- Text Size +

CHAPTER 38 - JEWELLERY

 

ROSS PARK MALL - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

Gus is skipping happily between us holding our hands as we make our way to a jewellers. He is so happy! When we found the necklace, we quickly got dried and dressed then woke Gus up. He promptly burst into tears of happiness. We explained that it needed a stronger chain, so we’re here trying to find one.

 

“Daddy, what about this place?” He stops outside Tiffany’s. “They have lots of chains in the window.” Justin just smirks at me and I mouth not one word at him as we go in.

 

“Good afternoon gentlemen, how can I help you?” An assistant approaches and I look down at Gus.

 

“Gus, can you tell him what we want?”

 

He pulls out the pouch with Justin’s chain in it. “I made this for my papa and it broke, so we need something stronger.”

 

“Okay sir, let’s take a seat here.” He pats a high chair near the counter and I help Gus up. “I see…” He looks at the chain. “This is a beautiful pearl. Maybe we could put it on a base then we can get a stronger but shorter chain.” Gus frowns. “Let me show you…”

 

Forty minutes later, the pearl is fixed onto a small pearl disc and with my help, Gus puts it on Justin. The assistant looks at my bracelet. “Sir maybe we should do the same with your bracelet. I take it your son made it for you, too?” I nod. “May I see it properly, please? Oh yes, we can do the same disc on that for you.”

 

Another forty minutes later, we are done and heading to the diner. When we get there, Debs and almost everyone else is in floods of tears!

 

DINER

 

JUSTIN

 

“Oh my God, Debs! Kiki! What’s happened?” I cry out, rushing to Debs’ side.

 

“It’s Vic…” She snivels.

 

“What about him?!” Brian is trying to keep calm. Thankfully, we left Gus with Nathan because he wanted to see the kittens.

 

“He’s...he’s…” Kiki hiccups.

 

“What?!” I demand.

 

“Getting married!” Debs wails. “Rodney asked and I-I-I’m so happy!”

 

“Married?” Brian echoes and sinks down in the nearest booth. “Married-married?”

 

“Yes…” Kiki smiles and then realises what both of us were thinking. “Oh Brian! Debs, take him to the office!”

 

“Why? We’re getting champ…” Debs finally looks at Brian, who is slowly regaining some colour. “Oh kiddo...with me now!”

 

I feel a bit lost as he slowly gets up before Debs calls back. “Justin, come on! He needs you too!”

 

I swallow the lump back down and go to follow them but Kiki calls me back and pours three coffees and pulls out a bottle of brandy. “Who’s driving?” She asks and as soon as I raise my hand, she pours a hefty amount in one cup. “His.” She says firmly and I nod.

 

OFFICE

 

DEBS

 

I am holding Brian tightly as he sobs, rocking him gently. “I’m sorry kiddo. I just didn’t…” I pause as Justin comes in and hands him a cup of coffee and mouths brandy at me and I nod. “Brian, come on drink this, all of it...now while it’s hot.”

 

He takes the coffee and grimaces as he takes the first sip. “Ouch! That’s hot and it tastes odd. I don’t want it...”

 

“Keep drinking.” Justin orders and I watch as he does as he’s told, marvelling at the love between the two of them in such a short space of time.

 

I frown as I can hear a cheering outside. “Let me go see what that is…and there’s something else that we need to talk about.”

 

I head back to the main floor and find Kiki, clutching a bottle of champagne. Vic and Rodney look adorably embarrassed. Just as I’m about to say something, I spot the advancing figure of Michael from across the street. “Office now!” I hiss and start shoving them in that direction. “Will explain... just stay there both of you! Everyone quiet and get rid of that, Kiki!”

 

Luckily, the traffic was in our favour and he got held up for a few seconds. “Not that quiet! Act normal but say nothing about you know what!” I order.

 

“Hi Ma.” Michael says quietly. “We need to talk…”

 

“Oh my God, I just heard!” Ems comes in screaming and my heart sinks. “I can’t believe it! They’re getting married!”

 

“Who’s getting married?” Michael pouts.

 

“Franc and Markus.” Ems replies and I spot him cross his fingers...I love this man!

 

“Oh, that’s great! When did he ask?” I ask.

 

“This morning. I came as soon as I heard! Mind if I use the office so that I can do some admin and have my dinner in peace and quiet.”

 

“Sure honey, go ahead.” I tell him.

 

“Uh Ma, I want to talk to you so…”

 

“So take a seat over there and we’ll talk.” I point to the booth we were sitting in. With a baleful look, he heads over there and makes a show of looking through his wallet and sighing. For once if it gets him out faster, I will let him have a free fucking meal!

 

Ten minutes later, I approach with a burger and fries. “So?” I prompt.

 

“I have nothing.” He sighs. “I just wanted to be with Brian in the way we’ve always been meant to be…”

 

“If it was meant to be, then it would be.” I interrupt him. “He’s with Justin and from what I see very happy.”

 

“For now.” He growls bitterly. “I can’t believe after all we’ve...ouch!” He winces as the coffee pot connects with the back of his head. “Kiki be careful!”

 

“Sorreeee!” She sing songs as she goes to another booth.

 

The door opens and Nathan comes in with Gus. “What’s Gus doing here?” Michael asks, still rubbing the back of his head.

 

“Hi grandma!” Gus crawls in next to me...this is not happening. “Can we go home now? Where’s...”

 

“Hey sweetheart!” Carl comes in and sits next to Gus. This has me shuffling around, which means I can’t get to the office. And then of course, Franc comes in!

 

“Afternoon, hey wee man. You look a lot better than you did yesterday! Did you get everything sorted out with the necklace?” Franc beams and takes the seat next to Michael and I try and get her attention.

 

“I hear congratulations are in order.” Michael glares at her. “When’s the date? Your parents must be so pleased!”

 

“What are you blathering on about?” She drawls.

 

Oh for the love of fuck!

 

“You don’t have a ring.” Michael continues, oblivious to the confusion on Franc’s face. “Can’t your Gangsta cop fiancé get the money out of his bookie or something?”

 

“Franc!” Nathan gasps as he comes out of the back. “Emmy needs to talk about you and…”

 

“Idiots need ammo for them to keep shooting the stoopid.” Franc leans back and looks round the booth. “What’s going on?”

 

As I frantically try to think of a way to explain this, everyone comes out of the back.

 

“Brian! Uncle Vic! What are you doing here?” Michael asks.

 

“Come on Sonny Boy, let’s get you home.” Gus stands on the seat and Brian lifts him up without saying anything to Michael.

 

“Bri…”

 

“Carl, will you be my best man?” Rodney asks and Carl gapes. I try to slide under the table.

 

“Wh-what?” Carl stammers.

 

“I asked.” Rodney grins. “And he said yes, so will you be my best man?”

 

“Of course, I will! For crying out loud, what a question!” Carl gets up and hugs Rodney fiercely.

 

“Married?!” Michael exclaims. “I…”

 

“And Gus.” Rodney continues. “Do you know what a ring bearer is?”

 

“No Uncle Rodney, what’s that?”

 

“It’s a very important position in the wedding…”

 

“Wedding?” Gus looks round. “Who’s getting married?”

 

“I’m going to marry your Uncle Vic. And I would love you to be the ring bearer.”

 

“So what would I do, papa?” Gus asks, doing the twirly thing with Brian’s hair he sometimes does when he’s being carried by him. I think he’s picked that up from Brian as he does it when he’s with Justin.

 

“You would look after the wedding rings and then give them to the grooms...that’s Uncle Vic and Uncle Rodney...when you’re told to.” Justin answers smiling.

 

“Oh yes please! Can Momma, Momma Leda and Ruby come too?” Gus grins.

 

“Absolutely!” Rodney replies.

 

“When did you ask her Rodney?” Michael asks, his arms crossed.

 

“What are you talking about?” I sigh.

 

“Well obviously you had to ask Ma for my uncle’s hand in marriage. It’s the only way for it to be done.” He replies. “Although, I think I should also be consulted since I am going to be your step-nephew...”

 

“Really?” Franc cuts in and gets up. “Because I don’t remember you or Raymond coming to either Debs or my parents to ask them.”

 

He ignores her and grins at Brian. “But it’s going to be great, isn’t it Brian? We can help plan the wedding!”

 

I don’t think I have ever heard the diner go so quiet!

