- Text Size +

CHAPTER 59 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GUS! HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDOLPH! LET’S PARTY...PART 1

 

BRITIN - FRIDAY, AN HOUR LATER

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

“Thank you for your understanding, Mr Reinhard. I have two, he’s 5 on Sunday and she’s almost three months. Okay, it will be myself, Ted Schmidt, Cynthia Moore. Unfortunately, Justin Taylor won't be able to join us. He has another engagement that can't be moved. See you Wednesday.”

 

“What engagement?” He looks up from feeding Ruby.

 

“You’re feeding her. And I know you want to work on Gus’s mural and catch up on your business. You’ve been great but it’s time to put a rocket up the art department’s asses.” He grins and nods before adjusting Ruby to burp her. “Can't believe how much she’s grown.”

 

“Scoot forward.” I settle behind him. “Me neither. This will be my last trip for a while.”

 

“You okay?” He looks worriedly at me.

 

“Yeah, just want to stay at home for a couple of months. Ted and Cyn can handle anything that comes up.”

 

“Good. I miss Gus and Ruby and our date nights.”

 

“Me too.”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

BEDROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

I look skeptically at my wardrobe and sigh. I need a fuck-you-David outfit and these aren't saying that. I think a shopping trip is called for. I smirk and grab my phone...and I know just the man to help me get it. It takes ages for him to pick up. “Finally! Hey Brian. Oh Justin, it’s you... where's Brian? Bathing Ruby?! Well can’t you do that while I talk to him? I need him to come shopping with me tomorrow so I can...well I think Brian gets to decide whether he goes shopping with me or not, don’t you? Just get him to call me back!” I hang up the phone, pissed at that little shit’s audacity. It really is time for the blond to go! I mean, he’s not necessary anymore since David is gone now, right?

 

I sigh and look again in my wardrobe, thinking that at least I have shoes. Brian always says to find one thing and go from there. Just as I reach for them, my phone goes and it’s Brian.

 

“Michael, what’s up?”

 

“Just wanted to check in with my best friend and arrange for us to go shopping tomorrow. I need to get Gus a present and your excellent guidance for an outfit.”

 

“No can do. We’re going to be setting up for the party tomorrow.”

 

“Oh well...okay, how about tonight, then?”

 

“We’ve just gotten back from Chicago and we're going to pick up Gus from school in an hour.”

 

“Which is why I said tonight, as in late night shopping.” I say tightly.

 

“No Michael. Now we’ve got to go. See you tomorrow.”

 

He hangs up before I can say anything else. “Don't see why Justin can't pick up Gus by himself.” I grumble before grabbing my jacket, wallet and keys and heading to the mall.

 

OUTSIDE GUS’S SCHOOL - AN HOUR LATER

 

GUS

 

I’m making sure that all my friends are still coming tomorrow. Mr Lodge is coming as well! Christopher is looking funny at me and starting to smile so I turn around to see what he’s looking at...Daddies! My daddies are walking towards me! I run to meet them.

 

“You're home! I thought you weren't coming home until tonight!”

 

“We weren't but changed our flights so we could come and pick you up.” Papa laughs after I cover him in kisses like I did for daddy.

 

“So do you want to go straight home, to the diner or…”

 

“Or what, daddy?”

 

“Well since it’s your birthday party, it is customary for there to be a birthday outfit.”

 

“Is it indeed?” Papa is smiling at daddy.

 

“Yes, it is now. And Ruby needs an outfit too.” Daddy has pink cheeks.

 

“Okay, let’s go shopping for Gus and Ruby then. Is that okay, Gus?” Papa asks me.

 

“Yes papa! Are we going to go to the Ross one?”

 

“The Ross one? Oh you mean the mall. No Sonny Boy, let’s go to Tanger Outlets. There’s a Michael Kors and a Saks Fifth Avenue...what?” Daddy is looking at papa with a silly smile on his face.

 

“Gus and Ruby need clothes...yeah right! Come on you two!”

 

BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

I look at the pile of clothes and then at a slightly pink cheeked Justin. “I thought it was Brian who is the shopaholic?!”

 

“She’ll grow into them. Don’t let Mr Quiet over there snow you. Half of these were picked by him!” He protests, carefully testing each and every piece for scratchiness.

 

“I see. Well now that she’s covered until she’s three clothing wise.... Seriously shoes too! Oh you have to be kidding! Who got her Gucci leather ballet shoes?”

 

Neither of them say a word but Gus is smiling and flicking his eyes at his papa. “Justin! You bought them?” Leda laughs, picking them up. “Oh, but they are so cute! Now onto tomorrow’s activities... Gus, do you want to hear this or would you rather it was a surprise?”

 

He gives it some thought. “I’ll wait...no I want to...oh, I don’t know. What do you think?” He looks round at all of us. “Wait, is it something for me and my friends or it is a grown up something?”

 

“It could be for all of you. Depending on me and your papa?”

 

“On me?” Justin looks up and then seems to get it. “Oh, if it’s what I think it is then you, Gussie, are definitely going to like the surprise.”

 

“Okay papa.” He gives a little snort and hugs himself. “I’m so excited, I could just burst!”

 

“We noticed.” Brian laughs. “Why not go upstairs for your bath and then we’ll read you a story.”

 

“You do the bath daddy and papa does the story?” He looks cheekily hopeful.

 

“Oh no you don’t wee man, you aren’t charming the surprise out of your papa!” Leda chuckles.

 

“Hey, I’m not that easy!” Justin objects.

 

“This from the man who bought Gucci leather ballet shoes for a 3 month old baby to grow into.” Brian intones smugly.

 

“Touché!” Justin giggles.

 

SCHICKEL RESIDENCE - SATURDAY MID-MORNING

 

STUDY

 

GEORGE

 

“Andrew, I can assure you it will be absolutely fine. The area is secure so he can run off any excess energy before you take him home. Alright, we will see you at four, and thank you for accommodating the change in time.” I turn to Randy and grin as I hang up. “There! We’re all set for the party of the century. Although, I am still a bit peeved that Emmett banned us from the kitchen and the party room from last night until party time!”

 

He smiles before a look of sadness clouds his face. “You’re dwelling; stop that.”

 

“I know. But there are times I just think why can’t he do it? He’s my grandson and has absolutely no…”

 

“Stop that! He has made his choices. He’s still coasting on the fact that he’s the grandson of the founding chairman. He’s not changed as has been evidenced by the reports you’ve been receiving. Has he even called you since he landed?” He sighs and shakes his head. “If he wasn’t your grandson would he be working where he is?”

 

“No.” He grudgingly admits.

 

“Then he had best be grateful for that!” I stand up and take his hand. “Now come on, let’s go choose our party outfits.”

 

VERI AND RUPERT’S LOFT - AN HOUR LATER

 

RAYMOND

 

“What do you mean where am I going?” I fume. “I am going to get something decent to wear for this party. I’m allowed to do that, aren’t I?”

 

“Of course you are. I was merely making conversation!” Veri snaps back at me. “You’re not a prisoner here!”

 

“Just of the country, since dad won’t give me back my passport. Did you really have to send someone to fetch me from London? And especially her?”

 

“Yes. We did. Have you heard from Ethan? You know the man that walked off with $4 million of your money?” Dad demands

 

“Like I said, I’m going out!” I snarl and slam the door hard behind me. I am still smarting over Ethan’s betrayal and of course, he’s lording it up all over Europe on my dime. It took me weeks to unfriend him on FaceBook. But the authorities have said that since I willingly went into a joint bank account with him, unless I can prove that he coerced the code from me, then they can’t do anything. Never have the words think with the head on your neck not the one you want to stick up some guy’s ass come back to haunt me so badly!

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

God, I don’t know why Brian loves shopping so much! But I got the perfect fuck-you-outfit for today and a truck for Gus. Although, part of me doesn’t actually want to give him a present as he seems to be able to get whatever he wants at a drop of a hat. That will stop when Brian and I are in charge of his discipline. I suspect Blond Ass’s lax parental skills is causing his grabby attitude.

 

It’s another hour till I have to leave although I’m not sure how I am getting there. I might tag along with Ma and her boyfriend. Yeah, I think I will do that. At least that way, I can get a ride and drink a bit. It will be great to finally see Brian as I haven’t seen him in what feels like weeks!

 

DAVID’S CONDO - SAME TIME

 

DAVID

 

Manny is making me laugh, telling me about the godawful date he had last night. He reckons the guy was an eight on the NIS; I spat my wine out when he told me what it stood for. The Novotny Irritation Scale! Turns out that he really couldn’t stand him! When I told him Michael’s version of how he got Brian and Justin together, Manny then told me the other version on the Avenue. I was absolutely appalled, but amazed, that Michael would go to such great lengths since he is without a doubt the laziest man I have ever met. Well, whichever version is true, I am so glad that I finally tore off the bandage! It was time!

 

“Now have you wrapped their presents?” He demands.

 

“Yes.” I bristle.

 

“Let me see them.” He laughs.

 

“I’m going for a rustic approach; they’re just going to rip off the paper anyway.” I grumble as I show them to him.

 

“There is rustic... and then there is ramshackled! How can a man who has healing hands be so bad at wrapping! Lord knows you would have starved to death if you made your living as a gift wrapper in Macy’s. In fact, try not to even wrap a sandwich from now on; the bread might sue you for assault. Well that’s it for you… Go up and have your bath and I will have these tragedies of ribbon, tissue paper and tinsel presentable lickety split.

 

SCHICKEL MANSIONS - AN HOUR BEFORE PARTY STARTS

 

BRIAN

 

Seriously, Emmett and I need to sit down and talk about this man’s talent! The room looks incredible! There are cooking areas, massive cushions dot the garden, and of course, loungers by the pool.

 

KITCHEN

 

I need to find Emmett so we can lock down an appointment, so I head to the kitchen. When I get there I am surprised to find the guy from the park there with his dog, who is straining at the leash.

 

“Uh hi again. Brian, isn’t it?” I nod and shake his hand. “Andrew. And this impatient terror is Grady.”

 

“So what are you doing here?” I ask, patting Grady.

 

“George wants to redo his kitchen. I’m an interior designer.”

 

“Residential only?” My mind is working overtime. There is room over the barn that just sitting there. Maybe he and Justin could look into making something for Ruby and Gus, like a play room when they are older. He nods. “Can I take a number or a card? I have some dead space to utilise.”

 

“Sure. So um, do you know what’s happening?” He indicates the garden but before I can answer, George comes in.

 

“Andrew, so sorry for the delay. Had to answer a call. Right, are we almost done here? I like the ideas you have so far. So do you want to let him run off some steam or shall we talk more?”

 

“Are you sure? It looks like you’ve got something going on there, and I don’t want him to…”

 

“Of course not! Go let him run off for a bit. As for the thing, it’s Randolph’s birthday and he’s having a little joint party with Gus. You remember him, right? He’s 5 and Randolph is 90.”

 

“Wow, he doesn’t look it!” He grins.

 

“Come-come now, release the hound!” George orders and points him in the direction of the French doors. Less than two minutes later, Andrew is pelting down the garden after him yelling at him to stop...

 

“And what are you up to, Mr Schickel?”

 

“Nothing. I have wanted to have my kitchen done for a while…” He grins cheerfully and heads out whistling.

 

“Of course you have.”

 

BRITIN - SAME TIME

 

CARL

 

As I round up all the kids onto the coach, I see a large child sulking in the back. Yes... that would be Michael! He was delighted that we were able to give him a lift; delirious when he realised we were going to Britin. But now he’s desolate because Brian isn’t here! All he has for company is me, Debs, Daphne and Gus, plus all of Gus’s friends. Twenty of Gus’s noisy friends so that is not helping his mood! He keeps glaring malevolently at the parents as if trying to communicate that they should keep them quiet but if it was up to me, he would either stay home or walk. Sadly, that isn’t an option...but it damn well should be.

 

As for everyone else… well Gus’s mommies and daddies, they went ahead with Ruby to get her settled and help with the set up. So at least they are escaping the pestilence of perpetual petulance unhappily ensconced in the back of the bus. Rodney and Vic are getting ready at George’s and staying overnight. With the last bathroom break had, we’re finally off!

 

“Mr Carl, can we sing songs please?!” Chandra calls out.

 

“Like what?” I call back.

 

“Well it can’t be happy birthday as it’s not his birthday yet. How about The Wheels on the Bus…?” One parent suggests while I have to bite my lip and look away as Michael looks like he wants to cry. Is it wrong for me to think what a genius way to torture him; makes me wish for rope and duct tape to keep him in place and quiet?

 

“Sure! Have at it!” And I begin to lead the song in merriment while watching him cringe with every off-key note!

 

VERI AND RUPERT’S LOFT - SAME TIME

 

VERI

 

I swear to God if he looks at me like that one more time, I shall punch his lights out. I can’t wait for him to fuck off back to London!

 

“Ready you two?” Rupert calls out. “Let’s go celebrate with the Golden Girls! And the Golden Child!”

 

“He’s just a sweetheart! Oh, have you got the present?” I wait for Raymond to get his ass out of that seat and go by the door or even better by the car out of smacking distance!

 

“Presents are in the car. Now come on, let’s roll.” Rupert orders.

 

“Oh by the way, what did we get grandfather?”

 

“Veri and I got dad a present. What you got him, I have no idea.” Rupert retorts. He’s as wholeheartedly sick of Raymond as I am!

 

He stomps out glowering and we both roll our eyes.

 

SCHICKEL ESTATE - PARTY TIME!

 

ANDREW

 

Grady has finally been secured after having run all over the estate. It took 90 minutes to get him back here and now he’s in the little kennel just to the side of the pool. He’s drinking noisily but adorably and even has one of the loungers all to himself.

 

I have been roped into helping with the prep and I have to admit, I am glad. Not only because they are genuinely nice people, but it’s nice to have some friends that although they are coupled up aren’t coupley! They’re more like best friends who are life mates and yet still make everyone feel welcomed into their world, not like the spinster sister in a Jane Austen-esque novel. I’m the only single guy in my group of friends and they keep trying to set me up with no-marks and losers! We just want you as happy as we are, they tell me. I have to wonder though how happy they are since they seem to have no idea what I want from a man or what kind of man I would actually give the time of day. That’s what I mean by coupley people.

 

Looking around, I can’t believe that Emmy and Franc did the food between just the two of them! There’s a veritable feast going on. In one part of the garden it is strictly BBQ, where Tomahawk ribeye steaks are waiting to be done.  I’ve already been told that Grady can have the small bone to bury in his backyard; the smallest bone is off of a three pound steak! There’s ma la, apparently very spicy, wings, rostis, dips, pizzas with all kinds of toppings including garlic green and ricotta, burgers of every kind, ribs, salads, noodle salads, two suckling pigs, BBQ lobsters and giant prawns, pasta salads. Then there are the desserts: ice creams, fruit pizzas, adult donuts with rum, fridge cakes and finally birthday cakes for the birthday boys but only for them to have with their nearest and dearest and not for the rest of us. I have to admit that I’m a little jealous having seen the cakes but it’s also quite sweet, especially the one for Randolph. Oh and then there’s the cocktail bars and waiters wandering around. It will truly be an affair to remember just based on this feast alone!

 

George, Emmy and Franc are making sure that everything is okay. We’ve also heard that the kids are twenty minutes away.

 

“Right you, young man have helped enough; time to go be a guest!” Emmy orders and I head off in the direction of Brian and Justin.

 

“And you had the temerity to have a pop at me for the shoes!” Justin is chiding him but Brian looks unrepentant. “Andrew, what do you think?” He turns to me smiling so I know I’m not interrupting a row. “What’s worse? A pair of Gucci leather ballet shoes that Ruby can grow into or what she’s wearing now?”

 

I look at what she’s wearing, and it looks very good on her but I’m not sure what exactly I’m supposed to be looking at. Then I spot it, the Dior on her socks. “Are you telling me that she’s wearing top to toe Dior?” I gasp and Brian looks even more pleased with himself.

 

“Gus is wearing Dior so I don’t see why she can’t.” He strokes her tiny hand.

 

“Gus is wearing Dior? Brian, that’s just impractical!” Justin gripes but again there’s no heat behind it. “Just wait till I get you home, mister! You’re still in so much trouble from the sofa, remember?!” He growls and walks away, chuckling.

 

“Sofa?” I ask.

 

“Trust me, you don’t want to know!” Mel comes up laughing. “They’re here. Gus is fit to bursting; he can’t wait to see the place.”

 

We can hear the laughter and chatter of excitable children as they come through the house but then it all goes completely quiet as they take in everything.

 

Gus looks around in disbelief. “D-daddy! Mommy! Look!” He gasps and takes Mel’s hand. “Can you show me mommy, please?!”

 

“Tell you what why don’t you let Mr George show you and Mr Randolph around as this is his garden.

 

“Are the birthday boys ready?” George asks, linking arms with Randolph and holding out his hand for Gus’s. He takes it and then takes Chandra’s. “Now over here…”

 

Ten minutes later, the children are all begging me to let Grady come and play with them. Laughing, I head over to let him out.

 

BRIAN

 

Ruby is kicking her legs and sucking on her fist. I check that she’s warm enough and lose myself in the scent of my daughter.

 

“Hi Brian!” Michael cries, startling us both.

 

“Michael, how are you?” I ask, adjusting Ruby slightly. My real question is what the hell are you wearing? Don’t get me wrong he looks okay but far too buttoned up for a kid’s party! “You look... different.”

 

“Yeah, it’s my fuck-you-asshole to David.” He looks pleased with himself; he shouldn’t be.

 

“Why?”

 

“You’ve not heard?” I shake my head but it doesn’t take a genius to work out what’s coming next. “I dumped him. I was fed up with the way he was treating me!”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Oh? Is that all you have to say?” He looks surprised and put out.

 

“What else is there to say? You were unhappy, so you did something about it. Well done.” He beams before looking around. “Who are you looking for?”

 

“David. He said he would still be coming, even though I don't think he should.”

 

“Why not? He’s known Franc and her family well before he knew us and Gus invited him personally. As did Randolph…” I laugh as I remember their conversation.

 

“What's funny?”

 

“Gus and Randolph got into a rather spirited debate about sending two invites out.” He frowns and then sighs. “What?”

 

“Nothing. Nothing at all. Where's Justin?”

 

“In the hall over there with Leda and…”

 

“Daddy! Daddy! Have you… oh hello Uncle Michael! Aren't you staying for our party?” Gus asks, frowning.

 

“Yes, I am. Why?”

 

“You don't normally dress like that. You look like Uncle Ted when he's working.” Again, he frowns and sighs. “So daddy, have you seen papa? I want to ask him something.”

