- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I hated that we were all hiding how bad it was from Justin, Molly, and the kids, but I promised Craig we’d wait until after the wedding today. Emmett helped by asking Justin to come over early because they were running behind and needed extra hands. I got Gus and Hannah to go with them. Justin planned to wait on Jen, Tucker, and Craig to get here, but Jen called saying she’d overslept and they would be an hour later. Justin left only after I told him I'd get them there on time.

 

Jen pulled up and motioned me to the car to help Craig out. I held him up and Tucker and I got him into the house and to the bathroom before he started throwing up. I went to get ginger ale and crackers, since they worked to keep me from puking most of the time. He managed the ginger ale but turned down anything solid. Tucker left us alone while I cleaned Craig up.

 

“Bet you never saw this happening.” I joke.

 

“Neither did you.” He tells me.

 

“How bad?” I ask.

 

“Today is a six. I'm hoping to keep it there.” He tells me.

 

He was gaunt, but it wasn’t something unexpected, but I've always been good at making people see what I want and Craig is going to help me do this for our family.

 

“We have three hours before we have to be there. Let's get something you can eat, and then you sleep until we have to leave.” I tell him.

 

“All I do is sleep and I'm still tired.” He complains.

 

“It's part of it, and it's probably the only part you enjoy as time goes on.” I tell him.

 

“How did you do this alone?” He asks, as we go get the broth I got Emmett to make.

 

“There were days when I asked myself the same question. I made it so there was no one to help. I left Justin, who was the only person who wouldn’t have acted like I needed to take care of him, while I was puking my guts out. It's why I won’t let you make my mistake.” I tell him.

 

“Justin doesn’t need to take care of me when I didn’t do anything when he needed me.” He tells me.

 

“Our son doesn’t care what we did, he's a better person.” Jen tells him.

 

“Only because he had you.” He tells her.

 

“He had you until you couldn’t understand him. All he cares about is now.” She tells him.

 

“Why not agree that at one time you both did something right, because Justin turned out to be a great person?” Tucker tells them.

 

“Molly and Justin were the best part of us.” Jen tells him, smiling.

 

Craig managed enough of the broth to bring color to his face, and I led him to my study to lay down. I was leaving when he stopped me.

 

“I know my opinion isn’t really something you care about, but your family screwed up when they treated you the way they did. You’re a son any father should have been proud to have. I just wanted you to hear that, even though you should know it.” He tells me.

 

“Justin never lets a day go by without making sure I know it.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t ever let him think he wasn’t important, it’s where I made all my mistakes.” He tells me.

 

“You did something I never saw you being capable of, showing Justin nothing else mattered because he's your son. So we can forgive you being blinded by something that wasn’t the only thing to see about him.” I tell him.

 

“I need you to do something for me, because I know Justin doesn’t want to do it.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“I’m leaving my stores to you, I’d like you to keep them going and maybe one day one of the kids will want run them.” He tells me.

 

“What about Molly?” I ask.

 

“She’s more interested in law than business, Justin could do it, but it’s not what he wants. He doesn’t need me to push what I wanted onto him. I know you and you can’t resist the challenge to show me what I did wrong.” He tells me, before he nods off.

 

I walked out, not really sure why he wanted me to do it. It’s an area I never ventured into, but one day maybe Gus, Hannah, or even this one could take over, and keep Craig alive in some way.

 

I sat next to Jen, putting my arm around her as she tried to deal with this for all of them. “He has to tell them.” She tells me, tired.

 

“I agreed with him that after the wedding was better. Ted and Brandon’s wedding is most likely the last thing that Justin will be smiling about for a while.” I tell her.

 

TED

 

I stayed with Charles and Emmett, while Brandon stayed at the apartment with Mel. I wanted the first day we live in our house to be the day we got married. Emmett had been worried about something, but told me it was nothing I needed to know. It only took seeing Craig walk in with Brian to know exactly what was going on. Justin went to them and I doubt what Craig didn’t tell Justin yet was any longer a secret from him. They sat in the chairs while Brian came to me.

 

“Don’t think about anything but the man you're marrying today.” Brian tells me.

 

“Just let us know if you need us to help.” I tell him, letting it go for now.

 

“We will, but only later.” Brian tells me, not trying to act tough.

 

Emmett came rushing by, telling me to get my ass in the house. Brandon and I were going to walk to the altar together, with his mother between us. My mother asked if she could just sit and watch. I could tell it wasn’t easy for her to see me marry a man, but she didn’t say it and came anyway. I got in the house and couldn’t look away from Brandon. I was going to marry this man and raise children with him.

 

The music started and we walked to the altar with Wendy stepping back and giving us to each other. Emmett played the part he’s always had, as my best man, and Jason did it for Brandon. Hannah and Gus led us, handing each person a small bouquet of flowers they would pull apart to throw on us after we were married it was something Brandon said he wanted. We stood in front of the person marrying us, not seeing anyone but each other.

 

“Ted, thank you for agreeing to be my first date, and my last one. You probably don’t remember much about the first time we met, and like an idiot I walked away, thinking you wouldn’t be interested in me. I want to confess that when we met for my interview that I played it off like I didn’t remember you but I did, and my mother could tell you all about that, but won’t because she loves me.” He laughs. “You make me happy in ways that I never thought possible and I will cherish each day we spend together loving each other. So today I promise that no matter what life brings, you’re the person who will be beside me as we venture forth. I love you.” Brandon tells me.

 

“Brandon, I spent my life staying in the background and watching life swirl around me.The day you asked me to give you the chance to prove you could be more than the guy everyone wanted you showed me that they didn’t matter to you, but that I did. I’ve spent each day we’ve been together considering us blessed to have each other. So today I promise that you will never doubt that I’m the man who will love you for the rest of your life and beyond.” I tell him.

 

The rest seemed a blur, because we couldn’t look away from each other and it took Emmett hip checking me for us to realize we were married and ended up making Charles and Emmett look like amateurs at kissing, at least I think so.

 

I did what Brian asked and celebrated life the way it should be celebrated, even with a death looming. Craig stood up when they asked if anyone wanted to say anything and Brian stood next to him, supporting him and showing us all that sometimes life changes for everyone.

 

“Be there for each other, know better than to go to bed with unresolved issues. Love the way you love now, only love more with each day. Be proud of the family you have and never let anything stand in the way of that happiness.” Craig toasted us.

 

“Brandon you got one of the best men I know. Ted, thank you for being there when Justin needed a friend, treat Brandon like the prince he is for marrying you.” Brian tells us.

 

“Ted, I love you. You managed to find the person who gives you what Charles gave me. Brandon you became important in my life because you love Ted, but now you're part of all of us. Be happy.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Ted, you and I had never talked and after we did I couldn’t figure out why we’d never done it before. You are truly a wise man and deserve everything life has to offer you. Brandon, love him the way he loves you. You both found the love everyone wants.” Justin tells us.

 

“Ted, thank you for loving my son and making it so calls about how you didn’t seem interested turned into calls about the life Brandon was sharing with you. Son, you picked well, remember that.” Wendy tells us.

 

“Be happy, and Brandon, know that I couldn’t be happier that I have another son to love.” Deb tells us.

 

“Both of you make me proud that you're the fathers Katie will have all her life. She’ll see that love is something to look forward to, because it pours out when you two are together. Be the example she wants to one day copy.” Mel tells us.

 

“I love you son and Brandon, make him happy, the way he is with you.” My mom said, smiling.

Brandon and I walked around, talking to everyone. It was the best day of my life, surrounded by the people who loved us and made sure to show us by being here for us. I sat watching Justin, Brandon, and Gus dancing in the area we set up for it. Brian and Emmett came and sat with me.

 

“Did you ever think we’d all be happily married?” Emmett asks.

 

“Yes, but only because you two can’t do anything until I show you how.” Brian tells us.

 

“Of course, it only took you what, eight years to figure out what Justin knew the whole time.” I snark at him.

 

“Which means Justin and I have the longest relationship, and you guys have catching up to do.” Brian tells us, leaving to dance with Justin.

 

“Is he sort of waddling now?” Emmett asks, tilting his head to watch Brian walk away.

 

“I heard that, asshole.” Brian yells at him.

 

“I know.” Emmett laughs.

 

“Yeah he kinda is, but damn it if he doesn’t manage to still look better than most guys.” I grumble.

 

“Only because, like us, he’s found out where he belongs.” Emmett tells me, as we watch Justin dance with Brian, with Hannah and Gus in the middle of them. One day that would be Brandon and me.