My Husband, the Doctor by starlight
Summary:

Vegas, booze and our boys. Justin graduates Med school and goes with Daphne who is getting married, before they leave the country for their new jobs.

 

Lorie as always thank you for being not just my beta but a great sounding board.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Claire Kinney, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Joan Kinney, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Sam Auerbach, Ted Schmidt, Vic Grassi
Tags: Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Cancer, Out of Character, Wedding
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake, Vic/Rodney
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 44 Completed: Yes Word count: 96684 Read: 329102 Published: Feb 07, 2017 Updated: Mar 12, 2017
Story Notes:

The anti is more for the annoying things they do. Justin never meet anyone other than Daphne. He went to college and became a doctor.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

34. Chapter 34 by starlight

35. Chapter 35 by starlight

36. Chapter 36 by starlight

37. Chapter 37 by starlight

38. Chapter 38 by starlight

39. Chapter 39 by starlight

40. Chapter 40 by starlight

41. Chapter 41 by starlight

42. Chapter 42 by starlight

43. Chapter 43 by starlight

44. Chapter 44 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight

Sitting at the bar in Vegas, my only thought was, no more air conditioning for five years. Graduating from med school with my best friend, we decided to sign on to help bring medical care to third world countries. I signed on for five years and of course Daphne signed with me, I think we just wanted to escape our families. Hers because they wanted her to marry her long time boyfriend and open a cute little practice where she could be home to plan dinner parties every weekend. Andrew just laughed at the idea that his spitfire would ever do anything like that, so like everything else he did in life, he followed Daphne. I mean what organization was going to say no to a guy with an international law degree, who was willing to work for free, but Andrew already inherited a fortune, so he’s just like Daphne and I, a workaholic. Tonight though they wanted to ruin all Mrs. Chander’s plans for the wedding of the century, so here we are getting a bit lit off our asses, going to find a wedding chapel and as many Elvis impersonators as possible. For some reason Daphne and Andrew really want to send their parents many pictures of their idea of ‘Wedding of the Century’.

 

“You know… I mean… I should so like maybe pretend to… um what was I saying?” Tequila is just soooo much fun.

 

“You wanted to marry Andrew...wait no... hell I don’t know.” Miss Vodka is so not helpful right now.

 

“No offence, but sorry I’m just not in love with you.” Andrew is such a delightful twit.

 

“Oh, now I remember, I should like get married and send Craig eight by tens for the den.” I tell them, because this just sounds absolutely marvelous to me.

 

“Justin are you like, drunk? Oh yeah, we are.” Daphne tells me, grinning like well, me.

 

“I’m just saying, he’s running around thrilled to tell everyone his son’s a doctor, but then acts like the whole gay thing just doesn’t exist.” I rush out, before taking another shot.

 

While I was trying to guzzle it, a drunk guy throws his arms around me, nuzzling my neck and you know, as much as I like guys nuzzling, I was kind of working on my guzzling, hehehe. I pushed the guy off and turned to say something, but well I was kind of looking at a zipper so I had to look up and up. He was staring down at the guy on the floor.

 

“Mikey, you're never going to score like that.” Tall, dark, and delicious tells floor guy.

 

“Brian, I was just goofing off, we are celebrating partnership.” Mikey, who’s as drunk as we are, tells him.

 

Two other guys come running up and drag a giggling Mikey behind them. Brian sits down and stares at me. I look over a Daphne and Andrew who were ready to go do the matrimony thing. Brian was definitely nice to look at, but with Mikey for a partner I figured someone had to be the good looking one. Time to stop drinking, because it always leads to me being catty about unequal partnerships.

 

“So what are you doing alone that we could be doing together?” He asks me.

 

“We are getting married.” Daphne points at me and her but that’s just her drunk, zero sense of direction.

 

“You do realize that he’s gay?” Brian asks with a silly smile, and I realize he’s not exactly sober either.

 

“Andrew isn’t gay trust me, hey I even have pictures of how gay he isn’t.” Daphne starts searching her phone.

 

“NO, please, if I promise to deliver your first born, you have to keep the ‘How I Got Knocked Up’ pictures to yourself.” I wasn't kidding, she really has pictures and video of that event which is what lead us to Vegas the night before leaving the country.

 

“Fine, but it's not like he’ll ever see the miracle of creating life.” She tells us.

 

“I missed my owns son's birth, just because that miracle isn't really on my agenda.” He tells us.

 

“Wait aren’t you like on my team, I mean you're here celebrating with your partner? ” I ask him, because seriously that would ruin my buzz.

 

“Partnership as in owning my Ad firm along with a friend, and trust me I don't do relationships.” He tells me.

 

“Me neither, but it's cause I'm leaving tomorrow, otherwise I'd be all for changing your mind.” I tell him.

 

“Well one last round, then off to become the ball and chain.” Daphne tells us hanging her arms around Andrew like a chain.

 

“Well let me buy us a couple bottles, might as well see what the wedding fuss is all about.” Brian offers.

 

It's kind of the last thing I really remember from last night, well I had this strange dream that I got married to a ridiculously gorgeous man. Although the dream about the after the wedding sex was sort of amazing, when I woke up, it was just me in bed. Granted I'm sure I had sex last night and peeking in the waste basket I'm absolutely relieved I didn't do anything stupid. Hopping up, which really sucks with a hangover, I see a note next to aspirin, which I accidentally knocked the glass of water on, so only the first line and the signature were readable.

 

Have fun, call so we can take care of the an……..  

 

Your buddy in matrimonial pursuits,

BK

 

I just threw the paper away, because it didn't make much sense. Plus I don't remember BK.  Downing the aspirin, I take a shower, deciding who ever he was, he sure showed me a good time, at least I hope so with how sore I was this morning.  

 

I headed down to the lobby to my waiting cab and passed by a guy who was complaining that his best friend bailed on him last night to two other guys. I paused, but Daphne came running up with Andrew and started dragging me out.

 

“Jesus Brian couldn’t you at least call me, so I know you’re not dead somewhere.” I hear and turn to see the guy that was in my dreams.

 

“I was busy getting busy, so no…” The rest I lost when the doors closed, but really I'm about to embark on a new career so why do I feel like I'm missing something by not hearing what the guy in the lobby told his friend.

 

On the flight to Africa, I started looking for a sketch pad, but found a piece of paper wadded up. Shit, ink spilled all over it. Pulling it open, I'm kind of not sure, but this looks like a marriage license with my name and well, the other name, covered in ink. The scrawl on the bottom is barely legible. Turning to the lovebirds behind me,

 

“Did I get married?” I ask them.

 

“You and the other guy joked around about it, but after we got married you two took off, so I couldn't tell you. Why?” Daphne asks.

 

I hand her the paper. She stares at it then goes through her paperwork in her briefcase, pulling out hers. Turning them so I can see them, they’re both the same with the seal for Nevada on it.

 

“Do you remember his name?” I ask, getting her hysterical laughter which I didn’t need, when I'm apparently married to God only knows who.

 

“Look at it this way, your marriage will at least last five years.” Andrew is so off my good list.

 

“Hey, you married Hollywood style, but at least the divorce isn't.” I hope her kid comes out a hell raiser, if not, I'll at least help make it a parents nightmare by spoiling the hell out of it.  

 

“Justin we could go back, I mean drunk marriage is annulled all the time.” She tells me.

 

“I really want to have Craig smirking that I'm an idiot. Not in this lifetime.” I slump back in my seat.

 

I grab the phone and place a call that will probably cost a hundred a minute, only to find out you have to show up in person to get a copy of the original, and no they can't just read the names off unless they see ID. Hanging up, I decided five years and I'll check into it. It's not like I plan to get married again anyway.

 

FIVE YEARS LATER

 

“Uncle Justy, why is Mommy all big?” Callie asks me.

 

“Remember, Mommy is having your brother.” I tell her.

 

“Yep, but will you love that baby more than me?” She asks swinging her legs in the chair.

 

“Nope, because you're my angel.” I joke with her.

 

“Why are we moving to Pitts?” She asks me.

 

“Because Mommy loves to torture Daddy and me.” I tell her.

 

“Justin it's not like we are moving into our parents neighborhood.” Daphne tells me, waddling up.

 

“We could have set up a practice anywhere but Pittsburgh.” I tell her.

 

“Andrew got the job for that huge firm and where we go, you go.” She tells me.

 

“I know, but really, we just got off the plane and already that Kinney guy is calling him to handle some contract negotiation. Andrew doesn’t seem to realize that he’s taken a job that is going to interrupt your home life, if the guy starts expecting him to work right now.” I tell her.

 

“Andrew misses the high stress life, I mean, admin for clinics really wasn’t what he wanted to do forever, just long enough to be there for Callie.” She tells me wincing.

 

“Shit how far apart? I swear I’m going to lose my license for lying about how pregnant your ass really is.” I ask her, checking her pulse.

 

“I wanted Andrew to be there for the birth, this way at least we’ll be together. Otherwise I’d still be in Africa.” She tells me.

 

Andrew hangs up and looks at us. “I knew I should have put my foot down and made you stay.” He tells Daphne.

 

Which really didn’t matter when she almost crushed my hand. We get her ass out of the airport with Callie complaining that she wanted a sister, not a brother. The hospital was close enough that we got Daphne through the door and into delivery without having the delivery in the waiting room. This time I stayed outside with Callie, thank God. Daphne is not a very happy woman in labor.

 

Callie and I were walking down to the nursery when Andrew came out to tell us that Andrew Justin Carson was being taken there. It was really sweet that they wanted to give him my name. Callie and I were staring at Baby Andy, when a group of people came to look at the little girl next to him. I smiled, but Andy had all my attention. The group walked off but a little boy stood there staring at the girl.

 

“That’s my sister.” He tells us.

 

“She’s adorable, not like my brother. Want to trade? Cause I wanted a sister.” Callie tells him.

 

“Callie, you can’t trade babies.” I tell her.

 

“GUS, you can’t leave like that.” A blonde haired woman tells him.

 

“I wanted to look at Jenny without Uncle Mikey around.” He tells her.

 

“Honey, Michael’s really excited to have a child, just like your dad was.” She tells him.

 

“I just don’t like it when he says he’s not going to be a part time dad, like my dad. My dad always sees me.” He tells her.

 

“Lambskin, it’s just Uncle Mikey.” She tells him.

 

“Uncle Mikey gave Mama a baby, like my dad did for Mom.” He tells us, as if he’s really tired.

 

“I’m sure they don’t want to know sweetheart.” She looks up at us smiling.

 

“We just came cause my mommy didn’t want to have a baby in Africa.” Callie informs them.

 

“Well Callie girl, we should go see Mommy and Daddy.” I tell her because Callie is all into the sharing.

 

I look down at the little boy and realize he’s really flushed and wincing as if he has a headache.

 

“I’m Justin…” I wait hoping they’ll introduce themselves.

 

“Lindsay, and this is Gus.” She tells me when I stared at Gus.

 

“Lindsay, has Gus had chicken pox?” I ask her.

 

“No, but kids at school had it a couple weeks ago.” She tells me.

 

“I’m a doctor, would you mind if I ask Gus some questions, because you might need to get him checked out if I’m right.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay nods and I knock on the window and ask for a thermometer and some gloves. The nurse comes out and hands them to Callie who I asked to get them. I didn’t want the nurse too close when she worked with newborns. His temperature was higher than normal, and I found the spot when he reached to scratch it.

 

“You should have him checked out, because it looks like he’s got it. Also you need to make sure your daughter’s mother had it, because if she didn’t it could be dangerous for the baby to be around him.” I tell her.

 

“I hate to ask, but can you go to the room and let my partner know that I have to take Gus to see a doctor.” She ask me.

 

I took Callie to her father and tell him I’m going to run an errand. A nurse was standing outside the door and I figured I could tell her to inform the family. When she walked in I stood outside and waited to make sure I could answer anything if they needed me to. I really started to worry when Uncle Mikey got hysterical.

 

“Ben, he could have gotten you sick, not to mention Jenny. Mel, you need to call Brian and tell him to take care of his kid. I won’t have my daughter or Ben get sick because you didn’t realize Gus had chicken pox.” He yells it.

 

“If everyone’s had chickenpox, or had the shot, then it’s really unlikely it will hurt anyone. I always suggest not letting a child with it be around newborns, but that’s just because newborns don’t always have the immunities to chicken pox, so unless Ben hasn’t had it, then he should be alright.” I tell them.  

 

“Well my husband is HIV positive, so why don’t you just mind your own business.” He tells me.

 

“Have you been around Gus a lot?” I ask, concerned, because yes, he could have adverse reactions to most viruses.

 

“No they haven’t, Gus has been with his father for the last two weeks. So Michael you need to stop freaking out.” Mel who I guess is the new mom informs us all.

 

“Well I don’t want him here until he’s not sick anymore.” Michael, the whining asshole, tells us.

 

“Shit, who are you?” She asks me when I can see she’s conflicted about this.

 

“Justin Taylor, but I’m also a doctor, so I do know the affects that this could have.” I tell her because Michael needs to stop looking at me like I’m a teenager.

 

“Sure you are.” Michael tells me.

 

“Justin, look, can you tell Lindsay to call Brian and let him know that he’ll have Gus a little longer. Which he’ll love, Michael.” She tells us, but why is she almost warning Michael?

 

“It might interrupt his day, you know how he hates when anyone calls him at work.” He tells her.

 

“Michael, he’s just not thrilled when you call five times in a row, he’s busy, unlike you.” Ben tells him, looking annoyed.

 

At this point I honestly want to deliver the message and get back to my family. Walking down to the emergency room, I see Doctor Adams, who I interned with, and go see if he could lead me to Lindsay and Gus. He gets the information for me and we head to his room. Doctor Adams took over for the nurse, and I pull Lindsay aside.

 

“I went and told your wife, but I think the guy… Michael, is really concerned because of Ben, his husband?” I stumble through because really I’m just guessing, but she nods like she understands. “They said you should call Gus’s father to get him.” I tell her.

 

“Brian should be here any minute now.” She tells me, and it’s strange, but that name always sends tingles down my spine.

 

“Okay, well I hope Gus feels better soon.” I tell her turning to go.

 

I walked out to see a guy rushing in, and well I had to stand there for a second because he was really just beautifully made. He started by me and the cologne he wore smelled great so I kind of sniffed maybe a little too loudly.

 

I ran when I knew he must have heard me, shit, that’s embarrassing. I got in the elevator and he was standing there smirking when I turned around but then his smirk kind of died and he opened his mouth. The door closed before whatever he was going to say could come out.

 

Andrew met me at the door to the room with a sleepy Callie and handed me the keys. We agreed that I would take Callie to the new apartment and stay with her. We wanted the new baby transition to be easy on her, she was so used to being the only one. I carried her but then turned around to see Michael and took the stairs because I was not riding down with that asshole.

 

I managed to find Tremont Street and get into the building without any problems. Getting to the fourth floor, I slid open the door and put Callie to bed. I grabbed the remote and started flipping channels, still wondering what the guy would have said if I hadn’t let the door shut.

 

BRIAN

 

When they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, well it’s a lie, because my husband is in Pittsburgh. I have the marriage license to prove he’s the one. I waited for Justin to call me, but then weeks and years went by without a phone call. My lawyer was willing to file an uncontested divorce, but warned me that it wouldn’t look good in the business world that I drunkenly married someone I don’t know in Vegas. It was a sad day when I realized I had to get a copy of the marriage license to even remember his full name.

 

When I started my own company, it actually came in useful to say that I was married but that my spouse was a doctor giving aid to third world countries. Which I only knew because I hired a detective to find out for me. I figured sooner or later he’d come to find me and we could settle this. What I didn’t expect was to walk by him at the hospital, or that he didn’t seem to recognize me. Even drunk, I could at least remember what he looked like.

 

Right now I need to see Gus, because Lindsay will make everything sound worse than it is. Walking in, Gus was sleeping while Lindsay cried on the doctor. I just waited because I was told Chickenpox when I called Mel, who has always been more level headed.

 

“Brian, it’s chickenpox.” Lindsay comes over grabbing me like they said cancer.

 

“Which, as long as Brian has had it, should be fine. Like Justin told you, it’s not dangerous, just contagious.” The doctor tell us.

 

“Justin?” I ask because it’s a name that really interests me right now.

 

“Oh, he’s the one that noticed Gus looked feverish.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Justin’s dealt with a lot of these kinds of things.” The doctor tells us.

 

“Yeah Daddy, they were in Africa.” Gus tells me yawning.

 

I go over to Gus and pick him up and hold him in my lap, trying to think of a way to get Justin’s last name, because I have a feeling my husband just diagnosed his stepson.

 

“I’d like to thank Justin, sorry but nobody said his last name.” I hope it didn’t sound like the fishing expedition it was.

 

“Taylor, but Justin wouldn’t see it as anything but doing his job.” The doctor tells me and leaves Lindsay with a prescription.

 

I picked up Gus and carried him to the booth where we pay for this trip. Handing my credit card over as Lindsay pretends not to notice that you pay for these visits. It’s really not a big surprise anymore to me, Mel usually just writes a check for half, which I just deposit to Gus’s college fund. After handing me the receipt she walks with us to the waiting room.

 

“Why were you so interested in Justin’s name?” She asks me, I had high hopes she didn’t notice but she always does.

 

“I wanted to see if my husband was really in town.” I tell her, not caring how she takes it. I didn’t expect her to pass out.

 

The doctor who saw Gus runs out and helps Lindsay up. Who then tells the doctor she just got lightheaded from her pregnancy, which was probably something she didn’t mean to say because I sure as hell didn’t know about this, and I doubt Mel does either. The minute it occurs to her what she said she tries to play it off, but until she explains she isn’t leaving my side.

 

“Lindsay, when did you get pregnant?” I ask her as I make her walk with me to the car.

 

“You know when I told you about Sam, well he left a present. I wanted to talk to you about this because Peter, I need your help.” She tells me and there is no way I’m going to do this for her. Mel and I do just fine without her thinking that Lindsay and I went behind her back and got Lindsay pregnant again.

 

“I’m not going to pretend to be the father.” I tell her.

 

“We can just have the same arrangement, you don’t even have to be involved with this one. I just don’t see Mel taking this well, since she never figured out about Sam.” She tells me.

 

“Tell her that you wanted artistic sperm this time, but not that I knocked you up. I’m not kidding, because if Mel shows up pissed, I’m not going to protect you.” I tell her.

 

“All this because you had to make that joke.” She tells me.

 

I buckle Gus into his car seat and get in my car, rolling down the window. “Hey Lindsay.” I yell as she starts back to the hospital. “I wasn’t joking, tell Mel I married her Jewish Mother’s dream, a doctor.” I roll up the window and head home.

 

Chapter 2 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I woke up from a sound sleep and suddenly realized who I'd been sniffing. Shit, how did I forget him? I got up and checked on Callie, but couldn't go back to sleep. My husband is in Pittsburgh? This is what I get for trying to pretend it doesn't matter. Normally I'd tell Daphne, but she's most likely sleeping. I walk out to the balcony and stare out at the city. 

 

“How the hell am I supposed to find you?” I whispered. 

 

Here's the problem with my husband, I don't really know him, so I made up this great life in my head. It gave me something to do at night. Now the reality is going to ruin the fantasy. 

 

I heard someone talking on the phone below me, and I'll admit I eavesdropped, it was just he starting talking about after cancer. I'm a doctor, with a lot of opinions on the subject. 

 

“Ted, it's just everything tastes like shit lately. I do eat, but it's hard when even bread taste like cardboard.”

 

“Thai is killing me after, which sucks because it still tastes good. Look, worry about Blake and remind me to tell you about Lindsay, because I'm not getting trapped in her schemes. I'll tell you about it tomorrow.” 

 

Which gave me an idea that could help him. Part of the reason Thai most likely tastes good is they are heavy garlic users. I check to see if the ingredients are in the kitchen. Grabbing a Dutch oven pot, I crush eight cloves of garlic and put olive oil in the pot to heat. When the oil was hot I added the garlic, which just stinks up the room, but it’s necessary. Throwing ground chicken and ground up mild Italian sausage which means stirring until my arm screams, but I need the pieces to separate. I would make chicken stock, but we had some so after the meat was done I pour in the whole carton, added potatoes and mushrooms then poured in the heavy whipping cream. I had an hour before it was ready and hopefully the guy will still be up. When the potatoes were done, I grabbed a lidded container and filled it up, leaving some for Callie for tomorrow because she loves this.

 

Now how to get it to him without him thinking I was sort of eavesdropping. I wrote a note and did the whole knock and run thing. Most of my patients in Africa liked it because it was hearty and easy on digestion when they were sick. I hope it helps him, at least I'm not going stir crazy about my screwed up marriage. I grabbed a bowl and wondered if he got it. I could check later.

 

BRIAN 

 

After getting off the phone with Mother Ted, it really bothered me that nothing was appetizing, it’s been months and I still don’t like most foods that usually I eat. It’s been great that the family never seems to think I eat, so when I wasn’t, no one seemed very surprised. 

 

The smell of garlic cooking came through the window, it’s one of the things that I still like, but unfortunately I’m not really good at cooking anything that doesn’t come from one of the menus in my drawer. The other thing I hate is the fact that I can’t sleep without nightmares, but I never really slept a lot anyway. Whatever the person upstairs was cooking really smelled good and I almost went upstairs to see, but I really didn’t want my new lawyer looking at me like I was a lunatic. I checked Gus and he wasn’t breaking out all over, but the doctor told me when I called him back that Gus had the immunization so it should be a really mild case. I wish he hadn’t had to get even the mild case, he was miserable before he went to bed. 

 

‘What the hell is Lindsay trying to pull with me?’ kept running through my head, because Mel and I have actually been able to deal with each other when it comes to Gus, and I want to keep it that way. I’ve loved having my sonny boy with me the last few weeks, without having Lindsay show up telling me all the things that she thinks I’m doing wrong. This latest dilemma is one mess she is entirely on her own for, all I care about is Gus. 

 

When my phone rings I almost yell at Ted I was fine, but he’s only doing this because, and I can’t believe this myself, he cares.

 

“Brian, Kelly at Eyeconics called me to invite us to a charity event for Doctors Without Borders. Apparently she wants to fly your husband in for the event, what the hell am I supposed to tell her? Since you may be married but you and hubby don’t fucking know each other.” Poor Theodore is on the verge of a meltdown.

 

“Did I forget to mention that hubby is somewhere in Pittsburgh?” I tell him, waiting for his next meltdown.

 

“That could be great because then we could convince him to do you this favor, you know, for a divorce.” He tells me.

 

“One problem, he didn’t exactly recognize me.” I tell him, and really, is it necessary to hyperventilate over this?

 

“Brian we need to find him, because Kelly isn’t going to fall for ‘he’s busy’ again. She likes that you seem to be in a stable relationship.” He tells me.

 

“Look, when I find him, hopefully he’ll agree to help since it was the organization he was working with, until then, let me deal with Kelly.” I tell him, because Ted under pressure is like Emmett with gossip, they both blow eventually.   

 

I go to the door when someone knocks, no one was there but there was a container on the ground with an envelope. Picking it up and in the container it looked like soup. Placing it on the counter, I remember Ted. “Help me figure out how to tell a hormonal Mel that Lindsay’s exploration into the hetero world left a present, night.” I hang up to Ted probably going into convulsions, but when I opened the note and the container I was too busy looking for a spoon. 

 

For the first time in months something tasted good and seemed to want to stay where I put it. I looked at the note and now all I need to do is figure out where he disappeared to, which tasting the garlic in this gave me a clue. 

 

“This was something that worked for children who couldn’t handle heavy seasonings. It should at least stay down. 

 

Enjoy,

J. Taylor, MD.”

 

What the hell were the chances that it would be this easy. I look for my phone and dial Andrew.

 

“Hey Brian, look I’ll get to the contract in the morning, my wife just had a baby.” He tells me.

 

“So you're not upstairs?” I ask him.

 

“No, but my wife’s best friend is staying with us. He’s got our daughter right now.” He tells me.

 

“I was going to at least meet you guys, but I could go introduce myself, just so if he needs anything he knows where to find me.” I tell him.

 

“Justin’s with our daughter, but I’m sure he’s bored. He took her home and said they were going to nap. Justin’s a bit of a night owl so he’ll probably welcome the company.” Isn’t my lawyer just helpful.

 

I finish a bowl and decide to go upstairs and surprise my long lost husband, and I would have if Michael wasn’t standing there looking at me like I’m a murderer when I open my door.

 

“I can’t believe you guys were just letting Gus run around sick and not thinking of Ben and Jenny.” He tells me.

 

“Since we didn’t know Gus was sick because the symptoms just started, you need to calm down, it wasn’t like we were trying to hurt your precious little family.” I tell him.

 

“I expect everyone to understand that Gus can’t be around any of us until there is a doctor to clear him, and definitely not the blond shithead who acted like he was the authority on everything.” I slam my door shut in his face. Ever since he gave Mel sperm, it’s like he thinks he knows everything about being a father. Well wait until Jenny get’s sick, then he’s going to realize how little he knows.

 

At that point, I didn’t want to bring my shitty mood upstairs. I grabbed another bowl and dug in because so far it’s the best thing I’ve had in awhile. 

 

My phone rings again and I see it’s Lindsay, just wanting to add more shit on the pile, so I didn’t bother to answer her. A text came through from Andrew telling me to call Justin, and he even supplied the number. I sit for a second debating if I want to hear his voice for the first time face to face or over the phone. With Gus here, the phone would have to do.

 

“Hello?” Justin answers.

 

“Hi, I was talking to Andrew and he mentioned you were in the apartment. I’m Brian Kinney, his boss and landlord, and apparently your new patient if the soup was from you.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, sorry I kind of overheard you talking and when I was out of the country, it was an easy thing to make for my patients. I could make like gallons in no time. I hope it helped you?” He tells me, and really do people like him exist?

 

“It tasted like it smelled when you cooked it. Thanks.” Hell, I sound so not me.

 

“The garlic is really strong and is actually good for cancer patients, but depending on how you feel about the carbs, it’s just something easy. I usually add smoked Gouda to it but that might have been too much if you haven’t been eating a lot lately, and I am so sorry that you now know that I overheard you.” He tells me.

 

“It got me something that actually tasted good and seems to be staying down, so overhear all you want.” I tell him.

 

“That’s what a doctor likes to hear, that the patient is eating well.” He tells me laughing.

 

“So the MD was for doctor?” I ask, because well, maybe he’ll keep talking, it’s relaxing for once.

 

“Yep, I made my father so proud with that one, probably the only time in recent years.” He tells me.

 

“Why would your father not be proud, you’re every mom’s dream husband?” I ask him.

 

“God, I hope you aren’t homophobic, because if you are we should like end this before it becomes awkward.” He tells me.

 

“Kind of hard, when I’m probably the happiest gay man on the planet.” I tell him.

 

“Well that’s exactly my father’s problem, he pretends that I’m not. Which I probably made easier by leaving the country, you know, see no evil. Shit, sorry for talking so much, but you're the first adult I’ve talked to that isn't my best friend.” He tells me, and I can almost hear the smile.

 

“Makes it hard to date if you don’t talk to adults.” I tell him.

 

“Tell me about it, but then I guess I should worry more about the husband I somehow got.” Okay I’ll admit I had to bite my tongue because I felt like Emmett right at this moment.

 

“Bad marriage?” Really how bad could it be, I let him go away for five years, not that we really discussed much but whether the shower was big enough for two that night.

 

“No, but then I don’t really remember how it happened and somehow don’t really remember his name. Although things are looking up, because I realized tonight that I saw him while I was at the hospital. So at least until I can get a copy of the marriage license, I can go all stalker detective looking for a tall gorgeous Armani wearing hunk. The best part, at least in my eyes, is that even drunk I managed to land a fifteen.” I really wanted him to keep laughing but I was also getting sleepy for the first time.

 

“What happens when you find him?” I ask around my yawn.

 

“I can hear my soup is doing the trick. I guess we need to figure out how to get a divorce.” He tells me, and I’m really not excited that he’s thinking we should, but then I never meant to marry him, so why am I now trying to think up arguments for not getting divorced.

 

“What if he doesn’t want one?” Jesus, I need to stop talking.

 

“Why wouldn’t he, we met, got married and he left without really giving me a way to contact him? Well, I think he tried, but there was a bit of a water accident with the note he left, then the license got covered in ink, and did I forget to mention that I’m the biggest procrastinator on the planet. Man, this afternoon when I was checking on this adorable kid, I actually walked right by him and didn’t realize it. I’m sure he’ll just love to hear that, although he should have been burned in my brain, it took me a few hours to remember him. Now I’m imagining all sorts of ways to say hello to him, and on that note, get some sleep, doctor’s orders.” He tells me hanging up.

 

I look down and my husband just gave me a woody. Which has been hit and miss lately, but apparently I hit it today. Which was the last thing I remembered because I feel asleep dreaming of the wedding.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Gus woke me up, I never got off the couch last night. He wanted to go to the diner, but I wasn't going to have Michael make Gus feel bad about being sick. The only problem, the lack of breakfast food in the house. With Gus going home, I stopped buying his food, because I figured he and I could do that on his next visit. Grabbing my key, I decided we could go somewhere other than the diner this morning. When I opened the door, Deb was standing there with a basket full of breakfast.

 

“I was going to come and see if you wanted me to get stuff for Gus, you know with the bubonic plague he's got.” She tells me, rolling her eyes as she comes in.

 

“It was definitely not his finest moment.” I follow her in as she pulls out food. “You didn’t have to bring this.” I tell her, kissing her cheek.

 

“I'd love to say I did, but it was sitting outside your door.” She tells me while getting Gus a plate with pancakes and bacon.

 

I walked to my room and called my Doctor. 

 

“Hey, I left some food for you, I keep cooking like I have twenty kids. So if you haven't opened your door, it's outside.” Justin tells me. 

 

“A friend came by to check on my son, and found it.” I tell him. 

 

“You have a son?” He asks, sounding confused.

 

“Did I not mention that?” I ask him, thinking if it came up.

 

“I don’t think so, but I kind of left enough for a couple of people, so hopefully he likes pancakes.” He tells me. 

 

“You could have stayed, it would have been nice to meet my Doctor.” Hopefully he would have thought it was nice to meet his husband and stepson.

 

“I didn’t want to intrude, like I did last night. I was also on my way out to look at a building. I wanted to get my new practice up and running. Which is probably more than you wanted to know. I really need to get out, because you probably would rather I don't talk your ear off.” He tells me. 

 

“We could get together with a couple of my friends, then you'll have new adults to talk to.” I tell him. 

 

“Sounds like fun, call me and we can meet somewhere.” He tells me, hanging up. 

 

“Interesting smirk.” Deb tells me, smiling and coming in to make the bed.

 

“Deb, you don’t have to play housekeeper.” I tell her as my front door opens, it's really time to change my locks. 

 

“Go, and I'm not your housekeeper, just doing what all moms do for their messy sons.” She tells me.

 

Walking out to see who barged in, I almost turned around and asked Mommy to deal with Lindsay. She sat her ass down and started making a plate for herself.

 

“We need to talk about yesterday.” She tells me.

 

“I already told you no, so I don't see that there is anything to talk about.” I tell her. 

 

“Why, it's not like you have to do anything?” She asks me. 

 

“Where did I hear that before, oh, could it be when you got me to donate for real?” I ask her. 

 

“Lambskin, why not go watch TV while Daddy and I talk.” She hasn’t figured out that I’m not moving on this subject, but then she can’t see that. “Brian, I also wanted you to know that the joke you made, it wasn’t funny.” She tells me when Gus sat on the couch.

 

“Sorry about the artistic sperm crack, but if you're going to blame someone for your indiscretion it should at least be the guy who knocked you up.” I tell her, knowing it’s not what she was talking about.

 

“You know exactly what I was talking about, the supposed husband.” She tells me.

 

“He’s real, but then it's not really your business.” I tell her.

 

“How can you say that? We share a child.” She tells me.

 

“Because unlike you and Michael, I don’t feel the need to ask anyone their opinions on my personal life. I got married and wow, imagine that, I didn’t tell you or Mikey. Could it be because I didn’t need you two offering unwanted opinions on everything.” I tell her, and well I just didn’t need to hear my drunk ass got me in this mess. Although what a delightful mess he was that night.

 

“Oh and how long have you been married, because I still don’t believe you.” She tells me sarcastically.

 

“Five years.” I tell her.

 

“You’ve managed to hide the pretend husband for five years, that’s amazing, even for you.” She was getting angry.

 

“Nothing to hide, he was committed to work in another country and just got back.” Which is the truth.

 

“Well how about producing him?” She asks, looking under the table then in the refrigerator.

 

“What are you looking for?” I ask.

 

“I was just making sure I didn’t miss him.” She tells me slamming the refrigerator closed. “Now can you stop this and help me with my little problem?” She sits down and I wanted to yank the plate away for her.

 

“There’s nothing I can do for you, you got knocked up on your own and you can handle it on your own. I’m not going to pull your ass out on this. Maybe call Sam and have him lie for you, because right now I have things I need to deal with.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, why do you even care that I tell Mel you’re the father. Like I said, you can just ignore this baby and it will stop Mel from finding out about Sam and I. Think about Gus, because this could tear my marriage apart.” She tells me, and shit Deb doesn’t look to happy right now.

 

Walking up to the table Deb sits across from Lindsay. “Brian, congratulations.” She tells me. “You little girl are going to listen to me and listen well. You made the mistake and you need to learn to live with the consequences of what you do. Brian isn’t going to be running to the rescue because I’m giving you a week to tell Mel, if you don’t, then I will. She doesn’t need to start playing ‘blame Brian’ again, when she and Brian have finally been able to get along. Go home and clean up your mess.” Deb tells her.

 

“You don’t understand, Mel won’t forgive me and I’m too far along to do anything about it.” She tells us.

 

“You should have thought of that when you did what you did, but Brian isn’t going to deal with this.” Deb tells her.

 

“Well I hope your ready to find Gus and I a place to live.” Lindsay warns me, walking out and barely waving at Gus.

 

“Now Mr Kinney, is there something you forgot to tell me?” She asks and I already know she’s trying to figure out how I’m married yet she never met the husband.

 

“Vegas, booze and a wedding chapel.” I tell her.

 

“Where is my son in law?” She asks. God help Justin, because Deb has dreamed of me settling down for a long time.

 

“Normally I could say Africa, but apparently he’s back.” I tell her, trying to look interested in the pancake, but get up and grab the soup.

 

“Can you at least pay attention and tell me what I’m trying to get out of you.” She gets up and pulls out the container and starts pouring it in a bowl for me. She’s alway got to serve us. “Who cooked this?” She asks and dips a spoon in, I was just about to explain that, unlike her son, I know how to use a spoon, but she tasted it and nodded her head, it passed her taste test.

 

“Did I mention that I married a Doctor, Ma?” I ask her, grabbing my bowl.

 

Deb looks over at the door as it opens yet again, but it was Ted, who looked like he might have pulled out his hair last night. “You’re eating, so you found something the cancer didn’t ruin for you.” I AM GOING TO KILL HIM.

 

“WHAT?” Deb screams, making Gus jump and run to me.

 

“You scared me Grandma.” Gus tells her.

 

“I’m sorry sweetheart”, “Shit I didn’t see her” Deb and Ted say at the same time.

 

“Brian, what’s he talking about?” Deb puts her hands around my face, making me look at her.

 

“I’m fine, they got it all and I’ve just been having a hard time finding things that I could eat.” I tell her, because I never should have hidden it from the only real mother I have.

 

“Is this something you could eat, because get me the recipe and I’ll make enough that you can have it all the time.” Deb tells me kissing my head.

 

Ted walks over to the container and dips in a spoon. “Where did you find it, I’ll make sure you have it.” Ted tells me.

 

“I can eat other things.” I tell mother hen one and two.

 

“Hey about the other thing, any progress because Kelly wants to meet him tomorrow.” Ted tells me but doesn’t look at me. Did I mention he’s a dead man?

 

“Ted, did you know Brian got married?” And this is how it gets in the grapevine.

 

Ted, not the idiot he’s acting like, looks to see what I want him to say. I shrug because she already knows.

 

“Yeah, now if we could just find the husband, we’d be set.” Ted tells her.

 

“Found him.” I tell Ted, cause you know, he’s not wound up enough.

 

“Did he say anything about helping us with Kelly?” He asks.

 

“He might have if I’d asked him, but right now he doesn’t have a clue that I’m the husband who scores a fifteen.” Yes, I am vain enough to love that statement.

 

“How do you know he thinks that?” Ted tells me.

 

“He told me when I called to thank him for the soup.” I tell him and Ted has the look of ‘Hurry up and explain’.

 

“Brian, it is not the time for us to drag every detail out.” Deb tells me.

 

“He lives upstairs.” I tell them, and they both look up. What were they expecting, the ceiling to open up and Justin to fall into my lap?

 

“Well go get him.” Deb waves at the door.

 

“He’s out, but hey, he fixed breakfast this morning like a good little hubby.” I joke.

 

Deb walks to the door to go upstairs because I wouldn’t move and there stood Justin arguing with Mikey. 

 

“Look, just because you got his kid to see a real doctor doesn’t mean bother him with unwanted attention.” Michael tells him.

 

“Well, I was just going to my apartment on the fourth floor when you dragged me to the third floor to tell me to stay away from your BEST FRIEND, if you’d left me alone then you would have gotten your wish, and while we are on this, if you wanted to keep your husband and child safe, visiting your best friend when said child is there wouldn’t be the smartest way to go about it. You do understand that you can carry it home and it would be on you, not a child who didn’t know he was sick.” Justin kept walking as he talked, backing Michael into a corner.

 

“You know so much because what, your daddy’s a doctor?” Michael sneers.

 

“Michael, knock it off, what are you doing here?” Deb asks not doing anything to stop Justin.

 

“I was going to see if Brian wanted to go to breakfast.” He answers, and the look on Justin’s face was just priceless when he looked in my direction.

 

“Hey honey, You're home.” I tell him and I have to admit the silence coming from Michael wasn’t much of a shock. “Michael, did I mention my husband’s a brilliant doctor?” What’s with all the passing out lately? Justin could have caught him, but I think he was just too busy staring at me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Justin walked in, stepping over Michael. Deb grabbed a glass of water and dumped it on Michael. Which seemed to get Justin out of shock, and made him turn to look at Deb and Michael.

 

“What the fuck, Ma?” Michael came to, drenched.

 

“Does he have low blood sugar?” Justin asks her. 

 

“I think it's more along the lines of hoping to wake up and find out he was dreaming. Aren’t you adorable?” Deb tells him. 

 

“Ma, I need some help here.” Michael tells her when she didn’t immediately ignore everyone for him.

 

“Brian, we are going to talk, but right now how about I take Gus with me? Carl’s off so we could take Gus.” She tells me. 

 

“Ma, you can't have Gus around if you expect me to let you see your ONLY grandchild.” He tells her. Which wasn't winning points with Deb.

 

“Hey Gus, how are you?” Justin walks over and starts checking him out. I'm starting to feel neglected.

 

“I'm itchy.” Gus tells him, scratching.

 

“That's normal, but maybe we can put something on it so you don't scratch.” He tells Gus smiling. “Do you have Calamine lotion?” He asks me. 

 

Deb goes running to get it and of course Michael seems to have gotten back up to bitching speed. I'm still waiting for Justin to say something, but he's all about Gus right now.

 

“Gus, I know it itches but it's better to not scratch.” Justin tells Gus, stopping him when he tried to scratch his back.

 

“I HAVE TO!” Gus tells him, bouncing around when Justin catches his hand. Deb hands Justin the lotion.

 

“It would probably be a good idea to give him an oatmeal bath, then put this on.” He tells me. Turning a giggling Gus pink.

 

“Why are we even listening to YOU?” Michael sneeres.

 

“Did you listen? Because if you did you wouldn't be here. You do realize while you seem to want to quarantine everyone else, you seem to think you're immune, or don't care as much as you seem to like whining about.” Justin tells Michael. 

 

“Dad doesn't have a bathtub.” Gus tells Justin.

 

“I do. Do you want to come upstairs and we can help you be less itchy?” Justin asks him. 

 

I want a bath, maybe with a doctor, he could get those hard to reach places.

 

“I think YOU need to leave, because no one here needs your help.” Michael tells Justin, sitting on a chair in the kitchen.

 

“Michael go home.” Deb tells him. 

 

“Since MICHAEL seems to left all his listening devices at home, it's better if he finds somewhere else to go. In case you listen to anything, not the way you seem to listen to the advice I've given you, chickenpox is contagious and can be carried around. Which means all the freaking out you've been doing, which didn't seem to penetrate into the mass of gray we call a brain, should have had you staying away from Gus. How hard is it for you to understand that you are now the danger to everyone you've been trying to convince everyone Gus is?” Justin and sarcasm seem to be intimately related. It's hot.

 

“Like I need to listen to you.” Michael sneers.

 

“Nope, but you know, when your husband is on a ventilator, I'm sure you'll wish you did, because unlike people with normal immune systems, your husband's could change chicken pox into pneumonia. Which unfortunately for him, could kill him, unless that's the goal you were aiming for. Before you try to say just standing in the room won't cause problems, you’re right, but Gus most likely touched things that you don't know about, and you could have touched those same things too.” He tells Michael.

 

“I sat in that chair.” Gus tells Justin. I swear Justin smirked, but he hid it well.

 

“So you’re Brian’s husband?” Ted asks.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Michael asks, looking at me. 

 

“I guess you could say that.” Justin tells him. 

 

“Brian would never marry anyone.” Michael, the voice of authority on all things, comments.

 

“Brian and I need to ask you a favor.” Ted tells Justin, ignoring Michael, who keeps staring at me, I assume to contradict Ted.

 

“Ted I can handle this, but it would help if I could talk to my husband alone.” I tell him. Michael was looking at me as if I said Captain Astro grew a twat.

 

“I think we all should be here to protect you from some gold digger.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Gus, why not come with Grandma, I think you could help me get Uncle Michael’s old bedroom ready for him. Then cookies.” Deb tells Gus.

 

“Why do you need to get my room ready? Brian should be keeping HIS SON here, not letting you take care of him.” Michael tells her.

 

“Well, since Brian was taking care of his son, like he always does, you showing up and making yourself at home, when you should have been home with Ben or at the hospital with your precious daughter, means you're just as big a problem as you seem to think Gus is. So in the interest of saving everyone from your stupidity, you need to stay with me until we know you're not going to be a problem for them.” Deb tells him, grabbing Gus some clothes and then yanking Michael out of the chair.

 

Ted opened the door and helped Deb usher Gus and Michael out. “Brian can you make sure you ask him about the Kelly thing?” Ted asks, but realized by the glare I sent that now was not the time.

 

Justin stood there for a second, but then started cleaning up my loft. When he started putting the food away, I knew it was time to stop him from looking for something to do other than talk to me.

 

“You know it would be nice if we talked.” I tell him.

 

“Other than a divorce, there’s not a whole lot to talk about.” Justin tells me quietly, closing the refrigerator.

 

“We can talk about it, but I have an issue at work, that not getting divorced would help.” I tell him.

 

“Um, why?” He asks me, finally looking at me.

 

“Well it kind of started with telling my clients that I was married, which I am. Which tends to lead to questions about you, so I used that you were a doctor working in a third world country, as the reason they never met you at social functions. Unfortunately, now one of the clients seems to have taken up organizing a charity function for Doctors Without Borders.” I tell him.

 

“Eyeconics?” Justin asks me.

 

“That’s the company, but Kelly invited a few of my other clients.” I tell him.

 

“Shit, you do realize that Kelly will kick your ass if she ever figures out you lied to her.” Justin tells me.

 

“I didn’t lie, we are married… Wait how do you know about Kelly?” I ask him.

 

“Her mother knows mine, so we’ve know each other most of our lives. Which could really be a problem for you, but since she and I haven’t seen each other in years, at least she won’t question too much about why she didn’t hear it from me.” Justin tells me.

 

“How much does she know about where you’ve been? Because I told her your full name and she didn’t even bat an eyelash over it.” I ask him.

 

“But she’s been pushing you to meet me, hasn’t she?” He asks almost laughing.

 

“Only since I mentioned your name, which now explains her constant harassment to meet you.” I tell him.

 

“Especially since she called my mom to see if I was home yet.” He tells me.

 

“Why do I get the feeling she’s messing with me and Ted?” I ask.

 

“She could be, but with Kelly, who knows. I could call her and explain if you wanted me too. Like you said, you never lied, and she does tend to have a sick sense of humor.” He offers to help when he could leave me to burn, and once again I’m wondering if he’s for real.

 

“Or you could help her raise money for a charity, by coming with me.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, we need to figure out what we are going to do about the marriage.” He tells me.

 

“It’s been five years, a couple more weeks won’t kill us.” Am I really saying this?

 

“No, but I mean if you're seeing someone, wouldn’t they get upset?” Justin asks, and that was fishing.

 

“I don’t date, but with other things, I’ve really just not been doing anything with anybody lately.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, I mean it’s not like I had any serious relationships, but I wasn’t exactly celibate either.” He tells me.

 

I almost commented, but then five years without an outlet would have driven me crazy, and other than recently, I wasn’t exactly sitting at home like a good little husband either. 

 

“We can talk about what to do about the marriage after.” I tell him.

 

“I guess so, but I mean, what's there really to talk about. It's not like either of us were serious, at least I don't think we were, but then I really don't remember much past sitting at the table getting drunk as shit.” He tells me. 

 

“You don’t remember any of it?” I ask him.

 

“I thought I dreamed a lot of it, but can I say the dream, or not dream sex, was spectacular.” He tells me smiling.

 

“It's definitely in my top five.” I tell him. 

 

“Really, as your husband I should have been number one.” He laughed. 

 

“It's been five years, so it could be my memory's faulty.” I tell him. 

 

Justin opened his mouth, but the banging on the door interrupted. Glaring at the door, I almost didn't answer, but the Queen can be just as persistent as Michael. I slid it open enough for Emmett to talk, but he just pushed me back and walked in, looking in the living room then the bedroom, seeming to miss the blond standing in the kitchen.

 

“I knew it had to be a joke, but you know Michael, he was acting like a crime against mankind was taking place. He was all “Brian is married” and then saying something about a bottle blond thinking he was going to… Oh… um… hey, I'm Emmett, and you are...?” Emmett asks when he hears Justin snort.

 

“My husband, the doctor.” I tell Emmett.

 

“So Michael wasn’t kidding?” He asks, but really, me saying ‘husband’ should have been a big clue.

 

“Justin this is Emmett, the biggest gossip on Liberty Avenue.” I tell him. 

 

“Please. I only try to be, but Michael has me beat.” Emmett tells Justin. “Are you going to kill me if I accidentally mentioned this to maybe four or five people?” He asks me. 

 

“Good bye Emmett.” I tell him. 

 

“But you haven't given me a chance to get to know the hubby.” He tells me. “But… come on… this is like the most exciting thing we've had in a long time… at least let me invite him out… whatever, Justin give me a call when Brian isn’t around, because honey, I'm sure you need some help with all things Kinney.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Emmett do me a favor and tell everyone not to come here, on your way to gossip.” I tell him, pointing at the door.

 

“I wasn’t planning on gossiping, but hey, is Ted at Kinnetik?... I'm going.” Emmett walks out, grumbling that I'm hurting his street cred by kicking him out.

 

“Anybody I haven't met yet?” Justin asks giggling.

 

“Let's see, there's Smelly Melly. You met Lindsay when you helped with Gus. Which probably will be less than fun when she finds out you're the guy I married. I'm just hoping she's too busy explaining about her time in hetero land to be a problem for you, but with her trying to get me to pretend that I’m the daddy of her ‘Opps we forgot the condom and now I have to explain away the baby’ I’m sure she’s going to be all up my ass.” I tell him.

 

“Wait, Lindsay’s pregnant?” Justin asked, looking concerned.

 

“Yep, got that news when I told her about you. Just so you know, I am not the father this time, but she’s trying to get me to say I am. So if you see a short brunette breathing fire, it’s why.” I tell him.

 

“You know, maybe tents and no air conditioning wasn’t so bad.” He tells me.

 

“I could make a bed and air conditioning sound fantastic.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry, but I’m not that easy, you want me, we go on a date.” He tells me.

 

“Isn’t the whole marriage thing supposed to make you a sure thing?” I ask, because aren’t we past the whole date thing?

 

“Sure if I remembered it, or you know, actually knew you, then yeah, but since I don’t, no. Also while I’m still thinking about this, tell babymama that she needs to tell her obstetrician about Gus’s chicken pox.” He tells me. 

 

“I’m hoping that I don’t have to deal with her, because I’m busy with you.” I tell him.

 

“Yes, but you married a doctor, and my concern for patients tends outshine even a twenty on a scale of ten.” He tells me smiling.

 

“Hey five more points should at least get me some action.” I tell him.

 

Justin walks over to me and pulls my head down, pecking my lips, and really, he thinks he can get away that easily. I pull him to me so he can feel what he’s done and show him part of why he should give the rest a shot. 

 

“Good argument, but not budging on the dating thing.” He tells me, kissing me again.

 

“No argument, just showing you what you're missing by wanting to do the whole date thing.” I whisper.

 

“Call and maybe I’ll reconsider, but unfortunately for us, I have to get my girl.” He tells me, heading for the door.

 

“I kind of thought you realized that you were gay?” I joke.

 

“Callie doesn’t care as long as I bring ice cream.” He tells me leaving.

 

“Hey, does going with me to the charity thing count as a date?” I ask as he walks down the steps.

 

“Nope, because I’m doing you a favor.” He tells me.

 

“Will it get me past first base?” I yell as he disappears.

 

“You are so failing in the husband department.” He yells back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

“Uncle Justy, where we going?” Callie asks, skipping besides me.

 

“To see a friend of mine. She owns a sunglasses company.” I tell her. 

 

“You already have sunglasses.” She tells me. 

 

“I know, but I need to find out why my friend is doing something.” I tell her. 

 

“Do you think I can get Mommy to take that little girl home?” She asks.

 

“Angel, remember when we explained that like Grandma Chandler’s Christmas present, you just have to be happy she got you the ugly sweater. Well, Andy’s what you get, so be happy.” I tell her. 

 

“But the mommies were arguing about where the baby came from. I told them it was because the Pac-Man swallowed the tadpole, but they just ignored me.” She tells me. This was the best explanation a doctor could give a kid? Daphne is going to regret telling Callie the sanitized version one day.

 

“They probably already know where babies come from. Where did you hear them arguing?” I ask her. 

 

“When Daddy and I were waiting in the lobby for you. That little boy’s mommy said Gus’s Daddy out loud. I didn't mean to listen, but they were loud. It scared the baby, and maybe we should have the baby because everyone at our house is nicer.” She tells me, smiling as if it’s the best idea she's had all day. I guess I get to talk to Brian after Kelly.

 

We get to Eyeconics and Kelly was talking to her receptionist. When she turned and saw me, she pulled off her glasses, cleaned them and put them back on.

 

“I was worried about my vision for a second. Justin Taylor, you and I need to have a talk about why I wasn't invited to the wedding.” She tells me, laughing. 

 

“It was spur of the moment, you little girl, need to stop messing with Brian.” I tell her.

 

“You know it must have been, because even your mother hadn’t mentioned it, and really, messing with Brian just makes my day. I was surprised, because Brian tells me he’s married, then when he told me your name and what you do, it took a lot not to pepper him with a million questions. ” She tells me. 

 

“Please tell me you didn't tell my mom, I haven’t really had a chance to explain it to her.” I tell her. 

 

“Nope, but only because I figured you didn't want me to. Really Justin, she’d be thrilled, not like Craig. So you married Kinney, how on earth did that happen?” She asks me leading us to her office.

 

“He just looked too good not to.” Um, lots of drinking?

 

“I could definitely agree with you, but details would be nice.” She tells me. 

 

“Which my Angel being here would make a little difficult.” I tell her, because really I don't remember any of it. 

 

“Not those details.” She tells me. Hey, those I sort of remember, but then is it really possible he was that good?

 

“How about Brian and I meet you for dinner and I'll fill you in.” I tell her, hopefully by then I'll know more.

 

“Mommy said Uncle Justy has lots of explaining to do too.” Callie adds.

 

“Really, you left Daphne out too?” Kelly asks. You know when I was excited that Callie started talking, not so much anymore.

 

“She got married and she and Andrew were busy. I need to get Callie home, so dinner?” I ask her.  

 

“Uncle Justy, you said ice cream.” I love Callie, I really do.

 

“Yep, so I'll have Brian call you about dinner okay.” I tell her. 

 

“Great. By the way, your mom and stepdad were invited to the benefit and I accidentally invited your dad.” She tells me. 

 

“Wow, you really couldn't have planned a better family reunion.” I tried to act like it was great.

 

“Look I could try to get my dad to univite your dad, but it's not like you have to talk to him.” She tells me. 

 

I hugged her, trying to not say what I really think about my father. Who knows, maybe the fact that Brian’s in business will make dad happy, even I know that was a stupid thought.

 

On my way back to the apartment, I call my hubby.

 

“Hello?” A woman answers.

 

I look and my phone says I called Brian. “Hi, I was trying to reach Brian.” I tell her. 

 

“Can I get your name?” She asks. 

 

“Justin. Tell him it's his doctor.” I tell her.

 

“Shit, is he all right, he promised everything was fine?” She sounded worried.  

 

“Maybe just tell him it's his husband.” I tell her, because she seemed really upset.

 

“His WHAT?” She asks loudly.

 

“Is he available?” I ask instead.

 

“Yes he is, hold on.” She tells me. 

 

BRIAN 

 

Deb dropped Gus off, so he and I were playing a computer game, which was more fun than the shitty boards that I wanted to fire the art department for, when Cynthia walks in.

 

“You forgot your phone on my desk when Guster came in, before I give it to you, who is Justin?” She asks, holding onto the phone.

 

“Is he on the phone?” I ask, hoping not to have her make me explain.

 

“Yes he is, and at first he told me he was your doctor, which scared the hell out of me, and then he says husband, is there something you forgot to mention to me?” She asks, not really asking.

 

“I got married a five years ago and my husband’s every mother’s dream for their unwed child.” I tell her, hoping she’ll drop the questions.

 

“Dad, you're married?” Gus asks. 

 

“You can explain how you didn’t tell even Gus later, but make sure I get to meet him.” She tells me handing me the phone.

 

“So calling to change your mind?” I ask him.

 

“Nope, still requiring a date, but hey we can call dinner tonight with Kelly a date. There was something else though.” He tells me, and all I heard was Justin arranged our first date. 

 

“I’m not wearing a dress, just because I’m a doctor’s wife.” I joke.

 

“Please tell me you wouldn’t anyway, but actually I was wondering if you had time to talk?” He ask me.

 

I look at the computer where instead of working, Gus and I are killing zombies with mutant plants. “We could meet for lunch?” I tell him.

 

“Where? It needs to be kid friendly because I have my friend’s daughter with me.” He tells me.

 

“So I get to meet the child of the infamous video on the creation of life?” I ask him.

 

“She got rid of it when Callie learned how to use her phone, but yep.” He tells me.

 

“Where are you?” I ask him.

 

“I just left Kelly’s office and we are headed towards the apartment.” He tells me.

 

“How about I order here at Kinnetik and you can come here?” I ask him.

 

“Sounds good, hey, why does it list a bathhouse and Kinnetik as the same address?” He asks me.

 

“Where are you looking?” I ask him.

 

“I was using my other phone, I have one for work and one for personal.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll explain when you get here, what do you like to eat?” I ask him.

 

“Anything for me, but Callie likes chicken as long as it no longer resembles chicken.” He tells me.

 

I hang up and tell Gus we are having lunch with Justin. He seems to like Justin a lot, so that just made my life easier. I called and ordered from a deli to get it delivered, and apparently the disguising of chicken with lots of breading is all the rage with the kid set. Cynthia and Ted were in the lobby as if waiting for royalty to appear, my glare did absolutely nothing to either of them. I saw Justin standing outside hugging, Blake?

 

“Ted, explain that.” I growl, because really, is it necessary for Justin to smile like that at Blake?

 

“I don’t know, and really, why is Blake looking at Justin like that?” Ted growls with me.

 

“Holy shit, are you two really jealous?” Cynthia ask us.

 

Blake comes running in smiling with a giggling little girl running behind him. Justin comes in smiling too. They both seem to stop when they look at Ted and I.

 

“Ted, I want you to meet Justin.” Blake says, looking at Ted who seemed less cheerful at how cheerful Blake was.

 

“How do you know each other?” Cynthia asks when neither of us said a word.

 

“It was when I went into rehab for real, Justin was an intern who I stumbled into, and he got me treatment. He kept checking on me, to make sure I stayed.” He tells us and Ted and I smile again.

 

“I’m just so glad you worked it out. When I called the hospital to check, they told me you made it and now you're helping others, it was the best news I got that day.” Justin tells him.

 

“I wanted to do for others what you did for me.” He tells Justin.

 

“I didn’t do anything but check on you and see that you were holding on.” Justin tells him.

 

“That’s a big thing. When I did rehab, I didn’t have anyone left to check on me.” Ted tells Justin.

 

“I have lunch ready if you are done with the reunion.” I tell Justin.

 

“Blake, call me and we can get together sometime.” Justin tells Blake.

 

“Don’t worry because Blake and Ted are coming to dinner tonight.” I tell Ted.

 

“You know, using Blake to distract Kelly is not the way I saw my night going.” Ted tells me.

 

“Uncle Justy who’s that?” Callie asks him pointing at me.

 

“That’s Brian, Gus’s dad.” He tells her.

 

“And Uncle Justy’s husband.” I tell her.

 

“Uncle Justy?” She asks, for what I’m not sure.

 

“Yes, but ask him first.” He tells her.

 

She walks over to me. “I like hugs, do you?” She asks me.

 

I squat down and open my arms. She jumps on me and knocks us over then kisses my cheek. “So are you my Uncle too, like my Daddy’s brother?” She asks as we get up.

 

“Callie, how about we eat first then you can interrogate him all you want.” Justin tells her tickling her.

 

I have them follow me, but the minute Callie see Gus on the computer she runs over to see what he’s doing then the two of them share a chair and Gus explains how to play to her. Justin grabs the lunch for the kids and clears an area so they can eat. He pulls out a phone and snaps a picture, sending it before turning to me.

 

“With them distracted, we need to decide what to tell Kelly, because I sort of managed to evade a lot, but that won’t happen if she has us at the dinner table. There’s something Callie overheard that you might need to know too.” He tells me.

 

We sit on the couches and I hand him the pasta I ordered for us. “What did you tell Kelly about us?” I ask him.

 

“That we married spur of the moment.” He tells me.

 

“Stick to it, when we left Daphne and Andrew, you saw a Beatles inspired chapel and told me that you loved “The Yellow Submarine” so we got married there. You decided that I needed to play a slot because it would determine if we would be happy, being drunk it sounded like a great thing to you. We won and then it was all wedding night until I left in the morning. Maybe we can make it sound like we visited or at least stayed in contact.” I tell him.

 

“I leave it to you to give the details. The other thing, Callie overheard Gus’s mom arguing about a baby and you were mentioned.” He tells me.

 

“So, once again she thinks I’m going to roll over and handle the fallout. I hope she’s ready to deal with this shit herself, because I won’t have Mel all over my ass about this.” I tell him.

 

“Dad, I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to tell Mama that mom’s pregnant.” Gus tells me looking worried.

 

“When did you tell Mama?” I ask him.

 

“At Grandma Debs, Mama called to make sure I was doing okay. I asked her about mom having another baby. I didn’t know we weren’t supposed to tell her.” He tells me.

 

“Gus, you never have to keep a secret from any of your parents. I want you to always feel like you can talk to us. Mama was going to find out anyway, Mom and I should have not talked about in front of you.” I tell him.

 

“So you're not mad at me?” He asks me.

 

“Sonny boy, nothing could make me really mad. I might not like something you do or decide to do, but we’re a team.” I tell him.

 

“Callie said that Justin and you are married.” Gus tells me. “So is he like my dad too?” He asks smiling.

 

Out of the mouths of babes.

 

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Justin told me that I get to call Kelly about dinner, since he's willing to call it a date, then I'm willing to get Cynthia to arrange it. It only took snapping my fingers four times to get her to stop staring at Justin like he might disappear. 

 

Apparently where he was there wasn’t time to play on the computer, so when Gus dragged ‘Daddy’ to the computer, Justin seemed to forget everything else. I grabbed the boards and started writing changes, when Callie came and sat next to me.

 

“Why are you writing on the picture?” She asks me. 

 

“They aren't what I wanted.” I tell her. 

 

“Oh, I thought because they weren't pretty.” She tells me. 

 

“They aren't, that's my job, to make them into something better.” I tell her. 

 

“Uncle Justy likes to draw, he's really good, but told me he wanted to be a doctor because they save people.” She tells me. “Uncle Justy, maybe you could draw it so Uncle Brian doesn't write on it.” She tells him. 

 

“Angel, I just draw for fun.” He tells her, then mumbles that the points on the game need to go up faster.

 

“He's really competitive.” She tells me. 

 

When I threw the boards on the table, Justin got up and looked down, wrinkling his nose at them.

 

“My thoughts exactly.” I tell him. 

 

Before Justin could say anything else, Lindsay comes running in past Cynthia. 

 

“Brian, look I couldn’t tell Mel.” She tells me but then looks at Justin. “Oh, sorry, but why are you here, is Gus okay?” She asks him. 

 

“Sorry Brian, she got past me before I could stop her.” Cynthia tells me.

 

“Can you take Callie and Gus to see Ted?” I ask her.

 

“Maybe he could go with them, I need to talk to you alone.” Lindsay tells me, looking down her nose at Justin.

 

I wait until Cynthia gets the kids out and turn to see what she could possibly think she’s going to accomplish, after I already told her no.

 

“Really Justin, this is something that Brian and I need to talk about alone.” Lindsay really thinks she’s going to get me alone and I’ll suddenly change my mind.

 

“Justin stays, because right now he’s part of my life.” I tell her.

 

“Jesus, first you run around saying you're married and now you're tricking again.” She tells me, but I have a feeling it was for Justin’s benefit.

 

“Lindsay, what did you not understand about I’m not taking the blame for this?” I ask her, ignoring everything else.

 

“Brian, I need you to do this or Mel will leave me again.” She tells me.

 

“It’s the bed you laid yourself in, not my problem.” I tell her, as Mel comes in, looking exhausted. 

 

Cynthia stood there trying to figure out what to do. I waved her off.

 

Justin walked over to Mel and made her sit down in a chair that Gus hadn’t been in. 

 

“Are you okay?” He asks her.

 

“Justin, wasn’t it.” She asks him looking confused.

 

“Yeah, how’s your daughter doing?” He asks checking her over.

 

“She good, I left her with Ben and Hunter.” She tells Justin like he knew them, and I guess he knows her.

 

“Mel, did you drive here?” Justin asks her.

 

“I was careful.” She tells him, and I wanted to ask who the woman in the chair was.

 

“I know your doctor probably told you not to drive, and there is a reason they tell you.” He tells the sweet biddable, Mel?

 

“Mel, you should have stayed home in bed with Jenny.” Lindsay chastises her.

 

“And I would have, if I didn’t want to know what the hell you and Brian were doing.” She’s back.

 

“Look I was jealous and did something stupid.” Lindsay tells her and you know I shouldn’t have expected her to tell the truth, but I did. “I went to the clinic and got them to get me pregnant again, so Brian didn’t really know until I told him recently.” She tells her.

 

Justin looked at me and I shook my head. Lindsay is really in a class all on her own at making up all sorts of shit. I think she should remember that Mel had my sample destroyed, most likely to keep this from happening. 

 

“Lindsay, I want the truth, because none of the lies you’ve been telling are working this time.” Mel tells her.

 

I didn’t expect that one.

 

“Why would I lie to you?” Lindsay just can’t accept defeat.

 

“I don’t know, but obviously you don’t want to tell me the truth, which isn’t making me think the best right now. Don’t come home until you can.” Mel tells her, getting up to almost fall to the floor.

 

Justin caught her. I really admire the upper arm strength. “Mel did you eat anything today?” Justin asks her.

 

“I just got home, and decided stupidly to see if I could get the truth from Lindsay.” She tells him.

 

I hand her the rest of my pasta salad when Justin was looking for something for her to eat. Mel tries to turn it down but Justin seems to have her number.

 

“You are a brand new mother who needs to the food in order for your body to produce the milk your child needs. So eat this or I’m going to personally feed it to you. Then either I am or someone else is going to drive you home. Do you understand that I’m not giving you a choice. I can come with you and check on that beautiful little girl if you want me to.” He tells her, smiling the whole time. Shit, I’m kind of worried when Mel seems to maybe fall in love at his bedside manner.

 

“Where am I supposed to go?” Lindsay asks like anybody cares right now.

 

“Maybe spend some time with Lynette, since you and she have never figured out how to tell anyone the truth about anything.” Mel snaps.

 

“I’ll just stay with Brian until you stop acting like this.” She tells her, smiling to herself at the thought.

 

“Find somewhere else, because the loft isn’t available.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, are you going to seriously put me and the baby on the street.” Like we all know she won’t just go see Mummy and Daddy.

 

“Don’t, Lindsay. I’ll keep Gus, but NOT you.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay leaves, yelling for Gus. When Mel starts to get up Justin tells her to stay and tilts his head for me to deal with it. Why do I feel trained; because instead of balking, I run out the door.

 

“Lindsay, you’re leaving Gus here. You need to fix this before you start moving him all over the place.” I tell her.

 

“How could you not help me?” She was leaking tears and it just wasn’t working this time.

 

“Your life doesn’t outweigh mine anymore. I have a marriage to consider, and standing in front of my husband lying just doesn’t build confidence that I’m worth his time. Think about that, since Mel is supposed to be the love of your life.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay looked at Justin and then at me. “Are you kidding me?” She asks, trying to go back in the room.

 

“Do not go in there and embarrass yourself.” I tell her.

 

She yanked her arm away and stomped off. I was just exhausted at this point and realized I still had to get through dinner and God only knew what next. I felt an arm around my waist and Justin leading me to the couch.

 

“Look, I’m going to take Mel home, check on the baby and then I’ll take Gus and Callie with me to your place. So finish what you're doing and go take a nap.” Justin tells me. 

 

“I can take the kids home and…” 

 

“No, because I was going to let them run their little legs off at the park first so they can nap. I’ll call my sister and see if she can come watch the kids tonight. Daphne and Andrew are bringing Andy home today and I think Callie is still resistant to the idea, so this is helping everyone.” He tells me, and I get why Mel is so, not Mel. He makes everything sound like we are being unreasonable.

 

After they leave I pack up and head home. I had told Justin I didn’t need a nap, which would have been more believable if I hadn’t fallen in bed, straight to sleep.

 

JUSTIN

 

Mel just seemed to almost deflate when I put her in my car. Blake offered to drive her car home and then ride back with me. I really didn’t expect her to say anything but it was like a dam opened and flooded the car.

 

“I just don’t know why she can’t tell me the truth. I screwed up once, and if that was all it was for her then I can deal with it. Maybe I’m lying though, because I could deal with another woman but another man, I just don’t know. How am I going to deal with a child from an affair, because that’s what this is. I want to say it’s okay, but right now I’m too angry that instead of the truth she keeps trying to lie about it.” She stared out the window the whole time with tears.

 

“Mel, you have a baby that will feel the stress if you keep worrying about this. Right now the only thing you need to do is hold your daughter and rest, all of it will still be there to worry about after.” I tell her, because she really shouldn’t be this stressed out after a having a baby.

 

“How do I deal with all of this? I’m the one who takes care of everything.” She tells me.

 

I park in front of the house she pointed at and really, what could I say. It’s not like I get why Lindsay seems to think telling the truth is any worse that all the stories she seem to be making up. Blake was on the phone when he got out of the car and I refrained from telling him how many accidents come through the ER for that reason alone. 

 

“I waited to call until I got here.” He smirks at me, motioning toward the phone.

 

“I’m not saying anything.” I tell him.

 

“I could see it in your eyes.” He tells me. “Mel, Ben and Hunter are coming over to hang out and make sure you don’t do too much.” He tells her.

 

“They don’t have to.” I could tell she wasn’t really upset at them coming over.

 

“They want to, Ben said with Michael being stuck at Deb’s for a couple days, that it freed up all his time. Which I almost asked, but managed to hold my tongue, if he was married to or raising Michael.” Blake tells us.

 

“I would say raising because the man has some serious issues.” I tell them, and they both stare for a second at me.

 

“How many times did it take you to figure that out?” Blake ask seriously.

 

“The minute he started spazzing over Gus.” I tell him.

 

They both end up laughing, but hey, if Mel can laugh than she’s not crying. I smile and take her in the house while Blake runs to the kitchen and makes her some lunch. Looking at the pictures, I smile at one of Brian, sleeping with a baby on top of him.

 

“That was just after Gus was born.” Mel tells me.

 

“He looks like he’s comfortable being a father.” I tell her, sitting next to her.

 

“He loves Gus more than anyone in the world.” She tells me almost surprising herself that she said it.

 

“I could see that, are you going to be alright?” I ask her.

 

“The guys will probably mother me until I scream, but yeah. Um, why were you at Brian’s office?” She asks.

 

“I’m kind of his husband.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, are you okay.” Blake came out to see why she’s practically hysterical.

 

“He… just… just… said… he’s… married… to... Brian.” She gets out between convulsions of laughter.

 

“Mel, he is.” Blake tells her and she stopped.

 

“You are either the bravest man in the world or going for sainthood.” She tells me then starts giggling.

 

“Thanks, I think.” I tell her.

 

Ben and Hunter show up and I check Jenny, who was just beautiful, and leave Mel with my number in case she needs me. Getting the kids and running them ragged worked, because I carried to sleeping kids to the elevator and used the key Ted handed me to get in. I laid them down on the floor cushions and went in to check on Brian, who didn’t seem to have gotten any further than falling on the bed.

 

It was almost like we were married when I pulled off the shoes and got his coat off. I smiled that I could still do it without waking up the person. Looking through the cabinets, I call Molly and ask her to get some things for the loft and to see if she could watch the kids tonight. My sister, ever the brat, agreed only after complaining that I never call unless I want her to be my slave. So I made a joke, that opening the loft door meant dealing with my mom sooner than planned. I know how juvenile it was, but Mollusk brings out the kid, I stuck out my tongue.

 

“So Justin, is there some reason you didn’t tell me you were married?” My mom asks.

 

You think I could pretend the door closed itself? Nah, me neither.

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 7 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I tried to smile my way out of trouble, it used to work. Mollusk smirked and grabbed the bags and shoved them at me.

 

“Justin, are you really going to stand there as if I didn't ask you a question?” Mom asks in her famous WASP voice.

 

“Hey, Callie’s here… it's kind of a long story. I wanted to wait until I figured out what to do.” I tell her when she didn’t react to Callie being here.

 

“Explain.” 

 

I wasn't going to lie to my mom, but I could see she was questioning my IQ as I explained what was going on. She took it well, but I knew she had questions.

 

“Justin, five years?” She asks. 

 

“I didn’t figure it out until the plane took off. Then I wasn’t really planning to get married again so I just didn’t do anything about it.” I tell her. 

 

“When do I meet this husband?” She asks me. 

 

“He's sleeping, so maybe later?” I ask, knowing she wasn't going to budge until she met him.

 

I was saved by my phone, but the number didn’t look familiar. Pretending it was a patient I ran to the bathroom.

 

“Hello?” I ask.

 

“Hey its Deb, I needed to ask you about adult chickenpox.” She tells me. How did she get this number?

 

“Who has it, and did they have it before?” I ask, since she at least called for a reason. 

 

“My idiot son, but he had it as a kid. He had blisters all over his ass.” She tells me and really I did good, not a laugh or snort, but my God it was hard.

 

“Keep him in a dark room, I'd offer to come over, but I get the feeling he wouldn’t appreciate it. It's likely shingles because he’s had it before, and if he plans on more children, it might not happen.” I tell her. 

 

“Honey, after this child, I doubt any woman is going to ask him again. Should we take him to the doctor?” She asks. 

 

“It wouldn’t hurt, but he's going to have to stay away from the baby and husband.” I tell her. 

 

“His son too.” She tells me. 

 

“Did his son not have it?” I ask. 

 

“Hunter is positive too.” She tells me, and shit, that's not something any kid should get.

 

“I can come over if you want me to.” I tell her, maybe it will give me time to think of a way to explain to Mom that I need her to pretend she’s kept this a secret at the benefit. 

 

“I can handle it, I just wanted to talk to you.” She tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask her.

 

“Brian needs someone in his life, and I hope you’ll give him a chance to prove to you that he’s really a good man. He’s been alone too long and I want him to be happy.” She tells me.

 

I sit on the counter because she really seems worried about him.”We really don’t know each other, it was too much booze and silly ideas. I can say that I hope we can be friends, but I just don’t see how to make a marriage work with someone I really don’t know.” I tell her.

 

“Trust me, past the tough exterior is a man who loves deeply, when you know him, you love him.” She tells me. I kind of love her for caring so much for him.

 

“We’re going on a date tonight, so we’ll see.” I tell her.

 

“Make him talk, he spends too much time in his head.” She tells me.

 

“So far he seems to talk without me having to do much, but please, don’t be upset if this doesn’t work out.” I tell her.

 

“I’m voting for you and Brian.” She tells me, hanging up.

 

I wonder if he knows how much that woman loves him. I get up and walk out to see Brian isn’t in bed, but sitting at the kitchen table with my mom. Shit, she’s going to turn this into an inquisition.

 

“So you and Justin thought getting married would be fun?” Mom asks, laughing? How did he get her to laugh at this?

 

“We were just kidding around, but since we tied the knot, we decided to wait until he came home to see if we wanted this to work.” Brian the liar, tells her, and hey I told her the truth, so you’re an idiot.

 

“Justin, why were you hiding that you and Brian at least wanted to try?” She asks and what, now I’m the liar?

 

“I just didn’t want to get your hopes up.” I tell her lamely.

 

“Well, I called Daphne and she said I could take Callie with me, and Brian was sweet enough to allow me time with my new grandson. So I’ll talk to YOU in the morning.” She tells me.

 

“Daddy, is this your mommy?” Gus really, don’t get her hopes up.

 

“Yes I am, and you can call me Nana.” Mom tells Gus.

 

“NANA!” Callie comes running to my mom. 

 

Callie and my mom were skype buddies and you know, my mom actually sent things that interested Callie.

 

“Guess what, your staying with us.” Molly tells her.

 

Which had Callie dragging them out the door with Gus. I stopped him and checked him, so far other than a couple spots on is back and under his arms he wasn’t breaking out.

 

“Justin, I’ve dealt with chickenpox twice, so it will be fine. It’s like he can’t remember that I helped him through it.” Mom tells Brian.

 

“Mom, I just wanted to make sure he was okay. If not, Kelly can wait.” I tell her, wincing when she honed in on Kelly.

 

“Did everyone know but me?” She looked hurt.

 

“No, it’s just Brian happened to mention me to Kelly and well I didn’t realize it was the Kelly I knew.” I tell her.

 

“It was my fault, I should have told Justin to at least tell you, but like I said we didn’t want to make a big deal out of this if we realized we weren’t going to stay married.” Brian tells her.

 

I can’t believe my mother is falling for this, I’ve never been able to lie to her. It’s like he just sold her on what she wanted to believe was true. Which is probably how he’s so successful.

 

“Have you mentioned to Brian about Grandpa?” She asks me.

 

“No, but you know we really haven’t talked a lot yet.” I tell her, hoping she’ll just leave before she tells Brian my life story.

 

“Grandpa is going to expect you two to visit.” That was a command. 

 

“I was planning to see him soon.” I tell her.

 

“Plan on sooner, because I’m not keeping this from my father.” She tells me.

 

They walk out and I turn to face the man who just landed himself in the middle of my family. Grandpa Marston was not to be ignored. On the good side, he’ll just love Brian.

 

“You do realize that I told her the truth, because if I did what you did, it would mean you meet my Grandfather, who will have you and I in the hot seat, most likely as soon as his jet lands in Pittsburgh.” I tell him.

 

“Who the hell is your Grandfather?” He asks.

 

“Didn’t you have me investigated?” I ask him, because my Grandfather will have an entire file most likely.

 

“I just asked to find out where you were, other than that, not really. I wasn’t thinking past the divorce.” He tells me.

 

“You like football?” I ask him.

 

“I’m not a rabid fan, but I can watch it.” He tells me.

 

“Study it like your life depends on it.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks.

 

“Grandpa owns the Ironmen and well, kind of half of Pittsburgh.” I tell him.

 

“Your Warren Marston’s grandson?” He kind of fell back in the chair.

 

“We call him Grampy but you might want to stick to Mr Marston, until he decides if he likes you. Molly and I are his only grandkids.” I tell him.

 

“We are never getting divorced.” He tell me.

 

BRIAN

 

We got ready to go to dinner, but the whole time all I could think was my business would be dead if I pissed off his grandfather. Justin told me that we need to tell Grampy the truth because it wouldn’t be wise to lie to a man who can buy and sell most of the world. How did I end up marrying an heir to a fortune?

 

“Justin, we need to get a post agreement. I won’t be accused of marrying you for money.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you even acting like we’ve made a decision?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t like the idea that anyone would think I didn’t earn what I made.” I tell him.

 

“Look, when we make a decision, then we’ll worry about you being a gold digger, but really, I live off what I make, not my grandfather.” He tells me.

 

Kelly was waiting when we got there and really did she have to hug Justin like they were attached at the hip. 

 

“It must be wonderful to have your husband home.” She gushes at me.

 

“It’s different.” I tell her.

 

“Sorry we’re late.” Ted and Blake come to the table.

 

“Ted, great to see you. Blake come sit next to me.” Kelly and her girl crush on Blake.

 

“So, since we are all here, why not tell me how you met?” She asks Justin and I.

 

“I saw Brian at the college right before I graduated and well we just kind of dated for a while, then Vegas seemed as good as any place to get married.” Justin tells her, and what happened to sticking to the truth as much as possible?

 

“Justin, you really should just lie so it sounds romantic.” She tells him laughing.

 

“Okay, he sat at a table, got drunk with me and we eloped, spent years yearning from afar and now know it was love, ten shots of tequila later.” And you know, without the love part, it’s the truth. 

 

“Never mind, you were always stingy with details. Have you told Brian about your father is coming to the benefit? I’m still pissed that my dad made me invite him.” She tells Justin.

 

“My Grandpa is coming soon, so Dad will be on his best behavior.” Justin tells her.

 

“Oh hell, my dad is going to be praying your grandfather doesn’t get pissed Craig is there.” Kelly starts to look a bit worried. “Have you met Warren Marston?” She asks, as Ted spews water all over the table. I guess Ted is going to hyperventilate.

 

“Not yet, but Jen seems to think I will soon.” I tell them, and Ted’s never turned that particular shade of gray before.

 

 


Chapter 8 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

After dinner with Kelly, who is most likely calling her dad, Blake seemed to get Ted to stop trying to find a paper bag. It's always strange the way people react to Grampy. 

 

“Ted, he's really not that bad.” Blake tells him. 

 

“Wait, how do you know him?” Ted asked.

 

“He came by the hospital a lot when Justin was an intern. I met him a few times.” Blake tells us. 

 

“Grampy was most likely making sure Blake didn’t fail, he hates underachieving.” I tell them. 

 

“He's going to love you.” Ted tells Brian.

 

Brian didn’t say anything, but opened his car door. I got in but he seemed to be, as Deb said ‘in his head.’ “Are you really worried about meeting him, he doesn't bite?” I ask him. 

 

“He either likes me or he doesn't.” Brian tells me. 

 

“As long as you don't kiss his ass you'll be fine. What is really bothering you?” I ask him, taking Deb's advice.

 

“My past isn’t going to be all wine and roses. I come from a shitty upbringing and clawed my way out. I am most likely the poster child for what not to do.” He tells me. 

 

“And?” I ask.

 

“Just don’t be surprised if your grandfather doesn’t have divorce papers waiting for us to sign.” He tells me. 

 

“He's never tried to interfere in any of my decisions, because he knows me well enough to know that I'll tell him to kiss my ass.” I tell him. “Can we stop at Mel's, I need to make sure she's resting?” I ask him. 

 

“Do you think your mother would mind if we stopped to check on Gus?” He asks. “I've never let him stay with people before.” He tells me worried.

 

“She won't care.” I tell him. 

 

Brian drove us to Mel's and Hunter answered. He had the ‘Women’ look on his face. “Welcome to hormone central.” He tells us. 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin walked straight in and right to Mel, who was sniffling. I just stayed back because you just don't screw with someone who can't fight back. 

 

“Did Deb tell you about Michael?” Ben asks, holding Jenny.

 

“Is he giving Mel shit?” I ask.

 

“No, but I think he's finally understanding what Justin apparently tried to tell him. He's got shingles.” Hunter seemed to think it was funny.

 

“Deb told us no Sunday dinner for a while.” Ben tells me. 

 

“So what's with Blondie over there?” Hunter asks, like Emmett hasn't told everyone by now.

 

“Mel, Jenny doesn't hate you, but she is feeling the stress your body's broadcasting.” Justin tells her, holding the bundle of crying Mel.

 

“All she does is cry when I hold her, Lindsay was supposed to be here to help.” She tells him sobbing louder. 

 

“Brian, can you get her some decaf tea?” Justin asks.

 

“I'll get it.” Ben tells him handing me Jenny.

 

I look at Jenny, who I can tell is deciding whether to wail like daddy or not, when she farted I figured we were golden. So I started showing her the sights in muncher haven.

 

“See, she's even nice to him.” Mel tells him wailing.

 

“Mel, it's because he's not stressed out like you are. Why not go in the kitchen, calm down, then I'll help you with her.” He tells her and she listened. I get why he chose to be a doctor, because it was that or snake charmer.

 

Justin looked over to Hunter. “What?” Hunter asks, looking uncomfortable.

 

“If I'm prying tell me, but are you doing okay?” Justin asks him. 

 

“Yeah, why?” Hunter asks.

 

“Deb told me about you.” Justin tells him and Hunter got that shitty, defensive attitude he gets when he feels like he's being judged.

 

“So what, you think a rent boy will infect a baby?.” He sneers at Justin.

 

“No, I think you would protect that baby with your life. I just wanted to know if you're comfortable with your doctor and taking your meds.” He tells Hunter, who is still not sure of Justin.

 

“Ben would kick my ass if I didn't take the fifty pills a day. My doctor’s like all of them, you know, not surprised that I'm a soon to be AIDS victim.” He tells us.

 

“Hunter, he just doesn't have a great bedside manner.” Ben tells us, walking back in.

 

“He's a dick.” Hunter tells Ben.

 

“Hunter some doctors just don’t get to know their patients.” Ben tells him. 

 

“Like Hunter said, some are dicks, but my best friend isn't.” Justin tells them.

 

“Trolling for the insurance?” Hunter asks.

 

“Nope, just offering you a chance with a doctor who’ll see you, not a disease. It's up to you if you want to keep seeing someone who makes you uncomfortable.” Justin tells him. 

 

“Why do you even care?” Hunter asks. 

 

“Because I can see you're close to not caring.” Justin tells him, not kindly.

 

“Hunter?” Ben asks, really looking at him, and we all saw what Michael and Ben were ignoring.

 

“Shit, you and Michael want me to pretend that I don't have this doomsday device ticking in my body. It's all, go to school. It doesn’t matter that people treat me like crap, since I deserve it for peddling my ass for food. You made it easy for me to quit caring.” Hunter tells him, crying.

 

“No one deserves to get hurt. You did what you did to survive.” Justin tells Hunter. “How the hell could you let your kid do that?” Justin glared at Ben. 

 

“Ben met Hunter when Hunter offered his ass. Instead, Ben fed him and cleaned him up.” I tell him.

 

“Oh, sorry, I'm a bit judgemental when I think a parent wasn't taking care of their kids. You need to listen to him when he says that school is getting impossible. The world just isn’t as accepting as you seem to think. There are alternatives to him riding it out in a place that sounds like hell.” Justin tells Ben. 

 

“Like what, quarantine my ass with the other HIV rent boys?” Hunter asks, because he's reacting like, I would have reacted when I was his age, Justin seems too good to be true.

 

“You might want to knock that chip off your shoulder, because otherwise Daphne will when you meet her, but an environment where you want to learn because you're not being shit on all day would probably be easier. There’s a night school for kids who don’t want to deal with assholes bullying them. It was set up by a teacher who didn’t like the way the school system seems to ignore the shit that happens.” Justin tells us.

 

“How would you even know that?” Hunter asks him.

 

“Being a gay teen is close to HIV in the eyes of assholes. She kept me from dropping out and I paid for her to start the school.” Justin tells him. “Look, think about it and call Daphne in a few days, she’ll at least make sure you're doing okay if nothing else.” Justin tells him handing him a card from his wallet.

 

After checking on Mel, and getting Jenny to not scream at Mel, we were off. I looked at the man I married, wondering how he seems to notice everything.

 

“It comes with being a doctor, people lie because they’re embarrassed to tell the truth, you learn to read between the lines.” He tells me, and yeah, he’s good.

 

Giving me instructions to his mom’s house, we get there and Jen was waiting for us.

 

“Don’t worry, I know what it’s like when your baby is somewhere else that you can’t see.” Jen tells us.

 

“Hey Tuck, everything going okay?” Justin asks a guy that’s young enough to be an older brother.

 

“Yeah, but Gus seems to want to know if he should call me Grandpa.” Tuck tells him laughing.

 

“Hey, you married the cougar.” Justin tells him.

 

“Go Mom.” I whisper to Jen.

 

We get upstairs and Gus and Callie are in a tent on the floor sound asleep. I crawled in and kissed my sonny boy, who was smiling in his sleep. 

 

“Do you want to stay tonight?” Jen ask Justin.

 

“No, I need to get to the hospital in a couple hours, Brian just wanted to check on Gus.” Justin tells her.

 

“Honey you just got back, couldn’t you take a couple days off?” She asks, sounding like a mother we all wanted.

 

“It’s only from two till eight, I can come for breakfast.” He tells her and I guess she’s used to this with him.

 

“Brian, Tucker and I were going to take Callie out for a fun day, do you mind if we take Gus?” She asks.

 

“Which means, ‘Brian, we are taking Gus’.” Justin tells me smiling.

 

“You can meet us for dinner tomorrow, my father wants you and Justin here.” She tells me and I have a feeling that wasn’t really an offer, but a command.

 

Justin crawls in to check Gus over and seems to like what he’s seeing. Then kisses Mom and pulls me out of the house.

 

“Can you drop me off at the hospital? I need to make sure I’m updated on everything before I start.” He tells me.

 

“You work tonight?” I ask, because when does he sleep?

 

“Yes, why?” He asks me looking confused.

 

“You’ve been up all day, apparently trying to save everyone, and now you're going to work?” I ask. 

 

“It comes with being on for days at a time, you power nap.” He tells me.

 

“I was hoping to maybe get to know each other.” I tell him, wondering where that came from.

 

“I’m here and we have time, but you need to understand that sometimes work is going to interfere in my life, and accept it. Otherwise, there’s no point in getting to know each other.” He tells me, jumping out when I get the entrance of the hospital.

 

Leaning in, he kissed me, and I watch him walking in. I sat there for a couple minutes thinking that being a doctor’s husband isn’t all tea parties. I got home and didn’t do anything but shower and pass out. My energy levels still haven’t evened out yet, maybe I’ll let my doctor check me out.

 

I got to my office and notice Ted seems to be breathing into a bag in the breakroom. Which would be normal but that usually happens after talking to me. He looked up and started inhaling violently.

 

“Ted, calm the hell down.” Cynthia tells him, handing him coffee.

 

“We worked so hard and now it’s all going to blow up in our faces.” Ted tells her then starts using the bag again.

 

“Brian, go to your office. You have a visitor who seems to think you need to talk to him.” Cynthia tells me when she notices me standing there.

 

I didn’t even ask, because Mikey’s most likely there to raise hell. Walking in, it’s not Mikey.

 

“Brian Kinney, have a seat, we need to talk about my grandson.” Mother freaking hell, Warren didn’t waste anytime.

 

“Normally I’m the one offering you a seat.” I tell him.

 

“Three Million.” He tells me.

 

“And?” I ask him.

 

“You divorce Justin and it’s yours.” He tells me.

 

“No thanks.” I tell him.

 

“Five.” He tells me.

 

“Sorry, but no one pays me off.” I tell him.

 

“Ten.” 

 

“You can leave if that’s the only thing you're here for.” I tell him.

 

“Nope, but impressed so far, so sell me on Brian Kinney.” He tells me.

 

“I only sell campaigns.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll give you three of mine, you give me one reason not to believe you're after my grandson for what he’ll get one day.” He tells me.

 

“Right now I’m not even sure we’re staying married. If you need me to sign all rights away for anything Justin owns or will own, get me the paper and pen.” I tell him, not liking the way he’s trying to buy me.

 

“I don’t make those decisions for Justin. I just wanted to see if you were really the man my file says you are.” He tells me.

 

“I won’t apologize for the way I live my life.” I tell him.

 

“No apologies, no regrets?” He asks me.

 

“Exactly.” 

 

“Good, because even though I love Justin, he needs someone to stop his heal the world agenda.” He tells me. Why do I feel like he’s still testing me?

 

“I doubt anybody could stop him from doing what he wants, and truthfully I’d end this if he couldn’t hold his own.” I tell him.

 

“So you fell in love?” He asks me.

 

“Not yet, but who knows Mr Marston.” I tell him, Justin said he likes honesty and that’s all Warren’s getting from me.

 

“Call me Warren for now. Know anywhere we could get a greasy breakfast? I want one before Justin catches me.” He tells me winking.

 

“I’ve got just the place, although the clientele can be colorful.” I warn him.

 

“Can you get Theodore to come too? You picked well with that one. Maybe have Justin change his asthma medication though, because I’ve never seen asthma that bad.” He tells me, walking me out of my office.

 

I pull the bag and Ted with me, praying he gets over his hysteria before he passes out.

 

“So Theodore, mind if I call you Ted?” Warren asks.

 

“Sir, you can call me whatever you want.” Ted tells him, still shaky, but ever the ass kisser. 

 

“Sir, Justin called and told me to tell you to be nice.” The driver tells Warren as we get in the car.

 

“What does he think I’m going to do?” Warren tells the driver once we are in the car.

 

“Mr Kinney, how high was the last offer?” The driver asks me instead.

 

“Wait, who bet what, Sean?” Warren asks.

 

“I said Five, Justin said Ten.” Sean answers.

 

“What did you lose to my grandson?” Warren ask.

 

“It’s the same Quarter we’ve been betting with for years. Where to?” He asks Warren.

 

“Liberty Diner.” I tell Sean.

 

“So Brian, explain to me why you don’t talk to your family.” Warren tells me.

 

“I left the beatings and hypocrisy behind. I don’t have time for it.” I tell him.

 

“You’ll do.” He says, as if I just passed whatever test he was giving me.

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

There is just not enough time in a day, I napped for a few hours but Mel called sounding upset, and well, I just couldn’t not check on her. I called Blake to see if he'd drive, because sleeping behind the wheel is just an ER visit waiting to happen. He met me out front and got us to the house. Seeing Lindsay in the kitchen explained why Mel was upset. I'm starting to wonder what Lindsay’s agenda is.

 

I got an armful of Mel, and didn't like the tension that was coming off her in waves.

 

“Look, maybe you could give her time to adjust to everything.” I tell Lindsay, hoping she’ll leave.

 

“It's my home, and she needs to remember I forgave her when she cheated on me.” She tells me like turning a new mother into a nervous wreck is perfectly fine. The baby crying seems to get Mel’s attention and I guess Ben and Hunter were still here when I hear someone talking upstairs.

 

“Mel go with Blake.” I tell her, because Lindsay and I are going to talk about why she thinks this is the way to repair a relationship.

 

She barely waited for them to leave when she seemed to think she could talk down to me.

 

“I don’t think you need to stick your nose in my marriage.” She tells me sitting there like a princess.

 

“Your marriage is hanging on by a thread, so nothing I do is going to change it.” I tell her sitting across from her. I learned from my Grandfather to make them think they have the advantage before showing them who really does.

 

“It wouldn’t be if Brian hadn’t acted like this was a big deal.” She tells me rubbing her stomach.

 

“You know I haven’t really known him that long, but seeing him with Gus tells me that he couldn’t ignore his kid. Which you seem to think is in character for him.” I tell her.

 

“Which really makes the idea of your marriage a joke, if you think Brain couldn’t ignore something.” She tells me.

 

“I think you need to see that what you did isn’t going to brushed aside and figure out a way to not make Mel deal with your shit.” I tell her.

 

“Who do you think you are? Just because Brian married you it doesn’t make my life your business.” She tells me, once again not getting that she really couldn’t compete with my mother.

 

“I’m a doctor worried about how you're affecting a new mother.” I tell her.

 

“Like having Ben and Hunter waiting on her hand and foot is so hard.” She tells me.

 

“I think she thought her partner would have been the one to help her, but you know, I’m going to assume that it’s too hard for a princess like you to understand that sometimes it’s not about you. Now how about you find a place to go for a while and come back when she’s back to fighting form. I’ll even watch Gus so he doesn’t end up in your war zone.” I tell her.

 

“Brian and I need to talk about Gus, I don’t need him around someone who isn’t going to be around past the divorce papers he needs to slap in your hands.” She tells me.

 

“That’s our decision, not yours. While I’m still feeling generous, get the fuck out.” I tell her smiling the whole time.

 

“Lindsay, you can stay at our house, but Justin’s right, Mel doesn’t need this.” Ben tells her.

 

I guess Lindsay wasn’t going to fight a free place to invade. She grabbed the key and walked out. Ben sat down looking as if he wanted to say something and I waited because that’s how I get people to talk to me.

 

“Thank you.” He tells me.

 

“For what?” I ask, because I’m just about ready to pass out.

 

“For getting Hunter to talk.” He tells me.

 

“Are you really not seeing that he’s hiding how he feels?” I ask him.

 

“It’s just lately we’ve been dealing with Jenny’s birth and Michael’s things.” He tells me.

 

“Why are you worried about a grown man, when you have a kid in trouble? Ben, what I saw was a kid on the verge of running, there isn’t any way to miss that, unless you want to.” I tell him.

 

“What do you want me to say, that I’m married to a man who can’t see past his wants to realize that the son we adopted might be more than we bargained for.” Ben tells me and that was not what I wanted to hear.

 

“You know, adopting a kid isn’t like getting a goldfish, you don’t get to flush it because it needs more than a sandwich. So if it’s really too hard maybe you and Michael should have stuck to a goldfish and not a kid who wasn’t going to be cute and cuddly. Hunter is going to have a lot of issues that he’s not going to want to tell you about and that smart mouth of his is just pain hiding under bravo. If it’s ‘too hard’ as you put it, I’ll take him and make your life easier, because he’s had it hard, not you and clueless you married.” I tell him and really the adrenaline woke me up. 

 

“I didn’t mean we didn’t want Hunter.” Really, what does ‘not what they bargained for’ mean to him.

 

“It sounds like you don’t seem to know what you want. You need to figure it out before that kid takes off and endangers himself more that he already has. I don’t understand people who go as far as adopting an HIV teen, but don’t realize his life will never be normal. Is your life normal anymore? No, I didn’t think so, so don’t make his life harder because you refuse to see that people are assholes and can’t see past something that he got because no one took care of him.” I tell him. 

 

I left him sitting there, because he either gets it or he doesn’t. Hunter was sitting on the stairs and I just couldn’t leave him there. I sat down and told him what I would have love to hear if I was him.

 

“It’s not a death sentence, just an obstacle that you can work with. Don’t give up what can be a fulfilling life because it seems impossible.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t get you.” He tells me.

 

“Why, I’m pretty simple.” I tell him.

 

“You really care about me, I’m nobody.” He tells me.

 

“I care about anybody I see that has the potential to become more than you probably realize. Hunter, you survived a life I can’t even imagine and whether or not you see it, I do. You’re a fighter.” I tell him.

 

“I was going to leave.” He tells me.

 

“I know, I saw it in your eyes, but hey, if you need a place call me and I’ll help. All I expect is for you to at least try the school I told you about.” I tell him.

 

“You really think Brian wants me around?” He asks.

 

“Until Brian and I decide what we’re doing, it’s more me. Just give me a couple days, because my house isn’t finished. Then you can come if things get to be too much.” I tell him.

 

“Ben’s really not bad, it’s just Michael likes to be the center of the universe.” He tells me.

 

I already guessed that, and Brian’s friends leave a lot to be desired, but then some of the people I know aren’t really the greatest either. My phone goes off and I laugh when Grampy texted that Ted needs a stronger inhaler.

 

“Blake, we might need to rescue Ted.” I tell him as he comes down the stairs.

 

BRIAN

 

Deb of course came to check out Warren. He seems to think Deb was interesting enough to ask her to sit with us. Deb who has never stood on formality, fired the first shot.

 

“So, that your huge ass car blocking the diner?” She asks him.

 

“Yeah, want to take her for a spin?” He winks at her and is she blushing, Carl is going to love this.

 

“No, but I can get my fiance to write you a ticket.” She tells him.

 

“I’m heartbroken, but I’ll get Sean to move it.” He tells her.

 

“Is this business?” She asks me and Ted.

 

“Deb, this is Justin’s Grandfather Warren, and Warren, this is Deb.” I introduce them as Ted stares at me like I just committed the ultimate sin by calling Warren by anything but Sir.

 

“It’s always a pleasure to meet a beauty.” He tells her, and really, Carl better romance the hell out of Deb, because I’ve never seen that smile from her.

 

“Grampy, I’m going to tell Granny you're hitting on other women.” Justin tells him flipping his hair.

 

“She still get’s hit on at her age, so she’ll get it.” Warren smiles at Justin and grabs him in a bear hug. “Blake, how are you doing son?” Warren lets go of Justin and hugs him too.

 

“I’m great, I’m a counselor at the clinic and I’ve been with Ted for two years.” He tells Warren, who really seemed to want to know.

 

Justin leans down and kisses me which has Warren watching us closely. It was strange that it didn’t bother me that everyone was staring at Justin.

 

“I like him.” He tells Justin.

 

“I think I do too, but we’ll see.” Justin tells him.

 

I look up to see Michael and Lindsay arguing outside the diner, and this is not what I need Warren seeing, but they didn’t really care that everyone could hear them. 

 

“Why the fuck are you staying at my house? You're supposed to be taking care of my daughter. So get your ass home and do that.” Mikey yells at her.

 

“I would if that asshole doctor didn’t have Mel kicking me out. Ben said I could stay so get over it and what the hell is wrong with you?” She just noticed those welts?

 

“Michael, what the hell are you doing running around, get home and get your ass back in bed like you were told.” Deb yells heading out the door.

 

“Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny, Brian I have to say, those two almost made me wonder about you.” Warren tells us, looking at them.

 

I look to Justin, because maybe he can clue me in on what Warren’s talking about.

 

“Grampy, how much did you managed to get on him.” Justin asks.

 

“Just the normal.” He so casually acts like it’s that easy to get information in one night. “Brian, unlike my grandson, I checked out the whole thing five years ago.” He tells me and I hold back the groan, because there was a lot that I didn’t need my somewhat Grandfather-in-law knowing. “Not to worry, he wasn’t taking his marriage seriously either.” He tells me, pointing at Justin.

 

“Grampy, you promised no more spying.” Justin tells him.

 

“Please, you really think I was telling the truth. Do you know how many people would have loved to get their hands on you?” He tells Justin, and yeah, but I’ll leave that one alone.

 

“You need to stop filling my husband’s head full of garbage.” Mikey came in, staring at Justin.

 

“Mikey, go home and maybe come out when we all don’t want to play connect the dots with fists.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, he’s probably after your money, you really need to tell him to get the fuck out of our lives.” He announces to everyone, including a man who probably is working at making Justin the richest kid in the world. 

 

“Grampy, no, he’s annoying, but not enough for me to care.” Justin tells him, and I see the twin glare we are sharing.

 

“Who’s the old guy?” Mikey finally saw his doom.

 

“Warren Marston.” And really, passing out wasn’t necessary.

 

“Who?” Mikey asks, staring at Justin who runs to check on Lindsay when she hits the ground.

 

“I’m Justin’s Grandfather, and did he forget to mention I own the Ironmen, and well, a lot of other things, which probably puts Justin looking at Brian’s money as a bit of a laugh, to anyone who would find that funny. Do you?” I am so going to learn from him, because Mikey took off without arguing. Deb kissed his cheek, and maybe Granny could like, spare Deb for that.

 

“Brian, we need to talk business, but tonight Jen is going to want us to refrain. So tell your delightful assistant to send my PA an appointment. Justin come along, we have a house to look at.” He tells him.

 

“I can find my own house and I did.” Justin sasses at him. 

 

“I didn’t like it, so no, you’ll deal with the one I got you. She waking up yet? Good, time to go, you can’t help that one.” Warren tells Justin, dragging him out the door.

 

“I have to tell my parents who you married.” Lindsay says, as she gets up and leaves us all sitting there kind of stunned, well, Ted was breathing into a bag. 

 

“Brian, did he just say business?” Ted asks dropping his bag.

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

When we get in the car, Sean flips me the quarter and I put in the compartment in my wallet. Grampy gave it to me when I was little and it was his little life lesson. He told me that a quarter was just as important as a dollar, because it took a four to make one. I was five but it sounded important enough that I never used it. I realize now he was telling me that everything has significance and you don’t overlook something because it’s not the bigger part of the whole. 

 

“So are you going to try to work your marriage out?” Grampy asks.

 

“It was too much drinking and not a brain cell used.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I can honestly say I like the kid, which isn’t something that I say about most people.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask him.

 

“Your husband isn’t one to bullshit, and he didn’t have anyone help him become who he is. Brian Kinney is self-made.” He tells me and that’s a huge compliment from Grampy.

 

“It’s just that I did it without even really thinking about it.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, you think too much, sometimes mistakes turn into solid gold. Brian is going to become a major player in the Ad world, because he’s the kind who wants it. I think if you give him a chance you’ll see a man who will never break a promise.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not saying no to the idea, it’s just I’m not sure how I feel about it.” I tell him, looking to see Grampy has never gotten that I don’t need a mansion.

 

“Justin, you're going to be entertaining and I don’t want your Granny embarrassed at your house.” He really thinks my colonial, that apparently he sold, was enough to induce Granny guilt.

 

“You're not trying to impress Brian are you?” I ask because this is ridiculous, how does Mom get him to stop?

 

“Justin, Brian isn’t really impressed by me, but that’s why I think he’s a good match for you.” He tells me.

 

“Mom seems to like him too. Grampy, I’m worried about this kid I met.” I tell him, because I am and Grampy wouldn’t brush it off.

 

“What’s got you worried?” He asks me.

 

“He’s an ex street kid whose adoptive parents seem to think taking him in was all they needed to do. He has HIV and is scared, whether he admits it or not. He actually said he was nobody.” I tell him, leaning on the shoulders that used to carry me everywhere.

 

“Justin, you can’t take on the world.” He tells me.

 

“How about a kid who needs a break?” I tell him.

 

“Where do I find him?” He asks, but I don’t want him taking this on for me.

 

“Grampy, you’d be overwhelming to Hunter. I just don’t want him back on the street and if I can’t convince him to listen to me, that’s where he’ll go.” I tell him.

 

“You know, it always amazes me that Craig made you.” He tells me.

 

“Join the club, I tried to get Mom to say I was an immaculate conception.” I tell him and when he laughed I was okay again.

 

“Talk to your husband, it might help you make a decision on the man you married.” He tells me seriously.

 

“You really do like him. He seems worried about how you’d view his past.” I tell him.

 

“Do you want to know?” He asks, which I appreciate, because he could just tell me things to either make Brian a bad idea or worse, from what I’m gathering.

 

“No, I think who you are now should matter, not who you were.” I tell him.

 

“We’re here Warren.” Sean tells him.

 

“This one was all Sir and Mr earlier.” Grampy points out as we all get out.

 

“You didn’t tell me how to play it, SIR.” Sean laughs as we walk in.

 

“Well since you’re family, try acting like it.” Warren tells Sean. 

 

Sean isn’t really related, he’s just been with us all my life, and Grampy never sees employees, just people who work around him. Sean’s wife and kids come to everything, but Sean is the guy Grampy trusts, so Sean drives him.

 

“How many bedrooms?” I ask, looking at this monstrosity that he calls a house.

 

“Eight but it has a gym and indoor pool in the basement, so maybe nine. There’s also an apartment down there but pretend it’s just a changing room so you’ll quit acting like it’s too much. Granny plans to visit soon and I want my queen to be comfortable.” He tells me and that’s what I want, to still love the person who I’m with when I’m Grampy’s age.

 

“You really should just move in if you like it, because I was fine with the house I bought.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, just once take something from me without it being for someone else.” He tells me, and I will because he wants me to.

 

“Let’s go meet your mother and young Gus she seems to rave about. You really had to give her a grandson didn’t you.” He tells me.

 

“Hey, it’s Mollusk’s fault, I was all for maybe surprising Mom with the whole Viva Las Vegas stunt.” I tells him.

 

“Yeah, that really didn’t make my day when I got the call.” He was smiling so I know it’s cool.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin called and told me to meet them at his mom’s house and really, why does this seem like a big deal when I’ve been there before. I ran home to get showered and dressed and swore a blue streak when I walked out to Lindsay going through my closet. 

 

“Out.” I didn’t have time for whatever had her thinking she was welcome.

 

“Brian, you need to impress them.” She tells me, like it has anything to do with her.

 

“I don’t need someone who thinks acting like an idiot is something anybody needs to see.” I tell her, grabbing my clothes and locking my bathroom door.

 

“Brian, I’m just trying to help.” She could help by getting the fuck out.

 

I came out and she was gone so maybe for once she got it. Grabbing my coat, I realized she didn’t when she was standing there dressed like we were going on a date. Which wasn’t what she was wearing when I went in the bathroom.

