- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 – FULL DISCLOSURE ABOUT MICHAEL AND HAVING STREET SMARTS

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO – AN HOUR LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

“Mom what happened?” I look appalled at the cast on her arm.

 

“I jarred a couple of fingers when I smacked my hand against…”

 

“What?” I demand, following her into the lounge with an equally bemused Brian. We wait for her to get comfortable. “Mom?” I prompt again.

 

“Michael’s mouth.” She replies, grimacing.

 

“Mi-Michael’s mouth? Why Michael’s mouth?”  I look at Brian, who is trying not to smirk.

 

“And my foot connected with his testicles.”

 

Brian outright guffaws at this point. “What on earth for?!”

 

“He lied to Debs and to Ben about something he said…about you Justin.” Brian suddenly stops laughing and shifts in the seat.

 

“What is going on?” I look between them. “Tell me or I will speak to Ben about it. And since he’s kicked Michael out, I’m sure he will tell me. But I would rather hear it from you, please just tell me.”

 

“At the anniversary party he said that I should’ve left you to die, which is why I hit him.”  Brian replies quietly.

 

I feel like my world is tilting and it takes a minute or two for me to say something. “Thank you for telling me. An-and…” The next thing I know, I’m in Brian’s arms and he holds me while I cry. “He really hated, I mean hates me that much.”  I whimper.

 

“But I love you and that’s all that matters. Now, what are we going to do about it?”

 

“I don’t know. Does it serve a purpose to tell people what he actually said? He’s going through…”

 

“Oh come on! You think he wouldn’t take each and every opportunity to throw it in your face?” Mom declares. “Sorry to snap sweetheart, but really he needs to own his fucking mistakes and by saying nothing, he gets to play the victim of Ben’s overreaction.”

 

“How about this...”  I clear my throat and nestle a bit better into his lap. “We only say if we are asked but make it clear to him that I know.” They both nod. “And I don’t want him in any of our homes when I’m there.”

 

“Agreed.” Brian is doing the soothing thing with my hair and I can feel myself relaxing.

 

“Now enough about that nefarious nutjob! What happened in New York?” Mom smirks.

 

By the time we’ve finished telling her about New York, I feel better. Ruth gets out of the car and gapes at mom as she comes to say hello. “What the fuck? I mean…”

 

“Long story…”  She smiles at her.

 

“How are you coping?” She demands.

 

“Luckily, I’m not too busy this week so work is not an issue.”

 

“But everything else is, correct?” She starts to pull out her phone. “It’s Ruth. Do we, I mean you, have the suite free for the next two weeks or so?” She nods and then hangs up. “You need me help you pack?”

 

I was about to say something when my phone goes and its Emmy. I hold it away from my ear as the squeal is heard by almost the entire street! “Where are you?!  Where are you right this second?!” He shouts.

 

“At my mom’s!” I laugh and we head back in the house as Ruth goes to pick him up.

 

An hour later, Ruth is back and Emmy is packing for my mom. Brian is just shaking his head and smiling.

 

EMMY

 

I can’t believe Baby proposed! I am so happy for them! I’m dying to ask what happened to Jennifer’s wrist but quite frankly, I am too excited about the wedding to find out.

 

“Now where are we going?” I ask Ruth as I stretch out along the seat.

 

“Oh, that’s what I meant to ask…” Baby begins.

 

“A friend of mine has a B&B that Jennifer can stay in and be looked after.” Ruth answers.

 

“Same person who you’re sitting for?” Brian asks and she nods.

 

As we drive along, I realise we are coming out of the city. “Oh wow Two Lakes is beautiful.” I sigh. “I’ve always wanted to…” I can’t speak as we pull up in front of what can only be described as a castle.

 

“Jesus!” Baby whispers as he stares and then looks at Brian. “Please? Brian, can we please?”

 

“What’s this place called?” Jennifer asks. “So peaceful and gorgeous.”

 

“Heavenly Retreats. There’s one in New York too. And what is he asking you?” She looks between the two of them.

 

“Here?” I gasp. “You want to get married here?!”

 

“We stayed in the one in New York.” Brian appraises the building. “It was beautiful but not as beautiful as this one. Okay, here it is.”

 

He finds his arms full of Justin and it takes a couple of firm throat clears from Jennifer to get Justin’s attention!

 

“Good afternoon my name is Greg and you must be Jennifer?” She nods. “Well, can you come with me ma’am and I’ll get you settled.”

 

“Wait! My slippers!” I cry out and swiftly take them off and follow.

 

JENNIFER’S SUITE

 

JENNIFER

 

Utterly beautiful. “How much is this going to be?” I turn to Greg.

 

“Mother Taylor, don’t worry about it. You’re staying here that’s the end of it. Greg, can you make sure that all charges for this room are to this card?” Brian tells me imperiously. I should be used to his way by now. It’s still hard sometimes.

 

“Of course, sir. If you could follow me so the pre-approval can be processed.”

 

As they both leave, Justin is looking out of the window and I know he’s dwelling about Michael.

 

“Sweetheart?” He turns to look at me with a small smile. “So when were you going to tell me about you getting married?”

 

“Oh mom! Sorry!” He cries.

 

“Now come on. What’s got you so sad, Justin?” Emmy asks, wrapping his arms around him. Justin looks at me and I nod. We agreed that if he was asked, he’d speak the truth about Michael’s meanness and idiocy.

 

“HE SAID WHAT?!” Emmy shouts and stalks towards the door, only stopping when Justin calls him back. “Do you know the shit Brian went through because of that?!”

 

“Emmy please. Brian is going to speak to him... well I think he is, but I need to concentrate on happier things, like fixing Britin up and that reminds me!” He grabs his phone and makes a call. “Hi, Ben, it’s Justin. I’m great. Is Hunter there? Hey, you busy right now? I have a favour to ask about Britin. As in will you help me sort it out?  You will? Oh great! Actually, what are you guys doing right now? Hang on a sec…Emmy, can you find Ruth for me please?” He nods and heads out of the room. “We’re going to send Ruth to pick you up. You need to see where we’re going to get married. Ouch! Fuck Hunter! That was my eardrum.  Okay, see you soon.”

 

Brian comes in with Ruth and Justin catches them both up and grinning as she heads out.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – 40 MINUTES LATER

 

HUNTER

 

Dad has told me about Ruth and how she house and dog sits for a friend and is a chauffeur.  But when I meet her, the first thing I think is bullshit! I call bullshit. As much as I love my dad, he is completely clueless about looking at the true person. He married the idiot after all.

 

She’s wearing a classic Rolex man’s watch and diamond earrings. There is no way in fuck that you get to have them as a house and dog sitter and a chauffeur! As we get in the car, dad is engulfed by two French Bulldogs.

 

“Okay down! For the love of heaven, down! Ruth help!” He laughs as he is licked and slobbered over.

 

“Sit!” She orders and their asses are down instantly. The one thing that dogs know is who the leader of the pack is. And she is the leader. A dog sitter is not a leader! Naturally, they follow us up to Jennifer’s suite.

 

JENNIFER’S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

Ben is incredulous and just stares at me. “Married and he proposed?”

 

“Yep.” I laugh.

 

“Does Michael know?” He asks warily.

 

“Yeah. He bitched about Justin being insensitive about announcing it when he’s going through so much trauma. He completely forgets it was all his own doing. But enough about the... what did you call him Mother Taylor? Oh wait, nefarious nutjob. Mel begged for JR to be a flower girl.”

 

“She’s not even walking yet!” Jennifer laughs. “How the hell is she going to hold the basket?”

 

There is a knock at the door and Greg comes in. “Do you guys want to order food here or in the restaurant?”

 

“Definitely here!” Justin wiggles in his seat, which is a little unfortunate as he’s sitting in my lap. I have to move him!

 

“Go sit over there.” I order and he smirks as he sashays to his seat.

 

“Have you told Daph yet?” Emmy asks.

 

“Oh shit!” Justin leaps up and makes the call. She screams louder than Emmy and insists we come see her next weekend.

 

Hunter is hunting in his bag for something. “You okay?” Ben asks.

 

“I don’t have one of my pills.” He explains. “I should be fine though as long as I have it by seven but it needs to be taken with food.”

 

“Wait a second, I’ll be back.” Greg tells us and ten minutes later, he’s back with Ruth and after explaining the situation, she looks at her watch and leaves. We look at each other in confusion before she comes back in 15 minutes in full leathers.

 

“You trust me?” She asks and Ben nods. “Okay, need your keys and to know where your pills are.”

 

“Oh fuck that!” Hunter stands up. “You need to get another helmet!”

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – 30 MINUTES LATER

 

HUNTER

 

That was the most awesome thing I have ever done! Okay, I held on for dear life and kept my eyes closed for most of it but it was so cool!

 

She waits in the corridor while I get my pills and when I come down, she is texting on the latest iPhone!

 

“Okay, what’s your deal?” I ask and she looks up at me but says nothing. “I was a hustler so I know who is a good guy or a bad guy. You’re a good guy but I don’t understand why you are lying about who you are.”

 

“I’m not lying. My name is Ruth and…”

 

“Who’s your friend?” I try another tact. “The one you sit for?”

 

She regards me for a while before sticking out her hand. “My name is Ruth Masterson and I own Heavenly Retreats and AngelCars.”

 

“And…”

 

“I’ve known Brian for years. We only just reconnected, as in being in the same place. And I really, really don’t like your other dad.”

 

“I don’t think he was ever really my dad. I think he went along with it because it was what Ben wanted.” I sit down on the stairs. “And after the bombing when he got to speak and be the big I am, he got all swell headed as Emmy says. That’s why I had to leave.”

 

“And now?” She sits down next to me.

 

“I’m glad that they have split up but I’m afraid that dad will retreat and become hermit, like because, all he’s known is him. And…”

 

“He’s worn him down?”

 

“Yeah.” I sigh. “He can fight back when I’m here but…”

 

“Hunter, one of the things you need to do when we get back, actually two, is not mention that you’ve worked me out to anyone else and ask Justin or Brian about that tooth.”

 

“Tooth?” I look at her.

 

“Yeah tooth. Now come on, we’ve got to get you back and fed.”

 

I don’t normally trust people like that. But there is just something about Ruth that makes me think she’s going to make everything be okay.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks