- Text Size +

CHAPTER 65 - FEASTING ON THE BONES AND NAILING IT

 

 

 

JUSTIN’S HOUSE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

I am stroking his hair as he sleeps. He’s drooling and using me as a mattress again, but I don’t mind in the least. His ring glints in the sunlight, creating spotlight-like prisms along the wall and ceiling. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy and I’m even more pleased that we can tell Gus now. The amount of times I’ve almost blurted it out is almost embarrassing. But the only other person that knows in the house is Ruby and she’s kept my secret well. Hey, don’t judge; I had to tell someone!

 

 

 

“Morning.” He mumbles against my chest. “What time is it?”

 

 

 

“Seven and morning too. Bathroom.”

 

 

 

“Mmm.” He slides off me and I have to laugh at the feather which floats from the back of his neck to the floor.

 

 

 

I pull him against me as we brush our teeth and chuckle over last night. “Need to hoover before we leave.” He mumbles.

 

 

 

“We need to have coffee above anything else. You’re half asleep and I’m not having you in charge of any electrical equipment.”

 

 

 

“True.”

 

 

 

As we head downstairs, he looks around at the very clean lounge. “What…”

 

 

 

“I called Martha and she came to clean it up. Told you that you sleep through anything.” I laugh at his stunned expression.

 

 

 

“So what are we going to do now?” He asks, rubbing his eyes.

 

 

 

“Speak jibber-jabber?”

 

 

 

“Oh yeah!” He grins, suddenly awake and drags me back, unprotestingly, back to bed!

 

 

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I am not smiling! I make sure the coffee is just right and hand Ma the mug. Then I sit opposite her, waiting for her to get to the point of this little visit.

 

 

 

“So what do you want?” She asks.

 

 

 

“Pardon?”

 

 

 

“Well you were calling all day yesterday. So what is it that you wanted?”

 

 

 

Okay, so she’s still a bit cross!

 

 

 

“I wanted to explain to you why I…”

 

 

 

“You need to explain to Brian. Oh wait, you can’t because he doesn’t want to know you.”

 

 

 

Ouch!

 

 

 

“Ma, please.” I beg. “How can I apologise if he won’t speak to me?”

 

 

 

“You don’t need to speak to him to say sorry!” She snaps and grimaces as she sips the coffee. “Grab a piece of paper and a pen and write him a letter and…”

 

 

 

“Wait let me grab them!” I leap up and try to find what I need. As I come back to sit down on the sofa, she is just staring at me. “Okay, so what do I need to say?”

 

 

 

“For...you are unbelievable!” She snaps and stands up so quickly, I have to shuffle backwards.

 

 

 

“Ma…”

 

 

 

“You still want people to do things for you! Well guess what?! Use your brain... you know the rarely used organ you employed to fuck up the friendship in the first place!”

 

 

 

“Ma, stop talking about our friendship as if it is over because it isn’t!” I snap. “It is just a row, which he will get over!”

 

 

 

She actually bursts out laughing. “Are you nuts?! Brian doesn’t want or need you in his life anymore!”

 

 

 

“But I need him in mine!” I shout back.

 

 

 

“Why?!” I am taken aback by the question. “Why do you need him in your life?”

 

 

 

“Because I love him Ma... more than a friend. He looks after me, he protects me, he provides for…”

 

 

 

“So you just want him for what he can give you.”

 

 

 

“We looked after him, took the time to save...ow, what the fuck?!”

 

 

 

She shakes her hand out and picks up her coat. “You think he owes us?!” She bellows. “He doesn’t! And even if he did, he’s more than paid! Your store... he bought you that! The diner…”

 

 

 

“What about it?” I grouse, rubbing my cheek.

 

 

 

“He owns it!”

 

 

 

“So he bought it for…”

 

 

 

“The Avenue, not just me! And he doesn’t know I know! He bought it so people would always have a place to go no matter what. What have you given back, Michael?”

 

 

 

“I haven’t got the money that he does!”

 

 

 

“Not only that, but you don’t have the heart either!” She snaps and stalks to the door. “For all his assholery he has heart and I’m ashamed that you don’t!”

 

 

 

KINNETIC - FRIDAY MORNING

 

 

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

 

 

MEL

 

 

 

Brian and I are just staring at Dorothy and Rose, who are looking very pleased with themselves.

 

 

 

“Explain how this worked out?” I look down at the papers of ownership. “I don’t understand…”

 

 

 

“Simple. He upset my granddaughter so I bought his company.” Dorothy, I mean Randolph explains as if he’s just bought socks!

 

 

 

“But why Liberwicz and not VanGuard?” I ask because, for once, Brian has been rendered speechless.

 

 

 

“Because they wouldn’t expect that. Did you get a call from Reinhard, Brian?” George asks.

 

 

 

“Brian!” I actually have to shove him to get his attention.

 

 

 

“Uh...I don’t. Uh yeah on Tuesday evening.”

 

 

 

“Yes, we had started to circle then and were buying off the board.” George chuckles.

 

 

 

“So what about VanGuard?” Brian finally asks a coherent question. Truth be told, I’m amazed that my own brain is working as well as it is. These guys are just unbelievable!

 

 

 

“Oh Reinhard’s going to destroy him!” Randolph declares, airily.

 

 

 

“Well the lawsuit is going to take a decent chunk out of his change.” I concur. “But how is Reinhard...ah.”

 

 

 

“Ah?” Brian questions.

 

 

 

“He has a lot of money and vengeance on his mind. Let them fight it out between them. Now what we are here to discuss is the bachelor party!” Randolph chuckles. “It’s in two weeks.”

 

 

 

“But why would Reinhard go after Vance?” Brian asks.

 

 

 

“Because of his alliance with Vance, he’s lost his company. It especially hurts at this juncture since he was going in for a merger with Pfienzer and was set to hammer out the negotiation and seal the deal. Once my Dorothy had a word with the chairman, he backed right off and Reinhard was hoisted by his own petard.”

 

 

 

Brian starts to laugh. “So glad you’re on my side.”

 

 

 

“He was going to cause a good friend of mine immense reputational damage. We couldn’t have that! Now back to bachelor party, what shall we do?”

 

 

 

“Call Emmy and what are you guys doing on Monday morning?”

 

 

 

“We will and nothing. Why?”

 

 

 

“I think an introduction to Liberty Avenue is called for. A pink plate special brunch and then shopping should do it!” He chuckles.

 

 

 

You are up to something Kinney. Whatever it is, you have never looked happier and I am so glad!

 

 

 

MEL’S HOUSE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

LEDA

 

 

 

“Are you sure you can’t see?” I ask her, checking the blindfold carefully.

 

 

 

“I’m sure!” Mel laughs.

 

 

 

“Gus?”

 

 

 

“Momma! Please hurry, I want to see!”

 

 

 

We picked up Gus from school with Ruby and now that the mural is finished, we are showing it to him.

 

 

 

“Oh where to show first? I know the kitchen.” I lead them to the kitchen. Although she has an idea what we did, she’s not seen it complete yet. “Okay, blindfolds off!”

 

 

 

Gus almost tears his hair out and he like Mel gasps. “Oh my God, it’s beautiful!” She looks round the room. It is an old style country kitchen, which feels so warm and comforting.

 

 

 

“Momma, do we have to use this place? I don’t want it to get it dirty. So pretty.” Gus frowns.

 

 

 

“Yes we have to but not for a very long time.” Mel replies. We both know why he’s asking as he doesn’t want to leave his daddies. “So please stop frowning and worrying, okay?”

 

 

 

“You promise?” He asks quietly.

 

 

 

“I Leather Bear promise that we won’t be home before Christmas.”

 

 

 

“Oh thank you, mommy!” He cries, flinging himself into her knees.

 

 

 

“So Gus, are you happy to see the rest of the house?” I adjust Ruby and he nods emphatically.

 

 

 

When we finally get to Gus’s room, I wink at Mel, and she smiles. “Gus, you want to open the door?”

 

 

 

“Yes momma, mommy can you hold Leather Bear for me please?” She takes it from him and as he opens the door, I start to count.

 

 

 

“Daddies!” He gasps. “Rhubarb! Custard!” He whirls round to face us in astonishment. “I don’t understand!”

 

 

 

“We knew it would be hard for you to come and see the house so we thought....oh Sonny Boy, don’t cry!” Brian gathers him into his arms, Justin rubs his back and both Rhubarb and Custard give us baleful looks for upsetting him. “We thought we would make it a little easier.”

 

 

 

He calms down as he looks round his room but it’s when he sees the picture that Justin drew that the tears start again. It was going to be the one with him and Rhubarb in the hammock on Isle Kay. But when Emmy sent us the one of him and Brian walking down Liberty Avenue walking the cats and him handing Leather Bear to Brian, it had to be that one.

 

 

 

“When did you take this?” Gus is standing on the bed touching the picture with wonder.

 

 

 

“Someone on the Avenue did.” Justin explains. “Are you disappointed that’s it’s not the one you wanted?”

 

 

 

“No, this is a squillion times better! But…” He goes quiet before turning to Justin. “You’re not in it papa.”

 

 

 

“I am because I drew it.”

 

 

 

“Besides...” I clear my throat. “There is another picture you need to see Gus. It’s over here.”

 

 

 

I help him off the bed and lead him to his desk where there is a picture of the five of them at the party. It’s off-guard and Brian has Gus sitting on his feet and Custard round his neck with Rhubarb taking food from Justin.

 

 

 

“Can I take this home?”

 

 

 

“No Sonny Boy…” Gus looks sad. “There is one at home and like mommy said, it will be your home forever and you are not going anywhere before Christmas. We Leather Bear promise.”

 

 

 

“Are we going home now?” Gus asks and we nod.

 

 

 

BRITIN

 

 

 

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

Get it together Kinney! I am so excited and relieved that we can tell Gus.

 

 

 

“Hello daddy!” Gus calls out from Justin’s arms as he carries him into the bedroom having had his bath. “Papa said we’re doing tootsies today.”

 

 

 

“Yes we are. I shall paint one foot and papa will paint the other. And we’re going to paint them in the colours of our tartan.”

 

 

 

“Oh goody!” He grins.

 

 

 

An hour later, he’s wriggling as we blow on his toes. “Daddy, can you take a picture for Chandra please?”

 

 

 

“Yes of course, but we need to talk to you about something.”

 

 

 

“Okay daddy.”

 

 

 

“You know that Uncle Rodney and Uncle Vic are getting married?” He nods. “Well with your permission, me and papa would like to do that too.”

 

 

 

He goes very still and then looks at me and then Justin.

 

 

 

“Married?”

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

“So you’d be together forever?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” Justin replies.

 

 

 

“Mommy! Momma!” He yells running to the door. “Come quick!”

 

 

 

A few minutes later, they come in looking dishevelled. No prizes for guessing what Gus interrupted. I snicker but its cut short by the concern in Mel’s voice. “What’s wrong?!” She demands.

 

 

 

“Your top is back to front and inside out.” I point out.

 

 

 

Apart from that!” She blushes.

 

 

 

“Daddy and papa have asked me if they can get married, isn’t that great?!” Gus squeals.

 

 

 

“WHAT?!” Mel shouts before leaping on the bed to hug me. “Wait, Gus what did you say?”

 

 

 

“Daddy and papa have asked me if they can get married.” Gus repeats.

 

 

 

“No, Gus. What did you say when they asked you?” Leda asks.

 

 

 

“Well I said...wait I didn’t say...yes! Yes you can definitely get married! Can I tell Ruby?!”

 

 

 

“Thank you Gus! Yes you can tell Ruby, but do you want to see the ring?” I ask.

 

 

 

“Ring?” He pauses in mid run.

 

 

 

“Yes. I got papa a ring to show my commit...how much I love him.” Gus runs back to the bed and clambers between us. “So can I officially put it on now?”

 

 

 

“Please daddy.”

 

 

 

“Oh wow!” Leda breathes. “That is gorgeous.”

 

 

 

As I slide the ring back on his finger and catch the tears in his eyes, I whisper against his mouth, “Stop it or you will start me off.”

 

 

 

“Sorry.” He whispers back.

 

 

 

“So daddy, is this a secret?” Gus looks up at us smiling.

 

 

 

“No. You can tell Chandra but after only you’ve told Ruby, okay?”

 

 

 

“Yes daddy. I am so happy, happier than happy can be!”

 

 

 

“Us too.” Justin smiles and wipes the tear from my cheek.

 

 

 

LIBERTY AVENUE - MONDAY MID-MORNING

 

 

 

RANDOLPH

 

 

 

I chuckle to myself as we walk hand and hand down the Avenue. We tilt our hats to the ladies and gentlemen of the Avenue and, I personally, marvel at their braveness.

 

 

 

“Shall we look in here?” He points to a store but before we can go in, we hear the voice of the one and only Emmett.

 

 

 

“Absolutely not!” He yells as he catches up with us. “This way if you please!”

 

 

 

He links our arms and takes us to a place called Torso. “Cooee Frederick!”

 

 

 

“Ems darling, how are you?” Frederick greets him and kiss us all on both cheeks. “Who of these distinguished gents are we dressing?”

 

 

 

“Both of them.” He decrees. “Let us begin.”

 

 

 

DINER - AN HOUR LATER

 

 

 

DEBS

 

 

 

Brian told me to hold the back booth because he was bringing Gus for lunch. Thankfully, we’re not too busy.

 

 

 

“Hi guys!” I call out as Ems, Randolph and George come in and join Ben, Vic and Rodney in the back.

 

 

 

My heart sinks slightly as Michael slinks into a booth near the front. He tries that pitiful puppy dog look aimed in my direction. Kiki looks across at me and I jerk my head, so she goes to serve him. He then looks furious because I am no longer falling for his acts. Well tough shit! He can sport that scowl until his face gets stuck that way. I’m not changing my mind!

 

 

 

As I head to the booth with coffee, I hear the shout that warms my heart “Grandma!” Gus calls from the door.

 

 

 

“Come on sweetheart!” He comes carefully to the back booth and his eyes light up when he sees everyone. Mel, Leda, Brian and Justin, who has Ruby strapped to him, follow him all smiling.

 

 

 

“Hello everyone!” Gus is like a jumping bean. “Daddy, did you knowed!”

 

 

 

“Yes Gus, I knew.” Brian laughs and inwardly I chuckle as Kiki shoves Michael back in his seat.

 

 

 

“What’s got you so excited, sweetheart?” I laugh as I put his milkshake down.

 

 

 

“Daddy and papa are getting married!” He shouts and the entire diner goes quiet.

 

 

 

“What?” I gasp and sit down next to Vic.

 

 

 

“Daddy, why is it so quiet?” Gus whispers.

 

 

 

“S-say that again.” Vic stammers.

 

 

 

“I asked Justin and then Gus and they both said yes.” Brian is going a wonderful shade of pink.

 

 

 

“Oh honey!” I cry, not able to decide who to hug first!

 

 

 

“We’re not going to interfere with your wedding Vic and Emmy, we’d like...oh for fu...goodness sake Emmy Lou, stop blubbering and agree to be our caterer!”

 

 

 

He just nods and I take a look at Michael, who is stock still with eyes wide.

 

 

 

“Justin! Do you have a ring?!” Kiki calls out as she comes up.

 

 

 

“Yes. Um. Debs, can you…”

 

 

 

“Oh yes, give me my granddaughter!” I swiftly unclip her from him and inhale her sweetness.

 

 

 

Justin puts his hand in the middle of the table and everyone coos. “Is it me or does it look like a nail?” Ems asks.

 

 

 

“It’s from the Juste un Clou range from Cartier. It means just a nail, I have nailed my colours to the wall to tell the world he’s it for me now and forever. Nobody comes close.”

 

 

 

“Cartier?” Ems gulps. “Are you getting him one, Justin?” He shakes his head and I look across at Michael and he gets a flicker of what? Hope. “Why not?”

 

 

 

“Hi David! Come take a seat!” I call out as he comes in.

 

 

 

“Can I tell him grandma?” Gus asks as Brian helps him roll back his sleeves.

 

 

 

“Tell me what? Hi everyone.” He smiles as he sits down.

 

 

 

“Daddy and papa are getting married but not before Uncle Vic and Uncle Rodney because they don’t want to take off their wedding attention. And also because papa is going to design their wedding rings and daddy only wants to wear one ring. Isn’t that right, papa?”

 

 

 

“Yes Gussie, that’s absolutely right.”

 

 

 

“Oh guys that is wonderful, I am so happy for you!” David exclaims.

 

 

 

“So?” George demands, looking meaningfully at David.

 

 

 

“So what?” David is, I believe, starting to squirm. What have I missed?!

 

 

 

“We know Manny, so out with it!” Randolph orders.

 

 

 

“Oh, yes I had forgotten. It was really nice…”

 

 

 

Nice is tea with your aged aunt. It had best have been better than that!” George scoffs.

 

 

 

“Oh God, you and Andrew had a date?!” I trap him in the booth by sitting next to him. “To quote Ems...dish!”

 

 

 

“I’m going to fire Manny!” He grumbles but then a huge smile spreads across his face. “It was lovely, just lovely. He came over again on Saturday morning and we walked the dogs then went to the Dependable Drive in on Moon Clinton for a movie in the evening and…”

 

 

 

“How much did you see?” Ben chuckles.

 

 

 

“Not a whole lot!” He admits.

 

 

 

“Did you go to work like that?” Brian asks.

 

 

 

“Like what?” David asks, looking down himself.

 

 

 

“With that huge hickey on your neck.” He drawls.

 

 

 

“No! Seriously?!” He gasps and we all nod.

 

 

 

“With me now, let’s get some cover up on that.” Ems laughs and they head the bathroom with David on the phone attempting to tell off his boyfriend, but giggling like a schoolgirl!

 

 

 

I look again to the front but there’s no Michael. I shrug, thinking well at least he didn’t make a scene here.

 

 

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I throw the brat’s present across the room since I’m not going to be giving it to him! I take heaving breaths and then rush to the bathroom to bring up what little there is in my stomach.

 

 

 

“Brian, how dare you?” I snivel and wipe my eyes. “I said date, not fucking marry! Well two can the play at the jealousy game! Let’s see who wins in the end!”

 

 

 

Two hours later, I am packed and on my way to London.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.