- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

We sat in the living room with Craig while Jen watched the kids for us. We could all see Justin wasn’t fooled by not being told that Craig wasn’t getting better.

 

“How long?” Justin asks.

 

“The doctor told me a few years ago that it could be five years if it didn’t spread. It did, and is now in my bones.” He tells Justin.

 

“What do they think now?” I ask.

 

“I could still live a few more years or a few months, it really depends on the cancer. I’ve stopped treatment, because I don’t want to spend the rest of my time being sick, when I wasn’t before the treatment.” He tells us.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me, or even Molly, we could have…” Justin asked.

 

“You could have what? Let go of the way I treated you and took care of me. Justin, I wanted to prove I deserve a place in your life, not get it because of this. I didn’t want you to feel like what I did to you got a free pass. The reason I needed to tell you is because it’s getting harder to travel back and forth.” He tells Justin.

 

“We can come to Pittsburgh instead.” Justin tells him.

 

“We can and will, the kids are going to be out of school and I can work from Pittsburgh until… I already talked to Jen about finding a house for us to rent.” I tell them.

 

“Thank you.” Justin tells me, kissing me.

 

CRIAG

 

With Justin planning to come here, I wanted the things that kept him away, to stay away from him. I spoke to Emmett, who let me know the biggest problem was in jail awaiting trial, but there was still Michael Novotny. When I asked where to find him the answer was Woody’s or Babylon, because Michael’s life never moved on from the places he always went. I knew Michael’s mother at one time took Justin in, but as hard as it was I asked Jen about the life Justin lived without me.

 

“He made friends with the people Brian knew and was a part of the group until Brian left. He kept his grades up, ignored the people who no longer talked to him because Brian was gone, and went to school. He went to college on a full scholarship, with Emmett deciding Justin didn’t need to work until he finished school. I didn’t know a lot of what was going on until Emmett called me, saying Justin needed me. I found out about Hannah after she was born a month early. You weren’t the only one he didn’t tell things to about his life.” She tells me.

 

“What happened to change his relationship with the friends he knew through Brian?” I ask.

 

“Lindsay and Michael didn’t like the idea of Brian once again letting Justin into his life. Michael loves Brian and wanted a life with him, Justin got in the way. Lindsay’s a bit more complicated, she believed the only reason Brian wanted Justin was because Justin was as close to Lindsay as Brian could find in a man. Lindsay wants to believe that if she was with Brian, her life would have been different. We took care of Lindsay, but Justin coming here with Brian will only have the headache that is Michael, trying to get Brian to leave Justin.” She tells me.

 

“Do you think it would do any good for me to talk to Michael?” I ask.

 

“No. It’s really just a waste of time, Michael doesn’t hear anything that doesn’t fit into Michael’s world. He isn’t even listening to his mother when normally he would” She tells me.

 

I went to the bar anyway because if I could somehow get him to listen, it was one less thing for Justin to deal with. I found him the way Ted told them he found Michael on his last visit. Sitting at the bar, drinking his worries away. I sat next to him and ordered a beer. Then tilted my head to get Michael another drink. The bartender poured him a shot of Beam and Michael downed it, sputtering after.

 

“Want another?” I ask.

 

“I’m not interested.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not either. I just wanted to meet the man who caused my son to leave Pittsburgh.” I tell him.

 

“What?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t introduce myself did I? Craig Taylor. Justin’s father and Brian’s father-in-law.” I tell him.

 

“I'm the answer to your prayers.” He tells me, perking up.

 

“Which prayer would that be?” I ask.

 

“That Brian would leave your son for good.” He tells me, smiling like a hyena.

 

“Why are you the answer?” I ask.

 

“Brian loves me. He's only with Justin because he feels responsible for the crap Justin brings on himself. I could be persuaded to help you.” He tells me.

 

“Well, I did come here to ask you to help me.” I tell him.

 

“Why did I listen to Lindsay when you would have wanted the same thing I want?” He said to the air. “We need to figure out a way to get Brian here and for me to see him alone, without Justin.” He tells me.

 

“What would that accomplish?” I ask.

 

“When your son’s around he keeps Brian from anyone who could get Brian to see he doesn’t want the life Justin wants. I need Brian to know we can raise the kids together and he no longer has to live the life he never wanted.” Michael tells me.

 

“From what I’ve seen of Brian, he wouldn’t do something unless it was something he wanted .” I tell him.

 

“You don’t know Brian. Before Justin, the only thing he cared about was me. He did anything to keep me happy.” He announces to the whole bar.

 

“If that’s true, why isn’t he still here, with you?” The bartender asks.

 

“Because Justin can’t fucking take the hint we all gave him and disappear.” Michael tells him.

 

“How about I give you a hint. The only one they all wanted to disappear was you. I figure you're only a few bottles away from making them all happy.” The bartender tells him.

 

“Ignore him, he thinks he knows everything.” Michael turns to me.

 

“Sounds like he sees the future you're headed for.” I tell him.

 

“Not if we help Brian see the truth.” He tells me.

 

“The truth is, Brian is where he wants to be, which is with Justin. I know everyone told me trying to get you to understand anything would be a waste of my time, but I figured I got one miracle, why not try for two. You can have your store, but only if you leave my son and Brian alone.” I tell him.

 

“Joan owns it.” He tells me.

 

“She sold it and I bought it. I didn’t see it as the waste of money she did, because it was something you and I could bargain with. You let Justin have peace and I’ll give you a way to pay for these drinks you're downing, while waiting for a life you never did anything to deserve.” I tell him.

 

“I want it in my name.” The greedy little shit tells me.

 

“It will be, along with the agreement you’ll sign. If you bother Justin or Brian, then the shop goes to Justin.” I tell him.

 

“Why would you give it to Justin?” He asks.

 

“It makes sense, you’d do anything to keep Justin from having all your dreams.” I tell him, leaving.