- Text Size +

 

After the Fall

Chapter 8





About a week after copying the keys to Brian’s loft, Cole and Lex were sitting in a small booth at the Liberty Diner at three in the morning. They had drank up all of Lex’s beer and eaten anything remotely palatable in Lex’s dive of an apartment. They were hungry and between them had enough money for a couple of burgers and fries.

“I don’t understand why we haven’t cleaned out the loft yet,” Lex whined as he bit into his pickle and pushed away the coleslaw.

“Because, you idiot, we need to stake out the place for a while to see who lives there,” Cole explained to his not so smart and impatient cousin. “And when they go in and out of the building.”

Since Lex worked at the Big Q most days, Cole was keeping a watch on the place during the day. Lex kept an eye on the place after work and the two of them were taking turns over the weekend. They needed to score soon because Cole was running out of money. Lex’s job barely supported him, and unless Cole intended to find legitimate work, they needed to get their hands on some cash.

“Oh,” Lex mumbled around a French fry. “What about baby Kinney?”

“What about him?”

“You do the nasty with him yet?” Lex jeered.

“Not yet but he’s been earning his keep in other ways,” Cole replied.

“How?”

“He’s been telling me all about who lives at the building. So far they’re just a bunch of old fags. They keep pretty regular hours, so if we hit the place about ten or eleven in the morning, the building should be empty.”

“What about my job?”

“Call in sick, stupid!”

“Oh, yeah. Is it true that football guy lives there?”

“What football guy?” Lex told Cole all about Drew Boyd and what a legend he had become in the community, and even though Lex was just a kid when Drew had come out, Lex never forgot about it.

“What the fuck do I care about some old fag who came out when I was a baby? Besides, the Ironmen are semi-pro, they don’t count. Now if it was the Jets or the Giants...” Cole tried to boast about the NY teams. Lex just sucked on his straw, drinking down his soda. He was smart enough not to mention to his NY snob cousin that the Jets and the Giants really played in New Jersey.

“So what’s your boyfriend been up to lately?” Lex redirected the conversation.

“He got a part time job at some bookstore that his grandmother works at. It keeps him out of my way and puts a few bucks in his pocket.”

“Which he’s happy to lend to you,” Lex snarked.

“Yup, stupid bastard. But he also told me that his old man has been sticking close to home, meaning he won’t be at the loft to spoil our fun.”

“No shit, maybe the kid’s good for more than just a quick blowjob.”

Lex and Cole started laughing, breaking the relative quiet of the diner and catching the attention of one Carl Horvath, formerly, Detective Horvath, now retired. He had left Babylon for the night and stopped in for a quick coffee and lemon bar before heading home to his nice quiet house that he contentedly shared with his wife. Before he left the diner, he took a mental snapshot of the new and loud faces. Carl planned on discussing them with Debbie. If anyone knew anything about anyone on Liberty, it would be Debbie.

“So you think we should hit the place later this week?” Lex asked hopefully.

“Yeah, the sooner I get out of this town the better, but we gotta be careful. Gus isn’t stupid; he’ll figure it out sooner or later.”

“Keep using that charm of yours, cuz,” Lex snarked.

“You just line up where we can fence the shit we get and leave baby Kinney to me.”

The unscrupulous cousins clinked soda glasses, belched then laughed louder this time, catching the eye of Lacy who had come in to do an early shift.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine, rise and shine!” Brian taunted his partner unmercifully.

“Aw Mom, I don’t wanna go to school,” Justin whined as he buried himself under his pillow until the loud smack and sting of his right butt cheek told him different. “Ow!”

“Up! I have to go into the Pitts today. John has been gone for hours and Bobby has to go back to work. It’s your turn to see to the young’uns.”

“Shit, I forgot about that,” Justin said rubbing his ass as he got out of bed. Brian kissed his sleepy spouse then turned him around to kiss the offended area.

“There’s a fresh pot of coffee in our kitchen with your name on it. Bree is feeding Patrick breakfast and the toasted English muffins are in the warmer. I won’t be late. Ted and Allen are coming up here with Emmett and Drew for the week. I just want to make sure Kinnetik is covered,” Brian explained to Justin.

Justin smiled brilliantly at his thoughtful and all caring spouse. Brian was in full take charge mode, right down to his summer weight Prada business suit.

“I love you,” was all Justin could say. He knew Brian had purposely let him sleep late.

“I know,” Brian smirked. “Later.”

“Later,” Justin replied as he quickly donned his clothes then sped into the bathroom so he could attend to the kids and the day.



*****



“Schmidt!” Brian entered Kinnetik with his inimitable style, scattering artists, ad men and assistants in his wake.

“Yes, Boss,” Schmidt replied, unflustered but giving Brian the expected groveling.

“Why are you here?” Brian asked as he laid his briefcase down on the nearest desk.

“Philosophically speaking, Brian, why are any of us here? Just think of all the millions of elements, the circumstances, the...”

“Thank you, Carl Sagan.” Brian held up his hand to ward off the lecture. “I take it Allen was away with the symphony this weekend and you overdosed on the Science Channel again.” Ted gave Brian a thin lipped smile as he nodded. “Be that as it may, I do believe you’ve been shirking your duties.”

“Shirking his duties?” Cynthia stepped up. She knew how hard Ted worked at the main branch of Kinnetik. “How can you say that?” Cynthia was about to face off with Brian.

“Easily,” Brian replied calmly with an arched brow, well aware of how many pots Ted had his hands in. There were Kinnetik and N’rgy that directly reported to Ted. Part Deux and Perspectives each had their own CFO but consulted with Ted on a weekly basis. Then there were Brian’s other holdings that included Babylon, the bathhouse, the theater and bowling alley. Even though a portion of those profits went to the JKCDC they still lined Brian’s already thick pockets. Then of course there was the Tremont building and now the Village project.

Ted Schmidt had his eyes on it all. And Brian had his eyes on Ted.

“Brian,” Cynthia growled on Ted’s behalf.

“Ted, pack up your shit and get out...” Brian stated calmly.

“Yes, Boss,” Ted said softly.

“BRIAN! You’ve gone too far!” Cynthia was at the ready to defend her co-worker and close friend.

“And enjoy your vacation,” Brian continued without giving Cynthia a glance.

“Vacation! You son-of-a-bitch! You let me go on...” Cynthia was blushing red as Brian folded her into his arms. “You, you asshole!” she murmured against Brian’s chest as Ted and Brian began laughing, as did the rest of the staff. Brian kissed her cheek then apologized.

“It was a last minute thing,” Brian explained. “The Ironmen season won’t start for a few more weeks. The symphony is now on hiatus until the Fall season. Emmett and Drew’s other businesses are running smoothly, so we decided it was a perfect time for the Ted to take off. He says a week; I’m thinking Kinnetik can afford two weeks without his smiling face.”

“I agree. If there’s anyone around here that deserves a vacation, it’s Ted,” Cynthia agreed wholeheartedly.

“So I repeat, why are you here?” Brian asked with his own growl. Cynthia and the rest of the Kinnetik staff who all loved their CFO gazed pointedly at the accountant.

Knowing resistance was beyond futile, Ted packed up whatever he needed, shut down his computer and left the building, bidding all the well-wishers a good day.

“My work here is done!” Brian said smugly then followed Cynthia into her office to get an update.

“How did you ever convince him?” Cynthia asked as she sat at her desk. Brian took a seat across from her.

“It wasn’t easy, he’s almost as stubborn as ...”

“You?”

“I was going to say Justin, but yeah, like me too. I noticed it when he and Allen came up for that little impromptu barbecue we had for Patrick.”

“How is Patrick?”

“Better but the cast stays on for a few more weeks.”

“Poor kid. Broken bones are never good, but during the summer...”

“Yeah, but he’s tough, he can handle it. But not so our Mr. Schmidt. Everyone around us manages to take some time off except for Theodore. I think he works twice as hard as all of us.”

“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney,” Cynthia commented with a hug and a kiss as she came around from her desk.

“That’s enough of that,” Brian grumbled as he batted away her hands. “Bottom line, the four of them are heading up to the cottage later today and we’re going to try to get Ted to stay for two weeks. He can run the empire just as well as I can from his laptop. Although I have it on good authority, Teddy won’t have access to his laptop for several days.” Brian smirked and Cynthia chuckled.

“Where are you planning on hiding it?”

“Under my bed,” Brian retorted. The Kinnetik staff wondered what was so funny as they heard the peals of laughter emanating from Cynthia’s office.

With Kinnetik left in the capable hands of Cynthia, Brian decided to make the rounds before heading back to the cottage.



*****



“Sweetheart!” Debbie said loudly above the diner noise, stopping only to give Brian a kiss as she delivered her breakfast orders. “What brings you here today?” she asked as she poured a cup of coffee when Brian sat at the counter.

“Just making sure my CFO lives up to his promise and takes a vacation,” Brian remarked, as he doctored up his coffee before giving it a sip.

“You’re a good man, kiddo,” Debbie said confidentially. “How long is he going for?”

“He’s promised a week but we’re going to make him take two.”

“He deserves it. He’s been running all around town supervising the gangs’ projects and I heard he’s going to take over Wertshafters.”

“Yes, apparently old man Wertshafter retired years ago and left the business to his son who proceeded to run it into the ground. Even though the old man gave Ted the boot, Ted always had a soft spot for that place. He figures he can buy out the firm for a song and then staff it with whomever he pleases. It’ll be easier for Ted to manage all our businesses from one firm. Why he didn’t think of it sooner, I’ll never know.”

“Maybe cause he’s been so busy helping to take care of us just like you do, he doesn’t take time for himself.”

“Well, Maw, we’re going to change all of that and make the accounting firm of Schmidt a reality! Deb, what’s wrong?” Brian noticed Debbie’s eyes grow moist.

“My boys, all of my boys have done so well for themselves, all grown up.” Debbie patted her eyes dry with a tissue from her pocket. “You don’t need me anymore,” she added with more tears.

“Aw, Maw, we’ll always need you,” Brian reassured the aging waitress. He walked around the counter to give the woman who was a mother to him a hug. “Me, especially,” Brian whispered into a red wigged ear.

“I love you too, kiddo,” Debbie sniffled as she wrapped up a bunch of lemon bars for Brian to take back to the cottage. “Now get out of here so I can get back to work.” Debbie kissed the side of Brian’s cheek, wiped away the smudge of lipstick then gave him a gentle cuff to his ear.

Brian took the bag then headed off to visit his other mother.



*****



“A-hem, am I interrupting?” Brian cleared his throat loudly as he found Joan and Danny huddled closely over a very large volume. Joan raised a brow as Danny jumped.

“No, of course not, Brian,” Danny stuttered quickly. Joan remained stoic. “What brings you over to this side of town?”

“Just thought I’d take my Mom for a cup of coffee, if you can spare her.” Brian nearly glared at the hapless retired drag queen.

“Of course I can spare her. We were just examining this out of print book I managed to find at an auction. Joan remarked that she thought it looked familiar.” Danny gently patted the large book. Brian came closer for a better look.

“I know this book,” Brian murmured. Picking up a spare pair of cotton gloves that Danny had to examine the older books, Brian gingerly opened the book to the center plate. Staring back up at Brian, Joan and Danny was John Aidan Brian Kinney.

“That’s you,” Danny gasped.

“Not me by a long shot. However, he is a long ‘found’ relative of mine.”

“And the blond boy?” Danny easily put two and two together.

“Patrick Taylor, distantly related to my own blond boy. But this is old news,” Brian said then turned his attention to his mother. “Do you have time for that coffee?”

“Yes, I do,” Joan answered sensing there was something else on Brian’s mind than just coffee. “Danny, I won’t be long,” Joan reassured Danny who was still reading about Kinney.

“What is it, Brian?” Joan asked as she sipped her iced tea. It was very hot so they decided to skip the coffee and enjoy iced tea at the Village diner instead.

“Gus! Something’s up and I’m not sure what to do about it,” Brian said pensively. “I think that kid who he met in New York is here.”

“That Cole person?”

“Yes. I don’t trust that kid, but I do trust Gus. I don’t want to forbid Gus from seeing him; he’ll just do it anyway on the sly. We have an open line of communication and I don’t want that to change but I’ve been sticking close to the cottage since Patrick got hurt.”

“How is the boy?”

“He’ll be fine. Bree will see to that. She takes her responsibilities very seriously. But the boy’s moping all the time because he can’t go riding or swimming. I’m afraid that cast is going to be his best friend for the rest of the summer.”

“The poor child.”

“He’ll get over it. But this is a busy time for John. Bobby’s been working on some big cases and Justin’s new show will be opening soon.”

“So that leaves you to look after the children.”

“Which I don’t mind at all but...”

“That leaves Gus to his own devices.”

“Yes, it does. Mom, I hate to ask but since Gus will be working at the store for the remainder of the summer, could you keep an eye on him for me?”

“You want me to spy on my grandson?”

“Yeah, I do. At the very least, be my eyes and ears so I’ll know if he needs me. Lindsay’s just as busy as Justin at the gallery and Melanie is clueless about teenage boys.”

“Brian, everyone is clueless about teenage boys. But I’ll make sure Gus knows he can come to me if he needs to. He’s been very helpful instructing me about computers. I’m even considering buying a basic model for the house. I can e-mail my other grandchildren to stay in touch.”

Brian gazed at his mother in astonishment.

“Not good?”

“Very good. Welcome to the twenty-first century, Mom!” Mother and son finished their iced tea then Brian walked Joan back to the bookshop. Brian kissed his mother and took his leave.



*****



“Hey, Lexy,” Cole whispered loudly into his cell. He was hiding in the alley by the Tremont apartments. “That football guy and his fairy friend just drove off with that accountant guy and some other old geezer. They had suitcases with them. I think our luck has finally changed. I’m gonna see if I can get Gus to tell me if they’ve gone off for a few days then we can get to work. I’m gonna call the kid now and make a ‘date.’ Bet he can’t wait. Yeah, I’ll see you later. If I’m right, dinner’ll be on me tonight. Ha!”

Cole stepped out from the shadows and boldly walked down the street dialing Gus’ cell at the same time. Cautiously, Hunter, who often used the alley door of the apartment house, stepped out of the small alcove and watched as Cole walked away. He quickly made a phone call.

“Liberty Diner, Debbie speaking.”

“Deb, it’s me, Hunter.”

“Hiya, honey, want me to drop off something for you and your doctor for later tonight?”

“What? No, I mean, yeah, sure but that’s not why I called. Is Carl home?”

“Yeah, he should be just getting up, why?”

“I need to talk shop with him.”

“All right, honey, you do that, but be careful. I worry about my boys.”

“I know, Deb. I love you too. See you later.”

“Okay, sweetheart.”

Hunter made sure he was in the clear then walked around the corner to where he parked the aging, but still purring like a kitten, Jeep Cherokee Justin had given him all those years ago. He could well afford a newer model but it just didn’t fit his image as the Hunter-man. Hunter started up the Jeep and drove over to Debbie’s house.