Doggy Style by brandi1111
Summary:

doggystyle.jpg

Brian and Justin get what they were missing, Michael gets what he deserves. Sequel to Here Kitty Kitty.


Categories: QAF US Characters: None
Tags: Anti-Michael
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: Spirit Guides
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 13801 Read: 2514 Published: Jan 20, 2017 Updated: Jan 20, 2017
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by brandi1111

Chapter 1 by brandi1111

doggystyle.jpg

Halloween two years after Here Kitty Kitty


Doggy Style

By: Brandi1111

 

The October after Joey started school was a busy time for the Taylor-Kinney family. Brian and Justin refused to attend the annual Harvest Festival at the GLC in an attempt to avoid pissing off any more spirit guides. Justin was content to take Joey trick or treating and drag Brian along for the ride. Brian openly complained about the crowds of breeders and tacky costumes but privately anticipated Justin’s kinky costume choices for their own party later. Brian had fond memories of blue gauzy wings and last year’s belly dancer ensemble. Brian still thought he looked hot in his Arabian Nights costume, black leather was a particular favorite of his. He always did enjoy tying Justin up like a good little slave boy.

“Brian, you need to get ready to go. We only have an hour till trick or treating. We have to drop off the boxes of candy and prizes to Debbie for the GLC festival. Emmett and Scarlett are meeting us at my mother’s so we can all go trick or treating together. Joey is staying with mom tonight so we can have the rest of the night to ourselves,” Justin says quickly as he runs around their house gathering things together.

“Slow down, Sunshine. Joey has been wearing his costume for an hour. The boxes of shit for the GLC are already in the SUV. We have to drop them at the festival because Deb is working the late shift at the Diner. Linds is going to meet us there to receive the boxes of shit. Why the fuck did we buy all that crap anyway? Is Emmett going to dress that dog up again? Last year we had to stop every five seconds so people could pet the little mongrel and say how cute she is. It took forever. I love tricking with costumes as much as the next fag but give me a fucking break. They had matching drag outfits; tangerine sequins are not a good look on anyone not even a dog,” Brian grimaces at the memory of Emmett in a hideous floor length evening gown. Justin stops short and looks at Brian.

“Why the fuck would we go near that festival, Brian? We bought all the candy and prize shit to keep Joey away from there specifically so the family wouldn’t harass us about not attending! We talked about this shit last year, remember? We didn’t want to tempt the spirits to take Joey away. I can’t lose our son Brian. And, Emmett dresses in drag every Halloween as a tribute to Godiva’s memory. I didn’t like the tangerine either, but this year he is going to look fantastic. He is going as the French maid Babette and Drew is going as Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast. He is even dressing Scarlett as a teacup. He wanted Ben as Gaston, Debbie as Mrs. Potts, and Ted as Cogsworth but everyone else had other plans,” Justin replies as he slowly tries to calm himself down. He couldn’t imagine his life without Joey and he never wanted to. He knew Brian would never put their family in danger, but those pesky spirits could be fickle bitches and he wasn’t taking any chances.

“Tell you what Sunshine, I will drop Joey and you at your mother’s condo then drop off the box of shit at the GLC. That way no bullshit gets started. I will meet you back there before the tricking starts,” Brian says as he slowly runs his hand up Justin’s thigh.

“You could make the alphabet sound sexual Brian. Stop calling it ‘tricking’ before Joey repeats what you say. I already had a call from his teacher this week asking what a ‘muncher’ is. I had to tell the woman Lindsay and Melanie were competitive speed eaters. I don’t think she bought it,” Justin says in his huffy ‘you’re an idiot’ tone that Brian knows so well, but with an added giggle that goes straight (well not straight exactly) to Brian’s dick. That damn giggle always turns him on. It reminds him that Justin still has the magic of youth in his heart, which is something that even a bat can not break.

Brian then proceeded to give Justin a comprehensive exam of his tonsils. Assured his Sunshine’s mouth was in full working order for later activities, he leaves for the city with his family along for the Halloween fun.

?????????????????????

Traffic across town is slow and Brian begins to worry he is going to be late for the kids portion of the night’s tricking. Liberty Avenue is packed with wall to wall enthusiasts. Halloween is a night for queers to be out, proud and free. It’s like Pride week and the White Party rolled into one. The sights, sounds, and smells are enough to make any gay man proud. Brian pulls up to the GLC and sees Lindsay waiting on the curb with a couple of leather bears.

“Brian. You finally made it. I was worried you wouldn’t make it. Are you out alone or are you meeting the guys at Babylon later?” Lindsay remarks with just a hint of bitchiness. Brian raises an eyebrow at Lindsay’s tone. He knows her. Getting over her hetero country club dream has proven to be a slow and bitter process but he isn’t in the mood for her bullshit.

“We’re taking the kid trick or treating at Mother Taylor’s with her and Molly. Justin and I are celebrating at home alone later. We’ll pick up Gus next weekend as scheduled. Are Mel and the kids still in Florida at her mother’s place?” Brian asks with as much patience as he can muster. He had stopped letting Lindsay and Michael get away with that jealous wife routine. Hell if he was ever going to marry anyone, it would be Justin not his two idiot old friends. Brian and Mel had come to a truce over the last few years and agreed to concentrate on their own relationships and raise their kids. They tried to get along and put the kids first over any petty bullshit. It hadn’t always been easy, but Gus was worth the effort. Brian loved his son and wanted to keep their relationship on good terms. But he was not going to let Lindsay’s bitterness affect Gus, Justin, or Joey. Brian meant what he said when he told her they were going to be a family and nothing was going to get in the way of that.

“They’re still in Florida. I just couldn’t refuse to chair the Festival this year so they went without me. They get back late Sunday night. Its admirable that you’re spending the holiday with Justin, Joey, and his family,” Lindsay says with false admiration. She still doesn't believe Brian is as happy living out in the wilderness with Justin and that boy as he was at the loft. She knows Brian better than anyone and he can only truly be happy with the clubs, tricks, and drugs.

Brian sees the calculating look in Lindsay’s eyes. She is off in one of her delusions again. “They are my family and there is no where on Earth I would rather be. Now, can you get these boxes of shit out of my car so I can get back to my family?” Brian says, just a bit harshly. The bears start unloading the boxes while a flustered Lindsay walks away into the building.

As Brian turns to get into the SUV he hears a voice call his name. He feels the hair on the back of his neck stand up and a cold chill go down his spine. Brian looks over to the GLC entrance at the tall gypsy drag queen that had changed his and Justin’s lives so drastically.

“Well, Brian Kinney, aren’t you a lovely sight. How is that beautiful family of yours?” the gypsy queen cackles as she saunters up to Brian with mischief in her eyes.

“They’re fine and happy just the way they are,” Brian says in a firm voice, hopefully hiding the growing panic he is feeling. The gypsy queen eyes Brian shrewdly as she reaches into the pocket of her flowing skirt. She grabs Brian’s hand and looks at his palm.

“Your path is very solid. I see strength of heart and determination for your family’s happiness in your soul. Be at ease. This night the spirit guides are pleased with your path. But be warned, a shadow from this world looms. Take these as protection from the evil that roams the hours from sun up to sundown on the morrow,” The gypsy queen divines as she hands him four bracelets identical to the ones they got a couple years ago. “The fourth bracelet will be called for like a cry in the night. Only give the protection if you are pure of intention. Remove the bracelets at this time tomorrow when the window between this world and the next closes.”

 

Brian watches as the gypsy queen walks away, barely suppressing a shudder. Justin was going to fucking kill him. He had told Brian to stay away from this place and of course the drama princess had been right. Brian does something he hasn’t done since the night of Justin’s bashing - he prays. He prays to whatever is out there in the universe, asking them to please leave his family in one piece and at peace.

??????????????????????????

Justin is enjoying a quick coffee with his mother while waiting on Brian to get back. Emmett had texted earlier saying he was running late. Justin knows that, with the holiday and weekend traffic combined, Brian will be cutting it close as well. Molly and Joey are busy watching a Halloween cartoon in the living room while munching on nutritious organic snacks.

