- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8 – SOFA SO GOOD

 

END OF DAY 10 AND DAY 11

 

FRANC

 

I start to set up the projector but then I catch the yawn from Vic. I also notice that Mel and Rodney are back in the tent.

 

“Okay time to go!”  I yell.  “You can watch it tomorrow.  Everyone is done in. Joseph, can you bring her around?”

 

He nods and heads to do as I ask with the rest of the crew.  Everyone else, apart from those who are resting, help pack up the stuff. But I do notice that Michael’s eyes open a couple of times but he doesn’t get up to help. So not only is he an ignorant whelp, he’s a lazy asshole too!

 

We load the stuff on and lo and behold, suddenly he’s awake.  “Oh I needed that sleep. Blake, you were so right.” He stretches and I fight not to roll my eyes or knock him out again!

 

“Okay let’s get boarded.  Guys sorry, you’re going to have to wake him up.”  I grimace.  “The preserver is on the boat.”

 

“I’ll do it.”  Mel walks over and gently wakes Gus up. He slowly climbs into her arms and when she reaches the shoreline, he leans across for daddy. Justin has Rhubarb over his shoulder much to Brian’s amusement. While he does sand, he most definitely does not do water!

 

“You pooped Sonny Boy?”  Gus nods tiredly.  “You need to stay awake for a few more minutes so we can put on your special jacket when we get on the boat. Then you can go have a nap, okay?”

 

As everyone gets on board, the smell hits us all roughly the same time!  “Jesus we need baths. We smell like a cross between a BBQ and a canning factory!”  I laugh as Joseph starts her up and we head back to the quayside.

 

ON THE CRUISER

 

MICHAEL

 

I follow Brian below deck and watch from the door as he puts a tired Gus in bed for a nap.

 

“Did you have a good time?”  I ask when he closes the door behind him.

 

“I can stay with him Mr Brian. I’m a bit tired too.”  One of the kids comes down.

 

“Oh thanks Shaba.”  He opens the door and the kid slips inside. He looks back at me and frowns.  “Yeah it was excellent. But what happened to you? You’ve got the beginnings of a couple of black eyes.”

 

“Are you kidding me?!”  I demand and run to the bathroom and he’s right. The bruises under my eyes are beginning to form.  I sigh and make my way back upstairs only to be grabbed by Emmett.

 

“A word and no, it is not up for discussion!”  He drags me back downstairs and into the bathroom.  “How dare you show such disrespect?!”  He hisses at me.  “Two things!  One Vic is your uncle and brought you up and secondly, how could you callously brush off how important those pills are?!  That was the second time you caused that case to be damaged!”

 

“I don’t…”

 

“No Michael, you don’t!  If you and I have to have a discussion about your behaviour again it will not involve words!”  He snarls and stalks out.

 

I can’t believe the way he’s just spoke to me!  Okay, I should’ve been more careful but that’s not the point.

 

“Emmett!” I shout to his retreating back.  “You don’t speak to me like that!  You seem to forget who I am!”

 

He pauses before turning round.  “Oh I never forget Michael.  You remind me, in fact the whole fucking world, every day!”  He snaps before disappearing from view.

 

“What do you mean?!”  I yell.  “Come back and tell me what you mean!!”  I bellow at the top of my lungs.

 

My yelling doesn’t bring Emmett back but it does bring Gus out.  “Unca Mikey, why are you shouting?  I was trying to sleep.”

 

Shaba also comes out and looks at Gus.  “Want me to take you to daddy?”

 

“I can do that thank you.”  I respond tartly but then that fucking cat curls round Gus’s feet.

 

ACHOOO!  ACHOOO!  ACHOOO!

 

“Come on Gus, I’ll take you to daddy.”

 

“Thank you Shaba.”  Gus yawns and takes his hand.

 

I feel my eyes start to itch and the burn of my skin…this has not been my fucking day!

 

SHABA

 

Poor Gus. He’s so tired, he’s almost falling over.  Rhubarb is close by.  “Rhubarb, I’m going to get his daddy. Stay with him, okay?”

 

I can’t believe I’m talking to a cat!

 

I run upstairs and find his daddy on the deck.  “Sorry Mr Brian but Mr Michael woke up Gus with his shouting at Mr Emmett.  He wants you but I can’t carry him, I got him as far as I could. He’s so…”

 

“Take me to him.”  Brian orders. I like that he immediately drops everything for Gus.

 

“Guys, make a nest!”  I call back.

 

When we get back to Gus, Rhubarb is still with him. He’s struggling to stay awake, jerking back up when his head droops.

 

“Oh Gus.”  Brian scoops him into his arms.  “Come on.”

 

When we get back on deck, there’s blankets rolled into a huge circle like a cat bed, just big enough for a 4 year old boy and his cat.

 

“Put him in here.”  I tell him and as soon as he does, Rhubarb gets in with him.

 

“Won’t he be too hot?”  Miss Debs asks.

 

“With the sea breeze no.”  Aunt Franc looks at Uncle Joseph.  “How long till we dock?”

 

“Another 30 minutes if we top it, but topping makes it bumpy.”

 

I don’t understand why some people are laughing.

 

QUAYSIDE – 50 MINUTES LATER

 

DEBS

 

Oh I am going to miss those boys. They were so kind and sweet and the pearls, oh the pearls!

 

Michael is inflamed again so he’s gone with Blake and we’re looking at the remains of the drink.  As in what the fuck do we do with it all?

 

Franc is comes back after making sure her cruiser is docked properly.  “What are you guys doing?  Go to your suites. I’ll make sure the booze is brought up.  You can fight over who gets what later.”

 

“I need to get Gus upstairs. He needs a shower... no, actually a bath and bed.”

 

“Mr Justin come too?”  Gus asks hopefully.  He woke about 20 minutes into being put into the nest and was chatting away but he’s starting to flag. I think the bath will be the end of him for the night.

 

“Sure. I think I will have another reason to be there.”  Justin replies mysteriously and follows Brian up the gangplank.

 

“Seriously, we can keep all the booze?”  Carl asks.

 

“Well the Kinney party gets to take them.”  Franc looks at me then Carl.  “Who they invite to share their hoard is up to them.  Let me get the trolley.”

 

DEBS’ SUITE – HALF AN HOUR LATER

 

CARL

 

Well I can’t believe it.  This is turning out to be one of the best holidays of my life.

 

“May I offer you a red, a white, a beer, some bubbles or something stronger?” Deb asks.

 

“What’s the stronger?”  I chuckle.

 

“Me.  In very small, easy for you to manage, doses.”  She smiles uncertainly.

 

“I’ll take it.”  I grin and pull her down next to me.

 

BEN’S QUARTERS

 

EMMETT

 

“I can’t believe that asshole!  That asshole!”  I whirl around the room.  “That case doesn’t contain cosmetics for fuck sake!”

 

“I didn’t see what happened but he didn’t seem all that contrite.”  He hedges.

 

“Unless it involves getting into Brian’s good books, he’s never sorry!”  I snap and then shake my head.  “Sorry. I’ve ruined a great day by raging like a deranged queen.”

 

“Not at all.  You have a right to be angry with his behaviour.  Vic clearly means a lot to you.”

 

“So how…”  I sit down and he hands me a glass of wine.  “How did you become infected?”

 

He looks surprised.  “How did you know?”

 

I shrug and then smile.  “You were so concerned.  Correction, too concerned.  And then I saw that all too familiar pill.”

 

“Ah yes.”  He sighs.  “And it doesn’t bother you?”

 

I shake my head.

 

“Okay, my ex-boyfriend was cheating on me for however long, I don’t know.  But we were drunk and horny and bare-backed just one time and…”

 

“One time is all it take.”  I nod in understanding.  “How long?”

 

“Three years.  The sea air helps.”  He smiles.  I have to admit he does look good.

 

“Do they know?  Your employers, I mean?”

 

He nods. “I used to be a professor but after I was diagnosed I figured fuck it and trained to be a sea captain.”

 

“Well I’m glad you did.”  I grin.  “Now you need to do one of two things, either move to the other chair.  Or pick head or feet because I need to stretch out on this couch.  I’m exhausted!”

 

“Head.”  He replies and stands up.

 

BRIAN’S SUITE – BATHROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I can’t help but laugh to myself.  When we got back to the suite, sitting outside looking highly unimpressed was Custard.  I just stared at him and then back at Justin.

 

“Uh why?”  I ask as Gus and Rhubarb greet him enthusiastically.

 

“Like you’ve said, Justin!”  Leda snickers.  “They are good judges of character.  And Custard doesn’t share his hauteur with just anyone.  You’ve found a kindred spirit there Brian.”

 

“Hauteur?”  I query as I let them in. Immediately, Rhubarb and Custard settle on the window sill to, presumably, catch up as cats do.

 

“Um, it’s a nice way of saying…uh arrogance.”  He looks embarrassed.

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Daddy, can I shower in the morning?”  Gus is looking longingly in the lounge and I know he wants to play with them but it’s getting late.

 

“No.  You are having a bath young man.  Now come on.”  I reply firmly and I start to set the bath.”

 

“Okay daddy.  Oh Mr Justin you can help too.  Daddy says I get squirmy in the bath!  But it’s so fun like a very small but warm pool.”

 

And true to form, he was squirmy and wriggly and all three of us ended up soaking wet.

 

“You might as well have the water while I get him into his PJs.”  I laugh and carry a giggling but starting to get sleepy Gus out.

 

“Daddy, can I sleep with you again?”  He yawns.

 

“Yes of course.  Now into these for you.  I need to find something for Mr Justin to wear since you drenched him so much.”

 

Once Gus is settled in the bed, I head to the many shopping bags to find something but can’t.  Then I think to my sweats, well lounge suits and pull out a set. I knock on the bathroom door.

 

“Justin!”

 

“Come in!”

 

The bathroom is full of steam and he pokes his head out of the shower.  Blinking to get the water out of his eyes.

 

“Lounge suit on the seat; just return them when you’re done.”

 

“Thanks!”  He beams at me and goes back under the shower.

 

When he came out, he looked so fucking sexy. I wanted to rip them off him there and then.

 

“Mr Justin?”  Gus calls out.  “Can you read to me while daddy has his shower?”

 

“Of course.”

 

After I hang the towel up, I head back to the bedroom and come to a halt.  Quickly and quietly, I grab my camera.  Gus and Justin are curled up together sound asleep with Rhubarb behind Gus and Custard laying across Justin’s feet.

 

“So it’s the sofa for me then?”  I sigh and gently bring the door too and pad to the lounge.

 

BRIAN’S SUITE – MORNING

 

GUS

 

I feel so warm and snuggly.  I open my eyes but there’s no Leather Bear.  I sit up and look around for him.  Rhubarb and Custard are with me as is Mr Justin but as well as no Leather Bear, I can’t see daddy.  I manage to get out of bed without waking anybody and go to the lounge.  I find daddy on the sofa and Leather Bear on the table.

 

Phew!  I would hate to lose Leather Bear, daddy gave it to me, he’s very important to me.

 

I’m a little hungry but I know I should brush my teeth before I eat but I can’t reach my toothbrush without daddy.  I knock on the door and momma is awake and opens the door.

 

“Hey momma.  How’s Bumpy?  I’m hungry but need to brush my teeth first.”

 

“Come on little man.  Bumpy is fine.”  She smiles at me and takes me to the bathroom.  Miss Leda smiles at me from the sofa. She’s here early.

 

A few minutes later, I go back to daddy’s suite and he’s still asleep.  I go to the bedroom and they're still asleep too.  I take an apple and settle on the chair next to daddy.

 

“Gus.  Hey Gus, wake up?”  I open my eyes and it’s Mr Justin.  “Daddy is still asleep. Let’s go sit on the balcony, okay?  You hungry?”

 

I nod and watch him cut up more fruit and then he lets me onto the balcony with a bowl. He goes and gets momma.

 

“Momma, isn’t today lovely?  Where’d Mr Justin go?”

 

“To try and wake Rhubarb and Custard.  They’re late sleepers like your daddy.”  She laughs. She’s been laughing a lot more these days and smiling.

