- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

I figured posting this after reunion in the main story will explain Evan better. It's short, but I hope you get to understand him a little more.

This conversation takes place the weekend following Evan's business proposal to Brian, when Justin returned the brushes.

Evan left Brian's office, surprised his friend didn't know his hellcat. Or maybe he was afraid to go down that lane, but he had to swallow his pride and show his hellcat he still loved him.

When Brian had told him the previous week that he'd bought those expensive brushes, Evan knew that Justin would return them. He'd tried telling Brian, but Brian had none of it, got defensive and hung up on him.

It was time for serious interfering. He was even ready to step away if his presence would somehow be an impediment in their reunion. Apple account be damned, his friend's happiness was more important. Evan could proposition Jerry to work on Apple together; they've been friends for years and had dabbled at working together over the years. Jerry's company was pretty big and known in the city, unlike Brian's.

That following weekend, Evan invited Brian to his favorite restaurant, Cafe Select, for brunch. Brian had commented with an eyeroll that brunch sounded so fancy, but he accepted the invitation nonetheless. Evan knew he needed to go out, and since all his friends were back in Pittsburgh, and the only one he knew in the city wasn't talking to him, it was his duty to take him out and make sure Brian socialized.

They were seated in a quiet corner, for which Evan was grateful. He needed peace and quiet for what he wanted to tell Brian. They placed their orders, Tropical Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, which consisted of coconut milk, chia seeds, roast nuts and fruits, roasted coconut, for Evan and Fried Halloumi, which was over roasted tomatoes, sauteed spinach, poached eggs, tomato relish and field greens, for Brian; both sided with coffee.

"Okay, now tell me why we're here," Brian said once their waiter was gone.

"Can't I invite my friend out for brunch?"

"We're not friends, Evan."

"We're celebrating your call from last night to announce me that we're becoming business partners."

"Try again." Brian glared over his glass of water.

Evan sighed. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

Brian scowled, leaning back on his chair. "What," he barked, his defenses raising. He hoped this wasn't a date in Evan's head, because that was the last thing he wanted.

"About us...about me, actually."

"What the fuck? There's no us. The only us there will ever be is us being business partners."

"I want to tell you about how I became the person that I am. I don't want you making my mistakes, and as much as you might not believe me, I want to help you get back together with Justin. I know when to step back. I know when I overstepped an invisible line."

"The line was very much visible and solid," Brian snapped.

"Are you willing to hear me out?" Evan asked quietly.

Brian waved a hand, telling him without words to proceed.

"I can't help but notice similarities between us, and if this would have made happy some time ago now it shows me that you paid maybe too much attention at how I acted back then."

"What the fuck are you talking about," Brian demanded. He nodded mutely to the waiter, bringing their food.

Evan sighed. "You've become a lot like me, and I don't want you to repeat my mistakes."

"I hate to break it to you, Steele, but we're nothing alike."

"No shit? What did you tell me about fucking around, never the same guy, until you met Justin? You never got attached to anyone. And I could bet all my money that you even tried rejecting the attraction you felt toward Justin in the beginning. But the little hellcat got under your skin. Am I right?"

"I'll have you know that I've been around before I met you, but as you must have guessed, for unknown reasons, I liked you a lot. I still don't know what I saw in you, but I liked you and I stuck around, taking all the crap you gave me. When you left, you hurt me, Evan. You proved to me that feeling something toward someone else brought only pain in the end. It was something I already knew from my family, but I'd grown to think I might have it wrong."

"I'm really sorry I broke your trust that way. We never got to know each other better."

"I wonder why that is. We only fucked, Evan. For you, I was just a fuck, a hot commodity at your disposal. I was too young and stupid to see it."

"And you'll never know how much I regret hurting you that way. I only realized what we had was a little more than casual sex when I found myself here, in this big city, trying to make my way in the ad world. I missed our quarrels. I missed calling your name, and for you to appear in my office within the second like an eager pup. I missed waking up next to you."

Brian rolled his eyes. "Let me not believe you. It took me a few days to get back on track to push your memory to the back of my mind. Though, I started frequenting the backroom of Babylon and the Baths more than usual."

"I take part of the blame for the way you acted, though I'm happy you met Justin."

"Can we not talk about him? Have a little respect, Steele."

"But he's the reason why we're having this conversation. I want to help you get back together."

"If you must know, I started sending him flowers. I hope he will figure out it's me, but it's so unlike me that he won't guess."

Evan took a few bites of his food, chewing slowly, arranging his thoughts.

"When I saw you at the gallery, at his show…" He said quietly.

"Oh, yeah. Let's not think of how you bothered him, but when you saw me, you completely forgot about him and remembered about little ol' me." Brian glared.

"That's what I wanted to say. You can't accuse me for trying to get in his pants. Your hellcat is one hot piece of ass."

Brian gripped his knife, narrowing his eyes at Evan. "Say one more thing like that, and I will stab you right here, right now!"

"But then I saw you again. I had no idea how much I've missed you until then. All the lust I'd ever felt toward you, was back with a vengeance. I had to have you again," Evan admitted.

"Even when you saw how happy Justin and I were? You fucking saw us for a whole fucking week, Evan! I planned to branch out only to be with him here. I knew I couldn't do the long distance relationship. We've always been more physical. Not seeing him, not touching him, not knowing he was well, would have driven me up the wall."

Evan felt another stab of guilt at Brian's words. "I was an idiot to keep insisting, to push you into something it was clear you desired, but tried resisting because you'd promised loyalty to Justin. I guess I knew your weak spots and used it to my advantage."

"We're both equally guilty, Evan. I know I could have stopped you, but I chose not to. You're right, I was curious and everything you did and said reminded me of our trip back then, of our time together all those years ago."

"I never had what you and Justin had, but I know love when I see it. If you two don't manage to work it out somehow, I will always hate myself for what I've done." Evan reached across the table to cover Brian's hand, but he jerked it away. "I really care for you, Brian. I only want us to be friends, if you'd have me."

"If, and that's a big IF, Justin ever forgives me, it's up to him if you're still welcome in my life. Knowing him, he'd say yes because we're business partners and my job is important."

"I'd accept anything you decide. And if you kick me to the curb, I'll understand."

Brian nodded slowly. They ate in silence for several minutes, before Brian caught Evan's eye.

"Can I ask something?"

"Anything."

"Besides having one last hooray fuck with me, why did you try so hard to pursue me?"

Evan contemplated his answer for a second, before going with the truth. "I'm not the young stud I once was. Your Justin's blatant refusals were a big blow to my ego, and when you didn't seem interested as well, even though I knew you once were more than interested, it made me want to try harder."

"You're crazy, you know that?" Brian snorted in his napkin.

"I'm nearing fifty, Brian. I doubt I'll find someone at this age, but when the regular tricks turn you down in clubs, even old acquaintances, it's time to question your hotness."

"You can always pay for it," Brian suggested with a smirk.

"Just wait until you're my age and you have to work ten times harder to maintain your looks."

"Hopefully, I'll have Justin's forgiveness by then. He will never care how I look when I'm fifty, and if I ever doubt myself, he'll know a way to bring me up."

"And that my friend, is love."

"I know," Brian whispered, staring into his plate, unseeing. "You have no idea how much I want this plan to work. Justin always liked romantic stuff."

"What can I say besides good luck? Let me know how it works."

Brian nodded, picking at his food. He cleared his throat. "Evan?" He looked up into Evan's gray eyes. "Thank you...for sharing this with me."

"I figured it was time I came clean."

"I understand that you're sorry for what happened in Miami, but no one is sorrier than me. Though, no words or romantic gestures will ever erase the memory of what I've done. I know that a part of Justin will never forgive me, even if he decides to return to me."

Chapter End Notes:

Thoughts?