“Mom, only you would give a kid healthy food on Halloween,” Justin laughs as he sips his coffee at the kitchen table. Jennifer is at the counter putting the finishing touches on a plate of Jack-o-lantern cookies.

“I don’t feed children junk. I gave all of my neighbors in the condo association healthy alternatives to give the kids when we hit the streets. I just said we had a hereditary allergy and since I provided the snacks everyone agreed to use them,” Jennifer responds in her no nonsense mom tone. Jennifer joins her son at the table with a cup of tea. “By the way, I got a strange call from Debbie yesterday. She wanted to know if Michael was spending the evening with us tonight. I told her no and she seemed really upset. She quickly got off the phone, but I get the feeling a lot was going on with her,” Jennifer comments as she sips her tea.

“Michael was probably filling her head with bullshit again. He’s been on a downward spiral for about 6 months now. After we sold Rage, he tried to tell everyone I cheated him. I just refused to let him sell the comic without getting my share of the royalties. It wasn’t a huge profit for either of us but the comic went to a good group of guys that have done some amazing work on it. He was pissed when he found out it's worth a lot more now than when we sold it. The artwork is really great but the stories are way better than when Michael was co-writing it. I never had the freedom to take it to the next level and after I refused to work with him anymore I decided to sell. So he blames me for him not getting rich off the comic,” Justin tells his mother in a serious tone.

“Debbie told me Ben left him after he lost some dance contest. I didn’t push to know more, but it sounded ridiculous to me,” Jennifer replies as she watches her son closely for a reaction. She had known Justin had a wild side a few years back, but as a mother she didn’t know all the details. It was part of the fun of having grown up children and watching them squirm.

Justin fidgets in his seat, then sighs. “Michael entered the King of Babylon contest last year. Unfortunately, Michael can’t dance for shit and his physical attributes have never been all that great. He was laughed off the stage and booed till he ran out crying. The guys tried to talk him out of entering, but he was determined that if this one person he knew could do it, he could too. Ben also found out Michael was taking money out of their mortgage account for his shitty store even after Ben had already refused to cover any more debt on the store. Then Ben found Michael in their bed with some guy wearing a Captain Astro costume. Ben was not pleased. He threw Michael out and filed for divorce. Michael was pissed when Brian and I refused to end our friendship with Ben and went ape shit a few months ago when he saw us out at dinner with Ben and his boyfriend,” Justin finishes with a wary eye on his mother. He knows she is going to ask but he doesn't like the question he knows is coming.

“So, Justin, who did Michael know in that contest and how do you know about Michael’s attributes?” Jennifer asks with years of practiced country club innocence.

“Our little Sunshine shook his ass in that very contest to try and make me jealous when he was just a young tyke, didn’t you Justin,” came a snarky answer from the doorway as Brian enters the kitchen and takes a seat at the table after kissing a blushing Justin. Jennifer hands Brian a cup of coffee like a good, if only thought of in secret, mother-in-law. “He won that year too. As for Michael’s attributes, the locker room at the gym doesn’t leave much to the imagination. Hence the appeal of a good sweaty workout, right Sunshine,” Brian says with a smirk as he looks at the red faced object of most of his own locker room fantasies.

“Brian, you have the most pleasant expression on your face. You must be thinking about how much you love my son,” Jennifer replies sweetly as she watches the wide eyed Brian try not to choke on his coffee. Brian knows not to poke the animals in the Taylor family zoo. They can be vicious. But Brian, being the master of words he is, decides to poke sweet Mother Taylor just a bit anyway.

“Sorry, Mother Taylor, but this expression comes from the expert fellatio your son performed this afternoon before he got here,” Brian comments as Justin spits his coffee on his mother’s once spotless kitchen table.

Jennifer narrows her eyes at Brian. Hanging out with gay men and Debbie had given Jennifer a healthy knowledge of trash talk. It was time to cut Brian off at the proverbial knees. Jennifer gave her own smirk before replying.

“I have always encouraged Justin to be the best in all he does, Brian. I’m glad he was paying attention to his oral lessons. He was an honor student after all. He gets his intelligence from my side of the family and I can firmly testify that he didn’t get his oral skills from his father’s side,” Jennifer says with such perfect manners while wiping down the table that Brian can only blink at the woman.

Jennifer stands up and declares it is time to go trick or treating. She hands Brian and Justin a flashlight to carry as she rounds up her daughter and grandson.

“Brian, if you combat my mother anymore tonight, you will not have my fellatio skills applied to you for a month,” Justin hisses at his partner as they walk to the end of his mom’s driveway.

Justin holds Joey’s hand as they cross the street to the neighbor’s house.

“Daddy, are you mad at Daddy Brian?” Joey whispers to Justin.

“No, sweetheart. I love Daddy very much. He just told a joke I didn’t think was funny. Now, go on up to the door and ring the bell. Don’t forget to say thank you,” Justin says as he glares at Brian, who looks back sheepishly.

“Hold on, Furball,” Brian says as he places one of the bracelets on Joey’s wrist and adjusts it to fit. “Do not take this off for any reason until we tell you to, ok buddy? Now, go ring the bell.” Brian and Justin watch as the little blond ball of energy runs up the driveway.

“Brian, what the hell is going on? Why the fuck did you put that on him?” Justin whispers furiously to Brian.

“I saw that gypsy queen at the GLC. She said we were good on the spirit side but something on this side was looming over us. She gave me the bracelets and said to wear them until tomorrow night at sundown after some window closes. So we fucking wear them, not taking any chances here, Justin. She also gave me a fourth bracelet and said to use it ‘after a cry in the night and with pure thoughts’ or some shit. I didn’t even go in the fucking building. That bitch followed me to the car. I am so sorry, Justin,” Brian says as he puts a bracelet on Justin’s wrist. The bracelet feels warm and smooth against Justin’s skin. He watches as Brian puts a bracelet around his own wrist.

“We just have to have faith, Brian. We love Joey and each other. We are a strong family and we will not let anything or anyone change that,” Justin says as he wraps his arms around the tall brunet. Brian was once again amazed at the determination and fire in those azure blue eyes. He never needs much to remind him of how lucky he is to have this amazing man in his life.

Jennifer observes the couple from the shadows of the neighbor’s front porch. Whatever they are discussing looks serious, but the affection of their embrace shows her that they will face anything together. She knows they are a very strong couple and nothing will tear them apart again. She also knows if they linger too long the PDA will turn X-rated on her neighbor’s front lawn. The image of spraying them down with a water hose makes her chuckle as she wrangles the kids and sex addicts down the street to the next house.

Brian catches sight of Emmett and Drew coming around the corner. No one could mistake that southern sashay for anyone but Emmett.

“Hey everyone! Sorry we’re late, but traffic is worse than the ladies’ room at a drag convention. Well, don’t you two look so cute,” Emmett squeals as he looks at Molly’s rocker chick costume and Joey’s astronaut suit.

“Auntie Em, what are you? You look like a pretty bird,” Joey wonders as he looks at Emmett with awe.

“I am ‘Babette’ and Uncle Drewsie is ‘Lumiere’ from Beauty and the Beast,” Emmett replies as he puts his arm around Drew. “Scarlett was going to be Chip the teacup but she refused to wear the costume.”

Everyone exchanges greetings as the kids portion of the evening continues.

emmett halloween.jpg

?????????????????????????

The Harvest Festival is already in full swing when Michael stumbles into the GLC building later that night. His disheveled appearance and slurred speech immediately arouse suspicions that he is high as a kite. He barks at the game attendants and complains about the noise. He wanders around until he was pulled into the fortune teller booth.

“Hey, don’t pull on me. I’m not paying good money for some bullshit palm reader to lie about what a great future I have,” Michael slurs as he falls onto the stool in front of the table set with a crystal ball and tarot cards.

 

The gypsy queen eyes Michael with distaste. Sometimes being a vessel for the spirit world is a real shit job. But when the Guides call, she will listen. She has seen the angry little man bark and snap at everyone around Liberty Avenue. She also knows that he all but humps his best friend's leg and had been trying for years to get his own way. Kinney is exactly where the spirits want him to be. No barking, snapping, leg humping, angry little man will be allowed to interfere with the Guides’ plan for Kinney and Taylor. The gypsy queen chuckles as she receives the spirit’s message loud and clear.

“Your path has been blocked by self-destruction. The gifts you have been given have been thrown away in anger. You covet what you cannot have and destroy that which you did. The Guides do not like interference with their plans. Until you learn the lesson of humility you will not find redemption. Learn from your mistakes or stay forever as what you will become. Now go away,” the gypsy queen delivers the message. No one ever said it had to be done nicely.

Michael stumbles out of the GLC and staggers down the street. He feels something squish under the bottom of his shoe. He looks down and discovers a big pile of dog shit under his foot. It just fucking figures, he thinks, as he hops over to wipe his foot on some near by grass. His day had already gone to shit anyway. His boss at the department store, had busted him down to stock clerk after he was rude to a customer in his cashier line. His mom was nagging at him about money for rent and food. He blew most of his last paycheck on a vintage comic book on eBay that turned out to be a fake. He hasn’t seen Brian in two months and it’s all that asshole Justin’s fault.

The blond twink stole everything from him. Justin had Michael’s life. Michael was supposed to have Brian’s love and support. That little fucker stole everything: Brian, the comic he created, the house, and the money. Brian was supposed to take care of him, but he had his nose so far up Justin’s ass he couldn’t see Michael’s need for him.

Michael decides to get a pick me up and a fifth of vodka to keep him company for the rest of the night. He heads to the liquor store and his favorite dealer. He gets a couple of poppers and his bottle and goes home. He drinks himself stupid and sings bad love songs to Brian until he passes out.

????????????????????

Debbie gets a call at midnight telling her that her fucking dog is howling and she needs to shut it up. She says she doesn’t have a fucking dog and she’s working till three am, so fuck off.

????????????????????

Brian and Justin leave Mother Taylor’s condo and head back to their house. Justin has planned their night down to the minute. They arrive home and enter the house through the front door. Justin makes Brian go straight upstairs to the guest room to change into his outfit for the night’s entertainment. Brian discovers black leather pants, a midnight blue satin vest, and a blue bow tie. Justin has written a note telling him to meet him down in the dining room.

Brian enters the dining room to find Justin wearing gold leather pants, a gold satin vest, and a gold bow tie. Justin is standing next to a fully set table with a catered dinner for two.

“I’m not quite the Belle to your Beast, Brian. I am more a beau than a beauty. I know this is a little more romantic in nature than you were expecting, but the risqué part will come a little later. I just wanted to celebrate the night in a special way,” Justin says with the full smile he is famous for. He walks over to Brian and hands him a single red rose. “Belle showed the Beast he was still a man that could love no matter what he had become. Life was not pretty at the castle for the Beast, but Belle showed him joy and trust. In return, the Beast was willing to sacrifice everything for Belle’s happiness and that redemption turned him into a strong loving man. Now, in our situation, who is the Beauty and who is the Beast is debatable, but love and redemption are for both of us. So sit down and eat with me and we will celebrate our love tonight,” Justin continues as he starts to sit at his place at their table. “For your dining pleasure and, following a strict no carbs rule, we have a light salad and grilled salmon entrée. We also have a light sorbet with fresh fruit, if we’re so inclined later.”

“You are such a sentimental twat. Not bad Sunshine,” Brian says, his voice a little thick with emotion. Justin interprets that statement to mean I love you very much and the meal is excellent.

After the meal and a little slow dancing to a few Celine Dion songs, they head to their bedroom for the risqué portion of the evening. The evening was ever the same, ever a surprise, ever as before, ever just as sure as the sun will rise to the love of this couple like a tale as old as time. A well sated Brian held a well-loved Justin tightly to his chest as the couple fell asleep many well used hours later.

??????????????????

The night turned cold and stormy (doesn’t it always?). Lightning lit up the night sky and thunder shook the windows. The wind howled against the trees like a freight train rushing down the tracks. Brian was jolted out of a deep sleep just as a particularly loud clap of thunder hit. He went downstairs to check the windows and doors just because he was feeling rather manly after such an active night with Justin. He was checking the back door when he noticed, through the window in the door, a box sitting on their back porch. The box was soaked and starting to collapse in on itself.

Brian opened the door and reached for the box. He pulled it into the kitchen, cursing at the wet trail the thing was leaving on his kitchen floor. He knelt down and opened the box. The box had a wet towel that was shaking and whimpering. Brian lifted the towel and was shocked to find a small wet rat occupying the box. He snatched his hand back and peered at the wet rat over the lid of the box. He heard the little rat start to cry and realized it wasn’t a rat at all. He lifted the small puppy out of the box and felt it shiver and snuggle into the warmth of his hand.

Brian grabbed a kitchen towel and wrapped the little puppy up to keep it warm. He headed up stairs to Joey’s bathroom to run the small dog a warm bath. He washed the dog with some of Joey’s tearless shampoo and then decided to attempt to blow dry the puppy to warm it up faster. Brian looked in the right area and judged the puppy to be a girl. After the dog was dry he took her back down stairs so as not to wake up Justin. His Sunshine would be crushed if the little dog didn’t make it through the night. Brian grabbed a basket out of the living room and lined its bottom with newspaper. He wrapped the puppy in a dry dish towel and placed her in the basket.

Brian grabbed some milk and warmed it in the microwave. He found a medicine dropper, they used for Joey, in the drawer of the island. Brian wasn’t sure if dogs could eat cow’s milk, but it was all he had to work with. He was able to get her to take a few droppers full before she pulled away from it. Brian held the little dog to his chest as he took the basket and went into the living room. He put her in the basket, laid it beside the sofa and covered himself with an afghan from the back of the sofa.

The little puppy was whimpering when Brian started to close his eyes. He reached into the basket and put the puppy on his bare chest. He was mesmerized by her bright blue eyes and soft auburn fur. He reached for his cell phone and took her picture. He would at least have that if she didn’t make it. The thought of her not making it made his stomach hurt and his heart clench. If a former miserable bastard like him could find love and happiness, why couldn’t a sweet little puppy? Brian was deep in thought when he heard her cry out. She jolted awake from her nightmare and had tears welling in her pretty blue eyes.

“No more tears, little one. I’ll protect you. No one will hurt you again,” Brian whispered to the little puppy in a soothing manner. Brian looked at the portrait of Justin, Joey, Gus and himself from last spring that was hanging over the mantle above the fireplace. He loved that picture. It was taken at the beach by Mother Taylor. His family was smiling and happy. It was more than he’d ever had in his nightmare of a childhood. He thought about JR and how much Michael was missing in his daughter’s life. A little girl needed her daddy to chase away monsters, imaginary and real. Michael hardly ever saw his daughter. If Brian had a little girl, he would never let the world hurt her. Brian looked at the clock and realized it was four am. He was tired and needed sleep.

He picked up the basket and headed to the upstairs guest room. He laid down with the puppy on his chest when he felt something cold and hard under his hip. He picked up the fourth bracelet, which must have fallen out of his pocket when he was changing clothes earlier. He looked at the bracelet and at the puppy. He wondered if they could really be blessed twice. Brian knew that Justin loved him and Gus, but Joey was Justin’s everything. Could he pray for a blessing that he’d not even discussed with Justin?

Brian decided that the spirits had done the right thing before, so he left the decision in their hands. They had given him Justin, Gus, Joey and a wonderful life. He would take their decision and be grateful for what was coming or what he already had for the rest of his days. His last thought before he fell asleep was, if she comes, I hope she has Justin’s eyes.

Justin was across the hall in a deep sleep. He always slept like the dead when it was cold. He was drifting in the elusive state between dreams and oblivion. He could see the princess bed, the ballet slippers, and bright blue eyes. He could hear the tinkling of a little girl’s laughter. He could feel the tears from a skinned knee, broken hearts, and bad hair days. He could feel the tearing and it made his heart clench. He settled into a deeper sleep with a last thought of soft brown hair like Brian’s.

???????????????

Justin awakens the next morning to a cold bedside where his partner should be. It is before eight am, so Brian should still be sleeping in on a Sunday. Justin goes downstairs to find Brian, but all he finds is a wet box, wet towels, and a bowl of milk in the kitchen. He looks around the living room at the pile of magazines in the chair but finds their wicker basket is missing. Justin sees Brian’s cell phone on the table and checks the history. It’s open to his photo gallery and the last picture is of a small blue eyed puppy looking at the camera while sitting on Brian’s chest. The picture was taken at three am the night before.

Justin is confused as hell. He checks the garage. Both cars are still in the driveway. Brian hasn’t left the house, but where the hell is he? Where had the puppy come from? He finishes checking the downstairs then goes back upstairs. Justin checks Joey and Gus’s rooms. He finds the mess in the hall bathroom. He is about to open the door to the guest room when he hears a small noise from behind the door. He opens the door slowly and sees Brian sleeping in the bed. The room is still dark on this side of the house. Justin creeps closer to the basket that is on the floor to see if the mystery puppy is in there. A movement from the bed catches his attention.

Justin is stunned when a little head lifts off Brian’s chest. A riot of brown curls and big blue eyes stare at Justin as he moves closer to the bed. Justin plops on the bed with an ungraceful thump. He carefully turns on the bedside lamp and the little person blinks at the light. Justin reaches for the little person with shaky hands. He isn’t dreaming or delusional. The little person is really there. He smiles at the baby and is surprised when the baby smiles back.

The baby looks at the pretty blond man with interest. He has sweet eyes and a kind smile. He reaches for her, so she lets him pick her up. He is soft and smells nice.

Justin notices the baby is naked under the blanket so he picks up what turns out to be a ‘her’. She is wearing one of Brian’s  protective bracelets around her wrist. He opens the closet door and grabs a box of JR’s extra clothes. He takes the little girl into Joey’s room in search of a pull-up. It’s the closest they have to a diaper in the house since Joey occasionally still has an accident. He finds a few stashed in a drawer and puts one on the baby. He puts a pair of Joey’s smaller Superhero underwear on her as well for extra protection. He puts a pair of socks on her cold feet to keep her warm. Justin puts her in one of JR’s old, long-sleeved sweatshirts. It fits the baby like a dress. He’s just happy he hasn’t been peed on.

Justin sits back on the bed in the guest room and shakes Brian awake. Brian looks at him with one bleary eye open and grunts.

“Brian? Would you care to explain this?” he says as he indicates the little girl on his lap, happily sucking her thumb.

“She needed tender, loving, care,” Brian says with a garbled, still-asleep jumble.

“Did you say ‘tiernan kara’?” Justin says dumb founded. “Brian, wake up. Now!” Justin says louder, mindful not to scare the baby but needing answers.

Brian sits bolt upright in the bed and stares at the little girl in Justin’s arms. “Holy shit! It worked! Is she real or am I dreaming?” Brian asks as he gapes at Justin.

“She is very real. Where did you get a baby from, Brian? She was sleeping on your chest when I came in this morning,” Justin says slowly and with great care so his partner will understand every word.

“There was a storm last night. I was checking the back door when I found a box on the back porch. A tiny half drowned puppy was inside. I washed her, dried her, and fed her. Then I came in here so I didn’t wake you up. She was very weak. I didn’t know if the puppy was going to make it. I was thinking about our family, JR, and how little girls need their daddies. I decided to put the bracelet on the puppy and let the spirits decide our fates because of how good life is now with Joey. But I honestly wanted this outcome, Sunshine. She’s beautiful and she has your eyes. I just wanted her so much, but I was worried to ask for something like this without talking to you first. You do want to keep her, don’t you?” Brian asks as he looks at the little girl in Justin’s arms.

Justin has never seen Brian look so vulnerable. “Of course I want her. She looks just like you. How could I not want to keep her? Looks like we have a daughter,” Justin smiles that megawatt smile that lights up Brian’s world. Justin carefully sets the little girl in Brian’s arms.

“Here, hold her. We need to move fast. We can’t just show up at my mother’s to pick up Joey with a new baby. She needs a name and baby stuff. Call your friend - the one who makes all those documents - like the one’s we got for Joey,” Justin commands as his mouth and mind run a mile a minute.

“Slow down, Sunshine. Breakfast and coffee first, then we make plans,” Brian states as he lifts the little girl to his chest and he carefully maneuvers out of the bed.

??????????????????????????

Michael awakes to a feeling of something crawling on him. He reaches to scratch the itch but can not get his hand to that part of his back. Michael opens his eyes, only to discover he can’t see. He wiggles around until his hair is out of his face. His head hurts and he has a horrible taste in his mouth. He wonders why his mouth tastes like he’s been licking a pair of nasty balls. He doesn’t remember going to bed but he knows a hangover when he feels one. The sudden loud banging on his bedroom door makes Michael fall off the bed.

“MICHAEL CHARLES NOVOTNY, get your ass up! You have to be at work in 30 minutes,” Debbie screeches as she opens the bedroom door. Debbie jumps back as she views the mangy mutt on her son’s bedroom floor. The thing has bugged out, psychotic eyes, dirty matted fur with bald spots in some places, and drool dripping out of its mouth. “What the fuck? Where the hell did you come from?” Debbie screeches again as she eyes the creepy little beast with fleas jumping off it. She looks around the room but doesn’t see her son anywhere.

“Maw, stop fucking yelling! I just woke up and my head hurts. I don’t need your shit right now,” Michael yells at his mom.

Debbie hears the creepy little beast growling and snapping at her. She backs out of the room and yells for Carl. Michael doesn’t understand what the fuck is going on. His mom had looked at him like he was an alien from the planet Voltar. He finally looks down at a pair of paws and realizes they were attached to him. He’s turned into some kind of animal like the guy in Beast Man, from the Nebula Galaxy, Issue 403, Volume 12, from 1972.

Michael yells for his mom and he hears the door being thrown open. Carl looks down at the yowling mangy dog. The crazy looking thing gives him the creeps and he wants it the hell out of his house.

He circles around the back of the nasty dog and throws a blanket over the yapping little mutt. Carl snatches up the dog, takes it downstairs, and shoves it into the back yard.

“Where do you think that creepy thing came from? We’ll have to fumigate the house now, even the fleas were trying to get away from the dirty thing. Michael wasn’t in his room this morning, so I don’t understand how it got in,” Debbie asks Carl as she starts making their breakfast. She tells him about the call she had at work about a dog barking at about midnight.

“I’m not sure where the dog came from, but I will go check Michael’s room,” Carl responds as he heads for the stairs.

Carl finds the empty bottle of vodka and a cellophane bag with some drug residue in it. He also discovers Michael’s work clothes from the day before and the clothes he had on when he left the house the prior night, scattered around the room. A search of the jean’s pocket reveals Michael’s wallet, house keys, and a receipt from the liquor store time stamped for last night. The veteran detective concludes that Michael had been home last night but must have left again, high and drunk. Now all he has to do is tell his wife that her son had left the house fucked up and Carl doesn’t know where he went. It is going to be a for shit day. He can feel it in his bones.

Carl comes down to his wife who is yelling at the dog to shut the fuck up and quit scratching at their door. “Call animal control and tell them to come get that damn thing. It’s driving me fucking nuts. It’s cold and wet outside, but that thing is not coming back in. Although, we can at least give it some water and food,” Debbie says as she sets the table for breakfast. “I have to get to work. Did you find anything in Michael’s room?”  

“I found his work clothes and party clothes from yesterday. He left his wallet and keys in the pocket. He had a bottle of vodka and some kind of drugs on his bed. He was here, but he must have left pretty fucked up, based on the state of his room and the empty booze bottle. I have no idea where he went. I am sorry,” Carl tells his wife as she starts to serve his breakfast.

“I would call his cell phone but it’s cut off since he didn’t pay the fucking bill. I don’t know what is going on in my fucking kid’s head but he is gonna get a slap for leaving that damn dog in my house. He lied to me about his plans for last night. He told me he was going to hang out with Brian at Babylon. Emmett told me at the Diner Friday, that Drew and him were meeting the Asshole and Sunshine at Jen’s place, before they headed to the costume contest at Woody’s. I called Jen to confirm the story and I think she thought I was a fucking moron. She said they were taking Joey and Molly trick or treating in her neighborhood, but had no plans for Michael to attend. In fact, she said she believed they hadn’t talked to Michael for several months,” Debbie finishes between mouthfuls as she removes their plates from the table.

Carl knew why Brian and Justin didn’t speak to Michael anymore. Michael had gone all over town, telling anyone who would listen that Justin had cheated him when they sold that comic. Carl heard Mel telling Ted about Michael’s bullshit story and how he hardly ever saw JR. Mel had been Michael’s lawyer on the comic book deal and Ted handled Justin’s money so they would know. Carl respected Brian because he stopped letting his best friend get away with trashing Justin. Carl may not approve of some of their lifestyle choices, like the tricking, but they were a strong couple. He also thinks Brian and Justin are great parents. As a cop, his instincts about people are good, and if he ever thought any child was at risk he would take action. As far as anyone in the family could say, Brian and Justin never displayed their sexcapades in front of their kids, so Carl didn’t care what they did behind their bedroom door. Well, or any other area they were rumored to inhabit, he thought with a chuckle.

“I have to go into work. I have an early tour while you have the early shift at the Diner. I’ll have a few of the boys that have rounds on Liberty keep an eye out for Michael. I’m sure he will turn up,” Carl says as he kisses his wife and leaves the table to get ready for work. “Leave a bowl of water and food on the table and I’ll give it to the dog before I leave. Have a good day, Honey. See you tonight. I will call animal control from the station”

“Thanks Carl. Be safe and see you tonight,” Debbie remarks as she searches in the refrigerator for the leftover chicken to give to the yapping mutt scratching her door to hell.

Debbie is worried about her son but he’s a grown man. He hopefully is just sleeping off a night of booze and drugs at a date’s house. He had become so out of control. She has to step back and let him make his own mistakes. Carl has helped her to realize she can’t fix or clean up all her son’s problems anymore. It was a hard fight to stop herself from rescuing her boy, but it is time he got his shit together. He lost Ben and Hunter by his own stupidity, then tried to blame everybody else. He refused to give up his crush on Brian and went out of his way to be nasty to Justin. She is proud of Brian for supporting his partner and sons. Her adopted son had become a good man. She hopes her birth son will too.

Carl hears the front door shut as he finishes getting ready for work. He grabs the two bowls and heads out the front door to the back of the house. He places the bowls on the ground after he opens the back gate.  

“Eat up dog because in a few hours, animal control is coming to get your yapping ass. Looking at you, this might be your last meal. Animal control puts psychotic animals to sleep,” Carl tells the mangy dog as he shakes his head. He wants to feel sorry for the mutt but it is growling, snapping, and foaming at the mouth. He’s afraid it might have rabies or something worse. Carl shuts the back gate and heads to work in his police cruiser.

Michael can’t believe he is being treated this way. This is his mother’s house. Carl has no right to throw him out into the backyard. That old bastard has gone too far. He is gonna kick his ass just as soon as he has his feet back. What the fuck had he said about animal control putting him to sleep? Michael starts to panic when he realizes Carl said he was a dog and animal control euthanizes dogs. He runs to the end of the back yard and scurries under a hole in the fence. He is so fucking out of here.

Michael runs in the direction of the Diner. He needs to find his mother. No way is his mom letting anyone put him to sleep. Michael wishes Brian was there. Brian always used to help fix his problems and protect him. This is that blond twink’s fault, Michael thinks as he narrowly misses a car tire on the street.  

“Get him!” Michael hears as footsteps pound on the ground behind him. Looking backwards he sees the group of thirteen-year-old punks that has been terrorizing the neighborhood running after him fast. He runs as fast as he can but doesn’t make it a full block before he feels his tail grabbed.

“Take it in the alley. We can do it there,” punk fucker number one says. The little bastards bring him into the alley. He tries to bite the one holding him but gets a smack to the head.

“Don’t hurt the thing. It’s just supposed to be a damn joke. You can go to jail for hurting animals. Even one as fucked up looking as this one,” Punk fucker number three says to punk fucker number two, who is holding him.

Punk fucker number one takes a can of neon green paint out of his pocket. He sprays the fur on top of Michael’s head. Then punk fucker number three sprays his tail with neon orange.

“You little bastards! If I had hands I would kick your damn asses. I am so going to get you for this. Just you wait,” Michael screeches as he twists his body around and snaps at his kidnappers. The bastard finally drops him and Michael scurries off down the alleyway, hiding under a dumpster. Michael holds very still till he hears the gang of little bastards run off in the other direction. He figures he will just wait there for a little while to make sure they don’t come back.

?????????????????????????

Justin is making a simple breakfast of eggs, toast, and coffee while Brian sits at the kitchen island holding the baby. He steals glances at Brian as he watches him coo and cuddle the little girl. She really is a beautiful little thing. She doesn’t look older than a year.

“She needs a name, Brian. We can’t call her Puppy,” Justin says with a giggle. Brian still calls Joey, Fluffball or Furball, even after two years. “I also think we need to stick to the same private out of state adoption story that we used for Joey.”

“I agree. I’ll get in touch with the document guy on Monday. It will be expensive but I’ll put it in as a rush order. We can just withdraw the money from our personal account and fake the paperwork for Ted to explain it as adoption costs. He won’t ask for details if I tell him to get the adoption credit on our taxes. The document guy gets legitimate social security numbers, so a new tax deduction will please Ted and should stand up under scrutiny. Joey’s paperwork was impeccable, so I think it will be fine,” Brian agrees as he rubs his new daughter’s back. “You name the things in this family. You should pick hers.”

Justin finishes plating their breakfast after cutting some fresh fruit into a bowl. He fixes the baby a sippy cup of milk hoping to avoid the need for a bottle. “I want to name her, Tiernan Kara Taylor-Kinney. We can call her Tee-Kay,” Justin says after a few minutes of careful thought. “She will have something in common with JR and a nickname like Joey. It was a big adjustment for Gus, JR, and Joey in the beginning. I want all the kids to get along and a new baby changes the whole sibling dynamic they have grown used to.”

“Where did you get a name like Tiernan from? It sounds Irish, but I don’t know,” Brian asks, confused. Justin has a knack for naming things like their house and his agency, but this was unusual.

“I heard it from a hot guy when he mumbled in his sleep. It just stuck with me,” Justin smiles a little smirk at the jealous flash that comes across Brian’s eyes. “That’s what you said when I asked you who she was this morning,” Justin clarifies with a laugh.

Brian thinks back then chuckles “I thought I said ‘tender, love, and care’. So I guess the name does fit. But not that ‘TK’ crap. My little Princess is a lady. Not one of Mikey’s dumbass comic characters. Mel told me Jenny hates being called ‘JR’ because so many people were calling her junior. We need to go get her some stuff don’t we?” Brian says as he feeds Tiernan a bite of eggs. She eats the eggs with exuberance before sucking on the sippy cup he hold to her lips. “She may look like me but she has your appetite, Sunshine”

“A healthy appetite is a sign of good health in a baby. It also shows she feels safe and secure with us. I am supposed to have a late brunch with my mother before I pick up Joey. You and Tiernan can go shopping while I’m gone. She can use Joey’s old car seat that’s still in the garage. It adjusts for her size until we can get her one. I’ll make you a list of basic stuff to get her in town, while I get the major stuff in the city. We can convert the guest room for her later this week,” Justin declares as he removes their empty plates and loads the dishwasher. He can’t remember Brian ever looking more content. Justin knows he loves the boys, but the way Brian is looking at Tiernan with such awe, is heartwarming.

“I don’t think we should tell Joey about the puppy thing. He doesn’t mention the cat incident anymore, so I think it’s better to let sleeping puppies lie,” Brian says as he lifts a sleeping Tiernan up and heads upstairs to get ready for their first father/daughter shopping trip.

Justin heads to Brian’s home office to make a list of basic things for Brian to get in town. He spends the next hour putting a big dent in their credit card, ordering furniture and baby items online with a rush delivery fee. He knows his label queen partner is going to widen the dent when he hits a few of the baby boutiques in town. Brian only wants their kids to wear the best, but hopefully function will equal out with fashion when Brian’s shopping spree is over. Brian had called Tiernan a little lady, but Justin wanted her to be comfortable too.

Justin heads upstairs to change and finds a soaking wet Brian bathing a slippery Tiernan in the hall bathroom. Justin wraps a giggling Tiernan in a towel to get her dressed, while Brian finishes his shower in their ensuite. He dresses her in some more of Jenny’s clothes and a pull-up. He makes a mental note to tell Brian to stop and get her some diapers before anything else. Baby pee in his partner’s car will not make for a harmonious shopping trip. Brian would still not let Justin live down the moldy french fry he found in the back seat last summer.

Justin walks into their bedroom with a dressed Tiernan on his hip. He glimpses the beautiful sight of Brian’s naked ass in the shower stall. He sets Tiernan on the floor and closes the doors. He is amazed as she crawls after him to their walk in closet. He changes his clothes and waits for Brian to finish his shower. After Brian is dressed, they go downstairs to adjust the car seat and then part ways with a slightly less than G-rated kiss.   

Brian, remembering Justin’s warning, stops at the first grocery store where he finds diapers and wipes, juice, and snacks. Next, Brian heads for the high end baby store in town. He is a shopping label-master, but not so much for little girls. He doesn’t want Princess pastels or muncher chic either. The kindly, knowledgeable sales clerk helps him pick out the right sizes and sturdier wardrobe pieces. The store clerk is no fool. She recognizes Prada jeans, Gucci loafers, and a Hugo Boss leather jacket when it walks into her store. As soon as possible, Tiernan is changed into jeans, a t-shirt, shoes, and a lightweight jacket in her size. The sales lady even puts a cute bow in her soft brown curls. The label queen in Brian relaxes once his baby girl is properly attired. Brian leaves the store with Tiernan, a new wardrobe, eight pairs of shoes, hair accessories, a leather diaper bag, and a plush brown puppy dog clutched in his daughter’s hand. The sales clerk is delighted with the commission she makes and hopes this little girl’s father comes back often. Not being a fool, she makes sure to give him her card and puts his family on the store’s priority mailing list.

tiernan.jpg

Brian then heads to the children’s store at the outlet mall. He is amazed at how much fun he is having buying things for his little girl. He remembers Justin’s joy that first day buying things for Joey and is grateful he now has shared the experience. He has a sales guy follow him around the store with a basket so he can purchase the items on Justin’s list. Brian picks a car seat, playpen, high chair, and an activity center, while he pushes Tiernan in a new stroller. Several toy choices for all his kids later, he is at the register, denting their credit card just as Justin predicted.

After leaving the outlet mall, Brian heads to the upscale jewelry store next door. He browses the glass cases while Tiernan munches on a toddler biscuit. Brian makes his selections much to the delight of yet another sales clerk. He is informed his special order will be delivered to his office, as requested, by the end of business Friday.

In the city, Justin is raiding a children’s department store as well. He picks several bedding sets that are neutral yet feminine. He plans to add more feminine touches to Tiernan’s room with décor items. He chooses butterfly wall plaques, lamps, and a rug in teals and browns to match the white furniture he had ordered. He arranges for a castle shaped toy box and bookshelves to be delivered later in the week. He rounds out the cart with baby hygiene supplies, dinnerware, and other incidentals.

Justin heads to his favorite art store to replenish his stock before heading to his mother’s for a late brunch. He hears Joey laughing behind the door before it becomes all quiet. Joey’s new game is to jump from behind a door and yell ‘BOO’. It could be a little unnerving, as Debbie had found out when Joey scared the hell out of her last month at a family dinner and she dropped a pan of lasagna on her foot. They started having family dinners at alternating family member’s homes last year when more space became a necessity. Justin suspects the gang’s refusal to be around Michael has also contributed to the changes in venue. Justin opens the door, prepared for his scare, which he gets. After a lovely brunch with his mother and sister, Justin and Joey get to the park before journeying home.

??????????????????????????

“Well, looky what we have here boys. That’s a fine looking piece of tail you have, Sweet Cheeks. Come on out so we can play,” a callous voice leers as a wet nose prods his ass.

Michael yelps and he shoots out from under the dumpster. He is terrified as the big Doberman stalks towards him. That big ass dog looks meaner than any of Babylon’s leather daddies. The fucking dog is even wearing a studded leather collar.

“Don’t fucking touch me. I will not put up with shit from some stupid stray dogs. Now beat it before I get really mad,” Michael yells with as much confidence as he can muster. His heart drops when he sees a trio of rats laughing at him from under a nearby trash can lid.

“He might have a sweet tail, but he gots one fucked up face, man. I wouldn’t fuck that with his head stuck in a hole,” a cock-eyed bull dog laughs out.

“Damn! He tore up from the floor up. I wouldn’t fuck him for a whole pile of dog bones. Who are you telling to beat it, Fugly? This here is our alley, we run this,” the bow legged boxer huffs in disgust before sniffing at a pile of garbage bags.

“He isn’t pretty but that tail smells brand new. I smell sweet virgin ass. But it seems Sweet Cheeks needs to be schooled. Didn’t your momma teach you manners boy? I rule this bitch. I am the Stud Dog of Liberty Avenue. Everyone bends over for me,” Cujo the Leather Doberman barks out as he bares his teeth at Michael.

“Pleeeaaasse don’t hurt me. You don’t want me. I have fleas and worms. I have ticks on my balls and maggots in my nose. I got rabies in my mouth and the mange on my skin. I got shit that will make your dick shrivel up and fall off. You really, really don’t want my ass. I got parvo, bloody diarrhea, a yeast infection, and pus in my ass. Lots and lots of green slimy bubbling pus,” Michael whines out. He finally has the Stud of Liberty Avenue wanting his ass and it is a fucking dog. This can not be happening.

The three dogs look at Michael like he’s suddenly grown three heads. No self-respecting canine would go near that little freak even with a human’s dick. They slowly back away from the apparently highly contagious little freak and run off down the alley. Michael thinks he hears one of them say someone needs to call animal control on him for a quick trip to the backroom of the pound. Michael shutters, instinct tells him the back room of the pound would not be as pleasurable as the back room of Babylon. Michael starts yelling for his Maw and Brian. He hears a “Shut up” then feels cold dirty mop water hit his body as it’s thrown from the window facing the alley by an angry owner. Shivering, cold, and hungry Michael runs out of the alley on his way to the Diner. The last thing he hears is one of the rats yelling, “nasty bastard,” so he screams a quick, “fuck off,” on his way to find his mommy.

???????????????????????

Emmett swishes his way down Liberty pushing his sweet Scarlett in her doggy stroller. The southern queen and his little companion are a frequent sight on the Avenue. Debbie has long given up on trying to convince Emmett that the dog is not allowed in the Diner. That dog has better manners and is better dressed than most of the regular patrons. Today they are wearing matching pink tops, while Scarlett has her favorite sparkly bling collar on. A pure bred lady always appreciates accessories that sparkle. The couple is meeting Ted for an early dinner, then heading to a picture show at the cinema. A pure bred lady also appreciates fine dining and cultural activities.

Emmett opens the Diner door wide enough to push the doggy stroller inside. He doesn’t see the disgusting small terrier run in behind him. Michael runs under the tables and hides under the booth in the back corner. Ted is waiting for Emmett at their usual back booth.

“Hey, Em. How was the contest last night? Blake and I had a blast at the party at the drug rehab center. They had some really funny comedians and a not so bad band,” Ted says as he peruses the menu which they all know by heart.

“We didn’t win. Some cheap ass tramps, dressed as a 60’s girl group won. Talk about predictable. We did get an honorable mention, though, for originality. We went trick or treating first with Brian and Justin’s family. Justin had a whole theme night planned for later. I bet that was ‘Beautiful’ night,” Emmett replies as he gets a dreamy look on his face.

“Why do you say beautiful like that? Did you sneak a camera into their bedroom?” Ted asks with a chuckle.

“I’ll have you know that I have a very descriptive imagination. I don’t need pictures. I have seen the live show in the back room, remember? Justin was Belle and Brian was the Beast from ‘Beauty and the Beast’. I helped Justin find the costumes and catered their dinner. It was romantic enough for Justin but sexy enough for Brian. So, win/win,” Emmett replies as he places two small crystal dishes on the table. He fills one with water and places it next to Scarlett.

Scarlett delicately takes a few sips then raises her head to her human companion. Her nose is picking up a funky dog smell from under the table. She would bark at the foul creature, but a pure bred lady doesn’t raise her voice in a dining establishment. She keeps her eyes on the direction from where the smell is coming, in case her human companion needs warning of an attack. She is the companion of a queen and that queen’s safety is her first priority.

“Hey, Ted. Em. Have either of you seen or heard from Michael today? He came home last night but left again. He forgot his wallet and keys at home. And he missed work this morning. I called his job and the manager said to tell him not to come back. I found a psychotic dog in his bedroom this morning but no Michael,” Debbie says with a mixture of anger and worry.

“Sorry, Deb. I haven’t seen him. I actually haven’t talked to him much in the last few months,” Ted replies as he looks at the red wigged waitress.

“I haven’t seen him either. I heard from Steve, at Torso, that Michael was at the GLC Festival last night. Maybe he met someone and had a late date,” Emmett answers, even though he figures that didn’t happen.

“I hope you’re right. Now, what can I get for you boys?” Debbie asks as she prepares her notepad for their order.

“Teddy wants the pot roast special with a side salad. I would like the pink plate special with a side salad and an extra chop, Scarlett style,” Emmett says as he looks at his dog lovingly. The cook knows, if it is ordered Scarlett style, to debone the chop, add carrots and rice, then blend it like pate. The cook, a former lover, holds fond memories of the southern man so he indulges him. After Debbie leaves to place their order, Emmet relays the gossip he had heard the night before.

“Michael was at the festival last night, alright. I heard he was drunk and high as the clouds. He was rude and complaining the whole time. Also, Gary from TRIX, the leather club on fifth, said he heard Lindsay getting told off by Brian. Apparently little Lindsay, is still asking Brian if he spends time with his family and not out clubbing it up. He told her his family comes first. I think little Lindsay’s green-eyed monster is showing again. I saw that little eye roll she did last month at the family dinner when Brian was bragging on Justin’s last show. I was sitting behind them last week and I heard Mel tell Lindsay she needed to get a better job because her part time teaching thing paid like shit. Lindsay told Mel she would just ask Brian for money. Mel told her Brian already paid more than generous support and tuition for Gus. They weren’t asking him to support them too. Lindsay was not pleased,” Emmett confides as Deb brings their dinner to the table then walks back to the counter.

“I talked to Mel about their finances. They aren’t near bankruptcy but they are taking more out than they are bringing in. Mel told me no gallery would touch Lindsay after that Sam guy’s wife made such a stink a few years ago. Mel already has to be the total support for JR, since Michael won’t help with her. He used all the money he got from the sale of the Rage comic on bullshit partying and more useless toys. I tried to get him save some but he wouldn’t listen,” Ted whispers as he watches Emmett put Scarlett’s dinner in her crystal dish.  

Michael is listening to his two former friends talk about him like he’s some dumb piece of shit. Why is he the only one that can understand that his toys are important to him? Mel is a fucking lawyer. She can afford to take care of their daughter. She doesn’t need money from him. Brian has more money than he needs for his little piece of blond boy ass. He can help the girls with anything they need. Michael’s toys are vintage collectables. They are special, damn it. He needs money for his own shit. Even his own mother is after his money. Her and Carl make enough money. They can help with his expenses.

Ben had gotten the house because it was only in his name. Ben wasn’t supposed to come home early the night of his Captain Astro fantasy. He should have called first. That was just common decency. Brian and Justin having dinner with Ben and that new boyfriend of his was a betrayal. Michael just knows Justin must have talked Brian into being a traitor. Justin probably threatened Brian with withholding sex or taking all Brian’s money if he helped Michael. Justin is such a devious little fucker. This is all his fault.

“I hear Brian isn’t giving Lindsay more money because she refuses to give him receipts for the expenses. Justin mentioned they had given her several thousand dollars over the agreed support last year,” Emmet adds as he takes a bite of his dinner. He watches as Scarlett eyes the underside of the booth, wondering what has caught her attention.

“Brian and Justin are both great about tracking expenditures. With their net worth, knowing where your money is going is crucial, especially for tax purposes. But I do agree with Mel, Brian and Justin have their own family and a lifestyle they work their asses off to achieve. Lindsay needs to get a better job to help support her family and not try to demand more from Brian. Mel needs to take Michael’s ass to court for child support or make him sell those stupid toys to help cover expenses for JR. He doesn’t even try to help. He also barely ever visits the kid he supposedly wanted custody of,” Ted advises as he finishes his salad.

Ted and Emmett are shocked when a psychotic looking rat terrier jumps on the table and starts growling at them.

“Those are my fucking collectibles!” Michael shouts at the two best friends. Emmett screams when the dog snaps at him. Scarlett jumps in front of Emmett.

“Sir, you are no gentleman. As God is my witness, I’ll never let you hurt my queen,” Scarlett shouts at the classless mongrel ruining their dining experience.

“Shut up, you dumb mutt, before I show you what crazy is,” Michael yells at Emmett’s stupid dog. He always hated that mutt.

Ted and Emmett watch in horror as Scarlett snatches up on the nasty dog’s muzzle and slings him off the table. Michael lands hard on the floor with a thud.

“Mutt? You are a scoundrel of the lowest order. Now leave my presence!” Scarlett says in a deadly calm voice. With a simple nudge of a paw she knocks Emmett’s plate off the table and it lands on Michael’s head. “I am a pure bred lady, but don’t forget, mongrel, I was born a bitch and Mama said knock you out.” Scarlett shouts at Michael before turning to Emmett “Yuck, I need mouthwash and a massage. That nasty thing touched me,” Scarlett whimpers at Emmett. Emmett picks up his baby girl and hugs her to his chest.

Ted looks down at the unconscious dog laying on the floor. The thing is disgusting and it stinks. “Deb, call animal control! I think that thing is rabid. It tried to bite Emmett. Tell them to hurry before it wakes up,” Ted says with concern. He wonders what skunk it pissed off because it really smells foul.

“Holy shit, that’s the fucking dog I found in Michael’s room this morning. Where the hell did it come from?” Deb says as she ties a rope she grabs from behind the counter around its neck. She calls animal control and is told a unit will be dispatched post haste.

Ted and Emmett pay their bill and leave with a totally traumatized Scarlett. She just knows it will take a week of pampering at the spa to set her to rights. Emmett cradles his little hero in his arms as he whispers in her ear about all the sweet treats and clothes he is going to buy her. Being a true diva himself, he knows he has a long week of spa days and shopping ahead and he couldn’t have been happier.

????????????????????????????

Two weeks later

Brian is looking out the kitchen window watching his family in the backyard. Justin is holding Tiernan’s hands helping her walk towards Joey. She had begun trying to toddle the day before. Joey had amazed them both with how quick he had taken to Tiernan and his role as a big brother. Justin must have felt Brian’s eyes on him because he looks at the window and smiles that bright smile. The doorbell takes Brian out of his happy thoughts. He is surprised to find Carl on his doorstep.

 

“Hey, Carl. What brings you out this way?” Brian asks the veteran detective.

“Sorry, Brian, but this is official business. I need to speak with you and Justin. Can I come in?” Carl informs the brunet. After following Brian into the kitchen, he is offered coffee, which he accepts.

Brian sets a pot of coffee to brew. He waves Justin into the house, tells him to put on a movie for Joey and set up the bouncer activity center for Tiernan. With the kids occupied and the coffee served, they sit down at the kitchen table.

“Is this something I need my lawyer for, Carl?” Brian asks as he narrows his eyes at the cop.

“I’m here more as a messenger. As you both know, Michael has been declared a missing person. There hasn’t been any movement on his bank account or contact with his known acquaintances. He’s just vanished. During the investigation, a search was made of Michael’s room and his boxes in the basement. These were found in a trunk in the back of his closet,” Carl says as he passes a file to Brian and Justin.

Brian opens the file to find copies of his private documents for quite a few years and surveillance photos of him with different men in different places doing sexual things. Justin opens his file to pictures of Brian and himself at the loft in sexual positions with cut outs of Michael’s head on Justin’s body. Justin snorts at these as he hands them to Brian.

“If it had just been those, I would have just thought creepy, jealous Michael was keeping a scrapbook or maybe it was just wishful thinking,” Carl says before he handing them the last file.

Brian opens the file, as Justin looks over his shoulder, to find their family pictures with a bull’s eye drawn on Justin’s head and Joey’s face scratched out. Brian and Gus had been left alone. The other thing in the file is pages of Michael rambling about getting revenge and having his man. Then just ‘always and forever’ written over and over.

“I think a restraining order would be a good start. I upgraded security at the loft and office last year. I won’t let him hurt my family Carl,” Brian says as he stares at the picture of Michael’s attempt at destroying his family.

Justin has paled at the sight of Joey’s face scratched out. A bat to the head has taught him how quickly life can change. “I can’t lose my babies, Brian. How can he hate us this much? He hasn’t even met Tiernan,” Justin cries as the tears roll down his face.

“Carl, tell me exactly what happened the day Michael disappeared? Debbie called a few times asking if we saw him but we hadn’t. We haven’t had much to do with him in months. We have been busy with work and Tiernan’s adoption,” Brian inquires as he runs a soothing hand down Justin’s back.

“I was wondering who the little girl was. Congratulations. She is a beautiful baby. Anyway, Michael was spotted at the GLC festival and at a liquor store the night he disappeared. The next morning Debbie found a dog in his room. The thing was mangy and rabid. Animal control picked it up at the diner after it tried to bite a customer. I found Michael’s wallet, keys, an empty bottle of booze, and a package with drug residue in his room the next morning. We’ve had reports of him being high and drunk all over Liberty, from several months back. Honestly, I am starting to think he overdosed somewhere and his body hasn’t been found yet. I don’t suspect foul play but I have had informal interviews with most of the family so far. Can you tell me where y’all were Halloween night?” Carl asks as he looks to the men for their reaction.

“We went candy begging with Mother Taylor, Molly, Joey, Honeycutt, and Drew Boyd. Then we came back here for a late catered dinner and other activities. It stormed here that night. I found a puppy on the porch at about two am when I was checking the doors. I have a picture I took of it around three am here in the house. I’m sure you can track our cell locations. Justin was asleep upstairs. He woke me up the next morning,” Brian answers while showing Carl the time stamped photo.

“I found him asleep in the guest room the next morning. Unfortunately, the puppy didn’t make it. We spent a couple hours in bed. I had brunch later with my mother, after some shopping and a visit to the art store. Brian went grocery shopping in town, while I was in the city. We met back here about two pm or so and worked on the house a little,” Justin adds as he places his hand on Brian’s thigh. It was as close to the truth as they could answer without including details about Tiernan.

“I don’t think any more questions are needed. I have to inform victims of threats and stalking is a crime. If Michael tries to contact either of you or makes direct threats, call the police. He may have had a psychotic break and wandered off. My money's on the overdose. I have contacted the hospitals and morgue to be on the lookout for unidentified bodies or patients. Thanks, guys. I have to get back. Debbie wants to hang more fliers around town,” Carl informs them as he stands up and they walk him to the door.

“Do you think Mikey is dead? I can’t believe those pictures. He has finally cracked up. Always and forever? It just creeps me the fuck out,” Brian shutters as they check on the kids.

“Brian, he went to the GLC festival and then Debbie found a dog in his room. Emmett told me about the psychotic dog that tried to bite him at the Diner. Animal control hauled it off. Deb had said it was the same one she found in his room . . . I think Michael is most likely in the pound,” Justin says with an evil glimmer in his eye. He doesn’t want Michael to be euthanized, but a little jail time for his crimes might serve him right.

 

Brian laughs as he pictures Michael in a dog kennel. “I think you’re right. We’ll have to spring him from the clink. Oh shit! Do you think they neutered him?” Brian questions as the repercussions of Mikey’s situation come to light. He will call the shelter in the morning and see if Michael is still there.

“I don’t want Michael to lose his balls, but I don’t want him around us again either. He could really turn dangerous. Mom said she would meet us at Emmett and Drew’s place. Did I tell you Scarlett whipped Michael’s ass for trying to bite Emmett?” Justin says as he heads to the nursery to pack Tiernan’s diaper bag. He hears Brian laughing down the hall.

???????????????????????????

The man dressed in a janitor’s uniform enters the dog pens at the back of Pittsburgh’s Animal Rescue Shelter just after closing time. He finds the pen with the warning sign indicating a dangerous animal. He looks down at the nasty little dog staring daggers at him.

“You can’t say you weren’t warned. You will never again be what you were. Your heart is poisoned by hatred and revenge. Your evilness has caused you to lose your family and freedom but not your life. When you wake you will no longer remember what you were, so embrace what you can be. This is the last chance you will have to find any happiness on this Earth,” The man says as he slips the dart gun from his pocket and shoots the small dog.

The dog is crated for shipment and sent to his new life as the gypsy queen leaves the pound quietly. Michael Charles Novotny was never to be seen or heard from again. Inquiries about the little dog’s whereabouts find nothing. Like Novotny, the dog and all traces of it have vanished.

?????????????????????????

Justin lays in bed, asking Brian where he thought Michael had disappeared to. Brian didn’t know and reminded his Sunshine that thoughts of Mikey didn’t belong in their bed or lives anymore. Dinner with the family had gone very well. Brian had given the family a few surprises. First they had introduced Tiernan. She was fawned over for most of the night. Brian had given Carl, Ted, Blake, Emmett, and Drew tie pins. He had given Debbie and Mother Taylor broaches. He had given Lindsay, Mel, Jenny, and Molly necklaces. Gus and Joey got platinum dog tags. Tiernan was given a baby bracelet. When asked what the occasion was, Brian said simply he thought everyone needed something to wear to the wedding. Then he handed Justin a diamond engagement ring to match the platinum bands he still had from years earlier. The Celtic designs showed the unity of their family - Brian, Justin, Gus, Joey, and Tiernan Taylor-Kinney.

?????????????????????????

The small dog followed the boy around the park. The gypsy queen watched as the small dog chased after the stick the boy threw. The small dog jumped and barked as the boy rolled around with it. The boy petted the dog’s head as they walked down the park path. The dog wagged its tail and he followed the boy to their home. The queen watched as the two friends disappeared inside the house. A boy and his dog. Friends always and forever. Like the forgotten one had once coveted, happiness had healed a bitter soul.

 

 


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=840