- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24 – THE STORY OF LINDSAY AND THE STUPIDITY OF MICHAEL


 


MASTER BEDROOM – AN HOUR LATER


 


BRIAN


 


I open my eyes and Justin smiles down at me. “You’re awake then?” He has a slightly smug expression on his face. “How do you feel?” I frown and sit up.  “I got you some water.”


 


I take a sip and look at him again. “Spill it.”


 


“You fainted!” He wiggles as he crows. “It took some considerable effort on my part to get you off me after you got off!”


 


“Ah I see.” I roll my eyes and swat his leg. “You going to let me live this down at all?”


 


“Nope!” He leans across and kisses my cheek. “I’m not. Are you going to see Ruby later? If so, can I come with you?”


 


“Yes and yes definitely! Leda is going to call me when Mel’s awake.” He beams at me. “You called me your man earlier... I liked that!”


 


“You screamed that you loved me at the top of your voice. I liked that!” He giggles and then snuggles down under the blanket before I spoon behind him and we fall asleep.


 


ALLEGHANY MATERNITY WARD – THREE HOURS LATER


 


MEL


 


I still can’t believe Ruby has arrived. It hurt like hell when she decided to make her entrance into the world but within 10 minutes of getting in the room, three pushes and she was out.  Brian was a blubbering mass when he held her tiny fingers according to the nurse.


 


Leda is still asleep. Brian has texted me to say that he and Justin will be here in the evening.


 


I look up as the door knocks and the doctor comes in. “How you feeling Mel?”


 


“A little shocked but fine. How is she?”


 


“She’s doing great.  Hope to take her off the ventilator in a…”


 


“Ventilator?” I squeak, which wakes Leda up. “She was breathing fine earlier.”


 


“Yes and there is no need to panic. She’s doing fine but because of her tiny lungs, she needs a bit of help but that is perfectly normal because she’s premature.”


 


“Oh thank goodness.” I release the hold on Leda’s hand and the doctor tries not to smile at her shaking out the pain. “So what’s the plan now?”


 


“Well if she continues to progress the way she is, you can take her home early next week.”


 


I almost burst into tears, I’m so relieved.


 


“Now what I want you to do is get some sleep, both of you.”  He looks at Leda. “If anybody is thinking of coming to see you, I would advise them to come tomorrow.”


 


I look at Leda and after a sweet kiss, she tells me that she will let the guys know. I am asleep in minutes.


 


BRITIN – TWENTY MINUTES LATER


 


BRIAN


 


We are a little disappointed that we can’t go and see Mel and Ruby.  But we understand that they need to rest. When Leda called I was still asleep and Justin answered so he’s going to pick Leda up so she can stay here and we go to see them tomorrow.


 


DEBS’ HOUSE – EARLY EVENING


 


DEBS


 


Gus is settled down for the night and I can’t quite believe that Mel had the baby. I have texted Carl and he’s on his way. He says he’s got something to tell me about Lindsay.  I know that she spent a night in the cell after she got mouthy.


 


My phone goes to say he’s just outside and I open the door for him. The first thing I do is hand him my phone. He just gapes at the picture. “Are you kidding me?” He grins at me.  “What’s her name?”


 


I blink and realise that I don’t know. But then I remember what Franc said and decide to ask Carl what he thinks. When I finish telling him what happened, he frowns.


 


“Debs, how would you feel if you were Justin? Really think about it? He’s been nothing but there for Brian, Gus and Mel. Taking out their actual relationship, for you guys to bulldoze him out of the way was mean.”


 


“I did apologise.” I point out. “But I do see how that was hurtful. After all they’ve been through and for her to come early and be fine, it’s just…”  I can’t help it, I break down. Carl immediately takes me into his arms and I let out the anger and hurt that I’ve been holding onto for so long.


When I get myself together, he just hands me a handkerchief and I send Brian another apology text. He sends one back to me, reassuring me that Justin is fine.


 


My good mood evaporates when Michael sends me a text to say that he needs to see me tomorrow urgently.


 


“Any idea what that’s about?” Carl asks, pouring some more wine and I shake my head.


 


“And I can wait to find out tomorrow. Now tell me about Lindsay...”


 


He breaks into a smile. “Well she didn’t like the accommodation at all and made that clear to the judge. He, in turn, made it clear to her that he didn’t like her unseemly attitude. So she has to reappear in front of a judge in about three weeks’ time! Wherever she was thinking of going is not going to happen!”


 


“Oh that is priceless! Could she go to prison for real?” I cackle.


 


“Oh yes! She committed a misdemeanour and has been ordered to report to the police station every Friday until her court case and it gets better...” I stare at him, wiping my away my tears of laughter. “He has also advised that Ms Charles-Prince be advised to seek legal reparation for defamation of character!” I now can’t breathe, I am laughing so hard. “I can’t wait to tell her!”


 


“Okay, I’m going to have a bath. You have an hour of sports.” I kiss the top of his head and go up, still chuckling!


 


BRITIN – SATURDAY MORNING


 


KITCHEN


 


JUSTIN


 


I’ve wrapped my legs around his waist and he’s placed me on the counter. His tongue is doing wonderful things inside my mouth. I mean seriously... where did he learn to do that?  We don’t even clash teeth! He seems to be as fixated with my top lip as I am with his bottom one.


 


“Absolutely not! You are not fucking in the kitchen!” Leda giggles and Brian reluctantly lowers my tee back down. “And remove ass from counter; I have to get to the coffee machine!”


 


Rhubarb comes in and yowls mournfully. “What’s up with him?” She asks.


 


“No Gus.” Brian laughs, shaking his head as he puts me on the floor. “Rhubie, he’ll be back later so stop sulking!” He walks past him and Rhubie looks pitifully at his retreating back.


 


“Since when did he start calling him Rhubie?”  Leda smirks as I pick my jaw off the floor and then pick Rhubie up. He flops his head on my shoulder and sighs.


 


“No idea.” I reply, unable to keep the grin off my face and then I realise something. Neither Rhubie nor Custard have hissed since we’ve stayed here. They have just slotted in perfectly, especially Custard. I leave Leda to her coffee making and head to the study.


 


“Is he still pouting?” Brian looks up from some papers and laughs as I nod. “Okay, one second...” He picks up his phone and sighs. “I can’t believe I am doing this! Hey Debs, is Gus awake? Hey Sonny Boy, how are you? You’re being a good boy right? Someone needs to hear your voice…one minute, okay you’re on speaker…”


 


“Hello?” Gus’s sweet little voice comes over.


 


Rhubie immediately chirrups and drops onto the desk where Brian’s phone is and he stares at it curiously.


 


“Morning Gus, did you sleep well at grandma’s?” I ask.


 


“Yes, Papa Justin! Are you going to see Momma and my little sister today? You won’t go without me, will you?”


 


“Yes we are and no we won’t. But someone is missing you very much.” Brian grins and ruffles Rhubie’s ears.


 


“Rhubarb? Rhubarb, are you there? Have you been a good boy for daddy and Papa Justin?”


 


Rhubarb chirrups again and he actually looks happier. “I will be back this evening and I have so much to tell you. Leather Bear and I have missed you too. Daddy, when are you coming to pick me up?”


 


“In about three hours and…”


 


“One hundred and eighty all the way around ticks. Is that right daddy?”


 


“Yes Gus, that’s brilliant! Well done! That’s absolutely correct.” Brian looks so proud and I have a little lump in my throat. “It will be three of us since Momma Leda is coming too.”


 


“Great! Grandma is making us pancakes so I need to go and eat. So see you very soon, love you both very much and you too, Rhubarb and Custard!”


 


“Bye Sonny Boy. We love you too!” Dad laughs and Rhubarb hops happily off the desk and goes to join Custard on the sofa.


 


RED CAPE COMICS – THREE HOURS LATER


 


MICHAEL


 


I stomp downstairs to find myself with a full shop and Nathan holding court telling them about his new idea called Saturday Club! He has a friend that draws cartoons and can help those who want to be able to do their own. He clearly doesn’t have the business head that Ted thought. I wait for the shop to clear.


 


“So we have about 20 people coming next weekend for our first club!” He smiles and I glare at him.


 


“And where are we going to put all those people?” I sneer.


 


“What do you mean? What’s wrong with upstairs? We’re not using it.”


 


“There is no we in this store. I own it and you work…”


 


With you. As joint manager and you don’t own the store; Kinnetic does. Ted has explained my role and Kinnetic’s role in it. Didn’t you ever wonder how you were able to afford to pay me and run this store at a loss?” He retorts and goes to the office before coming back out again. “Have you changed the password to the spreadsheet again?”


 


“You don’t need to see the spreadsheet.” I snipe. “Only the manager needs to see it and…”


 


“Fine. I’ll just call the IT department and they can get it open for me.” He replies and heads to the office, closing the door in my face.


 


“We don’t have an IT department!” I yell as I wrench the door open. But he’s on the phone and I roll my eyes at his attempt at bravado. He’s nodding and tapping away on the screen and much to my annoyance and surprise, the spreadsheet opens.


 


“Thanks guys. Now is there any way that you can block the password being changed without me knowing? Great! Can you do that for me please? Seems that my joint manager needs to understand the concept of sharing.”


 


He starts to work on the spreadsheet. “What are you doing and who did you fucking call to override my system?!”


 


“I am adding in the Saturday Club details and emailing Ted about them. And like I said, I called IT.”


 


“Like I said, we don’t have an IT department. So what the fuck have you done?!”


 


“We don’t have an IT department as in Red Cape but Kinnetic does and we have access to them. Now excuse me, I have things to do.”


 


My jaw hits the floor and I’m about to give him another piece of my mind when Ma finally shows up!


 


“Excuse me, I’m going to speak to my mother. You and I will…”  I wave my arms around the office. “Speak about this later.”


 


“Ooh, can’t wait!” He growls. As soon as I’m out of the office, he shuts the door behind me catching my heel and I almost trip over.


 


“Ma, let’s go upstairs so we talk away from prying ears!” I say loud enough for him to hear.


 


“Michael, what is going on?” Finally, there’s a degree of worry in her voice. I string it out and lead her upstairs. Once I close the door, I tell her what has happened.


 


“I don’t understand the problem. You still have your shop, right?”


 


“Yes, but he’s been made joint manager!” I cross my arms and stare at her but she just looks at me blankly and then shrugs. “I don’t need someone else making decisions that I’ve been making for years!”


 


“What do you want me to do, Michael?” She sighs, looking at her watch. “I really do need to go very soon.”


 


“What’s so important that takes precedence over your son?”


 


“Mel had the baby and I want to see my granddaughter.”


 


“That’s a bit early isn’t it?” I try to work out how many months she was and Ma glares at me.


 


“So was that it? That’s what you wanted to bitch about?”


 


“Wanted to bitch about…?” I look incredulously at her. “No that’s not it. I want to buy my store from Kinnetic and I want you to help me to do so!”


 


Ma just stares at me.


 


ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL


 


MEL’S ROOM


 


BRIAN


 


We couldn’t believe it when we got the baby unit and Ruby wasn’t there. Slightly panicked we head straight to Mel’s room. We immediately stop the doctor.  But there is no need to worry, due to the combination of mine and Mel’s genetics she’s breathing by herself with no issues! Yes, she’s 2 months early but she’s a determined little baby!


 


When we get in, Mel is smiling harder than I have ever seen her smile. “If she keeps going like this, we can take Ruby home on Tuesday.”


 


“That’s her name Momma?” Gus asks from the door.


 


“Yes Gus, that’s her name.” Mel smiles and Gus starts to approach.


 


“It’s pretty. Can I see her now?” He asks.


 


“Gus. Please can you let Justin see her first as he’s not seen her?” I ask him gently and the teary look on Justin’s face melts my heart.


 


“Yes daddy. He’s going to be her Papa Justin too! Come on Papa Justin. She so little, you’ve got to be extra very gentle. And super dooper quiet. Momma, can you close your eyes?”


 


I don’t understand why he’s asked that. But I watch my Sonny Boy take Justin’s hand and leads him to the side of the bed but then stops and rejoins us by the door.


 


“So you can see her without anyone watching. It’s so special to see her the first time.” He says quietly, clutching Leather Bear and grinning from ear to ear. “That’s right, isn’t it daddy?”


 


I can’t speak because I’m in floods of tears.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks.