- Text Size +

CHAPTER 62 - IT’S THE END

 

LOUNGE

 

RAY

 

So much for me going back to London! The car part can’t be got until at least Monday so I’m here until then. Dad has a client meeting first thing on Monday, and since Veri-bitchy is on the board, she will have to go with him! And their gaoler Phoebe is nowhere to be found...so this means if they want me gone, they need to give me my passport! I sit back and enjoy the wonderful brandy that grandfather’s boytoy has provided for us!

 

“Again, your face shows your game plan.” Franc sits down next to me. I look at her with disdain. “I’ve got your passport. Phoebe has gone to the hotel for some rest but will be back here at five in the morning with another car to take you back to London.”

 

“Why do you hate me so much?!” I grouse.

 

“Hate is such a strong word. On this, I dislike you, that’s different. And the reason is because you don’t even try to better yourself! You thought that because you had all this coming to you that you didn’t have to! The reason you don’t have to try is the same reason why you should!”

 

I am sick to death of her philosophising!

 

“Grandfather didn’t want you two in the family.” I spit smugly.

 

“Yeah we know. He told us.” She looks at her phone and grimaces. “Oh, for the love of fuck!”

 

“Him again?” Brian calls out and she nods. “Give it to me!” She hands over her phone. “Kinney!” He snaps as he walks away.

 

“But you just have shown the reason that I do hate you. You hurt people for the thrill of it. And that is unforgivable!”

 

“You know the problem with…” I pause for dramatic effect. “People like you is…”

 

“Ray, yes I have money, more than you. But no, I’m not going to hit you so you can sue me for it!”

 

I gape at her.

 

“Like I said, your face gives you away every time!”

 

“Bitch!” I snarl at her retreating back. I am jolted out of my nasty thoughts by someone sitting next to me. It takes me a few minutes to realise it is the guy she was sucking face with.

 

“Markus.” I stare at him as if to say so what. “They have offered me two million to leave.”

 

“What?!” I gasp, gleefully. “Does she know?”

 

“Um…”

 

I stand up quickly. “Let me tell her! It will sound better coming from me. You can make your escape now. I take it you accepted, hence you telling me?”

 

“Yes, I accepted.” He tells me but also stands up. “But it was to leave the force. I was a cop and got shot, not to leave her. All she wanted was a big brother. I'm glad it will never be you. I have three of my own and I'm happy to share them with her!”

 

RANDOLPH

 

“Excuse me…”

 

“Let him do it.” George tells me gently. “It’s Markus that can fix this. We have another problem.”

 

“Novotny? “

 

“Vance.” He sighs.

 

“Who's Vance?” I ask, looking round.

 

“Brian! Ted! Cynthia! Can you come with me, please?!” He calls out. “You need to be all business and part grandpa for this.”

 

“Is that who has been calling her all day?” I demand.

 

“Yeah. He’s trying to pull my meeting out from under me for Wednesday by staying on the right side of...wait, where’s Mel?” Brian looks so pissed

 

“Behind you. Study now.” Mel orders.

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

We play the messages from Vance and then the one from Reinhard on my phone.

 

Mel is in full attorney mode. “So you think he has called Reinhard and told him what you did to Stockwell?”

 

“Yeah. Reinhard is backing off.”

 

“You have this man’s number?” George demands and I find it for him.

 

“Good evening may I speak to Mr Reinhard please. It is George Schickel, yes that one. If preferable, we could do a video conference, for authenticity.”

 

We all just look at him as he rattles out a series of numbers and soon there on screen is Reinhard.

 

“Mr Schickel, to what do I owe this contact?”

 

“You have done due diligence on Mr Kinney, correct?” He raps out.

 

“Yes…” Reinhard shifts slightly.

 

“You came to him, correct? You were not coerced?”

 

“Ye…”

 

“Bullshit!” He snarls. “What would be the terms?”

 

“I don’t…”

 

“Terms! Now! And honestly, a courtesy you have not afforded Mr Kinney!”

 

“The shares. I would get them as part of the terms and then I would cancel the deal.”

 

“That fucker!” I roar.

 

“You should be ashamed! Fucking over in business is expected, but fucking over a man who fought hard to protect the rights of everyone, whatever their sexuality, their race, their... everything! How dare you do this?! Not only to Brian but to my granddaughter! Mr Reinhard, I know at least seven people on your board, and more outside of your oh so precious circle! Know this, you will only have one friend by the time I am done with you! And he’s not a friend you want to have!”

 

“Mr Shi…” Reinhard begins but the screen goes blank.

 

“One down, one to go!” Randolph growls. “Give me her phone, Brian!”

 

I hand it over quickly. To be honest, I was too afraid not to! He hands the phone to Mel and nods.

 

“Gardner Vance please.” She asks sweetly then places the phone on the desk and puts it on speaker.

 

“Francesca.” Vance smarms. “I finally wore you down?” Nobody says a word. “Francesca?”

 

“Define worn?” Mel replies with fingers crossed.

 

“Ah-ah-ah! Not going to give away all of my secrets.  But let’s just say that I will be getting the shares before Brian.”

 

Ted claps his hand over my mouth and Cyn sits on me. But I’m watching Randolph write frantically.

 

“So tell me why you have it in for him? To be honest, I’m not exactly a fan either…”

 

“He’s everything I hate in a man; I can’t even call him that!” Vance explodes.

 

“Be-cause…”

 

“He’s arrogant! He thinks he’s suave but he’s not! And I am so glad I fired him!” He retorts.

 

Cyn is now joined by Ted in my lap!

 

“Fired him? I heard you bought him out of his partnership.”

 

“Oh I did and that’s the spin that I let him take. But I fired that fucking bastard, plain and simple!”

 

“Fine.” Mel replies, looking positively Machiavellian as she reads. “There is one more thing, Seabird isn’t happy…”

 

I can feel my eyes popping out of my head!

 

“Really? I’m not surprised! I know that in his past he’s fucked his clients to get his deals. I hate to say this but...he had an interaction with your father.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Yes, I believe it is called a knee trembler.”

 

“And that’s all we needed to hear.” Randolph retorts. “Expect the paperwork from Mr Kinney in the case of defamation of character. And as for Seabird, we are more than happy with Kinnetic. Goodbye, Mr Vance!”

 

“Wait who the hell…” Vance starts to shout.

 

The room is quiet. “Okay, let him vent.” Mel orders and Ted and Cyn get off me and I leap up and start to pace.

 

“That absolute fucking fucker!” I bellow and Ted runs out of the room. Two minutes later, my favourite blonde is wrapped around me. I am breathing hard because I am so fucking mad!

 

“Brian! We have Vance con…”

 

“Not Vance! Michael! Michael fucking caused this! I am...” I shout but the rest of my sentence is stopped by my inability to breathe as I start to hyperventilate.

 

“Get David or Blake now!” Mel screams. “Brian! Listen to me! Listen to me! Look right here! In! In! Now out! In! Come on, you stubborn fucker! In!”

 

I concentrate on Mel’s instructions and the feel of Justin’s hand in my hair and slowly but surely, I start to breathe normally.

 

“What happened?!” Blake demands as both he and David come in.

 

“He just hyperventilated. He’ll be fine once he calms down.” George replies, though I can see I scared him.

 

“S-s-sorry.” I mutter.

 

“Can we have the room, please?” Justin’s voice is calm and clear and just what I need to hear. Soon we are alone. “Come here, Brian.” I turn around and he pats the seat next to him on the sofa. “Right here.” I sink into the seat and then into his arms before sobbing my heart out. It takes me about twenty minutes to calm down, all the while he’s been quietly stroking my hair and not saying a word.

 

“What am I going to do?” I look up at him.

 

“Can you forgive him this?”

 

“He’s been my best friend for…”

 

“Exactly, he’s been your best friend but he’s not that now. He’s your wanna be lover, a position I suspect he could never fill even if we’d never met. And let’s look objectively at the fact that he’s not apologised for effectively having gotten you fired. His reason of you not paying him enough attention is not the action of a best friend or even someone who loves you. So again, I ask... can you forgive him this?”

 

“No, no I can’t.”

 

“Then don’t.” He kisses me softly.

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I have never been so fucking bored in my life! There was some kind of drama but now everyone, except Brian and Blonde Ass, are back in the room. We are all in their PJs and now that they have returned, we can have steak rolls. Raymond is on the other side of the room brooding about something, so I decide to go and join him.

 

“What do you want?” He snaps.

 

“Grumpy much?!” I retort.

 

“Ah there you are!” Phoebe comes across. “Let’s go!”

 

“What do you mean let’s go?!”

 

“Car’s here, you’re gone!” She answers coldly.

 

“Fine, this has been a fucking snorefest anyway!” He growls and stalks out.

 

“You too!” She pulls on my arm.

 

“What do you mean?” I glare at her.

 

“You are not wanted here.” She tells me. “So before we put him on a plane, I put you in your apartment!”

 

I stare at her in disbelief. “I am Brian’s best friend and…”

 

“He’s the one that wants you to leave!” She growls. “And from what I’ve been hearing, he’s not the only one!”

 

“What the…”

 

“Michael. Go home now! And then come to your mother’s on Tuesday night. We need to talk but right now you need to go!”

 

I can’t believe this! “Let me speak to Brian! He will…”

 

“Your actions almost caused him to walk into a bear trap. Go home!” Uncle Vic orders again.

 

I slam my glass down and I take particular pleasure in it breaking. “Uncle Vic, I shall go but remember that Brian is my best friend. He knows I’d never hurt him. And this….”

 

“Of course, you are. Now in words you will understand, fuck off!”  Uncle Vic interrupts and steers me out of the room.

 

ANDREW

 

I can’t believe I have done this! I look across at the sleeping bundle of gorgeousness that is Grady’s sister. “Seriously, you didn’t need to drop me off. I would’ve taken the cab back.”

 

“Yes I did, you came back for her.” Grady’s breeder smiles. “And that deserves a lift!”

 

I grab her special food and put it by the door and then carry her in her basket. I’m surprised when the door opens.

 

“Another mutt!” Michael snarks. “Word of advice….David slobbers over your junk as much as your dog!”

 

“Considering he never blew you, I doubt that’s true!” I retort. He goes bright red and rushes to the car.

 

I shuffle the food between my feet and try not to jostle her too much. But she does wake up and looks at me sleepily. “Please don’t yip.” I beg and mercifully, she settles back down. I head to the lounge and spot David across the room. As I walk towards him, she decides to pop her head up and slowly but surely, the room goes quiet.

 

“David.” I call out to him as I approach.

 

“Hey where did…” He turns to me and is silent. “You are kidding me? Is this her? Seriously she’s here?” I nod. “Can you put her on the floor for a minute?”

 

“She’s not going to leap up or anything so you can take her out. She’s got special food and…”

 

“Andrew, put the basket on the floor.” He orders firmly and I put her down. As I stand up, I find his hands in my hair and his mouth on my mine. It’s chaste and gentle. “Thank you. You really didn’t have to….mmmph!”

 

Five minutes later, there’s a loud throat clearing noise. I release his mouth and tuck my shirt back in as his hands had started to wander!

 

“Grady! No!” I shout as he spots his sister and starts to gallop towards her and she starts to get out.

 

“STOP NOW!” David bellows and Grady screeches to a halt and his sister gets back in the basket.

 

“Are you always that domineering?” I ask.

 

“Only for the right person.” He replies.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks