24 by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

A special story done in the style of '24' the television series. As the Sunshine Files family celebrates Molly's wedding, Thyme and Sabina celebrate 24 months of our writing partnership with our 24th story.

Story #24 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 29996 Read: 47834 Published: Feb 20, 2017 Updated: Feb 20, 2017

1. Chapter 1 - 10:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 - 11:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 - 12:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 - 1:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 - 2:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 - 3:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 - 4:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 - 5:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 - 6:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 - 7:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 - 8:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 - 9:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 - 10:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 - 11:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 - 12:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 - 1:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 - 2:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 - 3:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

19. Chapter 19 - 4:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

20. Chapter 20 - 5:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

21. Chapter 21 - 6:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

22. Chapter 22 - 7:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

23. Chapter 23 - 8:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

24. Chapter 24 - 9:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 - 10:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine




10:06:00

"Molly, sweetheart, the flowers just arrived. Would you like to see them before I put them in the refrigerator?" Jennifer asked with hope in her voice. In twenty-four hours, Justin would be escorting Molly down the aisle. At least that's what Jennifer and the rest of the family were praying for. If it was left up to Molly, at this juncture, Molly and Owen would be on a plane to Vegas for an 'Elvis' wedding. Molly had had enough.

"NO!" Molly yelled through the closed door.

"Honey, please come out. You haven't eaten breakfast and you barely ate dinner last night," Jennifer pleaded at the closed door.

"NO!" was Molly's only response.

"Please, honey."

"What part of NO, do you not understand! I am not coming out...EVER!"

Jennifer heard Molly kick something then throw herself onto her bed. Jennifer then heard her daughter's quiet sobs.

"All right, sweetheart," Jennifer said softly at her daughter's bedroom door. "I'll check on you later."

10:08:25

"Justin?"

"Mom? What's wrong?" Brian, Justin and Bree had come into Pittsburgh for the wedding. They decided to stay at the loft Friday night so that they would be well rested for the main event the following day. They'd go back to the cottage on Sunday.

"It's your sister. She won't come out of her room."

"Pre-wedding jitters? Isn't that normal?"

"Did you have pre-wedding jitters, Justin?"

"Um, no. I was more worried that Brian would change his mind and go fuck a waiter in the backroom."

"Justin!" Jennifer couldn't believe what she just heard.

"Mom."

"But Justin, honey, Brian loves you."

"I know that, Mom. I've always known that but sometimes I was stupid and didn't appreciate what I had, back then. Deep down I knew Brian would follow through on his commitment and he still does. He's never lied to me but I've let him down hundreds of times. It would have served me right if he backed out."

"But he didn't."

"No, he didn't. He took charge and orchestrated everything to give me the perfect wedding. He knows me so well, better than I know myself. It was a night I'll never forget for the rest of my life."

"Damn!"

"Huh?"

"Oh no, not you, sweetheart...Molly."

"I don't understand."

"You said it yourself. Brian knew what you'd like. He knew what and how to make your wedding perfect for you. He took charge and he made it happen because he was thinking of you and only you. Not like the rest of us. All we've been thinking of is how to make this the social event of the year. You should see the list of ushers and bridesmaids. Molly doesn't know half of them. They're mostly who Sharon picked out because she couldn't insult anyone. If we had listened to Molly, it would have only been her best friend Joanne, and Katerina. And poor Owen! He tries so hard to help keep the peace. That's not how it should be. Molly knew exactly how she wanted her wedding to be and Emmett was ready, willing and able to oblige. Instead we have this humongous event and now your sister is in her room crying. She won't come out and she hasn't eaten a thing since yesterday afternoon. Instead of seeing them off on their honeymoon, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw them taking Molly to the hospital for malnutrition."

"Mom! You're exaggerating!"

"Maybe, but not about her crying. Justin, she won't come out of her room."

"You want me to talk to her?"

"Can you, honey? Maybe she'll listen to you."

"Okay, we'll be over in about twenty minutes."

"Thank you, honey."

"Bye." Justin hung up the phone and hung his head.

"That bad," Brian said as he came up from behind Justin and wrapped his arms around the smaller man.

"Bad enough. How much did you hear?"

"Not much, only from the part where you thought you let me down hundreds of times. And it's not true. I wasn't strong enough or grown up enough to live up to your expectations."

"No, Bri, I was wrong to have expected you to change into what I thought my perfect man should be. I was wrong to try to make you fit my fantasy. We both needed time to grow up."

"And now?"

"Now I've grown up enough to know that perfection is a myth. I don't need it or want it. I want us, just the way we are, flaws and all, because if it was all perfect it would be boring as all hell. And living with you is never boring, and always filled with love."

"Justin Taylor, I do love you. I know I don't say it as often as I should..."

"Brian, if I never hear it again from you, it wouldn't matter. The words don't matter because your actions have always spoken louder than your words. Sometimes I'm just too stubborn to realize it."

"Maybe Molly is just as stubborn. She is a Taylor, after all."

"I need to go over there and see if I can fix this."

"Can you take Bree? I have a few things to do. It would go a little faster if I was by myself." Justin nodded his consent.

"You gonna brown up for me?" Justin asked with a suggestive leer.

"You like it when I do, doncha?" Brian waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh yeah," Justin said waggling his own eyebrows.

The lovers kissed then held onto each other, slightly preoccupied with their own memories of their past indiscretions. Silently vowing to never knowingly cause the other pain, they reluctantly broke their embrace. If Justin couldn't convince his sister to come out of her room, there would be no wedding. Justin bundled himself and Bree up in their heavy coats and went to visit Jennifer and Molly.

10:16:30

As Justin sat in the front seat of the Cherokee letting the engine warm up, Bree was securely strapped into her car seat in the back. Justin could hear her lecturing Muñequita regarding her responsibility of keeping her Dada company as Bree performed her 'job' as flower girl at Molly's wedding. Justin pulled out his cell phone.

"Susan?"

"Hi Justin, all set for tomorrow?"

"Um, not quite. Are you busy right now?"

"No, not really. Why?"

"Can I drop Bree off at your house for a while? Molly is having a bit of a crisis and my Mom is freaking out."

"Tell me about it! Emmett's been here and gone. He's about to return the deposit and order pizza from every pizzeria in Pittsburgh. Please Justin, do something!"

"I'll be right over," Justin said with a very big sigh. With less than twenty-four hours to go, the wedding was becoming a disaster.

10:27:13

"Hi, Gamma Susan," Bree said happily.

"Hello, sweetheart. Are you ready for the big wedding?"

"Me and Muñequita practise."

Susan smiled. "That's great! And you're going to stay for lunch with me?"

"Yes, Gamma."

"Thanks, Susan," Justin said as he kissed Bree's cheek. "I better get going. Molly's having a meltdown."

Susan chuckled. "I'm sure it's not funny," she added when she saw the worried look on Justin's face, "but she'll be fine. Wedding day jitters, that's all."

"I hope you're right. You be good for Gramma Susan," Justin told Bree as he set her down.

"I will." She ran off inside the apartment.

"Any change in Dad?" Justin asked knowing what the likely answer would be.

Susan shook her head. "He says he just can't be there with…"

"Brian," Justin sighed.

"Sorry, I've done everything I could think of, but he won't budge."

"Well, fuck him!" Justin said vehemently. "I have to get going. I'll call before I come to pick Bree up."

"It'll all work out, Justin," Susan said placing her hand gently on Justin's arm.

"Thanks, but I don't think I have much hope of that happening … at least not the way we all want it to."

Justin quickly headed for the elevator. He needed to get to Molly and do some damage control.

10:42:00

"Molly," Justin pleaded at the door to his sister's room.

"Go way, Justin. Leave me alone."

"Molly, please, let me in. We need to talk."

"I don't want to talk to anybody. I hate this fucking wedding. I hate that everything has been taken out of my hands. It's not the wedding I want. It's not the wedding I always dreamed of having. I'm not going to do it."

"You don't mean that, Mollusk," Justin whispered against the door. He wished his mother would go downstairs. Having her stand behind him and listen to every word he said to his sister just made him more uncomfortable and less likely to persuade Molly to come out of her room.

"Molly, sweetheart, listen to Justin. You don't mean what you're saying. Everything will be fine if you just open the door," Jennifer begged.

"Mother, leave me the fuck alone!" Molly yelled.

"Mom, go downstairs and … press Molly's veil … or something," Justin said in frustration.

"Molly's veil is in the bedroom with Molly … and it doesn't need pressing," Jennifer said, annoyed.

The door to the bedroom opened a fraction of an inch. "Mom, if you go away, I'll talk to Jester." Molly's voice was full of tears, but also full of determination.

"I'm trying to help," Jennifer stated, but the look on Justin's face told her that she should do as Molly requested. "All right, I'm going," she sighed in resignation. She started down the stairs, praying that Justin would finally be able to get through to her daughter.

"Mollusk, let me in," Justin pleaded.

"No!" Molly said slamming the door and almost taking off the tip of Justin's nose as it got too close.

"Jee-zus, Molly, you almost de-nostrilized me."

Molly giggled in spite of her tears. "Sorry."

"Let me in, please."

"No, I can't. I don't want to be talked into this farce of a wedding."

"Then let's just talk about what you do want to do."

"I don't know what I want to do," Molly sobbed. "I'm so confused."

"I know, Mollusk, but I'm here to help you in any way that I can."

"I know, but I can't let you in."

"Then let's talk through the door," Justin suggested. He sat down beside the door and placed the palm of his hand just below the doorknob. "My hand is right below the knob, Moll. Place yours there and we can be connected that way. Good, I feel it."

"How can you feel it?"

"I just do."

"'Kay, Jester," Molly said with a little hitch in her voice.

"Good, now tell me what the problems are."

"Oh, Justin, I don't know if I can go through with this…with any of it."

"You love Owen, don't you?"

"Of course I do."

"Then hang onto that thought and tell me what else is bothering you. Maybe we can come to some kind of compromise."

"It's too late, and everything is so fucked up."

"Remember, you love Owen," Justin repeated. "Just talk."

"'Kay…"


Chapter 2 - 11:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



11:05:12

Brian was relaxing on a tanning bed at his favorite salon. It was mid-December, his summer browned skin was fading and he thought it made him look pasty. He wanted to look his best and his sexiest for the wedding, and for Justin. His mind wandered through past memories of when he was sick. Brian hated that pale, thin, sickly look he had when he had endured his cancer treatments. He was healthy and planned on staying that way. After all, he had a lot to live for. He had his beautiful daughter, handsome son and one hot blond partner.

A sly sexy smirk began to work its way across Brian's face. He always liked the look of himself with a healthy tan but he especially loved the reaction he got from Justin when Brian was brown all over except for his nether regions. Justin loved Brian's tan lines or rather the paler skin in between the tan. It was a little quirk of Justin's that Brian would do his best to indulge. Brian settled back, listening to the piped in sounds of the music of his choice.

11:16:22

"Brian!" Emmett screeched as he raised the lid on Brian's cocoon, startling the older man.

"Oh for fuck's sake! What is it, and this family's penchant for tracking me down and interrupting my tan?!"

"Far be it from me to disturb your majesty, but if you don't do something to fix Molly there will be no wedding! She won't listen to me or Jennifer or Owen. Now get your ass out of that tanning bed and go over there!" Emmett reached in to try to drag Brian off the bed.

"Take your hands off of me, you big old fairy! For your information Justin is over there right now talking to the girl. I'm sure it'll all work out," Brian said as he grabbed the handle and shut the lid. He could hear Emmett screaming then after a few minutes, silence.

"Thank the fucking gods," Brian murmured as he relaxed again and began to doze off.

11:28:32

"Brian?" This time it was Lindsay who opened the lid.

"Fucking hell!"

"Brian, your cell phone is turned off. Jennifer's been calling everyone looking for you. Molly is having a meltdown . I think she needs you."

"Lindz, Molly has her mother and Justin, she doesn't need me," Brian tried to make Lindsay see reason.

"I don't think Justin's getting through to her. She won't open her bedroom door."

Brian gave Lindsay a death glare to end all death glares then slammed down the lid, forcing himself to go back to sleep.

11:42:19

"Brian?" A gentle knock on the lid woke Brian up. Brian raised the lid to see Father Tom, Debbie and Owen all staring down at him. Father Tom opened his mouth to plead their case.

"Hold it right there, Padre. And not another word, from any of you," Brian growled as he sat up. "Don't you all have anything better to do than to harass me? Don't answer that. Let me get dressed and I'll go over there."

Father Tom, Deb and Owen stepped back to let Brian up.

"Honey..." Debbie began.

"Shhh, not one word!" They watched Brian go into the dressing room as they turned to leave.

"I knew he'd do it," Debbie said smugly. Father Tom made a small sign of the cross. Owen began to breathe.

11:58:27

Justin kept his hand against the door, feeling somehow connected to his sister. She had talked and talked and sobbed and then talked some more. She seemed so unhappy, but he supposed it was good that she was getting it all out.

"Molly," he said gently during one of the prolonged silences.

What?"

"Can you open the door now?"

"No."

"Molly, please, you're going to make yourself sick."

"I'm sorry, Jester, but I don't want this wedding. It's like it's somebody else's wedding, not mine. I hate it."

"I understand, but you really need to eat something. Please."

"Thank you for sitting here with me," Molly sighed. "But I'm not hungry. I just want to die."

Chapter 3 - 12:00 AM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



12:02:47

"Honey, I'm home," Craig called cheerfully as he came through the apartment door.

"Gampa!" Bree squealed as she barreled across the living room and flung herself into his arms.

Craig smiled as he hugged his granddaughter and kissed her cheek. "That's the kind of welcome I love to get." He looked pointedly at Susan who had come out of the kitchen.

"Don't expect the same from me," Susan said coldly.

"Susan…" Craig began.

"Don't bother. I've heard all I want to hear from you."

"Well, thanks for calling me to come for lunch with Bree."

"You should thank me. I was tempted not to tell you she was here."

Craig sighed and started to apologize, but he knew it was fruitless. The only thing that would get him back in Susan's good books was for him to walk Molly down the aisle, and he just couldn't bring himself to do that, not with Kinney and his son being there … together.

"What wrong?" Bree asked with a frown. She had been listening to what the adults were saying and watching their looks. Something wasn't right.

"It's all right, sweetheart," Susan said. "Let's sit down to lunch. Bree helped me set the table and make our sandwiches."

"You did?" Craig asked with a smile.

Bree nodded. "I a big girl." This seemed more like her Gampa. Maybe everything was all right. "I flower girl tomorrow. Practise tonight," she added.

"She means the rehearsal dinner which we won't be attending," Susan explained, although she knew Craig was well aware of that fact.

"Come see me, Gampa," Bree pleaded taking Craig's hand.

"I'd like to," Craig admitted. Susan held her breath. "But we won't be able to be there," Craig said with a sigh.

"Why?" Bree wanted to know.

"I … we just can't make it," Craig added lamely.

"Let's eat," Susan said in the same cold voice she had met her husband with when he first arrived. She so wanted to slap him … hard. That would either knock some sense into his hard head or she'd knock him into the middle of next week. Instead she turned and led Bree and Craig into the dining room. She wouldn't say another thing about the wedding.

12:13:17

"Brian, thank god you're here, maybe she'll listen to you," Jennifer exclaimed as she opened the door and gazed up at Brian as if he was her savior then pulled him into the house. Brian did his best not to roll his eyes but failed miserably. Jennifer ignored it. She needed him to talk some sense into her daughter. Sometimes it took a Kinney to get through to a Taylor.

Jennifer ushered him up the stairs to Molly's door. Justin was still sitting on the floor with his hand resting just below the door knob. Brian could see Justin's hand begin to shake from the awkward position. Brian went to Justin immediately, lifted him up off the floor then gently took his hand in his to massage away the cramp.

"Let me have a try at her," Brian whispered into his lover's ear. "Go down and make some coffee, lots of coffee." Brian and Justin rolled their eyes then smiled at each other. If they weren't facing such a disaster, the situation would be laughable. Justin nodded then took his unwilling mother down to the kitchen to allow Brian to work his magic.

Brian sucked in a deep breath, leaned his shoulder against the thin door and pushed his way in.

"Hey!" Molly yelled as the force of Brian against the door sent her tumbling toward her bed. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Molly screamed indignantly.

"I'm about to kick some sense into your ass! What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Brian gave Molly little chance to answer. "Do you know your mother has half the city looking for me? I wouldn't be surprised if the cops pulled me over. All I had to do today was spend a couple hours on a tanning bed to look good for your wedding and my so-called fucking family dragged my sorry ass out of there so I could talk some sense into you. Now why do you suppose they want me to do that?" Brian glared at the hapless girl who then burst into tears.

Brian sighed; he hated when girls cried. He hated when anyone cried and the Taylors had some powerful tears. Hell, even Emmett could get to Brian when he cried.

"Shit," Brian said softly as his sat down on the floor next to Molly trying to curl his long legs underneath him. Not a dignified look for the multi-million dollar company owner. He reached for the tissue box that was on the bed and handed one to Molly.

"Tell me what's going on in that little blond head of yours," Brian said softly as he drew Molly into his side to hug her. Molly's breath hitched as it all came spewing out again.

12:26:00

Lunch was finished. It hadn't been half as enjoyable as Craig had thought it would be, when he came home to spend some time with Bree. Susan was giving him the cold shoulder. She answered any question with a one word answer, and refused to be drawn into any kind of chitchat, although both he and Bree had tried. Although Susan was an excellent cook, his delicious sandwich tasted like sawdust in his mouth.

"Gampa, come see me at the pwactise?" Bree asked batting her eyelashes and using her baby talk.

"I can't, sweetheart," Craig said sadly.

"You mean you won't!" Susan snapped. She had broken her own rule about not saying anything, but Craig was just so infuriating. She stood up and started clearing the table. "Take Bree into the living room and spend some time with her," Susan ordered. "You may not see her again for a while."

"Wh…Why not?" Craig asked bewildered.

Susan merely glared at him. He couldn't possibly be stupid enough to think that Brian and Justin would continue bringing Bree over to their apartment, when Craig was going to break everybody's heart tomorrow by not attending the wedding. Especially Justin and Molly's hearts … and Bree's.

Bree climbed up on Craig's lap when he sat down on the sofa. "Gampa," she said nuzzling under his chin. "Pweeze come to the wedding?"

"Did someone tell you to say that?" he asked. He glanced at the kitchen wondering if Susan had put Bree up to this … or Justin … or that fucking Kinney.

Bree frowned. "Don't unnerstand," she whispered against her grandfather's chest. "Want you to see me. I look pretty at the wedding."

"I'm sure you'll be beautiful, just like Mo…olly." Craig couldn't keep the little hitch out of his voice when he said Molly's name. He was going to miss the most important day in his daughter's life, maybe in his own life too, but he couldn't be there. He just couldn't.

"Love you, Gampa," Bree said wrapping her arms around his neck. "Don't cry."

He hadn't realized that there were tears running down his cheeks, but there were. "I need to get back to work," he said hastily. "I'll see you later." He set Bree onto the sofa and stood up.

"Tomorrow?" she asked hopefully.

"I don't think so," he whispered but he leaned down to kiss her cheek. "I love you too, Briana. Don't ever forget that."

"'Kay."

With that Craig hastily left the apartment before any more tears escaped.

12:41:29

"What's he doing up there?" Jennifer asked as she poured herself another cup of coffee. That was probably a big mistake because she had had too much already. Her bladder was about to burst.

"Talking to her or letting her talk, either way, you called him. Now give him a chance to work," Justin said patiently as his sipped his own cup. He knew just how stubborn the Taylors were. Brian had years of experience with them. Jennifer nodded then went to the bathroom.

12:43:44

Molly stopped talking and stopped crying. She had exhausted herself into a nap. Brian cradled her head onto his lap. He could feel his own legs begin to tingle as the circulation was being cut off. But he didn't dare move, not yet. He gently caressed the fine soft strawberry blond hair that reminded him of Briana's. He leaned back against the bed and waited.

12:45:06

"I'm going up there," Jennifer declared.

"No, Mom, not yet." Justin prepared a mug of coffee for Brian. "I'll go," Justin said as he took the coffee up to Brian.

Brian brought a finger to his lips as he saw Justin slowly enter Molly's room with the cup of coffee. Justin smiled radiantly at his spouse as he handed the welcomed brew to Brian. Brian mouthed a thank you then indicated Justin should give them a few more minutes. Justin nodded again then quietly left the room.

Brian took a few sips as he felt Molly stir.

"How long was I asleep?" Molly asked groggily.

"Not long," Brian said as he offered some of his coffee to the girl. Molly took the cup, inhaled the strong aroma then took a few sips.

"Mmm, that's good but I wish I had something to go with it."

"Go wash up and we'll get some breakfast … or lunch," Brian quipped as he spied the clock on Molly's dresser. Molly nodded then looked up at Brian. Brian could see more tears forming.

"Brian, what am I going to do?"

"You want my honest opinion?" Molly nodded but yet was fearful of his response. "If it was left up to me, I'd hire a private jet and send you and Owen off to Vegas for one of those nasty, quickie weddings. However, I happen to like my hide just the way it is. So, first you're going to dry your eyes, go down and have a big gooey lunch of all your favorite junk food then you're going to take a long hot shower. Cause frankly, my girl, you stink. Then tonight you do the rehearsal and the dinner."

"But..."

"Molly, I know this isn't exactly what you envisioned for your wedding, but it's not about you anymore it's about your family. I know one little blond princess who will be devastated if she's not your flower girl. And then there's Owen, who along with several other people who have seen me naked today, will be very disappointed if he doesn't marry you tomorrow."

"Naked?" Molly said with widening eyes.

"Almost, I had underwear on. The point is, you concentrate on the outcome, which is you and your man getting married and then you can tell the family to go fuck themselves, because after tomorrow it's no longer about them. It'll be about you and Owen. And that man loves you. Shit! Look at what he's been through over the last year or two. He's put up with all of us. That's got to count for something."

Brian could see the Taylor gerbil running around in Molly's head and he started to laugh.

"What?"

"You look just like Justin."

"Yeah?" Brian nodded, smiling fondly at Molly. "You really love my brother, don't you," more a statement of fact than a question.

"Yes, I do."

"I remember some things from when he got hurt." Molly could feel Brian stiffen as she leaned against him. "I remember thinking that I lost everything in my whole world. I lost my dad, my mom didn't know what to do and I was losing my brother. And there you were, making my brother feel better."

"Molly, that wasn't how it happened."

"In my eyes it did. I was just a kid."

"You both were. I should of..."

"Don't! It wasn't your fault, none of it was your fault. It was that bastard, Hobbs."

"Molly..."

"Brian, I have never seen anyone love someone more than you love my brother. I only hope I can live up to half of that." Brian looked at Molly's face. He saw Justin, Jennifer and some of Bree.

"Shit, what is it about you blond Taylors. I am sooo fucked." Brian brought Molly into his chest for a hug.

"I don't know. Why is it that you, Brian Kinney, can always make it right for us?"

Brian heard Molly say that, as he tried to muffle her words by hugging her closer. Brian heard Molly's stomach grumble and he laughed.

"Another Taylor stomach has spoken. Let's go feed it," he said as he released the girl to let her up. Brian unfurled his cramping legs to stand up.

"Brian Kinney, you are a very sweet man." Molly gave him another hug before they left the room.

"Shit," Brian grumbled, making Molly laugh.

"I am sooo onto you!" Molly giggled as Brian cursed good-naturedly under his breath.

Chapter 4 - 1:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



1:05:18

"Behave yourself and then you can fuck them all, but wait until the checks clear!" Those were Brian's parting words of wisdom to Molly as he was about to get into his rental car and go back to the tanning salon. Justin was planning to pick up Bree at Susan's house. Brian's cell phone had other ideas.

"Hey Mikey, what's up?" Brian said into the phone.

"Bri, you better get over here and fast." Michael was practically screaming into the phone. Brian could barely hear him over the noises in the background.

"Mikey, what's going on?"

"It's Emmett, he's, he's throwing things. Apparently Mrs. Brenner called with a last minute change in the menu. Emm's going crazy. OW! Quit it, Emmett, I have to go back to work." Brian heard Emmett shouting a suggestion to Michael that not only sounded very painful but physically impossible to do with a comic book. Brian winced.

"I'll be right over," Brian sighed loudly as he shut his phone and started up the car. "Why me?" he asked the gods in the sky.

1:08:10

Bree sat on the sofa at Craig and Susan's apartment. She could hear her Gamma Susan clearing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen after lunch. Susan had asked her to help and usually Bree would have. She always felt grown up when she could help carry the dishes and help load the dishwasher. But not today. Something was very wrong, and she wasn't sure exactly what was going on between Gamma and Gampa, but she definitely didn't like it. She hugged Muñequita against her chest and waited.

"There, that's all taken care of," Susan said as she came out of the kitchen. She saw Bree sitting quietly on the sofa. The little girl wasn't herself today. She usually was so full of energy and so happy. Today she was subdued. She hadn't even asked to bake cookies. "Bree, are you feeling all right?" Susan asked her.

Bree nodded but didn't say anything.

"Would you like to watch some TV?"

Bree shook her head.

"Is something wrong?"

Bree nodded.

"Tell me about it," Susan said sitting down.

Bree looked up into her step-grandmother's eyes, and with all the wisdom of a four year old, she asked, "What's wrong with you and Gampa?"

Susan blanched. She didn't think it had been that obvious. "We … we're just having a little disagreement."

Bree frowned. "Is that why Gampa won't come see me at the wedding?"

"Oh no, sweetheart, not at all."

"Then why won't he?"

"It's … very complicated."

"Me hate cop-a-clated."

"Me too, sweetheart."

"Is it cuz Gampa hates my Dada?" Bree asked suddenly.

"My goodness, where did you get such an idea?"

"Me know things."

"I guess you do."

"Me fix."

"What?" Susan asked trying to stifle a laugh. If anybody could fix this mess it would be Briana, but she knew this was way beyond the charms of the precocious four year old. Better and greater minds had not been able to fix things for many years.

"Me go talk to Gampa," Bree said with determination.

"I'm sorry, Bree, but Gampa is at work. He won't be happy if we visit him there."

Bree thought about that. She didn't want to make matters worse. Her Gampa seemed angry enough without her adding to it. "Then me make him a card. Tell him. You help me?"

Susan smiled. "Of course, I will." She was already planning some choice words of her own that she would deliver verbally when she gave Craig the card. "Let's go find some paper." She took Bree's hand and they went into the den.

1:13:29

Brian pulled up to the bistro. He noticed a crowd standing outside looking into the window.

"Thank God you're here!" Michael greeted Brian with a hug and a kiss.

"What the fuck is going on? And you'd make a fortune selling tickets," Brian snarked. It looked like half of Liberty Avenue was on the sidewalk. "I haven't seen this many fags on the street since Pride."

"Brian, you have to go in there and calm him down. He's wrecking the place," Michael pleaded.

"Shit, where's Drew when you need him?"

"He's off with the Ironmen. He'll be back later tonight and for the wedding. That is if there is a wedding." They heard a crash.

Sean ran out of the café. "There goes a tray of canapes. At this rate we'll have nothing left to feed everyone tomorrow." Sean gave Brian his best puppy dog look. Add that to Michael's, and Brian knew he was outnumbered.

"Oh fucking hell! First Molly, now Emmett. What else can go wrong? Please don't answer that." The crowd started giggling at Brian's dilemma. Brian shot them all a death glare. "Don't you people have places to be? Jeez-us." Brian ignored the laughter as he stormed into the melee. "WHOA!" Brian yelled as a blueberry muffin sailed past his head hitting the door. The crowd outside automatically ducked. "Maybe you should try out for the Ironmen. That's some arm you got there, Emmett."

"Don't you start with me, Kinney. I have had just about enough." Brian could see that Emmett had about reached the breaking point.

"I'm not here to start anything," Brian remarked casually as he carefully made his way through the mess toward the counter and closer to the war zone. He picked up a buttery soft popover and took a small bite. "Fuck! This is good." Brian took another bite, ignoring the mess that surrounded him and the extra carbs.

"Of course it's good. I made them," Emmett stated matter-of-factly. "Did you expect it to taste any different?"

Brian could see some of the fight leeching away from his tall friend. "No, I've always appreciated your culinary talents but, um..."

"What?" Emmett glared at Brian daring him to disparage his popover.

"Coffee?" Brian said with a little shrug of his broad shoulders as he took another bite, savoring the flavor.

"Sure!" Emmett said with a smile. He rounded the counter to his row of pots. "I recommend the Columbian roast. It goes well with the buttery flavor of the popover." Brian nodded as he quickly wiped off a stool that got dusted with flying powdered sugar. He sat down.

Emmett poured a large mug of coffee and added the sugar for Brian. He wiped off some counter space to place the mug in front of his friend.

"Mmm, oh yeah," Brian purred contentedly. "Almost better than sex. I want a pound of that coffee and a dozen of these popovers to take back to the cottage with me."

"Really? You like them that much?"

"Would I be sitting here in the middle of a disaster zone eating them if I didn't?" Brian proved his point by selecting another one and taking a big bite.

"Wow!" Emmett stood with his mouth agape staring at Brian.

"You want to tell me about it?" Brian asked nonchalantly as he cocked his head toward the mess.

"That Sharon Brenner! I don't care how much money she has; she just can't call me less than twenty-hours before the main event and start changing the menu on me," Emmett said with exasperation.

"So don't do it," Brian mumbled around his coffee mug.

"Huh?"

"Let me ask you something. Who's paying for this shindig?" Brian was licking the crumbs off his fingers trying to resist the urge for another popover.

"Well, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, Jennifer and Molly and Owen. Molly and Owen really wanted to pay for the whole thing by themselves but the Taylors wouldn't hear of it. They wanted the happy couple to save their money so they could put a down payment on a house."

"So I repeat, don't do it. She's not the one who hired you, so she has no say in the matter. Problem solved."

"But she..."

Brian stood to look Emmett straight in the eye. "Problem solved," Brian said with conviction.

"Problem solved," Emmett echoed Brian then smiled. "Yeah, she has no say and Molly loves my choices."

"There ya go. Can I get some of these to go, with some coffee too?" Brian looked at his watch. He still had plenty of time before the rehearsal dinner to work on his tan.

"Sure, honey," Emmett said sweetly. The crisis was over. He fixed a to-go cup of coffee and threw the whole tray of popovers into a large bag for Brian. Emmett stopped Brian as he went for his wallet.

"On the house. I'll see you later," Emmett said with a toothy grin. Brian nodded then gingerly walked through the mess and out the door. Sean immediately went back into the bistro to start the clean up.

"So?" Michael asked Brian.

"Problem solved," Brian said smugly as he gave Michael a chaste kiss then handed him a popover. Michael watched Brian get back into his car with awe.


1:42:21

"Done," Bree said as she put her last bit of coloring on the folded paper that was her card to Craig. "Read it for me," she asked her grandmother.

"Okay, sweetheart." Susan began reading what Bree had told her to write. If this didn't wake up her idiot husband then nothing would.

"Good," Bree said when Susan finished. "Take it to Gampa now?"

"No, Bree, I think it can wait until later tonight. I know just when to give it to him."

"'Kay."

"How be you have a little nap before your daddy comes to pick you up?"

"'Kay," Bree agreed with a yawn. She climbed up onto the sofa in the den and laid down with Muñequita clutched to her chest.

Susan laid the afghan over the two and closed the door as she went back into the living room. She still held Bree's card in her hand. She wondered if Craig would finally get the message when he saw this card.


Chapter 5 - 2:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



2:13:09

Brian was almost to the tanning salon when his cell phone went off again. "Please take pity on me!" he pleaded to the gods in the sky. "Kinney."

"Brian, it's me, Jennifer."

"Please don't tell me she's locked herself in her room again. I don't think I'm up to another round with her."

"No, nothing like that," Jennifer chuckled at the exasperated tone of Brian's voice. "Everything's fine. Molly had a nice chat with Emmett and she's on the phone with Owen right now."

"So to what do I owe the pleasure of this call?" Brian snarked.

"Can we meet someplace? I need to talk to you."

Brian sighed. "Meet me at the diner." Brian turned at the next corner to go back toward the diner.

"Thanks, Brian. See you in a few minutes." Jennifer cut the connection.

2:28:37

Brian was sitting in the back booth nursing a cup of coffee waiting for Jennifer to arrive. Lacy was busy serving the late lunch crowd. Debbie was slowly but surely stepping back, especially in rough weather. She didn't need the money nor any possible accidents trying to get to and from the diner in the snow.

Lacy was bustling. It was Christmas break from PIFA so Lacy decided to pick up extra shifts. Even though her father had made good on paying her tuition, Lacy still needed books and art supplies. The extra tips were put to good use.

Lacy came to Brian's table to top off his coffee. Brian smiled warmly at the girl. Lacy returned the smile with one of her own. Brian shook his head. It wasn't that long ago when Lacy came into their lives, shaking up their little world. It was good to see her settled and happy. Brian raised his cup to her as a salute. She laughed.

"Switching to girls now?" Jennifer said, as she plopped herself down opposite her son-in-law. Lacy was quick to bring her a cup of coffee.

"Mother Taylor..." Brian began with his usual snark.

"Don't, Brian, don't." Jennifer raised her hand to ward off any verbal assaults. "I'm not in the mood."

Brian studied her closely before daring to speak. Jennifer Taylor was a beautiful woman. Most of the time Jennifer was impeccably dressed with not a hair out of place, and tastefully applied make-up. For a mother of a thirty-something and a twenty-ish, Jennifer Taylor was hot. Not to mention being a grandmother of the flower girl. The Jennifer Taylor sitting across from Brian looked frazzled, wearing minimal make-up, an old sweat shirt and jeans, with her hair up in a ponytail.

"What's wrong, and how does it involve me?"

"I need some advice."

"From me?" Brian asked as his eyebrows got lost in his hairline.

"Yes, from you. I don't know who to talk to."

"Jenn, you must have a female friend or two you can confide in," Brian stated reasonably.

"No, not really. Look, this is embarrassing enough as it is. Please don't make it any more difficult." Brian nodded. "I can't talk to your mother about this, Debbie would be shouting out her advice and I'm certainly not going to Susan Taylor."

"What about your other friends?"

"They're all married."

"Oh, OH!" Brian said as the dawn began to break. "You want me to hire a pretty boy for your arm tomorrow?"

"What?! No!"

"What about that Trucker guy? He was hot."

"Tucker, and yes he was hot, too hot. Far too many young women found him attractive, as well as the men, but that's not what broke us up."

"What did?"

"Us, all of this." Jennifer swept her arm around to indicate the diner. "Our cwazy wittle family, as you so aptly put it. It turns out that Tucker was a bit of a homophobe. He could take it in small doses but he never wanted to be around for the real family gatherings. And in spite of all the craziness, I live for those big family get-togethers. They've become a way of life for me, for all of us. He wasn't worth that."

Brian nodded in agreement. It took a strong person to make it in their family. He admired Jennifer for standing up for her convictions....that Taylor tenacity struck again.

"What else?" Brian asked. He could sense there was more to it.

"I...I don't want to be the only one there without a partner. Do you realize that you and Justin will be one of the oldest couples there? That didn't come out right. Your relationship is one of the longest and most successful. Everyone else is either divorced, separated or on their second or third marriage."

"Jenn."

"I'm tired of being alone. Molly's moving out. I almost envy her and Owen. Starting their new life, so much in love."

"And it's time for Mother Taylor to have someone to love, and to love her back."

"Is that too much to ask?"

"No, not at all. You're a beautiful woman." Jennifer raised her own brows. "I'm not blind, even though I prefer dick to..."

"Brian," Jennifer warned him with a growl. Brian smiled meekly.

"You know what I mean. I've had a few women in my life. I can appreciate the curves, the softness and um, the no need for lube." Brian lowered his voice to a whisper. "We need to get you a date for the wedding."

"But we have less than twenty-four hours. I can't possibly find someone now, unless you really mean to hire me an escort. I wouldn't know how."

"I do, but that's a last resort. And I have someone in mind. If all else fails, I'll be your date. At the very least, save me a dance or two. We have to give this burgh something to gossip about. I'll have the two best looking Taylors on my arm tomorrow night." Brian gave Jennifer one of his sexiest leers.

Jennifer cracked up. "If I haven't said it before, you're a good man, Brian Kinney."

"Aw shucks, Mother Taylor," Brian drawled, trying to look coy. Jennifer's laugh grew louder.

2:56:49

"Brian, what brings you here to my office?" Seth Harris asked as he stood to shake Brian's hand.

"Do you have plans for tomorrow night?"


Chapter 6 - 3:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



3:06:09

"Hi, Susan," Justin said into the phone. "I should be there in a few minutes to pick up Bree." He had finally left his mother's after getting Molly to promise that she wouldn't lock herself in her room again. They had shared a pint of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream that they had found in the freezer at his mother's. Finally Molly had told him to go home. She needed to get ready for the fucking rehearsal dinner, and if she ate anymore ice cream, she was sure her wedding dress wouldn't fit her any longer. Their mother seemed to have disappeared to parts unknown.

"Okay, Justin. Bree's asleep."

"Oh? She's not feeling bad, is she?"

"No," Susan sighed. "She had lunch with Craig. She really wants him to come see her be the flower girl at the wedding."

"And he wouldn't say he would come," Justin said letting out his own long sigh. "Was she upset?"

"A little. But I got her to lie down, and she's been asleep ever since. I thought she might need some rest before the rehearsal and dinner tonight."

"Thanks, Susan," Justin said. "You've been a big help today … unlike someone else we both know."

Susan was about to tell Justin of Bree's card, but then she decided that maybe it would be better to keep that to herself. Justin was upset enough with his father already. "I'll get Bree up," Susan said instead.

"Thanks. We have to be at the rehearsal for five, so I need to take her to the loft and get her ready."

"No problem. See you in a few minutes."

Justin flipped his cell closed and stared at the road as he drove towards Susan's. It looked like he was going to be walking Molly down the aisle tomorrow, so he might as well reconcile himself to that fact.

3:08:02

Justin flipped open his cell and hit number one on the speed dial.

"Hey," Brian's voice came over the line.

"I'm on my way to pick up Bree and take her back to the loft. Will you be there soon?"

"In a bit."

"Are you still tanning … for me?" Justin asked in his sexiest voice.

Brian groaned. He wished he was. "No, I didn't get quite as much tanning time as I would have liked. I'm kind of in the middle of something. I'll explain when I see you."

"Okay," Justin said with a frown. He closed his phone and turned into the parking lot of his father's condo.

3:09:42

"That was important," Brian said as he put his cell away and turned back to face Seth Harris.

"Yes, I'm sure your tanning time is very important," Seth chuckled.

Brian felt himself blush. "Um … that was my partner. I have to get going so that we can get ready for the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Does Jennifer have an escort for that event?" Seth asked.

"No, I don't believe she does."

"Then perhaps I should give her a call right now."

"You … you don't have to. If you escort her to the wedding, she will be more than happy," Brian assured him.

"And I would be more than happy to spend whatever time I can with the lovely Jennifer Taylor. Run along, young man, and leave the rest of this up to me."

With a chuckle, Brian shook Seth's hand and left his office.

3:11:15

"Jennifer, it's Seth Harris. You remember, from the sale of the bakery?"

"Oh yes, Mr. Harris. What can I do for you?" Jennifer asked. She was on her way back to the condo to make sure everything was all right with Molly. She needed to start getting ready for the rehearsal dinner. She wished she had an escort for that, but if Brian could find her someone … presentable for the wedding reception, that was the main thing. "Do you have another building or some real estate that you want me to sell for you?" She chuckled, knowing that she had been very impressed with the gentleman known as Seth Harris. Even after he had almost backed out of the deal for Emmett's Place.

"No, no, nothing like that," Seth said cautiously realizing that Jennifer had no idea why he was calling. Maybe he should have waited and let Brian Kinney fill her in on the fact that he wanted to be her escort.

"Then what can I do for you?" Jennifer asked. "I'm kind of busy. My daughter is getting married tomorrow."

"I know."

"You do? Do you know the Brenners?" Jennifer asked, wondering how Seth Harris would have any inkling about the Taylor/Brenner wedding otherwise.

"I know Owen Brenner a little bit through business, but more importantly I do know Brian Kinney."

"Oh? OH!" Jennifer blurted out as she realized what this call was about. She felt her cheeks start to burn.

"Brian tells me that you are looking for an escort to your daughter's wedding."

"To the reception, really," Jennifer said quickly. She didn't want to sound too needy. "You know, someone to dance with and sit with."

"I understand perfectly. Since my wife died I've turned down a lot of invitations for that very fact that I didn't have someone to do those things with."

Jennifer felt herself relax as she heard his words. He understood what it was like to be alone and unattached in a world of couples. "I see," she said carefully, waiting to see if he would ask to be her escort.

"Brian was off to get ready for the rehearsal dinner," Seth continued. "I wondered if I might escort you to that too … if it's not too presumptuous on my part to do so."

Jennifer felt the smile spread across her face. "That would be absolutely wonderful," she gushed. "But you don't have to…" she added thinking that she better give him an out if he needed it.

"I'd love to accompany you. If I wasn't such a coward, I would have asked you out when we were negotiating the sale of the building."

"Really?" Jennifer asked, her smile returning.

"Really. And if you accept my offer to accompany you, I will be eternally grateful to Brian for suggesting it."

"That's very gallant of you, Mr. Harris."

"Don't you think you should start calling me Seth?"

"Only of you call me Jennifer, and I would love to have you accompany me to the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Just tell me where and when, and I'll make sure I'm there," Seth said happily.

Jennifer could hear the smile in his voice and felt herself grow warm all over. This might turn out to be so much better than anything she could have expected. She felt like a teenager going on a date. It seemed like Seth actually wanted to take her out. "The rehearsal is at five o'clock. Would you like to attend that and then go to the dinner with me afterwards?"

"That would be lovely, Jennifer," Seth smiled.

"That's wonderful, Seth. Here's my address…"

3:44:15

"Brian?" Justin called as he pushed back the loft door.

"Up here."

"What are you doing?" Justin asked as he set Bree down and she ran up the steps to her Dada.

"Hey, Squirt, I'm getting our clothes ready for tonight."

"I wear my pretty dress?" Bree asked.

"Not your flower girl dress. That's for tomorrow. But see this lovely creation that I picked out for you. You will be very beautiful tonight, as well as tomorrow."

"'Kay, Dada," Bree said, running back into the living room to get Muñequita from her Daddy.

"I laid out your duds too," Brian said to Justin as he came up the steps to the bedroom.

"Didn't think I could do that for myself?" Justin laughed.

"Well, cargo pants aren't really acceptable for rehearsal dinners," Brian chuckled at his own joke.

"And here I thought I could be comfortable."

"We'll be coordinated," Brian said as he gestured to the plain blue suit for Justin and the pinstripe blue for himself. "We'll be fabulous."

"We're always fabulous according to you," Justin said as he walked into a hug from his husband.

"We always are fabulous," Brian stated as he kissed Justin tenderly.

"Me faboolous too," Bree said, coming back up the steps carrying Muñequita.

"The most fabulous family in the whole wide world," Justin crowed.

"You got that right, Sunshine." Brian scooped up Bree and carried her into the bathroom. "Time for you to get squeaky clean, Squirt, then it will be Daddy's and my turn."

"'Kay, Dada."

Preparations for the evening were about to begin.


Chapter 7 - 4:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



4:02:19

"Brian, did you ever get back to the tanning salon?" They were sitting at the kitchen counter eating a snack before they had to go to the wedding rehearsal. The dinner was to follow after but Justin wasn't sure if Bree could hold out. He also packed her bag with other goodies and juice boxes just in case.

"Not really, something came up," Brian said with tongue in cheek.

"Uh huh." Justin gave Brian a sideways glance. Brian gave him an innocent smile. "We don't really need you at the rehearsal. You can meet us at the reception hall."

"So, what am I supposed to be doing when you're traipsing up and down the aisle?"

"Working on your tan, you big goof. Dinner isn't until seven-thirty; you'll be golden brown by then," Justin came around the counter to give Brian a hug. His hand slowly made its way down Brian's back, coming to rest on Brian's taut ass. Justin gave Brian's butt a little pat.

"Pretty damn sure of yourself, aren't you, Sunshine," Brian stated as he leaned back to look into Justin's eyes. Justin waggled his eyebrows and nodded. "You are a bad little boy."

"Uh huh, just the way you like me," Justin said confidently then reached up on his toes to give Brian a kiss.

"Yeah, I do," Brian murmured into Justin's mouth as he returned the kiss.

"Go, now, before something else comes up," Justin said as he pushed Brian back. "I'll call you if we need you." Brian nodded his consent.

"You be good for your Daddy, Squirt, and I'll see you later at dinner." Brian gave Bree a kiss as he grabbed his coat and keys.

"I be good, Dada." Bree gave her Dada a sunny smile as Brian left the loft.

4:09:28

Molly lounged in the bathtub at Jennifer's condo. The water was getting cool and she knew she should get out. She just wasn't sure if she was ready to face the rehearsal and all her bridesmaids. At least Joanne would be there to support her, and Katerina. She had to remember the good things and not focus on the bad. She wouldn't let the fact that her wedding had become a three ring circus get her down. Brian was right. She could get through the next twenty-four hours. Then she and Owen would go away on their honeymoon and leave all this shit behind them. When they came back, everything would return to normal, except that she'd be a … married woman. She hugged herself and couldn't help but smile.

Just then the portable phone that she had set beside the tub rang. She reached over and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Moll."

"Owen," she sighed with happiness. He always seemed to know when she needed him.

"How…How are you?" he asked hesitantly. He knew she had been in a real funk about what had happened to the wedding, especially all the changes his mother had insisted upon.

"Better now … especially since I'm talking to you." Owen smiled. "I was ready to run away this morning. I told them all to fuck it and locked myself in my bedroom."

"Are you still in there, or are you coming to the rehearsal."

"I'll be there," Molly laughed. "I won't leave you at the altar, even if it is only the rehearsal."

"Thank God!" Owen chuckled. "And tomorrow?"

Molly sighed. She really had worried them all. She was being a bitch, but she felt so helpless until Brian had made her put it all in perspective. "I love you. I want to be Mrs. Owen Brenner … Junior," she added quickly.

"Yeah, you wouldn't want to be my mother, even if I love her dearly. She has such pretentious ideas."

"I guess the country club will provide quite the splash for the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"You guessed it. But we'll get through it … won't we?" Owen asked.

"We will, especially with you standing beside me."

"I love you, Moll."

"I love you too. I better get out of this bathtub."

"I could come join you," Owen said suggestively.

"On the honeymoon," Molly chuckled.

"I'll hold you to that."

"You won't have to. See you in a little while."

Molly hit the end button on the phone and climbed out of the tub.

4:14:14

"Molly," Jennifer called as she ran into the condo.

"I'm in the bathroom." Molly was drying off after her bath.

"You…you're not locking yourself in there?"

"No, Mother," Molly sighed. "I'm getting ready for the rehearsal."

Jennifer let out a breath of relief. "Great! I need to get ready too."

"I'll be out in a minute," Molly said. She finished drying herself off and wrapped the bath sheet around her body. She opened the door.

"Oh, Molly, I love you," Jennifer said pulling her daughter into a warm hug. "I'm so sorry the wedding hasn't turned out the way you want it."

"I know, Mom. It's okay. I can handle it."

"Are you sure, sweetheart?" Jennifer looked into her daughter's eyes trying to convince herself that everything was actually all right.

"I just talked to Owen. Everything is … fine."

"Fine?" Jennifer asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well, maybe not fine, but reconciled."

Jennifer sighed. "Try to enjoy it, sweetheart. This is your big event, even if Sharon has hijacked it."

Molly laughed. "Hijacked! I like that description."

"Go get ready and so will I. I have a date." Jennifer breezed into her bedroom and closed the door.

"Date? Mother, when did this happen?" Molly stared at the closed door.

"Go get ready. All will be revealed in about a half an hour," Jennifer called out through the closed door.

Molly shook her head and went to get dressed.

4:27:18

Brian settled back on the tanning bed. He left strict instructions that no one was to disturb him except for Justin. He hoped all the crises were done for the day.

4:46:03

The doorbell at the Taylor condo buzzed. With a smile Jennifer opened the door. "Seth," she said looking her date up and down. She was very pleased with what she saw. Seth looked very distinguished in a charcoal gray suit and gray tie with red stripes. The gray strands of his hair at his temples seemed to complete the ensemble.

Seth felt his breath catch in his throat. He knew Jennifer Taylor was a beautiful woman, but dressed to the nines, she was breathtaking. "You look very lovely," he managed to get out.

"Thank you," Jennifer said with a big smile. "So do you." Seth chuckled. "Come in and meet the bride."

Seth followed her up the stairs. Molly waited in the living room, looking as lovely as her mother in a pale blue floral dress with a matching plain blue overjacket.

"Another beautiful Taylor lady," Seth said gallantly.

"Molly, this is Seth Harris. He's going to drive us to the rehearsal and then pick me up afterwards to go to the dinner."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Harris," Molly said extending her hand for him to shake. Mr. Harris looked like a cultured, charming man about her mother's age. Much better than Tucker.

"Likewise," Seth said. "I'm very happy to chauffeur two such lovely ladies."

"Then let's get going," Jennifer said grabbing her coat. Maybe this wedding would be more enjoyable than she had ever imagined. Seth took her arm and then Molly's escorting them to his car as they left the house. He made sure they were both settled comfortably before he backed out of the driveway and headed for the church. He had a big smile on his face.

Chapter 8 - 5:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



5:01:29

"Ah, Molly sweetie, you made it," Emmett gushed, as Molly and Jennifer entered the church.

"Of course I made it," Molly retorted. Everybody must think she was a blithering idiot based on her performance earlier in the day. "Is everybody here?"

"No, not everyone, but they're starting to assemble," Emmett said with a sigh. "We'll get started as soon as the wedding party has arrived. Here's Justin and Briana now."

Justin had Bree by the hand as they came through the door. Bree looked up and saw her Auntie Emm. "Auntie Emm! Auntie Emm!" she squealed as she pried her hand out of Justin's and ran full force into Emmett's leg. "I flower girl," she cried as Emmett picked her up.

"I know, sweetie," Emmett laughed. At least one of the wedding party was showing some enthusiasm.

"Sorry, Emm," Justin said as he took his daughter out of Emmett's arms.

"That's okay. We couldn't start without the flower girl."

"What about the bride?" Justin asked looking around. That was when he spotted his mother and sister who were removing their coats. They had been surrounded by a large group of women, apparently the bridal party. Molly looked spooked. "Molly," Justin called, and Molly extricated herself from the group and walked towards him. She looked relieved as she glanced back at the large, squealing group of girls. "You okay?" Justin asked.

"I was until they swarmed me."

Justin chuckled. "It wasn't that bad, was it?"

"You go stand in the middle of them," Molly snarked.

"Um … no thanks," Justin said glancing at the mob of girls. "Is Joanne in their midst?"

"I think so. She pushed me out," Molly laughed.

"Hi, Auntie Molly," Bree said smiling from her father's arms.

"Hello, sweetheart. Are you ready to walk down the aisle?" Molly asked her.

Bree nodded. "I practise."

"I know you have, sweetie. You've been a very good girl. Now if we could only get this gaggle of girls to behave."

"That's Emmett's job, isn't it?" Justin asked with a grin.

"I'm trying," Emmett called out to them, as he tried to round up the girls and get them organized to begin the rehearsal.

"Where's Brian?" Molly asked.

"He's … um, busy."

"Oh? I thought he'd be here."

"He'll be at the dinner. "Who's that man with Mom?" Justin asked seeing his mother talking to Seth Harris as she hung up their coats on the rack inside the door.

"That's her date for the dinner. He drove us here."

"Date?"

"You heard me, and don't give her a hard time about it. Oh, there's Owen," Molly cried and ran into her husband-to-be's arms.

"Where Dada?" Bree asked looking around for her other father. It was like Molly's words had finally registered.

"Dada will be here later," Justin said kissing her cheek.

"Need him to look after Muñequita." Bree clutched her dolly in her arms.

"Muñequita will be just fine. I'll stay with her."

Bree frowned. That wasn't what was supposed to happen. "'Kay, Daddy," she said, but she didn't look happy.

Justin carried her over to the coat rack to get rid of their own winter garb.

5:24:09

After about twenty minutes of schmoozing and hugs and introductions, Emmett was getting very agitated. They needed to get this rehearsal started so people would be able to get to the country club for cocktails and the rehearsal dinner.

"If I may have everyone's attention!" Emmett called at the top of his lungs. No one paid any attention. They all just kept on talking and laughing and ignoring him. Emmett decided to take a leaf out of Drew's book. He put his fingers in his mouth and let out a shrill whistle just like Drew had taught him. Everyone stopped dead at the sound.

"Um … sorry about that," Emmett said quickly. "But we need to get started. Anyone not in the wedding party please take a seat in the church, and all members of the wedding party please stay out here in the foyer."

People began filing into the church. The gaggle of bridesmaids and their counterparts, the groomsmen, stood off to one side. Emmett was breathing a sigh of relief when Sharon Brenner pounced.

"I have never been whistled at like that in my whole life," she said haughtily to Emmett. "I trust there will be no such repetition of that in the future.

Emmett opened his mouth to apologize, but before he could say anything, Owen Sr. spoke up. "I'm sure Emmett won't do that again, if you can manage to keep that bevy of babbling brats over there under control." He looked pointedly at the bridesmaids who were mostly nieces of Sharon's or cousins of Owen's. With that he whisked his wife over to the group to see that she kept them in line. Emmett smiled fondly at the elder Brenner.

"Okay! Groomsmen, follow me, and I'll show you what to do."

Emmett took charge. He began positioning people and walking them through their activities for the following day. Everybody began to cooperate. The bridal party made their way down the aisle under Emmett's tutelage. Patrick had arrived with his dads. He made his way down the aisle carrying the pillow that would hold the rings the following day. Finally the only people left were Bree and then Molly and Justin who would be the last down the aisle.

"I wish Dad was here," Molly sighed. "But since he can't be, I'm glad you're with me."

Justin smiled. "I'll do my best," he said squeezing her arm. "Okay, Bree," Justin said, squatting down beside her. "Here's the basket of flowers that you'll be carrying. Just pretend to scatter your rose petals like we practised at home. Tomorrow you will have real flowers."

"'Kay, Daddy," Bree said, as she took the basket and handed Muñequita to her father. He handed the doll to Emmett. Emmett gave Bree a little push with his hand to start her into the church.

Bree used her practised steps as she walked through the doorway. She stepped into the church proper and looked around. Many faces stared back at her. Some were smiling but many looked tired and annoyed and hungry. Bree felt panic well up inside her. This wasn't what she thought it would be like. She looked for her Dada holding Muñequita, but then she remembered that he wasn't there. She felt tears well up as she stood transfixed inside the door. She glanced to the front and saw the long line of attendants waiting for her to take her walk. Joanne waved at her to continue. She liked Joanne. She started to take a tentative step toward Joanne, but then she heard someone mutter, "Why do they always have temperamental children as flower girls?"

Bree glanced over at a man she didn't know. She gave him her death glare before turning around and running back into Justin's arms.

"Bree, what is it?" Justin asked as he picked her up.

The first tear ran down her cheeks. "Don't want to be flower girl."

Justin gasped, Molly sighed and Emmett was ready to pull his hair out by the roots.

"But, sweetheart, you've practised so much. You can do this," Justin said, trying to reassure her.

"Don't want to." Bree buried her face into Justin's neck.

"Please, Bree, we need you," Molly told her niece.

"No," Bree replied and more tears fell.

"What the fuck are we going to do now?" Emmett asked.

"Call Brian," Justin said quickly.

5:43:16

Brian was getting dressed. He had finished his time in the tanning bed and he felt good. He was ready for a drink and some dinner. As he pulled on his suit jacket, he felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out and noted Emmett's number. With a sigh, he flipped it open and said, "What now?"

"Bree's having a meltdown. She doesn't want to be flower girl anymore," Emmett informed him.

"Fucking Hell! I'll be there in four minutes."

5:47:16

Brian Kinney, aka the Wedding Fixer, walked into the church.

He surveyed the situation sizing up what needed to be done. He walked over to Justin who was holding a sobbing Bree.

"Give her to me," Brian said. "Start the rehearsal over again," he ordered Emmett.

"But…" Emmett began.

"Start. I'll talk to Bree."

Emmett bowed his head and started assembling the wedding party again. Brian snatched Muñequita out of Emmett's hand. He took Bree out of Justin's arms.

"Want me to come too?" Justin asked as Brian started to walk away.

"No," Brian said. "Stay with Molly."

Brian and Bree went out the front doors of the church. Brian sat down on the cement railing that stuck out on both sides of the church entrance. He positioned Bree on his knee wrapping one side of his overcoat around her to keep her warm. He handed her the doll and she hugged it close.

"Scared, Dada," she whispered against his chest.

"Is that what's wrong?" Bree nodded her head looking into Brian's eyes with her own blue ones full of tears. "You don't want to be flower girl anymore?"

"No, Dada."

"Even if Molly and Gramma Jenn and Daddy and Auntie Emm are all depending on you?'

"No, Dada, no flower girl," she repeated with a gulp as she swallowed her tears.

"Then I guess we can go home."

"Home?" she asked looking up at him. She knew there was supposed to be dinner and that she would get to wear her pretty dress the next day.

"Yes, if you don't want to be the flower girl, then we better go home."

"But…" She didn't know how to finish that.

"You wanted to be the flower girl for so long, Squirt. What happened?" Brian kissed the top of her head.

"Too many people. And a mean man."

"Mean man?"

"He said I tepper-a-metal."

"Temperamental?" Brian asked with a smile.

"Yes."

"How would you like to prove him wrong?"

"Prove him wrong?" she asked with a frown.

"He's very wrong!" Brian declared. "You are the most wonderful and reliable little girl. You're not temperamental at all. Auntie Molly wouldn't have asked you to be her flower girl if she thought you couldn't do it. Did Patrick do his part correctly?"

"Yes, Dada."

"You're not going to let Patrick do one better than you, are you?"

"No, Dada," Bree declared.

"Then what are we going to do?" Brian asked her.

"I be flower girl," Bree stated. Brian could see the steel in her back reset, and he could feel it in her posture.

"Are you sure?"

"I sure. I can do it if Patrick do it."

"Then let's go," Brian said standing up and taking Bree's hand. "I'll mind Muñequita." He took the doll with a little sigh, and they walked back inside the church.

Chapter 9 - 6:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



6:14:57

The bridal party had just finished their long trek down the aisle. Next it was Briana's turn. Her basket hung from one arm and she placed her other hand into it pretending to sprinkle her petals. Bree turned to face Molly and Justin who were standing just behind her waiting for her to start. Molly smiled sweetly, praying that the little girl had the courage to walk down the aisle. Justin blew his daughter a little kiss then motioned for her to start.

As Briana began her slow march down the center of the aisle, the man who made the unflattering remark regarding her earlier first try, stood glowering at her. In true Kinney style, Briana mustered up all of her strength of will and character. She gave the man her best Kinney death glare then swished her way past. Bree spied her Dada standing by the front pew. She fixed her eyes on his. Brian used all of his will and Rageian powers to give his brave daughter the courage to complete her task.

"I do it, Dada!" Bree squealed as she got to the altar.

"Yes you did," Brian said with pride as he scooped up his daughter into his arms. "Tomorrow you'll be the best flower girl that ever was." Brian kissed Bree all over her little face as Justin escorted Molly.

6:20:07

"Susan, I'm home," Craig called as he walked into the apartment.

"Great," Susan said sarcastically. "I was hoping you might have grabbed a clue and gone to the rehearsal at the church."

"What rehearsal?" Craig asked. The words were barely out of his mouth when he realized how big an ass he was being. "Sorry, I just can't go to the wedding."

"Is that your final decision?" Susan asked, ice in her voice.

"Yes, it … has to be."

"Then you are a bigger fool than I ever thought you were. I'm beginning to wonder why I ever married you." With that Susan walked into their bedroom and slammed the door. Craig heard the lock click. He would be spending the night on the couch.

He went to the kitchen to find something to eat.

6:32:18

"And then Owen kisses his lovely bride, they turn to face the congregation...pictures, pictures, pictures...and then go back toward the vestibule to form the receiving line." Emmett had found his own courage to handle the unruly wedding party and began to issue orders. The party responded well to his no-nonsense attitude.

6:48:54

Most of the wedding party was out the door and heading for the country club for dinner. All Emmett had to do was go home and have a long hot soak in his bathtub. What he really wanted was to go back to the bistro to recheck all his trays and lists but Sean had put his foot down. Sean had given Emmett strict instructions to get a good night's sleep before the main event.

"Auntie Emm!" Bree called as she ran to him before he left the church. Emmett picked her up and sat with her in a pew. "I good flower girl?"

"Very good, Miss Bree," Emmett confirmed. He held her close then whispered something into her tiny ear. Briana nodded her little head, her ponytails on each side of her head wiggled wildly. "You remember that for tomorrow, okay, princess?"

"Okay, Auntie Emm, I remebber. I love you, Auntie Emm," Briana said as she gave Emmett a hug.

"I love you too, sweetheart." Emmett stood, handed Briana over to Brian then left for the night.

"Squirt, what did Emmett say to you?" Brian asked his daughter as he held her up in his arms so that they were nose to nose.

"Auntie Emm said…" Bree began in a whisper. "He said that if I get scared tomorrow to pretend all the people have silly clown noses. I not scared of clowns, Dada." Bree beamed a confident smile at Brian.


"You know, Squirt, your Auntie Emm is one smart fairy godmother," Brian said as he kissed her tiny nose then joined Justin who was saying goodbye to his mother. She said someone was picking her up to take her to the rehearsal dinner. It must be her "date". Molly had already left with Owen.

"Hey, you two, ready for dinner?" Justin asked Bree and Brian.

"Hungry!" Bree and Brian said together. Justin laughed as he ushered his family out the door.

6:52:10

Craig stared at the mostly uneaten sandwich that lay on his plate. He was sitting at the little table in the kitchen of his apartment. Susan had locked herself in the bedroom. He had tried to talk to her through the door but she wouldn't answer. He had made this sandwich, but it tasted like shit. Just like his life - shit!

He took another swig of beer. He wondered if the rehearsal for Molly's wedding was over yet. It should be. The wedding party and their guests should be at the country club getting ready for dinner. He wondered if Molly looked as beautiful walking down the aisle as he pictured her. He was sure she did, and she would look even more beautiful tomorrow … in her wedding gown.

Craig took another bite of his sandwich and chewed listlessly. The food at the country club would have been a lot better than this. He would have liked to be there, congratulated by everyone on his beautiful daughter and the wonderful new husband she was marrying.

But if he had gone to the dinner, Justin and Kinney would have been there. His attendance would signal that he accepted their relationship and he certainly accepted no such thing. He refused to do that … ever.

And Briana would be there. She wouldn't be wearing her flower girl dress until tomorrow, but she would be as cute as a button. He could picture her with her blond hair and blue eyes and that little gamin grin that she knew how to use to her full advantage. Craig smiled in spite of himself.

Then the smile faded. He wouldn't see any of that. He wouldn't be able to hold Briana in his arms and tell her what a good job she had done as flower girl. He wouldn't be able to kiss Molly's cheek and tell her what a fine young woman she had become. And how proud he was of her. He wouldn't be able to see Jennifer looking lovely … but alone, while he walked around with his young, beautiful Susan on his arm. He wouldn't be able to do any of that … and it was all because of Brian fucking Kinney.

With a sigh Craig stood up. He finished the rest of his beer before carrying his largely uneaten sandwich to the garbage can and dumping it in. He placed the plate in the sink and grabbed another beer from the fridge. He went out into the living room. He stared at the bedroom door wondering if he should try once again to get Susan to answer him. Deciding that would be futile, he slumped down onto the sofa, flicked on the TV and hunted for something mindless to watch.

6:56:00

Molly and Owen each had a cocktail in their hands as they wove their way through the foyer of the country club. They greeted their guests, and Owen introduced her to all the family and friends that his parents had invited, and that Molly had barely met or had never met at all.

She was feeling a little overwhelmed once again. She wished there was more of her own family and friends. She waved to Justin and Brian and Bree, as Owen dragged her over to someone she just had to meet.

Owen touched the girl's arm and this lovely young woman turned around and pulled Owen into a warm hug.

"Owen," she practically moaned.

Molly felt her temper rise as she watched the two. This must be one of Owen's old girlfriends. Molly wondered why he would have invited her to the rehearsal dinner, which meant that she would be at the wedding too. Molly felt the great urge to rip the woman's arms from around Owen's neck as the hug went on and on.

Molly looked for her mother or Justin or someone, so she could get away. She felt tears start to well up, as Owen finally broke the hug.

"Molly," Owen said proudly. "This is my favorite cousin, Stacey Manning."


Chapter 10 - 7:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



7:03:21

Jennifer Taylor walked into the foyer of the country club on Seth Harris' arm. Seth looked impeccable and very handsome in his suit. Jennifer could feel heads turning in her direction, undoubtedly speculating on who the handsome gentleman with her might be.

She held her head up high as she walked towards Molly and Owen. She wanted Owen to meet Seth.

"Hi, honey," Jennifer said as she gave her daughter a hug. "You got through the rehearsal part of the wedding unscathed." Jennifer chuckled.

"Barely," Molly replied. "I thought I would pass out when Bree had her meltdown. Thank God, Brian was able to talk to her."

"Briana came through just fine," Jennifer stated. "I'm sure she will handle herself impeccably tomorrow. Speaking of impeccable," Jennifer segued. "Owen, I'd like you to meet Seth Harris."

"Hi, Seth," Owen smiled.

"You know each other?" Jennifer asked looking from man to man.

Owen laughed. "We've met a few times in the past with business dealings."

"It's a small world," Seth said with a smile.

"Everyone's very interested in your date, Mother," Molly whispered in Jennifer's ear.

"Good! That's exactly what I intended."

"Mother!"

Jennifer laughed. "Seth, let's go get a drink."

Seth took Jennifer's arm and they made their way over to the bar. Molly watched in stunned silence. She didn't often see this side of her mother. She remembered some of the defiance her mother had shown when she was dating the much younger Tucker. She liked a feisty mom, and that's what seemed to have reappeared. She had Seth Harris to thank for that.

"Let's get a drink too," Molly said linking her arm through Owen's. They followed Seth and Jennifer towards the bar.

7:33:43

Sharon Brenner and her mother, the Sarah Kingsley, were sitting together at a table. Owen Sr. was over at the bar deep in conversation with his son, no doubt imparting some words of wisdom on how to keep the peace in one's family. Molly and Stacey were sitting together, laughing like school girls sharing a private joke. Each had a cocktail in hand and every so often their gaze would drift to one Brian Kinney. Brian's radar, ever acute, knew that he was the topic of conversation and possibly the brunt of many a joke. He tried to maintain his composure as he caught the two women giggling. He let a flaring death glare fly in their direction, only to elicit louder guffaws. Justin went to his side in an attempt to soothe the ruffled feathers.

"Don't bother wasting any death glares on those two, Bri." Justin indicated his sister and Owen's cousin. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck. "It's a lost cause." Justin gave his spouse a discreet kiss. Brian sighed pitifully then leaned his forehead against Justin's.

"When did I lose it?" Brian asked forlornly.

"I hate to be the one who tells you this, but when it comes to the women in our family, you never had it," Justin said with a small smile. Brian just nodded against Justin's forehead. "Don't worry, big guy, the death glare still works on Ted." Justin conveniently left out the part that the infamous death glare held little threat to their immediate family. They all know how generous and loving Brian was toward them.

"I hope we won't have to put up with that all night long at the reception," Sarah commented to her daughter. "They're nice enough and very polite, but I don't think it's appropriate around the children." Sharon Brenner said nothing to contradict her mother. She wasn't sure if Sarah was truly aware that the flower girl and ring bearer's parents were gay.

"Oh, and Sharon dear, I've arranged for a very special treat for the wedding dance," Sarah said proudly.

"Mother, you know that Owen and Molly have picked out their own music and arranged for a disc jockey."

"I know, dear, and believe me, I am not looking forward to that horrid screeching that passes for music these days. We're Kingsleys and I will not allow the first dance to be done to some rock and roll caterwauling. No, it will be classical music, something befitting our place in society. Besides, I'm paying for it." Sarah would brook no argument and Sharon would never try.

"And what are you ladies conspiring about?" Owen Sr. asked as he came over to their table and sat next to his wife.

"Nothing really, Owen dear, but can you perhaps tell me a little about that man," Sarah asked.

"Which man, Mother Sarah?"

"That one, sitting with Justin Taylor."

"You mean his partner, that's Brian Kinney."

"Should I know the name?"

"Only if you need publicity or advertising to be done. His company is the number one advertising agency in Pittsburgh. His branch in Los Angeles also handles many national accounts and he's recently opened a branch in New York."

"Is that the company Stacey joined?" Sharon asked her husband.

"Yes it is, and from what I hear, she's making quite a name for herself and for Kinnetik. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian made Stacey a full partner."

"Can he do that?" Sarah asked. "Does he have the authority?"

"Brian is the creator and owner of Kinnetik. He can do whatever he damn pleases," Owen tried to explain.

"What a shame he's not married. He does seem to know how to carry himself. I'm sure he would have married the right sort of person." Owen didn't bother to correct his mother-in-law. After all these years, he knew which battles to fight. "And just how successful is he?"

"Mother Sarah," Owen began, trying to hide his impatience with his mother-in-law, "if Brian Kinney wanted, he could buy and sell us ten times over. Now if you'll excuse me, I need a refill," Owen said as he waved his empty glass. He got up to go to the bar.

7:41:19

"Sharon, Sarah, I'd like you to meet Seth Harris," Jennifer said as she led her date over to the Brenner's table.

"Oh," Sharon said with a little humph. She hadn't expected Jennifer to come with anyone. Even though there was space for a guest to accompany Molly's mother, no confirmation of a guest had been made. "I wasn't aware you would be bringing a date." Her voice dripped with disapproval.

"I should have let you know, but I wasn't sure until today if Seth was going to be able to make it."

Seth winked at Jennifer and played along. The two Brenner women looked disapprovingly at them.

"Lovely to meet you, ladies," Seth said bowing his head in implied deference to them. "Let's get back to our table," he said taking Jennifer's hand and leading her away.

"Where do you suppose he came from?" Sharon asked.

"I don't know," Sarah replied. "But I wouldn't mind finding someone like that."

"Mother!" Sharon said in surprise and shock. Mothers weren't supposed to say things like that. At least not hers!

7:52:09

"You look like you need that," Brian commented to Owen Sr. as he waited for his drink. The bartender was flirting shamelessly with Brian. Brian grunted out a 'not interested.'

"Yes, well, I love my mother-in-law..."

"But…?"

"Yes, but." Owen took a good long pull of his beer. "They're probably griping that I'm having a beer instead of a martini. Quick frankly, I'm not fond of gin. I'd rather have a Guinness." Brian chuckled. "Any luck with Craig?" Owen was aware of the situation.

"No, the stupid fuck. Damn, that man brings out the worst in me." Brian gave Owen Sr. an apologetic look.

"No need to explain. I got the abridged version from Molly and Junior. I don't know how Craig can remain so prejudiced in this day and age and in this city. I mean, Justin..."

"You're preaching to the choir. Craig can put up with Justin; it's me, he despises. He believes I turned Justin against him and nothing we do will ever change his mind."

"That's a shame. In all other respects, he's a good man. But I've seen it happen before. He will die a lonely old man." Brian and Owen Sr. clinked glasses as they looked around the room, grateful for their families.

7:59:57

"What do you want?" Craig growled into his phone.

"For you to pull your head out of your ass and do your duty as father of the bride," Brian growled back, unintimidated. He had nothing to lose. "You've already lost your son, you're losing your daughter as we speak, and you'll lose Briana too if you keep this shit up."

"Why do you care about what I'm losing?"

"I don't give a shit about you, you stupid twat. I do care about Justin, Molly and Jennifer. Bree's still young enough; she won't miss you like Molly and Justin do. Jennifer cares that you're going to miss the most important day of Molly's life."

Craig snorted.

"I was going to bargain with you, offer to stay away from the wedding, but my daughter needs me to be there for her. All those strangers scare her, but she has the courage to face her fears to fulfill her promise to be flower girl. Are you man enough to be father of the bride?" Brian cut the connection before Craig could answer.

Chapter 11 - 8:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



8:03:21

The main course of the dinner was finally being served. Salad had just been cleared. Bree was getting sleepy. It was already her bedtime and they hadn't even eaten. Justin Brian, John and Bobby were sitting at a table with their children. They were all getting more than a little annoyed with the slow service. They had children to look after.

"What the fuck is the matter with these people?" Brian demanded to know. "At this rate we'll finish our dinners at fucking midnight."

"I'm sure the service is just leisurely," Justin said trying to make the affair seem nicer. He knew Brian was ticked and so were John and Bobby.

"Leisurely my ass!" Brian reacted. "I think we should just take Bree home."

"But…" Justin began. "I guess you could go with her. I have to stay and make my toast." Justin looked slightly upset that his immediate family might leave him all alone.

"It's about fucking time!" Brian said as the waitress set down his dinner in front of him. "I'm sorry, Sunshine," Brian said kissing Justin's temple. "We won't abandon you. At least not just yet."

"Thanks," Justin said with a sigh. He began cutting up some of the roast beef for Bree.

"Maybe if Bree gets some food, she'll get a second wind," John said.

"What's a second wind?" Patrick asked with a giggle. "Is that like farts?"

"Patrick!" Bobby said sternly. Then everyone at the table giggled.

"Patrick said 'farts'," Bree laughed.

"Yes, he did. Let's hope he only talks about them and doesn't make any," Brian told his daughter. She seemed to be perking up a bit after a few bites of food. "When will these fucking speeches start?"

"After the main course. They usually do them during dessert," Bobby supplied.

"To make them sweeter?" John asked with his tongue in cheek.

"Probably so we don't throw up the roast beef," Justin laughed. The beef certainly wasn't the best he had ever had.

"I hope Emmett has a better dinner for the fucking wedding feast," Brian stated.

"You know Emm's food will be delicious," Justin replied.

"That man sure knows how to cook," Bobby agreed.

"But I have other attributes, right?" John asked when that sounded a little too much like Bobby was a little too interested in Emmett.

"You have the most important attribute of all," Bobby said with a smile. "I love you and you love me."

"Here comes the roast beef," Brian joked.

"Shut up, Brian!" they all chorused.

"Dada, why they tell you to shut up?" Bree asked with a frown.

"They don't know a good joke when they hear one."

"I know jokes," Bree stated.

"That's my Squirt."

"Love you, Dada," Bree said throwing her arms up for Brian to hold her. How could he refuse?

8:19:42

"Hey Babe, where are you?" Drew called out as he entered their apartment. He dumped his bags by the door then locked up the loft for the night.

"In here, honey!" Emmett called out from the bathroom. He had been in the tub all night long. As the water went cold he'd drain some out then fill it with more hot. His favorite aromatic bath salts were within reach. He'd renewed the scent with each tub refill.

"Babe," Drew said as he bent low to give Emmett a long kiss. Emmett pleasantly sighed, feeling so much better now that his Drewsie was home. "How long have you been in the tub?" Drew asked, noting that the tips of Emmett's toes were beyond pruned.

"I don't know, hours, perhaps," Emmett drawled.

Drew made himself comfortable on the toilet seat, sensing an Emmett saga. "You want to tell me about it?"

"Nothing to tell, really. I got a little miffed earlier this afternoon." Emmett left out the parts where he nearly trashed his bistro. "And now the problem is solved. I thought I'd have a nice long bath to soothe away the tension." Drew was not thoroughly convinced but he took what Emmett was saying at face value.

"Well, then," Drew began as he stood up. "You finish your bath, and I'll rustle up some sandwiches for us. We can have a picnic then have an early night. You're going to be one busy event planner tomorrow."

Emmett smiled lovingly at his man. "I love you so much, Drew Boyd."

"I love you too, Babe, even if you are looking like a raisin." Drew sprinted out of the bathroom as Emmett hurled a sponge at him. "That's some right arm you got there, Babe. You sure you don't want me to arrange a try-out for you?" Drew called out as he chuckled.

"Fuck you, Drew Boyd!" Emmett yelled from the tub, luxuriating for a few more seconds.

"Anytime, Babe!"

8:42:01

"Ladies and Gentlemen, honored guests," Owen Sr. said standing and tapping on his glass to get everyone's attention.

Dessert was mercifully being served. Bree was asleep in Brian's arms, and Patrick was doing his best not to give in to sleep. He was leaning against John but trying to keep his eyes open.

"I'd like to thank all of you who are part of the wedding party, and especially those of you who have made the journey from out of town, to come help us celebrate this wonderful day. And tomorrow will be even better," Owen Sr. said with a big grin.

"Yeah, better," Brian said snarkily.

"Sh," Justin warned him.

Owen Sr. droned on introducing various people including Stacey who blushed appropriately at the kind words her uncle had to say about her. Owen Sr. continued on introducing family members, all of whom received glowing comments about their role in the Brenner family history. He finally mentioned that the flower girl had apparently had enough of them and the celebrations, and had drifted off into dreamland.

"Yeah," Brian griped. "We won't tell him that she's comatose from all the sugary words flowing from his sickeningly sweet speech."

"Brian," Justin warned. Bobby and John were trying not to laugh. Patrick was leaning against Bobby's arm half asleep.

"Well, without further ado, I would like to present the young man who will have the honor of giving away the beautiful Molly to my son tomorrow. Molly's charming brother, Justin Taylor, and the father of the sleeping flower girl."

Everyone laughed as Justin stood up and straightened his tie before heading to the front to get the microphone from Owen.

"Make it short and sweet, Sunshine," Brian ordered before Justin left the table.

Justin smiled and went to the front of the room. He took the microphone from Owen. "Good evening, everyone," he said. "I've been asked to say a few words on behalf of the Taylor family. I'd like to thank family and friends for being here tonight, and attending the wedding tomorrow. We appreciate your love and support over the years. My mother will be a sobbing mess after the ceremony tomorrow, but tonight she's one proud mama. And I'm one proud brother. I know how much Owen loves my sister. We couldn't ask for a better choice in a husband for Molly. Molly is a strong willed young lady, as those of us who know her well are very aware. But she's also a very smart and courageous young woman. I'm proud to call her my sister and tomorrow I will be proud to call Owen my brother. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening, and I'll see you at the wedding tomorrow."

There was warm applause as Justin went over to kiss Molly's cheek and shake Owen's hand. He spoke briefly to Owen Sr., Sharon and her mother. Then he went to Jennifer's table and kissed her cheek.

Once all that was done he walked back to Brian and Bree. "Let's get the fuck out of here. I want to go home," he whispered into Brian's ear and they promptly left the building.

Chapter 12 - 9:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



9:16:07

"Is she down?" Justin asked Brian as he walked into their bedroom.

"Down and out for the count," Brian quipped as he stripped off his suit.

"It's a lot of hard work rehearsing to be a flower girl," Justin added, as he tossed his clothes into a laundry bag.

"Yes, it is, not to mention all the flirting. She must get that from you," Brian snarked as he went into the bathroom.

"Me? What about the bartender?" Justin followed Brian into the shower.

"What about him?" Brian turned on the spray, adjusting the temperature to suit his partner.

"He was coming onto you and in front of Mr. Brenner!"

"What of it? I told him I wasn't interested, and Owen Sr. couldn't have cared less. He was too busy telling me about his mother-in-law problems." Brian poured some of Justin's favorite body wash onto a sponge and began to gently wash his lover's skin.

"That Sarah Kingsley is something else. She cornered me by the dessert cart and began to interrogate me about some of my work."


"She didn't criticize it, did she?" Brian got that angry look to his eyes. Justin immediately kissed Brian's neck to soothe him.

"No, apparently an acquaintance in her little circle of society ladies has started a Justin Taylor collection. Sarah's nose is out of joint because she doesn't have any of my paintings."

"Please don't tell me you offered to paint something for her," Brian grumbled. Brian was firm in his convictions that Justin should be paid the appropriate commission for his masterpieces.

"Easy there, big fella." Justin added a few more nips to Brian chest and chin. "I pointed her in the direction of Sidney's gallery and left it at that."

"Good," Brian mumbled into the nape of Justin's neck then slipped a slicked finger into Justin's pliant and willing hole. "Want you," Brian murmured. Justin had looked so handsome and sophisticated in his suit tonight. Brian was hard all night long.

"You have me," Justin whispered as he leaned back onto his lover's hard member. Brian thrust then waited as they both grew accustomed to the feeling. "Love you so much," Justin murmured as Brian nibbled his earlobe. Brian grunted in agreement.

The lovers came together then held on, supporting each other as their breathing evened and they found their legs.

"Amazing," Brian whispered as he held Justin tightly to him. He felt Justin's smile.

9:29:38

"Is she finally asleep?" Lindsay asked Mel, as Melanie came down the stairs into the living room.

"Yes. I don't understand what's gotten into her lately," Mel said as she plopped herself onto the couch next to Lindsay.

"Mel, JR is eleven," Lindsay said, stating the obvious.

"Yeah, so?" Melanie hadn't a clue. Lindsay gave her an incredulous look.

"Oh for heaven's sake, hormones, Mel! She's becoming a woman."

"But she's only a little girl."

"Have you taken a good look at her lately? Haven't you noticed that both our children are growing up? Gus is sixteen, he's already looking at colleges, and JR is wearing a training bra."

"Where the fuck have I been?"

"Not here with your children, obviously. Melanie, when was the last time we went away together as a family?"

"I don't know. Did we ever go away together?"

"No, we haven't and that's my point. We need time together as a family."

"But my work..."

"I have work too, you know, but I can plan some time off. And if you love us, you'll plan some time off too." Lindsay launched herself off the couch then went up the stairs to their room.

"Well, fuck me," Mel said to herself as she picked herself up off the couch and went up to make nice to Lindsay.


09:33:18

"Hey Baby, anything good on?" Ben strolled through the living room as Michael was channel surfing. It was the last day of the semester and Ben had to post all of his students' grades.

"No, not really, just a lot of old movies."

"They're classic movies, Michael, not old." 'It's a Wonderful Life' was about to begin. Michael changed the channel, 'A Miracle on 34th Street,' was on. Michael sighed.

"I'm not in the mood for movies, old or classic," Michael grumbled.

"Then what are you in the mood for?" Ben's head was in their refrigerator, his muscular tight ass was high in the air. Michael slipped in behind him.

"This," Michael said as he rubbed his hand along Ben's rump. Ben stood and turned to face his spouse.

"Then let me stoke the furnace and you can have it," Ben winked at Michael. Michael smiled as he turned to go up to bed.

9:43:21

"Good night," Owen Sr. said to Jennifer and Seth. "I hope you both enjoyed everything this evening."

"It was lovely," Jennifer lied as she gave Owen a hug.

"Very nice," Seth said as he shook Owen Sr.'s hand while Jennifer gave Sharon Brenner a tentative hug.

"Molly, are you coming home with Seth and me?" Jennifer asked her daughter.

"We're going out for a drink," Molly stated, holding onto Owen Jr.'s arm.

"But you have a long day tomorrow, dear," Sharon said patting Molly's back.

"I need a drink … and some time alone with Owen. We're going for a drink," Molly repeated with resolve.

"Yes, Mother, we're going for a drink. We have until midnight to spend some time together," Owen agreed.

"And then the rest of life to … enjoy that time … together," Owen Sr. said, choosing his words carefully after the look his wife had just given him.

"Be home before midnight," Jennifer said as she donned her coat. "I'm sure Seth will make sure I get safely home."

"Absolutely," Seth said with a smile at his lovely date. He had enjoyed spending time with Jennifer Taylor all evening. Even though the night had dragged on, having Jennifer beside him had made it all bearable, enjoyable in fact.

"I'll see you when you get home," Jennifer said pointedly as she kissed Molly's cheek and then Owen's.

"Yes, Mother," Molly chuckled.

"Yes, Mother Taylor," Owen said in his best Brian Kinney impersonation.

Jennifer raised a brow, but then smiled warmly and gave Owen a hug. If he turned out to be half as good as her other son-in-law, she would have no complaints about Owen Brenner.

"Good night," everyone called as Jennifer and Seth then Molly and Owen made their way out of the country club.

"I think that was a lovely evening," Sharon Brenner said with a self-satisfied smile.

"Just peachy," Owen Sr. agreed.

"Let's get mother before she drinks whatever's left at the bar," Sharon said with a sigh.

"By all means." Owen followed her back to the bar to round up Sarah.

09:57:24

Seth pulled his car to a stop in the driveway of Jennifer's condo.

"I'm glad this evening is over," Jennifer said with a sigh.

"I hope I'm not the cause of that remark," Seth told her.

"Not at all," Jennifer said quickly. "You're the best part of the evening."

"The best part of an unenjoyable evening?" Seth pressed.

"Are you fishing for a compliment?"

"Maybe," Seth grinned.

"Thank you for rescuing me from single's hell this evening. I couldn't have asked for a better dinner partner. You were … great!"

"Thanks," Seth said with a smile. "Then I guess we're still on for tomorrow?"

"You better believe it."

"Good," Seth replied taking Jennifer's hand. "I really had a lovely time … with you."

Jennifer's smile almost matched the radiant ones that had earned her son the nickname of Sunshine. "I want to thank you for being so gallant, so kind."

"You don't have to thank me for anything. Just let me hope that we can spend some time together when the wedding is over."

"I'd like that."

"Good." Seth leaned forward and kissed Jennifer's cheek. When she didn't pull away, he allowed his lips to find hers in a warm but chaste kiss. "Good night, Jennifer. I'll see you in the morning."

"I'll be looking forward to that." Jennifer got out of the car and stood by the front door of her townhouse as she watched Seth drive away. She would definitely have to thank Brian for arranging her "date". She couldn't keep the smile from her face as she let herself inside.

Chapter 13 - 10:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



10:06:27

"Let's go to Woody's," Molly said all of a sudden.

"But you said we should go to The Filly and Firkin. That's the place we usually go," Owen said as he slowed the car, awaiting Molly's decision.

"Woody's would be fun."

"But isn't it a gay bar? Do we want to go there on the night before we're married?"

"What difference does it make?"

"None, I guess," Owen sighed. A gay bar wasn't exactly where he wanted to spend his time with his fiancée.

"Owen, I'm sorry," Molly said putting her hand on his arm. "There's Jake's; let's go there. It's … neutral ground."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," Molly smiled. "I just want to be alone with you and talk and unwind. This wedding is getting on my last nerve."

"Mine too."

Owen pulled the car into the lot beside Jake's.

"You would have gone to Woody's if that was where I really wanted to go, wouldn't you?" Molly asked before Owen could open the door of the car.

"Haven't you learned yet that I'd go anywhere you asked me to go? Just as long as you're there with me," Owen added before leaning over and kissing Molly heatedly.

"Stop, or we won't make it back to Mom's before midnight," Molly laughed as Owen finally ended the kiss.

"God, I want you," Owen groaned.

"Patience, my darling. You shall have me tomorrow, all legal and above board."

"I might miss the down and dirty stuff," Owen laughed as he helped Molly out of the car.

"Oh, I promise that there'll always be some down and dirty stuff in our relationship," Molly giggled.

"That's my girl," Owen smiled, as he flung his arm around Molly's shoulders. They walked towards the door of the pub. "I love you, you know."

"I know," Molly said kissing his cheek. "And I love you right back."

10:10:46

Justin and Brian were ensconced in their bed at the loft. They had fucked twice in the shower before the water started to turn cold. Afterwards they had dried each other, along with a little suitable necking before exiting the bathroom. They had crawled into bed, each with a book and a tall drink that Brian had made them.

"Who would have thought that we would be in bed before ten-thirty on a Friday night?" Brian asked with a sneer in his voice. "We really are getting old."

"We are not!" Justin declared. "We just have other responsibilities now."

"Yeah, responsibilities."

"Do you want to go to Babylon?"

"Babylon? Why would I want to go there?" Brian asked.

"You sounded like you were hating your life. I thought maybe you were looking to renew some of your past glories."

"Past glories … the operative word being 'past'. Why would I go to Babylon when the guys there now would be the same age as my son?"

"Gus isn't old enough to get into Babylon," Justin told him.

"Neither was I, the first time. Or you, for that matter."

"True," Justin chuckled. "That was a long time ago. I went there looking for you."

"And I believe you found me."

"Yeah, I did."

"Took me away from some guy."

"Did my best."

"You were a tenacious little twat."

"That's what I'm best at."

"One of the most effective Taylor traits," Brian chuckled.

"Except when my father uses it," Justin said with a sigh. He couldn't help but wish his father would have given in, lost some of that Taylor tenacity, and agreed to walk Molly down the aisle. But it didn't seem to be in the cards for tomorrow.

"Let's not talk about that asshole."

"Okay, I wonder what Moll and Owen are doing right now?" Justin asked.

"Fucking."

"Brian!?"

"What? If they have any sense, that's what they'll be doing."

"My sister is not fucking her husband-to-be. She'll wait until tomorrow … like a dutiful bride."

Brian snorted. "Since when did Molly become a dutiful anything? She's got spunk … and a mind of her own. If she wants to fuck Owen tonight, she will."

"Stop it. I don't want to hear this," Justin said covering his ears with his hands.

Brian stayed quiet and waited until Justin removed them from his ears. "I bet that's what your mother and Seth are doing too."

"Eeieew! You are so gross!"

"And that's why you love me," Brian declared with a chuckle.

"A small part of why I love you, you big Smoosh."

"Capital 'S'?"

"You bet, big guy." Justin flung his arms around Brian's neck and kissed him hard. He could feel the result of the kiss against his groin where he had rolled on top of his husband. "Up for another one."

"I'm not dead yet, Sunshine. But we need to be quiet and not wake the Squirt."

"She did so good at the rehearsal after you talked to her. Do you think she'll be all right tomorrow?"

"She will be. But I don't want to talk about our daughter with you sprawled across my lap."

"What do you want to do?"

"Shut up and I'll show you."

Brian did just that.

10:24:48

"What the fuck is that?" Brian asked Justin as he glared at the wall. He could feel a subtle vibration coming up from the floor. Justin was impaled on Brian's dick, for the moment.

"Um, Bri, this isn't the time to ask me questions," Justin panted then leaned forward to kiss Brian's mouth. Anything to get Brian to concentrate on the job at hand, so to speak. Brian focused back onto Justin's bouncing butt. They came together in a chorus of muffled grunts and groans. Justin collapsed onto Brian's chest.

"Mmm, always explosive with you, Sunshine."

Justin mumbled something unintelligible as he began to fall asleep cuddled against Brian's chest. Brian began to reach down to cover them with the duvet. The vibrating started up again. "What the hell?"

Brian eased himself out of bed, careful not to wake Justin who had fallen into a sated sleep. Brian threw on his jeans and quietly padded down the bedroom steps. He took a peek a Bree who was fast asleep on the futon, surrounded by her stuffed dolls. The rumbling grew louder as Brian approached the loft door.

10:37:02

"Brian! Um, what brings you here?" Ted sputtered as he opened his door only to find a very angry looking, half naked Brian Kinney leaning against his threshold. Allen was banging away on his drums.

Brian remained silent as he glared at Ted then flicked his gaze toward the offending racket.

"Ah, well, you're usually not here when Allen is practicing." Brian narrowed his eyes making Ted tremble in fear. "Allen, how much longer?" Ted yelled above the drum roll. The concert reached its inevitable conclusion and then it was all silence.

"All done, snookums!" Allen called back. "Cum and get it," he sing-songed at his lover. Ted began to blush from his toes on up. He slowly began to roll his door shut.

"Good night, Bri, ah, Brian, um, Boss," Teddy said meekly as he smiled his thin lipped smile.

Brian grunted as he turned to go back to his own loft. Hearing Teddy sigh with relief, Brian grinned. As Brian reached his own door he began to giggle madly.

"Snookums?"

Return to 24


Chapter 14 - 11:00 PM 12.16.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



11:12:07

Molly and Owen came out of Jake's and headed for the car. They had had a couple of drinks and plenty of time to talk. Molly felt much better about the impending wedding. As long as the outcome of tomorrow was the beginning of her life with Owen, she could put up with all the society crap and oneupmanship that seemed to be running rampant around the whole event.

Owen opened the door of the car for his soon to be wife. "I love you, Molly," he whispered before he kissed her.

"I love you too, sweet thing," Molly whispered as she got into the car.

Owen started the motor and cranked up the heat. It was a cold December night. "Why did we decide to get married in December?" he asked her, as he shivered in his seat.

"Because I get to wear fur around the neck of my wedding gown," Molly giggled.

"I knew there had to be a good reason," Owen chuckled. "You're going to be the most beautiful woman in the whole wide world tomorrow."

"What about right now?"

"W…What?" Owen stammered.

"If I'm going to be the most beautiful tomorrow, what am I right now?" Molly asked. She had the sudden urge to give someone a hard time, and Owen was very handy.

"You'll always be the most beautiful woman in the world to me," Owen said staring into her eyes and squeezing her hand.

"Right thing to say," she said with a smile. "That's why I love you."

"Now, aren't you supposed to tell me that I'm the handsomest man in the whole wide world?" Owen joked.

Molly frowned. "You're a very handsome man, but I think Brian gets the honor of handsomest."

"Brian! What the fuck?" Owen was shocked.

"Don't you know that all the handsomest men are gay? I wouldn't want you to fall into that category, if it meant you were gay. I want you all for my little self."

"Well … okay," Owen said somewhat mollified. "Why do you think Brian Kinney is so handsome?"

"Because he is. Nobody would guess he's gay."

"Until they saw him kissing Justin."

"That's right, and then they would all know. He would make that abundantly clear. Will you do that, Owen? Make it abundantly clear that you love me. I love you."

"I will. You know that, Molly. I love you so much. But I think I better get you home. You've obviously had more than enough to drink."

"I have not. I could drink ten more drinks without any problem," Molly declared.

"And then you could throw up all during the wedding. Is that what you want?"

"What I want is … is for the wedding to be over, and us to be married."

"Me too, sweetheart," Owen said as he pulled her into his arms.

"Take me home, Owen, before I get weepy. Can I call you tonight if I can't sleep?"

Owen started the car and pulled away. "You can always call me. We could still elope … if that's what you want."

"It's what I want, but it's not what I'm going to do. I'm going to dazzle them with my beauty and poise and charm."

"And I'll be the most dazzled of them all. I love you."

"I love you too."

11:34:18

Craig Taylor was lying on the sofa in his living room, feeling sorry for himself. Susan was still locked in the bedroom. He had tried to talk to her, but she had refused to answer, even through the door. Finally he had switched on the TV and had spent the last few hours trying to find something interesting to watch.

Suddenly Craig heard the door to the bedroom open. He sat up quickly and held his breath. Maybe Susan was going to forgive him. She always did. He hated the thought of having to sleep on the couch.

Susan Taylor walked through the living room and into the kitchen. She didn't even glance in his direction. That was not a good sign.

Craig waited, expecting her to come out of the kitchen with a glass of water or milk. Nothing happened. After a few minutes he stood up and ventured into the kitchen. He found Susan sitting at the kitchen table eating some cheese and crackers. He wanted to say something, but not knowing what that might be, he decided to get a beer out of the fridge. He popped the top and took a drink. Susan ignored him. Finally he couldn't stand it any longer. He had to speak.

"Susan, I'm sorry."

Susan sat in stony silence refusing to answer.

"Susan, please."

"What do you expect me to say, Craig? That I forgive you. Well, I don't."

"I really am sorry, but I can't go to the wedding. I just can't."

"Fine," Susan said icily. "I see no point in discussing this further."

Craig sighed and went to sit down at the table with his wife. At least she had finally spoken, even if it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"I don't want to speak to you, Craig, but you might as well have this. Bree wanted me to give it to you," Susan said.

"What is it?" Craig asked, as Susan pulled a piece of paper from under her plate.

"Bree made this for you before she left today. Maybe you can learn something from your granddaughter." Susan stood up, prepared to go back and lock herself in the bedroom once again.

"Wait, Susan, stay. Stay with me while I read this."

"What difference will it make?"

"I don't know," Craig admitted. "But please, just stay."

With a sigh Susan sat back down and watched as Craig picked up the paper. He looked at the front. It was a big heart with the word Gampa printed inside, or as close to inside as Bree had managed to get it with her unwieldy letters.

"Did she make this herself?" Susan nodded. "All by herself?"

"I helped her a little bit, but the front is mostly hers."

Craig smiled. I like that she put me inside the heart. What are these rows of colors?"

"A rainbow."

"With black and brown?" Craig asked with a smile.

"She said she makes those special rainbows for all her special people. She loves you," Susan said flatly.

"I … I love her too."

"Just not her fathers."

Craig shook his head. It always came back to that.

"Open it," Susan ordered. "Bree dictated what she wanted to say. I wrote it for her."

Dear Gampa,

I love you and I want you to see me be the flower girl. I practise real hard. I be the best flower girl for Auntie Molly. Please come see me. Auntie Molly wants you there too. And so do my daddies.

Love, Bree

Bree was printed in his granddaughter's distinctive style.

"She said all that?" he asked his wife.

"Yes, every word. I didn't change anything."

"She's really something."

"Yes, she is, but if you're not there tomorrow, she may no longer think you are her special Gampa. She may decide that her love is misplaced, just like I'm beginning to decide," Susan said, standing once again.

"Susan…"

"Don't, Craig. Don't say anything to me, unless it's that you're going to walk Molly down the aisle. I don't want to hear anything else from you."

Susan placed her empty plate in the sink and left the kitchen. Craig could hear the bedroom door close and he was sure he even heard the lock click. He almost wished she had slammed the door. The silent finality of that lock click was almost more than he could bear.


Chapter 15 - 12:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



12:05:49

"Poppa?" Patrick called out from his bed. The Anderson-Morrison family had decided to stay at the Plaza instead of camping out at Brian's loft. They were pleasantly ensconced in one of the suites Kinnetik retained. Patrick had done a bang up job at the rehearsal but was having difficulty sleeping in the strange bed.

"Patrick, what's the matter?" Bobby awakened at the sound of his son's distressed voice.

"Can't sleep," Patrick answered quietly.

"Want to sleep with us?" Bobby asked as he raised a corner of the blanket. Patrick didn't answer, but Bobby could hear his son scramble out of his bed and shuffle across the floor to theirs. He crawled up the side of their bed and in between his dads. "Better?" Bobby asked as he drew the covers back over them.

"Yes, Poppa," Patrick said with a wide yawn. Bobby chuckled then kissed the top of Patrick's head. Patrick was asleep before Bobby settled back on his pillow.

"Everything okay?" John asked with a low rumble.

"S'fine. He had trouble sleeping in a strange bed."

"Mmm, I know how he feels. I miss our bed too."

"Shh, go to sleep; we have a long day tomorrow."

"Okay. Love you," John murmured as he snuggled closer to his son and spouse. He reached over with his long arm, hugging them both close.

"I love you, too," Bobby murmured back as he snuggled into his husband's embrace.

The Anderson-Morrison family went back to sleep for the night.

12:22:18

"Mom? Why are you still up?" Molly asked Jennifer. Molly had gotten back and immediately went to her room to change into a comfortable sweatshirt and pants. She came down to the kitchen where she found Jennifer heating up a small pot of milk.

"I'm too excited to sleep. Thought some warm milk would help."

"Is there enough for me?" Molly took a look into the pot then went to get a carton of milk from the fridge to add to the pot.

"Everything okay, sweetheart?"

"I'm better, now. I decided to take Brian's advice." Jennifer wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Her indecision must have played across her face. Molly started to laugh.

"What advice?" Jennifer asked trying to be nonchalant.

"He told me to behave myself and then fuck them all, but only after the gift checks cleared," Molly told her mother with a straight face. Mother and daughter cracked up with laughter then hugged.

"I'm so proud of you, Molly. I hope you know that. I know when you were little, when your brother got hurt, I wasn't always there for you. You didn't deserve that." Jennifer felt tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

"Justin didn't deserve to get bashed. You did the best you could do at the time and I never felt neglected or slighted. I love you, Mom, and I'm proud of you too."

"Me? What did I do?"

"You held our family together and even though it was so hard for you, you knew when to let go."

Jennifer stared at her daughter for a moment before she spoke. "You mean Justin."

"Yes. I know I was a little girl when that mess happened, but I remember how hurt and confused he was and how helpless you were."

"Oh Molly..."

"It's okay, Mom; it all worked out as it should. Justin is so happy with Brian. They love each other so much. They could be together 24/7, attached by the hip, or the di..."

"Molly!"

"You know what I mean. Most people need a break from their partner, once in a while but not my brother and Brian. I think they hurt when they're separated, like they've lost a part of themselves. They are truly whole when they're together."

"You make it sound unhealthy."

"Not at all. It's not like they can't function. Brian remains a killer in his business, and Justin's a star in his, but there's something about them when they're together. I almost envy them."

Jennifer nodded at that, she couldn't deny it. "What about you and Owen?"

"Nothing as dramatic as my brother and Brian..."

"Thank God for that."

"But it's good, Mom, very good. I love him, I'm in love with him. And I feel loved and cherished by him, even though I drive him crazy sometimes."

"Must be a Taylor thing. Your father drove me crazy and I'm surprised Brian isn't completely gray or bald by now. Justin can be very pig-headed." Molly shook her head in agreement, then she yawned. "Time for bed, young lady. The limo will be here by nine."

"Yes, Mom," Molly sing-songed.

Mother and daughter went about rinsing their mugs and double checking the doors. Then they went to bed.

12:38:41

"Susan, are you awake?"

Craig Taylor stood at the door to his wife's bedroom. He had watched as much television as he could stomach. He had covered himself with the afghan and tried to sleep on the couch, but he couldn't rest. All he could think about were his wife's words and Briana's card. He felt like his world was crumbling around him, and standing in the center gloating, was Brian Kinney. That was what he saw every time he closed his eyes.

"Susan?" he repeated. There was no answer. Either she was asleep or she refused to answer him. Probably it was the latter. She had sounded like she intended to divorce him. Craig wasn't sure he could stand another break-up. The one with Jennifer had taken so much out of him. And it all stemmed from his son's homosexuality and that pervert who had corrupted Justin.

Giving up on trying to get Susan to open the bedroom door, Craig went back to the couch. He sat down, resting his elbows on his knees. He held his head and felt like crying. He couldn't remember the last time he had cried. Maybe it had been the day that Justin had told him he was gay. That had been the day he had hit his son. And after his anger had faded, Craig had cried, cried for all his lost dreams for his son, cried because he would never have the normal family he wanted for his son. And yet his son had turned out to be happy with that pervert who had stuck with him all these years. Craig found it hard to believe that Kinney could have committed to his son for all this time. It just wasn't right or normal.

And then there was Briana, his beautiful granddaughter. Craig picked up her card that he had laid on the coffee table. He looked at the heart she had drawn surrounding "Gampa", and her unique rainbow with the black and brown streak. Briana was one of a kind. She was an amazing little girl. He opened the card and reread the words that she had dictated to Susan. He so wanted to go to the wedding and see Briana be the flower girl.

And more than that, he wanted to be there to see his lovely Molly. He wanted to walk her down the aisle and hand her over to the man she loved, the man who would cherish her and look after her long after Craig was gone. He wanted to be part of his family once more.

Craig closed his eyes and a tear slid down his cheek. The next thing he knew he was picturing Brian Kinney laughing at him. Kinney would be at the wedding, and Craig wouldn't. He hated that thought, but what else could he do but refuse to attend.

With a shuddering sigh, he laid down on the couch, threw the afghan across his legs, and flicked on the TV. That way he could pretend to be watching and not have to close his eyes.


Chapter 16 - 1:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



1:15:42

"Babe, what are you doing?"

Emmett was sitting at the kitchen table in the loft where Drew found him.

"Just checking a few things."

"Checking? Checking what?" Drew asked as he sat down beside his partner.

"I want everything to be perfect for Molly."

"I know you do, Emmett, and Molly knows that you will make everything perfect." Drew took Emmett's hand and rubbed his finger along the back of it.

"It will only be perfect if I remember everything. I can't allow anything to go wrong, so I'm going over my lists," Emmett explained.

"You've done hundreds of these events. They all turn out great. What are you worried about?"

Emmett sighed. "This is different. This is for friends. And Molly won't have her Dad there to walk her down the aisle. So I want everything else to be absolutely right."

"You can't make up for Craig Taylor being an asshole, Emmett, no matter how perfect everything is."

"I can try."

"Babe, come back to bed. You're going to make yourself sick, and that won't help Molly."

"I need to…"

"No, you don't. Come to bed, now."

Emmett sighed. He knew Drew was right. He needed his sleep or he wouldn't be in his best form for the wedding. "Make love to me, Drew. Maybe then I'll be able to sleep."

"You got it. Come on." Drew took Emmett's hand in his and led his partner back to bed.

1:24:02

Craig Taylor jerked in his sleep. He had finally dowsed off. And there was Brian Kinney with that smug look on his face staring back at him.

Craig sat up with a start and opened his eyes. He was in his condo on the couch, his wife locked in the bedroom. His whole family hated him. Nothing had changed since the last time he had been awake. How the fuck was he supposed to get through this interminable night?

The TV was still on, some fucking infomercial. He quickly changed the channel trying to at least find some sports or an old movie he could watch. He knew he couldn't sleep.

1:37:43

Craig kept flipping channels, finding nothing to watch, nothing to stop the myriad of thoughts running through his mind, nor the sinking feeling that in less than twenty-four short hours, Craig Taylor would lose everything he held dear.

As he pressed the buttons on the remote, a story on Pittsburgh's local channel caught his attention. The newscaster was the society editor. Apparently Molly's wedding had made the society pages. Soon Craig Taylor's family would be linked to the Kingsleys of Pittsburgh and of Philadelphia. The reporter went on, giving a brief history of the Kingsley family and how they dated back to the founding fathers. There were several photos of Sarah Kingsley, her daughter Sharon Brenner and Owen Sr. The reporter then went on to give a brief synopsis of Owen Jr., including his college days at Dartmouth and when he joined his father's firm.

Craig cringed. Owen Jr. sounded exactly like the son he had hoped Justin would have turned out to be.

The editor continued his report, stating Owen Jr. would marry Molly Taylor, daughter of Craig Taylor and his former wife Jennifer AND sister to Justin Taylor, Pittsburgh's hottest and most sought after artist. The Sidney Bloom Gallery was filmed, along with several of Justin's paintings, past and present. The reporter then gave a brief biography on Justin, including the bashing.

Craig watched intently as amateur footage taken by some kids at Justin's prom, showed Justin bloodied, unconscious and being loaded onto the ambulance. A blood spattered and anguished Brian Kinney was caught on camera. The video cut to pictures of the hospital. The reporter smugly announced the never seen before footage of one of Pittsburgh's prominent citizens, Brian Kinney of Kinnetik, sitting in the waiting room, tears and blood staining his face. The video then cut to Brian and Justin's commitment ceremony, the Rage movie opening and the fundraising gala where Brian stood proudly next to Justin, as Justin gave an interview. More footage of the paintings Justin did for the auction and his 'Old Masters' was run next.

Craig half listened while the editor droned on about Justin Taylor, the artist. Craig couldn't take his eyes off of Brian. The unmistakable signs of a man hopelessly in love were written all over Brian's face, and there was something more that Craig couldn't place. Every so often throughout the interview, Justin's eyes would seek out Brian's. It wasn't hero worship as Craig had always suspected on Justin's part, nor Justin seeking reassurance. The interview had ended but before the camera cut, it caught a candid moment between his son and Brian. Justin smiled brightly at Brian as he waggled a finger in front of Brian's nose. Brian rolled his eyes then laughed. Cut to a commercial.

It hit Craig like a ton of bricks, and Craig began to giggle uncontrollably. Justin had Brian wrapped around his finger. The finger that was pointing at Brian was a warning telling Brian to behave himself. That mischievous little warning that passes between lovers, between partners, spouses, husbands and wives.

"Fucking hell! They are married, more married than half the couples I know." At almost two, the morning of the day of his daughter's wedding, Craig Taylor finally got it.

"Gampa, you love Daddy?"

"Yes."

"You love me?"

"Yes, sweetheart, with all my heart."

"Then you hafta love my Dada."

"I'll try, Briana, I'll try."

Craig's laughter abruptly ended as he recalled Bree's conversation. He picked Bree's card up off the table and re-read the passage inside.

Then Brian's words echoed in his head:

"I don't give a shit about you, you stupid twat. I do care about Justin, Molly and Jennifer. Bree's still young enough, she won't miss you like Molly and Justin do. Jennifer cares that you're going to miss the most important day of Molly's life."

"Are you man enough to be father of the bride?"

"Brian Kinney giving advice on how to be the father of the bride," Craig grumbled out loud. "I'll show him." Craig turned off the TV then flung the remote onto a nearby chair. He snuggled down into the sofa, wrapping the afghan around him. "I'll show Brian fucking Kinney." Craig closed his eyes and forced himself to sleep.


Chapter 17 - 2:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



2:11:02

Brian jumped in his sleep and opened an eye. There was some kind of noise that was insisting he pay attention to it. He managed to get both eyes open and realized that the portable phone on the nightstand was ringing. He had turned the volume down so that it wouldn't wake Bree if it rang. He should have turned the fucking thing off all together, but he had worried that Molly might have another meltdown and Jennifer might need to get in touch with him or Justin.

"What?" he said into the phone.

Justin rolled over and asked, "What's going on, Bri?"

"Nothing, I hope. Go back to sleep."

"Brian, Brian, is that you?" a female voice was saying into the phone.

"Yes, who is this?"

"It's Rachel. I'm so sorry to bother you at this time of night, but it's Beau. He's howling like a banshee and we can't get him to quiet down. I don't know what's wrong with him. I tried to call Bobby and John, but their cell phones go to voicemail, and I don't know where they're staying."

Brian got out of bed and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. Maybe Justin and Bree would stay asleep if he could be quiet. "It's all right, Rachel. Is Beau hurt?"

"No, nothing like that. He…he's been wandering from your house to ours and down to Emmett's and Drew's all night long. I tried to get him to come into our house and sleep inside, but he was having none of that. He whines and then runs back to your place. The last hour he has been howling like he's lost in the wilderness."

"Shit!" Brian said. "I never thought about it, but this is the first time that all of us have been away all night. Usually somebody is home by this time of night and he can settle as long as one or two of his pack are there."

"What am I going to do? We're not getting any sleep and he's getting more and more upset."

Brian could hear the fear in Rachel's voice. He knew she was worried about taking on the responsibility of looking after the dog while they were away, but none of them had envisioned her having to deal with this. They had thought she would just have to make sure Beau had food and water.

"I … I guess I could get dressed and drive out there," Brian said reluctantly. That was about the last thing he wanted to do. At that moment Brian could hear a long, mournful howl over the telephone line. "Fuck! Was that Beau?"

"Yes. Now you see what I'm up against."

"I'll be there as fast as I can," Brian said with a long sigh. "Wait, there's something else that we could try first. "I know this is a lot to ask. Could you or George walk over to the cottage? You have a key. Get the rope of socks that's on his cushion in the sun porch.

Bring it and Beau back to your place. That might be enough to settle him down."

"It's worth a try," Rachel said.

"Call me back one way or the other."

Brian went out into the bedroom. Justin opened an eye. "Everything all right?"

"Yeah, go back to sleep."

"'Kay," Justin replied rolling over.

Brian went down the steps and checked on Bree on the futon. She was sound asleep with Muñequita in her arms. Her grey bunny was snuggled up against her too. Brian went over to the fridge and took out a bottle of water. He carried the phone in his hand as he walked over to the chaise and stretched out on it to wait for Rachel's call. He turned the phone to its quietest setting and prepared to wait.

2:31:18

"Hello," Brian said quietly into the phone. He didn't hear any howling in the background. That was a good sign.

"It's Rachel. Beau seems to have settled down. He's lying at the foot of our bed with his head on the rope of socks."

"Good," Brian said breathing a sigh of relief. "I really didn't want to have to drive out there tonight."

"And I didn't want you to have to."

"I was composing a lecture to give Beau over the phone to see if that would calm him down."

Rachel chuckled. She could just imagine Brian's lecture to Beau. She had heard Ted describe Brian's pep talks. "I don't think that will be necessary."

"Good, sorry he was such a pain."

"He's still a puppy. I'll remember the rope of socks if I ever look after him again."

"Thanks for all the trouble you've taken with him."

"That's okay."

"Hope you can get a decent night's sleep from here on out."

"You too," Rachel said and cut the connection.

With a weary sigh Brian went back to the bedroom and climbed in beside Justin. He nuzzled up against Justin's back and promptly fell asleep.

2:34:29

"Hello?"

"Molly, that you?"

"Owen? What time is it?"

"Late or early depending on your perspective."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing really, just wanted to hear your voice."

"You're afraid I'll back out. That's why you called on the house line and not my cell." A statement more than a question.

"Yeah, I guess so. I know you're not very happy with all the interference."

"I'm okay, now and in a few more hours it won't make any difference, we'll be married. I won't have to take orders from anyone then."

"Just me." Molly made no comment. "Um, Molly, did you go back to sleep?" Silence was Owen's reply. "Mol, sweetheart, baby, I was only kidding. We do things together. All our decisions will be done together, right?"

"That's right," Molly finally answered.

"Phew, I thought I was in the dog house in the middle of winter." Owen was beginning to sweat.

"Owen," Molly began with a yawn, "I'm going to hang up now. My stylist will be here at seven."

"Okay, baby. I love you."

"Love you too," Molly replied as she was about to hang up.

"See you at the church?" Owen needed a little reassurance.

"I'll see you at the church," Molly said with a smile on her face.

'Poor Owen,' Molly thought as she replaced the receiver onto the base. 'I need to make the honeymoon extra special for him,' she smirked. 'I'll put those lessons Emmett gave me to good use.' Molly laughed softly to herself. Owen would die with embarrassment if he knew that Molly got lessons in the art of pleasing her man from Emmett. Emmett Honeycutt, fairy godmother to the Pitts, full service event planner!

Chapter 18 - 3:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



3:16:39

Somewhere in a private home on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, a sweet refrain was diligently being rehearsed. Mindless of the time, the refrain was repeated over and over until it was perfected. It was a pleasant tune, evoking romance, hope and longing. It would be well after dawn before the musician finally went to sleep.

3:21:17

Briana shifted in her sleep and hugged her grey bunny closer. She was dreaming. She was walking down the aisle at the wedding and that mean man was staring at her. She could feel his disapproval. There were lots of other eyes staring at her too. She could see Patrick up ahead, and that made her feel better. She looked up, way down the long aisle, and there was her Dada smiling at her. She felt herself stand up straight. She could do this. Her Dada was holding Muñequita. He was waiting for her. He was proud of her. She knew she would never let him down. She glared at the mean man and continued her walk down the aisle. She would make her Dada proud.

3:27:51

"Carl? Honey, is that you?"

"Is their someone else you'd let into your bed, sweetheart?"

"Of course not, smartass. But what are you doing up? We have to be at the church at ten."

"Can't help it, babe, years of working nights. You know what that's like."

"Yeah, I do....HA!"

"What's so funny?"

"In a few hours sweet little Molly Taylor will be saying 'I do'. Oh Carl, I remember when that child first came into our lives. Such a pretty, perky little thing, smart as a whip. Briana looks a lot like her."

"Except Briana has her father's personality," Carl snarked.

"Which father?" Debbie asked, knowing full well what father Carl was referring to.

"Brian!" They said in unison, then laughed themselves silly.

"Speaking about Brian, when are you going to give him notice?"

"Deb, we discussed this. I like my job."

"But it's not like you need the money."

"Baby, it was never about the money, although he pays more than I ever made on the force. I like feeling useful and he trusts me."

"Sweetheart, of course he trusts you but lets face it, you're not getting any younger."

"Babe, if I asked you to hang up your apron and retire from the diner, would you?"

"Hell no! I mean, I'd discuss it with you."

"Deb, your first reaction is closer to the truth."

"Jeez, once a cop, always a cop. Okay, so I'm not ready to hang it up anytime soon, but that doesn't mean you have to keep on working too. Besides, the kids need me."

"And it's those same kids who come into Babylon practically every night. I make sure it's safe for them."

"What about all the drugs and sex?"

"The bouncers and the kids know my stand on the drugs. I'll look the other way on the small shit, but if they want to come into my club looking to sell or push the hard stuff, I'll have their ass in jail faster than you can say Brian loves Justin. As for the sex, what happens in the backroom stays in the backroom."

"You old softie, you."

"Who you calling soft?" Carl took Debbie's hand, placing it strategically on his person.

"Soft? Did I say soft? My mistake. I love you Carl Horvath," Debbie said as she snuggled closer.

"Let me show you just how much I love you," Carl murmured as he made love to his wife.

3:52:17

Lacy had come home after pulling extra hours at the diner. She made herself a cup of tea and was about to go up to bed when some groaning noises stopped her ascent of the stairs. Lacy recognized the sounds. With an all knowing silly smile on her face, Lacy took her tea back to the kitchen to finish.

3:57:03

Beau gave a little whimper and his eyes flickered open. He looked around knowing that he was not in his usual spot. He nuzzled his rope of socks and sniffed the scents of his people. He was with the people who lived up the lane. They were good to him. They had brought him here so he wouldn't be lonely. The lady kept telling him that his people would be back soon. He wanted to believe her. He could wait a little longer.

Beau gave out a doggie sigh, nuzzled his rope of socks and went back to sleep.

3:59:13

Brian turned over and opened his eyes. Why was he having so much trouble sleeping? They all had a lot to do for the wedding. He should be getting his rest.

He had managed to solve the Beau problem, thank the gods. He chuckled softly. Justin would have had a fit if Brian had to drive back to the cottage to settle Beau down. Brian hoped Beau was behaving himself now. He hadn't had another call from Rachel so that was a good sign.

Brian's mind was racing. He had dealt with so many crises, albeit small ones, all day long. There was Molly's meltdown, and Emmett's, and he had tried to deal with Craig Taylor. As usual that had got him nowhere. It looked like Justin was going to walk Molly down the aisle. And that was fine. They both seemed all right with that now … sort of. Fucking Craig Taylor! Why couldn't he get his fucking head out of his ass and act like a real father for once in his life? The asshole had no idea how much he would regret missing his daughter's big day. And Molly would never forget how Craig let her down on her wedding day.

Brian rolled onto his side. He would make sure Briana's wedding day was perfect. He would be there for her. He and Justin would walk her down the aisle together.

'Christ, Kinney,' he said to himself. When had he gotten so traditional? Briana might not even want to marry. She might turn out to be a lesbian. Brian shuddered at the thought. He wasn't sure how he would deal with that, but he would. Nothing Briana could ever do would make him love her less. He would be there for her no matter what.

Brian closed his eyes and willed his overactive brain to shut the fuck up.


Chapter 19 - 4:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



4:03:19

Molly smiled in her sleep. She was dreaming about her wedding day. She was walking down the aisle. She could see Owen standing at the front of the church waiting for her. He looked so handsome in his tux. She felt her face light up with love. They were about to start their lives together as a married couple. Owen smiled back at her and she felt warm all over.

"You are a beautiful bride, sweetheart," the man walking her down the aisle said softly.

She turned her head and looked at her father. He looked back at her with love. "Thank you, Daddy. I'm so glad you decided to do this. I love you."

Molly turned over and let herself continue to glide down the aisle.

4:05:22

Owen Brenner was dreaming about his wedding day. He was standing at the front of the church looking up the aisle as Molly glided towards him. He felt so full of love and happiness. Molly looked so beautiful, so serene. He could hardly believe that he was lucky enough to have found his bride, his soulmate, his future.

Justin walked proudly beside his sister, ready to give Molly away … to him. Owen smiled and shifted in the bed. This was the best day of his life. He felt bad that Molly's father had decided to stay away from the wedding. That was the only thing that would have made the day better, but Owen chose not to dwell on that.

He refocused on his bride. She was almost there, almost his. He could hardly wait to take her hand and place the ring on her finger. It would symbolize his love for her, and his faithfulness to her, and his acceptance of her weird extended family. Owen snorted in his sleep. That had been the hardest part of deciding to ask Molly to marry him. Her family was large and … different. They had taken a lot of getting used to. But he had done that. They had accepted him and he had accepted them. It would be fine.

And he and Molly would be married and live happily ever after. Owen smiled. Molly extended her hand to him and he took it, positioning himself beside her as the ceremony began.

4:16:11

Justin stretched as he rolled over on the big loft bed, his hand automatically reaching out for his lover. Feeling only cooling sheets in the empty space, Justin sat up and blinked until he was fully awake. Through the slats he could see movement. He got up taking the duvet with him. Justin never could get used to the coolness of the loft. Wrapped up in the soft, warm duvet, Justin slowly padded to the steps. He could see Brian staring out of the windows holding something close to his chest. As Justin came down the steps Brian turned. In his arms wrapped securely in her blanket, was their daughter.

"Hey," Justin said softly as he kissed Brian's upper arm.

"Hey."

"Can't sleep?" Justin asked. Brian merely shrugged then turned back toward the window. Briana was fast asleep cradled in her father's arms. Justin watched Brian dip his head to inhale his daughter's sleepy scent.

"Bri, let me put her back. She's going to have a long, busy day." Brian reluctantly gave up his bundle. Justin settled their daughter on the futon cushions then returned to the window where Brian was still standing.

Justin unwrapped the duvet from his shoulder to drape it over Brian's. They stood huddled together wrapped by the warm blanket and by their love.

"It's snowing," Brian remarked dryly. "Who in their right mind gets married in the middle of December?" Brian asked, not expecting an answer.

"It should stop soon, I hope it stops soon. I don't think Molly can take another crisis," Justin whispered.

"Molly looked beautiful tonight." Brian gazed over his shoulder at their sleeping beauty. "She was just a little girl when we first met. They grow up so fast."

"Bree's growing up fast too. She'll be five before we know it."

"Five. Soon she'll be bringing home her dates for us to meet."

"You mean you're actually going to allow our daughter to date?" Justin teased Brian.

"Maybe." Brian turned to face Justin, taking the younger man into his arms. He buried his nose into Justin's soft locks, inhaling the scent that was uniquely his husband's. "She'll be leaving us soon, go off, maybe get married too," Brian sadly whispered.

"Bri, I think we have a couple of years before Bree decides to move out."

"You know what I mean," Brian grumbled.

"Yeah, I do. Come on, back to bed. I need my beauty sleep."

"No, you don't. You're beautiful just the way you are."

"But I still want to go back to bed," Justin waggled his eyebrows at Brian.

"You want to play with my tan lines."

"You got a problem with that, big guy?"

"Not at all."

Brian and Justin went back to bed. It was more than an hour later before they got back to sleep.

Chapter 20 - 5:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



5:10:12

"Hello, Emmett, is that you?" Sean asked with a very alert voice, too alert for five in the morning.

"No, it's Drew."

"Drew? Is Emmett okay?" This would be Sean's first big event working with Emmett and his crew. He loved working with Emmett. Sean found Emmett a creative chef, wonderfully talented planner and all around fun guy to be with and work for. He knew Emmett was especially worried about the wedding preparations.

"He's fine.......I lied, he's not fine. He's tired and totally stressed about this wedding. He didn't sleep very well. I know he wanted to be at the café by six but..."

"You don't have to explain. The crew is already here. Everything that needs to be packed up is ready to go. The rest of the stuff went over last night. Let him sleep until it's time for him to go to the church. He has no reason to come here today. We have it all under control."

"I was hoping you'd say that. I'm going back to bed and make sure he gets at least two more hours of sleep."

"You do that, and Drew?"

"Yeah?"

"I wish someday I can find a partner as caring as you are."

"I learned it all from him. See you later at the reception."

Drew hung up the phone, reset the alarm clocks then carefully went back to bed and curled protectively around his lover.

5:16:07

Craig Taylor turned over and almost fell off the sofa. He let out a mild expletive and rubbed his aching back. The fucking couch was made for sitting, not sleeping. He should have gone to the den and used the pullout, but it was too late for that now. He looked at his watch, realizing that it was still dark outside. He could sleep for another hour or two, or until Susan came out of the bedroom. He needed to talk to her, try to make things right between them. He wasn't sure he could manage that, but he was going to try.

He turned back onto his side and closed his eyes.

5:32:09

Owen Brenner looked at the clock. He supposed he might as well get up. He wondered if Molly was awake yet. He had woken up a few minutes ago, and he was too excited to go back to sleep. Today was the day that he and Molly showed the world how much they loved each other. He could hardly wait to make his commitment vows in front of family and friends. He loved Molly Taylor with all his heart.

He wondered at his male friends who were always kidding him about getting married, telling him he should enjoy his freedom while it lasted. He didn't feel that way about his marriage. He wasn't losing any freedom, as far as he was concerned. He was gaining the partner he loved who would share the rest of his life experiences with him. He couldn't ask for anything better.

Owen knew there might be problems ahead in his married life. Molly wasn't the easiest person to deal with. She had very definite ideas about a lot of things. That was part of why he loved her so much. She was passionate and concerned and … pig-headed. Yeah, he should tell her that! He chuckled to himself. She would take his head off if he called her that. But she would also listen and try to be less stubborn when the next thing came along. She loved him enough to do that, and he loved her right back. He would do anything for her. And any problems they might have, they would work out together.

Owen thought about Justin walking Molly down the aisle. He could hardly wait to see how beautiful she would look. He did wish Craig Taylor would reconsider and do his fatherly duty. For a moment Owen toyed with the idea of calling Craig and begging him to come to the wedding. Then he shook himself and realized he was being an idiot. Craig Taylor was not going to change because Owen Brenner asked him too. The family had been working on Molly's father for months, and they had accomplished nothing. What made him think he could talk the man into walking Molly down the aisle?

"Get real, Brenner," Owen told himself.

Maybe he should call Molly and make sure she wasn't having cold feet about the wedding. He didn't really think she was, but he would like to hear her voice. He glanced at the clock, debating. He decided he better leave her alone. She would either be sleeping or getting ready for all her appointments before the wedding.

The next time he would see her she would be in her wedding gown. He knew she would take his breath away. He could hardly wait.

"Enough thinking," he told himself. "Go have a shower."

5:38:52

"Dada?" Bree woke up and was momentarily disoriented.

"Here, Squirt," Brian called out quietly as he got out of bed to go get Bree. He went to the futon cushion. Briana was sitting up holding her grey bunny and looking somewhat baffled. She immediately smiled when she saw her Dada.

"Dada!" Bree cried out as she raised up her arms toward her father. Brian squatted to pick her up. "I be flower girl now?"

"Not yet, Squirt, soon. Want to sleep with me and Daddy?" Bree nodded sleepily as Brian carried his daughter to their bed. "Okay. And the next time you wake up, you'll be a flower girl," Brian whispered as he settled Bree in between himself and Justin.

He watched as Bree snuggled close to her daddy. Justin turned in his sleep toward his daughter then drew her close. Brian felt his eyes grow misty. Two of the three most important people in Brian's life were sleeping in his bed. It was times like this that Brian wished he was an artist so that he could capture the moment. Instead, Brian reached for his camera phone. He took several pictures then curled around his blonds, trying to get in a few more hours of sleep.

5:58:59

"Molly, you awake?" Jennifer called through Molly's bedroom door. She could hear Molly's alarm clock going off.

"Five more minutes, Mom," Molly called out. Jennifer was about to demand that Molly get up as if she was late for school but she stopped herself.

"Okay, honey," Jennifer said as she shook her head with laughter. "Five more minutes."

"Thanks, Mom. Love you."

"Love you too, sweetheart." Jennifer went to take a shower.


Chapter 21 - 6:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



6:01:12

Molly hit the snooze alarm on the bedside clock. She would have a few more minutes before she got up for her wedding day. Yes, it was her wedding day. She smiled to herself as she hugged her pillow. She had waited a long time to marry Owen, and now that day had arrived. She knew he was the one for her. She loved his quiet gentleness and his regard for her. He was sweet and generous and obliging. He was everything she could ever want in a husband.

Slowly her happy mood faded. She began to think of her father. She still loved Craig, but he was such a bigoted, stupid, fucking asshole. How had her mother ever loved him enough to marry him? That made Molly wonder if there were things about Owen she didn't know, something that might pop up tomorrow or years from now, and make her wonder what the fuck she had been thinking when she married him.

Molly rolled over onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. Her father wasn't going to be there to walk her down the aisle. The wedding had got totally out of her control. It was some kind of mega extravaganza, not at all what she had envisioned. But in all of her dreams about her wedding day, Craig had always been there walking with her to her new husband, holding her arm, telling her how beautiful she looked and how proud he was of her. That wasn't going to happen today. She let out a sad, little sigh.

Then she thought about Justin. He would be there for her. And Bree and Brian and Emmett and Joanne and Katerina, and all the rest of her family and friends. And above all she had her mother. Jennifer would be the proudest of them all. And Molly wanted to make her proud. Deciding that she had wallowed enough, she threw back the covers.

This was her wedding day and she was fucking going to enjoy it! She headed for the shower with a smile on her face.

6:15:00

"Sharon, hon, why are you up so early?" Owen Sr. asked his wife.

"Early? It's not early, it's precisely six-fifteen. I must do my fifteen minutes on my stationary bike, shower, apply my makeup and make sure my dressing room is in order before the hairdresser arrives."

"Honey, we have more than three hours before we're due at the church," Owen tried to reason with his wife.

"You men," Sharon said with an exasperated tone. "All you have to do is throw on a suit and show up on time. I'm a Kingsley; it takes time to make everything perfect." Sharon turned on her heels and headed for her exercise bike.

Owen sighed, biting back his tongue. No matter how long they were married, Sharon still had the habit of calling herself a Kingsley. He thought he had gotten accustomed to it, but he was wrong. It was a sore point for him. Owen sighed loudly, reset the alarm for seven-thirty and tried to go back to sleep. He began to drift off when he felt a tender kiss to his forehead.

"I didn't mean that," Sharon said sweetly and contritely. "I just want to look my best for you and Junior. Molly, Jennifer and Susan are beautiful women. I want you to be proud of me." Owen sat up to hug his wife.

"Honey, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever known. I am always proud of you. I love you, sweetheart." Owen kissed his wife.

"I love you too." Sharon returned the kiss.

"Go, now. Before you upset your timetable," Owen joked.

"Oh you!" Sharon smiled then hurried back to her exercise bike.

6:27:48

"Molly, what are you doing?" Owen Jr. said quietly but abruptly into his phone.

"And good morning to you too," Molly snarked as she answered the phone while trying to dry her hair without dropping her towel or the phone.

"Sorry, Mol. Good morning, happy wedding day!"

"Happy wedding day to you too and I'm trying to dry my hair but my fiancé insists on being a pain in the ass."

"Oh, well then I guess I should let you go," Owen said disappointedly.

"I think that's a wise decision. You wouldn't want me to catch a cold before the honeymoon, would you?" Molly said seductively.

"No! Okay, this is me hanging up now and I'll see you soon. I mean, at ten. At the church, at ten, this morning, um, later this morning..."

"Say goodbye, Owen." Molly said as she began to hang up the phone. She laughed out loud as she heard her soon-to-be husband answer appropriately.

"Goodbye, Owen."

6:54:41

Jennifer looked over at Molly's wedding dress hanging in the doorway of her closet. It was such a beautiful dress, simple but elegant, so Molly in its own way. Jennifer couldn't help but remember her own wedding and the dress she had worn. It was a beautiful dress back then, but a little dated as to today's taste. She still had that dress and had even suggested that Molly might want to wear it for her wedding. Molly had been quick to point out that the dress was old fashioned, and it hadn't brought much good luck to Jennifer's own marriage. Molly had decided she wanted a new one that didn't hold any bad vibes.

Jennifer snorted - bad vibes. How could a damn dress hold "vibes" at all? But who was she to contradict her daughter. She was only the mother of the bride. With a smile Jennifer went into the closet and looked at her dress for the wedding. It was a soft blue, long and elegant. She loved that dress and Molly had loved it too, when they had first seen it.

Maybe Seth would love it too. Jennifer grinned to herself. She was so happy to have Seth escorting her to the wedding and later the reception. She hoped he would like the dress as much as she did. She certainly liked him, and he seemed to like her.

Just then the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Jennifer, it's Seth. I hope I didn't wake you."

"Not at all. I've been up for a while," Jennifer smiled.

"I thought you might be. I wanted to confirm what we're doing for today. You want me to meet you at the church at quarter to ten."

"Yes, Molly and I will have arrived by then in the limo. She'll be getting last minute preparations done to her makeup and hair. I'll be with her, but I'll want you to walk me into the church and down to that front pew. We'll make quite a splash," Jennifer laughed.

"They'll think I'm the father of the bride," Seth chuckled.

"Let them," Jennifer said bitterly. "That asshole doesn't deserve any recognition."

"Now, now, my dear. Bitterness doesn't become you."

"You're right," Jennifer sighed. "But we make a very handsome couple."

"Yes we do. I hope I can see you again after the wedding?"

"I'd like that."

"So, I'll be at the church by quarter to ten."

"Thanks, Seth."

They hung up each with a smile on their face.


Chapter 22 - 7:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



7:03:06

"OH MY GOD!" Drew heard the shriek emanating from their bedroom and bouncing off the apartment walls. "It's after seven; you let me sleep until after seven! How could you?!"

Drew heard Emmett trying to get out of bed. Drew had the sheets and blankets tightly tucked around the screaming queen, giving Drew the time he needed to place the breakfast he just prepared into the warming oven. The coffee was ready and the table set. All Drew needed was his partner. A calm partner, calm being the operative word.

"Good morning, baby," Drew said sweetly, as he entered the bedroom only to see Emmett struggling helplessly against the sheets. He managed to get himself very tangled.

"Don't you 'baby' me, Drew Boyd! Now get me out of this bed," Emmett screamed.

"No," Drew stated calmly.

"No? What the fuck do you mean by no?"

"Just exactly how it sounds. No. I will not set you free until you've calmed yourself down and you see reason." Drew puffed himself up, showing off his considerable muscles to the lanky queen in his bed.

"But I need to..."

"No, you don't."

"No?"

"No."

"But Sean..."

"Emmett, babe, you said it yourself. Sean is a godsend. He's a great chef and has a wonderful head for business. Now I've already spoken to him..."

"You did what?"

"I spoke with Sean two hours ago. Everything is under control. All you need to do right now is to have a good breakfast, take a shower, put on your finery and be a guest at Molly's wedding."

"But Drew..."

"No buts, unless it's your sweet butt getting into the shower. Now, are you going to behave or do I have to get tough?" Emmett appeared to be contemplating what Drew said but he was still unconvinced. "Babe, how long have you been in your party planning business?"

"Oh, God, years. I mean what decade is this? Me and Vic started the business..."

"That's right, you and Vic and he passed away a long time ago, right?" Emmett nodded with a sad look in his eyes. "You and your crew have been at this for a very long time. You have a well executed game plan and Sean has been trained very thoroughly by you, now let him do what you hired him for. Molly is counting on you to make sure all goes well during the wedding. No photographers falling over, cracking their heads on marble steps, and no drooping decorations. Let Sean take care of the other stuff so you can make it all perfect at the church. Now, do we have a deal?" Emmett nodded. "I want to hear it from you, Babe. You going to behave and eat a good breakfast before we go flying off to the church?"

"Yes, Drewsie," Emmett said in his best contrite voice.

"All right. I love you," Drew said as he untangled his lover.

Emmett wrapped his arms around Drew in a grateful hug. "I love you too. Um, would it be okay if I at least called over to the bistro to double check on things?"

Drew took Emmett's cell phone from the pocket of his robe, hit number two on the speed dial then handed the phone to his lover. Emmett smiled broadly as Drew kissed his cheek then went back to the kitchen to set out their breakfast.

"Thank you, honey," Emmett called out before Sean said hello.

7:12:34

Brian stirred in his bed. It had been a long night and he hadn't slept all that well. With his eyes still closed he began to stretch, working out the kinks.

"Ooofff!" Brian snapped opened his eyes. There looking down on him were the deep violet blue eyes of his daughter. Her fine strawberry blond hair flying in all different directions. "You may be a Taylor but you certainly have my bed head," Brian muttered to himself.

"I be flower girl now?" Briana ignored the comment, focusing solely on the task she was given to perform for the day.

"Yes, Squirt, today is the day you'll be the flower girl."

"Yay!!!!!" Briana squealed as she bounced on her Dada's tummy and full bladder.

"Bree, I think Daddy has started breakfast," Brian began, noting wonderful aromas wafting from the kitchen. "Go sit at the table while I get up."

"Peepee in the toilet, Dada," Bree said decisively to her Dada as she climbed off Mount Kinney, and bounced her happy little self toward the kitchen. Brian sighed as he got out of bed to go empty his bladder and heard his two blonds giggling gleefully.

"I am so fucked," Brian muttered to himself as he shut the bathroom door.

7:48:29

"Oh Molly, your hair is perfect!" Jennifer exclaimed as the stylist was putting on the finishing touches. Molly decided on a simple French twist to keep her fine hair under control. The stylist had woven in a string of pearl-like beads that gave off a warm glow under the lights. Molly may have lost some control over the wedding and the reception, but she stood firm on the style of dress and hair. Jennifer had to admit, Molly knew exactly what she was doing.

"You think Owen will like it?" The stylist held up a mirror so that Molly could see the beads.

"Oh sweetheart, you're so beautiful; he'd be a fool if he didn't. And my daughter is too smart to marry a fool!"

Mother and daughter were working very hard at not bursting out into happy tears and ruining their makeup.

"Now, now, now, ladies," the stylist, Jean-Luc, began. "Emmett will have me drawn and quartered if your make-up is ruined before we get to the main event. So, mother Jennifer, go back to your room so that Stefan can finish dressing you. I'll finish up with Miss Molly." Jean-Luc made some whooshing motions toward Jennifer, urging the woman out of Molly's room and back to hers. Jennifer carefully kissed her daughter's cheek then left her in the capable hands of Jean-Luc.

7:53:32

"Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!" Justin used his most stern fatherly voice at the bathroom door. "Out of the shower, now! We have to get you dressed."

"My special pretty dress?" Justin heard the tiny voice call back from the other side of the door.

"Yes, and you can't wear it if you're dripping wet." Justin stood with his hands on his hips. He was half dressed, just needing to put on the jacket to his tux.

"We have plenty of time, Sunshine," Brian's voice came through the door.

"Yes, Daddy, we girls have to preen!" Briana added her opinion to her Dada's, using words she had often heard her Dada speak.

Justin stood staring at the door, listening to Brian lift the child out of the shower, dry her off then carefully give their daughter fashion and hair styling tips. Justin opened the door, just a crack to peer into the bathroom. His spouse and daughter were wrapped up in their thick robes, Bree watching her Dada intently as he combed and styled his thick brunet hair. After he added in a little gel to make his hair stay where he had combed it, Brian turned to his daughter for her opinion.

"Perfect, Dada!"

"Your turn, Miss Squirt."

Justin shut the door, smiling, thinking to himself, 'Bree may have my genes but she's all Brian.' And Justin wouldn't have it any other way.

Chapter 23 - 8:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



8:01:26

"Carl, breakfast's ready," Debbie called.

"Who are you planning to feed, the fifth army?" Carl asked as he got a look at all the food Debbie had made.

"You know I like to cook when I get nervous."

"Nervous? Why are you nervous?"

"Want to hear the list?"

Carl frowned. "Yes, sweetheart. You have a list?"

Debbie poured them coffee and set the heaping plate of food in front of Carl. "Number one, there's little Briana and being the flower girl."

"Briana? She'll be fine. She's been practicing for months. What could go wrong?"

Debbie made a face. "Apparently at the rehearsal, she got cold feet and refused to walk down the aisle. They had to call Brian to get him to talk her back into it."

"How do you know that?" Carl asked shaking his head.

"I have my sources."

"Number two?"

"Emmett is a wreck about this wedding. He wants everything to be perfect for Molly and Jenn, and there have been a few problems," Debbie explained.

"Emmett can handle anything; you know that," Carl said confidently.

"Michael had to call Brian to come talk to Emmett. He had a meltdown yesterday."

"A meltdown," Carl said thoughtfully as he munched on a strip of bacon.

"Yeah, not a pretty sight according to Michael."

"But it's all over now, isn't it?" Carl asked trying to smooth things over.

"I fucking hope so. Number three."

"There's more?"

"Much more. There's that whole snooty Brenner family."

"What about the Brenner family?" Carl had to ask. "Owen seems like a good guy."

"Somehow he grew up in that family and turned out okay."

"What do you mean?" Carl asked as he finished off his scrambled eggs.

"That Sharon Brenner's real snooty, and her mother is worse, from what Jennifer has told me. That's part of why Emmett's so worried. They may not like what he's done with the wedding."

"Well, it's too fucking bad if they don't like something. It's Molly's wedding," Carl stated adamantly.

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean?"

"Apparently the wedding has changed drastically since Molly first started Emmett working on it. It's doubled or tripled in size and everything has become much more fucking elaborate. Molly was ready to run away and elope yesterday. She refused to even come out of her bedroom."

Carl chuckled. "Pre-wedding jitters."

"It was a helluva lot more than that," Debbie told him.

"So, did Owen talk her back into the wedding?"

"Brian."

"Brian?"

"Yeah, I guess he told her some hard facts and managed to convince her that it was only one day at the beginning of the rest of her life."

"Christ, I'm not sure I want to go to this fucking wedding."

"Oh, you're going, and so am I. I wouldn't miss it for the world," Debbie laughed.

"You … you don't want to see Molly's day ruined, do you?" Carl frowned.

"Of course not. I want to see her walk down the aisle proudly, marry Owen, and have the best wedding this fucking town has ever seen. I want Emmett to dazzle them with his planning and his catering. I want him to stick it to Sharon fucking Brenner and her hoity-toity mother."

Carl laughed. "I'm glad you're on Molly's side."

"Me too," Debbie chuckled as she poured them more coffee.

"Is that the end of your list?"

"No, there's one more thing."

"What's that?" Carl asked, almost afraid of the answer.

"That fucking Craig Taylor. He has refused to walk Molly down the aisle."

"I know, so Justin's doing it."

"Yeah, but everyone wants the asshole himself to grow a pair and act like a real father for once in his fucking life."

"But he won't," Carl said shaking his head.

"No, he won't, even after Brian offered to stay away from the wedding, if Craig would do the honors with Molly."

"Brian offered that?"

"Yes, he did," Debbie said proudly. "He did his best to fix that too."

"But Craig's not budging?"

Debbie shook her head. "But I wouldn't put it past him to make some kind of trouble for Justin and Brian, and therefore, for Molly."

"Shit! He wouldn't dare."

"You never know."

"Based on everything else you've told me, it's a good thing Brian will be there. He may have to deal with some more messes before he's finished."

"You got that right," Debbie agreed. "I'm going to have my bath. Your suit's hanging in the closet."

"Thanks, Babe."

"I love you Carl Horvath."

"And we'll all get through this day just fine."

"From your lips to God's ears," Debbie said before she headed up the stairs.

8:35:08

"Brian, we are going to be late. And contrary to popular belief, being fashionably late to a wedding, especially if you are in the wedding party, is not acceptable!" Justin was dressed to the nines, looking extremely edible to Brian who was unashamedly leering at him, as Justin was trying to pack up what they'd need for after the wedding. Brian was putting the finishing touches to Bree's hair. Emmett had offered to send a stylist to do Bree's hair but Brian would have none of that. Brian would take care of his daughter's hair himself.

"We are not going to be late. We're only fifteen minutes from the church. The wedding begins at ten. The wedding party will be arriving at nine to work out the last minute details. We…" Brian flicked his hand back and forth between himself, Bree and Justin. "…as well as John, Bobby and Patrick, do not have to be there until nine-thirty. Emmett said that there was no need to have the little ones unnecessarily frightened by all the idiotic adults. I, for one, agree with him. The reception doesn't start until seven. By the time this three ring circus of a wedding is over it'll be lunch time. John, Bobby and Patrick can come back here for lunch and we'll hang out there until it's time to go to the reception. We need to have our 'play clothes' for later."

"I packed most of it last night." Justin indicated the duffle bag on the floor. It held a change of clothes for all of them and extra toiletries just in case.

"Maybe we should take a room at the Plaza. It would make it easier for the kids," Brian suggested.

Justin did a double take as he looked at Brian. If Justin was edible, Brian was a seven course meal all the way to the dessert. It nearly took Justin's breath away. Brian was aging with style, grace and style and sex appeal, and did I mention style. Brian was wearing one of Justin's favorite Armani suits that made Brian look sensually dangerous. It was in sharp contrast to how Justin looked, adorable as well as stylishly country club confident. Brian remained an enigma, so cool and somewhat remote, until...

"Dada!"

"Yes, Squirt?"

"My bow got loose," Bree said with a little frown as she turned to show her Dada where the ribbon around her waist had started to come loose.

"Then we must fix it," Brian stated as he picked her up to stand her on a chair. Bree turned so that Brian could secure her bow. "Perfect!" Brian declared.

Bree carefully turned to face her Dada. "Dada?" Bree had a very serious look in her eyes.

"What is it, Squirt, you nervous about today?" Brian was a little worried that there would be a repeat of what happened at the rehearsal.

"No, Dada, I remebber what Auntie Emm told me."

"The word is remember."

"I remember, Dada."

"Then what is it?"

"Dada, can I marry you?" Brian was slightly shocked at his daughter's question. He recovered quickly and picked her up to carry her to the windows.

"No, Squirt," Brian answered softly as he looked out over the city. The snow had stopped falling, the sun was shining brightly, making everything sparkle.

"Why?" Bree asked in all seriousness.

"Because one day a handsome prince with flaming red hair is going to marry you," Brian whispered just as seriously.

"Okay, Dada," Bree said as she wrapped her little arms around her Dada's neck.

Justin gave them a moment then went to them. He kissed Brian's shoulder then leaned up to kiss his daughter.

"We should get going," Justin said, his love for Brian and Bree sparkling in his eyes as brightly as the sun shining on the newly fallen snow. Brian nodded.

The Kinney-Taylors were ready to wow the city.

Chapter 24 - 9:00 AM 12.17.2016 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 



9:06:12

Owen Jr. and party were waiting off to the right of the altar in the side vestibule. Pastor James and Father Tom were going over the last minute details of the religious part of the ceremony. The joint ceremony was mutually agreed upon by both families. Owen Sr. was discreetly circulating throughout the church as per his son's request. In Owen Jr.'s eyes, seeing is believing. Deep down Owen harbored the fear that his bride-to-be would do a runner on him and quite frankly, Owens, Jr. and Sr., could not fault Molly for that. So while Owen Sr. looked as if he was playing the proud dad, he was actually keeping an eye out for his soon-to-be daughter-in-law, he hoped.

"She'll be here, Owen. Jeez, you're going to ruin your tux, you're sweating so much," Joe, Owen's best man, exclaimed.

"I can't help it, Joey. Look at all those people out there! Mol and I wanted a nice quiet ceremony, not that!" Owen pointed to a bunch of socialites all of whom, in the dead of winter, were sporting fake tans and chemically enhanced highlights. He wasn't about to go into the dresses or lack thereof. He was dreading the 'fashion show' at the reception. The debutantes were all trying to outdo one another, heedless of the fact that it was impolite to outshine the bride. Owen winced.

"Owey, you have nothing to worry about. Molly Taylor is one hot lady. Those overdone poptarts have nothing on her." Owen and Joe cracked up with laughter, successfully putting Owen Jr. at ease.

"Owey and Joey, pals forever," Owen said as he high-fived his best friend.

"Forever, man. Now let's see if we can't wring you out a little." Joey led his best friend to the men's room.

9:22:48

Susan Taylor stepped out of the bedroom. She was wearing a classically tailored, sophisticated suit. Susan had no intention of attracting undue attention to herself. She was honored that she was accepted by Molly, Justin and by Jennifer as a part of their family. But after today Susan Taylor wasn't so sure if she was still going to be a part of the family.

"I'm leaving now," Susan said sadly as she donned her coat, slipped on her gloves and picked up her car keys. Craig merely grunted from his seat on the couch. He was wearing his robe as he read the paper. He never looked up as Susan shut the door behind her.

9:55:39

The wedding party was assembled in the foyer waiting for Molly to appear and the music that would indicate that they should start down the aisle. Bree was holding Justin's hand, confident that her Dada was waiting for her when she was finished with her job. He had promised to stand up and hold Muñequita so she could see them both as she made her way down the aisle.

Emmett was hushing everyone, making sure they were all in position. Molly came out of the bride's room and stopped to look at her wedding party. There was a collective gasp. She looked stunning in her simple gown with the fur trim. They smiled, but Justin most of all.

"Ready?" Emmett asked.

She nodded and took her place beside Justin.

9:58:39

"Molly?"


10:00 AM 12.17.2016

Epilogue

Owen was standing at the altar, his best friend and Owen Sr. at his side. He was nervously waiting for the music to begin, for Molly to appear. If Molly appeared. Everyone knew that Molly had been unhappy with all the last minute changes Sharon Brenner had 'suggested.' And that Molly, in her efforts to keep the peace, found that her wedding, was not.

The music began. Molly and Owen's grandmothers were escorted down the aisle and shown to their seats. Next came Sharon Brenner then Jennifer Taylor who was desperately trying to keep her mascara from running down her face.

Next was a long line of ushers and bridesmaids, most of whom Molly barely knew. It was a bone of contention for Molly; her small intimate wedding rivaled the Queen of England's. Then came Molly's best friend and maid of honor. Molly had been Joanne's maid of honor in the summer.

It was Patrick's turn next, complete, in his morning coat, looking like an elegant gentleman. In his hands lay a pink silk pillow with two golden rings tied with a silken cord. He carefully followed the path toward the front of the church. Molly demanded that Patrick would be their ringbearer. She stubbornly refused any other choice. Patrick's dads stood tall and proud in the second pew, watching their little man.

A hush fell as Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor slowly made her way down the aisle with her basket of silk rose petals. She looked like a princess in her pale pink gown with shoes dyed to match. Her fine strawberry blond hair was swept up and held in place by a crystal encrusted barrette that shone like a tiny golden tiara. In well rehearsed movements, Bree carefully spread her petals like a delicate breeze. Her poise and innocent beauty touched Brian down to his very core. As hard as he tried to retain his stoic exterior, the sight of his princess made it crack. Tears of pride and joy slowly slipped down Brian's face.

The music changed, the bridal march began, the congregation rose. Owen held his breath. Brian shifted nervously on his feet. Justin's smile was blinding.

"Are you ready, Molly?"

"Yes, I'm ready," Molly said as she took the proffered arm, smiling brilliantly. "I'm ready........Dad!"

-end 24-


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=889