- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 – GUS ASKS A QUESTION

 

DAY 27 – EARLY MORNING

 

GARDEN

 

GUS

 

I just love it here!  Daddy said there’s a surprise coming today. I hope it's not Unca Mikey as I’ve liked it that he’s not here. He always seems to be cross when he can’t see daddy. I can’t see daddy all the time and I don’t get as cross as he does!  

 

“Gus!  Can you come here for a minute?” I grab Leather Bear and go to find Mr Justin on the other side of the garden.

 

When I get there he and daddy are smiley and there is a bike, well I think it’s a bike, there's a big box in the middle, it’s got cushions and a basket in there too, then there's another bike behind.

 

“Mr Justin what's that?”

 

“It’s a double bike with a nice place for a good little boy to sit in, so we can take him to the mainland where we’re going to have a picnic before going to the petting zoo.”

 

“Petting zoo?”  I look at him then daddy.  “Really?!”

 

Daddy nods and he’s smiling. Momma is coming with my jacket and hat.  “Now?  Daddy, we’re going now?”

 

“Yes, now Gus. But first, you have to climb in very carefully and put the safety belt on. Don't take it off until we say so, okay?” Daddy has his serious voice turned on and I nod. Once I’m in, momma puts my hat on and then we’re off.

 

BRIAN

 

I have to concentrate but it's a bit difficult with Justin standing to pedal and then leaning over the handlebars. When he looks over his shoulder and winks, I vow to make him pay!  

 

“More pedalling and less showing off!” I call out and he beams at me.

 

When we got to the mainland, Franca had arranged for transportation to the forest as it was just too dangerous to navigate the bike.  

 

GRAN ETANG TROPICAL FOREST

 

When we get to the picnic area, there’s a mix of families and it takes Gus a while to notice the group at the next table.

 

“Daddy? That man over there looks like Mr Joseph.” He stage whispers badly to me.

 

“That’s because it is me, Gus!” Joseph calls back.

 

“Mr Joseph!  Daddy, can I go please?”

 

“Yes you can. Mr Justin and I will be right here.”  

 

When he gets to their table, there's Maceo and Shaba and some of the other friends from the boat too. “Daddy!” He gasps.  

 

“We thought you might be getting a little lonely so enjoy your day Sonny Boy! And be a good boy, okay? Oh do you want us to take Leather Bear back with us and put him in your room?”

 

He rushes back and hands me Leather Bear. “Daddy, I’m so happy my cheeks hurt from smiling.”

 

“Mine too Sonny Boy, mine too.  Now off you go.”  I ruffle his hair and Justin gives him a hug.  

 

Gus keep looking back as he walks up the path until I can't see him anymore. And I wish for nothing more in this moment than that he and his Mr Justin could smile bright like that always.

 

JUSTIN

 

We watch Gus disappear up the path and chuckle at the fact he kept looking back.  The Gran Etang Tropical Forest is cool, thank goodness. Gus is going to the Spice Island Petting Zoo and I see a lot of stories when he comes back.

 

“Okay, let’s find our picnic spot.”  Brian tugs my hand. We walk into the forest before we actually come out near the lake and I gasp. It is utterly breathtaking.

 

“Wow, just wow!”  I breathe.  “Do you think it’s warm enough to swim in?”

 

“I should think so but I’m not skinny dipping in there!”

 

“Okay, no skinny dipping but can we at least swim?”  I beg and bat my eyes at him.  “Please.”

 

“Fine, but not together someone needs to guard the basket. So if…”  I take off. “You want to go first while I set up then you carry on!”  He shouts after me.

 

Twenty minutes later, I’m refreshed and when I come back to him, he’s sunbathing. I shake my hair over him.

 

“Hey!  I don’t want white dots!  I like a nice even tan, thank you!”  He grumbles, lifting the hat up.  “How was it?”

 

“Oh so nice!  So what we got for eats?”

 

“Not sure, Franc and Emmy just gave it to me; I haven’t checked. So have at it, I’m going for a paddle.”

 

I watch him saunter to the shoreline and marvel at how good he looks. I still can’t believe he let me make love to him first. I wonder if he’s still thinking about yesterday right now too...

 

Start of flashback

TWO HOUR AFTER THE SHOWER

 

BRIAN

 

After we had a shower and changed the sheets, we had a nap. I woke up before him and gently rolled him on his back. Although he snuffled, he soon settled back to sleep. I got up and thought about what had happened in the morning.  The corkscrewing thing he did was heavenly. I haven’t bottomed in years and it felt…wonderful.  I hear him padding towards me on the balcony and turn around.

 

“Come here you.”  I open my arms and he slides onto my lap and we kiss deeply.  “Thank you. This morning was fantastic.”

 

“I wasn’t sure if I…”

 

“I never do anything I don’t want to do.  Always remember that.”

 

“I will.  You’re really hot and tight.”  He whispers in my ear.

 

“I am?”  I whisper back.

 

“Yeah most tops are.”  He sucks on my earlobe and I look carefully at him. “Yep, I’m a top.  But I do bottom for the right guy and only the right guy.”

 

“Oh.”  I catch my breath as he wiggles his ass into my crotch and we kiss again. Then I remember how he was with me.  “Justin, can I…”

 

“Yes, please yes.”  He moans and I carry him back to bed.

End of flashback

 

JUSTIN

 

I watch him walk back and then he settles behind me.  “You realise we’re almost totally alone here?”

 

“Hmm.”  He murmurs, nuzzling behind my ear.  “We are indeed and I do believe some payback is called for.”

 

“Payback?  What for?”  I watch mesmerised as his hand slides into my shorts.  “Brian!”

 

“You waved your ass at me in the most teasing manner this morning.  I think I should show you how that made me feel.”

 

“Bri…an!”  I manage to stutter out as his hand closes around my cock and he starts to slowly stroke.  “There are people coming!”  I protest weakly and start to squirm.

 

“So you’ll just have to keep very quiet, won’t you?”  He starts to stroke faster.   “I can’t stop now I have a rhythm.”

 

“Oh please don’t!”  I manage to gasp out and move forward a bit so I can reach back.

 

“Let me.”  He groans and seconds later, I feel him twitching hotly in my hand.  “Oh Christ!  Oh so good, how close?”  He whispers in my ear.

 

“Close, so close!”  I gasp back, struggling to keep my hips still.

 

“Sssh.  Sssh.”  He croons in my ear and slows his stroking, but lazily flicks my slit. “Better?”

 

“I’m gonna!  Oh!  I-I please stop just gi-give me a…oh!”  I couldn’t hold off any longer and explode in his hand and then I feel him shudder behind me.

 

“Oh Jesus!”  He growls and tightens his arm around my waist.  “Swim?”  He croaks and all I can do is nod.

 

PITTSBURGH

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been calling Brian for the last three days and still no response.  Locking me out of the loft is a step too far. Well I’m not taking this shit anymore. I got him on this cruise, well I can get him off it!

 

VANGUARD – TWO HOURS LATER

 

RECEPTION

 

CAROLINE

 

Where the hell do I know that guy from? He’s familiar but I can’t think where from! I lean against the wall so that he can’t see me. I feel for Miranda, the poor receptionist dealing with him.

 

“I have some news that Mr Gardner will find interesting about Seabird.  He will want to see me.”  He insists.

 

“Mr Vance is currently out of the…”

 

“Hi Miranda. I can handle this for Mr Vance.”  I step forward and smile.

 

“And you are?”  He demands.

 

“His PA. Let’s take this to my office.”  Miranda looks so relieved.

 

OFFICE

 

“Have a seat Mr…”

 

“Gold, Ethan Gold.”  He sits down and smiles.  “I have heard that Kinnetic has poached Seabird Enterprises from you.”

 

“And how is that?”  I sit back and wait for him to explain.

 

“I’m not sure but I know that he has signed them during a cruise that he won that VanGuard sponsored.”

 

“Well thank you very much for that information. That’s most interesting Mr Gold, was it?”  He nods. “I shall make sure that this is passed to Mr Vance. It would seem that Mr Kinney entered the competition with the intention of poaching clients. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.”

 

“You’re welcome.” He smiles and then walks out and then it hits me. The walk!  I recognise the walk. He’s always walked like he’s crapped his pants!

 

Yeah, I know who this guy is!  Now if I could just remember his name!  But I know it is not Gold!

 

SEABIRD ISLAND – LATE EVENING

 

BACK GARDEN

 

MEL

 

Poor Gus!  He wanted to tell Brian and Justin about his day.  But he lasted two bites into his sandwich and almost face planted into the plate, he is so tired.

 

“Oh that’s it, he’s done!”  Debs laughs and Carl scoops him up.  “Yeah no book is required tonight!”

 

Thirty minutes later, they are back.  “So what happens now?  This is our last full day here.”  I sigh, rubbing Bumpy.  “Wow!  Is it me or has Bumpy gotten bigger?”  I stare at my stomach.

 

“Yep and that’s not the only thing…or should I say things!”  Emmy laughs.  “Not that I see Miss Leda complaining!”

 

“Ah the wanderers return!”  Ben calls out and I turn to see Brian and Justin coming back from their walk.

 

“Where’s Gus?”  Brian look around.

 

“Bed.  He really tried but lasted two bites.  Carl took him up.”

 

“Oh. Okay.”  Brian replies and they both look so disappointed.

 

“How about I do a nice big breakfast for tomorrow morning for us all?”  Franc suggests.

 

“Asshole!”  Cynthia snarls, glaring at her phone.

 

“Or not.”  Franc snorts.  “What’s wrong?”

 

“Got a text from Vance’s PA. Ethan Gold came to see him to tell him about Seabird being poached by Kinnetic!  But…”

 

“We didn’t poach!  We were approached!”  Brian objects.

 

“And we will write a sworn affidavit to that effect.”  Rupert is already reaching for his phone.

 

“He’s in California.”  Franc huffs an angry breath.  “Seems my brother can’t stay away from his pet.

 

“It was Michael. Brian, Michael went to see Vance.  Caroline remembered his voice and his walks-like-he’s-crapped-his-pants stomp.  But she couldn’t remember his name. She sent me this.”  She hands him her phone and he watches it in silence before handing it to Ted to watch.

 

“Why is he doing this?”  Brian sighs.

 

“Because he wants you.”  Rodney replies and everyone turns to look at him.  “I’ve been giving this some thought, bear with me.  Normally, when you trick, it’s with guys with dark hair and dark eyes, right?  Maybe he thinks you are trying to fuck him out of your system?  Can I see that, please?  I have another hunch.”

 

He watches it quietly and then nods. “He says you won. You say you never entered the competition for this, correct?”  Brian nods. “Well supposing you didn’t but Michael did? From what I’ve heard, he has access to pretty much all aspects of your life. Supposing he rigged the competition to get you alone but then you put the kibosh on it by bringing everyone else?”

 

“Oooh ick. Just no!”  Brian cringes. That at least makes people laugh, albeit briefly.  “But by going to VanGuard, this could cause a problem.” Brian starts to get annoyed but Justin taking his hand seems to calm him down a bit.

 

“Why? You’ve been out of that place for years.” Debs asks.

 

“I’ve never gone after any of his clients deliberately and…”

 

“Thank you very much! I know I was pissed with you then but I still did my job properly.”  I grouse.

 

“Pardon?”  He frowns at me and I smile at him while Ted snickers.

 

“I looked over your contract, remember? Just after they fired you, I went over that damn thing with a fine-tooth comb and nowhere did it have a non-competition clause. So he can shout and stomp as much as he wants, you’ve got nothing to worry about... well except for Michael.”

 

The looks of relief ripple around the table.

 

“Okay who’s for canasta?”  Carl asks.  “I want to at least try and win some of my money back!”

 

DAY 28 – EARLY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

FRANC

 

I absolutely love cooking on my downtime, as I have free reign. I’m trying to figure out what to make for the big breakfast when there is a knock at the door and Leather Bear pokes his head in.

 

“Morning Leather Bear, morning Gus.”

 

“Morning Miss Franc. Momma said you’re making a big breakfast today. Can I help?”  I smile and nod.  “What are we doing?”

 

“Yes, what are we doing Franc?”  Emmy sweeps in bestowing kisses on both of us.

 

“Well…”  I laugh.  “I’m hoping to use the cherries for something, if there are any left Gus.”

 

He looks at me as innocently as he can with cheeks like a squirrel hoarding nuts.

 

“Crepe machine? You have a crepe machine?!”  Emmy glowers at me and then smiles.  “Now Gus, come stand here. You must leave those strawberries alone too, young sir.  You need to carefully carry those back to the table over there okay?”  He hands him a box of eggs and smiles.

 

Ten minutes later, he’s carefully cracked each egg in the bowl and is watching Emmy pour in the milk. It’s when he rolls up his sleeves with his tongue between his teeth that I realise how much I’m going to miss the little guy.

 

TERRACE – ONE HOUR LATER

 

EMMY

 

I still can’t believe we are going back to Pittsburgh in four days. We’re all a little subdued... well apart from Debs and Vic. They, at least, will get to see Carl and Rodney.  But Gus is chattering away and lightening the mood.

 

The spread that Franc and I have whipped up almost didn’t make it to the table.  If we weren’t shooing out Debs for trying to help, we were shooing out Brian who seems to have a big fondness for cherries. In the end, we had to call in Ben to make sure he stayed out of the kitchen.

 

We ate the fruit first. She’s done this marvellous fruit salad with strawberries, cherries, blueberries and dragon fruit. Well I’m going to assume it was marvellous as Brian insisted that everyone help themselves but the bowl never left his side after that. Between him and Justin, they ate the remains and had the nerve to look at us as if butter wouldn’t melt.

 

“Oh God take that away!”  Brian groans as he tastes the ricotta.  “Where did you get that?”

 

“Made it.”  Franc replies going back to the kitchen.

 

“You made this?”  I echo when she comes back.  “How?”

 

“Acid, like a vinegar or lemon, and milk, in a muslin cloth over a bowl overnight in the fridge, let it drain, add your herbs of choice and there you have it.”

 

“No, please move it away from me or it goes the same way as the salad.”  Brian orders and Ted swiftly obliges, much to chagrin of Justin.

 

“Do you remember the jerk chicken butter?” Veri smiles proudly at the retreating back of Franc and Rupert nods. “It was about a pound and a half of this thing and we were like what, nobody is going to eat that. It lasted about ooh 10 minutes, there were 15 people she never got to taste it!  Ooh she was pissed, especially when she found out that Rupert had stashed some away. So good with scrambled eggs and ham.”

 

“Franc, come on and sit down!”  Rupert shouts out.

 

“One more thing and we can start!”  She calls out.

 

She comes back out with a platter of fried fish. “Gus, this fish has a lot of bones, so I’ve made you some salmon, okay?”  But he looks so disappointed as the fish looks excellent, not a drop of grease, that she relents.  “Are you sure you want to try this?”

 

“Yes please, please.”

 

“Okay, let’s see what I can do here.”  She smiles at him and picks up a fish and expertly fillets it off the bone and then hands the plate to Brian. “Can you check for bones?”

 

Five minutes later, Gus is happily eating his fish.  “Miss Franc, this is so nice!  What is it called?”

 

“Jacks.  Do you want another one?”

 

“I’ll do it. You’ve done enough.”  Debs orders.

 

We’ve finished the most wonderful breakfast, everyone lost in their own thoughts.

 

“Miss Leda?”  Gus looks at her with such a sad expression.

 

“Yes Gus.”

 

“Are you going to miss me and Momma when we go back home?”

 

“Oh very much. But…”

 

A tear drops onto his plate. “C-can’t you come with us? You make momma so happy.”

 

“And she makes me happy.  And we need…”

 

“I promise I will be good all the time.”  He sniffles.

 

“Gus.  Can I talk for a minute?”  Leda asks and he nods.  “Do you know where I live?”

 

“On the ship.”

 

“No, not all the time. I live on land for half the year and guess where that is?”  Leda and Mel are grinning at each other.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Pittsburgh.”

 

“We live in…you’ll be able to come and see us!”  Gus cries, flinging his arms around her neck.

 

“That’s the idea!  You’d like that, right?  Gus…need to breathe!”

 

“Oh yes, I’d love that!”  Gus loosens his hold and she takes in some much needed air.  “Momma would love that too, wouldn’t you momma?”

 

“Yes I would very much.”

 

“So what do I call you when you’re in Pittsburgh?”

 

“How about Auntie Leda?  Would that be okay?”

 

“Oh, I was hoping to call you Momma Leda.”

 

Tears immediately spring into her eyes and she looks at Mel, who nods.  “Okay, you can call me that instead.”

 

“Yay!”  Gus wriggles in his seat.

 

“So Pittsburgh, Leda?  That’s nice.”  I sigh and try not to look at Ben.

 

“They are all based in Pittsburgh, well apart from Franc, who is based in New York.”  Rupert takes a measured sip of his drink. “That was another of Franc’s great ideas. If only Ray had half her work ethic. Put staff who are close city wise together so when they are on their shore leave, they at least have some people around them.”

 

“Shore leave?”  I look around the table and they are smiling, especially Ben.

 

“Yeah, it starts about a week after you get back to Pittsburgh. For six months.” Ben explains.

 

“You’re going to be in Pittsburgh for six months?” I echo and he nods. “You mean I have been preparing this tearful goodbye to rival Lana Turner for nothing?! You go upstairs and wait!  And you Franc... you and I are going to talk about being in my catering business for the duration of your shore leave, none of this New York rubbish.  Now excuse me, I need to teach someone a little lesson!”

 

I run from the table to sounds of laughter.

 

GUS

 

“Mr Justin?”

 

“Yes Gus.”

 

“Are you going to see daddy and me?”

 

“Yes.  Definitely.  And you’re going to see Rhubarb and Custard as well.”

 

“Daddy, my cheeks are hurting again!”  I tell him and he laughs.

 

“Mine too.”

 

“Mr Justin, can I call you Papa Justin in Pittsburgh?”

 

“Yes, I would love it if you called me that.”  Mr Justin gives a big smile.

 

“And daddy…”  I continue.  “Please don’t send me outside when you and Mr Justin are doing big-big kisses in Pittsburgh. It’s not as warm as here!”

 

 

“Okay Gus, we won’t.”  And Daddy smiles the biggest smile I’ve ever seen. I like it!

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.