- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Jen found a place just outside Pittsburgh for us to rent for the summer. She made sure it was a place Michael couldn’t visit, because he'd violate his probation that kept him in Pittsburgh. I hired a nurse and driver for Craig, so as long as he was able to travel there was no reason we needed to be in any part of Pittsburgh. I wasn’t thrilled when Jen told me what Craig did. Michael getting things handed to him, caused the Michael of today.

 

“Michael will just run the shop into the ground anyway.” Craig tells me.

 

“Then why waste money on it?” Justin asked.

 

“I gave him a reason to stay away from Brian.” He laughs.

 

“Nothing has stopped him before, you think this will?” Justin asks.

 

“I thought about everything I've heard about Michael before doing any of this, and the one thing he hates more than his one sided love of Brian, is you. It made sense to use that to get what no one has been able to get Michael to do. Leave you and Brian alone.” He tells us.

 

“I still don't see how handing him a business accomplishes anything.” I tell him.

 

“If he bothers you, the shop instantly belongs to Justin. Once again, Justin gets what Michael believes is his. I made sure he understood there wasn’t any clause that excuses him if he in any way contacts Brian.” He tells us.

 

“Justin is going to end up owning the thing.” I tell him.

 

“Then so be it, Justin could turn it into a success if he felt like it. Or he can sell it.” Craig said proudly.

 

The kids came in to show grandpa the pool. Craig took off with a spring in his step, happy they wanted him around.

 

“Is it horrible that I want Michael to screw up, just to prove I could do it?” Justin asks.

 

“Why would you want to? If Michael had seen it as a way to live surrounded by his heros, and treated it as a business, then he would have been successful. Instead, it’s another toy, like all his other toys.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t understand why anyone would buy a business and not do what it takes to keep it.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, think about who you're talking about. Michael got a promotion, then turned around and quit the Big Q to run off with David. He didn’t see the point in staying when David was willing to support him. When he came back he opened the shop when he didn’t like having to start over at Big Q. Deb wasn’t thrilled because Michael was borrowing from her to keep the shop going. She let him come home to save money, but he was spending every cent he made and still asking her for money. It took her seeing what Ted and I did for her to see her son for who he was, a child in a grown man’s body. Michael will never be successful at anything because he gives up on anything that requires his attention away from me. You didn’t sit around waiting for me, but went on and worked for everything you wanted. You’d manage to succeed because you always have when you wanted something.” I tell him.

 

“I married you, that was one of the biggest success of my life.” He tells me.

 

“Having you and the life we have is mine.” I tell him, thinking the kids were busy with Grandpa.

 

DEB

 

I agreed with Jen, nothing would stop my son. He would never believe Brian didn’t love him. I wanted Justin to have the time that was left to spend with Craig. Not to have Michael showing up to cause them more pain when Justin was going to be dealing with losing Craig, when they just found a way back to each other. Talking to Carl, I knew he didn’t understand why Michael didn’t see what everyone else did.

 

“It’s partly my fault for trying to give Michael everything. I tried to make up for him not having a father, including lying to him about the father he believes was his.” I tell him, as we head to Michael’s store.

 

“Even with you smothering him there should have been a point where Michael took control of his life. It’s called growing up, from what I’ve seen he used you to keep Brian around.” He tells me.

 

“I used to blame Brian for everything Michael did that I didn’t like.” I tell him.

 

“Do you still think Brian is to blame for the things your son does all in the name of love?” He asks.

 

“Until Brian came back, I always thought Brian loved Michael the way Michael believes. Brian always took care of Michael and protected him, to me it was as if Brian didn’t think he was good enough for Michael.” I tell him.

 

“What changed how you saw it?” He asks.

 

“Brian took care of Justin and protected him, just like he did for Michael. It’s just I could also see that Brian respected Justin, in a way that I never saw when he looked at Michael.” I tell him, as he drops me off in front of Michael’s store.

 

“Red, even if Michael doesn’t listen to you, at least you now see the truth.” He tells me, kissing me before I went into deal with Michael.

 

He barely looked up at me when I walked in, there wasn’t anyone shopping in his store. The sign still saying they were closed was probably the problem. I turned it, because my days of supporting a grown man were over.

 

“I’m on lunch.” He complained, when I turned back to him.

 

“You’ve been out to lunch too long already son. If you're going to support yourself that means waiting on customers, not looking up another toy you can’t afford.” I tell him, when I see he’s on ebay again.

 

“Are you here to warn me off too?” He asks, rolling his eyes at me. For a second I wanted to smack his head for it, but I didn’t because it didn’t do anything.

 

“I came because I want to ask you leave Justin and Brian alone to deal with what’s coming. They need to be able to spend time with Craig before…” I teared up, not being able to say it, for all the shit he put Justin through it didn’t make what was going to happen any less upsetting.

 

“Like having his Daddy to mooch off of isn’t just one more person giving Justin everything he wants.” Michael sneers, and I couldn’t stop myself when I knocked him off his stool. “Fuck, what the hell was that for?” Michael asked, as he rubbed his head.

 

“That’s for making a joke about a man dying, for not having one ounce of compassion for how hard this is going to be for Justin.” I tell him.

 

“Like Justin gives a shit that Craig is dying, he probably wished for it to happen for years.” Michael tells me, staying far enough away that I couldn’t reach him.

 

“You really never bothered to know Justin, because if you did, you would know he doesn’t think the way you do. If he could find a way to save someone, Justin would try, because he isn’t like you, a selfish overgrown child, who wishes that kind of bullshit on anyone who gets in your way. I want you to remember what it felt like when we lost Vic, and give Justin and Brian the fucking space they need to heal from losing part of their family.” I tell him.

 

“You can’t compare the loss of Uncle Vic to that asshole.” He tells me.

 

“I can when he saw his beliefs only hurt him and left him alone. Something you still can’t see, but look around, is there anyone left who cares about you?” I ask.

 

“Craig already gave you what you want. I go near St Justin or his family I lose everything to him again. I don’t need you coming here like you know everything. Oh look, customers.” He sneers at me and them. I watch as they walk right back out.

 

“I hope you have a job waiting when you screw this up too. The bank of Mom is closed.” I tell him before leaving.

 

JUSTIN

 

I waited until my Dad was on his way home to fall apart. I’d been doing well at not letting the kids see the toll this was taking on me. I knew it was why Brian didn’t push me to tell them anything, because we didn’t want to ruin the time the kids had with my dad. Brian opened the bedroom door, and I wiped the tears out of my eyes. He didn’t need me upsetting him, either.

 

“Justin, you can’t keep bottling up your emotions.” He tells me.

 

“Nothing’s wrong.” I tell him.

 

“It doesn’t make you weak because you cry for him.” Brian tells me.

 

“You'd know all about that wouldn’t you, how many tears have you cried for anything? Did you even shed one tear for the bastard who raised you?” I hated what I was saying, but I couldn't control it.

 

“Yes I did, not that you saw. He was my father, good or bad, so I felt the pain you do now. Only you got the father you loved back, and what you’re feeling is a million times worse. Lean on me for once. Please.” He begged.

 

“Oh God, I'm sorry.” I tell him, holding him, as I cry for my father.

 

 

“We'll get through this and anything else life throws at us.” He tells me, as our child moves as if to say, ‘we're here for you Daddy’.