 

I look across to the building where Justin and Leda are setting up. I’m waiting for the signal.

 

“Finally, now give her here. It’s grandma and Nana time!” Debs demands and between her and Jennifer, they are unclipping Ruby before I can object. “Is she wearing what I think she’s wearing?” Debs laughs.

 

“Brian. Only you!” Emmy comes over and tickles Ruby under her chin. “Dior, good choice though!”

 

“Daddy?” Gus tugs on my hand. “Have you seen papa?”

 

“What’s with the face, Michael? You look like you have something bad under your nose.” Debs asks and then sniffs Ruby. “Well it isn't this one! She smells of cotton candy and sweetness.”

 

I get the signal from Justin and smile. “Papa is over there in the big building we saw last time, right behind you. Straight to him, he’s by the door. Can you see him?”

 

“Yes daddy, I will. Papa! I gots to talk to you!” He yells running as fast as his little legs in new trainers can.

 

“Perhaps the new trainers were a bad idea.” I chuckle as Mel runs after him with his old ones. “Debs, can you take her in for a bit? Depending on how Gus and his friends react, all hell may be about to break loose!”

 

“Sure honey.”

 

I wait until it’s just the two of us and turn to Michael. “Why were you looking at Gus like that?”

 

“Like what?” He tries to deflect.

 

“Like he had done something naughty?”

 

“Well I didn't want to say anything. But, as his best Uncle, I think he might be getting a little bit, um, spoilt.”

 

I feel my jaw drop open. Is he serious?! This man fucking child is calling my Sonny Boy spoilt! “And how do you work that out?”

 

“Well, he was a bit demanding just now...” He replies, shifting from foot-to-foot. Yeah he’s fucked up and he knows it but unlike a person with sense, he continues on. “...when we were talking. He kept trying to get your attention.”

 

“Oh...you mean the way you do all the time?” Before he can respond, a new voice enters the discussion such as it is.

 

“Like I said before, you pay him no attention, Michael.” David’s voice has an edge. “Gus waited until nobody was speaking before trying to find out where his papa is. Hello Brian, how are you?”

 

“Fine thanks, David. Nice to see you and thank you for defending Gus.”

 

“Where do I put the presents?” He asks.

 

“Oh, let me show you. This way.”

 

MICHAEL

 

What a fucking suck up! I watch them walk back into the house and head to the nearest bar and grab a whiskey. I almost spit it out as Veri and Rupert come in with Raymond! He looks as pissed off as I feel and then I have an idea. Markus comes out and is speaking to Franc and judging by the frosty look she’s just given Raymond, she’s not feeling all that sisterly!

 

“Brian, where is that gorgeous bundle of yours?” Veri calls out.

 

“Which one? The birthday boy is in that building over there and judging by the crowd surrounding Debs, Ruby is over there!”

 

“Oh, then that’s where I’m heading. I need to deal with someone who is actually an infant, not just acting like one!”

 

“Hey sweetie.” Franc calls out to a passing waiter. “You need to stand next to this wonderful lady until she’s smiling again!”

 

“Yes ma’am.” He laughs.

 

I decide to head over to try and make peace with the overreacting Brian. Just as I get there, there is a tapping of a microphone.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen. Ladies and gentlemen. May I have your attention please?!” Blonde Ass calls. “We have an announcement to make... well not me per se, but the birthday boys! But Gus wants his Mr Randolph to speak on behalf of both of them…” There’s a predictable aww for that...Christ, give me a fucking break already!

 

“Good evening everyone, and thank you all for coming to our joint party, which we wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for the kindness of Gus, who is the epitome of sweetness and the source of well-deserved pride of his parents, Brian, Mel, Justin and Leda. I only got this party because he asked if I would like to share his with him, in his words I don’t mind. Now I don’t want this to be a them and us party. So everyone must mingle and to ensure that this happens, Gus has suggested something that he thinks would be one of the funnest things and that’s for all the men to have their face painted of an animal of their choice and the women to have their hands or feet henna tattooed.” I roll my eyes and look around expecting to see similar reactions, but everyone is fucking smiling. “Now without further ado…oh wait a minute; sorry Gus what did you say? Oh I see, of course! Gus would like his daddy and his papa to know its Ruby Time now.”

 

There are murmurs and everyone turns to Brian. He waits for Blond Ass to catch up to him, then Brian takes Ruby away from Ma and goes inside. See what I mean? Fucking spoilt! Gus orders and Brian just does it!

 

“He said he will come and get you.” Randolph calls out. “Now let’s get on with face painting and tattooing!”

 

“Ouch! What the hell Uncle Vic!” I yelp as he slaps me on the back off my head...hard.

 

“How dare you call that little boy spoilt!? Take a good look at yourself, Michael. There is only one spoilt child here and he looks like a badly dressed accountant!”

 

“Never had Brian down as a tattletale.” I gripe, rubbing the back of my head.

 

“He didn’t tattle!” Uncle Vic spits at me. “I heard you say it, but David got to you first! Be grateful that your mother didn’t hear that!”

 

“I did!” She comes up and glares at me.

 

“Oh for god sake! I am allowed to my own opinion and…”

 

“It’s wrong as usual!” Uncle Vic snaps and stalks off.

 

AN HOUR LATER

 

RAYMOND

 

God, this is boring! I refused to have my face painted, claiming sensitivity, but the booze is good. I look across the place and this is gorgeous! I have yet to be introduced to his friend; still can’t believe my grandfather is gay! The children are running around with some dog and I am hungry. The food looks absolutely incredible!

 

“Hello Ray.” I close my eyes before I turn to face the one person for who me being in London is an advantage! I shake myself and paste a smile on my face. “Michael. How nice to see you again.”

 

“How have you been? Where’d you go after we split?” He says the last bit a little too loudly.

 

“I moved to London to take over a division of the company.”

 

“Okay, everyone the face painting and tattooing is finished!” Some guy calls out. “I would like to thank our wonderful artists! And the pool is now open!”

 

Michael and I exchange eye rolls as everyone whoops and hollers, like clapping fucking seals. And then I gasp. Coming out of the house with my dad is David!

 

“Oh my god that’s my ex!” I exclaim.

 

“Mine too!” He answers back and I gape at him. “If you don’t mind me asking, what was he like with you?”

 

“Controlling.” I sigh. “Wouldn’t let me have anything....”

 

“In the house. It had to be all about him; yes I got it was his house but…”

 

“Exactly.”

 

We smirk at each other as David looks across and spots us talking. “Shall we give him something to worry about?” I ask, glaring derisively in his direction.

 

“What do you have in mind?” He grins back with the same malicious gleam in his eye.

 

RANDOLPH

 

Oh, it seems that two of the witches of Macbeth are plotting! Time for phase 2 of our little plan.

 

“Oh Rose, time to, as you say release the hound!” I whisper in his ear and he chuckles.

 

We have made sure that Andrew’s presence here will be a complete surprise to David, which means that there is only one way to do that...and that way is Grady. So Rose is heading to Emmy!

 

“Ladies and gentlemen!” Emmy calls out. “We are going to feed the kiddies first so could you round up your children!”

 

Ten minutes later, I hear the name I have been looking forward to hearing all day!

 

“Grady heel!” Andrew bellows. Grady is barrelling towards our target...David! He is talking to Veri and Rupert and on hearing that name, he turns around in surprise and there it is! The smile!

 

“You know. I don’t think we actually need to do too much, Dorothy.” My Rose takes my hand and gives it a squeeze.

 

DAVID

 

Andrew’s here?! Oh my god Andrew’s here! How?! Why?! Okay, be cool! I watch Grady try to adjust his speed but it’s too late and although he leaps over the fence surrounding the pool it means he sails howling into it...and then takes a while to come back up!

 

Throwing my drink and phone down, I dive in but can’t find him as the water is murky, I surface to take a breath. “You got him?!” Andrew screams.

 

“No!” I shout back diving back under and still can’t find him. I come up again.

 

“There! David! Behind you!” George shouts.

 

I flail behind me and connect with his collar and haul him up just as he seemingly was going under again. I hear a splash and suddenly he’s gone. “Got him! I got him!” My waterlogged ears hear the relief in Andrew’s voice and I swim to the side.

 

People rush to help me out. Then I immediately reach for a shivering Grady and turn him upside down to get rid of the water in his lungs. “Towels!” I shout, slicking as much water off of him as I can. Ten minutes later, he’s wrapped in a towel and licking my face. “You’re very welcome, Grady!” I laugh.

 

“You two…” George interrupts. “Upstairs now and get out of those wet things.”

 

Two? Wet things?

 

I turn around and am looking at a soaking wet, but relieved, Andrew.

 

“They may not be fashionable but they will be dry.” Randolph starts to shepherd us to the house.

 

“Mr George! Can me and my friends talk to you please?!” Gus calls out.

 

GEORGE

 

“Of course Gus. What is it?”

 

“Mr David was very brave, wasn’t he?” Gus asks and I nod. “Can we draw some hero pictures for him?”

 

“Yes, I think that’s a lovely idea. Let me get some things.”

 

As I head inside, I then realise I haven’t seen Michael and Raymond for a while. “Wonder what they are up to?” I mutter to myself. I find what I need and head outside.

 

MICHAEL

 

“We have to make it convincing! I mean more convincing than the last time.” He tells me.

 

“Yes we do! So how did we reconnect?” I ask Raymond.

 

“First, when did you start seeing him?”

 

EMMY

 

We have done ourselves really proud! Ben is coming towards me with a Cosmo and Franc. “Enough now! You two have done enough. If the staff need anything, they can come to you.”

 

“We concur.” Randolph comes up, smiling. “You have done such a wonderful job, my darling granddaughter and dear friend but that now stops. Look what you’ve done.”

 

Brian has commandeered the meat and wings area with Carl and Markus. Justin is on fish with Rupert and Chandra’s dad. Hunter, Nathan and Daphne are looking after the kids. Debs, Jen and Veri are on salads; everyone is helping and orchestrating.

 

“How long till the steaks and wings?” I call out.

 

“About another half hour. Start on the salads, I think!” Carl calls back.

 

“Oh, where are David and Andrew?” I ask mischievously.

 

“George is now on sartorial selection. Apparently, I was a little too fuddy duddy!” He mock glowers.

 

Within an hour, food is ready and everyone is helping themselves to heaving piles of it. Well, almost everyone... Michael and Raymond aren’t here. But Andrew and David have come back out and although they aren’t sitting together, they do keep looking at each other. I wink at Dorothy and Rose.

 

“Finally! We are ordering take out tomorrow!” Brian laughs as he and Justin join us.

 

I can’t help but gawp at the plate that Justin has...correction, I mean platter. “It’s for all three of us!” He points out.

 

“Three of you?” I query.

 

“Gus took one look at the adult food and wanted to share.” Brian snickers.

 

“Brian, this is what I meant earlier. Just because he wants it doesn’t necessarily mean he should have it!” Michael comes over holding hands with Raymond! Oh what stupidity is he up to now?!

 

“Gus, can you come here a second?!” Brian calls out and he comes running up, barefoot.

 

“Yes, daddy?”

 

“Are your feet hurting Sonny Boy?” He nods. “Where are your new trainers?”

 

“Grandma has them, daddy. Shall I put my other trainers on?”

 

“Yes please, but not yet. I need to ask you something. What have you had to eat since you got here?”

 

“Some salad and fruit daddy. Papa said that if I wanted to share, I couldn’t eat too much beforehand...just enough to tidied me over.”

 

Tide. Tide you over. Well the steaks are done now. Do you want to eat here or with your friends?”

 

“Friends please, daddy. Oh wow, it’s huge! Let me gets a plate!”

 

“Here you are birthday boy. One plate.” A waiter hands it to him and Justin cuts up the food for him and Gus goes back to his friends.

 

Justin clears his throat. “So how is that spoilt?” He glares at him.

 

“Well, I didn’t know that bit!” He snaps back.

 

“Didn’t stop you from commenting on shit you know nothing about as per usual.” Justin growls before having his mouth filled with steak by Brian. “Really good! It’s like butter!” He mumbles round it before swallowing and sighing. “We have got to order some for the freezer.”

 

“What’s the phrase they say? It’s very easy to spend someone else’s money.” Raymond sneers.

 

“Actually, the saying a fool and his money are easily parted is more appropriate for you.” Franc retorts, tartly.

 

“Raymond!” Rupert’s voice is low and angry. “Stop this and what is it with the ostentatious handholding? Have you two reconnected again?”

 

MICHAEL

 

That gets the reaction we wanted because David looks up and is coming over, but then veers off to the BBQ area...bet that’s just so he can listen!

 

“Oh, dear God!” Franc grumbles. “All we need is for Lindsay to show up and it’s a case of the Reunion of the Three Stooges, without the humor. As deja vu goes, this is not good!”

 

Now that I don’t owe her anything, I no longer have to be polite. “Oh shut up, Franc!” I snap.

 

“Seriously? You just did that?” Markus snarls at me.

 

“How’s your hip? Did David make your boo-boo all better?” I snipe back.

 

“Wow Michael, you are yet again behaving like a child!” David sneers. “So glad we’re through.”

 

“Well so am I because at least I’m not lying to you like you lied to me!” I grind out.

 

“Oh for…”

 

RAYMOND

 

Anymore. He’s not lying anymore.” I smirk, giving his hand a kiss. “We’re almost sorry David but we reconnected around the same time that he started to see you and…”

 

“No, you didn’t.” David retorts. “But for the first time, I admire you two. This is, I think, the most unselfish thing I have seen the two of you do. By dating each other, you save other people from that unpleasant fate.”

 

“Unpleas…” Michael gapes and I am also fucking furious.

 

“If it was so unpleasant, why did we see each other for so long?” I demand.

 

“No idea at all. But like I said, it’s over and done with.” He looks Michael up and down. “Why are you dressed like an aged accountant? This is a party, you have no sense of propriety.”

 

“Do not respond. Either of you!” Rupert orders. “Please David, go and enjoy yourself. We’ll handle this. I believe there is a man who wants to thank you for saving his dog.”

 

MICHAEL

 

“Dog? What dog?” I demand and then I spot that mutt from the park and his owner. “What are they doing here?!”

 

“Having a good time, which I’m about to join them in.” David declares and walks off.

 

“Purely coincidental, of course.” I growl.

 

“Why would you care? You were cheating on him, remember?” Franc points out and she smirks as Raymond goes red.

 

“Brian, a word if we may?!” George calls out coming over with Veri, Randolph, Vic and Rodney.

 

On joining us, Veri’s eyes widen on seeing our clasped hands. “They’re trying to make David jealous or angry or both by pretending that they are dating again.” Franc explains.

 

She turns around and signals someone but I can’t see who.

 

“What can I do for you, George? And will it involve me…”

 

“So you’re the man who has my grandfather’s interest, are you?” Raymond demands. “I’m Raymond and…”

 

“I have no interest in talking to you.” George spits before turning back to Brian. “Now, we, the Golden Girls have a little request, which does not involve you moving from that spot, as I believe you were going to ask.”

 

“Ooh, please tell me! Is it what I think it is?!” Emmett asks eagerly and Uncle Vic nods.

 

“Well go on Sophia!” George orders.

 

“We’re going to have a bachelor party and wondered if we could…”

 

“Babylon is yours, just let me know when.” Brian smiles. “And it’s on me. Emmy, you and I need to talk about this and about having you on retainer for Kinnetic.”

 

My jaw drops. He’s helping out Emmett but not offering me, his best friend, any assistance?!

 

“Are you serious?!” Emmett gasps.

 

“Yes, you have a fucking great talent. Can’t believe I didn’t think of this before, but like I said, let’s talk later.”

 

“Excuse me!  Uncle Vic, you’re not really going to do that, are you? I thought you were just showing off for David’s sake!” I’m so fucking fucked off by this whole day. This is just adding fuel to my fire!

 

“Yes, I am doing it and thank for reminding me... David! Do you want come to my bachelor party?”

 

“Absolutely!” He calls back, smiling.

 

“You’re inviting him?! What about me?!” I whine.

 

“What makes you think you’re going to be there?” Rodney retorts and again I’m absolutely pissed!

 

“Excuse me, haven’t you all forgotten something.” Raymond glares at them all. “But there’s the little matter of…”

 

“No we haven’t. And you’re going back to London immediately so whatever we have supposedly forgotten in your trash-compacted mind is of no import.” George interrupts, sharply.

 

“What?” Raymond and I say at the same time.

 

“Yes. So sorry to break up your little tryst but you, Raymond, are leaving. You have once again been surly and disruptive. I will not have you behave like this in my home. You are upsetting Dorothy so out you go…”

 

“They both are.” Rodney interrupts. “We will discuss your behaviour later but right now you need to leave.”

 

“Ah Phoebe. Thanks for coming. Sadly we do have a use for you. Can you take him to London but before that, drop the other ingrate at his apartment.” Veri orders some woman, who judging by Raymond’s reaction, he knows.

 

“My pleasure Veri. Come on you two idiots, let’s go!”

 

“I’m not going anywhere!” I snap and eyeball her, daring her to try and move me.

 

“Walk or be dragged, but you are leaving!” Phoebe looks me up and down with a smirk.

 

“I can’t believe you did this, Veri!” Raymond spits at her.

 

“She didn’t. I did.” Randolph retorts. “Now get out!”

 

Phoebe signals two men; Raymond drops my hand and starts to walk towards them. I feel my face flame and my heart hammers in my chest as I watch his retreating back.

 

“Michael...” Rodney prompts and I start to follow him.

 

“Daddy, where is Uncle Michael going?”

 

“He’s going to say goodbye to his friend, who has to leave now.”

 

“Oh okay, but Uncle Michael is coming back, isn’t he?”

 

Brian and Justin exchange looks. “Would you like him to come back, Sonny Boy?”

 

“Yes daddy, maybe he could play with us. We’re going to play pin the tailed on the donkey soon. And Auntie Emmy says we’ve got a pinyanno to break. Maybe he could hold that for us?”

 

“Or he could be the donkey.” Rodney mutters and I have to bite my tongue.

 

“Gus, It’s pin the tail and you hit the piñata. Yes, Uncle Michael will definitely be helping with that, won’t you?” Uncle Vic glares at me. In fact, they are all glaring at me.

 

“Of course Gus, I’d love to.”

 

With a nod from Veri, Phoebe follows Raymond. He doesn’t even look back.

 

“Go and get some food, Michael.” Uncle Vic orders “You’re going to need your strength running after them!”

 

I seethe as I hear Blond Ass say, “I can’t believe he called our son spoilt! One, just one more thing from him, and I’m kicking him out myself! Literally!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks