Bashed by the Best Friend by MissMerlot
Summary:

It is 2015, Brian and Justin have been together for 15 years, some of the years happier than most. But now they are finally at peace and ready to move onto the next stage of their lives...yes the Stud and Sunshine are getting married! However, the spectre of the prom still haunts them. Brian has never stopped searching for whoever attacked his Sunshine, the police never bothered after Brian couldn't identify the attacker. But now they can finally close that horrible chapter, as they now know who tried to kill Justin. 

So can Michael talk his way out of this?

 

Banner credit goes to Midgardsnake


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, David Cameron, Debbie Novotny, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, Ted Schmidt, Tucker, Vic Grassi
Tags: 100k+ Word Count, Anti-Michael, Bashing, BDSM, Bottom Brian, Brain Bleach Recommended, Business Brian, Canon Divergence, Celebratory Fuck, Established Relationship, First Time (Sex), Fluff, Friendship, Hatred, Jealousy, Masturbation , Mental Health Issues, Out of Character, Phone Sex, Possessive, Post-series, Responsible Justin, Rimming, Slow Burn, Spanking, Tearjerker, Toppy Justin, Violence, Vulnerable Brian, Vulnerable Justin
Genres: Alternate Canon, Angst, Angst w/ Happy Ending, Canon Divergence, Crime/Detective, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Porny, Romance, Suspense/Thriller
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Michael/David, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 51243 Read: 68311 Published: Jun 25, 2019 Updated: Mar 15, 2020
Story Notes:

Based on the plot bunny by the one and only PBQ...Deb Tanner

The Tiffany box plot point praise goes to Cathy, without it they would not have caught him. Thank you sweetheart!

Banner courtesy of the lovely Anja!

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing, not a damn thing, no copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.

1. Hells Bells by MissMerlot

2. The First Time Ever He Saw His Face by MissMerlot

3. The Fall and the Snake Hiss by MissMerlot

4. Why - Brian and How - Michael by MissMerlot

5. Doctor Doctor This is the News by MissMerlot

6. He May Be The Bore...But He's An Observant One! by MissMerlot

7. On The Thirteenth, Unluckily for Him, Anniversary Those Pesky Kids Said To Me by MissMerlot

8. How the Virulent Virago Got Vicious... by MissMerlot

9. ...Then She Was Almost Victorious by MissMerlot

10. But Was Thwarted and Now Enmeshed by MissMerlot

11. His Mouth Comes Back to Taunt Him by MissMerlot

12. The Ring of Truth, Yes He Didn't Admit It...But He Never Denied it Either! by MissMerlot

13. The Consequences of Being Cocksure by MissMerlot

14. Desperate Deflection and Deliberate Diversions by MissMerlot

15. For Whom The Bell Tolls by MissMerlot

16. The Truth Begins To Come Out by MissMerlot

17. The Camera Never Lies by MissMerlot

18. The End and the Ben-Twixing by MissMerlot

19. Epilogue...After Everything A Quiet End by MissMerlot

Hells Bells by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 1 - HELLS BELLES


BRITIN - EARLY AFTERNOON


DINING ROOM


BRIAN


I scrutinise the table, making sure that it is absolutely perfect for my esteemed friends and family. I look up as the door opens and Justin comes in. He smiles as he comes towards me. “You all set?”


“Almost.” I reply.


“How you feeling?” He looks steely eyed and determined. “I will understand if you just want to do it and get it over with, but I want…”


“So do I, Sunshine, so do I.” I wrap my arms around him and kiss him deeply. The doorbell being leaned on means one thing. “I do believe the first of our guests have arrived.” 


“Want me to get it?” 


“I’ve got it!” Is shouted out, and seconds later Carl and Ben come in.


“You okay?” Justin asks after kissing Ben on the cheek.


“Yeah. Just relieved that it is finally over.” 


“Have you got them?” Carl asks, and Ben nods before handing over the Tiffany box and a carefully wrapped knife and fork set. “You've only touched the box, not the contents? And these were used this morning, correct?”


“Correct.” He replies, and I swallow down bile. 


“Don’t.” Justin chides me gently. “They are the past, these are the present and our future.” He nods at the Van Cleef jewellery box.


“Miller!” Carl bellows, and he steps in with an evidence bag. “Final pieces. Get them dusted, I want confirmation in half an hour.”


“Yes, Det Horvath.” He takes them and leaves swiftly.


“This is a hell of a mess!” Carl sighs.


“Have you told her?” I ask.


“No. I couldn’t, and not just from a legal standpoint. I just couldn’t. Never in a million years did I think this day would come.”


“Me neither.” I put my arms around his shoulders. “You think it will finish you?”


“I hope not. I am holding on to the fact she said no matter who it is I want you to try and find him.”


The door is thumped on then banged open. “Pops! Papa! Where you at?!” Gus yells.


“Dining room!” I holler back, and wait for our son to bound in. He’s been in Italy for the last month, soaking up the culture with his boyfriend. Oh yes, the ex-Stud of Liberty Avenue’s son is a proud, flag waving, card carrying homo; but, like the rest of the family, has no idea what is happening. “Hey, Daddios!” He pulls us all into a group hug, he has inherited my long arms. “What’s for eats? Is she speaking to him yet? Are Mom and Momma here? Can I sleep here tonight? Oh, by I, I mean we, as she still has a problem with him.”


“A special meal, no, no to both but they will be, and yes.” Justin replies with a grin.


“Ooh, the WASP bitch smile!” He beams. “Please tell me that you finally got to them and they are done?”


“They are done.” Justin gets a hi-five. 


“Oh thank goodness. Their sniping, carping, harping cuntish behaviour was very annoying. And they call themselves parents. They should caveat that with only when it suits them.” He heads to the cart. “What’s to drink, people?”


“As a member of Pittsburgh’s finest, I cannot countenance a sixteen year old drinking alcohol, but as your grandfather, a whisky please!”


“Daddios, you guys want Beams? And I am almost seventeen Gramps.”


“Please. And water yours right down, you have inherited his temper and picked up some of Justin’s traits.” Ben orders with a smile.


“Umkay, Poppa Benjie.” We watch as he pours the drinks then joins us at the table, I smile as his eyes bug out when he spots the Van Cleef box. “What?! No! Do not be fucking with me!”


“We’re not fucking with you, Sonny Boy.” I smile. “He finally said yes.”


“Does that mean you will adopt me proper and formal like?” His voice is thick with emotion, despite him riffing on Carl. 


“Yes, that means that.” Justin replies, and Gus flings himself into his arms, almost knocking him into the sofa sobbing with happiness. For years he has been begging us to get married, but one thing and another just stopped us, but now there is nothing to get in our way.


“Bri! Justin! Is everything okay?! The door is wide open!” Ted bellows.


“Thought it felt chilly in here!” I gripe. “If you can open the fucking thing, you can close it!”


“Sorry.” He hiccups from Justin’s lap.


“Dining room, Teddy, and everything is okay!” 


“Do we shut the door?!” 


“Please!” I call back and wait for him and Blake to come in. When they do, I can’t help the smile. They have turned into one of those couples who dress the same, but unlike one of those couples, it works for them because of their strong personalities, which they have had to toughen up in the face of the family onslaught of disapproval. But despite their history, Emmett is one of their staunchest supporters. “Givenchy this time, we're honoured.”


“You fucking bastard!” Ted explodes, but is smiling. “When did you ask him? Again, I mean?!”


“Last week.”


“Thank Christ you said yes, the fall out from the misery when you said no was horrific!” I shrug at the look of astonishment Justin gives me. “Oh sorry, Bri...I…”


“No need, Teddy. Where’s Ems?”


“Oh crap!” Blake sighs. “He’s most likely on the phone to the police and hiding in the barn! We saw the door open and panicked. Be right back!”


Five minutes later they stride in, Ems heads to the cart. He knocks back the vodka without saying a word. “Rats.” He announces. “You have rats in your barn!”


“Um, sorry, but this is what happens in the country. Now have a question: Will you be my best man?” Justin grins at him.


“Happens in the count...best...best man?!” He gasps then looks at us slowly. “I will be all kinds of pissed if this is a joke?!”


“Not a joke.” I reply, then point to the box.


“Van Cleef.” He breathes. “May I?”


“No, sorry, that honour goes to Debs and Mother Taylor. You under…” 


“Of course, Stud, I understand. And, Baby, of course I will! Oh wait, what about Daph? “


“She best woman, you best man.” Justin smiles. “Your turn.”


“His turn.” Ems frowns.


“She should be here right about now.” Justin chuckles as there is a sharp rap on the door. “Well, go get your best woman.” 


With a smile, I head to the door and sweep Cynthia into a hug. “Hey, best woman, want a drink?” I call over my shoulder then grin as her heels stop clacking on the marble. 


“Best? You fucking absolute fucker!” She shrieks, and I turn around just in time to catch her as she launches herself. She peppers my face and squeezes me hard. “I want to be in Dior!” She sniffles.


“Your wish is my command.” I murmur, and carry her to the dining room.


“Cynders!” Gus starts weeping again as he reaches for her. I plonk her on the sofa and watch them squuddle together and sob tears of joy. “You said yes, right?”


“Of course. We are both wearing Dior, understand me?!” She glares at Justin, he nods, smiles and hands out tissues. 


The door goes again. “I’ll go.” He blows me a kiss and heads out. “Ooof!” He gasps, then there is a few seconds of silence. “So, Smelly, Jay-ray and Daph are here!” He calls out, and I brace for impact. 


“Poppa B!” Jay-ray shrieks and I almost buckle as I catch her. “What’s the buzz?” 


I take in some much needed air. “Flower girl. Yes, you can wear camo.” 


Immediately she looks at Gus. “Reals?” She whispers.


“Reals.” He replies. She joins them on the sofa sniffing.


“She is going to go ape.” Smelly grins as she helps herself to wine. “Can’t wait. So is this it, the round up call, to say you two are finally gonna be legal? Oh, where is…” The door knocking and Lindsey's snotty tones interrupt her. “...may I?”


“Oh, please, Momma do.” Gus chuckles, and Jay-ray rolls her eyes.


Carrying her glass, she heads to the front door. This is one of the advantages of having the dining room where it is. Because of my Sunshine’s appetite, Christian, our butler and chef, and I tend to make sure he can come in from wherever he has been and walk into a snack or sometimes a three course meal if he’s been pissed off enough!


“Melanie.” Lindsay snipes.


“You.” She returns. “Dining room.”


As she comes in she freezes and takes in everyone who is here before her, especially Cynthia. Oh, how she hates her. She is the only woman that I back ahead of Lindsay, despite being the mother of your only child, but now that honour is going to be extended to Smelly!


“Isn’t that last season?” Emmett taunts her. “I do believe it is.”


“My best clothes are saved for the best people.” She bitches back, and then realises what she has said. “I mean…”


“Exactly what you said.” I retort.


“No, Brian, you…” 


“Am tired of your bullshit, we both are.” I look out the window and chuckle as the jalopy that is her car, brings Debs and Michael down the drive. “So the gang’s all here.” 


“Gus, how have you been? Did you enjoy…”


“Am tired of your cuntshit. Don’t talk to me.”


“Or me.” Jayray snaps. “You think that screwing around is a game? He could’ve given you anything and then you could’ve given it to Momma. So glad you are out of our lives. Why is she here anyway?” 


“Go sit in the corner, Baby, nobody cares.” Ted sneers at her.


“This from a crystal meth head who stole Gus’s college fund…”


“All those years ago, apologised, paid it back, and has been a better mother than you ever were!” Gus interrupts her bitchery.


“Asshoe!” Debs bellows as she lets herself in. “And Sunhoe. Where are you two?! Kitchen?!”


“Ma! Don’t call Brian that!” 


Justin and I exchange looks, which is not missed by Teddy, but, as usual, he says nothing.


“I've been calling them that for years, they have no problem! Everyone on LA knows that he rises with his smile in the morning and he sets in his ass at night!”


“Ma!” He shrieks, and everyone flinches.


“Snack room!” Justin calls back.


“As if that bubble butt and the butt seeking missile could be any…” Debs strides in. “...Gus!” She screams and Cynthia just about gets out of the way. “When?!”


“Can’t breathe!” Gus croaks as she almost strangles him. She eases up and runs her hands down his face and body. “Last night, and…”


“Hunk of love with you?” She cuts her eye at an almost volcanic Lindsay. 


“He is, but will be over later.” 


“Good.” She smirks.


“Hey, Brian!” Michael calls out as he comes in, and like Lindsay freezes on seeing everyone. “I thought it was going to be you, me and Ma today.”


“You thought wrong.” I reply just as my phone beeps. “Mother Taylor is running late. Says to carry on. So let’s sit down, shall we?” Michael immediately strides to the head of the table. “No, Michael, down the bottom, Justin is sitting next to me.”


“But I always sit next to you when we eat.” He pouts and starts to pull the chair out.


“Not anymore. Go sit next to your husband. Remember him?” Justin orders, and swats his hand away.


“Ouch, Justin! That hurt, you should cut your nails!” He clutches his hand to his chest.


“If my nails were as sharp as you are making out, then your eyes would be on the end of them!” Justin spits. “Now go sit like the bottom boy you are!”


The room goes quiet. People have heard Justin speak to him like that before, but this is usually followed by censure from me. Not this time. 


“We want to eat, Michael, come and sit down.” Ben’s surprisingly calm tones break the tension. With a frown at me he goes to join him. 


“I am so sorry!” Jennifer declares as she rushes in, closing the door behind her. I relish the continued pinching of Lindsey's expression, for it was Jennifer who found out, then told Justin about her affair. The last was one of many and all with men. “Car got a flat, it is at times like that that I wish I took the mechanics course!” 


“Mom, this end.” Justin calls out. “Pommery?” 


“Oh yes, please!” She sinks into the chair. “Tucker is going to have my ass. He told me to get the tyres checked.” She takes the glass, then spots the box. “If this is a…”


“It isn’t, Mom. I said yes.” 


“Oh my God!” Debs screams. “How didn’t I see that?!” She blubs.


“Well come on, you two get first look.” I order, and she runs towards us. As they gasp and weep, I watch my ‘family’, all but two are smiling, and their bitterness has never tasted so sweet.


“Really hope you have got a prenup. You do, right?” Michael snarks and Lindsay nods.


“Nope. Don’t need one. We have been together for 15 years, if he was gonna screw me over like you hope, then he would’ve done so by now. Besides, if anyone needs a prenup, it is him for me.”


“What on earth for?” Lindsay scoffs.


“Surely a denizen of the art world like yourself would know that art appreciates in value. My Sunshine gifts me his paintings. Now…” I pause as the door opens and Carl leaves the room “...um, I mean, so who wants to go first?”


“First? First at what?” Blake frowns.


“Tell me, I mean us, your first impressions of my Sunshine.” Soon the room is filled with banter and giggles as we reminisce over his persistence and determination to make me fall in love with him. Debs makes me cringe when she tells them about our conversation in the bar when she had me all figured out. “I have never felt so scared in my life.” I admit, and she frowns. “I thought that you would be angry because the person I love more than myself, then and now, wasn’t Michael.”


“Oh honey, I long gave up that pipe dream. The moment you went to New York, I knew. Then you brought him back to the one place you felt safe.” She looks at the door when it opens, as she sees Carl’s expression her face falls. “Oh for fuck sake!” She explodes. “Why, just why?!”


“Debs?” Emmett frowns.


“Why Michael, why did you try and kill Sunshine?!”

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

The First Time Ever He Saw His Face by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 2 - THE FIRST TIME EVER HE SAW HIS FACE


BRIAN


Hunter has taken that moment to enter, having, no doubt, been waiting nearby for the yes from Gus about staying over. He looks around the silent room and bursts out laughing. 


“This is a joke!” He exclaims, then stares at his Grams, as he calls Debs. His face falls as she looks absolutely serious and firm in her conviction, as she often says. 


“When did you get here and how did you get in?” I ask gently. “Hunter?”


“Huh? Uh, was parked up the road and the door was ajar. So that means either Gus or his carrier, as he calls her, was the last one in. And judging by the faint trace of sulphur, it was V3, which is what I call her…” The look he gives her is as cold as it is hateful. “...for the curious, this is short for vacuous vindictive virago, who was the last one in. We all know that she never closes a door behind her, as it makes escaping from wrath and responsibility so much easier.”


“How dare you two speak of me like that?!” Lindsay fumes. “I am his mother,  and…”


“Excuse us, but Michael has just been accused of attempting to murder Justin by his mother!” Blake exclaims. “Your pisstulence about being called a deserved twasticle has to wait!” He takes a few breaths. “Debs, you can't be serious?”


“Very.” She replies. “Drinks anyone?” She asks as she heads to the cart.


“Ma, don’t be so ridiculous! What a thing to say!” Michael exclaims, but she continues to pour the drink then takes her seat next to Jennifer. “How could you even think that of me?!”


“Because of the way Carl has been. Before, he would talk about it and give me progress updates, then it stopped. About six months ago he stopped talking about it. And they began to change towards you, but you, of course, didn’t notice; or maybe you did and thought that they were just being moody as the anniversaries came around again...”


“Grams, come on!” Hunter again interrupts. “There is no way on earth Michael could do that!”


“Thank you, Hunter, an unexpected source of support, but appreciated…”


“He’d have no chance against him! Uncle Justin could easily, and sometimes happily would, kill him!”


“She’s not talking about recently, Hunter.” Carl interrupts, his eyes never leaving Michael’s pale face. “She’s talking about his prom. Michael bashed him on prom night.”


“His prom?” Gus gasps. “Gramps, are you...? For fuck sake, why?!” 


“Because he was, and still is, jealous of the love I have for Justin. They both are, but she just tried to separate us instead...”


“I am not! Why would I be, when I have Ben?! I did not do such a horrific thing!” Michael yells. “You know what? You are obsessed! And your obsession with finding out who attacked him is warping your mind!” He stands up. “I can’t believe you...and you call yourself my best friend! I demand a full apology from both of you for this, I have never been so hurt and humiliated!" 


“Who?” Gus asks. He looks around the room before he locks onto Lindsay. “So you’re the reason he went away?!”


“I am, like Michael, not to blame for anything that happened to Justin!” She rises her face contorted with fury. “Come on, Michael, let’s go! We are not…”


“Leaving. Nobody is leaving until this is sorted out!” Mel bellows. “Hunter, shut the door and everyone sit down!”


“So how did this happen, Papa, Pops? You said you would tell me when I am old enough; looks like the time is now!” Gus bites out, now glaring at Michael.


“This is far too grim for young ears such as Jenny! Like I said, this…”


“My name is Jay-ray, Mr Novotny, and has been for a year! As for grim, I read the article about it…”


JUSTIN


I watch my attempted killer’s face flicker with annoyance at the bastardisation of her name as he calls it. Naturally, with all things to do with change in anything that he considers his, it is my fault! 


“When?! Mel, did you know about this?!” Lindsay exclaims.


“It is a matter of public record.” Mel snarls. “Now back to it, why are you two accusing Michael of this?”


“Wrongly accusing me you mean?!” He declares, then turns to Ben. "You surely don’t believe this, do you? Does anyone believe that I am capable of this?!” The silence is chilling.


“Brian, did you beg Michael to go to the hospital with you despite knowing he was with someone on the night Gus was born?” Emmett whispers. 


“What? No I didn't, I told him to fuck the shit out of him. It was him who said he would come.”


“I thought so.” Emmett nods, gets up and sits nearer to us. “Over the years I always thought there was something odd about that, especially as the story would change depending on who he was talking to.” 


“Emmett!” Michael shouts. “I have been your friend for years, even before he came along, and…”


“His name is Justin!” Emmett thunders. “Or Sunshine. And you tried to take his Sunshine away! You get that look. And the first time I saw it was the night they met.”


“What do you mean the night they met?!” Michael snaps. “You had gone with Ted!”


“No I hadn’t, well not completely. I had started to follow Ted, but I saw Brian freeze. I hadn’t seen that happen ever…”


“Wait, Uncle Emmett.” Gus interrupts. “Can they tell us? Starting with Pops?”


I look across at Brian and smile. “So go ahead, Stud, what were you thinking when you saw me?”


BRIAN


I reach across and pull Sunshine onto my lap, and there it is in his eyes: the fire of jealousy that Michael always gets when Justin and I are, behaving like Ken and Ken Stepford Fags, you know, the thing you hate more in the world. 


“Are you sitting comfortably, Sunshine?”


“Yes Stud, you may begin…”


Start of flashback

LIBERTY AVENUE, FIFTEEN YEARS AGO 


BRIAN


That guy was so mediocre it was embarrassing. I can't believe that I am going home alone and hopped up, well not hopped up yet. As I sling my jacket into the jeep, I wait for Mikey to say his goodbyes. Don't get me wrong, I ‘love’ Ted and Emmett, Emmett more than Ted, but they can just be a bit vanilla and like warm flat champagne by the end of the night, especially a school one!


Out of the corner of my eye, I spot something in steam rising from the streets: a flash of gold and plaid. Plaid! Who the fuck wears plaid on LA?! Focusing, I see him. My heart stops and my cock throbs, for there leaning against a lampost is a nymph! I have to have...save...him from the...oh fuck, he is gorgeous! My legs follow the mind of my cock and I am up close, and hopefully about to be very personal, in seconds.


He is everything, I don’t go for. Young. Blond. So very blond. Blue eyes. Big blue eyes that I can lose myself in…

Flashback interruptus


“Love at first sight it! I knew it!” Gus crows.


“And whilst we have been interrupted, I had best have been the warm flat champagne back then?!” Emmett bridles.


“That you were.” I reply.


“I always knew you loved me, especially when you…”


“Especially then.” I squeeze his hand and wink at Ted, who nods. “So, as I was saying…”


“There is no as you were saying!” Michael shouts. “I did not kill him, nor was Lindsay responsible for their separation! People make their own choices, and he...”


“Oh, shut up!” Ted barks. “Mr Vanilla wants to hear this!” He looks across at Jay-ray. “Um, how much detail are you going into?”


“Uncle Ted, be quiet!” Jay-ray groans before glaring around the table. “Okay, anyone who interrupts from this point onwards will be stabbed with my fork! I am having sex, have walked in on Gus and Hunter when I forget to knock. They give me tips! Say can I stay, please?!”


“Jay-ray, come on, you can't stay for this, just come with me and Grammy Jen, okay?” Carl reasons, with a mutinous look she stomps to the door. “Grams will let us know when that bit is finished, won’t you?”


“Sure, honey.”


I wait for the door to close then sip some wine. “So, as I was saying…”


Restart of flashback

BRIAN’S LOFT - TWO HOURS AFTER GUS’S ARRIVAL


BEDROOM


BRIAN


He is on his stomach, resting on his elbows, and although he is trying to control the trembling, he can’t. I lick down his back and get to that peachy butt. Instinctively, he tenses up.


“Easy, I am going to make you feel so good.” I whisper up at him. Slowly he relaxes and when I  kiss them, he lets out a soft moan and sinks onto his wrists. 


Bracing myself, although I think it will be fine, I part them. And there it is, a pretty pink knot winking at me. I swipe from top to bottom and he squeaks. Five minutes later, I was having a bit of a problem, as he was squirming all over the bed, so I resorted to pinning him under me, I use just enough weight to keep him in one spot, but not enough to cause him to panic


“Aha! Ah!” He groans.


“Now you know what rimming is.” I murmur, I take my time savouring his juices as I slide up his body. “Turn over and put your legs on my shoulders.”


“But I thought…” He looks dazed as he does as he is told.


“You thought wrong.” I mutter, and stroke his legs.


“Wait. In school they taught us about safe sex.”


“And now you are about to get a practical demonstration.” As I start to prepare him, I am dimly aware through my lustful thoughts of my phone ringing, but I ignore it. All I want to do is have him. Not fuck him. Not screw him. But have him. Have this moment with him. “It will heat up.” I smile at his protest of the coldness of the lube.


“Just go slow, okay?” I nod and start to enter him, he stiffens and cries out. “It hurts! Ow! Oh, does it always hurt?!”


“Sometimes, but that’s just part of it. Now just relax. I want you to remember this, I want you to remember no matter where you are, no matter who you are with, I will always be there.”


As I bottom out, we kiss. He tastes of a sweetness I didn't realise was missing from my life. My tongue and cock are in sync, but this time there is no frantic squirming, there is just the welcoming into his body. He is giving himself to me. As the pleasure starts to shoot from my toes, I am driven by two thoughts: one, that my son is called Gus, not Abraham, and two...it seems I have finally met my match!


We had finished the second round in the shower the next morning, I was getting him dressed when Mikey barged in.


“Shouldn’t you be gone?!” He grumbles, and…”

Flashback interruptus


“That’s when I first saw it. Properly saw it.” I look at Michael. “The look Ems mentioned earlier, you had it when we got to yours and you said, what is he doing here? When I said he has nowhere to go, you sulked in the back of the jeep, all the way to the hospital, then I put it down to worried excitement as I had missed the calls. But it was there again when we we were kissing in the back of the jeep, but it wasn't the kissing that annoyed you, it was me trying to blow him and saying I was going to fuck him. I was going to fuck him all night. Wasn’t it? You almost caused an accident getting me to stop, saying you didn't want to hit that doggie.” He rolls his eyes and curls his lip. “Debs, get them back in, please.”


“Carl! You can come back!” She hollers.


“About time!” Jay-ray grumbles as they return. “Gramps almost had to handcuff the pair of us to the sink! Where are we?”


“In the backroom of a clearly overly obsessed mind!” Michael hisses. “You know what, I am going! I didn’t kill him and you, Mel, can't keep me from…”


“That’s twice now.” Mel interrupts. “Twice you said kill.”


I tighten my grip on the glass. Catching the action, Justin turns my face towards him. “Stud?”


“Michael, why did you say kill twice?” I demand, turning to look at him.


We all look at him. “I didn’t mean to say kill, I am just…”


“Lying! As usual!” The appearance of David Cameron stuns everyone except me, Carl and Ben.


“David?! What are you doing here?!” Michael gasps, going paler.


“He has to be to corroborate your story.” My voice is calm, but I am volcanic inside, as this is the part that could break my Sunshine and me. “So back to the word kill…” I look at Justin searching for understanding, how could I tell him that?


“I died?” Justin holds my gaze. “How long?”


“I don't know. When they got you in the ambulance, you flatlined, but by the time we reached the hospital you were back.” I wipe away a tear. “I couldn't tell you because you were back and that was, and is, all I care about. Please forgive me.”


“I can’t forgive you, because you did no wrong. You, as usual, protected me. You saved my life that night by calling my name.”


“For fuck sake! Can you hear him?!” Michael screams. “I did not mean to say kill, I am in shock at being accused of murder, attempted murder!” 


“The garage was deserted apart from me, Justin, and the medics. I remember one of them shouting he’s flat, he's flat! It echoed so loud, but then I heard something else. As I got into the ambulance, I heard, home run. And you always say that when you have achieved something you never thought you would.”


Michael scrubs his face then shakes his head. “So me using a baseball metaphor to describe an achievement makes me an attempted murderer, does it?”


“No.” David replies. “You having a cracked kneecap and crushed ball socket on the night Justin was attacked makes you that. It was cracked when Brian hit you with the same bat, and crushed when you fell out of the cab, rushing to join me!”

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

The Fall and the Snake Hiss by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 3 - THE FALLS AND THE SNAKE HISS


MICHAEL


I reach down and rub my knee. It has suddenly started to throb. My thoughts are whirling. It has been so long now. When?! Why?! How?!


“Twinge of guilt?” Ben growls. “I have long noticed your rubbing whenever you have been caught in a lie.”


“This has gone from ridiculous to defamatory! I would ask for your legal advice, Mel, but you are clearly insane like the rest of them! I did not attempt to kill Bo...Justin on his prom night! I was in my apartment, closing it up before meeting you, David.” My heart rate begins to settle as I reiterate my side of the story. “I fell twice, once in the apartment and then at the airport! I called you to say that I had hurt myself, remember?!”


“Yes, you called and said you hurt yourself, but not from the apartment!” David retorts.


“What are you talking about now?!” 


“I called your ex-neighbour, Ryan, remember him? You were preening so much when you first introduced us, declaring that I was your personal chiropractor. Then so furious that he made an appointment for his sudden back ache, when there are other people he can go to! Incidentally, he had an almost ruptured disc. Anyway, back to this; I was desperate, so called him because you weren’t picking up. I was worried you weren't going to come. I asked him to check you were in. After five minutes, he called me back, saying that you weren't…”


“I was most likely on the floor in…”


“A few minutes later he called me again to say that you were coming out of a cab and limping badly.”


“Now just…”


“Then he heard you yelling for help...” David sits down next to Ben. “...and if you were on the floor in agony like you are trying to claim, he would’ve found you. He had a key.”


A key?!


“And now we have finally tracked him down, he’s more than happy to make a statement...a sworn one.” Carl smirks. “So, care to explain?”


“This...all of this ridiculousness, apart from what I told you about my knee, is as likely as Brian being topped by him!” I jab a finger at Boy Wonder.


“He confesses, thought he would spew bullshit for hours!” He sneers.


“That was sarcasm!” I scoff.


“But it’s true. I do top Brian, at least four times a week, and if he's good, twice on Sunday. So why? Was it planned, or a spur of the moment thing?”


Everyone is now staring at them. I start to smile because the expressions on their faces are ones of disbelief. “Yeah, right, of course you do. When was the first and last time then? Everyone, please note the look on Brian’s face!” I crow.


“Sunshine...no, Brian, does he top you?” Ted asks.


My heartrate is settled and the ache in my knee is ebbing away.


“Yes, yes, he does. And in answer to your thoughts, Novotny.”  Brian smirks. “He has done so for 12 years, and we’ve been raw for the last five.”


“And in answer to your question.” Boy Wonder sports that smile of his. “First 13 years ago, and last this morning.”


“This...this morning?” Ted gasps, then starts counting on his fingers. “Thir...you were in college?!”


“Can we focus on his con…” Ma interrupts. “...college?! Where? Not at mine, surely?” 


“No, just in the loft.” Brian smiles. 


“Back to the would-be killer, I want…” Carl interjects.


“Oh, he can wait! So when? How did that happen?!” Ted exclaims.


“Stop this bullshit immediately!” I scream. “You can't, you can’t have let this, this...thing top you, you are the Stud of Liberty Avenue!”


“I was then, and am now, but just for one bubble butted blonde!”


“No, no, I don’t believe you!” I yell.


“We don’t care.” Boy Wonder sneers. 


“I have just remembered something!” Emmett squeals. “That early night all those years ago, Brian, who did you go home to?”


“Who’d you think?” The shithead giggles...he giggles! 


I glare at him, he stares back, just like he did that night in Woody’s...


Start of flashback

WOODY’S - FOURTEEN YEARS EARLIER


MICHAEL


“He is here!” I grumble as I watch his shadow strides in then waves at Brian. “First Babylon, then my house, and now here!” 


“Aww leave him alone, he's not bugging you. I think he's kinda sweet…”


“Sweet?! He's as sweet as vinegar!” I snap, and head to the bar.


“What’s cooking, moody looking?” Emmett nudges me. “Where’s the Stud?”


“By the pool tab...oh, for fuck sake!” I seethe as I see him sauntering across. “Why does he keep encouraging him?!” I demand as Brian smiles and stops playing.


“Come on, have a drink.” Emmett orders, and I signal the barman. “He’s gone.” I feel relieved when I see that Brian has resumed playing and Boy Wonder is nowhere to be seen. “Getting one for him too? Oh, and Teddy.” I nod and we rejoin them. 


We play a couple more frames before Brian looks at his watch. “We going to Babylon, boys?”


“Yeah!” I grin, knocking back the remains of my beer. 


OUTSIDE BABYLON


“Jesus, would you look at the queue?!” Ted exclaims as we come to a halt. “I am not waiting in that! See you guys for breakfast?” 


“Yeah, maybe.” Emmett looks at the queue then Ted’s retreating back. “He had his car, right?” Brian nods then heads to the doorman. They talk for a minute or so before he comes scowling back. “Well?”


“About a thirty minute wait, they are at capacity.” He grumbles.


“That's not that long. Come on.” I tug on his sleeve so he starts to follow. But we haven't even got to the end before he stops. “What?” He is scanning the crowd.


“Nah, not tonight,  Mikey, pickings are slim.” And before I can say anything, he turns heel and strides away.


“Did that just happen? Brian is going home early?!” 


“He’ll be back.” I declare. “Let’s queue.”


DINER - NEXT MORNING


I am trying to tune an excitable Emmett out. He is regaling Ma with his tales of scoring last night.


“Oh, there you are, asshole! Where have you been?” Ma calls out as Brian approaches. He rolls his eyes then heads to the bathroom. “What’s up with him?” 


“Dunno. Get him some coffee, please?” She nods. I try to get out so that I can sit next to him, but Emmett refuses to move. 


“Morning, boys.” Brian smirks as he sits down and gives Ma a quick smile.


“Your mood has improved then?” She grumbles before kissing him on his cheek.


“So, what did you get up to last night?” Emmett queries. “You know, after you ditched us at Babylon?”


“Nothing. Just had an early night.” He sips his coffee and has a small smile playing.


“All by your lonesome, or did you have a certain nymph with you?” Emmett teases.


“Emmett, he doesn’t do repeats, especially not with him.” I retort.


“Oh I don’t know, persistence can reap its own reward!” Emmett laughs then tilts his head. “I may be wrong about that, but The Stud definitely scored with someone last night!”


Brian drains his cup, and, with a salute, but having said barely two words to me, strides out.

End of flashback


“You are lying! Brian went because the queue was too long. Besides, you left before we did.”


“I went to the loft, got naked, and waited. He said he would be 30 minutes tops...pardon the pun.”


“You were naked in the hallway, typical whorish behaviour!” I scowl.


“Don’t be even more of an idiot. I gave him my key!” Brian snaps. 


“Your...your key?!” I feel sick.


“So what was it? What was it that was the final thing for you?!” Ben demands.


“There was no final thing! This is...I have had enough…”


...and that was what I was screaming in my head for the next few months after he came along. No matter where we were, he was there. Boy Wonder just kept hanging around. It was so maddening that Brian would not tell him to go! But then I met David, and when Brian hit on him, I knew he was jealous! So I made it my mission to keep David in my life! Besides, I loved what he gave me, how he treated me like I was his sole focus. 


I remember our first break the weekend of his car accident. David was furious with me later for making us come back, especially when Brian said he told me not to, and Brian never lies does he, he sneered. He was even madder when I said that Ma was sick but I was in Woody’s drinking and singing with Brian, he threw that in my face when he told me to go back to Pittsburgh, I had no idea he came there! 


Then we had the senator’s fundraiser, not only did he turn up and make out with the waiter, but Ma embarrassed me! But it was Boy Wonder, Boy Wonder that had to go one better and get the senator involved in his gay crusade! I watched them go into Ma’s back garden and saw the way they held each other. I fume at the irony of those words he said to him after they shared a cigarette: as long as I have you to protect me.


Then his birthday happened. it was supposed to be just the gang. He was not supposed to be there, but at least he and I were in the same boat for once. He didn’t know about him not going to New York either! He even had the nerve to say that he didn't think Brian would like the cake, wouldn’t find it funny; but Lindsay and I soon had him muzzled, pointing out that we knew him best, not some twink who didn’t take the hint. But I was proved wrong again. I overheard him talking to Ma; he said that he absolutely hated it! And we should’ve known better, especially Lindsay and me!


Even though he said I had become a snob because of David, he came to see me before I went to Paris. Me in Paris! Finally, I had one over on both of them, as Brian had never been and he wouldn't take him! So when it was time for our slide show, not only did they spend the entire fucking time making out, but when Ma said couples making out in front of you…not only did he not correct the ‘couples’ thing, but his reply...it's French, we’re Frenching had me wishing the fucker choked on his tongue as he sucked it down his throat!


After Hank came into the picture, I thought us being fathers...in a way...was finally a way for us to bond, to connect again, but no...he wasn’t interested, neither of them were. And David wasn’t paying as much attention to me. Then when he cheated on me I was so furious, more with Brian because he didn't tell me. By staying out of it, he kept us together, which was the last thing I wanted! 


And then it happened...I saw him lean over the balcony in Babylon to stop Brian from leaving, so got closer to hear what they were saying but couldn't. But what I could see was the crushing disappointment on his face as Brian left. A couple of days later, Lindsay told me that he had asked him to go to his prom but Brian turned him down. Again, we were in the same boat. He didn’t come to ours either. At ours, I hoped he would come, but after an hour it was obvious that he wasn't. So I left then snuck back inside without Ma or Uncle Vic hearing, and cried myself to sleep. The next day I stayed in bed, sick, saying I overdid it the night before. She was so proud, saying I was finally stopping my dependence on Brian.


But one night after dinner in the restaurant we were talking in the loft…


Start of flashback

LOFT - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO 


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


“As I said the first time you asked me, it is a beautiful suit. All your stuff is beautiful.” I laugh. “I am going to miss dropping around when I move. Maybe you should get VC in here so we can talk in the evenings?” He doesn't say anything, still looking at his suit. “Brian, the suit, like you, is perfect, now come…”


“That’s what David is for.” He says. “Not me.”


“Huh?”


“Talking in the evenings. David is the person for that.” 


“But you’re my best friend. That’s not going to change, is it? Brian? Brian, will you listen? What's with you?”


“Hmmm. Oh he...nothing, what were you saying?”


“That us being best friends is not going to change is it? No matter where we are, it will always be Brian and Mikey, right?”


“Best friends. Yeah.” Again he drifts off. It's beginning to annoy me because this is one of our last night’s together! “He asked me to his prom.”


“And…”


“I said I wouldn't be caught dead in a roomful of 18 year olds.”


“Especially now you’re thirty!” I tease.


“You know, I sometimes wish I had gone...to ours I mean. How was it?”


I grit my teeth. “It was great, lots of drinking and dancing. I had…” I watch him staring out of the window, a sense of dread washes over me. “...you’re not going to go with him? Are you?”


“What? No of course not!”

End of flashback


“Novotny!” Carl bellows. “We want answers!”


“Should've let you hang a little longer.” I seethe. “But no, I had to get you down, had to remind you of who you fucking are! Well were!”


“Who is he talking to?” Blake whispers to Ted.


“Brian. He’s talking to Brian.” Ben replies. “If he hadn’t stopped him from scarfing, he wouldn't have been alive to go to the prom. Thereby, saving Justin’s life.”

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

Why - Brian and How - Michael by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 4 - WHY - BRIAN AND HOW - MICHAEL


BRIAN


The quiet is unnerving. Everyone is looking shocked and horrified. 


“Brian?” Justin turns my face to him as I was glaring at Novotny. “You didn’t do that, did you?”


“Oh you didn’t tell him, Brian?! I thought you told him everything!” Novotny crows.


“How much do you hate my son that you let that out?!” Jennifer snarls, and everyone, including me, looks at her in surprise. “I will explain how I know. Why then, apart from the obvious?! Answer the question!”


“He’s not good enough for him!” Novotny shouts back. “But me hating him does not make me a would be killer!”


“Mom?” Justin leans across to touch her arm. “How did you know?”


“We both did. You and I…” She squeezes my arm. “...it was the nurses that told me.”


“Told you what?!” Lindsay snaps.


“What's the matter, 3V, not getting enough attention?!” Hunter retorts. “Be quiet, we will come to your part in this sorry tale later!” Lindsay is trembling with rage,  but does shut that trap of hers for once. “Go at your own pace, Grandma Jen, nobody's going anywhere until we get the truth. From both of them!”


“Thanks, Hunter.” She takes both mine and Justin’s hands. “When you were first brought down from ICU, the doctors were amazed at how fast you recovered from surgery. That type of injury…” She stabs a look at Novotny, which he briefly flinches from. “...normally takes months, but with you it was weeks. I was so angry at you then, Brian, for being the cause of his pain, but then the night nurse told me. That was the first time you said it…”


“Said what? About the scarfing?” Justin looks at me when he says that, as if searching for a reason.


“No, that he loved you and just wanted you to come back. Even if he never saw you again, he just wanted you alive.” Debs hands her a tissue, they both dry their tears. “Then every night Brian would come into your room and talk to you. I think you told him every deep and dark secret you had. Nothing about your friendship with him, but about how hard your childhood was and how Debs saved you and your hopes, dreams, fears and guilt. You even confessed that you bought the picture at the GLC. Then one night I was outside the room and you were trying to speak to your best friend, to get some comfort, but unusually he wasn’t picking up and you were so hurt. You understood that he couldn't come to see him because of the injury, but to not speak to you, that cut you to the heart and you were in enough pain. That stuck with me.” 


The room is quiet apart from the odd sniffle, not from Emmett who is locked on Novotny, it is Jay-Ray and Gus that are weeping. Mel is trying to comfort both of them as Lindsay sits stony-faced, the heartless bitter old crone!


“Tell me the rest. I need to hear it from you.” Justin whispers.


“I was exhausted, but I couldn't not go. The doctors were telling me that there was a marked difference in your mood the next day when I had been and talked; as opposed to when I had been and just gotten some...” I scrub my face and he takes my hands. 


“I am going nowhere.” He whispers against my lips. The kiss is soft, gentle, but most importantly, reassuring. “Nowhere. Now continue.”


“I was super busy at Ryder, maintaining my rep and coming to see you. Cyn was the only one, I thought, who knew about my night visits. She would send work there. Never said anything, to this day, just did it…” He blows her a kiss which she returns. “...one night I went back to the loft as I had forgotten something...”


Start of flashback

THE LOFT - FOURTEEN YEARS PRIOR


BRIAN


I sit bolt upright as the door bangs open. “Michael?!” I shout as the door slams shut.


“No!” The voice of Jennifer Taylor has me scrambling off the bed panicked. I don’t care how she got in here, it is the why! She is pacing up and down the lounge in the dark.


“Mrs Taylor, what’s happened?!”


“You! You happened! You're late!” She bellows. “Where have you been? It’s two in the morning?!”


“Two!” I gasp. “It can’t be! I only lay down for one minute when I got in!”


“From where?! Babylon?! A darkened alley?! He is sleeping badly, now get fucking dressed!” I click on the light so she doesn't bump into anything. “I can't believe you! One minute you are telling him everything about you and willing him to live! Then the next, after a frustrating day for him, you...oh my god!” She is staring at me, her hand covering her mouth, her eyes huge. “When was the last time you ate?!” She demands, dashing to the kitchen. “You look ill and are skin and bone!” She yanks open the fridge. “There is nothing here but mould!” 


“Mrs…”


“Go and have a shower, then straight back to bed. You need rest. You didn’t lock the door, anyone could’ve come in! Where are your keys, is there a code?” I sit down on the steps as the relief that he is still with us overwhelms me. “Oh, Brian, I am so sorry. I didn't think.” I lean into her as she wraps an arm around me. “I need the code, will do some shopping...take a couple of days, Justin will be fine…”

End of flashback


“Except you weren’t, as two days turned into a week. I was so run down I got a viral infection. Ryder almost sent me to rehab as he thought I was partying hard, but when it was explained, he…”


“You told him?!” Novotny gasps.


“No, I told him.” Cyn snaps. “I didn’t mention names or the circumstances, but once he knew he backed off and even got a home office set up in the loft. He valued and respected Brian that much And still does. Will he be coming to the wedding?”


“Yeah, but back to this.” I swallow hard. “Sunshine, you deteriorated so badly during that week. You wouldn't eat or do your exercises. They had to send you back up to ICU to tube feed you…”


“The only thing is my badge!” Carl snaps. “I want you to be alive for this!”


“I called him when they took you up.” Jennifer sniffs. “I knew he was sick, but I was desperate. I could not lose you after seeing you come so far.” She heaves a sigh. “I begged the doctors and was prepared to buy a hazmat suit just so he could get to you.”


“I remember the feeding...god that was awful. My throat hurt so bad after. They sedated me because I was fighting against it, I just wanted to die.”


“It was the first night…”


Start of flashback

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO


JUSTIN’S BEDSIDE


BRIAN


“What the fuck are you doing?” I weep, taking his hand. It looks like bone china, such is the ‘skeletal delicacy’ of it. “Listen to me, you twat, you are going to eat with a knife and fork when you wake up in the morning! That beautiful butt of yours is disappearing, and even if I never have it again, I want to see it bounce down the street!” I look up as one of the nurses comes in and looks at me in concern. “Had to come.” She just nods. “Would you stay with him while I get some coffee?”


“No. I will get you the coffee and maybe a bacon sandwich or a roll. Marla, our very caring receptionist, told me you were back but said you weren’t looking well. We are worried. When did you last eat?”


“Um…”


“Then that is too long ago. Bacon and eggs, you need the protein, orange juice and coffee?” I just nod. “He has been calling for you in his sleep. Just so heartbreaking, hope they find whoever did this.”


Before I can respond she leaves, shutting the door behind her. I look at his pale form and pray, but know they won't even try. “So, confession time. I did something so stupid to get the ultimate high, which, if he hadn’t helped me, then you and I would not be here. And if he hadn’t said who I am for fuck sake, and I hadn't been doing what I was before he...well, then I wouldn't have come to your prom. I tried scarfing, and for a few brief minutes it was great, better than great, but then I got the image of you in my head. Our first night together, your persistence, and you wanting me and only me. I mean, I was used to that, but this time there was a determination, pureness and innocence. I have never, ever said those words during sex, and it shook me to my core that I remembered saying them the next day. When he came to the loft, I was already getting myself down because I was determined to go to my first prom with you as my date.” I wipe my eyes. “Now I need you to get better. Please get better.”

End of flashback


“You were already getting down?” Justin sniffs. “You were stopping?”


“Yeah, but in his haste to help he tightened the knot, and because it was silk...”


“Was it the scarf?”


“Yeah. Once I was down and he made his speech, I was up all night thinking about how much of a twat I was. And...and how devastated you would’ve been when you found out. And you would’ve found out, either kindly from Debs or laying the blame at your door from him.” 


“Mom, how did you hear then?” He asks, resting his head against my shoulder.


“Bumped into the nurse and said I would take the food, that’s when I heard you. I could not intrude on that moment, so asked her to do it.”


I look across at a white as a ghost and still as a statue Novotny. His expression is strange. He looks devastated, but I can’t understand why. “So what’s that look for?”


“Because of his egomaniacal thought that it was because of  him…” Ben looks relieved and content. “...I always had it in the back of my mind that what he thought was true.”


“What did he think?” I frown.


“Oh my god!” Daph squeals before snickering. “You? You...did you, oh my, oh my, oh my...you really thought that he was trying to go out in a blaze of glory because you were leaving?!” That question silences the room and his reddening face gives us the answer. “Nobody...no...body...will ever, and I mean, never ever, kill themselves for you. Kill you, oh yeah, you are worth the jail time! But dying for...no-puh!” For a few seconds there is silence, then I hear Ted’s hiccuping snort, followed by the tittering of Blake. “Can you imagine him at the funeral?!” Daph chuckles. “Clutching a red rose, weeping into a tissue. News flash...hates roses, thinks they are too cliched. And before you start in over those plumptious blooms in the vases, they’re Justin’s favourites. He gets him a massive bouquet once a month, no matter where he is, and on his birthday blue ones.” Now all thoughts of laughter are forgotten; again people are staring, but there is understanding and pride. “Cost a fucking fortune to ship them to New York for three years, but he is, and will always be, worth it.”


“Why ship them, surely you could order from…” Emmett begins before smiling softly. “...what was it about them?”


“The smell.” Juatin replies. 


“All roses smell the same!” Novotny snaps.


“No they don’t. He made sure that I remembered the smell of home.” Justin beams. “Cigarettes and his aftershave, he scented them for me.”


MICHAEL


I am reeling. Whilst everyone is billing and cooing over their love, I feel so wretched. I remember that scarfing day as clear as anything. He hadn’t turned up for my leaving party. I was sitting in the bedroom about to call him when David came in at the same time the front door went. When Ma said that this must be the asshole finally having found Gucci plaid, I knew what I had to do. I started a row with David. Admittedly I was a bit pissed off that I wasn’t being allowed to do anything, like if I was moving with Brian, as he would give me a choice in things, but I was relieved that he was finally here. But he wasn’t and with David there I couldn’t call him to find out where he was, so I lashed out.


The day after I was so worried that I went to the loft. I had gone to Ryders, but they said he was off sick. But I know Brian, he is never sick. I prayed that he hadn’t tried again. When I got inside he wasn’t there, but his suit was hanging up with the scarf. I couldn't understand it, then I saw them. First the invite, looks like Boy Wonder made a fancy-schmancy invitation to the prom to try and impress Brian, and then the box it was resting against…


Start of flashback

LOFT - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO


BEDROOM


MICHAEL


“Wed...wedding rings! Prom invite! He can't be serious?!” My mouth goes drier than a desert as the full implications hit me. “He has clearly gone insane! I have to…” I rush to the window when I hear the familiar roar of the jeep engine. Out hops a guy I have never seen before; he leans into the drivers’ window for a few minutes before entering the building. I decide to take that time to speak to Brian, so, pocketing the box and the invite, I lock up and head downstairs. But when I get to the street the jeep is gone. “Where the fucking hell is he now?!” I growl, then try his cell again, but once more it rolls to voicemail.


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON 


I am in turmoil. The invite and Tiffany box are taunting me from my mantle. I haven't heard from Brian all day. He knows I leave tonight! That’s it, I am going to track him down. I look at the address of the hotel for the prom before heading to the stove with the invite. I turn on the gas and watch it burn. 


PROM VENUE - EARLY EVENING


I have been sitting here for hours, watching hoards of giggling teenagers go inside. I am about to leave when I spot that flash of blonde hair and tense up, but I am relieved to see him walking in with Daphne, which means one thing: he has come to his senses! But, just to be sure, I wait another ten minutes. The invite said that all attendees had to be inside by half past eight, nobody would be allowed in afterwards. I sink back against the tree. He didn’t come for him! 


The relief is such that I have to pee so I rush down to the car park under the hotel as I saw toilets there. Fifteen minutes later, I am heading back to my car, but something catches my eye. My heart pounds as I slowly approach the jeep. It looks like his, but the way it is boxed in I can't see the license plate so I decide to wait just a little longer in my car…


...three hours later, the sound of engines wake me up. I wipe my mouth and look around. The plate is now visible and it is his! I can't breathe! I hunker down as people come out laughing and joking. Soon there is quiet, until there isn’t. I hear the laughter...laughter I recognise all too well. I watch them twirl to the jeep. When he says ridiculously romantic, I want to rip off my ears! After all this time, it should be me he is saying that to.


They kiss and talk, but low so I can’t hear. As quietly as I can, I get out and edge closer to them but keep in the shadows. “Meet you back at the loft in an hour, have a question for you.” Brian says to him, and my soul burns.


“What is it? Ask me now.”


“No, it has to be where it started. Now go and get Daph back safely, then bring that beautiful bubbly butt to the loft.”


“Okay. This has been the best night of my life.” He simpers before taking the scarf off of him and draping it over his neck.


“Mine too. I hope this never ends.” Brian replies,  and my heart shrivels to dust.


As the deliverer of my destruction heads back to get his fag hag, I feel something against my foot. I look down and there is a baseball bat. I don't know where it came from or how long it has been there. Iit feels so wet and cold, but it is a sign as far as I am concerned, a sign for me to end this once and for all. I pick it up and track him. Just as I swing, Brian calls his name. The crack of his skull is so satisfying. I am about to swing again when I hear footsteps, so I run, but a hand grabs me then I am in the worst pain imaginable. 


I crumple to the floor, trying not to scream whilst clutching my knee. I can hear Brian screaming no, but I don’t care, I need to get away. Using the bat as a crutch, I limp to my car. Ten minutes later, I have thrown up twice and am trying to stem the flow of blood, the car is a mess. But my mind is clear and my heart happy, I smirk as the ambulance peels out...as he died a beautiful, well to me, death. 

End of flashback

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

Doctor Doctor This is the News by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 5 - DOCTOR DOCTOR THIS IS THE NEWS


DAVID


I watch the man I loved and see the monster that he really is. He has this far away look on his face. “Must have really stabbed you in the guts.” I call out, and he zones in on me.


“What ridiculousness do you have to add to this party?” 


“That he didn’t recognise you. After all of those years of friendship, closeness, whatever the hell you thought you had, he did not recognise you, because he was focused on Justin. In the article he said didn’t see the attacker as it was so dark; that he hit him to stop him from escaping.” I nod at the cop in front of the door. “But that wasn’t what he wanted to say. He wanted to say that the attacker was some no-mark dickhead; who tried to kill my boyfriend.”


“And that was because of you.” Everyone turns to the door as Hank comes in with a smile. “Yes, Novotny relied on two things: his relief at having his best friend finally talking to him again, and his image. And Novotny told Uncle Brian not to say that. I suspect you were ‘holding his hand all the way’ when he was being interviewed to make sure he never said anything to the contrary.”


“Stud?” Justin turns his face to him. “What are they talking about.”


“Oh my fucking god!” Brian gasps staring at Hank who grins back. “You're right?! How did you…”


“First, we didn’t think it would ever be him!” Hank explains. “But then I met Gus at school and got to know him. It was about the 12th anniversary I think when we first met…” Hank sits next to me nodding. “...yeah. Gus was bummed as his Papa had said no again. We were at the GLC; think I had been in school a year or so. I was by myself, so Jay-Ray dragged me into the group she was with. In fact, it is because of me that there is a Hunter and Gus.I got them together! Oh sorry, back on topic, can I take it away, G?”


“Please.” Gus replies and rests against Hunter, whose kiss to his forehead is scowled over by his supposed Mother and Uncle. 


“...so yeah the person Uncle Brian said that to was Novotny.” Hank continues. “And I overheard it. I never thought anything of it until I got to know my best buddies.” I look up again as the door opens and Hank beams. “I got to know them, we talked about what happened, and things didn’t add up.” Hank glares at what could’ve been his stepfather as his actual one sits next to him. “You would say one thing to one person, then something different to another. So one night we got together and compared notes. I told Gus what I overheard, and…”


“You have always hated me!” Novotny snaps. “Because I took what you thought was your rightful attention from your father!”


“He didn’t hate you then!” I snarl. “Okay, truth be told, the only time he liked you in Pittsburgh was when you bought him the comic. He liked you more in Portland because you were away from what we considered a bad influence. But you became even worse after your recuperation, especially when he wouldn't visit because he was helping Justin, whose need was greater. And besides you have David now. Weren't those your exact words, Brian?”


“I did say that to him. How do you know that?”


“He bitched it out one day. It was a couple of months before we split up and I sent him home, but I remember the day I found out the truth…”


Start of flashback

DAVID CAMERON’S OFFICE - FOURTEEN YEARS PRIOR


DAVID


I rub my temple and sigh. Okay, I get it, he meant well and I have been really busy, but he still should’ve told me he had turned my alarm off! I have had to reschedule my already busy week, which impacted our trip to Pittsburgh at the weekend, in that we now can’t go as the appointments that I missed from today had to be rescheduled for then. Now he is sulking, completely missing the point that if he had told me then I could’ve had a plan in place. I flick open the paper and spot another article. “I really hope they find the guy. Justin did not deserve it. Neither, if truth be told, did Brian.” 


I still feel guilty over the joy I felt when he told me he deleted Brian’s info because he wanted to concentrate on me. Although I was surprised when he said Brian understood. My cell rings again, sighing I reach for it, then frown as Captain Astro flashes on screen. This is Michael's phone, I am tempted to let it roll to voicemail but curiosity gets the better of me...it must be harmless since we don’t have codes on our phones right.


“Mikey, what the fuck?!” I clap my hand over my mouth as the tear filled voice of Brian blasts into my ear, so I switch to speaker. “Why haven’t you answered my calls?! I need you, it is so hard! Imagine for one second it was David?! Are you still coming this weekend? Justin is going to be with his Mom. I will see him for a couple of hours in the morning before you land.” He goes quiet for a few seconds as his phone beeps. “Oh for fuck sake, you aren't coming now?! Oh how he must have enjoyed sending that, why did you give him my number?! He never had it before. Of all the times to do this! Surgery aside, you can make one fucking phone call. Michael, I’ve always been there for you. I’ve supported you, even when I didn’t agree with it. I made sure to keep you with David. I made the spectacle at your birthday to make you chose David. So is that payback, is that why you gave him my number?! I couldn’t have been happier for you to be happy with him, to be a family, even though it isn’t my thing. Dammit, you have to know how difficult it is seeing him...” He pauses and weeps for a few seconds. “...I know everyone says I am heartless but I’m not, not when it comes to him. Always be...always be Brian and Mikey, do you remember saying that in the loft? You know that despite what I said to everyone, seeing that happen to him, and I couldn’t get there to stop...”


“Brian, it’s David...”  


“Well congratulations, Doc, you win, though you listening in on a phone call is a bit controlling, don’t you think?!” 


“I am not listening in. I have Michael’s phone because I picked it up by mistake. We have the same ones…” 


“How very couply of you!” 


“Brian, how is Justin?” I ask.


“What do you care?! Tell Mr Cameron-Novotny soon to…”


“Brian, how is Justin?” I raise my voice slightly. “I haven’t heard anything from Michael about him. Has he seen one of the trauma specialists?” He goes quiet. I check to see if he has hung up, but he hasn’t. “Brian?”


“What trauma specialists?”


“I gave Michael a couple of names for you. Wait, let me call you on a landline, can you give me a number? I need to check something. Please?”


“Sure.” He gives me his number.


“Thanks, give me half an hour.” 


Scrubbing my face I go through Michael’s phone. He lied. There are countless messages from Brian and hundreds of texts; none of them returned. I pull up my cell account on my laptop, there is the last text. It is a group one, telling everyone that we aren't coming this weekend because of a schedule mix up, people like Debs and Vic have replied trying to rearrange it. I check the deleted items and there is a number I don’t recognise, but have a hunch whose it is. I call Brian back.


“So what crow do you want to…”


“Have you heard from Debs and Vic about the weekend?” I interrupt.


“No, why would she call me? She knows how this week has been.” I ball my fist and wonder what the hell Michael is up to. “Cameron?”


“Brian listen to me, I need your email address and for you to open your inbox, will you do that?”


“Yeah. But I am not in the mood for your dick pics!” 


“You, have already seen my dick remember? Now email address…” He gives it to me and I compose one to the trauma specialists, copy him in and hit send. “...did you get it? The email? They will reach out to you, I will make sure they do.”


Yeah, yeah, I got it. Uh, he is getting better, but has bad days. This week has been especially bad…” I have never heard him sound so vulnerable. “...he gets frustrated because of his hand,  and…”


“His hand?” I frown.


“Yeah, he can't draw as well as he could before…”


Two hours later, he called me back sounding hopeful. An appointment has been made with  the specialist, and he has ordered a computer that assists with drawing. I shut my office down, feeling both physically and emotionally shattered. Michael said that Brian never called him. He always called him, and when they spoke it was him talking about the sucking and fucking he was doing. He said that Justin understood he had needs. When I get home, Michael doesn't seem to be sulking as much as he was when I called the house earlier telling him about the rescheduling. Hank is in the kitchen doing some food, he looks relieved to see me.


“So how much of the weekend is left for us?” Michael demands as he limps over to a chair from the den, I catch the roll of Hank’s eyes. 


“Saturday evening and all of Sunday. Can I have my phone, please? I picked yours up by mistake when I was rushing out this morning.” He limps back to the den muttering. “You okay?” I ask Hank.


“He’s been in bed all day, either reading comics, watching movies or sleeping. I have been running up and down. I had to miss practice, can one of you finish off the pasta, please? I mean, he’s been so pissy that I am tempted to break his other knee cap!”


“Sure, why not go see your Mom?” I suggest and he looks surprised. “Called her earlier and said to maybe expect you.”


“Can I go to the movies with Brent when I get over there then? We really want to see the new…”


“Fine.” I smile then chuckle as he tears out of the room. 


“Be careful, Hank!” Michael gripes as he makes his way back. “Here. Did you use my phone?” He queries. “I used yours to tell the guys we weren't coming before I realised.”


“How did you realise?” I grab a beer out of the fridge. 


“Oh, Ma replied, calling me by your name. When did you get Emmett and Ted’s numbers?”


“Before we left Pittsburgh. They were your emergency contacts, remember?” He nods and we swap devices. “So, Hank is going to his Mom’s, or more accurately out with Brent. How is your leg, did you manage to do the exercises?”


“Some. Are you going to jump in the shower? Hank can finish off dinner before he...”


“No and no. I need to decompress for a while. The pasta just needs seasoning from what I can see, so you can do that.”


“Me? I have an injury!” He exclaims.


“To your leg, not your arms.” I clip out. “Actually, I will hit the shower. Be about half an hour.”


Once I get to the bathroom, I check my phone again. Hoping for the best, I call  the number that I scribbled down before I left work. 


“Hey, doc?” Brian answers quietly. “Give me a few secs. Justin is asleep. Mrs Taylor, can you get in here?” There is muttering and laughter. “No, do not tell him you heard him snoring!” He whispers, then I wait for him to get to where he needs to be. “Okay, what’s up?”


“Where are you?” I ask.


“His mom’s. Told him about the appointment and the computer. He’s not feeling them, but I will persuade him in my own unique way. I can't speak for long, dinner is almost ready.” I marvel that this is Brian Kinney I am talking to! “How is Michael?” 


“Grumpy.” I sigh. “How the hell did you put up with him sulking?!  And how did you know it was me?”


“Saved the number earlier. And it depends on the kind. Silence, muttering, or a combo?” 


“Combo.” 


“Leave him to pull his head out of his ass. He is wrong, knows it but doesn't want to admit that. He will be back to being your Kenford in a day or so.” I chuckle. “Look, thanks for earlier…”


“Anytime. I mean it. Call me…”

End of flashback


DAVID


“It was because he didn't.” I see everyone’s confusion. “Brian never called me after that because Justin started to get better. He got better than better. He was almost back to his best, and that pissed you off, Novotny!” I take a sip of wine. “Justin wanted, and always will want to make Brian proud. You were so pleased when I said you and Brian should reconnect, but then you moaned every time Brian called with updates, saying how well Justin was doing, whilst you were using your leg as a reason to do nothing. I got sick of it…”


“So you sent him home.” Hank cuts in. “To the one person that he thought would make him the centre of his universe, but he didn’t, did he?” He glares again at Novotny. “How was Pride all those years ago?”