 

“You and Mel going on a date?” I ask, not really caring.

 

“Brian these aren’t the kind of people you pull dick jokes around. If you want to fit in you need to understand their world.” She tells me.

 

“Which you know, I’ve dealt with all sorts of people with running a business, so this isn’t something new to me.” I tell her ushering her out the door. I send the text that will stop this shit from happening again. Cynthia sent back ‘On It.’

 

“My father wanted to invite you and Justin’s family to dinner. I think I can work it in tonight.” She tells me.

 

I unlock my door and get in, seeing her look at me like I was the asshole for not putting her in the car, but she wasn’t coming. So when I started the car she still stood there as if not believing I would leave her there. I hope she believed it when I left her in the garage.

 

“DAD.” Was really the best thing I could hear after today, and I grabbed my sonny boy and went in with Justin.

 

“You okay?” Justin really needs to stop looking and seeing things.

 

“It’s handled, my assistant is stopping by later.” I tell him.

 

“You won’t believe the house, Grampy just can’t see anything that doesn’t take up half a neighborhood as reasonable.” Justin tells me and Mom.

 

“Dad, you need to stop.” Jen tells him.

 

“I just wanted Justin to have a house that your mother would love.” He tells her.

 

“Brian, I want to see the car you drove, it’s vintage isn’t it.” Warren tells me and I have a feeling it’s more than the car he wants me outside for.

 

We get outside and he hands me a cigar. “Justin hates the habit, but he’ll put up with it. Tell me about Hunter.” He commands.

 

“You mean you didn’t get to meet the littlest hustler yet?” I ask him.

 

“I was more interested to see if you did what I thought you would with your company. Justin’s worried about the kid.” He tells me.

 

“He’s me if I hadn’t had Deb. A lot of mouth and to much experience for a kid who was barely old enough to tie his shoes. Mikey took him in because Ben wanted it, but it’s like they thought all he needed was a jacket and food and magically it’s better. Sometimes it is, but since the baby was conceived, it’s like he’s the toy that isn’t as much fun as the new one. Justin saw behind the bullshit Hunter puts out there.” I tells him.

 

“Isn’t there anyone he can turn to?” He ask me.

 

“You don’t like that Justin wants to help him?” I ask, because he really seemed like he was accepting of anybody.

 

“I don’t like when my Grandson worries, so if I can help stop it, then I will.” He tells me and I understand, because I’m like that with Gus.

 

“GRAMPY, put down the stogie.” Justin yells from the door, and Grampy practically jumps two feet in the air.

 

“Justin, I stop eating everything I like because of your edicts, so one stogie is not asking a lot.” Warren forgets the eggs, with three servings of bacon this morning.

 

“Mom has a lovely chicken breast calling your name, unlike the bacon.” Justin tells him, rolling his eyes and going in.

 

“I swear that kid is all bloodhound sometimes.” He tells me walking in behind Justin.

 

“Dad, am I coming home tonight?” Gus asks.

 

“Why wouldn’t you be?” I ask.

 

“I like Nana, she’s does the good stuff.” He tells me smiling.

 

“Molly get off the phone.” Jen tells her as she sits with the phone to her ear.

 

“Mom, it’s important.” Molly tells her rolling her eye.

 

“Everything is important.” Gus tells us.

 

The doorbell rings and in runs Callie looking a bit put out. “Uncle Justy, I’m living with you.” She pouts.

 

“Callie, you're too big for Andy's crib.” Yes, I remember video girl. “Sorry she wouldn’t go to my mom’s until she saw Justin, and hello to you too.” Daphne smiles at me.

 

“So I guess we know each other?” Andrew shakes my hand.

 

“Uncle Brian, tell them I can stay with you.” Callie commands.

 

“Callie Regina Carson, kiss Grampy and march your butt back to the car.” Daphne had the mom voice down.

 

“Grampy, they’re mean.” Callie tells him, trying to nod his head in agreement.

 

“Can’t she stay and play with me?” Gus asks, climbing up on Warren's lap next to Callie.

 

“Daphne, why not let Andy be the center of attention, I can bring Callie back with me.” Justin tells Daphne, who seemed as if she expected it and appreciated it.

 

They left after hugging everyone, including me. Then like every family I’ve ever watched on TV, food was passed and conversation was made. Had to wonder why Lindsay thought they were different from the rest of the world.


Chapter 11 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin was practically asleep in the car on the way back. Warren told me to take care of him and I think he was also telling me he approved. I look at Justin trying to keep his eyes open and part of me wonders if I’m crazy to see this as our life somehow. Jen was behind us with the kids, since there was just nowhere in my car to put them. We pulled up and she carried a sleeping Callie to Daphne and Gus seemed to want Justin to carry him. Jen came down and kissed Gus, and smiled at Justin who fell asleep next to Gus.

 

“He always drops where ever when he’s had long days.” She tells me.

 

“I can’t say anything, since we met again it’s been nothing but a huge rollercoaster ride.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, I hope you realize my father likes the idea of you two.” She tells me seriously.

 

“Warren doesn’t always get what he wants, right now we’re feeling around in the dark.” I tell her.

 

“No matter what happens, I hope you’ll let Gus see us.” I tell her.

 

“I think my son has already decided that.” I tell her as I look at Gus sleeping in Justin’s arms.

 

“He loves kids and they seem to love him just as much.” She smiles as Gus squeezes closer.

 

She kissed my cheek and left as quietly as she came. I grabbed some juice and watched as Gus slept with Justin. Nothing about him would have fit in my life when we married each other, and maybe that’s why I left it alone for the last five years, it’s not like a divorce would have made Kinnetik fail, or even that anybody would have known, it was really just an excuse not to do anything about it. 

 

“Hey, sorry, I didn’t mean to fall asleep.” Justin comes and sits down.

 

“You can stay, Gus seems to think you're his.” I tell him.

 

“Just don’t let Callie hear that, it will get messy.” He tells me, sitting down and yawning.

 

“Seriously, stay, it’s not like I’m going to do anything with Gus here.” I tell him.

 

“Too bad, there were a few things you did that I’d love to try again.” He tells me smiling.

 

“You wanted the date.” I remind him.

 

“Brian, why aren’t Michael and Ben trying to help Hunter?” He asks, leaning back and closing his eyes.

 

“I don’t think either of them understands what it’s like to be abused. Deb might have embarrassed Michael, but she loved him. Ben was an adult when he found out his partner gave him HIV, so he most likely doesn’t remember what assholes kids can be.” I tell him.

 

“If Hunter runs, I’m going after him. He deserves a chance to see that everyone isn’t an asshole.” He tells me, falling asleep. 

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll help.” I whisper, pulling him down with me. 

 

“Dad.” I feel a hand poking me and smell what resembles breakfast. Gus is smiling while he eats toast. “He’s cooking!” Gus tells me running back to the kitchen.

 

“Hey, you know you have like every cooking utensil that a chef would dream up, yet no food.” Justin smirks.

 

“So what, you decided not to let your husband and stepson starve.” I meant it as a joke, but Justin looks at Gus.

 

“I’m a stepdad.” He seems to say to himself.

 

The buzzer going off has Gus running before I can stop him, to let whoever it is in. Opening the door, it’s just Emmett, who is practically skipping in. He’s really been keeping a low profile for Emmett.

 

“I came because I gave you space and now it’s time for me to meet the man of the hour.” Emmett informs me. I just let him in because this is one friend that’s harmless.

 

“Auntie Em, have you met my Daddy?” Gus tells him and Justin smiled at the title.

 

“So are we keeping him?” Emmett asks me.

 

“He’s not a pet.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Please, you and a pet would never happen.” Emmett tells me. I don’t know, in a universe where I was say, an idiot chasing a guy, who knows.

 

“Emmett, right?” Justin asks.

 

“Yep, and hopefully you made enough that I could stay.” Emmett couldn’t have hinted any harder.

 

“I’m still trying to remember I don’t have a village of kids to feed, so yeah there’s enough.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why would you have a village of kids?” Emmett ask him.

 

“I worked for Doctor Without Borders for the last five years. We stayed kind of in the middle of nowhere and well, kids need to eat and Grampy made sure I had what I needed to feed whoever I wanted.” He tells Emmett who looks at me when Justin said Grampy.

 

“His grandfather.” I tell Emmett, because I’m sure he’ll hear about Warren sometime and really Emmett passing out is more than I want to see today.

 

“So if you're free we could shop or something? I’m staying away from shingle boy, but my friend left town so I was going to see if Ted would put me up.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I have to start looking for things for my house, so if you want you can come with me. I need to stop by Mel’s first with some things Daphne got together for her.” Justin tells Emmett.

 

“Can I come?” Gus asks.

 

“What do you think?” I ask Justin. Emmett doesn’t have to act shocked.

 

“I don’t see why not, no fever and the spots aren’t spreading, so just wash your hands before you touch the baby okay.” Justin tells him, sitting Gus down next to a plate.

 

“So you're the one that has the everyone scrambling for gossip, want to share how you married this one?” Emmett asks pointing at me.

 

“Remember Vegas, he’s the guy.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Interesting, but I thought you took care of the problem?” Emmett really thinks Justin doesn’t know about the marriage, well it depends on if we are talking about the actual marriage or that we got married.

 

“Neither of us did.” Justin tells him, guess Emmett got his answer.

 

“I have to get to work, you can drop off Gus when you need to.” I tell Justin, kissing him without realizing it at first.

 

“I’m free today so I’ll just keep him.” Justin tells me.

 

Emmett smirking at me was not really a surprise, but I’m leaning toward the not divorce, so I might as well start as I plan to end.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett likes to talk and talk, but it wasn’t catty, just filling silence. 

“So have you meet the gang?” He asks me.

 

“I knew Blake, but I think I’ve meet them all now.” I tell him.

 

“How did you know Blake?” He asks seeming to be less than cheerful about Blake.

 

“He came in to the hospital where I was interning looking for help. I checked up on him and he really wanted it, so I hung out so he’d have a friendly face during the bad days. I’m proud of him for straightening out his life.” I tell him.

 

“He did and it’s just leftover misplaced jealousy. Ted and I broke up while he was in rehab but it was like when Blake showed up, he took the help from Blake and not me. It hurt because I kind of lost a boyfriend and best friend at the time.” He tells me.

 

“You got the best friend back though.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just different now that he’s in a relationship, and the guy I'm sort of with can't let anyone know about me.” He tells me.

 

“I get that, I mean Daphne had Andrew and I really hadn’t met anyone who I saw being around, so I was kind of a dick at first, but Andrew’s really great and he loves Daphne.” I tell him.

 

My phone rang and I saw Granny, so I handed it to Emmett because hey, no answering while driving.

 

“Hello… he’s driving… hold on” Emmett puts it on speaker.

 

“Granny, what’s up?” I ask.

 

“I was wondering if you forgot to introduce me to your husband?” She asks. 

 

“He’s working and I’m kind of busy, can’t you come here, Grampy did?” I remind her.

 

“Yes, smart ass and I'm at your mother's house.” She tells me.

 

“You couldn’t have said that?” I laugh.

 

“Who’s with you?” She asks.

 

“Emmett Honeycutt.” I tell her.

 

“George’s Emmett?” She asks, and really, did Grampy like dig all over Brian’s life.

 

“You knew George?” Emmett asks.

 

“Of course, sorry that you lost him, he was a good man.” She tells Emmett.

 

“Thanks, most people didn’t really know about me.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Virginia’s a very cold woman, you didn’t deserve what she did. Justin bring him, I've always wanted to meet him.” She commands.

 

“Your wish is my bidding, later.” Emmett hangs up at the laughter.

 

“Who was that, I mean other than Granny?” Emmett asks.

 

“Helen and Warren Marston are my grandparents.” I tell him, turning in Mel’s driveway. 

 

“Auntie Em, you okay.” Gus asks.

 

“No wonder Ted’s buying sandwich bags by the box.” Emmett tells us, not really laughing. 

 

Seriously, Ted will get used to Grampy. I knock and Mel answers looking better today. I hugged her because she seemed like a hugger. Emmett was all about Jenny, who Gus smiled at but seem to want his Mama.

 

“Hey baby, I missed you.” Mel tells him hugging him tightly.

 

“Mama, did you know Dad got married?” Gus ask her.

 

“I heard, how are you liking Justin?” She asks him.

 

I went to check her kitchen to see if she needed anything and found Hunter reading a pamphlet.

 

“I got the information about the night school.” He tells me.

 

“You think you might want to give it a try?” I ask not trying to push too hard.

 

“Ben’s fine if I do, Michael isn’t really happy. He keeps saying that it’s life to deal with bullies.” Hunter tells me.

 

“No, it’s stupid to deal with something like that if you don’t have to.” I tell him.

 

“Deb agreed with you, so she wants to go with me and meet the teachers.” He tells me.

 

“Why isn’t your dad going?” I ask, because are they really not going to help him?

 

“Ben has a class that night and he’s trying to get someone to take over for him, but well I think he’s still trying not to rock the boat.” He tells me. Capsize the fucker, that’s my opinion, but you know I think maybe Deb would see this as good for Hunter.

 

“We were going to run errands today you could come.” I offer, Mel’s probably ready to spend time with her kids.

 

“Hunter go have fun.” Mel tells him as she comes in with Gus and the baby. “I need to spend some time with Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Is that okay?” Gus asks, like it might hurt my feelings.

 

“I think it’s great, I can come by later if you want to see your dad.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, but tell Dad I wanted to play with Mama and Jenny.” He tells me running up the stairs.

 

“I think he misses his room.” Mel tells me.

 

“Call if you need us, don’t wait until you're too exhausted.” I tell her.

 

“How did Brian manage to find the one man I could at least like.” She tells me kissing my cheek.

 

“Way too much Tequila and the Beetles.” I tells her.

 

BRIAN

 

Drew Boyd is sitting in my office, and now I’m trying to figure out why Warren sent him. I guess I’ll know when Warren gets off my phone at my desk. Walking in I see the look, and wonder if Warren knows.

 

“Brian meet Drew, we have a problem.” He tells me. 

 

“Unless he got caught, you don't.” I tell him and strange as it would seem apparently I made Grampy proud.

 

“It going to be news tonight.” He tells me. 

 

“Any good agent should have prepared for this, it doesn’t stay hidden when the press follows you.” I tell Drew.

 

“My fiance caught me, and she isn't really thrilled right now.” He tells me.

 

“Getting engaged wasn’t the smartest move. If you sprinkled women all over had a pregnancy scare or two, you could have retired before they figured it out.” I tell him. 

 

“The guy doesn't know yet and I'm worried this could hurt his business.” He tells me. 

 

“Does the name Emmett mean anything to you? Apparently he's with my grandson.” Warren asks. Holy shit, Emmett?

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Did I really say Emmett was harmless? I changed my mind. Warren was waiting for me to I think, explain. But for the first time, Emmett had kept something to himself. 

 

“Brian, give me some way to spin this?” Warren asks.

 

“Denying it is just going to add fuel to the fire. Head it off by giving an interview. Be nice about the fiancée, because it makes her look worse. Do not hide anything you've done, it will just feed the fire.” I tell them. “How do think the team is going to react to this?” I ask Warren.

 

“I wish I could say they would respect his choice, but it's football.” Warren tells me. 

 

“I'm still one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.” Drew tells us. 

 

“It's not going to matter to your team, you hid something that they might have accepted if you were honest with them. One of the things in any relationship that has value, is honesty, you leave out things and you compromise everything you have so far, leaving them blindsided when they get hit with something they don’t know.” Warren tells him, and is he really here to ask me for help, or tell me to talk to Justin about my past?

 

“Am I off the team?” Drew asks.

 

“No, but you’re going to have to deal with how the other players feel about it. I could enforce the clause that says you have to inform your coach and I of anything that could affect the team, but I don’t want the team to see us not supporting you when your life is about to be turned upside-down. I will ask that you take the next two games off.” Warren tells him.

 

“So I’m being suspended for being gay.” Drew argues.

 

“No, you're being asked to consider the team, and not turn the next two games into a circus that has nothing to do with football.” Warren tells him.

 

“If I’d cheated with a woman I wouldn’t be asked this.” Drew tells him.

 

“No, but it’s not about your sexuality, it’s about giving your team the respect that you didn’t when you took Emmett to your home and slept with him in your fiancee’s bed.” Warren tells him. I really need to find out how Warren gets his information.

 

“Don’t you see it as about my being gay?” Drew asks me.

 

“Yes, but you haven’t really grasped what Warren is telling you. You did this to yourself, and if one of my employees did something that could have a negative effect on my business, then gay, straight, or undecided, doesn’t really matter to me.” I tell him.

 

Cynthia stood at the door with an older woman, she passed Cynthia and kisses Warren’s head. I gave Warren the ‘good job’, because Jen and he had both married a decade younger, unless Granny just never aged past late forties maybe early fifties. Then again, Justin looks like he’s still barely legal, so maybe they found the fountain of youth.

 

“What happened?” She asks us.

 

“I thought you were going to wait for Justin to bring him to meet you.” Warren winks at her.

 

“Please, I wanted to see anyone who managed to marry our grandson.” She smiles at me. “Helen, Justin’s grandmother, although he says Granny.” She tells me walking around me.

 

“Brian Kinney, Ma'am.” I tell her.

 

“So what’s Justin think of you?” She asks me.

 

“We’re still seeing if we fit.” I tell her.

 

“You know, it isn’t rocket science. Do you see him in your future? I think so, because five years is more than enough time to have filed divorce papers.” She tells me.

 

“Helen, let them figure it out.” Warren tells her.

 

“Honey, I didn’t show up when you showed me the investigator’s report, and really that took some effort on my part. Look at him, trust me, Justin wants him.” She tells Warren, pointing at me. “Drew why are you in the hot seat?” She asks when she’s done inspecting me.

 

“Drew is coming out.” Warren tells her.

 

“Oh Dear, is Sierra taking it well?” She asks Drew.

 

“No, she caught him.” Warren tells her.

 

“Well, that’s something you can handle, so Brian, take Granny to lunch.” She orders me.

 

I wasn’t really sure what I was suppose to do, Granny grabbed my arm and dragged me out. Warren just smiled adoringly at the five foot nothing woman dragging my six foot two self out the door. 

 

“So my husband told me you know where to get a greasy burger.” She tells me, and I’m trying to figure out how I end up being the junk food connection.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett, Hunter and I decided to get some lunch in the mall, even though I try to make sure we eat healthy, there was just a taco calling my name. We were looking for a place to sit when a perky blonde and her friends came in. Emmett turned and pretended to be reading the directions map, but the chick’s eyes narrowed on Emmett. I wasn’t sure what had Emmett acting like a kid caught doing something wrong.

 

“YOU BASTARD, I let you plan my wedding.” She screeched, and was hauling back to slap him.

 

Grabbing her arm to stop her, even though Emmett seemed to just stand there, I hoped to calm her down.

 

“Is this really where you want to make a scene?” I ask.

 

“Better than in my bedroom with my fiance.” She tells me, which didn’t make much sense.

 

“Hope you like being a social pariah.” The brunette next to her tells Emmett.

 

“I’ll make sure the owner of the team blacklists your ass, for fucking my fiance.” The blond tells him.

 

“Emmett?” I ask.

 

“Can we just leave?” He asks not looking at the blond.

 

“You can leave but I’m announcing to the world that you turned Drew Boyd into a faggot like you.” The blonde screams it and, shit.

 

Hunter was giggling and I stared at him because Emmett looked like he was about to puke. 

 

“Hope she likes being considered a homophobe.” Hunter tells me.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask him.

 

“Look I get being angry to find out your fiance seems to like dick better, but you don’t throw that word around and then get to cry on TV as if you're innocent.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Okay, but why is that funny?” Emmett asks, getting in the car texting like a madman.

 

“I posted her wonderful performance.” Hunter tells us.

 

“I wish you didn’t.” I tell him.

 

“Why not, it’s not Emmett’s fault the woman didn’t realize her guy was gay.” Hunter tells me.

 

I held up my phone that I left in the car. “Justin, you need to bring Emmett to Brian’s office.” was sent from Grampy.

 

“My grandfather wants me to bring you to him.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Shit, I promised Drew that no one would know.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Why would your grandfather care?” Hunter asks me.

 

“He’s the owner that they threatened Emmett with.” I tell him.

 

“Hey Emmett, maybe we could get matching busboy uniforms at the diner.” Hunter was not helping Emmett at this point.

 

“Don’t worry, Grampy doesn’t bite, but he might nibble around the edges.” I tell Emmett and yeah, I wasn’t really helping much either.

 

BRIAN

 

It’s a small world, really it is. I took Granny to the diner and didn’t expect this one.

 

“Deb Grassi is that you?” Granny yells louder than Deb.

 

“Helen Devore, what the hell are you doing here, your mom said you married some big deal.” Deb hugs her.

 

“Why are you still in the diner sweetie, I thought you wanted to be a nurse?” Helen asks.

 

“Life happened, got knocked up, left to raise a son alone.” Deb tells her.

 

“Well you're still a knockout.” Helen tells her.

 

“I’m also finally getting married.” Deb tells her showing her the ring. Helen admired it, which was really small compared to the one on Helen’s finger.

 

“So tell me about your life, Brian why don’t you order for us.” Helen acts like we are eating at fine dining, but this family never seems out of place anywhere.

 

“I… had a son and you know just boring stuff, tell me about you.” Deb passing up talking about Michael, Ben, Hunter, Jenny, and Carl just doesn’t happen.

 

“I met my Warren when he was touring the Penn State, lord girl, I about tripped on my feet when he said hi. He found out who I was and well one date turned into two then a month later I was married to him. Had my daughter, and two beautiful grandkids.” She tells her.

“She’s Justin’s grandmother.” I tell Deb.

 

“Soon or later this one will get use to calling me Granny.” She tells Deb, smiling like I’m her favorite and you know, I’ll take it.

 

I sat with Granny and Deb and was really having a hard time with Deb being so quiet. It just wasn’t something Deb did. When my phone rang, I got up and left the table to see what Justin wanted.

 

“Brian, Grampy said he needs you.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“Hunter kind of posted something and it went viral.” Justin says distractedly.

 

“On my way, let me grab Granny.” I tell him.

 

“We are never getting divorced if you called her Granny. She would kill us.” Justin tells me hanging up.

 

“Helen, we need to get back.” I tell her.

 

“Really, Helen, I liked Granny better. I mean you did marry my grandson.” She tells me and I now believe that parents hear everything. “ Deb, come for dinner while I'm in town, I'll even get Daniel to come.” She tells Deb, who looked pale. Deb handed her a to go box for Warren, and I have a feeling the doctor is going to love the Philly and fries she got Warren.

 

It took all the way to Kinnetik for it to hit me, and I just hope Justin doesn't leave the country again when he finds out. When we walked in Hunter was sitting in front of my desk like he was in trouble, but since he was smiling I figured this couldn’t be to bad.

 

“Brian, I figured out what we're going to do.” Warren tells me.

 

“Grampy, think of something else, you are not using my marriage to deflect the press.” Justin tells him.

 

“It's going to happen anyway, you're just showing support for your team.” Warren tells him. 

 

“You know, I love how my twenty percent, turns it into my team when you want to use me.” Justin tells him.

 

“Well the twenty I sign to Brian makes it forty, so I guess you just have to realize it's part yours too.” Warren argues. Wait I own part of a football team?

 

“I can't believe you'd bribe Brian to do your bidding.” Justin tells him. 

 

“I'm only including all my grandchildren.” Warren tells him. 

 

“You just met him, yet he's family?” Justin asks incredulously.

 

“I'm keeping up with his life the same way I did yours, and you did marry him, So guess what Smarty Pants, he's one of us.” Warren tells him. 

 

“Why am I even trying to stop you, you'll just do it behind my back like everything else.” Justin tells him.

 

“I have never done anything behind your back, I tell you, you just think I'm kidding.” Warren tells him. 

 

“I can deal with drop shipping enough food that the camp didn’t have to get donations, I even graciously accepted the house that has TEN bedrooms, not eight, maybe nine, but I will not make Brian and I the center of a press conference so you're obviously gay player doesn’t have to finally tell the world he likes DICK.” Justin was really hot when he was going toe to toe with Warren. 

 

The very loud whistle from the very tiny Granny seem to stop the two in their tracks.

 

“What the hell are you two shouting the building down over?” She asks loudly herself.

 

“He wants Brian and I to parade ourselves so Drew’s little news get’s drowned by us.” Justin tells her.

 

“Why would that be so bad, we like that you married someone like Brian.” She tells him and kisses my cheek after sitting me next to Hunter on the other side of my desk.

 

“Brian, are you going to go along with this?” Justin asks me.

 

I look at Grampy, Granny, and Emmett and shrug. I mean it’s not like I hate the idea of staying married. 

 

“See, Brian understands family loyalty.” Warren should have just stayed quiet. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I just followed a very silent Justin into the loft. He kicked off his shoes and then off went the shirt. When the pants went flying, I came out of my haze.

 

“What are you doing?” I ask, curious but not really wanting him to stop the floor show.

 

“I figure that instead of dreaming about what was most likely incredible sex, I’m at least going to get a night I can say yes, it was really that fucking good.” He tells me and YES, we a have lift off.

 

I’m not arguing, I’m going to show Justin that yes, we were that good. I threw my jacket off and Justin took my shirt and tie with him and walks away as I stare at the ass I still remember. I didn’t waste time when I heard the shower turn on, the shower sex was really amazing that night. I walked in and Justin was leaning his head back in the spray. When his head straightened I was staring into huge pools of blue. He held out his hand and I took it and let him pull me in. I kissed the lips that were still as soft as I remembered and let my hands trail down his arms and trail around to caress the ass that I’ve thought about over the years. Justin’s hands were lightly touching my chest and trailing down then back up as he leaned in and licked my chest and then up to capture my lips again. Holding the porcelain skin against my darker self, it reminded me of light and darkness. He released my lip from his teeth and started back down until he was on his knees and brought his hands to my cock and then lower to massage my ball, and for a second I was self conscious about it, but when he took it in his mouth, I just let the sensation take over. His hand went to my ass and I felt his finger teasing my rim as he took me all the way down his throat. I put my hands on the wall as Justin licked, teased and nibbled me to the point where the wall was the only thing holding me up. I almost cried out as I felt something that I hadn’t felt in too long, and gave him a taste of me. Justin didn’t stop until I was ready to collapse to the floor, but my relief that I was still ready to go kept me standing as I lifted him to his feet and turned him to show him my appreciation for giving me this back. I lowered myself behind him and spread the generous globes to get to the place that would drive him crazy. Flattening my tongue I rimmed completely around him and then used the gel to lube my fingers and teased him before standing and inserting my finger and then when he moaned in pleasure I inserted the second and third. He turned his head and joined his lips to mine as I used my hand to massage him open for me. I grabbed a condom and put it on after taking my fingers from that tight opening, and when I started pushing through, Justin pushed back so that I was bottomed out before we held still. Then he moved and I began thrusting into him. As we both moved and it was more needing than finesse, Justin stroked himself in time with each inward thrust. When he screamed and stilled, I kept going as his body shivered from too much, but I felt my orgasm coming again and I needed to feel something that had been missing for so long. I joined Justin, panting and using him to keep us standing. Kissing the back of that golden blond hair, I knew my life wasn’t going to be complete without him. We dried each other and didn’t bother to get dressed but laid in bed together staring at each other. It’s true, you do see the future in someone's eyes.

 

JUSTIN

 

I came here angry, but I just don’t know what to think anymore. I’m not ready to call this love, but it’s close. I think part of my problem is that I grew up hearing how Grampy and Granny just knew almost from the beginning that they were in love. It made me think that if it’s meant to be, you know without having to jump over minefields, but all my life I never really felt like someone was ‘the one’ that I could live my life with. Is Brian the one? I don’t know, but I’m closer to saying that somehow he fits. He stared at me as if trying to read my thoughts, and I didn’t do anything but let him. 

 

“How do you really feel about the possibility that you're about to have your life all front page news?” Brian asks me.

 

“I don’t like it. I like that I can do my own thing without people reporting it the way Grampy’s life was.” I tell him.

 

“How did he keep you and your sister out of it?” He asks me.

 

“We didn’t do anything that had him bailing us out of trouble. Grampy told us that if we wanted to be famous for being spoiled rich kids and ruin our lives that he wouldn’t support that. Grampy was too important to Molly and me to ever want to disappoint him. He didn’t raise us with unlimited spending and thinking that our education is a joke. Which we could treat that way, but he believed you work for what you want, and instilled that in us. I think the only thing my Mom ever did to disappoint him was to marry my dad. He threw her a divorce party when she finally had enough of Dad. Granny and Grampy love Tuck because he’s a really good person. Molly and I love him because Tuck loves us as if we were his. Unlike my Dad, who doles out attention and love only when we do something he approves of.” I tell him, because my Dad will show up eventually to kiss Grampy’s ass.

 

“It sounds nice. The only person who ever cared about me was Deb.” He tells me and I wanted him to tell me something, because if I’m considering this marriage, I want him to tell me. “My actual family isn’t much, not just because we were poor but because my mother and father should have never gotten together in the first place. My father used his fist for any reason, dinner not on the table, I got a black eye. My mother too drunk to remember his cigarettes and hopefully I didn’t need to visit the ER. I will always wonder how he managed not to kill me.” He tells me looking at the ceiling.

 

“It’s hard for me to imagine that life, Dad’s not the greatest but he never touched us in anger. Most likely because Grampy would have Jimmy Hoffa’d his ass if he did.” I tell him and he smiled at that instead of the frown he’d had before.

 

“It was strange that he just seemed to accept me.” Brian tells me.

 

“He’s just like that. When I told him I was gay, unlike my father who ignored it, Grampy just told me to be happy. He warned me that my life would be harder because no matter how much we think the world accepts us, there are still people who would place us in a category of less, but only I could prove I was more. I worked my ass off because I didn’t want to play into the hype that I was barely a man because I don’t want a wife.” I tell him.

 

“My family only found out because Jack, my dad, was dying. Deb thought it would bring us closer, or that he would understand me. In the end, we managed to make peace with each other, not that I think he didn’t roll over in his grave that he produced a gay son.” He tells me.

 

“What about your sister and mother?” I ask.

 

“Mom hides behind her religion, so I’m going against God. I send checks to keep her on her side of Pittsburgh. My sister seems to think I should be supporting her and the spawn. It’s just easier not to bother with any of them. Before you start trying to figure out if you can change it, I got over them when I left home.” He tells me.

 

“Some people just can’t be saved, but it’s hard for me not to try.” I tell him.

 

“You need to know that my life before was one big party, and I’m lucky that I’m not in Ben’s situation. When I got cancer, it was easy to bow out, because I felt less perfect for a long time.” He tells me, and I can tell he didn’t like saying it.

 

“I might not have been into the whole club scene, but I wasn’t always responsible, well I used condoms, but I was experimenting a lot. I wanted to see what it was like to do all those things I read about, so there were threesomes and well, a lot of one nighters, but I just got to the point where not being able to remember their names got old.” I tell him.

 

“You probably read my unauthorized biography, because it sounds like the things I did.” He tells me.

 

“If I did, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.” I tell him, giggling.

 

“So you're done playing around?” He asks me

 

“I want a partner not a trick. I mean, it’s fun but there are just too many scary things I see that make playing seem like Russian Roulette to me.” I tell him.

 

“I just wanted to see if you and I were on the same page, because I’m done with that scene. I just don’t want to be that guy who didn’t leave the party. I also want Gus to have stability, which tricking, drinking, and drugs won’t give him.” He tells me.

 

“I think at five he might not notice.” I tells him.

 

“He notices everything, and makes sure to ask what he doesn’t understand. The latest was right before you came. Mikey seems to think because he produced sperm that he’s an authority on being a father… Justin, I think Granny needs to know about Mikey.” He tells me.

 

“That he needs his hearing checked?” I joke.

 

“No, that if I’m right, he’s your mother’s cousin.” He tells me.

 

“I refuse to be related to that, please tell me you're kidding.” I beg.

 

“Mikey’s father is really Devina Devore, and you know, with the way Grampy knows everything, how did he miss that?” He asks.

 

“Uncle Danny’s a father? Really, I just can’t wait for Grampy to find out.” Justin tells me giggling.

 

“Does he have problems with Danny?” He asks me.

 

“No, but Devina is like a total diva. When she would come to parties Grampy and I used to make bets on how long it took for people to figure out that she’s a he. He can really convince anyone that Devina is a woman. Granny used to get pissed when Grampy would say that Devina got all the estrogen in the family. I remember Granny chasing Grampy around the kitchen trying to smack him when Devina and Grampy teased her that Devina got all the good stuff.” I tell him.

 

“Well he produced Mikey, so Granny’s one up by producing your mother.” He tells me.

 

“Make sure you tell my mom that, because she’ll need a laugh before she kills the cousin, not kisses him. God I think I just threw up in my mouth at that.” I tell him.

 

“Mikey wasn’t always the pain in the ass he is now, it’s just that he never managed to find a personality that wasn’t already attached to someone else. He dated a doctor, then was suddenly too good for us. Ben comes and he became intellectual, without really having the same level of intelligence as Ben.” He tells me.

 

“Grampy has to know, but he tends to keep things close to the vest. I wonder if Devina knows?” I ask him, because she’s never mentioned it.

 

“The only time she was here I know Mikey tried to find out, but Deb and Devina didn’t tell him one way or the other.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t want to get up.” I tell him, changing the subject because I just don’t think very highly of Mikey right now.

 

“Why bother, we aren’t being interviewed until tomorrow.” He tells me, pulling me to him and you know, I think I’d rather do what his eyes are promising me right now.

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I got up early to make a call, because I don’t want to add to Justin’s stress. After getting off the phone I decided to feed Justin for a change. The buzzer rang and I smiled, because the new code and key are keeping people out. Pushing the intercom was really rather delightful.

 

“Brian, I need to talk to you.” I’m sure I know what Deb wants.

 

I push to let her in and open the door. When she comes in with Carl behind her holding a bags I smiled, because Justin is about to meet Deb’s idea of cooking. 

 

“Deb’s worried.” Carl tells me, holding up the groceries.

 

“I just thought I’d never have to deal with Danny again. Michael seemed to let it go.” She tells me, pulling out pans.

 

I hear Justin talking in the bedroom and Deb seems to be alternating between smiling and looking worried. ”How is Helen going to take that Danny and I never told her?” Deb asks.

 

“Brian, did you call my mom this morning… Oh hi, let me get dressed.” Justin tells my visitors and runs his underwear clad bottom back into the bedroom.

 

“So have you decided anything?” Deb asks, practically rubbing her hands together.

 

“That he doesn’t want to be related to Mikey.” I tell her, because what we decide is for us only.

 

“Shit, Michael had to act up.” Deb mumbles.

 

“So again, did you call my mom?” Justin asks, not commenting on Deb’s mention of Mikey the asshat.

 

“Yes, because she seems to keep her father under control, and what happened yesterday isn’t the way we want to start a marriage.” I tell him.

 

“That explains Grampy’s apology text. By the way, he said he respects that you don’t want to be given something.” He tells me.

 

The buzz was still music to my ears and well ,Grampy isn’t really unwelcome. 

 

“I was sent by Granny to tell you both, that unless you want to do the interview, there won’t be one.” Grampy tells us, and then notices Deb and Carl. “Is that real bacon?” He asks Deb, and sits with Carl.

 

“You get a normal serving.” Justin tells him.

 

“I swear, that kid thinks because he got a medical degree, that it means nothing good gets past my lips.” Grampy tells Carl, sounding like a proud grandfather.

 

“Stick around Deb, and he won’t know what hit him.” Carl tells him.

 

“Grampy, did you know?” Justin asks him like he would understand.

 

“Yes, but unless Danny wanted us to know, I respected his privacy.” He tells Justin.

 

“What about Granny?” I ask, and Warren smiles Justin’s smile.

 

“You know she’s going to love you for calling her that right?” Justin tells me.

 

“I never told Granny because, I’m going to tell you straight Deb, your son really hits me wrong.” Warren tells Deb.

 

“Grampy.” Justin warns, but Warren is just telling her without the bullshit.

 

“What bothers you about Michael?” Deb asks.

 

“He never tries to do anything without someone telling him what to do. You practically raised Brian and Michael side by side, but where Brian chased his dreams and goals, Michael sat around waiting for you and Brian to make his dreams a reality. Deb, I wanted to know the people I’m dealing with, so I hired people to find out who my grandson would be involved with, and Michael had potential, but seems to never bother to get past finding people to do everything for him. It left me not telling my family about your son.” He tells her.

 

“Do you want Danny and I not to tell Helen?” Deb asks, but I can tell she’s angry. Mikey might behave like an asshole but he’s still her son.

 

“Do I look like I want a divorce? Yes, tell her, but don’t be surprised when she tries to straighten him out. Where do you think my grandson get’s his ‘heal the world’ attitude from?” Warren tells her.

 

“I know Michael has a tendency to be selfish…”

 

“Deb, he can be a shit, but I think it’s that we all just protected him too much.” I add when she doesn’t seem to know how to explain Mikey.

 

“That, and the fact that I feel like Michael is going to be a problem for my grandson. Have you gotten the other one to back off yet?” Warren asks me.

 

“I think she’s most likely to become your headache.” I tell him because Lindsay seeing this as a good thing, only means she’s up to something.

 

“Too bad you didn’t have one with the partner, although Gus is a perfect little boy.” Warren tells me, and yes my sonny boy is.

 

“I’m just worried how Michael is going to react to having more family.” Deb tells him.

 

When the buzzer goes off again, I doubt I wanted to know.

 

“Brian, can I come up.” Emmett sounds upset.

 

“Drew is messing up with Emmett.” Deb tells us, and Warren’s look of surprise is not something Drew is going to like.

 

“What did Drew do?” Warren asks.

 

“He stopped returning Emmett’s calls.” Deb tells Warren.

 

“Hey, I was just seeing if I could hang out here.” Emmett asks when he walked in shoulders slumped and almost turned around when he saw Warren.

 

“Emmett, it’s not what you think. He’s not allowed to talk to anyone until his agent and Brian approve.” Warren tells us, and interesting, when I explained to Jen that I work for what I get.

 

“Grampy, you’re crossing the line.” Justin tells him.

 

“No, I’m hiring Brian because he’s the kind of man that can spin this without it turning into a bigger problem. This is not like what I tried to pull yesterday. I’m asking Brian as the owner of Kinnetik to help me sell Drew.” Warren tells both of us.

 

“If I agree then Drew understands that he’s going to sell a love story. Emmett you're going to have to deal with me using you.” I won’t do it if Emmett can’t.

 

“Drew and I need to talk first, because I won’t pretend we are anything if he’s just using me.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Emmett, he’s at my hotel. Sean will take you and get you there without anyone seeing you. If you don’t feel like Drew is worth what’s coming, then tell me and I’ll help you find some place to be until it blows over.” Warren tells him, calling Sean.

 

Emmett leaves and I really don’t know if the Drew who hid him is someone I want my friend with, but like Grampy just said, that’s up to Emmett.

 

“Now Deb, it might be easier to have a dinner with Michael and Ben at Justin’s house. If anyone overreacts than it’s just family to see it.” Grampy tells us, and Justin rolls his eyes.

 

“I haven’t even decorated or even put a chair in the house and now I’m hosting a dinner party. You know I do work and will be working tonight, then I need to check on Mel and Hunter.” Justin tell him.

 

“Why are you checking on Hunter?” Deb asks and Lord help Michael when she finds this out.

 

“Hunter is having a hard time with things and I couldn’t act like I didn’t see he wanted to run away from everything. I tried talking to Ben, but apparently right now Michael and Jenny are taking precedence over a teen who needs the attention.” Justin tells her.

 

“Hunter just said that he wanted to see if the school offered accelerated programs.” Carl tells us, and I guess Hunter was protecting Mikey too.

 

“Maybe this is none of my business, but in a way, Hunter is my family too, is there some reason everyone is ignoring that Hunter’s barely caring if the meds keep him alive?” Justin asks.

 

“Justin, it’s not their fault.” Warren tells him.

 

“If I was in his situation, I know you would have noticed and done everything you could to help me. I’m only doing what you and Granny taught me, to help anyone who needs me.” Justin tells him.

 

“There’s also a time when you ask for help.” I tell Justin.

 

“Then help me get Hunter to see that he isn’t nobody, that he’s got a future.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why didn’t I see this?” Deb asks us.

 

“Sometimes it’s easier not to see that someone’s in pain, or that we learned to hide it.” I tell them.

 

“You made it, because you had Deb.” Justin tells me.

 

“Hunter will make it, because you're too stubborn to let him give up. Justin, when you came to Brian’s office yesterday, that kid was smiling, just because you gave him your time and attention.” Warren tells him.

 

“Brian, who’s this?” You know, locking my door would have made keeping a social climbing pregnant lesbian out easier.

 

“Warren, Gus’s mother.” I know the sarcasm was loud and clear.

 

“He’s so bad at introductions. I’m Lindsay Peterson, and yes, Brian and I had Gus together. I really haven’t had a chance to get to know Gus’s new stepfather and well, I think it would be wonderful for all our families to have dinner together.” Lindsay the hostess, starts serving coffee. Deb snorted when Lindsay tried to fill Warren’s full cup.

 

Justin comes over to the counter and starts eating my toast, watching Lindsay stand there waiting for Warren to respond.

 

“My parents were mentioning that we could have dinner at their club.” Lindsay tells him.

 

Warren sat there not saying anything and I’ve done this, where you let someone continue until they realize it’s getting them nowhere.

 

“Justin, we should get to know each other, I mean if you and Brian decide to stay married than as Gus’s mom, we’ll be part of each other’s lives.” She must have thought Justin didn’t learn anything from Grampy, but yes, he learned to look through someone too.

 

“Brian, don’t you think we should all make sure that Gus sees us as family?” She ask me.

 

“When you tell everyone, including your family, and I mean ALL of your family how that bun got in your oven, then Justin and I will gladly have dinner with your parents.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, it’s just not something I can tell my parents, and really, does it matter how Gus’s brother or sister was conceived?” She asks me, not looking very happy that I brought it up.

 

“No, it doesn’t. But I won’t put my name on a birth certificate unless it’s mine.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, I told Justin this and now I’m going to tell you. She is beyond your help.” Warren finally says something directly about Lindsay.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“I could explain it to you, but I think the words speak for themselves.” Warren tells her.

 

“Lindsay, fix your problems before you try to cause more.” Deb tells her.

 

“Deb, we need to get going. We are going to see Hunter and talk to him.” Carl tells her.

 

Deb cleaned up and followed Carl out, but Lindsay didn’t seem to see that maybe she needed to go with them. 

 

“Brian, when I put the code in it didn’t work.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“How soon will my house be done?” I hear Justin ask Grampy.

 

“Are you letting Granny decorate?” He asked Justin.

 

“If it means I can move in, then yes, but on my budget, not yours.” He tells him.

 

“I could help.” Lindsay offers, and really, I see the family likeness in the ‘What the hell’ look they gave her.

 

“Brian, we need to get going.” Warren tells me.

 

Justin and I go get dressed and I hear Warren and Lindsay talking, and whatever he told her, she left without saying anything. I look at Warren.

 

“I just told her that I respect people who take care of their children, which it seems my nephew might need to hear too.” He tells me, walking out.

 

“Michael is never going to get on his good side.” Justin tells me, walking out behind him.

 

I locked my door and thought, no, because Michael got on the wrong side of Justin. I can understand Warren’s point of view.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I really didn’t need this while I'm working, but I guess I can't pick the people allowed in the hospital. 

 

“Can we talk?” Lindsay asks, sitting with Michael.

 

“Are you sick, because that's normally why people come here?” I ask her.

 

“We just wanted to be able to talk to you without everyone interfering.” Michael tells me. 

 

“You know, running around when you're sick isn’t how to get better.” I tell him. 

 

“My doctor said it's not contagious.” He tells me. 

 

“No, but you risk your health.” I tell him, but since he’s here I figure he should get a check up, because there will be a bill for this conversation.

 

“I want to know why you're making it sound to my Ma like Ben and I are bad parents.” He tells me, when I look at the welts that look like they are starting to disappear.

 

“I call it the way I see it. You do realize that your son isn’t handling the fact that you ignore his needs because you're too busy being worried about everything but him.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just him not wanting to go to school.” He tells me, crossing his arms. Which I uncross and listen to his lungs and heart.

 

“Have you not listened to him when he tells you that people are treating him like a disease and not a person?” I ask, noting his chart.

 

“Everyone had to deal with shit like that.” Michael tells me.

 

“If you could have gone somewhere where you were treated better and shown possible futures would you have?” I ask him.

 

“I had Brian to keep the assholes at bay.” He tells me, and yes we all discussed that one this morning.

 

“Hunter doesn’t have a Brian, so I’m giving him a Justin, unless you and Ben wake up.” I tell him.

 

“Well unlike you, Ben and I don’t have the kind of money a private school costs.” He tells me.

 

“Did you even read the information that Hunter has on the school I suggested?” I ask him, because I made sure that the school was endowed, for this reason.

 

“He said it was some school you suggested and I just assumed you didn’t understand what it’s like to live like a normal person.” He tells me, and I see Lindsay’s been talking about Grampy.

 

“The school is a place for anyone who needs an environment where learning was the only thing that matters. It’s not a private school, like the one that yes, I went to. It’s a private school only in that it’s not considered state funded. Hunter will have to meet qualifications, but I can tell you he does and it won’t cost you anything but the gas it takes to get him there.” I tell him.

 

“Why do you even give a shit about my kid?” He asks.

 

“Because I hate seeing someone give up when he fought so hard to get this far. Michael there has to be some reason you went as far as to adopt Hunter. Think about it, and see that he’s going to need you and Ben to support him and see when he’s having problems.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve been sick, and I’m sorry that I couldn’t be father of the year.” He sneers.

 

“You know, I’m just not going to say that you could have prevented this, because it just doesn’t seem to penetrate. Either help Hunter or I’ll give him a place where he can get help. I’m done with you. Lindsay hop on the table.” I almost laughed when she did just that. I guess they can listen.

 

“Justin, I know I shouldn’t have barged in this morning but I feel like we need to get to know each other for my son’s sake.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay, have you been seeing your doctor?” I ask, because I’m just not going to have this conversation with her.

 

“I wanted to wait until Mel had Jenny. I didn’t want my doctor telling Mel about this.” She is not really telling me this.

 

“How have you managed your prenatal care?” I ask her.

 

“I got some vitamins off the shelf at the store. I’ve been pregnant before this.” She tells me.

 

“The ones from the shelf don’t always have what you need, so seeing any doctor would have made sure you got what you needed. Are you trying to hurt this baby?” I ask her.

 

“I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do with this baby. I want Mel and I back together but how am I going to get her to forgive me for sleeping with Sam?” She asks me like I’m her therapist.

 

“Have you tried telling her the truth, it goes a long way.” I tell her, because this isn’t abnormal for patients to tell me everything.

 

“You and Mel need to straighten this shit out, because I don’t like that my daughter isn’t being taken care of.” Michael so helpfully adds.

 

“I would, but Ben and Hunter can’t seem to get that Mel can’t miss me if they’re waiting on her hand and foot.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Well someone has to be there, since you're too busy trying to blame my best friend for your fuck up.” Michael tells her.

 

“If Brian had just gone along with it, then I wouldn’t be having to stay with my parents who want me to get them an invitation to meet Justin’s family.” She tells us.

 

“Tell your parents that my Grampy doesn’t really do the whole social climbing network, and maybe instead of telling Mel she needs to forgive you, learn to say you fucked up.” I tell her, listening to something that says Lindsay needs to see her doctor. “You said you were five months, why?” I ask.

 

“I started showing and Sam and I were together longer than I told Brian. I didn’t want to say that I just broke it off.” Lindsay is just digging deeper into her own grave.

 

“You told me that it was once.” Michael screeches.

 

“Mel and I were having problems and Sam was just easier.” She tells him.

 

“How do you feel about twins?” I ask, and hey, they both shut up.

 

BRIAN

 

Walking into the hospital, I would have loved to say it was because Justin and I were going to spend time together, but no, it’s because my best friends seem to think this is the place to corner Justin. When he texted that it might be a good idea to keep Michael and Lindsay from killing each other, I just grabbed my keys. A nurse waved me over and asked me to follow her.

 

She pointed to a room at the end of a long hallway. Justin was standing outside it shaking his head.

 

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I had to separate them.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why not kick them out?” I ask him.

 

“Because Lindsay needs to deal with the fact that Sam left more than one surprise and Michael needed to be kept from harassing Mel.” He tells me.

 

“How did this become your problem?” I ask him.

 

“You know, I think it all started with Michael nuzzling my neck, which led to me marrying a twenty, but it’s kind of hazy.” He tells me pulling me in for a kiss.

 

“Brian, you need to come in here and support me.” Michael tells me. I kissed Justin one last time and entered the fray.

 

“Michael thinks he and Ben should keep Jenny.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Michael, sit in your chair and both of you shut the hell up.” Justin tells them.

 

“But…” Michael sits down.

 

“You came to my hospital and most likely caused people who really needed to see a doctor to have to wait, because you needed to bitch. I don’t appreciate the waste of time that you two caused. Michael you're not taking very good care of the kid that lives in your house so taking on a baby who will require twenty-four-seven care sounds like more that you can handle. Lindsay, it’s time to make an appointment with a doctor who will monitor this pregnancy. The labs came back and you are immune to chickenpox, which your doctor would have been able to tell you if you had gone to one appointment in the last three months, not five.” I tell her.

 

“So you lied about that too?” I really didn’t need an answer to that one.

 

“What am I supposed to do? Mel isn’t going to want two children from an affair.” Lindsay seems to think Justin and I are going to somehow come up with the solution.

 

“Ben and I will make that decision, you know, like how Brian seemed to marry you without telling me.” Michael tells us.

 

“What the hell does that have to do with you solving your homelife?” Justin asks him. 

 

“How the hell is he Auntie D and Deb’s kid?” Justin asks me.

 

“How do you know about my father and why did you call him Aunie?” Michael asks looking at Justin.

 

“Because Uncle Danny doesn’t like being called Uncle.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why are you calling him anything?” Michael asks crossing his arms.

 

“He’s my Granny’s younger brother, so that makes him my Uncle.” Justin explains as if he’s talking to a small child.

 

Michael didn’t say anything more but got up and ran out of the room and most likely out of the hospital. Lindsay was still sitting there and didn’t seem to get that it was time to go. Well, until she looked at me.

 

“The hospital is expecting payment.” Justin tells me.

 

“Lindsay, you are going to learn to pay your bills.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, without Mel…” Lindsay stops when Justin slams out of the room.

 

I follow him until he reaches the nurses station and watch as Justin calls billing. I grab the phone and hang it up. It’s time that they figure it out on their own.

 

“We only need to worry about things that involve us.” I tell him.

 

“I was just going to put it as my free clinic hours. I have to do them anyway.” Justin tells me.

 

“Which, as you said, would take your time from people who deserve it. Let them understand this is not the place for them to come.” I tell him.

 

“I have to get back, thanks for coming.” Justin tells me standing.

 

“If you call, I’m there, I heard that marriage means being there for each other.” I tell him.

 

“Your doing so much better at this marriage thing.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“When I want something I succeed...” I tell him.

 

“Maybe that’s why I like you.” Justin tells me.

 

“I like you too.” I tell him and for now it’s enough.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

“Mommy, do you think he's dreaming of taking his most favorite person for ice cream.” Callie asks while peeling my eye open. I snatched her up and tickled her for waking me up from a pretty good dream.

 

“So what caused that smile?” Daphne asks.

 

“I got to live the fantasy.” I tell her over Callie’s shrieking.

 

“So was it up to all you thought it was?” She asks.

 

“Let's just say it lived up to and beyond what I believed.” I tell her. 

 

“Have you figured out what you want to do?” She asks. 

 

“I think I'm more confused. It doesn't help that my family likes him.” I tell her. 

 

“I want ice cream.” Callie tells me. At nine in the morning.

 

“We have to wait until after lunch, your mom's rule.” I tell her. 

 

“Mommy can make her favorite wait.” Callie informs us. Nothing like jealousy to get Callie to warm up to Andy.

 

“Baby, Andy can't do things like you can.” Daphne tells her.

 

“I'm moving into Uncle Justy’s house, he loves me best.” She tells us. 

 

“Sorry kiddo, but since I had to give birth to you, you have to stay.” Daphne tells her.

 

“Uncle Justy needs a kid, so I decided you can keep Smelly Andy. I'm going with him.” She tells us, running out of my room.

 

There are days I just don’t envy Daphne. I've always been saddened by the fact that kids were something I would never have naturally with with a partner. It led to me deciding to adopt someday, because blood doesn’t make a child mine. 

 

“I really don't know what to do. She barely looks at Andy.” Daphne tells me. 

 

“Give her time, we spoiled her so much that I think it's hard for her to understand you can love more that just her.” I tell her. 

 

“So are you staying here or is this just a place to crash?” She asks. 

 

“My house, or the insane house Grampy bought, is getting done, so I'm crashing for now.” I tell her. 

 

Daphne sits next to me sighing. “Why do we have to grow up?” She asks.

 

“Because you married the love of your life.” I tell her. 

 

“But I just always saw us staying together.” She tells me. 

 

“I'm not leaving you, just allowing you and Andrew to build a life with your family. As much as I would love to live with you guys, it's time for you to see Andrew as your confidant. He doesn’t make an issue of the fact that you run to me when you're upset, but I think he's waiting for you to run to him.” I tell her. 

 

“He loves you too.” She tells me. 

 

“I know, but I think it's time for us to see what it's like to let Andrew have the family you married him to have.” I tell her. 

 

“You’re a part of it.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll always be there, but I need to see if maybe there’s something out there for me too.” I tell her. 

 

“You mean if Brian could be someone you want.” She tells me.

 

“I mean that I need to give Brian and me a chance to see if this crazy marriage can work.” I tell her.

 

“What’s he like?” She asks

 

“He’s different from the other guys I’ve been with. Grampy doesn’t bother him, he seems to value honesty and I think one of the things that made me want to give him a chance was how he loves his son. He loves Gus without conditions.” I tell her.

 

“Unlike Craig.” She tells me putting her arm around me.

 

“Dad just refuses to see me.” I tell her.

 

“Does Brian see you?” She asks me.

 

“I’ve let him into my world, which he hasn’t taken advantage of. He actually refused Grampy trying to give him half the Ironmen.” I tell her.

 

“Are you two done?” Callie comes in wearing her favorite princess shirt.

 

BRIAN

 

Meeting Justin’s father was not like meeting the rest of his family. I could tell Warren would rather be anywhere than sitting in my office getting his ass kissed by the jackass.

 

“Warren, it’s like you forget we still share family.” Craig tells him jokingly.

 

“I was telling Justin just the other day how it always amazes me that you're actually his father.” Warren smiled, but only an idiot wouldn’t have seen that he wasn’t kidding.

 

“Hopefully Molly will follow us into business one day.” Craig, the idiot, tells him.

 

“Is there a reason you're here at Brian’s office?” Warren asks him.

 

“I actually came to talk to Brian about something a friend’s daughter told me. Which I’m sure you’ll agree with me, that we should  handle Justin’s mistake quietly.” Craig tells Warren.

 

“What mistake would that be?” Warren asks, and I could almost wonder, but don’t, how Warren being in my office seems to make Craig see any possibility of Warren helping him.

 

“I had a file prepared and I think you should read the kind of man my son is involved with.” Craig tells him and now the briefcase makes sense. Craig is here to smear me.

 

“I doubt that’s going to tell me anything I don’t already know.” Warren tells Craig.

 

“He’s the owner of a club that allows men to commit disgusting acts of perversion in the club. According to what my investigator found, he’s not the kind of man you want blackening your family name. Justin needs to know the kind of person he’s befriending.” He tells Warren. 

 

“You mean the man your son married?” I ask. 

 

“I mean the man that hopefully Warren would see as a liability to my son’s future. So that he will agree that this unfortunate mistake should be taken care of promptly.” He tells us.

 

“How did you decide that Brian’s a liability?” Warren asks.

 

“Justin doesn’t need to continue this idea that he’s… not... not... normal.” Craig tells him.

 

“You mean that he likes dick?” I ask.

 

“I mean that he could have a normal life with a woman.” Craig tells me.

 

“Which won’t happen Dad.” Justin tells him from the doorway.

 

“Justin, I think we need to talk about you coming to the fundraiser. I think it would look better if you showed up with me and Diana. You could escort your step sister, Gina.” Craig tells him.

 

“Brian and I already agreed to show up with Mom and Tuck. Gina can come with Molly, if she needs an escort at fourteen.” Justin tells him.

 

“Couldn’t you for once, support my family?” Craig tells him.

 

“Only if you support mine.” Justin tells him, pulling me into a kiss.

 

“Warren do you really want our set to see that?” Craig was looking anywhere but at us.

 

“Maybe if your set sees what it’s like to actually love someone, they’d quit marrying only to get standing, the way you seem to.” Warren tells him.

 

“I didn’t marry Jen for standing.” Craig tells Warren.

 

“You didn’t marry her because you loved her either. I’m just glad that my daughter finally saw you for the man you are.” Warren tells him.

 

“Jen left me because I felt that we should get Justin help.” Craig tells us.

 

“It’s not like a cold Dad, soup and a bed won’t cure it.” Justin tells him.

 

“I only wanted you to have the things that being this way is going to deny you.” Craig tells him.

 

“The only thing I won’t have is a child that is both of us, but there are lots of kids out there that need parents, so I can have that.” Justin tells him.

 

“I’m sure Warren would want a heir who is tied by blood.” Craig should just give up.

 

“Oh, I guess I thought it was about wanting to be a father, my mistake.” Justin tells him. 

 

“Of course it is, but bringing a child from who knows where into the kind of life you were raised in is just cruel to someone who will always be an outsider. Justin, I'm willing to accept your… lifestyle, but I think there are better candidates than, and no offence Kinney, a man who came from his background.” Craig tells him.

 

“You mean if I had picked someone like your pal Robert’s son, my being gay would have worked for you?” Justin asks. 

 

“At least it wouldn't be with, as my investigation shows, a slut, who fucks anyone.” Craig tells him.

 

“Let's not go there Dad.” Justin tells him. 

 

“I agree with Justin, Craig. You fucking half your staff doesn’t mean that you should call Brian anything, especially when it’s a name you could apply to yourself. I have the report for that, if you'd like to read it… guess not.” Warren tells Craig as he stands up and walks out.

 

“I guess you just need to learn the right way to be gay.” I tell Justin.

 

“You want to teach me how to be the best homosexual I can be?” He asks.

 

“Justin, flirt with your husband later, he has a business to run.” Warren winks. 

 

“Grampy you just take all the fun out of marriage.” Justin tells him. 

 

MICHAEL 

 

I spent the whole night in my room trying to see how I felt about that shithead being related to me. He grew up privileged and spoiled, while I was lucky if I got new clothes every year. My father was there for him, not me. How the fuck is that fair?

 

Ma was making breakfast when I came down and I think she should be angry that while we were struggling, my father could have made our lives easier.

 

“It looks like you're less blotchy.” She tells me. 

 

“I found out that MY FATHER could have made our lives easier.” I tell her. 

 

“Michael, he is never going to be what you wanted. Danny was a confused kid who never meant to hurt us.” She tells me.

 

“So you're finally ready to face the truth. That you got knocked up by him and I actually have a living father?” I ask, pissed.

 

“You knew that it was true, but you let it go, so I did too.” She tells me.

 

“He didn’t have anything to offer then.” I tell her.

 

“He still doesn’t Michael.” She tells me.

 

“He could of helped us out, but seems to only care about that blond asshole. He’s my father and yet I don’t even get to use the title, but JUSTIN can call him family.” I tell her.

 

“He’s Justin’s uncle, which means he is Justin’s family too.” She tells me.

 

“I’m his son and should come first.” I tell her.

 

“All sons should come first, but that’s a lesson you need to learn yourself.” She tells me slamming a plate down.

 

“I’m talking about ME!” I tell her.

 

“I want to talk about your son, so you’ll just have to deal with that.” She tells me.

 

“This is all Justin’s fault for filling Hunter’s head with shit that wasn’t there.” I tell her.

 

“Hunter needs for his fathers to stop being so unaware of him.” She tell me.

 

“Oh, did the Doctor tell you that?” I sneer.

 

“I opened my ears and listened to Hunter. You’ve been running around acting like Jenny made Hunter less important. It’s time for you to be the father you promised him when you and Ben adopted him.” She tells me.

 

“I only adopted him to make Ben happy!” I yell.

 

“Well, I guess I know now.” Hunter says from behind me.

 

“I didn’t mean that the way it sounded.” I yell when Hunter runs out of the house.

 

“MICHAEL, go after him and tell him that you were just running your mouth.” Ma tells me.

 

“He’ll be back.” I tell her, and know it for the lie that it is. 

 

JUSTIN

 

I came back with lunch for Brian and Grampy, when my phone beeped. It wasn’t a number I recognized.

 

“He never wanted me.” Came in text.

 

“Brian, whose number is this?” I ask, showing him my phone.

 

Before he could answer, his phone went off and Ted came in.

 

“Brian, Ben…” Ted stopped when Brian held his hand up.

 

“We’ll find him.” Brian tells her hanging up. “Justin, call that number and see if Hunter will answer you.” Brian tells me.

 

“First tell me why he sent this.” I tell him.

 

“Michael seemed to think yelling that Ben was the only reason he went through with the adoption was something Hunter needed to hear.” He tells me.

 

“Ben said Hunter showed up and grabbed his stuff and left without talking to him.” Ted tells us.

 

I called the number, trying not show how I really felt about this. Brian came over and put his arms around me while I hoped the phone would get answered. 

 

“Sorry, for bothering you.” Hunter tells me.

 

“How about coming to my house and hanging out while my Granny and Mom drive me nuts.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t need my shit.” He tells me.

 

“As your cousin, it’s like only right that we share in the torture of decorating.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, I heard about that, but I’m not really…”

 

“Don’t disappoint women who need another child to hen peck.” I tell him.

 

“I guess I could keep them from turning it to Home and Garden.” He tells me, and I’m going to call this a victory for now.

 

“Please, they are so Martha Stewart, which is worse. So come to Kinnetik and join forces with the males of the family. We are few, and they are many.” I tell him.

 

“With Brian, you don’t need more.” He tells me hanging up.

 

“Michael is just losing more points in any possibility that I’m going to be happy he’s related to me.” I tell Brian.

 

Grampy had the look that seemed to agree with me.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 17 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Hunter told me where to pick him up, and I just wanted to pick up all the kids standing there waiting for some asshole to show up and do things that these kids didn’t ever need to have happen to them. 

 

“Justin, you can’t save the world.” Hunter tells me getting in.

 

“I could at least get them a meal or even a place they can feel safe to sleep.” I tell him.

 

“Which would help for a day, Sometimes life sucks.” He tells me tiredly.

 

I look at two of the kids and fuck it, at least they could be not hungry for one day. I called the diner and asked if they could have twenty dinners ready. 

 

“Those two are just stupid.” He tells me when I looked at the two guys.

 

“Why?” I ask as I drive off.

 

“They have homes that the parents aren’t total shits, but the one guy is scared of how his dad is going to take that he’s gay. The other kid’s mom is a junkie but she loves him, as much as a junkie can. He’s got decent foster parents but he’s following motorcross like a dipshit.” He tells me.

 

“How do you know so much?” I ask him.

 

“Like you seem to care about everyone, I care that the guys don’t do stupid shit.” He tells me and I hate that he knows so much about what could happen and maybe has to these kids.

 

“Why aren’t you telling them to go home?” I ask.

 

“Why would they listen to me when they can’t see for themselves?” He asks me.

 

We walk in and wait for the food. Hunter still doesn’t see what he is to those kids. I saw them listening to him, even when it’s just him cracking a joke.

 

“You know that you're the kind of person kids in trouble would listen to?” I ask him.

 

“Why, I’m just some kid who couldn’t tell you which john was my father.” He tells me, shrugging.

 

“You lived the life that they are headed for, unlike me. Coming from you it wouldn’t sound like someone with no real experience talking.” I tell him.

 

“Is there some reason you think I’m any example for people?” He asks.

 

“You might be acting like I’m wasting my time, but you didn’t stop me from feeding these kids.” I tell him.

 

“One meal can keep them away from becoming me.” He tells me.

 

“Then one meal is something I can do everyday.” I tell him.

 

“Your kind of not normal, you know that?” He asks me when we loaded my car.

 

We delivered the meals, and I needed to see if I could at least offer the two who seemed like they were running from good homes something. Hunter convinced them to accept the tickets I would get to get them home. I let them know that if they needed help just call and I’d do what I could for them.

 

When we got to my house I needed to be away from people for awhile. Granny and Mom took Hunter under their wing and I ran up to the bedroom. An hour later there was knock and I was mostly ready to deal with people. When Brian came in, I walked into his arms and just let him bring me down from hating what happens to kids.

 

“You know that even if you wanted to, not all of those kids would let you help.” Brian whispers in my ear.

 

“I had such a great life, why can’t they all?” I let the tears fall.

 

“Because the world is full of people who should never have had children.” He tells me.

 

“Yes, and I want them and can’t have them.” I tell him.

 

“Why, because we’re gay. I have a son who will grow up knowing you and that’s really something special.” He tells me.

 

“What if we don’t stay together?” I ask him.

 

“Would you not want Gus around if we didn’t?” He asks me.

 

“I would love to have him in my life, but I want to eventually adopt kids who are in situations like Hunter’s.” I tell him, because he needs to know, if he stays, that it’s something I have to do.

 

“When you and I decide where this is going, then I’ll help you do that too.” He tells me.

 

“You would?” I ask him.

 

“Do you know that you're beautiful when you cry?” He tells me, kissing me.

 

Instead of sex, he sat on the floor in the unfurnished room and pulled me down to sit between his legs. 

 

“You know the first thing I thought about you when we met again?” He asks me.

 

“That I was an eavesdropping weirdo?” I ask.

 

“That you couldn’t be real. Who cares about someone they never met?” He asks me.

 

“I just cooked you something to eat.” He tells me.

 

“Not everyone’s like that. Justin, do you know what most people do when they see those street kids?” He asks me. “They pretend they don’t see them. You're up here trying to figure out how to help them when the rest of us would walk by. It’s why I’m amazed by you.” He tells me.

 

“Everyone deserves a good life.” I tell him.

 

“Yes, but we don’t live in a world where it’s all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes shitty things happen to people who don’t deserve them and sometimes assholes get good lives.” He tells me.

 

“Is it too much to want to help the ones I can?” I ask, because I know sometimes I take it too far.

 

“Where were you when I could have used you to keep me from being an uncaring asshole? You make me want to care.” He tells me.

 

“I’m here now.” I tell him turning to face him.

 

BRIAN

 

I pulled Justin to rest his head on my shoulder because he’s practically falling apart over kids, who like me, didn’t have a great life. I feel this burning in my chest, it’s like this fire that’s burning for this man who wants to bleed for the whole world. Out of all the stupid shit I’ve done, I thought getting drunkenly married was the top of the list. Now I’m starting to wonder if it’s one of my finest achievements. 

 

“What do you think of maybe going out of town for the weekend?” I ask because we need time to really get to know each other without so many people being there.

 

“Do you have a business meeting or something?” He asks me.

 

“No, I think it would be nice to know the man I could love.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben showed up and wanted to know what happened that caused Hunter to take off again. Hunter doesn’t like something and he runs away is what it is, but of course Ma blames me and Ben probably will too.

 

“I was angry because I found out that my real father, who left us to rot, was there for the fucking doctor. Ma wanted to talk about what that shit convinced everyone was wrong with Hunter. So I ran my mouth and Hunter heard something I didn’t mean to say.” I tell him.

 

“What did you say?” Ben asks.

 

“It was just something that I didn’t mean to say.” I tell him, because I know he’s going to get pissed about this.

 

“WHAT. DID. YOU. SAY!” He yells.

 

“I fucking said that you were the only reason we adopted Hunter, because you wanted it and I wanted to make you happy. I didn’t know Hunter was behind me.” I tell him.

 

“Jesus, how could either of us think we were doing anything better than his mother?” Ben asks me, covering his face with his hands.

 

“We gave him a roof over his head and a way not to have to sell his ass on the streets. That’s more than the crack head did for him.” I tell him.

 

“Do you even want him?” Ben asks me.

 

“How can you ask me that. I signed fucking papers to adopt him.” I tell him.

 

“You didn’t answer me, do you want Hunter as our son?” He asks me.

 

“This is all Justin’s fault, everything was fine until he showed up.” I tell Ben.

 

“No, it isn’t, and all the pretending in the world isn’t going to change the fact that we didn’t take care of more than food and shelter for Hunter. Justin was right, we were both ignoring Hunter.” He tells me.

 

“That asshole isn’t right, he’s making people think and do things they wouldn’t have if he wasn’t around.” I tell him.

 

Brian would never have gotten married. He wouldn’t be ignoring me, and acting like he is. 

 

“So now Brian having a life without you in it, is a problem?” Ben asks. 

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“You just said that out loud.” He tells me getting up and slamming the front door.

 

Fuck!!

 

EMMETT

 

I looked down at Drew asleep and I’m so confused. I want us to be together, but not in the shadows. He keeps telling me that he would rather that I stay out of the whole press thing and I don’t really want to be a part of it. I get up and leave quietly because I need to think without Drew clouding the issue for me.

 

In the lobby, I see Warren sitting on the couches. He smiles and waves me over.

 

“How are things Emmett?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t know.” I tell him.

 

“You look like you could use a drink, why not let an old man buy?” He tells me.

 

“The last older gentleman that bought was George.” I tell him, taking his arm when he held it out.

 

“George was a good man, but he hid his life the way Drew did.” He tells me.

 

“I wish he was still around. He would have been someone who I could have talked to.” I tell him.

 

“Well, I’m not gay but I don’t mind listening.” He tells me smiling.

 

Sitting down, he ordered me a cosmo and him a whisky. I didn’t even ask how he knew.

 

“Emmett you need to understand that what is about to happen to Drew isn’t going to be sweet coming out interviews, and he’s worried about how you're going to deal with the stuff that will be dug up about your life and thrown out there to either make you a villain or worse.” He tells me.

 

“I come from nowhere in hicktown USA. My family is the kind you see in those videos, you know the ones where they find the biggest idiot around, one who says things like, ‘Yeah, I told my cousin’s wife’s sister’s daughter that we could ride out the tidal wave in our jon boat’.” I tell him, laughing when he looks confused.

 

“Well Emmett this isn’t a tidal wave but a tsunami, nothing will be safe when it hits him. You need to decide if he’s the person who you feel will keep you safe while it’s coming at you.” He tells me.

 

“Why aren’t you just telling me to walk away?” I ask him.

 

“For a selfish reason, Drew’s one of mine, it’s how I view anyone who I employ. If he can have someone at his side to see him through this, than I want that person to stay through it all.” He tells me.

 

“What makes you think I would be that person?” I ask.

 

“Because you’ve stuck by every person you cared for. I like that about you.” He tells me, toasting me.

 

“Please tell me you didn’t get a file on me?” I really wasn’t asking. I lifted my cosmo and toasted him. “I guess Drew is going to do a love story.” I tell him.

 

“I always did love those.” He tells me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

BRIAN

 

On my way to work, I looked at these kids that Justin wanted to help. I drove away wondering if this was how to spin Drew. I called Warren to tell him to bring Drew in, then I called Justin because I know how this is going to look, but it could help too.

 

“Brian, Michael is in your office.” Cynthia tells me before I go in.

 

“I’ll handle him.” I tell her.

 

Walking in and seeing the look on his face, I just don’t have time for this.

 

“Michael, today isn’t the day for you to come here. You screwed up, fix it yourself.” I tell him.

 

“So Lindsay and I are no longer your best friends?” He asks.

 

“Why does that have anything to do with you showing up in my office when I’m busy?” I ask him.

 

“So he’s convinced you to turn your back on me. I guess that he gets to have it all, while people like Ma and me struggled. Do you think it’s fair that MY FATHER ran around taking care of some spoiled rich brat and not me?” Michael seems to think that yelling it was a way to get me to side with him.

 

“Right now I think that you need to go home to Ben and figure out how to solve this thing with Hunter, because I have a job to do.” I tell him as Warren comes in.

 

“Sorry Brian, but we’re waiting and Justin has to get to the hospital. I was just checking to see if you were ready.” Warren tells me, not looking at Michael.

 

“I guess you plan on ignoring me like my father did.” Michael tells him.

 

“What do you need Michael?” Warren asks.

 

“I want to know how my family could ignore me and Ma.” He tells him.

 

“That’s something you can ask your father when he comes.” Warren tells him.

 

“Well Uncle Warren, I’m asking how some spoiled kid rated attention, but I didn’t.” Michael tells him.

 

“MY Grandson grew up with advantages, but that didn’t make him spoiled. I don’t understand how having a mother who loved you and did everything she could was a hardship.” Warren tells him.

 

“We didn’t have things that we could have had if my father had thought about us.” He tells Warren.

 

“Danny didn’t have much more than you did when you were young. He was raised in family similar to yours, so there wouldn’t have been much coming from that corner.” Warren tells him.

 

“What are you talking about, your all loaded.” Michael tells him.

 

“I’m ‘loaded’ as you say, because I worked for it, in order to give my family everything. Have you ever worked for anything, or were you handed everything by your mother, Brian, and now Ben?” He asks Michael.

 

“I own a store, nothing in your league, but I started it and run it.” He tells Warren.

 

“How did you pay for it again?” Emmett asks, as he comes in with Drew.

 

“I sold the comic Brian gave me.” He tells me.

 

“Which means that once again, Brian helped you. Really Michael, now isn’t the time for this.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Why are you here if Brian needs to work?” Michael asks.

 

“It involves me and Drew.” He tells Michael, who looks confused.

 

“Wait, you're the one he cheated with?” He asks Emmett, but then turns to me. “So this is what's so important that helping me isn’t convenient?” He looks at Warren and I, but when Justin walked in he zeroed in on him. “My husband is pissed because of you running your mouth.” He tells Justin. 

 

Justin walks to Michael and pulls him by the arm out of my office. We follow him out as he walks past Cynthia and towards the front door.

 

“What the fuck are you doing?” Michael yells.

 

“I’m making it so that I can get to work, people at the hospital have real problems that make listening to you not as important. So I need to find out why Brian wanted me here and then I need to get to work. In order to do that it means, cousin dear, that you need to leave.” Justin tells him and opens the door.

 

“I don’t have to do anything you want me too.” He tells Justin outside the door.

 

“Sean, could you take Michael to his place of business.” Justin completely ignores Michael.

 

“I’m not going anywhere.” Michael tells him.

 

“Really, you want to have some advantages that I did, here’s one that I can give you. I suggest you take advantage of riding in the back of a chauffeured car and maybe come up with the real reason you hate your life enough to screw up with Hunter, then maybe someone will want to listen to you.” Justin tells him closing the door.

 

We all backed into my office before Justin saw us. He walks in and acts like he didn’t just kick Michael’s ass out.

 

“What?” He asks.

 

“You just took him out of here. Didn’t put up the shit we all usually do.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I deal with people when their emotions are all over the place. I learned that it’s easier not to fight with someone when they aren’t really thinking but acting on misplaced feelings. In Michael’s case he seems to just want to blame me because he fucked up, I don’t play that game with anybody.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian, why are we here?” Warren asks me.

 

“I need to talk to Justin first.” I tell them, leading Justin to my bathroom and shutting the door.

 

“Nice bathroom, but I really do have to get to work.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

“Didn't you just leave the hospital a few hours ago?” I ask.

 

“Yeah, but since I was scheduled for Saturday, I traded with another doctor so I could go with you.” He tells me.

 

“I thought you were setting up your own practice?” I ask him.

 

“I am, but until Daphne and I have everything done, this fills time. I’m used to being busy. Now can you tell me why you wanted to talk to me?” He asks me.

 

“I need to do something that might seem almost like I’m using those street kids. I’m not, but it’s to help Drew and possibly help them too.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you telling me?” He asks.

 

“Because I don’t want you to see this as taking advantage of these kids. I want to explain to you why I’m going to suggest this to Drew and Warren, before I even think about doing it.” I tell him.

 

“No, you're going to explain it to them, and I’m going to give you something I give very few people, my trust and belief that you're doing the right thing for all of them.” He tells me.

 

“I’m planning on using the profit…” I try to tell him.

 

“Trust is a marvelous thing, use it well.” He kisses me and walks out.

 

I didn’t move for a minute, he’s trusting me by not letting me explain to him my idea. I walk out and I will not fuck this up.

 

“Justin said he would bring dinner over tonight.” Warren tells me.

 

“Then we need to get to work, we have a full couple of days coming. Emmett, can you go tell Ted to drop everything and get in here.” I tell him.

 

“Brian what are you thinking?” Warren asks me.

 

“I’m thinking that I can help your grandson and Drew at the same time. It’s going to require an open checkbook, because an outreach center for runaways isn’t cheap and will need constant influx of funds. The money that Kinnetik makes from this will go straight into the center. Drew you're the face. The press is going to want Drew to talk and when he does he is going to talk about the Ironmen sponsoring a center for all runaways. When they ask about the affair, Drew is going to learn to how to turn the question. One way is that you tell them, as much as everyone wants to know about the scandal, that the center is too important to him for it to be brushed aside for gossip and innuendo.” I tell them.

 

“This would also be a way to get the team one charity in common.” Warren tells me.

 

“So I can keep Emmett out of this?” Drew asks.

 

“No, because your ex did an interview this morning telling how Emmett was originally the wedding planner.” Warren tells him.

 

“Fuck, I didn’t want him to have to deal with all this shit.” Drew tells us.

 

“You're my safety on the shore.” Emmett tells him winking at Warren. I didn’t ask because I’m sure Emmett would take an hour to tell us.

 

“Emmett, you need to go with Ted and find a building that’s for sale. Drew can’t go with you because right now you're still not recognizable, but he is.” I tell him.

 

“What do I do?” Drew asks.

 

“You and your agent are going to sit with Cynthia, who will work with you on how to turn questions to what we want them to hear.” I tell him.

 

Warren stayed on the couch as they all left and leaned back with his hands over his stomach.

 

“What did this have to do with Justin?” He asks me.

 

“Justin wants to save those kids.” I tell him.

 

Warren sat up nodded and then walked to my door. “There is no limit on what you need from me.” He tells me.

 

“That’s a dangerous thing to say.” I tell him.

 

“Justin wouldn’t think twice about giving away his entire trust and I want to prevent that.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“Because I want Justin to be selfish for once in his life and use what I gave him on himself.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t think he could.” I tell him.

 

“What did Justin say when you told him?” He asks me.

 

“He wouldn’t let me tell him. He’s going to trust me to do the right thing.” I tell him.

 

“Do you feel like we might be doing the wrong thing?” He ask me.

 

“We offer those kids a place to sleep, eat, get in programs to get jobs, and counseling. I don’t see how it could be worse than starving and other things that could happen to them. They don’t have to go through red tape for food and a chance and that’s better than a lot of programs out there that are bound by rules.” I tell him.

 

“I noticed you said all runaways not just LGBT, why?” He asks me.

 

“That part was for Drew, I don’t want it to be all about being gay. Sexuality has nothing to do with who those hustlers sleep with, because Hunter’s not gay, it was just men are the ones looking for action with little boys.” I tell him.

 

“He’s a good kid for the kind of things he went through. Don’t look at me like that Brian.” He tells me when I stare him down. “He talked to Helen and she told me, I would not have investigated a kid.” He tells me.

 

“No, just anyone in my life.” I tell him.

 

“No, anyone who enters Justin’s life. You just interested me when I read about your life and career. It reminded me of my life.” He tells me.

 

“How you liked to trick?” I joke.

 

“I think, like me, you're the kind of man who will only ever love one person for the rest of your life. My grandson would be lucky if it was him.” He tells me, leaving my office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I finally left Kinnetik and hate that I didn’t get out of there until almost ten at night. I tried to call Justin but Warren told me that Justin doesn’t answer his phone when he’s in the hospital. When he did call me, I couldn’t talk to him because Drew’s ex went on another smear interview. This time with pictures, to make Emmett more recognizable. Drew and I had to find Emmett, who like Justin, wasn’t answering. We got lucky that Blake got them in the rehab center before the press could corner Emmett. Now I’m coming home to a hopefully not pissed off Justin.

 

Opening the door, I groan when I see the candles on the table and the table set for dinner. He did this and I didn’t show. The loft was empty and I knew I would have to make this up to him. Walking into the bedroom, there he was, sound  asleep. I quietly walked into the bathroom and took a shower. When I came out he wasn’t in bed, but I heard him in the kitchen area. I really wasn’t sure what I’d be walking into, I’ve never been in a relationship, so this is new territory for me.

 

“Hey, I sort of crashed when I came here, but I’m warming up dinner for you.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“You didn’t have to.” I tell him.

 

“I ate already, but you need to eat, cancer takes everything from your body and it could be years before you really recover.” He tells me.

 

He hands me a red curry chicken with vegetables. “This is really mild and should be easy on you. You said you like Thai, but it doesn’t have to be spicy to still be good.” He tells me.

 

Putting the plate down, I pull him to me. “I’m sorry I didn’t make it here in time to eat with you.” I tell him, because sorry isn’t bullshit, when I mean it.

 

“Brian, I understand that sometimes work will interfere with your life and you never have to apologize when you have to work. It’s something else you’ll deal with when I work. My practice isn’t going to be just nine to five, if there is an emergency, I run to work, regardless of what’s going on in my life.” He tells me.

 

“So I married a workaholic?” I ask, looking into his eyes to see if he’s really okay with me not coming home.

 

“I’ve never been able to sit on my ass. My family are all kind of workaholics.” He tells me.

 

“I’m going to be working around the clock to get this off the ground.” I tell him.

 

“Sit down and at least eat while you talk.” He tells me, taking the plate to the table. I look at the candles and pull out my lighter and light them. I can give him this, even if I wasn’t here.

 

“Do you need to cancel this weekend, because I will understand.” He tells me.

 

“I want us to have this time to really talk and get to know each other. What I'm doing with Drew won't happen overnight, so it can wait.” I tell him.

 

“It's killing you that I won't let you tell me, isn't it?” He asks 

 

“I'm starting to understand Emmett, I have this thing that I want to tell and it's killing me.” I tell him.

 

“Is it going to happen?” He asks.

 

“Yes. And it's going to be more than a publicity stunt.” I tell him. 

 

“Then tell me, because it's already a done deal.” He tells me. 

 

“It started with you. I couldn’t just not look when I drove by, and in that moment I could see there was a way to help everyone. I want you to know that seeing your reaction to something that I just saw as a fact of life, made me see it didn’t have to be this way. What we're planning is an outreach center that can assist runaways by offering help. They don't have to do anything but walk through the door and ask. Drew is going to be the face of the campaign, but he doesn't get to just read lines and smile for the cameras. He's going to be available to talk to the kids, show them he cares. It's not going to end for him if it gets him out of his mess, because he tries to pull out, I'll let him burn.” I tell him. 

 

“Why are you doing this?” He asks me. 

 

Part of me wanted to give him my standard asshole response, but if I want a life with him, he needs to see the me I've hidden. 

 

“For me, I'm doing it for the kids out there who, like me, had a life that became to hard. I had Deb to keep me from becoming a kid on the street with no future. They don't, because if they did they wouldn't be out there, but somewhere safe. You made me see that.” I tell him. 

 

“I love that you didn't try to act like it was about me.” He tells me. 

 

“You're the cause for me to look for the cure.” I tell him. 

 

Justin got up and came over to me, then cupped his hands on my face. “I married an amazing man.” He tells me as he put his lips over mine. Pulling him down on my lap, I got lost in him. The banging on my door wasn’t how I wanted this night to continue. Hearing Ted asking to come in, meant that it was important. It's just, Justin needs to be more important.

 

“It's okay, we have the weekend.” He tells me as his phone goes off.

 

I kiss him one more time before either of us has to deal with things outside of us. Justin gets up and answers his phone, but looked confused at the number. I let Ted in, but when I heard Justin say Mel, I needed to know that Gus was okay.

 

“How high?” He asks. “When did she start to get fussy… look I'll come there… it's not a problem… Mel calm down, she might just have a cold or ear infection… sit tight, I'm on my way.” He tells her hanging up.

 

“Jenny?” I ask. 

 

“Yes. I think Mel's still a little overwhelmed by doing this alone.” He tells me. 

 

“I'll come, Gus might need me.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian there's something you need to know.” Ted tells me. 

 

“It can wait, but my son won't.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian, you know how you said you could love me?” Justin asks. “I think I could to.” He tells me. 

 

JUSTIN 

 

Ted got in my car as I drove to Mel's house. I'm starting to see why people distance themselves from certain family members.

 

“I don’t even understand why Michael did this.” Ted mumbles.

 

“If you get around to telling me then maybe I could guess.” Brian says sarcastically.

 

“I only found out because Blake has a friend that is dating a reporter.” He tells us. Brian’s groan said he didn't like that reporter and Michael were in the same sentence.

 

“TED.” He growled, when Ted seemed to not want to say anything.

 

“How could he do this to Emmett?” Ted asks.

 

“Ted, I need facts, not your inner monologue.” He tells him.

 

“I know, I know, but shit, I think Warren actually started to like me and how is he going to feel when he figures out that I’m friends with someone who could do this kind of shit. Oh God..” He starts hyperventilating. 

 

“TED, look at me.” I tell him when I stop the car and turn to him. “Take a deep breath then slowly blow it out, good, now do it again.” I waited until his breath evened out. “Grampy won’t judge you for being someone’s friend, he only judges you when you do something.” I tell him, because I’m used to the worship that is Grampy’s following.

 

“Before Justin has to save you from a massive coronary, am I to understand that Michael talked to reporters?” He asks Ted.

 

“Yes, but I don’t know what he said, just that it had to do with Emmett.” Ted tells him.

 

“Which means he opened his mouth and fucked Emmett over. We have to let Warren know, and Emmett.” Brian tells him.

 

“This is going to kill Emmett.” He tells Brian.

 

“No, it’s going to teach Emmett that right now, no one is really his friend.” Brian tells him.

 

“I would never have done this to Emmett.” Ted tells him.

 

“Ted what do you think we were working on today, we are using Emmett to save Drew. Right now you think it’s all about a building and Drew, but Emmett is going to have to be more than ‘the wedding planner who screwed the groom’. He’s going to have act as though it was love, not a role in the hay for Drew.” Brian tells him.

 

“I think Drew really loves Emmett.” Ted tells him and I don’t agree.

 

“If Drew loves Emmett he wouldn’t have hidden anything, he would have broken up with the ex and quietly dated Emmett. You don’t have a piece on the side if you love someone.” Brian tells him.

 

“Sometimes it’s being scared of who you really are.” Ted tells him.

 

“Sometimes it just fucking around.” I tell Ted.

 

“So you don’t think he loves Emmett?” Ted asks me.

 

“I think he might now, but I doubt it was more than he wanted a man and Emmett was there.” I tell him.

 

“How do you think Warren is going to take Michael running to a reporter?” Ted asks us.

 

“Grampy knows that things aren’t always going to work the way he wants them to, but he’s not going to be happy that Michael is causing more problems.” I tell him.

 

I park in Mel’s driveway and see her standing at the door with a crying baby. Gus was sitting on the steps until Brian got out and he ran and jumped to his dad.

 

“Hey sonnyboy, you're up late.” Brian tells him, kissing his head.

 

“Jenny was crying really loud. I wanted to help Mama.” He tells Brian.

 

“I’m so sorry that I called.” Mel tells me.

 

“I’m not. Let me look at her and we’ll see if we need to get to the hospital.” I tell her.

 

“I’m going to take Gus up and see if I can get him to sleep.” Brian tells her.

 

“I’m not sleepy Dad.” Gus tells him with closed eyes and head on his shoulder.

 

After checking and seeing Jenny only had an ear infection, I wrote out instructions for Mel, who admitted that Lindsay was the one who handled everything when it came to Gus.

 

“You're a single mom unless you and Lindsay get back together, so call me when you need me and I’ll try to make the transition easier.” I tell her, before going up to see Brian. Ted came in and sat with Mel.

 

“Tell Brian, Warren managed to get a copy of the interview and it’s not good.” He tells me.

 

When I walk in I see Brian laying next to Gus, just smiling at Gus as he sleeps. It’s something beautiful to see.

 

“I never thought I would love him.” Brian tells me not looking away from Gus.

 

“Why?”

 

“He didn’t fit in with the life I planned. It was just, the minute I held him, it was like I knew him and I wanted him to have a life full of happiness and love. I wanted him to have the things that I never did.” He tells me.

 

“So you gave him your love.” I tell him.

 

“I gave him what I never gave anyone, my unconditional love.” He tells me.

 

Walking in I sat on the other side of Gus and leaned over to kiss Brian. “You know, it’s really special that he got you for a father.” I tell him.

 

When Ted came to the doorway, I knew it was time for Brian to become the spin doctor. I kissed Gus and held out my hand for Brian. I’m going to give him what he’s going to need if he loses a friend. My unconditional support.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I sat on his couch while Brian became all business. It was a transition I’ve done when I go to work. He had to watch someone who was his friend treat it as if it didn’t matter that he was hurting Emmett. 

 

“I feel awful for that poor girl, who did nothing but believe in her fiance.” Michael tells the reporter when asked why he was willing to talk.

 

“Emmett most likely just saw sleeping with a man who was engaged as funny. He’s never understood commitment and what it means to the people involved in a relationship.” 

 

“I want to support Emmett, but I just can’t when he has caused this woman so much pain.” 

 

“Turn it off Ted.” Emmett begged.

 

“We don’t need to see any more.” Brian tells Ted.

 

“How could do that, he makes it sound like I thought ruining Drew was fun and games.” Emmett asks.

 

“Emmett, it’s his bid for the attention that he isn’t getting from Brian.” Grampy tells him.

 

“But he’s telling people that…”

 

“He’s wants his minute that Brian wouldn’t give him, only I don’t think he understands that this wasn’t the way to go about it.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Emmett, no one is your friend right now. I’m using you to help Drew, remember that.” Brian tells him.

 

“You are my friend, you're telling me what you're doing.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I always will, but with Sierra and Michael talking, it’s going to be time for you and Drew to do an interview. It needs to look like a love that couldn’t stay hidden.” Brian tells them.

 

“I don’t know if it’s love, everything was just kind of happening.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Is he the person you see in your life twenty, thirty years from now, or even when you take your last breath? It’s how I knew my Helen was the one when she tripped into me.” Grampy asks him.

 

I thought about that, do I see Brian as the person I want with me until the end of time? What makes him more than just someone I’m attracted to? When he walked into the kitchen tonight I could tell that he was treading lightly, but I grew up with Grampy, who wasn’t always able to be at dinner, but Grampy showed up to anything important, regardless of what was going on in his boardroom. I have a feeling that Gus will have that too, because I think I’m falling in love with a man who puts the people he loves first. Holy hell, I love him? I looked up and see Grampy smiling at me, he knew.

 

BRIAN

 

“Deb is going to kill him.” Ted tells us.

 

“For once, Michael will have to deal with the things he does to himself.” I tell Ted.

 

Watching what Michael did to Emmett puts him as someone I don’t want in my life. Sitting there watching him just caused him to become ugly, in a way someone who would betray anyone becomes. 

 

“I can’t go back to Deb’s.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I don’t want anything to do with that family again.” Drew tells him.

 

Warren turned from looking at Justin, and I looked at Justin because Warren seemed happy to see something, which I didn’t think would be possible with the mess Drew had gotten in. Justin looked different for some reason, but I couldn’t figure it out.

 

“Drew you don’t punish people who didn’t do anything. Deb loves Brian, Emmett, and Ted like her sons, and you can’t expect Emmett to push her out for something Michael did.” Warren tells them.

 

“What do we do about this?” Emmett asks me.

 

“You're going to sit next to Drew and act like Michael is someone who saw a way to get in the spotlight by using your acquaintance, not friendship.” I tell him.

 

“But I used to live with him and party with him.” Emmett tells us.

 

“You lived with a roommate, paid the rent, and took the closeted roommate out, because you don’t believe in hiding who you are.” I tell him.

 

“You're telling me to make it sound like we weren’t close friends.” He tells Brian.

 

“Are you really, after Michael did that to you?” Ted asks him.

 

“It’s late and I don’t see anything that can be done until morning, so why not go home and we’ll give Brian’s team time to work on how to deal with this tomorrow?” Warren tells us.

 

“Emmett if you want to come with me, you can use the extra room in my house.” Ted tells him.

 

“No, I want Emmett with me.” Drew tells us all.

 

Emmett’s only response was to go with Drew. Maybe I’m wrong, but I just know that if I’d met Justin, any relationship I had would have ended, because you don’t hide who you love from the world… and you don’t hide that you love, either.

 

“You're figuring it out aren’t you?” Warren tells me and Justin. “Ted, let's go get some coffee and pancakes before going home, we need to talk about this problem you have with asthma.” He tells Ted, who started to breathe like Justin taught him, after Warren invited him to a late diner grease fest.

 

Justin closed my door and dimmed my lights. I waited for him to come to me. He didn’t say anything, but walked by and took off his shirt. I followed him and let him take off my shirt. We stared at each other as we undressed and I saw what I wanted to eventually hear from him in his eyes, and let him see it in mine. Justin pushed me down on the sofa and straddled my lap, and tangled his tongue with mine. I grabbed a condom out of my wallet and threw it next to us. Right now, just feeling his skin touching mine was more erotic. Running my hands down his pale skin and seeing how it looked next to my darker skin made him almost glow. Justin covered me and raised himself to join us, and at that moment I was no longer thinking, but lost in the sensation that being with him was. When I tried to move he shook his head and held my shoulders as he rode me. I’ve never seen anything more beautiful to me then him taking care of me. Just after that thought I couldn’t think, but only feel. 

 

“I get what my Grampy and Granny told me.” He whispers when we were laying besides each other later.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“That you just know sometimes, that it doesn’t have to be something, that it’s not all fireworks, sometimes it’s just seeing someone.” He tells me yawning.

 

“Sometimes you just marry the love of your life without knowing it.” I whispered when he fell asleep.

 

JUSTIN

 

I woke up and realized that we need to get back to the loft. Grabbing clothes and taking a moment to look at Brian before I woke him, I realized he wants this as much as I do. 

 

“Is there some reason you’re getting dressed?” He asks without opening his eyes.

 

“Yes, because I need bacon, just don’t tell Grampy.” I tell him putting on my clothes.

 

“I want to pick Gus up, I told him I would for breakfast.” He tells me, getting up and putting on his clothes.

 

“I guess we take my car, you know maybe think about a car that could have more than you and one other person in it.” I tell him.

 

“Why, you have one that we could use when it’s more than you and me.” He tells me, going in the bathroom.

 

“Do you want to talk about Michael?” I ask him.

 

“No, but when I do, I promise it’s you I want to talk to.” He tells me.

 

I realize that he wasn’t not talking, he was just not sure how he really felt about the whole thing. When we went to get Gus, there was no disguising how he felt, because that was just love in it’s purest form. Everything was great until we got to the diner. 

 

“No, we aren’t going in there.” He tells me.

 

“Tell me where to go and we’ll go.’ I tell him.

 

“We can go to the bakery down the road. Michael isn’t going to get attention for this, at least not the attention he thinks he’ll get from this.” Brian tells me.

 

Michael was standing on the sidewalk waiting for Brian to get out of the car. I’m really confused about how he could think that Brian would be jumping out to talk to someone who was making Brian’s job harder.   

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

This week seemed to go from good to bad. Emmett and Drew did the interview which we all knew wasn’t going to be pleasant. The press really tried to turn Emmett into someone who made Drew gay. Drew cleared that up by explaining that he’d always been gay, but football might like that he wins games, but not that he could love another man. When we left the studio with Grampy, I could see Brian was still a skeptic about Drew and Emmett.

 

“You don’t think that maybe he fell in love?” I asked.

 

“I just think if you love someone, you don’t do the things that Drew was doing. I understand that his sexuality could affect the way he was viewed, but if he wanted Emmett he wouldn’t have kept the fiancee.” He tells us.

 

“Brian, you're judging him based on how you would have handled things. Most people aren’t as comfortable with themselves, and they hide things that they aren’t ready to face.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Maybe I am, but you don’t love someone if your still with someone else. It’s just not something you can convince me is possible. Drew is in a situation where he doesn’t have a choice but to play this out, so I’m reserving judgement until I see if he really loves Emmett.” He tells us.

 

We were driving to my house that was furnished, if nothing else. Granny wanted to actually meet Michael, which I didn’t see as a good thing. Brian had changed all his personal numbers and treated Michael like he didn’t see him when Michael showed up everywhere. Brian told Granny he would come, but not to expect anything from him concerning his best friend.

 

Lindsay showed up when I was at work and wanted to cry about life being unfair and you know I really just didn’t have any sympathy for her plight, but handed her the bill for yet another visit. Mel called a few times but I think she was just lonely, Ben wasn’t coming around and Hunter seemed to be soaking up the love my Granny gives to everyone. Deb actually showed up and told Granny about Michael, and told Hunter that she and Carl wanted to be there for him too. I think Hunter was starting to see that he had more than disinterest in his life. Hunter heard about the outreach center and told Grampy and Brian, that it would take more than a pretty face and an open building to get those kids to trust in adults. Grampy told Hunter that he needed to tell them what he thought it would take. I think it was the first time Hunter ever heard that his opinion mattered.

 

So Grampy decided to invite everyone, because as he put it, “It’s time to air out all the closets”. 

 

“Some of those closets need to stay closed.” Brian told him.

 

“I think if you want to have time with Justin, then we need to get rid of the problem areas.” Grampy tells him.

 

So here we were in a room with Drew, who looked at Michael like he wanted to fold him in two. Lindsay playing with Gus and Jenny, but ignoring anything that would mean saying ‘I got knocked up by a man’. Michael sitting on the other side of the room, as if waiting for Brian to come and talk to him. Ben sitting next to Hunter, trying to be the father he hasn’t been, and Ted and Blake, who seemed to want to be anywhere but here.

 

“Well dinner’s ready, Michael I have a surprise for you.” Granny tells him.

 

“I’ve gotten enough surprises lately.” He tells her sullenly.

 

“Hello Michael.” Uncle Danny says walking in.

 

“Oh, now you want to show up, what, so you could see Justin?” He sneers.

 

“No, apparently you seem to think that somehow your life would have been better if I was there. I’m here to clear up that.” He tells Michael.

 

“Don’t bother, I get it, you were to busy hanging out with the rich folks to care that I might have needed a father.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael, enough. You ran around all week acting like somehow your life was everyone’s fault. Well I’m to blame because I didn’t want you to have a father who wasn’t going to be there for you. I know having me for a mother was such a burden, but I wanted you to only ever know that I didn’t see you as a mistake a seventeen year old girl made. So I didn’t chase Danny down to tell him he needed to be a father, when it would have trapped him into a life that would have eventually felt like a prison. Was it really that awful that I couldn’t buy you a toy, but only love you?” Deb asks him.

 

“Look around you, this is the life we could have had.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael, where do you get the idea that I could have given you this kind of life?” Danny asks.

 

“Because when you give a shit about someone you take care of them.” Michael tells him.

 

“Well then Danny did well by fucking you over, since that’s apparently the only thing you seem to think shows you care.” Emmett sneers.

 

“Emmett, he isn’t worth the time.” Blake tells him.

 

“I didn’t realize how it would sound when I talk to the reporter.” Michael tells Emmett. “Blake you need to keep your nose out of my business, being Ted’s piece of ass really doesn’t make anything you say worth my time.” Michael sneered.

 

“What about my opinion Michael?” Ben speaks, I’m really kind of surprised.

 

“Ben, I don’t understand why you're upset, this isn’t about us, but everyone else.” Michael tells him.

 

“Are you really not seeing that you’ve managed to alienate everyone?” Ben asks.

 

“What I’m seeing is Justin seems to get everything, while I’m being treated like I wasn’t there for everyone.” Michael tells us.

 

“Why do you think that is Michael? From what I’ve witnessed you seem to think all should be forgiven, yet you do absolutely nothing to help yourself.” Granny tells him, and he really needs to understand that she won’t listen to excuses.

 

“Until Justin showed up, my life was fine. I had Ben and Hunter and still had my friends.” He tells her.

 

“My grandson somehow made you ignore Hunter, go on the news and smear Emmett and from what I can tell did everything but talk to Ben. He did all those things by moving here? In my eyes, you did that all on your own.” She tells him.

 

“What about the fact that my best friend is acting completely out of character.” He tells her.

 

“What about that? It has nothing to do with what you did to Hunter, Emmett, and Ben.” She tells him.

 

“He’s acting as if all the years I stuck by him while he was fucking half of the Pitts means nothing. I got his ass home when he was too drunk and drugged out to take care of himself. I invited him to my house when his father was drunk and wanted to use him as a punching bag. Yet the minute Justin shows up, he seems to forget that he needs to be there for me.” Michael tells us this, really he is telling it to Brian.

 

“Michael, I arranged this dinner to meet you, because I believe in family. I just think you don’t, so maybe it was a mistake on my part to subject everyone to you. If you can’t sit down with your father and maybe understand why he wasn’t there, then the open that door and get out.” Granny tells him.

 

Michael seemed to get that there really wasn’t anyone in his corner and walked past Danny into the dining room. Lindsay tried to get past Granny but she gave the sit down look. 

 

“Everyone go in, I’d like to talk to Lindsay and Mel.” She tells us.

 

Brian picked up Gus and I grabbed Jenny and we left Granny to deal with them.

 

MEL

 

I don’t know why I came here, maybe to get out of the house. When I saw Lindsay all I could think was that I just don’t want to deal with her.

 

“Mel, you need to decide if you can deal with what Lindsay did.” Deb tells me.

 

“She won’t even admit to it. She keeps trying to act like Brian did this with her.” I tell them.

 

“Why would she do that?” Helen asks.

 

“Lindsay seems to think it’s easier than telling the truth for once.” I tell her.

 

“I just know you're not going to want me or these children when I tell you.” Lindsay tells me tears running as usual.

 

“Fuck you, couldn’t even tell me there was more than one.” It’s like she has to make this worse.

 

“Justin didn’t tell you?” She asks.

 

“No, dear, my grandson wouldn’t try to get in the middle of a marriage.” Helen tells her.

 

“He told Brian, maybe he’s not the good little boy you think.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Brian’s his husband, and the man you tried to make take the fall for your mistake.” Helen tells her.

 

“You know, you seem to think Brian and Justin are going to stay married. Brian isn’t cut out for monogamy and marriage.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Lindsay, you're getting a chance to convince your wife that your marriage is worth saving and bringing up Brian has nothing to do with it. I would also like to add that Warren and my opinions will be based on how Brian treats my grandson, not what anyone wants to tell us about him. I think you should worry about your marriage and give your wife a reason to think you really want to come home.” Helen tells her.

 

“I don’t really know if there is anything she could say anymore.” I tell her.

 

“I… damn it, it was Sam. It was a mistake and it’s over but I’m having these babies, because I couldn’t kill them.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Could you ask Brian and Justin if they can keep the kids tonight? I need to leave.” I tell them because I don’t know if I can accept this.

 

“Mel, let me drive you.” Helen tells me.

 

“You have guests.” I tell her, just wanting to get away from Lindsay.

 

“Warren will handle them.” She tells me, grabbing my coat and ushering me out to her car.

 

I laid my head against the window and just don’t see a way to accept what Lindsay did.

 

“Is it that she got pregnant or that she was with a man?” She asks, as she seems to be driving us around.

 

“Why do you care?” I ask, because it’s nice and I haven’t had a mother figure in a long time.

 

“It’s the psychiatrist in me. I might have retired, but I can’t help wanting to take care of people. Justin got that from me, but sometimes I think he takes it further than I ever would have.” She tells me laughing.

 

“You know, he shows up and leaves breakfast, after taking care of Gus and Jenny most mornings.” I tell her.

 

“He just seems to think he has to take care of anyone in his life.” She tells me.

 

“That’s the thing, he doesn’t do it for any reason, just does it. It’s why Lindsay drives me crazy right now. She wouldn’t even think about doing something like that.” I tells her.

 

“Justin was raised to know that praise isn’t important, but doing the right thing means everything. I’ll admit during his late teens and early twenties, there were times he was doing things that I’m better off not knowing, but he still showed up and took care of everyone.” She tells me.

 

“Brian’s really lucky he found someone like Justin.” I tell her.

 

“Warren and I think it works both ways, in a marriage. I was a girl who got a full scholarship and Warren had already made it in the world of business. I married him and finished college, even though I never needed to work a day after we were married. He was proud to stand at my graduation holding Jennifer. That’s what I see in Brian, that he’ll stand there while Justin does what he needs to do.” She tells me.

 

“She brought Sam to our house and we all had dinner together.” I tell her.

 

“So it’s because you had to welcome the man who she cheated with into your home?” She asks.

 

“I liked him, he was nice. It was someone other than Brian at our house.” I tell her.

 

“You seem to be okay with Brian.” She comments.

 

“He loves Gus, that’s all I care about.” I tell her.

 

“Now you're seeing that possibly Brian wasn’t the problem, but that Lindsay can’t decide who she really is?” She asks pulling up to Justin’s house again.

 

“Why are we back here?” I asks her.

 

“You need to go in and decide how you want your life, Lindsay and babies or not. You have children and they can’t live in limbo.” She tells me getting out of the car.

 

I get out but just want to go home, so I start towards my car, to find Brian sitting on it. 

 

“I need to go.” I tell him.

 

“I know, I just came out to tell you that we were going to be staying here until Friday. If you need more time then call and Deb and Jen are willing to take the kids.” He tells me getting up and walking by.

 

“You aren’t going to tell me to give Lindsay a chance?” I ask him.

 

“No.” 

 

“Why not?” I ask.

 

“I'm really the last person to give advice on marriage.” He tells me. 

 

“I would think you knew more than any of us. Look at who you married.” I tell him. 

 

“We were drunk and it sounded fun.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t see that, you love him.” I tell him. 

 

“Love is tricky, because it sneaks in. Would I have done the same things if I knew the life I'm probably going to have with him? Yes I would, but only because my mistake turned out to be anything but one.” He tells me. 

 

“Lindsay’s will be front and center when those babies are born.” I tell him. 

 

“Yes, but are you going to blame unborn children for something they didn't ask for?” He asks me. 

 

“So I should just take her back and pretend it's fine.” I tell him. 

 

“I wasn’t saying that, but you realize those children are Gus’s siblings and we have to let Gus see he can love them as much as Jenny. Lindsay really was the last thing on my mind.” He tells me. 

 

“How do you love someone who lies to you and cheats on you?” I ask him. 

 

“Ask Emmett, he knows.” He tells me walking in the door.

 

I walk in and sit next to Lindsay. She smiles through her tears, but I can't give her what she wants from me.

 

“We need to figure out how to live without each other.” I tell her, kissing her one last time. Getting up I walk out of the house and drive until I can face our house alone.

 

BRIAN 

 

As much as I want to ignore Lindsay flooding the living room, I can't.

 

“She's given up.” She tells me. 

 

“She's doing what she needs to for the kids.” I tell her. 

 

“You want Gus to have a broken home?” She asks me. 

 

“No, but you broke it anyway.” I tell her. 

 

“I don’t understand how my marriage is broken, yet someone like you seems to have it all.” She tells me. 

 

“Because I'm willing to put all of me into a marriage. I don't dole out what I think works for that minute.” I tell her. 

 

“We need to decide about Gus.” She tells me, and you know, I'm not going to be her revenge.

 

“Gus lives with Mel, nothing to decide.” I tell her. 

 

“I guess having your son would ruin your perfect marriage?” She asks.

 

“Justin would be happy, but it's about Gus, not you or anyone else.” I tell her. 

 

“I think he would be happy with me.” She tells me.

 

“Gus needs stability and that’s something you can’t give him right now. Moving him all over because you can’t figure out anything isn’t what he needs. Let him stay with Mel and deal with what you need to in order to be a mother to not only Gus but the two you're carrying.” I tell her.

 

“How am I supposed to do that, Sydney isn’t really happy with me and I’m barely holding on to the job. With Mel not supporting me, I don’t have a lot of options. No one is going to hire me when I’m going to have to go on leave so soon after getting a job.” She tells me, and why not just hold out her hand and tell me I have to help her.

 

“Then don’t give Sydney any reason to fire you.” I tell her.

 

She needs to realize those days are over, and what better way than to show her. Walking into the dining room, I can see that the guys want to leave and nod to Ted. Which gets Emmett, Ted, Blake, and Drew to leave after telling Granny thank you. Deb and Carl get up and leave without talking to Michael. 

 

“Hey I’m going to spend time with Ben.” Hunter tells us.

 

“I guess I’m going to go home too, with my son.” Ben tells us.

 

“Hunter if you want to come back, just call.” Justin tells him.

 

“I know and thanks for being there.” Hunter tells him.

 

All that was left was Michael and Danny. Michael who seems to think if he sits there I’m going to talk to him.

 

“Brian, let's take a walk on the grounds.” Warren tell me.

 

“Stogie time, Granny want to help me make up the kids room?” Justin asks.

 

Warren and I start walking around and I think he sees this night as one big mistake.

 

“I’ve had worse ideas, but then I thought maybe they would see what they were doing to themselves.” He tells me.

 

“You have to have people who are willing to see what they are doing.” I tell him.

 

“I was once told that a person is a reflection of their friends, but Brian, there isn’t anything that makes sense about some of them.” He tells me.

 

“There was a time when I needed them, and Michael is right, he was the one that kept me from killing myself. It wasn’t for any altruistic reasons, just trying to show me he would be there when I gave up trying to kill myself.” I tell him.

 

“You never thought of him as a possibility?” He asks.

 

“You can’t love someone just because they’re there. I just never felt the way he wanted, he realized it and moved on.” I tell him.

 

“Do you really think he moved on, or did he just decide to have someone until you changed?” He asks me.

 

“It wouldn’t matter, because I couldn’t change for him.” I tell him.

 

“You know you didn’t change for Justin right?” He asks me.

 

“I do, Justin was just right time. If it had been five years ago, I think we wouldn’t have had a chance, I was still trying to prove to the world that they wanted me. Now it seems less important. Gus needs me to be a father he can be proud of, and I just can’t run Babylon while partying in it. Kinnetik wouldn’t be where it is if I was still clubbing the way I was back then.” I tell him.

 

“It’s why I know you're going to be a major player in the business world.” He tells me.

 

“Really? It’s not my ability to juggle all the balls in the air at once.” I tell him.

 

“No it’s that you know what’s important, and cut through the bullshit. You aren’t afraid to tell Drew that he messed up, and you don’t want to automatically believe it was love.” He tells me.

 

“Falling in love makes you know what it really looks like.” I tell him.

 

“Yes, but I think Emmett will get his love story. I’m the eternal optimist, I invite Michael over, so that has to prove that I believe in long shots.” He tells me.

 

“Michael will ruin everything to be right.” I tell him.

 

“Danny’s not just a drag queen, but someone who, like his sister and Justin, will keep trying. I think he stayed away for Deb, but now he’ll at least straighten out Michael’s misconceptions of him being father of the year. What Michael does with it is really his problem. After tonight Michael isn’t welcome in my life.” He tells me.

 

“Why welcome him at all?’ I ask him.

 

“Damned optimism is going to be the death of me, but hey, I made a lot of money because of it.” He tells me laughing.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was really just staying out of the way. I have a feeling that Michael wouldn’t be happy unless Danny turned into his fairy god mother and gave him a few million. To bad he doesn’t realize that although Devina’s famous, drag queens really don’t make millions. Gus was fighting sleep and I stayed reading until those eyes closed for good. I leaned down and kissed his head and started for the door.

 

“Love you.” Gus mumbled.

 

“I love you too.” I whispered, trying not run back hug him to death.

 

Michael was standing over the crib looking at Jenny and I was going to leave before I had to deal with him, but he seemed to want to make sure he got to say something.

 

“You have it all, and I have to deal with the leftovers.” He tells me.

 

“What do you want me to say, that I had a good life. Yes, but not because of money, but because my family gave me time and understanding. I don’t agree that having a father changes anything, because mine really only cares if I do something he can point to as an achievement.” I tell him.

 

“My friends act like…” 

 

“You shit on your friends, so that one is about what you did.” I tell him.

 

“My husband and son are treating me…”

 

“No better than you’re treating them.” I tell him.

 

“So it’s all my fault.” He sneers.

 

“No it’s that it rained on Tuesday.” I tell him.

 

“What?” He asks.

 

“Blame it on the rain, or global warming if you need to, if it somehow changes that you did everything, but don’t stand here complaining.” I tell him.

 

“I would think since we are family, you could act like it.” He tells me.

 

“Did you notice that my mother wasn’t here?” I ask him.

 

“I guess.” He tells me.

 

“It’s because she wasn’t going to be here to listen to all the woes of Michael Novotny. The fact that Grampy even wanted this farce, was because he believes that people can change. I think we can all say that there is nothing you can change about yourself, because you have to see what you did to your friends and family if you did.” I tell him.

 

“I saw that Mel and Lindsay aren’t going to give Jenny a good home.” He tells me leaving the room.

 

I check on Jenny then go to see if Grampy and Brian came in. I found Brian checking on Gus and join him. He pulls me in front of him.

 

“What happens with Michael isn’t our problem, you, me, and Gus, that’s our problem.” He tells me.

 

“I know, it’s just sad to see someone who can’t love himself.” I tell him.

 

“It takes being happy, it’s how I know I love you.” He tells me.

 

“Is that what that is, because it feels like sunshine and rainbows.” I tell him, but then realize it’s time. “Or maybe it’s that I love you too.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

BRIAN

 

It’s Friday and all I could think about was getting the hell out of here. I finished all the notes that I needed to leave in case Cynthia and Ted had an emergency this weekend. Drew came in and sat in front of me, I guess he wants to talk.

 

“What’s your problem with me?” He asks.

 

“I think that if Emmett hadn’t been in close proximity, that it would be some other guy sitting next to you.” I tell him.

 

“You base this on what?” He asks.

 

“The fact that when I walked in here you were sizing me up. It just doesn’t really work with the story that Emmett is the one you want.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve heard about you and I looked, it doesn’t mean I wanted you.” He tells me.

 

“Only because I’m not offering you my ass.” I tell him.

 

“But you’ll sell Emmett’s to make a buck.” He tells me.

 

“Is that really how you view my helping you?” I ask.

 

“I didn’t want Emmett to have to deal with the shit going on. Not because I didn’t want people to see that Emmett’s a Queen, but because I don’t want anything to happen to him that could hurt him. I like that he’s happy and sees the world the way he does. All this shit is going to change Emmett.” He tell me.

 

“Score one for Warren, he believed in you. I just couldn’t see the fiancee and Emmett both being there as proving Emmett meant more.” I tell him.

 

“How do you think I got caught, Sierra was bringing a friend for a threesome. Apparently the fact that I wouldn’t sleep with her made her think adding her friend would spice us up.” He tells me.

 

“Guy or girl?” I ask.

 

“Guy, why?” He asks.

 

“It makes the whole not knowing sound a bit strange.” I tell him.

 

“He wasn’t gay.” He tells me.

 

“Why was she there?” I ask.

 

“I didn’t really ask beyond her screaming like a banshee, but I was surprised because she was supposed to be at work and I told her I’d be out working with the team. It’s why I didn’t think twice about taking Emmett there.” He tells me.

 

“This is why I ask for full disclosure, leaving out things like that means that this could have been easier. Think about it.” I tell him, calling Warren.

 

“I don’t get what your talking about.” He tells me.

 

“Did you ever tell her you wanted a threesome?” I ask.

 

“No, but… shit she was cheating too.” He finally gets it. “So we smear her ass and I don't have to do all this other shit.” He tells me, and I put down the phone.

 

“First, no, we don’t smear her ass, we let it leak that there was more to the story. Sprinkle in the other guy and let them run with it. Second, you don’t get my help if you pull out of the outreach center.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t mean that, just the part about making Emmett parade around. What you want to do with the center has my support and my financial backing. Emmett is really thrilled to see it happen, because he said having something like that would have given him somewhere to go instead of living with his family.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, my daughter and I were looking at the building next door.” Warren tells me, walking in.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“I just thought I could open an office.” He tells me. “Maybe join it to Kinnetik.” He adds.

 

“Why do you need an office here?” I ask him.

 

“I just think that me taking over your office isn’t convenient for you.” He tells me. “Which isn’t all, I also want to tell you that Jen found a building.” He tells me.

 

“For what?” I ask.

 

“For the center. It’s three stories and close to Liberty Diner. We are going to have to completely gut it, but until it’s done we can use the building next door for a soup kitchen and counseling.” He tells me.

 

“Grampy, you just had to find a reason for buying the one next door didn’t you.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“Well... I like the idea of watching over my grandson.” He tells me, pulling me into a bear hug.

 

“Drew needs to tell you about Sierra, and I’m out. I’ll handle anything else Monday.” I tell him, clearing my throat, it had a tickle in it. Yeah, I’m not believing myself either.

 

MICHAEL

 

I looked up when my door went off and see MY FATHER standing there.

 

“What do you want? Come to tell me about how Justin’s so wonderful while I’m a failure?” I ask him.

 

“I just thought I would see the shop you own. Maybe get you to explain why Justin seems to get so much animosity from you.” He asks.

 

“Everyone seems to think he’s just so fucking perfect. They act like because he’s running around and showing up everywhere that he’s great and not putting his nose in places that it doesn’t belong. I went to see my daughter, and Mel’s talking about how Justin comes by and cooks breakfast and plays with the kids, so she can sleep. Brian changing his locks and numbers has to be because Justin wanted him to. Hell, I can’t even spend time with anybody because they all want to kiss Uncle Warren’s ass.” I tell him.

 

“Why would Justin wanting to give a new mother time to rest after most likely being up half the night bother you?” He asks. 

 

“Because they're not his kids.” I tell him. 

 

“Gus will become his, from what I'm hearing Brian and Justin are going to make a go of their marriage.” He tells me. 

 

“Until Brian finds a better piece of ass.” I tell him. 

 

“You don’t really think much of Brian, do you?” He asks. 

 

“Of course I do, it's just Brian’s not being Brian if he isn't out there showing everyone that he's the man everyone wants.” I tell him. 

 

“So you like the idea that he'll be forever young and suicidal?” He asks. 

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask, confused.

 

“Did you really see the drinking and drugs six nights a week as something a normal person does?” He asks me.

 

“It was just Brian having a good time.” I tell him.

 

“Really? Because nameless, faceless men sounds more like he didn’t want anyone to get too close, because when you're too close to anyone they see what you’ve been hiding. It’s why I dated your mother, I could hide in plain site, only I couldn’t do it anymore. I ran and found who I am, but in that running I left your mother to deal with everything. You need to see that Deb was living during a time when being unwed and pregnant cast her out of a life she might have had. Yet she did everything to keep you, and didn’t ask for anything from anybody.” He tells me.

 

“Like you wouldn’t have helped if she told you.” I know he would have.

 

“You seem to think I had something to offer you, I didn’t, and honestly, you wouldn’t have had me as anything but a visitor who didn’t want the responsibility of a kid.” He tells me.

 

“So why bother now, if I’m so unwanted?” I sneer.

 

“I might not have wanted to be a father, to anyone, but I can’t stand by and watch you lose everything.” He tells me.

 

“Everyone will be fine when Brian gets rid of Justin.” I tell him.

 

“If he never does, what will you do?” He ask me.

 

“It’s going to happen, so I don’t have to do anything but wait for it.” I tell him.

 

“Warren was right; that you expect something, but do absolutely nothing to earn it.” He tells me, going to the door.

 

“I took care of him.” I tell him.

 

“Not very well if you never wanted him to grow up, because being a best friend implies wanting the best for that friend. Not sitting on the sidelines watching him kill himself.” He tells me, leaving.

 

He’s wrong, I just knew that nothing I said would stop him, but it could make him tell me he didn’t need me in his life, and that was my fear as he did the things he did. That one day the man I wanted would tell me to leave.

 

JUSTIN

 

Callie and Gus were sitting on the end of the bed in the loft trying to suggest that maybe if Brian and I picked Disney World we would have something to do, you know, instead of the B&B we were going to in Maine.

 

“I could come too, and we could ride like, Space Mountain.” Gus tells me.

 

“Or we could go to the castle I saw.” Callie tells me.

 

“We wanted to spend sometime alone.” I tell them.

 

“Why? There’s like nothing but woods in the pictures you showed me, and Uncle Justy you don’t like fishing.” She tells me.

 

“I heard there are bears and I love you and Dad, I don’t want you eaten.” Gus tells me.

 

“Gus where did you see that?” I ask, because really, bears.

 

“Um, I asked Nana if there were wild animals there.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” 

 

“Because I wanted you and Dad to take us to Disney World.” He nods.

 

“Really Uncle Justy, without Gus and me, how could you have any fun?” Callie asks.

 

“I think… they’ll find something to do.” Daphne giggled with Mel.

 

“Name one thing?” Callie gives me the eye.

 

“Talk, we want to talk.” I tell her, trying not to join Mel and Daphne.

 

“Gus and I would let you talk, just do it while taking us in the Teacups.” Callie tells me.

 

“I still think Space Mountain is where they could talk.” Gus tells us.

 

“How about Daphne and I take you to Kennywood.” Mel tells them.

 

“Okay, but Disney would still be better. Come on Gus, we have to go tell Granny.” Callie pulls Gus behind her. I love the look of ‘What’s a guy gonna do?’ Gus gets.

 

“You’re looking better.” I tell Mel.

 

“I feel better, I’m still not a hundred percent, but it makes staying for fifteen years at least seem like it meant something.” She tells me.

 

“We just came to see if you needed any help with the Disney whispers.” Daphne tells me.

 

“They can’t help that I’m the favorite.” I tell them, as they tackle me.

 

I tried to get away but they were determined to make sure I peed my pants. I was trapped when they both sat on my back and wouldn’t you know, Brian, Gus, and Callie had to see why I was screaming.

 

“Anything you need to tell me Justin?” Brian asks.

 

When Callie and Gus jumped on to help the moms, Brian just picked up the bag and told me to handle it. Really, he left me to fight alone, he is so going to meet the bear.

 

 

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian rented a car to drive through the countryside of Maine. He generously accepted Grampy’s jet, because otherwise we’d be on the road the whole time. I enjoyed just looking without having to constantly talk, it’s something he gives me, silence in a world full of noise. He picked a place that was really out of the way and took our phones and anything else that made us reachable and locked them in the trunk. We parked on the side of the road and I learned something new about Brian, he likes photography. He took shots of the B&B below us.

 

“I chose it because it’s far from everything.” Brian tells me, breaking the silence for the first time.

 

“Sometimes you just have to get away.” I tell him.

 

“That a professional opinion?” He asks.

 

“No, it’s why I left five years ago.” I tell him, because he needs to know.

 

“I thought it was to bring your skill to third world countries.” He tells me, but continues to take pictures.

 

“It was something I could do for others, but not really my reason at the time.” I tell him.

 

“It’s up to you what you tell me, I won’t push you, the way you haven’t pushed me.” He tells me, getting back in the car.

 

We drove with me wanting to figure out a way to explain something that was my own fault. When we pulled in Brian asked the guy to take our bags to the room and then turned us to walk towards the woods. He would randomly pull up his camera and snap this and that.

 

“I saw this place on a website and thought it’s the furthest from what people would expect from me.” Brian tells me.

 

“I left because I let myself believe that I had to live up to everyone’s expectations. To the point that I was collapsing from the pressure of being what I thought everyone wanted. Africa just seemed like a place where I could just be a doctor for a while.” I tell him.

 

“Did you find what you needed?” He asked, taking a picture of me.

 

“I found peace in that these people were about taking care of just average things. There weren’t dinner parties, or feeling like I stopped doing something I loved for what would make everyone happy.” I tell him.

 

“You seem to like being a doctor.” He comments.

 

“I love what I do, but there is a part of me that never feels like it’s enough.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, you have to take time and be selfish, it doesn’t change the things you do for others. Just makes them more manageable. ” He tells me.

 

“Grampy is alway trying to tell me that I’m not selfish enough, but I had so many things that people never get. I feel like I don’t get to be selfish.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe for a weekend you could only think about what you want, let it be an escape from bleeding for everyone.” He tells me.

 

“I want you and me, a bed, and to just lay still and forget the world.” I tell him.

 

“You had me until you said lay still.” He tells me pulling me to him.

 

“You put my mind at rest.” I tell him.

 

BRIAN

 

When we got to the room, I wanted Justin to have what he needed. It was so different from the person he’s been since I met him again. In a way he’s giving all of him, the way I’ve been doing for him. Closing the curtains and dimming the lights, I undressed him and let him do that for me. I guided us to the bed and did as he said, just laid still and forgot the world. I wanted to study everything about him, from the deep oceans of blue to the soft white skin. He pulled my head to him and opened my mouth with his and we kissed, not really trying to turn it into anything but a leisurely exploration of each other. He used those soft hands to map my body, and the sensation was loving and not carnal, but still had the same effect. It wasn’t long before we needed more and when he reached for a condom to hand me I handed it back.

 

“Are you sure?” He asks.

 

“You're my safety on the shore.” I tell him.

 

Covering himself, he used those fingers that heal to make it easier for what I'm about to do.

 

“Have you?” He asks.

 

“No, it takes trust.” I tell him.

 

Leaning over me he joined our lips as we joined. There was no hurry, it wasn’t about sex, but being close to each other. So our movements were just to feel each other. For the first time it I really knew the difference between making love and sex. As he started to move faster, I stroked in time to end this with him.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben called and asked me to meet him at a coffee shop on the other side of town. It's the first time he seems to want us to talk, since the whole Hunter thing. I got there and waited while I thought about the absurd idea that Brian could be suicidal.

 

“Sorry I'm late.” Ben tells me.

 

“It's fine, everyone else doesn't give a shit lately either.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, it's hard when you're hurting people that are your friends.” He tells me.

 

“Look, Emmett’s the one who slept with someone else's fiance. That's on him.” I tell him.

 

“I agree, but you running out to tell the press something that was his business, just doesn’t make you any better.” He tells me.

 

“What does it matter, I just don’t approve of cheaters.” I tell him.

 

“Which isn’t why I wanted to talk to you.” He tells me.

 

“Then why are we here?” I ask.

 

“I love you, but I think we need help.” He tells me.

 

“We just need to stop letting everyone else's problems come between us.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, Hunter is not someone else's problem.” He tells me.

 

“Look, if he wants to go to the other school, it's fine.” I tell him.

 

“It's not just school, but that we need to pay attention to the things he won’t say.” He tells me.

 

“I know I sometimes act like he isn’t important, but it’s like you and he have this bond that I don’t have. So I feel left out.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, I’m not doing any better with Hunter than you were, it took someone who didn’t know us to point out the problem was there.” He tells me, holding my hand.

 

“Can you give me time to deal with my… jealousy?” I ask him.

 

“I’m not taking the easy way out but you also need to face what your jealousy caused you to do. I want you to come home and I want us to really work on us. Which to me means you not chasing after Brian.” He tells me.

 

“I think Brian needs less of a friend who would let him kill himself.” I finally admit.

 

“You need to make things right with everyone, just don’t expect them to offer forgiveness easily.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know if any of us can really stay friends with the things I’ve done.” I tell him.

 

“It’s a start.” He tells me and he’s right.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian actually fishes, not my thing at all, but I get it. You sit here getting eaten by giant mosquitos and wait for your victim to chase the bait. How he can sit there when the bugs are buzzing in his ear is just too much for me, so I covered us in spray.

 

“I need to figure out what to do about Drew and Emmett.” He tells me.

 

“What’s going on in that corner?” I ask.

 

“Drew’s fiancee might have been cheating too, but I’m really not sure of throwing that out there.” He tells me.

 

“Two wrongs don’t make a right. I get that.” I tell him.

 

“I just think it’s going to cause too many ‘he said she said’ moments. I could really make her look like she was worse, but what Drew did was just as bad.” He tells me.

 

“It really bothers you what they did, I’m not disagreeing, just asking.” I tell him.

 

“If you agree to have an open relationship that’s one thing, but when it’s understood that there’s exclusivity, there shouldn’t be any questions.” He tells me.

 

“I agree, but no one is perfect. Maybe she was turning to another man because Drew wasn’t giving her what she needed.” I tell him.

 

“If I make a promise, I keep it.” He tells me.

 

“Then I’ll promise you that it won’t be a problem for us.” I tell him.

 

When a fish actually got on the line, I picked up Brian’s camera to snap the catch, to bad it was like the size of my finger. Brian just held it up like it was massive and well I was more interested in looking at the fisherman than the fish.

 

MEL

 

I brought Gus and Jenny to meet Lindsay at the baby gym. She hugged Gus as if it had been forever. Then held Jenny as I ran around with Gus. When Gus ran off with Callie, I sat down next to Lindsay and held Andy for Daphne.

 

“I really screwed up everything didn’t I?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“You're admitting it, new for you.” I tell her.

 

“I had a visit from Helen.” She tells me.

 

“What did she want?” I ask.

 

“She actually came to check on me and see if I was taking care of myself and the babies.” She tells me and I wish I could  hear that and not get angry.

 

“And?”

 

“She just let me talk, it was nice. I think I realized that instead of telling you things, I did what my mother did and ignored problems.” She tells me.

 

“It’s how you handle things, act like it’s not there.” I tell her.

 

“You always seemed to have more important things than me to worry about.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay do you ever think we stayed together because it was easier than admitting that we aren’t compatible?” I ask her.

 

“Yes, because you took care of things, the way my father did. I want us to at least be friends, I want to be able to be the mother I promised myself I would be to Jenny and Gus.” She tells me.

 

“I’m not stopping that.” I tell her.

 

“It’s just when you left Justin’s house the other night, I wanted to hurt you. I even tried to get Brian to say you shouldn’t have Gus, which he wouldn’t. It was scary to realize I was alone for the first time in my life.” She tells me.

 

“Take the time to figure out who you are, if you need help then call and I’ll be there as your friend.” I tell her.

 

JUSTIN

 

Sitting on the balcony of our room just stargazing, Brian seemed to be ready to talk about Michael.

 

“If Michael believes something then it’s the only way something can be.” He tells me.

 

“I’ve noticed.” I tell him.

 

“When he was with David, he acted as if dating David made everyone beneath him, including Deb. It really brought home how petty he could be. I don’t agree with what Emmett did with Drew, but I wouldn’t have gone on the news to act like Emmett should be crucified.” He tells me.

 

“Like Grampy says, he wanted attention.” I tell him.

 

“I just want you to be careful with Michael and Lindsay.” He tells me.

 

“Why?”

 

“Neither of them do anything if it doesn’t help them.” He tells me.

 

“What did being friends with you do for them?” I ask.

 

“Made it so I was always the reason their lives were a mess.” He tells me.

 

“Hopefully with you not being there they have to figure it out on their own.” I tell him.

 

“I have a husband that I want to be there for, so they are on their own.” He tells me.

 

I pull him up and take him back inside to take care of him.

Chapter 24 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Getting back to the real world meant dealing with the things that had been going on while we were gone. Apparently, Ben is somehow trying to work on his marriage with Michael and just doesn’t understand why everyone can’t just support his decision. Hunter ended up showing up at Deb’s and asked to stay for a while. Ben seemed to think he needed to talk to Brian, and I just sat and tried to figure out why he needed Brian to be involved at all.

 

“Brian, I know Michael’s made some bad decisions, but I think it’s more how he feels about commitment, and he’s admitting that he’s jealous that you and Justin are working while he and I are having problems. He understands that he isn’t going to chase after you if he wants us to work. The only thing he wants is a chance to know his entire family.” He tells us.

 

“Auntie D doesn’t have a problem with talking to Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, he wants to try to find a way for you and him to get along.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why? I’m going to be honest, I don’t like him. I just can’t find anything about him that makes being friends possible.” I tell him.

 

When Brian’s phone rings he gets up and walks out of the room to answer. I wait for Ben to explain why he thinks I need to be involved with his problems.

 

“Michael just feels like the reason his aunt, uncle, father, and cousin seem resistant in getting to know him, is because of you.” He tells me.

 

“Ben, my front door is right there.” I point. “Use it.” I tell him, getting up and walking into my kitchen.

 

“Justin, you have to admit that your family seems to rally around you.” Ben tells me, what part of leave is he not getting?

 

“Ben, you and Michael have the right to think what you want and do what you want, but don’t come in my house and start blaming me for Michael’s issues with my family.” I tell him.

 

“Michael hasn’t had a lot of family…” 

 

“I don’t have a lot of sympathy, so save it and leave.” I tell him.

 

“What were you and Michael thinking?” Brian comes in seething.

 

“That Jenny deserves a home with two loving parents. You should understand, isn’t that why you never sought custody of Gus?” Ben asks us.

 

“So you're here to get my family to support you and Michael taking Jenny from Mel?” I ask.

 

“We just want our daughter to be raised with two parents.” Ben tells us.

 

“Then go try that, hopefully you two will do better with a baby than a teenager.” I tell him.

 

“We aren’t trying to take her from Mel, just give her more than Mel can. Lindsay’s supporting us.” He tells us.

 

“Ben, you aren’t welcome here anymore.” I tell him and when he looks at Brian he realizes that he isn’t getting any help from there either.

 

“Oh by the way, Lindsay is going to sue for Gus.” He tells us as he leaves.

 

It didn’t even bother me when Brian threw his phone hard enough to shatter it. I stood back and let him decide what he needed in that moment. When he turned and opened his arms I walked into them.

 

“I have to fight her on this.” He tells me.

 

“Then we fight.” I tell him.

 

MEL

 

When Brian and Justin showed up, I was still sitting next to Ted holding the papers they delivered this morning. How could she act like she wanted us to be friends and then do this?

 

“I called Brian.” Ted tells me as he lets Brian and Justin in.

 

“You seem to be having one hell of a maternity leave.” Brian tells me. 

 

“She's suing for both children.” I tell him. 

 

“Then we need to show her that it's the wrong thing.” Brian tells me. 

 

“How, with Michael I'm being push from both sides?” I ask him. 

 

“Justin and I are going to help you push back, but I need you to help me.” He tells me.

 

“You want to take my rights.” I always knew this day was coming.

 

“No. I want to have rights too. You and I know that it was always possible.” He tells me.

 

“She came to me this weekend and acted like we could be friends.” I tell him.

 

“This is what you warned me about, isn’t it?” Justin asks Brian.

 

“Yes, I just expected them to lick their wounds longer.” Brian tells us.

 

“Ben is trying to use what happened when I came home as my lack of being able to deal with a new baby and Gus.” I tell them.

 

“You know I was impartial on Ben, but now, not so much.” Justin tells me.

 

“I contacted a lawyer I know and he thinks we should try to meet together in a neutral place and see if we can get them to see that uprooting the kids wouldn’t be what is best. He wants you, Lindsay, and me to meet first.” Brian tells me.

 

“There’s nothing to meet about, if Mel had been taking care of the kids instead of leaving them with everyone else I wouldn’t be doing this.” Lindsay tells us from the door.

 

“Get out of my house.” Mel tells her.

 

“I’m here to see my son and daughter, are you really going to deny me the right to see them. Oh wait, they're at Deb’s and Jen’s house instead of home again.” Lindsay smirks.

 

“Why?” Brian asks her.

 

“For the kids, remember you said she was leaving me for the children’s sake. I think that the fact that she can barely deal with Jenny without your husband showing up just tells me the kids would be better with me. When I explained that to Michael and Ben, they seemed to understand too.” She tells him, turning and leaving.

 

BRIAN

 

I walk out after Lindsay, because even with me expecting her to do something, this wasn’t what I thought.

 

“Lindsay, why are you doing this to her?” I ask.

 

“Brian, it’s not about Mel, but that she can’t be a single mother with two kids. What is she going to do when she has to go to work? Do you really want our son shuffled everywhere while she works the kinds of hours that she does. I can be home when Gus gets out of school and Michael and I have already worked out a schedule for Jenny. So we both decided after that wonderful family dinner, that it was time to form a family too.” She tells me.

 

“Then the lines are drawn, see you on the other side of the table.” I tell her.

 

“What are you talking about?” She asks frowning.

 

“Justin, Mel, and I will be together to see that you and Michael don’t get what you want.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, your past will not look good for Mel.” She tells me.

 

“I wonder how Justin’s will look.” I tell her.

 

“You want to see how the drunken marriage looks?” She laughs.

 

“I think it’s going to look good compared to the affair with Sam. We only have Justin’s family behind us, but that’s probably nothing that would scare you, right.” I tell her walking into the house.

 

“Michael I could understand, but Lindsay, what does she get from this?” Justin asks me.

 

“She wants Mel to pay for leaving first.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, we need to join our lives.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“We need to show that this is more than a drunken marriage. To me, you're the person I want to see when I open my eyes every morning and when I close them at night.” He tells me.

 

“Ted, we have some work to do, Mel we need you too.” I tell them.

 

Mel and Ted met us at Kinnetik. Grampy was there talking on the phone, but hung up when he saw us.

 

“What’s going on?” He asks Mel.

 

“I’m being considered an unfit single mother.” Mel tells him, tears running down her cheek.

 

“Brian?” Warren asks.

 

“Lindsay and Michael.” I answer.

 

“Darling girl, it’s going to be fine.” He tells her, rubbing her back.

 

“It’s just that she came to me offering to try to make it work and I fell for it. At least Michael didn’t surprise me.” She tells us.

 

“Why not Michael?” Justin asks.

 

“He told me that he didn’t like that Jenny was going to be raised by a single mother. Then went on and on about how he and Ben are back together.” She tells us.

 

“Why show up at my house, that I don’t get?” Justin asks.

 

“Who?” Warren asks.

 

“Ben, he came over saying that he wanted to find a way for Michael and I to get along.” Justin tells him.

 

“If we support Michael, we aren’t supporting Mel.” Warren tells Justin like it should be obvious.

 

“Justin and I need to take care of some things, if anything with Drew needs to be handled then get with Cynthia.” I tell Warren.

 

“I actually came by because of the benefit tomorrow for Doctors Without Borders. Your Granny and I wanted to go with you.” He tells us.

 

“Is there a reason?” Justin asks.

 

“To show my support to my grandsons, and Mel we’d be honored to bring young Gus with us.” He tells us, leaving to mostly likely mess with someone else today.

 

“Ted, I need Justin added to everything I own.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll get my accountant to call you Ted, so that my accounts get transferred to here and joined to Brian’s.” Justin tells Ted. “No arguments, we are in this for life.” Justin tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

Lindsay showed up looking upset. Truthfully, I really wanted her to move out, since I didn't need her to help me get my daughter. 

 

“What now?” I ask.

 

“Brian is supporting Mel.” She tells me.

 

“So, he isn’t legally anything to Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Yes, but he paid support and we’ve pretty much let him see Gus when he wants. In a way we gave him the rights of a father.” She tells me looking at the table.

 

“So?”

 

“So, any good lawyer could argue that Brian still has rights.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Like he wants Gus around when he’s playing house with the doctor.” I tell her.

 

“Look, Mel told me this when I took the money Brian was giving us, and she’s good, but you don’t think they aren’t going to get a great lawyer to try and keep Gus.” She asks me.

 

“Sounds like a problem for you.” I tell her.

 

“It will be a problem for you, because you want me to tell everyone what a great father you are.” She tells me.

 

“When Ben wasn’t willing to talk I needed you, but now that I have a partner and a home for my child, what you do really doesn’t matter to me. In fact I would really like for you to get your things and leave.” I tell her, smiling until I see Ben standing there.

 

 

 


Chapter 25 by starlight

BRIAN

 

When we finally signed the last piece of paper joining everything, it seemed that Warren brought company. I looked up to see Helen, Deb, and Danny come in.

 

“Mel, I want to suggest something that might not be what you're going to like.” Granny tells her.

 

“Right now I’ll listen to anything.” Mel tells her.

 

“Call Michael and Lindsay and tell them that you're willing to let them have the kids.” Granny tells us.

 

Even I didn’t know what the hell she was thinking to suggest that. I look at Justin, trying to see if he had a clue. His look of ‘are you crazy’ told me that he was as lost as I was here.

 

“It’s not like this is going to court or mediation today or tomorrow. So right now you let them all have what they want. The catch is that Jenny is breast feed, so they have to come to you every two to four hours to feed her. Other than what they've given you for Jenny, they get nothing from you. No clothes, diapers, blankets, nothing. They want the responsibility then give it to them.” She tells us. 

 

“You also mention that you're requesting child support from all of them, until custody is decided.” Warren tells us.

 

“I agreed to forgo support.” Mel tells him. 

 

“Michael agreed to let you raise your daughter. He's backing out of his agreement, so it's void.” I tell her. 

 

“Lindsay’s going to bring up the support you pay.” She tells me. 

 

“I gifted you the money for my son.” I tell her, understanding where Granny was going with this.

 

“Exactly, because unless you and Lindsay make Brian legally responsible for Gus, he doesn't owe anyone a dime.” Warren tells her. 

 

“Which will make it easier to get my rights re-established, with the added stipulation that Justin is one of Gus’s fathers.” I tell her. 

 

“I want to add that I’m not going to be helping Michael when this blows up in his face.” Deb tells us.

 

“You don’t think he’s going to show up and expect you to help? Deb, you know you couldn’t leave Jenny if she needed you.” Helen tells her.

 

“Carl wants to go see his children, and I think it’s the perfect week for us to do that. We will be leaving once Jenny is with her fathers.” Deb tells us.

 

“The only problem I see with this is that Lindsay doesn’t have any place for Gus right now.” Mel tells us.

 

“I won’t let her use my loft.” I tell them.

 

“Lindsay has to have a place for Gus with his own room, in order for you to say yes. Brian, you need to let Mel deal with this on her own with Michael, because I have a feeling that he wanted you involved, that’s why he agreed to do this with Lindsay.” Helen tells us.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“My son still believes that you’ll eventually return to the fold. He really doesn’t see Justin as an obstacle, but an annoyance. If you show up, it gives him what he wants from you.” Danny tells me.

 

“So how do we do this?” Mel asks.

 

“You and I are going to my house to get Jenny and drop her off. You need to give Michael a list of times he needs to show up so Jenny can be fed, and during those times he is to drop her off and wait for you to tell him he can come back and get her. I hope they have diapers.” Deb tells us smiling.

 

“Your enjoying this aren’t you?” Justin asks her.

 

“He’s basically saying that I shouldn’t have been the one raising him, so since he seem to know so much, let’s see how he and Ben deal with this.” Deb tells him, and I know it hurts her.

 

I got up and put my arms around her. “You’re a great mother.” I whisper to her.

 

“Fucking right I am, I just should have shoved my foot up his ass while slapping sense in that boy.” Deb tells me, rallying.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben came in and didn’t seem to be upset, he just took off his coat and sat down.

 

“So did Brian and Justin say anything?” I ask.

 

“Nothing good, I guess someone called Brian and told him that we wanted Jenny. I was pretty much told to get out.” He tells us. “What were you two talking about?” He asks.

 

“I just think with Jenny living here, that it’s time for Lindsay to find a place for herself.” I tell him.

 

“It would make sense, we only have three bedrooms, so it would be better for you to find a more permanent place to live.” Ben tells her.

 

“Since Hunter seems to be staying with Deb, I can use his room.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I’m planning on getting Hunter to come back home. It wouldn’t look good in court that he isn’t living here.” I tell her.

 

“We also need to be the ones taking Hunter to the school, I thought we could do that tonight.” Ben tells me.

 

“I just feel like we are rewarding him for running off, but I agree with you, if he’s willing to go to any school, it’s better than dropping out.” I tell him.

 

“Lindsay, just start looking for a place, until then you can stay.” Ben tells her, getting up to answer the door.

 

Lindsay and I got up when I heard Mel and Ma and went to see what was going on.

 

“Look if you're here to argue, we can do that in court.” Ben tells Mel. 

 

“Not at all, since you both feel you can do this, I’m willing to give you a chance to do it. I made a list of Jenny’s feeding times, because you’ll need to get her to me so I can feed her. The only thing I’m going to ask is that you not stay during the feedings but be available to take her back when she’s done. I just finished and she’s napping so the next couple hours should be easy for you. I packed all the things you gave me for Jenny, because I’m sure you need them to take care of her.” Mel says, as Ma hands me the bag. 

 

“Did you put some bottles in here?” Lindsay asks, looking through the bag when I handed it to her to take Jenny.

 

“No, because Jenny is only getting breastmilk, and I feel it’s better for her to be brought to me.” Mel tells us, turning and leaving without another word.

 

“Well Michael, you wanted to prove two fathers were better than a single mother, here’s your chance.” Ma tells me, closing my door.

 

“They act like it’s going to be a big deal.” I tell Ben, while he’s reading the note Mel gave us.

 

“They didn’t bring anything but toys.” Lindsay tells me, emptying the diaper bag.

 

“Those are the things Ben and I bought for Jenny.” I tell her.

 

“Which would be wonderful, as long as she doesn’t need a diaper change or change of clothes. There isn’t a single bottle to feed Jenny with and where do you plan on putting her tonight?” Lindsay asks.

 

“How does she think Jenny’s going to eat tonight?” I ask. 

 

“According to the schedule she left, we have to bring Jenny to her.” Ben tells me, looking back at the note. “She also feels that since we want Jenny to live here, that we need to start buying the things she needs.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask, when he looks up at me.

 

“She's also asking for child support until we go to court.” He tells me. 

 

“She told me that we didn't have to pay support.” I tell him. 

 

“Let me finish, there is also a stipulation that you have to take out a life insurance policy for Jenny, and that we cover half the medical expenses for Jenny.” He tells me, as Lindsay hands me Jenny and starts to leave.

 

“Where are you going? Ben and I have to take Hunter to that school, you need to watch Jenny for us.” I tell her. 

 

“I need to find out about Gus, so take her with you.” She tells me, leaving.

 

Jenny woke up and grunted. I smiled until the smell made it to my nose. “I think she shit.” I tell Ben who looked at the pile that didn’t include diapers. 

 

LINDSAY 

 

What the hell is going on, Mel handing Jenny over without a fight? There is no way Mel wouldn't fight. I drove to her house to see cars in the driveway. Justin and Brian were sitting outside watching Gus play with Callie. Mel must have just made it back because she was standing with Helen, talking. When Gus saw me he ran over.

 

“Mom, are you coming to visit?” He asks.

 

“I wanted to talk to Mama about you, I think you should live with me.” I tell him. 

 

“Are you coming home?” He asks.

 

“No lambskin.” I tell him. 

 

“Gus, Granny says we can have cookies now.” Callie informs him.

 

“Go ahead, I need to talk to your Mama and Dad.” I tell him. 

 

I follow Gus until I reach Mel and Brian, but before I can say anything Mel does.

 

“Are you here to pick up Gus?” She asks.

 

“No, I’m here to find out what you think you're doing.” I tell her.

 

“I’m trying to make the transition for Jenny and Gus easier. We are all going to be sharing the children, so I wanted to show that I was willing to be reasonable.” Mel tells me.

 

“By not giving Michael any way to feed or care for Jenny?” I asks her.

 

“I’m available to feed her and they really need to have the things Jenny needs if they want to be able to take care of her.” She tells me.

 

“Since when did you start expecting child support?” I ask.

 

“Since they decided they were going to be fathers. Which you and I need to discuss too.” She tells me.

 

“Why do we need to discuss it?” I ask her.

 

“Until you have a place Gus can live, I’m going to be the one who has him and you're going to need to help support our son.” She tells me.

 

“Then I’ll take Gus and you can help me.” I tell her.

 

“Only if I approve of where he’s going, so have you found a place to live?” She asks me.

 

“Not yet, I’m staying with Ben and Michael.” I tell her.

 

“Why aren’t you staying at your parents?” She asks.

 

“Because they were pissed about me getting pregnant again by Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Which you’re not, so what’s the problem?” Brian asks, walking over.

 

“I couldn’t tell them I lied, so I left. I’m going to need you to help me find a place for Gus and I.” I tell him.

 

“No.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, Gus needs a place to live.” I tell him.

 

“Which Mel provides, I really don’t have any say in that.” He tells me, and you know he’s right.

 

“Maybe since Mel and I aren’t together it’s time for you and I to change some things.” I tell him.

 

“Lindsay, it has nothing to do with me, only you and Mel can change anything. I already told Mel if she needs anything for Gus to let you know, since I waived that right.” He tells me.

 

“I need help finding an apartment.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe your little family can help with that, I’m busy with my new family.” Brian tells me, walking away.

 

“You and I need to make an appointment with our lawyers to work on custody and the divorce, so call me when you want Gus and I’ll make sure he’s available, unless you want to take him now.” She tells me.

 

“I want to but right now I don’t have any place to take him.” I tell her.

 

“Call when you do, or if you just want to visit.” She tells me. “Lindsay, even though I’m not thrilled with what you and Michael seem to want to do, Gus still needs you.” She tells me.

 

“Then don’t make it harder for me to see him.” I tell her, going to my car.

 

“I wasn’t, I'm doing what you and Michael seem to think is best.” She tells me, going inside with the others. 

 

How did they change the rules on us?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 26 by starlight

BRIAN

 

With Justin working tonight, I sat in the loft trying to decide what I was doing with it. Justin hasn’t brought it up, but do we keep it? Ted was going to be stopping by to drop off files I left after we left Mel’s this afternoon. So when the buzzer rang I didn’t think much about it, until I opened the door to Hunter standing there.

 

“Hey, um… I wanted to see if Justin was here?” He asks me.

 

“He’s working tonight, anything I could help with?” I ask him.

 

“I wanted to see if he would come to the school with me.” He tells me.

 

“Deb said that Ben was taking you, is there some reason he isn’t?” I ask him.

 

“He said he would but, I guess he and Michael aren’t finding the whole Jenny being dropped off as easy as they thought and… It’s just I don’t want to inconvenience them.” He tells me. 

 

Ted comes up the steps and I guess we’re taking the littlest hustler to school tonight. 

 

“Ted, you're driving.” I tell him.

 

“I just came to deliver the stuff you asked.” He tells me.

 

“Now you're coming with me.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t have to.” Hunter tells us.

 

“Why not, it’s not like Ted has a life or anything, time to broaden our horizons.” I tell them.

 

We got to the place and it looked more like a large two story house with teens hanging out in the front, than a school. Hunter, Ted, and I walked in and up to the front desk, where a teen is typing on the computer.

 

“How can I help you?” The teen asks, smiling at me.

 

“I wanted to come and see if this might be a place I’d like to go.” Hunter tells her.

 

“Can I get your name and I’ll get you a packet your  brother and father could look at.” She tells Hunter, smiling at me twirling her hair.

 

“I’m Hunter Montgomery, but they're not…”

 

“Hunter be nice to Dad, I mean he drove us here and all. He tends to need a nap, but Hunter’s education won.” I tell him, smirking at Ted.

 

“That’s so sweet, I’m Jessica.” She tells me, staring.

 

“Jessica, think we could help my other son, Hunter?” Ted asks dryly, when she seems to ignoring everyone but me.

 

“Sure, and I think Ms Martinez is available to walk you two around. I could hang with him, so he doesn't get bored.” She tells us smiling.

 

I doubt she’d be thrilled when all the twirling wasn’t going to have me a slave at her feet. An older woman came out of the office and walked over to us.

 

“Good evening, can I help you.” The woman greeted us.

 

“They were here for a tour, I was just telling them I’d get you.” Jessica tells her. “I can stick around and keep him company.” Jessica offers again.

 

“Jessica you have class, so I’ll handle it, I’m Ms. Martinez.” She tells us leading us away from a disappointed Jessica. .

 

“I’m Hunter, and a friend of mine thought this might be someplace I could go.” Hunter tells her.

 

“The school was developed with the idea that getting an education means an environment where others don’t make it impossible to learn, if that helps.” She tells him.

 

“I’m HIV positive and…”

 

“Hunter, do you want an education?” She asks him.

 

“Yes, someone told me that HIV didn’t mean my life was over.” He tells her.

 

“That person is right, but without an education, your future could be left uncertain.” She tells him.

 

“What kind of classes are you offering and will he be able to get into college if he wants?” Ben asks from behind us.

 

“I didn’t think you were going to make it.” Hunter tells him.

 

“This is important for you and I wanted to be here.” Ben tells us.

 

“Are we ready?” She asks them.

 

I wanted to see what this school was offering, so I pulled Ted, who seem to think he could leave, behind me.

 

“We offer to help young ladies and men, a school where there is zero tolerance for anything but learning. We have classes that meet General Education needs, in order to get a diploma, not a GED, unless a GED is was the person wants. We don’t offer extra curricular courses, but only because most of the teachers here volunteer their time, if you're interested in anything like those, we have a few schools willing to let you come to those classes during the day. It’s up to you to let us know. Can you tell me how you heard about this school?” She asks us.

 

“His husband, Justin, told me about it.” Hunter tells her pointing at me.

 

“Justin Taylor?” She asks.

 

“Yes ma'am.” Hunter tells her.

 

“Let him know I expect a visit.” She tells me, and continues on.

 

“Are the classes by grade?” Ben asks as we pass another room with larger than normal classes.

 

“We like to test each student to see where they are and place them in the appropriate grade. Sometime you have kids who are beyond where they were in school, but because of other reasons are behind or performing as well as they could. So the classes are set up more by where a student individually is in their education. When I started with this idea to help, it was having students show up at the library, but they were going back to the same environment that was hindering their education. In fact Justin and Daphne were the ones who went with me to see what I would need to do to set up a school, because Justin understood what it was like to have people make learning harder.” She tells us.

 

I followed behind them and can see that the school is clean and well maintained. The kids weren’t running around on cell phones but sitting in the common room studying. I stopped Ted and let Ben and Hunter go on the tour.

 

“I wonder what it would take to be able to offer this to those kids?” I asks Ted.

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“We want to help them get a future, but face it, with being runaways and with things like Hunter did, it would make going to public school a nightmare for them, but a school like this is a way to offer them an education, which means more than a future at the Big Q, if they want it.” I tell him.

 

“Yes but setting up a school on top of what you're already planning means longer to get the center open.” He tells me.

 

“Not if we get Ms Martinez’s school involved.” I tell him.

 

“Brian this house is already overflowing and I doubt they could handle more kids in this house.” He tells me.

 

“Maybe offer the top floor for school, see if Mel can get what legal requirements we have to meet. Tell her to talk to Ms Martinez about what she had to do.” I tell him, when Hunter returns with Ben.

 

“Thanks for bringing him.” Ben tells us.

 

“We were just doing what Hunter needed from us.” I tell him, which seems to hit a nerve.

 

“We need to get back to Michael and Jenny.” He tells Hunter, ignoring me.

 

“You mean you do, I have plans for the week.” Hunter tells him.

 

“What plans?” Ben asks.

 

“Plans that don’t include watching you and Michael screw up, all in the name of fatherhood.” Hunter tells him.

 

“Hunter, you were there and saw how Mel couldn’t take care of a new baby.” Ben tells him.

 

“I was there and noticed that Mel had issues, you know, like most brand new mothers who were practically divorcing their partners the day they got home would.” Hunter tells him.

 

“We just feel that…”

 

“You and Michael could do better at the kid thing if you didn’t have to do more than change the diapers. Yeah I could see how Jenny would be more appealing to you.” Hunter tells him, walking to Ted’s car.

 

“You know, I used wonder how you and Michael got together, now I wonder why it was such a mystery.” Ted tells him, following Hunter.

 

“You going to tell me how I’m screwing up with Hunter too?” He asks.

 

“You seem to know you are, why do you need me to tell you?” I ask him.

 

MICHAEL

 

I looked at the schedule again and since Jenny was asleep, Mel could wait to feed her. I didn’t get writing down times like you had to have a schedule to feed a kid. I had to go back to the store two more times because we kept getting the wrong size diapers. I looked over at Jenny laying in the laundry basket and realized that Ben and I have to go get something for Jenny to sleep in.

 

Other than the diaper, that Ben had to change, nothing has been hard to do. I took Jenny over for the almost two hour feeding and checked on my shop while she was doing this. I got so involved in a debate about SpiderMan that the time just flew by. 

 

Lindsay called and said that she was going to dinner with her parents, and might stay at her sister’s for the night. She said to call if I ran into problems, I’m starting to think women make shit up.

 

“Hey Michael, did you just get back from Mel’s?” Ben asks, walking into the kitchen.

 

“No, Jenny seemed to want to sleep, so I didn’t bother.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, I think that Mel set that schedule up to so that Jenny didn’t go hungry.” He tells me.

 

“No, she wants to be a bitch and made it to prove her point.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, we know they want to prove a point, but we also need to make sure she stays on a schedule, babies tend to have problems when you don’t stick to what they know.” He tells me.

 

“She’s sleeping, I don’t see the point in waking her up just to feed her. We also need to go get something for her to sleep in.” I tell him.

 

Ben, Jenny, and I were in the middle of Big Q when the screaming started. I tried everything to calm her down. An employee suggested feeding her and I went and got some formula off the shelf, fuck Mel and her breastmilk. Only, Jenny seemed to not like the bottle, and Ben was bitching me out for not taking her to Mel’s on time. I tuned him out and fed Jenny the formula. She seemed fine until I went to burp her. She hurled all the formula on Ben and I in the car and started screaming again. I told Ben to drive to Ma’s and we could get her to take Jenny to Mel’s while we cleaned up, but when we got there no one was home. I called and there was no answer. We ended up having to take Jenny to Mel’s while covered in puke, because Jenny was screaming her head off. I handed Jenny to Mel and left, not saying a word to her. I figured Ben and I had a few hours so we headed to the house. After taking a quick shower, Ben told me that he needed to get sleep since he had early classes and I could go get Jenny. I went down stairs and switched on the TV. 

 

Ben woke me up. “Has Mel called?” I ask, yawning.

 

“I’m sure she has, but I think she gave up around six this morning.” Ben tells me.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian came to pick me up from the hospital in my car. He came by and got the car last night, telling me that he didn’t want me driving after working all night. We had a late dinner together and he told me that he wanted to talk about the loft. He owned the building and thought about renting it, but I could see it meant a lot to him. We both saw it as a place we could use when we wanted to get away and be left alone. While I was waiting I talked to Mel and wasn’t surprised when she told me about Jenny. I got in the car and told Brian.

 

“Michael dropped Jenny off last night and never came back to pick her up.” I tell him. 

 

“It was what we all expected. When Ben showed up to tour the school with Hunter, after Ted and I took him, I got the feeling it wasn’t as easy as they dreamed it would be. By the way, I like what Ms Martinez is doing there.” He tells me. 

 

“It would have made my life easier if I’d had something like that.” I tell him. 

 

“She mentioned that and said for you to drop by and see her.” He tells me. 

