- Text Size +

CHAPTER 15 - THE HITS KEEP COMING

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - NEXT DAY

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

There is no fucking way I’m apologising to them! Lindsay is on the phone to a friend who’s gone through this herself. I still can't believe what happened last night. “Well what did she say?”

 

Lindsay leans back looking thoughtful. “She’s said we have the right to see our children. But we have to wait and if she continues to behave this way, then we bring in the authorities.  I don't want to wait.  We need our children with us. They need to know that we are serious! And the first people we call is the police to report Mel for assault. She slapped you, didn't she?”

 

I smile and then yelp when she slaps me really hard! “What the fuck?!”

 

“It had faded.” She explains. “Now to the police and child services.”

 

“And we need to get Boy Wonder’s bitchy mother arrested too as she hit me, knocking out my tooth.  Then she kicked me in the nuts.”

 

“Yeah doing that will get their attention!” Lindsay crows and we start to make calls.

 

COURT & STONE ATTORNEYS - SAME TIME

 

MARLON COURT’S OFFICE

 

MARLON

 

“Hey got a minute?” Nero my PA asks and I nod. “Remember Melanie Marcus?”

 

“Oh yeah, real passionate about gay rights. What about her?”

 

“Before you joined, she had some papers placed in trust; she wants to rescind and amend a particular clause.” He hands them to me and I smile at his expression. “Which one and why are you looking so pleased.

 

“Because I was here when she and her partner came in to sign it.  To say she was pissed and determined was an understatement. Look at sub-clause 6D.”

 

“Holy fuck! And her partner agreed to that in the first place?!”

 

“Oh she was more than happy.  In fact she was borderline smug.”  He scowls.  “She waived, literally, the cooling off period.  Okay to prep?”

 

“Yep, but I want to serve. I’ve always liked her; her partner not so much. Whenever I’ve seen them about socially, she always acted like Mel was a stop gap until she moved onto what she wanted.”

 

“No problem.”

 

57TH PRECINCT - AN HOUR LATER

 

CARL

 

The first thing I did when I got the call was find out where Mel was. She’s been in court since early this morning. Then I phone Debs to see where Jennifer is. She didn’t know but would get her to call me immediately. I can't believe, actually I can believe they are doing this. Spoilt brats, the pair of them!  

 

“Horvath. Oh hi Jennifer, if you’re not there can you go back to your residence and stay there? Great. It will become clear but whatever you do don’t speak to anyone until I get there.”

 

I speak to the desk sergeant then go to watch his interview. Once his statement is done, he walks out. Sighing I turn to my captain. “What do you think?”

 

“You go, take another officer with you for Mrs Taylor’s statement. Don't worry Carl. It’s obvious there's nothing but maliciousness here.”

 

Heaving a sigh of relief, I grab the nearest officer and head to Jennifer’s. Two hours later, the file is closed and they are about to get a visit!

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - 45 MINUTES LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

I open the door to a police officer and another person. “Ms Peterson... Lindsay Peterson?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“My name is Officer Stewartson and this is Regina Bell from child services. May we come in?” I step aside and lead them to the lounge. “This won’t take long. It’s in regards to the concerns raised with the welfare of your son Gus Marcus-Peterson?”  

 

“Yes.” I keep the concerned look on my face.  

 

“We’ve spoken to Ms Marcus on the phone after your complaint and she confirmed that your son is in the safe care of the nursery that he’s always attended. An officer was dispatched to ascertain the truth of that and he came away satisfied.”

 

What?! I thought Justin was looking after him!

 

“I-I wasn’t aware of that. We’re currently separated and she’s not allowed me to see him.”

 

“Ah.  How long have you been separated?”

 

“Only recently. The last few days.”

 

“I see. As mentioned, Ms Marcus was in court but has now attended the station. Could you answer a couple of questions for me before we go?” Regina asks.

 

“Of course.”

 

“You were recently looking after your children following your suspension from work, can you tell me why you stopped?”

 

“Because we separated.”

 

“But how would that preclude you from looking after your children? You have a place of residence. Surely you could’ve arranged with Ms Marcus to have your children here?”

 

“I could’ve but I’ve only just moved in here, as of yesterday morning.” I bluster. This is not supposed to be going this way!

 

“I see and did you advise Ms Marcus of your new location?”

 

“In the evening when I went to see her with the father of my other child as already mentioned.”

 

“Doesn’t your phone work?”

 

“Yes. It does but…”

 

“But your primary concern, as you’ve expressed in your statement, is your children.  I don’t see that concern when you didn’t feel the need to tell Ms Marcus where you were living immediately. Or when you turn up to see Ms Marcus after your children have gone to bed.  Did you forget their bed times too?  This separation is permanent, correct?” 

 

“It would seem so…”

 

“That’s the impression I got from Ms Marcus.  She mentioned that you don’t have all of your possessions with you and she is going to contact you to collect the rest of your possessions, is that correct?”

 

“Yes, that’s what she said when she threw me out. But what I don’t understand is why I’m being spoken to in this manner?” I bridle.

 

“Because this smacks of maliciousness and we take that very seriously, Ms Peterson.”  Regina retorts sharply. “Ms Marcus has provided evidence of her propriety with regards to both children. She has not stopped you, either of you, from seeing the children. I will be making a note of this complaint on both of your filesAs regards to Ms Marcus, we consider this matter against her closed.”  I can’t believe this!

 

“Closed? Our files?  But…”

 

Officer Stewartson interrupts. “And I would advise you to think very carefully before you say anything else, Ms Peterson.  Well until Mr Novotny gets home, as I suspect you and he will have a lot to discuss.  Good day ma’am.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

Fuming! I’m fucking fuming! I have just been told in no uncertain terms that they don’t believe me about Mel because the injuries look fresher than it would for being hit a couple of days ago and Mel has been in court since eight this morning. Also it’s a dead end with Boy Wonder’s psycho mother, as she has pleaded mitigating circumstances. And because I didn’t report either crime until after we were removed from the house, they are saying we’re trying to waste their time!

 

And all of this was said in front of Boy Wonder! I insisted that he stay to hear about his mother and now he’s just looking at me, with something like pity.

 

“Well that didn’t go so well, did it?” He laughs and I so want to smack him! I ignore the call from Lindsay. “So what I wanted to talk to you about is the selling of this store. An auditor will be in next week to assess it. We want a quick sale and it will include all inventory.”

 

“All inventory? What the hell does that mean? Some of the stuff in here are my personal belongings…”

 

“Which you listed under the partnership with Kin…”

 

“There is no partnership with Kinnetic; the partnership is between me and Brian!”

 

“What I was going to say, if you would let me finish, the partnership is between Kinney-Taylor Enterprises and yourself…”

 

“Kinney-Taylor Enterprises? Who the fuck are they?!”

 

“Another personal partnership between me and Brian. Not that this is any of your concern but we have pooled all our assets and own everything jointly. So if there if there is anything you want to retain…”

 

“I’ll just take it, since they are mine, since childhood.”

 

“Once more and you need to really listen, Mr Novotny…. Taking something without the permission of the other person who owns it is called stealing. Surely you don’t want to add to your charges?”

 

“Look Boy Wonder, you won’t get away with this!  Brian will come to his senses and when he does it will be your ass that’s out of here as it should’ve been the day after he fucked you!”

 

“Temper-temper Michael, you’re beginning to sound threatening. I assume that was what you were aiming for?” He gathers his bag, much like he did when he found out I told on his affair and smirks. “Yeah I know what you’re thinking Michael, but it’s you who is gone!”

 

COURT & STONE ATTORNEY’S - FRIDAY EVENING

 

MARLON

 

I’ve just got off the phone with Mel and all I can say is good on her. She may have had her reasons at the time, but it was a very bitchy thing to do, but she’s done the right thing now. On Sunday, I will deliver the news and then the screaming will start, I suspect!

 

DEBS & CARL’S HOUSE - EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

We’re just about to start lunch when the door knocks. I know it’s not Marlon but I have a good idea of who it is! Carl opens the door and they come to a surprised halt when they see us all gathered around.

 

“I see which side you’ve chosen Ma…”

 

“If you mean the side of honesty and decency, then yes that’s the side I’ve chosen.  Now you are welcome to stay and eat. Then perhaps we discuss what’s happening calmly. But if you can’t do that, leave now!” Debs responds. “What’s it going to be?”

 

They waver for a bit before approaching the table to sit down. There’s a space next to Ems and one on the other side next to Ben. Blake moves around so that they are sitting next to each other next to Ems. He doesn’t look pleased but says nothing.

 

“Where are Gus and JR?” Lindsay asks. “I would like to see them.”

 

“They have a playdate, with Marie’s kids, which you arranged.”

 

“Oh yes, I had forgotten that.” She replies smoothly. “Perhaps I can…”

 

“Allow me to remind you that you arranged for Marie to drop them off at my house at six. It would be churlish to change this at such a late stage.  Why not follow me back and you can see them for an hour before they go to bed? You can even bathe them if you like.”

 

There is a quick flicker of what the fuck across Brian’s face but he says nothing.

 

“So Hunter, what were you saying earlier about helping Baby at Britin?” Ems is shit stirring as only he can.

 

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. But I’m also going to be working at AngelCars with Ruth at the same time as a driver/courier. That motorbike is awesome!”

 

“That’s great son!” Carl raises his glass to him. “So that should carry up until you restart school, right?”

 

“Yeah, just waiting for the papers to come through. Then I’ll be at Carnegie and pretending that he’s not my dad when I see him in the corridor!”

 

“Just think of Michael and you’ll be fine.” Blake mutters and everyone looks at him in surprise. “What? I don’t like him and I’m not going to be nicey-nicey now that I don’t have to be. I’m also on the side of honesty and decency, remember?”

 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ted look so proud.

 

“Well since Blake has talked about the elephant in the room…”  Carl snickers slightly.  “What you guys tried to do was borderline illegal... and you have me to thank for not being arrested or officially cautioned. The problems between the four of you have been caused by you two…”

 

Ems sighs angrily. “And what did they do?”

 

“Lindsay called child services on Mel and Michael tried to have her arrested for assault. He tried to get Jennifer arrested, as well.”

 

“You are kidding me right?” Ems growls, moving his chair a bit further away. “What is wrong with you two?!”  

 

“So you told tales, did you?” Michael sneers, staring hatefully at Justin, who in turn, just rolls his eyes.

 

“Michael!  It was Carl who was speaking, not Justin!” Debs snaps.”

 

“Well your precious Justin is selling the comic book store from under me!” He snaps back.

 

“We, not he. He is representing the both of us here.” Brian’s corrects tartly.  “Michael, Justin told me what you said about the childhood toys.  So we had the locks changed this morning.  You will get your keys tomorrow from the auditor when he arrives about nine o’clock to take an inventory.”

 

“Wow.” Debs sits back. “Why?”

 

“After all that’s happened I, I mean we...” Brian smiles at Justin, who grins back at the correction. “We don’t want any unnecessary ties with Mr Novotny.”

 

“Unnecessary ties? How can you be so dismissive?!” Lindsay gasps.

 

“The same way he was so cruel and remains unapologetic.”  Brian retorts.   

 

“So JR isn’t going to be your goddaughter, then?” Michael sounds stunned and hurt.

 

“That depends on you. She shouldn’t miss out because of your actions.  Okay, she most probably won’t know what the hell is going on but she’s going to look cute!”

 

The door goes and Carl get up to answer. “Uh yeah, she’s right over there.” He lets Marlon in and points at me.  

 

“Marlon, thank you for coming. Did you find it easily?” I greet him with a kiss on both cheeks.

 

“Yeah no problem. So which one is he?” Everyone looks confused and worried.

 

“The redhead next to the blonde.” I keep my voice as calm as I can.

 

“Mr Kinney, may I have a word with you and only you please?” Brian looks at me and I look away. “Is there somewhere we can discuss this in private?”  

 

Brian stands and indicates that he should follow him outside. The room goes quiet and Justin tries to catch my eye but I won’t look at him. Twenty agonising minutes later, Marlon comes back in. “It’s done. It just needs filing.” He turns to look at Justin. “Can you go to him, please?” Justin is up and out in a flash. “Well Mel, I’ll see you around, I hope.”

 

“Marlon? Marlon from Court & Stone? I thought I recognised you. It’s Lindsay. Mel’s…”

 

“Yes I know. Like I said, see you around, Mel. I think the next event is on the 27th. You going?”

 

“Oh yes, I’ll be there!” I smile and see him out.  

 

Just as I sit down, Brian and Justin come back in. They both have red eyes and look shocked.

 

“Mel, I can’t believe you’ve done this.”  Brian looks at me with an awed expression.

 

“Believe it. I took onboard some things and like Blake, I’m on the side of honesty and decency. I’m sorry it was ever in. Truly.”

 

“What? What has she done?!”  Ems demands, his eyes filled with tears and worry.

 

“Given him his full rights to Gus back.” Justin whispers. “She’s given them back.”

 

“What does that mean exactly?” Hunter asks.

 

“It means that all three of us have equal say in the upbringing of Gus. And when he marries Justin, he will have the same rights too.”

 

“Why have you done that?!” Lindsay shouts.  

 

“Because the sub-clause I put in originally was fucking nasty and you knew that when you agreed to it Lindsay!  I have rescinded it and put this one in.”

 

She looks like she’s going to be sick. “You can’t do this, Mel!”

 

“Why not? He’s changed and has always supported Gus. He gave up his rights to save you from marriage to a Frenchman, whose work Visa was running out, for heaven sake! That would have resulted in jail time! I don’t see what your problem is. This is exactly what you’ve always wanted; Brian as the father. Well now he is in every sense of the word! Correction, they will be! And the first thing we all need to discuss is the support payments. The current funds need to be moved to a separate account that can only be accessed with two signatures. One from the mother and one from the father, and all future payments put into that. Ben, Michael the same applies to you.  Everything has to be clear cut as it should’ve been in the first place. Now, can everyone charge their glasses to honesty and decency?!”

 

“Well fuck me! Mel I’m so proud of you.” Carl laughs, alongside Debs. “To honesty and decency!”

 

Lindsay and Michael are just sitting there stupefied before she shakily reaches for her glass.  

 

I take a hearty sip and then turn to Ted. “Can you let Lindsay know how much money she needs to transfer to you when the support account is opened? You’ve got the spreadsheet, right? I think I have every payment.”

 

“Yeah I did. There were a couple missing but it’s easily amended.” He turns his shark like smile on Lindsay. “The account will be opened by the end of the week. I’ll furnish you with the details and the money must be in the account by close of business on Friday.”

 

She just nods but her hand is still shaking. Justin blows me a kiss and mouths thank you so much.  

 

 

Yeah Lindsay, you weren’t expecting that, were you? I wonder what your next move is going to be.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks