A Pup's Life by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

 

 

The newest member of Edna's Treasures learns his job and his place in the family.

Story #22 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 28881 Read: 20672 Published: Feb 03, 2017 Updated: Feb 03, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine


Chapter 1




Christmas time 2015 Beau's POV:

[dark...lub dub...lub dub...lub dub...warm...lub dub...lub dub...sleep]

"Merry Christmas, Jackie!" Steve quickly came through the door.

"Um, Steve?" John looked at his stepfather with a question on his face.

"Oops, sorry son, Merry Christmas," Steve said as he reached into his coat and pulled out a six month old shepherd mix puppy and handed him over to John.

"Merry Christmas, big brother, and let me introduce you to..."

"Beau!" John and Brian said in unison.

Everyone greeted the newest addition to the family...

[bright...loud...shiver...lub dub...lub dub...lub dub...warm...sleep]

*****

"Bobby?" John called out from their kitchen, he was making sandwiches for lunch. Bobby was relaxing, reading a book in their living room, a fire crackling in the fireplace. Patrick was in his room playing with some of the new toys he had received for Christmas.

"Yeah, Babe," Bobby replied, looking up from his book.

"Have you seen Beau? I want to take him out for a walk."

"Didn't you just take him out?"

"Puppies piddle a lot; it's been about two hours." Bobby bowed to John's experience with puppies. The Anderson farm nee the Kinney estate had had a "Beau" for almost two hundred years. "I'll help you look for him," Bobby said as he got up from the couch.

John and Bobby made short work searching their end of the cottage. The last place they went to look was in Patrick's room. John quietly pushed the door open. There on the thick bedroom rug was Patrick, peacefully asleep, with little Beau cuddled close with his head on Patrick's chest also asleep.

"Leave them for a while longer, John. Patrick's stomach will wake him soon then you can take Beau out," Bobby suggested. John nodded in agreement and closed the door slightly. They went back into the kitchen to complete the preparations for lunch.

"John, tell me about Beau." Bobby gazed up at his life partner with love in his eyes. John sat next to Bobby at the granite kitchen island.

"What do you want to know?"

"The Beau I knew was what, about sixteen when he died?" Bobby heard the slight hitch in John's breathing. The pain of losing such a long time and loyal companion was still fresh.

"Yes, he was. He was a good dog, very loyal and very smart. All the Beau's, each in their own way, were smart dogs and had different jobs."

"Different jobs?"

"Old Beau was more of a working dog and outside dog. He preferred sleeping in the barn. We didn't train to him to be out there. He just took up residence and that was that. On those real fiercely cold nights, Mom would insist that Beau come into the house and he preferred to stay in the kitchen."

"You mentioned a job. What was his?"

"He loved the Farm. Every morning he'd disappear through the path to the Farm. When we had more sheep and cattle on the Farm, Beau was out there, herding sheep, harassing the calves when they were dawdling. Beau was a natural herding dog. Steve looked like a real cowboy in his younger days, still does. He taught me how to ride before I could walk. Then as Beau got older and the Farm gradually turned into what it is now, Beau became more of a protector. A watch dog."

"That must have been a good thing when you went off to college and to work."

"It was. I didn't worry leaving Mother all on her own. She had Beau."

"But he wasn't the one around when you were a child, the one that Brian met that day."

"Nope, that was the Beau I grew up with. Now talk about a watch dog! He didn't want anything to do with sheep or cows." John let out a burst of laughter. "And he loved his comforts, no barn for him. Spoiled mutt. He was an inside dog. At night before he settled down, he'd patrol the perimeter, make sure the house was secure to his satisfaction then come into my room. He was one big dog, a hundred and fifty pounds at least. When he'd jump onto my bed he'd nearly toss me out. But he took his job as protector very seriously. Damn near followed me to school a couple of times. Mom had to keep him in the house until the bus dropped me off after school. Then if she didn't open the door, Beau would have jumped through a window. Come to think of it, we did lose a screen or two."

"How was he when Brian met him?" Bobby leaned into John and kissed his shoulder. They loved holiday time when they could be together, quiet and not hurried.

"Grandpa Aidan introduced Beau to him. I guess me and Brian had a lot in common even back then, because Beau immediately became protective of Brian too. Even if it was for a short time." John stopped talking. He was only ten when he met his half brother for the first time but didn't know who Brian really was at the time.

"If things were different..." John began.

"No, John, some things were meant to be."

"How can you say that? You know the kind of childhood Brian had or didn't have. Maybe if he had stayed here or if Mom had told Jack..."

"Then there would be no Brian and Justin or maybe no John and Bobby. No, it all happened for a reason and now we're all here, together. The way it's supposed to be. And with a new Beau to protect our son and Edna's Treasures." Bobby gave John a warm lingering kiss.

"Sometimes, I think you're too damn smart, Bobby Morrison." John leaned in for more kisses.

"That's Bobby Morrison-Anderson to you, mister. Let's go get Patrick and Beau before we have any accidents."

"Good idea. I'll take Beau out for a quick walk, then after lunch we can all take a hike through the woods."

"Sounds like a plan." The lovers kissed again then went to get their son and dog.

[lub dub...lub dub...lub dub...warm...good...home]

*****

"Come on, Patwick," Bree called.

"I'm playing with Beau."

"But he don't do nothin'," Bree whined.

"He's a good puppy, aren't you, Beau?"

"Patwick!"

"Come and look at him, Bree," Patrick said.

"He sleeping."

"Yeah, but he'll wake up if you pet him."

"He will?"

"Yep."

Bree kneeled down beside Beau. She tentatively put her hand on his head. He immediately opened his eyes and raised his head.

"See," Patrick told her.

Bree liked the feel of the puppy's fur. She placed her hand on his head and trailed it all the way down to his tail. The tag swished back and forth. Bree giggled.

"Beau's fun, aren't ya, boy?" Patrick said giving Beau a rub behind the ears.

Bree copied Patrick's motions scratching at Beau's ears. The ear was very soft and she squeezed a little harder feeling the soft fur underneath. Suddenly Beau gave a yelp and jumped away. Bree sat back on her bum surprised by the dog's actions.

"What did you do?" Patrick asked her as he wrapped his arms around Beau and hugged the frightened dog.

"Squeezed his ear," Bree admitted with a scared look on her face.

"Why?"

"It soft," Bree said getting ready to cry since Patrick seemed to be mad at her and Beau wouldn't let her pet him now. Every time she raised her hand to touch the pup, he backed away.

"You have to be careful," Patrick said solemnly. "Be … gentle. Like this." Patrick proceeded to show Bree how to properly pet the pup. Beau soaked it all up.

"Don't like Beau," Bree said standing up. She headed out of the sun porch to find her fathers.

"Well, Beau doesn't like you either," Patrick yelled after her, making her cry as she entered the house.

"Daddy!" she wailed. "Daddy!"

"What's the matter?" Justin asked rushing into the kitchen.

"Beau don't like me," she cried.

"What happened?"

"I petted him and he got mad," she said as her father picked her up.

"What's all the wailing?" Brian asked coming down from his office.

"Bree and Beau had some kind of altercation."

"Did they now? Where's Beau?"

"Out there," Bree said pointing to the sun porch.

"Maybe we need some puppy lessons," Brian said.

Justin carried Bree as he followed Brian into the sun porch. Patrick and Beau were still laying on the floor side by side.

"What happened, Patrick?"

"Bree squeezed Beau's ear. He don't like that."

"Bree," Brian began, "you have to be gentle and not startle Beau. Watch." Brian petted the dog who started to lick Brian's face as the man squatted beside him. "Um, yuck, enough of that," Brian said as he pushed the pup away.

"Who's giving who lessons?" Justin laughed. "Dada's silly, isn't he, Bree?"

"Silly Dada," Bree agreed. Her tears were all gone. She squirmed until Justin let her down. "Sowwy, Beau," she said giving the pup a hug like she had seen Patrick do. The pup gave her a good face licking as she giggled with pleasure.

"I'm glad she likes dog slobber more than I do," Brian said. "You can show her the proper way to pet the pup."

"Thanks," Justin replied, "but I enjoyed your demonstration." He couldn't stop the laugh that escaped.

"Ha, fucking, ha!"

"Oh, come on, you old poop. I'll help you wash it off."

"In the shower?" Brian asked with a suggestive waggle of his eyebrows.

"Okay," Justin said. "I think the kids and Beau will be busy for a while as long as Bree doesn't squeeze the pup's ear."

"Don't squeeze anything, Squirt," Brian said as he grabbed Justin's hand and headed for the shower.

*****

"John, is us having a puppy a good idea?" Bobby asked his spouse pensively.

"Why do you ask?"

"Patrick may not be old enough for this responsibility and Briana appears to be jealous. Beau is monopolizing Patrick. Bree's had Patrick all to herself up till now."

"You do have a point there but I think Patrick takes his responsibilities very seriously and it's winter. I spend most of the season at home. Beau will be properly cared for and trained. By the time summer rolls around the pup will be a well trained member of the family."

"Unlike some us," Bobby snarked and John scowled angrily. "I was thinking of Brian," Bobby said with a chuckle.

"Oh. Dinner........the roast......oven....."

[blah...blah...blah...warm...smell good...hungry...up...up...mmm]

"YIPE!" Beau squealed as his nose touched the hot oven.

"Beau!" John and Bobby yelled. John picked the poor puppy up into his strong comforting arms then quickly took out a small bag of frozen peas from the freezer. Grabbing a dish towel, he sat on a stool with the pup firmly in his arms close to his chest. John cooed something soothing to the puppy while lightly holding the wrapped peas to the pup's nose.

"Did he get burned?" Bobby asked with concern.

"No, Baby. The heat just scared him; he only touched the oven window for a fraction of a second. Something he won't do ever again. Will you, boy?"

John held the forlorn puppy up higher to look into his eyes and to examine his nose. Beau was scared but no wounds to be had.

"John, I'll finish dinner, you take him inside. I think he needs your gentle touch." Bobby smiled lovingly at his partner. John nodded and took the hapless puppy into the living room.

[lub dub...lub dub...lub dub...warm...safe...sleep...lub dub...lub dub]

*****

"Hey little brother, get your ass down here!" John shouted up to Brian's office from the sun porch. Brian was working from home, Justin's Old Masters were knocking them dead at the gallery. Justin had gone to Pittsburgh to do an interview. He had taken Bree with him.

"What's all the shouting about?" Brian grumbled from the balcony.

"I'm going to take Beau out for a walk. You should come too. You've been cooped up all day in that office. I'm beginning to regret I ever built that thing."

"You think I need the exercise?" Brian was horrified at the thought that he was getting flabby.

"Cut. It. Out. You're still too skinny; however, the fresh air will do you good. And I want to take a good look at the land while Beau enjoys his walk."

Beau was wearing his little doggie overcoat and wagging his tail. Or rather the tail looked like it was wagging him. He enjoyed the walks he took with John.

Brian didn't argue. He put on his own heavy overcoat and followed his brother and Beau out. About fifteen minutes into their walk, John broached the subject.

"Brian, are you still considering buying up the surrounding land?"

"Yes, why? Don't you think it's a good idea?"

"I think it's an excellent idea. Bobby and I have been looking into it. It is state land. Much of it foreclosed farmland. And we know the infrastructure is in place. A few more homes can be built without overtaxing the land or we can leave it for the next generation. The state is losing money on it so they may part with it cheap."

"It'll be a good investment for the future and I like that we can control who lives on it."

"Whom do you have in mind, little brother? I can hear those wheels grinding from here. Were you thinking about Gus?"

"Maybe, but I was thinking more of Emmett and Drew?"

"Emmett and Drew? I'm surprised; thought he'd be a true city boy."

"Ah but you forget where he grew up, Hazelhurst, Mississippi," Brian said with his best southern drawl. "He's always wanted a quaint old cottage with a white picket fence. He almost got it." Brian looked away at the memory. John reached over to cup his brother's chin.

"What happened?" John asked softly.

"It was back when Emmett and Ted were trying to make a go of it as a couple." John gave Brian a look of disbelief. "Yeah, I know, scary thought, but they tried. Even found a house that Emmett could transform. Then all hell broke loose. Stockwell had Schmidt arrested. It was the beginning of the end for Teddy."

"But that's long behind you, and Ted got a second chance." Brian nodded at his brother's statement. It seemed like many of his family got second and third chances. They had just about got it right by now. "So you think Emmett and Drew would like a cottage way out here?"

"I think they'd love it. Of course it would have to have the ultimate kitchen and a white picket fence."

"I can do that," John said with pride.

"Of that I have no doubt." Brian also had pride in his brother's capabilities.

Beau was scampering on his long lead just in front of the brothers. He was having the time of his short little life attacking dried up old leaves he found among the patches of snow. He was rather victorious over twigs. Beau also answered nature's call as best he could, given his still short puppy legs.

"What the fuck is he doing?" Brian looked at Beau with a combination of shock and disdain.

"He's peeing. What the hell do you think he's doing?"

"John, if I'm not mistaken, I bought a boy puppy. It's squatting," Brian groused about the now gender questionable pup. John burst out laughing.

"He's a boy, Brian," John reassured his brother.

"Then why the fuck isn't HE raising his leg?"

"He's still a baby. He doesn't know how to do that yet." John tried to explain reasonably to Brian.

"Well, hurry up and teach him, for fuck's sake, that's embarrassing." Brian turned, then stomped away toward the cottage, muttering all the way. John's laughter filled the crisp winter air.

"I have a brother who prefers to bottom and a boy dog who squats when he pees. Where did I go wrong?" Brian asked the gods in the sky.


Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 2



"Beau!"

Beau raised his head realizing that that was the word that people called out when they wanted him to pay attention. He was asleep in a little patch of winter sunlight at the end of the sun porch. The little boy who usually played with him had gone away, to something called school. Beau opened his sleepy eyes and looked up at the little blonde person who was standing in front of him.

'Oh no, it was the crier and the squeezer!' Beau laid his head back down.

"Beau!" Bree said again. "Play?"

Beau opened one eye and looked at the child. He wasn't at all sure about this one. He knew the big people were very gentle with him. They picked him up and cuddled him. He liked that. This one was the one who had squeezed his ear.

"Beau," Bree said batting her eyes at him. She plunked herself down beside him and started running her hand down his back. His tail started to swish from side to side. That tail always betrayed him. "Love you, Beau," Bree cooed as she buried her face against his neck.

Beau let out a low rumble from his throat. He actually liked the feel of what she was doing, but he didn't want her to pinch some other part of him.

Bree pulled back and looked at the dog. She frowned and stared at him. She wasn't sure what that noise meant.

"Daddy!" she yelled getting up and running back into the house. "Daddy, Beau made noises at me."

Beau did his version of a puppy smile, yawned and went back to sleep.

*****

Brian relished this time of year. The holidays were over, the threat of snow made the countryside quiet. Justin was busy doing his 'artiste' shtick and doing it very well, mind you. As much as he complained about meet and greets, Justin took to it gracefully. He went into the Pitts almost daily, taking Princess Squirt with him so she could go to school.

Brian, being the king of his empire, could afford to run it from home, which was what he was supposedly doing, from the comfort of his sun porch. After the intense experience he and Justin, and for that matter, most of his family endured in New York, Brian decided not to waste the opportunity for quiet. Quiet, was exactly what the doctor ordered at least until the next crisis. And Brian had a funny feeling that the 'crisis' would be happening soon, if the buzz Hunter was making was any indication.

So here Brian sat, a cup of his favorite coffee on a small table by his side, a mystery novel in his hand. He was all set for a quiet, lazy day at Edna's Treasures. Of course, quiet could be a relative term when the newest member of Edna's Treasures was on the prowl.

[good boy...big boy...warm...safe...smell good...good boy]

"What is that dog up to?" Brian muttered to himself, arching one brow as the pup boldly plodded out of the Anderson-Morrison kitchen door, through the porch, stopping briefly at Brian's sock clad feet. Beau took a cursory sniff at the well groomed cotton covered digits then continued on his way to the Kinney-Taylor side. Brian normally would have followed the curious pup in fear of potential accidents; however, John assured Brian that Beau rarely had accidents, being the highly intelligent good boy that he was. Brian merely stated that, of course Beau was highly intelligent, did not Brian pick him out of a whole litter of puppies. John thought it wise to agree with his brother.

[good boy...big boy...smell good...mine...big boy]

Just then Beau appeared at the doorway, one of Brian's favorite Prada boots in his mouth. The boot was almost as big as the pup. It took a Herculean effort on the part of Beau to heave it out of Brian's closet, down the hall and out to the porch. If it were not one of Brian's favorites, he would have applauded the feat. However...

"Beau! Drop it!" Brian shouted so loudly that it echoed off the glass walls, startling the perpetrator of the offense. John who was in his office heard the shout and was immediately drawn to his balcony for a look-see. Beau tumbled, doing a half somersault, landing with his head stuck in the boot. Brian began to laugh but immediately stopped when he heard Beau's whimpers.

"What did you do to yourself?" Brian said softly using his best fatherly calming voice to reduce Beau's panic. He eased the boot off the puppy's head then held him close to his chest as he had seen John do when little Beau panicked in the past. Brian noted that neither the dog nor his boot suffered any ill effects from the episode. John had witnessed the whole exchange but decided to tease his brother a bit. He bolted down his spiral staircase.

"Kinney! What the hell are you doing to my dog?" John demanded as his long legs brought him over to where his brother was sitting on the porch floor with the puppy in his arms. John looked really, REALLY, angry.

"I, um...he, uh, the puppy had my boot and..." Brian sputtered.

"Give me my dog." John reached down and took the pup out of Brian's hands, cooing in the same calm voice Brian had used moments before. He tossed a death glare towards Brian then strode back toward his end of the cottage leaving a stunned Brian on the floor. Brian watched his brother disappear inside then reappear two seconds later sporting an ear to ear grin.

"Gotcha!" John called out then disappeared again.

"Son of a bitch!" Brian yelled out when he was finally struck with the clue bus as John laughed.

