- Text Size +

CHAPTER 84 - DOWN BUT NOT OUT...HE KNOWS AND SHE SAYS NO

 

BRITIN - TWO WEEKS LATER

 

STUDY

 

JUSTIN

 

I have my notebook in front of me. In the run up to Christmas, it has started to get busier in all aspects of our lives. Primarily because in all of his excitement, Brian decided to announce that Kinnetic will be shut down for two weeks. Nobody is to come back until the New Year so they are frantically wrapping up campaigns. He, Cyn and Ted are flying all over country.

 

As for me, the film school is thriving and we’ve had to hire a couple more people! But that also needs to be shut down at the same time, so we’re busy there too. Daph was a bit upset because after Christmas, she’s on the ship. But then Cory and Nathan explained the concept of dry docking to her. Cory and Nathan have got on so well, so they said that they will keep each other company and hang out with the GGs. But when the ship docks wherever it is, they will fly out to meet them. Nathan, like Cory, doesn’t have much family, but now they do!

 

“Papa, I think we need to get the next size up for Ruby.” Gus comes in with a frown on his face. He is holding her kilt and staring at her in her bouncy chair. “This was from months’ ago.”

 

“Oh you’re right, Gus! I hadn’t put that on my list. Thank you for reminding me. Okay, when daddy comes home tonight, can you say kilts to me please?”

 

“Yes papa.” He peers at Ruby again. “She really is very pretty, isn’t she?”

 

“Yes and you are very handsome.”

 

“I am? Handsome like daddy?”

 

“Yes, handsome like daddy.”

 

“Now have you done the collars for Rhubarb and Custard?”

 

“Yes. We finished them yesterday. And...oh I can’t say. It’s a surprise!” He claps his hand over his mouth, but I can tell he really wants to say something.

 

“How about I step out and you tell Ruby? I promise not to listen.”

 

“Thank you papa!” He watches me carefully as I close the door, chuckling. I’m surprised when the front door opens.

 

“Brian!” I gasp and am about to leap on him, when I notice how tired he looks. In fact, he looks grey. “Are you okay?” I demand worriedly.

 

“I think I may have overdone it a bit.” He sighs. “I could sleep for days!” He groans. “But we are finally locked down. Kinnetic is officially closed to all but a select few clients until next year.”

 

“Come on, you’re going to bed. No arguing!” He smiles tiredly and straightens up, but wobbles. I wait for him to steady himself, but it’s when he trips up the stairs, that I make him sit down. “Do not move from there!” I order and go to find Leda. When I explain the situation to her, she goes and gets Gus. Within 15 minutes, we are on the way to the hospital. I now I am worrying even more because my usually combative fiancé, doesn’t argue.

 

BRITIN - THREE DAYS LATER

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

The first thing that I notice is the godawful taste in my mouth. I peel my tongue off its roof and shudder. I try to blink, but it feels like something is stuck on my eyelids. After a few minutes of rapid blinking, I manage to open my eyes and look around. I try to sit up as my eyes come into focus, but the effort is lost for a moment. I try again and succeed a little better this time. “I’m home.” I mumble and shudder again, as I swallow. Not only does my mouth taste rank, but I feel like I am lying in wet sand.

 

“He’s awake! Oh, thank fuck! Teddy! Come quick!”

 

The door bursts open and an anxious looking Ted, rushes in. It isn’t until I look to the source of the screeching that I realise it is Emmy Lou. “Bathroom!” I put up my hand to stave off their advance. While they do stop, they are hawkeyed as they watch me slowly navigate my way to the bathroom.

 

“Leave the door open, Bri!” Ted orders and I nod. It takes me God alone knows how long to brush my teeth and splash water on my face. I head back to the bedroom and am so pleased that the windows are open while they are changing the sheets. Just as I’m about to ask a question, Justin comes in with some water and Leather Bear and Belle.

 

“You need a shower. Come on.” His voice is gentle, but firm.

 

“Okay.”

 

There is a chair in the shower and I sink into it, gratefully. For five minutes, neither of us say a word. It’s then that I hear him sniff. “Come here, please come here.” I tug him and he sinks into my lap, wrapping both his legs and arms around me plus the chair. I rub his arms and wait for him to calm down. “What happened?”

 

“When you got home and almost fainted, we drove to the hospital and then you collapsed. The doctor said it was exhaustion. I got them to run a full blood work and Blake has called in a favour to put a rush on it. They don’t think it is back, but to be on the safe side… Anyway, I knew you wouldn’t want to wake up in the hospital so they allowed us to bring you home, on the proviso that there was a doctor nearby. So Blake has been staying here too.”

 

“Anyone else?”

 

“Well…”

 

“Justin! Brian! Is everything okay?!” Debs is hammering on the door.

 

“Debs.” He gives a tired smile. “We’re fine! Just talking!” He yells back.

 

“And Emmy?”

 

“He wouldn’t leave. He caught you before you hit the floor.” He replies quietly. “He’s been feeding us.”

 

I smile and brush his lips. “I am a bit hungry.” I murmur and kiss his nose.

 

JUSTIN

 

“Okay, let me get you washed and back in bed.” I step away and laugh quietly. “Debs, you realise I can see your feet, right? Can you heat up some soup and bread please? He’s hungry!”

 

“You’ve got half an hour!” She yells and then I hear her say something about pillows to whomever is still in the bedroom.

 

“You heard your momma.” I tell him and tenderly get him clean. When he steps out of the shower, he sits down and lets me cream his skin, while resting his head against me. Although he is as weak as a kitten, he is looking better. “Promise me you won’t exhaust yourself like that ever again.” I whisper and he nods.

 

Twenty minutes later, he’s back in bed, struggling to stay awake. But we’re forcing him to finish the soup and bread. “Just one more spoonful, Big Bad. It’s all that’s left.” Emmy orders, holding the spoon at his mouth. He obediently opens, swallows and then slowly chews the remains of the bread.

 

“Right, so let’s let him sleep. Everyone that isn’t Big Bad, Baby or me… Out!” Emmy orders and has an eye-off with Debs, which he wins...surprisingly. He stretches out on the sofa and pulls out his iPad. “I will wake you in an hour, Baby.” He calls out and I happily slip into bed. Brian wraps himself around me and is soon wheezing and snuffling...not that I would tell him he snuffles!

 

When I open my eyes, it is because of the snoring. I look across at Brian and he’s on his back still wheezing, but the snoring continues. I sit up and the noise is coming from the sofa. I get up, realizing its Emmy. I give him a shake and he slowly wakes up. “What happened to the hour you were supposed to be waking me up at?”

 

“Sorry sweetie!” He is immediately more awake. “How’s he doing?”

 

“Better.” I smile at Emmy and wonder what Brian would do without this flamboyant man. “I want to ask you something. Will you be my best man?” He just stares at me. “You’ve been so great and I hope you’re as much my friend as you are Brian’s and...Oh Emmy, don’t cry! Is that a yes?!”

 

“Yes!” He weeps.

 

“Good now that’s settled, can you get the fuck out so I can go back to sleep?!” Brian grumbles as he turns on his side and does his best glare.

 

“I was wrong. He’s not better. He’s back!”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

I look at the new clothes and am thankful that they all have a 30 day return policy. I make sure to cut the labels off carefully and keep them safe. Once I am installed in Britin, I shall take them back to the store. Then Brian can get me something more befitting as the fiancé of the Stud of Liberty Avenue!

 

I have been calling Brian for the last few days. After the last time I saw him, he’s yet to return any of them. So I try him again. “Brian, it’s Mikey. Look, can you call me back please? I don’t know what’s happening with the wedding because...wait what the fuck do you mean voicemail inbox is full?!” I throw my phone down in frustration. Surely, I haven’t called that much!

 

I grab my phone and wallet then head to the diner.

 

DINER

 

When I get there, Ma isn’t around. I head to the back booth and smirk inwardly as I settle down. Soon Kiki won’t be glaring at me when I sit here! I shall enjoy having her appropriately cowed. I peruse the menu as old as time and wait for her to come over, when Ted comes flying in. “Kiki, is the order Debs phoned through ready? I’ve got a conference call in an hour and the traffic has been a bitch!”

 

“Sure hun. How is our Stud?”

 

What’s wrong with Brian?! That would explain why he’s not called me back...I was blaming Blond Ass but, for once, it doesn’t seem to be his fault.

 

“A lot better. It was just exhaustion; the cancer is not back. Thank God!”

 

Brian had cancer?! I march up to Ted. “Brian did not have cancer! Don’t spread nasty rumours like that! He would’ve told his best…”

 

“Friend?” Ted interrupts. “He did and that would be me, just like I’m his best man. Oh thanks Kiki, can you call Debs and let her know I’m on my way back? And…” He looks scathingly at me before shaking his head. “...that he knows and will most likely be coming to call.”

 

“Sure Ted. Now scoot! Tell him the Avenue sends theirs!”

 

“Will do!” He shouts as he hurries out the door.

 

She turns and smirks at me. “Oh the irony of you saying stop spreading nasty rumours…this from the King of Muckspreading when it suits him! Now all you’ve got to do is figure out where he is because there isn’t anyone that is going to tell you. We all love him while we can’t stand you!”

 

I head back to the booth and grab my things. I run down to Ma’s house and her car is not there, so she must be at Britin. I hail a cab and give the address.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

I look at a devastated looking Ted. “Don’t worry, he would’ve found out soon enough.” I smile as Justin takes the cases to the garage. “Ted, we will be at Justin’s in 20 minutes. Have at him when he gets here.” I cuff his shoulder and hug him back when he pulls me into his arms.

 

“Leave him to me.” He whispers.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ted was not kidding about the traffic. Luckily, I had my comics with me so that passed the time in the cab. When we pull up to the front door of Britin, I send him on his way. I am about to knock on the door when it is opened by mother. “He’s not here so you need to get that cab back!” She snaps and shuts the door in my face. I start to pound on the door, and after five minutes, my hand is sore. I am about to swap when the door opens. This time it is Ted.

 

“Ted, I want to see Brian right now!” I try to get passed him.

 

“No. And before you ask me what I mean by ‘no’, I mean the opposite of yes. Brian and Justin are not here. You have managed to chase them away again! You will not find them and I have called a cab for you. You need to go to the top of the drive and wait for it there. You are not coming in here. Ever!” And he too slams the door in my face.

 

“Oh, that’s what you think!” I yell. “Brian and I have plans! BIG PLANS! And once those come to pass, you will be the very first thing to be booted out of his life!” I wait to see if he’s going to open the door again, but all I hear is the deadbolt being put on. I storm to the top of the drive and sure enough, there is a cab waiting. Annoyingly, it is the same guy I was so dismissive of earlier. I want to call Brian and tell him how I have been treated, but then remember that his voicemail full! But just as I’m about to get in the cab I hear Ma shouting my name. “Hold on a second, you might not be needed after all.” I step back and wait for her to catch up with me. I cross my arms and stare at her. “Well?”

 

“In your haste to storm the battlements you left your phone in the diner. Pass by and collect it from Kiki.” She tells me before turning back to the house.

 

“So you getting in or not?” The cabbie asks.

 

“Yes, can you drop me off at Liberty Avenue diner please?” As we drive off, I realise that I have left my comics on the front steps of Britin and then it starts to rain…

 

JUSTIN’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

I hang up on Ted, giggling. Ted called soon after Michael left and told me what he declared. I head back to the lounge, to check on Brian. Although he’s not 100%, he’s doing a lot better. Then I have an idea on how to keep the gayborhood idiot at bay even longer, while giving my man some much needed distance to get better. I give him a quick kiss and pat my lap; he lies down immediately. “Franc, it’s Justin. No everything is fine. Look, is there a chance we could use Ray’s apartment on the beach? Oh great! You sure he won’t mind. Thanks! My man is looking a little pale and a weekend at the beach...oh okay, I’ll make it so!” I laugh and look down and he looks...happy. “I’ll book the flights and we can buy stuff we need while we’re there, okay? But first we need to tell Gus...what?”

 

“That’s what I was going to say. Okay, let’s go back and get ready. Oh, what did she say that you are going to make so?”

 

“That you don’t come back with any white bits. Apparently, the balcony is completely private as is the roof…”

 

“Seriously, we need to go now!” He growls.

 

RAYMOND’S BEACHFRONT APARTMENT - A DAY LATER

 

ROOF

 

BRIAN

 

“Oh yes! Oh yes! Yes! Right….aaaaaah!” I scream at the top of my lungs as Justin fucks me into oblivion. I collapse onto the mattress we dragged up here, to hell with the wet spot. I sigh as he withdraws and I flop onto my back. He flops down on top of me.

 

“You’ve gotten tighter.” He mumbles into my chest.

 

“Well you haven’t fucked me in a while…” I tease.

 

“Whose is that?” He asks as a phone rings. I scramble for one and hand it to him. “Hey Franc. Uh-huh, but...no, please don’t...Franc...are you sure? Sure-sure? Okay. Take care and see you soon. Bye.”

 

“What’s happened?”

 

“Franc and Markus aren’t getting married…”

 

“What? Why?!” I demand.

 

“Calm down. They are getting married, but not on the same day as us. She said and I quote, there is no way in fuck I am getting married on the same day as two of the great icons of Liberty Avenue. My day is going to be about me! She wants Emmy to enjoy the day too and....”

 

“Got it.”

 

“Is it bad that I’m glad?”

 

“No, because I am too!” He rolls me onto my back and I squirm then pout as I lie in the wet spot. “Stop that! Now let me see how tight you are…again.” He purrs before claiming my mouth.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.