“Pride?” Novotny frowns. 


“Yeah, you in that dress, whilst Justin marched with his mother!” Hank pulls out a crumpled piece of newspaper and slides it across to Debs. She takes it, then shares it with Jennifer.


“Jesus, you made an even uglier woman!” Debs declares. “But I was so blind to your faults. You were just a coward then, but you are an arrogant one now. Thinking that screaming and shouting, like you used to, is going to work. No it won’t. So you, handsome devil, how are you, Brandon?”


“Great. So have you told them what tripped it for you, Hank?” Brandon smiles.


“This is…” Novotny tries again.


“Pops had to retire when he almost lost his leg falling on the ice…” Hank swallows hard, to this day, the crunch of his leg and his screams still echo. “...I asked him about it, he wouldn’t talk about it for years. He is lighter than Novotny and didn’t cause as much damage. And that’s because he, Uncle Brian, didn’t hit you with a bat…”


“I didn’t?” Brian looks around the room.


“No, you hit him with a blunt instrument, something heavy.” Brandon replies. “According to reports, after you hit him, you ran back to Justin.”


“Yes I did.” 


“Jesus…” Debs mutters. 


“So I showed his x-ray to a guy I know, and he agreed. No way was that from a fall alone, it would've been from very high up and you land on that leg alone to…”


“Can we stop talking about his injury for a minute?” Debs interrupts. “Sunshine, you doing okay?” Justin is looking a bit nauseous, then nods. “Where did you find the x-rays?”


“In the attic before they got married, I thought they belonged to Pops, so that’s how we got talking about his injury…”


“And to think you called him that stupid kid!” Debs seethes.


I smile, as to this day, this is a relationship I cherish. Despite us splitting up, she was the first person to come around when we moved back. I remember seeing her on the street and that shriek; then almost booking an appointment for myself after she hugged me. Ironically, Novotny tried to show me as the pining lover when he found out I was back, but that was squashed as I had met someone else…


Start of flashback

WOODY’S - TWELVE YEARS AGO


DAVID


“What the hell are you doing here? Stalking me?!” I look up at the not-missed snarl of Michael. “Brian! Guys, look who’s suddenly back in town!”


“Doctor, doctor, give me the news.” Brian drawls. “You look well. How long you in town for?” 


“Uh, Brian…” Michael looks puzzled.


“Until he gets transferred, I have moved back. I…” 


“Hi, babe, sorry I am late. Want a beer?” I am interrupted by the reason for my return: Brandon. The new signing for the Penguins, who, like me, is very much in the closet for now. He leans across to kiss me hello. “Who are your friends? This is a cool place.” 


“Oooh!” Emmett gets close to him. “Now you are gorgeous...how so?” He gestures between the pair of us. “I am Emmett, and you are?”


“Brandon. Nice to meet you. And wowsers he did you wrong!” He is gawking at Brian. “You are beautiful!”


“This I know.” Brian leans on the table. “But what I don’t know is why you were talking about me, Doc? Where did you find him? Care to share?”


“No. He’s a Pittsburgh native, but played in Portland. He has signed with the Penguins. We’ve been seeing each other for…”


“A year. Quietly.” 


“He was out and proud with me.” Michael scoffs.


“And look what happened there.” Brandon snipes back. “So drinks?” 


“No thanks. Me and my friends are leaving. Aren’t we guys?” Michael declares his face riven with jealousy. Then suddenly he smiles when Brian lights up. “What, or should that be who the hell have you seen?!” He demands.


“Ooh, Sunshine, over here!” Emmett hollers, then rests his chin on his hand whilst looking between Brian and I. “So Stud and Doc, is it true?”


“What?” I look at Brian who, whilst looking as confused as me, is still smiling as Justin gets to our table. “Hi, Justin, you are looking great. Still having the appointments?”


“Hi, David. I am, and thanks, for sending him the information, about them I mean.” He rests against Brian, Michael’s nostrils flare. “If only I could remember more…”


“It will come back when you’re ready. That”s what they said, right?” Brian reminds him before looking at his watch. “Okay, guys, let’s get a drink, then we have to get going…”


“To Babylon!” Michael chirrups. “It has been so long since…wait, you sent him the specialist information, David? Why?” He folds his arms.


“Because they could, and are helping him. Why didn’t you?” I return.


“I was recovering too! I forgot, most likely, with all the shock of it!” He fumes.


“It’s a blow to the head that causes amnesia, not falling over twice.” Justin retorts with a glare. 


“Justin, stop it. Let’s agree that you both suffered major trauma, please?” Brian sighs.


“Yeah, let’s do that.” Justin grumbles, which is followed by an uncomfortable silence.


“Aren’t you going to say sorry, Justin?” Michael demands.


“I am as sorry as you are forgetful. Be right back, need the bathroom.” Justin is gone before anyone could stop him. 


“Seems like Sunshine has more flame these days, that’s for sure. But back to me asking my question, are blondes more fun?” Emmett’s fingers drum against his cheek.


“Depends on the blonde and the fun.” Brian returns, watching for Justin.


“That’s as maybe, but brunettes are remembered better the next day.” Michael carps. “And often never forgetten.”


“And often for the wrong reasons.” Ted mutters before turning to a bemused looking Brandon. “Want some help? I am Ted, the bore of this group…”

End of flashback

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

He May Be The Bore...But He's An Observant One! by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 6 - HE MAY BE THE BORE...BUT HE’S AN OBSERVANT ONE!


MICHAEL


My head is spinning. I need to think! If I can just get my thoughts in order and my ducks in a row, I can get out of this. Aaaah, I have it!


“So how come I saved him from the baying crowds in Woody’s? If I was who you say, then I would've left him to be torn to shreds!”


“You didn’t save him.” Ted scoffs. “I was there that night. Oh, Brian was so pissed!”


“What do you mean pissed, as in drunk? What a non surprise!” I snark.


“No, pissed as in mad.” Jennifer looks so proud, as does Ma. She has never looked at me like that. “Justin took a bus from home to the loft, but Brian wasn't in. He was at work, before you say he was having it away with some nameless trick, and he did it all by himself. Didn’t take his phone or anything, just got up and went.”


“I just wanted to see him.” Boy Wonder smiles. “I was desperate. I couldn't sleep, I just wanted to sleep.”


“I saw him walking down the street and called Brian. He told me to keep an eye on him but not to approach.” Ted continues. “To this day, I don't know why. Care to explain?”


“By helping him, you hinder. Although I was livid, I knew it was part of the healing process for him, getting his independence back. The guys in Woody’s weren't baying, like you hoped, they were shielding. Keeping the out-of-towners away until I could get there.”


“Ah, I see. And the out-of-towners wouldn't have known anything if you hadn’t bitched about him being there, Novotny.” 


“Ted, I won't have...”


“Couldn’t sleep without him, what do you mean?” Mel interrupts.


“Brian was sleeping at our house, on the sofa I might add!” Jennifer laughs. “I wanted to keep an eye on him, to make sure he was eating. A rather brilliant idea of yours, Debs.”


“Why, thank you!” Ma snorts. “I knew if I kept badgering him, he would retreat, so called in another mother to help my boy.”


“Our boy.” Jennifer corrects her with a sickening smile.


“But what about the loft? Your reputation?” I stammer.


“What about them? My only concern was getting Justin better, and if it took me sleeping on the sofa and not having full sex for a few months, then so be it.”


I look across at Lindsay and she looks as surprised as I feel. “I don’t believe it, you seriously didn’t…”


“No, he didn't.” Jennifer snaps. 


“But I found you in Babylon the night I came back!” I exclaim. “You were…”


“Getting a blow job. Actually, if I remember correctly, it was a double header. Had to tell one to cover his teeth.”


“You never told me that!” Boy Wonder chuckles.


“It was a blessed relief for once…”


“What was?” Jennifer frowns.


“Him turning up. I was bored.” Brian laughs briefly. “But then you got bratty and gave me a reason to go.”


“What do you mean?” I search my memory of that night and can't think of anything; but with my mind being rocked by the last revelation, I am not surprised!


“You wanted to dance, but I didn’t, so you pouted and snapped that I always danced with Justin.” The room goes quiet. “I remember feeling gutshot, angry and hurt. I had to leave before I punched you!”


“You did punch him in the end.” Emmett chuckles whilst I fume. “And I suspect it was because he ran his mouth...again!”


“When was…” Gus begins.


“Excuse me, sweetie, but we need to finish up this part, okay?”


“Okay, Uncle...I mean Auntie Ems.” Gus grins.


“So, Teddy, you were saying.”


“Yes, thanks, Ems. So he was in Woody’s, and a few people, once again because of you being an asshole, were rubbernecking him. One approached, followed by his friend, firing questions at him. Someone called out your name, Brian, then that’s when you came to the rescue, Novotny. You were leaving him there to slowly freak out, figured you must have heard them call the man you love and loathe in equal measure!”


“Would you like a bucket?” Mel asks looking at Lindsay. “You are looking a bit peaky. No, actually I think the best way to describe you is sickened. And I have seen that expression before, the first time was at Gus’s first birthday party.”


“Why would I be sickened then or now?!” Lindsay bites back.


“Because he left. He took Justin home.” Mel smirks and I blink rapidly. “You were so busy having a pity party swing that you didn’t notice until you wanted to feed from his breast like a colicky child.”


“Oh ugh Mel!” Ems shrieks and snickers abound. “Now tell us why? Why did you take him home? One minute you were there, and the next you weren’t.”


BRIAN


“The bat.” Justin whispers. “Gus was playing with the bat, and I was taken right back for a second. The cuddle calmed me down a bit, but you insisted that we go.”


“Technically, it wasn’t home then…” Jennifer grins. “...you went to the loft.” 


“It was closer.” I point out, then catch Justin’s eye and wink.


“What? What happened?” Jay-ray demands.


“Nothing. Nothing at all.” I reply quickly.


“Yes. Yes, it did. Waaaaiiiiitttt!” Ems drawls. “Oh my god, was it then?!” Justin and I exchange looks. “Sorry, Jay-ray, but I need to hear this. I need to know when the Stud and his Prince reconnected!” 


“And we don’t!” Jennifer giggles. “Come on, let’s go and check on the things we need to check on.” 


“Speak quickly!” Jay-ray huffs as she follows Jennifer and Carl out.


“What about Gus and Hunter? This is not suitable for their ears either!” Lindsay declares.


“Oh, bugger off! If you don’t want to hear, then you leave! You have long lost the privilege of parenthood!” Ems snaps. “So what happened?” He pulls out his phone, presses a few buttons, and slides it up the table. I frown. “Recording it, so enunciate!”


“Hank, Gus and Hunter…” Jennifer suddenly calls out. “...we need your help too, please!”


“Dangit!” Hunter grumbles, and reluctantly they head to the door before Hunter turns back to the table. “Auntie Ems…”


“No!” Lindsay snaps.


“As Ems just said, bugger off! Think I am mad now, wait till I get you in court! It’s a good job you didn’t charge anything when you were hustling yourself around!” Mel snarls. “Now continue, Brian.”


“Nicely put!” I snicker at Lindsay’s shell-shocked expression. “So, my Prince, can I tell them?”


“Yes. Yes you can.”


“When we got back to the loft, I insisted that he took a nap…


Start of flashback

THE LOFT - SEVEN MONTHS AFTER THE BASHING


BRIAN


I look across as I tidy up the kitchen, he’s still sleeping. Putting away the water and switching the lights off, I turn at the rustling as he slowly sits up. Soon the only light in the loft is the blue one above the bed, I feel his eyes on me as I come towards him.


“You feeling better?”


“Uh hmm.” He shifts slightly so I can sit next to him. “Thanks.”


“What for?”


“Letting me go to sleep…”


“You really freaked me out.” I interrupt, as I stroke his knee, the therapist said to say how we are feeling, when we are feeling it.


“You?” He looks stunned.


“Yeah, you had that look you would sometimes get in your sleep; like you were replaying…”


“I remember you calling my name, warning me.” He says it so softly I have to lean closer to hear. “You truly saved my life. You never told me that.”


“I guess I forgot.”


“I’m glad I remembered.” He smiles gently and shuffles closer.


I hold my breath. His kiss is brief, featherlight, but oh so sweet! We haven’t touched each other in months, but I know he has touched himself. At first, when I realised what he was doing, I was devastated that he hadn’t come to me, but then I began to understand it. He needed to feel sure within himself. I return the kiss, just as brief, just as light. He gazes into my eyes before leaning closer.


“I want you inside me.” 


My mouth goes dry, my heart is almost out of my chest. I struggle to keep my tone calm when all I want to do is whoop and pounce. “Are you sure?”


“Yeah, but go slow okay?”


“Like the first time?” He answers me with a longer and deeper kiss. “Okay.”


“Kiss me like you did then.” He moans. I almost weep with relief, then feel more joyous as our tongues dance their familiar dance. I slide my hand up his naked thigh and touch the hem of his top, just as he pops the button my shirt, I wait for him to slide it off my shoulders and onto the floor. My gasp pierces the room when my nipple puckers as his trembling fingers brush against it. “Jeans off.” He tugs on my waistband. “Brian?” He frowns when I don’t go to remove them.


“Give me a second or two.” I breathe, and although it is at half strength, the sunshine smile is rising, as well as a couple of other things. Feeling more in control, I take off my jeans then tug his top gently over his head. We go back to kissing until our lips are swollen and tender. “Ready?” I whisper. He gives me his answer by taking off his pants and lying on his stomach. 


I peel off mine, then grab the condom and lube. My hands are shaking so much as I slowly open him up. At first, he is a bit tense, but then I hear it; the first mewl of pleasure as he pushes back against my slickening fingers. I kiss his shoulder, then his ear. “Turn on your side, Justin.” He goes still, I fear he will want to remain the way he is, then he giggles. “Ah, yeah, does help.” I chortle as my fingers slowly slide out, the gasp he lets out is such a beautiful sound. 


I am rock hard as I slide the condom on, I put one arm under his head and slowly slide into heaven. His breathing goes choppy for a few seconds, and goosebumps bloom all over his body. Then he turns his head up. “Oh, God, yes, feels so good to have you home.” I gently pull him tighter to me, then start to move. “Uh! Oh! Mmmm!” He cries out with each thrust, all I am thinking is don’t cum yet, don’t cum yet. “Touch me, please touch me.” He pants.


He is dripping as I stroke in tandem with my thrusts. He tilts his head back again, I go to kiss him then nod in understanding. There is nothing but silence as we gaze at each other. I am so close, but want him to cum first. His smile widens and his eyes glitter. “Cum now, please cum now!”


“Oh Christ!” I growl and flick his slit.


“Bri...an!” He wails, seconds later we cum together.

End of flashback


BRIAN


Nobody is saying anything, they are just looking at the pair of us. Finally, Blake clears his throat. “Ems, could you send a copy of that to me, please?”


“Yeah.” Ems sighs as he fans himself. “Whoo baby! No wonder you came back bad as new after that!” 


“You are such a fucking two-face, Emmett!” Novotny snaps. “I believe it was you who said, when your twink toy breaks, get another one!” 


“Uh, no. Ems never said that, that was you.” Ted retorts. “I remember it distinctly. It was in the diner, we met for a late brunch, and having heard that now, I know why you guys overslept! Seriously, how did you…”


“Teddy, focus!” Ems chides him with a smile.


“Yes, sorry. It was me and Ems trying to recover. Brian and Justin had just gone. Debs, lucky for you, wasn’t working, because you would have gotten mullered, as would anyone who said that about Sunshine in her presence!” 


“You alright?” I ask Justin, who has an odd expression on his face.


“Yeah, when did you change the locks?”


“To the loft?” I think for a bit. “About a month before Gus’s party, why?” 


He smiles. “Because I think I know another reason he would say shit about me.”


“I have never spoken shit about you!” Novotny spits. 


“Do you think we are descendents of Helen Keller?!” Ted blasts. “When haven’t you spoken shit about Justin?! At first, the little digs and asides, with that tinkling laugh and ingratiating smile I took as jokes, but over the years, I saw them for what they were: barbs and spears. My god, you do it all the time! It is so ugly, the grotesque look you get on your face when you’re plotting, scheming or running through your Machiavellian spank bank. It has gotten worse over the years.” 


“I do not!”


“Yes you do. You do it so much, it must be a muscle memory, because you are doing it now!” Ted finishes his drink and waves the glass at Debs. With a smile, she fixes him a TTQS...Teddy three quarter spritz...and kisses the top of his head. “So what happened that morning? You came in like someone had pissed and shit in your cereal, and...why did you ask about the locks, Justin?”


“Because I’m the reason. I remember seeing when Michael came back from Portland, that he still had the loft key on that asshat fob of his. The morning after that delicious night, I was up early, trying to sketch without the computer, but my hand cramped. So I took a break and went to the corner shop, but almost locked myself out, because when we got in from the party, Brian gave me a new set of keys to the loft. I also remember the look on your face at the party because he stayed by my side the whole time. All the time during pity party swing you were locked on Brian. Almost willing him to look at you, you were so crapulent, so why-are-you-still-here and that pissed me off so much!”


All eyes turn to Novotny.


“Oh, for...I did not do anything of the sort! I left the party, hit Woody’s then Babylon, got home and crashed out. I came straight to the diner to meet you guys!”


“We have only your word for that, and we know how shit that is!” Ben snaps.


MICHAEL


I really want to grind this glass into his supercilious looking head, right along his scar, but I must be calm, because by only being calm, as I have been over the years, can I get away with the almost perfect attempted murder. How I hate the fact that Ted is right about the diner, and Mel about the party. I had been seeking sympathy from Ma after David sent me packing. He didn't even take me to the airport; when he told me to leave and I asked him to help me pack my things, he laughed and said no, although Hank volunteered if it would speed things up! I remember David sneering that finally I got to do in Portland what I said he wouldn't allow me to do in Pittsburgh…


Start of flashback

OUTSIDE THE LOFT - NEXT MORNING


MICHAEL


Enough of this bullshit! He has monopolised his time too long! If he wants mollycoddling, he goes to his mother! His not mine! I speed up when I see someone is coming out. “Hold the door!” I shout, but she lets it shut. “What did you do that for?! I said to hold it!” 


“I don’t know you!” She sneers. “You could be a murderer, get buzzed in since you obviously don’t have a key!”


“I do have a key!” I shake my fob at her.


She stares for a few seconds. “You’re an Astro-nut?!” She gasps, I grin, surprised to find a fellow fan in the building. “How pathetic!” She snaps before striding off down the street.


If I wasn’t so keen to have time with Brian, I would slap her. With one final look at her ugly ass wobbling down the street, I let myself into the building, I call the elevator and wait. When it comes down from the top floor, I smirk at the hot guy that comes out, smiling wider at the reek of him. Seems wherever Boy Wonder went, Brian, for once, did not follow! Whistling, I look forward to hearing of his tales about his latest trick, but when I try my keys, nothing happens! I check again, and realise I am using the street door ones. “Idiot!” I mutter to myself. 


But it is the same with the loft door. “Focus!” I berate myself, but not one key on my Brian fob works. “What the fuck is going on?!” I peer at the lock. My gut clenches as the brand new lock glints in the sunlight. 


“You okay there, buddy?” A voice asks. I whirl around, surprised to find a ‘bellhop’ behind me. “You okay?”


“Uh, yeah. My best friend has changed the locks, I bought the wrong set...” I shake them at him. “...old ones. Am majorly hungover, just wanted to make sure he was okay. He was worse than me!” 


“Oh, that explains how green you look. Why not get something to eat and then come back? I really do not want to be cleaning up the puke that you look like you want to lay down!”


“Yeah.” I force out a laugh. “Definitely need coffee!”


“Well, goodbye.” He replies, and holds the lift open for me. I step inside.


DINER - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


I head to the back booth where Ted and Emmett are chatting and sink into the seat.


“Oh, you look rough! Where the hell, or maybe, who the hell did you end up with?!” Emmett’s laugh grates on my nerves.


“Thanks!” I snap, ignoring his angry look. “Kiki, I need coffee!” 


“Be there shortly, hun!” She calls back. At least I have someone that has feelings for me. 


“So when is Brian getting here? Have been trying him for the last twenty minutes. Suppose he must be getting his broken toy replaced. Oh, I need this so bad!” I snatch the mug off Kiki and take down a couple of gulps.


“What are you frothing about? What toy?” Emmett snipes.


“His twink toy broke, so he’s gotta replace it!”


“You had better not be referring to Justin as a ‘twink toy’?!” Emmett fumes.


“No, of course not! I meant his aneros, he mentioned at the party yesterday that he had broken it! How could you think that, Emmett?!”


“Oh. Okay then, sorry, am still coming down from last night.” He sighs then gets up. “It’s no good, I need my bed. Teddy, I will see you later. Bye, Michael.” With a kiss to Ted’s cheek and a squeeze to my arm he is gone.


“At the party.” Ted frowns. “When did you and Brian speak? I don’t remember that.”


“How much did you have to drink?!” I laugh. “We were talking all the time like we always do!”


He rubs his temple with a sigh, then stands. “Hmmm, I think I will follow the lead of Ems, Brian, and Justin and…”


“Brian and Justin? They were here?” 


“Yeah, we met for brunch. Brian wondered where you were, then Justin fessed up that he didn't invite you.” He pulls on his jacket. “Left about ten minutes before you arrived to get some food. I bet that Brian is going to be punishing him hard and deep for that aberration.” He swallows hard. “Yeah, the pink plate special was a bad idea, need to lie down! Bye, Michael.” 


I don’t know how long I zoned out for, but when I refocused it takes a few minutes to calm down, so white hot was my fury. In fact, it was the same intensity as prom night. And, like then, my mission is to get Brian’s eyes on me and me alone...leaning back in the booth, I begin to plan. I am surprised when Lindsay sits opposite me. She does not look happy. 


“You alright, Lindz?”


“No, I am not fucking alright!” She signals for a coffee. “Do you know where Brian is?”


“With Justin, according to Ted.” I grouse.


“Of course he is! Don’t get me wrong, I understand his ‘need’ to help him, but Gus needs his dad too. And for him to just walk out of the party because Justin wanted to go home is too much. He really needs to find someone his own age to be around. He has his uses, I mean had, since he loved to babysit Gus, but I don‘t think he is capable of that now that he is disabled. Oh, I am so angry!”


“You are so right, Lindz, he has other responsibilities, and it is time that we reminded him of them.”

End of flashback


“And what…” I begin just as the door opens, this time it is Carl.


“Debs, honey, we need to talk.” He calls out.


Everyone watches in silence as she leaves the room and closes the door.

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. thanks.

On The Thirteenth, Unluckily for Him, Anniversary Those Pesky Kids Said To Me by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 7 - ON THE THIRTEENTH, UNLUCKY FOR HIM, ANNIVERSARY THOSE PESKY KIDS SAID TO ME


KITCHEN


CARL


“Are we going to be okay?” I ask quietly as Debs sits down. She gets up and gives me a slow, deep, passionate kiss. 


“We're gonna run out of rooms!” Jay-ray grumbles. “Grandma, put him down!”


“The rest happens when we get home!” She laughs lustily. “So how did we end up here? Do you know, Jen?”


“No. When we first came out, Carl said that I must not act surprised to see Hank, besides…” She grins. “...I knew you wanted to hear about their first time.” Debs grins back. “So how was it?”


“Perfect, just perfect.” Gus sighs. “You should’ve seen Pop’s face when he said he wanted to have him; not screw him or fuck him, have him. And he says he’s not a romantic!”


“Doesn’t anybody find it weird that I don't find him saying that weird?!” Hunter snickers. “But back to their part in this; like Hank said, they got together to compare notes, but it was only after Gus mentioned the anniversary breakdown that…”


“What anniversary breakdown?” Debs demands, and I brace myself. It was this retelling that had me light a fire.


"Pop would go to the precinct to see if there was any progress, and, as usual, there wasn’t. He said that when they took out the file from the last visit, there was a tab. It was the colour of it that got his attention, bright purple. It hadn’t moved from where it was, there was also a layer of dust on the file. They hadn’t even looked at it since the last time.” Gus closes his eyes briefly. When he opens them, he is looking tearful. “He...he got back into the jeep, and then...then he started to cry, saying that he is just waiting, waiting for Papa to realise it is his fault and leave him. He said he would rather die than lose him. I held him so tight and he cried so hard…”


“Oh, my poor, beautiful boys!” Debs snivels, whilst Jen quietly weeps.


“It was then that I saw it: the ugliness from the pair of them when Pops dropped me off, and…”


“What pair?” Jen looks over her shoulder from the fridge where she is getting some wine out. “I think this merits a full round.” She declares and sets out the glasses. “Continue, Gus.”


“Novotny and the Carrier were in the lounge when we got back. Momma was in the kitchen. She came out when we got in, took one look at Pops, and asked if he was alright. Pops, as usual, said he was fine, but Momma just kept looking before she told him to sit his ass down and have a brandy! He was so stunned, he just did it. She stood over him until he finished it…”


Start of flashback

MEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - TWO YEARS PRIOR


LOUNGE


GUS


“Uh, Momma…”


“You are now no longer in a fit state to drive. Gus, give me his keys or I will call the cops on him.” I know that they don't get along, but this is a bit much! “Do it now!” I don’t get to do it as Pops hands them over with something like a smile.


“Thank you. Now, when you are ready to go, I will…”


“Mel, what on earth are you doing?!” Mom exclaims. “Brian has had more than that and been fine! Besides, he has…”


“Has plans with me tonight, and…” Uncle Michael joins the fray.


“No I don’t. I am having dinner with Justin...”


“What? You said, you promised that we would be going out tonight before my trip, and…”


“Which is five days from now...” Momma interrupts. “...and, as you said before they came in, you aren't doing anything apart from pre-cramming on Marvel, which you have seen a thousand times before; again, your words, so you can pick another night to go out.”


“I don't want to pick another night! I want to go out tonight. You promised, Brian. I think Justin would under…”


“No, Michael, I never promised this night. I said we would go out one night.” I look between Momma and Pops, something has just happened, then I realise what it is. “Sonny Boy, can I crash in your room for a bit?”


“Sure.” I wait for the click of the door being shut, then turn to her. “Thanks, Momma, it was really tough today. Shall I let him sleep for an hour, then call Papa?”


“Yes, Sonny Boy, please do that.” She smiles at me before glaring at the pair of them.” Are you sure that you are his best friends?”


“We are! What was that about?!” Momma demands.


“It's the anniversary of the attack on Justin, and…”


“Oh that.” Uncle Michael looks across at Momma, who sighs whilst he rolls his eyes.


“Oh that? Oh that?! And what’s this crap about it has to be tonight?! How could you be so callous?!”


“I am not being callous, I just think he is flogging a dead horse! You don’t see me doing a ‘cheers’ for almost breaking my leg tripping up the stairs, and…”


“And I suspect that it is Justin who is encouraging this annual trip down memory lane...or non-memory as it is!”


“Mom!” “Lindsay!” 


“What? It is getting ridiculous now, as Michael says, it is a fruitless exercise which only brings them pain and makes it uncomfortable for everyone else!”


“Well, excuse me for causing you discomfort…” Pops drawls from the stairs. “...Mel, can you take me home, please? I don't want Justin to be around them.” 


“Of course. Sonny Boy, can you…”


“I am coming with you. I don’t want to be around them either! Can you drop me off at Grandma’s?”


“Which one?” Momma laughs.


“Debs. Grandma Jen is with Uncle Tuck in New York, sorting out Papa’s paintings for the next show.”


“Why is she doing that exactly? I am the best placed person from an artist's point of…”


“You are not the best anything to him.” Momma cuts her off. “You ready, asshole?”


Pops snickers then gestures us ahead. “Oh, by the way, I shall keep flogging that dead horse, will keep helping him to remember until we catch the no-mark dickhead fucker who tried to kill him!” 


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


JENNY’S BEDROOM


GUS


“They really said that?!” Jenny explodes. “Ooh, wait till I get my hands on him! He is such a...what’s that face for?” Jenny frowns at Hank. 


“Are you sure that’s what he said? That he tripped up the stairs?”


“Yeah, positive, why?”


“Because that’s not what he told my Dad. He said that he fell in his apartment, then out of the cab landing on the same knee. And...wait a second, I remember something! Hold on, let me think...”


“Hey, guys!” Grandpa Carl smiles as he brings in cookies and milk. “Your Grandma had to go to the diner, and I have to go to the precinct to...Hank, are you alright?”


“Thinking.” He mutters, then his face lights up. “Yes, got it! Dad had a dinner that me and my friends were his busboys for that night. He was in the kitchen, limping around, so a guy asked him what had happened. He said that he was moving out of the way of a reversing car, and in doing so, badly tore ligaments in his leg.”


“Who did?” Grandpa Carl sits down.


“Michael.” 


“Why would he say that? It makes no sense!” Jenny scratches her head.


“Grandpa, can you do something at the precinct?” I plead. “At least get them to dust the file off for fuck sake!”


“File? Take it from the top.” Grandpa Carl sighs. Half an hour later, I don't think I have ever seen him so confused and annoyed. “Right, I will be back in about an hour.”


NINETY MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


We stare at it in silence. “I, we all, will understand if you don't want to look at it.” I give Grandpa Carl a small smile and nod. “Okay, let’s get this in some semblance of order! First things first: the crime sheet…” Another twenty minutes pass, and the file is done to his satisfaction. “...so, the EMT states that he heard something, like someone crying. Why wasn’t this followed up? And look, look here, Brian said he saw the bat swing and grabbed it when the guy tried to swing again, but he dropped it...see, he dropped it! They did a search of the area, well at least they did that, but could find nothing except some lead piping under a car…”


“Hey, darlings!” Grandma calls as she comes in. She frowns at the spread out papers. “Those look official, is that our tax return?” She laughs, picking one up, then she reads it. “Is...is this the file on Sunshine?”


“Yes, I have decided that a fresh pair of eyes is called for.” 


“Thank you. I don’t care who it is, find them!” She looks at her watch, then notices me. “Thought you were with your Pops today?”


“He was, but with the best friends being assholes, he couldn't bear to be with them, so room for one more?” Jenny smiles. 


“There is always room in my house, you know that! Now let me freshen up, and we can start dinner. Hank, are you staying?”


“Please! Let me call Brandon and let him know.” 


“Okay. Give me fifteen minutes. And Jenny, in five minutes, bring me up a very large glass of wine!” 


“Yes, Grandma!” We wait for her to close the bedroom door, and turn back to Grandpa. “Quick, what were you going to say before she came in?”


“I think that Brian hit the guy with the piping. Thankfully, they did pick that up, but that leads us to another question.”


“Where's the bat?” I ask.


“Exactly.” Grandpa replies.

End of flashback


CARL


“As you both know I kept plodding along, piecing things together, but it was the lack of bat that was getting to me. I think that Novotny used the bat as a crutch to get back to his car. With the evidence we have, we can, and will arrest him tonight, but the bat would seal it…”


“Wouldn't that be a mess?” Hunter pipes up. “I mean, there would have to be blood and shit like that if he made it back to his car. Supp...supposing he used the bat to get the car to wherever, left the car there, then got that cab back to his place?”


“Where are you going, sweetheart? Although, I have a feeling I know.” Jen smiles at him.


“He went from the apartment to the airport. He didn’t come back for over a year.”


“And when he came back, he badgered Brian into getting him a new car.” Jen taps her glass. “Also he’s a hoarder who likes to keep things as is. What’s the betting, and I can't believe I am saying this, but what’s the betting that he still has the car and it is exactly as he left it was that night?”


“How the hell do we get him to tell us that though?” Hank grumbles.


“We don’t.” Ben’s voice startles us. “Came in for ice. Give me a minute!” When he comes back, he has his phone and a massive grin on his face. He hands it to me, and I look at the screen. “It was in a public place. Besides, I did not take it, I just took a picture of it.”


“A picture of what?” Debs comes to look over my shoulder. “Carl?”


“The business card for a lock up garage.” I whisper. The next sound we hear is the jangle of keys, as Ben puts them on the table.


“He insisted that I have a full set and carry it with me always. I will just leave them here.” 


“Thanks, can you send in Miller?” He nods, and Miller steps in, looking eager. Turns out, he had been itching to get on the case for years, but nobody would do anything on it. When I asked for a volunteer, he leapt at it. “Take these, and call this number I am texting you. Find out where the garage is in his name. Get there and use every key until it opens.” Whilst he takes the keys, he does look concerned. “What?”


“Don’t we need a search warrant or something?”


“No.” Mel closes the door behind her. “Ben sent me to fetch you, now get me up to speed.” When I finish telling her, she chuckles. “It will be argued that by giving him a set of keys, he obviously meant him to use them in the event of an emergency. Ben trying to prove his ‘innocence’ by allowing you to use them counts as one, right?”


“Get going!” I order, and smile as he sprints out of the room.


“So, come on back in.” Mel holds the door open. “It’s time you heard about V3's part in this!”



End Notes:

Please review kinidly and constructively. Thanks.

How the Virulent Virago Got Vicious... by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 8 - HOW THE VIRULENT VIRAGO GOT VICIOUS...


DINING ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


“And what do you think you are doing?” Emmett demands.


“Refreshing my drink, obviously!” I state as I reach the cart.


“Then it should be obvious that you should ask Justin Taylor, soon to be Kinney, if you can help yourself to his things, V3?”


“Don’t call me that!” I fume.


“Okay, Superslut, where are your manners? Did they fall at the wayside like your morals and your knickers? Or did you go commando every day on the off chance some random cock would hear the squelching siren call of your stinkhole?” 


“Emmett!” Brian exclaims. “That was disgusting!”


“Thank…” I begin.


“True, but disgusting!” He snorts. “Squelching siren call…” He dissolves into giggles on the conniving chameleon’s shoulders, who looks so sneeringly at me, I wish I had a bat right now.


“Brian, get yourself together!” Michael orders. “And as for you, Emmett, apologise immediately for that repulsive comment!” The room goes silent. Slowly, Emmett rises and comes over to where I am standing. I put my glass down with a small smile. 


“Lindsay, I am sorry. I am sorry for the day Brian fucked you, I am sorry that they were taken in by you, and I am sorry that I ever met you.” He turns to Michael. “How was that?” I grab my glass. “And you will be beyond sorry and broken if you throw that at me!” He is in my face so fast that I drop it. 


“Now look what you made me do!” I snap, wiping the stain on my dress and trying not to tread on the shards around my feet.


“Gus…” Emmett calls out as he comes in. “...can you go and get her something to clean that up please, sweetie?”. 


“Do not order my son around like a slave, Emmett! Besides, I know my way around…”


“That, just like you, is too easy.” He retorts, as he retakes his seat, causing more laughter. 


“What son is that?” Justin, being by my side, startles me, I am incensed when he wheels the cart to the other side of the room. “Taking it out of temptation. I would advise you to sit down, Novotny! Remember, I have so much to say to you!” 


Michael remains standing for a few seconds, until Justin starts to move. “I won’t let you attack him.” Brian stops him cold. “Sunshine, that’s my bubblebutt, remember?” 


“As if I could forget, but after all these years, you can understand.”


“Mmm. Take it out on me later.” He pats his lap. “In the meantime, place butt here.” 


“There you go.” Gus hands me a dustpan, brush and a dirty rag. “Brush and pan for the glass, rag for your rags...which, like your love for me is fake.”


“Touch my dude, and I throw you out of the fucking window!” Cynthia bellows. Stalking up to me, she pulls a shocked looking Gus away and into Hunter’s arms. “You…” She grips my wrist tightly, digging her nails in. “...will sit next to me whilst your involvement is explained.” I try to pull away, but she is joined by Daphne and they drag me back to the other end of the table, scattering the glass along the way. “Go sit back with Justin, Daph, she won’t dare move!” I am shaking with rage as I inspect my wrist. “Take me to court, I dare you!” She hisses. 


“What happened?” Mel comes up short as she returns.


“She was going to slap Gus.” Brian answers calmly; too calmly. “Cynthia stopped her.”


“Going to…” Mel pinches her nose. “...and in front of witnesses that hate you too. Seriously, how stupid…”


“Do not speak for me, Mel!” Michael spits. “I don’t hate Lindsay, never have! I admire her fortitude in the face of…”


“Being admired by a murderer. Your stock is high, V3.” Mel taunts us. “The rest are coming in a second, they are ordering take out. It is going to be a long night.”


“Gus, are you okay?” Brian calls down.


“Yeah, Pops, am fine. For reals, am fine.”


“Good. Up, Sunshine...” Brian orders, once he steps aside Brian approaches. “...I hate you! With every fibre of my being, I hate you! I hated you when you took Gus to Canada, I hated you more when you got inside my head over New York, but for what you just tried to do, you need to see the whites of my eyes. You even think of hurting him again, I will disembowel you, understand?” 


“Stud, go wash your hands, then come back here. My butt is getting cold!” 


“She needs to answer. Do you understand?” He holds my chin, I daren’t turn my head. “Yes or no, Lindsay?”


“Yes, I understand.” I whisper. “You are rightly furious, I am ashamed of ...”


“Shut the fuck up, V3!” He snarls. “I now know which buttons to push!.” He lets go of my chin, before wiping his fingers on my shoulder. “You can have your stink back.” He sneers then strides out. 


“Gus, can you make sure he’s okay?”


“Sure, Papa!” He replies, and runs after him.


Less than five minutes later, they are both back. I have taken that time to recalibrate myself. I know exactly what to do.


“He was ready, willing, and able to you wasn’t he?” Blake glares. “I think I have it figured out now…”


“Wait!” Jenny...I refuse to call her Jay-ray, shouts. “Guys, Uncle Blake has his head on, come quick!”


“Debs, Mother Taylor, come this end please!” Brian orders, with a nasty look at me from both of them they rejoin him.


“Okay, honey, you can tell them our theory!” Ted beams.


“Fuck your theory!” Michael blasts before turning to Brian. “You hate her?! How could you? She did what was best for Gus and Justin!” 


“Lindsay did, and always will do what’s best for Lindsay.” Justin retorts. “Now shush...Blake, continue.”


“Canada worked out perfectly for you too, Novotny, because that took away the other distraction. Oh don’t don't peacock, V3, the distraction wasn't you, it was Gus. And you were both jealous of that! The ultimate top and playboy fell in love with two people, but they weren't you.” 


“Using your Mickey Mouse degree in psychology again!” I snap as my temper rises. “Why the hell would I be jealous of Gus?!”


“Because Brian would do what was ‘best’ for Gus, which is how you sold it to him, but he wouldn’t do anything for you.”


“What rot!” I exclaim. “He gave up his rights so as to stop me from marrying Gui.”


“And you used Mel’s then hatred of him to ensure that he did.” Blake spouts, people are frowning, while I am squirming on the inside. “With you in jail, because she would’ve made sure of that, Mel would’ve ensured that he would never see him. So, giving up his rights to save you was the only course of action.”


“And, of course, there was and still is, despite her fellow mangy minge’s efforts, the matter of Justin.” Daphne waits for the laughter to die down. “Like you said, Blake, she did what was best for her. Oh, he was good to have around when it benefited her; babysitting and stuff like that, but she was his best friend and she saw it. She saw Brian falling in love. He wanted what you had, well thought you had. You stayed with Mel because you enjoyed them fighting over you, but then along came Justin, and his eyes were not on you anymore. He was interested in another hot blonde. For years, he took the time and patience to put Justin back together again. He was his sole and only focus. I remember the time Justin was in the Country Club after the bashing, do you?”


Do I remember it?! Of course I do, it is like a non-cauterized wound...


Start of flashback

COUNTRY CLUB - TEN YEARS PRIOR


LINDSAY


I adjust Gus in my lap and resume my fiddling with my napkin, wishing this lunch would be over quickly. I just want to go home and bitch to Brian; Mel is having too much fun!


“Isn’t that Justin Taylor?” Mother whispers, and I look across the room. “Such an awful thing to have happened to him.”


“Yes it was.” Mel sighs. “Still, nobody has been found, but…”


“It was years ago, and he’s…”


“How long ago it was is irrelevant.” Daddy’s tone surprises me. “Being almost killed is horrific! Where is your compassion? We brought you up better than…”


“Jussin!” Gus exclaims, and starts to twist in my lap. “Mommy, want to see Jussin!”


“Gus, stay still, he’s with his Mommy now. You wouldn't want anybody to disturb your mommy time, would you?”


“Lindsay, I am sure that…” Mel takes Gus off my lap.


“Daddy!” Gus gasps, and the table goes quiet.


I gape as Brian strides towards us. “Hey, Sonny Boy!” He grins, then grins wider when Mel hands Gus to him. “Oh thanks Mel! Hello, Mr and Mrs Peterson, hey, Lindsay. Have you been good for your Mommies and Grandbeams, Sonny Boy?”


“Grandbeams?” Mel echoes.


“That’s what I calls them because that’s what Jussin calls his olds parents, Grandbeams sounds nice!” Gus looks down at us smiling. “Is that alright?”


“Oh, that’s lovely!” Mother cries in delight. "Grandbeams, I like that!" Mel and I exchange looks. “You didn’t tell us Brian was coming, Lindsay. Won’t you join us?” She signals for another chair.


“It was a surprise to me too, Mother.” I am so happy; having texted him earlier to  beg him to rescue me from cunt-ree club hell, but he said he had other plans. Looks like the plans changed! “So glad you are here, how did you get here anyway?”


“Cab. And...”


“Then you can have a Beam.” I signal the waiter and ignore Mel’s pointed look.


“No I can't, and I am not here in your sense, I am here for Justin. Mother Taylor needs a buffer, and me plus him are the perfect combo. That’s okay, right, Mel? Be about twenty minutes to half an hour.”


Mel?! He is asking Mel this?! I am Gus’s mother!


“That long? We need to…”


“Take as long as you need.” Mel interrupts. “We will send his food over.”


“Thanks, Mel.” Brian kisses her cheek, then puts Gus on the floor. “Well go on, then.” He taps Gus’s butt and he runs to Justin, calling his name. 


When Justin turns around, he looks both surprised and delighted. He gets up to meet Gus part way, then he sees Brian. “You!” 


“Yeah, me! Room for two more?”


“Always.” He simpers, I seethe at both of them as they head back to his table.


LINDSAY AND MEL’S HOUSE - FOUR HOURS LATER


“Lindz, I don't understand why you are upset.” Mel declares as she puts the wine down. “We have a free night, since JR is with Debs, so explain to me how this is a problem?”


“I am upset because I was railroaded into letting Brian have Gus by you and Mother! And at Jennifer Taylor’s house! When did that alliance spring up?!”


“Alliance?! Do you hear yourself? Is this because yet another cry for Brian’s attention was ignored?!”


“Brian’s attention? What are you bringing Brian into this for? For once, he has nothing to do with it!”


“Yes he does! He has everything to do with it, specifically everything to do with blondes; because, let’s face it, my flaxen haired beauty, the only blonde he cares about right now has a cock and not a clit!” She snatches up her glass. “Now I am going to take advantage of this free time and have a nice long soak!”

End of flashback


“I remember the next morning so well.” Gus’ voice sounds strange. “We were playing, Papa and me, in the lounge. I was messing up his hair, and I felt it. I felt his scar…


Start of flashback

JENNIFER’S HOME -  MORNING AFTER COUNTRY CLUB DINNER


GUS


“Jussin…” I frown and run my finger over the bumps on his head. “...why does your head feel bumpy?” I run my fingers over mine. “I don’t have bumps, and I don’t think Daddy is bumpy, so why are you? Do you get them when you’re older?”


“No, Sonny Boy, you don't get that kind of bumpy when you’re older.” Daddy sounds sad, I get off Jussin and clamber into his lap. 


“Why not?”


“Because those are not good bumps. You know when you fell over in the garden and you got a bump on your knee?”


“Yes, Daddy, that hurted a lot.”


“I know, but you were really brave. So when Jussin got his bump on the head, it was like he fell over…”


“But he didn’t fall over, did he?” I look at Jussin. He shakes his head, then takes my hand. “What happened?”


“Someone hurt me when I was younger, but older than you…”


“Did you tell a teacher?” 


“Not a teacher, no, but we did tell someone, and…”


“We? Daddy, were you there when he got hurted?” Daddy nods. “So why didn't you stop the meanie?”


“I thought I did, but Jussin was really hurt, and I needed to be with him.”


“Oh.” I think for a while. “When I am biggerest I am going to help. I am going to help get the meanie that hurted my Jussin!”

End of flashback


GUS


“So how did you get him to leave?” I glower at her. “No, actually not you, Pops, you said she got inside your head. What do you mean?” 


“About five years ago, V3 insisted on hosting an exhibition at Bloom Gallery to showcase up and coming artists’ talents. And, in hindsight, she must have been screwing him too…he had to be getting something from you to lay it on so thick and keep laying it on.”


“Screwing who?” I frown.


“Robert Crasswell.” Papa replies. “He is one of the foremost art critics of the modern era, at least according to her and him, I remember seeing him at many exhibitions, especially the ones I was showing at. He is also so deep in the closet still it is laughable!” He giggles. “And they were screwing. Mel, did she always make that noise?”


“Noise? Oh! Like a cawing crow; that noise?”


“That’s the one! I heard them...Oh, Robert! Oh, Robert! Oh Robert! Oh, yes, please! Oh, yes, bliss, blissful! My king! Oh, God, my king, take your queen!” I look down at V3, and I can see the veins pulsing in her face. “Thank god, I didn’t get to see it too, but did have to studio bleached deep cleaned!”


“Studio?” Pops looks confused, then horrified. “She fucked him in your studio?! What was she hoping for? The miniscule chance that some of your talent would sink in through her…”


“Pops!” I squeal.


“Pores! I was going to say pores, Gus! Jesus, having seen that once was enough?!”


LINDSAY


I feel like I am being flayed alive! Each disparaging word cuts me to the bone, but I must remain calm! It is only by remaining calm that I don’t speak my truth.


“And he was really small!” Justin laughs. “I saw him when he stood up, so you were so desperate to part us, you must have pretended that Peewee Herman was the Incredible Hulk?”


“That Peewee Herman gave you the fucking world! Without him or me you would not have what you have now!” I explode.


“I had my world then and now!” Justin bellows. “It is, was, and always will be called Brian!”


“Sunsh…”


“No, Stud, you need to know the reason, the reason year after fucking year I said no!” There is silence, I have always had my suspicions because of his stubbornness but now he is finally telling me. “I couldn’t lumber you with this broken useless thing! Thank god he knows how to draw, albeit with electronic help. You realise that Brian puts up with the cripple through guilt?” All my blood pools in my feet. When did he hear that?! “And he plays on that! Bet there is nothing wrong with him, he just didn’t want to try.”


“What?” Brian gasps. “Who said that?! When?!”


“They did when I first came back from New York after my hand played up. When I had to go back to using the computer, I was devastated. On top of that, I couldn’t paint, but you never judged me, just kept trying to make me feel better. Then you did the one thing that I never thought you would do, Stud.”


“Me? What did I do?”


“You walked out on me.” He grins at him. “Remember, about six months before my triumphant return, you got so angry with me that you walked out, saying if I wanted to keep being a fucking brat then I could do that alone?” Brian nods. “My head was a mess, my arm was killing me, and I was hurt that of all people to say that it was Lindsay, my supposed friend and champion.”


“Not quite following, how did him walking out did that help your hand?” Hunter asks.


“I had deep vein thrombophlebitis, but hadn’t realised. Which means I had clots that were detaching. When he left, I heard him on the phone to Michael, saying he would meet with them as I was being a bratty twat. I was so hurt and angry that I punched the wall, breaking two of my fingers, luckily on my left hand. I screamed the place down, he came rushing back, but still on the phone to Novotny. He was so furious that Brian was no longer coming that he spent all night blowing up his phone, but for once he was right, I did do it deliberately but not in the way he meant. Anyway, Brian took me to the hospital, which is where they discovered the clots.”


“But I still don’t see why that would stop you from saying yes to Pops.” Gus frowns.


“I wanted to be his equal, both in and out of bed and, now finally, I am. I have conquered the art world, I am the enfant not so terrible.” He giggles as he strokes Brian’s cheek. “And now he’s stepping back from Kinnetic, the bashing nightmare is soon to be over, and with this year being my last show for a while, we finally have time for each other and, um, one other person, who she has agreed to give us...”


“What’s...seriously for real, you mean it?” Gus gasps.


“Yeah, we mean it, Sonny Boy. She has said yes, it was…”


“Who said yes, to what?” I demand.


“Cynders is going to have their baby!” Gus exclaims, the room explodes with screams of delight and everyone is rushing to hug them.


Cynthia is pulled down the other end of the table by a blubbing Ted. “When did you agree to this?!” He sniffs. “So what…”


“No! No she can’t fucking do that!” I scream. “I am the only one to bear your child! The only one!”

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

...Then She Was Almost Victorious by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 9 - ...THEN SHE WAS ALMOST VICTORIOUS...


GUS


I am so glad that Cynders is at this end of the table. I have never seen 3V so angry, she reminds me of Medusa in Clash of the Titans!


“I knew it!” Momma explodes, before turning to Pops. “Did she ever ask you, Brian?”


“Ask me what?” Pops frowns. “Jesus, no wonder you were pissed at me for all of your pregnancy! No, she never asked me.” He shakes his head. “You are, without a doubt, the sorriest excuse for a mother I have ever met, including mine!”


“I am nothing like…”


“No, you are worse!” Papa spits. “At least she was honest in her hatred! You hid yours, but every so often it would show through; like the second time I went to New York. You really thought you had done it didn’t you?!”


“Did what?!” I demand,


“Hold on, Gus, what didn't she ask?” Grandmom Jen asks.


“Oh, you vulgarian!” Daph hisses. “How did you paint his rejection of it being her then?! What did you say to end up with him?! Although, thankfully, it is all Mel’s nurture and none of their nature, especially his, which has won the battle for the Princess Jay-Ray!” 


“Quiet!” Grandma bellows, silencing the room. “Are you seriously trying to say, Daph, that this thing didn’t ask Brian about being the father to Jay-Ray, and led Mel to believe that he had said no because it was Mel?”


“Yes, that’s exactly what I am saying she did, or rather she didn’t!” 


“Explain yourself then?!” Grandmom Jen orders.


LINDSAY


“I don’t, and won’t, explain myself to you!” I hiss at Jennifer, long having grown sick of her constantly pushing of Justin and Brian together. “So if people want to know, then you have to leave. I am sure one of your many family members here gathered will fill you in!” 


“Blake, I believe the technical phrase for this behaviour right now is ‘her cheese has slid off her cracker’!” Ben scoffs. “Now…”


“And you can fuck off too, you disease!” I snap at him. “I hated having you around, but you kept him...” I nod my head at Michael. “...occupied, and away from Brian. You were a clickbait. You meant nothing to him, and…”


“But you and I have something, 3V.” Ben sneers, nonplussed by my remarks.


“Oh no…” Justin giggles. “...surely not, you…”


“Oh my God!” Debs claps her hand over that cavernous mouth of hers and looks between the disease and Brian. “You two? You didn’t? When?”


“Before he met him!” Justin chuckles, Brian rolls his eyes. “It was at a White Party, think it was in Florida. Twice!”


“Alright, Brat, you can stop the smugness now.” 


“You slept with my husband?!” Michael explodes. “And you knew?! How you must have enjoyed keeping that over my head?!”


“He wasn’t your husband then, idiot, and certainly isn’t now. As for keeping it over your head, I have always said you never listen to me. I knew that one day you would push me too far and I would say it in anger, so I told you. Unlike yours, my conscious is clear!”


“You never told me!” Michael screams. “I sure would have fucking remembered that!” 


“And did what? Try and kill him again?!” Mel snaps, before rubbing her face. “I am sorry, Justin, that was…”


“Don’t worry, Mel, it’s fine. Besides, when I did tell him, I was, and am, more than capable of defending myself. And I did tell him, didn't I, Stud?”


“Yes, Sunshine, you did.” Brian gets that smile on his face he always had for me, which used to fill me with joy, but now that it is reserved for him, fills me with hate. “It was at Babylon about four…”


“Five. It was just after Gus’s birthday. Want a top up?” He taps Brian’s glass. He nods. “Anyone else? Please come and help yourselves, apart from the cretins, of course.”


“She knew about the prom date! She told me!” I gape at Michael. “And I did fall in the apartment like I said, so…”


“She was at home with me, in body, not in mind and heart, looking after Gus who was ill with chickenpox. And she didn't just tell you, she told me. In fact, she begged Brian to come over for days before the prom to see his son, but he was so busy at work, wrapping up before his holiday, that he couldn’t.  Both Gus and I are her alibi.”


“Holiday? What holiday? Where were you going? You never said anything about a holiday to me, your…” Michael demands.


“Oh shut your fucking trap, you imbecile!” I bark at him. “You are no more his best friend than I am! We have long been replaced by the twink, Mr Vanilla, and Piss Warm Champagne!” I sneer.


“Brian? You’ve never had chickenpox, have you, son?” Carl asks, staring me down. My eyes drop to the table.


“No. Been lucky like that. Why?”


“She would know that, as she knew all about you, every little detail. I think that’s why she wanted you there, so you could catch it and not be able to go to the Prom.”


“But karma kicked her ass…” Mel snickers. “...because she believed the fable that you can only get chickenpox once. She caught it and had to be looked after by her mother for two weeks!” The room rocks with laughter. 


“Shut up! Shut up, all of you!” I shout and, for once, they do. “Do you have any fucking idea how irritating it was?! How irritating it was to watch him just swan in and boom, that was it! He was it! Not me, not Michael...which I could just about stomach, but him, no, not him! He was not supposed to fall in love with a male version of me!”


“He is not a version of you!” Brian bellows. “He is my one and only! I will never love anyone the way I love him! You, like Novotny, were a one off, the only difference is that I came then went!”


“And found someone else to fuck immediately, just to prove you were still gay!”


“What do you mean, Ems?” Ted gasps. “How do you know that? You two weren't even friends then?”


“Ah, that would be my fault. It was the tequila…” The twink buries his head in Brian’s shoulder. “...and champagne.”


“Twat. What am I going to do with you?” Brian shakes his head. “When he mixes tequila and champagne and Ems is around, they get giggly and chatty, but unlike Sunshine, Ems doesn't tend to forget what he's been told, and that was about three weeks ago. The clean up was not pretty of neither the bathroom, nor him!”


“So, back to you lying to Mom about Uncle Brian saying no to being my father: how did he end up as my donator?” Silence reigns as Jenny has me pinned with her glare. She looks at Michael then at me again. “Did...did you two hatch this? Did you trick Mom into picking him?”


“I had nothing to do with this tricking! They asked me, and I was happy, no proud to…”


“Took you long enough though.” Justin taunts him. “I believe with Brian it was one conga line fuck watch and done in ten minutes. Took you three or was it four days?”


“You just didn't ask me, but told her I said no…”


“Told me you said no fuck no…” Mel interrupts. “...and that the very idea would make God’s Gift to Gay PA’s dick fall off.” Sne turns to look at me. “And that’s verbatim. Did you get some perverse pleasure out of watching my morning sickness, since you never suffered a minute of it when carrying Gus?”


“Of course I did!” I laugh. “I loved every second of it, and that labour! Oh, how you begged for an epidural, but I made sure we stuck to the birth plan, all natural, no pain relief.” I stand up. “Well, since I no longer want to be here, and you have provided me with an alibi. I am leaving.”


“It was you that gave me the idea.” Brian’s voice stops me at the door. 


“What now?” I sigh, then look at my watch. “Places to go, men to screw.” I smirk in Mel’s direction, she, like Ben, looks nonplussed.


“You sent Justin flowers in New York from a secret admirer to coincide with my first visit after seven months apart.” I come back to the table frowning. “You see, the one thing you and Novotny have in common is not only do you hate that we have a relationship, but you also don’t rate it. By that, I mean you think we do nothing but fuck. We don't, we also talk. He told me. Before I arrived, he called me to say that someone had sent him flowers because it freaked him out. Nobody but you, me, Mother Taylor, and Debs knew where his studio was.”


“What?” I whisper.


“Yeah. He said that he knew they weren’t from me, so after that visit I started to send him flowers, scented, like Daph said, so the ones you sent to coincide with my other visits were put in the trash. Much like our friendship is now.”


How could I have gotten that so wrong?! I sought to tear them apart through his insecurities, but I cemented their fucking relationship! I am brought back into the room by a flash. “What was that?!” I demand.


“A moment of posterity. Here she is!” Emmett exclaims. “That’s her real face, it is one of jealousy and hatred.”


They all look at the photo as Emmett passes his phone around and start laughing… laughing at me! How did things get here? 


“Actually, Emmett, I already have that!” Mel snickers as she pulls out her phone, 


Gus moves to her side. “You okay, Mom?”


“Yep, never better. Go sit back with your Pops and Papa, I won't be long…” She starts to scroll. “...now where is it? Ah here, this is her on our wedding day. One of the happiest days of our lives!” She turns the screen to face everyone. “Look how lovingly, oh wait, no, longingly, she gazes over my shoulder at Brian in this one.” She swipes right. “Now look at the daggers in her eyes as she watches her dream guy leave to take his dream guy and their son home early!” 


The next picture is of me, looking murderous, but it is the following one that stuns us all into silence, it is the back of Brian and Justin. Justin has Gus in the crook of his left arm, Brian has his arm over his shoulders, and both are kissing a cheek each, with big smiles. “It is my favourite of the three of you.” She whispers.


“Can you send that to me, Mom?” Gus blinks back tears. “I think that’s the youngest I have ever seen of me with you both.”


“You said you deleted it! You promised!” I yell.


“And I did!” Mel yells back.


“But I got your old laptops remember, 3V?” Hunter sneers. “And it was on there, so I sent it to her.” He takes a sip of his drink. “And that’s how Justin found out about your affairs too…


Start of flashback

BRITIN - EIGHTEEN MONTHS PRIOR


BACK OFFICE


HUNTER


“Awww. He looks so adorable!” I coo as I check out the picture of Gus, my babe, as a child. “How old was he?”


“Think about three.” Justin smiles. “It was at their wedding. Can you send it to Mel and me, please…” He frowns. “...I have seen their album so many times, I don’t recall that picture.”


“That’s it, sent to you both. The rest I shall put on the USB and give to Momma Mel. Now for hers.” I sigh.


“She still giving the pair of you the stink eye over you dating?”


“Yeah. It's not as if we’re not careful, we haven’t even had sex yet!” I fume. “I mean, she has had Poppa Benjie in her life for years, why is she so bent about this?!”


“Because...and you must never repeat this to Brian or Gus.” He pauses while I nod. “She wants to be the only person that they love.”


“But you guys have been together for years.”


“And she hates it.” He sighs as he sits down next to me. “I could not believe it either, thought I was misreading it, but yeah, she, like his Unca Mikey, hates that we are together. She thought it was cute at first; you know, 17 year old’s first crush, because that’s what she, in fact, everyone thought it was, but it wasn’t. I knew it wasn't, and after the bashing, everyone could see what it was, but daren’t say anything just in case they frightened Bambi.” 


“Why would they call you Bambi?”


“Not me, Brian. He’d never been in love before, and up to the bashing, he would deny it fiercely. I believe he said once he would finger an old witch whilst sucking her tit before he fell in love!” 


“Urrrgh!” I push aside the hotdog.


“And in a way he did. They fucked in college, and that’s what I call her, an old witch!”


“Papa J!” I guffaw.


“And you must not repeat that either!” He giggles.


“I won’t! Okay, let me get Ms Peterson’s laptop done…” I scowl at that enforced salutation. “...then we can go pick up my cute as a button babe.”


“Awww!”


“Do not tell him I call him that!” I blush.


“I won’t!” He grins.


We go back to working on our respective projects. He is curating for his final art show. Popsey, as I call Gus’s dad, is so happy right now, not just because it his final art show, but it is going to be hosted at Bloom Gallery. And not in New York as some people had strongly suggested. He hums as he works, as he often does. We work in here a lot, the pair of us, we like the relative quiet of it. Working in IT means I have to concentrate, and Gus, as much as I love him, is like is his Popsey in that the silences unnerve him.  But also like his Popsey, he is learning that silence is not a bad thing.


“What is that song? I have been meaning to ask you...you’ve been humming that a lot when you are here. Just here nowhere else.”


“I have?” He looks surprised. “I don’t know to be honest. I find that it pings into my head when I am calm or happy, and in these last few months, I have been really happy.” 


“Let’s see what it is. You got Shazam on your phone?” He nods. “Know the words?”


“Yeah, some of them. You can dance. Every dance with the guy, Who gave you the eye, Let him hold you tight. You can smile. Every smile for the man, who held your hand ‘neath the pale moonlight…”


“Save the Last Dance by the Drifters.” I grin. “Popsey listens to it a lot.”


“He does? He never said.” 


“Most likely because you never work together!” I snicker. “He is a neat freak, and you’re…” I trail off as I look around the room.


“Not. The word you are looking for is not.” 


“Yes, definitely not!”


“Get back to work!” He chides me with a smile.


For the next hour we work in silence until I find something. “Uh, Papa J!” I shudder. “Is that what I think it is?” He comes over and gasps. “When did Momma Mel get such a realistic strap on?!” I cringe.


“She didn’t. That’s not Momma Mel, that is the artist and enfant terrible Sam Auberbach!” 


“Sam as in Samantha?”


“Nope. Is that the only picture?” I begin to search the folder tree, and there are a list of names: Sam, Fred, Andrew, James, Mitchell; and as we open each one, there are pictures of her ‘flexibility and enthusiasm’. “Hunter, put all of that ickiness on a USB and clear the laptop. I know exactly who to give this to!”

End of flashback

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be constructive and kind. Thanks.

But Was Thwarted and Now Enmeshed by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 10 - BUT WAS THWARTED AND NOW ENMESHED


JUSTIN


“Aren’t you curious as to why I gave it to mom, V3?” I take immense pleasure in her shellshocked expression. “I finally had my revenge, my way of letting you know how it felt to have someone interfere in your relationship. But unlike you, I wasn’t actually fucking and sucking around on Brian.”


“How could you do that?! It was none of your business what she was doing in her relationship! You don't know what their terms were.” Novotny rebukes me. He looks back at the incredulous looks that he is getting. “Well, he didn’t!”


“So their relationship is none of his business, but she can try and disrupt theirs at every given opportunity?” Daph has to be pulled back in her seat by Cynders.


“They do not have a relationship! Why don't you people get it?!” Novotny spits.


“They have been together, faithfully, for 15 years! How the hell is that not a relationship?!” Daphne snarls.


“Of course your fag hag would defend you!” He scoffs. “But I know for a fact that Brian has not been faithful to him!” He looks around the room. “I have proof!” He smirks when I look at Brian. “Everyone check your phones.” He orders as he taps his. “You should have it now.” The room goes quiet and he looks around gleefully. “I am sorry, but you forced my hand…”


“You know, I can’t imagine you as anything but blonde, but that really suits you, Justin.” Blake interrupts. “But where was that taken?”


“Justin?” The idiot echoes, and V3 looks over his shoulder at his phone. Her face twists in fury. “What’s wrong Lindz?”


“You! You came back?! How many times?!” She shouts.


“As many times as we wanted to be together in the Pitts!” I snap back. “I love New York, but Pittsburgh, and, once again, Brian, is my home!”


“I don't understand.” Novotny frowns,


“Of course you don’t, you only see what you want! And what you see there is Brian in the private lounge in Babylon, kissing, please note, kissing not fucking, a brunette with green eyes.” I smirk. “But what the rest of them see is me, with my hair dyed brown, and contacts in.” 


“That was you???” He explodes.


“It was always me!” I laugh. “Do feel free to share the video of him in the office at Babylon…


Start of flashback

BABYLON - FIVE YEARS AGO


OFFICE


JUSTIN


I dump my bag and roll my neck after the flight from hell. It was late, noisy, and bumpy! I grab a glass and pour a generous amount of vodka into it. Although it burns slightly, I relish it. I stretch out on the sofa, kick off my boots and wiggle my toes, I sigh deeply and close my eyes for just a few seconds. I am jolted awake by the sound of his voice.


“Michael, for the last time, It is you who has a husband who is pissed off already. Staying with me for the rest of the day is not going to help. For Christ's sake, go sort that out. I have an appointment that I am already…”


“But Brian, you need to help me with Ben. He listens to you! I think he is being unfair!”


“No he’s not.” Brian snaps, and I hear the gasp from his leech of the day. “You blew him off to go to yet another comic convention…”


“Captain Marvel and Captain Astro were both there, he knows how important they are to me!” He argues, and I dig out my phone, shaking my head. “He will have another…”


“Don‘t you get it?!” Brian shouts. “They are not real, they are people paid to be them for nerds and geeks like you! There will always be another convention! He is HIV positive, he might not have another birthday!”


“Have you two been talking?” He demands, his voice laced with suspicion.


“No, why?” Brian sighs.


“Because that’s what he said!” He sneers.


“That’s what anyone with an ounce of common sense and compassion would say, and more importantly, think! What has happened to you, Michael? When did you get so callous, and not just towards Justin, but to everyone? Actually, it is not just callous, it is arrogant as well. You have changed, and not for the better. Now go fix your fuck up!”


I finish sending the text to Marlo, who works at Ben’s favourite restaurant, knowing two things: Michael won’t fix the fuck up, and Ben will have all his favourite foods delivered to their house by seven.


“How can you treat me this way after…”


“Everything you did for me as a kid? Easy, because of what little you did for me when I needed you most as an adult!”


“Brian!”


“Get out, Michael, whilst there is something of your favourite relationship to salvage! No, don’t speak, if you want me to continue to be your best friend, go home to the person you fought to be your husband!” I hold my breath and wait. I can feel my cock twitching. I have never been more turned on in my life! “Thank fuck for that!” Brian grumbles, as no doubt Michael storms off. 


I start to pull off my clothes as I hear him running up the stairs. As he steps into the office, I leap on him. He catches me and we kiss the short distance back to the couch. 


“You said...” He mutters as he finishes continues stripping me. “...you would be dark brown, not black.”


“I know…” I gasp as I almost tear his clothes off. “...it looked awful, so changed it. Why those jeans?!” I demand frantically tugging at them. They are the stiffest ones he has.


“Client meeting first thing, last minute.” He explains, batting my hands away before shoving them down to his knees. “Knowing you were waiting for me, had to keep Jnr contained!” I moan as Jnr drips on my bush. “So, we really gonna do this?!” He groans, sucking at my neck.


“Yes. Now hurry!” I push his jeans off with my feet as he reaches for lube. “I don’t need it!” I gasp, then squeal as I feel him enter me, raw. 


“Christ!” He yells. “So good, so good!” 


“Ha-ah!” I cry as he bottoms out, we both go still.


“That’s it. I’m in, no going back.” He whispers.


“You always were and it will always be only you. No matter what happens, only you get all of me.” I whisper back…

End of flashback


BRIAN


“As a matter of interest, do you have it?” I look across at Novotny. “If you do, please send it to me, I would like a cop...” 


“Hey!” Novotny snaps, and tries to grab his phone back from Daphne. When she moved, I don’t know. 


“Heads up!” She yells as she tosses it my way. 


“Brian! Give me that back! It’s private! You have no right to look through my things!


“You had no right to try and kill me, but that’s what you did!” Justin declares. “And you were so lucky that he only hit you once at the party. If I had heard what you said, well…”


“What party? Is this what Ems was talking about before?” Carl asks. “I know you hit him some years ago, first and last time, but not why. So why?”


“Because he said I should’ve left Justin to die in the garage.” I reply, and the world stops.


“You said what?” Carl growls.


“Michael! For God's sake!” V3 exclaims, starting to move away from him.


“Oh please!” Daph snaps. “Don’t even! You were most likely thinking the same thing, but no filter dumbass here just said it!”


“I would never think something so heinous!” She rubs her face. “Alright, I will admit that I didn't want them to be together…”


“Well duh!” Gus scoffs.


“But to say that, I would never…”


“Mel, where were you on the night of the prom, and why did you say, V3, that she and Gus were your alibi? Why would you need one?”


DAPHNE


“I was at home like I said, but good point, why say that?” She turns to her soon-to-be-ex.


“Because you weren’t, well not all night.” I reply, grinning. “You were called to the precinct. You can come in now!” I holler, and the door opens. “Hey, did you bring it?” I demand of the female officer holding what is going to be the key to the lock that cages V3!


“Officer Fitson, what are you doing here?” Carl looks confused as does everyone else, well everyone but me and Officer Fitson.


“This is the log book on the night of the prom.” She hands it to Carl. “The tabbed page is particularly significant to Ms Marcus.” Carl flicks to the page, and the look of incredulousness has people gathering around, well, most of them. “She signed in at ten past ten, and left the precinct at three thirty the next morning.”


“So the alibi comment.” I goad V3. “Shall I explain whilst you gather your things?”


“Gather my…”


“You see, Brian, both of your best friends were determined that you would not find true love with anyone but them. And, like him, she was at the hotel on the night Justin was attacked…”


“I was not!” “See, I told you it wasn’t me!” They say at the same time.


“It was you, Novotny, and you were there, V3.” I correct them. “But she helped you get away with it for so long, unwittingly, but she did.”


“How?” Brian frowns.


“Because she called her mother to look after Gus for a few hours so she could get some sleep.” Officer Fitson explains. “But she couldn’t as she had guests, but she would send someone suitable, and that someone was me.”


“What?” Brian gapes.


“I was their next door neighbour, but two down. She barely paid me any attention, unless it was to sneer as we didn't live up The Avenue, however I digress. I wasn’t going to the prom.” She turns her baleful gaze on V3. “Not because the poor dear couldn’t find anyone desperate enough, but because I had exams first thing, so your mother called mine, and she sent me.”


“Charlotte, Charlotte Fitson?!” V3 gasps.


“Yep. You dumped Gus in my arms the moment I got there, and said you were going to lie down.”


“And that’s what I did.” 


“Then…” Officer Fitson steps outside briefly, then comes back in, pushing an old style TV and VCR unit. She says nothing as she plugs it in. The screen flickers briefly before everyone gasps. “...how are you there?” Brian and Justin are still, like everyone else, staring at the screen, which shows pictures from the security camera from the garage of the hotel. “Because that is you.” 


“You see the time…” I make my way to the screen and tap it when I get there. “It says 0035, Justin was attacked at 0028. By the time the police came, the only blood to be found was Justin’s.” If possible, the room goes quieter. “Next couple of shots, please.” My heart is pounding, and I look across at Ben and nod at Justin. He and Brandon get up and stand next to him and Brian. “And this is you, leaving twenty minutes after the ambulance.”


“You!” Justin screams, but is immediately held tighter by Brian, while Ben helps hold I'm down, and Brandon get between Brian and her.


“Look at me! Justin,  look at me!” Ben orders. His head turns and he locks gazes with him. “Think about it! That’s the reason…” He points at the screen. “...the reason she wanted you gone! What do you have that is coming back, in little flashes?”


“My memory.” He queries.


“More than that, your memory is more than that!” Ben presses.


“His eidetic memory.” Brian grimaces. “He’d remember more and more each passing year…”


“And then there’s the blood.” I nod at Charlie, as I call her, having known her for years. Again she steps outside. “Or lack thereof.” 


Charlie comes back in with a very old fire extinguisher. Confusion now joins annoyance on people’s faces. “And that was because you washed it away, we believe, using this…” She approaches V3 with a box. “...so, to disprove our theory, fingerprints please.” 


“That is all fake, made up!” She babbles, and starts to move towards the head of the table.


“Coming closer to us is such a bad idea!” Brian growls, and she stops. 


“Just put the glass down, Lindsay.” I tell her. “We can take them from there so you won’t get dirty.”


She turns to me, then, smirking, she winds her arm back and throws the glass across the room.


“Catch it!” I scream desperately, then watch in relief as Emmett leaps up and grabs it, but then he crashes into the wall. “Ems!” I rush over to him. “You okay?! Did you get it?!”


“I got it!” He puffs as I help him up. “Want to take mine first?”


“Please!” Charlie beams at him. 


“Hold everything!” Carl booms. “How are we here?!” 


“Because Officer Miller is my boyfriend.” Carlie grins. “And when he told me you were working on the case and what he had so far, I remembered why I wasn’t at the prom or at home. So I called Daph, and together we went back to the hotel, and it turned out that nobody had asked for footage of the garage.” Groans abound. “But the new management kept everything from the previous owners, after they skipped when nobody would stay there after it became known as...as Basher Mansions.”


“Well I’ll be damned!” Carl mutters.


“Wait! Can everyone please just wait?!” She screams. “I heard him be attacked, but I didn't see it! There was so much blood, so much, I just wanted it away…”


“Why not wash it all away?” David asks. “Why just that blood?”


“Because she was, ironically, trying to help...”. Mel sniffs. 


“Michael, her fellow collaborator!” Ted demands.


“No, she knows Brian, like you said, Carl, and the one thing, even before the bashing, he could not stand, is the sight of blood. But she didn't realise whose blood it was, she just washed it away, didn't you?”


“Yes.” She whispers. “But I didn’t see who. I swear!”


“Do you know what we could’ve done with the little you could’ve told us?!” Brian roars. “So, yeah, okay, so Mel would’ve been pissed, but it was another pair of eyes! A different perspective, just fucking something, someone other than me!” 


“But he’s here, still fucking here!” She snaps back. “And…”


“You had one on me.” Justin glares at her. “And that was all that mattered to you!” He squeezes both Ben and Brandon’s arms. “Guys, sit down, I am fine. Besides, I believe there is a terminology for what she did, right, Mel?”


“Yes. Evidence tampering. By washing it away, no matter the reasoning, you impeded the investigation. And since this is still an unresolved attempted murder, for which there is no statute of limitations, you can be and will be charged with that.”


“Wh...what? There is a statute!”


“Not for murder, attempted or otherwise, so you, you witch, you have just condemned yourself to at least three years in prison!”


End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

His Mouth Comes Back to Taunt Him by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 11 - HIS MOUTH COMES BACK TO TAUNT HIM


MICHAEL


She was there?! I can’t help the relief coursing through my soul. She has just admitted that she washed away my blood! There is no way that they can prove I was there. I sit back in my seat and smirk. 


“Wouldn’t get too comfortable if I were you.” Carl growls, I flick him the bird and stretch the tension out of my shoulders. “We don’t need your blood, we know you were there, we know you did it, and we can prove it.”


“No, I was not there. No, I did not do it. No, you have no evidence.” I crow.


“Au contraire, we have evidence.” He states emphatically.


“And you actually believe that she washed away the blood because of Brian not liking the sight of it? It was her blood of course…”


“How do you work that out?!” Lindsay exclaims, I turn to her. “I did not attack Justin!”


“But you were there, they have proof. They have the photos. There is nothing that links me to the scene, but everything is pointing to you, isn’t it?”


“Nope.” Officer Fitson announces. “I was babysitting Gus. She was back within a couple of  hours.”


“Plenty of…” I begin.


“Not her. Present, yes, attacker no. There are a couple of things you have failed to take into consideration. How did she get there and back?”


“By car of course!” I shake my head at her stupidity. She takes out another piece of paper from the file and slides it across to me. “What is this?” 


“Copy of the page of the log book. See where Melanie Marcus is signed in?” Carl’s smile gets wider and wider. “What’s next to that?” I read it and purse my lips. “Yeah, the licence plate of the car she drove. So Lindsay could not have driven over there…”


“Oh how convenient!” I sneer. “I note that this is a copy of the page. I’d like to see the original!”


“Nope, that is evidence!” Carl barks. “You and your attorney will be able to see it after you have been formally charged!”


“The only person you should realistically charge is Lindsay!” I taunt her. “She is the only one that was there. I wasn’t! I was in my apartment, injured, and…”


“Wait a minute!” Mel exclaims, and looks around the room. “Jay-Ray, where is your laptop? Get it now!” She rushes out and is back, switching it on as she returns to her seat, 


“Mel?” Brian frowns.


“Oh, you are without a doubt the most adorably anally retentive man I have ever had the joy of meeting! Give me it, honey!” 


“I am not anally….”


“Not you, you fool!” She snaps as her fingers fly over the keys. “Ted! Get here!” He scurries over and stares at the screen. He is joined by Blake. “You set it up for me, do you think you can find it?!”


“Find what?!” Hunter joins them, moving Mel aside. “Work in IT remember? So what are you looking for?!”


“An email. Just after he moved to Portland, he said he arrived safely but had had an accident.” Mel is animated.


“He sent you an email about that? Why?” Hunter stops, glaring at me.


“Not him, it was from Ted about one he sent him! Maybe a month or so after he got there.” 


“Mel? Can you at least tell us what the email says?!” Boy Wonder demands, but she shakes her head. “Why not?”


“Just in case I am misremembering it.”


“He works best in silence, so everyone be quiet!” Gus orders. The minutes tick by and I take comfort in the disappointment beginning to cloud her face, whilst wracking my brains as to what email I would’ve sent to Ted and why! “Momma? I take it he can’t find it?”


“Because there is nothing to…”


“That one!” Ted shrieks. “Oh my god, Mel! Well done!”


“And what fantastical thing has she found?” I try to calm the hammering in my chest.


“Something that puts you right back in the frame, where you belong!” Blake crows as he reads. I don’t like the smile that Hunter has. “Send it to Carl!” Seconds later his phone beeps. “Read it! Read it!” 


Carl opens up his phone, and once again my knee begins to throb. What the hell do they have?! “Ah, now that is unfortunate for you, Novotny. Whilst she washed away physical evidence in the garage, pray tell how did she clear up the blood in your apartment, since you fell in there first?” 


“What are you blabbing on about?!” I demand.


“Your leg was still bleeding on your way to the airport, correct?” 


“Yes.” I retort.


“Then it got worse at the airport, correct? Just nod, please!” I humor him by doing so, “However, you told Ted, and he told Mel in this email that you got all of your deposit back for having left a spick and span apartment…”


“I tripped in the airport!” I snarl.


“No, you definitely said, then and earlier, that you fell out of the cab rushing to meet me!” David is gleeful. “And, as it was a public place, they would have to have recorded it. You know, to avoid litigation…”


“They can and will subpoena their records.” Ben, who hasn’t said much during my ordeal is now looking gimlet eyed. He leans over Ted and peers at the screen. “Can you open this email Mel? It is the medical we both had for the insurance. And another set of records we need to have is your medical ones, which will show the true extent of your injuries. Those X-rays don’t do that, we need the notes the doctor wrote up. You don’t have an issue providing them, do you, since this will exonerate you, of course?” 


All eyes turn back to me. “But before that, and I know this is going to be painful, but Brian can you tell us what you saw when Justin got bashed?” David asks.


“Why?” Carl frowns. “We have his statement. Surely you…”


“I know, but I just want to check something. Is that okay, Justin?” David presses.


“That’s not very kind of you reliving someone else’s pain!”


“At least he didn't cause it!” Ma snaps. “Sunshine?”


“I am here to hear it, so it’s fine. Let’s sit down though.” Everyone retakes their seats and I roll my eyes. “You ready?”


“As I will ever be…”


Start of flashback

HOTEL GARAGE - PROM NIGHT, FIFTEEN YEARS AGO


BRIAN


“Are you sure you can’t tell me now?” He bats his eyes and smiles up at me.


“No, it has to be when we’re back at the loft. You sure I can’t drop you off?”


“No, I promised I would take her home. I will get back to the loft straight after, she wants details! Now come on, the sooner I go, the quicker I come back to you.”


“I can’t wait to get you back there…” I twirl him around, then bend him back and kiss him, just like we did a few minutes ago in front of everyone.


“Aww! That is so…”


“Ridiculously romantic?” I chuckle. He grins and nods. “Go on now, call me when you are on your way back.”


“I will. I…”


“Don’t, don’t say anything now, okay?”


“See you soon, Stud.” He kisses me softly, then slowly he lets go of my hands and turns away.


I watch him head back to get Daph, twirling both ends of the scarf in his hands, I hum Save the Last Dance as I return to my jeep when I hear something. Looking over my shoulder, I see someone come out of the shadows with something in their hands. They swing at Justin.


“JUSTIN!” I scream, and he falls to the floor. “NO, STOP!” I bellow as the guy starts to swing again, but then turns to run instead. I catch him easily and we scramble for the stick. I get to it first and smash it against his leg. He screams and collapses to the floor. 


“JUSTIN!” I howl as I run back to him. He is moving and groaning. “No, stay still, Sunshine, don’t move!”I wrap his head as best I can with the scarf. Shaking and holding down my vomit I call the ambulance. “Please hurry! Don’t let him die, please!”


Ten minutes later, with the police leading the way, he is stable and we are on the way to the hospital with me pleading with him to hold on, to stay with me!

End of flashback


BRIAN


I take the handkerchief from Emmett and wipe Justin’s face. “You okay?” I whisper. He smiles, then rests his head on my shoulder.


“What was the point of that?!” Novotny demands.


“When you hit him, can you remember how you did it?” Ben asks. “As in, was it a wide swing or just a sharp slug?” 


I think for a bit and go through the motion as my memory comes back. “Sharp slug.”


“Over which shoulder did you see him approach?”


“Left, as if he was coming from a car as opposed to the building.”


“So what of it?!” Novotny snaps.


“Read it out loud, Ted.” Ben orders.


“There’s nothing. No notes, nothing. There is nothing about your injury in your report, and there should be, so why isn’t there?”


“Most likely the previous doctor, a friend of yours, Dr Cameron, I believe, forgot to write it....”


“Records sealed at the request of patient.” Ted interrupts.


“Which I find odd, considering the malingering you did over it. Care to explain?” Ben sneers.


“And whilst you are thinking of a suitable lie…” David pitches in. “...Ted is right about your muscle memory. In fact, your memory in general. While everyone was watching Brian and Justin, I was watching you and you were mouthing the words…”


“What words?” He seethes.

 

“The words that Brian said to Justin before you bashed him. And you could only have heard them if you were there!”

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

The Ring of Truth, Yes He Didn't Admit It...But He Never Denied it Either! by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 12 - THE RING OF TRUTH, YES HE DIDN’T ADMIT IT...BUT HE NEVER DENIED IT EITHER!


MICHAEL


“What the fuck?! For the last time, I was not there! I did not do it!” I thunder at him. “And besides…” I take a couple of breaths. “...Brian told me all about…”


“No I didn’t.” Brian blasts. “I never told anybody about what Justin and I said to each other before you bashed him. For our ears only.”


For our ears only?! The ‘our’ used to be us until the slut came along! 


“She has a point! And from what everyone has said, I believe it!” Ben’s snarking tone gets my head back in the game of saving my hide!


“What?” I demand.


“I think I have the picture of it still. It was a source of pride to have my boy home, now it can only be described as…”


“A source of shame, embarrassment and the look of truth. Can I see that please, Debs?” Carl, the other sneak-thief in my life chips in.


“What are you talking about?!” I exclaim, just about stopping myself from punching the table.


“There you go.” Ma hands him her phone. “She’s right, there's that expression that to me used to mean, Brian Kinney screwed me over again, but really since Sunshine came along, really meant, he is not dancing to my tune anymore and I don’t like it! Yeah, that’s the one!” She jabs a red fingernail at me. “And I’m not dancing either, am I?!” 


“Ma, could you…”


“Miss Grassi, or if I have anything to do with it, Mrs soon-to-be Horvath!” Jennifer snarls. “So this, Debs, tell us about it.”


“It was about two months after he came back from…”


“Debs, he didn’t come back from Portland, he was sent back to Pittsburgh.” Boy Wonder tells her with a smirk. “David booted him out, remember?”


“Oh yes, so he did. So anyway…”


Start of flashback

DINER - TWO MONTHS AFTER MICHAEL’S RETURN


DEBS


I’ve got almost everything prepared. All the family is here, well mostly. We’re just waiting for Michael, who doesn’t know about the dinner; Ted, who is running interference; Brian, and Justin. I head back to the kitchen and check the chicken. It smells great, there is enough food for a small army! 


“Debs!” Ems trills as he returns, having been dumping rubbish. “What else do you need me to do?”


“Set the drinks up, please, honey.” I look at my watch and frown. “He said he wouldn't be late.”


“And they won’t be, but he has been working so hard.  Between you and me, I am worried about him.” Ems sighs, as he leans against the counter. “He is being pulled every which way, especially by his best friends!” He lowers his voice a notch, so I get closer. “Even the ice queen has expressed concern to Teddy.”


“Mel?!” I gasp gazing at her as she cuddles Gus. “Mel is worried about Brian?”


“Uh huh.” He smiles a little. “She stocked his fridge a couple of weeks back when Justin went to visit his grandma with Jen and Molly.” I am stunned. “I know, right? Lindsay said she would shop for him as he was so busy at work. She bought a bottle of Beam and some apples!” 


“For fuck sake!” I hiss, glaring at her back. “Is that all they see?!”


“Apparently.” When his phone beeps, his smile dies as he hands it to me. “This is what I mean.”


I read the text from Michael asking Emmett if he’s seen Brian. He’s been trying his phones, but he’s not picking up. You’d think that as his injured best friend has returned he would be more comforting, especially as he nursing a broken heart as well as a broken leg!


“Jesus.” I sigh, scratch my head, then fix a smile in my face as Lindsay comes into the kitchen. “What can I do for you?”


“Need any help? Where are the rest of your guests? Hopefully Brian won’t be too long, Gus is eager to see his daddy.”


“Ted is bringing Michael, as I said earlier, and Brian and Justin will be…”


“Justin? Justin’s coming? I am surprised by that. I know that Michael would…”


“Doesn't know about the dinner, so has no say on the guests. As for what you can do, nothing, we’re good thanks.” She looks puzzled, but goes back to sit down. As I am arranging the plates, she is looking annoyed. “You okay, Lindsay?”


“Huh? Oh yes, just wondering what is keeping everyone.” 


“Well Ted is waiting for the call from me to say to bring Michael, which I should do now.” I head back to the kitchen, ten minutes later, a grumbling Michael limps in. He brightens a bit when he sees everyone. “Well you didn’t think I was going to let the return of my boy go uncelebrated?!” I declare, bundling him for a hug.


“Thanks, Ma!” He grins, then his face falls. “Late again, I see.”


“Brian is always late.” Lindsay kisses his cheek. “But now that Justin is around, he has been getting later.”


“He will be here when he’s here as usual! Now come on, let’s get the wine opened!” I order, soon we are chattering away, but I can’t help but notice the continued glancing at the door and their phones of Michael and Lindsay.


“Debs, your phone was in the kitchen, you have a missed call from Brian.” Ted calls. “Want me to bring it?”


“No need, I will call him see where he is!” Michael declares, rolling his eyes. He sits back and we wait, but judging by the darkening expression, Brian is not picking up.


“Ted, can you bring my phone, please?” 


“Let me have it, Ted, I will…”


“Have your wine and let Debs call him back…” Ted retorts. “...since he called her and not you.” 


The room goes quiet as I wait for him to pick up. I don't think he is going to when it answers. “So, asshole, where are you?! The food is...oh, Justin. Hi, Sunshine, what are you…” I pause and listen, then nod. “Okay, Sunshine, you take care, okay? Lots of rest, you guys have food there? No? Okay, Ems will bring some, he’s coming now.” I look at Ems who’s looking sadder than earlier. “Okay, bye, sweetheart.”


“Overworked him, has he?!” Michael snips as I hang up.


“No. He’s got a migraine, and…”


“But could still call you to complain about it and have Brian stay to cater to his every whim?” Michael arches a brow. 


“It is Brian that has a migraine. He’s been vomiting, and could barely stand, so Justin made him go to bed. Ems, could you take the other chicken, some of the pasta...”


“He obeyed the orders of Justin? My, how the mighty are falling…” Mel smiles.


“Don’t you mean fallen?”


“No, Michael, she doesn't, and I think she’s right!” I scowl at him. “I think he might just be beginning to love this kid, well as much…”


“Love?! Brian?! What a crock!” Lindsay scoffs. “And actually, I think it would be best if I dropped the food around, and…”


“Come back with potential germs for your Gus?” Mel points out. “Let Ems go, he will do what they need and leave them in peace.”


“I will go! I am...”


“The guest of honour at a meal that it took me all day to make. Sit down!” I exclaim. I glare him back into the seat. He adopts his crossed arms stance with a blazing look, the expression on Lindsey's face is no better.


“I will be an hour tops. Wonder if I should get some pills too? What with Sunshine’s allergies, I doubt they would have any where they are...”


“Surely Sunshine has something that Brian can take if he is sick.” Michael mutters, Ted slaps him across the back of his head. “What the hell, Ma?!”


“Ted beat me to it!” I growl. “You should be grateful!”


“Okay, we have the chicken, pasta, rice, lemon bars, what else?”


“Condoms and lube, they might have run out by the time you get there.” Linsday suggests looking at Michael.


“Oh, good idea!” Ems grins. “Definitely stopping by the pharmacy!”


“I was joking, Ems!”


“Well it’s on you now, isn’t it?” He puts on his jacket. “Oh yes, definitely, a nice relaxant for them...” I can’t help the snicker at her peeved expression, especially when Ems makes a call. “...hey, Sunshine, how is your big man doing? Oh, okay. Look, as well as food, am bringing other essentials, so need to know the size, brand, and…” His voice fades as he heads out, but he never came back. He called me when he got there, said how wrung out they both looked. He had called Jen, she was on her way to collect them, whilst he cleaned the loft.


NEXT AFTERNOON


DINER


DEBS


“Hey Kiddo, oh crap, you look like shit!” I gasp as Brian and Justin come in, Brian has dark circles and is in sweats under his coat, Justin looks and is dressed the same. “What are you two doing out of bed?!” 


“Shouldn’t that be, oh you are finally out of bed?!” Michael grumbles as he limps in after them. “I take it you have recovered? You missed Gus and a lovely meal that Ma took…”


“Michael, Brian is still sick, surely you can see that?! If not, do the world a favour and focus!” Ems raps out as he helps a not objecting Brian into the booth. “I will go back with you two. Who drove?”


“I did.” Brian’s rasps. “Can we have some water please?” 


“I’ll get it.” Justin gets up, but Ems pushes him down before looking at Michael.


“What?” 


“He’s your best friend, remember? For crying out loud, you are standing right by the water jug, he has asked for some. Pour it!” He takes his time turning to the counter, wincing as he does. I go to do it, but Ems shakes his head. People are beginning to tut and tisk at how long he is taking.


“There you go.” He puts half a glass, singular, on the table, then slowly sits opposite them. They look at the glass, then each other. “Don’t you want it?”


“Oh for god sake!” Kiki explodes, before pouring two full glasses. “Do you need something to eat with your pills?” 


“He does.” Brian replies. “I am fine. It’s gone, just dehydrated.”


“Michael, let me out please! And again, focus!” Ems barks. 


“I am focusing, Emmett! But my…”


“No you aren’t, because you are here!”


“Can you please stop shouting, Honeycutt?! Look, here are the keys...” He hands him the set to the jeep then drains the glass. “...eat quick, twat, I need to lie down.”


“Aren’t you going to ask about my evening?” Michael huffs. 


“To be honest, Michael...”


“He spent it being a sulky miserable dickhead all night, according to Teddy, because you weren't there. Why would you want to hear about that? Oh, but there was one snippet of wisdom that was imparted from the queen of the queens!”


“And what was that?” Brian asks, taking a bite of Justin’s toast.


“That you are beginning to love this kid.” Ems trills, the diner goes quieter. 


“You ready?” Brian stands and Justin nods. “And you need to explain focus to him, because that…” He flicks the glass Michael poured. “...pissed me off.” 


They head out the door in relative silence, then Michael snorts. “Lindsay was right, he isn’t beginning to love that kid! And what does focus mean, other than…”


“Go ahead, Ems, I will explain!” Kiki orders, with a kiss to our cheeks he rushes out. “So, first the focus, please do so because it is an acronym. You know what one of those is, right?” He frowns. “An acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word. So, in this case, focus, means fuck off cos u’re stupid…”


“What?!” He bellows. “Wait until I get hold of Emmett!” He scrambles out of the booth.


“Suddenly he can walk!” Someone sneers, but we can’t see who. “Shame he can’t hear or see what Kinney is saying!” 


“What is that supposed to mean?!” Michael shouts.


“Whilst he didn’t admit it, he also didn’t deny it!” The same voice replies. “And, the one thing Kinney has never done is said that he’s pissed with you!”


“He is not pissed with me! He’s sick, and he’s…”


“Sick when it suits you! Now focus, I want to eat my lunch in peace!”


He turns to me, I just point at the door.

End of flashback


BRIAN


I rub Justin’s knuckle. “I was. You know that, right?”


“Yes, I know. Brian, can I take a punt at something?”


“Sure.” 


“Were you going to ask me to marry you on prom night?” I sigh, then smile at the smart man who I love deeply and nod. “Say it, say it out loud. I want them, especially those two, to hear it.”


“Yes. Yes, I was going to ask you to marry me when we got back to the loft. But we were going to wait until you had graduated college first.”


