- Text Size +

CHAPTER 82 - BEING THANKFUL...SOME MORE THAN OTHERS

 

DAPHNE’S APARTMENT - THURSDAY MID-MORNING, A WEEK BEFORE THANKSGIVING

 

DAPHNE

 

I have not let the phone out of my sight after I mislaid it. When Jen told me to tell Lindsay that I understood exactly what she was saying and would be visiting next week to discuss how we should best handle Michael, she was frothing with excitement! An image that clear put me off my breakfast!

 

As I head back from orienteering, I get a text from her, telling me that she’s looking forward to seeing me next Wednesday, but understanding that I would have to be back to spend Thanksgiving with the family.

 

“Look out!” I hear someone shout and I hop back on the pavement.

 

“Sorry!” I shout back. “My bad!”

 

“Your bad! YOUR FUCKING BAD!” The cyclist roars as he stalks back to me, having thrown down his bike and is now in the process of ripping off his helmet and sunglasses. “Do you know how many people are injured or killed because nobody can take the fucking time to look up from their fucking phones to look where they’re fucking going all the fucking time?!”

 

“I-I-I’m sorry, I didn’t…”

 

“Yeah that’s what the ignorant bitch simpered to the judge and she walked out of jail but meanwhile my friend is still dead!” He screams at me. “She’s dead because of people like you fu-fucking no-not looking wh-where they’re…” He stops and clears his throat. “Like you give a fuck!” He snarls and stalks back to his bike.

 

I saw the tears in his eyes and despite my initial shock at his outburst, my heart went out to him. I rush to follow, picking up his discarded helmet and glasses. “Please! Wait! Please!”

 

He ignores me and tries to pick up his bike but in his haste to throw it down, he has managed to turn the front wheel around and is having difficulty turning it back again. “For fucking fuck sake!” He roars and kicks it.

 

“Go away!” I shout at the people, who have stopped and stared. “Don’t make me make you!” I shout and they scurry away. I wait until people are going about their lives again and watch the fight go out of him. “Need some help?” I ask quietly and he looks up at me in surprise. “With your bike, I mean. I’ve got your helmet and glasses.”

 

“Thanks.” He replies gruffly. “If you could hold the frame and seat, I’ll see if I can get it turned back around.” After fifteen minutes of huffing and puffing, it is finally the right way around...but it is also has a flat. “And that completes my fucking week!” He growls.

 

“I have a puncture kit, but it’s upstairs...in my apartment...two blocks down the street.”

 

He pushes he unruly locks out of his face. “You have a puncture kit?” He looks sceptical. “I don’t have you down as a rider.”

 

“It’s for the doll. And I do ride a...no wait, I don’t mean that kind of doll!” I say, giggling at the implication. After I clear my throat, I tell him, “I mean, I’m a nursing student and…” He is just staring at me looking a cross between horrified and amused. “I can prove it!” I blush furiously. “Well since you no longer need my help!” I put his things down. “I bid you goodbye and I’m sorry about your friend.” I head towards my appointment, willing my cheeks to cool down. It wasn’t until two minutes walking that I hear the click-click-click of a bike wheel and turn around. He’s following me, but does stop when I do.

 

“I really do need to fix this puncture. Look, I will wait here while you bring it down. Please?”

 

“Don’t move from that spot!” I warn him and rush to the building, making sure I go through the next door. Marilyn smiles as she waves me through. She’s well used to my strict safety methods. Ten minutes later, I’m running back to him and he looks relieved to see me. “Sorry! Had to find it first.”

 

“Your doll’s not flat, then?” He smirks.

 

“Seriously, you’re going with that now?” I hold the puncture kit hostage.

 

“No! No...I’m not. Honest.” He tentatively reaches for the kit and I hand it to him. He takes the wheel off and begins to check where the puncture is.

 

“Wouldn’t that work better with water, you know bubbles and stuff?” I ask, peering at what he is doing.

 

“Yes, but I don’t have water or anything to put it in.” He points out, carefully squeezing and listening.

 

“You have a helmet and I can go and get some water.” I point out. He pauses and frowns. “I caused your flat remember? Please?”

 

“True, you did. Remember to get still water.” He points out and snickers at the narrowed eye glare I give him.

 

“Let me get a bowl, at least then your helmet won’t get wet.”

 

“Okay thanks.”

 

It doesn’t take me long to get back and he gives me a small smile. “What happened...to your friend, I mean?”

 

“She was texting on her phone and didn’t see her. So the rich bitch who hit her got daddy to take care of it.” He sighs.

 

“Of course she did! I can’t stand fucking people like that! Own your own shit, for fuck sake! I’m sorry for the loss of your friend and for not watching where I was going. I know it’s no excuse, but I’m dealing with one such wannabe rich bitch myself.”

 

“Thanks again. Cory.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“As in my name is.” He stops what he’s doing. “This is where you tell me your name.”

 

“Oh! Daphne.”

 

“Nice to...found you, you fucker!” He grins gleefully as the water bubbles up. Ten minutes later, he has fixed it. He grins at me and then is off. It isn’t until I am in the apartment that I realise the cheeky bugger has taken my kit with him!

 

KINNETIC - TWO HOURS LATER

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

I’m looking at the floor in mortification and Blake is trying to get redressed as quickly as he can behind the desk.

 

“Theodore, I just don’t know what to say…” Brian intones soberly. “I shall see you in my office in ten minutes.” He finishes coolly and stalks out.

 

“Oh shit!” Blake mutters as the door shuts and he stands up, pulling on his shirt. “Do you want me to wait until you come back?”

 

“Yeah.” I sigh.

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

I wait for the contrite Ted to arrive and will myself to glare. But the moment he comes in, I feel my mouth start to twitch.

 

“You…fu...fudgnucker!” He splutters in relieved indignation. “Do you have any idea how much my ass was clenching during the walk here?! And not in a good way!”

 

“Oh come on!” I wipe my eyes and chuckle. “Nobody with a sense of humour could’ve resisted that!”

 

“Not funny!” He snipes, picking up a cushion and throwing it at me. That makes me laugh harder and louder again.

 

“Very funny!” I correct, snickering. “I’ve never seen you in action. I have to admit you have some technique. I might try that position on Justin, though the height difference might...ouch!” I guffaw as he starts to swing the cushion at my head with unnecessary zeal!

 

“Schmidt!” I declare, making my way round the desk as he grabs another one. “Put that down!”

 

“Oh no! You’ve got this coming, Kinney!” He glowers, cornering me as he begins the pummelling! And that’s how Justin, Blake and Cynthia found us 15 minutes later with an office full of feathers. Ted’s sitting astride me, hitting me where he could with the remaining intact cushion and me trying to remind him, between gales of laughter, the hierarchy of the company!

 

“AHEM!” Cynthia shouts and that stops us. “What exactly are you doing?” She smarms.

 

I cock an eyebrow at Ted. “So want to tell her what got you so upset?” I smirk.

 

“No. And nor will you, you...” He begins, going red.

 

“Fudgnucker?” I suggest, shoving him off me.

 

“Yes, that!” He replies, standing up and dusting himself down before he then helps me up.

 

“Brian…” Blake begins.

 

“Blake, he’s not in trouble. I can’t very well have one standard for myself and not allow the same for a member of my senior management and best man, now can I?” The look of relief from Blake is swiftly replaced by looks of astonishment on everyone’s faces. “That’s what I was coming in to ask you.” I look at Ted, who is as still as a statue. “Before you say the answer, you will have to wear kilts and in the good old Scottish/Irish way.”

 

“Why two?” He whispers, his eyes are suspiciously moist and I swallow mine down.

 

“I have Irish tartan and Justin has Scottish. So we’re wearing one to get married in and the other for the reception. So can I get you and Cynthia booked in for an appointment to get fitted?” He just nods and I look at Cyn, who’s in bits within Justin’s arms. “Okay. Now whilst I’m in a good mood...” I head to the intercom and clear my throat. “Can I have everyone’s attention? As of 1pm today, we are closed for the holidays. Anyone who attempts to work between now and Thanksgiving will not have a job to come back to. Wrap everything up and get the fuck outta of here!”

 

For the next hour, we are a hive of activity shutting down for the holidays and I could not be happier.

 

DAPH’S APARTMENT - FRIDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

DAPH

 

I wiggle my freshly painted toenails and sigh. We are done until after Thanksgiving. As I suspected, we are going to Britin for Thanksgiving and I am so looking forward to it!

 

“Right, let’s see if itchy-bitchy-face has…” I mutter to myself when the door buzzes. I check the monitor and smile as its Marilyn. “Hey girl, come up!” I let her in and totter to the door.

 

“Hey sweetie!” She kisses my cheek and swishes in. She reminds me so much of Emmy.

 

“What beautiful flowers!” I smile at the enormous bunch she has in her hand and gape when she hands them to me. “What for?!” I demand.

 

“Why don’t you read the note and find out?” She smiles, taking it out from the centre of the flowers and handing it to me. “Vase in the kitchen?” I just nod.

 

“So what does it say?” She comes back out, fluffing out the flowers.

 

“I can’t believe it.” I sit down and wait for her to get comfortable.

 

“I am ready so start reading!” She orders.

 

“Dear Daphne, hope you have managed to deal with your bitch. Sorry I took your kit with me. It was a genuine mistake, but proved invaluable as I got a puncture in the back tire four blocks down. So these are for you to say thank you for the kit and the kind, and very angry, words about my friend. Her name was Catherine and she would’ve liked you. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. Cory.”

 

“Oh now, that is just darling! Is there a number?” She demands, sipping her wine.

 

“Um…” I look on the back and in the envelope and then sigh. “No. Shame that.”

 

“Oh, not necessarily.” She smirks.

 

“Why?”

 

“Hand delivered.” She points to the vase.

 

“Yes, I know. You delivered them.”

 

“I delivered them to you, but he delivered them to me…”

 

“What?” I gasp.

 

“He’s in the coffee shop downstairs. Get dressed!” She orders.

 

And that’s how I found myself 40 minutes later, drinking coffee and talking about Catherine and my new family with Cory that evening.

 

JENNIFER’S HOUSE - MONDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

JENNIFER

 

“Jennifer Taylor. Oh hello Ronald, how are you? Good, how’s France and Nancy? Yes, I’ve heard the winters in Europe can be bitter...oh I see! Well, Nancy did always have a way with people that could be off putting. But the reason for my call is about Lindsay. You see, she’s teamed up with Michael in a mission to upset the nuptials of Brian and Justin. No, she’s not in Pittsburgh; he’s gone to her. Well basically, Michael has told her what Brian did to a previous client and she has made some not so very veiled threats to Brian in an effort to get him to split up with Justin. Scandalous, I know! But the thing is, I know that you pulled some significant strings to get her this placing and I obviously don’t want to confront her myself as I would be less than calm but...oh right, I shall leave it with you. Thank you, Ronald. Sometimes only the words of the father will do.”

 

When I hang up, I smile to myself and then start to chuckle. Lindsay is not going to know what hit her...that was a very angry daddy!

 

BRITIN - TUESDAY AFTERNOON  

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I look round the kitchen and then at the timetable pasted to the cupboard doors. “Brian? Have you ever cooked a Thanksgiving dinner before?”

 

Silence.

 

I turn around and Brian is counting the pages of the timetable. “No, but we can do this, right?”

 

“Um, well if we’re going to do three roast turkeys with one oven, there might be a timing issue…”

 

“Franc, its Brian…”

 

I heave a sigh of relief!

 

DAPH’S APARTMENT - TUESDAY EVENING

 

DAPH

 

“The committee will come to order” I demand and the lounge falls silent. “Jennifer, take the floor please.”

 

“I have contacted her father. Let’s just say that daddy was not happy.”

 

“So what’s happening?” Randolph asks. “And who’s Cory?”

 

I feel my cheeks heat as I curse myself for not putting the note away. Everyone looks at me expectantly. “Ah um...Cory he’s a cyclist friend I know. So Michael and Lindsay...”

 

“Flowers are from him, so more than a friend, I suspect.” Randolph smirks. “Or wants to be. When was the date?”

 

“Last Friday.” I mutter, knowing that they will not let it go.

 

“Dish…” George orders.

 

“Tell Justin to set another place. Now all you need to do is ask him!” Vic snickers.

 

“But…” I protest.

 

“We’re going to meet him some time, it might as well be now!” He chuckles and then nods at my phone. Glowering and blushing, I call him. “Already has a speed dial...oh yes, she likes!”

 

“I hate you!” I hiss. “No, not you! A supposed friend of mine! How are you?! Wait a second, I need to go to another room.”

 

Twenty minutes later, I come back in looking a little stunned.

 

“He said yes?” George asks and all I can do is nod.

 

LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - WEDNESDAY MID-MORNING

 

LINDSAY

 

Brian is coming this evening and I can’t wait! I haven’t told Michael though. I want Brian to focus solely on me and where I will fit into their lives...well more importantly, his life; Justin is and will remain inconsequential. That will be over soon enough, if I have anything to say about it. I finally have something to bring him to heel, and I intend to use it! Anyway, I have taken today off to go shopping for some Beam amongst other things and am surprised to hear the door knock. Brian isn’t due for another couple of hours and I find myself praying mightily that it isn’t Michael. Timing was never his strong suit. The last thing I need to deal with right now are incessant inquiries given in that abrasive, whining moan he has! But when I open the door, I am astonished as it truly is the last person I would have ever expected. “Daddy!”

 

“Lindsay. Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

 

“Of course! How lovely to see you! Is mother with you?” I lead him to the lounge.

 

He shakes his head, then looks around and nods approvingly. “Yes, yes, it will do indeed.”

 

“Daddy?” I look at him puzzled. “Is everything okay?”

 

“Hmm, oh yes.” He smiles. “So tell me what has my darling daughter been up to? May I have a coffee?”

 

“Of course! As for my activities, oh this and that. I have to say though that I am a little upset about the lack of progression up the career ladder at the gallery. Perhaps…” I look through my lashes at him. “...you could have a word with your friend?”

 

“Oh my darling daughter, I already have.” He beams at me.

 

“Really?!” I curl my feet underneath me. “Thank you, daddy!” I lean across to hug him.

 

“So apart from work, what else have you been up to?”

 

“Like I said this and that.”

 

“Which means?” He prompts.

 

“I have been helping my friend…”

 

“With what?”

 

“Well. He’s wanting to…”

 

“How are you spending Thanksgiving?” He interrupts and that throws me.

 

“Well I was…”

 

“Oh, let me rephrase that. How would you like to spend Thanksgiving in Paris?”

 

“What?! Really?!” I gasp excitedly, all thoughts of Brian forgotten!

 

“Yes. Unless you have other plans?” His face falls slightly.

 

“No! Nothing, that can’t wait.” I beam at him. “How much shall I pack?”

 

“Enough for a week!” He calls back.

 

Two hours later, I have managed to put Brian off and am heading to Paris!

 

TRYLON HOTEL

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

Why the hell isn’t Brian nor Lindsay calling me back?!

 

BRITIN - THANKSGIVING DAY

 

GUS

 

Daddy held me up to let me open the door when it rang. All I can smell is nice foodie smells and see big lumpy things covered in foil. “Daddy, is that the turkey?” I ask him as he carries me back to the kitchen.

 

“Yes, that’s one of them.” He smiles his special smile.

 

“One of them? What do you mean?” I grab his face to make him look at me. Sometimes he gets starry eyed, I think that’s what Auntie Emmy said, when he looks at papa.

 

“Well, there are three turkeys. A classic with stuffing that Aunt Jennifer did, one that is barbequed that Chandra’s dad has done and the Asian one that Franc and Auntie Emmy did. Grandma did the potatoes and vegetables and we did all the pies. We all worked together and made dinner.”

 

“Do you think they will like my pies?” I made them all by myself from start to finish, with their help of course.

 

“Yes, we’re sure they will. I think it was an excellent idea to make mini five spice duck pies.” Papa ruffles my hair.

 

I hear the doorbell ring and when I open the door, it’s Daphne with a smiley man. “Daphne! Hugs!” I lean across and she takes me in her arms. “Who’s that?”

 

“This is my friend Cory. Cory, this is Gus, my main squeeze. Gus, this is Cory.” She introduces us.

 

“Oh this is the one, is he?”

 

“Why am I your main squeeze? Is that like a big hug?”

 

“Yes dude, but a squeeze in the sense she means is that you squeeze her heart, so you make her happy.”

 

“Oh, I like that. Daddy! Is papa your squeeze?”

 

“Yes Gus, he is. Now let Daph and her guest in!” He laughs and then says hello to them.

 

“Come on, Cory!” I tell him, taking his hand. “You’ve gots to meet Ruby, she’s my sister!”

 

“Oh okay!” He replies and I pull him into the lounge. “Oh, she’s beautiful! You must be a very proud big brother.”

 

I nod and then look at him. “You were holding hands…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“When we opened the door, you were holding hands and then let go. Why’d you do that?”

 

“She didn’t want you to be upset that I was holding her hand.”

 

“You like Daph?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay, you can hold her hand until I’m old enough to marry her, but only you. Okay?”

 

“Absolutely and thank you.” Cory goes red.

 

“Now come and meet Rhubarb and Custard...they are the bestest cats ever!”

 

BRIAN

 

I can’t believe it. Its three hours later and we are sitting outside with six flaming fire pits, warming the marquee. I am feeding Ruby her very first Thanksgiving dinner and people are laughing and joking in my home. Home. I’m still not sure how Kiki and Reginald are here but I suspect the eye crossing blow job that Justin gave me before he asked had something to do with it! The other person who is here is Ray. He didn’t bring anyone but has been looking at his phone a lot...Franc is determined to find out what is going on there! Chandra and Gus are sharing a plate and Mel is looking the happiest I haven't seen her in a long time. We spoke to her about the names and, as I thought she would, she agreed. Rhubarb and Custard are very happy on patrol, making sure that the Fantastic Four, as Nathan has taken to calling his cats, don’t get in any trouble...Thanksgiving Day indeed! I look down the table at Justin and raise my glass, as he raises his. I can see the tears of happiness shimmering in his eyes and when Debs hands me a clean napkin, I take it without a word.

 

“Happy Thanksgiving kiddo.” She whispers and all I can do is nod.

 

OUTSIDE LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been knocking for ages now. Still Brian nor she have called me back! I make my way back to the hotel.

 

RONALD AND NANCY’S RESIDENCE, FRANCE, FRIDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

RONALD

 

I sit back and smile as my wife and daughter twitter like birds over the shopping etc they are going to be doing.

 

“So dear, when are you going back home? I wouldn’t mind a trip to Los Angeles.” Nancy sips her tea.

 

“Oh not until the end of…”

 

“Never.” I interrupt. “Tomorrow I shall start the process of having your things shipped over here.” They both look at me confused. “Let me tell you something, Nancy. I am not happy. I had hoped that moving here would be a great restart for us and it has to a certain degree. But still Nancy, you are hellbent on imposing your will on the wrong society. They don’t like that or you here! So I thought a companion was called for, which is why you are here, Lindsay. I did not like being called repeatedly about your lackadaisical work attitude nor to hear about your wannabe attempt at blackmail. Until such time as you can behave as I see fit, I am not letting you out of my sight!”

 

“But daddy, I have work and…”

 

“No, you don’t. I handed in your resignation and they accepted it with great enthusiasm, which really speaks volumes about your work ethic and supposed clout in the art world. I am telling you to call Michael and tell him to go back to Pittsburgh. He can do whatever it is he is trying to do alone! Unless of course, you want to be disinherited and, therefore, your mother divorced immediately?”

 

“Divorced?” Nancy cavils. “Why are you…?”

 

“You two are cut from the same avaricious cloth so I have decided to handle you both the same way. If one of you misbehaves, the both of you suffer. Now, I think champagne is called for as…”

 

“You forget Ronald that we have free will and…”

 

“Go ahead and leave, it really makes no difference, as you are barely in the marriage at the moment. In fact, part of me really wishes you would since it will ultimately save me a fortune on migraine medication. Between Lindsay’s incessant faux-cooing and your voice… well, let’s just say nails on a blackboard sound better. But know this: once you’re out of that door, you stay out. As you may have begun to notice, I am not the Ronald or daddy I was in Pittsburgh. I too have free will, and the bank accounts and the house are in my name. Not ours. So what’s it to be? Exercising your free will to be poor and homeless or behaving like decent human beings?”

 

“We will speak later, Lindsay!” Nancy’s sharp hiss curtails her tongue. “Let me get Sarah to bring the champagne darling, and toast our new beginning!”

 

“Yes, you do that.” I smile grimly as she walks out and wait for her to retake her seat next to Lindsay. “Now when you two start to plot, I mean talk, bear in mind two things... One, we don’t have the money in the joint bank account like you think we do. That account remains open with a minimum of fifty dollars, which is exactly the amount in there at the moment thanks to your last shopping spree. I deposited the last amount in there while you were on your way to the Champs. If, in your greedy little heart, you think to tell me you are going shopping in order to get your hands on an immediate influx of cash, think again, sweetheart. While you’re able to use the card, all purchases still have to be verified by me, including where the purchase is taking place in real time. It’s called itemized billing and fraud prevention in case you want to look up the practices. Remember Nancy, Google is your friend. And two, should you two decide to take your show back to Pittsburgh, there is no room at the Lynette inn. Her husband is not a fan of the pair of you either.”

 

“The champagne madam.” Sarah says as she comes in.

 

“Thank you, Sarah.” I smile at her and wait for her to close the door before picking up my glass. “Well ladies, Happy Thanksgiving!”

 

They drink in silence and I laugh heartily on the inside!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.