Look At The Mess We Became by starlight
Summary:

Justin is never found in New York, when Brian kicked him out.

This does contain Mpreg.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Claire Kinney, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Joan Kinney, Justin Taylor, Leda, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Debbie, Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Family, MPreg (Yup! Went THERE!)
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Other, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 68606 Read: 292168 Published: Oct 17, 2016 Updated: Jun 30, 2018
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Lorie thank you for all the hard work on this, you help me clear up the holes in this and for that the reader should be glad I have such a great Beta.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is what I've been doing while writing The Story of Our Life. I am going to keep up with both so you still get a chapter of each. And more when I'm off work.

My life began in a New York alley, beyond that I couldn't tell you anything about myself. All I know is that either my first or last name starts with a J. At least I figure they do because that’s what was on my belt buckle. So I’ll just call myself Jay. I kept hoping that if I was missing, someone would be looking for me, but I stopped hoping after a month and continued to do what I could to survive. The problem is no one hires you if you don’t know your full name and have an address. The only thing I could find were people willing to pay me to clean dishes and they were paying under the table so the money wasn’t much, but it was better than the alternative. I learned to stretch every dollar. I was living off ramen noodles and sleeping anywhere there were walls around me. I was on the streets for over a month, when I went to give blood for a ten dollar gift certificate and found out I was pregnant. The lady told me to go to the health center and they would at least tell me how far along I was. I left the health center with a gift bag of food and a new worry, I was going to be a father in six months, and I didn’t have a clue who the other father was or have a last name for us.

 

I got a job cleaning at a gallery, and one night I met Max, the owner. I’d been borrowing paper and pencils off his desk to draw with on my breaks, I found it easier to forget my life when I drew. He walked into his office thinking I was stealing, so I made him a self portrait, after that he didn’t seem to mind me borrowing them. Max later confessed to me that he was hiding out most nights because his ex was stalking him. Max attracts guys who stalk him when he breaks up with them. We became friends and I told him about the baby and my amnesia. He asked if I ever went to the police to see if they could help. I told him no one cares about the homeless, and if I was missing and anyone cared, I would think someone would have found me after all this time.

 

I remember coming into work one day and Max told me that he left something for me to use in his office. I walked in to see an easel and paints, I just started painting, it was like I was born to do it. When I finished, I realized Max had been watching me paint.

 

“Can I see?” He he begged me.

 

I stepped away from the canvas, and waited to see disappointment in Max’s eyes.

 

“You must have had talent before, do you want to know what I think?” He asks me.

 

“It’s the worst you’ve ever seen.” I tell him.

 

“No, I want to know what the man is looking for.” He tells me.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask him.  

 

“Jay, the reason people want a painting is because it speaks to them. This painting makes me wonder if the man ever finds what he was looking for, you told a story with your art. If you'd let me help you, like I keep asking, you could make a living at this. Do you really want to try to raise the baby cleaning my Gallery, or would you rather be showing your work here? Think of the baby, a shelter is not where you want the baby to be raised.” Max tells me.

 

We'd been arguing about this for months. He wanted me to explore my talent, I wanted to be able to afford a place on my own, to prove I could take care of my baby. Max didn’t understand why I wouldn’t let him help me. To me it felt like I was taking advantage of him. In the end I accepted his offer, because the minute I held Aidan, I knew my pride didn’t matter, he did.

 

Max came to the hospital and took Aidan and me home with him. Max wanted children but couldn’t find someone he trusted to have one with him, so he settled for being Uncle Max. When I was ready to return to work, Max fired me and told me to paint, because he wanted to be the one to discover me.

 

I was glad I’d listened to Max because in two years, people were asking Max for my work. I still remember my first show, I hung my first painting called Haunted with four others, praying to sell something. I almost ran back and took them off the wall, because the artist next to me was famous and didn’t deserve to have an Unknown next to him. Max dragged me away to stop me and to meet a reporter. He wanted me to have some exposure by at least having my name in an article. I wandered around to look at other works because I didn’t want to hear if people hated my work. Max came to find me an hour later, he was excited.

 

“They sold.” He tells me.

 

“What sold?” I asked him.

 

“All five of your paintings.” He tells me.

 

“Your kidding, tell me you're joking. I'm an unknown.” I tell him.

 

“No, you're an Artist. Now we just need to change your last name to something with flare. Smith isn't going to work.” He tells me.

 

That is how Jay Thomas was born. I worked for the next year and was finally starting to sell in the double digits. I told Max I wanted to get my son out of New York, he needed a place where being mugged wasn’t a right of passage. Max thought I was nuts to want to move to Pittsburgh. I just felt like I belonged there, I told him if I was wrong Aidan and I could always move back. Max wanted us to stay, because like me, he didn’t have any family either, and Aidan and I were as close as he could get. I also felt like we were the reason his relationship was rocky with his current boyfriend, Kevin. Kevin didn't like that Max and I always wanted to hang out. I couldn’t convince him that we saw each other as brothers, not partners. When I announced Aidan and I were moving, I could see Kevin was happy about it. I didn't really like Kevin, because he always tried to push Aidan aside, if Max paid attention to him. Max seemed happy with Kevin, so I decided Aidan and I needed to move, to allow them to have a relationship, without me knocking Kevin the fuck out.  

 

I was finally finished unpacking the house and Aidan needed to run off some energy, because I wanted to take a nap. Which isn’t possible with a four year old, who is still full of energy.

 

“Aidan, do you want to go to the park?” I ask him.

 

Aidan climbs out of the box he was playing in and runs to me.

 

“Are we going to play or just walk around?” He asks me.

 

“We can do both.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, but I don’t want to take a nap.” Of course he doesn’t.

 

“How about we go and you can decide that after we come home.” I tell him.

 

“I won’t be tired.” Yes he will, because I plan to run his ass off.

 

I grab some water and snacks, because I hoped he is going to be too tired to eat when we come home. We were wandering down the street when Aidan ran into a man. The man smiled at Aidan, then looked up at me.

 

“Oh my God, it is you, where the hell have you been Justin?” He asks me.

 

“I’m sorry, but who are you, and who’s Justin?” I ask him, although Justin does sound right to me somehow. I normally don’t get recognized, but this guy seems to think he knows me. I grab Aidan in case the guy is some nutty groupie.

 

“Emmett.. Emmett Honeycutt.” He tells me. He seems to think I should know him, but groupies sometimes do that.

 

“You know my dad?” Aidan asks him. I grab Aidan tighter because Emmett is really making me nervous.

 

“Yes, of course I do. Justin, what’s going on?” He asks me.

 

“You know me?” I ask him. I wanted it to be true, then I could find out who I am.

 

“Wait, don’t you know who I am?” Em asks me.

 

“No.” I tell him.

 

“You really don’t know me?” He asks me.

 

“Look, if you like my art, that's nice, but I'm with my son.” I tell him, because it’s starting to sound like he doesn’t really know me.

 

“Son, OH MY GOD, BRIAN IS GOING TO SHIT GOLD BRICKS.” He yells then turns and asks “Are you okay?” I guess the wary look I had finally sunk in.

 

“Could you let us by, I really don’t want to have to call the police.” I tell him. Yeah I think it’s time to get away from Emmett.

 

“OH MY GOD, YOUR MOTHER, HOW ARE WE GOING TO TELL HER?” He yells at me. Ignoring my threat to call the police.

 

“Wait, what are you talking about?” I ask him. That stopped me because, if he isn’t a nut job, but  knows my family he could lead me to my life before.

 

“Your mother and Brian, how am I going to tell them your back?” He asks me.

 

“Back?” I ask him.

 

“Um, why are you acting like you didn’t you used to live here?” Emmett asks me. Like he expects me to say “I'm kidding”.

 

“Because I don’t, I lost my memory five years ago.” I tell him.

 

“How and where did you go five years ago? Brian kicked you out and you disappeared.” He asks.

 

“Can we discuss this without little ears hearing.” I point to Aidan.

 

“I’ll discuss it with you all day, because you aren’t leaving my sight, not until we figure out how to tell everyone.” He tells me.

 

I told Emmett we could discuss this after Aidan laid down for a nap. So Emmett followed us and was practically glued to me. I allowed it because I wanted to know who I am. Emmett helped me carry a sleeping Aidan to my house and when we were finally alone I asked him the one thing I needed to know.

 

“Who am I?” I asked.

 

“Oh Baby, you're Justin Taylor.” He tells me. I savor the name, it was my name.

 

“You know my family?” I ask him.

 

“Yes, and your mother is going to be so happy to see you.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t remember anything about my life, please tell me something.” I beg him.

 

“You lived here in Pittsburgh growing up.You came out and your father disowned you but your mother, Jen, stuck by you. You also have a little sister and your best friend Daphne.” He tells me.

 

“Who is Brian, you mentioned him earlier?” I ask him.

 

“He’s the guy you were kind of seeing, you lived with him before we lost you.” He tells me.

 

“Did anyone try to find me?” I ask him.

 

“Only all of Liberty Avenue, we hoped you would use Brian’s credit card again, but after the airfare there was nothing. It’s like you vanished. What happened?” He asks me.

 

“I woke up in an alley, with no memory, and ended up on the streets.” I tell him.

 

“Can I ask about Aidan?” He asks me.

 

“I was homeless and tried to donate blood to get some money, they test you before you can give and I found out I was pregnant. I was a couple months by then, so I got pregnant before I got to New York. ” I tell him.

 

“That boy has to be Brian’s, he looks a lot like him.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, the guy who kicked me out? Did he not want to be a father?” I ask him.

 

“His loft was burglarized and he lost his shit and kick you out, he thought you didn't set the alarm. When he calmed down you were already gone.” He tells me.

 

“You said thought, why?” I ask him.

 

“We found out later that his two best friends were there that day and left it unlocked, they told us it was an accident but I think one of them, Michael, did it on purpose because he wanted you gone. Brian hasn't forgiven Michael because he stood there and let you take the blame.” He tells me. He whispers ‘jewel’ for some reason.

 

“Why, was I trying to cut him out of Brian’s life?” I ask him.

 

“No, he wanted to be in your place in Brian’s life. Brian never offered him the chance, or anybody else until you.” He tells me.

 

“Why didn’t the other best friend tell the truth?” I could have had my life.

 

“Lindsay wanted Brian to pay for Gus, the child he donated sperm for so she and her wife could have a baby. When you came along Brian stopped being as generous towards her, and she felt it was your fault.” He tells me.

 

“How did he find out the truth?” I ask him.

 

“Oh shit Baby, there is so much you don’t know. They came to the loft looking for a ‘donation’ to the ‘Michael trapping Brian fund’, you know a sperm sample. Only they didn’t get Brian’s sample, but some one else's” He tells me.

 

“Whose sample did they get?” I ask him because he seem reluctant to tell me.

 

“It wasn’t Brian’s because the test came back negative for him being the father. Brian told them it was most likely yours, because you were the only person he’d been with in the loft. Your mother came and had the test run against her DNA to see if there was a match. The test showed the baby was related to her. Um Congrats… you um… have a daughter?” He tells me.

 

“Where is my child?” I ask him.

 

“She lives with Brian, he and your mom have joint custody.” He tells me.

 

This can’t be happening. “What’s her name?” I ask him, because I need to see her.

 

“Jewel, Brian named her. Wait I have a picture in my phone of her, if you want to see her.” He tells me. He pulls up a picture of a beautiful little girl.

 

“Is the Michael guy… still involved?” I ask him while looking at my daughter.

 

“No, if Jewel had been Brian’s, you can bet your ass he would have played proud dad. Brian wasn't going to let Michael trap him with a kid, so he told Michael he wanted proof she was his. The minute the test came back Michael handed her over to your mother, because the baby ruined his plans. It’s funny because if Michael had thought about it, he could have had Brian dancing to his tune, Brian would do anything for Jewel.” Emmett tells me.

 

“What about the woman, Lindsay?” I ask him.

 

“She tried to say she didn’t know what Michael was doing that day. Which didn’t fool any of us, including her wife, Mel. When Brian found out the baby wasn’t his, he made Michael tell everyone the truth. The truth was that Michael thought Brian would marry him and he was willing to give Lindsay a paycheck for her help. Mel, Lindsay’s wife, left her and helped Brian to get custody of Gus. Mel didn’t want Gus around someone like Lindsay.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Was I friends with these people?’’ What kind of people did I know?

 

“I think she befriended you thinking you would convince Brian he owed it to her, for popping out his baby. The thing she didn’t get about you was that you wouldn’t help anybody to use Brian. That’s when she turned to Michael for help.” He tells me.

 

“Why didn’t Lindsay get pregnant? Instead of the Michael guy?” I ask him.

 

“Because it didn't work for her the first time.” He sneered at that, guess he doesn’t like Lindsay.

 

“So this Michael, I'm guessing didn't like that I lived with Brian?” I ask him.

 

“He would have been fine if you ended up like any other man Brian tricked with, but Brian never treated you that way, when you lived with him. Michael wanted you gone, because like everyone else, he could tell Brian cared about you.” He tells me.

 

“I just don’t understand why no one looked for me.” I tell him.

 

“At first Brian thought you'd call him, but after a week, he went to New York to look for you. He stayed as long as he could and kept going back on weekends, he had to stop when he got custody of the children. He did search for you, but like I said it was like you vanished, there was never even a sighting. I know he still has a detective searching for you.” He tells me.  

 

“What should I do? I want to meet my daughter but this is going to turn into a mess.” I tell him.

 

If we were planning a party, I’d be great at this.” He tells me. I must’ve looked confused because he says, “I’m an events planner. If you're willing to trust me, I could call Ted and Blake, they could give us some advice?” He asked me.

 

“If you think they can help with this mess, call them.” I tell him.

 

EMMETT

 

I get up and walk outside because I need to prepare Teddy for this.

 

“Emmett, where are you? You were supposed to be here an hour ago.” He tells me.

 

“I ran into someone…” I start to tell him, but Teddy spoke over me.

 

“I took the day off so we could plan the launch, Brian is going to kill me if I don’t get this right. He didn’t even want to take a vacation, because he was afraid I’d screw this up. It’s a huge account, I need you to stop hitting on who ever you ran into and get over here.” He tells me.

 

“Can I say something and you wait till I’m finished.” I tell him.

 

“As long as it’s not details on the guy’s dick.” He tells me.

 

“You know what, I was going to break this to you gently, but you deserve this, I just happen to be at the house of one Justin Taylor.” I announce. I wait for Teddy to say something and it’s silent.

 

“Um Emmett, what did you say to Ted?” Blake comes on.

 

“I told him that I’m standing in front of the house that Justin Taylor happens to live in.” I tell him.

 

“Where are you?” Blake asks me.

 

“A block from your house.” I tell him.

 

Blake asks for the address and tells me as soon as Ted gets over the shock, they would be on their way.



End Notes:

This is already to Chapter 6. If you really want more I'll post the next two chapters tomorrow.

Chapter 2 by starlight

TED

 

Blake told me to snap out of whatever fog I was in. I just kept thinking there was no way I heard Emmett right. It’s been five years. I have to be honest, I believed he was dead.

 

“Ted, we need to get over to Emmett’s.” He tells me.

 

“Did he tell you he was at Justin’s house?” I ask him. 

 

“Yes, and I told him we would be over there, so come on.” He tells me.

 

“I hope he has a good reason for leaving everyone worried.” I tell Blake. 

 

I had to watch Brian blame himself because Justin disappeared. Brian changed with every report that came in saying there were no leads. Every call from an unknown number became Justin for him. The disappointment when it wasn’t Justin, was devastating to watch. In my mind, Justin being dead was the only excuse for not letting someone know where he was. 

 

“Ted, at least give him a chance to explain before you judge him.” Blake tells me. 

 

“It better be good, because if he thinks we'll just forgive him for the devastation he left behind, fuck him. Unless I like what I hear, he’s not going near Brian.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm so glad you’re keeping an open mind about this.” He tells me. 

 

“You didn’t see Brian during that time, he was a wreck. Barely sleeping because he was afraid he’d miss a phone call, one that never fucking came.” I tell him. 

 

We pull up to one of the largest houses in our neighborhood. Emmett was standing on the porch waiting for us.

 

“Did he tell you where the hell he's been?” I ask him. 

 

“New York. Before you stick your foot in it, the reason he never contacted anyone was he doesn't remember us.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“That’s convenient, or a fucking excuse.” I tell him. 

 

“Trust me, the Justin I just met, isn't the guy we knew.” Emmett tells me. 

 

Emmett leads us into the fucking manor. Whatever happened, Justin seems to have come out well off. I had to reign in my inner asshole, because Emmett seemed to be protecting Justin. We get to the living room and there he sits, just as beautiful as he had been.

 

“Justin, this is Teddy and Blake.” Emmett tells him.

 

He looks at us and I start to believe Emmett. He stares at us like we are strangers.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, unless we’ve already met?” He asks us.

 

“I met you once, but I was a bit messed up at the time, so we never really talked to each other.” Blake tells Justin.

 

“Emmett told me that you guys might be able to help us decide on the best way to approach Brian, I want to meet my daughter.” Justin tells us.

 

“You told him about Jewel?” I ask Emmett.

 

“I told him the whole screwed up story, including the donation.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Do you think Brian would be open to letting me see her?” Justin asks me.

 

“I need to know if this amnesia thing is bullshit. Brian doesn’t need you fucking with his head, he’s been through enough. You seem to have landed on your feet, so if you're just trying to squirm your way back into his life, do him a favor and go back to where ever you were.” I tell him.

 

“You can call my agent Max Forester, he knows the whole story. Up until today I was going by Jay Thomas.” I tell him.

 

“Jay Thomas, isn’t he like a big artist?” Blake ask me.

 

“I’m an artist, and I do well.” Justin tell him.

 

“Isn’t that the painting…” I interrupt Emmett before he can tell Justin, Brian has the painting.

 

“Yes, it is.” I tell Emmett. 

 

“Um, if you don’t mind, can we get back to figuring out how I can meet my daughter?” Justin ask me.

 

“It might be better to get Brian to come here first. He is going to want answers from you, before he lets you near his daughter. Yes, I said his daughter, because Brian is that kid’s father.” I tell him, still not sure I believe what he is saying.

 

“Daddy, who are all these people, and why is that man angry at you?” I hear from the doorway.

 

I turn to see we have an even bigger mess than I first thought. 

 

“Is he?” I ask Justin.

 

“Emmett thinks he is.” Justin tells me.

 

“You don’t know?” I say, then realize if he had amnesia he wouldn’t. “Have you showed him Brian or Gus?” I ask Emmett.

 

“I should have thought of that, see that’s why I called you. I would have been rushing Justin into a car and we would have probably killed Brian and Jen with the shock of it all, if it were up to me. I tend to think in the minute you see… and nobody cares about that, right.” Emmett shrugs and takes out his phone to show Justin the picture. The kid climbs on Emmett’s lap to look. Guess he and Emmett became friends.

 

“Look daddy, I’m with the man in the picture.” The child tells Justin.

 

“No Aidan, that is Gussy and his dad Brian. You just look like him sweetie.” Emmett tells Aidan.

 

“Aidan? Have you told Justin?” I ask Emmett.

 

“Can you not speak in code? What should Emmett tell me?” Justin asks me.

 

“Baby, Brian’s middle name is Aidan.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Oh, I just liked the name, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw him.” Justin tells us.

 

“Look, I’m going to Brian’s house and talk to him. I’ll bring him here, if he is willing. Justin just don’t expect open arms from him.” I warn him. I’m afraid that Brian won’t care, if it means seeing Justin again.

 

“I don’t expect anything, but can you tell him about Aidan too. I don’t want him here if he isn’t going to welcome Aidan.” Justin tells me.

 

“Daddy, you aren’t bringing Kevin here are you? Cause he’s not nice.” Aidan tells Justin. 

 

“No, this is a friend of Emmett’s” Justin tells Aidan.

 

“You have nice friends don’t you?” Aidan asks Emmett.

 

“Auntie Em will protect you from all the meanies.” Emmett tells Aidan and starts tickling him.

 

BRIAN

 

I was outside with Jewel and Gus when Ted called me. He told me he and Blake were coming over to talk to me. Ted was smart enough to tell me it wasn’t the launch, because I wanted him to succeed, so I could take time off without worrying about Kinnetik.

 

“Everything okay?” Jen asks me.

 

“Ted just called to see if he and Blake could come over.” I tell her.

 

“If you need to go in, I’m free all day. I don’t mind staying with the kids.” Jen tells me.

 

“Hopefully, he just wants me to approve of his plans.” I tell her.

 

“Get the kids, I finished lunch.” Jen tells me.

 

I go outside to find Gus and Jewel, they were playing on the swing set when I left them. 

 

“Dad, Gus wants to play soccer.” Jewel tells me.

 

“First lunch with Grandma, then we’ll see.” I tell them. 

 

“Which means someone is coming over.” Gus tells Jewel.

 

“Uncle Ted and Uncle Blake are on their way.” I tell them.

 

“You promised to stay home this week.” Jewel tells me.

 

“I still plan on it, and just like I promised, you and Gus get to do what you want and I will suffer through it.” I tell her.

 

“I think we should make Dad take us to the mall.” Gus smirks at me.

 

“Why not just kill your father?” I ask them.

 

I turn and wait for the kids to follow me in. Jen had their sandwiches and drinks on the table. The kids sat with Grandma, and I went to answer the door. Ted was talking the minute I opened the door.

 

“Brian, I need you to stay calm. I just don’t know how to tell you this.” He tells me.

 

“How about taking a breath and spitting out whatever has you so worked up.” I tell him.

 

 

“Shit, um… you… Blake you tell him.” Ted tells Blake.

 

“Brian, is Ted okay?” Jen asks as she comes to see why Ted was fumbling with whatever was bothering him.

 

“Jen, um, well, she needs to know too.” He tells me.

 

“I’m sure she does, but since you haven’t said anything that makes sense yet, I couldn’t tell you.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett found something you’ve been looking for.” Blake tells me.

 

“Where is Emmett, and what was I looking for?” I ask Blake. This is worse than talking to Emmett.

 

“Can we sit down, I think you are going to need to.” Blake tells me.

 

“Can you get to the point before my vacation is over?” I ask them. It’s like pulling teeth.

 

“Just tell them.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“I’m going to be so bad at this, Emmett found Justin.” Ted announces.

 

“WHERE?” Jen yells.

 

“As strange as this sounds a block from my house.” Ted tells her.

 

“Get in the car.” I tell Ted.

 

“Brian, before you rush off, we need to tell you about him.” Ted tells me.

 

“I don’t fucking care, I… is he okay?” I ask.

 

“Yes and no, he’s physically fine, he just doesn’t remember his life here.” Ted tells me.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I ask him.

 

“Justin doesn’t even go by Justin. Emmett told us that Justin has amnesia, he only remembers his life in New York.” Ted tells me.

 

“He doesn’t remember me or Brian?” Jen asks Ted.

 

“Jen, he looked at me like I was a total stranger. I didn’t want to believe the amnesia thing but you’ll see when you meet him.” Ted tells her.

 

“There is something else Ted needs to mention.” Blake tells him.

 

“Brian, he has a son.” Ted tells me.

 

“You want to tell him the rest, because Aidan isn’t just Justin’s son.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“The child, Aidan, well unless Justin found someone who looks exactly like you to have the kid with, Aidan has to be yours.” Ted tells me.

 

“Justin knows about Jewel too, and he asked to meet her. He told me to tell you if you can’t welcome Aidan, don’t come to his house.” Ted tells me.

 

“What’s the address?” I ask him.

 

“Brian.” Ted says.

 

“Either we go now or you give me the address. I’ve waited five years for Justin, don’t make me wait any longer.” I tell him.

 

“Do you want me to stay here with the kids?” Blake asks me.

 

“I need to see my son.” Jen said with tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

“Brian, it might be better for you not to have to worry about Gus and Jewel.” Ted tells me.

 

“How are we going to explain about Jewel to Justin?” Jen asks, she had gone back to check on the kids when Ted mentioned that Justin knows about her.

 

“Emmett already did that for you.” Blake tells us.

 

I’ve had enough of waiting on them to get me to Justin. “Blake stay with the kids, and Ted get in the fucking car.” I tell him.

 

I go to the kitchen to tell Gus and Jewel that I have to go see an old friend, not work. Then grab Ted and start shoving him out the door, Jen is already waiting by the car. I will finally know what happened all those years ago.

 

 

 


Chapter 3 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I needed to prepare Aidan, but at four it wasn’t going to be something he could easily understand. I also need to call Max because he would kick my ass if I left him out of the loop. 

 

“Aidan, Ted is going to bring some people over to meet us.” I tell him. 

 

“Aunty Em’s friends?” He asks me. 

 

“Yes, but one of the people is your other dad.” I tell him. 

 

“I have another daddy?” He asks me. 

 

“Yes and a Grandmother too.” I tell him. 

 

“Where did they come from?” He asks me. 

 

“Remember when I told you I was lost and couldn’t find home?” I ask him. 

 

“Cause you lost your marbles, and couldn't find them.” He tells me. 

 

“Where did you hear that?” I ask him.

 

“Uncle Max.” He tells me. 

 

“When did he tell you that?” I ask him. 

 

“He said it when you told him we were moving here. I asked him why he was upset, he said that if you thought finding a home in the Pitts was a great idea, you have really lost your marbles, and hopes you find them, before he has to lose us to this God… um it was a word you said I couldn't say, place.” He tells me. 

 

“Daddy is going to talk to Max about that, but I used to live here. When I did, according to Aunty Em, I had a family and friends. One of the friends I had is your other dad.” I tell him.

 

“Why do I need another Daddy?” He asks me.

 

“You don’t need one but you have one. He’s the man you saw on Aunty Em’s phone.” I tell him.

 

“He’s coming here?” He asks me,

 

“Yes, but because I don’t remember him or my mom, it might get…” I don’t know what to call it.

 

“It might be a little hard on everyone, because we all remember your daddy, even though he doesn’t remember us.” Emmett tells Aidan.

 

“Are they going to yell? Because I don’t like that.” He tells Emmett.

 

“No Baby, they are just going to expect me to be the person they knew, but I don’t remember who that person is.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t worry Daddy, you can knock them the… you know what… out if they treat me bad.” He tells me. I really have to stop talking in front of him.

 

“Aunty Em will help.” Emmett tells him.

 

I ask Emmett to watch Aidan while I call Max, because I need to have someone on my side in this, and my brother is the only person I could think of.

 

“You’re calling to tell me you want to move back. I’ll have a moving truck there in an hour.” Max tells me.

 

“No, I’m not moving back.” I tell him.

 

“Jay, I miss my Aidan. I was going to come and beg you to move back. I dropped Kevin like a bad habit.” He tells me.

 

“Why? I thought you saw potential in him.” I ask him. Okay, so I wasn’t sad to hear Kevin was gone, sue me, he was an asshole.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me he was treating my baby badly?” He asks me.

 

“He wasn’t hurting Aidan, he just wanted us out of your life.” I tell him.

 

“I kicked his ass out when he said that he was glad you and your bastard were gone.” He tells me.

 

“He said that to you?” I ask him.

 

“No, he was telling his hag over the phone. I overheard it, so out he went, but that isn’t why you called. What’s happening in the Pitt of hell?” He asks me.

 

“Well, I met someone I used to know.” I tell him.

 

“You mean other people leave here to go to that place?” He asks me.

 

“No, I mean people who lived here when I apparently did.” I tell him.

 

“Jay, don’t let gold diggers try to worm their way into your life.” He tells me.

 

“It’s Justin, and he knows my mother and Aidan’s father.” I tell Max.

 

“I’m catching the next flight out. I don’t care what they are telling you, you're no longer the homeless person I met. With your portfolio, all kinds of people come out of the woodwork. We put in your bio that you didn’t know your biological family. All it takes is one person looking for a paycheck and suddenly you're their long lost relative.” He tells me.

 

“The guy who is Aidan’s dad looks like an older version of Aidan.” I tell him.

 

“Did he seem familiar?” He asks me.

 

“No, he didn’t. Although he’s gorgeous.” I tell him. 

 

“All con’s are good looking, did you get a name?” He asks me.

 

“Wait, I’ll ask Emmett.” I walk back into the living room. 

 

“Look Daddy, Aunty Em is making me a castle.” Aidan tells me.

 

“I thought we could spruce up the box, since he wants to sit in it.” Emmett tells me and continues to draw on it.

 

“Emmett, what is Brian’s full name?” I ask him.

 

“Brian Aidan Kinney.” He tells me.

 

“Brian Aidan Kinney.” I tell Max.

 

“I’m looking up the name, give me a minute.” He tells me.

 

“Justin why did you want to know?” Emmett asks me.

 

“My agent is worried, he just wants to put names and faces together, before he gets here.” I tell him.

 

“More like make sure the people aren’t criminals looking for a paycheck.” Max mutters into the phone.

 

“Tell him to look up Kinnetik.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Emmett says to look up Kinnetik.” I tell Max.

 

“Um Jay, if Brian is who owns Kinnetik, you don’t need to worry about him. Hold on, you said they called you Justin?” He ask me.

 

“Yeah, Justin Taylor.” I tell him.

 

“There’s a link to a site with your name on it. Holy shit, you have to see this, get on your computer.” He tells me.

 

I walk to my desk and look up Kinnetik. “Okay I’m on the site.” I tell him.

 

“Look for your name on the sidebar.” He tells me.

 

I find my name and click on it. When the page loads it’s pictures of me and the banner reads ‘Have you seen me’.

 

“Brian must have gotten every picture taken of you to post on there. He made us all find anything you were in. Daphne, the girl in this picture, took most of these.” He tells me.

 

I was staring at the picture of Brian holding me from behind and we are both looking at something. “Where was this taken?” I point to it.

 

“It was at the GLC, you had drawings entered into a contest. Daphne took it because she said you both looked as if you were more than fu… buddies.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“You are a lucky cow, if that's your man. I mean how do you forget that?” Max asks me.

 

I kept looking at the stranger in the photos, they're all me, but it's like looking at someone else. These were pieces of my life, but none of it was familiar. 

 

“I just booked a flight, stay at your house till I get there.” Max tells me.

 

“There's more.” I tell him. 

 

“You left him knocked up too?” Max jokes.

 

“In a way, I have a daughter.” I tell him.

 

“Um you want to explain that?” Max asks me.

 

“It’s really fucked up, but one of Brian’s friends thought he was getting Brian’s babymakers. Instead they stole mine.” I tell him.

 

“You know what, wait for me. I have a feeling you need help.” Max tells me. 

 

Max tells me his flight information, before hanging up. I was going to look at the site some more but there was a knock on the door. 

 

“I’ll get it, you take care of Aidan.” Emmett tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

Jen was full of questions, but Ted didn’t have a lot of answers.

 

“I only know what I told you.” Ted tells her.

 

“Does he look alright?” She asks him.

 

“His hair is longer but other than that he looks like the same person who disappeared. It’s like he didn’t age.” Ted tells her.

 

We pulled up in front of the house, and I couldn’t move. I spent years hoping that Justin would come back to me. Now all I have to do is go in the door, no more waiting for a report, praying the phone call was him, or dreaming and wishing that I had done something different that day. Why did material possessions matter? I kicked out the first person I wanted to have more than a night with, all because I was scared to let him in.

 

“Brian, are you ready?” Ted asks me.

 

“Oh God, he’s really in there.” Jen stood next to the car staring at the door.

 

I get my legs to move and head to the door. When Emmett answered I was afraid that somehow it was a bad joke and Justin wouldn’t be there. 

 

“Hey, I left him in the room with Aidan. Just don’t go in there and expect him to remember anything. We are all strangers to him.” Emmett tells me.

 

I nod and follow behind Emmett. We walk through the house and even if Justin doesn’t remember us, the house is Justin. Everything is about comfort, not design. I stop to look at the pictures and paintings on the walls. I wonder why he didn’t hang his own paintings on the wall. It’s the picture of Justin holding a baby that captures my attention. I start looking at the pictures of the baby aging on the walls.

 

“I have more if you want to see them.” Justin tells us from the entrance to the living room.

 

“JUSTIN, I… it’s… I know you don’t know me, but is it… okay for me to hold you?” Jen asks him.

 

Justin seems reluctant but allows Jen to hug him.

 

“I can’t seem to let you go.” Jen tells him.

 

“You smell so familiar.” Justin tells her breathing her in. 

 

Jen ends up crying harder. I watch her and I don’t know what to do. I want to hold him and shake him at the same time. 

 

“Daddy, why is the woman crying?” A little boy asks Justin.

 

“I’m just so happy to see your Daddy, he’s been gone for a long time.” Jen kneels down to look at… my son.

 

“If you so happy, why are you crying?” He asks Jen.

 

“Aidan, it’s you’re not you.” Justin tells him.

 

I watch my son roll his eyes. “Will it help if I give you a hug? Daddy says it always makes everything better.” Aidan tells Jen.

 

“I would love that, I’m Jen or…” She looks up at Justin.

 

“This is your Grandmother.” Justin tells Aidan.

 

“You don’t look old, grandmothers are supposed to look old.” He informs her.

 

“Your dad is really young.” She tell Aidan.

 

Aidan lets Jen pick him up, and I watch as he kisses her cheeks and rubs his nose with hers.

 

“Daddy likes the nosy kiss.” He tells her.

 

“I like them too.” She tell him.

 

“Is that my other dad?” He whispers to Justin, or at least he thinks he did.

 

I was surprised that Justin told him about me at all. I wanted Aidan to know, but I was willing to take it slowly, and not confuse Aidan. 

 

“Why don’t you ask him.” Justin tells Aidan.

 

Aidan gets Jen to put him down and walks up to me.

 

“Are you my dad?” He asks me.

 

I kneel down so we are at eye level. “I really am.” I tell him.

 

“Are you gonna live with us?” He asks me.

 

“Aidan, can you at least get to know him before you move him in?” Justin asks him.

 

“I live with your brother and sister, but I think we could see a lot of each other.” I tell him.

 

“I gots.. I mean got a brother and sister?” Aidan asks me.

 

“Yes.” I tell him.

 

“Where are they?” He asks me.

 

“At my house, but if your Dad will let you, we could all have dinner together, so you could meet Gus and Jewel.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett, can you take my… mom and Aidan to the kitchen, it’s time for Aidan to have his snack.” Justin tells Emmett.

 

Emmett takes the hint and starts trying to get Jen to the kitchen. She grabs Justin and hugs him again, then takes Aidan’s hand and they follow Emmett. Ted stands there for a moment, like a guard dog, but takes the hint that I want him gone too. It’s just Justin and I looking at each other.

 

“Justin.” I start to say.

 

“I go by Jay, Justin is going to take some getting used too.” He tells me.

 

“Jay?” I ask him.

 

“When I woke up in the alley, the only thing I could find was the J on my belt buckle. So Jay. Well Jay Thomas, my agent wanted something better than Smith.” He tells me.

 

“That explains the house, so you became an Artist, you always wanted that.” I tell him.

 

“I did? At least something was the same.” He tells me.

 

“You were always drawing, I used to feel like I needed to ask if I could move when you started sketching.” I tell him, smiling at the memory.

 

“Aidan get’s stuck sitting around a lot, he’s my favorite subject.” Justin tells me.

 

“Is it just you and Aidan?” I ask him. I know we aren’t going to just fly in each other's arms but I need to know who I have to get rid of.

 

“I lived with my agent Max, until we moved here.” He tells me. 

 

“Bad breakup?” I hope so.

 

“Max has only ever been my agent, not that his psycho boyfriends ever believe it.” He tells me and I am relieved.

 

“I want to say this to you, even if it doesn’t make any sense to you. I need you to forgive me for throwing you away.” I tell him.

 

“I can forgive you, but I don’t remember it. I would hope that if I had been able to come home we could have worked it out. I don’t know what I was feeling then, but I want to believe that we could have worked it out.” He tells me.

 

“I would have done anything to change that day.” I tell him.

 

“We can’t change what happened, but we can go forward, I want to meet my daughter.” He tells me.

 

“I need to talk to her, she hasn’t had an easy time with all the shit that happened with Michael. They did tell you about Michael?” I ask him.

 

“Does he bother her?” Justin ask me.

 

“He isn’t allowed anywhere near her. I used to let his mother see Jewel, but she lied to me, and I stopped her from seeing Jewel or Gus.” I tell him.

 

“What did she do?” Justin asks me.

 

“She was taking the kids to see Lindsay and Michael. Which is against my rules, but Deb thinks we are being harsh to the other parents.” I tell him.

 

“Why would she take them to see parents who, from the way it sounds, don’t care?” He asks me.

 

“She does what she wants, damn the consequences. I think it was more her trying to get Michael to act like a father to Jewel.” I tell him.

 

“The time to be a father is the minute they’re born, not when it’s convenient.” Justin tells me.

 

“We have a lot to talk about, but right now I want to spend time with Aidan. Can I take him to my house to meet the other kids? I need to talk to Jewel and Gus before you come over.” I tell him.

 

“I can stay here and wait for Max, and I want to spend time with my mom alone. I think she needs it. Is she always so emotional?” He asks me.

 

“She’s a tough woman normally, but give Mom a break, you came back from the dead.” I tell him.

 

“It’s like that for me too, until this afternoon, it was just me and Aidan. Now it’s like I have all these people who are family in some way.” Justin tells me.

 

“Nothing about me seems familiar?” I ask him.

 

“I want it to, but no.” He tells me.

 

“Your mother smelled familiar?” I ask him.

 

“It was just like a scent that I could remember.” He tells me.

 

As I start walking towards him he backs up until he is against the wall. I lean down and smell him, it’s Justin but with a difference. I look into the eyes that use to stare at me as if I was the end and the beginning for him. The lust is still there but the worship isn’t, instead I see a hesitant interest, I could work with that. 

 

“Do I smell familiar?” I whisper in his ear.

 

“Good… really… fucking… good.” He tells me.

 

I wrapped him in my arms, because we could work on the rest later, but I needed to feel him. Justin slowly wrapped his arms around me, and for the first time in five years I felt at peace. 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Aidan was sitting in the backseat with Emmett. I was going to sit with him but he didn't seem very comfortable with me yet. Emmett volunteered to sit with him.

 

“Did you know I had a grandmother?” Aidan asks Emmett. 

 

“Yes I did.” Emmett tells him. 

 

“Did you know that grandmother's smell good?” He asks Emmett. 

 

“Your grandmother just wears a nice scent. She always did.” Emmett tells him. 

 

“Do you like how she smells?” He asks me. 

 

“Grandma Jen does smell nice.” I tell him. 

 

I always liked that Jen never overpowered us with her perfume. It was the way I always know she’s somewhere near, because the light floral scent is in the air. It was the first thing I noticed about her. I was so used to Deb's perfume taking over the room that Jen’s always seemed less invasive. It was like the cologne I used to use, it just enhanced my natural scent. I still remember catching Justin sniffing it in the bathroom and telling me it smelled different when I wore it. Could that be why I’m not familiar to him, because I don’t use it anymore? 

 

“Ted, I need to stop at the store I buy my cologne and soaps at.” I tell him.

 

“You really want to go shopping?” He asks me.

 

“Just fucking go there.” I tell him. 

 

“My new Dad just said a bad word.” Aidan whispers to Emmett.

 

“He is really serious about his shopping.” Emmett tells Aidan.

 

“Daddy said bad words when Kevin was around.” He tells Emmett.

 

“Who’s Kevin?” I ask him.

 

“Uncle Max said Kevin was a distraction. Daddy said he was Uncle Max’s boyfriend. Me and Daddy didn’t like him very much.” Aidan tells me.

 

Ted pulls up and I run in and get all the items I used when Justin was with me. I want to see if they jar anything from Justin’s memory. I wanted him to tell me I was familiar, because he might be here physically, but it’s like he’s still lost. I was praying that we would see each other and he would just remember me, because he has haunted me for years.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

My mom was sitting with me but it was still awkward. I was trying to think of something to say to her.

 

“Would you like to meet your sister and maybe your friend Daphne?” She asks me.

 

“I wouldn’t know what to say to them. It’s hard, because I can see you trying to figure out something to do, and hoping I’ll remember you. I just want to apologize for the hurt I see in your eyes.” I tell her.

 

“I can deal with it, because your home. Don’t apologize for something you don't have any control over. If we have to start from here, and build a relationship, we will.” She tells me. 

 

“Tell me about you, and don't hide anything. I promise not to judge you.” She tells me. 

 

“Where do you want me to start?” I ask her.

 

“I want to hear all of it.” She begs me.

 

“I woke up in an alley in New York, that’s the first thing I can remember. I don’t know how I got there or why I was there. I spent a few months living on the streets, I got day jobs and lived the best I could. When I found out I was pregnant, I started staying at shelters. I was worried about the winter coming and wanted some place I could at least stay warm. They helped me get a job cleaning a gallery at night, which is where I met Max, my agent. Max encouraged me to keep creating and wanted to help me. I resisted for a while but the day I had Aidan, I knew I couldn’t take him to the shelter, so I took Max up on his offer to let us live with him. Max told me that his only condition was that I work on my art. It’s why I show exclusively at his gallery. Max and I became like brothers and raised Aidan. I could have moved out sooner but Aidan really loves Max. I moved here because we passed through here once and I felt like I belonged here. We really just moved here a week ago. Can you tell me about Jewel and how Brian ended up with her?” I ask her.

 

“I didn’t find out about Jewel until Brian called and asked me to come to the hospital for a test. I think he was worried about how I would feel seeing all of them. I was in contact with Brian, but it was to see if there was anything about you. I blamed them all for your disappearance. I ran into Brian at the store and he was like a shell of the man I used to know. At the time he was having problems with Deb, Michael, and Lindsay. I took him home with me and made him sleep, because he was running on adrenalin. When he woke up he told me about Michael being pregnant and that Michael claimed it was his. Then he told me about how Michael got himself pregnant, and let you take the blame for the alarm. Brian kept telling me it was all his fault you were gone. I've never been able to get him to forgive himself for what happened that day. When Jewel was born, he forced them to take the test, because he wanted his name on the birth certificate. He already planned to sue for custody, citing theft. Only the test can back and he wasn’t the father. He called me and explained there was only one other person it could be, you. I was the only one they could test against. Michael had already abandoned Jewel at that point. Brian was staying at the hospital with her, and fell hopelessly in love with her. When I got the news, it was like we got a piece of you back. Brian wanted to raise her, and we got Michael to sign her over to us. She reminds us of you in little ways. She has your smile and eyes.” She tells me.

 

“Brian told me that Michael’s mother is a problem?” I ask.

 

“Deb and I aren’t grandmothers sharing stories about our granddaughter. She seems to think that Brian and Michael should raise Jewel together. Deb blames Brian for what happened with you, and thinks her son should get a free pass for trying to force Brian into a relationship. She feels I’m to blame for not letting Jewel be with her ‘real family’ and Brian alienating her from Michael. I got tired of listening to her and told her to go pamper the lying little shit she raised. One thing you need to know about her is that if you don’t do what she wants, you’re wrong. She constantly reminds Brian and I that we owe her for taking you in at one time. I told her that since I had to pay her to keep you, I think I paid my dues. Brian owes her because she let him come to her house when he was trying to avoid his father’s fist. Everyone owes St Debbie.” She tells me.

 

“I’ve been hearing about these people and they just don’t sound real.” I tell her.

 

The doorbell rings and I get up to answer it and end up with an armful of Max.

 

“I hate you for moving, if I could run a gallery here, well, I wouldn’t, but that’s not the point. Where’s my Aidan and what about the insta-family.” He blurts out. 

 

“I let Brian take Aidan to meet my daughter. I wanted to wait for you before I go over there, and Brian wanted a chance to tell Jewel about me. My mom is here, want to meet her?” I ask him and start walking toward the living room.

 

“You got to see the yummy Brian, was it like in that movie I saw where you like suddenly remember everyone? I mean it would suck if you're hanging out with him and you don’t remember. I would want to remember, it would finally end your long dry spell. Are you sure you have another kid, or do you think they just want to dump the kid on you…?” I had to stop him, this is Max, he tells you whatever has been percolating in his head and asks questions in between the dialogue.

 

“Can you slow down? First, no I didn’t remember anything. My mom smelled familiar, but not Brian. My daughter was tested against my mom and I doubt they are trying to ‘dump’ Jewel on me, since they have custody of her and have been raising her.” I tell him as we reach the living room.

 

“Max this is my mom, Jen Taylor. Mom this is my agent and best friend Max.” I tell them.

 

“Okay, I’ll believe that you're his mom, but can you tell me how a kid gets named Jewel? Why didn’t you ever like put Jay’s picture on the news or a milk carton? See I told you you came from breeding, your mom is like really refined. Wait, how old is your daughter? Because if they stole your sperm, and that is the only scenario I came up with, it had to be a fresh sample. Unless you were bumping uglies with the father. Which you wouldn’t remember, because well, you don’t remember shit about anything before.” He tells us.

 

“They stole the sperm from a used condom.” I tell him. He looks at my mom.

 

“Oh, you want me to talk?” She ask Max.

 

“I asked you questions, so yes, talk away.” Max tells her.

 

“I wasn’t sure we were supposed to participate, but in answer to why Jewel, Brian said she was the most precious thing he held, so Jewel. We did put Justin’s picture on the news, but if Justin was on the streets, he wouldn’t have had access to the most media. The news doesn’t run missing persons for longer than there is interest. When no leads panned out, as in there were no leads, they stopped putting it on the news.” She tells Max.

 

“Can you hold your questions? I’m worried about Aidan, he isn’t used to being away from me, unless it was with you. I’m desperate to see my daughter.” I tell him.

 

Max wanted to see Aidan and was curious about Jewel, so he held the questions. I let my mom drive, because I was nervous about meeting my daughter and didn’t even know where Brian lived. When she pulled into the driveway, I looked at the place my child lived without me.

 

“Brian used to live in a loft, but with the kids and wanting to get away from the others, he bought this house.” Mom tells me.

 

I get out of the car and start walking to the door that has my children on the other side. When I got to the door, it opened, revealing a wet, half dressed Brian.

 

“Jay, if you don’t want him, can you help a brother out?” Max asks me.

 

“In case you are wondering, this is Max.” My mom tells Brian.

 

I was staring at Brian, and something was different about him. 

 

“Why don’t you come in Justin?” Brian asks me. 

 

As I walked past him, I realized I knew that smell. He stood still and let me come closer. I breathed in his scent and it was familiar. I wanted to stand there and breathe him in because I remembered his smell.

 

“Something familiar?” Brian whispers into my ear.

 

I nodded, “Something familiar.” I tell him.

 

“Can I try one more thing?” He asks me. I nod at him. Brian lowers his head and seals his lips over mine. I reached up and ran my hands through his hair and even the feel was familiar. I wanted to keep kissing his soft lips but I heard giggling and turn to see three little face looking around the corner at us. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I finally managed to let Brian go, and looked at the face of my daughter. She was more beautiful than her pictures. She looked at me curiously, but instead of saying anything to me, turned to talk to Aidan.   

 

“Is that Daddy?” Jewel asks Aidan. 

 

“That’s Daddy, but why is he kissing new Dad?” Aidan ask Gus.

 

“Dad, why are you kissing him?” Gus ask Brian. 

 

“I was saying hello to him.” Brian tells him. 

 

“Daddy, are we supposed to kiss hello? You never told me.” Aidan tells me. 

 

“Um you could kiss your Uncle Max hello.” Max tells Aidan.

 

“UNCLE MAX, I missed you.” Aidan runs to him and smothers him in kisses.

 

“I came to see if you wanted to leave your daddy.” Max teases Aidan. 

 

“If I left Daddy, I wouldn’t have met the new kids and all these other people. Why don’t you leave Kevin and come live with us?” Aidan offers.

 

Brian didn’t seem to like that idea, but Max is part of our lives and he is going to have to accept Aidan loving Max. Max is the only family Aidan and I have had, and I won’t alienate him to make anyone happy.

 

“How was the talk with the kids?” I ask him. 

 

“They are four and five, they just think we added to the family. Aidan has been deferring to Gus, and doesn’t seem jealous of Jewel.” He tells me.

 

“What have they been doing?” I ask him.

 

“They took off to play, like they all were just instantly friends.” He tells me.

 

“It’s how kids operate, they play and decide if they like each other.” My mom tells us.

 

“Aidan hasn’t had a lot of friends his age.” I tell them.

 

“Yeah, Jay and I tended to keep him to ourselves. So why don’t we let the kids play and we talk about how you managed to lose Jay. Unless I like what I hear, I'm not going to let them end up regretting letting you near them, I’ll take them where you can’t find them.” Max tells them.

 

“But Uncle Max, I have friends, I want to stay.” Aidan tells him.

 

“I want you to be able to, but no one is going to hurt you or your daddy.” Max tells him.

 

“Jewel wants a Daddy too, can’t we take Jewel and Gus and Aunty Em, and New Dad and Grandma. If the Teddy man gets nicer he could come too, but I like Blake, so he could come too.” Aidan tells him.

 

“We might as well stay Aiddy, I don’t know if my island is big enough for all those people.” He tells Aidan.

 

“You own an island?” Gus asks him.

 

“No, but if I did I doubt it would be big enough to contain all the people Aiddy wants.” Max smiles at Gus.

 

“You can’t take my new daddy and brother away from me.” Jewel tells him and runs to me wrapping her arms around my legs.

 

I reached out my arms to see if she would let me hold her. She looked at Brian, who nodded and she let me pick her up.

 

“Where have you been?” Is the first thing she said to me.

 

“I was… lost for a while.” I tell her.

 

“You couldn’t find your mommy?” She asks me.

 

“No, but I wish I could have.” I tell her.

 

“Why?” She asks me.

 

“I would have wanted to see you and your brother growing up.” I tell her.

 

“You know Gussy?” She was all serious. I was trying to figure out a way to answer that when Gus surprises me.

 

“Daddy named me. Right Dad, remember Mommy couldn’t decide and you let him name me.” Gus tells Brian.

 

“I did?” I ask Brian.

 

“I asked you and you told us that you wouldn’t...” I interrupt him.

 

“Wouldn’t survive a day in school being named Abraham… but Gus is nice.” I say to him. Then realize that Brian is looking at me strangely. “What?” I ask him.

 

“That is what you said to us at the hospital.” He tells me.

 

“It just popped in my head.” I tell him. Unfortunately that happens sometimes, but I don’t get anything else from it.

 

“That happens to Jay sometimes, but he never remembers why he says things.” Max explains to Brian.

 

“Maybe it’s Baby trying to remember.” Emmett tells us. 

 

“But he doesn’t remember or at least he hasn’t, and who are you? What is with all the good looking men in the Pitts? I would have moved here if I knew they grow them like this. Shit, do you realize that you now have three kids? You think raising Aidan was hard, but raising three who are all the same age is going to be like a circus.” Max tells us.

 

“You had to find Emmett’s twin brother?” Brian asks me.

 

“Um, like that would really be all eewww, since I’m picturing Emmett in a very unbrotherly like way. Well actually I’m picturing you both in a very unbrotherly way, but you don’t seem to be looking away from Jay so why waste the time with you. So, where is Jewel’s other father? I plan on kicking the fuc… guy in the as… butt.” He tells everyone.

 

“I’m right here and that is all my children ever need to know.” Brian seems to be warning Max.

 

BRIAN

 

Max is going to have to understand that Jewel doesn’t need Michael fucking with her head. It’s going to cause a shitstorm when the Novotny’s find out Justin is back. I wanted to keep that from happening as long as possible, because Justin doesn’t know them and isn’t ready for Deb trying to play the caring mother figure. She would do that to try to get Justin to let her have her and Michael’s way.

 

“Yes you are, and trust me when I say, this it goes against every gay gene in my body, but could you put on a shirt, you’re kind of distracting. Since Jay isn’t into sharing, it would help me get my mind on something other than… well, where it is.” Max tells me.

 

“Where is it?” Jewel asks Max.

 

“In fantasy land, and Uncle Max needs to be able to talk to your Dad, without thinking of the possibilities.” He tells Jewel.

 

“Daddy, what are possibilities? Why are you crying?” She asks Justin. 

 

“I’m just really happy.” He tells her.

 

“Happy people smile, like this.” Jewel smiles her Justin smile at him. 

 

“Good God, you do own a shotgun Brian? Because that smile makes men want to do anything for Jay, and on her it’s going to cause a riot. Of course with all the beautiful kids you and Jay create, you two are going to have your hands full.” He tells me. 

 

“Not that I won’t be there to help you, because Jewel needs her Uncle Maxie.” Max tells us.

 

“Are you my Uncle too?” Gus ask him.

 

“Of course dear Gussy, there is enough of me to go around. Aunty Em can share me too.” He just earned points for including Gus and hitting on Emmett. 

 

Emmett and Jen get everyone to go into the kitchen, I wanted Justin to myself for a minute. After he released Jewel, I grabbed him to come with me. Justin was so interested in watching Jewel that he didn’t realize I pulled him into my bedroom.

 

“Is there a reason we’re in your bedroom?” Justin asks me.

 

“I wanted to put on a shirt and talk, without everyone else.” I tell him.

 

“Okay.” He starts looking around my room.

 

“I guess I want to know if you prefer Jay or Justin?” I ask him.

 

“Jay is who I am, Justin is like this person who was once me. It might be better to have people calling me Justin here. I have to get used to it.” He tells me.

 

“I know you said Max is only a friend, but I have to admit it’s hard for me to watch Aidan treat Max the way I want to be treated.” I tell him. I refuse to hide my feelings anymore, I want a chance at a fresh start with Justin. He might not remember me but I still love him.

 

“Max helped me raise Aidan, yes, but you need to understand that he also kept us from living in a shelter. He could have left us to figure it out, but Max has a wonderful heart and cares too much to turn his back on someone.” Justin tells me. He was looking at a painting on the wall, so he didn’t see how hard that was for me to hear. What had I done, but turn my back on him?

 

“I’ve regretted that for the last five years.” I tell him.

 

“What? Wait, that wasn’t about you. From what I’ve heard, you didn’t just accept I was gone, you searched for me.” He tells me.

 

“I never found you.” I tell him.

 

“I stayed away from people, nobody wanted a homeless person near them. I learned to not look people in the eye and to hide in plain site, to avoid being kicked out of places. When I started showing my work it took a lot of convincing for Max to get me to do it. I was still having issues with people not treating me like I was scum. I still have problems with it, I just learned not to think that people could see the homeless guy, dressed up.” He tells me.

 

“I kicked you out and in a way forced that life on you.” I need him to blame me.

 

“No, apparently I ran away instead of doing what an adult would do, which would have been force you to listen. Brian, my life wasn’t horrible, it just wasn’t always good. You seem to be apologizing like something would have changed what I did, which it seems was to run from you. Don’t you see if I had stayed here things would have been different? You need to stop blaming yourself for something that both of us played a part in. Plus, if it helps, I don’t remember any of it, so truthfully you're starting to sound like a twat.” He tells me with a smile.

 

“It’s just I want us to be able to pick up where we left off, but I can see you backing away.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not backing away, but I don’t know you. What if the person I am isn’t the person you fell in love with?” He asks me.

 

“Or you don’t like the person you fell in love with, because everything wasn’t wine and roses. I pushed you away and fucked men in front of you. I treated you as if you weren’t anything but an annoyance to me.” I tell him the whole truth, because someone is going to tell him these things.

 

“I don’t know the answers but I can tell you there is something about you that makes me want to try.” He tells me.

 

“I succeed, not try.” I warn him.

 

“Well you’d better impress me and Aidan, because we are hard to sell bullshit to.” He tells me.

 

I’m going to have the campaign of my life, because I am no longer looking at the kid who saw me as a God and worshiped me no matter what I did to him. Justin expects more than the shitty guy yanking him around, because he is a street kid who made it out of the hell his life was, and that is where we can find common ground. At least he looked disappointed when I was finally dressed, it’s a start.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

Justin smiles as he leaves the bedroom, but I now had hope that we could work to make a better relationship than the one we had. It was time to face Uncle Max. Walking into the kitchen, I noticed the kids weren’t there.

 

“Where are the kids?” I ask them.

 

“The marvelous Jewel is trying to convince Aidan that Teddy isn't a jackass. She told Teddy he had to play with them. By the way, I'm in love with your children. I might have to convince them to run away with me.” Max tells us. 

 

“That’s Jewel, wanting everyone to love each other.” Emmett tells us. 

 

“It would help if Teddy didn’t look like he has a stick up his ass. I mean look at the man he landed. I'd be like a baboon, shaking my ass for Blake.” Max tells us. 

 

“Baboon, really?” Emmett asks him.

 

“Honey, they shake their asses at everyone. Since we are childless and I can finally say what I think. Explain to me how none of you were able to find Jay? He’s been in the arts section of the papers, so it’s not like you couldn’t have stumbled on him.” Max tells us.

 

“If I saw an article with Justin Taylor listed, I would have been at your gallery the minute I saw it.” I tell him.

 

“Yet you bought his painting, but never wanted to meet the artist?” Max tells us.

 

“You bought one of my paintings?” Justin asks me.

 

“Yes, but no one could locate you at the gallery before I had to leave.” I tell him.

 

“Which one?” Justin asks me.

 

“Haunted.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks me.

 

“It was what I became, a man looking for something. You haunted me.” I tell him.

 

“OKAY, so I’ll let go that you weren’t looking. Emmett and Mom filled me in on the whole ‘sperm heist’. Why aren’t they in jail? Not that anyone would care that they stole jizz, but I just want them to suffer for causing Jay to have to live thinking he was alone in the world. Are they going to be a problem, because I have all sorts of lawyers on speed dial and they would make mincemeat out of the besties.” Max tells us.

 

“They aren’t allowed near the kids, not that Michael even cares about Jewel. Lindsay is the one we have to constantly fight.” I tell Max.

 

“Why? You have custody, or is that a problem?” Max asks me.

 

“I have custody, but courts like her, she can put on a show that makes her seem so innocent. When she remembers Gus, it’s back to court, until she finds something new to do, then she drops it like she never caused all the grief.” I tell him.

 

“She’s one of those. You know Max, like Liddy, one minute pretending we are all just marvelous friends, then shit talking about me behind my back.” Justin tells Max.

 

“Yeah, she’s a cunt. She comes to New York, fucks with Justin and sleeps with another artist in a show with Justin. Then tries to get the other guy or girl to spread shit about Justin around. I finally had to tell the other artists that if they help Liddy, they were out of the show. They know what side their bread is buttered on because Justin is a main attraction at the shows, and only helps their careers.” Max tells us.

 

“Well Lindsay is the same way. She get’s Deb and Michael to help her make me sound like a bad father. Then just vanishes when she knows she isn’t going to win.” I tell them.

 

“Just say the word, I have people who can pull every skeleton out of her closet.” Max tells us.

 

“I guess we need to talk about how we are going to work at being fathers to the kids.” Justin tells me.

 

“We adapt to changing how we were doing it. I’m off all week, so whatever works for you will work for me.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett and I can watch the kiddies, if you two want to go out and get to know each other.” Max winks at Emmett.

 

“Grandma can watch the kids, because you and Emmett would need adult supervision, while the kids would get an education that I’m not ready to explain to my grandchildren.” Mom tells Max.

 

“I’m a very responsible person, ask Jay. Aidan survived without a scratch when I watched him.” Max tells her.

 

“Only because Aidan was asleep when I left him.” Justin tells Max.

 

Just watching Justin and Max talk put my fears to rest, they were like Emmett and I, close but not too close.

 

Maybe having Max around when I can’t be will keep Justin safe from the others, that would be a good thing. Although, Justin doesn’t seem to need it. He seems to handle things as they come, and he’s got a tougher side to him. He's not the kid who left here.

 

JUSTIN 

 

I honestly don't give a shit about the people who caused my life to change. As long as they leave my family alone, I'll spare them from the massive shit storm I can rain down on their heads. I'm not a homeless guy, praying for salvation from that life, I'm a survivor. I'll use anything in my power to make them wish they never met me, because my children won't be in the middle of a war zone.

 

I was just glad we were over the explanations, because I hate talking about it. I have a great life and wishing for ‘what ifs’ is a waste of time. I have better things to do, like getting to know Gus and Jewel.

 

“Daddy, are you going to live here?” Jewel asks me. 

 

“I live in my own house, but it's near Ted. So I'll be close by.” I tell her. 

“But parents are supposed to live together.” She tells me. 

 

“Jewel, it’s like our other parents, they don’t live here.” Gus tells her.

 

“That's cause they don't like us.” She tells me. 

 

“Honey, they just don't know how to be parents.” Mom tells her.

 

“Aunty Daph isn't a parent, but she loves us and so does Aunty Mol.” She tells Mom.

 

“Yes honey, but not everyone is like them.” Mom tells her. 

 

“You care, Aidan says you’re the best Daddy. Right Aidan?” She asks him. Aidan nods because his mouth was full of cookie.

 

“You'll like Dad cause he loves us to pieces, he tells us all the time.” She is really trying to convince me.

 

“I like your Dad because he loves you and Gus.” I tell her. 

 

There was a rapping at the door, and I look to see Brian rubbing his face, and my mother didn't look happy to hear it either.

 

“I'll try to get rid of her. In case I can't, maybe Justin and the kids should go to another room.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Who’s at the door?” Max asks them.

 

“Hopefully just Deb, but who knows with her.” Emmett tells him. 

 

“I'd like to meet the woman.” Max tells him.  

 

“I wish I didn’t know the woman, but if you want to meet her, we'll let you get the honors.” Brian tells him.

 

“Justin, it would really be easier to get rid of her if you weren’t here.” My mom tells me.

 

“Kids, want to show me your rooms?” I ask them.

 

“Anything if we don’t have to deal with that woman.” Gus and Jewel say together.

 

“Is she mean?” Aidan asks. 

 

“We just don’t like what she says to Dad.” Gus tells him.

 

“Dad, does she hurt you?” Aidan crawls into Brian’s lap and moves his hands from his face.

 

“No Aidan, she just wants me to be nice to her son.” He tells Aidan.

 

“Do you want me to tell her to go away?” He asks Brian.

 

“I can handle it, but you made it better.” He smiles at Aidan.

 

I get the kids gathered up and headed to their rooms in the back of the house. Brian came in the hallway and told the kids to go ahead and I would be there in a minute.

 

“Look, no matter what you hear, keep the kids out of the room. Deb doesn’t understand that she hurts them by saying the shit she says.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll keep them safe.” I promise him.

 

Brian puts his hand behind my head and leans down until we are just a breath away. I wanted it so I sealed my lips to his. The kiss felt like he was using it for the strength to deal with what was coming. We separated and he nodded then opened the door and walked out, closing me behind it.

 

MAX

 

I wait for them to bring the woman they all seem to dread into the room. I was texting a friend to see about some issues he could help me with, but if I need him he’ll come here. What I don’t get is why they are letting her in.  Really, kick the bitch out if she causes so many problems. I mean why put up with her? Emmett returns with who I assume is Deb from the way she walked in like it was her right, and some bible holding gray haired woman. Deb is looking around the room, she looks at me but rolls her eyes and spots Brian coming back into the room.

 

“Brian, I brought your mother to talk to you. It’s not right that we aren’t allowed to see our grandchildren. Maybe you’ll listen to her, if no one else.” She yells at him. This Bitch needs to lower the volume. 

 

“Brian, you need to consider the children's souls, you're raising them to think this lifestyle is okay. I want to save my grandson from the eternal fires.” So this is Brian’s mother.

 

“Too bad you couldn’t save me from you and Jack.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, Debbie and I are here to convince you to let us raise the kids in the way God would want.” She continues. But what did she and Jack do to Brian?

 

“So God wanted me to have a lush for a mother and a father who thought nothing of breaking my arm because he was having a bad day, while you pretended we were the happy Kinney’s.” And now I need to get rid of Bitch number two, because no one beats a kid.

 

“Brian, I deserve to see my grandchild. Jewel doesn’t belong to you, she’s Michael’s.” Deb tells him.

 

“So Mom, did Deb tell you her son is a queer too, or did she just tell you that your son is a heathen? How about the fact that your grandson was conceived in a sperm bank, because I won’t go near a pussy. My children are being raised to believe in a God who doesn’t judge people, unlike you. So take your bible and get the fuck out.” Brian tells her.

 

“Don’t talk to your mother like that.” Deb tells him.

 

“How could the President of PFLAG stand next to a woman who believes all faggots are going to burn in hell? Did Deb forget to mention that to you too Mom?” Brain taunts them.

 

“I’m leaving, and until you repent don’t call on me.” Brian’s mother tells him. She glares at Deb, I guess standing up with a woman who supports gay men, wasn’t on her to do list. Deb waits till Brian’s mother leaves to start on Brian again.

 

“I talked to a lawyer and he told me that he would help me get custody of Jewel. Michael deserves to know his child. Why couldn’t you put aside your anger and allow Michael and I to see our baby?” She tells him.

 

“Did you get Michael to agree to sue with you?” I ask her.

 

“Who the fuck are you, and my son will do what I tell him. Tell the trick to stay out of this.” She tells Brian. Well, let me show her a trick.

 

“I just ask because no state considers grandparents as having rights to a child, unless the parents allow it. Since Michael signed his rights over to Brian and Jen, you would be shit out of luck lady.” I tell her.

 

“Not according to the lawyer I met at the diner this morning.” She tells me.

 

“According to my lawyer, if Michael gave up his rights and didn’t financially support his child in any way, he would have a hard time convincing the court to give him two minutes with said kid. Being a grandmother isn’t going to get you anywhere. My lawyer went to Harvard, where did yours go?” I ask her smiling. 

 

“Brian, you owe…” Brian was obviously done with her.

 

“I owe you nothing after you showed up in court and tried to convince them that I would hurt my children. That I was a drugged out loser who lead your son on so that caused him to do something so out of character for him. Instead of telling the truth, that your son is a fucking piece of shit who expects his mommy to make everything better, no matter what shit he causes. You tried to turn me into an asshole who would beat his kids.” Brian tells her.

 

“Michael didn’t kick Justin out, you did, don’t blame him for you being a dick to Sunshine, you did that all on your own.” Wow, ‘hit him where it hurts and watch him bleed’ should be on her T-shirt or ‘I'm a dick’, instead of ‘Got Dick’. Brian needs to build a better fuck off system, because she got to him.

 

“While your son sat there and didn’t tell Brian the truth, that he was the one who left the door unlocked.” Jen hisses at her.

 

“Look at the way he treated Justin, Michael was scared of Brian. You know he almost hit Justin that day.” She tells Jen. What is she expecting, Jen to side with her. Jen looks like she would stomp Deb into dust if it would get rid of her.

 

“Your son steals, lies, and whines like a two year old. Why would we want the children to be around someone who teaches them everything is fine, as long as St Deb can excuse it?” Jen asks her.

 

“Fuck you, Jen. You were a shitty mother to Justin, he had to stay with me to see what unconditional love was.” She tells her.

 

“How much did I pay you for the unconditional love you showed my son? Sorry, but your bullshit doesn’t fly with me.” She tells her.

 

“Deb, why don’t you follow my mother and get the fuck out of my house. If you decide to take me to court, I hope you plan to tell your son about his father, because the gloves are coming off. Wonder if Michael can forgive you for lying to him all his life?” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian don’t ruin Michael’s life because you're a selfish asshole.” She tells him, wincing a bit at his words. 

 

“If you don’t leave you’ll find out how big of a asshole I am.” He tells her.

 

Guess Deb realized she wasn’t going to get her way, because she finally shut her mouth and stomped to the door, making sure to slam it hard enough to rattle.

 

“Can I ask a question?” I ask them.

 

“Go ahead.” Brian tells me.

 

“What’s with the wig and the make-up? Is she testing out how to be a Drag Queen?” I ask them. I guess it was enough to relieve the tension in the room, because they all seem to relax.

 

“No, the Drag Queen was Michael’s father.” Jen tells me. Man they really should tell me these things, I could have had all sorts of things to say to that.

 

I turn to see Justin staring at Brain, and Brian needs to worry because Deb just made Justin’s shit list, and Justin won't let this go. 

 

Brian walks over to Justin and I watch as Justin gathers him in his arms, like he knew Brian needed him. I mouth that we’ll watch the kids, and after nodding he takes Brian away to another room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

When the yelling started, I noticed that Gus and Jewel seem to take this as normal. Aidan climbed up me like a scared kitten, because he's never been anywhere that things like this happen.

 

“Don’t cry Aidan, Dad will get rid of her.” Gus tells him.

 

“Why is someone yelling?” He asks me. 

 

“She didn’t learn in preschool like you did, to use your inside voice.” I soothe him.

 

“Daddy, can you make her stop?” Aidan asks me. 

 

“Only if you promise me to stay in the room.” I doubt I could do anything, but I wanted to know what was going on. I promised to stay out of the room, but it’s going to be hard for me to do it.

 

“I can watch them.”  Blake tells me from the door.

 

“If she comes here, don’t let her in.” I tell him, shutting the door.

 

“Justin, if she sees you, we'll be dealing with all of them.” Ted warns me.

 

“I don’t plan on walking in the room. Well, I will if she pisses me off, but I need to see what all of you have been dealing with.” I tell him. 

 

“Normally months go by before this starts up again, but lately it's been constant.” Ted tells me. 

 

“What's caused the change?” I ask him. 

 

“Most likely, Deb needs money.” Ted tells me. 

 

“What does that have to do with what we're hearing?” I ask him. 

 

“If she and Michael had gotten Jewel, they would get Brian to pay through the teeth, so Jewel doesn’t suffer.” Ted tells me. 

 

“This is about money?” I ask him. 

 

“It’s always about money with them.” Ted tells me. 

 

“She only wants my child for a paycheck, is that what you're telling me?” I ask him.

 

“Justin, they thought Brian would marry Michael. Deb never considered another possibility, she thinks that Brian should have been Michael’s from the start. With the kind of money Brian has, they would have been living on easy street.” Ted tells me.

 

“She didn’t think me living with Brian meant that he didn’t want her son?” I ask him.

 

“She didn’t think you were any more than Brian passing the time. She put on a great show, when you went missing. She had her and Michael practically living at the loft, to comfort him. I had to change the locks and code to keep them out.” Ted tells me.

 

“Why is Brian allowing her to do this shit?” I ask him.

 

“He is so used to it that sometimes I think he takes it as his punishment for what happened with you. We wouldn’t let him blame himself, but they are very willing to. Maybe he thinks it’s absolution.” Ted tells me.

 

“I swear, I should just put a cross in Brian’s living room, so he can hang himself on it. It’s got to be less painful than listening to that woman. I learned that shit happens, and you have to let it go, or it eats your soul. I guess it’s time to teach that to Brian, because my children are not going to think shit like this is normal. What is wrong with you people, if someone comes to your home uninvited, you slam the door in their face.” I tell him.

 

“When you do that to her, you get child services at the door and cops being called because someone called in that the children were being hurt. Justin, Brian isn’t letting her in just to let her yell, but to stop midnight visits, ones that force him to wake the kids, so they can assure whoever shows up that they aren’t being hurt.” He tells me.

 

“These people don’t realize the calls are bogus?” I ask him.

 

“They do, but they have to see it with their own eyes. One call was some kid, telling them that Brian tried to rape him. We got lucky that time, because Brian was in Chicago, and Jen was here that night.” He tells me.

 

“Can’t they trace the calls?” I ask him.

 

“They are usually from a payphone, by the time everything is settled, no one can tell you who called. We think that Michael pays the street kids to make the calls, we just can’t prove it.” I tell him.

 

When Brian started yelling at Deb, I walked to the door to try and hear what was being said. Whatever he said seemed to work because the front door slammed. I opened the door and saw my mom collapse on the sofa, like she was tired. Brian stood with a blank look on his face, but his eyes told me he was hurting. I walk out and wait, because I don’t know if he wants me to get near him. He doesn’t say anything but walks to me. I gathered him in my arms and let him lean on me. Max let me know he would take care of the kids. I take Brian back to his bedroom and hope I can find a way to bear this burden for him, because this man was breaking under the pressure.

 

BRIAN

 

I don’t know how much more I can take. I try not to let Deb’s words stab deeper with every visit, but it’s me or a cop at the door. I should pack up all of us and move where they can’t find us, Max’s island idea has merit. All I know is that I can’t keep letting this go on. 

 

When the dust settled, I was numb. I started trying to think of a way to apologize to the people in the room, for making them have to sit through it with me. Seeing Justin standing there, waiting for me to decide what to do, was what made me move. I needed someone to help me regain my equilibrium, and somehow I knew he could. So I just went to him and let him surround me with his strength. He led us to my bedroom and sat me on the bed. 

 

“Lay down, and sleep, I’ll keep everyone out until you're ready to face them.” He tells me.

 

Justin starts to turn to walk out but I grab his hand, I don’t want to be alone right now. 

 

“Can you just stay? I promise, nothing else.” I ask him.

 

“If you need me to, yes.” He tells me.

 

Justin crawls behind me and holds me. I don’t want to be this weak but I just had too many surprises today to handle more. I pull his hand and trace the lines. He no longer has soft hands, but callouses. 

 

“It’s from painting all the time.” Justin tells me.

 

“Your hands used to be smooth.” I tell him.

 

“They were until I was constantly sketching and painting, it’s from holding the pencils and brushes a certain way.” He tells me.

 

“Tell me about Aidan.” I want him to keep talking because it’s helping.

 

“Want me to start from the birth?” He asks me and I nod.

 

“I’d already passed the target due date, but I couldn’t tell them when I got pregnant so they just guessed by the ultrasound, when Aidan finally decided to check out the world. I was standing in line trying to buy the animal crackers I’d been eating nonstop, I had told Max to stop hovering and let me go to the store on my own. I remember feeling like someone kicked me in the kidneys and doubling over. A guy behind me, told me to get to the hospital, because it’s how labor for men starts. He pulled me to stand up straight and offered to take me to the hospital. I didn’t want to call Max, because he was going to tell me he told me so. He’d been arguing with me that I shouldn’t be alone. I got to the hospital and was a father five hours later. They ended up going with a C-section because Aidan wouldn’t turn. I have to say I was glad, because the other way just grosses me out. How women do it is beyond me… “ Justin seems to be getting quieter and quieter.

 

JUSTIN

 

I stopped talking because Brian was asleep. I think Max and I need to talk to the rest of them. I get that having police and Child Services show up all hours of the night, would make letting Deb have her say and leave, easier on the kids. It just shouldn’t be the solution. I climb out of the bed and cover Brian. I need to get the children dinner and put them to bed.

 

Emmett was feeding the kids and my mom smiles at me but I can tell she is just trying to keep the kids from feeling her anger. I’m not angry, I’m furious, I just hide it better. Max was talking on his phone outside.

 

“Where’s Dad?” Gus ask me.

 

“He needed a nap.” I tell him.

 

“Is he…” Mom asks without saying anything to upset Gus and Jewel.

 

“Let’s get the kids settled and then talk.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Are we staying?” Aidan asks me.

 

“I need to talk to your Grandmother and Dad, and it’s going to be late, so you're going to have to sleep here until we leave.” I tell Aidan.

 

“He can sleep in my room.” Gus tells me.

 

We let the kids stay up for a while longer but can see they are ready for bed. I help Aidan and Gus, then go to watch my mom read a story to Jewel. She was really animated and in my head I can see a younger version of her, sitting on the bed reading. Which shocked me, because it felt like a memory not my imagination. Then it disappeared again. Jewel was asleep before she finished. We went to check on the boys but they were down before they could get a story.

 

Mom followed me to the living room. Max looks up and I realize he must still be talking to someone, he had his ear piece in. With him distracted we might manage to get through this without Max taking in circles tonight. He looks up and I guess he wants to ask them something.

 

“Okay, why are you guys putting up with this shit?” Max asks them.

 

“Because they if they don’t the police and Child Services are at the door usually around two in the morning.” Emmett tells him. Max nods and goes back to what he was doing.

 

“They can’t ignore the calls, they've had too many cases where the police or Child Services were there and reported everything was fine, then the children end up in the emergency room or morgue later.” Mom tell us.

 

“Does she ever get near the kids?” I ask them.

 

“Sometimes, but normally Brian keeps them out in the front yard. I asked his neighbors to come  outside and be witnesses to what they do, because it’s hard for the police to intervene when it looks like families taking sides. I don’t want you to think Brian lets this happen, it’s just that Deb will show up and keep pestering everyone until someone talks to her.” Mom defends Brian.

 

“How much did you hear Jay?” Max ask me. While playing with his phone.

 

“Just yelling, I was being filled in by Ted.” I tell Max.

 

“It wasn’t just yelling but making everything Brian and Jen’s fault. Brian for not giving her and her son what they want, and making sure he knows it’s all his fault that you disappeared. Jen for being a shitty mother to you. While Deb showed you unconditional love, very touching, almost had a tear in my eye. Award winning performance, I have to tell you. Oh and apparently Brian is so scary that little baby boy didn’t mean for you to take the blame, it was just Brian might have hurt him…” He tells me.

 

“That’s Deb, Michael does something and he’s misunderstood. She tells everyone that Brian really loves Michael but that I forced you on him, so he left Michael out in the cold. Me being in Brian’s life has kept Brian from loving Michael because I’m guilting Brian into thinking he owes me.” She tells me.

 

“But what is she really after? Because for all her screeching, she never once asked to see Jewel, just  complained about it. Wait let me look at this message.” Max asks her. He must have gotten good news on his phone because he smirking.”Okay go.” He tells me.

 

“Money Max, you know the gold digger comment you had when I told you about my mom and Brian.” I tell him.

 

“That could get interesting, especially if they ever find out about you.” He tells me.

 

“Why would that be a big deal?” Emmett asks Max.

 

“Justin isn’t into showing off, so you wouldn’t know that Justin is worth more than Brain, most likely.” Max tell them.

 

“Brian is worth a lot Max. Don’t judge him by his house. He bought it when the kids were little, and didn’t need a bigger house for the three of them. He never changed the house because they like it.” Mom tells us.

 

“I’m not judging anything, you just don’t understand what Justin accomplished in the last five years.” Max can shut the hell up anytime now.

 

“You made a lot with your paintings?” Emmett asks me.

 

“They sell in double digits now.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not the paintings, give you a clue, if Justin hadn’t been a magnificent painter he would have made a great stockbroker. He tripled his investments in the first year and keeps increasing as the years go on. He lives off interest, not principle.” Max tells them.

 

“I’m not surprised, Justin isn’t just smart, he tested well above average almost to genius level in school. He could have done anything, but growing up his passion was art. We were always proud of Justin.” Mom tells me.

 

“Well I guess the bonk on the head didn’t scramble that out of him.” Max tells them.

 

“Max lets not go into that, we need to figure out how to keep Deb from just showing up. I don’t want to have to keep hiding in another room.” I tell him.

 

“Like your not trying to figure out how to make Deb’s life hell in that blond head of yours.” Max smiles at me. 

 

““I just need to know where to hit her. Jewel is not a paycheck.” I tell him. 

 

“So it's about making Brian pay, not about poor Granny.” Max says to me.

 

“I owe them my life.” Brian tells us from the entrance to the living room. 

 

“Why?” I ask him. 

 

“Because they let me in their house, it's how they operate. Ask Emmett or Ted, we should all be lavishing them in a fabulous lifestyle, because Deb honored us with her love. “ He tells me. 

 

“She always expected us to pay for everything. At first we fell in the trap, because we found acceptance in her house. She was a gay boy's dream mom, until you saw what was really going on. It wasn't like she had her hand out, she would mention she didn't know how to pay for Vic’s meds or the light bill, and we'd each be leaving money for her. It wasn’t till after the Jewel fiasco that we all realized she always made sure to do it when we were alone with her. That way Brian, Ted or I would leave her with triple what she was asking for.” Emmett tells us. 

 

“What was the money for?” I ask them.

 

“Whatever Michael wanted, in a way we were paying for Michael.” Emmett tells us.

 

“It was when we all agreed to pretend we didn't hear her, that we became ungrateful assholes for ignoring her generosity of letting us have them in our life. I've always thought she put Michael up to trapping Brian.” Ted tells me.   

 

“Well Jay, how do you want to handle them?” Max asks me. 

 

“It's not his problem. We should have stopped this sooner.” Brian tells him. 

 

“She made it my problem when she hurt my family.” I tell him. 

 

“You never want to piss Jay off. He doesn’t let you see him coming. Where I learned to be sneaky.” Max tells them.

 

“Just how sneaky, Max?” I ask my best friend.

 

“Jay, she brought a Jesus freak aka Brian’s mom here. You know a ‘we are all going to hell for sucking dick’, kind of freak. What kind of PFLAG president does that, I couldn’t just let that go.” Max tells me. We both smile because I taught Max everything he knows.

 

“She works at Liberty diner, preaching acceptance, then brings Joan here. I really wish someone could show all her minions what the real Deb is like.” Mom says.

 

“How did she convince your mom to come with her?” I ask Brian.

 

“Deb is plays ‘good Catholic’ around my mother. ” He tells me.

 

“I just don’t see any way we could out Deb. I mean nobody is going to believe she would do something like this.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I need some digits of the biggest gossips on Liberty Avenue.” Max chimes in.

 

“That would be Emmett.” Ted tell him.

 

“You don’t need my number Sweety. I’m here, live and in person.” Emmett tells Max.

 

“I need to send Video messages to the masses, can you just give me your numbers. If you have random numbers for anybody who frequents the diner what would be good too.” He tells them.

 

Emmett gives Max his number. We here the chime the message was sent. I walk behind Emmett to see what Max got. 

 

“I had a friend edit it to hit the high points.” Max tells us.

 

It started with Deb saying, “Brian, listen to your mother.”

 

Then Joan, “Debbie and I are here to convince you to let us raise the kids in the way God would want.”

 

“Get the fuck out” 

 

 We see Deb standing next to Joan.“Don’t talk to your mother like that.”

 

Joan “Repent or don’t call on me”

 

Deb “Listen to your mother.”

 

“The President of PFLAG stands with a woman who believes all faggots are going to burn in hell”

 

Flashes across the screen and fades.

 

“Think the queers are going to support that?” Max asks us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

DEB 

 

I came home to Michael laying on the couch, looking at his computer. 

“What are you looking at?” I ask him. 

 

“I'm bidding on some action figures. I got my bonus today.” He tells me. 

 

“Honey, we need to use the money to fight Brian for Jewel.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want that brat around me, if she had been Brian’s that would be different.” He tells me.

 

“Michael you need to start acting like you want her. You're never going to get Brian if you treat that kid like shit.” I tell him. 

 

“Why can't the Taylor woman deal with her? I don't want Brian to have to pay attention to anyone but me. Lindsay better come get her kid too. I just don’t understand why he acts like he doesn’t love me.” He tells me. 

 

“He loves you, it's just that Jen stays over there and confuses him. She makes him think he has to keep pretending he loved her son, when you know he loves you.” I tell him. 

 

Michael smiles at me and goes back to looking at his computer. My son is going to get what he wants, and then we’ll be set. I headed up to bed, because unfortunately the rent has to be paid. 

 

I can’t believe Brian is threatening to tell Michael about his real father. That’s the last thing I need to deal with, I thought about stopping by the hustlers hangout and having them call in on Brian again, but I didn’t want to do it too often. The last guy told me he would call Brian and see if he would pay more for the information on who was paying them to call. I called the police and had him picked up. 

 

I wish I didn’t have the breakfast shift in the morning. I was going to get Michael to talk to the lawyer from the diner, but we both have to work in the morning. If only he had kept the kid, then he would have had Brian. We deserve to have Brian help us, after all we did for him when he was younger.

 

I remember when Michael first introduced me to Brian. I saw that my son wanted him and I was determined to make sure Michael got what he wanted. It helped that Brian was looking for a safe haven. It just seemed no matter how many ways Michael showed Brian he was interested, nothing came of it. At first I was relieved, because I wanted Michael to find someone who would take care of us and Brian wasn’t rolling in dough. He was as poor as us. When he got into college, I tried to get Michael to go too, but there was no way to afford that. That’s when I discovered that if I mentioned us being short on a bill or needing something, Brian would find a way to help us out. 

 

Michael started bringing new friends to my house and I treated each one as if they were special and was able to get them to help out when Michael wanted something. Everything was going great until Justin showed up. Brian stopped giving all his attention to Michael and started spending money on Justin and paying a lot of attention to him. I told Michael to make Brian jealous and he would come back to him. I even took Justin in to get him away from Brian, the money I got from it was nice too. I just didn’t know what to do when Brian took Justin back and let him move in, no one was going to live there if it wasn’t Michael. I told Michael that if he and Brian were to have kids that Brian would drop Justin for him. Only he and Lindsay had to get the wrong sperm. Well what’s done is done, but Brian has to realize Justin is gone and it’s time he does right by Michael and me.

 

~~~~~~~

 

I got to work this morning and pasted on my ‘happy to be here’ smile, instead of my ‘why the fuck can’t I get a break from you queens’ smile. I got behind the counter and tried to say hi to Kiki, but she gave me a look that said she wasn’t having a good day. I walked over to one of my tables and all the guys looked up at me.

 

“Hey boys, what can I get you?” I ask them.

 

“Another table.” And they got up and walked to one of Kiki’s booths.

 

“What’s wrong with them?” I ask one of the guys in the next booth.

 

“Nothing that fags burning in hell won’t solve.” He tells me. 

 

“What, did someone come in and try to cause trouble with you guys? I would have taken care of that, you know how much I care about you guys” I tell him.

 

“Like we would believe a hypocrite.” Kiki tells me.

 

“Look, whatever is up your ass, don’t take it out on me.” I tell her.

 

“Don’t stand here and preach your acceptance when we all got to see the truth.” Kiki tells me.

 

“What are you talking about? You know I love and accept anyone.” I tell her.

 

“Not according to the video we all received on our phones.” A guy tells me.

 

“Here Deb, why don’t you tell us why you think gay men shouldn't raise their children. I’m sure the fathers here would love to hear your thoughts, but first watch the video.” Kiki hands me her phone.

 

I watch the video that must have been recorded last night. That mother fucker, he’d better pray I don’t find him.

 

JUSTIN 

 

Max and I came back to my house last night, but Brian convinced us to let Aidan sleep at his house. I agreed because it was late and Aidan is cranky when you wake him up before he's ready.

 

I got up to make coffee after sleeping a couple hours, because it felt strange not to have Aidan home. I wanted to be there when the kids woke up. It would be my first morning with Jewel. 

 

“We should have just stayed there Jay. It’s not like you got any sleep.” Max tells me. 

 

“I've never left Aidan anywhere overnight and I want to get to know Jewel and Gus.” I tell him. 

 

“It looked like you wanted the whole family, not just the kids.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t know, I mean Brian is hard not to want, but that could just be because he’s gorgeous. He wants us to try to see if we could be more. It’s just confusing me, because there is part of me that wants to rip his clothes off, and another part that has to wonder what would cause me to run away from him.” I tell him.

 

“You were eighteen, a guy kicks you out you react like a teenager would, run away and expect him to chase you. He was a grown man, he probably saw it as a fight and that once things cooled down, you’d be back. I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean for you to run to another state that day.” He tells me.

 

“That’s the other problem, he blames himself for what I did. I did it Max, not him. Ted told me he thinks that Brian let’s Deb yell at him and blame him because it’s someone agreeing with Brian that he’s at fault.” I tell him.

 

“That’s kind of fucked up, but you’re home. Maybe seeing that you didn’t have a horrible life will help him let it go.” Max tells me.

 

“Want to help me get some breakfast for the kids?” I ask him.

 

“As long as it’s not good for me, I’m in. You really need to learn that grease is not the enemy. I swear if you make me eat anything healthy this morning, I’m going to tell them any embarrassing story I can come up with about you.” Max tells me.

 

“There is nothing wrong with egg white omelets and wheat toast.” I tell him as we grab our jumbo travel mugs and walk out the door.

 

“Jay, you were only eighteen when I met you, you do realize that right?” He asks me.

 

“Yeah, but what does that have to do with eating healthy.” I ask him.

 

“Your body was still able to process burgers and pizza and not gain weight. Now your butt will just gain the weight and although I love your ass, to much junk in the trunk will ruin the aesthetics.” He tells me. 

 

I drive past all the fast food places because the first breakfast with my children is not going to be egg mcmuffins. Max moans as we pass the last one.

 

“I knew you were going to make me eat healthy today.” He pouts.

 

“How about bagels, that place looks good.” I point to a bakery.

 

“I’d rather go to the diner across the street.” He tells me.

 

“No you wouldn’t, that is the place Deb works at.” I tell him. 

 

“You really want to announce your back?” He ask me.

 

“No, that’s why I brought my hoodie.” I tell him.

 

“Dude I just wanted to go check it out, hopefully they’re egging her.” Max looks at the diner.

 

“I’m sure she’ll be coming over to tell Brian all about it. For now let’s go and get food.” I tell him.

 

I drag him from the curb, because Max would go over there just to watch the fireworks. When we got in I started thinking we should call and see if Brian has pancake batter, I like junk food, just in small doses. The woman was putting out fresh muffins and donuts, when we walked to the counter. 

 

“Jay, I love you.” Max tells me. Of course he does, well really the three dozen donuts he tells the woman he wants.

 

“At least get some muffins, I can pretend they are healthy when the kids eat them.” I tell him.

 

“You should try the orange cranberry, they are addictive.” A woman behind us tells us.

 

“Jay thinks if it taste good you don’t eat it.” Max turns to tell her.

 

“Why eat it if it tastes like sawdust?” She tells him.

 

“That’s what I was saying, but he’s all ‘it has to be healthy’, and I’m all like ‘why not enjoy what you put in your mouth’. Probably because he hasn’t had anything good in his mouth for years.” He tells her.

 

“Please ignore him, he’s SPECIAL.” I turn to tell her.

 

“Are you okay?” Max asks her.

 

The girl really just stares at me. Then she leaps at me and starts crying on me.

 

“Where have you been?” She whispers. 

 

“Um, please don’t take this the wrong way, but like Jay is like gay, I mean gay in the giant G A Y way, and your beautiful, but he likes guys, you know.” Max tells her.

 

“Justin, please tell me it’s you?” She begs me.

 

“That’s what I’ve been told, but um, how do you know?” I ask her.

 

“I would know you anywhere, you jackass. How could you leave me and not let me know you were okay?” She glares at me. Then slaps my arm. 

 

“You know Jay?” Max asks her.

 

“I know Justin, he’s my best friend.” She tell him.

 

“Daphne?” I ask her.

 

“Justin? Oh God your mom and Brian, we need to call them.” She tells me.

 

“Jay and I are on our way over there now. They all met yesterday.” He tells her.

 

“You mean Justin finally showed up after five years, nice work Justin. I hope you groveled for the hell they went through.” She tells me.

 

“Kind of hard for Jay to grovel, he wouldn’t know what to grovel for.” Max tells her.

 

“For disappearing and leaving all of us worried.” She tells him.

 

“What I mean is that Jay doesn’t have any memory of his life here.” He tells her.

 

“Bullshit, he called me by my name.” She tells him.

 

“My mom told me last night my best friend's name was Daphne. I was hoping that was who you were.” I tell her.

 

“I’m following you to Brian’s and this better not be you trying to worm your way out of me being pissed at you.” She tells me.

 

“Get the good muffins, because I need to go to my happy place before I listen to this. I expect to see you in twenty minutes at Brian’s.” She tells us.

 

We stand there and wait for her to leave. Max tells the woman to just dump all the orange cranberry muffins into the bag. Then tells her to put anything with Chocolate in the bag, since women like chocolate.

 

“Rather spirited girl, but dude you better work on groveling because she hits.” Max tells me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I open the front door thinking it would be Justin but got a very unhappy Daphne instead. 

 

“Is there something you forgot to call and tell me?” She asks me, not even saying hello. 

 

“How did you find out?” I ask her. 

 

“What, that's all you have to say? I see my best friend for the first time in five years and you want to know how I found out. Let’s see I wanted a bagel, stopped by the same place I've gone for years and end up seeing a face I almost gave up hope of ever seeing again, that's how. So you want to explain why you didn't warn me?” She asks me. 

 

“Jen and I were going to talk to you and Molly today, yesterday was one giant clusterfuck. Come in and I'll fill you in, because you're going to have to give Justin a break on any lectures.” I tell her. She follows me into the kitchen and picks up where she left off.

 

“Brian as much as I love Justin, it still hurts that he left without ever contacting us. You can’t just let that slide. He owes it to us to apologize for leaving us all to think he was dead.” She tells me. 

 

“He didn’t owe me shit, I tossed his ass out.” I snap at her.

 

“You were angry, why can’t you see he could have stayed and at least tried to talk to you. Both of you did stupid things, hell, I didn't try to stop his dimwitted plan to run away, so I blame me too.” She tells me. We hear someone snorting and look up to see Max standing there watching us.

 

“Two things, first, if you don’t want people just walking into your house, lock the door. Second, why are you still acting like any of the bullshit matters anymore? Things happened to all of you, but it’s like you're stuck in blame mode, and don’t forget that the world is full of people shit happens to because of bad days and decisions. Jay doesn’t blame you, so could you stop with the ‘it’s all my fault’ because it’s starting to get annoying.” Max tells us.

 

“Before you both start up again, I sent Jay to see the kids, because he wanted to come in here and tell you both to get the fuck over yourselves. Now, we need to eat the unhealthy shit before Jay comes in and tells us what it will do to our arteries.” Max starts pulling all sorts of muffins, donuts and things covered in chocolate out of the bag.

 

“Why do you keep calling him Jay?” Daphne asks him.

 

“That’s the only name he had when we meet. He didn’t know his real name, still doesn’t really.” Max tells her.

 

“Someone want to explain that to me?” She asks us.

 

“I woke up in an alley and that’s the last thing I remembered.” Justin tells her from the entrance to the kitchen.

 

“Amnesia, but most people recover from that.” She tells him.

 

“Most people are around something they knew at one time. Jay was in a new place, without anything to tell him who he was. Just a belt buckle with a J on it. In five years he never ventured out much unless it was with me somewhere. Even the doctor I talked to said that it was dependent on how much of the brain was injured and some shit I didn’t get, but that if Jay had been around familiar surroundings and people he knew it would be more likely he would remember something. He wanted Jay to come to his office so they could run tests but Jay is a bit stubborn.” Max tells us.

 

“You’ve never seen a doctor?” Daphne asks him.

 

“So they could tell me I have amnesia, I know that.” Justin tells her.

 

“So they could figure out if the part of your brain was injured and if it has irreparable damage.” She tells him.

 

“I don’t want Daddy to go to the doctor, they give shots.” Aidan tells us.

 

“Um, is he?” Daphne asks me.

 

“Yeah, apparently Justin left with something.” I tell her.

 

“Who dat?” Aidan asks me. It felt good that he seemed to defer to me.

 

“Aidan, why are you baby talking?” Justin asks him.

 

“Sorrrry, who is that? Better?” Aidan asks Justin.

 

“A lot better. As to who that is, she is someone who was my friend here. Her name is Daphne, can you be polite and introduce yourself.” I ask Aidan.

 

“Miss Daphne, I’m Aidan Maxwell Thomas. Daddy told me to always tell my full name.” He tells her.

 

“I prefer Daphne or Aunty Daph.” She tells him.

 

“New Dad, do you like her?” He asks Brian.

 

“Yes, in fact I love your Aunty Daph.” I tell him.

 

“So it’s okay if I like her?” He ask me.

 

“That’s up to you.” I tell him.

 

“Gus says that if I wanted to know something to ask you, cause you know everything.” He tells me.

 

“AUNTY DAPH, did you see Gus and I got a Daddy?” Jewel comes running in. 

 

“You did Jewel.” Gus tells her. 

 

“Nuuh, he’s OUR Daddy like Dad is Aidan’s New Dad.” She tells him. 

 

I guess we forgot Gus in all of this.

 

JUSTIN

 

“Gus, I might not be your Daddy by normal means but I can be if you want me to. You’re Aidan and Jewel’s brother, it makes you mine too.” I tell him.

 

“So it’s okay if I call you Daddy?” He asks me.

 

“It’s up to you what you call me. If you want to use Daddy and it’s alright with your Dad, you can. Or just call me Jay or Justin.” I tell him.

 

“I think I should call you Daddy, cause it might confuse the little kids.” He tells us.  It took everything we all had not to laugh.

 

“Gus, you're barely a year older than Jewel and Aidan.” Brian tells him. 

 

“Daddy, why is there all the bad food on the table?” Aidan asks me. 

 

“Uncle Max thinks that sugar is a food group.” I tell him. 

 

“Uncle Max likes food that makes his tummy happy.” Max tells us. 

 

“So did your Daddy when he lived here.” Daphne tells him. 

 

“I knew it, I bet you made me all the healthy sh..stuff, while you hid in a closet and gorged on the good stuff.” Max jokes.

 

“If you had to eat the way I did before we met, you'd understand not wanting to keep filling my body with those foods.” I tell him. 

 

“Wait, what happened to you?” She asks me. 

 

“What do you think happened Daphne, he was alone. No money or memory.” Brian tells her. 

 

“That is something we can talk about later.” I warn them. 

 

“You didn’t have to...?” She asks. 

 

“No, I couldn’t do that, even though I understood why others did. How about we feed the kids and think of something we can do today.” I tell her. 

 

“Can we eat Uncle Max’s stuff?” Jewel asks me. 

 

“A girl after my own heart. So Jay can they, pretty please, let them learn about the good stuff?” Max asks me. 

 

 “Only for breakfast, lunch is going to be something I don't wince at. Is that okay with you, Brian?” I ask.

 

“I'll just have toast, because working out all day isn’t in my plans.” Brian tells us.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The kids wanted to go to the zoo, so Brian and Max were going to take them. Brian told me to spend time with Daphne and meet Molly. Max said it would be easier than having to filter everything. It was hard to talk to someone, when I didn’t know them.

 

“This is so awkward, you and I could talk nonstop for hours.” She tells me. 

 

“Trust me, it’s been hard not to apologize for looking at people and seeing strangers. Maybe you could fill me in on Brian and I. I haven’t asked much because he keeps acting like he needs to make up for things, and I don’t remember them.” I tell her.

 

“What do you want to know?” She asks me.

 

“What were we like? Why were we even together and how did I meet a guy that much older than me?” I ask her.

 

“You wanted him pretty much from the beginning. You met him on your first venture out into the gay world. I dropped you off on Liberty Avenue and the next day he dropped you off at school. Then it was a series of you chasing him and him chasing you. He acted like he didn’t want you around and you keep coming around. Eventually, he seemed to accept that you were going to be around. The truth is neither of you were running around proclaiming you had a relationship. You and he were both messing around with other people, but if you needed him, he would be there.” She tells me.

 

“I was okay with this? Because it’s not something I can let my kids be around. Having strange men in and out of their lives.” I tell her.

 

“Five years ago, Brian wouldn’t have cared. He doesn’t bring anybody around the kids. Hell, I wouldn’t even know if he was out with a guy, he doesn’t let on if he is.” She tells me.

 

“He wants us to try and see if there is a possibility, but I don’t share. If that’s what he wants, it’s not in the cards for us.” I tell her.

 

“Then tell him that, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. He’s not the same man who tricked and got drunk and stoned every night anymore.” She tells me.

 

“There is another problem, so far I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Deb, but if she shows up here again, I’m not going to hide in another room.” I tell her.

 

“She came here last night?” She ask me.

 

“With Brian’s mother, and let loose on everyone in the room. Have Emmett send you the uncut version of last night.” I tell her.

 

“Uncut, why?” She asks me. I hand her my phone so she can see the other version. 

 

“Holy shit, who did this?” She ask me.

 

“She pissed Max off.” I tell her.

 

“What are you doing with it?” She asks me.

 

“Sending through the gay grapevine, most likely all of the queers in Pittsburgh have a copy. Emmett said ‘send it to one queen and you send to all of them’.” I tell her.

 

Daphne was watching the video again and laughing at the idea of Deb being outed at the diner. When the doorbell rang, I got up to get it. My mom was bringing Molly over to meet me. Before I could get to the door the doorbell was ringing again and again. I guess my sister was excited. Opening the door, I see a man about my height standing there.

 

“Can I help you?” I ask him.

 

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE? WE GOT RID OF YOUR ASS, YOU BETTER NOT BE HERE THINKING BRIAN WANTS YOU. HE BELONGS TO ME.” He yells at me. Good God does Brian have crazy ex’s like Max?

 

“Well he isn’t here, so maybe you could come back when he is and yell at him.” I tell him. I tried to shut the door in his face. The fucker put his foot in the door.

 

“BRIAN GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE.” He yells into the house.

 

Daphne comes to the door and starts shoving the guy out the door.

 

“Get the fuck outta here, how many ways do we have to say to you and your mother that no one wants you around before it finally penetrates the cement around the pea brains you two have.” She tells him.

 

“You don’t get to tell me or my mother anything. Why don’t you take him and get out of Brian’s life. I was there first and stood by him. He fucking loves me, but because of you and the twink’s mother, Brian turned me away.” He tells her.

 

“Turned you away? Wow Michael, you tend to change facts when it suits you and Mommy. Brian didn’t turn you away, he got away from the bullshit it took to be your friend and your Mommy’s credit line. He never loved you and never will, because you’re a pathetic little Mama’s boy.” She tells him.

 

“Fuck you, I bet you thought if Justin was gone, you’d get Brian to let you play Mommy to his brats. It’s the only way he would want you around, after finally getting rid of him.” He points at me.

 

“Michael, get the hell off Brian’s lawn.” My mom yells from her car.

 

“I’m not leaving until I talk to Brian. What did you do bring him here to try to keep Brian from me?” He tells her.

 

“Can I ask a question?” I ask him.

 

“No you can’t, but you can go the fuck back to wherever you were. Brian deserves a chance to be happy with me. While you're at it take my mistake with you.” He tells me. 

 

I think I would have just let him keep making an idiot out of himself, but no one calls my child a mistake. So I did the one thing I think we all would want to do to him. I knocked him the fuck out. I look around to see how they were taking me hitting the fucker. The smiles indicated they weren’t upset. So I figured it was time to get rid of the idiot while he couldn’t open his mouth.

 

“Can you get his legs?” I ask Daphne.

 

“What are we going to do with him?” She asks while grabbing his legs. I pulled him up by hooking my arms under his armpits.

 

“I kind of want to drop him off the planet but maybe just leave him in front of a homeless shelter?” I offer. Now how to get him out of here. Maybe my mom would let me use her car.

 

“If he starts to come to he’s going to be a pain in the ass.” She tells me.

 

“The last guy I did this to didn’t wake up for hours.” I tell her. The asshole was getting heavy.

 

“Justin, what are you doing?” My mom asks me.

 

“Throwing out the trash?” I tell her with a smile.

 

“Hey, we could put him in the dumpster behind Babylon.” A girl who must be my sister tells me.

 

“Babylon?” I ask her. Sounds as good as any place.

 

“Yeah, Brian’s club. They throw all sorts of nasty shit in the dumpster there.” She tells me.

 

“Molly, language, and how do you know that?” She asks Molly.

 

“Because Mom, they have to throw out the condoms and cleaning rags somewhere.” I like her.

 

“Can we borrow you and your car?” I ask my Mom.

 

Mom hands us the keys and tells us it’s not aiding and abetting if she doesn’t see it. We throw Michael in the trunk because no one wanted to sit near him. Daphne picks up her phone and makes a call.

 

“Hey Emmett want to help dump a body?... No, he’s still breathing. I just don’t want to try to lift him into the dumpster… Mikey… Molly suggested Babylon’s dumpster… Okay see ya.” She hangs up. “Emmett said he’s bringing a couple of bears to help.” She smiles with glee.

 

I decided that this was definitely my best friend, because she barely batted an eyelash at helping me do a body dump.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

 

Thank you for Emmett and the three bears, or we never would have gotten Michael in the dumpster. Daphne made us put trash bags under Michael because who knew what was in the condoms, which, okay she was right. Molly on the other hand, wanted to close the lid and lock it for the shit he put our mom through. I really like my little sister. We all ran back to the car that I had Daphne drive away from the scene of the crime. We had to tell Emmett to be quiet because he was worried we were going to end up on America’s Most Wanted.

 

“We didn’t kill him, just let him see what’s it’s like to have some trash all over you.” Molly tells him.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, jail in pornos sounds all kinds of fun to a queen like me, but I doubt it’s anything like that for real.” Emmett tells us.

 

We got in the car and drove back to Brian’s house. He was standing with Max in the driveway.

 

“Think someone told Daddy Bear what you’ve been up to?” Daphne asks as we all stare at a stern looking Brian.

 

“Mom probably did.” Molly tells me.

 

“It’s not like we didn’t do what Brian probably wants to do.” Emmett protests.

 

“Get out of the car children, and tell me what you did with Michael.” Brian tells us.

 

“Is it too late to back out and run?” Emmett asks.

 

“Emmett, the fact that you are the adult in the car makes me wonder about you helping them.” Max tells him.

 

“Like you wouldn’t have been helping.” I tell Max.

 

“Yeah, but who said I’m an adult? No one expects me to behave, because I refuse to grow up and be responsible.” He tells us.

 

“I was responsible, I made sure we didn’t just throw Michael in.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Please tell me you guys are kidding, that you didn’t really throw him in my dumpster.” Brian asks us.

 

We all decided not to answer him, because he looked like he was going to kill us. 

 

“Why would it matter Brian?” Max asks Brian. Then turns to me. “He’ll wake up in an hour or two, unless you really knocked the shit out of him. Then it could be tomorrow.” Max looks at me to see what I did.

 

“A couple hours, it’s not like I went for total KO.” I tell them.

 

“Normally I would say great, but the garbage pick-up is sometime today. Was the dumpster full or empty.” Brian asks us.

 

“Full, but they’ll see him.” I tell him.

 

Brian starts calling someone, and mutters childishly, “they’ll see him.” 

 

“Well you guys are lucky, Mom got the neighbor to agree that you guys were here all day. What the hell Jay, you usually plan better than that.” Max tells me.

 

“He called Jewel a mistake.” I tell him.

 

“Brian let him take a ride.” Max tells him.

 

BRIAN

 

It’s really sad when I want to leave Michael to the garbage schedule, but somehow it’s going to come back on me. I need to be able to give Justin and the kids my time.

 

Max and I had a long talk while the kids ran around us at the zoo. It was enlightening to meet the real Max, not the Emmett twin.

 

“You have till we take the kids back to the car to ask me what you want. Then Uncle Maxie gets to come out and play.” Max told me.

 

“How bad was it really? I need to know.” I tell him.

 

“Justin wasn’t living in the lap of luxury, but he wasn’t doing things that would change him. He was living hand to mouth, not something he was ever used to, judging by what I’ve seen, but he didn’t know that. So to him it was about taking care of himself and having a healthy baby. Was it great? No. But he got off his ass and kept going. Do I know everything? No, because Jay doesn’t sit around using it to gain sympathy.” He tells me.

 

“He came to work for you? How?” I ask him.

 

“I was asked by a friend to offer employment to the guys in the shelter. I did it because everyone deserves a chance to get out of that life. I wasn’t always rich Brian, I worked my ass off to get where I am. Jay didn’t just let me help him, he worked for everything until the day Aidan was born, then he put his pride aside and did everything for Aidan.” He tells me.

 

“He goes from cleaning to displaying his art in a premier gallery. Sounds like you really were into helping Justin.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t because I wanted Jay,  you do realize he was pregnant when I met him. Not really what I look for in a man. I wanted him for my Gallery because he is one of the most talented artists I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. I don’t have to pay for ass, Brian. Jay and I just never got past the brothers stage and we don’t want to.” He tells me. I know that but I wanted to hear him say it.

 

We see the kids come running back to us and asking to see the monkeys. I figured we could continue this when they were watching the animals.

 

“You never once considered him for more?” I ask.

 

“I love Jay, but we were never going to be more, so why waste my time on pining for what I couldn’t have. Yes, I think he’s hot, but it doesn’t mean I’m willing to screw myself out of a friend, for one night of stupidity. Understand something about me, the only people who matter to me are Jay and Aidan, my family. You fuck up and I’ll make sure it’s the last time you get near them. I’ll make sure that Jewel and Gus are the only people allowed to see them.” He tells me.

 

“You really think he would let you force him to choose you, over us?” I ask him. 

 

“Yes, he knows me, unlike you. You keep letting people shit on you the way you have and he isn’t going to be running to you but away again. Jay doesn’t like weak people, most likely because he couldn’t survive being on the street if he let people get to him. You want to know the kind of men he was at least willing to date? The ones who took care of their problems. Which you seem to do, except when it comes to the Drag Queen wanna be.” He tells me.

 

“The person I was screwed around with anybody, and acted like he was a albatross, don’t think that will work this time. Trust me, she is going to make sure Justin knows all about me.” I tell him.

 

“Then tell him yourself, don’t let him hear their version. Jay can see through bullshit, so you don’t have to worry about them and him. My only question is, is that who you are anymore?” He asks me.

 

“I’m a father and owner of a business. The rest was just window dressing to hide the pain.” I put it all out there, because Max isn’t the dizzy guy he pretends to be.

 

“Jay, is the person you see. The only difference is you’ll never see if you hurt him, because he can shield himself. Something you don’t do, which in my opinion, is something you, of all people should be able to do. You can’t come out of a home like your childhood home, not being able to hide the hurt. Why did you let Deb see it?” He took me by surprise when he asked that.

 

“It was just too much in one day. I finally was able to end my search for Justin. It was the truth, I did almost hit him. Just like my father would have done, being angry about things that shouldn’t matter more than people.” I tell him.

 

“Did you hit him? No. So it doesn’t count. Let me say what you can’t seem to hear, you’re not your father, anymore than I’m mine. You stopped yourself from doing it, and in the end that’s what counts.” He tells me.

 

“I thought you didn’t have a family?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t, my father killed them all.” He tells me and runs to the kids.

 

In the car I thought about what he said, and he’s right, I wasn’t being me anymore. If it takes letting the cops in the door at two in the morning then I let them in. 

 

“He beat us too, but the fucker had to take my mom and sister with him in the car when he crashed it into a light pole.” Max tells me when we got out to get the kids.

 

“Mine didn’t have the money for a car.” I tell him.

 

When the kids ran into the house, Jen came outside to tell us what the other children were doing. You know it doesn’t surprise me that Justin and Daphne were already causing all sorts of trouble in the very short time they were together.

 

“Brian, Molly is helping.” She tells me.

 

“Dude, they are so coming to my island.” Max the silly queen tells us.

 

I got a hold of Ted and told him what Justin did with Michael. After he stopped laughing, I told him to make it so that if Deb, Lindsay, or Michael come to my house, I can have them removed from the property. Ted told me he would handle it.

 

MICHAEL

 

What the fuck is that smell, and why does my face hurt? When I tried to open my eye it hurt to open it. I opened up my other eye and I’m surrounded by metal. I go to sit up and slide into something slimy. Shit, how the hell did I end up in a dumpster? I get up and push the lid open to see a garbage truck heading down the alley. I tried to get out but there was shit all over the sides that I didn’t want to touch. The truck starts pulling closer and I jump up so he can see I’m in here. I was relieved when he stopped and opened his door.

 

“You need to get out of there, this isn’t a dumpster for doing a dive.” He tells me.

 

“Can you help me out of here, I wasn’t in here on purpose.” I tell him.

 

“I hear that all the time, but let me get some gloves because there is all sorts of nasty shit in this dumpster.” He tells me.

 

I look around to see where I am and see Babylon behind me. I look down and see condoms stuck to my pants. Then I remember who I saw today and I’m going to make sure he doesn’t get away with this.

 

“Hey Michael, what are you doing in Babylon’s garbage?” Ted asks me.

 

“Fuck you Ted, you wait till I get out of here.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t worry, the cops here are going to help you out of there. Can you make sure Michael is no longer allowed to trespass on any property owned by Brian Kinney? He and his mother are on the verge of harassment, if not stalking.” Ted tells the cops.

 

“Michael, tell your mom that if she comes near Brian we are going to have her arrested. The officers will be delivering restraining orders for you and her today.” He tells me.

 

“Brian wouldn’t let you do that.” I tell him. 

 

“He ordered me to do whatever it takes to get you the hell out of his life.” Ted tells me.

 

“I want Justin arrested for attacking me.” I tell the cop.

 

“Where did you see Justin?” Ted asks me.

 

“The fucker was at Brian’s house, you tell Brian I’m going to put that twink’s ass in jail for assault.” I tell him.

 

“Sir, we need you to get out of there and you can call someone from the station.” The cop tells me.

 

“I want someone to arrest Justin Taylor for hitting me.” I tell them.

 

“Where did this happen?” The cop finally listens to me.

 

“At Brian’s house.” He tells me.

 

“My employer.” Ted tells the cop.

 

“The one who wants the restraining order?” He ask Ted.

 

“That doesn’t change that someone hit me.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll send someone to see if anyone can verify your story.” He tells me.

 

“I’m verifying it. One of my eyes stings, it’s probably from where he hit me.” I tell him.

 

“Wouldn’t put it past you to hit yourself to cause trouble.” Ted tells me.

 

The cop and garbage truck driver get me out, while Ted just watches. The cop asks if there is any plastic he could put over his seat. I wanted to sit and rub whatever was on me in the seat. When he put me in the back, he told me that he would prefer to keep the windows down, because he didn’t want the car to smell after I was out. I asked to call my mom, he told me I could do that from the station.

 

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

MAX 

 

One of the things about Jay is that he looks innocent, so people tend to think he wouldn’t hurt a fly. Living the way he did, he learned to make people see what he wanted them to see, not what he was capable of. So when Ted called to tell us Mikey was trying to have Jay arrested, I wasn't worried.  Everyone else was scrambling to think of a way to explain the bruised knuckles. 

 

“Honey, You could go to your house.” Mom tries. 

 

“Don’t worry about it.” He tells her.

 

“Justin, they are assholish enough to turn this into a bigger deal.” Daphne tells him.

 

“Just don’t talk to them, let us handle it.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Give me an idea on how you want to handle this?” Brian asks him.

 

“I don’t, trust me they aren’t going to believe I hit Michael.” He tells him.

 

Brian was the only one who stopped trying to help Jay get out of it. I’ll give it to him, he’s learning fast. I just started getting out lunch for the kids, because whatever he was going to do, would work. The others were trying to hatch a plan.

 

“We could tell the police it was me.” Daphne tells us.

 

“Honey, if one of us has to sacrifice themselves to save Baby, I’ll do it.” Emmett volunteers.

 

“I can tell them I hit him for insulting my brother.” Molly tells us. 

 

Jay rolls his eyes and walks out of the room. He walked outside to where the kids were playing. I waited to see what he was up too. 

 

“Oh mother fu... “ We hear him shout.

 

“Daddy did you hurt your hand?” Aidan asks him.

 

“Daddy’s fine Baby. I just shouldn’t have twisted the rope around my hand.” He tells Aidan.

 

“I’m sorry Daddy, I just wanted the tire swing to turn round and round.” Jewel tells him, upset that he got hurt.

 

“Daddy just should have moved his hand, it’s fine.” He tells them, comforting his daughter with a kiss.

 

Jay walks in with a smile and lifts his hand to show where the rope burned it. 

 

“You think the police will believe I hurt my hand outside, with the kids confirming it?” He ask us looking innocent.

 

“Justin you didn’t have to hurt yourself.” Daphne runs back in with a first aid kit.

 

That is how the cops who came found us. Daphne cleaning Jay’s knuckles. 

 

“We had a report that you assaulted a Michael Novotny this afternoon. He also said that you kidnapped him, then tried to kill him by dumping his body in a dumpster.” The cop looked at the innocent blue eyes.

 

“I somehow lifted him over my head and threw him in a dumpster?” Jay asks in a very soft voice.

 

“Can you tell us how you hurt your hand?” He asks Jay.

 

“Daddy was playing with me outside and the rope hurt him.” Jewel tells him.

 

“Did your Daddy tell you that?” He asks her.

 

“No, silly, I wanted to go round and round, so Daddy twisted the rope for me. Wanna see?” She asks him.

 

Brian and the cop went outside with Jewel. The other cop stood there looking at Jay to see if it was believable that he could have gotten Michael in the garbage can. The first cop comes back inside and asks to look at Jay’s hand.

 

“There was some blood on the rope, so it seems likely.” He tells his partner.

 

“Stay here and I’ll talk to the neighbors to see if they saw anything.” The second cop leaves the room.

 

“Can you explain why he would make this up?” He asks Jay.

 

“He doesn’t like that he had my child and not my fiance’s child. He… tried to… steal Brian’s… um, sample but…. Um, got mine instead.” Jay even shed a tear for affect.

 

“So you share a child with him?” He asked Justin.

 

“He doesn’t have anything to do with Jewel.” Brian tells him.

 

“Is it okay if the children leave the room?” Jen asks the cop.

 

“It’s fine, I really just need to determine if there is any truth to the assault.” He tells her.

 

“Have you been having problems with Mr. Novotny?” He ask Jay and Brian.

 

“I’ve been gone and just recently reconnected with my now fiance. Brian is the one who’s been dealing with their constant harassment. I haven’t even seen him.” Jay tells him.

 

The other cop comes in, shaking his head no.

 

“The neighbor on the right was home all day and told me that she was outside all day. According to her, the only people who she’s seen come to the house are in the house.” He tells the other cop.

 

“Did you show her the picture that we have of Mr. Novotny?” He asks his partner.

 

“Yes, and she told me that he and a woman with red hair are over here causing problems a lot, but she didn’t see him today.” He tells us.

 

“That’s why I had my CFO get the restraining order, I’m tired of the constant harassment. I tried not to do it because at one time we were like family, but I can’t let them continue to disrupt my house.” Brian tells him.

 

“Ask the neighbor about how after the mother or son is asked to leave, my next visit is you guys with false reports of abuse. I was even accused of raping a hustler here, while I was out of town.” He tells them.

 

They tell him they would look into the issues Brian brought up, but didn’t really think someone like Justin was capable of lifting a man his size up and over into a dumpster as tall as him. I had to hold in ‘but the three bears could’.

 

DEB

 

The manager of the diner told me that he wasn’t sure how to handle the fact that no one wanted me to serve them. He was also worried that he would lose business if he kept me on. I told him that he couldn’t fire me over a doctored video. He told me that he could send me home since no one was willing to have me wait on them. 

 

I decided Michael and I were going to go to Brian’s and threaten to sue them for slandering me and the possibility I could lose my job, because of them. It’s times like this that I wish we hadn’t sided with Lindsay, because I could use Mel, being a lawyer, to help us. Too late for getting a lawyer to help us for free. I got home and am going to have to tell Michael he needs to send the toys back because we need the money to pay the bills before they are two months late.

 

Michael walks in the door a couple hours later. He was wearing scrubs for some reason.

 

“Michael why aren’t you dressed for work? What happened to your face?” I ask him.

 

“I didn’t go. I went to talk to Brian, but you’ll never guess who was at the door.” He tells me.

 

“Who? Last time I was there he had a guy sitting on the couch, probably a trick. Tall, black hair, nice build, you know the kind Brian likes to fuck, was it him? Because I have a score to settle with him”. I tell him.

 

“NO MA, it was the fucking twink.” He tells me.

 

“No, the guy isn’t a twink.” I tell him.

 

“Ma, fucking listen to me. Justin Taylor was at Brian’s house. He hit me Ma.” Michael tells me.

 

“Justin is back?” I hoped he was wrong, because this would cause us all kinds of headaches for us.

 

“YES MOTHER, but he fucking hit me. Next thing I know I’m in the dumpster behind Babylon. I tried to tell the cops he must have been hoping to kill me. They all acted like I was making it up.” He tells me.

 

“You were in the dumpster, how did you get there?” I ask him.

 

“Justin dumped me in there.” He tells me.

 

“What did the cops do? I hope they put his ass in jail for hurting you.” I tell him.

 

“They acted like I was lying. Then they handed me this.” Michael hands me a paper.

 

“They let Brian put a restraining order on you?” I ask him.

 

“You too Ma. The cop who brought me home asked me to tell you to come to the door.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll go to the door, but they better reassure me that Justin is being picked up. No one hurts you baby.” I tell him.

 

I walked to the door prepared to tell him to fucking arrest Justin for hurting Michael. I didn’t get a word out before he shoved my restraining order in my hand.

 

“This is just to inform you that if you go within five hundred feet of Mr. Kinney, he can have you arrested.” He tells me.

 

“My son was hurt and we get a restraining order?” I snapped at him.

 

“The complaint was followed up on but there is no one who says Michael Novotny was at Brian Kinney’s house. They questioned the neighbor who was home all day, and the cops who interviewed Mr. Thomas just don’t believe someone his size could have lifted your son into the dumpster.” He tells me.

 

“Mr. Taylor not Thomas, if you had questioned the right person, then maybe I would be the one with the restraining order.” I tell him.

 

“The only person at the house who fit Mr Novotny’s complaint was Mr Thomas. If you want to file a complaint that up to you. I’m just here to answer any questions you have about the restraining order. If you don’t have any questions about that, then you can go to the station with your son and file a complaint.” He tells me and leaves my porch.

 

They better believe I’m going to fucking complain, Michael isn’t going to be shoved aside for Justin and whoever this Thomas guy was. I was about to tell Michael we were going over there, but realized that it might be better to not have to figure out where to get bail money. 

 

“Michael you need to call Lindsay and tell her to get her ass back here. We are going need her to help us.” I tell him. 

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I wanted a chance to talk to Justin, because it was time he knew what our relationship was like. Max was right, I needed to tell Justin the truth before anyone else told him their version of it. Max and Emmett told us they would watch the kids. Justin told me that we could go to his house, since it was unlikely the Novotny’s knew where he lived. I wanted to pack the kids up and take them to his house too, but I got Max and Emmett to promise that if Deb or Michael showed up to call the police and keep the kids away. 

 

Once we were at Justin’s house I was trying to figure out what to say.

 

“Well, are you going to talk?” Justin asked me after a few minutes.

 

I was trying to figure out how to tell him what a shit I was, only everything I thought of would have me kicking my ass out of his life. I wanted a chance with Justin, but the truth wasn’t pretty.

 

“I need to tell you about the way we were before you left.” I tell him.

 

“Why? It’s not like it matters anymore.” He tells me.

 

“I just don’t think you being blindsided by our past is going to make it easy for you to trust me.” I tell him.

 

“Go ahead, but you need to understand that the past to me is the past. It’s who you are now that matters.” He tells me. I was hoping that after I told him everything he would feel the same way.

 

“When you came into my life, I wasn’t ready to give up the way my life had been. I made you think you were a pain in my ass. I set out to show you that I didn’t need or want a relationship, by ignoring you and fucking men around you. The problem was inside my head, I wanted you around, but I couldn’t let you see that. I won’t lie to you and say that I was in love with you then, but I saw the possibility. It scared the hell out of me, I didn’t want to care that much about anyone else. So when the burglary happened, I used it as a way to kick you out. I acted as if I didn’t care that you disappeared.” I tell him.

 

“So in essence, you were trying to keep your life the same and I was in the way. I don’t want you to feel like you have to be with me because you feel guilty for what ended up happening.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not guilt, I wouldn’t even being trying to get you back if it was that. It’s just, after you were gone, I missed you being there. You would do all these little things to show me you cared but didn’t push for more from me. It was nice for once not having to constantly take care of someone, but to have someone take care of me. It was after you disappeared that I looked at the people who I thought were my family and saw the difference. You didn’t want me to take care of you, you wanted me to care about you. All my life, people used me to do things for them, and doled out their love for me based on my giving them what they wanted. You confused me by not asking for things, not putting conditions on me. In a way I have you to thank for not letting people use me as a bank. I used every resource I had trying to find you. So when they came with their hands out, I turned them away, so that I could use the money to find you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, how much were you putting into the search for me?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t and don’t care about the money Justin. I wanted you back and the money was a way to find you and  try to get you back.” I tell him.

 

“I guess what I’m trying to ask you is, why weren’t there any leads?” He asked me.

 

“What do you mean by that?” I ask him.

 

“Just that I didn’t lead a quiet life. I did really well in New York, so it’s not like a detective couldn’t have stumbled onto me. I was at a lot of functions with Max, who always makes the papers. The name wouldn’t have been the same and we did keep it quiet about the amnesia, but I look the same, so how hard would it have been to see a picture of me in a paper or on the news?” He asks me.

 

“Good question, I don’t know. I never looked at the arts section unless it was about business, and didn’t watch segments on entertainment on television.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, it was also years before I was really on the news, so it could have just been that Max didn’t want to use anything that would bring con artists out to claim to be long lost relatives. He worried about that because it happened to him.” He tells me.

 

“People will do all sorts of things for money, so I understand him wanting to be cautious about you and I really appreciate that he did that for your sake.” I tell him.

 

“Max also didn’t have memory loss, so when someone came to him, claiming to be his relative, Max showed them to the door. I can read people, but if someone offered me a chance to find out about my life, I might have listened until I realized they were lying.” He tells me.

 

“I just don’t want Deb, Michael, or Lindsay telling you something that is going to make you think that I was a heartless shit.” I tell him.

 

“If you were, that’s in the past. Show me who you are, and we can work from there. We might not have more than an attraction, neither of us is the person we were, so who knows if we would still want each other.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, you care about people, and always have. That is the person I fell in love with, and I want you to know I did end up loving you. You would do whatever it took to take care of the people you love, and that hasn’t changed. Amnesia didn't change that about you. It’s why I want to protect you from the others.” I tell him.

 

“I won’t put up with people hurting my child and now children. I just don’t understand this Deb woman, what the hell is it with her? Why is she so set on making you love her son?” He asks me.

 

“Because if Michael wants something he gets it. She isn’t the mom we all thought she was. As long as I put Michael first, Deb was fine. It was when you first came around that she was constantly reminding me that Michael was such a great friend. She backed off when he was dating a doctor, but I think it was her hoping Michael would get a rich husband. He dumped the doctor the minute you disappeared.” I tell him.

 

“You’d think if she wanted someone to support them she would have made Michael stick to the doctor.” He tells me.

 

“She tried to get me to do something to help Michael get David back, I told her to go to hell. She tried to get David to take Michael back, but when it didn’t work, she and Michael tried to live at my loft. They said it was because they were worried about you and wanted to help. Although telling me to leave it to your mother to find you and get on with my life was a stupid way to go about it.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t get why with all the ways they wanted to trap you, Deb didn’t see Jewel as a way?” He asks me.

 

“At the time, I think she thought your mom would take her and I wouldn’t care about a kid that wasn’t mine.” I tell him.

 

“They didn’t know you as well as they thought.” He tells me.

 

“No, because if they did they would have understood that I would care about and love anything that linked me to you. Jewel became my child, because I wanted to hold onto any piece of you I could get. Jewel changed everything for me. I had this beautiful little girl who needed a family and someone to love her. Everyone but Gus became less important.” I tell him.

 

“I have to say it, I’m glad they thought you wouldn’t care. I would hate to have to fight them for Jewel, because that woman and her son shouldn’t be raising a child, any child.” He tells me.

 

“All that aside, I need you to know that I’m through giving in to them. We might end up with all sorts of problems coming from that camp, especially if they get Lindsay in on it.” I tell him.

 

“What’s she like?” He ask me.

 

“Uber bitch would be putting it nicely, she can be all serene, mother of the year and then it’s all about her. Ted and Emmett thought it was that she wanted me to be in a relationship with her, but it’s not. She likes to cause problems. She liked that Mel and I hated each other, and would play us off of each other. We fell for it because it looked like Lindsay was trying to play peacemaker. Mel and I aren’t ever going to be best friends and a lot of that came from Lindsay alway making sure Mel knew that I was important in her life, in a way more important than Mel. Lindsay wouldn’t want me as anything more than a checkbook, because I won’t let her play lady of the manor. Mel loved her enough to allow her to do what she wanted. I still remember her trying to be nice to me when they wanted me to sign my rights away. You weren’t very happy with me when I told them I would do it, but I thought it would be good for Gus. I was glad when I didn’t sign my rights away to Gus, because Lindsay could have made my life all kinds of hell.” I tell him. 

 

Justin seems to be thinking of something because he looks confused and angry at the same time. After a second he looks at me.

 

“THAT MOTHER FUCKING BITCH!” Justin yells.

 

“Yeah she is, but you don’t have to feel that strongly about it.” I joke.

 

“Brian, I was with you when they talked to you?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, why?” I ask him.

 

“What does Mel look like?” He asks me

 

“She’s petite, brunette, a bit butch, would have been really pretty if she wasn’t trying so hard to be a dyke.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay, blonde about my height?” He ask me.

 

“Good description, she comes from a well to do family. In a weird way she’s like your mom, well put together, just a bitch, unlike your mom.” I tell him. It took me a second to realize he described Lindsay without me telling him what she looked like. “Wait how do you know what Lindsay looks like?” I ask him.

 

“I sometimes have what seems like a daydream but it feels real. I just don’t know the people and I let it go, because I never had anyone to ask about it. So I let it go. I can’t let this go.” He tells me.

 

“I never signed my rights away, so there isn’t anything for you to be upset about.” I tell him.

 

“How about the fact that Lindsay has known where I was for at least the last four years, can you let that go?” He asks me.

 

“Can you explain that, because it’s going to be open season on Lindsay if you're telling me the truth.” I tell him.

 

He starts dialing on his phone.

 

“Hey Jay, you get any? Cause if I had Emmett alone without the monkeys, I’d be naked and entertaining.” Max tells him.

 

“My children better not have heard that.” Justin tells him.

 

“Jesus Jay, you think I would say something like that in front of your babies. I’m with the women folk, so we’re safe. Although your mom is turning kind of red. Mom, he obviously did the dirty with Mr. Kinney, cause you know Aidan wasn’t the immaculate conception. So Jay what you want, cause you should really end the dry spell and take a test drive on the Kinney express.” Max is my new best friend.

 

“MAX.” Justin said it like a parent.

 

“Jay, what the hell is going on?” Max asks him, but it's like silly queen turned off and Mad Max is here. 

 

“I need you to get to my house, because I need you to stop Brian and I from killing Liddy.” Justin tells him.

 

“Don’t tell me the woman found you. I know she’s been asking everyone where you are.” He tells us.

 

“No, but if the woman I saw in my head is Gus’s mom, then Liddy has some explaining to do. Is there a picture of her anywhere?” Justin looks at me. I shake my head no, because I didn’t want him to see Lindsay and be right.

 

“Tell Justin to look at his website, there’s a picture of her in the background of one of the photo’s. I took a few that day at the GLC, but I wanted pictures of Justin and I not them. Um, who’s Liddy?” Daphne asks.

 

“Wait Jay, I got it pulled up let me look. It looks like her, less polish than we’re used to and she is in the background so could just be lighting. Do me a favor and stay at the house, let me and Ted look into this, we are less likely to be murderers at the end of the day. Like Emmett mentioned, jail isn’t like a porno, so us gay boys don’t want to be there.” Max hangs up.

 

I suddenly remember something and turn my phone and show him Lindsay. I never erased it because this was someone I used to love like a sister.

 

“Justin, please tell me that this isn’t Liddy?” I beg him. I need to hear him tell me that the last four years couldn't have been avoided.

 

“Seems she goes by more than one name.” He tells me. Lindsay died for me in that minute.

 

“I need to go. Deb is going to tell me where the fuck Lindsay is. I’m going to make everyone who ever robbed us of a life, pay.” I tell him.

 

“No, Deb isn’t going to tell you anything. You can’t violate your own restraining order. Think of the kids, they need their father.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, I need to be the one who takes care of the shit they did to us.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, restraining orders work both ways, if you go within five hundred feet of them and talk to them you end up in trouble, because they just don’t give them for shits and giggles.” He tells me.

 

“Is there something you need to tell me?” I never asked him about other relationships.

 

“No, but Max has had to do them a couple times, when his ex’s caused damage to property.” He tells me.

 

“What do you expect me to do? I can’t sit here and do nothing.” I tell him.

 

Justin smiles his biggest smile. “No, but maybe you could try to jog my memory.” He tells me.

 

“You want to hear more about your life?” I ask him.

 

“Um, no.” He tells me as he walks closer.

 

“I could take you on a ride around to places you used to know.” I tell him.

 

“No, don’t want a ride in a car, Mr Kinney.” Justin looks up into my eyes.

 

“What kind of ride do you need?” I ask him.

 

“How about aboard the Kinney Express?” He asks me.

 

“Are you sure, because as much as I want to, I don’t want a relationship that is all about sex.” I want to kick my own ass for just not striping out of my clothes.

 

“At least we can see if we still fit.” He tells me.

 

“Why now?” I need to shut up.

 

“You taking charge turned me on, of course you turn me on, so who’s to say. Either way, I’d rather enjoy you than deal with them today. So what do you say, want to try to make a memory with me?” Justin turns and starts taking off his clothes as he walks through the living room entrance and up the stairs. He throws a smile over his shoulder. 

 

It took less than a second for me to debate what to do, sorry folks but it’s been five years since my last time with him and he’s right, we can deal with everything else later.

 

I followed him to his room and watched as Justin finished undressing, he filled out in his arms and chest, less twink, and why am I not undressed? I undressed under his watchful eyes, and could see him assessing me.

 

“Anything familiar?” I ask him.

 

“No, but that’s half the fun, we get to start anew. Which means I’m going to enjoy all things Kinney.” He tells me.

 

“I want more than one night.” I tell him. 

 

“Then prove to me we were more. Show me what you couldn’t say.” He tells me. 

 

I realize that part of what worked for us was that what I could never say to him in the past, I tried to show him. It was time to find the man he loved all those years ago. 

 

I walked up to the man that was a ghost haunting my dreams and touched flesh and blood. It was no longer a dream, but reality. I wanted to worship him, so there would be no misunderstanding between us. Instead of throwing him on the bed, I got down on my knees to do something I never would do for anyone but him. I slid my hands up his chest and leaned in to take him into my mouth. When he moaned, I wanted to see to look of ecstasy he got from this. We were looking at each other and it made me want to make him cum, because it turned me on when Justin reached total bliss. I began working him deeper into my throat and hummed to play with his nerve endings. I could feel he was losing control and I knew he loved having me fuck his ass with my fingers, while I blew him. I brought my fingers down to massage his entrance, but Justin seem to want more than that.

 

“Show me how we fit, I don’t want to be alone in pleasure.” He tells me. 

 

He pulled me up to him and handed me a condom. I wanted him to be sure this is what he wanted, because there would be no way to escape me after this.

 

“I won’t let you go. If we do this, we make it work this time.” I tell him.

 

“We have a clean slate, so don’t hide your love. It’s all I need from you.” He tells me.

 

I grab the condom. It’s time to practice no regrets, because Justin needs me to be more than a man with hundreds of regrets. Justin lays back on the bed and waits for me. I want him to remember everything, but he’s right, with a clean slate I am no longer a prisoner of my past.

 

I crawl over him and want us to stay face to face. Leaning down to taste his lips, I grab the lube he put on the bed and use it to help prepare him for me. Justin was moaning when I inserted the first finger, when I started to use two he was riding my hand. I needed to join us, removing my hand I moved my cock to his bud and started slowly thrusting in. Justin wanted more so I stopped trying to go slowly and thrust in all the way. I stopped and looked to see that I didn’t hurt him, and realized he was waiting for me to move.

 

“I’m fine.” He tells me.

 

It was all I needed to hear. I started to make love to Justin, because I could do it without worrying about how he was going to use it against me. I could feel the tingle that my release was coming and wanted Justin to join me. I began driving against the nerves that would have him climax and barely held off until I felt the walls of his ass pulsate against my cock. I thrust faster and faster and allowed myself satisfaction, when I felt Justin’s cum between us. Collapsing on top of him, I breathed in a scent that was always familiar to me, Justin and our love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I waited for Brian’s breathing to even out, because he needs the sleep. It would also make it easier for me to sneak out of the house. I don’t want him to have to do what is already hurting him, so I’ll do it for him. I don’t know these assholes, and they can’t really hurt me. I eased the door open and crept down the stairs. Now, what to do, do I visit Deb and let her pretend she fucking cares about anyone but herself and Michael, or call the last artist Liddy sleep with? 

 

“You stay the fuck out of this Jay.” Max says from my living room.

 

“Lower your voice you asshole.” I tell him. I look and the bedroom door was still closed.

 

“I’m trying to save myself the bail money.” He tells me.

 

“Take it out of my account.” I tell him.

 

“Jay, think for a minute before you run to the rescue. You don’t remember these people, who knows what you would be walking into. Maybe the reason you never remember them is because your mind wanted them gone.” He tells me.

 

“So I wanted Brian gone?” I ask him.

 

“Don’t take this like it’s going to sound, but from all accounts he was a dick to you. He pushed you away, treated you like crap, and kicked you to the curb. Why would you want to remember that? I’d be glad not to remember someone treating me like shit.” He tells me.

 

“MAX.” I was angry he was talking about Brian like that.

 

“BUT, he was a man who was still dealing with the aftermath of abuse. We don’t trust easily, and if he never dealt with it, what he was doing makes sense, to the adult me. It wouldn’t to someone at eighteen, who was sheltered growing up. SO LIKE I SAID, your eighteen year old mind didn’t see it the way your now twenty-three year old mind would. Hence, not wanting to remember the pain. Now on to what you think you were going to do. We have to know the players or we don’t play the game, you taught me that. Why are you not listening to your own rules?” He asks me.

 

He’s right, unless I know who I’m dealing with, it would be a giant mistake to confront them. I just want to spare Brian from having to realize his so called family sucks the big fat one.

 

“Max, how do I fix this for him? I don’t care what he was like before, he’s a good man and deserves better.” I tell him.

 

“Only you could fall in love twice with the same guy, and in only a couple days both times.” He jokes.

 

“He’s just that good.” I smirk.

 

“Dude you scored. I’m so proud of my baby, and disappointed you couldn’t wait a week, you slut.” He laughs.

 

“Unlike you, I like to know what I’m getting. If you’d just fuck them first you’d know you were going to want an exit faster.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, Mr Two Dates in Five Years, explain how a guy who never had a relationship can give me advice?” He ask me.

 

“It’s why I never had a relationship. They sucked in bed. Plus I was always waiting for a guy I wanted to chase, not one that wanted to chase me.” I tell him.

 

“Did Mr. Kinney make your heart go pitter patter? If not can I have him? And Emmett too, cause imagine a top and a bottom. I’d be in heaven.” He tells me.

 

“Stick to Emmett, because our friendship will end if you look at Brian that way.” I tell him.

 

“Oh my God, you would pick someone over me? I need to go upstairs and tell Brian he has ‘gone where no man has gone before’, the heart of Jay Thomas.” He smiles at me.

 

“You’d just be jealous, because naked, he’s beyond what mortals like you could ever dream of.” I tell him.

 

“Seriously Jay, do you think he’s someone you want a future with, or is he a link to your past?” He asks me.

 

“I’m not absolutely sure yet, but I want the chance to know him.” I tell him.

 

“Then let me handle Liddy, she’s worse than the other two, she knew and toyed with you. The other two would have shouted loudly that you abandoned Brian and took off to greener pastures, while telling Brian where to find you. In the end they will shoot themselves in the foot, and you can mess with them all you want. Liddy requires a lot more finesse.” He tells me.

 

“What are you thinking?” I ask him.

 

“Making all the doors of the art world slam shut in her face. She wants to come to my town and mess with my brother, it’s time I use my influence to fuck her up. I was thinking of inviting Sam to visit.” He tells me.

 

“Sam likes them young, not her age.” I tell him.

 

“He would also like to display his work with yours. He would dive into the stinky pussy, if you’ll agree to a joint show.” He tells me.

 

“Interesting idea, but what would he do to Liddy?” I ask him.

 

“Make her think she’s his muse, then show up with new muses in front of everyone. You know Sam, he would want to tell everyone he bagged the bitch just to see what it was like to fuck a used up lesbian. Sam’s a sleaze, but he has his uses.” He tells me.

 

BRIAN

 

I woke up alone and was a little upset that Justin wasn’t here. At least he was still in the house, I could hear him talking downstairs. I walked to the top of the stairs and listen to Justin telling Max that I’m just that good. This was a conversation I wanted to hear more of. I almost wanted to go caveman when Justin said that no one made him want to chase them. Does that mean they were chasing Justin? Okay, so I chased him too, but fuck it, he’s mine so I can leave it alone. 

 

Then I heard the one thing that cemented Max in the friendship category forever. Justin told him he would chose me. Max wasn’t really upset about it. I guess it’s hard for me to understand not wanting Justin as more, because I always have. 

 

They were discussing ways to topple Lindsay. I figured I’d better get some clothes on, because the Sam idea had merit, but could backfire. They needed to understand Lindsay better, she would just regroup and turn it on them. I was getting dressed when Justin came back upstairs.

 

“How much did you hear?” He asked me.

 

“Enough.” I tell him.

 

“Max is just thinking, he hasn’t made up his mind and unless we agree he won’t do anything.” Justin tells me.

 

“He needs to know more about her, but I was talking about the conversation before that one.” I tell him.

 

“And?” He asks me.

 

“I’ll let you chase me, but truthfully I would rather us run to each other. I think you did enough chasing me in the past.” I tell him 

 

“The fact that I want to chase you is something new for me. It’s more than I ever wanted with anyone in the last five years.” He tells me. I know we’re golden, because he still wants me. 

 

LINDSAY

 

God, why is it when I’ve had a late night the Novotny’s have to call nonstop for hours. I really didn’t want to deal with their shit today. I wanted to know where the hell Justin disappeared to, no one knows anything and the ones that do are staying silent. Fucking Max managed to stop artists from talking to me if they wanted a show with fucking Jay Thomas. How the fuck Justin managed to be friends with Max is still a mystery. If Max doesn’t want you to know, nobody will tell you. 

 

I remember following Brian to the gallery at Justin’s first show. Of course I didn’t know it was Justin yet but I wanted to find out why Brian was in New York. I agreed that I would stay here and see if Brian found Justin, while Michael and Deb would watch from Pittsburgh. I remember walking to the other side of the gallery to avoid Brian and seeing Justin standing there in the back of the gallery. I was about to run to keep him from seeing me, when he looked at me and there was no recognition in his eyes. He turned to look at a painting, so I walked right up to him and talked about the painting. It was as if I was talking to a stranger. All I could think was he doesn’t remember me, so I could make his life miserable. When Max told Justin his painting sold, I snuck to the front and had to keep Brian from seeing Justin. I did what I knew would keep them apart, I made friends with Jay and kept him with me all night. It was laughably easy since he didn't remember anything. It also served as a great way to blackmail Michael, because it wasn’t likely Michael would find out Justin wasn’t a threat to him like he thought. 

 

After that it was just a matter of fucking the PI to keep quiet. I wanted to make Brian pay for fucking up my life with Mel. I couldn’t have Mel anymore, so he couldn’t have Justin. It helped that Deb is delusional enough to see her son as a catch, for any man. Of course Michael is the classic example of someone only a mother could love. Shit, I better answer or I’ll never get them to stop calling.

 

“Hello Michael, what is so fucking important that you couldn’t wait for a reasonable hour to fucking call?” I tell him.

 

“Guess who returned from the dead Lindsay?” Michael asks me.

 

“Captain Astro?” I ask the moron.

 

“Did you hear that from somewhere?” He sounds all excited, he can’t be fucking serious.

 

“No Michael, do you honestly think I give two shits about Captain Astro, Turd?” I sneer at him.

 

“Take that back.” And this is why I hate dealing with Michael.

 

“What are you going to do, tell your mommy? Grow up dipshit.” I tell him.

 

“Fine, I guess you don’t care that the twink is back in town.” He tells me.

 

“Someone trying to steal Brian from you again? I keep telling you, after the shit you did with the loft and stealing sperm, he wasn’t going to want anything to do with you.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t act so innocent, you were right there with me. You and Ma acted like I needed to trap Brian. If I had waited he would have eventually come to me.” Did I mention that Michael is delusional too?

 

“Keep dreaming, Brian was never going to be into a whiny, petulant, mama's boy like you, hell, you don’t even have the looks for Brian to even consider you a trick. You called for a reason, some twink is in town, and...?” I ask him.

 

“JUSTIN TAYLOR. Ring any bells Lindsay? If he tells Brian about us, you'll be in as much trouble as I will be in.” He tells me. Poor Mikey, he doesn’t know that Justin doesn't remember Pittsburgh, it’s how I've been keeping him from blabbing to mommy. He knows attempted murder means jail time.

 

“I didn’t try to kill him Michael, you did. I just suggested New York and helped him purchase a ticket, you’re the dumb ass who followed him, and then didn’t even make sure you killed him when you hit him.” I tell him.

 

“I wasn’t trying to kill him.” Shit, will he ever learn to talk without whining.

 

“What did you expect when you hit someone in the back of the head?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t know, I just wanted him out of Brian’s life, not dead. I never should have told you anything, it's not like Justin saw me. I can always tell people you’re lying, because I can’t afford to keep paying you to keep you from telling. Sooner or later my boss is going to figure out I've been stealing from the store. If Justin ever figured out it was me, wouldn’t he have told by now?” He asks me.

 

“Then stop sending me money and I’ll just tell Justin the truth, no skin off my back. I don’t care about you, I just wanted Brian to pay for Mel leaving me. My life is already ruined, want me to ruin yours?” I ask him. 

 

“I guess Ma and I will have to handle it. I'll tell her you told me to keep quiet about where Justin was.” He tells me.

 

“Tell your mother to wait for me to get there, because you two are total fuck-ups. You’d likely end up in a dumpster, after Brian killed you.” I tell him. Last thing I need is Deb on my ass.

 

I hang up on him, but could swear he said he already had. Had what?

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I was told someone wanted me to post, so for you, and because Lori is awesome.

MICHAEL

 

Why did I ever trust Lindsay? I was going to tell Ma that I knew where Justin was but I didn’t know how to tell her what I did that day. I was just going to tell Justin to stay gone, but I was angry that Brian didn’t turn to me. Brian told me to leave him alone when I tried to tell him he did the right thing by kicking Justin out. He even kicked me out without even giving me a chance to show him that I was a better choice for boyfriend. I was just angry that Justin had what I wanted, so instead of telling him off, I followed him until he was alone. I still don’t understand where he was going that day, just that it was like we were touring the city. 

 

He walked to a pay phone and all I wanted to do was stop him from calling Brian. So I picked up a piece of pipe I saw laying on the ground and hit him with it. I didn’t mean to do it, it was just wanting to keep him from Brian that caused me to do it. I was standing there and realized that I needed to get Justin away from the street, because if I had killed him I was in a lot of trouble. I dragged him to the alley and searched him. I got his wallet and the paper with Brian’s credit card number on it. I figured I had time to get home and cover my tracks. I just hoped Justin would stay gone. Nobody wanted him around anyway. 

 

I should have just keep it to myself, because Lindsay, instead of the friend I thought she was, turned into a conniving bitch, always about money, not Brian. She told me to keep it quiet because if anyone found out I could end up getting a long time in jail. Then told me that if I didn’t start paying for her silence, she’d tell on me. 

 

Lindsay hung up on me and I turned to see my Ma looking at me.

 

“Michael, what was that about?” She asks me.

 

“Nothing. Lindsay didn’t want to help us.” I tell her.

 

“Michael what did you mean you weren’t trying to kill him?” She asks me.

 

“It was just a joke Ma.” I tell her.

 

“Don’t lie to me, you’ve been stealing to pay Lindsay to keep her from telling what?” She asks me.

 

“Shit Ma, I was angry that even after Brian kicked Justin out, he was still turning me away. So I followed Justin when Lindsay told me the flight he took to New York. I didn’t mean to hit him so hard.” I tell her.

 

“WHAT DID YOU DO?” She yells at me.

 

“I just picked up a pipe and hit him. I dragged him off the street and into an alley because I was afraid someone would call the police. Nobody saw me, not even Justin.” I tell her.

 

“Michael stay away from Justin. We can’t take a chance on him ever figuring out it was you.” She tells me, at least Ma is on my side.

 

“I don’t think he knows, but Lindsay is threatening to tell if I don’t keep paying her.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll handle Lindsay, she better just keep her ass in New York. We can handle Justin, I’ll just remind him what Brian was like, how bad the asshole treated him and who loved him.” She tells me.

 

DEB

 

That bitch better not come to my house and think I’ll welcome her ass. She thinks that blackmailing Michael is something I won’t kick her ass for. I dial the bitch to let her know what I think of her.

 

“Jesus Michael, I’m coming. Tell the bitch that birthed you to hold her fucking horses.” Lindsay says to me.

 

“You told me for him, and as far as I’m concerned, this bitch is going to kick your ass.” I tell her.

 

“Michael opened his mouth I see.” She sounds bored.

 

“How could you do that to my son? We stood by you when everyone else walked away and this is how you repay the debt?” I ask her.

 

“What did you do that was worth my time? I had to sit and listen to you act like your son was the greatest thing on the planet. How do we all owe it to you because you birthed an idiot? Neither one of you ever thinks, just hops from one stupid idea to another. I lost everything and somehow you thought Michael’s issues were the only things that were important. Mel meant everything to me.” She thinks anyone believes that.

 

“So much that you had a baby with a man she hates, really not a way to show your love for Mel.” I tell her.

 

“Mel wanted a child, and I wanted a way to get out of the shitty house and car we had. Brian could have helped make Mel and I not have to struggle.” She tells me.

 

“No, you wanted to rub it in mommy and daddy’s rich faces that you could have the life they had. Mel was just your way of pissing them off.” I throw the truth in her face.

 

“You can say anything you want, but I loved her, you won’t take that from me.” She tells me.

 

“Your love isn’t worth the time it took for her to kick you out. Stay the hell away from my son, and if you open your mouth, I’ll make sure Brian and Mel think you were with Michael in New York. They’d believe you are crazy enough to hurt Justin, not Michael. Think about it, who’s been in New York this whole time? Not my son.” I tell her.

 

“I could always tell everyone you guys paid me to stay and keep Justin from coming home.” She tells me.

 

“Just stay the fuck away from Pittsburgh, you won’t like what I’ll do to you if you come back here.” I warn her and hang up.

 

No one is going to send my son to prison. Hopefully Justin will just stay unaware of what Michael did.

 

BRIAN

 

Never let four princesses sit in a room and try to make a plan, they come up with all kinds of crazy ass ideas. Thank God for Ted, he was the only voice of reason between Blake, Justin, Emmett and Daphne.

 

“I can play the young hot muse.” Daphne tells us.

 

“Daphne, believe me, you don’t want to have Sam all over you. We can hire a hooker.” Justin tells her.

 

“I could always dress in drag, it would really piss Lindsay off that she turned a guy onto dick. Isn’t that why she’s been pissed at you for years Brian. You never fucked another woman after her.” Emmett looks at me.

 

“Ted could you find out where she has been getting the money to finance the whole New York excursion? And maybe get her put in jail for tax fraud.” Even Ted wondered where Blake came up with that one.

 

“Or you guys could be good little boys and girls and let Uncle Maxie handle it.” Max tell them.

 

“Maxie, can’t you let us help?” Emmett bats his eyes.

 

“If he keeps flirting with me, you guys will be on your own for a couple of days. Cause Uncle Max needs to get Emmett alone and naked.” Max tells us.

 

“Honey, it would take a week for me to be happy.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Okay children, I can’t get Lindsay for tax fraud, because I don’t have a legal way to trace money. Shut up Max, if you do don’t tell us, then it’s not aiding and abetting. As much as Emmett in drag sounds like fun, Lindsay would see through it, since the general consensus is that Sammy boy likes them young and FEMALE. Daphne, no one will allow you to get molested by a pervert. Instead let Sam find a legal young female, not one you could get in trouble for soliciting. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?” Ted tells them.

 

“That was kind of hot.” Justin tells Blake.

 

“I know, it’s like he channels Brian. I love when he gets all in-charge.” Blake tells us.

 

“I know it, too bad Ted and I never made it. I would have loved to see that side of him.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Yeah, my girl parts got all tingly, do it again Ted.” Daphne tells Ted.

 

“Your turn, because they aren’t listening to me.” Ted tells us.

 

“Me neither, and Emmett is looking kind of yummy.” Max tells Emmett, whose smile promises all kinds of fun for Max.

 

“How about we call Sam and see what he wants to do?” I tell them.

 

“Um, Brian, couldn’t you do the whole take charge thing, we want to compare.” Daphne tells me.

 

“It’s really hot, but then look at him.” Justin tells them, waving his hand around like he’s showing off a prize on a game show. They all turn and look at me like I’m a piece of steak. Yes, I’m vain enough to like it.

 

“Sam is going to do it because Justin is his equal and it would be a sell out show.” Max tells us.

 

“But can he convince Lindsay?” I ask Max.

 

“Yes, because Liddy or Lindsay wants to show off, always wants to be on the arm of someone like Sam. It’s the ‘look who wants me’ thing.” Max tells me.

 

“You don’t think she was just trying to screw with Justin?” Daphne asks us.

 

“No, because she was around before Justin came onto the art scene. Maybe she was looking to see if Justin surfaced?” Max tells us.

 

“It makes me wonder how much she knows about Justin being hurt.” Blake tells us.

 

“Why would you say that?” I ask Blake.

 

“How did she know Justin wouldn’t recognize her? It doesn’t make sense she would risk Justin seeing her if the point was for Justin to stay gone. Maybe she was going to tell him not to come home, but Justin didn’t recognize her at all and she played off that?” Blake tells us.

 

“BRIAN.” Ted yells at my back.

 

“Stop him.” Max yells.

 

“Brian, if you run off to chase after them, I won’t be here when you get back.” Justin warns me.

 

“Justin, don’t fucking threaten to leave me. I won’t play that game with you.” I tell him, turning around to face him.

 

“Fuck, I just want us to be together. I’m sorry, I should never have said that to you.” Justin runs to me and wraps himself around me. “Please don’t be mad at me.” He whispers over and over, kissing me.

 

“It’s not something you can say after all this.” I whisper to him, holding my future tightly in my arms.

 

“Then stay with me, we can let Max handle this. I need to prove to you and the children that I’m worth your love.” Justin tells me.

 

“You don’t have to prove that, I know, even if you don’t remember, I know. You changed everything for me.” I tell him.

 

“You can change that? Why did I just think that?” Justin looks confused.

 

“I said that to you the night we met. I asked if you where you were headed and you told me…”

 

“No place special.” Justin smiled

 

“I told you I could change that, and you trusted me to do it.” I tell him.

 

“Do you remember that?” Daphne and Emmett ask at the same time.

 

“I didn’t see it just the words.” Justin tells me.

 

“They were more important.” I tell him.

 

“Can we just get to know each other and let everyone else plan? I need time to get Gus and Jewel to know me, and Aidan needs to have his dad get to know him.” He tells me.

 

“Ted you need to make sure Max knows the Lindsay we know. Get Mel to help you, she will help when she finds out about Justin.” I tell them.

 

“Okay, definitely gets it from Brian, because I think I need to find my boyfriend and deal with my problem.” Daphne tells us as she leaves the house.

 

“Ted can we go?” Blake begs.

 

“Max, care to show me your room?” Emmett tells Max.

 

I take Justin with me to my house, there is no way I want to hear Emmett and Max go at it. Justin is quiet in the car.

 

“It’s okay, you just caught me off guard when you said what you did.” I tell him.

 

“That’s not it.” Justin tells me.

 

“Then what is it?” I ask him.

 

“Everyone is getting laid and we’re going home to three kids. How do I deal with the fact that I want you to bend me like a pretzel and still manage to deal with our children?” He asks me.

 

“Welcome to the world of children.” I tell him.

 

“Please, I’ve had Aidan for the last four years.” He tells me.

 

“And what about the bend like a pretzel, ever dealt with that at the same time?” I ask.

 

“You have a valid point Mr. Kinney. I will survive, but you better be ready to take care of me tonight.” He tells me. Like that would be a hardship.

 

“When did you meet Liddy?” It’s bothering me.

 

“Um, it was my first show. She was dragging me all over the gallery. Which I didn’t mind because I was nervous. Why?” He asks me.

 

“That was the same night I was there, think about it.” I tell him.

 

“She knows something, but if she was trying to kill me, she wouldn’t have left me laying there. Liddy would have done it right, or am I wrong about the Lindsay you know?” He asks me.

 

“Lindsay wouldn’t have done it herself, but you're right, if she wanted you dead, she would have made sure. I doubt she would have risked you remembering her, because she would want to see what she was paying for and for you to know she inflicted it. So I agree she most likely didn’t hurt you, but I bet she knew something.” I tell him.

 

“You know, not remembering can be comforting, because you have some shitty best friends.” Justin tells me.

 

“No, because the only best friend I ever had is sitting right next to me.” I tell him.

 

“Changed my mind, I want to remember you.” He tells me.

 

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

MAX 

 

You know, Brian has been calling me Mad Max, but I wonder what nickname he would give to this Mel chick, Dyke Avenger comes to mind, but it doesn’t really sing. Lethal Lesbo, not something I would live saying to her. Guess I'll wait for Brian to help with the nickname. 

 

“Are you telling me that all this time that cunt knew where Justin was?” She asks us. 

 

“That’s what Max and Justin told us.” Ted tells her.

 

“Instead of telling us she fucking hid it?” She doesn't seem to be calming down at all.

 

“Yes, Mel.” Ted tells her.

 

“She thinks none of you know, doesn't she?” She asks us. 

 

“Unless Michael has contacted her, she doesn't.” I tell her. 

 

“I need to see Justin, then I'll do whatever you ask.” She tells us. 

 

“Mel, he doesn't remember anything about us.” Emmett tells her.

 

“I don't care, he was important to me. He is the reason I knew Brian would be good for my son. Justin showed me that Brian wasn’t the devil. If Justin saw the good in Brian, then it had to be there.” She looked like she needed a hug. I think I loved her the minute she practically screamed she loves Jay.

 

“There's more, Justin didn’t just leave alone.” Ted tells her.

 

“Please tell me she didn’t leave him there too?” She asks us. 

 

This is the first time I wanted to tell Ted ‘you fucked up, dude’. Instead I tell her about Aidan.

 

“Justin was pregnant when he left.” I tell her. 

 

“Did he have the baby?” She asks me. 

 

“Yes and his name is Aidan. Before you worry, no one knows about Aidan. Justin agreed to keep him a secret.” I tell her. 

 

“You better have not made him ashamed of having a child.” She glares at me. Okay, definitely not someone I want to fight.

 

“No, it’s just with Justin’s net worth we worried someone would kidnap Aidan.” I tell her.

 

“What do you mean Justin’s net worth?” Ted ever the accountant.

 

“You do realize that Justin could sell his work for almost any amount, but he sees that as an asshole thing to do. Justin was smart enough to not go crazy when he had money, instead, and you’ll understand this Ted, he played the market. He has a knack for knowing when to buy and when to sell. Trust me when I say that, because I gave him three million to invest for me and he turned it into a lot more than I’ll ever use.” I tell them.

 

“He’s always been smart, right Ted.” Mel tells us.

 

“Smarter than I ever knew.” Ted tells her.

 

“What do you want me to do to help?” She tells me.

 

“I want to make sure she never shows her face anywhere where Jay is.” I tell her.

 

“How are you planning to do that? I don’t need you to turn this into a three hour question and answer session, just tell me what you want me to do.” She tells me.

 

“I have an artist who is willing to fuck with Lindsay. He’s every groupies dream catch. Well the ones who don’t care what the artist looks like. He is going to wine and dine her, show her the world she has been trying to be a part of, then fuck her over at one of the hottest shows New York has ever seen.” I tell her.

 

“How do you know that it will be the big deal you are trying to convince me you can do?” She asks me.

 

“Oh did I forget to tell you I own Foster Galleries and the other headliner is Jay Thomas?” Okay that was assholish, but she’s really bitchy.

 

“Jay Thomas is going to let you screw around at his show?” She asks us.

 

“So, like don’t go all Thunder Dome on me, did we forget to mention Justin is Jay Thomas?” I ask while cringing at the look she gave me.

 

“You really need to work on your delivery, no you didn’t. So he made it big, that must really piss Lindsay off.” She tells me.

 

“Why? I know she likes to run around as if her opinion is the only one that matters, but why would Jay succeeding matter to her?” I ask them.

 

“Because she was creaming her shorts the minute Justin showed us his first sketches. She wanted to be the person to lead Justin into the art world.” Mel tells me.

 

“That would have been interesting, Jay barely listens to me, and trust me, people listen when I tell them what to do. He’s not someone who would let a wannabe tell him what to do.” I tell her.

 

“Jay might not, but Justin trusted Lindsay. Lindsay is the kind of person that can make you believe she cares, even when she is fucking you over.” Mel could be considered bitter.

 

“I dealt with Jay, who wouldn’t take me up on a free home, until he had Aidan. He wanted to do it on his own. I had to fire his ass to make him work on his art, because the only payment I would take for him living with me was to achieve success at something he was good at.” I tell her.

 

“And what, ten or twenty percent of his sales? Don’t make yourself into someone who didn’t make money off him.” Mel and I are going to go around if she doesn’t stop accusing me of shit.

 

“It’s twenty to display in my gallery, but unlike every other artist I show, Jay is my family. I put every cent of that money in an account for Aidan. Which will now be changed to an account for all the children, including Gus. I don’t want Jay to know because he would be pissed and think I was giving him and Aidan charity. Before you bitch at me, are you involved with Gus?” I ask her.

 

“Let’s not do this. Mel can you help us?” Ted shakes his head at me.

 

“I don’t know what you want me to help with.” She doesn’t seem to want to bitch at me anymore.

 

“Brian wants you to tell Max all about the Lindsay you know. Justin and Max don’t believe you can fight someone effectively if you don’t know them. So one thing we want you to convince us of, is that Lindsay wouldn’t have hurt Justin.” Ted tells her.

 

“Who knows with her? Do I think she would have hit him in the head and left him to die, I think that’s a little too messy for her. It would be more like Michael, in my opinion, but I won’t say absolutely that Lindsay wouldn’t do it. She just wouldn’t risk jail time for anyone. Mom and Dad wouldn’t be thrilled with her.” She tells us.

 

“Why would she care what her parents think?” I ask her.

 

“She has to be getting money from somewhere. The minute she left I cut her off.” She tells me.

 

“Follow the money, Ted. Blake wasn’t talking out his ass. Before we leave, if Jay wants to see you he can, but I think as one of Gus’s other parents you should visit your kid.” I tell her.

 

“How would you know if I was in Gus’s life or not?” She ask me.

 

“Because the only parent he seems to think cares about him is Brian, and that’s really shitty he doesn’t mention you, if you are around.” I tell her.

 

“You don’t understand how hard it is for me.” She tells me.

 

“I don’t fucking care, if that kid means something to you, put aside the bullshit and be there for him.” I tell her.

 

“Max, she loves Gus.” Ted tries to tell me.

 

“Then be his mother, before you’re a distant memory to the kid. It never hurts a child to have too much love but it hurts them when they lose the people who love them. Just something I learned watching Brian care for his children, biological and other.” I tell her.

 

I couldn’t sit there any longer, because I have a feeling she cares just enough to to call Gus her son, but not enough to let him know she’s still there for him. Emmett and Ted hurry behind me.

 

“WAIT, can I come and see Justin and hope Gus is willing to talk to me.” Mel asks me.

 

“Call Brian and ask, it’s his decision.” I tell her.

 

Ted and Emmett get in the car with me and I can tell they want to say something to me about my asshole performance.

 

“Just say it.” I tell them.

 

“She does see Gus, just not everyday.” Ted thinks that makes her a good mom.

 

“Until Justin moved, not a day went by that I didn’t see Aidan. If I was on the other side of the fucking globe I would have found a way, like, oh skype, to see Aidan. Excuses are given by weak people. Anything you would like to add Emmett?” I ask the man I can see sharing my life with, if he doesn’t excuse that shit.

 

“Sure, could you go all Mad Max later tonight, it was hot. I agree with you, she is one of Gus’s moms and owes Gus her loyalty. She isn’t heartless, just doesn’t always see outside of her pain, maybe you were able to get her head out of her ass.” Emmett is definitely in the running still.   

 

“Emmett, she was hurting.” Ted tells him.

 

“So if you had a kid with someone who hurt you, you’d visit the kid only once in awhile? Maybe I shouldn’t judge her because Brian isn’t, but Jay will. She isn’t going to have a easy time with him if she doesn’t start showing up and caring about Gus. She really wasn’t a font of knowledge was she? I expected a little more than maybe and possibly from someone who lived with Liddy.” I tell them.

 

“I thinks it’s time you get someone to follow the money. I’m with Emmett, jail isn’t like porno’s and I want to keep Blake.” Ted tells me.

 

“What do you think of her saying Michael would do something like that to Justin?” I ask them.

 

“I say we find out if Michael was in New York when Justin left, and then tell Deb to get them both as far away from Brian as possible, if Michael wants to live.” Ted tells us.

 

“Jay would find him, and don’t think he would be thanking you if he found out you helped the fucker who attacked him. You’re skating on thin ice with me for suggesting it.” I tell Ted.

 

“I wouldn’t save Michael, it’s Brian I care about. He isn’t some pussy who takes anything lightly. Murdering another person isn’t something Brian needs to be charged with.” Ted tells me.

 

“Like Jay couldn’t hide the body. Seriously Ted, with Jay you don’t need lawyers.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry but them dumping Michael in Babylon’s dumpster wasn’t exactly brilliant.” Ted tells me.

 

“Did Jay or anybody involved get caught?” I ask him winking to Emmett.

 

“No, but he knew Justin put him there and told the cops.” Ted tells me.

 

“Ted remember something and then forget I ever told you.” I tell him.

 

“Sure, give me your wisdom.” He tells me.

 

“Dead people don’t talk.” I tell him.

 

“Please tell me you're just fucking with us?” Ted asks me.

 

“Of course?” I just love the look on his face.

 

“Teddy, calm down he was joking.” Emmett glares at me as Ted starts to hyperventilate.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I were praying the kids stayed in bed longer this morning. We just finally fell asleep an hour ago and weren’t ready to be Daddy and Dad. It would have worked if Ted hadn’t come in freaking the hell out.

 

“BRIAN, GET THE FUCK OUT HERE.” Ted yells.

 

“Shut up shithead, the kids are sleeping.” Max needs to curb his language. Four and five are when kids soak up everything like a sponge.

 

I get up and slip on some sweatpants, Justin slides off me and puts a pillow over his head. I can’t say I walked out not wanting to kill the assholes for waking the kids.

 

“Can you tell me why you think yelling in my house at eight in the morning won’t make me kick your ass?” I ask Ted.

 

“Look, we talked to Mel yesterday and, shit don’t do anything okay?” Ted tells me.

 

“Max, you want to tell me what Ted doesn’t?” I ask him.

 

“We think Michael went to New York the same day Jay did.” He tells me.

 

“I’m going to beat the fucker until he admits he tried to kill Justin.” I tell him.

 

“No, you're going to let us get proof, then we are going to put the fucker in jail. Think of your family, not of getting in trouble for getting even with that piece of shit.” Max tells me.

 

“See, I told you Max was kidding about dead people not talking.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

“Not really, but I don’t want to let Michael off that easy, dead people aren’t punished, they’re just dead.” Max tells Emmett.

 

“I want proof, I want to know if Lindsay was involved.” I tell them.

 

“If Sam does what I want him to do, she’ll run back here. Get them all in one place and it’s easy to get proof.” Max tells me.

 

“Make it happen.” I tell them.

 

“Will do, but you better go stop Jay, because I could swear that was his blond head passing the window.” Max tells me.

 

I run to the front door and manage to stop Justin before he gets to the car. 

 

“If I can’t do anything, neither can you.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t let him get away with taking you from me.” Justin tells me.

 

“He didn’t, I’m here, but I can’t sit back and let you do to him what he did to you. Be better than him. Be you.” I tell him.

 

“Who is that? Because I don’t know.” Justin tells me.

 

“Justin Taylor, the one man who made me want to be a better person because he was worth it. Jay Thomas who survived and succeeded no matter what was thrown at you. The name isn’t important, it’s that you wouldn’t have let someone defeat you because nothing could change who you are.” I tell him.

 

“I think I want to be Justin, because you love him.” Justin tells me.

 

“No, I love you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian take him somewhere to calm down. We’ll take care of the kids.” Emmett tells me.

 

After I get dressed, I put Justin in the car and decide it’s time for him to see where we lived together for a short time.

 

“Where are we going?” Justin asks.

 

“To the past.” I tell him.

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I wasn’t sure that taking Justin to the loft was a great idea, but he was having some kind of meltdown, and it seemed like being alone would be better. I pulled up to the front and parked the car. Justin was staring out the windshield, he wouldn’t look at the building. 

 

“Give me a clue about what you're thinking?” I ask him.  

 

“I have to wonder if I don’t want to remember.” He tells me.

 

“If I could forget this place and some of the people I would.” I tell him.

 

“Max said that maybe the reason I don’t remember things is because I want the memories gone.” Justin tells me.

 

“No, you don’t remember because you don’t, it could also be that everything you’ve been around is new to you.” I answer him.

 

I get out of the car and wait for him to make up his mind if he wants to see the place. Justin gets out of the car and walks towards the building. I opened the front door and Justin walked in then just kept going, I followed behind him to see where he was headed. He stopped in front of the loft door.

 

“Is this it?” Justin asks me.

 

I nod, smiling because he doesn’t even realize he walked up here without me telling him which floor. I open the door and let him in to look around.

 

“I lived here with you at one time?” He asks me. 

 

“It was more like you stayed here for awhile, I didn’t really want a roommate at the time.” I tell him. 

 

Justin walks over to the kitchen and looks at everything.

 

“Nice kitchen.” He tells me. 

 

“You told me that the first time you were here.” I smile because he's still in there looking around.

 

“Do you still use this place?” He asks me. 

 

“Not often, just when I need some stress relief, because I don’t want to bring strangers around the kids.” I tell him. 

 

“This is where you bring tricks?” He asks me.  

 

“This is where I go when I need to be alone or if I trick.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm glad you didn't bring them to your house. It’s something that I made a rule about, no one meets Aidan. Of course, no one really knows about him.” He tells me. 

 

“Is there a reason you kept him a secret?” I ask him. 

 

“Close to fifty million reasons.” He tells me. 

 

“Could you explain that?” I ask him. 

 

“I think we need to talk about my financial situation. I made a lot of money painting but it was never enough in my head. I wanted to make enough that Aidan would never have to suffer. Max was talking about his stocks one night and I asked him why he chooses certain ones over others. He told me that his broker advises him. I don’t really like someone else playing with my money, so I learned about options. I seem to be good at it.” He tells me and wanders into the bedroom.

 

“Why did you keep Aidan a secret, not the money Justin?” I ask him.

 

“No one needed to know about Aidan. They’re a bunch of pretentious assholes and the last thing I wanted was for Aidan to have them knowing about him. Max and I also worried about someone trying to take Aidan for money.” Justin tells me.

 

I follow him into the bedroom and he was looking through the empty closet. I waited for him to find the bathroom because he seemed to know where he was going. He wrinkled his forehead when he looked in there and stared at the shower. I waited for him to figure out what he was thinking.

 

“Did we ever have sex in the shower?” He asks me.      

 

“Most mornings. “ I tell him. 

 

“Can we go sit down out there?” He asks me.

 

I walk to the living room and sit down and wait for him to come back. Justin went out the backside through the kitchen and walked by everything before coming to sit on the couch.

 

“Do you remember any of it?” I ask him.

 

“I hate saying this but it’s familiar. When I looked in the shower it’s like I caught a glimpse of us in there. Beyond that, it’s not really some place I remember.” He tells me.

 

“Don’t be disappointed in not remembering this, you weren’t here that long. I just think it’s time we show you things that were part of your life, because everything except the people are new. Your mom could see if she could show you your old home. We can go to the club we hung out at, it’s up to you.” I tell him.

 

“Not really into the whole club scene, so I’d really rather skip that.” He tells me.

 

“I own it, so we can go while it’s closed. I only go now because it’s a business.” I tell him.

 

“Not to pick up men?” He asks me.

 

“Sometimes, but mostly to put out fires.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t like sharing anything.” Justin tells me.

 

“What are you really asking me?” I ask him.

 

“I need to know what you expect from a relationship, because if you plan on keeping a fuck pad, we aren’t going to have one.” He tells me.

 

“I only kept this so if you returned you had a way to find me. I don’t really use it anymore, and if you're willing to give us a chance, I don’t need outside entertainment. I never planned on having a relationship with anyone unless you came home.” I tell him.

 

“I need to talk to you about earlier, but I don’t know why I was so confused.” He tells me.

 

“You just found out who hurt you, and your dealing with a lot right now. Most people don’t find out they have a child and family all in one day then have to deal with the fact that people you used to know have been fucking you over for five years.” I was trying to control my anger.

 

“Yet you're keeping it together.” He tells me.

 

“Only because our real friends are stopping me from killing the shitheads.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t even know what I was going to do. It’s not like I knew where they lived.” He tells me.

 

“And I’m not stupid enough to tell you.” I smirk, because he really thinks that I didn’t know he was trying to find out.

 

“Too bad, I was going to let you help me, but now I’ll just have to do it myself.” He smiles.

 

“How about if we just do what Mad Max suggests, let them hang themselves?” I ask him.

 

“Well, we have all this time and an empty place. Whatever will we do Mr Kinney?” He asks me.

 

Justin gets up and I watch as he leaves a trail of clothes as he walks to the bathroom. I wait till I hear the shower turn on and decide that it can’t hurt to re-jog that memory. Justin was already in the shower and smiling at me. I grabbed some condoms and joined him. I began washing him first because it’s what I did when we were together.

 

“I love the smell of that soap.” He tells me.

 

“You always did, I think you stole it when you left.” I tell him.

 

“As much as I like it, I really would rather smell you.” He tells me.

 

He takes the soap out of my hands and rinses off. Justin uses his hands like he’s trying to memorize my body by touch. 

 

“You’re a work of art. I want to draw you, but right now I want you to fuck me like you did in the glimpse I saw.” He tells me. 

 

“I won’t fuck you, but I will make love to you.” I tell him. 

 

I turned him around, kissing his shoulder and then kissed his lips when he turned his head. I put on a condom and slowly made us one again. I watched his face as he enjoyed the feeling of my entry. Then I began the rhythm we perfected from the moment we met each other. 

 

LINDSAY 

 

I was hoping that I Michael and Deb were still scared enough to keep paying for my silence. So far the money hadn’t made it to my account. I really needed it because I spent all the money he sent me last week. Unfortunately it looks like Deb is trying to test how far I’m willing to go. Which meant that I would have to call my mother for money until they came through. I needed coffee to deal with her. Going to the cafe I like, I ordered a regular and prepared myself to make the call.

 

“Looks like you could use something stronger.” Someone said to me.

 

I look up to see Sam Auerbach standing in front of me. At first I wasn’t sure he was talking to me, normally he’s interested in younger girls. 

 

“I could, but I figured coffee would start the day, then who knows.” I flirt with him.

 

“It’s the ‘who knows’ that I like.” He was flirting back.

 

“That would take a little more time than a cup of coffee.” I tell him.

 

“Well how about dinner? And then I could show you my etchings.” He tells me.

 

I smile because here’s my ‘in’ to the doors that are closing because of that asshole Max. I agree to meet him for dinner and plan to make him want to show me off. Fuck Michael and Deb. I’m on to better things, Sam can show me the world.

 

MAX

 

I was sitting with Emmett and the kids were watching TV when I got the text.

 

“Sam made contact, and has already gotten Liddy to agree to dinner.” I tell Emmett.

 

“She doesn’t wait around does she?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Nope, Liddy liked to flit from one person to the next, didn’t care about who she hurt.” I tell him.

 

“Same for when she was here. People don’t change much.” He tells me.

 

“What about Jay, has he changed much from when you knew him?” I ask him.

 

“Other than the not knowing us, he’s still Justin. Why?” He asks me.

 

“Because I don’t know the person that was in the driveway. Jay would never have let us see that he was hurting. I was worried he was using that to fool us long enough to get his way.” I tell him.

 

“Justin wore his heart on his sleeve. To me he was who I knew, Justin wasn’t weak but he didn’t hide his feelings.” He tells me.

 

“It’s just if Jay wanted to do something, he would do it, no one could stop him.” I tell him.

 

“Brian could stop Justin, at least he used to be able to.” I tell him.

 

“We are dealing with both people in one body, but who were we dealing with in the driveway? He already knows who he’s dealing with, so he also knows how to use the chess pieces on the table.” I tell him.

 

“He was in pain out there, I don’t think he was trying to think of a way to use us, but Max, if he is, he’s practically next door to Deb at the diner.” Emmett warns me.

 

“Get someone over here to watch the kids, because all it will take is Brian falling asleep and Jay is going to find her, if not her son.” I tell Emmett.

 

Emmett called Jen and told her we needed her to come over. We waited until she got there to hurry to the car.

 

JUSTIN/JAY

 

I really hate weak people, but what can you do when you want to see the fuckheads that screwed your life up? I want Brian to be able to have some peace, and these asshole won’t leave us alone. Don’t get me wrong, I do want to be Justin, but Jay has some work to do first.

 

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

I called Daphne and asked her meet me at the bagel shop. I needed a car and someone who knows Pittsburgh better than I do. Brian was still sleeping, so I booked my ass out of there before he figured out I was gone. I also thought that by now Max would be checking up on me. I got to the bagel shop and went in to buy some bagels and bread, I figured by the time I got back they would all be trying to figure out what I was up to. Daphne drove up just as I finished getting some baked goods, I wanted to at least be honest when I lied about where I went.

 

“What did you need?” She asked as I got in the car.

 

“I need you to drive to Deb’s house.” I tell her.

 

“Why are we going there?” she asks me.

 

“I want to talk to her.” I tell her.

 

She didn’t ask any more questions, just drove us to the house, one that I think would look great after being demolished. 

 

“That's the house, but are you sure you want to talk to her?” She asks me. 

 

“I just need some answers.” I tell her. 

 

“Promise me that you aren’t going to get arrested.” She tells me.

 

“I can’t promise, but I wasn’t planning on it.” I tell her.

 

“Just make sure someone will bail us out.” She tells me.

 

She parked across the street and we got out and walked to the front door. I rang the bell and waited to meet either of the people who wanted me gone. Deb opened the door.

 

“Oh my god, Sunshine, where did you come from?” She asks and I can see she’s not as happy to see me as she is pretending to be.

 

“Hi, I came to see you, aren’t you glad?” I tell her.

 

“It’s so sweet of you to think of me. I was so glad when I heard you came home. Come in and we can talk.” She tells me.

 

Daphne and I follow her into the house and she tells us to take a seat on the couch. She tells us to give her a minute and goes upstairs. 

 

“What are we doing here?” Daphne whispers to me.

 

“I need some answers.” I whisper back.

 

“So Sunshine, it's wonderful to see you again.” Deb tells me as she sits on the chair next to us.

 

“Is it really?” I ask her. 

 

“Sweetheart, I was worried about you, you were like one of my sons. So knowing that you’re home is a weight off my mind.” She tells me.

 

“It’s just that I have been trying to get to know my child and for some reason you are giving Brian a hard time. Which has caused a lot of stress for my daughter. I came to talk to you about it because I think it’s time for the shit to stop.” I tell her.

 

“I refuse to stop until Michael and I get treated fairly. All I wanted was for us to be a family, and to help in raising my granddaughter.” She tells me.  

 

“You think that Michael deserves to be treated fairly?” I ask her.

 

“Michael is her father, it isn’t right that Brian is keeping Jewel away from her flesh and blood. She’s not Brian’s child and she should be raised by her real family.” She tells me.

 

“Family should take care of each other, you're absolutely right.” I tell her.

 

“See I knew you would understand, but Sweetheart you need to get away from Brian. If it wasn’t for him kicking you out, we wouldn’t have lost you.” She tells me.

 

“I think you and I have different ideas of what happened that day.” I tell her.

 

“Don’t let Brian twist the facts.” She warns me.

 

“Let me see if I’ve got the facts right. Your son and Lindsay came to the loft and took something that didn’t belong to them, then left the door open. That’s a fact. Your son stood in front of me while I was being accused of leaving the door unlocked, and let me take the blame. That’s another fact. Now the most interesting fact that I found out was that your son followed me to New York and was there the day I was injured, don’t you think that was interesting? I certainly do.” I ask her.

 

“Who told you that? If it was Lindsay, don’t listen to her, she is trying to cause trouble.” Deb tells me. 

 

“What if I told you it was the detective Brian hired who told us, is he causing trouble too?” I ask her.

 

“The detective is a liar. Lindsay’s been fucking him to keep him silent about you.” Michael yells at us from the top of the stairs. 

 

“Michael, I told you to stay out of this.” Deb tells him.  

 

“Yes Michael, be a good boy and stay out of this.” I tell him.

 

“Fuck you Justin, if it wasn’t for you I would have had it all.” He yells at me.

 

“Really, because from what I see, you need mommy to wipe your ass for you. I’m surprised you made it all the way to New York without her holding your hand. Get a good lawyer because when mine gets through with you, your mommy can visit you at the prison if she gets time off for good behavior.” I tell them.

 

“Let’s get the fuck out of here.” Daphne tells me.

 

“I got what I needed anyway.” I tell her.

 

Daphne and I start walking to the front door. Deb grabs my arm and turns me around when I am almost out the door.

 

“What do you mean you got what you needed?” She asks me.

 

“I wanted to know why a detective couldn’t find a clue. Thanks for telling me, and before I go, if you cause Brian one more sleepless night because you want to play games, then be prepared for the games I can play. The dumpster was just for shits and giggles.” I tell them, with a smile.

 

We left Deb standing there and got in the car.

 

“We need to get back to the loft.” I tell her. 

 

“What were you trying to find out?” She asks me. 

 

“Who all the players are, because I knew we were missing something.” I tell her.  

 

BRIAN 

 

I let Justin go in that house because he needed to do it. He would have done it no matter what we did to stop him. I don’t like it, but I understand it. As soon as they were out the door, I pulled out and headed back to the loft. I want to know if he trusts me enough to tell me the truth about where he went, because if he can't, then we will never make it.

 

Max was waiting when I got to the loft.

 

“He took off didn’t he?” He asks me. 

 

“He needed to do it.” I tell him. 

 

“He better be willing to explain what he was thinking.” He tells me. 

 

“I hope he will, but not to you.” I tell him. 

 

“Excuse me, what do you mean ‘not to me’?” He asks me. 

 

We stop talking when we see Justin pull up with Daphne and get out of the car. He tells her something and she pulls away. He stands and watches me and Max. It’s time for Justin to decide where he wants to be.

 

“If I have any hope that Justin and I are going to work, we need everyone to let us do it. It means not having everyone hovering over him like he's a child. Including you.” I tell Max but look at Justin. 

 

“Jay and I look out for each other, I don’t care what you think, I will always look out for him.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not saying you can’t, but you need to let him find his way Max. Jay and Justin are fighting to figure out who he is. Can you understand what having to stay in both worlds is doing to him? He wants to keep you in his life but wants a life with me. He and I can’t work on anything as long as you’re stepping in and not allowing me to be there for him.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not going to give up on him.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not asking you to do that. I’m asking you to respect my place in his life. As his partner and maybe someday his husband. I need to be the person he runs to when he needs help. He can’t do that with you riding shotgun in our relationship. You can be there, but know when it’s time to back off and let me do the work.” I tell him. 

 

“Max, listen to Brian.” Justin tells him.

 

“Will you?” Max asks Justin.

 

“He doesn’t need me to tell him what to do. He just needs to know he can talk to me. It’s where we went wrong, we didn’t talk. I made it impossible for him.” I tell Max.

 

“Max, we’ll come to the house but Brian and I need to make some decisions.” Justin tells Max.

 

Max at first looks like he wants to stay, but in the end he smiles and walks back to a waiting Emmett in the car.

 

Justin and I walk up to the loft and he puts a bag on the counter and sits on the stool.

 

“I went to see Deb.” He tells me.

 

“Was it all you hoped it would be?” I ask him.

 

“I found out why your detective didn’t seem to find anything, Liddy was fucking him.” He tells me.

 

“I needed to fire him anyway.” I tell him.

 

“That’s all you're going to say?” He asks me.

 

“That’s all I’m going to do, my lawyer will deal with it. I want you and I to go get our children and start trying to be a family. Let the others do the work and we can watch the fireworks.” I tell him.

 

“I’m good with that, but before we go be adults, can we do one last childish thing?” He asks me.

 

I raise my eyebrow and wait for him to tell me.

 

“I need to use your computer, I have a note to send.” He tells me.

 

Justin typed up a note and pulled out a big manila envelope from the bag. I watch as he pulls out a comic book and tears it into four big pieces and crumbles them into the bag, giggling while he did it. Then put the note in with it.

 

“Do you have someone who can deliver this to Michael?” Justin tells me.

 

“Can you tell me how you got his First Edition Captain Astro comic?” I ask him.

 

“He left it on the coffee table, I swiped it on the way out.” He tells me, grinning like a fool.

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

MAX 

 

After leaving the loft I started to wonder if this was what Michael did to Brian. Did he cling too much? I don’t want Jay to think that he owes me anything, but I know it’s just been us for so long that I do tend to take over his life. I always call people placeholders in my life, and they are, unless they impress Jay and Aidan. I think that’s why people tend to make more out of our relationship; because Jay is the person I compare people to. I want children, but I want someone who loves my kids the way Jay loves Aidan, and now Jewel and Gus. I stopped in Brian’s drive way and sat in the car with Emmett, wondering if I was too involved in Jay’s life. Brian was right, I’ve been jumping in when I should have let them figure things out for themselves and let me know what they needed from me.

 

“Max, I'm going to ask you something, because I need to know.” Emmett asks me. 

 

“Go ahead.” I tell him. 

 

“Are you in love with Justin or Jay?” He asks me. 

 

“Yes, but not the way you think.” I tell him. 

 

“There are only so many ways to love someone. I ask because I don't want to date someone who is in love with someone else.”  He tells me. 

 

“I don’t love him as a lover, we just never went there. He and I became friends when he was pregnant and we were only able to be friends. Aidan and Jay became my family. I’ve never had to think about someone else being in his life, so I just did what we always did and started working on the solution to anything that came up. It’s how he and I have always done things. I know Brian is right, I need to let him help Jay, and only help when they ask. So when I said ‘Yes’ to loving him, I meant that he is the brother of my heart.” I tell him.

 

“That’s the difference between you and Michael. Michael didn’t and doesn’t want Brian to be happy with anyone but him. Anytime Brian started treating Justin like he cared, Michael showed up and used Brian’s insecurities against him. It was always about keeping Brian in the box Michael wanted to open on Christmas morning. You didn’t try to make Justin choose between you and Brian, Michael would have.” He tells me.

 

“Michael wants what he can’t have, but Brian should have cut that shit off the minute he knew there was the possibility of more with Justin.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Brian wasn’t ready for Justin back then and it was easier to let Michael stay around because he wasn’t going to give Michael anything. Justin wasn’t going to stay around waiting, Brian would have had to make a commitment to Justin. Brian did what anyone who saw a future he wasn’t ready for does, he ran.” Emmett tells me.

 

 

“All I want for Jay and Aidan is to be with someone who loves them. I don’t play games with the people I love. I hope one day to tell you, you're one of them.” I tell him.

 

“When your ready, let me know.” Emmett tells me.

 

BRIAN 

 

We left the loft and I knew that before we got home, we needed to figure out where we were going to live with the kids. I think that we are going to confuse them running between two houses. I like the idea of Justin’s house, fewer unwanted visitors. Deb can send the police to my house all she wants, and I don’t have to worry about the kids being disturbed by it. I need to make sure Justin is ready for that kind of move though, not force it on him.

 

“What do you think of consolidating homes?” I ask him.

 

“I like the idea of not having to live away from any of my children.” He tells me. It makes me feel good that from the beginning he has included Gus as being one of his children.

 

“Which house, or do we look for another place?” I ask him.

 

“We could move to my place, if we need more room, then we look for another house. I’m not attached to the house, I just like the neighborhood. I just know that Aidan likes his things around him and right now he is being taken out of his comfort zone. If we start taking Gus and Jewel back and forth they are going to start to question where home is.” He tells me.

 

“That’s why I wanted to talk about this. I planned on moving soon anyway, we need a larger house.” I tell him.

 

“I bought my house with the idea that I would have more kids someday.” He tells me.

 

“Do you want more?” I never really thought about more kids.

 

“I always wanted more children. I planned to adopt if I didn’t find someone I wanted to have kids with eventually. I loved carrying Aidan, so I wanted to do it at least one more time.” Justin tells me.

 

“I haven’t really thought about more kids. I was raising two babies at the same time. Your mother was a Godsend because I knew nothing about raising kids. It’s something to think about, maybe when the kids are older.” I tell him.

 

“We move the three of you into my house, and if we think we need more room, we look. How does that sound?” He asks me.

 

“It works for me. We could just pack the things the kids need now and I can get Cynthia to get movers to get the rest.” I tell him.

 

“Can we drive by your club?” He asks me.

 

“Do you want to see it?” I ask him.

 

“I just want to get familiar with the area. If you have to go to the club, I want to be able to find it if you need me.” He tells me.

 

I turn the car towards Babylon and think of something he could see that was the beginning of our past. I pull up to the front of Babylon and park. I get out of the car and tell Justin we need to go somewhere.

 

“Brian, where are you going?” He ask me.

 

“Get out and follow me, I want you to see where we met and where we danced. You can’t remember things if you haven’t seen them again. Justin, understand that I don’t care if you remember or not, I just want you to have the chance if you want it.” I tell him.

 

I take him to the place I first saw him. Everytime I look in this direction, I always see him walking down the street and standing here. He looked so angelic that night. 

 

“I was coming out of the club, Michael, Emmett, and Ted were with me. I looked here and you were walking towards me and stopped here. I’d been having a shitty night and was about to go home. The minute I saw you I forgot my friends and headed straight to you. One thing that impressed me was that you looked me in the eye and talked to me. Most tricks don’t do that.” I put him under the street light.

 

“Why did I stop here?” He asks me. Looking up at the light. 

 

“You’d been wandering around looking for action. I think you were on the verge of giving up when I saw you.” I tell him.

 

“That was stupid, what was I thinking, anybody could have picked me up. I swear if our kids do anything like this we are going to tie them to chairs. You know what, continue, I’ll go parental if our kids do something like this. ” He tells me.

 

“You got lucky, I found you, and wanted to make sure you were safe. You gave me this bullshit about checking out the bars, come to think of it you were a little underdressed for Meat Hook, but I liked what I saw so I keep talking to you. You agreed to come with me and that was the start of us.” I tell him.

 

Justin looked at the street and the club and then the car. “Did you drive a black Jeep?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, I got rid of it when Jewel was born.” I tell him.

 

“Can we go in the club?” He asks me

 

“It’s the best time, because no one is there, I’ve made some changes to the place from when you would have been there, so don’t worry if you don’t remember it.” I tell him.

 

Justin and I walk into the empty club and let him look around on his own. I stood in the middle of the dance floor and watched as he walked up the catwalk and around the entire top floor. He stopped at the stairs across from me and looked as if he was replaying something in his head. 

 

“Did Daphne ever come here? I swear I see her standing with me here and talking about you.” He asked me.

 

“Once that I remember. You had sold a sketch at the GLC and you two came here to celebrate. I was hanging out with Emmett and Michael who were busy whining about their lives. Emmett had picked up a hustler who didn’t speak English and Michael told Emmett the hustler was saying he loved Emmett when he was really asking for money.” I tell him.

 

“Of you, it was a sketch of you.” He said excitedly.

 

“Yes, are you remembering something?” I ask him.

 

“I just know that I sketched you. I remember wishing I knew who bought it.” He tells me.

 

“I did, you drew me in a way that I never saw myself. I still have it, I’ll show it to you some time.” I tell him.

 

“What happened next?” He ask me.

 

“You came here with Daphne. I was ignoring you and running around looking for a trick. I picked him and another guy to dance with and you came down to the dance floor.” I tell him.

 

“We weren’t together that night?” He asks me.

 

“No, I was thinking three-some and you were thinking I had too many people that weren’t you around me. You helped me change my mind.” I tell him.

 

“How did I do that?” He asks me.

 

“You came down to the floor and danced next to us. The guys who were dancing with me liked what they saw and started dancing with you.” I tell him.

 

“I keep seeing us together, not me and other men.” He tells me.

 

“I pushed them out of the way and made sure it was just us. You were letting me know that you didn’t have to wait around for me to make up my mind.” I tell him.

 

I walked up the stairs and turned on the music, and watch as Justin starts to dance. He was always good at it. He smiles as I pull him into my arms and dance us slowly around the floor. I was never the dancer he is, but I didn’t need to be, I just needed to hold him close and the moves didn’t matter to me.

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

LINDSAY 

 

Sam was really making sure to show me off, it was all I ever wanted. We went out to all the hot spots and I was introduced to the who's who of the art world. I loved rubbing it in all their faces that I was on Sam's arm. Even Max wouldn’t be able to snub me now. I couldn’t wait for the show at his gallery. Max thinks that he can shut doors in my face, with Sam at my side all those doors would open right back up. 

 

 

 

JUSTIN 

 

I woke up to Aidan talking to Brian. Every morning since Brian moved in, Aidan came in to wake him up. Brian seemed to enjoy that Aidan worshiped him. Jewel wasn't a morning person, so like me, we just snuggled down in bed together. My real worry was Gus, he seemed to be distancing himself from me. At first he was on board the family train, but it's like he isn’t sure of his place in this family’s life. I decided today he and I were going to spend one on one time together. Brian hoped Gus was just feeling displaced with the move.

 

I left Jewel asleep and went to find Gus. He was sitting on his bed hugging a teddy bear.

 

“Good morning, I thought you might want to do something with me today?” I ask him. 

 

“If you want me to.” He says. 

 

“Your Dad is going to watch Jewel and Aidan, so we can go somewhere, just the two of us, but only if you want to spend time with me.” I tell him. 

 

Gus nods and lets go of his bear. I tell him to get dressed for the park. I wanted somewhere he could talk if he needed to. I needed to find out why Gus went from happy kid to wary kid. 

 

Gus was ready and waiting by the door when I came down the stairs. 

 

“Do you want to walk to the park?” I ask him. 

 

“Can we drive, in case we need to go somewhere?” He asks me.

 

I wasn’t sure what he meant by that so I grab my keys and lead Gus to the car. After he settled in, I pulled out and drove to the park. Once we got there I let him decide where we were going. Gus wanted to sit on the bench by the swings. I hoped it was because he wanted to talk about what was bothering him.

 

“Can you tell me what's going on in your head?” I ask him. 

 

“Why do we stay at your house?” He asks me. 

 

“You remember your Dad telling you that we wanted to live together?” I ask him. 

 

“I thought it was going to be at our house.” He tells me. 

 

“My house is bigger, and we wanted to be somewhere where the people who cause problems couldn’t find us as easily.” I tell him. 

 

“Like Deb?” He asks me. 

 

“Just like Deb. I didn’t want her coming over and upsetting you and Jewel.” I tell him. 

 

“What about other people?” He asks me. 

 

“They all know where we live.” I tell him. 

 

“What if they don't and aren't coming over because they can't find us?” He asks me. 

 

“As far as I know everyone knows where we live. Is there someone we missed?” I ask him. 

 

“I guess not. Maybe she's like the others.” He mumbled looking down at his feet. 

 

“Gus, who do you mean?” I ask.

 

“Mama. She hasn't come to see me in a long time.” He tells me. 

 

“Mel?” I ask him. He nods and continues to look at his feet.

 

“It’s not important.” He tells me. 

 

Apparently it is to him. I needed to know why he's been distant with me first, then I'll handle Mama.

 

“Yes it is and we’ll work on that, but I need to know something. Have I done something wrong?” I ask him. 

 

“No, it’s just… well, I'm not…” He sniffles.

 

“You're not what?” I ask him. 

 

“Your kid.” He tells me. 

 

“You’re my kid to me.” I tell him. 

 

“It's not the same as Jewel and Aidan being yours.” He tells me. 

 

“Why is it different to you? You know that Jewel isn't your father's biological daughter, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t love her the same way he would if she was.” I tell him. 

 

“Dad adopted her, so she's his.” He tells me. 

 

“Even if he hadn't, it wouldn’t change, he loves her and feels the same for her as you.” I tell him.  

 

“Do you feel that way about me?” He ask me.

 

“Yes, you're Aidan and Jewel’s brother, and that makes you special to me and I want to be your other dad. Even if there wasn’t an Aidan and Jewel, I’d still be glad you were living in OUR home.” I tell him.

 

Gus looks up at me and then climbs on my lap. I feel tears on my neck where he is hiding his face. I hold him tight and hope that he can feel that I do care. He doesn’t lift his head when he starts talking. 

 

“I just was afraid that you would only want your kids. Some parents are like that.” He says into my neck.

 

“Your Dad and I love you all, and you’re just going to have to get used to me loving you.” I tell him.

 

“Okay Daddy.” He tells me.

 

I take my son home and tell Brian I need to go do something, he looks at Gus and nods. It’s time for Mama to explain why she’s been MIA. Max told me that she said she wanted to see Gus, but so far in the last two weeks, we haven’t heard from her. Brian told me that he wasn’t going to force Gus on her, because if she wants to be a part of his life she needs to earn it, by showing up. It’s the one thing that we disagreed on, because it’s obviously hurting Gus. 

 

I drive to the address that Emmett gave me over the phone and go to the front door. She has a decision to make today, because if she wants to play games with Gus’s feelings she’s history. The door opens and she looks dressed to go to work.

 

“Justin, I…” I hold up my hand to interrupt her.

 

“Do you have a minute to talk?” I ask her.

 

“Of course, come in. It’s so good to see you. I keep meaning to come to see you.” She tells me.

 

“We only live ten minutes away, so maybe you could have taken some time out of your schedule to see me or Gus.” I try not to get angry with her.

 

“I know and I’ll try to get over there soon.” She tells me.

 

“Gus seems to think you're like the other parents, which is how he refers to Lindsay and Michael. I don’t know about you, but being put in that circle would make me want to kill myself, but if you're fine with that, then I won’t waste my time with you.” I tell her.

 

“What do you want me to say? The truth is I still have a hard time with all the shit Lindsay did and Gus reminds me of that life. I don’t want him to feel like it has anything to do with him.” She tells me.

 

“I want you to say that Gus is still your son. A son that you sat in that chair and told Brian you wanted to be the mom of. I sat next to Brian and listened to you go on and on about how he needed to sign over his rights to you, so you could officially be Gus’s mom. Why is it that you aren’t being the mother you sat here and told us you wanted to be?” I ask her.

 

“He never signed the paperwork in the end.” She tells me.

 

“But he has never stopped you from seeing Gus, has he? So how is that relevant to you being in Gus’s life?” I ask her.

 

“What do you want me to say, Justin?” She ask me.

 

“I don’t want you to say anything, just do something to show him you care. I want you to either be a part of Gus’s life or get the fuck out of his life. If you are part of it; you visit and call as much as possible. If you want the fuck out then you explain to that little confused kid that you're too worried about your own feelings to be the mother you swore you wanted to be. He doesn’t understand why you seem to be less and less involved with him, so I want you to either tell him he’s right, that you are like Lindsay and don’t care, or show up and prove to him that you want to be there for him. Just don’t show up when you can put your feelings aside and think that Gus is going to want to play your son. I won’t have Gus upset anymore.” I tell her.

 

“Brian doesn’t seem to mind that I’m not visiting.” She wants to blame Brian now.

 

“Brian doesn’t want you there as if it’s an obligation, he knows what that’s like. Only he got abused by his parents. I guess you can settle on neglect, it doesn’t leave marks on the outside.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, don’t judge me, you weren’t here for the aftermath of Michael and Lindsay. I was and I cleaned up the mess they made. It’s taken a lot of therapy for me to deal with what they did.” She tells me.

 

“Yes, they did make a mess. Gus didn’t do a damned thing, he was a baby. Why are you taking it out on him?” I ask her.

 

Mel sits there looking down at the floor. She starts trying to wipe the tears from her eyes. I waited for her next excuse, because she only seems to have excuses. When she stays silent, I tell her some of my truths.

 

“Jewel is the product of a whiny petulant little man, but that doesn’t make me want her any less. I don’t see anyone but Jewel. Brian doesn’t care that not one drop of blood in her body is his, he loves her for her. This is the child that caused all the grief, yet he loves her and doesn’t see Michael when he looks at her, he sees his daughter. Yet Gus, who you once wanted to mother, is too much of a reminder for you. Grow some fucking balls and see your kid or get off your ass and tell him you don’t want him.” I tell her.

 

“I do want him.” She tells me.

 

“Then you come by tonight and see him and you start coming by every night even if it’s just to read him a story, give him a hug, or watch fucking TV with him for fifteen minutes. Give him a reason to believe you care. If you skip out on him, he’s not going to know you were coming, so if you don’t show he won’t be hurt. Tonight is decision time, are you going to show Gus you love him or you join your ex as a memory of someone he thought loved him.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t remember you being this ruthless.” She tells me.

 

“I don’t remember you being this weak.” I tell her.

 

I didn’t wait for her to say she was coming because it was up to her. Brian and I would just love Gus enough to hopefully make up for what is lacking from his other parents. If Gus needed me to adopt him than I would. I started my car to leave but wanted to see if I was really remembering my life. I drove straight to the house I lived in as a child and it’s just what I remembered. I turned and started back to my new home and a life that I finally am starting to remember.  


Chapter 20 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I let the kids play in the backyard while Justin was out. Gus seemed to be in a better mood after talking to Justin. I wanted to know what was bothering Gus, but I also wanted to let him tell me. Gus came and sat on my lap while Jewel and Aidan played in the sandbox.

 

“I like it here.” He tells me. 

 

“I’m happy to hear you say that, you seemed like you didn’t. Can you tell me why?” I ask him hoping he would talk to me.

 

“Mama.” He says.

 

“What about her?” I ask him. 

 

“She hasn’t come to see me. I thought she might not know where we were.” He tells me. 

 

“Did talking to Justin help?” I ask him.

 

“Yeah, Daddy told me that he was going to take care of it.” Gus tells me. 

 

“Did you and he decide he was Daddy?” I ask him.

 

“I told him that I wasn’t his kid and he told he thought of me as his.” He tells me.

 

“Gus, you know that we love you as much as we love Jewel and Aidan don’t you?” I ask him.

 

“I know you love me. I just didn’t know if Justin wanted me to be his too.” He tells me.

 

“Are you sure now?” I ask him.

 

“Yep, because he told me that I was special to him.” He tells me.

 

“It’s how we both feel about you, sonny boy.” I tell him. 

 

“Maybe Mama will feel that way soon.” He tells me.

 

Gus hops up and runs to play with his brother and sister, and I’m left to wonder if Justin was going to talk to Mel. I’ve left Mel alone so far because I didn’t want her to come see Gus if she couldn’t put aside her feelings and be his mother. She had to be the one to who wanted to be here, because kids know when you don’t want them around, but she needs to make a decision because Gus doesn’t need to be left waiting around. Max warned me Justin wouldn’t be a happy camper if the Mel situation didn’t improve for Gus. I’m sure Gus telling Justin he was worried that Mel wasn’t around would have him confronting Mel. If listening to Justin doesn’t work then she can listen to my lawyer revoking all visitation.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was standing in the kitchen watching Brian and the kids. It’s like my mind is rebooting and every moment of my time with Brian starts flooding through me. At first I had to wonder why I would be with someone who didn’t want my love. It took remembering what Max told me; that I was dealing with someone who dealt with being in an abusive home. I know he cared about me, even then, because he could have walked away when I left and gone on with his life but he didn’t. Instead he searched for me, and took my daughter as his own. In my mind those two things make up for any indecision on his part about my place in his life five years ago. 

 

“You’re back, did you get what you needed to do, done?” Brian asks me from the back door.

 

“We'll see tonight if it did any good.” I tell him. 

 

“You went to see Mel?” He asks me. 

 

“She needs to either be his mother or walk away. I told her it was up to her, but if she wants to be part of Gus’s life, tonight determines it.” I tell him. 

 

“I guess we'll see if she cares as much as she tells everyone.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t get how she went from fighting with you for rights to him to barely seeing him. I watched you fighting yourself to give him up, then it's like the minute you said yes, she lets other shit give her free pass to play mommy only when it was convenient. When did she become so weak?” I ask him. 

 

“She always was, just hid it well. Lindsay was the person who made all the decisions, Mel just went along with them.” I tell him. 

 

“I used to see her as a tough as nails person. She always seemed like the one in charge in the house.” I tell him. 

 

“How in charge could she be? She let Lindsay pick me to be Gus’s father when she would rather have pretended I wasn't part of Lindsay life.” He tells me. 

 

“It does change the dynamics of that relationship when you look at from that perspective. I know I never would have agreed to Michael donating to us to have a child, it would have been a relationship ender if you had asked me to allow that.” I tell him.

 

“It's why they were having problems in the first place. Lindsay always made sure Mel had to prove she loved her, by being jealous of me.” He tells me. 

 

“You really managed to pick some screwed up people to be friends with. Michael, who plays ‘best friend’ but wants you to be more and spends all his time warning me off. And Lindsay, who chooses the one person guaranteed to piss off her partner to have a kid with. Then spends all her time acting like she’s trying to get us together. I guess I can’t say a lot because I really thought Lindsay liked me.” I tell him.

 

“She probably did when you were serving whatever purpose she wanted you for. Just like I was a way to pay for the things they couldn’t afford.” He tells me.

 

“I just wish that I had seen what they were like back then.” I tell him.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin starts pulling things out of the refrigerator to make lunch. I had to sit down because it just occured to me that he was talking like he knew everyone. How much does he remember? Before I could even ask the question he started talking.

 

“It started when I sat on the same couch you and I sat on when they wanted you to give up Gus. I was angry at Mel for neglecting Gus, and it was like how angry I was at all of you sitting there discussing Gus like any parent could be taken out of his life, and it wouldn’t matter to him. When I left there, I remembered my childhood home and the rest started playing back like a film.” He tells me.

 

“How much do you remember?” I ask him.

 

“Everything. I even drove to the house I lived in with my parents.” He tells me.

 

“Do you want to ask me anything about us?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t need to ask about a relationship that is no longer relevant to what we are doing now. As long as you promise that we aren’t going to be reliving that, I say we start from where we are now. We aren’t those people anymore, so let’s be who we want to be.” He tells me.

 

“I want to be Brian and Justin with our three kids.” I tell him.

 

“Good thing we already are Brian and Justin with our three kids.” He tells me, smiling.

 

I got up and walked over and held Justin, not Jay for the first time. 

 

MAX

 

I had to go back to New York because my assistant was overwhelmed with all the plans for the show. Apparently Liddy showed up and was telling her that she was in charge of Sam’s show. She was causing my assistant to pull her hair out. Emmett and I agreed that he should stay in Pittsburgh, until the opening. I wanted Liddy to regret showing her face in my gallery. 

 

“Max, I’m going to quit if she shows up and starts up again.” My assistant, Elaine tells me.

 

“I’ll deal with Liddy, just take care of what you need to.” I tell her.

 

“Promise if you kick her ass, I get to watch.” She tells me.

 

“Where is she?” I ask Elaine.

 

“In your office writing out instructions as to where Sam’s paintings are going to be hung.” She tells me rolling her eyes.

 

The bitch is seriously going to burn for this, no one uses my office. I walk to the office and see Liddy trying to get in my locked drawers. 

 

“Can I ask why you are in my office?” I ask her.

 

“I’m just making sure that Sam’s show is a success. I won’t have you giving Jay premium space and acting as though Sam isn’t the real reason people want to be at the show.” She tells me.

 

“That requires you to be in my private office?” I ask her.

 

“If you don’t want Sam to cancel, I suggest you stop worrying about where I am.” She tells me.

 

“I suggest you get out of my office, and if Sam has a problem with anything then Sam’s actual agent can tell me.” I tell her.

 

“I’m done anyway, by the way, how is Jay doing?” She asks me as she get’s her purse.

 

“He’s been fine, getting to know his family. He’s thinking about moving back here, said that people expected too much from him.” I tell her.

 

“It must be hard to not remember anything.” She tells me.

 

“How do you know he doesn’t remember anything?” I ask her.

 

“I meant that you tend to forget what your life was like when you move away.” She tells me.

 

Liddy hurries out of my office and I check to see if anything in my private files has been touched. It looked like she hadn’t gotten into the locked drawers. I looked at the paper on my desk, or should I say Liddy’s list of instructions. I noticed that she wanted her family invited to the show and I decided to make sure they are invited. I look at the number she left for her family to be contacted with and decide to make that wish come true for her. Elaine came in my office and was going to say something but I held my finger up so she knew I was on a call.

 

“Hello, I’m Max Forester with Forester Gallery. I was calling to personally invite you to a show at my gallery. Your daughter Lindsay put your names on the invitation list, she is a personal guest of one of the artists, Sam Auerbach… Yes I believe they are seeing each other.... I’m glad you want to help support your daughter’s partner… Let me get my assistant to give you the details.” I transfer Lindsay’s mother to Elaine’s line.

 

“Offer her accommodations at any hotel she wants, I want her to be here.” I tell Elaine.

 

“I can’t believe we are playing nice with Liddy.” She tells me.

 

“Playing Elaine, playing.” I tell her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Life got in the way but I'm off all weekend so hopefully lots of time to finish chapters. 

Chapter 21 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I answered my front door and didn’t say a word, just let Mel come into the house. Brian and I agreed that so long as she showed up every night and Gus was happy to see her, she was welcome. In the last three weeks she showed up religiously and spent a few hours with Gus. I honestly didn’t have time to worry about her. I had to finish my last piece for the show and look through my other work to see if I had something that related to my other pieces. I closed the door and started back to my studio.

 

“Justin, do you think it would be okay if Gus spent time with me at my house? I’d like to be able to spend more time with him. He needs to know that he doesn’t have to compete for attention.” Mel tells me.

 

“You need to talk to Brian. I have a show this weekend and my mom is taking the kids, but if Gus wants to go with you, I’m sure Brian will be fine with it. For future reference, none of the kids have to compete for attention.” I tell her.

 

“I wasn’t accusing you of neglecting Gus, it’s just that with the other children, you have to spread yourselves out to give them time. I can devote my time to Gus. You and Brian probably don’t realize that he needs more than the other two kids. If he’s with me, I can spend one on one time with him. I wouldn’t want you to have to take time out of your revenge.” She tells me.

 

“Why do you care, I thought she ruined your life?” I ask her.

 

“I’m just trying to make sure you're doing the right thing for Gus and for you.” She tells me.

 

“Go be Gus’s mom, I have one.” I tell her.

 

“We were friends at one time. Why can’t you put aside your anger and remember that. I was there for you when you needed a place to stay.” She tells me.

 

“What are you asking me to do? Let Lindsay continue to fuck with my career and my life?” I ask her. She needs to stop trying to play with me.

 

“No, I want you to remember the anger you feel right now and not fall for Lindsay’s ‘nurturing mom’ routine. She is going to say things like I just did to you and for a second you’ll feel sorry for her, but don’t fall into that trap with her.” She tells me.

 

“Mel, your pep talks kind of suck.” I tell her.

 

“Just don’t fall for her shit.” She tells me.

 

“You’re right, Lindsay’s more subtle, but in essence that's her way of working people. Only we know what she’s really like, and I know who she is in New York. Trust me, nothing she says or does is going to make me feel bad for her.” I tell her. 

 

“It seems strange that she never tried to get involved in your career. She wanted to be a part of helping you reach success.” She tells me. 

 

“By the time Liddy showed up, Max was already in my life. I didn't need someone who isn’t really anything more than a wanna-be to tell me what they thought. She tried, but my bullshit filter saw through her shit, so instead, she set out to undermine my career.” I tell her. 

 

“Maybe you should teach us how to filter bullshit, because even after the shit she did we all tried to excuse it at first.” She tells me. 

 

“You mean you, don't you?” I ask her. 

 

“Yes, me.” She tells me. 

 

“Mel, you loved her, give yourself a little latitude. Love makes you want to believe the person you love is better than they are. We're only human, we're not infallible. It’s time for you to stop letting her interfere with your life five years later.” I tell her. 

 

“Are you going to kick my ass if I don’t get it my head on straight?” She smiles at me.

 

“I think I already did that, no I’m going to let you wallow in your misery. I’ll just remind you once in awhile that life is still out there, waiting for you. Only you can let go and start living again.” I tell her.

 

“I’m starting to let it go, but watching you forgive Brian for the way he treated you helps me see that it’s about now, not five years ago.” She tells me.

 

“I didn’t forgive him, we were both screwed up. It wasn’t our time, now is, and I only care about now.” I tell her.

 

Mel nodded her head and walked to the kitchen to see Gus. I started to go to my studio because I needed to paint the image in my head. I put a new canvas on my easel and started working. I was putting the finishing touches on the painting when I heard a knock on the door. Looking at the clock on the wall, I realized it was three in the morning. I’d been working for nine hours and didn’t even realize it. 

 

“Come in.” I shouted.

 

“I left you alone so you could work, but you need to get some sleep if you're going to catch your flight this afternoon.” Brian tells me.

 

“I was finishing the last painting. I need to find one more piece to hang for the show. This one is staying here.” I tell him.

 

“Can I look?” He asks me.

 

I shrug and move aside. I was looking at the painting and can say it turned out how I pictured it. Along the sides were moments in our lives; Brian and I meeting on the street, Brian and I standing in my house meeting again now, Brian holding Gus for the first time, Brian kneeling down to meet Aidan and me meeting Jewel, dancing together at Babylon in both times and in the middle was just a house with three children in the yard playing and silhouettes of Brian and I in all the windows. I painted in translucent paint five hands reaching toward each other towards the middle of the painting. It wasn’t going to take the art world by storm but it was about us.

 

“You don’t plan to use this?” He asks me.

 

“It’s too personal for me to show anyone. I have some pieces that I haven’t shown yet so I can use them. This is us, and it belongs in our home.” I tell him.

 

Brian looks at it one more time and then holds his hand out to me. I take his hand and we leave the studio and head to bed.

 

MAX

 

I picked up Jay at the airport and he seemed distracted. Normally when we saw each other we were talking a mile a minute, so quiet Jay was new to me.

 

“Jay, you gonna act like you're glad to see me?” I ask him. 

 

“Max, I’m always glad to see you. It’s just the first time I don’t have Aidan with me. He wasn’t happy that he isn’t going to see me for a few days.” He tells me.

 

“Why did you leave him in Pittsburgh? Shit, tell Brian to bring the family. You know you're going to be calling him every hour checking on all the kids.” I tell him.

 

“The kids can’t come to the show. I don’t need the kids seeing the subject matter that Sam or I paint.” He tells me.

 

“Have your mom bring your sister to watch them during the show, shit Jay, it’s not like Sam or your work isn’t abstract enough, the kids would get some of the themes. Well Sam did kind of go all out on the naked women frolicking in one or two, but yours is safe for the kiddies.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll talk to Brian, if he wants to bring them then he can.” He tells me.

 

“Emmett can help him if he does.” I tell him.

 

“How are things with Emmett?” He asks me.

 

“He’s quite possibly the one. He doesn’t play games and doesn’t have a problem with you and Aidan, so hopefully he’ll be the one.” I tell him. I needed to know that Emmett could love the real person not the persona.

 

“I noticed you put away the dizzy Max lately.” He tells me.

 

“Emmett deserves to meet the real me. We can play queens together later if we want.” I tell him.

 

“How’s everything going with Sam?” He asks me.

 

“Sam told me that we owe him for making him put up with Liddy this long. He wants you to show with him in Paris next year.” I tell Justin.

 

“Why not, we both were invited to show there anyway.” I tell him.

 

“That’s why I agreed with him. You should see how your works compliment each other. Sam can be a skeevy asshole when it comes to women but his art is always good.” I tell him.

 

“Anything on the agenda for today?” I ask him.

 

“I would say no but I know you want to see how we are hanging everything.” I tell him.

 

Jay and I get to the gallery and Elaine runs to Jay and jumps in his arms. As always, he lets her wrap her arms and legs around him, baby monkey style. Jay just carries her around like she’s Aidan. These two are like children around each other. I swear she loves him more than me. 

 

“Elaine, if I didn’t know you loved women and Jay loved men, I’d be asking when your wedding to Jay is.” I tell her. 

 

“I have daddy issues, mine never held me enough.” She sticks out her tongue at me.

 

“What's your reason for letting her hang on you like a monkey?” I ask Jay. 

 

“She makes the best chocolate silk pie.” He tells me. 

 

“How come I never knew that?” I ask him. 

 

“I didn’t want to share.” He tells me. 

 

“Is it in the refrigerator?” I ask her. 

 

“I made it as soon as you told me Jay was coming.” She tells me. 

 

I smile at them and take off running to steal the pie. They both stand there, until Jay realizes his pie is about to be stolen.

 

“Max, do not touch my pie.” Jay warns, then holds Elaine tighter and starts running after me. I dodge the installers and run into my office. Jay and Elaine are giggling like loons, but he has extra weight to carry while he runs past the workers, who just laugh at us. We get to my office and find Sam sitting at my desk, eating the pie. 

 

“Coming to the dark side Jay?” Sam looks at Jay holding Elaine. 

 

“Coming to kick your ass, that was my pie.” Jay tells him. 

 

“I only ate a piece because you made me deal with Liddy.” He tells us. 

 

“Like you care where you stick your dick.” I tell him. 

 

“Even I have some standards. Not many, but uptight, used up pussy makes me want to change teams.” He leers at me.

 

“Hairy hetero, doesn't do a thing for me.” I tell him. 

 

“How about you Elaine?” Sam smiles.

 

“Sorry it's pussy, or Jay.” She tells him. 

 

“Unfortunately I wouldn’t consider Jay, he might make me rethink the whole hetero thing.” He jokes.

 

“Is there a reason you're here eating my pie?” Jay asks him. 

 

“I'm trying not to kick the bitch and her cunt mother in the ass. They were in my house trying to redecorate.” He tells us. 

 

“You left them in your house?” I ask him. 

 

“No, I told them to go shopping, so I could come here and check on the show. Apparently Liddy thinks she's moving into the house and mommy doesn’t like my decorating ideas.” He tells us. 

 

“Bordello isn't decorating.” Jay tells him. 

 

“It is if you want groupies to get naked.” He smirks.

 

“Just put up with them for two more days.” I tell him. 

 

“Why do you think I'm here? It's the only way I don't say what I really think of the hags.” He tells us. 

 

“Let him eat the pie. I need to see Liddy go down.” Elaine begs.     

 

JUSTIN 

 

I hated not having Brian here last night. I’ve gotten used to hearing him breathe next to me and the kids pile in bed with us in the morning. It’s how I want to wake up everyday. I think it's time to tell him that, even if he already knows. Last night talking to him on the phone just made me miss him more.

 

I got up with a purpose this morning, to ask Brian to marry me tonight. I want us to be more than two people sharing a home. So I needed to get everything ready for tonight. I walked into Max’s kitchen and figured I better see why Max looks a bit green this morning. 

 

“Are you okay?” He looks like he's hung over.

 

“I'm just feeling off.” He tells me. 

 

“If you're sick, stay away from me. Brian is coming and I don't want to catch anything.” I tell him. 

 

“I'll be fine, it's probably the shitty tofu you made me eat last night.” He tells me. 

 

“Whatever, most likely your body is rebelling against the jelly donut in your hand.” I tell him. 

 

“Why are you so chipper?” He asks me. 

 

“I decided to ask Brian to marry me.” I tell him.

 

“Moving kind of fast, don’t you think?” He shoves the whole donut in his mouth.

 

“Five years isn't fast.” I tell him. 

 

“Five years you haven’t been around for.” He tells me. 

 

“He's my one, Max. If it isn't him, then it's no one.” I tell him. 

 

“Then we better get to work.” He tells me. 

 

Max grabbed another donut and we ran out the door. I wanted to find rings and set up dinner, so I could ask him in private. If he wasn’t ready, I didn’t want him to say yes because he had an audience. 

 

“When we're you thinking of getting married?” Max asks me. 

 

“As soon as he wants to.” I tell him. 

 

I found the ring I wanted in the second store. It was platinum with yellow diamonds set around the band. I wanted something that didn’t scream gaudy. Unlike the shit Max kept picking. 

 

“What do you think of this one?” Max asks me. 

 

I look at the gold ring with diamonds in every color of the rainbow around it. 

 

“Brian would say no just to keep that off his hand.” I tell him. 

 

“I meant for Emmett.” He tells me. 

 

“You questioned if I'm moving fast.”  I tell him.

 

“It’s just that he makes me happy. I see my future and he's my one.” He tells me. 

 

“Then buy the ring and run to your future.” I tell him. 

 

We both have them engrave the rings and we're going to pick them up after lunch. Max and I argued over where to eat, I wanted to try the new bistro we passed, Max wanted real food. I let him take me to his favorite Italian restaurant and watched him order enough to feed three people. 

 

“Hungry?” I ask him. 

 

“Shut up and order your healthy shit, I'm planning on enjoying my lunch.” He tells me. 

 

We were eating the appetizers when Liddy and company walked in.

 

“Out of all the places she could pick, why here?” Max asks me. 

 

“She's showing off, everyone comes here.” I tell him. 

 

Sam looked like he would rather sit with us, but knew they would just follow him. Liddy of course made the rounds to look important to her parents, nobody really said much to her. I waited for her to stop at our table, because she hadn’t had a chance to fuck with me in over a month.

 

“Mother, this is Jay Thomas, the artist Sam was kind enough to let show with him.” She puts on her fake smile.

 

“I own one of your pieces, Mr Thomas. I just love your work, and was hoping to add to my collection.” Mommy tells me. Lindsay wasn't happy to hear that.

 

“I'm sure once you get to the show, you'll want one of Sam's pieces.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“He isn't really my style.” She tells Lindsay. 

 

“Mother, Sam's work is magnificent.” Lindsay snuggles up to poor Sam.

 

“Mr Thomas…” I interrupt her.

 

“Please call me Jay.” I tell her. 

 

“Jay’s work is what I like.” She tells Lindsay. 

 

Lindsay was getting ready to blow a gasket and as much fun as that would be to watch, Max and I had better things to do.

 

“Liddy, we all know it's an honor for me to show with Sam.” I tell her. 

 

“Just like to me being able to convince Jay to show with me is an honor. Our table is ready, so we’d better go.” Sam tells us. 

 

Lindsay realized she needed to stop by the glare Sam sent her way.

 

“You're right Darling. Mother and I wanted to talk to you about some plans.” She tells Sam. 

 

Sam managed to hold it together and not dump the tray the waiter walking by was holding on Lindsay. Max grabbed the check and we left Sam with his hags.

 

We picked up the rings and headed to the airport to pick up everyone. I was so ready to see my children and Brian. Two days seemed like forever. I heard them before I saw them. 

 

“Dad, you promise Daddy is going to be waiting?” Jewel asks. 

 

“I want Daddy.” Aidan pouts.

 

“Dad said Daddy would be here Aidan, and Dad doesn't lie.” Gus tells him. 

 

“DADDY. “ Jewel yells running to me.

 

I kneel down to catch my daughter and the boys when they reach me. The empty place I had for two days, filled up more with each hug and kiss my children gave me. My mom, sister and Daphne grabbed the kids so I could greet Brian. 

 

He pulled me to him and kissed the last two days out of my mind.

 

“No more days apart, it’s too hard.” He whispers in my ear.

 

“If one of us goes, we all do.” I tell him. 

 

“Max, can you not molest Emmett in front of the children.” Mom tells him.

 

I look to see Max is trying to make up for weeks of not seeing Emmett. I think Max is right, Emmett is his one, but he needs to rein in the floor show.

 

“Max let go of Emmett before you get arrested.” I tell him. Which he ignored. 

 

“Emmett you asked me to let you know, so this is me telling you. I love you.” Max tells him. 

 

“I love you, Maxie” Emmett tells him. 

 

The boys start gagging with Brian and Jewel awed with the rest of the airport. We got Maxie and Emmett to walk towards the cars, before they started planning their lives. 

 

Brian and I left the kids with mom later that night to have dinner alone. I was nervous because I was about to ask him to marry me. I didn’t have any doubts, just wanted to ask. 

 

“Private dining room, candles, and soft lighting, couldn’t have picked a better place myself.” Brian tells me. 

 

“I wanted us to be able to talk without everyone watching.” I tell him. 

 

“You achieved that.” He tells me. 

 

I slide out of my chair and down on my knees in front of him. Brian pulls me up onto his lap.

 

“Yes, but not on your knees. You'll ruin your pants.” He tells me. 

 

“Yes what?” I ask him. 

 

“To anything you want.” He reaches into his jacket pocket.

 

I pull the ring out of my pocket and see him with one of his own. We each take the rings out of the boxes and he lets me slip his on first. I let him put mine on and stare at the platinum and emerald band. 

 

“Marry me.” I tell him. 

 

“Pick the place and I'll be there.” He tells me. 

 

“Pittsburgh, after all the bullshit is done.” I tell him. 

 

“Whenever we want, who cares about the rest of the bullshit.” He tells me.

 

Dinner didn’t seem as important as making love to my soon to be husband. Brian and I walked out of the romantic dinner and went to the room I rented for the night. We got to the room and I can see Max and Emmett left us a present. Brian picked up the bottle of Champagne and popped the cork. We didn’t bother with glasses, just took the open bottle with us to the bedroom. We undressed each other slowly between sips of Champagne. I pushed Brian on the bed and licked and kissed every inch of him, until I reached his cock. I started from the root and licked the head until I felt his legs quiver, then proceeded to swallow all nine and a half inches to the root. I wanted to taste him tonight. As I used my hands and tongue to drive him crazy, I watched his face transform into ecstasy. I tasted the beginning of his climax and swallowed every tasty drop of his offering. Brian laid there catching his breath and then turned me to lay down and returned the favor. We never looked away from each other as he swallowed me and then grabbed a condom and slipped it on himself to join us again. Instead of the fast pace we usually set the first time, we were able to slow down and enjoy each thrust and kiss. When we were both ready to finish again, Brian sped up and waited for me to cum first and then thrust the rest of the way and held himself still, while he finished. Neither one of us wanted to let the other go so we shifted when he pulled out and dumped the condom in the trash, and lay holding each other for the rest of the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I returned to the house very early because I wanted to be home when the kids woke up. Brian told me that Mel wanted to come too but would be here when Ted and Blake came in. I got to the house and walked in on Emmett rubbing Max’s back while Max seemed to be puking into a garbage can. 

 

“Is Max alright?” I ask Emmett.

 

“I don’t know Baby, he seemed fine earlier when we were trying out the hot tub. He just started throwing up a couple minutes ago.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I can’t be sick tonight, this is one of the biggest shows my gallery has ever hosted.” Max groans.

 

“Is he running a fever?” I ask Emmett.

 

“We were in the hot tub so he’s warm but it could be that.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I’m fine, I just shouldn’t have eaten half the menu at the restaurant yesterday.” Max tells us and pulls himself up off the floor. Thank god Emmett was standing there, because Max ended up passing out and would have hit the floor.

 

“Max, wake up. What do we do?” Emmett panics as he tries to get Max to wake up.

 

Brian walks over and helps Emmett carry Max to the sofa. Max starts to wake up but yells for the garbage can. I get it under him in time, but back up. It was nasty listening to him retch.

 

“Max we can handle tonight if you're sick.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I feel like absolute shit, and I wanted to ask you to marry me.” Max blurts out, but was looking at Brian instead of Emmett.

 

“Already engaged Max, and I doubt Justin is interested in be the other husband.” Brian jokes.

 

“Brian shut the hell up and let me ask Emmett without you barging into my relationship.” Max tells him.

 

“Wait, your serious?” Emmett asks Max.

 

 

“Yes, but I really wanted to ask you in a nicer way than while I puke over a garbage can.” He tells him.

 

“The answer is yes, but you can ask again when you're not throwing up, tends to make me worry why you're asking.” Emmett kisses Max’s head. 

 

“You can stay home tonight if you need to, Elaine and I can deal with this.” I tell Max.

 

“I don’t care if I have to hold a garbage can, I’m coming.” He tells us.

 

Brian and I go to the kids room and watch them sleep. Aidan sits up and rubs his eyes. I can tell he’s disoriented but remembers this room. He smiles when he see us sitting on the chairs by the beds.

 

“DAD, DADDY.” He yells excited to see us.

 

“Inside voice, you don’t want to wake Jewel up.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry Daddy.” He whispers.

 

“It’s fine, come on and we can start breakfast for everyone.” I tell him.

 

“I’m coming too.” Gus tells us.

 

“It’s too early Daddy, can’t we stay in the bed.” Jewel whines.

 

“Daddy and you can lay here and the boys and I will check on breakfast.” Brian tells us.

 

I snuggle with my girl and watch her close her eyes and sleep again. 

 

BRIAN

 

I stood inside the darkened gallery and watch Lindsey pacing around the lobby, pissed because Max wouldn’t let her in the main Gallery until the show started. Most of the people waiting in the lobby looked like they would rather eat ground glass than listen to Lindsay play the “Queen of the Art World”. People were excited to get a chance to see to famous artists showing together. Sam was MIA and wouldn’t answer any calls, until an hour ago. Apparently he meet his muse at the park when he left the gallery two days ago and took off and married her last night in Vegas.

 

“Sam you couldn’t have waited for tonight to run off? If you don’t show up you can forget Jay and Paris… Why didn’t you just say that… I’ll get someone to let you and wifey in.” Max hangs up and shakes his head.

 

“Wife number six?” Justin asks Max.

 

“Why not just hand them his bank account, they are never around that long.” Max complains.

 

Sam comes in with a very young girl giggling on his arm. He reaches for the champagne.

 

“Unless she has an ID that says she’s legal, she drinks the punch.” Max tells Sam.

 

“Fine. Sweetheart go get some punch, while I deal with Max.” Sam tells her.

 

“Don’t even know her name do you?” Max asks him.

 

“They all like nicknames, plus I really don’t care.” Sam tells him.

 

“Just make sure to announce it when Lindsay thinks you're going to introduce her.” Max tells him.

 

“Trust me, I’m looking forward to it. I had my agent get her shit out of my house. My darling wife and I don’t want to deal with her tonight.” Sam tells us.

 

Emmett and I take Shelly, aka wife number six, around the gallery to keep Lindsay from meeting her replacement. Emmett kept her entertained and I keep removing her hand from my crotch. Hope Sam realizes that trophy wife is going to run off with the next guy who offers her a bigger credit line. 

 

LINDSAY

 

My mother and I were finally let into the gallery, I stood next to the door and greeted each person and welcomed them to my fiance’s show. Mother wanted to know why Sam wasn’t with us and I told her he was working all night. Sam better be ready to apologize for disappearing after lunch yesterday and not answering any of my calls. Jay was standing next to Sam and talking to reporters and I decided to stand next to Sam so that we could be pictured together. I walked over near Sam and waited for him to tell me to come stand next to him. He looked at me and then past me. I turned to see Brian and Emmett standing there with some young girl. I honestly didn’t care if Brian knew anything anymore. I had Sam to give me what I wanted. I heard a reporter ask Sam about the rumors about me.

 

“You’ve been seen out lately with a certain lady friend, any wedding bells in the future?” The reporter asks him.

 

I waited for him to tell them all about me, my mother stood next to me and smiled with me.

 

“I was thinking of weddings last night and decided it was time to marry wife number is it five or six Jay?” Sam ask Jay.

 

“Six, but who knows, could be seven.” Jay jokes.

 

 

“Yeah, but when you meet the person who is your muse, you just have to marry them.” Sam tells everyone in the gallery.

 

“Why don’t you announce your news to everyone.” Max tells Sam.

 

“Honey is he going to propose here, in the gallery?” My mom whispers disapprovingly.

 

“It’s just the way artists are mother.” I tell her.

 

“It should be done in front of family, not people you barely know. Hopefully he gets you a tasteful ring.” She tells me.

 

I was about to tell my mother to shut up when I hear everyone clapping and cheering at something. We both turn to see Sam kissing some child. 

 

“Sam, I thought you were seeing another woman.” I hear a reporter ask him.

 

“You mean Lindsay Peterson or Liddy as we call her?” Sam asks.

 

“It’s who you’ve been with lately.” The reporter says.

 

“She’s a slutty groupie who will sleep with any artist just to be able to say she is part of the scene. Figured a pussy was a pussy, so I took her up on the offer to share a few nights.” Sam tells the entire gallery.

 

“How do you feel about Sam calling you a slutty groupie, Ms. Peterson?” A reporter asks while people snap pictures of me and my mom.

 

“Sam was just kidding, SAM TELL THEM THIS IS A JOKE.” I yell at him.

 

“Oh hey, I had my agent put your shit next to my garbage, you might want to pick that up before the garbage runs, maybe it already has. Darling, that’s the woman I was telling you about, she and her mother tried to redecorate our home.” He tells the girl.

 

“She’s so old Sammy, she could be my mom. She sure dresses like hers.” The little bitch tells Sam.

 

“That’s why I snapped you up darling, got tired of humoring her and the hag next to her.” He tells her.

 

I stood there watching all the pretentious assholes around me laughing and whispering to each other about me. I could feel the doors slamming in my face, because Sam had to marry some child, and let everyone know I was worthless to him. My mother turned and walked out of the gallery. I couldn’t stay here any longer. They would make sure I knew they are laughing at me. I wanted to do one last thing to hurt someone else. I walked up to Brian.

 

“He left knowing he was pregnant, because you kicked him out. So even if Michael hadn’t tried to kill him, he was running away with your child. Guess he either lost the baby or gave it away, must be just awful to know you not only fucked up Justin’s life but may have killed your own child.” I whisper to him and turn to walk away.

 

“Just so you know, Aidan is just fine. Unlike you, Justin kept OUR kid with him. The rest, I honestly don’t give a fuck about.” He whispers in my ear. He pulls Justin to him. “Want to congratulate me and Justin on our future marriage?” He asks me. He kissed Justin while reporters took pictures. 

 

I had to get back to Pittsburgh and make sure Michael and Deb understood that we had to protect ourselves.


Chapter 23 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I watch Lindsay walk stiffly towards the exit of the gallery. She wasn’t going to get away that easily. She really thinks she can just walk away from this without confronting the truth. I smile as the rest of the people in the gallery start looking at the art offerings and forget the drama, until they can be catty together without the possibility of it being reported by the press. Lindsay stopped in the lobby and stared at Mel who had just come in with Ted and Blake. Lindsay walked towards Mel. 

 

“Mel, it’s so good to see you. Do you think we could talk? I want us to be able to be friends again.” She tells Mel.

 

“I don’t have anything left to say to you. You destroyed every drop of love I had for you when you betrayed everyone, for what, to live like your parents. Even then I was stupid enough to sit around wallowing in misery, because the woman I thought I loved turned into someone who I could never see myself with. I’m going to look for someone who doesn’t have an agenda for everything she does.” Mel walked past her and into the gallery.

 

I was going to follow her outside but Brian came up behind me and wrapped me in the strong arms of the man I loved.

 

“Let her run to Michael and Deb. It’s time for this to be over and for us to start planning the rest of our life” He tells me.

 

“Should we send them invitations to the wedding?” I ask him jokingly.

 

“Lets just send them a copy of the wedding pictures.” He tells me.

 

We turn and head in so I can do my job and sell paintings to the masses. Max seem to be feeling okay but he was complaining about the healthy food. I walked into his office and sacrificed my chocolate silk pie to make Max quit bitching.

 

BRIAN 

 

We were staying in New York long enough for Justin to wrap up the show and finish with his business concerns. Max was a walking ball of misery, he couldn't seem to kick the virus that was causing him to get sick at all times of the day. I finally got tired of waiting for him to figure it out. I waited until Emmett and Justin were occupied with the kids in the indoor pool. I walked over and sat in the lounge chair next to him.

 

“Max, you know condoms have a failure rate. It's the only way Justin could have gotten pregnant by me.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm glad you weren’t playing Russian Roulette with Justin back then.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm glad that even with all the men I was screwing around with I didn’t end up giving him something. Although that's not what I was talking about.” I tell him. 

 

“Get to the point Kinney before I die.” He groans. 

 

“Did Emmett suddenly decide to top?” I ask him. 

 

“And that is your business, how?” He asks me. 

 

“Just answer me and I'll give you a present I picked up last night on the way home.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm verse so of course he's played top a few times.” He tells me. 

 

“Then here, take my present and pray for whatever you want the answer to be.” I tell him, handing him a gift bag, and get up to join my kids.

 

I come up behind Justin and tell him to go help Max. 

 

“Help him what?” Justin asks me.

 

“Find out if Emmett and he need to have a shotgun wedding.” I tell him.

 

MAX

 

I looked in the bag and thought Brian has a sick sense of humor. Jay got out of the pool and yanked me up and into the bathroom. 

 

“Take the test Max.” He tells me. 

 

“I'm not pregnant.” I tell him. 

 

“How do you know, unless you take the test.” He tells me. 

 

“Jay, Eric and I tried for two years before he finally left me for someone who could get him pregnant.” I tell him. 

 

“Eric got pregnant, not got someone else pregnant. He might have been shooting blanks.” He tells me. 

 

“He and the other guy had more kids.” I tell him. 

 

“Who had them?” He asks me. 

 

“I didn’t ask, I was to busy wallowing in shitty relationships.” I tell him. 

 

 “It won't hurt to pee on a stick, just so you know for sure.” He tells me. 

 

“I already know, and peeing on these sticks is how I tortured myself every month for two fucking years, before my ex finally told me he'd been fucking his best friend behind my back.” I tell him. 

 

“Emmett isn’t Eric, he isn’t going to shit on you if you aren't pregnant. Eric is and was an asshole for cheating on you.” He tells me.

 

“I know that, I just don’t want it to tell me ‘not pregnant’ again.” I tell him. 

 

“I’ll look for you, and if it’s no we just throw it in the trash.” He tells me. 

 

I grab the bag and walk in the bathroom. I stared at the box that caused me to hate taking a test that told me I wasn’t having a child of my own. I wanted to be the carrier, because I wanted to feel a child growing in my body. Watching Jay absently rub his stomach and smile when Aidan kicked was amazing. I wanted to experience that at least once. I ripped the box open and wanted to just dunk it water so I could at least pretend it wasn’t me not putting a plus sign on the device. I finally just pissed on it and put it on the counter. I walked out feeling the shitty feeling I used to get when I did this every month.  

 

Jay opened his arms and I let my best friend hold me while we waited for me to find out I wasn’t going to have a baby.

 

“Even if Emmett ends up having the baby for you, it will still be yours Max.” Jay whispers.

 

“I promise to be happy, even though I wanted to feel what you did when you were pregnant. I just want it to be me for some reason. I can’t explain why it’s important to me, but it is.” I tell him.

 

“I understand because I want to do it again, in a few years.” He tells me.

 

“Brian could sacrifice his amazing abs to the cause.” I tell him.

 

“He could, but I like the idea of all the other preggo’s salvating because I have that to go home to every night.” He tells me.

 

“I also don’t see Brian as a very happy preggo, bet he would bitch at every pound if he gained more than baby weight.” I tell him.

 

“Designers haven’t really come out with great male pregnancy fashion and until they do, Brian would rebel at stretch pants.” He tells me. I start to laugh and feel a little better but not perfect yet.

 

Jay looks at his watch and turns to walk in the bathroom. I stop him and decided to face the results on my own. I walk in the bathroom and look down at the test. Staring at it I put it back in the bag and walk out of the room. Jay follows me.

 

“Max it doesn’t matter.” He tells me, trying to wipe the tears on my cheeks away.

 

“I’ll be right back, just give me a minute okay.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, but if you need me then ring my phone.” He tells me.

 

“Can you ask Emmett to come find me?” I tell him.

 

“I’ll go get him.” He tells me.

 

“Just give me about five minutes.” I tell him. Jay smiles and tells me yes.

 

I go to my bedroom and pull the ring box out of my top drawer. I want to make sure that Emmett wants to really marry me. I light the candles I set up earlier in the room, because I wanted to propose to him in a way that he would want to remember. Scattered the rose petals on the bed and set out the champagne for us to drink when he told me yes again. I sat in my club chair and pulled the test out of the bag, and stared at it some more. When I heard Emmett knock on the door, I put the test back in the bag and dropped it behind me, it wasn’t as important as asking Emmett the right way.  

 

“Come in.” I tell him.

 

“Hey, Justin told me you needed me, so here I am.” Emmett tells me and smiles as he looks at the room.

 

I lead Emmett to the bed and sit him down. I kneel in front of him and begin my proposal.

 

“Emmett, I love you and want to spend the rest of my life making you as happy as I can. I know you said yes already but I wanted to give you a proposal that you would tell our grandchildren about one day. You're the person who is my one, because I don’t want to spend a day without you in it to make me smile when I feel like crying. You can make me happy, even when my day went to shit, just because you're here with me. Emmett Honeycutt will you do me the extreme honor of marrying me.” I ask him.

 

“Again yes Max, because you're who I want to spend my life with too.” He tells me. 

 

I pull his ring out of my pocket and slip it on his finger. “I want you to read what is on the inside the day we get married.” I tell him.

 

“Do you know how hard that is going to be? I mean all I have to do is slip it off while you're sleeping and see, or in the shower, or anywhere you don’t happen to be, because…” I stop him.

 

“I trust you never to do it, because it will be more special on the day I make you my husband.” I tell him.

 

“You know you suck right, because now I have to wait.” He smiles.

 

“Do you want to wait to have children, because I want to be a father.” I tell him.

 

“I’m ready when you want to try.” He tells me. It’s all I needed to hear. I uncork the champagne bottle and fill a glass for him. He smiles and sips it and waits for me.

 

“I can’t drink it.” I tell him.

 

“Still not feeling well?” He asks me.

 

“No, I just think it would be bad for the baby.” I burst into tears, the fucking hormones are going to kill me.

 

“Baby. Max wait, you mean that… shit I knocked you up… seriously, because no one is going to believe I topped you. Well obviously I did, and… wait are you okay with this, because I really want us to have a baby.” Emmett asks me.

 

“I couldn’t be happier.” I sniffle and let Emmett hold me. Emmett and I stayed in the bed and I finally get Brian telling me that your partner needs to be the first person in your life. I didn’t tell Jay, who is normally my go-to person. I waited for Emmett because he is the most important person in my life. Just as Brian and the kids are more important to Justin Taylor.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 24 by starlight

DEB

 

I swear if Michael wasn’t my son, I’d have told his mother to beat the brat. He’s been whining for over a month about the destruction of his fucking Captain Astro first edition. I wish I hadn’t looked in the envelope when it was dropped off. Michael would have ignored it because he never checks the mail unless it’s something he ordered. Of course sooner or later he would have been looking for the fucking thing. 

 

I ended up having to quit the diner when the manager would only schedule me four hours from 12 midnight to 4 AM on weeknights. He said it was the only time customers might not know I’m the one on the video that went viral. No one at PFLAG wanted me to come to meetings any longer, so I was stuck listening to my son act as if the world ended the day Captain Astro came torn to pieces. He didn’t go to work for a week. Now his boss is investigating Michael because cashiers weren’t short on any shift during the week Michael was gone. We are barely scraping by and he wants a new fucking comic. 

 

I walk in the house tired from working at the convenience store. I swear, assholes on beer runs suck worse than princesses and queens at the diner. My new boss told me that if I was on that meant on my feet, not sitting on on my ass. So coming in to see Lindsay sitting on my couch was not a welcome sight.

 

“What the fuck do you think you're doing here?” I tell her.

 

“Hello to you too, Deb. As to what I’m doing, I’m trying to save all our asses.” She tells me.

 

“Like I would believe you. More like trying to save yourself.” I tell her.

 

“Of course, but Michael is the one who could get in the most trouble. Judges don’t look as kindly on someone who attempted to murder someone else, as a woman who didn’t tell where a runaway eighteen year old brat disappeared to.” She tells me.

 

“There’s no proof anything happened, it’s Justin’s word against Michael’s.” I tell her.

 

“Then most likely they’ll find another way to punish him. Justin and the gang seem to be out for blood.” She tells me.

 

“Did they manage to put poor Lindsay down?” I sneer at her.

 

“Not yet, but right now Lindsay is poor and you and Michael are going to help poor Lindsay out.” She tells me.

 

“Not fucking likely.” I tell her.

 

“Deb, do you really want me to take all the receipts for the money Michael sent me to Big Q. I’m sure his boss could match transactions to missing money at the Big Q. I mean in the beginning Michael was sending money everyday, so the amounts probably equal the amounts the store was reporting missing. Can’t have little Mikey in jail now can we?” She smirks at me.

 

 

The bitch was smiling at me, while threatening my son. Well two could play at this game. 

 

“We wouldn’t want Brian to know who was fucking the PI, now would we?” I ask her.

 

“Like it fucking matters anymore now that Brian has Justin back. Seriously, you and Michael must share the same brain cell, because neither of you understand how to play the game. Now I’m going up to your spare room and get some sleep, tomorrow I need some money to get some new things, don’t even try to skip out on the cash Deb. Tell Michael I’m holding Astro Turd hostage unless he comes up with some money.” Little miss marches her ass upstairs and slams the door.

 

Michael comes out of the closet in his pajamas and sits on the couch. He starts fiddling with his computer, not saying a word.

 

“What were you doing in there?” I ask him. 

 

“Lindsay came in when I was doing my blog, and when she went upstairs without saying anything I jumped up and hid in there.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael we need to figure out how to deal with Lindsay. Could you stop messing with that?” I ask him. 

 

“What do you want me to do? I can't steal anymore money from the Big Q. My boss is watching me. Lindsay is right, all she did was keep quiet about Justin, well she did help me get rid of the pipe, when I brought it with me, but I don’t think she'd get in trouble for that, would she? I'm the one who hit him and left him in the alley in New York, thinking I killed him.” He tells me. 

 

“I need to find someone who could tell us. Lawyers cost money, which we don't have.” I tell him. 

 

“At least you'll be okay, the only thing you ever did was get credit cards in Vic’s name after he died, but that was a couple years ago so they would have done something by now right?” He asks me. 

 

I sit down next to him and look at the monitor. I smile at the image of me and Michael sitting together. Maybe we're worried over nothing.

 

“I'm going to bed son, but hopefully we'll figure out something tomorrow.” I tell him.   

 

I needed to find out if Michael could get in trouble for what he did, but the only person I could ask might not talk to me. All I can do is try, and hope Mel will at least answer my questions. Hypothetically of course. I look down at Michael pulling his mask down and talking into his computer, that boy is strange sometimes.

 

BRIAN

 

I got up to get ready for work. It had been great to take time off but it was time to let Ted have a life too. I turned to see Jewel cuddled next to Justin and Aidan on his back. Gus wanted to stay with Mel this week and since everything had been going well with her, we allowed it. I walked over and kissed Justin’s neck and then gave Aidan’s puckered lips a kiss.

 

“Bye Dad.” Aidan whispers.

 

“See you for lunch, little man.” I whisper back.

 

All plans were put on hold until Max stopped having to puke all day. Emmett wouldn’t let Max get on a plane until they had their first doctor’s appointment. Max seemed to think Emmett was an expert on all things baby, so they were waiting for the first appointment in two more days then coming back here to help.

 

I got to the office and grabbed coffee before taking on the pile on my desk. Ted was standing next to Cynthia’s desk looking at the screen with a silly grin.

 

“Hey, what’s got your attention?” I ask them both.

 

“An idiot named Michael Novotny.” Ted tells me.

 

“What’s he doing now?” I ask them.

 

“Apparently he has a video feed where he talks about all things Captain Astro. Why didn’t you tell me Justin tore up his Captain Astro first edition.” Ted smirks at me.

 

“Is he telling the world about it?” I ask him.

 

“Well he’s telling his five followers, one being us.” Cynthia tells us.

 

“You know you want to watch.” Ted tells me.

 

I walk around the desk to see Michael wearing his Captain Astro pajamas and a mask. Ted restarts the video.

 

“This is your Captain M coming to you from Planet Liberty. I am calling for all the fans of the biggest hero the world has ever known to unite with me to bring down the man who destroyed my first edition Captain Astro. I want to meet at my lair to discuss plans on bringing the man to justice for the travesty of harming a one of a kind comic. Send me an email if you are willing to help me get my revenge for Captain Astro.” 

 

“Is he for real?” Cynthia asks laughing.

 

“That’s Mikey for you.” I tell her.

 

“He posts every day, we were just looking at the first one.” Ted tells me.

 

“Did he ever get any more followers?” I ask because people will watch people make fools of themselves.

 

“He picks up a few here and there but has around ten hits at the most on any of them. There's about fifty of the videos.” Ted tells me.

 

“Tell Max about it, he’ll probably like writing comments about all things Mikey while Emmett keeps him in bed for the next eight or so months.” I tell them.

 

“I still can’t believe Emmett got Max pregnant.” Ted tells me.

 

“The world is full of strange shit Ted.” I tell him.

 

I go back to my office and start clearing off my desk so I can get home to my family. Justin and I discussed letting Max and Emmett get married first and we could follow a few weeks later. Emmett want to marry his babydaddy soon. Max just seems happy to be a dad finally.

 

MAX

 

I was kind of bored with sitting at my desk but Emmett and Elaine wouldn’t let me do a whole lot. It most likely has to do with the fact that I feel like I have motion sickness twenty four seven. With just normal gallery things going on I was bored out of my mind. Emmett was holding all plans until my doctor cleared my pregnant ass. I was just too happy about the baby to care. I just wanted something to do. 

 

When my phone rang, I jumped for joy. It was a chance to talk to 

someone, other than myself. Since it was Kinnetik maybe Brian would entertain me.

 

“Hello it's Max, please tell me you have juicy gossip or just want to dish some dirt, I'm desperate to be entertained.” I say.

 

“Hey, you sound in desperate need of something to do.” Ted tells me. 

 

“As long as I don't get up, lift or well anything but sit in my chair, I don't puke, so Emmett suggested sitting in my chair.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian thought you might like to watch Michael’s blog about Justin tearing up his Captain Astro comic. You could leave comments for him, it’s something. Plus it's actually funny to watch.” He tells me. 

 

“Please tell me he isn't getting hundreds of hits, the guy could become famous for being an idiot.” I tell him. 

 

“I think ten people watched them but no one is forwarding them. Cynthia said she's sending you the link. Have fun.” Ted laughs.

 

It was something to do, at least I could comment on it. I pulled up the email and click the link. They weren't joking, he posted fifty videos. I figured I'd start from the beginning and work my way through. After watching the first one, I started comments.

 

“Love the jammies, but I think the five year old wants them back.”

 

Not brilliant, but brilliance would come. I click on the next one.

 

“Max, what are you doing?” Emmett asks me. 

 

“Watching Captain Novotny’s blogs, the guy has serious issues.” I tell him. 

 

“Michael is blogging?” He asks me. 

 

“He started when Justin sent Captain Astro back in pieces.” I tell him. 

 

“I can just imagine the whining heard all over Pittsburgh.” He tells me. 

“You don’t have to imagine, he posted it. Ted said most have maybe ten hits, he couldn’t even get famous for being an idiot.” I tell him. 

 

“How do you see how many hits?” He asks me. 

 

“He posted on YouTube so it's listed as the views on the bottom of each link.” I tell him. 

 

“See the ten views on this one.” I show him number two.

 

“What does the k next to the second to the last one mean?” He asks me. 

 

“Guess he finally got people to follow him.” I look to see it's close to three thousand.

 

“Must be something people liked or thought was funny.” He tells me. 

 

I click it to see Michael once again in costume. It starts the same with him calling himself Captain M. 

 

“Kind of boring like the last one.” I tell him. 

 

We keep watching to see why others were watching and then see him get up and walk away. 

 

“Why would people watch this?” Emmett asks me. 

 

I shrug but keep it on, then I see Lindsay pass up on the stairs and Michael run to the closet.

 

“Guess he likes being in the closet everywhere, not just at work.” Emmett tells me. 

 

Nothing happened until Lindsay sits in front of the screen and starts playing with her make up.

 

“What's she doing?” Emmett asks me. 

 

“Some bloggers put themselves on the screen to see how it looks while they're doing it. Michael must have done it, it looks likes she's checking out her makeup.” I tell him. 

 

“Can’t you fast forward it or something? It's creepy the faces she makes.” He asks me. 

 

I move the bar that indicated the video was close to an hour and a half long. We stop to see Deb argue with Lindsay. I back it up so we can figure out what was going on. When Michael gets back on by himself, I reached for the phone. I told Jay they would shoot themselves in the foot, just didn’t think it would be on YouTube. 

 

 

 


Chapter 25 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I finally cleared my desk and was checking my email when Max called.

 

“Have you ever seen the show America’s Dumbest Criminals?” He asks me.  

 

“No, why?” I replied, not sure what he was getting at.

 

“I think we might have some living in Deb’s house.” He tells me. 

 

“Dumb definitely, but we knew that. Where does the criminal part come in?” I ask him. 

 

“You have to see it for yourself, especially when Michael tells all on YouTube.” He tells me. 

 

“What did he tell, that he's a closet drag queen?” I joke.

 

“As entertaining as that would be to comment on, nope. More like confessed to hitting Jay in New York and Lindsay helping to hide the evidence. Oh and Deb apparently got credit cards in some dead man’s name.” He tells me.

 

“He posted that?” I ask.

 

“Yes, but I don’t think he realized he put it all on there. Lindsay showed up and he didn’t stop recording.” He tells me.

 

“Which one, there are a bunch of him on YouTube?” I ask him.

 

“I sent you the link in an email. I also saved it on my hard drive, just incase he figures out what he did.” He tells me.

 

I tell Max to hold and click the email and link. 

 

“Okay got it, but it’s just Michael sitting there.” I tell him.

 

“A lot of it happens after Michael runs for the closet. Just go to about a half hour in.” He tells me.

 

I move the video forward and see Lindsay staring at me. I push it forward more and see Deb and Lindsay. As they finish their conversation and Lindsay leaves, out comes Michael, who crucifies them.

 

“Max, you still there?” I ask him.

 

“Yes. Can you believe it’s this easy?” He asks me.

 

“Let me get Mel to watch it and see what she thinks, because I don’t want them getting away with any of it. I’ll call you back.” I tell him and hang up.

 

I decided it was better to talk to her in person. I told Ted to watch the clip and left to go see Mel. Mel and Gus were outside cleaning the yard together, when I pulled up. 

 

“Dad, what are you doing here?” Gus asks me.

 

“I needed to get Mama to look at something and tell me what she thinks.” I tell him.

 

“You need me to look over something?” She asks me.

 

“Just watch something and give me your opinion, it’s about a hour long so I can hang with Sonny Boy while you look at it.” I tell her.

 

I sent the link to her, so I told her to just get the email and got to it. She left us to rake the leaves while she looked at the video. Mel comes out shaking her head.

 

“We need to talk to a criminal attorney to find out about how they would deal with Deb and the credit card fraud, but I forwarded the rest to a DA I know. The only problem with what Michael did is that there is a statute of limitations that dates from when the crime was committed. Michael could have gotten away with it, but he admitted that he thought he killed Justin. That is felony assault with intent, so it’s up to New York to decide.” She tells me.

 

“What about Lindsay?” I ask her.

 

“Lindsay could get time because she hid the weapon but she could also be charged with embezzlement along with Michael. It doesn’t matter that she wasn’t personally stealing the money, she knew the money was stolen and used it, by law she’s just as guilty as Michael for stealing the money. The Big Q would be able to prosecute them both.” She tells me.

 

 

MAX

 

Emmett and I were on our way to the doctor. In the last two days I sat at my desk, laid in bed and was pampered by my fiance. I started getting the creeping doubts again, what if the test was wrong. We got to the doctor’s office and waited for our appointment. Emmett was all calm and relaxed and I was jumpy. I need to hear the doctor tell me I was pregnant before I stopped doubting the other six tests I took. All of which said I was pregnant.

 

We got called in and I was given a cup to pee in and then sent to the exam room where Emmett was waiting. We were fiddling with some of the stuff on the walls when the doctor came in the room.

 

“Good Morning Max, how have you been.” Dr. Jacob asks me.

 

“Good, I’m getting married and hoping you’ll tell me I’m pregnant.” I tell him.

 

“Well then, Max you’re pregnant.” He tells me.

 

“See I told you, Maxie. He’s been acting like six tests could be wrong.” Emmett tells  Dr. Jacobs.

 

“Is there some reason you thought you couldn’t get pregnant?” Dr. Jacobs ask me.

 

“I was with someone for a couple years and never did.” I tell him.

 

“Well the tests are coming back positive, so that is one thing you can stop worrying about. Any concerns? Because everything looks normal so far.” He asks us.

 

“Yeah, I’m sick like all the time. Sitting still seems to be the only thing that I can do.” I tell him.

 

“We can prescribe some medications but most of it will be waiting it out.” He tells me.

 

We finished with my appointment and got my on-going appointments arranged. Emmett asked about flying to Pittsburgh and the doctor told us I could do anything I normally do, but to call if we needed him. I programed his number in my phone because I know I’ll have lots of questions.

 

Brian met us at the airport and told us what was going on with the dizzy trio. I knew about the New York DA because I called him personally and told him that I wanted results.

 

 

At that moment it was over for us. The Pittsburgh DA contacted the New York DA who got the ball rolling. No one wanted to ignore Jay Thomas and me, because money talks. Deb was taken in and told that the credit card companies were going to pursue charges. Big Q fired Michael and had him arrested before he could leave the building. Lindsay was being held for questioning, but the New York DA was going to offer her a reduced sentence if she testified against Michael. We were free of them and it was time to get on with our plans.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett and I had talked and I told them to get married first. Max wanted to still look good at his wedding. Max seem to be expecting massive weight gain and exploding belly any second. Max and Emmett’s wedding was being planned for New York because Emmett only had us to be there. Max had to invite most of the Art scene, they tend to get bitchy if they are discluded. Emmett kept worrying that his plans might not be what Max expected and came to me to see if he was making the right decisions.

 

“Emmett, Max doesn’t care. He wants you to do what you want.” I told him.

 

“I told him what I could afford and thought we could split the cost, do you know what he told me. He told me that the budget was however much I wanted to spend. Now I’m worried because the truth is, other than renting the ballroom at a hotel, well, that’s the most I can do within my budget. I think he expects a bigger wedding.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Max has never cared about impressing anyone, so do what you want.” I tell him.

 

Emmett seem to feel better about his plans after that. They planned to be married in a month because Emmett refused to rush plans.

 

Brian and I wanted a simple ceremony that included the children. Emmett wanted to help plan our wedding, but I told him that we weren’t going to turn it into a big event, just one that included the people we loved and care about. Brian had a couple of clients that he would have to invite but our wedding was going to be about our family.

 

A week before Max’s wedding he finally stopped feeling sick all the time. He told us that he’d been having nightmares that he had to carry barf bags on him. Max and Emmett had a party with family and friends because neither was interested in a bachelor party.  

 

The Ballroom was going to host the wedding and the reception. The each table was decorated with Bacarra roses and Ivory calla lilies in a vase. The stage had two large urns with the the same flowers on each side. When everyone was seated, Emmett and Max walked in together and the ceremony started. When asked if they had vows, Max spoke first.

 

“Emmett, thank you for allowing me to love you and for loving me. You’ve given me the one thing that I never thought I would have, unconditional love. So know that our child and I couldn’t have asked for a better father and husband.” Max tells Emmett.

 

“Max, thank you for allowing me to love you and for loving me. I couldn’t have asked for a better father to my child and husband for myself. I love you Max.” Emmett tells Max.

 

We all stood and clapped when they were pronounced united, and I realized that Max and I were always going to be friends but we both had other people who took importance over our friendship. I smiled at Aidan and Gus sitting on Brian’s lap and Jewel on mine, Brian and I seated side by side. 


Chapter 26 by starlight

EMMETT

 

Max and I were finally alone and as promised I waited until today to see what was inscribed in the ring. I pulled off the ring and read what Max felt was important for me to wait for.

 

“It was love at first sight and will be love at last sight”

 

“It will be love at every sight” Max tells me.

 

BRIAN 

 

Justin and I were sitting in my lawyer, Paul's office trying to consolidate our lives. Our wedding was next week and we wanted everything done before then. We wanted to know if Justin needed to do anything to resume his life.

 

“Staying with the name Jay Thomas would be easier.” Justin tells me. 

“Since you never needed to file taxes, and didn’t own property under Justin Taylor there is nothing to do. Just consolidate your lives together. You were never declared dead.” Paul tells him.

 

“With getting married, couldn't I just change Aidan’s and my last name to Kinney?” Justin asks him. 

 

“Yes and Brian should take a DNA test so he can bypass adopting Aidan.” He tells us. 

 

“Then I just get added to the birth certificate?” I ask him. 

 

“Yes and it protects you and him from anyone trying to disclude Aidan from your will. Justin needs to do the same with Jewel.” He tells us. 

 

“What about Gus?” Justin asks him. 

 

“Unless you feel any family members could try to take what you want him to have, that shouldn't be a problem.” Paul tells us. 

 

“If I adopt him, it would solve that from happening?” Justin asks him. 

 

“You'd have to have Lindsay agree, she is still his legal parent.” He tells Justin. 

 

“For now, put the amount I want in trust for him. Lindsay isn't going to agree to anything.” Justin tells him. 

 

“You're both sure you want to combine finances?” He asks us. 

 

“Is there some reason you think we shouldn't?” I ask him. 

 

“I'm a lawyer Brian and when I see assets this large, I ask. If you divorce, Justin stands to lose more.” He tells me. 

 

“I trust Brian, so just take care of it.” Justin tells him. 

 

We finished signing all the paperwork and left the office. It was a shock to see how much Justin owned under Jay Thomas. We never discussed how much he was really worth. I'm not a pauper but I’m nowhere near his league.  

 

“Brian we are not getting divorced, so let's not make this into you taking advantage of me.” Justin tells me. 

 

“I’m not worried about that, it was nice to hear your trust me.” I tell him.

 

With the wedding being just family and a few of my clients, we decided to have it in our home. Justin had a bower set up for us to get married under, and tables set around the area for the guests. He liked that the guests could sit in one place for the ceremony and dinner after. I didn’t care as long as it finished with Justin and I married.

 

We chose to have the children to be our best men and woman. Jewel was dressed in her princess dress and the boy were each fitted for their suits. Justin and I wanted the kids to stand with us as we joined as a family. Once everyone was seated, my family and I all walked to the front together and stood for the ceremony.  When the minister asked us if we had any words we wanted to say, I let Justin go first.

 

“Brian, we are truly blessed to be standing here and joining our lives. Even after being separated, somehow we found each other again and to me that means that we were meant for each other. I’m proud to stand next to you and become your husband. Thank you for loving me enough to never stop looking for me.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, there was never going to be anyone else. I would have spent my life waiting for you, but you found your way home to me. I know that I’m truly blessed to have had you come home to me with our son. Loving you has been one of the privileges that life bestowed on me.” I tell him.

 

The minister finished the ceremony and we walked with our children to greet everyone as the Kinney’s.

 

MAX

 

I had just started to show and wanted to take Emmett out for dinner to celebrate being four months pregnant. I arranged dinner at the new Greek restaurant that Emmett want to try. Emmett got up to talk to a couple whose wedding he was helping with, while I waited for the food.

 

“Max, is that you?” Eric asks me.

 

“Must be because my driver’s license says I am.” I tell him. Why is he fucking talking to me.

 

“I thought it was you, I just wanted to come over and say hi.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask him.

 

“Look, I know what I did was shitty, but I never meant to hurt you.” He tells me.

 

“Which is why I’m trying to figure out why you’re standing here.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want us to be on bad terms.” He tells me.

 

“Then turn your ass around and go find your hubby, because I don’t want to be on any terms with you.” I tell him.

 

“If it makes you feel any better we’re getting divorced. I thought maybe you and I could get together sometime.” He tells me.

 

“Not going to happen.” I tell him.

 

“I really think if we try again it could work. I wanted children and now we don’t have that pressure on us.” He tells me.

 

“Jay asked me a question and you could answer it for me now. Who had the kids, you or the hubby?” I ask him.

 

“I had the kids, Jeff didn’t want to.” He tells me.

 

“Hard for Jeff to have a kid with a guy who shoots blanks.” I toss out to see what he’s going to say.

 

“Did someone tell you that, because I promise I didn’t know until I got pregnant.” He tells me.

 

“I figured it out when I found out I was pregnant myself, because my husband’s swimmers made it through a condom.” I tell him.

 

“You married one of the crazy shits you dated?” He asks me.

 

“Since I’m not married to you, that would be a no.” I tell him.

 

“You finally convinced Jay to marry you?” He sneers at me.

 

“I really don’t get why you constantly wanted to fight about Jay when we were together. Now I wonder if it wasn’t because you were fucking around. Was that it, because you couldn’t keep it in your pants then I must be fucking Jay?” I ask him.

 

“There is no way two guys could be as close as you two were and not have been.” He tells me.

 

“That would be you and your bestie. Mine got married last month to one of my new best friends. In fact Jay is the reason I found my husband, so in a way you're right, because Emmett and I couldn’t be in a room together and not fuck.” I tell him. 

 

“Max, are you okay?” Emmett asks as he comes back to the table.

 

“Dandy, now that your back. Emmett meet Eric.” I tell him.

 

“Hi Dick.” Emmett says with a smile.

 

“Eric.” Eric glares at Emmett.

 

“Dickless works for me. Max we should introduce him to Brian. I’m sure he would love to come up with a name for Dick.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Yeah but what would be a good name for someone who treats you like shit for not getting pregnant, fucks around behind your back and then thinks you still want him when the new guy dumps his ass? And don’t let me forget, treats Jay like crap.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Brian would call him a dead man, but you know how Brian is about Jay.” Emmett tells Eric.

 

“Like I care about Jay’s husband. If Max had paid less attention to Jay and his brat, I wouldn’t have cheated on him.” He tells Emmett.

 

“At least this time Brian would let the garbage run, don’t you think Max?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Max, call me when you come to your senses.” Eric tells me, ignoring Emmett.

 

“You know what Eric, I think I owe Jeff a present for getting you out of my life. Shit Emmett, if it wasn’t for Jeff, I might have stayed longer with Dickless.” I tell him.

 

I smile as my mistake walks away from us. Eric is barely a glitch on my radar now. 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Emmett called to tell us that Max was finally in labor, and Max was being impossible about going to the hospital.

 

“Put him on the phone.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Here talk to Justin, and then we are going to the hospital.” I hear Emmett telling Max.

 

“Jay, is it true they don’t let you eat anything until the baby’s born?” He ask me.

 

“Trust me you're not going to want to eat anything.” I tell him.

 

“I really wanted some Chinese, but Emmett wants to go to the hospital.” He tells me.

 

“Order on the way, and you can eat it before you get there.” I tell him.

 

“See Emmett, I knew Jay could find a way for me to eat.” Max tells him.

 

“Hey, Brian and I are catching the next flight, so we’ll see you as soon as we can.” I tell him.

 

“You know we should just buy a plane.” Max tells me.

 

“Why would we buy a plane?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t know, but… Motherfucker… is there a reason this hurts this bad?” He tells me.

 

“Something the size of a watermelon is trying to get out of you.” I tell him.

 

“OUCH, Jay I don’t think I want Chinese anymore, cause it feels like someone is using a sledge hammer on my back.” He tells me.

 

“Go to the hospital, they give good drugs.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to go natural.” He tells me.

 

“Since when?” I asked him.

 

“Just wanted to say what you always hear right before the stupid people demand drugs.” He tells me.

 

Emmett grabbed the phone and told me they would see us at the hospital. The kids and I were on our way to pick Brian up at Kinnetik.

 

“Uncle Max is having my baby?” Jewel asks me.

 

“Uncle Max is having Uncle Em’s baby.” Gus tells her.

 

“Uncle Max said I could call it my baby.” Jewel tells him.

 

“Daddy is the baby ours?” Aidan ask me.

 

“No, the baby is Emmett and Max’s baby.” I tell him.

 

“But you and Dad have babies not them.” He tells me.

 

“Honey, other people have babies.” I tell him.

 

“Why have we never seen other babies?” Aidan asks me.

 

“This is the first one a family member has had.” I tell him.

 

“Why can’t we have the baby?” Jewel asks me.

 

“It’s not our baby.” I tell them as we pull up to get Brian.

 

“Can’t you and Dad have one for us?” She ask me.

 

“Have what for you?” Brian asks as he gets in the car.

 

“A baby, Daddy says that Uncle Em and Uncle Max get to keep the baby.” She tell Brian.

 

“It’s their kid, so they keep it.” Gus tells her.

 

“But Daddy, I want a baby to play with.” She tells us.

 

“Honey, you can’t play with a baby. It’s not like your doll, babies aren’t toys.” I tell her.

 

“Then can I have a doll?” She asks us.

 

“We can talk about that after we go to see Uncle Max.” I tell her.

 

MAX

 

Labor sucks in ways no one ever tells you. First it starts off with twinges and you think ‘this isn’t bad’ then it becomes like someone beating the crap out of you continuously. By the time I  was delivering my child, I decided that Emmett was an asshole and didn’t deserve me for the amount of work getting this kid out was taking. There was no way I was forgetting what this shit felt like. Emmett was Mr. Cheerful, but he wasn’t the one having to do anything. I wanted to get up and punch him when he said ‘one more push’ for the fifth time. I would have too, but the doctor was lifting the baby and I decided when I looked at the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, Emmett could live.

 

“It’s a girl.” Emmett tells me.

 

I was holding out my arms because it was my girl. The doctor cleaned her and then the nurse put a blanket around her and handed her to me. Emmett sat next to me.

 

“Emmett is it bad that I love her more than you?” I ask him.

 

“It’s perfect, because I feel the same way.” He tells me.

 

“What are we going to name her?” I ask him.

 

“Why don’t we name her after your sister?” He ask me.

 

“You wouldn’t mind?” I ask him.

 

“I think it would be a great way to remember her.” He tells me.

 

“Welcome to the world Anna.” I tell my daughter.

 

“Thank you for my daughter, Max.” Emmett kisses her forehead.

 

“Thank you for giving me a family.” I kiss my husband.

 

BRIAN

 

We stayed with Max and Emmett for a couple days. I took the kids out while Justin took care of Anna, so Max could sleep. Justin seemed to just pick up taking care of a baby like he was born to do it. We both had been talking about when to have another baby. I have a feeling that Justin is done waiting and I really don’t see any reason to wait either. 

 

I waited until we were in bed to ask him if he was ready for another baby.

 

“Do you want to do it?” I ask him.

 

“I always want to do it.” He tells me.

 

Justin undresses and smiles as he crawls up the bed to straddle my lap. He leaned over and kissed me while pulling my shirt over my head. I lift up so he could take my underwear off. I sit up and continue the kiss and flip him on his back. Justin reached for a condom and I stop his hand.

 

“Brian?” He questions.

 

“I want to have a baby.” I tell him.

 

“Are you sure?” He asks excitedly.

 

I nod and watch the condom drop to the floor. It felt different when I joined us with no barrier. When we were both ready to finish, I thrust one final time and emptied myself into him. 

 

“It’s feels different when there is a possibility of a new life.” I tell him.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was sitting on the bed waiting for Brian to come home. For five months we’ve been trying to have a baby. When I wasn’t pregnant, Brian told me that he was just fine with continuing to try every night. I wanted another baby, but wasn’t going to sit and worry about it. When it happened, it happened as far as I was concerned. 

 

Brian came into the bedroom to change and walked into the bathroom. I sat waiting for him.

 

“Justin, what’s this?” Brian asks me coming out with the gift bag.

 

“Look and see.” I tell him.

 

Brian reaches in the bag and pulls out the test I took this morning, after he left.

 

“Congratulations Mr Kinney.” I tell him as he looks at the test.

 

For me, being pregnant was like any other day. I didn’t have morning sickness or really get sick at all. My problem was Brian suddenly acting as if I was incapable of doing anything. He was driving me insane with his overprotective caveman routine. If I shivered I had blankets wrapped around me. He was consulting the doctor about everything, including sex. I finally had it with him acting like I was incapable of even cooking dinner.

 

“Jesus Brian, I'm pregnant not dying. You need to back the fuck off.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm just trying to make things easier for you.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t need you constantly hovering over me. I've done this before and managed just fine.” I snap at him. 

 

“I HAVEN'T! “ Brian yells 

 

“What are you two arguing about?” Mel asks coming in the kitchen. 

 

“Brian seems to think I can’t wipe my ass unless he's there.” I tell her. 

“Excuse the fuck out of me, for wanting to take care of you.” He snaps at me and walks out of the kitchen. 

 

“Why can't he understand that he doesn't have to do everything? It’s not my first time having a baby.” I tell Mel.

 

“Justin, he's never done this before.” She tells me. 

 

“Jewel and Gus tells me he has.” I tell her. 

 

“Brian has never been around when the person was pregnant. This is new to him.” She tells me. 

 

“What about Michael and Lindsay, he had to have been around sometime?” I ask her. 

 

“He was, but not on a daily basis. Justin, in a way you're having the first child that Brian has. He didn’t get to be with you when you were pregnant with Aidan. Lindsay and I didn't include him in things with her pregnancy. Michael tried, but Brian didn’t want anything to do with him. Stop treating him like he's in the way, because this is new for him.” She tells me. 

 

“It’s hard for me to have him treat me like I might break if I do anything. “ I tell her.

 

“He loves you, let him help.” She tells me. 

 

“When did you get so smart?” I ask her. 

 

“When someone told me to start living again.” She tells me. 

 

“I need to go apologize to him.” I tell her. 

 

“I'll watch the kids. Take your time.” She tells me. 

 

 I go to find Brian and hope he wasn't pissed enough to leave the house. I finally find him sitting on the roof.

 

“Why are you up there?” I ask him. 

 

“I didn’t want to make finding me easy on you.” He sneered. 

 

“I'm sorry, it's just different having you with me. I didn’t have that when I was pregnant with Aidan.” I tell him. 

 

“If I hadn't tossed you out, you would have.” He tells me. 

 

“Brian, that wasn’t the only reason.” I tell him. 

 

“You're right, I also made it impossible for you to feel you could tell me that your were pregnant.” He tells me.

 

“We need to buy some wood.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asked me.

 

“For the cross you can hang on when you want to blame yourself for everything. Brian, I was eighteen and didn’t understand everything wasn’t happily ever after. So when things got complicated, I didn’t talk to you either. What would you have said if I had told you?” I ask him.

 

“I wouldn’t have been jumping for joy at first, but I sure as hell wouldn’t have kicked you out.” He tells me.

 

“I was acting like a child who took his toys away to punish you. I got on that plane and thought to punish you for not being the perfect boyfriend. You just got robbed, and at the time I really thought I didn’t set the alarm. Instead of staying somewhere you could find me, I took off and went to New York. Michael said at the trial he followed me all over the city, until I went to make a call. Do you want to know who I was calling?” I ask him. 

 

“Me.” He tells me. 

 

“No, I was going to call Daphne and have her tell you where to find me. I was still being childish. I wanted to make you feel like shit, because I was mad at you. Instead of telling you first, I was going to tell other people I was pregnant. If I hadn’t been acting like a child you would have been there to see Aidan born.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin, it doesn’t matter what you did. I acted like my things were worth more than you.” He tells me.

 

“Can we just call it even, you for not knowing what was going on and me for not trusting you enough to talk to you?” I ask him.

 

“I just can’t promise you that I’m not going to want to do everything that I couldn’t when you had Aidan.” He tells me.

 

“I can promise you that I won’t run away from you, even when I you drive me crazy.” I tell him.

 

Brian climbs down the ladder and I run to him.

 

 

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

I managed to not drive Justin completely crazy as each month went by. One thing I learned was to walk away when he pulled out a bag of baby carrots. It was his way of telling me I was hovering. The first time he started crunching on them was when I ran to lift the bag of flour he was pulling out to make biscuits with. He started mumbling about five pounds and impossible husbands, then pulled out the carrots, looked at me, and bit into one while glaring at me.

 

“Craving carrots now?” I ask him. 

 

“No… ‘CRUNCH ’... just using carrots in place of your dick… ‘CRUNCH’.” He tells me. 

 

Since I happen to like having a dick, the carrots were in constant supply. The children were on my team and told me when Daddy was reaching for the carrots, of course I told them that Daddy ate them because he loved us. 

 

“Daddy must love us lots today.” Jewel tells me one day when I came in the door.

 

“Did he tell you that?” I ask her.

 

“No, he’s eating a whole bag of carrots.” She tells me smiling.

 

I grabbed the kids and took them outside to play. When we came in, dinner was on the table and not a carrot in site. By the time Justin was in his final week, he was eating carrots every time I saw him. Was it really that bad that I was helping him up the stairs and pulling him up when he wanted to get out of a chair? Justin’s answer was loud crunching.

 

I was ready to get sane Justin back, and almost cheered when the doctor told us that if the baby wasn’t here in the next two days, they would take the baby. Max, Emmett and Anna came to help with the kids. I was just hoping that between Max and Daphne, Justin would stop being hormonal. Not that I was stupid enough to say that out loud. I would have preferred Justin be throwing up rather than being pissy about anything I did to keep him from overexerting himself.

 

Justin and I wanted to know what the baby’s sex, but baby wasn’t cooperating. We must have the only baby that shows it’s ass and not anything else to the camera. 

 

Justin and Daphne were going to get some bagels for breakfast. I was going to suggest that I go but the glare stopped me. 

 

“He’s giving you hell, isn’t he?” Max asks me.

 

“He seems to think that anything I do to help is too much.” I tell Max.

 

“He didn’t want me to help either.” Max tells me.

 

“I just wish he would have let me go to the shop. He could go into labor at anytime.” I tell Max.

 

“At least he’d call you when it happens. I got to the hospital after he delivered, I only found out he was at the grocery store when the guy who brought him to the hospital told me.” Max tells me.

 

Justin got home and started making breakfast for everyone. Every once in awhile Justin would stop what he was doing for a minute, smile at me and then resume cooking. I didn’t know why but I was just smiling back because I wasn’t sure why he was smiling at me. We all sat down for breakfast and when Justin sat next to me, I heard him breathing hard.

 

“Everything okay?” I ask him.

 

“I’m fine, let’s just eat and then you can take me to the hospital.” He tells me.

 

“Sure.” I tell him.

 

I bit into my toast and started chewing, then thought about what he just said. 

 

“Justin, what’s going on?” I ask him.

 

“We’re eating breakfast.” He tells me.

 

He drops his fork and grips the table. I watched as he closed his eyes and started breathing in pants. He lets go of the table and resumes eating again, like he wasn’t in fucking labor.

 

“Emmett, can you take care of the kids, I think Brian and I need to go.” He tells Emmett calmly.

 

“Baby, is it time?” Emmett asks him.

 

I didn’t wait for an answer I pulled him out of his chair and started walking him to the door. Justin was doing great until we reached the front door then he let me go and braced his hands on the door.

 

“Brian we need to hurry.” Justin tells me.

 

I got him to the car and put him in as he was smiling and waving to the kids, who came outside to watch us go. Once I got us on the road, Justin stopped pretending nothing was going on.

 

“I really want something to knock me the hell out, this is worse than when I was having Aidan.” Justin tells me while hunching over.

 

“We’ll be at the hospital in fifteen minutes.” I tell him.

 

Justin leaned the seat back and was shifting around. I keep my eyes on the road as he moaned and whimpered on the passenger side of the car. I pulled up to the entrance and ran into get a wheelchair because Justin couldn’t move out of the seat. When the orderly and I came outside, it was to see an EMT standing outside the open passenger side door.

 

“Sir, we need to get you in the hospital.” The EMT tells Justin.

 

“It’s coming right now.” Justin yells at him.

 

“Can I check?” The EMT ask him.

 

Justin nods his head and allows the EMT to exam him. The EMT turns after examining Justin and tells the orderly to get the doctor out here because he has a head in his hand.

 

“But he just started labor fifteen minutes ago.” I tell the guy.

 

“No, it started this morning.” Justin pants out.

 

“You didn’t think that was something you should have told me?” I ask him.

 

“I wanted to have breakfast with the kids first.” He says and lets out a scream.

 

The doctor came running out the door and the orderly came with a gurney, behind the doctor.

 

“Well Justin looks like the baby didn’t want to come inside.” The doctor tells us as he and the EMT cut his pants off.

 

I stood there at the entrance to the hospital and watched as my daughter was born in the front seat of my car, along with the rest of our family who pulled in to the hospital. When she was delivered, Justin was loaded on a gurney with the baby in his arms.

 

“If I had a bag of carrots right now, I’d have stuffed them all in my mouth.” I tell the twat.

 

Emmett, Max and I had to catch the kids when they tried to join Justin on the gurney. We followed Justin into the hospital. I handed Aidan off to Emmett and went to see Justin and our new daughter.

 

The nurse handed me scrubs and helped me get ready to go in the room. Justin was laying on the bed smiling down at the baby.

 

“Brian, are the kids okay?” Justin asks me when he looks up.

 

“They’re fine, it’s not everyday they get to watch a baby being born.” I tell him.

 

Justin holds out the baby for me to hold. I look down at my impatient little girl and fall in love, just like I did each time I met my new child.

 

“What are we naming her?” I ask Justin.

 

“Gemma, I want Gemma.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why?” I asked him.

 

“It means precious one.” Justin tell me.

 

I lean over to kiss Justin and have my Gem in my arms, life couldn’t have turned out more perfect if we tried.  


Chapter 29 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

You know, all through my pregnancy, I kept getting pissy with Brian for helping me. Now I want to get down on my knees and thank him, for making it so I'm not running myself ragged with four kids. Brian was letting Ted and Cynthia run things at work while he stayed home and helped with the kids. We were lucky that Jewel, Gus, and Aidan had started school. It made it easier to give all the kids our time. 

 

Brian took the night shift because he still went in to work long enough to help Ted and Cynthia, but was home in time to watch Gemma, while I picked up the others from school. It worked out great, because it gave me a chance to get out of the house everyday.

 

Max was talking about the Paris show this summer, so we had some decisions to make about whether all of us go or just I did. 

 

“If I go alone, I could just leave after and come home.” I tell him. 

 

“Do you want to go alone?” He asks me. 

 

“I want you there, but who would watch the kids?” I ask him. 

 

“Why not invite your mom, Molly and Daphne.” I tell him. 

 

“They would want to go to the show too.” He tells me. 

 

“What's Max doing with Anna?” He asks me. 

 

“They were going to bring her, Emmett was going to watch her while Max works.” I tell him. 

 

“I could do the same thing.” He tells me. 

 

“Brian, we have four, not one.” I tell him. 

 

“And I'll have your family to help me.” He tells me. 

 

So we ended up making reservations for a private flight, because Mel, Ted and Blake came too. Max rented a villa for two weeks so we could vacation after the show. While Sam and I had to do the rounds before the show, the family got to see the sights. Brian was in charge of getting everyone outfits to wear to the opening, which required a trip to Italy for Brian. 

 

Sam was divorcing wife number six, but this time she left him, not that Sam seemed to care. He was eyeing Daphne, who was wearing a deep purple slip dress that had a slit up the leg.

 

“I think I just saw my muse.” He tells me, tilting his head at Daphne.

 

“She’d rip your balls off and feed them to you Hannibal style.” I tell him.

 

Sam seemed to think about it and decided to try for the giggling blonde smiling at him. Brian and our children showed up and I can honestly say Armani was born to dress my family. Jewel was wearing a yellow princess dress and Brian had Gemma in a lilac dress. The boys were wearing suits like their father. I just smiled at the women and men eyeing my husband. 

 

I had to make myself available to answer questions, so Brian and Gemma stuck by my side, while the kids went around with Mom, Daphne, and Molly. I was answering another question about Brian and our children, when I see Daphne running up to us.

 

“Justin, you and Brian have to see this.” Daphne tells us.

 

We follow Daphne to one of my paintings to find Jewel, Aidan, and Gus sitting in front of it with a cake in front of them and their faces covered in frosting.

 

“They were offering the waiter that painting for the cake.” Daphne tells us.

 

“The chef thought it was cute and brought them a cake, they just sat down and started eating it.” Mom tells us.

 

When the show was over the kids were still hyped up on sugar, but managed to crash in the car on the way to the villa. So all of us put the kids to bed and decided to sit out on the veranda and have adult time. 

 

“Are you and Emmett still thinking about moving to Pittsburgh?” Ted asks Max.

 

“I would still have to be in New York part-time because of business, but Elaine can take care of most of the week.” He tells Ted.

 

“Max and I want Anna to be raised with the other kids.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Are you two going to have any more?” Blake asks them.

 

“We want to wait until Anna is older, but most likely.” Max tells them.

 

“What about you and Brian?” My mom asks us.

 

“Brian and I decided that Gemma is the last one for us.” I tell Mom.

 

“What about you Ted, any baby fever?” Max asks him.

 

“Ted and I like being uncles, but we could change our minds.” Blake tells us.

 

“I like the freedom not having a kid gives Blake and me.” Ted tells us.

 

“What about you Mel, ever going to get back in the dating game?” Emmett ask her.

 

“I’m open to the idea.” She tells us.

 

“Mel, you need to just get out there.” Daphne tells her.

 

“It’s different when you're older. I don’t want to go to the bars, but it seems to be the only place to meet anyone.” She tell us.

 

“What about other people you meet at work?” Daphne asks her.

 

“The problem with that is all they want to talk about is law. I’d rather be able to come home and not talk about work.” She tells her.

 

“I promise not to talk about law.” Elaine says from the doorway, then turns and walks back in the house. Mel seemed to be rendered mute.

 

“Mel, that was lesbian for ‘let’s hook up’.” Brian tells her.

 

Mel stands up and walks to where Brian is sitting. Brian looks at her trying to figure out what she’s doing. She leans over until they are touching foreheads and pecks him on the lips. Then shakes her head and starts walking away.

 

“Why’d you kiss Brian?” Emmett asked her.

 

“It’s been so long for me that I needed to remind myself that I still play for the home team.” Mel tells us.

 

“Kissing Brian proved that?” I ask her.

 

“I figured if I was switching sides, kissing Brian would remind me why I like being a lesbian.” She smirks and walks in the house.

 

“Dream about me Smelly Melly.” Brian yells to her.

 

“That’s nightmares, stud boy.” Mel yells back.

 

“Oh man, they're going to get it on aren’t they?” Max ask me.

 

“Doubtful, women have to have meaning behind sex.” I tell him.

 

“But if they do we’ll all know about it.” Max tells us.

 

“And your point? Because it’s not like we don’t know about you guys going at it.” Daphne looks at Max.

 

“Look if it was you Daphne, we could at least fantasize about the guy, but now we’re stuck with all girl parts.” Max shivers at the thought.

 

“Lezzie sex could be hot.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Can we not say sex?” Max tells us.

 

“Why not?” Emmett ask him.

 

“Cause dude, Elaine is like my sister and you’re telling me you find that hot?” Max asks him.

 

“We could picture Tucker, because Mom got a prime piece.” Daphne high fives my mom.

 

“Brian, I think I just lost the ability to get hard for the next twenty years.” I tell him.

 

“You and your mom do seem to pick men everyone wants to see naked.” Ted teases me.

 

“Brian, Ted wants to see you naked.” Daphne singsongs.

 

“Of course he does, but he’d rather see Justin, he just doesn’t want me to kill him for saying it.” Brian says tongue in cheek.

 

“Could we not talk about my son naked?” Mom asks us.

 

“How about we talk about Tucker naked.” Daphne teases Mom.

 

“Brian, if you ever want to see me naked again, we need to get out of here.” I tell him.

 

“I’m afraid to go in the house, we might spot random girl parts.” Brian tells me.

 

“I promise to show you my boy parts.” I whisper in his ear.

 

Brian gets up and drags me into the house.

 

“We heard that.” Daphne yells.

 

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

MICHAEL 

 

Ma was still pissed at me for getting us in trouble. It's not like I meant to post what we said. I just forgot to turn off the recorder when Lindsay came in and just wanted to post, so my fans weren’t left waiting. I should have watched it before I put it up, but I didn’t want to be around when Lindsay came downstairs.

 

When the police showed up at work, I thought it was about the money I took. They told me I was going to be transported to New York for the assault on Justin. I tried to tell them Justin was lying and it was Justin who assaulted me by hitting me and dumping me in the dumpster at Babylon. 

 

“Mr. Novotny, we deal in facts. According to the police officers who investigated your charge against Mr. Taylor, nobody could verify you were even at Mr. Kinney’s house that day.” The detective, Parker, tells me.

 

“It happened and no one cares that I was hurt.” I tell him.

 

“We need to talk about your confession to assaulting Mr. Taylor.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know what your talking about.” I tell him.

 

“Mr. Novotny, you post on YouTube, don’t you?” He asks me.

 

“I post about my favorite comic hero.” I tell him.

 

“Yes you do, but you also posted video of a Lindsay Peterson, your mother, and you, talking about you assaulting Justin Taylor and trying to cover the crime.” He tells me.

 

“I did not.” I tell him.

 

Detective Parker, turns his computer towards me and I watch the night Lindsay showed up at our door. Shit, why didn’t I shut the computer off? 

 

“I want a lawyer.” I tell him.

 

“That’s fine, I’ll give you time to find an attorney, because you need one. I need to talk to Ms. Peterson anyway.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay is here too?” I ask him.

 

“We have all of you here. Your video lead to a of couple cases.” He tells me.

 

“Ma didn’t have anything to do with it.” I tell him.

 

“Credit card fraud is a crime too.” He tells me.

 

“The credit cards were years ago.” I tell him.

 

“Two years is still within the statute of limitations.” He smiles as he walks out the door.

 

Ma had to sell her house to pay back the companies. She got probation, but was pissed because I got us all in trouble. Lindsay got hardly any time, because she played it off as trying to help a friend in trouble, plus her parents paid for a really good lawyer. She still had to serve a year for hiding the pipe. We both got out of Big Q prosecuting us because her parents paid the money back, with the condition they didn’t prosecute Lindsay. So at least I didn’t have to have that on top of assault with a deadly weapon. I wanted to tell my side of the story, but my lawyer told me to just plead out and hope I don’t get the maximum sentence. I told him that I wanted to be put on the stand, because I never meant to hurt Justin, I just wanted to make him go away. 

 

“Mr. Novotny, if I put you on the stand then the DA can ask you questions. They have enough evidence without you saying anything to put you away.” He warns me.

 

“People need to hear that I didn’t mean to harm him.” I tell him.

 

“You admitted that you picked up the pipe with the intent to cause harm.” He tells me.

 

“Just put me on the stand.” I tell him.

 

The day it was my turn to talk the DA told me to describe the day I assaulted Justin.

 

“I never intended to harm Justin, I went to make sure he didn’t get in trouble by himself. He was always doing stupid things.” I tell the court.

 

“Could you just tell us what led to you hitting Mr. Taylor?” He asks me.

 

“I was following him around because I was concerned that he could get hurt. He walked all over the place and then went to make a call. I didn’t want him calling my boyfriend Brian and making him feel like he had to come take care of another of Justin’s messes.” I tell him.

 

“You're talking about Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor’s husband?” The DA asks me.

 

“Yeah, I guess Justin got his way again. Brian was supposed to be with me, not him.” I started crying while I told my side..

 

“Can you continue?” The judge asks me.

 

“Yes. Anyway, I wanted Brian and I to have a chance, like we would have had if Justin hadn’t kept showing up and confusing him, so I wasn’t thinking, I just picked up the pipe and hit him.” I tell them.

 

“There just happened to be a pipe on the street?” The DA asks me.

 

“Yes.” I tell him.

 

“Are you sure that’s true?” He asks me.

 

“Yes, I didn’t plan to hurt him, it was spur of the moment.” I tell him.

 

“Mr. Novotny, when we plotted the path you and Mr. Taylor took, we noticed that you and Mr. Taylor walked by a construction site a couple of blocks from the payphone he went to.” He tells me.

 

“So?” I ask him.

 

“The foreman of the construction site told me that this pipe is the kind they used during that construction.” He tells me.

 

“I guess one of their guys dropped the pipe where I found it.” I told him.

 

“Did you know that the construction site had cameras on the yard, because they had problems with people stealing supplies.” He asks me.

 

“OBJECTION.” My lawyer yells.

 

“So what if I pick up the pipe from there? I was worried about the neighborhoods Justin was running around.” I say over my attorney.

 

“Mr. Novotny please stop talking.” My lawyer tells me.

 

“They need to know that I didn’t pick up the pipe to hit Justin with.” I tell him.

 

“Mr. Novotny and Mr. Kelly, this is a court of law. Please refrain from arguing with each other.” The judge tells us.

 

“I want to tell my side and he’s trying to stop me.” I tell them.

 

“You understand that Mr. Kelly is trying to defend you don’t you?” The judge asks me.

 

“I want you to understand that if Justin wasn’t always around, Brian would have come to me.” I tell the judge.

 

“So by hitting him you were trying to insure Mr. Kinney would want a relationship with you?” The judge asks me.

 

“Yes.” I smile as he seems to understand what I was trying to say.

 

My lawyer put his head on the desk and the DA seemed to smile, like I said something to make him happy. 

 

 

“SHUT UP, MICHAEL.” Ma yells.

 

“Ma'am, you need to sit down.” The judge tells Ma.

 

“Your railroading my son, I won’t sit here and let him be sent to prison because his attorney let him talk.” She tell him.

 

“You’ll sit down and be quiet or you’ll sit in a cell for contempt.” He tells her.

 

“It’s all Brian Kinney’s fault, not my son’s. He should be sitting there not my son. None of you care that Brian played with my son’s feelings and it led to him doing what he did.” Ma tells everyone.

 

“Ma’am, one last time, sit down and be quiet.” The judge ordered.

 

“You don’t tell me what to do, I won’t be quiet when you are hurting my son.” She tells him.

 

“Bailiff, please take Ms. Novotny into custody.” The judge ordered.

 

The bailiff walked over to Ma and tried to put her in handcuffs, Ma slapped him. It took two guards to get her out, screaming and shouting all the way. The judge ordered a recess and I was taken to the other room with my attorney.

 

“Michael, you need to plead guilty.” He told me.

 

“I didn’t mean to do anything, so I’m not going to plead guilty.” I tell him.

 

I ended up getting ten years, because no one believed my side of the story. My lawyer suggested when Lindsay was put on trial to shut the hell up and only answer what I was asked. I told him I would.

 

At Lindsay’s trial she tried to make it sound like Ma and I scared her into silence. She told them that she was scared for her life and that is why she helped me.

 

“So you're telling us that you were scared that Mr. Novotny might hurt you too.” The DA asks her.

 

“Yes, he might look harmless but when he told me what he did, I was scared of what he would do to me. I know I should have said something.” She tells him with tears in her eyes. I wanted to stand up and smack the bitch for lying.

 

“You were so scared that you blackmailed Mr. Novotny for your silence, doesn’t sound like you were too worried when you made him pay for your silence.” The DA tells her.

 

“I wanted to get away from him and his mother, you saw how violent she is at Michael’s trial. She had to be removed from the court, and still assaulted the officers arresting her.” Lindsay points out.

 

“Yet you didn’t seem to scared in the video when you threatened to tell the police about what Mr. Novotny had done. You also stayed in the house uninvited, shouldn’t you have been worried what they would do to you?” He asked her.

 

“I might not have showed it but I was terrified of them. I just needed to make sure they left me alone.”  She tells him.

 

“Why would you pick a place to go where the people terrified you?” He asks her.

 

“I didn’t have any choice.” She defends herself.

 

“Why not go to your parents house.” He asks her.

 

“My mother and I weren’t talking to each other.” She tells him.

 

“Your Honor, at this time I’d like to show the court part of the video in evidence.” The DA tells the judge who allows it.

 

The video of Lindsay coming in and walking up the stairs and me running and hiding from her comes on. The DA let the court watch as Lindsay played with her make-up and then talked to Ma.

 

“You didn’t seem too concerned that they would harm you.” The DA tells her when they stop the video.

 

Lindsay sat there with a sour look on her face and was dismissed to sit with her attorney. The DA felt he made his case and told my lawyer he wouldn’t need me. I got escorted back to prison. Ma came by a week later and told me they only gave Lindsay a year and five years probation. Then Ma told me it was all my fault for posting on fucking YouTube. It’s not my fault. It’s all Justin Taylor’s for coming along.

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=449