- Text Size +

CHAPTER 75 - THE HUNTERS AND THE MIMIC

 

GUS

 

“Daddy?” I frown.

 

“Yes Gus.” He turns papa around so that he’s resting against his chest and they share a donut.

 

“How long is it till college?”

 

“Well...you could start college when you’re 18, but you can start later.” He replies and mommy is sniffing.

 

“So I’m five now and Ruby’s well, zero, so…” I start to count up from five to eighteen and gape at him. “That's thirteen.” He nods and smiles. “So…” I gulp and look at papa, mommy and momma and they are all smiling. “We’re going to be living together for thirteen more Christmases?”

 

“Yes.” Papa replies and pats the spot between his legs and I scurry to settle between them and mommy, momma and Ruby are sitting the same as us. “So tomorrow evening when you come back from school we need to look at a new bed for you.”

 

“What’s wrong with my bed?” I don’t understand. “It’s brand new.”

 

“Nothing, but you are going to outgrow it.” Papa tells me. “So we’re going to get you a bigger bed.”

 

“What about Ruby? Can she have my bed?” I ask and papa kisses the top of my head.

 

“Yes, Gus, I think that’s an excellent idea.” I nestle back into his lap and smile.

 

FRANC’S BUNGALOW - SAME TIME

 

FRANC

 

I am staring at the ring. It is beautiful, simple and elegant. Mom has made me promise not to cook with it on. Markus is sitting by the pool, talking to dad.

 

“Hey sweetheart.” Mom wraps her arms round me. “You really had no idea, did you?” I shake my head. “I had an inkling.”

 

“When?!” I demand.

 

“When he got shot.” She smiles and gives me a squeeze. “You have to slow down and look around sometimes, babygirl.”

 

I sigh and turn around in her arms. “I…”

 

“Honey, what is it? Rupert! Markus!” She yells and I really wish she hadn’t! When they come in she transfers me to Markus’s arms. And they all look at me.

 

“It was always our thing, like our secret language and…”

 

“Yes. Let me speak to your grandfather.” Dad kisses my forehead. “But I think he will stay where he is because he actually likes it there. He doesn’t have you as competition. No, don’t bridle! He’s good at what he does; he’s making his own way on his own. But yes, we will give his passport back.”

 

“Thank you.” I sigh and now the big question. “Can I go after him?”

 

“Oh I thought you’d never ask!” Dad grins at me and grabs his phone. “Dad, how are you and George? Excellent, excellent. Guess who wants to go hunting?!” He starts to write something down before pausing. “But that’s...oh even better!” He laughs. “Go back and scrunch your toes!” He chuckles to himself for a minute. “So, Lara Croft, you want to go treasure hunting, do you? Well sadly, you don’t have to leave the States. Ethan Gold is back here…”

 

“Wait. What now?” Mom growls.

 

“Down tigress.” Dad laughs. “He’s in the States but not sure where. Dad is going to put Reginald on it and once we locate him....”

 

“He’s mine.” I growl.

 

Ours. I’m going with you. The whole point of marrying you is to spend the rest of our lives together, not the rest of our lives in jail!” Markus laughs.

 

RODNEY’S HOUSE - MONDAY LUNCHTIME

 

KITCHEN

 

VIC

 

“You want to tell me what is going on?” I ask.

 

“Michael doesn’t want to change. However, the idea I have is that he must. He always thought Brian was trying to fuck him out of his system. So…” He laughs. “We tell him that Brian is missing him and Justin is a stop gap as he thought, and now with marriage coming up and Brian’s pride...UGH! If only he could be like Justin in his mannerisms and kindness then…”

 

“Oh you are evil!” I laugh.

 

KINNETIC - SAME TIME

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

I am going to kill him! Slowly. With my dick! I look across at a very smug looking Justin as he sits opposite me on the sofa. When he came in, he told me to strip down to my boxers. So I did so, quickly, but I was a little taken aback when he took out lunch!

 

“You going to take your second bite?” He asks as he wiggles.

 

“What is this called again?” I demand and try to ignore the screaming for more that my stomach is doing.

 

“BI Burger.” He replies. “It tastes better hot.”

 

I take another bite and glare at him. “You should be ashamed as a gay man that you called it that.” I point out and lick the sauce off of the corner of my mouth.” I pause and take another bite. “Is there Beam in the sauce?” He nods and then I ignore him while I finish it off!

 

“Good?” He sighs stretching out on the sofa and pulls out some salad.

 

“What do you think? What does the I stand for in the burger?” I snuggle behind him and we feed each other salad.

 

“Insanity.” He replies between mouthfuls.

 

“We need a blanket for in here.” I pull him back against me when I see the goosebumps.

 

“Mmm.” He replies and then reaches in the basket again before turning on his back and handing me a piece of paper then going pink.

 

“What is…” I stare at it. “Our rings?” He nods shyly. “Can you reach my phone?” He frowns but hands it to me. “Good afternoon, this is Brian Kinney from Kinnetic, I would like to book an appointment to have my wedding rings customised. When is the earliest you can do that? Right, thank you.”

 

“Brian?” His eyes glisten and he gives a tremulous smile. “Who did you just call?”

 

“Tiffany’s, of course.” I smile and kiss him gently. “They, like you, are perfect. And I think we should let Gus design the collars for Rhubarb and Custard.”

 

“Brian…” His voice is firm. “You cannot get collars from…” He trails off when he looks into my face. “You really want to?”

 

“Yeah.” I murmur. “We don’t have to do Tiffany’s. How about we get Swarovski crystals and he and Chandra can have at it?”

 

He nods and rubs his feet against the sofa. “We need to speak to Emmy first though.” He burrows back tighter into my chest.

 

“No. We need to do something else first…get dressed.” I order.

 

Twenty minutes later, we’re in Bloomingdale’s getting some of the best quality blankets!

 

“I will always keep you warm.” I whisper in his ear and the sunshine smile makes my heart soar.

 

DINER - WEDNESDAY LUNCHTIME

 

CARL

 

I just can’t see this working! I look across at Ben and he is of the same mind. “The only way this will work is if everyone but Brian and Justin are involved.” Blake decrees, rejoining us.

 

“I agree. But how the hell do we get Mr Stubborn to change?” Daph asks. “Oh Hunter, want me to get your script refilled?” He nods. “Seriously, that manchild is so annoying! Bri-an! I have bought new comics! Bri-an! Gus is being mean to me! Bri…” She trails off as everyone in the diner is staring at her. “What?”

 

“That was scarily accurate.” I shudder.

 

“Where’d he go?” Vic asks as he approaches the booth.

 

“Who?” I ask.

 

“Michael. I just heard his familiar whine.” He gently waves me in and sits down.

 

Rodney follows soon after, sighing heavily. “Well, where is he?”

 

“Wasn’t him. That was Daphne.” Hunter laughs.

 

“You?” Rodney demands and then smiles. “Can you do me?”

 

“Keep talking for a bit…” She orders and soon is doing a perfect imitation of Rodney. “How’s that?”

 

“Perfect!” Kiki declares.

 

“Now do George.” Rodney is almost dancing in his seat.

 

“I need to hear his voice a couple of times…” He reaches for his phone and plays back a message George left for him. “Okay got it. I…”

 

“Wait!” Rodney demands and quickly dials a number. “Randy, it’s me. Where’s George? Great! Now listen!”

 

“Franc, give me those knuckledusters right now. You are a lady and a lady doesn’t smash a person in the face.”

 

“Who the hell is that?!” We hear George exclaim.

 

“Daphne!” Rodney laughs.

 

“Where are you guys? Are you at the diner?” Randy demands.

 

“Yes! Do you think we have it?” Rodney is almost fit to bursting.

 

“Yes! Yes we do! We have our in!” George sounds gleeful. “Do not move from there!”

 

An hour later, they come bustling over.

 

GEORGE

 

“Debs darling, we need you and the back office!” He calls out as she comes in. She nods and waves. “Well, come on then!” He orders the rest of us and we follow some frowning, but Vic and Rodney smiling!

 

As soon as Debs joins us, Daph renders her silent with a pitch perfect impression of her.

 

“How many times do you need to hear the voice?” Rodney asks.

 

“Three or four usually. But it has to be different times as the pitch is different dependent on the emotion.”

 

“I got a voicemail from him when he was coming over that night. He was really resigned and sad. Is that what you are thinking of?” Debs smirks.

 

“Exactly that. Now play it a couple of times.” Randy kisses the back of George’s hand.

 

Twenty minutes later, she hangs up.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

I knew it! I knew he wanted me in his life!



http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/insanity-burger/

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks