- Text Size +

CHAPTER 66 - AND NOBODY NOTICES...WELL NOT AT FIRST ANYWAY

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - TWO HOURS LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

I smile to myself and shuffle forward as we are ready for boarding. I was going to call Ray but changed my mind. With my plan in place, we won't be in London that long...and besides Ma will soon be calling. When I tell her I'm in London, the guilt will kick in.

 

RODNEY’S HOUSE - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

VIC

 

“The answer to your unasked, but dwelled on, question is no we weren't.” Rodney looks up from his newspaper as I come back in from the bathroom.

 

“Am I that obvious?”

 

“Just a bit. Come on, get in and let me tell you something from a wholly, well almost, unbiased point of view. He lied, he manipulated and deceived. And you deservedly gave him a slap. Do you remember what you said to him?”

 

“About me not liking him right now?”

 

“Yes. How do you think he would be if it were the other way around? Don't you think he would hold it over Brian’s head? Look how he thinks that he is still owed by Brian for his childhood. Wasn't he bullied in school and wasn’t Brian his saviour then?”

 

“Yes.” I shuffle up and kiss his cheek. “Thanks. Now enough about misbehaving nephews. Instead, let’s talk partying at Babylon! Did you see the shirt that Randy bought? We have to top that!”

 

“It's our duty as the stags!” He laughs.

 

BRITIN - THURSDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

“Justin, what exactly are you doing?” I ask as he seems to be disappearing into the pantry.

 

“Looking for something to put the butter in.” Is the somewhat muffled response.

 

“Butter? Why are you wanting to put butter in something?”

 

“Going to make some.” He answers, puffing the hair out of his eyes. “Franc told me how to make it and…earth to Brian!”

 

“What?”

 

“You had a glazed expression on your face just then. Remembering the ricotta?” He laughs.

 

“Yeah, can we try and make that instead?”

 

“How about both?” I nod. “Okay let me call her and get the recipe first.”

 

We’re interrupted by a shrill, raspy voice that I know all too well. “Where the hell are you guys?”

 

“Kitchen!” I shout back to Mel’s yell. “What’s got you so excited?”

 

She comes in, looking wild eyed and slightly disheveled. By the glow in her face, I know it isn’t there because she and Leda were… no-no-no! Think of Justin’s butt! Much better! She’s got that pitbull ‘I just bit someone in the ass’ lawyer look to her. So I know the news must be big. I don’t have to wait as she breathlessly speaks. “Vance wants to settle out of court. $250K and I think you should take it.”

 

“O...Kinney. Hi Franc, I’m okay, before you start has your dad heard from Vance? Ah he has, has he? I see. Thanks for the heads up.” I quickly email Rupert and he replies within seconds saying that he has been offered $50K more. “Tell Vance that I want exactly the same terms as he offered Rupert, exactly the same.”

 

“On it.” She declares and heads to study, muttering darkly.

 

“Another thing, Mel... Reinhard is sniffing round Franc. I think he’s going to make an offer for her shares.”

 

“And…”

 

“You should let Vance know that. After this has been agreed and the money is in my account, of course.”

 

“Of course.” She smirks.

 

“So explain.” Justin pushes me into a chair and sits on my lap.

 

“Settling out of court keeps this out of the papers. He will get us to sign an NDA, but the person he really wants is Franc. More importantly, it’s her shares he’s after. If he can get to her first before Reinhard, then all the better.”

 

“But if he can’t?”

 

“Then Reinhard owns his ass. I’ve been looking into Reinhard’s personal wealth. He can more than cover a takeover with that alone but he’s taken a kicking with Dorothy and Rose grabbing the majority share of his company and shoving him off the board. Chances are he will want Vance to know what that feels like. He offered Rupert more than me…”

 

“Nice.”

 

“Now enough business; tell me about this butter.”

 

URBAN STAY ASTRAL HOUSE, RAY’S APARTMENT, LONDON - THURSDAY EVENING

 

RAY

 

I have had a long day of things! All I want to do is relax and not think of anything. Or anybody.

 

“Oh who the hell is it at this time at night?” I grumble and check the entry phone screen and blink twice. “Surely the fuck not?!” I groan and close my eyes but when I open them, he’s still there and about to ring again. But then someone comes up and he follows them in. “Shit fuck damn!” I mutter and run to switch off all the lights.

 

I wait with bated breath as I hear the lift doors open and the sound of a case being wheeled down the corridor. And then it stops and he knocks while I go completely still!

 

He knocks again and I start to walk back towards the lounge keeping an eye on the door. I feel like I’m in a horror film! I almost crap myself when my phone rings, fuck I forgot to put it on silent! I pray that he’s not pressed against the door.

 

It goes very quiet and then I hear it, the sniffle. What fresh hell?! I creep to the door and press against it and listen.

 

“R-Ray, it’s M-Michael. Michael Novotny. I’ve got something to tell you about Justin Taylor that you need to hear in person. I-It seems that he’s marrying Brian because he can’t have his true love and that’s you. I had no idea he felt this way but I know that this sham of a marriage would devastate Brian if it was to go ahead. Please, can you call me back as soon as you get this message? There’s a hotel round the corner that I’m going to try and book into. Bye.”

 

I am stunned, utterly stunned! I creep to the window to check if he’s actually leaving and he’s making his way across the road, but then he pauses and looks up, I press back against the wall.

 

“This can’t be true!” I mutter, I play the message again. “But if it’s not true, why come all this way to tell me that? He could easily have just called me.” I think back to the cruise and it did seem a little coincidental that Justin tipped his hat at Kinney and he had a problem with Ethan.

 

I twirl my phone as I contemplate what to do next. And then mentally slap myself upside the head. “Of course, an emergency passport! Why the fuck didn’t I think of that before?! Right! Let me sort out an ESTA and then call Michael. I have to see what this is really all about!”

 

POINT A HOTEL, LIVERPOOL STREET, LONDON

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

“God, this place is small!” I gripe and check my phone again for a message. Nobody has called me, not one person! It’s been two days since I saw Ma. You’d have thought that she would have simmered down by now! Maybe doing what she wants will get their attention. But to be honest, I don’t see why I should apologise to Brian! It’s true that he wouldn’t have gotten Kinnetic without me going to VanGuard. In my mind, he should be thanking me on his knees for his current lifestyle. Without me, he would still be kowtowing to that bald fucker Vance, trying to keep his job!

 

The one thing I do regret is throwing the present for that spoilt child across the room. Now I can’t return it but if I don’t get the brat something then it looks like I’m not trying. Once things are back to normal, Brian and I, and I mean us alone, are going to discuss Gus’s attitude. Mel doesn’t get a say in this and if she doesn’t like it, well that’s tough. She won’t be living there anymore anyway! She and Leda can munch in her house. Surely, it must be done up by now. I haven’t even seen the upstairs of Britin yet! All I saw was the kitchen, the study, the garden and the downstairs bathroom, which is bigger than this room! It’s time for me to re-establish my place by Brian’s side. And it all starts with making sure Ray does what I want him to do. The groundwork has already been laid; I just need him to come up to scratch!

 

With all this planning, I am feeling a bit hungry so I decide to call down for room service when my phone rings. “Michael Novotny.” I smile but say, timidly. “Oh hello R-Ray. You got my message. Yeah, I just had to get away when I found out. This was the first place I thought of. So what are you going to do?” I almost dance round the room when he tells me! “Okay, shall I check out now? Well I thought I could stay with you. We do have things to go over, after all. Oh I see. Well my ticket is open ended, so whenever you are ready to go get your man, let me know.”

 

Stage 1 complete!

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY MORNING

 

GUS

 

I am looking at my toes and they are still so smart! Although momma said I can't have my fingers the same, which I was a bit disappointed about but that’s okay. I am waiting for my papa to come back from downstairs because he’s going to help me with my thank you cards for my presents. He says he’s got special ones for me.

 

“Hey Gus, you can come to our room now!” Papa pokes his head in so I grab Leather Bear and trot to join them.

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

“Daddy, have you got the list?” I climb on the bed and settle between them.

 

“Right here with your choices of cards. Which would you like to use?” Papa asks me showing cards with me and Ruby, me with my mommies and Ruby, me with my daddies and Ruby or me with Chandra. “You can do an assortment of them if you like.”

 

“What does assortment mean?”

 

“A mix of them.” Daddy tells me. “So let's see here... you’ve got 20 people to send cards so you can do four of each card.”

 

“How do I decide?” I frown.

 

“Well.” Papa pauses. “How about you just pick one from each in order? That will give us a great starting point. So which one do you want to send to Mr David since he’s first on your list?”

 

“This one! He really likes Ruby.” I pick the one of just the two of us.

 

“Yes he does. So that’s your first one and what about Mr George?” Daddy asks.

 

“The one with us.” I frown. “Wait, I think I’ve got it. Then the next one would be me and my mommies and then me and Chandra?”

 

“That’s right. Now do you want to do some reading?” Papa asks and I nod. I love Sundays when it’s just me, Ruby and our parents. I love the rest of the family lots too...well not all of them. I don't like Mr Michael much at all. He upset my daddy and it must have been bad if he's not his friend anymore. He reminds me of Mason and I didn't like him either, especially after he was mean to Chandra!

 

RUPERT AND VERI’S HOUSE, CALIFORNIA - SAME TIME

 

KITCHEN

 

VERI

 

“So are you going to accept the offer?”

 

“I would be a fool not to but I worry about two things: the NDA and Ray.”

 

“Ray? What's that boy doing now?” I sigh crossly.

 

“He has an appointment at the US Embassy…”

 

“What for?” I scowl.

 

“An emergency passport. He got one of the PAs to book it and she has taken a slight dislike to him and he...”

 

“So where is he going? Think he’s going to look for Ethan?”

 

“My darling, let me finish. No, he’s coming to the States. He’s booked a ticket back to Pittsburgh.”

 

“What the hell for? It’s not like any of us has demanded his presence, which… Wait a minute! You don’t think…”

 

“David? Oh no. Actually, let me make a couple of calls.”

 

“Me too.” I call out to him and grab my phone. “Hey Phoebs, how you doing girl? Can you tell me exactly what happened when you took the two idiots home after the party?”

 

As she tells me about their make out session, I regret starting the scrambled eggs! The next call I put in is to Randolph’s PI. He tells me that Ethan has taken up with some guy in Belize, which is helpful but doesn’t exactly answer what I need to know. Just why the fuck is that boy coming back to Pittsburgh?

 

I decide to throw the eggs away because of the prevalent disgusting image of Leeches in Lust bombarding my mind and go to the back bedroom. I smile as I take notice that they are still sound asleep. Franc and Markus arrived here last night, and after telling us that she wants to see Raymond’s house, they retired here for the night. Admittedly her request left our brains baffled and trying to think of every possibility. We’re still not sure why though.

 

As I head back to the kitchen, Rupert is also making his way back. “So?” I ask.

 

“Brian and Michael have had an epic bust up and are no longer friends.” He tells me. “What happened to the eggs?”

 

“Tell you in a minute.” I shudder. “Anything else?”

 

“No that’s it. So what did you find out?”

 

“Gold is in Belize, blazing through the money. Do we have anything in Belize?”

 

“Yeah.” Franc comes in, rubbing her eyes and looking like a teenager. Thankfully, she and I are blessed that way! “The Right House, play on the White House. Coffee immediately, please.” She slumps onto the counter.

 

Rupert gets up chuckling and gets it for her. “Markus awake?” She shakes her head. “Plum tuckered?”

 

“Dad!” She yelps, but is snickering before lifting her head. “S’up?” She looks at us both sipping on her coffee and Rupert smiles. S’up is Franc speak for what the fuck is going on; just tell me now!

 

We catch her up and she looks perplexed. “Hang on a second.” She looks around. “Phone?”

 

“Lounge.” I reply.

 

She pads back quickly and puts her phone on speaker. “Oh Reinhard has called about twenty times and Vance about thirty. When do I tell them that they will need to deal with Brian?”

 

I smile at her. “Just after he signs the form. Why not sell to Reinhard? His offer is very good...”

 

“True, but don’t want to. Oh, hey Debs how you doing?”

 

“Great. Where are you? Did you hear the news about Brian and Justin?”

 

“Yes, we’re in Cali. Gus phoned and told us in the evening. We’re so happy for them. But, what’s this I hear about the official break-up of the Bri-key friendship?”

 

“It was because of Michael that Vance fired Brian. He told Vance about something Brian was doing against a client on the sly.”

 

“Fuck me.” She whispers. “You mean Stockwell?”

 

“How did?” She pauses and then chuckles. “Of course, you’d know about that. Yeah, it was about Stockwell.”

 

“So how is Michael? I take it he hasn’t taken the news well.”

 

“Well he...oh.”

 

“What?”

 

“I haven’t seen him for a couple of days. He was there for the announcement and then nothing.”

 

“You’ve not heard from him at all? Is that normal? You’ve seen him right?”

 

The questions hang in the air.

 

“Let me go to his place and check. I’ll call you back.”

 

“Debs, it’s Veri. Don’t do that. Call Carl first and let him go over. I’m on my way to you on the next flight. Hang tight. Do not go anywhere near it, understand?”

 

“But…”

 

“Honey, whatever has happened has happened. You running over there isn’t going to change that.”

 

“Okay, let me call Carl.”

 

“Debs, its Markus.” We all jump as we hadn’t heard him. “I’ve called him and he’s on his way. I’m sure Michael is fine and just being a brat. Don’t worry.”

 

“Yeah. You know him so well in such a short space of time.” She laughs but we know it’s hollow. “Okay see you soon, Veri.”

 

“See you.” I try to be as upbeat as possible. “You really don’t think he’d…”

 

“Oh hell no! He’s far too arrogant for that. Try? Yes, because it would get him attention, especially from Brian, I mean look at him and his arm. But try and succeed? Absolutely not!” Franc scoffs.

 

“You weren’t...” Rupert whispers.

 

“Completely different. I thought I was sick.”

 

“You tried…” Markus gasps.

 

“No, didn’t try. But did think about it. Found a lump. Panicked, as it got bigger. Finally, dad hauled me to the doctors and all was fine when they whipped it out.”

 

“Your survivor boob?” Markus pulls her into his arms.

 

“Mmmm. Seemed the perfect tattoo to have.”

 

“If that boy is alive and well, he won’t be by the time I’m done with him!” I declare and head to pack.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.