- Text Size +

CHAPTER 85 - BIG PLANS

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - 10 DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING

 

MICHAEL

 

Having had the humiliation of going back to the diner to pick up my phone, I decided to stay off the Avenue. I’m currently checking my bank and while it is okay, it would be better if I hadn’t had to shell out what I had to shell out! The flights to LA, the hotel bill and the clothes I have bought... but they, at least, can be returned. I look around the apartment and decide that I might as well close it out now because it saves me having to do it later. I start to take down Captain Astro when my phone rings...and it’s Brian! I take a deep breath, smile and close the bathroom door. “Hi Brian, how are you?”

 

“A lot less pissed off than I was the last time we saw each other. What were you thinking winking at me like that?!”

 

“He was all over you! I was reminding you of who…”

 

“This is what I mean Michael!  You can’t do that kind of thing. It arouses suspicion for fuck sake! Do you know what he said to me when you went?”

 

“No.” I try for my small voice, which usually works to calm him down.

 

“What did he wink at you for?” He snaps...the voice clearly didn’t work. “And why in God’s name did you turn up at the house?!”

 

“That was Ted’s fault!” I protest grateful to shift blame to someone else!

 

“Ted made you come to the house?!”

 

“No. I mean yes. He said something that wasn’t true about you and I defended you! But then I had to let you know what he said but I couldn’t tell you because your voicemail box was full. If you had returned my calls, I wouldn’t have had to come to the house to defend you.” I pout, laying it on thick.

 

“And what did he say?”

 

“That you had cancer and I know…”

 

“I did have cancer, about three years ago.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” I demand. “I had the right to know! Ted…”

 

“I didn’t tell anyone…”

 

“I knew it! I knew you didn’t tell the lying bastard Ted! He had the nerve to say that he’s your best friend, as if!”

 

“Michael, I have to go. I promised Gus that I would take him shopping today. We’re going to Ross Park Mall of all fucking places, but he likes it!”

 

“Before you go, can you make sure you clear your voicemail inbox so I can leave messages again? And take this phone with you so we can talk while you’re out.”

 

“Michael, I am going to be with Gus and Justin. So talking to you then is not going to happen. Later.”

 

“La…” I am cut off before I can finish, so I call him back and get the same the voicemail inbox is full message. Smiling, I decide to try him later. He didn’t say he wouldn’t take the phone with him so...I might as well take the stuff back today and it will be a happy coincidence if I see him. After all, he didn’t have to tell me where he was going! I quickly gather all of my shopping and head out.

 

DINER

 

OFFICE

 

CORY

 

I can’t believe that conversation! Nathan has half a cushion in his mouth and Vic is crying silent tears of laughter. “So let me get this straight, he thinks he was talking to Brian?” Nodding and snickering. “But I don’t understand why you would be so mean to someone like that. I mean, what did he do to deserve that?”

 

Forty minutes later, I am being held back from booking a church and a Mariachi band!

 

GEORGE AND RANDY’S HOUSE - EVENING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

GEORGE

 

“Dottie…” I put my paper down as does he and peers over his glasses at me.

 

“Yes Rose.”

 

“About Christmas. You know what my family has been like…” He nods and takes my hand. “I know that there’s the Ruby factor to bear in mind. But they are my family now and…”

 

“Ask him before he sends in the big guns.” He chuckles. “As much as he loved hosting Thanksgiving, he was a bit disappointed that everyone couldn’t stay and here they could.”

 

“Who are the big guns?” I frown.

 

“Oh Rose. He’s 85 years younger, sweet as apple pie and has big brown green eyes…”

 

“Is it too late to call now?” I ask and he hands me my phone.

 

Ten minutes later, we are back to reading our newspapers, hand in hand.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME

 

I’m sitting here, musing upon my evening. While I returned the clothes, I didn’t manage to see them and I went round the mall twice, including the toy shops. I was there for ages! I try our phone again and finally, I am able to leave a message. “Hey Bri, it’s Mikey. I just wanted to say…” I am interrupted by a hammering on my door. “Let me call you back!” I stomp to the door and wrench it open and am confronted by my neighbour one floor down, who does not look happy!

 

“What the hell do you want?” I demand.

 

“About $2,000 to repair the water damage!” He snarls back.

 

“What are you going on about?!”

 

“Because you left your water running, we’ve had to turn it off at the mains. So nobody had any fucking water until you came back!”

 

“My…” I then cringe in realisation that in my haste to get out what I didn’t do! “I…”

 

“Need to turn your fucking taps off!” He shouts and pushes passed me to get to the bathroom and opens the door to turn off the taps. “Seriously, you are such a fucking idiot!”

 

The door knocks again and this time it’s the super. He has a smug look on his face and a piece of paper in his hand, holding it out to me. “Your notice to quit.” He announces. “After the last two incidences and now this, you are more trouble than your deposit is worth. I will give you a good reference, but you’d best start to pack!”

 

“I was leaving anyway!” I declare and snatch the notice out of his hand.

 

“Thank fuck for that!” My soon to be ex-neighbour snarls. “But before you go, you need to sort out the repairs to my property. I was out when you were, so I came into the mess! You need to come and check the damage. Now!”

 

With them both glaring at me, I reluctantly follow them downstairs. Once we are in his apartment, the first thing that hits me is the layout and how great it looks compared to mine! “Do you own this place, then? I didn’t think there were any owned properties here.”

 

“No, all the properties are tenanted. Not that this is any of your business, but you declined the refurb remember? Everyone accepted...except you.”

 

“I didn’t decline the refurb; I just didn’t have the money to do it at the time.”

 

“Yes you did, but you didn’t want to be an adult and pay for it yourself. Instead, you wanted Kinney to pay for it and he said no. You sulked for a week. Best week in Woody’s and Babylon ever! We didn’t have to listen to your mouth run about Kinney when he clearly didn’t want it to!” The soon to be ex-neighbour snickers.

 

I feel the flush creeping up my body. “You don’t know shit!” I snap.

 

“Oh I know about that. His exact words to you were, why the fuck am I paying to redecorate somewhere I don’t nor will ever live? You have the money, it’s your home so you do it. You were in Woody’s playing pool and trying to reason with him. But he, for once, said no and stuck to it.” He continues as he and the landlord laugh.

 

I remember that night. He had just started Kinnetic and I knew he had the money. So I felt that after everything we had done for him, he was being more than a little unreasonable. So I stormed out, fully expecting him to follow and be contrite... but nothing! He didn’t contact me at all. I was so furious!

 

“So as you can see....hey, are you listening?!” The super barks at me, jolting me back to the present. “You need to replace the electrical goods and the sofa.”

 

“And that lot cost you $2000? Ridiculous!” I snort. “Well unless you can provide a bill to prove that…”

 

“There you go!” The neighbour slaps something onto my chest. “Brand new and bought last week! Now pay up!”

 

An hour later, I am down $2K and mopping up the water. Some of the tiles on the bathroom floor are starting to peel off, but the super can sort that out. If they hadn’t dragged me downstairs, then I would’ve mopped it up quicker!

 

BRITIN - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I look incredulously at each other, and then back at Franc and her parents. “This is where you say yes. It’s our present to you. Look, the weekend in Cali, as nice as it was, was just that. A weekend so please say yes. You’re going to be swamped with everything and Emmy told me about the breakfast. This gives you time…”

 

“Kinney, I am begging you!” Mel growls, but her eyes are dancing.

 

“So we fly to New York tonight. Then sail to the island on Seacrest Jnr and get married? And that’s it, there’s no more surprises?” Brian asks and then holds up his hand. “Apart from whatever is happening with Debs and them, I mean.”

 

“Debs and them?” Mel repeats.

 

“Never mind that!” Rupert quickly interrupts. “Get packing! Oh and can you leave a list of what we need to pack for you guys to take to Georgie’s for Christmas.”

 

“Justin?” Brian nudges me. “You okay with this?”

 

“Yes, I am so happy about this. So happy!”

 

“Come here, my husband of my heart.”

 

I sink into his embrace and although I don’t cry, I feel so emotional that Franc and her family are doing this.

 

“Right, um there is just a small question I need to ask.” Franc sighs. “Have you and your mom fallen out?”

 

“No why?” I frown at her.

 

“It’s just that she’s not on the table plan…”

 

Silence.

 

“Justin?” Brian prompts me and I can feel the blood drain out of my face as I realise something.

 

“Oh fuck!” I whisper. “I haven’t invited her!” I drop my head back on his chest.

 

“How do you not invite your mother to the wedding?! She knows that we’re engaged and…Justin? You told her we got engaged right?!” Brian pushes my chin up and I shake my head. “Justin!”

 

“I figured that when Debs knew she would…”

 

“Why would she say anything when you told her you would tell her?!” Brian glares at me.

 

“That’s what you told us. You told everyone you would tell her. Remember in Babylon, you said you would tell her!” Franc berates me.

 

“Come on! Franc, can I use your service? Thanks. And someone is getting a spanking on the way home!”

 

“BRIAN!” I wail as I am dragged out.

 

“Keep wailing and sitting down is going to be a problem for you!”

 

I shut up!

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

JENNIFER

 

“Engaged you two are engaged?! And you’re getting married in just over a week? Justin! How could you not tell me this?!”

 

“I...I’m so sorry mom! I really am! I just…”

 

“It’s okay, darling. Yes I’m not best pleased, but I understand...just barely. Now scoot! I need to pack!”

 

“Mom, we’re okay right?” He looks so upset and mortified.

 

“Of course. Now seriously, I need to wrap up my office! I need to buy an outfit...wait a second. You’ve told Molly, right? She knows about Brian, doesn’t she?” I nod furiously, but she knows me too well. “Justin you have told your sister, who is in Paris studying that you are engaged, haven’t you?”

 

“Um…” I stammer.

 

“FaceTime! Now!” She orders and hands me her iPad.

 

JUSTIN

 

An hour later, we’re sitting in the car in silence. “I’ve never had that.” He looks at me, reproachfully. “Gus will have that because he loves Ruby so much. To share things, I mean. Claire never wanted to. She just wanted to get out of the house to keep out of dad’s reach.”

 

I twist my fingers and turn to face him. “I know it doesn’t excuse anything, but I genuinely forgot and then…”

 

“Come on over.” His voice is deceptively soft.

 

“Brian…”

 

“Over...you can keep your jeans on because I am gonna whale on that ass of yours.”

 

Twenty minutes later, my ass is hot, and my mouth is full of his tongue. I am also whimpering as he slowly jacks my cock. I groan and moan as I feel the familiar feeling at the base of my spine. I tug on his hair and he releases my mouth. “How close?” He husks into my ear as I shiver and twist in his arms.

 

“Please!” I beg and he speeds his motions.

 

“You look so beautiful.” He whispers. “I love that I am the only one that is ever going to make you feel this way…”

 

“Uh! Ah! Please, oh please!” I gasp and then it hits me and I just pull him down to kiss me, so at least I won’t make so much noise.

 

Our kisses calm down from bruising to soft and suckling; tender and loving. It’s then that I know I’ve been forgiven. “Did you?”

 

“Mmm.” He sighs and scoots me up so that I can rest my head on his shoulder. “Want the blanket?” I nod and yawn. Burrowing into his chest, he covers me up. “Sleep now.”

 

“Love you and I’m really sorry.”

 

“Love you too and I know.”

 

DINER - TWO DAYS LATER

 

DEBS

 

He has been laying it on especially thick, but what he doesn’t realize is that the Avenue talks. And I know everything. So no, I’m especially not going to believe the bullshit about the infestation that he is currently telling me about!

 

“Of course, you can Michael.” I tell him and that at least shuts him up. “Come round tonight and we can sort out keys.”

 

“Thanks Ma, I knew I could count on you! And I have a surprise for you, but I can’t show you until Christmas. You’re going to love it!” He smarms before looking round and walking out.

 

“I cannot wait to get out of here.” I mutter to Kiki and she nods.

 

“So you and Reginald?”

 

“Me and Reginald what?”

 

“Oh, Kiki come on. I tell you everything!” I plead.

 

“Yes, I know.” She replies dryly before grinning. “You know we’ve been invited to the wedding?”

 

“You’re kidding?!” I gasp. “What about this place?!”

 

“Oh shit! I had forgotten about that!”

 

“Let me call Brian.” I tell her and reach for my phone.

 

“No need.” A Leather Bear calls out. “Our boys can look after the place. How long are you going to be gone for?”

 

I feel tears fill my eyes. “Until just before Christmas.” I reply.

 

“And when you move in with Carl, let us know. We’ll help you onto the next stage, just like we’re gonna help Vic. Understand?”

 

I just nod and wipe my eyes, before grabbing the pot to top up the cups of my other family!

 

DEBS’ HOUSE - EVENING

 

DEBS

 

I look at the stuff piled around my steps and a beaming Michael, sitting on the top step. UGH! “I said…”

 

“The infestation got worse by the time I got home!” He talks over me. “Come on Ma, its cold. Let’s get in!”

 

“No, Michael. You need to find somewhere else to put all of that!” I state, holding my position at the bottom of the stairs.

 

“Ma?”

 

“Michael, this shit is not, I repeat not, coming into my house! It had better be gone by the time I get back…”

 

“Back? But where are you going?!”

 

“None of your business. Like Brian, I don’t answer to you!” I start to walk down the street when someone beeps behind me. I turn round and it’s Carl. “Get in. The Committee has had enough!”

 

DAPHNE’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

CORY

 

“So I’ve been thinking. Why not let him organise the wedding?”

 

“But he’s not marrying Brian.” Nathan points out.

 

“Bro, we know that. In fact, the whole Avenue knows that, but right now he doesn’t. Catherine, my late friend, was an absolute bitch when crossed and she would do exactly this. Get him to organise the wedding... but his perfect wedding to be held at his mother’s house. Say it’s an intimate setting for the two of you. Debs, can you get the lounge cleared but leave a...oh wait a disco ball…”

 

“Disco ball?” Daph starts to grin. “Oh yes! Just tell him that you’re having it redecorated, so he won’t suspect a thing. Tell him you’ve locked everything precious in your bedroom, but in reality it’s in…”

 

“Carl’s house!” Debs smiles.

 

“Daph, the stage is yours.”

 

Twenty minutes later, we are guffawing because Michael thinks that he is organising the wedding of the century to Brian Kinney in any style that he wants!

 

OFF THE COAST OF NEW YORK - TWO DAYS LATER

 

GUS

 

I am steering! Daddy has to correct me a couple of times, but I am steering! “Daddy, where’s papa?”

 

“Changing Ruby. Not sure your sister likes mango.”

 

“Oh...oh yucky!”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Daddy?”

 

“Gus?”

 

“You know you’re the bestest daddy in the world and papa is the bestest papa, right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And you knows you are getting married and everyone that loves you is going to be there?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Does that include Mr Michael? Some people said that he loves you and if he loves you, he’s going to be there, isn’t he?”

 

“No.”

 

I am so surprised that I let go of the wheel and turn to face him. “Really?! You promises?!”

 

“I promise you Gus, my dear sweet Sonny Boy, that the only people who will be at the wedding are those who truly love me and your papa. Mr Michael doesn’t, so he won’t be.”

 

“Good, I’m glad!” I look over his shoulder to make sure nobody is coming. “Mr Michael looks funny when he smiles…like he doesn’t mean it. You and papa smile like you mean it all the time, so do my mommies.” I turn back to the steering wheel. “And I’m going to teached Ruby to do it too!”

 

“Teach, you’re going to teach Ruby.”

 

“I’m going to teach her lots of things. I can’t wait!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks