- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 – THE BITCH, THE PITCH AND THE SMUDGE

 

DAY 12 – LATE MORNING

 

DEBS’ SUITE

 

DEBS

 

It has been such an excellent time.  Nobody commented about the kiss that Brian dropped on Justin.  But between us, we have been noticing how they interact with Gus. It is so sweet.  I know Gus is going to miss Justin when we go back.

 

And despite what he says, I spotted Brian stroking Custard a couple of times while we were just chilling before we went on the island.

 

I gather my things and start to head out.

 

“Mother!”

 

Uh-oh he’s in full on brat mode.

 

“Michael!  Hey sweetheart!”  He doesn’t take long to catch up to me.  “How are you?”

 

How am I?!  How am I?!  How do you think I am?!  I’ve been ignored the entire time by my supposedly best friend and my mother!”

 

“Stop exaggerating Michael.”  Vic’s not-so-calm tone interrupts and I turn to face him… actually face him and Rodney!  I raise an eyebrow but say nothing.

 

“I am not exaggerating Uncle Vic!”  Michael growls.  “Take yesterday for example…”

 

The lift door gives us brief respite but it does bring more enemies into his line of fire.  Emmett and Mel are in there.

 

“Ah more of my supposed friends!”  He snaps, stepping inside and we follow, hoping the next floor will bring people that will shut him up but suddenly the lift stops and I think inwardly we all groan.  “So where did you guys go?!”  He demands, turning to face us glaring. It’s then that I realise he’s stopped the lift.

 

“Michael, take your hand off that button because you will most likely set the…”  Rodney begins.

 

Suddenly, the alarm goes and a voice comes over the speaker. “This is Steward Walsh. Is everyone okay?  We can’t see a fault on this lift. I think that someone may be leaning against the stop button.  Could everyone move away from the walls?”

 

Michael takes his hand off the button and within minutes the lift starts again. We all just glare at him.  “Not one fucking word!”  I tell him.  “Let’s get to the table and discuss this like adults!”

 

LILAH’S

 

FRANC

 

Okay, some serious shit has gone down.  I don’t think I’ve seen Debs so mad, well except when the fuck-up with the band happened. But Michael has his fists clenched and looks like he wants to explode.

 

Tyler approaches the table as warily as I feel but whatever the problem is, they are not taking it out on him. He comes to me with their drink orders.

 

“Two glasses of champagne and three virgin Bloody Marys, two extra strong and a beer.”  He looks over his shoulder.  “You heard what happened to Mr Novotny yesterday, right?”  I shake my head and by the time he’s finished, I’m struggling to keep a straight face.  “I’ll get their food up.  Good luck!”

 

“Oh I’ve handled worse than that little prima donna!”  I grin and start their drinks.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Well, can you explain yourselves?”  I cross my arms and glare at all of them.

 

Mom leans forward on her elbows.  “What exactly are we explaining?”

 

“Where you guys were from about three and…”

 

“Where were you?”  Emmett asks quietly.

 

“I was with you guys until I had an appointment in the spa and…”

 

“What appointment?  We didn’t know you had an appointment. So do you want to explain yourself?”  Rodney asks.

 

“No, I don’t have to explain myself to you!”  I snap and Emmett smiles.  “What are you smiling at?  Why are my hurt feelings amusing to you?”

 

“Oh I wasn’t smiling at you; I was smiling at Franc and the champagne she has. I can’t get through another round of the woe-is-me-Blanche-Devereaux-show without some libation.”

 

My jaw drops in shock.  “You don’t think what you did was hurtful?”

 

“No, quite frankly I don’t, not entirely.  We were discussing the spa appointments when you came back and joined us.  You never said anything and when you weren’t with us, we assumed this wasn’t something you wanted to do.  It was only when we were at dinner that…”

 

“Dinner?!”  You guys went to dinner?  Where?!  I looked all over the ship for you.”

 

“We were on the island, not on the ship.  And you could’ve beeped Tyler to find out where he had booked the dinner for us, after all he’s our steward.  Also, you could have phoned any one of us but you didn’t.”

 

“My battery was flat!”  I mumble.

 

“And how is that our fault?”  Mel asks.  “What did you do anyway?”  She’s starting to smile.

 

“He had his appointment with Brian.”  Tyler answers.

 

“Oh, who’s Brian?!”  Ma asks.  “Is he the masseur or someone else?”  She clears her throat and her lips twitch.

 

There’s a snort from Uncle Vic and Emmett is finding the inside of his bag interesting.

 

“No, there’s nobody in the spa called Brian.  He’s a guest.  Amazingly enough, there are only two guests called Brian on this particular cruise.”  Tyler finishes setting our plates down and walks away. I swear his shoulders are shaking.

 

I look around the table and they are all trying not to laugh.  “You know!”  I hiss.

 

“Oh come on Michael.  At least in your quest to have Brian time, you’ve got great skin, relaxed muscles and your eyebrows aren’t so unruly.”  Uncle Vic is almost hiccuping with laughter.

 

I feel my face flame and throw down my knife and fork. “Well I’m glad provided you with the laughs!”  I snarl and stomp away from the table.

 

“Oh hey Michael. How are you?”  Leda asks and she has Gus and that’s the only thing that stops me from swearing.

 

“As if you care.”  I sigh then frown.  “Do you know where Brian is?”

 

“Yeah, he’s in the business centre.  Gus just said goodbye to daddy and is now looking forward to momma and Bumpy time.”

 

I resist the temptation to roll my eyes and then head out determined to speak to Brian!

 

DEBS

 

Ohmygod!  My sides are aching.  I was doing fine until I looked at Mel.

 

“Momma!”  Gus cries, running towards the table and almost colliding with a server.

 

“Walk Gus!”  Franc calls out sharply and he stops completely before heading to the bar. I frown and get up to see what’s going on and my heart melts.

 

“Sorry Miss Franc. I knowed you told me before but I wanted to show momma what I did today.  I won’t do it again.  I promise.”

 

“Thank you Gus.  You have to walk and look where you’re going, not where you want to be.  They are carrying hot food and if that spills on you it will really hurt.  So no matter how excited you are, always walk when you are in a restaurant, okay?”

 

He nods and then gives her a hug and a kiss before making his way carefully back to our table.

 

“You were great with him.  Thank you.”  I smile at her.

 

“He makes it easy. He’s a great kid.”  She pours me another glass of champagne.

 

“Ever thought of having your own?”  I ask.

 

“I did and I gave him up.”

 

I choke on my champagne and Emmett takes that moment to arrive.

 

“You did?!”  He whispers and points to the bottle and she pours him a glass.  “What happened?”

 

“He wanted a kid so I gave him one.  I get to see him as this is my route but he’s his dad’s child.”

 

“Maceo?”  Emmett just stares at her.  “Maceo’s your son?”

 

“Yep, he knows all about us.  Joseph wanted a kid. He’s my dearest cousin and I obliged.  He and RJ are the parents.”

 

“RJ and Joseph!”  Emmett squeaks and drains his glass and waves it at me.

 

“Yeah Joseph, the nelly bottom, found his fishing top in RJ.  Think 20 years now.  I hope you and Ben find the same thing.”

 

For once, at the mention of Ben, Ems is rendered speechless.

 

BUSINESS CONFERENCE CENTRE – 2 HOURS LATER

 

RECEPTIONIST

 

Wow this man is just rude and belligerent!

 

“Sir, this is where people come to conduct business.  Not to have a lover’s quarrel.  If you wish to speak to one of the guests, I suggest you leave a message on their suite telephone number, but I can’t have you stomping about here like some…”

 

“Michael!”  A voice booms out.  “With me now!”

 

TED

 

I grab him by the arm.  “Which room can I use immediately, please?”

 

“That one sir, but we need it back in 10 minutes.”  She replies.

 

“Thank you.”

 

I drag him into the room and shut it firmly behind me.  “What in fuck’s name are you doing?”

 

“I want to speak to Brian!”  He snaps.

 

“He’s working.  Trying to create the pitch for Seabird.  He does not need his supposed best friend screeching like a deranged harpy!”

 

“What do you mean supposed?  I am his best friend!”

 

I pinch my brow and lean against the door.  “Michael, go to anywhere but here. I will tell Brian you want to see him but right now he needs to work!”  I open the door and he stomps out.  “If this gentleman comes back, please have him removed by security.”  I tell the receptionist.

 

Fuck you Michael, fuck you!  I am so glad that I told Brian to put the store under Kinnetic, you don’t deserve him as a friend.  You never did!

 

The look on Michael’s face was worth it.

 

BUSINESS SUITE 1

 

BRIAN

 

“Where’d you go?”  I ask as Ted comes back in.

 

I look back at my notes having just confirmed the pitch with Veronique.  We’re about to watch the fishing movie.

 

“Bathroom.”  Ted replies quietly.

 

Oh what fresh fucking hell has Michael done this time?

 

“Okay, we ready to watch?”  Justin asks, settling down with a pad in his lap and pencil poised.

 

“Yep let’s do this.”  I reply and cuff Ted across the shoulder. He just nods as he always does.

 

We watched mesmerised in silence.

 

“Well uh that was certainly, I believe you said frenetic?”  Ted mutters, clearing his throat. He stands up and then gasps as he goes still.

 

We turn around and find the receptionist with 6 other people standing in the doorway, awestruck.

 

“Can I have a copy of that?”  She asks, not taking her eyes off the screen.  “I have a brother who, uh, likes fishing?”

 

“Oh me too, but just for my spank bank. That was awesome!  You two looked hot together!”  Another guy states.  “Or should I say hooked hot together!”  He chuckles.

 

“Test audience?”  Justin asks and I just nod.

 

“Guys, can you join us?”  I ask and I have never seen people take seats so fast!

 

“We need Emmy.  Let me call him.”  Ted grabs his phone.

 

Twenty minutes later, we have more refreshments and Emmy.  Another two hours later, we have a video cut.

 

“Now we have to get photos of the patrons and some staff.  Emmy, what I need you to do is get about 20-30 men, Franc, Tyler, definitely Ben, oh and what’s his name... the guy in the gym…”

 

“Mario?”  Justin asks quietly.

 

“Yeah him and his buddy, the other testosterone freak.  Looks good but have no substance.  I like substance.”  I give him a small smile.  “And for the family side, definitely kids on the boat enjoying themselves. Maybe highlight the security side of the Seabird, but we need to speak to Franc about that, especially the patent.”

 

“Okay people, you heard the man. Let’s move!”  Bella, the receptionist, barks and I’m not quite sure when she joined our staff but I’m glad she has!  “When’s this pitch?”  She asks.

 

“Uh in 9 days.”  I reply looking confusedly at Justin and he just shrugs.

 

“Cool.  Leave this with me.  I know the board members.  I don't have to block off rooms, as you are the only passenger working in here for the next 10 days.  Don't worry none, it will be perfect.  Emmett with me!  And Justin you too.  I think you and Emmett need to work close together on this bit!”

 

And with that order, it is just Ted and I in the room.  “What just happened?”  I ask.

 

“I think we got an administration team.”  He laughs and starts to gather his papers.

 

“No Ted.  What just happened?” I look at this man who has become one of my…no, my best friend over the years.  “Ted?”

 

He sighs and sits down again.  “He was shouting in reception. You were on the phone so I dealt with it.  I told Bella that if he comes in here again to have him removed by security.  Look, I know I have overstepped the mark by doing that to your best friend but…”

 

“My best friend is right here.”  I tell him and look him dead in the eye.  “Thank you.  Let me deal with him.  And you need to let Cyn know that the same rule applies to Kinnetic offices too.  Also, can you ask her to get the locks changed on the loft?”

 

Ted blinks a couple of times and then nods.  “Sure Bri, leave it with me.”

 

“Thanks.”  I cuff him and this time, he cuffs me right back.

 

MICHAEL’S SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m reading a comic.  Well I’m trying to anyway... It’s been ages since Ted’s humiliated me and after the way the others were before, the apology from them has to be massive.

 

The knock on my door has me lifting my head but I decide that whoever it is can wait for a minute or two.  The knocking gets harder.

 

“Michael I know you’re in there!”  Ma calls out.  “Stop pouting and open the damn door!”

 

I stomp over and yank it open.  “You’ve remembered you actually have a son, did you?”  I stalk back into my lounge and sit on the sofa.  I glare up at her.

 

“Michael…”  She starts and comes to sit next to me.  “What did you hope to achieve with this trip?”

 

Not what I expected her to lead with.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Exactly what I asked.  What did you hope to achieve with this trip with Brian?”

 

“That we would be spending some time together as we haven’t for a long time.”

 

She actually laughs.  “Some time together?  Michael, you spend virtually every morning with Brian at the diner before he goes to work.  I’ve never seen you be in so early.”

 

“That doesn’t count.”  I rebuke her.

 

“Time is time.  Now pull your head out of your ass and enjoy this damn trip!  Now excuse me, I’m about to follow my own advice!”

 

I watch incredulously as she walks out without a backward glance.

 

BUSINESS SUITE 1

 

BRIAN

 

We’re all back and looking at some of the candidates for the photoshoots.  After speaking to Ted, I went to find Bella, Emmett and Justin. Now all we have to do is whittle them down.

 

“Definitely Mario and Castro for the gym shots, guys 2-6 for those shots, as well.  Oiled up.”  I point out and once again, Justin goes quiet but nods.

 

“Dining shots?”  Emmy asks.  “Franc, for sure, and guys number 1, 7, 11 and 13.”

 

“At this risk of sounding obvious or as a militant dyke, where are the women?”  Bella asks.

 

“Women don’t sell gay.”  I tell her.  “When you are trying to say gay is hot, you need men.  Before you bite my head off, let me explain.  Who is used to sell over 90% of advertising?  It’s women, in invariably a sexual manner.   But when it comes to gay, most people think of men.  When you first saw the video, the first thing you said was that you wanted it for your brother as he likes fishing.  I knew it was for you but you said he.  Men sell gay.”

 

She frowns and then nods.  “Okay so the Kids Club?  Who do we have for that?”

 

“Justin and Leda of course.  Maybe showing them teaching the kids.”  I turn to Justin, who looks surprised.  “That okay for you?  You need to ask Leda of course.”  He just nods.

 

“What about the beach deck?”  Bella asks, putting stickers on photos.  “There’s an open roof class there and…”

 

“There is?”  Emmy and I say at the same time.

 

“Uh huh.  When VanGuard come to do their shoots, I sometimes help them and then struggle to stay awake!  I tried to get them to use the deck but they weren’t having it. Such a waste!”

 

I catch Ted looking at his watch.  “How far from a hard-stop?”  I ask him.

 

“An hour.”  He replies.

 

“We’ve made more progress today than I thought we would. Let’s wrap this up for now and reconvene tomorrow at 1000.  Everyone okay with that?”  I look around and there’s nodding.

 

As people start to file out, Justin doesn’t say anything. He just leaves.

 

I sigh and rub the back of my neck, then Ted clears his throat.  “Quarterdeck F, Suite A.”

 

“Huh?”  I look at him.

 

“That’s where he lives.”  He smiles at me and walks out.

 

QUARTERDECK F, SUITE A

 

BRIAN

 

Half an hour later, I knock on his door and wait. At first, I don’t think he’s there and am about to leave, when the door opens.

 

“Hi!”  He squeaks in surprise.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“Wondering what was wrong earlier?”

 

“Wrong?”  He rubs his nose leaving a smudge on his nose.  “Why would there be anything wrong?”

 

“Can I come in?”  I ask and am relieved when he steps aside. But then suddenly, he sprints to the other side of the room and throws a cloth over a canvas.

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Nothing. Let’s go back that way.”   He tries to block me but I easily get by him and lift the cloth off.

 

I stare and just stare.  “You have a smudge.”

 

“P-pardon?”

 

“On your nose, you have a smudge.”

 

He groans and I turn to watch him look in a mirror and scrub his face frantically.

 

“When did you start this?”  I ask, indicating the picture.

 

“The evening after reading day.”  He replies quietly.

 

“Did you take a picture? I don’t remember you doing that.  Not that…”

 

“Eidetic memory.”  He replies shyly.  “Oh your lounge suit...  I haven’t had it cleaned yet so I will bring it up when I have.”

 

“So what was today about?”  I ask and lean against the wall.

 

He sighs and sits down on the sofa.  “You’ve been praised a bit and Mario is a particular fan.”

 

“Well I’m not a fan of his.”  I sit next to him and dig him in his side.  He giggles.  “Are you ticklish?”

 

“Yes, I mean no!”  He immediately leaps up but I pull him back down.  “Brian, do not even think about it!”

 

“Too late!”  I laugh and set about tickling him and he giggles, squirms, and biffs me with cushions.

 

“UNCLE!  UNCLE!”  He manages to scream out.  “STOP PLEASE!”

 

“Okay, since you squealed so nicely.”  I chuckle.

 

“I do not squeal!”  He looks at me with all the indignation he can muster.

 

His top has ridden up to reveal his creamy stomach and without a conscious thought I blow a raspberry on it…and he squeals.

 

“You squeal.”  I tell him smugly, looking into the blue of his eyes.

 

“You…um.”  He begins and reaches up to touch my face.  “Feather from the…”

 

I don’t let him finish and cover his mouth with mine.  Immediately, his hands are in my hair and I’m hauling him into my lap.  One of my hands is in his hair, the other is shooting up his shirt to feel as much of his skin as possible.  I pull him tighter to me kissing him deeper and our tongues battle for supremacy. I have a hard on the size of a door but all I want to do is kiss him!

 

I manage to straighten my legs and we slide down the sofa until we are lying flat without breaking the kiss, but we do ease back on the urgency.  Soon, we are tongue fucking slowly and deeply, when he suddenly pulls back.

 

“Shit!”  He gasps and springs away from me and I take a couple of breaths.  “Uh excuse me a minute!”

 

“Justin.”  I didn’t think he’d stop but he does.  “I did too.”

 

“Oh.”  He goes pink.  “I need to uh…”

 

“Okay.”

 

Ten minutes later, we’re both on the sofa looking and feeling like a couple of teenagers.

 

“It’s going to be a long 9 days.”  I tell him and feel relief when he laughs.

 

“Ah the non-fraternization complex.”

 

“Uh huh.”  I reply and then look round.  “Where’s Rhubarb and Custard?”

 

“Lilah’s.  Franc is a favourite of theirs.  She spoils them with scraps.”   He replies, standing up and pulling me to my feet.  “They have only been one other place since this cruise started.  And that’s your suite.”

 

I chuckle quietly and pull him into my arms.  “Hard stop time.”  I sigh.  “Is that for us?”  I nod at the canvas and feel oddly relieved when he shakes his head.

 

“You don’t mind?”

 

“No. I don’t know why I don’t but I don’t.  I like the idea of you keeping it.”

 

“Come on you’ve got to go.  Gus is waiting.”  He starts to shove me to the door.  “Kiss him goodnight for me.”

 

“I will.”  I brush his cheek and make my way back to my suite.

 

BRIAN’S SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been in here for the last hour.  When I came up to see Brian, I found Tyler just leaving so I convinced him to let me stay and wait.  I’m about to give up as he’s obviously not working like Ted said when his door opens.

 

Why the fuck is he humming?!

 

“You’re back!”  He didn’t seem to notice that I am here.

 

“You’re here?”  It sounds more like a question than a statement and it’s confirmed with the next word.  “Why?”

 

Why?!

 

“I want to see my best friend.  I haven’t seen you since yesterday afternoon.”

 

“How was your spa session?”  He asks his lips twitching.  “Was Brian everything you hoped he would be?”

 

“Not funny!”  I snap.  “You could’ve told me that you weren’t going to be there; it was embarrassing!”

 

“Why did you think you should share my spa appointment?  Shouldn’t you have asked me if that was okay?”

 

“What?”  I can’t believe he just asked that.

 

“Let me make things very clear to you Michael.  There are three people who are important on this trip. They are Gus, Mel and Uncle Vic.  What I do on this cruise and who I do it with is my choice, not yours.  How did you get in here anyway?”

 

“Uh Tyler was coming out and I…”

 

“Don’t do it again.”  He stands up and opens the door.  “Now I need to see my son.”

 

I stumble out of his door in shock.

 

He doesn’t mean that... I know he doesn’t!

 

I turn round to say something but he holds up his hand.  “This is not the loft and I won’t have you treating it like it is.”

 

“But Brian…”

 

The door is firmly shut.  

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks