- Text Size +

CHAPTER 55 - PUSHING BACK, GETTING COMFY AND PARTY PLANNING

 

DAVID

 

You are just tired! I have repeated this to myself three times, but no I’m not...I’m being manipulated!

 

I head downstairs and my ire increases when I see him helping himself to the cookie and it looks like he’s going to open the wine! “Michael stop!” He jumps out of his skin and drops the cookie he was eating on the floor. “What are you doing with that?!”

 

“I was going to open it so that we could have it with dinner.”

 

“And what is for dinner?” I demand, taking the gift basket and wine out of his reach. I then hand him the dustpan and brush.

 

“Well I was going to order take-out to be delivered in time for you to get out of the bath. What do you want?”

 

“Nothing. I shall order when I get out. After you sweep that up, I shall bid you goodnight and see you on Friday evening.”

 

“Uh. Are you asking me to leave?”

 

“No. I'm telling you to leave!” I take a few calming breaths. But that doesn’t help! “And before you go, I want my key back!”

 

“What for?! Where has this come from?!”

 

“It has come from it being fucking Wednesday! You leaving a message, knowing I wouldn't get to it in time to say no and then helping yourself to my gift basket without asking!”

 

“David! Calm down! It’s just a cookie!”

 

“No it's a metaphor! You helping yourself to other people’s things without even asking! You didn't last a week! Keys, now!”

 

He scrambles for his ring and starts to pull it off. “Michael stop, keep the keys. Just go, I am hungry and tired…”

 

“Would you make up your mind?! I’m going and right now, I’m not sure about Friday! I get you flowers, which you haven't thanked me for, and try to do something nice and you rip into me!”

 

“Fine Michael, do what is best for you. Call me if you want me to pick you up.” I say tiredly.

 

When he slams the door behind him, I pull out my phone and put in a reminder to call a locksmith in the morning.

 

DINER - AN HOUR LATER

 

DEBS

 

“What happened?” I ask as he flings himself into the booth.

 

“I went round to David's to make him a special meal... well order take-out, after his long day. He completely flipped over me taking a cookie from a gift basket!”

 

“It’s Wednesday.” Vic turns around from counter to face us. “Thought your time with David in the condo runs over the weekend from Friday evening.”

 

“It is but he had a bad day with him being in surgery all afternoon…”

 

“So no lunch, either?” I sigh.

 

“No, I didn't get to see him until he queened out.”

 

“You were sitting on his front step eating his cookies? I would be upset too.” Vic shakes his head and I scowl.

 

“No, of course not. I used my key and was waiting for him inside. He brought the gift basket in with him.”

 

“George is right! You really do think you can coast on cuteness alone.” Vic drains his mug and puts down some money. “And I bet you see this as him being unreasonable?”

 

“Well of course, I do! In fact, I might not see him on Friday at all!” He pouts, crossing his arms and looks at us for confirmation that this is the right course of action, then frowns. “Who the fuck is George?!”

 

“George is Randolph’s companion. You know... the guy who you were completely disrespectful to at the picnic. And speaking of Randolph, he is the patriarch of the Charles-Prince family and they, none of them, have got to where they are by forgetting who owes them!”

 

Owes them?!

 

“But you do what you think is....” Vic starts to put on his coat.

 

“What do you mean owes them, Vic?” The look on their faces speaks volumes. “Out with it!”

 

“Seabird is billing Michael for the clean-up of the business centre after he trashed it.” Vic replies, ignoring the pleading look from Michael.

 

“Honey, you get yourself home and give my love to Rodney. Oh wait, Ems was in and said to call him about the bachelor party.”

 

“I’m way too old for a bachelor party!” He laughs.

 

“No you’re not. Call Ems!” I order and he walks out, nodding.

 

“So when were you going to tell me about the bill?” I demand, sitting next to him, effectively blocking him from escaping my questions. Michael is nothing if not predictable.

 

“I had hoped that they would…” He starts.

 

“How much is it?”

 

It’s very quick but there’s a flicker. “$2000.”

 

“You have more than that in savings. Pay them!” I order and his face falls. Yeah you fucked it up, you pay for it. The Bank of Ma is closed! “And as for David, he’s not Brian…”

 

“Of course he’s not! That’s…”

 

“Let me finish. He’s not Brian and as evidenced will not put up your antics…”

 

“Antics?” He gapes.

 

“Yeah, antics. You no longer have a key to the loft and…”

 

“I’m getting my key back!”

 

“No! No you won’t be getting your key back.”

 

“Well not now obviously because he and Justin are using it. But when they are done with what they are doing, I will get it back!”

 

I get up and shove my hands hard in my pocket to stop myself from giving him a smack upside the head...again. “Michael, in the highly unlikely event of them being done, you still won’t get the key back. And as for David, you need to understand that two cataclysmic rows in less than a month doesn’t bode well!”

 

He shrugs and gets up. “I still say he overreacted.”

 

“Of course, he did.”

 

“I’m going to call Brian and get his opinion on it. We’re both new to the dating scene.”

 

“He’s in Connecticut with Justin. They're doing another pitch together.”

 

This bring him to a halt. “Why is Justin working for him again?”

 

“Because the client asked for the guy who did the boards for Seabird.” Franc answers as she slides into the booth. “And that was Justin. And you need to sit down, Michael.” He glares at her but does as he’s told. “You need to pay the $1000 restitution bill. We’ve waited long enough for it.”

 

“Okay, I will pay it tomorrow.” He goes to get up and I push him back down and sit next to him.

 

“Do you have your iPad on you, Franc?” At first, she frowns but she catches on quickly. Smiling, she pulls it out of her bag and unlocks it. “Logon to your account, Michael and pay her now.”

 

No prizes for fucking guessing where that extra $1000 would’ve gone if I gave him the money!

 

OUTSIDE NORSE GOD ENTERPRISES, CONNECTICUT - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

TED

 

“So I take it we won’t be seeing you guys for the rest of the day?!” I shout out, laughing as Brian is dragged to the cab by Justin.

 

“Absolutely not!” Justin yells back, shoving Brian in.

 

“So Cyn, shall we go to lunch to celebrate yet another client for Kinnetic?”

 

“Lead the way.” She links arms with me. “They work well together, don’t they?”

 

“In every way…” She frowns. “He challenges Brian emotionally, physically and intellectually, which is why there will never be anything other than an unfinished handjob for Michael…”

 

“Ted!” She shrieks and shivers. “Ugh! We’re about to eat! But as a matter of interest, when was that?”

 

“When they were 14. But the way Michael brings it up sometimes, you’d think it was yesterday.”

 

“Maturity wise, it most probably was for him. He’s mentally barely out of his teens after all! But then again, even that’s debatable.”

 

“Oh very good!” I snicker.

 

DELAMAR GREENWICH HARBOUR HOTEL

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

“My clever and talented...oh what’s the word I’m looking for, oh that would be it...fiancé, well done you!”

 

“I just did what you told me to do.” He sighs into my chest. “How do you do that all the time?”

 

“What do you mean?” I tilt his chin up.

 

“You go after clients like a shark. Don’t get me wrong... watching you work...actually watching you do anything...is hot. It’s the laser like focus; the ability to envision the progression of a campaign or seduction even while in its beginning stages. The way you’re twelve steps ahead of any objection or reservation your client or lover may have at the moment... how do you do it all the time?”

 

“It’s just the way I work I guess. Now can we celebrate…” I drop my head as that all too familiar, but not heard in awhile, ringtone blasts round the room. “I knew it wouldn’t take long.” He frowns. “Debs told me that he and David had a blow-up and…”

 

“Answer it.” Justin instructs with a small smile.

 

“Michael…” I sigh and put him on speaker. “How are you?”

 

“Fine.” He sounds put upon and pauses.

 

“Great. Was that it? I have just come from a client meeting and need to do some post-present…”

 

“No, that’s not it! David and I had a row and I don't know if I should see him tonight.”

 

“Who needs to…” I trail off as Justin closes the curtains and puts the do not disturb sign on the door. “...needs to apologise to whom?”

 

“I think he needs to apologise to me.”

 

He puts some soft music on.

 

“He completely ripped into me after I bought him flowers!”

 

He starts to sway and strip...with his back to me, starting with his tie.

 

“He even asked for his key back! But he must have realised how wrong he was because he changed his mind.”

 

His tie flutters to the floor and he starts on his belt, slowly pulling it through the loops.

 

“And all because I went to his place on a Wednesday and had a cookie!”

 

He's taking off his cufflinks and pulling his shirt out of his pants, covering his delicious ass.

 

“Well what should I do? You and I are both at the same stage in this dating game... you know, dating virgins.

 

He blows a kiss over his shoulder then his shirt slithers to the floor.

 

“So what do you and Justin do after you two fight?”

 

He slides his hands into his open pants and shimmies them slowly down...revealing he has gone commando!

 

“Brian, what do you do?”

 

I hang up.

 

DAVID’S CONDO - FRIDAY EVENING

 

DAVID

 

What a week! I head inside grateful for the peace.

 

“Spoke too soon.” I grumble as Michael’s hotline rings. “Hello Michael. Now? It’s just that I’ve just gotten in and...can't you take a cab if you want to come? I really don't think I should drive as I’m so tired. No, I was going to have a lie in tomorrow. Okay, call me when you're about five minutes away as I’m going to lock up and can't guarantee I will be awake.”

 

I close my eyes and curse my prideful weakness for not changing the locks...just rip off the bandage, I think to myself. Yeah, I will tomorrow!

 

I head to the kitchen and spot the note from Manny, telling me he’s got rid of all that meatloaf and restocked the freezer with my favourite foods. And even better, there’s a noodle salad in the fridge. He has also put the cookies from Grady in a tin in a cupboard right at the top so Michael can’t reach it. Not sure how Manny did, as he’s not that much taller, but I like that he did it!

 

“Thanks Manny.” I sigh then grab the salad and a cookie for dessert.

 

MICHAEL

 

The cab that I called is late, I call them again and they assure me that they are five minutes away. By the time they turn up, ten minutes later, I am in a bad mood! The traffic doesn’t help and a journey that should take about 40 minutes takes almost an hour and fifteen. Now I am standing outside David’s condo, banging on the door so he can let me in. I did as I was instructed and called him when I was five minutes away, but it seems he’s gone back to sleep again!

 

Finally, he opens the door! “You went back to sleep, didn’t you?” I give a tight smile.

 

“Yeah, said there was a danger of that. Sorry.”

 

“For what?” I call after him as he heads to the lounge.

 

“Falling asleep, couldn’t help it. I’m so tired but enough about that. How was your day?”

 

“Enough...it was fine. Have you eaten?”

 

“Yeah, noodle salad. What about you?”

 

“No, I was hoping to eat with you. I’ll just heat up the meatloaf.”

 

“No meatloaf. It went mouldy so Manny threw them out.”

 

I pause on my way to the kitchen and come back into the lounge. He’s stretched out on the sofa, his eyes have drifted closed. Which I am pleased about because he can’t see the fucked off expression on my face...I absolutely hate noodle salad!

 

“David, why not go up? We can have a proper conversation about this tomorrow. You’re much too tired to do so now.”

 

“Hmm. Uh oh yeah, think I will. Goodnight.”

 

Goodnight?! What am I supposed to do? Sleep on the sofa?!

 

Once he’s gone upstairs, I call for a pizza!

 

DAVID’S BEDROOM - SATURDAY MORNING

 

DAVID

 

God, I needed that sleep! I look at the clock and its 1030; I slept for a solid 12 hours. I look across at Michael sleeping with a comic on his chest, like a comforter. Grimacing at the image that conjures up of comics in every room, I get up and go to freshen up before changing into my exercise gear. I need some fresh air and I haven’t done any exercise since the picnic, though that was more fun than fitness. I leave him a note and head out.

 

GEORGE SCHICKEL’S MANSION - SAME TIME

 

DINING ROOM

 

RANDOLPH

 

Hmm, George has had that little smirk on his face for a week now. It’s the same one I have when I’m plotting.

 

“Oh Rose, what are you up to?”

 

He regards me over his glasses. “Up to nothing. Nope, nothing at all.” I chuckle and drum my fingers on the table in mock impatience. “Oh alright! Come on, let’s go sit outside. It’s a nice day, Dorothy.”

 

As we head to the garden, I remember Franc’s advice: when at home, make sure you can feel the ground beneath your feet. At first, I didn’t get it but now I see what she means. George is wiggling his toes in the grass and he looks so content. Looking at my feet in their fancy slippers, I take a deep breath and slip them off.

 

“Ah finally, they are off!” He chuckles. “Could you be getting a little more comfortable?”

 

“Just a bit.” I smile at him. “But back to your plotting Rose, no getting out of it.”

 

“I’ve just been doing a little bit of behind the scenes matchmaking that’s all.”

 

“Really? Who and who? Though I think I can guess…”

 

“Go on try.”

 

“David and that nice young man, Andrew.” He pokes his tongue out at me then nods. “Ah, so what have you done so far?”

 

“Sent David a gift basket ostensibly from Grady by way of apology.”

 

“Oh what little devils we are!”

 

“How so?”

 

“I was thinking the same thing and was trying to form my own plan d’amour. But first, tell me what your next move would be. I am assuming that we know nothing about Andrew, except that he has a rather cute puppy called Grady.”

 

“Precisely, so unless they swapped numbers, I’m not sure what to do.”

 

“And we can’t find that out without alerting suspicion.” I sigh but then grin. “But I know a man who can!”

 

Twenty minutes later, we are feeling reassured that Emmy will get Manny to find out!

 

DAVID’S CONDO - TWO HOURS LATER

 

DAVID

 

Oh I feel so much better having had that run! As I make my way to the kitchen, I spot Manny in the garden nodding and grinning. He waves at me while finishing off his call.

 

“You’re back. Did you have a good run?” Michael looks up from his bowl of cereal.

 

Cereal at lunchtime...so that means he’s not been up long!

 

“Yes, it was great. You should come with me next time.”

 

He shakes his head. “Not a fan of running, prefer to go to the gym and now that I have my cast off, I’ll get back to doing that.”

 

Of course you will...not!

 

“So what are we up to this weekend?” I ask, trying not to balk as he scratches his stomach and pushes the bowl to one side before catching my look and putting it in the dishwasher.

 

“Not sure. I need to check with Ma where we are eating tomorrow. As in round at hers or at Britin.”

 

“It definitely won’t be Britin. They don’t come back until Sunday evening and the girls are looking forward to having the place and the kiddies to themselves.”

 

He looks astonished. “How do you know all that?”

 

“Mel mentioned it at the picnic. Hi Manny, when did you get here?”

 

“About an hour ago. Want something to eat before you go and have a shower?” He smiles at me.

 

“Please, just something light. Michael, why don’t you go use it first? Then we can plan our weekend when we’re both done.”

 

“Okay, won’t be long. I’d quite like to go to Ross Park Mall and then maybe dinner afterwards?”

 

“Yeah that’s good. I have to replace my shoes and this is the first chance I’ve had.”

 

He nods and heads upstairs and as soon as I can hear the shower running, I dash back to the kitchen. Manny already has the tin down and is grinning at me. “Just to keep you going until I finish cooking your meal…” I snicker round a mouthful of crumbs. “So where did you get these from? He asks, handing me some milk.

 

“Oh you don’t know about me and the fountain, do you?”

 

“Fountain? Do tell.” He sits down and pats the chair next to him. By the time I finish telling him, we are both shaking with laughter. “Were there pictures of this spectacle?!”

 

“No, thank God! So he bought me some dry clothes and Grady sent cookies.”

 

“And where did he get the cookies from?” I frown and then ponder some more. “David?”

 

“I’ve got the card in my office. But now you mention that, it’s odd because I didn’t tell him where I worked so how did he know to send it there?”

 

MANNY

 

Oh fuck! Oh fuck! Think! Think! “Maybe…”

 

“Knowing Debs she would’ve given him chapter and verse within minutes. She’s rather gregarious like that!” He laughs.

 

And breathe!

 

“Oh crap, he’s going to think I’m so rude!” He exclaims.

 

“Why? Calm down and explain!”

 

“Because I never said thank you! I must ring him and…”

 

“David...stop and sit down. Let me take the blame?” I smile winningly.

 

“You take the blame? How?”

 

“I can be your PA and explain it was my fault that the apologies weren’t forthcoming because you were so busy in surgery…” He bites his lip. “And that’s not a lie…” I cajole.

 

“Are you serious? You’d do that?”

 

“David, you are a nice guy! Of course, I would! Now give me the details and let me go play PA!”

 

“Okay, be right back!” He practically sprints to wherever it is he has it and is back in seconds.

 

“David?!” Michael calls down and he walks to the foot of stairs.

 

No! Give me the card first and then answer the call of the manchild!

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Shower’s free!” He replies.

 

“Okay, coming now!”

 

“Uh David!” I almost scream and he looks startled. “Sorry, shut finger in the drawer.” I suck dramatically and point at the card in his hand.

 

“Oh yes. Thank you Miss Moneypenny!” He hands it over and goes upstairs, quietly chortling.

 

I almost sag against the counter in relief and then snatch my phone up. “Emmy...I got it! And if he asks, tell him that Debs told Andrew where he works! Sending the picture to you now!”

 

GEORGE’S MANSION - AN HOUR LATER

 

GARDEN

 

RANDOLPH

 

He’s smiling and giving me the thumbs up. I pour a glass of red for us each and wait for him to finish his call.

 

“So?”

 

“Got the details. An absolute marvel that man! So what’s our next plan of campaign?” He asks sipping his wine. “Oh, this is good.”

 

“We have to work a way of getting them in the same place without them realising that neither of them asked the other to be there.”

 

“How?”

 

“I’m 90 and you, my sweet Rose, are throwing me a lovely party, here, and inviting family and friends. He’s a friend now, isn’t he?”

 

“Oh yes, he most definitely is! But how do I explain the invitation?”

 

“What does he do? For a living, I mean. Apart from make David’s heart pitter-pat.”

 

“Pitter-pat, you think so?” He looks hopeful. “After Ray and now Michael, the man needs a love break! As for what he does he’s a...oh he hardly looks the type!”

 

“What?”

 

“He’s an interior designer.”

 

“Oh interesting, very interesting.” I think for a while before a smile starts to spread across my face. “I’ve not seen his place, but I know that Emmy said the kitchen is a little tired and the outer area could use some work. I think we need to call on Emmy’s little friend to plant an idea or two…”

 

“Oh nice! But how does that get him to the party if it does work? Knowing him, he would want to keep it above board and professional!”

 

“Drat, that’s true!” I pout for a bit, much to his amusement. “Well there’s always your kitchen instead?”

 

“My kitchen? What’s wrong with my kitchen? I’ve only just had it done!” He looks indignant.

 

“Don’t go actual Rose on me, Georgie! I mean pretend you want it done and it just so happens to be a happy circumstance that the appointment is on the same day as the party and you insist that he stays and joins us…”

 

“But won’t Mr. Whiny be with him?”

 

“Oh don’t worry about him. I have the perfect distraction…”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Not a what but a whom.” I raise my glass to my lips and pause. “He’s family, after all; it would be churlish for me not to invite him.”

 

“Whom?” He demands and then his eyes widen. “You’re not serious?! Oh my God, that is deliciously simple and devilish!

 

“Oh yes, having both Ray and Michael in the same room vying for his attention will have David running to that safe haven called Andrew in no time!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.