Coming Home To You by starlight
Summary:

Six years Post-Series. Justin comes home for good.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: Established Relationship, Family, Out of Character, Post-series
Genres: Canon, Humor, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 75632 Read: 217911 Published: Apr 14, 2017 Updated: Jul 18, 2017

1. Chapter 1 Rage is Dead by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 Happy Birthday's mean planning it yourself by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

34. Chapter 34 One small pill, and the world rights itself by starlight

35. Chapter 35 by starlight

36. Chapter 36 by starlight

37. Chapter 37 by starlight

38. Chapter 38 by starlight

39. Chapter 39 by starlight

Chapter 1 Rage is Dead by starlight

I walked into the diner and saw Mikey looking like Captain Astro died again, with everyone crowded around him. Once again I had to wonder how a fictional character caused this much emotion in Mikey. I sat down with the guys who were all just as confused as I was over this.


“He’s killing him.” Mikey cries loudly to everyone.


“I thought he was already dead?” I tell Mikey.


“He told you?” Mikey asks.


“Who told me what?” I ask him, confused.


“Justin. He’s killing Rage.” He tells me.


I got up, kissed Michael, Emmett, Ted, and then Ben when he walked up with Michael’s shake. I had a house to open up.


“Brian what was that about?” Ted asks, running after me.


“Time’s up and I need to go. I have a present coming.” I tell him, running to my car.


“When did he call to tell you he was coming home?” Ted asks.


“He didn’t, Mikey just did.” I tell him.


“I don’t understand.” He tells me.


“You don’t need to, but I need you to watch over Kinnetik for a few weeks. Justin and I won’t be back until we’ve had time for ourselves. No one needs to know he’s coming, understood.” I tell him.


I pulled up at the house and found the front door open. When I walked in, there were people everywhere, bringing things in and cleaning the house. Rachel came running down the stairs and stopped when she saw me.


“Mr Kinney, you need to go to your loft, Justin wanted everything ready before you and he came home.” She tells me.


“What am I doing at my loft?” I ask her.


“Getting dressed, he told me to tell you to meet him where it all began.” She tells me.


Only Justin would be this sentimental. I took off, calling Jen because this time Mom was going to be there when I proposed to the twat.


“Brian, how have you been? You know, calling more than once a week so I know your breathing isn’t the way I see this relationship working.” She tells me.


“He’s coming home.” I tell her.


“Finally. I swear I never know where he is anymore. If you didn’t tell him to call I doubt he’d remember.” She tells me.


“He just gets lost in his work, then me. I just learned to hand him a phone to call you with. He never remembers where his is.” I tell her.


“Are you two going to tell everyone?” She asks.


“I figured I’d just bring him to dinner and surprise everyone.” I tell her.


“At least warn Deb, she’ll end up slapping Michael as if he didn’t tell her.” She tells me, laughing.


“I’ll leave that up to you. Mom, will you do me the honor of allowing me to marry your son?” I ask her.


“Oh God, not again?” She jokes.


“I’m taking him out of here after whatever he has planned for tonight. This time we are actually getting married. You might want to pack a bag, since we want to live after getting married.” I tell her, hanging up.


He finally did everything and sent me the message. Although Mikey is most likely going to kill Justin when he finds out Rage isn’t really dying. Mikey and Justin kept Rage going, but as time went on, Mikey wanted a comic that centered around Zephyr and Ken. They each agreed that Rage would be written by Justin, and Mikey would write the adventures of Zephyr with a different artist doing the panels. Mikey’s comic isn’t doing what Rage is, but hey, Rage VS Ken, no contest. I really think it’s because Justin and Mikey still put out two editions a year that bring Zephyr back to fight with Rage. Justin made it so the two separate comics eventually reach a point where the stories connect twice a year.


I can’t believe it’s been six years since Justin was back for more than a weekend or holiday. I remember when he told me he wanted to come home but needed to finish what he’d left me to do. I met him in Spain for the week and asked if he was going to be able to make Gus’s birthday.


“Do you think that it’s time for me to come home?” He asked.


“Justin, we agreed that you’ll come home when you know it’s time.” I told him.


“I keep thinking that it is, but then another opportunity comes up. I’m getting tired of this nomadic life.” He told me.


“When you really do get tired, because I know you’re not, then come home.” I told him.


“It’s just, when I do come home I don’t want everyone showing up the way they do when I come for holidays and weekends. I want time that is just you and me first. If everyone finds out, it will be calls wanting to do things, which I want to because I miss everyone, but not for a few weeks.” He told me.


“Then figure out a way to tell me and everyone else, without them figuring it out.” I told him.


Justin woke up the next morning and told me if I ever hear Rage is dead, it means he is on his way home for good. Mikey’s mourning is my happiness. I got to the loft to see clothes on the bed, and really, Justin’s assistant Rachel, needs to work for me. The girl thinks of everything and has it ready before you know you need it. I was getting dressed, when Lindsay called to tell me that she and Mel were going to come for the weekend. I sat there trying to figure out how Justin and I could juggle all this and not alert the troops.


JUSTIN


Michael is such a drama queen, it’s not like I really planned to kill Rage, but then he doesn’t know that. Ben even called to ask why I was killing Rage. I’m sure he just wants peace and quiet, but he’ll get it when Rage survives. I knew Brian would have to tell Ted, but Ted learned to keep his mouth shut when it came to my visits, after we ended up not having a minute to ourselves the first time.


When I left Pittsburgh, Brian and I became busy and didn’t see a lot of each other for the first year. He was running his ass off to make Kinnetik the success it became, so there wasn’t time for a lot of visits. During year two I started getting offers for shows and started traveling with my agent, so it was me causing us to have longer separations. It was year three when Brian showed up when I hadn’t called him for a few weeks. I’d been trying to decide if any of this was worth losing Brian for, and took a couple weeks off from everything and rented a cabin in Vermont. Brian managed to get out of my agent, Stephen, where I was and showed up to find out why I wasn’t answering him. I felt like a total shit when he asked me if I wanted to break up.


“No. I just hate the way we never have any time for each other. I keep feeling like you’re going to get tired of how things have been and just tell me you’re done.” I told him.


“Where did you get that idea from?” He asked me.


“I’m fucking lonely, spending months away from each other. You can’t tell me it doesn’t bother you and that life wouldn’t be easier if I just came home.” I told him.


“Of course it would be easier, but when have we ever tried to take the easy way. I plan to stick to the man I want to marry one day, even if it means he has to be away from me to do what he needs to do. If this is about wanting to see each other more, all you had to do was tell me and I would have been anywhere you needed me to be.” He told me, pulling me up in his arms.


“It’s not fair to you that you always have to be the one who travels to see me.” I told him,


“Justin, I don’t care as long as I know that one day, instead of wearing these around our necks, we actually do what we said we would with them.” He told me, pulling my necklace with his ring on it.


“Why not just do it now?” I asked him.


“I want to do it when there aren’t going to be anymore separations. When we can move into our house and finally know there are no more month long trips to Europe that I can’t take with you. Kinnetik is almost ready for me to be able to hire enough execs that I don’t have to be there all the time and can devote my time to watching you become the artist I knew you would be.” He told me.


After we spent the weekend together, Brian and I made promises that we wouldn’t let a month go by without seeing each other. I think half my problem was that we decided to be monogamous, but my hand could only take so much and phone sex only made me miss the real thing.


Years four and five he made sure to sync our planners and filled in ways that we could see each other more often. One thing that we always made sure of was to be in Canada for all of Gus’s birthdays and any holidays. I hated that I was missing half of Gus’s life, but managed to convince the girls to let Gus come spend parts of his summers with me, when I traveled. Brian would join us as soon as he could get away and take Gus back with him when it was time. I asked Brian if he wanted us to have a child one day.


“When we can finally settle down, I do.” He told me.


“We might have grandchildren before that happens.” I told him.


“Justin, if you want a child now, we do it. I just think it would be nice to be in one place.” He told me.


“You really want to have one?” I asked.


“Yes Twat, you seem to make me want things I never thought I would.” He told me.


Now that I know I can stop the merry-go-round, I came home. I fired Stephen, because he was worse than Lindsay, convincing Brian that I should leave to become famous. I hate that it worked because it meant leaving Brian for years.


I got dressed in the hotel room that I rented so Brian wouldn’t find me until we got to meet the way I wanted us to. I know he’s going to be ready to strangle me for this, but I wanted us to start from where we began eleven years ago. Only this time we didn’t have to deal with all the drama it took to get us here. Daphne was waiting with the car, rolling her eyes at me for wanting to make an entrance, but I decided that the place where he changed my world was where I wanted to propose to him.


“I hate you. You can still wear the same fucking jeans.” She tells me, kissing me as she dropped me off in the same place.


“Stop having kids and you’ll see your feet again.” I tell her, patting baby number three.


I walked down the street that scared the shit out of me the first time I walked down it and found the streetlight with Mr Kinney standing there waiting.


“You were supposed to wait over there.” I pointed.


“I was waiting for my future, not my past.” He tells me.


I got down on one knee and pulled the ring out while he stared at me. “I wanted to propose this time. Will you marry me?” I asked him.


“Like you didn’t know the answer six years ago.” He tells me.


“How about just answering, because I really want to get up.” I tell him.


“Okay.” He tells me.


“Seriously. Okay. Just say it.” I tell him.


“Let’s do it.” He tells me.


“Say it, because really, there’s something slimy under my knee.” I tell him, fearing what was down there.


“Yes, Mr Taylor, I’ll marry you.” He tells me, kissing me, but keeping me away from him.


“I think I need another shower.” I tell him.


“I think there’s one you can use, since you insisted on doing this all over again.” He tells me, taking me to his car.


“Bitching is not how I thought we’d do this.” I complain.


“No, you just had to be all sentimental when we could already be naked and fucking on every surface of the house. I swear, I never thought you were this big of a twat.” He complains, but he’s smiling.


“I’m the twat you love, so get over it.” I tell him.


“Can you two ever do anything normal?” My mother asks.


“Please, he bought a house to propose in, this is as normal as we’ll ever be.” I tell her, kissing her before being shoved in Brian’s car.


“I’ll meet you at the airport in the morning.” She yells, getting into her car with Tucker.


“You brought my mom?” I bitch.


“Yes bitchy, I figured I’d keep my ball by including her.” He tells me.


“You're afraid of my mommy.” I sing-song.


“Justin, shut up.” He tells me, speeding into the night.

 

Chapter 2 by starlight

JUSTIN


Brian was washing my hard to reach places, and I was waiting for him to stop teasing me. I mean, it’s been weeks and I really need him to fuck the shit out of me. He seems to want to make sure whatever it was on the ground was gone.


“We might have a problem.” He tells me, running his finger down my ass.


“If you don’t remember how, just put tab A in slot B and I can take it from there.” I tell him.


“You are always such a needy twat.” He tells me, pushing me against the glass and thrusting into me.


It was all I dreamed about when I packed my shit and came home. He leaned over me as I held his hips, and moved the way that always made me cum. He pulled out and turned me around, using the wall to support me and holding my legs, he pushed back in, kissing me while we moved. He put his head on my shoulder and started moving faster, making me moan louder. I held on tight, rubbing my cock against him as he hit the nerves that made it easier for me to cum. He kept going and groaned, leaning into me as he finished.


When we were finished in the shower I went into the kitchen and looked for something to snack on. Brian came over and sat down, looking through my sketchbook on the counter. “Gus is going to be here. I wanted us to have a couple weeks before we started having visitors.” He tells me.


“Gus is here because I asked Mel to bring him. I had to tell her, but she promised to not to tell anyone. You have to pick him up, but otherwise no one is going to know I’m here yet. We can’t get married without Gus being there.” I tell him.


“How long have you been planning this?” He asks.


“Six years.” I tell him.


BRIAN


I went over to Deb’s while Justin packed our bags. I wanted to marry him at the cabin, he told me he wanted to come home because he was worried about us being separated for so long. Neither one of us wanted the big production that we tried the last time. I'm glad he figured out a way for Gus to be there without everyone else coming. If he had wanted a big wedding than I would have done it, but he said he appreciated privacy more now than he did before. I walked into Deb's house realizing that Mikey was still crying over Rage, but until Justin and I had time without everyone around, he'd just have to deal with it.


“He's really upset over this.” Mel tells me, handing me Gus’s things.


“I'm sure the twat will make it up to him.” I whisper.


“He better, because Mikey has started taking out issues and petting them. It's really sad to watch Jenny having to console her father.” She tells me.


“You might want to take the second issue and hide it before Jenny gets life lessons.” I tell her, when I see Jenny sneak it out of the pile Mikey is petting.


“Have fun.” She tells me, running to grab it.


“Hey Dad.” Gus comes over trying to get out of here.


“Briiaaaan, he's killing you. You have to convince him you still love him.” Mikey begs.


“How did you get Justin killing Rage into Brian causing it.” Carl asks, and I can tell he doesn't get the whole fiction being this big of a problem.


“I suggested that we do an issue where we find out that Rage and JT weren’t really married and Zephyr has to force Rage to go through with it again. Two weeks later he kills Rage, I think I might have upset him into thinking Brian didn’t want to marry Justin years ago. I didn’t mean it, but I wanted an issue where Ken and Zephyr were able to make Rage and JT see that marriage wouldn’t kill the mystery.” Mikey tells us.


“I doubt Justin thinks your idiotic ideas for a comic book story means Brian didn’t want to marry him.” Deb tells him, shaking her head at Mikey.


“It’s been six years and he could believe that, since Brian hasn’t asked him again.” Mikey argues.


“They had careers that made it hard for them to plan a life together. They both did what they knew they had to do to.” Lindsay tells him.


“They stayed together when no one else could have.” Ben assures him.


“I need to talk to Justin, he just can’t give up on Brian. Don’t you see, this is his cry for us to get Brian to commit.” Mikey tells all of us, glaring at me.


“Dad, let’s go before Mikey plans your wedding with costumes.” Gus whispers, dragging his bag out of my hands and running out the door.


“Where are you taking Gus, I thought we could all hang out together.” Lindsay tells me.


“I wanted to take Gus skiing, so we won’t be here.” I tell her, leaving before she figures out a way for all of them to come.


“Man, do you know how hard it was for me to not tell Mom? She kept saying that we all don’t spend enough time together and that we should get Jus to come home, since everyone was here.” He tells me.


“Jus and I don’t want to a big deal made out of this.” I tell him.


“Well, Mama said that when they all find out you two are married, it's going to have everyone complaining that you didn’t tell them.” He tells me.


“We’ll deal with it when it happens. Jus decided it’s time for us to do what we promised each other. They might complain, but in the end they were waiting for it to happen.” I tell him, as we pull up to pick Justin up.


“I don’t know if Uncle Michael is ever going to forgive you for this.” Gus tells Justin as he gets in.


“I planned to have Zephyr save Rage, trust me, I’ll be his hero after that.” Justin tells Gus.


“How are you planning to save yourselves when Grandma Deb finds out?” Gus smirks.


“Yes Mr Plans, how are we going to survive Gay Mom missing the wedding no one believed would happen?” I ask, because Gus isn’t asking to be a smart ass.


“Have faith in your husband, I always make sure to cover our asses.” He tells me.


“I think Grandma likes heads more than asses.” Gus tells him.


“Please, I have plenty of bruises to prove you wrong. She likes my ass.” Justin tells him.


We got to the airport to meet Jen, Tucker, and Molly. I felt sort of bad that I only really cared that Gus came for me, but I wanted us to do it our way and there is just no way when the rest of them wanted us to marry the way they thought we should. Jen accepted years ago that Justin and I would do things our way, so she was always the one we told what we were doing. Molly hugged Justin and me then she and Gus took off to get snacks for the plane. We were waiting in the lounge when I heard it, and closed my eyes smiling, he couldn’t be the bad one.


“Why the fuck did you want to come to the airport?” Deb asks Carl. “Sunshine, you really need to not kill Rage, we can’t deal with the candlelight vigil that Michael wants to do. Wait, why are you here?” She asks, when she realizes we are in the departures lounge.


“We knew we couldn’t get married without the moms.” Justin tells her.


“Married!!!” She really didn’t need to tell Europe and possibly Asia did she?


“Deb, Justin’s coming home.” Jen tells her, and really, they cry?


Jen kept Deb from calling everyone she knew, and with Carl’s help got Deb in her seat. Deb must have decided that since she couldn’t call Liberty Avenue, all the people on the plane would have to do. Cynthia sent a text telling me she got everything arranged. Justin isn’t the only one with super Assistant, not that we call Cynthia that if we want everything to go smoothly.


The car was waiting for us when we landed. I let Jen know they were staying at the lodge while Justin and I were locked away in the cabin after the wedding. I had the wedding set up on the large veranda at the lodge for after dinner. It was something to appeal to Justin’s sentimental little heart, and I like the way it would look with the background of snow in the pictures. What I didn’t count on was that it was fucking freezing out there. Justin called his assistant who arranged for someone to bring heaters, but really, having to wear coats wasn’t worth it. The manager of the hotel offered to let us get married inside by the large windows. So instead of a small wedding, we got married in front of the entire Smythe clan reunion, and they felt we should join their reunion party to celebrate. Of course the twat had to sketch a picture of the old couple who looked like they were married a couple centuries ago. Which meant the token gay grandson telling them who Justin was and apparently how he was Gordon Jr’s inspiration to come out. I finally managed to drag Justin away when Deb distracted Gordy with stories of the Land of Liberty Avenue.


“Brian, it wasn’t that bad.” Justin giggles, probably lit off the moonshine some uncle thought he should try.


“We wanted a small wedding and somehow joined the Smythe family, and you know Gordy was hoping to be your muse.” I tell him.


“He probably worried about being the only gay man in that family.” Justin tells me.


“You know two ways I know there were at least six gay men in that family?” I ask.


“What, they looked at you and then handed you their phone numbers?” He laughs harder, yes my husband is drunk.


“Everyone looks at me, one way is that you walk by and their eyes follow your ass.” I tell him.


“What’s the other way?” He asks.


“They gave me the thumbs up for getting that ass.” I tell him.


“I just watch how many things drop to the ground when you walk by, that’s how I know there was eight guys. Three forks and two drinks hit the floor when you took off the parka, and three guys kept dropping coins and picking them up while eyeing you.” He tells me, getting out of the car.


“There is no way I missed two guys.” I tell him.

 

“Just face it your gaydar has nothing on Briandar.” He smirks, running when he realizes there is a possible spanking in his future. At least there is a fire waiting for us.

Chapter 3 by starlight

BRIAN


All I'm saying is, cabin, fire, and a smiling naked twink, do you really think I wanted to talk? Not unless I grew a twat.


Justin arranged pillows and blankets in front of the fire, then arranged himself. As I undressed, Justin stroked his already hard cock and moaned, making my clothes disappear faster. He threw the lube to me while sitting up and fingering himself. I walked behind him to watch as he prepared himself for me. When he was ready, he fell forward on his hands, offering me my favorite place. I ran my hands down his back, and separated his globes to see his needy entrance. I pushed my thumb in and opened it more before adding lube with my fingers and letting him move them in and out of himself. He clenched when it became too much but held back for what he really wanted. Grabbing his hips, I slammed home while he shouted. I didn’t slow down because he never wants that the first time, but made sure to pull almost all the way out before thrusting back in. Justin got on his knees so he could turn to kiss me as I kept us going. I reached around and stroked him as I moved in him. He cried out as he came on my hand. I brought my hand to my mouth to taste him as he fell forward and started moving to get me to cum. I held on as long as possible, because this was our first time after being married, and I wanted to make sure he felt it for days, but Justin knows what to do and it was over for me.


In the shower, Justin bent me over and gave me the thing I only allow him. It's always been easy to give myself to Justin, so when he got the glint in his eye, I let him rim me with his marvelous tongue. He picked this up without any problems. I could cum just from Justin doing that alone. He gave me a minute before entering my already sensitive ass, then slowly inched in until he was seated all the way.


“You know, moving will really make this go the way it's supposed to.” I tell him.


“Look I only do this once in awhile, so I have to wait so I don't prematurely ejaculate.” He tells me.


“You just can't say ‘cum like a virgin’ can you?” I ask him.


“You took care of the virgin status years ago.” He tells me.


I saw stars when he decided to shut me up by pulling out and slamming into me. He slowed down the pace and we ended up prunes by the time we both came.


“Why now? Please don't tell me what Mikey said is true.” I ask him, when we were laying around.


“What did he come up with?” He asks.


“He's worried he made you think I didn’t want to marry you.” I tell him.

“Where did he get that idea?” He asks.


“Something about Zephyr forcing Rage to marry JT for real.” I tell him, yawning.


“Was that what he was calling me about? He called three times a day until I answered, but I sort of was busy with a painting and really didn’t catch half of what he was saying.” He tells me.


“Then what changed your mind? The last time we talked you were saying Stephen wanted you to go to Rome.” I tell him.


“I got tired of my agent thinking I didn’t have a say in what I do. So I fired him and came home.” He tells me.


“Justin, it has to be more than that.” I tell him.


“I want us and I want a baby. If I didn't stop, it would have been another show, and God only knows what else Stephen could think of. He seems to think I'll lose my following if I'm not where he wants. I told him, how I run my career is really up to me. He seems to think differently, so I fired him. I could live off what I’ve already made for the rest of my life, I also don’t like the way my painting was started to feel like someone else's. When you're with me I paint better, it’s a fact, and even Stephen couldn’t deny he saw the differences in what I produce when you're there. I can paint anywhere, but I can’t be with you if I’m not home, and I wanted us to finally have a child.” He tells me.


“I told you, you would know when it was time. I just waited.” I tell him.


JUSTIN


Brian and I came out of hibernation three days later to find Deb attempting to ski down a bunny hill. Gus came skiing by, giggling when Deb and Carl fell together every few feet. My mom of course, took the harder courses with Tucker, and my ass stayed in the lodge, all warm while Brian sacrificed his warmth for Gus and Molly. The Smythe clan was all over the place but the matriarch, Elaine, came and sat with me.


“Why the hell would anyone want to fly down mountains?” She asks, as her family all came flying down.


“I think they all find cold, wet things, entertaining.” I tell her.


“In my day, snow meant shovels and praying for summer. Bradley and I talked about moving somewhere warm, but we wanted to see the family grow. I tried to convince the family to do this reunion somewhere warm, but no, they had to come here.” She tells me.


“It’s a nice place, I could be biased, since I got married here.” I tell her.


“So did I, but back then it wasn’t this big, just a couple cabins and a small house here.” She tells me.


“Did you come here a lot?” I ask her.


“Every year, we were here when they built this building. I remember crying when they closed up the house that I got married in. I like this building, but that was where I began my life with the man I married.” She tells me.


“I’m sure they’d let you see the other place if you asked. I would want to, if they built something new where I was married.” I tell her.


“How long have you been with your young man?” She asks.


“Eleven years, the last six were hard, because my career made it hard for us to be together. There were times when I didn’t see the point in making it as an artist, if at the end it ended our relationship. Our relationship was full of so many up and downs that when we finally wanted to get married, it was like life had to interfere.” I tell her.


“You made it anyway, and that shows a lot of strength for a relationship that might have had problems.” She tells me.


“I loved him the minute he walked up to me.” I tell her.


“What about him?” She asks.


“He didn’t want to admit we were anything, and for a while, I pretended that was what I wanted too. I screwed up, but he didn’t turn me away when I realized my mistake and came back.” I tell her.


“So he loved you enough to wait for you.” She tells me.


“He loved me enough to never stand in the way of what I wanted. I love him enough to not make him wait for me anymore.” I tell her.


“Then someday you’ll be here like me, remembering how you married the only person for you.” She tells me, kissing my cheek and going to her husband, who came in from skiing.


I grabbed my camera and took pictures of Elaine warming up Bradley, and wanted to paint again. Everything about them showed a love that grew. Brian came in and ran his cold hands across my neck, and instead of yelling, I let him hold me until he got warm.


BRIAN


Justin was getting antsy, and that always meant that he wanted his studio. I called Rachel and told her I was bringing Justin home, and to have his studio ready. Justin kissed Gus and ran to get to the house. We decided to let Mikey suffer a little, because he called both of us trying to arrange a love connection, not realizing we were already there.


“Are we still not telling anyone?” Gus asks me.


“As long as Deb stays quiet, but you know her. I think Jus and I have two, maybe three days max, before she blows.” I tell Gus.


“Carl took her phone and the ones in the room. Nana and Carl were like guard dogs.” Gus giggles.


“I need to talk to your moms about you staying with us this summer.” I tell him.


“Are you and Jus going to have kids?” He asks.


“We want to, but you know it doesn’t change how we feel about you.” I tell him.


“I know, but I hate living so far away. It was different when you and Jus weren’t going to be together, but now I would have a place of my own.” He tells me.


“It’s up to your moms, they don’t seem to want to move home.” I tell him.


“It’s not like they love their jobs. Mama said she could make more being here, and Mom says she misses everyone. The only problem is, they tell Jenny and me, but not each other.” He tells me.


“Gus, even if you lived here, you would still live with your moms. They aren’t going to want you living with me and Jus, even though we would love it.” I tell him.


They called for Gus’s flight, and I held my sonny boy until it was time for him to go. When he got on the plane, I thought maybe it was time to make the girls talk to each other, because like with Justin, I was tired of having to let my boys go.


Chapter 4 by starlight

It started with Michael sitting in the diner trying to organize a petition to convince Brian it was time to marry Boy Wonder. Then Emmett commented that it was strange that he couldn’t get a hold of Baby lately. Which only had Ted and Deb looking anywhere but at them, then the bloodhound that is Emmett sniffed the stench of gossip he wasn’t in on. The only thing Michael and Emmett seemed to forget was there was a new place where Brian Kinney lived. Armed with the knowledge that Justin came home, but not that he got married, Mikey started a plan. He walked into Babylon and whispered in the ear of the first guy who walked by and it spread like wildfire. Zephyr was planning to find a way to save Rage.


Meanwhile, Emmett kept his mouth shut, because he wanted the details and knew there was only one person who knew what he wanted to know. He showed up at Daphne’s with his Spa kit and massaged her feet while offering her all her favorite goodies. Daphne sang like a canary, so Emmett dragged Drew with him in case he needed muscle to keep from getting his ass kicked for yelling at the man who married Baby. If there was a wedding, why was he not the planner, he’d waited and waited for years to marry the Kings. Brian answered, explaining that HIS BABY was busy and would likely kill anyone who entered the studio. Emmett pouted, but was thrilled he could announce the marriage to Babylon.


Ted, liking his job and the balls that Blake seemed to want, called to let the boss know the Queen was sniffing around and most likely figured it out that Baby was home. He hung up, praying that he really didn’t hear the growl for being too late with that news.


Deb was proud that she never said ‘marriage’ until Michael turned up, Ben and Hunter reluctantly in tow, to get help in saving his beloved Rage. He let Ma know how disappointed he was that Ken, he meant Ben, but Ben stopped correcting it when he realized that to Michael, Ken and Ben were just as much the same to Michael, as Zephyr and Michael were to Michael. It helped that Zephyr was madly in love with Ken and saw Rage as the man who would forever be out of reach to anyone but JT. So when Michael got ideas about Rage/Brian, Ben just followed along, no longer feeling any sting from Michael’s friendship with Brian. Deb told Michael to let Brian and Justin enjoy their honeymoon, then yelled ‘Fuck’, which meant her moment of pride was over.


Lindsay was the one who answered the phone, dreading another round of Rage, but instead was told of a wedding she knew nothing about and hung up in the middle of Michael telling her that Rage must live. Going to find Mel, because her wife had been the one who told her not to try to butt into Gus’s time with his father, Lindsay proved that being a lawyer was a career she should have gone for when our tough as nails lawyer caved, not wanting to sleep on the couch later when the truth was known. Lindsay was excited and upset at the same time. She had waited for them to get married and couldn’t understand why they didn’t want everyone there to witness the wedding, six years in the making. Mel smartly called Brain to make sure he knew the privacy they had was no longer an option, but together with Ted were keeping the house’s location a secret.


Which really just meant a couple days before everyone descended on Britin.


Rachel came in the house, took one look at Brian’s hand pinching the bridge of his nose and told him that she would hold back the visitors by lighting up the loft and keeping Michael busy with the real panels for Rage. Then handed Brian the information for the surrogate agency that he was about to ask her for, telling him that she set up an appointment for Brian and Justin to interview the candidates in New York the following week. She let him know before going back out the door that she had Justin’s studio ready for him to work in so there wouldn’t be any interruption of his work. Then informed Brian that Justin was leaving Stephen up to Brian to handle, because he was busy and really didn’t see the point in telling him off again.


I sat in my usual seat a Woody’s, laughing that I knew even before Brian; his true love had finally figured out that time was a joke on the idiots who tried to fight their fates. But then I snooped for years, because the couple delighted me. What the use in being a psychic if you could see the love story first. I could have saved them the trouble, but then Brian tends to mock the unknown. I turned to see the next person who wanted to know his future, praying for the love that a skeptic managed to win.


BRIAN


Rachel handed me a phone and told me the calls I could answer were only ones with this number. Justin was grabbing his bag so we could go, he’d finished one painting and said he could do the rest while he in New York. Justin had bought a penthouse for us to use when either of us needed it. He hated hotels after constantly living out of them, so when he started making money, he bought us our second home. It made my trips for meetings less of a hassle, since I had just as much there as in Pittsburgh. Justin still carried a bag everywhere, because he needed his pads to draw on in transit. I loved that bag, because if I was busy Justin could entertain himself, and was not interrupting me out of boredom during meetings.


I still remember him sitting in the lobby of Eyeconics, drawing away, not realizing that in New York he was becoming someone people recognized. Kelly and I were walking out and saw Justin looking confused when a woman asked for a picture with him. Kelly got excited because she remembered Justin, and realized that an artist was responsible for our first campaign’s success by a simple color change. I still smart over that one.


When we got off the plane, I led a sleepy Justin to the car and then to the bedroom where he fell into bed and slept. I had a plan to see Stephen, since Justin left it to me. Justin doesn’t see the point in repeating himself. He doesn’t get that Stephen is worried about his next paycheck now that Justin walked away. Justin never really saw what he did as a business, the way the rest of the world does. To him it was about finding a way to let people see something the way he saw it.


Stephen was relieved to see me, but I doubt he understands that what Justin wants is what I plan to see happening, which means there's not going to be a rehiring in Stephen’s future.


“Brian, you have to help me explain to Justin that as an artist, he has to stay in the scene if he’s going to stay on top. He can’t understand that I was only telling him that he needed to keep the momentum going. He’s not going to be able keep his career if he doesn’t makes sure his name is on people’s lips.” He tells me.


“Justin wants to have the life we left on hold so he could pursue his career. He no longer wants a life where he can’t have the things he wants, not what you want. I came to make sure you understand that any phone calls to Justin are not welcome. You should have listened to your client, not try to run roughshod over him. Justin might seem like he let you run his life, but he was allowing you to do your job, which you lost the minute you tried to talk to him as if you own him.” I tell him.


“I made him the success he is, and now because he thinks he wants you and a kid, I’m wrong?” He tells me.


“Justin never just thinks he wants something, he’s always known what he wanted, and didn’t let anything get in his way. If you bothered to know him, past the dollar signs you see over his head, than you’d still be working for him. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find another artist to keep you in the lifestyle Justin did.” I tell him.


“People are going to hear about this, I’m respected for the names I brought to the table.” He tells me.


“Justin’s respected and practically worshiped for the talent he brought to the table. He’ll live on in the paintings that people run to buy, you’ll be a footnote in the bio section of the artist you represent. No one cares that you arranged shows, they care that the star showed up.” I tell him.


I got back in time to meet with the first candidate, and had to get Justin to come out of his studio to meet with her. It took less than ten minutes for me to veto her. Justin didn’t seem to like her either, because he grabbed his phone and started playing a game when she started gushing over meeting him. The second woman came in and I wasn’t happy with the smoke smell surrounding her. She told me she’d been at her father’s house and he smoked in the house so she usually left with the scent on her. The third was less annoying, but Justin asked her if she was willing to use a separate donor. Her answer was that she liked knowing it was her who helped, not just being a carrier. I was starting to think that we needed to look at other agencies, when a woman came in with questions of her own about why we wanted a child and how we wanted to do it. She agreed with Justin that a separate donor would be best, since it’s harder when a surrogate bonds with the child she carries, that adding to the bond wasn’t in new parents best interest. Sarah agreed to meet with us at the agency with our lawyer and begin the process, when we were ready. The only thing we needed to talk about was who would be the father.


“I wanted us to both do it, and the result will be what it will be.” Justin tells me.


“You and your belief in fate. I doubt it will be that big of a guess if it comes out a blond pain in the ass.” I tell him.


“Or it comes out a sarcastic pain in MY ass.” Justin tells me, kissing me before going back in his studio.








Chapter 5 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin and I got back to Britin and barely got in the door before the phone was ringing. Justin went to the kitchen, ignoring it the way he always does when he’d rather do something else.


“Brian, you are in so much trouble.” Lindsay says as soon as I picked up.


“Why?” I ask.


“You and Justin can't get married without telling us.” She tells me.


“We did, so I guess we could.” I tell her.


“All of us would have loved to be included.” She tells me.


“You were at the first one.” I tell her.


“You didn’t marry him then.” She argues.


“It was the reason not to include you in the second one. It's obvious that you all jinxed it.” I joke. “Lindsay we didn’t want a big production this time. Justin’s finally ready to come home for good. We didn't want to wait, and all of you seem to think we have to do it your way to be happy.” I tell her.


“Did you just say Justin is home for good?” She asks.


“We decided it's time for us to be together without all the separations. We want to have children and it's not possible if he's never here.” I tell her.


“What about his career?” She asks.


“Lindsay, it's his decision to come home. He's tired of giving up his wants because everyone thinks he has to be away from me to do it. I’m tired of it too.” I tell her.


“What is he going to do now?” She asks.


“He's painting and being home. For him it's what he wanted, don’t give him a hard time about this.” I tell her.


“He wouldn’t listen anyway, he already told me to butt out.” She tells me.


“When?” I ask.


“The second time you two came for Gus’s birthday. I sort of asked how he could take time to come when I knew he had a show coming up. He told me that it was his career and he was tired of everyone acting as if spending time with you and Gus was ruining it.” She tells me.


“Then listen to what he told you, and understand that no one tells him what to do or how he's supposed to do it. Stephen made that mistake and lost Justin as a client.” I tell her.


“Is it okay if we visit soon?” She asks.


“Is that all you want to do is visit? Gus seems to think you and Mel want to come back.” I tell her.


“I do, but Mel hasn't said anything.” She tells me.


“Why not talk to your wife, apparently she been complaining that she could make more here.” I tell her.


“We don't feel safe there.” She tells me.


“Why, because of a bomb that could have happened anywhere? Hate crimes don't just happen in Pittsburgh. Canada has just as many, so where are you planning to move next, when it happens where you are?” I ask.


“Canada accepted same-sex marriage.” She tells me.


“They accepted the revenue they got from allowing people to get married, it didn't make Canada free of bigotry. I'm tired of having only part of Gus’s life, I want more than visits.” I tell her.


“I'll talk to Mel, but don’t expect her to say yes.” She tells me, hanging up.


I walked into our fully stocked kitchen to find Justin making a huge sandwich and mine already made. I grabbed it and sat at the table, while Justin got his finished and brought us drinks.


“What did Lindsay have to say?” He asks.


“Wanted to know why we didn’t invite everyone and why you were staying instead of traveling the world.” I tell him.


“Because I want to. She has good intentions but she doesn’t understand what it’s really like to have give up what she wanted the way I did.” He tells me.


“I’m trying to convince them to come back to Pittsburgh. I want Gus here, not where we don’t get to see him grow up.” I tell him.



“I will never get the move to Canada. There isn’t anywhere you escape hatred.” He tells me.


“They wanted a change and didn’t really think about what they were doing.” I tell him.


“It would be nice to see Gus and Jenny more.” He tells me.


“Mikey would be thrilled, he couldn’t go up there very often. Which they probably thought was one of the advantages.” I joke.


“Speaking of, I think I need to go talk to him. Rachel got a bit annoyed and didn’t give him the new panels. Emmett texted that Michael is trying to convince Deb to hold a vigil in the diner.” He tells me, snickering.


“Emmett is just trying to corner you. He couldn’t get to you when we came home.” I tell him.


“I really need to go see him too, and well, Deb mentioned she would make Chicken Parmesan when we surfaced, and Ted wanted to go over my accounts. I should go see Daphne since she didn’t get pissy she wasn’t there… what?” He asks, when I just stare at him.


“Where is the part about spending time with the man you married and possibly making up for all the sex your career got in the way of?” I ask.


“Oh, did I forget the part about sucking your brains through your dick?” He asks. “I was just giving you a resting period, due to your advanced age.” He smirked, getting up and running up the stairs.


I finished my sandwich, making the twat wait. Well, I only really waited until he was up the stairs, but it counts. I walked into the bedroom to not see Justin anywhere. I looked in the bathroom and no Justin, where the hell did he go? When I walked out of the bedroom I see him close his studio door and walk to see what he’s up to. I went in to find him naked on his work table with paint all over him.


“It’s edible, I thought you might like to try some chocolate.” He tells me, smiling at his painted dick.


I took off my clothes, pushed him back, and tongued around his cock, tasting that he must have mixed strawberry in, because he tasted like a chocolate covered strawberry. I put my hand in the jar and made sure to give him something to taste too. He got up and pushed me back to the pillows behind us and got to work cleaning all the chocolate paint from my chest and cock then swallowed until he had me down his throat and swallowed so I could feel his throat rubbing me in all the right places. His fingers were busy teasing around my rim before he pushed in to get to my prostate. This was one of the reasons I gave up other men, Justin knew exactly what I needed without having to be told. He got to his knees, using his cock to tease me before entering me in one continuous thrust. I held his hips, still enjoying the pain/pleasure of Justin. He didn’t top me often, but when he did I never wanted it to go to quickly. When I let go he held me still as he thrust in and out of me. His facial expressions of pure bliss could send me over the edge, but it was when he angled his cock to make sure I was going to cum like a fountain that I let go and covered us. Justin rode me through my orgasm and stroked me to keep me hard. He pulled out and rubbed my cock with lube and cum. It was his turn and he climbed up my body until my cock was lined up with his entrance and then seated himself to the root and rode me while I stroked his weeping cocking. I let him ride me until I could feel he was close and held him still to thrust from below him. Justin came minutes later, and once again I did too.


“I really wanted to use the paint but the minute you got naked I forgot what I was doing.” He tells me.


“Then my job is done.” I tell him, slapping his ass.


“You really believe that.” He tells me going down on me again.


JUSTIN


Brian needed to get to Kinnetik after Ted called and told him an overseas company wanted to meet with him about their campaign. Apparently they wanted  Brian and no one else. He tried to play it off as if it wasn’t a big deal, but he knew I wasn’t buying it. I asked to be dropped off at the diner because I missed going there and seeing everyone. He rolled his eyes at me missing people I could talk to all the time. It’s just not the same as seeing them. I got out only to have him pull me back in and kiss me before he left. I opened the door to Emmett hooting as I walked in.


“Baby, when will you two learn to stop giving everyone a show.” He tells me as he bear hugged me.


“Brian can’t resist Sunshine.” Deb tells him suffocating me with her hugs and kisses.


Drew gave me a pat, reminding me that he really needs to remember not all of us are football players. I turned to see Michael sitting there pouting, but he knew Deb and Emmett had to come first. He got up and headed to me, then yanked me in for a hug.


“You can’t kill Rage, how would JT survive without him?” He whispered.


“Mikey, do you really think I’d do that to you?” I ask him.


“But you sent me the panels with Rage… why would you DO THAT to me?” He asks.


“I wanted the life I’ve been waiting for, so I sent Brian the message through you. So for once you were the first to know something.” I tell him.


“I was? But why not just tell us?” Michael asks.


“I wanted to get married, not plan a gang get together where everyone wanted to tell me how to do it. For once I wanted something that was just about us.” I tell him.


“Okay, but no more not telling us things.” Emmett tells me as we sit down.


“I’ll try, but sometimes there are just things that I don’t feel it’s necessary to tell everyone. You guys tend to tell everyone everything without worrying if we wanted everyone to know.” I tell him.


“Baby, we were just happy for you.” Emmett tells me while Michael nods.


I waved to a guy watching us. “Congratulations!” He yells.


“Are you two getting it yet? I don’t even know him.” I tell the two, who look sheepish.


We were making plans to go out to Babylon tonight when Ted and Brian came in an hour later. Brian was distracted and told me he needed to talk to me about something later. Ted looked over at me with a knowing smile. Ted’s role in Brian’s life changed over the years, it used to be if you saw Brian, Michael was behind him, but that changed to Ted being with him everywhere. A lot of it had to do with the rift between Michael and Brian. Each time it happened, Ted was there to fill the void left behind when the two weren’t talking to each other. Brian was trusting Ted in all facets of his life and Ted didn’t abuse it, the way Michael did sometimes. I remember times when I didn’t get Brian and Michael but then I wanted Brian to want me. Now I see that Michael gave Brian a family when he needed one and it made more sense to me.


I went with Brian after promising to get the correct panels to Michael, so he could work towards the joint issue in a few months. Then made him promise not to piss off Rachel because I needed her to keep my life running smoothly.


“I know you said you wanted to be home, but the company that came to us today wants me to go to their headquarters in London to see what they want us to help advertise. It’s going to be two weeks in London then they have a business convention they want us to help with. I’m looking at a month before I’m done.” He tells me.


“Then I’ll accept the show in Paris, I was going to just send my work, but if you’re going then I can make an appearance too.” I tell him.


“Would it bother you if I invited Robert and his wife to your show? Robert is the owner of Youth in Play apparel, the company that wants us to do all their advertising globally.” He tells me.


“Make sure they really want to see it. Not everyone gets standing around looking at paintings.” I tell him.


“Mikey doesn’t get anything that isn’t in a comic. I might have mentioned to Robert’s wife that we were married and that the painting in the lobby that she fell in love with was one of yours.” He tells me trying to act like he was playing the part of proud husband to the hilt.


“You couldn’t resist could you?” I tell him.


“I married a star, of course I wanted everyone to know.” He smirks.


“I still don’t get why people think that, it’s not like it’s me but the paintings that should steal the show.” I grumble, and I don’t get the whole treating me like I’m famous.


“You’ve always stolen the spotlight. I didn’t mind because I got you.” He tells me.









Chapter 6 by starlight

LINDSAY


I didn’t bring up what Brian said for a few days, I was almost afraid Mel would tell me she didn't want to move home. Our life here wasn’t bad, but I missed our friends and family. The people we’ve met here weren’t like the people we knew, they were friendly, but to them we were foreigners and they didn’t really see us as real Canadians. The only time we really enjoyed was when Justin and Brian visited. It was really bad when I couldn’t wait to see Michael, just to hear something about Pittsburgh. It wasn't what we thought it would be. Canada had employment problems and made it hard for us to find a way to support ourselves, because most jobs went to citizens first. I managed to find a job working on commission at a gallery, but my boss told me if he had an opening it would go to the people who had been here the longest. He didn’t say it, but I knew he meant the people who were citizens. Mel got a job because she came with a specialized skill, but she had to start at the bottom and take the cases no one else thought were worth their time. I could tell she wasn't happy, but she kept telling me our safety was more important than liking her job. After talking to Brian and hearing that Justin would walk away from the career of a lifetime to be happy, it made me wonder why Mel and I stayed at jobs that weren't anything special, out of fear.


“Why are we still here?” I finally got up the nerve to ask Mel.


“Because we wanted a life without bombs exploding in our face.” She tells me.


“Nothing has happened in Pittsburgh since we left. It's not like someone was out to get us personally. You can’t say that this is what we thought it would be like. I miss home.” I tell her.


“Why didn’t you say anything?” She asks.


“I wanted to give it a chance, but it's like Canada doesn’t want to give us a chance.” I tell her.


“I been thinking about it, but you seemed okay with staying here. Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to move back?” She asks me.


“I didn’t want you to think we’d made a mistake. We took off when we should have stayed.” I tell her.


“Why do we always seem to talk around each other?” She asked me.


“Fear of what we would say, neither of us were ever good at listening to the other. The times we did talk it seemed to only be to tell each other things we didn’t want to hear.” I tell her, letting her hold me.


“I like hearing you still love me. I love hearing about the things that happen to make you happy. I want to know what you want so I can make it possible.” She tells me, kissing me.


“I like that you still love me after so many years. I love when your eyes light up when you win a case that no one else was willing to win. I want you to have that again, but it’s not here, where they won’t even give you a client that is more than paperwork to file.” I tell her.


“It’s time to go home.” She whispers, before running her hands down my stomach.


JUSTIN


Michael and I were discussing how to get Rage and Zephyr’s lives to cross again while Brian and Ted were talking business. Emmett dragged Drew out to dance around all the men who could only wish Drew was theirs, (Emmett’s words). I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see a kid who couldn’t be older than I was when I first came here. Brian shook his head at the kid but he really couldn’t say much, when he used to bring me here all the time.


“Can I help you?” I ask.


“I was wondering if you could autograph this?” He asks me, handing me Rage’s first issue. “You too, if you would.” He asks Michael.


Michael looked gobsmacked that someone remembered he was once the writer for Rage. I signed it and handed it to Michael, who couldn’t stop smiling that someone wanted his autograph. We watched as he ran back to the group he was with. It was strange, because it was like seeing the past. Six guys standing around but the younger one was more like Michael, and there were Brian and I looking out into the crowd. I could see two guys standing around that sort of reminded me of Emmett and Ted, but there was another guy standing there with them, so it wasn’t exactly the same. Emmett turned to see what I was looking at and laughed.


“Past meets future, only there will never be another Brian and Justin. No one has the chemistry you two do.” He tells me.


“There will always be a new group.” Ted tells him.


“They just don’t have what it takes.” Michael tells us.


“What do you mean?” I ask, as Brian pulls me back to him.


“They are still trying to find what all of us did. They’re making different mistakes. The guy in the middle is in love with the one on the left, only he seems to be playing it safe with the guy on the far right. Lefty seems to think there’s no hope with center guy. The young one is the Lefty’s brother and in love with the same guy.” Emmett tells us.


“Okay. Well, it’s time for the past to let the future play out on their own. I have a headache just trying to listen to all that.” Ted tells Emmett.


“I’m going to miss not having lunch with you guys. It’s like Justin barely came home and you're leaving again.” Emmett pouts.


“Where are you going?” Ben asks us.


“I need to go to London and Justin decided to go ahead with a show in Paris.” Brian tells them.


“I was going to pass it up, but since Brian and I will be in Europe I figured I’d go. Rachel can arrange the whole thing anyway.” I tell them.


“One day I’m going to convince her to work for me and not a spoiled artist.” Brian teases, kissing me on the neck.


“She likes to spoil me, so hands off my Cynthia. You have the original, but you know, I’m sure we could trade, and Cynthia wouldn’t mind traveling the world with me.” I tease him back.


“Never fight against him, he’s always known how to win.” Ted warns Brian.


We were all ready to leave the future to Babylon. It wasn’t the same anymore, for any of us. I turned to see the two who couldn’t get it right yet and hoped they found what I did. I found everything here and only wanted the best for the future.


“They have years before they figure out what you knew the first night.” Mysterious Marilyn whispers, passing by me.


“Let’s go before she tries to tell us her version of the future.” Emmett tells me, shivering.


“It’s all guessing anyway.” Ted tells us.


She pulls Brian to her and whispers something to him while he scowls at her. He turned pale, grabbed me and wanted to leave fast. The guys were all following as we made our way to the diner, wondering why Brian seemed to be freaking out. When we sat down Brian looked as if the coffee needed to be stronger. I got up and got Kiki’s flask and poured it in his cup. Kiki kissed my head and took her flask back. He gulped and sputtered, Kiki liked rum, not beam.


“What caused you to freak out?” I asked, as he handed his coffee to Deb to get normal coffee.


“We are not having twin boys.” He tells me.


“You never believed anything that came from Marilyn before, why believe it now?” I ask.


“She told me that fate wanted you to be a father.” He tells me.


“And?” I ask.


“That lady fate was going to pay my ass back for not following the script when we were supposed to get married the first time. So, freaking twin Justin’s.” He tells me.


“Wait a minute, why are you talking about kids?” Emmett asks me.


“Oh, did we forget to mention that we were planning that.” I tell him, hoping my innocence will still keep my ass out of trouble.


“I’m going to be an Uncle, kick ass.” Hunter tells us, sitting down.


“Hunter, when did you come home?” Michael screeches and hugs his son.


“I heard the twink finally came home, figured I’d be here to see if I could convince Brian there were better options.” He smirks at me.


“Or you finally remembered you had family while living it up. I swear you are as bad as Justin about calling. These fly in visits you do for gossip aren’t enough.” Deb tells him hugging him.


“I wanted to bring my fiance to meet you.” He tells us, barely, before the squealing started again.


Deb looked around for the girl who stole Hunter from us, and we didn’t see anyone. Brian shook his head. “So you finally decided our team was better?” Brian asks.


“What?” We all turn to look at Hunter.


“It turns out that love just didn’t care what gender I was dating.” He tells us, going out and dragging a guy in.


“What happen to Sabrina or Sally or whoever she was?” Michael asks.


“That was the problem, they all became like the last. I couldn’t stop thinking of Shelby.” He tells us, pulling the tiny blond into his arms.


“Hi. I've heard about all of you.” He tells us, blushing.


“He’s an artist, we met when I went to check out an exhibit that had one of Justin’s paintings. Instead, I found Shelby in front of it.” He tells us.


“He tried to impress me saying he knew Justin Taylor. Which I didn’t believe. Sorry?” He tells Hunter.


“Lovely, you found Justin light.” Brian snarks, smiling.


“It worked for you, since you never looked at anyone the way you did Justin.” Ted tells him.


“How do you not look at that ass? That was not an okay for any of you to look.” Brian growled at everyone.


“That settles it, we are all having dinner Sunday, everyone needs to catch up before you two take off again.” Deb tells us.


“Where are you going now? Last time I was here Dad was planning a way to get you married. You got married and then before any of us knew you were here, you took off to New York. It’s like neither of you know how to visit me.” Hunter complains.


“You taught him well Mikey.” Brian tells Michael.


“It’s business for both of us. He’s in London and I need to go to Paris.” I tell Hunter.


“You're going to show up, I heard you weren’t planning to be there. My parents offered to fly Hunter and I there to see it.” Shelby tells us.


“Then hopefully you come, it would be nice to see people I want to see there. Even if it’s only this brat.” I tell them, ducking when Hunter swiped at me.


Brian and I left Shelby to get to know Hunter’s family, and Brian seemed to stop worrying about Marilyn’s predictions, at least I thought so.


“Twin you’s, we are going to be pulling our hair out.” He tells me, shaking his head.






Chapter 7 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin was happy to go to dinner at Deb’s, it's something he really missed. So was sitting around with all our friends, kidding around. He brought Rachel with us, he told her it was time to further her education. He really just likes that she deflects people when he loses himself in his work. I like that Rachel understands her job. Justin found Rachel when he was setting up a show working at a gallery. She seemed to know what he needed before he did, but she wasn't starstruck the way the other people were when Justin showed up. When the show was over Justin dragged me over to meet her and thanked her for all her help. I could tell she was used to helping but being forgotten afterwards, but Justin always made a point of giving people credit for what they did. It was about a month later when Justin called bitching about someone Stephen hired to help out, that was when I asked why he wasn't hiring his own assistant.


“It's why I kept Cynthia around, she made my life easier without needing to question everything I did.” I told him.


“It's just, this guy is constantly asking about things that I know Stephen wants to know. Stephen asks and when I don't answer the way he wants, Tyler asks again, like he can get the answer.” He told me.


“Hire someone who understands that both Stephen and they, work for you.” I told him.


It was a week later Rachel started answering Justin’s calls. It was also when Stephen needed to start worrying, because Rachel had Justin seeing how much Stephen tried to interfere in Justin’s life. Rachel took over Justin’s schedule, and when she and Cynthia scheduled our time together, Stephen didn’t have a say in it. Justin got a thrill out of watching Stephen squirm when tiny Rachel would reshuffle Justin’s schedule if it interfered with what Justin wanted. Justin dealt with Stephen well at first, but as time went on he only stayed because they had a contract and Stephen delivered. I knew Justin was going to end their association, but didn't want to do anything until the contract expired. If Stephen had been smarter he would have followed Rachel’s example and done what his boss asked him, not fight him on it. I'm waiting for Justin to figure out that Rachel could run his career the way Justin wants.


“Mr Kinney, I called Cynthia and managed to get it so Justin will only be unavailable for two days due to a few parties he needs to attend. I have him booked on the shuttle to fly back for the dinner your clients have planned. After the show Justin will be free for the rest of your time in London.” She tells me.


“Rachel put down the planner. Tonight's family night.” Justin tells her.


“Why did I have to come? You know Mr Novotny gets on my nerves.” She tells him.


“You like Deb,Ted, and Emmett, and Michael just takes getting used to. You can stare at Ben when Michael gets to be too much, it's how I managed not to kill Michael when he nagged me.” Justin tells her. “Get over it, if you were there no one else mattered.” He tells me, when I glare at him.


“Mr Bruckner is handsome.” Rachel smirks at me.


“Are you ever going to call me Brian, if you're going to be around me I really think it’s time to get past ‘Mr. Kinney’.” I tell her. When both of them snicker, I realize she’s been doing this on purpose.


“Sure Brian, I just wanted to show respect to my elders.” She laughed with the twat.


“Justin only calls me that when he gets spanked.” I tell her, as she blushes.


Rachel raced out of the car as soon as we pulled in. Justin shook his head at me. “Mr Kinney is also when you do especially well at blowing me.” Justin pulls me to him, and who cares about dinner.


Justin climbed over the middle of the seat and I pushed it back so he could settle in my lap. Justin was grinding against me while trying to make sure his tongue was tickling my tonsils. I held his ass and guided him so he applied the right pressure. I was reaching down to unzip him when there was a banging noise, we both turned our heads, confused, and saw Mikey eyeing us before he opened the door and sat in Justin’s seat.


‘You know there was a time when I might have wanted to see this, but not when everyone is waiting for dinner. A dinner that Ma won’t serve because her Sunshine isn’t there to eat it.” Mikey tells us.


“You wanted to see me and Brian fucking?” Justin asks.


“Only for purely professional reasons, I mean I was writing you two having all sorts of sex. Which would have been easier if I knew, like say, does Brian yell ‘yeah JT do it like that, you know I love it when you lick my tonsils while the whole family watches you try to screw me in the front seat’, then I wouldn’t have had to think up what twisted shit you two do.” He tells us, jumping out when Justin tries to smack him.


Justin kisses me and leaps out after Mikey and chases him yelling “At least it’s not ‘Oh Benny, wear that Captain Astro cape it so turns me on.”


“I thank Buddha every day that I’ve never heard that from Michael.” Ben tells me, laughing at our husbands.


“I would thank you, if you’d kept Mikey out of my car.” I tell him, adjusting and thinking of anything to get rid the hard on.


“I think I found a use for Mr Novotny.” Rachel informs me. “He keeps you and Justin from forgetting anyone else is around.” She tells me, as she goes in.


I walked in to see Justin fixing his plate and stuffing his face. I sat next to him, eating a salad and some of the stuff from Justin’s massive amount of food. Hunter and Shelby showed up late and of course Hunter acted hurt that Deb didn’t wait for her favorite grandson to show up.


“Hunter, I learned years ago from Sunshine and Brian that you just start eating or we could be waiting all night for them to surface. Apparently you're learning too much from the two of them.” Deb tells him, kissing his cheek.


“I see blondie still can eat like a pig and not gain a pound.” Hunter teases Justin.


“It goes to my ass, then I let Brian make sure it doesn’t stay there.” Justin tells him, making everyone laugh.


“Ben makes me go to the gym, he said that with the crap I put in my body I’ll end up bigger than your ass.” Mikey snickers.


“Honey, we all would love to have that ass. I swear, mine is going so far south, it’s just not perky anymore.” Emmett tells us.


“I’ll still love it when it ends up at your ankles.” Drew tells him.


“While I love you too, Drewsie, if it ever ends up there, than you didn’t do what Brian obviously does for Baby.” Emmett teases Drew.


“I’m still trying to figure out how the two of them haven’t collapsed from exhaustion.” Ted tells us.


“We tried your viagra and realized it wasn’t really all that different from a normal day for us.” Justin tells him.


“I knew it, I remember Justin barely being able to sit for days.” Emmett giggles.


“And Ted not being able to get to go down until he got to the backroom. I don’t think that guy ever showed his face in Babylon again.” Mikey tells everyone.


“Not my finest moment, but at that point I was just happy not to be wearing a trench coat in the middle of summer. There were way too many people eyeing me like I was a flasher.” Ted tells us.


“Are you guys always like this?” Shelby asks, smiling.


“Always, but I’m getting such an education.” Rachel tells him, laughing.

“Baby Two, if you’re going to be around, you have to just jump in.” Emmett tells Shelby.


“Don’t try to win against Boy Wonder, he just gets more devious. Like oh... killing Rage.” Mikey tells everyone.


“Michael, it’s time to get over it. Zephyr was going to be the one to save the day.” Justin tells him.


“Really, a candlelight vigil is when you and I need to talk about reality and fantasy, Mr Novotny.” Rachel tells him, before laughing.


“It was for the fans, really they were waiting for me to save our hero.” Mikey tells them.


JUSTIN


I was helping Deb clean up the kitchen, I’ve never been able to leave the busboy behind when I get near Deb. Shelby came over and offered to help, I handed him a towel and finished washing the pan I left to soak.


“Was it hard to go from painting to drawing panels?” Shelby asks me.


“Not really, but I loved not always doing only one form of art. I worked as an intern for Brian at one time, helping create boards, which was easier because of learning to do panels for Rage.” I tell him.


“I’m still having problems when we do free hand paintings. It’s easy when they give us a subject but when they tell us we needed to paint what we want, I tend to have a hard time with it.” He tells me.


“Brian is the subject of a lot of my paintings. It’s easier when you use what feeds your need to draw something. Brian inspires me.” I tell him.


“He’s not in all your paintings, at least I don’t see it.” He tells me.


“He’s there, but you have to find him. I don’t mean he’s actually drawn in them, just that a lot of my work comes from something he might say that interested me.” I tell him.


“I read that you almost didn’t continue to be an artist.” He tells me.


“I almost gave up, but Brian and another friend wouldn’t let me give up. It took a while for me to understand that being bashed didn’t mean having to give up what I loved to do.” I tell him.


“Hunter told me not to bring it up, but it’s really amazing that you didn’t let it stop you.” He tells me.


“Brian would tell you I’m unstoppable, but at the time I couldn’t handle anything. I started having trouble controlling my anger and having too many people near me. Brian wouldn’t let me hide, but made me face that I was giving up on something that is like breathing to me.” I tell him.


“I want to be able to create the way you do, but it’s like I can’t translate what I see onto the  canvas. My teacher told me I’m not putting myself in it.” He tells me.


“You have to be able to leave a part of you in what you create. It’s your vision, so it’s going to be personal. I’ve had things that I wanted to trash because it wasn’t what I thought it would look like, but I put it aside and mess with Rage or draw up an idea for whatever campaign Brian is working on. It makes it easier to go back and see where I was going with the painting. I recently met someone who was an example that love isn’t fleeting, but grows, it made me itch to show it. She talked about her life and I could hear how much she loved her life and the man she’s been with all her life. To me she deserves a place in history because her story needed to be told. Find inspiration in the things around you.” I tell him.

 

Shelby dried the last dish and smiled at Hunter talking to everyone. “I get it.” He tells me.

Chapter 8 by starlight

JUSTIN


Rachel was doing her usual, making my life run like clockwork. Brian asked why I didn't just give Rachel the job as my agent before I left London for Paris.


“It's just I like what she does now.” I told him.


“She shouldn’t be held back because you don't want to deal with a new assistant. Cynthia would have eventually started looking for another job if I left her being my assistant forever. Rachel knows even more than Stephen did about what you need. Give her a way to spread her wings.” He told me.


I thought about it the whole way here, and then called someone who was once the best assistant in the business. Cynthia could have demanded any amount from Brian and he would have found a way to give it to her. Hell, I would have paid to keep Brian from losing Cynthia, she made it so people didn't run screaming from Kinnetik when they didn’t deliver the way Brian wanted.


“How's the trip?” Cynthia asks.


“As expected, Rachel had everything ready before I got here.” I tell her.


“You found a gem in that one. Brian used to complain that you seem to always luck out on the people that work with you.” She tells me.


“Brian suggested that it was time to change what Rachel does for me. I'm flying without an agent, but with Rachel around to deal with everything it makes it easier.” I tell her.


“Justin, she’s been doing Stephen’s job since she became your assistant. The only thing she lacks is the title.” She tells me.


“I’ve been thinking about opening my own agency, there are so many artists who don’t get a chance. A lot of the time it’s because agencies look for people who are already riding the current trends, but there are others out there who will bring something that people will want, but because they aren’t following what is big right now they get shuffled back into the mix. I never let people decide for me, and my paintings do well because people like what they are seeing.” I tell her.


“You know Brian would love to help you with that, he wants Kinnetik to branch out further than advertising. Ted is working on turning accounting into a financial service, and adding a talent agency would help Kinnetik when we are looking for people for accounts. It doesn’t have to just be artists, but other people looking for agents to help them steer the waters.” She tells me.


“That’s bigger than I was thinking, but it would make sense not to just represent one art form. I just don’t know if being based in Pittsburgh would get many people to look to us for those needs.” I tell her.


“Justin, Brian’s in London for an account that came to us to represent them. Our reputation is what gets us accounts, not our address. I think a lot of people would be interested to see what Justin Taylor is up to, and would come to you just to find out. Then you show them what you are willing to do to see their dreams come to life. Rachel alone will give you a huge advantage, because she knows everyone you know and how to get them to give you what you want. It’s time to train a new assistant, yours outgrew her job.” She tells me.


“This is going to suck, she does everything and I didn’t even have to train her to do it. It’s going to be like the many assistants Brian went through, before you found Danny. Brian still has nightmares about the chick who wanted to be lunch for him.” I tell her.


“That was not my fault, he got tired of interviewing and just picked one, saying that one was like the others; soon to be fired. How he picked the one who was looking for the position of mistress and not assistant is anyone’s guess.” She giggles.


“I guess it’s time for me to actually let my Cynthia go onto better things. Hey, you wouldn’t be interested in the job would you, I’m willing to pay more than Brian.” I joke.


“Justin there were times when I would have done it for free, just to see the places you been. Then I found out from Rachel that most of my time would be spent trying to get you to remember you had more to do than paint. It started to sound too much like working and not the vacation I saw in my head.” She tells me.


“You know, all you ever had to do was call and I would have made Brian bring you. You and I could have actually seen the sites, not just the inside of every men’s clothing store.” I tell her.


“When you do a show in Greece, I’ll take you up on it. Just remember, when Rachel becomes your agent, she isn’t going to stop organizing your life, I never stopped making sure Brian’s life ran the way he wanted.” She tells me.


“Thanks, I’ve been running it around in my head since Brian made me face that I stuck Rachel in a role because I didn’t want my life to be complicated. Now I’m going to have to look for someone who can do what she did.” I tell her.


“Talk to Hunter, he’s at loose ends. Brian was going to offer him a job here, but I think Hunter would love to do what Rachel does, he spent so much time keeping Michael in line. You couldn’t be more demanding than Michael.” She tells me laughing.


“Michael isn’t that bad, and there are times Rachel could probably tell you I’m worse. I don’t think there is anything she hasn’t seen when it comes to Brian and I.” I tell her.


“Justin, there isn’t anything I haven’t seen, and yeah, she and I compare the antics of you two.” She tells me, making me blush at the things she’s walked in on over the years.


“On that note, bye.” I tell her, before she tells me anything I pretended she didn’t see.


Hunter was an idea, I know he went to college for business management, but it could be applied to what Rachel does. I went to find Rachel and offer her the job. She was helping to uncrate a few paintings when I asked her to stop so we could talk.


“Are you happy with just being my assistant, because if you aren’t, we should decide what you you see doing in the future.” I tell her.


“I like it better now that I don’t have to fight Stephen. I want to work for you, I like my job and my boss.” She tells me.


“Did you ever think you should be my agent and not Stephen?” I ask her.


“Yes, he didn’t understand that in the end, we work for you. I understand he wanted to keep you in the mix, but there’s also a point where your life couldn’t just be the next show or the next party. There has to be time for you to feed your muse, for you it’s being with Brian.” She tells me.


“I want you to take over for Stephen. I need to talk to Brian because I also want to possibly open up an agency that manages talent, so I’m not the only client you have.” I tell her.


“Who’s going to take care of you, if I have to deal with other people?” She asks.


“It’s time for me to look for a new assistant, Cynthia suggested Hunter, and it’s an idea, but the kid drives me insane some days.” I tell her.


“I’ll make sure he’s trained to do the job I did.” She tells me, excited.


I left her to finish getting everything done, and went to my room and started working on Rage. Brian told me he would call when he was free, so I was free to goof off. I grabbed my pad and started messing around with how to get Zephyr from a dig with Ken, to the planet Rage was on, when I kept hearing this buzzing sound. I looked around and caught my phone before it fell off the side table.


“Hey Linds.” I answered.


“I just found out that you and Brian left town already. I was hoping to catch you guys.” She tells me.


“We are going to be in London for a while. I figured I’d be here for the show in Paris since I was already here.” I tell her.


“I tried to get Brian but his phone is going to voicemail.” She tells me.


“He’s in meetings all day, so it’s going to be later before he will answer. Did you need something?” I ask her.


“Mel and I are going to move back to Pittsburgh, and I wanted to see if I could stay with you while I look for a place for us.” She tells me.


“We won’t be home, but Deb or Michael would love to have you.” I tell her.


“I’ll call them next. Brian told me that you let Stephen go.” She tells me.


“We wanted different things, he couldn’t understand not wanting to continue the way it’s been for the last four years.” I tell her.


“What are you going to do for an agent?” She asks.


“Rachel is taking over, she’s been doing it anyway.” I tell her.


“What are you going to do for an assistant?” She asks.


I already can see what Lindsay is thinking, and no, I want her to be my friend, and there is no way that will work if she works for me. It’s something that Stephen taught me, that you don’t hire someone who would be in constant conflict with what you want. Hunter wouldn’t think he knew better than I did.


“I have someone in mind, it will give him experience and something for his resume.” I tell her.


“I better go and call Michael to see if it’s okay to stay with them.” She tells me, and I can hear the hurt in her voice.


“Tell him he gets Jenny for any amount of time and he’ll let you stay forever. Tell Mel and Gus I said hi.” I tell her, hanging up.


I also wouldn’t want to see the fight that Rachel would have on her hands if Lindsay didn’t think Rachel was doing what Lindsay thought was the right thing.


BRIAN

I wanted to surprise Justin by being in Paris with him. Robert told me he hated being anywhere that he had to be away from Julie too. I almost rolled my eyes but he’s right, I hate when Justin and I are apart. On the way to the hotel I called Lindsay back, since she called three times already.


“I already talked to Justin, I didn’t know you two were out of town.” She tells me, sounding upset.


“We had business, like always. It’s nothing new, why are you upset?” I ask her.


“It's really dumb, but I talked to Justin and he told me about Rachel becoming his agent. Then when I asked about his assistant he told me he already had someone in mind. It hurt that he never thought of me.” She sighs.


“He wouldn’t want to put you in the position of his employee. You wouldn't be able to do your job because of your friendship.” I tell her.


“I can be professional.” She tells me.


“Not in the way Justin would need you to be. You've always thought you knew more than Justin, and as his assistant your job would be to listen to what he wants, not telling what you think he should be doing. He needs someone who can do what Rachel did, and separate his job from his personal life.” I tell her.


“You and Ted manage it.” She argues.


“How did you see raising Gus and Jenny if you had to put in the kind of hours Rachel does? It's not nine to five with weekends off, a lot of people call to arrange things at different hours because they aren’t in Pittsburgh or even the US. Rachel had to always be ready with Justin’s schedule, to make sure they didn’t cross bookings. It's not a job for someone who wants to be home with family.” I tell her.


“I know I couldn't do it, but it would have been nice to be asked.” She tells me.


“It's not about your feelings, it's about what he needs to do his job. Is that what you were calling for?” I ask.


“No, Mel and I decided to move back. I was going to see if I could stay with you guys but Justin said to ask Michael or Deb.” She tells me.


“It would be smarter to ask someone who's in town.” I tell her.


“I just didn't want to put them out, I could use the loft if it's okay?” She asks.


“Hunter was going to use it, he didn’t want his fiancé to have Mikey talking him to death.” I tell her, knowing I need to call Hunter so he knows the code.


“It guess Michael it is then.” She tells me, hanging up.


Just like Justin, I don't want Lindsay trying to change things in our house. Justin seems to think once she stayed we'd have problems convincing her to leave. I planned to have everyone over, but not until we made it our home. Lindsay can sometimes not understand that Justin and I know what we want.


Chapter 9 by starlight

JUSTIN


I fell asleep, dreaming of two white blonds boys running all over Britin. Every time I caught up to them they hid, yelling it wasn’t time yet for them to play with me. When they were outside in the dream, Brian was with them, being the father he never thought he could be. Gus ended up next to me, telling me that he was happy that I'd stayed in his life as his Jus. It was something that only he got to call me. I woke up to Brian kissing my neck, thinking I was still dreaming, he was in London the last time I checked.


“Please tell me you're here and I’m not just dreaming about sex and waking up to have to handle the problem myself.” I tell him.


Brian pulled my underwear down and took me in his mouth, which meant he was here, since it never felt this good in a dream. I heard the snap of the lube and then his fingers tickling my crease. When he pushed his finger in, I couldn’t do more than squirm when he rubbed my prostate. He added a second then a third finger while I fucked myself on his hand. His mouth and fingers had me biting my hand to keep from screaming loud enough that no one in the hotel wouldn’t know what we were doing.


“I need you to fuck me.” I tell him, holding his face to look at me.


“I want to taste you first.” He tells me, taking my dick back in his mouth and rubbing my walls harder.


I couldn’t hold off, so I gave him what he wanted, and watched his throat as he swallowed it all. He got to his knees and I took the lube to help him get where I wanted him. I played with the magic dick that always left me cumming three times a night, before leading it to where it loves to be. Brian thrust in all the way and held still until it was less pain and more pleasure. Like me, he enjoyed a little burn, because we both knew the rest was worth it.


He ran his hands down my thighs before grabbing my hips to angle his thrusts to allow me to get hard faster. He set a brutal pace, but it's how I like it. I used my legs around him to pull him further into me. The only noise in the room was the slapping of his balls on my ass and the groaning and quiet commands from me for him to fuck us through the walls. My walls started pulsing and I stroked myself because I needed to cum again. I came all over my chest and he thrust a few more times before filling me.


My legs fell and Brian laid on my chest, still hard and moving slower while he caught his breath. I had to make him stop because it became too much. He turned over and pulled me to him.


“Thank God, usually every time I wake up it’s to have to rub out the problem.” I joke.


“We don’t have to do that anymore. What were you dreaming about, because it didn’t seem that erotic?” He asks me.


“Just about Britin and living there.” I wasn’t going to mention having twins again, he managed to disbelieve Marilyn, and me dreaming about it will just freak him out.


“Lindsay called.” He tells me.


“I was hoping she wouldn’t get upset, but I just don’t see us being able to still be friends if she works for me. It pisses me off that she called you to tell like we were kids.” I tell him.


“She’ll stop when she sees it only pisses me off.” He tell me.


“I wanted to be the one that told you that I promoted Rachel.” I tell him.


“I already knew you were going to, so it wasn’t a surprise. You knew you needed to do it, you just didn’t want to have to find someone you would actually have to train to do what she knows to do naturally.” He tells me.


“I swear you read my mind, you know, like when I could complete your sentences. Didn’t that bother you?” I smirk.


“I gave up when I realized we were bound for Stepfordville.” He tells me.


“We will never be that, I don’t see us as always abstaining if we want to have fun. I think if we want to mix it up then we do. Right now I don’t want other people but I’m not closed to it.” I tell him.


“I don’t mind, but I don’t want it in our house, and only if we do it together. I just like our condom free life, and if we go back to that we have to start using the damn things again.” He tells me.


“Yeah, it’s a strong argument to not change what we decided.” I tell him.


“Justin, I got syphilis even while being careful, why bother when we’re happy with the way things are?” He asks me.


“I just don’t want you to think I’m not okay if you want to add a little something to our lives. If we don’t, than I’m good with that too.” I tell him.


“Toys don’t expect more than you or I want to give, so if we need it, than we start there.” He tells me.


“See, we aren’t stepfords, they blush at toys, but you know a dildo and butt plugs just make me want to play more.” I tease, happy that we both really don’t see adding other people. Maybe later when we want to spice things up, but it doesn’t really seem like we need it.


“Twat, other men don’t know what you do, so why bother with it when you give me what I need.” He tells me.


We napped for a while, and when I woke up I needed to tell him what Lindsay didn’t know to tell him for me.


“Cynthia suggested I offer Hunter my assistant position. It would give him something for his resume and let him see more of the world. I think it’s a good idea.” I tell him.


“Just make sure not to kill him, Mikey would actually be more upset than when Captain Astro died.” He jokes.


“I also have a business proposition for you.” I tell him climbing on his lap while he lays there.


“Could you have left out ‘business’, proposition had a nice ring to it.” He tells me, moving his hips.


“It can wait.” I tell him, grinding my ass against his hard cock.


“I’m sure it can, but usually we’re too wasted to talk after, so what would you like to offer me?” He asks.


“I want to start a talent agency. When I first thought about it I was only thinking of offering to help artists, but Cynthia told me I need to broaden my idea to all the arts.” I tell him, grabbing the lube and rubbing it on Brian and my cock.


“It’s something I’ve thought about, Stephen just advertises his clients differently. It would make it easier to have a pool of potential people to offer my clients, if you didn’t just stick to artists. The artists could also work campaigns to make money, and free them from jobs that make it harder for them to do what they really want. It’s why I argued with you when you said you could do it on your own. I knew you could, but it would take longer for you to come home to me.” He tells me, holding us together while I rub my cock against his.


“At least you let me work on accounts, not just take money from you.” I tell him, lifting up to rub him with my ass while he strokes me.


“I knew you’d run off and try to work if I didn’t offer you a way to make the money you needed. You were to worried that it would look like me supporting you, but you were my husband even without the marriage.” He tells me. He changed the angle and thrust into me.


“I’m glad you see it that way, so I can tell Ted that it’s fine to combine our accounts?” I ask, hoping he just lets it go. Then slam down on him so he hopefully is too busy to object.


“Justin, I already told Ted to take care of it. We’re married for life, and that means that we share everything with each other.” He tells me, stroking me faster and hissing when I push him all the way back in me.


“Then the agency goes under Kinnetik’s umbrella.” I tell him, leaning over him kissing him as he thrusts up from below.


“Justin, it would be better for your name to be included in this. The people you want to attract will be more likely to come to you if it has your name attached to it.” He tells me, and slams up into me.


“We can talk about it later.” I tell him, hoping he’ll get it when we go to the show tonight. “Are Robert and Julie coming tonight?” I ask, moving faster because I need to cum.


“They were leaving on the shuttle later today. They should be here soon. Julie was thrilled to be invited by us.” He tells me, twisting his hands over the head of my dick then sliding his hand down to rub my balls.


“Hunter and Shelby’s flight is coming in late, I’m having Rachel arrange to have them picked up. She said she would have something they could change into in the limo. Should I wait and tell Hunter?” I ask him, as he turns me onto my back and starts power thrusting into me.


“Tell him, most likely Lindsay will have said something and he’ll try to get you to give him the job. He wants to see the world, and you’ll give him a way to do that.” He tells me, right before closing his eyes as he cums inside me and I cover his chest.


“So how was my proposition?” I smirk.


We got up to shower and see if there was any cum left in our balls after the fourth round. The answer was a fabulous yes. Brian smiled when he pulled out my suit and shoes. He loves that I actually have to wear more than what he refers to as my speckled clothing. He doesn’t seem to get that wearing anything when I work only means having to replace it. Then again it means shopping so he probably would love for me to wear things so he could shop constantly.


I asked him to come to the hall my paintings were in alone. I wanted him to see what I did before everyone else does. He walked up to the paintings and looked at all of them until he got to the middle and saw the sign telling everyone who painted what they were seeing. I waited to see what he thought. He turned to me and pulled me in front of him looking up at it.


“JUSTIN TAYLOR-KINNEY” It read.


“Why?” He asks.


“It’s who I’ve been since you picked me up under a streetlight.” I tell him.



Chapter 10 by starlight

BRIAN


Mikey once asked me if it was strange to see Justin being the center of the room at shows. Justin just attracts people to him, even when he’d rather be left alone. I’ve always wondered why he stood under the streetlight when we first met. It was like there was this light surrounding him that made it impossible to look away. Not that I was prepared for Justin to be more than a trick. But he came along and I broke every rule I’d made. I’ve always been the ‘behind the scenes’ guy, Justin was the one dancing on the stage.


I would watch as Justin worked the room, only going to him when I could see his anxiety level going up. Justin still has problems with groups of people around him, it’s never gone away. I’ve always seen it, and when he started having shows it worried him that people would see it as him being an asshole, when it was just that he needed a break from too many people around him. We developed a way that it would seem like Justin was needed somewhere, by me coming over and whispering in his ear. Justin would be able to excuse himself and we’d go to a room where he could be alone for a few minutes. Once Rachel came along she figured out what I’d been doing, and made it possible for Justin to get away when I couldn’t be there. It’s why Rachel has my undying gratitude. Tonight, neither of us had to do anything, because Hunter and Shelby were running around with Justin. Justin hasn’t asked Hunter yet, but I can tell he is watching to see how Hunter deals with people.


I stayed with Robert and Julie for most of the night, but they eventually bought two of Justin’s paintings and were gifted one from Justin for using Kinnetik. He would give them all away if we let him, but the fact that he likes being able to afford things keeps that from happening. When the show was over they only packed away five out of the twenty he had in the show, but those five he never planned to sell. He painted them as a series about our relationship, I wasn’t a big fan of the second one, but then it was the truth we never hid from. People saw the series as abstract, because there are no people, just random things from moments in our relationship in them.


The first one has the streetlight in the middle of a club with glitter all around it. The steps on either side have random things on each set of stairs, in the middle of the light is the scarf, as pristine as the night I wore it to his prom. He said that putting the blood on it erased the symbolism. That was the night he knew I loved him, he still has no memory of any of it. So I told him what I never told him about that night; that I didn’t hide what he meant to me.


The second painting is hard for me sometimes, it shows the one thing I could have done to save us from the split. A candlelight picnic, that had the candle still smoldering, with a champagne bottle flung carelessly in the middle. On the outside of it was a violin, destroyed, and the loft door barred. I never liked this one, because Justin still blames himself for all of it.


The third one was of the loft door wide open and his duffle bag laying in the middle of the floor. The empty loft on one side and an office with the light on and clothes flung everywhere on the other.


In the fourth one, he painted the finish line, with a bike laying over the line and a ticket to Hollywood crumpled on the ground next to it.


The last one had two suits hanging in a closet, but the ring box empty in the middle of the bed.


Justin told me no one would really want them, he just liked seeing them. The twat was offered money for all of them. Hunter followed Rachel when she told him that she needed his help. I guess Justin let Rachel offer Hunter the job, because we heard the very loud, “This isn’t some joke to get me back for hitting on Brian is it?”


“Rachel said she wanted to start training him and wanted to be the one who asked him.” Justin tells me.


“You just don’t want to deal with the hundred hours of questions he would want to ask you.” I tell him.


“Like you weren’t going to let Cynthia handle it, when you offered him a job.” He teases me.


“Well yeah, I pay her outrageous amounts to deal with people for me.” I tell him, kissing him.


“I think I’m going to retire the five paintings.” He tells me.


“Why, getting tired of people trying to buy them?” I ask.


“No, they can finally come home for good.” He tells me.


MICHAEL


When Hunter called me, I left my shop in my assistant’s capable hands and ran down the street, excited. I called Ben and told him to meet me at the diner, probably sounding like a crazy man. I was, but hey, my life only gets so much excitement at a time. I really had to wonder how I ended up being the boring married guy, but then, my husband is hot as hell and thinks I’m amazing, so I’m good with it. Ma was there, talking to Emmett and Ted, I rushed over, practically tingling because I heard it first.


“Did you drink too many energy drinks this morning?” Ted asks, when I was hoping up and down.


“I’m just excited, but we have to wait for Ben before I say anything.” I tell them, because Emmett is going to be jumping me for the gossip I got first.


“Michael, we already know Jenny’s coming home.” Ted tells me.


“Please, this is way better.” I boast.


“Where the hell is Ben!” Emmett asks impatiently


Ben came running in looking worried, and shit, I didn’t mean to scare him. “It’s great news for Hunter.” I tell him.


“Tell us dammit.” Emmett shakes me.


“Justin offered him a job working for him in Rachel’s place, as his assistant. He is going to be making more than Ben and I do.” I tell them, frowning when Ted didn’t seem surprised.


“Michael, I’m Justin’s accountant. Which means I have to get the packet together for anyone Justin hires. Rachel called me to tell me to have one ready for Hunter because Justin was offering him a job.” Ted tells me.


“Jesus, I would have worked for Justin for what he’s planning to pay Hunter.” I tell him.


“Justin would have paid you to keep that from happening.” Emmett jokes.


“Screw you, Justin loves me.” I tell them.


“From far, far away, in another galaxy. Especially after attempting to plan his wedding.” Ben jokes.


“We can plan Hunter’s, so the plans don’t go to waste.” I tell them.


“I’m the party planner, you're a party planning disaster.” Emmett tells me.


“My parties aren’t bad.” I tell him.


“Do you really want me to have to say it, obviously you need examples. The Senator comes to mind, or maybe the tenth anniversary surprise that surprised all of us.” Emmett tells me. “Or hey, inviting Brian to meet the dork fags.” He adds.


“Okay I’ll give you that one, but I wouldn’t do that to Hunter.” I tell them.


“Why don’t we save planning anything until they set a date? We can have a party celebrating his job when he comes home. Jenny will be here and you know he would love it.” Ben tells me.


“Guess who will be sending me the panels for Rage now.” I tell them.


“I don’t know, could it be Hunter, Justin’s assistant?” Ted asks, like a smart ass.


“Hunter is what?” Ma asks.


“Justin gave Hunter the job to take over for Rachel.” I tell her.


“Where is Rachel going?” She asks not happy.


“Justin gave Rachel the job of his agent. She’d been doing all along anyway.” Ted tells her.


“That’s my Sunshine, he takes care of family.” She tells us.


“Yeah he does Deb.” Ted tells her.


“Teddy, what do you mean by that?” Emmett asks.


“He and Brian wanted me to do this when there was no way for you to bother them. Deb they paid your mortgage off a couple of years ago. The money you were giving me is in an account for you when you want it. Michael, Justin put a percentage of Rage’s earnings in an account for you and Ben. He said that even though he took over Rage, you were still the co-creator and you earned it.” Ted tells us.


“I haven’t done that for him.” I tell him, feeling like shit.


“Michael, you never made as much off your comic, but Justin loved that you showed the world what you were capable of and the love you have for Ken.” Ted tells me.


“He wanted you to have the opportunity to be able to enjoy things that sometimes aren’t possible when you live on a budget.” Emmett tells me.


“He asked why you and Ben didn’t come on the last trip we all went on. Emmett and I told him that you and Ben couldn’t afford trips, with Hunter in college and trying to see Jenny when you could. He said he wanted his brother to be able to have fun before he got too old.” Ted tells me laughing.


“I could just put it in the account we use for Jenny and Hunter.” I tell Ben.


“You don’t need to, Brian and Mel worked it out so Jenny won’t have to worry about college.” Ted tells me.


“What the hell am I supposed to do with it?” I ask them.


“Go to Tibet, take a vacation, whatever you want.” Ted tells us.


“Do you still want to go, we could swing by London and save Justin from the shopping nightmare that is Brian?” I ask Ben.


“I’d love to show you Tibet.” Ben tells me.


“Okay, I’m going to ask now that it’s likely I’m going. Where is Tibet?” I ask, as they all laugh at me.


Chapter 11 by starlight

MICHAEL


Lindsay showed up with my Honeybun and I forgot to mention Hunter’s news. I was thrilled that they were finally moving closer, but it was ironic that now I could afford to go there, with what Justin did for Ben and me. I wanted Ben to be able to scale back and rest more. It wasn’t like his HIV was causing him any problems right now, but being able to rest more couldn’t hurt him. He argued that he could still work the way he did. I argued that being able to be home with me should be important too. I told him Justin knew what was important to him, and a career wasn’t it. Ben agreed to not offer to teach any summer courses, since we’d be traveling. It was exciting to think we were going to see all the things Ben talked about.


Lindsay seemed down for some reason, but she and I never really talked about her problems. I think for me it still stings a little what she did when she was suing Mel and I. None of us were right, but using Hunter and Ben to win was harder for me to let go of. I understand she didn’t want to lose her rights to be in Jenny’s life, but it was really wrong to use Hunter’s life as if he had any choice in what he did. I managed to at least get to the point where we could talk to each other before they left, and to at least stay somewhat friends. I just didn’t get involved in anything between her and Mel anymore. I learned that it really wasn’t my business after the whole mediation.


“I have some good news.” I tell her, when Ben took Jenny and Gus to play outside.


“I could use some, I’m depressed for no real reason.” She tells me.


“Are you and Mel okay?” I ask wanting to shut my mouth.


“We’re the best we’ve ever been, it’s just something else that bothers me. I feel like a friend is still pissed at me for what I did years ago.” She tells me.


“I’ll listen, but usually I’m crap at giving advice. Ben is the person who knows how to do that, probably from the years of having to rein me in.” I joke.


“This is going to sound like I’m jealous and I am a little. Justin needs a new assistant and he didn’t even think to ask me.” She tells me.


“Um, you know, it might be better for you to talk to Ben.” I tell her, wishing I went outside with the kids.


I know she was only thinking of Justin’s career, but even I didn’t like that she went behind his back and got Brian to agree that he needed to let Justin go. Brian had finally stopped fighting what we all knew, that Justin was the only person he’d ever love. How she could think taking that away was good for either of them, really bothered me.


“Michael, I know you have an opinion, so say it.” She insists.


“Just remember, I always put my foot in it, so it’s likely I’m going to again.” I tell her.


“I’ll deal with it.” She tells me.


“You seem to always think you know more than Justin does about what he wants. You’ve never worked with Justin, I have, and he knows what he wants and he does what it takes, no matter what anyone thinks. I asked him why he gave in so easily and you know what he said? He told me that he knew he’d eventually have to take on New York, but at the time he wanted to be happy with Brian. That for the first time, they weren’t fighting to be with each other. You going to Brian screwed that up, after he already told you he didn’t want to do that. So he probably knows that you’d be trying to run his life, not work for him. You do that, take things too far, hell we all do. I get why Brian and Justin didn’t want everyone at the wedding, we’d all be trying to change what they wanted. Something neither of them ever did to us.” I tell her, not sure how she’s going to take what I have to say next, but I’m not going to let her ruin Hunter’s moment. “He asked Hunter.” I tell her.


“Hunter doesn’t know anything about the art world, he’ll end up saying something he shouldn’t in front of people he shouldn’t. Justin needs someone who knows artists.” She tells me.


“To be his assistant, because Hunter’s job is only to make sure things get scheduled and that everything Justin needs done is done. He doesn’t need to know who painted what, but he does, because Hunter is interested in art. He told me that sitting with Justin and discussing what he saw in a painting helped him to see it differently. Hunter really loved the shows that we went to when Justin made me go. I look, but we all know I prefer comics, Hunter told me that painting speaks to him, and he can see his life in art. He might never be an artist, but he saw beauty in some of the ugliness that artists bring to life. You know which ones Hunter said showed him all he needed to know about Brian and Justin, the five Justin never allowed to sell. He said it was like Justin found the most important things in their relationship and brought them to life. Justin didn’t paint Brian or himself in them, but that each one was as if they left the room and what you see are what was left of them in those paintings. You don’t get to say that Hunter doesn’t know art, when he seems to understand it the way Justin does and you never could.” I tell her, angry that she dismissed Hunter like that.


“Michael, I’m sure she didn’t mean it that way.” Ben says, leaving the door open so he can see the kids.


I walked into Ben’s arms because I knew he’d understand why I’m angry. Hunter’s had to fight all his life, and Lindsay making it sound like he was still the kid we first met angers me. Hunter became a better man than any of us.


“I shouldn’t have said it that way. It’s not like I could even do the job, but it hurts that Justin didn’t even offer it to me.” She tells us.


“Michael go play with Jenny and Gus.” Ben tells me.


I walked out and let Ben handle it, because he’s not hot headed like me.


“Lindsay, I don’t fucking like the way you dismiss our son like he’s still the kid we brought home.” I hear, smiling at how much Ben and I think alike.


BRIAN


I woke up and knew I must be still dreaming. I was at Britin, and could see painting one in the hall outside my door. I got up when I heard giggling, and went out the bedroom door to the backyard. Out of the corner of my eye I see two blond children running into the woods. I run after them, because they’re too young to be by themselves. It was like they were popping in and out of sight as I chased them. I passed painting two as if it no longer mattered, and three, then I saw four propped up on a tree and heard a childish voice say it’s not as good as the ones ahead. I ran in that direction and saw not five, but a new one. It showed the blond children surrounded by fireflies they were trying to catch, and I saw another where they were holding Gus’s hands pointing out over a mountain range.


“Don’t forget to take us there one day.” One of the boys says, peeking out from behind a tree.


“Who are you?” I ask.


“You’ll meet us one day, time to wake up Daddy.” He yells, taking off with the other boy.


“Brian, wake up.”


I opened my eyes to Justin looking at me strangely. I launched myself at him putting my head on his chest, hearing his heart beating. Only instead of freaking out about it, I felt really good about it.


“Sorry to wake you, since you seem to think whatever you were dreaming about was funny, but Michael said he needed to talk to you. I came in to tell you he sounded upset.” He tells me.


“He’s always excited or upset.” I tell him.


“Not the way he did on the phone, I think Lindsay pissed him off.” Justin tells me.


“Can we just be us for a second?” I asked him.


“We can be whatever you want for life.” He kisses my head.


It’s different that Justin and Michael are better friends than Lindsay and Justin are. Not that Justin and Lindsay have a bad relationship, it’s just, as time went on, Justin outgrew what Lindsay could teach him. He told me that Michael was still teaching him, by learning to accept changes in life. Justin doesn’t see that Michael learned from him that life could be more by wanting things and working to get them. Justin came from the same background as Lindsay, but didn’t need approval and status to make him happy. It’s something Lindsay still has a hard time with. She craves the approval of her peers.


I grabbed my phone when Rachel showed up with Hunter in tow. Justin and Rachel were taking Hunter to get clothes. I would have gone, but Rachel understands style, so I called Mikey, waving them out the door.


“You have Justin worried, and that leads to him wanting to talk, not fuck.” I kid.


“Sorry to ruin the marathon.” He says glummly.


“What’s wrong?” I ask.


“You know I’m thrilled that Hunter’s going to work for Justin.” He tells me.


“Don’t worry, we won’t let your baby get lost.” I joke.


“Brian, I know Justin will take care of him. Lindsay just pissed me off.” He tells me.


“She’s upset because Justin never offered her the job.” I tell him.


“I get that, but she kind of put down Hunter and I just needed to talk so I don’t keep being pissed about it.” He tells me. “Normally I’d talk to Ben, because you know he’s the reasonable one between us, but even Ben is pissed. Lindsay’s now trying to say that it might be better not to move back. I don’t want Jenny and Gus in Canada.” He tells me.


“What did she say, and don’t take an hour to explain it.” I tell him.


“I should have just told Justin, but he’d be on the first plane to yell at her too.” He grumbles.


“Mikey.” I say, to get him to talk, and talk he did.


“Why is she acting like Hunter is still the kid we all first met?” He asks when he finished.


“Because he’s going to live in a world she wanted to. I’ll talk to her.” I tell him.


“No you won’t, because it’s time for us to take up the mantle for you. You and Justin have twins to birth.” He laughs, hanging up.


MEL


I wanted to surprise everyone by coming down for the weekend. Lindsay and I need to pick a house that we both like. I got to Michael and Ben’s house and found Lindsay sitting outside, upset. I don’t get it, she was happy when she left, saying it would be nice to see everyone.


“Mel maybe it’s a mistake to come back.” Were the first words out of her mouth when she saw me.


“Why are you saying that?” I ask, when she hugged me tightly.


“Michael and Ben aren’t really thrilled I’m here.” She tells me.


“Lindsay, it’s not that we aren’t thrilled, but we don’t like the way you talked as if Hunter wasn’t qualified to have a job working for Justin.” Ben said.


“You both took it as if I was putting Hunter down.” She tell him, with tears in her eyes.


“How else would we take you saying Hunter would embarrass himself in front of people in the art world?” Ben asks.


“Lindsay why?” I ask.


“Justin didn’t even ask me if I wanted the job.” She tells me, which explains it all.


“It’s time you stop trying to live a life you gave up, or start trying to do it yourself. I know you say that you couldn’t do what he does, but you didn’t even try. I want you to try to achieve your dreams without the excuses you give. Being here will make it possible for you to do it because I’ll be making enough that you can paint or sketch. Jenny and Gus will have family that can help us so you don’t get bogged down trying to use them as an excuse for why you can’t do things. We need to move back because you’re being held back, just like I was in Canada.” I tell her.


“I love you, you know.” She tells me, and I can see she understands now. “I wish I didn’t say what I did.” She tells Ben.

 

“We all say things that we know better than to say.” Michael tells her.

Chapter 12 by starlight

 

 BRIAN


Robert and I were standing in the empty conference room after finishing the meeting. We were going out for a drink before heading home. Justin called to let me know that he was taking Hunter and Shelby around before they flew back. Hunter had the keys to our house and to the loft, understanding that his job was to insure everything was taken care of in Pittsburgh until we came back. I pulled him aside and let him know that no one was to be invited to the house, but it was up to him who came to the loft. He understood the trust Justin and I were placing on him.


Robert is one of those clients who likes to know the people he works with, but wasn't intrusive about it. He constantly talks about his kids and wife, and was proud of the fact they still loved each other as much now as the day they met. I could tell he was curious about Justin and me, but hadn't felt the need to ask. It didn’t bother me when he finally did.


“How long have you been with Justin?” Robert asked.


“Eleven years, we met right before he finished high school.” I tell him.


“Why wait so long to get married?” He asked.


“We were going to get married six years ago, but canceled because he had an opportunity to start his career. We agreed to get married when he could come home for good.” I tell him.


“I can understand wanting to let him do what was good for his career, but it sounds like you two already knew what you wanted.” He tells me.


“Justin’s stubborn, and wanted to do it on his own. He knew if we went through with the wedding, I’d want to support him while he lived in New York. It took everything in me not to buy him an apartment. I think in a way, he wanted to prove to himself that he could do it on his own. It’s something we had a hard time with, because when we met, he felt like he was relying on me to support us. Which he never needed me for, he worked at a diner, created a comic, and even went to Hollywood to work on the art for the film. He’s worked harder than anyone I know, but never saw it that way. He bought our apartment in New York as soon as his career took off. It took time, but we’re both finally in a place where our careers allowed us to be in the same place.” I tell him.


“He did well, a lot of artists never make it as far as Justin has. Julie said the reason she loves his work is because he leaves it up to the viewer to interpret what they see. She did wonder what the series of five meant to Justin.” He tells me.


“It’s his interpretation of our relationship in the first five years. He didn’t want to paint us in it because he told me that each painting was as if we’d left the scene, and that was what was left behind. He’s planning to retire the paintings and send them home.” I tell him.


“Is that why they were never for sale?” He asks.


“They were too personal for him to sell.” I tell him.


“It must be nice to have an artist for a husband, you get paintings, while the rest of us settle for pictures.” He jokes.


“Trust me, Justin takes pictures as if he couldn’t paint them better. I have a feeling when we have kids there won’t be a minute of their lives not caught on film.” I tell him.


“Kids age you and keep you young at the same time. Julie and I thought we wanted a dozen, but the three we have changed our minds.” He tells me.


“Justin and I have a son with friends, but this time we wanted to have children who lived with us. We’re waiting to find out if we’re going to be fathers.” I tell him.


“Hopefully one day I’ll meet your children. After what I’ve seen so far on this campaign, it tells me that you and I have a future together. Don’t be surprised if you start hearing from other businesses here and abroad. Kinnetik is making a name for itself globally.” He tells me.


“I set out to do that so I could be where Justin needs to be.” I tell him, paying the check.


JUSTIN


I made sure Hunter left with a credit card, so he could purchase what he needed for work and if he just wanted to take Shelby out once in awhile. I remember those days and want my assistant to be happy when I put him through seven day work weeks. Hunter balked at first at the pay, but he understood that there would be times when we wouldn’t be home for a couple of weeks, which meant his life would be put on hold for mine. He had more questions than Rachel ever asked in the time she worked for me.


“I get that when you have shows that I’ll be busy, but what do I do when your home and not working?” He asks.


“You and Rachel are going to be working closely, keeping my schedule, but when I’m home I do a lot of other things that I’ll need you to help with. Rage is probably the easiest, because you just deliver the finished boards to Michael, he takes it from there. When I paint, I like people around me so I can talk through anything when I’m having problems. Feel free to offer opinions if you want, it helps me when I’m working to see it through your eyes. You also have to stay in contact with Cynthia, because I work on things for Kinnetik when I have time, and she syncs Brian’s schedule to mine when I need to be somewhere, or he wants me for parties or in a meeting, which you’ll be attending with us. You can bring Shelby to anything but the meetings at Kinnetik, but only because of confidentiality. You are never to talk about what you see or hear in those meetings. If asked by anyone about me or Brian at shows or parties, you don’t answer anything unless it’s something you’ve cleared with Cynthia, Rachel, or us.” I tell him.


“Do people ask about you a lot?” Hunter asks.


“Most of the time they want to know about the bashing, which I don’t talk about.” I tell him.


“Why not?” Shelby asks.


“I don’t remember any of it, and don’t know the answers. I also don’t want to have my art lauded because I managed to relearn everything. The art I did before the bashing isn’t the art you see now, because my views on the world are different. The bashing changed the way I produce, but not it’s not the only thing about me.” I tell him.


“The family really doesn’t talk about it much.” Hunter tells Shelby.


“I don’t want to it to be remembered that way. I want to remember it the way Brian told me, before it happened.” I tell them, smiling at what that night really meant to Brian and me.


“Ben called and said that Lindsay wasn’t thrilled that you offered me the job. He was pissed but wouldn’t tell me why, I’m curious as to why me and not her?’ He asks.


“It’s because you’ll listen when I tell you to do something and she can’t. Lindsay has a her own ideas on how my career is supposed to be, and it’s not what I want. Her intentions are good, but it’s a life that she dreamed of, and can only see it her way. I want to still be able to be friends with her, but can’t see it happening if I end up firing her. Hunter, you see art in ways that even the artists sometimes don’t. We’ve spent enough time together at shows that you impressed me with how you saw it. Don’t let Lindsay or anyone else tell you they could do your job better, if you have questions come to Rachel, Brian, or me, we’ve been running my career for years.” I tell him.


“I wanted to ask something, but I don’t know if it’s okay in front of Shelby.” He tells me.


“As long as Shelby knows not to discuss it, ask away.” I tell him.


“I understand.” Shelby tells us.


“Rachel said there will be times when I need to help you leave the room, and to do it in a way that no one realizes what I’m doing. How do you want me to do that?” He asks.


“If Brian isn’t there, then just come and whisper something as if you need me. The reason is, that sometimes too many strange people around spikes my anxiety levels, and I just need to a break from it. You can tell if you need to do it when you see me massaging my hand, it’s something I do when I need to get away.” I tell him.


I took Hunter and Shelby to catch their flight, letting him know to call if there are any problems at home. Hunter assured me that he’s spent years dealing with the gang, and could handle Lindsay if she tried to bother him. On my way back to the house we rented I called Michael, to let him know his baby was coming home.


“Ben and I are going to Tibet.” He tells me.


“Did he finally tell you where that is?” I laugh.


“Yes smart ass, I was just kidding when I asked.” He tells me.


“You know, if you would look up something other than porn, you could have found out.” I tell him.


“I stopped looking up porn when I ran across you and Brian’s. I went blind seeing your white ass.” He jokes.


“Make sure Lindsay doesn’t give Hunter a hard time.” I tell him, changing the subject, wondering if there was really any out there. I think I’ll check.


“Mel showed up and pretty much told her to stop making excuses and be the artist that she wants to be. I managed to calm down, but I didn’t like the way she made it sound like Hunter would embarrass you.” He tells me.


“Michael, artists are a breed of crazy people, Hunter will fit right in. There is nothing Hunter could do that they haven’t. I have a feeling it will be interesting to see what Hunter can do.” I tell him.


“She doesn’t get that Hunter can read people in away none of us can, it comes from his life on the streets.” He tells me.


“You don’t have to tell me that, but maybe explain it to Lindsay. Remember she hasn’t been around to see Hunter grow up.” I tell him.


I hung up, telling him it was fine if he and Ben came to visit on their way. He tried to thank me for the money, but I told him, without him there wouldn’t have been Rage. We might have separated the comic, but it didn’t change that we created it all together. Zephyr’s adventures were a  moderate success, but only because Michael played it safe, in a way we never did with Rage. I had plans to get Ken laid more when I got back. Michael still blushes when he sees some of the things we created.


HUNTER


Shelby fell asleep while my brain was still trying to absorb that Justin wanted me. Rachel told me Cynthia suggested me, but that Justin seemed really happy with the idea of having me around. When I first started attending the shows with the family, I didn’t really want to go. I only went because Justin seemed to want me there. He kept making me walk with him and tell him what I saw. It was hard, because I felt like I’d say something wrong. Only it seemed like it didn’t matter what I said. Justin said that art is what the viewer wants to see, not what the artist intended. It made it easier for me to tell him the emotions. I remember sitting in front of two small paintings of a women, in the first she was wasted away from drugs, and then in the second she was blooming when she cleaned up her act. Justin came over and quietly asked what it made me feel. I told him it was my dream for years that the second one would happen to my mother. It made me go see if anything had changed, it did, she died from an overdose. Brian showed up at my dorm and took me to lunch, saying Justin worried about how seeing that would affect me. It was the first time I realized that Justin thought about me as more than Michael’s annoying son.


Brian let me tell him, I didn’t want to tell Michael and Ben, because they would be show up thinking I needed them to coddle me. Brian didn’t do that, he just shrugged and said that I had a family who loved me enough to make up for what my mother couldn’t do. Then asked if I wanted him and Justin to buy her a headstone. It was when I found out Brian cared about me, because he knew already that my mother passed away. He told me that unless I asked, he didn’t see any reason to tell me. I never really understood Brian, because he always seemed closed off, unless you were Michael or Justin. He told me I wasn’t the only one who wished for parents who gave a shit, but it didn’t mean we didn’t wait to see if they’d change. I shouldn’t let that she was too weak to see what she had, affect the man I would become.


I took what he told me and stopped letting things like HIV stop me from being the person my Dads, Brian, and Justin seemed to see. When it came time to pick a field I honestly picked Business Management because I liked the idea of one day owning my own business. Michael and Brian did it and even though they were different business, it made them happy. Justin told me that if what he wanted to do happened, that there was a chance to advance into a new job. In a way, Justin is an industry of his own, and I’m getting in on the ground floor.


“What are you thinking?” Shelby asks.


“That my life is just beginning, and I already have more than I could ever believe I would.” I tell him, kissing his forehead.


“I’m so jealous, but at the same time excited for you.” He tells me.


“You’re going to be with me on this ride. I want us to see everything and do anything you ever wanted. You know Justin wants to see your work.” I tell him.


“He’s going to think it’s horrible.” He tells me.


“It’s not horrible, you're letting a bunch of people who teach tell you that. I love your work, but you keep trying to paint what people want.” I tell him.


“Justin told me that I need to give myself to my art. He offered to let me draw some of his panels for Rage. He said it would help me branch out until I found me.” He tells me.


“Whatever you do, don’t tell my Dad, he’ll pester you to death to find out what Justin’s up to. Oh God, I just realized what Justin did to me.” I tell him groaning.



Chapter 13 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Just a note Impossible won't be updated until sometime tomorrow. 

BEN  


Michael always acts like Hunter has been away for years. It was like he thought Hunter couldn’t find a grocery store every time we visited him at college. He spent all day shopping for food to put in the loft for Hunter and Shelby, but then filled a cart with food for our house for Hunter. Which wouldn’t be so bad if Deb wasn’t doing the same thing for us, all the time. I finally had to stop him if we were going to have room to pick up our son, before he had to take a cab to get him.


We were both proud that Hunter landed his first job because Justin believed in him. It was why I was angry at Lindsay, Hunter overcame so much and worked hard for his degree. He never slacked off, he told us he wanted to be more than a kid from the street. He stopped seeing his life as if it was already over and told me that one day he wanted to do everything, and experience the things he kept seeing as out of reach.


Brian showed up in my office one day and told me it was great to love Hunter, but Michael and I needed to stop seeing the kid who we wanted to wrap in blanket. Hunter needed to make mistakes and Michael and I running around trying to coddle him was driving the kid insane. I asked Brian if he remembered who his best friend was. Michael is a mother hen.


I will say I’m surprised by who Hunter brought home, because up till now it’s usually a girl. As usual, Brian didn’t seem very surprised by it. Brian always seems to know things before the rest of us, but keeps it to himself. We like Shelby, but Brian is right, Hunter brought home a version of Justin in a way, but then no one will ever be Justin to any of us.


When Justin left for New York, Michael at first started almost acting as if he was glad Justin was gone. It took me witnessing the many phone calls to see that Michael missed Justin. They developed a relationship outside of Brian, that even Brian admits scares the hell out of him. Michael told me when we left Babylon after the reopening, that Justin called him and told him to get Brian out of the loft. That Babylon needed to go on as the place they all found each other. Every time Justin called, Michael would drop what we were doing to check on Brian and report back to Justin that we got him out.


We all knew something was going on during the third year, because Brian was hard to deal with. Brian wouldn’t tell us what was going on, but the only time Brian acted like this was when he and Justin were pulling away from each other. Finally Brian took off, and came back happier, but didn’t tell us why. It was when we started seeing less of Brian, because he was going to see Justin’s shows and generally spend time with Justin and Gus.


Michael and I were jealous that we couldn’t see Jenny as much, but she couldn’t travel the way Gus could. Justin offered to have Rachel pick Jenny up and deliver her if there was a problem getting her from one place to the other. Michael took him up on it for the summers, and we got to see Jenny more often. We would go to the girls in Canada, but it wasn’t something we could afford often.


I came out of my musing when Michael was practically running to get to Hunter. Hunter might roll his eyes at Michael’s enthusiasm, but loves all the attention that he gets from us.


“You know we just saw each other a week ago?” He asks, when Michael practically strangled him to death.


“You know that you still have to see your grandmother, and your sister, who was very upset that you got to see Justin. Do you realize Jenny is going to want to know everything about Paris and what you did while you were there.” Michael tells him, leading us to baggage.


“I’m sure it’s Jenny who wants to know.” Hunter tells him as we wait.


Michael grabbed the suitcase Hunter took with him, turning to leave when Hunter stopped him pointing at three more that were coming out.


“What did Brian do, make you bring home his shopping trip before Justin figured it out?” Michael asks.


“No, actually Justin and Rachel took me shopping for my new job and for presents for everyone. He found you another troll for the front yard.” Hunter tells Michael.


“I put one troll in the yard and Justin can’t resist sending me one everywhere he goes.” Michael pretends to complain.


“I think he’s got you this one for the JT doll you had made for him.” Hunter tells him.


Michael groaned as we made it to the car. Michael had the doll made when they reached fifty issues, not realizing how many strange places the gang were going to put JT. It became a game when Michael complained that Justin didn’t call or come home enough. Emmett would steal the thing and dress it like a busboy and have it sitting on Michael’s plate. Ted would have it sitting on the bar with a shot of Beam when we were out. Brian scowled at it a lot, asking Michael why he thought Ken looked anything like Justin, but would put it in his pocket before leaving. Justin really never got to have the doll for any longer than his visit.


BRIAN


Justin and I were eating dinner at a small restaurant when Gus called to talk to us. I was hoping with it being summer, that Mel and Lindsay would let him come stay with us. I think Gus was hoping his Jus would talk them into it. Justin handed me the phone, after telling Gus that he'd see if Michael could bring him.


“Dad, they aren't leaving here for another three weeks. I wanted to come now. All the moms want to do is see their friends and look at houses.” He tells me.


“Your moms won’t let you travel alone.” I tell him.  


“Why can't Jus come?” He asks.


“Brian, I can go. I miss him too.” Justin begs.


Justin and Gus can always get me to cave when they gang up on me. It's something they use to get me to go along with them. How the hell am I going to survive two more?


“Just don’t get trapped there.” I tell him


“Brian, I want to talk to Lindsay about something, and I hope you’ll agree with me.” He tells me.


“Justin, don’t let her get involved in your career. We both know that’s a mistake.” I tell him.


“Lindsay recognizes talent, who better to scout it? She could work her own hours and still be able to take care of Gus and Jenny.” He tells me.


“Make sure she understands that in the end, you're the boss.” He tells me.


DEB


I knew something happened at Michael’s house with Lindsay, but they all were keeping whatever it was quiet. Lindsay could never understand that her pupil surpassed her, and wasn't looking to her for advice anymore. She's going to have a hard time when the kids grow up, not wanting her around if she doesn't watch out.


It was a lesson I learned when Michael stood up to me about Ben. I was used to Michael giving in to me, and took it too far. I was so angry at Michael for telling me who I could date that I didn’t see it was the same thing I did to him with Ben. My son fell in love with someone other than Brian, and I should have been happy for him, but instead I treated Ben’s HIV the way people treated my boys for being gay. It wasn’t a moment I will ever be proud of. I couldn’t help the way I felt, I watched Vic struggling to survive and wasting away, and all I could think was I never wanted to outlive my son. Only I was trying to ruin Michael’s chance to be happy out of fear. I’ll always be proud of Michael for fighting for Ben’s place at his side. Michael knew Brian belonged to Justin and fought it, but managed to find a brother he never had.


All my boys found happiness, now that Hunter had a young man. Vic is most likely smiling down on us, happy that he was right. He told me that one day I would be surrounded by my boys and their children. I was melancholy, I had years before Gus and Jenny will turn all our hair grey. I waited for Jen to come over, she wanted to congratulate Hunter on getting the job. I also thought we could let Lindsay talk to us if she needed to, she seemed as if she was lost coming here. She was realizing that when they left, like any relationships, distances changes the things people used to need you for. Justin didn’t need Jen or I trying to take care of him, but sometimes it was more like Justin was taking care of us. That young man grew up too fast, wanting to do everything and not being able to wait for anything to happen. Jen came in, catching Gus when he went to tell her that his Jus was coming to take him to London.


“Dad said Jus could come, but to not let anyone keep him.” Gus tell her.


“I think your Dad understands that Jus will stay a few days.” Jen tells him.


“Jenny’s jealous that I get to go, but if she came she wouldn’t get to see her Dads.” Gus tells her.


“I’m sure now that Michael and Ben can afford it, Jenny will get to do as many things as you do.” Lindsay tells him.


“Gus why don’t you go play with Jenny so she doesn’t miss you so much.” I tell him.


Jen shook her head when she heard my tone. Lindsay almost made it sound like they were spoiling Gus with all the attention. Gus ran upstairs and I pointed to a chair for Lindsay to put her ass in.


“Why are you acting like a spoiled child yourself?” I ask her.


“Mel and I are moving here so the kids can see their fathers more. And none of them are even planning on being here.” She tells me.


“Brian had business and took his husband, the same way you and Mel do everything together. Michael and Ben are taking a trip Ben always wanted to take. Why can’t you be happy for everyone?” Jen asks her.


“I guess I just feel like my life is standing still.” She tells Jen.


“Lindsay, find something you want to do. It doesn’t have to set the world on fire, just something to make you happy. You are having the same problem Michael did when he returned from Portland, everyone was moving on and Michael felt like he was still at the starting line. Michael is happy every day, because he loves introducing kids to comics. It might not seem like a big deal, but he found something to do with all his useless knowledge, and the people who hang out with him love to sit around debating what happens next. It’s about finding what you can be happy doing, not about what you wish you could do. I love feeding people, and work only because it makes me happy.” I tell her.


“Get off your ass and find what you want to do to be happy.” Jen tells her.

 

“Lindsay, how many ways do we all need to tell you that, this is your chance to forge a path.” Mel tells her.

Chapter 14 by starlight

HUNTER


I was walking into the house when Justin called me. He needed me to arrange a flight for him to come here to pick up Gus, and one back for them four days after he arrived. Then he gave me a list of things he wanted me to arrange for him while he was here. My dads were grinning at watching me work. He sent me the airline to arrange the flights with while I was putting the things he wanted scheduled into his planner. I finished what I was doing, looking around at everyone watching me.


“What?” I ask.


“You're hard at work already.” Jen explain.


“Justin leads a busy life. I honestly never realized how much he does. When we were talking I asked him how he has time for Brian; with painting, the comic, and working for Kinnetik. When he explained all that, it made sense, he needed an assistant so he could sleep.” I tell her.


“Justin was always working on three to four things at a time. When they started Rage, he was working the diner, going to college, and babysitting for Lindsay and I when we needed him. I used to feel like a slacker compared to him.” Mel tells me.


“How long is Sunshine staying?” Deb asks.


“Four days, he needed me to arrange some netting he wanted, before he went back.” I tell them.


“Make sure he knows he's having dinner with us while he's here.” Deb tells me.


“He already knew you wouldn't let him leave without attending dinner.” I tell her.


I got up and went out back to call Emmett. Justin wanted Emmett to plan a party for when they came home, and to decorate Gus’s room, so it was ready for Gus. I saw Lindsay sitting outside, and figured I could set up a time for her to meet with Justin about the job he planned to offer her. He told me it was fine to tell her what he wanted to talk to her about. I knew he was just letting me get any problems I might have with Lindsay out of the way. I could call Emmett after I talked to Lindsay.


“I actually need to talk to you.” I tell her, sitting down.


“I should apologize to you for being upset that Justin hired you.” She tells me.


“Lindsay, you can’t help how you feel. I won’t pretend that I wished he offered you the job instead of me. It's really nice that Justin wanted me to work for him.” I tell her.


“I said some things that upset Michael and Ben about you. They both seemed to forgive me, but I can tell it still upsets them.” She tells me.


“We all say things when we're upset, My dad can come up with some real winners. Being family means understanding no one's perfect. I've done a lot of growing up while you were gone, hopefully being here, you'll figure out I'm not the mouthy brat you knew.” I tell her.


“It's just you’re going to enter a world that's different from dinners at Deb’s. Justin is mingling with high powered business people, and others who see image as everything. He’s throwing you into that world, expecting you to just understand it.” She tells me.


“I think you see Justin’s life differently than it is. I'm sure I'll attend some of those things you mentioned, but a lot of what he wants is someone to make it possible for him to have time for Brian, and anything else he wants to do. Justin isn't running from one party to the next, in fact he rarely attends them at all, unless he has to. When he does, it's not me he expects to do the talking. Rachel told me that when Justin does attend, Brian is always there and no one cares who I am when they're out. I'm the man behind the scenes, not front and center to talk for Justin. So a lot of your concerns seem to be based on how you imagine his life runs.” I tell her.


“It's hard to not wish I was a part of his world.” She tells me.


“He knows he hurt your feelings, but he also only needed an assistant, not someone who would try to butt heads with him when you don't like what he asks of you. It would cause problems between you and Justin. I remember Dad telling me how going back to his old job, under the guy who used to work for him, was a nightmare. In a way, you and Justin would be in the same situation. I actually came to see if you had time to talk to Justin when he gets here. He wanted to see if you wanted a job with the agency he's planning on starting.” I tell her.


“He should be kicking my ass, but instead, finds a way to really make me feel like I was being a bitch.” She groans.


“He thinks you would make a great scout for talent. With the talent agency being based in Pittsburgh, he said he would need someone who can spot talent. Which is rather egotistical of him, since you were the one who recognized his talent.” I joke. “He thinks it’s a job you could do and still be able to raise your family. The perks are, you get to travel, and can bring your family with you while you work. He told me to explain it so you would have time to think about it before he offers it to you.” I tell her.


“I need to talk to Mel, but it’s really an amazing opportunity.” She tells me, excited.


“You won’t be just looking for artists, but anyone who needs representation. Brian wants to include actors and athletes too. From a business perspective it makes sense to have people Kinnetik can pool from when they are looking for people for advertising.” I tell her.


“I want you to know, I’m so proud of the man you became.” She tells me leaning her head on my shoulder.


“I wanted to live, not wait to die. Ben never let HIV be his reason for not having anything he wanted in his life. I couldn’t do anything less than what my dad did, but I didn’t do it for him, but for me. I wanted to live for me and have all the things I thought weren’t possible for me. I’ll never create paintings the way Justin does, but I get to help him show the world his work. He’s giving you the opportunity to help others, the way you helped keep him going when he wasn’t sure he could.” I tell her.


I went to call the next person while Lindsay sat crying. It’s hard not to be emotional when you realize that someone recognizes your abilities. I had to take some deep breaths, before I ended up crying with her.


MICHAEL


I’d been trying not to make Shelby feel like I’m an overbearing father. I can’t help being happy that Hunter found someone who loves him. Hunter always feared that there was no one who could look past the HIV, and see that the disease didn’t make him incapable of being in a relationship. I knew it was possible, I married Ben, not his disease. Shelby became my son when he loved my son. I sat next to him as he sketched on a pad.


It reminded me of watching Justin, who couldn’t sit still without a sketch pad. He seemed uncomfortable with me looking at him drawing Ma and Jen sitting in the kitchen gossiping. I didn’t want him to think I expected him to let me see what he was doing.


“Sorry, I’m so used to the way Justin works. He could sit in a room talking and sketching while we all looked at what he was doing.” I tell him.


“I just don’t have his talent. Most of my paintings or sketches seem to be missing what he does.” He tells me, and I understand what he missed.


“Justin never does anything if he doesn’t feel strongly about it. When we create Rage, you can see how much Justin loves Brian in every detail Justin puts in his panels. I’m not a fine arts fan, but I see the same details in his paintings.” I tell him.


“I wanted to ask you something, it’s kind of personal.” He tells me.


“In this family there’s no such thing as personal. You’re family, so always feel like you can ask anything you want to know.” I tell him.


“Hunter said that you once loved Brian.” He tells me.


“I do, but not the way I thought I did. It took meeting Ben for me to see that while Brian will always be someone I loved for years, Ben gives me more than Brian ever could. I couldn’t be jealous that Brian loved Justin the way Ben loves me.” I tell him.


“Hunter loves me in a way that no one ever has. He’s so alive and willing to put himself out there. He didn’t care what anyone said when he started introducing me to the people he hung out with. Most guys have a problem with introducing a boyfriend, when they were only dating girls before you.” He tells me.


“He was raised in an alternative family. He knew we didn’t care who he brought home, as long as the person treats him well. I was surprised but no less happy, if you’d been a woman I would have welcomed you.” I tell him.


“My family would like to have dinner together with all of you. My mom is dying to plan the wedding.” He tells me.


“I would love to meet your parents, and tell your mother I’m available to plan the wedding. Emmett seems to think he should do it.” I tell him, excited.


JUSTIN


Brian took my phone away before I texted Hunter to death. He handed it to Rachel and dragged me to the bathroom at the airport. I giggled as he pushed me in the stall and locked it when he came in.


“Didn’t we almost get caught the last time we did this?” I ask him.


“It's not my fault you screamed. I was busy doing everything you demanded.” He tells me, pulling my cock out.


“I think I should remind you, it was you being demanding that time.” I tell him, kissing and biting his chest.


“The only thing I said was, Gala seriously needed to up the entertainment if they expected anyone to want to be there.” He tells me, moaning when I took him in my mouth.


I pulled back for a second. “So you followed me to the bathroom to boost their attendance?” I joke, taking him all the way down my throat.


Brian couldn’t not be a smart ass. “We most likely guaranteed next year's attendance. Holy fucking hell!” He yelled, when I nipped and licked the crown of his cock.


He pulled me up and turned me toward the door, putting my hands over the top before thrusting into me. We didn't waste time, since being arrested wasn’t on the agenda for today. I helped by meeting his thrusts, and he helped by stroking my cock. We came together and managed to get dressed before my flight. Rachel stood in front of the door shaking her head at us.


“Don’t you two ever get enough?” She asks.


“There's no such thing as enough.” Brian tells her.


“I'm so taking Gus with me when they get back, God only knows what it will be like after four days without each other.” Rachel tells us.


Brian kissed me until I had to go, which should tell her what's coming when I get back. Gus loves Rachel, so it's all good.





Chapter 15 by starlight

JUSTIN


Hunter showed up with Gus and Jenny to pick me up. It's always hard when I can see that Gus isn't thrilled that he has to share me with Jenny. It worried me how Gus would handle Brian and I having children together.


“Do we have to stay?” Gus asks.


“I have a few things I need to do before we go back.” I tell him.


“Can I stay with you?” He asks.


“Of course you can, but at least make sure the moms get time with you so they don't miss you.” I tell him.


“Mel wanted to talk to you, she asked if you'd mind seeing her first.” Hunter tells me quietly.


I nodded, not really sure why Mel needed to talk to me. Hunter called her while we were getting in the car and said she would meet us at Kinnetik. When we got there, Cynthia handed me some things Brian needed and asked me to stop and see Murph before I left. Hunter hung out with the kids in reception. I went to Brian’s office to call him while I waited.


“I'm here, I realized we need to talk to Gus about him possibly having more siblings.” I tell him.


“Which I already planned. We knew it wasn't going to be easy for him. He's been our only child all his life. You and I just need him to see that nothing will change his place in our lives.” He tells me.


“It's just, I remember how I felt when Molly was born. My mom had to share her attention with Molly. Gus is going to have to deal with his siblings living with us.” I tell him, as Mel comes in.


“We can't change the way things are, we’ll just make him understand that he's still the same son we love.” He tells me.


“Mel’s here, I'll call you later.” I tell him, hanging up.


I got up, hugging her. Mel and I have always had a better relationship than Lindsay and I. Mel never tried to get involved in my life in any way, except to encourage me to be happy.


“What did you need to talk to me about?” I ask.


“Lindsay and this job offer. She's gone from moping around to walking on air. Which I'm thrilled about, but I don't want you feeling like you had to offer her a job, when she seemed upset that you didn’t offer her the job as your assistant.” She tells me.


“It's a business decision. If I didn't think Lindsay had what I needed to do the job, I wouldn’t bother asking her. When she worked for Sydney, he trusted her decisions on who to invite to show. She can see the potential in an artist. I'm hoping she can use that to spot up-and-comers in other fields. She’s really that good at it.” I tell her.


“She's had a hard time not being able to figure out what would make her happy. I want her to find something she enjoys and gives her that high I get when I win tough cases. She's spent so much time looking for what all of us managed to have, while she sits and hears about it.” She tells me.


“She wasn't a bad artist, her work just didn’t go further than what people had already done. In a lot of ways, it comes from the way college teaches traditional art. They help guide common mistakes, but can't teach an artist how to capture something and make it into their own vision. It's something an artist has to be able to do on their own. Lindsay was always afraid to find her own way of showing the world a different view.” I tell her.


“What makes you think she would be able to do the job you're offering her?” Mel asks.


“I believe she can, why don't you?” I ask.


“I never said she couldn't.” She said defensively.


“Do you want to know why Hunter?” I ask, changing the subject.


“I didn’t want to ask, but I did wonder why him and not someone who's experienced.” She tells me.


“I needed someone who understood what they've being hired to do, is the main reason. It's also that being around him at shows, he saw more than what people write that we artists were trying to convey. He could look at a painting and see himself. He let the work speak to his emotions. It's the greatest compliment any creator can have. It's also something we rarely get. He feeds my need to want to create so I can see it through his eyes. It's something only Brian was ever able to do for me. If Hunter was an artist, we'd see most likely the next Van Gogh. He told me what Lindsay said about having problems with the people he might meet, but Lindsay doesn’t see what I do in Hunter.” I tell her.


“I'm sure she didn’t mean it as an insult to Hunter.” She tells me.


“She doesn’t know the guy all the rest of us were around to see growing up. If I thought Hunter was hurt by what she said, it would have had me here for a different reason, not to offer her a job. Which, as much as I can understand your concerns, it’s really something that you should have discussed with Lindsay, not me.” I tell her.


“I just didn’t want her to think I wasn’t excited for her. I am, but I didn’t want this to be another thing she tried and it disappointed her because she couldn’t do.” She tells me.


“You need to stop seeing everything as something that will hurt Lindsay. Brian never told me I couldn’t do what I tried, or stopped me even when he could see that it might not be in my best interest to do what I was doing. He was just there so I could turn to him when I needed him. If he did the things you seem to want to do for Lindsay, I’d be still trying to figure out what to do with my life.” I tell her.


“I don’t think Brian could stop you from anything.” She tells me.


“He could if he wanted to, but then he wouldn’t have stuck around and loved me the way he does. He loves me for never waiting for him to give me the answers, but for me doing what it took to find them out for myself.” I tell her.


“I’m too busy trying to protect Lindsay from everything, is what you’re saying.” She tells me.


“Michael and Ben were doing the same thing to Hunter. They were too busy being worried that Hunter would get hurt. Not seeing that it’s something all of us have to experience so we don’t keep making the same mistakes. It made it easier on Hunter to tell him his worries or fears. If you and Lindsay can’t tell each other those things, then you're missing out on a better relationship.” I tell her.


“Brian tells you those things?” She asked.


“He’s human, and yes we talk when he needs to talk through anything that bothers him. I made the mistake of not talking to him once and found out I was the one believing the wrong thing.” I tell her.


“Justin, Brian wouldn’t have listened to you when Ethan happened.” She tells me.


“I’m not talking about Ethan. Brian and I made peace with what I did. It was during the years I was having to constantly be away from Brian. I stopped calling him for a few weeks and took off, thinking my career would eventually be the reason Brian gave up on me. He had the perfect opportunity to let me give up, but told me that he would be there when I was finished and ready. He made it so I could have both him and my career, because he wanted me to have everything I dreamed I could. If he had said come home, I would have. You need to give Lindsay the chance Brian always gave me, and believe in her while letting her tell you things without feeling like she has to hide her feelings from you.” I tell her.


“When did you advance to the teacher and not the student in this relationship?” She asks.


“I spent years being taught by the best people.” I tell her.


“Gus will be thrilled to have other siblings. He knows it doesn’t change anything for him.” Mel tells me.


“Jenny lives with you, this child or children will be living with us.” I tell her.


“Then we all make sure Gus spends a lot of time with you and Brian. Involve him in everything, it will make the baby or babies more than potential toy stealers and attention takers.” She tells me.


“See, you still have things teach me.” I tell her kissing her.


We walked out to the kids talking to Cynthia, but Hunter not there. Cynthia pointed to the bathroom.


“You might want to check on him. I kept the kids when he looked like he needed space.” She tells me.


I went in to see what happened and saw Hunter staring at himself in the mirror. “What do you see?” I asked him.


“The possibilities of everything.” He tells me.


HUNTER


I was going to check if Justin cared if I took the kids to the diner. They were getting bored sitting here while Mel seemed to want to spend Justin’s entire time here talking. I opened the door and stopped when I heard Justin talking about me. He really saw me that way? I just didn’t know how to handle the overwhelming emotions I felt, hearing him say I feed him when he worked.


I ran in the bathroom and called my Dad.


“Hunter when are you guys getting here?” Ben asks.


“Mel wanted to talk to Justin first.” I tell him, shaking.


“Hunter, what’s wrong?” He asks, worried like always.


“I just heard the way Justin described me, and it was never how I saw myself.” I tell him.


“As someone we all are proud to know and can’t wait to see what great things you do. Son, every day you’ve been with us, you awe me.” He tells me.


“Thank you for loving me no matter what stupid thing I was doing.” I tell him.


“Michael and I love you for giving us a son, one who never stopped showing us what a great person we were raising.” He tells me.


I hung up and sat in a stall, bawling like a baby. I guess knew these things, but it’s different to hear it out loud from someone else than in my head. I was staring at myself, thinking that I’m going to give Van Gogh a run for renaissance man, when Justin walked in and didn’t comment on why my eyes were red, but asked like he had since his first show, ‘What do you see?’, I saw the world, and every possibility to leave my mark on it.




Chapter 16 by starlight

JUSTIN


I checked with Murph before leaving. He wanted approval to send Brian the boards. I was confused about why he was asking me.


“You know what he wants better than I do most of the time. I really don't want to send these if he's going to yell across the Atlantic that we're idiots.” He tells me.


“Murph, it's only when you contract out to the idiot twins that Brian yells.” I tell him.


“Okay, I just wanted to see how Paris went.” He admits.


I told him about the show, and about Rachel becoming my agent. Also giving him Hunter’s contact information for when he needed something from me. Murph and I became friends when he called one night, stuck, and wanted to toss around ideas with me.


Hunter stopped to pick Shelby up from the loft before going to Deb's. He was carrying a sketch pad with him and I'd been curious about his work. When I asked to see it, he got nervous but handed it to me.


“If you don’t want me to look, it’s fine.” I tell him.


“I do, but it’s hard when I’ve seen yours, and these aren’t anywhere near what you do. I found one in the bedroom at the loft. It was under the bed in a box and Hunter said he didn’t know when it was done, but it’s not anything new. It’s just, looking at it, I started to really see what you were telling me, and I sort of had Hunter pose like it. Well, I didn’t draw it completely.” He tells me.


I flipped through one’s where he drew random things as if they were in front of him. I got through a few that were drawn at Deb’s house, and found the one he talked about. Hunter was laying in bed asleep, and unlike the one I remember, Hunter was covered up.


“You found one of Brian like this at the loft?” I asked.


“I was putting boxes under the bed and found a box that had the one of Brian in it. There were other things in the box, but I left it alone.” He tells me.


“Hunter, when you get a chance can you bring me the box.” I tell him.


“What do you think?” He asks about the drawing he did, biting his nail.


“This sketch of Hunter is really the first one where you showed emotion.” I tell him.


‘The rest are good, bordering on great. It’s just, I can see the love you have for your subject in the one with Hunter.” I tell him.


“I keep telling him he’s good.” Hunter tells me.


When we got there, Deb was putting lunch on the table and Lindsay came over to talk to me.


“Thank you for offering me the job. I feel like a complete asshole for being upset this whole time.” She tells me.


“I made a decision based on my needs, with Brian agreeing to branch out Kinnetik, I wanted people who could do the job. You’ve always been good at seeing the potential in an artist, it’s a skill most people don’t posses. If I didn’t think that, I wouldn’t have offered you a job.”  I tell her.


“Sunshine, get your butt over here and eat.” Deb yells from the kitchen.


“She’s really big on feeding people.” Shelby tells me.


“Ma just thinks we don’t eat if she isn’t cooking.” Michael tells him, sitting next to me.


“Like you and I didn’t raid the refrigerator and take it to the loft, since Brian never put food in the refrigerator.” I tell him.


“It was one of the things I liked when you were there. There was always something to eat.” Michael tells me.


“Where are you going to be staying while you're here?” Deb asks.


“The house, I have paintings being shipped here from New York and Paris. Hunter and I are going to be storing them in the morning. I was going to ask if you and Shelby want to stay tonight.” I tell Hunter.


“When is everyone else being invited?” Deb asks.


“Brian and I are going to have everyone over after we get back. There are still a few things that we needed to do before people come over.” I tell her.


“You’re going to wait for Ben and I to get back, aren’t you?” Michael asks me.


“Yes Mikey, we all are dying with anticipation for the many pictures you plan to torture us all with.” I tell him.


“Everyone loves my pictures.” He tells us.


“Of course we do Dad, we’d just like to see more then each tree you pass.” Hunter teases.


I promised Deb to have dinner before going back to London.


“Why did you guys pick a house away from everyone?” Shelby asked when we got there.


“Brian chose it, it's the place he asked me to marry him. I had made some offhand comments about my dream house after saying no to marrying him. Then he brings me here to show me he was serious.” I tell him.


“You said no at first?” Hunter asks.


“I felt like he was reacting to everything that happened. We weren't really together at the time.” I tell him.


“But how do you say no when he does this?” Hunter waves around.


“Believe it or not, I didn’t say yes until he convinced me.” I tell them.


“Everyone always acts like you two were the super couple.” Shelby tells me.


“Far from it. We were everything you could do wrong. In the end we knew we were going to be together. Brian and I struggled a lot with our idea of a relationship. He didn’t even tell me he loved me until five years into our relationship. I knew he did, he showed me constantly. I really believe he didn’t say it because he wanted to be able to say when he knew he was ready to give me what I wanted for us.” I tell him.


“It’s hard to imagine staying with someone who couldn’t say it to you.” Shelby tells me.


“I loved him from our first meeting. He stood by me through a lot of things that most people wouldn’t have.” I tell him.


I took Shelby with me to my studio and let him walk around. “This was one of the first rooms Brian had done.” I tell him.


“Did he live here while you were gone?” He asks.


“No. He told me that it was our house and until we lived here together, he didn’t want to be here.” I tell him.


“Brian really supports you doesn’t he?’ He tells me.


“In everything.” I tell him.


“Dad told me, making Jus happy is his reason for doing anything.” Gus tells him, pulling out his laptop to play.


I took out a few old pieces and let Shelby look. Gus came over to help me stretch a new canvas.


“You don’t just buy them done?” Shelby asked.


“Jus told me it's because they aren't always the right size.” Gus tells him.


“I guess you help Jus a lot?” Shelby asks.


“Yep, it's my time with Jus. He told me he likes noise around him when he works.” Gus tells him.


“How do you concentrate with people around?” He asks.


“I like hearing what they think while I’m working. Michael is the only one who never offers an opinion on what I do, but he told me a lot of that is because he really didn’t get most of my work. He’ll sit around with me and drag me off to keep me from forgetting things we need to do. Ben said watching me work with chaos surrounding me seemed to bring more life into what I was doing. He’s right, it’s easier to draw the emotions around you when you see them, rather than sitting around trying to remember what what it was that you felt.” I tell him.


“Is that why you always ask Hunter what he sees?” He asked me.


“I ask because he gives me an answer of how it spoke to him, and no one else. When I ask most people who look at a painting, they throw out what they think I want to hear. Hunter, like Brian, will tell me what I’m really asking for, how it affects them. Hunter’s life, before he met Michael and Ben, was a nightmare, but he could look at art and see that everything wasn’t ugly. It’s something he and Brian have in common. They both dealt with the worst childhoods, but never let it blind them to believing there are good things too.” I tell him.


“My Dad said it’s why he only wants my life to be everything I dreamed of.” Gus tells us, going back to play on his laptop.


“My parents really supported me. They both told me nothing change how they felt.” He tells me.


“Make sure you always thank them for loving you. My mother had a hard time with it at first, but made sure I understood she loved me. My dad will tell you he loves me, but just can’t accept this part of me. He’s willing to have a relationship with me but doesn’t include Brian anytime he wants me to meet him. It left our relationship superficial, because he never hears anything about my life.” I tell him.


“Why bother to see him?” Shelby asks.


“I rarely do, but he’s my father, and Molly still has a good relationship with him. Normally I only go to see her. My schedule tends to be hectic, so if it’s a chance to spend time with my sister, I do it. She always tells me I don’t have to, but in a way I at least like to make sure he’s okay. He wasn’t a bad father, he just wanted me to be something I couldn’t be.” I tell him.


“I don’t really understand that, but that’s because I love my Jus.” Gus mumbles.










Chapter 17 by starlight

JUSTIN


Hunter and I finished storing the last piece when Shelby came in and told me that Emmett was here. I left Hunter and Shelby and ran to greet Emmett. Gus was downstairs telling Emmett that I came here to get him so he could be with me and Brian.


“Well, I came because Jus and your dad wanted me to decorate your room here.” He tell Gus.


“Why are you decorating a room for me?” Gus asks.


“Your Dad and I wanted you to have a room for yourself that is just the way you want it. I just need to know which room you want to be yours.” I tell him.


“I like the room I used last night.” He tells me.


“Well you need to tell Emmett how you want it.” I tell him.


“Are we just doing Gus’s room?” Emmett whispers.


“We haven't been told if we need to have a room for a baby yet.” I whisper.


“You and Dad are going to have more kids?” Gus asks.


“Yes we plan to, but we wanted to tell you only if it we were sure it was happening.” I tell him.


Gus ran to his room, and I ran after him. I knew this wasn't going to be easy on him. Like Brian told me, we just have to make Gus understand it doesn't change his place in our lives. I stopped and called Brian so Gus heard it from both of us.


“Sorry to wake you.” I tell Brian, when he sounded groggy.


“What's going on?” Brian asks.


“Gus found out, Emmett and I were talking about decorating Gus’s room, and then Emmett asked if we were decorating for the baby too. Gus asked and I told him, but he ran off. I wanted to have you on the phone so if he wanted to ask you anything he could.” I tell him.


I knocked on the door and went in to see Gus laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. He looked upset when he looked at me.


“Gus, nothing will change.” I tell him.


“Everything will. You'll be too busy to do anything. The moms said it wouldn't change anything either, but it changed everything.” He tells me.


“What changed?” Brian asked through the speaker.


“Everyone was too busy fighting about Jenny.” He tells Brian.


“Justin and I aren’t going to fight over a baby. There were a lot of things going on at that time. You know that your Mom and Mama were having problems. Justin and I aren’t in that situation.” Brian tells him.


“They moved me away from you.” He tells us.


“They were scared of what happened here.” I tell him.


“No one else left.” He tells me.


“Gus, I can be there as soon as I can get a flight.” Brian tells him.


“I thought you needed to be in London to work.” Gus tells him.


“If you need me, I’ll be there. It’s what I always promised myself when you were taken to Canada. You’re more important to me than any job.” Brian tells him.


“Gus, you’re right, things are going to change, but as far as your Dad and I are concerned it only means another child to love the way we love you. Did Jenny change that your moms loved you?” I ask.


“I know they love me.” He tells me.


“You want to know why I wanted a child?” I ask him.


“We both wanted more children, not just Justin.” Brian tells us.


“Why?” Gus asks.


“I got to see your father fall in love the first time I met you.” I tell him.


“I thought Dad was to afraid to say it to you. Mom said it took him forever to tell you.” He tells me.


“It wasn’t me he fell in love with, it was you. He looked scared and excited, but he loved you from the minute he held you. It was how I knew he did do love, because this tiny, perfect little boy showed him. Then I got to watch you grow up into the son of my heart. I want to do it all over again, with both you and your Dad.” I tell him.


“Sonny boy, I promise you that if you need me or Jus, that we will always be there for you.” Brian tells him.


“The baby is going to call you Dad.” Gus tells me.


“I don’t know what name we are going to use. I think it would get confusing to call both of us Dad.” I tell him.


“I always think of you as my Dad, but you’re my Jus.” He tells me.


“For me, being your Jus is just as important. It told me that I was special to you.” I tell him, remembering the dream I had.


“I’m going to go tell Emmett how I want my room.” He tells me, running out happy.


“Do you think I need to come?” Brian asks me.


“No, I think he still remembers what happened when Jenny was born. He knows more than they think about what was going on. He was four, and being moved out of his home the day Jenny was born. Then being taken to Canada and away from you. Lindsay and Mel didn’t think what it would seem like to Gus.” I tell him.


“Gus won’t have to worry about that with us. I have a feeling that Gus is going to love our children.” He tells me.


“Go back to bed. I’ll be back in a couple days. Later Brian.” I tell him.


“Later Twat.” He tells me, hanging up.


“I was expecting all sorts of ‘I love you’s’, now that you’re married. Thank you for not making me hear the shit my Dad’s do when they call each other.” Hunter tells me.


“Hunter, it’s sweet that your Dads say it so much.” Emmett tells him, rolling his eyes.


“Brian and I always sort of use ‘Later’ in that way. It’s not like he won’t say it, but I like that it doesn’t become overused to where it’s almost meaningless to say it.” I tell them.


“Gus okay?” Hunter asks.


“He’ll be fine, I think he just needed us to reassure him that another child wouldn’t change his place in our lives.” I tell him.


“If he needs to talk about it, let me know. I had the same problem when Jenny was born.” Hunter tells me.


“Was that why you took off?” Emmett asks.


“I felt like all I did was cause problems. They had this new baby that didn’t come with the crap they got when they took me in. I took off, like the child I was, without giving them a chance.” He tells us.


“At Disney no less, some day you're going to explain how you got to be a dwarf.” I joke.


“Did you need me to stay?” Hunter asks me.


“I just wanted to show you how to organize the paintings when they show up here. Brian is going to have some things delivered here too, but all you have to do is store it in the empty bedroom.” I tell him.


“You know you and Brian are like complete opposites when it comes to organization.” Hunter laughs.


“My studio is organized, I know where everything is.” I tell him.


“Does anyone else?” He jokes.


“Rachel did, you know, the best assistant I had.” I joke.


“She the only one you ever really had, not to worry, I’ll figure out your disorganized organization skills. I’m going to the comic shop, Dad needed me help out, apparently Rage is all the Rage.” He giggles, running when I threw a pillow at him.


“You know, I never got the whole comic thing, but I’m still trying to figure out why Michael's not  doing as well, since they're both based off Rage.” Emmett asks.


“If Michael would get Ken to show more than his abs, trust me, he would see a lot more.” I tell Emmett.


“Jus, I’m hungry.” Gus yells.


“I think everything's okay. My son’s hungry.” I tell Emmett.


“Drew wants to have kids one day.” He tells me, following me down.


“Do you want kids? I always saw you being a father one day.” I tell him.


“I guess, but right now we’re both busy.” He tells me.


“I worried that Brian and I wouldn’t have kids. Stephen didn’t want anything distracting me from what he thought I should be.” I tell him.


“Baby, all he saw was the money he could make. If having kids would have made him more money, he would have had you knock up someone.” He tells me.


We spent the rest of the day looking at furniture for Gus’s room. Gus really didn’t care, but I wanted him to know that what he thought counted. When I dropped him off to spend time with Lindsay and Mel, Michael asked if I wanted to go to Woody’s with him and Ben.


“I will never get how Ma can deal with having people around all the time.” Michael tells me.


“Michael accidently walked in on Lindsay in the bathroom.” Ben tells me.


“Michael, women’s bodies are beautiful too.” I tell him.


“It doesn’t mean I wanted to see the money shot. She was bent over when I walked in. It wasn’t a sight I planned on seeing, ever.” He tells me, grabbing my shot of beam and downing it. “Fuck, I’ll never get how you and Brian drink this shit.” He tells me.


“Okay, I think we need to get drunk, since I’m no longer sure I’ll ever get an erection again.” I tell him, laughing.


“See, I told you Justin would understand.” Michael tells Ben, ordering more shots.




Chapter 18 by starlight

MICHAEL


I sort of panicked, okay I panicked. Shelby comes from the same background as Justin, and so I called his mother and him to beg they come with Ma, Ben, and me. I wanted them to like my family and I knew Justin and Jennifer might be able to keep me from saying anything his parents might not like. Ben kept telling me that it was only important that the boys loved each other, and that we all show support for them. He really has too much faith in me not to believe I'll manage to say something wrong. Hello, Michael Novotny; lover of comics, Ben Bruckner, and saying the wrong thing at the absolute worst time here. Let's not even mention where I learned it, and the many colorful words that she taught me. Jen agreed to come, but told me I was overreacting to a simple dinner. How are they not getting that everything needs to be perfect for Hunter?


Justin showed up, looking at me like I was dressed wrong and went to my closet and pulled out a sweater.


“Michael they aren’t getting married tonight, and the restaurant is dressy casual, no need to pull out a suit and tie.” He tells me, taking off my tie.


“I just thought it would look nice.” I tell him.


“If we were going to the Big Q, you'd look ready to work.” He teases.


Ben came out in a towel, and Justin and I sighed together. I didn’t mind, since we still do it to Brian too. It also helps that Justin doesn’t see Ben the way I do. For Justin, it's like he sees a masterpiece he wants to paint. Me, I see the guy who rocks my world. Ben just rolls his eyes and gets dressed, not paying any attention to us.


“If you'd get your illustrator to draw that view, your fan base would be buying more.” Justin tells me.


“You draw Brian in a way that shows the love the characters have for each other, because it's your real feelings you draw. Greg couldn’t do that with Ben and I.” I tell him.


“Michael, it’s there for anyone to see. I'm not saying let him see Ben naked, but if Ben could pose for him would give him an idea of what to draw. You know fans would like seeing Zephyr have sex with a god.” He tells me.


“I'm just not comfortable with my life spread out in a comic that way.” I tell him.


“I'm not JT and Brian isn’t Rage. It might have started out that way, but my stories no longer represent Brian or me. Zephyr and Ken aren’t you and Ben. You've never been that exciting.” He jokes, running from the room.


“He's right, we aren't anything like the characters.” Ben tells me.


“You'd be okay with Ken and Zephyr having sex?” I ask.


“As long as it's Ken and Zephyr, not us.” He tells me.


“I'll think about it, but it's hard for me to have people ogling you.” I tell him.


“You don’t have a problem with Justin when he and you do.” He tells me.


“Justin doesn’t want you in a way that I could get jealous over. He sees you the way he see subjects he paints. He admires the beautiful way you're made, but Brian is who he loves. We both just know we got the goods when we see you guys.” I tell him, smiling.


Justin rode with us, while Hunter picked up Ma and Jennifer. He kept telling me Shelby’s parents were really down to earth and wouldn’t care. We got to the restaurant and I almost wanted to smack Justin when they came dressed up. Shelby’s father Dean took off the tie, looking relieved that we weren’t wearing them. His wife Mary laughed at him, and I felt better.


We were seated and ordering after just a brief introduction, and Mary broke the tension by asking about everyone.


“Shelby tells me that you're a teacher at Carnegie.” She tells Ben.


“I teach Gay studies, but for the summer will be traveling with Michael.” He tells her.


“You own a store?” She asks me.


“I own a comic shop and write one.” I tell her, not sure I should talk about it.


“Michael and I wrote a comic together at one time, but we still bring it together twice a year for a joint issue.” Justin tells her.


“I don’t really know much about comics.” She tells us.


“She’s also not into football, or really, anything we men like.” Dean kids.


“What do you do?” Jennifer asks her.


“I own an insurance company, and Dean works for a marketing firm.” She tells us.


“I’m a waitress at Liberty Diner.” Ma adds.


“I was one when I was going to college, it was a fun job. There are always so many crazy things that happen.” Mary tells Ma.


“I enjoy it, otherwise I might have killed a few Queens that come thinking they’re royalty.” Ma tells her.


“Deb, they only come to see what you’ll throw at them.” Jen laughs.


“She’s really the only reason I still work there sometimes.” Hunter tells them.


“Shelby told us you got a job right out of college, congratulations Hunter.” Dean tells him.


“Justin just can’t live without my smiling face. I was too busy staring at the amount he has to pay people to put up with him.” Hunter tells them, moving when Ma swipes at him.


“He’ll eventually ask for a raise when he never has any free time.” Justin tells them.


“You will, Justin’s impossible when he works.” I tell him.


“How do you all know each other?” Mary asks.


“Justin showed up one day, stealing the heart of my best friend. I felt sorry for him and let him stick around.” I say, wondering if it sounded bad.


“Michael and I were both in love with my husband at one time. Then he found Ben and we realized we liked each other, after torturing each other.” Justin tells them.


“Justin is letting me go with Hunter to events, when Hunter has to attend.” Shelby tells them.


“He’s always wanted to paint like you do.” Mary tells Justin.


“He never will, but I have a feeling we’ll see Shelby paint the way Shelby does.” Ben tells her.


“Justin is going to let me work on Rage to help me branch out. I was going to see if Michael would look at it first since he knows what Rage is supposed to look like.” Shelby tells us.


“Shelby have I told you, you're my favorite yet.” I tell him, smiling.


JUSTIN


Michael seemed to get that Mary and Dean were normal people, and he and Ben managed to get to know them without our help. I was talking to my mom and Deb about Gus and what happened when I saw my father at a table a few over from ours. He saw me and got up to come over. Mary and Dean smiled when they saw him.


“Craig, I haven’t seen you since the last business association dinner.” Dean said shaking his hand.


“I actually noticed you were having dinner with my son, Justin.” He tells him.


“We wanted to meet our son’s fiance’s family. Which included Justin, who hired Hunter.” Dean tells him.


I really prayed for once he wouldn’t say anything to embarrass himself. I could see when he realized Hunter wasn’t a girl, but he managed to keep the disapproval to himself.


“I wanted to see Justin, I didn’t know he was in town.” He tells Dean.


“I’m only here to get my son and go back to London. I wasn’t planning on being here for a long visit.” I tell him.


“You're talking about Brian’s son, aren’t you?” He asks.


“Brian and Justin don’t see Gus that way. He’s a wonderful grandson to me and Deb.” My mom tells him.


“Your sister told me you got married.” He tells me, ignoring my mom.


“Brian and I decided it was time, I mean, it’s been eleven years.” I tell him.


“I need to get back to my table.” He tells me, shaking Dean’s hand before leaving.


“I’m going to assume Craig isn’t going on the list of people we invite.” Dean tells us.


“He’s never approved of that part of my life. He’s less vocal about it now, but he never really wants to talk about Brian. It’s funny, because he always wanted me to go into business, but never sees Brian as anything but the man who made me gay.” I tell them.


“He’s an idiot. He’s missing any chance to be in Justin’s life. Brian never told Justin he can’t see Craig, but Craig tried that on Justin over the years.” Ma tells them.


“What does Brian do?” Dean asks me.


“He owns Kinnetik.” Michael tells him.


“Brian Kinney?” Dean asks.


“That’s my son-in-law.” Mom says proudly.


“I’ve followed his career, he left Vanguard and we all thought he was done. Kinnetik has risen steadily, there was a time I considered putting in an application.” Dean tells us.


“Kinnetik is spreading out, Brian and I talked about a business proposition I want to try. If it works we’ll be opening jobs in Pittsburgh.” I tell him.


“What about your painting?” Mary asks.


“I’ll still do that, but I wanted a family life too. I miss everyone here and want my kids to know the family that supported me when I came out. Michael and Deb opened their home to me and I couldn’t think of better people for my kids to know.” I tell them.


“I’m hoping that I can convince one of the Dads here to help me plan the wedding.” Mary tells us.


“I’m available for anything you need.” Michael tells her.


“Emmett told me to tell both of you he will do it free of charge.” Hunter tells them quickly.


Michael and Mary made plans to get together, ignoring Hunter’s offer to get Emmett to meet them. I walked out with my mom and Deb, seeing my Dad going to his car. I walked over to him, just wanting him to know what he’ll eventually find out anyway.


“Brian and I are planning to have another child. I just wanted you to know.” I tell him.


“I wish I could accept the way you live your life, it’s just not in me.” He tell me.


“My children will just live without knowing you, the way you’re living without actually knowing me. You know, I used to think you were the greatest Dad in the world.” I tell him.


“I never wanted to feel this way about you.” He tells me.


“What, hate me?” I asks.


“I love you, I just don’t like the way you live.” He tells me.


“I live a happy life, with the person I love. I don’t see what’s not to like.” I tell him.


“Then be happy.” He tells me, getting into his car.




Chapter 19 by starlight

BRIAN


Rachel and I were waiting for Justin and Gus’s plane to arrive. I've only spent four days without Justin which isn’t as long as we have spent apart in the past and don't see this happening again. When they came through the gate, Gus ran to me. I needed to look in his eyes to see if he was really okay. Gus is a lot like Justin, he can't hide his feelings. He was smiling up at me and I could still see the worry behind the smile. Justin walked up and kissed me, and I guess I have two people worried about something.


Rachel came with us and took Gus to his room. I pulled Justin into the bedroom where he started unpacking.


“I'm not going to guess what's bothering you.” I tell him.


“It's nothing I haven't dealt with before with my father. It just sucked to watch Shelby’s dad be happy for his son, and know my father wouldn’t ever be.” He tells me.


“What did Craig have to say to you?” I ask, ready to hop a flight if he hurt Justin again.


“Just that it's not in him to accept how I live my life. I told him we were going to have a baby.” He tells me.


“I'm assuming he didn’t jump for joy.” I tell him.


“I told him I live a happy life with you. He just said ‘be happy’, before taking off.” He tells me, sitting next to me on the bed.


“He wanted the ‘all American family values’ Stockwell spouted. I think he’s right, we need to be happy and not let someone who lost all of you, affect you.” I tell him.


“I hated the way he completely ignored my mom in front of everyone.” He tells me, playing with the buttons on my shirt.


“I’m sure Mom really doesn’t care what Craig thinks, she’s found a life that doesn’t include him and she’s happy.” I tell him.


I push Justin back on the bed and take off his shirt, leaning over to kiss the frown off him. Justin unbuttons my shirt and runs his hands over me. He looks at me as if I’m still the twenty-nine year old he first met. I still see him as the twink who turned my world upside down, and knew he loved me the day we met.


We were undressed in seconds. We both knew what the other needed and when I thrust he met me. There was a time when I believed that being with only one person would eventually lead to boredom. There was never a moment with Justin I can say that was true. He held on tight as I moved faster, and when he came I let go, then laid my head on his chest, listening to his heart beating fast.


“Dad, can we eat?” Gus yells through the door.


“You realize we are going to have more years of this?” Justin whispers.


“It’s what we spent years leading up to.” I tell him.


We got downstairs and sat with Gus, eating dinner. He was telling us all the things he wanted to do while we were here.


“We might need to stay an extra month just to do all that.” I tell him.


“Mom was excited that her new job might mean that she takes us with her to places like this.” He tells me.


“I’m sure she is, she always wanted to travel.” Justin tells him.


“Gus, I want you to be able to tell us when something bothers you. I know we talked about the new baby, but I need to know why you think what happened when Jenny was born would be anything like what will happen when Jus and I have another child.” I tell him.


“No one ever talked to me about what was happening. I had to watch Mama and Mom fight over everything. They asked you if they could move, but no one ever asked me what I wanted. It’s like adults make all these decisions that affect me, but don’t think I need to be asked what I think.” He tells me.


“What do you think about us having a baby?” Justin asks him.


“I need to feel like you both include me.” He tells me.


“You didn’t feel that way when Jenny was born?” Justin asks.


“I didn’t even know they were going to have Jenny. It felt like you and Dad were keeping it from me.” He tells Justin.


“Jus and I wanted to tell you together and with us being here, it wasn’t possible.” I tell him.


“Your Mama suggested that you be with us when we find out, and when we go to appointments. Do you think you would like that?” Justin asks him.


“Can I ask you something?” Gus asks us.


“Anything Sonny Boy.” I tell him.


“Why did you let them take me away?” He asks.


“They wanted to go and I didn’t really have the right to stop them. I tried, but in the end I wanted your moms to find what I have with Jus. I think having everyone around made it harder for them. Everyone tends to get involved in each others lives and it causes problems that wouldn’t have happened if left alone.” I tell him.


“Grandma Deb says it’s what families do.” He tell me.


“They do, but there were times when things wouldn’t have happened the way they did if everyone had left it alone. Jus and I couldn’t have a relationship without everyone offering an opinion. It caused more problems between us.” I tell him.


“You and Jus have always been together.” He tells me.


“We had some ups and downs, it was when you were too young to know. Jus blames himself for what happened, but I didn’t help him stay with me. I wanted him to, but I wanted him to have anything he wanted and I let him go. One of the differences for Jus and I is that we never really left each other. He was still there, saving the day.” I tell Gus and Justin.


“You still loved Jus even when he wasn’t with you?” He asks me.


“He didn’t know it, but yes I did.” I tell Gus.


“I knew it, I just forgot.” He tells me.


“Why didn’t Mama and Mom know it?” Gus asks.


“They forgot why they loved each other for a while. It killed your Mama to be away from you.” I tell him.


“She still sings to me and Jenny.” He tells me.


“She probably always will.” Justin tells him.


Justin promised to take Gus out to see the Palace and Big Ben in the morning. They were both ready to fall asleep after dinner.


“It’s weird when you hear how Gus saw things.” Justin tells me as we got in bed.


“It just tells us not to hide things from our kids. It’s something I never understood. Why, as adults we think kids don’t understand things, when we did at that age.” I tell him.


“You know I think everything was my fault when I left you? We were falling apart for so many reasons at the time. It’s that I broke rules that I made, to me what I did before I left was all on me. You might have held the door open but I didn’t have to walk through it.” He tells me.


“You needed to, you needed to see if I was what you wanted. I needed you to go so I could figure out what I wanted.” I tell him.


“It was always you.” He tells me falling asleep.


I thought about it and what led to everything that happened, and he doesn’t realize I wouldn’t have let him stay. I would have made him leave if he hadn’t done what he did. The day I knew I needed him back was the day Michael ended up with a black eye. I remember just wanting to be where Justin was, it didn’t matter that the shit he cheated with was there. It was only Justin and me when we were with each other. Michael going on and on as if Justin hurt him personally, it was just what he said was too close to what happened in that garage. Michael told Justin one day what really happened at the party, and why I did what I did. Justin wasn’t surprised by it, hurt, but not surprised. It was why I told him everything else about that night. It gave Justin a way to forgive Michael for saying that bullshit. Justin told Michael he hated that Michael told me, but knew if it was Daphne he would have told her too.


I heard my favorite giggling and realized I was asleep again. I followed my sons, who kept me company when Justin was gone.






Chapter 20 by starlight

JUSTIN


I woke up to the sound of banging on the front door.  Brian groaned and put a pillow over his head. Gus came running by, saying he would get the door. Michael and Ben had called to let us know they were going to be here today. Brian with his usual sarcasm told me that I got to entertain the kids while he went to work. I reminded him that he was finished with Youth At Play and we only stayed so Michael could visit. I got up and yanked the pillow off Brian’s head.  Which only meant he grabbed me and pulled me down on top of him. I leaned over and forgot why I needed to get up. Brian does that to me, it took me a second to realize someone was sitting on the  bed with us.


“Michael, there might have been a time Justin and I wouldn’t have cared that you watched, actually there was never a time either of us wanted that.” Brian tells him, kissing his cheek.


“You and Justin would never see the outside of the bedroom if I didn’t save the day.” Michael announces.


“Michael, it’s called fucking up my day, not saving it.” Brian tells him, shoving him off the bed.


“Come on, Ben and I are only here for the day.” Michael tells him, running out.


“If we don’t go out there, he’ll just come back.” I tell Brian.


“If he does, it’s his fault.” Brian tells me, turning me on my back.


He grabs the covers and throws them over us while pushing his hands into the shorts I had on. “I hate getting dressed,” He grumbles at the new sleepwear we decided had to happen when Gus came in one morning,


“Get used to it,” I tell him.


“I’m waiting for a reason to call and tell us.” He tells me.


Brian didn’t waste any time taking off my shorts and pulling his down. He grabbed the lube, and was thrusting home. I didn’t really do anything to stop him, because Michael will die if he tries to stop us. We didn’t stop when we heard Ben telling Michael to leave us alone, it only seemed to have Brian moving faster and groaning louder. Then he pulled out, turning me to my knees and slammed back in, making me the loud one. I ran my hand up and down my cock wanting to cum as Brian came, and keep going. It was a few minutes before I came. Michael yelled it was time to get our asses downstairs.


“Sorry Mikey, we need a shower.” Brian yelled, taking me with him.


When we came downstairs, Michael had food all over the table and the Deb look of sit down and eat on his face.


“I always thought you looked like your dad, but I’m starting to see the resemblance to Deb.” I tell him.


“I’m surprised you two haven’t gone blind.” He tells me.


“Considering that until Ben, you and your hand…” Brian stops when Gus is way to interested in the conversation.


“Have Mel and Lindsay found a place yet?” I ask.


“They can’t seem to agree on a house yet. Lindsay came back to stay with Jenny at our house.” Ben tells us.


“She told me she was excited that you guys were coming home.” Michael tells me.


“Do I still get to stay with you?” Gus asks us.


“All summer, the moms agreed.” Brian reminds him.


Brian’s phone rang and he handed it to Gus who took it confused. “Answer it.” Brian tells him.


Gus answered, talking to the person on the phone. I waited to see what the answer was.


“Well?” Brian asks.


“We’re having a baby.” He tells us, excited.


MICHAEL


Brian and I were walking down the street behind Ben, Gus, and Justin. Gus wanted to show us some of the places he goes with Brian and Justin. It was strange sometimes to see Brian happy about things that he used sneer at.


“How are the plans for Hunter and Shelby going?” Justin asks.


“The only thing we have to figure out is where to have it. Shelby’s parents have never been very religious so we couldn't see having it at a church. Ma tried saying we could have it at her house, but there are too many people coming for that. We might have to let Emmett help soon.” I tell them.


Justin looks at Brian who shrugged at him. “They could use our house, if Hunter and Shelby want to.” Brian tells me.


“Is it even big enough?” I ask.


They both look confused at why I would ask. “We haven't seen it, guys.” I tell them.


“Michael, think about who bought the house.” Justin tells me.


“I'll ask Hunter.” I tell them, like Justin said, Brian bought it.


“You ready to be a father again?” I ask Brian, when we were by ourselves.


“It's one of the reasons I wanted Justin to come home. When he brought it up to me, I liked the idea of a child coming from him. We have Gus, but we missed a lot of his life because he lives with Mel and Lindsay. This way it's ours to screw up.” He tells me.


“Brian you've always been a good father to Gus, I know I sometimes make it sound like you didn’t do anything right when he was growing up, but I found out I didn't know anything either.” I tell him.


“You really think Justin would let me screw up?” He asks.


“I think he's going to be looking to you for answers. You raised all of us, and we might be a little screwed up, but that just makes us interesting.” I joke.


“I keep having dreams that they're here already. It's almost as if they are.” He tells me.


“You really think it's more than one?” I ask.


“If what I dream is true, yes, and they're tiny Justins. They seemed to like keeping me company when Justin was gone.” He tells me.


“Mysterious Marilyn was fucking with you, because you always give her shit.” I tell him.


“Maybe, but she'll be getting more from me if Brent and Jamie aren’t real.” He tells me, walking over to Justin.


“What were you two talking about?” Ben asks.


“Brian thinks he's dreaming about their future kids. He's even named them.” I tell him.


“There have been studies of prophetic dreams.” Ben tells me, seriously.


“Let's just stick to E coming back to haunt him. Anything else just screws with my image of Brian, the skeptic in all things.” I tell him, laughing.


“What did he name them?” Ben asks, curious.


“Brent and Jamie, who apparently hang out with him when Justin’s not here.” I tell him.


“It would be an interesting thing to take bets on. I'm willing to believe he's really meeting his children.” He tells me.


“You really believe in all that stuff? I'll say it's just because Marilyn put it in his head.” I tell him.


“If I'm right, you don't get anything unhealthy for a month.” He tells me.


“If I'm right, tofu doesn’t touch my plate for a month while I gorge on cheeseburgers.” I tell him.


MEL


I finished my last day on the job, and drove away from the place we thought was the answer to everything. I keep thinking about what Justin said, that Lindsay and I aren’t talking to each other. I could just say he and Brian never did either, but in a way, they just didn't talk to talk. Lindsay and I tend to shy away from hurting each other, we did it so often that it became hard to say something I knew would upset her. It wasn’t because she wouldn't listen, but I still remember the look on her face when I cheated on her, I never wanted to do that to her again.


When the thing with Sam happened, I treated her worse than she ever treated me. I was more pissed that it was a man than that she cheated. It's just, if she wanted a man, there was nothing to offer her to stay. I had a hard time with it even after we moved. Anytime she looked at other men I worried that this could be the one she leaves with, never looking back at me again. It was strange that Michael was the one who helped me deal with it.


We were all out with the kids when a guy who worked at the gallery with Lindsay came up to say hi to her. Lindsay and the guy were talking about a show coming up, and Justin’s last show together. I remember watching how animated she became and it bothered me. She wasn't flirting, just talking. Michael must have called my name a few times while I was watching them, because he stepped in front of me, blocking what I was watching.


“Did you say something?” I ask.


“No, I just thought Lindsay and that guy might get worried if they saw the look you were giving them.” He tells me.


“I was just thinking.” I tell him, trying to ignore that he caught me.


“That looked more like you thought something more than a conversation was going on.” He tells me.


“It feels like there are parts of her that I never bring out.” I tell him.


“You don’t, but it's why you have friends to make up for the things you don't have in common. Ben has friends he talks to, when truthfully, it would bore me to tears listening. I would love to say I'm all he needs, but I'm just not into all the debates he and his professors like. He can only listen to me talk comics in small doses. Look at Emmett and Drew, or really all of us, we each have other people we talk to about things that our partners aren’t interested in.” He tells me.


“I don’t mind talking about art with her.” I tell him.


“I'm sure she doesn’t mind hearing about your cases either. It's just not her passion the way art isn't yours. We all might listen but sometimes you need someone who understands it the way you do.” He tells me.


“She never talked to Justin the way she’s talking to him.” I tell him.


“She never got as far as Justin did, it’s probably not easy to talk to someone who achieved everything you didn’t.” He tells me.


“I still have a hard time with Sam and her.” I tell him.


“You have to decide if you can trust her, otherwise why are you still together?” He asks me.


“I sometimes want to ask Brian how he got over it.” I tell him.


“He knew that Justin loved him, but they were drifting apart. Brian blames himself as much as Justin blames himself. I blamed Justin, but the truth is if I had been in Justin’s situation, I would have looked for someone else too. It's hard enough to be in a relationship when you do talk to each other, but it's harder when you hide your feelings. I think for them, they both knew there was equal blame to go around. You can’t have a scorecard if you want a relationship to work. Lindsay could look at you the way you looked at her every time you talk to another woman that isn’t her, but I've never seen it. Mel, sometimes it's really just talking about common interests.” He tells me.


I couldn’t argue that he was wrong, but it seems I still hold back from saying things when it could hurt either of us to hear it. Justin told me I was missing out on a better relationship because of it. I have to wonder if we'd still be in Canada if Lindsay hadn't finally said it out loud.






 

Chapter 21 by starlight

BRIAN


I took Gus to see his moms when we got home. Lindsay came running out of Michael’s house hugging Gus and acting like he’d been away forever. I understood, when they lived in Canada it always felt the same way to me. Gus on the other hand, felt he was getting too old for his mother to be calling him pet names and hugging him in front of everyone.


“Where’s Justin?” Lindsay asks me.


“Emmett called complaining that he was feeling neglected by his Baby.” I tell her.


“I was going to invite you guys to stay for dinner tonight. I thought it would be nice to have a family night together.” She tells me.


“We can do that when Justin and I have everyone over at the house. Have you and Mel found a house?” I asks.


“It’s almost like every house isn’t what we’re looking for. Hopefully with Mel here we can find something.” She tells me.


“Have you called Jen, she could probably help you find something?” I ask her.


“I didn’t want to bother her.” Lindsay tells me, going in with Gus.


Mel came outside and asked if we could talk before we joined everyone for lunch.


“I’m only here to drop Gus off for the night, Justin and I have plans with the guys tonight.” I tell her.


“I need some advice.” She stuttered out.


“You’re coming to me for advice?” I ask her, feeling her forehead.


“I tiptoe around things with Lindsay. We haven’t found a house because we’re both finding reasons to hate anything we see. I think it’s because if one of us says we don’t like it the other just agrees to it.” She tells me.


“Why come to me for advice?” I ask her.


“How did you manage to fully forgive Justin for what happened?” She asks.


“I didn’t, to me there was nothing to forgive him for. He left to find what I wouldn’t give him, and I held the door open for him. It took him being gone for me to understand that I didn’t like my life without him in it.” I tell her.


“I still have a hard time saying things that might hurt Lindsay to hear. I don’t ever want to see the look on her face that happened when I told her I cheated. I think she has the same problem with saying things because of what happened when she cheated.” She tells me.


“How do you talk to each other if you’re afraid of saying anything?” I ask her.


“We just never really talk about anything, other than the kids or our jobs.” She tells me.


“Mel, if Justin and I did what you're describing, we couldn’t have stayed together. You have to tell each other things in order to have a relationship with meaning in it. A lot of the things that happened in the past with Justin were because I kept him from knowing more than the superficial parts of me. Justin stopped trying to talk to me when all he met was a brick wall. I’m not saying that Ian didn’t cause some of our problems, but he wouldn’t have been an issue if Justin and I had talked to each other and been honest about what we wanted.” I tell her.


“I didn’t understand how you considered it cheating when you were off sleeping with other men too.” She tells me.


“The other men didn’t fulfill an emotional need, just a physical one. Justin got more than that with Ian. We had an open relationship, but only if it was once and the guy became history. I wouldn’t have cared if Justin was screwing Ian, but it became more than a fuckbuddy.” I tell her.


“When I cheated I didn’t want anything more from it.” She tells me.


“Neither did Lindsay. She didn’t see Sam as more than one night of stupidity on her part. She wasn’t in love, nor did she really even like Sam. She didn’t do it thinking he’s the one she wanted, but as a spur of the moment fight that lead to something she regretted and wanted to forget happened.” I tell her.  


“See, she never told me any of that.” I tell him.


“Would you have listened, or were you too busy being upset because of the fear you had that Lindsay would someday leave you for a man were possible?” I ask her.


“I was pissed because I was pregnant, having problems, and she was off screwing around.” I tell him.


“You were off screwing around when she was dealing with postpartum. How were you any better than her at that point? You could have been home helping her, but left it up to me to do it. I’m not saying that because what she did wasn’t as bad, but to put some perspective in the way things were between you. She needed you and you took off, you needed her and she took off. You both do that when you don’t want to deal with things.” I tell her.


“You and Justin did the same thing.” She tells me.


“There is a difference in the way we did it, and you and Lindsay did things. Justin and I weren’t together, but we always made sure we took care of each other. You and Lindsay break up and abandon each other, not caring about what the other is doing or if they need help. You left Lindsay with no way to take care of Gus, and she ended up doing something that could have landed her ass in jail. Neither of you thought of Gus, or anything but yourselves. To me, if you love someone you care whether or not you're together.  Justin could have left me to hang when my nephew accused me of molesting him, but it didn’t matter to him that we weren’t together. He went out and proved that I didn’t do anything. We weren’t together anymore, but it didn’t matter to him. I paid for his school because I wanted Justin to have all the things he wanted, I didn’t do it to get him back, but so he always knew he could come to me when he needed anything.” I tell her.


“It’s just that we couldn’t see past the anger to take care of each other.” She tells me.


“Then you didn’t love each other the way you both want everyone to believe you do. I could have hated Justin when he left, but how do you hate one of the best things in your life?” I ask her.


“I do love Lindsay and I know she loves me. We’ve had a hard time getting past the cheating.” She tells me.


“To me it wasn’t cheating when neither of you were doing it for more than physical release.” I tell her.


“We promised each other that it was us and no one else, so it was cheating.” She tells me.


“Yet, when it was convenient to let Leda in your bed, neither of you thought it was cheating. At one time you were in love with Leda, and whether you want to say it or not, there was an emotional connection to Leda. You couldn’t have slept with her and not felt some of it. I guess it’s only cheating to you if either of you do it alone.” I tell her.


“I really thought about what Michael and Justin told me on my way here. I know that I spend all my time trying to keep Lindsay from being upset that I don’t always talk to her. Michael caught me when I didn’t like the way Lindsay was talking to a guy she was working with, and he told me I needed to see that sometimes it’s just conversation. What bothers me is I didn’t say anything to Lindsay about it later. Instead, I just tried to forget that I was acting like her being around other men could have another Sam happen again. I spent the whole trip down here realizing how I reacted to Sam, and how she reacted when I cheated were miles apart. Lindsay was hurt and couldn’t be with me, but in the end forgave me. I couldn’t do the same for her.” She tells me.


“Mel, not that I’m agreeing with how you handled the situation, but you were having a difficult time with your pregnancy. I really tried to tell Lindsay to not let you find out.” I tell her.


“I deserved to know.” I tell him.


“What would it have accomplished? You saw what knowing did to your relationship, she wasn’t in love and planning to continue and turn it into an affair. She knew she made a mistake and telling you would only make a difficult pregnancy harder on you. I didn’t tell her not to tell you because I approved of what she did, but because I knew you would end up stressed out, more than you already were. She was wrong and she paid for it, but when you got back together you were saying that you weren’t going to let the past affect the future. One of the things you two need to work on is how to stop walking around each other. A relationship means not always agreeing to everything but talking to each other and compromising.” I tell her.


“I’m sitting here asking you for advice, that’s a huge compromise for me.” She tells me.


“You're sitting with the wrong person. We could talk all day but it doesn’t change that the woman you love is still sitting inside, waiting to hear you say something that shows you care what she thinks. Lindsay spent her life not making waves because it never gave her anything but her family's disapproval. Think about something.” I tell her.


“What?” She asks.


“She didn’t care what her family thought when she moved in and started a life with you. She didn’t lie to them about who you were to her. She could have just said you were a roommate, while pretending to be who they wanted her to be, but she didn’t. That’s more courage than she ever showed her family before she met you. She never brought the women she dated to anything her family invited her to, she brought me. You were the one she refused to hide.” I tell her.


“Why can’t we talk to each other? I know she only told me she wanted to leave Canada after talking to you.” She tells me.


“You only talked to Gus and Jenny, so you aren’t talking either.” I tell her.


“Maybe we need counseling.” I tell him.


“To tell you to talk to each other about more than the kids and your jobs? Mel all it takes is opening your mouth and telling her the stuff you seem to protect her from. She’s not fragile, she’s a grown woman who needs you to treat her like one. Ben doesn’t do that to Michael, he learned to tell Michael things even when it meant sleeping on the couch for a couple days. Michael takes a while to get used to things and Ben couldn’t have a relationship if he was more like a parent than a husband. Ben knows Michael overreacts to things, but stopped trying to sugar coat things when it was something that would upset Michael. Lindsay’s reactions are nothing compared to the way Michael reacts, so I don’t see a couch in your future. Hopefully you and Lindsay will see a house in your future because as much as Mikey loves having Jenny around, he’s not thrilled at the accidental beaver shots he’s been getting.” I smirk.


“We’re looking, we haven’t found a house like our old one.” She tells me.


“Why look for a house like the old one? It’s the house that is only a reminder of everything that went wrong. Find one that no longer has the ghost of the past to rear it’s head around every corner. It was the place you couldn’t live, and took my son to Canada. I want a place where my son no longer questions why everything in his life was chaotic. Do me a favor and call Jen, she’ll help you find a place to create the life you seem to want. Now, I need to go have Justin check to make sure I didn’t grow a twat.” I tell her.


“It’s okay Brian, I’m sure Justin is more than happy to show you who wears the pants in your relationship.” I kid.


“I let him think whatever gets me laid constantly.” I tell her, smiling when she rolls her eyes.



Chapter 22 by starlight

 JUSTIN


Emmett was upset at Drew, something that seemed to rarely happen according to Ted and Blake. I was trying to get what was pissing him off, but he keep going off on tangents. I knew if I had any hope of reining him in I had to get him to listen to me.


“So I’m pregnant with quads and thinking of naming them all Wilmer.” I say.


“That’s just marvelous Baby, what do you think of green for the carpet in Gus’s room?” He asks, not listening to a word I said.


“I also thought I could convince Michael that he was really the love of my life, we could run off together and be the happiest couple in comic land.” I add, when Emmett keeps flipping pages.


I look at Ted and Blake who snicker as Emmett just tells me it’s a fabulous idea.


“Help would be nice,” I tell Ted.


“He’s not talking to anyone, all I know is Drew is sitting in the house and Emmett’s here.” He tells me.


“What?” Emmett seem to come back at Drew’s name.


“Emmett what is going on? You practically ordered me here and now you're ignoring all of us.” I tell him.


“I fucked up bad with Drew.” He admits, much to Ted and Blake's relief.


“Emmett whatever you did, I’m sure it couldn’t be that bad.” Ted tells him as Brian comes in, on the phone.


Brian hung up looking at Emmett as if he didn’t get what Emmett did. Since he wasn’t here to hear Emmett say anything, I have to assume it was something that affected Kinnetik.


“Emmett, what the hell were you thinking?” Brian asks, sitting next to me.


“How do you know he did anything?” Ted asks.


“Check your messages from Cynthia, you’ll figure it out.” Brian tells him.


“I didn’t know, I came home and he was standing outside with another guy. I just saw red when they were in their underwear.” Emmett tells us.


“What did Leo say?” Ted asks, looking at Brian.


“That Marco’s wife thought it was funny, but it cost a few hours to get them both ready to finish the photo shoot. Then they had to arrange for Marco to stay an extra day because the shots we want weren’t possible in the dark.” Brian tells him.


“How did you not see the crew there?” I ask him.


“I didn’t see anything but Drew in his underwear with another man. Sue me for not noticing the fifteen other people. “ Emmett groans.


“Emmett there were twenty who got to witness you toss Drew and Marco in the pool. By the way, they all thought it was sweet that you were jealous.” Brian snickers.


“What did Drew say to you?” Ted asks.


“I ran here without waiting to find out. I’m sure he thinks I’m a fishwife by now.” He tells us.


“What is with all of you lately? I just spent an hour listening to Mel, who actually wanted relationship advice from me.” He tells us.


“Did you tell her that unless Lindsay grew a dick your reputation didn’t extend to girl parts.” Emmett snickers.


“No Honeycutt, she and Lindsay, unlike most lesbians, aren’t talking about anything. Why she thinks talking to me or a counselor would be easier than opening her mouth and saying it to Lindsay, makes me wonder about all of you. You spend days talking about everything but your own problems.” He tells us.


“I’d say don’t call me Honeycutt, but right now I’m in shock, Mel asked you for advice.” Emmett tells him.


“What about Drew?” Blake asks.


“I was just over dramatising it, he already texted to say Jan, Marco’s wife, wanted us to go to dinner tonight.” He tells us, blowing it off.


“Excuse me, but I told you I was pregnant and running off with Michael, to which your response was, ‘marvelous and fabulous’. I don’t think you were even listening to me.” I tell him.


“Okay so maybe I’m trying to figure out how to look at Marco again. I sort of got turned on seeing the man. I’m in love with Drew but fantasizing about a Drew/Marco sandwich.” He tells us.


“Why is that a bad thing?” I ask him.


“I’m in love with Drew, I shouldn’t want other men.” He tells me slowly.


“Emmett, I love the twat here, but I’m not blind. If you see hot ass you react to hot ass. Justin might be the only ass I touch, but it doesn’t make me immune to others.” Brian tells him.


“I paint models sometimes and trust me, I don’t just see a lump of skin when they’re naked. I didn’t die because Brian is the only one I want.” I tell him.


“You two could handle it because neither of you ever really loved anyone but each other. Drew had a relationship between me and me. I’ve had relationships with other people.” He tells us.


“It wouldn’t matter how many relationships you’ve had if what you have with Drew is more than the others. Ted and I both had other relationships, but we both know they didn’t mean what we do to each other now.” Blake tells him.


“Jesus, can we just say if it’s hot you got bothered and proved we have dicks.” Brian tells them.


All of us laughed when four guys agreed that Brian proved they had dicks when he walked in the diner. Emmett told them the real King of Babylon was sitting at the table. Brian growled that any comments would be met with the removal of said dicks. I got up and ran to the bathroom, while Brian stared down the idiot behind us who tried to argue that Brian said it was okay if hot gave him wood.


I stood in the stall with the door closed waiting for Brian to arrive. He came in, still scowling but locked the door as I unzipped him. I pulled him out and took him in my mouth. Brian seemed to forget anything but the feel of my mouth on him. He looked down at me, moving my hair from my eyes to watch his dick disappear into my mouth. I made sure to swallow him all the way, which drives him insane. He pulled me up and grabbed lube from his wallet.


“You would have been an excellent boy scout.” I tell him, groaning when he thrust all the way in me.


“What is with you and bathrooms?” He question when he pulled out.


“We don’t fuck at Babylon anymore, and I like that we can get caught.” I moan, as he thrusts into me.


“You just like seeing where we can get away with fucking each other.” He tells me, moving faster and stroking my cock.


“What can I say, you introduced the audience and I like to show my work.” I yell as I cum.


Brian stills as he cums and then leans on me holding us both up. He pulled out and started cleaning us before we got dressed. We walked out to see Emmett staring at us, sporting wood.


“I really hate you two.” He tells us, pulling out his shirt.


“Is it a bad thing that I want to do it again?” I ask Brian.


“Baby, I don’t think Marco is a problem anymore, since I now have to wonder why I didn’t at least take one or both of you for a spin before.” He teases, and Brian growls stomping out.


“He really seems to hate the idea of me with anyone anymore.” I tell Emmett, washing my hands.


“I never thought either of you would close the relationship. You two were able to deal with others in the relationship.” Emmett tells me.


“We were both ready, so it wasn’t some grand announcement between us. He came to see me after a year with no one but us, asking if we needed to keep using condoms. I told him no, not unless we started tricking again.” I tell him.


“Drew and I haven’t reached the point where we don’t use them.” He tells me.


“You might always use them, there’s nothing wrong with that. Michael will never be able to not use a condom, and it doesn’t change the level of commitment he has to Ben. I like that we can go condom free, but I also know that condoms mean you care to protect your partner.” I tell him.


“What if Brian told you he wanted to trick again, would that bother you?” He asks.


“No, because I know who he loves. I know people equate a relationship with monogamy, but for me, it’s Brian flying to see me because I had the flu, or showing up when I sounded off to him. If Brian and I wanted to play then we would, it’s just, no one does what he can for me, and he says it’s the same for him.” I tell him.


“You both tend to keep it exciting in your own way. I’ve always had a problem with people watching.” He tells me.


“It’s something I like, I like knowing you were out here wishing you could see what we were doing in there.” I tell him.


“You didn’t even know I was in here.” He tells me.


“I didn’t know it was you, but I knew someone came in. It comes from Michael walking in on us constantly over the years.” I tell him.


“You got off on Michael catching you?” He asks.


“No, but maybe you could accidently spill that to him. It’ll freak him out.” I tell him, walking out.


“Sunshine, you better have cleaned up in there.” Deb warns me before hugging me.


“Deb, he needs to breathe.” Brian tells her.


“Michael told me to tell you he has hundreds of pictures for you guys when he gets home. Emmett, he told me to tell you when Brian and Justin finally let us see the big ass house they own, there needs to be a projector for his slides. Do me a favor, break the projector.” Deb winks at Emmett.


“Tell Mikey, all slideshows that are sleep inducing are not welcome.” Brian tells her.


“God only knows how many couples shots we are going to looking at.” Ted laughs.


“I don’t get it, what’s wrong with seeing Tibet, we’ve never been.” Blake asks.


“It all started with Paris…” Emmett tells him, as we walk out.



Chapter 23 by starlight

EMMETT

 

I walked into the house, trying to pretend that I didn’t throw Drew and Marco in the pool. I don’t know what came over me at that moment. Drew hasn’t given me any reason to worry about other men, but I still have a hard time with it on occasion. I thought about Brian’s bitching about being asked for advice, but he doesn’t see that we all see that the couple we never believed would make it, did. They have some magic formula the rest of us are still trying to find with our partners. I hate to admit that Michael is ahead of the class too, but it’s most likely because Michael never shuts up, so Ben gets the information he needs, in between all the rambling.

 

Drew was sitting on his chair, the one that he insisted be in our designer living room. It was a rocking recliner with pockets on the sides to hold everything a man could need to never get out of it. It was also where he sat when he didn’t want to talk to me. I decided that Drew and I weren’t going to tiptoe around each other the way the girls do. I walked in front of the giant monster screen he had to have and waited for him to at least act like I was standing in front of him. He leaned sideways and continued to watch, wait, what is he watching? I turned to see a cartoon that was apparently more important to him than my freak out.

 

“Emmett, can you move.” He asks, ever so politely.

 

“No, because I want to talk and tell you I’m sorry for what I did.” I tell him.

 

“Great, apology accepted, can you move now?” He asks, trying to out-lean me.

 

“I don’t want us to be like the girls.” I spaz.

 

“Since last I checked, I still have the parts that make that impossible. So then it’s really not something I worry about.” He tells me, burping.

 

“They don’t tell each other things if they think it will hurt the other.” I explain, leaning so he doesn’t see anything but me.

 

“Emmett, you talk without worrying how anyone feels. I think it’s safe to say we don’t have that problem.” He tells me.

 

“I started fantasizing about a Marco/Drew sandwich. Which, after the bathroom at the diner, made me think I really missed out when it came to Brian and Justin.” I tell him, giving up and sitting across his lap.

 

“It’s something all of us wish we thought of at one time or another. I mean Brian wasn’t for me, but you know Justin was a fantasy once in awhile.” He comments, looking at the screen.

 

“You fantasized about Justin!” I ask, not sure if I was appalled or not.

 

“Like you didn’t about Brian.” He tells me.

 

“Of course, but then he opens his mouth and the reality takes over. My fantasies after that were duct tape to keep reality from invading.” I tell him.

 

“I’m still not thrilled at what you did.” He tells me.

 

“It’s hard to see you with guys, especially when they look like Marco.” I tell him.

 

“Why? Emmett when I came back, I made you the promise that it was you and me. I don’t think I’ve given you a reason to think otherwise. I feel like you don’t trust me.” He tells me.

 

“I do trust you. I just know guys look at you and want what I have with you.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett, I want us to have children one day, does it sound like I care that anyone looks at me? You're who I think about when the idea of children and growing old one day, happens.” He tells me, standing up and carrying me.

 

“You tell me and it’s like I keep inventing drama.” I tell him, kissing him as he carried me.

 

I was so involved in showing Drew how much he meant to me, that I didn’t realize we were outside until he sent me flying into the pool. I came up sputtering, and watched as he took off his shirt before joining me.

 

“YOU are the one I want.” He tells me, as our clothes sink to the bottom of the pool.

 

MEL

 

We are going to find a house, one that we can agree on, I tell myself over and over. I walk into the kitchen, where Lindsay is cooking for the kids and me. She grumbled a bit when Brian took off, saying he and Justin had plans with the guys. She keeps expecting to be invited out with everyone. I think we need to find a home, because Michael can only take so much of our invasion in his home. He and Ben are coming home in a few days, and so far we are still here.

 

“You think Deb would want to watch the kids, we could go hang out with the guys?” She asks.

 

“We need to find a house, not run out partying like the guys, who all have homes of their own. Michael and Ben don’t need us living here forever.” I tell her.

 

“I can stay with Dad and Jus, they won’t care.” Gus tells us.

 

“I’m sure they would love it, but sorry kiddo we love you too much to lose you.” I tell him.

 

“They’ll need help when the baby comes.” He tells us.

 

“They’ll be happy with the help you can give them while you still live with us.” Lindsay teases.

 

“We all need to decide where we are going to live.” I tell all three of them.

 

“Daddy says there are houses everywhere, why are you two having a hard time.” Jenny repeats to us, the way her dad probably told her.

 

“Sweetie, we just want something that we can all love.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“Why, when we just move eventually anyway.” Gus says, under his breath.

 

“What makes you say that?” I ask, concerned.

 

“You and Mom never seem to like any place.” He tells us, walking out of the kitchen to the living room.

 

“Gus, I thought you wanted to move back here?” Lindsay asks.

 

“I did, but if I lived with my dads then at least I wouldn’t be living somewhere new all the time. You two spend all your time never agreeing on anything.” He tells us.

 

“It’s just the houses we’ve seen aren’t what we want.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Do you even know what you want?” I ask Lindsay.

 

“What do you mean?” She asks, as Gus rolls his eyes at us.

 

“Lindsay, every house we look at, if I don’t immediately agree, you decide you don’t like it, after raving about it. I’ve been doing the same thing. Instead of calling Jen and getting her to help, we just keep driving around looking.” I tell her.

 

“Maybe we should talk about this when the kids are in bed.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I guess it’s not about us, but what you two want.” Gus tells us sounding like his father.

 

“Gus, it’s just something Mama and I need to talk about.” She tells him, as Hunter comes in.

 

“Hey guys, I wanted to see if you needed anything before I go out with the guys tonight.” Hunter tells us. “What’s up with the scowl, Gus?” Hunter asks.

 

“They still don’t let Jenny and me get to have a say in anything.” Gus tell him.

 

“Gus, Mama and I just need to talk to each other. It’s a big decision.” She tells him.

 

“It’s a decision that affects him and Jenny.” Hunter tells her.

 

“See, he gets it.” Gus tells us.

 

“I do, but lose the attitude. They can’t help that they don’t realize you might want to be included on decisions. How about we go see what Jenny’s doing.” Hunter tells him.

 

Gus gets up, stomping out of the living room. Hunter waits until Gus is in the kitchen. “Look, Justin told me how Gus feels about the constant uprooting you guys have been doing. You guys seem to forget he wasn’t a baby when everything was turning upside down in his life. His only constant was Brian.” He tells us, going to see the kids.

 

“Gus never said anything.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Why would he when we barely say anything to him, or even each other.” I tell her.

 

“We talk.” She insists.

 

“About anything that won’t have us fighting or hurting each other.” I tell her, realizing opening my mouth is the first step I need to take.

 

“You really think we’re avoiding saying things to each other?” She asks.

 

“When’s the last time you can remember not censoring what you say?” I ask.

 

She smiled and then leered at me. “The kitchen.” She tells me.

 

“It was a night I’ll never forget.” I tell her.

 

“Most of the time it’s just stupid things I don’t say. Like when you leave paperwork all over the table or when you come home expecting me to have dinner waiting for you. It’s not like it’s anything big that we need to fight over.” She tells me.

 

“Our son feels like we make decisions without talking to him. I know that we sometimes don’t talk to each other. I love you but I want a relationship where we actually say something without worrying how the other one is going to feel. If we disagree, I would hope it wouldn’t turn out the way it did in the past. You almost walked on eggshells just to tell me you wanted to move back.” I tell her.

 

“It wasn’t like life was bad in Canada, but we didn’t really make a lot of friends and our jobs were becoming boring and tedious. Brian might have said something, but I didn’t see why we were staying there.” She tells me.

 

“Jenny and I knew neither of you wanted to stay there.” Gus tells us, standing in front of us.

 

“Gus, do you really feel like we didn't include you?” I ask.

 

“I could lie if it makes you feel better.” He tells me, straight.

 

“I want how you really felt.” I tell him.

 

“Every time you and Mom fought, I moved, not understanding why. When you guys wanted to have Jenny, I only figured it out because you got bigger. It's like because I'm a kid, you two don't think I understand anything.” He tells us.

 

“It was hard on us to understand why we couldn't stay together. We didn't know how to explain it to you.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Why stay together if you don’t know why you do?” He asks.

 

“Honey, we love each other, we just made a lot of stupid grown up choices. We’re always going to make decisions that might be wrong, but I think it's time to include both you and Jenny when it affects you.” I tell him.

 

“As long as it doesn't involve moving away from Dad and Jus. Can we eat?” He asks.

 

“I swear, somehow we got Justin’s sperm when we made you.” I tease him.

 

“Jus gets that food isn't the enemy.” Gus tells us, running to the kitchen.

 

 

“I'll call Jen, it's time to find home.” Lindsay tells me, kissing me before following our son.

Chapter 24 by starlight

BRITIN

 

LINDSAY

 

We were driving to the place Brian wanted for Justin. I never understood why Brian picked a place so far from everything that once mattered to him. I know I didn’t like what Brian was doing, but it was more not understanding that Brian changed. He was no longer willing to live in Neverland, because the real Wendy left. Justin wasn’t like Michael and I, who loved the things Brian dared we never could. Justin wanted Brian not Peter, and for once Brian wanted something other than Neverland. It scared me, he was leaving behind the life I lived vicariously through Brian. I know I made it seem like I wanted more from Brian, but he was doing the things I never could. He didn’t worry what anyone thought of what he was doing, and for all my bohemian lifestyle, I still cared how people viewed me. Sometimes I lived through Justin, he didn’t let people tell him who he could be or what he was capable of. He always accomplished what he wanted, and got Brian to follow behind his lead.

 

I looked as this house came into view and it took my breath away, why did I ever think I knew Brian?

 

MEL

 

I looked at the house and thought ‘shit that is going to cost the boys a lot in maintenance’. Not that either of them would worry about that. It must have had Justin thinking Brian had lost his mind to buy this to keep him. I could see Lindsay was at a loss when we pulled up, it’s the house she always wished for, but it was what Brian gave to someone he loved more than Wendy.

 

“I never knew him.” She tells me.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask, staring at the house.

 

“I thought he was changing everything because of what happened at Babylon.” She tells me.

 

“What do you think now?” I ask.

 

“I think what I did was wrong. I butted in thinking I was saving them from a mistake.” She tells me.

 

“By telling them Justin should leave?” I ask.

 

“No. By going behind Justin’s back and getting Brian to make him go.” She tells me, wincing when she told me what I had sort of guessed over the years.

 

“Justin knew why you did it.” I tell her.

 

“Why do you think that?” She asks me.

 

“I saw the way he reacted to you the first time we saw him after we all left Pittsburgh. Before, Justin would be sharing what was going on with his art with you. When he came with Brian for Gus’s birthday, he barely mentioned to you what he was doing. I got the feeling he was angry at you, not that I knew why or even asked him.” I tell her.

 

“Why didn’t you?” She asks.

 

“I just didn’t like the idea that you, in a way, wanted Justin and Brian apart. It’s always been one of my insecurities, that Brian meant more to you.” I tell her.

 

“I know part of it was the way I made it seem like Brian couldn’t function without me. It’s just, I see this and know I never knew Brian the way Justin did. I wanted to keep Peter, when Peter was becoming Brian, who belongs only to Justin.” She tells me.

 

“Is that all you see when you look at that house?” I ask her.

 

“It’s a beautiful house, one that could only belong to the prince of Brian’s dreams. You helped us pick a house for us. What do you see?” She asks me.

 

“I see lots of maintenance.” I tell her seriously, as she dissolves into laughter.

 

BEN

 

“You think they’ll at least look at my pictures?” Michael grumbles.

 

“I think bringing four photo albums is excessive.” Jenny tells him.

 

“It was just that there was so much to see, I wanted everyone to experience it with us.” He tells her.

 

“Daddy, there’s experience, and then there’s taking a picture of a rock.” Jenny giggles.

 

When we got back, Michael was impatient to get home and see how Jenny and Hunter survived without him. Then it was checking to see what Mary thought of using Britin for the wedding. Which had him calling Justin to make sure Mary and Dean could come over to see the house. Which led to Deb being called and told about the offer. When he was done he ran out to get the photos developed. He still can’t get used to uploading it to the computer, saying it doesn’t really make photos as real when you can edit out mistakes. Justin told me it’s just a change in the world Michael was unwilling to accept.

 

We pulled in behind the girls and got our first view of the house. It made me want to ask Brian what caused him to pick this house out of all the houses he could have chosen. It’s a house that Brian would normally sneer at.

 

MICHAEL

 

Jenny got out and ran to the front door. I looked and decided to thank Brian for picking a house that could hold all the people we needed to invite. I looked at Ben, who was looking at the house like it held some secret to life.

 

“At least it’s big enough for what Hunter needs.” I tell him.

 

“Is that all you see when you look at the house?” He asks.

 

“It’s what Justin wanted.” I shrug.

 

“Why do you say that?” I ask him.

 

“When Justin told me Brian bought him a house, he was worried that the only reason Brian did it was because he thought it was what Justin wanted. I had to remind Justin that Brian didn’t do shit unless he wanted to. After that, Justin stopped seeing the house as Brian’s reaction to what happened at Babylon.” He tells me.

 

“You always manage to surprise me with things.” He tells me.

 

“Like what?” I ask, confused.

 

“Like not barging here to see the house, or how you and Justin managed to become friends. For a long time, I didn’t think you could put aside your friendship with Brian to see Justin for who he was.” He tells me.

 

“He was a brat who got what I wanted, it took a few years for me to stop being jealous of that person Brian fell in love with. It wasn't until Brian punched my ass out that I realized it was never going to be me.” He tells me.

 

“I wouldn’t have picked your ass up if I had known why he did it, but why did that make you see it?” I ask.

 

“Brian isn’t prone to violence, and me saying what I did brought that out in him. I knew at that point there was only one person Brian loved, and I was going to be the loser if I didn't accept Justin’s place in Brian’s life. It helped me see what I was doing to you too, by treating Brian as if he meant more to me. He just didn't get me the way you do, or make me feel the way you do.” He tells me.

 

“How do I make you feel?” I ask, loving him more than ever.

 

“Complete.” He kisses me getting out and yelling to Justin. “The backyard better be more impressive than the house!”

 

“It's always weird how they get along.” Lindsay tells me as we walk towards the house.

 

“I always thought Justin was who Michael admired.” I tell her.

 

“Not Brian?” She asks.

 

“No, Brian was who Michael loved, waiting for me.” I tell her, knowing it was the truth.

 

JUSTIN

 

I finally hired Emmett for Hunter. Michael and Mary wouldn't get the wedding planned before next year if we left it to them. Lindsay came in, grabbing Brian to give her a tour. Gus followed, rolling his eyes at his mother. Mel let me drag her to my studio to show her what I'd been working on. My mother, as usual, played hostess for us.

 

“Justin, is there a reason you don’t show Lindsay anything?” She asks me.

 

“She sees my stuff.” I tell her.

 

“I know she sometimes feels like you disclude her from all of this.” She tells me.

 

“It’s not because I want to, it’s just that I don’t need her thinking she can tell me what I need.” I tell her.

 

“She told me in the car when we got here, what she did.” She tells me.

 

“It wasn’t like I didn’t know I had to eventually leave Pittsburgh. She came in, making it sound like I was going to miss the opportunity of a lifetime by being with Brian. You sort of implied the same thing to me. It’s just, you stopped when you knew it was my decision. She went to Brian behind my back and had him acting like a shit to me to make me go. I did what I knew would keep him from tossing me over a cliff. It’s the one time I didn’t fight for what I really wanted, and I wanted to blame Lindsay, but I know part of me wanted to see if I could do it on my own. Which also meant I couldn’t let Lindsay be a part of what I was doing. What she did sucked, but in a way it also made me realize that I couldn’t lean on her, if I wanted to say I made it without help.” I tell her.

 

“You did, but I never doubted you.” She tells me, looking at my newest stuff. “You always leave me feeling like I know everything about the subjects you paint.” She tells me.

 

“When I met Elaine, I saw how I want my life eventually. She’s surrounded by love and loves Bradley even more now than the day she married him. It’s a love we all aspire too.” I tell her.

 

“And few people find. I know for a long time I saw what happens when the love you once felt is gone. It’s something I hated about family law, which really should have been called anti-family law, since it’s the reason people came to me.” She tells me.

 

“Why didn’t you ever change fields? Watching people destroy the family they once loved, had to be hard to watch.” I tell her, grabbing a sketch pad and sitting her on a stool.

 

“I wanted to help people not lose everything. I hated how, when one of the cases I was working on became more of a show than a case of who was best for the kids. It actually took Brian telling me that I was acting like it was personal to me, when they chose a straight man to represent them with the work I did. Then listening to Ted tell me to accept the things I can’t control.” She tells me.

 

“The serenity prayer?” I ask.

 

“It really made me see that they were doing what was best for them, and it was my pride getting in the way.” She tells me.

 

“Did it really help you feel better?” Justin asks.

 

“No, but helped me to see that law was as big of a game as politics. It’s never about who was right or wrong, but perception. I should have learned that when your case came up.” She tells me.

 

“It was who had the most influence, Hobbs family could make me or Brian sound how they wanted. I had to get past letting Hobbs change who I was. I stopped letting him control me, by succeeding when he didn’t. He’s still working for his family as a foreman, I’ve done everything I ever wanted to.” I tell her.

 

“I want to fight for people who get shafted because of people like the Hobbs.” She tells me.

 

“Then do it.” I kiss her, throwing my pad on her lap.

 

“How do you do it, make us look so different?” She says tracing the sketch.

 

“I didn’t, that was you talking about your passion.” I tell her.

 

I walked out with Mel, when Shelby comes over and hands me the box I asked for. I let Shelby walk off with Mel and went to my room with it. I opened it to see the first sketch I did of Brian, looking under it I found receipts from a hospital, and a ticket to California, dated for when I was there. I sat there staring at the receipts, because Michael told me Brian planned to see me but changed his mind when he thought I wasn’t coming back. Brian walked in sat next to me.

 

“I always liked that picture.” He tells me.

 

“I guess so. Why didn’t you tell me?” I ask.

 

“I didn’t tell you things because it showed you things I wasn’t ready for you to know.” He tells me, laying back.

 

“You were at the hospital, why keep the proof?” I ask, sitting on top of him.

 

“I figured, one day when I died, your little romantic heart could have something to see how much your ass meant to me.” He smirks.

 

“Please, all I have to do is lean back to know that.” I tease him.

 

“I always planned to tell you.” He tells me.

 

“I think sometimes there are secrets we never tell, but only because we didn’t do what we did for any reason other than because we love each other.” I tell him, leaning over to kiss him.

 

“Ignore the two of them, they can’t spend two minutes unless they’re all over each other.” Michael says to Mary from the door.

 

“MICHAEL!” Brian growls.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 25 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I think it was a tie on who looked at Brian like he was crazier; me, Sarah, or the doctor. Gus seemed to think nothing was wrong with Brian questioning why they only see one baby on the screen. He kept insisting that Jamie was hiding in there. Which had us all wondering who Jamie was.

 

“Look, wave that thing around until you find him. He likes to hide more than Brent does.” He said, very seriously.

 

“We’ll do it one more time but the fetus..”

 

“Brent and Jamie, not the fetus.” Brian tells him.

 

“Just humor him, I’m getting cold here.” Sarah tells the doctor. laughing.

 

The doctor took the wand from the tech, who was giggling at how Brian corrected the doctor. It took a few minutes to find, but there was a second one. Not that there was a lot to see but a blob at this point.

 

“It seems I owe you an apology for doubting you.” The doctor admitted when they started taking measurements of baby two.

 

It somehow bothered Brian that they didn’t just put the babies names on the screen. The doctor tried to say that at this point there was no way to tell if they were boys or girls or one of each. At that point, I thanked the doctor and dragged Brian and Gus from the room, to give Sarah time to change without Brian offering an opinion on maternity wear, which she didn’t need yet. It’s like he felt he had to arrange everything, being the control freak he is. The doctor handed Brian the video and printouts of the babies. We left before Brian corrected the doctor again about the sex of his children.

 

After dropping Sarah off, we drove to our apartment, planning to stay long enough for Brian to work with Kelly on a new campaign. Gus and I were going to check out a new movie and eat the crap Brian hates. We were sharing a pizza back at home after the movie when Gus started telling me about my mother and her speech to the girls.

 

“Nana about took their heads off when every place she showed them, they seemed to find a problem with. She told them anything could be changed if they were willing to put some work into it. I think she meant the house, but Mom took it as relationship advice and started telling Nana how they were working on talking to each other. Nana told them it was wonderful that they want to communicate, but could they figure out the house situation first. Uncle Mikey sort of told Nana that they were driving him crazy. Which meant she had to listen to Uncle Mikey go on and on before she had to deal with Mom and Mama not liking anything they saw. Nana told me and Jenny she was sorry, but that we’d have to live at Uncle Mikey’s forever, since for all Mom and Mama’s talking, they forgot to decide what they were looking for. Mom stupidly said that not everyone can afford a castle the way Brian did. I don’t think she meant to piss off Nana, but you know how Nana is when anyone says anything negative about Dad around her. Nana told her that all Dad wanted was a home for you and him, and the house he bought was the house he wanted to raise me and any other children in, it wasn’t the size that mattered, but that he saw his future in the house he bought. She suggested they decide if they see the future, not a stain that can be painted over, or a kitchen that could be renovated.” He tells me.

 

“It worked, because they picked a house.” I tell him.

 

“Which they could have picked earlier since it was the first house Nana took them to. I don’t think they get that Nana knows what she’s talking about.” He tells me.

 

“Your Nana knows all Sonny Boy.” Brian tells us, wrinkling his nose at our pizza with everything.

 

“How is it when Michael brings over a pizza you eat it, but when we get one you look at it like it offends you.” I ask, as he starts picking at a piece.

 

“Do you see this?” He says, holding up a piece of pineapple. “It’s fruit, baked into something other than dessert. I just can’t understand the how anybody could ruin a pizza with fruit.” He tells me.

 

“Please, if it won’t clog his arteries, Uncle Mikey doesn’t touch it.” Gus tells him.

 

“I wouldn’t talk Sonny Boy, nothing you seem to love eating is much better than Uncle Mikey’s idea of food groups.” Brian teases him.

 

“Pineapple is good, in fact if you think about it, Jus and I have every food group on our pizza.” Gus tells him.

 

“I have to agree with our son.” I tell him.

 

“Hopefully Brent and Jamie will help you see the error in your ways.” Brian mumbles, eating everything but the crust.

 

“Where did you come up with those names?” I ask.

 

“He said Brent and Jamie told him when they show up to play.” Gus tells me, as Brian pretends to be interested in picking apart the crust.

 

I waited until we were alone to talk to Brian, he has to know it sounded a bit off that he believed our children were playing with him.

 

“Don’t you think it could be that Marilyn put it in you head, and your dreams are the result of it.” I suggested.

 

“I'd like to point out there was a twin in there. You're always the one who believes in fate showing us the way. I'm willing to believe our sons stop by to play.” He tells me.

 

“You've been a skeptic throughout our relationship. It's a huge change that you're now willing to believe anything that you can't hear, see, or touch.” I tell him.

 

“You showed me that sometimes you have to believe in things, even when everyone tells you it's not possible. I believe the painting you have yet to create is about us.” He tells me.

 

“Now your seeing my future work. Are they selling still?” I joke.

 

“I'm sure you'll alway sell, but these are the five that turn your original five to ten. I'll tell you now it's only second to your best work, after Brent and Jamie.” He tells me.

 

“What are they like?” I ask, giving in.

 

MICHAEL

 

I took Jen to lunch for helping the girls get out of my house. Ben had to pull me off her when I kept hugging her. She didn’t mind, which I told Ben when he stopped me from hugging her again when she got the closing hurried, so they could start moving in.

 

“I sound like I hated them at my house, but normally I don't have them practically living with us. I'm the one who takes forever to make decisions, and now I want to apologize to everyone after this.” I tell her.

 

“I get it, I like not having people over for longer than a couple of nights. It's hard to share your space with people.” She tells me.

 

“I'll never get how Ma does it.” I tell them.

 

“If you noticed, since she and Carl started living together, she doesn't invite everyone the way she used too. Other than Sunday dinners, they aren't always opening the house to everyone.” Ben tells me.

 

“Emmett was the last one of her boys to live there. After him, she changed all the rooms into things for her and Carl.” I tell him.

 

“Even your old room.” Ben reminds me.

 

“Justin even says he misses the wallpaper. I couldn’t argue with her, that room was a way to run from growing up.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t know, there were some items in that room that made me wonder why you didn't want Deb clearing it out.” Jen laughs when I turn red. “Don’t worry, Justin and Emmett warned Carl to get your magazines out.” She just had to add to my blush.

 

“Have you heard from Brian and Justin about the baby?” Ben asks, changing the subject.

 

“Twins, Brian told me boys even though they aren’t at a stage he could know that.” She tells us.

 

“I hate tofu.” I muttered.

 

TED

 

Brian called, wanting to know if I worked up what Justin would need to start Taylor-Kinney Talent. I looked into what he wanted, but it was really a business where the talent paid the bills. Brian already purchased the building next door to us and made plans to have it connected to Kinnetik. He wanted Justin’s office connected to his, which meant changing everything about our offices. I jokingly told him it would be easier to buy the building on our other side and own the whole block, with all the changes we were making to his Ad agency. I got the go ahead for it, like he took it seriously.

 

“Brian, I was just kidding.” I tell him.

 

“Right now you’re working on spreading out into financial planning, and with Justin adding a talent agency, we’re going to need the room. Justin can afford both buildings without hurting us financially.” He tells me.

 

“He could, but I thought we were using Kinnetik to finance this.” I tell him.

 

“The twat doesn’t like taking out loans on Kinnetik. You know Justin, he has to do things the way he wants to.” He tells me, proud of Justin.

 

“I should be helping, since the financial planning is really my baby.” I tell him.

 

“It’s a partnership, I’m backing you, and really, I like the idea of making money off your hard work. I’ve been doing it for years, why change a working formula.” He tells me.

 

“I love how you seem to forget I was the one who got to go home while you sweated away, coming up with campaigns in the middle of the night.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t all about the campaigns, I think there were a few nights my twat and I sweated a different way.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll look into the other building while worrying about where you two fucked like bunnies.” I tell him, hanging up.

 

It was always something all of us were amazed by, the two of them were constantly all over each other eleven years later. Blake and I have our share of times like that, but there is only so much sex anyone could have before your body needed the rest. I remember Cynthia one time having to lead clients to the conference room instead of Brian’s office. All she had to say was Brian was in a meeting with Justin, for us to know. I got up and headed to the diner to meet Emmett and Blake for lunch, apparently Michael wanted to take Mommy Taylor out for helping his get his house back from the visitors who wouldn’t leave.

 

“I was thinking about helping the girls decorate.” Deb tells us.

 

“They said they wanted to do it on their own. I offered too, after Michael did the dance of joy in Babylon.” Emmett tells her.

 

“It was the first time I think Michael danced without anyone questioning what music he was listening to.” Blake adds, laughing.

 

“He even managed the praise Jesus, it made me so proud of him.” Emmett told us.

 

“I have to eat on the run, Brian is talking about buying both buildings next to Kinnetik for expansion.” I tell them, as Deb serves us without us ordering.

 

“Why does he want that much space?” Deb asks, sitting down with me.

 

“You might as well tell them. It’s something to be proud of.” Blake tells me.

 

“I made the suggestion to add financial planning as a service Kinnetik offers, and Justin wants to open a talent agency. Brian thinks we need space because he plans to hire an entire accounting department for me to run.” I tell them.

 

“He believes in you, because you delivered whenever he asked anything of you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I didn’t doubt I could deliver, I just thought we would be transitioning slowly into my idea.” I tell them.

“When has Brian ever done anything slowly?” Deb asks, kissing my head and yelling at the cook to hold his horses.

 

“She’s right you know, with Brian it’s all the way or why bother.” Emmett tells me.

 

I left, calling Mommy Taylor, because Brian didn’t purchase anything his mother-in-law didn’t approve of, it was the one time Brian was superstitious about anything.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 26 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Everyone except for Lindsay, Jenny, and Mel were at the diner when Justin, Gus, and I arrived. Michael begged us all to help get the girls moved. The girls seemed to think everyone could just bring cars to help get the stuff they put in storage to their house.

 

“I know they've moved more than once. Why do they want to spend all day on this, possibly longer?” Drew asked.

 

“Mom does this thing where she wants to do one room at a time. Something about placing everything where it should be.” Gus tells him.

 

“Then getting one of us to move it a month later.” Ted tells us.

 

“It's just, it would be faster to rent a moving truck, and guys to get it done. I don't mind helping, but none of our cars are made to haul couches and tables.” Drew tells us.

 

“Girls always want to do things the hard way.” Michael complains.

 

“Excuse me?” Comes attitude from Deb.

 

“I mean Lindsay and Mel.” Michael back peddles.

 

“You'd better.” She tells him, glaring.

 

Hunter comes in with Shelby following behind and asks why Deb is glaring. Michael tries to dig himself out, before Ben saves him.

 

“Why do they want to do things the hard way?” Shelby asked.

 

“We established that according to Michael, it's because they’re girls.” Emmett teases.

 

“Gus, how about we let the boys talk while you and I go check on Carl, a real man.” Deb glares at Michael. She threw her apron at Michael, taking Gus with her out the door.

 

“Mikey’s in trouble.” I chant.

 

“How is that new?” Ben asks us.

 

“Mel always tries to find ways to save money.” Ted tells Shelby.

 

“Doesn't Kinnetik offer relocation?” Justin asks.

 

“Yes my genius, it does. Hunter time to earn that check.” I tell him, kissing my genius. “Now we don't have to spend the day with the girls, playing musical furniture.” I tell them.

 

“Justin, you’re my favorite.” Michael tells him, kissing him.

 

“Saying thanks is all you needed to do.” I glare at Mikey.

 

“Yeah, don't do that again.” Justin wrinkles his nose.

 

“So it's twins?” Ben asks, laughing at Michael groaning.

 

“Please refer to them as Brent and Jamie, everything else makes Brian cranky.” Justin tells them, trying to keep a straight face. While I ignore the looks I'm being given.

 

“How's Marco?” I ask, as Emmett’s head hits the table.

 

“Emmett is still having issues?” Blake asks.

 

“Have you seen the guy?” Emmett asks.

 

“No, but I thought you were having problems with your other fantasy.” Blake tells him.

 

“What fantasy?” Justin asks. Emmett just stares at him. “You know, never mind.” Justin shakes his head.

 

“You seriously can’t say you and Brian never imagined one of us.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Nope, not once.” I tell him.

 

“Ben for the first few seconds after meeting him, but other than that, no.” Justin tells him.

 

“Not even Drew?” Emmett asks.

 

“By the time I met Drew there was already the established friend zone.” Justin tells him.

 

“What's the friend zone?” Blake asks.

 

“The place Justin and I didn't cross.” I tell him.

 

“It's not like we talked about it, but it was understood that our friends were off limits and so was anyone involved with them. So, I never bothered with imagining anything about you guys. Plus, we took so much flack for having an open relationship that you guys ruined all your chances of me imagining you guys in some of our games.” Justin tells them, snickering.

 

“My stance on that changed after watching the stuff all of us went through. I still wouldn't want one, but I understand it more.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Not me.” Michael tells us.

 

“I agree with Emmett. Who you love doesn't necessarily mean someone you choose to have sex with. It's considered wrong only because people have preconceived notions that sex equals love.” Ben tells him.

 

“Congratulations Professor, you figured out what these guys never did.” I tell him.

“Yet you two gave it up.” Michael tells me, smirking.

 

“Justin could do things better than anyone else. I figured it was time to stop kidding myself that there was anyone who could out do this mouth.” I answered, kissing said mouth.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and Ted left to meet my mom and go look at the building we were buying, taking Hunter with them to give the girls the information on the relocation expenses they could use, instead of us. I needed to work on some drafts for Kinnetik and give Shelby some blueprints for Rage and Zephyr. Michael was willing to look at some ideas for sexing his comic up, but wanted me to draw the first panels. Ben was coming with us to Britin, so I could sketch him. Michael decided he'd actually rather wait till it was done. I put Shelby in the kitchen, since Ben seemed nervous about modeling for me.

 

“I was only going to have you wear a bathing suit.” I tell him.

 

“Shelby is going to be my son-in-law, I doubt he wants to see this.” He tells me, getting changed.

 

“It’s different when I’m drawing, to me it’s looking to see the lines and bring out as much of the original as possible.” I tell him, getting started.

 

“It’s hard being the inanimate object.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not that I view you as an object, I see you for the well built man you are. My feeling is that when people model, they’re doing the artist a favor by doing it and don’t need to feel violated while doing their job.” I tell him.

 

“Michael’s comic does well as it is, why change it?” He asks me.

 

“Because Michael wants it, even though he’s still wary of doing it. He might fight me, but in the end he knew we were putting out a comic no one would. Once he’s able to see it could work without turning you into a sex object, he’ll do it.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you having Shelby help with Rage, other than Michael, you never let anyone help.” He tells me.

 

“I think it’s time for a fresh perspective. I don’t want it to reflect so much on Brian, the same way you don’t feel Zephyr should reflect your lives. I was going to offer to sell it to Michael, but he can’t see anyone but me drawing it. I’m hoping Shelby can show him there can be other illustrators.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t want to do it anymore?” He asks me.

 

“I was never as into it as Michael was, I only kept doing it because it kept me from having to depend on Brian for things. I don’t want to end it, but I also don’t want to deal with the deadlines when I’m busy with other things.” I tell him.

 

“The babies?” He asks.

 

“It’s a lot of it. My life as it is, doesn’t leave a lot of room for kids. Brian and I do well juggling Gus’s schedule, but the kids are going to live with us. I want time to be a father and not worry about having ten other things on my plate.” I tell him.

 

“Have you and Brian talked about how you’re going to manage it with Kinnetik and your shows?” He asks, getting comfortable on a chair.

 

“He knows that I want to be involved in my kids lives, and he never questions when I decide what I want to do. Rage was never something he cared as much about.” I tell him.

 

“Brian only cared that you were happy with anything you did.” He tells me.

 

“Not at first, at first he was constantly trying to force me to do things. It took what happened before New York for him to stop trying to make decisions for me.” I tell him.

 

“What Lindsay did?” He asks.

 

“She got blinded by what she would have wanted, then used Brian’s insecurity that he was holding me back to have us deciding I needed to go. It wasn’t all her, I wanted to eventually do it, but when I wanted to, not because everyone else thought I should.” I tell him.

 

“It probably came from the way Brian had to push Lindsay and Michael to do everything, he forgot who you were.” He tells me.

 

“It didn’t help that I forgot who Brian was when I started making a career.” I tell him.

 

“I only remember one time when I could say something was wrong with you two. Brian was hard to be around.” He tells me.

 

“It was when I stopped calling and took off to figure out if I was doing what was best for us. He found me and we talked to each other. I wanted to come home, and fuck the art world.” I tell him.

 

“Which didn’t happen.” He tells me.

 

“No, he told me taking the easy way out wasn’t us. Reminded me that we made promises to each other and he was still holding on to them.” I tell him.

 

“It really shows the strength of your relationship with him.” He tells me.

 

“I always thought you showed a lot of strength, staying with Michael in the beginning.” I tell him.

 

“I had to live with the ghost of Brian at the beginning. Michael finally stopped seeing a future that included him and Brian. I think a lot of it had to do with you.” He tells me.

 

“Our friendship?” I ask.

 

“The friendship is part of it, but it’s all the things that Brian depended on you for. You work with him in Kinnetik and help him when he needs to attend business functions. With Michael, Brian never depended on him for more, because he knew Michael couldn’t understand things the way you do.” He tells me.

 

“I really think it’s that Michael saw this, and Brian wasn’t going to do what you do for him.” I tell him turning the pad to him.

 

“You always amaze me.” He tells me, staring at himself.

 

“You know, Brian always adds ‘twat’ to that.” I tell him.

 

I left Ben to get dressed, only to see Brian telling Shelby something's different with Rage when he draws it.

 

“I drew the man I loved.” I tell him.

 

 

Chapter 27 Happy Birthday's mean planning it yourself by starlight
Author's Notes:

I wanted to let everyone know that my updates have been sapratic because work is kicking my tail feather, as Emmett would say. Summer is busy in Florida but I'm closer to getting a day off soon so I'll update more. 

 

I hope you enjoy Brian's birthday in this chapter. I did.

BRIAN

 

Justin can be a royal pain in the ass when he thinks I’ve gone too far, but really, what's wrong with wanting to celebrate my birthday with Gus and the twins? Granted the twins come with an incubator. But come on, I need my kids around me when turning… I can't even say it. So my idea was to escape my friends, who have never come up with a plan I wanted to participate in, coffins just remind you that there's less to look forward too.

 

“Let's be real, Michael hasn't planned anything that didn't turn into a disaster. Really, it started with Dr Dick, Ben’s very unhappy birthday, then the anniversary that was like my death day party, without the coffin.” I tell him.

 

“I agree, but seriously you can’t avoid them, they've all been looking forward to this particular birthday.” He tells me.

 

“Let's move on to best friend number two, who participated in coffin party and then mommy's invite to pre wedded bliss party, with the shit no one eats. In fact it took E to get Lindsay out of mom wear and to actually have people do more than sit and become depressed they attended. Since we agreed no more drugs, think hard about what she'll plan.” I tell him.

 

“I'll make sure there are no string instruments. Emmett will understand there will be nothing that I'll make him pay for later.” He promised.

 

“How about Emmett, who can’t plan anything for people he knows? He'll just do what the two previously mentioned wanted, in rainbow colors.” I tell him.

 

“I'll ask Ted to keep the rainbows out of the room.” Justin tells me.

 

“Then you'll let opera freak decide we need to dance to… what the hell would you dance to?” I ask.

 

“You think Deb isn't going to want to be there for you?” He asks, still trying.

 

“I don’t want to be at a theme party, which is all she ever threw for Michael. You know I have to wonder when Michael is going to figure out even Gus has surpassed him in grown up themes for his birthday.” I tell him.

 

“Fuck, I'll get Drew and Ben to help.” He says frustrated.

 

“Ben, really? I'm starting to wonder where the brain you claim to have went. We'll end up at some retreat to learn about our inner self. With some guru trying to convince everyone dressing in drag will give us eternal happiness.” I tell him.

 

“You’re reaching, Michael and Emmett went to that.” He tells me.

 

“Ben went first, then them.” I tell him.

 

“Then Drew can help.” He tells me.

 

“That’s an idea, why not invited Marco and a couple other models. Hopefully Emmett won’t throw them in the pool for attending.” I snicker.

 

“Yet you want to throw your own party.” He snickers.

 

“Yes, but why are you laughing?” I ask.

 

“Let's start with Michael’s birthday, Rage, and our wedding that wasn’t.” He tells me.

 

“Michael’s birthday would have been kick ass, if Deb hadn’t wanted Dr Dick back. Regardless of how it ended, Rage became a success, and hello, you agreed to cancel it. Otherwise our wedding was beautiful, and guess what twat, the wedding I planned, not you and Emmett, happened.” I tell him, feeling smug.

 

“Fine but could you refrain from correcting everyone when we don't call the babies anything but babies, in your presence.” He tells me, walking up the stairs.

 

Justin needs to learn that every time we argue he ends up agreeing with me. I followed him up the stairs celebrating my victory. The twat smiled as he put on sweats to go to bed.

 

I took off my shirt and pants, throwing my jock at his head walking into the shower. By the time, I got under the spray Justin was standing in front of me, naked.

 

“Happy birthday to me.” I sing as he kneels down, showing me that viagra was still far into my future.

 

PHONE TREE

 

Michael: It has to something he’ll never forget.

 

Ted: Your parties seem to be something everyone WANTS to forget.

 

Emmett: We could decorate Babylon nineties style, and get Justin to wait at the streetlight.

 

Michael: Sure and Justin can wear an adopt-a-trick shirt, come on, it has to be a party to end all parties.

 

Lindsay: Can't we do something tasteful, maybe a dinner party.

 

Michael: No, I don't think I can survive another dinner party with Brian.

 

Emmett: Michael, Monty and Eli better not attend. It's a birthday party, not a platform for how we're only helping the world believe all queers aren't as good as straight people.

 

Ted: I'm sure Brian will love to show Monty and Eli they’re right.

 

Ben: Are you guys still arguing about how to celebrate Brian’s birthday?

 

Michael: Aren't you upstairs?

 

Ben: Yes, but it seems you aren't. Why not show Brian turning…

 

All the others: Don't say it!

 

Ben: Fine, but why not have a party reflecting on his life and how the future is still a chance to learn and grow.

 

Michael: We’ll definitely keep that in mind. I'll be up in a few.

 

Ben: Night guys.

 

Michael: Okay, sooo not going to happen. Come on guys, let's keep Brian from all things Zen.

 

Ben: Michael, how about all things couch. “click”

 

Ted: Mine’s still available, I'll even get the croissants.

 

Michael: I'll throw Ben that party. I think we should do a King of Babylon night, we just have to get Justin to agree. We can even come as our favorite characters.

 

Lindsay: Michael, we can do Captain Astro for you. Trust me, Justin stripping because you asked isn’t going to make Mr Possessive happy. I still think he would rather have a family dinner.

 

Ted: I can bring the music, then we can watch Brian trying to get Justin in any corner.

 

Michael: Too bad we a ready did the coffin bit, hey we could do it at a graveyard dressed as reapers.

 

Emmett: There is nothing about graveyards in my good party plans.

 

Mel: I just want to say, plan away, because you’ll be doing it alone.

 

Lindsay: Why are you on the phone? What do you mean alone?

 

Mel: I was downstairs helping the birthday boy take his son and escape. Now that he's gone I thought it was time to end the party on the phone. “click”

 

Michael: Lindsay, stop him, he can't ruin the party!

 

Lindsay: Mel is blocking the door.

 

Ted: My career is saved. “click”

 

Emmett: Got to go, Drew just offered to go swimming. “click”

 

Michael: I just wanted to throw a party that people liked. Hello… anybody there… Hello…

 

JUSTIN

 

Do you want to know what the first part of Brian’s own party for himself was? Ultrasound to talk to his sons with Gus.

 

“Now children, one thing we need to talk about is how Dad plans to spend his next youth with you. Each year it becomes your job to thwart all the aunties and uncles, then Dad will reward each of you with the vacation of your choice. Each vacation has two requirements, sun and five star hotels, on your Daddy, for his attempt to let said aunties and uncles plan what was sure to be a truly dreadful day for your Dad. As usual, Daddy loses his spine when the gang get him to think they know me better than the man I married.” He tells them and a laughing Sarah.

 

Part two was the thing I dread when Brian feels like he’s accomplished something, shopping till we drop. Gus and I humored the old guy, until he suggested Italy had great shopping.

 

“Dad, I have school tomorrow.” Gus reminds him.

 

“I plan to teach you style. I'm sure the school will see it as a great educational experience.” He tried.

 

“I'll invite Lindsay, she’ll be thrilled.” I tell him.

 

“This is what I get for my only birthday party disaster.” He tells Gus.

 

“You had a party disaster? What happened?” Gus asks.

 

“Justin didn’t like the bow on my present.” He tells him, realizing Gus didn’t need to know about that idea.

 

Part three wasn’t his plan but mine. Gus went to bed tired, after all the shopping and eating things he had to ask what they were. I waited for Brian to get in the shower, pouting when I said I was too tired after watching the many wardrobe changes and thinking about the bill my next show would have to do well to pay. He knew better, but still tried to get me in the shower.

 

BRIAN

 

He really refused shower sex on MY BIRTHDAY? I waited and waited for him to show, but there was just a point where I had to give up and realize I wore him out shopping. I walked out drying off, then dropped the towel when I stood in front of Justin laying on the bed tied up with bows.

 

“Happy Birthday Mr Kinney, want to unwrap your present?” Justin smirks at the bow across his ass.

 

I pulled the bow that unraveled the best present Justin ever gave me. Pulling on the string slowly to watch as each bead came out larger than the last one, only made me want to do it again and again to hear him beg me to finish. I set them aside, spreading him out to taste the ass that ruined all others for me. He squirmed as I inserted my thumbs to spread him out and taste the vanilla flavored lube he used.

 

“We’ve never really had vanilla sex, I thought it was time to expand our horizons.” He panted out.

 

“It’s an interesting way to show me it could be good.” I tell him, licking around his rim.

 

He pushed me off and threw me on the bed, grabbing the lube and drizzling it over my fully hard cock, then seemed to agree vanilla wasn’t so bad as he swallowed me completely and ran is fingers over my rim before entering me with his fingers. He stimulated every hot spot I had, and had me cumming like the virgin he proved he was the first night we met, and like the first night, I turned him on his back and thrust home.

 

“You were always a part of me.” He tells me as he strokes himself.

 

It only made me harder as he said the words back to me. I pulled out and slammed back in while he screamed loud enough that we might need to worry about scaring Gus. I filled his mouth with my tongue and let him scream through our kiss as I held him still to deliver more powerful thrusts. When his lips left mine because his head pushed into the pillow while he moved with me, he managed not to scream the hotel down as he came on my chest. I kept going until the tingle started down my spine and I emptied myself into him. I collapsed on top of him while we both caught our breath. Justin moved me off of him, getting up on sluggish legs he started walking away.

 

“Where are you going?” I said sleepy.

 

“You really think we weren’t going to have shower sex tonight?” He smirks, walking into the bathroom.

 

You know I might have hummed “Happy Birthday”, but I was no longer sleepy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

HUNTER

 

I really didn’t know how to stop the train wreck that was my soon to be mother-in-law and loving father. Even Dad and Dean seemed lost at the idea of releasing doves at the ceremony. My wedding was turning into a circus, and no matter how Emmett told them that bird shit doesn’t make a wedding anything but covered in crap, they ignored it. I ended up calling Rachel to complain, because I really didn’t want to see Brian’s reaction to the birds.

 

“Jesus, I know you have balls since Shelby seems to be happy all the time. Take them out and show the ‘rents that it’s your wedding not theirs.” She tells me, sounding like she spent way too much time with Brian.

 

“They don’t even listen to Emmett, Dad is staying out of it, along with Dean. They seem to want to be able to get laid, not sleep on the couch. God, forget I mentioned anything about rent sex.” I tell her.

 

“It happens, otherwise there wouldn’t be any kids in the world.” She laughs.

 

“I’m adopted and choose to believe it doesn’t.” I tell her.

 

“What does Shelby say?” She asks.

 

“He doesn’t care, just that it ends in a wedding, but they keep things like flying shit bags out of conversations he hears.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll be there tomorrow and try to rein Daddy and Mommy in. Michael knows better than to fight me. You seriously need to show them you’re all grown up, since you think you are by asking someone to marry you.” She tells me hanging up.

 

“What’s a flying shit bag?” Brian asks, obviously listening to me rant to Rachel.

 

“It’s fucking doves that Dad thinks will just make everything complete at the wedding.” I tell him, wincing at the idea his perfect house is going to be doused by doves.

 

“Rachel will take care of it, make sure to get Cynthia in on the plans. Between the two of them they know how to deal with Michael’s crazy ideas.” He tells me, stomping up the stairs saying Justin’s getting a spanking for not checking what Mikey was up to.

 

“Brian, I think Justin likes the spankings.” I yell.

 

“Thanks for telling me something I don’t know.” He snarks, going into Justin’s studio.

 

Seconds later Justin runs out of his studio and in the direction of the bedroom, laughing his ass off as Brian chases him down the hall. Why doesn’t bother me that Brian is probably going to molest Justin in ways I’m still learning? I couldn’t even explain to myself. If it was my Dads it would make me run screaming from the room. Those two seem to inspire everyone.

 

I got up and headed to my car, thinking about how Brian started acting like I work for him too. I figured out, that to him, if I work for Justin I became a slave to both of them. I don’t mind, because Brian was teaching me how he decided whether or not to go for a campaign. Apparently it wasn’t just taking anyone who wanted him, but taking on only clients he knew would be a good fit with Kinnetiks ideas. I met the CEO for Eyeconics, Kelly, when she came to sign off on her newest campaign with Brian and Ted. She wanted to see the buildings that Brian was going to buy to expand Kinnetik with. Brian told me to show her around before sticking a hard hat on my head and telling me not to kill the woman paying him a few million. She laughed, saying she wished she only had to shell out a few million to Kinnetik. She was impressed with the fact that Brian wasn’t boxing Kinnetik in with only being an ad firm, but that he could see that branching out was a way to stay in business.

 

“Brian’s alway been a pioneer, not a follower.” She told me as we walked around.

 

“He never seems satisfied with sitting back waiting for things to happen.” I tell her.

 

“He was smart enough to listen to Justin, when I knew he was pissed that I did.” She tells me.

 

“I never heard that.” I tell her.

 

“At the time, Justin was interning at Vanguard. I came to see what Brian thought would sell my newest line. It just didn’t sing the way his campaigns usually did. I remember thinking I didn’t like the color and Justin didn’t stay silent when I asked him what he thought. Most of the time no one disagrees with Brian, but Justin just said what he thought. I was getting ready to protect Justin from losing his job. Brian agreed, he wasn’t thrilled, but agreed. Orange was the new blue, and my line out-sold even his projections. I think I left telling Brian he better watch out for Justin one day having his job. I was sort of right, since Justin owns part of Kinnetik.” She tells me.

 

“Justin really doesn’t see it that way.” I tell her.

 

“You know Justin?” She asks.

 

“I work for him now, but I’ve known him longer. I wasn’t exactly a fan at first, but then I was sort of into Brian at the time.” I tell her.

 

“Brian is hard to resist, and snatching up Justin makes a lot of sense. They're both driven, and succeed because they work hard for it. I’m a big fan of Justin’s art.” She tells me.

 

“He’s the only reason I got interested in art. Until Justin made me go to his shows I didn’t get the point in people paying the amounts his art goes for, but I also never understood buying something that expensive when it wouldn’t feed you or be a roof over your head. Justin showed me it’s about what you see and how it relates to you. After that, I understood why people would pay for a painting. Because it speaks to the viewer, and you see something in your life differently than you normally do. ” I tell her.

 

“That’s very insightful of you.”  She tells me.

 

“What made you want to see these empty buildings?” I ask her as we leave.

 

“I wanted to see Brian’s vision, it’s going to be big when Brian pulls this off.” She tells me.

 

“You have a lot a faith in Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Brian’s never not delivered on any promises he makes. I see my future in what he’s doing.” She tells me, getting in her car. “Hunter.” She calls from her window, as I was leaving to go into Kinnetik.

 

“Did you need something?” I ask her, coming back..

 

“Take my card, if you ever decide you want a change in jobs, give me a call.” She tells me.

 

“Why would you hire me?” I asked her.

 

“Because it’s obvious Brian and Justin have faith in you.” She tells me, leaving after I take the card.

 

When I told Justin about it, he said to give him a warning so he could convince Cynthia to work for him. Brian growled, but told me it was something I should think about if I got tired of diapering the twat’s ass. Which of course had Justin walking out, saying Brian might need to go back to tricking if that’s what he thought. Brian took it as some kind of challenge, and followed Justin, saying he’d diaper Justin when he was old and gray. Justin snorted and asked if that was after Brian needed his own diaper. Let’s just say, I hope when I’m forty I still have Brian’s stamina.

 

I walked up the stairs to the temporary home Shelby and I were using the loft for. We hadn’t looked for a place yet, but I’m sure Brian wanted the loft back eventually. Shelby was on the floor in just shorts, drawing with the computer that Justin left here years ago. Brian told us that he kept it updated with the latest software so Justin had it when he needed it. I laid next to Shelby, running my hand down his spine feeling the shiver he always gets when I touch him.

 

“Justin didn’t need you?” He asked, working on Rage.

 

“More like Brian needed Justin.” I tell him, not saying anything about my sort of meltdown that gave Brian a reason to need Justin.

 

“I want us to be like them when we’ve been together for eleven years.” He tells me, turning over and pulling me down to kiss him.

 

“We’re already ahead of them.” I tell him running my hands under the band of his shorts.

 

“You think so?” He asks pulling off my shirt.

 

“I didn’t wait five years to tell you I love you, and another six to finally do what they should have done instead of what they thought they should of.” I tell him pulling off his shorts and taking him in my mouth.

 

“Maybe you just learned from watching them.” He moans.

 

“No. I didn’t want to waste my time when I met the person who I knew was my future. I hate wasting time.” I tell him, putting a condom on him when he’s ready for me.

 

EMMETT

 

I knew I had to call out the big guns. How Michael thought Brian wouldn’t commit a few murders if birds shit all over his precious lawn really blew my mind. Doesn’t Michael remember who Brian is? I pulled into Jen’s driveway, knowing Michael would listen to Jen, because she knows her son-in-law better than we do.

 

“Emmett, what are you doing here?” She asks.

 

“Trying to keep Hunter’s wedding from having Brian go homicidal.” I tell her.

 

“Michael?” She asks.

 

“Doves.” I tell her, which had her grabbing her purse.

 

“Does he not understand what could happen?” She asks, as we drive to see Michael.

 

“I think it’s more along the lines of looking up too many weddings on Youtube and not seeing the ‘after we did something this stupid’ part of the video.” I tell her.

 

“Why are they not listening to you, or even asking the boys what they want?” She asks.

 

“We are talking about Michael.” I remind her, as we pull in.

 

Ben opened the door, not even acting surprised that Mommy Taylor was here with me. “I tried.” He tells us, leading us into the kitchen where Deb was looking at the list for the wedding.

 

“Michael, No doves or any other animal.” Jen tells him.

 

Michael just nodded and crossed it off. Deb rolled her eyes. “We all told him.” She tells Jen.

 

“Jen says it differently.” Michael shrugged.

 

“Really, how was it different than Hunter, me, and your mother?” Ben asks.

 

“It’s like hearing it from Brian.” He tells him.

 

“Okay, then Emmett plans this wedding and I hold veto power, because I don’t have time to tell you what everyone else already has.” Jen tells him.

 

“I thought it would be neat to release the birds that symbolize love, Mary even agreed.” He tells her.

 

“Whose wedding are you planning?” Deb asks.

 

“Hunter and Shelby’s.” He says, like it’s obvious.

 

“Are you sure, because you and Mary seem to think it’s yours?” I tell him.

 

“I guess it’s because Ben and I didn’t have time to plan one and no one else ever included me in the planning.” He tells us.

 

“Now you know why.” Deb tell him.

 

“Do your son the favor of listening, before Rachel and Cynthia have to get involved.” Jen tells him.

 

“Why do you think they would get involved?” Michael asks her.

 

“Because when Brian or Justin need someone to deal with things they see as too ridiculous to explain, who do they call?” Jen asks him, as the phone rings.

 

 

Ben answered, laughing when he handed it to Michael. “Yes Cynthia, Jen already told me.” He sighs.

Chapter 29 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

In an attempt to keep Brian from murdering his best friend, I suggest the most dreaded thing I could come up with, and actually managed to get it out of my mouth.

 

“We need to get Hunter a suit for his wedding.” I say, wanting to stab myself, after the birthday shopping spree.

 

“Like Pittsburgh has what he should wear.” He grumbles.

 

“I sort of got invited to show in the show in Italy. So you know, you could take Hunter to get it as our present, after he sets up the show. We’ll be back three days before the wedding. Or you and I could stop off in New York and check on Sarah, then we’ll come home in time to watch.” I tell him.

 

“Come here.” He tells me, pointing to his lap.

 

“I’m offering shopping in Rome and you think that deserves a spanking?” I ask, but then decide why not, crawling across his lap.

 

“No spanking, since you like it.” He tells me, unzipping me.

 

“Wait, I don’t get spanked, which I like, because I’m taking you to ROME.” I tell him, getting up.

 

“How about I shut up.” He tells me, unzipping himself and rearranging me so I could use my legs for leverage.

 

I shut him up by tangling my tongue with his, then lifted to take all of him in me. We were really just too involved in each other to hear the door opening and people coming in. I was almost there, and decided Michael didn’t deserve the help I was going out of my way to keep him alive with, when the door to the office started opening.

 

“Fucking open that door and Hunter will be fatherless!” Brian shouted, but didn’t stop my expressway to orgasam.

 

“Jesus, how do either of them get anything done?” Michael tells whoever came with him.

 

“Like this.” Brian tells me, thrusting up into me, slamming me into the desk.

 

“Faster.” I whisper, trying not to scream the way I would if my house was empty.

 

“Michael get away from the door!” Emmett shouts.

 

“I was, but it sounded like something fell.” He tells Emmett.

 

“I’m going to murder the idiot who thought the wedding should be here.” Brian tells me lifting me to the desk and power thrusting.

 

“Hi, idiot.” I said, screaming as I came on us.

 

“I’m only half of the idiot team.” He tells me, holding still while cumming.

 

BRIAN

 

As half the team, it became my job to deal with what had Mikey showing up to the house when Justin and I were in the middle of, well what we’re always in the middle of when I get him alone.

 

“Why are you here?” I ask, determined to get them out and see if Justin needs help in the shower.

 

“I wanted to remeasure the backyard, Mary and I thought it would be a good idea to put a tent out there because of the bugs.” Mikey tells me.

 

“It didn’t required coming IN the house to get to the back of the house.” Emmett reminds him.

 

“I also needed to talk to Justin about something Ben told me to. I didn’t think I’d find you two going at it again.” Mikey tells me.

 

“What did Ben tell you that you need to ask Justin?” I ask him.

 

“I want to ask him before you find out.” He tells me, as if it’s something I won’t like.

 

“Mikey, there is nothing you could ask Justin that I don’t probably already know, since Justin and I do talk to each other.” I tell him.

 

“He wants to know if I’m really planning on not doing Rage anymore.” Justin tells me, as he walks into the living room.

 

“Why do you want to stop?” Mikey asks him.

 

“I have more important things that are going to need my attention. If I keep everything the way it is then our children will end up being raised by other people.” He tells Michael.

 

“Did you know?” Michael asks, and starts getting upset.

 

“No, but I’m not surprised that Justin would pick Rage as one of the things he’s giving up. He was never as into comics as you were. He only did it because it was the way you and him could find something outside of me to have in common. I think you both don’t needed that to be the friends you are now.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t plan for Rage to disappear, but possibly continue on with a different illustrator and you as the writer again. It doesn’t have to be Shelby, but I wanted you to see that Rage can be drawn by someone other than me.” Justin tells him.

 

“We do it better when you and I talk about the stories together. You kept me from turning Rage into another Captain Astro. When I was scared to throw it in their faces, you were the one who asked me if we just wanted to be another comic or be the comic we told ourselves we were writing. I’ve always thought we’d do it together.” Mikey tells him.

 

“I’m not going anywhere, and when you need me to kick your ass or tell you the story line is idiotic, trust me, it will be my pleasure.” Justin smirks.

 

Justin took Michael out back to talk, while Emmett and I went to get a drink. He gulped the first one down, choking since it wasn’t one of his fruity specials.

 

“I almost killed Lindsay.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“You know Michael had to discuss this with everyone, because to him this was like Captain Astro dying. Well, Lindsay had to add in her two cents, she said Justin should have quit the comic, his art was too important for him to be taking time to live Michael’s silly dream. I know she didn’t mean it to sound the way it came out, but it made Michael feel like Justin was spitting on Rage. I tried to tell Michael it was more about the babies, not about thinking Rage was a waste of the Artist’s time.” Emmett tells me.

 

I waited until they left to ask Justin about it. I knew he’d been having a hard time juggling all the commitments he had, and eventually would have to stop trying to do everything, to be able to give attention to the things that were important in our lives. I planned to help him, but he’s always wanted to do everything without putting anyone else’s life out.

 

“You could’ve stopped helping on the campaigns at Kinnetik. Murph can handle it, and only call you when he really needed you. He only calls because he likes working with you.” I tell him.

 

“I like what I do with Murph.” He tells me, getting things out for dinner.

 

“Why Rage?” I ask, not really caring one way or the other about it.

 

“Because Michael could do it and it wouldn’t turn into crap. It’s more because I never saw it going on this long. When I took over I only did it so I could pay for things, but now it’s time I could spend on our dreams and our life.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t plan on leaving raising the boys to you.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t think you did, but if I keep Rage then I’m stuck with deadlines that I would rather not have. Even with your campaigns, Murph can finish what we do together, if I need to do something else. My painting is up to me when I show it. It’s not like when I first started to have shows, I had to meet their deadlines, now they either wait or I don’t do the shows. I like the freedom everything but Rage gives me. I didn’t just wake up and decide this. I looked at everything and made the decision based on what would work for us. I’ll always love Rage, but I don’t need it the way Michael does, for me painting is what I need. Michael’s fine now that he knows that I’ll be there if he needs me to talk through a storyline.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t care if Michael is okay. I care that you're doing this because you want to, not because you feel like I won’t help with our children.” I tell him.

 

“I know you’re going to help, we’ve been raising Gus together. You do more than I do for Gus, so it’s never been a question that you’ll be a great father to Brent and Jamie.” He tells me.

 

“You finally said their names.” I tell him.

 

“I’m still trying to figure out why those names.” He tells me.

 

“It’s the names they said we were going to name them anyway. I like they’ll each have our initials.” I tell him.

 

“Only you would think BJ was something to name a kid.” He tells me, giggling.

 

“Well twat, according to them if you’d named them it would have been worse than Abraham.” I tell him, smirking.

 

MEL

 

We were going to have one of those conversations where Lindsay wouldn’t like what she hears. I couldn’t believe the way she put down Michael’s comic. I know we all make fun of his love of comics, but it’s never to hurt him, and he will make jokes about it himself. What Lindsay said made it seem like the comic that put money in JR’s account was a waste of time. I waited until we were home to say anything, because I didn’t want to embarrass everyone when Lindsay might not understand why what she said was wrong.

 

“You’ve been quiet.” Lindsay comments, when the kids ran play with the neighbor’s kids.

 

“I didn’t want to say what I thought of what you said to Michael, in front of everyone.” I tell her.

 

“He really thinks Justin’s career is less important than a comic that should have ended years ago.” She tells me, brushing off the work Michael and Justin put into the comic, a successful one.

 

“It wasn’t about Justin’s career, but a comic they have done together for years. Justin wanting to stop would be a major thing for them.” I tell her.

 

“I’m sure Justin will let Michael continue it, but Michael was acting like it was the end of the world.” She tells me.

 

“How would you feel if someone told you your work was a silly job?” I ask her.

 

“My job will give people a chance to make it in their fields, not draw a cartoon.” She tells me, still not understanding.

 

“Michael’s comic put enough money in JR’s account that if Brian hadn’t contributed with us, she would still have more than enough to go to college. It’s something important to Michael and you made it sound as if it shouldn’t be.” I tell her.

 

“I didn’t mean for him to think I didn’t see it as important. I just didn’t understand why Michael thinks only Justin could do it.” She tells me.

 

“It’s something Michael and Justin did together that wasn’t about Brian. I know Rage was based on their lives, but in the end it gave Michael a way to be friends with Justin, apart from everyone else. Justin had a different relationship with each of us, but it was harder when Michael was jealous of Justin’s relationship with Brian. When they did the comic, they were able to bond with each other and not see each other as the enemy. Michael’s always been afraid of change, and this means he loses something that he had with Justin. It’s about more than Justin not wanting to do the comic.” I tell her.

 

“Shit, I guess I should apologize. All I could see was Michael acting like the world was coming to an end. Truthfully, I never got why Justin did it.” She tells me.

 

“It wasn’t something for you to get. It had absolutely nothing to do with you.” I tell her.

 

“I care about Justin.” She argues.

 

“Then care, but keep your opinions to yourself.” I tell her.

 

 

Lindsay got up and walked to the bedroom, slamming the door. It was nothing new, until she opened the door and looked at me. “I just need a minute, I know you're right, but it still hurts to hear.” She tells me, closing the door quietly this time.

Chapter 30 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I was in a place I like to call my second heaven, The Corso in Rome. I have the twat to thank for the designers of Versace and Armani willing to dress out the wedding party, since Justin was willing to do painting for each of them as payment for their generosity. I might not be thanking Jen for making me take Mikey and Ben with us. Apparently Rachel, Cynthia, and Emmett convinced my mother-in-law that it would be easier if they got Mikey away from the plans. I just scheduled a spa day where I wouldn’t have to listen to Mikey freak out when he sees what Justin’s painting were really worth. He knows Justin sells higher than most artists, but he also knows from years of watching me buy suits how much they were willing to trade for an original Justin Taylor-Kinney to hang in their hallowed halls. It all just made shopping the headache Justin and Gus complain that shopping with me does. I left the Novotny crew to get sized, and went to the place Justin made an appointment for us to get a massage, I tried to convince him to come with me, but he had interviews and still likes to make sure everything is exactly how he wants it to look. Hunter took it okay, since he's new at this job, but Justin needs to give Hunter the responsibility he trusted Rachel with. The real truth is we've been busy and our sex life is down to twice a day. Which means cranky Taylor-Kinney's to the rest of the world.

 

The chick handed me a towel and told me my drinks were waiting in the room. I walked in, liking the service.

 

“Should I use the towel?” I ask.

 

“It only gets in the way, why not go au naturel. I might be willing to give you more than the scheduled massage.” He tells me, licking his lips.

 

“My husband might not like this, but you've made it hard to resist.” I tell him, taking off everything to give him the full package.

 

“Variety, it's the spice of life, you obviously agree.” He tells me, kneeling down and showing me he's worth the time, when he swallows me all the way.

 

I held his face, making him look up at me as I pulled out of his mouth and let him twirl his tongue around the head of my cock before pushing in until he had me down his throat. I fucked his mouth faster until I was ready to cum and let him swallow every drop.

 

He got up, removing his pants and bending over the table, spreading his ass to show me the dildo he had vibrating in his ass. I pulled it out, before shoving it back in to hear him whisper to work it faster so he could cum. I poured the oil on the table next to me on my cock to make my entrance into his ass easier, because the dildo had nothing on what I would do to him.

 

“You want this?” I ask pulling the dildo out and pressing my cock forward until the head breached him.

 

“Please, I need to feel your cum in my ass.” He tells me.

 

“That's the privilege only my husband gets.” I tell him, thrusting home.

 

“Only we have to know. The idea of you dripping out of my ass while I walk around is turning me on.” He moans, pushing back to get more of me.

 

“You like the idea of wearing my scent, knowing it's in you?” I ask, speeding up when he reaches back, pulling me to him.

 

“Faster, I need to feel you for days.” He begs.

 

I pulled out and flipped him on his back, lifting his legs over my shoulders, holding his ass open so I could watch as my dick was swallowed in. He begged and pleaded for me to finish inside him and I continued until he came all over himself and me before I thrust into him one last time, pouring myself inside him.

 

“Love you.” Justin said, before letting me slip out of him.

 

“It was worth listening to Mikey queen out.” I tell him.

 

HUNTER

 

Shelby just smiled as my dad was stroking out over Brian and Justin’s wedding gift. Dad worried that once again it was Brian doing his job as my dad, not him.

 

“I wanted to pay for everything.” Dad pouts.

 

“Michael, they see Hunter as theirs too. You know Brian wouldn’t let a chance to have suits made for him go by.” Ben tells him.

 

“It's just, well Justin shouldn't have to use his paintings. Do you realize how much this means his work goes for?” He asks us.

 

“Actually Justin's paintings go for more.” Shelby adds, not helping.

 

“What!” Dad screams. “It makes sense now.” He mumbles.

 

“What makes sense?” I ask.

 

“What Lindsay said.” He shrugs.

 

“Can you guys give us a second?” I ask Ben and Shelby.

 

“It’s fine.” Dad tells me.

 

“We’ll head to the restaurant.” Shelby tells me, taking Ben.

 

“You're not Todd, so ‘it's fine’ doesn't work.” I tell him.

 

“It's easier to understand now.” He tells me.

 

“You acted like you understood when you talked to Justin.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not easy for me that he could let go of something that I loved we did together.” He tells me.

 

“He told me it wasn’t the easiest decision, because it made it so you and he could talk to each other when neither of you knew how to. He also knew that you wouldn’t turn Rage into a joke, and that made it easier on him to let it go, because you would be there to keep it true. Dad, he wants to have time for the babies and his life with Brian. He can’t if he has things that pull him in other directions.” I tell him.

 

“I know I shouldn’t let what Lindsay said bother me, but after seeing the fashion houses act like it was an honor to be asked by Justin, I can see where Lindsay thought I was dragging Justin down with Rage.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay talks out her ass, and you should know better. Why are you even listening to anything she has to say?” I ask him.

 

“Because I’m an idiot?” He asks.

 

“If it bothers you that Justin and Brian did this for me, we can tell them no, and believe it or not Justin isn’t going to get pissed off about this. He really was trying to keep Brian from murdering the father of the groom for the crazy shit you came up with.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted everything for you that I never got.” He tells me.

 

“Then plan it for you and Ben, you don’t have to miss out on the things you really wanted just because you got married already. What would you have wanted if you could have done it?” I ask him.

 

“I liked that he loved me enough that it didn’t matter where we had it.” He tells me.

 

“Shelby feels the same way, so maybe quit thinking we need to have the wedding of the century and just a wedding where everyone was there and happy for us.” I tell him.

 

“It’s all I ever wanted for my kids.” He tells me, hugging me.

 

“You gave me everything when you welcomed me into the life you were starting with Ben.” I whisper to him.

 

BEN

 

“Why does everyone call him Michael, but Brian?” Shelby asks, when we were seated.

 

“For me, I didn’t see it as a good thing to be involved with someone who was referred to by a childhood nickname. I don’t know why the others don’t use it the way Brian does.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe it’s something only Michael and Brian understand.” He tells me.

 

“My theory is that Brian used it because it’s something a brother would. He was showing Michael from the beginning where Michael fit into his life. If you notice he never turned Justin’s name into anything but Justin.” I tell him.

 

“He does tend to refer to Justin as Sunshine or twat, though.” I giggle.

 

“The whole family calls Justin by different names. Deb and Brian use Sunshine most of the time. Emmett sticks with Baby and Ted stayed with Justin. While Michael calls him Boy Wonder a lot of the time.” I tell him.

 

“You use Justin, not anything else?” He asks me.

 

“It’s more to show him I respect the man he always was. He was only eighteen when I met him, but he was so far above that age that he was leaving Brian and the gang in the dust. I didn’t ever want him to feel like I didn’t see him for the man he was when I met him.” I tell him.

 

“You respect him?” He asks.

 

“I do, because there was a time when he and I were dealing with being partners to the ‘Brian and Mikey show’. Both of us questioned at one time if our partners wanted us or each other, because they had this relationship we weren’t allowed to cross into.” I tell him.

 

“Yet all of you are still friends?” He asks.

 

“Michael and Brian had to decide what was more important, their little games or us. It took Brian more time, but I think it was more to do with Justin’s age than not wanting to settle down.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t really think about the age difference between them, they seem to made for each other.” He tells me.

 

“It wasn’t always easy for us to see. Michael at one time would have protected only Brian, but now he tends to jump on Brian when he thinks he isn’t doing the things Justin needs. I seriously want to know why Lindsay had to add fuel to Michael’s insecurities. She had him thinking the wrong thing about why Justin wanted to quit Rage.” I tell him, slightly pissed.

 

“She really needs to worry about her life and not Justin’s. I can understand as an artist that seeing Justin do all the things he did would be enviable, but not thinking I knew everything.” He tells me.

 

“She gave up and used Justin to keep her dream alive. It’s not as bad as when Justin and Brian were going to get married the first time, but she still can’t stay completely out of it. It’s why Justin never asks her for advice, because her way was to have him move away from Brian.” I tell him.

 

“So, stay away from Lindsay if I decide to go in that direction.” I joke.

 

“No, I’d say listen, because it’s not all her talking out of her ass. But keep control of how YOU want your career to work. In fact, the only people you should listen to are you and Hunter. You're marrying into a family that likes to put their two cents in, even if no one asks for it. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth the trouble it could cause you and Hunter. As your soon to be father-in-law, I’m only going to offer suggestions and let you make mistakes on your own. Someone gave me that advice about Hunter and he was right.” I tell him.

 

“Sounds like it was worth listening to.” He tells me.

 

“It made it so Hunter was willing to live.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 31 by starlight

HUNTER

 

It will be the wedding that goes down in history, because Shelby and I had everyone believing we were high during the ceremony. I don’t know why it happened. We were both ready to get married, listened to the speeches about how we were entering into a new stage of adulthood, and understood the seriousness of the commitment we were making. So when we stood in front of everyone getting ready to say our vows, I looked at Shelby, wanting to say something along the lines of the reasons I loved him and would always love him, but instead, started laughing, and couldn’t get a word out. Shelby seemed to have the same problem, and managed to say he loved me before busting out laughing.

 

At least Dad took it well, and joined in when we couldn’t say a sentence without giggling. Jenny and Gus told me at the reception, it was better than other weddings where everyone acted all serious. It was also a relief, since I panicked last night, after Shelby left to stay at his parents house for the night. I don’t know what caused me to start having doubts, but it was suddenly too real. I wanted to marry Shelby, but I started worrying about everything. He was almost finished with college and would be starting his life married to me. What about his career and what happens if like Justin, he needs to do it away from me? How could I stand in his way? My career could just as easily take me away from him, then how do we keep our relationship strong? Everyone noticed my panicking thoughts and I just blurted it out loud.

 

“It's normal to have doubts.” Ben tells me.

 

“I acted like a total idiot, instead of saying yes when Ben asked, I went to Brian. Which made me see Ben was offering me the future I wanted, not the past I was over.” Michael smirks at Brian.

 

“Our wedding was disaster after disaster, I went to Brian, practically begging for help.” Mel tells me.

 

“I remember thinking everything was a sign that we were doing this for the wrong reasons. It disappeared when we saw what the guys did for us.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“What?” Brian asks when they all looked at him.

 

“Give him something.” Michael tells him.

 

“I had the same doubts he did, and since we didn't get married, I thought it would be better to leave it alone.” Brian tells Michael, shrugging.

 

“How did you stay together with Justin not being around?” Ben asks.

 

“Because loving the twat didn't change with miles between us. I held on to the knowledge that we didn't fight as hard as we did to be together only to fail when we both knew what we wanted. If I could have changed anything, it would've been listening to anyone about what we wanted. Justin already knew what he was going to do and when he wanted to do it, but instead, we listened to someone who didn’t sacrifice anything for their relationship, but thought we should. They got to sleep in their cozy bed next to their partner, not even thinking about the fact that doing what they did, left Justin and me trying to find times just to see each other face to face. Hunter won’t have to deal with Shelby being away for months at a time, because unlike me, his career will allow him to be with Hunter. So all this worrying is just Hunter being a bigger twat than Justin can be.” Brian tells us.

 

“Brian, dance with me.” Justin tells him, leading him away from the very quiet group.

 

“We didn’t make them feel that way, did we?” Michael asks, worried when it was obvious who Brian was talking about.

 

“No, it wasn't you.” Ted tells him.

 

“I thought it was what Justin needed.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I'm sure you did, but it's like you forgot that Brian needed Justin. You left and we were all here watching Brian and Justin try to get every minute they could together. Cynthia and I took on any responsibility that would give Brian a chance to be with Justin. I know there were nights when I held Blake close thinking, thank God we didn’t have to do what Brian and Justin did.” Ted tells her.

 

“I know there were times I could've made things easier for them, but in the end it didn’t matter, because they always managed to come back to each other. It's why when Brian tried to act like he was only doing the wedding for Justin, I made him admit he wouldn’t do it if he didn’t want to. Even when they canceled the wedding, I knew one day it would happen.” Michael tells us.

 

“Brian said it best, if you love someone then miles don’t change it.” Blake tells me.

 

“Shelby having a career doesn’t have to be without you. You find a way, because it's possible. They did it.” Emmett tells me.

 

“They'll always do it. They showed us our problems were nothing in comparison, when our partners were in our lives day to day.” Ben tells me.

 

It was something Justin gave me when he offered me the job, the opportunity to never have to wait on Shelby to do what he needs to do. He already offered for us to use the apartment in New York if we ever needed it, and let me know if I needed to be with Shelby, my job could be done without holding his hand. It made me wonder if Justin planned it so Shelby and I wouldn’t have to do what he and Brian did.

 

I sat next to Shelby, looking at all the couples in our life. Finding things about each that I hoped for in our lives. I wanted the simplicity of staying home and doing little things together like Ted and Blake. The crazy, happy, sometimes jealous, Emmett and Drew. Having kids and careers the way Mel and Lindsay did. Loving someone even when you could lose them, but not caring, because Ben gives Michael everything he wants. The strength to fight against all the odds, as if time was just waiting on the man you love, the way Brian and Justin did for each other. Knowing you found the person who will grow old with you like Deb and Carl. They all showed me the adventure that was waiting for Shelby and me. I kissed him, ready to go to the Bahamas, a gift from our parents. The hotel was Brian and Justin’s gift, with everything being paid for. Mel and Ted gave us this awful statue, but with a card and an account started for our future, which everyone contributed to. Emmett offered his service to decorate the home we will eventually buy, with Drew saying the furniture was on him, including the people to move the furniture in for us. Michael and Ben wanted to have us come with them to Tibet as a family as their present. Mary and Dean waited till last and told us they wanted to put the down payment on our first home. Shelby and I agreed to let Jen help us find a house when we got back, it was time for the loft to belong to the kings again.

 

BRIAN

 

We saw Hunter and Shelby off, being pelted by bird seed. Which Michael tried to argue would clean itself.

 

“What does bird seed attract?” I ask.

 

“Birds, duh.” Mikey says the obvious.

 

“Flying shit bags!” Hunter yells, hustling Shelby in the car to get away.

 

“It also grows, which means weeds.” Emmett tells him, just to bury Mikey faster.

 

“I'm sure your gardener wouldn’t allow anything that could offend the great Brian Kinney.” Mel jokes.

 

“I like variety, chaos helps me paint.” Justin defends Mikey.

 

“Yeah, I think there's even sunflower seeds.” Mikey runs in the house to get away from me.

 

“You're really protecting the destroyer of my carefully maintained lawn?” I ask, when Justin and the rest follow Mikey.

 

“No, but I'm sort of hungry.” Justin tells me.

 

“He’s always hungry.” Ted comments.

 

I glared up at the sky, daring anything to shit on my lawn. Gus stood next to me helping. My boys were giggling in my head at the idea that I think I control everything. Gus took off when Justin told him there was cake to finish.

 

“I never knew you were angry.” Lindsay tells me, standing in front of me.

 

“I didn’t realize I still was.” I tell her.

 

“Even though you and Justin still stayed together?” She asks.

 

“Nothing could have stopped Justin and me from staying together. You just seemed to think we needed it, which isn't something you would have appreciated if I did to you or Mel.” I tell her.

 

“I just couldn’t see how he could let a huge opportunity like that go. When I talked to him, he made it sound like it didn’t matter to him. He said that the only thing that mattered was being with you.” She tells me.

 

“It was something only Justin should’ve been allowed to decide. In the end I didn’t give him a choice, because you made it so it sound like I was taking away something from him. You weren’t all to blame, but like Michael when Justin and I were having problems, you left out something that could have changed what happened. I forgave Michael for not telling me something that I can’t say would have changed anything, and I can forgive you for doing what Michael did too. What I can’t forgive you for right now, is causing Michael to doubt his life’s work and having Justin feel like a decision he made about Rage was hurting Michael. You keep giving Justin reasons not to include you in things, when at one time you were the person he would have wanted to share his career with. I don’t want to have to constantly put out fires you start because you don’t think before you say or do something.” I tell her.

 

“I didn’t mean to sound like Rage was a joke. It’s just, compared to everything else in Justin’s career, Rage didn’t seem like it should be important.” She tells me.

 

“The penthouse Justin bought us, you remember that don’t you?” I ask. “Rage and his art bought it. Rage and Zephyr’s adventures helped to pay off this house, because I wouldn’t let Justin use the money he was making from his painting to help pay for it, so Justin found a way around it by making Rage more successful by including Michael’s comic. If Michael and Ben hadn’t wanted to put every dime they could in accounts for Jenny and Hunter, they could have vacationed well on what Zephyr’s Adventures was bring in. Just because it was a comic didn’t make it silly, or something Justin was wasting his time on with Michael. It was their business, and you treated it like a silly pastime.” I tell her.

 

“It hurt that Michael was more important to Justin than I was.” She tells me.

 

“The only people important to Justin are Gus, me, and the boys about to be a part of our lives. He doesn’t play favorites otherwise. You made it harder for him to want to include you, when every time he saw you, you worried about his career, not that he took time to see our son. You want Justin to include you, then don’t come at him with more advice he doesn’t need.” I tell her.

 

“In other words, think everything I want, but don’t say it.” She tells me.

 

“It’s good advice, because saying what you think seems to piss everyone off.” I tell her, hugging her.

 

“Mel told me.” She whispers.

 

“Then listen to your partner, because she loves you.” I tell her, taking her in to join the feeding frenzy in the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 32 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Life was moving on, not as fast as I wanted it to, but today we were going to find out the sex of the boys. Not that I needed to find out, even with everyone doubting me. Sarah kept us informed of all the noteworthy moments, I planned to feel our sons moving today. The ultrasound had been pushed back because of shows Justin had, so we were here at the six month marker, instead of earlier.

 

“I guess I owe my nurse, she won the bet. It's boys.” The doctor tells us.

 

“Michael is going to be eating tofu for a month.” Justin giggles.

 

“Why he ever doubted me will always be a mystery. I’m always right.” I tell them, basking in once again being proven right.

 

“Don’t listen to Dad, he told me women would be falling at my feet, so far Lisa just says I smell like feet.” Gus tells Sarah’s stomach.

 

“Sonny boy, it takes time for the Kinney charm to work it’s magic. It had Jus chasing me all over the place until he caught me.” I tell him.

 

“Mama said it was because Jus felt sorry for you.” Gus smirks Brian’s smirk at him.

 

“I really did, he was really old when I met him.” I joke.

 

“As old as you are now.” I told Justin.

 

“We can argue if you want, but you weren’t twenty-eight when we meet.” Justin tells me.

 

“You won’t be in a couple of weeks.” I tell him.

 

I kissed the stomach that carried the next loves of my life, before getting the video of our boys, showing us that like their father, they were ready to take on the world. We flew back, because Mel and Lindsay agreed that this was important for Gus and missing one day of school wasn’t as big a deal as seeing his siblings. Justin stayed at Lindsay’s and Mel’s when I told him I needed to talk to a client. I went to Woody’s where Michael was waiting. Justin’s birthday tended to be us doing what he wanted, but this year I wanted to make a bigger deal out of it. Michael was convinced that we should have both Justin and Ben’s parties together. I was good with the idea because Justin never likes to be the center of attention.

 

Emmett, Ted, Drew, and Blake were there arguing with Michael, most likely because he’s thought of something crazier than his past ideas.

 

“I don’t see why you guys think it would suck. The whole family didn’t get to see them get married and Ben and I could do it again too.” Michael tells everyone, as I sit down.

 

“I thought we were here to talk about throwing a birthday party, not a wedding?” I ask Michael.

 

“We could propose at their birthday party and have a renewing of vows for everyone. Most of us didn’t get to see you two get married.” Michael tells me.

 

“Then watch the video, we are not planning your birthday, but our partners.” I tell him.

 

“I… can’t believe I’m going to say this out loud, but I’m out of ideas.” Michael admits, defeated.

 

“Shocking, after all the many crazy ideas you came up with for Hunter’s wedding.” Ted teases.

 

“I don’t understand why you two want to plan Ben and Justin’s birthdays together. They don’t even like the same things.” Blake tells us.

 

“Justin’s never liked being the center of attention. The first year, I ignored his birthday, getting him a hustler instead. He told me later he would have been fine with it being us spending the day together. Which we’ve done every year. This year everything in our lives has changed for the better and I want to do more than eat dinner together. Ben and Justin might like different things but they both deserve for Michael and I to continue to show them they mean more to us than our friendship.” I tell him.

 

“Ben sort of said he didn’t want a big party.” Michael said glumly.

 

“He’s probably saving himself from the graveyard.” Emmett jokes.

 

“Yeah, that one would have had me digging you a grave.” I tell Michael.

 

“At least it wasn’t the dinner party Lindsay wanted.” Michael argues.

 

“Or Justin reenacting the King of Babylon.” Ted rolls his eyes at Michael.

 

“Who veto that idea?” Drew asks.

 

“I did, because Brian told me he’d kill anyone thinking they got to see Baby’s ass.” Emmett tells Drew.

 

“Or suggest Death parties or dinner parties.” Ted adds.

 

“How did you know?” Michael asks.

 

“That my two best friends suck at planning anything, because you two invited me to all your stupid ideas.” I tell him.

 

“Then you suggest something if you think you're any better.” Michael tells me, glaring.

 

“I’m glad you finally realized I’m the genius at this. Someone doubted me until we got away from the plans you guys discussed.” I tell Michael, patting his head.

 

“We’re waiting for you to show us your genius.” Emmett taunts.

 

“Drew you want to do the honors?” I ask.

 

“Sure, it will show Emmett party planning isn’t just something he’s capable of. The owner of the Ironmen is lending me his yacht, which was designed to throw after parties for the team and families. Brian and I are going to have the best party planner in the business get the yacht  ready for a weekend cruise, where we can all relax and celebrate the births of Michael and Brian’s husbands. Which Justin and Ben will appreciate, because it won’t be anything that could shock the kids, unlike Michael and the strip contest. Which by the way, Brian and I were not going to do with you. It would just embarrass you, Michael.” Drew tells him, laughing.

 

“Why did you even act like we were planning this together? You and Drew already decided.” Michael  threw up his hands.

 

“We both knew you’d keep trying to turn this into another party where nothing goes according to plan, so like always, I made the decision to save my sanity.” I tell him.

 

“We are going to have a cake, right?” Michael asks.

 

“Yes, but no strippers popping out of them, Michael.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Is there some reason the stripper theme keeps coming up?” I ask.

 

“We don’t know, Michael keeps suggesting it.” Emmett tells us.

 

“What’s going on?” Ted asks Michael.

 

“I know he loves me, but it’s like he isn’t interested lately.” Michael tells them.

 

“He’s been working a lot since you got back, he could just be tired Michael.” Blake tells him.

 

“Maybe, but I was reading that it helps if you rekindle the flame.” Michael tells us, and all I could think was ‘Why God? Why it was me and not Justin?’ At least he can fake caring about this shit.

 

“Just because you're not having sex everyday doesn’t mean anything.” Ted tells him.

 

“Sometimes life gets in the way.” Emmett tells him.

 

“You and Drew have days at a time where you don’t have sex?” Michael asks.

 

“When he’s away, yeah.” Emmett tells him, realizing that wasn’t helping.

 

“I’m sure there are times when Brian and Justin have down days.” Ted tells Michael, trying to help.

 

“Do you?” Michael asks.

 

“Yeah, you know, like when you show up and monopolize our day, we only manage twice instead of the four or five times a day.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe he found someone who interests him more.” Michael tells us, worried.

 

“Have you asked? Next time you see him, ask him. It would probably be better than sitting here whining to us about it.”  I tell him.

 

“It’s, well, um, I think it’s that we do the same thing all the time and he’s bored.” Michael admits.

 

“I could see that, but add something new.” Emmett tells him.

 

“He seems to like being the top.” Michael tells us.

 

“Not always.” I snort.

 

“You do.” Michael tells me.

 

“Not always.” I tell him.

 

“I love receiving, but it doesn’t mean I don’t like to top too.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Blake and I are verse, so it just depends on the mood.” Ted tells him.

 

“You’ve topped before Michael, so just throw your man down and show him.” Emmett tells him.

 

Michael got up, saying he was opening his store early because a new comic was coming out. I left to get Justin, because I wasn’t in the mood to discuss their boring sex lives. I got to my car to see Michael standing there.

 

“I thought you needed to go.” I tell him.

 

“Do you like when Justin tops?” He asks.

 

“I like when Justin wants to have sex, how it happens doesn’t matter.” I tell him.

 

“How do you two keep it from becoming routine?” He asks, making me wish I was having the very unroutine sex Justin and I have together.

 

“The mechanics are routine but we both find ways to make the scenery different. Use your imagination to give Ben a change of scenery.” I tell him.

 

“Did he like it when he was with you?” Michael asks, not sounding jealous like in the past.

 

“He didn’t hate it.” I tell him.

 

“What if I disappoint him? I’m asking because I’ve never heard a guy complain in the past about sex with you, except the asshole you were afterwards.” He tells me.

 

“Mikey, you know your best buddy Justin, no one complained when he topped either. He’s more likely to tell you what you need to know, being the helpful twat he is.” I tell him, getting in the car.

 

Michael went back into Woody’s, no doubt to get more unhelpful advice. I’m sure Ben is going to love the conversations at the diner tomorrow morning. As usual the whole bar was listening, and texting the gay grapevine that the professor and Mikey aren’t having sex.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 33 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I called Daphne, since we hadn’t had anytime to see each other. She and Brady were busy with the new baby and I’d been out of town when she had Mariah. Her boys, Brady Jr and Elliot were in school, so it was just her and I going to the diner for breakfast. Emmett flew over to see Daphne and take Mariah and show her the sights before telling us to sit with them. Everyone but Michael and Ben were there. Brian took Mariah from Emmett, sitting in a chair at the end of the booth, pronouncing her to be as gorgeous as her mother.

 

“Just think, our kids will grow up together.” Daphne tells us, excited.

 

“Hopefully they won’t do what we did to our parents.” I tell her.

 

“I remember my mother said that kids were payback for everything you did to your parents.” Mel tells us.

 

“It’s so hard to not want more kids when you see babies.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“Hey, is that Michael and Ben out there?” Daphne asked, making us all look.

 

“Looks like Mikey’s in trouble.” Brian commented, barely paying attention to anything but Mariah.

 

“Why would Michael be in trouble?” Deb asks, and stares as all the guys seem to not want to say anything. “Boys, what’s going on?” She asks.

 

“Look who’s here with the newest family member.” I tell Deb, trying to distract her, even though I’m curious.

 

“It won’t work.” Daphne whispers to me.

 

“Jen and I already meet Mariah, so skip to telling me why Ben looks pissed at Michael.” Deb tells us.

 

“Brian and I couldn’t tell you, we haven’t seen them. When we left to find out the sex of the boys everything was fine.” I tell her.

 

“Let Mikey and Ben deal with it.” Brian tells her, which means Brian knows something.

 

“What happened at Woody’s last night?” Deb asks.

 

“Deb, Brian was in a meeting at Kinnetik.” I tell her, getting confused when Brian looked guilty.

 

“Nothing Deb!” Emmett tells her, raising his voice.

 

“Then why are Ben and Michael fighting, when they were fine all day yesterday? Then Michael goes to Woody’s with all of you and now they aren’t.” Deb asks, looking at everyone but Mel, Lindsay, Daphne, and me.

 

“Why did you tell me you were going to Kinnetik?” I ask.

 

Brian didn’t answer, just ignored me. Ted must of thought he was saving Brian from me being pissed. “He wasn’t doing anything wrong, Justin.” He tells me.

 

“Like I didn’t know that already, but if he knows why Ben is pissed, then possibly say something so we can calm Ben down.” I tell both him and Ted.

 

“Maybe it was Michael telling all the queens in Woody’s how he’s not getting any?” Kiki suggests.

 

“Why would Michael run around telling people shit like that?” Daphne and Deb ask at the same time. Making them both laugh.

 

“He was just worried that maybe Zen Ben lost that loving feeling.” Brian tells us.

 

“You can explain how Woody’s became Kinnetik later, but it doesn’t explain them arguing out there.” I tell Brian.

 

“Mikey didn’t run around announcing anything, but talking about it in the middle of a bar full of gossipy queens didn’t help.” Brian explains.

 

“He hasn’t learned that saying something in Woody’s is like telling everyone.” Emmett tells us.

 

“But since all of you know that, for once it’s your fault what’s happening out there.” Daphne tells them.

“Our fault, why do you think Michael running his mouth is our fault?” Ted asks her.

 

“Because, when a friend is going to do something stupid you don’t let them announce what they’re doing to everyone. It’s like they didn’t learn from us.” Daphne tells me and them.

 

“What stupid thing did you and Justin do that you kept from me?” Brian asks, trying to distract us.

 

“You know, there were so many things that I couldn’t tell you.” Daphne tells Brian, proving she was still my partner in crime.

 

“Emmett, you know you want to tell us.” I tell him, when he was squirming.

 

“Shit, apparently there’s problems in the bedroom.” Emmett tells us, proving he’s still the gossip queen.

 

“Jesus Michael, you told everyone.” Ben says, turning around and walking out the door.

 

“Fuck, I did what you told me and now we’re arguing about it.” Michael tells Brian, before glaring at Emmett. “Did you have to announce you knew?” Michael asks Emmett.

 

“Sorry, we thought maybe it was the grapevine and somehow Ben heard about it.” Emmett tells Michael.

 

“Ben is going to be pissed if more people know.” Michael groans, laying his head down.

 

“That you aren’t having sex?” Daphne asks, not being able to resist.

 

“Michael, why would you tell anyone about that, it’s no one’s business.” Lindsay tell him.

 

“Because unlike you crazy lesbians, Michael tends to over-communicate.” Brian tells her.

 

“Did he at least tell you why?” Emmett asked, not getting what caused this whole thing.

 

“Not helping Honeycutt.” Brian tells him.

 

“Neither are you, Kinney.” Emmett tells him.

 

“What does it matter now, he’s pissed.” Michael hugs Deb’s waist, pouting.

 

“Who?” I ask Brian.

 

“You get him. Ben tends to stay on topic, come on Ted.” Brian tells me, handing Mariah to Lindsay.

 

“I feel bad that we haven’t been by to see you.” Lindsay tells Daphne, cooing all over Mariah.

 

“I told Justin that Brady and I were being mobbed by our families, so to hold off until the horde left. I was planning to come by and see you guys anyway. Jen told me you found a house.” Daphne tells her, stalling at dealing with Michael.

 

“Make sure Brian invites you to the…” Lindsay stopped when Mel glared.

 

“He already did, but how about leaving Justin to solve the mystery later.” Daphne tells her, warning me to leave it alone.

 

“Let’s order to go, we can go somewhere where there aren’t more people who could get Michael in trouble.” I tell them.

 

We all got up and headed to the loft, since Hunter and Shelby weren’t here right now. Michael told Deb it was just not a conversation you have with your mother. Like there was any conversation Deb didn’t feel she should be include on. Mel told Deb this was one she hoped to never have with Gus one day, and had Deb staying at the diner. Emmett, Daphne, Lindsay, and I went with Michael, while Mel told us she didn’t ever want to have this conversation with the father of her daughter either.

 

“So Ben and you aren’t having sex?” I ask, when we were seated around the dining room table.

 

“It’s not that we aren’t, but just not as much as we were before. We’re down to one time a week, when normally it’s two or three times.” He tells me, and yeah I was sort of having brain freeze; about Michael, sex, and what Brian would do if that happened.

 

“Not everyone fucks like bunnies.” Daphne tells me.

 

“You’re saying you and Brady?” I ask.

 

“It could happen, but then, I keep my man interested.” Daphne jokes.

 

“Mel and I, never mind, we at least try everyday.” Lindsay tells us, giving up when Michael gets the ‘shut her up’ look on his face.

 

“What did Ben say?” Emmett asks.

 

“He said the amount of sex we were having had nothing to do with him not being interested.” Michael tells us.

 

I didn’t really know what to say, for me and Brian it was hard to be in the same room and not want to rip our clothes off. But Michael looked like he didn’t believe Ben either.

 

“I told him I didn’t believe him, which is what caused us to fight all the way to the diner. He sort of said that we can’t all be like you and Brian. Then we walked in, to him hearing Emmett.” I tell him.

 

“Not that I can say I get it, I don’t. It might help to give him a reason to want it more.” I tell him, as Daphne tries not to cringe at the thought of Michael interesting anyone.

 

“I think he might want to switch things around.” Michael tells us.

 

“Lindsay, want to go and let the boys play? Mariah doesn’t need this much of an education.” Daphne tells her, kissing my cheek before leaving with Lindsay “Justin, let the other thing alone, you’ll like it.” Daphne yells, as they go down the stairs.

 

“You will Baby, but for now, Michael needs us.” Emmett tells me.

 

“If he wants you to top, then do it.” I tell him, thinking there’s no real big thing we need to talk about here.

 

“I haven’t really topped enough to be confident that I’ll be any good at it.” He tells me.

 

“Why haven’t you with Ben?” Emmett asks.

 

“Because I like what we do, and he never seemed to have a problem with it.” He tells me.

 

“I like what Brian does too, and he wouldn’t care if I never topped him. It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want to.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just, I never really got many compliments when I did top.” Michael tells us.

 

“It’s not like a tea party, where people sit around complimenting the host.” Emmett tells him.

 

“So no one ever said anything when either of you topped?” Michael asks.

 

“Other than telling me they’d love a repeat, not really.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t even get that.” Michael tells us, looking dejected.

 

“I’m already in hell, might as well ask. Did you do more than lube and stick it?” I ask, not wanting to know, but figuring we had to know what we were working with.

 

“If you mean foreplay, there wasn’t a great deal of it, the guys were tricks.” Michael tells us.

 

“Who never asked for a repeat, that says a lot.” Emmett tells him.

 

“It’s not like with Ben, who takes the time to work us up first.” Michael tells him.

 

“Did you pay attention to the things Ben was doing?” I ask.

 

“Yes, smart ass.” Michael tells me.

 

“I’m only asking because the things guys do to you, are the things they like themselves. Brian likes it when I rim him and fuck him with my fingers. He also likes to be the one bent over his desk while I work him with toys. I don’t just shove my dick in him and cum. I listen to the sounds that tell me he likes what I’m doing, and when I do something he doesn’t, I find what he likes.” I tell him.

 

“Ben likes to tie me up.” He tells me.

 

“Then get some handcuffs and give him the chance to live the fantasies he likes with you. Buy a vibrator and open him up, while going down on him. Shit, you used to practically inspect everything in Brian’s loft, what did you think all the toys were for, a shrine? No, they were there for when Brian wanted more than to be the top in the relationship.” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t have any relationships.” He tells me.

 

“He did with himself on occasion, we all do. I found out they weren’t all there for the tricks or me. There were some that Brian liked when he didn’t trust anyone, but me.” I tell him.

 

“I always knew it.” Emmett laughs.

 

“He still tops from bottom, I just make sure he likes what I put in his bottom.” I smirk.

 

“See, I don’t even get what that means.” Michael tells me.

 

“It means even when I’m the one fucking him, he still wants to control the sex.” I tell him.

 

“I have to go, my shop needs to be open.” Michael tells me, going to the door.

 

“Michael, use what you know about Ben and find the top we all have in us.” I tell him.

 

“Think that helped him?” Emmett asks.

 

“How do you really teach that with words?” I ask Emmett.

 

“The same way Ted and I taught Deb, bring the equipment for show and tell.” Emmett suggests.

 

“Emmett, I’m not topping Brian to show Michael how to do it.” I tell him.

 

“There are toys for everything. No, I don’t mean we get him naked and show him.” He tells me, when I shivered in disgust. “But you know, we show him like they teach sex in school with charts and things.

 

“I don’t know what kind of school you went to Em, but I don’t remember dildo’s and fake asses at my school.” I tease him as we leave.

 

“At least it would be better than the diagram. I might have found a reason not to sleep through the whole thing.” He tells me, giggling.

 

“What does my dear husband have planned for my birthday?” I ask.

 

“Is nothing ever a secret in this group?” He ask.

 

Chapter 34 One small pill, and the world rights itself by starlight

BRIAN


It's days like this where I miss drugs, they make it tolerable when Mikey sticks his foot in it. Ben rolled his eyes when Ted and I came in.


“I'm surprised you didn't make Justin and Emmett check on me.” He tells us, sitting back.


“Justin can deal with Michael’s dramatics better.” I tell him.


“I'm not talking about my sex life with you.” He tells me.


“I'm glad to know you’re saving me from having to hear it.” I tell him. Ted nodded in agreement.


“I’m all for not having to listen to your version of why Michael isn’t getting laid.” Ted tell him.


“Then why are we here?” Ben asks us.


“I came because the family was planning your birthday party with Justin’s and didn’t want it to turn into just Justin’s party because for some reason Mikey pissed you off.” I tell him.


“I don’t want a party.” He tells us.


“Why not?” I ask.


“Why didn’t you?” He asks.


“I celebrated the way I wanted, with my kids and Justin. If I left it up to you guys, from what I heard it would have either been a dinner party, graveyard, or showing me how my life was still ahead of me. Everyone would have had me trying to find another coffin to hide in. We aren’t planning more than the whole family taking a cruise to celebrate that you and Justin are still here and alive. You and Justin never really cared for giant celebrations, and when I mentioned it to Drew he said why not make it a family trip.” I tell him.


“Which would be great if you didn’t have plans to throw Michael overboard for missing you sexing him up.” Ted jokes.


“I don’t understand why he’s worried, we’ve gone many times without even having sex once a week.” Ben tells us more than we needed to know.


“Are you serious?” I ask, not getting it.


“Yes Brian, my relationship is more than what closet to get Michael naked in.” Ben tells us.


I was dumbstruck at the idea of no sex with Justin. Even when we were apart we called a few times a day and helped each other handle things. It wasn’t the greatest way to do it, but we worked with what we had. It probably saved lives.


“While Brian is in shock, what’s really the problem?” Ted asks.


“Nothing.” He tries to convince us. “Fuck. I’m no longer as young as I was, and along with that and HIV, it leads to problems. It’s not Michael, but problems that happen from HIV. I didn’t want Michael to blame himself when my body is to blame.” He tells us, and gets my head in the game again.


“There are ways to deal with it, in fact they can lead to hours of fun.” I tell him.


“Or days of wishing you weren’t the idiot who took them.” Ted mumbles.


“Even if that happened, Benny boy would make Mikey one happy camper.” I tell them.


“I’ll call Emmett, I’m sure he has some.” Ted tells us, ready to go.


“Thanks, that’s all I need, Emmett and everyone else knowing. Isn’t it enough that Michael entertained all of Liberty Avenue?” Ben asks us, making us sit back down, groaning that we chose him.


“Why not just tell Michael?” Ted asks, proving he spends too much time with Blake.


“I would have, if he hadn’t waited until we were in the middle of the sidewalk to bring it up. He waited until we were in front of the diner. I would have told him, but then we walk into hear everyone knows and I was just angry that Michael once again made our business the talk of the diner.” He tells us.


“Daphne blamed us for not stopping Michael from talking.” Ted tells him.


“It’s because, unlike the gang, Daphne and Justin understand that everyone didn’t need to be involved in private matters. Maybe they can teach Michael why they knew when to keep their mouths shut.” Ben tells us, giving me one more person who knows something Justin and Daphne kept to themselves.


“They obviously didn’t keep you out of the loop.” I throw out, to see if I can get it out of him.


“They actually did, I found out by myself and respected Justin enough to leave it alone. The way Justin respects my relationship with Michael.” He tells us.


“I’m sure Justin respects your relationship, but he’ll also try to help Mikey spice it up.” I tell him.


“What?” Ben asks.


“Michael has it in his head that he needs to relight the flame. Something about the routine of your sex life, and no that doesn’t mean I want anymore details than I’ve already heard.” I tell him.


“Why go to Justin and not you?” He ask.


“I can’t teach him, I don’t have the patience for it. Justin tends to be more open to talking about all the things he excels at, but I’m sure even he’ll have problems understanding that topping isn’t natural to everyone.” I tell him.


“You had the patience with Justin, but not Michael?” Ben asks.


“With Justin, he learns the minute anything is presented, your hubby takes days or even weeks to question it all. There are just things you don’t teach your brother.” I tell him.


“If it worries you, I’ll get the prescription for you. It’s nothing that all of us won’t need sooner or later.” Ted tells him.


“Speak for yourselves.” I warn Ted.


“I am, since you’ve already used it yourself.” Ted smirks.


“Justin enjoyed every minute of what we could have done without.” I tell him, getting up to leave this conversation.


JUSTIN


It was the first time Brian and I were showering that I just couldn’t get into it. I blame Michael completely. I had to imagine things I never wanted to. Ben naked - no problem, Michael naked - made me want to hurl. Not because I think Michael wasn’t good looking, but he’s just built wrong.


“Justin, how did my cock not manage to get yours to stand at attention.” Brian asks, after a few minutes of stroking me.


“I just had to talk to Michael about sex, this is what happens.” I tell him, gesturing toward my still soft cock.


Brian took that as a challenge, turning off the shower and walking us naked to the sun room. He stood us in front of the large windows, where anyone could see us if they wanted. My dick started liking the idea, and began rising to the occasion.


“All it would take was one person coming around that corner or the neighbor spy on us.” Brian teases.


He got what he wanted when I stood in front of him full mast. Brian took me in his mouth and caught the drops weeping from my slit, then took me all the way in his mouth before pulling out to lick up the vein and take me in again. I looked around, not seeing anyone, but imagining someone watching us getting off when Brian ran his lubed finger around my rim and inserted it in my ass. He pulled back taking my balls in while working my ass. I wanted more and pushed him back on the chair and sank down on his cock. He held me still while thrusting into me and I grabbed my cock because I needed to cum. Brian fucked me through my orgasm and kept going until he finally came inside my quivering body.


I got up and ran to the shower. “Round two if you think you can handle it.” I yelled, as he chased me.


“I can get some viagra if you need it.” He yelled, still hard.


EMMETT


“That’s all?” I asked Ben, when he came to see me instead of Teddy.


“Yes, but I’m willing to do what Brian and Ted suggests because I hate that I caused Michael to feel insecure.” Ben tells me.


“Honey, when I was doing Jerk-at-Work, we all needed this, and it wasn’t that big a deal.” I tell him going to my cabinet and handing him a bottle. “Next time just ask, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about.” I tell him.


“Thanks.” Ben tells me, stuffing it in his gym bag like contraband.


“Too bad, maybe Michael would have switched up, now that he doesn’t have any reason not to.” I tell him.


“How long does this take to work?” Ben asks.


“In general, thirty minutes. Why?” I ask.


“No reason.” He tells me.


The next day I was sitting with Drew, Teddy, and Blake. Michael strolled in looking as if he was the hero of the hour, and Ben mouthing ‘Thank you’. I shrugged, thinking Brian was right, too much drama that could have been avoided by talking and taking a little blue pill.


LINDSAY


I walked around the my soon to be office, excited and scared of it at the same time. Brian came in and sat on the couch he put in and I sat next to him like we used to.


“I’m working for you.” I tease.


“Justin, not me. This is his baby, all I did was agree it was a good idea.” He tells me, smiling about it.


“Did you think him hiring me was a good idea?” I ask.


“No. But he wanted you, so it really wasn’t my decision. He thinks you’ll be good at this.” He tells me, not bothering to cover how he saw it.


“You don’t think I will?” I ask, trying not to get upset.


“If you apply yourself and don’t treat it like a pet project, of course you will. Lindsay, you’ve started out well at everything you do, but give up at the first hurdle. It’s time to stop accepting failure as your lot in life and show everyone that you can succeed because you wanted it, not because everyone told you couldn’t do it.” He tells me.


“I’m confused, you think I can or can’t?” I ask, listening instead of letting my emotions react to criticism.


“I think if you want anything, nothing would stand in your way. You didn’t let Mel stop me from being Gus’s father, that means you do know how to get what you want. I don’t want you giving up because I wasn’t on board with you working for Justin. I know Justin wouldn’t have picked you if he didn’t believe you could do it.” He tells me, getting up and leaving.


I sat there thinking, I came here to decide how to decorate my office. I changed from the tasteful design in my head to the pictures I plan to have on the walls of the people I would help one day. I wanted to show Brian that Justin was right in choosing me, and to show myself that I didn’t hide from success. I left, deciding instead of buying something Justin wouldn’t care about, it was time to show him that he inspired me.







Chapter 35 by starlight

BRIAN

 

“Why did Ben get to ride with Justin and Emmett?” Michael complained, as the Lindsay and Mel sighed again. This was the fifth time Michael had complained about it.

 

“Justin trying to help by listening to you, wasn’t something I enjoyed later.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to thank them for helping me.” Michael tells me.

 

“I wanted Justin to enjoy his birthday present from me tonight.” I tell him.

 

“What did you get him?” Michael asks.

 

“The same gift he told me he wants every year, Michael. Brian.” Mel snickers.

 

“I at least bought something for the man I love.” Michael tells me.

 

“Justin and I agreed no presents, neither of us waits for special occasions. He said to him it was nicer when there wasn’t a reason.” I tell him.

 

“Plus you're both a pain in the ass to buy for.” Mel snickers.

 

We pulled up to the marina and were directed to the yacht. It definitely would fit everyone, but then, it was bought for a football team. Justin waved from the railing before coming down.

 

“I can officially say you've managed a party I like.” Justin tells me, pulling me down for a kiss.

 

“Justin, can I give you my present now, in case you don't like it.” Lindsay tells him, nervous.

 

Justin walked over to the car as Lindsay hands him a wrapped, flat, square box. He opened it and stared at it for a minute. “You found yourself.” He tells her, showing me the painting.

 

We all looked at it, and it was good. Not something Justin would do, but better than Lindsay’s past attempts. It was Justin, sitting with Gus and reading a story. In the background were abandoned art supplies.

 

“I like the details you put in.” Justin says, as he hugs her.

 

“I wanted to show you that I do see what you view as important, even when it doesn't seem like I do.” She tells him.

 

Justin took it with him, not listening when she said it could stay in the car. “We bought him another gift, Lindsay wanted to do that to show him she's able to see there is more than art in Justin’s world.” Mel tells me.

 

“Justin likes things people take time to make, more than buy.” Jen tells her, as she and Tucker headed towards the boat.

 

“Then why does he buy us all gifts?” Michael asks.

 

“He says it's what you want, and he's already given everyone a painting at one time or another.” I tell him.

 

“What did he get for Ben, he wouldn't tell me?” Michael asks me.

 

“He really outdid himself, I even signed the card.” I smirk, walking off to find Daphne.

 

She was sitting with Mariah. I sat with her, taking Mariah from her. “I have a feeling that one day Mariah and the twins are going to turn our hair gray.” Daphne tells me.

 

“Reminiscing about all the things you and Justin did, that you kept to yourselves?” I ask.

 

“It's killing you he's still the best at keeping a secret.” She laughs.

 

“I’m going to admit, yes, but only in hoping you see how far I've fallen. Next I’ll get Emmett involved, and since you caved so easily, I'll find out along with everyone who sits next to Emmett.” I tell her.

 

“It wasn’t anything that had to do with you and him. He suggested another artist for a show they wanted him for. Brian it’s not something he couldn’t do later, they left the offer open for when he wanted to do it.” She tells me.

 

“Ben seems to know, why is it a secret?” I ask her.

 

“He knew you wouldn’t be happy that he didn’t do the show. He had a reason for it though.” Daphne tells me.

 

“He gave up a show?” I ask.

 

“He did it for Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Explain, and why would he not just tell me?”  I ask.

 

“Ben probably knows only because Sam was invited to speak at Carnegie. Justin found out and suggested Sam.” She tells me.

 

“Why would they take Sam over Justin, they are nothing alike as artists.” I tell her.

 

“Sam wasn’t someone Mel and Lindsay needed around when they just made the decision to move back. Sam being in town wasn’t going to have our son closer to us.” Justin tells me.

 

“I would have paid for a gallery to offer Sam a show.” I tell him.

 

“Why bother when I have galleries willing to do anything for me.” He tells me.

 

“Or Rachel, who still pampers your ass.” Daphne tells on Justin.

 

“If I asked they would have. Rachel just likes the power representing my pampered ass gives her.” Justin tells her.

 

“At least it’s not another Kip.” I kiss Justin’s open mouth. “You two aren’t the only ones who keep secrets.” I walk off whistling.

 

JUSTIN

 

I found Ben sitting by himself reading and sat with him. “Happy Birthday.” I tell him.

 

“You too.” He tells me, putting down his book.

 

“I wanted to give you this from Michael and I. Michael asked me to tell you what I thought of it. Apparently even though he loved this book you never tried to get it published.” I tell him, handing him the book.

 

He opened it looking at the book with his name as the author. “What did you think of what you read?” He asks.

 

“It's a shame to not share it. It might have given the kid who thought it was a gift, a chance to take off the blinders and see the ‘gift’ wasn’t all he believed. “ I tell him.

 

“In the end the kid did it anyway.” Ben tells me.

 

“Is that why you didn't publish it?” I ask.

 

“I wrote it as a way to apologize to Michael for almost ruining our relationship.” He tells me.

 

“Remember the first issue of Rage?” I ask.

 

“How could Brian and I forget it, you and Michael disappeared, skipped out on us, and barely slept.” He laughs.

 

“Michael suggested we do the bashing, then didn’t want to. It was the first time Michael ever worried about my feelings.” I tell him. “At the time I didn’t have anyone who wanted to listen, but pretend it didn’t happen. I'm proud that my personal experience showed people who might have been through something life altering, that they weren’t alone in their world. I think with this book you could give others a way to see that they could have a healthy relationship and know the real gift wasn't achieved for the tragic character.” I tell him.

 

He opened the front of the book and signed it, handing it back to me. “Give this to Michael. Tell him he was my gift.” He tells me.

 

Michael read Ben’s inscription and hugged it, saying it's when he knew Ben was his hero too.

 

BRIAN

 

I really had Mikey believing I didn’t get Justin a present. He gave Ben his own book, and really, that was one only Justin seemed to get. Mel and Lindsay gave Justin and Ben paperwork - which Michael and I agreed should have been done years ago - making Justin and Ben legal guardians of Gus and JR. I waited until the everyone was done crying to give Ben the gift I felt he was owed.

 

“You and the rest of the gang get to go to see the fairies.” I tell him. “Make sure Cupcake wears something to thrill all the boys.” I smirk.

 

“It really helped.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

“I have something for Justin.” Michael interrupts me, handing Justin a comic.

 

Justin flipped through and groaned when he got to Ken and Zephyr doing what he told Michael would sell more. “Great job Mikey.” I tell him.

 

“Hunter reacted the same way. At least I got Justin something.” Mikey tells me.

 

“Nothing that Viagra won’t fix.” Ted whispers to me.

 

“Justin, just close it. I have something for you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, JR and Gus are here.” Mel jokes.

 

“Gus helped so it’s fine Mel.” Emmett assures her.

 

“We agreed Brian.” Justin tells me.

 

“You gave me a present, and in a way this is for both of us.” I tell him, handing him an envelope.

 

Justin opened it and looked up at me. “You bought the cabin?” He asks.

 

“It’s where we made our best decision, and where I want us to spend every anniversary.” I tell him.

 

Justin got up and kissed me, because he only remembers it’s where we got married. I remembered my sons looking over the mountain range together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 36 by starlight

BRIAN


Seeing your children for the first time will always remind you that love can happen in a minute. When Sarah called to tell us that the doctor wanted to go ahead since the boys were full term, Justin and I grabbed Gus, Grandma, and Molly and flew in a day early.


Justin had been on the phone with Hunter most of the flight to clear his schedule a week earlier than planned. Something happened, because Justin stopped talking and was just listening. He hung up, rubbing his face and told me we could talk when no one was around. We went to be with Sarah to get her checked in and bring all the information the hospital needed, so the boys would be able to leave with us when they were released. Jen didn’t ask if we needed time alone, just took off with Gus and Molly.


Justin fell on the couch, and I waited for him to tell me what was wrong. I left Justin and Ted to set up the talent agency, only offering advice when Justin asked. Justin understood business and was there when I started Kinnetik, so he didn’t need me holding his hand.


“Don’t get pissed, and understand that I plan to tell him we won’t represent him.” Justin tells me.


“Who?”


“Ethan. I didn’t know about this, and you can thank Lindsay for explaining to Hunter not to give Ethan an appointment with her.” He tells me.


“It's business Justin. You only turn away clients who aren’t going to be a return on investment. Ethan makes money, it would be stupid to to let personal issues cause you to lose revenue.” I tell him.


“I promised you.” He tells me.


“This isn't breaking that promise, this is you understanding why you opened the talent agency. I know there is nothing Ethan could do to hurt us, because you told me that when you came back to me.” I tell him.


“He has an agent. Why come to Kinnetik, it doesn't make sense?” He asks me.


“He stayed with the agent that thinks being gay could hurt Ethan’s career.” I tell him.


“How do you know?” He asks.


“I wasn’t checking up on you or Ethan. A client invited me to see the symphony and Ethan was there. He saw me and we talked, about you, and how he hated that no one cared that you were gay. I told him I didn’t see why it mattered in his career either. He wasn’t a movie star where people wanted to believe only straight men should be allowed to play a straight character. His target audience is older and not interested in anything but the music.” I tell him.


“Why even talk to him?” Justin asks.


“All I could see was Craig telling you that in order to live in your home you had to hide who you are. I might not think highly of Ethan, but no one should be told they can't be themselves.” I tell him.


“I don’t want him around.” Justin tells me.


“Justin you're not going to be his agent, that's why you hired others. We got past that period and we're stronger, by no longer hiding the things we needed to say to each other. You making money off his career doesn’t break any of the promises we made to each other. If you don't see any advantages to taking him on as a client, then it makes sense to tell him no. I trust you, and us, and know he was just a footnote in our lives.” I tell him.


“Rachel would have all kinds of fun with Ethan.” He smirks.


“Than give Rachel her fun. We'll be busy chasing your spawn.” I tell him.


For me, Ethan wasn’t even worth the jealousy I felt. He was the result of too many disappointments Justin was living with. If Justin had stayed, I wouldn’t have seen the life Justin gave me, or how important he became to me. Justin doesn’t know about the men I hired and fucked, keeping their faces buried in a pillow so I could lie to myself. I used them in order to feel closer to him and threw money at them when they couldn't make me happy.


When I saw Ethan during the symphony, it didn’t even bother me he was there, because Justin never looked back or brought him up. We talked, and all I could see was another form of Craig in Ethan’s agent. So I told him what I really thought all those years ago, that he could've had it all if he stood up and fought for Justin. Like I did when Craig issued the ultimatum. Ethan’s career didn’t ramp up to the levels his agent promised, but he was being recognized for his music. Justin knows the right people, people that would make Ethan’s mediocre career into a high profile career. I'll never like Ethan, but it doesn't mean taking away an opportunity to see any gay man succeeding.


“Why did you never mention that you talked to him?” He asks the next day while we were waiting for our sons to be born.


“I forgot, and was more worried about you having the flu for a month.” I tell him.


“Excuse me, but is there a Justin and Brian here?” A nurse asks.


“That's us.” Justin jumps up and forgets everything, including me. “Sorry.” He whispers kissing me.


“We should be bringing the boys to the nursery in a couple minutes if you want to follow me and meet them.” She tells us, laughing at Justin.


When they were brought in and placed side by side, their heads turned towards each other, as if knowing where the other was. We brought Gus in with us. He was busy counting toes and making faces. I couldn’t stop seeing the parts of Justin in Brent and Jamie.


“Blond pain in the asses.” I whisper in Justin’s ear.


“They have a lot of hair. I thought babies came out bald? Jenny looked like an old man for a long time.” Gus tells us, having the nurses giggling.


I picked up Jamie first, when he protested being alone. He yawned then rooted around looking for food. Definitely his father's son. The nurses were all trying to help Justin when he picked up Brent. The twat still makes women fawn all over him. Me, they handed a bottle, and pointed to a chair. Well, until the male nurse walked in. Not that Justin cared about anything but sitting with Gus and Brent. He knew nothing came between us and snickered every time the man flirted.


“Brian, which one is which?” Justin asks when the other nurses took flirty to change a diaper.


“I have Jamie.” I tell him.


“How do you know?” He asked.


“Because Jamie likes to eat.” I tell him, with authority from all my time with the twins in my dreams.


MICHAEL


Everyone was excited the new babies were coming to join the family. We all went to Woody’s to raise a toast to our family expanding. Lindsay was sitting alone looking upset, and Hunter wouldn’t tell me what was wrong. Lately Lindsay was like a big bundle of happy, but it was like she deflated tonight. I sort of worried like I always do that she might be upset that Brian had a kid that wasn’t hers. I left the guys and sat with her, ready to tell her that she better get with the program and be happy for Brian and Justin.


“This is a celebration, in case you forgot.” I tell her.


“I’m happy.” She barely manages a smile.


“I can tell, please tell me this isn’t about Brian having kids without you.” I tell her.


“What?” She asks distracted.


“Is there something wrong with you and Mel?” I ask.


“No, it’s just something else. Fuck, it’s makes me wonder when I did anything right with Justin and Brian.” She blurts out rubbing her face.


“What did you do, try to go over Justin’s head by telling Brian something?” I ask, as Ted sits down with us.


“Lindsay, it’s not a big deal.” Ted tells her.


“I introduced them, then supported Justin.” She tells Ted, confusing me.


“Justin called me and said it wasn’t a problem if we offered to represent him.” Ted tells her.


“Brian would kill me and then Rachel if that happened.” Lindsay tells him.


“What happened?” I ask, trying to figure out why they are talking but not saying anything.


“Ethan wants to change agencies and called to make an appointment with Rachel.” Ted tells me. “And Lindsay, Brian doesn’t run the talent agency, Justin does, but to relieve you of your worry, Brian said it’s business and that’s what we all need to remember.” He tells both of us.


“Ethan is trying to worm his way back in Justin’s life, Ted.” I tell him.


“If he does, then we don’t represent him.” Lindsay tells us.


“Even if he was, which he isn’t, there is nothing Justin wants from Ethan. I’ve spoken to Ethan about why he wants us and it’s business to him too. Brian and Justin no longer have the problems that gave Ethan a way to break them up. It’s not like why Justin gave up… never mind. I think I’ll raise a toast with Blake.” Ted gets up, hurrying away.


I tried to get up because well, Ted sort of told Blake, who told Emmett and Ben, then of course Ben sort of mentioned it to me. Which means I know, and my mouth will get my ass in trouble.


“Sit down Michael, what did Justin give up?” Lindsay asks, pointing at a chair like Ma.


“Nothing, just something he wasn’t planning to do anyway.” I tell her, cursing, because like Emmett, Lindsay’s relentless when you don’t tell her what she wants to know.


“If it’s nothing then it shouldn’t be a big deal to tell me.” She tells me, waiting.


“He was offered a show before you came back and didn’t do it for a good reason. Can we leave it at that, and deal with the fact that my future has tofu and wheatgrass written all over it.” I prayed with all my might she’d let it go, but no, she had to stare the mom stare and I broke. “Justin found out Sam was coming back to Pittsburgh the same time you and Mel were finally moving back. He called in a favor and they offered the show to Sam instead when Justin promised to show later for them.” I blurted out.


“Why would Justin give up a show?” Lindsay asks.


“He wanted Gus home and didn’t want it to be a reason that you and Mel changed your minds. Do me a favor and don’t say anything about it. They would kill all of us for gossiping when Justin didn’t tell us we could talk about it.” I tell her.


“But don’t you see, now it’s our turn to keep Ethan from doing what Justin was afraid that Sam might do.” She tells me.


“I’ll help, but maybe this time we could actually keep a secret.” I tell her.


“Then don’t tell Ted, Emmett, Blake, Ben or you, you mean.” She says sweetly.









Chapter 37 by starlight

JUSTIN


My world consisted of trying to find a way to sleep. Unlike Brian, who could survive on practically cat naps, I couldn’t. I told everyone that I didn’t want anyone to help. I thought could do it, I had spent my life juggling multiple projects and traveling while doing it, how hard could two babies be? I spent days apologizing to all the parents who did this without anyone to help them. I hated Brian some nights, when he would act like this was easy, But then, for him everything was easy, because he controlled every aspect of his life, me, I tend to need him to organize my life when I forget things. Brian offered to stay home and let me out of the house for a day, but no, I was going to prove I could take care of the twins on my own. I missed Gus, even he could deal with Brent and Jamie when they both needed something at once. I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I don’t excel at being a father. I had just gotten both the boys down for a nap and was considering just collapsing to the floor until the twin alarms went off again, when some asshole rings the doorbell, making both alarms start crying at the break in the silence that got them to sleep. I picked them both up, going down to the door and yelling over the screaming to come in.


Emmett, Hunter, and Ben came in, took one look at me, probably because I wanted to bawl along with my month old sons; then Emmett took Brent from me and Ben took Jamie, while Hunter grabbed my arm and took me to the bedroom, ordering me to get in bed and he’d tell me a bedtime story.


“Fuck off.” I tell him, but there was no strength behind it, I just didn’t have any left to spare.


“Come on, the saga of Ethan and Liberty Avenue just got funnier.” He tells me.


“What did Michael do now?” I yawned, adjusting my pillow.


HUNTER


I got in bed and laid on Brian’s pillow, sniffing, then turned over on my back. “Well your husband decided to see if he could give my dad a heart attack. He took Ethan to lunch at the diner. Which of course had every queen telling another, until they told the real drama queen of Liberty Avenue, who left some preteen to watch his shop, which wasn’t the smartest move, since Dad never locks up the collectables. He arrives at the diner, thinking once again Ethan is trying another way to steal Boy Wonder. He burst through the door and no one was sure what he was expecting to find, maybe Brian and Ethan trying to kick each other’s asses or something, but all he got was the two of them laughing about the twins together. Deb took Dad’s ear and dragged him back to his shop and told him they were talking about the show Ethan was being booked to do, and didn’t need Zephyr saving the day. Then she slapped Dad in the head when the shop door was wide open and the kids inside seemed to think the place was a free for all. An hour later Ethan shows up with a kid and a box of the stuff the kid took as his payment, leaving the rest of the kids to take armfuls of comics. So Zephyr had to admit the mad fiddler saved his collection.” I stopped when I saw Justin was sound asleep.


I had called Ben when Brian looked worried coming into Kinnetik. Brian only gets that look when Justin over exerts himself. I saw it when Justin had three shows in three cities back to back before the kids were born. Justin was trying to act like three nights in crowds didn’t bother him, but not only was he rubbing his hand all night but wincing at the lights that were actually dimmer than normal. Brian finally told me to handle the questions and took Justin to their room. I came in the next morning and Brian held his finger to his lips until he closed the bedroom door.


“How did it go?” He asked, quietly, as if any noise would wake Justin.


“Fine, the only people who asked where Justin was, understood when I said he felt the need to paint and left. Shelby and I gave them each a tour with one of us to answer any questions about the works on the walls, doing what we usually do at the shows. Everything was bid on, except for the one Justin didn’t want any bids on.” I tell him.


“Anyone offer for the one of Ben?” He asks.


“Yeah, and Dad better not make a big deal out of Justin giving it to him when the show is over. A guy offered in the triple digits for it, and was willing to go higher.” I tell him.


“It won’t matter, Justin wanted it for Michael and it will go to Michael.” He tells me.


“Did he feel any better?” I asked.


“He’ll be back to normal when we get home.” He tells me, getting up to check on Justin again.


I left when Brian laid down next to Justin and wrapped himself around Justin’s sleeping form. So seeing the same look but not as stressed, made me ask and Brian said Justin’s going to figure out babies don’t care about sleep. I called Emmett and told him it was time to show Justin why you have a family this big. Ben volunteered when Michael couldn’t get anyone to watch the shop. Deb and Jen were on their way after Deb finished making her Sunshine’s favorites.

An hour later both babies were asleep, Ben started cleaning the mess in the kitchen, Emmett was taking care of the nursery, and he told me to go back to work because Brian wanted to talk to me.


“Why didn’t he call me?” I ask.


“He said he was dealing with lesbian drama.” Emmett tells me.


Brian was standing in the lobby with Rachel and tilted his head toward his and Justin’s office and said for me to wait for him. I passed by Lindsay in the break room in tears and didn’t stop to find out anything. Justin told me to always hear Brian first when there was a problem, it saves time.


“So what has Lindsay in tears?” I ask Brian.


“Justin wanted to talk to you about this first but with the babies and life in general he’s been busy. Before I get into anything, is everything okay at the house?” He asks me.


“It’s fine, Ben and Emmett got Brent and Jamie back to sleep. I put Justin in bed with the story of the comic caper. Ben and Emmett are going to stay until Jen and Deb get there. Hopefully Justin will sleep a few hours, get fed and be ready to greet you when you come in the door. So what do I need to do to calm Lindsay down before she runs and wakes Justin up?” I ask him.


“She’s upset because Justin decided not to promote her to the management position that was opening up because Rachel needs help. I wasn’t as nice as Justin can be about why she wasn’t getting promoted.” He tells me.


“She should be happy that Ethan stuck up for her and asked Justin not to fire her.” I tell him.


“Why shouldn’t we fire Lindsay?” Brian asks, and damn it, maybe Justin didn’t mention this to Brian. “I know about it, I’m asking you to tell me, if you were in Justin’s position would Lindsay still have a job and the reason you would let her keep it. Ethan could have lost a booking because Lindsay didn’t make sure the call went through to Rachel. What was your real opinion on what Justin should have done?” He asks me.


“With the exception of Ethan, Lindsay has been doing her job.” I tell him.


“I didn’t ask for a recommendation, but if you as the owner of a business could have lost revenue from what Lindsay did, what would be your recommendation for her future in your company?” He asks me.


“She’d be on probation, understanding that having the client saving your ass when you tried to screw up a booking for the client, if it happens again, would be met with separation from the company. We want to uphold the image that we are here to help our clients succeed.” I tell him.


“Would you feel that she was qualified to be in charge of the office in Rachel and Justin’s absence?” He asks me.


“Right now, no, but only because she let her personal feeling get in the way.” I tell him.


“Which is what I explained to her, as to why she wasn’t getting the position. Justin had already sat her down and told her he felt she wasn’t ready. She’s upset about the person they want to take the position and who will in essence be her boss.” He tells me.


“I’ll go talk to her, just because you want something, doesn’t always mean you get it.” I tell him.


“Make sure she understand the reason you're being offered the position is because you earned it by understanding what is expected as a representative of Taylor-Kinney Talent.” he says, like he just didn’t shock the shit out of me. “Justin said you’ve outgrown pampering his ass and he knows he can’t hold you back.” Brian tells me.


“Who’s going to take care of Justin?” I ask.


“Well Rachel Jr, there is an artist who Justin wants to mentor, and thinks being his assistant will give them time to work together.” Brian tells me.


“I think I love Justin more than you.” I joke, because Shelby was going to be thrilled.


“You do realize that Lindsay reports to you?” He smirks.

 

“You do realize I’ve already handled her before?” I smirk.

Chapter 38 by starlight

BRIAN


Brent and Jamie seemed to decide on their own when to do things, and it had nothing to do with any book on raising children. When they learned to crawl, it was because Jamie wanted what Gus was eating in front of the TV. Brent learned to walk when I was getting his juice and stopped to answer the phone. I didn’t even realize Brent walked over until I felt him tugging at the sippy cup in my hand. Talking became something of a game with the boys, they did this gibberish thing with each other but wouldn’t say more than Da or Jus, Gus sat with the boys and told them Daddy not Jus. Justin came in talking on the phone with Lindsay about a potential client, blocking the TV. Jamie and Brent seemed to get tired of him blocking the red sock puppet and told Dada to get out of the way. Justin hung up without saying good-bye, thrilled to finally get the title of Dada.


We were planning to spend our first anniversary at the lodge and invited the rest of the gang if they wanted to come. When Justin called Mel, the conversation seemed to be about more than the simple invitation we were extending. When Justin hung up, he looked confused.


“Mel and Lindsay need to talk to Michael, Ben, and us tomorrow.” He tells me.


“About?” I ask, when he hesitates.


“She just said it was important. You don’t think they’re having problems again do you? I mean she sounds happy, but with them you never know.” He tells me.


“As far as they go, it’s happy one minute, breaking up the next.” I tell him, calling Michael to see if they told him more.


“I don’t know, Mel talked to Ben. Probably because they know I’d try to pester them until they told me. Why not call Lindsay and see if she’ll tell you?” Michael suggested.


Instead, we all waited to find out what they wanted. When we got there, Hunter and Shelby were waiting and told us they were going to watch the kids for us. It didn’t help when he didn’t smile or act like we'd like what we were going to hear. It had Michael more worried that the girls planned for the kids to be out of the house. Gus didn’t look happy, but went without saying anything.


“Dad, just remember not to get pissed.” Hunter tells him, taking Brent and Jamie with him.


I looked at the refreshments, and the girls smiling before they dumped the bullshit on us. Mel barely let us sit down before letting it fly at us.


“I was offered a job that means moving again. It’s an opportunity I’ve wanted my entire career. I will be helping create the laws, not just finding ways to use laws already antiquated. And we’ll only be in Washington D.C, it’s not like the last move. Lindsay can travel back and forth with the kids and still work for Justin. We know it means once again the kids are further away, but it's not like any of you can't visit, and the kids can see you anytime you ask.” Mel rushes out.


“How long have you known about this?” Ben asks.


“A few months, but I didn’t get selected until a week ago.” Mel tells him.


“We wanted to tell you, because Mel being asked is a great honor as she will be the only woman in the group. We know you'll understand she can't say no, because it's affects all of us.” Lindsay tells us.


“It’s the opportunity of a lifetime, once again.” Justin tells Lindsay, getting up walking towards the door.


“Justin, I can still work. I can go like I have been, meeting possible clients and bringing them with me when I come to Pittsburgh.” Lindsay tells him.


“Yeah, that was all I was thinking about.” Justin tells her, slamming the door as he left.


“What’s wrong with Justin?” Mel asks.


Michael had stayed quiet through the whole thing, and for once didn’t turn it into a fight. He kissed Ben and told him he wanted to check on Justin. “What did the kids have to say about this?” He asked at the door.


“Naturally they don’t want to leave, but the school one of Mel’s colleagues sends his children to is highly rated. The house the firm is using as an incentive is twice the size of this one. Once we settle in Gus and Jenny will love it.” Lindsay tells him, barely finishing before Michael closed the door.


“Brian this is Mel's chance to change the world. I know you wanted Gus closer, but when you think about it, he won't be that far away.” Lindsay tells me.


“I promise, you and Michael can have Jenny anytime you ask.” Mel tells Ben.


“Aren’t you going to say anything?” Lindsay asks me.


“It's sounds like you and Mel already decided everything, once again. You even baked cookies, but we haven't gotten to the part that sounds like you're waiting for our permission to take the kids.” I tell her.


“Or maybe this time you aren't asking.” Ben tells them.


“It’s also because, with your support, Gus and Jenny will see this can be a good move this time.” Lindsay tells me.


“Only if we did, sorry, but I don't and this time there isn’t a bomb to have Michael saying yes.” Ben tells her.


“Ben, this is something I know you wouldn't turn down if you were asked.” Mel tells him.


“Let me ask you two a question. I'm going to assume Mel will be working long hours, being expected to attend political functions, parties, and generally speaking, furthering her career.  Meanwhile Lindsay is going to be traveling to meet with new talent, helping to get them to sign by flying to Pittsburgh, and working with Hunter and Rachel remotely. Have I got that right?” I ask.


“This isn’t like sitting in my office waiting for clients, so yes, there will also be times when I’m asked to be at out of town engagements to garner support for what I’m doing, but otherwise it’s the same as when you started Kinnetik. There will be times when my career will take me away from the kids, if that’s what you're getting at.” Mel tells me.


“The only difference for me will be not being at the office, but it’s one of the advantages of scouting. Now I’m glad Hunter got the job, because I would have had to quit and ask to go back to scouting again.” Lindsay tells us.


“You're both missing what Brian was trying to say.” Ben tells them.


“I guess, but I don’t see why he brought it all up.” Lindsay tells Ben and me.


“Where in all that do either of you think you can raise two kids?” I ask.


“They’re older now, and there are a lot of programs they can get involved in.” Mel tells us.


“Let me be clearer. Who will be taking care of them? Nothing in all these plans includes the kids, who are going to need someone around to raise them.” I tell them.


“We plan to hire someone. Not only to be there if we can’t be, but also to tutor the kids.” Lindsay tell me.


“No.” Ben tells them.


“I’m fine if you and Mel want this, but Gus stays with me and Justin.” I tell them.


“Brian, even Justin saw it was a great opportunity.” Lindsay tells me, ignoring the slamming door and what Justin was really saying.


“Then once again you weren’t listening to what Justin was saying to you. He did what we wanted him to, but the entire time, Justin rearranged his life because he wanted to be with Gus and have children. All he and I see is, once again, you and Mel make a decision about Gus and Jenny thinking that we all will just go along with it. Gus wants to be around his brothers, not visit on weekends and holidays. Jenny has friends and her fathers here, but a tutor is your answer. I understand why Mel needs to do this and can agree it’s an opportunity I would have a hard time turning down. You compared it to the start of Kinnetik, but I also wasn’t a full time father and I could take off without worrying who was going to take care of the kids. Now I know my children need me to put aside things for them. It’s why I think and Ben will most likely agree with me, that the kids should live with us while you two get to do the things two kids get in the way of. You’ll still be able to see the kids, but they won’t end up feeling like they're in the way of the life you both want.” I tell her.


“Before we talk about this any further, we need to have Jenny and Gus here. Hunter told me what Gus said to you two when you couldn’t decide on the home you planned to live in here, and you both need to honor the promise you made to both him and Jenny to include them on decisions that affect their lives.” Ben tells them.


“Gus overheard us talking about this and hasn’t said a word to us since he found out.” Mel tells us.


“Telling him you’ll include him, then only finding out something that will change his life only because he overheard it, just tells Gus he can’t trust you.” I tell them.


“We both knew the kids wouldn’t be happy about another move. Until last week there wasn’t any reason to think we would need to again. We planned to take both kids down there and show them the new house and the reasons it would be a good thing for us. Now you're telling us you won’t let Gus come with us.” Mel says, getting upset.


“Michael and I won’t agree to let Jenny go either. Like Brian said, where in all the things you two discussed was there room for Jenny and Gus?” Ben asks.


“We would find time for the kids, it’s something we’ve always done.” Lindsay tells him.


“And you can, on weekends and holidays and any time you two want the kids. I just don’t see a tutor making up for the family they could have here.” Ben tells them.


“I agree, and if you think about it you would too. A stranger raising Gus wasn’t something you wanted when he wouldn’t have even remembered it, but now when he’ll resent you for it, you think it’s okay. It will give you the chance to be selfish without hurting the kids. It’s why I wanted to wait before Justin and I had the boys.” I tell them.


Ben and I got up to find where Justin and Michael disappeared to, and once again Deb had her two cubs needing her to soothe their anger with food.


“We told them not with the kids.” Ben tells Michael.


“Do you really think they care what we say?” Justin asks.


“I hope they listened, because the life they both are describing doesn’t have room for the kids.” I tell him, as Hunter brings Brent and Jamie in.


“I don’t want to fight for custody again, but I will if it comes to it.” Michael tells Ben


“I don’t think you’re going to have to. When I took Gus home, Lindsay and Mel stopped him from marching past them and told him your suggestion that he could live here with you and Justin.” Hunter tells us.


For the first time today I let the tension go that I hid better than Michael and Justin.






















Chapter 39 by starlight

BRIAN


It was strange to see the things the twins had been showing me in my dreams. The paintings were all moments of sadness and happiness for us. The fireflies with the twins happened on the day when Gus and Jenny started to feel the loss of Lindsay and Mel. The girls called everyday and visited every chance they could, but Mel’s career required her to be other places more often than not. At first Lindsay still worked for Justin, but eventually came to see him and told him Mel needed a wife beside her when she met with politicians and supporters of the work Mel was doing. So she quit to live the life she’d been raised to live. Which meant the visits slacked off, to what Lindsay convinced me would work when they left for Canada. The whole time before the girls were leaving, Gus and Jenny were only seeing being able to stay with their fathers, not that they weren’t going to have Mel and Lindsay there everyday. Justin and Michael were worried about Jenny and Gus when the girls had to go overseas and wouldn’t be there visiting for a month. They decided to have everyone over at Deb’s like old times for a family gathering, hoping to cheer up Gus and Jenny.


We were driving home after everyone stuffed themselves, when Justin asked me to stop. On the side of the road, in a field, there were hundreds of fireflies, and Justin let the boys and Gus go running in the field while he took pictures of them surrounded. Gus forgot about his mothers, too busy trying to catch a firefly to show Brent and Jamie. The painting became the boys standing next to Gus, excited and hero worshipping Gus’s ability to catch an insect. After the painting was finished, Gus told Justin that he stopped feeling bad for himself, because his mothers were the ones missing out on what having a family was like.


It took Justin a long time to see what the girls did as anything but selfish. He asked me why I never got pissed about them leaving the kids behind.


“They didn’t take Gus. Which meant for once he didn’t have to suffer for their wants and needs. Do I think what they did was selfish, yes. But for once, instead of Gus or Jenny giving up everything, Mel and Lindsay are on the other side of what they did to the kids. They had to sacrifice something for what they wanted, and one day they're going to look around them and find a place that you saved me from, a life of emptiness.” I tell him.


The day on the mountain was a way to celebrate Justin and Ben’s birthdays. What the boys had never let me see was the real reason for the trip, a celebration that Ben was still with us. It started during the winter, Ben caught a cold from Michael and Jenny. As the weeks progressed it kept getting worse, until Ben was no longer responding to any treatment. Michael was losing it, and no one, not even me, could get him to listen. Deb called to say Michael had left the hospital and no one could find him. The gang got together to find him. Hunter called his phone Michael style, and no answer. It was almost a week later when I got a phone call from Ethan. Ethan had been in New York playing with the symphony, and just wanted to let us know, Michael was there, completely shit faced. To say that none of the gang was thrilled that he chose to get drunk instead of stay by Ben’s side was an understatement. Justin called his mother to watch the kids and planned to bring the runaway home. I refused to go, because it pissed me off he could be that selfish when his children and Ben needed him to be the strong one. Instead Justin and I were there to make sure Jenny didn’t blame herself, and to keep Hunter from seeing this as a burden Shelby would have in the future. I only went to kick Hunter’s ass when he said he wasn’t going to have children because he never wanted his children to see this. When Ben opened his eyes and asked where Michael was, I bought the tickets to bring the shit home for Ben.


Ethan was waiting for Justin and I when we arrived, stopping me from charging in there, angry at Michael.


“He scared Brian, the doctors started saying it might be time to make decisions. He didn’t want to sign to end Ben’s life. He knows what he did was wrong, but he’s blaming himself for Ben getting sick in the first place.” Ethan told us.


“He has children who need him, and a husband who woke up. So he needs to be there, not here getting wasted.” I tell Ethan.


“Brian this is Michael, when he can’t handle something he avoids it. He leaves you and Deb to clean up the mess and then him. He needs you to help him through this.” Justin tells me.


Justin invited Ethan to go with him for coffee, leaving me to once again pick Mikey up and make him deal with his fears. I found Michael staring at the ceiling and pushed aside all the scathing words that I wanted to say and laid down next to him as he cried, thinking we were here to tell him Ben died.


“He’s asking where you are.” I tell Michael.


“What?” Michael asks.


“Ben. He managed to beat the doctor's dire prediction and wake up. While you were here replaying me when Justin left me, Ben decided staying alive was worth putting up with being married to you.” I tell him.


Michael didn’t want to waste any time getting back to Ben, only we had to wait for Justin and Ethan to get back. “By the way, thanks for giving Ethan a reason to hang out with Justin.” I joke.


We got back, and like in the past, everyone forgot they were angry at Michael. I let it go when Ben asked me to, saying everyone does stupid things when they think they’ve lost the person they love. Michael nursed Ben until he was healthy again. When Justin and Ben’s birthday rolled around we decided to climb a fucking mountain to show some life journey shit Ben believed in. Only when we got to the top, I saw my sons standing there, overlooking the world below us. The rest of the gang was praying the trip down would be easier. Justin was busy capturing the moment when Ben and Michael reached the top, so I took the picture of what he would paint as part of our journey.  


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=954