- Text Size +

CHAPTER 48 - THAT’S WHAT BEST FRIENDS ARE FOR RIGHT

 

JUSTIN

 

“Gus, this is so wonderful.” I sniff. “But what are the blank pages for?”

 

“So we can keep filling it with photos and words. Like today, you have to put you getting it in there.”

 

“Can someone take a picture, in a minute...ne-need to wash my face?” I get up and head to the bathroom. A few minutes later, there’s tapping.

 

“Justin, can I come in?” Mom calls gently and I open the door. She comes in and pulls me into her embrace. “Brian said sometimes only a mother will do.”

 

“Oh mom, I love Gus so much!”

 

“I know sweetheart; we all do. Now give yourself a few minutes before you come out so we can enjoy the rest of the day. You know...getting Michael and David together.”

 

“Okay, so uh the cupcakes are my birthday cakes?” I look hopeful.

 

“Yes and you have your son to thank for that too.” She smiles and with a kiss to my again sodden cheek, she’s gone.

 

DAVID

 

We all turn to look at Jennifer. “He’ll be right out. Just needs a few more minutes.”

 

Five minutes later, he comes out and immediately sits in Brian’s lap. And there it is again! That little flash across his face...I need to get his focus back on me.

 

“You know I was wrong about them Michael, so very wrong.” Everyone turns to look at me but he’s frowning. “They aren’t intense with each other.”

 

“Well I didn’t want to say anything since I’ve known Brian for so long. So if they’re not that then what are they?”

 

“In love. So very much in love and I would love to have that someday. Perhaps Brian could return the favour, since you got him Justin.”

 

“I’ll see what I can do.” Brian smiles. “But right now let’s eat! Have you had West Indian food before David?”

 

“Not for a long time. Is there still scotch bonnet pepper in it?”

 

“Of course there is! We’re Charles-Princes!” Veri laughs. “So Michael, as you’ve not really eaten our food before, I would advise you to avoid that relish right there…”

 

“Thanks Veri, but I’ll be fine.” He replies and then looks round the table. “What’s the yellow stuff?” He screws up his face.

 

“Ackee and that’s cod...it can be a bit salty.” I tell him. “Just try a little bit and if you don’t like it, stick to the salad.”

 

“Isn’t there any pasta?” He asks, looking around again with apprehension.

 

“No. Stick to the salad and the bread instead for the first course. You should be fine with the rest of it.” Randolph tells him and I find his slightly annoyed tone entirely justifiable.

 

“Gus, do you want some ackee?” Daphne asks and when he nods, she cuts her eye at Michael. “Say when?”

 

“When. Mr David, are you Uncle Michael’s friend like Uncle Ted and Uncle Blake?”

 

“I hope to be, why?”

 

“Because I want to make sure you aren't going to be Daphne’s friend like that, as I’m going to marry her when I’m bigger. We have a list. Oh can I have a bake please, Nathan?”

 

“Wow Gus, you have picked…”

 

“Gus, what about Chandra? I thought she was your best friend.” Michael interrupts.

 

“Oh no, that would be too icky! You don't be friends like that with big-big kisses and be best friends too! Well unless you’re daddy and papa but they became best friends after kissing. They do a lot of that.”

 

“Gus, please eat something.” Mel orders, laughing and looking at a blushing Brian and Justin. “I really think daddy especially wants you to eat.”

 

“Or he would really like to go and change Ruby’s nappy.” Leda laughs.

 

“The one time…” Brian grumbles, but he’s smiling too.

 

“Never had Brian down as a blusher.” I whisper to Michael, who just nods and picks at his salad.

 

“So David, how did you meet Michael?” Randolph asks.

 

“I changed his cast in the absence of his usual physician. Which is lucky for me, as if I was his doctor, I couldn't be here.”

 

“Imagine such fortuitous a circumstance.” Franc smiles.

 

“Oh yes, had a golf day. Not really my thing.”

 

“What is your thing apart from being a doctor?” Emmett asks.

 

“When I was in Portland, I loved outdoor sports. I love eating out and for indoors, cooking and then there’s my attempts at dancing…”

 

“God, I haven't danced in ages!” Justin sighs, earning a look from Brian. “Properly getting sweaty dancing not doing it for an advert…”

 

“Sorry advert? What advert?” I ask.

 

“Oh yes, Brian does the advertising for Seabird…” Emmett responds.

 

“You're kidding! That’s a hot advertisement. In the Portland gym I went to, it was known as the stop work-out and drool break, especially the fishing. That sailfish was incredible!”

 

“That was Baby and Big Bad.” Emmett grins at me.

 

“Baby and…?” I frown.

 

“That’s what Auntie Emmy calls daddy and papa sometimes. Not sure why but Uncle Carl said not to worry about it.”

 

“Oh! Thank you, Gus for clearing that up.” I chuckle. “But back to the advert, was that seriously you two landing that fish?”

 

“Yes. And my God was it was exhausting!” Justin laughs.

 

“No, it wasn’t!” Michael declares. “Brian doesn’t fish.”

 

“Yes, it was Michael. Ben and I were there, remember?” Emmett corrects him. “And it was also them in the nightclub.”

 

“Brian can’t dance!” Michael laughs.

 

“Nevertheless, the advert is hot and effective.” I point out and that gets his attention! “You can’t deny that it was incredible.”

 

“David, remember that Justin is here.” Michael responds with that sharp tone again. “I doubt that he would appreciate you cooing over Brian in front of him.”

 

“I’m not cooing, but neither am I blind. But like I said earlier, they are in love and not threatened by me.”

 

“Second course needs to be brought out.” Franc announces. “Brian? Why don’t you and Michael help Emmett and me?”

 

“Brian...you sit down. Ruby’s waking up now.” Debs declares and they follow her into the kitchen.

 

KITCHEN

 

DEBS

 

I wait till we are all in and shut the door. “What the fuck is wrong with you?!” I snap at Michael.

 

“What? Nothing is wrong with me. Come on, let’s serve.”

 

“What the hell does the guy have to do?! Is your eyesight broken?!” Franc is playing her part to the hilt.

 

“What are you talking about?” Once again, he is focusing on completely the wrong thing!

 

“David!” Ems shrieks. “The only thing he hasn’t done is strip naked and sit on your face! How do you not notice the man is int-er-rest-ed in you?!”

 

“He seems to be more interested in Brian.” Michael pouts.

 

“But Brian is not interested in him! He has Justin. For goodness sake harness your nuts and go get David! He’s a surgeon that is interested in you! Didn’t you already go on a date?” Ems points out.

 

“Yes but…”

 

“So while Brian and Justin are together for as long as they are together, why not have some fun yourself? Show Brian what it feels like for someone else to want you...”

 

“You think I should go for it? I mean it will show Brian that I’m desirable and I did say that until we were both ready, we could date other people. Personally, if I were Brian, I would’ve picked someone better than Justin.”

 

How the fuck did I raise such an entitled asshole?!

 

Franc has suddenly found the pot of stewed chicken very interesting.

 

“Yes, I’m going to do that!” Michael declares, heading back outside. “It’s time to think about me for a change and not about anyone else!”

 

As the closes the door behind him, we look at each other. “Did he just say that he gave Brian permission to date?” Ems looks utterly stunned.

 

“Let’s get out there so he doesn’t fuck it up. You know... by speaking!” I order.

 

The rest of the day is spent pulling Michael’s foot out of his mouth but finally! They have a second date. However, Michael is sulking as it is a double one with Brian and Justin. But he brightens considerably when he offers to take Michael shopping!

 

MASTER BEDROOM - SUNDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I am really trying not to cry again but it so beautiful what Gus has done. “I still can’t believe I forgot my birthday! When did you do that?”

 

Start of flashback

BRITIN - THREE WEEKS PRIOR

 

KITCHEN

 

GUS

 

“Daddy? When is papa’s birthday?”

 

Daddy looks up in surprise and then frowns. “Let me call Jennifer...I mean Aunt Jen and ask.”

 

Ten minutes later, we know the date and daddy is smiling really big. “So what do you want to get papa?”

 

“You knowed that comic I wanted to do with Ruby? Well supposed I wanted to do that about you and papa and how you met? Would that be something....daddy! I’ve just eaten! Why are you swinging me?!”

 

“Because, that is a wonderful idea Gus, so wonderful! Okay, let’s start!”

 

“Daddy, what are you going to get papa?”

 

“Oh I’m sure I will think of something!”

End of flashback

 

JUSTIN

 

I settle back into his embrace. “So what did you get me?” I get a sweet kiss and then he reaches down and hands me a flat box. With shaking hands, I open it and like Gus, he’s done a book but that’s where the similarities end!

 

“Uh Brian…” I gasp as I turn the first page and then I tilt my head. “H-have we done that?”

 

“Not yet.” He kisses and then licks behind my ear. “Carry on reading.”

 

By the time I get to page 12, I am panting and grinding my butt against him.

 

“Daddy! Papa!” Gus calls from outside the door. “Can I come in?!”

 

“That goes to your place...date night Wednesdays...pick the pages.”

 

“5, 7, 11 and definitely page 3!”

 

“And page 4...and like your book from Gus, we have to keep filling them! Now put that away!” He waits for me to do that and to calm my raging libido down before calling out. “Yes Gus, come on in!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks