- Text Size +

CHAPTER 19 - CLINGING ONTO THEIR DELUSIONS...UNTIL SHE DESTROYS THEM

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - MONDAY LUNCHTIME

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

After last night’s clusterfuck, we’re still trying to digest the change in Brian’s personality. He has to have been hypnotised! That must be it because the old Brian would never have treated or spoken to us like that!

 

“Do you think it’s true?” Lindsay looks up at me. “That they’re married, I mean? No, hear me out for a minute. Where are their rings? Who gets wedding watches? I think he’s winding us all up and the real marriage is in a couple of months’ time.”

 

“But why?” She twists her mouth in puzzlement.

 

“Why do you think? Boy Wonder’s ego! He asked him, remember? So what if he tried to persuade him to get married while they were away and Brian said no because of Gus, and of course, us!

 

“Of course!” Lindsay crows. “And we fell for it! Oh, let’s go along shall we and be supportive etc.”

 

“And as for Ruth’s comments...”  I laugh. “As if he would do it with her!”

 

“Exactly! And you know what else? No date for the blessing ceremony. He doesn't lie. But he does, for fuck alone knows what reason, want to keep Boy Wonder about. But with Rathman show coming soon that will change. In fact, I need to place a call. I got him to do one show; I can get him to do the other two with some...oh now, how's that for fortuitous coincidence?” She smiles as her phone rings. “Sidney?”

 

She lets it ring for a bit longer. “Sidney, good afternoon. I’m okay, yourself? Good. Yes I can come and see you this afternoon anytime. Okay, see you at four.”

 

“What's happening then?” I have to smile as she looks very cheerful.

 

“Wants to see me. Seems someone may have to eat humble pie and I fully intend to serve him a big slice! You expecting anyone?” She asks as the doorbell rings.

 

“No, want coffee?”

 

“Yes please.”

 

As I pour coffee for us both, I hear her voice rising. So I go to see what is happening.

 

“What’s going on?” I ask as removal men start unloading boxes.

 

“Mel has sent my things and Ben has sent yours.” She spits. “Well fuck that! We’re not going to react like they want us to. We’ll just send our thanks and that’s it.”

 

“Ben? No, more likely it was Hunter. He’s always been jealous of our relationship. And now that JR is my sole focus, he’s poisoning Ben against me. Him and Emmett setting him up on that date, for example.”

 

We just shake our heads at the behaviour of those two, who are supposed to be parents!

 

THE LOFT

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian is attempting to make a soufflé, but I’m distracting him by thrusting my fingers up his ass and stroking his cock at the same time. “You’re whisking when you should be folding.”

 

He lets out a groan. “Wh-what’s the difference?”

 

“The cutting through the mixture and the speed. Tell you what, you keep in rhythm with me.” I slow my thrusting and stroking. “When I stroke your cock, plunge the spatula gently into the mixture and when I touch you right here…”

 

“Daaaammmnnn.” He growls and his legs tremble with an effort to stay upright.

 

“Then fold the mixture gently back over itself. The trick is not to over beat.”

 

He looks over his shoulder at me, his eyes smouldering with lust. I nod my head in the direction of the bowl. He turns back and I kiss the middle of his back and start to stroke as he tightens his grip on the handle.

 

“That's it, plunge in and now fold.” I stand on my tiptoes so it changes the angle of my fingers and he presses back against me as I flick his slit.

 

“Ch-Christ!” He throws his head back, the folding temporarily forgotten.

 

“Concentrate on lunch or…” I start to pull my fingers out.

 

“Co-concen-tr-trating.” He grinds out, forcing his hand to move.

 

I place sucking kissing down his spine and get on my knees.

 

“Oh whoa! C-can’t do this and you do that at the s-s-same time.”

 

“You can…” I call softly up to him. “You’re Brian Taylor-Kinney, the Legendary but Abdicating Stud of Liberty Avenue. Now turn around…”

 

His indelicate snort has me looking up. “Little difficult with your fingers where they are…”

 

“Good point…” I slide them slowly out and his legs shake with the effort of holding off. “Such superb control.”

 

“Only for you. But hurry up twat, the mixture is going down.”

 

“As long as that’s the only thing, then that’s fine. Spread your legs for me, hold the bowl in the crook of your elbow and keep in rhythm.” I order and wait for him to get the bowl in position.

 

At the same time as I swallow him down, I reinsert my fingers, slowly opening him up.

 

“Y-you never said...oh fuck!” He lets out a gutsy groan and the spatula rattles against the bowl. I stop as he takes a couple of breaths, before nodding for me to continue.  

 

As I swirl my tongue around his bulbous head, the only sounds to be heard are of him folding the mixture and his whimpering. He starts to thrust his hips but I pull my fingers out a fraction.

 

“S-sorry but...can this p-please be done? Don’t think…”

 

The bowl flies out of his hands as I thrust and suck hard at the same time. “Holy mother of Christ!” He reaches down and tangles his hands in my hair so he takes control and starts to thrust his hips. “You w-wonderful m-man. Oh god yes! Like that! Let me... do it like that!”

 

I relax my throat and he slides down deeper. His whole body is shaking and he’s almost pulling my hair out.  

 

“Unnnnh! Nowwwww!” He yells and clamps down on my fingers and throbs in my throat. I can’t help it but I come seconds afterwards, spraying all over his ankles. As I withdraw my fingers, he slides out of my mouth before dropping to his knees to kiss me and taste himself.

 

“What’s wrong? What is it?” I pull his trembling body into my arms and kiss away his tears.

 

“Nothing, everything is perfect. But next time you make the soufflé.”

 

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY

 

BEN’S OFFICE

 

BEN

 

I can’t help but laugh and call Mel. “Did you get a text from Lindsay? How it must have hurt to type that! It goes against their very nature of spitting and spewing venom while stomping their feet. So what was her face about yesterday? Seems every time you mentioned clothes or bags, she seemed to twitch...”

 

I listen disgusted, but unsurprised, by her behaviour. She and Michael have the same grasping mindset. “I’ve just had a thought about the store. I paid part of his mortgage. Do you think I would be...you do? Well no, I paid the mortgage. He never contributed. Yes, I can prove that I paid it to him. So send it to Ted? Okay, thanks Mel. And don’t be surprised if you get more texts during the run up to the Boys’ Weekend!”

 

I pull up my bank statements and start to prepare an email to Ted. Two hours later, he emails me back. There’s going to be an auction of their collectibles and they will pay me back from his share. He’ll be delighted to hear that!

 

BLOOM GALLERY - LATE AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

I turn up just a minute late for my appointment with Sidney. Cameron, our PA, greets me slightly coldly.

 

“Sidney won't be long.”

 

Just as I’m about to sit down, his office door opens. “Ah, Lindsay come in.”

 

I take a seat opposite and smile at him. “As you know Lindsay, I hold you personally in high regard, which is why I thought it was better this way. I didn’t want you to have to do this in front of your former colleagues.

 

Former colleagues?! And do what?!

 

“I had Cameron go through your desk and clear everything out. So if you could look through it all to make sure everything you own is there... Obviously, we took the business cards and anything that seemed like it belonged to Bloom. But if you feel it doesn’t, then we can look through it together. Also, we would need the laptop and cell returned immediately. And I believe that you have some slides from the last project on Post-Modernism; we would need them at the same time. Take your time…” He indicates a large box on the table.

 

This was not what I expected him to call me in for! I head to the box and look through it. My years here have been broken down to some paltry things. As I check it carefully, my mind goes back to how things were before he stopped listening and didn’t do as he was told!

 

“Lindsay?” I look up startled to find Sidney standing next to me. “I asked you why you did what you did.”

 

I sigh. “Justin is wasting his talent here…” I begin.

 

“Not Justin. Why single out Miles? He’s already had a show in Boston. That’s why Rathman asked for him.”

 

“He did? When was that?” He looks incredulously at me. “What? I didn’t know about him. He’s not really my genre.” I reply in as blasé a tone as I can muster.

 

“Renaissance Expressionism is no longer your genre? I am surprised. But then again, people’s tastes change all the time. I still don’t understand why you messed with Miles’ career if you didn’t know anything about him. Did you just pick him out of the hat or…”

 

“Miles, of course! Yes, I remember now. It wasn’t so much as picked but like you said he already had a show. His works, while very good, aren’t the calibre of Justin’s and…”

 

“Well it’s in the past now. Can I have the cell, please?”

 

“Now? But I have my private numbers on it!” I exclaim. “I would need to go through it. And then there’s…”

 

“The emails and business contacts remain the property of Bloom Gallery. So you would need to go through it with Cameron or you could keep the phone and pay us the market value for it. Obviously, the emails and business contacts would still be removed. Which would you prefer? It shouldn’t cost that much since it’s an older version and we’ve recently upgraded.”

 

“I’ll go through it with Cameron. Shall I schedule that time with him and then bring it in with the laptop?”

 

“No. Your previous position meant you were privy to sensitive information. Sadly, you proved just how you would use it. We need to protect our clients and ourselves.”

 

“But Sidney…” I begin in a placating tone. “You know me. I made one mistake and…”

 

“I thought I knew you and you made two mistakes. Now Cameron is waiting for you.”

 

I pick up my box and head out to speak to Cameron but turn back to Sidney. “You know Justin is doing the Rathman show? But it’s only one, which is silly really.”

 

“He’s doing all three of them.” Seems over the weekend, he had a change of heart. Goodbye Lindsay.”

 

Two hours later, I’m rushing to meet Michael at Woody’s. I cannot wait to tell him what Sidney’s told me. For once, Michael is right! They are not married. No fucking way would they get married and then he go away for months! Especially since they’re monogamous...Brian couldn't hack it!

 

WOODY’S

 

LINDSAY

 

I wave at Michael and he has ordered the drinks as I asked. “Well, what’s got you looking like the cat who’s got the cream?”

 

“You were right!” I clink his bottle. “About them not being married. Justin is doing all three Rathman shows.” He starts to smile. “Because the third show involves a three month residency and a show in California! Can you imagine them being married and being monogamous? As if, especially Brian!”

 

“And Boy Wonder will cheat on him again!” He points out, clinking my glass.

 

“Here’s to getting Brian back! Okay, so I lost my job at Bloom but it was worth it for the greater good. Justin will be where he needs to be on the world stage and…” I trail off as he’s glaring behind me. So I turn around to see who he’s looking at. It’s Ruth and she’s with Emmett.

 

“She needs to be had a word with, too!” He hisses about Ruth. “In fact, why don’t we book her now?” I nod and he calls the office. Voicemail, he mouths at me.

 

The expression on his face changes from smug to stormy. Then he hangs up and swears.

 

“What's wrong?” I ask as she and Emmett move out of sight.

 

“Office is closed. If you want to arrange a pick up, please contact your assigned driver directly!” He parrots.

 

“So what’s the problem? Let’s go and contact her directly. I think she and Emmett went to the other side of the bar. Come on!”

 

We take our drinks and make our way through the crowd. At first, we can't find them but then I hear his familiar laugh. As we approach the table, we’re surprised to find Hunter and Carl with them.

 

“Ruth.” She looks up at me with contempt. “We’d like for you to take us home in the next half an hour. So I would suggest you make that your last.”

 

The table goes quiet and all eyes turn to her as she slowly stands and then looks at the guy approaching the table next to her. “Excuse me, what’s the strongest drink you got there?” He raises one glass and hands Hunter some money “Can he get you another and I have that one?”

 

The guy looks at Emmett. “She good for it?”

 

“Yeah.” Emmett tells him and he hands her the drink and she turns back to us.

 

“Well, you need to speak to Mr Taylor-Kinney or Mr Taylor-Kinney with regards to your status with their account. But they have said that I can tell you to fuck off, eat shit and die with regards to you coming anywhere near my cars.”

 

“How dare you speak to us like that?!” Michael barks. “Wait till Brian hears about the way you’ve spoken to us!”

 

“He won’t care. Especially since I got him married…”

 

“You got him what?” Emmett gasps. “Explain, Lucy!”

 

“I was driving them to the airport and they were bitching about how people kept interfering and offering their opinions or other such shit.” She looks at us scathingly. “So I merely pointed out that it’s them getting married; so they should just get married in New York. They just needed a judge, 24 hours and a licence. So that’s what they got. The wedding brunch was great. Though you were a great help, Lindsay.”

 

“What do you mean?” I demand confused.

 

“Well because of your insistence on trying to send Justin to New York all the time, he got a place there, which Daphne lives in. Oh and by he, I really mean they. So that took care of the residence part and…” She starts to laugh. “How desperate must you be to cling on to the very slim hope that they’re not married but trust me they are. I’ve seen the licence. Although you won’t unless you’re in the loft or at Britin. Or even on the non-existent chance that you’re invited to the ceremony. You see, the thing with them being married is that they don’t need your permission to bring Gus to the ceremony as he is their son. It will be three parents against one. You will continue your losing streak.”

 

“And that goes for you too, daddy!” Hunter looks Michael up and down. “I’m looking forward to the weekend. Just Mel, Ben, me and JR bonding as a unit. Yeah, looking forward to that. Ben will actually get to hold her!”

 

“So how was your day, Lindsay?” She asks, taking me, and judging by the frowns, everyone else, by surprise.

 

“Fine. Why do you ask?”

 

“You sure? You sure you didn’t take delivery of all your personal effects and scream like a fishwife on your parents’ front steps as box after box was unloaded onto their lawn. Wherever are you going to put it all? And how was your meeting with Sidney? I bet you swanned in there thinking you’re the... now what was the phrase I heard you say about someone, Michael? Oh yes, the big I am but you ended up like the big am not. Because you didn’t get your job back like you anticipated…”

 

“He had…” I protest as Emmett and Carl laugh. They fucking laugh!

 

“Who had? Who told me? You see the advantage to being me and being liked is that people talk to me. The disadvantage of you two of being you two and disliked is that people talk to me about you and with great relish. Your Schadenfreude Stock is high. And Michael your squash is coming...don’t think you’ve got away with fucking over Ben the way you did! He’s finally grown a set and he’s coming a-calling.” She regards me again taking a sip of her drink. “It’s killing you, isn’t it? You have an itch to throw that over me and this absolutely fabulous suede coat but you daren’t because you know damn full well how much it cost and that I will come after you for it to be cleaned with everything I’ve got. And I’ve got a lot! You have no idea how much.”

 

I drain my glass and place it on the table. “Are you finished?” I ask her tartly.

 

“No, just one other thing. Brian has a mole just above his pubic bone on his right side. And he curves a little to the right. You remember those, don’t you? I know it was only once and you were drunk but you’ve been riding, pardon the pun, on it ever since. I just thought I would confirm that with you.”

 

“I’m not dignifying that with an answer!” I snap.

 

“You just did.” Emmett laughs before looking up at her. “To the right, you say?”

 

“Uh huh, just a wee bend.” She smirks.

 

“Now we’re done.” She sits back down and drains her glass before reaching in her pocket for keys. “Det. Horvath, you are charged with doing your duty and driving us home. Well to my place, where Emmy and I are going to finish off that truly scrumptious bottle of Barolo. If you’re gonna get red wine teeth, you might as well go big!”

 

“Which one did you bring?” He grins like a schoolboy.

 

“The classic Merc. I don’t mind them sitting on it around here. It’s actually quite sweet. One of the LQs when she perches actually takes her shoes off…”

 

LQ?” Carl asks.

 

“Leather Queen sweetie.” Emmett drains his glass and then looks at us. “And you two are waiting for...ooh Debs, over here!”

 

Debs comes over and I wince as I see that my bag already has a scratch on it. “What a godawful fucking day!” She sighs, sinking into the seat Hunter gives up for her.

 

“Don’t you need to be sober in the morning? As a chauffeur…” I begin to lecture.

 

“I have a job to be on holiday from...unlike you.” She retorts.

 

“Okay, you two unless there is anything else, I want to take my family home and there is no room for you...in the car.” Carl tells us and Hunter helps Debs up, grumbling that she’s just sat down and they head out leaving us standing there.

 

INSIDE THE CLASSIC MERC

 

HUNTER

 

Now that I have finished laughing, I have to ask. “How did you know about Brian and you know?”

 

“How do you think I know?” Ruth stretches her back.

 

My jaw drops. “You mean you were…”

 

“No! Oh for heaven sake, Justin told me! Jesus, I thought you were smart?! Best not to let Carmine know you can be naïve or he will have you for breakfast!” She laughs, resting her feet in Emmy’s lap.

 

“Carmine?!” Grandma whips her head around from the front seat. “Who’s Carmine? Why am I only hearing about a Carmine now?!”

 

“Ruth!” I groan as grandma turns to face me.

 

“Well?!” She demands.

 

“He works with me and will be teaching Hunter the ropes.” She laughs at my embarrassment. “Especially what it feels like to have a BMW throbbing between your legs.”

 

“Oh I bet he will!” Grandma cackles.

 

“I think she means BMW as in the motorbike, not that Big Man’s Willy.” Emmy hoots with laughter. “Although, I think Hunter wouldn’t mind both.”

 

“Seriously, someone tell me about Carmine!” Grandma demands.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks