- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rose is Emmy's nickname for George Schickle

CHAPTER 53 - NITPICKING, PICNICKING AND ROSE’S TONGUE HAS THORNS

 

DAVID AND MICHAEL’S CONDO - FRIDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

DAVID

 

You’d think that now he’s got his cast off, he’d be more active. But, no, he’s still behaving like he’s wearing it.

 

“How was your day?” I ask as I come in.

 

“Okay, my arm is still a bit sore. Is that normal?”

 

“There is nothing wrong with your arm, Michael. And your bloodwork came back clear. You need to do the exercises.” As I have told you thousands of times before. “The more you do it, the better your arm will get.”

 

“No prizes for guessing how your day has been. What happened that you are taking it out on me?” He grumbles.

 

“What happened is that for the second night running, I have come home to find you on the couch having seemingly done nothing.” He looks up at me in astonishment. “Michael, you and I need to have a serious talk.” I sit next to him and sigh before standing up and getting a drink. “I was really upset the way you spoke to me on Wednesday and then behaved when we got back here.”

 

“David, you had said you were going to meet me so I was upset when you weren’t there. You should’ve been…”

 

“I had a busy morning. Your appointment wasn’t in my calendar and you didn’t remind before I left for work.”

 

“We weren’t talking.” He points out sulkily.

 

“And whose fault was that? Your behaviour on Saturday was the reason we weren’t talking. If you wanted me there so badly, you could’ve reminded me before I left for work.”

 

“I didn’t think you’d want to come.”

 

I frown. “Which one is it? I was supposed to be there or you didn’t think I was going to come; you’ve just contradicted yourself.”

 

“You are trying to start a fight to deflect from the fact that you were wrong!” He pushes himself off the sofa. Oh you can put weight on your arm now?! “Are you trying to get me to leave? Is that what this is about?”

 

I pause and give it some thought. “Michael. I still want to see you, but I think we have moved in together too quickly. Our living styles are just too different.”

 

He gapes at me. “I can change and adapt…”

 

“But only when you’re pushed into a corner, like now. And the way you treated Manny was rude.”

 

“What did I say to Manny that was rude? I asked him to do his job, which is what we hired him for.”

 

“I hired. I hired him, you do not…”

 

“So this is about money? I had a cast on! I couldn’t work and…”

 

“No Michael, that’s not what I mean and you know it. You got rid of Manny in order to be my personal chef and now that you are here full-time, you bring him back so he can cater to you, like a servant.”

 

“I…” His eyes shimmer with tears and immediately, I am reminded of Ray.

 

“You?”

 

“I just want what Brian and Justin have…”

 

I am not taken in by his puppy dog eyes this time. “If you want what they have, why do you sometimes look pissed that they have it?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Sometimes you glare at them when they are together. And your research comment at Babylon was crass, and Brian was pissed off.”

 

“Did Brian say that to you?”

 

“Justin never gave him a chance to say anything…”

 

“If he was mad, like you say, then he wouldn't have been here on Saturday. Look David, what is it you want me to do? I want to stay here. I like it here, I like the fact that I get to welcome you home…”

 

“Stay at your place during the week and come over here on Friday night and leave with me Monday morning. Let's ease into this a bit more…” He takes a good minute to nod and gives me a smile of relief. “So you’ll call them now, then?” He looks confused. “The people who moved you in so quickly...they can move you back out by tomorrow evening. Please Michael, these last few days with work and here have been very difficult. I really want to be alone.”

 

“I understand that but since I will be here for almost half the week, why am I moving my stuff back?” He's struggling to control his sulk and whine tone.

 

“You don't need all of your stuff here. Some things, yes but not all…”

 

“But most of my collectibles are in the other bedroom.” He pouts.

 

“Yes and it’s a room I would like back...to use for guests. I’m starting to make friends here. It would be nice for them to have somewhere to sleep. Likewise for you, surely?”

 

My friends are used to my collection.”

 

“But I’m not and, to be honest, I don't think anyone else but you and your friends are.”

 

He looks crestfallen. “I can put them in the garage and…”

 

“I am not leaving a $50,000 car on the driveway so your comics and toys don't get wet!”

 

“David…”

 

“What is it doing back here?” I ask.

 

“What is what doing back here?”

 

“The cymbal monkey! It’s in the guest room and that was one of the first things that we packed to go back to your place. So you went back and got it, didn’t you?”

 

“It goes with…”

 

“Michael, please listen to me. I want to keep seeing you but not in this arrangement. I have always lived alone. This is just too soon for me. I haven’t even really lived here yet.”

 

“Okay. I will call them tomorrow…” He sighs.

 

“Michael…”

 

“Fine, tonight! I will call them tonight. But they might not be able to come tomorrow…”

 

“Then keep calling removal companies until you find one that can. Now I’m going to order some food. What do you fancy?”

 

“Whatever you feel is best.” He replies and I nod and leave him to it.

 

MICHAEL

 

When I am by myself, I am just reeling! I don’t understand where all of that came from. But to keep the peace, I shall do what he wants... for now. I call the removers and of course, they can move me tomorrow and at nine in the fucking morning!

 

I head to the kitchen and find him sighing and loading the dishwasher. “I was going to do that.”

 

When? When we finally ran out of bowls?” He grumbles. “So what time are the movers coming?”

 

“Nine. So while I wait for the food, do you want to go upstairs and have a bath or something?”

 

“Yes let’s go upstairs and do something. Which would be to start to clear the guest room. I kept the boxes in the garage.”

 

We head upstairs in silence.

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

I have two very tired and somewhat miserable boys! There has been a case of flu at Gus’s school, which meant that Ruby, Mel and Leda had to go to Leda’s but even worse, he gave it to Justin. Mercifully they seem to be over the worst of it, but are still snuffily. I only found out when I came home last night after a business trip in Seattle and came face to face with two red nosed boys.

 

I look in on them and they are still asleep. I had to sleep in Mel’s room as I couldn’t get in the bed because they were both spreadeagled and snoring!

 

I pad downstairs to make them some scrambled eggs on French toast and sort out Rhubarb and Custard. Twenty minutes later, I left the eggs to take the seasoning and the bread soaking. Smiling, I go back upstairs with hot chocolate.

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

I open the bedroom curtains and then the window to clear the air. “Guys, come on wake up. Got hot chocolate for you.” Two lumps start to stir and finally, they surface from under the comforter.

 

“Daddy! I didn't dreamed you!” Gus croaks and rubs his eyes.

 

“No, you didn't. You and papa go and brush your teeth and come back to bed. Take it you want breakfast up here?”

 

“Mmmm.” That’s all I get from Justin as he slowly returns to the land of the living. Ten minutes later, they are back looking much better. “Do I smell chocolate?”

 

“Back in bed to drink it.” I order and look around. The place is in need of a good cleaning. I make a mental note to call Emmy to see if he can recommend a cleaning service. “Gus, do you want some help?”

 

He nods. “Can I snuggle with you please?” I scoop him into my lap in answer to his question and wrap my arm around Justin’s shoulders. “That was yummy daddy, who made it?”

 

“I did. And I’m doing some scrambled eggs on French toast for breakfast. Do you want to try it?”

 

“Oh please daddy!” He peers at Justin. “Papa, where you going?”

 

“Kitchen. You’re daddy makes the best scrambled eggs in the world!” He replies, pulling on some sweats.

 

“And the best hot chocolate.” Gus scrambles off my lap to follow his papa.

 

An hour later, they both have a bit more colour and are looking happier.

 

“I’m sorry Brian, I just wasn’t…”

 

“You are not a housewife, Justin.” I interrupt. “I’m going to speak to Emmy Lou, see if we can get someone to clean our home.”

 

“Brian, it’s only this…”

 

“No Justin, not negotiable.” I tell him firmly. “Now you two need to go and have a bath and then it’s movie time.”

 

“Daddy, can Ruby come home soon?”

 

“Yes Sonny Boy, I think in a couple of days she’ll be fine to come back.”

 

Two days later, all of my family is back under one roof again.

 

DINER - EARLY THURSDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

“How you doing kiddos?” I ask as Brian comes in with Gus.

 

“Much better grandma. Papa is working on my mural so daddy is taking me into school today!”

 

“Your usual?” I ask and they both nod and take their seats in their booth. “Tony! C&G breakfast please!”

 

“Got it!” He yells back.

 

As I start to get Brian’s coffee and Gus’s milk warmed up, I am surprised to see Michael coming through the door. “Hi Ma. How are...Brian! Hey!” He almost sprints to the booth!

 

“Fine thanks.” I mutter and get out another cup and join them in the booth.

 

“No cast, I see.” Brian points out. “It must be a relief.”

 

“You’d think so, but it caused an argument with David.”

 

Oh what the fuck did you do now?!

 

“How?” I ask.

 

“He was supposed to meet me at the hospital but was at lunch with Franc instead.” Brian and I exchange confused looks. “He said she was dropping off her boyfriend and they went to lunch and I had to call him to remind him that…”

 

“Why didn’t you remind him before he went to work?” Brian asks...

 

“That’s what he said, but we weren’t talking after his behaviour on Saturday.”

 

“His behaviour? What did he do?” I ask, wracking my brains for when David was off with any of us.

 

“Not with you. He was mean to me when you guys went.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“But I...oh that looks good!” He eyes the pancakes eagerly and picks up a fork.

 

“No Michael. They are for Gus and Chandra when they get to school. He does the syrup before they are wrapped up.” Brian helps Gus with the bottle and then looks at his watch.

 

“All done daddy!” Gus announces and finishes off his milk. “Can we go now?”

 

“Yes we can. See you guys later.”

 

“Bye grandma! Bye Mr Tony! Bye Mr Michael!” Gus calls out as he carries his take out box very carefully.

 

Mr Michael?!

 

KINNETIC - LUNCHTIME

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

JUSTIN

 

“Mr Michael?” I am trying really hard not to smirk. “He called him that?”

 

“Yeah and I wanted to talk to you about that before we speak to Gus.” His smirking is not helping me not smirk. “I was biting my tongue so hard, I almost drew blood! Michael looked so stunned!” He snorts with laughter.

 

“I can imagine!” I laugh. “But what was he doing there?”

 

“No idea, but it turned into a whine fest about how badly David was treating him.” I just shake my head. “But enough about that. What do you think about this?”

 

I get up and go round his side of the desk and look at the screen. “Oh that looks pretty, where’s that?”

 

“Pleasant Kingdom Park. I thought we could take Gus and Ruby there for a picnic on Sunday. It’s supposed to be nice and warm.”

 

“Yeah that’s a great...Brian what’s that?”

 

The pot.” I shiver at the huskiness of his voice and watch him reach for his phone, before pausing. “You are wearing far too many clothes.”

 

I get up and head to the door then lock it before walking back towards him, stripping as I go.

 

“Ted, there is no need for me to be in the meetings for the rest of the day, correct? Schmidt, I can assure you it’s not me, but I will tell him!”

 

“What?” I sit astride him.

 

“Ted said to keep the noise down!”

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

GARAGE

 

“Daddy, are you sured we can’t take Rhubie and Custard? I think they would love it!”

 

“I am very sure Gus. Now come along we’ve got to get going.”

 

We have another surprise for Gus. He thinks it’s just going to be us, but the rest of the family are meeting us there as are Chandra and some of his friends. Apparently, she has been struggling to keep that from her bestest friend so is very happy that Sunday is here!

 

“Okay Gussie, get in. Are you sure you want to take Leather Bear?”

 

“Oh yes papa! He’s not been out either.”

 

You can’t argue with that logic!

 

Twenty minutes later, we are on our way.

 

PLEASANT KINGDOM PARK - AN HOUR LATER

 

GUS

 

“Oh, it is so pretty here! Mommy, do you need me to hold Leather Belle for Ruby?”

 

“Yes please, Gus. Thank you.”

 

I am so pleased that Ruby and my mommies are back home now, I missed them so much.

 

As I follow my daddies, I see someone that I recognise. “Daddy? Isn’t that Mr Randolph?”

 

“Where Sonny Boy?” Daddy picks me up and I point to a big tree where he’s sitting. “No, I don’t think that is Mr Randolph. I’m sorry.” I look at daddy and he’s starting to smile. “Daddy! It is! It is Mr Randolph, isn’t it?!”

 

“Yes it is. Do you think you can go straight to him? I’ll hold Bear and Belle.”

 

“Oh please! Please daddy!” I cry and wriggle down.

 

“Straight to him Gus!” I hear daddy shout as I run.

 

“Mr Randolph! Mr Randolph!” I yell and run as fast as I can. When I reach him, I stop and stare. It’s like that time in the garden at home; everyone is here! “Chandra, you naughty best friend! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

 

“I wanted to so bad but it was a secret surprise so I couldn’t! Can we have a sorry-hug?”

 

“Yes! Oh yes!” I run up to her and then stop. “Is there any other surprises, because you are only getting one hug.” I try to look serious but she just stares back at me and I wrap my arms round my best friend. “Okay maybe two but that’s it!”

 

My daddies and mommies have caught up with us and they start to carry the baskets to the tables round the tree.

 

“Papa, can we help?” I ask.

 

“No, you guys go play.” He smiles at me. “You see those monkey bars over there, don’t go further than there, okay?”

 

“Yes papa, come on Chandra!” I grab her hand and we run to the bars.

 

FRANC

 

“One, two th…” Everyone laughs when we hear Gus squeal as he sees his friends.

 

We have commandeered one of the largest trees in the park and have set up some chairs and cushions. I can't help smiling at the Golden Girls crew. I need to speak to dad about them...running their twilight years in the sun by him. We still have Ray’s old house and after the bullshit he told us, it would be a fitting apology. The one thing about Ray is that he’s a size queen, so it’s big enough for the four of them to inhabit without getting in each other’s way...not that I feel it would be a problem.

 

“Hi everyone!” David calls out as he approaches, with Michael. Although David seems to be carrying all the stuff. But it looks like comic books don’t hurt his arm! And once again, he has a sulky expression on his face.

 

“I’m so glad that you worked out your problems, Michael.” Brian calls out.

 

“Us too!” He calls back and starts to make his way over to Brian when he spots that there is a gap next to him.

 

“And you will have problems again, if you keep going in that direction.” Debs calls out and, of course, he pays her no mind and plonks down next to Brian.

 

“How have you been, Brian? No Justin?” He asks, looking around.

 

“At the monkey bars with the kids. Don’t you think that you should help David with the food you two brought?”

 

“Oh he can manage. My arm still hurts a bit.” He replies.

 

“Oh okay. Well I’m going to play with Justin, Sonny Boy and the kids.” Brian gets up and Michael gets up too, starting to follow him. “Where are you going? You can’t come with me to play with them. It’s all monkey bars, swings and swing ball, which if I recall, you were never good at. Besides, we wouldn’t want to hurt your arm any more than it does already.”

 

The indelicate snort came from David so I start to go and help him but Markus stops me by putting his hand on my arm. “Let’s see what Michael does.” He whispers.

 

“I’ll be fine. I need to exercise my arm anyway, don’t I David?” He looks meaningfully at him and David finally nods, then watches Michael scamper like a monk on day release after Brian.

 

“Fuck it up, I believe.” I whisper back.

 

“No Grady! No!” Someone shouts from a distance and the next thing we see is Grady hurtling in our direction and by our direction I mean David’s. Luckily, David has good reflexes and braces for the impact of Grady as he couldn’t get out of the way and he finds himself with an armful of...something or other.

 

“Ooof!” He groans as he lands on his back and is fighting the something or other, who has decided that he likes him a lot. “Get off! Get off of me! Stop! SIT!” He bellows.

 

Grady sits.

 

On David’s stomach.

 

Thumping his tail.

 

“I am so very sorry!” The guy pants as he runs up. “Ridgeback puppy. Just got him and he has no discipline!”

 

“We noticed.” Vic intones dryly. “But who could resist something that looks that cute?! Did you bellow Grady?”

 

“Yes.” The guy turns to David, who is still on the ground but is now stroking Grady’s ears as he decides to settle down on his chest. “Oh, let me help you with him!”

 

“Thanks. How old is he?”

 

“Four months. Come on you terror! Let’s go back and leave these nice people to their day.”

 

“Or you could sit down, introduce yourself and have a beer?” George suggests.

 

“No I…”

 

“At the risk of sounding dictatorial...sit!” George orders.

 

“Yes sir! Andrew, as in my name is and this, as you know, is Grady.”

 

BRIAN

 

I am holding Justin and Gus’s hands as we head back to join the others. Justin is so going to pay, very slowly, for hanging upside down on the monkey bars and letting me discover that he has a nipple ring. Obviously, I’ve seen his nips plenty of times but never noticed the piercing; he never wore the earring in it. It took every-thing not to drag him into the bushes for just five minutes!

 

Michael ended up sitting on a bench as we played with the kids. Hunter was in the sandbox doing a sandcastle making competition. Emmy was painting toenails. Ben was being the Gruffalo and reading stories and now food calls.

 

I’m unsurprised when we get back and discover we have acquired more people! “So who’s new and who’s who?” I laugh and swift introductions are made.

 

“Okay people, time to feed the kiddies!” Debs orders and soon we have a crowd of happy chattering children.

 

FRANC

 

“Where did all these other people come from?” Michael finally notices.

 

“Osmosis.” I retort.

 

Soon the parents are eating and swapping contacts to arrange playdates.

 

“Oh no, he’s coming back!” Carl laughs and I look where he is looking. Seeing Grady rushing towards us and, I think, David is shouting behind him.

 

“Everyone! Form a defensive line!” Carl shouts and all the adults, well mostly, form a barricade around the food and the children. Grady is going full pelt and still has no concept of brakes as he attempts to slow down but then picks up speed and carries on past us, followed swiftly by David.

 

“Be right back!” He hollers.

 

“Daddy, what was that?” Gus asks.

 

“I honestly don't know.” Brian replies.

 

And then we hear a howl of...something.

 

“Oh no! Not the fountains!” A guy shrieks and runs passed us. “David! David! Are you guys okay?!”

 

We wait for a long ten minutes before we see the shrieking guy coming back with a puppy on a leash, who looks pleased with itself and a soaking wet David! Nobody says a word as David squelches towards us wringing out his clothes as best he can.

 

“David, what the hell happened?!” Michael exclaims.

 

“Grady went to the fountains but came to a stop. I didn't...ran right through on pure momentum alone. Does anyone have a towel?”

 

“Here.” Alexandra, a new friend, hands him one.

 

“It’s okay. You can all laugh now.” He smiles and starts to chuckle. “As soon as I saw the fountains, I knew what was going to happen. It was like a slow-mo movie! If I tried to stop myself I would've face planted and slid across. Continuing to run at least gave me the semblance of dignity.”

 

Michael suddenly remembers he has a boyfriend and goes to help him, especially when he notices shrieking guy trying to wring out parts of David’s shirt.

 

“And you are?” He demands frostily, batting the guys hands away.

 

“Andrew, I own Grady…”

 

“Who you clearly can't control! Come on David, let me help you with…”

 

“No thanks, I’m fine.” He retorts and starts to go through his pockets. “Oh fu...flimflam, my phone! It must be in the fountains still!”

 

“Let's go and check!” Andrew orders and they take off running with Grady, Michael looking resentfully at their retreating backs.

 

Fifteen minutes later, they are back although they seem to be bickering.

 

“Did you find it?” Randolph asks.

 

“Yes, it got a bit waterlogged but I’m sure it's salvageable…”

 

“It’s Grady's fault; I should replace the phone.”

 

“I agree. And maybe some obedience …” Michael pipes up.

 

“Well I don't.” David cuts him off. “He’s a puppy that doesn't know any better…”

 

“He could learn.” Michael snarks.

 

You haven't.” David retorts and surreptitious and surprised looks abound.

 

David, you need to get out of those wet things!” Vic orders. “I have a pullover you could wear…”

 

‘Vic, it's fine. Ross Park Mall is not too far I can go and buy some…”

 

“No, I am going to buy and no arguing mister!” Andrew declares before pulling at David’s collar. “Okay got it and now for the pants…”

 

“Excuse me! You are not…” Michael begins, only to be cut off yet again!

 

“Of course I’m not! That would be rude and boundary crossing to his boyfriend, which I assume he has, though he doesn't seem to be here. I was going to ask him to tell me his size.”

 

Michael is slack jawed in disbelief and it almost hits Earth's core when David leans across and quietly tells him what he wants to know.

 

“Be back soon.” Andrew smiles and then looks at Grady being petted by the children. “Can you keep an eye? Him and malls don't work well.”

 

“Sure. In fact, don't the kids have their swim things? Since I’m already wet, shall I take those who want to down to the fountains?”

 

Gus and Chandra come haring over. “Please! Please!” They beg.

 

“David, are you sure?” Brian asks.

 

“Absolutely. Come on you two! Anyone else?!”

 

Soon he’s like the Pied Piper with a trail of children behind him. “Be back in an hour!” He shouts back and is soon gone.

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe he treated me like that! I have done everything to be accommodating to his whims! I look across at Brian and once again, no sign of Blonde Ass so I’m about to head over to sit next to him when Uncle Vic stops me.

 

“Leave them be.”

 

Them?” I query.

 

“Just because you can’t see him, doesn’t mean he’s not there.” He nods in their direction again and now I see Blonde Ass. He has his head in Brian’s lap and they seem to be dozing but are holding hands.

 

“Come sit with us and vent your frustrations.”

 

His grip doesn’t give me a choice and I find myself sitting with him, Uncle Rodney, Randolph and whatever his boyfriend’s name is.

 

“So why is there trouble in paradise so early?” Uncle Vic asks.

 

“Because David is being totally unreasonable! He says one thing and means another. What happened is…” So I tell them the entire story leading up until now.

 

“If you did that to me, you would’ve been out that night!” Uncle Rodney snaps.

 

“He said I could move in!” I object.

 

“So you did so when he wasn’t there? Strike one! Then you brought back something he told you that he didn’t want in his house. Strike two! And then, the piece de resistance, you use your arm exercises as a reason to follow Brian around like a little lost puppy. Yeah... that’s pretty much strike three and you are out!”

 

“Oh stop being so melodramatic, Uncle Rodney! David only knows us, and…”

 

“Is making friends hand over fist as evidenced now.” Randolph points out. “And why, by the way, are you here bitching to us instead of trying to fix the fuck up you made? By that, I mean with David and the kids. You don’t have to go in but you could be there.”

 

“He doesn’t want me there. Him flirting with that dog-guy was just so disrespectful!”

 

“Pots and kettles, Michael. Pots and kettles!” Uncle Vic tells me.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“It means you are disrespecting David by trying to get between Brian and Justin…”

 

“I am not trying to get between them. I am trying to spend time with…”

 

“My best friend.” They all chorus.

 

“Here's a newsflash for you, Michael.” Randolph’s boyfriend glares at me. “He has a best friend and after the shit you pulled, it isn't you. And if you don't pull your head out of your ass, you won't have a boyfriend either!”

 

I roll my eyes and get up. “Just because you're old, doesn't make you wise!” I snap, pretty pleased with myself for coming up with that.

 

“And just because you think you’re cute, doesn't mean your shit don't stink!” He snaps back and the rest of them laugh.

 

“I’m going to…”

 

“Michael!” Ma calls out, saving me from trying to come up with a snazzy comeback.

 

“Run crying and bitching to your mother instead of owning your shit...yes we know.” Uncle Vic sighs and they go back to talking amongst themselves.

 

I stomp over to Ma and she just stares at me. “Are you going to rip into me too?”

 

“I am, but not about David. If you ever speak to any of them like that again, I shall tear a hole in your ass so big you could fit a canon up there! Understand?” She growls and I nod. “And what have you done to Gus that he's calling you Mr and not uncle?”

 

“I don't know! I haven't seen him since Saturday. Thanks for reminding me. I must ask Brian what's up with that…” I turn to the tree they were sleeping against and they're not there, I look around and can’t see them. “Where’s…”

 

“Walking Ruby.”

 

“She’s just a baby…”

 

“She’s their daughter and they’re giving Mel and Leda time with each other. Now sit down and eat!”

 

I take some food and stomp over to the tree to sit down. Ma just shakes her head and goes back to talking to Carl. I start to eat and wait for them to come back.

 

“Michael! Michael!” Someone is shaking me and I open my eyes and find myself staring at Emmett. “Come on, we’re packing up now.”

 

I look round and sure enough people are leaving the park. “Where’s David?” I ask, rubbing my eyes.

 

“He went about an hour ago. Despite his change of clothes, Debs ordered him to get himself warmed up with a nice hot bath.”

 

“Why didn't he wake me?!” Emmett shrugs. “Can you drop me off at his place?”

 

“You help with clean-up first and then I drop.” He replies briskly.

 

DAVID’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

DAVID

 

I hear his key in the door and put down my paper. He stomps in looking furious.

 

“How could you just leave me like that?!”

 

“I was starting to get a chill and Debs sent me home.”

 

“Is that all you have to say?”

 

“Is there anything else to say? Now I don't know about you, but I'm tired. I have an early start and a heavy workload tomorrow. So I’m going to bed.”

 

“David, the guy in the park…”

 

“Andrew. What about him?”

 

“Didn't you think him manhandling you in front of me like that was disrespectful?”

 

“No more than you using your arm exercises as a reason to stick with Brian.” He sighs crossly and folds his arms. “But look you can fold them now with no problem; this morning you could barely hold a spoon.” I get up and walk past him. “We need to be out of here by seven sharp...”

 

I don't look around to see if he's following. When I get to the bedroom, I smile at the clothes Andrew bought for me. The realisation that I have had more fun in two hours with him, Grady and everyone else than I have had with Michael since we met, hits me hard. I know it’s silly and all to do with my pride, but I am going to give it one more chance...just one.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly. Thanks