Out Of The Mouths Of Babes by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

 

Problems for children and their parents in the extended Sunshine family.

Story #21 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 23753 Read: 31253 Published: Jan 22, 2017 Updated: Jan 22, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes


Chapter 1


 

"Michael?"

"Here, Ma."

"How's he doing?"

"I don't know. Nick is with him now but the doctors haven't said anything yet."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. Karen said he got a phone call then next thing she knew, he was on the floor."

"Oh God, you don't think..."

"I...I...he's my son, but I don't know how to help."

"Pray, Michael, just pray."

*****

"Bri? I thought I'd find you in here. You okay?" Brian shrugged. He was sitting alone in the hospital chapel staring at the small altar. "You want me to leave?" Brian reached out his hand and latched onto Justin's; he remained silent. "He'll be all right. He'll get through this. I know he will." Brian nodded as silent tears crawled down his face.

*****

"Any news?" Melanie asked Danny as she entered the waiting room.

"No, and they're only allowing immediate family in."

"But you're his..."

"Yes, well, adoptive and only for a few months and Michael hasn't really acknowledged anything and..."

"He's strong and stubborn. He'll be up in no time, hustling kids off the streets, finding them jobs and..."

"I'm sure he will. He has to."

*****

"Nick?"

"Hi Ben."

"How's he doing?"

"Physically, he appears to be fine. His tests all came back normal. Normal for him, anyway. Ben, you know as well as I do that it's not just how you deal with the physical part of living with HIV but the mental attitude as well. We've been so happy together and the results of the fundraiser were so positive. I don't understand what happened to him."

"Were you there when he got that phone call?"

"No, I was coming to take him to lunch. I walked in and Karen had already called 911. He didn't have a seizure, his heart rate was a little fast but nothing dangerous, it was like he just shut down. I just don't know."

"Nick, has a…um…has a psychiatrist examined him yet?"

"Not yet, we have to make sure it's nothing organic. I'm still hoping he'll wake up on his own. He's in there, I know he is. He responds to painful stimuli but it's almost as if he's frightened to open up his eyes."

"Nothing frightens him. He's one of the bravest men I know."

"Me too."

"Have you spoken to Claire and John? You know how close they all are."

"I called earlier. They're working out the logistics now so that they can be here. Patrick can't miss school."

"And you? How are you?"

"I'm...I..."

Ben drew Nick into a hug. Nick buried himself into Ben's strong broad chest and allowed himself to cry.

"Shhh, he's going to be fine," Ben reassured the younger man. "I know he'll be fine."

*****

John, Claire, Bobby and Steve entered the waiting room. Michael was taking his turn sitting with Hunter. Dr. Nick, having privileges at Allegheny Hospital, was in and out keeping the family updated on Hunter's progress or lack thereof.

"How is he?" John asked Nick as he gave the young doctor a hug and kiss.

"No changes. And we don't know why."

"Can we see him?" Claire asked as she came close to Nick to console him.

"I'll clear it with the staff. It's supposed to be immediate family only."

"We are his immediate family," Brian said as he strode into the waiting room with Justin in tow and wearing his infamous arrogant air of authority. He was prepared to glare anyone to death who dared to defy him.

"Brian, I'm his grandmother. I have a right to be in there," Debbie said trying to be gentle but not quite making it.

"And he's my friend and business associate and he means a lot to me and FUCK! What the hell happened to him? He was fine; the happiest little ex-hustler, master of social work the world has ever seen. What the fuck happened to him?"

"Shhh, Brian, keep your voice down! I can hear you shouting from down the hall," Michael exclaimed as came back into the waiting room.

"Well, maybe if you shouted at him instead of whispering around him, he might wake the fuck up! Christ!" Brian Kinney was feeling helpless. Brian Kinney hated feeling helpless.

"Brian," Justin said gently as he placed his hand on Brian's arm. Brian's angry glare softened a bit as he walked to the windows and began to stare out. Justin gave him a moment then went to Brian's side. Brian pulled Justin toward him then rested his chin on top of the blond head. Justin snuggled into Brian's chest to give Brian the time he needed to get himself together.

"May I sit with him for a while?" Bobby spoke out.

"Sure," Nick answered.

"Hey!" Michael yelled.

"Michael, I know you're his father but I am Hunter's healthcare proxy and Bobby is his attorney. Hunter made his wishes painfully clear to us how he wanted his affairs to be handled in the event he couldn't do it on his own," Nick tried to explain.

"Fine. Go ahead, but you don't know anything," Michael said angrily.

"Michael, I know a lot more than you think I do," Bobby said. He gave Nick a hug, kissed John then went to find Hunter's room.

*****

Bobby settled into the uncomfortable chair that was next to Hunter's bed. Hunter was hooked up to a heart monitor and one IV line. His doctors were reluctant to insert a feeding tube in hopes that Hunter would wake up and eat on his own.

"You know, kid, I still have that crinkled up dollar bill you gave me when you hired me. I keep it safe in my office. I'm proud of you, Hunter. You've accomplished the near impossible. You're a survivor and now I need you to survive whatever this is, and wake up. You have to tell us what's going on so we can help you." Bobby paused to pick up Hunter's hand, squeezing it gently. Hunter's eyelashes fluttered slightly.

"They're all out there, fighting amongst themselves, declaring who has the right to come in here and sit with you. Debbie's throwing her weight around, Ben is doing his suffering father routine, Michael, well, Michael is being Michael. And Brian, he's growling and suggesting we shout at you. Maybe he's right. All this pussyfooting around, walking on eggshells, certainly isn't the right approach. Do I need to shout at you?" Bobby asked Hunter, squeezing his hand harder, his voice getting louder.

"Do I need to get into your face and yell at you? You little shit! I never thought you'd be a coward." Hunter didn't move. Bobby sighed loudly, placed Hunter's hand back onto the bed. He patted the hand just before he left the room.

"Anything, Big Red?" Brian asked as he passed Bobby in the hall.

"No, I thought I saw his eyelashes flutter but maybe I was wrong. I yelled at him, Bri. Called him a coward." Brian saw the grey-blue eyes begin to mist over.

"Good. Go out to John. I want the two of you to sit on Mikey. I may have to yell at the little shit too." Brian gave his brother-in-law a hug then sent him on his way. He took a deep breath then entered Hunter's room.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't our littlest hustler. Oh excuse me, the master of social work. What the hell are you doing, taking a holiday? Who the fuck gave you permission to do that? Do you know you left Karen all by herself? She's buried under paperwork, not to mention all the kids that have been swarming. Bill took a leave from that high school of his to come down here and help. Danny looks like he lost his best friend. Mikey's convinced he's being punished for something. Ben is doing that sad thing he does. I'm not going to get into what Temmett has been doing, the fucking pests." Brian began to pace in front of Hunter's bed.

"You little shit! You have no right to just lay there and make the nurses clean your skinny ass every day. Nick is miserable; he doesn't know how to help you. I miss those stupid e-mails you send me. I've gotten used to getting them. I guess the only one who might be remotely happy with this situation is Justin."

Brian stared at the figure on the bed. Hunter looked so small, so vulnerable and so young; like the little hustler Brian had first met. Brian's shoulders slumped and he shook his head.

"Big Red was right, maybe you are a coward."

"I'd give Blondie a run for his money," Hunter said so softly that Brian wasn't sure he had heard correctly.

"You don't have his advantage."

"What advantage?" Hunter was trying to focus his eyes.

"His ass advantage."

"No one has THAT advantage."

"Let me call for the doctor."

"No, not yet."

"Why?"

"Because they'll all come running in here asking me stupid questions. I can't face them."

"Not even Nick?"

"Especially him. I let him down."

"No you didn't. But he is worried out of his mind. What happened?"

"I got a phone call."

"We know. Who was it from?"

"My mother."

*****

Outside in the waiting room Claire moved over to Nick. "How are you holding up?" she asked.

Nick turned to face her and just shrugged. He couldn't get his voice to work. Claire stepped toward him and pulled the young man into a warm embrace.

"He'll be all right, Nick. Have faith," Claire whispered.

"I … I wish I was sure of that. It's like he's given up. With him being positive, that's the worst thing he can do."

"What will be, will be. You knew that your time together was always something that might be cut short."

"Are you saying he's going to die?" Nick asked in disbelief.

"Good Lord, no. I'm saying that you two have faced so much. You mustn't give up on Hunter now. He is going to need you."

"How … how do you know that?"

"If something from that phone call did this to him, he is going to be shaken to the core when he revives. He will need you at that point more than he ever needed anything."

"But Hunter's always been so strong. What could have caused this?"

"I don't know, dear," Claire said gently. "But when he first came to the farm, he was very low. He had given up on almost everything. He needed us then, and he will need all of us now. But most of all he will need you."

"I'll be there," Nick stated as he hugged Claire close.

Just then Lacy walked into the waiting room. "Is there any news?" she asked Debbie.

Debbie shook her head. "Brian's in with him at the moment. There hasn't been any change."

"He has to be all right," Lacy said as she sat down beside Debbie.

"He will be," Debbie stated defiantly.

"The clinic needs him, and kids … like me," Lacy said sadly.

"No, not kids like you. You're doing great. But there are lots more on the streets who need Hunter's gentle guidance."

"Yeah."

*****

"Hi, Patrick," Rachel called as she pulled up in front of Patrick's school.

"Hi, Auntie Rachel. Hi, Bree. How come you're picking me up today?" Patrick asked as he crawled into his booster seat.

Rachel was driving Justin's Jeep. Brian and Justin had suggested she take it when she agreed to look after the little ones. It would be easier than trying to transfer the child seats to her own vehicle.

"You don't mind, do you?" Rachel asked. "I do know the way home."

"I know that," Patrick said seriously. "But where are my dads?"

"They had to go to the hospital in Pittsburgh."

"Are they hurt?" Patrick asked as his face clouded over with worry.

"Oh no, nothing like that. It's Hunter. He's in the hospital. Everyone went to visit him and lend moral support."

With Patrick safely buckled in, Rachel pulled away from the school.

"What's mortal support?" Bree asked.

"It means that all Hunter's friends and family are there to help each other and to make sure Hunter gets the best care," Rachel explained.

"Will Hunter be all right?" Patrick wanted to know.

"I'm sure he will. He has everyone's good wishes pouring out to him," Rachel said with a smile.

"Can me and Bree go see him?"

"I don't think they want children in the hospital."

"Make him a card," Bree said. "I draw good."

"That's a great idea, Bree," Rachel agreed. "When we get back to the cottage, that's exactly what we'll do."

Some time later the children were sitting at their little table in the sun porch coloring their cards for Hunter. Patrick was very careful with his. He had drawn a big needle on the front of the piece of paper. He printed very carefully inside: Get better soon and no needles. Patrick

Bree was making big swirls of color on her page.

"What are you making, Bree?" Rachel asked her.

"A rainbow."

"That's nice, Bree," Patrick told her.

"I got all the colors," Bree said proudly.

"Including brown and black," Patrick laughed.

Bree frowned and looked at her rainbow. "It's all right, isn't it, Auntie Rachel?" Bree asked.

"It's lovely and Hunter will be so pleased to get it."

"Good," Bree said giving Patrick a death glare that she had learned from her Dada.

"Everybody knows that rainbows don't have brown and black in them," Patrick said precisely as he finished coloring his needle.

"Bree has made a very special rainbow for Hunter. It can have whatever colors she wants. Right, Bree?" Rachel asked.

"Yeah!" Bree said enthusiastically.

"What are you going to put inside the card?" Rachel asked.

Bree frowned for a minute. She picked up her red crayon and opened the folded paper. She drew what looked like a big red heart and then with her tongue sticking out the corner of her mouth she printed "bree". The "b" was backwards but that didn't matter.

"You should make a big 'B' for a name," Patrick told her.

"What's a big 'B'?" Bree asked her aunt.

"It doesn't matter. Hunter will know it's from you. Where did you learn to print?"

"At school," she said proudly.

"And she copies me," Patrick supplied.

"Do not!"

"Yes, you do," Patrick stated adamantly.

"Now that your cards are finished, let's have some cookies and milk," Rachel suggested.

"Yay!" both children yelled as they dropped their crayons and headed for the kitchen.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 2

"Hunter, let me get Nick, you have to be examined by a doctor," Brian pleaded.

"No, Bri, please, not yet. Is Steve out there?"

"Yes, why?"

"Can you send him in but without letting the others know that I, uh..."

"Rejoined the land of the living?"

"Something like that."

"Okay. But I'm warning you, if you're not out of this place by tomorrow, I am personally going to kick your scrawny ass all over the hospital."

"Promises, promises," Hunter snarked. Brian leaned in close and gently kissed Hunter's forehead.

"I've gotten used to you chasing after my dick," Brian whispered. "Don't ever stop." Brian softly caressed Hunter's cheek then left the room.

*****

"About time you came out, I want to sit with him," Debbie grumbled at Brian.

"Not your turn Deb. Steve, you go in," Brian stated emphatically.

"Now wait just a fucking minute," Debbie started, getting very angry. Brian turned his back on her to speak to Steve.

"Steve, go now, it's your turn," Brian said glaring at Steve as if Brian was trying to use the Rage mind control to get Steve to understand. Bobby witnessed the exchange and the look in Brian's eyes. He pushed Steve out of the waiting room and down the hall towards Hunter's room before anyone could argue.

"You son of a bitch!" Debbie shouted as she raised her hand to strike Brian.

"Go ahead and hit me, Maw. It won't make any difference," Brian stood his ground waiting for the slap. It wouldn't have been the first time and probably not the last. Debbie froze then lowered her hand as Michael went to his mother.

"I think you better leave," Michael spat out. "We're Hunter's family, we don't need you here." Michael clung to Debbie.

"I need a fucking cigarette," Brian mumbled as he strode out of the room toward the elevator banks. Justin glared at Michael then ran out to find his spouse.

*****

"Hunter?" Steve came into Hunter's room. He saw Hunter laying so still. "What happened to you, boy?" Steve said in frustration as he sat in the bedside chair.

"I'm awake," Hunter murmured. Steve let out a gasp. "Shh, I don't want them to know yet."

"Why, son, why? They're all sick with worry. Debbie is about to kill Brian for making me come in here."

"I know and I'm sorry but I wanted to talk to you first. We...you helped me so much when I lived up at the farm. I need..."

"Jimmy, what is it? You know you can tell me anything, I promised to listen."

"I know..." Hunter began to cry. Steve got up to sit on the edge of Hunter's bed. He wrapped his arms around the younger man.

"We'll get through this Jimmy, I promise we will."

*****

"What are they doing in there?" Debbie said loudly to no one in particular.

"It's almost time for his medication, I'll check," Nick stated then he went to his lover's room.

"Hunter!" Nick burst into tears when he walked in to see Hunter sitting up and in Steve's strong embrace.

"Nick," Hunter managed. Steve slid over to allow Nick room.

"Oh Baby! I was so scared. I thought I lost you."

"I'm sorry," Hunter cried.

"Shh, don't be sorry. I'm just glad you're back. Please don't ever leave me."

The boys held on tight to each other, Steve decided to make a discreet exit.

"Steve, please don't go," Hunter pleaded.

"Whatever you want, son. But how about you let your Dr. Nick and your other doctors check you out first then I promise to come back as soon as they give me the o-kay."

Hunter nodded. Nick, without letting go of his lover, reached over to the phone to page Hunter's attending physician.

*****

Justin paced back and forth in front of the hospital. Brian had disappeared and Justin feared that Debbie's outburst had a worse effect on Brian than just the need for a cigarette.

"Do you see him?" John came out to find Justin in a near panic.

"No."

"Did you try his cell?"

"Of course I tried his fucking cell. I'm not an idiot!"

"Justin," John said firmly, "calm down. I know you're not an idiot. But sometimes we don't think straight when we're worried." Justin looked up into John's eyes. They held the same warmth and strength of character that Brian's had.

"Forgive me, John," Justin said meekly as the older man hugged him.

"Nothing to forgive. We'll find him or he'll find us. He's probably hiding someplace as he's trying to smoke. He hasn't had a cigarette in such a long time, he's probably coughing his lungs out," John chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, you're probably right."

"Let me try him, maybe he'll answer now," John said as he took out his phone and pressed the speed dial.

"Kinney."

"Where the fuck are you, little bro? I have a little blond here who's shaking like a leaf. Not a good look for him."

"I'm around the corner trying not to hack up a lung. Shit! I don't trick. I barely drink and now even a fucking cigarette tastes like shit. What the fuck am I supposed to use for pain management now?"

"Just get your ass back here." John cut the connection shaking his head and grinning like a fool. "My brother, you gotta love him."

"Yeah," Justin agreed and then they both cracked up with laughter. In a few minutes, Brian walked up to them looking very contrite.

"What's the matter, little bro? No more vices left to indulge in?" Brian shrugged then leered suggestively at Justin. John burst out laughing again. "Get a room but after we make sure Hunter's all right. Come on you two." John ushered his brother and brother-in-law back into the hospital.

*****

"Rachel, how are the kids doing?" Bobby asked his sister, as he spoke into his cell phone. He and Brian were standing outside the hospital. John, Brian and Justin all wanted to make sure their children were doing okay with Auntie Rachel. Bobby had been elected to call.

"They're fine. They just finished making 'get well' cards for Hunter."

"That's good. Have they been any trouble?"

"Not at all. I kind of like having little ones around again," Rachel replied with a smile. Her girls were so grown up now. "How's Hunter?"

"He's back in the land of the conscious."

"That's good news."

"Yeah, but something's going on. I don't know what it is yet."

"Do you think it's something serious?" Rachel asked with a frown.

"It must be."

"I don't like the sound of that."

"At least he's awake. Maybe we'll find out what happened now that he can talk."

"I hope so."

"Could you make dinner for the little ones?"

"Of course. When do you think you'll be back?"

"We want to be sure Hunter's all right, so it might be late."

"I'll put them to bed at their usual time."

"Thanks, Rachel. Can I talk to Patrick for a minute?"

"Sure. Here he is."

"Hi, Poppa," Patrick said into the phone.

"Are you being a good boy for Auntie Rachel?"

"Yes, Poppa."

"I hear you and Bree made cards for Hunter."

"Yeah. Can you take them to him?"

"Hunter's doing better, but we'll see that he gets the cards tomorrow."

"That's good."

"Someone wants to talk to Bree," Bobby laughed as Brian nudged him once again.

"I'll tell Bree her Dada wants to talk to her," Patrick said knowledgeably.

"Thanks, Son, and have fun till I get home."

"Dada!" Bree's little voice came on the line as Bobby handed the phone to Brian.

"Hi, Squirt."

"Hi, Dada, Patrick says rainbows can't have brown and black in them. Can they?"

Brian frowned. Bree's questions were getting trickier to answer every day. He supposed that Patrick was taking the traditional view about what comprised a rainbow, while Briana was taking the creative, artistic viewpoint.

"Rainbows are beautiful, Squirt," Brian told her. "They are whatever you see."

"See, Patrick," Bree said to her cousin.

"Briana Victoria," Brian said trying to sound stern, "don't be nasty. Patrick is merely stating the standard position about what comprises a rainbow." Brian hoped the big words would diffuse the argument that he saw brewing. Sometimes baffling with bullshit was the route to take, even with a four year old.

Bree wrinkled her brow trying to figure out what her father was telling her. "That's cop-a-clated," she said after a bit.

"Yes, it is. Now be good for Auntie Rachel and go to bed when she tells you."

"I wait for you," Bree said adamantly.

"No, Squirt, we may be late."

Bree frowned. "'Kay, Dada, I be good."

"Bye, Squirt."

"Bye, Dada."

"Your dad said I was right, didn't he?" Patrick asked when Bree handed the phone to her aunt.

Bree shook her head. "No." She crossed her arms on her chest and glared at Patrick. She wasn't exactly sure what her father had said, but she was sure he couldn't have taken Patrick's side over hers.

"Did so," Patrick retorted.

"Did not."

"How about you two help me make dinner?" Rachel said quickly before the fight developed.

"Bake cookies?" Bree asked.

"No, sweetheart, but we could make some Jello."

"Yay, Jello," Bree crowed.

"Strawberry?" Patrick asked.

"Yes, strawberry." Rachel breathed another sigh of relief. Another fight averted. She hadn't been aware of the competitiveness between the two children, but she certainly was now. Patrick was older and very smart, but Bree was a fighter and probably just as intelligent as her cousin. They were quite a pair. "Let's get that water boiling to make Jello," she said quickly.

*****

Lacy let herself into Debbie's. She had left the hospital after they had said that Hunter was awake. He would be all right. She knew that he had to be, for her sake, and for all the other street kids who needed him.

Besides, she couldn't deal with someone else dropping out of her life. She was preparing herself for PIFA in the fall. She had decided that she couldn't afford to take a summer course. She needed to work and make as much money as she could for her tuition. Even with extra hours in the summer, she knew she was going to have to ask for help, probably from Justin.

She had wanted to do this all on her own, but gradually she had realized how unrealistic that was. Justin had said they would find her a scholarship or something, or they would simply loan her the money. She could live with a loan. She would pay them back eventually. She knew she could do that.

Lacy grabbed a can of soda and headed up to her room. She had early shift at the diner in the morning and would work right through dinner. That should make her a ton of tips. She needed the money.

In her room she sat down at the desk and pulled out her sketchbook. She picked up her pencil and it started to move almost of its own volition. She realized she was drawing her first encounter with Hunter. That had been at one of the worst moments of her life. She had been cold and hungry and some john had let her service him and then threatened to strangle her if she didn't give his money back. Hunter had walked up to her where she was huddled on a sewer grate getting whatever warmth she could. That is what she showed in her drawing - the despair of a young hustler and the hope that radiated from Hunter.

She wasn't aware how long she sketched. She just knew that she had to get it down on paper. She would give the sketch to Hunter when he was better. He would get better; he had to. With a sigh she held the sketchbook away from her and looked at her work. It was good, she knew that. But was it good enough for PIFA? There were still those grains of self doubt deep inside her.

Just then she heard the phone in the kitchen ring. She decided she better go answer it as it might be Debbie calling from the hospital with news about Hunter. It might be bad news, she realized, as she ran down the stairs.

"Please be good news," she prayed as she picked up the receiver and said, "Hello."

"Lucinda."

Lacy felt the blood drain from her face and body. Without a second thought she hung up the receiver. When it started to ring a moment later she went back to her room and added the finishing touches to her sketch.

*****

"So what happened to him and why can't I go in there? I'm his father!" Michael griped at Nick. Ben put his hand on Michael's shoulder. He had the same concerns but preferred to wait for the doctor's explanation.

"Simply put, Hunter experienced what might be called a fugue state but without any lose of memory. Basically, the phone call he received caused a shock to his system and he just shut everything down. It may never happen again."

"Well, that's something, I guess," Debbie stated.

"Will he require psychological help?" Ben asked gently. Nick nodded.

"Yes, but not to the extent you may think. Hunter knows what happened but not why. His doctor has recommended some counseling."

"Oh great, the counselor needs a counselor," Michael snarked. Just then Brian and Justin with Bill walked back into the waiting room. Michael and Debbie scowled at them.

"You know, Mikey, sometimes a man has to know when to ask for help," Brian stated as he took Justin's hand in his. Justin smiled sweetly at his partner and nodded.

"A lot you know," Michael sneered. "And what are you doing here? I thought you were helping at the clinic?" Michael asked Bill.

"I was but as you can see, it's after seven. The after hours hotline is set to take any calls that might come in and Karen and Katerina will be there in the morning."

"I repeat, what are you doing here?"

"I'm Hunter's counselor. Steve and I..."

"Steve?! Why him?" Debbie shouted. Claire decided she needed to intervene. As much as Steve loved his ever expanding family, Claire knew he had little patience for the histrionics.

"Debbie, Hunter became very close to all of us during the time he spent living on the farm. He and Steve are especially close. They share many confidences as does Bill who was Hunter's counselor and is still one of his closest confidants. I know you, all of you, want what's best for the boy. Hunter's doctors are aware of Bill's qualifications and of Steve's as well."

"What qualifications? I know Bill is a social worker but I thought Steve was just a farmer," Michael demanded to know.

"When Steve opened the farm to his kids, he took many courses in counseling, anger management and drug rehabilitation. He's a highly qualified counselor," Bill boasted, proud of his long time association with his friend and mentor.

"Oh," Michael and Debbie said in unison. Brian remained silent but smug.

"We're going to transfer him to a private room," Nick broke the silence.

"Why can't he go home?" Michael asked softly.

"We just want to observe him and make sure he eats. I'm sure they'll let him go home tomorrow," Nick reassured the family. "He's out of danger. After he's transferred, you all can go in, then go home. He's feeling overwhelmed."

The family thought that suggestion made sense. They waited for Hunter to be transferred to his new room to say their good byes. Then they all left except for Bill, Steve, and of course, Dr. Nick, who had no intention of letting Hunter out of his sight.


Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 3

"Hunter, are you sure you want both of us here?" Bill asked. Hunter was just finishing up his breakfast or rather scarfing it down. He hadn't eaten for a few days and his metabolism still retained its youthful enthusiasm.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Between the two of you, you'll figure out why my head decided to do a runner on me."

"Jimmy, can you tell us who the call was from?" Steve handed Hunter a small carton of juice and Hunter took a sip.

"Yeah, my bitch of a mother," Hunter grumbled.

"Your mother? Your real mother? What's her name?" Bill asked. He was rather confused as to why after all these years Hunter's mother had decided to make contact.

"Rita Montgomery," Hunter stated coldly and with disdain.

"Jimmy, I know of your past and what she made you do but do you have any idea why she forced you into prostitution?" Steve thought it best to put things plainly and honestly. It was his honesty that so many of his 'kids' responded to.

"I guess it was because she was one too. Then I came along, the result of a broken condom. She was very young, still had most of her looks but a hooker on the streets, an unprotected hooker doesn't stand a chance." Hunter shook his head at the painful memories. "I guess she tried to make ends meet till I was old enough to work."

"Work?" Bill asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Work the streets, I mean. She got one of her regular tricks to break me in then she used me as bait. We were rather unique, a mother and son team." Hunter began to blush with embarrassment.

"Jimmy, no need to be embarrassed. She broke the most sacred trust between a parent and child, to protect your child above all else. There were many options open to her and yet she chose to bring you into her world. You survived it and surpassed it. And now you've gone back to those streets to help others who were like you. Whatever she wants, she can't hurt you. You're not alone. You're not that skinny little boy anymore. You are a respected member of the community with a masters degree that you worked hard and long for. And one more important fact."

"What's that?"

"You have us, Jimmy. You have your partner and your family."

Hunter gave them a brilliant smile. "Yeah, I guess I do. Besides, I can always sic Debbie on her!" Hunter, Bill and Steve started to laugh. "I wonder when I can go home."

"Now, Baby. I have your papers already. We can take you home." Nick breezed into the room. He beamed as he gave his lover a huge sloppy kiss.

"Thank the gods. I really want a shower and to put on some real clothes. This hospital gown leaves nothing to the imagination." Hunter blushed again. Nick ushered Bill and Steve out while Hunter got dressed to go home.

*****

"Dada! Daddy!" Bree called as she barreled into her fathers' bedroom.

"We're here, Squirt," Brian said as he stuck his head out of the bathroom. He and Justin had just showered among several other things that had been done under the stream of water. They were now shaving.

"You look like Santa," Bree told him as she studied the shaving cream on his face.

"Thanks, I think," Brian said as he sucked in his gut.

Justin snorted. "I don't think she was referring to your belly."

"Neither do I, but it never hurts to check," Brian said sucking his gut in again and standing sideways to view himself in the mirror.

"Still fabulous after all these years," Justin chuckled.

"Thanks! All compliments gratefully accepted."

"You look very nice, Dada," Bree said right on cue and with a big smile.

"You have her so well trained," Justin said shaking his head as he finished shaving

"She's part of my ever growing fan club. Aren't you, Squirt?"

"Yes, Dada," Bree replied. "Where were you?" she demanded. "I waited and waited."

"What's she talking about?" Justin asked.

"I told you to go to sleep for Auntie Rachel," Brian said sternly.

"I wanted to wait for you," Bree pouted.

"I told you we'd be late."

"I waited as long as I could."

"So that's why she slept so late this morning," Justin said as the light dawned.

"You should be grateful. Gave us more time in the shower," Brian said with a waggle of his eyebrows.

"You're the one who should be grateful," Justin begged to differ.

"Hungry, Daddy," Bree stated.

"Okay, let's go get you some breakfast while Dada primps some more."

Brian stuck out his tongue at Justin as he disappeared through the door carrying Bree. Bree giggled as she looked at her silly Dada.

"What do you want for breakfast Bree, Cheerios or toast and jam?" Justin asked her.

"Jello!"

"We don't have Jello."

"Yes, we do. Patrick and me made it with Auntie Rachel."

"Did you now? How about Jello with banana then?" Justin asked as he deposited Bree at the table.

"Yes," Bree replied. She then slid down from the chair and ran into the sun porch.

Brian came into the kitchen.

"Want some Jello and banana?" Justin asked as he sliced banana into Bree's bowl.

"No thanks," Brian replied as he poured himself a cup of coffee. "Want one?"

Justin nodded and Brian poured him a mugful.

"Where's Bree?" Brian asked.

"Sun porch."

"Bree," Brian called.

The little girl came running into the kitchen carrying the cards that she and Patrick had made for Hunter. "Have to give these to Hunter," she said solemnly.

"Let's see," Brian said as he read the two cards. "Did you print this yourself, Squirt?" Bree nodded her head proudly. "You're getting very good."

"Thank you," she giggled.

Justin came over to look and was duly impressed. He kissed Bree and set her back on her chair. He placed the Jello and banana in front of her. She started to eat happily.

"How would you like to come into Pittsburgh and see Hunter for yourself?" Brian asked Bree.

"Auntie Rachel said we can't go to the hospital."

"Hunter's coming home today," Brian told her.

"Yay!"

"He'd be happy to hear you say that."

Bree smiled. "See Gamma Susan? Bake cookies?" she asked.

"Not today, and it's Gramma Susan."

"I know," Bree said as she stuck some banana in her mouth.

"Then why don't you say it?" Justin asked.

"Gamma Jenn said she liked me to call her Gamma instead of Gramma, so I do. She says I cute. And Gamma Joan and Gamma Debbie…"

"Yes, we know," Justin said shaking his head.

"So let me get this straight?" Brian said. "All this time you could say Gramma but you thought you were being cute by saying Gamma?"

Bree nodded and frowned. Usually her Dada was quicker on the uptake.

"You little Munchkin," Brian said as he reached across and tickled under Bree's arms. Bree giggled and scrunched down making a harder target for him to tickle. "Finish your Jello and then we can go visit Hunter, and maybe Gamma Jenn."

*****

"Home sweet home!" Nick said as he escorted his partner into their apartment. Hunter batted away Nick's hands.

"I'm not an invalid, you know. I can walk and chew gum at the same time," Hunter groused. He dumped his bag on the floor and made a beeline to the bathroom to shower and shave. He was feeling very grungy and he didn't like it.

"But apparently not able to answer a phone call from your mother," Nick mumbled as Hunter slammed the bathroom door. A knock on the door broke Nick out of his reverie. He heard the toilet flush and the shower come on full force.

"Bill, Steve, I'm glad you're here," Nick said with relief in his voice.

"How is he?" Bill inquired, seeing the worried look on Nick's face.

"Physically, he's fine and on some level happy to be home. Emotionally, I think he's about to explode and I don't know how to help him. My test tubes, computers and experiments don't talk back to me. Hunter, on the other hand, can get very loud when he wants to. I'm going to make some coffee. I think we're going to need it."

Bill and Steve made themselves comfortable in the kitchen area. The family had made sure the refrigerator was well stocked. Emmett had decided to try to 'cure' Hunter with muffins and other baked goods. There was a basket piled high with them. About twenty minutes later, Hunter clothed in comfortable sweat pants and shirt, joined them.

"Where did all this stuff come from?" Hunter spied the basket of muffins, a pie from the Munchers, and a fruit basket from Brian and Justin. The refrigerator was jam packed with cold cuts, a whole cooked ham and bottles of juice and water. Plus every type of salad known to man.

"Your friends and family," Bill answered.

Hunter snorted.

"Nick, I believe I left my glasses upstairs. Can you go up there and find them for me?" Steve requested of Nick but in reality he wanted Nick to make himself scarce. Bill and Steve decided to take Brian and Justin's offer to stay at their loft while Hunter was recovering.

"Yeah, sure. I have some phone calls to make anyway. I'll do that upstairs. I'm sure they won't mind." Nick grabbed his keys then went out. Hunter bit into a muffin as the door slid closed.

"You guys going to analyze me?" Hunter asked with a mouthful of muffin.

"Should we?" Bill retorted.

"Seems to me you asked for our help," Steve said sharply. "Have you changed your mind?"

"No but I feel like I'm in a cage, and if I don't get out, something bad is going to happen."

"What can possibly happen to you that could be any worse than what you have already survived?" Steve replied.

"The clinic..."

"What about the clinic?" This time Bill spoke out. "You can't be frightened that someone will find out about your past. You've been upfront about it when anyone asks how you know so much about the streets. And when your kids ask about AIDS and HIV, you're very candid." Bill let that sink in before Steve took up the reins again.

"There is nothing your mother can threaten you with or hold over your head. Your life is pretty much an open book," Steve tried to rationalize the situation.

"What if she thinks I'm rich and wants money?"

"Well, you're not broke. If you wanted to help, I suppose you can," Bill replied.

"What if I don't want to?"

"Then don't. You don't owe her a thing; however, you are better than that. And we know you, son," Steve said softly. "As much as you may not want to help her, you probably will and we'll all be there to support you. May I remind you that you are not alone in this."

Nick entered the loft with Steve's glasses in his hand.

"Is it safe?" Nick asked as he glared at Hunter. Nick knew Hunter couldn't help the 'attitude' but as understanding as Nick was trying to be, it hurt that no one seemed to notice that Nick was suffering too. All Nick wanted to do was to make love to Hunter and take away all his pain.

"Nick!" Steve said loudly and enthusiastically. "You found them, thank you." Steve took the unnecessary driving glasses out of Nick's hands. "And how are you holding up?"

"Me?" Nick was thrown off for a bit.

"Yes you, my boy. This hasn't been easy on you. I know you haven't slept or eaten since Jimmy was taken ill. Why don't you go take a shower while we're chatting? You'll feel so much better afterwards." Steve gently gave Nick a push toward the bathroom.

"Um, okay. I guess I can use a shower and a shave." Nick rubbed at the stubble on his chin. Hunter watched his partner go into the bathroom. After a few minutes the shower came on.

"I'm being a shit to him, aren't I?" Hunter asked the empty plate in front of him.



Bill and Steve didn't bother to answer.

"I should apologize, shouldn't I?" Bill and Steve remained silent.

"Maybe go wash his back?" Hunter asked with a slight smile on his face.

Bill winked. Steve nodded his head. Hunter got up to join his lover in the bathroom.

Finding a large plastic container in the pantry closet, Bill began to raid the refrigerator and all the goodie baskets.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Steve was shocked at Bill's behavior.

"In about fifteen minutes, those boys are going to fly out of that bathroom to hit the sheets. In a month of Sundays they couldn't possibly eat all of this food. Now what have we found in the refrigerator upstairs?" Bill filled the container with all of his favorite muffins and fruit. Next he started on the salads.

Steve contemplated the question, staring up at the ceiling seemingly looking for divine guidance. He took out a carving knife and made short work of the ham.

*****

"Did you hear something?" Hunter asked as Nick drove into him once again. They had been fucking nonstop since they came out of the shower, and once while they were in there.

"Ignore it," Nick replied as he knew he was close.

"Oh fuck, Nick," Hunter gasped as he came with a delicious release.

Nick was right behind him collapsing onto the bed as he stripped off the used condom. "Have I told you that I'm so glad you're home?" Nick asked with a big grin.

"I got the message," Hunter replied with his own grin. "Sorry about being such a bitch."

"It's okay. I know you have some stuff to work out."

"There it is again," Hunter said. "Someone's at the door."

They could both hear the steady pounding on the loft door.

"How did they get to the door? Nobody buzzed up."

"Maybe the front door's broken again," Hunter said.

"It stopped. Must have given up," Nick said with a smile as he pulled Hunter on top of him.

Just then Hunter's cell phone rang. He reached for it on the nightstand. "Hello."

"You're in there fucking, aren't you?" Brian's voice came over the phone.

"Yes," Hunter grinned. "Care to join us? Where are you anyway?" Hunter asked with a frown.

"Outside your door pounding the shit out of it." The knocking resumed louder than ever.

"Shit! Can you give us five minutes?"

"I guess we could go up to the loft while you two have a shower," Brian said in his best put-upon voice.

"Bill and Steve went out," Hunter laughed. "No action in that area."

"Bite your tongue … or Nick's. No, I take that back. Get showered and dressed. I have a little girl here who has something for you."

"Oh, okay. Five minutes, um, make it ten."

"No fucking in the shower. We have places to go and people to see," Brian said before he closed his phone.

"Loft," he said to Justin.

With a knowing grin, Justin pushed the button for the elevator.

Fifteen minutes later Brian pounded on Hunter's door once again. A somewhat flushed but fully clad Nick opened the door.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Brian said clicking his tongue. "You youngun's need to learn how to recover more quickly." He breezed into the room.

"Giving lessons?" Hunter asked with his sexy grin.

Justin came in behind Brian holding Briana's hand. "No, he is not," Justin replied fiercely.

Hunter laughed but then he looked at Bree who was hanging back a little. She clutched some papers in her hand. "There's my girl," Hunter said with a smile.

Bree grinned and asked, "You okay, Hunter?"

"Much better, Squirt," Hunter replied.

"Good," Bree said as she released her father's hand and ran over to the young man. "I worried."

"I'm doing much better," Hunter assured her. "What do you have there?"

"For you," Bree said extending the cards to Hunter. He pulled her up onto his lap. "Patrick and me made them."

"You did? Why thank you. Let's read them." Hunter opened Patrick's card and said, "I hope I don't have to have any needles." He chuckled that the little boy thought you got needles if you were in the hospital. A needle would have been so much easier than what he was facing. "And this one must be yours. What's this on the front?"

"A rainbow," Bree said proudly.

"And a beautiful one it is too," Hunter said.

Bree nodded her head like she had been vindicated in the war over whether rainbows could have brown and black in them.

Hunter opened Bree's card. "You signed this yourself. Good girl!"

"Thank you," Bree said a big smile on her face. Then the smile faded. "Hunter," she said seriously, "don't get sick no more. I don't like it."

"I don't like it either," Hunter said kissing her cheek. "I'll do my best not to get sick again."

"'Kay," Bree said with a smile.

Nick, Justin and Brian had been watching the interaction between Hunter and Bree. Hunter seemed like his old self.

"I made a fresh pot of coffee," Nick said, "and we have muffins, although their numbers have dwindled suspiciously."

"Yay, muffins," Bree crowed. She liked those almost as much as cookies.

"I see she has your appetite, Blondie," Hunter laughed.

Justin made a face. "If you weren't sick…"

"I'm not sick. I'm going to deal with what happens," Hunter said hoping that saying it would make it so.

"Good," Justin said as he dug into a muffin. Since everyone thought he ate so much, he might as well prove them right.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 4

Lacy was just clearing tables from the lunch rush when she heard the bell over the door tinkle. She turned around knowing that she was not going to like what she would see.

"Get out of here," she said through gritted teeth.

"I need to talk to you, to explain," her father said, keeping his voice as low as he could since he was across the diner from his daughter. He knew he better not take a step closer to her or she would probably bolt.

"I don't want to hear anything from you. You had your chance and you blew it!"

"Please, let me…"

"Get out!" Lacy yelled. "Brad, Chuck, would you show this gentleman out?" Lacy spit out the words like they were beneath her contempt and so was the man she was looking at.

Brad and Chuck were two bears in leathers who frequented the diner a lot. They stood up letting their size and bulk speak for them. "Sure, Lacy, anything for you."

Before they could take more than step, Lacy's father raised his hands in a sign that he didn't want any trouble. He turned and walked out the door without a further word.

"Who was that guy, Lacy?" Brad asked as he went to sit down. That was when he noticed Lacy's pale face and shaking body.

"Hey, sweet thing, sit down," Chuck said as he grabbed Lacy around the waist and sat her down in one of the booths.

"Drink this. It'll make you feel a little better," Brad said as he grabbed his untouched glass of water and pressed it against Lacy's lips.

Lacy took a couple of sips and then pushed it away. "I … I'm okay."

"You don't look okay," Brad said. "You look like you just saw a ghost."

"I did," Lacy muttered.

"Who was that?" Chuck asked looking out the front windows of the diner to be sure the guy was gone.

"I … I don't want to talk about it," Lacy said.

"Okay, okay," Chuck said. It was the unwritten law of Liberty Avenue that people didn't have to talk about things or people that they wanted to keep to themselves. Many people on Liberty had secrets they had kept for decades.

"I'm feeling better now," Lacy said as she made herself stand up. "Forget what happened. I'm fine."

"Sure," Brad replied. "But if you ever need help, you know you can call on us."

"That's what I was counting on a few minutes ago," Lacy said softly. "Let me get you some coffee." She strode off behind the counter and picked up the coffeepot. She looked at her hand holding the pot and noted that her hand did not shake. She would not let this start all over again. She couldn't stand it. She walked to Brad and Chuck's booth and calmly refilled their coffee cups. She couldn't help a sideways glance out the window to make sure her father wasn't there.

*****

"Hey," Justin called out as he walked into Brian's office. "Can you take me to lunch?" Justin asked almost seductively.

"Lunch?" Brian asked with a raise of one eyebrow.

"Yes, you know that meal one usually has between breakfast and dinner," Justin snarked.

"With the amount of muffins you consumed earlier I thought that lunch wasn't on the agenda."

"I guess all that worrying about Hunter gave me an appetite," Justin said while slowly batting his lashes at his spouse.

"I think I have a better idea," Brian replied in a low sultry tone. He arose from his desk to capture Justin in a searing kiss. When they finally came up for air, Justin was more than a little curious.

"What's gotten into you?

"You, I hope, and as soon as possible. I want you and now."

"Our loft is occupied," Justin said breathlessly.

"I know. Terry's?"

"No, I don't want to share you and I want to be on something larger than a gurney."

"The Plaza. We keep a couple of rooms as back-up for out of town clients. Let me call over there and see if I can get us booked in for the afternoon."

"What about Bree?"

"She'll be fine in school and I bet one of her Gamma's wouldn't mind picking her up if we run late."

"Hurry, Bri."

Within the hour, Brian and Justin were lounging in a suite at the Plaza. All of Justin's favorite snacks were on a cart next to the bed. The Kinnetik School had been notified that if Brian's 'meeting' ran late, Gamma Jenn would come by to pick up Bree. Brian was on his belly with a pillow under his hips to accommodate Justin. Justin, sensing that Brian was not in the mood for gentleness, was doing his best to make sure Brian would feel him for days. They came within moments of each other, Justin staying atop his lover until his softened cock slid out. Justin lay on top of Brian, their fingers entwined, their legs locked together. Justin feathered a myriad of kisses on Brian's back and shoulders.

"You okay?" Justin managed when he caught his breath.

"Yeah."

"What brought this on?"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't usually leave work for mid afternoon trysts, even if it is with me."

"I, um..." Justin nuzzled the back of Brian's neck to encourage him. "Hunter, Nick, life..." Justin realized what Brian meant.

"I know. I couldn't live without you either." Justin wrapped his arms around as much of Brian as he could and still remain on Brian's back.

"Yeah," Brian whispered, secure in his lover's arms.

*****

"Hello."

"Debbie, it's Danny."

"Hiya, honey."

"How is Hunter?"

"He's home with Nick. Bill and Steve are providing counseling."

"You don't seem happy about it."

"I don't understand it. I don't understand why Hunter would confide in strangers and not in his family. I'm his grandmother, for fuck's sake. And Michael loves him so much."

"Sometimes love isn't enough. Give Hunter a few days to get his head together. And I'm sure Nick was scared shitless throughout all of this. I bet he needs Bill and Steve as much as Hunter does."

"I guess so. I just feel so useless."

"You're far from useless. I'm sure you must have cooked up a storm for the boys."

"Damn straight, I did. And I have a tray of lasagna in the oven."

"There you are! See, not useless at all."

"I suppose so. Oh! My oven timer just went off, I have to go."

"Okay, Deb. You give the boys my love."

"I will, Danny, and thanks."

Just as Danny hung up the phone, it rang immediately.

"Hello?"

"Danny, it's Mel."

"How are you, Melanie?"

"Fine. I was wondering if you had any plans tonight for dinner."

"No, not really. Why?"

"I realize this is short notice but we were wondering if you'd like to come here for dinner. Nothing fancy, just some chicken, but if you don't have anything else..."

"Melanie, I'd love to join you for dinner. But I must insist on bringing dessert and some wine."

"You don't..."

"A lady never arrives empty handed," Danny explained with a touch of his Divina voice.

"That would be lovely," Melanie acquiesced. "Around seven?"

"See you then." When they ended their call, Danny stared at the phone in amazement for a few moments. "Well, fuck me!"

*****

"Hello."

"Jimmy, baby, it's mommy. Please don't hang up."

"What do you want?" Hunter asked between clenched teeth. Bill and Steve had joined Hunter and Nick for supper. They were letting it settle before deciding on which pie to slice into.

"I want to see you."

"Why?"

"I need to talk to you."

"We're talking now."

"But it's so impersonal on the phone."

"There's nothing I want to hear from you."

"I know we left it badly the last time we saw each other."

"Badly?! Badly, doesn't begin to cover it. You tried to take me away from my parents!" Hunter screamed into the phone. Nick went immediately to Hunter's side and took the phone out of Hunter's hand.

"Ms Montgomery, I'm Nicholas Shaw, Hunter's partner. What do you want?"

"Who are you?"

"Hunter's partner, his life partner."

"You're fucking kidding me, right?"

"No, why would I kid you?"

"Did he tell you he has AIDS?"

"I know about his positive status."

"Then you must be a fucking fag with a death wish."

"Ms Montgomery, if you don't tell me what you want I'll just hang up."

"NO! Wait! I just want to see him. I'm not feeling so good. I thought we could have lunch some time."

"Lunch. Let me tell you what I think you want. Hunter's name has been in the papers lately associated with a highly successful fundraiser and gala for our local clinic. I think you know that and thought maybe you could capitalize on it."

"How dare you!" Rita Montgomery screamed into the phone.

"I dare, Ms Montgomery, I dare. I love Hunter and I won't stand by and see him hurt by you or anyone. If you want to have lunch with Hunter, then that invitation includes me." Before Rita Montgomery could say anything, Nick slammed down the phone. "Son of a bitch," he muttered under his breath.

"That's me, a son of a bitch," Hunter said softly, his voice hitching.

Nick wrapped his arms around his lover then admonished him. "Never say that again, you understand me. I love you, James Hunter Montgomery. I love you. You're smart, beautiful and the most caring man I know. You have nothing in common with that woman except for your last names. I wouldn't be surprised if she really wasn't your mother and even if she is, I don't care. You're better than her. And we do this together. You understand me?! Together!"

"Together," Hunter repeated as he buried himself into Nick's chest. Bill and Steve made themselves scarce.

*****

"Hi, Gamma Jenn," Bree said as she saw her grandmother come through the door of the daycare at Kinnetik.

"Hi, sweetheart, did you have a good day at school?" Jennifer asked.

Bree nodded. "Where Dada and Daddy?"

"Um … they had meetings, so I said I would pick you up and give you dinner. Are you ready to come home with me?"

"Yes," Bree said picking up her Dora the Explorer backpack.

"Hi, Mrs. Taylor," said one of the aides in the daycare. "Briana did her printing today. I thought you might like to take this to her fathers."

"Oh, sure," Jennifer said. She took the paper from the woman and looked at the page where Bree had been printing her name. Each version of the name had a huge "b" to start it off.

"Bree, honey, your printing is getting better all the time, but why did you make such a big 'b" to start your name?"

"Cuz."

"Cuz why?" Jennifer asked. She didn't understand.

Bree frowned and didn't say anything.

"Maybe I can answer that for you," Emily, the head of the daycare said. "Bree was making her 'b's' backwards, so she practised a page of those before she started her name. The 'b' may be large because she was focusing so hard on it."

"Thank you," Jennifer said as she took Bree's hand. "Let's go, sweetheart."

As Jennifer buckled her granddaughter into her seat in the car, Bree frowned and said, "Gamma Jenn, I make big 'b's' cuz Patrick told me that my name should start with a big 'b'. Didn't I do it right?" Bree looked very concerned.

Jennifer tried not to laugh. Now that made sense to her, more than what Emily had explained. "You did just fine, honey."

Bree smiled briefly and then looked seriously at her grandmother. "Is there another kind of big 'b'?" she asked.

Jennifer's mouth dropped open. How did the little minx figure that out? Jennifer decided that she better be truthful with her very smart granddaughter. "Actually, what Patrick called 'big letters' are really called capital letters. That's the correct term. Can you say 'capital letters'?"

Bree parroted the words back to her grandmother.

"Would you like me to show you what a capital letter looks like when we get home?"

"Yes," Bree said nodding her head enthusiastically.

"Okay, we'll practice putting a capital 'B' as the first letter of your name. Would you like that?"

Bree nodded again as Jennifer watched her in the rearview mirror. Bree was thinking that she would be able to show Patrick that she could print her name perfectly next time the occasion arose. She liked to know things and do them properly. She didn't like it when Patrick knew things she didn't. She'd practise her name many times at Gamma Jenn's. She'd practise until it was perfect. She smiled to herself.

Jennifer noted the smile on Bree's face as she headed for home. Briana was growing up and getting smarter every day. Jennifer wondered what Bree was thinking about that made her smile like that. "What would you like for dinner?" Jennifer asked as they headed in the direction of her house.

"Hot dogs!" Bree shouted.

Some things never changed.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 5

"Damn!" Jennifer exclaimed then cringed. Briana was very capable of remembering the words no one wanted her to remember.

"What's a matter, Gamma?"

"I don't have any hotdogs at home."

"Oh." Bree looked crestfallen.

"Not to worry, we'll stop at the store before we go home and buy what we need."

"Yay!" Bree's smile returned.

Jennifer turned into her local market to pick up the fixings for their hotdog supper. Finding a shopping cart with four working wheels, Jenn lifted Bree to put her in the seat. Jennifer noticed the slight frown on her granddaughter's face.

"What is it, sweetheart? Is the seat uncomfortable?"

"No."

"Then why the sad face?"

"I don't ride when I go shopping with Daddy and Dada."

"No, why? Don't you like to ride?"

"Yes, I like it but Dada carry me."

Jennifer chuckled. "Honey, that's because your Dada loves you so much that he doesn't want you ever to be out of his arms. But I bet if you ask nicely the next time you all go shopping, your Dada will let you sit in the cart." Jennifer tried to remain stoic as Bree thought about what her grandmother said. Bree's happy smile came back.

Bree and Jennifer were almost finished shopping. They were rounding a corner, making their way to the checkout counter when their cart bumped into another cart.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Jennifer started before she saw who she bumped into.

"No, my mistake...Jenn?"

"Craig, what are you doing here?"

"Uh, shopping?" Craig replied then Jennifer blushed at the silliness of her question.

"So are we. Someone requested hotdogs for dinner and I'm all out."

"Ah, I seem to recall you never kept hotdogs in the house. I remember sneaking the kids out to the pier to buy them."

"I never knew." Jennifer was astounded. Briana watched the pleasant banter and wanted to join in.

"You not grumpy today, Gampa?" Bree's eyes were wide and so very blue. Craig reached over to caress the fine strawberry blond hair that was done up in the Pebbles Flintstone style.

"No, not grumpy today, sweetheart. She's beautiful, Jenn. Her hair, so much like Molly but her eyes, her skin, my God, so like Justin when he was little. I've missed so much, haven't I?" Jennifer nodded, she couldn't find her voice.

Slowly they wheeled their carts to the checkout aisle.

"Craig, would you like to join us for dinner, that's if Susan wouldn't mind."

"She went to spend the evening with her mother. I was here to pick up something for dinner."

"Gampa, you like hotdogs?"

"Yes, Briana, I love hotdogs." Craig turned to face his ex-wife. "I don't think I should."

"What harm can it do? We have to eat, you have to eat and I have plenty. Join us, Craig. Get to know your granddaughter a little better." Craig nodded. They paid for their groceries then Craig followed Jennifer and Bree back to Jenn's house.

*****

"Shit. Brian, what time is it? We fell asleep." Justin jumped out of bed and began scrambling for his clothes.

"Fuck, it's almost eight. Your mother is going to be royally pissed. You better call her." Brian quickly washed up then got dressed.

"Me? You're the one who suggested this afternoon tete-a-tete. You call her."

"We'll both call her, from the car. Come on, Sunshine, let's boogie."

*****

"Justin, you sure your mother wasn't angry?" Brian asked as he parked their SUV in front of Jennifer's house.

"No, she wasn't. She sounded kind of happy."

"Happy as in she got to spend time with her favorite grandchild, happy, or she was going to get lucky, happy."

Justin gave his spouse a swat in the ribs before he got out of the car. "Ew, that's my mom and Bree's grandmother you're talking about. I don't want to even think about her doing it with someone."

"Doing it? What are you - twelve? Your mother is a very attractive woman and you know what they say about mature women." Justin used his spare key to let them into his mother's house.

"God, Brian, my mother wouldn't do anything with...Dad?"

*****

"Dinner was lovely, ladies, I'm stuffed," Danny said as he rubbed his full belly.

"Would you like some coffee?" Lindsay asked Danny. "The tarts you brought look luscious." Lindsay put on a pot of coffee then arranged the fruity treats neatly on a serving dish.

"Yes, thank you," Danny replied. Throughout the evening JR sat close to her grandfather. She relished that he conversed with her almost as an adult. They discussed the progress Danny was making on his new house and about her school work. Even Gus enjoyed talking with Danny. He found Danny's exploits as Divina fascinating.

"Gus, are you thinking of taking up the baton, so to speak?" Danny asked much to the horror of Gus' mothers.

"Fuck no! Sorry, Mom. I just liked watching the bowling tournament and the show at the theater." Gus blushed with his admission.

"I see. And which lady tickled your fancy?" Danny found amusing the similarities and the differences between the elder Kinney and his son.

"Abunda Ass-set!" Gus' blush deepened.

"Gus!" Melanie and Lindsay shouted out together. Danny couldn't help but laugh.

*****

"Baby, how are you feeling?" Nick and Hunter were cuddling together in their bed.

"Better, since we turned off the phone," Hunter whispered into his lover's chest.

"We can't hide forever."

"I know and I don't intend to but can I just take a short break from the world for a while?"

"Sure. Only promise me something."

"Anything."

"That you remain conscious as you're doing it."

"I promise." The lovers kissed then snuggled down to sleep.

*****

"What's the matter, Michael? Can't sleep?" Michael was pacing in his living room. He shrugged off Ben's question.

"Fucking Brian," Michael grumbled.

"What, baby?"

"I said, fucking Brian," Michael repeated loudly. Ben waited for the inevitable gripe. "He knew that Hunter woke up and what does he do? He tells Steve to go in to see him. Not me, or Nick or the doctor. Steve! Well this is the last time I let him interfere with my family."

"Michael, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I never want to see Brian Kinney again."

"Michael, we have to remain calm. Brian's our friend."

"Not anymore and if you love me, you won't be his friend either!"

"Michael, be reasonable. He's your oldest and dearest friend. You can't be serious."

"Yes, I can. I will never, ever speak to Brian Kinney again for the rest of my life."

*****

"Christ," Justin said shaking his head.

"What?" Brian asked looking in the rearview mirror to make sure Briana was asleep. She had dozed off almost as soon as they had put her in her car seat. Brian was pretty sure he knew what was bothering his husband.

"Do you believe my fucking father?"

"I thought he was very well behaved … for Craig Taylor."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, he didn't ram my fucking car or kick in my ribs."

"Brian…"

"He was … pleasant … enough."

"What the fuck was he doing there?"

"Having dinner with Jenn and Bree."

"But why?"

"How the fuck should I know? Apparently your mother invited him."

"Why now? We're trying to keep Bree away from him."

"Your mother didn't know that."

"I just don't get it," Justin said shaking his head. "All the times I've tried to make overtures to him, and he told me to drop dead. And now, when we pull back, he keeps showing up."

Brian looked in the rearview mirror at his sleeping angel. "I think Bree may have started to weave her spell on him," Brian whispered.

"But we decided that wasn't a good idea."

"Too late."

"What?" Justin asked.

"I know the spell she casts. Once you're in, you can't free yourself … and you don't want to."

"But…"

"Justin, I know I was the one who was worried about Bree, but Craig doesn't seem to want to walk away from her. That's what I was worried about."

"Maybe he can't, if Bree's 'spell' is so powerful." Justin made air quotes around 'spell'.

"She's one powerful little bundle," Brian chuckled as he took another look at her in the mirror.

"I'm not sure I like the sound of that," Justin replied turning to look at Bree asleep in her car seat.

"I always knew you Taylors were a fatal attraction."

Justin looked into Brian's eyes, and for a split second he smiled at Brian's admission. Then the smile faded. "I don't want anyone to get hurt … or die."

"Neither do I, Sunshine, neither do I."

*****

Lacy walked up the steps of Debbie's house. She had been working since six o'clock in the morning and it was almost ten at night. She was taking the long shifts so that she could make as much money as possible. The specter of PIFA loomed large in front of her, and she still wasn't sure how she was going to swing it.

She opened the door and stepped inside to the sound of voices. She frowned as she came into the living room. There she stopped dead in her tracks. "What the fuck are you doing here?" She glared at her father who was seated at the kitchen table with Debbie.

It was on the tip of Roman's tongue to say something glib like he was having coffee with a beautiful redhead, but he thought better of that.

"I came here so that I could speak to you," he said simply.

"I don't want to speak to you. I don't want to see you and I don't want you trying to insinuate yourself into my life. Leave me the fuck alone!" Lacy turned and ran up the stairs.

Roman and Debbie heard her door slam.

"That went well," Debbie said.

"I should go."

"Yeah, you probably should. I … enjoyed our chat," Debbie said.

"Any way that you can help Lacy see reason, I'd really appreciate it," Roman stated as he headed for the door.

"I'll do my best." Debbie closed the door behind Lacy's father. With a sigh she went up the stairs. At Lacy's door she hesitated. Then she gave a brief knock before pushing it open. She knew if she asked for permission, Lacy would tell her to get lost. She had to take matters into her own hands.

"Leave me alone," Lacy said coldly burying her face in her pillow as she lay on her bed.

"I know he hurt you when he didn't come to the gala," Debbie said gently.

"Or when he didn't call for weeks afterwards," Lacy muttered bitterly.

"He needs you … and you need him."

"He has a funny way of showing that."

"He came here to plead his case," Debbie said as she sat down on the edge of Lacy's bed. At least the girl wasn't throwing things at her.

"And of course you bought it hook, line and sinker."

"I didn't buy anything, Lacy. I just listened." Debbie reached out to touch Lacy's shoulder. The girl jerked her body away. "It never hurts to listen."

"Yes, it does when it's all lies."

"But he sounded sincere. He really wants to make it right with you."

"That's what he said last time, and when I listened, he … left." Lacy gulped and swallowed her tears. She would not cry over her fucking father.

"Do you know what he told me?"

"I don't care what he told you."

Debbie ignored Lacy's reaction and plowed ahead. The girl needed to hear this. "He's been going to counseling about what happened to you and his part in it. He wants to know more about you being gay. I gave him some PFLAG information and told him he should contact the branch in Scranton. He said it took him some time to get over the shock of what you told him … and then there's the guilt he feels for making these things happen to you."

"He thinks he made me gay?" Lacy asked with a frown as she sat up and looked at Debbie for the first time since the older woman had entered her room.

"That's what he thought, but the counselors are helping him to see that it's not anybody's fault."

"And you believed all this?" Lacy asked starting to believe a bit of it herself. She wasn't sure she wanted to though.

"I do believe he's confused and upset and guilty. How could he be otherwise?"

Lacy snorted. "So he's upset! Who cares?"

"I think you care, even if you don't want to admit it."

"I don't think so," Lacy said defiantly. She didn't want to admit any such thing.

"Lacy, I've known a lot of lost boys that have passed through the diner. I've seen them thrown out by their parents, sometimes beaten up, unable to ever go home. You have a chance with your father. I think you'd be very foolish not to take it."

Lacy shook her head. "I don't think I can."

"I know you can, if you want to. Think about it. That's all I ask."

"I don't know," Lacy said sadly.

"Yes, you do," Debbie told her before she left the room. Lacy needed time to think and let Debbie's words sink in. Debbie hoped her words would be enough.


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 6

Ben awoke to the sound of dishes clinking together and pots and pans rattling.

"What the fuck?" he said as he sat up in bed. Michael was not there with him. He got up and made his way downstairs. Michael was in the kitchen battering any item that got in his way. "What the fuck are you doing? It's five to six."

"I'm making breakfast," Michael said in his best surly voice.

"Usually that requires some food to land in the pans and plates that you're tossing around."

"Go back to bed if you're going to criticize," Michael said belligerently.

"Michael, stop taking out your frustrations about Brian on the china and pots and pans."

Michael snorted. "I'm making breakfast," he repeated like that solved everything.

"I'm going to have a shower and get dressed. Try to find your softer side by then." Ben trudged up the stairs.

"Find your softer side," Michael muttered to himself. "Hardy har har har! Fucking idiot, Brian! Who the fuck does he think he is?"

*****

"Dada! Daddy! Get up!" Bree ordered as she climbed onto the big bed in her fathers' bedroom.

"What time is it?" Brian asked as he pried an eye open.

"Late," Bree replied.

"It's quarter after six," Justin said.

"Fuck!" Brian replied as he buried his head in his pillow.

"Up, Dada. Hungry," Bree said.

"I'm not hungry," Brian mumbled.

"I hungry," Bree stated. "Silly Dada."

"Yeah, silly Dada, get up and feed her," Justin told his husband.

"You get up and feed her."

"No, you."

Bree frowned as nobody seemed to be getting up to feed her. She let out a long sigh. When nobody moved she decided to take matters into her own hands. She climbed down off the bed and headed for the door.

Brian opened one eye. "Where are you going, Squirt?"

"I find food," she said.

"No, come back here," Brian told her.

"No!" She ran out the door.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted as he threw back the sheets and got up. He pulled on some sweatpants and went to see what his precocious daughter was doing.

He found Bree dragging a chair from the kitchen table towards the cupboards where the Cheerios were kept.

"What do you think you're doing, Missy?" Brian demanded as he watched her struggle with the chair.

"I get breakfast," she stated.

"Not by climbing on a chair."

Bree frowned. It wasn't often that her Dada told her she couldn't do something. "Why?" she demanded. "I hungry."

"It's not safe for you to be climbing up on chairs and counters," Brian said. "You might get hurt."

"Oh," Bree replied considering what her father was telling her. "Help me, Dada?" She gave Brian her best smile and batted her baby blues.

"You are such a flirt."

"Yes, Dada," she said primly.

Brian had to laugh. He scooped her up and tipped her sideways blowing a raspberry on her belly where her pajama top separated from the bottom. Bree giggled happily. Justin simply had to join his family. He couldn't stand the thought of missing all the fun.

*****

"Morning, baby," Nick said softly as Hunter's eyes fluttered open.

"Hi. What time is it?"

"Just after eight. I wish I could stay home with you another day but I have to go back to work."

"I know and I'm sorry I made you miss all that time."

"You have nothing to apologize for. You're my partner and I have every right to be with you when you don't feel well."

"That's just it. My body is well; it's my brain that doesn't want to work right."

"That is so untrue. You've had a shock, a bad shock. We've identified the cause and now we're ready to take it on. Remember what Steve said, you're not alone in this. Now I want you to promise me that if she calls again, you won't see her on your own. I want to be there. If not me, then take Steve or Bill with you. Hell, take Debbie with you. She'll beat the crap out of Rita."

"Yeah, you're right. Do you think I should go to the clinic today?"

"Bill and Steve will be down here around ten. Why don't you wait until after your session with them? Then if you feel up to it, you and Bill can go to the clinic together. How does that sound?"

"Sounds like a plan to me. Um, Nick, what time do you have to be at the hospital?"

"Nine, why?"

"Think anyone will notice if you're a few minutes late?" Hunter waggled his eyebrows at his lover.

"My test tubes won't tell a soul," Nick said then pounced on Hunter.

*****

"What's on your agenda for today, Sunshine?" Brian was almost dressed. They were preparing to go into Pittsburgh for the day.

"I have to go to the gallery for a while. Sidney wants me to sign some certificates of authenticity for the paintings and sketches that were sold at auction and, um, Bri…?" Justin hesitated to continue.

"What?"

"I was due in New York earlier this week."

"Shit, your Old Masters opened at Kyle's gallery, right?" Justin nodded. "Is he pissed?"

"No, I called him and he understood but he wants me for this weekend."

"For cheese and crackers and cheap wine?"

"Something like that. I did promise."

"I know and I promised to go with you."

"So what should we do?"

"You leave that up to me, I'll get you there. Is Miss Squirt ready?"

"I ready, Dada!" Bree came into her daddies' room dragging her backpack. "We go to work and school?"

"Yup. Let's head 'em up and move 'em out!" Brian shouted.

"You silly, Dada," Bree informed her Dada.

"Yup!" Brian affirmed with a silly grin. The Kinney/Taylor family went to work.

*****

Debbie had let herself into Brian's building using the key he had given her a very long time ago. She took the elevator up to the third floor, hesitating at Hunter's door. She had spoken to Nick at the diner a few hours earlier. He was running late and came for a coffee and bagel to go. Nick had said Hunter was doing much better, making progress with his counseling and that he'd probably be back at the clinic next week. Debbie was feeling a little guilty at the way she treated Brian and had more than a few questions for Hunter. She was hoping that he was up to answering them for her. She knocked on the door.

"Hi, Deb," Hunter greeted Debbie cheerfully as he slid open the door.

"Sweetheart, how the hell are you?" Debbie drew Hunter into her bosom and nearly hugged the stuffing out of him.

"I'm fine, Debbie," Hunter replied when he was released then caught his breath. "Do you want some tea or coffee?"

"Tea would be nice, if I'm not interrupting anything," Debbie looked around the apartment but Hunter was alone.

"We're alone. Bill went to the clinic and Steve went back upstairs. They're going home on Sunday."

"Honey, can you tell me what happened? I don't understand when you woke up, why Brian didn't call for the doctor?"

"Deb, I made Brian go out to get Steve. He wanted to call the doctor but I asked him not to."

"Why?"

"It's hard to explain and some of it's confidential."

"Between you and Brian?"

"Partly, mainly between me and Steve. Debbie, do you really think there's something going on between me and Brian?" Debbie winced, giving Hunter a little shrug. "Christ! When I was younger, I would have done just about anything to get inside that man's pants. Now, he's my best friend. He believes in me, Debbie."

"Lots of people believe in you. I think it hurt Michael when you didn't want to see him as soon as you woke up."

"I know and I plan to apologize to him. As soon as I build up the nerve to go outside. I'm not ready yet."

"So there's never been anything between you and Brian?"

"No, Debbie. Other than me indulging in some heavy fantasies about him, no. Blondie has him all to himself and for a very long time."

"But the clinic, the farm, you going for your masters, you never would have done any of that if you stayed home."

"You're probably right. Brian encouraged me to follow my heart. John, Claire, Bobby, Steve and Bill all helped give me direction. Even Blondie had some input."

"I still don't understand why you went to them instead of us."

"Debbie, this isn't a contest. I didn't set out to hurt or spite you. I love you and Michael and Ben. But I needed something else at the time. Brian wanted to tell you all that I was at the farm but I swore him to secrecy. I hired Bobby as my lawyer; he wouldn't break the client/attorney confidence. And Bill was my counselor, is my counselor, he certainly wouldn't break a confidence. And Steve, we connected on many levels."

"How?"

"Besides that man having the patience of a saint, he was able to relate to what I was experiencing and by helping me he helped himself. Look, I can't go into it because I don't have Steve's permission. It kind of involves his son."

"His son? I didn't know Steve had a son. Where's he been hiding him?"

"Jimmy died a long time ago. He and Bobby were friends in high school."

"Steve's son was named Jimmy?"

"Yes, now do you get it?"

"Some of it but not all of it and maybe I don't need to. What I do need to do is to go upstairs and apologize to Steve. I said some unkind things to him."

"Bet you thought up worse things to say," Hunter smirked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well, yeah, I just hope he forgives me."

"He will; he's a good man, just like someone else we know." Hunter used his counseling voice with that statement. Debbie knew exactly to whom Hunter was referring.

"Are you implying that I should eat crow and apologize to Brian too?"

"If the feathers fit..."

"Shit."

Hunter gave Debbie a kiss on the cheek then sent her on her way.

*****

"Mrs. Horvath, what a nice surprise. What can I do for you?" Steve greeted Debbie formally if somewhat coolly. He stepped aside allowing Debbie into the loft.

"I came here to say I'm sorry," Debbie mumbled.

"I beg your pardon. I didn't get that," Steve replied.

"I said I'm sorry. I jumped to all the wrong conclusions and I should have waited to hear the facts before I went off. I just came from Hunter's apartment and he set me straight on a few things."

"I see. Would you like some coffee?" Steve asked in a warmer, friendlier tone.

"No, thank you. I have to run. I have to deliver another apology."

"To a tall brunet advertising executive?"

"The very same," Debbie confirmed as she scanned the loft.

"What is it, Deb?" Steve saw a wistful look in the woman's eye.

"This loft, so many memories, so many tricks."

"But a lot of love?"

"Yes, that's true. After all these years, I wonder why he won't give it up."

"Because of the love."

Steve and Debbie smiled at each other. She nodded then left to deliver her other apology.

*****

"Brian," Cynthia called over his intercom, "there's a Mrs. Horvath here to see you. Can I send her in?"

"Yeah, sure, Cyn," Brian stated, confused and concerned. He stood up from his desk, securing the buttons on his suit jacket then crossed to the door.

"Deb, what's wrong? And why the formality?" Brian guided his surrogate mother to a chair and held it while she sat. "Is everything okay?" Brian crouched in front of Debbie, taking her hands in his.

"Yes, kiddo, I'm fine. I'm just embarrassed as hell."

"Why?" Brian had forgotten the scene at the hospital. He was more concerned about Hunter than anything else.

"I'm an idiot," Debbie murmured.

"Aw, Maw, no you're not."

"Yes I am, honey. I jumped to the wrong conclusions, again. I almost hit you and I might have delayed Hunter's recovery if you didn't act so quickly. I'm just so..."

"You're a loving, caring woman, Maw. You would have gotten it eventually."

"By then Hunter may have sunk so deep that no one could reach him."

"Never happen, he's a lot stronger than that," Brian stated emphatically then stood to lean on his desk. "He's a good man with a good and loving partner. He got a second chance to make a life for himself and he did it with a vengeance."

"He had help, as I recall." Debbie's eyes sparkled at Brian.

"We all need help, now and then."

"Even you?"

"Especially me."

"You forgive me, sweetheart?"

"There's nothing to forgive, Maw."

"Brian honey, Michael, he's convinced that you're interfering with his family. He doesn't want to see or speak with you," Debbie was obviously hurt that her son would treat his oldest friend in this manner.

"Debbie, Michael and I have butted heads in the past and I'm sure we'll do it again. He'll come around, eventually."

"I'm not so sure this time."

"Then it's his loss. I love him but we keep going around in circles. I don't have time for it. When he's ready to listen, I'll talk to him. Maybe he'll listen to you. Either way, try to get him to know that I love him and that hunk of a husband of his. My door is always open to both of them."

"I will, Brian. I'll try to get him to see reason. I love you, honey." Debbie stood to hug Brian around his neck.

"Love you too, Maw," Brian said softly as he snaked his arms around Debbie.

*****

"Hello?"

"Jimmy, it's Mommy, baby. Please don't hang up. I really want to see you. Can we meet somewhere?"

"Yeah, sure. Give me a number where I can reach you. I'll call you with the time and the place."

"Sure, Jimmy, sure. Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet." Hunter took down the number then cut the connection. He had a lot of planning to do.


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 7

"Brian, there's a Mr. Bruckner here to see you."

Brian sighed. "Send him in," he said into the intercom. "What is with the fucking formalities today?" he muttered to the empty office.

"Professor," Brian said as Ben came in the door. "What can I do for you?" He already suspected the purpose of Ben's visit based on what Debbie had told him.

"Michael," was all Ben said. Brian and Ben had known each other long enough that the one word spoke volumes between them.

"Oh him! Short, dark hair, puppy dog eyes, unpredictable temper."

"You know, don't you?" Ben said more as a statement than a question.

Brian nodded. "Debbie."

Ben nodded in understanding. They had developed a Michael shorthand, as Brian once called it, over the years of dealing with the dark haired queen.

"So what's he doing this time that sent you scampering over here to see me?" Brian asked.

"Bitchier than usual, slamming pots and pans around, grumbling and muttering."

"The usual."

"Yep."

"What can I do?"

"Not sure. He never wants to speak to you again," Ben explained.

Brian sighed. "If I had a dime for every time he's said that since I've known him, I could buy a fucking donut and coffee."

Ben laughed. "Like you'd ever do that."

"Sit down, Professor. Maybe we can figure something out."

*****

"Michael," Emmett grinned as Michael stepped out of the back room of the comic book store.

"What can I do for you?" Michael said formally.

"You fucking called me!" Emmett retorted. He had been awakened out of a sound sleep all snuggled up against Drewsie when his cell phone had gone off. The sound of "Caribbean Queen" playing loudly had jolted him back to reality. The call had been from Michael whining and looking for sympathy because Brian had once again wronged him. Emmett had been too groggy to utter the right responses so Michael had hung up on him. After that Emmett had been unable to get back to sleep, so a couple of hours later here he was being abused once more by his friend.

"Forget it," Michael said haughtily.

"You wake me out of a sound sleep and now you tell me to forget it?" Emmett's voice was gradually rising with each word.

"Come into the back," Michael said grudgingly, taking Emmett's arm and dragging him back into the storeroom. "Don't make a scene."

"I'll fucking make a scene if I want to. What did Brian do this time?"

Michael shook his head. "He told Steve to go into Hunter's room at the hospital. I'm Hunter's father and he wouldn't let me go in. Who died and made him fucking God?"

"Michael, I don't know what was going on but I'm sure Brian must have had a good reason for doing that."

"Sure, defend the great Brian Kinney! You're just like all the rest."

"Haven't you learned anything about Brian after all these years?" Emmett asked him. "I'm sure Brian was doing what he thought was best."

Michael crossed his arms on his chest and gave Emmett that look that said "I know I'm right and I'm pissed with you for not agreeing with me".

"Why don't you talk to Brian about it? Find out why he did that."

"I'm never speaking to that asshole again," Michael declared.

"May I ask why you called me when you obviously don't want to listen to anything I suggest?"

"I wanted…"

"You wanted me to tell you that you're right and Brian's wrong. Well, those days are long gone, Michael. I don't support anyone without knowing the facts. Talk to Brian … or Hunter, and find out the fucking facts."

Michael glared at his friend but refused to say anything.

Emmett sighed. "I feel the need of a little retail therapy. I could use a new outfit. See ya, Michael," Emmett called cheerily as he exited the shop.

"Fucking asshole!" Michael muttered at Emmett's retreating form. No one ever understood.

*****

"Hunter, are you in there?" Something made Steve want to come down to Hunter's apartment and check on him. He was knocking loudly on the door.

"Keep your shirt on!" Steve could hear through the door. Hunter slid back the heavy metal door. "Where's the fire?" Hunter snarked then stepped aside to allow Steve to enter.

"I could ask you the same," Steve said noting that Hunter was somewhat out of breath.

"Bathroom," was all that Hunter needed to say.

Steve nodded. "Sorry about that."

"It happens, but I'm glad you came down. I got an interesting phone call earlier."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, dear old mom wants to meet with her baby boy."

"And your reply?"

"I wrote down her info and told her I'd get back to her."

"And are you planning to get back to her?"

"Yes, I am but not without protection. I learned my lesson. I'm not just a pretty face, you know." Hunter smirked; he was getting a grip on his feelings and on how his mother affected him. He had no plans of losing himself within himself again and every intention of using the help the family had offered him.

"Good boy. So tell me your plan and my part in it."

*****

"Hey, Jus," Brian strode into the Bloom gallery look for Justin Taylor, artiste extraordinaire.

"Hey, Bri, this is a pleasant surprise." Justin crossed the gallery floor to give his partner a kiss.

"I'm just full of surprises," Brian smirked with his patented tongue in cheek grin.

"What are you up to?" Justin stood with his hands on his hips knowing Brian all too well. Justin scrutinized his partner closely.

"Just keeping my word about getting us to New York for Friday night. I wanted to check in with you first before I did anything. You know, us being equal partners and all." Brian wandered around the gallery, casually gazing at the exhibits and feeling Justin's eyes boring through him. Brian had momentarily flustered his spouse. Brian liked that.

"Asshole. You're planning something, something I may not like, so instead of doing it behind my back, you're doing it in front of my face."

"I'm losing my touch, aren't I," Brian stated as he twisted his head trying to understand a very abstract sculpture in front of him. He thought it looked like two guys in the 69 position but he wasn't sure. When he crossed his eyes, Justin broke out into laughter.

"Yes, they are doing what you think they're doing, and no, you haven't lost your touch. I'm just on to you. Kyle would like us to be at his gallery around seven Friday night and then spend most of Saturday there. We can come home on Sunday and Sidney said we can use his loft while we're there. No need to get a hotel room. He's having it cleaned and aired out but he wants us to give it the once over to make sure it's in good repair. His place isn't used that often and he doesn't want to sublet."

"That fits into my plan very nicely. I had some interesting visitors today at Kinnetik and one very interesting phone call." Justin gave Brian a screwed up look. "No need to worry your pretty little blond head about it. You leave the details to me."

Justin snorted. "That's what I'm worried about," Justin snarked but left it in Brian's capable hands. "Can we get lunch? My hand needs a break." Justin had been signing COA's and posters all morning long.

"Sure, your stomach waits for no man, Sunshine." They let Sidney know they were going to lunch then Brian and Justin left the building.

*****

"Susan!" Craig exclaimed. "What brings you to my office? You don't often visit. Are you free for lunch?" Craig kissed his wife gently. They were getting along better these days.

"Yes, I am but you may not want to go with me after I discuss what I came here to talk about." Susan had gotten a phone call from a certain Brian Kinney.

"That sound ominous."

"Yes, well, as I said you may not feel like lunch afterwards."

"I'll take my chances. Sit and tell me about your phone call." Susan made herself as comfortable as she could and then proceeded to be brutally honest with her husband. Brian had suggested that all of the skulking around, plots, and using Bree to get to Craig, while somewhat effective, were slow going and could have disastrous consequences. Meaning that Briana could get hurt, as well as Molly. Brian suggested honesty.

"So all this time, you and Justin have been using Briana to get to me?" Craig didn't sound angry, more shocked than anything else.

Susan nodded; tears were forming in her eyes. "It didn't start off that way, not really. Bree's your son's daughter. So sweet and beautiful, I ached to get to know her and spend time with her. I miss not having children around."

The tears fell freely, Craig urged her to continue speaking.

"I enjoyed baby-sitting, baking cookies and reading to her. And Justin and I thought that if you got to know her, see that she's so lovely, you wouldn't mind so much who her parents are. Craig, Justin has never stopped loving you but you forced him into making a choice. A choice he never wanted, but had to make. For all intents and purposes, he and Brian are married. Could you make a decision like that? Justin chose to be with his partner, above all else and now his daughter and his partner. It wasn't easy for him to walk away from his father. And now, he's trying to make it possible for Molly to have the wedding she deserves."

Susan's tears flowed heavily. Craig poured her a glass of water.

"Thank you. In spite of Molly's protestations, she wants you to walk her down the aisle. Both she and Owen want it. Justin is willing to do the honor but even he feels that honor belongs to you. Brian has said he won't go if that would make a difference but if Brian doesn't go then Justin won't go and that means Bree won't go and she is supposed to be Molly's flower girl. There's even been talk of elopement." Craig's eyes widened at the thought of Molly running away to elope.

"Don't worry. They talked her out of it."

"Susan, I don't want to be rude but is there a point to all of this?" Again no anger in Craig's voice but he didn't know what she wanted.

"Yes. Justin's show has gone to New York and he has to put in an appearance."

"What does this have to do with us? Did you want to go? I'll try to arrange it."

"No, but thank you. I had the pleasure of seeing it here. I wish you would have too; his paintings are magnificent."

Craig nodded in agreement although Susan had no idea Craig had seen them.

"They're leaving Friday after lunch and returning Sunday. Brian asked if Briana could stay with us. They have business in Pittsburgh before they go and they're taking the shuttle to the airport."

"Don't they have other family who could care for the child?"

"Yes, I suppose they do but Brian called me first."

"Brian called you?"

"Yes."

"Not Justin."

"No. He didn't want to burden Justin if you said no. He'll make other arrangements if you don't agree."

"If I don't agree? Brian wanted you to discuss this with me and not have Bree just show up at the house?"

"That's right. His exact words were 'tell the bastard the fucking truth'. Brian would have nothing to do with it if you didn't know the whole story. He said Briana deserves a grandfather who loves her for being who she is and that means a part of Justin. Brian said that Justin deserves to have a father that loves him simply because he's your son. Brian said..."

Craig held up his hands. "I know what Brian said." Craig got up to look out of his office window. Brian. To make peace with his son, Craig would have to make peace with Brian. To be a grandfather to Bree, Craig would have to come to some sort of agreement with Brian. Sounded more like a business arrangement than anything else. Craig turned to face his wife.

"When do you have to let Brian know?"

"Later this afternoon or tonight. I have to give him time to make other arrangements. They were considering taking Bree with them but Justin wants Brian at his side when he meets and greets. It would be too much for Briana."

"Let me think about it. Now, how about that lunch?"

*****

"Brian, there's a Mr. Taylor to see you." Brian looked at his watch, it was close to five. He was supposed to meet Justin at the gallery with Bree. Maybe Justin decided to leave early. Brian smiled.

"Show him in then start wrapping it up," Brian said to Cynthia via the intercom.

"I think I'll stay," Cynthia stated pensively.

"What the hell?" Brian muttered at the intercom then stood as his door opened. Craig walked in.

"Quite the mover and the shaker, aren't you, Kinney?" Craig looked over his nemesis. Brian decided to wait it out and remain silent. "But then you're quite adept at plotting out strategy. It's what made you so successful, so powerful. Men and women would bend over backwards to please you."

Brian arched a brow at that statement. He wasn't sure if Craig got the double entendre.

"Bottom line, Kinney, I don't like you. I don't think I will ever like you. You stole my son's innocence away and that's something I'll never get back, nor forgive. But it's come to my attention that you want me to get to know my granddaughter and to escort Molly down the aisle on her wedding day. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if I can do it. I can't condone your lifestyle; however, I'd like to be able to see Briana and Justin on occasion, if he'll allow it." Craig paused, seemingly in debate with himself. "Briana can stay the weekend with us. I haven't decided about the wedding yet. I've seen the guest list and I've seen who Molly's hired to plan this thing."

Craig pulled a business card from his wallet. Brian immediately recognized the distinctive shade of mauve.

"Emmett Honeycutt, party planner. Fairy godmother to the Pitts?" Craig read the card out loud and Brian had trouble stifling a chuckle. Brian had once made that remark to Emmett when the cooking queen was getting his business off the ground. He had no idea Emmett had put that on his business card.

"You know him, I gather?" Brian shrugged. "I also saw his name as one of the guests, next to Drew Boyd's name. Does Owen know that one of his football heroes is a..."

Brian's eyes narrowed, his jaw tensed and his hands balled up into fists. Craig noticed.

"...a friend of yours?" Brian relaxed a bit and nodded. "Hmm. Let Susan know where and when to pick up Briana." Craig turned then strode out.

A few minutes later Cynthia and Ted came into Brian's office where they found their friend and boss frozen to the floor.

"Brian, is everything all right?" Cynthia asked gently. She exchanged looks with Ted.

"Can I get you anything, Bri?" Ted went to the wet bar.

Brian shook his head then sat back into his chair. Just then Briana came barreling into the office with her teacher close behind.

"Dada! We go get Daddy now?" Bree had her backpack. She was the last to leave daycare. Her teacher smiled at them then left for the night.

"Yes, Squirt, we'll go get your daddy." Bree studied her Dada's face for a second then patted it gently.

"You okay, Dada?" Wide blue eyes stared into her father's hazel ones.

"I'm okay. Just add another member to the Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor fan club." Brian smiled lovingly at his princess, tickling her under her chin. "Let's go, people! Out. Tomorrow's another day."

Kinnetik's top execs, and Bree, packed it up for the night.


Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 8

"Michael," Brian said as he walked through the door of the comic book shop.

Michael was in the process of closing up and had been going to lock the door in just a minute or two. "I should have locked the door sooner to keep the vermin out," he spat at Brian.

"Been a while since I was called that."

"Yeah, but a leopard never changes its spots. Once an asshole, always an asshole."

"I didn't come here to fight with you, Michael. I came to tell you that I had reasons for what I did at the hospital. Hunter was my priority that day, and he needed Steve."

"You are so full of shit! Hunter needed his fathers, but you saw to it that he didn't have them."

"Have you talked to Hunter about this?" Brian asked with a sigh.

"No, the poor kid is still recovering. I didn't want to upset him."

"But you relish upsetting me and everyone else in your fucking family."

"Like anything ever upsets you. You're perfect, you have everything under control and you control everything. Must be nice to be God."

"God? Are you fucking kidding?"

"How would you feel, Brian, if someone kept you away from Gus when he was in the hospital, especially when the person keeping you away is supposed to be your best friend? What if Bree was in the hospital … dying? How would you feel then?"

Brian felt like he had been kicked in the gut. Michael always knew where to insert the knife to do the most damage. Brian felt his fists ball up and he felt like he did that day that Michael had said Brian should have left Justin on the cold concrete floor of that parking garage. He opened his mouth to say something, to curse Michael to Hell and back. Instead he bit back the sharp words and said, "Justin and Bree are waiting outside in the car. We're going home. I suggest you go home too, while you still have a family to go home to."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Michael demanded.

Brian merely turned and walked to the door. He gave Michael a last sad look before opening it.

"Come back here and explain what you mean by that. Do you hear me?" Michael practically screamed. All he heard was the resounding crash as the door shook on its hinges from the force of Brian slamming it behind him.

"Justin, you better drive," Brian said as he yanked open the passenger door of the SUV.

"Sure," Justin said as he got out and started to walk around the car to the driver's side. The pallor of Brian's face and the dark smoke of his eyes told him not to question what Brian wanted him to do.

"Brian!" Michael yelled as he came out of the store.

"Shut the fuck up, Michael! Just shut up! Get going, Justin," Brian ordered as they each slammed their doors.

Justin gunned the SUV and they careened off down the street.

"What just happened?" Justin asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," Brian whispered. His face had gone even whiter. He closed his eyes and leaned his head against the headrest.

"Dada, what's wrong? Dada, Dada, Dada, please," Bree cried. She wore a look of terror on her little face as she struggled to get out of her car seat. She knew something was very wrong.

"I'm sorry if I scared you, Bree. It'll be all right," Brian whispered. He felt so exhausted, so empty.

"Want me to stop the car?" Justin asked.

"I want to go home to the cottage and never leave it again," Brian said as a tear ran down one cheek.

"Brian…" Justin said concern evident in his voice.

Brian shook his head. "I can't talk about it."

Bree whimpered quietly in her car seat. She wanted to hug her Dada. She knew something really big was wrong. She struggled to get out of her seat. She wasn't getting anywhere until she remembered the button that her fathers always pushed when they were taking her out of the car. Her fingers found it and she pushed hard. The harness snapped back and she was free. She pushed herself out of her seat and climbed across the space between the front seats. She wrapped her little arms around her Dada's neck and held on as tight as she could.

"Bree…" Justin said about to chastise his daughter for getting out of her seat. Then he realized that Bree was just what Brian needed. Brian's arms had come around the little body and they were both holding on with everything they had.

*****

"Mel, good evening," Danny said as Melanie opened the door of her house to the grandfather of her child.

"Come in."

"Twice in one week," Danny said with a wave of his hand. He couldn't believe that Melanie had invited him over once again. "Where's JR?"

"Up in her room."

Danny frowned. "Did you want to talk to me about something?"

"Yes, I still have some reservations about your relationship with my daughter. She's really growing to love you."

"And that's a bad thing?" Danny asked with a raised brow. "I love her right back. She's a lovely little girl."

"Are you in this for the long haul?" Melanie asked deciding to be blunt. "Or are you going to tire of having her around somewhere down the line."

"I could never tire of that sweet child," Danny declared.

"I'm going to hold you to that."

"May I ask what brought this on?"

"Hunter."

"Hunter?"

"With what happened to him, it made me think about JR being sick. Is there anything in your family history that I should know about?"

"Nothing that would affect JR," Danny said thoughtfully. "Unless it's the gay gene, but she has plenty of places to acquire that from."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know, but most of my family were healthy as horses and lived good long lives."

"That's good to know," Melanie said. "JR, your grandfather is here," she called up the stairs.

*****

Brian and Justin were sitting at the kitchen table at the cottage. Bree was sitting on Brian's lap feeding him pieces of chicken off the plate in front of them. Brian was silent but he would open his mouth when Bree held a piece of chicken to his lips. He chewed each piece slowly letting his daughter take care of him. Every once in a while Bree would ask if he was feeling better and Brian would nod. Some of the color was returning to Brian's face. Justin was dying to know what Michael had said to trigger such a severe reaction in Brian, but he knew better than to ask, knew better than to bring up the subject. Brian would have to do that.

Bree picked up the napkin off the table and wiped Brian's lips. That elicited a smile from the man. Who could resist Nurse Briana?

"Better, Dada?" she asked.

"Yes, Squirt, I'm doing better."

"Don't get sick like Hunter, 'kay?"

"I won't."

"Want me to make you a card?" Bree asked thinking that might cheer her Dada up.

Brian looked over at Justin and saw the worried look on his face. "That would be nice, Squirt. Would you go make me a card now?"

"Sure, Dada," Bree said as she slid off his knee and ran to the sun porch.

"Are you really okay?" Justin asked.

"Yeah."

"What the fuck happened with Michael?"

"He … said some things."

"What things?"

"Nothing worth repeating."

"Brian, I'm going to find out eventually. You might as well tell me. It might help to talk about it."

Brian shook his head. "I should have let Michael go in to see Hunter in the hospital."

"I thought you said Hunter asked for Steve?"

"He did."

"Then you did what Hunter wanted. What else could you have done?"

"I didn't realize Michael was so upset. I was worried about Hunter," Brian said gently.

"Hunter's the one who was in the hospital. It should be him that you're worried about, not fucking Michael."

"But Michael is his father."

"Tell me what he said to you!"

"He said … how would I feel if my best friend kept me from Gus in the hospital or from Bree if she was … dying?" The last word was barely audible.

"He did not say that!" Justin demanded to know, disbelief written all over his face. "I'm fucking going to rip his balls off. Bloody idiot! Fucking asshole!" Justin ranted.

"I'm the asshole."

"You are not! I'm not going to New York. I'm going to set that bastard straight and I'm staying here with you."

"That won't do any good. We'll go to New York. It will all blow over eventually."

"I don't want it to blow over," Justin said. "Michael has gone too far this time."

"But he's also right. I would feel betrayed if he did that to me. I should have realized."

"Nobody's perfect, Brian. We all make mistakes. You only did what you thought was right. You didn't set out to hurt Michael … the way he hurt you."

"Michael says I am ... perfect. According to him I have the world at my beck and call. I can do whatever I want with their lives."

"Is he completely nuts?"

"He's right. I should have known better."

"Will you stop saying that? I'm going to call Hunter and ask him to speak to Michael, set him straight."

"Don't waste your breath. Michael won't believe it."

Justin sighed as Bree came running back into the kitchen.

"Here, Dada," she said proudly handing him a crookedly folded piece of paper.

Brian took the paper and looked at the rainbow she had drawn on the front with her signature black and brown stripes. "Pretty," Brian whispered.

Bree smiled. "Open it."

Brian opened the paper to find a little figure with yellow hair hugging a bigger figure with brown hair. Around them was what Brian deciphered to be a heart. Brian felt tears well up. The thought of losing Bree cut his own heart into little shreds.

"I love it. Thank you, Squirt," Brian said picking her up and hugging her close.

"Love you too, Dada."

"Make that three," Justin added as he hugged them both.

*****

"I made you a card, Grandpa," JR said as she came down the stairs carrying a piece of paper.

"You did?" Danny smiled with sheer pleasure. "I've received many cards from admirers over the years, but I don't think I've ever had one made especially for me."

"Here," JR said handing him the paper.

On the front was a drawing of what could only be Divina Devore in one of her flamboyant gowns and wigs. Danny smiled.

"Open it."

Danny lifted the paper and found a drawing of a man with brown hair being hugged by a smaller figure with brown hair. "Is this you and me?"

JR nodded. "I put the heart around us because I love you and you love me," she explained proudly.

"And I love your card," Danny said pulling his granddaughter into a hug that matched the one on the card.

*****

"Is she down?" Justin asked as he came out of the bathroom from his shower.

"Yeah, she wouldn't let go of my hand. I had to pry it out of hers when she fell asleep."

"She was really worried about you … and so was I," Justin admitted.

"I'm feeling better. I think Michael made me face the specter of losing my children. It's something I never want to contemplate, let alone deal with."

"Fucking Michael!"

Brian shook his head. "It's good to know I have you and Bree to look after me," Brian tried to smile.

"Let's go to bed and I'll make love to you all night long."

"All night long?" Brian asked his smile broadening.

"All night long."

Brian pulled Justin against him and just held on. It was quite a while before they ever got to the love making part.

*****

"Michael! What are you doing here?" Hunter asked his dad when he opened the door.

"Is it too late?" Michael entered his son's loft, looking around. It reminded him a lot of Brian's.

"No, it's not that late. You want some coffee or something?"

"No thanks. Is Nick home?"

"No, he's pulling a late shift at the hospital."

"But I thought he works in the research lab."

"He does but he likes to keep up his people skills so he pulls an ER shift once or twice a month. The staff likes it 'cause they catch a break and he keeps in touch with reality."

"Oh, I guess that makes sense."

"Michael, why are you here? Is something wrong? Is Ben okay?"

"Everyone's fine, I just needed to know something." Michael sat on the couch then took a deep breath. He looked up at Hunter who was wearing a puzzled expression. "Why did you tell Brian to get Steve when you woke up, instead of me or Ben? We're your fathers." Michael was hurt and he couldn't keep the hurt out of his voice.

"I'm so sorry, Michael...Dad. I was...I felt like I let everyone down, you, Nick, Ben, Brian. You all have such high opinions of me. I couldn't face you. Steve has seen me at my worst, when death was a happy alternative."

"Hunter! No." Michael was suddenly frightened and guilty. He had used the thought of death of one's child against Brian not hours prior.

"It's okay, Michael; it was a long time ago. Steve and Bill got me through it. I needed them to get me through again."

"And Brian?"

"What about him?"

"It's like you always prefer him to me. You'll hang out with him but not me. Why?"

"Michael, can you hear yourself? That sounds ridiculous. I don't hang out with him. I'd have to drive over an hour to do that. He's my friend, Michael, my friend and a mentor of sorts. I owe him my loyalty just like I owe you and Ben my life. I love you, Mikey, you're my dad. No one can take your place in my heart, no one."

Hunter got down on his knees in front of Michael to give him a hug.

"But I want you to be able to come to me if you need something," Michael whispered into his son's hair.

"I can come to you and I am. I'm going to face my worse fears on Friday and I'll need you and the family there for support. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes, I'll be there for you, I'll be there."

Father and son clung to each other for a very long time.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 9

"What time is it?" Debbie asked Carl. He was sitting at the counter of the Liberty Diner.

"One thirty-five, Babe. And that's the third time in five minutes you've asked me for the time. Get a grip, Deb."

"Shh, keep your voice down, and I am getting a grip. I'm just a little nervous." Debbie poured Carl another cup of coffee then set down the pot.

"You're not the one who should be nervous," Carl whispered back nodding his head at the back booth where Nick and Hunter were huddled together waiting.

"What time is she coming?" Debbie asked her husband.

"At two; by that time the family should all be in place." The bell over the door tinkled and Bill and Steve came in. They took their place at the counter. Debbie started pouring more coffee.

"What time is it?" Debbie asked almost apologetically.

"One forty-two," Carl answered patiently. The bell jingled again. Ben and Michael followed by Melanie and Lindsay came in. They nodded at the family at the counter then took the adjoining booth.

"This is weird," Bill observed.

"How so?" Steve had grown accustomed to the antics of his acquired family. Nothing ever seemed weird anymore.

"The diner seems to be devoid of customers other than us," Bill remarked.

"That was me," Lacy admitted. She had poured coffee for the family at the booths then returned the pot to the coffeemaker.

"What do you mean, honey?" Debbie asked gently.

"Hunter didn't want too many people around other than the family. He asked me to spread the word on the streets that a showdown was going to happen today after lunch and would the community mind avoiding the place for a while. No one had a problem with it and I also dropped Brian's name. Hunter thought that it would help." Lacy smiled knowingly.

"I bet his shit don't stink either," Debbie snarked.

"Eww, Debbie!" Lacy was taken aback. Lacy owed Hunter as well as Brian and Justin, a lot. She'd come to their defense.

"No offence meant, honey. I love the big asshole and so does most of the community, and they love Hunter too. It's no wonder they'd help."

Lacy nodded and the bell jingled again. Brian and Justin sauntered in. They were wearing casual but very fashionable clothes befitting the business exec and his sought after artist. Close on their heels were Emmett, Drew, Ted and Allen. They squeezed themselves into the next booth.

"What time is it?" Lacy asked this time.

"One fifty-seven," Steve answered. "And why do I hear the music to 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' running through my head?" The remark garnered familiar chuckles from Debbie, Carl and Bill, being the more mature ones in the mix.

"So who's Tuco?" Steve asked.

"Michael," Carl replied. That elicited an angry "hey" from Debbie and a pop to the side of Carl's head. "Sweetheart, I love Michael, I really do, but you have to admit when he thinks Brian did something, Michael gets stupid." Debbie shrugged. There was a certain logic to it all.

"Okay, then, so who's 'Angel Eyes'?" Steve went on to ask.

"I don't know, maybe Melanie? She can be real ruthless when she wants to be," Debbie said and the men agreed with her.

"So that leaves, Blondie," Steve said as he took a sip of coffee.

"Brian," Carl, Steve, Debbie and Bill said in unison. The jingling of the bell put a halt to any more silliness.

"I guess I know the time now," Debbie said hesitantly.

Hunter looked up as very small sickly thin woman bundled under layers of not so clean sweat shirts, walked through the door. She was wearing dark glasses and even though the early Spring sun was warm enough, she had a scarf draped over her head and around her neck.

"Mom," Hunter whispered as he almost stood up. Nick placed his hand on Hunter's.

"Wait, let her come to you," Nick stated. Hunter sat back and waited. Rita walked slowly over to their table. If she felt the eyes of the family on her, she didn't give off a hint.

"She doesn't look so good," Lacy whispered to Carl and Debbie. Lacy had seen a lot of sick hustlers and hookers on the streets, all with heavily applied make-up as if it could hide how sick they were. She shuddered knowing that that could have been her fate if not for Hunter. Debbie could almost read her thoughts and she wrapped an arm around the girl.

"Jimmy, baby," Rita began as she went to sit at their booth, "this is a funny place to meet. I thought you'd invite me to your home." Rita didn't ask about Hunter's health or that she hadn't seen him in well over thirteen years. Hunter did his best to ignore the unmotherly treatment.

"This is like home," Hunter muttered.

"Who is this handsome man?" Rita attempted to turn her dwindling charms on Nick.

"I'm Nick, Hunter's partner," Nick said coolly.

"How nice! Jimmy, sweetheart, do you think I could have some coffee and maybe a sandwich. I haven't had the time to eat."

'Or the money, by the looks of it,' Michael thought. He could hear their conversation and he was seething. Ben placed his hand on Michael's thigh for support and gave it a squeeze. Michael's eyes softened at his partner.

"Deb, can you bring a menu?" Hunter asked. Debbie came over with the menu, resisting with all of her being the impulse to kick Rita's ass to the curb.

"Sure, honey," Debbie said as she put the menu down in front of Rita. "Can I get you anything?" Debbie turned to ask Hunter, smiling at him.

"A lemon bar, for now?" Hunter needed the boost the sugar would give him and the zing of the lemon.

"Sure, sweetheart." Debbie went to fetch the lemon bar. Hunter mulled over the warmth and feeling of love he received when Debbie called him 'honey' or 'sweetheart.' Not the same feeling from his supposed mother.

Rita placed an order for the chicken fried steak with all the fixings. Lacy went around to all the booths refilling coffee cups and soda glasses.

"Kind of quiet in here," Rita commented, attempting small talk.

"Mom, what do you want?" Hunter asked bluntly and none too softly.

"Finally," Brian murmured. He was facing Hunter's booth. He wanted things to start rolling and not because he and Justin had a plane to catch. Brian knew how nervous Hunter was about all this. He and the family wanted it to be over.

"I'm sick and I need a place to stay, someone to take care of me."

"How sick?" Hunter asked.

"Women's things, you know," Rita shrugged.

"Do you have proof?" Nick asked.

"Why would I need to prove anything to you?" Rita spat out.

"It's me you have to prove it to; now answer the question," Hunter demanded. Rita took some papers out of her pocket and handed them to Hunter. He briefly scanned them then turned them over to Nick. Rita was about to protest.

"He's a doctor," Hunter stated by way of explanation.

"Oh," Rita said meekly while counting up dollar signs in her head.

Nick cut to the pathology report and the recommended course of treatment. Some of the observations noted in the record caught his eye immediately.

"Ms Montgomery, do you have a place to stay?"

"I, um, I've been staying at a motel on the edge on town," Rita stammered, "but I've run out of money."

"I see." Nick stared at the report then leaned over to whisper into Hunter's ear. "Hospice," was all he said. Hunter nodded.

"Mom, did you bring your things with you?"

"I, um, the manager is holding them for me." Hunter heard Brian's snort. Rita had run out of money; the motel was keeping her belongings in lieu of payment.

"Are you done with your lunch?" Hunter asked. Rita nodded. "Okay, we're going to take you someplace where you'll be properly looked after. Then Nick and I will go get the rest of your stuff."

"You going to take me home with you?"

"No, Ms Montgomery, that would be impossible. You need treatment and we can't do it at home." Nick was trying to reason with her.

"I don't want chemo; I like my hair. Jimmy, you like my hair. All of my 'boyfriends' loved my hair." Rita faded into her own little world. The diseases she was denying were killing her. Hunter and Nick knew it was only a matter of time.

"No, no chemo, Mom. Just a place with a warm soft bed, clean sheets, plenty of food and nice people to help you," Hunter reassured Rita hoping that some of his words were sinking in.

"Sounds nice, Jimmy. Okay then, I'm ready."

Rita went to stand up and was a little wobbly. Hunter scurried over to help her remain on her feet. He twined her scarf around her and gently guided her to the door. Nick whispered some words to Ben and Michael and they prepared to go out too. Hunter scanned the faces of his friends, correction, family, and beamed a brilliant smile at them. He led his mother out the door and waited for Nick.

"What's going to happen to her?" Debbie asked what everyone was thinking.

"We're going to take her to the hospice," Nick answered.

"Does that mean she has..." Debbie continued to press Nick for answers.

"Deb, you know I can't answer that but it's not all that's wrong. She has quite a list of ailments, all treatable and survivable if she had gotten treated in time. Even without medical insurance, a hospital would have treated her. I have to go. Hunter and I thank you all for being here. I thank you all."

"We didn't do much, honey," Debbie patted Nick's face.

"Yes, you did … by just being here. You confirmed how loved Hunter is. I gotta go." Nick went outside to join his partner and Rita.

Ben and Michael slid out of their booth.

"Where are you two going?" Emmett, who had been exceptionally quiet throughout the drama, spoke up.

"We're going to pick up whatever Rita left at the motel. Then bring it over to the hospice," Ben replied.

"Maybe you should have them fumigated first," Brian snarked. Michael was about to lay into him but thought better of it.

Just then Ted spoke up. "He's right, Michael. Rita's been on the streets for a long time; those clothes may not be worth saving. Emmett and I will come with you. You're going to have to pay her bill and then we can go over her stuff. Anything worth saving we'll take it to the laundry and throw out the rest," Ted stated reasonably. Michael and Ben nodded.

"I know where to get some decent clothes for her, and reasonably priced. She's going to need something pretty to cheer her up!" Emmett was all smiles. Emmett and Ted thanked and kissed their partners for their support then they all went out with Ben and Michael.

As Melanie and Lindsay were about ready to go, Melanie made a comment. "I remember doing some research on Rita when we were going to contest her suit. I think I'll look into her file when I get back to the office."

"Why?" Lindsay asked, sniffling slightly, holding back some tears.

"I just want to make sure there aren't any other Montgomery's waiting out there."

The remaining family blinked in horror. "I want to be prepared; beats doing nothing." Lindsay nodded as did the family.

That left Brian and Justin, Bill, Steve and Carl. Oh, and Debbie and Lacy.

"Come on, Sunshine, we have a plane to catch." Brian and Justin doled out the hugs and kisses to the remaining family.

"When are you coming back?" Debbie asked glaring at Brian, daring him to brush her off.

"Fuck! Sunday afternoon," Brian admitted, looking down and scuffing his boot on the floor like Bree when she scuffed her sneaker. Justin hid his laugh and the comparison.

"Dinner, before you all go back to the country. No excuses!" Debbie's word was sacrosanct.

"Yes, Maw," Brian mumbled then was on the receiving end of one of Debbie's lipsticky kisses along with a cuff to the ear. "Ow," he mumbled as he was led out by Justin. Carl, Steve and Bill chuckled.

"I should go to the clinic," Bill said. "Karen's been putting in extra hours."

"Could you use some help?" Steve asked.

"Sure."

"Dinner! Sunday! Be there!" Debbie called out before they left. Bill and Steve exchanged glances.

"Yes, Mrs. Horvath," they sing-songed then left before receiving any repercussions. Carl laughed at their antics.

"They got your number, sweetheart," Carl exclaimed then drew his wigged wife into his arms for a kiss. The bell jingling over the door signaled customers wanting a meal. Lacy and Debbie went to serve them.

*****

"Gamma Susan!" Bree knew her Gamma Susan was going to pick her up from school. Her daddies explained everything to her and although she was disappointed she couldn't go to New York with them, she liked the idea of spending time with her latest gamma.

"Hi, sweetheart! Are you ready to come home with me?" She gathered the little girl in her arms for a kiss. Her teacher had all her bags and things ready.

"Yes, Gamma. We bake cookies?" Briana batted her eyelashes.

"Yes, sweetheart, we can bake cookies."

"Yay!" Bree jumped up and down then said goodbye to her classmates.

*****

Brian and Justin were buckled into their seats in the first class cabin of the plane.

"How much longer, I wonder?" Justin asked.

Brian glanced at his watch. "Another twenty minutes."

"That was some scene in the diner."

"Yeah, that woman deserves…"

"What?"

"She doesn't deserve Hunter … and she doesn't deserve to die like that. Nobody does."

Justin nodded. "Even though she's a sorry excuse for a mother, she's also pitiable."

"I don't do pity."

"I know," Justin said with a rueful smile.

They were silent for a while.

"Do you think Bree will be all right with Susan and Craig?" Justin wore a somewhat worried look on his face.

"They'll take care of her," Brian said fighting down the worry that he felt himself. This was Justin's weekend. He was going to be on show all weekend, and he needed Brian's support. He didn't need anything else to worry about.

"I know they will … physically."

Brian understood what Justin was getting at. That was his worry too. "He better not hurt her," Brian said. "Or I'll make what he did to me all those years ago look like a beauty treatment in comparison to what I'll do to him."

"Let's hope that won't be necessary," Justin said twining his fingers into Brian's.

"I'm calling as soon as we land," Brian stated.

"I know."

"And if she's not happy, I'm flying right back."

"I know."

"And then I'm beating your father to a fucking pulp."

"I know."

"And I pray to whatever God's out there that I don't have to do any of that."

"I know."

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 10

"JR, Danny!" Mel called as she and Lindsay walked into the house.

"In the kitchen," Danny's voice came back to her.

The two women walked through to the kitchen. They found Danny and JR wearing aprons and covered in flour. They were stirring something in a big bowl.

"What the hell are you two doing?" Mel demanded.

"Making cookies," they said in unison and both giggled.

"Do either of you know how to make cookies?" Mel asked.

"No," they both said.

"Then what makes you think you can do this?"

"We found this recipe book, and these cookies sounded good," Danny said gesturing to the flour covered cookbook that lay on the table.

"The first time I leave you and JR alone together and you destroy my house," Mel said.

"It's not that bad," Lindsay laughed.

"But we were only gone for a couple of hours," Mel protested.

"We'll clean it up," Danny said and JR nodded her head. She didn't want her Grandpa to get into trouble. The cookies had seemed like a good idea at the time. And they had been having a lot of fun finding all the ingredients and mixing everything together. Grandpa had been telling her stories about some of the places he had traveled.

"Damn right you will," Melanie stated.

"Are you ready to put a batch in the oven?" Lindsay asked.

"Yeah, if we could find a cookie sheet," Danny laughed.

"Here you go," Lindsay said drawing a cookie sheet out of a lower cupboard.

"Thanks."

"Can I help?" Lindsay asked. "I'm pretty good at flattening cookie dough."

JR smiled at her mother. "Mama, would you like to help too?"

Melanie looked at each of them in turn. She realized she was being a party pooper. "Sure, why not?" she said with a smile.

They were some of the best cookies that any of them had ever tasted, even if they were a little dry and some were slightly burnt.

*****

While Brian and Justin were shaking hands and making nice at the art gallery, Lacy made her way home from the diner. She had finished the dinner rush and now she was free for the rest of the night. She wished she had somewhere to go or something special to do, but she would go back to Debbie's and crash like she did every day.

She walked through the front door and called Debbie's name. Debbie had left the diner with Carl after that weird meeting between Hunter and his mother. Lacy shivered. That woman was so … strange, and she was so ill. It made Lacy almost nauseous to think of what Rita Montgomery was going to face over the next weeks or months or whatever time she had left.

Lacy walked into the kitchen expecting to find Debbie. Nobody was there. They must have gone out, or maybe they were with Hunter or maybe Carl had gone to Babylon. Lacy smiled at her list of possibilities for the whereabouts of the Horvaths. She was worse than a parent worrying about where their kid might be or what they might have gotten into.

That made her think about her … father. She had to admit that she had thought about him a lot lately. Ever since that talk with Debbie.

Lacy got a soda out of the fridge and sat down at the kitchen table. From where she was seated she could see the phone. It was beckoning to her. She knew what she needed to do.

She picked up the receiver and dialed the number from all those years ago.

"Hello?"

"Dad."

"Lucin…Lacy, is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me."

"I'm so glad you called.

"Are you really?" she asked but she couldn't prevent the smile that crossed her face.

"I've been waiting and hoping to hear from you."

"Why didn't you come back to Pittsburgh?"

"I wanted to but…"

"But what?"

"I…" Roman hesitated. "I was afraid I might drive you further away. I was afraid you wouldn't believe me."

"Believe you about what?" she asked hoping he was going to say what she was praying for.

"Believe me that I've changed, that I'm ready to accept who and what you are … that I'm still very proud of you."

Lacy's smile got bigger and bigger with each word her father said. "Do you really mean that?"

"With all my heart."

"Debbie said you meant it."

"It was easier convincing her than you," Roman laughed gently.

"Yeah, I guess it was."

"What made you call … finally?"

"Something happened today."

"What was that?"

"You remember Hunter?"

"Yeah, did something happen to him?"

"Kind of. His mother came to see him. She … she did some terrible things to Hunter when he was young. But now she's dying." Lacy's voice had gotten thinner and quieter as she spoke. The last word was barely audible, but Roman heard it nevertheless.

"I'm sorry."

"I … I don't want us to end up like that," Lacy said feeling tears behind her eyes. "I don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me … not for a long time. And I'm not going to run away from you ever again."

"You promise?" Lacy asked in a choking voice.

"I solemnly swear," Roman stated.

"Would you come to Pittsburgh tomorrow? I think we should spend the day together."

"I'd like nothing more."

"I'll see you tomorrow morning," Lacy said and quickly hung up. Then she let the tears run down her face.

*****

"Hunter?" Nick called out as he entered their loft.

"In here," Hunter answered from the bedroom.

"I brought Chinese; it's on the counter. You okay, Baby? I'm beat."

"I'm fine. I called over to the hospice."

"How is she settling in?"

"Surprisingly well but she's regressed into her own little world. She thinks she's in a grand hotel being waited on."

"Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. She may experience a lot of pain soon. Is it so bad if she lives out the rest of her days in a fantasy world?"

"I suppose not but I guess that fantasy world doesn't apply to me."

"No, Baby, it doesn't. I need you in this world. We all need you in this world."

"Then I had better stay," Hunter whispered as he was drawn into his lover's arms; the Chinese takeout forgotten.

*****

"Molly! What brings you here?" Susan asked her when she answered the doorbell.

"Justin told me that Bree was spending the weekend here and that my Dad actually approved. I came to see for myself."

"And to check if Briana is having a good time?" Susan looked directly into Molly's eyes when she posed the question. Molly blushed slightly as she stepped into the house.

"Justin did call me earlier today. They're worried."

"I got the same call from Brian when they landed. And I quote, 'that bastard better not make her cry or there'll be hell to pay,' end quote. I believe him."

"I believe him too." They went into the kitchen where they found Bree sitting up on a high stool, swinging her little feet and watching her Gampa stirring a pot of gravy.

"Hi, Dad."

"Molly, honey, good to see you. Is Owen with you?"

"No, he's out of town with his dad on business," Molly said with a sigh.

"Can you stay for dinner? We have plenty."

"Dad, since when do you cook?" Molly was pleasantly amused by the situation.

"Gampa cooks good!" Bree offered her opinion.

"Really? That's good to know, Squirt. Dad, do you know what you're doing?"

"Not really but Susan told me to keep stirring so I'm stirring."

"Got him well trained, I see," Molly commented to Susan. And they all laughed.

After a nice dinner and quiet conversation, Molly took out a box from the shopping bag she had brought with her.

"What's in the box?" Craig asked as he walked out of the kitchen drying his hands on a dish towel. "I put on coffee," he remarked casually.

"It's Bree's dress," Molly answered. She placed the box on the coffee table waiting for Susan to bring the child out of the spare room. After dinner, Susan helped Bree to clean up and put on her pajamas.

"Her dress?"

"Her flower girl dress, Dad."

"Oh, that dress. May I see it?" Molly smiled then gingerly removed the lid of the box. Inside, surrounded by protective tissue was a pale pink satin dress. The bodice was circled by a white ribbon with flower appliques sewn on. It was a simple dress but beautiful. "As I recall, little girls grow up fast. Won't it need alterations by the time the wedding rolls around?"

"Possibly, that's why it's not hemmed. The dressmaker will complete the dress in December." Craig nodded, that made more sense. "When we found the dress we knew it would be perfect for Briana, so I bought it. I thought she'd like to see it."

Briana came running out of the bedroom. "Ooo! Pretty. Can I try it on?" Briana pleaded.

"Sure, sweetheart, let's go into the bedroom." Bree took Molly's hand as they walked back into the bedroom.

"Susan, want some coffee, it's decaf?"

"Sure, I'll help." Susan and Craig went into the kitchen to get the coffee mugs, sugar and milk. Craig took out a tin that held the homemade cookies that Bree and Susan baked earlier that afternoon. Susan walked up behind Craig and wrapped her arms around his waist. He felt her press her lips to the middle of his back. Slowly Craig turned in her arms.

"What did I do to deserve that?" Craig asked tenderly.

"For accepting Briana this weekend, for being nice to her and to Molly."

"You make it sound like I've been cruel."

"Craig, denying your son, attacking Brian, attacking Brian's brother and denying your granddaughter..."

"The acts of a cruel man," Craig muttered not expecting a response. "I'm trying, Susan, I'm really trying but homosexuality, it's not what I wanted for my son."

"Maybe not but what do you want for him?"

"Besides him finding a good woman, passing on the Taylor name, I thought I wanted him to follow me into business, but I guess he's found his true calling. I guess I want what all parents want for their children. I want him to be happy and healthy."

"He is, Craig, he is happy and healthy and that's because he's with the man he loves and we've seen first hand how protective Brian is of him and Bree."

"I'll give you that," Craig conceded.

"Then why can't you accept that Justin and Brian belong together."

"Because, it's unnatural, that's why! Two men, two women, it's just plain wrong! It's supposed to be one man and one woman."

"How can you say that? Look at you and Jennifer, one man, one woman and the relationship your son is having with Brian will surpass it."

"I don't like Brian, the smug, arrogant bastard. He turned my son against me."

"Craig, please, not that again, you know that isn't true."

"Fine, I promised I wouldn't bring that up again but it doesn't change the fact that I hate Brian Kinney." Just then Bree in her flower girl gown and Molly walked through the kitchen door.

"Gampa, why do you hate my Dada?" Bree's violet blue eyes were brimming with tears, her little mouth twitching ready to cry.

"Bree, honey, Gampa didn't mean it." Susan gave her husband a dirty look then ushered the child out into the living room.

"Daddy, how could you?" Molly admonished Craig in a loud whisper. Then she stormed out of the kitchen.

"Bree, you look so beautiful!" Susan was trying to take Bree's mind off the subject. "Molly said you've been rehearsing your walk, can you demonstrate for me?" Craig stepped out of the kitchen.

"Dem-straight?" Briana didn't understand.

"Show us your walk," Craig clarified the request for Bree. Bree ran to the other end of the room trying not to step on the long edge of her dress. She turned and slowly began her walk towards Craig, pretending to sprinkle flower petals from a basket, her little hips swishing conspicuously like her daddy's hips. When she reached Craig, he scooped her up and kissed her face.

"That was perfect, Briana. You'll be the best flower girl that ever was," Craig gushed. Briana smiled her little sunny smile then became very serious. Craig was about to get a demonstration of the Taylor tenacity.

"Gampa, why do you hate my Dada?" Molly and Susan waited for Craig's explanation.

Craig carried the little girl over to the sofa. He sat down with Bree perched on his lap.

"Briana, sometimes adults say things and do things that we shouldn't. I know you love your daddy..."

"Daddy, my real daddy. Dada, Gus's real daddy but my Dada," Bree explained it to Craig.

"I stand corrected," Craig admitted.

"My Dada stand correct too." Bree remembered when Brian said the same thing.

"Briana, I love your Daddy but I can't lie. Lying is bad. Do you know that?" Bree knew that telling a lie wasn't a good thing. She nodded.

"I don't like your Dada."

"But Dada takes care of me and Daddy, he make me a Wendy house, he take me to the stream. And we hunt frogs and he take me to Nyork and we take baffs and, and, Dada gives hugs when Daddy's scared and has bad dreams. And we cook baconeggs and we do gar-gar."

"Gar-gar?" Craig looked over at Molly.

"Gardening, Bree and Brian have planted an extensive garden, including an herb garden."

"Chives good, Gampa. Dada good, Dada loves me and Daddy. He's my bestest Dada." Bree could not fathom why anyone wouldn't like her Dada. "Dada take away my splinner and when Daddy cries, Dada gives kisses."

"Bree, why does your Daddy cry?"

Bree's face took on a sad expression at Craig's question. "Daddy's hand hurts sometimes and Dada take away the ouch. I did a bad thing and Daddy got scared and cried and Dada make it all better. Dada very good Dada. Me and Daddy love Dada very, very, VERY much." Bree spread her little arms out in description of how much she loved her Dada.

"Bree..."

"Gampa, you love Daddy?" Briana circled Craig's neck with her arms.

"Yes," Craig whispered into Bree's fine hair.

"You love me?" Briana asked.

"Yes, sweetheart, with all my heart." Craig kissed the top of the blond head.

"Then you hafta love my Dada." Briana's logic was unbreachable.

"I'll try, Briana, I'll try," Craig whispered into his granddaughter's hair.

-fin-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=846