so I didn't see any reason to say anything. Then we didn’t want everyone making a big deal out of it. I'm just ready for us to be out in the open with it. Her parents were great even though I could tell the HIV scared them, but we reassured them that we weren't ready for that step, and when we were that we'd take every precaution, because I love her too much to risk her like that.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It sounds like you really talked everything through with her. Michael only wants what's best for you.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I hope so, but he’s been so busy fighting with Mel that I just stay with Ben.” He tells me.

 

 

“You just bring her here and I’ll help you with Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

Carl and I were so busy getting things ready that I didn’t realize the guys had trickled into the house and were setting up the table. I smiled at Justin when he came over to grab some cheese cubes. I plan to feed him this weekend, he’s getting too skinny. Carl came over to get dishes so we could get started and I smiled when the boys sat down. Michael came in with Jenny and Ben, which I wish was different but I promised Carl that I wouldn’t get involved. Mel and Lindsay came in laughing about who knows what and I see they are happier than I’ve ever see them. Michael sat Jenny between Ben and him, but I could see the separation that grows as each day passes. This is not how I wanted Michael’s life to go.

 

 

“Are we going to eat?” Michael asks when everyone sat around spying the door.

 

 

“Hunter’s still on his way.” I tell him.

 

 

When the door opens I see Hunter first and pulling... Daphne?

 

 

“Hey, we made it.” Hunter tells us like he didn’t just blow me over.

 

 

“What are you doing with Daphne?” Michael asks confused.

 

 

“I wanted everyone to meet my girlfriend.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“Where is she?” Michael asks.

 

 

“Right here.” Hunter tells him, putting his arm around Daphne and rolling his eyes.

 

 

“Very funny, you two.” Michael tells them.

 

 

“I brought her here to introduce her as my girlfriend.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

I looked around and I could see everyone waiting to see how Michael took this. He turned to me and then looked at everyone else. I could see that he realized that no one was acting surprised at it. I had two theories on how he would take this; he’d be happy for Hunter but not thrilled that it was Daphne, or we’d see Michael erupt like a volcano. I’m leaning towards volcano since he’s standing up with his arms crossed and turning a shade of red that really does nothing for him.

 

 

“Am I the only person you haven’t told?” He asks Hunter.

 

 

“I haven’t told anyone, but there were people who knew.” Hunter tells him, trying to shield Daphne. Hunter has a lot to learn about her.

 

 

“If you want to be pissed, be pissed at me, because I told MY BEST FRIEND.” Daphne tells him.

 

 

“I’m not pissed about Hunter finding a girlfriend.” He tells her.

 

 

“Then why are you standing there, instead of welcoming her to the table?” Emmett rolls his eyes and gets up to pull them to sit down.

 

 

“It’s just interesting that something that Hunter should have came and told me about, he didn’t.” He tells us glaring at Justin.

 

 

“You make it hard for anyone to tell you anything.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“It sounds like your girlfriend is telling you what to think.” He tells Hunter.

 

 

“No, it comes from watching my father act like an ass when people don’t do what he wants or expects.” Hunter tells us. 

 

 

“I don’t see you keeping Daphne a secret as being very adult.” He tells Hunter.

 

 

“I asked him to wait until we were sure this would even work. The last thing I wanted was everyone making bets on how long we’d last.” Daphne tells him. I swear she and Justin are open books to each other.

 

 

“It’s most likely because you and Hunter wouldn’t like that we were right. I’d put twenty on you two breaking up in less than a week.” He tells her.

 

 

“Then hand it over since it’s been a few months.” Daphne smirked at him.

 

 

“Hunter needs to be worried about school, not keeping you happy.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“Daphne’s the one making me study, and she’s the one who kept me from dropping out when I was about to.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“Hunter why were you going to drop out?” Ben asked, concerned.

 

 

“I just felt out of place, a lot of the assholes I went to high school with are going there. It took less than a month before they were telling people about me. Daphne came by the diner when I was about to say fuck it and quit. She made me see that I couldn’t let people who won’t be in my life a year from now, keep me from a future.” He tells Ben.

 

 

“Thank-you for that.” Ben smiles to Daphne.

 

 

“He was doing really well and I didn’t want him throwing it away for people who are narrow minded.” Daphne tells him.

 

 

“Which you should have told us about, not her.” Michael tells Hunter.

 

 

“You would have acted like I should suck it up and scurry around. You and Ben both acted like I should have been able to handle the shit that happened in high school.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“Your answer was to run away.” Michael tells him.

 

 

“Your answer was to hand me the money to leave, so it’s not like either of us were making great decisions.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

Michael stood there for a minute and then walked out the front door slamming it shut. Ben shook his head when Deb went to get up and go after him.

 

 

“That’s half his problem, us running after him to smooth things over.” Ben tells her.

 

 

“At least we stick by him.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“Deb, Ben tried, your son didn’t.” Carl tells her.

 

 

“He needs someone he can talk to, and right now there’s no one.” Deb tells him looking at me.

 

 

Justin stands up and starts walking towards the door. I get up too, because I don’t want him doing this.

 

 

“Brian he’s mad at you, Mel, Ben, and well, the world in general. He and I need to talk anyway, might as well do it when he’s too angry to guard his words.” Justin tell me.

 

 

“I don’t want him lashing out at you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Let him, it’s not like our friendship can sink any further than it already has. I want my best friend to not have Michael using her and Hunter as a way to avoid what’s really bothering him.” He tells me.

 

 

“Go eat with everyone and let me see if I can help.” He kisses me and opens the door.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

I looked around and didn’t see Michael out front so I walk to the end of the walkway and look down the sidewalk to see him walking away from Debs.

 

 

“Michael you know you have to come back and get Jenny if you leave.” I tell him, catching up to him.

 

 

“Why the fuck would my kid think I would be upset that he found a girlfriend?” Michael asks me continuing to walk.

 

 

“Because that’s how you just acted.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why the fuck did it have to be her?” He asked out loud.

 

 

“The same reason it’s always someone, they found something they like about each other.” I tell him.

 

 

“Please, we know what they like about each other.” He tells me, rolling his eyes.

 

 

“They haven’t even gone that far, your son wants to wait until he sees them with a future.” I tell him.

 

 

“At least that's one less thing for me to worry about.” He tells me.

 

 

“Even if they were, you and Ben were careful and they will be too.” I tell him.

 

 

“I miss this.” He tells me.

 

 

“I couldn’t do this with you, but Daphne means a lot to me, it doesn’t change that I hate you for saying what you did.” I tell him.

 

 

“I hated you for ruining our friendship.” He tell me.

 

 

“And everyone else acted like it was okay what I did. So you decided that someone had to see it as wrong?” I ask him.

 

 

“It’s like no matter what, you always come out as being right. No one cared that you shit all over your relationship, because they all thought Brian should have treated you better.” He tells me.

 

 

“I didn’t deserve anybody siding with me. I cheated on him for a while and then when he called me on it, I expected him to tell me he loved me. Instead of staying until he could look at me again, I ran off with Ethan.  I knew what I was doing was wrong, but used Brian fucking Rage as a reason to leave. I can’t help how other people viewed it.” I tell him.

 

 

“I was angry because I felt like you used me when I was listening to you talk about Brian.” He tells me.

 

 

“Michael, I wasn’t thrilled with you for going behind my back and telling Brian about Ethan, but I never would have said what you did. For once just admit the truth, I had what you always wanted and tossed it away, you couldn't understand that.” I tell him.

 

 

“He gave you everything.” He tells me.

 

 

“You realize how big of a hypocrite you are don't you? You constantly tell us open relationships are doomed to fail but then act surprised that we did. Look, I didn’t chase you out here for this, but to tell you if you want Rage to continue, then you go in and tell Hunter you’re happy for him.” I tell him.  

 

“You're blackmailing me?” He asks me.

 

“Why not? It gets you what you want, and saves the rest of us from your bitching.” I tell him.  

 

 

He turned and started for the house again. We walked in silence towards it. I think we both see that we’ll never be the kind of friends we were, but we can deal with each other.

 

 

Walking in and hearing Daphne say, “When I transfer to New York School of Medicine, we want to see if Hunter can get into NYU.” was all it took for the peace to end.

 

 

“What the hell are you thinking? Because if you follow her to fucking New York, I’m not helping pay for it.” Michael yells at them.

 

 

“I can get scholarships, so it’s not a problem.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“This is all your fault, they all fucking want to move because of you.” Michael tells Brian.

 

 

“They want to move forward, not stand still for the rest of their lives.” Brian tells him.

 

 

“Now it’s my fault that you convinced Mel to take my daughter there instead of here?” He asks Brian.

 

 

I sit next to Daphne, because well, this is better then him being pissed at them.

 

 

“All that it took was her remembering what it was like to deal with you.” Brian tells him.

 

 

“I guess since I wanted my daughter, they had to deal with what a real father was like, for the first time.” Michael tells Brian.

 

 

“That was never about Jenny, but a way for you to show Mel and Lindsay that no one gets away with not telling you things that were none of your fucking business in the first place.” I tell him.

 

 

“Bullshit, it was about giving my daughter a home, unlike the shit they did to Gus.” Michael tells him.  

 

 

“They took care of my son, so I didn’t feel that being a single mother was something to make an issue of. Which considering, you shouldn’t have seen it that way either.” Brian tells him.

 

 

“You just always have to be right about everything don’t you?” Michael asks him.

 

 

“At least I don’t close my mind the minute I don’t agree with something.” Brian tells him.

 

 

“What, that Hunter wants to follow Daphne? What happens to Hunter when she finds a guy who isn’t going to come with Hunter’s issues?” Michael asks us.

 

 

“What issues?” Hunter quietly interrupts them.

 

 

“Hunter, you know what I’m talking about.” Michael tells him.

 

 

“No I don’t think I do, so explain it to me.” Hunter tells him.

 

 

“What happens when she decided she wants kids? You can’t give them to her. She’s going to have to spend all her life scared of a condom breaking, or if this cold is going to be the one that manages to do what pneumonia didn’t do the last time. You expect her to be able to handle that with the life she’s had? You’re both kidding yourselves, and I’m not going to sit here and tell you I approve of this when Daphne doesn’t have a fucking clue what it’s like to be on the other side of it.” Michael tells us, and walks out to get Jenny.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

BEN

 

 

I get up and go to stop Michael before he loses Hunter with that speech. It just shows me how little Michael talked to me about his fears. I get outside to see him staring at Justin running around with Gus and Jenny. 

 

 

“It’s like no one sees what I can.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“They aren’t you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Hunter needs someone who can understand that there are limits to what he can give them. I don’t want him to end up alone.” He tells me.

 

 

“If they don’t make it, it’s not going to be the end of the world for Hunter. He could have used you telling him for once, that you’re happy for him, not acting like he should let life pass him by.” I tell him.

 

 

“It doesn’t seem to matter what I think, he told everyone but me.” He tells me.

 

 

“You didn’t help him want to confide in you by treating him like a disease.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just think they need to see what I know and not put themselves through years of being together before they figure it out.” Michael tells me.

 

 

“I agree, if I had known how you felt I would have saved myself from loving you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I didn’t mean us.” He tells me.

 

 

“What else could explain that great exit speech?” I ask him, walking away.

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

Deb of course went into mother mode and told Hunter not to let what Michael said change anything for them. I think Daphne wasn’t willing to sit there any longer.

 

 

“Michael said a lot of things that he shouldn’t have said. I can’t listen to someone who continues to fuck up his life tell me how I should view my relationship.” Daphne tells her.

 

 

“He’s just had a lot to deal with.” Deb tries.

 

 

“Which starts with you making excuses for his behavior.” Mel tells her.

 

 

 

 

“I just don’t want you all ganging up on him.” She tells us.

 

 

“Do you want to know why we all showed up this weekend?” I ask Deb.

 

 

“I was hoping it was because everyone wanted to get together.” Deb tells me.

 

 

“We wanted to show our support to Daphne and Hunter. We were sure that Michael would disapprove of it. I hate to say it, but we were right.” I tell her.

 

 

“Brian, he’s losing everything. He needs his friends.” Deb tells us.

 

 

“None of have gone anywhere, but he’s pushing everyone away.” Mel tells her.

 

 

“Deb, he has to figure this out on his own.” Carl tells her.

 

 

“I know, it’s just that I’m his mother and I hate seeing him hurt.” She tells Carl.

 

 

“Unless he can see that moving isn’t us against him, he’s going to be hurt. You managed to see it.” Mel tells her.

 

 

“It wasn’t easy for me, but I didn’t want to alienate you and Lindsay.” Deb tells her.

 

 

“So you told them you thought it was okay.” Michael scowls.

 

 

“I told them that I just wanted reassurances that they’d bring Jenny and Gus to visit. They have the right to make their own decisions.” Deb tells him.

 

 

“Everyone has that right.” Hunter tells him, pulling Daphne with him and leaving the house.

 

 

“Michael, go tell him that you were wrong to say what you said.” Blake tells him.

 

 

“I’m not, so I don’t see the reason to act like all of you.” He tells us.

 

 

“You mean like when we all supported you and Ben. I guess we should have tried harder to keep Ben from spending years with you.” Emmett tells him.

 

 

“At least Ben and I were adults, they are too young to understand what they are doing.” He tells us.

 

 

“Daphne’s Justin’s age.” Mel tells him.

 

 

“And if we had been adults, we would have kept him and Brian from the shit they put each other through.” Michael tells everyone.

 

 

“We are still together, and without any help from you.” I tell him.

 

 

“You really believe that don’t you? I’m the one who got stuck in the middle when you were pushing Justin away. He needed you to show him he was more than a fuck toy but no, you start some juvenile contest to prove to the fucking world that Brian Kinney is still the top of the dung heap. Like I said, you made him walk away by being you.” He tells Brian.

 

 

“So why did Ben walk away, if you're so perfect?” I ask him. “No answer? Wow, Mikey finally doesn’t have an answer for something. Shit, we need to write this down in a history book. You don’t get to rub my mistakes in my face until you admit to yours.” I tell him.

 

 

“ENOUGH, everyone calm down and sit down.” Carl tells us.

 

 

Hell, even I know better than to ignore Carl. Even Michael seems to know this was not the time to test it.

 

 

CARL

 

 

Do none of them see they are tearing each other apart in a way they can’t fix if this continues? I took a breath before I finally tell them all what I’ve seen from the years of watching them.

 

 

“When I met you boys and girls, because to me that’s what you all were. I didn’t understand your lives, but as time went on I was able to see like any straight relationship, each of you found people to love and have a family with. You also made a family, because unlike straight people, you had to look for acceptance. Each one of you found your way into the family you created.” I tell them.  

 

 

“Instead of blaming the world for everything going crazy in your life, look at what you did to cause it. Don’t ruin the family you created out of love because you can’t see they don’t want the things you do. Brian, Justin, Mel, and Lindsay get to make decisions for themselves that really don’t have anything to do with you, except that they make sure Jenny sees you. It’s all you should be worried about. Instead you treat it like a campaign to push everyone out of your life. Instead of telling your son you’re worried but will stand behind him, you tell him your fears. Even Ben seemed surprised by what you said, but I noticed Brian didn’t, why is that Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“He told me when Vic died, that he felt surrounded by death. Then outed Justin for knowing something that I should have told Justin.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“You married Ben even though you felt that way, and didn’t tell your husband? Are you even seeing where your mistakes were through all this?” I ask him.

 

 

“Brian hid things and you’re only yelling at me.” He tells me, pouting.

 

 

“I don’t see the reason Brian needs me to say anything. He manages his life without all of us.” I tell him.

 

 

“What about Mel and Lindsay?” He tells me grasping.

 

 

“What about them? They seem to be happy too, and so do Ted and Emmett. The only person who I’m worried about is you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why do you even care?” Michael asks me.

 

 

“You're going to be my stepson. I want anything that keeps your mother from having to worry about you. You need to stop trying to interfere with everyone’s life to avoid what’s wrong with yours.” I tell him.

 

 

“I need to get Jenny.” Was the only thing he said.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

I walked outside and sat next to Lindsay. Jenny was having fun and I didn’t want to upset her by leaving until she was ready.

 

 

“She really likes Justin.” I say just to have something to say.

 

 

“She loves you, Michael.” Lindsay tells me in a soft voice.

 

 

“Why didn’t you want me to be the father again?” I ask her.

 

 

“The whole fiasco that happened just didn’t leave you looking like a great candidate. Michael, it’s not like you really want more kids do you?” She asks me.

 

 

“No, but it would have been nice to have been asked.” I tell her.

 

 

“Everything isn’t about you, it’s half the problem you have, you think we should all want what you want. It doesn’t matter now anyway, we already had it done.” She tells me.

 

 

“I wish Justin luck with you two, who knows, maybe he’ll understand what I didn’t.” I tell her.

 

 

“What’s that?” She asks sighing.

 

 

“You and Mel don’t keep your promises, but then, neither does Brian.” I tell her

 

 

“He never promised you more than friendship.” She tells me.

 

 

“He promised to be my friend, but lately I haven’t seen much of it.” I tell her.

 

 

“You expected him to help you with Justin?” She asks me.

 

 

“I expected him to ‘always have and always will’.” I tell her.

 

 

“He said that when he didn’t see anyone in his future Michael, you can’t hold him to a promise like that when you ran off and started your own life.” She tells me.

 

 

“He was at least here where I could still talk to him.” I tell her.

 

 

“Was he? Because Michael you and I never talk to him, but at him. I found out that if I waited, my friend would call if he needed me. It felt like the first time that he and I really talked to each other. He wasn’t asking for anything but to for me to listen, because he was about to tell the man he loves something that could hurt them. I wanted to tell him what to do, because it’s human nature, but instead I offered advice that either he could listen to or not. It’s the difference in how he dealt with us. He offered an opinion but in the end he left it up to us to decide. If you want to keep him as a friend you need to stop thinking that your answers are the only answers.” She tells me.

 

 

“I need to get Jenny, I’ll see you at the airport.” I tell her.

 

 

“Have a good time with her.” Lindsay tells me.

 

 

Jenny and I go through the side to the front to get my car. I see Ben talking to Hunter.

 

 

“Michael, go tell him you love him, because he still loves you, you asshole.” Daphne whispers in my ear.

 

 

“Just don’t hurt him when you realize you need more.” I tell her.

 

 

“I’m not the one hurting him right now, so it’s your turn.” She tells me.

 

 

I hand her Jenny and walk to Hunter who looks at me with a hurt expression on his face.

 

 

“I love you kiddo.” Ben tells him and walks over to Daphne.

 

 

“What?” Hunter asks me.

 

 

“I’m sorry for not making this night easier.” I tell him.

 

 

“You always want to make it harder by not telling the person you should have that you needed help to deal with your fears.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t think Ben cares anymore.” I tell him.

 

 

“Not if you keep giving up without a fight, he’s not going to find any reason to stay for you.” He tells me.

 

 

“When did you become the grown up in this relationship?” I ask him, smiling.

 

 

“I hate to say it, but I think I always have been.” He tells me.

 

 

“I shouldn’t have said what I did. If you love her than that’s all I need to know. Well, maybe one other thing.” I tell him

 

“We are being careful.” I tell him.

 

 

“I was just wondering how you managed to land her.” I tell him, snickering.

 

 

“She couldn’t resist me, I’m probably the only not gay man she knows.” He jokes.

 

 

“Yeah, I could see.” I tell him.

 

 

Hunter ran off after Daphne, and Ben brought me Jenny, he helped me get her into the car.

 

 

“Would fighting for you have made a difference?” I ask him.

 

 

“It would have showed that you cared.” He tells me.

 

 

“I do, I just don’t know how to change everything about me.” I tell him.

 

 

“I want the guy who wouldn’t give me the basketball unless I agreed to a date.” He tells me and walks to his car.


Chapter 28 by starlight

BRIAN

 

 

Justin took off with Gus to go eat artery cloggers and then meet up to tell Mel all about waterbirth. Needless to say, I stayed home. I figured it was a good time for Ted and I to talk about the changes in my plans for New York. Ted came up and we started working on the list I need him and Cynthia to complete in the next few months. Then Ted suggested I consider Kenny for a position in New York. 

 

 

“Why would I move on of my best execs with me?” I ask him.

 

 

“His wife wants to move closer to their families. I also think he’s done all he can here and needs a chance to win accounts in bigger markets.” He tells me.

 

 

“I wouldn’t mind, because he thinks like I do, but without him, you and Cynthia are going to have to push the other execs to start earning their paychecks. Small accounts are fine if they want Pittsburgh to become a branch and not grow with Kinnetik.” I tell Ted.

 

 

“Cynthia already has a meeting set up to congratulate Kenny on doing what it took to be considered for the new headquarters.” Ted tells me.

 

 

“What makes you think it’s the new headquarters, I could just like the space.” I tell him smirking.

 

 

“It could be the offices you set up for both Cynthia and I. Want to explain that?” Ted asks me.

 

 

“I can’t have you two just using available space, and you should expect that, since you’re CFO.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just figured that when Blake and I want to come see an Opera, I’ll pretend it’s business.” He tells me smirking.

 

 

My buzzer rang and a voice I didn’t want to hear came over the speaker.

 

 

“Brian, can you let me in?” Michael yells.

 

 

“Are we done?” I ask Ted.

 

 

“I have the second pile of paperwork, so sure.” He tells me, putting it away.

 

 

I buzz Michael in, even though I’d rather not have another heart to heart about how nobody thinks about Mikey.

 

 

“Hey, Ma is going to keep Jenny tonight for me. I was hoping that everyone would want to go out tonight.” He tells us.

 

 

“Michael, regardless of Justin trying to talk sense in you, he really doesn’t mean he’s forgiven you.” I tell him.

 

 

“I just want us to all go out one night without all the bullshit.” He tells us.

 

 

“Brian, I found a buyer for the loft.” Jen comes in, not seeing Michael.

 

 

“Why are you selling the loft?” Michael asks, looking horrified.

 

 

“Is this a bad time?” Jen asks, not looking at Michael.

 

 

“You can’t sell the loft, it’s… it’s…” Michael seems to be at a loss for words.

 

 

“I no longer need it with my new house and Justin’s house here.” I tell him.

 

 

“Then sell Justin’s house and keep this.” Michael tells me, like it’s his decision.

 

 

“Brian, the buyer wants to see the loft Monday. I just wanted you to know.” Jen tells him, turning to leave because I don’t think Jen is ready to deal with Michael.

 

 

“I can’t believe you're helping Brian move Justin away from you.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“Brian, call me when you have time.” Jen tells me, without saying anything to Michael.

 

 

“I guess Justin never being home is normal to you.” Michael spits out.

 

 

Ted grabbed me but seemed to forget Jen in all of this. I wanted to toss Michael to the lioness. Jen’s held back on Michael so far, but you know you just don’t keep poking an angry animal and not expect to get mauled.

 

 

“Michael, do not think you have the right to tell me ANYTHING about my son.” Jen speaking slowly should have alerted Michael to shut his mouth.

 

 

“I just think someone should point out that selling the loft, which is part of Brian, doesn’t make any sense.” He tells us. 

 

 

“It just four walls and a roof, not part of Brian.” She tells him. 

 

 

“It’s the place Brian bought to show that he made it in the world. Everything in this loft represents a part of Brian. He can’t sell who he is, to become something he never wanted.” Michael tells us hysterically.

 

 

“I can and I am selling it, because it doesn’t define me.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m not going to stand by while you leave everything you love behind. You're acting like you and Justin are married, when you're not.” He tells me.

 

 

“They are married in the way they want to be.” Ted tells him.

 

 

“Why would it matter to you Michael?” Jen asks him.

 

 

“lt’s a mistake. One that he’ll regret, like following Justin was a mistake.” Michael should have seen it coming, since Deb does it so often

 

 

“I think Brian’s mistake was staying friends with you when you never understood that it didn’t give you ownership over everything he does. You call yourself friends with Brian, but then say things that I still have nightmares about. And you’re still run around calling all of them your friends while acting like everything they do has something to do with you. Instead of being ashamed of yourself, you act like everyone should overlook anything you do and pat you on the head saying, “It’s just Michael being Michael.’ Michael take a look at your life, you barely managed to keep Hunter from writing you off, and Ben, if he’s smart should leave you lying on the ground.” She tells him with tears in her eyes.

 

 

“Jen, calm down.” I tell her quietly, as I turn her away from Michael.

 

 

“I can’t. I feel like everyone is just ignoring the fact that Michael really doesn’t see what he said as wrong.” She tells me.

 

 

“Jen, no one is ignoring it, we are ignoring Michael.” I tell her.

 

 

“Jen, I know I shouldn’t have said anything, but you need to help Brian see that getting rid of the loft isn’t what he should do. If anything, that house that he bought should go. All it represents is empty promises Brian and Justin made to each other.” Michael tells her.

 

 

“So because I was able to let Justin go, with the promises we made to each other, instead of standing around saying words that have less meaning than your marriage in Canada, I didn’t make a promise to Justin. We didn’t need a fake marriage to know we would stay together. How together do we fucking need to be for it to get through to you that I never made a promise to him that I didn’t keep.” I tell him, angry that somehow all he sees me not keeping my word to Justin.

 

 

“My marriage was at least a show that Ben and I didn’t need other people in our lives. It gives meaning when you say the words that tie you together.” He tells me, like he and Ben aren’t split up.

 

 

“We didn’t need to say them for Justin and me to change the things we were ready to change when we were ready for them. Monogamy is dependent on how you view it, just because Justin and I were both still playing around, to us monogamy meant that no one comes between us emotionally. We might have decided to stop being with other people but only because we were ready for it, not so that YOU could fucking approve of us.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael, go home and tell your husband your opinions, because my sons don’t need them. Do not even think you have any right to talk to me. I view you as barely a step up from Christopher Hobbs since you said what you did about Justin.” She tells him and leaves.

 

 

“Go home Michael, think of it as if David told you.” I tell him.

 

 

Michael walked out the door and took the stairs after he heard Jen shut the downstairs door. Ted sat back down and started questioning me about colors for the walls that were available for Kinnetik NY. You know, Ted seems to know business is the only thing I care about.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

I went to Ma’s to pick up Jenny and tell her that I’d keep her tonight. I called Emmett to see if he wanted to hang out and he told me that he was busy tonight too. I just wanted one night where no one was pissed at me. I walk in and Ma must have invited someone over, because I see a guy sitting at the table talking to her. I walk into the kitchen and it’s Alex Wilder, I didn’t even know Ma knew him.

 

 

“Hey Michael why not sit down and I’ll get you some lunch.” Ma tells me.

 

 

“Where’s Jenny?” I ask her.

 

 

 “She taking a nap. She was tired from playing outside with Carl. You know Alex don’t you?” She asks as she pushes me in a seat.

 

 

“How are you doing Michael?” Alex asks me.

 

 

“I’m having some problems, but then who doesn’t?” I tell him.

 

 

“Your mom said you and Ben broke up.” He tell me.

 

 

“He says I don’t talk about anything, which is the opposite of what everyone else thinks.” I tell him.

 

 

“What did he want you to talk about?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Blake told me it’s irrational fear, but it’s just me, I worry.” I tell him.

 

 

“Maybe you can share it with me and we could see why Blake thinks that?” He asks me.

 

 

“Ben and Hunter are not going to outlive me, and I wanted my friends to be there so I wouldn’t be alone.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael, HIV isn’t the death sentence it was years ago. Plenty of people live with it and lead long lives. You have just as good a chance at dying before them. More people die in accidents than from HIV everyday. They could be alone just as easily.” He tells me.

 

 

“I guess, but I wanted my friends to stay here and they all want to change everything about their lives. I did it once and I know it’s not the answer to anything.” I tell him.

 

 

“How does what you did have anything to do with how it works for others?” He asked me.

 

 

“My friends need me to see what they won’t. Mel convinced Justin to have a baby with her. Justin really loves kids, and I think if he and Brian had found another way he wouldn’t end up regretting what Mel and Lindsay will do.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which is?” He asks me.

 

 

“They will tell you what you want to hear, but then tell you how it’s going to be.” I tell him.

 

 

“So they’ve kept you out of your daughter’s life?” He asks me.

 

 

“No, but they made it seem like she would have all of us, and then Mel tells me that I can see Jenny when she’s five. I won’t have Jenny growing up without a father.” I tell him.

 

 

“She isn’t, is she?” He asks me.

 

 

“No, but they made me fight to even have a say in her life.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael…” Ma stops when Alex shakes his head.

 

 

“Wait, why are you here?” I ask him.

 

 

“Your family is worried about how you're isolating yourself. I was asked to see if maybe you and I could talk and help you see that what you're doing.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t need a shrink.” I glare at Ma.

 

 

“I think you need someone to listen that can be impartial. I don’t have anything invested in your friends, so I can listen and maybe together we can see where your thought process needs an outsider’s viewpoint. Either way I’m offering you an ear to talk to.” He tells me, handing me his card.

 

 

Ma stands in the kitchen waiting for Alex to leave. “Michael he really helped me see that I was hurting my relationship with Carl.” She tell me.

 

 

“You're seeing Alex?” I ask her.

 

 

“I needed help to stop treating everyone like they owed me an explanation. Alex gave me the chance to tell him why I felt what I felt but then helped me see that all I was doing was pushing them away. I want you to get help too, because every day you lose more friends.” She tells me.

 

 

“Daddy.” Jenny comes in, rubbing her eyes.

 

 

“Do it so Jenny isn’t the only one you have left.” Ma tells me.

 

 

“I’ll think about it.” I tell her and pick Jenny up to go.


Chapter 29 by starlight

MEL 

 

 

I went to see Ben, because I wanted him to know that regardless of what goes on with Michael, I still want him in Jenny’s life. I guess I was also curious if he was really breaking up with Michael. What I didn't expect was for Jen to be with Ben.

 

 

“Mel, it's nice to see you.” Jen tells me. 

 

 

“I didn’t expect to see you here.” I tell her while she hugged me.

 

 

“Ben wanted to see what was available to rent.” She tells me. 

 

 

“So are you really breaking up for good?” I ask him. 

 

 

“I'll talk to Brian about what we discussed and get back to you Ben.” Jen tells him.

 

 

“I didn’t mean to run you off.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I had plans with Justin, and I just can't be objective about Michael.” She tells me. 

 

 

“I understand, but if you want to stay I'll keep my mouth shut.” I tell her. 

 

 

“It's fine, tell Lindsay I said hi. In case Justin forgot in his baby craze, you girls are invited to lunch at my house before you leave tomorrow.” She tells me. 

 

 

“We'll be there.” I tell her as she leaves.

 

 

“You and Jen seem to be getting along well, she’s really excited about the baby.” He tells me.

 

 

“It’s nice to have someone who doesn’t see it the way Deb did. Deb’s been getting better though. I think she finally sees that we just needed to not be around things that triggered our problems.” I tell him.

 

 

“Brian was one of those things, and you’re moving closer to him.” Ben points out.

 

 

“Lindsay really sees where she did things wrong, and their relationship has changed. She comes to me when she needs someone to listen. She and Brian are more like sister and brother now, and in a way my jealousy didn’t help either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I had a small issue with that, but Brian wasn’t the one making Michael do things.” He tells me.

 

 

“You can tell me to mind my own business, but are you really done with Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“I don’t really have an answer for that. I know that I still love him, but unless there are some major changes, it’s useless to even try.” He tells me.

 

 

“As much as he irritates me, I hate that it’s getting like this for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“He’s right that I married him knowing what he was like, but it was never this bad before. I’ve made mistakes, but unlike Michael I owned up to them. I think it’s the reason he started giving you a hard time about Jenny, because he won’t face our problems.” He tells me.

 

 

“Lindsay was actually the one who told me that instead of getting pissed, give him alternatives. When he calls to complain about visitations, I just offer to meet him halfway. It seems to stop him from giving me reasons why this can’t work.” I tell him.

 

 

“I keep trying to think of reasons Michael and I could work this out. I just don’t think Michael realizes what he said to Hunter was our problem, and not Hunter’s.” I tell her.

 

 

“I also came to tell you if you want to see Jenny you only need to call or even come visit.” I tell him.

 

 

“Thank you, I would miss her if this caused me to lose her too.” He tells me.

 

 

“She’s confused, but it’s not something we can explain to her easily. She thinks if she sees Michael that you're supposed to be there too. I was thinking and I wanted to see what you thought about us putting you down as one of her guardians, if we ever needed that.” I tell him.

 

 

“You really want that?” He asks me.

 

 

“I want all my kids to have their parents in their life.” I tell him.

 

 

“Than I would be happy to be whatever you want me to be for Jenny.” He tells me, smiling.

 

 

“I know he’s a pain in the ass, but if Lindsay and I can get past the things we did, maybe you can too.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m just hoping Jen’s idea doesn’t send Michael into a tailspin.” I tell her.

 

 

“What?” I ask.

 

 

“The people who want to look at the loft aren’t moving to the area for a few months, so she said she would see if Brian would let me rent it until then. It makes it easier for me. Right now it’s hard to look for a place and work.” He tells me.

 

 

“Are you still helping Michael with the house?” I ask him.

 

 

“For now. But if we end it, than he’s going to have to buy me out or sell it.” He tells me, depressed.

 

 

“Ben, you need to get out and have some fun. Lindsay and I are meeting Ted, Blake, Emmett, and Drew for dinner, why not come? I’ll makes sure everyone knows not to talk about Michael.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t want it to be awkward.” He tells me.

 

 

“It won’t be, you’re just as much our friend as Michael is.” I tell him.

 

 

“It would be nice to just hang out without thinking about it.” He tells me.

 

 

I let him know the restaurant and offered to pick him up. I remember what this was like, and hated feeling like I was an outsider to people who were my friends. Ben is really the best part of Michael and Ben, of course I most likely think that because Michael’s being an asshole.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

Gus, my partner in crime, helped me get the my books past Brian. I wanted to order in and watch movies tonight with Gus. Emmett called, but Brian really wanted it to just be us for a while. Then of course Emmett tells me that Ted told him that Michael wasn’t happy about Brian selling the loft. My response was “What?”, it seems that Mr Kinney forgot to mention that to me. Gus was on the phone talking to Megan, who I swear must be the only girl on earth, the way Gus talks. I figured it was time to bring up why I seem to be the last one to hear the loft is getting sold.

 

 

“So you know that nothing is sacred, want to tell me about selling the loft?” I ask him.

 

 

“Did I forget to mention that to you? I’m sure I meant to tell you, but well, you’ve been so busy trying to understand the workings of the womb that I must have forgotten to tell you.” He’s such a smart ass.

 

 

“I thought you would have to come here once in awhile. So I assumed that you were keeping it.” I tell him.

 

 

“I have a house, why keep this?” He grabbed a magazine and started flipping through it.

 

 

“I thought you were selling it?” I ask, because we talked about this.

 

 

“Promise that after I say this you’ll check to make sure I didn’t grow a twat? I couldn’t, it’s something that I bought for you. We might never live there permanently, but maybe one of our kids will.” He tells me biting his lip.

 

 

“That’s really kind of sweet, and really a strange reason to keep an empty house.” I tell him.

 

 

“It’s not empty.” He mumbles.

 

 

“One chair does not make it full either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I ordered stuff. You know that floor really sucked.” He gets up and starts walking off.

 

 

“No you don’t. What did you order for the house?” I ask him.

 

 

“A bed and things, it was a while ago.” He tells me, shrugging.

 

 

“You had the house decorated didn’t you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Justin, at the time I wanted everything ready for us. So I made sure it would be ready for us. I know you told me you see it differently, but I see it as the place that if marriage is legalized we get married in.” He tells me.

 

 

“You really did just grow a twat.” I tell him, laughing as he chases me around the loft.

 

 

“If my son wasn’t here you be swallowing those words.” He tells me.

 

 

“Eating.” I tell him headed to the refrigerator.

 

 

“You seem to be mistaking twat and dick, could it possibly have anything to do with this.” He asks.

 

 

I turn and want to groan. I wanted to give Mel a gift, for well, allowing my swimmers in her canal. It’s not like I planned to use the stuff in it.

 

 

Brian holds up the basket that the lady at the Maternity store insisted every pregnant woman needed.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

Jenny and I were walking out of the restaurant and bumped into Emmett. Emmett smiles and tried to pass me without talking.

 

 

“Are you and Drew eating here tonight?” I ask him.

 

 

“We thought we’d try it.” He tells me looking behind him.

 

 

“Jenny and I thought we’d try it to, you should have called and we could have waited for you.” I tell him.

 

 

“It was spur of the moment.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“We could stay for a few minutes.” I tell him.

 

 

“Emmett, Mel told me that she and Lindsay are bringing Ben.” Ted mumbles as he looks at his phone.

 

 

“Michael.” Emmett yells, as I pick Jenny up and start walking away.

 

 

“Michael, stop.” Emmett chases after me.

 

 

I stop and turn to see what could have made them invite everyone but me. Emmett rubs his face and then looks at me.

 

 

“Ted and I wanted to do a dinner for Mel getting the procedure done. I didn’t think having you and Mel in the same place was a good idea when all you do is argue with her. We wanted to do something nice for Mel.” He tells me.

 

 

“Since I’m the enemy for wanting my daughter closer, no one invited me.” I tell him.

 

 

“We didn’t invite you because you're doing your damndest to push everyone away.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Just go celebrate with your friends.” I tell him.

 

 

I get us in the car and Emmett looked at me, but didn’t say anything. He walked off and I sat and watched them all walk in the restaurant with Ben. I pulled out my wallet and looked at the card Alex gave me. It couldn’t hurt to go to one appointment. It’s not like I have anyone else to talk to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

Jen came by to see if I would consider letting Ben rent my loft for a few months. Apparently Zen Ben needs a place that isn't permanent, guess he's still holding onto the marriage. I told her that he could just use it, it's not like I'm going to need it. I figured I’d check on Ben before going to lunch, it's going to be a while before I can come back to Pittsburgh. I stopped by his office where he was grading papers.

 

 

“Want some company?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Why not, you're the only one who isn't checking on me.” He tells me.

 

 

“Jen stopped by and asked about you staying in the loft. It's fine if you want to use it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“It's just so that I have time to decide if I'm making the right decision.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Take it from me, you either stay or go. Time is just an excuse.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Deb’s trying to get Michael to see Alex Wilder.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's still him talking to someone other than you.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael needs someone that isn’t part of the group to listen to him. He’s isolating himself from people everyday and even if we don’t get back together, I care what happens to him. Last night didn’t help either.” He tells me.

 

 

“I know, Emmett called, worried about Michael. He feels horrible about the way it looked, like they didn’t include him in an outing. Like I told Emmett, Michael wouldn’t have been there to celebrate, so it was better not to include him. He needs to see that acting the way he has been is causing his friends to not want him at their events. You don’t need to feel bad either.” I tell him.

 

 

“I don’t feel bad about it, I just wish he would wake up and see what he’s doing.” He tells me.

 

 

“If Mel and Lindsay could do it, there’s always hope for Michael. I hope you understand that I can’t help him with this.” I tell him.

 

 

“You shouldn’t have to help him with anything, it’s time he see how the rest of the world deals with things.” He tells me.

 

 

“Then enjoy my loft and call if you have any questions.” I tell him.

 

 

“I have one.” He tells me. “Was there ever a time you thought about Michael as anything more?” He asks.

 

 

“No. It just wasn’t there for me. I never really wanted more, until Justin. Michael knows that, so you don’t have to worry about it.” I tell him.

 

 

“I really always wondered with the way you two could be sometimes.” He tells me.

 

 

“I think a lot of people thought the same thing. It’s either there or it isn’t. He never made me want to change anything about my life. If Justin hadn’t shown up, Michael would still be just my friend.” I tell him.

 

 

“I wish he could be just your friend, or anyone's.” He tells me.

 

 

I get up and leave, I know Michael well enough to know that if he really wanted something he would spend years waiting for it to happen. 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

Alex told me he could see me Monday morning. I dropped Jenny off last night and came home to Hunter packing a bag. He told me that he just needed space and that Daphne was offering her place for a while. I looked around my house and wondered if it was ever going to be the house that my family would live in again.

 

 

When I got to Alex’s office I waited outside until it was time for my appointment. I didn’t want to sit around with other people. I was shown in and sat in the chair in front of his desk. Alex came in and closed the door.

 

 

“Michael, let’s sit over here on the couches.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t want to lay down.” I told him.

 

 

“You can sit, lay down or pace if you need to, I just like to be comfortable, not sitting at my desk like I’m an authority figure.” He tell me.

 

 

I sat on the couch and started looking around. Alex grabbed a pad and sat in front of me.

 

 

“So what are you wanting to get out of therapy?” He asks me.

 

 

“I thought you would just help me with things everyone else thinks are problems.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I like to set goals so you can see progress, or that things are not progressing. You need to remember that I might know who you're talking about, but not the individual issues associated with each person. We can start with one friend and work our way through the cause and I want you to tell me what effect it had on each relationship. It's really up to you how we spend each session. “ He tells me. 

 

 

“It all started with Brian moving away.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Did he cut off contact with you?” He asks me. 

 

 

“No. It's just that from there it's like everything I did was a problem for everyone.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Give me an example.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It had been a week since he moved and I wanted all of us to see the kids at the same time. I changed my plans to be there when Brian and Justin were, and Lindsay wasn’t happy about it.” I tell him. 

 

 

“What was she upset about?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I showed up without telling her I was coming. Which she knew anyway, because someone had told her. So then, she turns around and makes plans so that Ben and I were left waiting around all day. Ben wasn’t happy about it, but how was I supposed to know Lindsay would get snippy about it?” I tell him. 

“Have you ever showed up without checking if they wanted more company before?” He asks me. 

 

 

“I threw them an anniversary party once as a surprise, but instead I find out they broke up without telling me.” I tell him. 

 

 

“So from past experience you saw that doing things without asking could cause issues.” He tells me. 

 

 

“If they had told me about breaking up, it wouldn't have happened.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Why did they need to tell you a personal matter?” He asks me. 

 

 

“Jenny’s my child, so I felt if it affects my daughter, I should know.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Were they neglecting Jenny?” He asks me.

 

 

“No, but I didn’t want Jenny being raised by a single mother.” I tell him.

 

 

“Like you were. Your mother gave me permission to tell you that it really hurt her to hear that you feel single mothers shouldn’t raise children.” He tells me.

 

 

“I never meant it to sound like I meant her. She just seemed to take it that way.” He tells me.

 

 

“She was a single mother raising you. I agree that children do better in a home with both parents but it’s just not always possible. Was there something about your upbringing that made you view it that way?” He asks me.

 

 

“It was just that Ma can be, well Ma. She did things that were embarrassing, but I know she meant well. It would have been nice to have someone else to teach me things other than Ma.” I tell him.

 

 

“What do you think the other person could have taught you?” He asks me.

 

 

“I don’t know, just like guy stuff.” I tell him.

 

 

“She gave you love, food, and shelter, that’s really some of the biggest things that any parent can do.” He tell me.

 

 

“I wanted that for Jenny too.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which she gets with her mother, doesn’t she?” He asks me.

 

 

“Yes, but they came to me for a child and made it sound like they were raising it together. Which they didn’t for a while.” I tell him.

 

 

“This was when you sued for custody?” He asks me.

 

 

“I thought that with the house we just bought and the fact that Ben and I were married, that it was a better life than what Mel would be providing. It wasn’t until Brian hired Lindsay a lawyer that I was suddenly a pornographer, living with two HIV positive people that my case looked bad. Lindsay gets an idea then we all pay for it.” He tells me.

 

 

“She was fighting for her rights to Jenny?” He asks me.

 

 

“She thought that she needed to make everyone look bad but her.” I tell him.

 

 

“You were happy to have her as one of the mothers at first, weren’t you?” He asks me.

 

 

“I guess, but in a way, Lindsay seems to cause a lot of problems.” I tell him. 

 

 

“How so?” He asks me.

 

 

“She’s the one that convinced Justin and Brian that Justin had to be in New York. I’m sure she’s probably the one that wants to move to New York instead of Mel.” I tell him.

 

 

“How is she causing your problems?” He asks me.

 

 

“If Justin had stayed here than everyone would have come back here. I wonder if Mel realizes that she’s giving up everything to follow Lindsay around.” I tell him.

 

 

“Spouses usually do what’s best for the other.” He tell me.

 

 

“I wouldn’t move if Ben wanted to. I think it’s stupid to give up stability for the unknown.” I tell him.

 

 

“Most people see it as moving forward to new and hopefully better things. It doesn’t always work, but in a lot of cases it does.” He tell me.

 

 

“They could all just stay here and then we’d all be like we were.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which is something you need to accept, that as we grow, our lives will change. When you got married didn’t you have to change some things in your life?” He ask me.

 

 

“I moved to a house Ben wanted and made friends with the people around us. Ben seemed to like getting away from the club scene.” I tell him.

 

 

“How did you feel about that?” He asks me.

 

 

“I liked the neighborhood and the way life was different there. It’s just that my friends were still into the club scene and Brian was giving me a hard time about it.” I tell him.

 

 

“How was he giving you a hard time?” He asks me.

 

 

“He threw a superhero theme night and I didn’t show up because I had Jenny that night. I sort of told him I would go if he came to dinner at my house. He came, and ended up saying shit that made me regret inviting him, so in a way not showing up was my way of letting him know that I wasn’t happy about what he did.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael, I want you to think of what you did to cause problems. When you answer, you need to answer starting with, ‘One of the reasons my friendships are strained is because I’ then fill in the rest of the sentence.” He tells me.

 

 

“One of the reasons my friendships are strained is because I... Why do you want me to say it that way?” I ask him.

 

 

“So far I’ve heard all about the reasons you feel your friends are the problem, but not once have you told me what you see as your issues. We need to work together to get your issues under control.” He tell me.

 

 

“I just don’t really know how to answer that, other than Ben leaving because he thinks I’m avoiding tell him things. I don’t tell him because he can’t help what bothers me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which is what?” Alex asks me

 

 

“That because he’s HIV positive he will probably leave me alone one day.” I answer.

 

 

“Why did you marry him if HIV is an issue for you?” He asks me.

 

 

“It’s not. Vic lived with it and I know that it’s just a horrible disease. I always thought that if something were to happen to Ben, than I would have my friends to help me through it.” I tell him.   

 

 

“They could still be there for you even if they don’t live here.” He tells me.

 

 

“Maybe, but I can’t just go to them.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why not, planes, trains, cars, and buses go anywhere you want to go?” He tells me.

 

 

“It’s just not the same.” I tell him.

 

 

“Our time is up, but I want you to think about that sentence and see if you could come up with a way to complete it.” He tell me.

 

 

I get up and wonder why he wants me find something to blame myself for, it’s not my fault everyone is acting like I did something wrong.    


Chapter 31 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

 

I picked up my phone and dialed Lindsay because I can't believe this email. Since coming back from Pittsburgh, Michael has been emailing each of us after his sessions with his views on what we could do to help him. For the last two months he mostly sent them to Brian, who just deleted them as they came in. I guess when Brian wouldn’t respond it was my turn.

 

 

“So, Michael thinks that I need to start therapy, because I'm ruining Rage by not wanting to talk to him about the panels.” I tell her. 

 

 

“I'm sure there's a comic therapist out there you could see.” She tells me, laughing.

 

 

“He wanted me to draw Zephyr being left to freeze in a jungle. It was so ridiculous that I couldn’t draw it. I'm starting to question why I even do this anymore.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Are you even making enough to make it worth putting your time into it?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It makes enough to help with small things. It's not like I need the money. It's just hard to let go of something I created.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Then buy him out, it's not like it isn't really your and Brian’s story.” She tells me. 

 

 

“He'll never agree to it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Is it Rage or just doing a comic you like?” She asks me. 

 

 

“I like the different medium I use.” I tell her. 

 

 

“Have you ever thought of doing one that's your creation?” She asks me. 

 

 

“It would be nice to not have it be about Brian and I. Michael tends to almost make us too perfect, then puts us in situations that mirror our relationship. To me, a character having flaws would be more interesting.” I tell her, getting excited like I was when I started Rage.

 

 

“You would have more control over the plot.” She tells me. 

 

 

“It's something to think about, but what about Rage? Michael still needs someone to draw it.” I tell her. 

 

 

“There are people at PIFA he could hire.” She tells me. 

 

 

“Maybe it’s time for me to tell Michael to look into it. I just know somehow it’s going to cause him to act like it’s another slight against him.” I tell her.

 

 

“He causes his own problems. Like I told Mel, he has to see what he’s doing. We’ve always made it too easy for him to bother us.” She tells me.

 

 

“Tell Mama that Brian and I are coming for the ultrasound.” I tell her.

 

 

“You’ve only sent her a few emails reminding her, Michael.” She tells me, laughing.

 

 

“I’m not that bad.” I tell her.

 

 

“At least you aren’t following her everywhere she goes. I’ll let her know. Can you hold on a minute?” She asks me.

 

 

I put my phone on speaker and start sketching. I stop when I hear her trying to calm Gus down.

 

 

“I hate her and I want to go live with Dad and Justin.” I hear Gus shouting.

 

 

“Honey, who do you hate?” Lindsay asks him.

 

 

“Megan, she told me that she wanted to break up. I don’t want to stay here.” He tells her.

 

 

“Justin, I’ll call you back.” Lindsay tells me.

 

 

“No, I want Dad and Justin to come and get me.” He yells into the phone.

 

 

“Gus, let me call your dad. Then we’ll call you back.” I tell him.

 

 

I hang up and call Brian to tell him that Gus needs him. I miss Cynthia, when I called her, she always put me through without a problem. This new girl is all about taking messages and hanging up. She hasn’t figured out that Brian doesn’t mean it when he says no calls.

 

 

I called and as usual, Alishia tells me he’s busy and she can take a message. I hang up and text his cell. It was almost an hour later when he called me back. 

 

 

“Hey sorry, I left my phone on my desk and didn’t get your text until a minute ago.” He tells me.

 

 

“Gus needs you.” I tell him, hanging up. 

 

 

I really have tried to be understanding about the hours he’s been putting in and instead of bitching at him, I just learned to hang up. When he comes home, he’s exhausted and while he’s still attentive, it’s almost like he’s not here. My phone rings and I see it’s Brian calling, and I really need to remember he’s doing all this for us.

 

 

“Can I say sorry for being a dick?” I tell him.

 

 

“Justin, I know I’ve been working all the time and as soon as everything is done, I promise it won’t be like this anymore.” He tells me.

 

 

“Gus is upset and needs you. I would deal with it but I think he needs you too.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’ll call him now and I’ll be home in an hour.” He tells me sounding tired.

 

 

“Just call Gus, I’m fine.” I tell him.

 

 

He tells me an hour and it becomes three. I honestly didn’t notice until he came in looking at me warily. I had sent Michael an email telling him about possibly looking for a new artist, because we couldn’t agree on a story line. Which of course had Michael calling to find out why I was giving up on Rage. I made the big mistake of telling him about talking to Lindsay about how he could keep Rage going, and her suggestion of looking for an artist at PIFA. Which he took as Lindsay trying to take everything from him. He then said something about Ben telling him they need to start making decisions about separating for good. I had just hung up and was looking at the ceiling. 

 

 

“Justin, I really meant to get home.” He seem to waiting for me to say something.

 

 

“You’re home.” I tell him, confused.

 

 

“Two hours later than I told you.” He tell me.

 

 

“Really, shit sorry, I was going to order dinner, but Michael acts likes it’s the end of the world that I don’t want to do Rage.” I tell him getting up to see if we have anything in the house to eat.

 

 

“You should have quit when you left Pittsburgh.” He tells me.

 

 

“I know, but now he thinks that Lindsay is the reason I want to quit.” I tell him.

 

 

“I know, after I calmed Gus down, by explaining that Megan wasn’t the only girl in the world, I then had to remind him that until school was finished he had to stay. I mean, he’s only eight, so it’s likely he’ll meet someone else who will interest him. Which turned into ‘But Justin’s the only person you fell in love with, and you told me that he’s the only one you’ll ever love’. How did I become the reason Gus thinks you only love once?” He asks me.

 

 

“You told him that?” I ask.

 

 

“It’s the truth, you are the first and only one.” He tells me.

 

 

“Then how did you know about Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“Lindsay called, telling me she was going to kill Michael. He called and told her that she didn’t need to encourage you to do anything because she’s the reason we moved away.” He tells me.

 

 

“Two months of therapy doesn’t seem to be helping him. Everything is still everyone else’s fault.” I tell Brian.

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

I sat at the diner fuming that Lindsay convinced Justin to stop doing Rage. I called Alex and he told me that we could talk about it in our next session. I called Lindsay and bitched her out for once again getting Justin to do something that he most likely didn’t want to do. I look up to see Ted coming in with Blake, I waved to get their attention and they seem to be standing there like they didn’t see the rest of my booth was empty.

 

 

“Come sit with me.” I tell them.

 

 

Blake whispers something to Ted and then leaves the diner. I guess he needed to go somewhere. Ted comes over and sits across from me.

 

 

“You won’t believe what Lindsay is up to.” I tell him.

 

 

“Do we have to do this again? You get pissed and we have to listen to you bitch the whole time.” Ted asks me.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask him.

 

 

“I’m talking about you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Lindsay talked Justin into giving up Rage.” I tell him. Can’t he see this is important?

 

 

“Michael, if Justin told you he wants to stop, he did it because it’s what he wants. Lindsay couldn’t tell him what to do.” He tells me.

 

 

“Well he didn’t seem to have a problem with working on it until he talked to her.” I tell him.

 

 

“Then you know it must be Lindsay and not you, because there isn’t any reason Justin wouldn’t want to draw your version of his relationship with Brian. Wait, I mean Rage and JT, because Michael it’s just fictional characters. Could it be that without Brian and Justin you couldn’t figure out a storyline?” He asks me.

 

 

“It’s about Zephyr and Ken too.” I tell him.

 

 

“Which reading the way Ken thinks Zephyr can do no wrong would show you it’s truly fictional. Why not try and see if you can come up with one where Zephyr loses Ken because Zephyr leaves Ken in quicksand while chasing Rage and JT.” He tells me.

 

 

“Ted, he left me, not the other way around.” I tell him.

 

 

“Is it really, because it seems like you haven’t really tried to fix anything with Ben.” He tells me.

 

 

“Alex told me that I had to see where I made mistakes before I could fix anything with Ben.” I tell him.

 

 

“Have you figured out anything yet?” He asks me.

 

 

“I haven’t talked to Ben, so he hasn’t told me.” I tell him.

 

 

“Michael you don’t have forever, Ben isn’t going to wait the way you did, for things that never happened.” He tells me.

 

 

“What can I do? I mean Alex told me that I shouldn’t attempt to work it out with Ben unless I understand what caused him to leave me.” I explain, since he doesn’t seem to understand I’m only doing what Alex told me to do.

 

 

I look out the window and see Blake talking to Hunter. I got up and walked to the door to go see my son. Hunter’s come by, but not often. When I get outside Ben is walking with some guy to Hunter. They stop and Ben hugs the guy a little too long for it to just be a friend. The guy looked at Ben the way I used to. I stood there and realized that Ben isn’t waiting for me. 

 

 

Running to my car I got in, ignoring Ted and Hunter when they called my name. I started driving and could only think of one place to go. He’s the only person I could think of that would know what to do. 

 

 

Three hours later I was sitting in front of his house and getting the courage to go to the door. I see him walking towards his house and get out of the car and wait for him to get closer. He started to walk by me without saying anything at all to me. 

 

 

“I need help.” I tell him.

 

 

“Why do you think I could help you?” He asks me.

 

 

“You're my dad.” I tell Daniel.

 

 

“Michael, Vic was your dad, I’m just someone your mother once dated.” He tells me.

 

 

“I’m losing everyone and I need you to be my father.” I tell him.

 

 

“I’m not father material, Michael. I never was, your mother knew it, and gave you what I wouldn’t have. Which I’m thankful for, but I can listen but as a friend.” He tells me.

 

 

He invites me in but it’s not like I had always thought my relationship with my father would be. He barely seems interested in listening to me. I drink the coffee he made me and then left to go home. Why couldn’t one thing be the way I wanted it to be? I sat in my car when I got home and watched the sunrise. 

 

 

“One of the reasons my relationship with Ben is strained is because I let him do all the work in the relationship.” I say out loud.

 

 

I said it, but I’m still walking into an empty house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 32 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

 

Justin left early to go see everyone in Canada. I had to stay behind and work on a campaign with Kenny. But now that it’s finished I will be free to spend time with Gus and Justin. I thought about just staying at the office tonight because it's strange to walk into my empty house. I thought about seeing if there was an earlier flight but decided to go in the morning. I pulled up in my driveway to see Michael sitting in front of the door. 

 

 

“Hey, you must have taken a wrong turn, this isn't Pittsburgh.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

 

“Brian, I'm losing everything.” He tells me. 

 

 

“Coming here isn't gaining you anything either.” I tell him. 

 

 

“Ben is seeing someone, Justin is quitting Rage, and I need you to be my friend.” He tells me. 

 

 

I open my door and let him in, telling myself ‘one more time’. Ted kept me informed about the idiotic things Michael has been saying and doing. The hard part for me is like Mel said, when you get away from it you have less tolerance for things than you used to.

 

 

“Michael, I can't solve your problems for you anymore. If you would stop and really think about things, you'd understand why you can't seem to get it together.” I tell him.

 

 

“All I've been doing is trying to figure out how my life got this out of control.” He tells me. 

 

 

“What have you come up with?” I ask him. 

 

 

“Not a lot, it seems like little things that got bigger.” He tells me. 

 

 

“It's the little things that add up, but if you work on them as they happen, they don't become bigger things. Learn to see the clues to why they happen, and you wouldn’t be running away from home.” I tell him. 

 

 

“I tried talking to Alex, but it's like I'm still where I started. I don’t get why Ma thought Alex would be able to help me.” He tells me.

 

 

“I don’t get why anybody needs therapy, but then maybe it’s because I don’t pretend things are fine, they way you seem to.” I tell him.

 

 

“I didn’t think telling Ben was going to help anything. Then you weren’t around to help me by letting me talk to you. Lindsay seems to be doing her best to get Justin away from me. Ted and Emmett are too busy planning dinner parties that don’t include me. Why does everything I do seem to be wrong?” He tells me.

“If you had talked to Ben, he could have at least tried to figure out a way for you to deal with your fears. It would have gone a long way in helping you and him stay together. You want to know what I feared with Justin? That he would leave eventually, because I wouldn’t be what he wanted. When we got back together, I realized that all he wanted was to know that he was first in my life. I couldn’t continue the way I had been going and expect different results. If you follow the same path everyday, you go to the same place. Alex can’t help you if you don’t try to look at things from other people's perspective. You want me to be there to tell you what to do, but then you aren’t solving anything, you’re just able to blame me if what you do doesn’t work. Ted and Emmett can do things without including someone who wouldn’t be happy with why they were celebrating. Justin has never done something because anyone told him to, so Lindsay isn’t the reason he wants to quit. If everything you do seems wrong, it’s because it is. Why aren’t you at the loft talking to Ben, instead of here talking to me?” I ask him.

 

 

“Ben is too busy with some other guy and… wait what do you mean go to the loft?” He asks me.

 

 

“Jesus, you didn’t even bother to see where he’s been living?” I ask him.

 

 

Michael gets up and slams out of my house. I hear him peeling out of my driveway and at this point I just text Ted to let him know that Michael was coming back to Pittsburgh, and I have a feeling it’s about the loft, and not about Ben. Ted texts me that I need to come home, Carl was shot tonight.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

I was dreaming about my alarm clock going off and I kept trying to shut it off but it wouldn’t stop making noise. I then realized it was my phone ringing and reached to answer it because it was the middle of the night.

 

 

“Hello.” I answer, half asleep.

 

 

“Justin, wake up and open the front door.” Brian sounded off.

 

 

“You’re here, I thought you were coming in the morning, is everything alright?” I ask him.

 

 

“Just come open the door.” He tells me quietly.

 

 

I get to the door and Brian grabs me and holds on to me. I just stood there, because something was wrong and I almost didn’t want to hear it the way he was shaking. 

 

 

“Carl was shot tonight, we need to get the girls and go to Pittsburgh.” He tells me.

 

 

“Is he…” I just can’t finish it.

 

 

“He’s been in surgery, but it’s not good. Ted told me that Deb is a mess and needs us.” He tells me.

 

 

We go upstairs and I knock on Mel and Lindsay’s door. Lindsay opens it but seeing Brian’s face she comes out and closes the door.

 

 

“What?” She asks quietly.

 

 

“Carl’s been shot and we need to go and be there for Deb. I booked all of us a flight that leaves in a few hours.” He tell her.

 

 

We all get our stuff packed to go and I call Emmett, who was sitting with my mom and Deb at the hospital.

 

 

“We haven’t heard anything and they keep asking for next of kin, that scares me.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“Why aren’t they talking to Deb?” I ask him.

 

 

“Girlfriends aren’t family in their eyes. We had to get Ben to take Deb out of the waiting room, she about took the doctor’s head off.” He tells me.

 

 

“We’re leaving to get there soon.” I tell him.

 

 

Brian was holding a sleeping Jenny and Gus was leaning on me asleep as we waited for the flight. Brian was on the phone with Ted for any updates. Mel had been on the phone with my mom but hung up when the flight was called. When we landed Drew was waiting for us. It finally dawned on me that no one mentioned Michael in all of this.

 

 

“Brian, where’s Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“He showed up at our house last night and left but I thought he was coming home.” He tells me.

 

 

“He’s not at the hospital, Ted’s been trying to call him, but so far no answer.” Drew tells us.

 

 

Brian dials and still no answer, it just rolls over to voicemail. We get to the hospital and find Deb sitting with Ben and a cop. Brian walks over and hugs Deb, whispering to her. I nod to Emmett to come with me outside. 

 

 

“Hey Baby, they let us know that Carl did well during the first part of the surgery. Carl’s daughter called and faxed permission for the doctor to talk to Deb.” He tells me.

 

 

“Has anyone found Michael?” I ask him.

 

 

“He’s not answering anyone, even Hunter. I don’t know where he is but he needs to get it in his head that now is not the time to flake out. I finally left a message telling him about Carl.” He tells me.

 

 

I pull my phone out and dial, because if Michael is true to form, he’ll answer just to tell me what he thinks of my life. 

 

 

“You know no one wants to talk to me, but now I seem to be getting calls from you guys when I finally don’t give a shit anymore.” He sneers.

 

 

“Michael this isn’t the time. Where are you?” I ask him.

 

 

“Why do you care?” He asks me.

 

 

“I don’t, but your mother needs you here. Carl was shot and everyone but her son is here.” I sneer, hanging up.

 

 

“Did he say where he was?” Emmett asks me.

 

 

My phone rings and I see it’s Michael. “WHAT?” I ask harshly.

 

 

“Is Ma okay?” He asks me.

 

 

“I don’t know because I’m busy trying to find you. Why the fuck didn’t you answer?” I ask him.

 

 

“It’s not important, but it’s still going to be a few hours before I can get there. Tell Ma I’m coming.” He tells me and hangs up.

 

 

I walk in and let Deb know Michael was coming, but right now I don’t think she cares about anything but Carl. I looked for Brian but couldn’t find him anywhere. 

 

 

“Where’s Brian?” I ask Ted.

 

 

“He said something about hating sitting in shitty chairs all night, then walked off.” Ted tells me.

 

 

I started walking around to see if maybe he was outside smoking or talking to someone on the phone. I finally find him standing in front of the coffee machine two floors down. 

 

 

“This machine actually makes the coffee strong enough that it doesn’t taste like shit.” He tells me.

 

 

“What did you do, try them all?” I ask him.

 

 

“No, but the nurses liked me, so they made sure I knew where to get coffee.” He tells me.

 

 

“You managed to get the nurses falling for you already?” I smile because only Brian.

 

 

“It took a week, but they figured I wasn’t leaving and it was easier to deal with me if I had caffeine.” He tells me.

 

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask him.

 

 

“My last secret from you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Which is what?” I ask him.

 

 

“I was here with you every night, until they released you.” He tell me.

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that?” I ask him.

 

 

“I didn’t want you to know, at first because I blamed myself, then it was just easier not to tell you.” He tells me.

 

 

“Why are you telling me now?” I ask him.

 

 

“I promised myself that if we were ever in this hospital together, I would tell you. I don’t break promises.” He tells me.

 

 

“No, you never did.” I lean in and kiss him for everything he did that I probably will find out someday.

 

 

“Carl will be fine, because like you, he’s too stubborn to let anything kill him.” Brian tells me.

 

 

“Deb wouldn’t let Carl die.” I tell him.

 

 

We walk back upstairs and into the waiting room. The doctor was talking to the other cop and Deb, who smiled through her tears. We listened as the doctor told us that Carl was still critical but the prognosis was good. We all started leaving when the doctor told us only Deb would be allowed to see Carl. Brian knew that instead of Canada for a week, we were staying here, so he gave Drew directions to Britin.

 

 

 


Chapter 33 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian asked the girls to get the kids settled and give us a minute alone. It was the first time I've been back here since I left for New York. Brian didn’t decorate here the way he did his loft. It was like he picked things that I always wanted. I stood in front of the fireplace and couldn't help but smile at the couches and big screen TV.

 

“I still see us living here one day.” He tells me.

 

“Then why buy a house in New York? I love our house there, but I don’t understand you purchasing it.” I tell him.

 

“If Kinnetik continues to grow we could be looking for a third house in Chicago. I like knowing that the place I’m staying belongs to me. It comes from constantly worrying where I would live when I left my parents home.” He tells me.

 

“I never thought much about it because I knew my mom would have let me stay with her.” I tell him.

 

“Which you never did.” He reminds me.

 

“I wanted to live my life the way I wanted it. If I went home then I was just admitting that I couldn’t take care of myself. To me, I was able to support myself, so why add that burden onto my mother?” I tell him.

 

“It wouldn’t have been failure to go home.” He tells me.

 

“No, but it wouldn’t have taught me to be responsible for my decisions either.” I tell him.

 

Lindsay was walking down the stairs and looking everywhere, Mel came down rubbing her stomach. We all needed to eat and get some sleep before we went back to the hospital. Brian must have heard the dual growls when Mel and I sat down on the couch together, because he started looking through his phone.

 

“I’ll order so that you and Mel don’t scare the kids with the roar you're making.” He tells us. 

 

“Until we knew Carl was out of surgery, I was too worried to eat anything.” Mel tells him.

 

“I just can’t believe it happened, he’s so close to retiring.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“Where the hell was Michael? You told us when we got here that he said he was coming, but he still wasn’t there when we all left.” Mel asks us.

 

“He said a few hours but it’s almost noon now.” I tell them, not sure what was taking Michael so long.

 

“Did he even tell you where he was?” Mel asks me.

 

“He seemed to avoid telling me.” I answer.

 

“You know, it’s funny that he thinks that us living outside of Pittsburgh means we wouldn’t be there for someone here, but it's not us who wasn't here.” Lindsay tells us. 

 

“It doesn’t matter, we came for Deb.” Brian tells her. 

 

“I know, but I wanted to say it out loud, before we go back. Deb needs us to get along until Carl’s better.” She tells him.

 

“The food’s on its way, after we eat I’m going back to sit with Deb.” Brian tells us. 

 

“Brian, you haven't slept all night.” I tell him. 

 

“Ted arranged for a car service, so I won't be driving.” He tells me, pulling me up in his arms.

 

“I can come too.” I tell him. 

 

“Later, you're half asleep and I've done this before.” He tells me, kissing my forehead.

 

I have to say, I'm impressed with Mel's appetite, she could put it away. I kept adding things to her plate when she wasn’t looking. Brian walked with me to the bedroom and we laid there without talking. I knew he needed to be with Deb right now, because even with the things she does, she's the only mother he had growing up. I was almost asleep when he started talking.

 

“I never thought we needed anything to show we were together.” He tells me. 

 

“We know and that's enough for me.” I tell him. 

 

“No, it isn't. I remember sitting outside your room and having to depend on a nurse to tell me anything. When they made decisions about you, I was told, but not asked what I thought. Even though I know your mother wouldn’t do that to me now, I’m still like Deb was in a situation like this.” He tells me. 

 

“Are you worried about Claire and your mom if something happens?” I ask him, because he might be saying this is about him but it’s always about me for him.

 

“I changed my POA years ago but I need to change it again. Michael is the last person I want you to have to fight with over me.” He tells me.

 

“We can do it together, it’s just something that I hadn’t thought about.” I tell him.

 

“We need to do more than that, because I need to know that if something happens, you have the power to make all our decisions. I want everything to go to you, but unless we make it legally binding, you would have to fight to keep what I wanted for you.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, we don’t have to make these decisions right now.” I tell him.

 

“Tonight brought that point home and I want to protect us from anyone who wouldn’t have our best interests at heart. I know that Gus will be taken care of because you would do that. I want the new baby and Jenny included in everything.” He tells me.

 

“If you feel we need to do this then we do.” I tell him.

 

BRIAN

 

I waited until Justin was asleep and called for the car to go to the hospital. Lindsay was sitting in the kitchen nursing her coffee. When she saw me she got up and grabbed her purse. 

 

“I’m going too, this way if Deb needs something I can run and get it while you stay with her.”  She tells me.

 

“Cynthia and Ted are meeting me there, so you can stay and get some sleep.” I tell her.

 

“I’m not going to sleep until I can tell our kids that Grandpa is awake.” She tells me.

 

I didn’t argue because I could see she was just as worried as the rest of us, and like me, she needed to be there for Deb and Carl. Mel was exhausted and it would make sense for her and Justin to be with the kids here instead of the hospital.

 

“I used to worry if something happened to Mel or I that we would be the one the hospital told they couldn’t talk to us. It’s strange to see that without marriage it’s the same for Deb.” She tells me as we get in the car.

 

“I can see the reason gay couples file domestic partnerships. I won’t leave Justin in a situation where he would be powerless.” I tell her.

 

“Is that why you need Cynthia there today?” She asks me.

 

“I want to make sure that I never have to sit outside Justin’s room while his asshole father could walk in and make decisions for a son he doesn’t even acknowledge.” I tell her.

 

“Are you going to do a wedding?” She asks me.

 

“I’m pulling a Deb with that one. I only want that if it’s legal, not just so I can join in the myth that a ceremony makes us what we’ve always been.” I tell her.

 

We got to the hospital and went to the waiting area. Cynthia was sitting on the sofa waiting for me.

 

“What did you need?” Cynthia asks me.

 

“I need to know how to file for Legal Domestic Partnership in New York and what I need to do here in order to make it so that Justin and I are protected no matter where we live.” I tell her.

 

“Got it, I’ll get it together for you and wait for you to call me when you want to do it.” She tells me.

 

“I want it as soon as you get it. Ted and Mel have all Justin’s information and you and Ted have mine. Get an appointment with a lawyer here and if we need one, in New York.” I tell her.

 

I get up and look for Ted, who I see standing down the hall. Lindsay and I go to see if Ted found out anything new. I get there and see Deb standing outside Carl’s room with Michael and Ben.

 

“Michael finally showed up, did he say why he wasn’t here last night or this morning?” I ask Ted.

 

“Nope, and doesn’t seem to want to tell anyone either.” Ted tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ma was barely talking to me, she was going out of her way to tell me how everyone showed up last night but me.  

 

“I needed to talk to Brian, not that he was much help.” I tell her. 

 

“He has his life in order. He probably wonders why you can't get your head out of his ass. It still doesn't explain where you've been when you should have been here, since everyone else, including Brian, dropped everything and came as soon as they knew. I almost lost Carl and you're standing here making excuses for not getting here to be with me.” She tells me.

 

I stayed quiet because it wouldn't be good if she found out that instead of driving home I stayed to get a comic signed at the convention in New York. I know I should have just gotten in my car, but it's how I deal with things. Ben puts his arm around Ma and lets her cry on his shoulder. When I reached for her, she turned to me, but then stared at my wrist. Ben looked down and grabbed my hand and read the wristband, then let it go as if I was tainted. I tried to touch Ma but she yanked her arm away and turned and went in the room. I reached for the door but Ben blocked my way.

 

“She doesn’t need to hear your excuses, just go home.” Ben tells me. 

 

“She needs me right now.” I tell him. 

 

“She fucking needed you when they couldn’t tell us if Carl was going to live, but I guess the convention meant more to you. So it shouldn't be a surprise that you're not going to get a warm reception from your friends when they find out. It also shows me that I was stupid for thinking there was any hope for us.” He tells me before walking down the hall.

 

I turned to see Brian, Ted, and Lindsay standing behind me. 

 

“I…”

 

“No one gives a shit.” Brian tells me, walking into Carl's room.

 

I looked at Ted and saw the same look that Brian gave me. Lindsay turned and ran after Ben. I couldn’t stay and see everyone else look at me like I should have been the one in Carl’s place. I walked outside the hospital and sat on the bench. I must have sat there for hours before someone sat down next to me. I looked to see Brian sitting there, but he wouldn’t look at me but instead seem to stare out into the parking lot. 

 

“You can’t seem to not make bad decisions, can you?” He tells me.

 

“It was just so I could…” I stopped because he interrupted me.

 

“Stop before you say something that makes me get up and walk away for good. You want us all here if something happened and we all got here to make sure Deb wasn’t alone if something happened to Carl. Did you think that gave you a free pass be anywhere but here?” He asks me.

 

“No, but it’s the way I always…” He stops me again.

 

“You haven’t figured it out yet have you? You know the fear you have of being alone, it’s about to become your reality. You and I are going upstairs and you are going to face your friends and your mother, you don’t get to ignore the truth anymore. Maybe seeing that there is no apology that you can give for this will tell you something.” He tells me, pulling on my wristband. 

 

Brian gets up and stands there waiting for me to get up. I wanted to run to my car and hide. 

 

“I’m not asking you to do this, I’m telling you that if you don’t want me to cut you out of my life you do this.” He tells me.

 

I walk behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 34 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I walked downstairs after sleeping for hours and smiled at Mel sitting with Gus and Jenny. She has a softness that I've never seen before. I ran quietly up to my room and got my sketch pad. I watched as she would stroke her stomach and I wanted this for our child to see. It's something I wish I could have done for Gus and Jenny. I was almost through when Mel came up and sat next to me.

 

“Is that how you see me?” She asks me.

 

“I draw what I see. That's how you looked.” I tell her. 

 

“It's beautiful, but then I always thought you could see us in a way we never saw ourselves. I remember that drawing of Brian, and how he looked so different then the asshole I saw. I guess that's why he bought it.” She tells me, staring at the drawing of her and the kids.

 

I smiled, even being shocked to hear it. I never knew he owned it, but I'm glad, because I drew it for him to see himself in a way he never did.

 

“We need to get to the hospital. Michael apparently went to a comic convention instead of coming home immediately.” She tells me. 

 

“It’s the first thing he’s done that doesn't shock me.” I tell her.    

 

“It pissed me off. He should have known better.” She tells me. 

 

“It's how he deals with things in his screwed up mind. I'm not saying he was right, but it's something Brian told me once.” I tell her. 

 

I help get Gus and Jenny dressed and we wait for the car to come get us. I have a feeling that the waiting room temperature is below freezing right now.

 

Ben was standing outside smoking, and since I've never seen him do that, I waited outside until Jenny was through talking to him. He handed me the cigarette and stayed calm with Jenny. I put it out because I needed to quit. Mel hugged him and Ben told us that Carl woke up and demanded to see Deb first. I waited for the kids and Mel to head inside to let Ben say what he was holding back.

 

“I’m okay, you don’t have to sit with me. I just couldn’t sit in a room with Michael right now.” He tells me.

 

“You don’t smoke, so I don’t think you're fine.” I tell him.

 

“He fucking went to a convention while we were here, scared we were going to lose Carl.” He tells me looking at the ground.

 

“Why are you acting like this isn’t something that Michael would do? When Brian pushed Michael away years ago, I found him in a comic shop angry at Brian. It’s something he does when he doesn’t know how to handle things.” I tell him.

 

“He needed to be here, and nothing else matters to me.” He tells me.

 

“End it Ben. Stop trying to find a way to prove that Michael will ever be more than he is.” I tell him.

 

“It’s funny that you’re giving me that advice.” He tells me.

 

“Brian could be an asshole but at least when it was time to be a grown up, he did it. He spent a lot of time doing the things for Michael that Michael couldn’t figure out how to do. Now Michael is facing things on his own because there’s only Jenny left.” I tell him.

 

“How did I end up with someone like him?” He asks.

 

“It’s one of the mysteries that none of us have been able to solve. Trust me, we spent time trying to figure out how on earth you and Michael were together.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t think you guys meant it as a compliment.” He tells me.

 

“It wasn’t an insult either. It’s just, your kind of really hot, and Michael is well, a bit of a geek. I’m sure people looked at Brian and I and tried to see why we were together. It’s just the way it works.” I tell him.

 

“You’re light to his darkness.” He tells me.

 

“He’d just tell you it was my ass, and I’d tell you it’s that the sex is spectacular.” I joke.

 

BRIAN

 

I went in to see Carl when Deb called me. She wouldn’t look at Michael and there wasn’t anything I could see that should make her want to. Carl was laying on the bed, barely awake and asked Deb to leave us alone. She kissed him, telling him that she would be just outside if he needed her.

 

“Brian, I know that Michael screwed up, but I don’t want Deb dealing with him and this at the same time.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t see any way to change that, he went to a comic convention instead of being here.” I tell him.

 

“I want you to tell him that I don’t want him here.” He tells me.

 

“If that’s what you want.” I tell him.

 

“I just think that it’s time for him to see how far he’s pushed everyone. I also want you to arrange for Deb and I to get married here, right away. If she wants to have a wedding we can do it later, but finding out that they had to call my daughter just so Deb could be there or be told anything was eye opening.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll get everyone to get it together.” I tell him.

 

“You know that she’s always been proud of you, don’t you? You stood on your own two feet and took care of everyone, whether they knew it or not. You might not have been her biological son but you are in her heart. She depended on you to help raise your brother.” He tells me.

 

“I always saw it as her needing me to keep Michael out of trouble.” I tell him.

 

“It’s what big brothers do, and your mother depended on you for that.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know if I can help him anymore.” I tell him.

 

“It’s time to let Deb and I do that for you. You have a life with Justin to live, let Michael be our problem. Just know that we both love you and Justin like our own.” He tells me.

 

I walked over to him and put my hand in his, because he’s the father I wished for and realized I finally got.

 

“You turned out to be a good choice for a father to us.” I tell him.

 

“I decided that if I was going to marry the mother of the group I had to be able to step up and become the father to you boys and girls. Now help me marry your mother.” He tells me pulling me into a hug.

 

I walked out and decided that Ma needed to marry Pa. Getting to the waiting room, I pulled Michael out of the chair of shame and dragged him past Ben and Justin and out to his car. Pa wanted him gone, so out he went.

 

“Brian what are you doing?” Michael asks me.

 

“Carl wanted you gone because you're causing Deb to worry. So I’m telling you to leave and don’t come back unless you understand what you did was the stupidest thing you could have done. I want you to listen to me and really hear me. If the problem is always you and someone else, then maybe the problem is really you, because you’re the recurring theme every time something is a problem. Now I need to go help Carl marry your mother, which he didn’t seem to want you there for, think about that.” I tell him and walk back to Justin.

 

EMMETT

 

I was bouncing on my toes when Brian told me that we had two days to give Deb a wedding. He actually said that our father wanted us to help him marry Mom. Jen yanked me out of the hospital and told me that we were going to give Deb as much of a dream wedding as possible. Lindsay chased after us with Jenny in tow. Mel and Brian were getting any of the legal aspects done and Ted was to go pay for anything we needed. Justin, Blake, and Ben were getting the food and flowers. Drew used his celebrity to get the hospital to approve us bringing in flowers and decorating the chapel. I was under strict orders not to let Deb find out about this. It was hard but I managed to keep it under my hat.

 

The only thing that had me sad was that Michael wasn’t going to be there to see his mother on what was going to be the happiest day of her life.

 

MICHAEL

 

Alex sat there and didn’t say anything when I told him what happened. I was really worried, because normally he had an answer for everything. 

 

“I don’t deal with trauma well.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t deal with anything Michael, and if you don’t start seeing that then you're wasting my time and yours.” He tells me bluntly.

 

“Are you giving up on me too?” I ask him.

 

“No, but we can’t keep sitting in session with you trying to find way to blame others for your problems. If you can’t admit to yourself what YOU'RE doing, then it’s a waste of my time and yours to sit here.” He tells me.

 

“Why are you talking to me like this?” I ask him.

 

“You admitted that Brian was a large influence in your life, and I see that where I tried to ease you into seeing things, Brian would have been blunt. I see that I took the wrong approach in dealing with you. If I want to help you I have to tell you bluntly how I see what you tell me.” He tells me.

 

“How do you see things?” I ask him sarcastically. 

 

“I see that you learned young to let your friends tell you what to do and then blamed them when you didn’t like the results. I believe that in a way, you're using your child to try to make everyone do what you want. That if Carl wanted you away from your mother, it’s because he wasn’t going to have you the center of attention when it should be all about your mother, and not her son who can’t think about her. You need to stop thinking that one day Brian will give up Justin when Ben isn’t around for you anymore.” He tells me.

 

“I never expected Brian to leave Justin for me.” I mumble.

 

“Yes you do, but I think you think that it won’t matter because you don’t believe Brian and Justin will stay together.” He tells me.

 

“I did everything to keep them together, so you’re wrong.” I tell him.

 

“Let’s go over a few of those times, and I want you to see how an outsider would see what you did in those situations. First, when Justin was having trouble seeing why he stayed with Brian, instead of telling Justin that he needed to tell Brian how he felt, or telling Brian yourself how Justin felt, your answer was that Justin needed to accept that Brian wouldn’t change for him and he either accept it or leave. You didn’t phrase it that way, but it’s how Justin most likely heard it. In essence you gave Justin a reason to walk away. Second, when Brian had cancer you told Justin not to say anything, but then went straight to Brian and told him not only that you knew, but that Justin told you. That wasn’t a mistake on your part, but a way to show Justin that Brian kept you, but not him. Then when Brian went to kick you out, you went to Justin and got him to handle Brian for you. I think by then you knew Brian wasn’t going to let you be there, but Justin knew how to make Brian face things in a way you never could. Third, you helped Justin walk away from Brian and then helped him move into a new place. It’s an interesting thing to do to your best friend, making sure that the man he was in love with stayed away from him. Once again you let Brian know that he lost Justin because he wouldn’t change for Justin. In a way you probably felt it was a victory, until they wanted to get married. It took Ben telling you that Brian still loved you for you to finally go to Brian and forgive him for daring to chase Justin. It’s all there if you’ll really admit to what all this has been about. What we need to do is find a way for you to stop seeing Brian as a future partner, and maybe you’ll be able to repair your marriage with Ben.” He tells me.

 

“I love Ben.” I tell him.

 

“I know, but until you stop seeing Brian as your future, then Ben needs to be your past. There has never been a relationship that can survive a ghost in the bed.” He tells me.


Chapter 35 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I looked around the chapel and smiled, because as colorful as it was, it was what Deb would want. Jen was arranging the vases by the podium and smiling at Justin, who was sneezing every few seconds. I pulled out his allergy medicine and handed it to him. He never remembers to bring it, so I keep some in packets for whenever we go somewhere. Emmett was helping Carl get into a suit, but we were under strict orders not to let him stand for long periods. Deb was sent on an errand for Mel and made it easy to get things into the hospital without Deb seeing.

 

Jen, Mel and Lindsay caught Deb before she went to Carl’s room and took her to the bathroom to get ready. We all realize the jig was up when we hear her yell “What the fuck do you mean I’m getting married!” to the whole wing. Justin and I walked out and got dressed which only made me smile, because I got to dress him this time and he couldn’t argue with me.

 

We were walking toward the chapel when I see Michael standing outside dressed for a change. Justin stopped me from telling him to get the hell away from the hospital.

 

“Let Deb tell him if he can come in.” Justin tells me.

 

“He spoils one thing…”

 

“It’s up to Deb if she wants him here, we can’t make that decision for her.” Justin interrupts me.

 

I grab Justin’s hand and walk by without looking at him. I know Justin’s right, it really is his mother’s decision, but I want this to be something Deb looks back at and smiles when she thinks of it. Ted rolled his eyes when he saw Michael but like us, just walked by.

 

DEB

 

I about fell over when Jen and the girls told me what they were doing. Carl was going to marry me and truthfully I was ready to be his wife. When I was dressed in a white gown, which I protested, until Jen told me that it was my first marriage so white was appropriate to wear. I felt like a young bride about to marry the love of my life. Someone knocked on the bathroom door and Jen lost her smile when she opened it to see Michael standing there. I asked everyone to leave him and I alone, because I love my son, just don’t love what he’s doing lately.

 

“If you’re here to cause trouble, leave now.” I tell him.

 

“You look beautiful Ma and I want to see you finally marry Carl.” He tells me.

 

“I wish I could say I want you there, but I just don’t want my day ruined because my son can’t see the truth about anything. You need to get Carl’s permission to come, because this is his present to me. I want you to face the only father you will ever have.” I tell him.

 

Michael stood there with the same look that usually had me handling everything for him. I just couldn’t do it anymore, because he disappointed me by not showing up at the hospital. Carl has done everything he could to help Michael, and Michael treated Carl as if none of it mattered to him. I walked away and let Michael decide if he was man enough to do what I asked of him.

 

Justin and Blake were waiting outside the doors for me and I smiled at the sons of my heart. Ten minutes later, Carl came down the hall in the wheelchair with Emmett pushing him. I just thanked God that I still had this chance with Carl. I looked up to see Michael behind Emmett. Carl grabbed my hand and I leaned down to kiss him.

 

“It’s fine if you want him in there, but he knows that he isn’t going to be part of the ceremony.” Carl tells me when I pulled back from the kiss.

 

“It’s more than he deserves right now.” I look at Michael, who nods in understanding.

 

“No more seriousness, we have a mom to marry.” Emmett tells all of us, excited.

 

The doors open and I smiled at the purple arch of flowers it's what I would have chosen.

 

 

When Justin handed me the bouquet I smiled because my boys know me so well.

 

It was the perfect way for me to show that even though they couldn’t marry here that it was the wish I'll continue to make for them. At that point I only wanted to marry the man who loved me with his whole heart. I put my bouquet in Carl’s lap and pushed the man I love to the front of the chapel. When we got to the front Brian and Ben stood beside Carl and helped him stand for the ceremony. I listened as the reverend said the words that would finally make me a wife. Carl looked at me and said his vows, for such a tough guy he said sweet words.

 

“Red, I waited for the day I would finally make you an honest woman. I want you to know to me we were married the day you said yes, we just took a while to make it legal. You have always been one of the most beautiful women I’ve had the privilege to call mine. I want us to have years to continue to love each other and the family we adopted and the family that is our own. You gave me your heart and I will cherish it forever. So today I marry the woman who I will spend the rest of my life with.” Carl tells me.

 

“Carl, I shouldn’t have made you wait for me to show that you were more important than a cause. I know that my boys and girls wouldn’t care about the world, just us doing what we makes us happy. I never thought anyone would want me to be their wife, but I met you and you stuck by me when I needed you. I love you for being the best man I know. So today I’m marrying the most wonderful man I’ve ever met and will always love.” I tell him.

 

We turned and the reverend finished the ceremony and it was overwhelming to hear Mr and Mrs Horvath at the end. I looked at Michael because I always thought he would be the one standing by Carl, and for the first time I saw Michael realize how much damage he’d done to all of us. I just couldn’t go to him and comfort him today. I reserved all that for Carl, and there just wasn’t anything left over for Michael. I looked at Brian and wasn’t surprised to see him and Justin together kissing. Emmett was smiling at Drew and Ted and Blake had their arms around each other. Lindsay stood behind Mel holding her hand over the small bump on Mel while the kids stood by their mothers. I hoped that Michael really saw what he could have had if he had tried harder.

 

The doctor came in and helped me get Carl to the waiting room where they set up a lunch for us to celebrate. I sat with Carl, smiling as the couples stood up and toasted us. Brian stood up with Justin and smiled down at him.

 

“I wanted to toast Deb for finally putting Carl out of his misery. You waited a long time for the perfect man and you found him. I understand why Carl stuck by you, because he only wanted the best for our Mom. Justin and I wanted to give you a present. As soon as Carl is better we arranged for you to take Carl to Italy and show him all the things that you shared with Uncle Vic. Thank you for all the love you gave us.” Brian tells us.

 

“I worked on this because you’ve always encouraged me to pursue my dreams. So I felt you and Carl should have something I drew for you. I managed to get a picture of both of you when you were our age.” Justin tells me and hands me a framed sketch.

 

I looked at the sketch and it was both of us in cameo staring at one another. I smiled through my tears at how handsome my Carl was when he was younger, but you know, I love how handsome he still is.

 

“You’ve just gotten better with age, Red.” He tells me looking at my younger self that looked life like.

 

Emmett got up with Drew and my Queen smiled that marvelous smile at me.

 

“Deb, you were the mother who loved me in a way my own couldn’t. You were there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on and tell me that it would get better. You once told me mourn the losses because they were many, but celebrate the victories because there were so few. Today is the day to celebrate because this is a victory for all of us, you gave us a father to love.” He tells us.

 

“I just wanted to add that you alway made sure I knew that your home was a haven and I will always appreciate the kindness you gave me when the world wasn’t smiling at me anymore.” Drew tells me.

 

Ted and Blake got up next.

 

“You love with your whole heart, and Carl is indeed a lucky man to have you. I always knew that you would stand beside any of us when we needed you. Carl, thanks for loving this wonderful woman.” Ted tells me.

 

“I just wanted to say congratulations and I hope to be there to help you celebrate for many years to come.” Blake tells us.

 

Mel and Lindsay stand and I smile as Jenny runs to me and sits on my lap.

 

“I’ve always been in awe of how you never let life get you down, Deb. We’ve had times where we didn’t agree, but I’ve always know that if we needed you, you would put aside your anger and help us. Carl you loved each of us and were able to give my children a grandfather when their own weren’t willing to be there for them. I will always be glad that Deb waited for a man like you to love.” Mel smiles at us as she stands next to Lindsay.

 

“I spent years looking for approval from my parents, but ended finding in your home. It didn’t matter to you that we loved in a way the world didn’t always approve of, to you love was wasted unless you loved who you were destined to. Thank you for letting us all see we were normal for loving the people we do. Carl thank you for loving our Deb.” Lindsay tells us.

 

Tucker and Jen stood but it seemed Tucker was going to let Jen talk.

 

“Deb without you I might have lost one of the most important people in my life and not met the wonderful man who loved my son. I spent a lot of time trying to understand Justin but you told me the only important thing was to make sure he knew I loved him. It gave me a closer relationship to Justin and the understanding that love came in many different colors. Thank you for being my best friend and helping me love Brian as much as you do.” Jen tells me. “Carl you got a wonderful woman, always cherish her.” She tells Carl.

 

Hunter and Daphne stood with Ben. I looked to see Michael staring at the floor.

 

“Deb, you rock and Carl, you're cool for a cop. I love you both for loving me.” Hunter tells us.

 

“Deb and Carl I’m really happy that you found each other and want to thank you for always showing support when others would question decisions we make. Deb you showed me that being strong didn’t make me less, but more. I promise to always carry your lessons through my life.” Daphne tells me.

 

“I love you Deb and will always consider you a mother no matter where my life takes me. Love Carl in a way that he always remembers. Be happy for each other and stand by each other.” Ben tells me, and I know it’s what he had wanted but not gotten from Michael.

 

I was really worried when Michael stood, but for once my son didn’t turn this into being about him.

 

“Ma you deserve to be happy for giving so much love to anyone who needed it. Carl thank you for loving her.” Michael tells us and then leaves the room.

 

Waiters came in and put plates on the table and we all celebrated until the doctor came in and told Carl he needed to rest. I kissed each of my children and grandchildren. Then followed my husband to his room.  We might not be able to do anything, but laying together was enough for now and maybe a few kisses.


Chapter 36 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

In the month since Ma got married I can’t say a lot changed for me, but I no longer denied what Alex was making me face. I think that it’s too late for Ben and me, because Hunter told me that Ben was seeing someone else and that I needed to let him be happy. Part of that was selling the house and renting a two bedroom apartment so Hunter had a place to stay when he came to see me. I was still not Daphne’s favorite person, but she listened to me when I needed someone to talk to about why I couldn’t straighten out my life. That was something I started learning to say anytime I wanted to blame something on anyone. The highlight of my days was calling and hearing my daughter chatter on about anything and everything. It was lonely but I needed to avoid the things that triggered me to find blame in anyone but myself. Alex seemed to see that we were making progress, but when I reverted in any way, he made sure I saw it and changed into a healthy direction. It just scared me to see that I wasn’t as over Brian as I made myself believe.

 

“It’s not something that will ever change, because in your eyes he was the hero you needed. You need to start seeing that Brian was just a man, one that only wanted your friendship.” Alex tells me.

 

“I was seeing what I wanted when he kissed me or held me.” I tell him.

 

“In a lot of ways Brian should have seen how you were reacting to it and stopped it before it led to you assuming things that he couldn’t reciprocate. This is not me placing blame on Brian, but pointing out that your emotional response became skewed by it.” He tells me.

 

“I just don’t understand why I married Ben, if you think I see Brian in my future.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, when Ben said that it was alright that you loved before each other he was right. You love Ben but unfortunately married him when Brian didn’t offer you what you wanted. If you had said yes to Ben without going to Brian, I don’t think we would be sitting together trying to help you. Can you honestly say that if Brian had told you to wait for him that you would have married Ben?” He asks me.

 

“No, I know that I would have broken up with Ben and waited.” I tell him.

 

“Would you have cared that it hurt Justin?” He asks me.

 

“I hate myself for saying this, but if Brian wanted me I would have been happy to get Justin out of our lives.” I tell him.

 

“Now think about what you said and then remember what you said to Brian when he hit you. For Brian, hitting a friend would have made him feel like a man who he hardly acknowledges. What you said caused more than pain than you realized.” He tells me.

 

“I said it because Justin had everything I believed would have made me happy. I couldn’t have been him. He put up with other men and Brian not being emotionally there for him. Brian knew that about me, that I needed someone who could devote themselves to me. I think that Brian didn’t change who he was because Justin was so young and was bound to need more experience.” I tell him.

 

“I think the truth lies somewhere between there. Brian enjoyed his freedom and wasn’t ready to give up a lifestyle he liked. Justin came and he wanted Justin and the lifestyle. What you don’t see is that they could both separate their relationship from it. What they did with other men had no impact on them. There are very few couples who could survive that kind of relationship, you weren’t built to survive it.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t think Ben is going to want to come back to me.” I tell him.

 

“Has he sent divorce papers?” Alex asks me.

 

“I got them before I got here this morning. I couldn’t sign them.” I tell him.

 

“If he comes back, make it so that he comes back on his own, not because of a slip of paper you didn’t make important when you should have.” He tells me.

 

I left Alex’s office and went to the notary to sign the papers. I wanted to give Ben the freedom to choose me if I deserved it, and to be happy if he was really through with me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I stared at the picture of my child sucking her thumb and fell in love the way I knew Brian did when he held Gus for the first time. She wasn’t in my arms, but being able to see her moving and hearing her heartbeat was as if she was here in the room with all of us. My mom was listening through my phone at my daughter’s heart beating. I know she was crying on the other end. Brian held me and watched each movement on the monitor. Mel and Lindsay were in their own world seeing the life inside Mel. 

 

I leaned down and kissed Mel softly for giving me this when I'd really given up the idea of having my own child. Brian pulled me back, being the caveman he can be. Gus smiled, even though he was hoping for a boy. 

 

“Well, Abraham is definitely a no.” Brian tells Mel.

 

“Kiss my...” She mouths the word ‘ass’ to him.

 

“I would but Justin’s is better.” He tells her.

 

“Well, we are looking at a very healthy little girl. I’m happy to report that you’ve reached the middle of your pregnancy and we aren’t seeing any of the problems from your last one.” The doctor tells them.

 

Mel hugs Jenny and I know that even with all the problems, she was worth it to Mel and Lindsay. Brian and I offered to take the kids out so Mel and Lindsay could celebrate alone. 

 

Brian and I celebrated deep into the night last night.

 

BRIAN 

 

I was seeing things that I never got to experience with Gus. I know I purposely missed those things because at the time I didn't know I could love the way I did the minute Gus was placed in my arms. My son gave me the capacity to love, which made it possible for me to be standing here with a man that loves as much as I have loved him. I smile as I'm sure Mel will be cursing enough to give Deb a run for her money. Justin’s not the only one who can give presents to our child's mothers. 

 

Justin surprised Lindsay with a painting of her, pregnant with Gus. It was one that Michael had snapped with his camera at a family dinner before Justin was in our lives. He told her that it was something he wanted for Gus to see, that he was loved before he was born. I swear he makes the munchers cry at the drop of a hat. I say this trying not to cry when baby Taylor curls her hands under her head as if going to sleep. I was saved by my baby girl when she moved again and it seems she's as flexible as her daddy when her foot appears beside her head. Only the tech starts moving the wand again.

 

“How did we miss that?” I hear the doctor ask the tech.

 

The tech started looking through her paperwork. “They cancelled the first scan last month.” She tells him. 

 

“We had a family emergency, what's wrong? ” Lindsay ask worried.

 

“Nothing if you're willing to have twins.” He tells us. 

 

“TWINS!” Jen yells through the phone. 

 

Justin stares harder as the tech moves to find baby two. I looked at Mel’s stomach but really I just thought her being big was because she was pregnant.

 

“How come you didn't know?” Justin asks the doctor, raising his eyebrow. 

 

“Twins are normally side by side but in this case your daughter was hiding well, your other daughter.” He tells Justin.

 

“We are so going shopping Mr Kinney.” Justin tells me. 

 

“I knew I could get you to shop with me.” I tell him, then give Mel a sloppy kiss for making it all possible. 

 

“Oh god, I actually didn’t mind that.” Mel says looking horrified.

 

“Hey, while I still have you in awe of me, I wanted to let you know the house is paid for and the decorator is just waiting for you to tell them what you want.” I tell them, pulling my boys out with me to protect me in case Mel comes out of her shock.

 

“BRIAN KINNEY GET BACK HERE.” Mel yells as Justin and Gus seem to want to preserve my last ball by running with me out of the hospital. 

 

LINDSAY

 

Jenny and I giggled at Mel and Brian. I think I’ve viewed it wrong for years, they just like to mess with each other. It’s refreshing to know that I’m still learning things about Mel even more than fifteen years later. I look back up as the tech takes the final measurements and shuts down the machines. I guess she was bigger, but she was just starting to show more this month. 

 

“Mel, this changes things. We need to monitor you closer than I would normally. Your weight gain is going to be more significant than your first pregnancy. It’s nothing your body can’t handle but I want to make sure you're only gaining baby weight.” He tells us and I know it’s time to get rid of some of the snacks she thinks she’s been hiding from me.

 

I help her up and leave her to dress, I laugh as I see Brian in the car and Justin standing there smiling as I bring Jenny out to him. I looked at Justin and could see he wasn’t scared but excited that he was having two.

 

“You know, the doctor at the clinic was really impressed with your sample.” I giggle, as he rolls his eyes. “Guess you were really motivated when you gave it.” I tell him.

 

“He’s never done anything he can’t excel at.” Brian tells me.

 

“Are you ready for two Justin and Mel’s to invade your world?” I ask him.

 

“I once had a dream that there were two of him, but alas, I woke up to the disappointment of only one. I’ll just have to mold the new ones to make us proud.” Brian tells me.

 

“I think I like two Mels, two of Brian would be a nightmare.” Justin tells me.

 

“Tell Mel I’m not budging on paying for the house. My children deserve the best.” Brian tells me.

 

“We could afford the house we wanted easily, you didn’t have to do this.” I tell him. 

 

“I didn’t like the cookie cutter house.” He mumbles. “Jenny, ice cream, we need to go.” Brian tells everyone when he sees Mel coming out.

 

“The house is really gorgeous, just tell Mel I wanted you closer.” Justin kisses my cheek and hops in as Brian speeds off.

 

I know this is going to be all kinds of fun with Mel. I turn, smiling as she glares at Brian escaping, then giggles as she pulls out her phone.

 

“Jen, I seriously think Brian shouldn’t drive so fast with kids in the car… Yeah, thanks.” Mel hangs up.

 

“What did you do?” I ask her.

 

“Nothing just sicked Jen on him. He might pause when Deb says something, but he comes to a full stop when it’s Jen.” She snickers.

 

 

 


Chapter 37 by starlight

MEL 

 

I seriously want to kill Brian for picking this house. How could he do this to me? I was fine with the four bedroom we were looking at, but not the six bedroom that sits next to his villa. I want to hate him for finding me a house I love. I look at Justin and Lindsay sitting like children on the stairs. They seem to be bracing themselves for my hormonal outrage at Brian’s controlling nature. I really would love to give them what they seem to be waiting for, but it's beautiful. The heated floors, the windows that look out to the fucking lawn Brian had designed to not clash with his house, and the beautiful oak desk and leather chair he added to showcase what could be my office. I stomp past them to the room where he left a card on the door for me, telling me that I was to enter only if I promised not to bring my pregnant ass to his house unless I learned to just accept that his children can’t live in a place he couldn’t. I opened the door and just wanted to figure a way to be mad at him for this too. The fucking nursery is decorated in pink, now I have something to say, until I look at the beautiful cribs and the mural on the wall of fairies and sprites, which seem to mean something to Justin and Brian, but they don’t seem to want to tell what it means.

 

“Mel, you know he’s like this.” Justin tells me.

 

“He just wanted us to have enough rooms for the kids.” Lindsay tells me.

 

I just couldn’t change years of training Brian on how to piss me off, but this is really making it hard for me. He gave us a home, separate but close, so our children can grow up with all of us. I look outside at the playground he built for Jenny and Gus and stare at Brian outside playing with the kids. How do you stay strong when you see him being human? He’s not the man who would drive us all up a wall, but I enjoyed our daily sparring sessions. I swear he made me a better lawyer because he’s a worthy opponent. Then I see him rubbing noses with Jenny and he just ruins it. God, I like Brian Kinney, how the hell did this happen to me?

 

I rub my daughters who seem to be kicking me to tell me, ‘Mama, Daddy B just wants us to be happy’. He just can’t seem to stop doing anything to make Justin happy and that includes buying a house for us. I guess Justin decided to leave because I see him walking to where Brian is, and it’s like Brian has radar that seems to pinpoint Justin without seeing him. Justin was trying to sneak up on Brian but the second he gets close Brian turns and catches Justin in his arms. Both of them smiling just to be close to each other. I love the way he loves, and that’s just more than my mind can fathom. 

 

“Mel, say something.” Lindsay comes up behind me and rubs her hands over mine.

 

“How are we going to fight when he does something this wonderful?” I ask her.

 

“You two always find something, but Mel, if you don’t want this we can say no.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“You love this house as much as I do. I want it, but I’m jealous of that.” I tell her.

 

“Why?” She asks me, looking at the Brian kiss Justin.

 

“Nothing separated them, not fights, distance, or time.” I tell her.

 

“They understand each other in a way that most of us are still learning. Mel, they had problems too. It’s just that for them, they never let anything get in their way. It’s something that we should have all seen as a lesson, loving someone means loving them even when you can’t be together.” She tells me.

 

“You know, you get to gush to him, because I just can’t do it.” I tell her.

 

“If you did, he’d probably be worried the pregnancy made you lose your mind.” She tells me.

 

“Welcome home.” I whisper to her.

 

 

BRIAN

 

I made the appointment to finish the paperwork for Legal Domestic Partnership and our POA’s. After that we went to lunch with the girls and Jen, but neither of us really mentioned it. We were all in Pittsburgh to have dinner with Deb and Carl, before they left for Italy together. Before that, I wanted to talk to Michael alone about the paperwork, because if this was going to be a problem for him, we needed to do this without ruining anyone’s night. I walked into the comic shop and Michael was sitting behind the counter reading a comic. He looked up and smiled when I came in, but didn’t move to hug me or kiss me. I hate feeling relieved that he didn’t, it’s just something that no longer fit in our friendship, what little there’s been of it.

 

“Hey, what are you doing here?” He asks me.

 

“I needed to tell you some things and thought I’d stop by and talk.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not going to cause trouble at Ma’s tonight.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not about that, it’s about the POA you have. I changed it to Justin.” I tell him.

 

“Oh, I guess I should have expected that.” He looks down at the comic.

 

“Yes, like I always expected you to do when you married Ben.” I tell him.

 

“Alex thinks that I didn’t change it because it was a way of me not letting go of a future with you. The truth is it was really just pure laziness on my part.” He tells me.

 

“Hearing that your mom had to wait for Carl’s daughter to give permission made me realize that Justin or I could be in the same situation. It’s why I also legalized our partnership.” I tell him.

 

A teenager comes in and Michael starts gathering his things together. “I have to get to my appointment.” He tells the kid.

 

“Need a lift?” I ask him.

 

“No, I… sorry but I’m having a hard time with what you just said.” He tells me, practically running out the door.

 

I let him go because there’s nothing I can do for him. Deb wanted me not to do anything that would trigger Michael’s codependence on me. I think telling him I’m as married to Justin as I can be should be a sign that we aren’t the ‘Brian and Mikey show” anymore.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Michael, you knew that Brian saw Justin as his partner, so what he did was a logical next step for them.” Alex tells me. 

 

“When he came in I thought it was because he wanted to hang out, but he was there to sever another tie to me.” I tell him.

 

“No, he wanted to make it so his partner wouldn’t be left out if something happens.” He tells me. 

 

“I wouldn’t have blocked Justin being there for Brian. Why make Justin have to make those kind of decisions? I hated when Ben got sick and they wanted me to do it.” I tell him. 

 

“How would you have felt if you had had to depend on Justin to make decisions for Ben's care and you had to wait for him to tell you anything?” He asks me.

 

“I know what you're trying to tell me. I just thought by now I'd gotten past Brian living a life without me. I felt like I couldn’t breathe when he told me they became legal partners. I was always making a big deal that they should want more, now I'm almost angry they did what I was telling them they needed to do.” I tell him. 

 

“Say what makes you angry without trying to filter it.” He tells me. 

 

“He never loved me the way he loves Justin. I can't understand why him and not me. I was there waiting for him to love me, but he was waiting for someone who isn't me. What made Justin the one to change Brian Fucking Kinney?” I practically scream the words.

 

“Only Brian could tell you that.” Alex tells me calmly.

 

“I'm afraid of the answer.” I tell him. 

 

“Why would that scare you?” He asks me. 

 

I couldn’t answer him, because it hurt to say that Brian was never interested in me at all.

 

“The truth doesn’t change because you don't want to hear it.” He tells me. 

 

I left Alex’s office knowing I needed Brian to tell me why he chose Justin, over everyone. I just needed to see his face when he told me what I lacked that Justin had. Getting to my apartment I laid down on the couch trying to figure out what was so important about knowing. 

 

“I need you to tell me why Justin.” I tell him. 

 

“Why?” He asks me. 

 

“I love him, for me that's the reason.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm not asking as if your feelings for me would be different but because I need to hear what was so wrong with me that you and Ben chose other people.” I tell him. 

 

“Ben chose you until it became unsatisfying to stay. You had everything you wanted but it wasn't enough for you.” He tells me. 

 

“I just need you to tell me what I could have done to have you.” I tell him. 

 

“Nothing.” He tells me. 

 

“How did Justin do it, please, I need to hear why you changed for him.” I beg.

 

“What difference will it make?” He asks me. 

 

“I'll finally know what I could have done!” I yell at him.

 

“He's telling you. Nothing.” Uncle Vic tells me.

 

I stare at Vic, confused at him being here.

 

“Dad get up.” I wake up to see Hunter standing in front of me.

 

I sit up and look around realizing I fell asleep. Hunter looked really worried. 

 

“Are you okay, I heard you screaming from the hallway.” He tells me. 

 

“I must have been dreaming.” I tell him. 

 

“Sounded like a nightmare. We need to get going if we want to make it dinner.” He tells me. 

 

On the walk to Ma’s house I thought about how desperate I was for an answer in my dream. The answer was he couldn’t love anyone the way he loves Justin, they’re part of each other. When we got to Ma’s house, Brian was outside smoking and I walked over to him.

 

“I'm glad you and Justin are happy.” I tell him. 

 

“Thanks, Mikey.” He tells me. 

 

It felt good to hear him use that name. I hadn't deserved it in a long time. 

 

“Boys get your asses in here and eat.” Ma yells. 

 

Jenny came running out to me and I catch my daughter. Justin was sitting at the table frosting a cake, or as Justin does, sneaking frosting while Ma does the actual frosting. The rest of the gang were talking and laughing together. Jenny jumped down and chased Gus around the kitchen. I realize my family never left me.      

 

When they announced the twins I stood up and toasted with everyone. It was time for me to find my own happiness. 

 

 

 

Chapter 38 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Michael asked to talk to me alone, I wasn't sure what we had left to say anymore. I don't hate him, I just can’t be as open with him as I was before. 

 

“I would like to tell you why I said what I said that day. I don't expect you to forgive me. In my mind you had everything I believed I would have wanted. When I saw you kissing Ethan, to me you were throwing away something no one but you could have from Brian, including me. I can lie and say I was protecting Brian, but I've spent a lot of time in therapy and know I was jealous, because no matter what you did, Brian was still in love with you. So saying what I said was my anger at my best friend loving anyone but me.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael, you honestly think we didn’t know that?” I ask him.

 

“I wanted to believe that your relationship was how I pictured it in my head. So when you left him, it had to be your fault. It didn’t matter to me what Brian did wrong, because I needed it to be you.” He tells me.

 

“Michael, life with Brian wasn’t a fairytale, but he never deserved what I did. I think he was taking a lot of blame all the way around. What I’m having a hard time with is that you let everyone blame Brian, and not a single one of us ever questioned why Brian did it. It’s hard for me to understand how you can call him your best friend, then let him take the fall for you. It’s something that Daphne or I could never do to each other, so it leaves me wondering what kind of a person could do that.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I’ve been a coward my whole life, at seventeen you had it more together than I did at thirty, so like a coward, I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want anybody to realize what an asshole I really am. I can’t take back the things I did and said, but I’m working on not allowing my life to go in that direction again.” He tells me.

 

“You know, if things were reversed I would have said it to your face.” I tell him.

 

“No, you wouldn’t have said anything like that at all.” He tells me.

 

“I should have been able to talk to Brian and not you, but for all my being an adult, I was really a kid learning my way and making mistakes that should have made Brian never want anything to do with me again. I was lucky that he could still want anything to do with me.” I tell him.

 

“You thought we were friends, but it wasn’t possible for me to be your friend when I was still hoping for things that I couldn’t have.” He tells me.

 

“Is it over with Ben?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t see a way for us to be together. He doesn’t need to wait forever for me to figure out my life, and he’s happy with the guy he’s with. I’m just not in a place where I could have a healthy relationship with anyone. I’m not over Brian the way I acted like I was.” He tells me.

 

“I doubt there’s a way to get over Brian.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to say to you that you and Brian deserve to be happy.” He tells me.

 

“Hey, you did well, you barely winced when you said it.” I said, laughing.

 

“You know, people don’t realize you can be an asshole too.” He tells me, laughing.

 

 

FIVE MONTHS LATER

 

BRIAN 

 

We were sitting in the waiting room, waiting for Mel to have the girls. Justin decided he didn’t want to see anything he would have nightmares about. He watched a birthing video and called to tell Lindsay and Mel he would rather not see it live. Jen had come up a week earlier to help them out until it was time and was pleased when Mel asked if she wanted to watch. I jokingly told Mel I'd wipe her brow, but man I learned not to joke with someone in labor when she told me that I could if I didn't like my balls. 

 

Mel opted for drugs which I'm sure the hospital was thankful for after the swearing that could be heard throughout the wing. I will never get why women think there's anything great about being in pain. Lindsay went all earth mother with Gus, but Mel at least had the sense to know when they offer you drugs you say ‘Hell Yes’. Of course Justin made the mistake of telling Smelly Melly that he read it was a beautiful experience. He still recovering from Mel telling him she could tie his dick in a knot if he wanted the experience. Did I mention Mel isn't really her happy go lucky self?

 

Everyone kept phoning to see if the girls had come, which I explained over and over that we'd call when she had them, but it's like they thought if they kept calling she'd squirt them out faster. Poor Justin was dealing with Deb every half hour. 

 

It was just about into hour eight when Jen came into the waiting room smiling.

 

“Everyone is doing fine. Justin, they’re beautiful.” She tells us. 

 

We waited for Mel to get settled, but I wanted Justin to see the babies for the first time alone with me. We went to the nursery, looking for our daughters. Mel arranged for us to have access to the nursery, because I asked her to give us a chance to see them before we had to share with everyone. We were allowed in after they checked to see our bracelets. I didn’t even have to be told which ones were our girls. It was like, since they had Justin’s DNA it was all I needed to know they belonged to me.  

 

“Do you want to hold them?” The nurse asked us.

 

Justin nodded, but couldn't take his eyes off of them. Jen was wrong, they weren’t beautiful, because that word seem so small for them. 

 

“I remember seeing you hold Gus and thinking ‘he loves him’.” He tells me, smiling at the baby in his arms.

 

“I didn’t expect to.” I tell him, watching baby two wrinkle her nose the way Justin does.

 

“It's overwhelming how much I love them.” He tells me. 

 

“I know.” I tell him kissing him.

 

We stayed with the girls until it was time to go to the room with Mel and the rest of the family. I wanted Justin for one more moment before our lives changed. We stood outside the door and I held him in silence thinking about our life and how every moment led us to where we are. How lucky we are that we are going to see our children grow up and most likely give us gray hair at the antics they'll get up to, but because we never let go of each other we get to have this life together.

 

JUSTIN

 

When we went in the room, Lindsay and Mel were holding the girls for Gus and Jenny to see. Mom had her arm around Lindsay beaming as the babies yawned at the same time.

 

“We have to give them names.” Mel tells me. 

 

“I want Brian to name them.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin, you pick names.” Brian tells me. 

 

“I want our daughters to know they were named by their father.” I tell him. 

 

Brian walks to the bed and smirks at Mel. Mel and Lindsay agreed that they could pick the middle names but everyone thought I was picking the first names. To me, Brian choosing for me made it special to me. 

 

“Bella and Jasmine are the names I thought about.” He tells us. 

 

“They’re beautiful names.” Lindsay tells him. 

 

“Which I can't even argue with.” Mel tells him. 

 

“It’s because I know how to pick names that don’t make other kids feel sorry for poor unfortunate Abraham.” Brian tells her. We all laugh when Gus nods in agreement.

 

 

When it came time to give the girls their first bottle, Mel let Brian and I do it. Gus and Jenny sat with us and watched their sisters, who apparently didn’t need any help learning how to suck a bottle. Brian of course had to comment that that could only have come from me. The girls had sprinkling of reddish gold hair, the eyes were blue but I knew from reading about it that that could change. I prayed that they got Mel’s skin tone because I burn, not tan. After kissing the babies and standing at the nursery window for a little longer, Brian dragged me behind him so we could get Jenny and Gus home. Lindsay was planning on staying with Mel until she got home. 

 

 

I wanted to ask Brian why those names, because he came up with them so easily. I was taking a shower, still seeing Bella and Jasmine’s sleeping faces in my head. It hit me then why he wanted the names he picked. I grabbed a towel and ran to the bedroom. I forgot for a second why I came in here because well, Naked Brian just shuts down all reasonable thought, but then I knew I need to thank him for once again making what I wanted, happen. So, dropping the towel I crawl up the bed. Once I was settled on his lap. I leaned over him and whispered into his ear,“You gave them those names because I wrote I wanted BJ.” I kissed the smirk and then forgot for a little while about anything but Brian.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 39 by starlight

MEL 

 

Looking at the clock, I grabbed my robe to go feed the girls. I wanted Lindsay to sleep because she worked so late getting a show ready at the gallery. It's been different having her supporting us. With the move and the girls, Lindsay wanted me to take the time off like she did with Gus. I'm still setting up my firm, but not worrying about working until I'm ready. We've managed a routine where Brian and Justin have the kids after school until after dinner. It gives Lindsay and I time alone which made our home life more manageable than before. 

 

I walked in and didn’t comment on my visitor, just handed him one of the bottles. It's become our nightly thing to sit with the girls and talk quietly. My reaction the first time I found him here was confused, because he was changing Bella and talking quietly to Jasmine. When he looked up and saw me he just pointed to the bottles he was warming. 

 

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked him softly.

 

“Justin agreed to take six and I took two.” He answered as if it made any sense.

 

“How did you get in?” I ask him.

 

“You know, all the years of people barging into the loft taught me that if they could do it, so could I.” He tells me.

 

I still remember Lindsay and I doing exactly that and not expecting to see what we saw. To this day I’m still amazed that they didn’t kick our asses out. I decided that if he wanted to come at two, then why fight the help.

 

“Bella, I thought we agreed to no poop unless one of the others was holding you.” Brian talks to her as if she understands.

 

I wish I could figure out what Brian does that makes the girls stay so quiet when he’s around. They gurgle and coo, but that’s all when he’s in a room with them. 

 

“Are you ready for us to introduce them to the family this weekend?” Brian asks me.

 

“I’m just relieved that they all agreed to wait two weeks. I expected us to be overrun with visitors the minute we pulled in the driveway here.” I tell him.

 

“You can thank Jen and Justin for that one. They both made it clear to the others that no one came until they were invited.” He tells me.

 

“Have you talked to Michael? He’s supposed to have Jenny this weekend but I haven’t heard from him.” I ask him.

 

“He’s been working on Rage and updating the store to get more business. I think he’s just been trying to stay busy. I think when he heard that Ben wanted to get married, he had a harder time than he thought he would with it.” Brian tells me.

 

“It must have been hard not to fall into old habits with him. Normally you’d be running to the rescue.” I tell him.

 

“Deb and Alex want all of us to let Michael learn to deal with things and not solve everything for him. It’s been different when he calls, because he isn’t asking me to help him all the time.” He tells me, laying Bella on his shoulder.

 

“It’s hard not to wish they had worked it out.” I tell him.

 

“It’s also easy to see why Michael never changed. I was thinking about when I reopened Babylon and  how Michael could have misunderstood everything.” He tells me. 

 

“We should have made Justin go to be with you that weekend. “ I tell him. 

 

“It was his first chance to visit you and Lindsay. He missed Gus and Jenny, so to us the choice was simple. Babylon will always be there but the kids were more important to Justin.” He tells me. 

 

“You think that's what caused Michael to still think you were still his future?” I ask him. 

 

“It was just the things that happened that night. We were all dancing but Michael took the platform with me, leaving Ben below us while he did the things we did before Justin. I remember standing above them dancing with my eyes closed but when I opened them it was to see Michael smiling at me like I was where I should be, doing the things that he expected. He didn’t make a fuss over Justin not being there.” He tells me. 

 

“It's strange to look back at something and see it so differently, isn’t it?” I ask him.

 

“Looking back on it, I almost wonder if Justin had been there would Michael have not lost Ben.” He tells me. 

 

“Brian, no matter how much we all wanted to blame anyone but ourselves, you weren’t the reason we made the choices we made. I know that when I cheated on Lindsay, it had nothing to do with you, just my selfish decisions. I wanted to blame you because Lindsay was talking to you but not me. I didn’t do anything to make Lindsay want to talk to me, so in the end it was us, not you. Michael wanting to believe you were still going to be there with him later was Michael’s fault, and nothing would have changed unless he wanted the change.” I tell him.

 

“I always find it hard to believe that Justin stood by me, when I always put Michael ahead of him.” He whispers.

 

“He didn’t need you the way Michael did, Justin could do things without having to cling to you. I always thought it was one of the things that made you chase Justin.” I tell him.

 

“In the beginning I was just worried he’d get hurt. A lot of my problems with Justin were because of his independent streak. Whereas Michael couldn’t make a move without me, Justin might tell me later what he had done when I wasn’t around.” He tells me.

 

“You were so used to everyone looking to you for answers.” I tell him. 

 

Brian got up and kissed Bella and Jasmine then wandered out of the room. I knew his next stop was to look in on Gus and Jenny before he trekked back to his house. I stood up and went to the window and watched as Justin opened the door when Brian was almost there. They both would sit on the steps and share Brian’s cigarette before going back in.

 

Brian might be letting Michael learn to take care of himself, but he still tries to see what he could have done to help. I’m learning it’s who he really is; not a selfish uncaring asshole, but a man who cares too much for the people he loves. It’s like the asshole was his defence when no one could see him for who he is, Brian Kinney, friend, father, and partner.

 

“Girls, love that man with everything you have, because he’ll give you the world for the taking.” I whisper to them.

 

MICHAEL

 

I laughed at Emmett’s idea of dealing with heartbreak. Ice cream, spray whip cream, and movies about people who get back at the men who left them. It hurt when Hunter told me Ben was planning to propose to Wes, but more because I never gave him a reason to come back. 

 

“Are you really okay?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Emmett, he needs the chance to be with someone who only sees him. I'll always love him, but I screwed up my chance. Being in therapy makes me a bad candidate for a relationship right now. I have Jenny and Hunter, so I'm not alone.” I tell him, stealing the ice cream. 

 

“Are you and Brian still talking?” He asks me. 

 

“We still call each other but I don't try to get him to solve things for me anymore.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm proud of you for really working on things.” He tells me, stealing the ice cream back.

 

“It was hard to admit to myself that I am still in love with Brian because I didn't want to see it. I spent so much time acting like he needed me for everything, when I knew that he really needed Justin. I even went to see Devina, thinking that he would be help. It made me realize that Ma did what she did because she didn’t want me disappointed by a father who really never wanted to be one.” I tell him. 

 

“Drew and I wanted to invite you to go with us to Mel and Lindsay’s house this weekend for the babies’ party. Ted and Blake are riding with us too, so it will be like a road trip with the gang.” He tells me.

 

“Why not, it would be fun to hang out together again.” I tell him.

 

We watch the ‘Waiting to Breathe” and I told Emmett that the chick who set the car on fire would be Justin if Brian ever pissed him off.

 

EMMETT

 

Brian Kinney is a sneaky bastard that’s all I’m going to say. When we went to pick up Ted and Blake first, there he stood. I must have looked confused because Blake explained why he was here.

 

“Brain, thought it would be nice to reenact Justin running away.” He tells me laughing.

 

“Did you lose him again?” I ask Brian.

 

“The twat seems to think the girls can’t do anything for Bella and Jasmine without him.” Brian tells me, but then I see Justin coming out of the bathroom.

 

“Baby, are you riding with us?” I ask, hugging him, which of course gets Brian to drag him away.

 

“Nope, I wanted to hang with the cool guys.” He tells me winking.

 

“Drew, Justin and I are going to go together so you old men can play.” Blake tells me.

 

Brian, Ted and I stood and watched Drew drive away with Justin and Blake. I have a feeling they are going have more fun. Michael pulls up and smiles as he see the three of us standing there.

 

“What are you doing here, aren’t we going to see you?” Michael asks Brian.

 

“Justin seems to think we don’t get to spend time together and hijacked our men.” I tell him.

 

“Road trip, Road Trip.” Teddy starts chanting and then Michael and I joined in, but as usual Brian didn’t. 

 

“Get in the car, my babies need Daddy to keep them from too much muncher time.” Brian growls at us.

 

We get in and I check to see the car has a spare because it would be just our luck to get a flat on the way there. 

 

“I’ve always thought it was funny that none of you could change a tire.” I tell them.

 

“You really think I don’t know how, I just didn’t want to get dirty.” Brian tells me.

 

“I’m going to admit that Ma always did it for me.” Michael tells me.

 

“I handed you the things you asked for.” Teddy defends himself.

 

“It would have been nice if I didn’t have to explain to you exactly what I needed.” I tell Teddy.

 

“Michael, learn to at least lie about certain things, no one needs to know you're a Mama’s boy.” Brian jokes.

 

“You always said to take pride in what you do best, and I am the original Mama’s boy.” Michael smirks.

 

“At least you're not an ex crystal queen living with an ex crystal queen who was once your rehab counselor.” Ted tells us.

 

“Or in love with a rent boy who can’t speak English.” I add laughing.

 

“Or acting like a teenager when your boyfriend was the teenager.” Brian adds.

 

“Or running with your sperm in a paper cup across town because you didn’t want to explain it to a taxi driver.” Michael tells us.

 

“Or get caught cumming while you're straight boss walked in.” Ted tells us.

 

“Or thinking that you could sneak a trick in the muncher’s house only to be caught when he howled like a dog loud enough for the neighborhood to hear.” I tell them.

 

“Or sneaking into Ma’s house every night, thinking she hadn’t figured out I was there with Justin most nights.” Brian tells us.

 

“Man, I’m never going to be able to sit on that bed without worrying about what the stain on the wall is.” Michael groaned.

 

“Be more worried about the one on the ceiling.” Brain tells us, and you know, there was just no way not to imagine how he managed that.

 

For once it was just the four of us being kids and no one getting hurt by it.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 40 by starlight

LINDSAY

 

“Mom, Grandma Deb wants to know if we have big pans.” Gus asks me from the nursery doorway.

 

“Tell her to check Justin’s kitchen.” I tell him, changing Jasmine.

 

“Do you need me to stay and help? I REALLY want to.” He begs.

 

Gus runs over to the crib, smiling down at Bella. I worried Gus would have a hard time with Brian sharing himself with the new babies but Brian made sure that Gus felt included in everything. I took it as a huge compliment when Brian told me that he, like Mel and I, never cared who the mother was, just that they were ours, to him it didn't matter where the kids came from, they were his children.

 

“So this is where you’re hiding.” Jen tells Gus as she comes in.

 

“Nana, as much as I love Grandma Deb, my cheek can only take so much pinching.” Gus tells her. 

 

“Daddy just pulled in with Drew and Blake, I'm sure they'll protect you.” She tells him. 

 

Gus ran out of the room excited. Justin will always be his favorite person. It's just when the babies were born he worried about his relationship with Justin. Mel and I were really surprised when Gus confided in Jen before the girls were born that he felt like Justin would love the girls more because he wasn't his real child. Instead of going to Brian and Justin, Jen came to us. 

 

“Gus is worried that with the new babies, Justin won't love him as much.” She told us.

 

“Justin wouldn’t do that.” Mel tells her.

 

“From experience you know that when the new child comes, the older one will get jealous.” She tells us. 

 

“He never had a problem with Jenny’s relationship with Justin.” I tell her. 

 

“Justin wasn’t becoming a father to Jenny.” Mel tells us. 

 

“This is the first time Gus feels the difference in Justin, from you, Mel, and Brian. In his head he can’t lose you because your Mom, Mama and Dad” She tells us. 

 

“And Justin is just Justin for him.” I started to see why Gus would worry.

 

“Maybe if we have Justin talk to him it would help him get over the idea that Justin would feel differently.” Mel tells us. 

 

Jen took the kids with her so we could talk to Justin and Brian. Justin asked if he was paying too much attention to the pregnancy and that was why Gus thought that.

 

“I think it's just that he's not sure of what he is to you.” Mel tells him. 

 

“He’s my son in every way that matters.” Justin tells us.

 

“Our son.” Brian tells him. 

 

“But how do I make OUR SON see that?” Justin asks him. 

 

“Justin, I think it's because, unlike the three of us, to him it's different because he calls you Justin.” I tell him. 

 

“So does Jenny, why does he think my feelings would change?” Justin asks, confused.

 

“He needs to know that you're as much his father as you are the babies’.” Brian tells him. 

 

“I am.” Justin tells him. 

 

“But in his head you don't have a name to signify that.” I tell him. 

 

“Then he can pick one and I'll answer to it.” Justin tells us.

 

“I think you and Gus need to do that together.” I tell him. 

 

When Gus came home we all sat him down so he could tell us what was bothering him. Justin wanted to do anything to help Gus see that to him, nothing mattered but that Gus knows he will always love him. Brian held Justin and I think he knows that it hurt Justin because of what Craig did to him. 

 

“Gus, we need to talk to you about what you told Nana about Justin, can you tell us why you're worried?” I ask him.

 

“I've never known what Justin was to me. I knew he was Dad’s boyfriend and my friend. It's just that he was always there for me when I needed him and I wanted him to be like all of you, but I didn’t know if it was okay for me to want him for more.” He tells us. 

 

“Gus, I know I told you that Justin and I signed papers to change what our relationship is considered, but I think you need to understand what that paperwork says.” Brian tells him. 

 

“It's papers saying Justin belongs to you.” Gus tells him. 

 

“Not those, but those were our way of being as married as we can be. It also makes Justin to me what your Mama is to Mom. I'm talking about the ones that concern you.” Brian tells him. 

 

“The ones you and my mom’s signed?” He asks Brian. 

 

“Justin signed them too. If something happens to all of us, you stay with Justin, because he’s just as much your father as I am.” Brian tells Gus, but looks at Justin who smiles through his tears.

 

“So it’s okay to call him Daddy?” Gus whispers to Brian.

 

“It’s what he’s always been, Sonnyboy. You need to know that he loves you as much as he’ll love the new babies.” Brian tells him.

 

“I think I knew that, but Jenny gets to call Ben Dad but no one ever thought that I would have liked to call Justin more than Justin.” He tells us.

 

“It wasn’t because we saw Justin as less than Ben, it was just that you always seemed to be okay with just calling him Justin.” I tell him.

 

“But he’s going to be a real Dad to the babies.” He tells us.

 

“Gus, I’ve always thought of you as my son, and the babies are just joining our family. To me being a father was loving my kids no matter where they came from or who they become.” Justin tells him.

 

“Because my Dad loves everyone that way.” Gus tells him.

 

“Yes and he showed me that it was the only way you really love someone. Gus, I met you the day you were born and loved you from the minute your father held you. You're as much mine as any child I ever have will be. If you need me to be Daddy than that’s what I’ll be.” Justin tells him.

 

“It’s what I always thought you were, it’s just no one ever said I could call you that.” He tells Justin.

 

“You might as well, since I’ve always thought of you as my son.” Justin tells him.

 

After that it was like Gus was making up for all the years he never got to call Justin, Daddy. None of us were allowed to call him Justin in reference to Gus. Jen learned that when she asked Gus where Justin was the next day and got “You mean Daddy” from Gus.

 

BRIAN

 

We got to the house an hour behind Justin and the gang because Michael wanted to stop where we did when the tire blew and take silly pictures of all of us trying to pretend to change a tire. I think he was just trying to live the day differently, because there was no us standing there while he kissed me or having a conversation that should never have happened. As much as reliving the days of the gang was fun, my life isn’t about the good old days, but about my family in this house.

 

Gus came running around the corner with a squirt gun, yelling at Daddy that it wasn’t fair that he wouldn’t stand still so Gus could get him. I saw Michael stiffen at hearing Daddy, but then he just seemed to let it go. Emmett smiled and ran to see if he could find a gun to help Gus with. Jenny came out and leapt at Michael, which seemed to be all he needed to go in and not say anything about Gus’s new name for Justin.

 

“Brian, it’s a process.” Blake tells me.

 

“What?” Ted asks him, not noticing Michael’s reaction.

 

“Michael might be getting better, but he’s always going to have a problem when something new pops up. Like Justin being called Daddy by Gus.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“At least give Michael credit for not causing a scene.” Drew tells us.

 

“He’s doing really well, but there are going to be times when he can’t control his reactions, but he’s controlling what he says.” Blake tells us.

 

“Have you been analyzing this a lot?” I ask him, because Blake has never been a Mikey fan.

 

“No, but I deal with people who need to get their life together. There are going to be times when they fall but it’s that they keep trying that makes it possible for them to recover. It’s a lot that he hasn’t tried to do things that he used to.” Blake tells us.

 

“Boys, if you want food you better beat Michael and Justin to the table.” Deb comes out, yelling at us.

 

“It’s one thing that Justin and Michael seem to have in common, they eat like starving children.” Ted jokes.

 

“Which means if you want anything but crumbs get your asses in here.” Deb jokes back.

 

MICHAEL

 

It wasn’t the easiest thing in the world hearing Gus call Justin Daddy, but not for the reason everyone most likely thinks. It just reminds me that Jenny has another father who isn’t here. Ben is planning on being here today, without Wes, because he wants us to explain to Jenny what’s going on. I almost told him that Jenny wouldn’t need to know that right now, but I think it will be better for her to know the truth, and not think everything is still how it was. 

 

After we ate I let the girls know that Ben would be here but then just didn’t feel like staying with everyone in the kitchen. I walked outside and sat on Brian’s back steps, looking at the playground in between the houses. Brian walked out and sat next to me, lighting up. 

 

“How are you really doing?” He asks me, looking at Gus and Jenny who started playing on the swingset.

 

“Good and bad, but better.” I tell him.

 

“Mel said Ben’s coming today.” He says it like a question.

 

“We need to talk to Jenny about the changes that are going to happen when Ben marries Wes.” I tell him.

 

“You only need to tell her that for her nothing will change, that you both still love her.” He tells me.

 

“Which I already know, without you telling me.” I tell him.

 

“It’s what Gus needed from Justin. Gus worried that the new babies would replace his place in Justin’s life. In the end I think he just wanted to be able to call Justin Dad.” He looks to see if it bothered me.

 

“Why wouldn’t he, Justin was there his whole life?” I ask, wondering if Brian was worried it bothered me.

 

“I just noticed that you stiffened when you heard Gus say that.” He tells me.

 

“It’s because of Jenny. Ben’s been a father to her all her life and she’s never had a reason to worry that she’ll lose a parent.” I tell him.

 

“Ben better be ready to assure her that no matter what happens, he’s still her father.” Brian tells me, but it’s like he’s warning Ben.

 

“Ben loves her and he wouldn’t abandon her.” I tell him.

 

“I’m worried about my friend, who is dealing with the end of his relationship.” Brian tells me.

 

“Your friend didn’t do what he should have to save his marriage. Ben did what he needed to do in order to be happy. Maybe someday I’ll find someone who can make me happy.” I tell him. 

 

“You will, because I don’t accept failure.” He tells me, looking at Justin.

 

“BRIAN, GET OVER HERE, THIS LITTLE GIRL SEEMS TO WANT YOU, GOD HELP HER!” Ma screams with a screaming bundle in her arms.

 

“See. I trained my babies well.” Brian gets up rushing to get his daughter.

 

I walked over with and put my arm around Justin’s shoulders, “You realize that those girls are going to be spoiled rotten.” I tell him.

 

“It’s Brian, what did you really expect him to do for his kids?” Justin asks me, smiling.

 

When we went back inside I realized that no one had said what Mel and Lindsay had picked as middle names, so I asked.

 

“Well, in honor of Vic, Jasmine’s middle name is Victoria and Bella’s is Maria.” Mel answers. 

 

When Deb heard the middle names, she started crying. Vic had always hated his middle name which was Marius, and Maria was the female version, and a name that he loved. “How did you know Vic’s middle name?” she asked Mel.

 

“I was his lawyer.”  

 

When we all sat around this time I held Jasmine and smiled that they added a little Vic to the girls lives. I was a little jealous because Justin even managed to make gorgeous babies, but then he always managed to accomplish anything he set out to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 41 by starlight

SIX YEARS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

When I moved to begin a new life, I never realized how much everything would change, but then I should have seen it the night my life appeared under a street light.

 

When I left my old life behind, it was not only for Justin but because I always dreamed of leaving and hitting it big in the Big Apple. Which as I've always done, was a big fat fucking success, like anything I set my mind to. It's just that unlike some people in my life, I knew Justin knew I needed him to be there with his trademark smile saying I could accomplish my dreams.  

 

With Kinnetik NY now holding it’s own, it’s time for Ted to step up and decide if he’s ready to be the one to bring Kinnetik Chicago to life. I’ve watched Theodore grow into a man who sees that being an accountant gave him a stepping stone to being a partner to a visionary. Don’t think it was my narcissism that thinks that, nope, it was Ted’s toast at the party tonight celebrating Kinnetik NY’s contribution to turning us into multimillionaires.

 

I flew everyone into celebrate the way we did when I started this journey. I think I was being nostalgic because it’s been a while for the gang and I. Ted had not only Kinnetik to run in Pittsburgh, but Babylon, with me not there. He managed it as well as he manages everything else in life. Justin and I talked about Babylon and whether to sell it when an offer came in, but Justin being the sentimental little twat he is, told me that he’ll always see it as beacon of acceptance for the people who couldn’t find it in their homes. Then went out and got Deb and Blake because as he told me, there were kids who needed a place they could go during the day. He said if we enclosed the bars, and put showers in out of the way, we could offer them a place to find help, get a shower and a meal, without being scared of being sent off to abusive homes or being taken in through a system too flooded with children to really offer the help the kids needed. Deb, who was finally retiring because as much as she loved the diner she loved being a wife more, and the idea that she and Carl could go and feed the kids and give them the acceptance they needed from an adult. Blake of course was on board and went back to school to get a degree in Social Work in order to be able to give the kids options that could get them off the street and a future with any company that would offer to mentor the kids. Ted and I set to work making Justin’s idea into a reality. Next year the first of the group of teens are starting jobs in fields that they were mentored in. Justin could never sit back and hope something would turn out right, instead he’d fight no matter what obstacles were in his way. It’s how he fought for me and now seems to want to fight for the rest of the world. He started a comic about a man who lost everything but his superpowers, but through watching other people do the things he did, managed to change his life and help others in their lives. I asked him if Michael realizes what Justin did.

 

“Please, he always wanted to be six two and built like a brick shit house, I’m only giving him what he fantasized he could be.” Justin tells me.

 

Michael, instead of getting offended, told me that he could see how he held Justin back with Rage. Justin’s comic sold out in two weeks and the second didn’t even make it to the printers before the online orders necessitated tripling the amount that were being printed. Michael had started advertising it in his issues of Rage when Justin sent him the draft of the first edition. Michael and Justin managed to become friends again without letting the past be a part of it.

 

Michael and Ben sat Jenny down and explained that although they weren’t going to be together they were still her fathers. Jenny left the room telling them that she didn’t want her fathers to live apart. She came to me in tears because she didn’t understand how they couldn’t love each other the way Mel, Lindsay, Justin, and I all did. I was proud of Mikey when he didn’t wait for me to handle it, but took his daughter outside and explained to her that he made it impossible for Ben to stay with him, but Jenny was so special that Ben couldn’t leave her. Ben started having doubts when he saw the Michael he’s always wanted, but Michael stopped Ben from making another mistake by leaving Wes, who loved Ben. I’m really proud of my Best Friend for putting others first.

 

As for Michael, he found a partner without realizing said partner spent years being interested. Jeff spent years drawing me but waiting for Michael to see him. At least when Michael did it was when he could be the kind of partner someone needed. They’ve been together for two years and Mikey’s been happy, I couldn’t have asked for more for him.

 

Emmett and Drew are still going strong. Emmett and Darren decided to keep the business in both locations. So since Drew retired he just followed Emmett everywhere he needed to be. It was when Drew went to help with Justin’s project that he and Emmett got a surprise in two teen siblings who Drew thought needed them. Lisa and Alex had been stopping by Babylon each day for food and a place to clean up. Drew was curious as to why they were on their own. When questioned, Lisa tried to take Alex away, but Deb managed to stop them and Lisa explained that their father thought beating Alex was a way to get him to man up. Lisa took her brother and ran to save him. You can guess how I felt when I heard, but you don’t want to know what it took to keep Drew from killing the guy when he went to ask the father to allow him to foster both Lisa and Alex. I’m just glad that Drew had us bring a social worker with us when the man spewed the way he wanted to take care of Alex’s problems. Emmett, who was planning the wedding of year in Maine, had no clue what had been going on, until he came home to a new family of his own. Of course we all know Emmett, and he just decided that having two kids was fabulous.

 

So now I’m in the family mobile with Justin, watching him look as if the world was coming to an end, like we didn’t do this with Gus and Jenny. Yes, my little girls are about to start their first day without me there, it’s not the end but the beginning of a new world for them. Getting out of the car Justin asked the girls to stand for a picture, because we don’t already have a picture of them for every last moment of this morning.

 

 

It was time for them to go to their first day. I thought I was ready for this.

 

“Brian, you’ve meet the entire staff, including the janitor, so let them go.” Justin tells me, pulling me back to the car.

 

“Seriously, you raised them to be confident that everyone loves them, they can handle this.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Oh My God, is that a tear in your eye?” Mel laughs.

 

“It's allergies.” I tell them, wanting to stay and watch our babies become the success I know they are.



THE END

End Notes:

Thanks for reading this and enjoying it.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=755