- Text Size +

 

After the Fall

Chapter 6





Brian had barbecued up a storm, and everyone had indulged in far more food than they should have. Nobody could resist all the delicious casseroles and salads and desserts that everyone had brought.

Patrick and Bree were still ensconced on the chaise where people made a point of coming to talk to them and seeing that they had lots of food and drinks. Everyone enjoyed chatting and telling stories of their own sprains or breaks when they were younger. Patrick held up quite well during all the attention. Brian and John seemed to calm down a bit, and things seemingly were back to normal.

As the afternoon wore on, Dan Morrison realized that Patrick was starting to flag. He pulled Bobby aside and pointed out this fact. Bobby and John conferred on how to handle the situation. John decided to take a leaf from Brian Kinney’s book. He whistled loudly, getting everyone’s attention.

“I want to thank you all for coming today. My son, my husband and I are very lucky to be part of this warm and caring family. It was great of you all to come here today to show your support and to cheer us all up.”

“But…” Ted said when John paused.

“You’re a smart man, Theodore,” Brian whispered to him. He had realized what John was doing as soon as his brother started speaking.

“But … I think our wounded prince needs to have a nap. He’s had a major blow to his body and he needs to rest and recuperate,” John explained as gently as he could.

“So, get the fuck out!” Debbie added with a laugh.

“Well, I was trying to put it a little more diplomatically than that,” John chuckled. Trust Debbie to get to the heart of the matter.

“Well, I’m ready to go,” Debbie said. “You just make sure you eat all that food that I brought today. And get that little angel back to normal as soon as possible.”

“Yes, ma’am,” John replied.

“I want to sign Patrick’s cast,” Michael piped up. “Then I’m ready to go.”

“That’s a great idea,” Ben added.

“Yeah, then Patrick will know how much we all love him,” Emmett said with his usual flamboyant flair.

Justin found some markers that would be suitable for writing on the fiberglass cast. Michael got to go first since it was his idea.

Suddenly the chaise where Bree and Patrick were sitting was surrounded by everyone waiting their turn. The person signing the cast sat on the edge of the chaise, and gradually Bree found herself pushed off to the side. She frowned, trying to get the marker every time someone finished signing, but she had no luck.

Finally she slid off the chaise and moved to the outside of the group. She watched them all surrounding Patrick, and suddenly felt very left out. She stamped her little foot in frustration, but nobody paid any attention. Drawing in a deep breath, she marched over to her little work table and pulled out paper and her own markers.

“You’re such a kid,” Brian joked when Michael was finished signing the cast.

“Just young at heart,” Michael said brightly. He was happy that everyone had picked up on his idea. Patrick seemed to love all the attention and the names and the little happy faces that people were drawing all over his orange cast.

“It was a good idea, Mikey,” Brian conceded.

Michael nodded in agreement. “There were a few times when we were teenagers that I thought you were going to need one of those.”

“Yeah,” was all Brian said in reply. He shook his head at the memory. “But as it turned out, neither of us needed one.”

“Miraculously,” Michael replied. “We did some stupid stuff too.”

“Speak for yourself. I was always impeccable in the choices I made.”

Michael snorted. “You are so fucking full of shit!”

“You know me too well,” Brian said with a wink. They hugged briefly before Michael and Ben took their leave.

It took longer than John and Bobby would have liked before all the autographs were added to the cast. But Patrick seemed to enjoy them all signing the cast on his arm. He laughed and smiled at their warm wishes and silly messages. Finally the last signature was added and the sun porch had cleared.

“Time for your nap,” John said scooping up his son from the chaise.

“Okay, Daddy,” Patrick said with a yawn. “I like my decorations.” He held up his cast, looking at the colorful array of things written and drawn on it.

“Everyone wants you to get all better real soon,” Bobby said, gently ruffling Patrick’s hair.

“I know, Poppa.” John started to carry his son to their side of the cottage. “Wait,” Patrick ordered suddenly. John stopped and waited to see what his son wanted. “Can Bree come with me?”

They looked over at Bree who was still working at her table. She looked up when she heard her name.

“Do you want me to come with you, Patrick?” she asked hopefully. She had thought that Patrick didn’t need her anymore when he had everyone else’s attention.

“Yes, I do,” Patrick replied. “And bring your favorite marker with you.”

“Why?” Bree asked with a frown. She picked up her paper she had been coloring and her purple marker.

“I’ll tell you in a minute,” Patrick said mysteriously.

“I’m going with Patrick,” Bree called into the kitchen where her fathers, Emmett and Drew were storing food in the fridge and cleaning up the kitchen.

“Okay, sweetheart,” Justin called in response.

John deposited his son on his bed and offered him another pain med. The little boy took it gratefully. His arm was throbbing.

“You two get some sleep,” Bobby cautioned as he kissed his son’s forehead.

“’Kay, Poppa.”

John and Bobby left the children alone, not quite closing the door to Patrick’s bedroom behind them.

“I wanted to sign your cast,” Bree pouted. “But everybody pushed me out of the way.”

“I know. I’m sorry,” Patrick told her.

“So I made you a card instead,” Bree said, brightening up at her own ingenuity.

“You didn’t need to.”

“I wanted to.” She handed the folded paper to her cousin.

Patrick looked at the front of the paper. It had Bree’s famous rainbow drawn and colored on it.

“I saw rainbow M & M’s in Nyork,” Bree told him.

“You did?”

“Yeah. Gamma Joan bought some of each color and we ate them.”

“Cool!”

“Read the inside,” Bree directed him.

Patrick opened the paper and smiled. “I love you too, Bree. Thanks for feeding me my eggs this morning.”

“I help you … whatever you need,” she said sincerely.

“I know,” Patrick said with a tired smile. “Have you got your marker?”

Bree nodded. “Why?”

“I saved a space for you,” Patrick said. He carefully turned his wrist over to show an empty spot on the part that would be closest to his heart when he wore his sling. “I wouldn’t let anybody write on there,” he declared.

“Thank you,” Bree said leaning over to kiss Patrick’s cheek.

“So, you want to put your name there?”

“Sure,” Bree said cheerfully. She carefully printed her name on the empty space.

“You didn’t fill the whole space,” Patrick observed.

“I saved room to make my rainbow there,” Bree said, “when I have all my colors to use.” She popped the lid back on her marker.

“I’d like that.” Patrick smiled at her, as they both settled down onto the bed and promptly fell asleep. Bree’s arm found its way to its resting place on Patrick’s chest. They both felt better when it was there.



*****



Later that night, the cottage was quiet. Brian and Justin were cuddling together on the chaise in the sun porch. The sun had set, lighting a fire of red and gold in the summer sky. Soon a moon was peeping over the trees.

John had retired early. He was to be up with the birds in the morning to supervise a new project then had several estimates lined up. Bobby had one court appointment later in the day that could not be rearranged. Other than that Bobby would be a house husband for at least a week.

Ted’s supposition that Brian wanted to stay close to home had hit the nail on the head. Aside from his Kinnetik work, Brian wanted to work on the gardens which although cared for while they were away in New York, still required his special attention. He and Bree had lots of gar-gar to do and would involve Patrick with as much as he could tolerate.

A refreshing breeze bringing in the soft fragrance of roses in bloom wafted into the sun porch. They could see Beau meandering through the garden on his nightly patrol. Beau would make his way down to the stream, inspecting every tree, marking some as he claimed this corner of the world as his. Then he’d dart across the road to Rachel and George’s house, circling the replanted home, making sure all was safe and secure.

Last but not least was Emmett’s dream cottage. Emmett and Drew’s haven away from the hustle and bustle of the city was surrounded by the white picket fence that Emmett had always desired. Beau took off in full run, down the lane to their end to make his inspection. Only when Beau was satisfied that his territory was secure did he come home, back to Edna’s Treasures.

Brian heard the soft swoosh of Beau’s doggie door swing back into place. Brian and Justin raised their heads as Beau’s nails clicked across the porch floor then watched him settle down for the night.

“And all is right in the world again,” Brian commented softly. He kissed Justin’s nose as Justin snuggled closer. Eventually they’d go to bed but for now, Brian and Justin were kings of all they could survey.

“Bri, do you know what chaos theory is?” Justin asked after a while.

Brian wasn’t asleep but his eyes were closed. He leaned back, opening his eyes to look at his spouse. “I suppose you mean the other theory and not the one that attempts to explain our chaotic family.”

Justin chuckled as he nodded.

Brian took a deep breath then answered his partner’s rather unexpected question. “Well, basically chaos theory says that some sort of seemingly inconsequential event that takes place hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles away can affect our life or environment in some way.”

Justin’s eyes grew wide at Brian’s correct, albeit simple, answer. But then again, Justin always knew Brian was a very smart man. Justin smiled smugly as he thought, ‘Of course he’s smart. He married me, didn’t he?’

“I let you catch me, Sunshine, then thought it prudent to make you an honest man,” Brian snarked, reading his husband’s thoughts. “Now what’s all this about chaos theory?”

“Do you know what a fractal is?” Justin’s blue eyes sparkled with mirth.

“A pictorial representation of chaos,” Brian retorted nonchalantly. “And I repeat, why the interest in chaos theory other than to drive me insane.”

Justin giggled then lovingly kissed Brian’s lips calming away the insanity, leaving a very relaxed Brian in its place. “I have an idea about a new show that involves fractals.”

“A new show? Sidney hasn’t launched your Seasons show yet.”

“I know but lately I’ve been thinking in colors.”

“You always think in colors, Sunshine. That’s what makes you so good,” Brian murmured his praises in that husky lust-filled whisper that never failed to stimulate Justin, in more ways than one.

Clearing his throat, Justin went on with his explanation. “I’d like to work in a different medium, actually several mediums and then marry them together.”

“Like us?” Brian quickly asked then added, “Which mediums?” Brian hugged the younger man closer.

“Paint, computer graphics and music. I want to paint a subject such as a flower or snowflake, try to find a fractal representation of the subject then morph them together somehow. And then set the whole thing to music.”

“Hmm, that’s a very interesting idea.”

“You’re not just humoring me?” Justin was skeptical.

“Not at all. You’re a modern artist, using modern mediums such as a computer. It was a computer program that rekindled your artistic spirit. There’s no reason why you can’t use it again. May I make a suggestion?”

“Does it involve us in a large soft bed?”

“Eventually,” Brian snarked. “I suggest you enlist the expertise of Kenneth Mann. He is a renowned computer graphic artist, and speak to some of your old professors at PIFA. You may find a young filmmaker that might share your vision. Who knows, one day you may just be a ‘staah’ and win an Oscar for an animated short.”

Justin poked Brian in the gut then got up off the chaise. Holding out his hand for Brian, they retired to their room and their very large, soft bed to create a bit of chaos of their own before drifting off to sleep.



*****



Gus snuggled down in his bed. He reached for his cell phone getting ready to call his “boyfriend”. God, he loved that word. He had been trying to find a way to make this call for hours, ever since his mother had driven him back to Pittsburgh, but he had to spend some family time with his other mother when she returned from work. Then they had had a snack before bed, since no one was very hungry after all the food at Edna’s Treasures earlier in the afternoon. Now Gus had some time to himself, and he could finally do what he wanted to do – talk to Cole.

Gus started to dial the number and then hesitated. He had to explain to Cole that they needed to be careful about when and where they met. Gus knew his father was very suspicious about what they had been doing. Now that Brian Kinney knew that Cole was in town, people would be watching them. His father had spies everywhere.

Gus knew he had got off lightly, because of Patrick’s unfortunate accident. If that hadn’t happened Gus would have had a lot more explaining to do to his father. Patrick breaking his arm had distracted everyone. And then with the barbecue, Brian had not found the time or inclination to grill his son. He was too busy grilling burgers and steaks. Gus breathed a sigh of relief over that lucky happenstance.

He pushed the speed dial number for Cole and waited. After a couple of rings, Cole picked up.

“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole said in his most seductive voice.

“Hey,” Gus responded feeling his dick grow hard at the sound of Cole’s voice.

“I hope you’re calling to ask me to meet you somewhere … like right now.”

Gus hesitated. “I can’t meet you tonight,” he said as gently as he could, hoping it wouldn’t make Cole mad.

“It’s been two fucking days. I need you,” Cole wheedled.

“I need you too, but I can’t sneak out. My father knows you’re here.”

“How the fuck did he find out?”

“We raced all over Liberty Avenue and ran into Uncle Ben … literally. You think they wouldn’t mention that to my father?”

“Fuck!”

“Yeah, double fuck,” Gus agreed.

“So where can we meet?”

“I … I don’t know,” Gus said wracking his brain for a good place.

“What about the loft? It was great last time,” Cole suggested.

“It was good, wasn’t it?” Gus said growing hard as he remembered what they had done.

“So, the loft it is,” Cole replied making it a cut and dried statement.

“Um … sure, why not?” Gus said. If they were careful and cleaned up after themselves, nobody had to know they were ever there.

“Good,” Cole agreed quickly. He was looking forward to checking out more of the loft and maybe helping himself to some more of those bills he had found. The others were gone already. He had pawned the signet ring, but it wasn’t worth much.

“Meet me at ten tomorrow morning?” Gus asked.

“That’s too early. I wasn’t planning on getting up till noon.”

“Oh,” Gus said, not at all happy that Cole wasn’t as eager to get together as he was.

“Make it two o’clock. I can hardly wait.”

“Me too,” Gus said with a smile on his face. “Um … how does a little phone sex sound at the moment?”

“Not bad,” Cole whispered huskily as Gus began to stroke himself.

“I’m going to eat your ass when we get together tomorrow,” Cole told him.

Gus felt his cock twitch in his hand at those words. “Mmm,” he moaned.

“That’s it, baby cakes. Come for me, come hard.”

Gus pulled harder on his dick feeling his orgasm build. One more stroke, he thought as he gave his cock a final tug. He groaned loudly as he shot his load all over his hand. “Fuck!” he moaned into the phone.

“Yeah, we’ll do that before long too,” Cole promised him. “Sleep well, baby cakes. I want you all rested and ready for me tomorrow.”

“I will be,” Gus replied, before he heard Cole cut the connection.

Gus reached for a tissue to clean himself off. He felt better, having got off, but it wasn’t the same as being with his “boyfriend”. Tomorrow would be great. He just knew it. He could hardly wait. With a happy smile on his face he rolled over and fell asleep.