 

“I’m not a late sleeper.”  Daddy grumbles and I laugh at his hair sticking up all over.  “You try fishing like that; it was exhausting.”

 

He ruffles my hair and smiles at momma.  “How you cooking?”

 

“Cooking just fine.”  She tells him.  “Want some juice?”

 

“You sit, I’ll get it.”  He tells her and then goes back inside. Miss Leda puts up the umbrella for momma so she doesn’t get too hot.

 

“Can we eat out here for breakfast daddy?!”  I shout.

 

“What a great idea!  We’ll be right up!”  A voice shouts.

 

“Auntie Emmy, is that you?!”  I shout back down.

 

“Yes sweetie, I’ll get the others!  Tell daddy not to call Tyler before we get there!”

 

“Okay Auntie Emmy!”  I shout back. I can’t believe I could speak to Auntie Emmy from up here!

 

“So we’re eating here, are we?”  Daddy has some juice for me and momma.

 

“Okay. We’ll be going.  I’ll send someone to do the sheets.”  Mr Justin says but then Rhubarb comes and sits under my chair.

 

“Rhubie, come on!”  Mr Justin orders and then looks at Custard.  “A little help.”

 

Custard stretches and then sits on daddy’s feet before turning to look at Mr Justin.

 

“They want to stay, Mr Justin.  And I want you to stay for breakfast too.  That’s alright, isn’t it daddy?”

 

“Sure Sonny Boy.”  He reaches towards Custard and tickles his ears.

 

I hear the door knock.  “Can I go daddy?”

 

“No Sonny Boy, I’ll go.”

 

BRIAN

 

I reluctantly move my feet from my vibrating foot warmer and head the door and it’s Emmy with Ted, Vic and Debs.  “Come in guys.”

 

“Carl and Rodney are on their way up. So is Tyler.”  Debs grins and heads to the balcony clutching a bottle of champagne.

 

“Uh Debs?”  I point at the bottle.

 

“What?  I’m on holiday!”  She giggles.

 

Soon the balcony is awash with chatter with Carl and Rodney having joined us.  “So a sailfish.  You mean this thing?”  Rodney shows me his phone.

 

“Yep that thing. It was awesome and when it leapt into the air we had to reel him down. I can’t wait to watch the video. But first I need a deep tissue massage.  My shoulders and back ache so much.”

 

“Oh you too!  I’ve book a spa afternoon to get the kinks ironed out!”  Emmy winces.

 

“I can get an appointment for you too, Mr Kinney?”  Tyler tells me and I almost want to hug him in relief.

 

“Please.”  He nods and walks away to sort that out.

 

“So what are you going to do about Seabird pitch?  We need to start that soon.”  Ted points out.

 

“I know.  To be honest, I don’t know how to pitch it. I mean yesterday was fantastic, it was fast, powerful and so frenetic.  I mean that sailfish coming out of the water it was like boom!  Seriously, wait till you watch the video of it.”

 

“Uh huh!”  Emmy nods and then sips the mimosa Tyler made.  “It was hot and sweaty... and the noises as we reeled and pulled the fish in... It was so, quite frankly sexy, and that was just the fishing.”

 

My cup pauses on its way to my mouth and I look at Emmy.  “Emmy, what did you just say?”

 

He looks confused.  “And that was just the fishing.”

 

“Wait.” Justin looks at me.  “I have an idea. If, maybe you could use the footage of the fishing but just the bodies of the men hauling fish with the sounds of them hauling fish but not actually seeing them haul fish and then have that strapline and that was just the fishing, maybe that would work?”

 

I walk up to him, tip his chin up and kiss him soundly. “You genius!  But fudgsicles, we need boards and we’ve got no-one to draw them!  Fudgsicles!”

 

“Daddy, Mr Justin can draw. Remember?”

 

I turn round to Justin, who seems to be frozen in shock.  “So Mr Justin, you gonna help?  I’ll pay a fee if we get this.”

 

“Justin sweetie, you okay?”  Emmy asks, clicking his fingers in front of his face and that brings him back to earth.

 

“Yeah, yeah sorry was thinking of another idea but that needs work.”  He mumbles.  “But yeah, I’m in!”

