Summer in the City by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Brian must make an extended trip to New York, so he takes some of the family with him.

Story #31 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 62321 Read: 44610 Published: May 04, 2017 Updated: May 04, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

19. Chapter 19 by SabinaThymeSunshine

20. Chapter 20 by SabinaThymeSunshine

21. Chapter 21 by SabinaThymeSunshine

22. Chapter 22 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Summer in the City

Chapter 1


“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“When are we going?”

“When school is finished.”

“Oh.  Are we staying for the whole summer?”

“God, I hope not.”

“Why Dada?”

“Because even though I love it there, I want to spend some quiet time right here, at home with you and your daddy.”

“Oh.  Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Can Gamma Joan come too?  We had fun together.”

“You remember?  You were only a baby.”

“I remember painting with Daddy.  I remember cupcakes and Gamma and Auntie Emm and a parade.  But I don’t remember other stuff.”

“You’ll remember more this time.”

“I know, Dada.  So can Gamma Joan come with us?”

“I’ll call her tomorrow and ask, but for now, it’s bedtime.”

“Okay, Dada.  Can Daddy read me a story?”

“Let’s go ask him.”  Brian picked up his daughter who was cuddling with him on the chaise in the sun porch.  Brian could hear his spouse putzing around in the kitchen.  “Justin, there’s a sleepy young lady here who requires a bedtime story from her Daddy.  Do you know a Daddy who is specially trained and adept at reading bedtime stories?”

Briana giggled at her Dada’s silliness.

“I think I may know a Daddy who is uniquely qualified for the job,” Justin quipped with a smile.

“Well, in that case,” Brian began, as he transferred their daughter into Justin’s waiting arms,  “I believe this young lady is yours.”  Brian gave Bree a kiss to her forehead and then one to the tip of her cute little nose.  “I love you, baby.  Sweet dreams.”

“Love you too, Dada.  Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Squirt.”

“Bri, I may be a while,” Justin said as he turned to bring Bree to her room.

“Take your time; I’m going to have a shower.  Meet you in our room, Sunshine.”  Justin’s smile transformed into his famous sunshine smile as he walked down the hall.

Brian quickly prepared a tray of tidbits and poured a couple glasses of brandy.  He took his goodies to the room he shared with his lover then hurried into the shower.


*****


It was early June of 2017.  Bree had a couple more weeks of school.  Kinnetik was on the verge of expansion.  Scott of Kinnetik Part Deux was expanding quietly, subtly, moving deeper into the southern and western states while Kinnetic N’rgy and Stacey were about to make a louder splash in the Big Apple.  Brian’s presence and talents were needed in New York.  Learning from his early experiences, Brian decided that Justin and Bree would accompany him from the beginning.  He did not want a repeat of the loneliness and misery he suffered the last time he was separated from his family.  So he and Justin were preparing for their trip, together.

“Hey,” Justin said as he stepped into their sanctum then stopped dead in his tracks.  Brian, clad only in a small towel, was draped languidly across their bed.  He was holding a brandy snifter, slowly swirling the amber liquid then taking a small sip.  Justin watched with fascination as the tendons and muscles in Brian’s neck flexed and relaxed as he swallowed.

Still standing by the door, Justin watched as Brian put down the snifter and picked up a small wedge of orange.  As Brian bit the wedge, a dribble of juice ran down his hand.  Justin nearly came in his pants as Brian’s tongue snaked out to lick the errant juice.

“You don’t know whether to fuck me or draw me, do you?” Brian drawled softly with an amused expression.  Justin shrugged and shook his head.  “Why don’t you join me,” Brian suggested.

Justin immediately secured their bedroom door then quickly stripped off his clothes.  His sneakers hit the floor with a thud; his clothes lay in a heap next to them.  Gingerly, Justin climbed up onto their bed.

Justin took in the sight of his lover.  At forty-seven, Brian was still the sexiest, most sensual man on the planet.  While most people felt powerless without clothes, Brian’s confidence made him even more powerful.  It’s said that clothes make the man; in Justin’s estimation, it was Brian who made the clothes.

Brian handed Justin his own glass of brandy.  Justin took several small sips, letting the smooth liqueur slide down his throat, making him mellow.  Brian pitted a ruby red cherry and fed it to his lover.  Justin tingled with sweet sensations.

Not in any rush, the lovers finished their brandy and most of the fruit.  Brian removed the tray then turned his attention solely onto Justin.  Long elegant fingers carded through Justin’s tresses.  Brian kissed his forehead, the stubble of Brian’s beard tickling Justin.  Since Brian ran his empire from home, he had allowed his beard and mustache to grow.  He never kept the beard for long but for the time Brian did, Justin enjoyed it.

“Brian,” Justin moaned as Brian kissed him deeply and thoroughly.  As their tongues met and explored, so did their hands.  Strong learned hands that knew where to apply pressure, where to caress and where to fondle.

“Gonna cum,” Justin whispered, his whole body on fire with the heat of desire.  

“Let go, Sunshine,” Brian murmured.  “Cum for me.”  Spurred on by his lover’s encouragement, Justin’s body arched up and he came.  Thick ropes of pearly white cum dotted the lovers.  Justin flopped back onto the bed.

“Mmm,” Brian purred as he dipped a finger into Justin’s cum and brought it to his lips.  “You are my sweet boy.”  Justin felt Brian’s words wash over him, as Brian covered Justin with his body.

“Make love to me, Brian,” Justin begged, spreading his legs so that Brian could lay between them.  “Love me.”

“Always, Justin,” Brian said as they kissed.  “Always.”


*****


“So what do you want to do?”

“I’d really like to have my own restaurant,” Emmett replied.  He and Drew were lying in bed.  They had been discussing John’s ‘Village Project’.

Drew smiled.  “Then what’s the problem?”

“I’m not sure I can do it,” Emmett said, screwing up his face.

“You can do anything, Babe,” Drew said reaching over to take Emmett’s hand.  Emmett’s toothy grin followed by a kiss to the cheek were Drew’s reward for those words.  “I love it when you say things like that.”

“I merely speak the truth.”

“And that makes it even better.”

“Emmett, I truly don’t understand what the problem is.  Sean practically runs Emmett’s Place.  You have very competent people looking after your party planning business.  They need you for your creative expertise, but it’s not like you have to be there every minute of every day.”

“But I’m not a chef,” Emmett said sadly.

“Were you thinking of cooking for the restaurant?”

“Yeah, why?  You don’t think I could do that either, do you?” Emmett replied.  He knew the whole restaurant idea was too much.  He should set his sights lower.

“I think you can do it if you want to, but I don’t understand why you would want to.”

“Huh?”

“Being chef in a restaurant means that you have to be there every night, cooking and slaving in the kitchen.  You would have menus and staff and ordering to look after.  How many hours do you think there are in the day?  I’d never see you,” Drew told his lover.

“See, I knew I couldn’t do it.”

“Why don’t you find the best chef available, someone who will cook the kinds of things that reflect the way you want your restaurant to be?  He would be in charge of the staff there and the ordering.  You could set the tone for the menus, but you wouldn’t have to be involved in all the day to day stuff.”

“Do you think I could use some of the great recipes I have?” Emmett asked with a cute little smile on his face.

“It would be your restaurant.  You could do whatever you want.”

“Like what?”

“I’d put those blue cheese and pear puff pastries as an appetizer.  You could serve your famous popovers.  Then you would need to look at fish, meat, vegetarian dishes, to decide the type of thing you want the restaurant known for.”

“I’d kind of like to keep the popovers for Emmett’s Place,” Emmett said shyly.

“Or serve them at the restaurant and tell the wait staff to inform the customers that they can buy them at your other establishment.”

“Establishment,” Emmett chuckled.  “I guess I am part of the establishment of Pittsburgh now.  Who would have ever guessed that the flaming homo from Hazelhurst would…”

Emmett didn’t get to finish his statement as Drew spread out on top of him and kissed him into incoherence.  When the kissing ended, Emmett said, “I’m going to do it.”

“I knew you were,” Drew chuckled.

“And you’re okay with it?”

“I’m more than okay.  In fact I was talking to John the other day about maybe opening a specialty sports shop in his complex.  I think I’m going to invest one way or another.”

“Your store would be right next door to my restaurant.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

“I love you, Drew Boyd.”

“That’s good, because I love you right back.”


*****


“What’s up?” Raph asked as he checked Curtis’ room.  It was late and the boy should be asleep.  He found Curtis’ eyes staring at him as he opened the door.

“I can’t sleep.”

“Why not?”

“I…” Curtis hesitated.  His hand scrubbed at Matty’s neck as he tried to explain what was wrong.  He didn’t think he had the words, and he was sure that Raph wouldn’t want to hear them anyway.

Raph listened to Matty purr.  It seemed loud enough to fill the room and it made Raph smile.  “What’s bothering you, Curtis?” he asked gently.

Curtis shook his head and stared at the wall refusing to meet Raph’s gaze.  “I’m not sure.”

“I think you are.  How be you sit up and tell me what’s going on?”  Raph sat down on the edge of Curtis’ bed.

Curtis slid up and propped some pillows behind his back.  Matty was bounced around so she stood, stretched and plopped down against Curtis’ leg.  Curtis’ hand immediately returned to the soft fur around Matty’s neck.  The purring began again almost immediately.

“She really loves you, Curtis,” Raph said with a smile.  “She’s turned into a lovely cat.”

“She always was a lovely cat,” Curtis said adamantly.  “She stayed with me when I was all alone.”

“I know,” Raph replied.  “You two belong together.”

“Yes, we do.”

“So, can you tell me what’s keeping you awake?

“You won’t like it,” Curtis said softly.

“Try me.”

“If … If I come to live with you and Hector … permanently, how permanent will that be?” Curtis asked.

“I don’t understand,” Raph said with a frown.  “Permanent is permanent.”

“And when I screw up, what happens then?”

“What makes you think you’ll screw up?”

“I will,” Curtis declared.

Raph stared at the boy.  He didn’t understand where this was coming from.  “I don’t see what screwing up has to do with being here permanently.  I guess everyone screws up from time to time.  I know I do too, although I try not to.  If it happens, we fix it and then we go on.”

“And if it’s really bad?” Curtis asked with tears in his eyes.

“Curtis, has something happened?” Raph asked, suddenly concerned about what he was hearing and its possible implications.

“No, nothing’s happened yet,” Curtis assured him.

“Yet?”

“Are you planning to do something bad?”

Curtis shook his head.  “No,” he mumbled.

“Is everything all right at school?”

“Yeah, it’s not bad.  Since Officer McGinty scared the bullies off, they’ve pretty much left me alone.  The kids know that I’m friends with Gus Kinney and that has helped a lot.”

Raph smiled.  He knew Gus was a good kid, and this just proved it.  “I’m glad you have Gus as a friend.”

“So am I.”

“So, you still haven’t told me what the problem is.”

“If I do something bad, will … will you send me back to foster care … to the Hardigans?”

“Good Lord, no!  What would ever make you think such a thing?  Hunter tells me the Hardigans won’t ever be able to have foster children again, and there are charges pending against them.  If all goes well, they’ll be going to jail.”

“Yeah, but I could be sent somewhere just as bad,” Curtis declared.

“You’re not going to be sent anywhere,” Raph stated clearly.

“How do I know that?  How do you know that?  I could do something that makes you really mad.  I could do something awful.”

“I don’t think that’s very likely,” Raph said with a smile.  Then his face sobered.  “You’re not planning to do something … awful, are you?”

“Of course not,” Curtis said with a frown.  “I just know that when I was at the Hardigans, I could do bad stuff even when I was trying to do good stuff.”

“You mean they would say you had done something wrong even if you were being good.”

Curtis nodded, an errant tear running down his cheek.  “It happened a lot.”

“And they would punish you?”

Curtis nodded, more tears following the first.  “They usually locked me in a closet.”

“What?” Raph asked in disbelief.

“They locked me…” Curtis repeated.

“I heard you, Curtis,” Raph said gently.  “I just couldn’t believe my ears.  How … how often did this happen?”

“A few times,” Curtis admitted, his voice barely audible.  He held onto Matty’s fur, causing the cat to squirm beneath his touch.

“That’s a few too many,” Raph declared.  “The Hardigans did this?”  Curtis nodded.  “I don’t understand how they could have been allowed to look after children.”

“They didn’t look after us.  They were mean.”

“You never have to worry about Hector and I doing anything like that,” Raph promised.

“I know,” Curtis said.  “I see how nice you are.  But…”

“But what?”

“I can’t go back there,” Curtis sobbed.

“You are never going back there.  You have my word on that,” Raph said tugging Curtis against his chest.  He felt the boy heave with sobs.  “I promise, Curtis.  No one is going to hurt you like that again.  I will never send you away.”

“Thank you,” Curtis sobbed and his arms went around Raph’s chest.  They clung to each other making silent vows about how the future would be different from the past.

Matty looked up, worried about the loss of Curtis’ hand from her fur, and the suddenly strange emotions swirling in the room.  She let out a pitiful mewl to get their attention, but neither of them noticed as they held onto each other.

 

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 2




“So when will you be leaving?” Joan asked her son.  Brian was up in his attic, wheeling, dealing and shoring up his plans.

“Probably the 17th, we’re driving.  We’ll take Justin’s Cherokee,” Brian answered.

“And when do you intend to come back?”

“The end of July, that’s if it all goes according to plan.”

“I’m sure it will.  You have a knack for it.”

“Thank you, Mother, I never thought...”  Brian was about to say that he’d never thought he’d ever hear compliments coming from his mother’s mouth that were specifically directed at him.  Brian caught himself.  “I’m sorry.”

“No, son, no need for you to apologize.  I never once complimented you or praised you on all the awards and merits you received in school.  I stupidly believed it was wrong to praise someone for doing what I believe was expected of them.  Children need compliments and encouragement.”

“I-um...”

“Brian, why have you called?”  Joan quickly changed the subject, sensing Brian’s discomfort.

“A certain young lady wants to know if her Gamma Joan would accompany us to New York.”

“Bree asked for me?” Joan said letting emotions seep though.

“Yes, she did.  Mom, she remembers.”

“But she was only a baby!”

“She was three.  She doesn’t remember all of it but she remembers having fun with you, and the parade....”  Brian paused because Joan was laughing at the memory of the Greenwich Village Halloween extravaganza.  “And she remembers painting with Justin.  Mom, if you’re with us I can relax knowing she’s in good hands.  I’ll need Justin with me; he always comes up with such great ideas.  And I need an ally against Stacey, the pushy little bi...”

“Brian,” Joan said sternly but with little sting in her tone.

“Fine.  But you have to admit, Stacey is pushy.”

“I’ll give her that, but then she has to be able to stand up to you and to live in New York and be in your line of work.”

“True.  So will you come with us?” Brian asked Joan hopefully.

“Yes, Brian, I’d be honored and happy to accompany you to New York and to be Miss Briana’s escort.”

“Good.”  Brian sighed with relief.  “We’ll confirm things later, but can we plan on you spending that Friday with us, and we can leave Saturday morning from the cottage?”

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

“Thank you, Mom.  Bree will be very happy.”

“I’m happy to help.  May I make a suggestion?”

“Sure.”

“Gus.”

“Gus?”

“Yes, Gus, your son.  Tall, handsome young man, with hair coloring and eyes just like yours … Gus.”  Joan was on a roll.  Brian tried for a comeback but found himself upstaged by his mother.  All he could do was roll his eyes and laugh.

“What about him?” Brian asked when he stopped laughing.

“Has he ever been to New York?”

“Yes, briefly.  We had a long weekend together a few years ago.”

“Then why don’t you ask his mothers if he can join us?  Briana will love it and I wouldn’t mind spending more time with my grandson.

“I will.  He’ll love seeing Jeff and Raymond.”

“I’m sure he will.”

“Thanks, Mother.   I’ll see you soon.”

“Thank you, Brian.  I’m looking forward to it.”  Mother and son cut the connection.

Brian sat back in his chair and smiled, marveling on how well his world had turned out.


*****


“Johnny-boy, it’s time for our meeting,” Gordon shouted over the construction noises.  John glanced down at his watch then nodded.  It was only five; they still had a few more hours of light yet and then the night crew would take over.  But John and Gordon agreed to hold daily meetings with their ‘crew’.

The crew consisted of their longtime experienced construction workers and their latest members, Hunter’s kids.  The kids that were hoping to make construction or architecture a career.  So every afternoon, the five o’clock whistle would blow and the formal class would begin.  Tonight’s class was being held in the shelter of the new car park that was constructed across from the apartment building.

“Gentlemen,” Gordon said loudly to settle his ‘students’.  “And lady,” Gordon added as he looked at the only female member.  Samantha or Sammie, as she preferred, was more interested in the designing end of the construction business and was almost joined to John at the hip.  But like John, she wanted to be knowledgeable of the tools it took to create what she designed and Sammie wanted to be able to use them as well.  “What have we learned today?” Gordon continued.

“That this construction stuff is fucking hard!” one of the kids snarked out loud to snickers and chuckles from everyone else.

“You’re right; construction is not the easiest profession one can choose.  There are so many variables to consider in any job, from the most simple such as erecting a child’s playhouse.”  Gordon paused as he recalled the stories John had told him about the Wendy house.  “To some of the more complex.”  Gordon was reminded of the accident John and Justin had, falling through the stage floor at the theater.

“We have to take into consideration the weather, the types of materials we’re using and the expertise of our people.  Then there are the other influences such as deadlines and budgets.  And above all, safety.  John and I can’t stress this enough.  We have a motto in our company, we do it right and safely or WE don’t do it at all.  No cutting corners, no rushing and no using substandard material.”

Gordon paused for effect then continued.

“Take out your books and turn to today’s lesson,” Gordon began.  As the formal part of the lesson was about to begin, Hunter’s kids took out their books and pens while the construction crew filed out to end their day.


*****


“John!” Danny called out.  He and Mikey were standing on the main street of the Village project.  John jogged over to greet his investors.

“What do you think?”  John asked as he indicated the surrounding site.  Danny and Michael had decided to open “The New Comic-BOOK Store” on the adjacent street next to the planned garden park.  The park would be the apartment’s ‘backyard’ and neighborhood garden with plenty of benches for people to rest and read.

“This is amazing,” Danny exclaimed as they toured the site.  The apartment was almost habitable, an old fashioned railway car type diner was already in place around the corner and small shops were popping up along both sides of the street, including Betsie’s flower shop with attached home.

“Yeah, I’m still surprised about all the interest we’ve gotten in the project.  It will boost the neighborhood’s economy but without congesting it with noise and pollution,” John said proudly.  “Come with me, I’ll show you the site for your store.”  John led Danny and Michael along one of the paths that would later be lined with solar powered street lamps.

“We’re trying to build ‘green’ here,” John commented as they stopped in front of the structure that would eventually become the bookstore.  It wasn’t going to be a large store, only two floors with the upper floor doubling as a reading room.  John had plans for a fireplace and a spiral staircase connecting the two floors.  The intent of the store was to cater to the mature reader and collector and to provide a quiet atmosphere to enjoy the books.  John appeared to have achieved his goal.

“When do you think the Village will be ready?” Michael asked as he looked around.

“We’re planning the grand opening for Labor Day; however, the shops should be up and running before then.  The diner is already opened for business,” John said with a smile.

“Already?” Michael asked.

“We gotta eat,” John quipped as he shrugged.  They all laughed.  “Come on, I’ll buy you guys a cup of coffee.”  John locked up the building then led the guys to the diner.


*****


“Kinney, what do you want now?” Melanie griped into the phone.

“I’m fine, thank you for asking, Mel.  How are you?” Brian said in a sickly sweet voice that could rot teeth.  Melanie snorted.  “Very lady-like,” Brian commented hearing the snort.  

“Brian, what do you want?  It’s getting late.  I want to go home and have dinner with my family,” Melanie said.  She was trying to keep her promises to Lindsay and the kids.

“Then I won’t keep you,” Brian said soberly.  Lindsay was very much in love with Mel and he wasn’t going to fuck any of that up for her.  “I only wanted to ask if it would be all right if Gus came to New York with us at the end of the school year.  Nrg’y is expanding; Justin and I will be going there in a couple of weeks.  Bree and Joan are coming.  If it all goes well, we should be back by the end of July.”

“I’ll talk it over with Lindsay tonight.  If it’s okay with her and Gus wants to go, it’s fine with me,” Melanie said sincerely.

“Thank you, Mel, have a good night,” Brian said as he ended his call.

“You too,” Melanie replied.

Brian sat back in his chair and again marveled at the day’s events.  He was planning a trip that included his mother and he just had a civil conversation with Melanie Marcus.  Would wonders never cease?


*****


“Hi, Brian, I just wanted to check a few details with you,” Stacey said over the phone.

“We’re planning on leaving on the 17th, so we should be there on the 18th,” Brian explained their tentative schedule.

“Okay.  Then I’ll start arranging meetings and assembling all the information you’ll need.”

“Good.  Is Ken there?”

“Yes, he just came in.  Would you like to talk to him?”

“Put him on.  Kenneth, how are you and Simon?”

“We’re good.  I hear we’re going to be graced with your presence soon,” Ken chuckled.

“I’ll be there with as much grace as I can muster,” Brian replied.

“I knew I could count on that.”

Brian laughed.  “I wanted to mention that I’m thinking of bringing Gus with me when I come to New York.”

“The boys will love that.”

“Will they be around?  They’re not away for the summer?”

“They’ll be here, although Raymond’s hoping to intern with an engineering company,” Ken informed Brian.

“Shouldn’t that be Jeffrey?” Brian chuckled.

“Raymond has a real aptitude for science.  It’s Jeffrey who’s into the arts.  He thinks he wants to be an actor.”

“An actor?”

“That’s today’s choice anyway,” Ken laughed.

“Haven’t they got their roles reversed?”

“You mean Raymond should be the straight one and Jeff the gay one.”

“Something like that.”

“We did our best to discourage stereotypes in this family.”

“Looks like you were very successful.”

Ken chuckled.  “Beyond anything we could have hoped for.  See you soon, Brian.”


*****


“Daddy, can I go to the Wendy house?” Bree asked.

“I can’t leave my painting at the moment, sweetheart.  I’m right in the middle of an important part.”  Justin continued to dab on the froth as the stream at the back of their property tumbled over the rocks he had just painted.  He had a clear vision of exactly what he wanted it to look like and he didn’t want to stop.  “Ask Dada.”

“He’s busy,” Bree sighed.  “I could take Beau.”

Beau raised his head at the sound of his name.  He looked over at the little girl and his tail gave a couple of thumps on the sun porch floor.

“Where’s Patrick?”

“He and his daddies have gone to town.”

“To town?”

“Harrisburg,” Bree supplied.

“Did they ask you to go too?”

“Yes, but I want to play in the Wendy house.”

“Can you wait a while?”

“No.”

Justin heaved a huge sigh.  “Okay, you and Beau can go out there, but no farther than the playhouse.  Hear that Beau?”

Beau thumped his tail before standing up and stretching.  He trotted over to Bree who patted him on the head.

“What are you going to do in the Wendy house?” Justin asked.

“I don’t know.  Play!”

“Okay,” Justin chuckled.  “You stay within sight of the sun porch and you mind Beau,” he instructed his daughter.

“I thought Beau was apposta mind me,” Bree said with a crinkle in her forehead.

“Not this time.”

Bree wanted to argue that point, but then she decided that she better take what she could get.  If she argued, her daddy might not let her go at all.  “’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said as she headed out the door with Beau right behind her.

Beau bounded around the yard getting some exercise.  Bree ran around with him for a few minutes.  Then she stopped and watched Beau as he continued to race back and forth.  He found a stick and carried it over to her so that she could throw it for him to chase.  She tossed the stick as far as she could and waited for Beau to fetch it back to her.

Justin watched them from the porch for a minute before concentrating on his picture once again.  He also filed away a mental note to sketch out a painting that would show Bree and Beau playing in the yard just as they were doing now.

It didn’t take long for Bree and Beau to tire of the game of fetch.  Bree headed for the Wendy house.  Beau trailed along with her.  Bree checked the soil of the plants in the flowerboxes on the Wendy house.  They could use a drink.  She returned to the sun porch and ran some water into the watering can like she had seen her Dada do many times.  She filled it right full and found she couldn’t lift it.  She tipped it and it fell over spilling most of the water.

“Shit!” she said using the word that she hadn’t had much use for in a long time.

She stood the watering can up and ran a bit more water into it, turning it off before it got too full.  She found she could carry it with that much water in it, but just barely.  She half dragged and half carried it over to the Wendy house slopping water all over her sneakers and the bottoms of her pink slacks.  By the time she got to the playhouse, she had spilled enough water so that she could raise the can and pour some water into the flowerboxes.  Wet soil and water ran down the front of the flowerboxes as well as down the front of her outfit.

“Done,” she said when the can was empty.  She set the can down and walked over to the door of the Wendy house.  She looked inside, but it didn’t seem very inviting without Patrick to play with.

Bree turned around and looked at the path to the stream.  There’d be lots of interesting things down there … like frogs.  She took a few steps in that direction before Beau planted himself in front of her.  When she tried to walk around him, he nosed her back.

“Let me go by, Beau,” she said in her best authoritative voice.  Beau merely stared at her.  She took a step to pass the dog who merely used his nose to push her back.  “Stop that,” she ordered.  “Let’s go get some frogs.”  She tried to step around Beau again.

Beau gave her a push with his head and knocked her backwards onto her butt.  Bree landed in a little pool of mud and water from her watering.  She sat up and looked at her muddy hands.  She wiped them on the front of her already dirty T-shirt.

“Shit!  Bad Beau!” she scolded as she tried to stand up.  Beau knocked her back down, getting her covered with more mud.  “I’m going to tell Daddy on you,” she stated as she scrambled to her feet and headed for the sun porch.

Justin was almost finished with his painting when he heard Bree calling, “Daddy!”  She made sure he would hear her.  When Bree arrived at the sun porch, she had trouble getting the door open with her muddy hands, but finally she managed it.

“Daddy, Beau knocked me down,” she accused the dog who came in through his dog door and stood waiting for judgment to fall on both of them.

“Were you trying to go to the stream?” Justin asked still working on his painting and not bothering to look at his daughter.

“Um … no,” Bree lied.

“Briana Victoria!”

“Well … yes … maybe.”

“Then Beau was doing what I told him to do.  Good boy, Beau.”  Justin finished his last bit of foam on the water and turned to look at his daughter.  “What the…?”

“I got dirty, Daddy,” Bree said with her best pout and batting of eyelashes.

“I’ll say you did.  Brian!” Justin called.  “Bree needs you.”

Brian appeared on the balcony of his office and let out a loud groan as he saw the muddy little waif standing just inside the sun porch door.

“Shit!  What have you been doing, Miss Briana?”

“I was playing … and I watered the plants at the Wendy house,” Bree said, adding the last part to make it seem like she had done something good.

“Don’t move,” Brian ordered as he headed down the stairs.  “I don’t want to have to clean the house as well as you.”  He opened the sun porch door and told Briana to come outside with him.  He stripped the little girl down to her underwear and left the pile of filthy clothes by the door.  He rinsed off Bree’s hands and face with the garden hose.  “You have gar-gar outfits, you know,” Brian reminded her.

“Sowwy, Dada,” Bree said.

“Yeah, aren’t you always?”

“Are you mad at me?” she asked staring at the ground and refusing to look at her father’s face in case he really was angry.

“I should be,” Brian said, “but I know kids get dirty.”

“Yes, we do, Dada.”

Brian chuckled.  “Come along, little miss.  You’re going in the bathtub.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said sticking her still slightly grubby hand into her father’s.

Brian smiled.  How could he be mad at his little princess?

Justin watched them walk by, heading for Bree’s bedroom.  He shook his head in wonder.  Here were the extremely anal Brian Kinney, former stud of Liberty Avenue, and the cute but grubby little blonde girl who owned his heart.  He loved them both beyond measure.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 3




“Stacey, what’s wrong?” Kenny asked his partner at Kinnetik N’rgy.

“Not sure. I’ve gone over our expansion plans time and time again. I can practically recite our proposals to Brian in my sleep and yet I feel that I’m missing something,” Stacey replied, as she slapped the folder she was holding down onto her desk.

“Honey, you’re going to give yourself an attack of the vapors if you keep this up,” Kenneth said in his most queenie voice.

Stacey stared at him for a moment then burst out laughing. “I can’t believe you just said that!”

“Sometimes it pays to play the flaming queen card. But I am serious, Stace. Our proposals are sound. Brian knows this; he’s been all for it from the forefront.”

The partners were silent for a while then Kenneth had an idea.

“Maybe it’s not the plans, per se, that are bothering you.”

“What do you mean?”

“We intend to take on more ad execs and artists, right?”

“Right.”

“Well, where are they going to sit?”

“Sit?”

“Yes. The outer office is rather intimate.”

“You mean small,” Stacey, ever the pragmatist, commented.

“Well, yes. I use my studio upstairs to work and you’re down here. We need a bigger office.”

“I don’t think Brian would like to move us. Not after all the work he put into this place. John worked some miracles here and I love that my apartment’s next door.”

“Well, how do you think I feel! I live upstairs and Brian pays us a decent rent. Simon would hate to see N’rgy move out.”

“So then what do we do? I don’t think it would look very professional to have the ad execs share a desk. I know we’re out all the time drumming up business but we have to have some place to call home.”

Just then Simon slammed his way into Kinnetik mumbling and cursing under his breath.

“I’ve had enough!” Simon grumbled. “He complains about every little noise, he never pays his rent on time and he thinks his threats about moving out really scare me. Well, HA!” Simon stopped his tirade, looked around then blushed from his head to his toes. “Shit! I’m in the wrong office, again.” Simon sighed loudly then plopped himself down into a chair. “Am I interrupting?” he asked Stacey and Ken, getting bewildered looks in return.

“No, sweetie. Stacey and I were talking over the expansion plans. What’s happened, Si?” Kenny asked as Stacey brought her friend and landlord a cup of coffee.

“Thank you, Stacey. I’m sorry to barge in but the tenant in 202 is driving me nuts. I’m glad he didn’t renew his lease. He should be out by the first.”

“So what’s the problem?” Stacey asked.

“Well you see, his apartment is a double. In other words, when we bought this building some of the apartments were a single....”

“Like mine?”

“Right and then there’s his which is a combination of your apartment and this office. Simon and I took the third and fourth floors and, of course, the roof terrace. Not too many people can afford the rent on the larger apartment. I guess I can make it into two smaller ones.”

“Or...” Stacey and Kenny said in unison then broke out into laughter.

“What?” Simon asked as his eyes darted back and forth between them.

“We were just saying that we have no place to put the new artists and execs we want to hire,” Kenneth explained.

“What if N’rgy took over the lease?” Stacey asked hopefully.

“That would be a godsend. You’ve proven to be the best tenants I could ever hope for, in spite of our rocky beginning,” Simon said, recalling the many door slamming incidents that Brian made him go through. Simon smiled despite the memory of the ringing in his ears.

“Si, what if you move your office upstairs,” Ken suggested.

“Upstairs where?”

“To the apartment right above your current one. We’ve never been able to get a permanent tenant there. We have to heat it in the winter to prevent pipe damage and keep it clean. And for some reason your assistant has never liked being on the first floor. It’s a perfect solution. N’rgy can expand horizontally as well as vertically and then the whole building will be fully occupied!”

“But how would we utilize the space?” Stacey asked Ken.

“Let me show you,” Kenny answered as he took out some paper and a pencil. Seeing his spouse about to be in full artist mode, Simon made a discreet exit to return to his own office. He had some plans of his own to attend to.


*****


“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

Briana still had a few more days of school left in the semester. She was completing a book report she had written by making a cover to go with it. Her report was about families so she decided her cover needed her special rainbow to adorn it. She was at her own little desk in Brian’s office. Brian was looking over the latest Part Deux ads.

“Who’s going to take care of our plants while we’re at Nyork?”

“That’s New York, Squirt. And I have several ‘gardeners’ lined up to keep it in shape, but Patrick will be in charge.”

“Oh. He does gar-gar real good.”

“Yes, he does. Uncle John and Uncle Bobby will inspect the gardens once a week and Aunt Rachel and her girls have also volunteered. We have it covered.”

“Okay, Dada.” Bree appeared to be satisfied with her Dada’s answer and returned to her rainbow. Brian returned his attention to his computer.

“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt?”

“Will the flowers miss us?” Bree looked up at her Dada, her violet blue eyes wide in anticipation of Brian’s words of wisdom. Brian inwardly cringed. How could he ever answer Bree’s question? He looked out over the balcony and onto the sun porch and gardens below. Brian got up from his desk to walk to the balcony rail. He then gestured for Bree. Picking up his daughter, they both looked out over the gardens.

“I honestly don’t know if the flowers will miss us, sweetheart,” Brian said in all sincerity. He gently nosed Bree’s soft cheek then kissed her. “But I do know that I’ll miss them.”

Bree sensed that even though her Dada was looking forward to going to New York, he really was going to miss their home and the gardens.

“Dada, can we do gar-gar before we go and say goodbye to all the flowers?”

“I think that’s an excellent idea. We’ll do just that this weekend, just you and me. We’ll say goodbye to all of our flowers.”

“Okay, Dada.” Bree wrapped her arms around Brian’s neck to give her Dada a hug. “I love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt,” Brian said as he buried his nose into Bree’s baby fine blond hair. “Love you with all my heart.”


*****


“Hey, Brian,” Michael’s voice came across the phone line the next day.

“Hey, Mikey, what’s up?”

“Nothing much. I’m working on the next edition of Rage.”

“Ah, is this where Sateeena really comes into her own?”

“Yep,” Michael grinned. “I think we have a great idea of how to present her.”

“How’s that?”

“If I tell you, I’d have to kill you,” Michael joked.

“Michael, I am Rage. You can tell me.”

”Okay, okay,” Michael giggled. “Lacy and I thought that we’d have Sateeena be a student in high school. You know, appeal to the younger crowd. She has a friend who is being harassed at school because she’s different. She’s a lot like Sateena. The bullies aren’t sure what to make of her, but because she’s different they make her life miserable. They only know her by the name Shawn. She is feeling really down after the school jocks shove her around and call her names. Sateeena meets up with her and imparts words of wisdom. Then she sucker punches the bullies after they try to do the same thing to her.”

“You are such a dork,” Brian laughed.

“What do you mean?” Michael asked indignantly.

“It sounds just like you in high school, only you didn’t have Sateeena to rescue you.”

“No, but I had you.”

Brian frowned. “Is that how you remember it?”

“I just know that after you became my friend, I had a much easier time in school.”

“That’s because I did your homework for you,” Brian chuckled.

“That too,” Michael said with a grin. “But you did protect me. That was the beginning of Rage.”

“If you say so, Mikey.” Brian couldn’t believe that he was Michael’s rescuer way back then. He had been pretty much scared shitless every day of high school, just like all the other kids were. The secret was to never let the jocks and bullies know that.

“Is Justin around?” Michael asked, deciding the trip down memory lane had gone on long enough.

“He’s painting.”

“Can I talk to him for a few minutes?”

“Okay, but remember that we’re leaving for New York and he has to get as much painting done as he can,” Brian warned.

“I just need a few minutes of his time.”

“Okay,” Brian said carrying the portable phone out to the sun porch. “Michael,” he said to his husband indicating the phone.

Justin took the phone and put his hand over the mouthpiece. “What does he want?”

“To get your take on the new Sateeena story line,” Brian said. “I told him you don’t have long to talk. I’m going to pick up Bree and Patrick from school.”

Justin nodded. “Hello, Michael…”


*****


Brian pulled up in front of the school. Patrick came running from the playground when he saw the car. Brian waved to the monitor who supervised the students waiting for their parents.

“Where’s Bree?” Brian asked with a frown as he didn’t see her anywhere.

Patrick got into the back seat of the Cherokee. “She’s over there with Ashley,” Patrick said pointing to the two girls who were sitting close together under a tree.

“I didn’t think she played with Ashley anymore,” Brian observed.

“She usually doesn’t. She has friends in her own class, but sometimes she and Ashley play together,” Patrick explained. “They had fun together at Bree’s birthday party.”

Brian thought back to Bree’s birthday bash. He did remember seeing Bree and Ashley together a couple of times. Ashley was kind of a nondescript little girl, easily missed or forgotten in a crowd.

“What is she doing?” Brian muttered when Bree made no indication that she was going to come to the car. He stepped out of the car and shouted, “Briana!”

Bree looked up at her father. She gave Ashley a hug and then ran over to the car. “Hi, Dada.”

“Hello, Squirt. Didn’t you see us here waiting for you?” Brian asked.

“Sorry, Dada,” Bree said while Brian buckled her in.

Brian got back into the driver’s seat and they headed for home.

“Dada, can Ashley come to New York with us?” Bree asked as soon as the car was moving.

“New York? Ashley? Why would you want her to come to New York?”

“She was crying.”

“Why was she crying?” Brian asked.

“She’s sad.”

Brian sighed. “And what made her sad?”

“The boys were mean to her.”

“What boys?”

Bree looked over at Patrick. “Mean boys,” she stated.

“I didn’t do anything to her,” Patrick said hastily.

“I know,” Bree replied. “But you know those mean boys.”

“Yeah, I do,” Patrick admitted. “I stay away from them.”

“I’m going to kick their asses,” Bree declared.

“Briana Victoria, what are you talking about?” Brian asked almost driving off the road when he heard Bree’s statement.

“They called Ashley ugly,” Bree said defiantly. “Ashley’s not ugly.”

“No, Ashley’s not ugly,” Brian agreed. “Why are they picking on Ashley?”

“Ashley’s too nice,” Bree explained as only a five year old could. “She tries to be nice to everybody and they … they don’t treat her nice at all. They call her names.”

“What names?” Brian asked, fascinated by this look into kindergarten mentality.

“Wimp and ugly and … sissy.”

“Sissy?” Brian had heard that one used before, but not to describe a sweet little girl.

“Yeah, they’re mean,” Bree continued. “I hate them.”

“I don’t like them either,” Patrick added.

“Then you should help me kick their asses,” Bree informed him.

“Bree, you’re not kicking any asses,” Brian said gently.

“Yes, I will. If they hurt Ashley I really will.”

Brian tried not to laugh out loud. “It’s not good to go around kicking boys’ asses. Do they pick on you?”

“No,” Bree replied emphatically.

“How come?” Brian asked.

“I won’t let them,” his daughter stated.

“I see.”

“Can’t Ashley tell the teacher that these boys are being mean to her?” Brian asked reasonably.

“They’re in a older class.”

“They’re in my class, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said.

“They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this kind of thing.”

“I stop them, Dada.”

“I don’t think that’s your job, Squirt. You tell Ashley to go to her teacher if this happens again.”

Bree frowned. “’Kay, Dada, but I don’t know if that will work.”

“Hold off on the ass kicking until you find out, okay?” Brian asked.

“Okay. But can Ashley come to New York with us?” Bree asked again.

Brian sighed. “I don’t think we have room for Ashley, especially if Gus is coming with us.”

“Gus?” Bree shrieked her eyes lighting up.

Brian and Justin hadn’t said anything to Bree about her brother accompanying them until arrangements were finalized with all concerned. They were almost at that point. Besides, Brian couldn’t think of a better reason for not taking Ashley with them.

“Looks like Gus will be going to New York with you, Squirt,” Brian laughed.

“Yay!”

“So, it will be you, me, Daddy, Gus and Gamma Joan.”

“That’s good, Dada,” Bree said nodding her head.

“Great,” Brian replied, thinking they had put the ‘Ashley coming to New York issue’ to rest.

Bree looked thoughtful for a couple of seconds. Brian could see the wheels turning in her little head when he glanced at her in the rearview mirror. “Dada, I could sit on Gamma Joan’s lap and then there would be room for Ashley. Gamma Joan likes me to sit on her lap.”

Brian groaned inwardly. He had to think of something to contradict this idea. “You and Ashley will have to be strapped in your seats. That’s the law. You can’t sit on Gamma Joan’s lap for the trip.”

“Oh.”

“So let’s not hear any more about Ashley,” Brian said trying to sound authoritative without seeming to be mean.

“But she needs me to help her,” Bree protested.

Brian wracked his brain trying to think of a way out of this. Nothing was coming to him.

“Uncle Bri,” Patrick spoke up.

“Yes.”

“Maybe Ashley could come with us when we go to the farm for our riding lessons,” Patrick said. It was arranged that the kids would have their first riding lesson with John as soon as school was out.

“Oh, I don’t see why she couldn’t do that,” Brian said, playing the scenario through in his head. “We can talk to Uncle John about it. How does that sound, Squirt. You and Ashley can ride together.”

Bree thought for a moment. “’Kay, Dada,” she said. Brian breathed a sigh of relief. “But are you really, really, really sure that Ashley can’t come to New York with us?”

“I’m really, really, really sure,” Brian replied.

“Okay,” Bree said giving in on that topic. “I’ll ask her to come riding instead.”

“Good girl,” Brian said as they drove up to Edna’s Treasures. He unbuckled Bree, and Patrick hopped out.

“Thanks for the ride, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said.

“Thanks for saving my bacon,” Brian said to the boy, and he really, really, really meant it.

Patrick smiled knowingly at Brian and then ran to the house. Brian realized that Patrick was very different from his daughter, but he was every bit as smart in his own way.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 4




“Hey, handsome, where are you off to?” Justin asked as Brian came into the kitchen dressed to impress with his briefcase in hand. Justin was cleaning up the breakfast dishes. Bobby had taken the kids to school and John had left earlier for Pittsburgh. “I didn’t know you had a meeting today.”

Brian gave Justin a kiss then poured a small cup of coffee to down quickly before leaving.

“Sorry, Sunshine, neither did I. One of Scott’s execs caught a virus. He was going to do a presentation today, so Scott will do it instead. He’s been working on the ad as well.”

“So why are you going?”

“Scott originally was going to interview a new adman and a couple of artists. I’ll do that. And I want to check up on Harmon. Besides, it’s time for my monthly shake up of Part Deux,” Brian stated with an evil grin.

“Behave,” Justin admonished Brian. “You know they’re doing a great job.”

“I know but they expect me to stir the pot every once in a while. I won’t get the chance until we get back from New York.”

“You won’t be late, will you? We can’t put off talking about our New York itinerary for much longer. We’re leaving in a week and I don’t want to leave anything for the last minute.” Justin had also learned from his experiences from the last time too. Now that Bree was older, they could do some sightseeing and she’d be able to appreciate it more. But Justin didn’t trust himself with too much empty time on his hands, no more Henry Higgins’ for Justin. Justin blushed with embarrassment at the memory. Brian seemed to understand.

“Justin,” Brian began softly as he drew the younger man to him. “You can’t help being attractive and desirable.” Brian kissed his spouse.

“But that’s no excuse for irresponsibility. I want to be a good example for Bree. Flirting with strange men has no place in my life.”

“We all flirt, Justin. It’s what we do,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.

“How can you say that!?”

“Justin, think about it. I flirt, cajole, and seduce to get my clients. You do it all the time with John, not intentionally but you do. And you always flirt with me. You even flirt with Michael when you think it will get him to see things your way with Rage. Where do you think Bree gets it from? And when you’re at one of your meet and greets, you not only seduce them with your art but with yourself too. It’s not a bad thing. It just is.”

“But Brian...”

“Justin,” Brian smirked then turned his most sensual, flirtatious look onto Justin. It was that look that made half the men in Pittsburgh cream their jeans. “It is what it is. Now I have to go but we’ll continue this later.”

“Okay. I love you,” Justin said as he shook himself out the influence of his husband’s seductive look. He knew Brian was right which only reaffirmed his convictions. They were going to New York as a family to support Brian and Kinnetik N’rgy, and that’s just what Justin was going to do. “And I don’t flirt,” Justin added with a grin.

“Oh yes you do, and I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Brian smirked as he kissed Justin senseless then left for Harrisburg.

“Smartass,” Justin murmured then finished up in the kitchen.


*****


“Curtis!” Gus called out as he walked down the high school steps.

“Hi, Gus.” Curtis returned the older boy’s greeting with a smile. Ever since Bree’s birthday bash, the teens had become friends. Gus would walk Curtis back to the center where they would do homework together for a while before Gus had to go home. Sometimes, JR would go with them too.

“So you’re going with your Dad to New York soon,” Curtis confirmed.

“Yeah, I went a couple of summers ago for a few days. It was cool but we didn’t stay long. The Moms worried a lot. This time I get to stay a month. What about you? You make up your mind about Dr. Raph and Hector?”

“Yeah, I have. I’m gonna do it. I really like them a lot. And Dr. Raph reminds me of my granddad. I wish I had a picture of him. They took away everything I had at the Hardigans,” Curtis said sadly. “I had a picture of me and my mom and granddad.” Curtis had a tear in his eye.

They were quiet for a while as they were passing the Liberty Diner.

“Wait, I have an idea,” Gus said with enthusiasm.

“What?”

“Maybe Grandpa Carl can help,” Gus said as he opened the diner door. Carl was sitting at the counter just finishing up his late lunch or early dinner. He was going to Babylon later.

“Hi, boys!” Carl greeted the teens cheerfully. “Isn’t school done for the summer?”

“A few more days,” Gus explained. “Grandpaw Carl, we need your help with something,” Gus said to Carl as he turned on the Kinney charm. Carl fell for it hook, line and sinker.

“What can I do for you?”

“Curtis said that the Hardigans took everything he owned, you know, pictures and stuff. He doesn’t have anything to remember his grandfather or his mom. Do you know if the cops found anything over there when they cleaned out their house?”

There was a huge scandal when the authorities finally busted the Hardigans for abuse and fraud. All of Pittsburgh was made aware of it. Carl thought about it for a minute.

“Gus, go call your moms to let them know you’re with me. And call Hunter to tell him about Curtis. We’re going to the station.”

“All right!” Gus called out as he touched fists with Curtis. Gus made his calls as they followed Carl out to his car.


*****


“Look at all this stuff!” Curtis exclaimed as several officers brought in boxloads of personal effects that were found in the basement and attic of the Hardigan house.

“They were very organized,” Sergeant McGinty quipped.

“Yeah, so was Hitler,” Gus murmured as he noted that each box was dated. He and Curtis stepped up to the box that was dated the year the Hardigans took him in. Curtis gasped as he lifted the top of the box.

In the box were folders, files and large envelopes. As they carefully sifted through the box, Gus took out an envelope that had Curtis’ name on it. Curtis had seen a few envelopes with name of kids he knew. He prayed that they found good homes to go to like he was about to.

Gus and Curtis took the envelope over to a desk to open. A few papers, several photos and a St Christopher’s medal spilled out.

“Granddad wore this to work every day; said it would keep him safe.” Curtis’ tears flowed freely. “And this is my mom!” Curtis said as he pointed to a pretty woman holding a baby. “That was me.”

“She was real pretty,” Gus said as he looked at the photo. “Was that your grandfather?” Gus asked as he saw a photo with a young Curtis at about age five holding the hand of a tall muscular man. Both were smiling brightly. They looked to be standing in the park.

“Yeah,” Curtis whispered.

“He does look a lot like Raph,” Carl commented. “Adam, is all this evidence?” Carl asked the sergeant.

“No, not really. We’re hoping the kids will come back for this stuff. We started sending out letters to the kids we can track down. But some of the older stuff...”

The sergeant hesitated, shaking his head. They might never find all the kids who suffered due to the Hardigans. The sergeant transferred the contents of the envelope into a clear bag for Curtis to take with him. Curtis didn’t want the original envelope; it had Mrs. Hardigan’s writing on it. Sergeant McGinty put the original envelope back in the box with a notation of what was taken and to whom it was given.

Curtis and Gus thanked the officers and Carl took them home.


*****


Brian leaned back in the big chair behind the desk at Kinnetik Part Deux. Scott had a nice office, but not as nice as Brian’s at Kinnetik. The style was more traditional, although the art work was cutting edge. Brian liked there to be an edge at all his Kinnetik offices. They were each outside the traditional box in some way, and that’s how Brian liked it. It reflected his policy about how he ran the company.

He smiled to himself. It had been a productive day. The ad exec he had interviewed had a great resume and seemed to be just what they were looking for. He’d suggest to Scott that he hire the man. He didn’t like to tell his employees what to do. At one time he had thought that’s what he would enjoy most about owning his own company, ordering his minions around. However, he found that idea quickly wore off. He got a lot more done when he asked for their opinions and actually listened to what they had to say. Because he hired the best people, they often supplied excellent ideas and opinions. And since Brian listened to them, he found that when he suggested something, they really listened to him in return. He had a great company with three branches, and expansion in the works in the Big Apple. Things were going very well.

Brian picked up the resumes of the two artists he had interviewed. The woman was far and away the best. He’d strongly suggest that Scott hire her quickly so she didn’t get away.

The last folder on the desk was all that remained for Brian to do before he went home. He flipped through the few papers inside. With a frown he leaned farther back and looked up at the ceiling.

“Mr. Kinney,” Scott’s assistant said on the intercom, “Mr. Harmon is here as you requested.”

“Send him in,” Brian replied as he straightened up in his chair. “Harmon,” Brian said rising and shaking the man’s hand.

“Please, call me Albert,” Harmon said.

“Have a seat, Albert,” Brian replied. “I’ve been looking over your file. How are you finding working here?”

“Um…”

“What kind of an answer is um?” Brian asked. “I like my employees to speak their mind.”

“I’m very grateful for the job, but I … um.”

“Spit it out, Harmon,” Brian ordered. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong. He thought Harmon would have been ecstatic to have this job.

“You’re using a rather antiquated system for your records,” Albert finally gained the courage to say.

“We are?” Brian asked in surprise and then frowned. “Have you discussed this with Scott?”

“Briefly. I have just gotten acclimatized to this place. Scott’s been very busy. He has a lot on his plate.”

“You’re supposed to be taking some of that load off his plate.”

“I am,” Albert replied. “But I could do a better job if we had more up to date software.”

“Do you know what you want?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Then get it.”

“But…”

“I’ll talk to Scott. I’m glad to see you’re on top of the latest ideas.”

“I pride myself in knowing everything there is to know about accounting.”

“Looks liked I picked a good man for this job.” Brian wondered to himself how anyone could want to know everything about accounting. But then Ted did, and he was invaluable to Kinnetik.

Albert beamed at his boss. “I told you I would do a great job for you, and I fully intend to keep that promise.”

“That’s what I like to hear.”

“Is there anything else?” Albert asked.

“Yes, there is,” Brian stated.

Albert blanched. He had heard the other people at Part Deux talk about how Brian Kinney could be really hard on people, especially when they weren’t living up to Kinney’s expectations. Albert had hesitated to bring up the software issue. It sounded a bit like he was making excuses for not doing better. Now maybe he was going to get shot down in flames by his notorious boss.

“Is your son still interested in riding?” Brian asked.

“Sheldon? Why yes,” Albert smiled. “He loved the ponies at your daughter’s party.”

“Did he ask for a pony?”

Albert blushed. “Yes, he did.”

“What did you do?”

“I sat him down and told him the facts of life about our finances … as gently as I could for a five year old.”

“Good for you. How did he take it?”

“Surprisingly well,” Albert admitted. “You were right. He told me he didn’t need any more clothes or shoes for a while and said he’d set up a lemonade stand in front of the house if that would help.”

Brian chuckled. “So are you a lemonade entrepreneur?”

“No, he and his mother have set up a little stand. They make the lemonade. Sometimes I help them squeeze the lemons, but they do all the sales.” Brian smiled. “Sheldon feels so proud when he hands me five dollars or a buck twenty-five at the end of the day.”

“He should be proud. You have a budding businessman there.”

“We put the money in his college fund, but I really do appreciate his efforts. It’s … brought the family closer together.”

“Glad to hear that, Albert. I’m taking Bree for her first riding lesson to my brother’s farm this weekend. Would Sheldon like to go?”

“He’d love to … if I can get him away from the lemonade stand, that is.”

“Maybe he could bring a big thermos of lemonade for the riders. I’d be happy to pay him for it,” Brian offered.

“I think I can afford to provide the lemonade free of charge, Mr. Kinney. You do pay a decent wage.”

Brian caught the twinkle in Albert’s eye. “Thank you, Albert, and you may call me Brian.”

“I’d like that … Brian.”

“I still want to pay for the lemonade though. Sheldon wants to earn money to help the family and I think we should honor that.” Albert nodded his head silently in acknowledgement of the wisdom of Brian’s words. “I’ll let you know what time on Saturday,” Brian added.

“Thanks, Brian. You’ve made such a difference to our family.”

Now Brian was the one who didn’t know what to say. He stood and shook Albert’s hand. The man took that as his signal to leave. When he was gone, Brian sat down in the big chair and shook his head. Albert’s words resonated inside his head. He suddenly felt very good about himself and his little piece of the world.


*****


“Hunter-man,” Curtis said as he stopped at the door of Hunter’s office.

“Yes, Curtis, what can I do for you?” Hunter set down his pen and gave his attention to the boy.

Curtis smiled. He always liked talking to Hunter, because he knew that Hunter really listened to him. “I think I’ve made my decision.”

“Decision?” Hunter asked. He drew in a breath hoping it was the decision that they had all been waiting for.

“I want to go live with Dr. Raph and Hector.”

“You do? That’s great, Curtis. What made you finally decide?”

Curtis brought the photos that Carl had helped him retrieve out from behind his back. He held them out to Hunter. “That’s my mom and my granddad. I think they’d be happy for me to have a real home.”

“I think they would too, Curtis,” Hunter said staring at the pictures. “Dr. Raph and Hector are good people. I think you’ll be happy there.”

”I already am,” Curtis smiled. “I spend a lot of time there.”

“More and more as time has gone on,” Hunter noted.

“Do you think I could move to Dr. Raph’s tonight?” Curtis asked.

“You don’t waste any time once you make a decision,” Hunter chuckled.

“I know,” Curtis said sheepishly. “Do you think they’ll be happy to see me?”

“I think they’ll be ecstatic.”

“So can we go?”

“Shouldn’t we pack up your things first?” Hunter asked.

“They’re in the bag right here,” Curtis replied as he yanked his duffel bag into the office.

Hunter laughed. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you can’t wait to get out of here.”

“I … I want to thank you for taking me in. I … I might have died out on the streets last winter, and I wouldn’t have cared … back then.”

“And now?”

“You gave me a chance to have a family again and I want it … now!”

“Then a family you shall have, Curtis my lad.” Hunter pulled the boy into a warm hug.”

“I just hope they’re not quite as weird as your family,” Curtis said with a happy smirk on his face.

“No danger there, kid. My family has the market cornered on weird. Let’s get going. You’ll be just in time for dinner.”

“That’s what I thought,” Curtis grinned, before he picked up his duffel and gave a last look to the Center that had been his home for so many months. He knew he was going to a better place and he could hardly wait.


*****


The vet clinic was closed when they got there. Hector and Raph would be in their offices at the back of the animal hospital. They always put everything to right before leaving for home.

“Maybe we should have called,” Curtis said nervously.

“Don’t worry, Curtis, they’re going to be so happy with your news.”

“You think so?” the boy asked shyly.

“I know so. Want me to come in with you?”

“Yes … no … I don’t know,” Curtis babbled.

“You can do this, Curtis, and for what it’s worth, I think you’re making the right decision.”

“You thought I should do this right from the beginning.”

“Yeah, I did. I was so lucky that Michael and Ben took me in. I wanted the same thing for you.”

“Can I come back to the Center if it doesn’t work out?” Curtis asked.

“I’ll always be there for you, Curtis, but when you become part of a family, you work out family problems together.”

“Okay,” Curtis sighed. “I’m ready.”

“Then go for it, kid, and have a happy life.”

“Thanks, Hunter. And I’m calling you every day.”

“You do that,” Hunter laughed. “I’ll miss your ugly puss around the Center.”

“I’ll miss you too.”

They hugged again before Curtis stepped out of the vehicle and slung his duffel over his shoulder. He walked to the side door and rang the bell. The door opened and Raph smiled when he saw who it was. A few words were exchanged and then Raph pulled the boy into a bone crusher of a hug. Raph smiled and waved at Hunter before he pulled Curtis inside. Hunter heard Raph shout Hector’s name. They would be celebrating tonight.

“Have a great life, kid,” Hunter said out loud before he drove away.


Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 5




“Hey Pop, isn’t the cottage that a way?” Gus pointed toward the opposite direction in which they were traveling. Joan was sitting in the front passenger seat taking it all in. Brian had driven into Pittsburgh to pick them up.

“Very funny, Sonny Boy,” Brian smirked. “I want to see the Village project site. John’s men are working double time on it. The apartment has tenants lined up. Gordon and Betsie have started moving their things down here. And the landscapers have just about finished the garden park. Some of Hunter’s kids really got into gardening. I want to take some pictures to send to Cynthia. We’re thinking of doing a small campaign to promote the Village and the new shops. Hunter wants it kept low key but you can’t sell anything if you don’t know where the store is,” Brian stated reasonably.

Brian slowly drove down the ‘main street’. It was paved and lined with street lamps just like any other street in downtown Pittsburgh but with one main difference. Instead of skyscrapers looming above, the tallest structures were the apartment building and the garage across the way. Brian was able to find a parking spot around the corner. As they parked, John approached them. Brian was snapping pictures then gave his camera to Gus. Gus had proved himself a great photographer.

“So what do you think?” John beamed with pride. He was very happy with the results of their work. Hunter’s kids threw themselves into the project. Many would come out with the skills to work in construction or enough interest to go to college for engineering or architecture.

“Fan-fucking-tastic, Big Bro!” Brian stated. “Just a few short months ago this place looked like an old war zone. Now it’s beautiful. Is Emmett really opening up a full restaurant?”

“Yes, he is, and Drew’s opening up a sport boutique next door. Betsie’s flower shop is open for business. Her kids have been helping her and Gordon move their stuff here. They’re selling their house in Bridgeton.”

“Pop! Look at the garden!” Gus said loudly then ran off to get a better look and take more pictures. Brian, Joan and John followed the teen at a slower pace.

“I love these street lamps,” Joan remarked. The lamps that lined the paths between the shops, and that lit the gardens, were similar to the one that lined the main road; however, John’s lamps were solar powered.

“I’m very proud of our solar lamps. We also have solar panels on the apartment and garage. Each house and shop has solar panels. We use 60% less of the city’s electricity and we can store some of it in batteries. The apartment is also equipped with back up generators. We’re trying to be energy efficient here.”

As they approached the new Book Store, Danny greeted them. “Hi there! Can I offer you some tea or coffee?” Danny asked with enthusiasm. The Book Store was really taking shape with wall to wall books, plush love seats and overstuffed chairs where a reader could sit back, enjoy the quiet and read.

“Thank you, Daniel, I’d love a cup of tea,” Joan stated coyly. Danny smiled as he poured hot water into a mug. Twin Kinney eyebrows arched up high as Brian and John watched Danny and Joan flirt.

“I thought he was gay,” John whispered to Brian.

“So did I,” Brian answered, sotto voce. “But Michael did come from somewhere,” Brian added.

“So Danny and Debbie...” John confirmed. Brian nodded. The brothers shuddered.

The brothers watched Danny and Joan with quiet fascination until Gus burst into the shop.

“Hey Pop, did Grandma Joan tell you about her new job?” Gus asked with a wide smile.

“What new job?” the brothers Kinney asked in unison.

“Joan has kindly accepted my offer to help me run this store,” Danny stated happily.

“Mother? Joan?” Brian and John spoke at the same time.

Joan set down her mug to address her son and his brother. “Before I met Jack, I was planning to go to college and major in English literature. I’ve always loved books but then things happened. Now, more than fifty years later I have been given an opportunity to go back to those books. I’m not an expert on rare books but I do love hunting down a good mystery or two and Gus has been very helpful in showing me how to use the computer for research.”

Brian and John nearly got whiplash as they quickly turned their heads toward Gus who was standing tall and very smug.

“I’ll help out here so that Daniel can still help Michael at the comic book store.”

Brian and John thought about it and it did make sense. The Village wasn’t all that far from Joan’s house and if it made her happy then it was worth it. Brian smiled his approval.

After their tour of the Book Store, Brian, Joan and Gus were saying their good byes. Brian was going to take them to Edna’s Treasures. John would see them later that night. After an initial horseback riding lesson that was planned for the next day, the Kinney-Taylor family would be heading for the Big Apple.

As Danny was waving goodbye from the door, Joan smiled brightly. Brian and John exchanged glances.

“Good bye, Daniel. See you in about a month,” Joan said confidently. Danny nodded.

“Daniel?” the brothers said in unison as they shrugged their shoulders. Gus broke out into giggles as Joan smirked like a cat who drank all the cream.

The brothers shook their heads in wonder then parted company.


*****


“Are we fucking ready?” Brian demanded.

“I’m ready, Dada,” Bree said cheerfully from the car seat where she was strapped into the back of Justin’s SUV.

“Me too, Pop,” Gus chimed in.

Brian looked over at John’s Navigator. John gave his brother the thumbs up and started down the lane. Brian turned to look back at the front door of the cottage. Justin and Joan waved as he drove down the lane behind John.

It seemed like it had taken the better part of the morning to get things organized. He had spent way too long on the phone with Albert Harmon. The man had to write down every fucking word that Brian gave him to direct the man and his son to the farm. At least Brian didn’t have to pick up Sheldon and his lemonade as a result. He and his father would meet them at the farm, if they fucking didn’t get lost somewhere on their way there. They were now on their way to collect Ashley to take her to the farm with them too. John and Bobby had Patrick and JR in the Navigator and were going straight to the farm. They had waited almost an hour for Melanie to show up with her daughter. Thank God she had some kind of an appointment to go to and had left immediately. Brian’s last nerve wouldn’t have stood any more minutes of Melanie’s instructions making sure that they would take care of her daughter.

“Tell me again why I’m doing this,” Brian muttered.

Gus’ young ears caught the words even though Brian had not intended to get a response. “Because you’re a good Dada, and you want the kids to have a fun day,” Gus laughed as he informed his tense father.

“I don’t even like kids,” Brian griped.

Gus laughed. “Sure you do. You just don’t like admitting it.”

“You don’t like me, Dada?” a worried little voice said from the back seat.

“Of course, I like you, Squirt. I love you. I meant other kids.”

“You don’t like Ashley?” Bree asked in that same small voice.

“I like Ashley,” Brian declared.

“But you said…” Bree started to contradict.

“Pop loves them all, Bree. He’s just in a bad mood,” Gus told her.

“Oh,” Bree replied. “No more bad mood, Dada. We have to make Ashley feel better.”

“Right, of course, what was I thinking?” Brian muttered. He mouthed a thank you to Gus for getting him out of the spot his big mouth had gotten him into with his daughter.

Gus chuckled. “It’s a beautiful day, Pop, and the kids are going to have a blast. Don’t worry.”

“Don’t worry, Dada,” Bree chimed in too.

“Not a worry in the world,” Brian lied as they pulled into the driveway at Ashley’s.


*****


About a half hour later Brian stopped the car in the driveway at Claire’s. He could see John’s Navigator parked there along with another car that he figured must belong to Albert Harmon. Claire came out of the screen porch as they were all getting out of the SUV.

“Gamma Claire,” Bree yelled and ran to get the mandatory hug from one of her five gammas.

“There’s my sweet little girl,” Claire crowed as she hugged the little bundle who wrapped herself around her grandmother’s lower body.

“We go ride the ponies,” Bree told her.

“You mean the horses,” Claire corrected her. “The farm doesn’t have any ponies.”

”Oh,” Bree said with a frown. She liked the little pony she had ridden at her party. She thought that’s what she would be riding today.

“Bree,” a little voice said from behind her.

“Gamma Claire, this is my friend Ashley,” Bree said introducing her schoolmate.

“Hello, dear,” Claire said extending her hand to take Ashley’s little one. “Are you looking forward to riding the horses?”

“Yes, a lot,” Ashley said with a smile.

“John’s already over at the farm,” Claire said to Brian. “Hello, Gus. Are you helping out today?”

“Gonna try,” Gus grinned.

“That’s my boy. You guys better get over there. The morning’s almost gone.”

“It is gone,” Brian said looking at his watch. “It’s a miracle we got here at all.”

“Get a move on, young man,” Claire instructed him. “They’ll be waiting for you.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Brian replied. He couldn’t help but smile at Claire’s gentle way with everyone. “Sorry to be such a grump.”

“I know you have a lot on your plate these days, but don’t disappoint the children,” Claire whispered as Brian gave her a hug.

“I’ll do my best.”

“And your best will be just right,” she said as her fingers touched Brian’s cheek for just a moment.

Brian nodded before turning to the children and saying, "Let’s get this show on the road.”

He quickly led them through the shortcut to the farm. Bree held his hand while Gus took Ashley’s. Ashley seemed totally fearless in her quest to ride. They quickly covered the short distance to the farm. They found John and the others with the horses all saddled and waiting for them.

Bree came to a stop as soon as she saw the horses. Brian felt the tug on his arm as she dug her heels in.

“What’s the matter, Squirt?”

“Big, Dada,” Bree said staring at the horses. “Very big.”

“You don’t need to worry. I’ll be right there with you.”

Bree frowned and studied the horses. She wasn’t so sure about this now.

“I’m ready,” Ashley said confidently.

“Good girl,” Gus replied. He had been designated as the minder of Ashley while they gave the children a ride.

“Mount up,” John ordered.

Gus lifted Ashley onto the horse John indicated. Albert helped Sheldon get onto his horse. The little boy looked pleased with himself. Bobby lifted Patrick into the saddle of his horse and John helped JR. Brian picked up Bree and tried to set her atop her horse. She clung to his neck and wouldn’t let go.

“What’s wrong, Bree?” Brian asked.

“Don’t like this horse.”

“This is Brandy, Bree,” John said coming over to find out what was wrong. He patted the horse’s neck. “She’s very gentle. See.” John rubbed Brandy’s nose and the mare bobbed her head in acknowledgement.

Bree reached out her hand and touched Brandy’s nose tentatively. Brandy snorted and Bree drew her hand back quickly.

“Don’t be afraid, Bree,” Brian said gently. “That just means Brandy likes you.”

Bree reached out and rubbed Brandy’s nose. “Soft,” she whispered.

“Don’t worry, Bree,” Ashley called. “See, you can do it. You can ride as good as me.” Ashley sat proudly atop her horse, a huge smile on her face.

Bree studied her friend. If Ashley liked her horse maybe it would be all right to get on this one. “I try, Dada,” she said releasing her hold on Brian’s neck.

“That’s my girl.” Brian set Bree carefully on the saddle and put her feet in the very shortened stirrups. “You’re doing great, Squirt. Hold onto the saddlehorn and the reins,” Brian said as he directed her hands to the right spots. “I’ve got you,” he said as he held the back of her shorts making sure there was no way she could fall off.

“Ready?” John asked.

Little heads bobbed all around. Even Bree’s. John started JR’s horse in a slow walk around the yard of the farm. Steve and Bill came out to watch the goings-on. They smiled their approval as all the children stayed in their saddles while the horses walked them about following John’s lead.

After several minutes of this, John stopped. “You each should make the acquaintance of your horse and thank him for the ride. Pat his neck and ruffle his mane,” John instructed.

The children did as directed and the horses snorted their approval. Bree smiled happily at Brian. Her fear seemed to be gone.

“Can we ride a little longer?” JR asked. She was really enjoying being on her horse.

“Yeah,” Ashley concurred.

Brian didn’t think he’d ever seen the little girl smile so much.

They continued walking the horses around for several more minutes. Finally John called another halt and the children were all helped down. Bill came over with four carrots. He showed the children how to feed a carrot to their horse, and they each did so. There were lots of giggles as the horses nosed the small hands that were feeding them.

“Good Brandy,” Bree said as Brandy polished off the carrot.

“Did you all enjoy riding the horses?” Steve asked as he walked over carrying Sheldon’s thermos of lemonade. He had a supply of paper cups which he filled and handed to each of those present. There was a resounding chorus of “Yes” from all the children.

“Good,” Bree said sipping her lemonade.

Sheldon beamed at her. “My mom helps me make it,” Sheldon said proudly.

Brian tasted the lemonade and had to admit that it was very tasty. He had ten bucks in his pocket ready to pay Sheldon for his efforts. The lemonade hit the spot.

“How many of you would like to ride again?” John asked.

Everyone said they wanted to.

“But can we go faster next time?” JR asked.

John chuckled. “If you really are interested in riding, there’s a lot to learn before we get to the fast part.”

“I want to learn,” JR stated emphatically.

“Me too,” Ashley agreed.

“What about you, Bree?” Brian asked quietly.

“I like Brandy. I’ll ride her,” Bree said.

Brian smiled and gave his daughter a hug. “Then maybe we can make an appointment with Uncle John to do this again when we come back from New York.”

“How long will that be, Uncle Brian?” JR asked.

“A month.”

“Wow, that’s a long time,” Patrick piped up.

“It will go by quickly,” John said.

“I be ready,” Ashley stated.

“Me too,” Bree agreed.

“Me too,” Sheldon said.

“Looks like you’re in business, bro’,” Brian chuckled.

“I can hardly wait for you to get back from New York,” John said smiling at his brother.

“I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“I know. And there’s a little blond painting up a storm at Edna’s Treasures who will make sure you do.”

“You got that right,” Brian agreed. “Ready to go home, Squirt?”

“Ready, Dada. Bye, Brandy,” Bree said as she ran over to the horse for one final nose rub before she left.

“I think she’s made a friend,” Brian chuckled.

“So has Brandy,” John laughed.

“Okay, gang, across the yard and through the woods, to Gamma Claire’s we go. Head ‘em up and move ‘em out!” Brian called.

“Silly, Dada,” Bree said as she took his hand and they started back.


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 6



“I swear I can still smell horse in your car,” Brian griped as he came back into Edna’s Treasures to get another load of their luggage. The back of the SUV was already getting full. He hoped he could cram the rest of their stuff into the remaining space.

Rather than leaving for New York Saturday after the kids’ riding lesson, Brian had a change of plans. When they got back to the cottage, Justin was knee deep in canvas and paint. It was summer outside but the colors of Fall graced the sun porch. A few phone calls later and they were all set for their journey to begin on Sunday morning.

“You and your over-sensitive nose,” Justin laughed as he loaded up Brian with more pieces of luggage.

“Did you smell Bree this morning?” Brian asked.

“I fucking did not,” Justin retorted. “I don’t go around smelling my daughter. It would give her a complex.”

“She still smelled of horse after her bath last night.”

“She did not,” Justin said, adamant that his daughter did not smell at all, except like a little girl, which was how she was supposed to smell. “Maybe it’s your son who smells like horse.”

“Gus has excellent hygiene.”

“And so does Bree.”

“I’m not sure I can stand all those hours in the car with that smell.”

“I’ll get a can of air freshener to take with us,” Justin promised, as he put the last bag on top of the pile Brian was holding. “It can counteract any possible smells.”

“I don’t like the smell of that crap either.”

“Go put those in the car before you drop them,” Justin ordered.

“Hello, happy wanderers,” Emmett called from the open front door. “All ready to go?”

“No!” Brian bellowed.

“Yes,” Justin corrected his mate. “Just some last minute stuff to do and then we’re gone.”

“Make yourself useful, Honeycutt, and give me a hand with these fucking things.”

“Yes, your highness,” Emmett said taking the small bag from the top of the pile Brian was holding and sashaying out to the car, where he waited for Brian to struggle out with the rest of the bags.

“You’re a big help,” Brian told him when he got to the SUV.

“I have my purposes in life and carrying heavy luggage isn’t one of them,” Emmett declared. “Let’s see,” he said surveying the back of the SUV. “If you move these like this, you’ll have room for what you’re carrying.” Emmett quickly made the adjustments and then stowed all the bags that Brian was carrying in the back of the vehicle. He picked up the small bag he had set at his feet and popped it in on top of the other pieces of luggage. “There you go,” he said with a grin as he swiped his hands together very pleased with what he had accomplished.

“Here’s my bag, Pop,” Gus said as he arrived with his duffel. Brian groaned.

“Is this all you’re taking, young man?” Emmett asked the boy.

“If I need anything else, I can borrow from Pop.”

“Ah, that sounds like a plan,” Emmett replied, as he stowed Gus’ bag with the others.

“Yeah, quite the plan,” Brian griped. He was learning to hate major changes in his daily routine and this trip was definitely a big change for the whole family. He ruffled Gus’ hair, feeling like he needed to get his pissy attitude under control before they hit the road.

“Hey, watch the coiffeur, Pop. It takes hours to get just the right disheveled look.”

Brian stared at his son. Gus sounded so much like him when he made that statement. Brian shook his head in disbelief. Gus was definitely growing up. “Go see if your sister and Joan are ready?” Brian ordered.

“Yes, sir,” Gus grinned before running inside to do his father’s bidding.

“So, O Great Ad Exec, you ready for this New York expedition?” Emmett asked Brian.

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Not really,” he admitted.

“What’s the problem?” Emmett asked. He really wanted to know, because he suspected that something wasn’t right with Brian. He had felt that something was a little off for a couple of weeks. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but the bitching about the luggage didn’t seem quite right somehow, although Brian could bitch with the best of them.

“I … I…”

“Come on, Kinney. You can spill your guts to me. Trouble in paradise?”

“Just the opposite,” Brian replied seriously. “I love being here with Justin and Bree … and Gus when he can be here.”

“Then what’s going on?”

“I don’t want to leave.”

“Huh?”

“I said, ‘I.Don’t.Want.To.Leave’,” Brian repeated punctuating each word to get his message across.

“Oh,” Emmett said in surprise. He knew Brian had never been happier than since he moved into Edna’s Treasures. But this was something new. “You know that John and Rachel and me will take care of everything while you’re gone.”

“I know.”

“And we’ll water the gardens and cut the grass.”

“You fucking better.”

“So what’s up?”

“I feel so comfortable and … happy here. I don’t want to disrupt that,” Brian said honestly.

“You’re not disrupting anything. You’re taking your family on a little adventure, and everything will return to normal when you come back,” Emmett assured him.

“I hope so,” Brian said shaking his head. “But…”

“It will be fine, Brian,” Emmett said pulling Brian into a warm hug. “You’ll do your business stuff in New York and then you’ll come home and do your family stuff for the rest of the summer … and for the rest of your life,” Emmett added, as he thought about what he was saying.

“Thanks, Emmett. I think I really needed to hear that.”

“Anytime I can help, big guy, you just let me know.”

“You help more than you ever realize.”

“Why, Brian Kinney, you’re going to make me weep,” Emmett said dabbing at his eyes.

“Stop it, you big poof, or you’ll have me bawling too,” Brian teased, trying to lighten the moment.

“Dada, I ready,” Bree said as she tugged on Brian’s pant leg. She stood in front of her father holding her grey bunny.

“I think I’m ready too,” he said scooping her up and kissing her face.

Emmett watched them walk into the house. He smiled happily and said, “My work here is done.” He headed back to his cottage with the white picket fence and the man he loved inside.


*****


“Dada?” Bree began from the safety of her car seat in Justin’s Cherokee.

“Yes, Squirt?” Brian replied from the driver’s seat. They had been on the road for about an hour. Bree had been quietly chittering away, discussing her plans for Joan and Gus.

“Can we see Coney Island when we get to Nyork?”

“That’s New York, Squirt. And I guess we can visit Coney Island, but I don’t think it’s much fun anymore,” Brian said sadly. So much of the famous playgrounds and arcades had been lost to land developers. Only the famous ferris wheel and roller coaster survived as national landmarks. “But the aquarium is still there.”

“Do they have whales and penguins?”

“Yes, Squirt, I do believe they do,” Brian answered, glancing at his daughter via the rearview mirror. “Let’s plan on spending next Sunday there.”

“Okay, Dada.” Bree was very happy. She had learned about whales in school and was hoping to see some up close and personal. “Can Gus take pictures?”

“Of course I will, short stuff. I’ll take all the pictures you want.”

“Thank you, Gus,” Bree said with a yawn. She settled back into her seat, her grey bunny tucked in her arms and went to sleep.

They were about an hour away from the city when Brian decided to pull over into a rest stop. The travelers were grateful for the chance to get out of the SUV to stretch their legs, hit the bathrooms and for Brian, much needed coffee.

“Hey Pop, how much longer?” Gus asked his father while sucking down a thick shake. Brian rolled his eyes at his son’s choice of beverage but he’d make sure the boy ate right when they were finally settled in their temporary home. Brian was sitting at a picnic table slowly sipping his coffee waiting for Justin, Joan and Bree. The late Spring sun was warm and inviting.

“About an hour but then we have to deal with the city traffic. We’re not in any rush and I don’t have any appointments tomorrow. We can take as long as we need to settle in. I arranged for a suite at the hotel. Bree and Joan will share a room. You get your own room. The suite also has a small kitchen so once we get checked in we can do a little shopping.”

“You thought of everything, right, Pop?”

“I try, Sonny Boy. I try.” Gus could sense the apprehension in his father’s voice. Something that was not often found there.

“Don’t worry, Pop. Grandma Joan and I will take good care of Bree. You and Justin can go do what you need to do at N’rgy. And then we can go back home.”

Brian stared at his son, his very perceptive son. “When did you get to be so smart?” Brian asked with his tongue planted in his cheek.

“Gotta be smart to keep up with you and Bree, Pop,” Gus snarked, eliciting a roar of laughter from Brian.

“I guess we both gotta stay smart to keep up with Bree. Speaking of which, where is she and your Grandmother?”

Brian looked around for his family, including his wayward spouse. Brian’s eyes lit up as he saw a glimmer of golden blond hair walking toward their table. Justin couldn’t resist buying a large helping of junk food. He was carrying said food in several large bags. Joan had a tray with a variety of beverages in her hands. Bree was carrying a bag that contained some decent food such as fruit and something green that purported to be a salad. Gus immediately got up to help his sister with her bag. Brian shook his head at all the junk that suddenly appeared on the table.

“Dada, if I promise to eat healthy stuff on our trip, can I eat some not so healthy stuff now?” Bree asked her father, turning the Taylor charm and her big blue eyes onto Brian. Justin wore the same expression on his face. Gus shrugged then picked up his shake to slurp. Brian looked at his mother for help. Joan held up her hands in surrender. It was apparent that he was outnumbered.

Brian rooted around in one of the bags and pulled out a few limp looking french fries which he promptly bit into. “If you can’t beat them....” Brian shrugged as Justin distributed their feast. They all had fun eating their not so healthy repast.


*****


It was around two in the afternoon when the Kinney-Taylor clan finally made it to the hotel. A bellman helped with all of their luggage, Brian drove the Cherokee into the hotel’s garage as Justin began the process of checking them all in. They were booked into one of the larger suites on the upper floor. A private elevator was earmarked for those guests who stayed on those floors. It was an added expense but Brian felt it was worth it if it kept his family safe.

The family rested a bit and unpacked. Brian had a word with the hotel security and then he and Justin decided to do a little grocery shopping. They had planned on eating out for most of their stay in the city; however, they wanted plenty of milk and juice for Bree as well as cereal for breakfast. Being close to Central Park, Joan, Gus and Bree headed out for the park as Brian and Justin went shopping.

“Brian, do you think I should rent a studio while I’m here?” The lovers had found a small grocery store within walking distance of their hotel. They were able to place an order for their groceries to be delivered to the hotel. However, they decided to carry a few items back with them.

“You could ask Kyle. Maybe that place you rented the last time is available. It was close to N’rgy.”

“Maybe I will tomorrow.” They were almost to the hotel when Justin turned to face Brian. “Bri...”

“Justin, I’m here because Stacey needs me. You’re here because I need you. We brought the kids because I can’t stand the thought of being so far away from them. We do this together. I love you, Justin. Nothing, no one can ever change that.”

Justin saw the truth and conviction in Brian’s eyes. Nothing else mattered, none of their past mistakes made any difference. Justin put his fears aside and followed his spouse to their room.


*****


“Geez-uss,” Gus exclaimed as his eyes darted around the park. The fine late Spring weather brought out all sorts of people and in all sorts of clothes or lack thereof. Gus was finding it difficult to control his runaway teenage hormones. Especially when so many fine young men insisted on roller-blading past with no shirt and skimpy shorts.

“Gus,” Joan began her admonishment.

“I know, sorry, Lord’s name and all,” Gus apologized before he knew what he was apologizing for. Joan uncharacteristically rolled her eyes.

“Just not in front of your sister,” Joan was learning patience when it came to teenage boys, especially gay teenage boys.

Before Gus could say anything, Bree ran over to him. She had been playing with some children on a slide. “Gus, I need some water. I’m thirsty.”

“Good idea, Squirt, I’m a little hot myself,” Gus commented as he walked his sister over to a street vendor. He purchased a few bottles of water.

“Why are you hot, Gus? I was the one playing.”

“Ask me that again in fifteen years, short stuff,” Gus murmured. He opened a bottle for Bree as they returned to the bench Joan was sitting on.


*****


Deciding to take advantage of their time alone, Brian and Justin felt the need to check out the suite’s shower. They had their own private bathroom attached to their bedroom. The shower was big enough for the two of them. Brian thought it prudent to bestow a little extra attention to his artist.

After adjusting the shower head and the water temperature, Brian took out all of Justin’s favorite soaps and shampoos. When Brian was finished taking such loving care of his mate, he found he had one happy and contented Sunshine on his hands. He gently ‘poured’ Justin onto their big bed then made love to him.

Later on, when a sated Justin was sleeping, Brian made a few calls.

“Hey Pop!” Gus said into his phone.

“Where are you?”

“At the park.”

“You guys behaving?”

“Yep.”

“Keeping an eye on your sister?”

“No prob. She’s making friends at the playground.”

“And you? You staying out of trouble?”

“Oh, Pop.”

“Gus, I’m not that old. I remember what it’s like having raging hormones.”

“Pop, you still have raging hormones. I bet you and Justin were all over each other the minute you got back to your room,” Gus laughed.

“This is not about me, Gus.”

“I know, but Dad you should see the guys...”

“Put a knot in it, Sonny Boy. Joan is with you and you can’t take your eyes off your sister for a second.”

“I won’t, Pop. I swear. But, do you think...”

“Gus, you’re not legal, but I will ask Simon and Ken when Raymond goes to their GLC. I’m sure they have a teen night.”

“Thanks, Pop. I really need to hang with my own peeps. You know what I mean?”

“I know, Sonny Boy. Right now, the only ‘peep’ you need to concentrate on is your sister. And I think my ‘peep’ is waking up. Don’t pig out on junk food; we’ll go to dinner later.”

“Okay Pop. And Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you, Pop.”

“Love you too, Sonny Boy. Later.”

“Later.”


*****


“Grandma Joan,” Gus said, as he watched Bree playing on the slide with another little girl.

“Yes?” Joan asked.

“What was my Pop like when he was my age?”

Joan felt the color rise in her cheeks. She wasn’t sure how to answer that question. She debated making something up, but then decided that her grandson deserved the truth, as much of it as she could manage to tell. “Your father was very … aloof at your age.”

“Aloof?”

“He spent a lot of time out of the house,” Joan said carefully.

“Where was he? At Michael’s?”

“Yes, I daresay he spent a lot of his time there. He was only home long enough to eat and sleep.”

Gus frowned. This didn’t sound much like the father he knew. “Was he popular at school?” Gus asked.

“I … I really can’t say,” Joan said straightening the collar on her blouse. She wanted to change the subject, but she wasn’t sure how she could do that without making things worse.

“Did he bring home friends? Did he play sports … other than soccer? Was he a good student?”

“Your father was a very good student. He went to university on a scholarship. We never would have had the money to send him. His father wanted him to join the electrical workers’ union.”

“Really?” Gus was surprised at that. He couldn’t imagine his father as anything except the executive he was.

“We never knew much about his sports … or his friends,” Joan admitted.

“I see,” Gus said, wondering at his grandmother’s lack of knowledge of all things Brian Kinney. His own mothers would be able to tell a lot more about him than Joan could about Brian.

“We … your father and I … we weren’t … close back then.”

“Oh.”

“Things have gotten a lot better this last while. I’m very happy to have become part of his family again.”

“I missed you when I was younger,” Gus told her, remembering all the years he barely knew she existed.

“Thank you, Gus. That’s a sweet thing to say.”

Gus smiled at her, getting a warm smile in return. He liked to make Grandma Joan feel good. “Maybe we should get Bree and head back to the hotel.”

“Do you think they’ve had long enough alone?” Joan asked with a twinkle in her eye. She was glad the previous topic seemed to have been laid to rest.

“Grandma!” Gus said in surprise.

“Well, it’s the truth, isn’t it? We’ve been giving them some alone time as they like to call it.”

Gus laughed. “You’re pretty hip for an old broad.”

“Watch out for us old broads. We’re a formidable group,” Joan chuckled in response.

“Don’t I know it,” Gus said before calling for Bree.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 7




“So how do you like living here on a permanent basis?” Hector asked Curtis.

It was late Sunday afternoon and they were all in the kitchen preparing dinner.

“It’s good, but I kind of miss the Center sometimes.” Curtis watched Hector’s and Raph’s faces drop. "I … I mean that I’ve only been here for a week,” Curtis said with a smile. “It’s hard to know … yet.”

“Hector has restrained himself from asking that question for many days now,” Raph told him.

Curtis grinned at them. “It’s really not much different than spending the weekends here.”

Raph looked from Curtis to Hector. “I think Hector wants to know if we’re passing muster as parents.”

Curtis looked at the two men. “I … I didn’t really know what to expect when I said I wanted to live here. But … I didn’t think you’d want my approval.” He frowned at the words that Raph had said to him.

“Of course we want your approval. This whole parenting thing is totally new to us. We want to know if we’re doing it right.”

“I … I guess you are,” Curtis said uncertainly.

“Phew!” Hector laughed. “That’s a relief.”

“How … how am I doing … as a foster child, I mean?” Curtis felt the need to ask.

“You’re doing just great,” Hector said with a big smile.

“We couldn’t ask for anything more,” Raph added. “Except maybe that you were our son instead of our foster child.”

“You really want that?” Curtis asked.

“We really want it,” Hector and Raph said at the same time.

“How hard would it be to do that?”

“Not very hard, but we’d have to go to court and there’ll be lots of papers to sign,” Raph explained.

“But we wouldn’t mind the paperwork,” Hector informed him.

“What would you say to something like that?” Raph asked.

“Do I have to make that decision now?” Curtis wanted to know.

“Of course not,” Raph assured him. “We weren’t even going to mention it … for a while.”

“But you’ve been thinking about it?”

“We have,” Hector admitted.

Curtis smiled. “That makes me feel good. I’ll think about it too, but maybe we should wait a while to see if this is going to work out all right.”

“How did you get to be the practical one in this family?” Raph asked with a chuckle.

“Somebody has to do it,” Curtis grinned.

They continued making the dinner, each feeling like they were becoming part of a real family. It made them all feel warm inside, and the food they prepared together would never taste better.


*****


“I miss Gus,” JR said as she and her mothers sat down to dinner.

“He’s only been gone a couple of days,” Melanie replied.

“I miss him too,” Lindsay added.

“I wish I could go horseback riding again. It was fun,” JR added.

“You can when they all come back,” Lindsay told her.

“It’s more fun when Gus is here,” JR whined.

“What about us, young lady?” Melanie demanded.

“You’re parents.”

Lindsay and Melanie let out simultaneous sighs.


*****


“It seems strange around the clinic without Curtis,” Hunter said as he and Nick sat down for dinner.

“Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess we got used to having him around.”

“I wonder how he’s doing with Raph and Hector?”

“I’m sure he’s fine,” Nick said gently as he started in on his salad.

“I hope so. I wanted to call every day and ask how it’s going, but I figured I should stay out of it for a while. Give them a chance to get used to each other.”

“I think that’s the right thing to do,” Nick concurred.

“Curtis deserves some stability in his life … and happiness.”

“He deserves all that and more.”

“Yeah, and I’m praying he’s going to get it,” Hunter sighed.


*****


“It’s awfully quiet around here without Brian and Justin,” Emmett said as he dished up dinner for himself and Drew.

“They haven’t even been gone a day yet,” Drew chuckled.

“I know, but I miss them.”

“They’ll be back before you know it.”

“I know, but it’s not the same when they’re not here.”

“Have you told Brian this?” Drew asked with an evil glint in his eye.

“Of course not! He’d tell me to fucking get a life and toss me out on my ear.”

“You know he wouldn’t do that. He’d be touched,” Drew said gently.

“Well, maybe, but he’d never let me live it down.”

“It’s okay to miss him.”

“I know, but you never tell him how much. Understood?”

“Yes, darling. My lips are sealed … right after I finish these delicious lambchops.”

Emmett smiled and dug into his own food.


*****


“I miss Bree,” Patrick said as he sat at dinner with his fathers.

“She’ll be settling in in New York by now,” Bobby replied.

“Why didn’t we go with them … like last time?” Patrick asked.

“They don’t need us there. Brian has work to do,” John said. “And we have work to do here.”

“But I don’t have anybody to play with,” Patrick whined.

Beau barked loudly.

“I think you just insulted Beau,” Bobby laughed.

“You know what I mean,” Patrick replied.

“You’re going to help with the gardens, aren’t you?” Bobby asked.

“Yes,” Patrick sighed.

“How would you like to go visit Grandma Claire next weekend and we could maybe go riding again?” John proposed.

“That would be cool,” Patrick agreed.

“Good, then let’s plan on that.”

They all got back to eating their food.


*****


“I miss Patrick and JR and Ashley and…”

“We get it, Squirt,” Brian said to his daughter. They were having dinner in the hotel restaurant.

“Didn’t you have fun playing with that girl in the park today?” Gus asked.

“Yes, but she’s not Ashley or Patrick.”

“Nobody’s Ashley or Patrick,” Justin said. “But you can still have fun with new friends while you’re here.”

“I guess so,” Bree said as she munched on some salad.

“I thought we’d go to that library tomorrow,” Joan said. “Do you remember it, Bree?”

Bree nodded. “I like the li-berry.”

“Then that’s a plan,” Brian said breathing a sigh of relief.


*****


Monday morning and the living is easy, well not that easy. The ‘ladies’ decided to enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the hotel’s fine restaurant. Afterwards, the plan called for a day at the main library. The two younger men decided to take their cues from Brian, who was up and ready for adman action, and all before his first cup of coffee. Dressed smartly for business, Brian hailed a cab to take his ‘men’ downtown to Kinnetik N’rgy. Gus greeted Stacey and Ken enthusiastically then sprinted up the stairs to the apartment shared by the Greene-Mann family. Gus had it on good authority that a massive breakfast fit for three teenage boys awaited him upstairs. He had tentative plans to hang out with the boys for the day. Justin was greeted warmly then disappeared into the inner sanctum to confer with his fellow artist, Kenneth Mann and also to get breakfast. That left Stacey at the tender mercies of one decaffeinated Brian Kinney.

Before Brian could bellow, “Coffee, black, sweet,” a hot mug of Brian’s favorite blend was placed in his hands. He was sipping and purring contentedly as Stacey carefully directed Brian to her big executive-type leather chair. There he sat and sipped until he was human enough to hold a reasonable conversation.

“So show me these plans you two have cooked up,” Brian muttered. Kenneth’s renderings of the proposed N’rgy offices were laid out on the desk before Brian. As Stacey topped off Brian’s mug, Brian grinned at the well thought out expansion plans.

“Does Simon know that you’re kicking him out of his front office? And what about the guy upstairs?”

“Kenny, suggested that Simon move upstairs. Apparently his assistant has always liked the second floor apartment better than the first.”

“Then why have they been down here all this time?”

“The second floor was slated to be residential only. The lease will be up soon for the guy on the second floor and Simon is happy to see the back of him.” Brian smirked at Stacey’s double entendre. Stacey noted the smirk but resisted commenting. “We’ll expand this office forward into Simon’s old place. I love those big windows and the window boxes just outside. And I’ve started a small container garden out there; did you notice it?”

“I saw it; very impressive. But I don’t pay you for your horticultural skills, do I?”

“I know but it helps me to think when I’m puttering out there,” Stacey said with a wistful expression. Brian nodded with understanding. He worked out a lot of ideas and problems as he weeded and tended his own gardens. “Once the man upstairs has moved out, we’ll convert that apartment into artist space and cubes for the execs.”

“Do you want to do that?”

“Do what?”

“Split up the exec area into cubicles.” Stacey made a face. “Hear me out. When I started out with Ryder and with Vance, execs that pulled in the large dollar contracts had their own offices.”

“That’s what it was like where I worked. The grunts would do almost anything to snag a large account even some things that weren’t quite ethical. I hated that. I never understood why we couldn’t all work together.”

“If you break things up into small cubes you’ll be fostering the same attitude. I always wanted Kinnetik to be a family. Yeah, we all have a pet account or two but sometimes it helps to know what your neighbor is working on. It helps when you need a fresh perspective or in case of illness, you have someone who can back you up.”

“I agree and I heard that Scott was able to step in to give that presentation.”

“That’s right. He was in it from the beginning. The client knew everyone and wasn’t fazed when someone else had to give the presentation. They all worked it together and Part Deux closed the deal. We all profit from it. You have an opportunity to create a very unique agency.”

“What do you mean?”

“Kinnetik is known for major nationwide ad campaigns and yet each branch is run like a small ‘mom and pop’ kind of shop. We all know each other and like each other. And we’re not out to stab someone in the back or pilfer an account.”

“True. I like being able to trust the people around me. I never felt that way at Kennedy and Collins.”

“I think I did just as much wheeling and dealing to keep the execs from taking my accounts as I did to win them,” Brian informed her.

“You’re right. I don’t want that to happen here. But we should feel free to work on some of our own personal accounts. I still have some that came with me from Kennedy and Collins.”

“That’s right, and I know Ted and Cynthia still have a hand in some of the accounts they developed here. And whomever you hire will have that same option. Just as long as they know that if they need help, you’re available. Hell, we’re all available.”

“So maybe I’ll rethink the cube thing.”

“While you’re rethinking, you may want to reconsider this applicant,” Brian said as he held a resume in his hand.

“I haven’t made any decisions yet. I was hoping for your input.”

“Noted, and here it is. This applicant freely admits to little out there in your face advertising skills; however, the samples of the artwork speak for itself. This may be someone worth developing. Ken wasn’t into the business end of things when he started, but he’s developed a nice client load himself. Instead of hiring separate execs and artists, it doesn’t hurt to get a ‘twofer’,” Brian quipped.

“You’re right about that,” Stacey said with a sigh. It felt good to bounce ideas off the best adman she ever knew. “I am so glad you’re here!” she said loudly, giving her boss and mentor a peck on the cheek then refilling his coffee mug.

“Enough of that,” Brian griped at Stacey’s compliment. “Let’s review the list of applicants.”


*****


“So how long you going to stay here?” Raymond asked Gus with a mouth full of omelet and bacon.

“About a month,” Gus answered with an equally full mouth.

“You think your dads will let you hang out with us?” Ray asked, coughing and trying not to choke on a homemade muffin. Jeffrey pounded his brother’s back.

“Yeah, they will. I kinda asked my Pop if we could hang at your GLC. You know what I mean?” Gus said almost in a whisper and blushing slightly. Jeff rolled his eyes at his brother and friend.

“Teenagers,” Jeff snarked. Grabbing a muffin, Jeff headed for his room. “I’m leaving you two little ‘faggetts’ to dish. I have lines to run. I’ll see you later.” Jeffrey smugly walked away leaving his brother and friend with their mouths hanging open. Not very attractive when said mouths were full of breakfast. “Oh yeah, real cool looking,” Jeff said, adding insult to injury as he entered his room. Ray and Gus could hear him laughing.

“What did he call us?” Gus wasn’t sure if he heard what he thought he heard.

“You heard right. My brother can be a pain in the ass sometimes. But he wasn’t being mean or nothing. I hope you weren’t really insulted,” Ray asked pensively. Ray was used to his brother ragging on him all the time. He knew that Jeffrey was only kidding and that Jeff would come to his defense at the drop of a hat.

“No, I’m not insulted but I’ve never been called a ‘faggett’ before. I don’t even know what that is!” Gus said as he chuckled.

“It’s what my brother calls us younger generation of homo. We’re out there but we’re not,” Ray said softly.

“Yeah,” Gus agreed. He was aching to get out there and date and … and other things. He was scared and excited at the same time. Ray seemed to follow Gus’ train of thought.

“Yeah,” Ray murmured. “My dads told me how wild they were and about safe sex and how they lost some close friends to AIDS and a lot of other stuff. They used to go clubbing all the time and well, you know, like your dad’s place.” Gus nodded; he couldn’t wait until he was old enough to get into Babylon. But even then he knew he’d be watched like a hawk. His dad had spies everywhere. “It’s like my dads are trying to hold me back or something.” Raymond sounded frustrated.

“The stud,” Gus mumbled.

“What?”

“The Stud. The Stud of Liberty Avenue. That’s what they used to call my Pop. My family doesn’t think I know but you can’t hide stuff like that on the avenue.” Gus shook his head.
Ray placed his hand over Gus’ in support making Gus smile meekly. “My Pop, he’s real good looking...” Ray nodded. “He was a sort of a legend when he was in his twenties. He, he, you know, with a lot of guys. I heard he did hundreds maybe thousands and never the same guy twice.” Ray’s eyes grew real wide. “Yeah, I know and he kept right on doing it until...”

“Until he met Justin?” Ray asked in hope.

“Not really, not at first but then he really fell in love. I know my Pop loves Justin more than anything in the world except for us kids. But I asked him once why it was okay for him and not me.”

“What’d he say?” Ray had asked his dads the same thing.

“He said how can I go out and do it if I can’t even say the words.” Ray nodded. He was a virgin too, except to his right hand. Ray looked down at his hand. Gus looked at his hand too. “Yeah, gets real old after a while but I really don’t want to do it with just anybody. I want to like the guy, you know?” Gus gazed into Ray’s dark chocolate brown eyes.

“I know.” Ray looked around then whispered, “I haven’t kissed a guy, have you?” Gus shook his head, no, his hazel eyes shining. The boys leaned in very close, with eyes open wide and lips leading the way. Just then Jeffrey banged his way out of his room and into the kitchen to get himself a drink. He quickly sized up the situation as Gus and Raymond jumped apart.

“Silly faggetts, tricks are for homos not for kids,” Jeff snarked loudly, then gulped down some juice. Gus and Ray blushed a deep red as Jeff laughed and went back to his room.



Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 8




“Gamma Joan, read me this,” Bree said as she presented a big picture storybook to her grandmother.

They were at the library which still held infinite fascination for the little girl. Joan was seated in the children’s literature section where they had just listened to one of the staff read the small group of children a story.

“Certainly, Briana,” Joan replied, “but don’t you want to look at some other books first? We can sign this one out and take it back to the hotel with us.”

“Read it now.”

Joan chuckled. “You are the decisive one, aren’t you?”

“What’s decisive?” Bree asked making sure she pronounced the word just the way her grandmother had.

“It means that you know what you want.”

Bree bobbed her head in agreement. “I know, Gamma Joan,” she said.

“Why do you call the lady Gamma?” another little girl who had listened to the story with Bree asked. She had been looking at a book nearby.

“Cause she’s my Gamma,” Bree stated cheerfully.

“You mean Grandma, don’t you?” the girl asked. She looked to be a couple of years older than Bree. “Can’t you pronounce Grandma?” she continued with her proverbial nose in the air attitude.

“I can pronounce it … if I want to,” Bree told her bluntly.

“Then why don’t you?”

“Cause my grandmas like me to call them Gamma.”

Joan smiled. Her granddaughter knew how to hold her own with anyone.

“That’s silly. You’re just a baby,” the snotty girl told her in a louder voice.

“I am not a baby,” Bree argued her voice rising as well.

“Are too!”

“Briana, come over here, dear,” Joan said sternly, deciding it was time to step in before Bree came to blows with the know-it-all girl.

“I sorry, Gamma,” Bree said as she came over to her grandmother.

“What are you sorry for?” Joan asked, curious to know what Bree thought she had done wrong.

“I’m making too much noise. You have to be quiet in a li-berry.”

Joan smiled. “Yes, you should be quiet.” She watched the other girl get taken by the hand and led out of the children’s area by someone who looked to be a nanny of some sort. The woman was Asian by the looks of her. Joan let out a long breath. Thank God her granddaughter hadn’t been raised by a virtual stranger. Briana might have turned out just like that snotty girl if she had.

Bree put her finger to her lips to indicate that they should be quiet. She climbed up onto her grandmother’s lap. Joan gave her a warm hug before she opened the book that Bree had handed her and started reading.


*****


“Yum … yum,” Gus gushed as he polished off his cupcake. He and Ray had walked down to the shop that sold the world’s best cupcakes. “I should have bought two,” Gus groaned.

Ray laughed. “If you lived here, you’d be three hundred pounds in no time. I think you’re a cupcake addict.”

“I’m not an addict,” Gus protested.

“Sure seems that way to me,” Ray chuckled as he finished his own cupcake.

“Ray, can we sit for a minute?” Gus asked as they came up to a little park.

“Sure.” Ray took a long drink from the bottle of water he had bought at the cupcake shop.

“I … I wanted to talk to you about what almost happened this morning.”

Ray frowned as they sat down on a bench. “I’m sorry,” he said.

“I’m not,” Gus declared. “Except, of course, for the fact that we got interrupted.”

“You mean that?” Ray asked with a big smile on his face.

“I … I want to know what it feels like to be with … someone.”

“I understand, but maybe I’m not the right someone,” Ray said honestly.

“You wanted to kiss me, didn’t you?” Gus asked with a frown.

“Yeah, I wanted to.”

“Damn, Jeffery,” Gus laughed.

“You have no idea how many times in the course of a week I say that.”

“I can only imagine. He can be a real pest.”

“Yeah, but he’s a good brother. I’m glad he’s around.”

“So am I,” Gus admitted.

“What are we going to do about this?” Ray asked.

“I figure we have three choices.”

“Which are?”

“We forget about it.”

Ray frowned and made a face. “I’m not sure I want to do that.”

Gus smiled a smile that would rival Justin. “Me either. Or we try to find some other people to … experiment with.”

“Yeah, I guess we could try that. You want to go to the dance at the GLC on Friday night?” Ray asked.

“I wouldn’t mind, but I haven’t given you the number three choice yet.”

“What’s that?”

“We act on what we started this morning.”

Ray jumped in surprise. He had assumed from Gus’ first two methods of handling the situation that Gus was going to try to let him down easy. “You think that’s an option?”

Gus nodded his head. “I do.”

Ray chuckled nervously. “You know, sometimes you remind me so much of your father.”

“Oh, how?” Gus asked wanting to know what made Ray jump to that conclusion.

“He’s very decisive, and so are you.”

“It’s all a façade. I’m scared shitless.”

“Me too.”

“Then maybe we can help each other get through this.”

“I’d like that,” Ray said.

“Let’s wait until we do the GLC thing and see what happens, okay?” Gus suggested.

“Sounds good to me. Let’s go,” Ray directed Gus. “We should get back home before they wonder what happened to us.”

“Yeah, wouldn’t want them to get suspicious,” Gus said with his tongue in his cheek.

“See, there, you look just like your father.”

“I’ve been trained well,” Gus replied as he started to walk along the street.

Ray followed, wondering just how much like Brian Kinney Gus might be.


*****


“Hey, Kyle,” Justin said as he walked into the office of the art director of the gallery where his work had been shown several times.

“Justin, I was so pleased to hear from you,” Kyle replied.

“It’s … strange being back in New York.”

“You don’t like the Big Apple?” Kyle asked with a frown.

“I like my life at home,” Justin admitted.

“Must be that hunky husband of yours,” Kyle laughed.

“He does have something to do with it.”

“So, I found you a studio in the same building where you were last time you were here. It’s yours for the month if you want it.”

Justin looked thoughtful then he said, “I want it.”

“Done. I’ll let them know, and I’ll get you a key for the place.”

“Thanks, Kyle,” Justin said standing up and extending his hand for Kyle to shake.

“If you need anything, anything at all, just let me know.”

“Thanks for the offer,” Justin said before leaving Kyle’s office.

Justin walked out onto the street wondering if he would have any inspiration to paint when so much of his new show had to do with Edna’s Treasures and the seasons he saw there. He wasn’t sure he would find anything to paint in a big city like New York that would have to do with the seasons.


*****


“Hi,” Mel said as she walked into the Bloom Gallery, spying her wife adjusting a painting. Lindsay had a clipboard in her hands and she was directing several workmen as they were beginning to hang some new Justin Taylor originals. The “Seasons” collection hadn’t been officially announced but that hadn’t stopped Justin’s fans from seeing them and placing bids.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Lindsay said with a smile and a discreet peck to Mel’s cheek.

“Can’t I visit you without an ulterior motive?” Mel asked coyly.

“Melanie,” Lindsay started, holding back her sarcasm, “when have you ever come down here unless you wanted something specific?” Lindsay said knowingly. Melanie rarely visited the gallery. Partly because while she appreciated the art, Mel never shared Lindsay’s emotional involvement and passion about it. And partly, Mel felt slightly intimidated by it all. Large canvases and sculptures threatened her grip on the real world no matter how realistic the piece was. Cold hard facts and evidence were Mel’s world and she shone there.

“I thought if you had the time, I’d take you to lunch. I was thinking of Emmett’s Place and then we can start planning our party.”

“What party?” Lindsay asked. She was watching two workmen hang a large canvas filled with bright yellow crocus and deep purple grape hyacinths.

“Our party, THE party. The one we’ve been planning since I had to endure Bree’s birthday extravaganza,” Mel said in an annoyed tone. She still hadn’t gotten over that one and the family couldn’t seem to stop talking about it.

The kicker was Justin’s grand exit. A fast helicopter ride to the Harrisburg airport where Brian had a small private jet waiting. The weather cooperated and Justin made it to the Chicago opening of his “Old Masters” right on time. He was a smash and Sidney was still parading around like a proud peacock.

“Oh, that party....,” Lindsay replied then quickly addressed the workman. “Easy with that!” Lindsay said in a very commanding tone that had Melanie ready to heel. “When do you want to have it?” Lindsay asked softly, sounding like Mel’s wife again.

“July 4th? We can invite all of our friends,” Melanie said stressing the word, ‘our.’ Mel was tired of just the family. She had a lot of diverse business acquaintances that she wanted to cultivate and never could at a ‘family’ party. “Maybe you can invite some of your artsy friends.”

“Artsy friends? And who are my artsy friends?”

“I don’t know. People that you know through the gallery, I suppose. I don’t care who you invite as long as it isn’t Brian and Justin.”

Lindsay wanted to get angry but she did promise Melanie to host their own party. “Okay, let’s go over to Emmett’s and see if he’s available. July 4th is less than two weeks away. He may be booked,” Lindsay stated reasonably.

“Oh please, he’d do it for us,” Mel said with confidence. Lindsay shrugged. “Can you take a break now?”

“Let me tell Sidney and then we can go.” Lindsay sauntered away with a gentle sway of her hips. Mel smiled appreciatively. Lindsay returned shortly with her purse and they left together.

“You have got to be shitting me, right? I have less than two weeks to get this event planned. Why the fuck did you wait so long? I’ve been booked since Christmas!” Melanie’s jaw dropped. She had no idea how in demand Emmett had become. And she just assumed he’d jump at the chance to plan her party.

“Oh come on, Emm, we’re family,” Melanie tried using the family card.

“Family, huh?” Emmett quipped as he perused the guest list. He always demanded to see the guest list. It was a good indication of the types of delicacies that would be in demand. “Yes, and I see none of the ‘family’ is on your list,” Emmett snarked. Mel snorted; Lindsay blushed. “Damned lesbians,” Emmett muttered. “Fine, I’ll do it but please don’t ask me to grill. They’re predicting a heat wave and I will not spend the hottest day of the year standing at a barbecue grill!”

“No, no, nothing heavy. I’d like a variety of cold refreshing foods,” Melanie said with authority. Lindsay merely smiled, just happy knowing she wouldn’t be in charge of cooking. Emmett rolled his eyes.

“Fine, I’ll do it and I’ll provide the appropriate wait staff too, but it’ll cost you.”

“Anything, Emmett, this is important to me,” Mel pleaded then qualified her statement when she saw Lindsay’s disapproving look. “It’s important to us.”

“Okay. Now that we’ve talked business, what can I get you?” Emmett asked cheerfully, his displeased event planner persona had suddenly disappeared leaving the friendly bistro owner in its wake. And ready to take their orders.


*****


“Can we get a look at the space upstairs?” Brian asked Stacey.

“I think so. I saw the tenant moving stuff this past weekend. He apparently bought a condo somewhere in Queens and began trucking his stuff over there. Simon has a key. We can take a look after lunch. The guy knows Simon is showing the place; he just doesn’t know to whom.”

“Is it a state secret?”

Stacey had locked up N’rgy for lunch. She and Brian were walking to join Justin and Kenny at a local café.

“Not really but Simon’s shrewd, just like some other businessman I know. He doesn’t feel the need to announce his plans to the world and I agree.”

Brian nodded. No need to give away all your secrets especially when it’s nobody’s business.


*****


When Gus and Ray returned to Ray’s apartment they found that the two of them were quite alone. Jeff had gone to rehearsals. He had joined a local theater group learning everything from staging to makeup and acting. He loved it.

The boys, not wanting to appear selfish, had purchased a box of cupcakes to share with the family. Raymond quickly secured it out of the way of temptation. Too nice to stay indoors, the boys went up to the roof terrace to take in the sun.

“Mmm, it is so nice up here,” Gus purred as he removed his shirt to soak up the sun. He laid back on a lounge chair. His long torso was just like his father’s, his treasure trail was peeping out just above the waistband of his jeans.

“It is nice up here. We’re lucky that we have this. Not every building has a roof that can be made into a terrace,” Raymond commented. He was about to remove his shirt too but his skin was pale and easily burnt. Ray had forgotten his sunscreen, so he just unbuttoned it instead.

“I’ve always lived in a house with a backyard but it’s surrounded by trees, so it doesn’t get a lot of sun. But there’s lots of sun at the cottage.”

“You get dark in the sun, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I get that from my Pop.”

“You get a lot from your Pop.”

“Yeah, I guess so. I’m proud of what he accomplished, you know? I’m proud of my moms too. Mama Mel is a real smart lawyer and she was made full partner. And my mom, she’s also my friend. That sounds so gay, doesn’t it!” Gus laughed and Ray joined in. Sometimes they liked being able to go over the top a little.

“Yeah, but we are gay so it’s okay to sound like it sometimes. But I like having the opportunity to just be myself and not pretend to be all macho if I don’t feel like it. I just want to be myself,” Ray affirmed. Gus nodded. They were lucky to have grown up with gay parents who accepted them just as they were.

“Hey Gus?” Ray called out softly.

“Hmm?” Gus answered. His eyes were closed as he basked in the warm sunlight.

“Do you think...” Raymond began, slowly drawing closer to his reclining friend.

“What?” Gus cracked open his eyes that were shadowed by Ray’s face. Ray never saw eyes quite like Gus’. He closed his eyes then leaned in to give Gus a tentative kiss.

Young soft innocent lips met for the first time. They shared a sweet kiss until...

“Raymond!” Simon growled.

“Dad!” Ray jumped up then fell onto his butt. Gus scrambled to put on his shirt.

“Sit still, the pair of you before you hurt yourselves.” The boys froze in their tracks, Gus with his shirt waving in the breeze and Raymond on the deck. Simon sighed then rolled his eyes.

“Dad, you mad at me?” Ray asked with a hitch in his voice.

“Of course not. If I got at mad you for kissing at your age then I’d have to be equally as angry at myself and I’m not about to undo years of struggling to be secure in my own skin. You’re both attractive young men and it was going to happen sooner or later. I was just really hoping for later. Much later like when you’re thirty and out of the house. I don’t think I can handle this.”

“Handle what, Mr. Greene?” Gus asked politely.

“Oh for heaven’s sake, Gus, if you don’t think you can call me Simon then please call me Uncle Simon. You’re making me feel very old at the moment.”

“Dad?” Raymond was confused.

“Geezz,” Simon said as he pulled his son into a big bear hug. It reminded Gus of one of Debbie’s hugs, warm, safe and breath-taking....literally. “It’s okay, son. Neither of you did anything wrong.” Simon gave his son a squeeze then ruffled Gus’ hair. “But I’d prefer and I think Brian would agree, that you don’t take this any further than kissing. You’re both way too young.”

“Is it okay if Gus comes to the GLC dance with me on Friday?”

“Yes. I have no problem with it.”

“Thanks Dad."

“Thank you, Mr., I mean Uncle Simon.”

Simon sat his son on the lounger next to Gus then went back inside. The boys, just a little embarrassed about being caught, laid there quietly until it was time for dinner.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 9




“Dad, can we go take a walk or something?  I really need to talk to you.”

The Kinney-Taylor family met back at the hotel for dinner.  Bree and Joan had a bag full of books they wanted to read.  And Briana had a project to do for her library class.  Joan had signed up her precocious granddaughter for a summer reading and writing program for the time they were visiting New York.

Justin decided to do some shopping for some art supplies then take them over to his temporary studio.  He had his laptop with him and therefore access to many family photos to inspire more of the Fall portion of his Seasons paintings.

“Let’s walk toward the park,” Brian suggested.  “I can use the exercise,” he said patting his almost non-existent tummy.

The Kinney men were dressed almost alike in soft comfortable jeans that accentuated their lean lines.  And in sleeveless shirts that showed off Brian’s toned muscles as well as Gus’, albeit his were yet to be developed.  Their choice of wardrobe was by coincidence, dictated by Brian’s years of habit and Gus’ unconscious way of emulating his father and hero.  The handsome Kinney men casually strode toward Central Park.

“What is it, Sonny Boy?” Brian ventured after strolling several blocks.

“I did something today, but I’m sure if you’re going to like it.  I liked it and it didn’t go far and Uncle Simon knows and he wasn’t mad or anything and...”

“Gus, take a breath before you turn blue.”

Gus stopped and drew in a deep breath.  “Dad, me and Ray, we, sort of...”

Brian tensed; he knew this day was coming.  Gus was a hell of a good looking boy, correction, young man.  And Brian wasn’t deaf to the speculation on Liberty that Gus was expected to take up where Brian had left off.  Brian was hoping that it wouldn’t happen until he was too senile to know the difference.

“Spit.  It.  Out.”  Brian turned his lethal glare onto his son.

“IkissedRaymondandIlikedit,” Gus fired rapidly.

“And?” Brian asked waiting for the worst of it.

“And?” Gus asked, his eyes opening very wide.

“What else?”

“What else?”  Gus unknowingly parroted back.

Brian sighed loudly and resisted throttling the boy.  “What else did you two do?”

“Do?”

“Oh for the love of the gods!  Sonny Boy, read my lips.  Did you fuck Raymond?”

“Fuu...,” Gus stammered, still unable to say the words.

“Did you and Raymond have sex?” Brian asked more calmly.

“Sex?  NO!  We just kissed, that’s all.”

Brian stood in front of his son, his very exasperating and irritating son.  “Just a kiss.”  Gus nodded.  “One kiss.”  Gus nodded.  “Nothing else.”  Gus nodded again.  “That’s it?  You’re trying to give me a heart attack because you swapped spit.”

“Eiwww, Dad.  We did not swap spit.  It was a kiss, a nice kiss.  I never knew how soft a guy’s lips can be,” Gus admitted quietly.  They were huddled together on a park bench almost whispering.

Brian nodded.  There was nothing in the world like Justin’s lips.  Warm, soft full lips, so pliant, so....

“Earth to Pop!” Gus said loudly bringing Brian out of his reverie.

Brian snaked his arm around his son’s shoulder then bussed Gus’ temple.  “It’s okay, Sonny Boy.  It’s okay to like kissing.  It’s okay to like the person you’re kissing.  Raymond is a good looking kid.”

“He’s older than me, Pop.”

“Not by much, and you’re still a kid.”  Gus rolled his eyes and Brian gently cuffed his ear then kissed away the sting.  Then he cupped his son’s chin to look in the eyes that reflected his own.  “Gus, making love with someone you love, well, there’s nothing like it.  It can hurt, but that’s a part of it.  That initial pain, the burn, the feeling of fullness.  Even if you never bottom, you have to realize that it hurts.  And it’s also the best feeling in the world.  But if you don’t know what you’re doing you can do damage.”

“Dad...”

“Do you want to know the details?”

“No, not now, but soon, Pop, real soon.  But is it okay for me and Ray to kiss and touch.”

“Gus, as a parent of a boy who legally can’t partake in sexual activity, I have to say no.”  Gus’ face fell and fell hard.  Brian smiled softly.  It sucked to be a parent sometimes.  “But as a gay man who had his first sexual encounter at the age of fourteen, if all you and Raymond want to do is kiss, then I say as long as the feeling is mutual and it goes no further than kissing and an occasional touch here and there then I’m cool with it.  But please don’t do anything to upset Kenny and Simon, especially Simon.  He’s one fucking big bear.  He’d kill us both.”

The Kinney men exchanged knowing looks.

“Do you understand, Sonny Boy?”

“Yeah, Pop, I do.  I like Raymond.”

“The same way you liked Lacy?”  Brian gave his son a sideways glance.

Gus grimaced.  “No.  But I like talking to Ray and hanging out with him.  He and Jeff are fun to be with, and I don’t have to pretend to be something I’m not when I’m with them.”

Brian nodded in agreement.  Brian always took advantage of the fact that he was never obvious, very masculine but also androgynous.  He saw those same qualities in Gus.  Gus was truly a chip off the old block.

“Then have fun, Sonny Boy, but remember we go home by the end of July.  No need to leave a string of broken hearts or go home with one of your own.  Your moms will kill me if I bring you back damaged,” Brian said with his tongue in his cheek.

“I’ll be careful, I promise, Pop.”

“Yeah, yeah, that’s what they all say.  Just don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

“Doesn’t leave much I can’t do,” Gus muttered receiving another cuff to his ear for his trouble.  “You learn that from Grandmaw Deb?”

Brian shrugged his shoulders then the Kinney men cracked up with laughter.

“Let’s go back before they send out a search party,” Brian suggested, standing as he spoke.  Gus stood up too.  “I love you, Sonny Boy, and I am so proud of you.”

“I love you too, Pop, and I’m proud to be your son.”  Father and son proudly sauntered back to their hotel.


*****


“Time for bed, Squirt,” Brian said.

“Not tired,” Bree stated with determination.

“It’s still time for bed.”

“No.”

“Briana Victoria, you are going to bed.”

Bree looked up from where she was coloring a picture on the coffee table of their suite at the hotel.  “Don’t want to, Dada,” she said batting her violet blue eyes at her father.

Brian looked over at Justin hoping for some help.  Justin smiled and shrugged.

“Do something,” Brian begged his spouse.

“Briana, dear, why don’t you and I go to your room and I’ll read you another story after you have your bath?” Joan asked.

Bree looked up before adding a few more strokes to her picture with her crayon.  “Done,” she said.  “Gamma, you and me love stories.”

“Yes we do,” Joan smiled.

“Daddy, this is for you.  I drew the li-berry,” Bree said holding out the picture to her father.

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Justin said taking the picture and kissing his daughter on the cheek.

“Love you, Daddy.”

“Love you too, sweetheart.”

“What about me?” Brian asked.

“Love you, Dada,” Bree told him as she came over to where he was sitting and pressed his legs apart.  She stood between them and kissed her dada on the cheek.  “You come and tuck me in?” she asked batting the baby blues once again.

“Of course I will, Squirt.”

“Good, Dada.”

Justin tried not to laugh out loud as he watched his daughter charm her father.

“Let’s go, Gamma,” Bree said holding out her hand to Joan.

Joan took the hand and picked up the book bag with her other hand.  “Let’s see if we can find a really good story for after your bath.”

Brian winked at his mother and mouthed, “Thank you.”

“We picked good stories today,” Bree told her grandmother before the bedroom door closed behind them.

“Why the fuck don’t I have any say over what our daughter does?” Brian asked Justin.

Justin chuckled.  “Because she bats those eyes at you and you melt into a pile of goo.”

“I am not goo.”

“You are goo, big guy.  You might as well face it.”

“I’m Brian fucking Kinney.  I can’t be goo.”

Justin laughed and moved over to the sofa where Brian was sitting.  “Bree knows how to wield her powers over you.  She does it to all of us when she wants to.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to like it,” Brian sulked.

“You don’t have to, but it’s going to happen from time to time,” Justin told him as he slid onto Brian’s knee.

“But I’m the father.  She should obey me.”

”She does ninety percent of the time,” Justin said gently as he kissed the throbbing spot on Brian’s temple.

“Shouldn’t it be one hundred percent?” Brian asked starting to relax a little due to Justin’s kisses down the side of his face and all around his ear.

“That only happens on TV and in … fairytales,” Justin noted before starting to work on Brian’s neck.

“We’re fairies.  She should obey,” Brian groaned, as Justin found the sensitive spot at the base of his neck, and sucked hard.

“What would be the challenge of a one hundred percent obedient Bree?  She wouldn’t be any challenge at all,” Justin cooed as he worked down onto Brian’s chest.  His lips caressed and sucked and heated up the whole area.

“You better stop that or we won’t be able to tuck Bree in.  You’ll be taking it up the ass like the slutty little twat you are,” Brian growled.

“Okay,” Justin said breezily as he stopped what he was doing.  “But remember where I left off … for later.”

“Count on it,” Brian groaned as Justin stood up and walked away.  What he wouldn’t give for total privacy for the next four hours.


*****


“So, you told them you’d do it?” Drew asked.

He and Emmett were sitting in the living room of their loft in Pittsburgh.

“I could hardly refuse them,” Emmett replied.

“Yes, you could refuse them.  Sometimes they presume too much.”

“They gave me a place to stay when I needed it,” Emmett averred.

“And how many times have you paid them back for it already?” Drew demanded.

“They’re paying me for my services,” Emmett tried to explain.

“Emmett, you have more than enough things to keep you busy.  You don’t need this last minute party added on to complicate your life.”

“I know, but Melanie seemed so keen on having the party…”

“Then she should have planned a little farther ahead.  I hardly see you, as it is.  Now…”

“I’ll make sure I have time for you, Mr. Quarterback,” Emmett promised.

“I don’t want you making yourself sick over this.  You’ve got the new restaurant to think about and all your parties and…”

“I’ll be careful.  I won’t overdo it.”

Drew sighed.  “Okay, I’ve said my piece.”

“Then let’s go to bed so I can get some quality time with my man,” Emmett suggested with a toothy grin.

Drew chuckled.  “You sure know how to end an argument.”

“Just one of my many talents,” Emmett replied as he took Drew’s hand and pulled him towards the bedroom.


*****


“I think we’ll have a fantastic party,” Melanie said as she stripped off her clothes.

“Are you sure we can afford it?” Lindsay asked with a frown.

“I’m sure,” Melanie responded abruptly.  She didn’t like to be questioned about their finances.  “Besides, Emmett will give us a break on the cost.”

“Mel. You can’t expect Emmett to help finance this party.  You really put him on the spot with this last minute decision.”

“It’s not a last minute decision.  We’ve been talking about this ever since Bree’s extravaganza in May.”

“I know, but I didn’t think you were serious … and not inviting any of the family.  I just don’t know,” Lindsay said shaking her head.

“Well, I do know.  This is the way I want it.  It will be business associates and friends from the GLC.”

“Whoopee!” Lindsay said sarcastically.

Melanie glared at her.  “I think it’s time we cultivated some other friends than the Edna’s Treasures group.  This will be good for us.”

Lindsay bit her tongue.  She wanted to tell Melanie that throwing this party to spite Brian wasn’t going to make her happy, but she knew that would lead to a fight.  She swallowed hard and said, “Let’s go to bed.”

“I’m ready when you are,” Melanie grinned throwing back the covers and opening her arms to her mate.


*****


“Good night, Squirt,” Brian said as he kissed his daughter’s forehead.

“Night, Dada.”

“Night, sweetheart,” Justin told his daughter as he adjusted the covers around her.  “Did you like the story Gamma Joan read to you?”

“Yep, but I want you to read to me tomorrow night.”

“That’s a deal,” Justin said with a smile.  “Sleep tight.”


“Are you going to bed too, mother?” Brian asked Joan who was sitting on the side of her bed in her dressing gown.

“I think I will.  I’m a little tired tonight.  It seems strange not being in my own bed.”

“I appreciate you coming with us,” Brian told her.

“You’re very welcome.  I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Brian smiled and leaned down to kiss her cheek.  He and Justin left the room.

“Hey, Pop,” Gus called as he came into the suite.

Brian gave him a look.  “Everything all right?”

“Everything’s fine,” Gus said with a smile.  “I took a cab from Ray’s.  I hope that was all right.”

“That’s fine,” Brian replied deciding that it was much better to pay for a cab than have Gus using public transport when he didn’t know the city.

“See you in the morning, Pop,” Gus said as he headed for his room.

“Isn’t it a little early for Gus to be hitting the hay?” Justin asked.

Brian shrugged.  “Want to watch some TV?”

“What’s going on?” Justin asked, sensing there was more to Gus’ arrival and hasty retreat to his bedroom than met the eye.

“Um…”

“Come in here, and tell me about it,” Justin ordered pulling Brian towards their bedroom.

“It’s kind of private,” Brian tried to hedge.

“Is Gus having sex?”

“Shit!  I hope not,” Brian reacted.

“Then what is it?  Tell me.”

“Gus told me that he and Raymond had shared a kiss.”

“A kiss?  Holy shit!  Gus and Ray?”

“Yeah.”

“Is … is that all they’re doing?”

“That’s what Gus says.”

“Then I guess we should believe him.  Do you think it will go any farther?”

Brian frowned.  “I don’t think so.”

“But they could get carried away.”

“I don’t really want to think about that,” Brian replied.

“I understand that, but it’s a possibility that we have to face.”

“Gus said they were just experimenting, just kissing.”

“Okay,” Justin sighed as he started removing his clothing.  “I guess we have to trust him.”

“He’s never made me think that I can’t trust him.”

“I know.  He’s a good kid, but he is growing up.  He wants to learn to drive, you know.”

“Drive?  Did he tell you that?  Why didn’t he tell me?”

“He thought you’d freak out.”

“So he goes to you about driving and comes to me for talks about sex.”

“Seems right to me,” Justin grinned.

“Asshole,” Brian said with his own grin.

“Do you remember where we were earlier?” Justin asked as he shed the last of his clothes.

“Right here,” Brian said pointing to the spot on his collarbone where Justin had stopped his magic on the sofa.

Justin smiled at him.  “I’m ready to pick up where we left off.  Why do you have so many clothes on?”

“It’s only nine o’clock.”

“The longer to fuck you, my dear.”

“Oh, of course, how stupid of me,” Brian replied smacking his forehead with the palm of his hand.  “What was I thinking?”

“I don’t know,” Justin chuckled, “but you need to focus.”  He helped to pull Brian’s shirt off and unbutton his jeans.

“Focused, very focused,” Brian mumbled as Justin started in on that spot on his neck.

Justin smiled to himself as he wielded his own Taylor power over Brian fucking Kinney.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 10




The first full week in New York was coming quickly to an end.  It was Friday night and Gus had plans to spend it at the GLC with Raymond.  Brian and Justin thought it prudent to join Ken and Simon as chaperons.  Planning well in advance, Brian had arranged for tickets to that night’s performance of The Lion King for Bree and Joan.  Brian had made many arrangements for shows geared for their young lady.

“Pop, you’re not planning to embarrass me, are you?” Gus asked as they pulled up in front of the building that housed the local GLC.  Brian paid for the cab then raised an eyebrow at his son.  Gus was dressed smartly, but not too fancy.  His jeans hugged him in all the right places.  Brian was not sure how he felt about that.

“And how am I planning to do that?”  Brian looked down at his own attire which was casual, neat, and with Brian’s usual subdued sensuality.  He glanced at Justin who remained delicious in his t-shirt and cargo pants.  Justin shrugged.

“Pop, you know.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”  Before they entered the GLC, Gus took his dad aside.

“Dad, you’re gonna be the best looking guy in here.  If you start flirting I won’t stand a chance,” Gus tried to explain.

“First of all, I don’t flirt.  Second, if I did flirt, I most certainly would not do it with children,” Brian growled, scowling at his son.  “There’s a name for men like that and I’m not one of them.  And lastly, unless you want us to take you back to the hotel, you won’t be doing any serious flirting yourself.  You’re only sixteen...”

Gus attempted to remind his father that he was going to turn seventeen in a few months.

“Don’t even try that one on me, Sonny Boy.  Gus, you’re a guest here, remember?  So behave yourself.  And remember what I said about broken hearts.”  Brian gave his son a most parental type look and Gus nodded.

“Okay, Pop.  I’ll behave.”  Brian arched a brow.  “I promise.”  Brian nodded and the three of them went in to join the festivities.

The GLC was one place that gay couples could openly display affection without ridicule.  There were many such couples who had accompanied their teens to the dance.  Brian, Justin, Ken and Simon were amongst good company.

The NYGLC also promoted the diverse talents of the younger members similar to the Pittsburgh GLC with their art show.  Justin was drawn to the art display that was off to one side.

“Justin Taylor?”  A rather matronly looking woman with short grey hair addressed Justin as he looked over the paintings and sketches.  “You are Justin Taylor, aren’t you?  I’ve been privileged to attend several of your openings and shows.  Is this business or pleasure?”

“I’m sorry?” Justin replied, unsure of what the woman was asking.

“Your visit to our center, are you here in an official capacity relating to our art exhibit?  Your reputation for supporting young artists is well known.  However, you appear to be just as young as the kids you support.”

“Looks can be deceiving.  But in answer to your question, my partner is spending time here in New York on business.  We decided to bring our children.  My partner’s son is here with a friend of his.  Raymond Mann-Greene...”

“I know Ray and his fathers.  A very sweet boy and so is his brother Jeffrey.  Jeffrey has joined a local amateur theater group sponsored by the GLC.  Their fathers are wonderful examples of a stable same sex couple home.  How do you know them?”

Justin walked through the exhibit, drawn to some of the artwork that was obviously influenced by comic books and more specifically, Rage.

“We met them a couple of years ago while we were on our second honeymoon.”  Justin blushed slightly at the memories of Gay Days, the toys they bought and played with.  “Ken and Simon were on their second honeymoon too.  My partner’s company has a branch office in their building,” Justin said proudly.

“Kinnetik N’rgy, yes, I know it well.  Stacey and Ken have done some promotional work for us, gratis.  We couldn’t afford the advertising costs without their help.  Although I hope I haven’t gotten anyone in trouble.”

“No, of course not, Ms....”

“Oh, how rude of me, Barbara Carter.  I’m on the executive committee here.  We encourage the youngsters to come here on Fridays.  It provides them a safe place to hang out, meet and find friends.  We also encourage the siblings, gay or straight.  We have a branch of PFLAG that meets here monthly.  Straight family members are encouraged to speak out and express their concerns.  Are you and your partner a member of the Pittsburgh GLC?”

Justin had moved onto a painting that reminded him of the Spring portion of his new show.  It was awash with bright colors and flowing lines.

“We are, although we don’t live in the city, so we’re not there on a regular basis.  Gus, my partner’s son, and his moms attend functions there.  Since we’re going to be in New York for about a month, we were hoping Gus could spend time here.”

“He’s most welcome, as are you and your partner.  I take it you’re here as chaperons?”  Barbara had a glint in her eyes.

“Teenaged boys are the same everywhere you go, gay or straight.  Yes, we decided to be chaperons.  I remember all too well what it was like at that age.”

Justin and Barbara laughed.  “I raised a couple of kids; why do you think my hair is all grey,” Barbara quipped.

“Gus is a great kid.  I was there the night he was born, although my partner would have you believe that we have to lock up our kids until they’re at least thirty.  It’s different somehow nowadays.  I don’t know why but it is.  We fought so hard to be able to be what we are.  I had the GLC, although I probably found out about it too late.  My partner is older than me; he had to learn things the hard way.”

“And now we, gay parents of gay children, are afraid that our children feel too free to ‘find themselves’.”

“Yes, silly isn’t it.  We fought hard so that our kids could feel secure and we’re afraid.  Why is that?”

“It’s called parenthood.  There isn’t a parent in the world that doesn’t feel the same way.  We have to hope that we’ve set a good example for our children and let them know we love them without reservation.”  Justin nodded.  “Now do tell, what potential does the famous artist Justin Taylor see in our kids?”

Justin smiled brightly and then retook the tour with Barbara.

“You avoiding me, Kinney?”  Brian was sipping a coffee while trying hard not to glare down some of the older boys as they cruised his son.  He felt Simon’s large paw on his shoulder.

“Not intentionally.”

“Gus speak to you?”

“Yeah, he did.  Look, Simon...”

“Easy there, pardner.  They’re boys.”

“Worse,” Brian said shaking his head.  “They’re gay boys and you know just as well as I do what that means.”

“But they’re not us, Brian.  I know you had a rep, and so did I.  And I so wish my boys were older so I don’t need to have a say in how they conduct themselves, but they’re not.  All we can do is be there and advise them.  We’re damn lucky our kids can come to us to talk.  Our parents didn’t understand, but we do.”

“I don’t want them to get hurt,” Brian said softly.

“Nothing is going to prevent that from happening; it’s a part of growing up.  You think you’re in love until someone new comes along.”

Brian sighed dramatically and Simon chuckled.

“You’ve been hanging around your friend Emmett too much.”  Simon clapped Brian on the back.  “Come on; let me buy you a fresh cup of coffee.  Brian, it will work out, besides, it was just a kiss.”

“A kiss is never just a kiss,” Brian retorted as he followed Simon toward the coffee.  


*****


“Justin,” Gus said as he came over to where Justin was standing beside the snack table.  “See that guy over there?”

“Huh?  Which one?” Justin asked following Gus’ not so subtle finger point.

“The guy with dark brown hair.”

“Yeah, I see him.  You interested?”

“Nah, but I might have been if he wasn’t so interested in you.”

“In me?” Justin asked, looking at the young man who seemed to be staring at him, now that he paid some attention.

“He’s definitely interested.”

“He can’t be,” Justin protested.

“Oh yeah, he definitely is.”

“Gus…”

“It’s okay, Justin.  I guess you and Pop have still got it.”

“Well, your father does,” Justin chuckled.

“Go dance with the old guy.  You’ll have the teeny boppers drooling,” Gus told him.

“We didn’t come here to dance.”

“I know.  You came here to keep an eye on me and Ray.”

“Where’s Ray?”

“Expanding his horizons.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s dancing with some guy over there,” Gus said pointing out Ray and a guy with dirty blond hair.  “It’s okay though.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, go get Pop.”

Justin sauntered over to his husband.  He couldn’t help a furtive look over his shoulder at the young man who continued to stare at him.

“Hey,” he said to Brian who was still talking with Simon.

“Hey, yourself,” Brian smiled.

“Wanna dance, big guy?”

“Huh?”

“You know, you, me, together on the dance floor, hips moving, swaying together,” Justin explained.

“I know what dancing is, twat.  What I don’t understand is why you want to do it in front of … teenagers.  This isn’t Babylon,” Brian protested.

“I didn’t ask you to do what we do at Babylon.  I just asked you to dance.”

“I thought we were supposed to be chaperons, not dancers.”

“Can’t we be both?”

Brian sighed.  “I’m not sure I’m up on the latest dances,” Brian said with a frown.  He stared at the gyrating bodies on the dance floor.

“I’ll make you look good,” Justin chuckled.

“You always do,” Brian said with a fond smile.

“Got that right.  Come on,” Justin said tugging on Brian’s arm.

“Go ahead, Brian.  I’ll keep an eye on the boys,” Simon told his friend.

Brian let himself be drawn out onto the floor by his husband.  They began gyrating to the music with Justin taking the lead in their dance and keeping it something fit for impressionable teens to view.  Brian stared into the blue eyes that he loved.  He let the music and his lover take him away, as only Justin could.  They were oblivious to all the eyes locked on their performance.  Many of the young men and a lot of the young ladies who were present were watching them.  They made such a striking pair.

When the song ended, Brian leaned down and kissed Justin’s cheek.  “I think we still have it,” Brian laughed, as he noticed all the eyes that were upon them.

“Guess so,” Justin giggled.  “I still love dancing with you, my big Smoosh.”

“Capital ‘S’?”

“Most assuredly.”

“Ahem, excuse me,” said a voice from behind Brian.  “Could I have this dance?”

Brian turned to look into the eyes of a very attractive Hispanic boy.  “I think you’re a little young for me,” Brian said trying to get out of the situation as easily and quickly as he could.

“Please,” the boy begged.

“Go ahead, Brian.  Make his day,” Justin whispered.

“Thanks a heap,” Brian griped as he started to sway to the music with his new partner.  The boy’s grin lit up the hall.

“That means you can dance with me,” said a voice to Justin.

“What?”  Justin turned to look at the dark haired boy who had been staring at him earlier.

“Dance with me,” the boy said.

“Um … I don’t think so.”

“Please.”

“Um … well, okay,” Justin gave in not wanting to hurt the boy’s feelings.  “One dance.”

“My name’s Joel.”

“Hello, Joel,” Justin said with a little smile as he let the music work its magic.

“What’s your name?”

“Justin.”

“Joel and Justin.  That has a nice ring to it.”

“What?  There is no Joel and Justin.  This is one dance,” Justin stated.  He looked over his shoulder where Brian was dancing in his inimitable style with the boy who had commandeered him.

“You’re a really good dancer,” Joel said.

“Thanks,” Justin replied praying that this was a short song that would soon be over.

“You looking for a good time?” the kid asked.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

“Propositioning you.”

“I didn’t think that kind of thing was allowed at the GLC.”

“It isn’t, but what they don’t know won’t hurt them,” Joel grinned.

“How old are you?”

“Seventeen.”

“How did you get to be so bold?” Justin asked.

“I go after what I want.”

Justin shuddered.  This boy sounded so much like him when he had gone after Brian Kinney all those years ago.  “I’m not available,” Justin declared.  He wanted to make that eminently clear to this young man.

“I don’t want much … just a one night stand.”

“They’re not all they’re cracked up to be,” Justin said trying to send out a warning.

“I’ve had a couple.”

“You have?”

“Yeah, they can be really exciting.”

“Are you … careful?”

“Of course.  We’d be really good together.  I can tell.”

The music stopped and Justin breathed a sigh of relief.  “It was … nice meeting you, Joel, but I think you have the wrong idea where I’m concerned.  I’m an old married man.”

“Not so old,” Joel grinned.

Brian stepped up behind Justin.  He had finished his dance with his teenage partner.  He wrapped his arms around Justin’s shoulders and pulled him back against his body.  “I need a drink,” Brian said looking from his husband to the teenage boy.

“I could use one too.  Thanks for the dance,” Justin said as he took Brian’s hand and walked away toward the refreshment table.  “Thanks for the rescue.”

“What the fuck did that kid think he was doing?” Brian demanded.

“He was looking for a one night stand.”

Brian nearly spewed the soda he had taken a drink of.  “Fuck!  I should go set him straight right now.”

“Leave him alone, Brian.  I handled it.  Besides, he reminded me a lot of … me!”

“That’s even more reason I need to go set him straight,” Brian stated as he turned to glare at the boy who was still eyeing Justin.

Justin giggled.  “Not everyone is as tenacious as I was.”

“Thank the gods.”

Justin stood on his tiptoes to kiss Brian’s cheek.  “I love you, and you have nothing to worry about,” he said with that husky voice that made Brian all warm inside.

“I may have something else to worry about.  Look at that.”

Justin turned to view Gus dancing with a redhead who was wrapped all around Gus’ lithe body.  They were certainly turning up the heat in the room.

“Remind you of anyone?” Justin asked.

“Too much.”

“He’s just having a good time, Brian.  There’s no backroom here.”

“Fuck!  Did you have to say that?”

Justin chuckled.  “He’s growing up.  You’ve got to cut him some slack.”

“Says who?”

“Your wise and caring partner.”

Brian hesitated.  He had been about to go out on the dance floor and place his arm between the two boys, the way he had done years ago when Justin was dancing too close with someone who wasn’t Brian.

“You sure?” Brian asked.

“Gus is a good kid.  Let him experience life.  You don’t want him doing this in a back alley somewhere, do you?”

“No, but…”

“There’s no but.  Leave him alone.  Come and dance with me again.”

“I…”

“Come on.  I’ll take your mind off Gus,” Justin said batting his eyelashes.

Brian groaned.  “When is this fucking dance over?”

“Soon.  Come on.”

Justin led his husband back to the dance floor.  They danced together seeing only each other.  Justin knew Joel was watching him, but he also knew that what he and Brian had was far more important and more satisfying than anything the youngster had to offer.  He smiled up at Brian knowing he had everything he could ever want right there in front of him.  He hoped Joel would find that someday too.


*****


When they left the GLC a short while later, Gus had the number of the boy he had been dancing with.  Raymond had connected with his dance partner too.  The two boys were excited and happy.

As the Kinney-Taylors got into their vehicle, Justin glanced up the street and saw Joel standing outside the front door of the GLC staring at him.  He gave a little wave and a smile.  Joel shook his head and walked away.

“You’re not encouraging him, are you?” Brian asked.

“No, just telling him that he’s worth something in this world.  He doesn’t need to be looking for one night stands,” Justin replied.

Brian smiled and kissed his husband hard.  “I’m going to take you home and fuck the most popular guy at the dance,” Brian whispered in Justin’s ear.  The words and the warm breath made Justin shiver with anticipation.

Gus watched them and knew that one night stands might be something in his future, but what he really wanted was exactly what his father and Justin had.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 11




“Gamma? What are we going to do today?” It was eight in the morning but Bree and Joan were wide awake.

“I think your fathers would like a nice quiet day today. They had a busy night last night and we’re going to be very busy tomorrow,” Joan answered reasonably, hoping to keep Bree quiet. They had gotten back to the hotel rather late after The Lion King. Briana was asleep the second her head hit the pillow. They had thoroughly enjoyed the show.

It was close to midnight when Gus, Brian and Justin made it back.

“Oh? What are we going to do tomorrow?”

“Your fathers want to take us to Coney Island.”

“The aquarium?”

“Yes. After breakfast, why don’t we go back to the library and read up on the aquarium. We can learn all about it. Maybe Gus will come with us. He can use the library’s computer. Would you like that?”

“Oh yes, Gamma. Can I go see if Gus is awake?” Bree slid off her bed to stand next to her grandmother’s bed.

“Go ahead but knock on his door and wait till he answers. He was at the dance last night.”

“Okay, Gamma,” Bree said as she kissed her grandmother’s cheek then left their room. Joan hugged herself as she counted her blessings.


*****


“Gus,” Bree whispered loudly as she knocked on her brother’s bedroom door.

“Hey, Squirt,” Gus mumbled, his head buried under his blanket.

“Can I come it?”

“Sure.”

Bree pushed the door open then scrambled to her brother’s bed. “Can you come to the li-berry with me and Gamma Joan?”

“Uh, do I have to?” Gus groaned then hid under his pillow. Bree picked up a corner of the pillow and got right in her brother’s face.

“Pleeeeeeez. We need you to look on the puter to find out about the aquarium,” Bree begged, batting her eyes.

Gus groaned. “Okay. Let’s make a deal. Let me sleep one more hour and then we get breakfast and then we can take Grandma Joan to the library. I need my beauty sleep, short stuff.”

“Okay, Gus,” Bree said, happy to compromise. She dropped the pillow back on her brother’s head. She was about to leave his room when she picked up the corner of the pillow again. “Gus?”

“Mmm,” Gus mumbled, cracking open only one eye. His sister’s violet blue eye was about an inch away from his.

“Do I need beauty sleep?”

“No, Squirt, you’re beautiful just the way you are,” Gus said in all honesty. He was rewarded with his sister’s version of a sunshine smile.

Bree kissed her brother’s nose, patted down the pillow then left the room with a quiet, “Later.” Bree heard Gus’ mumbled response.


*****


“Hey,” Justin mumbled as he awoke. When they had gotten back to their hotel, they checked on their sleeping beauty and Joan, bid Gus a good night and promptly went to sleep.

“Hey, yourself. This must have been a first for us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come back home after a night of drinking and dancing and then going right to bed...to sleep. I don’t think we’ve ever done that. We must be getting old.”

“Speak for yourself,” Justin groaned as he stretched and wiggled his toes under the sheets. “It was only coffee and soda and we only danced a few dances. And you’re not old. Those young men at the GLC can attest to that. You were just as in demand as you ever were.”

“So were you, Sunshine. And I don’t want to be in demand, especially by kids young enough to be my own,” Brian griped.

“Oh stop.”

“But I did fall right to sleep. I am getting old.” Brian scowled, prepared for self pity.

“Brian, the reason you fell right to sleep is that you were up since five going over contracts and renovation plans. You were at work by eight. Had a breakfast meeting at nine, closed the deal by ten and then you were at it again with a lunch meeting by noon. You haven’t stopped since we came into the city. You have a right to be tired. You’ve been worried about Gus and don’t try to deny that you call Joan, on that cell phone that you got for her, several times a day to make sure they’re all right.”

Brian made a face.

“So there. You can sleep all you want, you deserve it.”

“But sleep cuts into my fucking time.”

“That’s our fucking time and just think of it as your body preparing itself for me. A well rested Brian Kinney is a happy, horny and UP Brian Kinney.”

“I’m always up, Sunshine,” Brian purred into his spouse’s ear.

“Don’t I know it. Why don’t you give me an appetizer and then we can have the main course after a shower and breakfast,” Justin purred back, slowing batting his eyes.

“Whatever you wish, Sunshine,” Brian said as he kissed his lover good morning, whetting his appetite with a good long taste.


*****


“Curtis,” Raph called.

“Yes,” Curtis replied sticking his head out of his bedroom door.

“Would you come down here, please?”

“Did I do something wrong?” Curtis asked as he descended the stairs.

Raph sighed. “Curtis, when I call you, it doesn’t always mean that I have a problem with you.”

“Oh, then what is it?”

“How would you like to go to the park this afternoon?”

“The park?” Curtis asked.

“Yes, the state park. I thought we could pack a picnic lunch and maybe go swimming in the lake.”

“Swimming?” Curtis’ eyes had got very large.”

“Yes, it’s supposed to be really hot today.”

“Oh.”

“It would feel good to get in the water and cool off, wouldn’t it?” Raph asked.

Curtis shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

“Why not?” Raph frowned trying to figure out why Curtis was so reluctant to take part in what should be a pleasurable experience.

Curtis stared at the floor and mumbled, “Ican’tswim.”

“What?”

“I said I can’t fucking swim!” Curtis yelled. “Just go without me, okay. Leave me here. I don’t care.” Curtis started back up the stairs.

“Halt!” Raph ordered in his best authoritative voice. He saw Curtis freeze immediately. “Look at me,” Raph ordered. Curtis’ head turned and he managed to get his eyes to raise to a level where he could look at Raph. Raph watched a shudder pass through the boy. “Curtis, listen to me, please.”

Curtis stared at the floor not wanting to look at Raph anymore than he had to. Curtis knew what was coming next. He’d been in this situation many times.

“Are you listening?” Curtis nodded, waiting to hear what his punishment for being loud and argumentative would be. “I didn’t know you couldn’t swim. You don’t have to go near the water if you don’t want to.”

“I don’t?” Curtis was surprised. That’s not what he had been expecting.

“No, you don’t. We’re not going to make you do anything you don’t want to do.”

“You aren’t?”

“I mean it, Curtis. I want you to trust us. You simply have to tell us if something isn’t right. Do you understand me?”

“Yes, sir,” Curtis replied, his eyes still glued to the floor.

“Forget about the swimming,” Raph said. “How does a picnic sound?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever been on a picnic,” Curtis said sadly.

“Then today’s a good day to try something new.”

“I guess so.”

“That’s my boy!” Raph replied with a big smile.

Curtis looked up at Raph’s words. “I … I’m your boy?”

“I thought that’s what this whole living together and getting used to each other was about. I want you to be my son, and I don’t want you to be afraid of me. I’ll never hurt you.”

Curtis stared into Raph’s eyes. “I believe you,” he said slowly. “If the Hardigans had told me they were going swimming, I would have had to swim too. And … and if I drowned, that would be even better.”

“Fuck!” Raph said stepping towards the stairs where Curtis still stood on the bottom step. He touched Curtis’ shoulder and found a sobbing boy in his arms. Raph hugged him with all he was worth. “Nothing like that is going to happen to you here,” Raph whispered.

“I know,” Curtis said softly, regaining some control. “But … sometimes I forget that.”

“It’s okay, son. I’ll keep reminding you.”

“Thanks,” Curtis replied as Raph released his grip.

He set Curtis back on the bottom step. “I could teach you to swim, if you want.”

“Maybe next time. I think the picnic will be enough for today.”

“Picnic it is! Hector’s already making sandwiches.”

“Um … what should I wear to a picnic?” Curtis asked.

“What you have on is fine,” Raph told him, looking at the shorts and T-shirt the boy wore. “You don’t have to dress for a picnic.”

“I know,” Curtis said with a big smile. “I just wanted to see what you’d say.” He giggled at the look on Raph’s face.

“Why you little…” Raph chuckled. “Get up those stairs and gather up whatever you want to bring with you. We’re leaving as soon as you’re ready.”

“Okay,” Curtis said cheerily as he ran up the stairs.

Raph shook his head as he watched the boy disappear into his room. He’d have to remember not to take for granted what Curtis had experienced or had not experienced in his young life. He hoped he had convinced Curtis that it was okay to be whatever he was. There were no unreasonable expectations in this house. Raph headed to the kitchen to tell Hector to make extra sandwiches for their hungry boy.


*****


“What are you doing, Mama?” JR asked as she walked into the kitchen.

Melanie was sitting at the table looking at a piece of paper. “I’m trying to figure out where to put everything in the backyard for the party.”

“I thought Auntie Emm was going to look after the party.”

“He is, but I have some ideas of my own.”

“Oh. Can I help?”

“I don’t think so, sweetheart. This is a grown up party.”

“You mean I can’t come?”

“Well, I … um … I thought maybe you could go to your dad’s for the day.” Melanie didn’t want to disappoint her daughter, but she really didn’t want her at the party.

“Oh,” JR said her face falling. “I thought I’d be invited. We never have parties. Bree has parties all the time.”

“Fucking Bree,” Melanie mumbled under her breath.

“What’s going on?” Lindsay asked as she came into the kitchen.

“I was just telling JR about how much fun she’ll have with Michael while we’re having the party,” Melanie said trying to give her wife the high sign to back her up.

“Aren’t Michael and Ben invited?” Lindsay asked.

“We’re mostly having business acquaintances,” Melanie stated.

“Are we?”

“I thought you understood that.”

“I thought the business acquaintances were in addition to some of our family and friends.” Lindsay knew this wasn’t going to make Melanie happy, but she would not have everyone they knew and loved excluded from the party. It was bad enough that Mel had chosen to have the party while Brian and Justin and their son were all in New York.

“Well, we can discuss that later.”

“I thought the invitations went out today,” Lindsay reminded her.

“They did.”

“And the ones for Michael and Ben and Ted and Allen, were they amongst them?”

“Well, I thought I’d hold off on those until we made some final decisions.” Melanie felt the color rise in her face. She had been caught out, and now her daughter and her wife were both going to be mad at her.

“I told you who I wanted to invite,” Lindsay said. “Or maybe they didn’t get invitations either.” The chill in her voice was very evident.

“Of course they did. I sent them with all the rest.”

“Then I suggest you send the ones to our family too, or I may find that I can’t attend either,” Lindsay said firmly.

“Okay, sure, I’ll go put them in the post this afternoon.” Melanie realized she had made a huge mistake.

“Then what about me, Mama?” JR asked. “Where will I go?”

“You’re not going anywhere,” Melanie stated. “You’re going to be here at our party. I want you here,” she added. And she did mean that. She was sorry for the way she had presented this to her daughter.

“Thank you, Mama. I’ll be real good.”

“You just be yourself,” Melanie said gently. “That will suit us just fine.”

Lindsay smiled at her wife. She hadn’t been at all pleased with what she had walked into. The idea of Melanie excluding their real friends and family in favor of virtual strangers was just too much for her to live with. At least Melanie seemed to have got the point and was changing her attitude.

“I could help,” JR said tentatively. She wanted to be part of the party.

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” Melanie said.

“I think some of our guests might bring their children,” Lindsay offered. “Would you like to invite a friend from school, and maybe you and your friend could have a games area for the younger children.”

“I could do that, Mommy,” JR said with a smile.

“That’s my girl,” Melanie agreed. She hadn’t been aware that people might bring children.

“Then that’s settled,” Lindsay said with a nod in Mel’s direction.

“Yes, settled,” Melanie agreed. “I better get those other invitations and take them to the mailbox.

“Good idea,” Lindsay said as she put on the kettle to make a cup of tea.

JR smiled at her mothers. She wanted to be part of the party and now she was.


*****


After an excellent first round, a well rested Brian and Justin emerged from their room. Gus, Joan and Bree had just finished a light breakfast. Joan, taking advantage of the suite’s small kitchenette, had prepared something simple for her grandchildren. Now they were getting ready to go the ‘li-berry’ with Bree. Room service was knocking on the door with a hearty breakfast ordered up by Joan for her son and son-in-law. Joan never believed her son had enough meat on his bones and Justin’s appetite remained legendary.

“What’s all this?” Brian asked as he entered the main room.

“We’re going to the li-berry, Dada!” Bree answered with enthusiasm, as she flung herself into her Dada’s arms. “Are you now?” Brian replied, kissing her face then setting her down.

“I ordered breakfast for two,” Joan stated, as the waiter rolled in the cart and began to uncover all sorts of breakfast delicacies.

“Two?” Brian said as he spied the massive feast. He tipped the waiter as he left the room.

“Brian, I know you value a trim figure but sometimes a little indulgence every now and then is not such a bad thing. You work very hard; it’s okay to treat yourself,” Joan stated calmly.

“See, Brian,” Justin began, “I’ve always said you should eat more. Thank you, Joan,” Justin said smugly.

“You’re welcome. Justin,” Joan paused trying to phrase what she wanted to say delicately. “Brian was always very thin even as a boy; he never had much of an appetite. However, you, young man, should watch what you eat.”

“He does watch what he eats, mother, he watches it as he stuffs it into his mouth,” Brian said with a smirk as Joan tried hard not to laugh. Justin was momentarily flustered then marveled at the fact that Brian and his mother had gotten close enough to joke around, even if it was at his expense.

“I think my Daddy is just right!” Bree declared, coming to her daddy’s rescue.

“Thank you, baby,” Justin said as he scooped her up in his arms to give her a kiss.

“I love your tummy, Daddy,” Bree said as she reached down to pat her father’s slightly rounded belly. Justin blushed as Joan, Brian and Gus broke out into laughter. Justin kissed his daughter then handed her off to Gus. After many goodbyes, Brian and Justin were finally alone to enjoy their breakfast and the day.

Watching his sullen spouse push the food around on his plate, Brian offered his admiration for Justin’s physique.

“I love your tummy too, Sunshine,” Brian said coyly as he took a piece of melon, bit off a small piece then via a kiss, fed it to his lover. “I love every bit of you,” Brian purred. Justin smiled his special smile for Brian then ate his breakfast in earnest.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 12




“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said as he looked up from the computer screen in the library. The little touch on his leg had come from his sister.

“You done yet?” Bree asked.

Gus chuckled. “I found out about the aquarium and we’ve got tickets.”

“Yay!”

“So what have you been doing?”

“Gamma and me found a whole bunch of new books to read.”

“You love books, don’t ya, Squirt?”

Bree bobbed her head in agreement. “Books are the bestest.”

“Yeah,” Gus said with a laugh.

“Come and read with me and Gamma Joan?” Bree requested batting her eyelashes at her brother.

Gus was about to acquiesce when he looked up and saw a familiar face. “Um, Bree, I see someone I know over there. Can you read with Grandma Joan for a while and I’ll … um … I’ll meet you later.”

Bree studied her brother with a frown on her little face. It wasn’t like Gus to turn her down. “Who do you know in N’York?” she asked innocently.

“It’s … um … someone I met at the dance last night.”

“Oh, okay,” Bree said, thinking that it would be all right if Gus had already met this person before. She ran over to the children’s section where Joan was sitting in a rocking chair waiting for her.

Gus glanced over at the young man who had walked in. He smiled and cocked his head towards the lobby. They could talk there without being told to shush.

“Hey,” Gus said as he walked up to the young man. “Glad you could meet me.”

“I was surprised to get your call so soon.”

“I … I really enjoyed dancing with you last night, Cole,” Gus said honestly. They found an empty bench where they could talk quietly. “I hope you liked it too.”

“I did,” Cole replied.

“I’m only in New York for a month, but I’d like to get to know you better if that’s all right.”

“Sounds good to me. Want to go outside and grab a soda?”

“Um … I’m here with my sister and my grandmother. I can’t really leave.”

“Can’t you blow them off? Tell them that you’re thirsty and you’re going to grab something down the street,” Cole prodded.

“Okay,” Gus said slowly. “I guess I could do that.”

“Do it,” Cole said with a provocative grin.

Gus got up and walked back to the children’s section. Joan and Bree were still in the rocking chair reading a story.

“Grandma?” Gus said.

“Hi, Gus, we’ll be done in a few minutes if you’re ready to leave,” Joan responded.

“I … I … um … I thought I’d go down the street and get something to drink,” Gus stammered.

“Oh, we can all go. I’ll just be a few minutes more.”

“Why don’t you take your time with the story, and I’ll go get a drink. I’ll be back in … um … fifteen minutes.”

“Don’t you want us to come with you?” Bree asked, a hurt look on her face.

“Sure, short stuff, but you want to finish your story, don’t you?” Gus asked.

“Yes, but…”

“I’ll be back in fifteen minutes,” Gus said quickly and walked away before either his grandmother or his sister could question him more.

Gus met up with Cole and they walked down the street to a vendor’s cart and got a soda each. Cole was funny and Gus enjoyed being with him. They cracked jokes and window shopped as they walked along.

“I should get back,” Gus said reluctantly.

“Why?”

“I told them I’d be back in fifteen minutes and it’s already after that.”

“Who cares? They can get themselves home, can’t they?”

“Yeah, but…”

“Let’s go do something fun?” Cole suggested.

“Like what?”

“I know a private place we could be together.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” Cole took Gus’ elbow and started to move down the street.

“Wait. I can’t.”

“Chicken?”

“No, no, I’m not a chicken, but they’ll be waiting for me.”

Cole sighed. “Okay, little boy, you do what you have to do. I have better things to occupy my time.”

“Wait, Cole. My family’s going to Coney Island tomorrow. Maybe I could meet you there?”

“Coney Island? Nobody goes there anymore.”

“Well, we do,” Gus replied. “Please.”

“I’m not looking for time with your family, Gus. I wanted some time … alone with you.”

“I … I want that too. Meet me at Coney Island tomorrow and we’ll work something out. I promise.”

“All right,” Cole agreed. “But you better make it worth my while to head all the way out there.”

“I will,” Gus said with a smile. “Now I have to get back.”

“See you tomorrow. Call me with the time you’ll be there.”

Gus nodded and then ran back to the library. He found Joan and Bree standing by the front door of the library looking up and down the street for him.

“Sorry I was so long. I had to walk way down the street to find a place that sold sodas,” Gus lied.

“That’s strange,” Joan replied. “They sell them in that convenience store right across the street.

“Oh,” Gus laughed nervously. “I didn’t notice it.”

Joan raised an eyebrow. This wasn’t like her intelligent and very observant grandson. She had a funny feeling something was going on, but she didn’t want to pressure Gus and make him more secretive. She would keep her eyes open until she knew what was happening.

“Let’s grab a cab back to the hotel,” Joan said.

Gus flagged down a cab and they climbed in. Bree had been watching her brother wondering why he seemed so different. She didn’t say anything but she was worried about him. She wanted her old Gus back.

Cole watched them all get in the cab before he turned around and headed home. He wondered if the very handsome Gus Kinney would be as good as his word tomorrow. It would be worth it to find out.


*****


“Hey, there, big boy, can I tempt you away from all this?” Drew was standing at the counter of Emmett’s Place. Emmett had his head in an oven removing a new batch of fruit tarts. It had to be well over one hundred degrees near the ovens. And Emmett looked like he was feeling every one of those degrees.

“I can’t, Drewsie. We have a party to do later today. These tarts are for it.” Emmett was looking like a wet dish rag.

“Babe, please tell me you’re not doing this on your own.”

“No, Honey. Sean is bringing the van around. The salads and cold platters are in the fridge ready to go and the buns and rolls are all bagged. All that’s left are the pastry trays. More help should be arriving soon.”

“Can I help?”

“Sweetie, just be patient with me and rub my feet every night. It’ll calm down after the 4th.”

“All right, Babe. But promise me you’re going to hire more people.”

“He already has,” Sean, Emmett’s first and most trusted employee/partner, replied as he came through the door. “We’ve hired three more people for this place and the event planning business. And there’s the whole crew that will run the restaurant.”

“I’m glad to hear that. You boys have been doing the work of ten since you opened this place. By the way, what are you going to call the restaurant?” Drew asked, happy to hear the news that they’d finally have more help.

“Emmett’s Place Too! Spelled t-o-o, as in also. Kinda like when Brian named his second branch in Harrisburg, Part Deux,” Emmett said with pride but also a little apprehension. “Too much?” he asked his lover and life partner with a shrug.

“Nah, I like it and I love you. Now, why don’t you let me at least help load up the van. Moving heavy objects is something I can do.” Drew’s offer could not be refused by Emmett and Sean.

“Thank you, Sweetie, I gladly accept your offer,” Emmett said with a toothy smile then leaned over to give his he-man a kiss.

“Why can’t I find a man like yours?” Sean said with a sigh.

“My Drewsie is one of a kind,” Emmett boasted as he removed another tray from the oven.

“Sean, you like them big and brawny?” Drew asked Emmett’s young assistant.

“Who wouldn’t?” Sean replied as he began to arrange the dainty confections on a decorative tray.

“Then I know just the man for you. He’s a lineman for the Ironmen. Big kid, 6' 4", 280 pounds of muscle. But I have to warn you, us ball players aren’t always the smartest cards in the deck.”

“Oh Drewsie, you’re one of the smartest men I know,” Emmett gushed.

“Babe, the smartest thing I have ever done was hook up with you,” Drew said with a wink, eliciting a sigh from both Emmett and Sean. “What time you boys gonna wrap up your shindig?”

“We should be all done by seven tonight, why?” Emmett asked.

“Then why don’t you boys meet me at Woody’s later and I’ll bring the kid. His name is Anthony and he hates when people call him Tony.”

“I’ll remember that,” Sean said. “Good first impressions are always a plus,” Sean beamed.

“Things have certainly changed in the sports world, haven’t they, Honey?” Emmett asked, referring to the time when Drew came out on national TV.

“Yes, they have. It hasn’t completely changed but it’s getting there.”

Emmett nodded then glanced at his watch. Clapping his hands, he fired off his orders. “Let’s go people; we have a party to give!”

“Aye, aye Captain,” Sean answered with a salute.

“Whatever you say, Babe,” Drew said with a smile. Several more of Emmett’s minions entered the bistro and began to lend a hand.


*****


“Daddy, why doesn’t Gus like me anymore?” Bree asked Justin.

They had returned from the library and Gus had headed for his room as soon as he thought it was safe to do so. Bree had wanted him to read to her. It seemed that she could never get enough of her “bestest books”. Gus had declined as gently as he could and disappeared from sight. No one had seen him since.

“I’m sure Gus likes you very much, sweetheart,” Justin told her. He was sketching, thinking about what he might paint on Monday when he thought he’d take advantage of the studio space Kyle had directed him to. Brian had gone over to N’Rgy to talk to Stacey and Ken about something.

“Unh unh,” Bree contradicted her father. She was sitting on the floor at Justin’s feet, drawing in her own sketchbook.

“What do you mean? Did Gus do something?”

“He wouldn’t wait for us to finish our story at the li-berry. Gamma told him we’d only be a few minutes and we’d go with him, but he went without us.”

“Where did he go without you?” Justin asked wondering what this was all about. It wasn’t like Gus to take off on his grandmother and sister.

“I don’t know. He went down the street without us.”

“I see,” Justin said although he wasn’t at all sure that he did see.

“And now he won’t read to me,” Bree pouted.

“I’ll read to you,” Justin volunteered.

“It’s okay. I like drawing with you, Daddy.”

“I like drawing with you too,” Justin grinned.

Bree frowned. “Maybe I did something to make Gus mad.”

“I don’t think so, sweetheart. Gus is growing up. Sometimes teenagers like to be by themselves.”

“Oh.”

Justin smiled. He thought he had effectively quashed Bree’s worries and had given her an honest explanation.

“When will I be a teenager?”

“Much too soon,” Justin replied quickly.

“But when will that be?”

“In about eight years.”

“Eight years?” Bree asked with very large violet eyes. “But I’m only five now.” She held up her hand with her fingers splayed to reinforce her age.

“That’s right,” Justin chuckled. “So you have to live five more years and three more after that.” Justin used his own fingers to show Bree the number of years that would have to pass before she reached the dreaded teenage years.

Bree frowned, looking like she was calculating. “That’s forever!”

“Not quite,” Justin chuckled. “But it is quite a while. I don’t want you to be a teenager any sooner than necessary.”

“Why?”

Justin sighed. He could certainly understand why Brian worried so much about Bree’s questions and how to answer them. He often had his own taste of Bree’s questioning skills.

“Let’s get some chocolate milk,” Justin suggested knowing that there was a quart in the fridge in the kitchenette.

“Yum, I love chocklet milk.”

“Me too.”

Justin poured the milk hoping he had ended Bree’s string of questions or at least distracted her until they finished their chocolate milk.


*****


“So how do you like a picnic so far?” Hector asked Curtis.

“Not bad,” Curtis said, his mouth full of sandwich.

“You sure you don’t have a hollow leg?” Raph asked.

“Is that a medical condition?” Curtis responded with a grin.

“Yes, it’s called neverfullitis, and the treatment can be very costly.”

“I’m sorry. I’m eating too much, aren’t I? Am I eating too much? I didn’t mean to cost you a lot of money. I’m sorry,” Curtis apologized hastily. He set his half eaten sandwich down on the paper plate and stared at the ground.

“I was teasing, Curtis,” Raph said quickly. “Hector made extra sandwiches. You eat as many of them as you like.”

“Are you sure?” Curtis looked into Raph’s eyes, and then over at Hector. They both smiled and nodded at him. Curtis picked up his sandwich and gnawed off another big piece. “You make the best sandwiches, Hector. I love them.”

“Thank you very much. I’m glad to be of service.”

“Were you hungry when you … lived with the Hardigans?” Raph asked gently. He was still trying to learn whatever he could about Curtis’ life in foster care.

“No, never really hungry. They knew we’d tell the social worker if they starved us. But I don’t ever remember being full either. And the food was pretty shitty. Pardon my language.”

Raph chuckled. “I think calling something shitty when it obviously was shitty is very appropriate.” That got a smile out of Curtis. “What about when you were on the streets?”

“I was really hungry a few times then, but there is a lot of good food thrown away out of restaurants and fast food places. I did all right most of the time. But it was the cold that was really terrible. There were some nights that I thought I wouldn’t wake up the next morning. I could hardly feel my fingers and my toes.”

“You were very brave,” Hector stated.

“No, I was stupid. I should never have run away when the cold weather was coming.”

“Why did you?” Raph asked.

“They … the Hardigans locked me in the closet for a couple of days and they wouldn’t let me go to school. I knew I couldn’t stand it any longer. I had to get away.”

“I’m glad you did get away, and I’m glad you found us,” Raph said honestly.

“Me too.” Curtis couldn’t conceive of a better outcome.

“Want to go for a dip?” Hector asked standing up. “I’m hot.”

“Okay,” Raph said getting up too. “You want to come, Curtis? You could just walk along the edge if you don’t want to get all wet.”

“Naw, I’ll just stay here and finish my sandwich.”

“Okay, we’ll be back in a few minutes,” Hector said as he and Raph ran into the water and plunged under.

Curtis watched from the blanket marveling that these two men had taken him in and were so nice to him. He wasn’t sure why this had happened, and he was sure that he didn’t deserve it, but he was going to enjoy every minute of his new life for as long as it lasted.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 13




It was still early in the evening, Brian had called stating he would be back by seven so they could all have dinner together. Joan and Bree were going over their plans for the next day’s expedition to the New York Aquarium. Joan also wanted to look through the list of books Gus had recommended regarding basic computer knowledge. Danny’s Bookstore might have the appearance of a quaint turn of the 19th century shop; however, the volumes were ordered, tracked and inventoried by computer. Joan needed a crash course. So she and Bree were happy in their room at present.

“Jus, can I talk to you?” Gus asked softly. Justin was sitting in their shared living room sketching a picture of Bree playing fetch with Beau. The room was light and airy, affording enough natural light for Justin to draw.

“Sure, buddy,” Justin answered, closing his sketch book for the moment. “What’s up?”

“You met my dad when you were seventeen, right?”

“Yes.”

“And you knew what you wanted.”

“I knew I wanted him the minute I saw him. Why?”

“And he was your first?”

“Yes, he was my first. Gus, did something happen today? Bree said you left the library and she’s under the impression that you don’t like her anymore.”

“What? No, I love her, but sometimes a guy needs...”

“You don’t have to explain to me. Remember, I have Mollusk.”

Gus laughed out loud. He’d never dream of calling Aunt Molly, Mollusk. “And she had her Jester. Justin, what was it like, your first time? I really need to know,” Gus pleaded.

“Don’t you think you should be having this talk with your dad?”

“I will but I need a different point of view.” Justin’s eyes grew wide at the implication.

“Let’s go into your room,” Justin said. as he led the boy into his room and shut the door for privacy. He turned to face Gus who was just about his father’s height which meant he was several inches taller than Justin. “You want to know what it’s like from a bottom’s perspective.”

“I think so. Dad said something like it could hurt and doing damage and...”

“Wait, there’s more to sex than just penetration.”

Gus rolled his eyes. “Justin, I’m not that naive. I know about hand jobs and blowjobs and I’ve got rimming figured out.”

“You do?” Justin blushed as he recalled Brian’s words, “Now you know what rimming is,” after Brian first ate his ass. That’s when Justin found out what a slut he could be for Brian’s tongue. Shaking off the memory, Justin turned his attention back to Gus. “What do you want to know?”


*****


“Ted! What brings you out here?” John asked as Ted got out of his car and began to walk around the Village.

“I wanted to ask you if I can send a photographer around later next week. We want to start the advertising for the Village. We have all the work in progress pictures that Gus took. Now we want the finished project. It’ll all build up to the grand opening on Labor Day then we get ready for the holidays.”

“Damn, it’s still June and you’re talking about Christmas!” John exclaimed.

“Yes, well, we have to be one step ahead in advertising,” Ted said by way of explanation. “Is Emmett’s open for business yet?” They walked over and stood in front of the new restaurant.

“Not yet. He hired the staff and the decorators are almost done. But he wants to be here, and with all the July 4th parties he has in the works, he’s decided to wait until the beginning of August. But Drew’s place is ready to launch.”

“Yes, we’re handling his promos too. With each of the businesses staggering their grand openings and appealing to different types of customers, it’ll keep bringing the people into the area.”

“Exactly. Come on; let me give you the grand tour.” With that, John led Ted through the Village.


*****


“Hiya, Ma!” Michael called out as he and Ben walked through Debbie’s door. They had come over for a visit.

“Sweetheart!” Debbie gushed then planted a gooey kiss on Michael’s cheek. As he was trying to recover, Debbie planted one on Ben’s cheek. “What brings you here?”

“Do I need a reason to visit?”

“Of course not, honey, but you’re going to be here tomorrow night for Sunday dinner with my Jenny Rebecca, aren’t you?” Debbie scowled, daring her son to contradict her.

“We’ll be here, Deb,” Ben reassured his mother-in-law as he stuck his head in the refrigerator looking for juice.

“Inside the door, sweetie. I keep a bottle of your brand,” Deb stated, as she glared at her son. “What’s going on, Michael?”

“Nothing, Ma. Like Ben said, we’ll be here tomorrow night.” Michael smiled sweetly.

“And on the Fourth? You’ll be here for our barbecue? Carl’s having some of his buddies from the force and I’ve even invited Kiki. Teddy and Allen are coming and Hunter and his doctor Nick. Raph and Hector with Curtis will be coming too. That poor little boy, I have to put some meat on his bones.” Debbie paused, noting that neither Ben nor Michael had said a word. “You will be here on the Fourth of July. I asked Emmett and his hunk but he’s doing a party.”

“We know,” Michael ventured.

“You know what, Michael? Michael?”

“Ma, Mel and Lindsay are throwing a party and Ben and I were invited.” Michael suddenly found the carpet fascinating.

“You and Ben?” Michael nodded. “What about the rest of the family?”

“Brian's in New York,” Michael said.

“I know that, besides, Melanie would never invite him even though he invites her to every family gathering. And he treats JR like his own. I just don’t understand Melanie sometimes. So how did you get an invite?”

“I think that was Lindsay’s doing,” Ben stated from the kitchen. He just hoped to keep the peace. He had no idea what Mel was up to; however, a few of his colleagues were invited as well.

“Hmm, this sounds suspiciously like a party someone else threw a long time ago.” Debbie glared at Michael, making him wish he could walk out into the backyard like Brian would when things got a little too much to handle.

“What party was that?” Ben asked in all innocence.

“Get your husband to tell you about it sometime. Michael, far be it for me to get in the way of your social climbing; however, my barbecue is set for four in the afternoon. See if you two can make it for dessert,” Debbie said as a compromise.

“Okay, Ma,” Michael sighed with relief. “I love you, Ma.”

“Love you too, Sweetheart. Can I get you something to eat?”


*****


“Hey, Cole,” Gus said into his cell phone. “Whatja doin’?” He hoped his voice sounded sexy.

“I … um … I was … just talking to my cousin before you called.”

“Your cousin?”

“Yeah, his name’s Lex. What are you doing? You didn’t call to tell me that you don’t want me to meet you at Coney Island tomorrow, did you?”

“No, nothing like that. I’m looking forward to meeting you at Coney Island.” In fact, Gus knew he could hardly wait to see Cole again.

”Good. Do you think you can ditch your family for a while? I’d like to spend some time with you.”

“I … um … I’m not so sure about that,” Gus hedged. “I’d like some time with you too.” Gus didn’t like the idea of blowing off his family again, especially since Justin had told him that Bree thought he didn’t like her anymore, but he didn’t see any way around it if he wanted some time with Cole. He was torn about what to do.

“I thought that was the fucking idea of me meeting you there,” Cole stated, anger evident in his voice.

“How would you like to meet my family?” Gus asked hopefully. Maybe they could all be together, and he’d still be with Cole.

“I didn’t want to meet your parents at the GLC and I don’t want to meet them tomorrow. I’m not into parents,” Cole said decisively.

“I know what you mean,” Gus sighed. Sometimes parents really cramped your style.

“So, if you don’t think you can get away from the ‘rents for a while then I don’t think I’ll be there.”

“I … I’ll be able to get away for a while,” Gus promised. “I’ll manage it somehow. I’ll call you as soon as I’m by myself.”

“Okay.” Cole cut the connection. He sat back on his bed thinking about some of the things he wanted to do with the tasty tidbit called Gus Kinney.


*****


“How did your meeting go?” Justin asked as Brian came into the suite at the hotel.

“Not bad.”

“So, you’re free for dinner?”

“I could be.”

“I thought maybe we could go out for dinner. I kind of get tired of the hotel food, even though it’s pretty good.”

“I know,” Brian agreed. “Where’s everybody else?”

“Bree and Joan are in their room. They’ve been reading and working on the laptop. And probably … napping.”

Brian chuckled. “That’s good. I guess nobody missed me.”

“I always miss you, big guy,” Justin said with a sparkle in his blue eyes.

Brian smiled and touched Justin’s cheek. He always loved that kind of affirmation from his husband. “Where’s Gus?”

“In his room.”

“Has he been in there all afternoon?”

Justin nodded. “I … um … had a little chat with him … about S-E-X.”

“You did? I thought that was my job.”

“He had some questions about what it’s like to bottom.”

“Fuck!”

“What? I gave him good information,” Justin declared, feeling somewhat offended by Brian’s reaction to what he had done.

“It’s not that. I was fucking afraid that he was going to be a bottom. My brother and now my son…” Brian shook his head in disbelief.

“Do you want to talk to him?” Justin asked.

“No, I’m sure you told him whatever was necessary.” Brian flopped down on the sofa.

“Brian, you know he’s young and inexperienced,” Justin said turning to face his lover. “He doesn’t know what he is yet. He just wants to experience everything … and he doesn’t want to appear too naïve and scared when he does.”

“You mean like you were?” Brian asked with his tongue in cheek.

“If I didn’t know you better, I’d be offended by that remark,” Justin replied trying to look stern.

“You know you were naïve and scared that first time.”

“Scared shitless,” Justin chuckled.

“I seem to remember something about you liking the cereal Special K and playing Tomb Raider.”

“You remember that?” Justin asked in amazement.

“I remember everything,” Brian bragged.

“Apparently so.”

“You were quite adorable … back then.”

“And now?”

“Irresistible!”

“Good answer.”

“Only good?” Brian asked with a waggle of his eyebrows.

“Very good,” Justin corrected as he leaned into Brian.

“If you want to be fed first, you better keep your distance,” Brian warned.

Justin giggled and sat back at his end of the sofa.

“Gus!” Brian called.

“Yeah, Pop?” Gus said sticking his head out of his bedroom.

“What are you doing in there?”

“Jerking off,” Gus said with a grin.

“Sonny Boy,” Brian said in his best warning voice.

“Just watching TV,” Gus amended.

“We were thinking of going down the street to that Italian restaurant for dinner. You up for that?”

“Sure,” Gus agreed.

“Go check with Joan and your sister,” Justin suggested to Gus.

Gus gave Justin a look and then nodded. “Okay,” he said walking over to the bedroom door and tapping before entering.

“Why did you send him in there?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow.

“It’s better than having you bellow across the suite.”

“I do not bellow.”

“Gus has some making up to do with the two women in there,” Justin stated, deciding that Brian needed to know what had happened at the library.

“What do you mean?” Brian asked.

“Apparently Gus disappeared for a while at the library. Joan and Bree were getting worried about him by the time he came back.”

Brian frowned. “Why didn’t anybody mention this to me?”

“You’ve been over at N’Rgy. I just found out a while ago when Bree told me she didn’t think Gus liked her anymore.”

“Why did she say that?”

“She thinks Gus doesn’t want to spend time with her since he abandoned them at the library.”

“And doesn’t he?”

“I think he’s a teenage boy and he wants some time on his own.”

“Is that all or is something more going on?”

“I don’t know about anything else, but I think we need to keep our eyes open,” Justin suggested.

Brian nodded. “The teenage years have to be the fucking worst.”

“Yeah, the only good thing is that Gus will be past them by the time Bree is entering them.”

Brian groaned. “I don’t even want to contemplate that event.”

“It will happen whether you want to face it or not.”

“I know. What am I going to do?” Brian moaned.

“You still have a few years, and I’ll be here to help you through it,” Justin chuckled.

“Twat!” Brian laughed as he pulled Justin against him.


*****


“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said as he entered the bedroom. Bree looked up at her brother with a frown, but she didn’t reply. “Grandma Joan, I want to say again that I’m sorry for disappearing at the library.”

“That’s all right, Gus, but I hope you won’t be making a habit of doing that,” Joan cautioned.

“I … sometimes, I just need to be by myself,” Gus said hoping that didn’t sound too lame.

“I can understand that. Being with an old woman and a child isn’t a teenager’s idea of a fun time,” Joan said trying not to sound too put out.

“It isn’t that, Grandma. I like being with you guys … most of the time. But sometimes I feel like it’s twenty-four hours a day.”

Joan chuckled. “Sometimes it is.”

“See,” Gus said with a grin. “It’s just that I want some time of my own.”

“I think we can arrange that,” Joan said honestly.

“That would be great,” Gus replied looking at her fondly. He felt like he had an ally if he asked to be on his own at Coney Island the next day.

“Do you like me again, Gus?” Bree piped up.

“I never stopped liking you, Squirt. I love you,” Gus said bending down and giving his sister a warm hug.

“Love you too, Gus,” Bree said.

They hugged for a moment before Gus stood up. “Pop wants to know if you would like to go out for Italian for dinner,” Gus explained.

“I could go for that,” Joan replied. “Maybe a nice glass of red wine.”

“I have lasagna,” Bree stated.

“I’m sure you can have whatever you want,” Gus told her.

“Will you help me cut it up?” Bree asked.

“If you want me to.”

“I do,” Bree said nodding her head emphatically.

“Then get ready, because all of a sudden I’m really hungry,” Gus stated.

“Me too,” Bree agreed.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 14




In the fashion of true New Yorkers and because Brian did not want to drive into Brooklyn, the Kinney-Taylor clan decided to take the F train to Brooklyn. The train’s last stop, Coney Island, and home to the New York Aquarium. So much had changed over the years. Joan, who had visited the landmark area as a child, mourned the loss of the famous playgrounds and boardwalk. All that was left was the Cyclone Roller Coaster and the Wonder Wheel; the original Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs still stood on its original corner. They arrived a little after ten in the morning.

“Dada, can we have hot dogs for lunch?” Bree asked her father as they stepped out of the Coney Island train station just across the street from the famous eatery. Brian gazed upward looking for some divine guidance. Briana certainly was her father’s daughter; they only finished breakfast less than two hours prior.

“Squirt, if we’re all in agreement, and it’s okay with your Daddy, yes we can have hot dogs for lunch,” Brian said, already experiencing heartburn in anticipation.

“Well said,” Justin whispered as he gently poked Brian in his ribs. They had done some research about the aquarium and knew it had a cafeteria. They were sure they were going to be eating there. However, what was a trip to Coney Island without eating a famous Nathan’s hot dog?

“Hands,” Brian called out as they approached the busy intersection. Bree automatically stretched out her hands, her fathers took one each as they crossed the street. Joan and Gus were close behind.

As they walked past some of the arcades that still remained, Gus heard the thumpa thumpa music of the ‘disco’ bumper cars. It was dark inside, the music loud and for grown ups only. And it had a game room, just the place he could meet Cole if Gus could sneak away. Gus made a mental note to call Cole later when he had a minute alone.

“Keep up, Sonny Boy,” Brian growled as he noticed Gus lagging behind as he stared into the window.

“Yeah, sure, Pop,” Gus answered quickly then fell back into step.

They passed through the main entrance to the aquarium and entered into a world of darkness. Brian felt Bree sidle close as their eyes adjusted to the dim light.

“Dark, Dada,” Bree said meekly, unaccustomed to being in such a dark place. Brian reached down to pick her up. Bree hugged her Dada tight. Brian kissed her cheek and murmured reassuring words to his daughter.

“It’s okay, Squirt. It won’t be dark for the whole thing. It just makes it easier to see the fish if we’re in the dark.”

“Are the fishies scared?”

“No, they like the dark.”

“I don’t think I want to be a fish, then.”

“That’s all right, but you can be a girl who studies fish if you want to be, when you grow up.”

“There are people who study fish?”

“Yes, they’re called marine biologists and they study....”

Even in the dark, Justin and Joan exchanged loving and knowing looks as Brian carried Bree throughout the first part of the exhibit, explaining to the child all about the fish. Bree seemed fascinated as she pointed out fish and crustaceans to her Dada. Brian’s knowledge appeared never ending and what he didn’t know, he read to Bree from the placards that accompanied each exhibit window. Even Gus, who was convinced that he was too old for the aquarium and was quite prepared to be bored, was beginning to enjoy himself. When they made their way through the first building, Gus took over for his father. He took Bree from Brian’s arms, even though they were back outside. Riding tall on her brother’s shoulders Bree had a great view of the penguin pool, seal pool and sea otter pool. Bree squealed with delight as playful otters swam about then plunged under the water.

Buying a few bottles of water, Justin joined Brian as he rested on a bench. Joan was standing next to Gus and Bree as they watched penguins sliding around in their enclosure and diving into the water.

“You know you never cease to amaze me, big guy,” Justin said nonchalantly as he sipped his water.

“What do you mean?’

“All that stuff you were telling Bree, you weren’t making that up, were you?”

“I wouldn’t do that.”

“I watch Animal Planet all the time and even I didn’t know half of what you were talking about.”

“Well, it doesn’t take a genius to figure that stuff out and you saw me reading.”

“But you made it sound so fascinating. If I wasn’t an artist, you would have convinced me to try marine biology!”

Brian laughed at Justin’s admission. “I’m not called the greatest adman that ever was for nothing, Sunshine,” Brian quipped, getting another poke in the ribs. “Seriously, Justin, I always had a thing for the sciences and I love seeing all of this through Bree’s eyes. I only wish I had spent more time with Gus when he was Bree’s age,” Brian said wistfully.

“Brian, you more than made up for it and Gus knows it. He was never deprived as you think he was. Look at them,” Justin said as he indicated Gus and Bree near the seals. She was still riding high, Gus holding her firmly. “They’re loving every minute together and so is Joan. You did it, Brian; you have the family you deserve.”

Moist hazel eyes met twinkling ocean blue eyes, exchanging words of love without uttering a syllable. Brian held out his hand; Justin placed his in it. They leaned against each other, sipping their water and watching their family.

After a while, Brian and Justin took Bree to watch the walrus show. Joan joined them; however, Gus was more interested in the shark exhibit so he skipped the show.

“Cole, yeah, it’s me. Nah, they’re at the walrus show; I’m by the sharks. Yeah. Do you know the bumper car place? Yeah, that’s it. I’m gonna see if I can get into there. Can you meet me? In about an hour? Okay, I’ll try. Bye.”

Gus nervously snapped his phone shut. How the hell was he going to sneak out of the aquarium?


*****


“Hey, Cole,” Gus called as he entered the Bumper Car pavilion. He had a big smile on his face. “I’m glad you could make it…”

“Hey,” Cole interrupted as he leaned against the railing watching the cars go round.

“Want to go for a ride in the bumper cars?”

“I didn’t come here to play cars with you,” Cole stated.

“Oh,” Gus replied, the smile disappearing from his face. “I thought we could hang out for a while. Bumper cars would be fun,” he said trying to engage Cole, who seemed in a bad mood.

“I … I want to hang out with you, but I thought we could have some time alone.”

“We are alone. My family’s still in the aquarium.”

“You call this alone?” Cole asked derisively gesturing to the people inside the Bumper Car Pavilion.

“Alone, as in me and you and no family,” Gus replied with a giggle. He hoped he didn’t sound too stupid … or too naïve.

Cole snorted. Gus realized that snort would have been worthy of his father. He frowned, wondering what had caused this apparent change in Cole’s attitude.

“I’m sorry that I asked you to come here and you didn’t want to spend time with me,” Gus said slowly. “I guess I’ll head back to the aquarium.” Gus turned to walk away.

The next thing he knew he was roughly twirled around to face Cole. “I didn’t come all the way out here to be pissed off. Come with me.” Cole grabbed Gus’ arm and propelled him towards the back of the place.

“Wh…Where are we going?” Gus stammered.

“Shut up and you’ll find out.”

Cole walked them briskly through the place and into the men’s room at the back. He shoved open a stall and dragged Gus inside with him, slamming the door and locking it before Gus could say anything. His lips found Gus’ in a heated kiss that had Gus’ head spinning and his cock responding.

Gus wasn’t sure what had hit him. He tried to push away as Cole’s tongue probed for entrance, but he found himself pressed back against the door of the stall. He couldn’t move. Cole continued the kiss and Gus found his mouth opening to whatever Cole wanted to do. His hands came up to the back of Cole’s neck and he pressed Cole’s head asking him to go deeper.

When Cole finally broke the kiss, Gus was breathless and semi-stunned. He was so hard he thought he might explode in his jeans. He tried to focus on Cole’s eyes which were still so close to him that he found it hard to look at both of them at the same time. His arms still held Cole against him. He tried to get a few deep breaths but his blood was hammering in his ears and his chest felt like it was in a vise press.

“Cole…” Gus managed to get out. It sounded more like a moan than Cole’s name.

Cole responded by forcing his lips onto Gus’ once again. This time the kiss was softer at first, but the intensity grew as Cole chewed on his bottom lip and forced Gus’ head back against the door.

“I want you,” Cole panted as he finally finished the kiss.

“I want you too,” Gus gasped. “But … not here.”

“Why not?”

“Some…somebody might come in,” Gus stammered.

“They won’t know what we’re doing,” Cole said sliding the zipper of Gus’ jeans down.

“Wait,” Gus cried grabbing at Cole’s hand. “I … I don’t want to do it here.”

“You got a better idea?”

“I … I don’t know,” Gus said straining his brain to try to think of where they could go to be together.

“Then it’s now,” Cole stated as he yanked at Gus’ jeans.

“Don’t,” Gus protested. “Stop!” He reached down and pulled his jeans back up.

“You know,” Cole replied, anger evident in his eyes. “I’m getting the impression that you’re a fucking cocktease.”

“I … I’m not. It’s just that I’ve never done … this … before. I want it to be special.”

“Anything I do to you is going to be special,” Cole whispered into Gus’ ear.

Gus felt his cock jump at Cole’s words and the hot breath in his ear. “I know it will be,” Gus whispered back.”

“How old are you, Gus?” Cole asked looking at Gus with new eyes.

“Eighteen,” Gus replied quickly, hoping Cole would believe him.

Cole raised an eyebrow. “I thought you were older. You’re tall.”

“It runs in the family,” Gus said. He was glad he had lied and not admitted that he was still sixteen. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen.”

“Oh.”

“We need to figure something out,” Cole said.

“If … if you would meet my parents, we would be able to spend more time together. You just need to make a good impression.”

“And you think I would make a good impression on them?”

“I think you can do anything,” Gus said, stars in his eyes.

Cole snorted, again reminding Gus of his father.

“I should get back,” Gus said reluctantly.

“Yeah, we wouldn’t want the old man to find out what you’ve been up to.” The sarcasm in Cole’s voice was very evident.

Gus bowed his head. “No, I guess I wouldn’t,” he muttered.

“Take this with you to remember me by,” Cole said, before he initiated another kiss that left Gus weak in the knees, panting for more and unable to form a coherent thought.

Cole pushed Gus aside and opened the door to the stall. He walked out without a backward look at Gus.

“Can … can I call you?” Gus called after him. He felt like he was begging, but he couldn’t stop himself.

Cole replied, “I guess so, but next time we need to make some better arrangements.” With that he walked out of the men’s room letting the door slam behind him.

Gus zipped up his jeans and willed his cock to go down. He wanted to jerk off so bad, but he hated the thought of doing that in a public restroom. He adjusted the rest of his clothes and walked out of the stall. He went over to the sink and looked in the mirror above it. He almost didn’t recognize the face that looked back at him. His cheeks were flushed. His eyes were almost black in color. His lips were red and swollen. He looked like someone had just ravished him, and he wished that he had had enough nerve to let that happen.

Gus ran some cool water, splashing it on his face and washing his hands. He used his wet fingers to comb through his hair and get it back into some semblance of the way it usually looked. He had to get himself under control if he was going to face his father. After a couple of minutes he thought he looked more or less normal, whatever the fuck that was. He could still feel the burn of Cole’s lips on his as he left the restroom. He knew he had to have more.

A few minutes later Gus was back in the aquarium. He spent most of his money buying another admission ticket then kicked himself for not planning better. He hurried through the main building again and then back out into the main area. A small island band with kettle drums was entertaining the visitors. Gus caught a glimpse of a bright strawberry blond little girl dancing along with the music. He stopped to stare. He had grown up seeing his dad and Justin dance together and knew it was Justin who could really dance.

“She gets that from her Daddy,” Brian said in a low voice from behind his son. Gus jumped. “And where have you been hiding, Sonny Boy?”

“Nowhere, Dad,” Gus mumbled. Brian arched a brow and Gus knew he had just made a big mistake. Brian narrowed his gaze. He took in his son’s disheveled and flushed appearance; he met his son’s downcast eyes. “Dad, I...”

“Gus, before you say another word, consider this, I don’t like liars,” Brian growled as he was about to walk back to Justin.

“Dad, I met up with someone that I met at the dance,” Gus said softly.

“The same someone you snuck out of the library to meet?” Gus’ eyes grew large. “You think you’re the only teenager on the planet to sneak out to meet a lover?” A cloud fell over Brian’s eyes as he recalled a certain blond teenager who snuck out to meet his own lover.

“Dad?” Gus questioned his father, seeing the slight twinge of pain on Brian’s face. Brian shook his head.

“Never mind, Sonny Boy,” Brian murmured then looked around for the rest of his family. “Let’s go get the others. We’ll hit the souvenir shop then take a walk on the boardwalk. I’m sure your sister hasn’t forgotten about the hot dogs. You and I need to talk.” Gus nodded then fell in behind his dad.

Bree was allowed to pick out one stuffed toy and one special book to remember the day. The Kinney-Taylor clan then left the aquarium to walk along the beach.


*****


Brian leaned against the railing to watch Bree and Justin run on the sand to the edge of the water. Sensing Brian needed to have a private word with his son, Joan walked a little further down the boardwalk to a bench. There she sat, sunning herself in the early summer weather.

“What’s his name?”

“Cole.”

“And he was at the dance?”

“Yes.

“And how old is he?”

“Nineteen.”

“And how old does he think you are?”

“Oh, Dad.” Gus got the eyebrow. “Eighteen. You mad at me?”

“No. I guess I should be happy that you’re normal.” Gus managed to arch his own brow making Brian laugh. “Normal for us. Gus, Justin told me about your talk last night. Do you have any questions?”

Gus shook his head then found his sneakers very fascinating. Brian lifted his son’s chin with a finger.

“Sonny Boy, you know I think you’re too young for sex but I also know you’re a responsible person. Use a condom if you’re going to fuck and make for damn sure he uses one if he tops. Never do it raw. I want you around for a very long time. Promise me, Sonny Boy.”

“I promise, Pop. But I...”

Brian held up his hand, cutting off Gus. “No other promises of what you will and will not do. Once you get alone with this kid, whatever other promises you make, you’re likely to break. The only one I want you to keep is to use a condom. I can’t stress that enough. I’d die if you got sick,” Brian said as he drew his son to him in a hug.

“I swear, Pop. Condoms. I swear.”

“Okay. Now let’s go get some god awful hot dogs,” Brian said, while trying to get control of his emotions. Gus went off to get Bree and Justin.

“They grow up fast, don’t they,” Joan said as she stood near her son.

“Yeah,” was all that Brian could say.


*****


Cole stood behind a fence watching Gus and what could only be his father standing on the boardwalk. The man with Gus looked very much like the young man, but was much more distinguished looking, and very beautiful, if Cole allowed himself to think about it. He had been attracted to Gus from the first time he saw him, but the kid was Â… such a kid. This man was something else.

As Cole watched them he could hardly stop his thoughts from wandering to what it would be like to be with Gus’ father. Cole knew that Gus’ father was gay. That was one of the first things Gus had told him when they had met at the GLC. Gus had wanted to introduce Cole to his father and his husband, but Cole had refused. He hated parents, almost as much as they always seemed to hate him.

Cole had to admit that Gus’ father was one very good looking man. He would have a world of sexual experience too. Cole was always learning about sex and all the interesting and unusual things that could be done. He wondered if Mr. Kinney might be agreeable to teaching him some of those things. Cole couldn’t think of a more attractive teacher. He felt himself grow hard as he studied Gus and his father.

Suddenly Gus ran down to the beach and an older woman approached. That must be the grandmother, Cole thought. After a minute Gus returned with a blond man and a little girl. Gus’ father scooped up the girl and kissed her cheek. The husband and the sister, Cole surmised. The whole group started to walk off together. Cole made sure he was well hidden so Gus wouldn’t spot him.

Just then Cole’s cell phone rang. “Hey,” Cole said.

“Hey,” Lex replied. “What the fuck is that noise in the background?”

“I’m at Coney Island, cuz. Can you believe it?” Cole laughed.

“No shit! What the fuck are you doing there?”

“Meeting Gus.”

“You really want this twink, don’t you?” Lex laughed.

“He’s very cute and … tempting, but very inexperienced.”

“I thought you liked chicken.”

“I do, but his old man is even better.”

“Eiw! I didn’t know you were into old.”

“I’m not … usually, but you haven’t seen the father. He’s something.”

“Oh yeah? Didn’t you say Gus was from Pittsburgh? What’s the father’s last name? Maybe I might know something about them, especially if the father is as striking as you seem to think.”

“I should have asked you when we talked before, since you live in Pittsburgh.”

“Yeah, unfortunately not all of us can live in the Big Apple.”

Cole chuckled. “Gus’ last name is Marcus-Peterson but he likes to use his father’s name, Kinney. I don’t know the father’s first name.”

“Fuck!”

“What, what did I say? Do you know them?” Cole asked, surprised by Lex’s reaction to the name.

“Gus’ old man is Brian Kinney. I should have made the connection when you said the kid’s name was Gus. Kinney is rich, man. He owns an ad agency and Babylon.”

“Babylon? That’s the club you took me too last time I was in Pittsburgh.”

“Yeah, that’s the one.”

“Fuck! How rich is Kinney?”

“Very.”

“Hm, this throws a new wrinkle into things. Gus keeps wanting me to meet his father. Maybe I should.”

“It couldn’t hurt, but … you better be on your best behavior. Kinney is notorious for being over-protective of his family.”

“Oh? Not good.”

“Cole, you’re smart. You can handle it. And maybe get something out of this.”

“Something?”

“Yeah, presents from little Gus, you know.”

“Oh, yeah! Right! I was thinking more of getting laid by the father,” Cole laughed.

“Shit! You are a pervert.”

“I could maybe have both of them,” Cole speculated.

“Don’t be greedy.”

“Why not?”

“No reason I can think of,” Lex said with a laugh. “Just be careful.”

“I’m always careful.”

Lex snorted before he hung up. Cole watched the Kinney family as the walked together way down the boardwalk. He had some thinking and planning to do.

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 15




The Kinney-Taylor clan made their way back to the main street and to Nathans. Gus and Joan took Bree around the corner to the picnic tables. There they waited until a large group of people had finished their lunch and got up. Gus quickly moved in to claim the table. Joan situated Bree under the umbrella’s shade then started to perform a little ‘housekeeping’ to clean off the table. Gus brought over some napkins to help. Back around the corner, there were several lines of people all waiting to purchase the famous hot dogs but the lines moved quickly. Brian and Justin stepped up to the window to place their order.

“Three plain hot dogs, two chili dogs and two with everything. Four large fries, three lemonades and two large Cokes,” Justin put in the order like he had done it every day of his life. Brian looked at him in astonishment, arching his eyebrow. Justin gave him a coy little smile as he shrugged his shoulders. Brian just shook his head then pulled out his wallet. Gus came around to help bring the massive meal to the table.

Reminiscent of his waiter days, Justin doled out lunch.

“One plain hot dog and a lemonade for Joan.”

“Thank you, Justin.”

“One plain dog and lemonade for Miss Briana.”

“Thank you, Daddy.”

“One chili dog and one dog with everything for Gus.” Justin slid a Coke over to Gus.

“Thanks!” Gus quickly snatched up the chili dog to take a bite.

“And one plain dog and lemonade for his majesty,” Justin snarked. Brian grunted as Justin arranged an everything dog and chili dog in front of himself.

Justin put the fries in the middle for everyone to share then distributed packets of mustard and ketchup. With a pile of extra napkins also in the middle of the table, the family dug in.

Just after three in the afternoon, Brian shepherded his family back onto the train to Manhattan.


*****


“Daddy, I’m tired,” Bree whined as they entered their suite. Gus immediately went to his room and shut the door.

“Let’s get you in the bathtub then you can take a nap. Later we can read your new book,” Justin suggested. With a wide yawn, Bree agreed and followed her daddy to the bathroom.

“Brian, if you don’t mind, I’ll take a quick shower in your bathroom so I can be ready when Bree finishes with her bath,” Joan said.

“That’s fine, Mom. Would you like a cup of tea?” Joan smiled lovingly at her son as she nodded. Brian filled the coffeemaker with water to heat for his mother’s tea.


*****


The family spent a quiet evening in their suite, after they had dinner. Gus read to Bree for a while. Justin did some sketching and Brian was on his laptop. Joan tried to read, but she enjoyed sitting back in a comfortable armchair watching her family.

She had never been happier in her life. The thought that Brian had asked her to come with them to New York once again made her feel so warm inside. She couldn’t believe she had wasted all those years in her rigid religious beliefs that had cut her off from her family and the joy she was now able to experience. At least she had learned her lesson before it was too late.

Bree listened to Gus read the story to her. She could read most of the words herself, but she liked sitting on Gus’ knee and being close to her big brother. Whatever had been the matter with him at the library now seemed to be in the past. Gus loved her like he always had and she snuggled against him as her head drooped from exhaustion. It had been a busy day, but a very happy one for the little girl. She loved spending time with her whole family together.

Gus tried to concentrate on the story he was reading. He refused to let his thoughts go to Cole and what had happened in that restroom. He placed his arm around Bree and held her gently as her head rested on his shoulder and she started to doze off. He loved his sister and he was truly sorry for causing her to think that he didn’t want to be around her anymore. As much as he wanted to be with Cole, he didn’t want to upset his family. They were more important in the long run. He just wished he could get over this virgin business and get on with his life.

“Gus?” Bree said softly.

“What, short stuff?”

“You stopped reading.”

“Sorry,” Gus replied, as he focused on the page in front of him and started reading again.

Justin watched Bree and Gus. He was sketching them as he watched. They would make the perfect thing to have in a painting for his Winter Season. He would add in a roaring fireplace or a Christmas tree and the effect would be perfect. Justin watched Gus’ face and realized that the boy had stopped reading. His thoughts had obviously drifted somewhere else. Justin wondered if Gus was thinking about this guy he had snuck out of the library to meet, and then had snuck out of the aquarium to rendezvous with as well. Brian had not been happy. Justin hoped Gus knew what he was getting into. The fact that this guy didn’t seem to want to be around Gus’ family didn’t bode well. Justin wished he could meet this Cole face to face. He was sure he’d be able to figure out exactly what the guy wanted. Justin suspected it was sex he wanted from Gus, but Justin had no intention of letting this Cole hurt Gus. He and Brian would do everything they could to protect Gus, but the lad seemed intent on being with this nineteen year old. At least he isn’t twenty-nine, Justin thought with a sigh. He had no idea what he would do if that was the case. Bree said something to Gus, so they got back to their story, and Justin got back to his sketching.

Brian stared at the computer screen. He had done what he needed to do and probably should switch it off. However, he was furtively watching his son with Bree. He was glad to see that they seemed to be back to their old camaraderie. He had been worried when Justin had told him that Bree thought Gus didn’t love her anymore. Just as Justin had been worried when Brian had filled him in on Cole and Gus’ sneaking around. Both of them wanted Gus to be upfront and honest in his dealings with them and with life. Brian hated this lying and sneaking about. He wanted to meet this Cole person and figure out what he was up to with his son. If he was nineteen, it might just boil down to simple sexual urges. However, that could still lead to Gus getting hurt, and Brian did not want that.

“Pop,” Gus said. “I think she’s asleep.” He looked down at Bree who was resting against his chest.

“Thanks, Sonny Boy,” Brian replied. “She needed to calm down from the excitement of Coney Island. I’ll put her to bed.” Brian started to switch off his computer.

“May I use that?” Joan asked. “If you’re finished, of course.”

“Sure,” Brian said clicking off his programs but leaving the computer running.

Joan moved over to the table where Brian had been sitting. She watched her son gently pick up Bree who had donned her pj’s when they returned from the restaurant after dinner. Brian carried Bree to her bedroom.

“Need any help, grandma?” Gus asked.

“Why yes, I could use your help. I had a couple of questions about accessing websites.”

“Here, let me show you,” Gus said, sitting down beside her. “You start to do what you want and if you get stuck, I’ll walk you through it.”

“Thank you, Gus,” Joan said with a smile.

Justin watched Joan and Gus work at the computer for a while before setting down his sketchbook. He waited for Brian to come out of Bree’s bedroom. He didn’t have long to wait.

“Brian,” Justin said when his husband emerged. “Would you like to go for a walk? I feel kind of restless.”

Brian raised an eyebrow, but followed Justin’s lead. “I think a brisk walk might be just what the doctor ordered.”

“Good, then let’s go.”

Justin walked over to the door of the suite and waited for Brian to join him.

“We won’t be long,” Brian said to Gus and Joan.

“Have a good walk,” Joan told him.

“You’ll both be here when we get back?” Brian asked pointedly.

“Yeah, Pop, I’ll be here,” Gus said with a sigh. He knew he was going to have to be very careful for the next while. Justin and his father would be watching him like a hawk.

Brian and Justin rode down in the elevator and walked out into the warm summer night.

“I thought we could talk better out here,” Justin said.

“What do you want to talk about?” Brian asked as they walked along the street.

“Gus.”

“That’s what I thought.”

“What are we going to do about this Cole character?”

“Nothing.”

“What do you mean, nothing?” Justin asked in surprise.

“Gus likes this guy. If we try to stop him from seeing Cole, he’ll just do it in secret. I’d like to keep things above board if we can,” Brian explained.

“How are we going to do that?”

“I think we should ask Gus to bring Cole to dinner next week. That way we can meet him and size him up.”

“And scare the shit out of him, if I know you,” Justin chuckled.

“Well, maybe just a tad.”

“I thought so,” Justin giggled.

“I merely want that fucker to know that he better not mess with my son or he’ll have me to answer to.”

“The mighty Kinney.”

“Something like that.”

“I like your plan,” Justin concurred.

“You do?”

“Yep, and now that we have that settled, do you want to go back?”

“Hm, how about an ice cream?” Brian asked as he spotted a Baskin-Robbins up ahead.

“Ice cream? You?”

“I might be talked into a small pralines and cream.”

“It’s after seven, you know.”

“You only live once,” Brian said as he grabbed Justin’s hand and they walked to the ice cream shop.


*****


Over the next few days, Justin spent most of the time in his studio. Gus visited with Jeff and Raymond while Brian spent time at N’rgy. The tenant in 202 moved early and turned his key over to Simon. Simon and Stacey immediately started their moving plans.

“Gamma, what’s this place?” Briana asked in awe. They were standing in the middle of Times Square; the street was packed with tourists.

“This is called Times Square,” Joan answered, equally amazed. She had known of the stories about the Times Square of the past. It was a dirty, scary place, no one respectable wanted to be there, but now it was a wonderland of electronics and commerce.

“Oooo, Gamma, look! M&Ms!” Bree pointed to the M&M store. “Can we go in?” Bree turned her big eyes onto Joan.

“Sure we can. We’ll bring home a treat for the boys.”

“Thank you, Gamma!” Bree smiled brilliantly as they crossed the street to enter the vast world of M&Ms.


*****


“Hey,” Gus said as he answered his cell phone. Gus was curious about ‘Ground Zero,’ so Jeff and Raymond took him downtown and to Battery Park.

“Where you been?” Cole asked.

“Around,” Gus said hesitantly. He really wanted to see Cole again, but Gus did not want to ditch his friends. It felt good to relax, be with people he trusted and without any sexual tension. As much as Cole was tempting, Gus had no intention of being rude and hurting his friends like he hurt Bree.

“Can you be more vague?” Cole snarked. He wasn’t used to his ‘prey’ being so evasive.

“I’m with my friends.”

“Friends, oooh, you have friends. I thought I was your friend,” Cole said sarcastically.

“I thought so too. I gotta go,” Gus said hearing the sarcasm. He was about to cut the connection when Cole shouted into the phone.

“Gus, wait! Look, I really want to be with you,” Cole said, suddenly all sweetness. “I didn’t mean to sound angry. I just want some more of that sweet, sexy mouth of yours. We just gotta find a safe place. Do you know someplace where we can be alone?”

Gus thought fast; he really wanted to be alone with Cole too. “Justin is taking my sister to the Met tomorrow. I think I can get the keys to his studio. We can be alone there.”

“Cool. Call me later with the details.”

“Sure.”

“I’ll make it all worth it, I promise,” Cole purred into the phone then hung up. The sound of Cole’s voice went straight to Gus’ groin. He shook himself out of it then rejoined his friends.


*****


“Emmett’s Place,” Emmett answered. He was hip deep in pear and blue cheese canapes and sweating up a storm.

“Hi, Emm, it’s Mel. Do you have time to go over the menu?”

“No, I do not have time to go over the menu. I’m creating!” Emmett nearly shrieked. He had ten events all taking place between the thirtieth and the fourth, one of which was Melanie and Lindsay’s do.

“But, I need to make one tiny....,” Melanie began only to be interrupted.

“NO, we do not say the ‘c’ word when it comes to my menu.”

“I never use that word,” Melanie yelled, misunderstanding Emmett.

“What? Oh no, Mel, not that ‘c’ word, the other ‘c’ word.”

“Emmett, what the fuck are you talking about?” Mel growled back in frustration.

“Change, Mel, the ‘c’ word I’m referring to is the word change. You do not change the menu just before your event. Now, go back to lawyering and leave the menu and event planning to the experts. Bye, Melanie!” Emmett slammed down the phone while thinking the other ‘c’ word to himself, then begging the gods for forgiveness.

“Damn faggots,” Mel cursed as she tried to get the ringing in her ears to stop.


*****


“Gus, Earth to Gus,” Raymond teased. Gus was staring out over the water. The sky was so clear, the water looked so blue, and Gus’ mind was miles away. “What’s wrong?”

“I did some stupid things and I just don’t know what to do about it,” Gus sighed. Jeffrey was off checking out the street vendors leaving Ray and Gus alone to talk.

“What things?’

“You know that kid, Cole? The one I met at the dance.”

“Yeah, he’s hot.”

“Yeah, he is. I was at the library with Bree and Grandma Joan last week when he called. I snuck out to meet him and then again on Sunday when we went to Coney Island. He makes me want to do stuff, you know?”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So what should I do? My dads are watching me like a hawk, Bree thought I hated her and I feel so guilty and horny all the time. I’m pathetic. I want Cole to meet my dads but he says he’s not into ‘rents.”

Raymond commiserated. “The GLC is sponsoring a Fourth of July party next week, right here in the park. It’s gonna be a blast and then later on we stay for the fireworks. You guys gotta come. Cole is bound to be here. And then he can meet your dads. Your dads are so cool, it’ll be okay and then you won’t have to sneak around! What d’ya think?”

“That’s a great idea. I was just about to steal the keys to Justin’s studio but if they meet Cole and like him, we can hang out without my dad having a stroke or something.”

The boys high fived then touched fists. All was right in the world again.


*****


Bree held Joan’s hand tight as they crossed the street. Joan pushed open the door of the M&M store and they passed inside. Bree stopped dead in her tracks as she looked around and then her gaze fell on something she thought she’d never see.

“Gamma,” she gasped, her eyes as big as saucers.

“What is it, Bree?” Joan asked a little concerned by her granddaughter’s reaction to the place.

“It’s my rainbow,” Bree whispered in an almost reverential voice.

“What?” Joan queried. She thought she heard Bree say something about her rainbow, but she wasn’t sure what that meant.

“Look, Gamma,” Bree said raising her hand and pointing to the wall off to the side of where they stood.

Joan looked up and saw a wall filled with tubes of M&M’s of every color under the rainbow. She smiled as she realized this was the rainbow Bree was referring to. “There are a lot of colors in that rainbow,” Joan said gently.

“It’s my rainbow,” Bree stated adamantly. “They have my rainbow.”

“I don’t understand what you mean,” Joan said with a frown as she looked at the colorful array.

“They have a rainbow with brown and black, just like the ones I draw on my cards.”

“Why yes, they do.” Joan smiled down at the precocious little girl.

“I love this rainbow.”

“I’m sure you do, sweetheart.”

“Can we get some of each color?” Bree asked. “I could make Daddy and Dada one of my rainbows out of the candies … and Gus too.”

“I think we can arrange that,” Joan agreed. “Let’s look around before we get the candy.”

“Okay.”

Bree took her grandmother’s hand and they went upstairs where there were lots of silly toys and knickknacks to buy. Joan didn’t see anything she wanted or anything that seemed appropriate for the little girl. Bree touched many items, but really didn’t show any great interest in anything.

They walked over to the railing that looked down into the first floor of the store.

“Look, Gamma!” Bree squealed. “It’s an M&M that looks like the Stature of Liberty.”

“That’s statue, dear.”

“Statue of Liberty,” Bree repeated.

The huge M&M was indeed dressed as the famous statue. It was suspended above the main entrance to the store, a very fitting decoration for New York City.

They made their way downstairs and saw some people standing around a flashing machine. They went over to investigate. Joan read the directions which stated that if you stood on the designated spot, the machine would tell you what color your personality was. Of course, Bree wanted to do that.

Waiting their turn took a while, but they watched other children and adults be told they were green or red or crispy medley. Joan chuckled at that one. Finally Bree got to the front of the line and stood on the disk that would tell her personality. The lights revolved and flashed and on the screen it said: Your color is yellow. You are a ray of sunshine in everyone’s lives.

Joan read the words to her granddaughter. Bree smiled and nodded her head. She had got most of the words herself.

“Just like Daddy,” Bree said as she stepped out of the machine.

“Why do you say that, dear?”

“’Cause Dada calls Daddy Sunshine sometimes. So Daddy’s sunshine just like me.” Her smile was radiant.

“That’s certainly true,” Joan had to agree. Bree and her biological father brought light and fun to everyone’s lives who knew them. “Shall we get our rainbow of candies and head on home?”

Bree bobbed her head in agreement. She had a lot to tell her fathers about her day out.

Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 16




The best laid plans of mice and men (and little princesses) often go awry.

Briana and her rainbow M&Ms were the hit of the evening. Everyone had their particular favorites and had fun extolling the virtues and differences of each of the colors. Gus seemed partial to the red ones, Justin loved the deep hunter green M&Ms. Joan enjoyed the traditional candies with the deep brown shell. Brian had a thing for the blue although he would deny liking the candy at all.

Princess Bree absolutely loved the bright pink and purple M&Ms. Brian noted that although Bree shared, she kept a special stash of the child sized confection all to herself. She promised to partake in the treats only under the watchful eyes of an adult; however, little children being what they are....

“Dada, I don’t feel so good,” Bree whined to her most sympathetic father as she crawled onto her daddies’ bed the next morning. Brian rubbed the sleep out of his eyes to see the most pathetic blues eyes looking down at him.

“What’s wrong?” he asked while touching his palm to Bree’s forehead and cheek. “You don’t have a fever,” Brian observed. Bree’s forehead felt cool.

“My tummy hurts,” Bree mumbled as she added an extra pout hoping to look sick enough. She knew just where her tummy ache came from. Brian arched a brow; he was onto her. Briana sighed.

“What’s going on?” Justin murmured as he woke up.

“I suspect a certain little princess who promised not to eat all her candy in one sitting has done just that and now is suffering the after effects,” Brian said calmly in his most stern fatherly voice. Bree was not going to find the sympathy she was looking for.

“Ah,” Justin said catching on real quick. “I guess we’ll have to put off our trip to the museum for a few days. You know how serious a chocolate overdose can be. I recommend three days of solitary confinement. What do you think, Dada?”

Bree dramatically flopped onto a pillow between her daddies.

“Hmm, three days may be a little harsh.” Bree’s spirits perked up a tad.

“However, Daddy did have this day all planned and Joan was looking forward to it. Even Gus wanted to go. But we’re not unreasonable and Briana does have a tummy ache and I know she’ll never ever sneak candy again,” Brian said as Bree nodded her head in agreement. “So this is what I propose. Bree will stay here for two days so we can make sure her tummy is all better. I will consult with Grandma to make sure this misadventure hasn’t ruined any of her plans...”

Bree felt guilty.

“And if all is well in a couple of days, you can go to the museum.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Justin agreed.

“I’ll ask Joan if it’s okay if she stays in our suite with Bree. I have to go to N’rgy. The construction crew is showing up today.”

“No problem. If Joan can manage, I’ll go to the studio. I have some more ideas for the Seasons show. What about Gus?”

“He can come with me. He’s been spending time with Ray and Jeff.”

“Oh?”

Brian understood the unspoken questions. “Yeah, apparently the GLC is having a big Fourth of July shindig in Battery Park. We’re invited and we may just get to meet this Cole person.”

“About time,” Justin grumbled.

“I know, Sunshine,” Brian said as he reached over Bree to kiss Justin’s temple. “But for now, Miss Bree needs some tummy medicine and maybe a little dry toast.”

“I’ll handle it; you go get ready for work and wake up Gus. I think I hear Joan in the kitchenette.” Brian nodded then gently picked up Bree from their bed to stand her on the floor.

“No more candy for you, young lady,” Brian said as he pointed his finger at Bree’s nose.

“Yes, Dada. Sorwy,” Bree said using a little leftover baby talk.

“Sorry is bull poop. There are reasons why we said not to eat up all the candy at one time; your tummy ache is one of them. Now go get washed up.”

“Yes, Dada,” Bree said as she slunk out of her daddies’ room and shut the door.

“Bull poop?” Justin said with a grin.

“I’m trying to watch my language,” Brian said with a smirk. “Think I was too hard on her?” Brian said with a frown. He wasn’t good at the disciplining part of parenthood.

“I think you were just fine,” Justin confirmed as he gave Brian a hug and a kiss. “Let’s get dressed,” Justin said with another kiss.

The Kinney-Taylor clan began their day.

*****

“I thought we were going to get together at that studio?” Cole growled impatiently into his phone. He had a thing for young virgin ass and Gus Kinney-Marcus-Peterson or whatever the fuck his name was, was just the ass he wanted. Between him and his cousin, they were digging up all sorts of information on Brian and Justin. If Cole and Lex played their cards right, they could score a small fortune.

“Look, my sister got sick so plans change. And I hate all this sneaking around shit. Are you gonna be there at the park on the Fourth?”

“Yeah, I just may make an appearance. Why?”

“Because then you can meet my dads and everything will be cool,” Gus pleaded.

“Yeah, sounds like a plan,” Cole said sweetly.

“Besides it’s only a few more days,” Gus said trying not to sound too pathetic, and he still had to get through the weekend.

“Yeah, okay. See you in a few days.” Cole cut the connection then began to reformulate his plans.

*****

“Oh my!” Joan gasped as their taxi pulled up in front of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. “It’s just as I remember,” she said with a wistful timbre to her voice.

“You were here before, Grandma?” Gus asked as he assisted the older woman out of the van sized cab. Jeffrey and Raymond had spent Saturday night with Gus so that they could go to The Met too. Even though it was Sunday, Brian wanted to put in a few hours at N’rgy.

“Yes, I was in high school. We took a trip to the city to spend the day here. I remember trying to sketch some of the sculptures. I fancied myself becoming a great artiste until I found that I was better at writing about something rather than drawing it. I managed to write a few articles for our school paper and submitted the sketches to go with them. I didn’t own a camera at the time.”

“Were the articles published in the paper?” Gus asked.

“Yes, I’m proud to say,” Joan blushed.

“Bet Pop gets his snark from you, doesn’t he, Grandma?” Gus winked at Joan and they all laughed. They made their way up to the main entrance and went inside.

After a couple of hours oohing and ahhing in several galleries, Joan could see that Justin was itching to sketch some of the Roman and Greek statues. The boys were hungry so they decided to go up to the rooftop gallery and snack area. Joan wanted to spend time in The Met Store and perhaps purchase a few souvenirs and gifts to bring home, in particular, to her daughter.

“Bree, dear, would you like to come to the gift shop with me or stay and draw with your daddy?” Bree looked back and forth from the statues to her Gamma.

“Can I stay with Daddy? I want to draw too. I be real good, I promise.”

“Justin, I can take Bree with me,” Joan offered. She knew how Justin was sometimes all consumed by his art.

“We’ll be fine. Thank you,” he said sincerely to Joan.

“I won’t be too long,” Joan assured him.

“Take all the time you need. We have important sketches to do, right, baby girl?” Justin said to Bree with a brilliant smile.

“Right, Daddy!” Bree responded with her own sunny smile. The two artists settled themselves on a bench, took out their pads and pencils and prepared to draw.

“Daddy, can I get a closer look?” Bree asked after a while. She was watching her father draw a statue. It was an exact duplicate with missing arms and lack of male genitalia. Then on another part of the same page, Justin drew the same statue only how he imagined it looked like when it was whole.

“Okay, but stay where I can see you and no talking to strangers. The gallery is very busy today.” The fine weather had brought many people into the city to see its wonders.

“I promise, Daddy,” Bree replied then scampered over to the statue in question, keeping within her father’s line of sight.

Briana stood looking up at the statue, her little face screwed up with concentration. She caught her father’s eye then walked to the next statue. This one had its head missing and both arms were gone as well as its penis. Bree looked up and down the gallery and noted that all the ‘boy’ statues were missing their penises. She scowled then stomped back to her daddy’s bench.

“Daddy,” Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor began in her best and most clear public speaking voice and with her little hands on her hips, “why are all the statues missing things like their arms and heads and the boys are missing their penises?”

Bree’s voice echoed throughout the busy gallery. Everyone stopped and turned to see the bold little blond girl with the big voice, and to await her daddy’s response. One group of beautiful and obviously high society women were quite curious to hear Justin’s response. They had recognized the artist as he worked, but did not want to bother him or appear gauche by asking for an autograph.

Justin was at first startled by Bree’s question, but then he knew that Briana had inherited his artistic eye and her Dada’s way of cutting to the heart of a matter. Justin set aside his sketchpad for the moment then addressed his daughter.

“Bree, these statues were created hundreds and hundreds of years ago,” Justin started as he turned Bree around to face the gallery. He spoke clearly and concisely and in words he knew Briana would understand. “Many of them were buried under tons of rock. Most of them had fallen down off of high pedestals so that when people found them, the heads and arms had already broken off.”

“Ohhh, like Gamma Debbie’s little statues. She said Uncle Michael used to bang into them all the time when he lived there. That’s why she had to glue their heads back lots of times,” Bree said with more understanding.

“That’s right. Only when these statues were found, the heads and arms may have been too badly damaged to restore them back to the statue.”

“What’s restore?”

“Kind of like Gamma Debbie gluing the heads back on. It takes a long time for museums to restore a painting or a statue to what the artist originally had intended the finished piece to look like. Uncle Sidney had many of the Kinney paintings restored. You remember them when we visited his gallery.”

“I remember, Daddy.” Bree stood quiet for the moment. Justin hoped she might have forgotten the second half of her question but no such luck. “But Daddy, did all the penises break off too?”

The gallery held their collective breath waiting for Justin’s answer.

“No, sweetheart,” Justin sighed sadly then picked up his daughter. Twin blond heads and big blue eyes scanned the gallery filled with the ancient and somewhat defiled statuary. “Some people thought that it was wrong to see a naked human body. So they broke the statues on purpose.”

Bree’s eyes grew even wider and then filled with tears ready to spill due to an ancient misguided belief. “Somebody hurt the statues on purpose?”

“Yes, baby, but that was a very long time ago and those people aren’t around anymore. All the artwork in this museum and all the other museums are safe.”

“That’s good, Daddy,” Bree said as she wiped her eyes. “When I grow up I want to bring my children here.” Bree hugged her Daddy’s neck.

“You will, baby, someday, you will,” Justin said as he kissed Bree’s nose. “Let’s go finish our drawings.” Justin sat Bree next to him on their bench and handed her her pad and pencils. As Justin was about to go back to his sketch, the group of society ladies walked over.

“Justin Taylor, is that you?” A very sophisticated woman addressed Justin, her friends huddled behind her.

“Daphne? Daph! How long has it been?” Justin was so happy to see his childhood friend. They had lost touch after his commitment ceremony to Brian. Daphne was hell bent on her career and nothing or no one was going to stop her.

“It’s been too long,” Daphne said with a bit of uneasiness that Justin picked up on. “Have you moved to New York?”

“No, we’re visiting,” Justin said cautiously. He didn’t understand why Daphne hadn’t asked about Brian. “You live here,” a statement more than a question.

“Yes, my husband and I live near the park.” Justin knew that meant they were highly successful. You need a lot of money to afford anything near Central Park.

“Daphne, aren’t you going to introduce us,” a well coiffed and manicured mannequin of a woman with obvious surgical enhancements sauntered closer and stuck out her hand. “I’m Tiffany Wells, Daphne’s best friend and her husband’s most grateful client. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I wasn’t aware that our Daphne was so well connected with a famous artist. Are you here for a new show? Daphne, you’ve been keeping secrets from us,” Tiffany purred in a practiced voice.

“My family is visiting the city for the month while my part...”

“And who is this?” Daphne asked, purposely cutting off Justin. Bree had slid off the bench and held onto her daddy’s leg.

“This is my daughter, Briana. Bree, say hi.” Justin picked up Bree so that she could be at eye level with the ladies, sort of.

“Hi,” Bree said shyly, she wasn’t too sure what to make of these ladies who looked fake. Being very astute, Bree sensed her father’s apprehension.

“How adorable!” another woman gushed. She was very tall, probably Lindsay’s height even without heels, with unnaturally blond hair. “Daphne, dear, you must invite Mr. and Mrs. Taylor to our next lunch. Normally husbands aren’t allowed, they can be such bores, but for you, we’ll make an exception.”

“I, um, my daughter...,” Justin sputtered, trying to come up with an excuse.

“I’m sure your au pair will look after the child. Children have no business in society until they’ve been properly educated. We meet every Thursday afternoon at our club.” Justin’s eyes flitted back and forth from Daphne to Tiffany to this other woman who assumed she didn’t require an introduction. “Oh, don’t worry, the club is most liberal. We boast at least two musicians and we even have a lesbian.” That last admission was said in a whisper. “Ladies, come along,” she said as she glanced at her diamond encrusted watch. “Lovely to meet you,” the blond lady said as she turned on her 4 inch heels and wiggled away.

“A pleasure,” Tiffany smiled her artificially whitened teeth at Justin then followed.

“It was nice to see you, Justin, I’ll be in touch,” Daphne said softly and then with put upon airs, left the gallery with her friends.

“Daddy, who was that lady?”

“I’m not so sure,” Justin answered sadly. They sat back down together to finish their drawings.

*****

“You should have seen her, Bri. I almost didn’t recognize her. She acted as if she was ashamed of me.” Justin explained his encounter with Daphne and her society friends as they were getting ready for bed. Bree had fallen asleep early after another full day.

After their visit at the Met, they caught a cab taking them all downtown to Simon and Kenny’s building. Brian and Stacey gave the grand tour of the work in progress then Simon invited them all to dinner, including Stacey. Gus volunteered to help out at the GLC with preparations for the party on Tuesday, so he was invited to stay at the Mann-Greene house. Brian would be at N’rgy bright and early in the morning and with clothes for Gus. Jeff and Ray were already involved with the party plans.

“I can’t believe that. Daphne was your best friend.” Brian stripped off his clothes and stepped in the shower. He adjusted the spray and temperature of the water so it was comfortable for Justin.

“Brian, the woman I met today was nothing like the friend I grew up with. Not only was she ashamed, she tried to hide the fact that I’m gay.”

“Oh please, she was your number one hag back then, next to Debbie.”

“Brian, she never asked about you and she didn’t even try to correct her friends when they assumed there was a Mrs. Taylor. They tried to get me to come to lunch at their club. Can you imagine me at some society club?” Justin snorted then leaned into Brian touch as Brian massaged the shampoo into Justin’s hair.

“Justin, may I remind you that you grew up with the country club set in Pittsburgh and I’m just a mick from the wrong side of town.”

“Brian, I stopped being country club when my father threw me out of the house. And you were never just anything.”

Brian continued his ministrations to Justin’s hair, then stood him under the spray to rinse out the shampoo. He applied conditioner and then started to wash the rest of his husband.

“Mmm,” Justin purred softly, loving how Brian’s strong hands could be so gentle. Brian took special care of his lover’s delicate parts. Brian quickly washed himself and then before they left the shower, Brian took extra special care of Justin. Lowering himself to the shower floor, Brian expertly sucked off his lover as he kneaded Justin’s ass.

“Oh god!” Justin exclaimed as he shot his load down Brian’s throat. Pleasantly sated, Justin allowed Brian to wrap him up in a fluffy robe and then guide him to bed.

Brian hungrily kissed his lover as Justin melted into Brian’s embrace. They rolled around the large bed kissing, nipping and chuckling as they each fought for dominance. Brian found himself on his back with smug blue eyes looking down on him.

“You appear to have me just where you want me, Sunshine,” Brian said in a husky voice, his hazel eyes almost black and hooded in lust.

Justin reached over for the lube, squirted some into his hand then quickly prepared his own ass. He wiggled around a little then holding Brian’s hard erect cock, Justin slowly slid himself down onto Brian.

The lovers moaned in ecstasy.

“Now I have you where I want you,” Justin groaned as he began to undulate on his lover’s dick. Brian fisted Justin’s cock.

“Brian,” Justin called out as he felt himself getting close. Brian flipped them over then hoisted Justin’s legs over his shoulders. Brian thrust into Justin’s heat.

“Close,” Justin moaned.

“Now!” Brian growled as they came together, shaking in completion. Brian gently lowered Justin’s legs, cleaned him off then gathered him close.

“Love you, Bri,” Justin murmured as Brian covered them both with the sheets.

“Love you too, Sunshine,” Brian replied hugging the younger man closer and then following him into sleep.

Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 17




“Hot town, summer in the city,
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty.”

July 4th and the Kinney-Taylor clan were heading for Battery Park. D-day for Gus. He was hoping that his elusive and impetuous Cole would stand still long enough to meet his dads. Back in Pittsburgh Melanie and Lindsay were doing their last minute preparations for their party. They had planned a sophisticated afternoon ‘tea’ party with a very select guest list. Melanie was hoping to cultivate a better class of friends. Lindsay was hoping to make it through the day without embarrassment.

“Damn, it’s hot!” Brian griped. He was slathering sunscreen on Bree and adjusting her sunhat. Her pale skin was very vulnerable to the burning sun and it was too hot to wear long sleeves. Of course that didn’t stop Brian from wearing a long sleeve gauzy shirt over a white wife-beater and his jeans. He was without a doubt the sexiest man at the party but he was beginning to feel the heat as well.

“I told you to wear something else,” Justin retorted. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Brian made a face then quoted something he read a long time ago. “Some of us prefer to sacrifice comfort for style,” Brian snarked as he applied sunscreen to Bree’s legs. She was wearing her favorite pink and lavender short set with matching hat and sneakers.

Justin gave his spouse a double take then had to ask. “Who said that?” Justin asked daring Brian.

“Snoopy!” Brian replied then sent Bree off to join the rest of the children who were playing in a special cordoned area that was surrounded by watchful parents and grandparents. Joan stood among them holding a parasol to protect herself from the sun.

“Snoopy?” Justin asked incredulously, Brian smirked making Justin laugh. “You’re a freak, you know that, don’t you?” Brian nodded then leaned over to give Justin a kiss. “Come on, big guy, it looks like Barbara is having some grilling difficulties.”

“Barbara? Grilling difficulties? What are you talking about?” Justin pointed to where Barbara Carter, the woman he had met at the GLC dance, was standing by the grills. It was the heat of the day, hungry party goers were quietly demanding to be fed and the grills that the lesbians had set up were not cooperating. Brian, the king of the barbecue grill, quickly sized up the problem. He stripped off his gauze shirt, shoved it at Justin then sprinted over to the grills to offer his services.

Justin watched as Brian charmed the overheated women and gently took charge. Justin smiled as he held Brian’s shirt close to his face, inhaling the heady scent of his husband. It was something Justin would never tire of. Before Brian’s scent could start up something in Justin’s shorts, he folded up the shirt and placed it in his messenger bag.

Brian made short work of the simple fare that was offered. Hot dogs, hamburgers, spicy sausage and chicken were no match for the king of the grills. The women had large aluminum pans at the ready to receive the perfectly grilled meat. At one point, Brian stepped back from the grills to get himself a bottle of water. He quickly drank half of it then poured the rest over his head. Justin gasped at the sight. Brian looked exactly like the man who had stolen his heart so long ago. Justin stared as his husband shook off the excess water then quickly slicked back his hair and returned to the grills. Every gay man from age 15 to 102 was completely enamored.

“Dude, you are one hell of a lucky man,” Justin heard Simon say as he felt the large paw pat his back. All Justin could do was nod in agreement. He knew he was a very, very lucky man.


*****


“Well this is nice,” Ted whispered to Allen.

“Mmm,” Allen mumbled in agreement. They were among the few ‘family’ members to receive an invitation to Mel and Lindsay’s ‘do’.

There were several mutual acquaintances at the party, so Ted and Allen as well as Michael and Ben had people to talk to. However, Ted kept an eye on the time. Debbie was doing her own party later that evening and they had promised to go. Teddy had every intention of keeping his promise.

Emmett had kept the menu simple, cool and elegant. Under a gazebo on a long table were small bite sized fruit tarts, robust and crisp salads strong enough to hold up under the heat and cool summer tea sandwiches in neatly trimmed triangles. A couple of waiters were circulating offering a variety of beverages. Soft chamber music played in the background. The only harsh noises to mar the atmosphere were the occasional firecrackers. Melanie was very pleased; however, Michael had a difficult time identifying what he was eating. Ben had no problem with the mostly vegetarian fare so Michael coped.

While Ben was speaking with a fellow professor from Carnegie-Mellon, Michael decided to seek out his daughter. Raphael and Hector were also invited, so Curtis was there spending time with the only other youngster at the party, JR.

“Hiya, Sweetpea. Hey, Curtis. How’s it going?”

“Fine,” both said at the same time. They were both bored to tears.

“You guys want something to eat?”

“Dad, there’s nothing out there I like. It’s all weird stuff,” JR stated. Not wanting to be rude, Curtis kept silent but Michael knew he felt the same way. Michael glanced at his watch. It was some time before his mother’s barbecue. He was going to take JR; Curtis and his dads were also planning to attend.

“Okay, wait here,” Michael instructed the kids. They watched from the side door as Michael quickly went into the garden, had a brief word with Ben, Raph and Lindsay then came back. With car keys in hand, Michael ushered the kids out the front door.

“Where we going?” JR asked as she sprinted to keep up.

“Yeah,” Curtis said not knowing what to make of everything.

“To get the best fried chicken in town and in air-conditioning!” Michael replied as he waited for the kids to buckle up, and off they drove.

Several minutes later they pulled up near the Liberty diner. Debbie wasn’t on duty but Lacy was. The diner wasn’t that busy but there were a few people having lunch. Not everyone had the day off for the holiday. The local beat cops were sitting at the counter having lunch. Katerina, who was about to work the three to eleven shift at the hospital was there for ‘breakfast.’ As was Dr. Nick who was going to pull a few hours in the emergency room before going over to Deb’s party later on.

“What can I get ya?” Lacy asked with smiles for her friends and family.

“Three orders of chicken in a basket and three colas!” Michael answered with enthusiasm.

“Three cluckers in a nest coming right up!” Lacy quipped then went off to turn in her order and bring back their drinks. Michael and the kids laughed then sat back to enjoy the afternoon.


*****


“Hey,” a voice whispered in Gus’ ear. Gus was sitting on a bench staring at his father cooking up a storm on the grills. He was hungry and would have liked to have had a burger or a hotdog, but his stomach was doing back flips.

Was Cole going to come?

Would he stick around long enough to meet his father and Justin?

Would Cole like his parents?

Would his parents like Cole?

Would Bree like Cole?

Would his grandmother embarrass him?

Worse, would his father embarrass him?

Would this fucking day ever be over?

The voice in his ear and the hot breath against his neck made Gus jump. He turned to see Cole smiling at him.

“Hey,” Gus grinned. “You came.”

“I always come,” Cole smirked.

Gus shivered. That looked and sounded so much like his father that it gave him chills. He shook himself mentally. “I was beginning to think you weren’t going to show,” Gus said uncertainly.

“I told you I’d be here. I always keep my word.”

Gus studied the young man with the auburn hair. He found Cole totally attractive. His dick stood up and took notice every time Cole was nearby. This was no exception. “Would you like to meet my dads now?” Gus asked praying Cole would say yes.

“I thought maybe we could find an empty restroom first.”

Gus blanched. He remembered what almost happened in the restroom at Coney Island. “There’s some port-a-john’s over there,” Gus told Cole.

“And you could come with me,” Cole added, stressing the word ‘come’.

“Um … I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” Gus glanced over his shoulder to see if his father was still at the grills. He was. Gus breathed a sigh of relief. “Look, Cole, I told my father you’d be here today and he could meet you. That really needs to happen.”

“Fuck! Parents are the pits,” Cole replied letting out an annoyed breath. “How about a kiss first?”

“That might be arranged,” Gus said with a big smile before Cole yanked him forward and planted a hot one on his lips.

“Burger?” someone said.

“Huh?” Gus muttered as Cole released him from the kiss. Gus turned to see his father and Justin standing behind them. They each had a paper plate with a burger and salad on it.

“I asked if you’d like a burger,” Brian said sternly. “I assume the kiss is over.”

Gus looked from his father to Cole. Neither one of them seemed very happy. Gus felt his heart rate increase. This meeting had not got off to a very good start. He had to do something to make things better. “Um … Pop, Justin, this is Cole. Cole, this is my father, Brian Kinney, and his husband, Justin Taylor.”

“Cole what?” Brian asked handing his burger to Gus and extending his hand to shake Cole’s.

Cole looked startled and hesitated to take Brian’s hand. “I’m Cole Adams,” he said speaking very stiffly. “Sir,” he added as an afterthought.

“So, Cole Adams, what do you think you’re doing with my son?”

“Pop,” Gus cautioned.

“It’s okay,” Cole said quickly, as he decided to shake Brian’s hand. He made sure to shake very firmly. He wanted Gus’ old man to know that he was strong and independent and not intimidated by Brian Kinney, even if he was … just a bit. “It’s a real pleasure to finally meet you…sir.”

“Would you like a burger?” Justin asked extending the plate he was holding towards Cole.

“Sure,” Cole said, glad for an excuse to drop Brian’s hand, although he could imagine that hand running up and down his spine or wrapped around his dick. Cole cleared his throat. “Thanks,” he said hoping he sounded sincere.

“I’m Justin. It’s nice to finally get to meet you.”

“Yeah, nice,” Brian repeated, the sarcasm all too clear in his voice.

“I’ve been wanting to meet both of you … for quite a while,” Cole said hoping he could make that seem like the truth. Unfortunately there was a tinge of sarcasm to his words. He hadn’t been able to prevent it.

Brian raised an eyebrow. He looked at Cole more closely. “How old did Gus say you were?”

“Nineteen,” Cole replied smoothly. That was the age he always used these days.

“Hm,” Brian said.

“Pop,” Gus pleaded, asking his father to lighten up.

“Enjoy your burgers,” Justin said taking Brian’s arm. He pulled his husband away. “Behave,” Justin whispered to Brian when they were out of earshot.

“I don’t like him,” Brian said through clenched teeth.

Justin snorted. “Are we surprised? I don’t think you’d like anyone Gus brought home, and I don’t know what will happen when Bree starts to date.”

“Bree is not dating.”

“She will eventually. You won’t be able to stop it.”

Brian frowned. “This Cole squeezed my hand too tight,” he said changing the subject back to what was bothering him. “That’s a classic sign of over-compensation. I don’t like that in people.”

“Brian…”

“I learned that in business, Justin. People who shake hands like Cole just did were either hiding something or were out to make my life a misery.”

Justin sighed. “Try to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.”

“That’s another thing. I don’t think Cole’s quite the teenager he wants us to think he is.”

“What do you mean?”

“I bet he’s more than nineteen.”

“Why would he lie about his age?” Justin asked with a frown. “Most kids want to be older not younger. I know I did.”

“Says the guy who still looks nineteen,” Brian snarked.

“Hey, when did I graduate from seventeen?” It was their standing joke that Justin was still Brian’s seventeen year old twink.

“A year or two ago. I didn’t know how to tell you the sad news,” Brian smirked.

Justin punched him in the upper arm as Brian went back to flipping burgers. “I think you should ease up on Cole. We don’t know him yet, and Gus really seems to like him.” They watched Gus and Cole sitting on the planter eating their burgers.

“I’ll try, but I have definite reservations about this guy,” Brian asserted.

“I get that,” Justin sighed. “But give him a chance. That’s all I ask.”

Brian nodded as he continued to work his grills.


*****


“Your father doesn’t like me,” Cole said as he took a bite of his burger.

“Pop’s a little hard on people he doesn’t know … and harder on those he does know,” Gus said with a wry chuckle.

Cole looked at the young Kinney. He wanted to fuck him. He wanted to fuck Brian Kinney too. He wanted to see what he could get out of this wealthy family. If his cousin was right about who and what the Kinneys were, they were worth a fortune. He would have to play this carefully, especially since the old man seemed to have taken an instant dislike to him. Cole wondered what he had done that had made Kinney react that way. Usually Cole was able to snow anybody he met. He hadn’t done too badly with Justin Taylor, but the old man was something else.

Looking over at the grills, Cole studied Brian Kinney. He was one fine looking man, even if he was well past it in gay years. He watched Brian’s muscles flex as he flipped burgers. A sheen of sweat showed every ripple glistening in the hot sun. Cole licked his lips watching the man.

“He won’t like you any better if you stare at him,” Gus said noting the direction of Cole’s line of sight.

Cole snorted. “I don’t think he’ll ever like me. I thought I was being pretty … gracious.”

“Gracious?” Gus chuckled. “Well, maybe you could call it that.”

“What would you call it?”

“I thought you were trying to ingratiate yourself too much,” Gus said honestly.

“Didn’t you want me to be nice to your old man?”

“Yeah, but he knows when it’s too much.”

“Too much?”

“Come on, Cole. Even I could feel that you were being too nice.”

“Hm,” was all Cole said.

“Good burger,” Gus said with his mouth full.

“Not bad,” Cole agreed. “Is that one of your father’s many talents?”

“Yeah, he always barbecues at home. He makes a great steak on the grill.”

Cole took in the steak reference. This family had nothing but the best. They lived just the kind of life that Cole wanted to live. Maybe he could have that if he played his cards right.


*****


“Gus!” Bree squealed as she broke free of her grandmother’s hand and ran over to her brother.

Gus had been dumping the now empty paper plates into a trash can. He scooped up his sister and spun her around watching her giggle in delight. “Hey, short stuff, what ya been doing?”

“Playing over there,” Bree said pointing to the play area.

“Did you make some new friends?”

Bree frowned. “I played with Susie. She was okay.”

“Just okay?”

“I’d rather play with Ashley,” Bree sighed.

“Are you getting homesick?” Gus asked.

Joan arrived behind Bree as Gus set her down. She shook her head at Gus. Gus realized he should be careful about mentioning being homesick. “Grandma, Bree, would you like to meet my friend Cole?”

“Certainly,” Joan replied quickly, before Bree had a chance to answer Gus’ question.

They walked over to where Cole was still sitting on the planter. He had been talking on his cell phone. He snapped it shut when he saw them approaching.

“Cole, this is the rest of my family that’s here in New York. My grandmother, Joan Kinney.”

“How do you do, Mrs. Kinney,” Cole said taking Joan’s hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. He wouldn’t make the same mistake twice. Joan merely nodded in acknowledgement.

“And my sister…”

“I’m Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said holding out her hand to shake with Cole.

Cole looked down at the little blonde. “Hello,” he said reluctantly, but he didn’t shake her hand.

Bree frowned and dropped her hand. She took a step back so that Gus was mostly between her and this man. “Gamma,” she said, “where’s my daddies?”

“Over there, Briana. Would you like to go see them?” Joan asked.

“Yes,” Bree said emphatically. She looked up through her lashes at this man she didn’t know. She didn’t like him very much when he wouldn’t shake hands with her.

Joan took Bree’s hand and they walked towards the grills.

“Why didn’t you shake Bree’s hand?” Gus asked.

“Are you kidding? I don’t like kids. And she’s what … four? I don’t shake hands with infants.”

“She’s not an infant. She’s my sister, and she’s a very smart little girl.”

Cole snorted. “Where was that port-a-john you mentioned earlier?”

Gus watched Cole head towards the portable toilets. He didn’t follow him.


*****


“Daddy,” Bree said as Justin picked her up.

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“Why is that man with Gus?”

“You mean Cole?”

“Yeah.”

“Gus … likes Cole.”

“I don’t.”

“You don’t?” Justin asked in surprise. “Why is that?”

“He wouldn’t shake my hand.”

“How rude of him,” Justin said with a frown. Maybe Brian was right about this guy.

Bree nodded her head in agreement. “I don’t think Gus should be friends with Cole.”

“You too?” Justin asked, knowing that was certainly Brian’s opinion.

“Don’t like Cole,” Bree repeated.

“That seems to be the general consensus,” Justin sighed. “Unfortunately Gus does.”

Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 18




“It was a lovely party, Melanie,” one of the partners at her law firm said, as he made his goodbyes.

“Thanks, Vern. I’ll see you Monday at work.”

Vern ushered his wife out the door. He was followed by several other guests taking their leave as the party was winding down. The comments to the hostess were all very positive. Everyone said they’d had a lovely time and thanked Mel for having them.

Lindsay stood beside her mate, playing the role of dutiful wife. She smiled graciously and made innocuous comments to everyone as they left. She still had little idea who most of them were. She heaved a sigh as this group exited. “The party went really well, Mel,” Lindsay said squeezing Melanie’s arm.

“Yeah, it did.”

Lindsay looked at her wife. Considering that the party was pretty much a success, she wondered why Mel didn’t sound more upbeat. “Is anything wrong, Mel?” she asked.

“Um…”

Just then Ted and Allen came over to the door. They kissed the girls and said they were ready to leave.

“I hope you had a nice time,” Lindsay said as she had done with each guest who had already left.

“Oh, very nice, lovely party, great time,” Ted blathered.

“Screw off, Schmidt,” Melanie stated harshly, but not loud enough for the remaining guests to hear.

“Charming,” Allen said derisively, taken aback by Melanie’s words.

“It was a charming party till now,” Ted concurred.

“You hated every minute of it, didn’t you?” Melanie demanded.

“No, of course not, never, well, maybe a little, maybe more than a little, I have had better times,” Ted mumbled.

“I thought so,” Melanie said with a glower on her face.

“It was a fine party, Melanie,” Allen put forth, hoping to make their hostess feel better.

“You just didn’t enjoy yourselves,” Melanie continued.

“The food was good and the music was…” Ted began.

“The music was great,” Allen said decisively. He played in an orchestra and knew good music when he heard it. The only problem had been that the music was rather somber for a summer party, but it was still good music.

“Yes, very good,” Ted added, picking up on what Allen was trying to do.

Melanie stared at the two of them. She looked like she was about to start some kind of a rant. Ted wondered what he had done. He had tried to be gracious about the party. It had been all right, just not much fun.

“We better be going,” Allen said.

“Off to Debbie’s party?” Melanie asked with a raised brow.

“Um…we did promise her,” Ted stammered.

“Have a blast,” Melanie said sarcastically.

Ted and Allen beat a hasty retreat out the door. As they left Melanie and Lindsay could hear voices from outside. The door opened and JR came in, followed by Curtis and then Michael.

“Did you have a nice time?” Mel asked with sarcasm oozing from her voice.

“It was great, Mama. We had cluckers,” JR giggled.

“What the fuck are cluckers?” Melanie demanded.

“Mel, language,” Lindsay whispered, nodding not towards JR as she usually did, but towards nearby guests.

“It’s fried chicken, Mama. Lacy calls them cluckers.”

“The chicken was real good,” Curtis said with a big smile.

“As opposed to my party,” Melanie accused.

Curtis turned pale and stared at the floor. He had been having such a good time at the diner. He wondered where Raph and Hector were. He suddenly wanted nothing more than to go home.

“Leave the kids alone,” Michael piped up.

“Shut up, Michael,” Mel retorted.

“I will not shut up. JR, Curtis, go find Raph and Hector. It’s time this party was over. Come with me,” Michael said grabbing Melanie’s arm and pulling her out onto the front porch. He closed the door none too quietly behind them. “What the fuck is the matter with you?” he demanded.

“Nothing’s the matter. I just … wish my own family could appreciate what I do for them,” Melanie replied, and then realized that it almost sounded like a whine.

“What you do for them? Don’t you mean what you do for yourself?” Michael demanded.

“No, I don’t,” Melanie protested. “This party was for the whole family.”

“Really? Who chose the food?”

“Well, Emmett … and me.”

“And the music?”

“Emmett … and me.”

“And the style of the party?”

“Um … Emmett and me,” Melanie admitted beginning to see the point that Michael was making.

“Sounds more like Emmett’s party than Lindsay’s. What part did Lindz have in all this?” Michael asked driving home his point. Subtlety had never been his strong suit.

“Well, she was here and stood beside me.”

“And who made the guest list?”

“Well, I … it was my idea.” Melanie realized that Michael wouldn’t even have been there if she had followed her original plan for the party.

“How come Ma and Carl and most of the rest of ‘our family’ weren’t invited?”

“I … I didn’t think they’d fit into this kind of party … and besides, Debbie’s having her own party today. She wouldn’t have had time to come here,” Melanie stated, trying to justify her choices.

“I was at a party like this a long time ago when I was with David. I didn’t invite any of my real friends because I thought they’d embarrass me in front of David’s hoity-toity friends. I learned the hard way that that was a big mistake. These people that you invited here today aren’t your real friends, Mel. They probably don’t even really like you. I hope you enjoyed putting on the dog for them, because you made your own daughter uncomfortable doing it. Happy Fourth of July, I’m going to Ma’s party now. I can guarantee that I’ll have a much better time there.” Michael stepped down off the porch and walked towards his car, then he remembered that Ben was still inside the house. He turned and came back, feeling foolish for having tried to make a grand exit and screwing it all the fuck up. “I need to say good bye to JR and get my husband,” Michael said to the women as he went back inside.

Melanie stood with her mouth dropped open. How could Michael talk to her like that? And how the fuck could he be so right about everything? She shook her head at her own stupidity.

A couple more guests came out with Lindsay and said their goodbyes. Then Michael reappeared with Ben and JR. Michael and Ben headed for their car while JR walked along with them. Melanie was sure her daughter wanted to go to Debbie’s party with her father, but the little girl turned around and came back to her mothers as Michael got in his car and drove off.

Raph, Hector and Curtis took their leave, saying they had enjoyed themselves. Lindsay made nice, while a nearly silent Mel sputtered out a few obligatory words. Following them were the last stragglers, and then the party was over.

“It went very well,” Lindsay said to Mel, a big smile on her face.

“Everybody hated it,” Melanie stated.

“They did not,” Lindsay protested.

“All our friends did. Even my daughter,” Melanie admitted.

“I’m sorry, Mama,” JR said her eyes filling up with tears.

Melanie shook her head. She didn’t know what to say or do.

“Mel,” Lindsay said gently. “Your associates at the law firm and the other contacts that were here all had a very nice time. They all said they enjoyed themselves. You did a good job with the party.”

“A good job,” Mel said shaking her head. “That’s what it was. A job. I treated this party like part of my work. It was no fucking fun at all. It was work.”

“Mel, what are you talking about?”

“If I ever want to have another party, you two need to do all the planning. Just tell me to shut the fuck up and plan something that will be fun,” Melanie instructed them and then burst out laughing. “Poor Teddy, trying to mollify me when he hated every minute of this fiasco.”

“It wasn’t a fiasco. It was a very nice party,” Lindsay protested.

“What do you two say about us blowing this pop stand and heading over to Debbie’s for some real fun,” Melanie said with a big grin.

“Yay!” JR shouted.

“That’s my girl,” Mel laughed. “What about you, Lindz?”

“There’s a lot to clean up inside.”

“Fuck the clean up. We can do that later. Let’s go have some fun.”

“Okay,” Lindsay giggled sounding like the young girl Melanie had fallen in love with. “Maybe we can take some of the leftovers to Debbie’s.”

“Grandma wouldn’t want it,” JR pronounced. “She’ll have real food at her place.”

Mel and Lindz laughed at JR’s comment.

“She’s right, you know,” Melanie said. “Let’s get changed and we can take some wine. They’ll appreciate that a lot more than this food.”

The Marcus-Peterson family went into the house to change for the real Fourth of July party.


*****


“I didn’t realize how much I’ve missed this,” John said casually as he and his mother sat on the rocking lounger in the screened porch at the farm. John, Bobby and Patrick decided to spend the July 4th holiday with Claire and Steve. Bill and his life partner Gary, had come by for an intimate barbecue, as did several friends and neighbors.

“It’s such a beautiful afternoon,” Claire commented as Bobby was giving Patrick some pitching and batting tips. Two heads with flaming red hair were blazing in the July sun.

“Do you ever regret that I relocated the cottage?”

“No, Jackie, of course not. As a very wise man once said, no apologies, no regrets,” Claire quipped with her tongue in her cheek a la Brian Kinney. She and John chuckled. “It makes sense for you to be there; I have no regrets. But you could bring my grandson to visit me more often,” Claire admonished with little sting in her words.

John dipped his head. “Yes, mother, I intend to. It’s good for Patrick to know his grandmother and our family history. You have such great stories of growing up with Grandma Patience and Grandpapa Aidan. I want Patrick to know those stories.” Claire nodded in agreement. It was the past that united her son with his brother. It was only right that the children should know their family history.

“More iced tea?” Claire offered John who readily agreed.

The boys had spent most of the morning cleaning up the treehouse. Now that Patrick was old enough to appreciate it, he wanted to camp out in it. John and Bobby wholeheartedly agreed and had arranged their schedules accordingly. The Village project was almost complete, requiring only a few adjustments as new tenants moved into the apartments or occupied a store. John’s construction crew was more than adept to handle it.

John sighed loudly.

“What is it, sweetheart? You’ve been moping all day,” Claire observed.

“I miss them,” John said softly. Claire needed no explanation; she too, missed the Kinney-Taylor part of their family. Claire nodded, then she smiled as Beau who was invited to the party had leapt high and stolen the softball Bobby had pitched to Patrick. John and Claire laughed loudly as the two red-heads happily chased the dog around the yard.

“He’s such a good dog,” Claire stated.

“Yes, he is, a credit to the Beaus who went before him.”

“I miss having a dog around the farm. I still wake up ready to call him to breakfast. But your Beau fits right in at Edna’s Treasures.”

“I agree and he’s the only one that the princess can’t bamboozle!” John and Claire giggled.

“She certainly knows how to work her assets.”

“Tell me about it. She has Brian totally wrapped around her finger and I can’t say that me or Bobby are any better. And I’m afraid Patrick may fall for her charms some day. Beau’s the only one that can keep her in line, although Justin does stand firm with her.”

“Then I say Beau’s worth his weight in kibble,” Claire said with a sideways glance making John burst out into belly laughs.

“Oh, it’s so good to laugh like this, Mom. You were always my best friend growing up.”

“Comes with having a young mother. I think we raised each other. And now you have your own son. I’m so proud of you, Jackie. You and Bobby have done a wonderful job as parents. Patrick is a bright, happy child and so well mannered. A perfect combination of the both of you.”

“He’s growing so fast.”

“Little boys do. Before you know it, he’ll be dating.”

“Oh please, don’t you start too.”

“What did I say?”

“Justin called the other night. Apparently Gus is trying to take the Big Apple by storm.” Claire gave John an incredulous look. “He and Raymond were caught kissing and now Gus has his eyes set on some kid he met at the GLC dance. Brian and Justin have insisted on meeting this boy but so far he’s been elusive. You know how Brian can get.”

Claire rolled her eyes. "Big time!” she snarked.

“Well, supposedly they’re meeting today. The GLC is sponsoring a July 4th picnic in Battery Park. I just hope Brian survives."

“You mean you hope the kid and Gus survive.”

“That too. My brother is rather protective, you know.”

“I hadn’t noticed,” Claire said with a straight face then the two of them laughed. “I’m sure it will all go well. I take it that our calm cool and always in control, Brian Kinney, is not handling Gus’ foray into manhood very well.”

“In a word, no. I fully believe that Brian was hoping Gus would miraculously bypass the teenage years and jump right into adulthood so that Brian wouldn’t have to deal with dating issues.”

“Is it really dating issues that has Brian flustered?” Claire already knew the answer to her question.

John sighed again. “No, it’s not, as you well know. I guess he’s afraid of what all parents are afraid of, our children growing up too fast, having sex before they’re prepared or fully understand the consequences.”

“Honey, I’m the last one to pass judgment.”

“Mom, this is no reflection on you. You thought Jack was coming back for you and when you knew he wasn’t you didn’t want to burden him with a child he may not have wanted. I have no complaints about my life. I loved my childhood. You’re the best mother a child could ever want. But things are so different today.”

“Not so different, but you are right about the consequences. Teenage pregnancy is just the tip of the iceberg. Have Brian and Justin had the talk with Gus?”

“Many times, as well as the girls, and Debbie threw her two cents in as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if the poor boy winds up with cases of condoms for his next birthday. No, I don’t think that’s it; it’s just the concept of your child engaging in sexual activity,” John said in all sincerity then blushed as his mother looked at him. “You know what I mean.”

“I know,” Claire said then patted her son’s hand. “Besides, I do believe that embarrassment works both ways. I’m barely eighteen years older than you and I have to admit that Steve keeps me quite busy.” Claire had a smirk on her face.

“Okay, now we’re approaching the TMI line. I think I’ll go play ball with my men before I blush redder than their hair.” Claire laughed as John gave his mother a kiss before scurrying to join Bobby and Patrick.

“What’s up with him?” Steve asked as he took John’s place on the rocker. He had a cold beer in one hand and took Claire’s hand in the other.

“Nothing, really. He just can’t accept the fact that he has one hot mama for a mother,” Claire said.

“Oh. That’s all right; he’ll get over it, eventually,” Steve quipped as he gave his hot mama a kiss and squeezed her hand. They rocked contentedly as they watched their family at play.


*****


“Hello?”

“Justin? It’s me, Daphne. I can’t believe you still have the same cell phone number.”

“Never had a reason to change it. You did, however. I tried to get in touch with you several times, but you never returned my calls and then your parents moved away.”

“Yeah, they retired and moved to Phoenix.”

“What can I do for you, Daphne? I got the impression you really didn’t want to know me.”

“It’s not that, Jus. It’s that so much has changed.”

“What happened to you? Did you ever finish medical school?”

“Sort of, but I wound up marrying a doctor instead of becoming one.”

There was an uncomfortable silence between them that made Justin begin to mourn the loss of his childhood best friend and confidante.

“I called to ask you to lunch tomorrow, at the club. My friends are looking forward to it. We’ve gone to all of your exhibits.”

“But why haven’t I ever seen you at any of them? Never mind, I’m not sure if I want to know.”

“Please, Jus. It’ll be like the socials we went to as kids.” Justin sighed but then quickly jotted down the address of Daphne’s club. “One o’clock, and look fabulous, okay!” Before Justin could respond, Daphne hung up.

“Okay,” he said softly and to no one.


Chapter 19 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 19




Armed with blankets and towels, the partygoers at Battery Park were preparing to claim a patch of grass to watch the fireworks display. Gus and Cole had a spot near the sea wall and they looked like they were trying to merge into one being. Joan found a bench for her and Bree. She was explaining how noisy the fireworks were going to be, but also said how beautiful they were as well. Brian and Justin were walking along the perimeter of the park while trying to keep the boys in sight.

“What’s the matter, Sunshine? You were so happy this whole afternoon and now you look like you’ve lost your best friend.”

“I think I have, again.”

“Mind elaborating so us mortals understand.”

“Daphne called and invited me to lunch tomorrow.”

“And the problem is?”

“I don’t think I want to go.”

“Then don’t.”

“But Brian, I want to know what I did to make her hate me!”

Brian drew the younger man into his arms to comfort him. “Justin, she doesn’t hate you. Daphne loved you, she could never hate you, but people change, circumstances change. Maybe for her to be happy or get what she wanted out of life she had to change. But you won’t know unless you have lunch with the ladies.”

“When did you become mister sensitivity?”

“The day I realized that I would never be truly happy unless I made you an honest man,” Brian murmured into the blond mane then kissed the top of Justin’s head.

“So you think I should go to lunch?”

“Yes, I do and I think that some time after the salad and the first round of apple martinis, Mrs. Taylor should make an appearance.”

“Why would my mother show up?” Justin asked not fully understanding Brian. Brian arched an eyebrow, then narrowed his gaze into a Rageian glare, willing Justin to catch a clue. “Oh, OH!”

“And he sees the light!” Brian snarked as he gently thumped Justin on the head. “Mrs. Taylor will knock them right off their Manolo Blahnik shoes.”

“And you’ll look fabulous doing it?”

“Sunshine, for you I’ll buy out the entire Armani collection at Neiman Marcus,” Brian said proudly.

“I think you’ve already done that,” Justin said smugly, as he turned to walk back to the bench where Bree and Joan were sitting. The sun had gone down and the fireworks show was about to begin.

“Prada,” Brian said as he followed, unaware of the wily smirk on Justin’s not so innocent face. Justin’s pert ass had an extra bouncy wiggle as Brian relayed all the sacrifices he was prepared to make on Justin’s behalf. “Gucci, wait, I know, Dolce and Gabbana. What do you think, Sunshine? Sunshine? Sunshine?”

Justin's smile was growing broader by the second.

Most of Manhattan, as well as the rest of the country, were watching a fireworks display of some kind or another; celebrating another year of America’s birth. Bree found it all a bit intimidating, but felt safe watching the colorful and noisy bursts in the sky from her Dada’s lap. Her Daddy was sitting closely beside them holding her hand.

The Kinney-Taylor family oohed and aahed along with everyone else.


*****


“Come on, Gus. Nobody’s watching,” Cole cooed as his hand snaked down into Gus’ shorts.

“Stop,” Gus gasped. “I don’t want to do this out here where everybody can see.”

“Nobody cares what we’re doing.”

“My father does,” Gus panted as Cole’s insistent hand had hold of his now hard cock.

“Fuck your father! He’s not here at the moment.”

“But he’s around. You never know when he’ll show up.”

Cole’s hand drew out of Gus’ shorts very quickly, as the fireworks continued to go off around them.

Gus let out a long breath. He wasn’t sure whether he was glad that Cole had stopped … or disappointed. He sat up as the fireworks display drew to a conclusion.

Cole stared at the young man. He thought he was finally going to get what he wanted, but Gus had pulled back once again. Maybe this whole idea was for the fucking birds. He stood up.

“Where are you going?” Gus asked.

“I’m going home,” Cole said flatly.

“Home?” Gus asked bewildered. He knew that Cole wanted him. If they could just get some privacy, they’d be able to do … something. “But, I thought…” Gus didn’t know quite how to finish that statement.

“You thought? It’s always about you, isn’t it? Well, I’m fucking sick of you, little boy!” Cole ranted.

“I … I’m not a little boy,” Gus protested weakly.

“You might as well be. You don’t know what the fuck you want. You promise everything, and then when we get a chance you back out. I’ve had enough.” Cole started to walk away.

“Cole, wait!” Gus pleaded quickly getting to his feet and taking some steps after Cole. His hard on was definitely receding, along with any hope of using it with Cole.

“Why should I wait? We’ll just have a repeat performance of the same old crap,” Cole stated harshly, as he took a few more steps away from Gus.

“I promise it won’t happen again.”

Cole turned and stared at Gus. Gus knew he was being challenged by the look.

“You mean it?” Cole demanded.

“I mean it,” Gus promised. “Let’s stay and help clean up the park. I heard Simon and Ken saying that they were looking for volunteers. Maybe I can convince my dad to leave me here. Then we can get some time alone.”

“Cleaning up the fucking park!” Cole shook his head. “I didn’t sign on to be a fucking garbage man.”

“I’ll make it worth your while,” Gus begged.

Cole knew he had Gus right where he wanted him. “Okay,” he said, seeming to give in reluctantly. “But you better not back out this time.”

“I won’t,” Gus declared. “Let’s go tell my father what we’re going to do … about helping to clean up, I mean,” Gus said with a giggle.

“Okay, if we have to,” Cole conceded.

Together the two walked back up the slope. Gus slipped his hand into Cole’s and was happy to find that it was not rejected. Cole’s fingers closed around Gus’ and gave his hand a squeeze. Gus smiled as they continued to walk looking for Brian and Justin.

They found Brian, Justin and Joan sitting on a bench. Bree was asleep in Justin’s arms.

“We’ve been waiting for you,” Brian said, none too pleased by the hand holding his son’s.

“We were down by the sea wall,” Gus said.

“I know. We need to take Bree home.”

“Cole and I were going to stay and help with the clean-up,” Gus said holding his breath that his father would buy their excuse.

“You were, were you?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.

“Yes, sir, we know they could use some extra volunteers,” Cole supplied, trying to sound sincere. The last thing he wanted to do was clean up the fucking park. However, he could play the game with the best of them. And if this got him where he wanted to be with Gus then he’d play along.

“They do need volunteers,” Justin said softly to Brian.

“I guess I could stay here and you could take Bree home,” Brian agreed.

“I already spoke to Simon,” Gus lied. “They’ll take me home with them. I can stay the night at Jeff and Ray’s.”

“I want you home with us,” Brian declared.

“Okay, Pop,” Gus agreed. “They’ll make sure I get back to the hotel.”

Brian drew in a breath. “Okay, I guess that’ll be all right,” he said giving into the eager look on Gus’ face. “You be careful, Sonny Boy.” Brian stood up, and took the sleeping Bree from Justin. Justin and Joan stood as well.

“I’ll be careful, Pop,” Gus said with a smile.

“And don’t be too late,” Brian warned.

“I won’t,” Gus agreed.

“You got money for a cab if you need one?” Brian asked.

Gus smiled. “Yeah, Pop, I’m fine.”

“Keep it that way.”

Brian and Justin and Joan started walking back to the area where they could get a taxi. Gus watched them go.

“What did he mean by that last comment?” Cole asked.

“I think he knows we’re not really staying for the sole purpose of cleaning the park,” Gus informed Cole.

“He does?” Cole asked, watching Kinney and his family disappear over the slope.

“Yeah.”

“And … he’s okay with … with you and me?”

“Not exactly,” Gus said with a little laugh. “He hates the whole idea, but he knows I’ll see you anyway, even if he forbids it.”

“Would you see me, if he forbids it?” Cole wanted to know.

Gus nodded his head. “Of course I would.”

Cole smiled. “Then let’s go.”

“Where are we going?” Gus asked as Cole started to drag him back down the slope.

“I know a good spot down here.”

“In the park?”

“Yep.”

“But…”

Cole stopped abruptly, and Gus almost ran into him. “Look, kid, you promised. Now are you going to keep your word, or are you backing out like every other time.”

“No, no, I’m not backing out. I just wish…”

“What?” Cole snapped.

“I wish we could be someplace … nicer, more private.”

“We’re gay. I don’t do fucking rose petals on the bed.”

“Of course not,” Gus agreed, as he let himself be led along again. “But a bed would be nice.”

“Fuck nice!” Cole griped. He yanked Gus in behind a building that Gus didn’t recognize. There were some bushes and he shoved Gus to the ground.

“Wait,” Gus begged.

“I’ve waited long enough.”

“But…”

“You promised,” Cole snapped.

“Yes, I did,” Gus said reluctantly. “Aren’t you even going to kiss me?”

Cole laughed. “Sure, you idiot. I’m not raping you, for fuck sake.”

“Good,” Gus said as he found himself swept into Cole’s arms and his mouth ravaged. Gus felt himself grow hard as Cole spread on top of him. The kiss went on and on until Gus’ head was reeling and his body was on fire. “Cole,” he moaned.

Cole smiled as he ended the kiss. This is what he wanted. He had Gus exactly as he wanted him. He unzipped Gus’ shorts and pulled out Gus’ straining cock. “You ever had a blowjob?” Cole asked knowingly.

“Sure,” Gus lied. He hoped he was going to get one now.

“Really?” Cole smirked.

“Well, sort of?”

“And what does a sort of blowjob consist of?” Cole asked as his hand slid up and down Gus’ cock.

“I … I don’t know,” Gus said in a daze.

Cole smirked even more. “I’m going to show you what makes a good blowjob,” Cole stated. “Pay attention and learn. Then you can return the favor.”

“O-Okay,” Gus stammered.

Cole’s warm hot mouth closed around Gus’ cock. Gus fought not to explode the moment the heat and moistness engulfed him. He felt Cole’s tongue pass through his slit and he shuddered with ecstasy. Cole slid his mouth up and down Gus’ length a couple of times and then gave a hard suck with his lips. Gus exploded into Cole’s mouth.

Gus felt the world go blank for an instant and then he opened his eyes to see a grinning Cole looking down at him. “How was your first blowjob?” Cole smirked.

“Um … great,” Gus said. “Wonderful actually. How did you know it was my first?”

“It wasn’t hard to figure out.”

“Oh!”

“I need some relief too,” Cole said with a feral look in his eyes. “I’ll settle for a blowjob … for now.”

“O-Okay,” Gus agreed. “I…”

“Go ahead,” Cole said. “Do your best.”

Gus summoned all his courage and bravado. He called upon all his limited knowledge of what constituted a blowjob. He would use everything that Cole had just shown him … if he could remember anything. His brain hadn’t exactly been functional a few minutes earlier. Gus had read all the gay porn he could get his hands on. He had surreptitiously watched some of his father’s porn movies a few times, when he could manage to get hold of them without Brian knowing. He summoned all his limited knowledge and unzipped Cole’s jeans.

The hard member almost jumped out at him, causing him to flinch. Cole laughed. “You have one of your own. Surely you know how it works.”

“Of course I do,” Gus stated emphatically. He was Brian fucking Kinney’s son and he could do this … and do it well.

He leaned forward and took Cole’s dick into his mouth. He tasted the precum and found it not too terrible. It certainly wasn’t the best thing he’d ever tasted. He folded his lips over his teeth making sure not to rake Cole’s cock with his teeth. He knew that was a no-no. He slid his lips up and down Cole’s length and got a moan in response. That gave him confidence to continue. He pulled slightly tightening his lips around Cole’s dick. Cole groaned louder.

Growing bolder as he seemed to be doing all the right things, Gus put his hand under Cole’s cock and played with the manÂ’s balls. Cole shuddered and Gus realized that he had done something good. Cole was getting close, if Gus could believe the signs he had felt when Cole blew him. Gus sucked a little harder and tried to take more of Cole’s length down his throat. He almost choked but managed to back off before he made a fool of himself by gagging. He didn’t want to look like a stupid kid to his boyfriend.

Gus smiled to himself. Cole was his boyfriend. He was actually having sex with another man. This was so great. He couldn’t wait to tell Ray.

He began sucking with renewed vigor. His fingers squeezed Cole’s sack. He heard the deep growl before Cole shot his load into Gus’ mouth. Gus didn’t know what to do when the hot cum began spurting down his throat. He realized they should probably have worn condoms, but Cole had swallowed Gus’ spunk, so Gus decided he would have to do the same. He gulped several times before he felt Cole go limp and he released him from his mouth.

Cole let out a big sigh, and Gus leaned in and kissed him. He found Cole’s tongue diving into his mouth, undoubtedly tasting himself. Gus wished he had done that too.

When the kiss ended, Cole said, “Not bad, kid.”

“I’m not a kid, and I think that was a pretty good blowjob,” Gus said bravely.

“You’re pretty cocky, aren’t you, baby cakes?”

“I’m Brian Kinney’s son,” Gus bragged. He realized his dick was bigger than Cole’s, and he knew Cole had liked the blowjob, no matter what he might say now.

“Big man, huh? Want to go a little farther?”

Gus hesitated. He knew he didn’t want to go any farther, not here behind this building … on the fucking ground. But sometime soon, the time and the place would be right. “I … I really should get home.” He looked at his watch and saw that it was heading towards midnight. “Fuck! My Pop’s going to be waiting up for me.”

“Okay, let’s grab a cab,” Cole conceded as he zipped up.

They stood and straightened their clothes, before running back up the hill to where taxis were usually waiting. They got one and headed for the hotel. Gus paid for it and they both got out when the cab stopped in front of the hotel.

“Call me tomorrow,” Gus begged, as Cole started to walk away.

“Sure.”

Gus watched Cole disappear down the street. With a happy smile on his face Gus headed upstairs. He now felt like a man, no longer a boy. That was, until he reached the door of the suite. He knew his father would be waiting for him. He took a deep breath and turned the knob. The door opened to reveal an empty living room with one lone light burning. Gus turned it off and headed to his room. He didn’t know why his father wasn’t waiting up to grill him about where he’d been, but he was very happy that he didn’t have to face his father right away. Now he could get into bed and savor what had happened to him this night. Gus closed his door quietly behind him.

Brian heard the door click, faint as it was. He let out a sigh. His son was growing up. He wondered how far things had gone tonight. All he asked was that Gus was safe. Now he would try to sleep. He pressed up against a sleeping Justin and tried to relax.


Chapter 20 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 20





July 5th and life was returning to normal.  Brian was up and out early, on his way to N’rgy.  The renovations were moving along rapidly, so rapidly that Brian had a feeling he would be able to take his brood home in a couple of weeks rather than the end of the month.  Which suited Brian just fine.  He knew that Gus wasn’t completely truthful last night but Brian wasn’t going to press the issue.  Gus came home and that was good enough...for now.  Brian intended to keep a close eye on Cole Adams.  With a kick-ass suit in a garment bag to change into later, Brian was ready to attack the day.

Justin left early as well so he could take advantage of the morning light in his studio.  He had his own kick-ass suit with him.

“Gamma, do we have anything special to do today?” Bree asked Joan as she blinked and yawned herself awake.  She had slept the whole cab ride back to the hotel and through the night.  The morning would soon be gone.

“No, Sweetheart, we have no special plans.  I’m rather tired from our outing yesterday.  I was thinking we’d spend a quiet day here.  Your Dada went to work and your Daddy went to his studio.  I believe Gus is still asleep.  Perhaps we’ll read some of our books.  You can draw pictures of the fireworks display for your reading group tomorrow.”

“Oh, that sounds like a good plan, Gamma,” Bree said with a brilliant smile.  “Can I stay in my pajamas?”

“I don’t see why not.  Let’s get washed up then check out what we have for breakfast.  If we don’t see anything interesting, we’ll call room service.”

“I like room service.”

“On lazy days like this one, I’d have to agree with you.  Room service comes in very handy.  Let’s go.”  Joan held out her hand for the child then led her to the bathroom.


*****


“Morning, sleepyhead, dream of me?” Cole drawled into his phone.

“Yeah, I did,” Gus whispered back into his own cell phone.

“Catch any heat from your old man?”

“Nah, they were asleep by the time I got back.”

“You like what we did last night?”  Cole asked low and sweet.

“Yeah, I was hard all night long just thinking about it,” Gus replied trying not to let his voice crack.

“Bet you’re hard now,” Cole purred.  “You alone?”

“Yeah, in my room.”  Gus was hard and he could feel himself leaking.

“Go ahead, play with yourself; I want to hear.  You have a beautiful cock.”

“Yeah?”  Gus knew his voice was cracking and he was breathing fast.

“Oh yeah, nice and long and you taste so sweet.  I can still taste you.”

“Oh god,” Gus panted.  He was pulling on himself, his copious amount of precum slicking up his hand.  “Cole, gonna...”

“That’s it, baby cakes, shoot that load for me.”

That’s all it took.  Gus came in buckets, dislodging the phone that was tucked under his chin.  He could hear Cole’s smug laughter as Cole cut the connection.  Gus would have to call him back later, much later, when he had a coherent brain cell in his head.  For now, a nap was in order.


*****


Precisely at one o’clock, Justin, dressed in a crisp linen suit that accentuated his assets, strolled into Daphne’s club.  The club was rather like an overpriced Bally’s that included an equally overpriced restaurant on the ground floor.  The maitre d’ immediately recognized the famous artist and escorted him over to the waiting ladies.  Summoning up all the cool calmness and confidence he had learned from Brian, Justin went willingly into the lioness’ den.

Tiffany was the first to greet Justin.

“Justin Taylor!” Tiffany said loudly and with the appropriate amount of sedate gush in her tone.  “So good of you to come.  Allow me to play hostess,” she added, noting Justin’s eyes darting around the table looking for Daphne.  “She’s in the ladies,” Tiffany leaned in close and whispered.  Justin did his best not to sneeze from her perfume.

“This is Gloria Rawlings; you met the other day at the Met.”  Justin shook hands with the tall blond woman whom he had indeed met at the museum.  She hadn’t introduced herself at the time.

“Mr. Taylor, I’m charmed.  And where is Mrs. Taylor?  I so wanted to meet the lucky girl who captured you,” Gloria drawled in a sickly sweet tone that made Justin want to gag.

“An appointment that ran late, you know how that is.  Soon though,” Justin said as generically as possible, as he shook her hand, trying not to scratch himself on her one inch nails.

“And this is June Davis.”  A buxom red-head shook Justin’s hand lightly as she thrust her cleavage at him.  He managed not to shudder.

“And Veronica Smythe.”  A petite woman with unnaturally blue-black hair stood to shake Justin’s hand, her skirt so short that it made Justin cringe.  He so did not want to see anything south of the border.

They all took their seats as the waiter came over.  “Apple Martinis?” Tiffany suggested.  The ladies all smiled.  “Fabulous!  Apple Martinis for all,” Tiffany ordered as they settled back to peruse their menus.  The waiter nodded his approval then went to fill their order.

Daphne hurried to join her party.  She had seen Justin come in, but the need to answer nature’s call outweighed her need to get to Justin.  She prayed that Justin wasn’t planning on rocking her little corner of the world.  When she returned to the table, Justin greeted her cordially but a little coolly.  Daphne sighed and resigned herself to her fate.  She just hoped she’d come out of it all with some dignity intact.

About an hour later, the first round of martinis were gone and they were all enjoying the Waldorf salad.  Justin was regaling the ladies on some of his exploits as an artist in training when he studied in New York.  He kept the conversation purposely light.  The ‘ladies’ all had a habit of interrupting so each could monopolize the conversation.  Justin was beginning to make a game out of it by starting off a topic then silently betting on which lady would take over as expert.  He caught a twinkle in Daphne’s eye; she knew what he was doing.  Smiling coyly, Justin thought maybe his childhood friend was not totally lost to him.

Brian got out of his cab and sauntered up to the building.  Dressed in a summer weight charcoal grey pinstriped suit, he reeked of success, elegance and a sensuality no man could match.  The doorman quickly opened the door and pointed Brian in the direction of the restaurant.

The maitre d’ who was quite an expert when it came to the who’s who of business and society (and of all things gay), recognized Brian Kinney.  He puffed himself up like a proud peacock and happily showed Brian to his party.

“Oh my!” Tiffany gasped as Brian approached slowly looking like a panther on the prowl.

“Ooo, I’d love some of that,” June purred, sitting up straighter and jutting out her bosom.          

Gloria and Veronica quickly checked their makeup reflecting in the cutlery.  Daphne prepared herself for the worst.

“Sweetheart, so sorry I’m late,” Brian drawled as he leaned down to plant a toe curling kiss on Justin’s lips, burying his strong fingers into Justin’s hair.  He released his spouse, smoothed down the golden mane then set his sights on Daphne.  Hard hazel eyes read Daphne’s plea for leniency in her own eyes.  Flicking his gaze back to his husband, Justin nodded.  “Daphne, as beautiful as ever,” Brian said without malice.  Then he leaned in to whisper in her ear, “I’d still do you.”  Daphne blushed.

Justin cleared his throat then stood to make the introductions.

“Ladies, allow me to introduce Brian Kinney-Taylor, my husband.  Brian, this is Tiffany.”

Brian leaned across the table to take Tiffany’s hand into his.  “As stunning as your name,” Brian murmured softly, kissing her hand and letting her get a good look at his diamond stud cufflinks.

“Mmm,” Tiffany purred back.

“Gloria Rawlings,” Justin continued.

Brian delicately took her hand, “Mrs. Rawlings, congratulations, that was quite a coup your husband made recently.”  Brian arched a brow, looking very much like the cutthroat businessman he was.

“Most people aren’t aware of my husband’s dealings,” Gloria stated slightly taken aback.

“I’m not most people,” Brian quipped then turned to the next lady who was about to spill out of her dress.

“Ms. June Davis,” Justin made the introduction.

Brian gently shook the red-head’s hand, hoping not to dislodge her breasts from the top of her dress.  “It’s true what they say, June is busting out all over.”  The ladies giggled as Brian got a poke to his ribs from Justin.

“And Veronica Smythe.”

Brian stopped himself from rolling his eyes but couldn’t stop the comment.  “Sunshine, you never told me they brought back the micro mini.”  After a pause, Brian took over the meeting, um, the lunch.  “Ladies, please allow me to get the next round.”  Brian waved his hand in the air.  Several waiters appeared with fluted glasses and two bottles of Cristal.  When everyone at the table had a full glass, Brian offered up a toast.  “To the ladies who lunch!” Brian said sweetly raising his glass.

“The ladies who lunch,” the table repeated then they all clinked glasses.  Brian threw a wink at Daphne who smiled like the seventeen year old Brian remembered.

As the Cristal flowed, the ladies mellowed.   Daphne and Justin began to lean in closer and closer to share secrets.  Brian smiled smugly as he grabbed Justin’s left hand to toy with the wedding ring on Justin’s finger.  Justin squeezed Brian’s hand then flashed him his sunniest smile.  As Brian pretended to be engrossed in what Gloria was saying, he knew the afternoon would all turn out right.  Even if Daphne and Justin never saw each other again, Justin would have his best friend back for at least this one afternoon.


*****


“Gamma, where’s Gus?” Bree asked.  She was curled up next to Joan on the sofa.  They had just finished one of the books they brought from the library.

“I believe he’s still in his room.”

“He’s a big sleepyhead.”

Joan chuckled.  “Yes, I guess he is.”

“I go wake him up,” Bree said squirming to the edge of the sofa.

Joan grabbed her hand.  “I think you should let him sleep, dear.”

“But why?  I want to talk to him.”

“He was up late last night.”

“Oh,” Bree replied.  “Was he with that guy?”

“You mean Cole?”

“Yeah,” Bree said making a face.  “I don’t like Cole.”

“You shouldn’t make hasty judgments, dear,” Joan said softly, remembering all the hasty judgments of her own that she had made over the years.

“What’s a judgment?”

“It’s when you decide something about someone without all the facts.”

“But I have the facts,” Bree declared.  “Cole doesn’t like me and I don’t like him.”

“How do you know he doesn’t like you, Bree?”

“I just know.”  Bree crossed her arms over her chest and pouted.

Joan knew there was little point in arguing with her.  “Why don’t we read another book while we wait for Gus to wake up?”

“’Kay,” Bree said settling back on the sofa.  She would have a talk with her brother later.


*****


Melanie stretched and rolled over.  The bed was empty.  She quickly got up and went downstairs to find Lindsay.

“You finally got up, Mama,” JR told her as she entered the kitchen.

“Yes, I guess I was more tired than I knew,” Melanie replied as she poured herself a cup of coffee.  “Something smells good.”

“I’m making pancakes and bacon,” Lindsay said as she flipped the pancakes.  “These are ready if you want to get the others and the bacon out of the oven.

Melanie was happy to oblige.  Her stomach was screaming for food.  “This looks great,” Mel observed as she sat down at the kitchen table with her family.

“Mom is a good cook,” JR stated.

“Yes, she is,” Melanie agreed.  She looked at Lindsay who seemed to be avoiding her eyes.  “Is everything all right, Lindz?”

“Yes, of course,” Lindsay said quickly.

“Are you tired from all the parties yesterday?”

“A little,” Lindsay admitted.

“That was a lot of fun at Deb’s,” Melanie offered.

“I had a good time,” Lindsay admitted.

“Me too,” JR supplied.

“Better than my party,” Melanie sighed.

JR didn’t know how to answer that, even though she knew she had had a much better time at her Grandma Deb’s.  So she kept quiet.

“Mel…” Lindsay began then abruptly shut her mouth.  She stared at her plate of pancakes and then began cutting them up.  She didn’t know what to say either.  She had so many things she wanted to say, but she knew they would lead to a fight.  That was the last thing she wanted.

“Would you just say it!” Melanie demanded.  Her interest in the pancakes had suddenly disappeared.

“Mel,” Lindsay started again.  She drew in a long breath.  “I had a good time at Deb’s, and I would have had a good time at your party too, if things were different.”

“Different?” Melanie asked raising an eyebrow.

“I … I wish you had thought the party out a little better.  It was no place for JR with all the adults, your business associates and people you were trying to impress.”

“JR wanted to be here,” Melanie declared.

“I did, Mama, but I didn’t know it was going to be that kind of party,” JR said gently.  She didn’t want to make her Mama mad.  “I thought it was going to be a party…party.”

“You mean a party like Bree’s, don’t you?” Mel asked with ice in her voice.

“No, Mama.  That was Bree’s birthday.  I just thought there’d be some games or … something.”


“It wasn’t that kind of party,” Melanie responded.

“My point exactly,” Lindsay added.  “We should never have had JR and Curtis there.  It was good of Michael to take them to the diner.”

“I had fun at the diner,” JR told them with a smile.

“And no fun at my party,” Melanie sighed.

“Sorry, Mama.”

“It’s not your fault, sweetheart,” Lindsay told her.  “We should have realized that it wasn’t a party for children.”

“Do you think the adults had a good time?” Melanie asked with a look of alarm on her face.

“They all said they did, except for Michael and Ted.”

“I didn’t want to invite them in the first place,” Mel retorted.

“You didn’t want to invite daddy?” JR asked her eyes getting very big.

“I … I didn’t think he’d have a very good time,” Melanie tried to explain.

“We should have had a different kind of party or maybe have a cocktail party for your associates and contacts,” Lindsay said.  “Mixing them with family wasn’t such a great idea.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Melanie admitted.  “I was so busy trying to put on a big show, I forgot about the purpose of the party and whether the guests would enjoy it.”

“Thank God,” Lindsay sighed.

“What?”

“You finally got it.”

“Yeah, I guess I did.  But why didn’t you tell me?”

Lindsay stared at her.  “How many times did I tell you things about this party and you refused to listen?” she demanded.

“Well, maybe a few.  I did invite Michael.”

“Yeah, and he was here to rescue the children,” Lindsay said rather uncharitably.

JR giggled and then sat up straight wiping the smile off her face when her mother glared at her.

“Maybe we could have a party for the family sometime,” Melanie suggested.

“That would be nice,” Lindsay agreed as she took a bite of bacon.

“I’d like that, Mama,” JR contributed.

“Maybe for your birthday.”

“And it wouldn’t have to be like Bree’s,” JR said quickly.  She knew that her mother didn’t like the big party Bree had had.

“Thanks, sweetie.  I don’t think I could pull off something like that anyway.”

“That’s okay, Mama.  I’ll love whatever you do.”

Melanie looked at her wise little daughter.  “Have I told you lately how much I love you?”

JR’s face lit up in a beautiful smile.  “I love you too, Mama.”

“Add me to that list,” Lindsay said with her own radiant smile.

“Now that we’ve got that all settled, let’s enjoy this lovely brunch,” Melanie said with her own grin.  She felt much better about her party now, and she filed away for future consideration the things she had just learned.  The pancakes and bacon were suddenly very delicious.


*****


Lunch with the ladies took up most of the afternoon; however, very little actual food was consumed leaving the boys rather hungry by the time they got back to the hotel.  Finding everyone home, the guys changed then ordered up a feast from room service.  The rest of the evening was spent quietly with the Kinney-Taylor family enjoying each other’s company.

Chapter 21 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 21





“Brian, the renovation plans are moving very quickly,” Stacey commented sometime the following week.

Since the tenant had moved out early and relinquished his key, a construction crew had been working nearly non-stop on the renovations of Simon’s real estate office and N’rgy. Simon and his assistant were already moved and it was business as usual. The original door that had once connected the office occupied by N’rgy and Simon’s old office was discovered and restored to its former purpose. Even though Simon and Ken had kept the original turn of the century facade of the outside of their building, the hallways and doors, the inner workings of the N’rgy office were kept as slick and modern as Kinnetik’s ideas.

“Your point?” Brian grumbled as he peered over his computer screen at Stacey.

“My point is that you can go home. You’ve done what you set out to do and I don’t need you under foot anymore. You’re beginning to scare the workmen,” Stacey snarked.

“You were always a pushy bitch,” Brian murmured.

“Yeah, well I learned from the best.” Stacey gave as good as she got. She got the eyebrow then a beautiful Brian Kinney smile. Stacey giggled like a school girl with a crush on her teacher then walked to a closet to retrieve a small bucket. “I have weeds to pull,” she stated as she walked out the door.

About an hour later, Brian joined her.

“You really think you’ve got this executive shit all figured out, don’t you?” Brian asked as he sat on a step that led to the small container garden that Stacey had developed and nurtured just outside the large bay window of the new N’rgy. She had removed her silk blouse leaving just a sleeveless t-shirt. Her hair was pinned up out of the way. She was currently training and securing a blooming vine to the wrought iron fence that surrounded the garden.

“No,” Stacey replied as she stood up to gratefully accept a bottle of water from Brian. “But I know I’m good at what I do or you wouldn’t have stolen me away from Kennedy and Collins. I love my job, I love the hunt, the preparation, the stress of it all and the rewards. I love that N’rgy is innovative and always reinventing itself. I love that I have the expertise of the other branches and of Perspectives at my fingertips. And that any one of you would drop everything if I called to say I needed help. But you’ve done your job. You’ve secured several more high end accounts from companies that wanted that little extra something only Brian Kinney could provide. You’ve growled and scowled at the construction crew ensuring the highest quality results in the least amount of time. You’ve helped me choose several promising execs and artists. Now amscray so I can do my job in peace!”

“I’m hurt, crushed, thrown away like a used condom,” Brian stated dramatically with his hand over his heart. Stacey put down her water bottle to clap her hands.

“An award winning performance, Mr. Kinney, one worthy of Emmett. Now what do you do for an encore?”

“I pack up my shit, do a little more sight-seeing with my family then amscray back to the Pitts where I belong. I told you about John’s Village project?” Stacey nodded. “Emmett and Drew are each opening their own businesses. And my mother will be assisting in a new rare book store. And then there’s a certain princess who’s been bugging me for riding lessons.”

“Sounds like a very busy agenda. Kinnetik doing the publicity for the Village?”

“Yup. Cynthia and Ted have a handle on it,” Brian said proudly.

“Then I won’t keep you.” As Brian stood to go back inside to pack up, Stacey called out to him. “You know I appreciate these last few weeks. You’ve been invaluable to me.”

“I know,” Brian smirked then went inside.

*****

“Cole, I think I’m going home soon,” Gus said sadly. He and Cole were cuddling in a secluded portion of Central Park. It was a quiet haven for young lovers. They had just sucked each other off and were sated for the moment.

“What makes you say that,” Cole growled. This was not fitting into his plans. Somehow he still had to ingratiate himself into the Kinney family to see what it would get him. Gus leaving New York would just not do.

“My Pop wants to go home and the renovation of N’rgy is almost done. There’s no reason for us to stay.”

“Think your father will let you stay behind?” Gus raised his head up from the boulder he was using as a pillow to look at Cole’s face.

“Are you shitting me? Even if he remotely would consider giving me permission, my moms would freak and say no.”

“I thought you were eighteen, that’s legal. And legal does as legal wants.”

“I, uh,” Gus stammered.

Cole knew Gus was younger but wanted to make him sweat a little. “Just how old are you?”

“Sixteen,” Gus mumbled.

“What? I didn’t catch that.”

“Sixteen but I’ll be seventeen in less than two months,” Gus said quickly.

“Shit! I can get in trouble.” Cole feigned a sudden responsibility. “Maybe even arrested.”

“No one has to know. Besides, it’s not like we’re fu-u,” Gus still had trouble saying the ‘f’ word when it came to describing sex. “I’m going to miss you,” Gus said trying to change the subject.

“I’ll miss you too, baby cakes,” Cole said softly, appearing to be in deep contemplation. After some intense kissing and heavy petting, Cole offered a suggestion. “I have a cousin that lives in Pittsburgh, that is where you’re from, right?” Cole asked as if he was unsure.

“Yeah,” Gus cheerfully replied.

“Maybe I could arrange a visit.”

“What about your folks and your job?”

“My parents won’t give shit, and hell, I got vacation time I gotta take. You know, if you don’t use it, you’re gonna lose it.” Cole kept his bullshit thick.

“Yeah,” Gus said innocently. “You could meet my moms and my other sister and Grandma Deb...”

“Whoa, slow down. I’m coming to Pittsburgh to be with you, not to play with more little girls. You want me there or what?” Cole threatened.

“Of course I do!”

“You think you can help me with the money for a plane ticket?” Cole asked as sweetly as he could. Gus thought of the allowance his dad and his mother had given him to last the time he was on vacation.

“No, but maybe I can help with a bus ticket,” Gus said hopefully. Cole did his best not to curse.

“Okay, baby cakes, every little bit helps.” Cole rolled them over so that the taller Gus could lay on top of him. Cole liked to top but Gus looked so much like his father that he fantasized that it was the elder Kinney on top. Cole knew that Brian couldn’t possibly be a bottom.

With just their pants opened up and their shirts hitched up, the boys engaged in frottage to get themselves off. Cole’s hands were on Gus’ ass pushing him down harder. Gus was trying to examine Cole’s tonsils with his tongue. They both came hard.

“Just think how good it’s going to be when we’re both naked and in a bed,” Cole purred when they were able to breathe. ‘And maybe I’ll get Brian Kinney into that bed too,’ he thought.

*****

“What’s up, Curtis?” Raph asked as they sat down to dinner. “You’ve been very quiet since Melanie’s party.”

“Nothing’s up,” Curtis replied as he started to shove the salad around his plate. His eyes were glued to what he was doing.

Raph studied the boy for a moment. He had learned quickly that Curtis got very silent and withdrawn when things weren’t going the way he wanted. Curtis avoided eye contact at all costs. Raph had hoped that they had gotten beyond that kind of reaction, but maybe he was hoping for too much too soon. “I can tell something’s bothering you,” he said gently. “Why don’t you just tell me?”

“It’s stupid,” Curtis mumbled.

“If it’s troubling you, it’s not stupid,” Hector said. He glanced at Raph who gave him a nod to continue. “Both Raph and I want to help you if there’s anything that we can do.”

Curtis looked up then, into troubled eyes from both Raph and Hector. He had never seen that look from anyone since his grandfather died. “I didn’t mean to worry you,” Curtis said. “It’s really stupid.”

“We want to know,” Raph stated trying to encourage Curtis to talk it out.

“It’s about the party,” Curtis said reluctantly.

“Go ahead.”

“It … I …” Curtis began but didn’t know how to continue.

“You can tell us anything,” Raph encouraged him.

“I didn’t belong there. Maybe I don’t belong with you guys either,” Curtis blurted out.

“What?” Raph reacted. “You thought you didn’t belong?” He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“It’s not funny,” Curtis stated growing angry that Raph was laughing at him.

“It’s funny when you realize that I thought the same thing,” Raph laughed.

“What? That I didn’t belong?” Curtis asked with a hurt look in his eyes. He had just had his worst fears confirmed. He didn’t belong at the party and he didn’t belong in this nice home either. He knew it was all too good to be true.

“No, no,” Raph said quickly. “I meant that I didn’t belong there either.”

“You didn’t belong at the party?” Curtis asked with a look of confusion.

“No, I didn’t. I don’t know why Melanie invited me, other than that I have some letters after my name. I think she was trying to impress someone, but I’m not sure who.”

“Then why did she invite me?” Curtis asked.

“You’re part of us now,” Hector said. “I probably would never have been invited either, except that I’m Raph’s partner … and now you’re our foster son. Therefore, you got an invite.”

“Oh!” Curtis reacted. “I liked it much better at the diner.”

“Too bad we couldn’t have joined you,” Hector laughed.

“Michael’s okay. He has a comic book store,” Curtis explained. “He said I could come by some time if I wanted. Would that be all right?”

“I think that would be just fine,” Raph said happily. He could feel that things were starting to get back on an even keel.

“Great,” Curtis said as he took a bite of his salad. Suddenly he felt like eating.

“That’s something else I’ve been meaning to raise with you, Curtis,” Raph continued.

“What’s that?”

“You’ve paid off all your debts. I think it’s time we instituted an allowance for you. Then if you want to go to the comic store, you’ll have some money you can spend there.”

“You … you mean money of my own … that I can spend however I want?”

“That’s exactly what we mean,” Hector said with a big smile.

“That would be great,” Curtis replied enthusiastically.

“Good, then when we’re through eating, let’s talk about a fair sum,” Raph said.

“Anything you want to give me will be fine,” Curtis said quickly. He could hardly believe they were going to give him any money at all. He didn’t want to press his luck.

“You need to learn about the fine art of negotiation,” Raph told him with a gentle laugh. “I think it’s time I started teaching you about that too.”

”Okay,” Curtis agreed quickly. He couldn’t believe his good fortune.

Raph and Hector smiled at each other across the table.

*****

Justin tidied up his work space having finished off a painting just a few minutes before. It was Bree at the beach at Coney Island. He smiled as he glanced over at it. The beach was a perfect theme for summer, and Bree had been so cute chasing the waves in and out. He hadn’t expected to find inspiration for a painting while they were in New York, but this was now one of his favorites. He was tempted to keep it for himself, but he often felt that way about paintings of Brian and Bree and Gus and his mother and... Justin sighed. He needed to learn to let them go.

Justin finished cleaning his brushes. He stowed them safely away and turned to dump the can of dirty cleaning fluid. Before he could do that, there was a knock on his door. He frowned wondering who it could be. Hardly anyone knew he was there. He was careful to keep the door locked while he worked. The only who had been to his studio was Bree. He had painted with her once since they had come to N’York as she liked to call it. Justin smiled, when another knock at the door brought him out of his reverie.

“Who is it?” Justin called out, a little apprehensive about who might be there.

“The big bad wolf!”

“Oh my,” Justin gasped.

“Let me in or I’ll blow this door down.”

“Wouldn’t you rather blow me?” Justin called out, a big smile brightening his face as he realized who was outside the door.

“I would if you’d open this fucking door.”

Justin sauntered over to the door and released the lock. He pulled it open. “Promises, promises,” he chuckled as Brian swept him up into his arms and kissed all over his face. “What’s got into you?” Justin asked as Brian finally set him down.

“How would you like to go home day after tomorrow?”

“I thought you still had a lot to do.”

“It’s mostly done, and Stacey is perfectly capable of handling the rest of it … as she so bluntly informed me today.”

“Told you to get lost, did she?” Justin laughed.

“Pretty much. So, what do you say? Ready to go home?”

“If you are, I’m good to go.”

“I wonder if Joan and Bree will be ready to leave.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about them. It’s Gus that may put up a fight.”

Brian frowned. “Fucking Cole Adams! I don’t trust that little fucker. Something doesn’t ring true.”

“Then maybe it’s a good thing we’re leaving,” Justin said.

“Yeah, I guess. Gus is not going to be happy.”

“You sort of hinted that things were ahead of schedule. I think Gus is smart enough to figure out that we might be leaving soon.”

“I don’t think he was counting on day after tomorrow,” Brian said shaking his head.

“Can we get ready to leave by then?” Justin asked.

“I think so. Hey, that’s a great painting of Bree,” Brian commented as he noticed Justin’s work for the first time.

“Thanks,” Justin replied with a big smile. “I kind of like it too. I was thinking about keeping it.”

“I think that’s a great idea. I love the light you captured in it, and the way Bree looks so little against the water.”

Justin smiled. Brian didn’t give compliments for nothing. What he had just said was absolutely true. Those were the things that Justin loved about the painting too. This one was a definite keeper. “Then all we need to do is find a place to hang it at the cottage.”

“Or the loft,” Brian said thoughtfully.

“The loft?”

“Yeah, I was thinking that I didn’t have a really good picture of Bree there.”

“You were, huh?”

“Yep.”

“So where would you hang it? Beside the naked man?”

“No,” Brian said shaking his head. “I was thinking of placing it in the alcove over the chaise.”

Justin smiled, a fleeting memory of ice cream kisses passing through his head. “I could live with that.”

“Good. Do I have to pay for your services?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“I seem to remember something about blowing me, when you so rudely interrupted my work.”

Brian grinned. “Looks to me like you were finished, and I’m up for a little gratuitous sex.”

“You always are,” Justin giggled.

“Is that a bad thing?” Brian frowned.

“Not at all. Why do you think I’ve kept you around all these years?”

“Because of my great bod and my beautiful cock.”

“True, but there’s also your gigantic heart.”

“Ah, you mean the one I didn’t know I had until you helped me find it?” Brian asked with that crooked little smile that melted Justin’s own heart.

“That would be the one.”

“Only you noticed that I had a fucking heart,” Brian said with a tinge of regret in his voice.

“You were very good at telling everyone what a heartless bastard you were, and they believed all your hype.”

“But you didn’t.”

“Not a word, although that night I came to your loft and you told me you believed in fucking not love, you almost convinced me.”

“Hm, I did, didn’t I? I meant every word. Why weren’t you buying it?”

“I looked in the rearview mirror as I drove away. Even through my tears I could see the look of uncertainty on your face. You just stood there watching me drive away. Somehow I knew that if you didn’t really care about me, you would have walked right back inside to Mr. Goodfuck, or whatever the fuck his name was. But you didn’t, you just stood there, and you looked as forlorn as I felt. I wanted you more than ever.”

“So, that was my big mistake,” Brian said, earning a swat to the chest from Justin.

“Yeah, some mistake!”

“Best one I ever made,” Brian said pulling Justin against him. “Now what were you saying about a blowjob?”

Chapter 22 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Summer in the City

Chapter 22





“Brian, may I make a request before we go?” Joan asked her son quietly after Bree had gone to bed. Justin was reading her a bedtime story.

“Certainly,” Brian replied, a little concerned about the seriousness he heard in his mother’s tone.

“I realize you want to go home the day after tomorrow and I am looking forward to going home too; however, if we don’t have any definite plans for tomorrow, I’d like to see Ellis Island.” Brian blew out the breath he found he was holding then answered.

“Of course. Gus and I saw Ellis Island from the ferry when we went to the Statue of Liberty. We didn’t stop at the island. Did your parents come through there?”

“My mother’s family did. I’d like to see if there’s any record of them.” Brian got up from the sofa to go to his mother’s side. He knelt by her chair.

“We’ll all go. It’ll be a good experience for all of us,” Brian said solemnly. “Maybe tomorrow night we can go to the observation deck of the Empire State building.”

“I can’t think of a better way to end our adventure. And I am so grateful that you brought me along. I am ready to go home and to start my job at the book store, but this time with you and your family. I...I can’t explain how full of love I feel right now.”

Brian choked up a little. Never in his wildest dreams did Brian ever think he’d ever have a real mother. “Mom, it’s our family,” is all Brian could say as he hugged Joan.

*****

“Cole?” Gus whispered into his cell. He was in his room debating whether to call Cole or just leave without saying anything. Gus really liked Cole, even though some of the things Cole wanted Gus to do, bothered him.

“Hey, baby cakes, I was just thinking of you. How about we go to the movies tomorrow? We sit in the balcony and suck face for two hours.”

“I can’t,” Gus said sadly.

“Why?” Cole said through gritted teeth.

“We’re doing this family thing, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, the whole works. We’re heading back to the Pitts the next day.”

“So soon?”

“I told you things were moving fast and when my Pop makes up his mind, there’s no way in hell that he’ll change it. He wants to go home, we go home.”

“The day after tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“Then I guess that’s it.”

“Yeah, that’s it.”

“Bye, Gus.”

“Bye.” Gus snapped his phone shut as he squeezed his eyes closed. A few tears slipped down his cheek.

*****

Brian, Justin, Joan, Gus and Bree stepped through the doors into the main reception hall on Ellis Island. They all stopped just inside the door and looked around taking in the enormity of the place and thinking of what it must have been like for their ancestors who arrived there.

“I bet they were scared,” Gus said as he felt the power of the place. The pictures of immigrants really hit home.

“Many of them couldn’t even speak English. They would have felt so lost,” Joan whispered.

“But they had hope,” Justin said, as they moved forward to look at the life size blow-ups of old photos showing people who had arrived at Ellis Island in the past.

“And we think we have it tough sometimes,” Brian said shaking his head.

“I guess I should be more thankful,” Gus observed.

“We all should,” Brian agreed.

“What’s thankful?” Bree asked, a little bewildered by the comments, and the whole atmosphere in the room. Everything was so big and the people were so quiet.

“It means that we should appreciate what we have, Squirt,” Brian informed his daughter as he scooped her up into his arms. “See these people in the pictures. They were usually very poor and they came from far away to make a good life for themselves and their families here in America.”

“Is that what the Statue means too?” Bree asked studying the pictures more carefully, but thinking about the Statue of Liberty that they had passed on their way to Ellis Island. She thought the clothes of the people looked really funny in the pictures, but the faces seemed nice.

“The Statue of Liberty represents part of what these people were looking for,” Brian told her.

“Why don’t I take Bree upstairs to some of the rooms where they have games and things for children?” Justin asked. He had been reading the signs, trying to figure out the best way to see everything. “You could help your mother look for her family on the computers.”

Brian nodded as he set Bree down. She took Justin’s hand and the two made their way to the stairs.

“Mother, the computers to look for your family are over here,” Brian said pointing her in the direction of the bank of computers set up specifically for that purpose. “What do you want to do?” Brian asked Gus.

“I’d like to find out about our family too,” Gus said. “Besides, Grandma might need me to help her with the computer.”

Brian smiled at his son and ruffled his hair. “Let’s go, Sonny Boy.” They followed Joan across the room.

They spent the next twenty minutes trying to find Joan’s mother’s family. Their name was Reilly, and there were a lot of Reilly’s who had come from Ireland, most of them during the potato famine in the mid 1900’s. Joan’s family was a little later arriving. They finally found what they were sure was her mother’s family. A little girl was listed with them, named Siobhan. That had been Joan’s mother’s name.

“I can’t believe they have all this information in here … and we can get to it so easily,” Joan said with a smile.

“That’s what computers are good for,” Gus told her.

“I’m glad I’m learning about them,” Joan responded. “I begin to see all the possibilities.”

Brian groaned. “Just what we need in the family … another computer nerd.”

Joan and Gus made faces at him and they all laughed at the absurdity of it.

“Let’s go find Bree and Justin,” Brian suggested.

They made their way upstairs, stopping to look in some of the rooms that showed how people were jammed into small spaces sleeping in bunks with no privacy, while they waited to be processed. It was an eye opening experience to see how difficult the entry into the United States of America had been for these people.

They found Justin and Bree playing one of the games where the doctor would make a mark on the sleeve of people as they passed. If you got certain marks, it meant you might be ill, and would be rejected and sent back.

Bree was looking thoughtful as she matched up the symbols.

“How’s she doing?” Brian asked, worried that the place might be a little too intense for their daughter.

“She’s had lots of questions,” Justin said. “She doesn’t understand why everybody couldn’t come into the country.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said. “Can you imagine coming all the way from Ireland or Italy or god knows where, and then being sent back on what seems like the whim of some officious paper pusher?”

“It must have been devastating,” Joan said.

“We’re lucky your mother’s family was accepted,” Gus said.

“Yes, we really were,” Joan agreed.

They spent a little more time looking at the pictures and the artifacts. There was a big display of some of the fancy linens and jewelry and clothing that people had brought with them. Bree noticed the dolls, and wanted to know why they hadn’t gone with the little girl who owned them. Brian and Justin didn’t want to tell her that the little girl might have died or her family had left the things behind because something bad had happened.

“Not all the little girls would be as lucky as you, Bree,” Gus said. “They might have sold their doll to get some money for their family.”

Bree looked thoughtful at that comment. “I’d sell my bunny to help the family,” she professed. “I share.”

“We know you do, sweetheart,” Justin said picking her up and kissing her cheek. “We’re so lucky to have a little girl as generous as you. And a son who is so smart and caring.” He looked over at Gus.

Gus shook his head thinking about some of the sneaking around he had been doing since he met Cole. He resolved to be a better human being in the future.

They left the building with a new understanding of their heritage and a resolution to respect the sacrifices their forebears had made. They would enjoy the privileges they had, and not take them for granted. Their day at Ellis Island had been very informative and affecting for each of them.

Most of the day was spent on the island. They purchased lunch from the snack bar and found a nice shady spot outside to relax and eat. Joan went to the gift shop to purchase a few mementos of their visit and a book about the island for Bree. The book was a little advanced for the five year old but not by much. Joan knew that Briana would soon appreciate it.

After lunch they strolled along the sea wall. Gus took many pictures of the Statue of Liberty and of downtown Manhattan off on the horizon. There would be many happy memories for the Kinney-Taylor family to take home with them. It was late afternoon by the time a cab dropped the family off at the building that was home to N’rgy and the Greene-Mann family.

“So you guys are going home,” Raymond stated softly to Gus as the rest of the family were talking and taking the tour of the newly renovated offices.

“Yeah, Pop’s ready to leave. Stacey and your dad really don’t need him here anymore, so we go. I’m going to miss hanging out with you and Jeff.”

“I’m going to miss you too. We, um, never got the chance to...”

“Yeah, I know.”

“What about Cole?” Ray asked and Gus merely shrugged his shoulders. They both stood quietly, just contemplating their sneakers when Justin’s voice broke the silence.

“Hey, buddy, we’re going!”

Gus and Ray stood close and gazed into each other’s eyes.

“I wish...” Gus began.

“Yeah, me too,” Raymond replied. As Gus turned to leave, Ray grabbed Gus to turn him around. Standing up on his toes, Ray planted a sloppy kiss onto Gus’ lips. “You know we don’t live all that far away and our dads like visiting and maybe I can come to Pittsburgh sometime,” Ray said with a smile.

Gus’ face busted into a bright smile. “Yeah! Yeah! Maybe I can ask Pop if you can come in August.”

“Yeah!” both boys said together then laughed. They hugged, shook hands , kissed and high-fived (not necessarily in that order) and felt a hell of a lot better than they did ten minutes prior.

“Break it up, you faggetts!” Jeffrey snarked as he strode into the room. “Your Pop has already invited us to stay with you in August at the cottage. Said something about a farm, riding lessons and smelling like horse. Your dad’s weird, you know that?” Jeff said with a smirk.

“Yeah, I know and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Bye, guys. I’ll text you with the details.”

“Bye, Gus,” the brothers said. With that, the Kinney-Taylors took their leave of Kinnetik N’rgy.

*****

After a ride up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, the Kinney-Taylor family decided to have dinner at the building’s restaurant. It was a micro brewery, where Brian and Justin found unique and tasty beers to try. The simple but hearty fare on the menu satisfied them all. As Joan had said, it was a wonderful way to end their New York adventure.

Later that night after a marathon session of packing and organizing of souvenirs and gifts, the family was finally ready for bed. Brian checked in with Cynthia regarding Kinnetik and phoned Lindsay regarding the slight change in plans. Then Brian called Emmett and John to get an update regarding the Village. They had missed ‘Emmett’s Place Too’ grand opening but would be back in time for Drew’s launching of his sports boutique, ‘For Men and Women of Iron.’ Drew's boutique had been ready to launch first but then he was contacted by many of his former teammates. It seemed that they caught wind that a portion of the proceeds from Drew's store would go to the Jason Kemp Center and the new free clinic that was a part of the Village. So Emmett decided to have his grand opening first to allow the football players time to rearrange their schedules.

“Bri,” Justin murmured into his spouse’s ear. Brian was propped up against his pillow reading his latest trade journal.

“Hmm,” Brian grunted.

“This is our last night here in the Big Apple,” Justin purred.

“Mmm,” Brian responded then turned to look into Justin’s eyes. “You want to go dancing or something?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“Yeah,” Justin said mischievously. “Or something,” Justin said with a laugh then dove under the blankets to dance with Brian under the sheets.

*****

“Dada?” Bree was watching her dada gather up all the bags to place them near the door for the bellman. She was sitting on the sofa well out of the way of the bustle.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“When are we going?”

“Soon,” Brian said as he brought Joan’s bag to the pile.

“Oh. Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt?”

“What about all the books we borrowed from the li-berry?”

“Gamma Joan has them all together; we’ll drop them off on our way.”

“Oh. Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Can we have Coney Island hot dogs for lunch?” Brian stopped in his tracks. Justin, Joan and Gus stopped what they were doing to hear Brian’s reply. “Can we?” Bree asked hopefully. Brian closed his eyes then nodded, yes. “Yay!” Bree squealed with delight, Brian groaned softly to himself.

“You big Smoosh,” Justin said as he kissed Brian then they continued clearing out their suite.

The sun was setting by the time the Kinney-Taylor family drove into Pittsburgh.

*****

“Helloooo!” Emmett sashayed his way into Brian’s office at Kinnetik.

The family had been home for two weeks and life was returning to normal. Joan was settling into her new job at the bookstore. Justin was finishing up with his Seasons paintings. Sidney was planning the formal opening for September. Bree, Ashley and the rest of the ‘riding club’ had their schedule of lessons all planned out. And the painting of Bree running through the Coney Island surf was hung in a place of honor at the loft. Everyone was happy to be home, all except for Gus. He seemed to leave a piece of himself in old New York.

“I knew it was too good to last,” Brian grumbled as he peered over his computer screen.

“What was too good to last?” Emmett asked innocently.

“The quiet. I got used to no nelly bottom queens getting in my way.”

“Oh pooh,” Emmett stated nonplussed, as he shoved some things aside on Brian’s desk then planted his nelly bottom on it. “You coming to Drew’s event later today?”

“I always come, you know that,” Brian snarked as he glared at Emmett’s audacity.

“This is a big thing for him. Some of his former teammates are coming too.”

“I can only imagine.”

Emmett smacked Brian’s arm. “You know what I mean. And they’re going to sign autographs. I’d really like for all our family to be there.” Emmett batted his eyelashes at Brian.

“Don’t you have events to plan, you big fairy? Get out of my office,” Brian said as he pushed Emmett’s ass off his desk. As Emmett walked to the door he heard Brian call out. “We’ll be there with bells on.” Brian didn’t see Emmett’s all knowing grin.

*****

“Hey, Gus! When did you get back?” Curtis asked as he stood in line to get autographs from some current and former Ironmen.

“A couple of weeks ago,” Gus said glumly.

“What’s up with you? You look like you lost your best friend or something,” Curtis noted.

“Something like that,” Gus mumbled then gently pushed Curtis forward on the line. “You better pay attention or you’ll lose your place.”

“Yeah, thanks. I’ll see you later,” Curtis said as he moved closer to the beginning of the line.

“Yeah,” Gus murmured. He didn’t care about autographs but he couldn’t disappoint his Auntie Emm and not show up, no matter how miserable he felt. Gus watched for a while, took a bunch of pictures like his dad wanted then walked toward the garden that adorned the back of the apartment building near the bookstore. Gus loved this garden. Finding a bench shaded by an arbor, Gus sat fully prepared to wallow in self pity.

“Hey baby cakes! Ya miss me?” a familiar voice asked.

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=992