 

“No. The wedding is being organised by Emmy Lou. And now I am taking my son and partner home to celebrate as a family.” Brian retorts and taking Justin’s hand, he walks out.

 

“Well I’ll be damned!” Franc sniffs. “I need to call mom! Emmy with me! You two just say yes when I ask the question!” She shouts back, dragging Ems out.

 

Michael’s attempt to follow Brian is blocked by Vic sitting down. “So when this wedding happens, are you going to behave?” He asks.

 

Michael looks puzzled. “Why are you asking? When have I misbehaved?”

 

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

PARTNER! HE CALLED ME HIS PARTNER!

 

I help him get Gus out and he immediately runs inside, shouting for Mel and Leda. Brian is taking out the rest of his shopping and locks up the boot. I grab one of the loops of his pants.

 

“Whoa there partner.” I pull him back to me and he turns around in my arms. “I…”

 

Nothing else leaves my mouth as his tongue enters. Dropping his bags, he lifts me onto the boot of the car. And just like the first proper kiss we ever shared, he’s yanking my top free from my pants and one hand strokes my back while the other is in my hair. Also like that kiss, my legs goes around his waist. As we get lost in each other, the kiss deepens and I sigh into his mouth, wrapping myself tighter around him.

 

There’s a thud on the boot but we ignore it as our tongues dance. I rip my mouth away from his to yelp as a claw is judiciously applied to my side. “Custard!” He stares at me as if to say what?

 

“We will continue this later.” Brian nuzzles my neck and helps me off the boot.

 

“Good.” I grin and then laugh as Custard waits for us to go inside before following us.

 

PETERSON HOTEL SUITE - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

LINDSAY

 

“But daddy...!” I protest.

 

“Ronald!” Mother gasps as daddy keeps packing.

 

“I have never been so humiliated in my life. You did this on purpose! This is borderline fraud and as for you Nancy, trying to apportion blame to Veri Charles-Prince is ridiculous!”

 

“But she…” Mother tries again.

 

“DID NOTHING WRONG!” Daddy shouts. “This is down to Lindsay and Raymond. Judging by the speed with which he left with whatever his name was, this marriage was a lie from the very beginning.” He sits down on the bed. “And even worse, because of you two I watched my grandson have absolutely no recognition of me whatsoever! He’s just like you as a toddler. And that little girl, who is she? And this time, I want the truth...the rest of your life as you are used to living it, depends on it!”

 

“She’s Brian and Mel’s child. They were…”

 

“...obviously cheating on Lindsay with each other and…” Mother continues.

 

“How is that different from what you and Sam did?” Daddy interrupts.

 

“I didn’t get pregnant and…”

 

“Was cheating from the get go and was meant to be inseminating Mel but wasn’t. Do I have the right of it?”

 

I just stare at him and try to gather my thoughts. “What…”

 

“You had your opportunity to be honest and blew it.” Daddy continues and Mother glares at me. “As did you Nancy, so don’t even try that.” He heads to the desk. “I spoke to Lynette and she told me everything she knew. Then I called Sam. How much of the money that he gave you do you have left? Don’t answer that. Whatever it is, spend it wisely. I have done you a favour Lindsay and got you a job like the one you had in Bloom. But not in Pittsburgh...”

 

“Where?” I ask weakly.

 

“As I said before, you want to live the life you want, you can and that’s fine. But not here! Instead, you will leave Pittsburgh and the people that you wanted to be miserable because your life has gone to shit. You will leave so that they can finally be happy!”

 

“Ronald!”

 

“Nancy quiet!” Daddy retorts. “This ticket gets you to Los Angeles. Let’s face it... New York doesn’t want you. Spoiled and entitled as you believe yourself to be will have them chewing you up and spitting you out, leaving the vultures circling for your ever-rotten remains. And since you tend to leave a bad taste in people’s mouths, I don’t want it leading back to my door. So I’m offering you an alternative… a better one. This is your out to keep what little dignity you may have left! Your things are packed and you will be on the flight across the country before ours leaves to go back to France.”

 

I look at mother but once again, her self-preservation has kicked in. So much for family. “Fine! But when I’m a big success…”

 

“Pigs will fly. Let’s go!” Daddy snaps and slams the case shut.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks