Stay With Me by starlight
Summary:

Justin finishes college and meets Brian.

 

Lorie thank you for making all my work readable, you are the best beta.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Claire Kinney, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Michael, Out of Character, What if...
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben
Challenges: None
Series: Stay With Me
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 62706 Read: 280384 Published: Mar 09, 2017 Updated: Mar 30, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I will warn that Emmett and Ted aren't likeable as I usually make them. They will get better, because I couldn't make Emmett completely unlikeable. Chapter two will show more what I'm warning.

JUSTIN

 

I graduated from college and a group of us decided to party the night away.  My friend Grant wanted to check out Babylon, and Brian Kinney, so we left the others at the straight club and stumbled our drunk asses to Babylon. Grant kept going on and on about Brian Kinney and that it was a right of passage to fuck the man, so I wished him luck and went looking for someone to hook up with. I was dancing with a guy when I felt someone shove me, and turned to see the psycho husband of one of my professors. It's like something about me seems to piss the guy off, and I ended up having to file a complaint when he started harassing me on campus. So seeing him here just wasn't how I saw my night going. Since I didn't see him leaving me alone, I decided to leave. He tried to follow me, while calling me a all sorts of names, but two other guys ended up pulling him away from me.

 

I got outside, walked across the street to the light and sent Grant a text to let him know I left. While waiting for a reply, a guy stood in front of me and I looked up to see a gorgeous man staring at me.

 

“Meeting someone?” He asks.

 

“No, just deciding to call it a night.” I tell him.

 

“It's past your bedtime?” He smirks.

 

“No, just realized there was no one worth the effort.” I tell him.

 

“I could change that.” He tells me.

 

I figured why not, so I followed him home and spent the next few hours being glad I didn't say no. When he went to answer his phone I got dressed and was leaving. He shook his head when he saw me headed for the door.

 

“I don’t get why you can't leave the guy alone… just because the guy showed up… look talk to Ben… you can't ask me to ban someone just because you think everyone wants Ben… look, I have company so bye.” Brian hangs up. “Where you going?” He asks me.

 

“Home, it was great.” I tell him.

 

“Stay, it's not like tomorrow isn't the weekend.” He tells me.

 

“I have graduation tomorrow, so I need to get home.” I tell him.

 

He didn’t stop me but handed me his number, I got the feeling it made him nervous.

 

“Call me.” He tells me.

 

“What to call you would be a problem Stud.” I tell him.

 

“Brian seems to get my attention, asshole, if your family, and Mr Kinney if you're feeling formal.” He tells me.

 

I don't think he expected me to burst out laughing. “Shit, I'm sorry, it's just apparently you’re a right of passage to all us gay boys.” I tell him.

 

 

“I used to be, but it gets old.” He tells me.

 

“What changed?” I ask him.

 

“My whole life changed recently.” He tells me.

 

“You still seem to be picking up random guys.” I tell him, because what was tonight, if not tricking.

 

“I saw you standing in the light, something made me want to talk to you.” He tells me.

 

“We didn’t exactly talk.” I tell him.

 

“Then stay and talk.” He tells me.

 

So I stayed, I found out he was a father, and a cancer survivor. That for most of his life he didn’t believe in relationships or love, but couldn't see spending the rest of his life high and drunk.

 

I told him about scoring high enough on placement exams to start college at sixteen, but wanting to do it without having to live under my father's rules. That being gay made it impossible for my father and I to get along.

 

He asked if my mother helped, and I explained that I wanted to do it on my own, so I refused to put my mother in the position of fighting my father. He seemed to hesitate for a second but then told me about his father and mother, in a way it felt like he wanted me to know him, not the reputation.

 

It was dawn when we both seemed to run out of things to say, so I did something I've never done. I turned the paper over and wrote my number and name down. “Then call me.” I tell him, leaving without his number.

 

A week went by and he didn't call, so I went with my friends on vacation. It was while I was sitting on the beach that my phone rang and it was him.

 

“So you feel like doing something?” He asks.

 

“Not really.” I tell him.

 

“I meant to call, but my friend showed up and we went to P-Town and I left your number at home.” He tells me, like I would believe that one.

 

“Maybe it's just telling you, you didn’t want there to be an us, because that excuse is lame.” I tell him.

 

“It's the truth, so can we skip the drama and I'll take you to lunch.” He tells me, impatiently.

 

“That would be a neat trick, since I’m in Orlando.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you there?” He asks me.

 

“My friends thought I should have fun, since I’ve been busting my ass to graduate college early. My friends and I picked Disney, where we could play like kids before real life takes over.” I tell him.

 

“What did Justin decide to become, when he grew up?” He asks.

 

“I majored in art and business, so graphic design is what my business cards read.” I tell him.

 

“Usually business come with those cards.” He tells me.

 

“Since I own one, I guess you could say I need them.” I tell him.

 

“How did you start a business, if you were still in college?” He asks me, like he's interrogating me.

 

“My best friend and I designed logos and I do art for outside companies. It really started when a friend needed a logo for his restaurant and he started recommending me to others. So I finished school with my business already started. Hey, I’m really going to be busy when I get back but I’ll call you.” I tell him.

 

“Why do I get the feeling that you're trying to blow me off?” He asks me.

 

“I just don't see the point in this, because it just doesn’t inspire me when it took you a week to bother to call.” I tell him.

 

“I really was out of town, not blowing you off. Look, if I call you tomorrow will you at least agree to talk?” He asks me.

 

“I won’t be back for another week, so why not just wait and I’ll meet you somewhere.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, just answer.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

Like an idiot, I waited for his call the next day. By seven I decided to delete his number, because I wasn’t into games. So when he called it took me a second to realize it was him.

 

“Is there some reason you waited until eight to call me?” I asked, ready to just hang up.

 

“It took that long to get a flight.” He tells me.

 

“I’m going to admit that really doesn’t make much sense.” I tell him.

 

“Where are you?” He asks me.

 

“At a beach house, why?” I ask him.

 

“Because I flew all the way to Orlando to show you I’m serious.” He tells me.

 

“You know that’s kind of insane right?” I tell him, grabbing the car keys to be just as insane.

 

“I figured you probably already deleted me from your phone, so I wanted to show you I want this.” He tells me.

 

“Why me? Because I’ve asked about you, and everyone has told me you don’t do the whole relationship thing.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve never meet someone I wanted to see more than the time it took to fuck and dress. I took the week off work to see you, that should tell you something. We can at least spend the week together and see if there is anything there.” He tells me.

 

I met him at the airport and drove him to his hotel. I sort of expected him to want to repeat the night we met, but instead he wanted to eat dinner and actually get to know each other.

 

“You never told me what your business name was?” Brian asks.

 

“J&D designs. We just bought a building so we could have offices.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve seen your work, it’s impressive, given you’ve only just graduated.” He tells me.

 

“I needed a way to not depend on my parents for school, the jobs we do paid my way. Since we graduated clear of loans, we are reinvesting in the business.” I tell him. “Brian, why are you really here?” I ask.

 

“Because there's something about you that makes me want to be.” He tells me.

 

After that, he paid for dinner and asked if I wanted to walk on the beach. I kept waiting for the guy Grant described to show up. Only he seemed to ignore all the admiring looks he got, and kept asking about me and my life.

 

The next day he showed up at Disney and did the things I wanted to do. He was nice to my friends, even when Grant couldn’t seem to do anything but stare at him.

 

He invited everyone to dinner and seemed to really be interested in everything we talked about. As each night went by, he was the perfect gentleman, which I was starting to hope he'd stop, but he told me he wanted us to really get to know each other, without me feeling like he was only interested in getting me in bed.

 

On our last night, I decided to take matters in hand. I showed up at his hotel early. When he answered the door in a towel, I pushed him back and locked the door.

 

“We've talked enough, I believe you aren’t just after my ass.” I tell him taking off my shirt.

 

“I never said that, but I wanted us to be more than fuck buddies.” He tells me.

 

“Then don’t fuck me.” I tell him, standing naked in front of the bed.

 

Brian walked over to me and leaned down to look in my eyes, when he seemed to understand that I knew he wanted more from me, he sealed his lips to mine. I pulled the towel until it fell to the floor and ran my hands over him. It wasn’t frantic like the first time, but almost like we were learning each other. He seemed as if he was memorizing every inch of skin on my body as he drove me crazy with each light caress and kiss. He treated me like porcelain as he prepared me to accept him. When he entered me, he watched my face to see that I was enjoying everything he did. It didn’t take long before I was encouraging him to move faster and when I came, kept going and waited until my second orgasm before he finished. It didn’t end there because he cleaned me in the shower and I felt worshipped with each movement of his hands. We ended up fucking in the shower, but it seemed like more. When we went to bed, he whispered, “Stay” before going to sleep. So I stayed, watching him sleep, and seeing my future.


Chapter 2 by starlight

BRIAN

 

When we got back home, instead of going to my loft we went to his house with Daphne. I wanted him to meet Gus and Lindsay, because I wanted him to meet the other people who were important to me. He was a little resistant because he still felt like this was too new to bring a child into it. 

 

“I’m not asking you to be a father, just meet my son and best friend. I’ve met all yours.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t feel like it’s too soon?” He asks me.

 

“Justin, I just don’t see the reason to hide our relationship from the people who are important to me.” I tell him.

 

“At least call and tell them you're bringing me. I won’t be upset if Lindsay wants us to wait.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay already knows about you, I had to let her know in case Gus needed something.” I tell him.

 

He seemed to worry all the way over there, he always seemed so self assured, but apparently making a good impression on my son was a big deal to him. Mel opened the door when we showed up.

 

“Michael is looking for you.” She tells me.

 

“He always is, I’ll call him later. Justin this is Lindsay’s wife Mel. Mel this is Justin.” I tell her.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. Come in before my wife redecorates again.” She tells us.

 

“I hope it’s okay that he brought me. I kept telling him we shouldn't rush.” Justin tells her.

 

“We've been dying to meet you, Brian never brings people to meet Gus. Lindsay’s been waiting for the day Brian brings someone over, so just be prepared for her enthusiasm. She’s changed Gus’s clothes about three times and I’m sure he’d really like to be rescued.” She tells us.

 

“Mel, I just wanted Gus to wear something other than play clothes. I’m Lindsay.” Lindsay tells Justin, hugging him.

 

“Lindsay, don’t smother him.” I tell her, getting Justin out of hugging range.

 

“I’m just happy to meet him. I was so sure you were just getting my hopes up.” She tells me.

 

“Daddy, help me?” Gus tells him running in the room in just his shirt and underwear.

 

“Gus, where are your pants?” Mel asked, laughing when Lindsay seemed embarrassed.

 

“I didn’t like them, so I threw them away.” He tells us.

 

“Gus, I told you Daddy was bring a special friend over.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Is that him?” Gus asks me pointing at Justin.

 

“Yes, can you say hi to Justin.” I ask him.

 

“Is he like your other friend?” He asks me, frowning.

 

“No, he’s more than just my friend, in fact he’s someone I’m dating.” I tell Gus, and Lindsay really didn’t need to hug Justin again.

 

“Hi Jussin.” Gus says shyly.

 

“Hi, your Dad talks a lot about you.” Justin tells him. 

 

“It's cause he loves me lots.” Gus tells him. 

 

“Even when you won’t wear pants, sonny boy.” I tell him, smirking at Lindsay shaking her head.

 

“So I made lunch and thought we could get to know each other.” Lindsay tells us.

 

Lindsay led us to the table that looked like it was set for a dinner party, and sat Justin down next to her. Mel and I rolled our eyes, I guess Justin just got her approval without really saying anything.

 

“So tell me how you met, Brian was a bit stingy on the details.” Lindsay tell him.

 

“We meet in front of Babylon, then he waited a week to call, which I seemed to think was a sign that he wasn’t really serious, but then he showed up on my vacation and convinced me.” Justin tells her.

 

“Brian said you just graduated college?” She asks.

 

“I graduated the day after we met, from Carnegie.” He tells her.

 

“What did you study?” Mel asked, and I almost interrupted them from trying to get everything out of him at once.

 

“I was an art and business major, I actually already have a business, designing logos and art for companies.” He tells them.

 

“Oh my God, I’ve seen your work.” Lindsay tells him, almost as if he was famous.

 

“How?” Justin asks her.

 

“I use to teach art history at Carnegie, I quit to raise Gus, but always kept up with the emerging artists. I saw two of your paintings that were entered in a contest, you won didn’t you?” She asks him.

 

“I did, but I donated the prize back to the school.” Justin tells her.

 

“Why didn’t you pursue painting?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“I wanted a way to support myself, and artists, like actors, live from show to show. I couldn’t see it as a way to accomplish my goals. I still paint, but I don’t dream of being some great artist in New York.” He tells her.

 

“I used to think that it was the only way to be an artist, it was really unrealistic to think New York was the only way to make it. I love to paint but it’s not the kind of painting that people want. I learned that just being happy with my art was more important.” She tells him.

 

“As long as I’m happy with what I do, I count it as a success. What do you do now?” Justin asks her. 

 

“I’m starting to look for work now that Gus is in school.” She tells him.

 

“I’m always looking for someone who can draw. With my business it’s about the concept we are creating. I would love to see your work.” He tells her.

 

Lindsay took off with Justin, and left us sitting at the table. 

 

“Did that just happen, Wendy ignoring me?” I ask Mel.

 

“Yes it did, you had to bring someone she could discuss art with.” Mel tells me.

 

“I just wanted him to meet Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Well put some pants on him and chase Wendy down, before she decides to keep Justin.” Mel tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was really not sure why I told her about a job. I mean I’m always looking for people who can draw, it doesn’t have to set the world on fire, only be what the client wants. She showed me to the attic she was using as a studio. I looked at each painting and she had technique, which is what I look for.

 

“You can say it, they’re boring.” She tells me.

 

“It’s not my style but it’s technically good. Have you ever just sat down and painted without using a model?” I ask her.

 

“I’ve always lacked the imagination for it.” She tells me.

 

“You dream don’t you?” I ask her.

 

“Well everyone does.” She tells me.

 

“When you wake up, try to recreate what you dreamt about, it’s just something that worked for me. About the job…”

 

“I know you were just being nice.” She tells me.

 

“Not at all, what we do is right up your alley. We are creating what someone wants, so unlike trying to show your vision, your showing what you’ve been instructed. I can start you on commision, and if it’s something you like we can talk.” I tell her.

 

“Can we talk for a minute before we go back down stairs?” She asks.

 

“Is it about Brian and me?” I ask.

 

“In a way. It’s about some of Brian’s other friends, well one in particular.” She tells me.

 

“Is there some reason you want to tell me?” I ask her.

 

“I want you to give Brian a chance, and I’m afraid of how Michael is going to react to you.” She tells me.

 

“I’m assuming you don’t think it will go well?” I ask her.

 

“I’m hoping that he won’t really care, but Michael seems to think that everything about Brian is his concern. It’s just that sometimes he treats Brian like his own possession and I just don’t want you to be surprised if he acts like a jerk.” She tells me.

 

“Is he in love with Brian?” I ask.

 

“He always thought Brian wouldn’t change, and yes, he was in love with Brian. He got married a few years ago and his husband is now dealing with his jealousy issues. So for a while it was all about Ben, and Michael thinking every student is after Ben. I think there was even some student that filed a complaint about Michael harassing him.” She tells me, and well I’m definitely not going to be popular in that corner.

 

“Lindsay, I wasn’t going to subject Justin to Mikey, at least not until I explain to him that Justin is important to me.” Brian tells her.

 

“I vote for not introducing me at all.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” Brian asks.

 

“Oh, probably because I’m the one Michael wanted banned the night we met. And I’m the student that filed the complaint against him” I tell him.

 

“Oh shit.” Lindsay looks from me to Brian.

 

“Yeah, I almost had to call the police, but the school got Professor Bruckner to tell Michael to leave me alone, which worked as long as I don’t see him outside school.” I tell them.

 

“What made him think you were after Ben?” Lindsay asks as we go back to the dining room.

 

“I went to his office to turn in an assignment. Professor Bruckner asked me to wait until he checked to make sure I had all the requirements he wanted. I guess Michael didn’t like that the door was closed. He burst in I was sitting in front of the desk while he was looking at it, that was all. Somehow it turned into me flirting.” I tell them.

 

“So what happened in my club?” Brian asks me as he picks Gus up.

 

“I was dancing and he showed up and started in on me again, so I left while two guys pulled him away, that’s it.” I tell him.

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Mel asks as we sit down.

 

“Justin’s the student Michael thinks was trying to steal Ben from him.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“So, maybe no dinner at Debs, yet?” Mel asks Brian.

 

“Are you my Daddy’s boyfriend?” Gus asks me, yanking on my shirt.

 

“Yes he is, sonny boy.” Brian tells him and me.

 

We stayed for an hour and made plans to take Gus the following weekend. I encouraged Lindsay to send me a resume and we could talk. On the way to my house, he asked how I like the girls.

 

“They were both really nice, and Gus is going to break hearts one day. You seem to have a good relationship with Mel and Lindsay.” I tell him.

 

“It took a few years but now it’s about Gus to all of us. At first Mel didn’t really like me much, mostly because Lindsay and I have a close relationship, but I think she see that the love Lindsay has for me isn’t a threat to her.” He tells me.

 

“Look, about Michael…” I started to say.

 

“Michael is not in this relationship. No matter what he says, remember that I want you in my life. We can’t avoid him, but it doesn’t change what I want.” He tells me.

 

“What’s that Mr. Kinney?” I ask.

 

“You. For me it’s that simple.” He tells me.

 

“You want to come in or do you need to get home?” I ask him.

 

“You really have to ask?” He tells me getting out of the car.

 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is where you see Emmett so unlike himself so be warned before you read it.

BRIAN 

 

Justin kept giving me strange looks when I didn’t answer the constant ringing of my phone. 

 

“Is there some reason you're not answering?” He asks, as it goes off again.

 

“It's just Michael, I'm sure he's already driving Cynthia crazy.” I tell him. 

 

“Why not tell him to stop?” Justin asks, handing me a cup of coffee.

 

“It's just makes him call more.” I tell him. 

 

“Most people call like that when it's an emergency.” He pointed out. 

 

“They aren't all Michael, I'm sure Deb, his mother, is calling because I haven't answered Michael.” I tell him. 

 

“You mean he inherited his crazy.” Justin tells me. 

 

“Deb’s just really involved in Michael’s life.” I tell him.

 

“There's involved, and then there's helping stalk someone. Which all those calls scream.” He tells me, kissing me and heading to his car. 

 

I waited until I got in my car to answer, I guess Michael and Deb think killing my phone's battery is a way to make me answer.

 

“You know, you had Michael worried you were dead, Asshole.” Deb tells me. 

 

“Why, when I told everyone I would be busy out of town?” I ask, irritated.

 

“He just wanted to check on you. Which answering your phone would have solved.” She tells me. 

 

“I figured I was a grown-up, so I didn’t need to report in to mother.” I tell her. 

 

“You can’t expect us to not worry, when you disappeared like that.” She tells me. 

 

“Lindsay had a way to contact me, but only if it was an emergency, which Michael seems to think a hangnail is.” I tell her. 

 

“Well get your ass to the diner before he drives Ted crazy.” She tells me. 

 

“I have a meeting that Ted better get his ass to, so breakfast isn't in the cards.” I tell her. 

 

“You can spare a minute from your scheduled trick to talk to your best friend.” She tells me sarcastically.

 

“Bye.” I hang up, as she tells me not to.

 

I wasn’t going to listen to the Novotny duet today. I wanted to just enjoy my life a little longer. This was going to have Michael in a tailspin, since he's spent the last four months bitching about the blond twink and well, all of the males unfortunate enough to have Ben as a teacher.

 

I parked and prepared myself for Cynthia, who really doesn’t like Michael. It only took the rolling of her eyes to tell me that Kinnetik phone lines had been ringing all morning.

 

“I almost quit.” She tells me handing me the pile of messages.

 

“Any of these business?” I ask her. 

 

“No, I figured I'd save you having to find the four in the pile of thirty, so I placed them on your desk.” She tells me, as I drop the ones in my hand in the garbage can.

 

We walked into the conference room to start the staff meeting. I wasn’t happy when Ted showed up late, but really not surprised by it. After getting updates, I asked Ted to meet me in my office.

 

“Sorry, but Michael threatened to show up here.” He tells me. 

 

“Which isn’t an excuse for letting employees think you can show up when you feel like it.” I tell him. 

 

“So I should have let Michael come here and disrupt everyone?” He asks. 

 

“You should have told Michael that it wouldn’t be a wise decision to show up, and come to work on time.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to, but you know he will just end up calling here, I was trying to make today easier.” Ted tells me.

 

“He's already made more than twenty calls, check Cynthia’s trash there’s a pile.” I tell him.

 

“He’s been asking why you were out of town.” He tells me.

 

“Which is my business and not yours, Emmett’s, or Michael’s. Don’t make me regret trusting you by asking me things that Michael wanted you to.” I tell him.

 

“You’ve never keep secrets from Michael.” He reminds me.

 

“I’m not now, I just don’t feel that I should have to tell everyone everything that I do.” I tell him.

 

I was walking by Ted’s office when I realized that Ted didn’t get what I told him.

 

“Michael, I don’t know… I’m not in the mood to be unemployed because you want to know where Brian was…” He looked up at me. “I have to go, no don’t come here… Michael he’s busy right now… Michael this not the time for this… I’ll tell him.” He hangs up. “He said you need to call him.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t answer to Michael and I’m sure Blake feels the same way, isn’t that the reason he broke it off with you?” I ask him.

 

I told Cynthia just to take messages and not put Michael through, because I didn’t have time to listen to what a shitty friend I was for not answering his calls. Justin called and left a message, which I realized I forgot to mention that his calls were to be sent straight to me.

 

“Justin calls and I don’t care what I’m doing, you put him through.” I tell her.

 

“He told me not to disturb you, since you told him you’d be busy. He left a number for a business who wanted to schedule a meeting with us.” She tells me.

 

“He didn’t say anything else?” I ask her.

 

“Yes, that the reason he called was because Lasiter Apparel mentioned that they couldn’t get through this morning. Are we contracting out some of our work to J&D Designs?” She asks.

 

“Not right now, but possibly in the future, especially if I keep having to explain what I want more than once. Justin’s a personal friend and I want all his calls sent to me. I’ll deal with Michael causing potential clients to look elsewhere.” I tell her.

 

After that conversation, looking out to see Michael sitting on my car was not a good thing for him.

 

“I came here to make my best friend remember I exist.” He tells me.

 

“Right now, I’m considering tossing your ass into traffic. Do you realize that I have fucking clients who need to be able to call me, but couldn’t get through because you were burning up all my phones?” I ask him.

 

“Then answer and I wouldn’t be doing it.” He tells me.

 

“Not a problem, because I’m going to have your numbers blocked from Kinnetik if it continues.” I tell him.

 

“Look, Ma’s expecting us for dinner, so let’s go.” He tells me, acting as if I didn’t say anything.

 

“I have plans, so have fun with Deb.” I tell him.

 

“No you don’t, you’ve been gone all week and it’s time you spent time with the gang.” He tells me.

 

“I’m sure you guys can have fun without me.” I tell him, pulling him off my car.

 

“At least give me a ride.” He tells me.

 

“Since Ted is going with you, ride with him. I made plans to be somewhere.” I tell him.

 

“Like it matters to you if the trick has to wait.” He tells me.

 

“You better catch Ted if you want a ride.” I tell him unlocking my door.

 

“Why, when you could take me?” He asks me.

 

“Because I’m not.” I tell him getting in and starting my car. I waved as I drove off.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian called and I asked him if he would mind just eating at my house tonight. I just wanted a quiet night. I called in an order at my friend Reese’s restaurant, and left early to pick it up. Reese and I ended up talking a lot longer than I expected, so when Brian called to tell me he was on his way, I told him to meet me at the restaurant, Reese offered us the private dining room.

 

“So this is the restaurant that started your business?” He asks me.

 

 

“Yep, Daphne and I kept telling Reese that he needed to share his genius in the kitchen, so when he did, he asked us to design the logo.” I tell him.

 

“Where is Daphne tonight?” He asks me.

 

“Her boyfriend is visiting, so I doubt I’ll see her much except for work.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to see if you would mind if Gus stayed with us at your house next weekend.” He tells me.

 

“It’s fine, but why not your loft?” I ask him.

 

“My friends tend to not understand that when I have Gus, I don’t have time to entertain them.” He tells me.

 

When we were done eating Brian and I walked out to the cars, I kissed him and told him I would meet him at my house.

 

BRIAN

 

I got in my car to leave when I saw Emmett staring at Justin’s car and then at me. I got back out and waited for Emmett to walk to me.

 

“You know you’ve done some real winners in the past, but none of us are going to accept this one.” He tells me.

 

“Why would that be Emmy Lou?” I ask.

 

“That kid doesn’t understand boundaries, that he’s suddenly with you doesn’t make the shit he did to Ben right.” He tell me.

 

“The only thing Justin is guilty of, was attending school.” I tell him. 

 

“That's not what we were told.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael telling you what he assumed, doesn’t make it true.” I tell him. 

 

“Well Ben wasn't denying it.” He tells me. 

 

“Or confirming it either, he just seems to enjoy Michael being jealous.” I tell him. 

 

“Ben isn't like that.” He tells me. 

 

“Then ask him to get off the fence and tell you the truth, because Justin doesn’t need anymore drama from them.” I tell him.

 

“You actually know the cheap trick’s name?” He asks me sarcastically.

 

“I know my boyfriend's name, and I know if you ever say that kind of shit in front of him, you're not welcome in my life.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian are you being serious?” He asks, looking at me like he's never seen me before.

 

“I'm just explaining how little you'll matter to me if you hurt Justin.” I tell him, getting in my car. 

 

“You realize Michael isn’t going to like this?” He asks. 

 

“I don’t care.” I tell him backing up to leave.

 

EMMETT

 

“Brian in a relationship? That wasn't something I saw coming. I'm not sure what to do, I mean do I warn Deb and Michael? Should I just stay the hell out of it? I mean he had a point, Ben hasn't really said anything one way or the other about the whole thing.” I tell Blake.

 

“Is there some reason you wanted to come to the rehab to talk?” Blake asks, confused.

 

“I needed to tell someone and you do the confidentiality thing.” I tell him. 

 

“Emmett, you do get that I'm a drug abuse counselor?” He asks. 

 

“It's just I know I'd say something if I didn't get this out.” I tell him. 

 

“Because I'm not part of the group, you told me?” He asks. 

 

“Blake are you ever going to talk to Ted?” I ask him, which was really why I came.

 

“I don’t see anything changing, so why go back to the same problem. 

 He can’t seem to tell Michael that his problems aren’t more important than our relationship.” Blake tells me.

 

“He loves you.” I tell him.

 

“I’d love to believe that, but the fact that Michael shows up and all of you take off, really doesn’t show me he loves me. The fact that all of you are single really doesn’t surprise me, because Michael goes out of his way to show anyone not in the gang that we aren’t wanted. Of course, the fact that Michael is in a relationship is fine, but no one else can be.” He tells me.

 

“Which brings me back to Brian dating the guy that hit on Ben.” I tell him.

 

“Why  would you need to worry about it? Does it means you’re going to decide to ruining Brian’s relationship, the way Michael ruined Ted’s, because that's all telling anyone would do.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not all Michael’s fault. You could have talk to Ted.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t say it was, but having him remind me that I was around only because Ted wanted it, didn’t make it better. All of you, except Brian, barely acknowledge me, and now you’re here like you didn’t treat me like shit too. It makes me wonder why you want me to get back with Ted.” He tells me.

 

“It’s just hard for me to get past that you once left Ted, not knowing if he was dying.” I tell him, feeling like an asshole for the way I’ve been treating him.

 

“The only person whose opinion mattered was Ted’s, but I got tired of being everyone’s whipping boy. I got tired of Michael saying shit and you and Ted laughing when it wasn’t funny. I got tired of my past being the only thing that mattered to all of you. So I decided to get the hell out before I needed Crystal to make it bearable to be with the man I love. I got away from the Michael ‘mean girl society’, and I’m just not willing to put myself back in a position where I would need to be at the rehab because I relapsed.” He tells me.

 

“I never realized that we were that bad.” I tell him.

 

“You were, I won’t sugar coat it, because I don’t see the point in treating you the way you all treat Michael. While I will most likely always love Ted, I don’t like the person Michael brings out in him. And I hate the person you are when you and Michael join forces.” He tells me.

 

“I guess I was wrong to bother you.” I tell him, getting up to leave.

 

“If it keeps you from screwing over Brian, I would rather you bother me. I know the position this guy is about to be in with this group. He’s about to take away Michael’s own form of Crystal, which to Michael is worse than my almost killing Ted. I just hope the guy is stronger than I was.” Blake tells me.

 

“You make it sound like we're villains.” I tell him.

 

“No, just the henchman for the real villain in this story.” Blake tells me.

 

I wandered around the street, not liking how Blake described us. I mean, for me it was that Blake hurt Ted at one time, but does that excuse the fact that I never defended Blake when Michael said something?  Blake didn’t slam the door in my face when I showed up really just shows the kind of person he is, when Michael would have made us beg to be forgiven. It's eye opening to hear from someone how he sees our behavior. He's right instead of just assuming Michael told the truth, maybe it was time to find out the truth. Brian is going to need all the help he can get when Deb and Michael find out who Brian’s seeing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

TED

 

I came to work early, because testing Brian is not a good idea. Of course he was already here, but I figured having the financials ready would at least make up for the shit yesterday. Although, me having to listen to Michael bitching all the way to Deb’s house, I'm sure was payback.

 

I sat up last night wondering if he was right about why Blake packed up and left me without a word. I keep hoping he’ll call me so we can solve whatever it was that made him leave. I just don’t understand how everything seemed to be okay, then he leaves.

 

I had all the notes ready to bring to Brian, when I saw him walking out with a guy. Where do I know that guy from? I waited until they were out in reception to see what they were doing. Brian was practically fucking the guy against the wall by the front door, and shit, anyone but that guy. Before they saw me I went back to my office, all I could think was the blond shit was going to find out that Brian wasn’t going to want him around when Brian finds out who he is.

 

I gather everything to go to Brian’s office, ready to explain to him exactly who the guy was. Walking in to see Brian looking happy just made this worse, knowing I'm about to change his mood.

 

“Ted, when did you get here?” He asks.

 

“I came in early to make up for yesterday. We need to… you need to know something.” I tell him. 

 

“Is there something wrong with the financials?” He asks. 

 

“No, everything's exactly where we expected them to be.” I tell him. 

 

“So this is about you watching me say goodbye to Justin?” He asks me. 

 

“If it's that blond asshole you're talking about, then yes.” I tell him.

 

“No, I was talking about my boyfriend, who you seem to know so well that you think calling him an asshole is appropriate.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, that’s the guy that Michael told us about. Remember, the one that keeps trying to steal Ben from Michael?” I tell him.

 

“Since Ben and Michael are still together, I don’t see any problem.” He tells me.

 

“So you're going to bring the ass… Justin around, when he caused so many problems for Michael?” I ask.

 

“I’m going to attempt to have a RELATIONSHIP with someone who I’m interested in. I don’t see why MY RELATIONSHIP should be causing you to think ‘Brian needs to be talked out of it’. While we’re on the relationship idea, why not call your ex and ask him why he left you? I think that should be more important than possibly continuing this conversation, which could end with you needing a job.” He tells me.

 

I got up and left before I said anything else. I have a feeling I was skating on thin ice. I stayed in my office most of the morning to avoid pissing him off further. Emmett showed up and told me we needed to go to lunch, but not at the diner. 

 

“Do you think we sometimes say shit that hurts other people?” Emmett asks me, looking upset.

 

“Everyone does, I mean think about the way Brian used to talk to us.” I tell him, thinking that for me, Brian was still talking to me that way.

 

“He never said anything that was malicious, just in our face with the truth. I went to see Blake last night, and he kind of gave me a ‘Brian in your face truth’.” He tells me. 

 

“Did he say anything about why he left?” I ask him. 

 

“He made it clear why he felt he had to.” He tells me. 

 

“He found someone else, didn’t he?” I ask.

 

“I don’t know if he did or not, he didn’t say. He left because he got tired of the way we treated him, and because if Michael called you, you took off.” He tells me.

 

“What did you do to Blake?” I ask, angry.

 

“The same thing you and Michael were doing. I mean, the night when Michael kept introducing Blake to everyone at his house party as the ex crystal queen, none of us stopped Michael. We even laughed when Michael said Blake working at the center would be like a crystal reunion for him. The thing is, at the time, I laughed to try to make it seem like a joke.” He tells me.

 

“When did Michael say that?” I ask him.

 

“You were talking to Ben behind us.” He tells me.

 

“I wouldn’t have laughed at something like that.” I tell him, pissed that Michael would even say it.

 

“Well there were other times when Michael said things and no one ever defended Blake from the shit Michael would say.” He tells me.

 

“Like Brian almost tore my head off over the guy he was with this morning.” I tell him, not saying who.

 

“Ted, don’t say anything, because Brian pretty much told me, any friendship would be over if I hurt Justin.” He tells me.

 

“Don’t you think it’s strange that Justin is seeing Brian, after the shit with Ben. What if he is just trying to be around Ben?” I ask him.

 

“Why would he want Ben, if he had Brian?” Emmett asks.

 

JUSTIN

 

Lindsay showed up with a resume and a book of sketches. Daphne came in and looked then offered her a job. We were both ready to have more than us doing everything.

 

“Do you have time for lunch?” Lindsay asks me, as Daphne gets the packet for employment for her.

 

“Sure, and while we eat you can fill me in on anything we need for Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Gus likes simple things like the park or kicking a ball around. So just give him attention and you'll be fine.” She tells me. 

 

“Did Brian tell you we were going to be staying at my house?” I ask. 

 

“No, but Mel and I know we can trust Brian with Gus, so he was probably going to tell us when he picked him up.” She tells me. 

 

“You guys seem to be working the three parents thing well.” I tell her. 

 

“A lot of it has to do with Mel and Brian deciding that Gus needed parents not bickering over insignificant things. I had to stop sitting around trying to play peacemaker, and tell them both that loving Gus was all that mattered. I was half the problem, because I let Brian help with things and didn’t tell Mel. So we agreed to sit down and discuss anything together if it involves Gus. So it was a long road to where we are now, but it works for us.” She tells me. “Shit, I hope Michael isn’t here.” She tells me, looking at two guys staring at us.

 

“Who are they?” I ask.

 

“There friends of Brian and Michael. Hopefully they’ll give you a chance before making a decision.” She tells me leading us to a table away from them.

 

“You and Mel seem okay with me, and really, that’s all I care about. I mean, I’m going to be involved with Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, Brian would never bring someone who he wasn’t serious about around Gus, so now that he finally has, I want to know the person who broke through the walls around his heart. I’ve been waiting years for someone to make my best friend happy.” She tells me, smiling up at the two guys. “Justin, Emmett and Ted, this is Justin, guys.” She tells them, almost warning them.

 

“We’ve met, you know the night you showed up at Babylon.” Emmett tells me.

 

“In case you don’t, it was when you ran away from Michael.” Ted tells me.

 

“I didn’t run away, I just decided that a night in jail wouldn’t be as fun.” I tell them.

 

“Stalkers tend to end up there.” Ted tells me.

 

“Ted, knock it off, or maybe after lunch I’ll stop by and tell Brian about the welcome you're giving Justin.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“No. I’d love to hear how I’m a stalker. I thought I was attending school, but Michael seemed to think that turning in an assignment was hitting on my teacher. Which I would get if I was even the slightest bit interested in his husband, but you know, I just don’t get what makes Ben so irresistible. He’s good looking, I’ll admit that, but that’s really all there is. I like a man who faces his problems, not runs around making excuses for why his husband followed me all over campus for days, saying shit that I could sue his ass for. So because Michael matters so little in my world, I asked that he be told to stay off campus, not sent to jail for stalking me.” I tell them.

 

“Michael said…” Emmett stopped when Lindsay glared at him.

 

“Michael says a lot of things, and a lot of it seems to be only true in Michael’s mind.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Is there some reason you two don’t think for yourselves?” I ask.

 

“I’ve always thought for myself.” Emmett tells me.

 

“You haven’t  proved it to me, when apparently you’ve already decided I’m whatever Michael told you I am. So I’ll save you the trouble of pretending you like me, don’t, because I couldn’t respect you for not giving me a chance before knowing who I am.” I tell them.

 

“Both of you need to think really hard, before you end up unemployed Ted, and you run to Michael and Deb to gossip, Emmett.” Lindsay tells them.

 

“Why would Ted be unemployed?” I ask her.

 

“Because Ted works for Brian, and should know Brian well enough to know that he wouldn’t give him a raise for this performance.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“If Ted’s good at his job, it shouldn’t matter that he doesn’t like me. I’ve worked with plenty of people who would stab me in the back while shaking my hand. It never stopped me from doing my job.” I tell her.

 

“I guess we’ll see you later Lindsay.” Emmett tells her, walking out with Ted.

 

“They aren’t bad people. In fact Emmett is usually really friendly, and Ted’s boyfriend left him recently, so I think they’ve been trying to relive their twenties again.” She tells me.

 

“I’m not going to let anyone treat me like I have to earn their approval. I tried that once with my father, and it just left me miserable.” I tell her.

 

“It’s just, Brian will cut them off if they do anything like that again.” She tells me.

 

“Why? If they don’t like me, it’s not Brian’s problem.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, when Brian wants something, anything that gets in his way, becomes roadkill.” She tells me.

 

“You had to say that when they were delivering the food.” I tell her, looking at my meatball sandwich.

 

“Well, it wouldn’t be any worse than watching Michael eat. Someday I’m going to explain to him what a napkin is for and possibly let Gus show him how to use a fork.” She tells me, laughing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I left Kinnetik for my weekly lunch with Blake. After he left Ted, I found Blake in Babylon with his old dealer and yanked his ass away. I took him to the loft and made coffee for us. I was determined to find out what he was thinking. After that I started calling to check on him and let him know he could come to me if he felt the urge to ruin his life. What I didn’t expect was that Blake was really someone I could talk to without feeling like I was always defending my life. We started having lunch every week after that. Blake is part of what made me pull away from Michael’s constant need to know everything about me, because Michael treated him like crap for reasons only Michael seemed to know. I’ve been disappointed in Ted and Emmett for following Michael, and Blake became the only person I really talk to outside of Lindsay and Mel.  I went to the usual table and sat down, Blake came in, looking worried.

 

“So how’s the world of the addicted?” I ask him.

 

“Good, two people just completed the program and I helped them get resumes ready for the two companies you got to offer them a chance at  jobs.” He tells me like a proud parent.

 

“If you get an artist, send them my way.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, Emmett came to see me.” He tells me.

 

“To tell you about Justin?” I ask.

 

“Yes, and then I unloaded on him.” He tells me.

 

“Blake, none of what happened should have.” I tell him.

 

“Thanks for stopping me.” He tells me quietly.

 

“No one should make you get to the point where all you have worked for gets destroyed. What did Emmy Lou want?” I ask him, changing the subject before he starts thanking me again.

 

“He was acting as if you dating Justin is a crime. It was hard not to tell him to go suck Michael’s dick.” He tells me.

 

“I’m sure that when Michael finds out, I’ll have him and Deb up my ass.” I tell him.

 

“Sounds like Emmett and Ted will be joining in on the party.” He tells me.

 

“Then they’ll be partying alone, and I’ll ban them the way Michael wanted me to ban Justin for dancing in my club.” I tell him.

 

“I heard it was Justin that Michael was accusing of trying to steal Ben.” He tells me.

 

“Justin didn’t realize that signing up for Ben’s class meant being harassed.” I tell him.

 

“So when do I meet the guy who's the bomb waiting to blow Liberty Avenue apart?” He ask laughing.

 

“You can meet him this weekend, we’re taking Gus so the girls can have a free weekend.” I tell him.

 

“How are you doing?” He asked.

 

“I’ve never been happier, and it’s only been a couple of weeks.” I tell him.

 

“Let him know that if he needs to talk, I’m there. It’s a minefield that I’ve already walked.” He tells me.

 

“Justin’s already been in the field, but I’ll let him know.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to ask a favor.” He tells me, hesitating. 

 

“Blake if you need something, ask.” I tell him.

 

“I need to get the rest of my things, and I’m not ready to face Ted yet.” He tells me.

 

“I can go there and get everything if you need it.” I tell him.

 

“I’m still looking for an apartment, so it’s not like I need everything, just the stuff my mom left me.” He tell me.

 

“There’s a loft available in my building.” I tell him.

 

“Which I can’t afford.” He tells me.

 

“It’s one of the smaller ones, I was already planning to buy it. I can make it in your price range.” I tell him.

 

“You know, I will never get how everyone sees you as the asshole.” He tells me.

 

“I am an asshole to people who piss me off, but you’ve never managed it.” I tell him.

 

“I wish there was a way to work things out with Ted, but it’s like he’s forever part of the ‘Michael Shitty Friend Society’.” He tells me.

 

“Which will have him in the unemployment office if it affects my relationship with Justin.” I tell him.

 

I answered my phone when I see Lindsay on the line. “Hey, everything okay with Gus?” I ask her.

 

“Gus enjoyed being the star pupil, but you need to rein in Ted and Emmett.” She tell me.

 

“What the hell did the idiots do now?” I ask, as Blake shakes his head.

 

“They were eating at the restaurant Justin and I went to and came over. I don’t think they expected Justin to say anything. When he did, they took off.” She tells me.

 

“Justin okay?” I ask.

 

“He didn’t seem to care, but right now it’s just Ted and Emmett.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll handle it, thanks for telling me.” I tell her hanging up.

 

“You know, I’ve only know you for a few years but even I know not to fuck with someone you care about.” Blake tells me.

 

“I have a feeling Ted and Emmett are about to figure out what you’re smart enough to already know.” I tell him as he pays for lunch. “I’m serious about the loft.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll think about it, I just don’t want to take advantage of one of the few friends I have.” He tells me.

 

I called Justin on my way back to Kinnetik to let him know Lindsay called me. 

 

“Brian, don’t fire Ted because he doesn’t like me.” Justin tells me.

 

“I won’t have anyone treating you like shit.” I tell him.

 

“There’s a whole world of people who won’t like me, are you going to fight them too?” He tells me.

 

“Why not, sounds like my kind of job.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“Look, just tell Ted if he has a problem with me, that the easy answer is stay away from me.” He tells me, hanging up after making dinner plans for us with the girls.

 

I walked in and could see Ted knew he was about to hear what I think.

 

“My office.” I tell him leading the way.

 

“Brian.” He protests.

 

“MY OFFICE IF YOU WANT TO STILL WORK HERE.” I yell when he didn’t move.

 

“I’ll apologize, but you can’t expect me to be nice to someone that tried to hurt our friend.” He tell me.

 

“You want to know why you're not fired yet?” I ask him. “Because Justin asked me not to, he asked that I just inform you that if you want to keep acting like an ass to him, that you stay away from him. Although, I think having to order you out of the building when he visits isn’t how I see you being able to work for me.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, we were just surprised to see him with Lindsay.” Emmett tells me from the door.

 

“So are you here to support Ted or are you here to end your business relationship with Kinnetik?” I ask.

 

“You would… I mean… Brian.” Emmett stutters.

 

“I think the fact that Justin would tell me to not do what I should, which is get both of you the fuck out of my life, says more about him than either of you. You two think you have the right to judge someone you’ve never met for something he didn’t even do. How does that makes you better people than the assholes who would hang us from a tree for being gay?” I ask them. “I’m beyond disappointed in people I know to be better than this, and unless you two straighten out your attitudes toward Justin, consider yourselves people I don’t want around me.” I tell them.

 

“Shit, do you think he’d be willing to listen to me grovel?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Not if you don’t mean it, or you are only doing it because you're worried about your jobs.” I tell them.

 

“He means this much to you?” Ted asks me.

 

“What he means to me doesn’t excuse you, but yes he does.” I tell them. “Ted get to work and when I say work, it means not calling Michael or answering calls when Michael gets pissy because I won’t answer him. Emmett, you decide if you want to lose Kinnetik, because Justin will be attending business events, but you won’t be throwing them if Justin is a problem for you.” I tell them.

 

EMMETT

 

Walking out of Kinnetik, I realized what I could be losing by judging Justin without evidence. I went to Carnegie and waited in Ben’s office for him. Ben walked in with a student, but asked the guy to wait outside while he talked to me. I watched as Ben smiled at the guy and didn’t like what I was seeing, but it wasn’t like he was flirting.

 

“What brings you here?” Ben asks sitting behind his desk.

 

“I need to know about Justin.” I tell him.

 

“He graduated, so it shouldn’t be a problem for Michael anymore.” He tells me, frowning at me.

 

“Ben, was Justin really doing what Michael said?” I ask.

 

“What has you asking?” He evaded.

 

“I want a straight answer because I stand to lose an account over Justin.” I evaded as well.

 

“It wasn’t really anything, he was just around.” Ben tells me hesitantly.

 

“Because he was a student taking your class, or because he wanted you?” I ask.

 

“It really doesn’t matter, since he’s no longer taking my classes.” He tells me getting up to open the door.

 

“It does matter, because I kind of shit all over him for something he possibly hasn’t done. Which means I’m a person I swore never to become, so fucking answer the question.” I tell him, not moving.

 

“He didn’t do anything, Michael just assumed and I didn’t correct it.” He tells me.

 

“Why would you do that?” I asked, wondering how I thought Ben was so mature.

 

“Because Michael finally stopped acting like I was second to Brian.” He tells me.

 

“No, now you're in line with us and Michael for the ‘Asshole of the Year award’, which Brian will give with a slam of every door in his world. Think Michael is going to think you’re first when he can’t get to Brian?” I tell him, leaving his office and pulling out my phone.

 

“Mel, can you tell me where to find Justin?” I ask.

 

“Nope, because I won’t help the campaign against him.” She tells me, hanging up without another word.

 

“Mel, I want to try to show him I’m not the person he thinks I am.” I hurried to get out when I called back.

 

“I’ll tell him, but right now you have another blonde on the warpath, so I’m saving my marriage by not helping you find him. I’m really saddened by what you and Ted are doing.” She tells me.

 

“I can’t speak for Ted, but I’m ashamed that I let Michael convince me of something that never happened.” I tell her.

 

“When did you figure that out?” She asks me.

 

“When I made Ben tell me the truth.” I tell her.

 

“I wish my friend Emmett well, but lately I haven’t seen him, because my Emmett wouldn’t have judged someone without a fair hearing.” She tells me, hanging up.

 

TED

 

My phone was driving me insane, fifteen calls in an hour. Is this what he does to Brian? The answer was yes, since I’ve sat next to him when he did shit like this. I went to turn it off but looked at the picture of Blake and I, and dialed Blake.

 

“Ted, did you need something?” Blake asked when I didn’t say anything.

 

“I need to know what I have to do to get you to come home.” I tell him, swallowing my pride.

 

“I don’t know anymore, it hurts that I can’t be with you, but I can’t have someone in my life that makes Crystal sound like a way to cope.” He tells me, sounding upset.

 

“I should have…” 

 

“Should is a what you say when you didn’t do something.” He tells me.

 

“I love you, help me figure out how to make us work.” I tell him.

 

“It won’t work, because I won’t ask you to give up friends for me, the way your friends want you to give me up.” He tells me.

 

“What do you mean by that?” I ask him.

 

“Ask Michael about Ian. It’s who he’s been trying to get you together with.” He tells me.

 

“He just wanted to introduce me to potential clients.” I tell him.

 

“Bye Ted..”

 

“Blake don’t, please... talk to me.” I tell him.

 

“Ian works as a bank teller, how would he be a potential client?” Blake tells me.

 

“Michael said Ian was a banker.” I tell him.

 

“Michael says things in a way that you can’t say he lied to you, but it’s there if you would see it. You want to know what it would take for me to give you a chance, it would take you not believing the gospel of Michael Novotny. I need to get my things, can I do that without you showing up? I have alternate plans with someone if you don’t want me in the apartment by myself.” He tells me.

 

“So you’ve started see other people?” I ask, dying a little.

 

“No, I found out I had a friend that I never knew I had. He kept me from doing something that would have landed me back to where I was when I met you, and he’s willing to help me if I need him. It’s nice to be able to depend on someone to be there for me.” He tells me, slapping the truth on the table.

 

“Blake, it will be different this time.” I tell him.

 

“How? When you already played Michael to Justin? It seems you’ve learned how to shit all over someone the way Michael does.” He tells me hanging up.

 

“So Ted, I thought you understood phones were only being used for business?” Brian tells me, standing at my door.

 

“How does Blake know Justin?” I ask.

 

“He doesn’t yet, but I’m willing to introduce Justin to someone who will at least get to know him before opening his mouth and spewing garbage on Justin.” Brian tells me.

 

“You’ve been talking to Blake?” I ask.

 

“Yes, you see, I wanted intelligent conversation, and strangely enough Blake can converse without sounding like a spiteful teen.” He tells me. “Which really makes me question why I ever thought you were intelligent.” He tells me, walking away.

 

DEB

 

Michael was complaining that Brian had Cynthia hang up on him when he called. I decided that it was time for Brian to stop this shit. I was waiting outside the loft when Brian pulled up with some guy. He was adorable, but then Brian always went for the lookers. When he looked up from the guy he frowned at me.

 

“Brian, I need to speak with you.” I tell him, smiling at his trick.

 

“Busy Deb, maybe later.” He tells me, handing the guy his keys.

 

“Brian, you need to give me a moment, then you can fuck the guy into the mattress.” I tell him laughing.

 

“Justin, I’ll be up in a minute.” Brian tells him.

 

“You got his name, that’s a new one.” I tell him, and wasn’t expecting the glare.

 

“Deb, I don’t have time for what’s wrong in Michael’s world. I don’t plan on placating Michael or you, and I would like it if you wouldn’t say that shit in front of Justin. He’s not a trick, but someone I want a chance to see what we could be.” He tell me.

 

“If you were serious about Justin, then why haven’t you brought him around?” I asks him.

 

“Because your son has been harassing him, and I won’t put Justin in Michael’s line of fire again.” He tells me.

 

“How could Michael be doing anything to him, when he doesn’t even know he exists?” I ask him.

 

“Oh he knows, he just doesn’t know Justin and I are together. I have to go, so go play with your son, he’s about to figure out that he isn’t the center of my world.” He tells me, walking into the building.

 

Walking away, I was confused at why Brian wouldn’t even introduce me to Justin. I got home to Michael sitting in the kitchen, complaining to Carl and Ben about Brian.

 

“Who’s Justin?” I ask.

 

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

DEB

 

When I asked the question, Michael looked confused. Carl looked like he just wanted to get the hell away from my kitchen, but Ben seemed to look worried about it.

 

“Who’s Justin, Ben?” I ask.

 

“Wait, is it that little blond shit that you seemed to think would leave you alone now that he’s graduated?” Michael asks.

 

“He was blond.” I tell Michael.

 

“Did he come to the diner trying to find Ben?” Michael asks, getting worked up.

 

“No, I went to the loft to see Brian…”

 

“I hope you told Brian that it’s bullshit that he’s not calling me.” Michael interrupts me. 

 

“I tried but he…”

 

“Well since he’s at the loft I’ll go see him and make sure he knows that we don’t appreciate the bullshit he’s been pulling.” Michael tells me, taking off before I could explain anything.

 

Ben got up to leave but I pointed at the chair. “Sit your ass down, before I leap into the hornet's nest.” I tell him.

 

“Deb, I’m not one of your kids.” He tells me.

 

“You married mine, so yes you are, you know we’ve all been pissed at this guy Justin because of what Michael told us. I want to run right back over there, but I also want to know that I’m not going to end up looking like a complete asshole to Brian. So explain to me what Justin did that caused Michael to believe he wanted YOU.” I tell him.

 

“Look he was just a nice looking student that Michael seemed to get jealous over.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why would Michael even have a reason to get jealous over a student in your class? Normally when I suspect something it’s because someone leads me to believe something is true.” Carl tells him.

 

“I might have mentioned Justin once or twice before Michael ran into him.” He tell us.

 

“Jesus, you did it to make him jealous?” Carl asks.

 

“I can’t help that Michael got jealous over nothing, Justin’s a smart kid who really worked hard in school and even owned a business before graduating. I was impressed that he did everything as young as he is, so I mentioned it when we were having dinner with friends. It’s something that just shows the world that being gay didn’t make anyone less than a straight person.” He tells us.

 

“But that’s not all, is it? It takes more than mentioning someone to cause Michael to rant about someone.” I tell him.

 

“You really believe that?” Ben asks me.

 

“Michael’s a sweet, caring man, so yes I know that you must have caused him to believe that the kid did more.” I tell him.

 

“Then maybe you should go see Blake, Mel, Lindsay, or even Calvin. You might find out that Michael isn’t all the sweet, caring man you seem to think he is.” Ben tells me.

 

“Mel and Lindsay didn’t like the way that Michael wouldn’t let them use Brian for money. Ted doesn’t even know why Blake left, and Calvin wasn’t ready to settle down.” I tell him.

 

“And you help Michael with excuses, there’s more to every one of those things that you never bothered to find out. Calvin left when Michael told him that Emmett was cheating with a guy at the gym.” Ben tells me.

 

“Well then Emmett shouldn’t have expected to keep a boyfriend if he was cheating.” I tell him.

 

“The cheating happened when Ted and Emmett were together, you see, Michael tells the truth, just not exactly the way it happened.” Ben tells me.

 

“Why are you even with Michael?” Carl asks him.

 

“I love him, and for once he wasn’t running after Brian, so fucking sue me for enjoying the fact that my husband loved me more than Brian Fucking Kinney.” He tells us, getting up to leave. 

 

I turned when Ben stopped, and saw Emmett was standing there looking betrayed.

 

“Emmett…” Ben stopped when Emmett shook his head and walked out of my house.

 

“There you go Deb, there’s an example of what your son does to people.” He tells me.

 

“You think it makes you any better that you knew what Michael was doing and didn’t think to tell his friends the truth, the whole truth?” Carl asks him. “Standing by while someone commits the act makes you just as guilty.” Carl tells him.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I were meeting the girls and Gus for dinner. Mel wanted to celebrate Lindsay’s new job, and thought we should all go. Gus decided that pizza and games were how to celebrate. We all decided to go to the place that had pizza and games. Mel and I sat around as Brian and Lindsay played skee ball with Gus for the tenth time. 

 

“There was a time when seeing that would have been hard for me.” Mel tells me.

 

I look over and see Gus with Lindsay helping him and Brian next to him trying to win tickets for Gus. 

 

“Now what do you see?” I asks her.

 

“I see that our son gets more love because I'm not making Brian and Lindsay’s friendship more than it is.” She tells me.

 

“I’d say they seem like a brother and sister, but yeah let's not put the incest in a relationship.” I tell her as we both start laughing.

 

“I heard you met Emmett and Ted.” She tells me.

 

“Well I met two guys who need to get a life.” I tell her.

 

“It’s kind of hard for them when they let Michael ruin the chances they had.” She tells me.

 

“Only the two people in a relationship can ruin it, they LET Michael do what he did, so it leaves them to only blame themselves when the relationship falls apart.” I tell her.

 

“So you won’t LET Michael pull the same bullshit on you?” She asks me.

 

“I’ve seen the other side of Michael, so it’s hard for me to see him as anything but an asshole.” I tell her.

 

“It’s really surprising when you do meet that part of Michael.” She tells me.

 

“What did you do to him?” I ask her.

 

“Lindsay and I convinced Brian to have a baby, that took Brian away from Mikey. It’s why I know that Brian seeing you will cause all sorts of shit to come from Michael.” She tells me.

 

Brian and Gus ran with Gus’s tickets while Lindsay sat down and kissed Mel. I inched away when they were going for a mature rating. Gus walked up with enough candy to give a dentist a lifelong patient and jumped in the middle of the mommies make-out session. 

 

EMMETT

 

Knowing exactly where Michael would be headed, I got a cab and showed up at Brian’s loft. I guess Brian got the locks and codes changed recently, because Michael was hitting the buzzer for every loft and they were yelling at him to leave them the fuck alone. 

 

“Emmett, did Brian tell you he was changing the locks?” He asks me.

 

“No, but lately I’m discovering all sorts of new things about my friends.” I tell him.

 

“Hey, call him, since he’s still being a prick and not answering me.” He tells me.

 

“Before I help you, can you explain to me why you told Calvin I was cheating?” I asked, wanting to rip his head off.

 

“What? I never told Calvin you were cheating.” He tells me.

 

“Ben mentioned that you told Calvin I was cheating with a guy at the gym.” I tell him.

 

“That’s not what I said, Calvin was looking at the guy you cheated on Ted with and I mentioned you and him have the same taste in men. That you and that guy hooked up at the gym.” He tells me.

 

“Then why would Ben say that you told Calvin I was cheating on him?” I ask him.

 

“I just mentioned that he should keep on eye on you because the guy and you hooked up.” He tells me, making it sound so innocent.

 

“I guess Ben just got it wrong.” I tell him. 

 

“Emmett why would I want to hurt you? I mean Calvin most likely felt uncomfortable around all of us, he was kind of well, just not the kind of people we like.” He tells me. “Now I need to find Brian and see why he thinks he doesn’t owe us an explanation.” He tells me. 

 

“He’s probably too busy with Justin to care.” I tell him, hailing a cab and driving away.

 

BLAKE

 

There was a point where having Emmett treat me like a friend was something I hoped for, but Emmett coming to me because he was sure he was going to be murdered by Brian was not how I ever saw this.

 

“I know I should have kept my mouth shut, but I'm sure now that Deb knows Michael was going to find out. So it's not like Brian could get pissed at me, right?” He asks. 

 

“I can't believe I'm going to help you.” I tell him. 

 

“Blake even though I never made you feel like a friend, I always did think of you that way.” He tells me, while I called Brian.

 

“Right now I’m happy that we weren’t.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Brian, Michael knows about Justin… I know you don’t care, but think about Justin… Deb went home after seeing you with Justin and asked Michael and Ben who he was… According to Emmett he didn’t stick around to find out Justin was dating you… Emmett ended up telling him, I think he figured out why Calvin broke up with him...Yeah, but you know they all live in denial when it comes to Michael… Okay I’ll see you this weekend, tell Justin I can’t wait to meet him.” I hang up to see Emmett fall on my couch staring at me.

 

“Is there something you want to tell me?” Emmett asks looking at my phone.

 

“Not really, he turned out to be a real friend when I needed him.” I tell him.

 

“Does Ted know about you and Brian?” He asks, almost accusing me again.

 

“Why would he? He was too busy kissing Michael’s ass to worry that I bought Crystal. Brian is the one that stopped me from going any further and made me talk to him. So I don’t see any reason to explain how Brian became important in my life to you or Ted, even though I just did.” I tell him.

 

“Brian never does anything that doesn’t benefit him.” He tells me.

 

“What did Brian ever do to you personally that makes you think that? Emmett I used to think you were the kind of person who gave someone a chance before you judge them. Maybe you need to stop letting Michael and Deb think for you. If this is going to turn into you saying shit about my friend, then go sit with Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Justin said the same thing to me when I wasn’t nice to him today, I never thought I was this person.” He tells me.

 

“I never did either. It’s strange that the guy you all think is selfish and self serving is the one who is likely the least of those things in your group. The ones everyone thinks are sweet and caring are really the assholes you accuse Brian of being. My advice is that you face Brian and don’t act like the reason you told Michael wasn’t anything but you being angry and wanting to see Michael hurt the way he hurt you.” I tell him.

 

“Do you think one day that we could try the friend thing again?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Not if Michael is any part of it, but I don’t tell anyone who they can be friends with.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I sat in my office debating whether I want to deal with Deb, who has been sitting patiently in my reception area for the last hour. Not demanding to be able to see me. Ted has been smart enough not to say anything that didn’t involve business for the last couple days. Michael has been silent, but I have a feeling he's just waiting until he's ready with his newest plan. 

 

P-Town changed a lot for me, and it's the reason I called Justin in the end. He was right, I didn’t call because I ran instead, to what I thought I wanted. I told Justin things in a way I never told anyone, and being the relationship-phobe everyone knows, I hid from giving more of myself than I ever had before. In one night he made it okay to say things that I hated about my life, and I wanted to lock him in with me and never let him go, so when I had the chance I went back to my old life. Only, the idea of fucking other guys didn't work like it always had. I kept trying to find a way to get Justin out of my head, which only led to me walking away from each guy. Which had Michael saying shit like they just weren’t up to my standards, loudly to everyone, to embarrass the men I was rejecting. Then trying to corner me to find out where the fuck my head was, which, when I thought about it, the answer was- with Justin. Lindsay was the reason I finally called.

 

“Brian, why are you even there?” She asked me.

 

“He made me feel.” I tell her quietly.

 

“It’s what someone who touches your heart does.” She tells me.

 

“He’s so much younger, and could have anyone, what makes me think I’m going to be the one he could stay with. I want him to stay, but why would he when he knows the life I’ve led.” I tell her.

 

“Because love isn’t a number, it’s wanting someone more than you want to breathe.” She tells me.

 

“I hate that I can’t stop thinking about him.” I tell her.

 

“Then do something to convince him you're serious about him, and bring the man who you love to meet us.” She tells me.

 

“I never said anything about loving him.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, you can’t stop thinking about him. Your words, not mine. What makes him so special to you that you called me to talk, in a way you never have?” She asks me.

 

“I told him things I haven’t told anyone, even you. As crazy as this sounds, if I could have found a way for him not to leave I would have kept him with me that day. I went to his graduation, not that he knows that, I mean what the hell was I thinking showing up when I really only just met him.” I tell her.

 

“My dearest friend, you fell hard for someone in one day. Avoiding him won’t change what you’re feeling, and trust me there just isn’t any pill to change it. Not running off with Michael, or playing at a game you’ve been tired of for a long time.” She tells me.

 

“I wonder if he will even talk to me after a week?” I tell her.

 

“Where is the Brian Kinney I know, because you never sit around, you go after what you want. So be you and go get your heart.” She tells me.

 

My heart, God, do people really fall in love that easily? I watch my friends go from man to man but never finding the one for them. Yet I met him under a streetlight, on a night I was planning on bypassing Babylon but almost wrecked my car when I saw him standing there.

 

I look up to see Cynthia eyeing me, so I nodded. It was time to see if I was going to lose the only mother I knew. Deb walked in, not screeching or giving her death glare, so at least I had one last chance to see her as the woman I always thought she was.

 

“What can I do for you?” I asked, not looking up from a flyer on my desk.

 

“You can let me say I’m sorry for the phone calls before, and I hope you allow me to meet your Justin.” She tells me.

 

“He’s not what Michael told you. I won’t put Justin through anything that could have him ending us.” I tell her, looking at her.

 

“I figured that out, when Ben told me he let Michael think those things.” She tells me.

 

“I’m waiting for Michael to show up.” I tell her.

 

“I told him if he did, not to expect to come to my house.” She tells me.

 

“This is different than I expected, you’ve always defended Michael’s actions.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, it’s not about Michael, but about you being happy in a way I’ve never seen you. So tell me about Justin.” She tells me, getting comfortable.

 

“He’s easy to talk to about anything, he gave me a chance when I didn’t call for over a week. I could tell he was just waiting for me to be the guy people told him I was, but didn’t seem to be passing judgement until I gave him a reason, which I never did.” I tell her.

 

“So, he managed to get past walls that I never thought anyone could.” She tells me.

 

“It’s hard to have walls when he didn’t give me a reason to have them.” I tell her.

 

“Carl and I would love to meet him, without any preconceived notions. Even if it’s just for dinner with the four of us.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll ask him, but maybe don’t call me a dozen times. He mentioned that he thought it was a bit excessive.” I tell her.

 

“Just tell him that I call that much out of boredom, when none of the queens at the diner are as entertaining as you are, but I’ll try to keep the number down.” She tells me, kissing my cheek and leaving.

 

JUSTIN

 

Just five seconds, five lousy seconds and I wouldn’t be standing here with the dickhead. Five, you know, the number before six, which was the reason I didn’t miss him. I went to get a coffee and stopped long enough to drop the napkin in the garbage and ended up face to face with Michael.

 

“You know, Brian isn’t going to want you when he finds out what you were trying to do to Ben and I.” He tells me.

 

“It’s me, not I, and since I didn’t do anything to Professor Bruckner, I don’t see Brian having a problem with it.” I tell him.

 

“You had Ben talking about you, because you keep running around him, showing off.” He tells me.

 

“I can’t help that your husband talks about me, but since he isn’t the kind of guy I go for, I don’t get what caused you to think I wanted him.” I tell him.

 

“Ben’s hot, and guys like you think it’s fun to fuck who ever you want. Ask Brian, it’s a motto he lives by, you’re just the flavor of the week, so have fun before you find out that he would never keep someone around if it means losing me as a friend.” He tells me.

 

“Okay, as interesting as your opinion is, I think I’ll let Brian and me decide how this relationship is going to work. Unlike your toadies, I have a mind of my own and can use it to make my own decisions. Right now my decision is to give the man that flew to see me a chance to prove with his actions that he wants me. If he decides you're more important, than I’ll allow you to spew to your heart's content how little I could mean to my boyfriend.” I tell him, looking over at a guy clapping.

 

“So, you ready to kiss Ted’s ass so he can finance yours?” Michael asks his new target.

 

“No, I’ll leave Ted to kiss yours, since you enjoy it so much.” The guy tells Michael. “Hi, I’m Blake, and you must be Justin. I mean, who else would have Michael foaming at the mouth but the guy Brian has told me so much about.” Blake tells me, shaking my hand and pulling me away from Michael.

 

“It’s nice to meet one of Brian’s friends, so far I’ve only met two, Lindsay and Mel.” I tell him, smirking when Michael frowns.

 

“They’re really great girls, and Gus is Brian all over again.” Blake tells me.

 

“Maybe Lindsay and Mel should be told that having a drug addict around Gus isn’t something they should be doing.” Michael says loudly, to everyone walking by.

 

“I guess they think that everyone deserves a second chance, I mean, I’ve been clean for three years.” Blake tells me, not Michael, who doesn’t like that we are ignoring him.

 

“Neither of them seem to care who you were, just who you are, so I could see why they were willing to give you a chance.” I tell him.

 

Blake was staring behind me and I turned to see Ted walking with Ben. “If you want to leave, we leave.” I whisper to him.

 

“I can’t avoid it forever, I just hate that I want to be with him.” He tells me, letting Ted hear him.

 

“Ted’s moving on, so why don’t you?” Michael asks him.

 

“Not a problem Michael, hopefully Ian is all he could wish for.” Blake tells him, as another guy comes in, walking towards Michael.

 

“I don’t want anyone but you.” Ted tells Blake.

 

“Why do you think I want Ted?” Ian asks, confused. “Michael was going to introduce me to Brian.” He tells us.

 

“I told you that Brian would be around, but so will Ted, not that I would set you up with Brian.” Michael tells him.

 

“No, I told you that I wanted to get to know Brian, but you said that I should make friends with Ted so that I could meet Brian.” He tells Michael.

 

“Witness what I told you Ted, and enjoy it.” Blake tells him, walking off.

 

“Hey Professor, tell Gilligan that if he doesn’t leave me alone that the restraining order you had the school convince me not to get, will be on your desk by tomorrow. I don’t appreciate being your tool to make your husband pay attention to your sorry ass.” I tell him, running after Blake.

 

TED

 

I waited for Ben to say something to contradict Justin, but he just walked into the coffee shop. Michael stood with his arms crossed glaring at Justin as he left to catch up to Blake. What the hell am I doing letting Blake think these two are more important. I turned to follow the man who should have been first, not second to a guy whose biggest accomplishment in life was being Brian Kinney’s best friend.

 

“If you follow him you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. He’s never going to be happy with you when there are so many other guys that could offer him more excitement than the latest opera release.” Michael warns me.

 

“It’s better than standing around acting like you’re really the friend I thought I wanted in my life.” I tell him.

 

“Since I’m really the only friend you have; I mean you could count Emmett, since he gives away friendship to anyone, but Brian barely tolerates you, and my Ma only likes people that I want around. So you’d be giving up the only real family you have, for a guy who most likely will have you dancing with Crystal again.” He tells me.

 

“Fuck you Michael, and all the great advice you give.” I tell him, leaving to go back to work.

 

I followed Justin and Blake until they went into a building that was the new headquarters for an up and coming business, J&D designs. I saw a girl about to go in and stopped her.

 

“Is this J&D designs?” I ask, just to see what she’d say.

 

“Yes, I’m Daphne, the D, and my partner Justin is the J. Are you interested in us helping you meet your business needs?” She asks me.

 

“I think Ted is more interested in why Justin walked into the building with Blake.” Lindsay tells her as she walks by me.

 

“Why are you here?” I ask Lindsay.

 

“Justin and Daphne hired me to work for them. Apparently my art was just the kind they were looking for. Did Brian send you here to get Justin to work on something? Because otherwise you should get to work before your late, yet again.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I need to see Blake.” I tell her.

 

“Ted, straighten out what’s important in your life then when you see Blake make sure it’s him.” Lindsay tells me.

 

I walked into Kinnetik and went into Brian’s office without invitation. I needed to tell him what an ass I’ve been lately.

 

“Getting back early from lunch. Just trying to impress me or did you come to lick your wounds?” He asks, looking up at me.

 

“How did I become someone who could screw up with Blake?” I ask him.

 

“You had help, but you didn’t seem to be able to see past Michael and his way of making it sound like you would be better off without someone who was younger and more attractive than you ever thought you’d get.” He tells me.

 

“Or you thought I could get.” I tell him.

 

“No, I just assumed you’d find away to let your insecurities fuck it up and once again I was right.” He tells me.

 

“You don’t think that Justin will give you the same kinds of insecurities?” I ask him.

 

“I’m not looking for an exit strategy that Justin could take, so I won’t let those thoughts win. I listened to the advice of a friend and realized she was right, love isn’t a number.” He tells me.

 

“Is Blake done with waiting on me to get my shit together?” I ask him.

 

“I think Blake would wait until the day he died if you gave him a reason to believe in you. One thing you need to understand, you fuck with his head one more time and I’ll make it so you never get near him again. He didn’t deserve the shit you made him want to do.” Brian tells me.

 

“How did he manage to get in the circle of Brian Kinney?” I ask.

 

“Not by bending over, if that’s what you're trying to imply. He needed a friend, when you weren’t being anything but a reason to want to hurt himself. I couldn’t let someone who managed to kick the bullshit out of his life let it back in. I respect him for being able to repair his life and move on to better things. Now I respect the fact that he’s a positive influence on my life and others who need someone to stand by them when they need someone to be a light in the dark for them.” He tells me. “Since I’m done with this conversation, get to work and maybe you’ll find a way to get Blake to see you as more than one of Michael’s mouthpieces.” He tells me.

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Blake sat on my couch and didn’t say much after the whole run in with Michael. I started drawing, trying to think of something to say.

 

“You still love Ted?” I ask.

 

“I sometimes wish I didn’t. When I met him I was really messed up, and it wasn’t exactly love, just someone to mess around with. He and I never really had a ‘normal relationship’, it’s been up and down for years.” He tells me.

 

“What makes him the person you thought you could love?” I ask him.

 

“When it’s just Ted and me, everything is great. It’s just, when Michael comes around, it’s almost like Ted wishes I was more like Michael.” He tells me.

 

“Why would he want you to be anything like Michael?” I ask him.

 

“When Michael’s around people he likes, he puts off this vibe like he’s a wonderful man who only looks out for his friends. If you aren’t a friend, he lets you know, but does it in a way that makes it look like you're the one who’s being unreasonable, not him.” Blake tells me.

 

“Like what? I’ve only seen someone who honestly seems like he has ‘little man’ issues.” I tell him.

 

“Lindsay could probably tell you a lot more than I can, but it’s like when we were all going out together, he would always act like I was included, but then cut off any conversation I was having, either with Ted or especially with Brian. See, Brian was really the leader of the group, but Brian didn’t dictate who any of them could date or talk to, but when Brian wasn’t there, it was like Michael decided he was the leader.” He tells me.

 

“Michael used that he was Brian Kinney’s best friend to control the group?” I ask.

 

“And it works, because for the longest time, if anyone hurt Michael they dealt with Brian. After Michael married Ben, Brian seemed to back off being the protector. Which meant no one to stop Michael from being the asshole he is, because Ben is so blinded by love that he won’t do the one thing Brian did, and tell Michael to shut up.” Blake tells me.

 

“Because Ben’s whipped, not blinded.” I tell him.

 

“It just got to be more than I could handle. I’d cleaned myself up, but I’ve always felt like I was lucky that Ted still wanted me after all the shit I put him through, and maybe it’s why I never defended myself when Ted wanted to know why I didn’t treat Michael nicer.” He tells me.

 

“Right now I can’t see why you even want someone who seems to put that asshole first.” I tell him.

 

“Ted’s not normally like this. He’s normally a sweet man who likes simple things. I think that when he went to work for Brian, Michael got jealous that Brian and Ted were spending more time together than Brian spent with Michael. I don’t think it’s really me that Michael had a problem with, but that Ted’s relationship with Brian was changing. Emmett’s been showing up at my office lately and he’s recently had the rose colored glasses smashed by Michael.” He tells me.

 

“They both rub me the wrong way, not as bad as Michael, but they don’t make me want anything to do with them.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t say much to defend them, since they aren’t the people I thought they were.” He tells me.

 

“Mel told me that Emmett wanted to talk to me, but I just don’t see the point if they already made up their minds about me.” I tell him.

 

“Hi, can I come in?” A redheaded lady asks me.

 

“Deb, if you're here to give Justin a hard time, Brian will not appreciate it.” Blake tells her, and mouths ‘Michael’s mom’ to me.

 

“No, I wanted to meet Justin, but not because of anything my son said. I also want to talk to you and find out if and how I can help Ted get the man he loves back.” She tells Blake, and I see Lindsay behind her, looking at Deb as if she’d pounce on Deb.

 

“Lindsay, I might defend Michael too much, but not in this.” She tells her.

 

“It’s fine Lindsay.” I tell her.

 

“I think I’d like to hear this change of heart, since Mel and I were constantly to blame when Michael was accusing us of things the way he seems to accuse Justin of something he wasn’t doing.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“I feel like I have a lot to apologize for lately.” She tells us. 

 

“If you'd actually talk to everyone before believing Michael, you wouldn't need to apologize.” Lindsay tells her. 

 

“I don’t need an apology from you.” I tell her. 

 

“Because I haven't made a fool of myself to you?” She asks. 

 

“Deb, you never did anything to me either. I just always felt like you didn’t really want me around. You never said anything, it's just the way I felt.” Blake tells her.

 

“I wish Mel and I could say the same.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Which is more my fault then Michael’s, it felt like you didn’t want me around Gus.” She tells Lindsay.

 

“It was never that we didn’t want you around Gus, it's that you tend to make us feel like we couldn’t do anything right when it came to Gus.” She tells Deb.

 

“I'm a busy body, it comes from having to raise Michael on my own. I would love to spend time with Gus, just tell me when I'm being overbearing. I'll try to rein it in.” She tells Lindsay.

 

“I need to get to work, but Deb, we'll talk later.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“I was supposed to be just getting coffee, so I have to go too.” Blake tells us, following Lindsay from the room.

 

“I promise to behave, if you're willing to talk to me.” Deb tells me. 

 

“I'm just not sure what you want to talk about.” I tell her. 

 

“Other than my idiot son, there's Ted and Emmett. I heard you were having a hard time with them.” She tells me. 

 

“They seem to have decided I'm a man stealing asshole, just don’t see how I could be friends with people who didn't even give me a chance.” I tell her. 

 

“I could give you my opinion on what those two are really like, maybe it would help.” She tells me. 

 

“Why would you want me to like them?” I ask. 

 

“Because they're misguided, not assholes.” She tells me. 

 

“It's how Blake and Lindsay seem to see them too. All I've seen is that they want me out of Brian’s life.” I tell her. 

 

“If it were Michael you were saying that about, you'd be right. In their minds you hurt Michael, and in the past, if you did Brian would have been in your face. Now they’re dealing with a Michael that doesn't have Brian telling him he's wrong. It's like they took on Brian’s role but forgot they aren’t the man Brian is.” She tells me. 

 

“I don’t understand how, for example, Ted let someone cause him to lose Blake, when he seems to love Blake.” I tell her. 

 

“Are you worried that it could happen to you and Brian?” She asks. 

 

“No. I wouldn't let what someone else thinks matter. Brian already told me that if I want to know something, ask him, not look to anyone else for answers. Which is what I see happened to Ted and Blake.” I tell her. 

 

“You don't blame Michael?” She asks.

 

“I’m sure he didn’t help by treating Blake like crap, but Ted didn’t have to stand by and make Blake deal with it alone. He could have asked Blake why he didn’t like Michael and listened, instead of acting like Blake was wrong. That’s really just my opinion on what I’ve seen so far, because instead of running after Blake today, he just stood there dumbfounded to find out that Michael was trying to set him up with some guy, who apparently thought he was being set up with Brian.” I tell her.

 

“It’s like I find out something new every hour. Justin, Ben had to admit to me and Carl that he helped make Michael think that you were interested in him, and I’m not saying that to excuse my son, but so you understand where the whole fiasco started from. I’m not sure what Ben was thinking, to subject someone to the things you probably had to deal with.” She tells me.

 

“I couldn’t tell you either, since the only time I saw Professor Bruckner outside of class was to hand in assignments when he told us we had to bring them to his office.” I tell her.

 

“I just came to let you know that I would love to meet and get to know the man that Brian loves.” She tells me.

 

“We’ve only known each other a few weeks, I won’t say we were in love yet, but possibly.” I tell her.

 

“The fact you can say possibly, is really big for Brian. Just don’t let anyone get between you.” She tells me getting up and hugging me.

 

“I never do.” I tell her.

 

BRIAN

 

“Brian, you deal with him, or I’m going to make it so you never have a decent cup of coffee.” Cynthia tells me, standing in front of my desk.

 

“Since you’ve never gotten my coffee, you’ll have to do better than that.” I tell her, when I see Michael pacing outside my office.

 

“He said that he’d chain himself to my desk. Why mine and not yours or Ted’s? You two are the ones that make me question your intelligence for staying friends with Michael past puberty, so he should be pissing you off, not me.” She tells me.

 

“Let him in.” I tell her signing dramatically.

 

“Not going to get me to feel sorry for you.” She tells me, opening the door and waving Michael in.

 

“Finally. What did you have to do, tell Brian all the wonderful things you think about me?” He asks her smiling.

 

“Yeah, there were just so many things that I felt Brian didn’t know about my undying love for your many, many phone calls.” Cynthia tells him rolling her eyes as she walks away.

 

“You should tell her that her jokes don’t come off as friendly.” Michael tells me, sitting on the couch.

 

“I don't have to tell Cynthia anything, she understands how I want her to behave.” I tell him, staying at my desk.

 

“We need to talk about this guy who thinks he can talk to me like I don’t mean anything to you.” Michael tells me. 

 

“Nothing to talk about, Justin can say and do as he pleases.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, he accosted me at a coffee shop and acted like I was wrong to want him to stay away from Ben. He can’t seem to leave Ben alone, do you really want someone who would cheat on you if Ben would give him the time of day?” Michael asks me.

 

“No. I wouldn’t want anyone who would give Ben the time of day.” I tell him.

 

“Good, then I’ll go explain to Justin that he needs to leave you alone.” He tells me, getting up to leave.

 

“I didn’t say anything about Justin, because Justin wouldn’t give Ben the time of day. Take Ben’s class to meet a requirement to graduate, he did. Hit on Ben, he didn’t.” I tell him, as he opens the door and closes it again.

 

“Brian, I found them together in Ben’s office.” He tells me.

 

“Doing what? From what I was told, Ben was looking over Justin’s assignment.” I tell him.

 

“You didn’t see the looks Justin was giving Ben.” He tells me.

 

“But you did, from the door. Wouldn’t that be the back of Justin’s head you were seeing?” I ask.

 

“It was his body language.” Michael tells me.

 

“You can judge body language? Then tell me what mine is saying to you. I’ll give you a hint, it’s ‘GET THE FUCK OUT’. You know what else it’s saying, it’s saying that if you cause one ounce of stress for Justin, not to call me, because what’s left of our friendship will be over.” I tell him as Ted comes in the door and almost hits Michael with it.

 

“Watch out Ted, you almost hit me with the door.” Michael tells him.

 

“Damn, I missed, I won’t next time. Brian we have a conference call to take.” Ted tells me.

 

“Brian, we’ll talk about this later. And Ted, he’s gone, deal with it.” Michael tells him, trying to pass him.

 

“He’s gone for now, but since I finally figured out why, I have hope to get Blake back. Then you want to know what I’m going to do Michael?” Ted asks him.

 

“Worry about when Blake meets some other, older, richer guy?” Michael asks him.

 

“No. Make new friends, so he and I can be happy.” Ted tells him.

 

“I can’t help that he couldn’t take a joke.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael.” I call him. “Blake loves jokes and kidding around, what he doesn’t love is having to deal with your issues that Ted didn’t love you best anymore.” I tell him.

 

“So now you read minds?” Michael asks me.

 

“It was much easier, I asked my friend Blake.” I tell him.

 

Michael waited like there had to be a punchline, when I didn’t say anything more he frowned and started to open is mouth.

 

“Don’t right now. I’m trying to decide if you mean anything at all to me. You say one word right now about Blake or Justin, and you won’t.” I tell him.

 

Ted and I watch as Michael walks out of the office and out Kinnetik’s front door.

 

“What conference call?” I ask Ted, seeing no lines flashing on my phone

 

“I can go and call from my office to yours if you need me to.” Ted tells me, smiling

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian was running late so I told him I would pick up Gus for him. I got to Mel and Lindsay’s to see Emmett sitting on the stairs. When I pulled in he didn’t move but waited for me reach the stairs. 

 

“I know you have no reason to talk to me and right now I’m hoping Mel keeps Lindsay from coming out here and kicking my ass, but I want a chance to maybe reintroduce ourselves.” He tells me.

 

“You know, I don’t see any reason we need to be friends. It’s okay not to like me, or even talk to me.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just, well I think that I need to find real friends.” He tells me.

 

“Or learn that sometimes you don’t trust someone without facts to base assumptions on.” I tell him, sitting down.

 

“It wasn’t you, it was me.” He tells me.

 

“Are we breaking up?” I ask, laughing.

 

“No, but I could see how that would sound like that. I look in the mirror and don’t like the person I see. Someone who could treat a person the way I treated you.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know what to tell you, I’ve always tried to give people a chance first. Now it just seems like you’re apologizing just to do it.” I tell him.

 

“I’m hoping you’ll give me a second chance to show you I’m not the asshole you think I am.” He tells me.

 

“Then give me a reason to give it to you.” I tell him.

 

“How?” He asks.

 

“Don’t give Brian a reason to have to constantly defend me. I don’t want a relationship where I feel like he has to do that.” I tell him.

 

“I talked to my ex, Calvin, and he told me he didn’t want to try again.” He mentions.

 

“And you're telling me this for what reason?” I ask him.

 

“To tell you something he told me. He said that he couldn’t be in a relationship with someone who would let his friends treat someone like they weren’t good enough just because they came from a hick town in the middle of nowhere. Which is where I came from, so why am I allowed in Michael’s world when someone who came from the same place I did, was, as Michael put it, ‘not the kind of people we like’.” He tells me.

 

“What did you come up with?” I ask.

 

“Michael isn’t really anyone’s friend.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not asking you to hate Michael, or even to end your friendship. I’d like to know the person others seem to think you are, but we started in a bad place. Show me who you are, and we can decide from there.” I tell him.

 

“Jussin save me. Mommy wants to put the sailor hat on.” Gus runs out and jumps in my lap.

 

“I’ve always loved a man in uniform.” Emmett tells him, tickling him.

 

“So we’ve been told, since a certain football player.” Lindsay tells him, trying to put the hat on.

 

“Mommy, Daddy says not to ruin a style by too many accessories.” Gus tells her seriously.

 

BRIAN

 

I was packing up my desk for the weekend and signing off on the latest account boards, so that this weekend I didn’t need to be called. When I walked by Ted’s office he was staring at the screen as if it had some answers.

 

“Time to go home.” I tell him.

 

“What for, nothing’s there.” He tells me.

 

“What did you expect him to do Ted, put up with being harassed and suffer in silence?” I ask him.

 

“Did I really make him feel like Michael meant more?” He asked me.

 

“You should be asking him, not me.” I tell him.

 

“He’s not answering me.” Ted tells me.

 

“Then stop calling and go talk to him. He needs to see that he’s not going to be sitting alone waiting for you to remember he was there.” I tell him.

 

“You have one relationship and now you give advice?” He asks me.

 

“Ted, I flew to Orlando to prove I wasn’t just words to Justin. I spent the day at fucking Disney, which I wouldn’t have done normally, but I did it because I wanted to be with him.” I tell him.

 

“I’m just trying to wrap my mind around the idea of you in the Magic Kingdom.” He smirks.

 

“What I’m trying to point out is, that I made sure Justin didn’t doubt that I was serious.” I tell him.

 

“I haven’t given Blake any reason to trust me.” He tells me.

 

“Ask him how we became friends, but when you do, don’t making it sound like you're accusing him of something. When you hear the reason, you need to decide if you like the person who made him feel that way.” I tell him, leaving to meet up with Justin and Gus.

 

TED

 

I called Blake’s friend Alice to see if she could give me a clue to where Blake planned to be tonight. I didn’t even know where he’d been staying, which made me feel like an asshole for not checking that he was okay. I walked into the library and found him reading on a couch in the corner. 

 

“Hey, can we talk?” I ask him quietly.

 

“Michael busy tonight?” He asks, not looking up.

 

“I don’t know, I haven’t seen him since I tried to catch up to you the other day.” I tell him.

 

“I guess I must have run too fast for you to bother.” He tells me, still staring at his book.

 

“Blake, I didn’t go into Justin’s building because I didn’t want to force Justin to deal with me after the shit I did to him.” I tell him.

 

“I’m reading, so I don’t have the time to talk to you.” He tells me.

 

“Okay.” I tell him, and turn to the bookshelves and grab a book and sit down across from him.

 

“What are you doing?” He asks, looking at me.

 

“If this is the only way I can at least be near you, then I’ll sit here with you.” I tell him, opening the book.

 

“You're going to read about migration of birds?” He asks, looking at the book.

 

“Why not, it’s not like I care what it takes to be with you.” I tell him.

 

Blake returned to his book, but every once in awhile looked up to see me. It was better than telling me to go away, so I looked at the pictures when the words were making me want a nap. An hour later he put the book away and offered me his hand. I grabbed it and followed him out of the library.

 

“Ted, this doesn’t mean I’m saying yes to a relationship again. I miss touching you, but I don’t know if I can keep trying when we fail consistently.” He tells me. 

 

“What happened the last time we failed?” I ask him.

 

“I went to my old dealer.” He tells me.

 

“What stopped you?” I ask.

 

“Brian Kinney stopped me. He saw me talking to Reggie and yanked my ass out of Babylon. Took me to the loft and sat up the whole night telling me that no one was worth ruining everything I work for.” He tells me.

 

“You still didn’t say what happened, because up until I came home to find you gone, you seemed to be okay.” I tell him.

 

“I wasn’t, and the fact that you seem to think we were okay tells me that you ignored the fact that I was miserable.” He tells me.

 

“Don’t take this as me defending anything about Michael, but it couldn’t be all Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Ted, you told me once that you once wanted Michael, remember?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, but a lot of that had to do with being lonely and he was always around.” I tell him.

 

“If Michael had turned to you and said, ‘Brian is never going to love me, so Ted, let's make a go of it.’ How would you have reacted to it?” He asks me.

 

“I would have told him to fuck himself. I was never that desperate to be with someone, at least I hope not.” I tell him.

 

“Imagine what it was like for me to hear that at one time you loved Michael the way Michael loved Brian, then having to watch you chase after Michael whenever he called. I had to wonder if I was your consolation prize for not getting your fantasy man, the way Ben is for Michael. Only I’m not willing to use people like Justin to get you to pay attention to me.” He tells me.

 

“I’ve always worried that you would meet someone who would give you a more exciting life, someone younger.” I tell him.

 

“Ted, I wanted you, not excitement. I don’t mean you’re not exciting, but I don’t want someone who’s jumping out of planes. I want the guy who sits next to me while I’m watching trashy TV shows, even when he rather be sleeping.” He tells me.

 

“And ended up sleeping and drooling on you.” I tell him.

 

“It was that you tried.” He tells me.

 

“I want to succeed this time.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t move back in, I think we need to see if we can do this first.” He tells me.

 

“I can accept that, I can accept anything that isn’t no. Blake I promise…” 

 

“Show me, no promises yet.” He tells me, kissing me and hailing a cab.

 

“I would have given you a ride home.” I tell him.

 

“I know, but Alice still wants to rip your balls off, and I would like to use them again.” He tells me, getting in.

 

I got home, feeling less like my world was ending. My phone rang, when I saw it was Michael I sent it to voicemail. My world couldn’t include Michael if I was going to make this work with Blake.

 

BEN

 

I was staring at Michael as he called Ted, then Emmett, and Ted, then Brian. He was getting frustrated as no one was picking up. 

 

“Michael we can go do something with Eli and Monty.” I tell him, praying he’d quit ignoring me.

 

“I wanted to see if the guys were going to Babylon.” He tells me.

 

“I think they're pissed at us right now.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t do anything they should be pissed at me for. They don’t like the truth, which is that they pick losers to date and then are surprised when the relationships fail.” He said, as if he was Brian. Then dials again.

 

“You made Blake and Calvin feel like they weren’t wanted around.” I tell him the truth.

 

“Why would Blake want Ted? I mean, he’s not good looking, and he’s boring when he talks. The only thing Ted has going for him is that he makes a lot of money working for Brian.” He tells me.

 

“Nice to hear what you really think about me.” Ted says, from the speaker on Michael’s phone.

 

“I thought I was calling Emmett.” Michael tells me.

 

“That makes it so much better, lose my number Michael.” Ted tells him, hanging up.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I got to Justin’s house to find him chasing a naked Gus around. When he saw me, he handed me the towel.

 

“Your turn, it's like the clothes Lindsay wants him to wear don't meet with his idea of style.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“She put him in the sailor suit again?” I ask.

 

“Tried the hat, but he rebelled.” He tells me as Gus comes flying past us only stopping when he sees me.

 

“I don’t wanna wear those clothes Daddy.” Gus tells me walking to the towel I hold out.

 

“I know your mommies don’t understand what designer is, but naked attracts the wrong attention.” I tell Gus, picking him up and grabbing the bag I brought with me. Gus and I went into Justin’s room to get him changed. We came out to dinner on the table.

 

“I picked up dinner and other things for the weekend since Blake wanted to come by and hang out. So what do you like Gussy, I have grilled chicken and pasta or salad?” Justin tells me.

 

“Chicken, pasta, and salad.” Gus tells him.

 

I took the plate and made it for Gus, who stared at me until I added pasta to mine too. “Gus, Daddy is going to end up at the gym.” I tell him.

 

“Carbs are evil?” Gus asks.

 

“Yes, and make sure you remind your mommies.” I tell him smiling.

 

“You met Blake?” I ask.

 

“I met Blake and Deb, and had Emmett asking to try again, so it’s been interesting.” He tells me.

 

“What did Deb want?” I ask.

 

“I think she just wanted to meet me. She seemed like she wanted to make up to Lindsay and Blake. It’s just, and don’t take this as me not liking her, but when Blake said he felt that she didn’t like him, she didn’t say anything but went on to Lindsay and Mel not letting her see Gus. Does she not like Blake?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t think she has much of an opinion on Blake one way or the other. Blake avoided family dinners. Deb only really knows Blake from the time he wasn’t cleaned up and sober.” I tell him.

 

“Blake is cool, Jussin.” Gus tells him.

 

“I think so too.” Justin tells him.

 

“He always lets me play doctor when we see him.” Gus tells Justin.

 

“At the rehab, Blake lets him sit around pretending he’s seeing patients.” I tell Justin, to clarify.

 

“I want to be a doctor, my daddy, a lawyer, and an artist, maybe a fireman too.” Gus tell Justin.

 

“Interesting choices, but what is your daddy?” Justin asks him.

 

“He’s Daddy.” Gus tells Justin, looking at me.

 

“He doesn’t really understand what I do, but he would understand what you do.” I tell Justin.

 

“What do you do?” Gus asks, probably to add to his future list of careers.

 

“I’m an artist and I’m also helping to design a game for kids like you.” Justin tells him.

 

“You never told me that.” I tell him.

 

“Grant’s father is a software designer, he likes the graphics I can do. I can’t really talk about it due to confidentiality.” He tells me.

 

“Grant is the one that doesn’t talk?” I ask.

 

“Oh he talks, it’s just he was a bit starstruck.” Justin tells me, smiling.

 

“Can I play the game?” Gus asks him.

 

“When we get to the test stage you can come with me if your daddy and mommies don’t mind.” He tells Gus.

 

“I like him Daddy, can we keep him?” Gus whispered.

 

“I think we can.” I tell him.

 

Gus was playing with a game on Justin’s computer. Justin showed me the first graphics he worked on for Alex, Grant’s father.

 

“He liked the kind of stuff I was learning and helped me learn how to use programs for drawing.” He tells me, as Gus seemed to forget us.

 

“You spent a lot of time with Grant?” I asked, wondering about Grant’s relationship to Justin.

 

“We met in college and his father liked that Daphne and I were keeping Grant out of trouble. So when Daphne went home for holidays, I stayed with Alex and Grant” He tells me.

 

“Why not with Daphne?” I ask him.

 

“My parents attend all the same events and I just didn’t want the Chandlers to feel like they had to disclude my family from events they attended for years. I also think that Daphne’s dad isn’t as comfortable with my being gay as he tries to be, it’s not like my father, but I can see he doesn’t really get it.” He tells me.

 

“Carl, Deb’s boyfriend, was like that before Deb told him to get over himself. So you and Grant never?” I ask.

 

“No, he goes more for guys like you. We ended up friends and there was just nothing making either of us want to go further.” He tells me.

 

“I ran into Michael when I went to get coffee.” He tells me.

 

“Mikey told me you ‘accosted’ him, so I figured out you ran into him.” I tell him.

 

“I'm starting to figure out that Michael and facts tend to get twisted.” He tells me. 

 

“He tells things the way he wants them to be, not how they actually happened.” I tell him. 

 

“It's just curiosity, but what happened with the mommies? You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael would tell you Lindsay wanted to play house with me, and did tell that to Mel. Lindsay and I screwed around in college, but it was just that to us. At the time there was no Mel, but Michael showed up one day and found us, and when Mel met Lindsay, he told her. So Mel and I had problems because Lindsay and I are close. When Lindsay and Mel wanted a child, Lindsay came to me, which upset Mel because she didn't want to know the father. When Lindsay told Mel the only way she would be the one to get pregnant was to have me as the father, it had Michael cracking jokes at dinner nights about how Mel should be worried we’d decide to do it naturally, since Lindsay is so in love with me. It just led to a lot of arguing, and one day I showed up at Mel’s office and told her if she wanted to we could fuck if it bothered her so much. I think it was then Mel realized that we had to start getting along, because she realized it was just that when Lindsay and I messed around. Then Michael was snooping through my things in the loft one day when I wasn’t home, and noticed a canceled check to Lindsay for things that Gus needed. He took it to Mel and told them that obviously they had Gus to get me to pay for their lives. Which wouldn’t have been as big as it became if Lindsay had told Mel where the money came from. Lindsay wasn’t asking for huge amounts, but they decided that Lindsay could stay home with Gus and without Lindsay’s income Mel would have had to spend the money she got from her family just to survive. I couldn’t see them not having something to fall back on when they really needed it, so I told Lindsay to come to me and I had no problem making sure Gus got the things he needed. Michael started making it sound like they were expecting me to support them, to Deb and everyone else. It bothered Mel that it sounded like she couldn’t take care of her child, and Deb spouting how she managed all on her own made it sound like she was telling Mel she couldn't, when I think Deb was just talking, not meaning the girls. After that Lindsay and Mel backed away from anything involving Michael and Deb because neither of them felt the need to keep defending themselves.” I tell him.

 

“Sounds like Michael needs to learn to not snoop.” He tells me.

 

“I changed my locks and code after coming back from P-town, because I realized that if I wanted you, I couldn’t have him coming and going anytime he wanted.” I tell him.

 

“I’m still trying to figure out why people need keys to your home.” Justin tells me.

 

“Lindsay has them because when I’m out of town she gets the mail and makes sure that my cleaning lady didn’t get surprised by Michael staying there anymore.” I tell him.

 

“How are you still friends with someone who invades your life like that?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t have anybody who gave a shit about me when I was growing up, and he and Deb did. I let them get away with things because I didn’t want to lose the first people who accepted me for who I really was.” I tell him.

 

“I can see why you wanted to stay around them but there’s just normal boundaries people understand and observe. Yet tonight alone, I know he’s calling because you keep silencing your phone.” He tells me as I did it again.

 

“Will you trust me to deal with Michael, it’s not easy letting go of a friendship I’ve had most of my life.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t have to let him go, just make him understand there are certain things you won’t accept from him. Not that I have any right to tell you what to do, I can just tell you’re irritated by the constant calls. I wanted us to have fun with Gus.” He tells me.

 

“What do you plan for Gus?” I ask him.

 

“The zoo, the park, and Alex said we could use his pool if you want to do that too.” Justin tells me.

 

“You're introducing me to the family?” I ask smirking.

 

“Of course, who wouldn’t want to meet the father of Gus, the doctor, lawyer, and fireman. When he figures out what you do we can add that too.” He tells me, kissing my lips before going to see what Gus was doing.

 

I pulled out my phone to delete the calls and texts that Michael most likely is sending to me. I got to one that said I needed to tell Ted not to act like an asshole. Now that one made me curious enough to call Ted.

 

“I'm going outside to smoke.” I tell Justin.

 

I stood looking at the backyard while I called Ted. Justin and Daphne’s house was just a modest three bedroom, with a small yard. It was what most couples view as a starter home. I wonder how he ended up living with Daphne, maybe I'll ask when she comes home sometime. It's strange to see two best friends who don't live in each others pockets the way Michael is trying to live in mine. 

 

“Brian did you want something or were you just planning on me listening to you smoke?” Ted asks dryly.

 

“What's got Michael telling me that I need to talk to you?” I ask. 

 

“He must think saying that I'm unattractive and boring, but well off, shouldn’t piss me off.” He tells me. 

 

“Why do you give a shit what Michael thinks?” I ask.

 

“I don’t, but I guess Michael felt the need to whine to you about it. I just told him to lose my number. I need to not have Michael making my chances with Blake harder.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm glad to hear your priorities are where the should be.” I tell him. 

 

“But are yours if you're still calling around trying to solve Michael’s problems. I don’t know Justin well, but he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who is going to sit around while Michael tries to relive the ‘Brian and Mikey show’.” He tell me.

 

“Believe it or not Ted, I was actually worried about you. I like the person you are with when you're with Blake.” I tell him, hanging up.

 

I walk in to see Justin with Gus on his lap playing with Gus, not even noticing that I came in the room. 

 

MICHAEL

 

I waited for Ben to go to bed to go looking for Brian. I got to Babylon and saw Emmett standing at the bar talking to the bartender. When I walked up he looked at me, but then kept talking to the bartender. 

 

“Emmett, are you really going to stay pissed because some guy dumped you again?” I ask.

 

“I’d have to want your approval to care enough to stay pissed.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Have you seen Brian?” I ask.

 

“No, but I’m sure it won’t stop you from checking every inch of Pittsburgh to make sure he can’t have a life that you don’t approve of.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I’ll wait for you to quit queening, then you can apologize to me the way Ted needs too.” I tell him, because they are going to have to if they want to keep my friendship.

 

I went to the backroom and then tried to get into the manager’s office. The guy told me that he didn’t care who I think I am. I hope he likes when Brian tells him exactly who I am. I got to the loft and managed to follow another couple in, but like the outside door, the loft door had a new lock. I called the super telling him I needed to get into my loft. He said he’d be over and I waited. When he came he asked for my ID and when I tried to tell him I lost it, he escorted me out of the building and told me until I could prove I was Brian Kinney, that I needed to stay out of the building.

 

I called Brian again and this time someone answered.

 

“Is there some reason your calling in the middle of the night?” A guy asks.

 

“Tell Brian that Michael is on the phone.” I order.

 

“Since he’s sleeping right now, I’ll let him know.” 

 

“When I call, you fucking get Brian, you do not tell me about your wish to keep Brian Kinney.” I tell the guy.

 

“Since he’s been staying with me most nights, I’m assuming because of you, I would say he wants to keep me. So Michael do us a favor and go pester your husband and not my boyfriend.” 

 

“So, now that you realize you’ll never get Ben, you think you can get Brian to be your Sugar Daddy.” I tell Justin.

 

“The only Daddy Brian wants to be, is to Gus, which is who he fell asleep with, at my house.” Justin tells me, hanging up. 


Chapter 11 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I woke up spooning Justin, who was sleeping in front of me on the couch, and I looked around for Gus.

 

“I put him on my bed.” Justin tells me, yawning.

 

“And left us on the couch?” I ask him.

 

“I wanted him to be comfortable, it’s not like we haven’t fallen asleep here before.” He tells me, turning towards me.

 

He kissed my chin and lips and then rubbed his nose against mine before kissing my lips again. I pulled him closer so I could feel him. “What is it about you?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t know, but it must be both of us.” He tells me, kissing my neck.

 

“DADDY, I need help.” Gus yells.

 

“Later.” I tell him, kissing him before climbing over him as I go to see what Gus was doing.

 

Gus wanted to go to the diner to get breakfast, since it became something we did, when Mel and Lindsay stopped coming. We walked in the diner to see Ben and Michael sitting at the counter while Emmett and Ted were at a booth, ignoring them. 

 

“Brian, we have room.” Emmett tells me.

 

Michael turned and glared at Emmett. “Why don’t you and Gus sit with us. I haven’t spent any time with Guster lately.” Michael tells me.

 

“Daddy, can’t we sit with them, not him.” Gus asks, pulling Justin to the booth with Ted and Emmett.

 

“Well then let him sit with the children and you can come to the adult table.” Michael tells me, rolling his eyes when Gus sits on Justin’s lap.

 

“Brian where are you going, I need to tell you what Justin did.” Michael tells me, as I pass him to go sit with Gus and Justin.

 

I stopped, which Michael seemed to mistake for me wanting to hear what he wanted to say about Justin. It wasn’t Michael I needed to speak to, but the person who began Justin’s problems. I walked over and went around the counter to stand in front of Ben and Michael.

 

“I called last night and Justin thinks he can tell you what you can do.” Michael tells me.

 

“Michael, do me a favor and listen, you too Ben.” I tell them.

 

“Brian, he thinks he has the right to control who talks to you.” Michael persists.

 

“Are you both listening to me?” I ask them, leaning closer.

 

“Fine, we’re listening.” Michael tells me, annoyed.

 

“If Justin told me to forget you exist, I would, because I love him; more than any friendship or past acquaintance. I don’t have to use an innocent person to get Justin’s attention, and if you ever try to use Justin to keep your husband’s attention again, I’ll make sure the school knows what kind of teacher they have on their staff.” I tell Ben. “You want to know why you can’t get Michael’s attention? Because you spend all your time letting him get away with shit. I never did, or will in the future. Michael, you like to ostracize people, imagine what your world would be like if I served you the same treatment you gave to Blake, and are trying with Justin. Now I’m going to sit with the grown-ups while the two children at the counter think about what I just said.” I tell them, reaching for the milk and putting in front of both of them.

 

“Brian, what... I don’t understand. You're picking him over me?” Michael asks.

 

“I’m not picking anything, I’m making a decision on what’s important, friendship with a fourteen year old or a relationship with a man who wouldn’t treat other people like trash, because your life is that empty with Ben.” I tell him.

 

“He married me, Brian.” Ben tells me.

 

“Yeah, he did, but did you ever ask him why he finally said yes? It’s an interesting story, maybe he can twist it to sound less like he was hoping I would tell him that he and I had a future. Like I told Michael, I wouldn’t want anyone who would want you.” I tell him.

 

“Go to your piece of ass, maybe he’ll last longer than your last trick.” Ben tells me, and the fucker just said one thing too many.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian was talking to Ben and Michael and whatever it was, they didn’t seem to like what he was saying to them. 

 

“Justin, go get him.” Ted tells me.

 

“Why are you telling me that?” I ask, because this is the first time he didn’t sneer my name.

 

“He’s very likely going to kick Ben and Michael’s asses.” He tells me.

 

“Jussin?” Gus asks, looking confused when Ben stood up and got in Brian’s face.

 

“Ted, watch Gus.” Emmett told him, getting up and blocking Ben.

 

“You don’t want to do this, Brian’s holding back.” Emmett growled, when Ben tried to push past him.

 

“Brian isn’t going to lecture me, he fucks half of Pittsburgh and thinks he knows shit about relationships.” Ben tells Emmett, trying to shove him out of the way.

 

“Crap. Ted, take Gus out of here.” I tell him, when I see Brian trying to get past Emmett.

 

“Are you really going to try to get in the middle of that?” Ted asks me.

 

“Why not, it’s about me.” I tell him, rushing over as Ted runs by with Gus.

 

“It’s all your fault.” Michael tells me, trying to swing at me.

 

“So it seems.” I tell him, knocking his ass to the ground.

 

Emmett shoved Ben back and Brian seemed like he was trying to find a way to get to Ben. I’m really starting to think the diner isn’t Gus friendly, but fuck it. I ran in front of Brian and held on while Emmett was in Ben’s face. Deb came out and sat on a stool, just watching.

 

“Honey, let them deal with it.” Deb tells me.

 

“You call this dealing with it?” I ask, as Brian shoves me behind him.

 

“Deal with the fact that Michael loves Brian in a way he won’t love you. It’s not Brian’s fault, when he did nothing to encourage Michael.” Emmett tells him.

 

“He fucking gives Michael just enough attention that Michael can’t see it’s just to keep him around.” Ben tells Emmett.

 

“He hasn’t done that since you and Michael have gotten together. He wanted his friend to have a chance at a relationship. Which is what Michael ran around telling everyone he wanted.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Why are you fucking talking Emmett, you don’t know shit.” Michael tells him. “Your idea of friendship is a joke.” Michael tells him.

 

“Brian, I’m going to put his ass in jail for hitting me. Ma call Carl.” Michael smirks.

 

“What are you talking about?” Deb asks him.

 

“He tried to hit me.” Michael tells her.

 

“Hey, attention everyone, did anyone see Justin trying to hit Michael?” Deb asks.

 

Ben and Michael looked confused as Deb looked around the diner. A guy raised his hand.

 

“Yes?” Deb asks.

 

“Does it really matter when Michael tried to hit Justin first?” The guy asks.

 

“I didn’t, I wanted to protect Ben when Justin looked like he was going to hit him.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“So, everyone’s agreed that if my son wants to call the police, that Justin should press charges?” Deb asks, and I tried not to laugh when the whole diner but Ben and Michael, nodded. “Carl wouldn’t be happy if Michael ended up in one of his cells.” Deb tells me.

 

“Ma?” Michael asks.

 

“Michael, you and Ben might need to find a new place to eat.” Deb tells him.

 

“I guess Brian’s got you under his thumb too.” Ben tells her.

 

“No more than Michael seems to have you dancing to his tune.” Emmett tells him, going to the booth and grabbing his scarf.

 

“Brian, we need to go.” I tell Brian, who seems to still want to beat Ben’s ass.

 

“I guess he’s got you by the dick.” Michael sneers at Brian.

 

“Brian, go take care of Gus.” Deb tells him.

 

“Bet no one on Liberty Avenue thought they’d see Brian Fucking Kinney brought down by blond boy ass.” Michael announces.

 

“It must hurt that your ass couldn’t manage it.” A guy yells.

 

“Why would anyone want the prostitute of Liberty Avenue?” Ben asks the guy.

 

“No Justin.” Brian tells me, picking me up when I turned.

 

“I was just wondering if Ben was jealous that everyone wants you, but that he has to fucking make up shit to get even Michael’s interest.” I said, as Brian takes me out the door.

 

“I can’t kick his ass, but you can?” Brian asks me.

 

“Heat of the moment.” I say.

 

“Daddy, are we going to the zoo now?” Gus asks, eating ice cream.

 

“Ted?” Brian asks.

 

“You really wanted me to try to explain that to Gus. Brian, what the hell, you have better control than that.” Ted tells him.

 

“I won’t have Ben saying shi… anything about Justin.” Brian tells him.

 

“How about we take Gus to the zoo, one which isn’t the diner.” Emmett tells us.

 

BRIAN

 

I walked around, trying not to show how pissed I was at the bullshit coming out of Ben’s mouth. Emmett let everyone go ahead of us and walked with me.

 

“He’s been doing steroids again.” Emmett tells me.

 

“It doesn’t matter.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I know, but it’s why he was practically foaming at the mouth.” Emmett tells me.

 

“How do you know?” I ask him.

 

“Saw him buying the other day. I mentioned it to Michael, but told me I was wrong.” He tells me.

 

“I can’t help Michael if I want Justin.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I didn’t tell you to get you to help Michael, just so you would know why I jumped in. I know you can take care of yourself, but Ben is a timebomb right now.” He tells me.

 

“I shouldn’t have been doing anything with Gus around.” I tell him.

 

“When you're in love you don’t always think when someone says things.” He tells me.

 

“Never thought it would be me in love.” I tell him.

 

“I always thought you’d eventually jump in the game.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“Until Justin, I didn’t see a reason.” I tell him.

 

“Does he know?” Emmett tells me.

 

“I don’t want to say it when everything is this new.” I tell Emmett.

 

“You should always say it, leaving things unsaid was like an opening for Michael to help us out of our relationships.” He tells me.

 

“Michael won’t have that chance to use it.” I tell Emmett.

 

I walk over to where Justin was holding Gus up to look over the wall. Standing behind him while he pointed out the animals resting on the rocks to Gus, I put my head on Justin’s.

 

“Daddy look.” Gus tells me.

 

“I’m looking.” I tell Gus, as Justin looks up to me. “And I love what I’m seeing.” I tell them, staring at Justin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin seemed to have a good time, but when he came back from taking a phone call he appeared to have something on his mind. I didn’t think it was that I let Ted and Emmett come with us, although he didn’t say a lot to either one of them. He spent all his time entertaining Gus. And he would answer when they asked questions, but otherwise didn’t really engage in conversation. When we were leaving the zoo, it was the first time Justin actually said anything directly to Ted.

 

“Blake’s coming over.” That was it, no invitation, just the facts.

 

“I’m not sure if he wants me around. I have a lot to make up for.” Ted tells him.

 

“I guess you like being single.” Justin tells him, walking off with Gus.

 

“Is it me or has he seemed to get quieter today?” Emmett asks me.

 

“He wasn’t really talking to us anyway.” Ted tells him.

 

“He was okay when we left the diner.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I don’t think he’s going to warm up to us any faster than we did to him.” Ted tells him.

 

“Don’t you see that he was almost having to make an effort to seem like he was having a good time.” Emmett asks me.

 

“I noticed, but I wanted to wait until we got to the house to ask him.” I tell them, getting worried when Justin’s smile didn’t reach his eyes.

 

“We can take off, I mean, I don’t want him to feel like he has to put up with us.” Emmett tells me.

 

“It’s fine if you want to come over, I just have something I have to go do.” Justin tells us bringing Gus a drink.

 

“Do you need me to go with you?” I ask.

 

“Nope, just something I need to take care of.” He tells us.

 

When we got to the house I put Gus down for his nap and turned to see Justin changing into a dress shirt and pants. I wanted to ask, but he looked at me with the look I’ve given other people when I don’t want to talk about it.

 

“It should take me an hour or two, but I’ll be back in time to see Blake.” Justin tells me, walking out of the room.

 

He left his phone behind and it was hard not to grab it to see what changed him from happy to serious. He walked back in, picked up his phone and handed it to me.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it but I don’t care that you know.” He tells me.

 

I looked down at the name and wondered who Molly was, and why talking to her would have him acting in a way I did when my family called. I got up from the bed and went outside to his car, and stopped him before he could get in.

 

“I can come. Whatever it is, I can come.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not worth the trouble it would cause. Just knowing that you’ll be here after I deal with this is all I need right now.” He tells me.

 

“You don’t want to talk about it?” I ask him.

 

“Nope, it’s been talked to the point that I don’t have any more words to say about them. I’ll be back as fast as I can.” He tells me, kissing me while I looked in his eyes to see he didn’t want to go.

 

“If whoever this Molly is makes you feel like this why deal with her at all?” I ask him.

 

“I love her, even when she doesn’t love me.” He whispers, kissing me again.

 

JUSTIN

 

I called Daphne on my way and picked her up. When she got in the car she took the keys and wouldn’t give them back to me.

 

“Justin you don’t owe Molly anything.” Daphne tells me.

 

“She’s my sister, whether she likes it or not.” I tell her.

 

“Did you tell Brian?” She asks me.

 

“No.” I tell her, looking out the windshield.

 

“Why not?” She asks me.

 

“I don’t want the good parts to touch the bad parts.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, the good parts make the bad parts bearable.” She tells me, putting her head on my shoulder.

 

“Why am I even letting her do this to me?” I ask her.

 

“You can’t help who you love.” She tells me.

 

“I think I love Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Then why are you letting Molly taunt you into showing up?” She asks me.

 

“Stupid hope, that one day she’ll remember that she once loved me the way I still love her.” I tell Daphne.

 

“Go home, don’t go to it so Molly can be the pain in the ass she’s been.” She tells me.

 

“Thanks, go have fun with Jim, I’m sure he hates that I call and you run.” I tell her, thinking that I don’t want to be this friend.

 

“I had to tell him to stay inside, he knows you well enough to know that you don’t do this unless you have a reason. He told me to tell you if you want him to come to the engagement party then he’ll kiss you in front of your family and mine.” She tells me.

 

“Tell him thanks but I’ll leave that up to Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, don’t bother to go, you don’t need Chris and Molly fucking with your head.” She tells me.

 

“He’s the best big brother she could want.” I tell her.

 

“I swear I’m going to go just to pull her hair out.” Daphne tells me, glaring out the windshield.

 

“I don’t even know why I thought I should go.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t either, why would you want to be anywhere near Chris and his mother. Your father deserves Chris and his mother, hell, Molly will figure out Chris isn’t who he pretends to be.” Daphne tells me.

 

“Straight.” I tell her smirking.

 

BRIAN

 

 Blake showed up and stayed in the kitchen at first, I tilted my head at the kitchen when Ted seem to be debating, he finally got up and went in there. I heard a car and went to see who showed up. I saw a younger girl get out of a car with a guy about Justin’s age. Before I could open the door, Justin pulled up and got out of his car. 

 

“Emmett, if Gus get’s up, keep him inside.” I tell him, walking out the front door.

 

“Dad expects you to be there.” 

 

“Dad expected me not to be gay either Molly, but life is just a bitch sometimes.” Justin tells her.

 

“I told you we shouldn’t have bothered, but Dad wanted Justin there.” Molly tells the guy.

 

“Why, because he didn’t need to give me job the way he’s giving one to Chris? It must really suck for Dad that the straight stepson will never make it past retail.” Justin tells them, as Molly gets in the car and slams the door.

 

“Not my fault that your dad preferred me for a son to you.” Chris taunted.

 

“Well, do yourself a favor and stop thinking about sucking my dick then, it’s the fastest way to lose anything my father is willing to pay for.” Justin tells him.

 

The guy looks at me and then hops in the car and peels out. Justin had his back to me watching the street. I walked up and didn’t care that he had the ‘don’t touch me’ aura about him. I pulled him to me and could feel him shaking.

 

“They always out themselves.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t care, but Molly doesn’t understand the kind of person Chris is.” He tells me.

 

“You have to let her find out. Even I can tell she did all this just to piss you off.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not sure how I feel about it at all. One of the reasons I worked so hard to go to college is because Chris’s bullying was getting worse, and I didn’t want to stick around and find out how much worse it would get.” He tells me.

 

“What caused Molly’s behaviour towards you?” I ask him.

 

“She’s always been closer to my Dad. I think she blames me because my mom divorced him. Mom moved to Chicago with her boyfriend. Molly refused to go with her and is giving my mom the same shit.” He tells me.

 

“I wish I could tell you she’ll grow out of this, but my sister and I still don’t like each other.” He tells me.

 

“Is Gus up?” He asks me, changing the subject.

 

“I won’t wear that.” We hear Gus yell, as he streaks past us.

 

“Hey, at least he’s in underwear.” Justin tells me.

 

BLAKE

 

When I came to Justin’s house, Ted, Brian and Emmett were just sitting quietly. It was starting to get on  my nerves. Brian told me that Justin said to make myself at home. I got up and went into the kitchen and got a drink. Ted came in and sat down with me.

 

“I got to see something I never thought I’d see.” He tells me.

 

“What’s that?” I hate how it’s a struggle to talk to each other when we are around other people.

 

“Emmett, getting in Ben’s face.” He tells me.

 

“Why would that surprise you? He did it to me once.” I tell him.

 

“When?” He growls.

 

“Years ago, when I was messed up and putting you through shit. He wanted me to know that I needed to clean my act up.” I tell him.

 

“Oh, I’m just not ready to lose two friends.” He tell me.

 

“Who else did you lose?” I ask him.

 

“Michael.” 

 

“Ted, I never asked you to cut him off. I won’t ask you to do that for me, because it would make me no better than him.” I tell him.

 

“I did it for me. I can’t be friends with someone if they don’t respect me and the man I love.” He tells me.

 

“Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ll believe it when I see it.” I tell him. 

 

MICHAEL

 

When Ben and I got home he went to the bathroom, and I paced around the living room mad at everyone.

 

“Why did you have to say that shit to Brian?” I yell at the bathroom.

 

“He was being an asshole Michael, sorry for not wanting to kiss his ass.” Ben tells me.

 

“Brian would have listened to me if it wasn’t for you.” I tell him, sitting on the couch.

 

“He was being a cocky piece of shit, I’m not going to sit around letting him talk to me like that. I think it’s time he realizes that if he wants to open his fucking mouth, I’ll knock out some of his teeth.” Ben tells me.

 

“Calm down, just tell him you weren’t thinking when you said what you said to him.” I tell him.

 

You want me to apologize to Brian when he was the one in our faces?” Ben asks me.

 

“Of course I do. He’s mad at you, and I don’t need him mad at me when I’m only trying to get Justin out of his life, well, all our lives.” I tell him, worried when he was glaring at me.

 

“Anything else you want me to do to make Brian happy?” He asks sarcastically.

 

“Help me figure out how to make him believe that Justin should have been just a trick.” I tell him.

 

“Fuck that.” Ben yells, as he shoves the dining room table into the wall and then knocking down a lamp, before opening the front door and slamming it shut. 

 

I went into the bathroom and saw the needles in the waste basket. He’s nothing if not consistent when his friends die. I stood looking out into the living room, and then smashed the mirror with my arm and made sure to have scrapes on my arms. Then I made sure I had a bruise on my hip and I cut a small gash by my ear. When I was finished and looked the way I wanted to, I called Brian. 

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

We got Gus dressed and let him run out to Emmett and Blake. Brian closed the door and pulled me to him. I know I’d been up and down with him today but I leaned up to kiss him as his phone went off. He threw it onto the bed and held me. I heard more phones going off and looked at Brian’s phone again. He turned my head back to him.

 

“Are you sure I can’t do something?” He asks, holding my face.

 

“I’ve told you, you can’t fight the world for me.” I tell him, getting annoyed when the phone starts going off again.

 

“Justin, I’d fight anything just to see you smile.” He tells me.

 

“I’m still trying to figure out, why me?” I tell him.

 

“Everything about you. It’s everything.” He tells me.

 

“I lo…” 

 

“Brian, you need to come out here.” Ted says through the door.

 

“Say it.” He looked at me.

 

“Brian, I hate to do this but you need to come out here.” Ted tells him.

 

“Justin I need to hear it. Before we go out that door.” He tells me.

 

“I love you.” I whisper in his ear.

 

“Thank you.” He tells me, kissing me before opening the door.

 

“Fuck. Blake I’m not running after him.” Ted tells Blake.

 

“Really, you couldn’t last two days.” Blake tells him.

 

“Ted, let Deb deal with it.” Emmett tells him, looking at Blake.

 

“What’s going on?” Brian asks, when Blake walked into the kitchen.

 

“Michael walked into Babylon cut up and he passed out.” Ted tells Brian.

 

“Justin?” Brian looks at me, conflicted.

 

“I’ve got Gus.” I told him, taking him with me in the kitchen.

 

“Blake, it’s about Babylon, not Michael. I wouldn’t go if it wasn’t my job.” Ted tells him.

 

“You don’t think you would, but you do.” Blake tells him. “Just go, I’m used to it.”

 

“Justin, look at me. I won’t go if it bothers you.” Brian tells me.

 

“It’s your business, I understand.” I tell him, kissing him.

 

“Emmett, why not go, wouldn’t want to miss the gossip.” Blake tells him, after Ted and Brian walked out.

 

“I know you have no reason to listen to me, but Blake, you're acting like an asshole.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Wow, imagine that, you lasted even less time than Ted.” Blake tells him.

 

“You are acting like an ass.” I tell Blake.

 

“You’ll get as tired as I am of this.” He tells me, hugging himself.

 

“Uncle Blake, you need a hug?” Gus asks, standing next to him.

 

“I always need a hug.” Blake tells him, picking him up.

 

I set Gus up with a video on my computer and gave him earphones. Because as much as I understand Blake being bitter about Michael, he can’t take it out on Ted that he had to go do his job. 

 

“Those earphones will work, but not if you talk too loud.” I warn Blake.

 

“What do you want me to say, I know I’m not being reasonable, but I’m just out of patience when it comes to Michael always managing to pull Ted away somehow.” He tells us.

 

“Michael most likely showed up at Babylon when no one answered their phone.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Emmett, if it was you, I would understand. You and Ted look out for each other, but I just have a feeling that Michael is going to find a way to suck them back in.” Blake tells him.

 

“Then you don’t let him.” I tell Blake. 

 

“What?” He asks me.

 

“Why are you letting Michael make you feel as if your not good enough?” I ask him.

 

“Do you know how I dread Ted’s phone ringing all hours of the night? It always signaled that Ted would walk away from anything we were doing.” Blake tells me.

 

“I think you and I got something wrong.” I tell him.

 

“Brian won’t do what Ted does.” Blake tells me.

 

“Blake you keep saying you wouldn’t make him choose, but it shouldn’t be a choice. If he loves you, you tell him that you have to be more important.” I tell him.

 

“Blake, you aren’t the drugged up kid we met, stop acting like you have to make it up to Ted. I’m sorry if I made you feel that way.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I could learn to like you.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Stick around, I’ll make sure you do.” He tells me and Blake.

 

BRIAN

 

My manager Nash was waiting when Ted and I got there. I saw Deb standing in my office with Carl.

 

“Brian, I need you and Ted to see something.” Nash tells me.

 

Ted and I followed Nash to the camera room. “He might have been in shock, but it’s just strange the way he came in. When I called Ted I thought he’d just walked in and passed out in the entrance, but well, just watch.” He tells us.

 

We watched Michael walk in with his jacket on and walk around the club and then the back room, before going back to the entrance and taking off his jacket and falling to the floor. “I don’t know what to make of it. Last night he came here trying to get in my office, and wasn’t happy when I kicked him out. Tonight it looked as if he was looking for something.” He tells us.

 

“Fuck. I left Blake for this.” Ted glares.

 

“So, nothing we could get sued for?” I ask.

 

“Nope.” Nash tells me.

 

The door opens and Carl comes in. “I need to talk to you guys.” He tell us.

 

“If he’s fine, we’re leaving.” Ted tells him.

 

“He looks like someone tossed him around.” Carl tells us.

 

“Did he say who?” I ask Carl.

 

“He said he didn’t want to, but he keeps asking if you're here.” He tells me.

 

I didn’t ask why, just went to Nash’s office, where Michael was sitting on the couch with Deb trying to clean him up. He kept trying to get away from her hands.

 

“Michael, none of these look that bad.” Deb tells him, and moves closer and he hisses grabbing his hip.

 

“What is it now?” Deb asks, almost as if she lost patience with him.

 

“It’s where I hit the sink in the bathroom.” He tells her. 

 

“What happened?” I ask.

 

“Brian, I don’t want to get you involved in my problems.” He tells me with tears streaming down his cheeks.

 

“Okay, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.” I tell him and Deb before turning away.

 

“Ben did this.” He rushes out, and for a second I almost turned.

 

“Carl can help you.” I tell him, walking out of the office.

 

“He was mad that I said we need to apologize to Justin.” He yells. “I was trying to get him to understand that what he did to Justin was wrong, but Brian he told me something you need to know.” 

 

“No I don’t.” I tell him, not looking at him.

 

“Ben wants him Brian, he wasn’t trying to make me jealous, he wants Justin.” Michael tells me, trying to stop me. “He did this when I told him he wasn’t capable of turning anyone from you.”

 

“Why did you come here?” I ask him.

 

“I just wanted a place I felt safe, like how you used to come to my house. I need you to be there for me like we always said you would. Remember... always have and always will.” He tells me putting his arms around me. “Brian?” He looked at me when I stood there not returning the hug.

 

“I need to get back to Gus and Justin.” I tell him, leaving the room.

 

“I’m fucking hurt and you bring him up.” Michael chases me out to the hall. “He’s never going to mean what I do to you.” He tells me shrieking.

 

“Michael, calm down.” Deb tells him.

 

“Brian, I need you to do what you promised me all our lives.” He tells me, yanking me around to look at him. “You belong to me.” He whispers, pleading with me.

 

I pulled out of his grasp. “Never in that way, as a brother, a friend at one time, yes, but never that.” I tell him, leaving him standing there. 

 

Justin and Gus were watching a TV together when we returned to the house. Ted’s shoulders fell when he didn’t see Blake.

 

“Why do I keep screwing this up?” Ted asks

 

“Ted, this wasn’t you running to Michael, but doing your job. It’s just hard for Blake to differentiate between the two.” Justin tells him.

 

“You can?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t have Blake’s history with Michael.” Justin tells me, not happy when my phone started going off.

 

I looked at the screen to see Michael calling. I turned my phone off this time. “Ted, if it’s important call Justin’s number.” I tell him, putting Justin’s number in Ted’s phone.

 

When Ted left and Gus was in bed, I kissed Justin and put my coat on.

 

“Where are you going?” He asks me.

 

“To find Ben.” I tell him.

 

I found him at Woody’s, sitting alone at a table. He looked up and sneered at me. I sat down taking his drink and moving it out of reach.

 

“I’m going to do you a favor, the last one I’ll ever do for you.” I tell him.

 

“Leave town?” He asks me.

 

“Stay sober, and don’t forget a single detail of your night.” I tell him, getting up to leave.

 

“Why?” He asks me.

 

“Before I answer, why did you and Michael fight tonight?” I ask.

 

“Why are you asking, because it’s not really your business.” He answers me.

 

“No, it really isn’t, but your poor ‘abused’ husband showed up at my club, guess who he said hurt him? Sounds like no one’s safe when Michael has an agenda.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you telling me anything?” He asks.

 

“I really came to see if you hurt him.” I tell him.

 

“Why would I?” He asks.

 

“That’s the question you might be answering if Michael tries to push this further. I got the answers I needed.” I tell him.

 

“What answers?” He asks me.

 

“That Michael would use anyone to get to me.” I tell him, walking out.

 

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian didn’t say a lot when he got back to my house, and I didn’t try to make him talk. In the middle of the night I got up to check on Gus, and I felt Brian behind me. 

 

“I don’t want you around Michael.” He tells me, staring at Gus.

 

“I don’t have any reason to be around him, but I can handle whatever he tries.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I know you can take care of yourself, but I’m not sure what Michael was trying to accomplish tonight.” He tell me.

 

“Brian, he sounds like he wants you.” I tell him.

 

“Well, he’s not going to get what he wants, I never felt the way he wants me to.” I tell him.

 

“Then why are you acting like this is your fault?” I ask when he still looks upset.

 

“I spent years giving Michael just enough that he wouldn’t walk away from me. Sometimes I know I gave him hope, but I never stepped over the line that would make him think I wanted a relationship.” He tells me.

 

“You can’t control how someone feels. It’s either there or it isn’t.” I tell him.

 

“I know I didn’t say it earlier, but... I love you.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t need you to say it, it’s in everything you’ve done since we met.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want you to ever have to wonder.” He tells me.

 

TED

 

I was sitting outside of Alice’s apartment. I decided I could sleep on the steps, or anywhere if it meant being close to Blake. When the door opened, Alice came outside and sat next to me.

 

“He wants you to go home.” She tells me.

 

“He wants me to show him I give a shit.” I tell her.

 

“Ted, you don’t have to prove it to me. I know you love him, but you keep letting everything get in the way. Why haven’t you figured out that he loves you?” She asks me.

 

“Why would he, when I didn’t stop the shit that was happening to him?” I ask her.

 

“Why didn’t you?” She asks me.

 

“I never thought Blake would be jealous of Michael. What does Michael have over Blake? Blake took charge of his life. It’s strange when you think about it, but Michael’s only real accomplishment so far in his life, was being Brian’s best friend.” I tell her.

 

“Blake still has problems seeing himself as a good person. I think your friend Brian has been helping him see that his past isn’t as important as what he does now.” She tells me.

 

“Brian has a way of cutting through bullshit to find the person you are.” I tell her.

 

“Who are you Ted?” She asks me.

 

“The man that loves Blake.” I tell her.

 

“Then tell me I’m being an asshole when I don’t want to listen to what you're saying to me.” Blake tells me from the door.

 

“I went because it’s my job.” I tell him.

 

“I know, and I just need to stop letting myself think Michael has anything to do with us.” He tells me.

 

“Night guys, you and Ted figure it out.” Alice tells Blake, hugging him.

 

“Feel like taking a walk?” I ask him.

 

“I want to sleep.” He tells me, turning away. “Will you just sleep with me tonight?” He asks.

 

“If that’s what you need.” I tell him, going inside with him.

 

BRIAN

 

I know Justin said that Grant talks, but I just haven’t seen any evidence of it. He squeaked when he answered the door, then it was just staring again.

 

“Grant, let Justin in.” Alex tells him. “You must be Brian, I’ve heard more about you then I ever wanted to.” He tells me laughing.

 

“This is Gus, Brian’s son.” Justin tells Alex.

 

“I heard you want to play the new game.” Alex says, kneeling down in front of Gus.

 

“Jussin said I could when you're done.” Gus tells him.

 

“I would love to hear what you think.” He tells Gus.

 

“Justin.” Grant whispers and tilts his head toward the other room.

 

“I’ll be back.” Justin tells us, taking Gus with him.

 

“Come with me while Justin gets my son to realize you're just a man.” Alex tells me.

 

“Maybe he’ll be able to say hi soon.” I tell him.

 

“Then you’ll never shut him up. I’m going to say this and then I’ll leave it alone, you hurt Justin and you deal with me.” Alex tells me as we get to the kitchen. 

 

“I think I’d be dealing with Justin, he doesn’t seem to need anyone to take care of him.” I tell him.

 

“No he doesn’t, but I view him like my son, so I want to know that he’s happy.” He tells me.

 

“That’s up to him and me, and no one else.” I tell him.

 

JUSTIN

 

“Why are you acting like an idiot?” I ask Grant, while Gus changed in the bathroom to go swimming.

 

“It’s just, that’s Brian Kinney.” He tells me, like it explains it all to me.

 

“Yes, I know his name.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, no one’s ever spent more than one night with Brian. Do you not understand what you did?” He tells me.

 

“I met a man who loves me.” I tell him.

 

“Wait, did he say that?” He asks.

 

“Last night he did.” I tell him and end up with an arm full of Grant.

 

“Daphne called me.” Grant tells me. 

 

“I wasn't thinking, for a second I thought maybe Molly wanted me around again.” I tell him. 

 

“I’m sure what my dad did is the reason they’re running after you.” He tells me.

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask him. 

 

“He ordered all his products not to be sold to your father's stores.” He tells me. 

 

“Can you take Gus to the pool? I need to talk to your dad.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin, he's not going to change his mind, Craig pissed him off.” Grant tells me. 

 

I got to the kitchen to find Alex and Brian talking. I wanted them to like each other and they were laughing and talking like old friends.

 

“What did my father do?” I ask Alex.

 

“He needs to learn who he's doing business with, before he says things that offend people.” He tells me. 

 

“I've told you what he's like.” I tell him. 

 

“It wasn’t just about you, I just don’t want my company associated with someone like him, not that the way he treats you isn’t a good enough reason.” He tells me. 

 

“It think it's why he wanted me to be at his engagement party. Until yesterday he didn’t want me around his new family.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin, you can't keep hoping that Molly will open her eyes.” Alex tells me, lifting my head to look at him.

 

“I keep telling myself that she can't be angry forever.” I tell him. 

 

“Until she sees what he's really like, you’ll have to live with it.” Brian tells me.

 

“What did he do to piss you off?” I ask Alex.

 

“It has to do with Brian and a few other businesses run by gay men.” He tells me. 

 

“He doesn’t know about Brian and me.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm sure when he does he'll understand why I did what I did.” He tells me. 

 

“It just don’t want you to base business decisions on how he feels about me.” I tell him. 

 

“Or me.” Brian tells him. 

 

“I’m basing it on a company who is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. He’s been trying to get businesses to fire anyone seen as supporting gay rights, as well as those implying that women shouldn’t be anything but housewives.” He tells me. 

 

“It's nothing new for him, why now?” I ask. 

 

“Because he's not just saying it about you or your mom. He saying it at business gatherings and social functions. It's not just me pulling business from him, but others who don't want to be seen as condoning his beliefs. Your father isn't winning any popularity contests with his views. I won't stand by when my son and you are people he tells everyone should be sent to an island to wipe gay off the planet. He's going to realize that there is such thing as a proud father of gay sons.” Alex tells me.

 

“You always told me business isn't about anything but profit.” I tell him. 

 

“It still is, I just think losing the newest systems and games is going to show your father what that means, along with any company who believes in that bullshit. He doesn't know Brian, except that he's gay and owns Babylon, but he judged him as less of a businessman man for it. Staying in business with Taylor Electronics, to me, is like supporting Hitler.” He tells me. 

 

“He's pissed at me for not taking on his campaign. I didn't know you then. He called Cynthia to ask us to help him, I didn’t see us as being able to work together when he suggested my wife start showing up to business gatherings. I don’t think he liked it when I told him that my child’s lesbian mother wouldn’t mind letting her wife come with me, since I wasn't married to the man of my dreams. He left rather quickly after that.” Brian tells me.

 

“Daddy, can we go swimming now?” Gus asks.

 

“Yes, let's pray my son survives seeing your dad in swim trunks.” Alex laughs as Grant dramatically falls in a chair.

 

“You wouldn’t own speedos would you?” Grant enquires.

 

“He speaks.” Brian smirks.

 

BRIAN 

 

“What has you looking so pensive?” Alex asked me while I sat by the pool a couple of hours later.

 

“My life and the way I’ve lived it. I never saw Justin coming, so I never worried about it affecting another person.” I tell him. 

 

“It didn’t affect Gus?” He asks. 

 

“He's my child, so no one would do anything to hurt him.” I tell him. 

 

“But wouldn't think twice about hurting Justin?” He asks. 

 

“Has Justin told you about a college professor causing him problems?” I ask. 

 

“It sounded like the husband of the professor was the problem.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael is the result of Ben’s stupidity. Michael is also someone I used to consider my best friend.” I tell him. 

 

“Why used to, because Justin wouldn’t want you to throw away a friend.” Alex tells me.

 

“I stopped ignoring the way he treated people. My friend Blake had problems in the past, but he cleaned up his life. Until Michael started treating Blake like he did something to Michael, not Ted, Blake’s partner, most of the things Michael did, were like a kid wanting attention from the popular crowd. I ended up realizing that I don’t like the way Michael tried to alienate anyone who tried to have a relationship with Michael’s friends. Gus’s mothers and I had problems because of it, but Michael never took it out on Gus directly, so I left the girls to deal with Michael’s shit. Mel didn’t want me in the middle of their problems with Michael and I respected that, and her, for not asking me to do it. I met Justin and almost let him go because I didn’t want him to have to deal with Michael and the gang. If I’m being honest, Justin scares me, and I ran from wanting to give him all of me, so Michael isn’t the only reason.” I tell him.

 

“You’re not running from Justin anymore?” He asks me.

 

“How do you run from someone who never leaves your mind?” I ask him.

 

“I hope to someday be able to feel that.” He tells me.

 

“What about Grant’s mother?” I ask him, wondering where the woman is.

 

“Grant was the result of a one night stand. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me. When his mother came to me I paid to keep her from aborting him. She was young and wanted to finish school and didn’t see being a mother as part of her life. I helped her get what she wanted and got my son.” He tells me.

 

“You’ve never dated or had a relationship in all these years?” I ask.

 

“I did, it’s just no one was more important to me than Grant, until I meet Justin and Daphne. Grant was getting into a lot of trouble, and then he started taking college seriously out of the blue. One day he brought home Justin and Daphne, who didn’t see the point in going to college if all it was about was partying. They helped get Grant to take his future seriously and ended up being family to me.” He tells me.

 

“Michael’s mother did that for me. I don’t want to lose the only mother I knew, but I can’t let Michael be in a life that would involve Justin.” I tell him.

 

“You love Justin that much?” He asks.

 

“Enough that I would dare anyone to try to take him from me. It wouldn’t end well for them.” I tell him.

 

“Then you have your answer, cut the dead weight.” He tells me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

BEN

 

I walked into the house and saw Michael in the kitchen eating cereal. After Brian left I sat in Woody’s trying to understand what Brian was implying. Looking at Michael’s arms and face, I didn’t know what to think. He gave me a look I’ve never seen on his face before, it was as if he couldn’t figure out why I was there.

 

“What happened to you last night?” I ask.

 

“You should know, or did the steroids affect your memory?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t do this to you.” I tell him.

 

“Are you sure, I mean all I did was try to get you to see that you could never take Brian’s place.” He tells me, putting the bowl down.

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask, when he reaches for a glass.

 

“How I could never love a man who isn’t Brian?” He asks me, throwing the glass against the wall.

 

I stood there watching Michael throw things off the counter and then hit his head against the refrigerator. I went to grab him to stop him, not understanding what he was doing. He backhanded me then slammed his hand against the counter and I heard the break.

 

“Michael what the hell are you doing?” I ask the man who I didn’t recognize.

 

“Making sure that I get what I wanted when I married you.” He tells me, pulling his phone out.

 

“My husband is going crazy and I’m afraid of what he’s going to do.” He tells the person on the phone.

 

“Michael?” I ask.

 

“He’s still here, I don’t know what to do. He’s smashing up my kitchen.” He tells the person on the phone while looking at me and smirking.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I were in the car taking a sleeping Gus to the girls. Alex promised that Gus could come visit anytime, and won Gus’s approval and mine.

 

“I like your friends.” I tell him.

 

“I could tell, Alex is easy to like. I know sooner or later Grant will get over his ‘Brian the God’ fixation.” He tells me.

 

“He actually said a full sentence, so there’s progress.” I tell him as his phone rings.

 

“Do you know this number?” He asks, showing me the phone.

 

“It’s Deb’s number.” I tell him, taking the phone.

 

“Brian, Ben is in jail.” She tells me.

 

“Michael decided to press charges?” I ask.

 

“After today he did.” She tells me, sounding like a protective mother.

 

“I saw Ben last night, he didn’t do anything to Michael.” I tell her.

 

“I want to believe that, but it was bad at the house when we got there. Everything was tossed around and Michael has a broken arm. He said Ben showed up and went into a rage when Michael threw all his steroids in the garbage.” She tells me.

 

“Deb, I can’t do this.” I tell her.

 

“I know he said some things last night, but this is different, Michael had to go to the hospital.” She tells me.

 

“How bad is he?” I ask, as we pull up to the girls house.

 

“I’ll take Gus in so you can talk.” Justin tells me, pulling Gus out.

 

“Brian, can you pay attention to me, Michael needs us.” She tells me.

 

“Then be there for him, I won’t let Michael use me this time.” I tell her.

 

“I need you to help me.” She tells me.

 

“Then get him some help, because telling me that I belong to him, means I can’t be there.” I tell her, hanging up.

 

Justin was upstairs with Lindsay, putting Gus to bed when I came in. I sat down next to Mel.

 

“Ben is going to need a lawyer.” I tell her.

 

“Why?” She asks.

 

“Michael showed up at my club and said Ben beat him last night. I guess Ben didn’t believe me when I said no one was safe from Michael’s agenda.” I tell her.

 

“I can see if a friend will at least go talk to him. There are just too many bad feeling between us for me to offer.” She tells me.

 

“I have a friend that could help him, it’s just I don’t want to cause more problems.” Justin tells us, coming in the room.

 

“We shouldn’t help either of them.” Mel tells us.

 

“If Ben didn’t do anything it could ruin his life. I wouldn’t want that for anyone.” Justin tells her.

 

“Why do you think it would cause problems?” I ask him.

 

“He’s someone I dated for a while. We broke up, but he’s still there if I need him. He’s a lawyer.” Justin tell us.

 

“As long as he understands that your not available, then call him.” I tell him.

 

JUSTIN

 

I listened to what Brian was saying to Mel and I knew that Dan could help. I called him and I smiled as he greeted with me the usual.

 

“I knew you’d miss me, so who do I owe to hear from you?” He jokes.

 

“My new boyfriend needs someone to help him.” I tell him.

 

“So it was just to break my heart.” He laughs.

 

“You seemed really heart broken that last time too, what was his name?” I tell him.

 

“I don’t really remember. So what do you need from little old me?” He asks.

 

“Remember the problem I was having at school with the college professor’s husband?” I ask him.

 

“Remember I told you to get the fucking restraining order? Justin, that guy is a psycho.” He tells me.

 

“Calm down it’s not me that has the problem, but the professor. His husband is accusing him of abuse. Brian said that he doesn’t think Ben did anything, but now apparently Michael’s in the hospital and Ben’s in jail. I just didn’t ever get the feeling that Ben was abusive, a prick for letting his husband harass me, yes, but not the kind of guy who hits anyone.” I tell him.

 

“Where are you?” He asks me.

 

“I’m at a friend’s with my boyfriend, but I can meet you in town.” I tell him.

 

“Meet me at the coffee shop you like.” He tells me.

 

I hung up and looked at Brian who was standing behind me. “He doesn’t mean what you do to me. He’s a friend, that’s all.” I tell him.

 

“I trust you.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

“Just don’t take the way he is as anything, he cares for the people he loves.” I tell him.

 

“Does he still love you?” He asks me.

 

“He never understood that I didn’t need someone to fight all my battles. He always wanted to be someone’s hero, I didn’t need that.” I tell him.

 

“If you do, you let me be that for you.” Brian tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

I walked in with Justin and Mel to meet the ex. I will say Justin has excellent taste in men. He stood up and picked Justin up off his feet, kissing his hair, but nothing I could argue with.

 

“You replaced me with Brian Kinney?” He asks Justin.

 

“I found someone who didn’t want to put me on a pillow.” Justin tells him.

 

“I can deal with Brian.” He tells me, staring me down.

 

“I can deal with the fact that he wants me.” I tell him.

 

We stood as tall, but like Ben, he had more muscle mass. Then he smiled and it was not hard to smile back at him.

 

“Just take care of him.” He tells me.

 

“Can we get to why I called you?” Justin asks him, looking unhappy with the comment.

 

“You want me to help the guy that let his husband harass you? Explain to me how in your mind this sounds like something I should help with?” He asks Justin.

 

“If he did do it, then I don’t expect you to help him, but if he didn’t, could you sit by while someone get’s prosecuted for something they never did?” Justin tells him.

 

“That’s not fair, you know I couldn’t.” He tells Justin.

 

“I know, so can you at least go with Brian and see what you think?” Justin asks him.

 

“Anything you ask, you know I would do.” He tells Justin.

 

“Thanks.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian, this is Justin’s friend? Do you know who he is?” Mel whispers to me.

 

“No, and right now I don’t know if Ben is worth this.” I tell her, looking at the way he seems to drink Justin in.

 

“He’s one of the best defense attorneys in the city. I will tell you this, he won’t help if he thinks Ben is guilty.” She tells me.

 

“So Brian, let’s go, so Justin will be happy with me.” Dan tells me.

 

“I’m going to go home, I’ll wait up for you.” Justin tells me kissing me.

 

“You don’t need to smirk, I lost him a long time ago. I wanted to wrap him up and protect him from the world. He wanted to experience everything. I’m a jealous bastard and he brought it out in me. He didn’t like it, so we broke up.” He tells me.

 

“Yet, you’re available if he needs you.” I tell him, sounding like the jealous bastard I am.

“Yes, and I always will be. You need to rein that in, because he won’t be happy to hear it.” He tells me.

 

“I know you still want him.” I tell him, trying to stop.

 

“Of course, but I also know he doesn’t want it from me, the way he wants it from you. Just don’t fuck up with him and you’ll never have to worry about me.” He tells me.

 

“He brings out the protective in all of us doesn’t he?” I ask him.

 

“If you meet Alex, then you’ve won without knowing it.” He tells me.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask as we pull up.

 

“Justin only introduces people to Alex if he serious.” He tells me.

 

“So you were introduced to Alex?” I ask.

 

“Nope, met him only because Justin and I were at the same restaurant one night. Otherwise I don’t think we would have met.” He tells me, getting out.

 

“He took me to meet Alex.” I tell him, feeling a bit smug.

 

“Yeah, well then explain why you want me to help this asshole.” He tells me.

 

“For my adopted mother, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. She needs to not fall into her son’s shit, but right now she can’t see past his broken arm to see that Ben is a lot of things, but not an abusive asshole.” I tell him.

 

“I fucking hate false reports, it ruins lives. You know that even if nothing comes of this, he’s forever stained with it.” He tells me.

 

“Then he learns, and moves on with his life.” I tell Dan.

 

Carl was standing at the front when we came in. He looked at Dan then at me as if to figure out why we were standing there.

 

“Dan is here to talk to Ben.” I tell Carl.

 

“Isn’t this a bit under your radar?” Carl asks Dan.

 

“A friend asked me to help, so here I am.” Dan tells him.

 

DAN

 

I walked into the room and I knew the minute Ben realized who I was. Brian walked in and sat in the chair staring between us.

 

“Look, if you're here to warn me to leave Justin alone, I am.” He tells me.

 

“Actually I’m here because Justin seems to think you need my help. I’d let you fry, but Justin wouldn't be happy with Brian or me if I did. He has this problem with right and wrong, to him no one should be punished for breathing, but then you didn’t mind doing it to him. Why would your loving husband suddenly decided you're an abusive prick?” I ask him.

 

“He wants him.” Ben tells me, glaring at Brian.

 

“Lots of people have, but they don’t charge people with abuse. Are you doing steroids?” I ask when I read that in the complaint. “Don’t lie to me, anyone else you need to is fine, but I need to know everything, including things that will make you look bad.” I tell him, when I see the moment he wanted to lie to me.

 

“Yes, but when I get that angry I leave.” He tells me.

 

“You need to get counseling, now we just have to prove you didn’t break his arm and smash up the house.” I tell him.

 

“He did it to himself.” Ben tells us.

 

I turn to Brian and look back at Ben. “Why didn’t you tell the police that?” I ask.

 

“Carl is Michael’s soon to be stepfather, who do you think he’s going to believe? Michael looks like a freight train hit him.” Ben tells me.

 

“Yet, you don’t have a mark on you.” Brian tells him.

 

“Which would be hard if you and he fought the way Michael indicates in this report. I’ll have you out in an hour, but do not go near Michael or his family, do you understand me?” I tell him.

 

“I need my things.” Ben said quietly.

 

“Emmett can go and get them, do what your lawyer is telling you.” Brian tells him.

 

“I need you to give me written permission to see your house, and I’ll help the guy get your stuff.” I tell Ben.

 

“Thanks.” Ben tells me.

 

“Don’t thank me, I honestly wouldn’t help you, but Justin wants me to for Brian.” I tell him.

 








Chapter 16 by starlight

EMMETT

 

When Brian told me to meet Ben’s lawyer at Michael’s house, I did not expect the man who greeted me. 

 

“Are you Emmett?” He asks me.

 

“Sure. I mean yes.” I tell him.

 

“I need to see what I’m dealing with.” He tells me, when I just stood there.

 

“I'm surprised Brian was willing to help Ben.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin asked me, and I never tell him no.” He tells me. 

 

“You're Justin’s friend?” I ask.

 

“At one time I would have been whatever he asked. So if you have a problem with Justin be smart enough not to say it in front of me.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t have a problem with Justin, but you will have a problem with Brian if you want Justin.” I warn him.

 

“Brian and I understand each other.” He tells me.

 

“Emmett, I went and got the key from Carl.” My assistant Renny tells me.

 

“Hello” Dan smiles at Renny.

 

“Hi. Um, do you need me to do anything else?” Renny asks me, but I wasn’t sure since he was staring at Dan.

 

“Maybe later?” Dan tells Renny, practically crowding him.

 

“Dan, can we do this, you know the reason we are here?” I ask, but it’s like I’m talking to myself.

 

“You know, I don’t see a reason Brian needs to worry about you.” I tell him, when he keeps that smile aimed at Renny.

 

“I don’t stand a chance, Justin never looked at me the way he does Brian. Shit, this is a mess.” He tells me, looking at the kitchen.

 

When he got near the blood, I pulled his hand away. “If any of this is Ben’s then we shouldn’t touch it.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not, and I wasn’t going to touch it. It’s just Ben is close to my height so if the fight Michael is saying happened, really happened, things should be worse than this.” He tells me, pointing out the higher cabinets.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask him.

 

“Renny can you stand here for a second.” Dan asks pointing to the counter. “If Ben picked Michael up the way Michael described, then there should be more damage higher up.” He tells me, picking Renny up and holding him up like he weighed nothing. “But the damage is only in areas Michael could reach, my report puts Michael at 5’8, is that right?” He asks, not putting Renny down.

 

“Yes. And you know, as much as Renny is enjoying you holding onto him, can you let him down?” I ask him.

 

“You want me to?” He asks Renny.

 

“My God, Justin traded you for your twin.” I tell Dan.

 

“I just want to make sure Renny doesn’t mistake my intentions.” He tells Renny.

 

“I won’t, but Emmett needs me to take care of something so I do need to get down.” Renny tells him, taking off when Dan let him go.

 

“Tell me about Michael?” He asks me.

 

“What about him?” I ask him.

 

“I just want your impression of the person he is. ” He tells me.

 

“He can be the nicest person you know. On the other hand, if he doesn't like something or someone, he goes out of his way to let them know, and expects everyone to agree with him.” I tell him.

 

“What could Ben have done to warrant this mess?” He asks me.

 

“At a guess, Brian seeing Justin is what caused this.” I tell him.

 

“Because Brian never got serious about anyone before?” He asks. 

 

“Which is strange, because more recently it was all about Ben.” I tell him. 

 

“Yeah, I know all about Ben.” He tells me, scowling.

 

“I'll never understand why Ben used Justin like that.” I tell him. 

 

“I wasn’t exactly thrilled at what was going on either. I'm sure if Justin ever finds out I told Ben to leave him alone, I'll be on Justin’s shit list.” He tells me, not really looking concerned.

 

“You still have feelings for Justin?” I ask. 

 

“I probably always will, but I also know he’s never looked at me the way he does Brian. Can you get what Ben needs, I'm ready to go.” He tells me. 

 

“There's one other thing you need to know about Michael, in his mind, nothing is more important than Brian’s attention.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin is going to hate the protective bastard I'm about to be.” He tells me. 

 

“You'll have to stand in line behind Brian.” I tell him. 

 

As we were walking out Dan looks back from his car. “Give Renny my number.” He tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian called and told me he was staying at his loft tonight. I didn’t know what to think, we’d spent every night together, and now he was staying there. Daphne came in while I was sitting around trying to decide what to do.

 

“Brian’s not here?” She asks me.

 

“He said he was staying at his place tonight.” I tell her.

 

“Why are you worried?” She asks.

 

“I called Dan to see if he could help with something and then after spending time with Dan today, Brian decides to stay at the loft instead of with me.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, go see him and make sure he knows Dan is your past.” She tells me.

 

I drove to the loft and knocked on the door. Brian opened the door and smiled when he saw me, letting me in. 

 

“I wondered if you’d show.” He tells me.

 

“I wondered why you didn’t want to come to my house.” I tell him.

 

“I needed time to think.” He tells me, pulling out a beer.

 

“About what?” I ask him.

 

“Dan, and why you broke up with him. Justin, I can’t promise not to want to protect you. I can’t promise not to go overboard when I think something will hurt you. I need to know that you won’t end us, because I love you enough to want to hold back the world if it could hurt you in any way.” He tells me.

 

“It wasn’t that he tried to protect me, it’s that he would do things without telling me he was doing them. He always acted like I couldn’t take care of myself without him. I know some guys love that, but I don’t. I fought all my life to be independent, and I can't be in a relationship if I still have to fight for it.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just something about you, it makes me want to fight for you.” He tells me.

 

“All I want is for you to love me.” I tell him.

 

Brian pulled off my shirt and ran his hands down my chest. I started unbuttoning his jeans and reached in to feel how ready he was for me. He stood and let me run my hands over him. “You are a work of art.” I tell him.

 

His muscles flexed as I leaned in and kissed each place my hands touched. He pulled our bodies together and pulled my lips to meet his and used his tongue to lick his way into my mouth. We were grinding into each other and when my hand surrounded his cock he pulled back, breathing hard, letting me take the lead as I twisted my hand and fell to my knees to take him in my mouth. I swallowed as I took him in and used my tongue in the way that makes him go crazy. He pulled away and backed us onto the cushions on the floor, then worked his way down to take me in as he worked his fingers into me. I started moving with him as he moved his fingers faster and wanted to hold back but couldn’t. When I came in his mouth he drank until I was drained. Then he pulled my legs over his shoulders, pulling a condom out and putting it on. He didn’t wait, but thrust into me while I was still coming down from my orgasm. I screamed as he kept me stimulated enough that I ended up cumming again as he thrust faster, then held me as he finished.

 

“Stay.” I told him when he moved.

 

BRIAN 

 

I  agreed to meet Dan, but I told Justin I was going. I wasn't going to make the same mistakes Dan made with Justin.

 

“You know, if you were still the same guy everyone knew, I'd fight you.” He tells me. 

 

“You wouldn’t win, he wants me.” I tell him. 

 

“I know, he isn’t making it a secret that you're the one he wants.” He tells me. 

 

“Why did you ask me to come here?” I ask. 

 

“Ben’s is going to look bad, just because of his size. I need to know how well Michael can play the victim. I also need to know if there is anyone who would testify to Ben’s character.” He tells me. 

 

“The last few years Ben hasn't made a lot of friends. It's going to be hard for anyone we all know to say nice things. Which has more to do with him letting Michael get away with the shit he does than anything else. As for Michael, he can play the part to the hilt.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian, has Justin told you the real version of what was happening, not the watered down one he gives.” He asks.

 

“I got that Michael was harassing him, but that it was fine as long as they never crossed paths outside of school.” I tell him. 

 

“You need to hear what really happened.” He tells me. 

 

“Not from you.” Justin tells him, walking up. “He needs to hear it from me.” Justin tells Dan.

 

“Justin?” I ask.

 

“Dan is going to make it sound more out of control than it was.” Justin tells me, glaring at Dan.

 

“You wish it wasn’t as bad as it got.” Dan tells him, glaring back.

 

“Shit, I should have never stayed in Pittsburgh.” Justin says, staring at the table. “I thought once I graduated I'd never see him again. Michael didn't just chase me around campus, it was as if he just knew where I'd be and showed up.” He tells me. 

 

“You know how he knew.” Dan tells Justin.

 

“Not at first, it just always seemed like he was somewhere, making my life hell.” Justin tells me. 

 

“How did he know?” I ask. 

 

“Justin attracts stalkers.” Dan tells me.

 

“My soon to be stepbrother. I told you I went to college to get away from Chris, but not just because of bullying, but because he became fixated. It's how I met Dan.” Justin tells me. 

 

“Daphne made Justin come see me.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael only mentioned you in the last four months.” I tell him.

 

“Michael only started helping Chris in the last four months. Chris was around before the Ben thing. When I meet Dan, it was just Chris doing things, like being anywhere I was and breaking into my room at school. It’s why I really stayed with Alex and Grant. Alex made it so if Chris showed up he was escorted off Alex’s property. When I started seeing Dan, Chris left me alone, but when we broke up it started again, but Chris didn’t do anything to get in trouble, so the school didn’t do anything. Then when Michael started running after me, the school started to think I was the problem, not Chris or Michael.” He tells me.

 

“The school took it seriously when I showed up with restraining orders for Ben as well as the other two, but managed to convince Justin they would make it so Chris and Michael couldn’t bother him anymore. Only one problem; Molly.” Dan tells me.

 

“Chris’s mother and my father started seeing each other and Chris became the brother Molly felt I wasn’t. So at first when she was calling me, I didn’t realize it was so she could tell Chris where I was. She doesn’t understand what was going on with Chris either, so she would call and then mention to Chris where I told her I was going. One day we assume Chris ran into Michael and the two were doing things that I couldn’t prove because one watched me and the other did whatever fucked up shit the two thought up. They tossed my room, slashed my artwork, and told people all sorts of things. I just thought at least I was done with Michael, and my father is dealing with Chris.” Justin tells me.

 

“Justin, Craig is just keeping Chris from bothering you, not dealing with what Chris was doing.” Dan tells him. “Craig doesn’t believe what Chris was doing was anything but showing his disapproval of Justin’s sexuality.” He tells me.

 

“Is Chris going to be a problem?” I ask Justin, who smiles at me.

 

“I think he knows that he and his mom will be out on their asses if he bothers me.” Justin tells me.

 

“If Chris’s father wasn’t just as big of a homophobic prick as Craig, I would have thanked him for divorcing Chris’s mother. Unlike Justin, Chris can be controlled by Craig.” Dan tell me.

 

“Without Chris to help, Michael became just an annoyance, nothing I couldn’t deal with.” Justin tells Dan.

 

“But Justin, you now have what Michael covets.” Dan tells him.

 

“He’s not smart enough to take me on.” Justin tells him.

 

“He smart enough to frame Ben for abuse.” I tell Justin.

 

“You and Dan are smarter and since I’m a genius, they can’t win.” Justin tells me.

 

“Ben was worried about Carl not believing him. What are your thoughts on Carl? He’s always seemed willing to listen and not jump to conclusions.” Dan tells me.

 

“It’s Deb that’s the problem, right now she can’t see past Michael being hurt.” I tell him.

 

“Mom needs to know what her son is like.” Dan tells me.

 

“She knows, the question is whether she’ll protect him. Lately she’s been less likely to believe everything that Michael tells her. I think once she calms down, she’ll question it.” I tell Dan.

 

“I have a scheduled walkthrough with Carl. We are reconstructing the report, the DA doesn’t want to look like an idiot.” Dan tells me.

 

“Why are they worried?” Justin asks him.

 

“Michael made it sound like a huge knock down, drag out, yet Ben doesn’t have a scratch on him. Most of the damage was done as if Ben was Michael’s size. I have Ben writing a statement with what he says happened. Michael is going to have to show us how his version is the truth.” Dan tells us.

 

“You don’t think he will?” I ask.

 

“He’s most likely going to be pissed to see me there.” Dan tells us.

 

“You warned him off, didn’t you?” Justin asks.

 

“Justin, you know me well enough to know that I did.” Dan tells him.

 

“This is what I was telling you about.” Justin tells me.

 

“I don’t like the little asshole, never did.” Dan tells Justin.

 

“You knew Michael before, didn’t you?” I ask Dan.

 

“Not really, just as Brian Kinney’s lap dog. He was insignificant when he tried to warn me off you.” Dan tells me.

 

“We’ve never, I would remember.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry, you don’t interest me, but at one time, Ted did. It’s my lot in life to love the ones that love others.” He tells me, laughing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 17 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I asked Justin to come with me to Kinnetik, we needed to talk. I needed to know why he hadn’t told me everything. When we got in the building I let Cynthia know there would be no interruptions.

 

“Brian, we can talk later.” Justin tells me. 

 

“I want to know why you didn't tell me.” I tell him. 

 

“We had just started seeing each other, and I hate sounding like a victim. You’re one of the good things that has happened to me, and I didn't want the bad to taint this, what we have together.” He tells me. 

 

“Dan knows everything?” I ask. 

 

“So do you, it's just, Dan blows things out of proportion. I thought I was done with it, and wanted to move on.” He tells me. 

 

“If you don’t like how Dan kept things from you, you can’t expect me to like you doing it.” I tell him. 

 

“You know how I said I've talked so much about it, that I don't want to anymore?” He asks. 

 

“Yes, but we've never talked about it, so you're going to have to help me understand what you don't want to talk about.” I tell him. 

 

“My father hates that I'm gay. Chris hates that he is gay and wants me. Michael hates me for reasons I couldn’t tell you. My mother left when it became too much, and I've been on my own since I was sixteen. I have very few people who know anything about Chris and Michael because I end up looking like I can’t take care of myself. I liked that, when you saw me, you didn’t see ‘Justin the Victim’.” He tells me, looking at the floor.

 

“I still don’t, there are things in my past that should have you questioning whether I’m someone anyone would want to get involved with, but you're making decisions based on getting to know me. I wouldn’t be with you if I thought you couldn’t take care of yourself.” I tell him.

 

“Are we okay?” He asks me.

 

“Justin, if we want this to work, we talk. I don’t want to find out things like that because you feel like you have to tell me.” I tell him, glaring at the door when I see Deb standing there.

 

“We need to talk.” Deb tells me.

 

“About?” I ask her.

 

“You hired a lawyer for Ben.” She tells me, pointing her finger in my face.

 

“No, Brian didn’t. I got my friend to check into what Michael was accusing Ben of doing. I couldn’t see letting Ben end up in jail for something no one believes he did.” Justin tells her.

 

“You’re helping Ben after what he did to you? Deb asks Justin accusingly.

 

“Don’t you think that’s strange, if Justin wasn’t interested in Ben?” Deb asks me.

 

“No, I don’t.” I tell her.

 

“Ben hurt Michael, and your new boyfriend is helping Ben. Your boyfriend, who Michael had problems with in the recent past.” She tells us, getting upset.

 

“Which Michael caused, not Justin. Make sure you understand that part Deb, Michael harassed Justin, not the other way around.” I tell her.

 

“Because Justin wouldn’t leave Ben alone.” She tells me.

 

“Not according to Ben, or you, or were you just saying that to keep the peace? It was all because Ben couldn’t handle his own jealousy over your son not being able to love Ben the way he promised when he married him. Do not come here and think for even one second that you can blame Justin for not wanting to see an innocent man get his life ruined because of your son.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, there’s no way Michael would have hurt himself like that. It’s something someone crazy would do.” She tells me, trying to convince herself.

 

“He needs help Deb, because you're right, only someone crazy would do what he did.” I tell her.

 

“Michael isn’t crazy, it’s just he…” 

 

“He destroyed his kitchen, then called the police when Ben stood there trying to figure out what Michael was doing. Go see your son-in-law, he doesn’t have a mark or bruise on him. How would that be possible if he and Michael practically brawled in the house. Why didn’t the fucking neighbors hear anything? Those fuckers are the nosiest people I’ve ever meet. Trust me, if Michael was telling the truth, someone would have heard the shit crashing all over the house. Open your fucking eyes, to more than Michael’s broken arm.” I tell her.

 

“He wants to see you.” She tells me.

 

“It won’t get him what he wants from me. I can’t stand by someone who could do what Michael is doing, not only to Ben, but to everyone.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, I’m asking you to at least talk to him.” She tells me.

 

“No, you're hoping I’ll find a way to clean up the mess he just made.” I tell her.

 

Deb stared at me like she used to when she expected me to help her son. “He wants to be a victim and I don’t have room in my life for someone like that.” I tell her and Justin.

 

DAN

 

Brian called me and told me to meet him and Justin at Woody’s. I walked in and picked Justin up from behind, while Brian rolled his eyes. I looked over at Ted and give him my toothy grin, he still looked good, happy with the new guy, but good. Emmett was sitting by them, so I kissed Justin’s head and bumped Emmett over.

 

“Did you actually give my number to your assistant?” I ask Emmett.

 

“Yes, but you kind of came on a bit strong. Renny doesn’t trick.” He tells me.

 

“Hopefully he calls.” I tell him.

 

“Hi, I’m Ted and this is my boyfriend Blake.” Ted tells me.

 

“Yeah, I know you’re Ted. Good job landing Ted.” I tell Blake, smiling at Ted’s confusion.

 

“Apparently before Dan got better taste, he wanted you.” Brian tells Ted.

 

“Very funny, Boss.” Ted tells him.

 

“I did, but Michael thought I wanted Brian, and you got away. It was a very heartbreaking moment for me.” I tell him.

 

“Which means he tells you he will love you forever, then finds a trick to help it mend.” Justin tells us, messing up Dan’s hair.

 

“Justin, um, hey. You told me to come?” Grant tells Justin, arriving next.

 

“Yes, but could you maybe look at Dan when you want to say something to Brian.” Justin tells him. 

 

“He’s having problems looking at Brian and talking.” Justin stage whispers to me.

 

“You never had that problem with me.” I tell him, pretending it hurt.

 

“That’s because you're one giant pain in the ass.” Grant tells me.

 

“Grant, let’s go play a game of pool.” Brian tells him, pulling a whimpering Grant behind him.

 

“So I heard from Emmett you found a new love.” Justin tells me.

 

“Who knows, maybe, but until this thing you want me to do is done, it’ll have to wait.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett told us you were helping Ben? I would have left Ben and Michael to deal with their own shit.” Blake tells me.

 

“I would have too, but Justin asked, so I do.” I tell him.

 

“You’re a better person than I could be.” Blake tells Justin.

 

“There was a time when no one believed me. I can’t sit by and let Ben be blamed for something he didn’t do.” Justin tells us.

 

“Neither could I.” I tell Justin.

 

“I know, it’s why I called you.” He tells me.

 

“They used to date.” Emmett tells the guys.

 

“Brian doesn’t have a problem with you calling an old boyfriend to help?” Ted asks.

 

“Brian knows for me, there is only him. Dan knows Brian is it too.” Justin tells them.

 

“Brian told me that getting character witnesses for Ben might be hard, but if I asked you to testify to both Michael and Ben, who would come out better?” I ask Ted, Emmett, and Blake.

 

“Ben, but only because Michael’s a piece of shit.” Blake tells me.

 

“He might still be a bit angry with Michael.” Ted tells me.

 

“Ben, but only because I can't see him doing what Michael said happened.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“Hopefully, when we do the walk through it will end this. I really hate helping the guy who caused you problems.” I tell Justin.

 

“So since Brian like kicked my ass, is there anyone who sucks at pool so I can win.” Grant asks, looking at me.

 

“He still can't get past squeaking.” Brian tells us.

 

“I can, I just don't talk directly to you.” Grant tells Brian, looking at me.

 

“Ted really sucks.” Blake tells him. “At pool, get your mind off my boyfriend.” He tells me. 

 

“Missed that opportunity.” I tell Blake, laughing at Ted blushing.

 

TED

 

“You’re kind of quiet.” Blake tells me on the way home.

 

“I'm just realizing that maybe I need to stop seeing myself as plain old Ted.” I tell him. 

 

“Only you seem to see yourself that way, to me, you're gorgeous.” Blake tells me. 

 

“It's just, to me you're one of the most beautiful men I know. It was always hard to understand why you were with me.” I tell him. 

 

“Because I love you, and to me you make even a bad day good, just by being with me. If Dan had managed to meet you, you'd be fighting me off with a stick to win you.” He tells me. 

 

“He wouldn’t have stood a chance, like Justin said about Brian, it’s you for me.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL

 

I sat on the couch, wanting to go find Brian. Ma came home and said that Brian wasn’t coming, then started questioning me about why Ben would become violent.

 

“He was angry, like I told you. He’s been upset ever since he found out Justin was dating Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Michael, maybe instead of pressing charges, we get Ben some help with his steroid use.” She tells me.

 

“He didn’t do what he should have.” I tell her.

 

“What are you talking about?” She asks me.

 

“I mean… um, he shouldn’t have taken out his anger on me.” I tell her, going to my room.

 

I dialed his phone just to hear his voice. “This number is no longer in service.” That little shit made Brian change his number. I sat there getting angrier that I couldn’t even just call and hear Brian’s voice on his answering machine. I tried to find out Justin’s address, but fucking Lindsay seems to think I don’t need to know. I couldn’t call Chris because apparently ‘Daddy Dearest’ is monitoring all Chris’s calls, to keep him from causing problems. Everything would have worked the way it was supposed to if Ben hadn’t gotten better after his last bout of pneumonia. I realized then that Brian was finally ready to have a relationship, because he came to take care of me when I called. After that, he wasn’t running out tricking anymore, and I knew it meant he was just waiting for me to be free of Ben. Only, when Ben got better, Brian backed off again, and I wanted him back, showing me he loved me. When Ben started talking about Justin, I saw it as a way to get Brian to come back to me. I made sure everyone heard about how the little asshole was trying to break up Ben and me. Brian was there, letting me cry on his shoulder, until he brought home the asshole that was causing my pain and stopped talking to me again. Now Brian isn’t coming when he knows I need him to help me through this. 

 

“Michael.” Carl calls me from the doorway. “I need you to be ready in the morning to meet with the DA and Ben’s attorney. They both want you to walk them through exactly what happened.” He tells me.

 

“I wrote down what happened, why do I have to show them?” I ask him.

 

“Because even the DA is finding it hard to believe that what you described happening, actually happened. Ben doesn’t have a scratch on him.” He tells me, staring me down.

 

“What could I have done, Ben is a giant compared to me. I just tried not to get killed while he was raging.” I tell him.

 

“If there is anything in your statement that wasn’t true you’d better tell me now, before we deal with the attorney that Ben has. Dan doesn’t take cases unless he believes the person is innocent. I could tell he does, and so does Brian.” He tells me.

 

“Brian came to see you?” I ask, getting angry.

 

“No, he brought the attorney representing Ben. Even your best friend is finding this hard to believe.” He tells me.

 

“When Ben’s in jail, Brian will realize he shouldn’t have turned against me.” I tell him.

 

“The better question is, why Brian doesn’t believe you?” Carl asks me, leaving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I brought Emmett with me to Alex’s house to entertain Grant while Alex and I worked. 

 

“So I keep Grant from running in and out like Gus?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Pretty much, he gets bored when he’s waiting for Alex and I to get done. So he tends to try to help when he gets bored and we end up taking twice the time to finish.” I tell him.

 

“So I got volunteered to entertain him?” Emmett asks me.

 

“No, I’m under the impression that this was Dan and Brian’s way of making sure I wasn’t alone on the way.” I tell him.

 

“Well yeah, but you can keep pretending you don’t have two God’s wanting to protect your ass, if it will keep your pride in check.” He tells me.

 

“Sorry. It’s just hard to see why they’re worried about me when it’s Ben Michael is doing everything too.” I tell him, pulling in.

 

“It’s always about Brian with Michael. I think they just want a witness if Michael tries anything on you.” He tells me.

 

“And that I could understand.” I tell him opening the door. 

 

We got to the pool and Alex was coming out of the water. I turned to introduce Emmett to Alex. “Emmett, hello Emmett.” I waved my hands in Emmett’s face. “Hello, you still with me?” I ask as I turn Emmett’s face to me.

 

“What?” Emmett asks, looking at Alex again.

 

“Hi, you’re here to distract Grant for us?” Alex asks.

 

“What?” Emmett asks again.

 

“Alex, Emmett.” I tell him, worried when Emmett seems to be in his own world.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Alex tells him, holding out his hand.

 

“Very nice to meet a friend of Justin’s.” Emmett tells him, shaking Alex’s hand.

 

“Well, we need to get to work, so have fun with Grant.” I tell Emmett.

 

EMMETT

 

“Okay, calm down boy, he’s not interested.”

 

“Who not interested?” Grant asks me, sitting on the float next to me. “Cause you're hot, but I’m kind of still getting over losing Brian to Justin.” He tells me.

 

“If it helps, Brian wouldn’t have been interested in you. You would have chased him, and he’s had enough men chasing him. Although I have no idea how Justin met Brian, but I have a feeling he made Brian work for it.” I tell him.

 

“Justin really thought it was just a trick, until Brian showed up in Orlando. Then it was like Brian was spending every second he could with Justin. They just fit each other.” He tells me.

 

“They do, Brian is more open around him. Brian has always tended to block anyone when they try to get close to him, but Justin seems to have a way of breaking through.” I tell him.

 

“Justin never gives anyone a reason to hide things from him. He doesn’t make judgements until he knows the whole person.” Grant tells me.

 

“I always thought I was like that, until I met Justin. Then I realized I was letting my friendship with Michael change who I was.” I tell him.

 

“Bullshit, one thing my dad taught me is that no one makes you do anything. You have free will, only you can choose what you do.” He tells me.

 

“I chose to believe a friend, one who I didn’t want to believe was a bully.” I tell him.

 

“That guy is worse than a bully, he was always trying to find Justin. I don’t care what the school said, there was something really wrong with Michael.” Grant tells me.

 

“Grant, if Justin wants Emmett to know, he’ll tell him. Justin’s ready for you to debug the program. Go on in.” Alex tells him.

 

“That’s the most passionately I’ve ever heard someone talk about anything.” I tell Alex, when Grant went in.

 

“Justin means a lot to Grant. Grant was lost for a while and Justin and Daphne helped him find his way back.” He tells me.

 

“What happened? I mean, you don’t have to tell me, just curious.” I tell him.

 

“He met his mother, and she wasn’t what he thought she’d be. I think he expected her to be like all the stories where she regretted not being there for him. What he found was that she was happy with her life without Grant. She was nice, but she isn’t ever going to be the one baking cookies and kissing the boo boo’s. He did what all kids do when a parent disappoints them, he acted out. Only he ended up meeting Justin, who’d lost his whole family and didn’t let it become the only thing that mattered. Justin showed Grant how to be happy with what he had, when Justin had lost everyone.” He tells me.

 

“You respect that don’t you?” I ask.

 

“Why wouldn’t you respect someone who didn’t piss and whine, but got off his ass and worked for everything they have?” He asks me.

 

“Brian did that too.” I tell him.

 

“Which is why he and Justin will do well together. I only hope to find love like that someday.” He tells me.

 

“Too bad, I wouldn’t mind showing you.” I tell him.

 

“Why too bad?” He asks, as he gets up to walk in.

 

“Your straight, right?” I ask.

 

“I’m not into labels, it depends on the person.” He tells me.

 

DAN

 

Walter, the DA, met me at the house. We were waiting on Carl and Michael to arrive. Carl pulled up and had to pull Michael out of the car. I saw the minute the show started. 

 

“Why is he limping?” I ask.

 

“Why the fuck is this guy here?” Michael asks.

 

“You remember me, I’m honored.” I tell him.

 

“He’s that little shit’s guard dog, I don’t want him near me.” Michael tells them.

 

“He’s also your husband’s attorney. We wanted to make sure that we did this walk through once.” Walter tells him.

 

“I’m just not sure I can handle seeing what Ben did right now.” Michael tells him, looking wounded.

 

“Michael, we agreed to get this over with.” Walter tells him.

 

“I won’t do it, my doctor said that I shouldn’t do anything that could cause even more emotional trauma.” He tells us, tearing up.

 

“Well how about answering a few questions?” I ask him.

 

“Read the report, it’s self explanatory.” He tells me.

 

“I tried, but I found the story you told a bit unbelievable. Ben picked you up and threw you, but nothing in the medical file shows bruises on your back or any damage in areas that would have hit the counter. One other thing.” I tell him, running to his porch and screaming once I’m at the door.

 

“What are you doing?” Walter asks, when I stopped.

 

“Look around tell me what you see.” I tell him.

 

Every neighbor was out the door or looking at the house. 

 

“According to Michael, Ben was screaming at him and yet not one of these people came to see what’s going on?” I ask as two guys walk over to Michael.

 

“We were in the house.” Michael sneers.

 

“Excuse me, but could you go back in your house?” I ask the neighbor.

 

“Why?” He asks.

 

“I need to know, if someone had a fight next door could you hear it?” I ask him.

 

“Of course, the women who lived there before used to fight all the time. We all heard it.” He tells me.

 

“I was trying not to attract attention.” Michael tells us.

 

“You accused Ben of trying to almost kill you, but you didn’t want to attract attention?” Carl asks.

 

“I can’t stay here with everyone staring at me.” Michael tells us, walking to the car.

 

“Michael, when Ben had you on the ground and was trying to strangle you, how did you get away?” I ask.

 

“I managed to push him off me, I don’t remember how.” He tells me.

 

“But you remember it happening?” I ask, looking at his report.

 

“Of course, it’s in there.” He tells me pointing at the paperwork.

 

“No. It actually isn’t, I just made that up, the way you made this up. Here, learn to read what you write.” I tell him, shoving it in his hand.

 

“I must have been confused, it’s hard to remember everything.” He tells me.

 

“Okay, how about telling me exactly how you broke your arm on the counter. How far away was Ben and how did he actually do it? You seemed to not be able to describe it well in that report.” I tell him.

 

“He yanked my hand from the door and then… um, he threw me across the kitchen at the wall, and when I tried to get up he slammed my arm on the counter.” He tells me.

 

“What door?” I ask him.

 

“The back door, obviously” He tells me.

 

“The one on the other side of the house, Ben managed to throw you all the way across the house to your kitchen wall, which is a window?” Carl growls.

 

“I must have hit the wall before the kitchen.” He tells Carl.

 

“Or Michael decided to write fiction, and not a very good one. Call me if this gets past your trash can.” I tell Walter.

 

BEN

 

Brian was sitting in my office when I walked in, instead of ordering him out of the office I sat down.

 

“I don’t have anything to say to you. I’ll thank you for the help, but otherwise I don’t think there is anything we have to talk about.” I tell him.

 

“Why did you pick Justin?” He asks me.

 

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

 

“Out of all the students here, why him?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t intend to use Justin at all, but when I mentioned him and the things he’d achieved, it seemed to get Michael’s attention. I didn’t see the harm in it, Michael was never supposed to meet Justin.” I tell him.

 

“But when Michael did, you loved the jealousy so much that you let an innocent student deal with it?” He ask.

 

“All he had to deal with was Michael running his mouth.” I tell him.

 

“And destroying his art work, helping Justin’s fucking stalker, and making his life harder than it already was. That’s what you're ‘harmless idea’ did to Justin. Justin had no one to turn to because your ‘harmless idea’ had the school believing Justin was causing his own issues. I guess when the attorney who is about to bail your ass out of your newest problem handed them the restraining order, it made them have to deal with it, since you thought it was harmless. I almost want to tell Dan to let you deal with Michael’s idea of harmless. You’d only end up in jail, not really that bad right?” He asks.

 

“What Michael is doing is the same thing.” I tell him weakly.

 

“No it’s not, because it’s about getting my attention, instead of yours. Attention that you crave but seems to only be centered on me. What you never understood was that I would never give Michael what he wants, so you never needed to use Justin for the only attention Michael will ever give you. The leftovers of a relationship he wished for, but would never have gotten from me. The fact that Justin helped you when he had every reason not to, should tell you that the kind of person you used, didn’t deserve the shit you dealt him.” He tells me.

 

“I was never the kind of person who would do what I did, until Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Yes you were, you just hid it until it couldn’t stay hidden. We all have a part of us that we hide from the world, but it never stays in the closet forever.” He tells me.

 

“What’s in your closet?” I ask.

 

“When I love, I will do absolutely anything to keep the person I love from people like you and Michael. Don’t come near the ones I love, you won’t like my agenda.” Brian tells me, leaving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I swear, coffee is cursed, one freaking cup seems to bring assholes out of their hiding places. Of course Ben isn't Michael, so maybe it's not as bad as it could be.

 

“Justin, I know you would rather not talk to me but I need to tell you I'm sorry.” He tells me. 

 

“I've always held apologies as an out for people who weren't really sorry for anything. It's not doing things that you will have to apologize for that matters. Now if you really want to make it up to me, go away.” I tell him. 

 

“Just tell Brian I don't need him warning me.” He tells me, leaving. 

 

“Was that Ben?” Lindsay asks, coming out.

 

“Yes, and I guess Brian felt the need to protect me.” I tell her, pissed.

 

“Justin, it's how Brian is.” She tells me, stopping me.

 

“I don’t need him to fight for me.” I tell her. 

 

“Everyone needs someone to love them the way he loves you.” She tells me. 

 

“I won’t be the guy who hides while everyone fights for me.” I tell her. 

 

“Will you listen to me, you don’t have to agree, just listen?” She asks. “If someone was doing something to hurt Brian, would you do everything you could to protect him?” She asks. 

 

“Yes.” 

 

“Sometimes it isn’t about you, but how he’s feeling. The people he once called friends, hurt you. It took him this long to say anything to Ben, he normally wouldn’t have waited.” She tells me.

 

“So I shouldn’t be pissed that he pulled what Dan did?” I ask her.

 

“Sure, but understand that if the situation was reversed, could you say you wouldn’t have done the same thing?” She asks me.

 

“No, not if they were people I knew.” I tell her.

 

“So can we go back to the office and forget what Ben seemed like he was really here to do.” She tells me.

 

“Why do you think Ben was here?” I ask her.

 

“To see if he could jab Brian one more time. He can’t seem to see that the fault lies in himself.” She tells me.

 

I thought about what she said, and yes, I could see why Brian would want to piss all over Ben. With that thought in mind, I didn’t show my ass, much.

 

“Ben wanted to apologize.” I tell him.

 

“I told him to leave you alone.” He tells me.

 

“Really, that’s so sweet of you to learn all the things I hated that Dan did.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“I also left you a voicemail telling you I was going there to straighten Ben’s shit out. Did you forget to charge your phone?” He tells me smirking.

 

“You suck, and yes I forgot.” I tell him.

 

“I know, so I charged it while it sat in my office for the last two days.” He tells me.

 

“So you knew I wouldn’t get the message.” I tell him.

 

“You would, just not in time to stop me.” He tells me.

 

“Well I can stop you from taking a shower with me now.” I tell him, running to the bathroom and locking the door.

 

“This is childish, and I have the key.” He tells me, unlocking the door.

 

“I didn’t need a shower anyway.” I tell him, trying to get past him into his bedroom.

 

“I think you do, all that anger must have worked up a sweat.” He tells me pulling me in behind him.

 

“I will not shower with the King, for I am not worthy.” I tell him stripping and getting in.

 

“It’s fine if you want to worship on your knees.” He tells me.

 

“How about I…”

 

BRIAN

 

“What? Don’t stop now.” I tell him, then see him looking at my bedroom. “What?” I whisper.

 

“I think I just saw Michael.” He whispers.

 

I grabbed towels and threw my phone to Justin. I walked into the bedroom and then out to the living room. It was when I looked at my door that I realized it was open. 

 

“How the hell did he get in here?” Justin asks.

 

“Good question, since the locks were changed, and the codes.” I tell him.

 

“Could someone have let him in?” Justin asks me.

 

“I don’t know, but I think I’ll go find out. Go to your house and wait. I don’t want you dealing with Deb and Michael tonight.” I tell him.

 

“Brian.” Justin growls.

 

“This is about me, not you, and being able to come home to you will make it better.” I tell him.

 

“You turned my own words on me, good job. Don’t be long.” He tells me, picking up his things.

 

“Are you going to get pissed when I call someone to hang out with you?” I ask him.

 

“I’ll call Dan, since it’s like I’m with him all over again. Of course, the fact that I love you enough not to break up with you makes it different.” He tells me.

 

“I told you, you just didn’t get the messages. When you get home, listen to them.” I tell him.

 

JUSTIN

 

Dan showed up, giving me a wide berth, he knew this mood. I didn’t say anything but retrieved the messages that I hadn’t gotten. The first was Brian telling me that he was going to tell Ben to stay away. I hit delete. 

 

“Possibly you’re pissed at me and I won’t say sorry for what I did, because I’m not sorry for telling Ben exactly how I feel about him using you. He needs to know that he can’t fuck with my future and not hear what I think. He needs to understand that being married doesn’t mean being blind to what your spouse does, but then, when I marry you one day, I don’t have to worry you’d be anything like Michael.” The second message ended.

 

“So he’s planning the wedding?” Dan asks, going through my cabinets.

 

“What are you doing?” I ask him.

 

“I’m hungry, you guys call when I’m dreaming of food.” He tells me.

 

“Will you ever learn to cook anything?” I ask him.

 

“No, that’s why I date so much, they always tell me things they could cook for me. I make them prove it.” He tells me.

 

“That explains so much about our relationship, I was saving you from take-out.” I tell him, grabbing bread and eggs.

 

“Campfire toast, really? I’m defending the POS and I get egg cooked into toast.” He asks me.

 

“No dimwit, I thought I’d give you juice too.” I tell him, buttering the bread and pinching the hole, before cracking the egg on the bread.

 

“You want to know one of the things about you that I didn’t like?” He asks me.

 

“You mean I wasn’t perfect in every way?” I ask.

 

“You were far from perfect, I just loved you enough to overlook the things that I didn’t like.” He tells me. “You never understood that I wasn’t viewing you as weak when I did things. It was about me being angry that someone hurt the person I was in love with.” He tells me.

 

“I know why he did it, but I can’t always help how I feel about things. Maybe because I love him in a way I’ve never loved anyone, I’m dealing with this better than I would have if it had been anyone else.” I tell him, hoping Dan isn’t hurt by this. 

 

“Justin, I love you, but you aren’t the person who is right for me, and I accept that and only wish the best for you and Brian. I’ll always be there when you need me. I’ll always be there, but as what we are, friends.” He tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

Michael was waiting in front of the house when I pulled up, he smiled as if I did what he wanted.

 

“You finally came to see me, I knew you would.” He tells me.

 

“How did you get in the loft?” I ask, not letting him touch me.

 

“Brian, I’ve always been allowed to come and go when I want. You never cared.” He tells me.

 

“How?” I ask him.

 

“I took Lindsay’s key when I went to find out why you hadn’t come to see me. I don’t understand how you could ignore that I needed you to help me through this. It’s been awful, and that asshole that Justin got to defend Ben made it sound like I made it up. I need you to be there for me.” He tells me.

 

“Give me the key.” I tell him.

 

“He broke my arm, God was this what your father did to you? I never realized what you went through until it happened to me. Now it’s like we have another thing in common.” He tells me. “It’s something no one would understand until it happens to them.” He tells me.

 

“No one could, unless it really happened to them.” I tell him.

 

“You see, it means that we need to be together, because I can understand why you couldn’t love anyone for years.” He tells me, coming towards me.

 

“I couldn’t love anyone because I didn’t, and what you did to yourself makes me want you as far away from me as possible. You know what, keep the key, I don’t trust you that you didn’t make more.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I won’t let him have what should have been mine. You don’t get to love someone else when I waited all my life for you to love me and only me.” He screams.

 

“Michael?” Deb comes out, staring at him.

 

“I’ll make sure Ben gets punished for this if you walk away.” He sneers.

 

“Michael, stop.” Deb tells him.

 

“Brian loves me, and I won’t let some asshole who didn’t do anything to deserve him, get what I want and deserve. I’ll make what Chris and I did to Justin before look like child’s play if you continue this farce.” He yells at both of us.

 

“Oh God, what have you done to Justin?” Deb asks, horrified.

 

“Nothing the little shit didn’t deserve for being the prick tease he is. Chris would have been okay if Justin hadn’t made him want him, and Ben would have understood his place in my life if it wasn’t for Justin.” Michael ranted.

 

“What was Ben’s place?” I ask, wondering where his mind was going with this.

 

“To make sure you knew you could lose me.” He tells me. 

 

“Get him some help. If he shows up near Justin or me, I’ll let Carl arrest him.” I tell Deb.

 

“Brian, how can you turn away when you can see he needs us to help him?” She asks me.

 

“How can you expect me to help when you heard what he said?” I ask her, leaving.

 

I drove straight to Babylon and walked in, just wanting to forget Michael. I tilted my head to the backroom when a guy gave me the look. Then stood there wondering why the hell I was doing this. I turned to leave, but Emmett grabbed my arm.

 

“Are you trying to lose Justin?” He asks angry.

 

“No, and I was leaving, not following the trick.” I tell him.

 

“Why did you even come here?” He asks me.

 

“Habit. Michael pissed me off and I wasn’t thinking for a second.” I tell him.

 

“You have someone who can help you when you get like this, all you have to do is go home to him.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I know, and I am.” I tell him.

 

“Good, because I really don’t know if I could kick your ass, and I wasn’t in the mood to try and find out.” He tells me.

 

“Have a drink with me, we can celebrate your return to the world.” I tell him.

 

“Sure, and maybe fill me in on Alex?” He tells me.

 

“Justin’s Alex?”

 

“Hopefully if I play my cards right, my Alex.” He tells me.

 

“He’s gay?” I ask, not really seeing it.

 

“He said he’s not into labels.” He tells me.

 

“You could do worse, and have.” I tell him, joking.

 

“It’s just that I feel like I would be compared to Justin, and come out looking not as good.” He tells me.

 

“Emmett, it’s different being proud of your son. That’s how Alex sees Justin, as a son to be proud of, he’s not going to compare you to Justin, it’s a different kind of relationship.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t take this the wrong way Brian, but I’m proud of the person you’re becoming with Justin.” He tells me.

 

“I was always this person, Justin just makes it easier to be me and to let it show.” I tell him, kissing his head and going where I should have gone in the first place.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

BEN

 

I went to Dan’s office when he called me. After what I said to Justin, I wasn’t sure what reception I would get from Dan.

 

“Okay, the DA won’t agree to prosecute this because Michael can’t keep his story together. You have the option of filing a defamation of character, but since you and Michael are married, it would be like suing yourself.” He tells me.

 

“If I wanted to would you represent me?” I ask.

 

“No, because I think you deserve what you got, for all the bullshit you helped your husband do. Oh, and I don’t like you.” He tells me.

 

“You should understand what it was like for me, it was always Brian.” I tell him.

 

“Justin loving Brian has nothing to do with why my relationship with Justin didn’t work. Unlike you, I don’t stay in a no win situation. You married a man who couldn’t let go of someone who never wanted him, that’s something only a desperate person does. Wanting someone to love you doesn’t excuse hurting other people, but you and Michael seem to think it does. How does it feel to finally have something in common with the man you married?” He asks me.

 

“You’ll understand when Brian does something that hurts Justin over and over again. You’ll have to sit and watch someone you love make excuses for Brian.” I tell him.

 

“It can’t be just that Michael loves Brian the way you want him to love you. What is it really Ben?” He asks.

 

“I just don’t like how Brian treats people.” I tell him.

 

“So, I don’t like the way you treat people, but I don’t run off and interfere with your life the way you tried with Brian and Justin.” He tells me.

 

“Brian gets everything, and did nothing to deserve the life he has. He fucked half of Pittsburgh and didn’t end up the way he should have, an AIDS victim. I never did the things he did, lived with my partner, and ended up with HIV, and married to a man who worships the whore of Liberty Avenue.” I tell him, getting up to leave.

 

“Once again, how are the mistakes you made trusting the people you trusted to love you, Brian’s fault? Good luck in your life, because you’re now free of Brian as your excuse in life.” He tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

No coffee this time, just Deb wanting me to get Brian to help her. At least coffee would have had me not yawning when she talked, but then, Brian deciding we didn’t need sleep was really the problem.

 

“Justin, the only way Michael will go to a therapist is if Brian goes with him.” She tells me.

 

“What do you expect me to do, help your son, who treats me like garbage?” I ask, trying to keep my eyes open.

 

“You helped Ben and he was a part of it.” She tells me.

 

“I got Ben a lawyer when he was being accused of something your son made up.” I tell her, putting my head in my hands to keep from laying it down.

 

“I’m only asking that Brian help me get Michael to see someone to help him.” She tells me.

 

“Can’t you see that Brian being involved would only feed into Michael’s hopes that Brian wants more.” I tell her, getting up and moving around to stay awake.

 

“Brian gave him that hope Justin.” She tells me.

 

“I just figured out why Brian wants to blame himself for Michael.” I tell her. “You make him feel guilty when Michael screws up, what the hell kind of mother are you?” I tell her waking up.

 

“I just want Michael to get help, and he will if Brian…”

 

“Stop, just stop. Half the problem Michael has, is you. You enable Michael and then blame everything on Brian and expect him to fix it.” I tell her, wanting to shut up but I was just too tired to filter.

 

“Me loving Michael is a problem?” She screeches at me.

 

“Hold on.” I tell her, getting out my phone. “Hey, I’m about to bitch out Deb.” I tell Brian, hanging up.

 

“Why are you calling someone?” Deb asks.

 

“Brian and I agreed that we only get to tell people off if we tell each other. So you most likely only have fifteen minutes before he shows up.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll wait then, and he can tell me how, after everything I did for him, that he doesn’t feel the need to help me.” She tells me sitting back down.

 

“So you did the things you did, so he’d be indebted to you?” I ask her.

 

“No, I did it because Brian needed a safe place to go when it got bad for him.” She tells me.

 

“It doesn’t sound like it, I mean you just pretty much said that he owes you, for giving him a place to go.” I tell her.

 

“He doesn’t.” She tells me, not looking at me.

 

“Then don’t ask this of him, let him still see the mother he thinks you are to him.” I tell her.

 

Deb got up and pulled me into her arms. “Tell him, I get why he loves you.” She tells me, leaving my office.

 

My door flew open five minutes later and Ted was there, panting and bent over. “I’m here… wait where is Deb?” He asks falling into a chair.

 

“Hopefully off to find a place to put Michael away for a while.” I tell him laying my head down and closing my eyes.

 

“You need coffee?” Ted asks me.

 

“Nope, it tends to do bad things to me.” I tell him, napping.

 

BRIAN

 

I laughed when Justin called, but when I told Ted, he took off. I finished reading the report Ted was telling me about when Cynthia came in and sat down.

 

“I've not asked questions, but you have to help me out here. Who is allowed and who isn't? Also where does Justin fit in?” She asks. 

 

“Michael and Ben have no reason to come here or call. Anyone else, just ask.” I tell her. 

 

“Brian, what about Justin?” She asks. 

 

“He's free to come and go as he pleases.” I tell her. 

 

“Okay, so I get to tell Michael to go to hell, and Ben to stop thinking you cause his problems, got it.” She tells me. “One more thing, I like Justin, he understands when I tell him you're busy.” She tells me.

 

“I’m never busy if he calls, I don’t care what I’m doing, you put him through.” I tell her.

 

“I would, but he told me not to, unless you were free. Your taste in friends is improving.” She tells me.

 

“He’s more.” I tell her.

 

“Good, you need someone who doesn’t fall to his knees to please you.” She tells me.

 

“He would, but then, so would I.” I tell her, smirking.

 

Ted came back and sat in his chair, looking disappointed.

 

“Where did you go?” Cynthia asks.

 

“Deb showed up at Justin’s office and we all know how Deb is.” Ted tells her.

 

“Justin can deal with her.” I tell him.

 

“No shit, I ran in, she was already gone, and he falls asleep, not the reaction I expected.” He tells me.

 

I couldn’t help it, I laughed, I didn’t let Justin sleep when I came home from Babylon. Home? Is that what he is, my home?

 

“Cynthia, I need you to call a realtor.” I tell her.

 

“Are we looking for another building?” She asks.

 

“No, just put them through to me.” I tell her.

 

“Please tell me we aren’t opening another club.” Ted asks me.

 

“We aren’t, this is something personal.” I tell him.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian called and told me to meet him at his office after work. I got there and the offices were empty, I found Brian sitting on his couch staring at his drink. 

 

“I’m here, is there some reason you wanted to meet here?” I ask him.

 

“I need to ask you something without anyone around.” He tells me.

 

“Okay.” 

 

“Am I who you see when you see your future?” He asks me.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do you need time to get used to us, before I push for more?” He asks me.

 

“I’m not ready to get married if that’s what you want. I want to marry you someday, but just not now.” I tell him.

 

“I’m asking for a commitment from you that is bigger than marriage, so if you're not ready for that, I’ll wait.” He tells me, putting the drink down.

 

“What could be bigger?” I ask him.

 

“Finding a place to call our home, giving you the right to everything in my life. I know that I love you enough that it’s what I want.” He tells me.

 

“That is marriage.” I tell him.

 

“No, it’s trusting you with my life.” He tells me.

 

“Okay.” I tell him.

 

“Okay?” He asks.

 

“Let’s do it.” I tell him.

 

“Say it.” He tells me, resting his head on mine.

 

“Let’s find a place we can call our home, and whatever else you want, because I trust you too.” I tell him.

 

“We have an appointment to look at houses this weekend. I want our lives in one place.” He tells me.

 

LINDSAY

 

When I opened my door and saw Michael, I slammed it shut. Mel looked at me as the banging continued on the door.

 

“One guess?” She tells me.

 

“I’ll deal with him.”She tells me, getting up.

 

“Mel, I came to say I’m sorry for the things I did, and wanted to talk to you about something that could make up for it.” Michael tells her.

 

“There is nothing you would want from us that we’d want to do.” I tell him.

 

“What about a baby?” He asks.

 

“We have Gus, so we have one.” Mel tells him.

 

“Lindsay and I could give Gus a brother or sister. Then I could be the father Brian will never be for our children.” He tells us.

 

“Michael you need to leave, thanks for the offer, but no.” I tell him.

 

“Mel, for once wouldn’t you rather Lindsay doesn’t dream it’s Brian fucking her? With me as the father, you would know that she wasn’t pretending you were Brian.” He tells Mel.

 

“I know it when she screams my name when I make her cum, Michael.” Mel tells him.

 

“Think about it and let me know, I think it’s time for Gus to see me as who I should be to him.” Michael tells us leaving.

 

“We need to call Brian.” Mel tells me.

 

“Mel, we aren’t going to let Michael near Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay, do you want to be the person who didn’t tell Brian that Michael wants to be Gus’s other father?” She asks me. “He’s losing it, to even come here and suggest we’d use him to have a child.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll call, but are we really worried about Michael?” I ask her.

 

“Remember, we promised Brian anything involving Gus we’d all talk about? It’s not something we can pick and choose, if we want to be equal parents to Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Thank you for not letting what he said to cause you to react, well, I loved your answer.” I tell her kissing her.

 

“I only speak the truth.” She tells me smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 21 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I woke up to my phone ringing and Justin groaning, pulling his pillow over his head. 

 

“One day without a problem is all I ask.” He whines.

 

Smacking his ass, I look to see Lindsay calling. “Hey, Justin said no problems today.” I tell her.

 

“It’s about Gus, Mel wants to talk to you about what Michael said to us last night.” She tells me.

 

“Shit, where do you guys want to meet.” I tell her, looking at Justin.

 

“We can come over there if you want, it’s just I don’t want Gus to hear what we’re talking about.” She tells me.

 

“Michael showed up at the girls and they want to let me know what’s going on. They want to come here.” I tell him.

 

“I have to be at Alex’s, we could all go there. Grant will watch Gus for us.” He tells me.

 

“Justin suggested we meet at Grant’s house and Grant would watch Gus for us. Just bring a swimsuit for Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Hey Alex, is it okay if we bring Gus and his mothers over to your house?” Justin asks. “Thanks, can you tell Grant we need him to watch Gus?”

 

“Come here and we can go together.” I tell Lindsay when Justin nods.

 

I hung up and pulled Justin to my chest. “It won’t always be like this.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe this is just everything shitty that could happen, then the rest of our lives will be boring.” He tells me kissing me.

 

“There are no shitty days when you're there.” I tell him.

 

When Lindsay and Mel showed up we got in Justin’s car and headed to Alex’s house. Grant came running out and leapt into my arms. 

 

“Grant, you’ll never get over him if you keep doing this.” Justin tells him, laughing.

 

“My dad is… man, I was kind of attracted to him.” Grant says, as he runs into Justin’s arms.

 

“Grant, learn to knock.” Emmett tells us at the door.

 

“Working fast?” I ask him.

 

“Took a page from your book, I went after what I wanted.” He tells me, smirking when Grant whimpered.

 

“Old people sex, and God I’m going to be sick.” Grant tells Mel and Lindsay getting Mel to hold him.

 

“Can we go in and see what Mikey’s done now?” Emmett tells us. 

 

Grant took Gus and told him they were going where they never had to imagine their parents doing things. 

 

“You can use the kitchen, I put some food out for you.” Alex tells us, turning to leave.

 

“Stay, maybe having someone not personally involved in this will help.” I tell him.

 

“It’s fine, I need to get Lindsay to see that what Michael is doing should worry her.” Mel tells him.

 

“He showed up and started suggesting that he and I have a baby, and that he could be a father to Gus. None of which we would let him do.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“He really wants a way to connect himself to you.” Alex tells me.

 

“Tell Dan I want the restraining orders in place.” I tell Justin.

 

“When did you tell Dan you wanted that?” Justin asks.

 

“When he was leaving and I was coming in.” I tell him as he leaves to call.

 

“Brian, he needs more than an order. They only help if the person is afraid of the results.” Mel tells me.

 

“It’s what we have for now. Gus isn’t allowed near Michael.” I tell them.

 

“Dan is coming here.” Justin tells us.

 

“Brian, we need to tell Deb what’s going on. She’s going to have a hard time with this.” Emmett tells me.

 

“She either accepts it or she doesn’t. She needs to see for herself what her son is causing. No parent wants to see their child as anything but what we believe.” Alex tells Emmett.

 

“Brian, there’s something we wanted to ask.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Justin needs to be part of this too.” Mel tells us.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“We want to have another child.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“We want you to father our next one. Only it will be me.” Mel tells me.

 

“You don’t have to answer now, but maybe talk it over with Justin.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“We will but not now, and until we decide if we want that please give us the time to decide.” I tell them.

 

“Brian, if you want this, I’m fine with it.” Justin tells me.

 

“Justin, what if I want a child that we don’t share with anyone else but us? I just don’t know if I want another child that lives with other people.” I tell him.

 

“If you don’t, we will respect your decision.” Mel tells me.

 

Dan showed up in time to eat something and handed me the orders. “I filed them before I got here.” He tells me.

 

“That was fast.” Mel tells him.

 

“I did it when Brian told me he might need them, at that point it was a given he would.” Dan tells her. “You realize that Michael is no longer living in the real world, he’s doing everything he can to hang on to any part of Brian. Not only will Justin be a problem for him, but Lindsay not giving him what he wants will put a target on her back.” Dan tells us.

 

“But not me?” Mel asks.

 

“You don’t love Brian Kinney the way those two do, in his mind. You’re someone he would think would eventually side with him.” Alex tells her.

 

“Yeah, if you think he’s not bad enough now, wait until he really starts to lose it. Then you’ll see unhinged. Then you call in the favor Ben owes Justin, for bailing his ass out.” Dan tells me.

.

 

DAN

 

I stuck around when everyone took off to get to their jobs. Gus stayed with Justin while he was working with Alex and Grant. It was strange to see Grant serious about anything, but watching him work with Justin to get the program running was like seeing a different side to him.

 

“When it comes to computers, Grant doesn’t play around.” Alex tells me.

 

“He always seems almost childish, then to see him like that, it’s different.” I tell Alex.

 

“Grant likes to see people laugh and smile. He knows there isn’t always good things, so he wants to be the person who keeps people from only seeing bad things.” Alex tells me.

 

“I used to worry about him and Justin. Where you found one, the other was bound to be somewhere close by.” I tell him.

 

“They love each other like brothers, Justin helped Grant understand that his mother not wanting to be a mother didn’t make Grant worthless. Grant made it so Justin had a reason to smile when he had no reason to. Beneath all Grant’s silliness is a man who only wants the people in his world happy.” Alex tells me, walking away.

 

“Why are you here?” Grant asked when he walked into the kitchen.

 

“Just helping Justin and Brian with something.” I tell him.

 

“It must suck to know he’s in love with someone else.” Grant tells me.

 

“Not really, he never needed me the way I wanted him to.” I tell him.

 

“Please, you never got serious with anyone after him, you were still hoping. Why else would you stick around and be there whenever he wants you to be.” He tells me.

 

“The same reason any friend would.” I tell him.

 

“I heard you were interested in Emmett’s assistant. Emmett said you were trying to get with the guy.” He tells me.

 

“He could pass the time, but if I was really interested I wouldn’t have waited for him to call me.” I tell him.

 

“What would you do?” He asks, staring at me.

 

I walked to Grant and looked at him, wanting to feel something. He stared up at me and I felt it for the first time since Justin. “This.” I tell him, kissing him softly. 

 

GRANT

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“I don’t know, you normally make me want to run screaming from a room.” He tells me, leaving.

 

I ran to find Justin, because no way am I wanting Dan, of all people. 

 

“The fucker kissed me, and I liked it. How could I like someone who would want me to change who I am. I can’t, so fuck him.” I tell Justin.

 

“Gus why don’t you go see if Alex has cookies while I explain to Grant what words we use.” Justin tells Gus, who seemed to be interested in all the words I just used.

 

“Do not use those words, I need to live.” I tell a giggling Gus.

 

“So can we start from the beginning? Who kissed you, and why are you afraid to like it?” Justin asks me.

 

“This is so bad, I broke the bro code.” I tell him, looking down and shaking my head.

 

“Brian did not kiss you, so nothing is broken.” Justin tells me.

 

“Please, if Brian kissed me I’d be attempting to kick his ass for doing it. Dan, it was Dan.” I tell him.

 

“Why would Dan be a problem, he’s really a great guy?” Justin asks me.

 

“He was yours at one time.” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t belong to me, we dated and it didn’t work. We both know that we couldn’t be more than friends and it’s fine if you liked it, or if you like him.” Justin tells me.

 

“But I never really have, I mean don’t get me wrong, the kissing was kind of great, but I don’t want to have to be serious all the time the way you were when you were with him.” I tell him.

 

“I had a lot going on in my life and still do. It had nothing to do with how Dan wanted me to be, it was just me at the time. Dan is serious but he has this kid in him that comes out like it does with you. He wouldn’t expect you to change for him, but just be who you are.” He tells me.

 

“What if he never really gets over you?” I ask.

 

“What makes you think he isn’t?” Justin asks.

 

“You call and here he is, just like always.” I tell him.

 

“So are you when I need you. It’s how being friends works for us. Think about the times we called Daphne in the middle of the night to drive our drunk asses home. She just showed up because she wanted us to be safe. Dan is the same way with people he cares about. Hell, even Brian is like that.” He tells me.

 

“How are you managing to stay with Brian, when you couldn’t deal with Dan?” I ask him.

 

“I love Brian in a way that I’ve never loved anyone. Like Dan told me, love makes it easier to overlook something.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t even know if I could love him.” I tell Justin.

 

“Not if you don’t give him a chance. I want Dan to find what I have with Brian. If you find it with Dan, I would be thrilled.” He tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

“I think there is something wrong with me. I mean, he’s always been there, and now I want him.” Dan paces back and forth in front of my desk.

 

“Since it’s obvious this isn’t about Justin, who are we talking about?” I asks.

 

“The whimpering bag of mess.” He tells me.

 

“Grant, interesting, what did my little follower do?” I ask.

 

“Nothing, it was like he went from annoying to interesting when I watched him work. Did you know the guy can be serious? Neither did I, and normally I just want to tape his mouth shut.” He tells me.