“Oh my god!” Daph gasps, then rushes to hug us both, followed by Gus, then everyone else. “Wait, wait, the rings, where are they?”


“Think they must have gotten taken in the robbery.” I sigh. “But we have these, and I will…”


“Daph, could you get them, please?” Justin interrupts, she tearfully rushes to her purse and then pulls out a bag. She places it on the table between us, and, once more, Ems is on hand with the tissues. “Take it out and open it.” I don’t know why my hand is shaking as I pull out the box. My heartbeat skyrockets as I open it. Inside are two rings, one green and one blue. “They were what I could afford at the time. When you said you wouldn’t come to the Prom, I was crushed, but you were sure, weren’t you, Daph? You said, 'I have a feeling he is going to be there'...so she made me take them with me.”


“I took them from the hospital that night, as I knew he would be devastated to find them missing.” Daph explains. “So, can I make a best woman suggestion?”


“Oh!” Ems blubbers. “Perfect! Just perfect!” 


“What is?” Jay-Ray frowns.


“The blue for you, Brian, and the green for Justin. To show your commitment to each other. After all, you were in love from the moment you saw each other.” 



BEN


The door is rapped on, another officer steps in, signalling Carl. He gets up quickly, shutting it behind him. The room falls silent as we wait for him to come back. “About the robbery, did you get much back?” I ask Brian, who shakes his head.


The door opens again, a very smug Carl pokes his head back in. “Ben, a word!”


Five minutes later, we both return to our seats. My soul is finally at peace. I feel no guilt for what I am about to say; one, because he never loved me, as has been proven time and time again; and, two, I can finally live up to my hopes and dreams. I slide it off my finger and push it towards Michael. “You can have that back.” 


“You’re leaving me?!” He screeches. “Because you believe this bull…”


“Yes, I am leaving you, because you are a jealous and spiteful little child! You are a master manipulator, a consummate liar, an attempted murderer, and a thief!”


“A thief now is it?! And what exactly did I steal?!” Michael sneers.


“These.” Carl states, as he puts the evidence bag on the table. “Brian, do you recognise the box and contents?”


He looks at them for a few minutes before looking at Michael with such hatred it chills the room. “Yes!” He blazes. “Those were going to be our wedding rings!”

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

The Consequences of Being Cocksure by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 13 - THE CONSEQUENCES OF BEING COCKSURE


BEN


“And just how did I steal them?!” Michael challenges. “By your own admission, Justin, you changed the locks after I returned from Portland. How did I get into the loft to do that?”


I know I should not feel sorrow, but what he has said confirms to me how much he coveted Brian, how much he never wanted me. I smile at Brandon as he squeezes my hand. 


“So can I give him your number now?” Brandon smiles back.


“No…”


“Give who your number?” 3V demands, which, of course, gets Micharl’s attention.


“I know what this is now!” He yells, standing up. “This is a carefully constructed ruse because you are cheating on me!”


“It’s any straw in a bale for you, isn’t it?!” Mel raps out.


“And that means?!” Michael growls.


“You will grasp at anything to save your accursed carcass.” Ted replies calmly, too calmly. “I would like to know where you come into things, Ben. You’ve barely said a word, but you did say ‘thief’ - explain.” I am about to begin when he clears his throat. “And why is she not being mirandized?” He points at 3V. “She has admitted to tampering with a crime scene, thus impeding the investigation, ergo…”


“Oh, good pont, Ted!” Carl declares smiling. “I was so focused on him…well, go to it!” He looks at Officer Fitson. “You heard Ted.”


3V’s eyes widen as Officer Fitson approaches her with her cuffs out. “You can’t be ser…”


“Lindsay Peterson, I am arresting you for evidence tampering in the case of the attempted murder of Justin Cole Taylor. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you…”


“No! I was trying to help! Trying to ease his pain of seeing that!” She yells, starting to rush to the other side of the table. Unfortunately, round that other side is Jennifer, who trips her up, sending her sprawling. “Ow!” She screeches as her head connects with the cart, causing it to rattle. Luckily for her, none of the bottles fall.


“You will also be charged with resisting arrest!” Officer Fitson hauls her up. “And fleeing the scene of a crime!” She snarls. We watch in silence as the cuffs are clapped on and she starts to lead a stunned but silent 3V out.


“Wait!” Jennifer calls out. “Let her stay! She must stay to the end. What harm could it do?”


“True.” Carl concedes before looking around.


“She can sit right here between Debs and me. Okay with you, Debs?”


“Oh yes, that’s perfectly fine.” Debs growls, moving one seat down. Before she can say anything, she is sat down with Officer Fitson behind her. “Blink, breathe, and be quiet, capice?!” 


TED


“One down, one to go.” I enjoy the ticking of Novotny’s jaw and the clenching of his hands. “So, Ben, you were saying? How is he a thief?”


“Wait a minute, Ted, before you do that. I...” Justin is incredulous. “These? I can’t believe you did this for us!”


“Why not?” I frown. “Can I see it, Carl? Brian?”


“Yes, but come over here, please.” Carl orders, and all but Novotny and Ben crowd around.


“As to why?” Brian clears his throat. “He doodled them one day, so I had them made.”


“Wow, they are beautiful!” Debs sniffs. “Can they get them back, you know, afterwards?”


“That depends on Brian and Justin.” Carl looks from one to the other. “This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle that got us here, so, without going into all of it, can you take us up to how you came by them, Ben?”


“Of course. Everyone sit down, please.” He clears his throat, and we all rush to our seats. Brian and Justin continue to look puzzled.


BEN


“I didn't connect it at first, but it was Novotny who arranged the break in…” Astonishment replaces confusion on everyone’s faces except Carl’s. “...and all so that he could get…”


“I don’t understand.” Ted frowns. 


“He needed the key to the loft so that he could return the rings.” I explain.


“So I am returning something that I stole now, am I? This is such cockamamie bullshit!”


“Wait a second!” Ems exclaims. “Since they were for Prom night, how are they here?” The room goes quiet as people begin to formulate their thoughts. “Where did you find them, Ben?”


“In his sock drawer, buried right at the back, wrapped in a black bag. At first, I was really excited to see a Tiffany Box because our wedding anniversary was coming up. I resisted looking inside for a month, but as our anniversary got closer, I couldn’t resist anymore and had a look. They are so beautiful, I could not believe that he had done this, but, of course, he hadn’t.” I sneer. “You bought yourself some time, coming in like you did…”


Start of flashback

NOVOTNY-BRUCKNER’S HOME - A YEAR AGO


BEN


“BASTARD!” Michael screams after he slams the door. I scramble to put the ring box back exactly as I had found it. “How dare he say no? How dare he?!”


I go downstairs to find an about-to-combust Michael pacing the hallway. I pick up his coat and keys. “Problem?”


He stops in surprise. “What are you doing in? I thought you were marking in the university tonight.”


“I finished early. What’s got your nerves pulsating?”


“B...Justin! Justin is being totally unreasonable!” 


“Because?” I try to stop his resumed pacing. “Michael, please explain.”


“You know that Brian is having the loft refitted, and Justin is so busy with his artsy fartsy stuff...”


“Yes. You have mentioned the loft refit once or twice.” He frowns slightly at my tone. He has done nothing but complain that Brian is ruining the character of the loft now that Justin is using it as a base when he’s too lazy to go back to their big mansion! “What of it?”


“Well, I thought I could keep an eye on the loft for them. You know, stay there whilst it is being done...what’s that look for?”


“I can understand you wanting to check it for them…”


“Him.” He sniffs.


“Them.” I repeat. “But why would you stay there?”


“It would only be during the week, and…”


“Michael, Justin would not be happy about you staying in the loft when neither of them are there. It is his home too, unless you hadn’t noticed…”


“Oh, I had noticed.” He bites out. “It’s just…” He looks at his watch. “...actually, let’s jump into the shower real quick. I need to speak to Ma, you don’t need to come. I can meet you in Mako’s, my treat!” He dashes upstairs. 


“What are you treating me to...” I ask, then my phone rings. “Let me get rid of them, won’t be long!” I call up to him, but he’s already in the bathroom. When I finish my call fifteen minutes later, he’s towelling himself off. 


“Come on, chop-chop, dinner waits for no man!” He grins, ushering me into the bathroom, before shutting the door behind me. 


Thirty minutes later, I am making my way to Mako’s, completely confused by his turn in mood.


MAKO’S - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


I look at my watch, almost tempted to phone him or Debs to find out where he is, when he comes striding in. Seems like he is in a bad mood again!


“You okay?” As he sits down, I reach for his hand, he folds his arms. “Do you want to go home instead?”


“No, but am now not in the mood for here! Let's go to Woody’s!” Without waiting for me, he flounces out. I pay for my beer and run after him. “Michael…” I begin when I catch up with him. “...Michael, what's going on now?!” I pull him to a stop. He glares before yanking his arm away. “Just found out something really annoying!”


“Clearly! What is it?”


“He asked my Ma to oversee the refit!”


“You’ve always said that she is like a mother to him, why should Brian asking her to do that get this reaction?!”


“Brian didn’t, Justin did! I need a drink! Are you coming or not?!” The rest of the walk is in angry silence.


WOODY’S - TEN MINUTES LATER


BEN


He is brooding in a booth whilst I am at the bar. “Hey, Professor!” Brian’s tired voice reaches me. “By your lonesome?”


“No, Michael is over there. Sulking. Is Justin with you?” 


“Yeah, just in the bathroom. Why?” He frowns at my heavy sigh.


“Michael is annoyed with him over the refit. What do you two want to drink?”


“Refit? What does that have to do with Michael? Double Beams, please.” 


“And some fries!” Justin appears. “Large portion.”


“Okay, go sit down. You look…”


“Not without you.” Justin murmurs, cutting his eye at Michael, then getting on my other side, as if he is hiding. 


I notice that Michael lights up when he sees Brian. His smile gets wider as we approach the table with the drinks. It shatters into a million pieces when he sees Justin. 


“Oh, now what?!” Brian sighs.


“Nothing!” Michael replies. “Just tired!”


I have had enough of his mood switches. “It is not nothing, Brian. Michael asked Justin if he could oversee the loft refit. Not sure why he wanted to actually stay overnight, but Justin said n. Besides, as it turns out, Justin had asked Debs to do it.”


“So what’s wrong with that? We’re going to be away, we need someone to look after it. And…”


“And why not his mother? Why mine?!” Michael retorts.


“Because Jennifer is busy…” Brian begins.


“And why not me?!” Michael interrupts.


“Because this will involve you having a key, and I don't want you to have one! I have loved every second that you couldn't come and go as you pleased!” Justin’s bellow silences the bar. “That is our home, not your ‘toy room’ to live out fantasies of you and Brian going at it on the legendary bed, which, by the way, has been replaced, like you, a long time ago!”


“I have not been…”


“Yes you have!” Brian declares before knocking back his drink. “Just as I should’ve been replaced by Ben. And my sunshine is right, as usual, it has been great. I never knew how much I hated it until you weren’t able to do it anymore!”


Michael blinks rapidly before pushing past us all and storming out. “I should…”


“Sit down and have some fries.” Justin orders as they arrive. I waver for one second, then sit down. “A sheep as well as a lamb?”


“Hmmm. No, I think this is more being hung for a cow as well as a calf.” I reply.


NOVOTNY-BRUCKNER HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


BEDROOM


I sigh as I read the angry note from Michael, which he taped to the dresser mirror. He accuses me of being treacherous in revealing what was wrong, callous in not standing up to Justin for him, and wonders if he made the right choice marrying me! I am tempted to screw the note up when I notice his sock drawer is slightly open. Upon checking it, the box is gone…

End of flashback


BEN


“So, after that night, it was the start of the month of the big sulk. Everyone was suffering as you went from house to house, trying to get people to see your side, but they weren’t, were they, Novotny? Not even 3V agreed with you, but then again she was too busy screwing around to pay attention, living up to Brian’s long dead mantra of getting his needs met. Our anniversary came and went with no sign of the rings. The loft was finished, and a fragile accord was reached. We had a loft warming party, do you remember?” Everyone nods, all still a bit confused. “Then I got sick, really ill. I’m sure you all remember it was touch and go. During that time, I hardly saw you, my husband rarely visited my side. In fact, Justin visited more whilst Brian looked after you. But I rallied. I was surprised to find, two weeks after my discharge, the rings were back, but another month later, the break in happened.”


“If I could stop you there, Ben, please?” Carl asks. I nod and he pulls out my old phone, again in an evidence bag. “And that was because of this…”


CARL


I look at my watch. Whilst I was outside with Ben, I got a call to say that they had located the garage. A CSI had gone with Miller, but it would take another couple of hours to go over it. Thankfully, they had everything they needed in the CSI Mobile Unit to compare onsite.


“So, it was this call that Ben recorded and him remembering your reaction which started the beginning of the end for you…”


All the time that Ben has been talking, Novotny has been silent. His furious and jealous gaze never leaving the rings. 


“Ready?” I look at my two boys, relieved that this is soon to be over for them. “I don’t want anybody to say anything whilst this plays, alright…” All bar two nod. “Good morning, this is Tiffany’s calling for Michael Novotny-Brucker. We just want to confirm that you want to change the dates on both rings to say ‘met in 1985’, and the married date to be left blank. And the words ‘my sunshine’ on the smaller ring overlaid? If you can confirm that, and also bring in the receipt, as we can't do the inscription changes without it, that would be great.” I switch it off, and, putting on gloves, take the rings out of the box, then take out the piece of paper. I hand it to Brian. “Can you tell me what that is?”


“Oh my God, the receipt!” He exclaims. “I remember now I put it in there because I wanted to see if you were happy with ‘sunshine’, I wanted to put ‘twot’ instead!”


“And it is dated 2001, which is the year of the Prom. 1985 was when you first met Brian. You, Novotny, stole them in 2001, and, as Ben said, broke in.” I smile at Ben. “The floor is yours.”


“Thanks, Carl.” Ben returns. “You see, when we were arguing at Woody’s, and Brian agreed with Justin about the keys, your expression when he said ‘my sunshine’ was filled with such hatred, much like now, that at the time I thought I imagined it. And it was during one Sunday lunch after the loft was turned over that I heard something interesting. Debs was given another set of keys for emergencies, Justin insisted. And that’s how the break in happened…”


“He broke into the loft to put the ring back, but that doesn't make sense. I mean, it does, but it doesn’t.” Blake frowns.


“No, you are all misunderstanding…” Ben smiles at Blake before looking Novotny dead in the eye. “...the loft break in wasn’t him, but the one at the diner was. Debs kept them there because, as she told Gus when they were washing up after dinner, she thought he would try and get them if she left them at the house.”


“This, um, doesn’t actually prove that he stole the rings.” Mel sighs, he looks relieved. 


“Yes it does…” I crow. “...first because he said loft, nobody said where they were taken from. And secondly, this was not the first time he went to Tiffany’s! He went three years before, in 2012, when Brian and Justin were going through that rough patch and briefly split. Again, it was because he was spending so much time weeping on Brian’s shoulder whilst Ben was ill. Justin could only take so much.” I take out another piece of paper. “And this is the record of that order.”


“So…” Mel turns to Novotny. “...get yourself out of that!”

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

Desperate Deflection and Deliberate Diversions by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 14 - DESPERATE DEFLECTION AND DELIBERATE DIVERSIONS


MICHAEL


My head is spinning, my heart pounding, my hands cold and clammy at the same time. All eyes are on me as I try to formulate a response.


“What do you mean you are having sex?! You are only 14!” I explode. “This is your doing, your influence!” I scream at Boy Wonder. “You should be arrested for corrupting a minor! Who is it?! Who is the person defiling my daughter?!”


“Not going to work.” Brian drawls. “She takes after you in that respect, but she only does it occasionally. You do it all the time. It’s second nature to you...”


“Yeah, we’ve been working on a reward system.” Gus laughs. “So, when she goes to but stops herself, she gets $10, but if she doesn’t, she loses $20. On this occasion though, I think we can let that one slide, don’t you Mom?”


“Yes, definitely, and the thing Brian is talking about is deflection. She’s not having sex, she has never walked in on them, as they never have sex at our house, it is always here. Plain and very simple, she just wanted to stay and listen.” Mel nods at the phone. “May I see the order form, and can you play that again for me, please, Carl?”


“Yeah, here...” He slides the phone across and presses play. Nobody says a word, and the silence stretches on after the message ends. “Mel?”


“Is it date and time stamped?” She asks. “And how did you get the copy of order?”


“Yes, it is dated two months after the order was placed, and we got it because Ben called them back and pretended to be him…”


“Yeah…” Ben snickers. “...all those times that you’ve whined, screamed and shouted, I managed to hone it perfectly. I called up and demanded that they gave it back to my representative...which was, again, me. The assistant, when I explained the reason for the cancellation, was most sympathetic…”


“Which was?” Mel sniggers whilst sliding the form back to Carl, who keeps a close eye on me.


“Take it, I dare you!” He taunts me. 


“That we were getting divorced, which is entirely true…”


“What?!” I shout. “They should not have given it to you! They had no right!” 


“Bingo!” Boy Wonder yells. “At least we can have you arrested for those!” 


“What? What do you mean?” I frown, trying to get my thoughts in order. “And I didn’t break into the diner on election night either!”


“Well you’ve just confirmed that you placed the orders.” Ma’s voice is cold. “And you're right, you didn’t break into the diner on election night. You walked in…”


“Walked? What the fuck are you prattling on about?! None of this is…”


“And I suspect you made it look like there had been a break in, when you couldn’t find the loft keys.”


“Debs?” Mel frowns.


“It makes perfect sense now. You must have them.” 


“Them? What them?” Carl asks.


“The spare diner keys. I couldn’t find them before the break ins, hunted high and low. So after that, we just got new keys cut…”


“Can you remember what they looked like, Honey?” Carl is smirking again.


“Not really, sorry, but it’s the only way it could’ve happened. The loft was an opportunity. Someone took a chance, and to this day have not been caught. 


“Fitson, call Miller and tell him to take photos of what he has, and send them to me immediately!” 


“Yes sir!” She replies, the room goes quiet as she makes the call. When she hangs up, she smiles.


I look around the room. I don’t know why they are smiling so much. So I have the keys, that proves nothing! But wait, what does he mean, what he has? Who’s Miller, and what does he have? I need to get to my bag!


“He will send it to you in five minutes, they should be…”


“That’s great!” Carl interrupts, I stare hard at him. He stares back, but there is something.


“I need to use the bathroom.” I announce.


“I’ll go with you.” Ben rises. “It’s not as if I've not seen it before, but much bigger and much better come to think of it.” I freeze. “What? I have, but unlike you have felt it! Felt so good.” 


“Will you stop crowing?! So what, you and him fucked! He fucks all the time! Indiscriminately!”


“But still not with you, despite your efforts!” Ma snaps back.


“Ladies first!” Jenny Rebecca snaps, Lindsay and I glower at her, she glowers back. “Want me to piss on your shoes?”


“You seem to forget that I am your father!”


“Oh no, that will forever be a source of shame!” She bitches, before heading to the door. “Oh, Mom, what’s that in there?” She demands, taking her glass before she can look and heading out. “Oh for fuck sake, who put that there?!”


JAY-RAY


I smirk at the massive wine stain on his oh-so-precious bag which 'his best friend got him on his return from heartbreak’. 


“What the hell have you done?!” Novotny shrieks as he grabs his bag. “What’s good for getting wine out of suede?!” He bellows over his shoulder, rushing to the kitchen. I say nothing, just follow him in, trying not to snicker as he uses hot water to rinse the bag, knowing that it is going to set the stain. “Can you go and check, since your clumsiness caused this?!”


“Of course.” I drawl over my shoulder whilst sauntering out.


MICHAEL 


I follow her to see that she’s actually going into the lounge, sighing in relief when she closes the door behind her. Running back, I take out my keys, remove the diner one, and, with a smile, drop it down their waste disposal unit, savouring the thunk it makes as it hits the bottom. 


“You need to come back in and bring that with you!” Ben orders from the doorway. 


“But I need to clean the wine your daughter spilt on it!” I snarl, still smarting from their taunting words earlier.


“You heard Mr Bruckner!” Officer Fitson steps from behind him. 


“Fine! Let’s continue this farce. Mark my words, I will be taking you for everything cent you have in the divorce!” 


“Why not? After all, you’ve taken everything else! You first!” Ben growls as I stalk back to the lounge.


DINING ROOM - A MINUTE LATER


“Give me the bag, Mr Novotny.” Carl holds out his hand. I grudgingly hand it over and retake my seat. “Would you recognise the keys after all this time, Honey?” 


“Yes, sweetheart.” His soon-to-be wife simpers! He puts the gloves on and starts to take things out of my bag. “How do you carry that around every day?!” She exclaims on seeing my keyring. “Show that to me!” He hands it to her, and I almost bite through my tongue with glee. Yes, they may have gotten the rings back, but the lack of key means they can’t put me there! “No…” She sighs. “...it’s not on there.”


“Told you so!” I snap. “So that is one so called fact debunked, Mrs Columbo! Let’s go back to the beginning and start with the rest!” She looks so outraged that I burst out laughing.


“And what is so funny?!” She exclaims.


“This! This started with your wild accusation that I tried to kill Justin, I will admit that I don’t like him, never have and never will, but I learned how to do this from you! Because you are the consummate button pusher, you have been pushing all your lost boys’ buttons for years, especially his!” I declare, pointing at Brian.


“What shit are you spouting?” Emmett sighs just as Columbo's phone beeps.


“She claims that I had the diner key and broke in. It is not on there!” I declare.


“Tell me, Mr Novotny, what are these?” Columbo turns his phone towards me.


“Keys. They are a picture of those.” I snark, pointing at my set.


“Thank you for confirming that.” He smiles. “Honey, look at these carefully. Recognise any of them?”


She takes his phone before swiping along in silence. “There! That one!” She suddenly cries.


“For crying out loud!” I bellow. “The key is not on there, and…”


“Yes, that’s true, it isn’t. That’s because you dumped it in the waste disposal unit.” Officer Fitson’s voice again makes me jump. “Is this the key?” She strides up to Mrs Columbo with a plastic bag. The key glints as she walks. I start to shake as she peers in the bag. “Is it?”


“Yes. That’s it.”


“So how was that in the disposal unit, when you have just confirmed that this is a picture of your keys?” Ben demands. I swallow down vomit and sway. “Why don’t I save that rabid rat from gnawing on your stem to conjure up another lie.”


“Rabid rat…” I reach for my glass. “...I don’t…”


“Those are not your keys.” He gestures at Columbo’s phone. “As evidenced by them being here. Those are my keys. Remember you insisted that I have a copy of every key that you have. And I gave them to Carl…”


“Why would give them to him?” I am sweating profusely and my stomach is broiling.


“So he could…”


“They're done.” Columbo interrupts. “And on their way back.” 


“Who is done. Back from where?” I demand. Nobody says anything then the doorbell rings. 


“That will be for me!” Mel beams heading to answer it. There is murmuring before she comes back in with a distinguished looking gentleman. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is Judge Roy Russo. He has been listening to every second of this. Your Honour.” 


“Thank you, Counsel.” He smiles at her. “So as I’ve heard it, we have Lindsay Peterson for evidence tampering, fleeing the scene, and resisting arrest; and Michael Novotny for breaking and entering into the loft of Brian Aiden Kinney, theft of two rings from said loft, breaking into the Liberty Avenue Diner, and, for now, obstruction of justice. My, what a tally!”


“I did not break into the loft or the diner!” I scream.


“On the nights that these events took place, did you advise the home and business owners that you were going to be entering the building?” He glares at me.


“I had keys! I didn’t need to tell them! Having keys, with their permission, means I could and would use them!”


“But you never had permission for the diner keys.” Ben smirks. “And Brian has always, always, said that the loft keys were to be used for emergencies only.  But he always forgave you when he found you in there without him, always had and always will!”


“Yes, he always forgives me. No matter what, he always forgives me.” I whisper.


“Not this time.” Ben sneers. “They found it. The final piece, they found it.”


“What?!”

 

“The car.” Columbo sits back in his chair grinning. “And, more importantly, the bat!”

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

For Whom The Bell Tolls by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 15 - FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS


JUDGE RUSSO


I look at this execrable thing in front of me and think back to a few hours ago when my phone buzzed whilst at dinner with Theresa, my wife. I was perplexed as to why Melanie Marcus, would be calling me of all people, given our tempestuous court relationship. For the first few minutes, I could not understand what was being said, but then I realised what was happening. She was trying to get me to listen to the confrontation of the attempted killer of Justin Taylor and had to excuse myself.


Like everyone, I was appalled at how little was done to find the perpetrator, and as I listened, my anger rose as much heart broke…


Start of flashback

JUDGE RUSSO’S HOUSE - FOUR HOURS PRIOR


HALLWAY


JUDGE RUSSO


“Roy, for fuck sake…” Theresa begins, then sees my expression. “...what is it?” She whispers. “Put it on speaker.”


“...However, you told Ted, and he told Mel in this email that you got all of your deposit back for having left a spick and span apartment…”


“Who’s that?” Theresa asks.


“Detective Horvath of the 57th.” I reply. “Now I want you to hit record and keep that phone on charge, I am going to the office to get the papers I suspect we will need…”


“We are going to the office, there is a charger in your car. Dinner can wait!”

End of flashback


“Detective Horvath, how long until they get back here?” I smile at him. We have been in court many times. As well as being very thorough, I have a lot of respect for him.


“About an hour, Your Honour.” He replies. Novotny looks at Officer Fitson before shifting in his seat. “I think…”


“That he can be allowed to go.” There are astonished gasps. “I mean it, take your stuff and leave!”


“Is this a joke?! Are you serious?!” He jumps up, then snatches up his bag and keys. He strides to the door before pausing to snicker. “A judge didn’t believe this shit...I am going to sue you for defamation of character amongst many other things! Can you arrange for the rest of my belongings to be sent to me, Your Honour?” His smile is so obsequious, so I return it with equal vigor. “Thank you, see you lot of assholes in court!” 


After he slams the door behind him, all eyes turn to me, Mel’s blazing fiercely. I shake my head and smile, her jaw drops. “Yes, Ms Marcus, I brought back up. Officer Fitson, could you return the prisoner to his seat?!” I chuckle as she starts to sprint out. “Officer, maybe take that one with you!”


“Oh yes, get up, you’re done here!” She hauls Peterson to her feet, who is wisely silent and unresisting. “Where are they being taken for processing, Your Honour?” 


“Where…” I begin just as the door opens. A shellshocked and handcuffed Novotny is led back in without his bag or keys. “...ah, thank you, Officer, could you take that, please? I suspect you would rather be here, Officer Fitson?” She gapes before nodding. I smile as the door closes behind Peterson. “As I asked before, return him to his seat!”


MICHAEL


I am cold, so very cold all over. And my knee is starting to ache again.


“For the confused amongst you…” Judge Russo begins. “...due process had to be followed. So we have another 45 minutes till they arrive. Actually, move him to the corner. He has no right to sit at this table.”


“Thank you, Your Honour.” I glare at the person who took away my best friend, my family, friends, sanity, and now, my freedom. “So what happens next? Does the evidence stand? It’s not as if he’s going to tell us what happened after he tried to kill me, is he?”


“Yes, it does, so why waste the energy trying to get it out of him?  Now, judging by that box, someone is getting married! Who is it?!”


“Brian and me.” He smirks.


“Oh, that is the perfect end, so let’s talk about that!” 


“It’s hurting isn’t it?” Officer Fitson’s sneer stops my rubbing. “There is a cop on the other side, you can try, but you won’t get far!” Fitson hisses before going to sit down. 


Everyone has their back to me. I am still looking at the door when I hear the words from Sonny Boy Jnr that tear my soul asunder. “Come on, Pops, Papa, put your rings on! Are you going to use the wedding ones from…”


“Before? No.” I feel the heat of Brian’s hatred. “They will be destroyed. Justin and I will design new ones together.”


I look at the floor, tears pouring down my face, wishing I could go back in time and hit him harder. My knee feels like it is on fire, my stomach burbles and I am taken back to that night…


Start of flashback

MICHAEL’S GARAGE - PROM NIGHT - FIFTEEN YEARS AGO


MICHAEL


I'm almost biting through the steering wheel, I am in so much pain! I can't believe he did that! He tried to protect him! Him! That waste of spunk! I reach into the compartment and almost sob in relief! There is one advantage of being the best friend of the Stud of Liberty Avenue, which is the residuals from his benders! I try and keep my leg still as I tip out a few pills, ‘take these and you feel nothing’ is what I remember him saying once about the blue ones, so I take three of them and wait.


Ten minutes later, I gingerly touch my knee and it is not too bad. I pick up the bat, which I had been using to help me push the gas pedal, and toss it in the back. Slowly, I get out of the car, scowling at the mess inside, once again the fault of Spunkboy! Brian and I picked this together, then found the garage to keep it safe, but since Spunkboy arrived, he’s not visited. I took ages building the bar for just the two of us. When he first saw it, he promised not to tell anyone about it. I slam the door and hobble to the stool. I am about to pour a drink when my phone flashes, it’s David. 


“Fuck!” I exclaim when I see the time. Looking around, I spot the jeans I brought to wear ahead of our last hurrah drive, again, just the two of us. I spent ages getting the car perfect, but again Spunkboy got in the way! 


I inch the bloodstained jeans off, before cutting them up to make kind of strapping for my knee. David keeps calling and calling, but I can get back to him. First, I need to get back to my apartment, as I realise I left my ticket in the security box downstairs! 


“Finally…” I bitch as he lets up and I can call a cab. “...okay, ten minutes, got it.” I smile and hobble around to get the bottle of Beam. I take a swig before slamming it down. “For fuck sake, David!” I snarl, but it is not him, it is Brian. With a grin, I send it to voicemail. 


AN HOUR LATER


I have got my ticket and am on my way to the airport. Brian hasn’t called back since, most likely, drowning in grief, but as I settle back in the seat, ready for my new life, all I can think is, how do I explain my injury?!


PLANE TO PORTLAND


“Honest, David, I will be fine. It’s most likely just badly bruised, I did land very hard.” I reassure him, as I drift off to sleep with the combination of booze, the blue pills plus the painkillers they gave me, I think, oh yes! A home run indeed!

End of flashback


“I did not!” David’s yell startles me. “Jesus, you just are unbelievable!”


“What?!” I snivel. I am met with cold, hate-filled looks. “Why him, Brian?! Why did you have to become more perfect for him and not me?!” 


“I am not fucking perfect! But unlike you, he accepted it then and does now!” 


“I just wanted it to be us again, the gang, not him, never him!” 


“You were moving to Portland!” Spunkboy shouts. “How did you plan to get back to the Pitts to comfort your best friend whilst he was grieving for the loss of the only love of his life?”


Brian gasps before blushing. “When did you hear me say that?!”


“When you met me at the loft after you gave me your keys. It was in the morning, you left me in bed before going to work. You thought I was still asleep and touched my hair, before whispering that I would be the only love of your life because I made you want to tear up the rulebook, nobody else had and nobody else will!”


Before I can say anything the door opens and an Officer steps in. “Unit’s here.”


Judge Russo stands up. “Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor, could you follow this Officer so that we can take your prints and blood sample respectively please?”


“With pleasure.” Brian replies before they both leave. The silence envelopes me like a tomb.


“How long will it take?” I whisper, but nobody answers.

 

End Notes:

Please be kinid adn constructive if reviewing. Thanks.

The Truth Begins To Come Out by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

This is a big chapter....the end is not pretty

CHAPTER 16 - THE TRUTH BEGINS TO COME OUT


CSI MOBILE UNIT


JUSTIN


I keep my focus on my breathing, whilst they take my blood. Listening to my breathing is helping me not look ‘over there’.


“Don’t fight it, remember?” Brian whispers. “I don’t want to either, but....”


“It's all too real. Is it weird I feel that?” I search his face, he rests our foreheads together.


“Nope. We never ever thought we would...let alone who it was.”


“Okay, we are all done. Just need your fingerprints, Mr Kinney, then you both can go back inside.” The Officer smiles kindly. He takes his prints in silence, then goes to the table where another officer is waiting. They confer for a few minutes, and a CSI joins him.


“Is that the pipe he hit Novotny with?” I ask surprising myself. 


“Yes, Mr Taylor, and on behalf of the Pittsburgh Police Department, I am sorry you had to wait this long for justice. My name is Jason, Jason Kemp.” I shake his hand, and Brian does the same, but Jason holds on a few seconds longer. “You don’t remember me, do you?” The unit goes quiet. “I was in Babylon about four years ago, and you took me home…” I look at Brian because we most definitely have not discussed that! “...no! Nothing like that! Nobody but him would try to come between the two of you! I meant as in he made sure I got home, to my home where I was living at the time!” 


Brian stares at him before slowly nodding. “Go-go Boy, you remember me telling you about the kid who was being followed by the Pink Posse, right? You know, to make sure he got home safely.”


“Ugh, those creeps!” I blench. “So glad they have been shown to be who they were!” 


“Let us get you safely through the mean streets of Pittsburgh, and then you show us gratitude.” Brian scrubs his face, then looks at me, unblinking. “I am going to kill him!”


DINING ROOM - TWO MINUTES LATER


JUDGE RUSSO


“STOP! MR KINNEY! STOP!” I scream as Brian rushes in and immediately tries to get to Novotny. “What is this about?!” When he lit out of the unit, Kemp followed. Thankfully, he managed to get between him and Novotny. “Someone explain!”


“When did you know?!” Brian roars. “How did you know?!”


“Brian?! What is it?! What did he know?!” Carl demands.


“That we are monogamous! You didn’t even flinch when I said it, so you knew!” 


I watch Novotny’s eyes flash, then briefly rest on his bag. “Give me that!” I yell, pointing at it. “Sit down!” I bellow at Novotny. I put on the proffered-by-Fitson gloves, then tip the bag on the floor, I see nothing, but then feel around and there is something. I turn the bag inside out, and spot a tear in the lining. I find an envelope with two letters addressed to each of them. I read them in silence. “These are second stage results for sexual health, all clear for Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor. They are dated five years ago.”


“Justin, do you remember when the Pink Posse was at the height of their powers?”  Brian growls, he has Novotny pinned to the seat just by looking at him. “Do you?”


“Uh, yeah.” Justin replies, getting in Brian’s eye line. “Look at me. Brian, I said, look at me.” It takes almost a minute for his focus to shift back to Justin. Everyone relaxes a bit when it does. “At first they were seen as the Guardian Angels, and everyone looked up to them, but then word started to get around, especially about Reikert and Bell.”


“Uh huh, and remember that show you had in West Virginia which clashed with the sudden trip to P-Town, which Michael arranged for just us besties as a surprise?”


“Yeah.” Justin frowns.


“Some of them were there.” Brian’s gaze goes back to Novotny. “There was one, oh what was his name? Can't remember now, but he was everywhere. I could not move without seeing this guy watching me like a hawk. Like you said, they were creepy, but he was extra creepy, and Novotny kept bigging him up, saying what a cutie he was, and how he wouldn't tell if I was to bring the Stud out for an evening.”


“What did he look like?” Kemp asks. “The guy you are talking about?”


Brian snorts, then points at Justin. “A fucked up version of him.”


“Dirty blonde and stocky? Acted like Bell’s second in command? Is that who you mean? If so, he is Christopher Hobbs.” Fitson explains and Brian nods. “Can’t reconcile the guy now to the guy back then. He was repugnant and…”


“Jesus, you are one jealous fucker!” Ben explodes. “Judge Russo, what are the dates of those letters, and are they originals?”


I peruse the papers. “15th February for both of them, and no, they are copies.” 


“So the trip was on the 25 February, and Brian, you were home on 1 March, correct?” Ben asks, Brian nods.


“I am not following.” I look around, glad to see that I am not the only one!


“That’s the one day he always messed with. The night we met, which was the 28 February, which was also the year after the leap year.” Justin turns his gaze on Novotny. “The year we decided to be monogamous was the year after the leap year, and this year, the year I finally said yes is the year after the leap year.”


“And…” I press.


“Brian is, to those who really know him, an easy read. My gorgeous creature of habit prefers odd numbers, says even ones are too structured; this from the most structured guy in the world. So, five years after we first met, he sent me off to conquer the art world, five years later I came back for good and asked for a commitment and a promise. When did you tell him?” 


“I didn’t, he must have found them and taken copies. Just why? Why would you want me to do that? I just don’t get you!”


“He wanted you to have sex with this Hobbs person?” I look around the room again.


“He didn’t want Brian to fuck Hobbs.” Ben sighs. “He wanted Brian to kiss Hobbs, then he would casually drop it in a conversation that this is what he did, knowing what a shit...”


“Kiss him?” Mel frowns. “Why would he want him to kiss him, Ben? Surely fucking him would be worse?”


“Fucking is just that it’s fucking. It means nothing. it is basic, primeval, and I know that because we make love every time and have done since the day we met. He can fuck anyone, well almost, but he can’t do that with kissing. Yes like fucking, he has to find someone to kiss, but unlike fucking, where it is find a hole thrust and done, to me kissing is different, and he understands that. He understands that it is too personal, emotional, but more importantly ‘ours’. That is our thing, we only kiss each other, so I asked that he never kiss anyone on the mouth, in that way, but me. He promised he wouldn’t; but then he took it a bit further…”


“And stopped kissing him.” Ben jabs at Novotny. “I remember when it happened in public. We were in the diner, about six months after the P-Town trip, Brian had been away, but he wasn’t alone...”


Start of flashback

DINER - FIVE YEARS PRIOR


BEN


“Michael, you are going to get whiplash.” Lindsay teases, as again he looks up when the bell above the door goes, but it’s not Brian. “Brian said he’ll be here at 1130, it’s not even 1100 yet, so…”


“We haven’t seen him in ages!” Michael sighs. “What with him being the ‘muse’ to Justin, and Kinnetic, he seems to have forgotten that he has friends!”


“Um, haven’t you been away for the last two weeks? With your husband? On your second honeymoon romping through every room.” Mel reminds him. “What is the diff…”


“There is a difference because there is! This is the Stud of Liberty Avenue and…”


“Retired!” Someone shouts out.


“He has not retired, he is on a break!” Michael shouts before glaring our snickering into silence. “Besides it is different. I don’t cut off all communication when I am away from my friends and family! I check in when I can. Never thought I would say this, but he could learn a thing or two about that from Justin. He has at least kept in touch, albeit with a select few.”


“Have you thought it’s because they want to be alone?” Kiki declares as she leans against the booth. “They are both so busy, as you have pointed out, so when they are together, they want to be together with no distractions, and….”


“I am not a distraction! I am his best friend…what do you mean together? I thought that Justin wasn’t in the States.”


“Not at the beginning, no, but he joined him.” I explain for the fourth time, yes the fourth because he really doesn’t want to take it on board...again. “Since they missed out because of your surprise trip, they are on what to them is their...” 


“They are not on their honeymoon! They’re not even married!” Michael snipes.


“I was going to say anniversary, not honey…”


“He does have a point.” Lindsay pipes up, sipping her tea in a way that almost has me wanting to throw it in her face. “Look…” She begins as she checks her watch then her phone. “...I have to go. Say hi to Brian when he gets here.” She gathers her things and is gone. Mel and JR exchange looks, then shrug.


“Oh, maybe that’s what they’re doing!” JR gasps. “It’s the year after leap year after all!”


“Year after leap...what are you talking about, JR? And besides, Brian would not get married without two of his closest and dearest friends being present!” Michael asserts. I hope he doesn’t spot the grimace that briefly crosses Mel’s face...we are dealing with enought right now. “No...no, of course he wouldn’t!” Michael continues. “Well, at least he’s going to be here soon.” I look up as the bell going brings in Justin, who is smiling as he approaches. “You’re back. How was wherever you were?” Michael asks whilst mimicking Lindsey's tea sipping action...if only, on this occasion, he would mimic the leaving action too!


“Hey, Ben, Mel...and JR! I didn’t know you were going to be...oof!” Justin staggers back as JR launches herself into his arms and hugs him tightly. “Unhand me! Mel! Ben, help! Has she been lifting weights?!” Kiki and I get up and unclamp JR from Justin, who gingerly stretches out. “No broken bones, thank goodness! Now shift along.” He orders.


“Sit next to me, Uncle Justin, please!”


“Oh, alright, I suppose so!” He sighs. “Kiki, could you?”


“Of course!” She grins. I follow suit when JR immediately links arms with him, and he pinches a fry from her plate. “You know, only you and Brian get to do that. Anyone else tries, and they get forked.”


“This is very true! Think you still have the marks, don’t you, Michael?” Mel laughs whilst he grimaces.


“I was not amused by her brutishness.” Michael glowers.


“We were! Ihink Brian laughed the hardest!” I snort.


“Did you ever get him to kiss your boo boo better?” Mel taunts him. “So, uh, Justin, how was the show?” Mel swiftly changes the subject when Michael starts to inspect his forked finger.


“Great! Glad it was short, and…”


“I’m fine, thanks for asking.” Michael snipes.


“As am I.” Justin returns before turning to Mel and handing her an envelope. “Can you return this to Lindsay? As we said, it’s our weekend with him, so she can have this back.”


“What’s that, Uncle Justin?” JR asks.


“Spending money for his trip in Maine.” Justin explains. “And despite what we’ve said, I know that Debs and Carl are going to treat him, and…”


“Wait! Wait a second! What’s this about Maine?” Michael puts his cup down slowly as he speaks. “And how come JR isn’t invited?”


“Like he said. It’s his weekend with his fathers coming up, and they’re going to be in Maine as Justin has another small retrospective. As for JR…”


“I never go on their weekends, Dad. Why would I go…”


“That’s when it's his weekend here or in Canada. This is another state, that’s not fair!” Michael bleats.


I shake my head as an exasperated, verging-on-getting-pissed Justin tries not to react. Time to intervene...again. “Michael, what happens on the weekends with his fathers, no matter where those weekends are, is their business. Would you be so insistent if it were the other way around?”


“We don’t have the cash to splash that Brian does and…”


“We could if we dipped into the emergency account.” I interject.


“That is for emergencies and…”


“So you’ve put the money back in that you took out for the Superman action figures then, which was six months ago around the same time you took the money out for P-Town?” He goes red and quiet whilst I pull out my phone, I check the account and glare at him. 


“I am going to put it back, I just keep forgetting.” He protests.


“Well since it’s nice and fresh in your memory you can do it now can't you?” I enjoy his squirming! 


“Actually Michael don’t do that.” Mel smiles then turns to me. “Well, how much is it?”


I do some quick adding up in my head. “$2094 or thereabouts, why?” 


She tears open the envelope and counts out $2K, Jenny and her exchange looks as there is still some in there. “I will wire you the rest Ben, then you, Michael, can add that to the support you pay over the next few months, which I will ensure you do willingly or otherwise.”


“Yes, yes of course. But back to Maine. If Ma and Carl are going, why can’t me and Ben go too?” Michael argues. “I am sure that…”


“Don’t you mean JR should go? Kiki interrupts. “She is the one missing out remember?”


“I...Brian!” He screeches, and almost to a one in the diner we all flinch. “You’re back! Long time no see, how was Newport? Ben, can you move…”


“Oh so very quiet. The only sounds were the wind in the reeds, the sea rushing in and out and hmmm….someone cursing up a storm because he…”


“Brian!” Justin shrieks.


“What? I was merely going to say someone dropped his phone in the sea, then queened for four hours whilst we got it dried out. Thank God for Sherlock and rice! Now let me explain Mikey. In the series Sherlock, think to was the first one, the killer, dried out his waterlogged phone by putting it in a bag of rice. We tried that it worked. You want some coffee, Brat?” Justin nods, then grins when Kiki gets up to get it. “Has extra cream.” He smirks, Justin flicks him the bird. “As you can tell by my tan, it was very sunny, and we spent most of the days outside on our private beach once someone was slathered in cream, sadly only on the outside.”


“Brian!” Justin growls.


“So he was slathered in cream and I take it you weren’t wearing any clothes?” I laugh, having caught sight of his chest as he gave Kiki the coffee. I pinch my nose as Michael starts to force me out of the booth. “You need to go where exactly?”


“Where else, and why else would I want you to move? Now hurry up before I piss myself!” He rushes to the bathroom. Again, Mel and I exchange looks. He’s fooling nobody but himself if he thinks anyone believes that ‘bathroom break’. It is nothing but a ruse to get to Brian. “Oh, that's better!” He exclaims as he returns, but instead of sitting down, leans against the counter, then joins Brian on the other side, just like I knew he would. He taps Brian on the arm. “Aren’t you going to say hello?”


“Sure, hi, Mikey.” Brian responds. I know I shouldn't but I enjoy the falling of Michael’s face when Brian goes for a lemon bar, thereby leaving him stranded. “How was the second honeymoon, Ben? And you are correct not a stitch. Which was fine on the first day, not so much on the second. But like I said, he was covered in cream so that helped...do you want one?”


“Yes, I would like a lemon bar, and stop talking about sunburn!” Justin exclaims, going red. 


“Sunburn?!” Michael dashes up to him and starts tugging on his tee, only for Brian to bat him away. “Did you put on ointment?! Despite appearances, Justin, his skin is very delicate! Come on, Brian, let me check you over!”


“Michael! I am fine! Anyways, it’s not my delicate skin that got sunburnt, and it is definitely not somewhere where anybody but me can check. Isn‘t that right, Sunshine?!”


“Brian, for crying out loud, shut up!” Justin pleads.


“Oh no, Kinney, come on and spill!” Ted calls out as he joins us. “Although I think I can guess what happened, judging by that walk earlier!”


“Earlier?” Michael echoes. “You went to Kinnetic first?”


“No…I went to see Ted. He was at the loft.”


“Ted? You went to see Ted before me?” Michael looks flabbergasted. “And he was in your loft? Why?”


“Because I had to collect the keys from him, and…”


“What keys?”


“The loft keys…”


“Why did he have the loft keys? I don’t and...”


“For fuck sake, you are not my husband and you never will be! Get a hold of yourself and save the questions for when Ben gives you a reason to ask them, not that he ever would! Christ, you sound more jealous than normal! I, like you when you are with Ben, don’t owe you an explanation as to what I do and where I do it when I am with Justin and it was him, not me, getting the inside of his thighs and his bubble butt sunburnt, which meant that I could not pile him into the beach, the sofa, the mattress, and against the shower wall. Although he hasn’t been squirming as much so I am thinking that the ‘cushion is fine for the pushing’?”


“Bri! Behave! Although I think you are right...” Ted laughs as Justin’s face flames. “Anyways, in your haste to test that theory you grabbed our keys. Not that we have a problem with you two using our loft, it wouldn't be the first time after all. But you know, the clean up after...”


“We are leaving now!” Justin declares after watching Brian finger the filling out the lemon bar before slowly licking them clean!


“It is always me eating food with you, don’t get it, but it works every time. Let’s go!” he then vaults over the counter and holds out his hand. Justin scrambles over the booth and they run out giggling.


“I will bring it…oh never mind!” Ted smiles and like most people he starts chuckling as they pause to make out against the window. Soon the diner settles down to its usual hum of chatter and clatter.


“Ted, are you staying?” I ask.


“For a bit. Let them get the first round done. As much as I love them, they tend to forget themselves, and since it’s only them and us in the building, anywhere will do! Also, what with Blake being in Sacramento, I would rather not hear or walk into the live show alone!”


“What are you bringing him? Whatever it is, give it to me and I can drop it off. And since when do you have keys to Brian’s loft?!” Michael rattles out as he retakes his seat. “And what does he mean I am jealous? You see what I mean about Justin saying things about me? I need to speak to…wait, how long have you had a loft in Brian’s building?!”


“You really need to work on the volume and listen when people other than Bri talk.” Ted bites back. “I have his phone. And before you screech, it was Bri’s idea. As for the lofts Blake and I have had them ever since Justin bought the building and gave us first refusal. Now I know why he calls us his last line of defence.”


“Justin bought the building?!” Mel gasps. “And by us you mean Blake, right?” She smirks.


“Speak English!” Michael orders who is as usual in his post Brian-fug and pulling out his keys to his home away from home.


“It means that you can get to the first floor, should someone let you into the building or you use that key, but you would get no further. Justin doesn’t say much, he’s what Blake calls a quiet assassin, and having seen that just now I am delighted to be on Team A.. You have a key to the street door, but not the loft, correct?” Michael nods. “He’s paying you back. For every bit of give and so much take, he’s paying you back, and knowing you the way I do now, I am going to take my post and wait for you to try!” Ted gives a mock salute and stalks out. “And when you call, like you did 287 times over five days, I won’t pick up!”


“Won’t pick up? Why do you have Brian’s phone?! Ted?!” Michael shouts but Ted ignores him. He sits down heavily. “The world has gone mad! First Brian biting my head off, and now Ted acting like some guard in a prison break movie!  And why didn’t you say anything, Ben?”


“About what? You behaving like you are the be all and end all of Brian’s life, and Brian correcting that mistake? He’s only said what everyone knows and can see. Justin is it, and your ‘say hello’ with the upturned face, was disrespectful to both Justin and me! Learn and listen...the no kissing anyone apart from Justin applies to you too! You invest too much in everything he does when it concerns you, but dismiss it when it concerns Justin. But now he’s shown it in the place where you feel safe, apart from Babylon, the place of your childhood, your sanctuary, what you held dear and thought to be yours and his that he honours Justin’s wishes not yours!” I stand up and put on my coat. “I am going home. You remember where that is, right, Michael?!”

End of flashback


JASON KEMP


Nobody isn’t saying anything, time for me to shine a light on the situation. “He was known as H-Man.” I state, and everyone looks at me. “Hobbs, that’s what his nickname was H-Man.”


“So?” Carl sighs. 


“H stood for Herpes, not Hobbs. Six years ago, he contracted herpes, and had it till he got clean three years later.”


“So, he wanted him to kiss him to give...oh, you are kidding?! Fitson gasps.


“All you had to do was kiss me, like you always did, but no, that stupid pathetic promise kicked in, and you stopped! How and why did that rule apply to me?! We have always kissed, since before him, and for you to stop, well it shows who was truly jealous!”


”Justin was never jealous of you!” Ben scoffs. “There’s no need to be. As has become clear over the years, you’re no longer Brian’s best friend. Justin became that as they got to know each other, and through Justin’s other friendships with all of us, well not you obviously, Brian began to see what the difference was. The difference between your idea of friendship and Justin’s. The difference between you getting him to do something and Justin’s. And that difference is that he asked, he asked, then explained his rationale behind it. He was not a bully, was not demanding, didn’t sulk or hark back to how much he owed him. So when Brian said yes, that oft said mantra bit you in the heart, Brian nevert...”


“I know he doesn’t do anything he doesn't want to do!! But I could always get him to change his mind eventually. Until he came along!” Novotny snarls at Ben, before turning to Brian. “Seriously, what is it with him?! Love can’t make you do all of that surely?!” Novotny screeches, pointing at Justin.


“It’s not just love. It’s also respect. He respects him. He wants to be the best that he can be for him. It is as simple as that!” Mel retorts. “And now I come to think of it, you wanted to be equal to Justin, but that would mean that Brian would have to respect you, and he doesn’t. I suspect he went along with what you wanted because he had permission. Think about it, how many times, no matter what it was, did you have to keep going on and on before he was ‘resigned to his fate’. Hundreds no thousands of times, but not before the look…” 


“The look, what are you rambling about?”


“Justin would roll his eyes, then and only then Brian would say yes to whatever it was.” Mel laughs there are knowing nods and smirks, he starts to go red. “And before you even try to enter it, your responsibilities weren’t diminished! The fact that you burnt the invite, but went to the hotel and waited for over three hours to see if he was there, shows pre-meditation, albeit it not for the attack, you went there to stop him being with him. You stole the rings and made efforts to get them changed and to return them, again illegally. The fact that you kept the evidence shows that you were basking in what you did. You held that over them.”


“Of course I did!” Novotny explodes. “It was the only thing I had! They were billing and cooing over how much they loved each other! After all those years of him fucking around, one night and BAM, he was in love! I knew it the moment I saw him in the loft the next day then he dropped him off at school. But I was sure that there was no way, after all this time, that he was going to do that, but he did. Slowly but surely he chipped away at those defences that I had spent years, freaking years, reinforcing and shoring up! He broke them down! Like you said, Mrs Columbo, that little persistent kid got through!” Novotny heaves in some breaths before standing up and pacing a few times. “I have it as a recording, not the actual hit of course, but I smashed the bat around the garage a couple of times, so I have that.”


“Thanks for the confirmation.” Miller smirks whilst Novotny stares at him. “We wondered where the now confirmed dried blood, again thank you, of Mr Taylor on the back door was from and how the bat got broken.” 


“Broken?” Ben echoes.

 

“Yeah.” Novotny sniggers. “I broke it against the door. I kept imaging it was his stupid little head!” 

End Notes:

If you review please be kind and constructive, thanks.

The Camera Never Lies by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 17 - THE CAMERA NEVER LIES


BRIAN


I want to be sick, but then I think back to all his ‘twitches’ as Justin called them. Ben was right, he would’ve ‘casually mentioned it’, knowing what would happen. But this...this, I can’t let him have the last word on.


“How you must have laughed over the years.” I state. “Everyone, sit back down, seems like this is his confessional time.”


“Laughed about what? Be specific, I laughed a lot.” He crows, I feel Justin’s grip tighten as we retake our seats. “And for those of you spouting about how much he loves him, have you noticed he doesn’t actually say it as much to him as he did to me? Maybe that’s because…”


“You kept asking him to say it, so he did to shut you up!” Justin sighs. “I know you don’t love me as much as you claim to love him, but you do love me, don’t you? Don’t you? It was like listening to a riff of Carly Simon’s You’re So Vain. How many times a week did we hear that, people? At least five times?”


“I loved getting him to say it, because you would always roll your eyes! I hoped one day they would get stuck there! So what specifically did I lie about?”


“Grape juice. You said it was grape juice on the door.” I reply, trying to keep from trembling. 


“Oh, that. Oops.” He smirks then puts  his feet on the radiator.


“Take your feet down.” Ted orders.


“Make me.” Novotny retorts, Ted rises. “Try, and I will have you arrested for assault. So I suggest, Mr Meth Head, you sit your stupid ass down instead.” The room goes quiet as everyone watches Ted. “Come on, you can sit, you’re nothing but Brian’s brown noser after all, and…”


“Is worth millions.” Novotny goes wide eyed. “Yep, I am a millionaire many times over, besides I don’t brown nose Brian or Justin. We work in a partnership, which, because of your jealousy, you refused to be part of...”


“What are you on about, Nose Boy?” He grumbles before slowly sitting upright.


“Shut up, you Troll! Can you come in, please?!” I am confused when Christian comes in with a smile and hands him an envelope. “Here it is, signed, sealed, delivered it’s yours!” Ted sings as he slides the envelope towards Ben.


“What is?” Ben frowns as he opens it. His jaw drops as he reads. “Are...are you kidding me? How?” He begins to cry, which causes Novotny to roll his eyes.


“We want you around for a long time.” Ted takes the tissue from Blake to blow his nose. “And the Timothy Ray Brown Foundation has agreed, having looked at your records, that you are a perfect candidate for the treatment that will hopefully eradicate your HIV.” The room is stunned for a few seconds before it erupts into cheers. People rush to hug Ben and Ted, who of course blushes harder before waving everyone away. “Please can everyone sit down?! You are a good man, Benjamin Bruckner. You have questionable taste in some men, but you are a good one. You deserve a chance, so this Nose Boy is paying for it. It was going to be an anniversary present, but now that you and it are separated, let’s call it a freedom present instead. And there is one more thing that I am oh so very happy to do.”


“Ted?” Justin questions.


“To add that to your woes, Troll...”


“Whatever you can bring to my table, I think murder, oh how good that sounds no matter how brief it was, beats anything don’t you?”


“True, it does. But you do realise as your accountant that I will have to show the prior years accounts of jerk@work.com to Ben‘s attorney, since that will have to be factored in the divorce? You know, as it was him who you got the money from as capital in the first place, but told him it was for your store.” Ted’s smile is lethal. “Oh don’t you remember telling me that during one drunken night?”


“When did you become his accountant?” Daph demands. “And what is whatever it is you said?” 


“I became their accountant almost four and half years ago, for the website that he and Ems...where is Ems?”


“Had to take a call.” Debs replies.


“Oh, okay; so it started five years ago.” Ted explains. “They would have couples, singles, groups, or whatever combo get their jollies off on film, send it to them, and then put it on a secure website…”


“This is a thing?!” Judge Russo exclaims.


“If it wasn’t then we couldn’t make money, could we? And when the hell did you become our accountant? I never agreed to that!” Novotny states, but he has this look, which discomforts me.


“Ems, the senior partner in this, asked me to look at the books.” I can’t understand where Ted is going with this! “And all monies that are in individual names belong to just that person?”


“Want me to swear on the bible?” He puts his hand on his long dead heart. “I keep what is mine and he keeps what little is his...I swear to almighty God. You happy, Nose Boy? Now stop avoiding my question, when did you become our accountant?!”


“So very happy.” Ted smiles. “Thank you. Now you can breathe easy, Ben, knowing that he has sworn in front of a judge that he won’t come after you in the divorce. So if you could just auto sign here, here, and here, then speak to said Judge, who I am sure he knows a colleague or two that could help with approving that. And to answer your question, as I just said, you Ignorant Iggy, I have been doing the books for almost four and a half years. Ems hired me to do them as I have a better knowledge of the tax loopholes to make the business more money! As usual, if the name Brian wasn’t mentioned, then you didn’t really pay attention. You got your checks, your meagre rocks off and left everything else to Ems.”


Teddy Schmiddy…” Justin snickers into my shoulder at the use of the nickname and his blushing. “...you sly ole fox, is that what you’ve been heads down all the time doing?”


“Yep. And that's not the only thing!” He beams, then turns to Mel. “Please, Mel, may I do the same for you where superslut is concerned?”


“You may.” She replies, then looks at Novotny, who looks like he is going to combust. “Do feel free to tell her during the arraignment.”


“Hey, Ems, you’ve missed some ballbusting!” Blake giggles as he returns. “Ems, are you alright?”


“Scumbag, you complete and utter dirty rotten scumbag! And knowing how much I love them, you still made me part of it!”


“Ems, seriously, what is it? What has it done?” Mel demands.


“I need to wrap my head around this, but first, Debs, the biggest Harvey, with as much bang as possible, please!”


For Ems to ask for a Harvey means it’s big. And judging by that look on his face, the kids need to be gone.


“Hold on. Jay-Ray, boys, go on up, please?” I order.


“Wait! Tell us what it was, then we leave, Pops.” Gus pleads. “We are going to find out anyway, it might as well be in the privacy of our…” Novotny’s snickering makes my skin crawl. “...our own home.”


“A camera! He’s had cameras spying on you two.” Ems balls his fists. “I got a notification from one of our long term subscribers, which was why I stepped out, asking about the Golden Couple and when their next liaison would be. He also attached his favourite scene of them. I happened to be in the lounge, it was in the lounge. I couldn't understand why you would let someone use Britin for that. The home he bought for his Prince, then it made sense, sick depraved sense! That was why their faces were always blurred and their voices changed, because it is you two. Now…” He takes a swig of his drink. “...who do I show this to? It needs confirming.”


“You can show it to me. I can confirm it.” Novotny laughs.


“Sure you want me that close to you?” Ems growls. His laughing stops. “They want you alive to pay for what you’ve done. I don’t.”


“Me. Give it to me, Ems.” Cyn orders. “Don’t be scandalised, Judge, they are a very passionate and spontaneous couple.” She stares at the screen for a few seconds. “It’s them. That was about six months ago, just after Bora-Bora. Justin still has the henna tattoo.”


“Cynders, can I see that?”


“Hunter, why would you want to?” Cyn holds the phone closer to her.


“For the angle, to see how the camera is pointing, so we can get a location. We won’t get the truth from Fuckhead here!”


“Let me see.” Jen asks. “Like Cyn, I have seen them in flagrante before.” I watch Novotny as she checks the screen. He is almost bursting to tell, but like Hunter says, he won’t. “Try the bookcase, second shelf down, I think that is the corner of the lamp.” Justin rushes out, followed by Hunter. Seconds later, there is a shout of ‘that sick sack of shit!’


“Again….oops.” Novotny sighs. “Honest, I did mean to ask you, Brian. I knew you wouldn’t mind, and you would be able to persuade your always wanting to please you semi broken toy that…”


“Popsy, you need to go to the bathroom!” Hunter bellows. “Guys, with me!”


LOWER BATHROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I am drenched and shaking. Filming us. He filmed us! How long for? Was it just the sex? I vomit once more before rinsing my mouth. I open the door and point to the bowl. He just about makes it. A minute later the door knocks again. “Go away!”


“It’s Christian. I have some iced water.” I look at Brian. He nods so I let him in.


“Thanks. Why did Hunter need the guys?” I smile at him, using the term that Hunter uses to describe himself, Gus, Jay-Ray and Hank.


“Not sure, but he’s asked everyone else to remain in the dining room.” There is yet another knock on the door. “It will be Debs, she said she would bring them, may I let her in?”


“Yeah, but what’s she bringing? If it isn’t a loaded crossbow with a…” He stops to dry heave again.


“Please boys, will you let me in?” Debs calls.


“Yes, Ma, come on.” I reply, we are quiet as she takes in the scene. “So what…”


“First, let’s get him off his ass!” Debs orders. Between us, we get Brian to sit on the edge of the bath. “Love makes us blind, doesn’t it?” We nod, whilst taking in the ramifications of this latest blow. “Change of clothes. There must be a name for the reflex sweat, when stressed, as you both do it. I know you two don’t mind the commando thing, so just a top and jeans from the last time you stayed at ours. Now go have a shower. I am sure there’s more to come, but at least you’ve got rid of this shit!”


“Never has a truer word been so eloquently said.” Christian smiles. “I will bring the toiletries...oh, do you think that he filmed you both in here?” Brian and I start to smile.  “So that would be a no, but why not?”


“Anytime he was here, we would lock this room and the master bedroom.” Brian sighs. “If only we followed our gut feeling and checked! You said that one time you felt like we were being watched!”


“Hindsight.” I declare, then step back. “Now swill and brush so I can kiss you!” Once he does, we melt into each other like we always do, the soft click of the door shutting breaks us apart. We just hold each other for a minute. “Hindsight okay?”


“Mmm, okay. Let’s, as Ma said, wash this away.” Brian declares.


AN HOUR LATER


HUNTER


We’re all back in the dining room, waiting for Popsy and Uncle J. Between Gus, Hank, and I, we’ve been making sure that Jay-Ray does not interact with him. Not, of course, that he’s been making that easy. They don’t look at him as they retake their seats.


“Pops, Poppa, you okay?” Gus asks as he gets up to pour them fresh drinks.


“Yes, Sonny Boy, we are over the initial shock.” Uncle J replies. “So we are where now?”


“Here now.” I declare, then march over to him and snatch up his phone.


“Give me that back!” Fuckhead shrieks, but I keep on doing my thing. 


“Okay. Christian, can you connect my phone to the main system, please, whilst I do the same with Fuckhead’s?”


“Of course.” Together we get them connected, and their website is showing, 


I navigate to the proprietor’s library, then stop. “Can someone take Jay-Ray and Hank out?”


“I will.” David declares. “I have no desire…”


“To see what you couldn’t measure up to?” Fuckhead smirks.


“He’s already seen my dick.”


“And how was that?! When was that?! How could you?!” 


“Simple, you hypocrite, I got fed up with your constant mooning over him, and went to the baths. We bumped into each other. Nothing happened except a promise that we would never mention it, but now there’s no reason not to.” David states, then turns to Ben. “So, twice was it? How did you sit?”


“Three times. We did it in the shower in the morning. I stood for the rest of the day.” Ben chuckles. 


“So, Auntie Ems, can you guide me? I am guessing you provided the capital, and he ‘insisted on doing the dirty work’?” 


“I put up 70%, he did the rest, well Ben did, and yes, yes he did. Okay, so you need to go to settings, then Entertainers, and then look for the Golden Couple.” The room is quiet as I carry out his instructions. “Load cameras, and that should...oh my goodness.” 


“Kemp. Fitson. How many are out there?!” Judge Russo demands.


“Not enough for all of that.” Fitson whispers.


“Then we do it in stages! Like I said, Novotny, I have back up! How many floors are there?”


“Almost three, we don’t use the top floor much.” Uncle J replies. “If only I didn’t want you to live, knowing that we’re happy!”


“But I’ve been living for the last few years knowing that I was making you miserable! And unless the court ordains, or you grow some balls, will keep doing so!” He smirks. “My partner in grime got lucky with the lounge, you won't find the rest. Not without my help. Now the question is, am I feeling helpful?”


“Get up Sunshine, need to see something.” Nobody speaks as he stares at the screen. “Let’s start here. It’s where you go to paint when you get blocked. Look the camera is pointed at the easel, but down, so…” He glowers at Fuckhead before thundering up the stairs, but then nothing happens.


“Oh dear, looks like he was wrong, want a hint?” He taunts us.


“Boo you tool!” I raise an eyebrow at Fuckhead as triumphant Popsy’s face fills the screen, then it goes dark. “I think I have worked it out. He’s a very simple tool after all. Watch the screens, people, watch the screens!”


NOVOTNY


I watch as room after room goes dark, and the cheering when it happens rankles. But I take comfort in the secret misery I caused them, the money means nothing. No, the reason I did it will go with me to my grave!! 


“So these will be entered as evidence.” The bulldyke announces, and Columbo nods. “And the site has been shut down and all assets frozen.” 


“Not bothered, what can you charge me with that beats, oh how I love that word, murder?”


“Revenge porn!” Columbo snarls. “You distributed this without their consent like Ems said, and profited from it. I knew you got twisted when you feel slighted, but this. This is...I don’t have the words!” 


“Thank god, then you can shut up, you sanctimonious bastard! And as for you, Melanie, I can understand why she cheated on you, having you harping on all the time, Jesus!” I roll my neck. “So it is the prom bashing, brief murder and distributing revenge porn. Anything else to add to my rap sheet, or can I get out of here?”


“Nope. Nothing. Get that stench out of our house.” Kinney orders, he doesn’t look at me, that pisses me off. “It truly is a pathetic tool.”


“At least I am not hiding behind my fiance, friends, the law and let’s not forget these…” I shake my cuffed hands at Boy Wonder. “...he’s oh, so very brave! Let’s go!” I am feeling euphoric, having once more had the last word.


“Wait, there is one thing I have to say, then you can take him.” He calls out. “And he needs to be uncuffed to hear it...”


“Uncuffed? Okay, I don’t see a problem with that..” Kemp uncuffs me and we turn to Boy Wonder. “So...”


“Want them to stay?” He raises an eyebrow.


“No. I am not afraid of you. Leave us.” I order, then sit down but nobody moves. 


He nods at the door, but still nobody moves. “Stud, I want to tell him, can I?” He leans down, whispers then they exchange a sappy look. “If you lead they will follow.”


“Everyone, please. He needs this.” Kinney kisses its cheek before heading to hold the door open. “Outside. This is his time. Let him have it.” 


The silence stretches on after the door closes. He is just sitting there. “So what do you want to say to me?” I wipe the residue away where they took my prints. He says nothing, just continues to stare at me. “Look, I have a jail cell to get comfortable in, get on with it.”


“I thought I wanted closure after all these years, but now I’ve come to realise that I have it. It didn’t matter who tried to kill…”


“Ahem, for a whole minute I succeeded, remember?” I goad him.


“Let’s not forget that. No matter who it was, I had closure. When I got better and Brian stayed with me to help get better. But the cameras, that’s a low blow, however, I know why you did it.”


“Oh, this should be interesting, do tell.”


“Did you enjoy watching us in Babylon? Did you think I couldn’t feel those lustful jealous looks from shadows?” I blink a couple of times, how did he know that?! “You loved to watch us. But then us being monogamous took that away from you. When we stopped using the backroom for anything other than blowjobs, wanking and kissing, and even then that was on a private bed, you had to find another way to peep at us. How did that feel to see your best friend, the greatest love of your miserable life, worshipping me?! Tell me, last Valentine's Day, how did you feel lying on the bed right after we finished?!”


“He degrades himself with you!” I spit.


“Get it into that thick stupid ugly head, he’s all about the slow burn. Yes we fuck, we have quickies like most couples, but it is the build up he loves. That’s why he loves making love to me and I him. It’s because of the way we get there, slowly but surely. Never the same way twice. Unlike you, who has that one time on a loop in that meagre mind of yours. You were ready to pop in seconds. And that’s why he calls you Trigger. Not an endearing nickname as you thought but a pisstake.” My stomach churns as he leans back in his chair. “But it changed over the years…”


“How so?” I sneer.


“Because he could tell. He could tell when I was on the edge of giving you a pummelling so he’d say ‘let’s go Trigger’ and I’d say ‘way to go Champion’ before you would scamper after him thinking you had upset me once more. Oh the irony of him saving your life, many, many times.”


I blink a few seconds as I take in what he has said. “I am not rising to your pitiful attempts at goading. I am not giving you a self-defense excuse!”


“I have had that excuse for years, remember? Even before we knew it was you who killed me. And your many reminders this evening have not been irksome at all.”


JUSTIN


I head towards him. My steps slow, my eyes never leaving him. He gets up and puts the chair in front of him. “I want to leave now!” He bellows.

 

”I bet you do.” I reply as I track him. “Now who’s the coward? I’ve noticed that about you over time. You would only be snide and snarky when someone else was in the room, a witness if you like, but whenever it was just us, there would be solicitous blissful silence.” He swallows hard and his eyes dart this way and that. “You’ve been in this room many times, we both know there is only one way out and I am in front of it.” 

End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive.

The End and the Ben-Twixing by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

No copyright infringement is intended by using the lyrics by Blue Pearl.

CHAPTER 18 - THE END AND THE BEN-TWIXING


MICHAEL


“There’s one more camera! It is in here!” I exclaim.


“No there isn’t.” He laughs. “Brian took it with him...Trigger.” 


“There’s a judge outside!” 


“Whatever I am going to do to you, everyone outside wants to happen. The one person that could’ve saved you is on her way to jail. Such a shame.” 


I take some deep breaths, then realise that this is the fat butted twink who I can easily beat. After all, I almost did it before. 


“Hunter is right.”


“About?” I drawl and walk towards him.


“Me being able to take you.” He replies.


“The moment I move you, which I will, suddenly everyone will come in and save you, like they always do!” 


“The only person that saved me is Brian. So come ahead, Trigger, move me.”


“You do realise that by inviting me to approach, that nullifies your plea of self defence?”


“Move me.” He repeats. 


I am about a foot away from him. “Last chance to let me out of here without any harm coming to you.” He just stares. “You can’t say you weren’t warned.” He does nothing as I get within touching distance. 


JUSTIN


“How’d that work out for you?” I ask an on the floor and wheezing Novotny or  should it be Grassi, but to me he will always be Nomatter. Who is wheezing because I punched him in the solar plexus. “I have been taking them…”


“Taking...what?” He croaks.


“Krav maga classes.” I reply as I open the door. “Whoa there!” I snort as Brian almost falls on top of me. ”Upsie!” I chuckle as I right him.


“Daisy!” He finishes like we always do. “Wow, I expected more damage than that.” Brian nods at Kemp who puts the cuffs back on. “You good?”


“All good.” I reply. 


“You just got a lucky punch, you bad for nothing but shit fucking shit!” Nomatter spits as he is hauled to his feet. 


“He is excellent at that! And at eight and half by two and a half, not little!” Brian snorts. “And it was you who got the lucky punch, Trigger, because 13 years of krav maga means that he could, and quite frankly should, have done more than that!” He tucks my hair behind my ears “Why so little?”


“Because I didn't want to be like him, another disappointment to you. He is enough. I want to be someone that you, Gus, and our next child are proud of. Me giving him the kicking he deserves also gives him what he wants, a way out, which is my fault. No matter the circumstances, it would be down to me. I could not do it.”


“You know, I have often wondered about that.” Ted frowns. “You always do it Bri. After our class, yes ours Novotny, we are all doing it. But again it was something you didn’t want to do, because you thought Brian wasn’t, but he was, just a different day from Justin. So we all could break you in half much like that toy but like Bri said, he needed this.”


“And the love making after each class...super hot!” I add. “Why do you think we got a bigger jeep? So we can go at it, quick, deep, down and dirty. Or in the loft, there was one time...”


“Tell me what did you wonder about Ted?!” A crimson faced Judge Russo interrupts.


“Why he tucks his hair behind his ears, he does that after class or when he is really angry. Why?” Ted smiles at the gurning Nomatter is doing.


“It grounds him.” Daph replies. Even I'm surprised by this, as I thought nobody knew but us. “I know you, you twit. When you are angry, you need to ‘come down’, and him tucking your hair behind your ears helps you do that. He is telling you ‘come back, come back to me’, and it works. You switch off, you turn off the hate, the anger, everything negative.”


“Oh how sweet! He has an off switch for his toy!” Novotny sneers. 


“If he can’t get a reaction from me, he gets it from you. So let’s give him the one thing he hates...kiss me.” I tell Brian and he does so, but not where I expect. He lifts my hair and kisses my scar. 


“Your honour.” He points at Nomatter.


“Take him away!” Judge Russo orders, soon it is just us, our true family and friends, sitting in silence. “Well, as evenings go, this was eventful! It reminds me of that Alistair Sims movie about the nurse or someone who killed herself, and they gathered all the people that were pivotal in her decision to take her life...now what was it called? It will come to me. Ah, An Inspector Calls! That was it! You should watch it, a classic.”


I start grinning. "If it was made before 1970, and it's black and white, then Brian will have watched it already." 


Brian looks at me with his adorable tongue-in-cheek-grin. "More than once, to be honest. Where do you think I got the idea for this little gathering from?" 


“I know I should be pissed, but lucky for you, I am not, because this could only be done by you, Asshoe. So now what?” Debs asks.


“You leave it with me, Carl and Mel.” Judge Russo smiles. “They have suffered long enough. Time for this to end.”


BRIAN


“Justin.” I mock grumble as he slithers into my lap. He only does this when he is super happy. I laugh as he wiggles between my legs, then remember our trip to Bora-Bora…


Start of flashback

ST REGIS HOTEL, BORA-BORA - SIX MONTHS PRIOR


SUITE


BRIAN


“It will fade, right?” Justin looks pensively at the henna tattoo, I had spent most of the night trying to stop him from scrubbing it off. “Brian, it will, won’t it?”


“Yes, it will. It will fade naturally. It is organic henna, so it will be fine, and it will be gone in three weeks.” I look out the window. It is so sunny, but I know him. “So if I get it into every nook and cranny, can we sit outside for a couple of hours?” He walks out of my embrace, then rummages in his case before pulling out a cock-sock. “Over here, now.” I order, for twenty minutes he laughs and squeals as I cover him from head to toe. “There you are slathered to perfection!” I declare, then open the balcony door, only for the heavens to take that moment to rain down on us. “You have got to be fucking with me?!”


“So what?! Come on!” Justin laughs heading outside. “Think of it as a natural spring! Come rinse me off, Stud!”


I am incredulous as he dances in the torrential rain. “Get back in here! We have neighbours!” 


“You can fuck in public, but not dance in the rain?” He shouts as he shimmies across the deck. “You really are an oxymoron! Whoo hoo, look at my hips rock in my cock-sock!”


“I can’t believe I am doing this!” I mutter as I peel off my shorts and go join him.


“Take me dancing, naked in the rain…” Justin sings then turns to me smiling...with his phone. 


“You are not recording this?!” I gasp, covering my dick.


“Of course I am!" He says, before starting to sing again." I'm singing in the rain, all naked in the rain...wait, I found the song!  Listen!” 


It's so hot in here, oh

I'm in over my head

Fire fills me, hot and red

Raging like a blood red sun

Fire fueled by deeds undone

Burning and I just can't wait to give a helping hand to fate

Change this crazy world around, first we gotta cool down

Take me dancing naked in the rain

Feel it washing over me, oh oh

Join me dancing naked in the rain

Cover me in ecstasy, oh

Oh oh

Smoke is in my eyes

Drifting from the burning cries

Of those who have no strength to stand

Against the fire in the land

Come and wash away the pain, step into the blessed rain

Cool the fire in your soul, the rain will make you whole

Take me dancing naked in the rain

It’s washing over me, oh oh

Join me dancing naked in the rain

Cover me in ecstasy

Take me dancing naked in the rain

Feel it…


“Can you feel it?” I ask, he nods and I stop his shimmying. "Let me make you whole, cover you in ecstasy and let the rain wash the pain away!" I whisper.


“What pain?” He queries as he rubs his arms.


“Having had to deal with him every day. Two things are going to happen, first since Carl got involved: we will find out who attacked you, and second it’s done. Him and I are done as best friends. How can he not see that it is now you? Even though you know, he needs to be told that I put you before him. After Gus, you my blue eyed beauty are the second most important person in the world to me. You are my very important second...we should get that tattooed...” He stops me with a gentle smooch.


“Thank you, I am honored to be your VIS." He smiles at my frown. “Very important second! It's the best position I have ever been in, which is saying quite a bit!" 


I sigh as he looks at the room and continues to rub his arms. “You’re regretting the rain dance aren’t you?”


“So very much!” He chatters.


“You twat!” I snicker as I carry him back inside. "So the cover-you-in-ecstasy part.."


“Too fucking cold! Seriously, I need a bath and hot chocolate!” He mutters then sneezes.


“I love that only you can get a cold in seconds.”


“Shut up and set the bath!”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


“Feeling better?” I ask, knowing the answer is yes as we sit in the bath with him having hot chocolate and humming.


He stirs the mug with a finger of Twix. “Want a bite?”


“No thanks. That abomination is for you and you alone.”


“Just a tiny nibble.” He smiles, but there is something in that smile.


“The things I do for you. You know I don’t...” I am stopped by him putting his Twix finger in my mouth. “Why didn’t you tell me this tastes so good?!” I turn his giggling self around.


“Because you get how you get. For example the avocado, egg and sausage muffins or the wings and waffles!” I look around the room. “Which means?” He jabs me gently. 


“I have told Christian not to cook them without me being there.” I hand him the other finger, then am mesmerised as he sucks off the chocolate, my heart skips a beat as he peels and drops the caramel layer down his throat. It is when he bites down on the biscuit that I have had enough of his teasing. “Come here you!”


BRITIN - FOUR DAYS LATER


KITCHEN


BRIAN


“What are you doing, Michael?! Put that back!” I order as he goes to open the Twix.


“I like it, so…”


“Since when?” Ben snorts. “The first and only time you tried it, you said it gave you a…”


“How dare you come into our home and behave like that?” I snap. “It is the last one, and…”


“You don’t eat Twix, he does, so it doesn’t matter!” Michael snickers. My temper abates when Ben takes it off him, puts it in the fridge then stands in front of it. He glowers at him for a few seconds before going back to rummage. “Oooh Marathons! When did you start getting them?!” 


“Michael, pay attention!” Ben snaps as he catches on. “Stop it!”


“Justin did. And he matters immensely to me.” I ball my fists as he just shrugs then takes one out. “Put it back or I'll break off your fingers!” 


“Break off my fingers?” He repeats. “Did you really just say that?! Ben, did you hear him?!”


“Yes I did. And like he said, put it back.” Ben replies. “For God sake show them the same respect they show us. This is theirs, leave it to them. I am sorry, Brian, sometimes he just does not know his place.”


“My place!” Michael shouts. “This is Brian's house, as his best friend I am entitled...” 


"Entitled?! You sure as hell are that, but this is not my house, it is our home, mine and Justin’s. And if you ever do that again, as well as breaking off your fingers, I will shove them so far up your ass you will be able to frot yourself!”


“Frot yourself?” Ben blinks at me. “Did you really just say that? To Michael?”


“Yeah.” I retort ready to square up.


“About fucking time. Once more Michael, put it back!”


“What’s going on?” Justin asks as he comes from back from shopping, then sighs. “Why the hell are you in this box? How did you even find it? Brian, why...”


“Not me! Came in to find him with it!” I fume.


“So you two are taking it to the loft, then nobody but you can have it?” Ben suggests.


“A great idea.” I kiss his forehead, when I catch the look that Michael is giving us, I am about to say something but Ben's head shake stops me. “Fine. Let’s get this shopping unpacked. Oh you have a delivery.” 


“Yeah I saw. Let’s put them in too.” He opens the box from Hotel Chocolat. “I got your favourites. Plus did a double order of the body products.”


“Sounds very fancy and expensive.” Michael snipes. “You sure know how to spend Brian’s money, by masquerading it as something he likes.”


“It’s not his money, it is mine, millionaire here too remember? But if you are extra nice, maybe Ben would be inclined to treat you. But since you are far too parsimonious to treat anyone but yourself, or Brian, at a cost to me and Ben, he most probably won’t.” Justin returns then goes back to unpacking. “Oh and Ben these are for you.” He hands him a huge bag of sour cherries.


“Ugh you know I don’t like those, why did you buy them?!” Michael demands.


“Because you are not Ben and I bought them for him.” Justin continues to unpack, whilst Michael looks stunned.


“Want a chocolate Ben? You can have the Twix if you want. He bought more.” I ask then contain my snort as he and Justin share it whilst I make coffee. Michael just sulks in his chair like a toddler. “Oh for pissing hell sake!” I growl as the toy he gave us topples over again. “I have had enough of this shit!” 


“Brian, what are you doing?!” Michael demands as I head to the bin with it. “I gave you that!”


“And it, like you, is annoying, and we get rid of annoying things!” Justin snarks.


“At least I wouldn’t be so cheap and desperate as to get my ass branded with my fuckbudy’s handprints! Come on, Ben, I want to go home!”


“Then call a cab.” Ben returns. “You want to go home, I don’t.”


“Wait, Brian don’t…” Michael pleads. “What did you do that for?!

 

“Because you need to hear me, as you have always said actions speak louder than words!” I dump the snapped remains of the toy in the bin then turn to Ben. “What taxi firm do you use?”


“It is fine, Brian.” Christian suddenly appears. “I am going to meet some friends, so will drop him off. And take the box etc to the loft.”

End of flashback


BRIAN


“God there was a camera in the kitchen?!” Ben exclaims. “And it was, like the others, in the toy. I remember Christian almost had to keel haul him away from the bin.” We just look at each other as realisation dawns. “Hang on, who were the henna hand butt prints on?”


“Me. Only Justin can make me do anything. Jesus. He was...wow.” I scrub my face.


“Ass branded? You two have...I eat in there!” Jen exclaims.


“Not one word, from anybody!” Debs declares, there is silence, before she chuckles. “Can make you do anything, huh? So are there any other adornments we need to know about?” She teases.


“We got each other's cocks tattooed on our coccyx.” I smile at their incredulity.


“Kinney and Taylor or as we know and love them better as the Stud and his Sunshine!” Ted chuckles. “Promise to never change?”


“We promise.” We grin, but in our laps our fingers are crossed.


COUNTY JAIL - TWO HOURS LATER


MICHAEL’S CELL


MICHAEL

 

I check my ribs for bruises, but there is nothing there. As usual, I am left with nothing, but in court, they will understand and see where the fault lies. It lies with Brian for leading me on, with Boy Wonder for leading him away, and with Ben for sleeping with him. By the time I am done weaving my tale of woe, I will be out of here in no time!

End Notes:

Please review kindly...this penultimate chapter. Thanks.

Epilogue...After Everything A Quiet End by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 19 - EPILOGUE...AFTER EVERYTHING A QUIET END


BRITIN - A YEAR LATER


MASTER BEDROOM


JUSTIN


“We are so weak!” Brian giggles, which I love so much, as I clamber into bed having carried her in, very quietly, we have guests after all.


“Totally and utterly, but who could not be when faced…” 


“Oh for….boys?!” Carl taps then pokes his head in. “That is it!” He whispers. “Honey, Jen...some tough love is called for!”


“She snuffled! And she…” I trail off as he glowers me into silence.


“Darlings.” Mom comes in with a head-shaking Debs. “We are taking them back to the nursery. I will be on one side of the door and Tucker on the other. Capitch?!”


“Capice.” Debs corrects her whilst taking Bella off a pouting Brian. 


“Yeah that. Come, my little sweetling.” Mom croons as she takes Donna from me, before closing the door behind her.


“What am I gonna do with you two?” Carl smiles as he sits down. “The grandmas are right. You will run yourself into the ground if you leap up everytime the Oreo Twins make a noise.” 


“But…”


“But nothing, Justin, babies make noise, and with Cyn and Daph for mothers, they are gonna make a lot of it.” He looks thoughtful. “I am glad you did it that way. I saw her face that night. She looked sad…”


“But understanding.” I add, and he nods.


“A combination of the four of us, with them both carrying, was the perfect solution.” Brian grins as he listens to the monitor. “Stop that, you can’t hold a tune in a bucket!” 


“You are getting a very polite shush, which is one time only!” Debs snipes back.


“So we have free time now. Want to…” Brian whispers.


“As if you need to ask.” I return.


“Let me leave first!” Carl laughs before he hurries out.


NEXT DAY


KITCHEN


I reach across Brian and turn the monitor off. “This afternoon is going to be tough for Debs.”


“Tough in that we get to find out what the court decides, but for him going to where he is going, no it won’t be.” Brian smiles. This I don’t understand. “She has finally accepted it. Yeah, that night she realised, but acceptance is something different. With the irrefutable evidence we had and how he behaved, she saw him for who he is.”


“A lying sack of sh…” Ben comes in and I give him Bella. “...shishkebab.” As well as rueful he also looks so healthy. His life is going really great, but when the gates creak and the horn blasts he sighs. “Well, it was good whilst it lasted. Seriously, not only are you the most loved up men in the world after all these years, you also have two beautiful daughters, but have one godfather who…”


“Give me!” Ems orders, holding out his arms.


“When the heck…” Ben gasps.


He smirks at our incredulity. “I ran from the gate. My workout routine now includes sprinting, so give me.”


“Have Donna.” Ted grins and he immediately puts her in his sling. Yes, he has his own sling for each of them. “Give him a minute.”


“Please do.” Ems sighs then waits for her to settle. “Where are we?”


“Waiting for the gang, but they’re not coming.” I reply. “They are going to stay with Jay-Ray. It’s just the grown ups.” I take that moment to look at a bubble blowing at Bella Brian. “Grown ups, that would be us, remember?”


“And who was it that was doing…”


“Okay!” I blush before pointing out the window as the gang meanders down the path. “So I could be reaching…”


“No you are not, and we are saying nothing!” Ems whisper-hisses walking to the other side of the kitchen. We follow. “Themksssedonlipsbarn.” He mumbles.


“What?” Brian demands.


“Themksssedonlipsbarn.” He repeats, grinning.


“Honeycutt!” Brian growls.


“They. Kissed.” He pronounces. “On the lips for a long time! It was in the barn!”


“I returned a favour.” Hunter makes us all jump. 


“Took him long enough.” Hank laughs, but whilst Jay-Ray goes red, she does not let go of his hand.


“Well, I have nothing. You Sunshine?” Brian grins.


“Yes. Let’s get these princesses ready!” I take Bella from Ben.


“Come on, Baby, time to get them looking good and smelling gorgeous!” Ems orders.


“Not so much talc this time, Honeycutt!” Brian demands as it makes him sneeze.


“Fine, but don’t call me Honeycutt!” He laughs as he gently trots out.


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON


COURTROOM ROOM THREE


MICHAEL


“That’s Parker Hall, isn’t it?!” I gasp as he sits down. “Why is he here?” I ask Simon, my attorney.


“No idea.” He replies.


“One of the most high profile gay hockey players in Pittsburgh is in this courtroom, and you don’t know why?!” I hiss. 


“No I don't!” He snaps.


“I can answer that.” Jacob Moon, the prosecuting attorney snarks. “He is supporting his partner and their friends.”


“Who’s his partner?!” I mutter, then hear Ted’s laugh. I try to turn but Simon tugs on my sleeve. 


“I said look at me!” He orders, so I do so. “Now before you carp again about Peterson reaching a deal, I would not. All she did, as was proven, was wash away the blood, but not say that is what she did.”


“She should’ve gotten three years! That’s what her cow of an ex said she should get, but oh no, she most likely screwed her way to eighteen months! The way she talked about me, the way they all did! They made me look jealous, but…”


“For crying out loud.” Jacob sighs. “Today is your sentencing! Like her, you have been found guilty. Can we please have a day of you not…”


“Lying!” Simon interrupts. “You did it for 16 years. Now be quiet.”


I scowl as I sit back in my seat, then gape as Ben sits down next to Parker Hall and he kisses him! “Did you see that?!” I elbow Simon. 


“What?”


“He kissed him. He kissed...”


“His partner. You got a problem with that?” Jacob asks.


“Does he know about what he has?” I shout, relishing the courtroom going quiet.


“Don’t they have newspapers or TV in jail?” Parker Hall retorts. “Or did you stay in your cell, wanking off to what is never going to be?! We have been official for six months, so yeah, I  know, and I am enjoying the rewards of Ted’s Freedom Present! Do you remember that? Or do I need to remind you that my partner got it on the night you confessed to trying to murder Justin?!”


“Everyone needs…”


“No they don’t. This is not your day to speak.” Jacob states. “Hey, gents, you look good!” He declares as the love of my life walks in with Boy Toy Wonder and others!


“Who the hell are they?” I gawk.


“Yes, yes, Honeycutt, she’s coming!” I gawp as he lifts a baby out of the sling and gives her to him. Boy Toy Wonder gives the other one to Nose Boy.


I look around their group. “Where is my daughter, Mel?” 


“She no longer recognises you as her father…” She replies without looking at me. “...ergo no reason for her to be here.”


“She was at the trial!” I point out.


“Supporting her real family. Now for goodness sake, sit and be quiet!” Jacob barks, then looks at a guard. “Can you restrain him?”


“You are not serious?!” I demand.


“Very. Try and say one more word.” He glowers at me. “Just one.” I fold my arms and sit down.


“How’d it go?” Nose Boy asks. 


“Wonderfully. Oh Ems, you need to speak to Christian as the party is now on Saturday instead of tonight.” Boy Toy Wonder waffles. 


“So what are we waiting for?” Columbo asks.


“Judge Malcolm.” Jacob replies. “Should be here in a couple of minutes.”


I tear off a sheet of paper and pick up a pen. He never said I couldn't write! What is going on with them? Why are they having a party? When did they have babies? Why did you allow my ex to humiliate me like that?! I shove it under his nose. He scribbles something down before handing it to Jacob!


“Only he can answer the first three questions, owing to him being on that and their side.” He responds to my incredulous look, I fume at the snickering as they pass the note around. It doesn't take long to come back. “Okay, nunya, because of you going to jail, nunya, and freedom of speech.”


“All rise.” The bailiff orders.


THE LOFT - EARLY EVENING


LOUGE


BRIAN


“Why here? Why not go back to Britin?” I pour my husband a glass of Veuve Clicquot and watch him take a sip. “Though I think you have made Honeycutt’s year. His first overnight with the Oreos. And on our wedding day.”


“Because this is where we began.” Justin feeds me a prawn. “And now he is in jail for twenty years, then the restraining orders for all of us kick in.”


I feed him some lobster. I love watching him eat, the way he savours the food is such a turn on, instead of shoveling it down like it is his last meal! “Whose idea was it?” 


“What?” He starts to take off my clothes, whilst returning the lobster favour.


“What he says.” I raise an eyebrow, he beams as I help him get naked. “So?”


“Well. It was you, you, who said that simplest is always best.”


“It is true, I did.” I follow him to bed with the platter and we get comfortable. “But that tinkling wave with your left hand making sure the ring got his attention like a magpie after saying goodbye forever, Trigger as a victim statement was the idea of?”


“Carl.”


“Carl?”


“Yep. You know he never liked him.” This surprises me but he says nothing, just traces my lips and smiles before clearing his throat. “Now can you tell me when you started to see what I saw?”


“Oh how you know me.” We gaze at each other, again he traces my mouth. “In my heart of hearts, years before Bora-Bora. I couldn't believe how...how much he became like Jack.” I wait and again he proves how he knows me best by saying nothing. “Always wanting to take things. First it was from you then it was from us. Like the treat box. He was determined to...”


“Wait. Taste this.” He orders and puts a cube of watermelon in my mouth. 


“Delicious. Haven’t had watermelon with brandy sugar syrup in forever.” I give him a cube and his eyes sparkle with devilment.


“Does this go on the list too?” He grins.


“It does.” I run one more piece over his lips...oh how he eats! “So wherever did you find this recipe?”


“I might have found out that it was at the White Party that you and Ben met at.”


“And…” I prompt.


“And he said you really loved it. But back to Nomatter, he was always trying to take something from you, always trying to muscle in on something that makes you happy.” Justin strokes my face then feeds me another cube of watermelon.


“Yes he did, but like that love at first sight night, he is not in here, nor will he ever feature again. We’re free. Now let’s make us as happy as only we can, Mr Taylor-Kinney.” 


The end.

End Notes:

Please be kind and consructive if reviewing.

Thanks to you PBQ for the inspiration!

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1470