"Come on, Beau, let's go for a walk," Brian heard his brother say. He was still sitting on the floor. "You too, little brother," Brian heard John call.

"Woof!" Brian replied as he scrambled to his feet to put on his boots and coat.

"Good boy," John retorted.



*****

"Squirt, what's wrong?" Brian noted that Bree was becoming very quiet and that wasn't quite the normal state of affairs for a three year old, correction almost four year old.

"Nothing, Dada," Bree said softly. She was sitting on her bed holding the grey stuffed bunny that Gamma Joan had given her on Joan's arrival to New York.

"I don't think it's nothing, Squirt," Brian said as he sat on Bree's bed. He reached for Briana's brush that was on her nightstand. Bree edged her way closer and onto her Dada's lap. "What is it, sweetheart, don't you feel good?" Brian asked softly as he removed the hair clip and began to brush Bree's fine locks.

"I good."

"I'm good," Brian corrected.

"I'm good," Bree repeated.

"So why so quiet?"

"Patrick don't like me no more," Briana replied softly. Brian noted that Bree pronounced Patrick's name correctly, not using her baby talk so he decided not to further correct her at this time.

"Oh Squirt, Patrick loves you. One day he's going to be your handsome prince."

"No, he's not; he likes Beau more than me," Bree said sadly. Brian got it; his daughter was jealous of Beau. Brian leaned down to kiss his daughter's head.

"Patrick likes Beau in a different way than he likes you. He loves you."

"Do you love me, Dada?"

"Of course I do, you're my bestest Squirt." Bree squirmed in her father's lap until she turned to stand and face him. Brian gazed into the deep blue eyes that looked so much like Justin's.

"You're my bestest Dada!" Bree declared then threw her little arms around her Dada's neck.

Brian savored the moment then gently pushed her back to look into Bree's eyes. "Patrick's a boy and all little boys love their puppies. You be nice to Beau, and Patrick will pay attention to you." Brian taught his daughter some of the finer arts of getting her man. He gathered up the fine wisps of Bree's strawberry blond hair and replaced the hair clip. "Perfect," Brian murmured. He kissed his daughter then set her on the floor. Bree took off like a shot.

"Paaatwwick!" Bree called out as she ran to find her best friend and his pup.

Brian continued to sit on Bree's bed chuckling and shaking his head.

"There you are," Justin said cheerfully as he found his missing spouse. "I wondered where you disappeared to. What's so funny?" Justin wanted to know why Brian sported a silly grin. Brian drew Justin into his arms to kiss him senseless.

"Nothing. I'm just so happy and lucky to have my blond Taylors in my life," Brian whispered as he gazed into Justin's deep blue eyes. "So very lucky." Justin gave his spouse his sunniest smile just before they kissed again.

*****

The family of Edna's Treasures was enjoying a late Sunday brunch. The winter sunlight filtered its way through the sun porch glass warming the air. Brian had wowed his family with a feast. Before clearing the table, the family was enjoying peaceful conversation, catching up on the latest gossip regarding work, school and the rest of their family. Beau had taken up his position under the table, enjoying whatever tidbits that had made their way down to him. Much to Beau's pleasure, he found the best tidbits came from his human, Patrick and from the other, the man that smelled almost the same as his human, John. Patrick had sat across from Brian so it took little effort on Beau's part to accept all freely given gifts. Afterwards, Beau and his full belly found a warm patch of sun, curled up into a little ball and fell peacefully asleep.

[warm...good boy...safe...not hungry...warm...sleep]

*****

"Daddy, beans," Bree said.

"Okay, but this is all you get for today."

"'Kay."

Justin counted out three jelly beans from the jar in the cupboard and handed them to Bree. She smiled at him and ran to play in the sun porch. Justin got back to preparing the roast they were having for dinner.

It was very quiet out on the sun porch when Justin put the roast in the oven. He poked his head out there to see what Miss Briana was up to. She was sitting on the floor with a sleeping Beau at her feet. The puppy loved to find a spot of sun and luxuriate in the warmth whenever he could. Patrick was at school and Bree was home since both her fathers had chosen to work from home. Brian was up in his office.

Bree was studying Beau carefully. Justin could see the concentration on her face. He was about to ask her what she was doing when he heard her whisper, "Beau." The puppy raised his head and looked at her. She took one of the jelly beans from her hand and held it out to the puppy. Beau sniffed and then laid his head back down. Instead of giving up, Bree placed the bean on the floor in front of the pup's nose and whispered his name once again.

Beau looked up at the little blonde girl. He still wasn't sure about her, but she seemed to be calmer and less of a danger to him lately. Bree pushed the bean closer to the pup, using her finger to place it close to Beau's head. Beau sniffed the jelly bean, out popped his tongue and the bean disappeared into his mouth.

Bree smiled and said, "Good," as she placed one of her remaining jelly beans in her own mouth. "Happy Valentine's, Beau," she said, carefully enunciating each word.

"What are you doing, Briana?" Justin asked having witnessed the whole proceeding.

"I give Beau his Valentine's tweat, so he will like me," she explained.

"That's treat, sweetheart. Valentine's is over," Justin told her.

"I know, but I forgot to get Beau a cupcake."

"Dog's don't eat cupcakes and he shouldn't have jelly beans either."

Bree frowned. "But then he don't get to cel…cele…"

"Celebrate," Justin supplied. "Dogs like things such as bones or doggie toys."

"Bone?" Bree asked.

"I was going to go into Harrisburg for a few things. How be you come with me and we'll go to the pet store and see what we can find for Beau as a belated Valentine's present?"

"Yes, Daddy. Now!"

"Okay, let me tell Dada what we're going to do and when we'll be back. Go find your boots and scarf and we'll get going."

"Bye, Beau," Bree said as she ran from the room.

Beau snorted and went back to his snooze.

*****

When Bree and Justin returned a couple of hours later the prime rib roast was smelling delicious and Brian was starting the potatoes and vegetables.

"'Bout time you two got back," Brian said. "I don't like cooking by myself."

"Shouldn't that be, you don't like cooking at all?" Justin asked.

Brian did his death glare. "I've gotten better over the years."

"I won't argue with that," Justin chuckled. "Thanks for getting the rest of dinner ready. I didn't think we'd be quite so long."

"What were you doing?" Brian asked. He saw that Bree was struggling to get out of her jacket and boots, so he went to help her while Justin emptied the bags he was carrying onto the counter.

"I needed a few art supplies and Bree had to get some Valentine's presents for Beau."

"Valentine's?" Brian asked.

"Bee-later Valentine's," Bree said as she was finally free of coat, boots, scarf, mitts and hat.

"I think she means belated," Justin laughed.

"Can I give them to Beau?" she asked.

"You better ask Uncle John first," Brian replied.

"'Kay," Bree said as she headed for the Anderson-Morrison side of the house.

"What did you get?" Brian asked as he picked up the packages from the pet store.

"I caught Bree feeding Beau her jelly beans because the pup didn't get a cupcake for Valentine's Day like all Bree's other friends did at school. I told her jelly beans and cupcakes weren't the right thing for dogs, so we got Beau a crushed rawhide puppy chew and a soft vinyl football throw toy."

"How sweet," Brian snorted.

"What's this about presents for Beau?" John asked as he walked into the kitchen carrying Bree.

"There, Unca John," Bree said pointing to the items on the counter.

"Bree thought Beau deserved some Valentine's Day presents," Justin said with a smile. "We wanted to make sure they were okay with you."

"That's very thoughtful, little lady," John said as he set Bree down and took a look at the pup's toys. "These look fine, but old Beau wouldn't have known what to do with them," John said with a funny look on his face.

"You still miss Beau, don't you?" Brian asked.

John nodded. "We were together for a lot of years."

"I … I hope I didn't get the new Beau too soon," Brian said gently.

"No, little bro, he was just what I needed. He's a great dog."

"Dada! Dada!" Bree said pulling on the leg of Brian's jeans. "Give Beau his presents."

"I'll take Bree out to the sun porch with me and we'll present Beau with his new treasures," John said. "Something smells awfully good in here."

"Where's Patrick?" Justin asked.

"He's staying at daycare after school until Bobby picks him up."

"Then all of you can join us for dinner."

"Sounds good to me," John said with a smile. "Come on, Miss Briana, let's go make Beau's day."

"Yes, Unca John. Beau will like me now," Bree said quickly.

"Beau already likes you," John said taking Bree's hand and picking up the rawhide bone. "The trick with dogs is to know when they want to play and when they want to sleep. Maybe I can show you how to tell the difference."

John and Bree disappeared into the sun porch.

"That's good," Brian said watching them go. "Bree's afraid that Patrick likes Beau, so he doesn't like her anymore."

"Patrick didn't tell her that, did he?" Justin asked with a frown.

"No, but she figured out that Patrick was spending more time with the pup than he was with her. Her little nose was out of joint, especially after she pulled Beau's ear. She and the pup kind of got off on the wrong foot. We should have shown her what to do."

"Did you ever have a dog?" Justin asked.

Brian shook his head. "Are you kidding? Can you see Jack and Joan looking after a dog?"

"Maybe not," Justin laughed. "I never had a dog either, allergies."

"Are you allergic to Beau?" Brian asked.

"I don't think so but you'll notice I don't rub my face in his fur."

"Smart man," Brian grinned. "I guess getting a puppy for Bree is out of the question then."

"You … you want another puppy?" Justin asked with a stunned look on his face. He really couldn't picture Brian with a dog.

"No, I just wanted to see your reaction. I think Beau's plenty for all of us."

"Phew," Justin said with a mock wipe to his brow. "That's a relief."

"You mean you didn't want to get up in the middle of the night to let him out, or clean up his accidents, or…"

"No, no and no. I have enough to do looking after you."

"And I'm even house trained," Brian laughed.

"It's taken me a long time to train you to do anything," Justin laughed.

"A lifetime commitment," Brian stated as he pulled Justin into his arms.

"A lifetime commitment," Justin whispered before Brian captured his lips in a long and sensuous kiss.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 3



"OW! Daaad!" Patrick ran from his room into the living room looking for John.

"What is it, son?"

"Beau bit me." Patrick tried to be brave but the tears were forming in his eyes. One or two slipped down his face.

"He bit you?" John couldn't believe that the puppy could be that mean. Patrick held up his finger for his dad to examine. Sure enough, there were two tiny indentations; however, the skin wasn't broken. "Let's go wash this up," John said calmly as he led his son to the bathroom to wash the affected area.

Patrick stood on his stool close to the sink so that John could easily wash Patrick's hands. "How did this happen?"

"We were playing tug of war and Beau bit me," Patrick tried to explain.

"Do you think Beau meant to bite you or did your finger just get in the way of his rope? Puppies like to chew and he's teething. I think your finger got in the way of his teeth."

"Oh." Patrick appeared to be considering what his father was trying to tell him. "You mean like Bree and her pacifier?"

"Something like that. Remember how she cried sometimes when her teeth were trying to come out?" Patrick nodded. Bree looked miserable at times but when her dads gave her a hard biscuit to chomp on Bree became happier. "Puppies are the same way. I bet if we really look close at his rope, we may find a puppy tooth."

"A puppy tooth?" Patrick's face lit up. "Can we look?" Patrick's booboo appeared to be forgotten.

"Sure, let's go." John and Patrick went back into Patrick's room. Beau had already fallen asleep. Tug of war was hard work for a puppy.

Father and son examined Beau's rope closely and there in one of the knots was a tiny tooth.

"Can I keep it?" Patrick was all smiles and fascinated then his smile faded. "Did it hurt to lose the tooth?"

"No, not at all. They're made to come out easily. And it means Beau is growing up."

"He is?"

"Yes, he is, Sonny Boy, just like you are. Come on, let Beau sleep. I'll find a little box to keep his tooth in. You're lucky, puppy teeth are hard to find." Patrick's smile was back and he and John went to find a tiny plastic box to house the tooth. John ruffled Patrick's soft red hair. Little did Patrick know that his dads had their own little box for Patrick's baby teeth.

*****

"Did it hurt a lot?" Bree asked Patrick when he told her of the incident. He had showed the injured finger to Bree.

"No, not a lot." Patrick conveniently left out the part where he was crying. "And I have a Beau tooth," Patrick said proudly.

"You do?!" Briana was impressed with her hero. "Can I see it?" Bree slowly batted her eyelashes at Patrick like she saw her Daddy bat his at her Dada. That always got what her Daddy wanted.

"Sure." Patrick took Bree to his room to see the tiny box that held its treasure.

"Wow," Bree whispered in awe.

"Yeah, wow," Patrick whispered in agreement.

*****

[warm...good boy...big boy...sniff...sniff]

"Cheeeewwwww!"

"What the hell was that?" Bobby asked as his head popped up from under the blankets where he was in the act of driving John insane with his tongue. John attempted to get the few remaining workable brain cells together to form a coherent answer.

"Beau sneezed."

"That was a puppy sneeze? Damn near shook me out of bed," Bobby said in disbelief. Then Bobby began to chuckle. John was laying flat on his back, his arms at his sides with a handful of sheet in each fist. His legs were spread wantonly apart allowing Bobby access to his nether regions.

"I wonder why he sneezed?" Bobby mumbled as he dipped his head back to take care of the job at hand, or should that be the job at mouth.

"Smells like sex in here," John murmured.

"Hmm?" Bobby hummed around John's cock.

"Shh, not polite to talk with your mouth full," John rumbled from the head of the bed.

"Cheeeewwwww!"

"Bleth ooo."

*****

"Where's Beau?" John asked as he came into the kitchen. Patrick and Bobby were getting ready to leave so that Bobby could drop his son off at school.

"Probably in the sun porch," Bobby said. "He loves that little patch of sun."

"It's a wonder he isn't here begging for food."

"He's hungry all the time, Dad," Patrick said.

"He's a growing pup," John replied.

You don't think he has worms, do you?" Bobby suggested.

"Ew, Poppa, what do you mean, worms? Like from the garden?" Patrick's face was all screwed up with worry and disgust.

"No, they're worms that grow inside dogs sometimes," Bobby explained.

Patrick's face got very solemn. "Will Beau die?"

"I don't think Beau even has worms, son," John said. "We had him checked out at the vet's. He's just a growing boy."

Beau came bounding in from the sun porch having heard the voices. He slid to a stop by Patrick's chair. Patrick reached down tentatively to pet the pup.

"It's okay, Patrick," John said trying to reassure him. "I'm sure Beau is fine."

"Maybe he needs to go to the doctor," Patrick said patting Beau's head.

John sighed and gave Bobby a look that demanded to know why the topic of worms had even been brought up in the first place. "I guess I could take him in this afternoon … just to be sure."

"That's good, Dad," Patrick said pleased that Beau would get checked out.

Beau watched the goings-on from the floor. He'd seen that look that passed between the two big men. It usually meant that one of them would be joining him in his doghouse, as they liked to say. Beau thought that was a great idea, except it never seemed to actually happen, even though they threatened it. He would have enjoyed company in his little house in the sun porch.

*****

"John, good to see you," Dr. Baker, the local vet, greeted John. "And who is this?" The vet bent down to pick up young Beau and place him on the examining table.

"Doc Baker, I'd like you to meet..."

"Beau?" The men laughed.

"Yes, this is the new Beau. My brother got him from the same breeder where his namesakes came from."

"I'm so sorry about old Beau. He was one fine dog."

"Yes, he was," John said sadly. "But this one will be just as good, in his own way." John patted the pup who was unaccustomed to being high up on the cold metal table.

"What brings you in so soon? Didn't my partner just check him out not too long ago?"

"Bobby thinks Beau may have worms. He has been a little off his feed for a couple of days."

"Do you have a sample with you?" John nodded and handed the vet a baggie containing puppy poop. "We'll have the lab take a look. I'll give you the medication to take home with you. Wait for my call before you give it to him. You know the drill."

"I should, been through it often enough." The vet finished his exam of the pup and declared him fit. John thanked the vet and paid the bill and the fee for the medicine.

"One more thing, John, are you going to have him neutered? I know his namesake wasn't but he lived in a different environment."

"Not sure, I'll talk it over with the family."

"No rush, this pup's still young yet. You let us know. I'll call when the tests come back." John and the vet shook hands then John lead Beau out the door.

John had time before he had to pick up Patrick from school. Edna's Treasures was rather quiet lately. Brian, Justin and Bree were spending a lot of time in Pittsburgh preparing for a fundraiser for Hunter's clinic. It made sense for them to stay in the Pitts rather than driving back and forth every day. After his experiences in New York, John knew that Brian preferred his family close to him, even if the cottage was only ninety minutes away.

"Jackie!" Claire greeted her son with enthusiasm and with a hug and a kiss.

"Hi, Mom."

"What brings you two here?" Claire bent low to pet Beau.

"We were at the vet and I have time to kill before getting Patrick from school. I thought we'd visit for a while, if that's okay with you."

"Of course, sweetheart, let me put the kettle on."

Mother and son shared the quiet afternoon, reminiscing about the Beaus that came before and how special they were, each in their own way.

"Jackie, are you still missing old Beau?"

"I guess I am but this little guy helps. He's going to be a great dog. I can feel it. He's smart and he's good with the kids. This little guy was just what I, we, needed."

"So, then what is it?" Claire knew something was up.

"I miss Brian."

"Oh Jackie." Claire smiled then gave her son another hug. "It's not like he's that far away and you have business in Pittsburgh. And I'm sure you'll see him at the fundraiser."

"I know but the cottage is so quiet when they're not there. I like it when the big goof works from home or Justin's painting away in the porch. Even if he does play the most god awful music you'd ever want to hear. And I miss the princess too." John looked so forlorn, it made Claire want to chuckle. Her son still retained a little bit of the boy in him.

"They'll be home soon."

"I know. Shit, speaking of home, I better get a move on. Patrick should be getting out of school soon." John grabbed his coat and Beau's leash.

"I'll walk you out." John bid his mother goodbye then he and Beau went to get Patrick.

*****

"Hey, Dad!"

"Hi, Sonny Boy. How was school today?"

"Good. Did Beau see the doctor?"

"Yes."

"Does he have worms?"

"Don't know yet. We have to wait for the tests but I have his medicine, just in case."

"Okay, Dad."

*****

[good boy...big boy...good boy...smell good...mine]

"Beau, is that a Beau toy?" John said sternly as Beau tramped through the cottage with one of Briana's dolls. Beau stopped in his tracks to look up at his man. He blinked a few times then turned to walk into the Kinney/Taylor end of the cottage. When Beau reappeared he was minus one doll but had the grey stuffed bunny in his mouth.

"I don't think so." John looked directly into Beau's eyes. Beau knew that John was the alpha male. He quickly lowered his eyes then plodded back into the Kinney/Taylor hall. When he reappeared again, Beau was sans toy.

"Good boy." John was quick to reward good behavior and he realized that Beau must be missing Bree, even if she did squeeze his ear too hard. John took out his phone.

*****

"There you go, boy." John patted Beau's head as he settled down in the spot in the porch that he claimed as his own. John had purchased a dog bed for Beau that stayed in the corner of the porch near to his dog house where the sun lingered the longest. In the bed were Beau's favorite toys and several of John, Bobby and Patrick's old socks that were tied together. Beau found it comforting to nuzzle the socks when the family was out. John now had a new string of socks to add to it. Beau nuzzled his new prize, sighed contentedly then went to sleep. John's phone vibrated in his pocket.

"Yeah, it worked," John whispered. "He's out like a light and if I'm not mistaken, we have one very happy pup." Beau wagged his tail sleepily as affirmation. "Yup, a very happy pup. Thanks little bro, see you soon." John ended his conversation then went back inside his kitchen.

[warm...smell good...mine...big boy...good boy...warm...sleep]

*****

"Hello, Dog," Brian addressed Beau as he came into the porch with his morning cup of coffee. It was early on a Saturday morning in May. Justin's 'Old Masters' were a rave in New York. They'd stay in New York for the remaining year, then Sidney wanted to send them around the country, and they were even contemplating Europe.

The Kinnetik empire was going strong and the Jason Kemp clinic was now self sufficient. That left Brian with a lot of time on his hands.

"What are you up to?"

Beau was almost a year old and just about fully grown. He was big, strong and fierce to look at but Brian knew that Beau was still a puppy with a puppy's sense of humor. Beau sat in front of his other man.

"Are you hungry? Don't they feed you enough over there?" Brian craned his neck to look at Beau's bowls. "Nope, you have plenty of food and water. So that can't be it. But you do want something." Brian took another sip of his coffee then with coffee mug in hand, Brian went to the porch door. His garden was in bloom.

"I bet you want to go out, don't you?" Brian felt the breeze Beau's tail was making as he wagged. "I think your daddy needs to make you a doggie door." Brian put his mug down on a table then retrieved the leash that was on a hook by the Anderson/Morrison kitchen door. Beau didn't need it but John said it was a good idea to keep it with you just in case.

"Let's go for a walk, Dog." Beau knew that when this man said the 'dog' word, it meant him. Brian slid open the screen door and Beau and he went outside. They were walking through the brush for about 30 minutes when John sprinted up to join them.

"Bri, Gordon and his men are here. I want your approval before I give them the go-ahead." John patted his chest, Beau raised himself up on his hind legs to place his front paws on John's chest. Beau was nearly as tall as John and could certainly knock over Justin or Bobby if he wanted to but he never would. "You keeping Brian out of trouble, boy?" John gave the dog a hug then stepped back so that Beau could get down. Beau gave John a knowing look.

"You have him well trained," Brian remarked with a smile. Brian couldn't believe that Beau was such a great dog having little experience with dogs other than with old Beau.

"Now if we can get you trained, I'd have nothing to worry about," John snarked.

"Yes, but then life would be rather boring, don't you think?"

"You're probably right. Come on, Gordon's waiting. He checked out the infrastructure, we have all the permits and he has the plans for the new cottage. Let's go take a look." John was excited about their new venture.

"You guys are not expecting me to get my tool belt, are you?" Brian raised an eyebrow.

"No, little brother, we wouldn't dream of it but we know how you are." John said little else then strode away with Beau marching alongside.

"What do you mean, how I am?" Brian looked surprised. John chuckled but kept right on walking. "Hey! HEY!" John's laughter filled the clear Spring morning air and Beau barked happily.

"Bad enough I get snark from my brother but from a dog too," Brian was heard to grumble. "At least he raises his leg to pee now!" Brian shouted at his brother. John's laughter got louder.

*****

"So you think you can get it done in two months?" John asked Gordon.

"Hey, Johnny, when have I ever let you down?" Gordon asked his long time business partner and friend. John seemed to be contemplating Gordon's question.

"Um, never. We'd like this done by July but I don't want to sacrifice quality."

"Johnny Boy, have no fear. We're not pouring a basement; there'll be a crawl space. The furnace, water heater and laundry room will be in the back. The main room will be mostly fireplace with the bedroom sharing the back of the fireplace. From the outside it'll look like a quaint cottage similar to yours, the one big difference..."

"The state of the art kitchen for all those masterpieces he's going to create," Brian supplied.

"I still don't know how you got Emmett to tell you all about his dream kitchen," John commented.

"That was easy, I just asked," Brian crowed smugly. John and Gordon were amazed. "Look, I may know more about the latest haute couture but I also know the top of the line appliances when I see them. I merely suggested that I was interested in updating our appliances and asked his advice. One thing led to another and I just let nature take its course. I feel sorry for Drew though; the poor man is footing the bill for all of this. I may have to think of a new campaign to use him as a model so he can pay for this dream house. And don't forget the white picket fence."

"One white picket fence, coming right up," Gordon confirmed as he jotted down notes on his pad. "I'll tell the guys to start staking out the ground. Johnny, my man, go get your hard hat and you..." Gordon addressed Brian, "go put on another pot of coffee."

"Sir, yes, sir!" John and Brian said as one, gave Gordon a mock salute then headed back toward Edna's Treasures.

"Well trained bastards, the pair of ya!" Gordon called out and they all laughed soundly with Beau lending his loud barking.


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 4



"Where were you, Bree?" Patrick asked as Bree arrived back home with her father. Patrick had heard Justin's SUV pull up and he had run to the Kinney-Taylor side of the house to greet Bree. Beau was close on his heels. They arrived at the same time that Justin opened the front door and let himself and Bree in.

Bree smiled happily. Even though Patrick still had Beau to play with, he now seemed very interested in playing with her once again. She wondered why she had been worried. Her Dada had told her the truth.

"Hi, Patrick," she said beaming at him. "Hi, Beau. I was at Gamma Susan's."

Beau nuzzled Bree's hand and Bree patted his head.

"Who's Gamma Susan?" Patrick asked with a frown.

"Susan's married to my father," Justin said as he carried in the groceries from the SUV.

"Your father?" Patrick asked. "Where is he?"

Justin gave a wry smile. Patrick had never met Craig, and that was just as well. "He lives in Pittsburgh."

"Why doesn't he ever come here?"

"He … we don't get along very well," Justin said hoping that would satisfy the inquisitive boy.

"Why not?"

Justin sighed. So much for thinking that answer would satisfy Patrick. "It's a long story," Justin said as he dropped the bags on the counter and started putting things away.

"That means I'm not old enough to know about it," Patrick said matter-of-factly. "Okay. Can Bree come and play with Beau and me outside?"

"I guess so. Try not to get too dirty before dinner, and stay in sight of the sun porch."

"Okay," Patrick agreed.

"Bree, here's your snack. Want some carrots too, Patrick?" Justin asked.

"Sure."

Justin handed Bree a little baggie with several small carrots in it. He quickly made up another one for Patrick.

"Come on, Beau," Patrick said as he headed for the sun porch. Beau followed him.

"When will Dada be home?" Bree asked.

"Soon."

"'Kay," she replied and went after her cousin.

"Patrick," she called as she opened the sun porch door. Beau bounded around from a corner of the house, Patrick close behind.

"Let's go to the playhouse," Patrick suggested. They ran across the yard and into the playhouse which John had recently got ready for them, removing all the winterizing shutters and boards. They sat down on the floor and started to munch on their carrots.

Beau lay nearby watching them.

"How come you have so many grandmas, when you don't have a mother?" Patrick asked with a thoughtful look on his face.

Bree frowned and thought about Patrick's question. "I don't know," she finally admitted.

"I'm sure you can only have two grandmas. I have Grandma Claire and Grandma Emily. They're my fathers' mothers. We learned that in school," Patrick said knowledgeably. "I had to make a family tree."

"What that?" Bree asked.

"You make a … a dia … lines on a paper with the names of Poppa and Daddy and their parents."

"Oh." Bree wondered when she would get to do that at her school.

"So, how come you have so many grandmas?" Patrick asked again.

"I could ask Daddy," Bree suggested. She didn't like not knowing things especially when Patrick seemed to know more than she did.

Patrick nodded, ready to leave it at that. "Beau," Patrick said and held out a carrot to the pup. Beau got up and quickly inhaled the carrot.

"Daddy said dogs aren't apposed to get people food."

"My Daddy says that Beau can have vegetables," Patrick said patiently.

Bree took her last carrot and held it out for Beau. He quickly snapped it out of her hand. Bree wasn't sure she liked Beau's teeth so close to her hand, but he hadn't hurt her. She stood up and ran her hand down his back.

"Let's go down to the stream," Patrick suggested.

Bree frowned. "Daddy said I hafta stay close to the sun porch."

"It's not that far," Patrick explained. "We'll still be close to the house."

"But…"

"Come on, Bree, don't be a scaredy cat."

The last thing Bree wanted to be called was a scaredy cat. She got up and headed for the path that led to the stream. Patrick smiled and followed her.

Beau watched the two children. He had a feeling something wasn't right. He glanced back at the house but couldn't see anyone. The children were already part way down the path but not quite to the trees. Beau raced down the path and quickly passed them. He could hear the stream still swollen from spring rains rushing over the rocks. He turned and faced the children baring his teeth at them and growling.

Patrick and Bree came to an abrupt stop as they got a look at Beau's teeth. Bree stepped closer to her cousin.

"What's wrong with Beau?" she asked in a tiny voice. The big dog scared her.

"Beau, get out of the way," Patrick ordered.

Beau growled and stood his ground.

"Come on, Bree," Patrick said taking her hand. He tried to walk around Beau.

Beau growled and nudged the boy with his nose. Patrick told him to stop and tried again to get around the dog. Beau gave him a butt with his head sending Patrick onto his bum. Bree shrieked and ran for the house yelling for her Daddy.

Justin heard the cries and came racing out of the sun porch door. He ran towards the playhouse when he saw Bree running up the path that led from the stream. She ran into Justin's arms.

"What's wrong, sweetheart," Justin asked as he hugged the frightened girl.

"Beau growled at us and he knocked Patrick down," she said between sobs.

"Where's Patrick?" Justin asked with concern evident in his voice. Just then Patrick ran up the path followed by a bounding Beau.

John came flying out of the house at that moment to see what all the shouting was about. "What's going on?"

"Apparently Beau knocked Patrick down and growled at Bree," Justin explained.

"Beau, sit," John ordered. Beau was by his leg and immediately sat down.

"What were you two doing?" John asked looking sternly at both children.

"Um … we…" Patrick began but he didn't want to tell his father that they were on their way to the stream.

"We going to the stream," Bree admitted with a last sob. She was safe now that her father was there and had his arms around her.

"You were what?" Justin demanded.

"Patrick, you know you are not to go near that stream without an adult," John said forcefully. "The water's very high right now. You or Bree could have drowned."

"Sorry, Dad," Patrick said staring at the ground.

"Sowwy, Daddy," Bree said in her baby voice.

"I told you both to stay in sight of the sun porch," Justin felt compelled to add.

"Beau was protecting you," John said. "He knew you weren't supposed to go near the stream. Good dog, Beau, good dog," he told the pup giving him a chin rub and then a scratch to both ears.

Beau's tongue hung out savoring John's rubbing. He had been afraid he had done the wrong thing, but apparently he had been right to stop the children from going near the water.

"Tell Beau thank you," Justin told his daughter. "He was looking after you."

"Thank you, Beau," Bree said hugging Beau's neck. He licked her face as she showed that she still loved him in spite of what he had done.

"You too, young man," John told Patrick.

"Sorry, Beau. Thanks for stopping us," Patrick said taking his turn to hug the pup.

John and Justin shared a smile. "Let's go inside and get some dinner," John said putting his hand on Patrick's shoulder.

Justin picked up Bree and they all started for the house. "Good boy," Justin said giving Beau a pat.

"Woof," Beau replied.

*****

Later that night, Beau patrolled the grounds then each side of the cottage. Satisfied that his kingdom was secure, Beau settled in his bed. He nuzzled his rope of socks, took one more look around then fell asleep.

[good boy...big boy...warm...safe...mine...protect...good boy]

"I heard you had a little excitement here this afternoon," Bobby commented to John. Edna's Treasures was settled in for the night. Beau had just finished his patrol.

"Mmm. Beau proved what a good dog he really is," John replied as he snuggled next to Bobby, his hand tracing lazy circles on Bobby's chest.

"Care to share?" Bobby said with a nip to John's chin.

"Patrick was feeling brave and maybe a touch defiant."

"Defiant? Our son, defiant. I find that hard to believe," Bobby mused.

"With you and me as parents, it was inevitable. And he led Briana down the garden path with him. Or should I say, down the path to the stream. But Beau stopped them."

"How?" Bobby could feel John tense up at the memory. He cuddled as close as he could, placing one leg in between John's.

"He put himself in front of the kids, bared his teeth then gave Patrick a little head butt. Sonny Boy landed on his rump and Bree went running for home. Beau's still young but he knew instinctively what to do. He's protecting his pack."

"His what?"

"His pack. Us. We're his pack."

"You make us sound like wolves."

"To Beau, we are, in a way. Take a good look at him some time. He may have a touch of the wolf in him."

"Should I be worried?"

"No, Baby, not at all. He's far from wild but he has the wolf smarts. And a fierce loyalty that most dogs have when brought up in a loving environment. And you have to admit, this dog is loved."

"That he is. Even by the other side."

"Other side?" John smirked.

"Brian, Justin and Bree. Justin's a little distant though."

"That's because he's afraid that his allergies may act up and you know he can't take most medication. Bree was jealous and Beau can be intimidating, but I think she respects him and loves him in her own little way."

"What about your brother?" Bobby giggled softly. They both knew that Brian was an ole softie when it came to Beau. He was caught on several occasions sneaking a treat to the dog under the table. Brian always played the innocent.

"He's just as fond of Beau as we are, although he may not admit it. It was his suggestion that I make the doggie door."

"It amazes me that Beau hasn't lifted his leg on one of Brian's precious plants," Bobby's giggle became louder.

"I think Beau and Brian came to an understanding. Wolf to wolf." Bobby's giggle was infectious and John joined in. Then John pounced on his mate, capturing Bobby's lips, pinning Bobby's arms to the mattress.

"Mmm, methinks someone is trying to tell me he's top dog for the night," Bobby purred in John's ear.

"Do you mind?" John asked softly, sucking at the sweet spots on Bobby's neck and settling himself between Bobby's legs.

"Not at all. You can be top dog anytime you want." Bobby's words were coming in stuttered pants as John's ministrations increased.

"I love you, Bobby." John captured Bobby's lips again then he slowly laved his way down Bobby's firm body. "Love you so much."

"Love you," Bobby said blissfully. Neither man spoke further; the only sounds to be heard were the sounds of love.

*****

The next morning, Brian and Beau were at the construction site. A makeshift driveway had been cleared as well as the perimeter for the stone foundation. Brian was in awe at how well organized John, Gordon and their crew were. Beau sat quietly at his heels waiting for some indication that they were to continue their walk. Just then Beau stood up and started wagging his tail.

"What is it, Dog?" Brian asked as he patted the top of the dog's head. Brian turned when he heard John's footfalls. "Ah, that early warning system you have," Brian snarked. "Morning, brother dearest," Brian called out over his shoulder.

"You have bionic hearing now?" John responded.

"Nah, but Beau does. He could hear those boats of yours tramping through the grass a mile away." Brian did a double take when he noted a little extra bounce in John's saunter. Brian arched a brow. "Someone got lucky last night," Brian said smugly.

"I'm lucky every night." John tried not to blush.

"That's not what I mean and you know it. Someone took a trip to the top."

"Well, I am the alpha dog around here." John couldn't hold back his smile.

"Way to go, big brother! I'll make a top out of you yet." The boys broke out into belly laughs. Beau jumped up then scampered around them joining in their mirth.

"See, even Beau recognizes the leader of the pack!" John said proudly.

Just then Gordon walked up to join them.

"Do I want to know why you boys are cackling like a bunch of old hens?" Gordon asked the still giggling brothers.

"Some things are better left unsaid," John counseled his friend.

"I'll take your word on that." Gordon thought the advice worth listening to so he didn't pursue it. "Come with me, I'll update you both on our progress." Gordon led the brothers closer to the site. John, Brian and Beau followed dutifully.

*****

"Hi," Bobby said lazily to John when John entered their bedroom. Bobby was languishing in bed. John had loved him thoroughly last night and well into the morning. "Where did you get the energy to get out of bed so early this morning?"

"I think you re-energized me." John sat on their bed and bent low to give Bobby a kiss.

"And I think you wore me out; you're one hell of a top dog, John Anderson." Bobby circled John with his arms.

"You taught me everything I know." John nestled into Bobby's arms.

"I taught you the basics. You are one creative lover."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Did you get some pointers from Brian?"

"Maybe, I just know what I like and I want to please you." John dipped his head, slightly blushing.

"You do please me, John, you please me so much that I ache sometimes. It's crazy, I know, but I love you more each day. My whole life began the day I met you." Bobby pulled John on top of him. "Can you come back to bed? Where's Patrick?"

"Patrick's with Brian and Bree. I think there's some serious gar-gar going on outside."

"Good, get naked and your fine ass back in this bed. I want you again."

"Your wish is my command," John said as he shucked off his clothes then got back into bed.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 5



"Do you hear something?" John asked sitting up in bed.

"Huh?" Bobby said opening a tired eye.

"I thought I heard something."

"Like what?"

"I don't know … just a noise. There it is again," John exclaimed as they heard a high pitched kind of whine. "That's Beau."

"Beau?" Bobby asked sitting up. "He's usually so quiet."

"Where the hell is he?" John asked as he got up and pulled on the bottoms of his sweats. He looked around the bedroom but there was no sign of Beau who often slept at the foot of their bed. John headed for Patrick's room wondering if something was wrong with his son. There was no sign of the dog there either. Patrick was still sound asleep. John closed the door to Patrick's room and headed for the sun porch, thinking Beau must be in his doghouse that was situated there.

As John entered the sun porch Brian was coming in from his end, having heard the same whines that had woken John.

"Where is that fucking dog?" Brian grumbled.

They both looked to the end of the sun porch and saw Beau standing looking out the window at one side. He whined pathetically.

"What is it, Beau?" John asked as he walked up to the pup.

Beau stared out the window and let out a little woof before turning to look up into John's face. Then he went back to staring out the window.

John followed the direction of Beau's gaze. Through the trees off in the distance he could see the flicker of light. It looked like fire. "Shit!" John gasped. "I think Drew and Emmett's place is on fire."

"What?" Brian exclaimed as he stared in the same direction. The flames weren't too large or obvious, but it was clearly fire.

"Have you got an extinguisher?" John asked. "I'll grab ours. Get some shoes and let's get over there before it gets fully engaged."

Both men knew that the frame of the house had just begun to be assembled. Brian ran back into his side of the house while John headed for his. Beau stayed at the window whining. When the men reappeared with the extinguishers, Beau danced around ready to follow. They dashed out the sun porch door and started running across the lawn and then the field that would take them to the new cottage.

"I should have called 911," Brian said.

"Bobby's awake. I told him to call 911."

"Good," Brian said as he tried to match stride with his older brother. John was a force to be reckoned with at times like these. Beau had already disappeared ahead of them.

As they came through the trees they could see the frame of the house in flames. It was a bare skeleton of the building but it was now pretty well engulfed in fire.

"I don't think we can stop it," Brian said as he came to a halt. The puny extinguisher in his hand wouldn't do much.

"No, but let's make sure the rest of the lumber and supplies don't go up in smoke too," John said as he moved over to the side of the burning building. "Maybe we can turn the water on and hose down the lumber."

John got to work on the connection while Brian put out a little brush fire that had started beside the house. The fire extinguisher worked well enough for that. In the distance he could hear the sound of a fire truck as John got a hose working and started to wet down the stacked lumber near the house.

By the time the fire truck arrived the frame of the house was fully engaged. John and Brian could do little but watch the firemen put the flames out. It didn't take them long, but both John and Brian could see that what had been constructed of the cottage was going to have to be demolished. They would have to start to frame the whole house over again.

"Do you gentlemen own this place?" one of the firemen asked when the flames were finally out.

"I do," Brian said. He did own the land.

"My company is building this cottage," John supplied. "Do you know what happened?"

"From a preliminary look, it appears that someone set this deliberately. There's a barrel in the center of the building and an empty gas can lying near it."

"But, who…?" John started.

"Best guess, kids. It's their idea of a thrill," the fireman said shaking his head.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted. "And I guess we'll never know what kids."

"Probably not," the fireman answered. "It's good you got here so quickly. All of the lumber and supplies could have gone up in flames too. What alerted you?"

"Where's Beau?" John said suddenly remembering his dog. "Beau!" he called.

Beau came out of the trees. He had quickly learned that he didn't like fire. It was hot and he had singed his nose. He approached John warily his tail down.

"It's okay, boy," John said squatting down beside the dog. "You did good warning us about the fire." He patted the dog gently. Beau whimpered and licked at John's face. "You look like you burned your nose, boy. We better see to that."

The fireman smiled at John and Beau. "Wet his nose with water and he should be okay," he said softly. "It doesn't look too bad. I have a dog just like him at home. Good boy!"

Beau's tail started to wag now that he was getting all this attention. John had a can of water that he encouraged Beau to stick his nose in. Beau whimpered.

"It's okay, boy," Brian said as he squatted sown beside the dog too. "You've had a busy night." Brian scratched Beau's neck.

"The fire's out. You guys can head on home. We'll make sure everything's secure here," the fireman said.

"Thanks," John said as he stood up. "Let's head back."

Brian nodded. Justin and Bobby would be worried. He wondered if the kids were still asleep. He hoped so. "Come on, Beau, your night's work is over."

*****

"What's he doing up there?" Bobby asked not really expecting an answer. The family was gathered in the sun porch having breakfast. It was about a week after the fire, John and Gordon had just gotten the go-ahead from the fire department and the police to start up the construction. Brian was up in his office. They could see that he was on the phone, pacing and his free hand gesturing madly. Then of course, there was all the shouting and cursing. At times like this, it was better to let Mount Kinney erupt unabated, stay out of the path of the lava flow, then deal with the aftermath.

John, Bobby, Justin, the kids and Beau cast their eyes upward toward Brian's office and waited.

"Schmidt, you have that info I need? Emailed? Oh, yeah, I see it. Thanks. No, we're fine but the project just got set back a few days. The fire investigator said arson, so we had to wait for the cops to give us the okay to start construction again. John's boys are working double time to make up for it. I swear if I find the bastards who did this, I... Yeah, yeah I know. Fuck, Teddy, okay, yeah, I will. I said I will! Okay, I promise, I swear on Bree and Justin's head that I will leave it up to the professionals. Fuck, what are you, my mother? I'm calm, I'm calm. Are you sure you guys can do without me for a while? No, I'm not gonna stand guard with a shotgun. With my luck I'd shoot myself in the foot. I'm hanging up now, Theodore."

Brian scanned the information Ted had emailed then he made a few phone calls. Within twenty minutes, Brian was coming down the spiral staircase to join the family. As he sat at the table, Justin placed a hot mug of coffee in front of Brian. Bobby passed the sugar and John slid over a plate of dry toast.

Brian took a few sips of coffee and a couple bites of toast. When he felt more human, Brian addressed the family. "I'm sorry I've been a bear lately but the fire really pissed me off." The family nodded with understanding.

"I was considering wiring up Edna's Treasures and Rachael's house with an alarm system but the investigator told me that it probably wasn't necessary." The eyes of the adults in the room grew large for a moment as they mulled over what Brian was saying then they waited for Brian to continue.

"He did suggest that Gordon erect a temporary fence around the construction site. Gordon's in the process of doing that today." Brian was saddened that their oasis from the big city had been violated. "So this is what I have in mind. The security firm that handles Kinnetik is going to send a crew up here. They have a mobile home that they'll park on the lane near the site. The guards will work from there."

Justin wanted to ask if it was really necessary to go to such extremes but knowing Brian, Justin thought it best to stay quiet.

"I also hired a private detective to look into the fires."

"Brian..." Bobby was about to protest.

"You can't talk me out of this, Big Red. The cops and the fire inspector both said that this fire bug has been annoying the shit out of them for almost two years now. So far no one's been hurt but the property damage is mounting with each subsequent fire. If it is kids, and if they catch them now, they might get away with doing time on The Farm rather than in jail. The county doesn't have the money or the resources to put cops on this full time. But I do."

"Okay, Brian, but you shouldn't have to foot the bill for all of it. The people who have been affected by the fire bug are a matter of public record. I can get a list, contact them and see if they'll contribute to the cost of the investigation. At the very least, John and I will go in with you." Bobby would not take no for an answer and neither would John. Justin cleared his throat loudly then glared at his spouse. Brian knew that look.

"Whatever you want to do, Sunshine, I won't argue with you." Brian smiled and shook his head. His family once again proved that he was not alone. Justin's glare softened then disappeared.

"Bri." John who up until now remained quiet was about to make a suggestion. "I'm going to call Bill and Steve on this just in case we are dealing with kids. They have an in with all the schools in the area from here to Harrisburg. They may be able to help." Brian thought that was a very good suggestion.

Beau had also remained quiet as Brian, his other man spoke clearly and with command. Beau recognized John as alpha but instinctively knew that Brian ran a close second. Brian tapped his fingers against his thigh a couple of times. Beau knew that it was his signal that this man wanted him. Beau went to Brian and set his massive head on Brian's thigh. Brian scratched at Beau's ears then closely examined the singed but healing nose.

"You are one hell of a dog," Brian said affectionately to Beau. "Let's go check on the site," Brian said to Beau. Brian finished his coffee, got up from the table, kissed Justin and Bree. He ruffled Patrick's hair then he and Beau went out the sun porch door.

*****

Brian stood outside the new security fence that surrounded the bare bones of Emmett's cottage. The framing that had been burnt had all been removed. There was a pile of charred lumber off to one side. Most of the frame had had to come down. They had been able to save only the back portion of what had been constructed. He shook his head as Beau sat beside him surveying the scene.

"Hey, Brian, what are you doing over here?" Gordon called as he caught sight of John's younger brother.

"Checking that you guys know what you're doing," Brian said with his tongue in cheek.

"It's a good job I like you," Gordon laughed. "Them's fighting words."

"You know I have great respect for what you do," Brian said seriously. "May I ask why you didn't put up a security fence when you first started the project?"

Gordon frowned. "We had fencing around when we were doing the foundation. Didn't want anyone falling in, but once that was done, we don't usually need to protect the site, especially in this neck of the woods. I guess this is an example of how times are changing," Gordon said sadly.

"And not for the better."

"Definitely not for the better. So this is the big guy who sent up the warning flare, is it?" Gordon asked stooping down and giving Beau's ears a good scratching.

Beau's tongue lolled out as he soaked up the affection. "Woof," he said gently.

"Good boy!" Gordon laughed. "If it wasn't for you we would have lost everything on the site, including a lot of our equipment."

"He's a good dog," Brian said running his hand down Beau's back.

"That he is. Your nose looks like it's coming along nicely, boy."

"Almost as good as new," Brian said. "I've hired a private detective to look into this fire. He may be around with some questions for you and your men."

"A private dick?" Brian nodded. "Now I know that times have really changed. What about the police? They were asking questions the other day."

"It's not a big enough crime to merit extra manpower," Brian said sarcastically.

"Shit!" Gordon reacted. "I know this is small town mentality, but there have been other arsons probably by these same kids. You'd think they'd want to stop them."

"If they can't, I will," Brian stated. "The firm that handles security for Kinnetik is going to set up a trailer down the lane. I don't think you'll have any more problems."

Gordon nodded. He thought that was probably overkill, but he knew better than to contradict Brian. "Well, I better get back to work. We're trying to make up for the lost time from tearing down the burnt section and starting over."

"Good luck," Brian said. "Come, Beau." He headed across the field with Beau running and dancing around him.

When Brian neared the house he stopped for a moment, and then headed down the path to the stream. Beau followed right behind him.

"Where do you think you're going, Dog?" Brian asked. "You don't have to protect me from the rushing waters of the fucking stream."

Beau looked up at the man and kept following him anyway. The man seemed disturbed about something, and Beau didn't want to leave him alone.

When Brian reached the edge of the stream, he noted that the water level had receded since that day that Patrick and Bree had been prevented from getting near the stream by Beau. Neither child had tried that since. Maybe Brian would bring them back here later in the week. They liked to watch the water and maybe catch some polliwogs. Brian shuddered thinking of what polliwogs grew to be.

He picked up a handful of pebbles and started skipping them across the water. He smiled to himself as he remembered the day at the farm that Hunter had taught him how to do that. Beau lay down in the grass watching the man. When Brian used up his handful of pebbles he sat down on the big rock and stared into the water. Beau immediately came to his side and laid his muzzle across Brian's thigh.

"You like it here too?" Brian asked as he rubbed the top of Beau's head. "It used to be so peaceful around here, my own little piece of Paradise, and now we have arson and fences and guards. Fuck!"

"Brian," Justin said as he came into the clearing by the stream.

"How did you find me?" Brian asked.

"I could tell you that I always know where you are, but I happened to see you walk by the sun porch."

"I like the first part of that statement better."

"I think it's true too," Justin smiled as Beau moved away letting Justin sit down beside the man. Beau knew he wasn't needed any longer and he headed for the house. "That is one smart dog," Justin chuckled as he watched Beau disappear up the path.

"Innately, and also thanks to John's careful training. My brother sure has a way with dogs."

"This arson really bothers you, doesn't it?" Justin asked as he leaned his shoulder against Brian's.

"I thought we were safe here, that nothing could touch us, none of the ills of the world." Brian shook his head.

"We are. This is our place. We can be ourselves and not have to explain to anyone," Justin said softly.

"I thought so, but now we have guards and private detectives."

"Brian, you're the one who hired them. We don't have to have them if you don't want them here," Justin explained patiently.

"I feel safer with them here. I want Emmett's cottage to get finished."

"And after it's done?"

"I don't know. Maybe I should put a huge fence around all of the property and keep the world out."

"Would that make you happy?"

"Shit no!" Brian said.

"Then don't do it. Once Emmett's cottage is completed we get rid of all the guards and fences and go back to the way things were. Okay?"

"Is that what you want?"

"That's what I want," Justin stated. He leaned in and kissed Brian's lips tenderly.

Brian smiled as the kiss ended. "I guess I got a little carried away, huh?"

"Maybe just a smidge," Justin chuckled. "And it's not a bad idea to protect the construction site when nobody's there overnight."

"But…"

"But I liked it here how it was before the fire. I want that back again."

"So do I," Brian agreed. "I'm just afraid that…"

"Don't say it," Justin said putting his finger on Brian's lips to hush him. "We'll be just fine without guards. Just like we were before."

"And we have Beau to protect us," Brian smiled.

"And we have Beau. Let's go home and do something 'normal' with our daughter."

"Sounds like an excellent idea," Brian said as he put his arm over Justin's shoulder and they started up the path.


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 6



"What is it, Bobby? There's been something bothering you for weeks now."

John and Bobby were cuddling in front of their fireplace. It was late Spring but the night air was cool enough for a small fire. Patrick was asleep in his room, Bree with him. Patrick had overindulged, eating far too many cookies he had bought at his school's cake sale. His tummy ached, and Bree felt the need to be his nurse or at least provide him with sympathy after being scolded for not listening to his parents' warning.

"Is it what the investigators found?"

Brian's team of investigators did confirm what the police and fire department suspected, the fires were started by a bunch of high school kids. It first began as a dare then grew into almost a rite of passage. The kids, like most teenagers, thought they could continue to outsmart the adults. However, none of them had ever come up against the likes of Brian Kinney. And it was Brian's suggestion that all the kids involved work toward restitution on The Farm with Bill and Steve's guidance. The teens would spend up to two years at The Farm in lieu of jail time. Schooling would be provided as well as counseling. No one wanted to see the kids scarred by prison and yet they had to learn. It was a good solution.

"I don't know," Bobby answered softly but John was not convinced. John had seen that expression on Bobby's face all too often on Patrick's. He twisted them around on the sofa so that they could face each other.

"Yes, you do know," John whispered back, encouraging his spouse to speak. Then John slipped a couple of fingers under Bobby's chin to raise his face and look into the blue-grey eyes. "Tell me," John murmured. Bobby sighed loudly then took a deep breath.

"Does it bother you?"

"Does what bother me?"

"What your brother does?"

"What does he do besides preventing my life from ever becoming boring?"

"The way he takes over sometimes."

"How does he take over?"

"This thing with the fires..."

"He was right, wasn't he? The perpetrators were caught before they or anyone else could be hurt or more damage done and they'll get the help they need. Maybe their lives won't be ruined."

"It just seems like every time something happens in our lives, Brian's there to fix it or take charge or spring into action."

"Like Rage?" John tried to lighten the moment but Bobby wasn't buying it.

"Don't you resent it?"

"Why would I?"

"But you're..."

"What am I, sweetheart, what am I? Top dog? The alpha male?" Bobby stayed silent but nodded. "Bobby..."

"Don't. Just because you prefer to bottom doesn't mean you take a subservient role to anyone … including Brian."

"When have I ever taken a subservient role?"

"Drew and Emmett's place, it's your company doing the work. He should have consulted with you first before ordering Gordon to put up a fence. And the guards, if you needed guards, you would have ..."

"Bobby, do you really resent Brian or is all this anger because you think I've suffered some injustice in all of this?"

"I don't resent Brian. I love the big goof but sometimes I think he steps on your toes. He makes these grand gestures..."

"I agree with you there. He does have a way of making grand gestures although it's only a few of us who realize how grand they really are, such as his clinic idea. As for him stepping on my toes, well I do have big feet."

"John..."

"All right. Bobby, did it ever occur to you why Gordon and I work so well together?"

"What does he have to do with anything?"

"Just answer the question."

"I don't know. You're the boss, I suppose."

"Not quite, although it may appear that way. We are equal partners."

"On the books..."

"No, not just on the books. Right from the beginning when we formed our company, he's always been my equal partner."

"So why is it called Anderson Construction Company?"

"Because the Smith Construction Company name was already taken and Gordo hated the sound of it."

"But he always calls you boss."

"It's an old joke between us. We've been friends since high school and we both love building and architecture. But Gordo is better with his hands. I love the design aspect of the process. Gordon has a way of looking at any tool and knowing just how to use it. Whereas, I see an empty space and can imagine the finished building. We've always been interchangeable when we have to. I can use a hammer and know my way around power tools. Gordon has been known to draw up plans or change a plan when he has to but we each have our niche and are very well suited for it."

"And he calls you 'boss' because?"

"Gordon and I were working in New York. We hooked up with a major construction company, honing our craft. On one site the foreman got injured, nothing major, but it threatened to stop construction for the day until a substitute could stand in. I had studied the plans. I could see each step of the way in my head. Gordo said I got this look in my eyes and then just started issuing orders. I guess I must have sounded convincing because the men got back to work. We did well that day. By the time the owner of the company had arrived with the new foreman, we had exceeded the projected progress for the day. Over the next few days the owner hung around to supervise but I was in charge, more or less. That's when Gordon began to call me boss. It stuck. We have the best working relationship partners could ever wish for. I think up the designs and he finds a way to make them happen. We're two sides of the same coin. And he's the voice of reason when I get a little full of myself or over the top."

"And what does he get out of it?"

John blushed and began to laugh. "Gordon once told me that if I wasn't around to inspire his creative side, all of his buildings would look like big boring boxes. Functional but boring."

"And Brian?"

"Brian is my brother."

"You know what I mean."

"Brian and I share many of the same traits. You must see how creative he is, how he can visualize the completed project. It's what makes him so great in advertising. And he's able to pick out the right people to work with, those with his vision, so that his company is never stagnant. He knows how to get things done, just like Gordon. I was never good with the books so I have a good accountant and a great lawyer." John smiled at his spouse. "Bobby, I would never presume to tell you how to try a case nor would you ever presume to tell me how to build a house. It's the same with Brian, I would never presume to tell him how to run his business or..."

"How to fix things."

"Or how to fix things. I'm not blinded to the fact that he can go too far at times but that's what he has Justin and us for. We'll keep him in line if necessary but he has the balls to do what we can only dream of. You know that's true, even his oldest friends know that. That's probably why so many people in his past resented him. Maybe that's why Melanie still harbors some resentment. No one ever had the guts to do what Brian did, and still does. He needs to be able to work freely and we keep him grounded and safe. No, Bobby, in answer to your original question, it doesn't bother me. I love the big goof too. And I thank God every day for sending him to us. Just like you said, Baby, it was meant to be. And I'll always be top dog and he knows it too."

"I love you, John."

"Love you too, Bobby." The lovers kissed then snuggled up again. "Babe, you're not angry with Brian, are you?"

"No, love, I can never be angry with the big guy. Annoyed as hell but not really angry. I don't want you to feel slighted. It's like whenever he walks into a room, all eyes turn to him. You're just as beautiful and sexy as he is. I just don't understand it."

"Bobby, we've been together for all this time. Why is this the first I've heard of this? You know what, don't answer that, it doesn't matter. I have no reason to feel slighted. Brian is a natural born ad man. He knows how to package a product. Brian Kinney has been a product for years and even when that product isn't on display, he can't stop being what he is. It would be like asking him to stop breathing or asking Justin to stop seeing the world through his artist eyes. They can't and I wouldn't want them to. I don't envy them, especially Brian. It's an awesome responsibility to be Brian Kinney, to have the world expect you to always be young and beautiful."

"But that's not the real Brian."

"No, it's not, and we're some of the few who truly understand that. So when Brian fucking Kinney enters a room looking like he owns the place, he's just giving them what they want."

"And when John Anderson walks onto a construction site with his hard hat on his head..."

"He's doing exactly what's expected of him and what he was born to do."

"And the Brian that rocks his daughter to sleep or chases away his partner's nightmares?"

"Is the Brian who has so much love in his heart and has finally learned how to give it and accept it in return. And that man deserves our love and our protection."

"And you're the alpha dog, the leader of our pack, the one who will protect the protector."

"Yes."

"Then it's all as it should be."

"Yes," John whispered as he nuzzled Bobby's ear. The lovers snuggled closer then drifted to sleep.

*****

[good boy...big boy...protect...mine...good boy]

"So, Dog, what brings you to this end of the cottage?" Brian arched a brow as he spied Beau entering the kitchen. Justin had gone to Pittsburgh for the day taking Bree with him. Brian had spent most of the morning in Harrisburg at Part Deux, ruffling some feathers, lighting fires under his ad men and generally making a nuisance of himself. Scott took it all in stride and then wowed Brian with a multimillion dollar contract they had just secured in Philadelphia. Part Deux had scooped Vance and with some input from N'rgy, Scott and his team were on their way to developing a killer ad. Brian was duly impressed and then sent on his way.

Beau groaned his reply, sat at Brian's feet, then yawned widely.

"Bored, are we?" Brian asked his big silent friend. "Well, let me get out of this monkey suit then you and me can take a jog down to the new cottage." Beau perked up, appearing to understand Brian. He waited patiently until Brian appeared in the hall and beckoned. Beau was at Brian's side as they went out the sun porch door.

Brian jogged on the well worn path that led to the new cottage as Beau ran and bounced happily around him. The outer walls and roof were complete. The wiring and electrical outlets installed and the inner walls were getting a second coat of spackle. Although John had designed the cottage to mirror his own, after the fire Gordon had taken the liberty of modifying the plans a bit. Instead of a wooden structure, Gordon turned it into stone. It had one main room with the fireplace separating it from the master bedroom. There was a smaller room that could be used as a den or guest bedroom. The feature of the cottage, aside from the double fireplace was the kitchen. It contained a large granite island with lots of counter space, the latest double ovens, and super duper stove with grill. It was a chef's dream kitchen. All it needed was the appliances and the chef. Since the crew was just about finished with the outside, Gordon had arranged for the landscaper to come in. The garden plans included an arbor, hearty apple trees, and perennials and a small greenhouse so that the number one chef could have fresh herbs for his masterpieces anytime he wanted.

"Wow!" Brian exclaimed. This was the second time in the day that he was impressed. Gordon came out to get an additional tool from his truck when he noticed Brian skulking about.

"You like?"

"Yeah, I like."

"Do you think your friends will like it?"

"I think they'll love it. They may never want to leave."

"It's not really designed to be an all year round cottage, although it's been well insulated. Besides your friends have a lot of business in Pittsburgh."

"Yes, they do but they'll be happy for the opportunity to get away when they want. Drew has no intention of giving up their apartment but I think they've developed an appreciation for the country. And with the state of the art kitchen, they can get away and Emmett can still create if he wants to."

"You've thought of everything, haven't you," Gordon said knowingly.

"No, not everything." Brian looked away.

"Brian, no one could have anticipated that those junior arsonists would pick this lane as their next target. You have nothing to be ashamed of. And with your help, it's over."

"I hope so," Brian mumbled.

"Come on, let me show you the inside. I think you'll love what we've done." Gordon guided Brian inside, his face lighting up. Brian was impressed for the third time that day.

*****

"Oh no, not again," John grumbled as he heard Beau making some whiny, whimpering noises out in the sun porch. John got out of bed and quickly pulled on his jeans. Bobby woke up feeling John stir, donned his sweat pants and followed John out. As they came out into the sun porch, Brian and Justin were coming out of their room, also responding to the noise.

"It better not be another fire," Brian cursed.

"No, I don't think so. Look!" Justin pointed out into the garden. In the middle of the garden was a doe with her new fawn standing on its wobbly legs at its mother's side. Beau whimpered.

"It's okay, boy," John reassured the dog. "She won't hurt anything."

"Speak for yourself. My garden is an open buffet for deer," Brian groused. "One nibble and I send Beau out there."

"Brian, that's not very neighborly of you," Bobby commented.

"Being awakened out of a sound sleep at three in the morning does not a good neighbor make." Brian frowned.

"Oh, stop, you big oaf. They're not hurting anything. See, they're leaving." Justin pointed as the deer slowly wandered toward the woods. "There, your precious garden is safe."

"I still say Beau should go take a good look around," Brian proclaimed.

"You're a spoiled brat, do you know that?" John stated but he opened the screen door to let Beau out. Beau patrolled the gardens, sniffed around then ran off in the direction of the new cottage just to make sure everything was okay over there too.

"Great, now what do we do?" Bobby grumbled. "I have court in the morning."

"Go back to bed, Big Red," Brian said sympathetically. "I have nowhere to be in the morning. I'll wait for Beau to come back." Brian made himself comfortable on one of the lounges.

"I'll keep you company," Justin said as he went into their room then returned with a light blanket.

"You guys don't have to do that. He'll come through his doggie door," John explained.

"We know and then he'll come out here to have a snack before he finally settles. Go back to bed." Brian shooed away his brother and brother-in-law. He settled himself down next to Justin who was already falling back to sleep.

"You're sure?" John asked.

"I'm sure. I'll see you both in the morning." Brian yawned then closed his eyes. John and Bobby went back to bed.

Forty-five minutes later, Beau let himself in through his door. He quickly made the rounds of Edna's Treasures. Noting that two of his pack were out in the porch, he gave them a quick sniff. They smelled right so Beau went to his bed. He nuzzled his precious rope of socks, raised his massive head for one last look then went to sleep.

[good boy...big boy...mine...protect...good boy]


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 7



Justin felt something that made him gasp. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at the lump under the sheet.

"Brian," he said in that little boy voice that still made Brian want to eat him.

Brian shoved the sheet down and looked up at his husband. His mouth was full of cock and he didn't want to release it to answer the call. He tried to smile at Justin, but found it difficult with his mouth otherwise occupied. Instead he began to work Justin's dick more decisively. He heard his lover moan as Brian's tugs became more insistent. Brian slid his tongue through the slit before swallowing as much of Justin's member as he could manage. Justin rose up from the bed and let out a small cry before filling Brian's warm mouth with his load of spunk.

Brian swallowed and licked his lips. He crawled up the big brass bed in the porch and leaning on his elbow he studied the face that had come to mean everything to him.

Gradually Justin's breathing slowed down and he opened his eyes, looking up into the hazel ones that were studying him. "What a wake up call!" he said with a smile before kissing Brian gently.

"Anything for my partner," Brian whispered nuzzling Justin's neck.

"Brian, is something wrong?" Justin asked with a frown.

"No, something's right."

"Huh?"

"Mr. 1500 SAT's, I love you."

"You do?"

Brian laughed out loud. "Christ, after all these years, haven't you figured that out?"

"I have. I just wasn't so sure about you," Justin chuckled. "You still have trouble saying it sometimes."

"I do not!"

Justin giggled. "Well, not as much as you used to."

Brian frowned. "Are you happy?" he asked.

"I … of course, I'm happy. What brought this on?"

"Nothing. I … sometimes I wonder how I got lucky enough to find you."

Justin smiled. He liked to hear Brian say things like that. "You know, you big Smoosh, luck had nothing to do with it."

"It didn't?"

"No, tenacity … sheer tenacity on my part."

"Why, you little twat! You can't take all the credit."

"Who says?" Justin laughed before Brian pounced on him and started tickling him unmercifully. Justin shrieked and squirmed as Brian continued to torment him.

Suddenly there was a loud "woof" and Beau's huge head appeared over the side of the bed.

"What do you want, Dog?" Brian demanded as he stopped tickling.

Beau cocked his head to one side and looked at the man. The earlier sounds had made him think something was wrong, but now everything seemed to be the way it should be.

"You thought he was hurting me, didn't you, Beau?" Justin asked. "You were going to take a big bite out of his ass if he was."

Brian looked at his husband and then at the dog. "You fucking better not have any such intentions, Dog," Brian said with his best glare at Beau. "And you stop encouraging him," he told Justin.

"He's the family protector, so you better watch your p's and q's," Justin giggled.

"Dada! Daddy!" Bree called as she raced across the porch from the Morrison-Anderson side of the building.

"Hey, Miss Squirt!" Brian said as he scooped her up and plopped her on top of her daddy.

"Hi, Dada, I helped Patrick. He feels better," she declared.

"We'll have to call you Nurse Briana," Brian said with a smile followed by a kiss to the top of her blond head.

Bree frowned. "No, Dada, I Doctor Briana," the little girl stated emphatically.

"I stand corrected," Brian said as he looked with something akin to awe at the little blond munchkin who most certainly could be a doctor if that's what she chose to do.

"That's right, Bree. Aim for the top," Justin laughed as he kissed his daughter.

Beau barked his approval from the side of the bed. Bree reached out to touch the top of Beau's head. She patted the dog gently.

"You and Beau seem to be getting along better," Brian said.

Bree nodded. "Beau … good dog."

Beau gave a little woof of agreement.

"All right, Dog, we know you're the best," Brian laughed as he gave Beau a good ear scratch.

"You're in an awfully good mood this morning," Justin observed. "Especially for someone who was … supposed to be sleeping in the lounger all night. How did we get into the bed?"

"I carried you over here after you fell asleep. I thought you'd be more comfortable."

Justin grinned. "You are so sweet, Mr. Smoosh."

"Yeah, Dada Smoosh," Bree giggled.

Brian moaned. "Not you too. I have a certain reputation to maintain."

"Too late," Justin giggled just like his daughter.

"Hungry, Daddy," Bree said definitely.

"Some things never change," Brian declared as he picked Bree up and carried her into the house. It was time for the family to get moving.

Beau watched them all disappear into their side of the house. Then it was time for him to go check on his other charges next door.

*****

"Ooof," John let out loudly as Patrick pounced. Patrick was getting way too big to pounce on his father but he decided to do it anyway. "Young man, one of these days you're going to pounce and I'm not going to recover," John commented as he ruffled his son's hair then rolled him onto Bobby's side of the bed. Patrick smiled; he loved hearing how big he was growing. Patrick had enough Kinney genes in him that he was very tall for his age just like his father.

"Where's Poppa?"

"He left early."

"Court?"

"Yup, and if we don't get going you're going to be late for school." John noted the time. The Anderson men got up to face the day.

*****

"Johnny, my man!" Gordon greeted John enthusiastically. "You come to give your seal of approval?" Gordon swept his hand toward the almost completed cottage.

"It has your seal of approval; that's good enough for me," John commented. Gordon gave John a curious look.

"John, what's wrong?" Gordon knew that tone in John's voice.

"Nothing really."

"Johnny, boy, we've known each other for a lotta years. You can't bullshit me. Now what's going on in that thick skull of yours?" They walked over to a load of stones that were slated to be the ends of the picket fence that would surround the cottage, and sat.

"Bobby, got me thinking about stuff," John answered softly.

"Stuff?"

"Yeah, stuff. Me, him, you, Brian, stuff."

"That's a lotta stuff."

"Yeah."

"So, what about us?"

"He thinks Brian takes over too much."

"Well, he is a take charge kinda guy."

"True."

"And this is bad because?"

"Bobby thinks I should be the take charge guy in our family."

"And what do you think?" Gordon asked then thumped John on his head.

"I think I take charge when it counts and Brian does his thing when he has to."

"I think you're right. John, we go back a long way, and it works. If it didn't we wouldn't have been in business together for so long. Don't start trying to fix something that ain't broke."

"I guess so."

"I know so. But I can see why Bobby thinks your brother is stepping on those big feet of yours. Brian can get a little loud when he wants to and he does jump in where others fear to tread but I suspect you're not going to change that."

"Nope, you're right about that."

"Then I don't see a problem. Johnny, my man, you got yourself a great family. A little weird family, a big weird family, like that Debbie woman. But hey, my Betsie's got her Aunt Tildie, ain't no weirder than her, but she's family. And I know how you love your family even the ones you've acquired."

John remained quiet for a while. Before Brian and Justin came into their lives, it was really just John and his mother. Claire was John's only real family. Now John's family appeared to number in the hundreds. He shook his head at that revelation.

"You know something, Gordo, you're right. And Bobby will cope. He loves them just as much as I do."

"No argument there. Come on, big guy, you need to get your hands dirty. That'll put the bloom on your cheeks. You artsy guys, always making mountains out of molehills. A little hard work is all you need. Now move that ass of yours. We have a cottage to finish." Gordon slapped John on the back and the friends went into the cottage.

*****

[good boy...big boy...mine...protect]

Beau was patrolling the grounds. He had gone down to the stream, following Brian and Justin. The late May sun was warm, the air was filled with the sweet scent of flowers and grass. Justin had his sketchpad and pencils. Brian had some contracts Ted had emailed over for him to peruse and approve. They found a soft patch of grass to place down a blanket. Beau sat for a while then went off to harass a few frogs.

Justin was deep into his sketch and Brian had dozed, when a loud yelp startled them to alertness.

"What the fuck was that?" Brian jumped up to look around.

"I don't know," Justin answered looking around for Beau. "Beau! Here, boy!" They could hear Beau whimpering but they couldn't see him.

"Damn, where is that dog?" Brian muttered as he walked toward the noise. "Beau, where are you, boy?" They followed the noise to where the stream became narrow and very rocky.

"Beau, where are you? Beau? Brian! Look, there he is!" Justin called over his shoulder then sprinted toward the dog.

"Justin! Slow down, it's very slippery over there." Justin slowed his pace and waited for Brian. Beau had slipped while chasing a bullfrog. His back paw had gotten caught in between some rocks. He was panicking. His paw was cut and it hurt.

As the men approached, Beau growled, baring his teeth.

"Easy, boy, we're not going to hurt you," Justin said softly but Beau's growls got louder. Foam was accumulating around his mouth.

"Justin, stay back, he might bite you," Brian warned.

"No, Bri, Beau wouldn't do that," Justin said as he moved closer to the dog. Beau growled and snarled louder in warning. Justin jumped back.

"Justin, stay back. Go get me the blanket then come back here but very slowly." Justin's eyes grew wide. He had little experience with dogs especially one as big and fierce as Beau. He did what Brian instructed.

Brian crept slowly toward Beau, speaking softly to the frightened dog. He waited until Justin returned with the blanket. With blanket in hand, Brian stood up, steeled himself then spoke to Beau in John's commanding voice.

"Beau! Quiet! Down!" Beau hushed, his ears went back and he laid down as best as he could on the rocks. Brian draped the blanket around the frightened dog and over his eyes. "Justin, come here and dig out Beau's foot." Justin quickly did what Brian asked as Brian kept a firm hand on Beau. When Beau was free, Brian mustered up all of his strength to lift the large dog up and over to steady ground.

"Jus, run up ahead, call for John then get your Jeep. We have to take Beau to the vet." Justin nodded then ran. By the time Brian got Beau to the house John was there. Justin had brought his Cherokee as close to the path as possible. John helped Brian get Beau into the backseat. The brothers had a firm grip on the dog as Justin drove to the vet with John's direction.

"He's fine," Dr. Baker announced to the relief of the brothers and Justin. "He took a couple of stitches and I gave him something to calm him and help with the pain. You can take him home, but he needs to rest and stay calm. Give him these antibiotics. The cut wasn't deep but it was dirty. I cleaned it up but we don't want to take any chances on infection. He lost a little blood, so make sure he eats well. You can give him some meat for the extra protein. Bring him back in a week and I'll remove the sutures. It could have been a lot worse, but you boys did the right thing." The vet handed John a large plastic cone ring for Beau's neck.

"Put this on him if he starts to pick at the sutures. I don't want him to rip them out. I left it off for now. No need to get Beau upset for nothing." The boys thanked the vet then left with the medicine and instructions. They got Beau back into the Jeep, and again Justin drove. John and Brian were in the back with Beau.

When they arrived back home, John settled the groggy dog into his bed. He sat on the floor next to the sleeping dog, gently petting Beau's head and back. Justin went to clean up then put on a pot of coffee. When he returned to the porch, John was still on the floor with Brian sitting next to him. Justin decided to give the brothers a little space. He went back to the stream to get his sketchbook and the papers they had left behind in their rush.

"You angry with me?" Brian asked his brother, fearing that John would think Beau's injury was his fault.

"Angry?" John looked up with an incredulous look. "Why would I be angry?"

"I should have looked out for him," Brian said pensively.

"Brian, he's a dog and he's still a puppy, even if he's as big as a pony. Of course I'm not angry at you. If it wasn't for your quick thinking, Beau's injury could have been a lot worse."

Brian let out the breath he was holding. "I...I wasn't sure what to do."

"You did just fine, thank you. And if Beau was awake he'd thank you too." John reached up to ruffle Brian's hair. It was John's way of showing his brother just how much he loved him. Brian leaned into the touch. He consciously realized just how much he loved John and how much John's approval meant to him.

"I love the fleabitten mutt too," Brian whispered looking so much like the young boy John had rescued from the stream when they were boys. John smiled warmly.

"I know you do and Beau knows it too." The brothers settled back on the hard floor to watch Beau sleep.

*****

"Thanks, Rachel. I'll be over later with their clothes. Beau's fine but I think the kids would overwhelm him right now. He's pretty drugged up. Yeah, John and Brian are fine too. It's funny, John grew up with dogs so I can understand him getting all emotional but Brian is just as worried as John. Yeah, you're right; those two do have an awful lot in common. Thanks. Okay, a sleepover sounds good to me. Okay, see you later. Bye."

Justin hung up the phone. He had asked Rachel to pick up Patrick from school. Bree had gone over earlier in the day before the drama with Beau to keep Rachel company and to help bake cakes for Rachel's church cake sale, although Justin wasn't sure how much help a four year old would be. But Rachel thought Bree would have fun. Bree had a way with pink icing.

Justin kept the Kinney brothers supplied with coffee and food during their vigil with Beau. He had also left a message for Bobby. Edna's Treasures was quiet, for now.

*****

"How's Beau doing?" Bobby asked Justin. Bobby parked his car on the lane, deciding to come in through the Kinney/Taylor end of the conjoined cottages.

"Much better, he's more alert now. The medicine the vet gave him kept him asleep for a long time. John and Brian are still in the porch taking turns with him," Justin replied. He had started dinner. At some point, John and Brian switched places so that they could shower and put on clean clothes. They had gotten muddy when they carried the large dog. "John will be happy to see you."

"What happened?"

Justin poured them both some coffee and then relayed what had happened earlier in the day. "It's a good thing you guys were here. Beau couldn't have been in better hands," Bobby commented.

"You don't blame us, do you?" Justin had his own misgivings.

"Blame you? Why would I blame you? It was an accident. I never had a dog as big or as daring as Beau, but I did have a dog and cats when I was growing up. They can get into everything. Beau's still a puppy and a very curious one. He's going to get into trouble now and then. It could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for Brian's quick thinking."

"That's what the vet said."

"There, see? He would know. I'll check on them. After I change I'll help you with dinner."

"You going to make salad?"

"I can do that," Bobby said with a sunny smile. Justin beamed back then returned to his stove.

Bobby walked toward his end of the cottage. He spied the brothers sitting on the floor leaning on each other and close to Beau. Their eyes were closed; they had dozed off. Beau raised his head, his tail swished slowly back and forth. Bobby raised a finger to his lips, shushing the dog then motioned to Beau to stay. Beau laid his head back down. Bobby smiled then entered his end of the house. He knew the relationship between the brothers was just as it should be.




Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 8



"Auntie Rachel, where's Patrick?" Bree asked from her booster seat in the back of Rachel's car.

"He should be out any minute, Bree," Rachel said as she heard the bell sounding the end of the school day.

"There he is!" Bree squealed spying her cousin coming out of the building.

Rachel stepped out of the car and called to Patrick. He came over to the vehicle.

"Hi, Aunt Rachel. How come you're here?"

"You and Bree are going to have a sleepover at my house tonight," Rachel explained.

"We are? We've never done that before," Patrick said as he got into his seat next to Briana. "Hi, Bree."

"Hi, Patrick. Auntie Rachel and me made pink cakes today," Bree said with a big smile for her cousin. "I made one special for you."

"Thanks," Patrick replied as he buckled his seat belt.

"But only one cupcake for you, young man. We don't want any more tummy aches," Rachel warned.

"Okay," Patrick agreed. He didn't want any tummy aches either.

On the way to Rachel's Patrick told them about what he had learned in school. Bree listened attentively to everything her cousin described. She would ask her teachers at her school if she could do the same things.

Once they were inside the house, Rachel gave them each a snack of carrots and cheese. She wanted to save Bree's cupcake for dessert with dinner.

"How come we're over here tonight?" Patrick asked his aunt.

"Your dads had some things to do tonight, so I volunteered to have you stay here."

"But what about Beau? He might be lonely without us," Patrick said.

"Yeah," Bree agreed.

"I'm sure your fathers will look after Beau. He'll be fine," Rachel told the children. She hoped Beau was doing okay and that he would be fine by the time the children went home.

"Why don't you have a dog, Auntie Rachel?" Bree asked.

"Um … we used to when the girls were younger, but we haven't had a pet for a few years."

"Why not?"

"We got busy, and after Pepper … died, we … um … we never got another dog."

"Pepper died?" Bree asked with big eyes. She didn't really know what "died" meant but she had heard the word once or twice and it scared her.

"Yes, Bree," Rachel said softly. She didn't like the direction this conversation was going.

"Is Beau going to die?" Bree asked as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Not for a very long time," Rachel said taking hold of Bree's hand. "Not for a very long time."

"'Kay," Bree said feeling a little better.

"Aunt Rachel, what are we having for dinner?" Patrick asked as he finished his snack. He seemed to be hungry all the time. That's what had got him into the tummy problems in the first place.

"I'm making chicken and dumplings," Rachel said, getting back to her work on dinner.

"Yum," Patrick replied.

"Yum," Bree agreed.

Rachel smiled. "I think you must be going through another growth spurt," Rachel told Patrick.

"What a growth spurt?" Bree wanted to know.

Rachel sighed. She had forgotten how inquisitive children of this age could be. "It just means that Patrick is growing very rapidly."

Bree frowned. "Me too."

"No, you're not," Patrick told her.

Bree frowned harder. She had been hoping she would catch up to Patrick in size, but this didn't sound promising. "I grow big," Bree stated, remembering that her fathers were always telling her she was getting to be such a big girl.

"I'll always be taller than you," Patrick told her. "And older and…"

"Patrick, that's enough," Rachel said trying to diffuse the impending fight.

"Will not," Bree said fighting back more tears. "I want to go home, Auntie Rachel."

"Um, Bree, Patrick won't say anything more like that, will you, Patrick?" Rachel said glaring at the boy.

"Sorry," Patrick said sheepishly.

"Home," Bree said as a tear ran down her cheek.

Rachel was wondering what she could do about Bree's request when Michelle came in from school with her father. "Hey, company!" she said enthusiastically eyeing the kids. "Want to come outside and throw a ball around?"

Patrick perked up and Bree stopped any more tears from falling.

The idea of playing outside made Bree think things might be all right at Auntie Rachel's. Bree slid off her chair. "I play," she said.

"Me too," Patrick added.

Bree smiled to herself. She had beat her cousin to the punch on that one. The children all ran outside to play while Rachel breathed a sigh of relief.

*****

"So do you think Beau needs the cone of silence?" Bobby asked John, Justin and Brian. Justin had no idea what Bobby was talking about. Brian arched a brow then smirked. John, however, nearly busted a gut laughing. They were all relaxing on the sun porch after dinner.

"How do you know about the cone of silence? You weren't even born yet."

"Yeah, well, I have a thing for old sitcoms," Bobby said as he blushed. When he was at college, the old TV classics were cheaper to rent than the more popular shows and movies. "Besides, John, you're not that much older than me." Bobby smiled smugly. Brian cracked up at the exchange between his brother and partner.

"What? What? What's the cone of silence and what are you guys talking about?" Justin was getting frustrated. He had no idea what the cone of silence was.

"Brian, I'm surprised you know what we're talking about. You're not that much older than Bobby," John commented.

"Ah, but guess what re-runs were popular at Debbie's house?" Brian winked at John. They all started laughing except for Justin who was getting even more annoyed at all the cackling.

"Will somebody let me in on the joke," Justin demanded putting his hands on his hips.

"John, do you have any tapes or DVD's we can show the youngun?" Brian asked before Justin could explode.

"I think I may be able to accommodate you," John said as he disappeared into his end of the cottage. After a few minutes, John called out, "I found it! Come on in."

Bobby and Justin went in. Brian decided that Beau should join them. He didn't want to leave him out in the porch unsupervised nor did he want to put the ring cone on unless it was really necessary.

"Come with me, Dog," Brian said softly then helped Beau to his feet and walked slowly beside him. Beau could walk but he favored his hind leg a bit so someone stayed with him when he went for his walks.

A few hours and several beers later, the boys had laughed themselves silly watching the old 'Get Smart' series. And now Justin got the joke about the cone of silence.

"Come on, '99', let's take out Beau then go to bed. I'm sure the kids will be breaking the doors down in the morning," Brian said as he pushed Justin off his lap.

"No, Bri, you did enough caring for Beau today," Bobby stated. "We'll walk him then he can spend the night with us. John has to change his bandage in the morning."

John nodded in agreement. "Bobby's right. I want to check out Beau's foot before the kids come back," John added.

"Sounds like a plan. Come and get me if you need help," Brian offered then he got down on his knees to give Beau a hug. "You're one good dog, Beau."

Later on, the cottage was settled. John had brought Beau's bed into their room. Beau laid down at the foot of their bed, his rope of socks securely tucked under his chin.

[good boy...warm...safe...mine...sleep...good boy]

*****

"Dada! Daddy!" Bree squealed as she barreled through the front door of Edna's Treasures. The four adults were sitting in the sun porch drinking coffee and finishing breakfast. Beau lay on his bed in a spot of sun. John had moved it back out to the porch when Beau awoke in the morning. His foot was better and he was able to put some pressure on it when he walked. It was healing nicely and without the cone of silence.

"Hey, Squirt! You're home," Brian laughed as Bree flung herself into his arms.

"Missed you, Dada!" she called before heading for her other father for a kiss and a hug.

"I missed you too."

Beau raised his head and watched the goings-on. He saw Patrick come in and kiss his fathers. Everything seemed to be as it should. He dropped his head back onto his bed with his rope of socks securely under his chin.

"Did you have fun with Auntie Rachel?" Justin asked.

Bree nodded. "And Michelle! She showed me how to catch a ball. Love you, Daddy." Bree crawled up onto Justin's lap.

"If you could call that catching," Patrick laughed.

"Bree did very well for her first time," Rachel said as she came into the sun porch. She had walked the children over, but they had raced to the front door while she carried the bags with their clothes and other items.

"Yeah, not bad," Patrick admitted.

Bree beamed. "I play baseball," she declared.

"I thought you were going to be a doctor," Brian chuckled.

"Doctor and baseball!"

"Okay, Squirt. Whatever you want." Brian shook his head at his daughter's enthusiasm.

"Where's Beau, Dad?" Patrick asked. He was used to having Beau rush up to greet him and lick his face.

"Beau had a little accident yesterday," John admitted. "But he's fine."

"Beau hurt?" Bree asked as she slid down from Justin's lap. She wanted to go pet Beau and make it all better. She didn't want him to die like Pepper.

"Whoa, Squirt," Brian said as he grabbed her little arm. "Beau's doing good but he has a sore paw. You have to be very gentle and calm around him. Can you do that?"

"Yes, Dada."

"I'll be careful too," Patrick promised as he walked slowly across the porch. "Hey, Beau. You okay? I missed you last night," Patrick said as he knelt beside the big dog and ran his hand down Beau's back. The big tail swished slowly.

"Love you, Beau," Bree said as she gently placed her arms around the pup's neck and kissed the top of his head.

The pup raised his head and licked all over Bree's little face. She giggled in delight. Then he turned his attention to Patrick and did the same thing.

"See, he's doing fine," John said as he stood behind the children. "You just need to be careful with him for the next couple of days.

"We will, Dad," Patrick promised.

Bree nodded in agreement. "I look after you, Beau," she said solemnly.

"Time for school, Patrick," John said. Patrick got up to go get his book bag.

"I stay home and help Beau," Bree declared.

"I think that can be arranged, Squirt," Brian told her.

"Good," she said as she laid her forehead against Beau's.

*****

"Daddy, can I have a treat for Beau?" Bree asked as she appeared beside Justin who was painting on the sun porch.

"Didn't you already give him two?"

Bree scuffed the toe of her pink sneaker on the floor and batted her eyes at her father. "That was a long, very long, time ago. He needs another one."

"He does, does he?" Justin laughed as he dropped his paintbrush into the cleansing fluid. "All right, let's go get him one."

Bree took her father's hand and they walked into the kitchen. Brian was getting a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Did you finally come up for air?" Justin asked.

Brian snorted. "I had work to do."

"I know, but I told you to go into Kinnetik if you wanted."

"I didn't want. I'm happy right here."

"Good, Dada," Bree said waiting expectantly for the treat.

"And how is your patient doing, Doctor Briana?" Brian asked.

"Good. He mostly sleeps, but I give him treats to make him better."

"You do?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow.

"John gave me a bag of treats that Beau could have," Justin said hastily. He knew how protective Brian was of the pup.

"Treat, Daddy," Bree said impatiently.

"Here ya go," Justin replied handing her the doggie treat. She raced out to the sun porch to feed it to Beau. "She certainly has the maternal care instinct."

"Yeah," Brian said making a bit of a face.

"Now, now," Justin clucked. "It only took Joan, what, sixty some years to find hers."

Brian shook his head. "I guess late is better than never."

"You bet it is," Justin said standing on his tiptoes to kiss Brian's cheek.

"Beau says thank you," Bree giggled as she reappeared from the porch.

"Beau talks now?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.

"Sure, silly Dada," Bree said.

"If you say so, Squirt."

"Dada, Auntie Rachel said Pepper died. What does 'died' mean?"

"Who's Pepper?" Brian asked hoping that might deflect Bree's question.

"Auntie Rachel's doggie."

"Oh."

"What does 'died' mean?"

Brian sighed. Bree was nothing if not persistent, just like her father. "It means you cease to exist," Brian said simply. He lifted Bree onto his knee as he sat down at the kitchen table. He had a feeling this might be a complicated discussion.

Bree frowned. "Is Beau going to cease to exist?" Bree asked parroting Brian's words.

"No, Squirt, not for a very long time."

"But he will? Do all doggies die?"

"Everyone dies eventually," Brian admitted. He didn't like thinking about death and getting older.

"No, not you, Dada," Bree protested.

"Yes, even me, sweetheart. Everyone dies."

"No," Bree said again. "Don't die." She patted Brian's face from her perch on his knee. Her blue eyes stared into Brian's hazel ones.

"I have no intention of dying," Brian stated. "You can look after me if I get sick. How's that?"

"I look after you good," Bree told him.

"I know you will," Brian said kissing the top of the blond head.

"Enough of this," Justin said. "I need to get back to work on my painting. And I think Beau has earned another treat." He fished another one out of the box and handed it to Bree. She slithered down from her father's lap and headed for the sun porch.

"Thanks," Brian said to his husband.

"I thought that was getting a little too maudlin."

"She does ask the damnedest questions, doesn't she?"

"Of course, she does. She's our daughter. What else would you expect?"

"Nothing else. She's just perfect the way she is."

"You got that right," Justin said as he slid into Bree's spot on Brian's lap and gave his husband a long kiss.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 9



"John!" Bobby called out from his car window over to his spouse. John, Gordon and their crew were adding the finishing touches to the cottage. The landscapers were done; all that was left was to install the picket fence. The stone fence posts were already in place. Bobby drove down the lane instead of walking. He brought a large cooler of bottled water and soda for the men. It was late June and very warm.

"Hey, Babe," John smiled and waved at Bobby. It took only a few long strides to get to Bobby's car. John stuck his head into the window to give Bobby a big wet kiss. Bobby laughed, blushed, then pushed John's face out of the window.

"Not in front of the men, John," Bobby groused good naturedly. John chuckled as he heard Gordon and the work crew simultaneously all say, "Awwww!" Bobby's blush deepened. John and Bobby brought the cooler of beverages to the men.

"This is so beautiful," Bobby gushed. "You guys did a fabulous job." Bobby sounded a bit too much like one of the intended occupants of the new cottage. "When does the furniture arrive?"

"Next Tuesday," John replied as he swiped his brow with a cold bottle of water.

"It's going to seem weird not having a Fourth of July shindig. We've hosted one for years now," Bobby commented.

"True. Danny deciding to throw one of his own really worked in our favor. Most of the gang will be there on Sunday. We can have a quiet one here on Monday, just us and the crew, of course."

The plan was to keep Emmett away from Edna's Treasures and Brian's private lane until the new cottage was complete. Drew had made several trips to the cottage on the sly, in order to get a feel for the place and order the furniture he felt sure Emmett would approve of. It would be Brian's job to lure Emmett up to the cottage when Drew gave him the word. Danny hosting his first family holiday barbecue was fortuitous. John and Brian decided to have a smaller get together for the 'country' relatives and for Gordon and company. The number one work crew of Anderson Construction hustled to get the cottage done in time so that Emmett and Drew could enjoy most of the summer there if they chose.

Soon break time was over. John, Gordon and their men got back to work. Bobby went back to Edna's Treasures.

*****

"Hey, thought I'd find you here," John said softly to Brian. Brian and Beau had gone for a long walk in the moonlight and wound up at the new cottage. John patted his chest and Beau rose up on his hind legs to greet John. Beau's paw had healed well.

"It's beautiful, John. He'll love it. I can almost hear the squealing. Even the garden is gorgeous." Brian laughed at himself.

"What?"

"Emmett isn't here yet and I'm beginning to sound like him already." Brian smirked then shook his head. John chuckled before embracing his brother.

"You did good, little brother. Emmett is going to love it up here."

"We did good. I just bought up the land, with your help, of course. It was your design, your crew's workmanship that made this ton of rocks into a home. And the garden, I think I'm jealous."

"You shouldn't be. You designed this garden and instructed the landscaper on what plants to use. The greenhouse is genius. Who knew that Brian Kinney had such a green thumb?"

"Not me, that's for sure. Emmett's been a good friend, and Drew has been an asset to Kinnetik. Drew has made Emmett so happy. They deserve this." The brothers remained quiet for a while. The night air was filled with the quiet sounds of crickets, distant frogs and the rustling of leaves. Brian inhaled deeply. "Smell that." John inhaled. "That's roses and lavender, also fresh mint. Listen, that's the bamboo we planted along the fence. It's a soothing sound."

"You did your homework."

Brian shrugged. "Drew asked for my opinion; I gave it. He's been a little concerned about Emmett lately. Drew is hoping that Emmett will take some time off to relax."

"Burning the candle at both ends?"

"More like burning the pastry dough. Emmett's been at this for a long time now. He needs to hire some good people. After Drew and Emmett celebrate their new home, I promised Drew to help him convince Emmett to hire reliable full time associates. I have a list of applicants. Emmett's getting too old to do this one man act."

"Don't let him hear you call him old."

"He's not old, not like you, big brother," Brian snarked. John snorted. "But he's a highly successful business owner. Apparently, doing the catering for Molly's wedding has brought Emmett closer to the elite. As a result, we have one exhausted fairy godmother. He spends so much time sending us Cinderellas to the ball that he forgets to take care of himself."

"Then we'll remind him. Come on, little bro, let's get back to the house before they send out a search party. I have more 'Get Smart' DVD's." John waggled his eyebrows.

"Got any 'Monty Python'?"

"And now for something completely different..."

"The Larch." The laughter of the brothers Kinney wafted through the air.

*****

"Patrick, come and play with me in the playhouse?" Bree asked batting her lashes at her cousin.

"No, that playhouse is dumb. I'm going outside to play with Beau," Patrick declared.

"Me too," Bree said as Patrick headed for the door.

"No, you can't come. You're just a dumb girl."

"No I not."

"Yes you are. All girls are dumb," Patrick stated as he and Beau went out the sun porch door. He slammed the door behind him.

"Patrick," Bree whimpered. She didn't know why Patrick didn't like her anymore. It seemed like everything she did lately was bad in Patrick's eyes. He said she couldn't catch a ball and couldn't draw a proper rainbow. It seemed like he didn't think she could do anything. And now he called her dumb. The first tears trailed down her cheeks. She turned to run to her fathers only to find her Uncle John standing behind her.

"What's the matter, little lady?" he asked gently, seeing the tears.

Bree gulped back more tears and managed to say, "Patrick."

"Was that him slamming the door just now?"

Bree nodded. "He said I'm dumb."

"He did what?" John asked. The look on his face told Bree that her uncle was not happy.

"He said I'm dumb, all girls are dumb. I not dumb."

"You certainly aren't, princess. How would you like me to take you over to the swing and push you way up high? Would you like that?"

"Yes," Bree said nodding her head.

"Okay, then let's wipe away these tears," John said grabbing a tissue and wiping Bree's face. He held it over her nose for her to blow. "Good girl."

"Take Muñequita too?" Bree asked picking up her dolly.

"Sure thing. Muñequita might like a ride on the swing too." John took Bree's hand and they went outside.

Patrick was over at one side of the yard throwing a stick for Beau to retrieve. He ran over when he saw his father and Bree come out of the house. "Hey, Dad," he said ignoring Bree. John kept walking towards the swing, his hand firmly holding onto Bree's. "Dad, where are you going?"

"I'm giving Bree a push on the swing," John said abruptly.

"Me too."

"'Fraid not, Sonny Boy. I promised Bree."

"But Dad…"

"Go play with Beau and I'll play with the dumb girls," John said making it clear that he was repeating Patrick's words back to him.

"Dad?"

"You heard me. Bree and I are playing on the swing."

Patrick watched his father lead Bree over to the swing and lift her and her doll into the seat. John made sure that Muñequita was firmly tucked in beside Bree so that she wouldn't fall. Soon John had Bree and Muñequita soaring high much to the delight of the little girl. Her squeals of glee filled the air. Patrick watched and listened until he couldn't stand it anymore. He ran over to his father.

"Dad?"

"What is it, Patrick?" John asked letting his annoyance with his son come through clearly in his voice.

Patrick looked at his father. He knew something was wrong. His father didn't use that tone with him often, but when he did, it usually meant that he was in big trouble. He hesitated and then decided to act like nothing was out of the ordinary. Maybe the problem would go away. "Um, I wondered if you you'd push me on the swing … when you're done with Bree."

"Since you ask so nicely," John replied. "I think that can be arranged."

Patrick smiled. Everything seemed to be all right. His father's voice sounded normal that time. He waited patiently as John continued to push Bree and make her squeal. After a few minutes John stopped pushing the swing and gradually the arc of its rise descended.

"Did you have fun, Bree?" John asked.

"Yes, Unca John." She smiled sweetly as he lifted her from the seat of the swing and set her on the ground. He made sure Muñequita made it safely into her arms.

"Run inside and get a drink from your father, princess," John instructed.

Bree reached up and tugged at John's arm until he bent down so she could kiss him. "'Kay, Unca John., thank you." She gave Patrick a Kinney death glare before running into the sun porch.

Patrick was already sitting on the swing by the time John sent Bree off to the house. John turned to face his son.

"Ready, Dad," Patrick said innocently.

"We have something to talk about before I push you on the swing," John replied very seriously.

"We do?" Patrick asked with a frown.

"Why did you call Bree dumb?"

"I didn't…"

"Don't lie, Patrick. That will only make things worse. Why did you say that?"

"Because girls are dumb," Patrick declared.

"And when did you decide that?"

"All the boys at school think girls are dumb."

"Does that make it so?" John asked, appalled at what his son was saying to him.

"But … that's what they say. It must be true, and I don't want to hang around dumb girls."

"I'm going to tell you something very important, son," John said solemnly. "I want you to listen very carefully. Can you do that?"

"Yes, Dad."

"There will be a lot of people in this world who will try to tell you what you should think or feel about a lot of things. They don't always know what's right or true. You have to decide those things for yourself, and not let the crowd mentality influence you."

Patrick frowned. "I'm not sure what you mean, Dad."

"You love Bree, don't you?"

"Sure. I guess."

"Did you want to hurt her?"

"Gee, no, I didn't want to hurt her. It's just that she follows me around all the time and tries to do everything I do. She's not very good at most of it. She's a pest."

"You did hurt her, Patrick. She was crying when I found her in the sun porch."

"Oh?" Patrick said, the light beginning to dawn. "Sorry."

"It's Bree that you need to say sorry to."

"Okay, I will. I didn't mean…"

"You may not have meant to hurt her, but you did. Sometimes you need to think about how your words will affect someone, before you say them."

"Okay, Dad," Patrick agreed. He was sorry for hurting his cousin, but that didn't make her any less of a pest. Girls were dumb.

"Why do you think Bree follows you around all the time, Patrick?" John asked.

"She's a pest."

John shook his head. Obviously he wasn't getting through to his son. "She follows you around because she looks up to you, Son. She tries to do everything that you do because she wants to be just like you."

"But she's a girl."

"So?"

"She can't be just like me, if she's a girl," Patrick stated.

"Do you like to do things with Gus?" John asked.

"Yeah, Gus is great. He's a boy."

"He's also ten years older than you."

Patrick frowned. "Yeah?"

"You're older than Bree. She looks up to you, like you look up to Gus."

"But…"

"There is no but. Bree counts on you to teach her things. Why do you think she does everything you do? She wants to be with you and learn from you, Son. You hurt her feelings today."

"But sometimes I don't like her hanging around. She's not very good at catching a ball."

John sighed. "She's also two years younger than you. Two years ago, you weren't very good at throwing or catching a ball."

"I wasn't?" Patrick asked in surprise. It seemed like he had always known how to throw a ball and catch it, not like Bree who only caught it about half the times.

"And do you remember who helped you learn to catch and throw?"

"You and Poppa."

"And Gus."

"Yeah."

"Well, I'd like to see you help Bree instead of criticize her all the time. Do you think you can do that?"

"I guess so," Patrick replied. "But do I have to help her all the time?"

"Of course not," John smiled. "But I don't want you telling her that she can't ever play with you either."

"Okay, Dad."

"Bree will be starting at your school before you know it, and you will need to look out for her."

"I will?"

"If you're the good kid I know you are, you will," John said with a smile at his son.

Patrick smiled back. "I can do that."

"I know you can."

"Sorry, Dad."

"Don't forget to tell Bree that."

"I won't."

"Now, how about that swing?"

*****

"Bree?" Patrick came into Briana's room to apologize or at least to find out if the girl was still speaking to him. After their altercation, Bree spent the remainder of the day avoiding her cousin and supposed best friend. It was the hardest thing she had ever done so far in her short life. She loved Patrick in spite of the hurt she felt. He was her hero. Bree looked up to him just like she looked up to Unca John and Unca Bobby. But now she was feeling weird about Patrick. If Briana was older she would have recognized the emotion as betrayal.

"Yeah," Bree replied coolly.

"I'm sorry," Patrick said apologetically. Bree remained silent. Somehow, sorry just wasn't enough.

"Can I stay here and play with you?" Bree wanted to say yes, but the word wouldn't come out so she said nothing. Bree's hands were occupied with her grey bunny.

"Maybe we can go to the playhouse later?" Patrick asked hopefully. Bree shrugged then turned away. Patrick had never been rejected like this before. He stood with his mouth gaping open wide then he felt tears beginning to well up. He quietly slipped out of Bree's room then walked back to his side of Edna's Treasures.

The adults were relaxing in the sun porch. John and Justin filled in their partners about what had transpired earlier between Bree and Patrick. They all watched as a very dejected Patrick walked past then disappeared into his side of the house. Both children had been very quiet during dinner, not sitting near each other or looking at each other. The adults were not quite sure how to help.

"I feel so helpless," Bobby said sadly.

"We should find a way of bringing them together," Justin said confidently.

"WE should let them work it out for themselves," Brian said softly. John said nothing but inwardly he agreed with Brian.

"But Brian..." Justin started to protest.

"No, Sunshine, this is something they need to settle on their own without interference."

"How can you say that? They're babies; they don't know what's good for them."

"You're right, they don't and neither do we. What I do know is that interference and misunderstanding nearly drove us apart, permanently."

Justin was becoming angry, not understanding Brian's reluctance to step in and force the children to come to an understanding. "Brian, you are so wrong," Justin spat as Brian pulled his hesitant lover onto his lap.

"Then sue me," Brian snarked before he changed his tone. "Justin, give them time to work it out. If we're still in the middle of the big freeze by lunchtime tomorrow then we'll step in. But for now, leave them be."

"Brian, it hurts seeing them angry at each other."

"I know that, Jus. And sooner or later they'll experience more hurt and we won't always be there to help. Just until lunch, please, for me."

"Okay, just until lunch and not a second more," Justin acquiesced. "I need to paint," he announced as he removed himself from Brian's comfortable lap. He stomped to the studio side of the porch, adjusted the lights, put a canvas on an easel and began to prepare it.

Bobby was just as frustrated as Justin at the awkward turn of events. He pushed himself off his seat and went outside to the back of his end of the house. Along with the swing that John had put up, there was a pitching net. Bobby had dozens of baseballs that he kept in buckets. When he felt the need to vent, he'd grab his old baseball glove, a bucket of balls and start throwing.

"Was I wrong?" Brian asked John as he watched Justin slap gobs of paint angrily onto his canvas then slice into it with a palette knife. John shook his head then motioned for his brother to follow him outside. Beau trotted along behind them as they walked on the path toward the stream.


Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 10



"No, you weren't wrong," John said reassuringly to Brian as they slowly walked the path to the stream. The sun was getting low but they knew the path by heart. There was just enough light filtering down through the trees. "This isn't a matter of life or death; it's just a stupid kiddie argument. I'm more upset that Patrick was that easily swayed by so called popular opinion. I thought we taught him better than that."

"John, you did and still are. He's a boy and you know that until they reach 'that age,'..." Brian said while making quotes in the air with his fingers, "he's going to think that girls are dumb and icky. When the hormones kick in Patrick will be singing a different tune."

"Oh great, make my hair go grey, why doncha," John groused.

"Yeah, well, you're one of the few men I know who looks good with grey hair."

"Brian, don't be flippant. What happens if Patrick and Bree don't get their act together before lunch? How do we deal with it then?"

"How will you deal the next time he comes home from school saying that fags go against God and country?"

"Where the fuck did that come from?!"

"John, Bree goes to school in September. We all may be faced with children who come home to us and question why they don't have a normal family."

"Brian, this may come as a shock to you but the only one around here who grew up with a so called normal family is Bobby. You, me and Justin don't count."

"Then we better perfect our constructive argument skills because not only are our kids smart, just look who they have as parents."

"Oh fuck!" John wore a horrified expression as Brian nodded. Just then Beau barked. He had found a frog and began to chase it along the edge of the stream.

"John, let's go back to the house before that dog brings back a slimy friend. I think I can use a drink."

"Good idea, I can use one too." The brothers walked back to the house.

The next morning, Brian woke up early to cook up one of his massive breakfasts. He figured they might as well start the day off right. Brian wasn't sure if it was all going to go to hell in a hand basket fast. Brian was flipping pancakes when Justin joined him in the kitchen.

"Morning," Justin said to Brian with a kiss. Justin lit the back burner under the kettle for his tea. "Is Bree awake?" Justin asked as he snagged a piece of bacon.

"Not yet but she should be soon. She didn't eat that well last night, neither of them did. She has your stomach. She'll be out here soon." Brian smirked at Justin who rolled his eyes. John and Bobby strode into the kitchen.

"Have you seen Patrick and Beau?" John asked with concern in his voice.

"No, we haven't seen either of them," Justin answered. "You?"

"Patrick wasn't in his room," Bobby said. "I thought Beau was over here."

"Maybe he's out on patrol," Justin offered.

Brian turned off the burners, placing the cooked food on warming plates. "Let's go," Brian suggested. The dads went to Briana's room.

Brian carefully opened the little girl's door. Her shades were up, the morning sun lighting the room with a golden glow. On her little table were the remains of a midnight snack, empty juice boxes and homemade oatmeal cookies that Rachel had sent over. The juice boxes came from John and Bobby's refrigerator, the cookies from Brian and Justin's cookie jar. Brian knew that Bree couldn't reach the jar without help. He suspected the help came from Patrick.

The children were cuddled together on Bree's bed. Beau was sprawled across the bed at the foot. Beau looked up, swished his tail then laid his head back down with a loud sigh. The fathers backed out of the room as quietly as they entered, smiling. They followed Brian back to the kitchen. Working in concert, the men plated up breakfast, taking it to the sun porch to enjoy it. By ten-thirty, full bladders and empty stomachs awakened the children. The dads got the kids cleaned up and settled at the porch table. Beau, seeing that all was right again with his pack, went out for a long walk.

*****

"Squirt, I want to check out the garden at the new cottage, will you go with me?"

"Yes, Dada!" Brian and Bree took the path toward Emmett and Drew's cottage. About halfway there Brian picked up Bree to carry her the rest of the way. They entered the greenhouse so that Brian could check on the herbs he had planted.

"Briana, I want to ask you something." Brian stood the child on a stool so that they were almost eye to eye. "Did Patrick apologize to you?"

Briana looked down at the floor of the greenhouse. "Yes, Dada."

"But you were still upset with him."

"Yes, Dada. But he said he was sorry again last night, and he brought me cookies."

"Did you accept his apology just because he brought you cookies?"

"No, Dada. I missed him and my tummy was making noises and so was Patrick's. We had a snack and then fell asleep."

"Bree, you know you aren't supposed to have cookies that late at night."

"I know, Dada, but we were hungry."

"I realize that. You didn't eat very much at dinner."

"I wasn't hungry then."

"I know. Bree, I need you to try to understand what I'm about to tell you. Okay?" Briana nodded solemnly. "Sometimes people we love hurt us, not by hitting or hurting our bodies but they hurt us with words. They say bad things that make us feel sad."

"Like Patrick? He said I was dumb."

"Yes, just like that. He was just repeating some things he heard in school."

"We don't say bad things in my school."

"No, you don't, but it happens."

"Like Gampa Craig? He said he hates you. Why does Gampa Craig hate you?"

"Because I hurt him," Brian said regretfully. Bree's eyes grew wide.

"But you my bestest Dada." Bree was astonished that her Dada could ever do anything hurtful.

"I wasn't always the bestest anything. I hurt your Gampa a long time ago and now he doesn't like me."

"Is that why Daddy gets sad sometimes?"

"Yes," Brian replied softly, marveling at how perceptive his daughter was. "You may get sad sometimes too, when someone you love hurts you. It takes a strong person to forgive."

"I strong, Dada!"

"I know you are, very strong. And brave. Patrick loves you; he always has and he always will. You remember that when he says something stupid. Us boys don't always say the right things to the people we love. It takes some of us a long time to learn to say the right things."

"But you my smartest bestest Dada. You say the right things."

"Not always, Squirt, but I'm learning."

Briana appeared to be taking it all in, what her Dada was trying to say. "I love you, Dada, and I forgive you if you say something stupid."

"Thank you, Squirt." Brian hugged his daughter. They looked around, satisfied that the herbs were growing nicely. "Let's go home." Brian scooped up the little girl into his arms to take her home.

*****

"So you took Bree some cookies, did you?" Bobby asked Patrick.

"Yes, Poppa."

"I'm glad you apologized to Bree."

"Me too, but at first she wouldn't talk to me."

"She wouldn't?"

Patrick studied the floor under his feet as he shook his head. "She was really mad at me … and sad."

"So what did you learn from this?"

"That I should think about what I'm saying before I say it and that what other kids say isn't always right. I didn't mean to hurt Bree."

"I know you didn't," Bobby said ruffling his son's red hair. "What made you take her cookies and drinks in the middle of the night?"

"She's always hungry," Patrick noted with a grin. "She wouldn't talk to me at dinner and she hardly ate anything. I figured she'd be hungry."

"And she was?"

"Yeah. I think she really liked that I brought her the cookies."

"Girls do like to be taken care of … most of the time. But not too much."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I'm just warning you that girls can be very unpredictable. It's a fine balancing act knowing what they want or don't want."

"That sounds hard," Patrick said with a frown.

"It is," Bobby chuckled. He could hardly believe that he was having this conversation with his son. "But you followed your instincts and that's the best you can do." Patrick nodded. "Now, no more wandering around in the middle of the night," Bobby admonished.

"Okay, Poppa. Unless I have to 'pologize again."

Bobby snorted. His son was so smart. "You got that right, Son."

Patrick grinned knowing that everything was all right between him and his fathers … and Bree.

*****

"Come here, Dog," Brian said as he saw Beau doing a patrol of the backyard. He had just sent Bree into the house after they came back from Emmett's cottage.

Brian knelt down on the ground and scrubbed the fur around Beau's neck. The big pup loved to have someone do that. His tongue lolled out in sheer ecstasy.

"Thanks for looking after the little ones last night," Brian said into Beau's ear.

Beau gave Brian a decisive lick across his face.

"Hey, don't get fresh," Brian laughed wiping away the doggie slobber. "You did good last night. You're making one fine guard dog … and member of the family.

Beau took another swipe at Brian's face with his tongue.

"Enough, go chase a frog!" Brian ordered standing up and wiping off his face.

Beau skittered over to the path that led to the stream. He plunked down under a tree and watched the man go into the house.

[good dog, smart dog, love, petting, good]

*****

Justin heard Bree coming back from Emmett's. She let the sun porch door slam and ran into the kitchen yelling, "Thirsty!"

"Okay, okay," Justin laughed as he got her a juice box out of the fridge.

"Did you and Dada have a good walk?"

Bree nodded her head as she drank. "Dada tell me not to have cookies late at night."

"He did, huh?"

"Yep, and I won't … unless I'm really hungry."

Justin smiled. "Good girl."

"Daddy?"

"Yes, sweetheart."

"Dada says he hurt Gampa Craig a long, long, long, long time ago, and that's why Gampa Craig hates him."

"Dada told you that?"

"Yep. What did Dada do? He my bestest Dada."

"It's very complicated," Justin said with a sigh. He didn't think Bree was ready for the discussion about homosexuality and all it implied.

"Me no like cop-a-clated things."

"Me either, Bree, me either."


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 11



"Oh fuck!" Brian awakened with a start.

"What's the matter?" Justin mumbled sleepily.

"What time is it?" Brian looked around, slightly disoriented then he focused on the bedside clock. "Shit! I gotta go." Brian scrambled out of bed grabbing clothes as he sprinted to the bathroom.

"Bri?"

Brian stuck his head back into their room. "Go back to sleep. I have to get to the cottage. I'll call you later," Brian hastily explained to Justin who was burying himself back under the sheets. It was July the 5th and they survived the weekend of endless parties and barbecues. Justin had no intention of getting out of bed anytime soon.

Briana had decided that boys were dumb. Although she and Patrick had made up, Bree still harbored some hurt feelings. When Rachel and her girls suggested a girls' only sleepover, Bree happily jumped at the chance to spend time with girls. Even though they were much older, Michelle and Cindy 'adopted' Bree as their new baby sister. Bree sucked up the attention like a sponge. Brian thought it a good idea as well. Bree was the princess among the princes. He thought it wouldn't hurt for Briana to get in touch with her feminine side.

Brian kissed Justin then went out into the porch. Beau had heard Brian rummaging around for clothes so he was ready to join his other man for a jog.

"Come on, Dog, we have furniture to get," Brian explained needlessly to Beau. Beau was just happy that someone was awake and paying him some attention. Brian and Beau jogged down the path toward the cottage. They got to the cottage just as the delivery truck was pulling up.

The unloading and setting up of the furniture took several hours. The furniture that Drew had selected was big, made of thick pale pine and decidedly masculine. While the furniture at the loft could in no way be construed as feminine, it did reflect Emmett's tendency to flame and it was very 'city'. Drew wanted sturdy furniture in the 'Shaker' style and with Brian's assistance, that's what he got. Brian approved of the quality. Drew and Emmett were tall men and even though they were aging they kept in shape. Brian could only imagine the workout each piece of furniture was going to have to endure. It needed to be sturdy to accommodate such activities. Brian chuckled then shook his head at the thought of Emmett having sex. He shuddered then turned his attention to the hutch that was coming through the door.

Brian paid the men then watched the truck drive away. He scrutinized the front path and garden for any damage then went back inside the cottage. It felt 100% homier now with the furniture in place. Gordon's crew had installed all the brackets for the drapes and curtains that Drew had picked out. Brian opened up the box and began to hang the drapes in accordance to Drew's instructions.

"Hey, little bro! We were wondering where you got to," John said as he came into the cottage. "Wow, this looks great! I see you've been busy." Brian wiped the sweat off his brow and nodded. "Here, I think you can use this," John said and handed Brian a cold bottle of water. Brian drank it down greedily. "You should have called me. You know I would have helped."

"I know, but I overslept and by the time I got down here the truck was pulling up. One thing led to another. I'm almost done."

"What's left?"

"The bedroom and den curtains."

"Give them to me while you finish up here. Call Justin. He didn't remember you leaving." John took the remaining curtains as Brian called home.

While John and Brian were tending to the cottage, Beau patrolled the perimeter. Since the fire Beau had made this end of the lane a part of his territory. Rachel too, would see the large dog every once in a while in her yard. At first Rachel thought Beau was a small wolf or coyote until she realized it was Beau doing his patrolling thing. Since her husband often worked late, it made Rachel feel secure knowing Beau was out there.

Beau sniffed and rooted around the garden and fencing. He could smell the scent of the workmen and of his humans. He could also smell the fragrance of the new garden and of the new wooden furniture. Beau resisted the urge to mark each fence post, but he did manage to discreetly mark a few of them. After all, it was Beau's job to protect and he couldn't accomplish that without letting the rest of the world know who was top dog.

"Too bad it's too warm for a fire. Emmett will love this," Brian commented as he carefully placed logs in the fireplace.

"Have Emmett come up here late in the day. It still gets cool at night. Drew can have a small fire going when Emmett arrives. He can keep the windows open." John wanted Emmett to experience the full effect as well. "I would love to be a fly on the wall when Emmett sees this place."

"No you don't," Brian snarked.

"Why?" John asked in all innocence. Brian just stared, waiting for his brother to get a clue. "Oh. Ew!" John exclaimed when the clue bus struck him. Brian giggled. "It's going to take some time to get that image out of my head." Brian and John cracked up. Beau's barking brought the brothers down to earth.

"Is this a private party or can anyone join in?" Bobby called out as he, Patrick and Justin came up the path. Beau was bouncing around happy to see his pack. They came into the cottage to admire the handiwork.

"This is beautiful." Justin's artistic eye approved of the simple yet tastefully done decor.

"I love this furniture," Bobby echoed the appraisal. "Emmett will love it. When do you lure him up here?" Bobby asked Brian.

"Next weekend. Drew has some Ironmen business to do and I need him for a new ad."

"More underwear?" Justin asked.

"Yes, as a matter of fact. That underwear ad Drew did for me has become a classic. The client wants an updated version with a younger athlete. I agreed but I also convinced the client not to ignore us mature but hot stylish guys. We buy underwear too."

"Or not," Bobby snarked as he recalled Brian's habit of going commando, that's when he remembered to put on pants. Brian retorted by sticking his tongue out at the red-head.

"Oh, yeah, real mature," Bobby murmured.

Brian ignored him. "I convinced Drew to model. He recommended a few players that would look good in the ad. The client was very happy with the test demographics. Kinnetik goes to press this week." Brian was very proud of the ad. Older men could be just as sexy as the younguns.

"Bri, does Emmett suspect? I caught him looking at you and Drew a few times on Sunday. He didn't say anything, did he?"

"I think Mr. Honeycutt has turned over a new leaf when it comes to me and believing in rumors. No more jumping to the wrong conclusions without getting the facts first. He couldn't help being curious so Drew and I told him about the ad. Of course, Emmett came to Drew's defence. Quote, my Drewsie is sooo fine, unquote. We have Emmett's approval to use Drew in the ad. However, I conveniently left out the part about the cottage. Ted knows; we needed him to let us know if Emmett suspected anything."

"And Ted sees the bills," Bobby added.

"True," Brian confirmed. He looked around, declared everything perfect then they all left to go back to their own haven.

*****

Just before lunch Michelle and Cindy walked Bree back to the cottage. Bree ran through the door to show her fathers her new hairdo and her painted nails. All the men of the family were sitting in the sun porch drinking lemonade, having finished their work at Emmett's cottage.

"Daddy, Dada, look at me!" Bree cried when she spied them all.

"Hey, Squirt, let's see what they've done to you," Brian laughed.

Bree stopped in front of Brian and did a pirouette. She was dressed in a pink halter top and capris. She held out her hands and one sandal clad foot for her father to admire her painted nails. She put her hand up to her hair which had been pulled back into a ponytail and the end curled nicely at her neck.

"You look bootiful," Brian said pulling her in for a hug and a kiss.

"Daddy?" Bree asked.

"My little girl is growing up," Justin said with the sparkle of tears in his eyes. "You look wonderful. And thank you, girls, for doing this with Bree," he added as Cindy and Michelle appeared in the doorway.

"You're welcome," both girls said at once.

"We had fun with Bree," Michelle laughed. "We left her bag by the front door."

"Me too," Bree giggled as she climbed up into Brian's lap.

"Would you like some lemonade?" Justin asked.

"We have to get back," Cindy said. "We're not finished working on Mom yet."

"By all means go and finish Rachel off," Bobby joked. "See you later."

The girls made their way out of Edna's Treasures.

"Those are lovely nails, Briana," John said taking one of Bree's little hands in hers and examining the handiwork of the girls.

"Thanks, Unca John. Michelle and Cindy and me read stories and stayed up late and did our hair. It was lots and lots of fun." Bree looked pointedly at Patrick who was watching all this in silence.

"Girl stuff," he said, his nose clearly out of joint.

"Good stuff," Bree retorted. She was glorying in all the attention. "Michelle says we can do it again."

"She did, did she?" Justin asked.

"It was fun," Bree declared.

"I think you look lovely, Miss Briana," Bobby told her.

"Thanks, Unca Bobby."

"Um, Bree, want to come out and play with Beau?" Patrick asked.

Beau was immediately at the table wagging his tail when he heard his name mentioned.

Bree made a little face and thought about the invitation. "Play in the playhouse? I want to have a tea party."

Patrick sighed. "Can Beau come too?"

"Sure," Bree said happily as she climbed down off Brian's lap. "Let's go."

The two children and Beau ran out the door of the sun porch. All the adults shook their heads as they disappeared into the Wendy house.

"And peace reigns again!" Brian declared loudly.

"Until the next time they have an argument," John remarked.

"Oh goody, we have what, twenty more years of that? I'm not sure if I can handle it," Justin said, sighing loudly.

"If we're lucky they'll both go away to college," Bobby said wistfully.

The dads exchanged looks and toasted each other with their glasses then Brian stood up.

"It's after five somewhere in the world, anyone want to join me in a beer?" Brian received nods as his answer.

"I'll help." Justin got up to help clear away the glasses and to bring out the beer.

*****

[good dog...big boy...mine...protect...good boy]

Beau walked out of the playhouse. The children had fallen asleep on their little lounge chairs after their pretend tea party and building with their Lego blocks. Beau ran down to the stream but there were no frogs about to harass. He sprinted back to the playhouse and took a peek inside. The kids were resting peacefully.

Beau ran full out toward the lane then down to the new cottage. He loved the freedom his humans gave him and the trust they showed in him. Beau repaid them with his loyalty and protection. The humans that resided in these homes were his pack. Beau would guard them for life.

As Beau approached the new cottage, Gordon drove up. He wanted to take another look around and inspect the completed project. He saw Beau standing on the path. He held his hand out palm side up as greeting. Beau sniffed the hand and recognized the smell as friend. He wagged his tail as Gordon petted his head.

"You're a good dog, Beau, a credit to the Beaus who came before you. And you have a great family. You coming in with me?" Gordon asked the dog who barked loudly then took off back up the lane toward Rachel's house. "I guess not," Gordon laughed as he watched Beau take off. Gordon went into the cottage to do his inspection.

*****

"Hi, Beau!" Michele called out as the large dog ran into her yard.

"Hey, big boy!" Cindy said. Beau wagged his tail furiously at the girls. He made his rounds, stopping momentarily at a large bowl of water that Rachel would leave out for him. He took a good long drink then ran back to Edna's Treasures. His humans caught a glimpse of Beau out of the sun porch windows as he ran toward the playhouse.

At the playhouse Beau stopped to stick his head into the door. Finding the children still asleep, Beau laid down at the entrance to the playhouse. It was Beau's first birthday although the date held little meaning to him. What was important to him was that his pack was safe, he was safe, he had his bed in his warm patch of sun and he was loved. Beau sniffed at the air then laid his head down to take a nap.

[good dog...mine...safe...protect]

*****

"Hellooo," the tall flaming queen leisurely answered his phone as he was relaxing in the apartment he shared with his long time partner, Drew Boyd.

"Honeycutt, where the fuck are you?" Brian growled into the phone.

"Where I usually am on a Sunday afternoon. I'm home, relaxing. And don't call me Honeycutt!"

"Did I interrupt something, I hope?" Brian snickered. He knew full well that he didn't interrupt anything. Drew was standing next to him.

"Asshole. And not that it's any of your business, no, you didn't interrupt anything. Drewsie's out doing something footbally."

"Footbally?" Brian arched an amused eyebrow at Emmett's choice of vocabulary.

"You know, something manly and hunky."

"Oh, that footbally."

"So, to what do I owe the pleasure of you screaming at me over the phone?"

"I need you to get your scrawny nelly bottom ass up here to the cottage."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because I'm planning a special dinner party and I need the help of the number one party planner in the Pitts."

"Well, perhaps I can put up with your insults for a while."

"Especially when cash is involved," Brian snarked at his friend.

"There is that. When do you want me up there?"

"Like yesterday. Pack a bag for a couple of days. This may take some time. I don't want you to have to rush off."

"Are you propositioning me?"

"Maybe, but you know my rules about not doing friends. Besides, Justin would have my other ball and not in a positive life affirming way. And then of course, Drew would just kill me." Justin and Drew nodded in agreement.

"True! Okay, I'll see you in a couple of hours."

"Oh, and Emmett?"

"Yes, Brian?"

"Call when you get to the turn off for our lane. I need you to stop there and park."

"Why?"

"A couple of tree branches came down overnight and we haven't cleared them yet. Call when you get there. I'll meet you with the Jeep."

"Your wish is my command." Emmett was equally adept at snark.

*****

"Kinney," Brian snapped into his cell.

"Hello, Sire, I'm here at the edge of the lane."

"Stay put, I'm coming."

"Ooooo!" Emmett loved to tease.

"Oh for fuck's sake, can it. I'll be right there."

"I'll be waiting," Emmett said still giggling.

*****

"Brian, I don't see any tree branches."

"Shhh."

"Don't you shush me.... What the...?!" As they drove slowly down the lane, Brian pulled up to a quaint cottage complete with white picket fence. They could see smoke wafting from the chimney.

"Surprise!"

"It's a house!" Emmett's eyes grew wide as he stated the obvious.

"At least we know your eyes still work."

"With a picket fence."

"Yes, specifically a white picket fence."

"And Drew, standing on the porch!"

"Honeycutt, you're getting good at this. A house, with a white picket fence and Drew standing on the porch. Now, why don't you get your ass out of my Jeep and go see Drew."

"I, uh, Brian, what does this mean?"

"Welcome home, Emmett!" Brian cooed softly as he gently shoved the startled man out of the Jeep.

"Oh my God!" Emmett shouted, with tears in his eyes. He made a beeline for Drew and his new house. Brian watched as Emmett threw himself into Drew's strong arms. They kissed then went into the house but not before Drew gave Brian the thumbs up. Brian drove back to Edna's Treasures.

TBC

Return to It's a Pup's Life


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=867