 

“I keep meaning to, but my husband is taking up a lot of my free time.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“It’s such a hardship to have to worship at my feet.” He smirks.

 

“Speaking of dropping by, do you mind if we stopped by Mel's?” I ask. 

 

“I figured you'd want to, so I picked up breakfast. I thought we could drive Gus to school.” He tells me. 

 

We pulled up to Mel's and almost left. Michael was standing at her door. I looked over at the car beside us and Lindsay and Ben were in it.

 

“We could come back.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm here to see Gus and them being here doesn't change that.” He tells me, getting out of the car and grabbing the bags he brought with breakfast. 

 

When the doors closed it was as if whatever he was saying to Mel didn’t matter. Brian walked by without saying anything. I think Mel was surprised when Brian pulled her in the door and shut it in Michael's face. Not that it stopped Michael, who opened the door and came in.

 

“Brian you could have waited until I came in.” Michael tells him. 

 

“Normally when a door is shut in someone’s face they get a clue that they weren't invited in.” Mel tells him. 

 

Which just made it more relevant when Lindsay and Ben walked in without knocking.

 

“I need to get to work, so can we just get Jenny without the big production?” Ben asks. 

 

“I was explaining to Michael that it's time to feed Jenny again. Which you would know if you read the schedule I gave you. I would also appreciate it if you would knock when you come here, since this is not your home.” Mel tells him. 

 

“Mel this is all bullshit, and all it proves to us is that you aren’t willing to share Jenny.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I think I’ve been very accommodating. You were the one who talked about how breastfeeding is beneficial to a baby. I wanted Jenny to have the same things that we did with Gus.” Mel tells her.

 

“Yes but you could express the milk and not make Michael and Ben have to run back and forth like this.” She tells Mel.

 

“I don’t want to lose that bonding time, like you told me. Remember when you stayed home instead of letting anyone take care of Gus?” Mel asks her.

 

“Mel, Justin and I are going to help Gus get ready and breakfast will be in the kitchen.” I tell her.

 

“It might be a good idea for all of us to sit down and talk about how this is going to work.” Michael tells us.

 

“Justin and I are here to see Gus, that’s how it’s going to work. I bought breakfast for Mel, Justin, Gus, and I, sorry didn’t realize I needed to feed your family too.” Brian tells him walking into the kitchen.

 

“I’m sure there’s something we can make.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I’m sure there is but since you don’t live here and have yet to contribute any support, you don’t need to worry about making anything in my house.” Mel tells her.

 

“Mel, we need to find a way to get along.” Ben tells her.

 

“I’m letting you take my daughter and helped by giving you a schedule for feedings, how am I not getting along?” Mel asks sweetly.

 

“You dropped her off without food, clothes, or diapers, I don’t see that as getting along.” Michael tells her.

 

“I have those things for Jenny, and it’s not my responsibility to give them to you. You both want to claim that you're ready to be fathers, well it means having things your child needs when your child needs them. Which reminds me, we do need to talk about child support, at least until the court decides who would be the better parents.” Mel tells them.

 

Brian and I go upstairs to get Gus. Ben followed us upstairs, which didn’t really thrill Brian. 

 

“I get that what Michael and I wanted isn’t making anyone happy, but I just feel…” Ben stopped when Brian walked off.

 

“In case you're not getting this, he doesn’t care what you and Michael think.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want this to become a war.” Ben tells me.

 

“I don’t really get you, you’re standing here saying you don’t want to cause any problems but are causing them anyway. To me it seems like you want to act like what you're doing is best for Jenny. How do you see that, when it seems like you and Michael did nothing to prepare to take Jenny?” I ask.

 

“We were going to get what we needed when we got custody.” He tells me.

 

“IF you got custody, not when. Then again you were able to adopt Hunter, so who knows, if a judge will somehow see you as potential parents for a baby. I guess when Hunter is asked about it, maybe he’ll lie and say how wonderful it’s been to have fathers who are self-absorbed.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t know me or Michael well enough to say something like that.” He tells me.

 

“I’m only calling it how I see it. I do have one question.” I tell him.

 

“Go ahead, seeing as you seem to think you're an expert.” He tells me.

 

“If you're going to work and I assume Michael has to open his shop, who’s keeping Jenny?” I ask him.

 

“We were going to call Deb, and see if she could.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay’s not helping you?” I ask.

 

“Lindsay has to work today too.” He tells me.

 

“So you're going to DUMP Jenny off on someone while you all go to work?” I ask.

 

“We aren’t DUMPING Jenny off, but since everyone decided to try to show us we couldn’t do this, we are going to prove we can.” He tells me.

 

“I’m just wondering what the difference is to you in Mel relying on family, which seems to make it look like she can’t handle it, but when you and Michael do it, it’s responsible.” I tell him. “You don’t need to tell me, it’s that it’s only right if you and Michael do it.” I leave him standing there as Brian carries Gus by down the stairs. 

 

Only I guess Michael was worked up because it was no longer talking but yelling.

 

“I don’t fucking care that you think breast milk is best, it’s not going to be convenient for us to come here ten times a day.” Michael yells at Mel.

 

“Right now it’s how it works, because I’m allowing you to have your daughter.” Mel says reasonably.

 

“What about me? So far I’ve barely had time with Gus.” Lindsay sneers.

 

“I told you to let me know and you could come get him. I haven’t heard from you, so I assumed you didn’t have a place for him to go.” Mel tells her.

 

“Every bit of this is bullshit, I made up with Ben because no court will see a single mother as better than two parents.” Michael tells her.

 

“What?” Ben asks from behind Michael.

 

“You know that courts would see us as better for Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“No I get that part, what is the part about it being why we are back together?” Ben asks.

 

“It’s just that Lindsay and I were talking about how Mel wasn’t taking care of Jenny and Lindsay brought up that alone I wouldn’t look as good.” Michael tells him.

 

“Does he not realize that didn’t sound any better?” I whisper to Brian.

 

“Really. Was that what you discussed with Michael, Lindsay? When you came to me it was how I needed to not give up on Michael the way Mel gave up on you. You know that unlike Mel, I understood the vows that Michael and I made meant not walking away.” Ben tells her.

 

“Ben, I was worried about my friends.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“What were you and Lindsay really using me for?” Ben asks.

 

“What are you talking about using you? We’re married and doing what’s best for Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“Justin, I’m sorry for not listening.” Ben tells me, walking out of the house.

 

“What the hell did you say to Ben?” Michael asks me.

 

“Michael, I want you and Lindsay to leave, Jenny will be ready for you to take in an hour. So come back then.” Mel tells him opening the door.

 

“If you couldn’t have her ready now, then you can drop her off with Ma.” Michael tells her.

 

“Have you talked to Deb?” Brian asks.

 

“No, but she’ll want to spend time with Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“I’m sure she would, but since she and Carl went to see Carl’s children and grandchildren, it would make her keeping Jenny a little impossible.” Mel tells him.

 

“Then Lindsay can keep her.” Michael tells us.

 

“Michael, I’m already late for work so you need to figure this out.” Lindsay tells him walking out.

 

“Then you’ll just have to keep her.” Michael tells Mel.

 

“It’s not a problem, but you need to figure out how you're going to be a responsible father, which means figuring out how to juggle your life and taking care of Jenny.” Mel tells him.

 

“Have her ready when I get off work.” Michael tells her, following Lindsay who is standing in the driveway.

 

“Michael, call Ben and tell him to get back here.” We hear Lindsay tell him as we shut and lock the door.

 

“So, breakfast.” Mel tells us smiling. “Remind me to get Granny a large bouquet for this.” She tells us bouncing up the stairs laughing.

 

“Well Sonny Boy, you hungry?” Brian asks completely unconcerned about everyone else.

 

BRIAN

 

When we came outside with Gus, Michael was still standing in the driveway. I put Gus in the car seat, and walk around him to get in the car. Justin came out after making arrangements with Mel to pick up Gus, to have Michael standing in front of his car door.

 

“Michael, I need to get in the car.” Justin tells him.

 

“You can when you help me with our family.” He tells Justin.

 

“Call Auntie D and I’m sure he’ll make time for you, it’s not my job to make you likable, which I already explained to Ben.” Justin tells him.

 

I could tell Michael was going to keep at this so I backed the car out and Justin got in, leaving Michael standing in the driveway.

 

“Brian, you could offer me a ride to work.” Michael yells at me.

 

“Call your husband, I’m giving mine a ride home.” I tell him, driving off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I came home really tired, but knowing we had to go to the benefit tonight. It wasn’t something we could skip because most of his clients were attending. Daphne and Andrew decided to come with us, since it was a cause we believed in. I came in and found Gus sitting on the bed, all dressed and Brian putting on a dress shirt. 

 

“Let me get a shower and I'll be ready.” I tell him, dragging my ass to the shower.

 

“Justin, if you don’t want to go, it's fine.” Brian tells me.

 

“You have to attend, since Kelly seems to have invited all your clients to meet me.” I tell him. 

 

“You’re more important than networking.” He tells me. 

 

“Your business is just as important, trust me, I can do this.” I kissed him, because I knew he really meant that. 

 

Brian took Gus with him to wait for me. I arrived downstairs to two of the best looking dates anyone ever had. Grampy and Granny were waiting in the car with Mom and Tucker when we got outside. Brian gave them Gus and we drove in the corvette. Everyone waited for us to go in together and as we walked up an older couple started towards us. 

 

“Fuck.” Brian quietly said, grabbing my arm.

 

“Who?” I asked, smiling at people I knew.

 

“Lindsay’s parents and her sister are headed toward us.” He whispers.

 

Grampy and Granny walked in front of us with Gus and blocked the Petersons.

 

“Brian, it's been so long.” The man said, trying to get to Brian.

 

“I'm sure it has, but he's been busy settling into married life.” Grampy told the man.

 

“Not too busy to want to become a father again.” The woman smiled at Grampy.

 

“Really, I hadn’t heard that Brian and Justin were ready to become fathers to anyone other than Gus.” Grampy tells them, smiling down at Gus.

 

“We hope that Brian and Justin will help Lindsay with the new babies. Not like the way Brian did with Gus.” She tells Grampy.

 

“I think Brian does great with Gus.” Granny tell her.

 

“Nancy, hopefully it will be different this time.” The guy tells her.

 

“Ron, I just think with the end of that unfortunate situation, it’s time for Brian to see that we expect him to be more a part of the family.” Nancy tells him.

 

“Brian maybe you could bring Lindsay and Gus to see us. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen Gus.” Ron tells us. 

 

“Grampy, who are those people?” Gus asks.

 

“Well Gus my boy, they’re your mom’s parents.” Grampy tells him, and I love the embarrassed look they got.

 

“Strange that you didn’t recognize your grandson, but then it’s possibly because Brian monopolizes Gus.” Granny tell them.

 

“Of course we recognize Gussy.” Nancy walks over offering her hand to Gus.

 

“I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.” Gus tells her.

 

“Honey, I’m your Nana.” Nancy tells him.

 

“My Nana’s the pretty woman behind you.” Gus informs her.

 

“Brian, could we talk to you about the situation with Lindsay?” Ron asks.

 

“Why not talk to the guy responsible, because regardless of what Lindsay told you, it wasn’t me.” Brian tells him, taking my hand and walking by the now silent Petersons.

 

“Always like to make an entrance, my boy.” Grampy tells Gus, walking in with us.

 

Brian and I started around the room and met up with Ted and Blake. Ted seemed to not be very happy.

 

“I can’t believe this shit.” Ted tells us.

 

“Did they tell you Opera wasn’t the in thing, Dad?” Brian jokes.

 

“No, they fired Emmett after the party was arranged.” Ted tells us.

 

“Did they?” Grampy asks, not looking happy and well, Kelly most likely won’t be happy, since he handed us Gus and took off.

 

“I wonder if they will ever learn.” Mom tells us.

 

“What is he doing?” Ted asks.

 

“Most likely asking Kelly if she thinks firing the man who did all the work was a how she wants to run a business.” Granny tells him.

 

“All because of Emmett?” Ted asks confused.

 

“All because he believes that if you did your job, that is what should have mattered.” Granny tells him.

 

“Helen, it’s good to see you.” My dad and his wife come over with Gina in tow.

 

“Hey Justin, is this Brian?” Gina asks me.

 

“Yes, Brian meet my step sister Gina, Gina this is my husband, Brian.” I introduce him to her.

 

“Justin, is it really necessary to flaunt that here?” Dad asks me.

 

“He’s just introducing me to Brian the way you introduce my mom as your second wife to everyone else.” Gina smartly tells him. 

 

“Gina, why not go sit at the table and let the grown ups talk.” Dad tells her, unhappily.

 

“I don’t get why I had to come if he didn’t want a kid around.” She tells me.

 

“He’s old school, seen not heard.” I whisper to her.

 

“He’s a pain in my… so are you going to dance with me?” She asks me smiling sweetly at Dad.

 

“How about I dance with you.” Gus tells her.

 

We laugh as Gina lets Gus drag her to the dance floor. Dad had that look, the one that meant Addeline would be hearing about Gina tonight.

 

“Craig, since my daughter did me the favor of divorcing you, could you do me the favor of playing the scorned husband, on the other side of the room.” Granny tells him.

 

“I’m still Justin and Molly’s father.” He tells her.

 

“Yes, but like they say, we can’t pick who our parents are, Brian could tell you that.” She tells him.

 

“Justin, we need to talk later.” He tells me.

 

“Unless your going to be happy with my life, I don’t see the reason to talk. Why not just have a good time ignoring me and Brian.” I tell him.

 

I think Dad figured out that no one was on his side, but all that was put aside when Kelly came running to Brian.

 

“Brian, I need you to help me.” She tell him.

 

“What do you need?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t fire Emmett, my father and Craig did. I only found out when Warren told me. Now Warren isn’t going to give the donation he was planning.” She tells him, looking worried.

 

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t donate, I said that I wouldn’t pay the bill for the planner if firing him and replacing him with someone who didn’t do the work was your idea. Brian can’t help you change my mind.” Warren tells her.

 

“You got someone to replace Emmett, after the party was done?” Ted asks looking pissed.

 

“I swear I didn’t know, my mother was taking care of this and I hired Emmett to work with her. I promise, Emmett will get paid for doing this.” She tell us.

 

“Not to worry, since I offered to pay for the event, Emmett will definitely get paid.” Grampy tells her leading her back to her mother. The frown on Kelly’s mother’s face told us that she understood Grampy.

 

BRIAN

 

I took Justin around and introduced him to the clients that were here. Justin managed to find something to talk about with all of them. When Daphne came over, I left them to talk and went to get drinks for us. Warren walked with me to the bar, seeming to be happy with the end result of his talk with Kelly and family. 

 

“Where is Justin?” Warren asks.

 

“I left him with Daphne and one of my other clients, who has a son becoming a doctor.” I tell him, turning to see Ron standing next to us.

 

“I want to know why you’re saying you're not the father.” Ron tells me. 

 

“I assume because it wasn’t me who knocked up Lindsay.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

“Or could it be that your husband’s family might have a problem with it? Lindsay seems to think that you're denying it to keep your husband.” He tells me.

 

“Why would I? If it was mine, I’d be suing your daughter for theft. I like to know where my sperm is going.” I tell him, while Warren laughs.

 

“Ron, I’m going to do you a favor, call this number and talk to the father of your soon to be grandchildren. Brian doesn’t really have time for this game Lindsay seems to think having kids is.” Warren tells him, handing him a paper.

 

“Nothing is sacred with you is it.” I tell him laughing.

 

“If those were your kids you wouldn’t deny it, which shows how little they know you.” He tells me.

 

I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see Molly and Gina standing there. “Can you dance with us, it would so make Craig’s day.” I almost want to ask if the step should be half.

 

“Molly dance with an old man, let Gina have the fun you two concocted.” Grampy tells her as they go to the dance floor.

 

It went from slow to fast and Grampy seem to be able to deal with the change. Granny showed up and took her man, and they showed us they still had it. I held Justin who had Gus and watch them, thinking someday it would be us with our children watching us. 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 29 by starlight

 

BRIAN

 

This week has been non stop, when Grampy likes something he’s full speed ahead. Unlike the rest of the world, who have to get bids to start a project, Grampy just calls the guys who do the work on all of his projects. I was standing in the middle of the building that had seen better days and there was Grampy with a hardhat and plans for the entire building. Sean and I followed behind him as he told Hugh what he envisioned for the center. I kept thinking about the school and decided to mention it before this went too far.

 

“Grampy, we need to consider having a way for the kids to get an education.” I tell him.

 

“What were you thinking, because most of these kids aren’t going to be able to deal with public school.” Grampy tells me.

 

“When Ted and I went to see the school Hunter is going to attend, I thought the same thing. It’s just, an alternative school would offer the kids a chance if they wanted to finish and possibly look into college.” I tell him.

 

“Why didn’t you call me so I could come?” He asks me.

 

“I wanted a chance for Hunter to see the school without you deciding to buy a mansion for it.” I tell him smirking.

 

“This is the school Justin helped with right?” He asks me.

 

“That’s what Ms. Martinez told us.” I tell him.

 

“I was planning on seeing what they needed, I promised Justin not to do anything, but you know, a few computers and a couple gift cards don’t really count.” He tells me winking.

 

“It’s just, counseling will help, but giving them a future would do more.” I tell him.

 

“What were you thinking?” He asks me.

 

“The top floor could be separated into classrooms and we hire on teachers who don’t need to volunteer their time because we pay for it. I was just thinking we should maybe relook at it.” I tell him.

 

Grampy, Sean, and I walk up to the top floor, with the plans. The whole way, Hugh was being told the offices could be put in the building he purchased next to Kinnetik, and we change the top to classrooms. At that point it was just Hugh and his assistant redoing the plans while we looked around the rooms that most likely were being used by the homeless during winter. I went to open one door and heard a noise, when I looked in the room seemed empty, but there was a wad of dirty blankets and a couple garbage bags sitting in the corner. It was when I heard the whispered be quiet that I realized what those blankets were for. I walked to the closet and opened it to find a young girl and boy sitting in there.

 

“We were only staying until we found someplace else.” The girl told me and the boy started hyperventilating. 

 

I watched as the girl helped get the young boy to breathe and knew I needed Justin to come, because it sounded raspy and wet when the boy started coughing.

 

“He’s been sick for a few days so we came in here so he was out of the weather.” She tells me in a small voice.

 

“I’m Brian…” Hoping they’ll at least tell me their names.

 

“We’ll go.” She tells me, trying to pass me with the little boy.

 

“How about you stay and let me get someone to check him out for you? I promise not to try to stop you if you don’t feel comfortable.” I tell her standing back.

 

“Kayla… I need…” He starts wheezing.

 

I didn’t care anymore if they were staying until Justin could get here. I called him and he told me that he could be here in ten minutes. Grampy came in and blocked the door without them realizing it.

 

“You like this room, I’ll let you stay if you’ll wait for my grandson to get here.” He tells them.

 

“We don’t want to cause more trouble.” Kayla tells us.

 

“You're not, we’re just worried about ..., sorry you never told us your names.” Grampy tells them.

 

“Kayla and Joseph, but we don’t need anyone trying to separate us anymore.” She tells us.

 

“Why are people trying to separate you, you seem to be trying to take care of Joseph?” I ask her, hoping to stall long enough for Justin to get here.

 

“Our parents died and we were put in care, which is really just being told that we had to go to separate homes.” She tells me.

 

“BRIAN.” Justin yells as he’s running up the stairs.

 

I walk out of the room because Joseph seemed to get worse when he heard the yelling. 

 

“Hey, sorry, you forgot to tell me which floor.” He tells me.

 

“They’re scared.” I tell him.

 

“I deal with scared a lot.” He tells me walking in the room. 

 

“Meet my grandson Justin, he’s a hoity toity doctor.” Grampy said happily.

 

“Hi, so I heard someone here was sick, since I happen to like dealing with sick people, I thought I’d stop by.” Justin tells them smiling, but I could see he was worried when Joseph had a coughing fit.

 

“We don’t have his inhaler anymore.” She tells Justin.

 

“I’ll have a friend bring one, but how about you let me look at…” He looks to me.

 

“Joseph and she’s Kayla. He’s been having trouble breathing.” I tell him.

 

“That happens when the weather gets wet and cold, but I think we need take Joseph to the hospital Kayla, because he’s really too hot.” Justin tells her and I see the fear in her eyes.

 

“They’ll make us go back.” She tells Grampy.

 

“No one is going to make you do anything, well Justin will, but only because he wants to help.” Grampy tells her.

 

“How long have you two been out here by yourselves?” Justin asks her.

 

“A couple of weeks, but it’s just we got caught in the rain.” She tells him.

 

When Justin went to pick up the kid who seemed too skinny, Kayla tried to stop him but Justin somehow got her to let him and then held out his hand for her to come with him. She stared at the hand but since Justin didn’t try to make her take it she put her hand in it.

 

“How old are you Joseph?” He asks.

 

“I’m nine and three quarters.” He whispers. 

 

“Wow, so I’ll get to see you turn ten.” Justin tells him walking with the kids out.

 

“How about you Kayla?” Justin asks her.

 

“Thirteen, but everyone says I act older.” She tell him.

 

Grampy and I followed behind Justin, who kept them talking all the way to the car that Sean pulled to the front, and it was as if Sean knew not to ask where to go, because the car headed straight for the hospital. Justin let Kayla stay in the room with Joseph while they were checking him out and when they had to admit him because he had pneumonia, he got Kayla a bed and both of them a meal. Then did the one thing I knew he hated doing, called Child Services.

 

I stayed with the kids while Justin sat outside the room explaining the situation. 

 

“They’re going to make me leave him again.” She tells me.

 

“Justin and I will try to get them to let you stay, but if they don’t, we’ll try to make sure you can see each other.” I tell her. I wanted to promise but I didn’t know if I could give her that.

 

“Brian, I need to talk to you.” Justin tells me.

 

Justin and I walked to an office and he shuts the door.

 

“Elizabeth said Kayla showed up at Joseph’s school and they took off. They’d been placed in two different homes. I guess to some foster parents, nine and thirteen is too big of an age difference.” He tells me.

 

“What is she planning on doing?” I ask.

 

“Kayla is now considered a problem child and will be placed with a family who deals with behavior issues.” He tells me, practically seething.

 

“So because she wanted to be with her brother, she has issues?” I cannot believe wanting to be with your brother is an issue.

 

“Elizabeth is only saying how they handle runaways.” He tell me.

 

“What other way is there?” I ask him.

 

“If there was an approved family that will take them, understanding that Kayla is labeled a problem child, they could stay together. Right now she doesn’t have anyone that is willing.” He tells me biting his nail.

 

“What do you want to do?” I ask, because I think I know.

 

“I want to take them home, but Brian, we’re trying to get used to being married, and children mean a lot of our time.” He tells me.

 

“We make time for Gus.” I tell him.

 

“Do you feel like we would be able to make time for two more and Gus, because as much as I want to help them, Gus is just as important.” He tells me.

 

“I think my son has a big heart, and it’s a shame not to let him share it.” I tell him.

 

“I think my husband has a big heart.” Justin tells me walking into my arms.

 

“What do we have to do?” I ask, because I know he already found out.

 

“We have to get approved to be emergency foster parents. Then it’s paperwork.” He tells me groaning.

 

“You don’t think it’s going to be a problem that we’re gay?” I ask him.

 

“No, because for once, I’m going to use Grampy to get my way.” He tells me.

 

“You're about to make an old man happy, he’s been waiting for you to do something selfish.” I tell him, kissing him for constantly proving how unselfish he is.  

 

We were lucky, because Joseph was going to be in for a while and Grampy pulled enough strings to keep Kayla with us. I put Ted and Cynthia in charge at Kinnetik while we dealt with everything it takes to foster a child, I even made sure to get the information we would need if this became permanent.

 

Justin was in with Joseph, so I took Kayla with me to the cafeteria because I knew she needed more than the sandwich they gave her. Grampy was going to get Gus. While we waited I called Mel to see if she could help if we ran into roadblocks, she showed up twenty minutes later with Jenny.

 

“So Mikey still hasn’t managed a day?” I ask, because he was supposed to be with Jenny right now.

 

“He tried to convince Deb to come home, since Ben packed his bags and moved into an apartment at the school. By the way WASP on the warpath.” She tells me.

 

“I wasn’t going to have her parents up my ass because of Justin’s family.” I tell her. 

 

“Right now they are having a family meeting with Sam. I’m sure that’s going to thrill them.” She tells me.

 

“He’s not a woman, and that’s really what they want.” I tell her.

 

“So what’s going on with…” She looks at Kayla who was eyeing every move Mel made with Jenny.

 

“They were hiding out together. No family to take them both.” I tell her.

 

“You and Justin are thinking about it?” She asks.

 

“What’s to think about? They need us and I think in a way we could be happy having them.” I tell her.

 

“We need to talk to Gus about this.” She tells me.

 

“We will, but I think Gus understands that nothing changes how we feel about him.” I tell her.

 

“Whose Gus?” Kayla asks me.

 

“He’s my son.” I tell her.

 

“So you already have a kid.” She tells me acting disinterested.

 

“I do, but it’s not like I couldn’t have more.” I tell her.

 

“He might not like having other kids around, it happens in most of the homes I’ve been in.” She tells us.

 

“Gus was raised in an alternative family and understands that parents can be shared.” Mel tells her.

 

“I thought that Justin was your husband, did you two get divorced?” She asks.

 

I rolled my eyes when Mel handed me Jenny and put her head down, laughing her head off.

 

“Is she okay?” Kayla whispered.

 

“I’m fine…” Off she goes into hysterical land.

 

“Mel and I being married would be the end of the world as you know it.” I tell her. 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

When Grampy showed up with Gus, he was curious about the kids, but overall just took it as more kids to play with. Brian and Mel wanted to explain what this would mean to our family. 

 

“Will the kids come to my house?” He asks us.

 

“I don’t see why they can’t.” Mel tells us.

 

“So they are going to be like the babies mom is having, only they live with you and Dad?” He asks.

 

“Yes, it also means that we might have to share some of your time with them.” Brian tells him.

 

“But since you have Daddy, I can always have one of you, and I have Mama and Mommy. Those kids don’t have anyone. So I can share.” He tells us, like it’s the easiest decision in the world. 

 

So we took Gus in to meet Joseph and Kayla and watched as Gus talked their ears off, telling them how Brian and I were taking Callie and him to Disney and that they could come too. I see a trip to Disney in our future, because Gus wants it.

 

Granny stopped by to meet the kids and stay the night because Kayla wanted to stay with Joseph. I knew Brian and I needed to talk, because this was a big step and I didn't want him to feel he had to do this, even if I had to.

 

When we got in, talking suddenly seemed overrated, as Brian peeled off his shirt and walked into the bathroom. I followed him in and stripped to join him in the shower. Walking up behind him I let my hands feel the muscles as he washed his hair. How in the hell did I get this beautiful man, who was beautiful inside as well?

 

“I ask myself that all the time, how did I find you?” He asks me. 

 

“Maybe we were always supposed to meet.” I tell him. 

 

BRIAN 

 

I held his face and stared into the eyes that somehow make me feel that we've lived a thousand lives in a thousand ways. It was like we were two people who somehow needed the other to become whole. 

 

“I think I was wrong.” I tell him. 

 

“I don’t believe you could ever be wrong.” He tells me. 

 

“I honestly believed that if we hadn't had five years before meeting again, who I was would have pushed you away. That I would have run from the life we are going to have.” I tell him. 

 

“I would have chased you.” He tells me.

 

“I would have tried to hide from what you wanted is how I believe I would have reacted. Now I know I would have done anything and everything to keep you with me.” I tell him, kissing the man that I was blessed by marrying. 

 

I pulled him under the spray and continued to show him how much he gave me when he dragged me into the Beetles chapel. He stood still as I washed every inch of his skin and kissed each part as the soap washed off of him. Turning him to give equal care to his back. I licked his spine as I the water bared each inch of skin. Spreading him open to me I teased him as he leaned against the wall and moaned my name. Entering him with my fingers, I grazed his prostate which always has him ready for more and as I stood I pulled a condom off the shelf and removed my fingers to give him what he was begging for. I pulled us so there wasn’t an inch of skin between us and made love to my husband. He reached for my hips and started moving. I needed to us to be completely sealed together as one and turned his face so I could devour him. When I felt his walls tightening, I reached around to stroke him to completion.

 

“Let go, because we will always be at the beginning, with us there is no end.” I whisper as he gave in and released and I allowed myself the same.

 

Later in bed, Justin seemed to be worried about us taking on Kayla and Joseph.

 

“I know that I said I wanted to do this one day, but if you don’t want to do this, I can find another way for them.” He tells me.

 

“They need to see that there is a life out there for them, one that doesn’t have a thirteen year old having to run with her brother. Justin, I like the way they need me.” I tell him.

 

“What do you mean by that?” He asks me.

 

“They need someone to be there and show them the world can be rainbows and sunshine.” I tell him.

 

“Brian Kinney’s school for lost boys and girls.” He tells me, smiling until he sees that I didn’t really like that reference. “What?” He asks.

 

“My life was one big Neverland. I was Peter Pan, the boy that never wanted to grow up. Lindsay use to call me Peter all the time. I think it was her way of telling me that I needed to stay who she and Mikey loved.” I tell him.

 

“What happened when you grew up?” He asks, kissing my chest.

 

“I got cancer and didn’t have the energy to keep pretending to be the person who I was slowly killing myself to be. Cancer opened my eyes to the fact that I wanted to live and see Gus become the person I know he’ll be.” I tell him.

 

“How did Michael and Lindsay treat you while you were recovering?” He asks me.

 

“I never told them, Deb knows but she’s kept it to herself.” I tell him.

 

“You know that having someone there helps.” He tells me.

 

“Ted and Cynthia were there, I knew they wouldn’t show up acting like I was sick. Michael and Lindsay would have shown up and I just didn’t have time to console them when I was puking.” I tell him.

 

“That’s what you mean isn’t it, that Kayla and Joseph need you to protect them from being hurt?” He asks me.

 

“How did you get that from Michael and Lindsay being a pain in my ass?” I ask him.

 

“You didn’t tell them because they would have come over acting like they were hurt, then it would have been up to you to soothe them. You were saving yourself from doing it by not telling them.” He tells me.

 

“They just don’t handle anything well. I mean look at them. Michael is out there acting like Jenny will have problems later if she doesn’t have a father, but doesn’t realize that a mother is just as important. Lindsay, instead of telling Mel the truth, ran to me and tried to hide what she did. Why would I want either of them around me when I couldn’t put up a fight.” I tell him.

 

“I just don’t get either of them. Lindsay is running around as if the babies she’s carrying don’t matter and Michael can’t see that he wasn’t doing a great job with Hunter, who with all his problems, would be easier than Jenny.” He tells me.

 

“Grampy said it on the night we had dinner, they don’t make a lot of sense. Part of it is they would run to me and expect me to make the problems go away.” I tell him.

 

“You know I don’t ever expect you to do something like that for me.” He tells me.

 

“If you ever needed it, I would do it without thought.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just that I want to help Kayla and Joseph, but not if it means that we aren’t ready for this.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, you were born for the Kaylas, Josephs, and Brians of the world. I could see it the moment you saw them. The fact that you were worried about Gus as well, who has a home and love, just proves to me that we can do this.” I tell him.

 

“Where do you get so much faith in me?” He asks.

 

“It started with a bowl of soup, from a concerned doctor.” I lean down and kiss the doubts from his eyes.

 

JUSTIN

 

Deb came home when she found out from my mom about Kayla and Joseph. Michael seemed to think this was his way of showing he could take care of Jenny. It seemed that when Deb met Carl’s children, who were the exact opposite of Michael, she told Carl it was time for some tough love. The only problem was, Michael found out about us taking in Kayla and Joseph, and showed up at Kinnetik along with Lindsay, to tell Brian it was a mistake. 

 

I got to see first hand what the two were really like, because even with the Jenny issue, they weren’t really joined in a cause. The idea of Brian and I with kids sent them over the edge. Only Brian had enough of the crap that they seem to want to do while we’re working and told them to meet us at the diner where we could discuss this in a proper place. I would have just asked Carl to pick their asses up and show them to a jail cell. When we walked into the diner, I realized that Brian actually had a reason for this.

 

“I saved the back booth for everyone. I called the gang and Danny.” Deb tells us. 

 

“Hey guys, Deb told me to get my fanny here, so here I am. Why…” Emmett looks to see Lindsay and Michael. “Ah it's like a reverse intervention, well let the games begin.” He tells us hooking an arm through mine.

 

Ted and Blake came in with Mel. The only one missing was Ben, but the next jingle was him, not looking thrilled that he was summoned.

 

“Now that everyone is here, why not tell us what you two ran to Brian’s office for?” Deb asks, sitting across from Lindsay and Michael. “Come on, all of us have things we want to do, but have put it on hold to hear you.” She tells them when they both remained silent.

 

“Fine, we want to know why.” Michael demands. 

 

“Because Justin loves me.” Brian tells him, not caring what he was really asking.

 

“Why wouldn't he, he landed the catch of Liberty Avenue, but I'm talking about taking in these kids.” He tells us. 

 

“Why do you care, you should be more worried about Jenny.” Mel tells him. 

 

“If they wanted to help, they could have helped me. Now my parents think I should let my sister raise these babies. All because Sam had to show up saying that he wasn’t father material.” Lindsay tells everyone.

 

“Just how is that Brian and Justin’s problem Lindsay?” Auntie D asks.

 

“It’s just it makes more sense that they would want to help with Gus’s siblings than some kids off the street that they don’t know.” Michael tells him.

 

“Why?” Auntie D asks.

 

“Brian is supposed to care about his two best friends.” Was all Michael could come up with.

 

“I’m sure he cares Michael, but he has a family of his own, which means any friends aren’t going to be first or even second in his life. Which, if you two had ever learned, you wouldn’t be partnerless right now.” Deb tells them.

 

“Ben seems to forget that he made vows, I guess he learned that from Mel.” Lindsay tells everyone.

 

“I forgot, really Lindsay? You know what I forgot, my son. I let Michael’s constant need to be the center of everyone’s universe blind me to the fact that I promised Hunter to be his father. Right now I deserve every unanswered phone call that I make, because I let Michael be more important than a kid that needed me. So I’m sorry if the vows that I made to someone who is supposed to be a grown man seem like they aren’t as important as the promises I made to Hunter.” Ben tells her.

 

“I care about Hunter.” Michael tells him.

 

“Do you, because right now he needs his father to be there for him. Yet, you're too busy fighting for rights to Jenny, when you couldn’t even take care of Hunter. Now instead of letting Brian and Justin do what they want, you’re here to tell them what Michael?” Ben asks him.

 

“You gave up the right to tell me anything when you left.” Michael tells him.

 

“You're absolutely right, so excuse me while I try to save what little respect Hunter still has for me.” Ben tells him, walking out.

 

“Son, is there a reason you're trying to lose everything?” Auntie D asks.

 

“I wouldn’t have lost anything if it wasn’t for the fucking blond asshole. Brian wouldn’t be letting some street urchins in his home…” Which was just the wrong thing to say in front of Deb. “GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY DINER!” Deb screams at him with tears as she runs to the back, with Danny and Emmett running after her.

 

“What the hell is wrong?” Michael asks, bewildered.

 

“Brian, if you want kids, then I’m offering to let you and Justin help me.” Lindsay said, ignoring Michael.

 

“What will it cost them Lindsay?” Mel sneers, walking out.

 

“You both need to seek some help.” Blake tells them.

 

Standing up and walking in front of Blake, was probably Michael’s first mistake, and well opening his mouth didn’t help much either. “I don’t need the opinion of a junkie, you're only here because Ted doesn’t see what a waste of fucking time you are. He should have learned when you left him to di…” Wow, Ted has a mean right hook.

 

“So Lindsay, figure it out and don’t bother Justin or I at work, unless you want your parents having to bail your ass out of jail.” Brian tells her, and chases after Ted, who slammed out with Blake giggling behind him.

 

“You might want to get him some ice or something.” I tell her checking to see if Ted did more damage.

 

“Why?” She asks.

 

“I don’t know, maybe because he’s probably the only friend you have left.” I tell her.

 

“We were never friends.” She tells me, gettting her coat. 

 

“Are you really anyone’s friend?” I tell her. As I leave, I look to see her sitting there watching me.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 31 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

I looked up from my comic book to see my father come in the door.

 

“I really don’t need another lecture on how I’m losing everything.” I tell him.

 

“You know it, so there isn’t much I can add to it.” He tells me.

 

“Why bother, when you couldn’t most of my life.” I tell him.

 

“It’s a family trait, we have a hard time giving up. Which Deb has, so I’m here in hopes that you’ll see you need to make up with the woman who raised you.” He tells me.

 

“She doesn’t want to see me.” I tell him, returning to my comic.

 

“So you just give up, why am I surprised? So you're sitting here reading a comic.” He tells me.

 

“I figured I should do the one thing that never disappointed me.” I tell him.

 

“While disappointing everyone who should matter to you. Why do you think you stumble at every road block?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t have the advantages of a good education.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

“Did you even work to get those advantages? It seems like you're drifting through life expecting everyone to clear everything out of your path.” He tells me sitting down when I just wanted him to leave me the hell alone.

 

“I had friends at one time, and now it seems like no one gives a shit about me.” I tell him.

 

“What have you done to make them want to? You seem to see them as the only way you can accomplish anything. They all worked for what they have, Michael. I look at Brian, who from what little he says about his past, doesn’t use it to excuse anything. If half of what I heard is true, he has more of a reason to be bitter than any of you.” He tells me.

 

“He’s just always makes what he wants happen.” I tell him, uncomfortable with this conversation.

 

“Does he ever do something if he doesn’t want to?” He asks me.

 

“Brian would never do something if he didn’t want to.” I tell him.

 

“So why were you trying to convince him what he decided was wrong?” He asks me.

 

“He never wanted the whole marriage and family.” I tell him.

 

“A lot of people say things like that when they don’t see it as something they could have.” He tells me.

 

“He could have always had it.” I tell him.

 

“I think he found who he wanted to have it with, and Michael, it wasn’t going to be you.” He tells me.

 

“Why does everyone always think I’m still pining for Brian?” I ask, tired of people not seeing that I moved on.

 

“Possibly because most people in your position would be trying to figure out how to save their marriage, not running around trying to run Brian’s life. You and Lindsay make quite the team.” He tells me.

 

“Ben walked away, and like Brian always said, you don’t chase anyone.” I tell him.

 

“What does Michael Novotny say?” He asks me.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask.

 

“I’m just wondering if you ever had a belief that Brian didn’t tell you.” He tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was running late coming home, it was the worst time for this. Brian needed to get to work and here I am causing him to be late. I jumped out of my car and ran into the house to find him on the floor with Gus and Joseph. Kayla was playing a game on the computer.

 

“I’m so sorry.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks me.

 

“You told me that you needed to work today, I ended up staying to help when they were short, which isn’t an excuse. I should have just come home.” I tell him.

 

“Guys, I’ll be right back.” Brian tells them, getting up and pulling me into the kitchen.

 

“I promise I’ll do better.” I tell him, pissed at myself for not being where I was supposed to be.

 

“Justin, we both know there are going to be times when work is going to make being on time not possible. We are doing this together, which means it’s not all on your shoulders.” He tells me.

 

“But…” He stops me.

 

“Justin, why were you late?” He asks.

 

“There was a car accident and they were short staffed.” I tell him, calming down.

 

“So you weren’t out having a spa day?” He asks, smirking.

 

“You told me you needed to work, and your business is just as important.” I tell him.

 

“I handled it, I have Ted and Cynthia bringing everything over, so you can sleep while we watch the kids. Hunter agreed to come over too, in case the kids need something.” He tells me.

 

“What am I doing?” I ask, kissing his chin.

 

“You are going to go upstairs and take a nap, then we are going to make dinner and eat with our kids.” He tells me.

 

“We are?” I ask smiling.

 

“Yes, I think that six years should be seen as an achievement. We can celebrate with the kids.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“I have something for you.” He tells me pulling a box out of his pocket.

 

He opens up the box and in it is a ring on a necklace. “I didn’t want you to have to take it off.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t get you anything.” I tell him. 

 

“I think a son and daughter was a pretty great gift, but don't feel like you have to stop there. Oh one more thing.” He tells me. 

 

“What Mr Kinney?” I ask. 

 

“That's Taylor-Kinney, and I kick ass as a husband.” He tells me, leaving the kitchen.

 

BRIAN 

 

I could tell the minute he ran in that he felt like shit for being late, but we knew these thing could happen. I could have been angry that he didn’t call, but his job isn't one where he can tell someone bleeding out, “Hold on I need to call my husband.” 

 

I guess I could have told him Daphne called to see if Callie could spend the night, if Justin and I didn't have plans. Which led to why we would. So yes, I had to be told too.

 

After Ted and Cynthia left, I sat around watching Hunter with the kids. It's a different side to him, instead of the smart mouth brat, there was the big brother who was interested in everything they wanted to do. Justin came down and told the kids it was time to figure out dinner. Hunter sat down, smiling as they ran after him.

 

“It’s like I always thought it should be. “ He said.

 

“I used to think it wasn't something I deserved.” I tell him, understanding what he was saying.

 

“Everyone deserves it, but sometimes it's not in the cards.” He tells me. 

 

“Why not? I managed it, and I doubt anyone would have thought I could.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm never going to get that.” He tells me, pointing at the kids surrounding Justin.

 

“A home, husband or in your case wife, family?” I ask.

 

“Yeah.” He tells me, shrugging.

 

“Why not, don’t use HIV, because children don’t have to be yours to be yours. A partner means finding the one that accepts you for who you are, and a home is the people who love you, not the roof over your head.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just having to start every relationship I’ll ever have with, ‘I have HIV’, tends to have people running.” He tells me.

 

“Then you wait for the person who won’t run. Hunter, you aren’t the only one with something that could kill you.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t…”

 

“No, but I had cancer and I still have years before I’m considered clear. Justin knows and he isn’t saying ‘sorry but I’d rather have a man who doesn’t have the chance of dealing with cancer again’. He just sees me.” I tell him.

 

“How come nobody knows about it?” He asked me.

 

“Because if I said anything it became more real and more frightening.” I tell him.

 

“You should have told someone.” He tells me.

 

“I should have, but at the time I thought I could handle it. Ted ended up having to know, and I found out that I had a friend I never knew I had. Hunter, you're going to find out who the real people in your life are, because they are going to be the ones who don’t hold your hand but stand by you.” I tell him. “One day you're going to find a person who sees only you, grab it and don’t let it go for anyone.” I tell him.

 

“You fell in love with him?” He asks me.

 

“In a way I think I was waiting for him to show up.” I tell him.

 

“I swear I need to record this, no one is going to believe Brian Kinney is ridiculously romantic.” He tells me, dodging the pillow I threw.

 

I went to get the door, rolling my eyes at Hunter making kissing noises and found Mel standing there with Jenny. 

 

“Hey, I already decided to adopt two kids, but you know, a lesbian with baby are not in the plans.” I tell her.

 

“Can it asshole. I’m here to help Hunter, and you are taking your husband out for the night.” She tells me, handing me Jenny.

 

“So Jenny are you coming with me?” I ask as she gurgles.

 

“No, I just realized that even Jenny is part of the Kinney fan club, which a few years ago would have had me jumping off a cliff, but now means that I can hand you the screaming bundle.” She tells me, smirking.

 

“Stupid question but isn’t this…” 

 

“Of course, but apparently he’s decided that with Ben leaving him, that he can’t be a full time father. So I figured I could celebrate victory by spoiling my son and daughter with attention, and hoping to turn all your children into my minions.” She tells me.

 

“Hey Mel… Mama!!... Ms Mel.” Came from every direction.

 

“So you and Justin want to go somewhere while I poison the kids against you?” She asks me.

 

I didn’t have to be asked twice. I took the spatula out of Justin’s hand gave it to Hunter and pulled Justin behind me. Then stopped and ran and kissed Mel for well, all the sex I was about to have.

 

I think we barely got into the loft dressed, and didn’t even make it past the kitchen counter, as we attacked each other. He pushed me against the refrigerator, pulling down the sweats that I ran out in. The warmth of his mouth was all I could ask for, but the twirl of his tongue showed me I could ask for everything and he would find away to give it to me. I pulled him up and backed him onto the kitchen table, laying him down so I could feast on him. I kissed each thigh then ran my tongue over his cock before taking his balls into my mouth, then going lower because I knew he loves when I tease him before entering him. Putting my fingers into his mouth, I let him get them wet and then entered him with each finger as he sat up and pulled me to him and sealed his lips over mine. He handed me something and I smiled as I lubed up and entered him. It was when I was seated to the hilt that I realized what wasn’t there.

 

“Justin.” I made him stop and look at me.

 

“All my test are clean and so are yours.” He tells me.

 

“Are you sure?” I ask him.

 

“As long as there isn’t anyone else, yes.” He tells me, pulling me to him.

 

We started to move and when I felt my orgasm, I rode through it until I felt him release on my chest. I helped him off the table and into the shower. 

 

“How are you sure I was clean?” I ask him.

 

“I pulled a Grampy and called someone, I wanted to give you the gift of being my first.” He tells me.

 

“You were mine too.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 32 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I dropped the kids off at their new school and took the day off in case they needed me. I came home and was pleasantly surprised to find Brian sitting in his office. I walked in and leaned on his desk, it was then that I noticed he wasn’t really working, but just staring at a blank screen.

 

“What’s going on?” I ask.

 

“I wanted to talk about Kayla and Joseph.” He tells me, pulling me in front of him.

 

“Okay, tell me what seems to be bothering you?” I ask.

 

“I think we should adopt them, why foster them when they are going to always need a family.” He tells me, and I didn’t push this because I wanted him and I to see if we really wanted this.

 

“I’m fine with it, but I didn’t want to keep changing our lives without us seeing if this could work.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, it’s been a month and I think we know we can deal with having them permanently.” He tells me.

 

“Then we sit them down and explain what we want and make sure they want it too.” I tell him.

 

“I got the information on what will be required. It really bothered me to see them price giving a child a home.” He tells me.

 

“It goes back into helping the kids who aren’t adopted.” I tell him, looking at the home visit and background checks.

 

“Yes, but if you don’t foster the child first like we’ve been doing, it could cost up to forty thousand.” He tells me.

 

“It’s just the way they finance the older, unadoptable kids.” I tell him.

 

“It doesn’t bother you?” He asks.

 

“Of course it does, I don’t understand how people will wait for years to get a healthy baby, yet leave a child in the system because of health issues. Joseph having asthma is a strike against him in the world of adoption.” I tell him.

 

“I wouldn’t care.” He tells me.

 

“It’s why I never thought about trying to get a baby. There are enough kids out there who already need a home, yet live in group homes, when foster homes are full.” I tell him.

 

“I never thought about it at all.” He tells me.

 

“But now you are?” I ask him.

 

“They were ours the minute we saw them, so to me it makes it a no brainer. I just didn’t like seeing the costs placed on children. Yes, I know you’ve told me in your way a few times why.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t want you to think badly about why you see it.” I tell him.

 

“So Dad, when do we talk to the kids?” He asks.

 

“Why not when Gus and the kids get out of school Friday? We could take them out and celebrate.” I tell him leaning down to kiss him.

 

When the doorbell rings I groan, because we weren’t expecting anyone. Brian got up and went to see who it was. He came in with Grampy, Granny and Auntie D.

 

“I came under protest.” Grampy tells us, dropping on the couch.

 

“Warren, Danny’s worried.” Granny tells us.

 

“Is everything alright?” I ask.

 

“Brian, I’ve been stopping by to see Michael.” Auntie D tells him.

 

“Don’t tell me, he’s still blaming everyone for everything.” Brian tells him.

 

“I will never understand how that friendship got past graduating High School.” Grampy grumbles.

 

“Warren, can you at least understand that I want to help my son? I can’t be the father he seems to think would have changed everything for him, but I can’t stand by and watch him drown. I wanted to see what Brian thought.” Auntie D tells him.

 

“Brian’s smart enough to know Michael isn’t going to change.” Grampy argues.

 

“He quotes Brian as if Brian wrote a rule book you have to follow.” Auntie D tells him.

 

BRIAN

 

I sat there and wanted to laugh, Mikey got a Daddy and I guess it didn’t cure all his problems like he thought it would.

 

“What are you hoping that I could say to help you?” I ask.

 

“Why does Justin seem to rub him the wrong way? Most people like Justin.” Auntie D asks us.

 

“He married Brian, really Danny it’s obvious.” Grampy tells him, getting up to look at the drink cart. Justin and Granny drag him in the kitchen to leave Danny and I alone.

 

“Mikey always thought having a father would have made a big impact on his life. Only you realize that trying to be his father when you never were, isn’t something that can happen in a day, a week, or even a year. Mikey doesn’t like that you were in Justin’s life, when you could have been in his.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t even know about him.” He tells me, which means he expects logic to come out of Mikey.

 

“But when you did, there was no huge reunion, just unzipping you.” I tell him.

 

“I did what Deb wanted.” He tells me.

 

“Let me start this by saying, I love Deb as the only real mother I ever had, but it took years for her to really see Mikey for the selfish person he can be. So, what you had was her running around trying to solve his problems and finding a reason it couldn’t be Mikey’s fault. Normally that meant that it was mine. Before you think badly of her for it, she’s his mother, so she was blind to the things he did.” I tell him.

 

“To some extent weren’t you?” He asks.

 

“I saw it, but I don’t believe in telling someone how to live their life. Right now it might not seem like I care, but I also know there is nothing I could do for him that won’t have him expecting me to leave Justin.” I tell him.

 

“Which he blames Justin for.” He tells me.

 

“If it wasn’t Justin, it would have been anybody I spent more time with that wasn’t him. It’s why Lindsay and Mikey joining forces is kind of ridiculous. They really only ever tolerated each other, constantly trying convince themselves that I love one more than the other.” I tell him.

 

“He mentioned to me that you never told anyone you love Justin, just that Justin loves you.” He tells me.

 

“He never understood how easy it is to say I love you when it’s just words. I love Justin, I can say it, but I think showing him every day is more important than the words.” I tell him.

 

“Well apparently your words seem to be all Michael can spout, it’s like he never developed his own self.” He tells me.

 

“His self is dependent on the person he with. Before Ben there was David, who was a chiropractor with money and connections. Mikey went from ratty jeans and tee shirts to designer clothes. He even went as far as to tell Deb she was an embarrassment to his upper class life. When he and David failed, he came home and tried to run around partying the way I did. Ben came as the rest of us were ‘wasting our lives’, while he became a hubby and father. Now with Ben gone, he’s going to be trying to find a new person to be.” I tell him.

 

“He seems like he’s waiting for you to show up.” He tells me.

 

“Years ago I would have, but I can’t be his anchor anymore. One step in any direction and he would see it as me choosing him over Justin, and that won’t happen. The best way for me to help Mikey, is not to.” I tell him.

 

“I want him to have a good life, he’s my son.” He tells me.

 

“Justin thinks that Mikey needs to figure out why he hates himself, then maybe he can change it.” I tell him.

 

“Is that why you changed?” He ask me.

 

“It was time, life couldn’t be one continuous party. Gus needed a father to fight the estrogen overload in the house.” I tell him, getting up to see how they managed to keep Grampy out.

 

JUSTIN

 

Deb wanted us to drop by so she could treat the kids to a shake to celebrate their first day at a new school. Joseph, like Gus, didn’t care why they got ice cream, just that they got it. So Kayla sighed dramatically and told us that she would sacrifice for the boys. Brian and I loved that she was comfortable enough to kid around, it was better than the constant wariness she had for the first two weeks.

 

“Justin and I are adopting you.” Brian just blurts out.

 

“Okay, but we still get ice cream, right?” Joseph asks us.

 

“Of course we do, the Dad’s always give us dessert.” Kayla tells him and Gus, who nods enthusiastically.

 

When they ran in, I stopped Brian. “That’s how you wanted to tell them?” I ask.

 

“Why did it need to be a huge deal? I want them to know that we already see them as ours, and the adoption is just paperwork.” He tells me.

 

Kissing him I walked into the diner to hear Deb tell them adoption was just showing what Brian and I already knew, that they were our children.

 

MICHAEL

 

I was closing my shop when Lindsay came running in. I pulled her to the backroom when she seemed like she was about to start freaking out.

 

“They’re going to adopt those kids.” She tells me.

 

“That’s not a big surprise, it's just Justin trying to make sure he's tied to Brian.” I tell her.

 

“What about Gus, where does that leave him?” She asks.

 

“Exactly where you put him, when you forced Brian to hand him over.” I tell her.

 

“We let him see Gus and be there.” She tells me.

 

“You would have been better off telling Mel to shove ‘the rights’ bullshit, it would have given you a way to get back at Mel for fucking you and I over with Jenny.” I tell her.

 

“You're the one who gave up without even trying to fight Mel.” She tells me.

 

“If you had even bothered to help me, I could have tried to keep Jenny. You were too busy trying to push your bastards off on Brian. Now he isn’t willing to listen to you, but it helps me.” I tell her.

 

“How could him adopting kids help you?” She asks.

 

“I can be there for Brian, since I know all about adopting some kid off the street.” I tell her smirking.

 

“Well, unlike your absent son, I have one that we share.” She tells me sneering.

 

“You mean Mel and Brian share. All I have to do is make up with Hunter and I have my best friend back.” I tell her, smugly.

 

“I should have listened, but I really believed you couldn’t be as selfish as everyone thinks. I couldn’t believe that Deb could have a child who isn’t as generous as she is, but I guess Warren was right, I’ve been foolish enough to believe you were worth helping.” My father said, standing outside the back room. “Michael, using your child to benefit yourself is as low as any parent can go. Don’t let Lindsay’s way of dealing with Brian become yours. I’m going to bow out and do what your best friend suggested, to help you by not helping you. I can’t have a relationship with you if it involves hurting my Grandson.” He tells me.

 

“Justin is not your Grandson.” I tell him.

 

“No, but he’s always made me proud of who he was, but then Hunter’s on his way to doing that too, and he IS my grandson. So I think I’ll stop wasting my time with you, I had high hopes that we could at least forge a relationship.” My father tells me and leaves my shop.






Chapter 33 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian called to let me know he couldn’t meet me for lunch, one of his clients wanted to discuss a new campaign and decided that since he was in town it was a good time, which means Lindsay or Michael showed up. I went to the deli next to the hospital to get something other than a burger. I swear to myself that the kids will get healthy meals and then somehow we end up at the diner. I grabbed a sandwich and a paper and sat down. I was reading about the new center when someone sat across from me.

 

“Mind if I have a seat?” Michael asks.

 

“There are empty tables everywhere.” I tell him.

 

“I just think it’s time we clear the air.” He tells me.

 

“It’s clear as glass, you don’t like me. Nothing to clear up, I can’t and won’t disappear for you.” I tell him.

 

“The minute you showed up, you were the one being an asshole to me.” He tells me.

 

“And…”

 

“I just think that since we are related, we should try to find a way to deal with each other.” He tells me.

 

I just waited, because there is nothing I could add to the fact that I don’t want to deal with my cousin.

 

“I wanted to offer to host a dinner at my house, and see if there was some way for us to become friends. I wanted to see if you could get Hunter to at least agree to see me.” He tells me.

 

“I think it would be better for you to go to your son and tell him that even though you haven’t tried to do anything to see him, that you think being his father excuses it.” I tell him, getting up to leave.

 

I’ll give it to Michael, he’s persistent when he wants something, because he followed me right into the hospital.

 

“Michael, have you ever thought about seeing a doctor that could help you mentally? I deal with people when they need physical help.” I tell him.

 

“I just want my best friend to remember that we promised to always be there for each other, but since you showed up, it’s like my needing him stopped mattering.” He tells me.

 

“Then go to Brian and explain that to him, because I don’t tell Brian who he can or cannot see. Yes, I know you seem to believe I put some spell on Brian that is turning him into someone you can't manipulate, but I haven’t. I can’t help that he chose to grow up, leaving behind the stud you know and love. So following me around, thinking that somehow I would get Brian to talk to you isn’t really going to do anything for you. Now I need to get back to work.” I tell him.

 

“Well I need you to stop being a shit and making my life harder, so I think you can wait to play doctor.” He sneers at me.

 

“Think whatever makes you happy, but if I wanted to play at something, I wouldn’t have picked something that required years of education.”

 

When the doors to the ER burst open, Michael stood in the way and I had to push him aside so they could get past him. On the gurney was a little girl turning blue and two parents running behind them. I ran with the guys and took over while they were pushing her into the cubicle.

 

I threw off the gloves when we got the little girl stabilized and walked over to the parents to let them know that she was going to be alright, but was going have to stay away from bees. I ignored Michael and took the parents to see Izzy. When I came out there he was still sitting there.

 

“Is she okay?” He asked, looking at the ground.

 

“Yeah, good day.” I tell him.

 

“What’s a bad day like?” He asked.

 

“A bad day is when you do everything you knew how to and it didn’t change the results. You spend all your time trying to figure out if there was something you could have done differently. When it’s just a fact that some people die.” I tell him.

 

“I used to wonder if I’d gotten to my Uncle's house earlier, if he would still be alive. That if I hadn’t been so caught up in drama and had gone to check on him, maybe I would have been able to get him to the hospital on time.” He tells me, and I sit down because I know this feeling well.

 

“What happened?” I asked.

 

“He had HIV, but was doing well. Had just moved in with his partner and well, Ma and he were fighting. So she said some shit and handed me his stuff to take over there. I found him, thinking he was asleep, he wasn’t.” He tells me.

 

“HIV is a beast, Michael. People can go years leading active lives, but the drawback is that we can’t find the one drug that will help, without side effects that could kill them too. Hopefully someday it will become curable, I know Daphne wishes it was, for people like Hunter.” I tell him.

 

“Ben had complications a while back.” He tells me.

 

“He seems to be doing well now.” I tell him.

 

“It’s like I’m surrounded by death.” He tells me leaning his head back.

 

“Only if you view it that way. The first time we met you were celebrating life, and the second you were witnessing a new life coming into the world. Your mother is healthy, Ben and Hunter aren’t having health issues, and last I checked the only thing you’ve had was shingles which wouldn’t have killed you. You’re choosing to only see possible death, instead of the lives that are circling around you.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you not kicking my ass for bothering you?” He asks me.

 

“Because a little girl can breathe today. As fathers, it’s a wonder thing and I plan to not sit around trying to play the game of what could happen, and be happy with what did.” I tell him.

 

“Why is everything so easy for you?” He asks curiously.

 

“I don’t run around trying to make it hard, you do. Now get out while I’m still in a good mood.” I tell him, walking away.

 

BRIAN

 

Lindsay showed up in tears and begging to talk to me. I canceled with Justin because I knew she’d just keep showing up.

 

“Sydney fired me.” She tells me.

 

“On what grounds?” I ask, not really interested.

 

“He wants his daughter to work for him and can’t afford to employ both of us.” She tells me.

 

“So he fired you today?” I ask.

 

“Well no, he said he’d keep me on for a month, so I can start looking for something. He doesn’t get that, unlike his daughter, a new job won’t be easy for me to find.” She tells me, rubbing her stomach.

 

“Not if you waste your time crying in my office.” I tell her, regretting that I didn’t kick her pregnant ass out.

 

“I came because I heard you were looking for teachers.” She tells me.

 

“The center will be, so put the application in, but be prepared, because we aren’t looking for an artist, but someone who can help give the kids the opportunity to get an education and possibly get into college. If that’s all, I really need to get to work.” I tell her.

 

“Can’t you just tell them to hire me?” She asks.

 

“No, because to me it’s important that the teachers believe in helping these kids. I don’t believe you think they deserve the help.” I tell her.

 

“I just don’t understand going this far for a PR campaign. All Drew had to do was smile for pictures and act like he cared, not buy a building.” She tells me.

 

“For me it’s about helping these kids see that they have choices. Before they become a heartless prick, someone who drank too much and thought love was an illusion we believe in just to make it palatable to stay with one person.” I tell her.

 

“Is he really worth having to change who you are?” She asks.

 

“Yes he is, because he won’t stand around letting me ruin my life, just to be someone everyone thinks I am.” I tell her.

 

“I wanted to see if you could talk to Mel and tell her that we should share the house.” She tells me, ignoring what I said.

 

“I don’t see why you think I need to do it, so nope.” I tell her, getting up and getting my things together.

 

“Brian, I need a place to go. I don’t get why I can’t stay at your loft or even one of the other lofts in the building.” She tells me, following me when I picked up my briefcase and walked out the door.

 

“I reserve those for people who can afford the rent, which you can’t.” I tell her, getting my coat and walking out to my car.

 

“Where are you going?” She asks, when I unlocked my door.

 

“I want to pick up my sons and daughter and see if Justin can have a late lunch with us.” I tell her over the hood.

 

“I could come too, I mean I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time with Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Sorry, but no one gets to interrupt our family time.” I tell her.

 

“So Justin doesn’t like that you might want to spend time with your friends. I never thought I’d see the day that Brian Kinney was whipped by his husband.” She tells me rolling her eyes.

 

“Actually, it’s my rule. I like that my children don’t have to compete for my attention. You know, the way that you and Mikey seem to think that nothing should matter but what you want. Bye.” I tell her, getting in and driving to the school.

 

MICHAEL

 

I let my part time guy get to school and wanted to throw shit when he told me he found a job that pays better. I barely sat down before Lindsay showed up. Last thing I wanted to deal with was her.

 

“You won't believe it, he wouldn't even help me get a job.” She rants.

 

“Kinnetik only hires people who can actually draw.” I tell her.

 

“I can, it's just being with Mel stifled me.” She tells me.

 

I really wanted to say that her big dream to be an artist was stifled by her inability to get past fucking a real artist, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with her. Justin ruined my plans to get Brian over to my house.

 

“Why did you go see him in the first place?” I ask.

 

“Sydney told me he wanted his spoiled daughter to take my job. I was trying to get him to let me have one of the loft apartments.” She tells me sitting down.

 

“He’s never going to play family with you and those kids.” I tell her, pointing at her stomach.

 

“Unlike you, I don’t dream of playing wife to Brian. I just can’t stay with my sister any longer, she keeps treating me like the help.” She tells me.

 

“I wish I’d been able to fight Mel for custody but when Ben left the money to fight went with him.” I tell her.

 

“I was thinking about that, maybe we should fight it together, as a couple.” She tells me.

 

“What are you talking about now?” I ask her.

 

“If we, as a couple, sued, it would look better.” She tells me.

 

“Like a judge would care that we jointly sued Mel.” I tell her.

 

“Michael, we announce that we are going to raise these babies together as a couple, then as a couple we get Gus and Jenny. Which means Brian would have to come to us to see Gus. I think it’s time he sees what treating us like shit can do.” She tells me.

 

“You're still married to Mel and I’m still married to Ben, I don’t see anyone believing we are a couple.” I tell her.

 

“Mel and I never really got married, just a domestic partnership, and you and Ben never married here, so it’s not really legal. I think we should show up at Sunday dinner together.” She tells me.

 

“I’m gay, and I doubt anyone is going to fall for this.” I tell her.

 

“They will when I move in with you.” She tells me.










Chapter 34 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

“What the hell is that?” Emmett asked.

 

“Are they holding hands?” Blake asks

 

“What are you looking at?” Deb asks us.

 

“That.” Emmett pointed. 

 

Brian turned around in the booth and Ted looked over to see what Emmett and Blake were staring at. Mel and I were sitting at the booth behind them with the kids, we both looked out the window in time to see Michael and Lindsay kiss each other as they came in the door. It would have been more convincing if they didn’t both look as if they had sucked on lemons afterwards. Brian snickered and turned back around to read the contracts that Ted brought with them. Deb scooted me over then laid her head on my shoulder shaking with laughter. 

 

Michael and Lindsay sat at a booth by the front holding hands and then leaned over the table to kiss again, Deb, who looked, started laughing even harder. Michael looked around while the rest of the diner seem to be in fits of laughter or making snorting giggle noises. 

 

“Ma, why not sit with us?” Michael yelled, and Deb got up and ran to kitchen, still laughing.

 

“Don’t worry Pumpkin, everyone will get used to us.” Michael tells Lindsay, who cringed at the pet name.

 

“Darling, it only matters what we think of our relationship.” She tells him cooing at him.

 

Emmett walks over and feels their heads, then comes back to the table.

 

“No fever, so it can’t be delirium.” He announces.

 

“Maybe they finally snapped when they couldn’t get Brian to listen to them.” Blake tells us.

 

“OR MAYBE, Lindsay and I realized what we meant to each other.” Michael tells us, standing over Blake glaring.

 

“Well we know that Lindsay has the occasional yen for a dic… Salami.” Emmett tells us, smiling at Joseph and Gus when they seemed to be paying close attention.

 

“Last we all checked they seem to have that in common, so Michael, when did you come out in reverse?” Ted asks.

 

“We realized that we wanted to raise a family in a more traditional way. Michael lent me a shoulder to cry on, when I found out that the people who we thought were family obviously didn’t understand what family means.” Lindsay tells us, staring at Brian.

 

“I realized that Lindsay was what I was missing from my life, right Babe.” He tells her reaching up to kiss her cheek. 

 

“We hope everyone can be happy for us, Lindsay is joining me in my business, we wanted to share everything.” He tells us, smiling up at her. 

 

“Well, we need to get going. Mel, we will be contacting you about our visitation with the children. Brian we would love to have Justin’s children come over too.” Lindsay tells us, dragging Michael behind her out the door.

 

“Mama, why is mommy kissing Uncle Mikey?” Gus asks, wrinkling his nose.

 

“Not sure Gus, but maybe you can ask her when she calls you.” Mel tells him.

 

“Dad, so when you said he was gay, did that mean happy?” Kayla asked Brian.

 

Which set us all off laughing, Deb peeked out of the kitchen and ran to the door to watch them walking down the street. Poor Hunter was staring and ran into the door. 

 

After that the rest of the week became Lindsay and Michael trying to show everyone they were a couple. Ted and Blake let us know that Lindsay and Michael had dinner with Lindsay’s parents, showing off a ring.

 

“I actually heard Ron say Mel wasn’t nearly as bad as this, when they passed our table, leaving Lindsay and Michael sitting together. Nancy said at least Mel knew how to hold a fork.” Blake tells us giggling.

 

“I don’t know if that’s really a compliment or not.” Mel tells us.

 

“Honey, they actually called Darren to see if he could plan their engagement party. Oh, and asked him to not include me as I wouldn’t understand what commitment means.” Emmett tells us, rolling his eyes.

 

They called Mel to take Jenny and Gus for a ‘family weekend’, but ended up having to bring them home when Gus didn’t want to stay with Michael and Jenny cried nonstop for Mel. Which led to the two of them arguing in front of Gus, who was only too happy to tell Mama and Dad what they said.

 

“Uncle Mikey said they’ll never convince everyone they should have custody if Jenny and I acted like brats. Mommy got mad and threw his dolls at him and told him that he needed to stop playing with dolls and making her be the man in the relationship.” He tells us, playing with his trains.

 

So we weren’t surprised when they showed up at Deb’s hand in hand for dinner. 

 

BRIAN

 

 When the came in they sat directly in front of me and Mel.

 

“Lindsay and I really think that Gus and Jenny would live a more normal life in our house.” Michael tells us.

 

“That's wonderful, I assume before that happens you and Lindsay will be able to pay the child support that so far I haven’t seen. I know right now you are just one payment each behind, but it adds up with each month it will take for this to get near a courtroom.” Mel tells him.

 

“With Brian providing support, you don’t need me to pay.” Lindsay tells her. 

 

“What Brian gifts to Mel for Gus, isn’t support, Lindsay. He'd have to have the rights of any father for it to be considered support. Even if what he gives to Mel was support, it doesn't change that you still owe your contribution to your son’s upbringing.” Ted tells her.

 

“Right now Michael and I don't have extra money to help out.” She tells him sadly.

 

“Then get a side job, it's how I raised Michael by myself. I ate peanut butter like it was steak, while making sure Michael had a good meal, because I didn’t have a Brian or Mel in my life.” Deb tells them.

 

“You both know that it’s not going to look good in court when Mel has to get your wages garnished because you're not taking care of the kids.” Carl tells them. 

 

“Don’t take this as us not wanting to see you two share Gus and Jenny with me, it’s just that I want you to have a fighting chance against me. It’s just not fun to watch as my lawyer will be able to throw out a few examples already of your less that adequate parenting.” Mel tells them.

 

“Brian, you know I only want the best for Gus.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I know that you want us to think that, but I just don’t see it in your actions. To me, actions show you mean it. You showing up and taking Gus out, but not helping Mel support him, doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling this Novotny-Peterson relationship has.” I tell them.

 

“Deb, you know that a child should be with his mother.” Lindsay tells her when I guess I didn’t give her what she wanted from me.

 

“I really believe that, but Mel is his mother too, so he is with his mother.” She tells her.

 

“Just for shits and giggles, how are you two planning to support Sammy’s babies?” I ask.

 

“Michael and I have decided that Michael will be the father to the twins.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“Which still leaves the question of how you plan to support the kids, because I’ve seen Michael’s books. The profit the shop is making barely covers his mortgage. Then there’s the issue of when you have the babies, how are you two planning to pay for that? I assume Lindsay’s insurance will be gone?” Ted tells them, looking to Mel.

 

“With us no longer being together, I couldn’t, in good conscience, keep you on my insurance.” Mel tells them.

 

“I need that in order to take care of my pregnancy.” Lindsay tells them. 

 

“You could always come to the free clinic for your appointments.” Justin says from the kitchen.

 

“I don’t want to sit in a room full of people who should have learned better than to get pregnant when they couldn’t afford a kid.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Isn’t that what you did?” Justin asks.

 

“I… look we just wanted everyone to be happy for us.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“We are, I mean all my life I wanted Michael to be able to marry and have children. Now you and Michael have made that possible. In fact, Danny and I want to throw the wedding for you. I rented the GLC and Devina is willing to perform. Unfortunately Emmett is booked for next week so it will just be a potluck for the reception. I plan to call Ron and Nancy to see if they want to be there for the blessed event.” Deb tells them.

 

“We were going to wait until… ” Michael stutters.

 

“I want us to wait until the babies are born to have a wedding.” Lindsay adds, when Michael seems at a loss for words.

 

“I don’t want your children to carry the stigma that Michael feels is the reason his life was so horrible. Now, instead of just sitting here, let’s eat and plan the wedding.” Deb tells them.

 

“We’d love to, but I think we need to celebrate that you're happy for us.” Lindsay tells her, uncomfortably.

 

“Don’t worry Lindsay, I’ll be there to help you and Michael. I never thought my Michael could get it up for a girl.” Deb giggles.

 

“Lindsay we might as well eat while we’re here, maybe you’ll learn how to cook something edible.” Michael tells a not happy Lindsay.

 

“I just don’t see the point in cooking something when you seem to just shovel it in and swallow.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“I have to, since your cooking makes me miss the fucking tofu curry Ben use to force feed me.” He snarks at her.

 

“AWE, it’s like your first lover’s spat.” Emmett tells them. Which I think got them to see that the couple routine needed work.

 

“Michael, I made more than enough that you can take some home. I mean, we’ve all tasted Lindsay’s idea of food.” Deb tells them, smiling through the insult.

 

“Oh my God, Deb, what was this?” Emmett asks moaning as he puts it in his mouth.

 

“Justin gave me the recipe, it’s meat marinated and stir fried in rice. I wanted something Brian would actually eat.” She tells us.

 

“What the hell, you didn’t think it should be about us?” Michael tells her.

 

“Since we are dealing with you two next week, I wanted to try out something Brian might actually eat for a change. I want you to be as happy with Lindsay as Brian is with Justin. So sit down, shut up, and eat.” She tells him plunking the plate in front of Michael.

 

“What the hell is this?” Michael asks, panting and reaching for his glass.

 

“Oh, the meat is actually marinaded in lime juice, salt and red pepper before you cook it.” Deb tells him smiling at Michael’s red face.

 

“That’s my Deb, you’ll always be one spicy red hot mama.” Carl tells her, before leaning over and kissing her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 35 by starlight

BRIAN

 

When Danny and Deb came over to Kinnetik to talk to Grampy, I was hanging out in his office finalizing an opening date for the center. Neither of us saw the point in not having at least part of the center open, so that these kids would at least have a place to go before the weather made these kids do things just to stay warm. Ted came in with Deb and Danny.

 

“I just don’t get how they haven’t figured out that no one's buying it?” Ted asks.

 

“I don’t think they care as long as the end result is that they get Jenny and Gus.” Grampy tells them.

 

“My son can’t even clean up his own room, much less be responsible for a baby.” Deb tells us.

 

Granny came in, kissed Grampy’s head, then mine and Ted’s, before sitting next to Grampy. “Everything go the way I told you it would?” She asks us.

 

“We all acted like we were happy with their relationship and offered them advice to be able to give the kids a loving home.” Deb tells her.

 

“It was just hard not to ask them how they expect us to believe it.” Ted tells her.

 

“I’m staying out of it like you told Brian and me to, but Michael needs help if he can’t see that this is the worst plan the two have concocted.” Danny tells Helen.

 

“Hopefully you won’t have a daughter-in-law before this is over.” I tell Deb.

 

“I’m really worried about those two babies, how are they going to be able to take care of them?” Ted asks us.

 

“Lindsay almost acts like she isn’t pregnant. I mean, she barely remembers them unless someone brings it up.” Deb tells him.

 

“It’s how she’s always dealt with things, if she doesn’t acknowledge it, then she doesn’t have to act like it matters.” I tell them.

 

“Like her use of Justin being Kayla and Joseph’s only father?” Danny asks.

 

“If she called them my children then she would have to see that having Gus didn’t make her special, because it would mean that I can love my nonbiological kids too.” I tell them.

 

“I doubt Michael could.” Ted tells us.

 

“Theodore, why are you so worried?” Granny asks him.

 

“It’s just we are building this center for children whose parents don’t seem to give a shit and it’s hard to see it living color, from people who I used to think were caring people. It brings home the fact that any child could be on the street.” Ted tells her.

 

“They don’t have to be Ted, but it takes someone wanting the commitment of children to help do the right thing when kids need the help.” Granny tells him.

 

“I know, but I can’t help but see that these babies will need more than Michael and Lindsay to have a good life.” He tells us.

 

“Ted you can’t take on the world, anymore than Justin wants to.” Grampy tells him.

 

“But if I could convince Michael and Lindsay the babies would be better off with two people who would want them, I want to.” Ted tells us, getting up and leaving the room.

 

Grampy and I got up to see why Ted seems so passionate about Lindsay’s babies, because he’s never seemed interested in any kid really. I found him reading a file and trying to ignore us.

 

“Ted, where did that come from?” I ask him.

 

“I guess that Blake and I were thinking about children, and then when you adopted Kayla and Joseph, it showed me that having one biologically didn’t matter. I just think Blake and I could possibly offer Lindsay and alternative to this idiotic plan. She isn’t a horrible mother, it’s just she doesn’t understand the responsibility doesn’t end with collecting support and kissing a boo-boo.” Ted tells us.

 

“Why not look for a kid that wouldn’t involve you having to deal with Lindsay?” Grampy asks him.

 

“Blake wants to adopt a baby, just so that we could experience it all from the start. We both think it’s great that Brian and Justin didn’t, but for us it’s just wanting to experience it all from the beginning.” He tells me, almost apologizing for not wanting to do it the way Justin and I did.

 

“Ted there’s no right way to become a parent, what you do and what Brian and Justin do, doesn’t make one better than the other.” Granny tells him.

 

“There are other children out there, you don’t have to deal with Lindsay.” Grampy adds.

 

“It’s just… damn it, Blake and I want a child and would do everything to give it what we barely had and to have to watch Lindsay treat it like a way to finance her life, just bothers me.” He tells us.

 

“Do you expect her to just hand over the babies?” Grampy ask him.

 

“I was thinking of offering to help her out, I know that we have to be careful because of the way it could be interpreted as us buying her kids.” Ted tells us.

 

“You can’t give her money at all if you want to adopt the kids.” Grampy tells him.

 

“It’s the only language she understands sometimes.” Ted tells us.

 

“Ted just be there to offer to take the babies, don’t give her a way to manipulate you.” Grampy tells him leaving.

 

“I doubt she is going to want me to have them.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t think Mel would be a better mother to Gus then Lindsay, but it happened.” I tell him, chasing after Grampy.

 

TED

 

I don’t even understand why I want to put myself through the shit Brian did with Lindsay.

 

“Ted, why is this really bothering you?” Granny asks.

 

“I couldn’t really tell you, maybe it comes from the fact that my parents seem to still want to be included in my life as long as Blake isn’t around to point out I’m gay. Being gay isn’t the sum of me, but it’s an aspect of my life that ignoring it won’t change. It’s like Lindsay treats this pregnancy, she doesn’t marvel in the fact that she can have children, just seems to ignore it. Blake and I will never have that, I almost hate her for being given the chance to have kids but treating it so fucking carelessly. Sorry Helen, it’s just hard to not want to curse her out.” I tell her sheepishly.

 

“Don’t worry there are a lot of things I would love to explain to both Michael and Lindsay, but I just don’t see the point in wasting words neither of them are willing to hear. Ted I want you to know that Grampy and I accept you for the sum of you, and we always will and so does Deb.” She tells me.

 

“She’s always loved us as her own. I never did get how Michael could act like Deb embarrassed him.” I tell her.

 

“That’s what us mothers are for, to make sure our children felt the same way we did, when our parents did something that embarrassed us.” She tells me.

 

“It must have been nice for Justin to not only have Jen but you guys to listen to him.” I tell her.

 

“I hope Grampy and I do it for all of you just like Deb, we love the new grandchildren my grandson has brought into our lives. Maybe instead of Helen and Warren you could find a way to be less formal. Blake managed to call us Granny and Grampy, hopefully you will too.” She tells me, kissing my head again and leaving.

 

I grabbed a paper bag from my desk and breathe into it, they expect me to call a legend in business, Grampy?

 

JUSTIN

 

I was running around trying to get groceries for dinner, I wanted to celebrate that my clinic would be opening soon. I got to the grocery store and saw Lindsay arguing with a guy. I didn’t care as long as I didn’t have to deal with her. Of course she saw me dragged the guy over to me.

 

“Justin, this is Sam.” She tells me and I look over, offering my hand because I honestly didn’t know what to do. “This is Justin, he’s Warren Marston’s grandson and Gus’s stepfather.” She tells him like she thinks we are all just one big happy family.

 

“Well, I’m going to get what I need, you two probably want to talk about the babies.” I tell him.

 

“Nothing to talk about, I don’t need more kids, but Lindsay seems to determined to have them.” He tells me.

 

“I thought you and Michael were planning on taking care of them?” I wanted to slap myself for even opening my mouth.

 

“It was Michael who thought that up, I just went along with it because I needed a place to go.” She tells me, wow, the tide turned quickly on that one.

 

“So no wedding? Sorry it didn’t work out but I am really in a hurry and need to get going.” I tell her.

 

“Sam wanted to see if you and Brian could spare some time to talk to us.” She asks me.

 

“Lindsay, Brian doesn’t really want to talk to you, and I honestly don’t get what you think talking to us would do.” I tell her.

 

“It’s just Sam offered to take me with him to Europe, and it wouldn’t be convenient with two babies…” She looks at me.

 

“Lindsay said that Mel wouldn’t want my bastards, but you and Brian don’t mind strays. I can give you money to deal with them.” Sam tells me.

 

“Sorry, but Brian and my children aren’t strays, but children we were lucky enough to find and complete our family with Gus. I’m sure you two can figure out a way to deal with babies unlucky enough to have you two for parents.” I tell them, walking away before I beat the shit of him for saying Kayla and Joseph were strays.

 

I picked up Kayla and Joseph and headed over to Mel’s to tell her that her ex is apparently about to skip out of the wedding. Gus answered the door and dragged Joseph behind him while Kayla followed. I went to find Mel. I was sort of surprised to see a woman sitting in the living room and even more when Mel came in smiling at the woman.

 

“Hey, if it’s a bad time I could take the kids with me.” I offer.

 

“Not at all, and old friend of mine was in town. Candice this is Justin, Gus’s other father.” She tells Candice.

 

“You married Brian Kinney?” She asks me.

 

“You know Brian?” I ask.

 

“Sort of, I met Mel through Lindsay and Brian was always somewhere. I wasn’t surprised when Mel told me that Lindsay asked Brian to father their son.” She tells me.

 

“Candice works for a group that helps gay parents fight for the rights to keep their children.” Mel tells me.

 

“It’s hard to understand why we aren’t considered just as good as a straight couple.” Candice tells her.

 

“Anyway, my lawyer called her in to help us in case Michael and Lindsay are really going to try and take this to court.” Mel tells me, acting guilty of wanting to spend time with another woman.

 

“About that, I have a feeling Michael is going to be fighting alone.” I tell her.

 

“Trouble in paradise already?” Mel asks, rolling her eyes.

 

“I don’t know, did Lindsay seem to really want Sam?” I ask her.

 

“I think she wanted the life he could offer her, whether she really wanted him, I couldn’t tell you. I didn’t realize there was even an affair until she finally admitted it.” Mel tells me.

 

“I saw them together at the store. They were talking to me as if I cared, and I guess Sam offered to take her with him to Europe, but not the babies.” I tell her.

 

“Where on earth do they think the babies would go?” She asks, and when I just stare, “You’re kidding?” She asks me.

 

“I guess she has some idea that we would just be willing to handle everything for her. While I love having children, I’m not keen on the idea of giving Lindsay one more way into our lives.” I tell her.

 

“I just couldn’t take on more children than the ones I have.” She tells me.

 

“You know, I never did understand how you stayed with Lindsay, she was always acting like everyone needed to kiss her ass. Sounds like she still expects it.” Candice tells us.



Chapter 36 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I couldn’t disagree with Candice but then I only know everything she’s been doing since we met. When the doorbell was pressed continuously, Mel took a deep breath and smiled as she answered the door to Michael and Lindsay. Lindsay was all smiles at Candice until I came back in from checking on the children.

 

“Justin, just the person I wanted to talk to. I was hoping that you would allow us to have your kids over one day.” She tells me, as she pulls me through the kitchen and out back.

 

“What’s wrong, afraid Michael might find out you're going to leave him high and dry?” I ask her.

 

“It was just a really great opportunity, it’s not like I’m going to be with Sam. I’ve always wanted to travel Europe and soak up the beauty.” She tells me.

 

“Which isn’t going to happen until these babies are born. Let me just answer you, Brian and I are not taking care of your kids, just so you have a reason to bother us.” I tell her.

 

“You have Gus, what would be the difference?” She asks.

 

“The difference is that you seem to think forcing Brian to take responsibility for your children is your right. Gus is a child Brian chose to have, but these two, he’s repeatedly told you that he is NOT willing to take any responsibility for. As the person who will have to raise any children in my home with Brian, yours won’t be one of them.” I tell her.

 

“But you’ll take in kids who you don’t even know.” She sneers.

 

“I took in the children who Brian and I fell in love with. I would love to have more kids, but not yours.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay sweetie, we need to spend time with Jenny.” Michael comes out.

 

“Of course, I just wanted Justin to know that his children would be just as welcome at our house as our children should be at his house.” She tells me.

 

“You're really a piece of work. Wonder how he’s going to like it when you leave him holding all the blame.” I whisper.

 

“Think about what him having these kids will be like for them.” She whispers, kissing my cheek.

 

“No worse than you, but then you don’t really worry about anyone but yourself, do you?” I whisper wiping my cheek.

 

BRIAN

 

When Justin showed up a Kinnetik to give us the news, Blake wasn’t thrilled with Ted wanting Lindsay’s kids. But when Justin told us about her and Sam, then showing up at Mel’s as if nothing had changed, it calmed Blake down, but Grampy seemed like he was thinking about how it could work.

 

“I do want a baby, but I won’t share my kids with her.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“It was just seeing the kind of life they would have if someone doesn’t help them out.” Ted tells him.

 

“I’m sorry for saying this, but haven’t you paid attention to the shit Lindsay pulls with Brian? I won’t be the yo-yo she pulls back and forth.” Blake tells him.

 

“Look, it was just an idea, and we’ll keep trying to adopt. I just hate seeing children we could help and not helping them.” Ted tells him.

 

“Ted, whatever you do, don’t let her find out you were willing to take the kids. Lindsay would see it as a way to bleed you.” Justin tells him.

 

“Listen to Justin Ted, if she has to give them up, make it so she can’t come back and use it to get things from you.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I want a baby, I really do, but we should just look elsewhere.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“Blake, think about the babies and the kind of life you and Ted could prevent them from having. Unlike Gus or Jenny, there isn’t a set a parents that would give them a better life. Gus and Jenny will always have Brian, Justin, and Mel, but there is just no way to expect them to want to be the parents to these babies. Mel because they will alway be a reminder of Lindsay’s affair, and Brian because it just gives Lindsay what she was trying to get from the beginning, Brian on the birth certificate.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I want to tell Lindsay yes, but I know she’s never going to give us full custody, with the stipulation that she waits until the kids are old enough to make their own minds up as to wanting to know her.” Justin tells them.

 

“I don’t, but I want Gus to be able to know his siblings. Justin we need to concentrate on Kayla, Joseph, and Gus, two babies in a few months would be more than we need.” I tell them.

 

“I agree, I mean I want to adopt again, but years from now. I wasn’t going to ask you to do this.” He tells me.

 

“I know but I also know that it bothers you that these babies future is uncertain.” I tell him.

 

“Blake, can we at least consider this, I promise the only way we’ll do it is if she gives us full custody and signs all rights away.” Ted tells him.

 

“I just don’t see her doing it, but I’ll agree to keep an open mind.” Blake tells him.

 

When they left, I turn to Grampy. “What are you trying to do?” I ask.

 

“I’m thinking that someone needs to help those babies, because Michael is never going to be father material. Lindsay doesn’t seem to want to be their mother. Regardless, they are going to be related to Gus, who needs everyone to welcome them to the family. The problem is that Brian can’t be the person who raises them, because telling her she can’t be around Brian wouldn’t work for her. With Ted she wouldn’t try to jump in his life.” He tells us.

 

“Hey… Oh sorry, didn’t mean to interrupt the serious.” Hunter tells us.

 

“Not a problem, since I called you to come.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Yeah, did you need me to do something?” He asks Grampy.

 

“Yes, but I wanted company for something, so I thought we could go together.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Okay, I have to get to school at six, so if you could drop me off that would be great. I was gonna see if Blake could pick me up at eight, but I guess him and Ted left.” Hunter tells Grampy.

 

“Not to worry, I’ll make sure you have a ride.” Grampy tells him, pulling Hunter out with him.

 

Kayla and Joseph came in to tell me about school and playing with Gus. This was the family that I wanted, and chose to have, I just need to get the guilt out of Justin’s eyes about Lindsay’s babies. 

 

After the kids went to bed, Justin came in and sat next to me, staring out the window.

 

“I feel like an asshole for not wanting to take the babies.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, it’s a shitty situation, but Lindsay would take advantage of it.” I tell him.

 

“So the babies suffer because of the mother.” He tells me.

 

“No, Justin if it comes to that we do what I know you think you should do. Let’s just hope that a better solution is available.” I tell him.

 

“It’s the first time in my life I’ve struggled with should do and don’t want to do. She played this cat and mouse game with me almost as if threatening to let Michael have the kids to make me say yes.” He tells me.

 

“You didn’t think to mention that?” I ask.

 

“She has enough against her in Blake’s eyes, I didn’t want to give him more.” He tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

I’d been staying at the shop because being around Lindsay is enough to make me what to slap the bitch. When she told everyone I was going to play daddy to those babies, I barely held back from rolling my eyes. I’d been spending time with Jenny but I just don’t see how it’s possible for me to be a full time father. I can’t even believe I went along with Lindsay, I can’t even stay in the same room with her without wanting to put a gag in her mouth. 

 

When the door opened I was going to say we were closed, but Hunter was standing there. He hadn’t really called me lately and I’ve been so busy with Lindsay’s shit that I didn’t pay attention.

 

“Hey, how have you been?” I ask him.

 

“Good, I started the school and test two grades higher, so their working with me to possibly finish early.” He tells me, looking around.

 

“I always knew if you applied yourself you would do great.” I tell him, really proud of him.

 

“It’s because no one cares about anything but learning. Unlike the school I was going to, everyone here only cares if you waste their time by not trying.” He tells me.

 

“Have you seen Ben?” I ask him.

 

“He and I have been hanging out a lot lately. He wants me to consider moving into the apartment with him. I’m thinking about it, but I think he needs time to figure out what he wants.” He tells me.

 

“He just needs to come home and realize that none of the things going on were about our marriage.” I tell him.

 

“That might be hard since you're with Lindsay, right?” He asks me.

 

“He should have stayed, then I wouldn’t be with Lindsay.” I tell him.

 

“Always someone else’s fault, I can see why you and Lindsay would be together. I really thought that you had good qualities, but maybe it was all window dressing.” He tells me, opening the door to leave.

 

I followed him out and see him opening the driver’s side door of a new car. “Hunter, why did you come here?” I ask.

 

“I wanted to show you my car, I got it for testing so high on my placement test.” He tells me.

 

“Who gave it to you?” I ask.

 

“Grampy and Granny. They said I shouldn’t always have to depend on people.” He tells me.

 

“My Uncle and Aunt gave you a car?” I yell, not believing this.

 

“No, all my grandparents got together and bought it.” He tells me.

 

I stood there thinking of all the shitty things I could say about how my family is so generous with everyone but me, but looked at the face of my son, and could see he was waiting for another reason to be disappointed in me. “It’s nice, just drive carefully.” I tell him.

 

“Thanks Dad. Maybe we can eat dinner or something?” He asks me.

 

“I’ll call.” I tell him and watch him drive off.

 

I didn’t feel like staying alone in the shop but couldn’t face the diner either, so I walked to Woody’s and sat at the bar. I looked over at Emmett, Ted, Blake, and Drew playing pool together and almost went over, but realized that I wouldn’t be welcome after the shit I did to Emmett. I finished my beer and walked out. Someone grabbed my arm and when I turned around it was Danny.

 

“Has it been all you hoped?” Danny asks me.

 

“And more.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

“Then do the smart thing and get out before you end up completely alone.” He tells me walking back in.

 

I got home and Lindsay was sitting there on the phone. When she saw me she hung up. I just didn’t care anymore, everything I agreed to was just causing my life more problems.

 

“Good God, your mother is just driving me insane with these shitty wedding plans.” She tells me.

 

“Well you wanted to play engaged, you get to deal with my mother.” I tell her.

 

“It’s bad enough I’m dealing with you and these babies that no one wants.” She rants.

 

“What do you mean? You said the reason you kept them was because you couldn’t kill them?” I ask her.

 

“I didn’t fucking know I was pregnant until it was too late. Do you really think I wanted children that would ruin my marriage to Mel, or that weren’t Brian’s? My life was perfect until this.” She tells me.

 

“Yeah, mine was too.” I tell her, going to my bedroom and closing my door.


Chapter 37 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Daphne was sitting in my office when I came in with Andrew. I watch my shark of an attorney turn into a softy.

 

“Honey, why are you in Brian’s office?” He asks. 

 

“Callie seems to think Brian's the only one that works here.” She tells him, handing him Andy.

 

“Where is Callie?” He asks. 

 

“Her favorite was here, where do you think?” She asks him. 

 

“Where's Justin?” I ask. 

 

“Probably spoiling Callie’s lunch. He said something about shakes and off they went.” She tells me. 

 

“So how's it been going in the life of Callie?” I ask.

 

“She still trying to have Mel and I trade babies, but I think having Gus around really helps. She’s watching how Gus adapted to all the new kids. He's been a God send when she gets jealous.” Daphne tells me. 

 

“I almost worried about how Gus would take us adopting Kayla and Joseph, but my sonny boy just seems to like all kids.” I tell her. 

 

“I know, Mel and I have been spending time together. She worried how Gus would feel about the kids living with you, but he came in while we were talking about it, and told her that nothing changed, just more kids. I think she was worried he’d want to live with you.” She tells me. 

 

“I'd be happy if he did, but she's been his mom his whole life and I refuse to change Gus’s life just because I want it.” I tell her. 

 

“It must be hard not to have him live with you.” Andrew tells me. 

 

“Of course it is, but I want what makes my son happy.” I tell him. 

 

“It you don't mind me asking, what is it with Lindsay? I don’t get the crazy moods. One minute she's plays the ‘want to be friends’, then it's like she's doing her best to make Mel miserable.” She asks. 

 

“I think she thought Mel would just roll over and accept what she did. Mel cheated on her at one time and they got back together, but Mel told Lindsay the truth, to where Lindsay kept lying. Lindsay most likely thinks Mel should have forgiven her, the way she did Mel.” I tell her. 

 

“I don’t really get cheating. I couldn’t get past it.” She tells me. 

 

“Most people never do, I know that for me, when you define a relationship, then you follow the rules. I think it helps when you really love the person you’re with.” Andrew tells her.

 

“Daddy, Uncle Justy said I could come to their house and play.” Callie comes running in but stops when she sees Andrew holding Andy.

 

“Callie, we talked about this.” Justin tells her as he walks in.

 

“I sorry, but I can’t jump on Andy.” She tells Justin.

 

“How about me?” Daphne asks holding out her arms as Callie runs to her. “Ready to go to lunch?” Daphne asks Andrew.

 

“I just need to get Brian to sign some papers and I’m all yours.” Andrew tells her, handing back Andy.

 

“I’ll meet you at the restaurant.” She tells him, taking the kids out.

 

“Thanks, she’s been better, but at times it’s like she wants us to forget Andy’s around.” Andrew tells Justin.

 

“She’s fine, it’s just everything was changing at once for her. It took time for her to adjust to the move, Andy, and me not being there as much.” Justin tells him.

 

“When you and I talked about you moving, I’ll admit I almost told you no, but it’s really given Daphne and I the chance to see what being just us is like.” He tells Justin.

 

“I didn’t want Daphne to think I was abandoning her, but we were depending too much on each other. We couldn’t expect to stay together forever, being best friends means allowing the other to be happy.” He tells Andrew.

 

It really pointed out all the things wrong with my friendships, I wanted them to be happy, but they didn’t like it if I was. I watch how Justin somehow became best friends with the person taking his best friend away. When Andrew left, I packed up my briefcase and hoped that Justin would understand what I need to do.

 

“I need to talk to Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Just pick up Gus on your way.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

MICHAEL

 

When Brian walked into the shop, I went to hug him, but he backed off.

 

“What, now I can’t greet you the way we used to?” I ask pissed.

 

“I just don’t see the point in pretending that you're the friend I thought you were.” He tells me.

 

“I am most likely the only real friend you have, I’m not running around acting like Justin’s a fucking saint, when he seems to be causing everyone’s life to go to shit.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not here to discuss Justin, my kids, or anything related to that part of my life. In a way, I’m giving you a chance to fix the shit you broke.” He tells me.

 

“Really, Brian Kinney, mister ‘I Don’t Believe In Love or Relationships’ thinks he has all the answers. Remind me again how you ended up married? It sure as hell wasn’t because you fell in love, the way I did.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t have all the answers, but I do know that what you and Lindsay are doing doesn’t make much sense. What was the purpose, to get custody of Jenny and Gus? I hate to break it to you, but any support you two think you’ll get from Mel, doesn’t outweigh how much you and Lindsay will have to pay to take care of them.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not about the money, it’s that my daughter deserves to have a father.” I tell him.

 

“Which Mel never denied you the right to be, yet it’s never enough for you.” He tells me.

 

“She promised my daughter would be raised with two parents.” I tell him.

 

“She’ll be raised with an entire family, how could that be a bad thing?” He asks me.

 

“You don’t know what it’s like to wish for a dad.” I tell him.

 

“No, but I know what it’s like to wish I didn’t have one. I know what it was like to have Deb be the mother I never had and to be thrilled that she included me in the huge heart she has. You saw the loud, brash woman, the rest of us saw the woman who said she loved us. Do you understand how what you're doing is spitting in the face of the woman who did everything for you?” He tells me.

 

“I wasn’t saying that Ma didn’t do the best she could, it’s just I could have had a father.” I tell him.

 

“He's was never going to be the father of your dreams, and your mother knew that. She spared you from having a father who wouldn’t have lived up to your expectations. Maybe it was a mistake on her part, not letting you see that Danny wouldn’t have been any happier in a marriage than my parents were. Your mother defied convention and did what she thought was right for her son, not that you appreciate what her doing that cost her. Which was her entire family.” He tells me. 

 

“We could have had one if she'd made him do the right thing.” He tells me. 

 

“What, people who couldn’t have any compassion for their daughter because she made a mistake, or Vic because his being gay went against their beliefs, but hey, since you're suddenly straight I'm sure these people you never met would be thrilled to welcome you. I mean you're halfway there, to being a good little Catholic.” He tells me. 

 

“Better them than the family who acts like I don't exist. Of course I didn't marry St Justin, so maybe it's you who needs to question your motivation for staying in a RELATIONSHIP, you know, the thing you never believed in.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm a believer Mikey, I just never met anyone who I saw as worth a relationship.” He tells me. 

 

“You need to go.” I tell him quietly.

 

“And you need to realize none of this shit is going to matter, when the people who used to care, moved on without you.” He tells me leaving.

 

“Why did you even come?” I ask. 

 

“I was hoping to find my friend under this mess, but I'm starting to wonder if we were ever really friends.” He tells me. 

 

“I am your best friend.” I tell him. 

 

“You don’t know how to be. I learned what a best friend is from your cousin.” He tells me, walking away.

 

DEB 

 

Carl was lounging on the couch when Michael barged in. I sat next to him and did what I promised Carl, nothing.

 

“Ma this is getting ridiculous, I'm your son.” He tells me. 

 

“Then act like one and sit down and give her some respect.” Carl tells him.

 

“I'm talking to my mother.” He tells Carl.

 

“Not like that you aren’t.” Carl tells him.

 

“Well she’s siding with everyone but me, so if you don’t mind I’d like to find out how she could think that she’s such a loving mother.” He tells Carl.

 

“You know Michael, I’ve always thought that your mother did too much for you, and it seems like you think she did too little. You want a father, well I’m right here. So sit your ass down and listen.” Carl tells him.

 

“Like you aren’t telling her to ignore me too.” Michael tells him, sitting down.

 

“Michael, we both want to help you, but you make it hard for us to. This Lindsay thing hasn’t fooled anyone, yet you two keep doing this shit. You're never going to be able to be a full time father, it means understanding that your needs don’t outweigh your child’s. Deb understood that at seventeen, and gave everything to you, and you keep holding out your hand for more. You’ve messed up every relationship you have, all because Brian chose someone that wasn’t you.” Carl tells him.

 

“I don’t care what Brian does, not like it will last, but I do care about my daughter. Which Brian wouldn’t understand, since Mel is taking care of Gus for him.” Michael tells him.

 

“I guess I don’t see it that way, to me, it’s Brian not wanting to take Gus away from the mother he loves and the home he knows. Michael, Justin isn’t going away, and nothing Brian is doing makes sense if he doesn’t see a future with Justin.” Carl tells him.

 

“Son, Jenny can’t replace your father, or Brian.” I tell him.

 

Michael got up started to leave but leaned over and kissed my cheek. “I might seem like I wasn’t grateful for everything you did to keep me, but I never thought about what you lost either.” He tells me and leaves the house.

 

“What do you think?” Carl asks me.

 

“It’s always one step forward and two steps back lately. Hopefully he’ll figure out what he’s doing.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 38 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian came home and I could see that whatever happened with Michael wasn’t what he had hoped for. He went upstairs to change and after an hour still hadn’t come down. Hunter showed up with the pizza I ordered for the kids movie night. 

 

“Where’s Brian?” Hunter asked when he didn’t see him.

 

“He’s upstairs. He went to see Michael but I’m assuming it didn’t go well.” I tell him.

 

“I got the kids, if you want to talk to him.” Hunter tells me.

 

I ran up the stairs and found Brian sitting on the chair next to the bed. I sat in the chair next to him and waited for him to decide if he wanted to say anything.

 

“Sorry for not coming down.” He tells me.

 

“The kids wanted to watch movies, so they're fine.” I tell him.

 

“I keep trying to see the guy who I once thought of as my best friend, it’s like he’s disappeared.” He tells me.

 

“What happened?” I ask.

 

“He once again blames you for everything. And Deb for not making Danny live a life he wouldn’t have been able to.” He tells me.

 

“What were you hoping would happen?” I ask him.

 

“That he’d wake up and get his life together.” He tells me.

 

“It’s hard to care about people and have to watch them ruin their lives.” I tell him.

 

“If it wasn’t for Deb and Gus, I wouldn’t care.” He tells me.

 

“You would, because you do care even when they’re disappointing you. I know it’s taken me years to understand that I can’t make my father accept my sexuality. I still have those odd moments when I wish there was something that would make him see that being gay isn’t the worst thing in the world I could be.” I tell him.

 

“He’s missing out on one of the best people I’ve ever known.” He tells me.

 

“I can say the same for him ignoring you.” I tell him.

 

“Let’s go watch whatever the kids seem to think beats classics.” He tells me, getting up.

 

 BRIAN

 

Michael must have figured out the hetero life was not for him, because a week later Lindsay was out of his house. Which didn't seem to bother her since Sam set her up in an apartment. What pissed me off was that Sam seems to be in my office to discuss my taking his kids. I looked over at Grampy, who was not the slightest bit impressed by Sam trying to get a commission and give away his kids.

 

“Lindsay told me that she wanted you to take care of her kids.” Sam tells me.

 

“She can want it, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to do it.” I tell him.

 

“I want Lindsay to come with me, but my life doesn’t have any room for kids. I just thought you’d welcome her being out of your hair.” He tells me.

 

“Other than her visits with Gus, she is out of my hair. Taking your kids just leaves me open to Lindsay showing up. A bit of advice though, order condoms in bulk or snip it, because children shouldn't have to deal with you as a father.” I tell him.

 

“That's what I'm saying.” He tells me. 

 

“There's another possibility, but it requires Lindsay and you to sign away any and all rights to those babies.” Grampy tells him.

 

“She said Brian wouldn’t ask that.” Sam tells us. 

 

“Brian isn’t the willing adopting parents.” Grampy tells him. 

 

“If it gives the kids a place to go, then I'm willing.” Sam tells him.

 

“There was no doubt in my mind you were, but it's Lindsay I was thinking about.” He tells Sam.

 

“I'm sure she'll agree.” He tells us. 

 

“How? Because so far it seems like she only wants to inconvenience Brian.” Grampy tells him. 

 

“Because I won't marry her if she keeps the kids.” He tells us. 

 

“Tell her we have a couple willing to adopt, as long as she gives up her rights.” Grampy tells him. 

 

“Be sure to let her know it isn't me.” I tell him as he leaves.

 

“That man is in a class all by himself.” Grampy tells me.

 

“As weird as it may seem, I can respect that he knows he isn’t father material. Although preventing it from happening would have been smarter.” I tell him.

 

“I thought she wasn’t interested in him, why would she want to marry him?” Grampy asks.

 

“I guess her dream of having a family and husband has changed to just the husband.” I tell him.

 

“What do you think this will do with her relationship with Gus?” He ask.

 

“I don’t know, but she’s going to have to give Mel and I full custody, if she expects to run off.” I tell him.

 

“I’d have the papers ready for her to sign, so that she can’t get out of it.” He tells me.

 

“Mel already did that, we were just waiting for Lindsay to approach us.” I tell him.

 

“Now we just need to let Blake and Ted know that it’s looking likely that they are going to be fathers.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll let Ted know so he can talk to Blake. We also need to decide how we are going to open the center. Hugh said the bottom floor and the dorms on the second floor would be ready soon.” I tell him.

 

“The coach and I talked about this and think the whole team needs to be there. They need to start treating Drew as part of their team and what better way than having the whole team open the center.” He tells me.

 

“Drew is still not out of the woods. When we decided against using that the fiance might have been cheating too, he’s still fighting that he’s to blame.” I tell him.

 

“He was willing to take the hit, since he made the decision to bring Emmett to his house. You were right that using it would sound like Drew just trying to discredit her for her discrediting him.” Grampy tells me.

 

“It would have just kept it front and center in the press. Now she’s barely getting interviews, so like all salacious news, it’s dying for lack of interest.” I tell him.

 

“I heard from a business associate that she was being offered the chance to be on the Bachelorette.” He tells me.

 

“Maybe tell the associate that being famous for turning a man gay isn’t going to make her popular among the men.” I tell him.

 

“Reality TV would find a way to make anything popular.” He tells me, leaving.

 

JUSTIN

 

Mel called and asked if I we could keep Gus for the night. She and Candice wanted to have dinner with old friends. When I asked about Jenny, she told me that Hunter already volunteered to watch her. I called Blake to see if he wanted to meet for lunch with Daphne, since I was going to be getting Gus. I was waiting at the diner talking to Deb, when Ben came in.

 

“Long time no see, what brings you here?” Deb asks him.

 

“Michael and I are meeting for lunch.” He tells her.

 

“Everything alright?” She asks.

 

“I just need to talk to Michael about some things.” He tells her, heading for the tables Kiki was waiting on.

 

“I guess he didn’t want us around.” Deb tells me.

 

“They need to deal with it without all of us interfering. Carl and Granny both said it, and it’s what I would want if my marriage was having problems.” I tell her.

 

“Sometimes I think Michael married Ben to be able to say he was married.” She tells me.

 

“I can’t say a lot, I got drunk and ended up married.” I tell her smiling.

 

Blake and Daphne showed up and Deb sat with us to have lunch. We really tried to pretend we weren't listening, but Michael made it impossible.

 

“Ben, I’m not moving there. I have a business and a life here, just like you do.” He screeches.

 

“I heard from a friend that Ben was offered a job at Penn State’s main campus.” Blake tells us.

 

“That’s only like two hours away, it’s not the moon.” Daphne tells us.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Michael, I wasn’t asking you to move.” Ben tells me quietly.

 

“Then what are you here to ask me?” I ask.

 

“We need to sell the house or you need to buy me out, and I needed to know what you wanted to do.” He tells me.

 

“So you're not even willing to try?” I ask him, trying to see if he’s serious about this.

 

“It’s all we seem to do is try, I just don’t see any way for us to make this work.” He tell me.

 

“What about Hunter, he’s still our son.” I tell him.

 

“Hunter knows and I decided on this when the school was willing to offer a discount to Hunter if he choses to come to college there. I think we can both agree that we want different things in life.” He tells me, getting up and leaving.

 

I laid my head on the table and realized it was too late, Ben was done with me. I felt a hand on my head and looked up to see Ma standing there with sympathy in her eyes. I turned into the arms of the one person who loved me all my life.

 

“It’s going to be okay.” She tells me as I cry into her apron.

 

TED

 

Brian called me to his office and told me what Sam said. I asked to leave because I need to know if Blake is willing to do this. When I walked in the diner, I saw Michael and Deb sitting together, with her mothering him. She’d been doing so well letting him deal with things on his own. 

 

“Ben told Michael he’s leaving him.” Blake tells me.

 

“I’m not surprised.” I tell him.

 

“Ted, be nice. Ending a relationship sucks, no matter who it happens to.” Justin tells me.

 

“I need to talk to Blake, about something more important than Michael causing his relationships to end.” I tell them.

 

“Well, then we’ll get our lunches to go, so you can talk.” Justin tells us, dragging Daphne behind him.

 

“That was really so unlike you, what’s up.” Blake asks.

 

“I want to know how you would feel if we were able to adopt the babies with Lindsay and Sam giving up all their rights.” I tell him.

 

“I need to know something first.” He tells me.

 

“Ask?” 

 

“Are you doing this because I said I wanted a child, or because you want one too. I’m asking because you never expressed any interest in having kids until I brought it up.” he tells me.

 

“I never wanted them until we got together. I think it’s because I never dated anyone that I could see as a father the way I see you.” I tell him.

 

“But do you really want to be a father to newborns?” He asks, staring at me.

 

“I want my children to see what wonderful fathers we can be.” I tell him.

 

“Okay.” He tells me.

 

“Okay? You want to elaborate, this isn’t choosing to put cream in coffee.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“Ted, I would love to share children with you, whether or not this works.” He tells me.

 

“One thing, we need to not tell anyone that it’s you and I.” I tell him.

 

“Why?”

 

“They want to get Lindsay to sign that we can privately adopt the babies, but if she knows it’s us I have a feeling she might balk at it.” I tell him. 

 

“I never tell anything, comes with working as a counselor.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

Chapter 39 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian was actually nervous about the center's opening day. He, Grampy, and Hunter went out every night to talk to the kids about exactly what the centers goals were, and to get their input on how to encourage the kids to come.  It was amazing to see the dedication Brian had to this. Daphne and I let Brian know that we would be happy to offer free health screenings at the center and after care if the kids needed it. 

 

The day of the opening was a surprise to all of us. We didn't expect a lot of kids to show, but they all did. We ended up having to send Emmett with a truck to replenish the kitchen before lunch. Grampy and Granny joined in to help when we needed more people to pass out food.

 

I was opening more plates when a teen came over.

 

“Is there some reason you didn’t ask us to help?” He asks. 

 

“No, we just wanted you to get a break.” I tell him. 

 

“A job would be better, free food is nice but being able to support ourselves would help more.” He tells me. 

 

“What kind of work are you looking for?” I ask. 

 

“Anything that helps me get the hell off the streets.” He tells me bluntly. 

 

“How old are you?” I ask, not really sure.

 

“I turned eighteen a few months ago.” He tells me. 

 

“Have you finished school?” I ask. 

 

“I couldn’t, my step dad kicked me out last year after my mom took off.” He tells me.

 

“The center is offering to help you get an education.” I tell him. 

 

“Which I'll be happy to do, but I want to work. So do a lot of these kids. Just because we're homeless doesn’t make us freeloaders.” He tells me.

 

“What kind of job are you looking for?” Brian asks when he walks up.

 

“Anything that means a paycheck.” He tells Brian.

 

“I’m asking you what you want.” Brian tells him.

 

“I don’t know, no one hires you when you don’t have a way to stay clean and an address.” He tells us.

 

“If you had a way, what interests you?” I ask.

 

“Zach, show them your stuff.” A girl behind him tells him, and I can see why he wanted to work.

 

“How far along are you?” I ask her.

 

“The nurse at the free clinic said six months, but I stopped going when they started suggesting that I give up the baby.” She tells me holding her stomach.

 

“I want our baby to have a roof over her head.” Zach tells me.

 

“Are you willing to follow instructions?” Brian asks him.

 

“I’m willing to do what I need to so Nat and I can keep our baby.” He tells Brian.

 

Brian walks off and gets Blake. When they returned Blake pulled Nat and Zach to the side. 

 

“What did you do?” I ask him.

 

“It was something a lot of the kids told us. The problem is we don’t have hundreds of jobs, but we can start trying to help them. We found out that helping them stand on their feet was important to a lot of the kids.” He tells me.

 

“I want to check over Nat, because it sounds like she hasn’t been seeing a doctor.” I tell him.

 

“It’s hard to not want to find them a place to live.” Blake tells us after talking to them.

 

“The dorms upstairs are open and all they have to do is see Ted and Mel.” I tell him, because I know the feeling.

 

“I took them to Ted, before I took them home with me.” He tells me.

 

“Wonder why he showed?” Emmett asks, looking at the door.

 

BRIAN

 

Michael stood there as if not sure of his welcome. I didn’t expect him to show up. He walked over to Grampy and talked to him, then started helping with making plates. Emmett walked by Michael, but ignored him when he tried to talk to him. 

 

I walked over to see what caused him to bother when it didn’t benefit him at all. We were never going to be the friends we were, but I couldn’t hate him, even when he was a constant disappointment.

 

“So what brings you here?” I ask him.

 

“Hunter told me you guys needed help.” He told me.

 

“We didn’t expect as many kids to show up.” I tell him.

 

“They’re getting off the street for a few hours, they should be grateful to be allowed in here.” He tells me, and the kid standing there turns and starts for the door.

 

“Someday learn to think before you say something.” I tell him, running after the girl. “Where are you going?” I ask her.

 

“Anywhere that doesn’t act like we can’t hear someone implying that we should be grateful that the rich folks did a good deed.” She tells me, trying to leave.

 

“I didn’t open the center to score good deed points.” I tell her.

 

“Then why?” She asks, seeming interested.

 

“My husband made me open my eyes, he showed me that the kids on the street weren’t invisible. I passed by day after day and never thought about it, but he couldn’t. After seeing the pain he felt because he couldn’t fix every one of their lives, I wanted to find a way to offer a solution that didn’t have him roaming the streets every night. He’d spend every cent he has and be homeless if it stopped kids from having to live this way, not because he wants you to be grateful, but because he wants you to have a chance at a better life. I don’t want you to be grateful either, but to use the opportunities to show the world it doesn’t matter where you come from, success is measured by what you do with the opportunities you're given.” I tell her.

 

“What if I’ve done things that people would condemn me for?” She asks.

 

“Why does your past matter? It’s what you do to make your future better that should count.” I tell her.

 

“So you’d let someone with a record, or that possibly has a past that could come back to haunt her, work for you?” She asks me.

 

“If someone could do the job, I don’t care about the rest.” I tell her.

 

“I kind of thought this was to cover up Drew Boyd screwing around. You know, like offer us a meal so we’ll take a picture for the cameras.” She tells me.

 

“I didn’t allow reporters in here because Drew agreed that we weren’t going to use you to help him. That’s why the team stayed out front to answer questions while all of you are in here.” I tell her.

 

“Nancy, this is a new low, even for you.” Carl tells her walking over.

 

“I just wanted to see if this was a publicity stunt or if it really is what everyone seems to think it is.” She tells Carl.

 

“You know you can’t write anything Brian said to you without his permission.” Carl tells her.

 

“I don’t appreciate you coming in here when we asked the press not to.” I tell her, annoyed that someone would stoop to this for a story.

 

“You will if you let me run the story I want to instead of the one I almost did.” She tells me. 

 

“What were you planning?” Carl asks her.

 

“After listening to that guy.” She points at Michael. “I felt like all this was really a way to get Drew Boyd out of his scandal. After listening to Mr Kinney though, I realized the scandal started this, but in the end it was wanting to give kids whose lives are uncertain a way to help themselves. I also want to say I hope that someday I meet someone who loves me the way you seem to love your husband. I want to run the story, but I can’t if you won’t let me.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll only let you if your paper will distribute flyers around about the center to kids we might not have gotten to.” I tell her.

 

“You have a deal.” She tells me, running out the door.

 

“Nancy’s honest in her writing, so you don’t have to worry about her twisting anything you said.” Carl tells me.

 

“Have Deb stand next to Michael, because the last thing we need is me having to chase down actual kids.” I tell him.

 

“Not to worry, Danny and Deb are taking shifts, and if he screws up again I’ll take him home.” Carl tells me.

 

We went outside when Drew was unveiling the name of the Center. I held Justin as he seemed to be at a loss at my present to him.

 

THE PITTSBURG GAZETTE

 

Yesterday was the opening of ‘Justin’s Heart’, a center for the children who live on our streets. When I dressed up for my role as street kid, I was really expecting the center to be a publicity stunt. I was able to walk around and see that these people weren’t there to hand out a blanket and a plate of food for a day, but to give these kids a real chance at a better life. At the dedication you could see the surprise when they unveiled the name of the center, which was named for Mr. Kinney’s husband, Justin. 

 

When I first walked around, the atmosphere seemed like any other charity. Decorations, food, and the organizers serving food and drinks. In most cases the press is in the building showing the organizers in a positive light. In this case, we were not invited in and it left me believing that once again we have people who didn’t want to dedicate more than a day to a cause. One person left me with the impression that the center were elitists, who looked down on these kids they wanted to help. It was actually Kinnetik’s owner who changed my mind. He explained that how watching his husband’s pain made him open his eyes to the kids who end up on our streets. That in order to help both his husband and the kids, the center was born.

 

It’s was not a way to kill a scandal, but a way to help the kids who need it the most. I applaud the center for not becoming another charity being used to offset bad press for the famous.

 

 


Chapter 40 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

I read the paper that Carl put in front of me this morning. He had asked me to meet him at his office because he wanted me to talk to me.

 

“Do you know that what you said almost caused a reporter to write an article slamming the center?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t mean it the way it came out.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, it wouldn’t have mattered when the center got bad press. Don’t you see that it’s offering kids that usually end up in one of my cells for doing things out of desperation, a chance to not end up here.” He tell me.

 

“I came to help, because it was important to Hunter.” I tell him.

 

“Instead, you almost caused the hard work of all the people involved, to look like a joke.” He tells me.

 

“What do you want me to do? Brian fixed it.” I tell him.

 

“Brian didn’t know he was fixing it, so it could have turned out worse. Son, you need to stop letting your mouth run without thinking about how it sounds.” He tell me.

 

I left, pissed at the way he made it my fault. I slammed into my shop and sat behind the counter. Lindsay showed up looking even bigger, and part of me wanted to let her in on the secret I overheard if everyone thinks i have a big mouth. 

 

“Why are you here?” I asked instead.

 

“Sam and I are getting married and I guess I felt that I owed it to you to tell you in person.” She says this like we were really a couple.

 

“Lindsay we weren't in a relationship, so you didn't have to tell me anything.” I tell her, hoping she'd leave.

 

“I want you to take the babies, at least until Brian stops balking at it.” She tells me. 

 

“Lindsay, are you crazy?” I ask. 

 

“Sam's willing to pay you to keep them.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay, you'd have to give me sole custody, and sign all your rights to them away.” I tell her.

 

“Which I will. But when Brian takes them, I want custody back.” She tells me. 

 

“What about Gus and Jenny? I mean if you're leaving wouldn’t it make sense to give Mel full custody so she can take care of things.” I tell her. 

 

“It's just I don’t want to fight her later.” She tells me. 

 

“I'll tell her, I'll leave the Jenny situation alone as long as she doesn’t give you shit later.” I tell her. 

 

“I'll get Sam to have the money for you, when we sign everything.” She tells me, walking out.

 

“Can I ask what that was about?” Hunter asks, coming out of my backroom.

 

“Why are you here?” I ask, happy to see him.

 

“Your part time guy was going to leave the store. He said to tell you he quit.” He tells me. 

 

“Well thanks for staying.” I tell him, hoping he won't ask about Lindsay again.

 

“Dad, what was that about?” He asks me. 

 

“I need to prove to someone, who used to think I was a good person, that he wasn’t wrong.” I tell him. 

 

“I hope it helps Brian see you that way.” He tells me. 

 

“It wasn’t for Brian.” I tell him. 

 

“Ted doesn’t hate you.” He tells me. 

 

“Which makes me lucky, but it isn’t about him, Blake, or even Ben.” I tell him. 

 

“Who?” He asks.

 

“I want my son to see me as someone worth knowing.” I tell him. 

 

JUSTIN

 

When Michael came into my office, I  gave in to my inner brat and threw a tantrum. He watched as I whined, “Why me Lord, I just couldn’t get it up for a girl.” Then stomped around, flailing my arms around my office.

 

“Are you done brat?” He asks, and Jesus it sounded like he was channeling Brian.

 

“Just get whatever stupid plan you have over with.” I tell him, dropping into my chair.

 

“Well the problem is I'm trying not to come up with a stupid plan, so I figured since you're the genius of this family, I'm coming to you.” He tells me.  

 

“Wait, did you just say something nice?” I ask wanting to check if I fell asleep.

 

“Can I just explain?” He asks.

 

“Wait here.” I tell him, running to Daphne’s office.

 

“Hey, am I awake?” I ask.

 

She walks over to me and punches my arm. “Ouch, what the hell?” I ask her.

 

“If it hurts you're awake, now why are you asking me?” She asks.

 

“Michael is in my office and he’s being nice.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll come with you in case we need to prescribe antipsychotics.” She tells me.

 

“So explain away.” I tell him, as Daphne sits next to him checking his pulse.

 

“Lindsay wants me to take the babies. I told her I would.” He tells me.

 

“Michael you need to really think about these babies, they need someone who will want to be a father to them.” Daphne tells him.

 

“I overheard Ted telling Blake that they wanted the babies, I want to help them.” He tells us.

 

“Why?” I ask, because so far he hasn’t cared.

 

“To make up for the crap I’ve been doing. I told her that she had to give me full custody and that she needs to do the same with Gus for Mel.” He tells us.

 

“Did she agree?” I ask.

 

“I think she will if Mel doesn’t have Brian getting custody too. Not that Mel can’t amend it later. I just don’t know if I would have the right to give the babies to Ted and Blake.” He tells us.

 

“Why would she agree to anything?” Daphne asks him.

 

“She thinks that when she wants them back that I’ll help her.” He tells me.

 

“Because you plan to, or because you told her you would, without really planning on following through on it?” Daphne asks him.

 

“I just don’t want her to be able to come back and take the babies and Gus if what I’m doing is illegal.” He tells us.

 

Daphne called Andrew and Mel and explained what Michael told us. Mel told us to wait for her at the office and she would be over. She showed up with Jenny and handed her to Michael.

 

“Michael, if you are given full custody and Lindsay and Sam sign over their rights, you are the father. The only thing is, that you can’t take any money from them. Because then it could be implied that they were sold to you.” She tell him.

 

“Lindsay’s the one who seemed to insist on it. I was just going to say that I didn’t want it.” He tells her.

 

“Are you really planning on giving them to Ted and Blake?” Mel asks.

 

“Yes, but Mel, she seemed like she would give you full custody, but if you add Brian or Justin I think she would pull out of it.” He tells her.

 

“We can do that after you get custody.” I tell her.

 

“Michael, make sure you have a lawyer read over everything before you sign. The money thing sounds like her way of making sure you hold up your end, because she could make it sound like support or extortion.” She tells him.

 

“I can’t really afford a lawyer right now. I’m most likely going to have to sell the house, because I can’t afford it alone.” He tells her.

 

“Would it cause any problems if I paid for the lawyer?” I ask.

 

“No, how the lawyer is paid doesn’t have any bearing on what Michael is doing. It also helps that it’s not benefiting you.” She tells me.

 

“Then find him the best family lawyer you know.” I tell her.

 

Michael and I sat in my office staring at each other. I just couldn’t figure out any real angle for what he was doing.

 

“Why help everyone when you never wanted to before?” I ask him.

 

“My son needs a father he can respect, and I don’t want Jenny to grow up thinking I was one step away from being Jack Kinney.” He tell me.

 

“This isn’t going to change how everyone feels about you.” I tell him, meaning Brian.

 

“I want to be able to like myself again.” He tells me.

 

“Then be sure you follow through, because you never do.” I tell him.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin brought Michael with him to my office. When they sat down and explained everything, I was still skeptical. Granny came with lunch, since the whole family seems to think I’m too skinny.

 

“I got you some spring rolls with sweet chili sauce. You seemed to like that at dinner the other night.” She tells me, and looks curiously at Michael and Justin.

 

“I’m surprised he’s not eating the hot mustard.” Michael tells us.

 

“I’m working up to it, but it’s taken time for me to be able to handle the foods I used to be able to eat.” I tell him, and yes, I’m testing to see what his reaction will be.

 

“I don’t understand.” Michael tells me.

 

“It’s the after-effects of chemo and cancer.” I tell him.

 

Michael blinked and then seemed to be shaking his head before he managed to say anything. “Are you…” He clears his throat. “Are you better?” He asks.

 

“I’m healing, but like Justin said, it’s not something that ends the day the chemo does. I still have a few years before I’m in the clear.” I tell him.

 

“Then eat when they feed you and take care of yourself.” He tells me.

 

“Yes mother.” I tell him.

 

“Granny, why don’t we go bug Grampy?” Justin asks her, and I know he just wants to make it easier on us to talk to each other.

 

“You know, I wanted to hate him.” Michael tells me.

 

“For what?  Having his grandparents love and support, you’ve always had that from Deb. You need to see that not having money wasn’t the worst thing that could happen to you. Justin doesn’t use the money he inherited, but works for what he wants.” I tell him.

 

“I just felt like a loser compared to him.” He tells me.

 

“Which he had nothing to do with.” I tell him.

 

“I’m a work in progress, so maybe give me a flaw so I can feel better?” He tells me smiling.

 

“He keeps feeding me carbs?” I tell him, when nothing comes to mind.

 

“The sacrilege, doesn’t he understand that you crafted that body eating lettuce.” He tells me, laughing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 41 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

We were treading carefully around this new improved Michael. It didn’t make sense to me that he was being helpful. Grampy got wind of what was going on and even he seemed to think it was too big of a change for anyone to be able to make. It was Granny and Deb who decided to invite everyone to Deb's for dinner and see if Michael was really serious.

 

We brought Kayla and Joseph, because if Michael hurt my kids then for me, he was done. I made sure they understood that no one was allowed to hurt to them. 

 

“Why would he hurt us?” Kayla asked. 

 

“Michael doesn’t always think about what he says and how it sounds.” Justin tells her. 

 

“Then he shouldn't say anything without thinking.” Joseph tells me.

 

“Just remember that we believe that you only respect someone if they respect you.” I tell them.

 

When we arrived, Michael was in the kitchen with Carl, talking. He waved at me but stayed where he was. It was definitely a strange dinner when we sat down, because everyone was quiet.

 

“Is everyone thinking before talking?” Joseph asks everyone. 

 

“I think they’re waiting for me to say something.” Michael tells him. 

 

“Just remember that if it sounds bad in your head it’s not going to sound better coming out of your mouth.” Kayla tells him.

 

“You are definitely Brian’s daughter.” Michael tells her. 

 

“Well he adopted me, so yeah I am.” She tells him.

 

“Michael, it’s just hard for any of us to believe that your switching sides.” Blake tells him.

 

“I don’t want to be someone that Hunter points at and says he used to know me.” He tells Blake.

 

“Dad, it’s hard when I watch you do things to hurt people who are important to me.” Hunter tells him.

 

“I was jealous that Justin had all the things that I didn’t, which isn’t a reason for treating you the way I did.” He tells Hunter.

 

“What about Ben?” Hunter asks him.

 

“What happened with Ben is because I screwed it up, and only me.” He tells Hunter.

 

“Talk to him again.” Justin tells him.

 

“I don’t think he wants to hear from me anymore.” Michael tells him.

 

“Then you keep trying until he get’s a restraining order, at that point you know it’s over.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I’m more interested in why Michael is helping.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Emmett, I shouldn’t have done what I did, even though, to me you were wrong for doing what you did. But it doesn’t mean I should have gone and done an interview.” Michael tells him.

 

“I’m not here for an apology, it’s too late for that. I want to know if you're actually planning on helping, or is this some other half-assed plan you and Lindsay cooked up.” Emmett tells him.

 

MICHAEL

 

I knew that I would have to explain why anyone should trust anything I say. It was just hard when a lot of it wasn’t going to sound good at first. I looked over at Justin and I could see he was skeptical but willing to listen to me, so I looked at the man my best friend loves and talked.

 

“I honestly didn’t plan on doing anything to help any of you, but I was fuming at the way Carl talked to me and then Lindsay showed up. When she started talking I kept thinking of a way to use it to screw you over, but then Hunter was standing there and I knew I was either going to be the father I told him I would be, or just a puppet in Lindsay’s game to get to Justin.” I tell them. 

 

“You mean Brian.” Mel tells me.

 

“No I don’t, it stopped being about Brian when she met Justin’s family. She wants to be able to say that Warren Marston is part of her life.” I tell them.

 

“What were you getting out of it?” Warren asks me.

 

“I wanted Danny to regret not being my father.” I tell him.

 

“That wasn’t the way to get my attention.” Danny tell him.

 

“I really don’t need it anymore. My mom is giving me the father I always wanted.” I tell Danny. “When I was listening to Lindsay, I realized Carl wanted me to be a better person, and he cares about me, just as much as he does Ma. So while I started out wanting to use this as something to get back at everyone, in the end I realized that I was risking losing Hunter, Mom, and Carl, who’s my dad.” I tell them.

 

“Then you have my support.” Warren tells me.

 

“I just know that I’ll mess this up, so I need to make sure that I do what Ted and Blake need me to do.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, make sure you're not doing this to apologize, but because you believe in what you're doing.” Helen tells me.

 

“It’s about giving the babies parents who will give them good lives. Ma did that for me.” I tell them.

 

“Thank you.” Ma tells me.

 

“Thank you for never taking the easy road.” I tell her.

 

“I couldn’t, I loved you before I met you.” Ma tells me.

 

“Congratulations, it’s a boy.” Brian tells Carl.

 

JUSTIN

 

Grampy and I went outside to sit on the steps and talk. We’d been so busy that we didn’t spend much time together lately. Michael came outside but turned around when he realized it was just us.

 

“Michael sit down.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I didn’t want to interrupt.” Michael tells him.

 

“Nothing but catching up on Justin’s practice, tell me about the comic store.” He tells me.

 

MICHAEL 

 

“I’m going to go in and make sure Joseph and Gus don’t eat the whole cake.” Justin tells him, kissing his head. Then pats me on the shoulder before going in.

 

“That boy just hates when anyone gets to eat the good stuff.” Warren tells me.

 

“He and Brian should do well together, they eat all the stuff I run from.” I tell him, sitting down.

 

“But they both cheat, they just think we buy that the kids eat all the junk food.” He tells me.

 

“I used to bring all kinds of food Brian swore off when we hung out, which he always ate.” I tell him.

 

“You loved him for a long time didn’t you?” He asks me.

 

“From the day I met him, but I was in love with the myth, not Brian. He always tried to show me that we weren’t anything but friends, but I didn’t want to believe he wouldn’t want me someday.” I tell him.

 

“Why marry Ben if you believed that?” He asked me.

 

“I fell in love with Ben.” I tell him, because it still hurts that Ben is leaving me.

 

“Why are you letting him go?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t want him to have to keep defending me when I do undefendable things. Ben wants to believe the best in me.” I tell him.

 

“You know, I don’t think Ben is the good man you do. He might have good intentions, but a good man is one that wouldn’t have stood by while you did the things you did.” He tells me.

 

“He did it because he loves me.” I defend Ben.

 

“Then he should have told you what you were doing was wrong, not run behind you defending it.” He tells me.

 

“That wasn’t what he was doing.” I tell him.

 

“Michael one of the things you do when you love someone is be honest with them. Ben didn’t like what was happening, but he also didn’t do anything until it became about you using him before he left you. In a way he’s just as selfish as you are.” He tells me.

 

“You can call me anything you like, but do not say shit about Ben.” I tell him, getting angry that he was judging Ben.

 

“If you love him, why are you letting him leave you?” He asks me, smiling.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“Do you think I would be sitting here if my darling wife, who I’ve love since the day I met her, was leaving me. I would be begging on my knees to keep her.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know if he would care anymore.” I tell him.

 

“You won’t if you don’t try, but before you do, remember that no matter how hard it will be to repair the damage, it’s up to you to not give up.” He tells me.

 

“I think I need to go, can you tell Ma?” I ask him.

 

BRIAN

 

I listened to Grampy. When Michael left I came outside and sat down next to him.

 

“Really, you know Ben is the one everyone views as the anti-me.” I tell him.

 

“Which means that he doesn’t understand what’s important in the world.” He tells me.

 

“He likes to be indecisive, not my thing.” I tell him.

 

“Which is why Michael and he have problems, neither of them can make a decision. I could see them starving to death because they would be asking each other over and over what the other wanted.” He tells me.

 

“When it comes to food, Michael will make the wrong choice every time, and Ben will make something that scares Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Then they're perfect for each other.” He tells me.

 

“You just want the happily ever after to every story.” I tell him.

 

“Of course, it was always my favorite part of the stories that I read Justin and Molly.” He tell me.

 

“Maybe you should be reading it to Kayla, Joseph, and Gus.” I tell him.

 

“I’d be honored.” He tells me putting his arm around me. 

 

I leaned on him and knew this is what a real father was like. No fists but strong shoulders to lean on when you need them. So I didn’t fight that he was offering to be there for me.

 

“I want you to know you are someone any father would be proud of and you're going to give your kids a life to be proud of.” He tells me.

 

“When I grow up I want to be you.” I whisper to him.

 

“You already are son.” Grampy tells me.

 

 

Chapter 42 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

It took a few weeks for Lindsay to call and tell me it was time to get everything done. When I walked in with my lawyer, Nancy, I know Lindsay wasn’t expecting it. Nancy told me that anything they asked to wait for her to nod before answering. Nancy introduced herself and me to Sam’s lawyer, Malcolm.

 

“Michael why did you bring a lawyer? Sam’s could explain anything you didn’t understand.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I’m here to make sure Mr. Novotny doesn’t sign anything without counsel.” Nancy tells her. 

 

“Michael already knows what we were doing.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Why the hell does it matter if he brought someone Lindsay?” Sam asks her.

 

“I just don’t understand why he felt the need, when we already agreed about this.” She tells him.

 

“Can I see the what your asking my client to sign?” She asks Malcolm.

 

We sat down while she went over the documents, I watched as she wrote notes while going through the paperwork. When she was done she looked to Sam’s lawyer.

 

“In giving up their rights to the babies I don’t see why there is a clause saying that Mr. Novotny has to inform them of anything in regards to the children.” She asks.

 

“Why would we care what he does with the kids?” Sam asked, looking at Lindsay and Malcolm

 

“Ms. Peterson asked to have it put in there.” Malcolm told him.

 

“Lindsay, we aren’t going to have time to worry about Michael and the kids. Just take that out, since there’s no reason for it.” Sam tells Malcolm.

 

“Mr Novotny also isn’t requesting payment for the children, so we don’t need that in here either. It’s too close to the idea that Mr Novotny was paid to take the children, when you both are signing away all your rights to them because you feel Mr Novotny could take care of them without help. Also, why is there a clause that Ms Peterson can request to have the children at her discretion?” Nancy asks them.

 

“Malcolm, care to answer that?” Sam asks, not looking happy.

 

“Sam, she wanted these things in the documents.” Malcolm told him.

 

“Which, when you give up your rights to your children means exactly that, you no longer get to dictate what happens in their lives. It sounds as if Ms Peterson doesn’t want to give up her children, and if that’s true maybe the parents need to reconsider, because once Mr Novotny signs anything, the children are his to do with as he wishes.” Nancy tell them.

 

“If Ms Peterson feels that way then I don’t see any reason to go any further with our plans.” Sam tells Lindsay.

 

“Sam, I just wanted to know about our children. It’s not like I expected us to take them.” She tells him.

 

“The way this reads, it sounds as if Mr. Novotny would be expected to allow you complete access to the children that he will be sole guardian over. My client was under the impression that once you gave birth you would no longer be a part of the children’s lives in any capacity.” Nancy tell them.

 

“Michael and I will always be friends, so eventually I will see him, and I hope, my children.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“They wouldn’t be yours anymore. Are you sure you want to give them up Ms Peterson, because this last part where you're requesting that Mr. Novotny would give custody back if he decided that he couldn’t take care of the children, sounds to me like you don’t want this.” Nancy tells her.

 

“Lindsay, if you want the babies then there’s no reason for us to get married.” Sam tells her.

 

“I told you I didn’t, but Sam, I would rather us be able to place them than make Michael have to take on that responsibility.” She tells him.

 

“Why? I already told you, once you have them we have no reason to bother with them ever again.” He tells her.

 

“It’s fine, I know Michael understands exactly what I want.” She tells Malcolm.

 

“Give me a minute to take out those sections, and are you sure about not receiving funds from Mr. Auerbach?” He asks Nancy and me.

 

“It’s more along the lines of support and we don’t want to muddy the waters with the idea that two parents who are giving up any rights, have been supporting the children. There are too many cases where the father or mother gave up their rights but the other parents were still asking for money. I just don’t feel my client needs that kind of issue to pop up if either of your clients suddenly want the children back.” She tells him. I nod in agreement.

 

I got up to go to the bathroom while Malcolm went to change the paperwork. All I could think was that I would have just signed without realizing what Lindsay put in that contract. Sam walked in while I was washing my hands. 

 

“I don’t want the kids, but I do want Lindsay. Do me a favor and hang up if she calls you. With time, I’ll have her so busy with my life that she won’t care any more about these kids or that other one.” He tells me, making me want to puke at the way he views the kids.

 

“Why didn’t you prevent them in the first place?” I ask.

 

“I thought I did, but there were a few times when we weren’t thinking.” He tells me.

 

“That’s how you get children.” I tell him.

 

“I’m a selfish prick who only cares for what I want, I don’t make excuses for it, it’s a fact. Lindsay knows that and she seems to love that about me. At least I’m not trying to drag kids into a life where they aren’t wanted, give me that much credit.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll give you some advice on the woman you're marrying, make sure you can't have any more, because if she can, you might become a father again, only I won’t be there to take care of the next Auerbach mistake.” I tell him.

 

“Not to worry, that was something your friend suggested, and I’m seeing the merit in the idea. That way I won’t end up with surprise babies from anyone else.” He tells me, washing his hands.

 

When we walked out I could see Lindsay was frustrated that she couldn’t get me alone, but I made myself the promise that I wasn’t going to fall into any of her shit. Nancy was waiting at the doorway for me to get back. At first, when Warren told Nancy not to let Lindsay see me alone I wanted to tell them that I could handle it, but Warren reminded me that I played fiance to Lindsay when I should have realized that no one would believe it. 

 

When the new documents came back in the room. Nancy went back through and reread it to make sure there weren’t any more things that she didn’t want in there. She looked up at Lindsay and Malcolm.

 

“I thought we already said ‘no’ to any form of payment.” She tells them.

 

“We did, why are you asking?” Sam tells her, looking unhappy at Lindsay.

 

“Sam, I just wanted Michael not to have to worry about how to pay for his house. I had Malcolm add that you would pay off the mortgage.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Which I can do without it being put in the agreement. Can we get the changes they want done, so we can get out of here?” Sam tells Malcolm, who I think was prepared for this.

 

This time Nancy finished and handed me the pen to sign. While I was, she was asking Sam and Lindsay when the babies were due.

 

“The doctor told us they could deliver them next month.” Lindsay tells us, staring at the papers she needed to sign.

 

“Lindsay, we need to go, so can you sign the shit.” Sam tells her.

 

Lindsay signed the paperwork and shoved them to Malcolm. When we were leaving, Sam asked me to stay for a minute and told everyone to leave. 

 

“Michael, I already had your house paid off, not as payment for doing this, but as a thank you for doing what I can’t for the kids.” He tells me.

 

I couldn’t lie to him. “I plan to give the babies to the people Brian and Warren told you about.” I tell him.

 

“As long as they have a good life and you always look out for them, then I’ll make sure Lindsay doesn’t cause any problems.” He tell me.

 

“How could you still want her when you seem to know what kind of person she is?” I ask him.

 

“Michael, love isn’t rational, it just is. Sometimes you love a person that causes everyone to think that you're nuts to put up with that person, but like I said, there’s nothing rational about it. Of course I tend to fall in love at the drop of hat sometimes, so maybe people are really talking about me.” He tells me.

 

“Good luck with her. You need to make sure she doesn’t try to give Mel shit about Gus. Just like these babies, Gus needs a stable home, and Mel is going to give it to him.” I tell him.

 

“That’s where we are headed next, I already called Mel to tell her to have anything Lindsay needs to sign done. We are going to stay in New York until she has the kids, and I have a ticket for you and two others to come and get the children. I plan to take Lindsay to my place in Paris after she delivers so she won’t be here to cause problems. Tell Ted and Blake to love the kids for both of us.” He whispered the last part before opening the door and walking out.

 

“Anything I need to know?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“Not a thing darling, just letting Michael know where to come to get these babies.” Sam tells her, taking her arm and pulling her away from me. 

 

MEL

 

Brian and I sat waiting for Sam and Lindsay to show up. I was really surprised by Sam’s call and when he asked that Brian be at my office too, I didn’t know what was going to happen. Lindsay arrived looking unhappy, but trying to pretend that she was thrilled to be on Sam’s arm. Brian was on the phone with Justin and ignoring her.

 

“Brian and I are here, what did you need Sam?” I asked.

 

“I felt with Lindsay and I staying in New York for the next month that it was time to get everything settled in Lindsay’s life.” He tells me.

 

“I thought she was giving Michael the kids?” Brian tells him, hanging up the phone.

 

“We took care of that this morning, I’m here about Gus.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I’m not going to say yes to you taking Gus in New York when you can’t take care of him, especially while being in the last month of pregnancy.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay and I already talked about that not being a good idea. What we came to talk about was that Lindsay wanted to make sure that Gus was taken care of while she can't be here.” Sam tells me. 

 

“So what did you and Lindsay decide?” I ask. 

 

“You and Brian should share custody so Gus still has two parents.” Sam tells me.

 

“What’s Lindsay role, because Gus loves her and I need to know how to prepare him for whatever she plans.” I tell him. 

 

“I still want Gus in my life, but I'll be traveling with Sam, so it's not always going to be possible for me to be there for him. You and Brian will be there to make up for me not being there.” She tells me, as if it's that easy to walk away.

 

“You think you can just pop in and out of Gus’s life, treating him like he should be grateful for you still remembering you had him.” Brian asks, getting worked up.

 

“I'll make sure he knows I still love him.” She tells him, crying.

 

“The way your parents made sure you did?” He asks sarcastically.

 

“It won't be like that.” She tells him. 

 

“Then how will it be, since you'll be so busy with your new life, which doesn't include any of your children?” I ask.  

 

“Lindsay is willing to give up her rights to Gus, but she wants the right to still contact him as long as he wants contact with her.” Sam tells us. 

 

“Will she be willing to sign today? I can have my partner in this firm act as my attorney. You can have an attorney present too. It's going to take a little time to get the paperwork ready.” I tell him. 

 

“We can wait, and we trust you to look a out for Gus’s best interest. We would like to take Gus today, so Lindsay can explain to him what's going on, it shouldn't have to be you or Brian doing it.” Sam tells me. 

 

“I don’t see a problem with that, do you Brian?” I ask. 

 

“No, but make sure he understands you still love him.” Brian tells Lindsay.

 

“I will.” She tells him, defeated.

 

I went to Ron’s office and told him the amendment to make to the documents we already had. When I came out, Lindsay was standing there waiting.

 

“I wish…” She just stood there as if she didn't know what to say.

 

“I'm sure, but nothing changes what you did, so answer when Gus calls and make sure he knows you care, that's the only thing you could do now that matters.” I tell her. 

 

BRIAN 

 

I sat waiting with Sam. He looked at the paintings on the wall before sitting across from me. 

 

“Can you do me a favor?” He asks. 

 

“Depending on what it is, possibly.” I tell him. 

 

“Tell Warren I did what he asked.” He tells me.

 

Before I could say anything, Mel and Ron came in with Lindsay and everything ready to sign. Lindsay signed it without a word. Sam sat sketching, then as he was leaving, tore off the sheet and handed it to Mel. When he left with Lindsay I looked to see what he had given her. It was a picture of her holding Gus.

 

“You looked beautiful when I saw you in this moment, Sam” 

 

“It's the night she introduced Sam to me. I was singing Gus to sleep.” Mel tells me. 

 

“Mel, it's every night for Gus.” I tell her, hugging her as she cried for end of her family. “We'll make sure Gus doesn’t feel it.” I tell her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 43 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I went to Justin’s office when someone seemed to be anywhere but Kinnetik lately. When I got there Daphne was standing at the front looking at her schedule.

 

“Justin busy?” I asked. 

 

“Grampy’s in there but otherwise no, he's free right now.” She tells me. 

 

“I think I’ll surprise them both.” I tell her walking to Justin's office.

 

“I’ll talk to Brian, but I don’t see a problem with you having Kayla and Joseph for the night. All you had to do was call.” Justin was saying as I walked in.

 

“I know, but I also wanted to see you.” The sneaky old codger tells him.

 

“Grampy, you’ve spent all day here, and don’t get me wrong, but why does it seem like you're hiding out?” Justin asks, looking up to see me leaning against the door. “Grampy what did you do?” He asked, when I shook my head to let him know not to let Grampy know I was standing here.

 

“Not a thing, just wanted to watch you work.” He tells him.

 

“So you didn’t have anything to do with Sam helping get Lindsay to give us all what we wanted?” I ask, and smirk when he jumps in his chair.

 

“You know, I think I should go see Granny.” He tells Justin.

 

“Why not explain to Brian and me exactly why he asked you that question?” Justin tells him, shaking his head when Grampy tries to get up. “I’ll call Granny and ask, if you don’t answer.” Justin tells him.

 

“You know, I always taught you that when you want answers to smooth your way in, not call in the troops.” He tells Justin, sitting back down.

 

“I didn’t say Mom, because you know she would be worse than Granny.” He tells Grampy. “So what did you do?” Justin asks, as if he’s the parent.

 

“I didn’t pay him if that is what you think. I just explained that if he was really as in love as he thinks that he should get her attention. Sam’s rich enough, but he likes the fame and the fawning over the chasing.” He tells us.

 

“Thank you for a lesson on who Sam is, but why did he want me to tell you he did what you wanted?” I ask, sitting next to  him.

 

“I might have been at the restaurant he was eating at and possibly had lunch with him.” Grampy hedging is a new one.

 

“Which means you called him and told him to be there, go on.” Justin tells him.

 

“He was frustrated with Lindsay being wishy washy about the whole thing with the babies and Gus. So I mentioned that she might act like she likes being in charge, but the people she seems to go around are more take charge. He really believes he loves Lindsay, so I told him to stop letting her tell him anything and take charge of her.” He tells us.

 

“Sam loves himself, Lindsay’s just the latest muse.” I tell him.

 

“Which I’m sure she enjoys, regardless of how short lived that life could be. Trust me, she’ll latch on to someone new when Sam isn’t giving her what she wants. I couldn’t stand by when Sam was starting to think having the kids around to amuse Lindsay sounded like a great idea to him. Trust me, it wasn’t because he wanted any fatherly role, but so that if he wanted to take off, she would be busy. I told him, set her up in a studio in Paris and make sure she’s surrounded by people she always wanted to be surrounded by, the elite. Then she won’t care what he’s doing. The only thing I really did beyond that was explain that if my Great Grandson got caught in one of Lindsay’s games to keep Mel and Brian on a tether, then I’d make sure Sam has a harder time getting shows in most of the major galleries in the cities where I do business.” He tells us.

 

“You threatened him?” Justin ask appalled.

 

“No, I negotiate with people, I tell idiots like him how it will be, that’s not threatening, it’s informing.” Grampy tells him.

 

“It worked, he wanted me to let you know he did what you wanted.” I tell him, not caring how, but just happy Lindsay was gone.

 

“I know, Mikey called and told me.” He tells us.

 

“Mikey?” I ask.

 

“He told me that when I say Michael it sounds like I’m about to scold him so we settled on Mikey.” He tells us.

 

“That’s all you did?” Justin asks, like he didn’t believe him.

 

“Justin, I’m your elder. You shouldn’t question me.” He tells Justin.

 

“Which just means your old, not that I don’t question you.” Justin smirks.

 

“Where is the respect I get for all the things I did for you?” Grampy asks.

 

“I figured I’d use the approach of not letting you evade the answer.” Justin tells him.

 

“He just understands that if Lindsay becomes a problem, that he will have one with me. Which is all you ever need to know.” Grampy tells us.

 

“Lindsay wants to talk to Gus today.” I tell Justin.

 

“Why?” He asks me.

 

“To explain to Gus why Mommy is leaving, since Sam seems to think that Lindsay should be the one to tell him.” I tell them, worried about what she would say to Gus.

 

“Brian, she needs to be the one, so Gus never has to wonder if you or Mel made her leave. Sam isn’t going to let her say anything but that she’s doing what she wants, not that you or Mel are making it hard for her to see him. It’s what she apparently told Sam, who mentioned it to me. It’s one of the reasons I thought we should take Kayla and Joseph tonight, so that you and Brian could be there for Gus. I know he loves his sisters and brother, but he needs his parents undivided attention tonight, because there is just no way he’s going to understand what Lindsay is doing. We as his family, need to do what Gus needs.” Grampy tells us.

 

“Who’s taking Jenny?” I ask.

 

“Mikey and Hunter are going to pick her up.” Grampy tells us.

 

“He really means well Brian.” Justin tells me, when I rubbed my hands over my face.

 

“You know she’s most likely not coming back don’t you?” I ask Grampy.

 

“I know that people can change, but they have to want to, and she just isn’t capable of letting anything be more important than what she believes are her rights. You might still wish your mother accepted and loved the man you are, but you don’t sit around trying to make her happy. Lindsay is still trying to figure out how to win the approval of two people who shouldn’t have had children anymore than she should. I think she’ll return, but only to tell Gus the wonderful things that she’s been doing and how it’s more important than sticking around and seeing what Gus will become one day. I also think he needs to see his mother for who she is, but understand that he can love her, but it’s okay because he has an entire family to always let him know he’s important. She’s never going to be able to fool that kid, because he sees what you and Mel do and Lindsay just won’t come out looking like she’s anything more than Craig will ever be to Justin.” He tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

I got to the house and looked around at it, I own my home. I own a home that could have belonged to Ben and I, if I hadn’t treated our marriage so carelessly. I called Ben to meet me, because we need to make the decision together on what to do with the house. Most likely the last decision we’ll ever really make together. I watched as he opened the door and came in like he’s done so many times in the past.

 

“What did you need?” He asks, not sitting down.

 

“Sam Auerbach paid the house off.” I tell him.

 

“So you and Lindsay are bleeding Sam to get what you want. What did you have to do to get him to pay the house off?” He asks.

 

“Take custody of the babies.” I tell him.

 

“ You’re going to screw up two babies lives to help your ex.” He tells me, turning to walk out.

 

“No. I’m helping Ted and Blake be able to adopt the babies without Lindsay being able to give them shit.” I tell him.

 

“And what, you get a house for your kindness?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t ask for anything, I think even though Sam doesn’t want the babies he wanted them to go to a good home. So I think he felt like it was a thank you for me promising to always make sure they’re okay. I didn’t call you here to do anything but talk about what you wanted to do with the house. It’s really yours, because you paid for most of it.” I tell him.

 

“We can set a plan where you pay off what you owe.” He tells me.

 

“Or I could sell the house so you don’t have to deal with me anymore.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, we’ll always have Hunter between us. I heard you and Hunter have been talking more.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“I had to decide if I wanted to become a man who couldn’t keep my promises. Hunter’s worth more than that to me.” I tell him.

 

“At least we finally got that right.” He tells me. 

 

“Not completely, but I'm working on it. Carl's really been helping me with it.” I tell him. 

 

“Is Danny helping?” He asks. 

 

“He's willing to get to know me, but like I told him, Carl’s the father who wants the job. He understands me in a way Danny never will, but it would be great to at least be friends with my birth father.” I tell him. 

 

“I hope it works for you.” He tells me. 

 

“Sam told me love isn’t logical, it just is, do you believe that?” I ask. 

 

“I must, since I married a man who was still in love with someone else.” He tells me. 

 

“You’re right, you did marry someone who was in love with someone else, but you're going to leave a man who realizes he never understood love, and misplaced it on someone who was only ever a fantasy. Before you leave I want you to know that I figured out that real love is when a person loves you despite your flaws. That I found out that I married the man I love, because whether you can believe it or not, I love you more than I thought I could love anybody, including myself.” I tell him. 

 

“I wish I could believe you, because it's all I wanted.” He tells me. 

 

“Then let me visit you, in a new town. Let us see if we can rebuild your belief in me.” I tell him. 

 

“You aren’t the only one who messed this up Michael.” He tells me. 

 

“I didn’t do anything to help it either. I figured I just stalk you. Well, until you get a restraining order, then I'll love you from five hundred feet away.” I tell him. 

 

“I'd make it a thousand.” He tells me smiling.

 

“I can work with it.” I tell him. 

 

“Then call me when you want to visit.” He tells me. 

 

He wrapped his arms around me, and I knew this was worth fighting for. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 44 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Thank you for reading this and letting me know I wasn't boring you to tears. I appreciate ever person who spent their time reading.

JUSTIN

 

We got to Mel’s as Lindsay and Sam were leaving. Lindsay looked like a tragic Madonna, tears streaming down her cheeks. She put her arms around Brian, but must have noticed the lack of response, because she backed up, looking puzzled at him not doing anything.

 

“Brian…”

 

“Excuse me, I need to see if my son with Mel is okay.” He tells them, walking past her.

 

“I didn’t ever want to hurt them.” She tells me.

 

“Who? Because there are so many people on that list, it's hard to figure out who you mean anymore.” I tell her.

 

“No one understands the stress I'm under. I had to pick a life that would make me happy.” She tells me.

 

“Then go be happy, but don't ever come back expecting anyone to want you around. Before you leave, do one thing for me.” I tell her.

 

“Anything, I want us to be close.” She tells me.

 

“I don’t want anything to do with you. I just wanted you to take care of yourself so these two children have a healthy start in life.” I tell her, walking into the house.

 

Mel was sitting next to Brian, watching Gus play on the floor. Brian slid down on the floor next to him and played with one of his cars. Gus kept crashing them into each other but not saying anything to Brian.

 

“Anybody want a drink?” Mel asks.

 

“I'll help you.” Brian tells her.

 

They both went to the kitchen, most likely so Brian could ask what happened. I sat across from Gus letting him continue the demolition derby.

 

“Do you miss your daddy?” Gus asks.

 

“Sometimes, but it's hard when he couldn’t be happy with the way I lived my life.” I tell him.

 

“Do you think he still loves you?” He asks sniffing.

 

“In his way he does, just not the way I wish he did.” I tell him.

 

“Does it hurt that…”

 

Suddenly I had a crying Gus in my lap. I held him and let him cry.

 

“Yes, Gussy it hurts, but not always, and one day you realize it had nothing to do with you, some people just don't love the way you do.” I whisper.

 

“Like the way I love you?” He asks.

 

“Yes, and the way Mama, Daddy, and I love you for being the best little boy we could have.” I tell him.

 

“Forever and always?” He asks.

 

“There will never be a time we don't.” I tell him, crying.

 

BRIAN

 

“Are you okay?” I ask Mel.

 

“I'm still trying to understand how she could walk in as if Gus should be thrilled she's leaving him.” She tells me.

 

“What did she say to him?” I ask.

 

“It was all about her, and how she was going to be traveling to all the places she's always wanted to go, and how for him, it will be hearing new exciting things from her. Nothing about hating to leave him or when she'll call or visit.” She tells me.

 

“Do you think he understands that she's leaving him?” I ask.

 

“Brian, he just hugged her then started smashing cars together. He hasn't had time to ask anything. I don't know how he's feeling because he hasn't even looked up from his cars.” She tells me.

 

“We'll stay until he's ready.” I tell her, walking back into the living room to find Gus in Justin’s arms, the two of them crying. I sat down behind Justin and wrapped my arms around both of them. Mel sat next to us and I put my arm around her too.

 

Gus cried himself to sleep in our arms. I laid down with him and held him, hoping to ease the pain my son should never have felt. Justin sat with Mel to give me time alone with my son. When Gus woke up a couple of hours later, I could see that for a second he forgot what was happening but then his face crinkled and he laid back down, pulling my arms around him.

 

“Daddy, I love you.” He whispers.

 

“I know sonny boy, and I will always love you and always be there when you need me.” I tell him.

 

“Why does mommy have to go?” He asks.

 

“She didn’t know how to stay.” I tell him.

 

“She said she wanted new things. Was it because I'm not new like the babies?” He asks.

 

“Gus it wasn’t you or the babies, mommy just doesn’t know how to be her anymore. Remember that it wasn't you, that you didn’t do anything to make her go.” I tell him.

 

“She said she'd call, do you think she will?” He asks.

 

“Mama and I will make sure she does, if you want to talk to her.” I tell him.

 

“You promise?” He asks.

 

“As long as you want it, I promise.” I tell him.

 

“Can we just stay here for a while, I'm not ready to get up.” Gus tells me putting his head on my chest.

 

“Whatever you need Sonny Boy.” I tell him, wrapping my arms around him.

 

When Gus was down for the night, Mel asked us to let her have some time alone with him. She wanted to show him she was always going to be the mother Lindsay should have been. As we left, I heard her singing to him.

 

It took a while before Gus seemed to be his normal, happy self. The family made sure that when he asked questions we answered in a way that we didn't make Lindsay sound bad, it wasn’t easy, but he still loved her and we accepted he always would.

 

When Sam called to tell Michael to come, we all prepared Gus for meeting the babies that changed his world. I was proud when he told us he'd help them not miss their mommy.

 

So the whole family went to the airport to meet Helen Deborah and Warren Michael, who slept through the loud family greetings. Michael stayed long enough to dump all the bags on us and took off for his first visit to see Ben. Which he announced loudly to anyone he walked by.

 

Grampy took Warren the second in his arms and showed off his namesake to anyone standing near. When he held Helen, Grampy melted, and it was a sight to see the King of Industry fall in love with the tiny life in his arms.

 

Justin laughed when he told Ted it was time to start calling him Grampy, since the babies would need to use the name, and Blake had a bag ready for Ted to breathe into. Of course Ted got over it when Grampy tried to take the babies with him. Then ‘Grampy’ was used to try to stop him from taking off with Ted’s babies.

 

“Grampy, I have my car ready for the babies, which is how they are getting home.” He tells Grampy, not letting him argue.

 

“Ted my boy, they need time to bond with me, I won’t be here forever.” Grampy guilted.

 

“You’ll outlive us all Grampy, just so you can shape the future generations.” Blake tells him, taking Helen.

 

“I have plans and I just want to make sure all my grandkids know their roles.” He tells Ted, as he hands over Warren Jr.

 

“How about we wait for them to talk before they take over the world with you.” Ted tells him.

 

“Kayla, tell them they need to help me.” Grampy tells her.

 

“I already agreed to help you with your next plan Grampy.” She tells him, dragging him to the car.

 

“Wait, what did you plan with my daughter?” Justin yells, as he takes off after them.

 

“Dad, you should know that Grampy always has a plan for something.” Gus yells, as he and Joseph run after them.

 

“Well Brian, shall we behave like adults?” Granny asks me.

 

“Someone has too.” Deb tells us.

 

“Why? We always said we wanted to be forever young.” Emmett tells them, skipping off with Drew following.

 

“I’ll never understand the skipping.” I tell Granny.

 

“He’s just being Emmett.” Carl tells me.

 

Justin and I let the kids stay with Grampy, who was still pouting because Ted and Blake wanted to spend their first night with the babies alone. They let Grampy tell them a bedtime story, and we all listened to the story of Grampy and Granny, ‘the ultimate love story’ according to him. How he turned being almost knocked over and deciding to marry said trippy a month later, into the ultimate love story, was seriously lacking in the excitement department to me.

 

“I’ve been with my Darling Girl for forty years, so top that.” He tells me.

 

“I will, in thirty six.” I tell him.

 

On our forty-first wedding anniversary, surrounded by our children and their husbands and wives, I married my doctor again, and this time he remembered the entire event.












This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=871