- Text Size +

CHAPTER 29 - DATE DAY, FIGHT NIGHT AND BEING SILLY

 

BRIAN

 

“Oh fuck.” I groan and clutch onto the bannister. “Holy shit!”

 

“You okay?” He sticks his head out of the bathroom.  “Brian did you just...?”

 

“Yeah I did just.” I swallow hard and walk back to him. “That was very nice indeed.”

 

“Really, you just came from that?”  He looks ridiculously pleased with himself.

 

“Don’t get cocky.” We both giggle. “A combination of you coming and what you said you’d do was just so hot.”

 

“And I meant it.” He scrunches up his nose. “Now go get the champagne and I can put them in the wash if you want?”

 

“Have you actually started to set the bath yet?” He shakes his head. “Fancy a nap?” He nods and leads us back to bed.

 

Three hours later, I’m stroking his back and he’s pushing against my fingers. We decided to stay here overnight. Debs is in Britin looking after Gus as she wanted to escape from the persistent calls and coming around of Michael!

 

“Huh-uh! Ha! Oh!” He’s trying to get purchase on the sides of the bath but his hands are slippery. So I kneel up and pull him back against my chest. “Now, come now.” I whisper and he shudders against me and I spurt over his back and delicious ass.

 

“We need to have a shower.” He mumbles. I look across and then realise what the red carpet from the bath to the shower is for. “Saves mopping up.” He breathes into my ear. “Carry me; it’s your fault my legs are like jello.”

 

“Hmmm. You sure it’s not an excuse to nibble my neck?”

 

“No.”

 

“What you’re not even going to try?” I pout and he grinds against me while I adjust the water and suck on his neck. “That okay?” He reaches back to test the water and starts to nibble my neck.  “That a yes?”

 

“Excuse me, nibbling here.” He mutters.

 

RED CAPE - FRIDAY MORNING

 

NATHAN

 

I just stare at the buffoon and watch him stomp around the space moving stuff to where he thinks it should be. When he’s done playing I’m-a-brat, I will simply move it back and then lock up the room so he can’t do anything to sabotage tomorrow. It’s our first club day.

 

“Now leave it where I have put them!”  He snaps before storming out of the store.

 

I couldn’t believe it when I came back and found that he had locked up on Wednesday afternoon and he wasn’t in yesterday.  Although it wasn’t all bad. At least, I didn’t have him glaring at me from the office. Apart from the club thing that has annoyed him, he’s also pissed that he hasn’t been able to get ahold of Brian.  

 

In fact, nobody has seen the Stud of Liberty Avenue for a long time. I mean, he’s been seen in the office at Babylon but he doesn’t stay long. Rumour has it that he’s been caught by the love bug.

 

While part of me hopes that’s not true...who wouldn’t want a shot with the Stud...another part of me wishes him the best. And anything that puts the Novotny Gnat in a snit is good with me!

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL

 

OFFICER MARKUS DEACON’S ROOM

 

MARKUS

 

I must be either dead or hallucinating because I swear I can smell wings, specifically cherry pop wings. I open my eyes and I see a pair of feet, with purple socks resting on my bed.

 

“Excuse me but can you take your feet off my bed?”

 

The feet aren’t removed from the bed but they are moved so I can see who they belong to.

 

“First, you get yourself shot to get out of a date. Something wrong with saying you had a headache? Then, I make wings and come over here in my new boots...which hurt by the way, hence feet on bed...and you are churlish. Some people!”

 

“Franc with a C.” I smile and try to sit up; she gets up to help. “Oh thanks. You got to admit that it’s a pretty good reason.”

 

“Compelling enough, I guess.” She grins back and puts a hamper on the bed. “So the dumbest question has to be asked. How you feeling?”

 

“Not too bad.” I sniff appreciatively. “What you got there?”

 

“Restorative stuff! Beef pho, which you will eat later but also wings, cherry pop wings with hot sauce, which you will eat now. But you have to be sneaky and quick.”

 

“I can do sneaky and quick!” I reach for a wing, while she keeps an eye on the door. “Oh, this is heaven. You not joining me?” I virtually inhale two at once.

 

“I’m good, you carry on. I can eat later. Make sure you eat your vegetables too.”

 

She watches me eat with a smirk on her face until I can’t bear it any more. “What?”

 

“So is it anywhere that I was thinking about apply some pressure to?”

 

I smirk back at her. “No major organs or sensitive areas were injured in the ingress or egress of the bullet.”

 

“Good to know.” She looks at her watch. “Same time Saturday? Have some business to sort out tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah. And for abandoning me, you have bring those popping candy truffles for pudding. Go on, you know you want to and besides I’m...mmmm!”

 

“Talking far too much. And the sauce needs more salt.” She smiles and licks her lips. “It’s a date. Try not to get shot again. Once is unfortunate, twice makes a girl paranoid.”

 

VANGUARD ADVERTISING

 

CAROLINE

 

Hmm, well here’s an interesting conundrum. I know we have been terminated by Seabird, which if truth be told, Vance was pleased about. So why is Raymond Charles-Prince here?

 

“This way Mr Charles-Prince. Would you like a coffee?”

 

“No.”

 

Jeez dude you’re a millionaire. Go buy yourself some manners!

 

Vance comes in and looks at his guest in surprise. “Raymond, what are you doing here? I thought our business association is at an end.”

 

“My father may have terminated your services but I think we could still do business, especially when it comes to Kinnetic.”

 

“Really, come in.” He waves him through and closes the door before opening it again to click his fingers for coffee.  

 

“Of course, Mr Vance.” I head to the machine and send a friend a text.

 

VANCE’S OFFICE

 

VANCE

 

I regard Raymond Charles-Prince with amusement and wait for him to speak. He’s the worst kind of rich kid. Doesn’t want to work but wants everything handed to him.

 

“So what exactly is it you can give me?”

 

“Everything I know about Kinnetic and Seabird Enterprises, especially their European line, it’s…”

 

“Why?”

 

“The market there is strictly straight and it is a separate entity to the Caribbean route, which clearly Kinnetic doesn’t know but I don’t want you to do the advertising. I want you and I to go into partnership to buy their European fleet.”

 

“For what reason?”

 

“It makes a lot of money.” He replies smoothly.

 

“And the other reason?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.

 

“I want to show my father that he…”

 

“Couldn’t trust you to blow your own nose.” The imperious tone of the drop dead gorgeous Veri interrupts him as she strides into the office. She glares at Raymond, who actually is just opening and closing his mouth. “Good boy, stay quiet.”

 

“I’m sorry, Mr Vance. I was…”

 

“Oh no, don’t worry Caroline. This lady is welcome anytime. Get us some coffee. Veri, how lovely to…”

 

“What foolishness has he been trying to fill your head with?” That’s what I like about Veri. She gets straight to the point.

 

“We were just catching up as old friends do and…”

 

“Bollocks!” A voice from the door interrupts and I frown.

 

“Caroline!” I bark. Nothing. “Caroline!!” She comes in with the asked for coffee. “What have I said about not letting people in unannounced?”

 

“I was…” She looks at the coffee in her hands.

 

“That’ll be all.” I tell her dismissively before turning to the owner of the voice. “And you? Do I finally get to know your name?”

 

“It is Franc, as you should know since you stared at the label long enough. Or were you just staring at my tits? But more importantly, I’m a 32% shareholder in VanGuard Advertising so whatever he wants you to do, he is going to deal with me as well. Isn’t that right, brother dearest?!”

 

Shareholder?! Brother?!

 

“Can I ask why you have been buying my shares?”

 

“They were cheap.” She replies tartly and I grimace. “So it made perfect sense.”

 

“You mentioned earlier that Ray is your brother. He never mentioned a sister.”

 

Stepsister.” He finally speaks.

 

“Sore spot with him.” She sits down next to Veri. “He finds it galling that I want to work for a living and not just bareback on daddy.” Veri bursts out laughing. “Ah shit! No that’s not what...mom!”

 

“So, what were you discussing?” She turns to me, after wiping her eyes. “I do hope that it has nothing to do with Seabird. After all, you signed the non-disclosure agreement when you resigned from the board.”

 

“I did? Who told you about the board?” He turns to glare hatefully at Veri. “You? Oh, how you must have enjoyed that! Is that what you’ve always wanted?”

 

“Hush up fool.” Franc interjects. “If that was what she always wanted, she would’ve been on the board years ago, don’t you think? And the reason you are off the board was because you were lazy and agreed to it. Now again, Mr Vance, what were you talking about?”

 

“Fine. It’s not as if it was going to happen anyway. He wanted us to go into partnership to secure the Seabird Enterprises European Line but that is as far as the discussion went.”

 

“Your cream has to be curdled.” She growls. “What were you going to do in the event of that happening?”

 

What is going on here?

 

“Run it into the ground like you tried with the Caribbean route?” She flies out of her seat.

 

“Please sit down!” Another voice booms out.

 

My office is beginning to feel like Grand Central fucking station!

 

“And you are?” I ask as an elderly gentlemen makes his way to my desk and although it’s clearly a struggle for her, Franc does sit down.

 

“Randolph Charles. The founding president of Seabird Enterprises.” He bends down to kiss Veri on the cheek and turns to look at Franc. “Where are they?”

 

She reaches in her pocket and pulls out something crystal. “You can have them back in the car. Use your words.” He gives her a kiss on her cheek too and then turns to Ray. “Still continuing to be a disappointment, I see.”

 

“Can somebody please tell me why the European line is so important?” I demand exasperated.

 

“Because it’s hers.” Randolph indicates to Franc. “You see they were each given a part of the company to call their own. And…”

 

“I worked fucking hard to make that what it is now!”

 

“Now Mr Vance, did my grandson say anything other than ‘let’s buy it’ to you?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then there is no breach and you get to keep your inheritance, Raymond and leave this building unscathed. Go and spend your millions and…”

 

“$6 million! That’s all I got!” Raymond snarls.

 

“You were offered a chance to remain on the board and work towards the other riches but you chose not to.” Veri snaps.

 

“My house, as my now ex-boyfriend pointed out, was worth more than that!”

 

“Oh for fuck sake! This is because Ethan dumped your ass?!” Veri shakes her head. “Pathetic... you’re truly pathetic!”

 

“You know what Veri, I have always wanted to say this…”

 

“Careful how you finish that sentence boy!” Ray turns to his grandfather in surprise. “She is your stepmother and you will treat her with the good manners that we paid for!”

 

“One second, Franc you said he was lazy. What does that mean exactly?”

 

“He was told to terminate you about two and a half weeks before you actually were.”

 

“Was he now?” I turn my wrathful gaze on Raymond. “And you didn't do that because?”

 

“He was otherwise in congress.” Her voice drips with loathing. “If he had done what he was supposed to do then you wouldn't have been blindsided, made to look unprepared and foolish in front of your peers. And while we’re at it, let’s face the facts... Brian Kinney has the No 1 agency on the East coast and is steadily making inroads into New York and abroad. Oh and he’s also the guy you fired for being gay and...”

 

“Yes, we don't need to go into that!” I interrupt her quickly.

 

“So Ray, what are you going to do?” She asks.

 

“Like my grandfather said, I will go and live my life…”

 

“No, I meant about the compensation to Mr Vance, for early termination?”

 

“What are you talking about, Franc?” Veri looks as confused as most of us do, except Randolph.

 

“It’s standard practice and common sense in advertising circles. However, it seems like two fools went into business and you both lucked out. Good day gentlemen, ladies I do believe lunch calls. “Oh and Vance, value your staff a lot more than you do. She saved you from a potential lawsuit.”

 

As they head out, Veri stops by Caroline’s desk and hugs her goodbye. “Seriously, you don’t deserve her.” She calls back.

 

I head to her desk, leading Ray out at the same time. “When you’ve seen him out, can you come in and explain her remark?”

 

“So we’re not going to go…” Raymond begins but I cut him off.

 

“No. She has 32% of my shares, giving her vetoing powers. So what do you think is going to happen if we try to buy Seabird?”

 

“I didn't mean a business investment. What about a personal arrangement?”

 

“Seriously, were you dropped on your head as a child?!” Caroline scoffs.

 

“How dare you speak to me like that?!”

 

“Because sometimes you have to speak to the stupid in ways they understand. In order for him to make that a possibility, he’d have to put up part of his business, which she part owns, I presume?”

 

I nod but am still smarting from Randolph’s early remark about two fools going into business.

 

“Well, she’s hardly likely to let him sell to buy her out, is she?” She continues. “Now if you could excuse me, Mr Vance and I have things to discuss.”

 

Ray gawps at her before turning swiftly on his heel and walking out.

 

“So this lawsuit?” I turn to her.

 

“I quit! You clicked your fingers at me for the last time!”

 

“You’re joking, aren’t you?”

 

“No, I don’t joke about things like that. You were rude and embarrassed me and I’m under appreciated.”

 

“So what? You’re going to work for Seabird now?!” I shout at her.

 

“Good grief no. Kinnetic. Apparently their CFO needs a PA.”

 

“You can’t tell them anything about VanGuard!” I start to panic as I try to think if she’s signed a non-disclosure agreement. The fact that Kinney didn’t is already coming back to bite me in the ass...hard!

 

“The answer you are looking for is no, I didn’t. You didn’t deem any PAs worthy of a NDA. I can say whatever I want, to whomever I want so watch yourself Mr Vance. Most of the PAs really dislike you and won’t afford you what little loyalty I have in the past. Bye now.”

 

NAKAMA RESTAURANT - AN HOUR LATER

 

RANDOLPH

 

She may not have his business degrees but she has her smarts. And my, oh my, how she has outsmarted Vance!

 

“So, what is it you know that had him shutting you down so quickly?”

 

“Oh, you don’t know about what Brian did to get himself fired, do you?” Veri seems very proud of the news she’s about to impart. “Remember the losing election campaign run by Jim Stockwell?” I nod. “Well, seems that while Brian was working towards getting him elected by day at night he was sabotaging him. Vance was fired by Stockwell for losing the election but it wasn’t until afterwards that Vance found out what Brian was doing. He wanted to fire him but Brian pointed out the clusterfuck of reputational damage that would be wrought if Vance didn’t buy him out of the partnership, instead of firing him.”

 

“But everyone thinks that Brian was fired.” I point out.

 

“Yes. That’s true but only because nobody can prove that Vance said he fired him. Brian is biding his time because he knows Vance is going to say it sometime.” Veri signals the waiter and order some plum wine. “We won’t tell, will we?”

 

“Tell what? I didn’t see a thing.” Franc laughs.

 

“So the shares?”

 

“I had a feeling that brat-boy would try something to hurt us afterwards. Took a chance it would be with VanGuard and it paid off. But right now, enough of business. I need a Sake-Tini and some scallops. Dealing with the stupid and being deprived of my knuckledusters, is traumatising!”

 

ON THE WAY BACK TO DEBS HOUSE  - EARLY EVENING

 

HUNTER

 

I could get used to this life of leisure. Well almost leisure. We’ve been on Seabird Orienteering training since we were hired. I still can’t quite believe it! Debs has been an absolute godsend. I think she misses having someone in the house with her.

 

“Come on for crying out loud, I’m hungry!” I call out to Daph, who is lagging behind as she checks her phone. We have been given new phones as well.

 

“Alright I’m coming!” She runs to catch up with me and runs on past. “Hey, I have the key, remember?!”  

 

“Shit, I forgot that!  Hurry up before the…”

 

The next thing I hear is a scream.

 

“Daph!” I shout and run up towards her. I find her in full defensive posture, standing over someone who is covered in our take out. He is also clutching his chest and wheezing.

 

“Who the fuck are you!” Daph shouts. “Answer me, I have a taser! And I will use it!”

 

“What the hell is going on?!” Carl’s voice booms out. “Michael?! What are you doing on the ground?!”

 

Michael? As in her son Michael?” Daph ask apprehensively.

 

“Yes that’s him. What happened?” Carl demands, helping him up.

 

“Came up the stairs and he stepped out of the darkness! Of course, I’m going to react defensively!!”

 

“I thought she was Ma. I need to speak to her and she seems to be avoiding me.” He manages to get out. “Look at the state of me! I shall be sending you the bill for this! You’re lucky I don’t have you arrested for assault!”

 

“Michael, don’t be any stupider than you have been!” Debs comes up the stairs. “Now come on and let’s get you cleaned up as best you can. Then you can be on your way.”

 

“Be on my way?!” He wheezes. “Ma, we have things to discuss! I want to be able to give him the…”

 

Debs carries on walking so he hobbles to catch up to her in the kitchen.

 

DEBS

 

“Two things: one, I don’t want my business broadcast all over the street and secondly, the answer to your demand is no.”

 

“No?! What do you mean no?!” He looks thunderstruck.

 

“No, as in the opposite of yes. I won’t finance you reverting back to where you started with the store. Because that’s what you’re going to do, isn’t it? Put back everything the way it was to suit you? Well the way it was wasn’t working, which is why Nathan is there too! So find it another way or reap the benefits of success. Now let me introduce you properly to my two waifs...that way you won’t get your ass kicked by someone you don’t know, at least.”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

She said no to me! Can’t she see how difficult it is for me to work with Nathan? That with the store back under my control and only my control, it will be better?

 

I try Brian again and again, he doesn’t pick up! “Brian, it’s me again! This pouting you are doing is ridiculous. I need to speak to you about the store. This arrangement with Nathan is not working. Whatever you are doing, it cannot be more important than this! You need to call me back!”

 

RED CAPE COMICS - SATURDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

Well I was fed up of being ignored and this has got everyone’s attention.

 

“Michael, what are you doing?!” Nathan bellows at me. “This is ridiculous!”

 

“I said I don’t want this and what I say has to go!” I yell, rattling the chains I have attached to the grill of the door and cuffed them to my wrists.

 

“Oh for the love of Liza and all things holy!” Emmett joins us. “I had hoped that the rumours were untrue. But no, here you are in all your, and I use this term loosely, glory to achieve what? Ridicule? Scorn? Hits on YouTube? Will you just unlock this so these kiddies can enjoy their day?!”

 

“No! This is my store and I…”

 

“No, it isn’t.” Brian’s voice surprises me as he walks up with Ted.

 

“Brian! Okay, it’s not my store yet but it will be when I buy back it back from you and…”

 

“You can’t.”

 

“I can get the money somehow. Just give me a couple of months. But in the meantime, you can get rid of Nathan and all of his new ideas so it can go back to the way it was.” I look appealingly at him.

 

“Again no! You can’t buy back the store in a couple of months because I…”

 

“Are punishing me for my mistakes? I get that, so six months then?”

 

“No longer own it. I sold it. It is not mine to sell to you.” He’s lips are starting to curl in that trademark sneer of his.

 

“Wh-what do you mean?” I look around desperately. “Who owns my store, if not you?!”

 

“Me.” Comes a voice I have come to loathe.

 

“You?!” I turn to Brian, who now has the blond boy ass wrapped around him. “Why have you sold my store to her?!”

 

“I sold my loss-making enterprise to an astute businesswoman, who’s going to work with the current management to bring it into profit. Whether you continue to be part of that management structure, is entirely up to her. Now, I really hope you have keys to those chains because I’m pretty sure your new boss is not going to look too kindly on you disrupting her business with such an unseemly display.”

 

“Papa Justin, can we…” Gus stops and stares at me in wonder. “Papa Justin, is Unca Michael being silly again?”

 

“Yes Gus he is.”

 

“Unca Michael.” Gus turns to me with a look of utter seriousness. “Can you stop being silly please? We want to go in and do fun things with our new club and you’re stopping us. That’s not very nice! How would you like it if we stopped you from doing something you liked?”

 

“Gus, this is a grown up thing…”

 

“But you’re not being very grown up, Unca Michael.” Gus replies before coming up to me. “Is the key in your pocket, Unca Michael, or have you put that somewhere silly too?”

 

“Gus, be polite.” Blond Boy Ass tells him.

 

“Sorry Papa Justin, but he is! He would be very much crosser if it was someone was doing it to him. He would be screaming.”

 

“That’s very true. Michael, do you have the keys on you or do we have to cut the grills off so that the club can start?” Nathan demands. “I’m so sorry about this um…”

 

“Franc.” She sticks out her hand. “And don’t worry about it. Ted, can you do two things for me? One is get Debs, and two find someone with bolt cutters. Unless Unca Michael is going to give up the keys?”

 

“I can’t.” I mutter.

 

“Oh please, don’t tell me you’ve swallowed them?!” Ted snaps.

 

“No, I’m not that stupid! I posted them. They’re in the store.”

 

“How does putting them in someplace equally less attainable make you any less stupid?” Justin sighs, coming up to me. “Can you move to the side a bit?” He peers down to the keys. “I think I can get them. But it will involve me being between your legs.”

 

“Absolutely not! Get the bolt cutters!” Brian orders, pulling him back away from me and people laugh.

 

“Hang on a minute. Since we are delayed by this fudgnucking idiot, methinks that he should at least pay for breakfast. There’s a place of two arches up the block, I think…” She rifles in my pockets. “Aha! He should stand breakfast. Nathan, you take this and try to bring back change.”

 

“You can’t do that; it’s stealing!” I shout at her.

 

“And what you are doing is called insubordination, which should get you fired as opposed to suspended! So what’s it to be? Breakfast or fired?”

 

“Fine but get a receipt!” I call out to Nathan. He just stares at me in disbelief.

 

“Michael, what the fudnucking hell have you done now?!” Ma grouses. She turns to the large man with her. “You see the problem Bear, can you cut it off?”

 

“Oh yeah, that I can do?” He chuckles, wielding the cutters.

 

“Daddy, can we go to the place of the arches pretty please?” Gus looks up at him pleadingly.

 

“Yes daddy, pretty please. Can we go to the place of the arches? Promise to make it very worth your while to say yes.” Blond Boy Ass thinks he’s being seductive. How absurd!.

 

“Put that way. Yes we can. And yes you will.”

 

“You’re going to be big-big kissing again, aren’t you daddy?” Gus asks. And why the hell is he smiling?!

 

Yes, we are definitely going to be doing that!” Brian laughs. “Let’s go you two. Franc, shall we order for you?”

 

“Nope. I’m going to record this for posterity and call it, What Not to Do to Impress Your New Boss!” She turns to Bear. “Okay, have at him!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.