- Text Size +

After the Fall

Chapter 5





Helllooo!” Emmett called out as he let himself in through the front door of Edna’s Treasures at Brian’s end of the conjoined cottages.

“Fuck,” Brian cursed in his bed. “If it’s before nine I swear I’ll string up that skinny nelly assed bottom queen by his balls!” he growled through clenched jaws.

“Brian, calm down, we have a visitor,” Justin whispered as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

“Yeah, I know and he’s probably making himself at home in our kitchen.”

“Not him,” Justin gestured at the door. “Her.” Justin pointed down between them.

“Huh?” Brian looked puzzled then carefully drew back the sheets. There between them lay Briana. At some point during the night, Bree came into her daddies’ room and crawled into their bed. She was very distraught over her wounded Patrick and was unable to sleep. Bree sought the comfort of her daddies.

“She looks so tiny,” Brian muttered as he gazed at the petite child. “I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to her or Gus,” he whispered as he softly caressed his sleeping daughter’s cheek. “She looks so vulnerable.”

“Brian, nothing’s going to happen to her or Gus,” Justin tried to console his partner.

“Unless you’ve suddenly turned psychic on me you can’t possibly know that,” Brian spat, refusing to be patronized. Justin was momentarily taken aback at Brian’s anger but then realized it was Brian’s protectiveness for his family that fed the anger.

Justin waited until Brian got himself under control.

“I’m sorry, Sunshine,” Brian said contritely then leaned over to kiss his beautiful blond spouse. Justin caressed Brian’s face then patted down Brian’s unruly case of bed head. Brian snorted as he rolled his eyes upward.

“I guess I should get my ass up and see what the big old fairy wants now,” Brian grumbled. Justin giggled as he nodded. “Let her sleep. She was very upset last night. I’m sure if she had to sleep in our bed, she’ll be grumpy if you wake her up too soon.”

“I suppose,” Justin said with a yawn as he snuggled back down. Brian’s two blonds cuddled closely.

“She’s your daughter, Sunshine,” Brian snarked as he pulled on a pair of shorts, threw on a t-shirt and mentally prepared himself to face their fairy godmother, namely one Emmett Honeycutt.



*****



“Shit, it’s times like these that I wish I still smoked,” Brian muttered as he sat at his kitchen counter and watched as Emmett took over his stove and other appliances.

“Oh pooh, you don’t need that nasty habit anymore. Drink this, it’ll make you human again,” Emmett cooed cheerfully as he slid a mug of coffee at the beast.

“Why are you torturing me?” Brian asked after a few sips.

“A little birdie called me last night.” Emmett was scrambling eggs and dicing vegetables for a large omelet.

“Little birdie?” Brian’s eyebrow arched up high. He suspected the species of birdie in question was of the short red wigged Italian variety.

“Brian, you know how much we all love John and Bobby and little Patrick. The family just wants...” Emmett’s explanation was cut off by Brian waving around his empty mug.

“No need to explain. When do they invade?”

Emmett refilled his mug, sliding the sugar bowl closer. “Around one. Whoever is coming will bring a dish or two, so don’t worry about feeding us.”

“I never do.” Brian finished off his second mug of coffee then began to gather the dishes together to set the table for breakfast.



*****



“Patrick, time to wake up,” Bobby shook his son gently. He and John had taken turns throughout the night checking on their son, waking him every two hours as directed. They were all tired and hungry.

“It hurts, Poppa,” Patrick whimpered. He was too tired to be brave and right now he needed his fathers. In anticipation, John walked in with a couple of tablets and a cup of juice. He found Bobby cradling their son, gently rocking the boy, soothing away the pain.

“I’m sorry, Daddy,” Patrick looked up at his older father.

“Shh, take these, they’ll make you feel better. We’ll all get washed up then go out to breakfast,” John stated reasonably.

“Not hungry.” Patrick wanted to hide in his room.

“Patrick, you have to eat. It’ll help your arm heal faster. Auntie Emm is in Uncle Brian’s kitchen cooking up a storm. I’m afraid if we don’t make an appearance in the porch very soon, Emmett will invade our kitchen.”

Duel red heads popped up with matching looks of horror on their faces.

“And I have it on good authority that several family members will be checking up on all of us later this afternoon. I think we should eat breakfast then go back to bed. We can get a few more hours of sleep before the army arrives,” John suggested.

Bobby and Patrick saw the sense in it. John and Bobby helped Patrick to get washed, dressed and then applied his sling. The Anderson-Morrison family went out to the sun porch to join the Kinney-Taylor half for breakfast.



*****



When Patrick appeared in the kitchen all eyes turned in his direction. Bree was sitting at the kitchen table while her Auntie Emm finished up what he was preparing.

“Patwick!” Bree screeched as slid off her chair. She raced across the room to throw herself into Patrick’s arms. She saw him flinch as she approached, and she skidded to a stop before she crashed into him. “You okay?” she asked with a worried look on her little face.

Patrick nodded. “Poppa gave me some medicine to stop the pain.”

Bree studied her cousin and friend for a moment then she reached up to place her arms gently around Patrick’s neck. Careful not to push on his cast, Bree hugged him as best she could and kissed his cheek.

“I’m okay,” Patrick said trying to be manly as he wiped at the spot she had just kissed.

“Come sit beside me,” Bree begged, taking Patrick’s good hand and trying to pull him over to the table. “I help you.”

Patrick looked up at his fathers who nodded that he should go with Bree. He walked over and sat gingerly on the chair beside Bree. Bobby placed himself next to the boy so that he could assist his son with his food if he needed help.

Bree leaned over to Patrick and whispered, “I sorry.”

Patrick blinked. He wasn’t sure what Bree was sorry for. He had been the one showing off. “It’s okay, Bree,” he said. “Grandpa says I’ll be fine in a few weeks.”

“That’s good,” Bree said sitting up straight. “We’re ready, Auntie Emm,” she announced.

“Your wish is my command, Princess Bree,” Emmett replied with a flourish of his hand. He set a plate in front of her and another in front of Patrick. “Our little prince needs his nourishment too. Eat up.”

Patrick looked at the heaping plate of omelet and bacon and home fries. He looked at Bobby who shrugged and said, “Just eat what you can.”

Patrick picked up his fork with his left hand. Being right handed it was very awkward trying to get a morsel of food stabbed with the fork in his left hand.

“I feed you,” Bree declared. She picked up her fork, skewered a chunk of home fries and held it up to Patrick’s lips.

“I can do it,” Patrick said testily. “I’m not a baby.” He pushed Bree’s arm away.

“Sowwy,” Bree said dropping the fork on her plate and staring into her lap.

Patrick saw a stray tear run down her cheek. He felt bad for causing that. “I can eat the home fries, Bree. But you could help me with the omelet. I don’t think I can cut it.”

Bobby was about to cut it for his son when he felt John’s hand on his thigh. John shook his head as they all watched Bree carefully break off a piece of omelet. Patrick let her feed it to him. The little girl beamed happily. She wiped away the tear that still clung to her chin.

“Eat good, Patrick. You have to get better,” Bree counseled.

“I will,” Patrick agreed.

Everyone dug into the delicious breakfast that Emmett had prepared. They couldn’t help watching, as Bree would feed a piece of something to Patrick and then take one of her own. This went on for the rest of the breakfast. Patrick seemed to have forgotten that he was going to eat his home fries by himself. As a result, Patrick ate a lot more than he had intended, and Bree was very happy being able to do something for her cousin.

After breakfast everybody headed for bed. The events of the previous day had been traumatic for all of them, and they were exhausted as a result. Plus, they had to fortify themselves for the onslaught of the well wishers who would descend on them in a few hours. Bree followed Patrick to his bedroom and they both curled up on his bed, getting the rest of the sleep that they needed.

That’s how Justin found his daughter some time later. Her arm was protectively across Patrick’s chest as the little boy slept on his back. Justin smiled at the beautiful picture. He knew that soon he would be painting a picture of this sweet scene.

By the time everyone got up and functional once again, the visitors had started to arrive. The first to descend on the cottage was Debbie, dragging Carl behind her, and Michael and Ben as well. Each man was laden with food in preparation for the ensuing barbecue.

“Where’s that brave little lad?” Debbie bellowed as she came through the door. She shoved a casserole dish at Brian and headed for the sun porch before anyone could answer. She found Patrick reclining on the chaise with Bree. “Oh, sweetheart, does it hurt?” she asked as she squeezed Patrick in a hug, but carefully, so as not to injure him further.

“A little bit,” Patrick admitted.

“Patrick’s very brave,” Bree informed her Gamma, nodding her head knowingly.

Patrick beamed at Bree’s kind words. “It’s not so bad.”

“Well, I brought you lots of food. You and your dads won’t have to cook for a week.”

“Try a month,” Brian snarked as he joined them. “Who all’s coming to this shindig?”

“I don’t know for sure. It was short notice, but I bet a lot of people will make the effort to get here,” Debbie explained.

“I can hardly wait.”

“Don’t be an asshole, kiddo,” Debbie warned. “Patrick needs our support.”

Brian tried to look contrite. He knew that Patrick needed support, but the poor boy didn’t need to be overwhelmed. And the fucking “family” could be overwhelming at the best of times. “Yeah, but don’t scare the fuck out of him.”

Debbie glared at Brian before smacking his cheek and then pulling him into a bone crusher of a hug. “You know how to take care of your family, kiddo,” she whispered in his ear.

“Thanks, Deb,” he replied.

The rest of the guests took that moment to start arriving.



*****



“Hi lambskin,” Lindsay greeted Gus who was sitting in the garden when she arrived. She had driven up by herself and would take JR and Gus home with her. Melanie was caught up with a big case and begged off the impromptu party.

“Oh, Mom,” Gus whined at the nickname. “I’m almost seventeen; can’t you come up with a better nickname?” He almost let an expletive slip.

“Sorry, honey, force of habit,” Lindsay said with a shrug. “Are you all right, sweetie?” Lindsay asked her son who looked distracted. “Patrick will be okay.”

“I know. I mean, I feel bad that he broke his arm but that’s not it.” Gus was contemplating taking Steve’s advice and confiding in his mom. For some reason he thought his mother would be more understanding than his father. “Mom, can we take a walk?”

“Sure, lambskin. Let me say hello to JR and the rest of the family and I’ll be right back.”

“Thanks, Mom.” Gus was relieved.



*****



“Where’s my grandson?” Claire asked, scanning the sun porch as she and Steve came through the door. Dan and Emily were right behind. The set of grandparents had driven over to the cottage together.

“Here I am, Grandma!” Patrick called out amid a flock of well wishers. Drew had joined Emmett at the cottage. While Emmett fawned all over the broken boy, bringing him snacks and goodies, Drew regaled the lad with tales of football war stories.

“How are you feeling, Patrick?” Emily asked her only grandson.

“Better,” Patrick said with bravado.

“I helped Patrick eat his eggs this morning!” Bree assured Patrick’s grandma.

“Oh thank you, Briana. That was very good of you. You’ll make a very fine doctor or nurse someday,” Emily gushed and Briana beamed. Bree so wanted her cousin and best friend in the whole world to get better.

“Patrick, can I check your cast?” Dan asked his grandson and patient. Under normal circumstances, Dan would never treat a family member, but John had insisted. So Dan had a colleague actually treat Patrick with Doctor Dan in close attendance. Dan checked the cast and the circulation to Patrick’s arm and hand. Pronouncing the boy on the right road to recovery, Dan handed his grandson a large cup of milk.

“Now, where is your Uncle? I want him to grill us some steak,” Dan confided to his grandson with a wink. Patrick smiled brightly.

Ted and Allen decided to drive to the cottage as well and brought along boxes of munchies, soft drinks and beer. Ted knew that Brian would probably want to keep close to home for a time while his nephew recovered. John was knee deep in projects that required his supervision. Bobby had intentions of taking some time off and then working from home. Ted brought several contracts for Brian to peruse and approve.

“What’s wrong, Bri?” Ted asked, handing his friend and boss a cold beer. Brian was getting looks from many of the family so he thought it best to fire up the grill.
“You’re acting like it was Bree that broke an arm,” Ted said innocently.

“Bite your tongue, Theodore,” Brian snapped angrily.

“Whoa, only a comment on the state of your … your face. You look like you’ve lost your best friend, and since both Justin and Michael are here, then I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re brooding about something. It can’t be anything business related since Kinnetik, Babylon and your other enterprises are all raking in the dough. So therefore you’re ‘subduededness’ must be child related.”

“Subduededness? Is that even a word?”

“Probably not but I’m trying to make a point here. The kids are fine. The family is fine.” Ted ignored the eyebrow and glare. “Brian, boys will break things. Even the great Brian Kinney broke something. Now, stop glaring at everyone and start grilling before you have a riot on your hands.” Brian stared at his friend and business associate.

“Since when did you grow balls?”

“Since you made me your CFO. Now grill, before I sic Emmett on you,” Ted said smugly. Brian immediately complied.



*****



“What is it, Gus?” Lindsay asked her son as they slowly strolled the path to the stream. The wildflowers were all in bloom, filling the summer air with their fragrance. Lindsay could see where Justin got most of his inspiration and why he never wanted to leave Edna’s Treasures.

“Mom, did you ever do something not really bad but not really good either?” Gus wanted to tell his mother about Cole but was embarrassed.

“Yes, I’ve made many mistakes but I’ve tried to learn from them and not repeat them.” Lindsay suspected that her son had met someone, but unlike Brian who demanded name, rank and serial number, she took a softer route and did not push.

“Mom...”

“Whatever it is, lambskin, just remember I love you.” Lindsay drew her precious son into a hug. Gus went willingly into his mother’s arms.

“Love you too, Mom,” Gus said without revealing anything of Cole to his mother.

Mother and son shared the hug until Gus’ stomach grumbled.

“I think someone’s hungry,” Lindsay laughed as she gently pushed Gus away to look at his talking tummy. Just then Lindsay’s stomach grumbled too.

“And I think your stomach seconded the motion.” Gus and his mother cracked up. “Let’s go back. I think I hear Pop slamming the grill.” Gus and Lindsay laughed louder as they walked back toward the cottage.



*****



“Jackie, you’re brooding,” Claire commented to her son.

“I do not brood,” John replied curtly, receiving a displeased mother’s glare for his trouble. “Okay, so I’m brooding but I think I’m entitled.” John tried to be convincing.

“Maybe, but you know that children pick up what their parents are feeling and if you start treating your son like he’s made out of glass, he’ll never get back on that horse. How many times did you fall off a horse or out of a tree or off some scaffolding somewhere and broke a bone or two?”

“More times than I care to remember,” John admitted.

“I know how much you want to protect your son. You turned more than a few of my hairs grey, but it’s time you got over it, and shake some sense into your brother as well.”

“What does Brian have to do with this?”

“John, he looks just as devastated as you do about this. Patrick is his godson and he supported you and Bobby all the way. Hell, you know Brian feels almost as responsible for your son as you do. He’s hovering, over Patrick, and over Bree. Set an example for him. Actions speak louder than words for Brian. You can care for Patrick without coddling him. Besides, Bree will do all the coddling for you.”

John snickered; his mother was right, as usual. Right about Patrick, himself, Brian and Bree.

“Okay, no more brooding. Caring without coddling. We’ll leave that to Bree. She’ll take care of her prince.”

“She certainly will. Now let’s convince Brian before he beats up the grill.” Claire and John laughed as they went to rescue Brian and his grill.After the Fall

Chapter 5

Helllooo!” Emmett called out as he let himself in through the front door of Edna’s Treasures at Brian’s end of the conjoined cottages.


“Fuck,” Brian cursed in his bed. “If it’s before nine I swear I’ll string up that skinny nelly assed bottom queen by his balls!” he growled through clenched jaws.


“Brian, calm down, we have a visitor,” Justin whispered as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.


“Yeah, I know and he’s probably making himself at home in our kitchen.”


“Not him,” Justin gestured at the door. “Her.” Justin pointed down between them.


“Huh?” Brian looked puzzled then carefully drew back the sheets. There between them lay Briana. At some point during the night, Bree came into her daddies’ room and crawled into their bed. She was very distraught over her wounded Patrick and was unable to sleep. Bree sought the comfort of her daddies.


“She looks so tiny,” Brian muttered as he gazed at the petite child. “I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to her or Gus,” he whispered as he softly caressed his sleeping daughter’s cheek. “She looks so vulnerable.”


“Brian, nothing’s going to happen to her or Gus,” Justin tried to console his partner.


“Unless you’ve suddenly turned psychic on me you can’t possibly know that,” Brian spat, refusing to be patronized. Justin was momentarily taken aback at Brian’s anger but then realized it was Brian’s protectiveness for his family that fed the anger.


Justin waited until Brian got himself under control.


“I’m sorry, Sunshine,” Brian said contritely then leaned over to kiss his beautiful blond spouse. Justin caressed Brian’s face then patted down Brian’s unruly case of bed head. Brian snorted as he rolled his eyes upward.


“I guess I should get my ass up and see what the big old fairy wants now,” Brian grumbled. Justin giggled as he nodded. “Let her sleep. She was very upset last night. I’m sure if she had to sleep in our bed, she’ll be grumpy if you wake her up too soon.”


“I suppose,” Justin said with a yawn as he snuggled back down. Brian’s two blonds cuddled closely.


“She’s your daughter, Sunshine,” Brian snarked as he pulled on a pair of shorts, threw on a t-shirt and mentally prepared himself to face their fairy godmother, namely one Emmett Honeycutt.


*****


“Shit, it’s times like these that I wish I still smoked,” Brian muttered as he sat at his kitchen counter and watched as Emmett took over his stove and other appliances.


“Oh pooh, you don’t need that nasty habit anymore. Drink this, it’ll make you human again,” Emmett cooed cheerfully as he slid a mug of coffee at the beast.


“Why are you torturing me?” Brian asked after a few sips.


“A little birdie called me last night.” Emmett was scrambling eggs and dicing vegetables for a large omelet.


“Little birdie?” Brian’s eyebrow arched up high. He suspected the species of birdie in question was of the short red wigged Italian variety.


“Brian, you know how much we all love John and Bobby and little Patrick. The family just wants...” Emmett’s explanation was cut off by Brian waving around his empty mug.


“No need to explain. When do they invade?”


Emmett refilled his mug, sliding the sugar bowl closer. “Around one. Whoever is coming will bring a dish or two, so don’t worry about feeding us.”


“I never do.” Brian finished off his second mug of coffee then began to gather the dishes together to set the table for breakfast.


*****


“Patrick, time to wake up,” Bobby shook his son gently. He and John had taken turns throughout the night checking on their son, waking him every two hours as directed. They were all tired and hungry.


“It hurts, Poppa,” Patrick whimpered. He was too tired to be brave and right now he needed his fathers. In anticipation, John walked in with a couple of tablets and a cup of juice. He found Bobby cradling their son, gently rocking the boy, soothing away the pain.


“I’m sorry, Daddy,” Patrick looked up at his older father.


“Shh, take these, they’ll make you feel better. We’ll all get washed up then go out to breakfast,” John stated reasonably.


“Not hungry.” Patrick wanted to hide in his room.


“Patrick, you have to eat. It’ll help your arm heal faster. Auntie Emm is in Uncle Brian’s kitchen cooking up a storm. I’m afraid if we don’t make an appearance in the porch very soon, Emmett will invade our kitchen.”


Duel red heads popped up with matching looks of horror on their faces.


“And I have it on good authority that several family members will be checking up on all of us later this afternoon. I think we should eat breakfast then go back to bed. We can get a few more hours of sleep before the army arrives,” John suggested.


Bobby and Patrick saw the sense in it. John and Bobby helped Patrick to get washed, dressed and then applied his sling. The Anderson-Morrison family went out to the sun porch to join the Kinney-Taylor half for breakfast.


*****


When Patrick appeared in the kitchen all eyes turned in his direction. Bree was sitting at the kitchen table while her Auntie Emm finished up what he was preparing.


“Patwick!” Bree screeched as slid off her chair. She raced across the room to throw herself into Patrick’s arms. She saw him flinch as she approached, and she skidded to a stop before she crashed into him. “You okay?” she asked with a worried look on her little face.


Patrick nodded. “Poppa gave me some medicine to stop the pain.”


Bree studied her cousin and friend for a moment then she reached up to place her arms gently around Patrick’s neck. Careful not to push on his cast, Bree hugged him as best she could and kissed his cheek.


“I’m okay,” Patrick said trying to be manly as he wiped at the spot she had just kissed.


“Come sit beside me,” Bree begged, taking Patrick’s good hand and trying to pull him over to the table. “I help you.”


Patrick looked up at his fathers who nodded that he should go with Bree. He walked over and sat gingerly on the chair beside Bree. Bobby placed himself next to the boy so that he could assist his son with his food if he needed help.


Bree leaned over to Patrick and whispered, “I sorry.”


Patrick blinked. He wasn’t sure what Bree was sorry for. He had been the one showing off. “It’s okay, Bree,” he said. “Grandpa says I’ll be fine in a few weeks.”


“That’s good,” Bree said sitting up straight. “We’re ready, Auntie Emm,” she announced.


“Your wish is my command, Princess Bree,” Emmett replied with a flourish of his hand. He set a plate in front of her and another in front of Patrick. “Our little prince needs his nourishment too. Eat up.”


Patrick looked at the heaping plate of omelet and bacon and home fries. He looked at Bobby who shrugged and said, “Just eat what you can.”


Patrick picked up his fork with his left hand. Being right handed it was very awkward trying to get a morsel of food stabbed with the fork in his left hand.


“I feed you,” Bree declared. She picked up her fork, skewered a chunk of home fries and held it up to Patrick’s lips.


“I can do it,” Patrick said testily. “I’m not a baby.” He pushed Bree’s arm away.


“Sowwy,” Bree said dropping the fork on her plate and staring into her lap.


Patrick saw a stray tear run down her cheek. He felt bad for causing that. “I can eat the home fries, Bree. But you could help me with the omelet. I don’t think I can cut it.”


Bobby was about to cut it for his son when he felt John’s hand on his thigh. John shook his head as they all watched Bree carefully break off a piece of omelet. Patrick let her feed it to him. The little girl beamed happily. She wiped away the tear that still clung to her chin.


“Eat good, Patrick. You have to get better,” Bree counseled.


“I will,” Patrick agreed.


Everyone dug into the delicious breakfast that Emmett had prepared. They couldn’t help watching, as Bree would feed a piece of something to Patrick and then take one of her own. This went on for the rest of the breakfast. Patrick seemed to have forgotten that he was going to eat his home fries by himself. As a result, Patrick ate a lot more than he had intended, and Bree was very happy being able to do something for her cousin.


After breakfast everybody headed for bed. The events of the previous day had been traumatic for all of them, and they were exhausted as a result. Plus, they had to fortify themselves for the onslaught of the well wishers who would descend on them in a few hours. Bree followed Patrick to his bedroom and they both curled up on his bed, getting the rest of the sleep that they needed.


That’s how Justin found his daughter some time later. Her arm was protectively across Patrick’s chest as the little boy slept on his back. Justin smiled at the beautiful picture. He knew that soon he would be painting a picture of this sweet scene.


By the time everyone got up and functional once again, the visitors had started to arrive. The first to descend on the cottage was Debbie, dragging Carl behind her, and Michael and Ben as well. Each man was laden with food in preparation for the ensuing barbecue.


“Where’s that brave little lad?” Debbie bellowed as she came through the door. She shoved a casserole dish at Brian and headed for the sun porch before anyone could answer. She found Patrick reclining on the chaise with Bree. “Oh, sweetheart, does it hurt?” she asked as she squeezed Patrick in a hug, but carefully, so as not to injure him further.


“A little bit,” Patrick admitted.


“Patrick’s very brave,” Bree informed her Gamma, nodding her head knowingly.


Patrick beamed at Bree’s kind words. “It’s not so bad.”


“Well, I brought you lots of food. You and your dads won’t have to cook for a week.”


“Try a month,” Brian snarked as he joined them. “Who all’s coming to this shindig?”


“I don’t know for sure. It was short notice, but I bet a lot of people will make the effort to get here,” Debbie explained.


“I can hardly wait.”


“Don’t be an asshole, kiddo,” Debbie warned. “Patrick needs our support.”


Brian tried to look contrite. He knew that Patrick needed support, but the poor boy didn’t need to be overwhelmed. And the fucking “family” could be overwhelming at the best of times. “Yeah, but don’t scare the fuck out of him.”


Debbie glared at Brian before smacking his cheek and then pulling him into a bone crusher of a hug. “You know how to take care of your family, kiddo,” she whispered in his ear.


“Thanks, Deb,” he replied.


The rest of the guests took that moment to start arriving.


*****


“Hi lambskin,” Lindsay greeted Gus who was sitting in the garden when she arrived. She had driven up by herself and would take JR and Gus home with her. Melanie was caught up with a big case and begged off the impromptu party.


“Oh, Mom,” Gus whined at the nickname. “I’m almost seventeen; can’t you come up with a better nickname?” He almost let an expletive slip.


“Sorry, honey, force of habit,” Lindsay said with a shrug. “Are you all right, sweetie?” Lindsay asked her son who looked distracted. “Patrick will be okay.”


“I know. I mean, I feel bad that he broke his arm but that’s not it.” Gus was contemplating taking Steve’s advice and confiding in his mom. For some reason he thought his mother would be more understanding than his father. “Mom, can we take a walk?”


“Sure, lambskin. Let me say hello to JR and the rest of the family and I’ll be right back.”


“Thanks, Mom.” Gus was relieved.


*****


“Where’s my grandson?” Claire asked, scanning the sun porch as she and Steve came through the door. Dan and Emily were right behind. The set of grandparents had driven over to the cottage together.


“Here I am, Grandma!” Patrick called out amid a flock of well wishers. Drew had joined Emmett at the cottage. While Emmett fawned all over the broken boy, bringing him snacks and goodies, Drew regaled the lad with tales of football war stories.


“How are you feeling, Patrick?” Emily asked her only grandson.


“Better,” Patrick said with bravado.


“I helped Patrick eat his eggs this morning!” Bree assured Patrick’s grandma.


“Oh thank you, Briana. That was very good of you. You’ll make a very fine doctor or nurse someday,” Emily gushed and Briana beamed. Bree so wanted her cousin and best friend in the whole world to get better.


“Patrick, can I check your cast?” Dan asked his grandson and patient. Under normal circumstances, Dan would never treat a family member, but John had insisted. So Dan had a colleague actually treat Patrick with Doctor Dan in close attendance. Dan checked the cast and the circulation to Patrick’s arm and hand. Pronouncing the boy on the right road to recovery, Dan handed his grandson a large cup of milk.


“Now, where is your Uncle? I want him to grill us some steak,” Dan confided to his grandson with a wink. Patrick smiled brightly.


Ted and Allen decided to drive to the cottage as well and brought along boxes of munchies, soft drinks and beer. Ted knew that Brian would probably want to keep close to home for a time while his nephew recovered. John was knee deep in projects that required his supervision. Bobby had intentions of taking some time off and then working from home. Ted brought several contracts for Brian to peruse and approve.


“What’s wrong, Bri?” Ted asked, handing his friend and boss a cold beer. Brian was getting looks from many of the family so he thought it best to fire up the grill.

“You’re acting like it was Bree that broke an arm,” Ted said innocently.


“Bite your tongue, Theodore,” Brian snapped angrily.


“Whoa, only a comment on the state of your … your face. You look like you’ve lost your best friend, and since both Justin and Michael are here, then I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re brooding about something. It can’t be anything business related since Kinnetik, Babylon and your other enterprises are all raking in the dough. So therefore you’re ‘subduededness’ must be child related.”


“Subduededness? Is that even a word?”


“Probably not but I’m trying to make a point here. The kids are fine. The family is fine.” Ted ignored the eyebrow and glare. “Brian, boys will break things. Even the great Brian Kinney broke something. Now, stop glaring at everyone and start grilling before you have a riot on your hands.” Brian stared at his friend and business associate.


“Since when did you grow balls?”


“Since you made me your CFO. Now grill, before I sic Emmett on you,” Ted said smugly. Brian immediately complied.


*****


“What is it, Gus?” Lindsay asked her son as they slowly strolled the path to the stream. The wildflowers were all in bloom, filling the summer air with their fragrance. Lindsay could see where Justin got most of his inspiration and why he never wanted to leave Edna’s Treasures.


“Mom, did you ever do something not really bad but not really good either?” Gus wanted to tell his mother about Cole but was embarrassed.


“Yes, I’ve made many mistakes but I’ve tried to learn from them and not repeat them.” Lindsay suspected that her son had met someone, but unlike Brian who demanded name, rank and serial number, she took a softer route and did not push.


“Mom...”


“Whatever it is, lambskin, just remember I love you.” Lindsay drew her precious son into a hug. Gus went willingly into his mother’s arms.


“Love you too, Mom,” Gus said without revealing anything of Cole to his mother.


Mother and son shared the hug until Gus’ stomach grumbled.


“I think someone’s hungry,” Lindsay laughed as she gently pushed Gus away to look at his talking tummy. Just then Lindsay’s stomach grumbled too.


“And I think your stomach seconded the motion.” Gus and his mother cracked up. “Let’s go back. I think I hear Pop slamming the grill.” Gus and Lindsay laughed louder as they walked back toward the cottage.


*****


“Jackie, you’re brooding,” Claire commented to her son.


“I do not brood,” John replied curtly, receiving a displeased mother’s glare for his trouble. “Okay, so I’m brooding but I think I’m entitled.” John tried to be convincing.


“Maybe, but you know that children pick up what their parents are feeling and if you start treating your son like he’s made out of glass, he’ll never get back on that horse. How many times did you fall off a horse or out of a tree or off some scaffolding somewhere and broke a bone or two?”


“More times than I care to remember,” John admitted.


“I know how much you want to protect your son. You turned more than a few of my hairs grey, but it’s time you got over it, and shake some sense into your brother as well.”


“What does Brian have to do with this?”


“John, he looks just as devastated as you do about this. Patrick is his godson and he supported you and Bobby all the way. Hell, you know Brian feels almost as responsible for your son as you do. He’s hovering, over Patrick, and over Bree. Set an example for him. Actions speak louder than words for Brian. You can care for Patrick without coddling him. Besides, Bree will do all the coddling for you.”


John snickered; his mother was right, as usual. Right about Patrick, himself, Brian and Bree.


“Okay, no more brooding. Caring without coddling. We’ll leave that to Bree. She’ll take care of her prince.”


“She certainly will. Now let’s convince Brian before he beats up the grill.” Claire and John laughed as they went to rescue Brian and his grill.