Nuff Rope by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Give someone enough rope and....

Story #48 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 48688 Read: 14022 Published: Aug 14, 2018 Updated: Aug 14, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Nuff Rope

Chapter 1





“Pleeeez, Gus,” Bree begged.

Gus and Ray, along with Beau were supervising an afternoon at the stream. Patrick and Bree had been splashing around cooling off in the shallows while Ray and Gus set up a blanket and a picnic basket lunch. They were munching on typical picnic fare when Bree asked her brother for a very big favor.

“Bree, I think you should talk to dad about this,” Gus said reasonably.

“But he might say no,” Bree pouted.

“You won’t know that until you ask him.”

“He doesn’t want me to go. He thinks I’m too little.”

“No he doesn’t, but you are his little girl and he’s afraid that he’ll miss you too much.”

“Dada’s not afraid of anything,” Bree protested.

“Most of the time you’re right, but this time I know I’m right. Pop’s afraid that you’re growing up too fast and you won’t need him anymore.”

“But he’s my Dada. I always need my Dada.”

“Then let him know that and tell him why you want to go to sleep away camp,” Gus said forcefully.

“Okay,” Bree said softly as if given a death sentence. “But you’ll talk to him, right? Pleeeez!” Bree begged, her Taylor blue eyes flashing at him.

Gus groaned. No Kinney could resist Taylor eyes. “I’ll talk to him,” Gus said with resignation.

“Pushover,” Ray whispered as he knocked shoulders with Gus. All Gus could do was nod.



*****



“Do you approve of the arrangements?” Lindsay asked Justin. Justin, Lindsay and Sidney were touring the gallery hoping for approval from Justin. His “Then and Now” show would open mid August and run throughout September when the “Emerging Artists” show would then open. Sidney and Lindsay were planning on several small sneak preview shows before the official opening to the public but they needed Justin’s approval.

“I like it,” Justin said with a nod as he tweaked a slightly skewed sketch. “I like how the groupings are arranged by years.”

“Well, this show is all about your progression, my boy. It should be in chronological order,” Sidney declared with his usual flair.

“I hope people get it,” Lindsay mumbled.

“Excuse me?!” both Justin and Sidney asked at the same time then glared at her.

“I’m sorry,” Lindsay quickly apologized with a quivering lower lip then she ran off toward the office.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked Sidney who was looking rather embarrassed.

“I think the partnership of Lindsay and Melanie has finally come to its long overdue demise.”

“I knew they were having trouble, again, but I didn’t think it was that bad,” Justin admitted.

“It’s bad. Lindsay confided that Mel had gotten an offer to partner in a law firm in Portland...Oregon.”

“You’re kidding?”

“No, all fact, my lad. The lady in question sent a fax to Lindsay when she arrived in Portland, just letting Lindsay know how to contact her.”

“Melanie notified Lindsay via fax? That’s cold.”

“Frigid, more like it. Needless to say, our Miss Lindsay has not been on the top of her game lately. I wish there was something I could do but...”

“There’s nothing anyone can do. She has to get over this on her own.”

“Unfortunately, I must agree. Now, back to the business at hand. Do you like the brochure?”



*****



“This is an interesting arrangement,” Todd commented as he perused a rough sketch Brian handed him. “It reminds me of waves on the ocean.”

“That’s what I had in mind,” Brian confirmed.

“Why?” Todd asked.

“Not sure. I get a ‘shore’ feeling when I look around the grounds,” Brian explained. Todd looked around the somewhat demure estate of the local mayor and agreed.

Word spread fast in the local ‘communities’ about the not so hostile takeover of the garden center. And when the residents learned of who was in charge, so to speak, many clambered in to have their gardens revamped, including the mayor’s wife.

Living nowhere near the shore, somewhere between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, the mayor’s wife decided to create that beach feeling in her home. Much to the mayor’s chagrin, his home was filled with kitschy pieces of driftwood and large conch shells that were overflowing with his wife’s ‘treasures.’ And since his wife of thirty something years had no other irritating habits and was his biggest supporter, the mayor indulged his wife’s beach motif.

“Neptune?” Todd asked incredulously as he studied the sketch. “A bit over the top, no pun intended,” Todd commented with a smirk.

“I have my moments,” Brian retorted. “He can stand guard in that corner,” Brian pointed to a plot overgrown with weeds in an unused portion of the yard. “Maybe a low fountain bubbling around him; have it light up at night. Fill the pond with shells and the mayor’s wife will love you for it.”

“You’re insane but I like it. And knowing the number one citizen of their fair town put his two cents in will put you in the mayor’s good books.”

“I don’t give a shit if I’m in anyone’s good books!” Brian protested.

“Yeah, right,” Todd said indulgently. “Let’s go see if Mrs. Mayor likes Neptune. If she approves, I’ll have my crew start this afternoon. We can have this garden looking like the Jersey shore in no time,” Todd laughed. Brian smirked.

“Did Hunter send you any of his kids?” Brian asked as they strolled back to the house.

“A few. None of them with happy beginnings. One young woman was horribly abused.”

“Then lets hope for happier endings,” Brian murmured, Todd agreed as they entered the house.



*****



“Any good news in that paper?” Danny asked as he handed Riley a fresh cup of coffee. Riley was visiting Danny’s book store, relishing in the quiet homey atmosphere of the upper loft as he read the newspaper. Joan was happily tending to a customer down below.

“Not really, same crap, different day. However, the Bloom Gallery announced their new shows. I see Justin will be exhibiting. I caught a glimpse of him happily painting away in the sun porch. He truly loves his art.”

“Yes, he does. And from what I’ve read and was told by members of the family, Justin’s ability to produce his art is just short of a minor miracle,” Danny said as he sat down next to Riley, peeking over his arm to look at the advert.

“Well then, thank the Lord for minor miracles.”

“Mmm,” Danny agreed and then after a moment, he asked Riley if he wanted to go to lunch.

“Are you asking me on a date?” Riley said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Maybe, if I thought my offer would be accepted.”

“Accepted,” Riley said with a smile.

“Good,” Danny said brightly. “Shall we?” he asked as he offered his arm. Riley laughed.

“Sure,” Riley said taking Danny’s arm. They walked downstairs to the main floor together.



*****



“Hi, Simon,” John said into the phone.

“John, I hear we might be seeing you and Bobby soon?” Simon replied.

“Bobby told me about his chat with Ken. I think we could each use a few days away.”

“Couples can always use a break from routine. It helps to kindle the romance.”

“Is that right?” John said with a laugh. “I hadn’t thought of it in quite those terms.”

“Well, you should. Romance the dickens out of your lover,” Simon advised.

“I’m not exactly sure how one would do that, but I can give it a shot,” John laughed.

“Definitely do that.”

John chuckled. “I’ll do my best.”

“Now that I’ve given you the full extent of my romantic advice, was there anything else I could do for you?” Simon asked.

“I’ve been thinking about when we could make this trip. Patrick goes to baseball camp the end of the month. That’s when Gus and Ray are coming to New York. If we drove up then, we could bring the boys and their baggage.”

“That would save us a penny or two on the airfare,” Simon agreed.

“And knowing Gus, he’ll want a ton of clothes for his debut at N’Ergy.”

“True.”

“So, you agree with this plan?”

“Totally. Did you and Bobby want to stay with us?”

“Now how romantic would that be?” John asked tongue in cheek.

“I’ll have you know Kenneth and I are very romantic.”

John chuckled at the reaction. “Goes without saying. But we don’t want to impose, especially since the boys are going to be staying with you. I was wondering if you could recommend a nice small hotel or B&B that would fill the romantic bill.”

Simon smiled to himself. “That I can.” He began clicking links on his computer. He was pretty sure he knew the perfect place for John and Bobby to stay.



*****



“Bree, you have mail,” Justin called to his daughter as he brought in the mail of the day.

“I do?” Bree asked.

“Yes, all the way from England, if the postmark is to be believed.”

“Wow!” Bree said. “It must be from Hudson.”

“I think you’re right,” Justin said. “Look at the stamp. It’s different than the ones we have here.”

“Is that Westminster Abbey?” Bree asked as she studied the stamp.

“I believe you’re right,” Justin said in amazement. “You remember it?”

“Sure, Daddy. It was a big place.”

Justin chuckled. “Yes it was.”

“Who’s that?” Bree asked pointing to the picture of a man beside the famous church.

“That would be King Charles the third.”

“The third?”

“There were two other British kings named Charles,” Justin explained.

“Oh. Can you be a king, Daddy?”

Justin laughed. “No, I don’t think that’s in the cards. Queen maybe.”

“Huh?” Bree said.

“Nothing, sweetheart. Are you going to open your mail?”

“Oh, yeah,” Bree replied. Justin handed her a letter opener, and Bree carefully slit the top of the envelope just as she had seen her fathers do many times. She made sure she didn’t rip the stamp. She pulled the paper out of the envelope and carefully unfolded it. “I can’t read it, Daddy. Hudson writes funny.”

Justin smiled as he took the paper from Bree. “Yes, she does.” Very small and cramped writing greeted him as he skimmed the page.

“Read it to me, Daddy.”

“I’ll try,” Justin said squinting at the unusual handwriting. He began to read.

Dearest Briana,

It was lovely to get your letter. In this day and age very few people take the time to write an actual letter, but I always find it exciting to get a one in the post. I appreciated that you had written, or printed, the letter yourself. You have a very good hand for someone your age.

“What does that mean?” Bree asked with a frown.

“It means that she thinks you print very neatly.”

“I do. My teacher tells me that all the time,” Bree stated.

“Must be the practice you and your father do.” Bree nodded in agreement.

I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in London. It would be lovely to see you and your family again. I hope you have a chance to come to London again some time soon.

Thank you for making the effort to send me your thank you note. It is much appreciated. I am so glad your fathers make you porridge. It sticks to your ribs in the wintertime. It’s also nice to know you like mine best.

Regards, Hudson

“You like Hudson’s porridge better than mine?” Justin asked.

Bree frowned. She knew she did, but she didn’t want to hurt her father’s feelings. Thinking for a moment, she said, “Hudson’s had more practice making porridge than you, Daddy.”

“Yes, I guess she has,” Justin said with a gentle smile. His daughter had developed a lovely way of telling the truth without hurting anyone’s feelings. He wondered if that was a combination of Brian’s honesty and his own gentle spirit. He hoped that was the case.

“I want to write another letter,” Bree stated.

“To Hudson?”

“No, to Mr. Riley. I want to thank him for fixing my piano. He said he really likes to get letters from people when he tunes their pianos.”

“Then by all means you should write to him.”

“Will you make the envelope for me?” Bree asked batting her eyes at her father.

“Of course I will.”

“Good. I’m going to use the same station stuff I used for Hudson.”

“That would be stationery, and I think that’s an excellent idea.”

“Will you help me if I can’t spell a word?”

“You got it,” Justin said smiling fondly at her. She ran out to the sun porch to her work table to find her paper and pencil.



*****



When the family sat down to dinner some time later, everyone was in a good mood. John informed the boys about the planned trip to New York, and about the plan for him and Bobby to take the boys with them. They spent some time discussing the right date to leave and how everything would be arranged.

Justin noted that Brian was very quiet during all of this. He raised an eyebrow when the trip was first mentioned, and then he said very little after that. Bree and Patrick were kind of left out of the conversation too.

Finally Bree wanted some attention as everyone was finishing their meal. “Dada, I have something to show you,” she stated.

“And what might that be, Squirt?”

“It’s over here.” She ran to her work table and returned with her letter to Riley. She handed it to her father.

Brian scanned the printed letters on the page. He smiled approvingly at his daughter.

“Read it to us,” Bobby requested wondering what Bree had written.

“This is a letter to Riley,” Brian began. He read:

Dear Mr. Riley,

My piano sounds real good. I met the lady who is going to teach me to play it. She gave me some scales to practise, because I’m not going to start the lessons until camp is done. I miss you. Come visit me soon.

Love, Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor

Brian beamed with pride. “That’s not bad, Bree. I think Riley will be pleased to get it.”

“Me too,” Bree concurred.

“You spelled everything perfectly.”

“Daddy helped me.”

“Except for real which should be really. You always did have trouble with your adverbs, Sunshine.”

“Did not!” Justin retorted. “I left it that way so it would sound like our daughter was talking to Riley in her own voice.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “I bet.”

“You doubt me?”

“Never,” Brian quickly replied.

“Good answer.”

“Are you proud of me, Dada?” Bree asked batting those Taylor lashes at her father.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Am I a big girl now?”

“Yes,” Brian admitted with a frown. He had a sinking feeling this wasn’t going to go where he wanted it to.

“I can do lots of big girl things?”

“I suppose,” Brian said slowly. He sensed this was leading up to something he wasn’t going to like.

“Then I want to go to sleep away camp for soccer,” Bree declared.

Everyone stared at Brian and held their breath as they waited for the explosion.



*****



“Are you okay?” Justin asked. He walked over to Brian and ran his hand up and down Brian’s arm.

Brian was standing at one of the windows of the sun porch. He had been thinking about the children going away to camp, and Gus going to New York and John and Bobby going away together. Everyone was leaving him. He stared out at the sun which was starting to set. His gardens looked beautiful in the early evening light, but they didn’t make him feel any better.

“Yeah,” Brian finally said.

“You don’t sound so great.”

“I didn’t scream or holler and I didn’t bite Bree’s head off. I didn’t lock her in her room either,” Brian said in his own defense.

“True, but you’re not happy.”

“I don’t want her to go.”

“I know and she knows, but she’s growing up, Brian. You have to let her experience things.”

“That’s what you all said when she dropped her bombshell. How long has she been lobbying to get everyone on her side?”

Justin smiled. “A while,” he admitted.

“I thought so. But she’s younger than Patrick, and this will be his first time away from home for camp.”

“Bree can handle herself. Think about how she was with Winona. She’s an amazing little girl.”

“She’s our little girl and I don’t want anything to happen to her,” Brian said in a whisper.

“What’s going to happen? She’ll come back knowing some soccer moves than you do,” Justin teased.

Brian snorted. “There are cruel people out in the big, bad world.”

“Unfortunately that’s true, but we can’t protect her forever.”

“I want to.”

Justin shook his head. “I know you do. I wish we could. Are you going to let her go?”

“I don’t think I can,” Brian admitted.

“Think about it, and don’t make any hasty decisions.”

“When do I make hasty decisions?”

“Like … every day,” Justin laughed.

“I don’t know if I can let her go, Justin.”

“At least you didn’t say no immediately, so give it some more thought.”

“You think she should go, don’t you?”

Justin nodded his head before leaving Brian to the study of his gardens at sunset. Maybe his husband would find the right answer in the glory of his flowers.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 2






“Shit fuck!” Todd cursed out loud at the 25-pound pile of manure that had unceremoniously dumped itself onto his work boots via a torn bag.

Todd was desperately trying to prove himself to Brian, his new crew of landscapers and most of all to himself. The smaller projects he had been taking on had all gone well. However, this project for the mayor’s wife was bringing him daily nightmares. Nothing seemed to be going right. The white annuals weren’t white enough, the red too red. And the for shit clay packed soil was plaguing him. If it wasn’t Brian Kinney backing him, Todd would have pulled out long ago.

“Having trouble, are we,” Brian stated, startling Todd when Brian seemed to appear out of thin air.

“You could say that,” Todd said with a sigh looking down at his manure covered boots.

“What seems to be the problem? Other than you standing in a mound of cow shit, I mean,” Brian asked as he handed Todd a large bottle of water. Todd took a long drink, gathering his thoughts together in a logical manner before answering.

“Everything.”

“Care to be a little more specific?” Brian snarked with an arched eyebrow.

“The soil is more clay and rocks than dirt. We have to remove about three feet of this crap before we can get to any good stuff. We’ll have to bring in a ton more of good topsoil before we can start any serious planting, which will increase the overall cost of the project. Not to mention that the missus is about to change the colors of the plants. If she does that the whole shore effect will dramatically change.”

“Okay, I get it. Mrs. Mayor is not your favorite person at the moment. However, she is our client so why don’t you step out of the cow pie, have your crew arrange the plants in the scheme we’ve worked out and leave the lady to me. I have some experience with finicky clients. If I distract her for thirty minutes will that give you enough time to arrange the plants?”

“If we work fast, it will.”

“Then I suggest you work fast,” Brian strongly suggested as he sauntered to the house to schmooze the mayor’s wife. Todd stared at Brian’s retreating ass, um, back for a second then quickly gathered his crew.



*****



“Are you sure it’s safe for you to be doing that?” Leda asked Jamie who was sitting on a scaffold applying her special homemade paper to a large canvas. Jamie had decided to create one large canvas rather than several smaller pieces for her entry to the Emerging Artists show. She had discussed her project with Lindsay and Sidney who were both in agreement and preparing to set aside a large wall just for Jamie.

“I’m sure,” Jamie answered curtly. She was concentrating on the precise placement of her bits of dyed paper and her overly protective lover was not making things any easier for her.

“Jamie, I don’t think being ten feet off the ground is the best place for a woman in your condition,” Leda growled.

“Leda, I love you but right now where I am IS the best place for me to be.”

“Can’t you put the canvas on the floor and work from there?’

“And how would I access the middle of the piece without stepping on it. Should I hang from a bungee cord from the rafters? Leda, I’ve always worked like this. I appreciate your concern but go invent a new scooter with a sidecar to hold the baby, will ya? I really need to work.”

Jamie heard Leda sigh.

“You’re sure.”

“I’m sure.”

“I love you,” Leda said.

“I love you too, now go, and I want pizza with anchovies and feta cheese for dinner.”

“Eiw,” Leda grumbled shaking her head as she left Jamie’s studio. Jamie smiled then got back to her canvas.



*****



“Joan, are you sure you don’t mind me leaving early tonight,” Danny asked. He and Riley had an official date for the evening. Danny wanted to go home for a little extra self pampering in preparation for his date.

“Danny, for heaven’s sake, it’s not like I haven’t closed up before. And I’ll have Gordon pick me up when he and Betsie go to the bank. Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. Go, have a great time. I think Riley is a very nice man, and so are you. You both deserve a pleasant evening out.”

“If you’re sure.” Danny was looking pensive

“I’m sure. Danny, what’s wrong? You look as nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory.”

“It’s been a long time since I’ve been a-courtin’.”

“Would you like some advice?” Joan said trying to hide her smirk.

“Yes, please,” Danny said with a sigh. He felt he was in need of a lot of advice.

“Be on time. Go to the door; do not honk from the curb. Be polite. Hold the door open for him. And hold out his chair at the restaurant. Be attentive and don’t order anything too saucy or spicy. Walk him to his door, shake hands good night and you may peck his cheek,” Joan advised with a straight face.

Danny stared incredulously at her. “You have got to be kidding me!”

“Yes, I am. Danny, you are a sweet, intelligent, worldly man. Just relax and have fun,” Joan said as she pushed him toward the door

“Have fun, she says,” Danny grumbled as he reluctantly walked to the door.

“Yes, fun! And remember, use a condom!” Joan chuckled as Danny turned beet red.

“We’ve created a monster,” Joan heard Danny say as he left the shop.



*****



“May I help you?” Justin asked a Goth looking teen as she came into the gallery. Justin was spending his days at the gallery as they continued to prepare for his new show. Sidney and Lindsay had some business to do in the office leaving Justin to supervise the work. The gallery was technically closed for a few more hours. He and the workmen were the only ones in the gallery.

“I wasn’t touching anything,” the girl said quickly.

“Didn’t say you were, but we’re closed until six tonight,” Justin explained.

“Oh,” the girl looked disappointed. “But the door was open,” she added.

“Yes, well we’ve been moving things around a lot.”

“Oh. I guess I should go,” the girl said hesitantly.

“Did you come here to see something in particular or did you have an appointment with Ms. Peterson or Mr. Bloom?” Justin saw a sketch pad sticking out of the girls’ messenger bag and thought maybe she was an artist in the making.

“No, not really, but I heard there’s a permanent Rage exhibit on display. I thought I’d take a look at it.”

“You like Rage?” Justin asked. It was obvious that the young lady hadn’t recognized him yet. Justin was wearing an old t-shirt and jeans knowing he was going to be shifting displays for most of the day. His attire and his dust smudged face made Justin look like the other workmen.

“I love it but my father doesn’t approve.”

“I know what you mean.”

“Your father doesn’t like it either?”

“My father has never approved of Rage or anything else I like,” Justin answered honestly. “Come on, I’ll take you to Rage.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want you to get into trouble.” The girl assumed Justin worked at the gallery as a handyman.

“Don’t worry,” Justin whispered with a wink. “I know the owner.” Justin smiled as he led her to the Rage section of the gallery. “I’m Justin, by the way,” Justin said as he held out his hand.

“Cassandra but my friends call me Candy.”

“Well, Candy, nice to meet a fellow Rage fan. Follow me.”

“Wow, Sateeena and Zephyr,” she said eying the posters. “Is it true that a girl is the main artist now?” Candy asked in awe as she took a step closer to the displays.

“Yes, it is. Lacy is her name. She took over as the primary artist a few years ago.”

“Somebody told me that she’s a waitress at the Liberty Diner. I don’t believe it ‘cause how can a famous artist work at a diner.”

“What’s wrong with working at the diner? The tips were great.”

“You worked there?”

“Sure. So did Hunter, he runs the Jason Kemp Center, and Lacy was a waitress before she bought the place from the owner, so now she’s the boss. Lots of people have worked there.”

“Wow,” Candy said again. “Hey, wait a minute,” Candy said as she stared at the life sized poster of Rage holding JT in his arms from the wedding issue. She took a sharp intake of air as she spun around to see Justin smiling brightly at her. “Oh my God, you’re JT!”

“Guilty as charged but my friends call me Justin.”

“You must think I’m really stupid,” Candy mumbled. Embarrassed, she looked down at her platform boots.

“Hey, it’s okay. I don’t go around carrying a JT name tag stuck to my chest.”

“Did you really work at the diner?’

“Yup. When my father found out I was gay he threw me out. I had to make a living some way.” Candy nodded. “Are you okay? You look kinda sad.”

“I...me and my mom just moved back to Pittsburgh. She’s been sick so she thought maybe my father could help out. You know, with money and stuff, but my father didn’t know that he was my father and he...”

“I get it. I’m sorry. You like to draw?” Justin asked indicating the pad in her bag, trying to redirect the conversation.

“Yeah, I love to draw but I don’t think I’ll ever be as good as you or Lacy.” She patted her bag without thinking.

“Why don’t you let me be the judge of that? Can I see your sketchbook?” Justin said sweetly batting his eyes at her. Candy giggled as she took the pad out of her bag. “I always carry a sketch pad with me.”

“You do?”

“Uh huh, always. You never know when something will inspire you to draw. It doesn’t have to be anything big or very important. I once spent hours drawing an old shirt of mine that was hanging up on the back of my door. I can spend hours drawing my partner.”

“Is Rage real?” Candy leaned in and whispered.

“He’s real,” Justin laughed. “He’s my partner,” he whispered back. “A day doesn’t go by that I don’t draw him.”

Justin led Candy to the set of steps that separated one room from another. He sat so he could look through her book. Candy sat next to him. “These are real good.” The sketches were typical still-life portraits of scenes around Liberty Ave. A bench, a fire hydrant, the one of a lamppost made Justin smile.

“You really think I’m good?”

“Yes, I do. In fact I think you’re good enough to be included in our Emerging Artists show.”

“Oh no, I couldn’t. I’m not that good. Besides, I don’t think my parents would approve.”

“Why? If you want I could talk to them or I can ask Sidney to send a special invitation to your parents. The show isn’t until September so you have about six weeks to get ready for it and work on your parents. I can’t see why they’d have a problem with it.”

“I don’t think my mom would mind. As long as it doesn’t interfere with my summer job, I guess it’ll be okay.”

“Where do you work?”

“At the Big Q. I’m not old enough to be cashier but I can clean up the toy aisle and stuff. I work part time, you know, to help.”

“I know.” They sat quietly for a few minutes. Candy took her sketchpad back from Justin and shoved it back in her bag. “I gotta go. Thank you for showing me the Rage stuff,” Candy said as she stood to go.

“You’re very welcome. And I mean it, Candy; I think you have a lot of talent. It would be a real shame to waste it. I’m going to be spending a lot of time here for the next two months, and do you know the Comic Book store?” Candy nodded. “Well, my partner’s best friend owns it, so if you need to get in touch with me you can go there. Michael will call me. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“And keep drawing.”

“Okay.”

“Let me walk you out. It was very nice meeting you,” Justin said as he stuck out his hand.

“Nice meeting you too,” Candy replied as she shook Justin’s hand. “Bye.”

“Bye,” Justin said as he shut the door behind her.

He smiled to himself remembering what it was like wanting to be good enough to have his work in a show. He walked back to where the sketch of Brian in all his naked glory was hanging. Next to it was the modern representation of the same sketch.

“Has he changed much?” Lindsay asked as she approached him.

“No, he hasn’t, but then I’m biased. He’ll never change in my eyes. He’ll always be young and beautiful.”

“Spoken like someone in love,” Lindsay smiled weakly.

“I am. Lindsay, I’m sorry things aren’t working between you and Mel,” Justin said gently as he turned to face her.

“It’s okay.”

“No, it isn’t. You’ll let us know if we can help in any way.”

“I will. But I don’t think that even the great Brian fucking Kinney can fix this,” Lindsay said as they both turned back to Brian’s portrait.



*****



“So, Mrs. Mayor,” Brian said to the middle aged woman beside him. “What do you think of your magnificent gardens now?”

“Magnificent?” she asked. The mayor’s wife looked around at what the landscapers had done. She hadn’t thought of them as magnificent. But she had to admit that it was wonderful to hear someone call them magnificent. However, she would have liked darker red flowers. “It’s very … nice,” she said.

Brian bit back a retort. “Just nice?” he asked. “I guarantee that the next time you invite your garden club over they will be raving about what miracles you have created out here.”

“Miracles?”

“Definitely miracles,” Brian assured her.

Mrs. Mayor thought about that. She would be very pleased to have people think she had created miracles with the gardens at the mayor’s house. She didn’t belong to a garden club, but maybe she should. She had to admit that the landscapers had transformed the mediocre garden into something quite beautiful. Perhaps she should contact the horticultural society. This could prove to be a feather in her cap, and by proxy a feather in her husband’s cap as well. “I wish the red flowers were a little more powerful,” she felt compelled to add.

Brian shook his head imperceptibly. “That is a very perceptive comment,” he said keeping his temper in check. If this had been Kinnetik, somebody would have been fired. But this was a client of his company, his and Todd’s company.

“Why, thank you, Mr. Kinney,” the mayor’s wife said, her hand fluttering to the neck of her cotton shirt.

“If you can wait to call in the garden club for about two weeks, you will have a mass of red when all these buds pop.” Brian held up a stalk to show the woman the buds he was referring to. “It will look magnificent.” How many times am I going to say that fucking word, he wondered to himself.

“Why, of course, I should have realized.”

“It always takes a week or two for plants to look their best after transplanting.”

“Yes, of course,” Mrs. Mayor replied with a big smile. “I think this is going to be just perfect. I’m sure you’ll get lots more business from this project. Good day, Mr. Kinney, I have some calls to make.” Mrs. Mayor hurried off to the house.

“What the fuck did you say to that old battleaxe?” Todd asked as he joined Brian. He had heard the end of the conversation.

“A little flattery, a little bullshit and some facts,” Brian replied. “I’m not in advertising for nothing.”

Todd laughed. “You certainly know how to get results.”

“Mrs. Mayor is going to be recommending us to her friends. Get ready for a ton more business.”

“A ton … more?” Todd asked with a sinking feeling. He was barely keeping his head above water with what he was doing now.

“This garden is as good as ten ads in the local papers,” Brian averred.

Todd felt his stomach clench. He wondered if he’d be able to handle all that was coming at him. He wanted to succeed, but this was getting too big too fast. “Brian, I…”

“You’re not having second thoughts about our partnership, are you?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Me? No! Never,” Todd lied. He hoped he could make all this happen. He prayed to all the gods and goddesses of horticulture and business that he could make it happen.

“Great! Then my work here is done.”

Todd watched Brian walk away. He found it hard to swallow.



*****



“Great dinner,” Gus said as he cleaned his plate.

“Thanks,” Bobby said. It had been his turn to cook.

“I’ll miss your cooking when I go home,” Ray said.

“Your dads won’t be pleased to hear that,” Brian said with a smirk.

“My dads’ cooking is fine. It’s just nice to have something different,” Ray said, trying to defend his dads.

“Are you ready to go home?” Justin asked sensing a little homesickness in the sound of Ray’s voice.

“Yeah, I think I am,” Ray admitted. They would be leaving in a few days for New York. “Don’t get me wrong,” he added. “I’ve really enjoyed it here. And working with you has been great, Bobby, but I’m ready to go home.”

Bobby nodded and all the adults looked at each other. They would miss the two boys when they left for New York.

“Um, Pop,” Gus began. “I’ve been thinking.”

“That’s always an ominous sign,” Brian replied.

“I think rather than driving to New York with Uncle John and Bobby, I should take my new car.” Gus looked hopefully at his father who frowned and didn’t reply. “What do you think, Pop?”

“I don’t think much of that idea,” Brian said brusquely.

Gus looked crushed and started to speak, but Ray tapped him on the arm and shook his head. Gus decided not to say anything further.

“And I still want to go to sleep away camp,” Bree added for good measure. “Okay, Dada?”

“I don’t think much of that idea either,” Brian said pushing his chair back from the table. He walked out into his gardens and headed for the stream.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 3





“That was delicious,” Riley said as he finished the steak on his plate.

“I’m glad you approve. Pappagano’s has been around for years, but the quality of the food and the level of service is impeccable,” Danny explained. “When I want to celebrate a special occasion, this is where I come.”

“And is this a special occasion?” Riley asked with a gentle smile.

“Very special.”

“Danny, I’ve enjoyed tonight and talking with you, but…”

“I have no expectations, Riley,” Danny assured him. “I enjoyed having dinner with you. I hope we can do this many more times.”

“But…”

“Let’s just see how things develop. Would you care for dessert?”

“Couldn’t eat a bite more,” Riley declared.

“Then how be we go for a walk down by the river?”

“That sounds … nice.”

“Good, let me get the bill.”

“You don’t have to pay for everything, let’s split it,” Riley suggested.

“Call me old fashioned, but I asked you out. I pay,” Danny stated forcefully.

“Okay, Old fashioned,” Riley said with a twinkle in his eye. He was really enjoying spending time with Danny Devore, much to his surprise. He hadn’t let himself do this for years. Maybe it was time for some changes, he thought, as Danny paid the bill.



*****



“Brian?”

“What?” Brian snapped.

“Can we talk?”

“What for?”

“Because you’re not happy, and when Brian Kinney isn’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

Brian snorted derisively. “Did you draw the short straw?”

“Huh?”

“You know, you’re the one who has to face the evil beast while the others cower back at the house.”

John chuckled. His brother did have a way with words. “I guess that’s me,” John said.

“Well, pull up a piece of rock and we can watch the sun go down,” Brian conceded patting the big rock beside him.

John settled himself beside his brother. “It is beautiful here.”

“If I didn’t have this place to come to…”

“You’d find another place instead,” John informed him.

“I would explode,” Brian corrected.

“No you wouldn’t. You might want to, but you have people who need you. You’d stay here for them.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Of course I do! You’re still here, aren’t you?”

Brian studied his brother’s face for a moment. It looked so much like his own face, but it always seemed happier, more serene than his own face did. He wished he had John’s inner calm and understanding. “What am I going to do when they all leave?” Brian asked in a whisper.

“Who’s leaving?” John asked surprised.

“You and Bobby are going to New York with Gus and Ray. Bree wants to go to sleep away camp when Patrick goes. The house will be empty.”

“What about Justin? I thought you two could have all the hot monkey sex you want all over the old structure.”

Brian laughed. “Trust you to bring architecture into this.”

“Brian, I’m sorry, but I don’t see what you’re worried about. Bobby and I will be back. Gus has been away at school, and he’ll be back at the end of the summer. Patrick and Bree will come back from camp. What’s to worry about?”

“She’s growing up … and I’m getting … old…er. My life is over.”

“Do I detect whining?” John asked in surprise.

Brian snorted. “Fuck whining! Fuck all this shit!” Brian made to get up. John’s hand on his arm stopped him. The next thing he knew, he was pulled into John’s strong arms. The hug took him by surprise, but he gradually relaxed into it. “What am I going to do?”

“You’ll figure it out. I have faith in you,” John said as he released Brian. “Do you want me to leave you alone?”

Brian shook his head. “Stay and watch the sun go down with me,” Brian requested.

John settled back on the rock. He wasn’t sure whether he had made things better or worse. Brian would have to decide that for himself. For now he would enjoy the sunset.



*****



“Dad, can we talk,” Gus asked his father after most of Edna’s Treasures had gone to bed. Brian was pacing the sun porch grumbling about wanting a cigarette. “You really don’t want to take up smoking again?”

“No, but it’s moments like this that I miss drinking and smoking myself into a stupor,” Brian groused.

“You don’t mean that, do you?”

“No, Sonny Boy, I don’t,” Brian said softening his demeanor as he reached out his arm to draw Gus in closer; he bussed his son’s cheek. “So what do you want to talk about?” Brian shook off his melancholy to get down to business.

“Why don’t you want me to drive to New York? Don’t you trust me?”

“I trust you; it’s everyone else I don’t trust,” Brian said flippantly. Gus rolled his eyes. “Gus, bringing a car into a city like New York makes no sense. You’ll be staying with Simon and Ken and working in the same building. Unless you intend on taking a weekend trip out of the city, you won’t need a car. John and Bobby will only be there for a week or two and are going to garage the Navigator at their hotel. They’re more than happy to drive you and Ray and all your clothes to New York.”

“Oh,” Gus said disappointedly.

“Sonny Boy, your Jeep will be kept safe and sound right here until you get back. You can drive it to college when you go back in the Fall,” Brian said reasonably.

“Okay. I guess that makes sense,” Gus acquiesced after seeing his father’s logic. “But I get to drive it back to school, right?” Gus perked up. Brian smirked.

“That’s what I just said, and I don’t lie.”

“No, you don’t. Thanks Pop!” Gus threw his arms around his father. “Dad, about Bree,” Gus slowly began as he hung onto his father. “She really wants to go away to camp.”

“Gusss,” Brian growled, still held fast by his son.

“Come on, Dad. She’s a smart little kid; she knows what she wants.”

“Don’t I know it, and what she wants will give me a heart attack.”

“Dad, it’s for only two weeks and she really, really wants to go.” Gus felt Brian sigh. “You’ll be her hero forever,” Gus singsonged wearing a grin. Brian snorted. “Besides, when was the last time you and Justin had the opportunity to walk around naked for two whole weeks?” Gus knew he had his father when he felt Brian chuckle. “You get to do the nasty wherever and whenever you guys want, even though old guys like you should have the decency to be all done with sex. I mean, puh-leez! Do you know how embarrassing it is knowing my parents are getting more than I am? I’m in my prime! I should be fucking myself silly.” Gus dropped his hold on his dad when Brian cracked up with laughter. Gus joined him.

“You’re good, Sonny Boy, and you can go ahead and fuck yourself silly all you want, but you’ll still never get more than me,” Brian drawled.

“Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. There can only be one Stud,” Gus mimicked in his best Highlander voice. Brian laughed then suddenly grew serious again. He walked out into the garden, Gus accompanying him.

“Mmm,” Gus exclaimed as he inhaled deeply. “I love this garden,” he said as he followed Brian out. “You and Bree made something beautiful out here.”

Brian smiled as he snaked his arm across Gus’ shoulder. “You helped.”

“So did Patrick but it was mostly you and Bree. Dad, letting Bree go to camp is more than her just playing soccer. It means you trust her and that she’s growing up. She wants to be more independent.”

“Enough!” Brian barked. “What makes you think I want her to grow up, or you for that matter.”

“Dad, we all have to grow up sometime. Even Peter Pan grew up.”

“Did you know that I used to call your mother Wendy and she’d call me Peter? I swore I’d never grow up. Never get old, always be young and beautiful.”

“I remember mom calling you Peter. I used to think you were playing a game.”

“I was, with myself. I thought if I grew old no one would want me.”

“Dad, I want you, Bree wants you and Justin, he couldn’t live without you. You haven’t lost a thing; you’ve only grown up.”

“So my wise, grown up son is trying to tell me that I should let my daughter grow up too and go to soccer camp.”

“You think I’m wise?” Gus asked as he smirked at his father. Brian curled his arm around Gus’ neck bringing him into a choke hold then giving him a noogie. “I give up! I give up!”

“I give up too, Sonny Boy. You can tell your sister that you twisted my arm and she can go.”

“I think it’s you that has me twisted, Pop. But I’ll tell Bree in the morning,” Gus said from the vicinity of his father’s chest.

“You do that, Sonny Boy,” Brian said softly as he kissed the top of his son’s head then let him go. “I love you,” Brian whispered.

“I love you too, Pop,” Gus replied as he turned to go back into the cottage.

“But I don’t like that you and your sister are growing up!” Brian added with a grumble. Gus laughed as he slid the porch door closed.

“Well?” Justin asked as he passed Gus in the hall.

“She can go,” Gus said with confidence then high-fived Justin. “He needs you.”

“Yeah, I know. Thanks, Gus, you’re a good son and the best brother,” Justin said warmly as he caressed Gus’ cheek. “Good night.”

“Night, Jus,” Gus said as he went to his room.

“Hey,” Justin said as he opened the porch door to go out into the garden.

“Hey,” Brian replied as he held open his arms. Justin slid into them.

Neither man said a word as they held each other surrounded by the fragrant flowers of their garden.



*****



Todd smoothed the last shovelful of dirt in the Mayor’s garden. He wiped his brow and looked around. Everything looked great, at least as much as he could see in the deep dusk of the summer night. In a few more minutes it would be pitch black. He glanced at his watch noting that it was heading for 10 p.m. Heaving a sigh, he started gathering up all his tools and tossing them in his wheelbarrow.

He had sent the two men on his crew home at six o’clock. That was a bit later than their usual quitting time, but he didn’t want to pay time and a half for overtime. He had stayed for about four more hours trying to get this project finished. He’d have to return in the morning and check that everything was to Mrs. Mayor’s satisfaction. Maybe he should get Brian to do that, since he seemed to be able to schmooze the woman into buying whatever he was selling. Todd was just glad that this project was finally finished. He hoped he could now get caught up on some of the paperwork he was so far behind with.

Todd pushed the wheelbarrow around to the driveway where his truck was parked. He loaded his tools into the truck bed and climbed into the cab. As he started the engine, he heaved a weary sigh. This wasn’t quite what he had bargained on when he came back to the Pittsburgh area from Chicago. He headed for the office of the landscaping company.



*****



“So, what do you do for fun?” Danny asked as he and Riley strolled along the riverfront. The evening was cooling off now that the sun had gone down. Lights sparkled in the water and a gentle breeze blew.

“Not much. I like to read and play the piano.”

“I might have guessed as much,” Danny laughed.

“What do you do with your spare time?”

“I don’t have a great deal of free time with the bookstore. I’m there mostly every day. I have a house with a little garden that I putter in occasionally. I volunteer when I can at Vic Grassi House.”

“Oh?” Riley stopped and they looked out across the river.

“Yeah, I figure it’s the least I can do since I’ve been lucky enough to avoid the AIDS epidemic.”

“Lucky?” Riley asked with a strange look on his face.

“I was around when the whole AIDS epidemic exploded. I could have as easily contracted it as not. I was lucky not to. I have to admit that I didn’t play safe back in those days.”

“Not many of us did,” Riley said shaking his head. “My partner didn’t. I guess you could say I’m pretty lucky too. I could have got it from him, but he realized early on that he might have contracted it, and we went back to using condoms until we knew for sure. When I found out that he…” Riley stopped. Feeling the lump in his throat and in his heart made it impossible to continue.

“Were you angry?” Danny asked softly.

“Of course, I was angry!” Riley retorted. Danny blanched and looked sorry for having asked. “I was fucking angry at him for doing this to us, to himself, to our lives. Back then AIDS was a certain death sentence, and it was … for him.”

“Riley, I’m sorry I brought up bad memories,” Danny said touching Riley’s arm.

“It’s … all right,” Riley said softly. “I’m not angry at you. And they’re not bad memories … just sad memories.”

Danny nodded and stared out at the river for a moment. “How about going into that bar over there and having a good stiff drink?” Danny asked after a couple of minutes of silence had passed between them.

“How about we get an ice cream from that vendor instead?” Riley asked nodding towards a man who was selling ice cream from a cart.

“I have to watch my girlish figure,” Danny said with a grin, batting his eyes at Riley.

“You are a fine figure of a … man,” Riley said with a laugh.

“Thank you, kind sir,” Danny said coyly.

“Come on, you have to splurge every now and then.”

“You know, I think you’re right,” Danny replied as he started to head for the ice cream vendor.

“I’m usually right, and I’m paying for the ice cream,” Riley said walking quickly past Danny to get to the cart first.

“Such a gentleman,” Danny chuckled.

“I am,” Riley declared as he purchased two ice cream bars.



*****



Todd sat at the desk in the office of the landscaping company. He was looking at bills and revenue and upcoming jobs. It was … overwhelming.

He dropped the papers he was holding onto the desk. With a tired, defeated feeling he rubbed his eyes. He wasn’t making this work. Things were getting further and further ahead of him. He wasn’t able to keep up, and he knew it.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. He had come back from Chicago full of hope. Brian wanted to go partners with him in this nice little landscaping company. Todd had planned to do a lot of the work himself. He figured he could get rid of one of the men who worked for the old owner. He would let the one who was the slacker go. The trouble was Todd hadn’t had time to even figure out which of his workmen might be the slacker. He had been dumped right into the day to day running of the company.

And then Brian had started getting him more jobs, jobs from influential clients, like the mayor’s wife. And more and more people seemed to be interested the more the Kinney name became linked with the company. Now Todd couldn’t afford to fire anybody. In fact he was pretty sure he should be hiring one or two more men to work for him. The problem was that he didn’t have time to look for new workmen. He didn’t have time for this paperwork. He didn’t have time to finish the jobs he had already started, let alone start the new ones that were coming along. This was not what he had bargained for.

Drawing in a deep breath, he picked up the phone. He dialed, dreading what was about to happen.

“What?” the voice demanded over the line.

“Brian, I’m sorry if I’m calling too late.”

Brian and Justin were sitting snuggled up on one of the chaises in the backyard. Bree was sound asleep, and Gus and Ray had retired to their room. Brian had been enjoying the stars and the soft breeze that caressed the two of them.

“It’s not too late,” Brian replied into his cell phone when he realized that it was Todd. “Is something wrong?”

“I … I think so,” Todd said hesitantly.

“What?” Brian demanded. Suddenly Todd had his full attention.

“I … I finished the Mayor’s landscaping tonight,” Todd said. He wasn’t sure how to tell Brian that he was ready to bail on the whole landscaping enterprise.

“Did it turn out wrong? Didn’t Mrs. Mayor like it?” Brian asked.

“It’s not that…”

“Then what the fuck is it?”

Todd swallowed hard. He wasn’t sure he could do this. Brian Kinney was famous for his temper. He did not suffer fools, and at the moment Todd felt like a fool. He had obviously bit off more than he could chew. Maybe if he took a few more days he could straighten some of this out.

“Um, I was wondering if you could go by the Mayor’s tomorrow and talk to Mrs. Mayor. She likes you better than me,” Todd said.

Brian snorted. “Nobody likes me better. I just know how to fling the bullshit better than your average bear.”

Justin chuckled. “That’s some mixed metaphor,” he whispered in Brian’s ear. Brian grinned.

“Um, what was that?” Todd asked, having heard some of Justin’s words.

“Nothing,” Brian said curtly. “What exactly do you want me to do?”

“Make sure the work is satisfactory with Mrs. Mayor. If I talk to her, she’ll want to change something, and I don’t have time for any more of her fanciful whims.”

“Okay, I can do that. I have heard that there are more clients interested in our company. Once they see the full splendor of the Mayor’s garden, I think we’ll have even more business.”

“M…more business?” Todd stammered feeling his heart sink into his boots.

“Yeah, this company is going to be a major success. I’ll deal with Mrs. Mayor tomorrow morning,” Brian said and then he cut the connection.

Todd stared at the phone before setting it back in its cradle. “What the fuck!” he muttered. That had not gone at all the way he intended. He ran his hand through his hair. Maybe if he stayed up all night working on these papers he could get ahead of the game. He had to do something. What was one night without sleep?

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 4





“Morning, Short Stuff,” Gus whispered into his sister’s ear. He crept into Bree’s room to wake her for breakfast and to give her the good news. He was sitting at the edge of her bed, leaning down to gently wake her.

“Gus?” Bree said in a sleepy voice.

“The one and only. Wake up, sleepyhead, it’s time for breakfast and I have important news to tell you.”

Bree wiped the sleep from her eyes trying to concentrate on Gus. “What news?”

“Only the bestest kind for my bestest sister. You can go away to soccer camp,” Gus announced with a grin.

“I can?!” Bree said. Her violet blue eyes were opened as wide as possible, all the sleepiness gone.

“Yup, the dads gave you the a-okay!”

“YAY!” Bree shrieked. She shot up from under her sheets to do a happy dance on top of her bed then she threw herself into Gus’ arms, kissing him all over his face as they toppled over onto the bed laughing.

The dads were in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

“I guess someone’s happy,” Justin said casually as he began to put breakfast on the table.

“Apparently,” Brian remarked nonchalantly as he poured himself a mugful of coffee.

They stopped what they were doing, hearing the shrieks of laughter emanating from Bree’s room. Justin turned toward Brian wearing his sunniest smile; Brian arched a brow. Cracking up with laughter, the dads continued to put breakfast on the table for the family.



*****



“Mama?”

“JR? JR, it’s five in the morning,” Mel grumbled into her phone.

Crestfallen, JR grew sad. “I’m sorry. You didn’t call last night and I miss you,” JR said trying to stop the tears from forming in her eyes.

“Sorry, sweetheart, Lorna and I were in court for most of the day and then we had to prepare our client for her deposition. I only got to bed around two.”

“Oh,” JR said somewhat dejected. “When are you coming home?” Before JR got her answer she heard a groaning noise in the background and her mother shushing someone. “Mama, is someone with you?”

“Um, no honey, it’s my, uh, cat. I got a cat. JR, I have to go now, I have to wake up early. I’ll call you tomorrow night.”

“Sure. Bye.”

“Bye, sweetheart. I love you.”

“Love you too, Mama. But...” JR heard her mother hang up. “You’re allergic to cats,” JR mumbled into her silent cell phone.

“What’s wrong, Honeybun?” Michael asked his daughter as he came into the main part of the store from the storeroom. They had come to the store a little early to stock the racks before opening for business.

“Oh, Daddy!” JR exclaimed as she threw her arms around her father’s waist then cried into his chest.



*****



“Ashley! Ashley! Ashley!” Bree shrieked as she flew out of Gus’ Jeep and ran across the camp grounds over to her best friend. Gus and Ray had finished their triumphant months as interns and were taking it easy before going to New York with John and Bobby. Gus was practicing his driving every chance he got so he volunteered to take the kids to day camp. When Patrick and Bree finished up this last session, they were both going to their respective sleep away camps.

“What? What? What?”

“I’m going! I’m going! I’m going! My dads said I can go to soccer camp!”

“YAY!” both girls shouted, jumping up and down while holding hands.

Bree suddenly stopped and grew serious. “I’m going to miss you. Can’t your mommy send you to camp with me?”

“No, she can’t. Besides, I don’t like soccer the way you do and my mommy and me are going on a trip,” Ashley said with a smile.

“You are?”

“Yup. Mommy said that my grandparents miss me so we’re going to visit them.”

“I didn’t know you have grandparents,” Bree exclaimed.

“I didn’t know either. I never met them.”

“How can you not meet your gamma and gampa?”

“I don’t know. Mommy said they’re my daddy’s parents and they live in New Jersey.”

“They do? Is New Jersey far away?”

“I think so. But mommy said she knows how to drive there so we’re going to go as soon as day camp is finished. But I’ll be back in a week.”

“Maybe your mommy will let you sleep over at my house before school starts.”

“Maybe, if we ask our parents the right way.” Both girls nodded in agreement. They learned their lesson about making play dates without getting permission first. “What about your piano lessons?”

“Dada said the teacher will start when I get back but she gave me homework already.”

“What’s homework for pianos?” Ashley asked wondering if her friend had to write essays about her piano.

“Miss Faith gave me scales to practice and fingering exercises and a new book of songs to learn.”

“Oh. That sounds like a lot.”

“It’s not so much,” Bree tried to explain until the counselor called the girls to their group.



*****



“Honeybun, what’s the matter?” Michael asked his hysterical daughter.

“It’s Mama; she’s not coming back,” JR sniffled.

“How do you know that?”

“Because I just spoke to her and she was with somebody.”

“That doesn’t mean anything.”

“Daaad! It’s five in the morning her time, and I woke her up and she was WITH somebody,” JR said giving her somewhat dense father a Brian Kinney glare or maybe a Debbie Novotny glare which was just as deadly.

“Oh, OH!” Michael got it.

“Yeah. Oh. Daddy, what am I going to do?”

“Sweetheart, I honestly don’t have a clue. I think we should have a family meeting to decide. For now, we have to open the store. Do you want to work today? You can go home or go over to Grandma’s house.”

“No, Daddy, I’ll stay here. I like working with you.”

“That’s my girl! I like working with you too," Michael said with a big grin. JR felt a lot better knowing how much her father cared about her. “I love you, Honeybun.”

“Love you too, Daddy,” JR said as she wrapped her arms around her father’s waist again. “But don’t call me Honeybun while we’re working, okay?” JR looked up into her dad’s eyes, pleading. She laughed when she saw her father pout.

“Okay...” Michael said as he kissed her nose then pushed away so he could unlock the door for business. “Honeybun,” he added as he opened the door for the first customer of the day. He winked at JR.

“Oh Daddy!” JR grumbled then they both laughed.



*****



Gus and Ray pulled up in front of Edna’s Treasures. The boys got out of the Jeep and Gus stood back to admire his vehicle.

“It’s a beauty,” Ray said with a smile.

“And it’s all mine. It was almost worth the wait,” Gus replied.

“Almost?”

“I could have been driving to Penn State all last year, and maybe coming to see you in New York if I’d had my car,” Gus said with a note of sadness in his voice.

“Your parents don’t want you driving in New York City,” Ray reminded him.

“What they don’t know won’t hurt them,” Gus said with a wink.

“Gus…” Ray started with a frown.

“You want to see me, don’t you?” Gus asked. When Ray nodded, Gus added,” So I can probably take a few weekends to meet you in New York this fall.”

“Do you think that’s such a good idea?” Ray asked, his frown deepening.

“Don’t you want me to come visit you?” Gus asked with a hurt look on his face. He had thought Ray would be over the moon with this little scheme, but Ray didn’t seem to like it at all.

“I always want you, Gus,” Ray said sincerely, “but driving in New York City is not easy, especially if you’re inexperienced.”

“You’re saying I don’t know how to drive?” Gus demanded. Now he was getting angry.

“I didn’t say that,” Ray replied quickly. “You’re a good driver, but New York is a whole different kettle of fish.” Gus looked hurt and angry and annoyed. That wasn’t what Ray had intended. “I … I didn’t mean to upset you, Gus,” Ray said gently. “I just want you to be safe. I don’t want to be visiting you in the hospital after an accident.”

“I won’t have an accident,” Gus declared emphatically.

“That’s what all young drivers say. I said it.”

“You?”

“Yeah, I have my license and I cracked up my dad’s car the first time I took it out by myself,” Ray admitted.

“You did? I didn’t know that.”

“It wasn’t one of my finer moments. I try never to mention it.”

“Were you hurt?”

“No, mostly my pride. I had a few bruises, and I had to apologize to my dad. I couldn’t believe how stupid I had been. I haven’t driven much since,” Ray admitted.

“I guess you don’t need to in New York.”

“Not really, and the accident kind of turned me off driving.”

“I love driving,” Gus said with a smile.

“Just take it easy with your Jeep, Gus. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I love you, Ray,” Gus said throwing himself into Ray’s arms. “If you want me to be careful I will be.”

“Good choice, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he came around the corner of the house.

“Pop!” Gus said feeling heat rush to his cheeks. “Were you eavesdropping?”

“I heard enough.” Brian refused to apologize for having listened. This was too important. “Like Ray said, I want you around for a long time. We all do.”

“I … I’ll be careful,” Gus said softly. Maybe doing things behind his father’s back wasn’t such a great idea.

“Just think about Bree,” Brian said gently. “She would be beyond inconsolable if anything happened to you.”

Gus shook his head. “I guess I wasn’t thinking.”

“Yeah,” Brian responded. “There’s an old saying about giving people enough rope to hang themselves. I didn’t get you this vehicle so you could smash it up and hurt yourself. It’s meant to be transportation to school and home, not to New York City.”

“Message received loud and clear,” Gus said, and he meant it … at that moment.

“And thank the gods, you have a sensible boyfriend,” Brian added with a wink at Ray.

“I have the best boyfriend,” Gus declared. He took Ray’s hand. “Let’s, um, go … pack,” he said. “Yeah, we need to pack.”

“Right,” Ray said looking a little sheepish as he started to follow Gus into the house.

“And make sure you put some clothes in a suitcase while you’re packing,” Brian said with a laugh. He suspected that packing was not at the top of the list of things to do in Gus’ room.



*****



“Morning, Riley,” Danny said into the phone.

“Is this my wake up call?”

“Yes it is. I would have liked to have been able to give it to you in person rather than over the phone,” Danny said. He had enjoyed their evening together very much, and Riley had seemed to like it too. But when it came time to say goodnight, Riley had not taken Danny up on his offer to spend the night.

“I want to go slow, Danny. I haven’t done anything like this in years,” Riley said slowly.

“Neither have I,” Danny replied. “But please know that I really … like you.”

Riley smiled and he hoped Danny could hear the smile in his voice when he replied, “I like you too.”

“That’s good to know.”

“But as I said, I think we should take this gradually.”

“Neither of us is a spring chicken. If we go too slow, I may be dead before anything happens,” Danny said trying to chastise gently.

Riley laughed. “I’ll take that under advisement, and I have no intention of letting anything happen to you.”

Danny grinned. He liked to hear Riley speak positively. “Then how about we plan on dinner at my place tomorrow night. I’ll cook you one of my specialties.”

“You cook?” Riley asked surprise evident in his tone.

“Is that so amazing?” Danny asked, feeling hurt that Riley didn’t think he was capable of making a decent meal for them.

“Well, you told me how you were on the road for so many years. I never thought you’d have the opportunity to cook,” Riley said honestly.

“I got pretty good using hotplates and limited cooking utensils,” Danny laughed.

“So I should expect wieners and beans?” Riley asked with a chuckle.

“Wieners definitely,” Danny guffawed.

Riley had to laugh in response. “Let’s save the wieners for a little later.”

“You are a hard nut to crack.”

“Hm, nuts on the menu too?”

Danny chuckled. “That’s why I’ve really grown to like you,” he said in a serious voice. He wanted to make sure that Riley knew that. “You have an evil sense of humor.”

“Similar to yours?”

“It’s nice to have someone to laugh with.”

“Yes, it is,” Riley concurred.

“So, are we on for dinner tomorrow night?”

“That’s a date.”

Danny smiled. “Come early and … often,” he said with a wicked laugh before he cut the connection.

Riley pulled the phone away from his ear and smiled before he placed it back on the cradle. He really did like Danny Devore. With a frown he started to wonder just what it was that he was waiting for.



*****



“Dada!” Bree squealed as she saw her father standing by the car.

“Hey, Squirt,” Brian said as he gave her a hug and then opened the door of the car so she could get in. “Did you have fun at camp today?”

“Yep, but I’ll have more fun at soccer camp,” she said as Brian made sure she was buckled into her booster seat.

“Is that right?”

“Thank you for letting me go.”

Brian shook his head as he climbed into the driver’s seat. He still didn’t like the idea of Bree being away from them overnight, but everyone else seemed to think it was perfectly all right.

“Dada, isn’t Patrick coming with us?” Bree asked as Brian started the car.

“John’s picking him up. They’re having pizza in Harrisburg.”

“Oh.” Bree wondered about that. They usually all ate together. She waited for her father to tell her more but he said nothing as he drove out of the campground.

“Dada, are you sad that I’m going to sleep away camp?” Bree asked as she studied the back of her father’s head, and noted the limited response to whatever she said.

“I’m … not sad,” Brian finally said as they turned onto the main road.

“You seem sad … or mad … or something,” his perceptive daughter stated.

“I don’t like it that you’re going to overnight camp, but if it’s what you want…”

Bree frowned. “If it makes you sad, I can stay home,” Bree volunteered. She really wanted to go to sleep away camp like Patrick, but she didn’t want her Dada to miss her and be sad. She held her breath waiting to see what her father would say. If he said he didn’t want her to go then she’d have to stay home.

“I don’t want you to go,” Brian said. He glanced in the rearview mirror to see Bree’s face fall. He waited to see if she’d carry through with her offer.

Bree’s mouth formed a set line. Then she spoke. “I’ll stay home, Dada. I love you.”

Brian shook his head. “No, Squirt, as much as I’d like to take you up on your offer, I think you should go to soccer camp.”

“You do?” Bree asked hopefully.

“I don’t like the idea of you being away from us, but as your father and your brother and every other fucking member of this family has told me, you are growing up and I have to let you grow up. So, you’re going to sleep away camp,” Brian said definitively. “And that’s all there is to it.”

“I wouldn’t grow up if I could help it,” Bree said in a mournful voice.

Brian chuckled. “Well, Squirt, you can’t help it, so both of us need to learn to live with it.”

Brian could see Bree nodding her head in the back seat.



*****



“Are you okay?” Justin asked as Bree ran to her room to change from her camp clothes.

“I will be,” Brian replied.

“Good.”

“She’s so smart. She offered not to go.”

“Wow! But … you didn’t take her up on it, did you?”

“I thought about it,” Brain said with a wry smile.

“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Tell me that the day after she leaves for camp,” Brian said.

Justin chuckled and hugged his husband.

“Dada,” a little voice called. “Come and help me pick out what to wear.”

“Your job will never be done,” Justin chuckled releasing his husband. “Go help her. You’ll be picking out her wedding dress before you know it.”

“Shoot me first,” Brian said as he started down the hall to Bree’s bedroom.

Justin knew he didn’t mean that, but there were only a few years left to prepare Brian for the fact that Bree might someday get married.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 5





“Dada, why are we going to Pittsburgh?” Bree asked her father. They were driving together in Justin’s Cherokee. It was the Saturday just before Bree and Patrick were going away to camp. Her uncles, Gus and Ray were going away as well.

“Several reasons,” came Brian’s cryptic response.

“Oh.” Bree didn’t push for an explanation for a number of reasons. First and foremost, she did not want to piss off her father into changing his mind about sleep away camp.

“Why is Daddy following us in Gus’ Jeep?”

“When Gus gets back from New York he’s going to spend time with his mother and JR before he drives back to college. Gus will be staying at the loft so he’ll need his Jeep,” Brian explained. Brian fully intended for Gus to take possession of the loft once he graduated and began working fulltime. Gus was, so far, proving himself to be a responsible young man.

“Oh.”

Brian glanced in the rearview mirror at his daughter. He could see the wheels turning in her head. “Your Daddy is going to the gallery and we have some things to do. When he’s done, he’ll drop the Jeep off at Lindsay’s house so it’ll be safe for Gus. We’ll pick Daddy up there,” Brian explained, a little.

“Oh.” Bree thought it made sense but she was curious about the ‘things’ she and her Dada had to do.

At the turn off into the city, Justin beeped the horn then stuck his hand out the window waving to them. Bree waved frantically at her daddy until the Jeep was too far away. Brian drove in another direction toward his mother’s house.

“Gamma Joan’s house?”

“Yup.”

“Yay! I love Gamma Joan!” Bree exclaimed, bouncing in her booster seat.

“Me too, Squirt,” Brian whispered to himself as they parked in front of Joan’s house. Brian gave the horn a little toot then got out of the Cherokee to open the passenger side door. Joan stepped out of her front door, locked up then came to the curb. Brian gave his mother a little peck on the cheek before handing her into the Cherokee.

“Hi Gamma!” Bree cheerfully greeted her grandmother.

“Hello, Sweetheart,” Joan said as she settled into the seat and buckled up. “It’s a beautiful day,” Joan commented. “And I don’t think I’ve seen you since Memorial Day. I’ve missed you.”

“I missed you too. Did Dada tell you that I’m going away to camp?!” Bree asked excitedly forgetting that she wasn’t going to bring it up.

“Yes, he did,” Joan replied, patting Brian’s arm. She knew, as well as the rest of the family, that Brian harbored reservations about Bree being away. Brian was wearing his tough ‘nothing fazes me’ expression that only few could see through.

Brian kept driving as his mother and his daughter chatted away. Bree updated Joan about her piano and Riley. Joan updated Bree about Danny and Riley. Brian smirked, realizing that the two most important ladies in his life had come to the same conclusion that Danny and Riley somehow belonged together. Brian shook his head as he drove through a large wrought iron gate.

“Mom, where do we go from here?” Brian asked Joan. Joan looked around to catch her bearings then pointed.

“Over that way,” she directed. Brian slowly drove down the narrow road. “You can park here.”

“Dada, what is this place?” Bree asked as she climbed out of her booster seat and down out of the Cherokee. Brian lifted her into his arms, groaning under her solid weight. Bree was still smaller than most girls her age but she was beginning to develop her daddy’s frame.

“This is the cemetery where my father is buried,” Brian explained as Joan guided them to a spartan gravesite.

Joan said a few quiet prayers then brushed away some old dried leaves that were stuck up against the headstone.

“It seems so cold,” Brian commented as he gazed upon the plain stone.

“I was a different person when your father died. He never wanted anything fancy nor did I. I also couldn’t afford it.”

“Mom, I can...”

“No, Brian. I’m satisfied; I’ve never been frivolous, why start now?” Brian nodded, respectful of his mother’s wishes.

“Dada, I don’t know what to do,” Bree whispered from her perch in Brian’s arms.

“You don’t have to do anything but give Gamma a hug when she’s finished praying,” Brian whispered back then pecked her cheek.

“Okay,” Bree said. “I can do that.” She slid down from Brian’s arms then sidled up to Joan to take her hand. Joan smiled fondly at Bree as she clasped Bree’s hand.

As they turned to go, Brian spied a familiar head of unnaturally bright red hair. “Bree, Grandma Debbie and Carl are over there.” Brian pointed Bree in the right direction then let her take off. She caught up with Debbie and Carl then patiently waited with them as Joan and Brian walked over.

“Hey, Kiddo. Joan. How the hell are you?” Deb asked.

“I seem to be all recovered, according to the doctors. I still tire easily,” Joan replied.

“Doctors, what the hell do they know? Quacks, all of them, except for my grandson-in-law, of course,” Deb qualified her statement not to include their Dr. Nick.

“Of course,” Joan agreed. “Who are you visiting?”

“My brother, Vic,” Deb said as they stepped back toward Vic’s grave. Joan bowed her head to say a few more prayers.

“Is that who I got my name from?” Bree looked up as she asked the adults around her.

“Yes, sweetheart,” Debbie confirmed. “My brother was a very sweet man. Smart too and the best gourmet chef. He would have loved you,” Debbie said with a sad smile. Carl placed his arm around her to give her a hug. Debbie kissed his cheek. “What are you doing in town?”

Brian gave Debbie and Carl a brief synopsis of their plans.

“Have you all thought about lunch?” Debbie asked.

“We have no definite plans. Justin will be at the gallery for most of the day and I have no need to terrorize Kinnetik,” Brian said.

“We were going to meet Jennifer and Seth at the diner. Why don’t you all join us,” Debbie suggested.

“We don’t want to intrude,” Joan said thinking that Debbie and Jenn had made a specific date for lunch.

“No intrusion. As a matter of fact, I insist,” Deb said catching Brian’s eye.

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Brian said cheerfully as his led his women back to the Cherokee.

“What are you up to, Deb?” Carl asked knowingly.

“Watch and learn,” Debbie quipped as she took out her cell phone and quickly placed a call.



*****



“Sidney,” Justin called out as he looked up from his sketch pad. He was sitting on the steps that divided one gallery from the next, trying to stay out of Lindsay’s way as she directed the movers and hangers.

“Justin, my boy, so glad to see you,” Sidney greeted Justin as he walked over to the steps. “Pardon me for not sitting. At my age I may never get up,” Sidney joked.

Justin chuckled. “I wanted to ask, did a young girl named Candy or Cassandra submit something for the Emerging Artists show?”

“Yes, she did,” Sidney answered but with some hesitation in his voice.

“What’s wrong? Is the piece horrible? I looked through her sketch pad; I think she has talent.”

“I agree but you may object to her submissions.”

“Why? Can I see them?” Sidney nodded then led Justin over to a display stand that held some of the smaller pieces. Most were small canvases or painted boards. Others were framed sketches.

Sidney pointed to two dark drawings that were fraught with sad imagery.

“These are good,” Justin commented as he studied the drawings. “They remind me of some of the stuff I drew when Brian and I broke up.”

“Yes, they are a little morose.”

“Did you ask her about them?” Justin asked as he studied the image of a lone figure standing near a grave. A hand reaching out toward an ornate headstone.

“Yes, I did. She said these were drawn when she found out that her mother had cancer. The young lady was convinced of her mother’s imminent demise. Fortunately, her mother seems to be on the road to recovery but the road hasn’t been an easy one. They are rather destitute. Cassandra is hoping her sketches will earn her some money.”

“I...”

“Don’t,” Sidney warned.

“How do you know what I was going to say?” Justin scowled.

“Because I know you, my boy. We’ve had a long successful partnership and I know your generous nature. As well as the generosity of your partner. Cassandra is hoping for legitimate interest in her work.”

“But these are...”

“Yes, they are rather grim. But I’m thinking they appeal to those of a gothic nature.”

Justin nodded. “Did she submit anything else?” Justin hoped there was something more cheery.

“In a manner of speaking,” Sidney said as he directed Justin to another display easel.

“It’s my henge!” Justin said with surprise. Sidney stood back smiling and waited as Justin scrutinized the painting. “Her attention to detail is phenomenal for someone so young.”

Sidney smirked; he had thought the same about the young Justin Taylor, emerging artist, so many years ago.

“Sidney, did you see the signature,” Justin asked, his tone suddenly icy cold.

“Yes, I did.”

“Justin, do you want me to reject her pieces? I can claim late entry.”

“No, leave them in,” Justin answered. There was resignation in his voice. “Miss Hobbs deserves a chance just like everyone else.”



*****



Brian pulled up around the corner from the Liberty Diner to park. As they approached the front door, Brian could see Lacy through the windows delivering her orders. He smiled as he opened the door for his mother and Bree; the cook was madly dinging the bell.

“Keep your fucking shirt on!” Lacy yelled over her shoulder as she kissed Debbie and Carl who were making themselves comfortable in one of the larger booths.

“Some things never change,” Brian quipped as he led his ladies over to join them. The bell over the door jingled. In walked Jennifer and Seth then Susan.

“Gamma Susan!” Bree screeched as she ran over to greet Susan. “I haven’t seen you forever,” Bree said as she wrapped her arms around Susan’s waist.

“I know, honey, and I’m sorry,” Susan said as she squatted down to give a Bree a hug. Susan scanned the faces of Bree’s family until she found Debbie’s. “Thank you,” she mouthed then kissed Bree’s head.

“You know something, Maw, you’re pretty fucking sneaky,” Brian said as he leaned over to give Debbie a kiss.

Debbie raised her water glass in salute. “Learned from the master,” Deb said as they all made themselves comfortable while waiting for Bree and Susan.



*****



“Where’s Gampa?” Bree asked as she slid into the booth beside her Gamma Susan.

“Um, he’s busy today,” Susan lied. She hadn’t been able to convince him to come to the diner after Debbie’s call.

“He don’t come to see me no more,” Bree said with a frown.

“I’ll be sure to tell him that you miss seeing him,” Susan replied.

“Yeah,” Bree said decisively. “I bet he goes to see Taylor.”

Susan opened her mouth to say something then changed her mind. She was sick of defending Craig Taylor.

The big family occupied the back two booths of the diner. Lacy hustled over to take their orders.

“Glad to see you all,” she said with a big smile. “What can I get you?”

It took several minutes to get all the orders straight. Brian allowed Bree to have the obligatory hotdog, even though he made a face when Debbie ordered it for his daughter. Brian ordered coffee.

“You can have some of my hotdog, Dada,” Bree offered.

“He won’t have some hotdog, but I bet he snatches a few French fries,” Debbie laughed.

“Did I hear snatch?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.

“What’s snatch, Dada?” Bree asked.

Debbie cleared her throat. “It’s great to have everybody here.” She hoped that would deflect Bree’s question, because otherwise Brian was likely to answer it.

“How’s Richie doing?” Seth asked. He hadn’t seen the boy since the July Fourth barbecue.

“He’s doing fine,” Brian explained. “He’s been doing a lot of reading and trying to catch up with his studies.”

“And my hunky son-in-law has been helping him,” Debbie said proudly.

“I’m going to sleep over camp,” Bree said to her Gamma Susan. “And I’m going to have piano lessons when I come back.” She smiled proudly as she studied the looks on all the adults’ faces.

“When was this decided?” Jennifer asked. She looked concerned. “I thought you felt Bree was a little too young to be going away to camp?” Jennifer looked pointedly at Brian.

“It’s only for two weeks, Gamma,” Bree assured her.

“Bree and I talked this over,” Brian said smugly. “She wants to go and she assures me that she is a big girl and will be just fine.”

“But what are you going to do while she’s gone?” Debbie asked Brian with a chuckle.

“I’ll just come by your place and bug the hell out of you and Carl,” Brian said.

“Great!” Carl responded and they all laughed.



*****



Justin was still sketching, sitting on a stool in the Sidney Bloom Gallery. He was concentrating on the arms of the men lifting his paintings into place. There was something fascinating about the play of light and dark as the muscles flexed and relaxed. Justin smiled to himself. It had been a while since he’d drawn Brian’s parts. Maybe that was something he should get back to, especially while Bree was away at camp. It could lead to some interesting side benefits.

With a little smile curling the corners of his mouth Justin used his finger to blend the pencil strokes he had made into just the perfect roundness of a bicep.

“That’s beautiful,” a voice said from behind him.

“Thanks,” he said as he turned, the smile still on his face. The smile disappeared immediately when he realized it was Cassandra Hobbs.

“Hi, I just stopped by to see if any of my work had been accepted for the Emerging Artists Show.”

“You’ll have to speak to Sidney about that,” Justin said coldly. “That’s not right,” Justin called to Lindsay. “It’s too high. I want it down more at eye level.” He walked towards Lindsay and the workmen who were holding one of his paintings against the wall, leaving Cassandra standing by herself. There was nothing wrong with the placement of the painting. He just had to get away from Candy before he said something they’d both be hurt by.

“Hello, young lady,” Sidney said as he came out of his office.

“Hello, Mr. Bloom. Um, have I done something to make Mr. Taylor angry with me?”

Sidney wondered how much to reveal, but then decided that this was not his story to tell. “I have some good news for you. Your work has been accepted for the show. It reveals considerable talent.”

“Oh my God! That’s awesome,” Candy reacted.

“I’m glad you think so, but, um, I was wondering…”

“Wondering what?” Candy asked sensing a big “but” was about to follow.

“If you want to sell some pieces at this show, I would suggest that you add a couple of cheerful pieces to the mix.”

“Cheerful?” Candy asked with a frown.

“Yes, your work is quite … dark.”

“But that’s how I see the world,” Candy said bewildered. How could he ask her to change who she was, change her artwork, the very essence of her being? Maybe she shouldn’t be in this show at all.

Sidney watched the turmoil on the young girl’s face. Maybe he should just let her be upset then she might withdraw from the show. That would make Justin feel better, and he was much more important than Cassandra Hobbs. However, Sidney knew the girl had talent, and he didn’t want to take this opportunity away from her, and he suspected that Justin didn’t want to either.

“Cassandra,” he said gently.

“It’s Candy.”

“I thought you wanted to be Cassandra for the show.”

“It doesn’t sound like you really want my artwork in your show, so what difference does it make?” Candy asked as she turned to leave.

“Just wait a minute. I want to explain something to you.”

“And what might that be?” Candy asked defiantly as she turned around. She wasn’t going to let this man destroy her. She fought back tears.

“I looked at your drawing of Justin’s henge,” Sidney began with a small gesture towards the artist who was now in seemingly deep discussion with Lindsay.

“Yes?”

“It’s not like the rest of your work. It’s hopeful and light.”

“That’s because the henge is hopeful and light,” Candy stated.

“Yes, of course. It has beautiful detail. Could you perhaps do a series of drawings of the henge. I think they would sell,” Sidney advised.

“You do?”

“I do.”

“Do … you think Mr. Taylor would mind if I did that? He seems very unfriendly today.”

“I don’t think Justin would mind. Perhaps you should speak to Justin about whatever’s bothering him.”

“I don’t know.” Cassandra glanced at Justin then back to Sidney and back to Justin again.

“I think he will talk to you if you try,” Sidney said. “See if you can do a couple more sketches of the henge for the show.”

“I’ll think about it,” Candy replied. She stood watching Justin wondering whether she should approach him or not. She had felt how cold he was to her when he had first seen her. She didn’t know what to do.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 6





“Hi Mama,” Gus said into his cell phone. “Ray and I are starting to pack for New York.”

“I thought you might be,” Melanie replied. “I called to wish you well and tell you to behave while you’re there.”

“I always behave.”

Ray made a face at Gus when he heard those words. Then he winked.

“Just be careful, Gus. New York is a very big city, and a lot of things can happen there.”

“I know, Mama. I’ll have Ray and his dads and Jeff to show me the ropes.”

“I suppose,” Melanie agreed slowly. “I do worry.”

Gus shook his head. If she worried so much, why wasn’t she there to see him off on his adventure to New York City? “Um, Mama, is there any chance you’ll be home soon?” Gus asked. He had to know if there was even a breath of a chance that his mothers would get back together. There was a long pause. Gus waited holding his breath.

“Gus, I really don’t know. I’m working out here now…”

Gus knew there was more to it than that, but apparently his mother wasn’t prepared to tell him about it. “Okay,” Gus said. At least she hadn’t said she was never coming back.

“Gus…”

“It’s okay, Mama,” Gus said with resignation in his voice, “we all have to do what we have to do.”

“Yes, we do.”

“Thanks for calling, and my cell phone works in New York as well as here.”

“Of course.”

“Talk to you soon.” Gus cut the connection. “That was really weird,” Gus told Ray as he tossed his cell phone onto the bed.

“How so?” Ray asked.

“It seemed …like she wanted to tell me more, but she didn’t.”

“Maybe she’s afraid to,” Ray advised.

“Afraid?”

“Yeah, even adults, especially parents, want to seem perfect. She may be embarrassed that she’s the one breaking up your family.”

“She is the one breaking it up,” Gus stated. He hated all this drama between his mothers. His father was staying out of it this time, and that probably meant that they had little hope of reconciling.

“Yeah, but I’m sure it comes from both sides. Don’t pin all the blame on her.”

“How old are you?” Gus asked with a frown.

“You know. Why?” Ray asked puzzled by Gus’ question.

“You are so wise sometimes.”

“Cripes, you make me sound like I’m a hundred,” Ray said shaking his head. He had just been trying to help.

“I know you’re not a hundred,” Gus grinned. “In fact I think you should show me just how young and virile you are.” Gus waggled his eyebrows, looking so much like his father.

“That’s a great idea,” Ray responded shoving the suitcases off the bed before grabbing his boyfriend and tumbling them both onto it.



*****



Todd walked into his office at the landscaping headquarters and slumped into the big chair in front of his desk. He was exhausted. It was the weekend, but he had been up at the crack of dawn after working until dusk the day before. He had just spent eight hours on another job that was also behind schedule. He knew he couldn’t keep this up. He rubbed his hand over his face and looked at the mountain of bills and other paperwork strewn across the desk. How was he ever going to get caught up?

After a couple of minutes he realized that he had dozed off. He shook himself trying to break out of this depression and exhaustion and lethargy. What the fuck was he going to do?

Gradually Todd realized that what he should do was call Brian Kinney. Maybe Brian could suggest the best plan of attack to get things back to normal with this company. Who would have thought he’d be suffering from too many jobs to do?

When he came back to Pittsburgh, Todd hadn’t planned on staying. Then fucking Brian Kinney had come up with this idea of a partnership. Todd had liked the idea thinking that Brian would be a silent partner, provide some financing, and Todd would run a small landscaping company. But he should have known that Brian didn’t do anything in a small way. He smiled to himself remembering his one encounter with Brian Kinney in the backroom of Babylon. There was nothing small about Brian. There were few men who could live up to their reputations, but Brian exceeded his.

Mentally Todd gave himself a shake. That wasn’t what he was supposed to be thinking about. The small landscaping company that Todd had envisioned had snowballed into a monster that was out of Todd’s control. Trust Brian Kinney to be too successful.

Todd knew he should call Brian, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. It would be admitting failure and he knew he didn’t want to do that. Propping his eyes open, Todd picked up the first paper on his desk. He better get started on some of this right away. Every minute he sat there doing nothing was another minute he got farther behind.



*****



“So how was your day at the gallery?” Brian asked as he drove his family towards Edna’s Treasures.

“I guess I should say fine, and leave it at that.”

“What happened?” Brian asked, immediately picking up on Justin’s tone.

Justin glanced into the backseat of the SUV where Bree was staring out the window, seemingly lost in thought. “I think this better wait until we’re alone,” he replied softly.

Brian’s frown deepened. “Okay, but this better not be something we should have dealt with in Pittsburgh.”

“It’s not.”

“Daddy, you can talk in front of me. I won’t tell nobody,” Bree piped up.

“Anybody,” Brian corrected.

Bree frowned. “I don’t do nuffin right,” she said with a pout.

“Sure you do, sweetheart,” Justin said quickly. “You do most things right, better than right.”

“I saw Gamma Susan today, Daddy,” she informed her father, apparently changing the subject.

“You did? How did that happen?” Justin looked at his husband.

“I took Joan to the cemetery, and we met Debbie and Carl there. She invited us for lunch at the diner, and called Susan to join us.”

“It was good you got to see Grandma Susan. You haven’t seen her for a long time.”

“I know, but she didn’t bring Gampa Craig with her.”

“Oh?”

“He was invited,” Brian mouthed to Justin.

“Um, my dad doesn’t like the diner food,” Justin explained lamely.

“Doesn’t like the diner clientele is closer to the truth,” Brian couldn’t stop himself from adding. Justin glared at him.

Bree stared at her fathers. “Gampa doesn’t like me no more,” she said sadly.

“Yes he does,” Justin replied quickly.

Bree shook her head. “He never comes to see me.”

“Um, we haven’t invited him to our place lately. Maybe we should do that,” Justin suggested. He glanced at Brian for confirmation. Brian merely shrugged. He could put up with a few hours of Craig Taylor if it would make Bree happy.

“He won’t come,” Bree said dejectedly.

“Why don’t we call and see when we get home?”

“’Kay, Daddy, but you better talk to him. He doesn’t like me.”

Justin shook his head. This was turning out to be the day from Hell.



*****



For the rest of the evening, the family of Edna’s Treasures was very busy packing. Even Justin was packing up the rest of his paintings and sketches that he was going to take to the gallery on Monday after they delivered Bree to camp. Bree had asked her Dada to assist her with her packing for sleep away camp; begrudgingly, Brian agreed. Bree carefully laid out her summer wardrobe on her bed. With a nod or a gesture, Brian indicated which outfits would be appropriate for a little girl on her first solo trip away from home. Most of the time Bree would be wearing her soccer uniform; however, other attire was suggested by the camp. A list of activities was provided which included supervised dances with the neighboring boy’s camp and religious services for those children who wanted to attend. There was also a local concert that the camp arranged to attend. All of which sounded far too grown up for Brian’s little girl, but he was personally assured by the camp director that all activities were age appropriate and necessary for socialization.

Bree heard her Dada grumble and curse but knew it only meant her father was going to miss her when she was away. It didn’t mean she couldn’t go.

“Dada?” Bree looked up as she handed Brian a pair of pink socks.

“Yeah, Squirt?” Brian laid the socks next to the rest of the pink socks in Bree’s suitcase.

“I’m going to miss you,” Bree said as she threw her arms around Brian’s waist. He stooped down to pick her up.

“I’m going to miss you too,” he murmured into her hair. Brian held Bree close for several minutes until he got himself under control. He sighed deeply as he put Bree down. Silently, father and daughter continued to pack her bags.



*****



“Hi, Dad,” Ray greeted his father on the phone. Gus and Ray were taking a break from packing, just lying on the bed. “Yeah, Gus’ uncles are going to drive us home and then go on to their hotel. Okay, I’ll invite them. Yeah, I’ve had the best time,” Ray said with a smile. He reached out for Gus’ hand. The boys held hands as Ray spoke to his father.

“I miss you and Daddy too. Yeah, I even miss Jeff,” Ray laughed. “We’ll see you Monday afternoon. Bye, Dad. Love you too,” Ray said just before he disconnected his cell.

The boys lay back on the bed, quiet and contemplative.

“I had a great time here,” Ray said after a while. He gently squeezed Gus’ hand.

“The best,” Gus agreed as he squeezed back then rolled over to lay on top of Ray. He arched that famous Kinney brow as he scrutinized Ray’s face.

“Yesss?” Ray smirked, unperturbed by the eyebrow.

“I wonder if your dads got you a new bed,” Gus quipped before he sought out Ray’s lips. Ray mushed Gus’ face with a pillow.



*****



“Okay, Sunshine, spill!” Brian demanded as they emerged from their shower before going to bed.

“I don’t know where to begin,” Justin said with a sigh as he rubbed a towel over his head. Brian took the towel out of Justin’s hand as he settled Justin between his long legs on their bed. Gently massaging Justin’s head as Brian dried the golden mane, Brian encouraged Justin to talk.

“Try from the beginning.”

“I met someone very interesting at the gallery,” Justin began. Brian stifled any jealous feelings that automatically wanted to intrude, letting Justin explain fully. “A girl about JR’s age. Cassandra but she prefers to be called Candy. She came in to look at the Rage exhibit.”

Brian relaxed as he kissed a pale shoulder. “Sounds a little like Hunter,” Brian said commenting on the name. “Go on.”

“We were talking about Rage, about you and Lacy when I noticed she had a sketch pad with her. She let me look at her stuff. It’s good, a little dark and gloomy but good.”

“What does a young lady have to be gloomy about?”

“Her mom is recovering from cancer,” Justin said softly, patting the long legs that surrounded him. “Sidney found out that her mother was very sick and almost didn’t make it. They came back to the Pitts hoping that Candy’s father could lend some financial support. But...”

“But what? Is he a cheapskate asshole that won’t take any responsibility?”

“Maybe, I didn’t get that far. I convinced Candy to submit some of her stuff to Sidney for the Emerging Artists show.”

“And, did it suck?”

“No,” Justin chuckled with nervous laughter. “But her name, it can’t be a coincidence.”

“Did you find another artistic Taylor?” Brian teased.

“No, I didn’t,” Justin snapped back, suddenly very serious. “Another Hobbs,” Justin growled as he stilled Brian’s hands, grabbing the towel and throwing it across the room. As Justin tried to get up, Brian held him back, waiting until Justin was ready to continue.

“I want to hate her, hate her drawings and paintings. I was cold to her when I discovered her name.”

“Are you sure she’s the same Hobbs? You could be condemning someone needlessly.”

“I don’t know for sure. And I got the impression that she never really knew her father, if indeed Chris Hobbs is her father. But I can’t help myself. I hear that name and...”

“And you want to strike back in some way.”

“Yes, and I’m ashamed of myself. If she is Hobbs’ daughter, she has no clue about what happened. It’s not right to blame her for what her father did.”

“The sins of the father...”

“Exactly. She maybe a Hobbs in name only.”

“So what are you going to do?” Brian asked as he felt Justin relax in his arms. Brian worked himself and Justin under the sheets then covered them both. Justin nestled himself into Brian’s strong arms.

“I don’t know. If I make assumptions about her then I’ll be as guilty as Hobbs was making assumptions about me and all gays.” Brian nodded, proud of Justin, knowing how difficult this was for him and for Brian as well. Brian would give anything to be able to wave a magic wand and make Hobbs, and what he stands for, go away.

“Did you tell Sidney to disqualify Candy?”

“No, I didn’t. He offered though.”

“Then I suggest after we deliver your latest creations on Monday that you take a break from the gallery. Does Sidney or Lindsay need you there?”

“Not really, I just like to be involved.”

“So it’s going to be just you and me for the next two weeks unless some other disaster happens. You can keep me from going crazy without our daughter.” Brian felt Justin smile against his chest.

“That’s a pretty big job. I’m not sure I’m up to it,” Justin replied rubbing his groin against Brian’s leg.

“I think I may be up for something.”

“You’re always up.” Justin leaned up to give Brian a kiss then laid back down. The boys were not in any hurry for sex and Brian sensed Justin had more on his mind. “Bri, what should I do about Candy?’

“What do you want to do?”

“I’d like to be man enough and gracious enough that if Candy does turn out to be Hobbs’ daughter I can get past it and treat her fairly. She hasn’t done anything to warrant my rude behavior.”

“Justin, you have a very gracious heart. I have no doubt that you’ll do the right thing.”

“I hope so. I don’t like where my head is at.”

“You can always put your head somewhere else,” Brian so thoughtfully suggested.

“And where might that be?” Justin asked having a good idea of the answer.

“Here.” Brian pulled Justin onto his chest so they could kiss and rub their groins together. As both grew hard, Justin thought of an equally good place for his head to be. Justin kissed a path down Brian’s chest toward the best place Justin could put his head and mouth.

“Oh yeah,” Brian purred as Justin sucked down Brian’s cock. “No one on this fucking planet does that as good as you,” Brian groaned as he arched into Justin’s talented mouth.

Justin sucked and nibbled as he rolled Brian’s balls in his hands. The moans and groans emanating from Brian spurred Justin on, although Brian’s beauty alone was inspiration enough for Justin.

“I love the way you taste,” Justin murmured as he looked up to see Brian’s lust hooded eyes. “And the smell of your skin.” Justin inhaled as he routed his nose into Brian’s dark pubes.

“Holy fuck!” Brian cried out unable to hold on any longer. “Finish me,” he demanded, sinking his fingers into Justin’s hair.

“Yes, master,” Justin snickered around Brian’s dick. Justin finished off his spouse, sucking down Brian’s hot thick cum. Justin watched Brian come down from his sexual high as he climbed back up Brian’s long body and lay next to him. “Thank you.”

“For what? I should be thanking you.”

“For getting my head back in the right place. For knowing me better than I know myself, and for just being here.”

“Justin, don’t you know by now that there is nowhere I’d rather be than right here. And as for knowing you, I make it my job to know you, and I’ve had years of study. And you got your head back in the right place all by yourself.” Brian leaned over to punctuate his statements with a kiss.

“Now I think it’s about time I should get my head in a better place,” Brian declared as he crawled down Justin’s body to reciprocate. Justin fisted the sheets as he gave himself over to a Brian Kinney blowjob.

Justin’s head was definitely in the best place ever.



*****



“Day after tomorrow, we’ll be on vacation,” John said as he snuggled next to Bobby.

“Mmm, two whole weeks on our own,” Bobby replied smugly.

“How did you arrange it without me knowing?”

“I have many skills,” Bobby teased. “I also have an in with Gordon. He and Betsie think I’m adorable.”

“Adorable?”

“Yup, and they both think that taking you away is a great idea.”

“They do?”

“Yes they do.” Bobby to turned to face John; he coyly batted his eyelashes. “Do you think I’m adorable?”

“Irresistible too,” John said nodding his head. “And very, very smart. But, um, now what about those skills you mentioned. I believe they deserve further study and clarification,” John said as he arched the Kinney brow.

“I firmly believe in doing in depth research,” Bobby murmured as he firmly cupped John’s balls then stroked his dick.

“I agree,” John stuttered. “Lots of research,” he murmured with his last few coherent brain cells.



*****



Todd tossed and turned in his bed. He was alone, lonely and exhausted. He used to be able to take Sundays off when he lived and worked in Chicago. Now to keep up with the paperwork, Todd would be up with the birds and on his computer trying to make heads or tails regarding his accounts. He frowned as he pulled on his flaccid cock. He couldn’t remember the last time he had sex even with himself.

“Damn, I need to get laid,” Todd said to himself. “And I really need to talk to Brian Kinney.”

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 7






“Daddy, Dada, wake up!” a little voice called from the other side of the bedroom door. “You gots to take me to sleep away camp.”

“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he sat up in bed. Today was the day.

“Go open the door,” Justin instructed his husband with a big yawn. “Dada’s coming,” he called to Bree.

“It’s fucking six-thirty in the fucking morning.”

“Sh, open the door.” Brian did as he was bid. A blonde whirlwind wrapped herself around his waist.

“I love you, Dada,” Bree whispered. “I need breakfast, then we havta go to sleep away camp.”

“It’s early, Squirt, we’ve got plenty of time.”

“Are you sure?’

“I’m sure. Push the button on the coffeemaker for me and I’ll be right out.”

“’Kay, Dada. Love you, Daddy.”

“Love you too, sweetheart,” Justin replied with a smile. Bree ran out of the bedroom. “Do you think she’s excited?” Justin laughed.

Brian shook his head. “Maybe we should tell her not to go.”

“It’s too late for that. She’ll be fine.” Justin threw back the covers. “Let’s shower, and then you can make us one of your famous breakfasts. That’s what we need to start the day off right.”

Dejectedly, Brian let himself be led into the shower.



*****



“This is good, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said as the family was all enjoying Brian’s omlet and bacon.

“Thanks,” Brian replied tersely.

“We’re leaving right after breakfast to take Patrick to baseball camp,” Bobby said. “When will you be leaving with Bree?”

“Probably the same,” Justin answered when Brian didn’t say anything.

“I’ll miss you guys,” Gus said honestly.

“Me too,” Ray added.

“I’ll miss everybody,” Bree piped up. “But I’m going to have fun at sleep away camp.” She popped her last piece of toast into her mouth and smiled at everyone.

“Of course you are, little princess,” John said. “Let’s go get your things into the car, Patrick. We’ll be back for you guys, as soon as we drop off Patrick,” he added, speaking to Gus and Ray. They nodded in agreement.

A short while later after many hugs and kisses, both families were on the road taking their child to camp. Gus and Ray were getting the last of their belongings organized to go to New York.



*****



A mostly silent trip ended as Brian pulled the SUV up to the office of the soccer camp. There were many other children and their families arriving as well. Justin went into the office to check in and find out where they were supposed to go. A counselor came out of the office with Justin. Brian took Bree’s suitcase and they walked to the building where Bree would be bunking with five other girls.



*****



Meanwhile a few miles away, John and Bobby had just ended their ride to the baseball camp. Patrick had chattered the whole way, asking Bobby for advice about how to handle double plays and which pitches to use when he got his chance to pitch. They checked in and carried Patrick’s bag to the bunkhouse which he would share with five other boys.



*****



Bree claimed her bunk and they set her suitcase at the foot of the bed. She smiled happily at her fathers as the counselor told them about how the week would run. The parents were invited up the following weekend for a soccer game. Brian and Justin promised to be there. Brian checked on how Bree could get in touch with them if anything went wrong or if his daughter needed him. Then she was all checked in and it was time to leave her.



*****



Patrick took his assigned bunk and they laid his duffel bag at the foot of it. Patrick listened solemnly to the counselor who told them about the activities and workings of the camp. Parents were invited to a baseball game the following weekend. Bobby and John explained that they were going to be in New York, but that John’s brother would attend the game if it didn’t interfere with events at his daughter’s soccer camp. They were assured that many parents had children in both camps and they scheduled the games so that they would not overlap. Patrick was told that he could call Uncle Brian or Uncle Justin if he needed anything. Then Patrick was all checked in and it was time to leave.



*****



As they were about to leave the bunkhouse, another little girl entered with her mother and father. They took the bunk next to Bree’s and the counselor with them began to explain what had just been told to the Taylor-Kinney family.

Bree smiled at the little girl. “Hi, I’m Bree. I sleep in here too. I’ll be right back,” she said cheerily.

“I’m Meghan. I just got here,” the little dark haired girl replied.

The parents smiled at each other and then Bree walked with her dads out to the car.

“I love you, Daddy,” Bree said as Justin bent down for a hug. “I’ll be fine.”

“I know, sweetheart,” Justin said as he kissed her cheek.

“I love you, Dada,” Bree assured her father as they hugged. “You’ll be fine. I’ll be back home real soon.”

Brian snorted, but his voice seemed to have vanished. He couldn’t get any words to come out, so he just hugged his daughter harder.

“You havta let me go, Dada. I need to go back to the bunkhouse.”

Brian shook his head, but he managed to get his arms to release her.

“Bye, Daddy, Dada, I’ll see you next weekend,” Bree said and then she skipped off towards her bunkhouse.

“Fuck!” Brian muttered.

“Come on, big guy. We need to go home,” Justin said.

“So my other child can leave me too.”

“I’m driving,” Justin declared taking the keys out of Brian’s hand.

“Why?”

“I don’t like the prospect of you driving into a tree.”

Brian snorted, but he didn’t argue as he got into the passenger seat.



*****



“Hi,” a little boy said as he came into the bunkhouse with his parents and a counselor. “My name’s Jed.”

“Hi, Jed,” Patrick replied. “I’m Patrick and these are my dads.”

Jed frowned at that statement but didn’t say anything more. His parents nodded to John and Bobby and then walked with the counselor to Jed’s assigned bed next to Patrick’s.

“We better get going,” Bobby said. “We have a long trip to New York once we get home.”

They walked out to John’s Navigator.

“I love you, Dad,” Patrick said as he hugged his father.

“I love you right back,” John said. “Have a great time, and we’ll see you for your final game the weekend after next.”

“I hope my team will be the best,” Patrick said with a big smile. “Love you, Poppa,” he said as Bobby crushed him against his chest.

“You’re getting so big,” Bobby observed. “You’ll do great, and you’ll learn so much over the next two weeks. I’ll miss you … so much.”

“Me too, Poppa,” Patrick said as his father finally released him. “Have a great trip to New York.”

“We will, son,” John replied as they got into the Navigator.

“There he goes,” Bobby said as he turned to look out the back. Patrick was already running towards his bunkhouse. “I’m going to miss him a lot.”

“Me too,” John said as he headed the Navigator out of the parking lot.



*****



“Are you okay?” Justin asked as they were heading back to Edna’s Treasures.

Brian shrugged and didn’t answer.

Justin didn’t know what else to say, so the trip continued in silence.



*****



“Do you think Patrick will be okay?” John asked as they drove towards home.

“I think he’ll be great,” Bobby said.

“I’m really sorry we won’t be at his first game.”

“He knows we’d like to be there. And we’ll make sure we’re back in time for the final game.”

“Yeah,” John said.

“We’re going to have a great time in New York,” Bobby declared with a smile.

“How do you know that?”

“I know because I’ll be with you.”

John smiled a happy smile as they drove on.



*****



“Hi,” Bree said as she went back into the bunkhouse.

“Hi,” Meghan said. Her parents had just left and she was taking some clothes out of her suitcase to hang in the closet. Bree started doing the same thing. “Didn’t your mommy come with you?” she asked Bree.

“I don’t have a mommy,” Bree replied.

“You don’t?” Meghan said in surprise. “That’s awful.”

“No it’s not,” Bree contradicted. “I have two daddies instead.”

“Oh, how come?”

“I don’t know,” Bree said. “I just do.”

“Okay,” Meghan agreed. “Let’s go to the mess hall. They said there would be snacks.”

“Great!” Bree concurred. She held out her hand and Meghan placed hers in it. The two girls left the bunkhouse and headed over to the meeting place for all the girls attending the camp.



*****



“Hi,” Patrick said to Jed as he reentered the bunkhouse.

Jed was hanging up some clothes, his parents having left already. “Hey,” Jed said. He frowned and looked at Patrick. “Did you say you have two dads … you know, before?”

“Yeah, that’s what I said,” Patrick replied. He could feel himself tensing up. He didn’t like it when people made comments about his fathers.

“How come?”

“I just do.”

“Oh,” Jed said. “Want to get something to drink?”

“Yeah.”

“Let’s go.”

The two boys headed out to the area beside the office where a table was set up with fruit juice and cookies.



*****



“Boys!” John called out as he and Bobby walked through the front door of Edna’s Treasures. “You ready?”

Loud feet came scurrying out of Gus’ room toward the front door. Bobby and John saw the mountain of bags and suitcases piled high waiting to be loaded into the Navigator.

“Are we going to fit all this stuff and still have room for the boys?” Bobby teased.

“I hope so. If not, Brian can ship the rest.”

“Did someone say my name in vain?” Brian snarked as he and Justin joined the party by their door.

“Yes, your lordship,” John snarked back. “We can use your help with your son’s bags.”

“And risk ruining my manicure?” Brian asked arching a brow as he buffed his nails against his t-shirt.

“Perhaps you’d like to drive your own son to New York?” John scowled at his brother, arching his own brow. Brian looked at his brother then at Justin and Bobby who snickered. The boys wisely remained quiet.

“So is the back open?” Brian asked innocently, grabbing several bags then heading out the door toward the Navigator. The guys cracked up as they all grabbed bags then followed Brian out. Within twenty minutes the Navigator was packed to the gills and the guys were ready to go.

“Sonny Boy,” Brian said in a low voice. Gus sidled up to his father before getting into the SUV. Brian hugged him, bussing the side of Gus’ head. “I’ve gotten used to you being around. Gotten used to having your boyfriend here too,” Brian said as he reached out to ruffle Ray’s hair.

“I’m going to miss you too, Pop,” Gus said as he hugged back.

“Behave yourself,” Brian said as he opened the Navigator door for Gus and Ray. They had just enough room to squeeze themselves into the back seat.

“I will, Pop.”

“Remember, you’re not only representing Kinnetik, you’re representing me. Pay attention to Stacey. They do things a little differently in New York. Make sure you take your cues from her. No grand standing.” Brian shook a finger at his son.

“I will.”

“Ray, do me a favor,” Brian began as he leaned into the SUV. “Keep an eye on him for me.”

“I will and thank you so much for having me. I had a great time.”

“We loved having you here too,” Justin said as he stuck his head under Brian’s arm to peer into the back. “Call us when you get to your house.”

“We will,” the boys said. Brian shut the door then went around to the driver’s side.

“Hey, drive carefully and have a good time. Don’t burn up the sheets too much at your hotel.”

“I’m sure with the whole house to yourself, we won’t be the only one burning up sheets,” John replied. “You’ll be there at Patrick’s first game?”

“We will, I promise. We have the schedule of all the games. Between the two of us, we should make all of them,” Brian promised his brother.

“My mother said she might try to get to one or two as well,” John added with a smile.

“My parents are looking forward to it,” Bobby said with pride. In spite of his dad’s busy schedule when Bobby was a kid, Dr. Dan made most of his games as well.

“We should get going. As it is we’re going to hit rush hour traffic,” John said. Brian tapped the roof of the SUV a couple of times just before John pulled away from the curb. Within minutes they were down the lane heading for the gate.

“That’s that,” Justin said as he leaned up to kiss Brian’s cheek then headed back into the cottage. Brian stared at the quiet empty lane for a few more minutes then slowly walked inside.



*****



“She’ll be back in two weeks. Why don’t you stop by the following Monday and then we can set up a schedule. I may not be here all the time but Brian should be. Bree’s looking forward to it. She’s been practicing her fingering every day. Yes, she is very serious. Okay, we’ll see you then. Bye, Faith.”

“Who was that?” Brian asked as he walked through the cottage door.

“Faith, the piano teacher. I set up a visit for when Bree gets back from camp. Will you be around to supervise?”

“I should be. Where are you planning to be?”

“My Then and Now show will be opening in a few weeks. I’ll be spending more time in the Pitts soon. Are you all right with that?”

“Just peachy,” Brian scowled. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist.

“You’ll be fine, big guy. I have confidence in you.” Brian kissed the top of Justin’s head. “You hungry? I’ll make us lunch.” Brian smiled.

“Yeah, I’m hungry, Sunshine, but not for food.” Justin smiled into Brian’s chest.

“Come on then, let’s feed you,” Justin said as he took Brian’s hand then led him to their bedroom.



*****



“Mr. Todd? Mr. Schmidt is on the phone,” Jasmine, the garden center counter person told Todd as he was huddled over his computer keyboard trying to decipher his ledger.

“Mr. Schmidt?” Todd asked as he looked up. A light bulb went off when Todd finally recognized the name. “Oh, Ted. Okay, thanks, Jasmine.” Jasmine smiled as she left Todd’s office to go back to the counter.

“Hey, Todd, how’s it going?” Ted automatically asked as Todd came onto the line.

“It’s not. I think I’ve made a big mistake moving here and taking over this business.”

“W-why?” Ted stammered. “What makes you say that? Your early numbers showed so much promise.” Ted was taken aback and beginning to worry. Brian was almost never wrong when it came to his business ventures. And it was at Ted’s glowing recommendations that Brian pursued the garden center. Ted began to sweat.

“Ted, are you still there?” Todd asked.

“Y-yes, I’m still here.” Ted gulped then took a deep breath. “Can you be more specific regarding your reservations?” At Ted’s urging, Todd revealed all his concerns.  “You sound exhausted,” Ted said gently.

“I’ve never been this tired. Not even when I was a fixture in the backroom,” Todd retorted in a self deprecating tone.

“Have you spoken to Brian yet?”

“Not yet.”

“Why not?”

“He scares me,” Todd admitted.

“Yeah, he scares me too. But forgiveness is easier to get than permission.”

“In other words I better call him … and now.”

“Good idea,” Ted agreed then hung up to allow Todd to follow through.



*****



“Another good one, Sunshine,” Brian said with a groan as he rolled off Justin to catch his breath. Justin grunted as he stretched out the kinks then rolled onto his back.

“Yeah,” Justin murmured in assent.

“We have two whole weeks of fucking wherever and whenever we want,” Brian said with a satisfied smirk.

“True, but that might get a little dull after a while.”

“Never. My life is never dull with you,” Brian admitted in an emotional moment as he leaned over to give Justin a kiss.

“You always know what to say,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips. As Justin began to nibble on Brian’s lips, Brian’s phone began to ring. “Don’t answer it,” Justin whispered as he tried to suck on Brian’s tongue.

“Hold that thought, Sunshine; it might be the camp,” Brian grumbled as he leaned over the edge of the bed to search his pants that were on the floor. Not immediately recognizing the number, Brian was a little annoyed at the interruption. “What?” Brian growled.

“Brian, it’s Todd. We really have to talk.”

“Go on.” Brian heard the stress in Todd’s voice.

“Can we meet?”

“Sure, but why don’t you just tell me what’s wrong,” Brian insisted. Brian could hear Todd sigh.

“I’m about to disappoint you, Brian.”

“How? Did the mayor’s wife renege on her bill?”

“No. On the contrary, many of her friends have called to book consultations.”

“So what’s the problem? I told you that you’d be swimming in business,” Brian said as Justin rested his chin on Brian’s chest. The deep blues eyes were intensely watching Brian’s face.

“Drowning is a better word. I can’t keep up. I haven’t been able to review my books. I have no idea what stock to order and I haven’t had a day off in weeks. I want to go back to Chicago.”

“So the bottom boy is ready to quit and run,” Brian said in a low cold tone. “You never struck me as a quitter. You had plenty of stamina in the old days. What changed?”

“I...you have no right...”

“I have every right and I’ll exercise it in about an hour,” Brian snarled then snapped his phone shut. He took a couple of deep breaths then sat up. “Do you have time to come with me to the garden center? Todd is having a crisis.”

“I heard. Sure, I’ll come with you. I always come with you,” Justin said smiling, trying to lighten the tension. “But what can I do? I don’t know a thing about landscaping,” Justin said as they hustled into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

“You can keep me from killing Todd,” Brian growled as he turned on the water for their shower.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 8





“Good afternoon, Danny,” Riley said as he walked into the bookstore.

“Ah, a face from the recent past,” Danny said with a quizzical look on his face. “Let me see. I should be able to put a name to it. Ronald? Reginald? No, none of those. I do believe it’s Riley.”

Riley laughed and shook his head. “I’m sorry I’ve been MIA,” he said. “The symphony was playing in Cleveland on the weekend, and I went with them to make sure the pianos were tuned.”

“A likely story,” Danny said batting his eyelashes at Riley. They lost something in the translation from the long false ones that he wore as Divina Devore.

“Are you mad at me?” Riley asked with a frown.

“No, I’m teasing,” Danny chuckled. “There is a difference, in case you hadn’t noticed.”

“I know you have a wicked sense of humor, and that’s just one of the many things I like about you. But I don’t always know when you are employing that sense of humor. You keep such a straight face…”

“Whoa, go back to the part about that being one of many things you like about me. I won’t even comment on the straight crack. It’s irrelevant in light of the other comment.”

Riley shook his head. “Are you kidding now?’

“But of course, mon cheri.”

“It will take me years to figure you out.”

“No, it’s not possible to figure me out,” Danny corrected. “I can’t even figure myself out.”

“Then get me a coffee and today’s newspaper before my head explodes,” Riley ordered.

“I’d be happy to,” Danny said coyly. “We are here to serve.”

“And then you’re coming to dinner with me,” Riley added.

“I am?”

“Yes.”

“It’s a date,” Danny replied cheerfully. “I thought you’d never ask.”

Riley slumped down into a chair and wondered what the hell he had got himself into with Danny Devore.



*****



“Todd!” Brian called as he walked into the garden center. Justin was close behind him.

“He’s in his office,” Jasmine said as Brian walked decisively past her and entered the office at the back.

“What the fuck is going on, Todd?” Brian demanded as he saw his target sitting at his desk.

“I knew you were going to blow a gasket,” Todd said dejectedly. “I can’t do this. I’m totally out of my depth. I want out.”

“When did you become a quitter?” Brian said through gritted teeth. There was only one thing Brian hated more than a quitter, and that was a whiner. Todd was verging on both.

“I … I really thought this business could succeed. It seemed like it was everything I wanted,” Todd said sadly.

“It can succeed,” Brian ranted. “But success doesn’t just happen. You have to work at it … and work at it hard!”

“I’ve been working sixteen hour days, for fuck sake!” Todd retorted. “Don’t talk to me about working hard. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, while you’ve been sitting at home on your fucking ass.” Todd regretted those words as soon as they were out of his mouth, but it was too late to take them back. He’d fucking stand by his words.

Brian smiled slightly. “I see you do have some spunk. I was beginning to doubt that you did.”

“What does spunk have to do with anything? I just told you that I can’t run this business.”

“Spunk has everything to do with being a success. Giving up has nothing to do with success. It’s one or the other. And I think you can be a success … if you have the spunk to take this on and master it.”

“But…” Todd began.

“It’s easy to quit. It’s not so easy to face the problem and fix it,” Justin said. He was very interested to watch Brian at work in a situation like this. This must be what he was like every day at Kinnetik. The power that oozed out of him was formidable.

“How can I fix this?” Todd asked after a pause to think about Justin’s words. “I’m so tired.”

“Did I not tell you to get Ted to help you with the paperwork?” Brian asked. Todd nodded. “Did you?”

“No,” Todd admitted.

“Why not?”

“I, um, thought I could do it myself. I wanted to prove to you…”

“That you don’t know when to ask for help? Well, it’s working really well for you so far, isn’t it?”

“A man should know when to ask for help,” Justin said with a smile, “to quote a famous American.”

Brian gave him a look, but didn’t comment. “Justin’s right. If you had asked Ted, he can supply you with software that will track what you order and what you’ve used of your inventory. He has other software for accounts receivable. And! He’ll show you how to use it. You don’t have to learn it all by yourself.”

“I … I didn’t want to bother him,” Todd said meekly.

“You aren’t bothering him. I hired Ted to look after my finances, and this business is part of my finances. It’s his job.”

“Okay, but even if I do that, I don’t have enough manpower for all the jobs that have come in from the Mayor’s garden project.”

“Hire someone,” Brian ordered.

“I think I need to hire about three people,” Todd replied.

Brian could see that Todd was beginning to think about solutions, not just problems. That was a good sign. “Have you advertised the jobs?’

“Yes, and I have ten applications, but I haven’t had time to…”

“You need to prioritize, Todd. Choose the most likely candidates,” Brian advised.

“But what if they’re no good? I know you want everything to be the best.”

“Start them off as helpers. Then they can advance as they prove themselves.”

“But I need three.”

Brian heaved a sigh. “Let’s start with two,” Brian said. “You take one to a job tomorrow and I’ll take the other to a different job.”

“Y…You?” Todd asked.

“I’m not above a little manual labor,” Brian said smugly. “And I happen to have some free time on my hands right at the moment.” He glanced over at Justin.

“Not too much free time,” Justin said with a wink.

Brian smiled and shook his head. “Which jobs should we tackle first?” Brian asked.

“These two,” Todd said holding out two papers towards Brian.

“Okay, pick the one you want, and I’ll take the other.”

Todd looked the pages over, and selected one.

“What about calling Ted?” Justin asked.

“Good idea,” Brian agreed. He opened his cell phone and hit the number for Ted.

“Yes, Boss,” Ted came on the line. “What can I do for you?”

“Can you leave Kinnetik and get over to the garden center?”

“Yeah, but it’ll take me a couple of hours,” Ted said. “What’s up?”

“Bring your simplest and best accounts receivable software, and we need something to track inventory at the garden center,” Brian advised.

“I’ll see what I can find. I may be able to download something from the internet.”

“Make it happen,” Brian ordered.

“I’m on it, Boss.”

Brian cut the connection. “Ted will be here soon to help you get your bookkeeping in order. You can have him for a couple of days,” Brian said. “I’ll see you in the morning. Call the two best applicants for the jobs you want to fill, and tell them to be here bright and early tomorrow morning.”

“I will,” Todd said.

“You can make this work, Todd. We can make this work. Do you still want to go back to Chicago?” Todd shook his head. “Good.” Brian turned to leave.

“Brian … thanks,” Todd said.

“Don’t thank me, just fix this mess. And next time let me know before things get so out of hand.”

“I will,” Todd called as Brian left the office.

“You were … magnificent in there,” Justin said as he took hold of Brian’s arm. “So masterful.”

“That’s me, masterful,” Brian joked.

“I mean it. You really turned me on with that display in there. Is that how you run things at Kinnetik?”

“Pretty much.”

“Take me home, you sexy devil,” Justin cooed as he got in the car.

“Happy to,” Brian said with a chuckle as he started the car.



*****



Justin masterfully distracted Brian for the next few hours until it was time to make dinner. Being a typical hot August day, the boys decided to grill outside and take advantage of the shaded areas of their garden. Since he was used to cooking ‘large’ to accommodate their family, Brian felt awkward scaling down for just the two of them. Beau received an extra treat as the result.

After dinner, Brian sequestered himself in his attic office. Ted had arrived at the garden center and was in the midst of installing the new accounting software onto Todd’s main computer. Ted and Todd discovered that Jasmine had a head for numbers and since she had been with the garden center for many years, she was quite familiar with its needs. Brian urged Todd to take advantage of the experts already at hand to assist him. For some reason Todd had gotten into his head that Brian wanted him to do it all. Both Brian and Ted assured Todd that wasn’t the case. Using Brian as an example, Todd now realized how much Brian delegated once he knew who his most trustworthy minions were. Todd began to breathe a little easier.

While his majesty was up in the office ruling his empire, Justin finished up the dinner dishes. He was experiencing a strange empty feeling inside that was making him restless. With his paintings and sketches all done for his Then and Now show, Justin found himself with nothing to do. Something he found a bit unsettling and that he had no explanation for.

Justin wandered the cottage, trying to focus and give a reason to his feelings. He walked through the sun porch. All was as it should be. Beau looked up from his pillow in the corner, watching his blond master. He sniffed the air as if sensing Justin’s uneasiness. Beau stood then walked over to give Justin a sniff and a lick as if to confirm his assessment. He stood on his hind paws placing his front paws on Justin’s shoulders. The weight of the great dog nearly toppled Justin over but he found his footing as Beau studied Justin’s face.

“I’m fine, Beau. Really. I think I miss Bree,” Justin said as the realization came to him. Beau gave him a slobber then quickly trotted off into their side of the cottage. While Justin washed off the doggy spit at the small sink in his corner of the porch, Beau came trotting back out with something in his mouth. He gently placed the ‘something’ on the floor then waited until Justin dried off his face and hands.

“Hey, Beau, what’s this?” Justin asked. Beau nudged the thing closer. Justin picked it up then smiled. It was Bree’s grey bunny. “Thank you, Beau,” Justin said, giving Beau’s head a pat and a scratch behind the ears. Beau wagged his tail, happy to be able to put a smile on this master’s face. Somehow the world always looked brighter to Beau when his blond master smiled.

Beau gave a little bark in acknowledgment then took off through the doorway on the Anderson-Morrison side of the porch. Moments later, Justin saw Beau out in the yard ready to begin his patrol.

Even though Beau had everything under control, Justin felt compelled to inspect the rest of the cottage. He went through the door, stepping into John and Bobby’s kitchen. Justin checked the stove and pulled the plug on any appliance that didn’t need to be plugged in. John and Bobby had left him very little to do, but Justin decided to check through their cottage anyway.

Justin stopped at the fireplace to admire all the framed photos that the men had placed in honor on the mantle. There were dozens of pictures of their ever growing family. Many of which brought smiles and a few laughs to Justin as he was reminded of the circumstances surrounding the picture. One picture brought a sad smile; it was of the four of them with Edna Galloway. The elegant woman who had befriended them in South America when they were on the trail of Kinney and Patrick. The lady for whom their cottage was named. Justin said some silent words of thanks to her as he replaced the picture on the mantle. With his inspection complete, Justin went back toward his side of the cottage. Hearing Brian still on the phone, deep into his conference, Justin settled onto a chaise in the porch with a sketch pad and began to draw his memories of Edna.

A few hours later, Brian sauntered down the stairs. He had a satisfied gleam in his eyes. His conference with Todd and Ted went well. Ted enjoyed his feeling of superiority when it came to his prowess with the new program and in his accounting abilities at large. Brian silently indulged him as thanks and acknowledgment of a job well done. Brian offered him a bed for the night instead of driving all the way to the Pitts. Ted tactfully declined stating he had the key to Emmett’s cottage. But he’d be by in the morning to go back to the garden center with Brian.

Todd came away with a new sense of purpose and confidence. When observed by more objective eyes, Todd wasn’t in as much trouble as he had imagined. Brian read the email he received from the Mayor and husband of Todd’s number one client. The Mayor had sent his comments to Brian rather than Todd, as a postscript to his email regarding the new schools that the Anderson Construction company was completing. The Mayor was grateful to Brian for introducing his wife to Todd and the All Things Happy Garden Center. While initially the mayor’s wife had some misgivings regarding the color scheme for her “seaside” garden, once the blooms opened in earnest, the full effect was achieved. His wife and longtime mate was completely thrilled which made the Mayor a very happy camper. Todd thanked Brian and was ready to get back to work. Brian recommended a good night’s sleep and ordered the man NOT to get to the center before eight the next morning. Todd agreed and they concluded their call.

“Hey Sunshine,” Brian called out softly as he saw Justin on the chaise. He stopped when he realized that Justin had fallen asleep, his sketch askew in his hand and Bree’s grey bunny on his lap. Brian smiled at the picture of beauty and innocence before him. Brian stood watching, reveling in his number one guilty pleasure. Justin stirred, stretching out the kinks as he woke up.

“Hey,” Justin said with his special smile he gave to only Brian.

“Hey,” Brian replied as he sat on the side of the lounger. “Whatcha drawing?” Justin handed Brian his pad. “Edna,” Brian stated. “I miss that old broad.”

“You miss trying to drink her under the table,” Justin smirked.

“I never could win a drinking contest with her. What made you decide to draw her now?”

“Not sure. I was checking on the guys’ cottage and saw a few of her pictures on their mantle. I just got it in my head to draw her. She was so important to us and she helped us keep Kinney’s legacy alive.”

“That she did. She also helped us find some of your long lost family. I think it’s time we invite John Patrick and his family up here for a visit. Maybe for the holidays.”

“Really? I’m not sure if they could afford to send the whole family.”

“Then we can help. It’s been a hell of a long time since Katerina has seen her brother and parents. I think it’s time, don’t you?” Justin nodded. “Speaking about long lost relatives, have you decided what you’re going to do about Candy?”

“Yeah. It’s wrong to condemn her for what her father is. I’m going to try to sponsor her if I can. She shows a lot of promise.”

“And if she turns out to have inherited her father’s attitudes…?” Brian said with an arch of his brow.

“If I can’t bring her back from the dark side then I’ll cut my losses and move on. There are other promising artists I can help along.”

“Yes, there are. I’m proud of you, Sunshine.”

“Yeah?” Justin looked into Brian’s face with love and admiration. For a moment Brian saw that seventeen year old who had the worst case of hero worship the planet had ever seen.

“Yeah,” Brian replied as he swept a lock of golden hair from Justin’s eyes. Brian fell in love all over again. He leaned over to give Justin a kiss. Beau came into the porch, finished with his appointed rounds. “All good out there, Beau?” Brian asked the large wolf-like dog when he released Justin's lips.

Beau barked in affirmation then went to take a good long drink from his bowl.

“Well, now that all is right in the world, let’s say we hit the hay. I have a funny feeling I’m going to need all my strength tomorrow,” Brian said with a smirk, taking Justin’s hand. He hoisted Justin up to his feet with a mighty grunt. “I have a feeling I’m going to be doing a lot of that tomorrow too.”

“More of what?” Justin asked with curiosity.

“Grunting,” Brian deadpanned, making Justin laugh.

“How about I give you something else to grunt at,” Justin crooned with a waggle of his eyebrows.

Brian grabbed Justin’s wrist and quickly hustled his mate to their bedroom. Justin laughed loudly all the way.



*****



They were standing by the koi pond in Danny’s secret garden.

“This was hidden back here all the time?” Riley asked the man at his side.

“Yes. The former owners never knew it was here. They were having financial problems so gardening was the last thing on their minds. I gave them a good price for the house and land which allowed them to do what they needed to do. But I think I got the better of the bargain. Jennifer Taylor was the realtor. Jennifer Harris I should say.”

“Justin’s mother?”

“The very same. She got into real estate when her first marriage broke up. The woman needed to earn a living.” Danny shrugged. “She’s helped many in the family find their dream home, including the land that Edna’s Treasures is sitting on.”

“Maybe I should consult her. I think I’ve been in my apartment too long.” Danny gave Riley a poignant look. “No, it’s not the same one I shared with Tony. The lease was in his name; after he died I was forced to move. But I wasn’t very choosey. I didn’t care where I was as long as it had running water, four walls and a roof.”

Danny was tempted to put his foot in his mouth and invite Riley to live with him, but Danny knew it was way too early for that. Instead, Danny took Riley’s hand to give him the guided tour of the secret garden in full bloom. Danny had John and his crew install solar lampposts along the path, high enough to light their way but nestled under the trees so that the light wouldn’t disturb neighbors.

“It’s so peaceful; I love it out here,” Danny commented as he inhaled the fragrant flowers and herbs. “Beautiful,” Danny sighed as he bent to smell a patch of lavender.

“I agree,” Riley murmured as he took Danny’s hand then tugged him upright and into his arms, planting a deep kiss onto Danny’s lips.



*****



A quiet sniffle woke the other girl in the bunk. A shuffle of feet then the little girl patted the arm of the crying child.

“You miss your mommy and daddy?” Bree asked Meghan.

“Yeah,” Meghan said with a few more sniffles.

“They’re coming to our games, right?” Meghan nodded in the dim light of their cabin. All the bunkhouses had small nightlights near each set of bunks. “Our first game is in two days; you’ll see them soon,” Bree said logically. Meghan seemed to stop sniffling. “Do you want me to sleep with you? Cause I don’t mind. I always sleep with my grey bunny but I had to leave him at home. My Gamma Joan gave me my grey bunny and he always makes me happy.”

As Meghan contemplated about the girl with two daddies, a gamma and a grey bunny, she moved over to make room for Bree. Bree joined Meghan under the covers, patted her hand then settled down for the night. Soon the two little girls were fast asleep.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 9






“That was delicious,” John said as he pushed his chair back just a fraction from the dinner table.

“I’m glad you decided to stay for dinner,” Ken said. “We were hoping you would.”

“I don’t know how we could have even thought about missing this feast,” Bobby said with a grin. “You are a damn fine cook, Ken.”

“That’s just one of his many exceptional talents,” Simon piped up.

“Thank you, darling,” Ken replied batting his eyelashes and hamming it up.

“Puke City,” Jeffrey replied. He was home for dinner too.

“Pulleeez,” Ken replied, “we are allowed to make goo-goo eyes whenever we choose. We’re in our own home.”

“Do you have any idea what it’s like living with two gay men?” Jeffrey asked John.

“Yes I do. We live, more or less, with my brother and Justin, as you know,” John reminded Jeff.

“Oh, yeah, right,” Jeff replied sheepishly. “I forgot about that.”

“And we happen to be two gay men who live together ourselves,” Bobby added giving John a gentle squeeze to the back of his neck.

“Sorry, guys,” Jeff said.

“Your reaction was that of a young man seeing his parents being affectionate with each other,” Simon told his son philosophically. “It embarrasses the hell out of their kids, straight or gay.”

“Um,” Gus said, “I don’t get embarrassed by Pop and Justin … most of the time.”

“That’s because neither of them are into public displays,” Bobby explained.

“Except at Babylon,” John added. “There have been a few times I’m sure they’ve embarrassed you there. Hell, they embarrass me. The way people react…”

“Yeah, well, they don’t go there much anymore,” Gus admitted, remembering more than one time that the two men had caused a sensation.

“I bet they put on quite the show when they were younger,” Ken interjected.

“They still put on quite a show when they want to,” Ray said. “Remember that time…”

“Um, let’s not bring that up,” Gus interrupted.

“I thought they didn’t embarrass you,” Simon said with a chuckle.

“I did say most of the time,” Gus corrected with an embarrassed chuckle.

“Have you noticed how we always end up talking about those two?” Ken asked.

“They are a source of endless fascination,” Simon said.

“So what have you guys got planned for your stay in New York?” Jeff asked, deciding he might like another topic of conversation better.

“We’re going to play it by ear,” Bobby said.

“If you like Old Masters art, you should go to the Frick. It’s amazing,” Simon said.

“It’s Justin who’s the artist,” John said.

“That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy fine art,” Simon countered.

“True,” John said thoughtfully. “I hear you’ve got a small part in a play, Jeff.”

“Yes, off-off-off Broadway, meaning we’re actually in Newark,” he laughed.

“Maybe Bobby and I should come see it.”

“Okay,” Jeff replied. “I could get you some tickets.”

“We want to pay for them,” Bobby stated firmly. “I think productions that far off Broadway could use all the income they can get.”

“Yeah,” Jeff said with a smile. “I’ll get the tickets and you can pay me back … if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all.”

“Do you start your internship at N’rgy tomorrow, Gus?” Bobby asked.

“Yeah, I popped in and told Stacey I was here. I start in the morning.”

“And thanks for giving that internship to Ray,” Ken said. “He’s told us over and over again how much he enjoyed it.”

“You may have a budding lawyer on your hands,” Bobby laughed.

“That career change is just fine with me,” Simon said reassuringly. He looked at Ray trying to convey his sincerity.

“I still intend to take over the business from you, Dad, but maybe not for a few more years,” Ray informed his father.

“You take your time, and be sure of what you want to do. There’s no rush.”

“I know.”

Simon smiled at his son. “Have you two got yourselves sorted out in the bedroom?” he asked looking from Ray to Gus.

“Um, if you mean closet space, yeah,” Gus said with a smirk so much like his father’s.

“Yes, that was what I meant,” Simon said trying not to blush. “What else could I, um, have possibly meant?”

“I think you’re the one who’s embarrassed now, Dad,” Jeff piped in. “Grown-ups!”

They all had a good laugh over that.



*****



“I wonder how Bree’s doing?” Brian said as he lay staring at the ceiling. They’d had some awesome sex, leaving the bedroom door open, something they never did when Bree was home. They had joked about whether Beau was out in the sun porch with his paws over his ears. Justin was on the verge of sleep, but Brian couldn’t seem to settle.

“She’s probably already sound asleep,” Justin replied sleepily.

“I hope so. I don’t want her to be scared.”

“She’ll be fine. We’ve raised a confident, independent little girl.”

“You make it sound like we’re finished. We have more to do when she comes home, don’t we?”

“Don’t be surprised if she needs us less when she gets back,” Justin advised. “A little independence and there’s no going back.”

“Shit!” Brian said. He shook his head. He didn’t like this at all. He wanted his little girl back home, just the way she was when she left.

“Brian, it’s inevitable.”

“But I don’t want it to be. I want our little girl back.”

“She’ll always be our little girl, but we have to let her grow up and be what she’s meant to be.”

“Don’t bullshit me, you miss her as much as I do,” Brian stated with a glare that Justin couldn’t see in the dark room.

“I never said I didn’t miss her.”

“Good, because I know you do.”

“Today…”

“What?” Brian asked when Justin didn’t complete the sentence.

“When you found me asleep on the chaise … with Bree’s grey bunny. That was because I wandered through the house missing her. Beau brought me the bunny. Somehow he knew I was missing her.”

“Beau’s a very smart dog,” Brian said rolling onto his side and touching Justin’s cheek. “I’m glad you miss her as much as I do.”

“You just want me to be miserable like you are,” Justin laughed.

“Misery loves company, or so they say.”

“Yeah, they do say that,” Justin chuckled.

“Shit! I wish I felt sleepy. I have to get up and hoe some gardens in the morning,” Brian said as he flopped onto his back.

Justin chuckled. “You’ll be able to do it, big guy.”

“I fucking better be able. I can’t say I’m looking forward to manual labor.”

“Just think about all those calories you’ll be burning.”

“Thousands,” Brian said with a little laugh.

“And maybe I’ll even have some ice cream kisses waiting for you when you get home,” Justin promised.

“Don’t expect me to be able to get anything up, including my fucking arm.”

Justin laughed heartily at that. After a minute he said, “I have an idea. Let’s go sleep on the sun porch.”

“Why?”

“Because we can.”

“Okay,” Brian agreed. He obviously wasn’t going to get any sleep where he was.

“Let’s go.”

They quickly made up the big brass bed while Beau watched them from his doggie cushion across the porch. They finally crawled into the bed and lay down staring up at the stars far above them.

“It’s as beautiful out here as it always has been,” Brian said softly.

“More beautiful,” Justin said letting his fingers find Brian’s. They entwined together.

Each of them drew in a deep breath and started to relax. A minute later they felt something fall onto the bed.

“What was that?” Brian asked.

Justin sat up and looked down the bed. “Bree’s grey bunny just hopped into bed with us.” Justin grabbed the bunny and set it in between them.

“Thanks, Beau,” Brian said.

The big dog gave a little woof and lay down beside the bed. He was feeling a little lonely too, with more than half his family missing. He felt Brian’s hand drop over the side of the bed and give his head a rub. Then they all quieted down and slept.



*****



“Is that what you’re wearing?” Ray asked Gus as they were about to get breakfast. It was Gus’ first day at N’rgy as an intern.

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Gus asked as he looked down at his clothes. His clothes were neat, clean, wrinkle free but perhaps a bit too casual for a high powered business like Kinnetik N’rgy.

“Umm, Stacey and my dad dress up a little more than that,” Ray grimaced. “I don’t want to criticize but Stacey’s really picky, even the artists dress up.” Ray was hoping Gus would take the hint.

“But this is New York City, the home of business casual!” Gus said loudly, swinging his arms.

“Yes, this is New York and no, unless it’s office policy or you work in retail, most offices require a suit and tie.”

“But...”

“Gus, N’rgy is right downstairs. I see them come and go practically every day. The only time Stacey is ever in anything other than her suit is when she’s working on Sunday. And even then she’s neat enough to dine a client.”

“Shit. So are you saying I should go in there wearing my suit?”

“Your dad packed your suits for a reason.”

“Fuck!” Gus muttered curses as he began to undress. “I wanted to have breakfast with you guys. I won’t have time!” Gus was frantically digging into his suit bag and duffle bags trying to find the right shoes to go with his suit.

“I’ll make you a breakfast sandwich. You have time for that,” Ray said as he walked out of his room.

“Yeah,” Gus grumbled.

“Where’s Gus?” Kenny asked his son. “He doesn’t want to be late on his first day. Stacey’s meeting with a new account this morning. It’s a breakfast meeting and I know she’s down there already. She’ll need someone to help set up.”

“He’s changing,” Ray explained as he put something together for Gus to wolf down.

“Changing? Into what?”

“A suit. He was a bit too casual before. Dad, I gotta bring this to him,” Ray said as he waved the sandwich in the air.

“Go on, tell him to hurry up. I’ll go on down to help.”

“Thanks, Dad.” Ray gave his father a peck on the cheek before running back to his room.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Ken muttered to himself as he shouted goodbye to the apartment at large then left for N’rgy.

“Dad, I’m going to the theater!” Jeff shouted, getting a quick “Be careful!” in return from his other father just before he slammed the front door behind him. Simon was close behind, grabbing a few real estate catalogues before heading down to his office.

“Gus, you have to go now!” Ray commanded.

“Fuckin’ tie! I can’t get it right.” Gus was now in panic mode.

“Gus, my dad is downstairs, he’ll fix the tie. Just get going!”

“Oh fucking hell,” Gus grumbled as he ran to the door with the tie in his hand and the sandwich in his mouth.

“Gus!” Ray yelled before Gus made it to the landing outside the apartment door.

“What?!” Gus mumbled around his sandwich.

“Good luck,” Ray said softly, removing the sandwich from Gus’ mouth before planting a kiss on his lips. “You’ll be fine,” Ray smiled. Gus took a deep breath trying to center himself, before he popped the sandwich back into his mouth then sprinted down the stairs to N’rgy.

“Whoa! Slow down there, pardner,” Ken called out as he intercepted Gus just before he was about to enter the main door to N’rgy.

“Mr. Mann, I’m gonna be late,” Gus whined breathlessly.

“It’s Uncle Ken when we’re outside the N’rgy office and no, you won’t. Let’s just fix you up a little,” Ken said as he took the tie out of Gus’ hand then draped it around Gus’ neck to tie it. “I want you to take a few deep breaths before we go inside. Address Stacey as Ms. Manning,” Ken counseled as he gave Gus’ suit a dusting.

“But I know her.”

“You know her as your dad’s employee. Now she’s going to be your boss. It’s Ms. Manning until she tells you otherwise.”

“You sound like my father.”

“Thank you, and that’s because I am a father and I admire yours very much. Gus, we all want you to succeed. Now are you ready?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Deep breaths,” Ken said as he inhaled and exhaled along with Gus. “Okay, let’s go,” Ken said as he opened the main door and guided Gus inside.



*****



“Good morning,” a morning husky voice said as a tall handsome figure entered the kitchen. “Coffee?”

“Yes, please,” the man said with a pleasant smile as he reached for the cup.

“I hope that smile is for me and not just for my coffee.”

The man laughed. “Yes, you have a lot to do with this smile. A hell of a lot to do with this smile. I’m afraid to admit that I haven’t had much reason to smile in a very long time.”

“Then I’m happy to oblige and I do hope this isn’t a one time thing. I’m a bit too old for one night stands.”

“Danny, I have to be honest, I’m not sure if I have another commitment in me. When I met Tony, I firmly believed he was my life.”

“I’m not here to replace someone who is irreplaceable, but there’s no rule that I know of that says you can’t fall in love more than once in your life. I only ask that you give us a real chance. Don’t make any decisions now. Just know that I haven’t felt this good in a long time,” Danny said. “You have very talented fingers. Must be all that piano playing,” Danny said with a grin.

Riley smiled broadly. “And you have talents that I just can’t describe,” he stated putting his coffee down on the table then putting his arms around Danny’s waist. “You are a fine figure of a man,” Riley whispered as he kissed Danny.

“I try to maintain my girlish figure,” Danny teased with a coquette smile. “I’m serious, Riley, I have no expectations other than two mature men becoming friends and maybe a little more than friends.”

Riley nodded.

“Hungry?” Danny asked. Riley nodded again. They had both worked up a good appetite. “Good, I love to cook. So how about I rustle us up some breakfast?”

“I thought Brian was the only one in this family that did the rustling.”

“Nah, but we all let him think it,” Danny chuckled. “But don’t tell anyone I said that,” Danny added quickly then got back to making their breakfast. Riley picked up his coffee cup, stepping out of the way to let Danny rustle.



*****



“Good morning, Mr. Kinney,” Stacey addressed Gus a bit curtly as she checked her watch.

“Good morning, Sta...uh, Ms. Manning,” Gus replied as he stuck out his hand. “Thank you for letting me intern here this month,” Gus said, turning on the Kinney charm.

“Don’t thank me yet, you’ve only just walked through the door. Please follow me; we have a client coming in less than an hour.”

Stacey led Gus to the main conference room. The caterers were there setting up breakfast as Ken was bringing in display easels and foamcore boards.

“Mr. Kinney...”

“Gus, please. Mr. Kinney is my dad.”

“Yes, he is. All right, Gus. Please set up the boards; they’re all numbered. It’s imperative that each easel hold a specific set of boards and that each set is in sequence,” Stacy ordered.

“Right away, Ms. Manning,” Gus responded with confidence. “Piece of cake,” he muttered to himself.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 10






“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he hit the alarm button. He had gotten used to sleeping as long as he wanted in the morning, or at least until Bree woke them up. He liked waking up when he wanted. This morning was different, however. He was going to the garden center to meet one of the applicants for a job at the center. Then he was going to supervise this guy all day, and probably help him shovel manure and cut lawns. As much as Brian liked gardening, he liked doing it in his own gardens, on his own time, for as long or as little as he liked. This was going to be different.

“It’s okay, big guy,” Justin said rolling towards him. “I’ll make you some breakfast while you shower.”

“I don’t see the point of showering. I’m going to be smelly and sweaty by the time our first job of the day is fifteen minutes old,” Brian griped.

“Yum, just the way I like you,” Justin laughed.

“You are so fucking weird.”

“I know, but you love me anyway.”

“Always, Sunshine.”

“Go shower, and I’ll start breakfast.”

“I have time for a shower with you,” Brian said with a suggestive waggle of his eyebrows.

“Then let’s get it on,” Justin said with a swish of his bum. “Time’s a-wasting, and I wouldn’t want you to be late on your first day of hard labor.”

“Twat!” Brian chuckled as he followed his husband into the bathroom.



*****



“Rise and shine, campers!” Chris, the counselor, called from the doorway of the bunkhouse.

“Hi,” Meghan said as her eyes fluttered open and she looked at Bree who had been sleeping beside her.

“Good morning,” Bree replied formally as she stretched and started to realize where she was.

“Thanks for sleeping with me last night. I was scared,” Meghan admitted.

“Me too,” Bree agreed in a soft voice that only Meghan would be able to hear. “Just a little bit,” she added.

“Twenty minutes till breakfast,” Chris told the bunkhouse of girls once she was sure everyone was awake.

The girls started to stir, dropping down from the upper bunks and throwing back the covers of the lower ones. Everyone looked around unsure how to proceed. Most of them were not used to dressing in front of other people. Nobody seemed to know what to do.

“I need to wash my face and brush my teeth,” Meghan whispered as she and Bree each sat on one side of the narrow bed.

“I need to pee,” Bree giggled.

“Yeah, that too.”

“Let’s get dressed first,” Bree suggested. Some of the girls were already occupying the bathroom and the extra sink that was in the main part of the cabin.

“Yeah,” Meghan agreed pulling some shorts and a top from her suitcase.

Bree watched and then shook her head. Meghan was nice but she didn’t have much of a fashion sense. Bree walked over to Meghan’s suitcase and pulled out another top that would go much better with the shorts she had chosen.

“Thanks,” Meghan said as she accepted Bree’s choice and put the other top back into the case. “My mommy usually picks out my clothes every day.”

“My Dada helps me sometimes, but mostly I do it myself,” Bree said as she scanned the suitcase full of pink and purple. Most of her shorts and tops would go with anything else in her wardrobe. Her Dada had advised her to pack things that went together. Bree knew her Dada was right. He usually was.

“Do you miss not having a mommy?” Meghan asked.

“Nope, I never had one so I don’t miss it,” Bree stated emphatically. “But I would like a sister who lived with me.”

“You don’t have a sister?” Meghan asked. “Neither do I.”

“I do have a sister, but she lives with her daddies right now.”

“Her daddies? But aren’t your daddies her daddies?”

“It’s cop-a-clated,” Bree said with a sigh.

“The bathroom’s free,” Meghan observed. “Grab it.”

“Thanks,” Bree replied as she raced towards the door, beating out another girl who was a step slower.



*****



“Not bad, Sunshine,” Brian said as he pushed his empty plate aside. Justin had made him sausage and eggs for breakfast. Brian had eaten it all, even against his better judgment. He knew he would probably burn it all off quite quickly while he worked.

“Thank you, m’lord,” Justin replied with a smile. “Would you care for seconds?” Justin’s fake British accent left something to be desired.

“I don’t believe I would. I have to haul my ass out of here in a couple of minutes,” Brian laughed.

“Then allow me to top up your coffee.”

“That would be lovely.” Brian watched as Justin filled his mug. “Do you think Bree’s doing all right?” he asked after a minute.

“I’m sure she’s just fine.”

“We should have got her a cell phone. She could have called us and we’d know for sure.”

“Brian, we decided she was too young for a cell phone,” Justin reminded his husband as he sat back down at the table with his own coffee.

“Yeah, but that was before she went away from home. She didn’t need one when she was here with us.”

Justin sighed as he studied his husband. “She’s only been gone for one night. I’m sure she’s having breakfast at camp right now, and laughing and talking with all the other girls.”

“You’re sure of that, are you?” Brian asked sarcastically.

“If anything … untoward happens, the camp will call us.”

“Nothing untoward had better fucking happen,” Brian griped.

“It won’t.”

“I wish I could be half as sure of that as you are.”

“Brian, she’s our daughter. We raised her to be independent, to think for herself, to be kind and considerate, and to stand up for herself. She’ll do all that.”

“And some fucking two hundred pound behemoth will knock her flat.”

“I strongly doubt that, but if a behemoth did knock her flat, our Bree would get right back up, dust herself off and tell the behemoth to fuck off.”

Brian laughed out loud. “Yeah, she would,” he said shaking his head.

“She’s going to have a good time, Brian. Stop worrying,” Justin admonished.

“Unlike me, who will be slaving in the salt gardens all day.”

“Salt gardens?” Justin asked with a chuckle. “What might they be?”

“Time for me to go,” Brian said getting up from the table. He grabbed his travel mug and poured his coffee into it, topping it up with some from the pot. “Pray for me, Sunshine. I’m going to need it.”

“You know I will, but who should I pray to?”

“The garden gnomes,” Brian called as he headed out the door.

Justin laughed and started to clean up after breakfast.



*****



“Don’t you like your breakfast?” Meghan asked. The girls were sitting side by side at one of the long tables in the mess hall.

“It’s all right,” Bree said, “but not as good as my daddies cook.” She took a bite of her toast and a drink of the orange juice. Her eggs were only partially eaten. They lay unwanted on her plate.

“Do both your daddies cook?” Meghan asked.

“Yep. My Dada makes awesome bacon and eggs, and my Daddy makes the bestest porridge.”

“Porridge? You like porridge?” Meghan asked in horror.

“I like my Daddy’s porridge … and Hudson’s.”

“Who’s Hudson?”

“You sure ask a lot of questions,” Bree observed.

“That’s cause you’re … different.”

“Am not!” Bree contradicted.

“Yes you are, but I like you a lot.”

Bree smiled. “I like you too. I’ll tell you about Hudson later.”

“Listen up, campers,” Chris called above the noise of the mess hall. “We’re going to give you your assignments for this morning.”

All the girls started to settle down to listen.

“I don’t think I want assignments,” Bree whispered.

“It sounds serious,” Meghan replied.

“Yeah.”

Chris proceeded to tell them about the morning activities.



*****



Ray found himself a little bored with nothing to do until later in the day. His house was empty with his boyfriend, brother and parents all out working and other stuff. Ray didn’t have to be at the real estate office until one. Morning TV was boring, the morning newspaper had little to offer except the usual doom and gloom and even playing on his computer held little appeal. He cleaned up the kitchen and the remains of breakfast before deciding what to do with himself. His month at Edna’s Treasures had been so filled with non-stop adventures and fun. Ray laughed to himself at that thought. Here he lived in the greatest city in the world and he was already missing that quiet little lane in the middle of nowhere. Ray shook himself out of his reverie then went to take a shower.



*****



“Bri, I decided to go to the gallery,” Justin said into his cell phone as he locked up the cottage and set the alarm. With Beau on patrol and the fact they were rather secluded, locks weren’t really necessary but old habits never really went away. He smiled to himself feeling a certain tightness in his groin as he remembered the punishment he had earned when he once forgot to set the alarm in Brian’s loft. He knew he walked bowlegged for weeks after that incident.

“Hey Sunshine, you still there?” Brian said in his ear via the Bluetooth.

“Um, yeah. Sorry I got distracted,” Justin said feeling himself blush. “I was locking up.”

“Uh huh, and did you remember to set the alarm like a good little boy?” Brian purred most seductively. Justin could almost see the arch of the eyebrow and the playful smirk on Brian’s face.

“Yes, Daddy,” Justin teased.

“So no punishment later?”

“I think I can come up with something you can punish me for,” Justin said as he blushed deeper. Even after all these years living with Brian, Brian never stopped eliciting such reactions from Justin.

“I just bet you can, little boy. Behave yourself in the big bad city, Sunshine. No getting yourself into trouble. That’s my job.”

“Yes, master. Later!”

“Later!”



*****



“Well, young lady, are you pleased with your little corner of the gallery?” Sidney asked Candy as she stood admiring her display.

“I, I’m so grateful!” Candy gushed as she wrapped her arms around the art gallery owner and patron of young up and coming artists.

‘She’s so starved for affection and approval,’ Sidney thought to himself as he hugged back. “So happy you approve. And I’m happy to tell you that there have been some inquiries made about your work. I feel sure that we’ll sell one or two pieces.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really and here’s someone who’s expressed a lot of interest. Candy, may I introduce you to Lacy. As you may know she is the current artist behind....”

“Rage!” Candy finished Sidney’s sentence with awe as she met the androgynous looking woman.

“You’re a fan?” Lacy asked.

“Oh yes, but I have to be careful. I can’t bring the comic into the house,” Candy revealed sadly.

“Why?” Lacy asked but was almost sure of the answer.

“My mom, she’s kinda cool with it. She doesn’t understand much of it but she believes in live and let live. But she’s been trying to get on my father’s good side and he doesn’t approve,” Candy was embarrassed to admit.

“But you approve,” Lacy ventured.

“Oh yes! I love your work. I try to imitate it, a little. I hope you’re not mad.”

“Why should I be? That’s how I started. I imitated Justin for years then I got to meet him one day. He encouraged me then even suggested I take over as primary artist for Rage. We still use a lot of his original work especially for Rage himself. Justin has a very special relationship with Rage.” Lacy smiled then winked at Candy making Candy blush slightly.

“I met Mr. Taylor here; he told me that Rage is based on his partner. He really let you imitate his work?”

“Yes, and he still does when I’ve hit a dry patch. Justin is...”

“Do I hear someone talking about me?” Justin walked into the gallery and over to where they were all standing. “Am I interrupting a meeting?” Justin asked politely.

“Not at all, my boy. We were just discussing Lacy’s humble beginnings and your unwavering faith in her,” Sidney gushed. Just then Lacy leaned over to plant a chaste kiss on Justin’s cheek.

“Justin, Sidney tells me you’re having another show soon and that it will lead into the Emerging Artists show.”

“Yeah. We’re hoping to open in a few of weeks. We’ll have a small preview in about a week. You’ll be there?”

“Sure!” Lacy replied. Sometimes she couldn’t believe that Justin considered her a good enough artist to be included in his previews.

“Can anyone come?” a timid voice asked. “To your show, I mean, not the preview.”

“Yes, the show is open to everyone, and if Sidney has any more tickets to the preview, you can come as well.” Justin glanced over to Sidney who nodded his head with approval. Sidney realized how difficult it was for Justin to separate the child from her father and he was very proud of Justin's invitation.

“I’ll set aside a couple of tickets right now,” Sidney said as he went to his office.

“It was nice meeting you, Candy. I own the Liberty Diner. You can find me there almost everyday, so don’t be a stranger,” Lacy said as she stuck out her hand for Candy to shake. “See ya, Justin.”

“Bye, Lacy,” Justin said as Lacy left the gallery.

“Mr. Taylor, did I do something wrong? You were a little angry last time,” Candy said with some hesitation when they were alone.

“No, Candy, you haven’t done anything wrong. I apologize if I was cold to you. I don’t want to judge you for anything other than for the person you are. Too much hate and hurt have been done because of wrong judgments and assumptions. You’re a fellow artist and deserve my respect.”

“Um, thank you, Mr. Taylor, but I don’t understand.”

“It’s Justin, and I’m not sure I can explain right now. But I’m glad you’ve entered the show.” Just then Justin’s stomach grumbled. He blushed as he looked at Candy who was trying not to giggle. “It’s okay; my stomach has a life of its own. And I did have breakfast this morning,” Justin sighed. “I think I better feed the beast before I do anything else. Would you like to join me for lunch? The bistro is close by.”

“I, um, are you sure?” Candy asked shyly.

“I’m sure but maybe you should call your mom to tell her where you’re going to be. You can ask her if she wants you to bring something home to her.”

“I don’t...”

“My treat,” Justin assured the young artist.

“Okay, I could eat,” Candy replied with a pretty smile.

“Great! I’ll tell Sidney where we’ll be then we can go,” Justin said as he guided Candy toward the main doors. Candy waited patiently and thought that maybe her and her mom’s luck might be changing for the better.

“All set, let’s go,” Justin said as he opened the door for Candy.

“How come you had to tell Mr. Bloom you were going?”

“Sidney is my mentor and he kinda looks toward me as a son, so I try to give him that respect.”

“Oh, that’s nice to have someone in your life like that.”

“Yeah, it is.” Before Justin could comment any more, Candy’s cell phone rang.

“Hi Mom, I was just about to call you. You can’t believe...okay, right away. Bye. Uh, Mr. Tay...” Justin gave the girl a look. “Um, Justin, I have to go. Something’s not right with my mom.” Candy was worried.

“I’ll take you; my Jeep is right here,” Justin said pointing to the Cherokee parked at the curb.

“It’s not such a great neighborhood,” Candy mumbled as Justin opened the passenger side door for the girl.

“You just tell me where. I was born here, remember. I know the neighborhoods.” As Candy gave him the street and address, Justin knew exactly where her apartment was. It was on the same street as the ugly little apartment he shared with a certain young fiddler. In just a few minutes, they pulled up in front of Candy’s apartment.

“I’ll walk you in,” Justin offered.

“Are you sure?’

“I’m sure.” Justin was ready to face all his demons.

A few minutes later Candy was opening her apartment door. “Mom? I’m home. Mr. Taylor’s with me,” Candy called out.

“I wasn’t expecting visitors,” Candy’s mother, Janet, said as she came out of the bedroom. She was hugging her robe close around her. She quickly pulled a scarf out of the pocket, draping it over her head and tying it around her neck.

“Mom, this is...”

“Justin Taylor. I know who you are. We were in the same class together at St. James. But we never hung out. I knew Daphne.” Justin cocked his head as he desperately tried to remember the obviously ill and tired woman standing in front of him. “Janet Cummings, I was a cheerleader for the football team,” she said as she offered her hand. Justin gently shook the thin hand.

“Mom, why didn’t you tell me you knew someone famous?”

“I wasn’t famous back then and I wasn’t on any team, so your mom really didn’t know me,” Justin explained.

“I always wanted to tell you that I was sorry for what happened but then other things happened,” Janet said indicating Candy with her eyes. Justin couldn’t think of anything to say so he just listened. “Sweetheart, why don’t you pour us some iced tea? The air conditioner isn’t working again. It’s a little hot in here. The landlord is always promising to fix things but he never does.”

Justin nodded at that. It was the same when he was living there with Ethan. They were lucky they had water sometimes.

“At least I didn’t get pregnant when I was in high school. When Chris finished his community service, he was so angry. He hated practically everyone and everything. He got rough sometimes,” Janet said softly. Justin knew what she meant. “I was in love. I thought if I could only stick it out. His parents approved of me even though I didn’t run in their social circle. My father worked for his father but they looked past that. They said I was a good influence on him. But not good enough as it turns out.”

“Here, Mom.” Candy handed her mother and Justin their iced tea.

“Thank you, honey.”

“Mom, did something happen today? You sounded weird on the phone.”

“I went to the doctor today.”

“Maybe I should go,” Justin said as he stood up.

“Please stay. Candy’s been so happy since you and Mr. Bloom invited her to enter the art show.” Justin sat back down.

“Are you okay?” Justin asked.

“Not really.”

“But the doctor said they got it all!” Candy said with tears in her eyes.

“I know, baby, and they thought they did, but it spread and now it’s too late.”

“But it can’t be,” Candy said as her flung herself into her mother’s arms.

“Isn’t there anything they can do? I know a few doctors, I can make some calls,” Justin said as he pulled out his phone.

“That’s very kind of you but you’ve done so much already.”

“All I did was take a look at Candy’s sketchbook. Candy’s talent did the rest. Sidney Bloom said there’s already interest in her work, and Lacy, the principal artist behind Rage is interested too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lacy asked Candy to contribute to the comic. We often have guest artists.”

“How can you...after what Chris did?”

“Candy’s not Chris.”

“No, she isn’t. I hope I raised her to be more tolerant and accepting of alternative lifestyles. Ours has never been very conventional. It was just after I graduated college, I was celebrating with a few friends at a local club when Chris walked in. I thought he had finished with me but my feelings for him never changed. I was just resigned to the fact that I wasn’t good enough for him. He bought me a few drinks and we danced then one thing led to another. I thought it was a whole new beginning for us but I was mistaken. He couldn’t have cared less about me or the results of that night.”

Janet paused in her story to wipe the tears from Candy’s face. “I’m so sorry, sweetheart. I hoped that when your father saw what a beautiful and talented young woman you turned out to be that he’d love you just like I do.

“He hasn’t changed,” Janet said looking back to Justin. “He married some wealthy woman and with her influence found his way back into legitimate society. But he keeps a low profile just in case he comes across someone with a good memory. He’ll have nothing to do with us, and I’ve spent whatever money we had in moving back here.”

“Do you need...?”

“No, we’ll get by somehow, we always do, and my girl here has been working whenever she can. When she turns sixteen they’ll let her work more hours.”

Justin nodded, contemplating what Janet said. “I do have a friend who’s a doctor. He’s more like family actually. Can I at least call him and ask him to look over your case. He does a lot of research so maybe there’s something he can suggest. He’s at Allegheny General.”

Janet nodded and gave Justin her phone number. Just then Justin’s stomach grumbled angrily. Justin blushed as Candy giggled through her tears.

“We missed lunch,” Candy said.

“Yeah, but I can at least fix that,” he said with a mischievous smile. Justin pulled out his cell phone and quickly made a call. “Hey, Emm, can I place an order? A very special order. To go, please...” Justin smiled fondly at Candy as he placed his order for a luncheon feast with Emmett.

A couple of hours later, after the hardy meal was consumed and the leftovers that would last the women for several days were packed into the small refrigerator, Justin was on his way back home.

“Ted? It’s Justin. I have a question. Isn’t there a vacant apartment at Tremont? No takers? Oooh, no takers that his majesty approved of. Hold that thought. I’ll let you know. It all depends on how good I am at being bad. Yeah. Bye, Ted.” Justin had a plan and a few more hours to work on it before Brian got home.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 11






Patrick stood on the mound of the baseball diamond. He needed one more out to get out of the inning, and out of the game. He had a runner on second that he had to keep an eye on. The other team’s best hitter was coming to bat. Patrick stared at the catcher absorbing the signs he was giving. He nodded in agreement. He positioned the ball and glove in front of his chest. His arm drew back slowly and then with as much force as he could muster he threw his best fastball.

The batter swung and suddenly the ball came straight back at him. He stuck out his glove hoping to catch the ball, but the glove caught just a piece of it. Patrick wasn’t quite fast enough to get it in position to catch the ball. And then he felt incredible pain as the ball glanced off his glove and hit him hard in the chest. He dropped into a heap of agony as he saw figures rushing around him.

“Patrick, Patrick, can you hear me? Are you all right?” his counselor who was acting as the coach for his team was asking.

“I … I’m okay,” Patrick said drawing in a sharp breath as the pain started to ease. “Did they score?’

The counselor smiled. This was a spunky kid he was dealing with. Many of the boys at the baseball camp would be weeping like babies and calling for their mommies. This kid was worried about losing the game. “No, Patrick, they didn’t score. The third baseman was able to get to the ball before the runner rounded third. You have runners on first and third. Do we need to take you out of the game?”

“No,” Patrick said emphatically. “I can finish the inning.”

“Are you sure? You’re probably going to have a nasty bruise.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, let’s get you back on your feet,” the counselor said. He offered Patrick his hand to help him up. Gingerly Patrick got to his feet. “Stretch a bit and see how your ribs feel.”

Patrick did just that. His chest felt sore but not unbearable. “I can do it,” he said.

The coach nodded. “The next batter is the guy you struck out with change ups last time. Do the same.”

Patrick nodded as everyone went back to their positions. With a glance at the runners Patrick threw the ball. The batter was way out in front of the ball. He swung hard, but it resulted in a ground ball towards second. The second baseman tossed it to first and the game was over.

Suddenly Patrick was surrounded by his teammates who were thumping him on the back and cheering his victory over the other team. They didn’t seem to realize that every thump on his back radiated to his chest and caused more pain. He was very glad when they finally stopped and everyone left the field.

“Good job, Patrick,” the coach said as he walked off the field with Patrick. “Come on over to the first aid office and we’ll check you out. We should get some ice on your ribs.”

“Okay,” Patrick agreed.



*****



“What are you doing?” John asked as Bobby got off the phone in their hotel room. They had been out all morning strolling around Manhattan and taking in the feel of the big, bustling city. After a delicious lunch at a deli they had returned to their hotel for a little alone time. They had just surfaced after a passionate round of lovemaking. Having showered they were thinking about how to spend the rest of the day.

“I just scored two tickets to tonight’s Yankees game,” Bobby said proudly.

John looked at his husband who was so excited. “You want to go?”

“Of course I want to go. This is the Yankees we’re talking about.”

“Okay then, Yankee Stadium it is,” John agreed.

Bobby knew that baseball wasn’t really John’s favorite thing. Bobby appreciated John agreeing to come with him to the ball game. He’d make sure they had a good time. “Have I told you how much I love you?” Bobby cooed in John’s ear, his hand rubbing across John’s bare chest.

“A time or two,” John said with a grin.

“I never thought I could love anyone as much as I love you … and Patrick.”

“I wonder how our boy is doing.”

“I imagine he’s doing just fine. He’s a scrapper,” Bobby said proudly.

“I wonder if they let him pitch.”

“If they know what’s good for them, they did.”

John smiled. “I’m sorry we won’t be there for most of his games.”

“Me too, but we have important things to do here in New York.”

“Like go to Yankee games,” John chuckled.

“Exactly. And spend lots of time in bed.”

“You know,” John said thoughtfully. “I think I might need another nap before we go out to dinner and that ball game.”

“Me too,” Bobby agreed, as they tumbled onto the bed.



*****



“How do you feel, Patrick?” the nurse asked.

The coach had taken Patrick to the first aid office to be checked out. Patrick was sitting on a chair with an ice pack on his ribs.

“I’ll be fine. How much longer do I have to keep this on?” Patrick asked lifting the ice pack away from his chest.

“Twenty minutes,” the nurse replied. “You have five to go.”

Patrick sighed and let his mind wander. He hadn’t really got to celebrate the victory of his team. The coach had whisked him away to this place while all his teammates went to shower and have refreshments. Patrick wanted to be with them.

His ribs were sore, and Patrick knew that tomorrow he would probably be very stiff. He had wanted to cry when the ball hit him. He had almost blacked out. It had hurt so bad. If his dads had been around, he would have cried and let them look after him. But they were in New York. They were probably having a good time. He didn’t want to bother them. He could get through this on his own.

Patrick’s mind went to the time he broke his arm when he fell off a horse. Everyone had taken such good care of him, especially Bree. He would like Bree to bring him some lemonade right now, and then she could sit with him and maybe draw a rainbow card to tell him to get better soon. Thinking about Bree, Patrick had to fight back tears.

He wondered how she was doing at soccer camp. He hoped she wouldn’t get hurt like he had. She could call her daddies if she needed to. Her fathers weren’t in New York. They were at home. Patrick shook his head and told himself to stop with the self-pity. His Uncle Brian always said that self-pity made his dick soft. Patrick giggled to himself. He wasn’t sure what that meant but it sounded awesome.

Patrick looked at the clock. “Time’s up,” he said to the nurse who was filling out some kind of form.

“Right. Let’s see your chest.”

Patrick set down the ice pack and lifted his shirt. “It’s turning purple,” he said.

“Come back in an hour and we’ll put another ice pack on it. I think you’ll be fine.”

“Me too,” Patrick agreed as he headed out the door.



*****



“Matt, bring the whipper snipper over here,” Brian said as he stood up from the garden he had just finished weeding. “Trim the edge.”

“Sure,” Matt said, and proceeded to cut the grass along the edge of the flowerbed. He had been using the riding lawnmower to cut the entire lawn, while Brian was working on the flowerbeds.

Brian stretched his aching back. He had been working since early in the morning with one brief break for lunch. He had just about had it. He watched Matt trimming. The man had worked hard cutting grass, but he didn’t seem to know a lot about gardening.

“Matt,” Brian called as the man switched off the machine. “See this edge,” he said pointing to a spot which Matt had just trimmed. “Don’t get so close. WeÂ’re trimming the grass, not scalping it.”

“Okay,” Matt replied.

“I’m serious. If you want to work for us, I expect things to be done right. I can see that you’re not afraid of hard work, and that’s a good thing. But working hard and working expertly aren’t necessarily the same thing. Do you understand?”

Matt frowned and looked at Brian. Matt needed this job, and he was prepared to work hard, but this guy wanted perfection. “I don’t know if I can live up to your standards,” he said slowly.

“Sure you can,” Brian informed him. “Take pride in your work and follow my instructions. I think you can be good at this job.”

Matt was surprised. That was the first positive thing Brian Kinney had said to him all day. Matt had watched his boss work right alongside him. Brian wasn’t a shirker, even though he was the boss. He worked hard and he expected Matt to do the same. “I was beginning to think that nothing I did was good enough.”

“I didn’t mean to give you that impression,” Brian replied. “I think you have potential. Where did you work before?”

“I was with a company north of Pittsburgh. They’ve gone out of business.”

“Shoddy work?”

“No, the owner retired.”

“You didn’t want to take it over?”

“I would have liked to, but I didn’t have the money.”

“I see,” Brian said. “Matt, I’m prepared to offer you this job, and I can see you being on your own in a week or two.”

“You mean it?” Matt asked.

“I do. But tomorrow I need to see how you are with the gardening aspect of this job. Your grass cutting is coming along pretty well, just watch the trimming.”

“I will,” Matt replied, “but…”

“But what?” Brian asked with a frown. That usually meant there was a problem.

“I’m not sure I know much about flowers and … weeds.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t think I can tell the difference,” Matt admitted.

“Between weeds and flowers, you mean?” Brian asked in surprise.

“Yeah.”

“But, didn’t you say you worked for a landscaping company?”

“Yeah, but all I did was cut grass and lay sod. I never worked in the gardens.”

Brian heaved a weary sigh. He knew this had been going too well. He thought he had found the man for the job. Now it looked like he would have to start tomorrow with somebody else.

“I’d like to learn though,” Matt added quickly.

“Do you intend to stick with this? I’m not going to spend a week teaching you, and then have you bail on me,” Brian warned.

“I wouldn’t do that, Mr. Kinney. I want this job, and I think I could be good at it. I just need to know what to do.”

“Then I’m the man to teach you,” Brian said clapping Matt on the back. “Let’s go. I’ve had it for today.”

“Sure, Mr. Kinney.”

They headed for the truck.



*****



“So what’d ya think?” Ken asked Stacey after the meeting. They were in her office going over their notes.

“About the client or Gus?” Stacey snapped.

“Both,” Ken replied calmly, nonplussed and used to Stacey’s “A” personality. His Simon had a similar personality, that is, until Ken worked a little magic to transform it into an “A-”. Simon had learned to lighten up over the years.

“I think we won the account, in spite of the screw up with the boards.”

“You can’t blame that on Gus, the boards were not in the correct order to begin with.”

“Maybe,” Stacey conceded. “Heads will roll for that one. But they were so obviously marked; you’d think he would have noticed that something wasn’t right.”

“Stacey, the boy was nervous.”

“My point exactly, Gus is a boy. I don’t care who his parents are. Since we decided to participate in the intern program I only wanted seniors. They have a certain maturity that the underclassmen haven’t developed. Hell, more than half those kids have no clue what they want to do with themselves, let alone work in advertising. Did you know what you wanted to do with your life at Gus’ age?”

“Sure I did. I wanted to be Andy Warhol, live in a fabulous New York loft and have beautiful blond twinks throw themselves at me every night.”

“My point,” Stacey snarked as she gestured in the air with her index finger, adding an invisible point to her score.

“Honey, give him time to settle in. He’s trying.”

“No, he thinks he’s trying. He also thinks he knows more than he does.”

“How can you say that?”

“Because Gus reminds me of me. You forget that I came from Pittsburgh. I came to New York thinking I’d take the advertising community by storm, but I learned fast that there were a thousand other kids out there who had a hell of a lot more experience. I had to learn all over again. It’s not always going to be easy just because he’s Brian Kinney’s son.”

“I know that. All I’m saying is to give him a chance and don’t penalize him because of his father. Gus might be a little cocky, but it isn’t just because he’s Brian’s son. He’s almost nineteen and all nineteen year-old boys think they know everything. It’s just the nature of the beast. Take my word for it, as a father that’s barely surviving teenaged boys.”

“Okay, I’ll give you that one,” Stacey said calming down.

“Can I send him in so you can discuss how the meeting went?” Ken said as he stood to go to the door.

“Sure. Personally, I’m not sure I want this client. I get those potential ‘pain in the ass’ vibes from him.”

“So do I but I also get those potential ‘millions and I can retire early’ vibes from him as well,” Ken said with a straight face, making Stacey laugh.

“Out!” she said making a go away gesture with her hand. “And send in the beast.”

“Yes, m’lady,” Ken said with a dramatic bow.

“I’m surrounded by drama queens,” Stacey murmured to herself as she looked back at her notes.

In the break room Gus was wearing a hole in the carpeting, pacing back and forth. “I screwed up. She’s gonna tell my dad and he’s gonna take away my Jeep,” Gus mumbled as he paced. Being the only one in the room he wasn’t getting any sage advice from the water cooler. “What am I going to do?”

“First you're going to calm yourself down then we’ll take it from there,” Ken said as he walked into the room.

“Uncle Ken, I mean Mr. Mann, I mean...damn, I don’t know what I mean.”

“Here, drink.” Ken handed Gus a cup of water. “Sit!” Gus plopped into a nearby chair. “Do you know what you did wrong?”

“I assumed the boards were in the correct groupings before I placed them on their easels.”

“That’s right. And what happens when we assume?”

“We make an ass of you and me?”

“Right again. And the next time you’re setting up a conference room with display boards…?”

“I check and check and double check that they’re the right boards and in the right order.”

“Very good, Mr. Kinney. Now, Ms. Manning is waiting for you.”

“Yes, sir,” Gus said, looking like a condemned man taking that last walk. He got up and slunk out the door.

“Drama queens,” Ken mumbled as he made himself a cup of coffee.



*****



“Ladies, this is the equipment cart!” The assistant soccer coach pointed to a huge wheelbarrow filled with balls and protective padding. “After practice, return all your equipment to the cart,” the coach said.

The girls were getting a tour of the camp and of the soccer field. The head coach had a big silver whistle hanging from her neck and wasn’t afraid to use it.

“Listen up! We break into four practice squads and then later into two teams. Our first game is in two days.”

“I hope we’re on the same squad,” Bree whispered to Meghan out of the corner of her mouth.

“Me too,” Meghan whispered back as the assistant coach gave them a warning glare. The girls became quiet, giving their undivided attention to the coach.

Since this was the first official day of camp, the itinerary was slightly different, the coach explained. Their day would start out with breakfast then warm up, so the girls were to dress in their practice uniforms for breakfast. After practice the girls would have some time to relax, change and then go to lunch. After lunch there would be other activities which included arts and crafts. Bree was especially happy about that. The whistle blew again and the assistant coach took over, calling names off the list on his clipboard.



*****



“Come in!” Stacey called out at the hesitant knock on her office door. Gus entered looking like a naughty puppy with its tail between his legs. “Sit.” Gus sat.

“You want to tell me what happened this morning and explain to me why we looked like a second rate ad firm.”

Gus took a deep breath, praying to the gods at large that he could explain himself logically.



*****



“Todd, didn't I give you the day off?” Brian said as he walked into the garden center. He spied Todd behind the counter taking inventory of some of the more expensive seed packets.

“I believe you told me to get some rest. Well, I got some rest and now I’m here doing what you hired me to do,” Todd replied waiting for the Brian Kinney blow up.

“Well all right!” Brian surprised Todd with his answer. “Can we talk?” Brian said as he raised his arm to drape over Todd’s shoulders. The odor that only Justin could love hit Brian in the face so he quickly lowered his arm.

“Sure,” Todd answered walking off to the side of the counter where they could talk in private.

“That new guy, Matt, he shows potential but he’s not a flower guy.”

“Flower guy?”

“You know, flowers vs. weeds. He’ll wind up pulling up the daisies and leaving the dandelions,” Brian explained.

“What about keeping him a grass guy?” Todd asked, quickly catching onto to the Brian-speak.

“I think he’d be great as a grass guy, but he needs to learn to pay attention to detail.”

“The edges?”

“Yup.”

“Brian, most people aren’t as picky as you are.”

“Be that as it may...and shit, I hate saying that expression. It’s something my grandmother would say, if I had known my grandmother.” Brian shook his head. “I think I was out in the sun too long without a hat. The reason why I got involved in this business is because I wanted to hire people who are just as picky as I am. Attention to detail gets us more business.”

“Yes sir!” Todd said with a mock salute. “I’ll keep that in mind and put Matt on lawn detail.”

“Just keep in mind that he’d like to learn about the floral and landscaping part of the business. Maybe send him to classes over at the junior college. I’m always seeing ads in the paper about landscaping courses.”

“Really? I never noticed.”

“That’s because I’m the ad man and I always look at the ads in the newspaper. If Matt is serious about learning about flowers, I’ll sponsor him.” Todd was flabbergasted, but then Brian had sponsored Todd’s move and helped him to find a suitable home. Todd was finding out all sorts of things about this Brian Kinney. “But if he fucks up, he’s out,” Brian said as he turned to leave the center, done for the day.

“Now that’s the Brian Kinney I know,” Todd murmured to himself as he returned to his inventory of exotic seeds.



*****



“Well, well, well, look who’s wandering the big city streets, back from the sticks. I’m surprised you remembered your way around.”

“What do you want, Wayne?” Ray had gone to the bakery to pick up treats for after dinner. Bobby had paid well, so Ray had some extra cash burning a hole in his pocket. He used some of it to buy a new computer game and then he ran to the bakery to buy some of Gus’ favorite cupcakes. He had just enough time to get home, change and then get to his dad’s office.

“You look good. That country air must agree with you,” Wayne said as he moved in closer to Ray. “Shit, you’re hot.” Wayne’s eyes did an inspection of Ray’s body.

“And you’re still delusional. Wayne, be honest with me, other than kissing and maybe a hand job, have you ever really been with a guy?”

Wayne studied Ray’s eyes before answering. Wayne shook his head no.

“Why me?”

“Because you’re good looking and smart and I want to fuck you.”

“You want to fuck with me, you mean. Wayne, I have a boyfriend. We really care about each other; I don’t fuck around. I don’t want to fuck around.”

“He’s rich, right? I don’t have as much money as he does, right?”

“Money has nothing to do with it. Gus is smart, very talented and he makes me laugh. I can relax with him, joke around with him or do nothing except maybe lay back in a field and stare at the sky.”

“Shit, man, you’re twenty years old and you sound pussy whipped. Since when did you turn into a wimp? When I first met you, you were ready and willing to fuck anything with a dick.”

“That was then. Now the only dick I’m interested in belongs to Gus. I gotta get to work. Nice knowin’ ya, Wayne.” Ray took a quick look at the traffic light then sprinted across the street leaving a pissed off Wayne in his wake.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 12






“I’m tired,” Meghan called over to Bree.

“Me too. We’ve run up and down this field a million times,” Bree called back.

The girls had been practicing ball control for what seemed like hours. There had been all kinds of different drills that they had to repeat over and over again. Now they had been told to run up and down the playing field, using their feet to propel the ball along, without interfering with any other girls while they were doing it. When they got to the end of the field they had to kick the ball into the soccer net. Then they retrieved it with their feet, no hands allowed, and took the ball back down the field to the opposite net where they did the same thing. They had been doing this over and over.

Meghan was having more trouble controlling her soccer ball than Bree was. For Bree who had been raised playing soccer with her father, this exercise was pretty basic. But all the running was starting to wear her out. She was sweating and breathing hard. Meghan was in worse shape. She kept getting slower and slower, each trip up and down the field taking longer and longer. All the girls had started out at the same time, but now they were spread across the field, some going one way and some the other.

Bree was pretty sure she had done more laps up and down than any other girl, but she couldn’t be sure. Some girls were really struggling, finding it hard to keep going. Bree was panting and tired, but she wouldn’t give up.

“Two more times up and down,” the coach called.

“I don’t think I can make it,” Meghan called as Bree passed her going the other way.

“Yes, you can, Meghan. Keep going. I know you can do it,” Bree called to her new friend as she disappeared up the field. Meghan dug deep and kept going.

A couple of girls were now sitting down on the field totally exhausted. The other runners had to maneuver their balls around them. Bree glanced at the coach who was making notes. She decided she didn’t want to be one of the girls who the coach would note was sitting down. Bree actually sped up. She had three more lengths of the field to do, and she was determined to finish.

Each time she met Meghan she called out encouragement, and Meghan kept going. Somehow the little girl was able to find the strength to continue.

“Kinney-Taylor,” the coach called, “come off the field. You’re done.” Bree ran over to the coach who made note that Bree had finished the assigned laps. “Good work,” the coach said to her. “You’re the first one finished, and your ball control is excellent.” Bree smiled at the compliment. Her Dada would be proud. “How old are you?” the coach asked.

“I’m seven,” Bree replied with a frown. What did her age have to do with anything?

“You’re quite small, but you ran rings around most of the girls.”

“My Dada taught me to play soccer when I was really little,” Bree explained.

“That explains it then. There’s nothing like starting early.”

Bree nodded in agreement. “Do we get cookies and milk?” she asked.

“Cookies and milk?”

“My Dada says that you should have a snack after practice. I’d like cookies and milk.”

The coach chuckled in spite of herself. “I’d like to meet this Dada of yours.”

“He’ll be here on the weekend.”

“Good. Make sure you introduce me to him,” the coach instructed her. “And we have orange wedges and a couple of cookies for your snack. Lots of water is what you should be drinking so your muscles don’t cramp up.”

“Okay,” Bree said. She saw a couple of her other counselors carrying some trays towards the soccer field.

“They’ll be setting up over there in the shade,” the coach said, as her eye went back to the girls still running. “Maybe you could give them a hand.”

“Sure,” Bree said. She ran over to where her counselor, Chris, and another counselor whose name she couldn’t remember were setting the trays on a picnic table. She proceeded to help them set out napkins. They told her to take some orange as she must be thirsty. The other counselor went to get the water bottles that were in coolers.

A couple of other girls were called off the field, had a brief chat with the coach and then joined Bree at the picnic table.

“You’re fast,” one of the girls said. She was older than Bree and quite a bit taller. “Last year I was the first to finish this test.”

“It’s a test?” Bree asked.

“Yeah, the coach uses it to see who the best players are. Then she makes balanced teams so that one team doesn’t have an advantage over the other,” the girl explained. “I’m Bonnie,” she added.

“Bree,” Bree replied.

“I hope I’m on your team,” Bonnie said with a smile.

“I’d like that,” Bree agreed. “But if you and me are the best, won’t we be on opposite teams?”

“Smart too,” Bonnie said with a laugh.

Bree nodded her head. More girls were coming off the field. In the next group was Meghan who collapsed onto a patch of grass breathing hard. Bree grabbed a couple of orange wedges and a bottle of water and took them over to her friend. Meghan sucked the orange greedily and drank about a third of the bottle of water.

“Thanks,” she finally said as her breathing started to slow down. “I didn’t think I was going to make it.”

“I knew you could,” Bree told her sincerely.

“You telling me to keep going really helped,” Meghan said.

“Good,” Bree replied. “Want a cookie?”

“Sure.”

Bree grabbed a couple of cookies for them and sat down beside Meghan to eat them.

The coach walked over as the last two girls came off the field. Bree was pretty sure they were the girls that had sat down on the playing field for awhile, until they were able to continue.

“Girls,” the coach said as they all settled with a drink and something to eat. “I’m very pleased that nobody quit today. Even if you had to take a little breather, I’m glad you got up and finished.”

The two girls who had sat down on the field looked sheepish, but also pleased that they were getting some credit for trying so hard.

“Our team captains will be Briana and Bonnie,” the coach added. “They were the strongest players on the field. I especially want to commend Briana for encouraging other girls to keep going. That’s a sign of leadership.”

Bree looked at Bonnie and shrugged. “Coach, could you call me Bree, please?” Bree asked.
“Certainly, young lady,” the coach said. “I think it’s time for Bree and the rest of you to go shower and change. Lunch will be in the mess hall right afterwards.”

“You did good,” Bree said to Meghan as they walked towards their bunkhouse.

“I couldn’t have made it without you.”

“Yes you could,” Bree said encouragingly.



*****



“Campers!” the coach called as the boys at the baseball camp were finishing up their meal. “I want to commend you all for your efforts during the games today. Looks like we have some great talent to work with this year.”

The boys all looked around smiling and nodding at one another. That was what they liked to hear.

“I’m happy to report,” the coach continued, “that our pitcher today, Patrick Morrison-Anderson, has been cleared by the camp nurse. He has a bruise, but I think he’s warrior enough to continue. Right, Patrick?”

“Right, coach,” Patrick agreed. He liked being called a warrior.

“Tomorrow begins the skills practices in the morning followed by a game in the afternoon. That will be our pattern each day of camp. Continue with your meals,” the coach said as he walked over to the table where all the counselors sat.

“Not bad, Morrison-Anderson,” one of the older boys said from a ways down the long table.

“It’s Patrick,” Patrick told him.

“You’ve got a good pitching arm, Patrick,” the boy said. “But your fielding leaves a little to be desired.”

Several of the boys at the table snickered at the comment.

Patrick frowned. “Yeah, I should have caught that ball. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

The boys who were laughing turned serious as they looked at Patrick, knowing by the determined look on his face that he would not miss the next ball that came back at him.

“Great answer,” the boy next to Patrick whispered.

“Thanks,” Patrick said.

“I’m Tom.”

“You’re a good player too,” Patrick told the boy.

“Thanks, I’m hoping to play shortstop.”

“You’ve got good lateral motion.”

“Huh?”

“My dad played baseball. He tried to teach me lateral motion, but I’m not as good at it as you are.”

“What position did your father play?”

“He was a pitcher.”

“That’s why you’re so good at pitching,” Tom stated.

“Probably,” Patrick agreed. “I practice with him all the time.”

“You’re lucky. My dad doesn’t know nothin’ about baseball.”

“How did you get interested?”

“I really liked playing at school, and then I joined little league. The coach suggested I come here.”

“We could practice together in our spare time,” Patrick suggested.

“That would be great.”

Patrick smiled. Maybe he had made his first friend at camp.



*****



“You’re late,” Simon griped at Ray, as Ray entered the real estate office.

“Yeah, I know, sorry,” Ray grumbled. He was pissed that on his first day home he just had to run into the one person he really didn’t want to see.

“What’s wrong?” Simon asked. He could tell his son wasn’t happy and it was very rare when Ray ever came to work late.

“That guy Wayne.”

“Didn’t you go to high school with him?” Simon asked as he handed Ray a bunch of photos. At an early age Simon and Ken discovered that Ray had inherited an eye for art, specifically, photography. Ray’s interest was purely as a hobby and even then only when sightseeing. But whenever Ray hung out in his father’s office, he would check out the pictures of potential properties and identify the best ones. Simon valued his son’s opinion.

“Yeah, but he got weird in our senior year.”

“Weird how?”

“One minute he was straight and the next he wants in my pants. He kinda gives me the creeps,” Ray said as he picked out several photos for his dad. Simon nodded at the choices.

“Could he be just bi-curious? Or maybe it dawned on him that he really is gay. Not all of us know early in life. Look at John; he came out in his forties.”

“I know that and I’ve always tried to be sensitive to guys that are in the closet or are just clueless, but he’s different. It’s like he’s stalking me or something. Did Jeff tell you he showed up in Pittsburgh? He hit on me during PRIDE. Gus nearly punched his lights out,” Ray said with a mixture of pride and trepidation.

“Jeff told me. I thought he was invited.”

“No. Gus was pissed. If his dad and uncle hadn’t jumped in, I don’t know what Gus would have done.”

"Gus doesn’t strike me as a violent person.”

“He isn’t but I guess...” Ray blushed; he enjoyed being the center of Gus’ universe.

“It’s nice having someone who cares about you like that, isn’t it,” Simon said knowingly, reading his son’s face. “Raymond, you boys are still very young. You’re not ready for a life long commitment.”

“Oh dad, I know. But I can honestly tell you that I haven’t met anyone I’d want more than Gus. I really, really like him and we just have fun together. He makes me feel good,” Ray murmured, his face getting redder and hotter. Simon chuckled then patted Ray’s shoulder.

“I know just how you feel.”

“You and daddy?”

“Yes, me and your father. The minute I met him I knew he was the one. I feel complete with him; he makes me feel good too.” Getting back to work, Simon prepared for his afternoon appointments while Ray did the filing.



*****



“Hey, you’re late. I could have sworn you’d beat me home,” Justin said as Brian dragged himself through the door and into the kitchen. He sat on a stool with a huff. Justin shoved a cold beer into Brian’s hand. Brian took a good long pull then dug into the snacks Justin had on a dish on the counter.

“That feels good,” Brian finally said after he finished off the beer.

“Want another?”

“Not yet. I need to eat something.”

“Brian Kinney actually wanting food. I better mark this day on the calendar,” Justin teased as he slid a thick turkey sandwich made with smoked turkey on a multi-grain roll towards Brian. All Brian Kinney approved ingredients.

“Twat,” Brian grumbled just before he sunk his teeth into his sandwich.

“Good?” Justin asked with the same tone he used for Bree. If Brian noticed, he didn’t care. He practically wolfed down the sandwich. “Shit! You were hungry. What did you do today, landscape Yellowstone?”

“It felt like it. The new guy Matt and I worked on a lawn this morning and...”

“And you had to redo the edges.”

“Something like that. Matt needed a few pointers.”

“Uh huh, but that still doesn’t explain why you’re home so late.”

“I was on my way out when I was hijacked but one of John’s crew. They’re almost finished with the school grounds and they wanted an opinion on the landscaping.”

“And of course you had to give it.”

“Hey, they wanted MY opinion, Sunshine. Of course I had to give it.”

“You are such an asshole,” Justin said, laughing as he came around the counter to wrap his arms around his hard working landscaper. Justin inhaled the heady scent of his sweaty and grimy Brian. The scent went straight to Justin’s groin.

“You can’t possibly be turned on. I reek!”

“Yeah,” Justin moaned as he lifted Brian’s t-shirt to find a sweaty nipple.

“Justin, if I promise to lay still and let you give me a tongue bath, can I please take a shower first. I’m offending me,” Brian said to the top of Justin’s head. Justin was in the process of doing sinful things to Brian’s nipple with his mouth.

“Oh-hay,” Justin mumbled around the hard nub, not letting go.

“Oh fuck!” Brian groaned. His dick was growing harder and his nipple was becoming over sensitized. Before the sensation became too much for Brian, Justin switched to the other nipple. “Son-of-a-bitch!” Brian complained but did nothing to dislodge the lips. “You are a bad boy.”

“Yeah?” Justin said with an evil smile as he looked up from Brian’s chest. “Do I get punished?”

“Yes, you do and all night long...after I take a shower.”

“Okay,” Justin acquiesced. “But you lay still until I’m done with you.”

“I promise, Sunshine, and you know I don’t lie.”

Justin gave Brian that special smile as Brian left to shower. Justin cleaned up the kitchen, mentally preparing himself to be as bad as he could be for his husband.



*****



“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“How’d it go today?” Ray asked as Gus flopped down on the bed in his suit.

“It sucked and not in a positive life affirming way,” Gus admitted as he rolled over to look at the ceiling.

“Couldn’t have been all that bad. You finished out the day. It’s not like you were fired.”

“I wish I had been fired then I could just go home and pretend this day never happened. But no, I have to go back tomorrow.”

“What happened?”

“I fucked up. Big time, from the minute I walked through the door.”

“But you’re not fired.”

“No, I live to be humiliated another day.”

“No, you live to get it right another day. Use that brain of yours. You juggled two majors in two different colleges and you plan on doing it again this Fall. Learn from your mistakes.”

Gus rolled over to look at his boyfriend. “When did you get to be so smart?” Gus asked, arching his eyebrow.

“I’ve always been this smart. You just haven’t noticed cause I got this killer body,” Ray said with a straight face puffing out his chest.

The boys burst out in a fit of laughter. Afterwards, Gus wiped the laughter induced tears from his eyes.

“God, I needed that. Thank you,” Gus whispered as he leaned over to kiss Ray. “I really needed that.”

“Come on, get that suit off before you wrinkle it.” Gus leapt from the bed.

“Shit, I can almost see my dad’s eyebrow arch,” Gus said as he quickly removed his suit and hung it up. “I’ll need to get it cleaned. I sweat my ass off in it all day.”

“I think your ass is just fine,” Ray said with a leer as he leaned over to get a good look.

“Yeah?”

“Oh yeah, and I’ll prove it to you later after we have dinner and dessert.”

“I thought I was dessert.”

“You’re the whipped cream on my dessert. I got you your favorite cupcakes,” Ray said smugly. “Oooof!” Ray let out a burst of air as he was tackled by Gus and thoroughly kissed. “On the other hand there’s no reason why I can’t have my dessert before we have dinner,” Ray murmured against Gus’ lips.

“Mmmm,” Gus agreed then went back to kissing Ray.



*****



“Jeez-uss!” Brian exclaimed when his brain cleared up enough to form a coherent thought. “Just when I thought you couldn’t surprise me anymore, you do.”

“Yeah?” Justin said smugly.

“Yes, Sunshine, and you know it too. So can the innocent act.” Brian leaned back to get a good look at Justin’s face. “What?”

“What, what?”

“Something’s up, Sunshine, and it ain’t my dick.” Brian and Justin looked down at the exhausted organ as it rested, gathering strength for the next round.

“Umm.”

“Spill.”

“You know the vacant apartment in your building?”

“Our building, and yeah?”

“I have a tenant for it.”

“Okay. What’s the big deal?”

“You may not like them.”

“Why, are they straight? I won’t hold that against them as long as they pay the rent on time.”

“Umm.”

“They can’t pay the rent?”

“Well, not the usual rent.”

“Down on their luck?”

“You could say that.”

“What else? Or more specifically, who are they?”

“Candy Hobbs and her mother.”

“What?!”

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 13






“I can’t wait to see Bree,” Justin said as they were in the SUV heading for Bree’s soccer camp.

“Yeah,” Brian said sounding totally disgusted.

“Don’t even try to let on that you’re not excited to see her.

“She’ll probably be wearing high heels and makeup, and look like she’s 25.”

“Of course,” Justin laughed. “High heels and makeup are just what she’ll be wearing to play soccer. And she’s been gone six days, so she’ll have aged at least 20 years.”

Brian turned his eyes from the road long enough to give Justin one of his scary glares. Justin wasn’t having any part of it.

“She’s going to be so happy to see you … us,” Justin added.

“Do you think she’ll remember who we are?” Brian tried to make the question sound sarcastic, but to Justin it merely sounded worried.

“Of course she’ll remember us. She loves her Dada.”

“And her Daddy.”

“Goes without saying.”

They pulled into the parking area at Bree’s camp.

“Dada! Daddy!” a little voice screeched.

As soon as Brian opened the door to the SUV, a tiny blonde flung herself into his arms.

“Squirt,” Brian whispered as he pressed her against his chest. “I missed you.”

“I love you, Dada. I did good. I’m the captain of my soccer team. I made a new friend and the coach wants to meet you.”

“No shit!” Brian said with a chuckle. He was very happy that Bree had been having a good time. But he was even happier to see that she was happy to see them.

“Daddy!” Bree yelled as Justin came around from his side of the vehicle.

“Right here, sweetheart,” Justin said hugging her tight once Brian had released her and passed her on to him.

“I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you right back.”

“Dada, can you meet the coach now?”

“If I must,” Brian replied, his nonchalant veneer firmly back in place. Justin certainly wouldn’t mention the tears in Brian’s eyes as he reluctantly handed Bree to him.

“She’s over there,” Bree said pointing to a tall woman talking to another set of parents. “Come on,” Bree added as she took Brian’s hand and dragged him across the parking lot.

As they approached the rather formidable looking woman, the parents who were talking to her moved on.

“Coach, this is my Dada,” Bree said.

The coach raised her eyebrow and extended her hand.

Brian shook it, saying, “Brian Kinney.”

“Abigail Minton,” the woman said.

“This is my Daddy,” Bree pointed out indicating her other father.

“Justin Taylor,” Justin said as he shook the coach’s hand too.

“Aren’t you the … artist?” Coach Minton asked in surprise.

“That would be me,” Justin replied with a chuckle.

“Very nice to meet you,” the coach said obviously impressed at who Bree’s father was.

“Um, Coach,” Bree piped up. “You said you wanted to meet my Dada not my Daddy.”

“Well, I, um, I’m happy to meet both your parents,” Abigail recovered.

“But this is my Dada,” Bree persisted indicating Brian. “He’s the one who knows everything about soccer.”

“Bree…” Brian half-heartedly protested. He did know a lot about soccer. Maybe not everything, but close.

“Your daughter is one of the best soccer players I’ve seen in a long time,” the coach stated.

“I’m going to Penn State like my brother, but I’m going to play soccer there like my Dada,” Bree informed them.

“I’m sure you will do all of that and more, Bree,” Abigail agreed. “I’ve made Bree captain of one of the teams. You’ll see her play in just a few minutes.”

Brian wore a frown. “Isn’t Bree a little young to be captain?”

“I’m old enough, Dada,” Bree averred.

“Your daughter is not only a good player, she demonstrates excellent leadership qualities. The other girls respect her skill and encouragement. She makes an excellent captain.”

“I see,” Brian said, but it seemed evident that he really didn’t see.

“You better go find your team,” the coach advised. “We’re going to start in a few minutes.”

“’Kay,” Bree said happily. “You’re going to watch me, right?” she asked her fathers.

“Absolutely,” Brian said. Bree gave each of her fathers a hug before running off to get her team organized.

“You don’t like her being captain, do you?” Justin asked as they found some space to put their folding chairs along the side of the playing field.

“I think she’s too young,” Brian said as he sat down.

“The coach doesn’t seem to think so.”

Brian snorted. “Like she knows anything.”

“She must know something if she’s coaching.”

That earned another snort just before the coach walked onto the field with a bullhorn. She welcomed all the family and friends who were in attendance. Then she introduced the captains of the two teams and made a nice fuss over Bree being the youngest captain they had ever had at the camp. Then the game began.

Brian watched with interest. He saw his daughter run rings around most of the other girls. The captain of the other team was almost as good as Bree but she had to be a couple of years older. All the times Brian and the family had played soccer with Bree hadn’t prepared Brian to see how she measured up against girls who were interested in soccer and had obviously played a lot. His daughter was the absolute best. He felt his chest swell with pride and love.

Bree scored a goal during the game, and her team won two to one. That was a good outcome, but Brian was more pleased to see how Bree would talk to a girl who missed a shot or flubbed a kick. Bree offered encouragement and help wherever she could. She especially seemed to be helping one little girl.

When the game was over, Bree came running over to her fathers followed by the little girl who Bree had been talking to so much during the game.

“We won!” Bree said triumphantly.

“That you did, Squirt,” Brian said with a big smile. “Good game.”

“Dada and Daddy, this is my friend Meghan,” Bree said.

“Hello, Meghan,” both fathers replied.

“I got to go find my parents,” Meghan said. “Nice to meet you.” She ran over to some people who seemed to be waiting for her.

“They have cookies,” Bree said. “Over there.”

“Cookies it is,” Brian agreed as he followed Bree to the refreshment table.



*****



It wasn’t long until Brian and Justin were on the road again, heading for Patrick’s camp.

“You feeling better about Bree being captain?” Justin asked after they drove for a bit in silence.

“I guess,” Brian sighed. “She’s an amazing little girl.”

“She’s our amazing little girl.”

“Yeah, she is, isn’t she?” Brian smiled.

“She didn’t forget who you were,” Justin reminded Brian gently.

“Yeah,” Brian agreed. They drove on in silence until they arrived at Patrick’s camp.

Patrick was happy to see them, and wanted to know if they had heard from his dads. Justin informed him that John and Bobby were having a good time, but missed Patrick enormously. Patrick admitted that he missed his dads too. He introduced them to Tom, his new friend, and Tom’s parents.

Soon the game began, with Patrick pitching for his team. Patrick did a good job, giving up just one run, on a homer. He also made a great play on a line drive back to the pitcher’s mound. He caught the ball and threw to first for a double play on the runner who had headed for second. Patrick’s team won 4-1.

“Great game, Little Red,” Brian said as he ruffled Patrick’s hair after the game.

“Thanks, Uncle Bri,” Patrick replied with a big smile.

“Your dads are going to be so sorry they missed your game,” Justin said.

“They’re coming next weekend, aren’t they?” Patrick asked.

“I don’t think a monsoon could keep them away,” Brian said. Patrick giggled. “That was a great play on the line drive.”

“Yeah, I missed one like that the first day we played. I got this,” Patrick informed them as he lifted his shirt. They could see the yellowish area that had faded from purple during the course of the week.

“Shit!” Brian reacted. “That must have hurt.”

“It did,” Patrick said with a smile, “for a while. I’m fine now.”

“Brave lad,” Brian said giving his nephew a hug.

“Thanks,” Patrick mumbled into Brian’s chest. “They have refreshments,” he suggested.

“Great! More cookies,” Brian griped as he and Justin followed Patrick to the refreshment table.



*****



With the first week of being on their own almost over, Brian was looking forward to the second. Even though he was enjoying the freedom of having Justin all to himself, Brian found he wasn’t ready to cope with the ‘empty nest’ feelings he was experiencing. Brian enjoyed his full house and at the moment, it was only he and Beau contemplating their empty nest.

“Dad?” Brian heard Gus say as he answered his cell phone.

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked.

“Everything.”

“Define, everything,” Brian said trying to remain calm, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I’m sorry, Dad. I really am. I kept thinking orange is the new blue. That that meant something. The colors of the ad looked gross,” Gus babbled. “I didn’t know they were chosen for a reason, so I...”

“You took it upon yourself to change the colors,” Brian surmised as he was trying to follow his son's train of rambling thought.

“Yes. Stacey didn’t call you?”

“No, not yet. Perhaps she thought you’d like to fess up first. What was the result of your thoughtfulness,” Brian snarked.

“The client was pissed and ready to walk out. But Uncle Ken stepped in.”

“You mean he schmoozed.”

“Yeah, and I apologized. I told the client that it was all my idea and that Stac, uh, Ms. Manning had no clue about what I did.”

“Who was the client?” Brian had a sinking feeling in his gut. Eyeconic Eyeglasses were spreading their wings and attempting to break into the New York City market. They didn’t have to use Kinnetik, but wanted to give N’rgy the first shot at the ad.

“Eye...”

“Fucking hell!” Brian said, cutting off Gus. The smug Eyeconics bitch was still in charge and still a bitch. Brian walked to the refrigerator to get himself a beer. He really wanted something stronger but he needed to keep a clear head. Gus’ mumblings brought Brian back to the problem at hand. “What did you just say?”

“Am I fired?”

“Did Stacey fire you?”

“No, not yet.”

“Then until your boss says otherwise, you are still an employee of Kinnetik N’rgy.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“Don’t thank me. If it were up to me, your ass would be on the next bus outta there. Gus, you should have known better.”

“I know. Dad, can I ask you something?”

“Something else work related?”

“No. Boyfriend related.”

‘Almost as bad,’ Brian thought to himself. “Go ahead,” Brian said taking another gulp of his beer.

“You and Jus, it wasn’t always good, was it?”

“No, I, we both made some foolish mistakes. We discovered long ago that we always have to work at our relationship and take nothing for granted. Gus, did something happen between you and Ray?”

“No, but Jeff said something that bothered me and I don’t know what to do about it.”

“What did he say?”

“Remember that creep at PRIDE? The one who was all over Ray at the parade.”

“I remember.”

“Jeff said he spotted Wayne hanging out with some of their friends and that he was boasting that he and Ray had something going on. That they’ve already done it. I didn’t want to say anything to Ray about it.”

“Why?”

“Because, what if...”

“What if it’s true?”

“Yeah,” Gus said so softly that Brian wasn’t sure he heard him.

“Listen to me, Sonny Boy, never assume.” Gus chuckled nervously. “What?”

“You’re the second person this week to offer me the same advice.”

“Very wise advice. Gus, talk to Raymond. Don’t assume you know what’s best for him or your relationship. I did that more times than I care to admit. I pushed Justin away thinking I knew what was best for him. It ultimately led to a lot of misery and wasted time. Don’t make that same mistake. Ray is a smart, sensitive young man and I believe he’s very honest. Be honest with him.”

“Okay, Pop. I’ll talk to him tonight. Damn! I gotta go, my break is over.”

“Gus, make an appointment with Stacey to discuss your performance. Ask her specifically what your tasks are and what her expectations are. N’rgy’s internship job description may be very different from Kinnetik and Part Deux. Then ask her how you can improve.”

“Okay, Dad, I will."

“And promise me you’ll talk to Ray.”

“I promise, Pop, and I don’t lie. Later, Pop.”

“Later, Sonny Boy.” Brian cut the connection, staring at the bottle on the counter. Beau loped into the kitchen and sat near Brian’s stool, looking up at Brian with big soulful eyes.

“I know, Beau; he has to do it on his own. Just as the Squirt has to grow up. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it,” Brian said with a sigh. Beau laid down with a sigh, resting his head on his paws.

“Good idea,” Brian said as he stood, stretching out the kinks. He was feeling some of the effects of his manual labors. Brian walked into the sun porch, positioned one of the chaises so that he could see his garden then laid down for a nap. When he was settled, Beau came in with grey bunny and laid it next to his sleeping master.



*****



“Brian,” Justin called as he came into the house. There was no answer.

Justin headed to the kitchen where he dropped the groceries he had purchased. He put the milk and meat in the fridge, wondering where Brian could have got to. Having finished the task of putting his purchases away, Justin headed out to the sun porch to see if Brian was outside in his gardens.

Chuckling to himself that Brian would hardly be gardening after his strenuous exercise with the new guy, Matt, at the gardening center, Justin stopped short as he entered the sun porch.

Beau raised his head and looked at Justin, as much as to say, “Be quiet, someone’s sleeping.”

Justin walked over to the chaise where Brian lay sleeping. The grey bunny was pulled against his body, his arm holding it in place on the chaise, as he slept oblivious to being watched. Justin smiled at first. His husband looked so peaceful. Justin knew he had drawn Brian sleeping many times. He loved the vulnerable look on Brian’s face when he slept. The cares of the world, and the demons that Brian had to fight all his life, all faded away when he slept. He looked so content and beautiful today in the warm glow of the summer sun.

After a couple of moments, Justin said gently, “Brian.” Brian stirred slightly. “Brian,” Justin repeated.

“Hm, you’re home,” Brian said his eyes fluttering open.

“Just got here. It’s almost dinner time. Are you hungry?”

Brian stretched, and then winced when some of his muscles grabbed. “I guess I could eat something.”

“I thought we’d have salad and some nice crusty bread that I picked up.” Justin smiled to himself as he realized Brian had sat up still holding the grey bunny on his lap. Brian’s hand ran down the back of the bunny, petting it like it was a real rabbit, as he talked to Justin.

“What are you smiling at?” Brian asked.

Justin glanced at the grey bunny. “That,” he said.

“How did that get here?” Brian asked genuinely surprised.

“I thought you were missing our daughter.”

“I was, but I didn’t bring the bunny out here,” Brian stated.

Beau raised his head and gave a little woof.

“I think our answer to how bunny got here is lying over there on Beau’s bed,” Justin laughed.

“Good dog,” Brian said.

Beau’s ears perked up and his tail gave a wag.

“You are a good dog, Beau,” Justin agreed. “We need you to look after all of us.”

“Don’t tell anybody,” Brian whispered, “but I think Beau misses Bree as much as I do.”

Beau woofed in agreement.

“Come on, big guy. Help me make a salad,” Justin said.

Brian got up from the chaise to follow Justin to the kitchen. He dropped the grey bunny on the chaise. Beau watched them leave then he walked over to the chaise and hopped up on it. He laid down with his head resting against the grey bunny. He had given it to Brian to comfort his master. Now it was his turn to remember the little girl he was missing, along with his other family. Beau fell asleep in an instant.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 14





“What are you going to wear to the dance tonight?” Meghan asked as the girls walked off the soccer field together. They had just completed a series of drills.

“I don’t know,” Bree said with a frown. “Do you think anybody will dance?”

Meghan shrugged. “I don’t know. But, um, will you help me pick out something to wear?”

“Sure,” Bree replied. “I think I saw a shorts outfit in your suitcase that would look nice.”

Meghan smiled. “You know a lot about clothes. How come you know that, when you don’t have a mommy?”

“My Dada knows a lot about fashion,” Bree replied knowledgably. “He looks good when he gets dressed up. I told you he helps me with what to wear.”

“Your Dada must be very smart.”

“Very smart,” Bree agreed with a bob of her ponytail. “My Daddy’s very smart too … but in a different way.”

“Different?”

“Yeah, he’s an artist. He knows a lot about art and about helping people and about cooking.”

“He makes the good porridge, right?”

“Yep, almost as good as Hudson’s.”

“You were going to tell me about Hudson.”

“Oh yeah. Let’s get a soda and some cookies and I’ll tell you all about her.”



*****



“Are you going to the dance tonight?” Tom asked Patrick.

“I think we have to go.”

“We do?” Tom asked horrified. “Are you going to dance?”

“No,” Patrick replied emphatically. “I don’t know how to dance.”

“Me either,” Tom said with relief.

“We better get ready for practice,” Patrick advised.



*****



Matt walked into the garden centre. He asked Janine if Todd was in his office. When she responded in the affirmative, Matt tapped on the door frame to get Todd’s attention.

“What can I do for you?” Todd asked looking up at Matt from where he was working on his computer.

“I got today’s jobs all done,” Matt informed his boss.

“Good man.”

“I … I even got a compliment.”

“A compliment?”

“Yeah, Mrs. Jackson out on Lake Road said that her grass was cut better today than it had ever been cut before,” Matt said proudly.

“That’s good work.”

“She wanted me to pass that on to you.”

“Well, now you’ve done that.”

“Yes, but…”

“Something else?”

“Mr. Kinney told me that I might be able to get ahead in this job if I learned more about weeds and flowers. He said he might help me.”

“He mentioned that to me too,” Todd said as he rifled through the papers on his desk. “I picked up this course guide at the junior college. They’re offering several gardening courses this fall.”

“Oh? School,” Matt said with a frown.

“You don’t like school?”

“Not much. I … didn’t do very well there.”

“Maybe you’ll do better at something you like,” Todd suggested.

“Do you think they’ll let me in? I never got my high school diploma,” Matt informed his boss.

“These are general interest courses. I don’t think there are any prerequisites.”

“That’s good.”

“Anyway, have a look at the course descriptions, and if you see something that would help you advance in this business, consider taking it.”

Matt nodded. “I’ll have a look.” He turned to leave.

“And Matt, you have the job … cutting grass right now, but with chance of advancement as you prove yourself.”

“Thanks, Boss,” Matt said happily before he left the office.



*****



“They’re here!” Meghan said excitedly. “They’re getting off the bus. How do I look?”

“You look nice,” Bree told her friend. She had helped Meghan select a shorts outfit. It was pale yellow with a blue flower in the middle of the tank top. Bree knew it was nothing she would wear, but it suited Meghan.

Bree had on her best pink shorts outfit. The shorts and top were finely tailored and fit Bree perfectly. Her Dada had bought it for her at the beginning of the summer. She had managed to get her hair into a passable ponytail at one side of her head, but her Dada could have done it better. She placed a shiny barrette in the other side of her hair and decided that would have to do. She slipped on her matching pink Vans.

“You look … great,” Meghan said in awe.

“Thanks,” Bree said. “Let’s go.”

The girls left the bunkhouse and walked towards the mess hall where the dance was being held. The boys had all gone inside. The counselors had told the girls who were from ages 7-10 that the boys of the same age from the camp up the road would be brought there for the dance. At the same time the girls who were 11-13 were taken by bus to the boys’ camp for a dance with boys of that age group. The adults wanted to keep everything age appropriate.

As Bree and Meghan approached the entrance to the mess hall, one of the older girls arrived too. She looked the two girls up and down. “You look ridiculous in those outfits,” the girl said to them. Meghan looked crestfallen.

“Like you would know, wearing that stupid black thing,” Bree retorted. Nobody hurt her friend’s feelings and got away with it.

“Hmppfft!” the girl snorted before going into the dining hall.

“Thanks for telling her off,” Meghan said meekly.

“She’s stupid. She doesn’t know nothin’.” Bree took Meghan’s hand and they walked into the mess hall. The lights had been dimmed and music was playing. Nobody was dancing. Everyone sat around the outside of the room looking uncomfortable. Most of the boys had raided the refreshment table and were pigging out on soda and chips.

“Bree!” a voice called. Bree turned to see who it was.

“Patrick!” Bree gasped. “I didn’t know you’d be here.”

“I am,” Patrick said with a big smile as he walked over to the two girls. Bree introduced him to Meghan and they found some chairs to sit down and talk. Bree told Patrick about her soccer games and Patrick told about his exploits in baseball, including his bruise. That earned a solicitous hug from Bree.

The girl in black walked by at that moment and made some mumbled comment.

“That girl isn’t very nice,” Meghan informed Patrick.

“She seems … evil,” Patrick said.

Bree and Meghan laughed.

“Dance with me, Patrick?” Bree asked batting her eyelashes at her cousin.

“Um, nobody else is dancing.”

“We can be first.”

“I … I don’t know.”

“Come on,” Bree pleaded.

“Oh, all right,” Patrick agreed. He allowed Bree to take his hand, and they walked out onto the empty floor. “Everyone’s watching,” Patrick said self-consciously.

“Pretend we’re at one of the family celebrations. ‘Member when you danced with me?”

“Yeah,” Patrick said as he placed his hands on Bree’s waist. She put her hands on his shoulders and they swayed to the music.

When the song ended there were four or five other couples on the floor. Bree and Patrick had got the dance started.



*****



“Did you take dance lessons?” Meghan asked Bree as the girls were escorted back to their bunkhouses. The dance had concluded and the boys from the baseball camp were all loaded back onto their buses, then taken back to their camp. Patrick blushed as Bree gave him an enthusiastic hug before he left. Bree missed her fathers but realized just how much she missed her Patrick and her uncles too.

“Nope,” Bree smiled.

“You dance real good.”

“I’ve been dancing my whole life,” Bree said with all of her seven years of vast experience behind her.

“Really?” Meghan asked duly impressed.

“Yup. My daddies love to dance.”

“Your daddies dance? With each other?” Meghan asked incredulously. “Wow, my mommy and daddy never dance together.”

“Never? Why?”

“I don’t know. Mommy says she has two left feet and daddy says dancing is for sissies.”

“My daddies aren’t sissies,” Bree said with a frown. “My daddies are, are, DADDIES. And they dance real good together. And they dance all the time, even when there’s no music.”

“But how can you dance with no music?”

“I’m not sure,” Bree replied as they were getting ready for bed. “But I member we had a party and my Dada put on some music and it was real loud and fast.” Before Bree climbed up on her bunk, she demonstrated the dance moves she saw some of her uncles do to the thumpa thumpa music. “But my daddies danced real slow like me and Patrick were dancing. And then the song finished but they kept on dancing.”

“Wooowww,” Meghan said with amazement.

“I miss my daddies,” Bree said softly as she climbed into her bunk and snuggled under her sheet. “I miss my grey bunny too,” she mumbled into her pillow.



*****



“Raaay-mond! I see your boyfriend let you out for a breather,” Wayne snarked as Ray came into the diner to buy lunch for Gus. Gus was up to his eyeballs in display boards and making poster sized copies. He couldn’t stop to get lunch. So Ray thought he’d be a considerate boyfriend by picking up a couple of hearty sandwiches at the local diner. Unfortunately, Wayne was sitting at the counter with some of their mutual acquaintances.

“How ya doin’, Ray?” Wayne continued.

“What do you want, Wayne?”

“Nothing, just wondering why you brought the troll back to New York with you,” Wayne sneered as the guys laughed.

“He’s not a troll. The only troll I see around here is you,” Ray snapped back. The guys whooped and hollered at Ray’s jibe.

“I still don’t know what you see in him.”

“It’s real simple, Wayne. And if you weren’t trying to prove what a fucking dog you are, maybe you’d figure it out,” Ray said as he waited for his order.

“Yeah? Enlighten me.”

“He makes me laugh, plain and simple. He’s nice, smart and we’re friends. Something you and me are never gonna be,” Ray emphatically said as he paid for his sandwiches then left the diner.

“We’ll see,” Wayne mumbled as he threw down some bills on the counter then left the diner too. Quickly seeing that Ray was nowhere in sight, Wayne went home.



*****



“My fucking back,” Brian grumbled as he stood up in the middle of a patch of weeds. Fortunately for him, the weeds were only weeds and not poison ivy as the owners had feared. Brian quickly made note of the poison ivy patches hidden in the old neglected garden and had called in the experts to remove them before his crew started working.

Brian had been asked in as a consultant to resurrect an old garden that was situated behind the local church, of all places. It was a small church with an even smaller congregation. The church elders reasoned that if the gardens were made attractive the younger members of the church would consider holding their wedding receptions there in good weather. The garden was large enough for other events as well.

The church had a limited budget but Brian was experienced with budgets and assured the church elders that he could work a miracle. Brian chuckled as he wiped his brow then dug into his work bucket for a bottle of ice water. He had a reputation in his younger days for being the devil himself and now he was standing in the shadow of a church attempting to breathe life back into a poor old garden.

“Mr. Kinney?” the pastor called out to Brian as he walked out of the rectory back door.

“Brian, please,” he said as he wiped his dirty hand against pants before taking the pastor’s hand.

“You’re doing God’s work, Brian. I’m not afraid of a little dirt.”

“I’m not sure that pulling weeds and turning over soil can be considered God’s work.”

“I’m sure,” the pastor responded with confidence. Brian shrugged his shoulders. Who was he to argue. “We should have thought about doing this a long time ago,” the pastor added, with some regret in his voice as he looked around. “It’s too late to take advantage of it this year.”

“I don’t see why. We can overload the garden with annuals for now. We have plenty of flats that are in bloom. The bulbs and perennials will sprout next year. If we have a warm Fall, you can hold your events into October.”

The pastor nodded as he contemplated the possibilities. “And next year?”

“We’ll be back in early Spring to fill in gaps with more annuals. In a few years the perennials will fully grow in and start to spread. You won’t need to fill in with annuals then.”

“And maintenance?”

“That’s up to you. We can train someone if you have your own gardener or you can hire the garden center for a yearly fee. We’ll also clear away the snow,” Brian added. He was automatically making a pitch.

“Snow removal too?”

“We like to provide full service but there’s no obligation. You talk it over with the church elders and just let Todd know what services you’d like.”

“Thank you, Brian. I’ll do just that.” Before the pastor went back inside to get out of the August heat, he turned back. “You don’t strike me as a man who does manual labor for a living.”

Brian smiled. “Pretty observant.”

“In my line of work, it pays to be observant.” Brian and the pastor laughed at the pun.

“Normally, I don’t. I sit behind a desk most of the time. Gardening became a hobby of mine. I found it helps to clear out the cobwebs, and gar-gar as my daughter likes to call it brought me closer to my children. I just recently decided to take my attention to detail a bit further.”

The pastor thought for a moment. “Did you have to redo the edges of your lawn too?” the pastor asked Brian.

“Yep.” The pastor nodded in understanding then let Brian get back to his work.

Just as Brian finished off his water, his cellphone rang. Brian smiled at the number. “Sunshine! And how are you this fine afternoon? Where are you on this fine afternoon? I woke up all alone with just a note saying you had things to do, people to see.”

“I’m at the gallery, Bri. My show is opening soon. You remember my show, don’t you? Or has the sun addled your brain?”

“Very funny. Ha. Ha. I didn’t forget, but while you’re playing with pretty pictures I’m getting dirt and cow manure under my nails.” Brian looked down and winced at the state of his fingernails.

“Poor you,” Justin snarked then suddenly became serious. “Bri, I’m going to try to convince Candy and her mother to move out of that hell hole and into the vacant apartment in your building.”

“Our building and that’s fine. Did you speak with Dr. Nick?” Justin had asked Nick to go over Janet’s health record to verify all that could be done has been done. Janet gave her permission but it took all of Justin’s powers of persuasion.

“Yeah. He mentioned some treatments that will help to keep Janet comfortable, but he agreed that a nice clean environment will help. He’s going to arrange for a hospice nurse to come in.”

“Hospice? I didn’t think it was that bad.”

“It is and I’m going to ask Bobby to help too.”

“Justin, I think she needs the nurse more.”

“She’ll need to make arrangements, Bri.”

“Okay, that makes sense. Go forth, Sunshine and do what you need to do. I have weeds to beat into submission.” Justin’s laugh warmed Brian’s heart and went straight to his dick. “Later, Sunshine,” Brian whispered as he took out another bottle of water to cool himself down.

“Later!”

They both had work to do.



*****



“May I please speak with Chris?” Janet asked as she stood at the door of the Hobbs residence which was really the family home of his wife.

“Whom shall I say is calling?” a rather stiff looking gentleman asked at the door.

“Janet Cummings, an old school...friend,” Janet replied. She had come to Chris’ house hoping to convince him to do his duty and take care of Candy when Janet was gone.

“One moment, please. You may wait here,” the butler said indicating Janet should wait in the entrance foyer. After some time, the man was back. Janet thought he was wearing a smug look on his face. “The master is not receiving today. He requests that you make an appointment in a couple of months.”

“That may be too late,” she pleaded to no avail. Then Janet was unceremoniously shown the door.



*****



“Justin?” Bobby said when he answered his cellphone. He and John were in a rowboat on the Central Park lake.

“Bobby, I hate to disturb you on your vacation but I need your help.”

“Sure. Now?”

“No it can wait till you get back “

“O-kay,” Bobby said perplexed, but he heard the worry in Justin’s voice.

“Justin, is there something John and I should know?”

“No, well maybe, I’m not sure. Just bone up on guardianship of minor children,” Justin said as he hung up.

“Okay. Wait! Who?!” Bobby said standing up and nearly tipping over the boat.


Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 15






Bree and Meghan were sitting in the mess hall finishing up their breakfast. The two weeks at camp were almost over. Today was the big game, the final game before they left camp to go home.

“Are your daddies coming for the game?” Meghan asked.

“Yeah, I can’t wait for them to get here,” Bree replied.

“I hope I score a goal so my mommy and daddy can see what I’ve learned.”

“I think you will. You play real good now.”

“Thanks,” Meghan replied with a big smile. She felt that she had improved a lot since the beginning of the camp. She knew she was much more confident. “I want my daddy to be proud of me.”

“Isn’t your daddy proud of you all the time?” Bree asked, puzzled by Meghan’s comment. Her daddies always seemed to be proud of her, except when she was really bad.

“Sometimes I think he likes my brother more than me. My daddy loves sports, so I want to be good for him.”

“Shouldn’t you be good for yourself first?”

“Um…” Meghan started to say something, but she wasn’t sure how to answer Bree’s question.

“Attention, girls!” Abigail Minton called out. The girls quieted down. “Today is your final day of camp. I want to tell you all how happy the counselors and I are at the progress made by each and every one of you since your arrival here. We hope you’ll have a great game today. Play hard and enjoy yourselves.”

The girls clapped loudly for the coach and their counselors who smiled at the group of girls, pleased by the response from their charges.

“Oh, and make sure you pack all your belongings after breakfast. Check the closets and drawers so that you don’t leave anything behind. You’ll be going home with your parents after the game.”

“I hate packing,” Bree said as they headed back to their bunkhouse after breakfast. “My Dada usually does it for me.”

“I don’t mind packing,” Meghan said. “I can help you.”

“That would be good,” Bree agreed. Meghan smiled happily.



*****



“Are you ready to go home today?” Tom asked Patrick as they finished up breakfast at baseball camp.

“Yeah, I’ve had fun here, and I learned quite a bit,” Patrick said thoughtfully. “But I’ll be happy to see my dads today. I missed them. I’m ready to go home.”

“Me too,” Tom agreed. “Can we keep in touch after camp?” he asked, his voice rather tentative.

Patrick grinned. “Sure, that would be great.”

“Maybe our dads can fix it so we can meet up.”

“Sure.”

Tom wondered why Patrick was so quiet. “Are your dads going to make it to the game today?”

“They said they would,” Patrick answered. “I hope they get back from New York in time.”

“Yeah. They can see what a good pitcher you are.”

Patrick smiled. “My Poppa will be proud if I get to pitch today.”

“I hope my dad will be proud too,” Tom replied. He didn’t sound very sure of that though.

“He’ll be very proud of you, Tom,” Patrick assured him. “We should go pack like the coach said.”

“Yeah,” Tom concurred. They headed for their bunkhouse.



*****



“Your little girl is coming home today,” Justin said smugly as Brian was driving them to Bree’s camp.

“That’s quite the newsflash, Sunshine,” Brian replied sarcastically.

“Don’t pretend like you’re not excited.”

“Haven’t we had this conversation before?”

“Maybe something similar.”

“I’ll be glad to have Bree home,” Brian admitted. “But then she’s going to start piano lessons, and then school, and probably university in a month or two.”

Justin laughed heartily. “You are such a worry wart.”

“I never used to worry about anything until I met you,” Brian said pointedly.

Justin was taken aback for a moment. He didn’t want to be the source of Brian’s worry. Then a smile crossed his handsome face. “That’s because you never cared enough about anything to worry about it,” he informed his husband.

“Is that right?”

“Yep, and now you have a home and a loving family to be concerned about. To say nothing about a hot, sexy partner who keeps you satisfied every minute of every day.”

“Is that what my hot sexy partner does?” Brian asked with a smirk. “I’ll have to introduce him to you one of these days.”

“Asshole!” Justin reacted. He gave Brian’s arm a swat.

“Hey, driving here. Keep your hands off,” Brian chuckled.

“I haven’t kept my hands off you all week,” Justin reminded him with a lustful grin.

“All two weeks.”

“True.”

“But now we’ll have to lock our door and limit our … activities to our bedroom.”

“Is that such a bad thing?”

“Not bad at all,” Brian admitted. “However, I did enjoy fucking you on most of the surfaces at Edna’s Treasures.”

“Yeah, I think we got everything scrubbed down,” Justin laughed.

“What’s a little spunk among family?” Brian countered.

“Eiw, gross!”

“Don’t sweat it, Sunshine. No one will ever know what we did while they were away.”

“Wanna bet?”

“What do you mean?” Brian asked with a frown.

“They all know you, and me, so well that they don’t even have to guess what we’ve been doing ever since Bree and your brother left.”

“You think?” Brian smirked.

“I know.”

“I could always feign innocence. I’ll tell them I’ve been digging in gardens and shoveling cow manure ever since they left.”

“Yeah, you’re so good at feigning innocence,” Justin chuckled.

“Twat,” Brian responded as he took the cut off to Bree’s camp.



*****



“Do you think we’ll make it in time?” Bobby asked as John was driving them to Patrick’s camp.

John and Bobby had decided to stay one more night in New York, and then get up before the crack of dawn to drive back for Patrick’s game at camp.

“We’re doing fine,” John said simply.

“We should have come back last night.”

“No, we deserved our vacation … all of it,” John replied.

“It was … great!” Bobby said. “I only love you more every day.”

John smiled. “I didn’t think I could ever be this happy. You have made my life complete.”

“Yeah,” Bobby agreed with a satisfied look on his handsome face. “But I don’t want to disappoint Patrick.”

“We’ll be there in time,” John assured his husband. “Even if we don’t see the first pitch, we’ll be there before the game is over.”

“And what if Patrick is throwing that first pitch?” Bobby asked.

“Oh, I never thought about that,” John admitted. He stepped down hard on the accelerator.



*****



Brian and Justin had gotten to the camp with plenty of time to spare. While Bree’s team was going through their warm-ups and last minute instruction, the boys packed her belongings into Justin’s Cherokee. Patrick’s camp had coordinated their games so that his big game was later in the afternoon. Bree, Brian and Justin were planning to go to his game.

“Come on, Bri, I want to get a good seat,” Justin whined as they were loading up the back of the SUV.

“If you’re that worried, go to the bleachers and save me a seat. I want to make sure the bags are secure.”

“How secure can two bags be?”

“Secure enough so that they don’t roll around. Bree said she made us all some things out of clay. She’d be devastated if anything got broken,” Brian explained as he carefully bungeed down the bags.

“Oh,” Justin replied thoughtfully then he smiled radiantly. The big bad ‘heartless’ Brian Kinney was taking the time to make sure a little girl’s treasures would make it home intact. “Okay. I’ll get us a couple bottles of water and save you a seat,” Justin said as he discreetly kissed Brian’s cheek before sprinting back toward the field.

“You do that,” Brian mumbled from inside the hatch of the Cherokee, intent on completing the job at hand. When he was satisfied Bree’s bags wouldn’t budge, Brian joined his spouse.

“Ms. Claire, fancy meetin’ you here,” Brian drawled as he kissed Claire’s cheek before he sat on the bench. Claire and Steve had decided to take in both games as well.

“And where else would I be? This is a big day for Bree,” Claire replied. Steve nodded in agreement.

“Nowhere,” Brian agreed with a smile. His heart was full of love and pride. Bree was growing up surrounded by love. Something that Brian had never dreamed of when he was Bree’s age. He leaned over to kiss Claire’s cheek. Justin patted Brian’s arm, sensing what Brian was thinking. Before things got way too lesbionic, Bree’s team ran out onto the field and they all cheered.



*****



“You scored the winning goal!” Justin shouted as Bree ran off the field into her Daddy’s waiting arms. The score had been tied two all when Bree’s fancy footwork paid off. She was able to snatch away the ball to score the tie breaking goal. Brian stood to the side marveling at the matching sunshine smiles his blond beauties were sporting as they hugged and laughed. His heart swelled.

“They are beautiful,” Steve, the normally stoic big man murmured loud enough for Brian to hear. Steve and Claire were waiting at the sidelines with Brian and several other cheering onlookers.

“Yes,” was all that Brian was capable of saying at the moment. Just then Bree became surrounded by her teammates as they all jumped up and down, screeching with joy.

“You’re a lucky man,” Steve added with a pat to Brian’s back.

“Yes, I am,” Brian got out just before Bree launched herself into her Dada’s arms.



*****



“We made it,” Bobby said as he and John pulled into the parking lot of Patrick’s camp. They hurried out of the Navigator to get to the stands.

“Over here!” Justin called out as he stood to wave the guys over. Hugs and kisses were passed all around just before the singing of the National Anthem.

“Play ball!” called the umpire and the game commenced with Patrick throwing the starting pitch.



*****



It was the bottom of the ninth, two outs and the tying run on second. Patrick was up at bat with one strike. He was tired and his chest and pitching arm were aching. The August sun was beating down making heat waves ripple across the turf.

“Concentrate,” Bobby said softly as he intensely watched his son. “Pick your moment, don’t let it pick you,” he said as his eyes flicked back to the pitcher then down to the catcher signaling behind Patrick. “Fast ball,” he murmured. “You can do this. You can do this.”

The pitcher let the ball fly, Patrick zoomed in on the ball, watching it spin toward him then, “CRACK!” Patrick caught a piece of it. He took off like a shot not knowing if it was enough. The player on second scored as Patrick’s ball soared toward the outfield. The ball flew over the pitcher toward centerfield but the boy in the outfield misjudged Patrick’s strength and was a little too far in. Patrick made it to second base and for a second he held on.

“Run! Run!” Bobby shouted more to himself than to Patrick, as they were sitting too far up the bleachers to be heard. Bobby knew there was power in Patrick’s long lanky Kinney legs. As if Patrick heard his father, and before the outfielder could fully recover the ball, Patrick ran.

Passing third base, Patrick thought he heard, his father.

“Slide! Slide! He doesn’t have it,” Bobby yelled. Patrick slid toward home, his long arms outstretched just as the outfielder threw toward home.

When the dust settled... “SAFE!” called the umpire then Patrick felt himself hoisted up on the shoulders of his teammates.

“Yes!” Bobby and John shouted. “That’s my boy!” they said again, hugging and laughing. Bree, not all that familiar with the rules of baseball, jumped up and down, understanding well enough that her Patrick helped to win the game.

Slowly, the family made its way down to the field as the teams lined up to shake hands. Patrick stood tall, easily visible above most of the other boys with his red hair gleaming fire in the sun.

“Poppa!” Patrick shouted as he made out his father in the crowd.

“Patrick!” Bobby called out as he made it through the crowd. The red-heads hugged tight, patting each other on the back. “I am so damn proud of you,” Bobby said with tears of joy glistening in his eyes.

John stood on the sideline waiting, taking it all in as his family made it over to his son. Dr. Dan and Emily were also there. They were sitting on the other side of the field, watching the game just as they did when their own son was playing. Rachel and George were adding their congratulations as well.

Brian sidled up to his brother and nudged his shoulder. The Kinney brother’s briefly gazed into each other’s eyes. They smiled knowingly as Brian patted his brother’s back, acknowledging that they were the luckiest men on the planet.

Rachel kissed the boy she called ‘nephew,’ smiling softly, her mother and Claire at her side offering silent support for the sacrifices Rachel had made. As mothers they felt her pain, longing and pride. Patrick had an extra long hug for the woman he called ‘aunt.’ He had been told the truth several years ago when he was old enough to understand. Patrick had a special place in his heart for his aunt.

“Paaatwick!” Bree called out. Her petite body shoved the taller ones around her so she could get to her Patrick. Patrick grinned ear to ear as they hugged. He even allowed Bree to kiss his cheek and didn’t wipe it off.

As John got in his hugs, Brian made a suggestion. “I think this calls for a barbecue!” The family all agreed. John and Bobby quickly loaded up Patrick’s gear into the Navigator as Patrick said goodbye to his camp buddies. Then the family caravanned back to Edna’s Treasures for a celebratory feast.



*****



Later that night when the cottage was settled, Brian and Justin took a moonlit stroll to the stream. Their two weeks of solitude was over and they were very happy about it.

“So I guess this means we can’t fuck all over the cottage anymore,” Justin said wistfully as he hopped up on the great rock.

“Nope,” Brian said as he stood in front of his spouse, in between Justin’s thighs. He hung his arms over Justin’s shoulders. “We’ll just have to wait until next summer when the kids go away to camp again and Bobby spirits my brother away,” Brian stated with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

“Sounds like you have it all planned out,” Justin responded with a smirk.

“Never let it be said that Brian Kinney leaves anything for the last minute.”

“You are the epitome of organization.”

“Does that mean I can organize a kiss out of you?” Brian said leaning in closer to Justin’s ruby red lips.

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Justin said breathlessly leaning up to meet Brian’s lips as they descended upon his own. The boys kissed, their tongues exploring, promising so much more.

“How about a stream-side fuck?” Brian suggested.

“I don’t know. What if a big bad frog hops close?” Justin teased.

“Let him get his own Sunshine, you’re already taken,” Brian bravely quipped with another kiss. The local night noises of crickets and frogs were singing happily by their little stream.

“My big brave prince,” Justin cooed. However, a loud croaking of a bullfrog persuaded Brian to change his mind.

“On the other hand, we do have a big comfortable bed and central air conditioning.”

“Very true,” Justin agreed nonchalantly as he hopped down from the rock. He would never mention his husband’s feet of clay. Justin took Brian’s hand, leading him back to the path and on toward the cottage.

They were almost to the sun porch door when Brian’s cell rang. Brian arched his brow at the number. They stood just outside the door as Brian took the call.

“Sonny Boy? What’s up?”

“Dad, I think I want to come home,” Gus said disappointedly.

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked, shrugging his shoulders when Justin patted his arm with concern.

“I guess I’m just not cut out for this business. I can’t seem to do anything right.”

“Gus, why don’t you let me be the judge of that? What happened?”

“Stacey was giving a pitch to this new beer company and I kept dropping the boards and then I backed into the table that held the beer and one fell and it exploded and glass went everywhere and...”

“GUS!” Brian shouted to break the loop Gus seemed to be caught on. “Breathe. Did anyone get hurt?”

“Yeah.”

“Who?”

“Me.”

Brian’s heart stopped for a second. Then he took a breath. “How bad?”

“A couple of stitches.”

“Why wasn’t I called?”

“I’m over eighteen, I asked them not to. But Uncle Ken and Uncle Simon insisted I call you.”

“And I’m glad they did. Are you all right? Not badly injured?”

“Only my pride.”

“We can fix that. Is Raymond there?”

“Yeah, right here.”

“May I speak to him?”

“Sure,” Gus said dejectedly as he passed his phone to Ray.

“Ray? Just answer me yes or no.”

“Okay.”

“Is he hurt bad?”

“No.”

“Really just his pride?”

“Yeah.”

"So I don't need to fly there tonight?"

"No."

“Good. Your GLC, is it holding any summer dances? He’s still too young for clubs.”

“Yes, tonight.”

“Take him. I’ll get Stacey to give him a couple of days off to get his head screwed on straight. Beer bottles shouldn’t shatter that way. Something stinks.”

“We didn’t think of that.”

“That’s why they pay me the big bucks. Let me speak to your boyfriend.”

“Okay.”

“Dad?”

“Gus, do what Ray tells you and we'll talk more tomorrow afternoon.”

“But?”

“Goodnight, Gus. I love you and I’m very proud of you. Go out and have fun.”

“But...”

“And call your sister tomorrow, her team won!”

“But...”

“Night, Sonny Boy.”

“Night, Dad. I love you too.” Brian cut the connection.

“Is he all right?” Justin asked, worried.

“He’ll be fine. He’s learning the hard way that life isn’t always that easy.”

“Hmm, like I learned the hard way?”

“You mean all that hard work you had to do, deep into the night?”

“Something like that. Why don’t I show you just how hard working I can be?”

“Lead on, McSunshine,” Brian said as he slid open the door for Justin.

Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 16





“Stacey? Brian Kinney.”

“Gus called you.”

“Yes, he did.”

“I didn’t expect him to go running to daddy, but I guess I should have.”

“He’s ready to quit and come home,” Brian said bluntly.

“Quit? Why?”

“He thinks he can’t do anything right.”

“When he got here, he thought he couldn’t do anything wrong. He was pretty full of himself,” Stacey explained.

“And you decided to take him down a peg or two.”

“Well, I thought…”

“Stacey, he doesn’t have any pegs left,” Brian told her keeping his voice even.

“I didn’t realize…”

“You thought he was like me … able to handle whatever you dished out.”

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Stacey admitted.

“Well, he’s very young. He has barely any experience in business.”

“Okay, I should have been a little gentler with him, but he also…”

“I know,” Brian interrupted. “He had a swelled head when he went to New York. Everything he did at my branch in Harrisburg turned to gold. He thought the same thing was going to happen with you.”

“And all he did was mix up boards and drop things,” Stacey explained.

“I think you scared him.”

“Scared him?”

“You’re pretty formidable when you choose to be. I seem to remember that you put me in my place a time or two.”

“In New York…”

“I know, you have to be tough as nails. I’m not making excuses for my son, but I also don’t want him held to a higher standard than anyone else because he’s my son,” Brian stated firmly.

“Understood.”

“Good.”

“I’ll see what I can do to make things right.”

“I’d appreciate that.”

“Consider it done.”

“Oh, and Stacey…”

“Yes?”

“Don’t let him off scott free either.”

“Never,” Stacey said with a chuckle before she hung up.

Brian pulled the phone away from his ear. He looked at it for a moment before placing it back in its cradle in his attic office at Edna’s Treasures. He leaned back in his chair wondering if he had done the right thing. He didn’t want to interfere with Gus. He wanted his son to make his own way. But he wanted that done fairly. He had a feeling Gus’ attitude and his last name had made Stacey be harder on him than she would have been with any other intern. He hoped Stacey could straighten matters out.



*****



“Hey, Squirt,” Brian said as he sat down on the edge of Bree’s bed. “Time to get up.”

“Tired,” Bree replied as her eyes fluttered open.

“It’s ten o’clock in the morning.”

“Ten?”

“Yes, ten.”

“I was tired,” Bree said with a huge yawn.

“No kidding, but I think it’s time you and grey bunny got up and had some breakfast.”

“I love my grey bunny.” Bree hugged the stuffed animal to her chest. “I love my bed. I love my room.”

Brian chuckled. “Are you happy to be home?”

Bree nodded. “I loved camp, but two weeks is … a long time.”

“Yes, it is … a very long time,” Brian agreed. “Did you have fun at camp?”

“Yep, and I made a new friend and … I scored the winning goal,” Bree crowed now fully awake.

“Yes, you did,” Brian concurred as he pulled his daughter into a major hug. “Are you ready to get up?”

“Will daddy make me porridge?”

“He started it before I came to get you.”

“Yum,” Bree said, and that was that.



*****



“Come in, Gus. Have a seat,” Stacey said as she called Gus into her office. She had done a lot of thinking since Brian’s phone call.

“Um, am I fired?” Gus asked with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. “I know I screwed up. I’m really sorry about dropping the boards.”

“Gus, hold up,” Stacey ordered holding up her hand to stop his outburst. “Are you always this nervous?”

“N…Nervous?” Gus asked.

“Yes, nervous, as in full of nerves which causes a person to make foolish mistakes and … drop things.”

Gus stared at his boss. What was she asking him? Was this a trick question? How should he respond? Maybe it would be best to make a stupid response. Then she’d send him home and put him out of his misery. Except that he’d be letting his father down, letting the family down, letting himself down.

“Gus,” Stacey was saying as he tuned back in to what was going on. “Gus?”

“Um, yes, sorry, just trying to decide how to answer you.”

“That’s about the most honest thing you’ve said to me since you came here.”

“Huh?”

“I think you heard me, Gus.”

“Yes, yes, I did, but I don’t understand…”

“I guess that’s been our problem since the very beginning,” Stacey explained. “I should have sat you down and talked to you about my expectations for you right from the outset.”

“That would have been great,” Gus admitted with a sigh. “I dressed all wrong for New York the first day, and Ray told me I should change, and then I was late and everything went downhill from there.”

“Gus, because you are Brian’s son, I may have had higher expectations than I should have.”

“No, Ms. Manning, you should have high expectations of me. I just didn’t live up to them.” Gus hung his head dejectedly, looking down between his legs.

“Gus, that’s not true … entirely. I need to remember that you’re just an intern, just starting out. And you need to remember that too. You’re not your father, and nobody expects you to be. At least not yet, but maybe someday.” Stacey smiled at the young man as he looked up at her.

“Yeah, I tried to do too much, and it all turned out wrong.” Gus shook his head at the folly of what he had done.

“Then what do you say about starting over again … with a fresh slate.”

“Really? I’d like that a lot.”

“Then consider it done … and so there are no more misunderstandings, this is what I expect…”



*****



“So camp was good for you too, Patrick?” Justin asked as both families sat around the breakfast table at Edna’s Treasures. Not only Bree had found it difficult to get up.

“It was great,” Patrick enthused.

“You played real good in your game,” Bree told him.

“Thanks, Bree. I wish I could have seen you score the winning goal.”

“I think Grandma Claire may have that recorded,” John laughed. “She told me all about it after Patrick’s game. She was very proud of both you children.”

Patrick and Bree beamed at the praise.

“Daddy, the next time I go to camp, can I take my grey bunny with me?” Bree asked.

“Did any of the other children have stuffed animals with them?” Justin asked.

“Yeah, little ones.”

“Grey bunny is quite large.”

“I don’t care. I missed him,” Bree stated.

“You can do whatever you want,” Justin said. “Right, Brian?”

“Sure,” Brian said non-committally. “What did you do without grey bunny to sleep with you?”

“Meghan and me slept together the first night,” Bree said. “She was crying and I didn’t want her to be scared.”

“Were you scared?”

“A little bit,” Bree admitted. “It’s hard with all those girls and I didn’t know any of them, and I missed my daddies and my Patrick and my uncles and everybody.”

“I missed you too, Bree,” Patrick said earning a sunshine smile from the little girl. “That first night was kind of lonely.”

“Yeah,” Bree agreed.

“You don’t have to go to camp next year if you don’t want to,” Brian said hopefully, thinking that maybe Bree had changed her mind about camp.

“Oh no, Dada, Coach will be expecting me next year. She said she thought I’d play even better.”

“And so you will,” Bobby told her.

Everyone smiled at the little girl, but Brian’s smile had a wistful quality that only Justin saw.



*****



“She’s fine,” the doctor reassured Leda and Jamie.

“And the baby?” Leda quickly asked.

“Baby is fine too.”

“See, you were worrying for nothing,” Jamie gently chastised.

“I don’t think it was for nothing. You tripped and almost fell down. You could have been seriously hurt or the baby...” Leda wrapped her arms around the younger woman.

“I’m fine. I admit to being a little extra clumsy lately but I feel fine. And we have a long way to go before the baby is due. I don’t want to spend the next seven months walking on eggshells. I have a show coming up and I’ll be teaching the Fall semester. I can’t put my life on hold just because I’m pregnant.”

“But...”

“Ms. Thalberg, Jamie is strong and healthy. There is no reason to believe that you won’t have a healthy baby. And it is normal for some women to experience a little clumsiness. There are hormonal fluxes, body changes, alterations in diet, the slightest change can affect the equilibrium. I’ll make note of each of the changes during each visit, and if they fall out of the norm, we’ll pursue other tests. Will that make you feel any easier?” the doctor asked Leda.

“I guess so,” Leda replied, still unconvinced.

“Well I have all the confidence in the world in Dr. Shorr. She’s been my GYN for years and I trust her,” Jamie declared. “So, we’ll see you next month.”

“Yes. Make your appointment on your way out. And Leda, Jamie is fine.”

Leda nodded, keeping her nervous misgivings to herself.



*****



“I can’t believe the summer is almost over,” Gus commented as he snuggled into Ray. After a long day at N’rgy and Ray playing tour guide for the rest of the evening, the boys showered then had an early night. They were cuddling after round two, round one had been during their shower.

“You’ll be going back to Pittsburgh soon,” Ray said with resignation as he leaned in closer to his boyfriend. “I’m going to miss you.”

“Ray, don’t get mad but do you want to see other guys?”

“What?! Why the fuck would you ask me that?” Ray leaned back to look into Gus’ eyes. When Gus didn’t say anything, Ray took a guess. “You’ve been hearing shit about me and Wayne.” Gus nodded. “You know something, that fucker was a nice guy when I knew him in high school but then he got weird. I tried to be friends with him, talk with him when he was thinking that he was really gay, but he took it all wrong. And now he’s like my own personal stalker. Gus, I’m not looking to be with anyone but you. The shit he’s been saying is just that, shit. And even if he was a nicer guy, he’s not my type. You’re my type. I’m not like Cole. You can trust me. And I promise, if my feelings ever change then I’ll be up front with you. You were my friend first and I always want to be your friend no matter what happens. I just hope we stay more than friends for a real long time.”

Gus remained silent, thinking hard about what Ray just said.

“Let me ask you the same question. Do you want to see other guys? Or are you afraid that you might be tempted to fuck around when you go back to school. You’re hot; you got a killer body and a smile to match. You must have guys and girls trailing after you.”

“You think I’m hot?” Gus said with a coy smile.

“You’re also a twat. Now answer the question.”

“No, I don’t want to fuck around. What we have means a lot to me. It just feels right, inside. You know what I mean?”

“I know exactly what you mean,” Ray answered as he laid himself on top of Gus. The boys were a little sticky but they didn’t care. They loved the close feeling of their cocks rubbing together.

“Ray, about Wayne...” Gus began as he gazed into Ray’s dark brown eyes.

“He’s a troll, forget about him. You only have a few more days left here. The GLC is having their big end of summer dance this Friday night, let’s go. You’re my boyfriend and I want the whole world to know it,” Ray declared with determination. Ray knew there were times when he needed to put his foot down with Gus and this was one of those times. Ray punctuated his statement with kisses and grinding his cock into Gus. The boys moaned as their youthful bodies immediately responded.

“I want you,” Gus whispered wantonly as he spread his long legs. As Ray settled between them then slowly entered Gus, all doubts about other guys vanished as Gus was thoroughly loved by Ray.



*****



“Mama, do you have time to talk?” JR asked hesitantly into her phone.

“I always have time for you, sweetheart,” Mel said confidently, believing her own lies.

“Mmm,” JR murmured not convinced. “When are you coming home?”

“I’m not sure, honey. I just found the perfect apartment; you’ll love it. It looks over the bay.”

“Mama, school starts in a couple of weeks. I’ve been working with Daddy, saving up my money and stuff. I don’t have time to fly out for a visit.”

“Who’s talking about a visit? You’re my daughter, you belong with me.”

“Mama, what about Mommy and my friends and school and Gus and Bree. I don’t want to leave them.”

“JR, you belong with me,” Mel repeated. Before JR could answer, she heard a muffled voice in the background and her mother giggled. “JR, I’ll be sending you a ticket.”

“I don’t think so,” JR snapped back. “Daddy needs me and wants me to stay. I’m not leaving!” she shouted into her phone then snapped it shut before Mel could respond. She put the ringer on vibrate then shoved the phone deep into her bag where she could conveniently forget about it.

“What’s wrong, Honey?” Ben asked as he came out of the kitchen with a glass of juice.

“I don’t care what she says, I don’t want to leave here,” JR wailed as she wrapped her arms around the big man. Quickly setting his glass down on the table before he spilled it, Ben returned her hug.

“Who wants you to leave?” Ben asked very perplexed.

“Mama,” JR sniffled.

“Baby, your father and I have discussed this. You can stay here as long as you want,” Ben reassured the trembling girl. “We love you. We’ll fight for you if it comes down to that.”

“I love you too,” JR said into the rock hard chest as she hung on for dear life.



*****



Edna’s Treasures was getting back to normal after the mass exodus and the subsequent return of all its inhabitants. John had gone back to his construction company, inspecting the finishing touches to the school complex which was completed ahead of schedule. He also returned to his research project.

Patrick was happy just hanging out until school started, spending time with some of his camp buddies, his Grandma Claire and at The Farm with Steve.

Briana was living up to her commitment, faithfully practicing her piano lessons. Faith and Hope visited every day at ten for Bree’s lessons. Faith thought Bree’s progress was remarkable and was fond of saying so. Hope was not impressed and would sit in the sun porch reading novels as her mother gave the lessons. Brian found some excuse to hover closely, not trusting the standoffish little girl or her suck up mother. He could find no fault with the piano lessons, but was finding Faith’s incessant compliments and flirting annoying. Faith apparently seemed to think Brian needed saving and for some reason she was qualified to do it. If it wasn’t for the fact that Bree liked her, and the female companionship she provided for Bree, Brian would have kicked Faith and Hope out the door. Very uncharitable of him he realized. Justin was no help because he was in ‘art show preview’ mode spending his time in Pittsburgh, plus he was growing closer and closer to Candy and her mother.

“Before you go driving off to the Pitts to bond with your new emerging artists, Sunshine, would you care to explain these?” Brian snarked as he held up a stack of legal looking documents.

“Umm...” Brian arched a brow at his scheming spouse. “I asked Bobby to look into what it would take to get temporary custody of Candy?” Justin sort of explained as he coyly smiled, fluttering long blond lashes trying to bat his way into Brian’s logical heart. Brian held back his explosion and took a deep breath.

“Cassandra has a father.”

“No, she had a sperm donor who doesn’t give a shit whether her mother lives or dies. Did you know that Janet went to Hobbs’ house, mansion, I should say. She didn’t even make it past the butler. Hobbs won’t help and Janet is running out of time. But I have the time to do this. I would have gone to Melanie but...”

“That ship has sailed and I don’t think it’s coming back. Sunshine, are you sure about this?” Brian asked as he drew the younger man closer. “This is a big responsibility. Does Candy know what Hobbs did?”

Justin shook his head. “Not really, Janet knows but it’s not my place to tell her. It’s not my place to take away her father even if he never really was. I just want to help. They have no one. And if Janet dies, Candy will be all alone. I know what that’s like, to feel abandoned by your family, to have nowhere to go. Please, Bri, I have to do this.” Justin wrapped his arms around Brian, hanging onto the one person who never abandoned him.

“Then we do this together,” Brian said as he pushed Justin back just a little so he could look into the determined blue eyes. “Besides, the Squirt always wanted another sister. We should introduce them at your show. It won’t go over very well if Bree and Candy don’t get along,” Brian said with a smirk and a gleam in his eye. He was rewarded with one of Justin’s brightest smiles.

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet. When Hobbs finally catches a clue we might have one hell of a fight on our hands.”

“That’s why Bobby is calling in a team of lawyers who specialize in these cases. I want all our ducks in a row if he chooses to fight this.”

“All right, I haven’t been in a good fight since Stockwell. But Sunshine, we call in the family, all of them, because if Hobbs gets nasty this might affect them. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” Justin said with a smile, sticking his hand out to Brian, his partner in all things. Brian shook his head but also shook Justin’s hand sealing the bargain.

“Now what?” Brian asked. Justin’s stomach answered with a loud grumble.

“Uh, lunch?” Justin suggested. Brian laughed as he took Justin’s hand to lead him to the kitchen.



*****



The end of summer dance was in full swing when the boys got to the GLC. Dressed in their finest clubbing duds, Gus and Ray made a grand entrance. Jaws were dropping as they made their way to the food table.

“Too bad we can’t get into a real club,” Gus said into Ray’s ear. “I bet if we were in the Pitts my Pop would let us into Babylon.”

“Maybe, but I feel safe here,” Ray said as he bussed Gus’ cheek. “We don’t have to pretend to be older or be afraid that someone will spike our drinks.”

“Anyone can spike your drink anywhere,” Gus growled as he bristled. If he was a cat, his back would be arched and his hair sticking straight up. Ray followed Gus’ line of sight.

“Wayne,” they both said. Using his height, Gus made it a point to loom over Ray and glare menacingly at Wayne. Ray rolled his eyes at the theatrics then patted Gus’ back. He then let his hand stray lower to Gus’ ass to give it a pat. Gus did a double take then laughed. Ray smiled brightly knowing he had accomplished just what he set out to do.

“Only you, Gus,” Ray said as he stretched to give his boyfriend a kiss. “Let’s dance. I think I remember how your Pop and Justin danced at Babylon. Let’s go show these trolls how it’s done,” Ray said as he cocked his head toward the dance area.

The lights had been dimmed, a revolving glitter ball was throwing sparkles throughout the room and the music was loud and thumping. All the room needed was glitter streaming down from the rafters and it would be Babylon.

The boys made their way to the center of the dance floor. Gus draped his long arms possessively over Ray’s shoulders. Ray shook his head chuckling. Gus was so much more like his father than he wanted to admit. The Kinney men were fiercely protective and possessive of what was theirs. And Ray ate it up; he was just where he wanted to be, in the arms of the man he loved.

The boys swayed to their own music as the other couples bopped and jumped around them. Gus looked down his nose to gaze into Ray’s eyes. Under the dimmed lights, Ray’s dark eyes were almost black; Gus’ eyes were a deep hunter green. The boys only had eyes for each other. Ray snaked his arms around Gus’ neck to draw him down for a searing kiss. As their passion blazed under the glitter ball, Wayne decided he had seen enough. He had no hope of roping in Raymond; it was time to cut his losses. There were plenty of other handsome young men in New York just waiting for what Wayne could offer. He needn’t waste his time on someone who couldn’t recognize it. Wayne said goodbye to his friends before leaving the GLC. Gus and Ray never noticed.



*****



“Delicious!” Riley declared as he rubbed his full belly. He and Danny were sitting at Danny’s dining room table enjoying a dessert wine. “It isn’t often that I get to enjoy such a wonderful home cooked meal, a lush wine and very pleasant company,” Riley said as he held up his glass in a toast to his host.

“I do have a confession to make.” Riley raised his eyebrows. “The popovers are Emmett’s. No one makes popovers like Emmett.”

“I’ve had his popovers before; they are well worth your indiscretion,” Riley teased and winked at Danny. They sat in companionable silence for a moment, digesting their meal.

“We can take our glasses outside, walk around the garden,” Danny suggested.

“I’d like that,” Riley agreed. The men topped off their wineglasses then went to stroll in Danny’s hidden garden. “It is so peaceful here,” Riley said on the path by the koi pond. “A little piece of heaven in the big bad city.”

“I often find myself in here when I want to shake off the weight of the world. The garden never disappoints.”

“And does the world weigh heavy on your shoulders?”

“No, not really. I’m grateful for my life. And I have the best family now.”

“I agree.”

“Ah, yes, you have met the hordes. It was a lonely existence on the road with no one but ‘yes men’ to do Divina’s bidding. And now like the gates to my garden, I’ve emerged into a new life. One brimming with family and good friends.”

“I hope I’m counted as one of those good friends,” Riley whispered as he moved in closer to Danny. He leaned down to kiss Danny’s lips.

“Oh yes, a very good friend,” Danny murmured as he returned the kiss.

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1325