 

“Great, that’s fantastic!”  I grin at him and he grins back but goes pink.

 

“What’s fantastic?”  Michael comes out onto the balcony.

 

MICHAEL

 

ACHOOO!  ACHOOO!  “For crying out loud, can you get rid of those damn cats?!”  I snap heading back into the lounge.  “I don’t understand why they need to be here!”

 

“I like them Unca Mikey, so daddy said they could stay!”  Gus yells back.  “And they’re going to be with us for ages now that Mr Justin is going to be working with daddy. They’re going be able to stay lots.  Custard really likes daddy!”

 

“Pardon!!”  I shout back.

 

“Mr Kinney.”  Tyler interrupts before anyone can say anything.  “Your session is booked for three pm.”

 

“What session is this?” I ask, seeing this as an opportunity to finally have my time with Brian.

 

“Spa session.”  Tyler replies with a smile and starts to take the food out to them.

 

“Thanks!  Guys I’ll see you later!”  I run out of the room and head back to my suite.

 

MICHAEL’S SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

“Hello this is Michael Novotny. I’d like to book a spa session for three this afternoon, would that be possible?  I believe that Brian is already booked in?”  I pace the room while waiting for him to check. When he finally comes back and says that I have an appointment at the spa on the 3rd deck, I nearly whoop aloud in satisfaction.

 

Finally some alone time!

 

BRIAN’S SUITE

 

TYLER

 

“Right, everyone happy with their food?”  Everyone nods and smiles. These are very nice people... well mostly.  “Okay Mr Kinney with regards to your spa session. We thought it would be best to have that on the island.  Between me and you all, Hal and the team in the spa aren’t as good as he thinks he is.  The people in the spas on the islands are so much better.  He’s one of Ray’s favourites.” I smile knowingly and there are nods of acknowledgement.

 

“Oh wait, can you move my appointment?”  Emmett asks and I notice Justin rub his back.

 

“Yes, of course. Emmett and Justin, I’ll book you one too.  In fact, Mel would you like a mom and baby massage?”

 

“Oh god yes!”  Mel cries in delight.

 

I tap my pad for a few minutes.  “Okay. How about a spa session for all of you and then dinner in town. Gus will be fine, trust me. When I’m on this island, I have my little boy in there when I need my knots untangled!”

 

“Wait, I can look after Gus.”  Leda suggests.

 

“Perfect, just perfect.”  Ted smirks at Mel.

 

“And yes Ted, I will let Blake know where I’ve booked for dinner.”  I wince as he goes red and I think I’ve pushed it too far.

 

“Thanks Tyler.  That saves me a phone call or a walk.”  Ted mutters.

 

“And if you could let Ben know where to find Emmett that would be good too.”

 

“Brian!”  Emmett shrieks and buries his head in his napkin.

 

I can’t help but laugh and then leave them to it.

 

JUSTIN

 

He kissed me!  Okay it wasn’t a full on snogfest but he kissed me!  I am so glad that when we’re on the islands, we get the time off and that the compound crew take over the ship.  I have finished my brunch and I need to go but after just one more chapter with Gus.

 

SPA SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m pissed off that those fucking cats didn’t leave for ages. Justin and Leda went but everyone else stayed. One cat was in the lounge and the other was on the balcony...so annoying!

 

But I’m here for my appointment and I can’t wait!

 

“Mr Novotny?”  The receptionist asks and I nod.  “Okay if you go the changing rooms over to your right, then the room is to down the corridor, first door on the left. Hal is waiting for you both.

 

“Great thanks!”  I grin and head to the changing rooms.  

 

The redness has definitely gone and the black eyes haven’t come through but I do have some yellowing.

 

I head to the spa room and smile at my masseur.  “Hi my name is Hal and this is Fred we will be your masseurs today.  Brian will be in momentarily.  Now he’s having the deep tissue followed the salt scrub then full body wax. I understand you want the same?” As he says that he looks me up and down.  “Have you waxed before?”  

 

I have but it hurt like fuck but if Brian’s getting it, so am I!

 

“Yes I have.”

 

“Okay let us begin.”  Hal smiles at me.  “If you could lie down on your back and make sure your head is in the hole.”

 

I settle down.  “Ah Brian hello, please can you assume the same position as Michael.”

 

Two hours later, I’m so glad that the massage, scrubbing and waxing is over. For something that is supposed to be relaxing, it really hurt!  We’ve got towels wrapped round our heads having a steam wrap.  

 

“Okay Michael, we’re going to unwrap you now and then tackle those brows.  Brian needs a few more minutes.”  Hal tells me and although I wince with every pluck, I don’t make a sound.  

 

As the towel is unwrapped from Brian’s head, the first words out of my mouth are.  “Who the fuck are you?!”

 

“My thoughts exactly!”  The guy growls back.

 

I get dressed quickly and am about to go to my suite when the receptionist calls out to me and once a-fucking-gain, I find myself taking my credit card out. I pay and then head to the bar. I need a fucking drink!

 

LILAH’S BAR

 

When I get there I march straight to the bar and am surprised to not find Franc there.

 

“Where’s Franc?!”  I demand.

 

“Sorry sir, you are?”  The guy behind the bar asks.

 

“Michael Novotny.  I’m part of the Kinney party.  Where’s Franc?”  I demand again.

 

He checks his iPad and then looks at me again.  “May I have your swipe card please, sir?”

 

Not this shit again!

 

I reach into my back pocket and can’t find it.  “He knows me!  Tyler!”  I call out and he comes running from his table.

 

“Can I help you, Mr Novotny?”  

 

I explain the situation and he leads me back to the suite.  

 

“I’ll leave you to it, Mr Novotny.  I need to return to my family.”

 

“Fine!”  I snap, when he leaves, my swipe card drops out of the pocket of my top as I grab my phone!  And of course the battery is flat!  I contemplate going to Brian’s suite but then decide that he can definitely fucking come to me!

 

I grab a comic and start to read.

 

BANANAS RESTAURANT - EARLY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

I don’t think I’ve ever been so relaxed. This was just what I needed!  Mel looks nice and relaxed too.  Gus was taken to the market and Leda said that he has a surprise for us but doesn’t want to give it to us until we’re on the way to the next island.  

 

We’re having a lovely dinner and suddenly Gus looks round the table.  “Daddy?  Where’s Unca Mikey?  Didn’t he want to come?”

 

The table goes quiet.  “Didn’t you mention it to him?”  I ask Debs, whose face drops.

 

“No, I thought you did.”  She replies, aghast.

 

“Okay so who’s going to check their phone first?”  Emmett asks.

 

Slowly but surely we take out our phones and are surprised that he hasn’t called.  

 

Suddenly, Justin snorts and then clears his throat before putting his phone away.  

 

“What?”  Ben asks.

 

“Huh?”  He tries to hedge.

 

“What was on your phone?”  Ben asks.

 

“Nothing.”  He replies looking down.

 

“As your captain, I order you to hand over your work phone.”  Ben tells him smirking and holding out his hand.  After a few seconds, Justin hands it over.

 

“What’s the code?”  Ben asks.

 

“1803.” He replies, starting to grin.

 

“Okay, let’s see what we have here...oh!”  Ben gapes and Emmy claps his hand over his mouth and snatches the phone out of his hand.  He reads what’s on there and starts to giggle.  

 

“Oh Brian, you have got to read this!”  He chortles, handing me the phone before whispering in Debs’ ear.

 

“Why would he think there was only one Brian on the ship?!”  Uncle Vic gasps as the phone is passed from person to person.

 

“Daddy, what’s so funny?”  Gus asks.

 

“Uncle Mikey did something silly and…”

 

“Again? He keeps doing silly things; I don’t understand it.  If I kept doing the same silly things then momma or you would tell me off.  Grandma, why don’t you tell him off for being silly?”  

 

Debs just looks dumbstruck.  “Um, I shall make sure that I do that more, Gus.  I promise.”

 

“Good.  This food is so yummy.  Not as yummy as Franc’s but yummy.”  We can’t help but agree with that.  Justin has cleared his plate and has ordered another po’boy.

 

“What? I like it.”  He shrugs and tucks in.  I wait for him to finish.

 

“Something has been bothering me for a bit.  You said when I returned Rhubarb and laughed at their names that you like animation.  Not seeing the connection.”

 

“Oh. Rhubarb and Custard is, sorry was, a cartoon from England about a cat and a dog.  The animation was basic but deliberately so.  I loved it.  And when I got the boys because of Custard’s colouring, he had to have that name and so it seemed natural to have Rhubarb.”

 

“Ah I see.”  I nod and smile and the rest of the dinner passes wonderfully.

 

CRUISE SHIP

 

BRIAN’S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

I’m slightly disappointed not to find Rhubarb and Custard outside my door but hide it well.  Justin carried Gus from the restaurant when he got too tired.  

 

“Your room?”  He asks.

 

“Wanna sleep with momma.”  Gus mumbles and Mel takes him with a smile and closes the interconnecting the door.

 

“Are you sure about working with us?  On the pitch, I mean?”  I ask.

 

“Of course. I can provide you with Seabird insider knowledge.”  He grins at me and then rubs his eyes.  “That massage did me in.  I’m going to go.  Goodnight Brian.”

 

He heads to the door.  “Say hi to Gus in the morning for me?”  

 

“I will.  Oh and Justin, your forfeit is paid.”  

 

He turns back to look at me with a frown.  “What do you mean?”

 

“You lost at fishing and had to eat oysters. You ate oysters.”

 

He narrows his eyes and starts to advance.  “No I didn’t.  I would’ve known if I was eating something that looked like snot!”

 

“Which is why they were deep fried.”  I shrug and wait.

 

“The-the sandwiches?  That was oysters?!”  He demands, stalking up to me looking really pissed off.  I start to back away.

 

“Um yeah.  You said you’d never had them so I asked the waiter to…”

 

“Supposing I was allergic?!  I’m highly allergic to things!”  He growls.

 

“But you’re not.  And I’m sorry; I didn’t think of that.”  I trail off embarrassed.

 

“Oh you have no idea how sorry!”  He snaps and before I know it he grabs a cushion and starts hitting me with it!

 

“You mean cheat!”  Biff!  “I could’ve…”  Biff!  “How could you…”  Biff!  “Oh I oughta…”  Biff!  Biff!

 

I can’t stop laughing in the face of his rightful indignation and curl myself in a ball on the sofa to let him biff it out.  But come on now... he had two of them!  I grab him by the waist and wrestle him giggling onto the sofa.  

 

“You had two of them!”  I point out laughing, managing to get one cushion off him but he is determined I’m not getting the other one.

 

“Ooh you monster!”  He wriggles trying to get out of my grasp,

 

“Okay I’m sorry, I’m sorry.  But you would’ve had to have eaten them anyway.”  I manage to get one wrist above his head.  “I just made it easier.”

 

He giggles again and drops the cushion.  “Yeah I suppose you’re right.  I do like to honour my debts.”  

 

“Good.  Now go sleep, beauty.  Get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be busy.”

 

I peel myself, albeit reluctantly, off of him, and sit on the end of the sofa as he sits up and adjusts his clothing.

 

“I liked them.  The oysters, I mean.  Don’t think I could do them raw though. It looks so icky.”

 

I chuckle. “I know it’s a cliché and they do look unpleasant but they are really good, especially with shallots and hot sauce.”

 

He doesn’t look convinced.

 

“Do you French kiss?  Think of it like that but you swallow.”  I tell him and then gasp.  “Oh fudgsicles.”  I just look at him and he is looking incredulous.

 

“Did that just come out of your mouth?”  He blinks at me.

 

“Yeah.”  I cringe and bury my face in my hands.

 

I feel his weight shift on the sofa and shake my head.  Warm hands pull mine from my face.

 

“Yes I do French kiss and I owe you.”

 

“Owe me….mmmmm.”  I find my arms full of Justin and my mouth full of Justin’s tongue.  After three minutes, he stops kissing me and I’m more than a bit stunned!  He’s excellent.

 

He gets up and clears his throat. “Think I may have overpaid there.  Goodnight Brian.  See you tomorrow.”

 

“Gnnhh!”  That’s all I can say as the door shuts behind him.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks.