The Raging Storm by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Some events lead to trouble in the Sunshine world.

Story #29 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 41252 Read: 31325 Published: Apr 18, 2017 Updated: Apr 18, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



The Raging Storm

Chapter 1


Curtis was huddled in an alley trying to stay out of the freezing wind. He was just a boy, barely fourteen, and small for his age. His lack of a decent meal in over four months didn't help his growth any. All of his worldly goods were on his back, layered in tattered t-shirts, one black hoodie and several sweatshirts. They did little to hide his scrawniness. His boots were one size too small but they kept his feet dry and for now, they had no holes. Curtis thought it fortunate to have found an old pair of gloves that someone had tossed out into the garbage, he assumed because one edge had been frayed. If he had had a needle and thread, Curtis would have mended the gloves. He learned how to sew by watching one of his foster mothers. Curtis, a victim of an antiquated child welfare system, had run away from his latest abusive foster parents. They never bothered to file a police report.

The gloves kept his hands from freezing, frayed edge and all.

For the past two months, Curtis' only companion had been a small cat that he found in another alley, not much different than the one he was hiding in. They would share the meals that they scrounged and then they shared body heat whenever they could. Until, the cat got sick.

Curtis remembered seeing a vet's office one day as he was walking on Liberty Avenue. In the alley was the service entrance. Curtis packed the cat up in a box and left his precious bundle by the service entrance in hopes that the vet would find the cat and take pity on it. The vet did. But Curtis felt obliged to pay and in the only way he knew how. Making use of an old rusting pocket knife, a legacy from his beloved grandfather, Curtis got the money he needed by stealing. He hated doing it; he was taught to live by the 'golden rule,' but Curtis thought he had no other choice. He had to get his cat, his only friend in the world, all better.

"God damn, fucking snow," Brian cursed as he cut down a side street near the clinic, in a rush to see Hunter at the Jason Kemp Clinic. Hunter wanted some advice and whenever he didn't know who to turn to, Hunter would turn to Brian. "I will be eternally grateful when this fucking winter is over," Brian muttered to himself as he paused to re-wrap his scarf around his neck. The wind threatened to take his scarf flying away.

Thinking the well-to-do businessman he had just spotted would be an easy target, Curtis stepped out from his hiding place, knife in his hand.

"Your wallet!" Curtis shouted against the wind.

"What?" Brian shouted back, startled. He thought he could take the small kid, but the knife made him think out his options.

"Your wallet," Curtis repeated.

"Listen, kid, I'll give you my money, but you're not getting my wallet," Brian said quietly as he put his briefcase down to pull his wallet out of his coat pocket.

"Are you shitting me?" Curtis asked, trying to be tough. "I-I have a knife and I'll cut you."

"If you were going to cut me, you would have done it already. So why don't you take the money and your little knife and run along," Brian said as he handed the kid the money. He was tempted to throw the money at the kid but he didn't want to antagonize him any further than he had.

"You crazy, man!" Curtis shouted as he reached for the money, slipping on the ice. As he reached out to catch his balance, his knife hand grazed Brian's wrist.

"Fuck!" Brian shouted, not cut, but it was close. He held his arm close to his body.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Curtis shouted as he ran away. "I'm sorry!"

"Brian! BRIAN!" Hunter yelled from up the road. He had heard the shouts but thought it was the wind howling. It had been howling for most of the day.

"Brian, are you okay?" Hunter asked as he sprinted to the older man then grabbed the briefcase and ushered Brian into the clinic.

"What happened?" Nick asked as he saw Hunter bring Brian inside.

"I'm not sure. Brian, are you hurt?" Hunter asked.

"Only my pride," Brian snarked. Hunter and Nick glared at Brian and he sighed. "I got mugged," Brian mumbled dejectedly. "Some snot nosed little bugger took my money at knifepoint."

"Knifepoint!" Hunter exclaimed. "I'm calling the cops." Hunter picked up the phone as Nick took Brian's gloves and coat and began performing a cursory exam.

"I'm fine," Brian grumbled, batting away Dr. Nick's hands. "And the cops won't give a shit what happens down here."

"They'll be here," Hunter assured him.

"How can you be so sure?" Brian asked.

"The cops love me," Hunter said smugly. Brian arched a brow. "Look, the clinic cleaned up this part of the city."

"You mean, you cleaned up this part of the city, oh Master of Social Work," Brian uttered proudly.

"Whatever. The cops will want a statement. There's been a rash of muggings lately. No one's safe," Hunter said, hoping it wasn't any of his kids involved.

"Brian, let me see your hand," Nick donned a pair of gloves to examine the reddening welt that was forming where the knife grazed Brian's skin. "The skin's not broken but I don't want to take any chances. When was your last tetanus shot?"

"Not sure. Maybe when we built the treehouse for Gus."

"When was that?" Nick asked as he went for his bag that was in a locked cabinet.

"Over ten years ago," Brian answered.

"Then I'm giving you a shot."

"Want me to drop my pants?" Brian sneered.

"Only if you want me to inject you," Hunter replied with a leer.

"Cut it out, both of you," Nick said with a smirk. "You, roll up your sleeve," Nick said as he looked at Brian. "And you, go let the cops in. I think someone's at the door."

Brian and Hunter obeyed.



>>>>>>>>>




"Is there anything else, you can think of Mr. Kinney?" one of the officers asked.

"No, he just kept saying he was sorry like he really regretted having to take my money."

"I can't believe you just didn't turn over the wallet," the older of the two policemen stated. "Must be expensive," the officer muttered, sizing up Brian's designer suit and overcoat.

Brian took out his wallet then opened it. His wallet was stuffed with pictures of Justin, Bree, Gus, Patrick, the whole family including Hunter.

"I don't give a shit about the money, but some of these can't be replaced," Brian said fondly as he perused some of the photos.

"Well, if we get any leads we'll call you. Thank you for such a complete description of the kid's clothes. No wonder each victim described a different guy."

"If there's one thing Brian knows, its clothes," Hunter quipped. "Thanks, guys, for coming over. I'm sure this kid is NOT one of my kids," Hunter said emphatically then showed the cops out.

"Brian, you driving home? Your arm may sting for a while," Nick asked.

"No, I'm meeting Justin at the diner. He's over at Debbie's right now talking to Lacy." Brian began putting on his coat. His chat with Hunter could wait for another day.

"What about? Or is it a state secret?" Hunter asked.

"No secret but keep it under your hat until it's official. Justin wants Lacy to be the new artistic talent behind Rage. I think it's a great idea. Even Mikey's willing to give it a try. The hard part will be convincing Lacy that she's good enough." Hunter nodded in agreement. Lacy still lacked confidence.

"Come on, Big Guy, I'll walk over to the diner with you," Hunter suggested.

"I'll go with you," Nick added. The three bundled up against the cold, locked up then headed for the diner.



>>>>>>>>>



"But Lacy…"

"No, Justin, absolutely not!"

"Why? This is ridiculous. I know you can do it."

Lacy let out a long sigh and collected her thoughts before she answered. She knew this idea was just wrong. It couldn't happen, not in the world in which she lived.

"I'm still an art student. I won't graduate for a couple more years … that's if I graduate at all."

"You'll graduate. I have no doubt of it," Justin said confidently.

"Have you been checking up on me again?"

"It's my duty and … privilege to make sure everything's going well for you at PIFA."

"And what would you do if I was flunking out?" Lacy asked acidly.

Justin started at the comment. "You're not flunking out, are you?" he asked, concern in his voice.

"No, not even close," Lacy smiled. Maybe Justin didn't know as much about what she was doing as he thought he did.

"Then, if you're doing well at school, why not take this on? It's not a huge amount of work. We only put out a couple of issues a year … less if we aren't inspired."

"Rage is very important to a lot of gay people. I wouldn't want to ruin that for them."

"You wouldn't ruin it. You would breathe new life into it."

"Why do you say that?" Lacy asked with a frown.

"I never wanted to draw Rage. It started as a drunken joke, and it … grew."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Michael and I have always had a rather tenuous relationship. We don't get along all that well most of the time," Justin admitted. "We've come to a sort of understanding over the years," he added quickly, when he saw the look on Lacy's face.

"Is he that hard to work with?" Lacy asked with a worried look.

'Shit!' Justin thought. 'Now I've scared her off with my comments about Michael.' He drew in a breath and started again. "Michael's fine. It's just that I kind of came between him and Brian. He's never really forgiven me for that. That has nothing to do with you, so you'll be fine working with him. Really, you will."

"Methinks, you protest too much," Lacy said with a wry grin.

"I really want you to do this," Justin said sincerely.

"But, Rage is your story, you and Brian and Michael. Where do I fit into all that? What can I contribute?"

"You're a good artist, Lacy. Your drawings are so much like the way I draw Rage that I don't think the readers will necessarily notice a change."

Lacy smiled. "I draw like that because you helped me develop that style."

"I may have helped you refine your drawing skills, but you already drew like me in a lot of ways."

"Really? Did I?" Lacy asked with a smile on her face. She had always thought Justin had caused her to draw as she did. Maybe some of it actually came from her, from her own talent.

"You have talent, and you're learning more all the time. It all comes from you," Justin tried to reassure her.

Lacy frowned. She wanted to believe that she was a good artist, but there was always that little seed of fear that someday one of her professors or someone else would find out that she really was just a fraud, that she had no talent at all, that she was just a street kid pretending to be something she wasn't.

"I don't think I can do it. I wouldn't know what to draw," she said sadly.

"Sure you would," Justin said trying to be positive. "Michael and I have the next issue pretty well worked out. I brought some of my preliminary drawings for you to look at. We'll get you to work from what I've already done for this first issue. It will be interesting to see if the readers even notice that there are any variations in the artwork."

"I'm sure they'll notice," Lacy said in her most self-deprecating voice. "They'll probably be screaming at you immediately after Rage is published."

"I doubt that very much," Justin replied. He quickly added, "And then I was thinking that the next issue which will be all yours could be about homeless street kids. You have lots of experience with that." Justin smiled at her.

"Sure, if we include a girl pretending to be a gay male hustler," she said, crinkling up her face at the memory of what she had been.

"Well, the gay part's true," Justin reminded her. He looked thoughtful for a moment. "You know, that could be a great idea. Maybe we should include that. We could make her a new superhero. In this day and age we should have a female hero to complement Rage and Zephyr."

Lacy's eyes opened wide in disbelief. "You're kidding me, right?"

"No, I'm serious. It could be really great. She could develop a superpower after someone attacks her on the streets. We could make her androgynous for a while, like you used to be. Once the readers get to like her, we'll reveal that she's a girl. Oh, this is wonderful."

Lacy could see that Justin was truly sincere in his enthusiasm. It made her feel kind of weird.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked, noting the look on Lacy's face.

"I … I'm not sure I want my life out there for people to read about … and criticize … or feel sorry for me."

"They don't have to know it's true."

"They don't?"

"JT is basically my story, but they only know what I want them to know about it."

"Oh, I thought it was all true."

"Most of it is."

"Care to tell me what's not accurate?" Lacy asked with a mischievous grin.

"If I wanted that to be public knowledge I would have written the comics differently."

"I see," Lacy said thoughtfully. "What do you think this new female superhero might be called?"

Justin smiled. This was a promising development. At least Lacy was showing some positive interest in the project. "It should be something related to you, if we're going to base the character on you."

"Not Lacy," Lacy said quickly. "It has to be something different."

"Sure, okay," Justin agreed quickly. "We can make it anything you want."

"So how did you come up with the other names?"

"We based them on the person's name or some characteristic that they have."

"Brian is full of Rage?" Lacy asked with a twinkle in her eye.

Justin laughed. "I'll tell him you said that. Sometimes, he is though," Justin said softly. "Full of rage, I mean. When things don't go his way, or he sees injustice or innocent people being hurt, he gets very angry. He can be scary when he's really angry."

"He's scary all the time," Lacy chimed in. Brian always seemed so perfect, so handsome, so rich. He scared the shit out of her most of the time.

"I'll tell him you said that too," Justin chuckled. "The day we came up with Rage's name, Brian was on his treadmill while Michael and I were working on the ideas for the comic. Brian had his headphones on listening to music while he ran. The headphones stopped working for some reason. He tried to get them to work, but they wouldn't, so he yanked them off and threw them and the recorder across the loft."

"And Rage was born," Lacy supplied.

"Yep, that was where the name came from."

"But how does that help with a name for … this female superhero?" Lacy asked. She had almost said "for me", but she had to keep this character separate from herself.

"Let's see," Justin mused. "The name should probably resemble you in some way. Lacy is kind of like material or fabric, you know, like lace."

"Oh, so then the superhero would be called cotton or polyester?" Lacy joked.

"Not exactly," Justin laughed. "But Polly-Esther is a possibility." Justin wrote the word down on one of the drawings they had been looking at.

"Hmm, I'm not sure I like that," Lacy said slowly.

"It was just a suggestion. It's not carved in stone. It doesn't even have to be related to fabric," Justin assured her.

"I kind of like the idea of a fabric, but it should be something better than polyester, like … Silk." Lacy smiled and her eyes glowed at the thought.

"I like Silk too, but I have a feeling it's already been done. We need something … unique."

"Burlap?" Lacy said with that wry smile.

Justin chuckled. "Maybe, that's definitely unique."

"No!"

"I was kidding," Justin replied with a grin.

"This is hard." Lacy's brow furrowed in deep thought.

"I never said it would be easy."

Lacy sighed. "What are some other fabrics?" She wrinkled her brow trying to think of other possibilities.

Justin wracked his brain trying to come up with something. He had a feeling that he almost had Lacy's consent and cooperation to do the comic. To seal the deal, he needed a name for this new female superhero, and not just any name, a great name.

"Let's see," Justin said, "Chino, denim, wool."

Lacy shook her head. "I don't like any of those. It should be something like silk, soft but strong."

"Taffeta, chiffon."

"That's better. "I kind of like Chiffon, but it's not a very strong material."

"Isn't there something called sateen?" Justin asked.

"Yes, I think so," Lacy replied. Justin could see the wheels turning. "How about Sateeena with three e's?" Lacy said, writing the word down on the edge of Justin's drawing.

"Hey, I like that," Justin agreed. "It's smooth sounding, and sleek, but potentially very hard to deal with."

"Like me?" Lacy asked.

"You're not hard to deal with. You need more confidence in yourself is all."

"I try to have confidence, but I don't always feel very confident," Lacy admitted.

"You're doing better than you used to. I really think you'll be great with the Rage comic, Lacy. Will you do it?"

Lacy hesitated for a second or two then she extended her hand to Justin. "I want to talk to Michael and set some ground rules for working together, but otherwise I'm in."

Justin smiled and shook her outstretched hand. "Terrific, and you sounded just like Sateeena when you said that."

Lacy couldn't stop smiling.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 2





Brian was unusually quiet as he, Hunter and Nick entered the Liberty Avenue Diner. If Hunter didn't know any better he'd think Brian was sulking. However, we all know Brian Kinney doesn't sulk.

"Brian, honey, why the long face? This awful weather getting to you?" Emmett had swooped into the diner with his usual flair. He had closed up his bistro for the night, and for the next few weeks, left the running of the bistro in the capable hands of his associate, Sean. The Ironmen's season was over. As planned, Emmett and Drew were going to spend some time at their cottage. Drew was going to meet Emmett at the diner, have dinner together then head for the cottage.

"I'm fine, Emmy Lou. Just tired of the snow," Brian mumbled, taking a seat next to Emmett. Nick and Hunter sat opposite the friends. They were joined, shortly by Justin and by Drew.

Justin had finished his talk with Lacy and had made similar plans to meet Brian at the diner, have dinner then go home to Edna's Treasures. Bree was with Patrick and her uncles.

"Hey," Justin greeted his spouse with a warm smile.

"Hey," Brian said quietly as Justin slipped into the booth next to Brian. Drew sat next to Hunter.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked as he looked at Brian then at Hunter and Nick. "What's going on?"

"That's what I want to know," Emmett said loudly. Hunter and Nick looked at Brian then down at the menus in their hands which they knew by heart.

When Brian didn't say anything, Justin put his foot down. "Okay, something is definitely wrong and I want to know what it is!"

"Brian...," Hunter said in his Social Worker voice.

Brian sighed. "Igotmugged," Brian mumbled.

"What!" Justin and Emmett said in unison. That caught the attention of all present.

"I got mugged," Brian said again then shielded the arm that was grazed by the knife.

"And just when were you going to tell me? Are you hurt?" Justin said louder.

"Yeah! What he said!" Emmett cried out.

"Nothing happened, okay and I'm not hurt," Brian grumbled then took a sip of water.

"Brian!" Nick admonished the older man in his very authoritative doctor voice. Brian sighed again.

"Fuck! Does everyone have to know my business," Brian exclaimed angrily.

"No, honey, not everyone just us and we love you. Was it the guy who has been mugging all those people on Liberty? It's been in the papers. I thought maybe we're being targeted," Emmett said reasonably and calmly. He knew Brian hated talking about himself.

"I don't think this was a hate crime. He's just a kid and he said he was sorry."

"Yeah, just how sorry is he? He nearly cut you with his knife," Nick snarked, driving home the point.

Emmett gasped.

Justin didn't know whether to cry or run out to hunt down the mugger himself. "A knife! Where were the cops? These muggings have been in all the papers. Or don't they give a shit about a few fags who get robbed!" Justin was almost shrieking.

Just then Carl came in to pick up Debbie after her shift. They both heard Justin and saw the angry glares the whole diner threw their way.

"What, do I have egg on my face?" Carl asked his wife as they walked over to the boys' table.

"Sunshine," Brian began with a firm voice and for the benefit of everyone listening. "I'm fine. I wasn't hurt. The kid wanted my wallet; I refused to give it to him. I gave him the money. When he reached out to take it, the kid slipped and he grazed my arm with his knife. He was a kid. A skinny little kid, cold, sickly and wearing what looked like everything he had in his possession. Hunter heard the noise and came running."

Brian's soothing voice calmed his worried and angry spouse. Then Liberty Avenue got to witness a tender moment between the legendary Brian and Justin. Taking Justin's hand in his, Brian kissed Justin's wedding ring and then his temple. Justin began to relax.

"Son, that was a foolish thing to do. You should have just handed over your wallet," Carl said in a very fatherly, retired cop tone.

"Sweetheart, you're more important than a piece of leather," Debbie reiterated.

Brian took out his wallet, and all the family photos tumbled out including the one of Jack Kinney holding baby Gus. It was Brian's only copy. Brian always meant to make copies but never did.

"Oh honey," Emmett said as his lower lip quivered. He understood. After a minute and being sufficiently recovered, Emmett asked, "Did you notify the police?"

Brian nodded. "Hunter called them," Brian confirmed.

"Who answered the call?" Carl inquired.

"Sergeant McGinty and Officer Rodgers," Hunter replied.

"I remember McGinty when he was a rookie; he's a good man," Carl noted. "I'll call him and see what he has. Brian, are you sure you weren't hurt? You may need a doctor."

"I saw a doctor. Doctor Nick looked at my boo-boo and kissed it to make it all better," Brian said glibly. Just then all eyes turned to Nick. Swallowing a mouthful of his burger, Nick gave the family the run down.

"I guess HIPAA means nothing to this family," Nick murmured then went on with his explanation. "The knife just grazed the surface of his skin. It raised a nice welt but did not cut Brian. I cleaned the area, applied an antibiotic ointment then placed a dressing over it to keep it clean and so that the ointment doesn't get all over everything. I also gave him a tetanus shot."

"Ooo, did you get to see Brian's ass?" Emmett asked with a smile, lightening up the mood. Several patrons laughed.

"If Brian was going to drop his pants, then I would have given him the shot. He got it in his arm," Hunter said with disappointment. Debbie gave him a cuff to the back of his head. More laughter was heard.

"Carl, take your wife home," Brian commanded, quickly changing the subject.

"Good idea, looks like it's going to snow again. Brian, if I hear anything I'll call you. Let's go home, honey." Carl helped Debbie with her coat.

"You behave yourself," Debbie said in her worried mother voice as she pointed her finger at Brian. Then she gave Justin a kiss.

"I'm trusting you to take care of him," Debbie reprimanded Justin. Justin nodded as he leaned into Brian.

The gang finished their dinners then went their separate ways to home.


>>>>>>>>>


"Raph, the front's all locked up. You ready to hit the road?" Hector asked his partner in life and in business.

"Yeah, I am ready to go. Which vet tech is staying overnight?" Raphael, the vet, asked his partner and assistant.

"Samantha."

"Will she be okay on her own?"

"Security cameras and alarms are all activated. The fridge is stocked and there's plenty of coffee. And she's not alone," Hector explained.

"Oh?"

"Stop it; her older brother is hanging out with her. He's a cop, off duty, and he brought his own cot. So stop worrying or assuming," Hector smirked.

"Yes, mother. Let's go home."

Raph and Hector bid goodnight to Samantha and her brother then exited the clinic via the service entrance. A small envelope fell from the door jamb.

"Another donation?" Hector asked.

"I'm afraid so," Raph answered.

"Babe, we have to go to the police."

"I agree. I can't keep putting this off. I'll call Carl Horvath in the morning; he'll know what to do."

"Good idea. Let's go home."

"Best idea I've heard all day."

Raphael and Hector went home.



>>>>>>>>>



Justin waited until they were in the car heading for Edna's Treasures. Then he let fly.

"How could you not call me when you got mugged?" he demanded.

"I wasn't hurt, so I didn't want to worry you."

"He fucking had a knife, Brian! You've got to be more careful."

Brian sighed. "I'm not a baby."

"And you're not Rage," Justin reminded him.

"I thought I was," Brian smirked.

"You're my Rage, but your superpowers do not include deflecting knives." Then Justin added, "Your superpowers are better suited to the bedroom." Justin's voice had become husky.

Brian gave Justin that look and stepped down hard on the accelerator.



>>>>>>>>>



Debbie walked into her house carrying a couple of bags of groceries. She dropped them on the kitchen table. Carl followed her carrying several more.

"Where does all this food go?" Carl asked as he placed his bags next to the ones she had carried in.

"We eat it," Debbie replied as she unzipped her coat and threw it on the back of one of the kitchen chairs.

"We can't possibly eat all this," Carl contradicted her.

"Well, we eat some, and then there's the things I make for Michael and Hunter and JR, and Lacy eats some of it, and…"

"Did I hear my name?" Lacy asked coming down the stairs. She smiled at the sight of all the food, and Carl and Debbie working together to put it away.

"You sure did," Debbie replied. "Come give us a hand and we'll be done in a fucking jiffy."

When they had everything safely stowed in the cupboards or the fridge, Debbie put on the kettle for a cup of tea.

"Care to join me?" she asked Lacy.

"Yeah, I'd like to." She looked at Carl wishing he would go do some manly thing so that she could talk to Debbie privately.

Debbie saw the look. "Don't you need to get ready for work?" she asked Carl.

"Nah, not yet."

"I thought you wanted to take a shower," Debbie said forcefully and jerked her head to indicate that Carl should amscray.

"Oh, yeah, right," Carl said. "I'll go up and do that right now." He quickly headed for the stairs.

Lacy chuckled. "I hope he doesn't prune up too much."

Debbie giggled. "Me too."

"I really wanted to talk to you about something, Debbie. I respect your opinion."

"Jeez, it must be something major if you start off with a compliment like that."

Lacy laughed. "I meant it."

"Okay, kiddo, what's up?" she asked as she made two mugs of tea.

Lacy sat down at the table and waited for Debbie to join her. She was wondering just how much she should tell Debbie. After all, Michael was her son. When Debbie finished making the tea, she set one mug in front of Lacy and then sat down in the chair opposite her.

Lacy cleared her throat. She knew there was no point beating around the bush where Debbie was concerned. "Justin stopped by earlier," she started.

"Did he now?"

"Yeah, he wanted to make me an offer."

"One that you can't refuse?" Debbie asked. She took a careful sip of her hot tea.

"Do you know what he was doing here?" Lacy asked with a frown. Debbie sounded like she was aware of what Justin had told her.

"No, but I met him at the diner. I guess he came in after he'd been here. By the way, Brian got mugged."

"Mugged? Really?" Debbie nodded. "Holy shit! Is he all right?"

"Yeah, just some kid with a knife."

"A knife? Wow! That makes what, about four muggings on Liberty lately?"

"You be careful out there," Debbie admonished. "Anyway, Brian's all right. He gave the kid some money and then called the cops."

"Is Carl involved?"

"He's going to check it out."

"I'm glad Brian wasn't hurt."

"We all are, Lacy, we all are. Now tell me what's up with you and Justin and this irresistible offer."

"He wants me to draw Rage. He's too busy with his own art to keep doing it," Lacy blurted out.

"What? Does Michael know? He'll be so upset."

"Well, thanks a lot," Lacy retorted. She felt like Debbie had just stabbed her through the heart.

"I meant that he doesn't handle change easily. It will be hard for him to work with someone knew," Debbie said, trying to smooth over the harshness of her previous words.

"From what I hear, he's pretty hard to work with anyway," Lacy said icily.

"He is not," Debbie assured her. "He's a sweet man. Really, he is, Lacy. I just know that he'll have trouble with this at first."

"Justin said he had discussed backing out of the comic with Michael," Lacy informed the older woman.

"And Michael was okay with the idea?"

"Justin said he was willing to give it a try," Lacy said slowly.

"Then what's the problem?" Debbie asked sipping more of her tea.

"I … I'm not sure I can do it." Lacy looked like she wanted to cry.

"Justin must think you can do it or he wouldn't have asked you. I think you'll like working with Michael once you get started. You have nothing to worry about." Debbie reached across the table and squeezed Lacy's hand.

Lacy gave her a weak smile. "I guess you know Michael better than I do. I hope you're right."

"I know I'm right," Debbie said confidently.



>>>>>>>>>



Brian and Justin were into it hot and heavy. Brian was plowing the sweet ass that he claimed as his and his alone. Justin was moaning in ecstasy beneath him. Everything was perfect … almost.

If he shut his eyes, Brian could still the scared face of his mugger. He could still feel the force of the obviously dull blade rake across his hand. He could hear the cries of, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry!"

"Brian, focus," Justin said from far away.

Brian opened his eyes and looked down at Justin who was on all fours and craning his neck to look at Brian's face over his shoulder. "Shit," Brian whispered.

"Come on; we're almost there," Justin goaded. He tightened his anal muscles around Brian's cock, and the older man groaned from somewhere deep inside.

"Fuck!" Brian cried.

"That's what I'm trying to get you to do," Justin stated as he pushed back taking all of Brian's dick that he could force into himself.

That seemed to do the trick. Brian drove home again and again bringing them both to the edge. With a tug on Justin's cock and a call of his lover's name, Brian plunged them off the cliff and they fell into the delicious whirlwind of their orgasms.

Some minutes later when they could breathe again, Justin rolled over and laid his head on Brian's chest. "What happened?" he asked.

Brian knew immediately what Justin was referring to. "I was thinking about the kid who mugged me."

"Maybe you should talk to someone about it," Justin suggested gently.

"I'm fine," Brian assured him. "I just can't get his scared face out of my head. He must be desperate to have mugged me. He kept saying he was sorry."

"That's really weird."

"I know. It was like he didn't have any other choice."

"Maybe he doesn't," Justin said thoughtfully. "I wonder why he doesn't go to the clinic or something."

"He might be too young," Brian replied.

"Too young? What do you mean?"

"He looked about fourteen, certainly no more than fifteen. At that age they'll put him into care."

"You mean like a foster home?"

"Yeah."

"Wouldn't that be better?" Justin asked.

"Depends on the foster home. Some of them are horrible beyond belief."

"But … they're supposed to protect kids, aren't they?" Justin asked with a frown.

"Supposed to, being the operative word. Many of them are fine, but I know there are some very bad foster situations."

Justin sighed. "Sometimes the world is a shitty place."

"You got that right."

"But at least you're okay. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you," Justin said softly as he kissed along Brian's collarbone and across his chest, giving special attention to Brian's nipples.

"God, you have the best mouth," Brian groaned.

"I know," Justin whispered. "I'm going to make you forget all about the mugging."

"And I know you can do it too," Brian smiled, as he gave himself over to Justin's many talents.



>>>>>>>>>



Curtis hurried down the alley behind the diner. He knew there were often cardboard boxes thrown out from supplies that had been delivered. He hoped there were some tonight. The wind was bitterly cold and his feet and hands felt like they were blocks of ice. He needed something to protect him from the wind or he surely wouldn't survive the night.

At the end of the alley he saw a large cardboard box. He smiled; that would work very nicely. He pulled it against the side of the dumpster. Then he noticed there were a couple of smaller boxes nearby. He grabbed those and tore them apart, flattening them out and fitting them into the larger box. He now had three layers of cardboard that he could sleep on. That would protect him somewhat from the cold asphalt that was under the box.

Curtis surveyed the alley. The space between the dumpster and the building at the back was just about big enough to pull the cardboard box into. He crawled in and pulled the box after him. He managed to get it wedged into the space then he crawled inside it. It felt so much warmer than being out in the wind.

He let out a soft sigh. At least he might survive the night. He pulled out from his pocket half a donut that he had retrieved from a trash can where he had seen some guy throw it. He wished he had something hot to drink with it, but at least it was food. He started nibbling on the sweet pastry. It wasn't bad.

His mind wandered to his cat. He hoped Alfred, as he had named the cat in his head, was doing all right at the vet's. Curtis missed him so much, but he was sure the cat was better off where he was now than he would be if he stayed with Curtis. He sighed again. In a day or two he would have to try to get some more money, so that the vet wouldn't put his cat down. He prayed that by leaving the packets of money, the vet would take care of Alfred and see that nothing bad happened to him.

Curtis hated having to rob people to get the money, but what else could he do? He'd have to be more careful though. The guy he robbed today … he had been so stupid, refusing to give up his wallet. At least he had got the money off the guy, but he almost cut him. He didn't want to hurt anybody. He just had to protect Alfred, exactly the way that he wished someone would protect him.

Curtis finished his piece of donut and curled up in his cardboard box. He needed to sleep. The morning would come soon enough, and he'd have to find someone else to mug.



Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 3





"Nick?" The young doctor turned to see who called out his name. "Raphael Angles," Raph said as he extended his arm to shake Nick's hand. "We met over Christmas."

Nick smiled; he remembered the handsome vet and his partner. And that they looked a little awkward at first at Edna's Treasures, but by the end of the two and a half day 'Christmas dinner' Raph and Hector had become part of the family.

"Of course I remember. I also remember all the shoveling. I think I'm very happy that I live in an apartment and the management company handles the snow clearance. What brings you to the diner? I don't think I've ever seen you in here. Your clinic's on the other end of Liberty, right?"

"Yes, I'm closer to Emmett's Place. I was hoping to see Carl Horvath or maybe Debbie. I heard she still works here."

"Yeah, we can't get her to retire. She keeps reminding us that her 'kids' need her. I guess it's true. Can I help?"

"I'm not sure. We have a little mystery going on at the clinic and I was hoping to speak with Carl to get his input before going to the cops."

"Mystery, huh? I love a good mystery but if it's Carl you want, he's probably home, asleep. He's the manager at Babylon."

"Babylon! The Babylon? What is an old straight cop doing running the hottest gay nightclub in Pittsburgh?"

"As it goes, when Carl retired from the force, he wanted something to do with himself."

"Being married to Debbie isn't enough?" The two doctors laughed.

"Brian made him an offer he couldn't refuse. And frankly, between Brian and Carl, Babylon is the greatest and the safest place gays can go to hang loose. Debbie's off today but here's their number. Call after twelve; that should be safe."

"Thanks, I appreciate the help." Raph ordered a coffee to go and a lemon bar then left for the clinic.



*****



The occupants of Edna's Treasures were sticking close to home. Even though the weather was relatively clear in the city, a snow squall had stalled not too far from Bridgeton. The edge of the squall was dumping more snow on Edna's Treasures. The kids had a snow day, and Bobby wasn't needed in court, so chose to work from home. John and Brian had nothing pressing. With the youngsters having fun in Patrick's room, Brian and Justin took advantage. They were indulging in a little cuddle time in their room before Justin went back to his easel.

"Justin there is no need for you to baby me. I'm not hurt or sick."

"Maybe I want to baby you. Maybe I want to make sure that I'm the only one who gets to kiss all your boo-boos to make them better," Justin responded in a sultry whisper.

"Ooooh, now I see," Brian mused with a raise of an eyebrow. "You're checking on my boo-boo." Justin nodded with a broad smile. "And does that include everywhere else I might have an ache or a pain?" Brian purred seductively.

"I intend to thoroughly examine every inch of your body," Justin murmured then captured his lover's lips in a deep kiss. After Justin released Brian's lips, he trailed tender kisses down Brian's body stopping briefly at the fading welt on his arm.

"I love you, Brian," Justin whispered as he gently kissed the injured area.

"Love you too, Sunshine," Brian said as he gave over his body to the younger man who was expertly loving him.



*****



"Raph, can you meet me at the police station, say, in about an hour. Bring the 'donations' and any other records such as the dates when you received the money. It may help." Carl was having brunch with Debbie when they got the call from Raph.

"Okay, see you then," Raph confirmed then began to organize his notes and the packets of the 'donations'.



*****



"Danny?" Michael was behind the counter at The Comic Book Store. Danny was stocking the shelves with the latest Spiderman issue.

"Yes, Michael."

"How do you feel about Lacy replacing Justin as the artist for Rage?" Michael was whispering even though there wasn't anyone in the store at the moment.

"Michael, I remember her drawings and paintings from the time of the fundraiser. There was a reason they were put near Justin's Rage pictures. Lacy started out imitating Justin's style until she developed one of her own."

"But shouldn't she have developed her style first?"

"Michael, all artists start out imitating someone else. You ask Justin. I'm sure he had to study the classics in school and they certainly influenced his "Old Masters" show. Lacy views Justin as a hero. So it's not surprising she emulates his art. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery. And I should know."

"What do you mean?" Michael asked not truly understanding the point.

"Michael, my boy, I'm a drag queen. The first time I ever slipped on my size twelve pumps, I began my career based on imitation. And I tried to do each of the women I imitated justice. Divina was my triumph."

"But I don't remember an actress or star with that name."

"No, you wouldn't because Divina was based on my mother." Danny smiled fondly at the memory. His mother was a cross between Donna Reed and Mae West. She was feisty and down to earth. She didn't quite understand the gay thing nor the drag queen thing, but she loved her son and that was all Danny needed to know.

"Really?" Michael was intrigued.

"Really. I have pictures of her and my father, if you're ever interested in seeing them. You and Ben could come to dinner one night," Danny said hopefully.

"I'd like that," Michael affirmed. "So you think I should give Lacy a chance."

"I think, she's the best man for the job," Danny said with a little tongue in cheek of his own. The door jingled, signaling a customer. Michael temporarily tabled the conversation.



*****



"Daddy, can we make a snowman?" Bree asked as she ate her toast and peanut butter.

"I don't know, Bree. It's snowing pretty hard out there," Justin replied.

"Please, Dada, come with me?"

Brian looked at Justin. They smiled at each other. Their daughter had learned the fine art of manipulation, playing one against the other. Justin nodded at Brian.

"We'll see if it clears off this afternoon. If it does maybe we could make a snow fort," Brian suggested. "All of us could," Brian added pointedly.

"What's a snow fort?" Bree asked.

"You don't know?" Justin asked. "No one at school has made one in the playground?"

Bree frowned. "Don't know. What's a snow fort?" she repeated.

"Your education is sadly lacking, young lady," Brian said with a grin. "We'll hopefully rectify that this afternoon."

"What's pectrify?"

"Rectify," Brian said with a chuckle. "It's means to make something right, to fix it."

"Can you pectrify the light in my bathroom? It don't work," Bree stated.

Brian and Justin chuckled.

"It's rectify, sweetheart," Justin repeated.

"Rec-ti-fy," Bree parroted making sure she got each syllable right.

"That's correct, Squirt," Brian said. "Now how be we go fix that pesky light."

"'Kay, Dada," Bree replied, sliding down from her chair and holding out her hand for her Dada to take it.

Justin smiled as he watched them walk out of the kitchen hand in hand.



*****



Curtis awoke with a start. He always did, because he was never sure what he'd find when he woke up or what might have caused him to awaken.

This morning it was someone slamming the lid of the dumpster, he decided. He stayed quiet hoping no one would disturb his little nest of boxes. He didn't like being found by someone trying to clean up the alley. He usually had to run, and his feet were quite numb from the cold. It was always better to start slowly than try to run first thing.

Curtis listened until all was silent outside his box. He slowly tipped the box over and looked around. His fingers felt slow and stiff inside the old gloves. He flexed them several times hoping to get more feeling back.

"Why the fuck couldn't I have run away in the summer?" he muttered as he tried to stand up.

He staggered a bit and fell against the dumpster which helped to keep him upright. He slapped his thighs with his hands trying to get feeling back into his extremities. He'd give anything for a hot bath and a nice warm bed … a hot meal. His stomach rumbled mightily. That piece of donut from the night before hadn't stayed with him long.

With fingers that refused to cooperate, Curtis fished in his pockets. He had kept back a few dollars of what he stole from that good looking man. Maybe it was time to spend it on something hot to eat. Curtis looked at the back door of the diner. He wondered if they'd kick him out if he went inside to eat. He knew he smelled pretty rank, but he was really hungry. He decided to take a chance.

He walked down the alley and peered around the corner of the building. Nobody suspicious or threatening seemed to be around. He looked up at the sign that said Liberty Diner. Maybe it would be worth a try. After all, he had accepted the hospitality of their cardboard boxes all night.

He straightened his shoulders and headed for the door.

As Curtis turned the corner from the alley to go into the diner, Lacy was hurrying down the street to report for her shift. Curtis froze. Lacy recognized a kindred spirit. Curtis almost cried with frustration and fear and he was about to run.

"Wait," Lacy pleaded. The androgynous person looked harmless enough to Curtis so he stopped. "You're hungry and cold?"

Curtis' eyes grew large.

"Meet me at the kitchen door. It's around the side in the alley. Do you know where it is?"

Curtis nodded.

"Just wait there. It'll be all right. I promise. Go!"

Curtis scurried back into the alley. Lacy went into the diner. The breakfast rush was over. She bussed a few tables then began assembling what would look like a feast to a street kid. If the boy rationed himself, the food could last for days. The container of chicken was large enough to last the whole day just by itself.

Taking the food into the break room, Lacy looked around for something to pack it all in. Finding an old backpack that had a missing strap, Lacy packed up several sandwiches, fruit, small boxes of cereal and a few lemon bars. Opening her locker, Lacy took out her spare pair of gloves, a scarf and a raincoat that she kept there for emergencies. Then she carefully made her way to the kitchen door.

"Kid. Kid! You out here?" Lacy called out. Curtis stepped out from behind the dumpster. "Here, put this on," Lacy instructed.

Curtis slipped the raincoat over his other clothes. Lacy was so much taller than Curtis so the raincoat almost reached the ground. It wasn't very thick but it shielded the boy from the wind. He wrapped the scarf around his head and neck, tying it tightly so that it covered his almost frozen ears. He shoved the extra pair of gloves into the raincoat pocket.

As Curtis reached for the backpack, he questioned his mysterious benefactor, "Why?"

"Why am I helping you?" Curtis nodded. "Because a few years ago, I was on the street, just like you. I was scared, hungry and whoring myself for a meal or a place to sleep. Someone very good and kind helped me. He can help you too."

"No! No, I can't. If they catch me, they'll just send me back. I'd rather die than go back there."

"They hurt you, didn't they?"

Curtis nodded, tears stinging his eyes.

"I was hurt too. I gotta get back. Meet me here at four. I'll take you to Hunter. He'll know what to do."

"Hunter? The Hunter-man?" Curtis used the nickname Hunter had earned from the street kids he saved. "I thought he only helped faggots." Lacy ignored the insult.

"Hunter helps all kids and anyone else who needs him. Just be here at four." Lacy thought she heard Curtis say yes. "Oh, there's chicken soup in there. Eat that first," Lacy said as she retreated back into the kitchen. Lacy wrote down everything she had taken on one of her dummy checks then tallied the bill. She'd have to use all her tips for the day to pay for it.



*****



"Daddy, I'm cold, Daddy. Can we go inside now and you make us some hot cocoa?" Bree asked her Daddy Justin. He made the best hot cocoa.

The snow squall had eased up for a while, so Brian and Justin bundled up their daughter and Patrick and went outside to build the snow fort. It was rather impressive. One fine and large drift behind the fort had shielded them from the wind. However, now the wind had changed direction and the snow was beginning to fall again.

"Of course, baby. Guys, Bree's cold. We're going in," Justin said to Brian and Patrick who were stocking the fort with snowballs. Justin picked up Bree to shield her from the wind and went back to the house.

Not paying attention to the weather, Brian and Patrick worked on. In about fifteen minutes, Beau showed up at the fort barking loudly.

"Hey Beau!" Patrick greeted his dog with a pat to the large head. Beau latched onto the front of Patrick's thick coat and began to pull him toward the cottage. "Uncle Bri!" Patrick cried out. Brian popped his head up then stepped from the fort to witness Beau's 'rescue'.

"Okay, Beau, I get it. Time to bring the boy inside," Brian said as he caught up to them. Within minutes, Beau had his charges safe and warm within the walls of Edna's Treasures.



*****



"Thank you, Daddy," Bree said as Justin placed her mug of cocoa in front of her at the table.

Justin had changed Bree out of her snowsuit into her warm pink footie pajamas. It was a bit early for pajamas but Bree didn't mind. Her toes were warm and so was her belly. Justin made a large pot of cocoa so that Brian and Patrick could have some too. John and Bobby were preparing the family dinner.

Beau sat on his cushion in his corner of the porch. All was as it should be in his home.



*****



Lacy hung around the kitchen door of the diner waiting for Curtis to show up. At least she hoped that the kid would show up. The cook was beginning to eye Lacy suspiciously and she thanked whatever gods were looking down on her that Debbie wasn't working. Lacy would have gotten the third degree if Deb had been there. She waited for about thirty minutes. When Curtis didn't show, Lacy decided to go home.

Curtis watched Lacy from across the street. He saw her walk away. He was surprised that she actually kept her promise, let alone waited a half hour for him. He felt guilty for not going to her but he had to be sure. The weather was turning bitter again; he had to find shelter or freeze to death. Curtis finished the soup Lacy had given him earlier. The rest of the food he was saving. The freezing weather would keep the sandwiches from going bad. He needed to find a place to spend the night.

"Hey kid, you need a warm place to stay?" someone called out from behind him. Curtis was poised to run.

"I'm Hunter. Sometimes the kids call me the Hunter-man. I'm not a cop; I'm a counselor. I try to help kids like you."

"What do you know about kids like me?" Curtis said angrily. Lacy had made the same claim. She looked like she could have told him the truth. She had that look in her eyes, the scared look like someone was going to discover who and what she was and turn her in. Hunter didn't have that look...anymore.

"Because by the time I was fifteen, my mother pimped me out. I lived on the streets for years. I hustled, I stole, I slept in boxes when I could find them."

Hunter paused to let that bit of info sink in. Choosing his words carefully, Hunter then continued.

"I run the drop-in center a few blocks from here. It's warm, clean and dry. I have showers with good strong soap. Clean clothes if you want them; a washer and dryer if you want to save the clothes on your back. I might even have boots your size. You're welcome to them. And to a bed for as long as you need it."

"You'll turn me in!" Curtis could feel the tears sting his face.

"No I won't."

"But I did some bad things."

"How bad?"

"I-I stole money," Curtis said, crying now.

"We'll work that out. Let's just get you out of the cold first, okay?" Curtis nodded, grateful his nightmare was almost over.

Hunter cautiously approached the boy, slowly like someone approaching a hurt animal.

"Her name is Lacy," Hunter said softly using his calm Social Worker voice.

"Whose name?"

"The girl who gave you the raincoat. Her name is Lacy."

"He's a girl?" Curtis hadn't been sure.

"Yeah, but don't let her know I told you," Hunter chuckled. Lacy still kept up the mystique and on Liberty, it fit. "Come on, let's get you warm."

"And clean?" Curtis asked hopefully.

"And clean," Hunter replied, leading his latest lost boy to the Jason Kemp Center.


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 4





"Raph, Hector, thank you for coming," Carl greeted the men as they came into the police station. He then introduced the vet and his assistant to Sergeant McGinty and Officer Rodgers. Not very confident in the police and their ability to keep prejudice out of the investigation, Raph and Hector were hesitant. Carl read the signs and tried to put them at ease.

Raph took out his notes and the file on the cat. Using the desk calendar, he informed the policemen when each donation appeared and the amounts. Then Raph pulled out each packet of money, still wrapped up in their individual envelope or scrap of paper. Raph had put each packet in its own plastic bag.

"Raph, you would have made a great policeman. I've never seen such detail before," Carl commented. His fellow officers agreed. "So you believe the money is related to the stray that someone left."

"It's got to be. All our other 'patients' have owners who are all present and accounted for. This is a slow time for the clinic. The snow-birds and their pets are lounging on a warm beach somewhere. This cat must belong to a homeless person, or someone equally down on their luck."

"Snow-bird?" Officer Rodgers asked.

Hector chuckled then explained. "We're fortunate to have 'patients' who belong to Pittsburgh's upper class. Just before or right after the holidays, they fly south for the winter."

"Some of those animals have more frequent flyer miles than all of us put together," Raph continued. "We know our regular patients. This poor little girl isn't one of them." Raph opened the folder on Matty, tapping on it to make his point. Inside were pictures of the poor sickly, mangy animal when she first arrived on their doorstep. After a few weeks in their care, she was looking a helluva lot better. The men 'awed' and 'tsked' at the poor little creature, then composed themselves to get back to the matter at hand.

"Ed, what are the dates of the muggings?" Carl asked Officer Rodgers who pulled out his pad. Using the desk calendar they saw a pattern emerging.

"Looks like you received a donation within hours of a reported mugging," the sergeant observed.

"But there's a lot more donations than you have reports. The dates don't add up," Hector commented.

"Mr. Sanchez, some people don't report crimes," the sergeant began. "This donation was for nine bucks. Who's going to report being mugged for nine dollars? Most people would think it wasn't worth the hassle."

The five men nodded all in agreement.

"The amounts don't add up either," Raph added.

"If the perpetrator is hungry himself, he might have held back a buck or two to feed himself. That last donation, it was larger than the rest."

"Yes, one hundred and twenty dollars to be exact," Raph confirmed.

"The amount stolen was one twenty-three. The kid held back three bucks," McGinty revealed.

"Kid?" both Raph and Hector exclaimed.

"The last victim gave us a detailed description of the mugger. Said he couldn't have been more than fourteen," Rodgers informed them.

"Well that just rots! Where are this kid's parents?" Hector was becoming incensed.

"Hector," Raph began calmly to soothe his lover. "Maybe this poor child has no parents. We'll have to wait and see." Raph and Hector saw the officer and Carl exchange looks.

"What?" Hector asked.

"The kid used a knife," McGinty admitted.

Now Raphael became angry. "Just a minor detail you neglected to tell us. Is this because the victims were hit on or just off Liberty Avenue? I read the papers. I assume you left out a few details so that if you got a tip you could figure out if it was legitimate or not. But who cares if a few homos lose their money or get cut up. One less of us for you guys to deal with, right? Hector let's go," Raph said angrily as he stood to gather up his files.

"Dr. Angles," Carl stated more formally. "I know in the past the police department may have looked the other way when it came to crimes whose victims were gay. But I assure you, McGinty and Rodgers are good, honest cops. This won't be swept under a rug."

Hector patted Raph's arm to calm his lover. Raph sat back down.

"Guys, you know me; you know Debbie. I know you aren't regulars at the diner or at the club but you must know people who are. I'm being straight with you, excuse the pun." Carl was able to illicit a small smile from Raph and Hector.

"Like Rodgers said, we've got a good description of the kid. And now with what you've given us, we have a place to start. I'll be turning this all over to a detective," McGinty said.

"What will happen to the kid when you find him?" Raph asked with concern. He had grown up in a large family with many siblings and as the second son, he was put in charge of those siblings many times. But when he came 'out' his family rejected him. Raph missed his brothers and sisters, missed caring for children.

"Well, that all depends," McGinty began.

"On what?" Hector inquired.

"The kid's real age, whether he has a juvenile record, his home situation. Lots of things."

"Please keep us informed. I feel responsible. If the muggings are truly related to Matty, the faster the cat gets better, maybe then the muggings will stop," Raph said sadly.

"Dr. Angles, this is not your fault. You're another victim in all of this. But with the information you've given us, we have a better chance of catching this guy. And I have a feeling, considering who the latest victim is and his associates, the kid will be caught soon," Carl said with a smirk.

Now Raph and Hector exchanged looks.

"Are you allowed to tell me who the victim is?" Raphael asked.

"Brian Kinney," Carl said then laughed. Raph was shocked into silence; Hector just groaned. "Hunter is involved too. So have no fear. If the kid is a victim too, Hunter will advocate for him and protect him."

Carl's last statement made Raph feel a lot better.

"Thank you, gentlemen for coming down here. We'll have to take the money into evidence but I'll give you a receipt for it all," McGinty stated as Rodgers began to fill out a formal report, and record and mark each packet. An hour later, Raph and Hector shook hands with Carl and the officers then went home.

"So what do you think, Carl?" McGinty asked his former mentor and partner.

"Seems pretty obvious to me. I'll ask Debbie if she's heard about another lost boy on the street. Nothing happening on Liberty gets past her." Carl and the sergeant laughed.

"She would have made one hell of a cop too, eh Carl?"

"She probably would have. She cares about those kids, Adam. She really cares. I don't think she'll ever retire from the diner."

"I know when she'll retire," Adam McGinty stated with confidence.

"Oh, you know something about my wife that I don't?"

"I only know that she'll retire the day you retire from that club. You both care, Carl. Since the day you and Kinney took over that club, we've had no trouble. It's the cleanest place on Liberty. I know there's probably some light drug stuff going on in there but no one's OD'd, no fights, no riots. The pushers can't get in. Look, I'll admit that homo stuff gets to me sometimes but my sister's girl, my niece, I caught her going in. She's legal so I didn't have the right to stop her. So one day I had a couple of the undercover cops go in to check out the place."

"Adam, you could have come to me. I would have set you straight."

"I needed to find out for myself. So I asked if they'd go in and scope things out for me. I certainly don't fit." Adam and Carl had a good laugh. Adam was close to retirement too.

"Nope, you'd stick out like a sore thumb. So what did your hotshot cops tell you?"

"The place is clean, no Anita or whoever took her place. Even the backroom was clean and free condoms everywhere. Stay Safe posters in the men's room and clinic numbers for free testing. Officer Fielding said the same about the ladies' room. And that she had never seen such a lavish bathroom even in straight clubs."

"Yeah, Kinney really did a job on the place when he bought it. And he keeps it in good repair," Carl said proudly.

"The point is that caring people, the right people, have slowly transformed Liberty Avenue. And in spite of the ribbing I get for not giving up the Liberty beat, I like it there. I hope I've earned their respect. And I'll make damned sure that whoever replaces me down there will do the same."

Carl got a little choked up. The two friends and former co-workers remained silent for a few moments.

"Your sister's girl, do you have a picture? I'll keep an eye out for her." Adam took out his wallet, so did Carl. The old friends spent the next hour showing off their respective families.



*****



The bell above the door jangled and Michael looked up. It was Lacy Baldwin. He took a deep breath, plastered on a smile and opened his mouth.

"If it isn't my new partner," he said cheerfully.

"I'm glad you seem so agreeable to this whole idea, Michael," Lacy said carefully.

"Justin feels he can't continue with the comic, and he thinks you're the ideal replacement," Michael said smoothly. He wanted to make Lacy feel welcome. If Rage was going to continue she seemed like a necessary part of it.

"I thought maybe we should talk about this whole process," Lacy explained.

"I think that's a good idea. Come into the back office. We can talk and I can keep an eye on the store if we leave the door open."

"Sure," Lacy said following Michael into the office.

Michael had a pot of coffee made in the coffeemaker. "Would you like a cup?" he asked.

"Sure," Lacy replied feeling like they were getting off to a good start.

Michael poured them each a mug of coffee then he sat behind the desk while Lacy sat in the only other chair in the room.

"Where should we begin?" Lacy asked when Michael didn't say anything.

"I guess I should tell you that I wasn't in favor of having a girl draw Rage," Michael said looking into his coffee mug so that he didn't have to look into Lacy's eyes.

Lacy winced. She was afraid this might be Michael's reaction. "Then why did you agree to it? You did agree to it, didn't you?" she asked, wanting to be sure she had the correct information from Justin.

"I agreed … with some misgivings," Michael admitted.

"What misgivings?"

"I … I relied on Justin for a lot of the story ideas. We worked together on most of the issues. He said I could still bounce my ideas off him. He also said he'd contribute his own ideas whenever they came to him."

Lacy stared at Michael who refused to look at her. "Are you saying that I won't have any input to the stories? That you and Justin will decide all that, and all you want is for me to draw?"

"Well, um, yeah, I guess I am."

"That's not good enough, Michael," Lacy stated, deciding she had to speak up now or she'd never be able to contribute. "I was talking to Justin and we came up with a new character for the comic."

"A new character?" Michael asked in surprise. He looked at Lacy for the first time since they'd entered his office. "Justin didn't say anything about a new character."

"We came up with it yesterday when I was talking to him about drawing Rage. I think it's a great idea. So did Justin."

"So what's this great idea?" Michael asked. He tried to keep the sour look off his face, but anyone watching would see that he was not pleased by this turn of events.

Lacy could hear the tinge of sarcasm in his voice. Obviously he wasn't happy about Lacy contributing a new character to his precious comic. That's exactly what she had been afraid of. Michael didn't want her to have any real input. "Justin was explaining how you two came up with the idea for Rage. He said the first edition was based on his experiences, and maybe I should do something about street kids, since that's the experience that I come from."

Michael thought for a moment. "Yeah, that could work, but didn't Justin tell you that we have the next edition all worked out?"

"Yes, he did. He said I'd just be drawing the ideas you have come up with for this issue. He'll supervise to make the transition as flawless as possible."

"Yeah, flawless," Michael said skeptically.

Lacy ignored the comment. "The next issue after this one might be about the street kids," Lacy continued. "Justin and I threw around some ideas."

"Such as?"

"We talked about a female superhero."

"What? No way!" Michael protested immediately.

"You haven't even heard the idea, Michael," Lacy sighed.

"And I don't want to hear it either. Rage is about Zephyr and JT and … Rage," Michael said rather needlessly. "There's no room for a … a girl."

The derision in Michael's voice as he said the word girl made Lacy's hackles stand on end. "You are such a fucking bigot, Michael. You of all people should have an open mind."

"I have a fucking open mind. How dare you say that I don't?"

"I say it because you summarily dismiss my idea without even hearing it all. What's so horrible about including a girl? There are lots of lesbian girls who might like someone as a hero too." "

"Okay, okay, so what's the rest of your idea?"

"Are you prepared to listen with an open mind, or have you decided that this is a stupid idea?" Lacy asked.

"I'll listen," was all that Michael would concede.

"I thought we could call her Sateeena with three e's. She would be a gay hustler, kind of like I was. She could be androgynous at first. No one would know she was a girl until we're ready to reveal that. Justin thought maybe she should be attacked on the street and from that develop some kind of superpower. We haven't decided what that superpower would be yet. What do you think?"

Michael made a face. "I don't know," he mumbled. His eyes were glued to the floor.

"Obviously you don't like the idea." Lacy stood up. She should have known this would never work.

"Wait, let me think about this," Michael said. "It's all new and … different."

Lacy frowned. "Is there any point of thinking about it? I feel like I'm wasting my time even mentioning this. Maybe this whole idea of me working on Rage is really wrong."

"Don't be so hasty," Michael told her. "Let me think about this. It's a lot to get my head around."

"Sure,"Lacy said rather sarcastically. "How long do you think you'll need? Till Hell freezes over?"

"Lacy!"

"I'm sorry, Michael, but this is pointless. Find someone else to draw Rage." She stomped out of the office and slammed the door of the comic book store behind her as she left.

Michael stood and started to follow her. Then he changed his mind deciding that she needed to cool off and he needed some time to think about this new development. How could Justin tell Lacy she could create a new superhero, and a girl superhero to boot? How dare he? Michael was getting more and more angry the more he thought about it.

Justin was bailing on him, and now he was making arbitrary decisions about who should draw the comic and what the content would be. And then he was just going to walk away from it all. He'd leave Michael with a girl to work with and a new female superhero that he hated already.

"Fuck!" Michael said out loud. "Double fuck!"

The bell above the door jangled and he looked up expecting to see Lacy returning to apologize and tell him that Rage was his comic, so he had final say about what was included in it.

Instead of that there was a kid who headed for the rack of the latest comics. Michael sighed and watched the boy rifle through the new comic books. "Handle those carefully," Michael admonished the lad.

"Sure, sure," the boy replied and kept on doing exactly what he was doing before Michael spoke to him.



*****



"Justin, it's Lacy."

"Hi, Lacy, what can I do for you?" Justin asked. He wiped his paintbrush on a cloth and dropped it into his can of dirty brushes. He walked across the sun porch and flopped down in the chaise. He needed a break.

"You can find someone else to draw Rage," Lacy said bluntly.

"Why?" Justin asked sitting up straight. "What happened?"

"I went to see Michael this afternoon. He was a complete ass! I … I walked out on him."

"Shit! What did he do?"

"He said that he didn't want a female superhero. He said I didn't have the right to make such a decision and neither did you."

Justin could hear the impending tears in Lacy's voice. "Fuck," he muttered. "He just flatly refused?"

"Not exactly," Lacy admitted. "He was very hostile to the idea at first. I … I called him a bigot. He acted like girls were so far beneath him."

Justin couldn't help himself and chuckled. "You called him a bigot?"

"Yeah."

"Good for you."

"You're not mad at me?"

"If he did what you're saying then you responded appropriately. If you're going to work with him, he has to know that you're an equal. You don't want him walking all over you, do you?"

"Absolutely not!"

Justin smiled. "So how did you leave things with him?"

"I wanted to tell him to shove Rage up his ass, but he would have enjoyed that too much," Lacy said bitterly.

Justin laughed. "You got that part right."

"I told him to find someone else."

"And that's it?"

"He said he would think about my ideas, but I know he didn't really want to."

"So you called his bluff. That's good."

"Bluff?"

"Yeah, Michael thinks Rage is his baby. He never liked my input in the beginning either. This was a power play on Michael's part, and you didn't let him get away with it."

"But I walked out on him, told him to get another artist."

"He'll think about your ideas and maybe try to find another artist, but that will be nigh unto impossible."

"It will?" Lacy asked.

"I meant it when I said you were the best person for the job."

"So what should I do?"

"Wait."

"Wait?"

"Michael's always been a little slow on the uptake. Give him a few days and I think you'll find he'll come crawling to you."

"You think so?"

"I'd bet money on it."

Lacy laughed. "Fuck! I thought I really blew it."

"You handled it exactly right."

"Who knew?"

"You did. You followed your instincts and that was the right thing to do."

"Thanks, Justin. I appreciate your guidance."

"You're welcome."

"Maybe Sateeena should have the power to hammer bigots into the ground with the force of her personality," Lacy said sarcastically.

"Well, one bigot in particular," Justin laughed.

"Zephyr," Lacy said icily. She sighed. "You really think Michael will call."

"I expect I'll hear from him first, but I'll stick up for you, not that you need anyone to stick up for you."

Lacy laughed. "I like the sound of that."

"Just be patient. It'll all work out."

"If you say so."

"I do," Justin replied. "I'll talk to you in a couple of days."

"Okay," Lacy said before hanging up the phone.

Justin leaned back on the chaise and waited for Michael to call.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 5





"Hello, Michael."

"What the fuck do you think you're playing at?" Michael bellowed into the phone.

Justin held the phone away from his ear, preferring to hear Michael's rant from a distance. When he heard Michael finally draw in a breath, he jumped in. "Calm down," he said.

"I won't fucking calm down! I knew asking Lacy to work on Rage was a big mistake, and I was totally right."

"It wasn't a mistake," Justin protested.

"It fucking was!"

"Lacy's the best person for the job."

"Says you!"

"That's right and I do know this for a fact."

"How could you tell her that we'd include a new superhero, and a girl superhero at that? You're unbelievable!"

Justin tried to keep his temper. "I'm very believable," he said evenly. "I think it's a great idea. It will breathe new life into Rage."

"I thought that was JT's job," Michael said sarcastically.

"It still is," Justin replied not taking the bait. "But any comic book that's worth anything continues to grow and change. Sateeena will add a whole new dimension."

"For lesbians," Michael said derisively.

"A potential new market," Justin said logically. "I don't see the problem with that."

"It's teenage boys that we've been aiming at as our audience."

"And they'll still be there to read about Rage and JT."

"And Zephyr," Michael added. He hated his alter ego being left out.

"And Zephyr," Justin conceded with a sigh. "I never intended that Sateeena would take the main role in the comic. She'll need help from Rage and JT … and Zephyr. But it will give us new directions to go for stories."

"Us? I thought you were leaving."

"Michael!"

"Well, you are, abandoning our project, and then dictating what's going to happen after you've left."

'And finally we get to the crux of the problem,' Justin thought. "I'm sorry about having to quit working on Rage, but I just don't have time to do it justice. Lacy has the time and she'll do a great job."

"Great, right!" Michael said sarcastically. "She practically told me to shove Rage up my ass."

Justin chuckled and bit his tongue. That's exactly what Lacy had wanted to say. Maybe Michael wasn't so dumb after all. He got that part right. Justin cleared his throat and focused. "If Lacy's going to work with you, you can't treat her like shit, Michael. You have to respect her art and her ideas, and her."

"Who says I'm going to work with her?" Michael demanded.

"Well, you are, aren't you? Or are you stupid enough to let her go?"

"I'm not stupid," Michael protested. "I might let her do the comic," he added tentatively.

"Let her?" Justin snorted. "When I talked to her it sounded like a considerable amount of begging would be necessary to get her back."

"Begging? I'm not begging!"

"Then you can kiss Lacy goodbye."

"I … I'll talk to her," Michael conceded.

Justin smiled. Michael was coming on board. "And what about Sateeena?"

"She might be a possibility."

"I think she better be more than a possibility when you talk to Lacy," Justin warned him.

"But how can she be a superhero?" Michael whined.

"She just needs some kind of superpower, that's all."

Michael sighed. "How come Lacy gets everything she wants and I get nothing?" he asked feeling very bewildered about how their conversation had come to this. He had called to chew Justin out and tell him that he refused to work with Lacy. Now he was going to have to beg her to come back and they were discussing what superpowers her female character would possess. "I feel like I got sucker punched by you two," Michael muttered.

"That's it! Let's give her a wicked right hook, so fast that no one can see it coming." Justin felt his creative adrenaline start to flow once again. "She can knock out anybody who attacks her with her massive sucker punch." Justin giggled with enthusiasm for the idea. "And there's a sucker born every minute." He felt positively giddy. The possibilities for stories were limitless. "Her right fist will be so fast that she'll knock any opponent into next week. They'll never know what hit them."

"Just like she knocked me for a loop," Michael griped.

"She didn't do anything to you, Michael. You're still very much a major part of Rage. But you're going to have to learn to work with Lacy. There has to be give and take."

"So far I've done all the giving," Michael said indignantly.

"It'll all even out, if you give her a chance."

"I'll think about it," Michael agreed before he hung up the phone.

Justin set the phone down and let out a long breath. Michael would do the right thing. He was sure about that … well, almost sure.



*****



"What is this place?" Curtis asked hesitantly. He recognized the street where the entrance to the Drop-In Center was situated. It was near the alley where Curtis found his latest 'donor' for his cat.

"The exact name is The Jason Kemp Clinic and Drop-In Center," Hunter replied as he ushered the boy inside, quickly closing the door against the cold. Karen was busy heating up some meals that the diner had sent over. While the Liberty Diner didn't donate money, its daily donation of hearty meals was a godsend.

"Who's he?"

"Jason Kemp?"

"Yeah. He some politician or rich guy?" Curtis was suspicious.

"No," Hunter said as he pointed to a framed picture over the main information counter. It was the police artist sketch of the boy in the dumpster that Debbie had discovered, and whom she had eventually been able to put a name to so many years ago.

"His name was Jason Kemp," Hunter began.

"Was?"

"Yes, he was a boy not much older than you. He was a hustler. He was murdered, his body thrown in a dumpster near the diner. We named the clinic after him as a reminder."

"Reminder?"

"Yes, a reminder that any one of us could have ended up the same way he did."

Curtis shuddered, and not from the cold. He didn't want to end up dead in a dumpster somewhere.

"We have a few rules around here," Hunter said as he pointed to a huge poster on another wall. "First, we don't lie in this place. I don't care who or what you are or what you do outside of these walls. But in here, we speak the truth."

Curtis nodded, his grandfather always told him to be honest and God-fearing.

"We keep ourselves clean and clean up after ourselves. We don't have a housekeeper; we all take turns mopping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, showers and kitchen. We do our own laundry."

At that point, Karen had a basketful of clean sheets that just came out of the dryer.

"This is Karen, she's another counselor who works here," Hunter said, as he grabbed an end of a sheet to help Karen fold it. "This is Karen's night to do laundry and sleep over. Karen, this is..."

"Curtis, ma'am," Curtis said softly to the older woman. Karen approached Curtis slowly but confidently, holding out her hand to shake his. "I-I really need to wash up," he said with embarrassment as he looked down at his dirty hands and clothes. Karen shook the boy's hand in spite of the dirt.

"A little dirt won't hurt me and we have plenty of soap and hot water. And I think I can rustle up some clean clothes that may fit you. You finish your talk with Hunter then you can take a nice long shower. You'll decide which of your clothes you think you want to save and we'll launder them. The rest we'll get rid of if they're torn, or donate to someone else if you've just outgrown them. That will be your choice."

"Why do you do this?" Curtis could not believe that people could possibly be this nice.

"Because, it needs to be done," Karen said simply, giving Curtis a smile and a pat on his bony shoulder.

"Curtis," Hunter said, holding out his own hand to shake, "it's nice to meet you." Hunter smiled brilliantly.

"Nice to meet you sir," Curtis shook Hunter's hand. "Mr. Hunter, are there more rules?"

"Yes and one of them is, my name is Hunter, not mister." That got a smile out of Curtis. "We have a doctor, if you need him. He volunteers here so he comes to you. If you've been abused or hurt by someone, Dr. Nick might ask to take pictures of the bruises."

"I don't have..." Curtis' eyes grew large with fear.

"It's not a rule. Dr. Nick is here for anyone who needs to speak with him or needs basic medical treatment and has no money to pay for it. We also have nurses who volunteer. But for now, let's just get you cleaned up, set up with some clothes for the night and you can take your pick of the beds."

Hunter indicated the dorm room toward the back.

"Curtis, I don't know your story and there's no rule to make you tell it to me. But we're here to help, in any way that we can. If you'd rather talk to Karen or Dr. Nick, who will stop by later, or any other counselor that works here, any one of us will hold what you tell us in the strictest of confidence. Do you know what that means?"

"Yes, sir, I mean, Hunter. But, um, even if I did something real bad, you won't go to the cops?"

"No, we won't. But I hope that when you're ready, we'll all go to the police together and clear up whatever it was that you did."

Curtis nodded, but he was afraid and Hunter knew it.

"First things first. A hot shower, clean clothes and a hot meal. And I think we even have lemon bars!" Hunter laughed as he guided the shaky boy to the showers.



*****



"Hector?"

"Yes, love." It was late; Raph and Hector were snuggled together in their nice warm bed. They had just made love, reaffirming their commitment to each other.

"Did we do the right thing today?"

"You mean going to the cops?"

"Yeah."

"I think we did. Why?"

"What if he is just a kid? A homeless kid. I don't want to send a kid to jail."

"Angel, they won't send a child to jail."

"He had a knife and he held up Brian Kinney. Don't you think Kinney will want to press charges?"

"No, I don't think he will."

Raph turned to face his lover. "What makes you say that?"

"During our forced imprisonment at Edna's Treasures, I had the chance to get to know Hunter and Nick. They're about my age, so I kind of gravitated toward them. They're really great guys. I wouldn't mind hanging out with them some time. I asked about the clinic. You remember we didn't go to any of the fundraiser events."

"Yes, but we did make a donation in the name of the vet hospital. The drop-in center is a worthy cause."

"Yes it is and that's why I wanted to know more about the history of the clinic."

"What does this have to do with Brian Kinney?"

"Apparently the clinic, the renovation of the theater and the bowling alley were Brian's dream."

"You have got to be shitting me?"

"Nope, Hunter said that Brian literally had a dream, a nightmare, actually and somehow that dream turned into the drop-in center. So you see, my angel, I don't think Brian Kinney would send that boy to jail. I think he'd find a way for Hunter to intervene. Maybe get the boy adopted or something."

"Or something," Raphael repeated wistfully.

"Raph, what is it? I know that tone."

"No, you'll kill me for thinking what I'm thinking. And you'll think I'm crazy."

"I may kill you for not telling me what you're thinking. What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking we should adopt the boy."

"Are you out of your mind?!"

"See, you think I'm crazy."

"No. Yes! I have no fucking clue! But we don't know the boy's circumstances. We don't know if he's dangerous, to himself or others. We don't know anything about him."

"No, we don't. But we do know that somewhere in his heart he holds a place for a little ratty looking cat, and that he'd steal to save it. That must count for something."

"Yes, it does. Ulcers. In my stomach, 'cause I know you won't let this go until the end. And it's no use arguing with you. You may be an angel but you're one fucking irritating one."

"I can't help that,; I am named for an archangel."

"Yes, I know. The sword of Raphael is the Sword of Peace, and lies at the end of the Rainbow Bridge of Faith between God and Man. I know. But you're still annoying." Hector gave his angel a searing kiss; his words were not meant to hurt.

"But you love me anyway."

"Yes, love, I do. Because you are my angel and you are so aptly named. Raphael was a healer and so are you."

The lovers grew silent, snuggling closer.

"Hector, we have so much and we have love to give. If there's a chance, would you consider adopting the boy. Or..."

"Or what?"

"If this child is beyond us, another child. Seeing Brian with his children, John and Bobby with Patrick. Michael was so sweet with JR during Christmas. Doesn't it make you wish we could have a child?"

"I have thought about it, but didn't think a baby would fit our lifestyle. I never considered an older child."

"Then please for me, think about it."

"I will. Seriously, I will. Now, time to sleep, love. You have surgery in the morning."

"How can I forget? We're neutering the Henderson's Great Dane. That dog must weigh a hundred and fifty, easy!"

"Yes, but he'll be a little lighter after the surgery," Hector quipped.

"Oh that is terrible! Say good night, love."

"Good night, love."

Raph and Hector allowed sleep to claim them.



*****



With a full belly that hadn't been that way in months, clean clothes on his freshly scrubbed skin and a soft dry bed to sleep in, Curtis was able to push aside all his troubles and worries for the night. He promised himself that he would talk to Hunter or Karen in the morning. He knew stealing was wrong and somehow he'd have to pay for his crimes. But for tonight, Curtis was going to sleep.

A couple of hours later Curtis tossed and turned, flailing around as the dream took him to places he didn't want to go.

He was in the room he shared with two other foster children at the last house he lived in. One of the other kids was having a tantrum. He was ADD and Curtis knew he had trouble focusing. They had been told to clean their room. That meant that everything had to be perfect for Mrs. Hardigan's inspection. If it wasn't, there would be big trouble.

Curtis and Johnny had put all their stuff away. Their beds were made and they were waiting for the inspection. Seven year old Murray was having one of his days. His bed was a mess and he had refused to pick up his stuff that was scattered around his bunk bed that he shared with Johnny. The two boys had tried to get Murray to clean up, but he was yelling and screaming that he didn't have to do what the old bitch told him to do. He wasn't going to be her fucking slave.

Even though Curtis had done his best to calm Murray, nothing seemed to help. He had even started to pick up some of Murray's things in order to try to keep the peace. He knew the consequences of not having a tidy room when the inspection was called. Murray had started screaming at Curtis, telling him not to touch his fucking things, and then had accused Curtis of trying to steal his belongings.

That's when Mrs. Hardigan appeared. She looked like someone's grandmother, but that's where any resemblance to a normal human being ended. She was the most rigid control freak that Curtis had ever seen. Things had to her way and just so, or there was hell to pay. Curtis had experienced that hell enough times to know that he didn't want to experience it again.

"Why is this room not finished?" Mrs. Hardigan demanded when she stepped through the door.

Murray stopped screaming and looked at her with fear. He crouched down in his messy bed hoping she wouldn't notice him. Mrs. Hardigan's eyes saw everything.

"This is totally unacceptable," she said. "You'll all have to be punished." She pulled the leather belt out from behind her back. She always seemed to have it with her and she didn't hesitate to use it.

Curtis remembered the next few minutes very well. He tried not to cry. He had felt the sting of that belt several times over the few months he was with the Hardigans. He knew he couldn't take anymore. He stood up tall and headed for the door of the bedroom.

"Where are you going?" she screamed at him. "Get back here!"

Curtis kept walking. He didn't know where he was going to go, but he knew he couldn't stand this place any longer. He heard Murray scream as the belt connected with some part of his body. Curtis winced knowing he should do something to help the little boy, but what could he do? He could barely look after himself.

He had almost reached the front door of the house when he heard Mrs. Hardigan yelling. He stopped and turned around only to find her son coming down the hall after him. Spike, as he liked to be called, was maybe thirty years old, and he was a sadistic son of a bitch. Curtis ran to the front door, but before he could open it, Spike had him. Spike slammed him against the door … hard. It knocked the breath out of Curtis.

"You fucking little nigger!" Spike spit at him. "I'll show you who's the fucking boss around here … and it's not you." Spike's right hand connected with Curtis' face. He saw stars and then everything went black.

Curtis' eyes opened. He felt himself shaking. He rubbed his jaw at the old memory. He hated the fucking closet. His mind recalled what had happened following that incident with Spike.

When he had woken up some time later, he was in the closet that they used to punish the kids. The door was locked and there was only a sliver of light from under the door. Curtis groaned and rubbed his jaw gingerly. He wondered if it was broken. It hurt a lot.

The next three or four days Curtis had spent in that closet. He was given no food or water and no one came to speak to him. He sat in his own filth, sure that he was going to die in there. When they finally let him out he was sick to his stomach and beaten down. He knew at that moment that he had to get out of there or die.

Once he was released from his prison, they had fed him something finally, and he had been sent back to school the following day. The bruise on his jaw was hardly visible on his dark skin. No one would know what had happened. He never went back to the Hardigans after school that day. That was the beginning of his months on the streets.

It hadn't been much fun. There were crazy people on the streets, people who wanted to hurt you, and rob you and beat you up. But he had managed to survive. He could do it again, when these people who had given him this bed, tried to put him back in foster care … or jail. He was prepared to run. He could survive, and he would, in spite of everything that had been done to him. He didn't know what the future held, but he was a survivor.

He turned over and fell into a deep sleep.


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 6



Lacy was taking an early morning shift at the diner. On the days when she had later classes at PIFA, she often took an early shift. The diner was fairly busy, but she wasn't run off her feet.

"Can I get pancakes and bacon?" a voice said as she was putting on a new pot of coffee.

"Sure," she said as she turned around. "Michael!"

"One and the same," he said as he slid onto a stool at the counter.

"You don't usually have breakfast here."

"I used to, a long time ago. I practically lived here."

"But then you got married and moved on with your life," Lacy said, writing down his order and going over to place it at the pass-through.

"Things change," Michael said as she walked back to the coffeepot.

"Yeah, they do, but some not fast enough."

"I want to apologize for the way I acted," Michael half mumbled. He hated doing this.

"Well, that's something I guess," Lacy conceded. "Coffee?" she asked taking the fresh pot off the burner.

"Yeah, thanks."

Lacy poured the coffee. As an afterthought she added. "No hard feelings, but I think it's good that we know what we'll put up with … and what we won't."

"I suppose it is," Michael said. "Could we start over?"

"You want to?" Lacy asked surprised.

"Yeah, Justin thinks you're the best one to draw Rage, and you probably are."

Lacy raised an eyebrow in her best Brian Kinney fashion. "Probably?"

"Well, you are," Michael said grudgingly. "Can we get together and talk some more."

"Sure, how about tomorrow afternoon. I could meet you at the comic store."

"That would be great," Michael said with a smile, and he sincerely hoped it would be great.



*****



"Daddy, can you come to my school?" Bree asked as she finished eating her cereal.

"To school? Why?" Justin asked.

"I told my class how you paint and I paint with you," Bree explained. "They want to see us paint."

"See us paint?" Justin chuckled. "Sweetheart, painting isn't a spectator sport."

"What's a spectacle sport?" Bree asked with a frown.

"That's what your Daddy and I used to do in the back room of Babylon," Brian smirked.

"What's Babylon?" Bree asked. She seemed to remember that word coming up before, but nobody had ever explained to her what exactly it was.

"Will you stop!" Justin ordered glaring at Brian.

"Just trying to distract her," Brian said with a shrug.

"So, will you come to school, Daddy?"

"No, sweetheart, I don't think I can. I'm very busy these days. So much for your distraction," Justin added using his hip to give Brian a nudge.

"I tried."

"Pweeze, Daddy," Bree whined.

"No whining," Justin said quickly. "And no I can't go to your school."

Bree looked ready to cry. "Hey, Squirt," Brian said, "what if we took your easel and paints into school later this week, and you could show them how you paint."

"But I want Daddy," she said.

"Daddy can't come," Brian said firmly. "How be I ask your teacher about bringing in your supplies. I'll be there with you."

"Okay," Bree replied, perking up at the idea that her Dada would be there if her Daddy couldn't.

"Thanks," Justin mouthed to Brian.

"You owe me one, and I'm sure I'll think of some way for you to repay the favor."

"I'm sure you will," Justin laughed as he picked up his coffee and headed for his painting area in the sun porch.



*****



"Good morning. How did you sleep?" A pleasant smile on his current hostess was Curtis' wake up call.

"Fine, ma'am. Should I get up now? I'll make my bed," Curtis said hurriedly, fearing that if he didn't act fast enough or respectfully enough, he'd be punished or thrown out. He hadn't felt this warm in months.

"No rush, Curtis. We don't have a full kitchen but we do have fresh fruit, cereal and milk. We have hot water if you'd like oatmeal," Karen added.

"I have a choice?"

"Yes, or if you're very hungry, you may have both."

"Both?!" He never had a choice before.

"Why don't you wash up? I was able to launder most of your clothes but I'm afraid your underwear has seen better days. Not to worry. We have many packages of brand new underwear and I'm sure we can find your size. I have several pairs of jeans and sweatshirts that will fit. You go brush your teeth and I'll leave everything here on your bed."

"Won't they get taken, ma'am?" Curtis whispered. Most of his good stuff was stolen at his last foster home.

"Honesty is a rule here, Curtis. You heard Hunter last night."

Curtis nodded. Honesty is a rule, he said over and over in his head. "Ma'am? May I take another shower? It felt really good last night," Curtis pleaded.

As if cradling an injured bird, Karen drew the frightened boy to her. She felt him stiffen for a moment then relax, just a little. "You may take as many showers as you wish. Hunter will be here with Doctor Nick in an hour, so you have plenty of time for your shower and breakfast."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Curtis went to the bathroom. Karen gathered up the clothes she knew would fit the small boy and laid them on his pillow. She then went into the main office to enter a few more notes in Curtis' file.



*****



"Sweetheart!" Debbie came into the diner to work the mid morning to afternoon shift. Lacy would leave after the lunch shift to get to class. "What are you doing here?"

"Um, having breakfast and talking to my artist," Michael mumbled around his toast.

"Well, it's about fucking time! Rage needs a kick in the pants," Debbie said loudly.

"Ma! Not so loud. It's supposed to be a secret," Michael muttered with a pained expression.

"Oh, I'm sorry, honey. I didn't know."

"No harm done, I think," Michael said looking around. No one appeared to be paying attention. "We have to ease Lacy in gradually so no one figures it out."

"Oh, I get it," Debbie said quietly. "Mum's the word," she said with a zipper over her lips motion. "More coffee, sweetheart?"

"Yeah, but make it to go. I gotta go open the store."

"Whatever you say, honey." Debbie packed up Michael's coffee along with a lemon bar then kissed him goodbye.

Neither of them heard the whispers of rumor that were starting already.



*****



"Hunter, what do you have cooking up in that magnificent brain of yours? And what do you need Brian for?" Nick asked as they rushed through the center's door. The wind was blowing again outside, whipping around the alley. "Damn, it's cold," Nick commented as he hung up his coat on the set of pegs on the wall near the kitchen. "Mmm, coffee smells good. Thank you, Karen!" he shouted over his shoulder.

"Hey, how do you know she made it and I didn't set the timer last night?" Hunter said with mock indignation.

"Because Karen's coffee always smells great and your coffee smells like old socks!" Nick said as he and Karen burst out laughing. Hunter looked disgusted.

"Just because I never mastered the trick of making coffee doesn't mean I can't fire both of you. I'm still the brains of this outfit," Hunter said smugly, as he poured himself a large mug, savoring the robust aroma before he took a sip.

"Never happen, my man," Nick stated confidently as he took his coffee into the office.

"Why?"

"Because you can't fire a volunteer and..."

"You need us," Karen finished Nick's statement.

"Yeah, I do." Then Hunter addressed his latest lost boy. "Good morning! Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, sir, I mean, Mr. Hunter. I slept real good," Curtis informed him.

"Did you have breakfast?"

"Just finished; I was going to wash my dishes and make my bed."

"Then don't let me stop you. When you're finished, I'll be in the office. Karen and I need to chat before she goes home. Nick and I will be available to you for most of the day. We need to discuss your needs."

"My needs?"

"Yes, school, for example. And do you have a last name?"

"Samuels, sir, but I ain't got no parents for you to call!" Curtis was frightened, looking around as if to make a break for it.

"Well, Curtis Samuels, I am Hunter Montgomery and that man in the office is Nicholas Shaw. And there's no need for you to run. But for me to be your advocate, I need to know as much as I can about you. So relax, wash your dishes and make your bed. Then come and say goodbye to Karen."

Curtis visibly relaxed then went about his chores.

"So what do you think?" Hunter asked Karen.

"He's scared out of his mind but the cold and his stomach got him to take your offer. He had a nightmare last night but forced himself back to sleep. Now that you got his full name, I'll check the court records. See if he has family." Karen was still a court appointed family counselor. She had legitimate access to the records.

"I'd like to examine Curtis, if he'd let me," Nick commented. "He may have frostbite and not know it."

"Well, we know the rules. He has to ask for help. Just because he took me up on the offer for a meal and a bed doesn't mean we have carte blanche."

At that moment, Curtis came to the office door.

"Mr. Hunter, sir, can I talk to you, please?" Hunter smiled warmly at the scared little boy. Nick and Karen left the office as Hunter had Curtis take a seat.



*****



"Baby, you were in there for hours," Nick exclaimed when Hunter finally emerged from the office. "Where's Curtis?"

"Sleeping, he exhausted himself. He told me everything, showed me some of the old scars. He's a victim of the system. Too young to be on his own, too old to be adoptable. He said he was told he's learning disabled but I suspect he's dyslexic. He's very articulate even though he reverts to street talk. I think he uses it to make himself appear older. He just turned fourteen two months ago."

"His birthday is around Christmas?" Nick asked with concern.

"Yes, and he spent it and Christmas in a cardboard box."

"Jeez. You know, I've been volunteering here for some time now and it never gets any easier. He's got to be one of your youngest lost kids."

"Our, lost kids. You're an important part of this too, as well as Karen. By the way, did she go?"

"Yes. She'll call you later if she finds out anything about him. Come on, my turn to make coffee then I'll pick us up some lunch. Did you ever get the chance to speak with Brian?"

"No, but he said he'd drop by tomorrow. And is my coffee really that bad?"

"Nah, just like ragging on you." The lovers sneaked a kiss then went about the business at hand.



*****



"Hello?"

"Hi Mom!"

"Molly, honey, you've been home for weeks now. Why haven't you called me?"

"Mom, that's not true and I've been busy," Molly said into the phone, rolling her eyes.

"You should never be too busy for your mother," Jennifer admonished her daughter.

"Mom, I called you the minute we got back and we came to dinner," Molly said with a sigh.

"I know, sweetheart, but the house seems so empty without you here."

"I thought Seth was 'occupying' your time."

"Seth, hasn't 'occupied' anything yet. We've come close, though. And I have to admit, he's one helluva kisser," Jennifer giggled.

"Mother! I'm glad he makes you happy," Molly said.

"He does make me happy, very happy. So how goes the wedded bliss these days?"

"It's going just fine although Owen has been hinting..."

"At starting a family?" Jennifer asked hopefully.

"Not yet. He wants me to consider working at Brenner Enterprises."

"Well, that's not what I expected."

"Apparently not but that's not why I called."

"What is it?"

"I stopped at the bistro. I was hoping to see Emmett but Sean said he was taking time off and staying at their cottage."

"Yes, I think I heard him mention it at Christmas."

"Well, I was standing at the counter ordering coffee when I overheard someone say that Rage is getting kicked off the comic and Zephyr will be the main hero. It can't be true, can it?"

"I don't know. I mean if Justin was going to stop drawing Rage, he'd certainly tell us. Don't you think?"

"Probably. Unless..."

"Unless, what?"

"Unless, Michael was going to cut Justin out of the comic and not tell him until it was too late for him to do anything."

"That little toad! I will kick his butt all over Liberty Avenue! Take advantage of my baby, and he'll have to deal with me!"

"Mom! MOM! We don't know anything of the sort. Just calm down!"

"Fine, I'll calm down, but if I find out that Michael has been trying to cheat Justin out of Rage, I'll...I'll sic Brian on him. Brian won't let that worm cheat Justin."

Molly sighed dramatically. All of her years surrounded by the biggest drama queens in all of Pittsburgh made Molly Taylor-Brenner an expert at surviving a mega queen-out moment. She sighed again and waited until her mother's moment was done.

"Maybe I should put the kettle on," Molly muttered to herself as her mother raged on. "This is going to take some time."

Molly sat on a kitchen stool, as Jennifer Taylor began her gruesome description of how she was going to disassemble Zephyr and hide the pieces where the sun don't shine.



*****



"Brian, it's Carl Horvath."

"What can I do for you, Carl? Nothing wrong at the club is there?"

"No," Carl laughed into the phone. "The club is doing great. I'm calling on police business."

"Police business? Have you developed oldtimers' disease?" Brian joked. "The last time I looked you had retired from the force."

Carl laughed louder. "I know I'm retired, but I occasionally get roped into things."

"What kind of things, and what does this have to do with me?"

"Remember your mugging?"

"How the fuck can I forget?" Brian demanded. He'd rather not discuss that sordid little event. He still wondered how he could let a little punk take his money. At least the kid had not got his wallet.

"You reported that the kid took a hundred and twenty-three dollars, right?"

Brian thought for a moment. "Yeah, as best I can remember." Brian had got some cash from an ATM, and had bought lunch for himself and Cynthia. He wasn't sure what else he might have spent a few bucks on, definitely nothing major. "It was probably a hundred and twenty-three. I can't be totally sure. Why? Does it matter?"

"The officers on the case and I were talking to Raph and Hector, the vet and his assistant that were at your place over Christmas."

"Yeah, what do they have to do with this?"

"It seems that hours after your mugging, someone left a packet of money at their door. It contained a hundred and twenty dollars."

"But, if you asked about the hundred and twenty-three, why is a hundred and twenty significant?" Brian was puzzled.

"They had a sickly, little cat left on their doorstep a few weeks ago. Since then they have received various packets of money which they think are intended to pay for the care of the cat. The packets have ranged from $9.00 to your hundred and twenty."

"How do you know it's my money?"

"It was a few hours after your mugging, later that night to be exact. It all adds up. This kid left the cat at the vet's and has been robbing people to pay for the vet to look after it."

"Jesus Christ!" Brian reacted running his hand through his hair. "I've never heard of such a thing. That must be why the kid was apologizing all the time. He really didn't want to rob me, but he felt he had to get the money for the cat. Have you found the kid?"

"Not yet, but I think we're a step closer. Hunter hasn't had any contact with a new kid, has he?"

"Not that I've heard, but why don't you call him yourself?"

"I intend to, but not just yet. If we catch this kid, would you consider not pressing charges? I know he scratched you with a knife," Carl explained.

"I don't want to punish the kid, Carl. It sounds like he needs a home and some help, not being thrown into juvvie."

"I agree. I was hoping you'd say that."

"I'm coming into Pittsburgh tomorrow to see Hunter. I'll find out if he's seen the kid around, and if there's anything I can do."

"Thanks, Brian, I knew I could count on you."

Brian shook his head as he set down the receiver. The world was a fucked up place.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 7



Ted walked into the diner hoping to grab a quick sandwich for lunch and a lemon bar. He sat down at the counter. Debbie came bustling over.

"Teddy! What can I get you?" she asked with a big smile.

"Tuna on white and a lemon bar to go," Ted said.

"Sure thing," she replied smacking her gum. Nothing much changed where Ted was concerned. She put the order in and went to pack up his lemon bar.

Lacy came out of the back with her coat on and her messenger bag slung over her shoulder. "I'm going, Deb. See you at home."

"Sure thing, kiddo," Debbie called. "That girl is really embarking on a new stage of her career," Debbie whispered to Ted as she set down the bag containing the lemon bar.

"What do you mean?" Ted asked.

"It's very confidential, but she's going to be working with Michael. She's going to draw Rage." Debbie was practically bursting with pride.

"But what about Justin?" Ted asked with a frown.

"Oh, I don't know. I guess Michael and Justin have worked something out. I'm so happy for Lacy," she said as she retrieved Ted's sandwich from the cook and took his money. "But it's all hush-hush for now, so don't say anything."

"Sure," Ted said, "keep the change." He made his way out of the diner.

Outside he stopped and thought about Debbie's big news. He was standing there when two teenage boys walked by.

"Did you hear that Rage is being killed off?" one of them was saying.

"What are you talking about?" the other asked.

"I got the info from Brad. He was told on good authority that Rage is being killed off and Zephyr is going to be the new superhero all by himself, until he gets a new sidekick, I guess."

"That sucks! Rage is hot, and Zephyr is just Zephyr."

"That's what I heard."

"What about JT?"

The boys were far enough down the street that Ted couldn't hear anymore.

"What the fuck is Michael doing?" Ted mumbled to himself. He wondered if he should call Brian and Justin and ask them about this turn of events. After that fleeting thought, he decided he would be much better off staying the fuck out of the whole thing. He hurried off down the street, back to his numbers and ad campaigns. They were definitely much safer.



*****



"So Carl doesn't want you to file charges against this kid when he's caught?" Justin asked.

"That's right," Brian said.

"But he had a knife," Justin protested. "That's armed assault. He could have really hurt you."

"I don't think so, Sunshine."

"But … this is fucked. Just because the kid is looking after a cat, that buys him the right to attack people and steal their money. I don't think so," Justin said indignantly.

"He's just a mixed up kid. We don't know the whole story yet."

"That's my point. I don't think you can decide not to press charges when you don't know the whole story. He hurt you."

"Yes, Sunshine," Brian replied. "I hear you. I'll get the whole story and then I won't press charges." He pulled Justin against him for a kiss.

Justin turned his face away refusing to let Brian kiss him. He struggled to get away from his husband. "Fuck you, Kinney! How can you be so cavalier about this whole thing? You could have been really hurt or … dead."

Brian shook his head and held onto Justin. "Easy, I'm fine. Nothing happened to me."

"Something did happen, you big idiot! You were robbed at knifepoint!" Justin gave Brian a shove and walked away angry.

"Justin, I … I'll get the whole story before I make a final decision."

"You said you already told Carl you wouldn't press charges," Justin said turning to face Brian.

Brian could see the tears that Justin was holding back. "I can always change my mind."

"Promise?"

"I promise. If I get a bad feeling about this kid when they catch him, I'll let Carl prosecute."

"Good," Justin said as Brian stepped forward and gave Justin the kiss and hug that he had refused before. "I love you," Justin whispered. "I want you safe."



*****



"Drop-In Center," Hunter answered the phone in his office.

"Hunter, it's Karen."

"Shouldn't you be in a nice soft, warm bed asleep by now?"

"Yes and I will be, soon. I wanted to fill you in on what I found out about our latest lost boy. Are you alone?"

"Yes. Curtis poured out his guts earlier then passed out. I let him sleep then encouraged him to let Nick check him out. They're in the exam room now."

"Good. Curtis is what you've suspected; he's in care, however not for that long."

"What do you mean?"

"Up until Curtis was twelve, he was living with his grandfather. One Jerome Curtis Samuels. The boy's mother had died when Curtis was about five."

"Drugs?"

"No, leukemia, diagnosed too late. The grandfather was relatively young, fifty-five, when he died."

"Je-sus! What happened to him?"

"Massive heart attack."

"Shit, the kid can't catch a break!"

"No, he didn't. Then he was put into care. Hunter, I feel responsible somehow."

"You? Why?"

"Because I know the family where Curtis was placed. I've been trying to get their permits revoked for years but we could never prove abuse. The kids would somehow survive, grow up then disappear. We couldn't get any of them to testify against the Hardigans. When we did the inspections for recertification, the house was neat and clean, and in good repair. The children were clean and well fed but we always felt something was going on in that house."

"But no proof."

"No proof." The counselors and friends were silent for a while. "Anything else?"

"Yes, two interesting facts, actually. First, Jerome Samuels was a fireman. He should have had a substantial life insurance policy and survivors' benefits. Curtis is not penniless. The money should be in trust for him, somewhere."

"I'm going to call Melanie Marcus. She does pro bono work. Something like this is right up her alley. What's the second fact?"

"Curtis has been on the streets for how long?"

"Sometime before Christmas. That makes it around four months."

"The Hardigans never reported him missing. They've been cashing the stipend checks on a child technically not in their care."

"You've got them, Karen."

"Yeah, but how to prove it?"

"Let me talk to Carl about that."

"Carl Horvath?"

"Yeah. He may have a suggestion or two."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"Yeah, at least we have a plan. Now, say goodnight, Karen."

"It's only three in the afternoon."

"Yes, but you worked the overnight shift, so goodnight."

"Goodnight, Hunter." Hunter hung up the phone; he had a lot to think about.



*****


"Curtis, do you wear glasses?" Nick asked the youngster.

"Yes, sir. Not all the time. When I was in school and sitting in the back, I could see the board better with them." Nick made a few notes in the chart.

"What happened to them?"

"I lost them," Curtis said sadly, embarrassed.

"Not to worry, we'll get you a new pair."

"But I don't have money."

"Curtis, in here, money is not something our kids have to worry about. Yes, our kids have responsibilities and they include cleanliness, tidiness, honesty, treating yourself and others with respect and doing homework. For the older kids, we find them jobs. Or help them get into vocational school. Some of our kids are in college. But you do not need to worry about money."

"Yes, sir," Curtis said with a small smile. "I miss school. I miss my friends at school."

"Curtis, when we clear this all up, we'll find a way to get you back to school."

"But the Hardigans..."

"I think I can safely say that Hunter will take care of them," Nick stated with confidence.

Curtis relaxed. For the first time in years he thought maybe his life might get better. But he decided not to hope too hard, not just yet.



*****



"Raph, what is it? You keep looking at the service entrance door," Hector asked his partner.

"Just wondering when the next 'donation' is going to show up."

"If we're lucky, there won't be a next 'donation.'"

"I hope we're real lucky."

Hector agreed as they got back to work.



*****



Emmett hurried into his bistro. He had gotten an emergency call from Sean. Sean and the intern were removing a fresh tray of popovers from the oven. There were several people standing at the counter waiting. Emmett could hear a ripple of disquiet among the voices, as he passed them and went behind the counter.

"What's going on?" he asked Sean as he removed his coat and hat. "Why are there so many people lined up? Have you had trouble with the ovens?" He looked at the tray of popovers wondering why they weren't already baked and sitting on the counter. This would never do, keeping his customers waiting.

"We've been swamped all morning."

"How come?" Emmett asked with a frown. He grabbed another tray and started getting a new batch of popovers ready to go in the oven.

"Haven't you heard?" Sean asked as he removed the steaming popovers from the tray.

"Heard what?"

"That Rage is dead."

"What? What did you say?" Emmett asked in bewilderment.

"All of Liberty is talking about it," Sean explained. "It seems that the next issue of Rage is going to have Rage killed off. JT too probably. Zephyr will be left to carry on the fight against homophobes all by himself. He'll be the new superhero.

"Oh my fucking God! How do you know this?"

"Everybody's talking about it."

"But that can't be true. The comic is called Rage … not Zephyr."

"Yeah, but they killed Superman a few years ago. Remember?"

"No, I don't remember actually, but it seems to me that they found out that was a big mistake and eventually brought Superman back as he used to be."

"That's true," Sean said. "But in the meantime people need their comfort food and a place to talk about Rage's demise. We seem to be it."

"How many popovers have you sold?"

"Thousands," Sean laughed as he took the newest batch to the counter where they immediately disappeared.

"Well, fuck!" Emmett said. "At least this bizarre turn of events is good for business."



*****



"So when are you heading for Pittsburgh?" Justin asked as he came out of the sun porch. He was covered in paint.

"You've been busy by the look of it," Brian chuckled.

"I'm getting a lot done these days. I should have the 'Seasons' canvases almost finished in a few weeks … if everything keeps going like this."

"You always look so happy when you're inspired," Brian observed.

"I am. And you know where most of my inspiration comes from," Justin said wrapping his arms around Brian's waist.

"You better not be getting paint all over my Armani."

"Would you care?" Justin asked nuzzling Brian's neck.

"Of course I'd care … but that doesn't mean I'd stop you."

Justin giggled. "I love you. So, when are you leaving?"

"When you let go of me."

"What if I don't want to?"

"Then I guess I'll just have to stay here."

Justin gave Brian a radiant smile. "I'd like that."

"And then you won't get any painting done."

"I could live with that."

"I thought you were on a schedule," Brian chuckled.

"I'm entitled to a break."

"In bed?"

"That's the best kind," Justin said smugly.

"Then go for it," Brian replied backing away.

Justin held onto his husband. "I don't want to go there alone."

"I told Carl I'd…"

"Who's more important, Carl or me?"

"Fuck Carl!" Brian said taking Justin's hand and leading him to their bedroom.

"It better be me you're fucking, not Carl," Justin giggled.

"No danger," Brian said as he kicked the door closed behind them.



*****



"Hey, Nick," Hunter said coming in from the street.

"Hi, yourself," Nick said with a smile.

"How's Curtis doing?"

"He's been helping clean around here since you went out. He's a good little worker."

"That's something," Hunter said thoughtfully. "He seems like a good kid at heart. He's just had some rough experiences."

"I agree. I hope we can make things work out for him. He's poised to run whenever he gets an inkling that foster care might be in his future."

"It's too bad he had such a shitty time in care. There are some good families out there."

Nick nodded. "I don't see him going back into care, at least not in the usual way. He'll run."

"I think so too, but I'm glad he's doing okay here."

"He is. I told him he could play some video games when he finished in the kitchen."

Hunter smiled. Then his face sobered. "I heard something interesting when I was out on the streets."

"Oh yeah, and what might that be?"

"Seems that there's quite a rumor circulating around Liberty."

"There's always a rumor about something," Nick laughed. "It is drama queen city out there on the ave."

"True," Hunter replied, "but this one hit a little close to home."

Nick frowned. "What?"

"Seems the consensus is that Michael's going to kill off Rage and JT in the next issue, and Zephyr will be the new solo superhero."

"What? Are you shitting me? I know Michael's your father, but that would be a ridiculous move. It's Rage and JT that people want to read about. Didn't Brian say that Lacy was going to take over Justin's role as artist? Michael wouldn't kill off his superheroes … would he?"

Hunter shook his head. "I don't think so, but that's what they're saying."

Nick shook his head in disbelief.



*****



"I should call Carl and tell him I'll see him tomorrow," Brian said as he stretched.

"Okay," Justin replied. "We still have a couple of hours before you go pick up Bree and Patrick."

"You want to fuck again?" Brian asked surprised.

Justin nodded. "Don't you?"

"I am getting older, Sunshine. We've already had two rounds."

"Well, if you can't keep up…" Justin let his words hang in the air. He knew Brian could never refuse a challenge.

"You are asking for it," Brian threatened rolling over on top of Justin and pinning him to the bed.

"I know. Are you going to give it to me?" Justin asked with a grin.

"How can I refuse?"

The phone call to Carl was completely forgotten.



*****



"Hi, Dada," Bree called when she saw her father come into her classroom at school.

"Hi, Squirt. Did you have a good day?"

Bree bobbed her head at her father. Her perfectly coiffed ponytail bounced at the side of her head. "I made this," she said holding up a painting with one of her rainbows.

"Spectacular!" Brian gushed.

Bree smiled and handed the painting to him. Brian helped her on with her coat and boots.

"Mr. Kinney?" The teacher said coming over to them. "Bree tells me that you're going to bring in some of your partner's paintings and equipment to show the class how an artist works."

Brian groaned inwardly. He was hoping Bree would have forgotten all about it. "Bree wanted Justin to come, but he's getting ready for a show and couldn't afford to spare the time. I'm sure you'd rather have the real artist than me and a few paintings."
"Your partner is quite famous and it would be great to have him demonstrate his art to our class," the teacher said carefully.

"Then maybe we should wait until he is free."

"Now, Dada," Bree said firmly. She had taken in everything they had been saying and it didn't gibe with what she wanted to have happen. "I told everybody I would paint for them."

"I know, Squirt, but maybe…"

"No, Dada," Bree said clearly. "Tomorrow."

"I really can't tomorrow, but maybe the day after," Brian said reluctantly.

"That would be wonderful," the teacher replied. "I'll book you in for first thing in the morning."

"Great," Brian said with absolutely no enthusiasm. "Let's go home, Bree."

"'Kay, Dada," Bree said happily, as she grabbed her backpack and they quickly left the room. Brian wasn't sure he ever wanted to return, especially not the day after tomorrow.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 8



Brian couldn't put off going into Pittsburgh for much longer. As much as he wanted to stay at home to indulge in 'Sunshine loving' each afternoon, Brian did have businesses to run and other obligations. Brian suspected Hunter was cooking up another clinic scheme and Carl wanted to discuss the mugging. Brian bundled himself up against the elements and drove to the Pitts.

"Brian, good of you to come," Carl said as Debbie's first lost boy strode into the police station at Carl's request. Carl showed Brian into a small interview room where he and the officers on the mugging case could talk freely.

"You planning on working me over?" Brian asked as he looked around. Police stations made Brian a little nervous.

"No, of course not," Carl said with a grin. "I retired my rubber hose years ago, so relax, Brian."

"So he says with a glint in his eye," Brian mumbled to himself. "Carl, you may have retired but you being here, well, let's just say you're in your element. I'm assuming you hauled my ass in here because of my little mishap with a certain little bad boy?"

"Yes, Sergeant McGinty and Officer Rodgers want to know if you're still keeping an open mind about the boy," Carl stated. McGinty and Rodgers nodded in agreement.

"Quite honestly, I hope Hunter finds the kid before you guys do." The cops smiled. "However, I promised a certain blond tough guy who I have to report to every night that I'd hear all the facts before I make any decisions. This kid may have his reasons for stealing but he is using a knife. That does change things."

"We were hoping you'd overlook that," Carl said.

Brian raised a brow in surprise. "You're a cop, an honest cop. You'd have me look the other way at armed robbery?"

Carl sighed at Brian's admonishment. "No, Brian, I wouldn't, and you're well within your rights to press charges. So far, yours is the largest amount stolen by the perpetrator. But there are extenuating circumstances."

"Yes, I know, the cat. But as you know, I'm not into pussy."

Carl snorted, McGinty blushed and Rodgers chuckled.

Brian stood to leave. "Gentlemen, I have no wish to make this kid's life any worse than it already is. If you think this kid is worth saving and if the other victims don't press charges, I'll go with the flow. But I have to warn you, I answer to a higher authority. If he's not happy, then I'm not happy and then there will be hell to pay."

Brian Kinney left the room.

Carl, McGinty and Rodgers sat quietly as the dust settled after Brian's departure.

"Carl, what higher authority does Kinney answer to?" the Sergeant asked his old partner.

"Justin Taylor," Carl replied then he too left the building.



*****



"Hi, Mom," Justin said into the phone.

"It's nice to hear from you, sweetheart," Jennifer replied.

"It's usually me saying that," Justin informed her. "I haven't heard from you in weeks."

"I … I've been busy."

"With Seth?"

"Well, yes, with Seth and work and…" Jennifer did not finish that statement.

"Mom? How serious is this Seth thing?"

Jennifer drew in a breath. "Very."

"Really? And you haven't bothered to tell me."

"Seth has been … wonderful. He's been courting me, as he calls it."

"Courting?" Justin chuckled.

"Yes, courting. He's very old fashioned about some things, and courting is one of them. He does his courting very well too."

Justin could almost hear the smile on his mother's face. "If he makes you happy, then he's got my endorsement."

"I don't really need your endorsement," Jennifer said seriously, "but thank you anyway, honey."

"You're welcome, Mom. Is there … um, going to be a big announcement anytime soon?"

"Announcement? No, no, we haven't even slept together."

"Mom!"

"Well, we haven't, but it could be very soon. Maybe even tonight."

"Mom!"

"Well, you asked."

"Yes, I did," Justin laughed.

"I better go. I have things to do."

"Behave yourself … but not too much," Justin added.

"I wasn't planning on behaving myself at all," Jennifer grinned.

"Mom!"

"Say goodbye, Justin," Jennifer chided him.

"Goodbye, Justin," Justin said obediently before cutting the connection. He shook his head as he thought about his mother and Seth. He really liked Seth and so, it seemed, did his mother. He was very happy for both of them.



*****



Brian walked along Liberty Avenue. He had the strangest feeling that people were looking at him, studying him, shaking their heads. He looked down at his coat. The buttons were done up probably, none out of place like he occasionally did. He looked at his feet. He had matching boots, not odd ones. He ran his hand through his hair. It was still there. He hadn't suddenly gone bald. What the fuck was going on?

The next person he caught staring at him, he stared back hoping to learn what was so fucking interesting about him. The person quickly looked away seemingly embarrassed. Brian frowned as he came up to the door of the diner.

He took a glance around the street. Everyone he could see was suddenly occupied doing something that meant they were not looking at him. He shook his head and pushed open the door of the diner. All talking inside immediately stopped.

"What?" he demanded as he walked up to the counter. No one answered. They all were studiously eating whatever was in front of them. Neither Lacy nor Debbie was around so there was no one to ask. He ordered a coffee to go. As he waited for it to be prepared he looked around the diner. No one would meet his gaze. He wondered what the fuck was going on.

Some new waiter handed him his coffee. He dropped a five on the counter and immediately walked outside. There was something really spooky going on. Maybe Hunter would know what it was. He headed for the clinic.

When Brian turned the corner that led into the alley where the entrance to the clinic was located, he almost ran smack into Hunter who was heading out.

"I was coming to see you," Brian said.

"I'm in kind of a hurry," Hunter said quickly.

"I thought we could talk."

"Maybe another time."

"Where are you going? Have you heard something about the kid who robbed me?"

"Um, no," Hunter replied. He didn't want to get into the whole Curtis thing right at that moment. He wasn't sure what Brian was going to do about pressing charges. Hunter felt it was best that Brian didn't know that Curtis was at the clinic, at least not yet.

"So, where are you off to?"

"I have some errands to run," Hunter said vaguely.

"Ah, the infamous errands. What the fuck is going on around here?" Brian demanded.

"I really have to go. Can we get together in a day or two?" Hunter hurried away before he had to answer any more of Brian's questions.

Brian watched Hunter's back turn the corner. "Fuck!" he muttered. He took a sip of his coffee and decided to head for Kinnetik before he froze his good ball off.



*****



"Brian, I'm done for the day," Ted said as he was putting on his coat.

"Who's left?"

"No one. Cynthia went home about half an hour ago; the last artist just left. You should go home too."

"I will. Scott just emailed me. He's thinking about expanding Part Deux."

"Really? How?"

"The third floor has been empty for some time now. It's only the upper two floors that have occupied apartments. Except for the executive suite. He's thinking of taking on more ad execs. Stacey has New York locked up; Joseph is knocking out the competition on the west coast. Scott wants to expand south and midwest. He has a stack of resumes for me to go through. I'm thinking I'll go there tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan," Ted replied. Brian could tell that his CFO had more on his mind.

"Spill, Theodore!" Brian growled.

"Um, I've been hearing some very strange scuttlebutt on the avenue lately and I'm not sure whether you knew what was going on," Ted said hesitantly. Brian could see that his friend and trusted business partner was deeply concerned. He got up from his desk to give his friend his full attention.

"Go on," Brian said as he stood in front of Ted with his hand on Ted's shoulder.

"Brian, is everything all right between Justin and Michael? I mean, their Rage partnership, is that still in effect?" Brian debated what to reveal. He guided his friend over to the sofa to sit.

"Ted, Justin's 'Old Masters' show made a killing in New York. Sidney now has them going to Chicago, next is LA then possibly Europe. Just around Christmas he asked Justin to start on a new project. Justin loves Rage but he loves his paintings and sketches more. He feels he can't do Rage justice. Plus it's time."

"Time for what?"

"Time for Justin to put Rage aside and get on with the rest of his life."

"So, is he going to kill off Rage?"

"What?! No. Lacy is going to take over as the artistic talent behind Rage. And they've been tinkering with a new superhero."

"So Rage and JT live on."

"Yes, they do, and Justin is not completely dropping Rage. Lacy is young and still has some confidence issues. Justin will be there to guide her and be a go-between, between her and Michael."

"Oh, thank God!" Teddy exclaimed as he jumped up to give his boss a hug. Brian batted away Ted's arms and arched his brow. "You don't know what I've been hearing."

"What have you heard?"

"That Rage was going to die and Zephyr was going to be the new superhero. All the kids are talking about it all over Liberty. You know how much Debbie loves Lacy; she's so proud of her. She sort of let the cat out of the bag, so to speak."

"Shit! So that's why I've been getting all these strange looks."

"What looks?"

"I walked over to the diner earlier today and I had this strange feeling that people were staring at me."

"You're still one hot dude, Bri."

"Thanks but there's a difference between lust and pity."

"Pity?"

"Yeah, it's like they were sorry for me. They immediately became quiet the second I stepped into the diner. Not a peep. I swear if it was summer, I'd be able to hear those damn bullfrogs in my stream."

"So what are you going to do?'

"What can I do? I'm not Rage and this is something Mikey and Justin are going to have to sort out by themselves."

"You going to tell Justin?"

"I don't think I have any choice. He'd kill me if he thought I was holding something back from him."

"Got you by the balls, doesn't he?" Ted smirked.

"Yeah, he does and if you repeat that, I'll deny it and then I'd have to kill you."

"I know, Boss, mum's the word. You have my support, whatever you decide," Ted said sincerely.

"Thanks, Ted, I appreciate that." The friends were silent for a moment. "You have some time to go to the diner with me? I want to pick up some lemon bars for home."

"Sure, Brian."

Brian and Ted locked up Kinnetik for the night and went to the diner.



*****



"Melanie? It's Hunter. You're working late tonight," Hunter said into the phone. It was after seven and Mel was still at her office.

"This is my late night," Mel admitted. "I've decided that I'm only working late two nights per week. The rest of the time I go home and have dinner with my family." She and Lindsay were getting along so much better and Mel had no intention of ruining it.

"That sounds wonderful, Mel."

"Is this a social call?" Mel asked, getting down to business.

"Not exactly. I need some help, or rather, one of my new kids needs help."

"What can I do?" Mel asked as she took out a fresh legal pad to make some notes. Hunter filled Melanie in on Curtis, his 'crimes', what Karen discovered and the alleged abuse.

"Hunter, I think we have a good case and I can look into the insurance beneficiary aspect too. Do you think the victims will press charges?"

"I'm not sure but I can have Carl look into it. I do have one concern."

"About?"

"One of the victims; he had the largest amount stolen. And he was almost cut by the knife."

"Shit! Who is he? Do I know him? Maybe I can make an appeal to him."

"Oh you know him, all right. It's Brian."

"Fuck!"



*****



"Raph, angel, what's wrong? Since this business with Matty and the robberies, you've been very quiet. I don't like you this quiet. I want my big playful lover back," Hector said as he placed a plateful of his partner's favorite food in front of Raphael in hopes of enticing him. They were just sitting down for dinner together.

"I'm sorry, babe. Matty is doing so much better. She'll be ready to go home but she doesn't really have a home, does she? And neither does her owner, from what we've learned." Raphael sighed loudly. That wasn't all that was bothering him. Hector wasn't blind. He noticed the longing expressions his partner was giving off when he thought no one was looking.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were brooding."

"Brooding? I'm a chicken?" Raphael asked indignantly. Hector laughed.

"No my love, but you have to admit to some nesting behaviors."

"I don't have to admit to anything."

"Okay, don't admit to it. However, I'm not the one who all of a sudden started clearing out the spare room, measuring it for furniture and looking up online about the latest teenage crazes, clothes and music." Raphael stayed silent. "Angel, why don't you speak with a lawyer? If you are really serious about trying to adopt that boy or becoming a foster parent, we're going to need all the legal advice we can get."

Raphael took his lover's words seriously. He put down his fork and began to rummage through his wallet.

"Here it is," Raph exclaimed.

"Here what is?"

"Melanie Marcus' business card. I was networking at Christmas, in between pigging out and shoveling. I think I'll give her a call."

"Raph, it's after seven!"

"So, I'll leave a message but I don't want to put this off."

"Okay, love. You do what you have to do," Hector said as he gave Raph a kiss then took his lover's plate to place in the oven to stay warm.

"Hello, Melanie? It's Dr. Raphael Angles. We met over Christmas. You remember, good. I wonder if I could get some advice...."


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 9




"Come in, Seth, I'm almost ready."

Seth walked up the steps of Jennifer's townhouse. He looked around the now familiar living room wondering if now was the right time.

"I'll just grab my coat and we can go," Jennifer said as she picked up her evening purse.

"Great."

"Is something wrong?" Jennifer asked, eyeing her beau for a minute. His "great" hadn't sounded quite right.

"No, no, nothing's wrong," Seth tried to assure her.

Jennifer smiled. "Then let's go."

Seth walked her down the steps and out to the car. He opened the door for her and waited till she was comfortably seated before closing the passenger door. He walked around to the driver's side and climbed in. "Ready?" he asked.

"I'm always ready for you," Jennifer said with that little laugh that made Seth melt inside.

Yes, tonight was definitely the night. Seth backed out of the driveway.



*****



Brian drove up the lane to Edna's Treasures. He was later than he had intended to be. He wondered if Bree would be in bed already. He could use a goodnight kiss. He pulled the car to a stop and got out, retrieving his briefcase, before heading to the front door.

"Dada!" Bree squealed as the front door was flung open.

"Squirt!" Brian replied with the same enthusiasm as his daughter and a big smile just for her.

"She heard you coming," Justin said with a chuckle as he stood by the door watching Brian scoop up their daughter and kiss her all over her face.

"You always know when I'm home, don't ya, Squirt?"

Bree nodded her head emphatically.

"Her Dada-dar was in full force. She's been waiting for you rather than going to bed like a good little girl," Justin explained.

"I had kisses for Dada," Bree replied like that made her refusal to go to bed perfectly sensible.

"And very good kisses they were too," Brian said giving her a few more of his own. She giggled happily.

"You come to school with me tomorrow," Bree stated.

"Tomorrow? Shit!"

"You promised, Dada," Bree said with a big frown.

"Yes, I did," Brian agreed reluctantly. "So tomorrow we'll both go to school."

"Good, Dada."

"Yes, very good Dada," Justin laughed.

"I'm doing this for you, you know," Brian said.

"And it's greatly appreciated."

"Time for bed, Squirt," Brian said setting Bree down.

"Tuck me in, Daddy," Bree requested of Justin.

"That means a story," Justin said with a grin. "I'll be a while."

"That's fine," Brian said. "I'm going to grab a sandwich."

"We saved you some chicken. It's in the oven."

"It's real good," Bree informed her Dada as she took her Daddy's hand and they marched off down the hallway to her room.

Brian watched them go before heading for the kitchen.



*****



"Seth, this was a lovely dinner." Jennifer looked around the elegant restaurant that Seth had taken her to for their meal. The food had been excellent. They were currently having coffee and debating about whether they had room to share a dessert.

"Only the best for you, my dear."

Jennifer smiled. Seth was always so gallant, so controlled, and so sweet. She wondered what he would be like as a lover. They had kissed … a lot. They had necked … some. They had been close to taking the next step … a couple of times. But something had always held them back. Jennifer stared at her handsome dinner companion.

"A penny for your thoughts," Seth said as she continued to stare.

"I don't think you really want to know."

"Don't be so sure."

Jennifer giggled. Seth had the ability to make her feel like an infatuated schoolgirl. "I'm in the mood for something really decadent." She looked meaningfully into Seth's eyes. "Something chocolate."

Seth grinned. "Chocolate it is … for now." He signaled the waiter.



*****



Lacy walked up the steps to the front door of the house. She rang the bell and waited. Her breath came a little faster than normal. Her heart was pounding. "You can do this," she whispered to herself.

The door opened. "Hi, Lacy," Michael said. "Come on in."

Lacy stepped across the threshold, feeling a bit like the sacrificial lamb going to the slaughter. She slipped her messenger bag over her head and unzipped her jacket.

"Did you bring the drawings?" Michael asked.

"Of course I did."

"Hi, Lacy," Ben said as he came out of the kitchen. "Would you like something to drink?"

"A soda would be great," Lacy replied. She smiled at the big man. He always seemed so kind. A soda might give her a mouth that wasn't as dry as the Sahara Desert. She licked her lips as she opened her messenger bag to get the drawings she had made.

She had barely taken them out of the bag when she felt Michael snatch them from her hand. She was about to protest, but she looked at Michael's intent face as he studied the drawings he was holding. Lacy sighed and didn't say anything.

"Here you go," Ben said handing her a glass of soda. "Come into the living room and have a seat." He guided her to the sofa. "Michael seems so intent on studying your work that he has momentarily forgotten his manners."

Michael looked up at the mention of his name. "Oh, sorry, I've been waiting for days to see what your drawings would look like. They're…" Michael hesitated. Lacy held her breath. "They're quite good."

"Thanks," Lacy said trying not to sigh too audibly. That was the first hurdle.

"I have a couple of suggestions though."

"I expected you would."

"I'll leave you two alone to discuss your project," Ben said heading up to the bedroom. "I have some papers to grade."

"Thanks for the drink," Lacy said. Ben nodded and disappeared up the stairs. "So what suggestions do you have?"

"I'd like this series of drawings to be a little more graphic, a little more violent," Michael said. "We really want to make the bad guys despicable. Then when Rage destroys them the readers will cheer."

"Okay," Lacy said thoughtfully. "I see what you mean. I can fix that without too much trouble."

"Great."

"Anything else?"

"Not really. I … I have to admit that these are better than I expected they would be. They are very much like Justin's drawings … but also different. I guess that means they're really your own work."

Lacy smiled a little bit. She let the corners of her mouth fluctuate up ever so slightly. Michael couldn't have said anything better about her drawings. She wondered if he realized that. "I'm glad you think my work will fit Rage. I'm looking forward to drawing the comic."

"I think we can make this work," Michael replied with a smile.

Lacy took a sip of her soda. Now came the tough part. "Since we seem to be on the same wavelength for this issue of Rage, maybe we should discuss the next one."

Michael looked at the young girl sitting in front of him. "I've given a lot of thought to the Sateeena idea. I think we can make it work. With the understanding that Rage and Zephyr and JT are still the primary superheroes, at least for the time being. We'll see how the readers respond to Sateeena before we give her a big role."

Lacy smiled. "That's a very fair way to approach this. I agree totally."

Now it was Michael's turn to smile. "Then let's get to work on the rest of this issue. We can figure out what we're going to do with Sateeena next time."

Lacy pulled out her pencils and sketchpad. "I'm ready when you are."



*****



"Justin, I have something to discuss with you," Brian began as he stripped down to his briefs and joined Justin under their warm thick duvet.

"Look, I know tomorrow is going to be a pain in the ass but I'll make sure I pack everything that you'll need for your demonstration," Justin said thinking he was making a preemptive strike.

"Thank you, Sunshine," Brian snarked, "but that's not what I was going to discuss. Besides, if I get in a bind I'll turn the art demo into how I create an ad. Maybe I can dazzle the kids with my advertising genius."

"Bri, they're a bunch of four and five year olds," Justin gave snark as good as he got snark.

"And just who is the target of all those Happy Meal ads? And those old disgusting Cabbage Patch doll ads?"

"Oooo, I had one when I was a kid!" Justin blurted out then blushed a crimson red as Brian burst out into laughter.

"Sorry, Sunshine, but you must have been the cutest thing ever known to man with your perky little nose, big blue eyes and your coleslaw doll under your arm."

"Asshole," Justin grumbled as he smacked Brian's chest. Brian quickly grabbed the marauding hand and brought it to his lips. "Anyway, it was Molly's doll," Justin mumbled. Brian kissed his lover's temple as he drew the younger man closer.

"I was only teasing," Brian reassured his spouse.

Justin nodded against Brian's chest. "What did you want to talk about?" Justin returned to the original subject matter.

"Rage. There's a nasty rumor floating about on Liberty that you're going to kill off Rage and JT. Zephyr is going to be the main man, so to speak."

"What the fuck?! How the hell did that happen?"

"Don't know. Ted told me about it today and now all those weird looks I've been getting lately make sense."

"What weird looks?" Justin turned to see Brian's face more clearly, as Brian told him about the funny looks his was getting on the avenue and how all conversation stopped when he graced the diner.

"Well, that just fucking sucks," Justin exclaimed. "So how do we stop the rumors?"

"Why should you stop them?" The adman in Brian spoke. "It's all free publicity. When the next issue comes out, it'll be sold out before Mikey unpacks the boxes."

"Do you really think so?"

"Am I not the greatest adman there ever was?" Brian asked smugly.

"Certainly the greatest one within earshot," Justin retorted.

"Why you little...." Brian pounced on his snarky, witty spouse, tickling Justin until he cried uncle then loving Justin until he fell asleep thoroughly sated.

Brian gently cleaned his partner as he slept with a satisfied smile on his lips.



*****



"Hunter?" Curtis said quietly in the dimmed light of the drop-in center.

"What can I do for you, Curtis?" Hunter and Nick were doing the overnight shift.

"Can we find out about Alfred?"

"Alfred?"

"My cat," Curtis answered.

"Okay, I'll see what I can arrange but don't you think..."

"I know," Curtis sighed. He couldn't keep hiding. Curtis had to face up to his crimes. "Mr. Hunter, I should talk to the police," the boy said sadly. He was ashamed of his crimes.

"Very good. I'm proud of you. Let me see what I can arrange. We do this together. I won't leave you and you may be surprised at the outcome."

"I hope so, sir. What I did was wrong. I know that and I'm prepared to pay for my crimes but I'm afraid." Curtis slumped, looking so small, so much younger than his mere fourteen years.

"I know you're afraid but I promise, whatever happens, you won't have to go back to the Hardigans. I promise you, Curtis. I have a lawyer looking into your situation and the police seem to want to resolve this without you going into detention. We'll work it out."

"But I cut that last guy!"

"No you didn't. The knife connected but didn't cut. However, he is a very prominent businessman. What he says goes around here, but I think I can convince him not to press charges," Hunter said confidently.

"How can you be so sure?" Curtis was still skeptical.

"He and I are just like that!" Hunter stated as he held his hand with his middle finger crossed over his index finger. "Now, off to bed with you. We're going to be very busy over the next few weeks."

Hunter made sure Curtis was tucked in for the night. He secured the clinic, made a few more notes then went to bed.



*****



"Lindz, can I ask for a favor?" Since their vacation, the girls were getting along so much better. And JR was practically beaming with pride as both of her moms went to the day spa with her. The girls were snuggling together in bed.

"If I can, sure."

"Brian..."

"What about him?" Lindsay asked quickly, trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

"I have something to discuss with him and I'm not sure how to approach him."

"What do you have to discuss?"

"It's confidential," Melanie stated, knowing Lindsay wouldn't buy it. "I really shouldn't be discussing this with anyone."

"He's not in trouble, is he?" Lindsay recalled the time when Brian's poor judgment nearly cost him his career. He reluctantly came to Melanie for legal advice and representation.

"No, he's not. But his actions may affect one of my clients. I want to discuss the matter before it escalates."

"Then approach him honestly and professionally. Make an appointment to see him. He's not unreasonable, Mel."

"I see that now. I still think he's an asshole but he's a reasonable asshole. I'll call over to Kinnetik in the morning." Melanie sighed softly. Like Daniel she would have to have faith and brave the lion's den. Whatever it took to help her client.

"Sounds like a plan," Lindsay purred as she lovingly caressed her spouse's tummy, working her hand lower.

"Maybe I should make a habit of being nicer to Brian if it gets me this reaction."

"Mmm, maybe you should," Lindsay murmured as she began to make love to Mel.



*****



"Would you like to come in for a nightcap, Seth?" Jennifer asked as they approached the door of her townhouse.

They had had a lovely evening. Dinner had been long and slow and delicious. They had lingered over drinks afterwards, until they knew the restaurant was ready to close. Seth had taken a long route home, so it was already late. Jennifer expected Seth to say they both better get some sleep because they would be up early the following morning. That was often his reply to her question about a late night drink.

"I'd love another drink," Seth said, surprising Jennifer, and also pleasing her. She wasn't ready for the night to end just yet.

"Come in," she said with her most alluring smile.

Seth followed her inside and they removed their coats. Jennifer headed for the bar as Seth said, "Jennifer."

"Yes," she replied turning to give him her full attention.

"There's something I need to say to you."

"I have something to say to you too, but I think I need a drink first."

"Okay," Seth agreed knowing that he could use a drink too.

Jennifer poured them each a drink and then joined Seth on the sofa. They each took a sip of their drink before turning to look at the other. "Seth." "Jennifer." The words came out almost simultaneously and they both chuckled.

"What do you want to tell me?" Jennifer asked.

"Um … maybe you should go first."

"I think you should go first," Jennifer replied sweetly.

"I … um … I don't quite know how to say this," Seth stammered. "I usually don't have any trouble talking to you." He smiled weakly at Jennifer wishing the floor would open up and swallow him.

"Maybe talking's the problem," Jennifer said seriously. "Oh, fuck it, kiss me."

She set down her drink, as did Seth who swept her into his arms and kissed her in a way that he had never done before.

"I want you," Seth whispered against her ear as the kiss left them both breathless.

"I thought you'd never say those words," Jennifer whispered back. "Let's go." She stood and held out her hand.

"Are you sure?" Seth asked as he claimed the offered hand.

"I've never been surer of anything, Seth Harris. Come to bed … immediately."

Seth smiled a blazing smile that reminded Jennifer of her son. She quickly banished that thought, as she tugged on Seth's hand and they ran up the stairs giggling like two teenagers.


Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 10


Jennifer blinked and stretched luxuriously. She turned to look at the man sleeping in her bed. She smiled happily. It had certainly been worth the wait for last night to come. Seth was a wonderful lover, so kind and gentle and masterful. Jennifer felt a little shiver course through her at the delicious memory.

She shifted slightly so she could prop herself up on her elbow and look at the handsome profile of the man lying next to her. Her hand reached over without any conscious thought and gently traced the length of Seth's cheek.

"Morning," Seth whispered as his eyes fluttered open.

"And a very lovely morning it is too," Jennifer replied with a bright smile.

"Only topped by the magnificent evening we had last night."

Jennifer grinned. "It was pretty awesome, wasn't it?" she giggled.

"Like totally awesome," Seth said with a laugh. "And I totally mean every word of that."

"Thank you."

"It's me that should be thanking you," Seth said honestly.

"I waited a long time for last night," Jennifer stated. "I knew it would be special, and you made it very, very special."

"I might have another something special left in these old bones," Seth replied.

"You think so?" Jennifer's eyes twinkled with delight.

"When you look at me like that, I know so." Seth rolled over toward Jennifer finding her lips and kissing the woman he now knew he loved beyond all else.



*****



"You ready for school, Dada?" Bree asked as she finished her cereal.

"I guess so," Brian replied in a very unhappy tone.

"Don't you want to come to school with me?" Bree asked, a hurt sound in her little voice.

"I want nothing more than to come, Squirt," Brian told her, trying to sound like he really meant it, and still getting his sarcastic crack in. He could think of nothing worse than spending the morning with a bunch of four year olds, telling them about art when he knew nothing about art. Justin should be the one going to this damn fiasco, not him.

"I'm ready, Dada," Bree said sliding down from her chair.

"I just bet you are." Brian reluctantly stood up.

Justin came back into the cottage. He was bundled up against the cold having carried some of his canvases out to the SUV. "I think you have everything you'll need," he told Brian.

"Everything but you," Brian said trying to do his version of puppy dog eyes.

"You're going to have to work on using the eyes if you really want results," Justin laughed.

"Has anybody told you that you have a cruel streak?"

"You, on many occasions."

"Well, you do."

"Has Bree got her lunch?" Justin asked ignoring the comment.

"Here, Daddy," Bree said holding up her Dora the Explorer lunchbox.

"Then let's get you bundled up. It's freezing out there today. Is Patrick ready?" Justin asked as he put on Bree's coat and boots.

"I'm here, Uncle Justin," Patrick said coming in from his side of Edna's Treasures.

"Then you're good to go," Justin said with a cheerful smile.

"Yeah, good," Brian griped. He headed for the front door.

"Don't I get a kiss goodbye?"

Brian turned and blew a sarcastic kiss to his husband, that is, if there is such a thing as a sarcastic kiss.

Justin chuckled. "Have a good day at school … all of you."

"Bye, Daddy," Bree called as she followed her father who was trudging dejectedly out to the SUV.

Brian strapped the two children into their car seats and climbed behind the wheel. He looked out the window at Justin who was standing still bundled up in his coat and boots at the front door. Justin waved and Brian gave him the finger. The last thing Brian saw before he swung the SUV into the lane was the bright smile on his mean husband's face.

When they arrived at school, Bree ran to tell her friends about her Dada coming to speak to the class. Brian began carrying into the school the canvases and other supplies that Justin had put in the SUV. Bree's teacher met him in the hall and showed him where to set up his equipment.

By the time Brian had everything inside and set up, the bell rang to bring the children into the school. Brian took a deep breath and braced himself for the onslaught. He was standing by the blackboard at the front of the room surrounded by canvases and Justin's and Bree's easels. The children came quietly into the room. That surprised Brian as he had expected them to be full of energy and bursting with questions.

"Why are they so quiet?" Brian asked as he walked back to help Bree off with her coat.

"Miss Sharma says that we need to be calm and think about what we're doing. She says we learn a lot more that way. It helps us to listen," Bree explained.

"Good for Miss Sharma."

Bree hung up her coat and went to her seat in the classroom. Several of the children gave Brian inquisitive looks, and a couple said hello to him.

One little boy came over and looked Brian up and down. "Are you a real artist?" he asked.

"Are you a real student?"

"Yes," the little boy said confidently.

"Then I guess I'm not a real artist. My partner is."

"Why isn't he here?"

"Damned if I know," Brian said pointedly.

"Miss Sharma, Mr. Kinney said 'damn'."

"I'm sure that was just a mistake, wasn't it, Mr. Kinney?" Miss Sharma said, giving Brian a rather disapproving look.

"Very big mistake!" Brian sighed. He tried to look contrite.

"I think we're ready to begin."

"If you say so." Brian waited as Miss Sharma took attendance and did some other stuff he was sure teachers had to do every day.

"Now, class, you all know that Bree's father has brought some of her father's paintings to school today. Mr. Taylor is a very famous artist, but he couldn't be here today. So, Mr. Kinney, Bree's other father, has agreed to speak to us about art and its importance in the world. Mr. Kinney works with art in his advertising business. Am I right, Mr. Kinney?"

Brian walked back to the front of the room. He knew that bravado had got him through a lot of unpleasant situations in his life. He could pull this off, if there was a fucking god somewhere that wasn't out to get him.

"Yes, Miss Sharma, I use art in my business. Thank you for the charming introduction." He smiled at the teacher with his best sexy smirk. She seemed impressed. 'Yes,' he thought, 'I can do this.' He cleared his throat. "Perhaps Bree would come up here with me. She wanted to show you all how her father and her paint at their easels at home."

"How can she show us when her father who paints isn't here?" a little girl asked.

"I can show you," Bree said confidently walking to her easel.

"How come you have two fathers?" another child asked.

Brian blanched and wanted to grab Bree and run for cover. "Um…" Brian began. "Bree has two fathers because…"

"Because I'm very lucky," Bree said finishing Brian's uncertain beginning. "I have two daddies and they are the bestest daddies in the whole world."

Brian felt his eyes fill with tears. What had they done to deserve this special little girl? He was so proud of Bree at that moment that he could have burst.

"Bree has two fathers who love her a lot," said a voice from the back of the room.

Brian looked up to see Justin removing his coat and advancing to the front of the classroom. "What are you doing here?" Brian asked. He couldn't help but smile at this unexpected turn of events.

"Bobby dropped me off. We talked about this and it didn't seem fair that you had to do this all by yourself."

"I was … coping," Brian said with a smile.

"I bet you were, but I could leave if you want to do this on your own," Justin offered mischievously.

"It will be much better with you here," Brian added quickly.

"Of course it will," Justin laughed. "So," Justin said and turned to face the class, "these are some of my canvases. This one is almost done." He pointed to a partially finished picture of Brian. "I thought I'd add some more to it if my model will sit for me."

"I'd be delighted, O master artist!" Brian chuckled.

The class giggled and watched with interest.

"Positions," Justin said as Brian sat down in Miss Sharma's chair, assuming the pose he had used in the picture Justin had brought. Thank God he wasn't naked in this one. "You ready, Bree?"

"Ready, Daddy."

"Then this is how we mix paint," Justin started to explain. He squirted some paint from the tubes he had sent with Brian onto his palette and Bree's. "We take the colors we want and blend them together like this." Justin demonstrated as he mixed a flesh color. "You can add more of one color or change to a different one." Justin continued to show the children.

Bree mixed her own version of a color and they each applied some to their own canvas.

"Would someone like to mix some paints?" Justin asked the class.

All hands went up. Justin picked a boy and a girl to try mixing a color. That was the beginning of a fun morning for the students and for Justin and Bree who taught the other students about what colors when mixed together would make new colors. The students experimented and Justin added some strokes to his picture of Brian. Brian sat happily in Miss Sharma's chair watching the universe unfold as it should.



*****



"Mr. Hunter, sir, I'm not so sure about this," Curtis was worried and very afraid. "Are you sure they're not just going to arrest me?"

"Let's go through this again so that you're absolutely certain." Hunter was trying to put the scared boy at ease. Karen and Melanie were waiting for Curtis in Hunter's office. Curtis was huddled on his bed in the dorm room.

"Karen is your advocate. She and Melanie Marcus, who is your lawyer, will be taking you to see the family court judge. We'll be seeking temporary custody until a permanent foster home becomes available, or even adoption. Sergeant McGinty and Officer Rodgers along with a mutual friend, Carl Horvath, will also be there to take down your statement."

Curtis' eyes grew wide with fear.

"Don't worry, these are the good guys. Matter of fact, they've been speaking with all of your victims and so far, none of them are going to press charges. As long as we can guarantee that your 'crime spree' is over and you're back in school."

"What about the last guy?"

"I've been avoiding him for now but we're not that worried. Ms. Marcus is going to speak with him personally. So, are you ready to meet your lawyer?"

Curtis nodded hesitantly. He still wasn't all that convinced that he wouldn't land in juvenile detention, jail, or worse, back at the Hardigans. That would be a fate worse than jail ever could be.

"Mr. Hunter, what about Alfred?"

"Let's meet with Melanie and the police first. Then we can deal with Alfred."

Curtis got up off the bed. Following Hunter closely, he went out to face his past crimes and future life.



*****



"Hector! Are you ready yet?" Raph called into the kennel part of the veterinary clinic.

"Keep your shirt on. Geesh, you'd think you were meeting my mother, the way you're fussing."

"Hector, I've met your mother, and believe me, I would not be fussing, as you put it. You know she doesn't approve of me."

"I know, babe, but lucky for you, I approve of you." Hector smiled angelically at his life partner. "I have Matty all ready to go. What time did Hunter say we should get there?"

"About three. Hunter wants Curtis to get through the rough stuff first. Hunter and Curtis' advocate want to assess how he handles himself when he gives his statement to the police and meets with Melanie. I'd be more afraid of Melanie," Raphael grumbled.

"No worries, babe. Considering what this kid has survived, he can handle anything."

"Hector, but can he handle gay parents?"

Hector, who was placing Matty the cat into a well cushioned cat carrier, paused. He hadn't thought about that. The thought that Curtis could be straight never occurred to him.

"I guess we'll find out."

Hector and Raph bundled themselves up against the elements then left for the Jason Kemp Center.



*****



"The judge wants to meet with Curtis and get his statement regarding the Hardigans," Melanie informed the officers. They appeared to be pleased.

"You'll be going with him?" Carl asked Mel and Karen. "Who's the judge?"

"Yes, and it's Judge Schultz. We have a nine AM appointment for tomorrow. I want all our ducks in a row before we meet her," Karen replied.

"Judith Schultz?" Melanie asked.

"Yes, I've worked with her before. She's the number one supporter for child rights. She also knows how I feel about the Hardigans. If we can shut them down, that will be a bonus. But most importantly, Judge Schultz is fair and truly wants the best for children," Karen explained.

Sergeant McGinty and Officer Rodgers got up to leave. Carl wanted to stay to see Raph and Hector.

"Carl, let me know how it goes," McGinty asked Carl.

"Will do," Carl said as he shook the officers' hands. "I'll let you know how it all turns out." Hunter showed the policemen out.

"What just happened?" Curtis was overwhelmed. He did not fully understand what was happening and the possible new direction his life was about to take. Karen was about to explain when Hunter came back into the room. He wasn't alone.

"Alfred!" Curtis shouted as he jumped up from his chair and ran to the big kindly looking man who was clutching the carrier that held Matty. "Can I hold him, please?"

Curtis' face became alive as Raph gently took the almost well cat out from the carrier. Raph carefully placed the cat into Curtis' arms.

"Is he all better?"

Hunter squatted down in front of Curtis and his cat.

"Curtis, before you ask about the cat, don't you have something to say to the men who cared for it?" Curtis was startled; his grandfather had taught him better than that.

"I'm sorry, sir," Curtis said to Hunter then stood to address Raph and Hector. "My name is Curtis Samuels, sir," the boy said as he slowly extended his hand to Raph. "Thank you for making Alfred better."

Raphael took the boy's hand in his, noting how small it looked in comparison to his. The boy was nothing but skin and bones just like the cat.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Curtis. My name is Dr. Raphael Angles and this is my partner Hector Sanchez."

Hector moved forward to shake hands with Curtis.

"I have a few important things to tell you about 'Alfred.' First, Alfred is a girl; we've been calling her Matty. Her fur was rather matted and infested so we had to shave most of her. She's still rather weak and is on a special diet so we can't let her stay with you just yet."

Curtis' face fell with disappointment.

"However, once all your business with Melanie is completed, you may come and visit with Matty anytime. She'll heal much faster with you loving her."

"She's a girl?" Curtis asked with disbelief. Everyone in the room chuckled.

"I'm afraid so," Raph confirmed.

"But she's going to be okay?"

"She'll be fine, a few more weeks at the most."

"And I can help make her better?" Curtis asked hopefully.

"Yes, as long as Hunter and Ms. Marcus give the o-k, you're welcome at our clinic anytime. And Curtis, I mean through the front door. No more sneaking around in alleys."

Curtis looked suitably abashed. "Yes, sir," Curtis said, his face heating up with embarrassment.



*****



Justin and Brian were driving back to Edna's Treasures. Justin looked very smug. His art presentation and demonstration had gone very well.

"You could wipe that self-satisfied grin off your face, you know," Brian told him.

"Why should I? I saved your ass."

"I think it was Bree who saved both our asses," Brian reminded him.

"Yeah, that answer of hers about being lucky to have two fathers was…I don't know what word to use to describe it."

"I was kind of at a loss for words too," Brian admitted. "She took my breath away. How did we ever bring up such a special little girl?"

"She's a product of both of us, and she's truly a little miracle."

Brian nodded. "I can't believe that someone I've had such influence over could turn out like that."

"Of course, they would," Justin begged to differ. "You're just as special as your daughter."

Brian smiled. "And we're both what we are because of you."

"Thank you for that. I do like to think I had something to do with it."

"More than something … everything."

Justin grinned. "I don't feel much like painting this afternoon. I was thinking we might do something together."

"Oh, like what?"

"There's a big brass bed and lots of lube involved," Justin winked suggestively.

"Ah, that kind of together. I could be persuaded."

"You need to be persuaded?"

"No, not really, but I always enjoy your coaxing," Brian smirked.

"Like when I say, 'Wanna fuck?', and you jump my bones?"

"Exactly like that."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Justin asked.

With a big grin on his face Brian wheeled the SUV into the lane at Edna's Treasures.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 11




Brian rolled off his husband and glanced at the clock. "I have to go pick up Bree in an hour."

"Then we have time for one more," Justin said with an evil grin as he gave Brian's nipple a twist.

"Cut that out. I'm getting too old to spend all day in bed with a young twink."

Justin smiled. "I thought when you got old you spent all day in bed anyway."

"Alone in bed, not fucking someone's brains out."

"Suit yourself. If you want to be alone, I'll leave." Justin threw back the covers.

"Oh no you don't!" Brian said grabbing Justin before he could escape. He kissed Justin's cheek and held him against his body.

"I love you," Justin whispered.

"Backatcha, twink."

"Am I still your twink?" Justin asked.

"You'll always be my twink."

Justin smiled as the phone rang.

"Who the fuck could that be?" Brian asked.

"Probably my mother."

"No, she only calls when we're mid-fuck. This person has slightly better timing."

"Answer it," Justin said.

"What?" Brian demanded into the phone in his usual cordial manner.

"Brian, it's Melanie."

"What the fuck do you want?"

"Thank you for that gracious greeting," Melanie said sarcastically. "I guess I must have interrupted you mid-fuck."

Brian felt his head start to throb. He hated when she sounded so much like him. "No," he replied. "We were done."

"Ew! TMI."

"Look, you called here. I didn't call you."

"Point taken," Melanie said contritely. She didn't want to antagonize Brian when she needed his cooperation. "I need to talk to you about something."

"Today?"

"Yes, today would be preferable."

"Can we do this over the phone?"

"I'd feel better about this if we did it in person."

Brian realized this was his first real conversation with Melanie since the girls had returned from St. Augustine. He wondered if this was about the repairs to the house. Brian sighed. "Is this really necessary?"

"Yes."

"Ask her to come to dinner," Justin suggested. He had his ear against the receiver.

"Dinner?" Brian repeated.

"I'd love to have dinner with you. Where?" Melanie asked leaping at the chance to get Brian alone.

"Justin suggested that you come out here for dinner with us."

"Oh?"

"We promise not to lace the food with arsenic," Brian said sarcastically.

"Great! But I need to talk to you alone."

"I'll set aside some quality time just for you and me," Brian said with a smirk.

"I can hear that smirk, Kinney."

"I don't doubt that for a moment."

"I'll be there around six so I won't be too late getting home afterwards."

"Okay." Brian hung up the phone. "Great, we're going to have a lovely evening with my favorite person."

"Yes, we are," Justin told him. "So, get up and let's make something delicious."

"What happened to another fuck?"

"Later, big guy."

"Yeah, later," Brian mumbled as he threw off the covers and got out of bed.



*****



Melanie arrived to delicious smells from the kitchen and a dashing looking Brian Kinney who greeted her at the front door.

"I don't think I've ever been here for dinner … or anything … without Lindsay," Melanie commented.

"There's a first time for everything," Brian snarked.

"Dinner's ready, so we can sit right down," Justin said. "Bree, come say hi to Aunt Melanie. Dinner's ready."

Bree ran down the hall and into Melanie's waiting arms. She kissed her "aunt" on the cheek when Melanie bent over to give her a hug. "Daddy made his famous chicken and dumplings," Bree stated knowingly.

"Sounds great," Melanie said as they sat down to eat.

They ate amidst pleasant conversation much to Brian's surprise. Melanie told them all about St. Augustine, and Brian and Justin marveled at how similar their trip had been to the girls'. Bree informed Melanie about her fathers going to school with her and how they had instructed her class about art. Everyone was very civil and on their best behavior.

After Bree was put to bed, Justin brought coffee to the living room. "I thought we could talk in here."

"I should probably talk to Brian alone," Melanie said hesitantly.

"If this is about the renovations to your house, I know all about them. Brian did what needed to be done," Justin said defending his spouse.

"I didn't come about the renovations, but now that you bring them up, I have a check for you," Melanie said pulling a check out of her pocket. "This is a start to paying you back."

"You don't need…"

"I do need," Melanie said emphatically. "I want to thank you for looking after things while we were gone. We really needed to reconnect on our vacation, but I intend to pay you back for all you did."

"Thank you," Brian said pocketing the check. He wasn't going to fight with her over this. He knew how proud Melanie was of taking care of her family. "I hope the trip accomplished what it was intended to do."

"It did," Melanie replied with a happy look on her face. "And thank you also for the champagne and chocolates."

Justin raised an eyebrow, but Brian merely tipped his head in acknowledgement.

"Now, for the real reason I'm here." Melanie proceeded to explain about Curtis and what had happened to him over the last few months. Brian was about to interrupt a couple of times, but when Melanie raised her hand to stop him, Brian waited until she was through with her complete explanation.

"You want me not to press charges?" Brian asked.

"That's fucked!" Justin protested. "That kid robbed Brian and almost cut him. He deserves to be punished, not get away with that Scot-free."

"I know what he did was serious," Melanie said calmly. "But he's basically a good kid who's already been punished enough in life. The foster family he was with are criminals themselves … and abusive. We're going to try to go after them. Curtis deserves a break for a change."

Justin shook his head. "I don't know."

"I'd like to meet the kid," Brian said.

"Will you at least consider not pressing charges?" Melanie asked. "If I can tell the judge that, things will go a lot easier for Curtis."

"I'll think about it. It's not like I really missed the money he stole."

"He used it to pay Raph and Hector to look after that sick cat he found somewhere," she explained.

"I know, but…" Brian reacted.

"Brian, he's still a criminal. He could have really hurt you," Justin felt compelled to say.

"Arrange a meeting with Curtis," Brian said. "I want to think about this."

"You got it," Melanie averred. "Now, I better get home. Thanks for dinner."

"You're welcome," Justin said. He escorted her to the door. "You know I don't like this."

"I know, but I think you'd like Curtis if you met him."

Justin shook his head. "I doubt it." He closed the door behind Melanie and walked back into the living room where Brian seemed to be lost in thought. "You okay?" he asked.

"Just thinking."

"I know you'll do what you think is for the best, but remember that this Curtis could have really hurt you."

"I'm not going to do anything hasty, Sunshine."

"Good. What are you going to do with Melanie's check?"

"I think Hunter could use another donation to the center."

"I knew you'd say something like that, and I know you've already decided not to press charges against Curtis," Justin said as he slid onto Brian's knee.

"You know that, huh?"

"I do."

"And what are you going to do about it?"

"Fuck your ass off."

Brian laughed as Justin captured his lips in a kiss.



*****



Brian hadn't slept very well that night even with his ass thoroughly fucked off by his very talented spouse. Brian hadn't felt this agitated since he experienced those nightmares that sparked the clinic project. Brian eased himself out of bed, softly reassuring Justin, cooing him back to sleep. Brian grabbed some clothes then quietly snuck into his bathroom. After checking on Bree and leaving a note for Justin, Brian left the cottage and drove to the Pitts.

"Damn, even after all these years and all that I've taught him, he still can't seem to make a decent cup of coffee," Brian groused, as he threw away the dregs in his cup, shut off the coffeemaker and began to wash the pot out to make fresh. As the coffee dripped he shoved some bills in the large donation jug that was on the counter. Taking a pen out of his pocket, Brian endorsed Melanie's check over to Hunter and the clinic. Brian sat at one of the chairs in the kitchenette to sip his coffee.

"Much better," he mumbled around his cup.

"Who are you?" Curtis asked. Since his grandfather's death and not having a permanent home, Curtis had become a light sleeper.

"I might ask you the same," Brian snarked with an arch to his eyebrow.

Trying to be polite, Curtis introduced himself. "I'm Curtis Samuels, sir," Curtis said as he extended out his hand.

"Brian Kinney," Brian replied as he shook the small hand.

"How did you get in? The door was locked."

"I have a key."

"Are you the owner?"

"Of sorts, I own the property and the bath house next door. My brother renovated the building and the theater and bowling alley as well."

Brian recognized Curtis as his assailant. He wasn't sure if Curtis recognized him. It was dark that night and Brian looked more like a businessman. Today he was wearing his favorite jeans, a grey sweatshirt and leather jacket. He looked more like a tough guy rather than a businessman.

"So, you one of Hunter's kids?" Brian was trying to draw the boy out.

"I guess so. He found me on the street. I-I ran away from home and ..."

"And?"

"And I did some bad things, very bad things. But Mr. Hunter he took me in and gave me a real bed to sleep on and I'm not hungry and I'm gonna get my cat back soon and..." Curtis suddenly recognized the man sitting in front of him. He started to shake then took off toward the front door.

Brian quickly scrambled from his seat to catch up to the fleeing bandit.

"Whoa there, pardner!" Brian said as his scooped up the skinny boy with one arm.

"Put me down!" Curtis yelled.

"I will, when you promise to stand still and not run. Besides, it's freezing outside. You won't get far in your pajamas." Curtis kept squirming, Brian tightened his hold.

"Brian, what the hell do you think you're doing?" Hunter came out of his office to witness his number one benefactor and closest friend holding Curtis like a sack of potatoes in his arms, not a child. However, Hunter wisely did not interfere. Curtis would have to explain himself to Brian's satisfaction. And Hunter knew that Brian would never harm one of Hunter's charges.

"Caught this young-un trying to make a break for it. Thought you'd appreciate me stopping him before he ran off into the storm dressed only in a set of your pj's."

"Kinney, you're an ass..."

"Uh, uh, uh, not in front of the lost boy," Brian snarked, but did not release his grip.

"Curtis," Hunter addressed the hapless boy who was hanging limply near Brian's waist. "I think it would be best if you assured Brian that you won't run. It's too cold."

"Yes, sir. I promise, Mr. Kinney, I won't run away," Curtis promised.

"It's about fucking time. You're getting heavy." Brian said with a grunt as he placed Curtis on the floor, right side up.

Hunter steered them both back to the kitchen. The coffee smelled good and Hunter wanted to make some hot chocolate for Curtis.

"Brian, what the hell are you doing here? It's five o'clock in the morning!"

They all sat at the small table in the kitchenette.

"I had an interesting dinner guest last night and she told me about your meeting with the judge this morning. She asked me to think about not pressing charges." Brian got up to pour himself more coffee.

"And how was your dinner with Mel?" Hunter asked with a playful smirk on his face.

"Definitely an experience I would not like to relive anytime soon. At least not without the appropriate amount of alcohol."

"Brian, it couldn't have been that bad."

"No, it wasn't. She was actually kind of human."

"And your decision?"

"You have no idea what this is going to cost me." Brian took the check Melanie had given him the previous night then stuffed it into the donation jar. He glared at Curtis with one of his most powerful Rageian stares. "Don't fuck this up, kid. You have one hell of a team looking out for your interests. Don't disappoint them or you'll have to answer to me."

"Thank you, Mr. Kinney!" Curtis said as he threw himself into Brian's arms, mustering up the strength to hug the taller man.

"You won't regret this, Brian." Hunter beamed a dazzling smile.

"I'm regretting it already."

"Why?"

"Because I have to answer to Justin!"

Brian gave Hunter a kiss to the side of his head, patted Curtis on the top of his, grabbed his leather jacket then left the clinic. As Brian drove off, Hunter and Curtis laughed and jumped with happiness.



*****



"Keep your fucking shirt on!" Melanie shouted as she was trying to tie her robe without tripping over the sash as she stomped down the staircase to answer the door. Seeing a familiar silhouette in the window, Melanie was less than pleased.

"What the fuck do you want, Kinney? It's barely six in the morning!" Melanie grabbed Brian's arm to get him inside. The wind was freezing and she was barely dressed.

"Oh yuck, Mel, is that all you wear to bed?" Brian gave an exaggerated shiver at the state of Melanie's lack of clothing.

"Well, if you weren't so rude and impatient I would have put on my ball gown."

"Covering your twat in lace won't make the image of that go away," Brian snarked as he pushed past her to get to the kitchen. Mel looked down and realized she wasn't wearing any underwear. She took the time to tie her robe up properly before facing off with Brian.

"What do you want at this ungodly hour?" Melanie asked as she watched Brian rummage through the cabinets looking for something to eat.

"Cereal would be nice." He said as he held a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other. Melanie started the coffee, then took out some cereal and milk for the asshole.

Mel watched as Brian poured some cereal into his bowl and added some milk.

"You're not going to join me?" he asked Mel with a full mouth.

"You're a pig, you know that, Kinney," Mel said as she poured them both some coffee. "Why have you come to harass me?"

"I just left the clinic and I figured that if I have to be awake and Hunter and Curtis have to be awake then....oomfph!"

Brian couldn't finish his statement. He found his arms full of a one hundred pound grateful lawyer kissing his face. His cereal and spoon went flying.

"Brian, would you mind telling me why you're kissing my half naked wife in MY kitchen?" Lindsay stood at the door, glaring. Brian blushed, shrugging his shoulders helplessly. Melanie just kept giggling like a school girl as she flung her arms around Brian's neck and bounced in his lap.


Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 12




Lacy had just finished an early shift at the diner. She hurried down the street towards Michael's comic shop. She clutched her jacket close to her chest against the biting wind. Her messenger bag was firmly held under her arm so the wind couldn't catch it. She only had a little while until she needed to catch her bus to PIFA, but she wanted to show Michael what she had done. If he liked it, she would be pleased. If he didn't, then screw him. She knew this was some of her best work, and dammit, she was proud of it.

She pushed open the door of the comic store and quickly stepped inside closing it against the bitter wind.

"Michael?' she called when she didn't see him anywhere in the store.

Michael came out of his office. "Lacy?" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I have something to show you," she said proudly. "I redid the drawings the way we discussed." She pulled out her sketchbook and laid the new sketches out on the counter.

Michael studied them carefully. He realized that Lacy had truly listened to what he had asked her to do. The drawings were exactly what he wanted them to be.

"These are … great!" Michael said enthusiastically.

Lacy let out the breath she had been holding. Maybe this could work after all. "You like them?" she asked wanting further reassurance.

"I love them. They're perfect!"

Lacy smiled. "Thank you. That means a lot to me."

"You did a great job," Michael repeated. He pulled Lacy into a warm hug. "I appreciate that you listened to what I asked you to do. Great work!"

Lacy smiled broadly as she stepped back from Michael. "I have one more thing to show you." She pulled another paper out of her sketchbook. "This is what I think Sateeena should look like."

Michael took the drawing and studied it. Sateeena wore a short costume of bronze colored clothing, an interesting contrast to the red of Zephyr and the midnight blue of Rage. Her outfit consisted of shorts and a top that had a high neckline and no sleeves. She had a slim but muscular body. She wasn't at all voluptuous like so many other comic females. She was rather androgynous in appearance which is what they had discussed. She wore a bronze colored mask that covered her eyes and gave her a look of mystery. Her hair was short and blond, but not as blond as JT. Long boots came up her legs and ended mid thigh. She was a very striking looking figure.

"She looks … very interesting," Michael said.

"That doesn't tell me very much," Lacy countered. She waited as Michael continued to stare at the drawing.

"I think she's exactly what we discussed her to be. You did a great job on the concept, and I think we have the makings of a very productive partnership."

"Thank you," Lacy said, and she meant that sincerely.

"I'm really looking forward to working with you, Lacy."

"That means a lot, Michael. Thanks again." Lacy smiled and shook Michael's hand. "I have to go catch a bus for school. I'll talk to you later." Lacy gathered up her sketches and was gone before Michael had a chance to say anything else. He watched her through the door of his shop. She ran to the corner and leapt onto the bus, just getting there in time before it pulled away.

Michael smiled to himself. He had himself quite the partner.



*****



Jennifer awoke in Seth's bed. He was leaning over her tickling her nose.

"What are you doing?" she laughed.

"Looking at the most beautiful woman in the world."

"I'm going to get a swelled head if you keep saying things like that."

"Then you'll soon have a gigantic head, because I don't intend to stop."

"Oh Seth, you are such a romantic. I'm just a woman. I make mistakes and I'll piss you off from time to time."

"Then I agree to being pissed off as long as you're around."

"You make this sound like a long term commitment." Jennifer watched Seth's face turn white. "You want it to be long term, don't you?" she asked quickly. They needed to settle a few things.

"I thought that was what you wanted to." Seth looked like some part of him had been stomped on.

"It is what I want," Jennifer declared. "Since I've met you, I can't imagine being with anyone else."

Seth's face relaxed and he smiled at her. "Neither can I," Seth proclaimed.

"So what are we going to do about this?" Jennifer asked holding her breath.

"I think we should get married."

"Married?"

"Isn't that the next logical step?"

"But we've only known each other for a couple of months."

"I feel like I've known you forever," Seth declared.

"I … I feel the same way, and it scares me."

"Scares you?"

"I don't want this to end, but I had one marriage that I thought was a good one until it all went to shit."

"That doesn't mean that ours would."

"How can you know that?"

"Because I'm not Craig Taylor, and I doubt that you're the same person that was married to him."

"I'm definitely not that mousy little housewife," Jennifer stated.

Seth chuckled. "Somehow I knew that. And I don't believe you were ever a mousy little housewife."

Jennifer smiled up at Seth. "But … I'm not sure I want to rush into a marriage, any marriage."

"I thought I had been taking it slow," Seth said with a frown.

"You did the courting thing just right. And sleeping together has been wonderful, but leaping into marriage just seems too much too soon."

"Then what if we get engaged instead? We can stay that way as long as you want. Long enough for you to decide if I'll make better husband material than your ex."

"I already know that you will."

"Then what do you say? Will you marry me, Jennifer Taylor, and be engaged to me as long as it takes for you to decide that I'm the only one you want to marry?"

"Yes, Seth, oh my God, yes!" Jennifer flung herself into Seth's arms and let him kiss her until she stopped worrying about where they were headed. Then he made slow, passionate love to her until they both had to get up and go to work.



*****



"I'm scared, Miss Melanie," Curtis said hesitantly. They were waiting outside the hearing room for their time in front of the judge. Curtis knew his life would change whatever the judge decided. But he also knew that he didn't want to go back. He wouldn't go back to the Hardigans, to the abuse and fear, to living on the streets. He knew he couldn't face any of that again. He had found warmth and comfort and peace at the clinic. That's where he wanted to stay … with Karen and Hunter and Nick. If only the judge would let him do that.

"You don't need to be scared," Melanie replied confidently. "We're going to do what's best for you. That's what we all want, the judge included."

Curtis nodded but he couldn't stop the knot of fear that clutched his stomach.

"Curtis," Karen said. "I'll be there to speak for you. If there's anything you have questions about just tell me and I'll try to get it cleared up for you."

"Okay," Curtis replied. His voice was small and weak.

"It's going to be fine," Melanie said squeezing his shoulder.

"I wish Alfred was here."

"You mean Matty?" Karen asked with a smile.

"Yeah, I guess I should call her Matty. I was sure she was a boy."

"Matty will be fine and so will you," Karen replied.

Curtis entered the judge's chambers along with Karen and Melanie. The judge, a stern but matronly looking woman, signaled that they should all take a seat. Curtis had a sinking feeling that his case wasn't going to go as easily as he had hoped.

"Mr. Samuels," the judge began as she looked up over the file in her hand that contained everything known about Curtis Samuels in his short fourteen year life. "Mr. Samuels, it says here that up until two years ago, you were an 'A' student, have an interest in biology and were a member of your school's book club."

Curtis nodded.

"It also says here that you've robbed at least six people at knife point. Your last victim, a Mr. Brian Kinney, was almost injured."

"Your Honor, if I may...," Melanie tried to interject.

"No, you may not, Ms. Marcus. I can read. Mr. Samuels, you appear to have many friends and advocates. None of your victims want to press charges, including Mr. Kinney. I have affidavits from all the victims. I also have statements from Dr. Raphael Angles and Hector Sanchez."

Curtis' eyes grew wide. He had no idea that his victims made statements. Curtis couldn't help the tears that began to flow from his eyes.

"Your Honor," Karen pleaded. The judge handed Karen a box of tissues.

"Curtis, may I call you by your first name?" the judge asked softly.

"Yes ma'am."

"Tell me, in your own words what happened."

It was over two hours later when Curtis, Karen and Melanie emerged from the judge's chambers. Before they left, Judge Schultz motioned for Karen.

"Karen, when things settle, I want the office of Child Services and the DA's office to reopen their investigation into the Hardigans. Notify the Treasury Department or the IRS, someone. The more they keep cashing those support checks for a non-existent child, the more rope they'll have to hang themselves. I don't want those people to remain in a position to ruin any more children's lives."

"Yes, ma'am," Karen said happily.

"Send back Ms. Marcus," the judge ordered.

"Your Honor, you wanted to see me?" Melanie asked as she knocked then entered the chambers at the judge's 'come in'.

"Yes, Ms. Marcus. Does the boy know that Dr. Angles and his partner are thinking about fostering the boy and of possible adoption?"

"No, ma'am. He doesn't. Things were so unsettled; we thought it best not to cloud the important issues. Curtis knows what he did was wrong. He wants to make amends and atone for his crimes. His victims even approved Dr. Angles' plan."

"Ah, yes, to work off his debt at the vet clinic. Very well, keep me informed and when they're ready, set up a meeting. I'd like to meet this doctor and his partner."

"Yes, ma'am!" Melanie left the judge's chambers very satisfied with the outcome. An outcome due in part to Brian Kinney.



*****



Brian arrived back at Edna's Treasures to find Justin painting in the sun porch. He stopped in the doorway to watch his husband create. He loved when Justin was absorbed in his craft. He watched the deft strokes Justin was making with the brush, the way he mixed a new color and added the little details that made his paintings so special.

"Sunshine," Brian said softly.

Justin stopped and turned with a big smile for his husband. "Hey. Did you get your issues taken care of?"

"Yeah, I'm not pressing charges."

"I knew you wouldn't."

"How did you know?"

Justin sighed as he wiped off his brush. "As much as I was worried about you and wanted the mugger punished, I knew that Curtis, being a kid, would grab your heartstrings."

"I don't have heartstrings," Brian protested.

"Says the guy who started the Jason Kemp Center in the first place."

"Well…" Brian began but he really didn't know how to refute what Justin had said. Maybe he did have heartstrings. Brian shuddered at the thought.

Justin smiled as he set down his brush and palette. "It's okay to have a soft side, Brian. Come into the kitchen. We'll have some coffee and you can tell me all about it."

"Okay," Brian agreed. Justin didn't seem too angry with him, and that was definitely a step in the right direction.



*****



"So I can stay at the Center?" Curtis asked. He wanted to be absolutely sure that he had understood what the judge had said.

"That's correct," Karen said as she walked beside the boy. She could swear he was a foot taller than when they had entered the hearing room.

"The judge was very impressed with you," Melanie said. "Good manners go a long way to convincing the judge that you mean what you say."

"I do mean it," Curtis said with a smile. "No more stealing or mugging. And I get to stay at the Center, right?" he asked again.

Melanie chuckled. "You get to stay there for now. Maybe someone will offer you a foster home or even adoption."

Curtis frowned. "Why would anyone do that? I'm too old. People want babies to adopt. And I don't want any more foster homes," he added adamantly.

"It wouldn't be a place like the Hardigans," Karen said gently. "We won't let that happen again."

"The Hardigans are going to have their own problems now that the judge has launched an investigation," Melanie informed them.

"They deserve it," Curtis stated. "Maybe the other kids who were there will be able to go someplace better too."

"We can hope," Melanie agreed as they walked out of the courthouse.



*****




"Hello?"

"Justin, it's Mel, is Brian home?"

"Yeah, sure, hold on." Justin made a face at Brian as he held the phone smothering it into his chest. "It's Mel," Justin whispered.

Brian rolled his eyes then stuck his tongue out in the general direction of the phone and of Pittsburgh.

"Take it," Justin whispered louder.

"No!" Brian whispered back, defiantly.

"Wuss!" Justin whispered again then steeled himself to speak to Mel. "Um, he just went to the bathroom, Melanie, can I take a message.

On the other end of the line, Melanie rolled her eyes then flipped her phone the bird.

"Tell the asshole that I hope he's constipated. But also tell him, thank you. The judge is allowing temporary custody of Curtis to Hunter and the clinic. I'll email Brian all the details later. And tell him I hope I didn't mess up his lap too much this morning, me not wearing any panties and all. Bye, Justin." Melanie snapped her cell phone off then burst out laughing.

Justin set the phone down on the counter then turned to face his most innocent looking spouse who was about to take a sip of coffee. Justin's eyes narrowed.

"Brian, something you want to tell me about this morning?"

"Um, like what? I went to the clinic to meet Curtis and Hunter and then I went over to Lindz."

"Uh huh. Did you by any chance see Melanie?"

"I seem to recall she was there."

"You seem to recall," Justin stated, keeping his voice calm and level. "And do you recall that she was half NAKED!" Justin shouted as he closed the gap toward his spouse.

"Now, Sunshine," Brian sputtered as he began to back pedal. "Justin, Sunshine, you know Melanie has nothing, not one thing that could possibly tempt me."

Brian stumbled over a nearby stool then made a break for their bedroom. Justin was hot on his heels.

Brian couldn't hide so he laid out on the bed ready to take his punishment.

"Playing the sacrificial lamb gets you nowhere, Kinney!" Justin pounced to tickle his spouse into submission. Brian laughed until his sides ached and the tears ran freely from his eyes.

Giving Brian a moment to catch his breath, Justin rolled to his side.

"Was she really not wearing underpants?" Justin asked with an exaggerated shudder.

"Yeah, just her robe and t-shirt. Oh shit!"

"What?"

"The t-shirt."

"What about it?"

"It was old, very old."

"Yeah, so?"

"Remember I told you that when we were in college, Lindsay would sometimes sleep in my t-shirts?"

"Yeah...oh you don't think? No. Really?" Brian nodded. "EIW GROSS!!!!" They both said together then laughed again until neither could breathe.


Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 13




"I wonder how Curtis' hearing went," Raph said to Hector as they finished cleaning up after vaccinating Mrs. Rotondo's dog.

"I think it must have gone all right or we would have heard something," Hector replied.

"I'm surprised they haven't called us one way or the other."

"Yeah, it would be nice to know."

"I guess I could always call them," Raph said thoughtfully as he wiped down the table.

Hector dumped the paper towels he had been using in the trash bin and turned to look at his partner. He understood how important having this boy in their lives was becoming to Raph. He hoped his lover wasn't setting those hopes too high. He hated the thought that it might all go crashing to the ground when the powers that be found out that they were gay. There was still a lot of reluctance to let gays adopt or foster. And then there was Curtis himself. Neither of them knew what Curtis' attitude towards gays might be. Maybe it would be better to get this over with in a hurry.

"Raph, why don't you call and see what happened," Hector suggested.

"I will." Raph walked into his office with the intention of placing a call to the clinic. That was when the bullshit button went off in the waiting room. "Shit!" Raph reacted heading out to see who was there. No one was scheduled for at least fifteen minutes.

Hector followed behind Raph. As they arrived in the outer reception area they were both surprised to see Hunter and Curtis standing there.

"I love that thing!" Hunter laughed indicating the bullshit button.

"You never fail to use it when you come in," Raph chuckled. "Look who's here!" Raph added enthusiastically looking directly at Curtis.

When Curtis made no move to answer, Hunter said cheerfully, "Just us happy custodians of teenage boys."

"Does that mean the hearing went well?" Hector asked with a broad smile.

"It was awesome," Curtis said deciding finally to speak. "The judge said I can be in Hunter's custody and stay at the center and I won't go to jail and I can pay back the people I took money from by working here. And I really want to see Matty."

Hector and Raph had never heard Curtis say so many words all at once. Neither had Hunter.

"I thought Curtis deserved a reward, so I brought him over to see Matty," Hunter explained.

"And I could stay and help with the other animals … if you wanted me too," Curtis volunteered quickly.

"I think that would be an excellent idea," Raph stated. "If it's all right with you…?" he asked Hunter.

"Sounds like a plan. I need to get back to the clinic. How be I pick you up here at three, Curtis?"

Curtis' head bobbed enthusiastically in agreement. "Yes, sir."

Hunter chuckled. It wasn't usual to have his lost boys call him sir. He kind of got a kick out of it. "I'll be back at three. Maybe you guys can get to know each other a little better in the meantime," Hunter said with a wink for Raph. "You'll be spending a lot of time here to pay off your debt, Curtis."

"Yes, sir," Curtis agreed willingly. "Can I see Matty now?"

"Come with me, young man," Hector said. He guided Curtis back behind the reception desk and into the area where sick and recuperating animals were housed.

"He seems really enthusiastic about being here," Hunter said to Raph as soon as Hector and Curtis were out of earshot.

"Yeah, but Hector and I were just discussing what will happen when he finds out that we're gay."

"He knows I'm gay, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with that."

"Yeah, but that's not quite the same as living with us two gay guys," Raph replied uncertainly.

"If you want some advice, take it slowly. Let Curtis get used to you and Hector. He knows nothing about your interest in fostering or adopting him. Just let him get acclimatized here first before you press the matter."

"We will," Raph agreed. "Thanks for bringing him over."

"You're welcome. I hope that things will work out between you and Curtis. That kid could use a good home and some caring adults."

"That's exactly what we'd like to give him."

"Then it'll all work out for the best," Hunter said shaking Raph's hand before exiting the veterinary clinic. He really hoped it would work out the way Raph wanted. They were good people and so was Curtis.



*****



"So Curtis, how was your afternoon at the clinic?" Hunter asked the young man as Curtis met Hunter outside the vet clinic. They were about to drive back to the Jason Kemp Center.

"Fine," Curtis answered.

"Just fine?" Hunter inquired.

"It was good, real good. I like it there and Dr. Raph, he explained lots of stuff to me but..."

"But?"

"I miss school. I haven't been to school in months. I guess I missed a lot. Will I be left back?" Curtis asked almost heartbroken not to get promoted with his class.

Hunter thought a bit then whipped out his cell phone.

"Emm, you in the Pitts or up at the cottage. Great! I have a young man who needs a whole new wardrobe. Whoa! Calm down. He's only fourteen and it's for school, no clubbing clothes. Okay, meet you there in a few." Hunter snapped his phone closed then pulled out into traffic.

"Um, Mr. Hunter?" Curtis had no idea what was going to happen next.

"Don't sweat it. We're just going shopping for some new clothes."

"But, I don't have money."

"Not to worry. You're my responsibility; clothes are part of the deal. After we get you all accessorized, we'll go to Staples to pick up some school supplies. It's a little late now, but I'll call over to your school in the morning. Let's see if we can get an appointment with a guidance counselor. If we're lucky, we can get you back into class tomorrow."

"What about my job at the clinic?"

"We'll set up a schedule with Raph and Hector for after school and Saturdays. Here we are!" Hunter said enthusiastically as he pulled up in front of Torso. Emmett had long since left that establishment but Torso loved their former number one salesman. Emmett always brought in the customers and Torso was a JKDC supporter.

"Where are we?" Curtis looked out of the SUV to see the wild sign of Torso.

"Don't let the outside fool you. They do have normal clothes here. And some of Pittsburgh's favorite citizens shop here." Hunter and Curtis got out of the Cherokee to go into the shop.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" Emmett announced loudly as he scurried down the street, trying not to slip on the ice. "Is this a new member of 'our family'?" Emmett asked brightly.

"Yes, Emmett, this is Curtis," Hunter introduced the two. "And Emm, turn down the flames a bit, would ya? Let's not scare the kid," Hunter said softly.

Emmett smiled then reined in his enthusiasm just a tad. "Well, young man, I hear you need some new threads to get into school. I think we can outfit you," Emmett said as he opened the door to the store and ushered them in. "Now, let me get a good look at you..."

For the next couple of hours, Emmett enjoyed spending the center's money. And Hunter had fun watching as the money went to a worthy cause.



*****



"Hello?"

"Justin, it's Lacy."

"Hiya, Lacy! How's it going?" Justin could hear the rattling of plates and the diner noise in the background.

"It's good. I'm on a break. I just wanted to tell you that Michael and I have been getting along pretty well. He likes the sketches I've brought him so far and I think we might introduce the new character soon. Maybe not this issue but the next one."

"Lacy, that's great! I am so happy for you." The background noise was growing louder.

"I'm sorry, Justin, the dinner crowd is coming in. I gotta go."

"Go Lacy and I'll visit you soon," Justin reassured her.

"Thank you, Justin." Justin heard the chef's bell dinging madly, signaling that an order was up. "I'm coming, I'm coming, keep your shirt on!" Justin heard Lacy shout, sounding a lot like her other mentor, one Debbie Novotny Horvath.

Justin hung up the phone laughing then went back to helping Brian with dinner.

"What's so funny?" Brian asked his spouse. They had spent most of the day loving. Justin took the welcome break from his canvases. Now they were making dinner.

"Lacy, she sounds a lot like Debbie."

"Now there's a scary thought. Are she and Mikey playing nice?"

"So far so good but you know how Michael can get."

"Yes, all too well. Maybe I should pay a visit to my friend," Brian snarked a little.

"Maybe Rage needs to check on Zephyr," Justin said as he shifted his eyes to Brian.

"You mean check up on Zephyr."

"That too. Brian, I may not want to be directly involved in Rage but I'm not abandoning him either. I love Rage and I love how he's helped our community. I don't want that to change now that I'm stepping back a little."

Brian crossed over to his lover who was busy chopping a tomato. Without interrupting Justin's rhythm, Brian wrapped his arms around his spouse.

"Do you want to have Bobby go over your contract? He'll make sure your interests are protected."

"I don't think that's necessary, do you?"

"Justin, I love Michael, I've loved him for most of my life, but sometimes I don't trust him."

"Brian..."

"Justin, humor me. I'm having Bobby check over your contract, and tomorrow Rage is having a chat with Zephyr."

"Just make sure Zephyr's mother is nowhere near. Rage has no powers against her," Justin said as he finished putting their salad together. Brian nodded.



*****



Hunter and the newly decked out Curtis sat in the main office of the local high school. Hunter looked around remembering when he had first become a student at the same school. It was long ago, but little had changed. The head secretary had even recognized him. He shook his head at her surprised look when he gave her his name, confirming that he really was the student that had had his share of troubles at the school.

As he sat waiting to see the principal, he remembered the incident in the pool when he had cut his head and started bleeding. The ensuing uproar about him being HIV positive had cost him Cally and any hope of a normal life in high school. After that everybody knew, and he was treated like a pariah. He hated those memories.

But at the same time he remembered how Ben and Michael had stood up for him. They had done their best to fight the school and the homophobic attitudes that pervaded the place. Too bad you couldn't change people's minds with the force of your own will, like Rage was able to do.

"Mr. Montgomery," the head secretary said with a little grin, "Principal Carlson will see you now."

Hunter stood and so did Curtis. Hunter gave Curtis' shoulder a squeeze before leading the scared boy into the principal's office. Hunter had met the new principal of the high school a couple of times when he had brought boys from the Center to enroll there.

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Montgomery, Mr. Samuels," the principal said.

"Please, it's Hunter and Curtis."

"It's always nice to meet with one of our distinguished alumni."

"In a manner of speaking," Hunter said modestly.

"Well, you've done very well at turning around the lives of the boys you've brought here. The students who come to us from the Jason Kemp Center are focused and work hard to graduate."

"I hope I've brought another such student," Hunter said looking at Curtis.

"I very much hope so too," Mr. Carlson said. "I've asked the head of our guidance department to sit in with us. She should be here momentarily."

"That's good," Hunter said as they all sat down. "Curtis has missed a couple of months of school."

"I see. That could be a problem," Mr. Carlson replied. He looked thoughtful.

Curtis cringed. He had been afraid of this. They were going to flunk him in all the subjects that he had missed from the first semester and then he would have to do them all over again, even though he was sure he could have passed the exams.

There was a gentle knock on the door. A lovely African American woman entered. "I'm Elaine Washington," she said extending her hand to Hunter and then to Curtis.

"Ms. Washington is the head of guidance. We received a faxed transcript from Curtis' former school. She's been looking over Curtis' grades and talking to her counterpart at the other school."

Curtis stared at the beautiful woman who sat down next to him. He felt scared and worried. He wondered what his other school had said about him. It could be good or it could be bad, especially if Ms. Washington had talked to his math teacher. Curtis hated that guy. He had made Curtis' life a misery all semester.

"I have Curtis' marks here from the part of the term that he completed," Ms. Washington stated. Curtis held his breath. "You were almost an A student," she said looking into Curtis' eyes. "I bet if you had attended more regularly, you could have been an all round A student."

"Yes, ma'am," Curtis replied. He remembered all the days he had missed when the Hardigans had wanted him home to work or to look after one of the younger kids who wasn't feeling well.

"Curtis really wants to be back in school," Hunter interjected. "It was his idea to come here as quickly as we could get an appointment."

"That's very commendable," Mr. Carlson responded.

Curtis smiled to himself. Maybe he had earned a few brownie points. He hoped so because he wanted to get back to school. He wanted to make something of himself.

"Curtis," Ms. Washington began. "I've looked over your records as much as I can, until the actual file is delivered here in a couple of days. You seem like a smart boy. Am I right?"

Curtis shrugged. "I guess," he mumbled. He was afraid of what she might be getting at.

"You missed quite a bit of work … while you were on the streets. Would you be willing to try to make that up with some extra work if we let you start your courses for the next semester?"

Curtis sat up straight. "Yes, ma'am. I'm sure I could do that. I'd work really hard if I didn't have to repeat everything."

"That's what I thought," Ms. Washington said with a smile. "I think we can work something out."

"That would be … good," Curtis said cautiously. He didn't want to get his hopes up too much.

"We have to be careful not to overload Curtis," Hunter cautioned. "He has some public service obligations." Curtis made a face. "You know, at the vet clinic," Hunter reminded him.

"Yeah," Curtis said dejectedly.

"Do you think you can handle all of this?" Ms. Washington asked gently.

"I think so. I think Dr. Raph would let me do some homework when I'm not cleaning up or looking after the animals," Curtis said hopefully. He thought Dr. Raph seemed like a nice guy. Curtis hoped that what he had just said might be the truth.

"I think Dr. Raph might be willing to allow that … if you are conscientious when you're actually working," Hunter suggested.

"I would be, Mr. Hunter, I really would."

"I'm sure you will. I'll talk to Raph about this and let you know what he says, Ms. Washington. Raph might even be able to help you with math and science. He's a smart guy."

"That sounds like a good plan, Mr. Hunter."

Hunter laughed. "I can't break Curtis from calling me that. My name is actually Mr. Montgomery, Hunter Montgomery, but I prefer Hunter. I should have introduced myself."

Ms. Washington smiled. Curtis really liked her smile. "I should have made sure we knew each other's names," Ms. Washington apologized. "I just kind of jumped right in."

"I think we got a lot accomplished," Hunter replied.

"I have a tentative timetable for Curtis. Some classes are full, but I think these will meet all his requirements based on what he took last term." She handed Hunter and Curtis each a piece of paper.

Curtis looked over the courses. He wasn't repeating anything. Since he'd had math last term it wasn't on his timetable this semester. He'd have to make it up though or he'd be repeating it. There were a couple of science courses, an English and an art.

"I'm not very good at art," Curtis said with a frown. "Can't I take some computer stuff?"

"They're all full," Ms. Washington said. "Maybe next year."

Curtis sighed. "Okay."

"I know some people who may be able to help you in the art department," Hunter said casually.

"You do?" Curtis asked.

"Yep, and they'll enjoy doing it."

"Okay," Curtis said again. Everyone seemed to be trying to help him. Maybe things were actually going to work out.

"So," Ms. Washington said, "how be you come with me and I'll take you to science class."

"Okay," Curtis replied. He hadn't really thought they'd let him start today.

"No point in wasting another day," Mr. Carlson stated as Ms. Washington led Curtis to the door.

"I'll be here after school. Have a great day," Hunter informed them before they left the room.

"He seems like a good boy," Mr. Carlson said.

"He is, and it's through no fault of his own that he got into trouble. Anything you and his teachers can do to help him will be greatly appreciated."

"Of course," Mr. Carlson said standing and shaking Hunter's hand before ushering him out of the office.


Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 14




Life for Curtis seemed to be settling down. He was happy at school. Although he missed his old school, some of the memories associated with it weren't the greatest. His new school was closer to the Jason Kemp Center, so for now, it was the best place for him. With a lot of studying and hard work, Curtis was making up for lost time. Attending a short summer session was also discussed. Anything was better than going back onto the streets or back to the Hardigans.

Curtis' work at the clinic was very rewarding. Curtis had a way with the sick and frightened animals. Several of the vet techs began calling Curtis "Doctor Curtis" in part due his gentle way with the 'patients'. And that, even though Curtis was in no way related to Raphael, Curtis appeared to be so much like him.

"Can I take Matty home soon?" Curtis asked Raph with hope in his voice.

"I don't see why not but we'll have to clear it with Hunter. I'm not sure if pets are allowed there. We'll ask when he comes to pick you up tonight."

Curtis nodded and prayed Hunter would have no objections.



*****



"No! Absolutely not," Nick stated loudly.

"Why?" Hunter asked his lover. They were having dinner together, taking advantage of one of those rare nights when they were both off from work on the same night. "It's not like I'll be taking care of the thing. I don't think Curtis expects it. He'll be responsible for the littler box."

"Not good enough," Nick said as he slammed down a plate. "And where would you put it?"

"I don't know, the bathroom?"

"A communal bathroom. No!"

"I don't understand." Hunter truly had no clue. "Why are you so dead against it?"

Nick sat at the dinner table scrubbing his eyes with his hands.

"A poor choice of words," Nick muttered to himself then turned tear filled eyes toward his lover. "Baby, we've been together for how long? Almost ten years? And you've been healthy, so very healthy. We live clean and safe and we're discovering new treatments all the time. And I am so fucking lucky for the time we've had together. I will not allow anything to jeopardize that."

Nick held Hunter close, so close that the younger man was nearly sprawled across his lover's lap. Nick stood, taking Hunter along with him. Practically dragging Hunter to the kitchen then turning the burners down to low; Nick then walked his partner to the couch.

"Babe, have you ever heard of Toxoplasmosis?"

"Vaguely. A parasite that can cause birth defects."

"That's correct. Most people have been exposed and have built up a natural immunity but it can affect babies in utero. So they recommend that pregnant woman stay away from the litter box."

"Um, Nick, I'm not pregnant." Hunter tried to lighten Nick's mood. However, Nick wasn't going for it.

"But you are immune compromised. Toxoplasmosis won't give a damn that I love you more than life itself or that your dads love you. Or that you've practically single handedly cleaned up this part of town or that you've got Brian Kinney eating out of your hand. If you get infected, it could kill you. Please, Babe, no cat at the clinic."

Nick's plea struck home. Hunter hugged his lover tightly.

"Okay, I'll talk to Raph and Curtis; we'll work something out. I promise."

Nick clung to Hunter, their dinner time temporarily suspended.



*****



February in Pittsburgh was competing with December and January for the record of most snowfall and lowest temperature. Any hope for an early Spring was rapidly vanishing. But life went on.

"Hey Mikey!" Brian called out cheerfully as he entered the Comic Book Store.

"Brian!" Michael replied enthusiastically then leaned over the counter to give Brian a kiss. "What brings you here?"

"I don't know," Brian said nonchalantly as he picked up Rage and sat in one of the oversized chairs. Lacy's issue hadn't gone to print yet. Soon. "Can't I visit my oldest friend once in a while?"

"Anytime, you know that."

"I know, Mikey. But now that you mention it, there is something I wanted to discuss with you."

"If it's about Justin and his interests in Rage, our contract still stands. And Bobby did a great job negotiating for Lacy. Well, that's what Mel said, anyway. Lacy will get a nice chunk of change."

"That's nice, Mikey. She'll need it for school but that's not it. I've heard some nasty rumors and I need you to confirm or deny them for me, Michael."

"What kind of rumors?"

"The kind that says Rage and JT are dead and Zephyr is the new main man," Brian stated sternly.

"WHAT?!"

"You heard me, now I want to hear you."

Michael stepped from behind the counter to squeeze in next to Brian. "Bri, the comic is called 'Rage,' not Zephyr. And as much as I would like to see Zephyr save Gayopolis one fuck at a time, that job was always Rage's. Besides, I think there's no job better in this world than being Rage's sidekick and friend. Do you?"

Brian stared into Michael's eyes searching for the truth. Finding confirmation, Brian gave his friend a hug, then took Mikey to lunch.



*****



"Thanks for inviting me to lunch, Seth. I needed to get away from the office," Jennifer said with a sigh, as she sat down at the table where Seth was waiting for her.

"You know I always want to have lunch with you, sweet stuff," Seth said with a wink.

"Ahem," a voice said from above.

Jennifer blushed and looked up at the young man who was their waiter. "Red wine," she said decisively."

"Iced tea," Seth said with a smile.

The waiter grinned ever so slightly and went off to get their drinks.

"Are you trying to make me look like a lush?" Jennifer asked with a smile.

"Never! I haven't had the bad day you've had … obviously."

"And when did you start calling me sweet stuff?" Jennifer chuckled.

"I popped into Emmett's Place this morning. Must be the gay influence," Seth laughed.

Jennifer smiled. It wasn't every straight man who would feel comfortable in her world. Her ring of friends had changed so much since Justin had come out and Craig had left and she had got a job and Justin had got married and had Bree.

"Where did you go?" Seth asked her as the waiter set down their drinks.

"I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you," Jennifer said, reaching across to give Seth's hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm the lucky one. I love you," Seth said seriously.

"And I love you right back. Here's to us," Jennifer said with her wine glass raised.

Seth clinked his iced tea glass against hers and they each took a sip of their drink. "I … I've been wondering when you thought you might announce your engagement to the family," Seth said rather hesitantly.

Jennifer blushed. She had been thinking that they should make some kind of announcement. "I kind of like only the two of us knowing that we're engaged … and nobody else."

"You do?" Seth asked raising an eyebrow. "Are you ashamed of me?"

"What? Of course not! I think you're the best thing that's happened to me in a very long time. I just like the secret aspect of only us knowing about the engagement. I always liked secrets … until they became too real." Jennifer looked sad and shook her head slightly.

"What is it?"

"Secrets. I think I knew for a while that Justin was gay, that is, before he finally admitted it. I guess in a way I forced him to admit it. I had found some … things that made me pretty sure he was. I wonder if we had told Craig more gradually, more gently than the way he found out, if things might have turned out differently."

"You … you don't want Craig back, do you?"

"Hell no!" Jennifer laughed. "I was thinking about Justin's relationship with his father, not my relationship with Craig. That was over and done with a very long time ago."

"I'm glad to hear that," Seth said breathing a sigh of relief. "But what's sent you down this memory lane?" The waiter arrived to take their orders. After that was completed, Seth felt he still wanted an answer to his question. "Are you worried about what Justin and Molly are going to say about our engagement?"

"No, sweet stuff," Jennifer whispered, patting his hand once again. "I think they'll be over the moon for me."

"Then what is it?" Seth asked.

Jennifer sighed. "I don't want a big fuss."

"A fuss? Don't most women want everyone to ooh and aah? We still have to get you a ring by the way."

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm not most women."

"I noticed all right," Seth replied with another wink.

"Good, then you must have noticed that I try to stay in the background."

"Until something peaks your interest or gets you riled up."

Jennifer laughed and took another sip of her wine. "I knew there was a reason I wanted to have lunch with you. You always cheer me up, and you're absolutely right about things that are important to me … like you."

"I still get the feeling you're skirting around something. Tell me what's going on."

"You’ve met Brian … and the others," she began.

"Yes, and I like them. What's the problem?"

"I can see Brian and Justin trying to throw a big engagement party and who knows what they'll want to do for the wedding. It's all too much."

"They haven't done anything yet," Seth said reasonably. "They don't even know about the engagement … and you're worried about the wedding?"

"I guess I'm anticipating the worst."

"Would it be so bad if we had a big engagement party and wedding? I think I might like it."

"We just got over Molly's wedding."

"Yeah, I don't know all the details, but I understand it was quite something leading up to it."

"And you saw all the drama of the actual day."

"I seem to remember having a hand in some of your anxiety."

"Yes, you did, but you redeemed yourself later."

Seth smiled. "That's good to know."

"Would you really like a big engagement party?" Jennifer asked.

"I wouldn’t mind. I'm kind of proud that I've nabbed the sexiest lady in town."

Jennifer felt the color rise in her cheeks. "You are such a sweet talker," she cooed.

"That's why you love me."

"Among many other reasons," Jennifer said softly.

"I know. Let's beat them to the punch," Seth said suddenly as the waiter set down their plates.

"What do you mean?"

"Let's get Emmett to throw us the engagement party of the century."

"What? Are you crazy?" Jennifer asked appalled.

"Yes, crazy in love with you … and I want everybody to know it."

"Didn't I just say that I wanted to stay in the background?" Jennifer asked with a slight edge to her voice.

"How can you be in the background when you're the bride-to-be? You're going to be in the forefront, and I say, let's do it up proud."

"Do you really want this?" Jennifer asked.

"I do, but only if you want it too. It's your call."

Jennifer started to pick at her salad as she thought about what Seth had said. The idea of a pre-emptive strike appealed to her. She could invite only the people she wanted. She didn’t have to have any of her old "friends" who had abandoned her after Craig left. Or maybe she would invite them and show them the wonderful man she had found. They would be green with envy. A small smile started to play around the corners of her mouth.

Seth watched Jennifer's face as she ate some of her salad. He could see the wheels turning. He had learned to let her think things through once he had made his point. There was never anything gained by trying to pressure her or oversell what he was proposing. That's part of the reason he had waited so long to propose. He had been ready to do that the first week they were together. Patience had its virtues. He watched the little smile grace Jennifer's beautiful face. "What are you smiling at?" Seth asked hoping the answer would be a positive one.

"I can see some advantages to a big engagement party that we throw," Jennifer said slowly. "I was thinking about who I might invite."

"You can invite whoever you like and leave out the ones you don't want. Would Craig and Susan be on the guest list?" he asked with a wicked grin.

"Maybe," Jennifer admitted. She wouldn't mind Craig seeing her in her moment of triumph. "Yes, this engagement party idea has some merit."

"Shouldn’t we tell your son and daughter first?" Seth asked with a chuckle.

"I guess so," Jennifer said. "Come over tonight and we can call them."

"Shouldn't we do it in person?" Seth asked.

"You're right," Jennifer agreed. "Let's invite them for dinner. We can make the big announcement then."

"Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to speak to Emmett about some possible venues for our party."

"Don't jump the gun," Jennifer smiled. But some part of her was very pleased with Seth's enthusiasm.

"I'll just feel him out."

"Nothing would please Emmett more," Jennifer laughed as she immediately heard the double entendre of Seth's words.


Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

The Raging Storm

Chapter 15





"Hi, Mr. Hunter!" Curtis waved as Hunter's SUV pulled up in front of the vet clinic.

"Hey, Curtis, how was your day?"

"Great, um, we have a dinner invitation."

"We do?" Hunter asked as Curtis settled himself in the car.

"Hunter! I'm glad I caught you. Did Curtis ask you about tonight?" Hector asked.

"He was just about to."

"Raph and I would like to invite you, Curtis and Nick to dinner tonight at our house. About seven?"

"Sounds good, see you later, but Nick is working at the hospital tonight." Hector handed Hunter a scrap of paper with their home address and number before they drove off.

Curtis began to fidget.



*****



Minutes to seven Hunter and Curtis pulled up in front of a nice house not too far from the house that Michael and Ben shared. It was situated on a nice quiet street. Curtis thought it looked a little like the Hardigan's house but a lot friendlier.

"Hi, guys! Welcome to our home," Raph greeted his guests cordially. "Hector's in the kitchen doing something to a salad. For some reason he never lets me help." Raph laughed as he ushered them into the living room and took their coats. They all made small talk when Hector came out with a tray of vegetables and dip.

"What can I get you all to drink?" Hector asked as a good host should.

After a nice meal and a quick tour of the house, Raph and Hector offered a solution to the Matty situation.

"I realize sending Matty home to the Jason Kemp Center may not be the best place for her," Dr. Raphael, using his Vet persona, stated. "She needs a real home."

"And so does her owner," Hector added.

"We'd like to have Matty live with us," Raph continued as he and Hector smiled hopefully at Curtis.

"I don't understand," Curtis replied, very confused, looking toward Hunter for an explanation.

"Curtis, I can't have Matty at the clinic. Some of the others may be allergic and, well, the center is not the best place for her. She's still recovering from her illness. Raph and Hector are offering to take Matty in."

Hunter paused to see what, if any, reaction Curtis would make. Seeing nothing, Hunter continued.

"They also expressed an interest in being your foster parents. That is if you have no objections."

Curtis had that deer in the headlight look and Raph's heart began to sink. He knew this would all be too much for Curtis.

"I don't know, Mr. Hunter," Curtis sputtered. His head was spinning.

"Curtis, why don't we start out small. Matty has to leave the clinic. She's getting stronger and we don't want her exposed to sicker animals." Hector tried a different tactic. "You are welcome to visit her on your way home after school or after your clinic hours. And you are more than welcome to spend the weekends here. You'll get to know us and we'll get to know you. Then if you think this will work, we can petition the court to let us be your foster parents."

"But you don't know me and the things I did and..."

"Curtis, I think we do know you. You're basically a good kid who's had some very bad things happen to you. Now you're on the right road to making a better life for yourself and for Matty. Hector and I would very much like to be a part of that life. That is if you like us."

"I do like you but..."

"All we're asking is that you think about it, but I have to ask," Raph paused to phrase his question properly. "Does it offend you or frighten you that Hector and I are life partners?"

Curtis thought about it for a moment. He never knew anyone gay. At the Hardigan's they would talk anyone down that they didn't think was 'normal.' Which usually meant the rest of the whole human race. Curtis kind of thought Hunter was gay from the way he and Dr. Nick would look and smile at each other. And many of the kids that came to the center seeking help were gay. But Curtis never really thought one way or the other about it.

"I don't know what being life partner means," Curtis said honestly.

"Curtis," Hunter began to explain, "in this state gay and lesbian couples are not allowed to marry in the legal sense. We can file for domestic partnership and we can have commitment ceremonies. Some of us refer to our spouses as life partners. Raph and Hector are in a committed relationship just as if they were married."

"Do you have any questions for us?" Hector addressed Curtis.

"When did you know you were gay?" Curtis asked Hector.

"When I was about your age, maybe a little older," Hector answered honestly. Curtis looked at Raph and he nodded. "Curtis, several years ago I met a very kind, generous and beautiful person and fell in love. A few years ago we bought this house and had a private commitment ceremony here. We love each other and we have love to share. Don't answer now. Spend time with us outside the clinic and then decide."

"In the meantime, if you approve, Matty can come home with us," Raph added.

"Okay," Curtis said softly.

It wasn't much but it was a start.



*****



"Jason Kemp Center, how may I help you?" Karen answered .

"Karen? It's Melanie; I have some great news about Curtis. Can we meet for lunch?"

"Sure, it's quiet here, I can do lunch. Where?"

"The diner?"

"Yeah, that'll work; my cholesterol level is way too low anyway. Thirty minutes?"

"See you then."



*****



"Hi, Honey, what brings you here?" Debbie asked as Melanie walked into the diner and sat at the counter.

"I have a lunch date," she responded.

"That's nice, Sweetheart. It's so good to see you and Lindsay getting along so well lately," Debbie assumed.

"No, Deb, it's not that kind of date. It's business." Mel gratefully accepted a cup of coffee as Karen walked in. They shook hands then sat at a booth.

The two associates placed their orders then got down to business.

"So what's your news?" Karen was hoping it was about Curtis' benefits.

"I had a hell of a time cutting through all the red tape within the fire department's bureaucracy. It was so damned frustrating. I had to throw a lot of names around but I finally got it. I have a copy of the life insurance policy and survivor's policy of one Jerome Curtis Samuels. I also checked to see if Samuels had a will. I am very happy to say that Mr. Samuels had filed a will. Curtis gets everything. Right now it's all on hold because they lost track of Curtis."

"I'm surprised the Hardigans didn't try to get a hold of the money. They're usually smarter than that."

"I think they may have tried but you know how screwed up the system is. There was another boy with a similar name whose father died around the same time. He was penniless. I think the Hardigans thought that was their Curtis. Whatever the reason, the benefits and money are all there waiting for Curtis. I have all the paperwork ready, I just need the Center to sign off on a few things since you have official custody."

"No problem." Karen was very happy to help.

They were just about finishing their lunch when Carl came in.

"I'm glad to see you both," Carl said as he sat next to Melanie.

"What's up?" Karen asked.

"I heard from some of my buddies that work juvenile. The Hardigans are being arrested for a whole list of different offences ranging from child abuse to misappropriation of funds. They'll get them for littering if I have anything to say about it. We also found some nasty photos, boys and girls. And many of them look old. They've been at this for a long time. They're going down and hard. No kid will ever have to go through that horror again."

The girls reached out across the table to clasp hands as Karen burst into tears of joy. Carl slipped his big arm around Mel's shoulder.

"It's over, it's finally over," Karen whispered between sobs. Mel and Carl smiled broadly.



*****




"Brian?"

"What's up, oh master of social work?"

"We never got around to speaking."

"Ah yes, I do recall you wanting my advice on something but we got a little sidetracked. So what's it all about?"

"I was thinking about opening another clinic on the other side of town. There's a building, an old abandoned apartment house. We can use it for housing. Maybe John could hook me up with a carpentry school. We could teach the kids a trade. Something like that. What do you think?"

"Give me the address. John and I will check it out then get back to you."

"Thanks, Brian. You're a peach."

"So they tell me. Just answer one thing, why?"

"Because it needs to be done and there are kids on that side of town that need it to be done."

"Okay but promise me something."

"What?"

"Do not overdo it. You're healthy and I want you around for a long time. You'll be no good to those kids if you wind up sick from exhaustion. Promise me."

"I promise, Brian."

"Good boy. Now hang up and go save a kid."

"Yes, sir!" Hunter cut the connection then went out to 'patrol.'



*****



"Are you sure we have time to stop?" Justin asked as Brian headed down Liberty Avenue.

"Your mother knows I'm always late," Brian said with his tongue in his cheek.

"She also knows why you're chronically late," Justin smirked.

"You're the main reason," Brian told him.

"Sure, blame it on me."

"Don't blame Daddy, Dada. It's not good," Bree said sagaciously from her car seat in the back. They were on their way to Jennifer's for dinner with her, Seth, Molly and Owen.
"I'm not blaming him, Squirt. I was just teasing."

"Oh," Bree said with a frown. "Where are we going?"

"We're here," Brian said as he pulled up to the curb.

They all piled out, Brian releasing Bree from her restraints.

Brian opened the door to the comic book store and called, "Hey, shopkeep."

"Unca Mikey!" Bree screeched as Michael came out from behind the counter.

"There's my girl," Michael cried squatting down so Bree could run into his arms for a hug.

"I thought JR was your girl," Bree reminded him.

"Can't I have more than one girl?" Michael asked with a grin.

"'Kay," Bree agreed and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Is Lacy here?" Justin asked still in a hurry to get to his mother's.

"She should be here momentarily," Michael said. "I laid out the issue in the office. Go have a look.

Justin disappeared into Michael's office while Brian and Michael looked at each other.

"Is he going to be happy?" Brian asked.

Michael nodded, just as the door to the store opened again and Lacy rushed in.

"Sorry I'm late," she began. "I'm on a break from the diner so I can't stay long. Has Justin seen it yet?"

"Take a breath, young lady," Brian said sardonically.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous."

"Nothing to be sorry for. Go join Justin. You too, Mikey," Brian instructed. "I'll keep an eye on the shop."

"Me too, Dada," Bree offered.

"See, you couldn't be in better hands.



*****



A short while later Brian, Justin and Bree pulled up at Jennifer's.

"So, you're really okay with Rage?" Brian asked, even though Justin had spent the entire trip from the comic store telling his husband how good the next issue looked.

"I couldn't believe it, Brian. Some of the work was mine, and I could hardly distinguish what I'd drawn from what Lacy drew. I don't think the readers are going to have a problem when the next issue comes out. They won't know anyone else is drawing the comic unless they read the credits."

"Is that good for Lacy?" Brian asked unbuckling Bree.

"Not at this juncture, but I think we should let the readers see her work and accept it before we make an announcement."

Brian nodded as they walked up to the front door of Jennifer's townhouse. He had been happy to hear that Rage was still the main superhero. Nobody was being killed off. Justin was over the moon about the next edition, and he loved Lacy's drawing of Sateeena. Brian had to admit Sateeena was unlike any superhero he had ever seen before. He could hardly envision how she was going to be worked into the story, but Lacy had some very definite ideas about that.

Molly answered the door.

"You look good, Mrs. Brenner," Brian said appraisingly as he kissed her cheek.

"You too, brother-in-law dearest," Molly laughed hugging him back.

"Auntie Molly," Bree said having waited for her father to get finished hugging. "It's me, Bree."

"Hello, short stuff," Molly laughed bending down to kiss and hug Bree.

"Do I get one of those?" Justin asked as Brian took Bree inside to get her coat off.

"The biggest one of all," Molly told him giving her brother a hearty hug.

"You must have been practicing on your honeymoon. That was a bone crusher," Justin laughed.

Molly smacked him before taking his hand and drawing him inside so she could shut the front door against the cold air.

After all the hugs and kisses and greetings everyone sat down with a drink. Jennifer had hors d'oeuvres all set out. Molly and Owen told them all about their honeymoon, even though each of them had gotten bits and pieces of information over the phone. Molly had made an album of pictures that she used to recount their tales of love and adventure while they were away.

Brian watched Jennifer and Seth wondering what was up with them. He noticed the way they touched each other at every opportunity and leaned together to look at the photos. When Jennifer got up and called Seth to help her in the kitchen, Brian whispered to Justin, "They're doing it."

"What?" Justin reacted. The smirk on Brian's face told him the answer to his question. "They are not! Eiw! I don't want to think about that."

Brian nodded knowingly. "Trust me, they are."

"What are they doing, Dada?" Bree asked.

"Getting dinner ready, Squirt," Brian replied without missing a beat. "Eat your cracker and cheese. Dinner will be ready in a minute."

"Hungy, Dada."

"I know, Squirt."

"Dinner is served," Seth announced and everyone moved to the table.

There was more pleasant chatting. Brian had to smile as he watched Justin studying his mother and Seth trying to decide if Brian was right. Brian didn't have to decide. He knew what was going on between the two of them.

When Jennifer was ready to serve dessert, Seth opened a bottle of port and raised his glass in a toast. "I want to thank you all for coming here tonight. It's always lovely when family gets together. Since I don't have much of a family of my own, I like to think of you all as my family. Jennifer and I have decided to make that arrangement a little more permanent. We're engaged," he announced with a smile that threatened to split his face apart.

"I told you," Brian whispered.

Justin gave him an elbow before he smiled at his mother and Seth. "Then may I add a bit more to that toast. Here's to the happy couple." He smiled at his mother and Seth who beamed with pleasure that Justin was giving them his seal of approval. Molly leapt out of her seat to hug her mother and Seth. There were a few moist eyes for the next few minutes.

Finally everyone collected themselves, raised their glasses and touched them together, including Bree and her glass of Koolaid. They all nodded towards Jennifer and Seth in affirmation of this new step in their relationship.

"Wedding?" Bree asked hopefully. "I be the flower girl."


TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=970