- Text Size +

CHAPTER 86 - HAS HE CHANGED...HAS HE FUCK AS LIKE...AND MARRIAGE PART I

 

JUST OFF SEABIRD ISLAND - A DAY LATER

 

BRIAN

  Catamaran

 

I look back at the catamaran we all came to the island in. I don’t think this is the same island that we stayed on the last time. It is entirely secluded and only accessible by boat. I still can’t quite believe we are getting married here! In this place! All our cases have been taken and Mel is waiting for a wriggling Ruby to be collected by her daddy! Custard took one look at the water from his crate and howled until he was taken off first!

 

 Seabird Island

 

“You spoil him!” Vic teases me.

 

“He’s my dude!” I retort smiling. I head to the house to make sure that he’s secure indoors as Justin follows with Rhubie.

 

“Told you! Told you, you spoil him…” Justin chides me, taking my spare hand and giving it a squeeze. “...and we love you for it!” He whispers.

 

“We’ve got the boys.” We both look at Tyler and Bella in shock.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Justin gasps embracing them.

 

“Emmy’s going to be busy, so we’re helping Franc with the catering.” Bella gives me a kiss on my cheek. “When does Cyn get here?”

 

“She’s disembarking as we speak.” I mutter still stunned.

 

“Let us handle them, go get the rest of your things. I am dying to see little Ruby in the flesh; those pictures cannot do her justice!” Bella orders.

 

Ten minutes later, there is astonished silence from everyone as they take in the majesty that is our island home for the next five days. Then when we get back to the Pitts, it’s straight to Georgie’s for Christmas. I had been so fixated on Custard and getting the kids off safely, that I have only just noticed something.

 

“This wasn’t where we were the last time, is it?” I look at a grinning Charles-Prince family.

 

“No it isn’t. This is the island I bought for Veri.” Rupert smiles at her.

 

“So what was the other place?” Justin asks.

 

“Our Caribbean HQ.” Veri giggles. “Come on, let’s show you to your rooms.”

 

An hour later, we’re back down on the veranda just staring out at the sea. “Daddy?” Gus tugs on my shorts. “Can we take Ruby for a paddle?”

 

“Um, maybe tomorrow Gus. Let’s all just rest for today, okay?”

 

“Okay daddy. Papa?”

 

“Yes Gus.”

 

“You didn’t ask Ruby, did you?” He looks at him with his serious face.

 

“No Gus, I promise I didn’t ask Ruby.”

 

“Good. Chandra! He didn’t ask and Ruby promised not to tell! So we don’t have to worry about them finding everything from…” He pauses and the claps his hands over his mouth and looks at us.

 

“What’s wrong, Gus?” I ask.

 

“Were you listening just then?”

 

“No. I was whispering into papa’s ear. Why?”

 

“Oh nothing!” He smiles and runs to find his best friend.

 

“Good answer.” Justin whispers and nibbles my chin.

 

“Hey guys. Lunch is going to be served in 20 minutes!” Daph shouts from the doorway, grinning. “Seriously, this place is just awesome!”

 

“If this is a dream, I never want to wake up...never.” Justin smiles and takes my hand to lead me to lunch.

 

DEBS’ HOUSE - SAME TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

I look round Ma’s house. I am so happy she’s getting it redecorated, but I’m even happier that Brian has given me free reign over the wedding plans! I head upstairs and while I am still pissed that she has changed my room into a walk in! That will be changed back! After all, Brian and I need somewhere to sleep on our wedding night...it has to be here where it all began!

 

I head to her bedroom and remember that she had locked her precious things in. Precious? Those bits of tat? As if! I decide to go to the store to get a blow up bed and after digging around, I find my Captain Astro bedding buried right in the back...seems I also need to get pillows.

 

Whistling as I walk along the Avenue, I pass the diner then pause and frown. There’s no Ma and no bitchy-butch, Kiki. So I step inside and it’s a hive of activity. I decide to have lunch, before I get busy shopping. I head to the back booth and am surprised to find a gaggle of twinks sitting there.

 

“Excuse me, but this is the Novotny family booth. And as a Novotny for now, I take precedence!” I wait for them to get up...and they don’t. In fact, I am ignored for a while.

 

“Does anybody know who this is?” One of them asks loudly.

 

“The ex-best friend of Brian Kinney and the son of Deb Novotny...to the relief of the former and the embarrassment of the latter!” Someone shouts back and there’s snickering.

 

“You won’t be laughing in a few days’ time!” I snipe and storm out deciding to head to the bed store.

 

An hour later, I’m back at home and wondering where Ma is. I suppose she is staying with Kiki and taking some time off. Boy is she going to be surprised...everyone will be!

 

SEABIRD ISLAND - TWO DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING

 

FRONT VERANDA

 

RODNEY

 

I am watching Vic help Ruby paddle with Brian and Debs. Randy and Georgie are playing poker and sipping iced tea. Justin and Leda are coming towards us with drinks and some nibbles. On seeing them, both Vic and Brian come to join us. After settling Ruby with her grandpas, Brian takes a seat opposite Justin.

 

“So we’ve settled on the names. Taylor-Kinney will be ours, what about yours?” Brian asks Vic.

 

“I’m taking his, so I will be Rodney Grassi.”

 

“So are you going to abide by the pre-wedding night rules?” Vic teases.

 

“Yes.” They both reply at the same time and the entire veranda goes quiet, except the burbling of Ruby.

 

“Very funny!” I chuckle and look at them closely. “You’re serious?!” I gasp

 

“Absolutely.” Justin replies, smiling happily.

 

“He’s the only one for me and we’re only doing it once, so we’re doing it properly.” Brian replies, smiling back just as happily.

 

“Vic, what do you think...okay, definitely not!” I quail in the face of his expression.

 

“Now then...what did I miss?” Emmy comes out with his drink and iPad.

 

“Seriously, just how do you do that?” Justin laughs.

 

“It’s a gift…now dish!” He puts his drink down and looks expectantly.

 

“They are spending the night before…”

 

“And tonight.” Brian adds.

 

“And tonight?!” I gasp and they nod. “Apart.”

 

“Oh, that is just adorable!”  He grins. “But are you going to be able to do that? I mean, have you taken the edge off already?”

 

“Nope. We managed for 16 days when we first met, so two days is going to be okay.”

 

“16 days? How do you work that out?” Emmy frowns.

 

“9 days up to the pitch and then 7 days between disembarking and him coming to Britin.”

 

“Yeah, but you guys must have done things?” Vic looks incredulous.

 

“Not with each other no…” Justin blushes and Brian smirks.

 

“It’s true...you’re it for him.” Emmy sniffles and then clears his throat. “Now then, I want you to see the wedding breakfast menu. Are we saving the ice…”

 

“Yes, we’re definitely keeping that for the wedding night!” Justin announces, smirking at Brian.

 

“Let me see the menu.” Brian reaches for it and immediately, Justin is in his lap, reading at the same time. “Chorizo Scotch Duck eggs...yes, but soft in the middle; definitely champagne oranges; Black Velvet...absolutely and I don’t suppose you can persuade Franc to do some jacks…”

 

“Way ahead of you.” Franc comes out with Gus, who has flour up his arms. “He heard Emmy and I talking and wanted to help. So he helped with the flouring and some very careful frying. They’re not all the way done, so just need heating in the oven.”

 

“Ah now you, young man need to go and have a bath…” Leda orders.

 

“Or a paddle?” Gus looks hopefully at the shoreline.

 

“No you need a shower because the salt will dry on your skin. Come on you and Ruby need baths or showers.”

 

“Why not use the showers at the side that way he won’t be too far away from the act…what?” Franc asks as we all turn to look at her. “Yeah there are outside showers...so you don’t trail, let me just show you.” We follow her round the back and gasp. “So we have the pool because obviously the sea is in front and the showers are to the left and…”

 

Justin cuts off her sentence by pushing Brian in and then looking at Gus, who starts to back away.

 

“Papa!” Gus is stern. “Now you have to be good, I don’t want to get a cold!”

 

“The water is warm Sonny Boy!” Brian calls out, swimming to the edge. “Come on, I promise you it’s nice and warm.” Gus looks nervous and the shouting has brought most people out.

 

“Oh you found the pool, did you? Shame.” Rupert sighs, opening up the bar area and we just gape at him. “What?” He turns around at the silence. “Sorry Franc, I tried to keep it quiet. But at least, I showed them the Isle Point. So they’ve…ah”

 

“RUPERT!” “DAD!” Come the exasperated cries of Veri and Franc.

 

“You might as well say it now!” Carl laughs at the expression on Rupert’s face.

 

“He was supposed to show you this and not the isle point!” Randy snickers.

 

“What are we going to do with you?” A voice calls out and Raymond comes into view.

 

“Hey Ray!” Franc calls out, smiling. “Beer? Since dad’s opening up.” She looks behind him and then at him carefully. “He’s busy, but will meet us in Pittsburgh and you can interrogate him then.”

 

“Fine and we will.” Veri laughs.

 

“You ready, Gus?” Justin has picked him up and is carefully making his way down the stairs into the pool with Gus holding on tightly, followed by Chandra and her dad. The rest of the day is spent either lounging in or around the pool.

 

DEBS’ HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

I haven’t heard hide nor hair from Brian and it’s getting close to Christmas! I have been to Kinnetic and was surprised to find it closed. Then when I went to Britin, there was nobody there. I haven’t been to the diner since the last time. Finally, I give in and call Ma. When she answers, she’s laughing about something before she composes herself.

 

“Ma, where the hell are you?!” I demand.

 

“Preparing for Vic and Rodney’s wedding. Where else would I be?!” She barks back.

 

“Hmph...They’re still getting married, then?” I ask, still hurt and irked that they never changed their minds about me coming.

 

“Of course, they are! They’re getting married tomorrow. Now what is it that you wanted?” She retorts.

 

“Is Brian there, too?” I ask.

 

“Of course, he is! He’s giving Vic away, which would be you if you pulled yourself together and didn’t fuck up at every given opportunity!”

 

“Ma...I apologised more than once!”

 

“No, you didn’t. You, more than once, said I won’t do it again and then gave excuses as to why your actions should be disregarded and instantly forgotten. That was not, and it’s still not an apology! Now we’ve got the rehearsal dinner…”

 

“Wait! Can I speak to Brian quickly?”

 

“No, he’s with Gus. And remember he doesn’t want to talk to you anymore. We will take lots of pictures for you to see if you feel like it, but I have to go!”

 

I stare at my phone in fury and scroll through it to find his other number and call him. His time with Gus is a non fucking factor!

 

ON THE ISLAND

 

DAPH

 

“Oh fuck!” I breathe. I look at the phone flashing and quickly wave at Cory, who comes over with Debs, rolling her eyes. “It’s…”

 

“Michael? He just called me. Oh, I have an idea. Cory, you answer and tell him you’re looking after the phones and then Daph can text him back.”

 

I nod and hand him the phone. “Brian Kinney’s phone, how may I help you? Yes, this is his phone but he’s in the rehearsal dinner and does not want to be disturbed. Yes, I can take a message. Sir please, there is no need to shout. I will make sure he gets this message.”

 

“So what did he say?” I demand and look across at Brian being glared at by Justin for giving Custard lobster!

 

“Get him to ring him back immediately. There’s an emergency.”

 

Less than five minutes later, the phone rings again and again. Cory takes the same message. He rings another four times before I can see that Cory is about to lose his temper. “Again Mr Novotny, I have given him your previous four messages, but he’s in the middle of his…Mr Novotny, kindly do not shout at me! If you could perhaps tell me…okay, I can relay that to him…yes, I will give that message to him right away! Please hold.”

 

“What did he say?” Debs demands.

 

“He says…seriously for fuck sake…he says that if he doesn’t answer him right now, he will email Justin.” We fall silent in disgust.

 

“He’s not changed, not one bit!” Debs hisses. “One second. Daph, do you have this? Can you do it?”

 

I clear my throat hard and that attracts the attention of Ray, who comes over and is quickly caught up. “Kitchen, all of you.” He orders.

 

KITCHEN

 

RAY

 

I shake my head in bewilderment at the lengths they have gone to keep him safe. “You got this?” Daph nods. “Okay, call him!”

 

“Brian! Finally! I have…”

 

“Michael.” Deep sigh... “What do you want?”

 

“Did you get my last message? You okay? You sound funny.”

 

“No I got you previous four messages, but was in the middle of my speech. As for funny, champagne does that to a man…what is it you called for? I can’t stay long. I have to go back.”

 

“Oh I see. Well it’s just, I-I have the wedding stuff to pay for and it’s costing a lot more than I thought it would and…”

 

“Michael, tell me something. What are you bringing to our marriage?”

 

We all look at Daph in surprise!

 

“Our past, our friendship, our…”

 

“Ah that. Just so you know, we’re going to be getting a pre-nup. So that if this ends, we both leave with exactly what we brought in.”

 

“A pre-nup? Why would we need that?!”

 

“I’m a multi-millionaire and you’re…well you’re not. And you’ve proven that you would try and hurt me in any way that you can. In short, I don’t trust you not to be just as vindictive later on.”

 

“It was not for monetary gain! That was to get you to stop working so hard and besides…”

 

“I wouldn’t have gotten Kinnetic without you, right?”

 

“Well no, you wouldn’t…”

 

“I suppose you’re right. I will give you 25% of the company in the event of a divorce, but that will be in the pre-nup.”

 

“25…did you say 25% of the company?!” He gasps and Debs rolls her eyes.

 

“Yes. Look, I have to get back, but how are the plans going? Do we have a suitable theme?”

 

“Oh yes! You’re going to love it, like you love me, always have and always will. Do you want a clue?”

 

“No…surprise me. Just... coming Justin! Michael, gotta go!” She cuts him off then looks at everyone and sighs. “He just pissed me right off!”

 

“And she would be so proud!” Cory gives her a soft kiss. “So fucking proud!”

 

WEDDING BREAKFAST

 

BRIAN’S BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

The last day or so has been the most relaxed I have ever been in my life. Yesterday we went sailing, just the two of us and we didn’t do anything…no kisses, just cuddled and watched the world go by. But now we are at one end of the house and Rodney and Vic are at the other.

 

We discussed it last night. We wanted the mornings to have breakfast with who we wanted to.

 

The gentle knocking on the door signals the arrival of Gus. “Hey Sonny Boy. How are you? Excited?”

 

“Yes daddy. Where’s papa?” He looks round the room.

 

“Bathroom!” Justin sticks his head out and grins.

 

“Okay. So…um…well we…wait a second.” We look bemused as Gus goes back again and there is lots of whispering, then he comes in with a box in his hand. “This is from everyone in my class and Mr Lodge.” He says quietly and hands it to me. Justin quickly comes out of the bathroom. We slowly open it and inside are cards and drawings from each and every one of Gus’s friends…and their parents. We read all the words and look at the pictures in silence and then we beckon Gus over.

 

“When we get back to…home…we are going to send everyone a thank you card for this and you’re going to help, okay?” Justin tells him.

 

“Yes papa. Oh papa…don’t cry…daddy…don’t! Wait, let me get someone!” He runs out of the room, shouting for his mommies. When Mel comes in, we’re somewhat more composed, but then she sets us off again when she looks at them and bursts into tears!

 

Half an hour later, everyone is on the veranda. Gus’s shouting had alerted Debs and she came running and well, that was that!

 

CEREMONY

 

After breakfast, we had to split up. Justin is the photographer at Vic and Rodney’s wedding.

 

As we head to Seabird Isle Point, I watch Debs dab her eyes and looks proudly at her brother.

 

“You okay?” I whisper and he nods, giving my arm a squeeze.

 

As we get to the altar, I hand him off to Rodney and step back to stand next to Debs. She tucks her arm into mine.

 

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to witness the marriage in the eyes of God and the State of Pennsylvania and California of Rodney Loehman and Victor Grassi. Who gives this man Victor Grassi?”

 

“I do...Brian Aiden Kinney.”

 

“And who gives this man Rodney Loehman?”

 

“We do...Carl Horvath, Randolph Charles and George Schickel.”

 

I look around and spot that Justin has paused and is just staring behind us. We turn around and gasp. Walking down the aisle is Chandra as the ring bearer. I turn back to Debs and she smiles. “He asked if she could do it as he’s going to be your ring bearer and wanted her to have a go.” I look back at Justin with Gus by his side. Justin is showing him how to take the picture of his best friend.

 

“Oh, what are we going to do?” I whisper.

 

“What you have been doing.” She kisses my cheek. “You are all bringing him up perfectly.”

 

“Thank you Chandra...no sweetheart, you need to wait here for a minute.” The reverend waits for her to make it back and pick up the cushion again.

 

“Victor, please take the ring and say your vows.”

 

“Rodney, I-I didn’t go on that cruise for anything than a leer and a suntan, but I found you. With a little bit of help. And I never want to lose you. Please marry me and see the rest of our days together.”

 

“Rodney, please answer.”

 

“I will.”

 

“Victor, place the ring on Rodney’s finger.”

 

There is a collective aah and a sniffle from Debs.

 

“Now Rodney, say your vows.”

 

“Vic, I love you and it would be an honour and a privilege to call you my husband. Would you grant me my wish and marry me?”

 

“Victor, please answer.”

 

“Absolutely!”

 

“Rodney, place the ring on Victor’s finger.”

 

“Now with...oh sorry Chandra. You can go and sit down now.” He waits for her to rejoin her folks. “As I was saying, now with the power vested in me by the States of California and Pennsylvania, it is my great pleasure to pronounce you husband and husband. You may now kiss. Ladies and gentlemen...I present to you Mr Victor and Mr Rodney Grassi!”

 

I go to over to Justin, take the camera off him and hand it to Markus. “We’re next. Come on soon to be Mr Justin Cole Taylor-Kinney...”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks