- Text Size +

 

After the Fall

Chapter 14





“Brian, I need to talk to you.”

“You were late getting home last night,” Brian said as he sipped his coffee at the kitchen table. Bree and Patrick and Beau were outside playing somewhere. Justin was working on his computer in the sun porch.

“I … I’ve been busy the last few days,” John said carefully. He was pleased that the Cole Adams fiasco seemed to have been resolved, but he wasn’t sure how to tell his brother about what the “family” had done … without Brian’s knowledge.

“I noticed. What have you been up to?”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

Brian frowned. It wasn’t like John to beat around the bush. Usually he just said what was on his mind. It was one of the things that Brian really admired about his brother. But today something was different. Brian felt a little jab of fear as he stared into John’s eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“Um … I want you to listen to what I have to say, and don’t go off the deep end. Okay?”

“What the fuck is this all about, John? You’re scaring me. Is this about Gus and that asshole he’s been seeing?”

John nodded. “Gus confessed to his mother and grandmother that he’d taken Cole to the loft. Some guy named Gene, who owns a pawnshop, contacted Hunter about some items that had been brought into his shop. Apparently he recognized them. They were being pawned by two young men. He had seen the items in your loft.”

Brian wracked his brain trying to picture a guy named Gene, but nothing came to mind. There had been so many tricks through the loft over the years. Then it hit Brian, the full meaning of what John had just said.

“Are you telling me that Cole fucking Adams robbed the loft?”

John nodded again. “He’s been helping himself to things from the loft for the last week or so.”

“Fuck! I’ll kill the little bastard!”

“Calm down, Brian. He cleaned out the loft yesterday … all they could carry anyway.”

“What did they take?” Brian asked with a frown.

“The BOSE, some cash, your Metal Men statues and the painting of Bree.”

“Fuck!”

“They’re under arrest,” John said rather proud to be able to announce that.

“What?”

“We had them under surveillance, and when they tried to pawn the items, Carl and the police got them dead to rights.”

“Jesus Christ, why didn’t anybody tell me?”

“We wanted to keep you out of prison. We knew you’d kill them if you found out.”

Brian snorted, but he knew deep down that John had been trying to protect him. He still found that hard to accept sometimes … that he had people in his life who were actually looking out for him. “Well, it’s good that they caught them,” Brian admitted, his anger receding. “How’s Gus?”

“That’s part of why I wanted to talk to you. Gus is taking this hard,” John told his brother.

“He’s not still in love with that fucker, is he?”

“No, no, I don’t think so, although Cole was his first attempt at love. He’s taking the betrayal hard. And he blames himself for Cole ripping off the loft.”

“Shit! That’s not his fault.”

“I know that, and you know that, but I’m not sure Gus believes it.”

“I better talk to him.”

“That’s what I was hoping you would say. Oh, and Cole and his cousin are being arraigned today. I thought you might like to see them taken down.”

Brian smiled that strange smile that held no humor. John could tell he was planning something.

“What are you thinking?” John asked.

“What time is the arraignment?” Brian asked ignoring John’s question.

“Around eleven at the superior court downtown.”

“Superior court?”

“It’s grand theft.”

“Fuck!”

“Yeah, but they deserve whatever happens to them,” John stated.

“You got that right.”



*****



“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he walked out onto the porch and saw his son sitting on the steps. According to Lindsay that was where Gus was spending all his time since his relationship with the infamous Cole had started to unravel. He did little other than mope around.

Gus jumped and turned to look at his father. “Pop! I’m so sorry,” Gus started.

“Gus, can it!”

“Huh?”

“You heard me.”

Gus dropped his eyes and looked sad. “I’m still sorry.”

“Haven’t I told you at least twenty times that sorry’s bullshit?”

Gus smiled in spite of himself. “Well, maybe you’ve told me that … once or twice.”

Brian sat down on the step next to his son. He put his arm around Gus’ shoulders and pulled him against his body. He felt Gus gulp and then start to shake with silent sobs.

“Let it all out, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he held onto Gus, who wrapped his arms around Brian’s chest and held on while he cried for what he had done and what he had thought he had with Cole. It had all turned to shit. After a couple of minutes Gus pulled away and wiped at his eyes.

“Sorry, Pop,” Gus said with a shaky voice.

Brian raised an eyebrow disapprovingly and Gus understood that it was all right to cry. He didn’t have to be sorry about that or apparently about anything else either.

“I don’t understand how Cole could do that to me,” Gus whispered staring at his feet.

“Because he’s a user. He took advantage of your youth and inexperience.”

Gus shook his head. “How could I have been so stupid?”

“Love will do strange things to you.”

“I did think I loved him, Pop … at first.”

“But you started doubting that pretty fast, didn’t you?”

Gus thought about that. “Yeah. I kept telling myself that he loved me back, but I think I knew somewhere deep inside… I … I was flattered that someone older wanted me. I didn’t realize how much older he was. He’s twenty-two.”

“Fuck!”

“He kept coming after me. He followed me here to Pittsburgh. I thought he really wanted me, that he must really love me.”

“Sounds vaguely familiar,” Brian said with a strange look on his face.

Gus looked at his father. “You’re talking about Justin, aren’t you?”

Brian blinked. “No, we’re talking about you.”

“I really believed him, Pop. He was my first.”

“Don’t let that color all your other relationships, Gus. Now you have some experience. You’ll know what feels right and what doesn’t.”

Gus smiled. “That’s kind of what Grandma Joan told me.”

“She did?” Brian could hardly believe that his son had gone to Joan for advice … and about a gay relationship. Would wonders never cease? “Did you listen to her?”

“Yeah. That’s when I realized I didn’t like the way Cole made me feel. The sex was great, but I hated that he expected me to pay for everything, and that he made me sneak around behind everyone’s back.”

“That’s your gut talking. Always listen to your gut,” Brian advised him.

“I plan to in the future.”

“And don’t blame yourself. Cole is the one who did wrong.”

“Thanks, Pop. I’ll try, but do you think I’ll ever find someone … someone like maybe how you found Justin?”

Brian snorted. “I didn’t find him, he latched onto me. My little stalker.”

“I know you don’t mean that, Pop.”

“I did at the time.”

“But he changed your mind?”

“Justin changed everything.”

“Do you think I can find someone like Justin?”

“No, Justin’s one of a kind. But you’ll find the person who’s right for you. Just take your time. You’ll know when it’s right. The odds were a million, no, make that a billion to one, against me finding true love. I didn’t even believe in fucking love. And then along came that little blond Taylor. I treated him like shit, and denied that I loved him, for far too long. You know what an unworthy asshole I am, and I still got the gold ring at the end of the rainbow.”

“Isn’t that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or the brass ring on the merry-go-round?” Gus chuckled.

“You tell it your way and I’ll tell it mine.”

“Whatever you say, Pop,” Gus laughed softly.

“I say that you will find the perfect person for you … eventually. Be patient. You’re still very young.”

“I know … and you’re not an unworthy asshole.”

“I was.”

Gus sighed. He hated to think that his father had thought that for so much of his younger life. “I love you, Pop.”

Brian smiled and nodded. Then he cleared his throat and got to the second point of his visit. “I came into Pittsburgh mainly to talk to you today, but John tells me that a little fucker that we both know is being arraigned today. I’m going to be there. Want to come with me?”

“Me? Go to court with Cole? I don’t think…”

“Gus, the best way to deal with fears and worries and guilt is to face it head on. I think you should come with me. Look that fucker in the eye and show him that you’re a million times better than he could ever hope to be.”

Gus’ face broke into a smile. “Well, when you put it that way…”

“Go put on something that makes you look devastatingly beautiful.”

“Isn’t that your domain?”

“You can run me a close second … and one of these days you’ll be miles ahead of me in that department.”

“I love you, Pop.”

“You said that before,” Brian smirked. “And, Gus, I love you right back.”

Gus stood and ran into the house. He felt better than he had in days.



*****



“You will be bound over for trial,” the judge said and banged her gavel.

Cole shook his head and looked at his cousin. He turned to leave the courtroom and noticed the two Kinney men sitting in the audience. Cole grinned and winked at Gus, trying to recapture some of his former bravado. Brian watched Gus blanch. He was about to step in when Cole made a fatal error.

“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole said to Gus, before they could take him away. “I see you couldn’t stay away from me.”

Gus felt his temper flare. How could Cole still talk to him like that? “I just came to see you get what you deserved. You’re the one going to jail … not me, asshole.”

Cole scowled and looked at the older Kinney. He was more beautiful than ever.

“You’ll make some con a good bitch. Enjoy,” Brian said smugly.

Cole felt the blood drain from his face. He hadn’t thought about that. Fuck!

“Let’s go, Gus, our work here is done,” Brian said gently as he stood up. Gus followed him out of the courtroom.



*****



The following day, Brian picked up Gus from his mothers’ house and they headed for the airport to meet Ray’s flight.

“You feeling better today?” Brian asked as they drove.

“A little. You were right. I was glad I went to court and faced Cole,” Gus admitted.

Brian smiled. “I’m always right. Haven’t I told you that?”

“About as many times as you’ve told me that sorry’s bullshit.”

“Have I gotten through to you yet?”

Gus laughed. “Yeah, Pop, I think you have.”

“Good. Just remember you’re a good kid and I love you, Justin loves you, Bree loves you, the family…”

“Okay, okay, I get it.”

“Just so you know,” Brian smirked.

“You’re impossible,” Gus sighed.

“And that’s why you love me.”

“There’s a million reasons I love you, Pop. You’ve been great about this whole thing.”

Brian shook his head. “I wanted to rip Cole Adams’ dick out through his throat. I don’t think that was so great.”

“But you didn’t do it. You let me learn for myself.”

“You know you wouldn’t have listened to me if I told you to stay away from Cole.”

Gus looked thoughtful. “I thought I knew him better than you … or anyone else.”

“You did, but he was a sly little fucker.”

“I won’t make that same mistake again,” Gus vowed.

“Don’t be too sure, Sonny Boy.”

“Huh?”

“Love can make you do some strange things.”

“Like marry Justin and settle down and have a child together and…”

“We’re talking about you, my lad.”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus chuckled as they pulled into the airport garage.



*****



“Ray, over here!” Gus shouted, waving his arms in the direction of his friend who had just collected his bag and was coming out of the secure area of the airport.

“Hey, Gus,” Ray smiled as he sped up to get to his friend quicker.

The two boys hugged … hard … and long. Brian smiled and shook his head. ‘And so it begins … again,’ he thought. “Raymond,” Brian said aloud.

Ray released Gus and shook Brian’s hand. “Good to see you again, Mr. Kinney.”

‘Seems like you were much happier to see my son,’ Brian thought to himself. “Let’s go, boys.”

They made their way back to the car. Ray and Gus were chattering away at each other. Brian let them talk as he loaded Ray’s bag into the back of Justin’s SUV beside Gus’ bag. They would both be staying at the cottage for the next two weeks. The boys climbed into the backseat, leaving Brian to drive them home. ‘Just like a fucking chauffeur,’ he thought. ‘This must be what it’s like to be invisible.’ He watched the boys in the rearview mirror all the way back to Edna’s Treasures. He never uttered a word. He wasn’t sure he could have gotten a word in edgeways even if he’d tried.

When they pulled up the lane to the house, the front door was flung open and Bree came barreling out. She was closely followed by Justin. Ray got out of the car, and Bree flung her arms around his legs.

“Ray, I’m happy you’re here,” she crowed.

“No kidding, short stuff,” he laughed, using the nickname that Gus always had for his little sister. “Give me five.”

Bree held up her little hand and high-fived Ray. Then she giggled happily. She liked Ray and Jeff a lot, much more than that stupid Cole. Maybe Ray would cheer her brother up. He looked happier already.

Gus watched Ray with Bree. It made him feel all warm inside, especially the way he high-fived Bree and talked to her like a real person. He couldn’t help but notice the difference between that and how someone else had treated his sister.

“Ray, I made you a card. Come see,” Bree stated loudly. She grabbed his hand and started to pull him towards the house.

“I’ll bring the bags,” Gus laughed.

“Thanks,” Ray called back. “I’m going to be busy for a while.”

Gus smiled. “I know.” He understood the powers of his little sister only too well. He watched Bree pull Ray into the house. He knew that he was very happy to have Ray there with him … for two whole weeks. They had plenty of time.

Brian pulled the bags out of the SUV. “A hand here, Sonny Boy, if you don’t mind.”

Gus looked at his father and moved to pick up the bags.

“What’s your gut telling you right now, Gus?” Brian had to ask.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out.”

“You will, Sonny Boy, you will.”