 

“So you got a hard on watching Grant work? Sorry, it’s just not something I’ve ever experienced.” I tell him.

 

“It was just, it was like I was really seeing him for the first time.” He tells me.

 

“What do you normally see?” I ask.

 

“Someone who never did anything with his life. I didn’t even know he actually worked until today.” He tells me.

 

“From what Justin and Alex have said, he’s responsible for most of the games doing what they were designed to do. Grant just has a lot of free time because he waits for the finished product then makes them what they become.” I tell him.

 

“I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to date someone who is friends with my last boyfriend.” He tells me.

 

“That would only be a problem if you still loved Justin and were leaving him with what was left of your heart. Then Grant ends up like Ben, trying to make you love him.” I tell him.

 

“Justin is someone I’ll always care for, but I know we weren’t going to work. He’ll always be someone I want in my life, but not become my life.” He tells me.

 

“Then I don’t see what the problem is, unless Grant is just a distraction. If he is, don’t confuse him into thinking you could be what he wants.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, Michael isn’t confused, he’s just certifiable.” He tells me. 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

BRIAN  


“Brian, there's someone here that asked to see you.” Cynthia tells me.


“I'll go, and hope it's just the full moon.” Dan tells me.


“Stay, we can go have lunch.” I tell him.


“It's not a client, at least I don't think so.” Cynthia tells us, I raise a brow. “She a teenager.” Cynthia tells me.


“Oh hell, what is Molly doing here?” Dan asks, looking out my door.


“Do you want me to tell her no?” Cynthia asks.


“Let's see why she's here.” I tell them.


Cynthia went out to lead her in, she scowled when she saw Dan.


“I need to find Justin.” She tells me.


“Why would you think I know?” I ask.


“You were at Justin’s house. Chris found out who you were.” She tells me.


“Which means I'm less likely to help you.” I tell her.


“Justin needs to help my father, it's not right that we suffer because Justin doesn’t care.” She tells me.


“Justin cares too much, when it comes to you.” Dan tells her.


“Right, that’s why he left and never came back, he cares so much that he won’t even answer me anymore.” She tells him, rolling her eyes.


“You want him to answer, then do your brother a favor, don’t give Chris a way to keep tabs on Justin. He doesn’t need to know what the real brother does.” Dan tells her.


“Dan, she’s a kid. She wants to believe that everything Justin did was to ruin her life. She doesn’t see that her father made it impossible for Justin to be there.” I tell him.


“I’m sitting right here and you can talk to me.” She tells me.


“Why would I? you won’t listen to anything that makes what Justin did not about you.” I tell her.


“My parents were fine until he had to live the way he wanted to.” She tells me.


“Justin staying and being straight wouldn’t have stopped where your parents were headed. Molly, if you want something, you fight for it, not find excuses for why it happens. Your brother being gay might have caused them to think they had problems, but it couldn’t make them leave each other. There are things you’ll never know because it wasn’t about you or Justin, but something wrong with them.” I tell her.


“He could at least give my father a chance.” She tells me.


“To do what, what could your father do Molly? He forced Justin to leave by not loving Justin enough to understand that being gay wasn’t a choice, but a part of what makes Justin the man he is. Do you want me to tell you the first thing he said when I asked why he would want someone in his life who seems to make him miserable?” I ask her.


“That he puts up with me.” She tells me.


“That he loves you, even when you can’t love him. Does that sound like he walked away? He is willing to love you even when you treat him like he is’t good enough.” I tell her.


“Then why won’t he talk to me anymore?” She asks.


I shook my head no when Dan looked like he was going to tell her exactly how he feels about the way she treated Justin.


“Do you want me to treat you like an adult or let you live in the child version your head made up?” I ask her. “Before you answer that, what I will tell you won’t make you as innocent as you think you are.” I tell her.


“Brian, I don’t think Justin wants her to know what was happening.” Dan tells me.


“I never did anything wrong.” She tells me.


“Then go home and continue believing that. When you're ready to hear the truth then call me and I’ll have your brother there to tell you.” I tell her.


“No. I want to know.” She tells me.


“Then I have to call Justin.” I tell her.


“Why can’t you tell me?” She asks.


“Like Dan, I’m not a fan of you. I wouldn’t spare your feelings.” I tell her, as I dial my phone. “I have someone here who wants to talk to you.” I tell Justin when he answers. “Molly.”


“Did he say he was busy?” She asks when I hang up.


“No, he told me that he’d be here as fast as he could. I guess you’re right, he doesn’t care.” I tell her.


JUSTIN


Grant wouldn’t let me leave without him. I was worried that Molly skipped school and showed up at Brian’s office. My father would see it as another reason to keep her away from me.


“Justin, I doubt this is going to be any different from all the other times.” Grant tells me before we walk in.


“I don’t expect anything different.” I tell him.


“You know, I hate when she does this to you.” He tells me, ignoring Dan standing outside the office.


“Grant, let Brian be there.” Dan tells him.


“Justin needs me.” He tells Dan.


“He has someone to be there, we don’t have to worry, Brian will be there for him.” Dan tells him.


“Listen to Dan, I can deal with Molly.” I tell him, walking in.


“I want to know why they make it sound like I did something.” She tells me when I walk in.


“Molly, I don’t think you knew what you were doing when you told Chris things about me. I want to believe that, because anything else would kill me.” I tell her.


“Chris isn’t in love with you, he hates you.” She tells me.


“Okay, if you want to believe it, then it’s true.” I tell her.


“You caused Mom to leave.” She tells me.


“Yes.”


“You left me.” She tells me, crying.


“I never left you, I’ll take the blame for anything else, but I never left you. I don’t want to never have a chance to have you in my life someday. Call me an idiot, because I love you Mollusk, no matter how much you hate me.” I tell her.


I watch my little sister dry her tears and stand up to walk out. Maybe one day she’ll stay.


“I don’t hate you.” She tells me, running to me and letting me hold her.


“Then when you call I’ll answer, but you can’t tell Chris things about me.” I tell her.


“Why? I need to know why?” She tells me.


So I sat my sister down and told her. Then let her go to make up her own mind. Brian waited for me and I walked into his arms feeling better then I have before.


“Do you think it will make a difference?” I ask him.


“She listened, that’s more than my sister ever did.” He tells me.


DEB


Carl was waiting in the kitchen when I got home. I knew he hadn’t been happy with Michael or me lately. I sat down across from him, but when I tried to hold his hand, he pulled away.


“You know I love you.” He tells me.


“Yes, and I love you too.” I tell him.


“Then understand this isn’t about us, but me having to do my job.” He tells me getting up and pulling out some papers. “Michael, I need you to come down here.” Carl yells up the stairs.


“What?” Michael asks from the stairs.


“I need you to come downstairs to the kitchen so I can explain some things to you.” He tells Michael.


“I’m busy.” He tells Carl, turning to walk away.


“Get your ass in the kitchen, Michael.” Carl growls.


“Fine, but I have plans tonight, so could you make it quick.” Michael tells him, sitting down.


“The DA isn’t going to pursue your case, and if you persist, he will prosecute you for wasting our time with a false report.” Carl tells him.


“Thank you.” I tell Carl, for not having Michael put in jail for this.


“Don’t thank me, I wanted them to let me lock him up. I don’t like that Michael made a mockery of the law by doing what he did.” He tells me.


“I got beat up, how is that my fault?” Michael sneers.


“Michael leave it alone, because I will happily show you what we do with people that lie to us. The second thing that I need to give you and explain to you, will have you in a cell if you don’t listen to me.” Carl tells him, handing him a piece of paper. “That is an order that you stay away from Brian Kinney and Gus Marcus-Peterson. You can not get within five hundred feet of them.” He tells Michael.


“What the hell? Why are you doing this?” Michael asks, standing up and knocking over his chair.


“Brian wanted this Michael. Going over to Mel and Lindsay’s house, trying to use Gus was the last straw for Brian.” He tells Michael.


“What did you do?” I ask him.


“Nothing, I just suggested that if the girls wanted to have another kid, that I would be willing. I wouldn’t be like Brian and cause problems between them. I also think Gus needs someone who won’t run in and out of his life the way Brian does the back room.” He tells me.


“Do not accuse Brian of not being there for Gus. He loves his son and I won’t let you twist that.” I tell him.


“Since you mentioned the club; you're no longer a member, and won’t be admitted. Kinnetik is also off limits, and even calling on the phone will violate this order. I need you to tell me you understand what I am telling you.” Carl tells him.


“This is bullshit, that little shit is jealous of me. Brian would never want me out of his life.” Michael tells Carl, tearing up the paper as he tries to walk out. “What is that?” Michael asks when Carl pulls out another paper, and blocks Michael from leaving.


“I made copies, so tear at will, it doesn’t make what Brian wanted not true.” He tells Michael.


“No one tells me I can’t talk to Brian.” Michael tells Carl, getting in his face.


“I’m not just telling you, I’m giving you a chance to stay out of jail.” Carl tells him, standing his ground.


“Fuck you and anyone who thinks that they can make me.” Michael tells Carl, shoving him.


“Michael, you are under arrest for assaulting a police officer.” Carl tells Michael, as he grabs Michael’s arms and cuffs them behind his back.


“Ma, tell him he can’t do this.” Michael yells, trying to get away from Carl.


“She can’t stop this Michael.” Carl tell him.


“Ma?” Michael looks at me with the lost little boy look.


I walked over, kissed his cheek and then turned around and went in the kitchen. I didn’t do what I would normally do and try to help him. I listened as Carl called to get someone to pick Michael up and Michael screaming that I would tell them Michael didn’t touch Carl. When the officers came to get Michael I nodded my head when they asked if I witnessed my son assault Carl, then let Carl do his job.


“Red, he needs help, more than you can give him.” Carl tells me before leaving.


I pulled out the phone number that Ben’s attorney gave me at the diner this morning.


“Dan, how do I get him help?” I ask him.


“Trust me to do it for you.” He tells me.

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin and I were looking at the house the realtor, Janice, though was perfect for us. It wasn’t. Janice kept treating Justin like the little woman. Which seemed to amuse him, but was getting us nowhere.


“It's a wonderful neighborhood, all the couples that buy here see it as a wonderful place to raise a family.” She tells us.


“Oh Brian, couldn’t you just see us pushing a stroller?” Justin asks me, giggling.


“Are you thinking about adopting a child?” She asks.


I shook her hand and got Justin away before he fell over laughing.


“How did I become the little woman? Maybe it's because you're so tall.” He tells me, hiccupping.


It was different to see him carefree. After Molly showed up, it was like one less thing weighing him down. I drove out of WASP central, back to his house.


My phone rang and Justin looked at the screen then handed it to me smiling.


“Dan, having problems cornering Grant?” I ask.


“I wish that was the only problem I needed to solve. Deb called me last night, Michael didn’t take the restraining order well.” He tells me.


“Is Deb okay?” I ask him.


“She didn’t stop Carl from taking Michael in. I need to talk to her about a way to get Michael treatment. I was hoping you could help me talk to her.” He tells me.


“Do you really think Ben will help us?” I ask him.


“If he doesn’t, than we have to hope Deb is enough.” He tells me.


“We can go to my office.” I tell him.


“No, I think it would be better to go to mine. It will make sure she see this isn’t a cozy meeting.” He tells me, hanging up.


“Dan wants to meet with Deb.” I tell him.


“I don’t feel like talking about Michael, drop me off at Lindsay’s. Gus and I can go do something.” He tells me.


“I don’t have to do this.” I tell him.


“Yes you do, she might have problems believing Michael has problems, but she’s trying.” He tells me.


“It doesn’t mean I need to be the one to help her.” I tell him.


“At least see if you think she’s really opening her eyes.” He tells me.


I went in with Justin to see Gus. Gus was ready to go when we arrived, Lindsay and Justin decided to take him to the park.


“Want me to come with you?” Mel asks me.


“It might help Deb to see what Michael did if she hears it from you.” I tell her.


“Brian about the baby thing. I don’t expect you to say yes. I just wanted to offer, if you wanted our next child related to Gus.” She tells me.


“If I have another child, I want to be the person raising my child. What we have with Gus isn’t how I see being a father again. When you two wanted Gus, I never thought I would want a life that included children. It’s not easy having to return Gus to you, but I do it because you both kept your promise to love him.” I tell her.


“We always will.” She tells me.


Deb looked like she hadn’t slept all night, when she saw me she got up and hugged me.


“I’m sorry for asking you to help him. I just didn’t want to believe he was like this.” She tells me.


“I spoke to Ben and we have a problem.” Dan tells us.


“Michael is still in jail, Carl told me he could keep him there till tomorrow.” Deb tells him.


“Which is fine, but Brian is there some reason you're still Michael’s POA?” Dan asks.


“He never changed it?” Mel asks.


“I never asked, I thought when he married Ben they would have done that.” I tell them.


“Who’s yours?” Dan asks.


“Shit, I never thought about it, but it’s still Michael.” I tell them.


“What we were hoping is that Ben could declare him a danger to himself and others. It’s the only way to get him forced into treatment. The problem we have is, with Brian having a restraining order, Michael can refuse treatment.” He tells us.


“The other problem is convincing a judge that Michael is mentally ill. Dan, Michael isn’t showing signs of not understanding his actions. He understands what he’s doing, and planning it.” Mel tells him.


“Can I have him forced to see a doctor?” Deb asks.


“Michael is an adult, so unless he appoints another POA, it would be hard for you to force him into treatment. Right now Michael is the only person who can voluntarily seek help.” Dan tells us.


“Which he won’t, because he doesn’t see anything wrong with what he’s doing.” Mel tells us.


JUSTIN


“Gus loves spending time with you.” Lindsay tells me.


“He is so easy to love, I always hoped to have kids one day.” I tell her.


“But not the way Brian did with us?” She asks.


“If Brian wanted it, I wouldn’t stand in his way.” I tell her.


“This would be your decision too.” She tells me.


“For me it would be hard not to be able to see my child all the time. I’m not ready to be a father yet, but when I am I want my child to live with me.” I tell her.


“I don’t think Brian wants to do this again.” She tells me.


“Have kids?”


“Justin, when he asked you if you would want children only with him, he was telling you what he wanted.” She tells me.


“So you already knew the answer.” I tell her.


“I just didn’t want him to think we regretted the way we did it the first time. We don’t, but like you, Mel and I want a child without having to share it. We only wanted to make sure Brian had the option.” She tells me.


“Gus is special and you know that Brian would be there if you needed him to help.” I tell her.


“Just like if you and Brian decide to have one of your own, Mel and I would be the best aunts we could be.” She tells me.


Brian called to let us know they were on their way back. Lindsay cleaned Gus up and we walked back to the house. Lindsay pulled out her keys to unlock the door, but couldn’t find the key to her door. Mel and Brian pulled up and we turned to watch Gus run to Brian.


“Why don’t Brian and I take Gus? I think Brian was going to ask anyway. Alex and I finished the work on the game and he wanted to let Gus play it.” I tell her.


“That would work, our friends wanted to go to dinner tonight and I know Gus would rather play then sit with the adults tonight.” Lindsay tells me.


Mel went into the house and got a bag for Gus, while Lindsay talked to Brian about picking up Gus in the morning. I put Gus in the car while I called to let Alex know that we were coming with Gus.


BRIAN

When we got to Alex’s house, Gus and Justin took off to start the game. Alex stopped me and asked if he could talk to me.


“I am not the expert on relationships, all of you need to figure it out on your own.” I tell him.


“I’m perfectly capable of managing my own life. I wanted to see if you and Justin found a house yet?” He asks.


“We only saw one but we’re still looking.” I tell him.


“I have a few houses that I bought to flip, if you want to look at them, you can.” He tells me.


“We want to buy our house.” I tell him.


“I wouldn’t be giving it to you, I know enough to know you and Justin wouldn’t want something given to you. But I won’t take more than I paid for the one you choose.” He tells me.


“Why do I get the feeling you already have a house in mind?” I ask.


“Justin fell in love with it when we toured it. He just never saw the reason he would need a house the size of this one.” He tells me, handing me the picture.



“Where is it?” I ask.


“Three blocks from here. Take the keys and go see it.” He tells me, handing me the keys and address.


“Don’t tell Justin anything, yet.” I tell him.


JUSTIN


While Gus was playing, Grant came in, slumping on the couch. I sat next to him, worried when he seem to be mute.


“It can’t be this bad.” I tell him.


“I just don’t know what to do with him.” He tells me.


“Grant, I thought I explained all about gay sex to you years ago.” I tell him, smirking.


“It’s not that, I mean, not that he seems to be trying very hard.” He tells me.


“When we started dating, we didn’t do anything for the first few months.” I tell him.


“How did you not want to rip his clothes off? I mean you and Brian were at it before you knew each other’s names.” He tells me.


“Dan’s all about wanting to know you before you get to the good stuff.” I tell him.


“Then what about all the guys we always saw him with?” He asks me.


“They were tricks, not relationships.” I tell him.


“I could deal with being a trick.” He tells me.


“Grant, you never understood tricking. You always give them your name and number. Then it’s you apologizing for thinking they could be a friend, and them thinking you would hook up again.” I tell him.


“I only had to change phone numbers a few times.” He argues.


“Do you really call it a few, I think my phone still has all your old numbers listed.” I tell him holding it out to him.


“He’s been calling, I haven’t answered.” He tells me.


“If you don’t feel anything, than just tell him. Don’t make him waste his time. I’m sure Emmett can bring Renny around to help Dan get over you.” I tell him.


“What? I thought you loved me. How could you even think of setting him up with someone else?” He asks, appalled. “Brian can you believe my friend would do this to me? It’s not going to happen.” He tells Brian, running out of the room.


“Do I want to know?” Brian asks.


“Dan’s getting laid.” I tell him.


“I’m sure he’ll thank you later.” He tells me.


“You okay?” I ask.


“Feel like taking Gus for a ride?” He asks me.


“Daddy, I’m playing.” Gus tells him when Brian asks.


“He can stay, I’ll keep him company. Is it what you wanted?” Alex asks Brian.


“Yes, but let Justin decide.” He tells Alex.


“Decide what?” I ask.


Brian didn’t say, just took me to the car and drove. When he pulled up to the house I loved when Alex bought it, we sat in front of it in the car.


“If you don’t want it, we can keep looking.” Brian tells me.


“I can’t let Alex give it to us.” I tell him.


“He’s not, he’s selling it to us, but he won’t take more than he paid for it.” Brian tells me.


“Can we afford this? I have savings, and when the game comes out, I get royalties.” I tell him.


“Justin, if we are going to be together, then you accept that we can afford this without you raiding your savings.” He tells me.


“Then you accept that it’s ours.” I tell him.


“Marry me, someday?” He asks.


“Someday.” I tell him.




Chapter 24 by starlight

LINDSAY


After dinner with Dusty, Mel and I decided we really wanted to have a child that didn’t include the father. We both saw how hard it would be on Gus later if Brian and Justin had children who lived with them, and didn’t want to have it happen to our next child. So the sperm bank was where we would be headed this time. Mel was excited and dancing around when she opened our front door. We ran up the stairs after each other, laughing the way we did when it was the two of us. It wasn’t until the next morning that we discovered the mess. Gus called and woke us up, telling me about the house Brian and Justin were buying. It sounded like a castle the way Gus went on and on. It made me happy to hear that Brian was ready to really settle down, so when I screamed in horror, Gus thought I was upset and Brian grabbed the phone.


“Lindsay what the hell? You scared Gus.” Brian tells me.


“Brian, I have to call the police.” I tell him.


“What happened?” He ask.


“What the hell happened?” Mel asks, looking at the cut up furniture and everything thrown everywhere.


“Brian, someone destroyed our house.” I tell him shaking.


“Justin and I will be there as fast as we can.” He tell me.


“Gus can’t see this.” I tell him.


“I’ll get Ted to keep him.” Brian tells me.


Mel called the police and we sat on the steps waiting for them to arrive. The officers did a walk through while we were asked to tell the detective what we knew. One of the officers called the detective to the kitchen and told us to stay where we were. Brian came in as the detective came back and told us that he needed to question us about what they found in the kitchen.


“We haven’t been in the kitchen, is it any worse than the living room?” Mel asked.


“I think the person who did this found what they were looking for.” He tells us, looking angry at us.


“What, my frying pan?” Mel ask sarcastically.


“No, most likely the drugs you were hiding.” He tells us.


“What are you talking about?” Mel asks.


“The pharmacy in your pantry.” He tells her.


“It’s called flour.” Mel tells him, getting pissed.


“Call it whatever you want, I call it harboring illegal drugs. You both can explain it when I take you in.” He tells her.


“This is bullshit.” Mel tells him, as he tries to handcuff her.


“Mel, I’m going to call Dan and Carl. Just do what they want.” Brian tells her when we can see she was about to blow.


“Ma’am, are we going to have a problem?” The officer asked me.


“No.” I told him, trying to hold it together when they handcuffed me.


“Brian, Gus.” Mel tells him.


“Will be fine, I’ll take him to Alex.” Justin tells her, hugging her before they took her and I out.


BRIAN


Dan came into the police station and found Justin and I talking to Carl.


“Why would they call the police if there was anything in the house?” Justin asks Carl.


“Justin, we have to investigate it. I don’t believe for a second that the drugs belong to them, but they can’t take my word for it.” He tells Justin.


“Carl, what are they being charged with?” Dan asks.


“Possession, there isn’t a pharmacy the way Detective Fredrick’s made it sound.” Carl tells him.


“Have they been questioned?” Dan asks.


“No, Mel said she wouldn’t talk till you got here.” I tell him.


“They want to call child services, for Gus.” Carl tells us.


“I have custody if anything happens to Mel or Lindsay.” I tell him.


“At least it’s one less thing for them to worry about.” Carl tells us.


“Carl, you know they wouldn’t do something like this.” I tell him.


“Brian, there is nothing Carl could do without making it worse. Let me talk to them, you go stay with Gus.” Dan tells me.


“Dan, I just remembered something, Lindsay couldn’t find her house key yesterday.” Justin tells him.


“She couldn’t?” I ask.


“When we got back to the house she was looking for it, but when you and Mel pulled up, we were all talking and I’m sure Mel opened the door.” He tells Dan.


“And Michael had the key that Lindsay kept for my loft. He told me he took it from Lindsay. Lindsay wouldn’t have handed him the key so it’s likely he stole her whole keyring.” I tell Dan.


“Only one problem, Michael is still here.” Carl tells us.


“Justin, it’s time to tell Carl how Michael managed to get away with harassing you.” Dan tells him.


Carl took Justin and me to his office, while Dan went to see Mel and Lindsay. Justin explained what Michael and Chris did to him.


“Justin, no one should get away with doing those kind of things.” Carl tell him.


“I had a hard time getting anyone to believe me. The school acted like I was doing it for attention and I couldn’t prove anything.” He tells Carl.


“If you had reported it, the school would have been forced to listen to me.” He tells Justin.


“I didn’t know you at the time. Dan at least got the school to pay attention and it stopped. It’s just this is the kind of stuff I could see them trying to do.” Justin tells Carl.


“Michael hasn’t had any visitors since he’s been here.” Carl tells us.


“Did he call anyone?” Justin asks him.


“I can check.” Carl tells us.


We waited for Carl to see what he could find out. He came back looking as if he didn’t want to tell us what he found out.


“Justin, the number he called belongs to a Craig Taylor.” He tells us.


“Trust me, my father wouldn’t help Michael if Michael called him.” Justin tells him.


“This is the number we have.” Carl tells him showing him.


“Fuck, she wouldn’t have done this. Brian, Molly wouldn’t have.” Justin tells me.


“I hope not, because this isn’t a game when it affects Gus.” I tell Justin.


Dan came out about an hour later. He was on the phone when he came out.


“I can have them out on bail. I called in a favor to make it happen. Brian, for now Gus can’t be with them if you don’t want to have problems. Mel and Lindsay agreed to do drug testing to at least prove they didn’t use the drugs that were found. We need to find out if anyone saw someone going into the house while they were gone. What?” He asks when he looks at Justin.


“Michael called Molly’s phone.” Justin tells Dan.


“So he found a way to call Chris.” Dan tells us.


“How do we prove that? Michael can say he talked to Molly. There is no way to prove he didn’t.” Carl tells him.


“Then ask Michael, when he says Molly, then we let Molly see what helping Chris does.” Justin tells us.


“Justin, just be prepared if Molly ends up trying to protect Chris.” Dan tells him.


MOLLY


The school called me to the office where my Dad, Dan, and another man were waiting.


“Molly, they want to know why someone called you from the police station.” My Dad told me.


“No one called me, I mean some guy called, but he just said to tell Chris to get his keys for him.” I tell him, confused.


“Why would someone call your phone for Chris?” Dad asks.


“I don’t know, the guy used to call all the time, but hadn't since you told Chris he needed to leave Justin alone.” She tells him.


“Do you know the guy’s name?” Dan asks.


“Michael, that's all. Why?” I ask.


“Molly, you know the things Justin told you.” Dan tells me.


“They didn’t hurt Justin, please tell me they didn’t. Chris promised it wasn’t about Justin.” I tell them, scared.


“Molly, what is going on?” Dad asks.


“What's going on is, your stepson can't seem to get over wanting Justin and has now involved your daughter in his crimes. Molly, you need to understand that if Justin wants to he can still report what was happening to him. I made sure we kept all the evidence.” Dan tells us.


“I didn’t do anything.” I tell him.


“Helping them find Justin makes you just as guilty.” He tells me.


“I'd like you to leave, you can speak to my attorney.” Dad tells them.


“Before I go, Molly it's time to be the adult you wanted to be in Brian’s office.” Dan tells me.


“I heard Chris telling Michael he'd destroy the house and put something in the kitchen. That's all I know.” I tell him, even with my Dad trying to stop me.


“Thank you.” Dan tells me.


DAN


Michael just doesn’t know when to just give up. I watched as Deb sat across from him, begging him to tell the truth. Carl finally went in and got her when Michael told her he no longer wanted to see her.


Craig was sitting and waiting as they had Chris and Molly in for questioning. I think Craig got a clue when Chris came unglued seeing Brian and Justin together.


“Get your fucking hands off him.” Chris screamed.


“Chris, it's not time to worry about the faggots.” Craig tells him, which had his attorney cringing.


“I don’t want anyone touching Justin.” Chris gritted through his teeth.


“Brian doesn’t either.” I tell him.


“I'll make him sorry for taking Justin from me.” He tells us.


Craig almost fell over at that point, it really made my day to see the asshole realize he traded one gay son for another.


“Justin, I didn’t know.” Craig tells him.


“Even if you did, I doubt you would have cared. Deal with your family, I have my own.” Justin tells him.


“You're with him?” Craig asks, looking disappointed.


“It's none of you business, you lost the right to know when you told me I wasn’t your son.” Justin tells him, going into Carl's office.


“Make sure Molly doesn’t suffer for the family you choose over Justin.” Brian tells him, following Justin.


Two hours later, Mel and Lindsay were released, and Craig was finding out that the trade off wasn't the game winner he believed.









Chapter 25 by starlight

JUSTIN


This entire week was one that everyone was ready to leave behind. Ben ended up losing his job because the school wasn’t thrilled that he endangered a student. Brian seemed to think I was going to try and help Ben keep his job, but truthfully I couldn’t see letting him do what he did to me, to someone else. To me, Ben wasn't innocent when it came to what happened, and I couldn't see helping him out of something he caused.


Mel and Lindsay were cleared of all charges after Chris’s prints were found in the house and on the drugs. Chris destroyed more than the house, he destroyed the safety Mel and Lindsay felt in their home. They both decided it was time to look for a new house.


Michael was finding out that Chris wasn’t going to sink on his ship alone. I really enjoyed the way Chris tried to say that it was my fault for making him think that I wanted him.


Michael thought he couldn’t be blamed since he was in jail. Dan let him know that since he stole the key that Chris used, it was as good as being the one who broke into the girls’ house. Carl, with my permission, sat Deb down and showed her the file Dan kept on what was happening to me. It wasn’t easy making her see that Michael wasn’t the sweet boy she believed. Carl wanted her to realize that she couldn't save Michael or expect anyone else to.


I hated that I had to let Molly be included in all of it, but she needed to learn that there were consequences for her actions. Until it all went to court, the DA agreed that Molly would be better off with community service.


With everything mostly settled, I thought ,why not get coffee again. Lindsay came along, laughing at me when I kept checking to see if anyone I didn’t want to talk to would show up. We were walking out of the coffee shop without a run in, when Lindsay cursed. I looked at the people she was looking at.


“Who are they?” I ask her.


“My parents and sister, you know how your father feels. They do to, only they hide it behind smiles and backhanded remarks.” She tells me.


“My father never learned the art of WASP.” I tell her.


“Maybe we could introduce him to the master, my mother.” Lindsay tells me, pasting on a fake smile when her mother walks over.


LINDSAY


“You won't believe it, but Lynette is finally giving us a grandchild.” Mom tells me.


“Larry finally convinced her to ruin her perfect figure?” I ask.


“Lindsay, I think you mean Lewis.” She corrects me.


“Who's Lewis? I remember Steven, Brad, and Larry. Sorry it's just hard to remember who she marries, it changes so often.” I tell her, smiling the whole way.


“Sorry, I guess I forgot that we didn't invite you to Paris when she married Lewis.” She tells me, scoring one.


“I'm sure it was no different than the last three weddings. I can just have Justin change the groom in one of those pictures. It’ll be like I was there.” I tell her.


“Oh, is this someone I should know?” She glances at Justin.


“Look at my manners, Justin this is my mother, Nancy. Mother this is Justin Taylor, we work together.” I tell her.


“You're a teacher too?” She asks him.


“No, I own a graphic design business.” He tells her.


“I thought you were still teaching?” She asks.


“I quit to raise Gus. Justin hired me to work for him when I decided to go back to work.” I tell her.


“Lynette is so lucky, Lewis can afford for her to stay home.” She tells me.


“Which would make sense since she's never held down a job. I'm sure the nanny will love having Lynette tell her how she wants the baby raised.” I tell her, grabbing Justin and leaving.


“Are you alright?” Justin asks.


“I stopped trying to get them to accept me. I can’t be someone I'm not.” I tell him.


“How many husbands has she had?” He asks.


“I don’t remember, I'm not even sure I got the names right.” I tell him, laughing at how ridiculous my parents are for being proud of my sister.


“I just realized I got coffee without having something happen to me.” He tells me smiling.


“I’m so happy that my pain saved you.” I tell him, laughing harder.


“Justin, is that you?” A woman asks.


“Damn it, yes Mother, it’s me.” He tells her.


BRIAN


Lindsay and I sat watching Justin pace back and forth in my office. I waited for him to say something but it was like he just wanted us to sit and watch him.


“What caused this?” I whisper to Lindsay.


“Coffee.” Lindsay tells me.


“I’m buying him a machine, nothing is worth the trouble he seems to find at that coffee shop.” I tell her.


“I’ll help pay for it, since he’s passed the curse on to me. We ran into my family first.” She tells me.


“What’s with the pacing?” Ted asks sitting down.


“Coffee.” Lindsay tells him.


“Did he drink a whole pot?” Ted asks, as Justin was silently arguing with himself.


“No, apparently every time we go out for coffee, bad things happen to him.” Daphne tells us, sitting on the arm of my chair.


“What bad thing happened this time?” Ted asks.


“He found out his mother was moving back here.” Lindsay tells us.


“Lovely, I’m sure she’ll just love you Brian.” Daphne tells me.


“I’m lovable, just ask Justin.” I tell her.


“Why is she even here?” Justin asks the air then paces again.


“Don’t answer, he will.” I tell them.


“You know why, because for once everything was going great and I was going to tell you that waiting to get married was stupid since the only thing missing is the rings on our fingers.” Justin rants.


“Did he just…?” Ted asks.


“Yes Ted, which means all of you, out.” I tell them.


They all left so I could calm Justin down. Justin didn’t seem to realize what he was saying. Not that I wanted to stop him. I just stopped him from pacing and sat him down.


“Justin I want us to get married, but not because you're pissed that your mother showed up.” I tell him.


“What? That’s not why.” He tells me.


“Than what made you ready for it?” I ask him.


“Why fight being married when you’re the only person I could ever want to be with the rest of my life?” He asks me.


“Then we decided when, and how.” I tell him.


“Can't we just get married without it being a big production?” He asks.

“I’m fine with us just getting married the way we want to, but I don’t want you one day thinking we should have done more than sign papers.” I tell him.


“I don’t want to do it for anyone but us. It’s just, for once we don’t have to consider everyone else in our decisions. The only people who should be happy with our wedding is us. I don’t even see why anyone needs to be involved in it.” He tells me.


“Justin are you sure this isn’t because your mother is here?” I ask him.


“Her being here really doesn’t affect my life. She stopped being a part of it when she left. The only time she calls is when she’s upset that Molly won’t talk to her. I have a feeling she’s here because of  what happened. She wants Molly to live with her and this just proves how little my father was paying attention to her. If she knew we were getting married she want us to have a wedding that included people that aren’t part of my life.” He tells me.


“I want Gus to be there, and I’m sure Alex would like to be there.” I tell him.


“Daphne and Grant would kill me.” He tells me.


“Lindsay would be heartbroken and Mel would need to see it to believe it. Are you really ready to face the wrath of Emmett if you don’t let him help?” I tell him, when I can see he knows there are people we need to include. “Cynthia would kick my ass and most likely call in sick if we didn’t invite her. I want Blake to stand up for me.” I tell him.


“It’s going to be more than a small wedding, if you keep coming up with people to be there.” He tells me.


“I’ve never been one to be impressed with small, nine or larger was my motto.” I tell him.


“Well Princess, have fun planning. Let me know where to stand and when to say I do, and I will.” He tells me, trying to get away.


“It would probably be better if I planned it, you’d probably end up ordering the wrong food, flowers and well I think dinner should be something other than pizza or eggs on toast.” I tell him.


“It’s not going to work, I’m not the one who wants the wedding of his dreams, you are.” He tells me smiling.


“I plan million dollar campaigns, a wedding will be a breeze.” I tell him.


“I’m sure all bridezilla’s think that too.” He tells me, leaving.












 

Chapter 26 by starlight

BRIAN


THE FLOWERS WILL DO AS I COMMAND


“I am not a bridezilla, I just want things the way I want them, which none of you understand.”


“Sound familiar Brian?” Emmett says, stopping the YouTube video.


“I said white for the flowers, not cream or off white.” I tell him.


“I know it’s hard to believe, but the flowers don’t really care that you want them perfectly white. Another thing, isn’t it a bit ridiculous that you want me to fly to China and escort two potted plants here? I checked, they grow here, so I don’t need to go there.” He tells me.


“The ones that he looked up were from there, so go get them.” I tell him.


“He was kidding, it was all to because you kept insisting that anything he wanted, he could have.” Emmett tells me.


“I want them then, so off you go.” I tell him, trying to get him out of the house.


“Like you would know the difference no matter where I got them.” He tells me, flouncing off.


“I’ll know and then I’ll make sure you know.” I tell him, slamming the door.


“Brian, why are you acting crazy?” Dan asks, pulling out chips and dip.


“The flowers were pink, not cream or off-white.” I tell him.


“Brian, it looks white, not pink.” Dan says, looking at the flowers.


“Hey, why are there pink flowers?” Justin asks.


IT'S JUST NOT STYLE IF ARMANI DOESN’T MAKE THEM


“Brian, it's not like we had to come here to get a suit.” Justin tells me.


“I'm only ever marrying once, so the pictures have to be perfect.” I tell him.


“You realize that Gus isn’t going to wear that more than once.” Mel says, looking at the price tag.


“Why did I bring you again?” I ask her.


“Because Lindsay hid Gus’s passport until you agreed to let us come to Italy.” Mel tells me.


I WON’T EAT BAMBI OR THUMPER


“It's lean, versus the nightmare of sugar in the cake.” I tell Justin.


“Fine, you tell Gus you killed his favorite characters.” He tells me.


“Shit, just give us veal.” I tell the caterer.


“Baby cow, are you insane.” Grant tells me, horrified.


“Seafood?” the caterer suggests again.


“I bet eggs on toast doesn’t sound as bad now.” Dan tells me.


“Chicken of the sea, it is.” I tell them, giving up.


I guess you could say I went a little overboard in the planning.


JUSTIN


I have to say, he was committed to turning this into a wedding to end all weddings. Alex offered to pay us to elope when Emmett quit the third time. It took two months to get this thing planned, which means Ted won the bet.


Tonight we were all celebrating the end of bridezilla. Apparently as far as Brian was concerned nothing could go wrong tomorrow. So tonight we dance and pray it doesn’t rain like the weatherman forecasted. Brian was standing at the bar checking to see that the bartender was ready with everything he wanted at the wedding. Lindsay and I were dancing with Gus, when Deb came over to see us. She’d been absent during all the planning and I think part of it was that she always thought that Michael would be standing beside Brian when Brian got married. She was really saddened when she found out that Blake was going to stand beside Brian and it was the last time she came to anything involving the wedding.


“Be happy with him.” She tells me.


“He wants you there.” I tell her.


“I feel like I let him down so much. Tomorrow shouldn’t be about the past but the future you two are building.” She tells me.


“Deb, why would having the only mother Brian’s known being at his wedding be a bad thing?” Lindsay asks her.


“He didn’t really ask me to be there.” She tells us.


BRIAN


I walked up behind Deb to hear what she was saying. I realized in everything I planned, I forgot about who I was going to ask to give me to Justin.


“I wanted you to walk with me to my doom.” I tell her.


“Right, the fact that you planned your doom, just makes it sound more like your happy ending.” Deb tells me.


“Which I would like my Mom to be there for, and to do what mothers do. You can start now by telling Justin he doesn’t deserve someone as wonderful as he getting.” I tell her.


“We all keep trying to figure out if Justin knows what he’s getting into.” She tells me, laughing.


“So are we clear that my mother needs to be there for me?” I ask her.


“I’ll be the one wearing the biggest smile.” She tells me kissing my cheek.


“Good, now go get Carl drunk and show him the many wonders that are Babylon. You know every one of them, since you used to run through the back room looking for me.” I joke.


“At least I’ll get to say hi to Todd.” She tells me, walking to Carl.


“Does Todd actually leave here?” Ted asks, handing Lindsay a drink.


“Um, who’s Todd?” Justin asks, as the other guys look disappointed in me.


GRANT


“You know, if you want him, standing on the other side of the room from him isn't going to work.” Brian tells me.


“Like it matters, when all those guys seem to be fighting for his attention. I will not be one of the many, his head is swelled enough. Plus, if he really wanted me, then you know I think sex would be kind of important, but he wants to get to know me. He’s known me for years and now he acts like I’m some hot house flower he has to be careful with. Sorry, but I want to know what I’m getting, and so far it’s been pats on the ass and a kiss on the head. Where the hell is all the sex?” I rant at Brian.


“I think I liked you better mute.” He tells me.


“I’m so over you. Um well, I, it’s just, don’t do that.” I tell him when Brian gives me the look that most likely had guys on their knees. I stared over his shoulder. “I want hot and he’s giving me sweet and lukewarm.” I tell him.


“Then hot it is.” Dan tells me, dragging me with him out the door.


“It would have been hotter if you like threw me over your shoulder.” I commented.


JUSTIN


I was dressed, standing next to Grant, who really didn’t need to give me details. Brian was running late, thanks to Gus. Which I’m sure made Mr Control Freak’s day. The weather was holding, so everything was set up outside for the ceremony. Emmett was putting the gardenia’s next to the stage steps when Brian finally appeared with Deb. They walked to where I was standing in front of the steps. Deb kissed both of us and sat down next to Carl. Blake and Daphne stood beside us as the Notary spoke the words that would marry us.


“Justin, from the first day, you never left my thoughts. I ended up pouring my heart out to a friend who wanted to know why I was fighting the idea of loving someone. It wasn’t loving you, it was knowing that if I wanted us that I had to give everything to you. Today I give you all of me.” Brian tells me.


“Brian, when it took you a week to call, I honestly didn’t see us together. Which was my mistake, because since the first day of our second meeting, you proved to me that you wanted us. I promise to always listen, to not just your words, but your actions, because they all say to me that you love me.” I tell him.


“Jussin, I got you a flower.” Gus shouts, when the question of anyone objecting came up.


“Gus, where are your pants?” Lindsay laughs, running after him.


“Justin, do you take Brian to be your husband?”


“I do.”


“Brian, do you take Justin to be your husband?”


“I do.”


“Me too, I get to say it don’t I?” Gus in pants asks, squeezing between us.


“Of course Sonny Boy.” Brian says picking him up.


“My dad is marrying my daddy.” Gus informs her.


“Yes he is, I now pronounce them married.” She tells us.


“I get kisses too right?” Gus asks us.


I kissed my husband then my son, and turned to walk down the aisle as Justin Taylor-Kinney.







Chapter 27 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin and I were going to spend the night at the loft, before flying back to Orlando to go on the cruise we decided on. I had Blake and Emmett open up the loft since we hadn’t been here since Justin and I moved into the house. When we got in the building, we were too busy with each other to care if anyone was there to see us undressing as we ran up the stairs. I think my upstairs neighbor finally got her wish when Justin stopped on the stairs and started trying to blow me. She gave Justin a thumbs up as I dragged him and my pants up.


“I wouldn’t mind if you wanted to finish.” She tells Justin.


“He’s shy.” Justin tells her, giggling with her.


I opened the door and left him to decide if giggling with the neighbor or seeing the rest of me was more important to him. Apparently the idea of me naked had him running in and closing the door. Justin looked at the candles and the champagne, grabbed the bottle and ran into the shower. I followed, looking around, but really Justin wet and naked really made this less interesting. I walked into the bathroom and stood and looked at my husband. The water running down his back and over the ass that had every man’s eyes, had me opening the door. Justin turned around and I captured his lips as my hands grabbed his ass and pulled him so that we were grinding against each other. I let my fingers tease around his entrance and open him for me. I felt Justin’s hands massage my ass and his fingers copy what I was doing to him, as he continued to rub his cock with mine. When the water washed away all the soap Justin had applied to us, he knelt down and took me into his mouth and pushed his fingers into me. He found the nerve bundles with his fingers and started sucking harder which had me trying not to cum from all the sensations he was offering. I tried to get him to slow down but he was determined to get me to cum in his mouth. His fingers moved faster as he tightened his lips and I couldn’t hold back from giving him what he wanted. I watched his throat as he swallowed every drop, then release me getting up to let me taste what was left in his mouth.


Instead of turning him, I turned and braced my hands on the wall, spreading my legs. Justin ran his hand down my back and around my hips until he still hand stroked my still hard cock.


“I still want this.” He told me, squeezing my cock as he pushed into me.


“I need this.” I groan as he thrust all the way in.


“You always need this.” He tells me pulling out and thrusting back.


Justin didn’t need to be told when to move faster, but I couldn’t help screaming it. He held me still as he thrust even faster, groaning when he came laying on my back. We cleaned up and I pushed him onto the bed, lifting his knees to expose the hungry bud. Grabbing the lube, I applied it both to him and me before entering him. Justin’s head fell back as he moved to get more of my cock. I got halfway into him and pulled out, thrusting in again half way before pulling out again.


“Fuck me, stop playing.” He demanded.


Pulling out again I held him still as I slammed into him and heard him cry out for more. I kept my rhythm slow and Justin decided to take matters into his own hands by crossing his legs behind me and flipping me to my back. He sat over me and began to ride me hard and fast. He rubbed his hands up my chest then back down, until he reached his cock and stroked in time with my upward thrust. Watching the pleasure on his face was all it took for me to cum again, and when I did, Justin released onto my chest and his hand.


“I loved the candles and champagne.” Justin tells me as we sit naked on the floor in the living room.


“You barely looked at it.” I tell him grabbing the bottle.


“Brian, when you're naked, nothing else matters.” He tells me.


“You're forgiven.” I tell him pushing him on the pillows.


“So now that you’ve forgiven me, what will you do with me.” He asks.


“Everything.” I tell him.


JUSTIN


Thanks to Daphne and Grant we made it on the flight to the cruise. Brian and I barely made it out of the cabin on the cruise. By the time we were getting ready to go back to Pittsburgh, I managed to take a few pictures that people could see. It only took reminding Brian that Gus would want to see them to get him dressed and grabbing his camera. Hopefully the very few pictures of beaches and dolphins would be enough to not have to explain that what we were doing the whole cruise was nothing Gus ever needed to see. Alex met us and drove me home, because Brian needed to check on Kinnetik and get Gus. Dan was standing in front of our house arguing with Grant.


“Grant still giving him a hard time?” I ask Alex.


“Actually Dan doesn’t feel the need to live together when they’ve only just started dating.” Alex tells us.


“We are talking about the same Grant who hates sharing his space right?” I ask.


“It’s my fault, apparently he’s getting tired of walking in on Emmett and I.” Alex tells me.


“How’s that going for you?” I ask him.


“Do you really want to know any more than Grant does?” Alex asks.


“No, I really don’t.” I tell him, laughing.


“Justin, I don’t want to upset you, but your mother has been calling. I had to tell her that you were on your honeymoon.” He tells me.


“Let me guess, she cried that she wasn’t included.” I tell him.


“She doesn’t understand that she can’t expect to be a part of your life only when it’s convenient for her.” He tells me.


“I’ll talk to her and tell her to leave you alone.” I tell him.


“I can handle the tears, I just wanted you to know that she wants to see you.” He tells me.


“I just need to get this over with, once she feels like she’s played dutiful mom then she’ll be fine.” I tell him.


BRIAN


I drove to Kinnetik and found Leo Brown talking to Cynthia, who looked relieved to see me.


“Brian, Leo wanted to talk about the athletics campaign.” Cynthia tells me.


“I assume we got the contracts for all the athletes signed. You already agreed to the direction we were heading, was there something we missed?” I ask him.


“I want to use Drew Boyd again. I don’t want my company to be considered homophobic.” He tells me.


“I haven’t seen Drew since he was traded. I can call his agent to see if he’d be interested, but Leo, he’s not going to make this easy when you threw him out of the first campaign.” I tell him.


“If he isn’t, find someone who will, I won’t be one of the businesses that get boycotted.” He tells me before leaving.


“Boycotted?” I ask.


“Oh, maybe talk to Justin’s father figure on that one.” Cynthia tells me.


“Ted, do you know what’s going on?” I ask as he walks up.


“It got around that Alex and his friends were pulling products from companies that promote discrimination. Groups started boycotting businesses that are supporting it, Leo’s company got a write up about how he felt Drew was no longer marketable because he came out.” Ted tells me.


“I need to you to call his agent and see if we can get Drew back here.” I tell him.


“I’ll do that, but you get to tell Emmett.” He tells me.


“I’ll just tell him this is my revenge for him going to Pittsburgh Flowers for the gardenia’s.” I tell him.


“Brian, Jennifer Taylor wants an appointment to see you.” Cynthia tells me.


“Tell her our going rate for any advice she needs.” I tell her.


“Which is?” She tells me.


“I do business here, not mother and son reunions.” I tell her.


I left Kinnetik and headed to Mel and Lindsay’s to pick up Gus. I got there early and found Lindsay and Mel looking at houses.


“You guys are still moving?” I ask.


“Every noise wakes me up and I keep having nightmares that we didn’t go upstairs. We haven’t found a house we agree on.” Lindsay tells me.


“Justin and Daphne are looking to sell their house. It’s in a decent neighborhood, and Alex put in the security system when Chris was bothering Justin.” I tell them, texting Justin.


“I like the house, it’s not so big that we’d end up having payments out of our budget.” Mel tells her.


“You’d only be paying for half the house.”  I tell them, reading Justin’s reply.


“We like Daphne, but we don’t want to share a house.” Lindsay tells me.


“Justin won’t take money from you, so you’d be paying only Daphne’s share.” I tell them.


“Justin will take what we would owe him, if we decide to buy it.” Mel tells me.


“Mel, it’s a house for my son. Neither Justin or I would expect you and Lindsay to pay us for the house.” I tell her.


“He worked to have that house and we aren’t going to take advantage of him or you.” Lindsay tells me.


“We’ll talk about it when you two decide.” I tell them when Gus runs in, packed and ready to go.


“Brian, they are going to plead out.” Mel tells me.


“Which means?” I ask.


“Chris is going to prison, for his part. Molly will finish her community service, with the understanding that if she gets in any more trouble there won’t be community service on the table.” She tells me.


“Michael?” I ask.


“They are still working on how to handle his part in this. His lawyer is trying to say all Michael was guilty of was taking the keys, that he can’t be responsible for what Chris did with them. His attorney is just trying to get Michael as little jail time as possible.” She tells me.


“As long as he doesn’t get off.” I tell her.


“Dan is making sure of that.” Mel tells me.

 

“Sonny Boy, ready to go see Daddy?” I ask, not ready to deal with Michael.

Chapter 28 by starlight

JUSTIN


After Alex dropped me off, I called my mother, because it was time for her to understand that bothering everyone I knew wasn’t going to work in the future. I told her to meet me at the diner. It was the one place I knew she'd be uncomfortable.


“Justin, I would rather we go somewhere else.” She tells me, eyeing everyone.


“It's here or we don't talk.” I tell her.


“It’s just there are so many people coming in and out.” She tells me.


“That happens at any restaurant. Can we just get this over with?” I ask.


“Justin, I'm your mother, not some stranger.” She tells me.


“I’d expect a stranger to ignore me, not you.” I tell her.


“I still called, it's just you never wanted to talk.” She tells me.


“If the conversation ever managed to get past Molly or Dad, I would have wanted to talk.” I tell her.


“Justin, I want us to be a family again.” She tells me.


“Tell me how you see it happening?” I ask.


“It would have been nice to be invited to your wedding.” She tells me.


“It would have been nice if I thought you coming wouldn’t have ruined my day. I just know nothing about my wedding would have gotten a seal of approval from you.” I tell her.


“You didn’t invite anyone we knew. Daphne’s parents weren’t even invited, so yes, I think it's a problem that you snubbed everyone we knew.” She tells me.


“I only wanted people who would be happy about it, not the people who would smile at my face, then talk about why they didn’t approve, behind my back. You wanted to see me, but if this means you voicing your disapproval of my life, it would be better to go back to the once a month calls.” I tell her.


“I want you to help me with Molly. How could you let her get involved in whatever went on?” She asks me.


“I didn’t let her get involved in anything, she was doing the things that caused her to get in trouble. Molly wants to make up for what she did.” I tell her.


“I’m taking your father to court, Molly would have been better off with me.” She tells me.


“Why tell me?” I ask.


“My lawyer thinks that we should bring up how your father treated you. He left you with nothing at sixteen.” She tells me.


“Did you mention that you were still married to Dad and left me on my own too. I doubt it will make you look any better.” I tell her.


“I need to be there for Molly. You were going to college.” She tells me.


“I’m sure it will make you sound better, I really don’t have all day, so can we get to why you pestered everyone to get me to come?” I ask her.


“Your father is willing to give me custody without having to go to court.” She tells me.


“Then why were you telling me about what your lawyer wanted?” I ask her.


“What he wants won’t happen.” She tells me.


“What does he want?” I ask her.


“He wanted me to see if you could get Alex to back off. Your father could lose everything if this boycotting continues.” She tells me.


“What boycott?” I ask.


“All your father’s friends and associates are being boycotted,”She tells me.


“You're here to ask me to tell Alex to stop?” I ask, wondering if she really ever broke away from my father.


“Are you kidding, let the bastard burn. I don’t owe him anything after the things I put up with. I just wanted you to know that if he tries to contact you, it’s not because he’s your loving father.” She tells me.


“Then I’m confused as to what you want from me.” I tell her.


“I just wanted to know that you would support me if called to testify.” She tells me.



“I don’t think anything I say would help either of you.” I tell her.


“I did the best I could in the situation.” She tells me.


“I made it easy for you by leaving home and going to college, at least get that part straight.” I tell her, paying for the bill and leaving.


DEB


I watched Justin leave looking disappointed in his mother. I walked over to the woman staring at her drink and sat across from her.


“Bad day?” I ask.


“Bad life, sorry, I should go.” She tells me.


“You’ll never have a relationship with him by only seeing or calling him when you need something.” I tell her.


“He went to college like he wanted, started a business and still acts like I abandoned him. I called and tried but he always treated it like I was bothering him.” She tells me.


“You did too little, I did too much, and somehow what both of us did led to most of what was happening to Justin.” I tell her.


“I don’t understand.” She tells me.


“It’s a long story, but my son helped stalk your son. Justin didn’t go to college and have a normal college life, he was harassed and had his life violated; by Chris Hobbs, my son, and your daughter. The part that you missed was that instead of your son being able to go to you for help, he got help from people you barely know. They stood by him when he had no one else. You can’t expect him to welcome you back with open arms when you didn’t do more than call to see if he was breathing.” I tell her.


“He never wanted my help.” She tells me.


“Why did that stop you from at least finding out what was going on? The school might have wanted to ignore what was happening, but you didn’t have to.” I tell her.


“Your son seemed to be the problem, so I don’t see why you feel like you can lecture me on mine and what I did or didn’t do.” She tells me.


“Because unlike my son, yours wouldn’t turn away the mother of the son that caused him grief. He doesn’t need a mother who seems to only see him as the way to solve her problems. Be the mother he wished you were, before you have to face what I am with my son.” I tell her.


“What would that be?” She asks.


“Losing him, because right now I love Michael, but don’t like who he is. Justin loves you, but he doesn’t like you very much.” I tell her.


“How can you be so sure he still loves me.” She asks.


“He came here to see you, when he most likely knew you’d disappoint him again.” I tell her.


BRIAN


Drew called back two hours after we called, he told Ted that he’d be willing to hear the offer over dinner tonight. I called Justin to see if he wanted to join us, then went to see Emmett. I didn’t want him to find out about this from other people.


“You know, normally I have to come to you, how did I get the honor of a visit?” He asks me.


“Drew is coming in tonight to talk to us about a campaign.” I tell him.


“Why tell me?” He asks me.


“I wanted you to know in case you end up running into him. I would want you to do the same if the situation was reversed.” I tell him.


“Did he ask to see me?” He asks.


“I don’t know, Ted talked to him. Do you want to see him?” I ask.


“I have Alex now. Why cause problems if I don’t have to?” He tells me.


“Emmett, maybe you need to see him, just to be sure.” I tell him.


“He didn’t fight me when I told him I couldn't be the first in a line of experiences. If it had been you, would you have agreed, or told Justin the experiences could go to hell?” He asks me.


“It would have depended on the person I was when Justin and I met. I doubt I would have given up the experiences years before, now they aren’t as important to me.” I tell him.


“Alex is worth more to me.” He tells me.


“Remember that when you run into Drew.” I tell him.


“There’s no reason for it to happen.” He tells me.


“He’ll look for you, make him regret you. You were worth more than being hidden in a closet.” I tell him.


“Then he’ll find out that he waited too long.” Emmett tell me.


I went to find Justin, I doubted that his mother was going to give him a reason to believe anything changed for them. When he answered he told me he went to see Gus. I got to the girls’ house, Lindsay was waiting for me.


“Is he okay?” I ask her.


“Brian, I think he knows that nothing will change, and like me, accepts who they are. He just wanted to show Gus the pictures. Did you two even leave the room?” She asks smiling.


“There was ocean, ocean, and more ocean, why leave the view I was enjoying to see the less spectacular one.” I tell her.


EMMETT


I wanted to be indifferent about Drew, but he was someone I once loved. I waited in the lobby of the hotel for him to come down. I've been on pins and needles the whole drive here, wondering if I still had the same feeling as before. I watched as he came out of the elevator and he stopped and signed an autograph then came towards me.


“I was hoping to see you.” He tells me patting me like a pal.


“I figured we should get over the awkwardness now.” I tell him.


“I thought maybe we could go out sometime. It would still have to be on the down low.” He tells me.


“Why? You came out, it’s not like they don’t know you see men.” I tell him.


“I just don’t want to lose my fan base. They might know, but they don’t want to see it.” He tells me.


“So you came out to go back in the closet? It doesn’t really matter if we saw each other publicly, because I found someone who isn’t afraid to hold my hand, and walk into the light with me.” I tell him.


“It’s easier when you aren’t in the public eye Emmett. When you’ve been out all your life you can’t understand what it’s like.” He tells me.


“Alex hasn’t been out, he just doesn’t see any reason to label how he loves. I really don’t see any point in us getting together to do anything, but it was enlightening seeing you.” I tell him, shaking his hand.


“I won’t give up that easily.” Drew tells me.


“You already did, have a good life.” I tell him.

  




Chapter 29 by starlight

JUSTIN


Brian and I left to go to dinner with Drew Boyd. I had to ask who he was since I’d never heard of him. All Brian had to say was football and I knew why.


“Chris was the quarterback, so I didn’t want anything to do with football.” I tell him.


“It’s not my thing either, but I do campaigns for sportswear, so I have to know who will draw in the most money.” He tells me.


“Is this dinner to meet the guy?” I ask.


“I met him before, when he was going to be the face of the campaign the last time. It was right before he came out as gay, when Leo found out he wanted him replaced. Drew isn’t going to make this easy on us, but I doubt that was the reason he agreed to come here.” He tells me.


“And the reason he’s here?” I ask.


“Emmett, he wants Emmett back.” He tells me.


“Emmett is with Alex.” I tell him.


“Yes, but Emmett was his first real relationship with a man. When they split up, Drew seemed to think it was only until he was ready for a real relationship.” He tells me.


“How long since they broke up?” I ask.


“A few years.” He tells me.


“He expected Emmett to wait around until he decided he was done playing the field and came back? Drew must really think he’s something.” I tell Brian.


“He’s rich, successful, and most likely is used to men willing to give up anything to be with him. He believes his own press. Only, if you hear about Drew, you never hear about another man. It’s not to protect Emmett’s feelings, but because football fans don’t do gay.” He tells me as we walk in.


My first impression wasn’t favorable, the man eyed Brian, Blake, and me. I guess I wasn’t up to his standards, but it seemed he would take Brian or Blake, since he made sure to sit between them.


“Brian you should have invited Emmett to join us. We talked earlier but he seems to think we are through.” He tells Brian.


“Emmett’s happy with Alex.” Ted tells him.


“I’m sure he thinks he is.” Drew tells Ted, smiling at Blake.


“Drew we are here to discuss if you want to lead the campaign for Brown. Emmett doesn’t have a place at this table.” Brian tells him.


“I’m just not sure how I feel about working for Brown. He dropped me without thought the last time, and now because everyone is rushing to have their token gay, I’m getting all sorts of offers. If he wants me, it’s going to take more than a few extra dollars thrown on the table.” He tells Brian.


“I’m not a pimp and this discussion is over. Good luck getting anyone to use you, I don’t sell my friends to make a buck.” Brian tells him, getting up to leave.


“Brian, I wasn’t just thinking of Emmett.” Drew tells him, smiling.


“Did I forget to introduce you to my husband? He’s the guy you can’t take your eyes off of.” Brian tells him, confusing me.


“I didn’t want to piss you off, but I wouldn’t mind a spin.” He tells Brian, looking at me.


“I don’t share, but I’ll let Emmett know that you still do. I have another player in mind, one who I won’t end up dealing with a morality clause with because of his personal life .” Brian tells him.


“But Leo wants me.” Drew smirks.


“No, he just wants a gay player, and you were the first one he remembered. I remember the bad press you got, and that the LGBT community barely sees you as gay. I think Leo will see why I think you're still a bad risk to a campaign, who knows what you’ll do next. The only thing you would get if you do the campaign is five million and a photo shoot. I added a clause that if your image was a problem that you must repay the campaign to replace you. Which I thought was a smart move since we had to do it the last time.” Brian tells him.


“Emmett found someone else?” Drew asked, no longer puffing up with importants.


“You expected him to wait for the rest of his life for you?” Ted asks him.


“I don’t know what I expected.” He tell us.


“He finally moved on and you need to let him go.” Blake tells him.


“Brian, if Leo wants me, no conditions. Can we have dinner if I promise to stop hitting on your husband?” Drew asks.



“Might as well, since Justin has no idea who you are.” Brian tells him, and really, did they have to laugh about it?


BRIAN


I wanted to surprise Justin with lunch. I’d been so busy with Leo’s campaign that we barely saw each other during the day. I found him sitting in his office sleeping on his desk. Apparently the lack of coffee was getting to him. I leaned down and kissed his neck and got slapped in the nose for my trouble.


“Justin, time to get up.” I whisper, catching the hand before he hit me again.


“Oh hi, sorry, if someone hadn’t thought I didn’t need sleep last night I might be able to stay awake.” He tells me, yawning.


“Justin, if you need coffee I’ll send one of my assistants out to get it for you.” I tell him.


“It’s stupid, since I’ve been there hundreds of times without any problems. You know, I just figured out it’s you, since I met you my coffee runs are cursed.” He tells me laughing.


“Come on, I’m going to prove to you it’s not cursed.” I tell him, dragging him behind me.


“See, we got coffee and nothing happened.” I tell him, smirking as we were leaving the coffee shop.


“It happens after, when you think you’ve escaped.” He tells me, kissing me.


“Brian is that you?” My sister says, sounding unhappy to see me.


“You passed it on to me.” I tell him, kissing him before turning around. “Claire, who do I kill for your appearance.” I tell her.


“Mother and I were not happy that you had to announce that you were marrying a man.” She tells me.


“I’m sure she raised a glass and said a prayer for my blackened soul.” I tell her.


“Brian, mother was afraid to show her face in church.” She tells me.


“I’m saddened that walking in church drunk doesn’t bother her, but my marriage causes her to be ashamed to show up in church.” I tell her.


“I guess this is the man you sinned against God with?” She tells us.


“Again and again and again, sometimes three or more times a day.” Justin tells her, pulling me behind him.


“Mother is expecting you to call her.” She yells as we walk out the door. “Brian, you better call her.” She yells, following us out the door.


“Tell her I’ll call when she’s sober. Which is when?” I tell her, kissing Justin in the middle of the sidewalk.


“I told you, it has to be you, I never had this happen before you.” Justin tells me, answering his phone. “What do you mean?” He asks quietly to whoever was on the phone.


“Justin?” I ask.


“Tell Brian.” He says, handing me the phone.


I looked at the display and saw it was Dan. “Hey, why is Justin looking unhappy?” I ask him.


“Michael is trying to say that Molly planned the robbery. That all the conversations were with her, and that she lied when she said she overheard Chris and him talking.” Dan tells me.


“Does anyone believe this?” I ask him.


“It’s more that all the calls were made to her, not Chris. There is no way to prove he ever talked to Chris. We can prove Chris broke in and committed the actual crime, but not that he or Michael were the ones who planned the whole thing.” Dan tells me.


“She’s a child, why would anyone think she would be the one leading the two idiots around?” I ask him.


“Like Justin, Molly’s IQ is off the charts. She is capable of planning something like this.” Dan tells me.


“What would Michael get out of this?” I ask him.


“Nothing but making sure Justin was hurt if Molly ends up with a record. It would ruin Molly’s life. Michael is serving time, but it’s like he wants one more shot at Justin.” He tells me.


“There has to be some way to find out the truth.” I tell him.


“I’m out of idea’s here, Michael isn’t talking to Deb, or anyone who is willing to talk to him.” He tells me.


“Then arrange for me to see him.” I tell Dan.


“Brian, he isn’t going to admit anything to you.” He tells me.


“He will, all I have to do is be the Brian he wants.” I tell Dan hanging up.


“Why can’t he just realize it’s time to give up?” Justin asks me.


“He’s waiting for me to save him like I did in the past.” I tell him.


“Even after everything, he still thinks that you give a damn? Doesn’t he realize that Gus was supposed to be home that night. Chris wouldn’t have cared if he hurt Gus.” Justin tells me.


“Justin, I know. I also know that your sister might have been angry, but she never wanted you hurt. If I have to talk to Michael, it’s worth it to not let him to continue to be involved in our lives anymore.” I tell him.


Dan was waiting at the police station when I got there.


“Brian, we can work on trying to prove what Molly did and didn’t do. I hate that if feels like he gets what he wants by trying to fuck over a teenager.” He tells me.


“Michael will keep playing with us until I show up. I think it’s time for him to get his wish.” I tell him.


“Let’s just hope the lawyer isn’t there to stop Michael from opening his mouth.” Dan tells me.


“I won’t go in if his lawyer is there. Trust me, Michael will agree to it.” I tell Dan as Carl comes up.


“We can tape the conversation but only with your permission.” Carl tells me.


“If it helps, do what you need to do, just make sure Michael understands that I won’t come if his lawyer is present.” I tell him.


Dan and I sat waiting to see if Michael wanted to talk to me. The answer came when his lawyer came out, slamming the door. He walked up to Dan and I.


“My client is willing to talk to you, against my advice.” He tells us, walking out of the station.


“I bet he wishes his name wasn’t drawn for this case.” Dan tells me.


“Michael can do that to a person. You can go in Brian.” Carl tells us


I opened the door and walked over to the chair across from Michael. He was beaming, as if I once again gave him what he wanted.


“I’ve been waiting for you to come see me.” He tells me.


“I’ve been busy.” I tell him.


“With him.” He spat.


“With my life, which is what he is.” I tell him.


“We could have…”


“No, we couldn’t have been what you wanted. You wanting to keep hurting Justin only makes what I once thought was a friendship, worthless.” I tell him.


“It got you here, that’s all I wanted. You need to help me, they are actually talking about prison. After everything, you owe me.” He tells me.


“So you decided to make up a story that Molly was the one leading two grown men to commit a crime. Where in your mind did you think that anyone would believe a child made either of you do the depraved things you did?” I ask.


“Who cares if she did anything, as long as that fucker pays for taking my place in your life. He deserves every bit of pain I can give him. I waited for years for you to be ready to be mine and you give it to someone else who didn’t do anything to get what you owed me.” He rants.


“So you made up that Molly planned this, to pay Justin back for getting everything I never wanted to give you?” I sneered.


“She needs to learn that protecting Justin wasn’t the right decision. If I go down, I’m taking that bitch with me.” He tells me.


I get up and knock on the door to leave, he gave me what we needed.


“Brian, where are you going?” Michael asks.


“Anywhere that I never have to remember you were once someone I knew.” I tell him, walking out to Michael screaming my name and saying that I owe him.








Chapter 30 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is the final chapter of this part. I plan to write the sequel to it, so the story will continue with a few years passed and Brian getting his wish. 

 

Thank you for all your reviews and constantly making me smile while I write each chapter. 

 

I will be working on the sequal but it might be a couple days, or who knows I could end up posting it tonight. LOL

JUSTIN


When Michael and Chris’s cases were scheduled to go to court, their lawyers were trying to find a way to get them to plead out, but of course Michael refused, saying that he wasn’t guilty of anything but trusting his friend Chris to go water his houseplants. He said that Chris stealing the keys wasn’t his fault and told that to the judge when he stood to enter his plea of not guilty. When the DA called Lindsay and Mel to ask if there was any reason Michael had the keys, Lindsay told them it was probably originally because he wanted Brian’s key. Michael stood up and told everyone that Brian always let him be at the loft before and he felt there was no reason that Lindsay should have a key and not him. When it was over Michael got the same seven years with time served deducted. Dan said that it was possible that they could be out sooner with good behavior. Not that any of us cared if they got life, as long as our lives were free of them.


Emmett stayed with Alex but introduced Renny to Drew. Emmett told me that Drew might think he’s in love with him, but for Emmett, love was Alex holding his hand not caring what everyone else thought of it. Renny was running Drew around in circles by not letting Drew hide him if he wanted a relationship. It worked, because Drew flew Renny in for games and didn’t pretend anything, but that like all the other players wives and girlfriends, Renny had a place by his side.


Ted and Blake took a few months before moving in together, mostly because I think Blake was enjoying how Ted was taking the time to date him and show him that he wouldn’t make the same mistakes he made the last time.


Grant and Dan are still feeling each other out, between disappearing for hours on end anytime Dan came to visit. Dan said he was still trying to figure out what made Grant the person he wanted, normally with Grant standing in front of him. Grant’s answer was that Dan needed someone to keep him on his toes and make him laugh. We all are betting how long before they just take the plunge and move in together.


Mel and Lindsay agreed to buy the house and wouldn’t take my part free. I didn’t feel right about making Gus’s moms pay me for my house because it was like giving Brian back money he gave to them. Brian solved it by telling me to put it in a fund for Gus later in life. Mel went to the clinic and was pregnant after the third try but was just happy that she got pregnant. Through the whole pregnancy Lindsay seem to find Mel’s moody behavior funny because Mel seem to cry all over the guys all the time. When their daughter was born, every one of us were just happy to have dry shirts again.


Brian rolled his eyes at the name they picked out, saying that it sounded like a country western singer’s name.


“You and I will never pick a name like JR for our kid.” Brian told me as we were leaving the hospital.


“Are we having one someday?” I ask him.


“You are, I want a girl with blond curls and your eyes.” He informs me.


“What happens if it’s a boy?” I ask.


“Then you keep trying until I get a girl. JR needs friends.” He tells me.


“So you want us to have a baby so Jenny has friends?” I tell him.


“Justin, that baby looks like a little old man. She’s going to need pretty friends.” He tells me.


“Jenny is beautiful, so think of a better reason for us to do it.” I tell him.


“Because I’m ready to have our family. I want a child that stays with me.” He tells me.


“Then we need to start seeing what’s involved to have your daughter.” I tell him.


“I’ve got everything we need in the car. You just need to pick the surrogate.” He tells me.

 

Brian drove down the road, not realizing that I dream of a child of his too.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=905