Blizzard Wizardry by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

The Sunshine family has a new problem to face.

Story #27 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Christmas, Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 23832 Read: 19822 Published: Mar 27, 2017 Updated: Mar 27, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Blizzard Wizardry


Chapter 1



Christmas dinner 2016 at Edna’s Treasures was thus far a resounding success.  The family and friends, old and new were getting acquainted and getting along famously, including former tricks.  The only thing that could possibly mar the day was the...

“Snow,” John mumbled to himself as he began to clear his end of the table.  With John’s hands full of dishes, Bobby got up to do his share, as did Hunter and Justin.  The latter three had a lot of experience bussing and waiting tables.  The ladies of the family were instructed to remain seated, Debbie and Claire requiring several reminders.

“What about it?” Brian asked as he filled several wine glasses.

“It’s going to be bad,” John grumbled.

“How do you know?”  Brian asked as he raised a curious brow.  It was only five in the evening but it had grown dark.  John flipped on the switch for the outside flood lights, Mr. Ribbit was already buried.

“That’s how I know,” John replied as he pointed toward the rapidly disappearing garden.  John had another load of dishes in his hands to take into the kitchen.  Emmett’s washing, drying and cleaning crews were hard at work, the dishwasher humming away.  Coffee and tea were brewing and dessert dishes were being loaded onto trays to be taken into the sun porch.

“John, we’ve had snow before,” Brian quipped.

“Not like this, little bro, come with me,” John said as he led Brian into his end of the cottage, he had a small TV on in his kitchen.  The Weather Channel was displaying the forecast along with the doppler radar.

“What am I looking at?”

“The storm of the season, if not the century,” John said as he stared at the screen.

“Big bro, I have never known you to exaggerate, why start now?”

“This is no exaggeration, Brian.  This one hit hard and fast and without warning.  The gods in Chicago and in Canada must not like us.  Two waves of weather have collided and decided to dump several feet of the white stuff on the entire Eastern portion of the United States.  Now, we have a house full of people who are going to be snowbound.  What are we going to do with them all?”

Brian stood staring at the TV.  The traffic cameras covering all the major highways up and down the Eastern seaboard were all showing the same thing, snow.  So much snow that the plows were having trouble coping.  The only saving grace was it was a major holiday and a Sunday.  Anyone who needed to be someplace was hopefully already there and safe.

Brian squeezed his eyes shut then pinched his nose for a moment.  John could see the wheels turning in Brian’s head.

“First, we serve dessert, then Santa gives out the presents.  Between us we have four houses to put up all these people for the next few days.  We’ll figure out something.”

“How can you be so calm about this?”

“John, a week ago I thought my life was coming to an end.  Who gives a shit about a few fucking snowflakes?”  Brian gave his brother a peck on the cheek then turned on his heels to walk back into the sun porch.

“Oh, yeah,” John said with a lopsided grin then followed Brian out.



*****



“Sunshine, a word, please,” Brian murmured as he took Justin’s arm to lead him into their bedroom.  Brian kicked the door shut with his foot then bestowed a toe curling kiss on his spouse’s lips.  When Justin could open his eyes, he saw Brian smirking at him.

“What brought this on?”  Justin asked as he was trying to catch his breath.

“I don’t know, must be the snow,” Brian said with his tongue stuck in his cheek.  Justin swatted him on the ass.  Brian pulled Justin in close then tucked a stray lock of blond hair behind an ear.  He bent his head to whisper into Justin’s ear.  “I love you, Justin.  I just needed a quiet moment to tell you that.”

Justin gazed up into Brian’s eyes, the blue eyes shining with joy and unshed tears.

“Love you too, Brian.  More than anything, I love you.”  The lovers kissed again then hugged each other tightly.  They were about to go back out to the family when Justin stopped.  “Bri, what did you mean about the snow?”

“John, our own hippy dippy weather man, has informed me that we’re going to be stuck with these people for the next few days.  He wants to know where we’re going to put them all.”

Justin appeared to contemplate the situation.  “I have no idea but we have plenty of food and in the morning we can have one hell of a snowball fight.  Do we really need to make a decision now?  I mean, can it wait until after Santa?”  Justin’s blue eyes sparkled.

“Yeah, dessert and Santa first, sleeping arrangements later, Sunshine.”

“Yee Haw!” Justin exclaimed then giggled.

“Come on, little boy, let’s see what Santa brought you.”  Brian bussed Justin’s head as they walked back into the porch.



*****

                                  

It had become a custom for the last few years for the "family" to exchange names and buy a fun gift for the person whose name was drawn out of a hat.  The gift couldn't be more than twenty-five dollars, and could be considerably less if you could be creative.  The gift was supposed to be humorous or touching or just weird, something to grab the person's fancy in whatever way possible.

The gifts were always labeled with the person's name that the gift was intended for and then they were signed from Santa, so supposedly no one would know who had provided the gift.  Quite often though, it was possible to figure out who the gift came from.  Ted was notorious for his obscene sexual items like the cock sock he had given Michael at his long ago birthday party.  Emmett usually found something truly weird and wonderful.  Everyone tried to find something unique and different.  That was the challenge.

All the family was arranged around the sun porch.  Some sat on chairs.  Others lounged on cushions on the floor.  Couples leaned against each other and Bree and Patrick were all revved up to get another present.

The storm continued to rage outside, but nobody paid it much attention, except for John.  He kept glancing out the windows, noting that the level of the snow continued to rise.  Bree's frog had long since disappeared from view.  He wondered if they would be able to get the doors open to get outside.  John looked around the room.  People were chatting and laughing, enjoying a beer or some mulled wine.  With a sigh he concentrated on the events that were about to unfold.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls," Brian called out.  "It's time for the Santa gifts."

"Yay!" Emmett squealed.  He was always the most enthusiastic about this enterprise.

"Hold your horses, Honeycutt!  We haven't got to yours yet."

"But I can hardly wait, and don't call me Honeycutt."

Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and glared at the tall queen.

"Dada," Bree said tugging on the leg of her father's jeans.  "Presents."

"Yes, Squirt.  Time for presents," Brian agreed as he leaned down to kiss her cheek.

"Love you, Dada."

"I love you too," Brian said feeling emotion rise in his throat.  It was so good to be home with his family, and he was all right, no cancer, nothing to worry about.  He felt Bree's little arms go around his neck.  He hugged her close as he stood up bringing her along with him.  He held her in his arms realizing how heavy and how big she was getting.  She would soon be all grown up.

Brian felt emotion wash over him.  He knew he wanted to be there for her first date.  He'd torment the little fucker who dared to ask his daughter out.  He wanted to see her married and happy.

"Pop," Gus said at his elbow.

"Yeah," Brian replied taking a deep breath and trying to regain his equilibrium.  He took the Santa hat that Gus handed him and plopped it on his head, much to the delight of all present.  "I'm ready," he said as he set Bree down and took the present that Gus held out to him.  "This one seems to be for our very own Emmett.  Here ya go, Honeycutt."

Emmett was too excited to complain about Brian calling him Honeycutt.  He squealed with glee as Bree carried the little bundle over to him.

"Here, Auntie Emm," Bree said, handing him the package.

"Thank you, sweetheart."  Emmett took the wrapped bundle and then kissed Bree's cheek.  She ran back to her father as Emmett tore off the wrapping paper.  "Oh my fucking God!" Emmett exclaimed.  "It's a Gloe Baby Monkey."  He lifted out a little monkey that was already changing from blue to purple and then glowing a reddish pink.  The whole group watched as the little creature turned from one color to another running the entire spectrum of colors.  "It's my rainbow baby," Emmett gushed cradling the little monkey against his chest.  "I absolutely love it.  Thank you so much whoever got this for me."

Everyone looked around the room, but nobody was willing to take credit.  The Santas were supposed to be a secret.

"Santa got it for you, Auntie Emm," Bree said knowingly.

"That's right.  Of course he did."

Gus handed his father another package.

"Owen," Brian said reading the tag.

"Oh, that must be for my son," Owen protested, knowing that they were last minute add-ons and his son would have been there if he wasn't on his honeymoon.

"Nope," Brian said.  "I have it on good authority from a Mister Claus that this gift is for you."

"Well, in that case…"  Owen took the present from Bree and kissed her cheek.

He opened the long narrow package ripping off the paper and revealing an elegant looking box that might contain an oversized pen set.  He flipped the lid and burst out laughing.

"What?" Sharon asked.

"You have to show and tell," Debbie directed him.

"Okay, okay," Owen managed to say as he got his laughter under control.  "It's a very classy looking Gentleman's Ball Scratcher."  He read the words from the inside of the box, a big grin on his face.

"Oh my lord!" Claire laughed.  "Is that appropriate?"

"I think it's great," Owen laughed.

Even Sharon saw the humor in it, as Owen passed the gift on so that everyone could get a good look at it.

"Use it in good health," Brian said.

"But not in public," Michael said with a grin.

"I'll be discreet," Owen replied, "but never doubt that I will use it."

"Owen!" Sharon said pretending to be mortified.

"I mean it.  I love it.  Santa really knew what to get me."

"Santa always knows what you need," Bree said definitively.  Patrick nodded his head in agreement.

Gus handed his father the next gift.

"Brother John," Brian said with a warm smile.  He handed the envelope to Bree who ran over to her uncle.

"Unca John," she said very politely as she extended the envelope to him.

"Thank you, sweetheart," he said giving her a kiss.

He opened the envelope and pulled out a card.  He read in silence and then wiped at his eyes.  "This is great.  Thank you whoever did this."

"What is it?  You have to share," Sharon Brenner said getting into the spirit of the day.

"Yeah, come on, John. What is it?" Steve asked.

"Someone adopted a penguin for me."

"A penguin?" several people shouted out at the same time.

"It says the money goes to looking after penguins in the Falkland Islands," John explained, as he started to pass around the card.

"What a fabulous idea!" Allen said.

"I think that's just great," Hunter interjected.

"Me too," John replied.  "I always enjoy the penguins at the zoo."

"I think they do that with other animals too," Ben supplied.

"Want one next year?" Michael asked with a grin.

"There are worse gifts," Ben replied kissing his husband.

Gus extended another present to his father.

"Ah, another of the newbies to our family.  This one's for Sharon."

Bree ran over to Sharon and handed her the gift.  She got her obligatory reward of a kiss before running back to her father.

Sharon quickly opened the gift.  She wasn't sure about this whole thing.  Being in the limelight wouldn't be much fun if the package contained something obscene.  Owen might be able to laugh it off, but she wasn't so sure she could.  She opened the box and a big smile played across her face.

"Santa is very smart," she said with a chuckle.  "He knows I have cold feet."

"I can vouch for that," Owen said kissing her cheek.  "They're like two blocks of ice when we're in bed in the winter.

"Not anymore," Sharon crowed, drawing out a pair of Pink Hot Sox as they were described on the tag.  "You heat them in the microwave and they warm your feet.  They will be heavenly," she gushed, seeming to be truly touched by the unexpected gift.

"Heavenly for me too," Owen contributed.

Everyone laughed as Gus handed his father another gift.  The presents continued with much laughter and ribald comments.  Ted loved his Trembler Orgasmatron Head Massager.  He put it on, but refused to turn it on while in the presence of the assembled masses.  He got lots of comments about the orgasm part and whether or not that would happen for him.

There were fun gifts and more serious gifts, but everyone seemed to enjoy them.  They were getting near the end when one came up for Dr. Raph.  Bree carried it over to him and he kissed her cheek.  Ripping off the paper, he found something that made him burst out laughing.  "Oh, this is too perfect!" he told the room.

"What is it?" Drew asked.

"A bullshit button!"

"Oh, for fuck sake!" Debbie reacted.  "I want one of those."

"Me too," Emmett chimed in.

"How does it work?" Hector asked his partner.

"It's got five levels."  Raph read the accompanying card.



"5 different Bullshit Button Alerts.

"(Beep) That was bullshit"
"(Siren) Bullshit detected, take precautions"
"Bullshit level defcon 5"
"Oh come on now, that ain't even bullshit, that's horseshit"
"Warning, warning, bullshit alert"


"Oh, that's too funny," Bobby laughed.  "You'll get good use out of that."

"Ain't that the truth," Raph replied.  "I think I'll keep it on the counter in the clinic, along with the card.  What do you think, Hector?"

"Perfect!" Hector replied.  "Maybe some of our more bullshit inclined customers will get the message."

"I think it's probably too subtle for some people," Justin laughed.

"You're probably right," Seth agreed with a laugh.

"Every business has its bullshitters," Jennifer added.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Many thanks to whoever the Santa was that gave me this … thoughtful gift," Raph laughed.

Bree frowned.  "Dada, why did he say that?  There's only one Santa."

"That's right, Squirt.  He was just being silly."

Bree looked thoughtful.  "'Kay, Dada," she replied.  She waited for the next present that she would deliver to its new owner.

Finally the gifts were all distributed including a very special one for Bree.  Santa brought her a lovely silver hairbrush set.  Brian even showed her how to use it while everybody watched.  Bree loved to get her hair brushed, and Brian loved to brush it.

Emmett and Justin brought out coffee and dessert.  They all sat around discussing the great Santa gifts.

John glanced out the window.  The snow continued to fall and the wind seemed to be picking up.  It was going to be a long and snowy night.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 2



Melanie walked into the kitchen to put on the kettle to make a pot of tea.  When she turned to snatch one of Emmett's cookies off the counter, she spied John, Brian, Emmett, Drew, Rachel and George deep in conversation in the living room.

"What's going on?"  Melanie asked the group.  "Kinney, what are you up to now?"

"Just working out the sleeping arrangements, oh crabby one," Brian snarked.  John snorted but controlled his laughter.  In the spirit of the season, Melanie ignored the wisecrack.

"Sleeping arrangement, what sleeping arrangements?  Gus is the only one of us who's staying.  JR, Linds and I are heading back to the city," Mel said in complete ignorance of the raging storm outside.

"Um, I don't think so," John said as he gently guided the petite woman to the front windows.  Pulling back the thick curtains, John pointed out to the lane.  The only car visible was Drew's Hummer and the snow had already drifted higher than the tires.

"Oh my God!  Does everyone know that we're stuck here?  And don't you have a plowing service?"

"Melanie," Rachel began gently, "we have a plowing service but this storm took everyone by surprise.  The main roads haven't been cleared yet.  The earliest the plow might get here is tomorrow afternoon.  And that's only if the main highway gets cleared."

Melanie stood silently trying to take it all in.  She was glad that she was at the cottage with her children and not stuck on the road somewhere.  The sharp whistle of the kettle brought her back to the here and now.

Hearing the kettle, Justin came into the kitchen to help make the tea.

"Have you guys worked it all out yet?" Justin asked as he placed several tea bags in the pot to steep.

"Almost, Sunshine.  We're retaking a head count to make sure we haven't forgotten anyone," Brian answered.

"Can I help?" Melanie asked.

"I think we have it under control," John replied.

"Actually, Mel," Brian began, "if you wouldn't mind, could you organize the sun porch while we're working out the logistics?  The table needs to be pushed up to the wall and the folding chairs collapsed so that we can spread out the lounge chairs.  We'll be needing them."

"My girls can help," Rachel volunteered.

Melanie smiled.  If there was one thing Melanie Marcus excelled at, it was her organizational skills.  She loaded up a tray with mugs for the tea then followed Justin out to the porch.

"Phew, I think we just got the Melanie Marcus seal of approval," Emmett chimed.

"Thank the gods!" John and Brian stated in unison and they all laughed.  When they became calm again, Brian recapped the arrangements.

"Okay, let's go over this one more time," Brian said as he took out a pad and pen to jot it all down.  "Emmett and Drew will host Hunter, Nick, Ted and Allen."

Emmett and Drew both nodded in agreement.  Their small office doubled as a guest room and the sofa was large enough for Nick and Hunter to cuddle together on it.  Nick and Hunter had no objections to cuddling.

"Drew, we may need your Hummer to ferry over Rachel and her family plus her guests," Brian suggested.  "I know it's not that far but I can't see anyone walking in this.  She'll be hosting her parents and Claire and Steve."

"No problem," Drew confirmed.  "My baby will make it," Drew said with confidence.  "I can bring them over first."

"Drew, drive the Hummer up the back driveway.  It will bring you close to Brian's side door.  You may have to make two trips," John said.

"Got it; then we'll take the guys down the lane to our cottage."

"Okay, that leaves the rest to us," John mumbled.

"Don't worry, big bro, they'll fit.  Besides we have plenty of sleeping bags and floor space," Brian snarked.

"Brian, I can't see your mother in a sleeping bag on the floor, can you?" John said as he arched a brow at Brian.

"Have no fear, Joan and Jenn can share the futon in my office.  Katerina can bunk out here on this sofa, it's very comfortable and she'll be toasty with the fire going.  Danny can take your sofa.  We put Owen and Sharon in our room, Raphael and Hector in the brass bed.  Do you mind giving up your bed to Debbie and Carl?"

"Not at all, Bobby and I will be fine in my office.  The kids can share Gus' room.  Patrick and Bree are used to sleeping together.  JR can take the top bunk and Gus can use a sleeping bag.  They'll have fun."

"That leaves the Munchers.  They can take Bree's room and Ben and Mikey can go in Patrick's room," Brian added.

"What about Seth?"  Emmett asked.

"He can use the chaise.  Me and the blond can squish together on other chaise," Brian said with a wink.

"Oh, like that's going to be a hardship," Emmett remarked as he returned the wink.  "You love squishing with Justin."

"I think that's it.  We have plenty of food to divide up.  And we can do a buffet breakfast in the morning.  I'm sure we'll have a lot of help," John said.

"That's it!  Now who gets to break it to the family?"  Brian asked his cohorts.

"You're the mastermind, Bri.  I elect you," Emmett stated.  Brian watched as his committee all nodded their heads in agreement.

"Oh goody," Brian grumbled as he went to the liquor cabinet, poured a shot of Beam then downed it in a flash.  "Okay, I'm ready," Brian said as he steeled himself then led his committee out to the porch to propose the sleeping arrangements.



*****



Drew used his best sports jock whistle to get everyone's attention.  The assembled masses were all sipping tea and coffee and talking and laughing.  Brian knew he was going to have to burst their happy holiday bubble.

He cleared his throat.  "Folks," he said.  "I don't know if any of you have looked outside lately, but we're in the middle of the fucking blizzard of the century."

"What?  You're kidding, right?  Can't be.  Oh my fucking God!  When did that happen?  What are we going to do?  I should leave right now before it gets any worse."  These were some of the comments spewing out of people's mouths.

Drew whistled again, making them halt and listen.

"Nobody's going anywhere," Brian stated.  "John's been keeping an eye on the weather and it's bad all the way back to Pittsburgh.  The plows can't keep ahead of the snow.  You're going to be staying here."

"But you don't have room…" Owen protested.

"Maybe if we left right now," Sharon began.

"Yes," Hector agreed.  "We should go right now."

"There's nowhere to go," John said.  You won't even get down the lane.  It's drifted full."

"Don't you have someone to plow?" Dr. Raph asked.

"Of course we fucking do," Brian reacted.  He was getting pissed at being asked that question.  Like the storm was his fault or something, and he didn't know how to take care of his family in the winter.  "And our plow driver would be happy to plow, if he could fucking get here!  But all the roads are too dangerous or impassable.  He won't be coming out until this is over."

"When's it supposed to stop?" Seth asked, ever the voice of reason.

"They didn't know it was coming, so I think it's highly unlikely they know when it's going to end," John postulated.

"Fucking weathermen!" Debbie reacted.  "They're not worth the screen they broadcast on."

Everyone chuckled.  Trust Debbie to nail an improbable metaphor.

"So what are we going to do?" Michael asked.

Brian smiled.  Good old trusting Mikey was still here. He had always looked to Brian to solve his problems and today didn't seem to be any different.

"We think we've got it all worked out," Brian stated.  "Here's the sleeping arrangements."  He proceeded to list off the accommodations for all the guests.  That was immediately followed by many protests and voluntary offers of sacrifice.  Several people apparently wanted to sleep on the floor.  No one wanted to put the homeowners out of their beds.  Everyone was willing to suffer during the coming night.  They all started making new plans.

Brian watched and listened for as long as he could stand it.  The cacophony of noise was playing on his last nerve, and they were getting fucking nowhere.

"Shut the fuck up!" he finally shouted when he couldn't stand it any longer.  "We had this all worked out to our satisfaction … and we had hoped to all of yours.  Nobody's changing anything, so fucking live with it!"  Brian stormed out of the sun porch and into the kitchen.  Bree ran after him.

"Dada," she said as she skidded to a halt by his leg.  "I share.  I can sleep on the floor."

"Thanks, Squirt," Brian said lifting her up.  "But you're going to sleep in Gus' room with Patrick and JR.  It will be just fine."

"'Kay, Dada.  Don't be mad."  She patted his face gently.

"I'm not mad," Brian said with a smile.  Bree always knew how to make him smile.  He realized that the noise had died down in the sun porch.  He wondered if they had finally started to listen.

"They're getting ready to go," Justin said as he came into the kitchen.

"Who?" Brian asked.

"The ones who are assigned to Rachel's and to Drew and Emmett's.  They're rounding up whatever they need to take with them."

"Finally."

"You did a good job of organizing things, Brian."

"John did a lot of it, and Emmett."

"Well, I think they finally realize that this is the best way.  Do you think the Hummer can get through?"

"Drew's sure it can," Brian replied.  "We'll have to take his word for it."

Justin nodded.  "We'll get him to call after he makes all his deliveries.  He's shoveling out the Hummer and pulling it up to the side door, so his guests won't have to plow through the snow."

"Brian," Joan said from the doorway.  "Are you all right?"

"Yes, mother."

"If there's anything I can do…"

"You want to change your sleeping arrangements too?" Brian asked.  He could feel his headache building.

"Son, what you've organized is just fine," Joan said gently.

Brian shook his head.  "I shouldn't be so testy."

"With all these people around, I don't blame you," Joan smiled.  "I kind of like being alone in my little house.  It's not easy dealing with so many people."

"You can say that again, especially these people," Brian agreed.

Joan smiled.  "It's going to be fine."

"I give you Bunny to sleep with, Gamma Joan," Bree volunteered.

"That's very sweet of you, Briana.  Are you sure you won't need him?"

"I'll have Patrick," Bree declared.

Brian and Justin laughed.  It was so like Bree to equate Patrick with Bunny.  Patrick wouldn't be too happy to know of the comparison.

A horn honked by the side door.

"That must be Drew," Justin said.  "Everybody going to Rachel's house your ride is here!" he called.

Claire and Steve came out all bundled up in their coats and hats and scarves.  Bree ran over to kiss Gamma Claire and her husband.  The Morrisons and George and Rachel and their girls weren't far behind.  Brian and Justin made sure they were all situated in the Hummer.  It involved people sitting in each others' laps, but Drew insisted he only wanted to make one trip, and the heavy load would give him good traction.  Those left behind watched the four wheel drive vehicle make its way toward George and Rachel's house.  They were all holding their breath as it came to a stop and the occupants began piling out.

"I hope he can get the fucking thing turned around," Brian whispered to Justin.

"Me too," Ted said.  "Otherwise I'll have to walk to Drew and Emmett's."  He shook his head.

"Don't worry, darling," Allen laughed.  "I'll carry you if necessary."

Ted smiled.  "My hero!"

They watched Drew maneuver the Hummer as he tried to turn it around.  At one point it looked like he was stuck.  Everyone groaned.  After some tense moments and several tries he somehow managed to get the vehicle free of the snow drift and it started its route back to the house.

"Go, Drewsie!  Go, Drewsie!" Emmett chanted, and everyone joined in.

Brian had to smile in spite of the circumstances.  Emmett always was a great cheerleader.  He kind of wished the tall queen would be staying with them tonight, but Emmett had his own entourage of guests to look after.

A few moments later Drew backed the Hummer up to the side door once again.

"Next set of passengers!" he called.

Ted and Allen and Hunter and Nick headed out to the vehicle.  Emmett turned and waved to everyone before following them.

"I hope they make it all right," Justin said.

"If they don't, we have enough man power to go dig them out," Brian assured him.

Justin leaned against Brian.  He felt his husband kiss the top of his head.  They'd all be fine.  Justin knew they would.  He was never more sure of that than when he was in Brian's arms.

"Okay," Brian said.  "Let's get this place organized."

When Brian walked back into the sun porch, he realized there was very little organizing left to do.  Melanie had rallied the remaining family.  The large dining table that normally stood under the chandelier in the center of the room was pushed back to Justin’s side of the porch.  All the folding chairs had been folded and were leaning against the far wall.  The regular chairs were pushed to the table.   The wicker furniture as well as the lounges were neatly arranged in the middle of the floor.  With the tree twinkling in the corner and the chandelier light turned low, the porch took on a warm glow.

Jennifer and Joan had arranged some of Emmett’s delicacies on one of the round tables along with some herbal teas and hot cocoa.  Even under these unforeseen circumstances, when the reality of the situation final sunk in, the family was determined to make the best of it.  They were all chatting quietly and truly enjoying each other’s company.

Justin saw Bree yawning.  It was after nine and Bree had been up with the birds.  Justin caught Brian’s eye then cocked his head toward their daughter.  Brian immediately understood.

“Okay, Squirt, how about we get you into your pj’s before Lindz and Mel take over your room,” Brian said making it sound like more of an order rather than a suggestion.  Bree was too tired to argue.

“Okay, Dada,” Briana said with a yawn.  Gus had plenty of clothes in his room.  Even JR kept a few things in Gus’ room.  JR grabbed her stuff then went to change in the bathroom.  Gus went to prepare his room for the kids while Bobby got Patrick ready.  Once the kids said their goodnights, the adults could get themselves ready for bed.



*****



“Brian, we all brought an overnight bag, just in case,” Jennifer admitted to her son-in-law.  Brian raised a brow.  “Well, I know you haven’t spent a lot of time with your mother lately and with the wedding, I was hoping to spend some time with Justin … and Katerina is on break, and...”  Jennifer was on the verge of verbal diarrhea when Brian stopped her with a kiss to her cheek.

“That’s fine, Mother Taylor.  It saves us from trying to find clothes for you all to wear for the next couple of days.  Do you need help getting your bags upstairs?  The spiral staircase can be tricky to maneuver.”

“No, sweetheart, I’ll be fine,” Jennifer said with a soft smile for Brian.  She returned the kiss.  “I am so grateful that you’re well and that Justin has you in his life.  I love you, honey.”

“Aw shucks, Mother Taylor,” Brian blushed then dipped his head.  Jennifer chuckled as she went for the bag she had stowed in the closet.  “I’ll be down to say good night.”

Joan had her bag in her hand.  She wasn’t sure if she could carry it up the spiral stairs.  Gus, who had changed into his old sweats to sleep in, came to her rescue.

“I’ll take that up for you Grandma Joan,” Gus said cheerfully as he took her bag and went up the stairs.  Joan smiled sweetly at her grandson.  Her past stubbornness and prejudices had almost deprived Joan of spending time with Gus and Bree and with Brian.

“Mom, you okay?” Brian asked Joan, seeing the wistful expression on her face.

“I’m fine son, just counting my blessings,” Joan said then she gently caressed Brian’s cheek before bidding him and the remaining guests a good night.



*****



Jennifer, dressed in a pair of flannel sleep pants, topped with an old sweatshirt of Justin’s came back into the sun porch for a hot cocoa and to say a private good night to Seth.  The two wandered over by the tree, seemingly to admire the decorations.

“Not exactly what I had in mind for our first night together,” Jennifer murmured over her mug.  Seth feigned shock but warmly returned the sentiment.

“I promise to make our next night together more memorable,” Seth said then gallantly kissed Jennifer’s forehead.

“The way the storm is blowing out there, we may be spending our next night right here.”

“What I meant to say, is that I promise to make our first night alone together, very memorable.”  Seth smiled handsomely at the petite blond then swept Jennifer into a warm embrace, and without spilling a drop of her cocoa.

“Way to go, Mother Taylor!” Brian called out, getting a deep blush from Jennifer.

Jennifer waved good night to the family, kissed Seth one more time then walked up the stairs.


Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 3



"Owen, before you and Sharon get settled, I want to grab some clothes for the girls and anyone else who might need something to sleep in," Brian said to Owen as he was showing the Brenners to what would be their room for the night.

Sharon was standing beside the bed admiring the huge four poster. "Brian, this bed is magnificent. Where did you find it?" Sharon asked.

"I'm not sure. I left most of the decorating to Justin. So much was happening during that time in our lives. I am eternally grateful for his impeccable good taste," Brian boasted about Justin. Just then the house phone rang.

"Kinney. Hey Emmy Lou, you guys okay down there? Good, I'll let everyone know. Have a good night and we'll talk tomorrow. I'll call if I hear anything about the plow guy. All right. Night!"

Owen and Sharon smiled knowingly at Brian.

"He knows I worry," Brian said as he shrugged. With an armful of clothes, Brian bid the Brenners a good night.



*****



"Bri, the girls are cool with just t-shirts. Um, they said they usually sleep half naked," Justin whispered to Brian with a grimace.

Brian chuckled. "When Lindsay and I were in college, she always slept in my t-shirt," Brian divulged.

"TMI, Bri," Justin stated with an exaggerated shudder. Brian went to Bree's bedroom door, gave it a couple of knocks then barged in.

"Fag in the house!" Brian announced as he quickly opened the door, stepped inside then shut the door.

"Hey!" Lindsay yelled but then laughed when she noticed that Brian had his eyes shut tight.

"What the fuck is up with you, Kinney?" Melanie shrieked.

"Believe me, Mel, with the thought if you naked, nothing's up," Brian snarked then got hit in the head with a pillow. He still had his eyes closed. "Are you decent?"

"Yes, we're all tucked in," Lindsay said.

Brian cracked open one eye to survey the situation. Seeing the Munchers all huddled under Bree's big thick quilt, he flopped himself onto the bed near Lindsay's side. "What are you doing, you big goof?" Lindsay slapped away Brian's hand as he pretended to threaten to pry away the blankets.

"Nuthin, just wondering what you got hiding under there," Brian said with mischief.

"Nothing that you'd want to see, asshole," Melanie snarked.

"You can say that again." Brian rolled his eyes at Mel.

"Behave!" Lindsay admonished Brian. "Now get out and we'll help with breakfast in the morning."

"Okay," Brian said contritely. "And no icky lesbian shit in my daughter's bed!" Brian wagged his finger at the girls.

"Get. Out!" Mel commanded as she pushed the man off the bed. Lindsay giggled. There was no malice in either Melanie or Brian's words. Brian placed some sweat clothes on the rocking chair then said goodnight to the girls.



*****



John and Bobby got Debbie, Carl, Ben, Michael and Danny situated in their side of the cottage after doling out the spare clothing to be used as sleepwear.

Katerina was happily ensconced on the sofa in Brian's end of Edna's Treasures. She had brought one of her nursing theory books to read.

All that was left was Seth, Raph and Hector. John, Bobby and Justin were finishing the cleaning up and setting the timers on the coffeepots for the morning.

"Seth, I hope you don't mind the chaise," Brian inquired. "It's really very comfortable. We've all slept on it at one time or another."

"No, not at all, I'm amazed that we all seem to fit," Seth commented. He had changed into a t-shirt and a pair of John's sleep pants and was given a thick duvet for his use. He was making himself a little nest on the chaise when Raphael and Hector came into the porch wearing their own borrowed sleepwear.

"Brian, I don't mean to be rude but all night I kept hearing about the brass bed. What brass bed?" Raphael asked with skepticism. Hector stood by with his hands on his hips.

Brian smirked. "Sunshine, would you assist me?"

"My pleasure," Justin answered with all innocence.

Working in concert, Brian and Justin folded back the big Japanese screen that was surrounded by the large potted palms in the corner closest to their bedroom. The polished brass gleamed, reflecting the light from the tree.

Raphael and Hector simultaneously let out a gasp of delight and wonder. Seth sat up in his lounger.

"This is beautiful!" Hector exclaimed as he reached out to touch the cool brass foot rail.

"You'd never know that the bed was here. This must be some experience in the summer, sleeping under the stars," Raphael commented.

Brian leered suggestively at Justin, as Justin sidled closer to him. Justin snickered then waggled his finger under Brian's nose. Brian captured the wandering digit in his hand then kissed Justin's palm.

"If you'd like more privacy, we can put the screen back in place," Justin offered.

"No, thank you," Hector answered for them both. "Your tree is so beautiful. It's a lovely sight to fall asleep to."

"Good night. We'll see you in the morning." Justin switched off the chandelier then dimmed the tree lights. John and Bobby went up to their office room as Justin then snuggled close to Brian under their blanket.

The snowstorm howled outside but it was warm and cozy within Edna's Treasures.

Beau made his rounds, making sure the occupants of the cottage were safe then he took his place upon his cushion and fell asleep.



*****



Joan and Jenn settled in on their futon. The lights were out and it was very dark being out in the country.

"Jennifer, could I ask you something?" Joan began.

"Sure."

"Do you think Brian is really all right? Has he said anything to you about his health?"

"What do you mean?" Jennifer asked, turning on her side to look at Joan in the darkness. "Did he say something to you?"

"No, no, nothing like that," Joan said hastily. "It's just that Brian has always been such a private person. I had to find out from Debbie the first time that Brian had cancer. He didn't even think to tell me."

"But your relationship with him was so much different back then."

"Sadly you're right. I was so prejudiced and inflexible."

"But you and Brian are so much closer now. I'm sure he'd tell you if something was wrong."

"Would he?"

"Joan…"

"He didn't tell me for days after this scare."

"He probably didn't want to worry you."

"It's a mother's job to worry."

Jennifer sighed. "Yes, I know. After Justin got bashed, I worried for months. Without Brian I don't think I would have my son back … even now. I don't know what would have happened to him … to us."

"That must have been a terrible time for you," Joan said reaching over to squeeze Jennifer's hand.

"It was." The memory still made tears come. Her beautiful son had been so damaged, so scarred, turned into someone she didn't even know. And couldn't cope with. She hated to admit that, but it was the truth. She had turned him over to Brian out of desperation. But it had been the right thing to do, no matter the motivation. Brian had brought him back. "I'm sure Brian's fine, Joan," she said, squeezing Joan's hand in return. "Brian says he is, and they were so happy today. Justin would have told me if something was wrong."

"I pray you're right," Joan whispered.

"I know I am."



*****



Sharon and Owen settled into the big four poster.

"It's so quiet here," Sharon said after a few minutes.

"Yes, so unlike our house in the city. There's always a siren or a car going by or a dog barking."

"Did you see that dog they have here? He's huge," Sharon observed.

"Yes, he certainly is, but he's so well trained. I hardly knew he was here most of the time. That's really saying something with all the people who were milling around and all the food laid out all over the place. I snuck him a piece of turkey at dinner," Owen laughed.

"You didn't!" Sharon giggled.

"Did to."

"My big, bad husband," Sharon giggled.

"Am I?"

"Of course you are."

"I can't believe we're here in Brian and Justin's home," Owen stated. "I would never have guessed this is where they would live."

"Where did you think they'd live?"

"In a mansion on a huge estate."

"Or a penthouse high above the city."

"But this place is much … nicer."

"Homier," Sharon observed.

"Yes, that's exactly the right word," Owen agreed.

"And Brian and Justin seem so happy."

"I hope Owen and Molly will be that happy when they start their married life together."

"Yes, I do too," Sharon said. "It's so much harder these days to make a marriage work."

"They have some good role models to follow."

"Like us?" Sharon asked.

"Yes, us."

Sharon giggled. "I love you, Mr. Brenner."

"I haven't heard you giggle this much in years. You should giggle more often," Owen said leaning over to kiss Sharon's cheek.

"I should?"

"It's one of the things I love most about you. Couldn't get that giggle out of my head after the first time I heard it."

Sharon smiled in the dark. "My mother used to tell me it sounded silly, that proper young ladies don't giggle."

"Well, you know what I thought of your mother," Owen said without any real rancor in his voice.

Sharon giggled. "It was the reason I kept going out with you. You pissed my mother off."

"Is that the only reason you went out with me?" Owen said with a smile.

"No, just one of many."

"Here's another one," Owen said as he rolled over and kissed his wife as he hadn't kissed her for quite a while.



*****



Katerina closed her book and switched off the light by the sofa. She snuggled down under the warm covers and watched the fire dance in the fireplace. Someday she wanted a place like this, a place of her own, a partner to share her life with.

She let out a long sigh and listened for a moment to the wind whipping around the cottage. This was so different from her homeland. It would be warm and green there, even though it was winter. She shivered just a little bit.

She wondered how John Patrick, her brother was doing. Maybe when she got her nursing degree finished and had a good job, she could afford a plane ticket home to see him and the rest of her family. Sometimes, it was so lonely here. Everyone had been great with her. She loved living at Jennifer's and always felt welcome, but she wanted her own place too.

Thinking about the cottage and Brian and Justin, she knew that's what she wanted for herself, a warm, cozy home with a partner to love. She'd have that … someday, she decided, as she snuggled down some more and fell peacefully asleep.



*****



Melanie and Lindsay were lying in Bree's bed, each wrapped up in her own thoughts. Little did they know that they were thinking the same thoughts.

"Lindz."

"Yeah."

"Are we okay?"

"What do you mean?" Lindsay asked not wanting to answer the question. She was afraid of the answer.

"I … I was watching Brian and Justin today. They're so much in love … still."

"Yeah, they are," Lindsay agreed. "It's pretty impressive how far they've come."

"What about us?"

"Us?"

"Have we come far or are we stuck somewhere that we don't really want to be?"

Lindsay flinched. She had been asking herself that question a lot lately. "I … I don't know, Mel."

"Let's take that vacation we've been promising ourselves," Melanie suggested.

"When?" Lindsay asked cautiously. Melanie would probably say next summer, next year, after her latest big case was settled.

"As soon as JR goes back to school in the new year. It should be just you and me."

"You mean it?" Lindsay asked.

"I mean it."

Lindsay leaned over and kissed Melanie's cheek. "I'd like that."

Melanie smiled. "I think we need it. I think we owe it to ourselves."

Lindsay nodded. "We do need to get away … and reconnect."

"Yeah."

There was a period of silence as each tried to decide if they should risk instigating something more between them. They had been keeping their distance lately.

"So you were watching Brian and Justin today?" Lindsay asked, hoping the love between those two might inspire or rekindle something between them.

"Yeah, and if you tell Kinney, I'll have to kill you."

Lindsay laughed softly. "I don't know how they do it. They seem to be more in love all the time."

"I guess Brian's scare really made them appreciate each other," Melanie postulated.

"It's more than that. They appreciate each other all the time. They really are in love."

"And who would have ever thought that the asshole would find that," Melanie felt compelled to state.

"Why do you always call him 'the asshole'?"

"Because he is." Melanie felt Lindsay stiffen beside her and knew she had said the wrong thing. She did think Kinney was an asshole … most of the time, but she didn't want Lindsay to be mad at her. "Mostly, it's force of habit," she admitted grudgingly. That word was the first thing that popped into her head whenever she thought about Brian Kinney. She didn't know if she'd ever get over her resentment of him and the place he held in Lindsay's heart.

"He's not really so bad."

"I know," Melanie said with measured tones. She liked giving Kinney a hard time whether he deserved it or not.

"Do you think you could cut the asshole references, maybe in half?" Lindsay asked hopefully. "Gus doesn't like it when he hears you calling his father that."

"I can try," Melanie said. "As long as it's only fifty percent less, because I know I'm going to use that word still. I can't help myself."

Lindsay chuckled. "I know."

Melanie sucked in a breath. "Want to do some icky lesbian stuff in Bree's bed?" she asked, deciding to take the bull by the horns.

"Yeah!" Lindsay laughed as Melanie rolled on top of her.



Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 4



Debbie snuggled up against Carl. She could hear the wind howling and knew the storm was far from over.

"You okay, sweetheart?" Carl asked.

"Yeah, but I never much liked winter storms."

"There's something my wife's afraid of?" Carl asked, letting mock disbelief resound in his voice.

Debbie smacked his chest gently. "I would never admit to being afraid of anything," Debbie said. "I had to be strong for Michael. He needed to know he could always depend on me."

"And he always could," Carl said squeezing Debbie's hand.

"And now I can depend on you. I don't have to be fearless all the time."

"You're always fearless in my eyes."

Debbie smiled. "You think so?"

"Absolutely. I remember that day you gave me shit when you found the body in the dumpster behind the diner. I was pretty scared of you."

"You were?'

"Yeah, because you were right, even though I didn't want to admit it back then."

"I'm glad we found out who he was … the kid in the dumpster, Jason Kemp. Nobody should end up like that, alone and unknown."

"Well, he didn't, thanks to you. He has a center named after him, and your grandson runs it."

"Yeah," Debbie said proudly. "Storm or no storm, it's a good Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Mrs. Horvath."

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Horvath."



*****



"Michael, is something wrong?" Ben asked as they made another effort to get comfortable in Patrick's bed. Ben smoothed out the covers as Michael punched his pillow once again. Michael had been tossing and turning ever since they got into the bed.

"I … I keep thinking about Brian."

Ben sighed. Like Michael didn't think about Brian all the time anyway. "What are you thinking about him?" Ben asked patiently.

"He managed to find places for all the people who are here today. He's pretty amazing, isn't he?"

"Yeah, amazing," Ben said trying not to sound pissed off. He didn't want to hear a litany of Brian Kinney's triumphs.

"I'm glad he's okay … after that scare."

"Yeah, me too," and Ben meant every word of that.

"I love you, Ben."

"I know," Ben said turning to face Michael. "You're happy, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. Why would you even ask?"

"Because sometimes…" Ben decided not to finish that statement.

"You're my life, Ben. I couldn't live without you."

"Sure you could," Ben said quickly. With his HIV status there was always the possibility that he would develop full blown AIDS. That hadn't happened yet, but it always hung there over their relationship, like a huge dark cloud.

"I wouldn't want to," Michael declared. "I may think Brian's a fabulous person. I always looked up to him, but you're my husband, the love of my life."

"You mean that?" Ben asked.

"One hundred percent. I love you."

"Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me?" Michael asked unaware of what he had just said and its impact on his husband.

"Because sometimes … sometimes I think you'd rather be with Brian … than with me," Ben admitted. It was time Michael knew how his often careless words about Brian made Ben feel. And those words came all too often.

"There was a time…" Michael said wistfully.

Ben felt his heart clutch in his chest. "Michael," he said.

"But that was a long time ago."

" Was it? Is it?"

"Yes, really. Whatever may come running out of my mouth about Brian, it's you I love, Ben Bruckner. Just you!"

"I love you right back, Michael Novotny-Bruckner."

"Merry Christmas, Ben."

"Merry Christmas, Michael."

Michael snuggled into Ben's embrace and they soon fell asleep.



*****



Seth shifted on his chaise. It was comfortable enough, but it wasn't his own bed. He was having trouble getting to sleep. His mind kept wandering to a certain lady upstairs. He wondered if she was thinking about him.

"Stop it, Harris," he half muttered to himself. He needed to think about something else if he was ever going to get to sleep.

His thoughts meandered over to his hosts who were cuddled together in the chaise not too far away. They seemed so happy and content in this house. Jennifer had told him about the recent medical scare Brian had had. He was very glad the man had got a clean bill of health. He had learned to like and respect Brian Kinney since the day he had come to visit Seth when Emmett was trying to buy the old bakery. How Seth's life had changed since then!

And it was going to change even more if he could convince Jennifer Taylor of a few things. He smiled to himself. His mind always came back to her. She was so lovely and so sweet … most of the time. And then she'd open her mouth and swear like a trooper. She was some lady, some broad, a force to be reckoned with. God, he had grown to love her.

Seth heard Brian and Justin whispering in the dark. They probably wanted to have sex, but that was sort of impossible with so many people around. And especially him, good old straight Seth. He chuckled to himself. Who would believe that he was trying to sleep in a chaise in a room with four gay guys, and several more gay guys scattered about the place? But he didn't care. He liked these people. They were good people.

With a long sigh he snuggled down into the duvet and tried not to listen to the wind howling outside.



*****



Raph and Hector were ensconced in the big brass bed. It was fucking comfortable, and they could see the wind and snow whistling across the roof of the sun porch. It was nice to be all warm and toasty and inside, while the storm raged outside.

"You asleep?" Hector asked.

"No, you?"

Hector chuckled. "How could I be asleep when I'm talking to you?" Hector whispered.

"You could be talking in your sleep."

Hector laughed. "No, I couldn't."

"This is a great bed," Raph observed.

"Yeah, maybe we can cop an invite to come back when it's not forty below and we can see the stars without peering through a blizzard," Hector suggested.

"That would be nice."

"I'm glad we decided to stay."

"Did we have much choice?" Raph asked.

"Not really, but I would have gladly left when Owen suggested it."

"Yeah, me too."

"You didn't want to hang around the great Brian Kinney?" Hector asked.

"He doesn't mean anything to me, Hector," Raph tried to reassure his partner.

"I find that hard to believe from everything I've heard about him."

"He was a great fuck, but he was an absolute asshole back then."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"So, that woman, Melanie, who called him an asshole a couple of times today, she's right?"

"I don't know about now," Raph replied. "But back then it was certainly true. Brian Kinney never remembered who you were once he was finished with you. I saw him around Babylon and Woody's a few times after we fucked, but he wouldn't give me the time of day."

"Asshole!" Hector reacted, defending his partner.

"See," Raph chuckled. "That's exactly the kind of response he inspired."

"But he does seem nicer now," Hector admitted.

"I think he's changed a lot. I haven't seen him in years."

"But you recognized him immediately."

"He's aged … very well."

"Hey, I don't want to hear that," Hector protested.

Raph laughed and pulled Hector against him. "You don't have anything to worry about. Justin Taylor has all of Brian Kinney's attention."

"Does he?" Hector asked skeptically.

"Just look at them and you'll know the answer to that," Raph assured him.

"I think I already know the answer. I just wanted to hear you tell me that."

"Any time you need reassurance, I'll be happy to oblige."

"Thank you," Hector said as he laid his head on Raph's chest. "I'd like to fuck you," Hector whispered barely audibly.

"I'll take you up on that as soon as we get home," Raph chuckled. "But right now, go to sleep."

"'Kay," Hector agreed snuggling into his man.



*****



"Do you think everyone's settled down?" Justin asked as he felt Brian's arms around him keeping him safe.

"The two in the corner have finally stopped talking," Brian said.

"What do you think they were talking about?"

"Us, of course."

"You are so arrogant," Justin giggled.

"That's why you love me," Brian stated.

"If you say so," Justin replied nibbling on Brian's neck.

"Hey, stop that! Unless you want to put on a show for our guests."

"Would that be so bad?"

"I didn't think you'd want our home to be little better than a back room."

"Of course I don't want that, but we could be very quiet."

"We could, could we, Mr. Take Me Brian, Take Me Now!?"

Justin giggled. "I guess I do beg sometimes."

"How about all the time?"

"You have begged upon occasion, I seem to recall," Justin said smugly.

"Have not."

"I bet I could make you beg right now if I wanted to."

"Don't even think about it, Sunshine."

"Why, you afraid our guests will see that you're my bottom boy?" Justin asked, baiting Brian.

"I don't care what our guests think. And I'll bottom for you any time I want to."

Justin smiled. "I love you so fucking much," he told Brian as he found Brian's lips in the dark and initiated a long, passionate kiss."

"You're going to have to stop doing that," Brian groaned, "or I won't be responsible for the consequences."

"I could blow you," Justin suggested.

"As tempting as that sounds, Sunshine, I think not. We might give good old Seth a heart attack."

Justin giggled. "You're probably right. Maybe the storm will be over in the morning and they'll all go home."

"And then I can fuck your ass off."

"Count on it, and I'll return the favor."

"Somebody's feeling frisky," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek even though Justin couldn't see it.

"Always, where you're concerned."

That led to another long kiss.

"Go to sleep," Brian groaned.

"Yes, sir," Justin chuckled as he deliberately threw his leg over Brian knowing he could rub it against his husband's hard cock.

"You are evil."

"I'm an angel."

"That too."

They closed their eyes and tried to sleep.

Beau shifted on his cushion. The people were finally quiet. Maybe now he could really sleep. He was glad to be inside on his warm cushion. The storm was still howling outside.



*****



Up in John and Bobby's office, the lovers were settling in on their futon pull-out bed. The bed was big enough to hold four, if necessary, plenty of room to spread out. And yet, the lovers and life partners were huddled close together under warm blankets in the middle of the bed.

"Bobby, you asleep?"

"Not yet," Bobby whispered.

"I had a great time today. How about you?"

"Yes, especially with our whole family here. In spite of the snow, this has to be one of my all time favorite Christmases."

"Mine too."

Sensing something was a little off with John, Bobby cuddled even closer. "John, we are the luckiest men on the face of the planet and don't you forget that." Bobby felt John relax into his arms.

"With you by my side, I won't. I love you, Bobby Morrison, never forget it."

"Never. You and Patrick are my life."

The lovers kissed, reaffirming their love.

After a few quiet moments, Bobby wanted to make sure his spouse was okay. "Can you sleep now? I have a funny feeling we'll need all our strength tomorrow."

John chuckled softly. "Yeah, Babe, I can sleep. It'll be all hands on deck when we're ready to dig out. In the meantime, it'll take our combined creative juices to keep this bunch entertained."

Bobby agreed. The lovers kissed then fell asleep.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 5



While the folks at Edna's Treasures had all settled down, the 'boys' at Emmett and Drew's were just getting started. The three couples had been living in the Tremont apartment building for several years now and had grown accustomed to hanging out together. Ted and Emmett's friendship was never stronger. The two buddies would often spend evenings in each other's company when the Ironmen were out of town on an away game or the symphony was touring.

And of course there was plenty of food to be had.

"Why is it that I feel the need to make a pig out of myself on this huge sandwich only a few hours after we had that gigantic Christmas feast?" Nick asked the group. He was rubbing his swollen belly.

"Honey, you're a growing boy and you work some very strange hours at the hospital and the clinic. You need to keep up your strength!" Emmett was only too happy to feed Nick and Hunter and at any time. He loved to watch people enjoy a good meal.

"If I keep eating like this I'm going to blow up like a balloon," Nick exclaimed.

"Don't worry, I'll help you work it off," Hunter said with a grin, waggling his eyebrows at his life partner. Nick put his arm around Hunter, drawing the younger man close as they sat near the huge double fireplace which was the main feature in the cottage.

"Aw, young love," Ted remarked. "Was I ever that young?" Ted was in his mid fifties now but remained young at heart.

"Teddy, we were all that young once, but I think we're all fabulous at any age!" Emmett said with a wide grin. Drew passed around chips and dip which were greedily snatched up.

"I agree," Allen said. "We've all had things to deal with, some more serious than others, but we're here together and I declare that this has been one of the family's best Christmases ever!" Allen held up his beer.

As the storm raged on outside, the six friends inside the quaint cottage all toasted their good fortune.



*****



Rachel and George's house was an old farm house built back in the time when having a several story home was the norm. Dan and Emily often spent time there and were very comfortable. To Claire, the house felt like her own; spending time there wasn't a problem. Claire had a wonderful time with her family and yet there was something.

"Claire, you've been very quiet this evening. Care to share?" Steve asked as they were getting ready for bed.

"Isn't that my line?" Claire snarked.

"Sweetheart, methinks you've been spending far too much time in the company of drama queens." Steve cupped his wife's chin so that Claire would look directly into his eyes. "Is it Brian's scare? Is that what set this off?"

"I think so. Grandpa Aidan and his wife both lived well into their eighties. My parents were strong too, living to ripe old ages. Jack Kinney died relatively young. And Brian, he was in his early thirties when they found cancer. I worry for John."

"Honey, from what I've learned Jack Kinney died from lung cancer. He smoked close to three packs a day for over forty years. His cancer has nothing to do with Brian's. And Brian is doing all the right things to stay healthy. And so is John. As a matter of fact, John has made it a policy to remind me about my checkups. He's a right pest about it too. Even been harassing Bill and Gordon. Your son is fine and is taking very good care of himself and his family, including that stubborn and often irritating brother of his."

Claire and Steve broke out into quiet giggles. Claire felt so much better, in part due to Steve's gentle wisdom. She had a lot to be grateful for, especially for the man in her bed.

"I love you, Steve McNally."

"What's not to love?" Steve quipped, imitating Brian.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing." Claire and Steve snuggled into the downy mattress and fell peacefully asleep.



*****



"Patwick, Patwick," Bree repeated as she leaned over Patrick's face staring at his sleeping eyes.

"Huh?"

"Patwick, wake up."

"Why are you talking baby talk?" Patrick asked rubbing his eyes.

"To get you to wake up, silly."

"I'm awake," Patrick said with a yawn.

"Sh, Gus is still asleep and JR too."

"So?"

"Let's go see where everybody is."

"Why?"

"I don't know, just let's go."

"Okay," Patrick said giving in to Bree as he almost always did.

Quietly and with only a few almost silent giggles the two slid off the bottom bunk and walked carefully past Gus who was sleeping in his sleeping bag on the floor. Bree stopped for a moment to look at her brother.

"Come on," Patrick said.

Bree leaned over and gently kissed Gus' cheek before following Patrick out the door.

"Where do you want to go?" Patrick asked.

"Let's find Daddy and Dada," Bree said confidently.

"Okay."

They headed for Brian and Justin's bedroom. The door was closed, but Bree quietly turned the knob and opened the door. The two children stepped inside and looked at the bed.

"That's not Dada."

"Or your Daddy," Patrick whispered.

"That's the man and lady who came with Gamma Jenn, Mr. and Mrs. Owen."

"How come they're sleeping here?"

"Don't know," Bree said with a frown.

"Let's go," Patrick advised.

They quickly left the bedroom closing the door behind them as quietly as they could. In the living room they saw Katerina sleeping on the sofa.

"She looks really pretty," Patrick whispered as they watched Katerina sleep.

"Pretty as me?" Bree asked not at all impressed that Patrick thought someone other than her was pretty.

"Naw, nobody's as pretty as you."

Bree smiled and kissed Patrick's cheek. Patrick felt obliged to wipe off the kiss even though he really didn't want to.

"Come on," Bree said heading for the sun porch. "Maybe they're in the brass bed."

Without looking at the rest of the sun porch they headed for the brass bed. The screen was folded and back and they could clearly see two men sleeping in the bed, but they weren't the right two men.

"Why did everybody sleep here?" Bree wondered out loud. "And where's my daddies?"

Beau chose that moment to lick Bree's face making her giggle.

"Morning, Beau," Patrick said as he got some of the same treatment.

Bree wiped the dog slobber off her face and then patted Beau's head. "Where's my daddies, Beau?" she asked him.

Beau turned and trotted over to the chaise. Bree and Patrick followed. They stopped beside the chaise looking at Brian and Justin locked in each other's arms and sound asleep.

"Should we wake them up?" Patrick asked.

Bree frowned and then that turned to a smile as she decided what to do. "Tickles," she whispered.

Bree went for Brian's feet and Patrick went for Justin's waist. They plunged under the quilt and started their tickle torture.

"Hey!" Justin reacted before he started to laugh.

"What the…!" Brian said as his eyes flew open. He looked down into the laughing face of his daughter. "Squirt! You are a very bad girl."

"Yes, Dada," she laughed, and Beau let out a woof.

"What's all the uproar?" Seth asked throwing back his covers.

"The tickle twins are at work," Brian said as he scooped up his daughter and pulled her onto his chest for a big kiss. Justin grabbed Patrick around his waist and pulled him over for a kiss too.

"Why didn't you two go pick on John and Bobby?" Justin asked.

"'Cause we found you first," Patrick explained.

Bree nodded her head in agreement.

"Has the storm stopped?" Brian asked looking out the windows of the sun porch.

"Jesus!" Justin reacted.

The snow was halfway up the windows. There were some lazy flakes still drifting down, but the worst seemed to be over.

"It must have snowed most of the night," Seth said as he got up from his chaise and stretched his back.

"Yeah, and hard," Brian replied. "We'll have our work cut out for us even to get out of the house."

"You can do it, Dada," Bree said confidently from her perch on Brian's chest.

"Thank you, Squirt. I'll do my best." Brian gave her a peck on the cheek.

"We'll be happy to help shovel," Dr. Raph said from the big brass bed. "I don't know when I've had such a good night's sleep. I'm raring to go."

"Me too," Hector agreed.

"Well, first we need to have a good breakfast," Justin stated.

"That's right, Daddy," Bree agreed.

"I'm hungry," Patrick concurred.

"Then breakfast it is," Brian stated as he set Bree back down on the floor.

"Woof," Beau added.

"You hungry too, Dog? We'll have to see what we can do about that." Brian stood up and headed for the bathroom.

"Will you have enough food for all of us?" Hector asked.

"You ain't seen nothin' until you've seen Brian Kinney whip up one of his famous breakfasts," Justin told them.

Bree and Patrick nodded their heads enthusiastically.

"I can mix a mean can of orange juice," Seth volunteered.

"We'll hold you to that," Justin laughed as he got up. "We should crank up the barbecue so we have some more places to cook."

"But don't they need to be outside?" Raph asked.

"We have one that's vented to the outside. We use it when we have bad weather and still want to barbecue," Justin explained.

"Like today," Hector said looking at the mountains of snow outside the windows.

"Today's a beautiful day," Seth said. "The sun is breaking through and the world so white and sparkly and beautiful."

"You got that right, Seth," Brian said as he came back from the bathroom. "Let's get this show on the road."

"I'm ready," Seth said.

"Us too," Patrick added for Bree and himself.

"Me too," Raph agreed climbing out of bed.

"I guess I am too," Hector said a little reluctantly. He really wasn't a morning person.

"Woof," Beau added.

They all started to get things organized.

With Brian in the kitchen cooking up a storm at the stove, the family decided they would be more useful by setting up the porch to receive the massive breakfast that was apparently being constructed. John thought it best to break out several small breakfast steaks. They were going to need all able bodied persons to help dig their way out of the house and clear the cars. A little extra protein wouldn't hurt.

The long dining table was put back in the middle of the porch, the chairs placed around the table. As Brian cooked, family members appeared and then retreated, bringing platters of eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, waffles and of course, steak. A seemingly never ending amount of dishes, cutlery and napkins were brought out and neatly arranged.

Seth, as promised made several pitchers of juice. Danny was put in charge of the coffee pots. He made sure pots of coffee and tea were brought out, as well as milk for the children. Within an hour breakfast was ready and set out on the table looking almost as vast as the Christmas dinner was on the previous day.

"Brian, I know you don't normally say grace but if you don't mind, I'd like to offer a simple prayer," Joan asked gently. Brian smiled, nodding his consent then respectfully bowing his head.

Joan stood to gaze upon the family she had grown to love and cherish and who had welcomed her into their fold. Briana was smiling brilliantly, dazzling just like her father. Joan understood how her son could fall so hard and so completely for Justin. Gus too carried a smile, more like a smirk, growing more like Brian every day but without that sadness that Joan knew she had instilled in her own son.

"Being surrounded by so many of our good friends and family, especially at this time of the year, warms my heart. If I had to be snowed in, it couldn't have happened in a better place and with better company. For what we are about to receive, we are thankful and truly blessed. Amen."

"Amen," the family repeated then began to pass around the platters.



*****



"John, how are we going to dig out, there's a five foot snow drift against my front door. If I open the door, the snow will fall in," Brian remarked as he looked out the front window.

"What about your side door? We got the Hummer through, maybe the snow didn't drift up that high," John said as he walked toward Brian's side door. John opened the door knowing the storm door would prevent any snow from coming in.

"Jez-us!" Brian exclaimed when he spied the drift that was even higher than the other one. "Damn, we're really snowed in."

Just then Beau sauntered by, wondering what all the excitement was about. He sat at heel next to John, as John pondered their next option. John's hand automatically went to scratch the top of Beau's head. John looked down.

"Beau, what have you gotten into?" Feeling his hand wet, John took a good look at Beau. "You're wet." Beau looked up into his master's eyes. "Brian, my door!" John said loudly as the realization struck him. "Come on."

The brothers made a bee-line for John's front door. It was situated on the other side of the cottage and may have been protected from the wind. The brothers stood by the door, John's hand poised on the knob.

"Yes!" John and Brian said simultaneously, pumping the air with their fists. They could see through the window beside the door that the snow was barely two feet high on this side of the cottage.

"And we have lift off," Brian quipped. When the euphoria of finding a way out of the cottage faded, Brian made an executive decision. "John, it's going to take the two of us to fight our way to the shed and open it to get out the shovels. And we don't have enough shovels to go around. I don't relish losing someone in all of this snow. I think we should work in pairs and in shifts. If we all go out there, we'll all be exhausted in no time."

"I agree. We have enough games, movies and books to keep everyone occupied until the next shift is needed. I hate to say this but we may be here for a few more days. I don't think I've ever seen this much snow. I spoke with the plow service. He's stuck too. He won't get here until late tomorrow if at all."

"So you and me get to the shed and take out as many shovels as we have. We make a path to my front door then work on clearing the driveways. You know, maybe we should invest in a small plow of our own."

"You know if we do buy a plow, it's a good bet we'll never see enough snow out here to use it."

"Yeah, imagine that," Brian snarked. "Let's go present our plan to the troops."

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 6




"You ready?" John asked.

"No, but let's go," Brian replied with a smirk.

"You'll be fine. Just take it slow and easy. Don't overdo."

"You realize the shoveling will ruin my manicure and the wind will negate all the effects of my hundred dollar a tube French anti-aging cream," Brian snarked.

"There's almost no wind this morning and you have big thick mitts to protect your manicure," John said debunking Brian's complaints.

"If you say so."

"You can do it, Dada," Bree said with her beautiful smile.

"Thanks for the pep talk, Squirt. Where's Emmy Lou when you need a good cheer?"

"Go Brian, Go Brian, Go Brian!" the assembled crowd at the cottage chanted. The impromptu cheer was followed by belly laughs all round.

"Hey, where's my cheer?" John demanded.

"Go John, Go John!" they all responded.

Fortified with the energy from all their friends and family, Brian and John opened John's front door. They started the lengthy trek through huge drifts around to the storage shed at the back. They had one shovel that was always kept in the mud room to clear a path to the vehicles. John was digging his way where necessary, while Brian followed. As they came to the corner of the house, John handed the shovel to Brian, and then they disappeared around the side.

"Let's go to the bedroom," Bobby suggested. "We can follow their progress through the bedroom window."

Everyone rushed to follow Bobby. They craned their necks to get a view through the window of Brian digging his way along the side of the building.

"They're almost to this corner of the cottage," Bobby reported for those who couldn't see.

"Dada," Bree said standing in the middle of the large group of people. She sounded worried since she couldn't see anything but legs.

"It's okay, sweetheart," Justin said picking her up. "Dada's almost to the corner then we can see him from the sun porch."

As soon as those words were uttered, the whole group rushed to the sun porch in time to see Brian lead the way around the corner. A cheer went up. Brian and John could hear it and looked up. They both smiled and Brian, ever the showman, took a mock bow.

"Get digging!" Debbie shouted.

Brian scowled but threw aside a few more shovels of snow before handing the implement to John. Everyone continued to watch the slow progress as they made their way to the shed. Finally they were there and were able to dig open the door of the shed. John entered and came out carrying a load of shovels of all types and descriptions. He held them up in triumph. Everyone cheered.

They slowly dug their way to the sun porch door which they were able to free from its case of snow. Beau immediately went charging out, racing around the yard and getting stuck in the drifts.

"Dog, behave yourself!" Brian ordered. "We may need to tie a cask of brandy to your neck to rescue the diggers."

Beau immediately came over to the men and sat down beside them once they entered the sun porch.

"Okay," John said. "I'm ready for a break."

"Michael and Ben, you're up next?"

Ben nodded. "We'll go out and make our way back along your track, digging to the front door of the cottage. That's closest to the vehicles."

"Good plan," Brian said, squeezing Ben's shoulder.

Michael and Ben had donned their winter gear and were out the door. Beau went with them. He seemed to be reveling in the snow and cold.

"I could use some coffee," Brian said blowing on his frigid fingers.

"Coming right up," Debbie called as she headed for the kitchen where they had a pot of coffee and muffins all ready for the returning heroes.

John and Brian slumped down in the chairs at the kitchen table.

"That was hard digging," John said with a sigh.

"Good packing snow," Brian replied.

Bree immediately recognized those words. "Snowman!" she said her eyes lighting up.

Brian groaned. "Maybe later, Squirt."

"'Kay, Dada," she said as she climbed up onto his knee.

The phone rang as Brian was stirring his coffee. Justin answered it.

"It's Emmett," he mouthed as he listened to what he was being told on the line. With a final okay, Justin hung up the phone. "They've started digging out from their end," Justin explained. "They just talked to Rachel. Apparently they can't get any of their doors open. They're trapped."

"But they have heat and power, don't they?" Seth asked.

"Yes, everybody's okay in that regard," Justin said.

"Then maybe we should send out a team to head over to Rachel's to set them free, once Michael and Ben make it to the front door," Bobby suggested.

"Hector and I will take a turn," Raph volunteered.

"Thanks, Doc," Brian said.

"I think Bobby should go with you," John added. "He knows the way and he can spell you off. If you get tired, stop and come back. Someone else will take over."

Raph nodded before he and Hector went to get bundled up.

"Emmett says Ted and Allen are out clearing the path at the front of their place," Justin explained.

"Hope the silly old fart doesn't have a heart attack," Brian snarked, but everyone could hear the affection in his voice.

"He'll be fine, kiddo," Debbie said. "Everybody's been told not to overdo it."

Emmett says they're going to start digging up the lane, so that we can connect the houses and get from one to the other," Justin told them. "Just in case something happens or we need to share things."

"Good idea," John replied. "We can meet in the middle."

Brian made a skeptical face.

"We can do it," Justin said confidently.

"I help, Dada," Bree said.

"Me too," Patrick joined in.

Everyone turned to look at the two children who had put on their coats and boots and stood holding their plastic shovels ready to get started.

"With help like that, how can we possibly fail," John said as he hugged his son.

Bree got her share of hugs and kisses before everyone started talking and suggesting how best to get started. That was when Michael and Ben burst through the front door.

"We made it," Michael called triumphantly.

"Go Michael. Go Michael! Go Ben. Go Ben!" everyone chanted much to the delight of the two men.

Bobby, Raph and Hector set out to reach Rachel's house. Justin and Bobby went out to start down the lane and hopefully find the vehicles which were mostly buried. Seth was pretty sure he could see the top of what he thought was one of the Jeeps. Bree and Patrick went with them. Gus and JR wanted to be part of the next shift when Melanie, Lindsay and Katerina went out to do a shift.

As the day wore on Debbie and Carl insisted on shoveling for a while, as did Danny. Jennifer and Seth went out and did their share. Bobby, Raph and Hector and their relief shovelers finally reached Rachel's house. That increased the work force when George, the girls, the Morrisons and Steve and Claire could also help. They all refused to let Joan do any shoveling so she kept the kettle boiling and coffee dripping, as well as making food for people as they came in from their shifts.

They kept working down the lane hoping to meet up with Emmett and Drew's crew who were working their way up the lane. The phones were constantly ringing to report progress but neither side was visible to the other through the high drifts.

"Fuck! I'm exhausted," Brian said as he and Justin came in from shoveling. "Who knew there could be so much fucking snow in any one place at one time?" He fell onto the couch, leaned his head back and closed his eyes. Justin was right beside him.

"Brian," Joan said.

He opened his eyes and looked up at his mother. "What?" he asked finding it difficult to keep the irritation out of his voice. He was fucking tired.

"Drink this. You need the energy." She handed him the mug she held in her hand.

"What is it?"

"Hot chocolate. And don't even bother to say it. You drink this and then eat this sandwich that I made for you." Joan glared down imperiously on her son.

"Yes, mother," Brian said contritely, sipping the hot chocolate. He had to admit it hit the spot.

"Here's yours, Justin," she said handing her son-in-law a mug of hot chocolate too. "You've both been working so hard today."

"Yum," Justin reacted. "This is just what I need."

"Me too, Daddy," Bree said as she sipped her own cup of hot chocolate. "Is it time for snowman yet?"

"No, sweetheart, we still haven't got a path to Auntie Emm's. We have to do that first," Justin explained to her.

Joan beamed at her family. They were such a good bunch and loved each other so much. There were rarely harsh words between them. She could picture Jack's reaction if Brian had asked to build a snowman in the middle of shoveling the driveway. She shuddered involuntarily at the thought.

"I have fucking muscle cramps on top of muscle cramps," Debbie exclaimed as she flopped down into one of the chairs in the living room. She took the hot chocolate that Joan extended to her. "And don't you fucking say anything about my age, Kinney," she warned ominously.

"I wasn't going to," Brian protested, "even though my jaw is the only muscle in my body not screaming at me at the moment."

"Tell me again why we're doing this," Debbie said. "We could just wait for the plow."

"Who knows when they'll be able to get here," Carl said as he rubbed Debbie's shoulders. "Shouldn't you have met up with Emmett's group by now?"

"How the fuck should I know?" Brian griped. "The snow's so deep we can't see anything most of the time."

"What if you pass each other and don't know it?" Gus asked.

"Bite your tongue, young man," Jennifer said.

"Hector and Raph should be back from their shift soon. We'll evaluate before we send anyone else out," John stated.

"Good idea," Justin agreed. "Don't you think so, Brian?"

"Sh, he's asleep," Joan said as she took the mug out of Brian's hand and threw an afghan over him. She motioned for the others to follow her out of the room.



*****



After Brian's fifteen minute power nap, he was up, feeling somewhat refreshed and ready to go out again. He was gearing up in the sun porch when Justin walked in all bundled up and ready to pull another shoveling shift. Brian noticed that Justin was stretching and rubbing his hand. Justin didn't want anyone to know his hand was beginning to spasm. He had no intention of coddling himself and every intention of taking his shift.

Brian had other ideas. He stood, stretching to his full height to loom over his shorter in stature spouse.

"What do you think you're doing, Sunshine?" Brian growled, arching a brow.

"Ge'ing rea'y to oo ou," Justin mumbled under his scarf. Brian pulled down on the scarf, freeing Justin's mouth.

"Say again," Brian grumbled.

"I'm getting ready to go out again," Justin said carefully.

"I don't think so."

"Brian, everyone is helping. Even your mother is pulling kitchen duty and mopping up after all of us. I have to pull my own weight!" Justin pleaded.

"Justin, I saw the look in your eyes this morning when we got up and saw the sun shining on the snow. You're dying to sketch and it is beautiful out there. But with all of us shoveling and trampling out there, it won't stay pristine for long."

"But..."

"Look, you know I'm going to be royally pissed if you go out and hurt your hand. We've only a few more hours left of sunlight. Why don't you take Bree and Patrick toward the Wendy house and build a snowman. The trees protected the playhouse; the path is relatively clear. Maybe Carl or Jennifer or Danny will go with you. They've done enough manual labor for the day. You'll be a hero in the kids' eyes and I won't worry about your hand."

Justin contemplated Brian's suggestion. The children had waited patiently all day to build a snowman and he knew he'd never hear the end of it if his hand really cramped up. It was true; Justin really did want to sketch. He had several sketches in mind already. He thought he'd present each couple with a sketch as a thank you for helping with the dig out of the great blizzard of 2016.

"Okay, Bree and Patrick have been so good and I don't want you to worry. I'll go ask my mom if she wants to come with us."

"Good idea, Sunshine. Happy you see it my way," Brian snarked.

"Is there any other way?" Justin remarked.

"None that I can think of," Brian responded then gave Justin a deep kiss to take away any sting his words may have caused. "I don't want you to be in any pain," Brian whispered close to Justin's cap covered ear. "I love you."

Justin smiled; he knew how important his well-being was to Brian.

"Bree! Patrick! Let's go build a snowman," Justin called out.

"Yay!" The kids cheered as they ran into the sun porch to bundle up for snowman duty.



*****



Justin and Beau led the children out the sun porch door, with JR and Jennifer bringing up the rear. They followed the path John and Brian had dug out toward the shed. A few more feet beyond a large drift was the Wendy house. The small yard in front of the playhouse that was usually enclosed by the small picket fence, was fairly clear.

Armed with a large broom, Justin and Beau pounded their way through the drift, breaking through to the other side.

"Yay!" The children cheered and jumped as Beau leapt high in the air, adding his barking to the cheers.

Jennifer and the kids started to form the base of a snowman close to the Wendy house porch as Justin swept the powdery snow clear from the opening they made through the drift. He patted the sides of the opening to firm up the snow. When Justin was satisfied that their gateway to the Wendy house was secure, he joined his mom and the kids building the snowman.

Before it got dark, Bobby came out of the cottage to check out the snowman progress. He had it on good authority that there were two snowmen, each wanting a nose.

"Wow!" Bobby exclaimed, very impressed with the two snow people. One of which looked like she was wearing a dress. "Very nice."

The snow 'girl' was holding a small plastic shovel. She had big blue colored pebbles for eyes and pink colored pebbles for her mouth.

The snow 'boy' sported his own shovel, had greenish brown colored pebbles for eyes and his own pink pebbled smile.

Bobby set down the backpack he was carrying to pull out a set of scarves then wrapped one each around the necks of the snow people. He also pulled out two carrots. He gave one carrot to Bree and one to Patrick so they could finish off the snow people.

"Okay everybody, let's get a picture of the snowman crew!" Bobby announced, as he then took a camera out of the bag. Everyone huddled around the snow people for the picture. He took several more including one of Beau standing in front of the snow people.

The sun was beginning to set, making the air colder.

"We better get back to the house," Jennifer suggested and everyone agreed.

Justin led the way, holding Bree's hand, followed closely by Jennifer and JR then Bobby with Patrick and, of course, Beau.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 7



"Yeah," Brian said into his cell phone. He had been digging through the snow for at least twenty minutes and he tried to keep his breath regular. He was getting fucking tired. He didn't know how many shifts of shoveling he had had during the day.

"Brian, it's almost dark," Emmett said into the phone. "We should have met up with you." Brian could hear the tears in Emmett's eyes. "Why can't we find you? How fucking long is the lane? I don't know what to do. I yelled at Drewsie and now he's mad at me. And Ted and Allen are out digging, but they're mad at me too because they've been digging all day and they're so tired and I don't know what to do."

"For fuck's sake, Honeycutt, calm down," Brian said harshly. If he had been in Emmett's presence he would have smacked him to get him out of this major queen out. He knew it was serious when Emmett said nothing, and didn't yell at him to stop calling him Honeycutt. All he heard was a shuddering breath from the phone. "Emmett, talk to me. It will be all right."

"No, no, it won't," Emmett whispered. "This was my idea and I've worn everybody out and we're no closer to being together than we were before we started."

"It kept everybody busy all day," Brian said philosophically. "At least they weren't whining at me about being trapped in the cottage."

Emmett frowned. He didn't like Brian reducing his great master plan of linking the houses together with a path through the snow to something that merely kept their guests occupied for the day. "It's always all about you, isn't it?" Emmett said.

"Of course it is," Brian replied with a smirk.

"You … you are…"

"I know, I'm an asshole. What else do you want to tell me?"

"With all the digging we've done, I don't understand why we haven't met on the lane," Emmett continued to whine, Brian's momentary distraction forgotten.

"I'm in a fucking deep drift at the moment, so I can't see anything."

"But we have cleared a long way from the cottage. You must be way down the lane too."

Brian frowned. He had been thinking the same thing. He would swear he was almost to Emmett's cottage. They really should have met up. "If I get through this drift in the next couple of minutes, I should be able to see more. I'll call you back when I scope it out."

"Okay, but make sure you do," Emmett said with a sniffle, before Brian cut the connection.

"Is he queening out?" John asked as he continued to throw shovels full of snow to the side.

"Yeah, big time."

The two brothers had taken the latest shift of digging. It would probably be the last one as the sun was quickly going down. They dug in silence for a while until they broke through the high drift into an area with little snow.

"We should plant some more trees along the lane," John said as they took a breather. "Where we have the trees they've really blocked the drifting."

Brian assessed the situation. "Yeah," he agreed looking around. "I can't figure out why we haven't met up with Emmett's team of diggers. There's the roof of the cottage over there."

"That's the first time I've been able to see it," John said. "Where could they be digging? Didn't Emmett say Ted and Allen were out?"

Brian nodded. "They're probably lost in a snowdrift somewhere, knowing Schmidt," Brian snarked putting extra emphasis on Ted's name.

"Did I hear my name?" a voice called out.

"Is that you, Schmidt?"

"Bri?"

"Yeah, where the fuck are you?" Brian called.

"Over here!"

"Where's over here?" John and Brian craned their necks over the drifts but couldn't see anything. "I can't see you," Brian called.

"Keep talking," Ted called we're trying to come to you.

"John and I are in a bit of a clearing," Brian called, more so Ted could follow his voice than to give directions. "Do we sound any closer?"

"A bit," Allen called out. "Keep talking."

"What the fuck am I supposed to say?" Brian asked John. John shrugged and just smiled. "Schmidt, if you can hear my voice, get your ass over here!"

"Yes, Boss. Sure, Boss. On my way, Boss," they could hear Ted saying.

"They seem to be getting closer," John said hopefully.

"Schmidt, I'm waiting," Brian called.

"Be right there," Ted exclaimed as he broke through the drift and stood panting just behind Brian and John.

"You okay?" John asked.

"Bri," Ted gasped as he threw himself into Brian's arms.

"Let's not get fucking carried away," Brian replied, but he couldn't help returning Ted's hug.

Allen and John had a momentary clasp, before John had to ask, "Why were you way over there?" John pointed at the direction from which they had just come.

"More to the point, why are you guys way over here?" Ted retorted.

"Looks like we've been working at cross purposes," Brian said. "How far have you dug in that direction?"

"Quite a ways," Allen said as he caught his breath. "We were starting back to the cottage when we heard your voices."

"Can we connect with your trail?" John asked.

"I think so," Ted replied. "We just need to break through that drift." He pointed at the drift from which they had just emerged.

"Then let's get digging," John said.

The four of them made quick work connecting the two tunnels in the snow. Once they had joined up with the trail from Emmett's cottage they all walked in that direction. The cottage came into view partially buried under its blanket of snow.

"Christ, I don't think I've ever seen this much snow," Brian observed.

"That makes two of us," Allen contributed. "This has to be one of the worst winter storms ever."

"Emmett's had the radio on and they're saying the roads are still nearly impassable. They're gradually getting the interstates cleaned out, and some of the major roads," Ted explained.

"So you're telling me that it's going to be a while before they get around to our little road," Brian griped.

"And even longer before the plow can get into the lane," John added.

"Fuck!"

"But just think that we could have left your place and headed out into that storm," Allen said.

"Thank God you all decided to stay," John stated emphatically.

"Yeah, we're all safe and have a place to sleep, and heat and light," Ted ventured.

"I guess we have to be grateful," Brian said.

"Even if you're stuck with me?" Ted laughed.

"Even if…" Brian agreed.

As they walked up the path to Emmett's front door, it flew open and Emmett came barreling out. "Oh my fucking God! You found each other!" he shrieked and threw himself into Brian's arms. "I was so fucking worried." Emmett's arms stayed firmly clasped around Brian's neck.

"Honeycutt! Honeycutt!!! Let the fuck go," Brian demanded. Brian tried to pry Emmett's hands loose.

"Oh, um, sorry, Brian. I'm just so happy to see you."

"It's been what, all of eighteen hours?" Brian scoffed.

"I don't care, you big Meanie! I missed you."

"Missed you too, Honeycutt," Brian admitted with a smirk.

Emmett smiled enough to make up for the rapidly waning sun.

"You guys okay here?" John asked. "Anything you need?"

"We're good," Drew said as he came to the door with Hunter and Nick.

"You mean we're finally finished digging?" Hunter asked with a sigh.

"And you're the young ones," John scoffed, shaking his head.

"They'll never keep up with us old timers. Right, Bri?" Ted said with a grin.

"Speak for yourself, old man!" Brian retorted.

Everyone had a good chuckle over that, including Ted.

"We should get back," John said. "They'll be wondering what's happened to us."

"Do you want to join us for dinner?" Brian asked. "We could probably rustle up a real feast out of what we have left over."

"That sounds like a plan," Allen said.

"Partay!" Emmett replied snapping his fingers over his head.

Brian groaned. "A real extravaganza!"

"What else do I have?" Emmett asked indignantly.

"We're heading back," John said. "You guys come when you're ready. Stay in a group. Ted and Allen can show you where to cut across to our trail. Make sure you have several flashlights."

"Yes, Daddy," Hunter smirked earning him a scowl from John.

"See you all at the cottage," Nick called as Brian and John headed out.

"It's so good to be home and with our friends," Emmett said wiping a tear from his eye.

"It's okay, Emmett. We'll all get safely to Edna's treasures and you can work your magic with dinner." Drew hugged his weepy partner.

"Let's get started," Emmett replied suddenly flashing a big grin on his formerly somber face.

They all headed inside to get their coats and boots and mitts and flashlights and…

While the drama was unfolding at Emmett's end of the lane, Rachel and George's end was relatively quiet. The digging out crew led by Bobby had completed clearing up the path between the cottage and the house. John let Bobby know about the impending extravaganza, so Rachel and her guests decided to bring their own contributions to the feast. The dinner, while a lot simpler than the Christmas feast, was no less impressive.

Joan had expertly carved up the leftover turkey to make sandwiches all day long for the shovelers. But there was still plenty of meat left on one side. Finding a sharp pair of poultry shears, Joan cut the bird in half, taking the bones to make the basis for soup stock. For most of the afternoon she had the carcass in a large pot boiling away. She had the added convenience of a variety of fresh herbs, courtesy of Brian's indoor version of his spice garden. He had several small pots on the large sill of the big window in the living room. Between Joan and Debbie's magic, everyone was guaranteed at least one large bowl of the soothing soup. Just the thing after a long hard day of labor out in the cold.

And there was plenty more leftovers. Between the four homes, there would be enough food to keep everyone full for the week.

"Hellooo-oo!" Emmett called out as he and the occupants of his cottage walked through the front door of Brian's end of Edna's Treasures. "Anybody home?!"

"Honeycutt, are you getting my floor all wet and dirty?" Brian bellowed with little bite to his bark. "It took us hours to get it all cleaned up!"

"Oh pooh! I thought you got over that little obsession of yours regarding your hard-wood years ago!" Emmett quipped loudly for all to hear, and relishing the giggles his double entendre had produced.

Brian was about to let one fly but instead planted a wet sloppy kiss on the big queen's cheek effectively rendering the man speechless.

"Gotcha!" Brian stated as he took all their coats and ushered his friends into the sun porch where the rest of the family was milling around and preparing the table for dinner.

Everyone was pitching in, in one way or another and those who had nothing to do were just staying clear of the flow of traffic.

Hector was making himself useful by helping to set up the 'kids' table with Justin.

"Justin, I've heard many of you refer to the cottage as Edna's Treasures. Who is Edna?" Justin's face took on a wistful expression. "Did I ask something painful?"

"No, not at all. Edna was an amazing woman we met when we traveled through Panama. We didn't know it at the time but she also knew Katerina and her family. She was the wife of a missionary and she helped us in our quest to follow the path of the artist Kinney and his lover, Patrick. Just before she died, she had discovered more paintings. She left us a legacy. I wanted to honor her memory." Justin paused as he remembered the feistiness of the wonderful old broad.

"If you're interested, we've compiled a large file on Kinney and Patrick. It includes the villages they passed through and many chapels they painted. Katerina and her brother, JP, contributed copies of Patrick's letters and journals too."

"I'd love to see it. Many of my family come from Central and South America. It would be an honor to see what you've learned."

Justin smiled brightly. They finished setting the table then joined the rest of the family in bringing out the various dishes they would have for dinner.



*****



"Why does this remind me of summer camp?" Danny remarked as platter after platter was being shuffled around from person to person, starting from opposite ends of the table.

"Please sir, I want some more!" Carl added in a high pitched voice, eliciting a hail of giggles.

"Who's got the bug juice?" Owen called out, causing Debbie to burst out laughing.

"I can't believe you know what bug juice is?" Debbie cried. "The Owen Brenner, son-in-law of the Sarah Kingsley knows what bug juice is! Un-fucking believable." Owen smiled knowingly as he held a large bowl of mashed potatoes so that Sharon could place a helping on their plates.

"Okay, I'll bite, what is bug juice?" Dr. Nick asked in all ignorance, looking at his friends and partner. None of them had a clue.

"I guess it's a generational thing. As a kid my parents would send me to a 'sleep away' camp for a couple of weeks in the summer. We did the typical camp things, swimming in some muddy frog and turtle filled lake. Boating, which meant sitting in a dented old rowboat and trying not to capsize or lose an oar."

"Sounds way too familiar," Danny chuckled.

"Archery, making ash trays and having three god-awful meals a day in the cafeteria. Cold powdered eggs and limp bacon for breakfast."

"Eiw! Yuck!" several people exclaimed.

"Pizza that tasted like cardboard for lunch."

"Sacrilege!" Ted said.

"And greasy hamburgers and soggy buns for dinner. To wash it all down we were given the camp version of Kool-aid. Bug juice! You remember how sickly sweet it was and it was always green or orange. No matter what the color it always tasted horrible!" Owen shuddered at the thought. So did Danny.

"I have red Kool-aid, Mr. Owen," Bree called out from her table. "I can bring you some. I share!"

"Why thank you, Miss Briana, I may just have some later." Bree beamed.

Platters continued to make their rounds as the family shared more stories and got to know each other better.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 8



Dinner was winding down. The family and friends had enjoyed each others' company and had shared experiences and stories. Brian decided it was time for some brandy for all the hard workers who had shoveled so diligently all day long. He slipped out of his seat and went to the bar in the living room. He pulled out a large bottle of Courvoisier Imperiale XO. With a smile he headed to the kitchen, taking a moment for a brief word with Emmett who was stacking the dishwasher. Then he headed for the sun porch.

"We deserve a treat for all the effort that everyone put forth today, so I'm cracking open this lovely bottle of cognac." With that Brian twisted off the lid. "We should be drinking this from fine crystal, but as the hard working sods we are, we'll use whatever glass you have handy."

Brian started around the table pouring a small portion of the amber liquid into each person's extended glass.

"Me too, Dada," Bree said holding up her glass.

"'Fraid not, Squirt, but how about some of that red Kool-aid?"

"'Kay, Dada," Bree said as Emmett brought a pitcher of the Kool-aid from the kitchen.

"Can I have a taste of the cognac?" Gus asked.

Brian glanced at Melanie and Lindsay who shrugged. "Just a sip," Brian said pouring his son a taste of the liquor. Gus smiled at him. "Don't drink it too fast or you'll choke." Gus took the advice as it was intended.

When everyone had something to drink, Brian said, "We need a toast."

"I have one," Justin volunteered.

Brian smiled at him. "Go ahead, Sunshine."

Justin stood and raised his glass. "To a Christmas that we will never forget, and to friends new and old."

Bree sat at the kids' table listening intently to her father. She frowned as she thought about what she wanted to do.

"Cheers!" Everyone toasted as they took a sip of their cognac or Kool-aid as the case might be.

Gus did his best not to choke, but he had to cough a bit after the first taste. "I think I'll have Kool-aid from now on," he said once he had tasted the cognac. It wasn't quite what he had expected.

"How can you prefer Kool-aid to thirty year old cognac?" Brian laughed.

"The Kool-aid goes down a lot more smoothly," Gus replied, now understanding why his father had warned him about choking.

"That'll warm the cockles of your heart," Sharon said taking another sip of the rich old cognac.

"Did someone say cock?" Brian asked perking up.

"That was cockles," Raph laughed.

"Shucks," Brian joked.

"I have a toast, Daddy," Bree said standing up.

"You do?" Justin asked. Everyone smiled at the little doll who seemed so serious about her toast. "What do you want to say, sweetheart."

"I want to toast to Mr. and Mrs. Owen and Mr. Raph and Mr. Hector. I want them to come for Christmas next year and from now on," Bree stated in her best public speaking voice that she had learned at school.

"Here, here!" people toasted which made Bree smile.

"That was extremely sweet, Miss Briana," Owen said wiping a tear from his eye.

"Very," Hector and Raph agreed, also feeling a little choked up.

Sharon took another sip to help swallow the lump in her throat.

The cognac went down very well after that making everyone mellow. The conversation continued as they sipped the liquor.

"Mr. Owen, want a taste of my Kool-aid?" Bree asked carrying her glass over to Owen.

"I'd love one," Owen said taking the glass and tasting the sweet, red liquid. "Just like I remember it."

"Good," Bree said taking back her glass and having a drink herself. "I share."

"Yes you do. You're a very lovely little girl."

Bree smiled and batted her eyelashes. Brian and Justin beamed with pride.

"I think it's time for someone to go to bed," Justin said.

"No, Daddy," Bree replied shaking her head. "Stay up."

"Briana!" Justin said raising an eyebrow.

"Pweeze," Bree wheedled.

"No baby talk," Brian said sternly.

Everyone watched to see how the two men would handle the little princess who had them thoroughly wound around her finger.

"Please, fathers, may I stay up?" Bree asked in all seriousness and her best formal enunciation.

Everyone did their best to stifle their giggles.

Brian swallowed a laugh. "Well, since this is the storm of the century, and a once in a lifetime event…" Brian looked over at Justin who smiled and nodded.

"How about another hour before you have to go to bed?" Justin asked.

"Thank you, Daddy," Bree replied crawling onto his lap.

"And no complaining when the hour's up," Brian informed her.

"No, Dada."

"Good girl," Justin said kissing the top of Bree's head.

Conversation gradually picked up again. Brian drained the bottle of cognac for those who wanted more. The evening wound on until John came in from his side of the house. No one had noticed him leave until he cleared his throat like he wanted to make an announcement. They all turned to face him.

"I was just listening to the weather. There will be some more snow tonight if they're right."

Everyone groaned. Many "fucks" were heard from various quarters.

"However," John continued, "it won't be much. We may have to clear a bit but nothing like today."

"Thank the fucking Lord," Debbie said much to Joan's disapproval.

"That's better than I thought it was going to be when you started that statement," Owen commented.

"I do think we have another job that needs to be done once we make sure the tracks between the houses are cleared out," John informed them.

"What's that, big bro'? Brian asked.

"We need to dig out the vehicles."

"Shit!" Ted responded. "I thought I was done digging for a day or two."

"It's good for you, Schmidt. You spend too much time behind that desk of yours," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"And you should be grateful that I do, Boss."

"Oh, I am … eternally."

"Back to the subject of the vehicles," John interrupted. "They may get our road cleared tomorrow and if they do, Rob, the plow guy will be here soon after. He needs to be able to see where the cars are. He's going to have enough trouble finding a place to plow all the snow out of the way."

"I have acres, "Brian said.

"Yeah, with lots of trees blocking where he can push the snow."

"Point taken," Brian agreed. "We start on cars in the morning."

"Right now, I think we should dance," Emmett called out as he hit play on the sound system. "May I have this dance, Miss Briana?"

Bree smiled and nodded. She liked dancing with her Auntie Emm. He lifted her up and waltzed her around the room. Soon others began to join in. The tons of snow outside were easily forgotten … until the morning.



*****



Brian realized the news about more snow really put a damper on the night's festive mood, no pun intended. He decided to break open a bottle of a fine dessert wine, hoping the mellow feelings would continue until everyone retired. Emmett had a supply of easily heated canapés in Brian's freezer which went well with the wine. Bobby made sure the music was soothing and conducive for dancing. With the lights turned down low and the Christmas lights twinkling in the corner, tranquility reigned again.

Justin sat off in a corner on one of the loungers with his sketchpads and pencils, under a small spotlight. He had an afghan thrown across his legs and feet. Gus had helped Bree into her fluffiest pajamas. She had decided to spend the rest of her 'hour' nestled on Justin's lap. It wasn't long until Bree had squirmed her way lower and buried herself under the afghan. Justin, inspired by the day and by his family was furiously sketching.

"Want some hot cocoa, honey?" Jennifer asked her son.

"Mmm," Justin grunted paying little attention as he worked on a drawing of the snowman crew. A mug of hot cocoa appeared on a small snack tray beside him.

"Sweetie, would you like a cheese puff?" Emmett asked the artist who was now sketching Raph and Hector as they shoveled their way toward Rachel's house.

"Uhh," Justin mumbled. A few cheese puffs became the cocoa's temporary companion.

Raphael was sitting on a large cushion near the tree observing Justin's total submersion into his art. Brian sauntered by with a pot of coffee.

"Brian?" Raph motioned for Brian to join him for a moment. Brian delivered the coffee to the table then returned to Raph. He sat on the edge of the cushion.

"What can I do for you?" Brian said, waggling his eyebrows.

"Nothing that wouldn't get the both of us in deep shit higher than those snow drifts," Raph returned without missing a beat. Brian chuckled. "I'm curious, does Justin always get that self absorbed when he's drawing? His concentration is amazing. I'm fascinated watching him."

Brian and Raph looked over at the artist who had paused for a second to take a sip of cocoa and to pop a cheese puff in his mouth. He seemed surprised that refreshments had been delivered. He had no idea when but smiled serenely at the thoughtfulness of the family.

"In a word? Yup! You are witnessing Justin Taylor in full artist mode. There have been times when he becomes so wrapped up in his art that he forgets to eat, sleep and even pee. I can't tell you how many times I've had to literally drag the boy to the bathroom. I'm so afraid that one day he's going to burst his bladder. It's one of the reasons I like to work from home. So I can keep an eye on him. I am very lucky that I have good people working for me. I can afford to run the company from my home office."

Just then Ted walked by with a small sandwich in his hand. He overheard Brian's compliment.

"Thank you, Boss!" Ted said as he took a large bite out of his sandwich.

"Haven't you pigged out enough today, Schmidt?!" Brian growled at his CFO.

"Got to stoke the furnace, Bri. Gonna need these muscles in the morning," Ted said as he struck a body building pose with the sandwich held firmly in his hand.

"Gonna need a little work on that stance of yours, Teddy," Ben said as he passed Ted then took the sandwich.

"Hey!" Ted exclaimed as onlookers broke out into laughs. Ted forgot about the pose and went to rescue his purloined sandwich.

"As I was saying," Brian continued as he shook his head laughing, "the boy gets all caught up in his art to the exclusion of most everything else. It's what makes him so good," Brian said proudly.

"I can see that. Tell me more about your famous ancestor." Raphael was sincerely interested.

"Well, I have to go back to what we call Justin's Sunshine Files..."



*****



"Jus? Justin?" Gus said gently so not to awaken his sister or startle Justin who was busy on another sketch, this one of Joan handing Brian his hot cocoa earlier in the day.

"Hmm?" Justin looked up at Gus and blinked.

"Let me take Bree; she's asleep. Patrick's already in bed." Justin smiled at Gus as he nodded. Gus picked up his sleeping sister then leaned her closer so that Justin could kiss her good night.

"Thank you, Gus," Justin whispered.

"Anytime, Jus," Gus said as held the sleeping angel close then took her to his room.



*****



Katerina and Hector were sitting in the kitchen at the table. They were sipping their own cocoa. Katerina had Justin's binders containing the accumulated research and journals he had amassed. Hector found it fascinating and had knowledge of some of the towns the boys had visited while on their quest. They were soon joined by Owen and Danny.

"This is amazing," Danny said, as he flipped through one binder that held many photos of the chapels and church walls that Kinney had painted. "I wasn't in Pittsburgh at the time of the Kinney auction but I did read about it. The proceeds went to a very worthy cause."

"And you can trace your family's line back to Patrick Taylor?" Owen asked Katerina.

"Yes. My family is directly related to Patrick. We believe, Justin and his father are related to Patrick's father via a second marriage."

"It's a wonder so much art work has survived." Owen was flipping through another binder. "And look at these journal entries; it's like looking back in time."

As Katerina continued to regale Owen, Hector and Danny, Mel and Lindsay were cuddling on the sofa in front of the fire.

"Lindz, I promise the minute we're back to civilization, I'll contact Brian's travel agent and have her book us a flight and into that B&B that Brian recommends."

"You mean it?" Lindsay couldn't believe that not only was Melanie serious about their vacation but that Mel would call Brian's agent and take Brian's suggestion.

"Yes, I mean it. If it's good enough for Brian Kinney and the boys then it's good enough for us. You're right, we need time on our own, to reconnect. I'm so sorry I've been such a bitch lately. I have no excuse except for my own pig-headedness. There's nothing more important than you and our children."

"Oh Mel, I love you so much," Lindsay purred as she hugged Melanie closer.

"I love you too, Lindz. I know I don't say it often enough but I promise to change that. And I promise to take more notice of the kids. You're so right about JR. I took her for some last minute shopping and that's when it hit me. She's so grown up and becoming very sophisticated and I know that's because of you. She may be my biological daughter but her poise, grace and sense of style is because of you. Even the way she carries herself when she's walking. And I almost missed it all. Damn, Lindz, even Brian learned from his mistakes with Gus when he was small. They're so close, a real father and son relationship. And I turned a blind eye to it all. I refused to admit that Brian was sincere in his pursuit of becoming a real father to Gus. And now with Briana, it's like you and JR. Anyone who spends more than five minutes in their company can see how devoted he is to her."

"He refuses to miss any part of her life," Lindsay said gently seeing the guilt that Melanie harbored.

"I understand that now. I've been so stupid."

"No, Melanie, not stupid."

"Selfish, then. So selfish that I nearly lost the most important people in my life. You tried to tell me, but I never listened. Well, I'm listening now, Lindsay."

The girls kissed, Melanie gently caressing Lindsay's face.

"Awe, damn, icky lesbian shit on my sofa now!" Brian whined. The girls giggled as Brian fled the room.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 9


It was getting close to ten. The occupants of the cottage could hear the wind begin to howl. A few small snowflakes started swirling around the clearings that had been dug out of the snow.

"Brian, we should get back to the house," George said as his group started bundling up.

"Okay, we'll see you in the morning. You have enough flashlights?"

"We're fine," George said with confidence. Their trek was short, however Bobby and John decided to walk with them. Within twenty-five minutes John and Bobby were back at the cottage.

"We should get going too," Drew began. "Our trip is longer." Drew and Emmett's bunch began to bundle up, fortifying themselves against the elements.

"I want Beau to go with you," John offered. "As soon as you get to your door, tell him to go home and he'll come right back," John instructed Drew and Emmett.

"But isn't it dangerous for him?" Emmett asked as he petted the large dog on the head. Emmett had grown very fond of the bear-like dog.

"No, he has a very thick undercoat. He'll be fine for the short time he's out there and I'd feel better knowing he's with you. He'll alert us if you get into any trouble. With you all wearing thick gloves you may not be able to use your phones well. And it's very dark," John insisted.

"Wait, I have an idea," Bobby began then sprinted to his end of the cottage. He was back in a flash with a couple of light necklaces, the type you get at clubs or what kids wear at Halloween. "We had a few of these left over from when the kids went Trick or Treating."

Bobby snapped the ends of the necklaces to begin the chemical reaction that activated the light. The light would last for a few hours, plenty of time for Beau to lead the guys to Emmett's and then come home again. Bobby attached the two necklaces together to make one large enough to go around Beau's neck and secured it to Beau's collar so it wouldn't slip off.

"There, that should do it," Bobby said, satisfied with Beau's new accessory. Beau didn't seem to mind his temporary necklace at all.

The guys were saying good night to the family remaining at the cottage, when John knelt down to give Beau instructions.

"Guide them home, boy, then come right back," John said softly but firmly to the large dog. Beau looked solemnly at John as if he knew the important task he was given. He wagged his tail and placed his muzzle into John's palm. "You're a good boy, Beau. Protect them."

The guys started their trek down the lane with Beau leading the way.



*****



"Hello?"

"John, it's Drew, we're here, safe and sound. Beau's on his way back. And thank you for sending him with us. Even with the flashlights, we didn't see the small opening where the two paths joined. Beau saw it and led us through. He's one hell of a dog. He deserves an extra treat when he gets back. He took off running as soon as we were in the door and Emmett told him to go home. Is he there yet?"

"No, not yet...oh, wait...he just came through his doggie door. He's fine, Drew. I'll give him that treat. I'm glad you're safe. Stay warm and we'll see you in the morning."

"Night, John."

"Good night, Drew."

John hung up the phone then saw to Beau. Leading the dog into their bathroom, John took out 'Beau's towel' to dry off the large dog. He paid special attention to Beau's feet, making sure ice or the rock salt they had thrown down didn't cut the pads. Satisfied that nothing was amiss, John led Beau to his cushion and commanded that he lay down.

Taking a large ham bone out of his refrigerator, John presented Beau with his reward.

"You're a good boy, Beau," John said as he patted the dog on the head. Beau happily began to gnaw on his bone.



*****



As with the previous night, everyone took turns using the bathrooms and preparing for bed. Everyone took up their same assigned bedrooms except for Owen and Sharon. They insisted on switching with Jennifer and Joan so that Joan wouldn't have to climb the spiral staircase. Joan graciously accepted.

With the cottage settling in for the night, coffeemaker timers all set, the occupants of Edna's Treasures retired for the night.

"Night, Seth," Brian said.

"Good night, Brian," Seth returned. "Night, Justin."

"Night, Seth," Justin answered.

"Night, Raph, Hector," Brian said.

"Night!" the two in the brass bed called out.

"Night, Sharon, Owen!" Brian directed his call to his balcony. They heard giggling then...

"Good night, Brian and Justin!" Sharon and Owen said in unison. The sun porch dorm giggles became louder.

"Good night, Bobby," Seth called out aiming at John's balcony.

"Good night, everyone." Bobby tried to be practical, having an inkling of how this was going to end.

"Good night, John-boy!" everyone called out, unable to resist the joke. When the laughter calmed down...

"I'll get you for this, Kinney," John growled then added his giggles to the rest of the family's.

"Woof!" Beau contributed his sentiments. The family finally settled and went to sleep.



*****



Brian awoke with a start. The wind was howling around the outside of the sun porch. A tree limb banged on the roof of the cottage.

"Shit!" he muttered. The trails they had dug out were going to be blown full again. The only good thing was that it wasn't snowing, at least not much as far as he could see through the windows. There were still some flakes swirling outside, but it was hard to tell if they were new or were part of what had already fallen and were being blown around by the wind.

"What's the matter, Bri?" Justin asked sleepily.

"Didn't mean to wake you," Brian said gently as he pulled Justin against him and made sure he was covered with the quilt. The chaise was conducive to togetherness but not really to a good night's sleep.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked again.

"Just the wind. Go back to sleep."

"'Kay," Justin replied snuggling up against his husband.

Brian waited a while until he was sure Justin had fallen back to sleep. Once he was sure Justin was in slumberland, he gently eased himself out from under his mate. That was no easy task, as Justin didn't seem to want to let go of him. When he finally was free, he stood up carefully. He looked down at Justin's handsome face so soft in the moonlight. He felt his heart fill with love. It was something he had never intended to experience, something he had known for years he wasn't entitled to. Joan and Jack had taught him that oh so many years ago. But somehow, in spite of everything, this wonderful man/boy had found him and made him love him. Yes, made him. There was no doubt in Brian's mind that without Justin's early tenacity they never would have ended up together. Brian had been quite willing to kick Justin out after that first night they spent together. He had intended never to have anything more to do with him. But Justin had other ideas. And thank the gods he did. Brian couldn't even imagine where he would be now and what his life would be like if Justin had given up on him.

With a gentle smile on his face, Brian tucked the quilt around Justin. He padded quietly to the end of the sun porch to look out at the winter night. Beau raised his head as he heard Brian pass by.

"Go back to sleep, Dog," Brian whispered. "Everything's all right."

He stopped at the door of the sun porch and stared out at the snowdrifts. The moon drifted lazily, a silver shadow high in the sky. Black clouds scudded across it from time to time as he watched.

"Quite beautiful, isn't it?" a voice behind him said.

"Shit! You scared me."

"Sorry," Seth laughed quietly. "I was watching the sky and listening to the wind when I saw you get up."

"That chaise seemed like a good idea, but it's fucking uncomfortable," Brian whispered.

"We've kind of taken over your life."

"Yeah," Brian admitted. "But I'd much rather have you here with us than stuck out in the storm, with us worrying ourselves sick."

"You would worry, wouldn't you?" Seth asked.

"Of course," Brian replied with a frown. "Why would you ask that?"

"I've heard of your reputation as…"

"A cold heartless bastard," Brian supplied.

Seth chuckled. "Something like that. But I've seen a very different side of you, with Emmett's business and at the wedding, with your daughter and husband."

"Thanks," Brian said.

"Brian, I have to tell you that I'm very interested in Jennifer."

"Anyone who isn't blind can see that," Brian replied with a twinkle in his eye.

"Am I that obvious?"

"'Fraid so."

"Anyway," Seth sighed. "I wondered how you felt about me and Jennifer, you know, together."

"What do I have to do with it?" Brian asked.

"You could be my son-in-law if all goes well."

"Fuck!" Brian reacted.

"You…you don't like the idea?" Seth asked feeling like Brian was putting the kibosh on any plans he might have with Jennifer.

"No, it's not that. Shouldn't you be talking to Justin about this?"

"Justin's not standing here in the middle of the night."

Brian chuckled. "You have my seal of approval for what it's worth, and it's not worth much."

"I'll take it," Seth laughed. He squeezed Brian's shoulder. "Thank you."

"I think you need to be talking to Mother Taylor, not to me or Justin."

"Yeah, but I'm pretty much of a coward in the romance department."

"She likes you, Seth. I can see it on her face when she looks at you."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Go for it."

"I'll take that under advisement," Seth said slowly.

"Don't wait too long. Happiness isn't something to put on hold."

"That's good advice."

"I hope so."

"Thanks."

"I should try to go back to sleep. Looks like there'll be some more shoveling in the morning."

"Yeah, but I don't think sleep is in the cards for me," Seth said.

"I didn't take you for an insomniac," Brian chuckled.

"I'm not … usually. But when I wake up at … 4 am," Seth said looking at his watch, "I know I'm not likely to get back to sleep."

"Me either," Brian admitted. "This is the time of night I'd kill for a cigarette."

"Didn't know you smoked."

"I don't … anymore. Used to … long, long ago in another lifetime."

Seth nodded knowingly. "If I was home, I'd go read a book or watch infomercials."

"The only place we don't have people sleeping is in the kitchen. Let's go make a pot of coffee."

"Sounds good to me," Seth said with a smile. "Got a deck of cards?"

"Yeah, somewhere, why?"

"I'll teach you to play pinochle," Seth said as they tiptoed past the sleeping bodies in the sun porch.

"How do you know I don't already know how to play pinochle?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"Only about one person in a million knows that old card game."

"Haven't you heard? I'm one in a million," Brian laughed as he turned off the timer on one of the coffee pots and started the coffee dripping.

"Now, that's something I totally believe," Seth said with a big smile.

That was how Justin found them a couple of hours later, sitting at the kitchen table playing pinochle and drinking coffee.


Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Chapter 10


After all the hard work the family did the previous day, they all took their time getting up. So instead of putting breakfast on the table, Brian decided that buffet style was more practical. And if things went well, they wouldn't be providing dinner later that night. If the roads were cleared and the plow guy could make it through, the cottage would be their own tonight. If not, Brian was planning on doing a lot of grilling later. Thanks to Emmett's ever preparedness, the cottage was well stocked in large chafing dishes. Breakfast was lined up on display on the counter and on the kitchen table. Everyone could help themselves.

"John, how do we dig out all these cars?" Brian asked his older and oh so wiser brother.

"I suggest we don't," John answered.

"What?"

"Rob is concerned that he'll plow into a car. We just need to mark out where the cars are so he doesn't hit any. Once the road is clear, he'll tow each car out and line them up one by one. Bri, we're tired, we're all tired. Every bone, every muscle in my body is screaming and I do a lot of manual labor. I do not want my mother or Steve to be digging out that old truck of theirs. Nor do I want Debbie and Carl digging any more than necessary. Make sense?"

"I suppose but how do we mark the cars?"

"Did I ever tell you I was an Eagle Scout when I was a kid?" John held up a large roll of bright hot pink crepe paper. "A leftover from one of Bree's parties. And I have plenty more where that came from. We do a little brushing to find the edges of the car, mark it and then move onto the next. If Rob gets here today, this lot will be gone by afternoon." John smiled as he made his last statement. The Kinney boys had no real objections to the family invasion.

"An Eagle Scout, huh?" Brian took off toward Rachel's house as quickly as he could given the snow and icy conditions.

"Hey, where ya going?" John called out after him. He had found the first car and armed with a car brush, was preparing to start cleaning.

"To find Claire!" Brian called over his shoulder, trying to move even faster.

"Claire," John mumbled. "What do you want with my mother?" John bellowed, receiving a most evil type laugh in return. "Hey!"

"Pictures, big bro! I want to see if she has pictures of you in your scout uniform in her wallet!"

"You....you....," John began.

"Forget it, sweetheart, just let him go," Jennifer said as she approached John. "Let him have his fun. I think this is my car, let me help." John nodded then Jennifer and John began to clean off her car. However, John began to plot his revenge.

Brian was looking rather smug as he returned to the road and began to dig out another car. It had to be Debbie and Carl's car; there was a rainbow colored antenna ball on it. As he began brushing off the edges, Carl and John came over. John handed Brian a roll of crepe paper. They made short work of marking off the car.

The sun was shining brilliantly and although it was still rather cold, some of the snow was melting. The family was all taking turns helping to clear more path, marking cars or handling domestic chores. There was laundry to do, lunch and other snacks to be made and lots and lots of dishes to be dealt with.

"John, I just got off the phone with Rob." Bobby was all smiles. He had run out of the cottage as John was marking off Steve's truck.

"I take it, it's good news?" John smiled back, giving his fiery red-head a sizzling kiss that warmed Bobby to the core.

"The best. The highways are clear. No snow is predicted for a while, although that means little after this storm. And Rob is on his way. He should be here in an hour. The only problem is where is he going to put all the snow?"

"I may have the answer to that one."

"Drew! Where did you come from?" John asked as he and Drew shook hands.

"From the path we dug," Drew said.

"So where do you think Rob can push all the snow?" Bobby asked.

"Remember when your crew was constructing our cottage, instead of storing the equipment on the lane, they made a clearing to hold it all. It's relatively flat, no trees to get in the way and it's far enough from our fence. The only problem is how to mark the spot so Rob sees it?"

"Broomsticks." The boys turned toward the voice as Brian stepped out from behind a drift. "Broomsticks with John's crepe paper tied to them. Stake them out far enough then Rob can aim his plow in between them," Brian said with confidence.

"Little brother, if I haven't said it before, I'll say it now. You're a genius!" John exclaimed.

"I know," Brian smirked.



*****



It was shortly after lunch when Rob showed up. Starting at Emmett's end of the lane, Rob began to clear the road. There was nothing anyone could do but just stay out of the way. With the cars all clearly marked as well as the edges of each property, Rob had a good idea of where to plow or not to plow. It took a few hours but the private lane was finally cleared.

The next task was to pull out each car. The Liberty Avenue contingent got first priority. They wanted to get back before it got too dark. Ted was anxious to get back to Kinnetik and Allen had a few concerts coming up. Hunter needed to get back to the clinic. The center had a special New Year's celebration planned. And although Claire, Steve, Dan and Emily had no objection to prolonging their visit, the family did not want to impose any longer than necessary on Edna's Treasures' hospitality.

As each vehicle was cleared and towed into the center of the lane, the family continued their preparations to leave. Jennifer and Justin took that time to spend together. She helped Justin sort through all the sketches he had made, rolling them up then tying them with ribbon and a label.

John finally got his opportunity for revenge for the 'John-boy' incident. Brian was going from car to car making sure they started up and wipers were operational. As he exited Seth's car, Brian was smacked in the back of the head with a snowball.

"What the...!" Brian exclaimed as another snowball sailed past his head and hit the side of Seth's car. Brian quickly ducked down then a few seconds later shot back up throwing a barrage of small snowballs at John. Two connected to John's chest.

"Damn you, Kinney!" John laughed as he sprinted toward the cottage, ducking behind a drift then pitching several snowballs back at Brian.

"Can't get me, old man!" Brian goaded John then answered the assault with a few more snowballs.

As the boys continued their game of war, Joan was gathering up her belongings. She placed her bag by the cottage door, and spied the boys at play. Claire had come by to say her goodbyes. She was sitting at the table sipping tea. She was also gifted with a Justin Taylor sketch.

"Claire, would you join me please?" Joan motioned for Claire to join her by the large front window.

John and Brian were still playing their war games when Brian slipped and landed in a snow bank. John was laughing uncontrollably but extended his hand to Brian. Brian firmly clasped John's hand, seemingly accepting John's aid. With a jerk of his hand, Brian pulled John down into the snow.

Jack Kinney's boys were lying in the snow, laughing wildly and making snow angels.

Claire smiled warmly at Joan, shaking her head at the brothers' antics. It wasn't all that long ago when tension between the two women ran high, having nothing in common other than having borne Jack's sons. While not fast friends, they shared something very important, their love for the sons of Jack Kinney.

"Boys will be boys," Claire said.

"Yes, I suppose they always will," Joan confirmed. "We are very blessed."

"Yes we are and in so many ways," Claire reaffirmed as a bundled up Briana and Patrick ran out the front door to their daddies.

The brothers Kinney played in the snow with their children.



*****



The Pittsburgh contingent was about ready to leave. All the cars had been cleaned off and warmed up. They had all decided to travel back in convoy just in case anyone had any problems. The roads were reported as satisfactory with some snowy and maybe slippery sections, but once they got on the interstate they would be fine.

Justin was handing out his rolled up sketches as everyone had their hats, coats and boots ready to be donned. People started unrolling the sketches and gasping at the moments that Justin had captured for them. His sketches were as meticulous as ever, and everyone gushed with praise for his work. They all said they would have them framed and placed somewhere that would honor the person who had drawn the pictures. Justin beamed with pride, as did Brian who was standing right beside him.

"Thanks, sweetie," Debbie said giving Justin a kiss. "This was quite the fucking Christmas!"

"It sure was," Michael concurred giving Brian a hug. Ben nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," Justin chuckled as he shook Carl's hand pulling him into a hug.

"You were the hero of the moment, kiddo," Debbie told Brian.

"Everybody pitched in," Brian replied. He didn't like being singled out when the whole group had worked so hard during and after the storm.

"Yeah, everybody did," Owen Sr. said, shaking hands all round.

"I love the sketch, Justin," Sharon gushed. "Thank you so much. And thanks for putting us up for the couple of days. I can't imagine being stuck some place on the road. It was much cozier and nicer here."

"You're welcome," Brian smirked, knowing that they had been crowded, but had got along surprisingly well.

"I'd say 'let's do this again'," Dr. Raph laughed, "but I'm sure nobody wants to do it again anytime soon." He shook hands with their hosts.

"You were most generous, Brian, Justin, John and Bobby. You made us feel very welcome," Hector explained.

"No problem," everyone replied.

"See you at Kinnetik soon," Ted said as he gave Brian a perfunctory hug.

"Count on it, Schmidt, but not for a week or two."

Ted and Allen headed for their car along with Hunter and Nick.

Melanie and Lindsay gave kisses all around, even Melanie condescending to buss Brian's cheek. With a "thanks for everything", they made their way to their car with JR and Danny. Gus was staying with his father for a few days more.

Seth, Jennifer, Katerina and Joan were about to leave. Jennifer hugged her son and then Bree who seemed a little lost by everyone going away. She had had so much fun with all her family there that she didn't like the idea of them all going home.

Seth shook hands and gave Brian a knowing nod. Brian wondered how long it would be before the man made his move on Jennifer. Joan kissed her family and pulled on her boots with a little help from Briana who hugged her Gamma Joan again and again, much to Joan's delight.

They finally headed for Seth's car which would bring up the rear of the convoy. All the remaining guests watched the cars start down the freshly plowed lane.

"It's so sad," Emmett said wiping at his eyes.

"What's sad, Honeycutt?" Brian demanded.

"We'll be all alone in the cottage," Emmett sniffed.

"Well, don't be coming up here to keep us company. Justin and I have some serious fucking to do. We've been on our best behavior for days now," Brian snarked.

"Two measly days," Emmett reacted.

"Take him home and show him what I've been missing," Brian ordered Drew.

"We'll catch a ride down the lane with you, Dr. Morrison, if that's all right," Drew grinned. "I have my marching orders and I need to get started right away."

"Eiw," Gus said. "You guys are so gross."

"Let's get going," Dr. Morrison said as he headed for his car.

Claire and Steve were right behind. They waved to the remaining group as they got in Steve's truck. Rachel and her family headed for home as Dr. Morrison's car started down the lane.

Brian and Justin, John and Bobby, Bree and Patrick and Gus stood at the front door of Edna's Treasures and waved to Claire and Steve as their truck, being the last vehicle of the impromptu guests, headed down the lane through the freshly plowed track that Rob had created. Aside from the massive snowbanks on each side of the lane, the roadway was clear and easy to negotiate. Rob had done a wonderful job of clearing the snow and moving the huge amounts of snow into the area Drew had marked off.

Brian let out a sigh. "They're finally gone," he said.

"And you enjoyed every minute of having them here," Justin said kissing Brian's cheek.

"Yeah, Pop," Gus laughed. "I haven't seen you have so much fun in a long time."

"Yeah," Brian snarked. "I just love shoveling snow twelve hours a day."

"So what are you going to do now?" Bobby asked.

"I think I need a nap," Brian replied immediately, waggling his eyebrows at Justin.

Justin grinned knowing what that nap would entail. "I could join you in one of those."

"My thoughts exactly," Brian replied.

"I'll get a snack for the kids and we can play video games," Gus volunteered. "We'll get you up for dinner."

"Good boy," Brian said with a big smile.

"If you're looking after the kids, Gus, I think we could use a nap too," John said. "It's been a hard couple of days."

"Very hard," Brian replied thrusting his hips forward to make his point.

"Come on, guys," Gus said to the children. "We need to find snacks."

"Not healthy ones?" Bree asked hopefully.

"Whatever you want, right, Pop?"

"This time, yeah, whatever you want, Squirt."

"Me too," Patrick piped in. He got an approving nod from his fathers as the kids headed for the kitchen.

"Bedroom, now!" Brian ordered.

With an angelic smile Justin followed his husband.

"Let's get going," Bobby said taking John's hand and leading him towards their end of Edna's Treasures.

Some time later Brian and Justin lay in their four poster on nice clean sheets wrapped in each other's arms.

"That was a ten," Justin said sleepily.

"At least," Brian smirked. "And I think I have another ten left in me."

"I thought we were going to nap," Justin yawned. Brian had worn him out.

"That was just a euphemism for fucking."

"I really do need a nap."

"All right," Brian sighed. "Youngsters, built for speed not stamina."

Justin chuckled. "You really are amazing, Brian. Your sex drive is as strong as ever."

"Especially when I've been deprived."

"You'll never be deprived as long as I'm around."

"And there aren't four million guests in the house," Brian added.

Justin chuckled. "But we did get along very well. Everyone pitched in. It was nice to have Sharon and Owen become part of the family. And Raph and Hector…"

"I don't think they knew what to make of us," Brian snarked. "Especially Hector."

"You can't blame him when you've fucked his partner."

"It's not my fault if I fucked him way back when."

"Of course not," Justin said keeping a straight face.

"But then again there probably aren't too many gay men in Pittsburgh who fall into the unfucked by Brian Kinney category."

"Except for Hector," Justin said making a face, "and Mikey."

"Let's not go there," Brian replied.

"It was a fun couple of days though," Justin said with another yawn.

"Yeah, it could have been worse."

Justin smiled. It could have been a lot worse.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=921