- Text Size +

CHAPTER 76 - THE GGs HAVE FUN AND PURGING GHOSTS

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

I look at the new number for Brian, the number that only I have and punch the air in delight! When he called me, I wasn’t at all surprised…

 

Start of flashback

DINER

 

DAPH

 

“This is for you.” George hands me a new cell and then flicks through his. “And this is Brian’s number. Dottie, can you give Debs the script so that we can see if that’s something that Brian would say?”

 

Dottie...oh how adorable!

 

“Okay, he would call him Mikey when he’s backing down as we now know what he was doing. Vic, you take a look…” Vic looks at it and makes quick notes and hands it back to me. “Now everyone, be quiet and let her take it in.”

 

I read the speech over and over again. I put the call on speaker and take a deep breath. He picks up hesitantly. “Mikey, it’s Brian. I know…” I pause.

 

“Brian! My ex-best friend Brian? Why do you have a new number?” He demands. “Thought I was dead to you! You made it abundantly…”

 

“Michael listen! Are you listening?” I snap, almost losing the inflection.

 

“Yes, I’m listening.”

 

“You know I’m getting married?”

 

He snorts. “Yeah I heard. So congratulations, I guess. Was that all…?”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“What’s wrong? You don’t sound like a happy soon to be husband.” He sounds gleeful and Vic claps his hands over Debs’ mouth. “Everything okay with Justin?” He says his name with such disgust.

 

“I just don’t…”

 

“It’s too soon for you, isn’t it? I know you Brian and it’s too soon. It’s not what you want…”

 

“I do want to get married but…”

 

He gasps. “But…”

 

“As much as I love Justin, he’s just doesn’t have the history that we have…”

 

“I know that. I know. So what are we going to do about this?”

 

Gotcha!

 

“You want me to tell him? After all, I have always kicked out your tricks. He’s just stayed longer!” He snickers and I could swear he just skeeted on himself in joy. “I can see what you see with him though; he does have a certain appeal. So what’s he like? As your best friend, we don’t have secrets from each other anymore, do we?”

 

I watch Debs almost rip Vic’s hand off her mouth and Randolph is frantically shaking his head.

 

“I’m not going to lie…” I leave that sentence hanging there. “But the thing is, I want the best of both worlds. I want my best friend to be in my world but he can’t be if he stays the way he is…”

 

“What do you want me to do?!” He asks, excitedly. “I’ll change for you! You know that!”

 

“Be like Justin, but not Justin. Have that drive, that enthusiasm. His finesse…”

 

“You want me to become la-di-dah! That’s not me, Brian.” He whines.

 

“Mikey, you said…”

 

“Okay, okay!” He interrupts quickly. “But how do I do that? I know nothing about being prissy like him…”

 

“Well ask on the Avenue. Don’t make it so obvious and obviously we didn’t have this conversation. And don’t call me, let me call you. I mean it Mikey! For this to work, it has to be like we’re still not friends.

 

“But I miss talking to…”

 

“I know. But the Avenue thinks we’re not. Just start the change and suddenly I see you for you and...”

 

“Then it will be as it always should’ve been.” He sighs dreamily. “Okay, Brian I love you. Always have…”

 

“I gotta go. Justin’s coming!” I whisper harshly and hang up, making the gagging face!

 

We all look at each other incredulously. “So now what?” I ask, shuddering.

 

“We do the rest.” Rodney growls. “I cannot wait for him to change for nothing!

 

“No I mean, what do we do about Brian and Justin? Especially Brian, he’s going to notice the change.” Rodney and Vic start to laugh and we all frown. “What?”

 

“He not going to notice.” Vic smiles. “Is he girls?”

 

“Oh no, not at all.” George chortles.

 

“Why not?” I ask.

 

“Well he’s not going to be here.” Randolph smirks. “He’s going to be in Los Angeles being WASP-ified…”

 

“Los Angeles? What’s in Los Angeles?” Hunter asks and then frowns as Rodney starts to laugh harder.

 

“Not a what but a whom. And that who is Lindsay. Lindsay isn’t allowed back in Pittsburgh under threat of being disinherited. And knowing Michael, he will brag to her that he’s finally getting his wish. She will disbelieve it until she calls Brian to double check…”

 

“Surely, Michael isn’t that stupid?” I gasp and then grimace. “Sorry forgot who I was talking about!”

End of flashback

 

I head to the bedroom and pull out my very own pair of Prada shoes...my wedding shoes!

 

SEABIRD ENTERPRISES, CALIFORNIA - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

SECURITY OFFICES

 

REGINALD

 

I grimace as I look at what Raymond considered a catch! He looks like he’s in need of a good wash! I know it’s a job and stuff but I was seriously pissed to have to be here. Don’t get me wrong it. I’m happy that it got me away from Nobodny, but I didn’t get to ask Kiki out nor do I have her number to do so!

 

“Okay Reginald focus!” I tell myself and look at the pictures again then frown. He’s in California but not at the house that Raymond used to own. He’s at the beach. I grab the phone and call Raymond. “Raymond, its Reginald. Gold is back in Cali. Do you know if he knows any...what place? Where? Are there cameras in there? Can you get a key to me, by Friday morning? Thanks.” I lean back and send my report to Rupert and Randolph.

 

Ten minutes later, my phone pings and I get a text from Raymond. I blink rapidly and dial the number. “H-hi uh Kiki, it’s Reginald. Raymond gave me your number…”

 

JUSTIN’S HOUSE - SATURDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

We’re kissing on the sofa. The lovemaking earlier in the shower was slow, gentle and wonderful. We’re wearing our robes and that’s it. As much as I love kissing him, I have to admit to being hungry. And right on cue, my stomach grumbles slightly.

 

“Okay, let me feed my man.” He mumbles against my lips.

 

“What is it? It smells great.” I hold him down gently but he shakes his head. “Can I at least have a clue about country and courses?”

 

“Vietnamese and two.” He replies, playing with my nipple. My stomach growls louder. “I can hear you but your owner is not letting me up!” He giggles, prodding me in said stomach. Sighing, I let him up and he heads to the kitchen. “Can you set the table please? The low one before you start to pout!”

 

I poke my tongue out at his retreating back but do as I’m told, before going to collect the chopsticks and checking the fridge for wine.

 

“No wine. Ice coffee martinis in the shaker.” He calls from the stove, peering into the dish. “Here, what do you think?” He’s holding his finger to my lips and I suck it into my mouth and nod. “Great, now get out of here and let me serve.”

 

I wait patiently for him to come back, discovering that I am rather keen to taste the martini. “First course, BBQ fish sauce wings.” He puts down the plate and my mouth starts to water.

 

“Oh, that’s good.” I groan as I put another two on my plate before the first one is finished.

 

He watches me with a small smile and I sigh. “So about Michael?” I prompt.

 

“I would understand if…”

 

“If I let myself down? And let Gus and you down by letting Michael back into my...no, our lives. How would you be understanding, exactly? It is just wrong. You make me want to be better and if I make mistakes, you let me own them and don’t judge me for them. He sees me as perfect but doesn’t accept that I make mistakes unless they affect him.” The slow rise of his sunshine smile is tinged with pure relief. “We are done with the subject of him. We’re never talking about him again, especially here or at home. Deal?”

 

“Deal. Now with a kiss as promise.” I happily lean across and love the saltiness of his mouth.

 

“So our rings; what metal?”

 

“Um white gold or platinum…” He sucks the bone clean. “Would look good.” Our fingers slide over each other’s as we battle for the remaining wings. “Hey! You still have two on your plate!”

 

“Says the man who has three!” I raise an eyebrow.

 

“Chef’s prerogative.” He declares smugly. “Oh, this martini is a bit deadly. Let’s not do it at home. We don’t want Gus mistaking it for a milkshake.” I lean across and kiss him and drop the wing on his plate. “Why?”

 

“What you just said about Gus.” I sigh happily. “Want me to get the next course?”

 

We’ll get it.” He decrees round a mouthful of wings. “I know you, mister!” He laughs. “You’ll start eating from the bottom if left on your own.”

 

“Nothing wrong with eating from the bottom.” I smirk and he gives me the now Gus Kinney patent pending really look. “Well there isn’t.” I chuckle and pull him up and we carry the dishes back to the kitchen. “So what is it?”

 

“Whole chilli and lemongrass seabream.” He pulls the foil off the fish and the smell is exquisite. “And a simple salad because the flavours are quite punchy.”

 

“At the risk of sounding like a bossy bottom, let’s eat now!” I demand.

 

My bossy bottom, if you please! Yeah, my bossy bottom... I like the sound of that.” He grins and sashays in front of me.

 

RAYMOND’S BEACHFRONT APARTMENT - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

ETHAN

 

Oh it is so good to be back in the US! As much as I loved going round the world on his dime...seriously how stupid is that man...I did miss the creature comforts. I have ordered some food to be delivered today. I should really practice with Mischka, but today I just want to lounge around the beach.

 

The door knocking get my attention. I stroll languidly across to open it and my jaw hits the floor. In my absence, the concierge boys have improved! I step aside and let the hulk of a man come in.

 

“Just put it in the kitchen over there.” I tell him and watch his back muscles ripple as he carries the box with ease.

 

“There’s another box.” He tells me. “Be right back.”

 

“Take your time. Do you want a water to go as you must be quite warm?” I call over my shoulder.

 

“Please!” He shouts back.

 

I rifle in the fridge and find the coldest one I can. “Where’d you want me?” He drawls and I turn round then lose the ability to speak.

 

“Hello Ethan.” Raymond smiles coldly. “So nice to see you.”

 

Holy fucking fuck!

 

“Raymond! I…”

 

“Almost committed fraud by strolling away with $4 million of my money. Yes, I know. How much is left?”

 

“Um, just over $2mil…” I start to formulate a plan. Ray is easy to manipulate. “But I knew I had hurt you so I came back to…”

 

“What?” An all too familiar voice growls and I freeze. “Came back to what, exactly?” Franc demands, stepping into the kitchen.

 

“This is between myself and Raymond, Franc. If Raymond wants to tell you what we discussed afterwards then that’s fine, but right now he and I need to discuss this alone.”

 

“No. You stole from my family and that makes it my business! You hurt my brother and that makes it my business!” She rifles through the shopping I ordered. “My oh my...caviar, the good stuff. Smoked salmon, blinis, Wagyu beef and lamb rack.”

 

“Raymond, please can we talk alone?” I beseech in my best voice.

 

“No.” Franc interrupts. “Now come in here so we can talk.” She walks back into the lounge and Raymond follows. “I mean now Ethan or we will call the police.”

 

I head quickly to the lounge and find Franc opening a laptop. She pats the seat next to her and I slowly sit down. “Log into your bank account and move the remains of the money back to my account.”

 

“Franc!” Raymond objects and I feel reassured that they are still estranged, especially when she rolls her eyes.

 

“I owe the money to Raymond so I will pay it back to Raymond.” I assert.

 

“Fine.” She concedes and hands over the laptop and I stare at her. “I’m not you but I will give you privacy.” She sneers and stands up to let me login alone.

 

I sigh as I see the amount of money I, I mean we have left and look across at Ray. “So is it the same bank account?” He nods...of course, nothing has changed for him! “I still need the details.”

 

“Okay Freckle, it’s back...all three million of the money that he had left.” I turn to the voice and it’s the delivery man! And then I look back to the screen and the money is gone...all of it!

 

“What the fuck?!” I gasp and look at a smug looking Franc.

 

“Rigged laptop.” She grins. “Moment you logged in, we went in behind and took back what was ours.”

 

“Ray, you realise that you aren’t going to get the money back from her!” I snarl. “I would’ve given back to you!”

 

“Yeah the $2 million you said you had, but would’ve kept the $1 million for yourself!” He spits...actually spits at me!

 

“Ray…” I soothe and approach him but he steps back, shaking his head. “Ray…” I try again.

 

“I had genuine feelings for you. Yeah, I took perverse pleasure in putting you on the same ship as Franc as she...as you yourself said...had the measure of you. But my feelings were real!” He sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. “But all you saw were the dollar signs, my weakness and jealousy and made hay.” He heads to the balcony and it isn’t until I hear the click that I realise he has Mischka in his hands. “She’s really very beautiful. I remember your face when I bought her. You never paid me back for her like you said you would...”

 

“Ray…” I take a step towards him.

 

“Well since, technically she’s mine, what I give I can take back…” He takes her by the neck and smashes her against the wall of the building with all his might and then stamps on her remains.

 

“RAY!” I scream as the shards of Mischka skitter round the balcony. “What have you done?!”

 

“Reginald, can you remove this person from my premises please?” He orders, ignoring me completely!

 

“Sure! We will send your things on but you are out now.” He steps towards me, smirking.

 

“Bu-but Mischka…” I blubber. “Ray, where will I go?”

 

“Don’t know. Don’t fucking care.” He flicks the shards of Mischka dismissively and heads to the door. “Also can you arrange for the locks to be changed and the place fumigated?”

 

“Yes. Leave it with me.”

 

“Thanks. Franny, have a safe journey back.” He leans across to her and kisses her cheek.

 

Franny!” I sneer. “Oh come on! You two have actually kissed and made up?! And after all you said about her?!” I laugh bitterly.

 

“Yep.” He replies simply and with a wink, leaves.

 

“The things I could tell you he said...” I snipe as I stomp to the bedroom to collect my things.

 

“Oh please do…” She drawls. “But um, what are you doing with those?” She points to my things. “You bought it with our money and we want that money back, ergo you leave in exactly what you own…guys!” The bedroom door is flung open and 2 guys and 2 women come in. “You see, that’s one of the benefits of itemised billing.” She sneers and opens the wardrobe. “You bought all of these…” She gestures to my wardrobe. “After you left him. So they come with us. Here grab a list each you guys and have at it. And while they do that, you are going to strip!” She orders.

 

An hour later, we are standing outside the apartment building. She is looking very smug and I am in just my underwear and a pair of shoes! Raymond is howling with laughter, sitting in my Lamborghini. I watch as everything is loaded into a van.

 

“Fr-Franny, you are just evil!” He manages to get out.

 

“I’m adorable.” She smiles at him before turning to me. “Leave with as little dignity as you can and know this, I will always be watching you.” I glare at her and start to walk away but she calls me back. “I gave you a chance with watching, but no. You still tried to walk away with a $16,000 watch. Give it.” She growls.

 

RAYMOND

 

“Oh for fuck sake, Ethan!” I yell and get out of the car. I grab his wrist and rip the watch off it. Then I grab his bag and open it. His eyes widen as I dump it out on the ground and I start to sift through the contents. I shake my head as I see he has secreted some things. Inside is his phone and two sets of diamond earrings, which I know I gave him before he left me. “You won’t need these anymore!” I hiss. “Franc!” I shout back to her and she’s quickly by my side. “Take these, this, this, this and these!” She gawps at me, but silently does as I ask. “Thanks, now can you give me a minute?” I ask and she nods before backing away.

 

“Now pick up your actual stuff and go away. Find someone else to suck the life out of.” I get up and watch him quickly pack his things and start to walk away.

 

“You were fucking shit in bed!” Ethan shouts at me.

 

“Jete m 'yon seri!” I snap at Franc as she does so quickly and I catch up with him easily. Once I turn him around, I give him a quick jab to the nuts. Although he doesn’t scream, he does crumple to the ground, gasping in pain.

 

“That’s not what Brian said!” I am joined by Franc, and taken aback by her statement. But upon looking at him, I relish his look of shock.

 

“Y-you are lying!” He spits out through clenched teeth.

 

“Why don’t we call him and find out?!” Franc declares and as she dials a number, he shuffles upright.

 

“Kinney.” His eyes bug out of his head.

 

“Hey, it’s Franc. Ray asked me to call you. He’s getting a plane now and was wondering if you could go a third…”

 

“Third?” He laughs. “Let me speak to Justin. Tell him we’ll sort something out.”

 

Seriously what the fuck just happened?!

 

“Buh-bye Ethan. The Stud of Liberty Avenue, His Prince and Ray have a date!” Franc sneers and get up then walks away.

 

I watch him slowly get up and head to whothefuckcares! As I head back to the car, Franc approaches me. “You good?” She asks gently.

 

“I will be.” I brush away a tear and she opens her arms. For the first time in years, she comforts me.

 

“Se pou l 'ale, frè m' lan kite l 'ale.” She whispers in my ear as I sob my heart out.

 

Ten minutes later, I have managed to compose myself. “So how the hell did you manage to get Brian on the phone?”

 

“She didn’t.” I whirl around and am looking at Daphne!

 

“Wha…” I stammer and ten minutes later, I am crying with laughter as they explain what they did and what they are going to do to one Michael Nobodny before getting into the car with Franc.

 

“They are going to have a monster party, aren’t they?” I look worriedly back as Nathan, Hunter and Daphne make their way excitedly back up to the apartment.

 

“Which is why the apartment is being fumigated after they come back.” Franc laughs. “I am hoping that Reginald and Kiki will keep them somewhat contained. Oh nice going, Mr Romantic!”

 

“Shut up!” I blush and shove her in the shoulder.

 

“So anybody in London that caught your eye?”

 

“Again, shut up!” I squeal.





http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/bbq-fish-sauce-wings/

 

http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/whole-chilli-and-lemongrass-sea-bream/

 

Vietnamese Iced coffee martinis: strong coffee or espresso: 50ml; vodka 100ml, coffee liqueur 50ml and condensed milk 25ml. Put everything in a cocktail shaker filled with iced. Shake really well, strain and pour into chilled long glasses over ice.

 

Jete m 'yon seri - throw me a set

Se pou l 'ale, frè m' lan kite l 'ale - let it go brother let it go

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.